[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What places would make for good bases for a group of cyberpunks?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 13

What places would make for good bases for a group of cyberpunks?
>>
File: 1336670249897.jpg (61KB, 563x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1336670249897.jpg
61KB, 563x1000px
>>49898646
So far I've got:

>abandoned oil rig
>abandoned shopping mall
>former state armory
>university hacker collective
>library basement
>nondescript office park for bankrupt tenant
>back rooms of a bar
>>
>>49898646
4chan
>>
>>49898646
Mom's basement
>>
File: 2016-Victory-Vegas-8-Ball5.jpg (203KB, 2016x1134px) Image search: [Google]
2016-Victory-Vegas-8-Ball5.jpg
203KB, 2016x1134px
>Old gas station converted to chop shop
>Textile/trade warehouse as a front for cyperbunking
>A converted big rig truck and trailer or a bus for mobile-ness
>>
>>49898905
Gas station sounds good.

Anyone have any maps or illustrations of places like this?
>>
>>49899169
Since I'm guessing you've not worked in one, you can in some of the old ones find underground bays for working on cars before the lifts were commonplace.
>>
Know of a few "hacker-spaces" in the US, they'd all make for great hideouts in a Shadowrun/Cyberpunk game.

>apartment above an old bookstore in a Latin district
>small warehouse in a business park next to the bay
>warehouse/art space filled with props and fetish gear, holds regular exhibitions
>speakeasy/photography studio above a muffler shop
>large near-campus coffee shop (nobody hides, mind you. Just people on their laptops, minding their own)
>dingy backroom of a PC repair/electronics store
>>
>>49898646
a disused or forgotten subway station, lots of space, likely comes with power and network lines that can be tapped, controllable entrances and depending on placement and other conditions an outflow into a rail-repair yard.

my college has a "forgotten machine shop" with power and tools, all the keys were lost by the faculty and the students all made due with making duplicates and passing them down in certain circles of the engineering dept. officially, nobody goes in there, nobody holds lectures there, and no one can claim it as an office. this means that the engineering students use it for all the inadvisable projects like making battle-bots, directed energy weapons, coil and rail guns, and (when I was there) custom hunting crossbows. it would be a pretty good place to use as a base for stuff.
>>
this thread is relevant to my interests
>>
>>49898891
This was actually a base for a group I used to play with during an evil campaign. One of the PC's parents would come down and offer snacks while we were performing rituals to Mask. 10/10 base, would eat sugar cookies again
>>
>>49902340
Sorry meant Bhaal not mask
>>
>>49898646
>Anonymus office rooms or apartments
>Boat
>>
>>49898646
> Semi-abandoned trailer park.
It was shut down a few years back, and only the hardcore nutjobs stayed. The 'you'll pry my trailer from my cold dead hands' types, or the ones who legitimately couldn't afford to leave.
When the cyberpunks took it over, the nutjobs were an issue, and had to be negotiated with. In exchange for deliveries of ammo left in the airlock in their improvised wall of trailer bits, they let the 'punks operate unshot and without bags of shit hurled over the walls randomly.
The others were easier; they're given food packages every week to feed their kids, and don't call the authorities. Not that they could afford phones. But they also don't know nuthin' about nuthin' when anyone comes calling.

Most of the park's remaining area is taken up by a big rectenna for power hacked from the orbital solar power network, and a few huge battery banks to store the hacked power. The rest is trailers and assorted vehicles the 'punks brought in, and big antennae put up to hack the powersats.

> Storm drain
Sentry laser turrets to keep rats out, wall off most of the access tunnels, and you're fine and dandy until the storm comes. Then you're either flooded with water, or with mole people seeking somewhere dry.
The mole people are, however, a useful source of information and black market goods/cash.

> Abandoned college dorm
Not really abandoned. Nobody ever gets assigned there, nobody is sent to clean it, the system forgot it existed one day.
The 'punks are former students. Either dropouts or graduates who just stuck around, and a couple of eternal students, living off perpetual student loans while they take one class a month and change majors constantly to keep milking funding by stringing out their education.
The 'punks commonly sneak into lectures to learn things or just to steal materials and equipment, and use the cafeterias for food and a source of test subjects because students will do anything for free food or the promise of sexual favours.
>>
>>49898646
An old SAC base.
>>
>>49902624
> Industrial estate
It's an old estate, semi run down. The 'punks may or may not pay rent on the building they use, but it's a generic warehouse space full of gear, with an office area they've mostly turned over to sleeping space.
The receptionist they hired from a temp agency thinks they're a perfectly legitimate business, and will do so as long as they keep paying her. In addition to giving them a pretence of normality and brushing off visitors, she makes coffee, buys their food from the sandwich van that comes around four times a day, and makes sure they actually eat something and remember to authorise her paychecks.
She actually gets paid many times what the agency pays her because they keep such poor track of time they sign whatever paychecks she hands then, though.

