[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 351
Thread images: 23

File: 1475181988879.jpg (406KB, 700x964px) Image search: [Google]
1475181988879.jpg
406KB, 700x964px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

> Encounter Building - Unearthed Arcana | October 2016
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/Encounter_Building.pdf

Previous thread:
>>49866681
Bannerets are underpowered edition.
What social class do your characters come from, usually? How does your DM handle classes? Can peasants read and write in your game?
>>
File: By42J_DIYAAuigO.jpg (47KB, 600x903px) Image search: [Google]
By42J_DIYAAuigO.jpg
47KB, 600x903px
What's the difference between an infernal warlock and a cleric of asmodeus?
>>
>>49874059
One praises him. The