> Hipster coffee shop
So elitist it never seems to serve any customers their horrendously expensive coffees.
So cluttered with random furniture and props nobody notices it's a quarter of the size it should be.
Behind the scenes, it's your regular 'punk hangout, just with fake beards and glasses handing up by the door so they can look suitably hipsterish on the way in and out.
>>
>>49902688
> The highway
Self-driving cars are a wonderful invention.
So was the free wi-fi on buses.
And road-powered electric vehicles.
Simple add a second pickup to the vehicle, and you can run whatever, connect to the internet through the wi-fi of buses near you, and set the car to guide itself. Meetups happen by simply matching speed near a bus or cluster of buses.
Where do they go? Around in circles on a ring road bypass around a city, stopping for food at services. Thanks to the wonders of drive-thru everything and self-driving vehicles, you never need to get out.
Some members of the group are suspected to be using the vehicles as life-support. One of the group IS their vehicle, after a particularly bad encounter with black ICE during a hackathon and a random loss of wi-fi signal. Their meatspace body simply sits in the driving seat, kept alive through drips and drive-through electrostim therapy. His vehicle is slowly turning into a transformer through drive-through car modification work.
>>
>>49898646
Bumpan.
>>
An idea for one is a coffin style hide away, buried in the side of a ravine, set with VR so that the party can shimmy in, plug into the matrix, and wait out the storm.
>>
File: vz5ae36mfo5x.jpg (58KB, 1080x809px) Image search: [Google]
vz5ae36mfo5x.jpg
58KB, 1080x809px
>>49902624
>>49902688
>>49902701
I love these, great job!

>>49899651
>the engineering students use it for all the inadvisable projects like making battle-bots, directed energy weapons, coil and rail guns, and (when I was there) custom hunting crossbows
This is amazing, makes me want to add such a thing to a game. Just some college students who want to make some money on the side providing punks with gimmicks while having some fun doing it.
>>
File: cyberpunk130.jpg (177KB, 1000x720px) Image search: [Google]
cyberpunk130.jpg
177KB, 1000x720px
Got some ideas, going to gather them and post pics

Just shitty apartments are always fine though
>>
File: Dorm Computer.jpg (288KB, 1014x788px) Image search: [Google]
Dorm Computer.jpg
288KB, 1014x788px
Where their base is will depend a lot on the type of cyberpunks they are, and what they do

For some, a student dorm would suffice
>>
File: hacktivist meeting.jpg (409KB, 1020x800px) Image search: [Google]
hacktivist meeting.jpg
409KB, 1020x800px
>>49907758
>>
>>49902701
>One guy is his vehicle.
Is that you, Ng?
>>
A recently discovered, few centuries old bomb shelter would work, I guess.
>>
>>49908055
>few centuries old bomb shelter
You mean few decades? People were not building bomb shelters centuries ago, because there were no bombs to protect yourself against.
>>
File: uboat-washed-ashore.jpg (219KB, 1280x755px) Image search: [Google]
uboat-washed-ashore.jpg
219KB, 1280x755px
>"You guys will never guess what I found at the beach today."
>>
File: cyberpunk72.jpg (303KB, 868x1252px) Image search: [Google]
cyberpunk72.jpg
303KB, 868x1252px
>>49907813
>Ng
>I understood that reference.simsense
Though I'd actually forgotten his name

Old tunnels seem like a popular place for off-the-grid types

But thinking about interesting bases, a shipping container might work - they can be left semi-abandoned in an industrial area for ages, can be shipped, moved and whatnot without suspicion.

Someone also mentioned trucks in a shadowrun thread >>49889375 and the replies to that were all pretty good.
Like the point that a large truck makes a cool battering ram when you want to go full pink mohawk
>>
Motor home
>>
>>49908155
This gets points for style but fails miserably at the whole inconspicuous thing.
>>
>>49902624
>students will do anything for free food or the promise of sexual favours.
Re-enlisted to college recently to upgrade my Bachelor's into Master's. Can confirm. Exam questions (ideally complete with answers) are also highly valued commodity.
>>
File: cyberpunk92.jpg (973KB, 1250x809px) Image search: [Google]
cyberpunk92.jpg
973KB, 1250x809px
>>
>>49908231
> With the laws coming into effect that all ships must have nano-transponders in the hulls to have a GPS Satellite oversight, the seas were no longer safe for cyberpunks.

>That is until during a sea side walk, the group's intrepid engineer stubled upon a Lost U-Boat that had somehow survived XXX Years on the sea, only to wind up ashore.

>Mostly free of damage aside from some corrosion and the mysterious boney scent in the actual cabin, The group retrofits the U-Boat into a mobile base.

> Going ashore is accomplished through a small inflatable boat the crew keeps in the storage bay where the 88 Was Originally, but was destroyed when the Engineer attempted to fire nano-canister shot out of it.

>Or, for faster excisions, a jury rigged launcher from a refitted torpedo tube, that, when the sub is point roughly 45-degrees, allows a single occupant a VERY rapid shot to the surface, and then above the surface. Parachutes are provided, but no one seems keen to use it.

Stealing this idea, 10/10 would cyberpunk in tiny cramp ass cabin haunted by Nazi ghosts.
>>
>>49898646

The catacombs, like Odessa's or Paris. (I prefer Odessa more because they're so much more alien and more diverse - caves, shit troughs, old mines, old rebel bases). Buy up a warehouse above, dig down, hit catacomb. Map it out, build small base along side, bam.
>>
>>49898891
/thread?
>>
File: I-400B.jpg (92KB, 971x476px) Image search: [Google]
I-400B.jpg
92KB, 971x476px
>>49911284
> Going ashore is accomplished through a small inflatable boat the crew keeps in the storage bay where the 88 Was Originally, but was destroyed when the Engineer attempted to fire nano-canister shot out of it.
>Or, for faster excisions, a jury rigged launcher from a refitted torpedo tube, that, when the sub is point roughly 45-degrees, allows a single occupant a VERY rapid shot to the surface, and then above the surface. Parachutes are provided, but no one seems keen to use it.
Get one of these bad boys and you can convert the airplane hangar for small helicopter storage.
>>
The basement of an old inter-city gym.

The owner is an old meat-head from back in the day. In spite of age the bastard is still fairly rip and from below you can hear the foundation shake when he and the others do their routine.

However the building has been there since god knows when and happens to be located next to some choice utilities as hypercorps couldn't be assed out to actually upgrade the infrastructure to any reasonable degree.

You slip the old guy some money off the side making sure none of it can be traced back and you get to sneak in and out the back. Sure the racket of deadweights can be annoying but then what suit wearing weenie who's into his corp made special work out routine is going to come into down town and fuck with a bunch of dudes twice his size and strength?
>>
>>49899427

Have you ever been to a hackerspace? They're full of weedy nerds who like making things and call themselves anticapitalists but would probably wilt at the first sign of a strongman after them. They'd rat you out for sure.
>>
File: Submarine Graffiti.jpg (352KB, 1024x674px) Image search: [Google]
Submarine Graffiti.jpg
352KB, 1024x674px
>>49908155
This is a good idea.
>>
>>49899169
This>>49899201

Think jiffy lube,or any quick oil change place,some times those holes in the ground lead to a big basement.
>>
A small apartment above Mr Wong's Oriental Grill. Mr Wong is already just a money laundry for the Triads so as long as you pay rent he keep quiet, maybe even points you towards a job.

A disused and forgotten half of the mall; its been under 'renovations' for so long that everyone's just forgotten it was there. Weird mix of construction shit, closed stores and rats.

No one really uses the subway anymore, not since they built that hightech new monorail. But it still works, and since no one is checking its pretty easy for someone to set up their own train. Sometimes its handy to keep moving, though the reception can be a bit shoddy.
>>
>>49917150
>>49914086
>>49908155
It's actually surprisingly easy to justify how one would come across something like that. I mean there must've been dozens of secret Japanese pacific island bases or Soviet siberian outposts out there.

Hell, entire nukes just disappeared with the Soviet Union, nobody's gonna mind a submarine...
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.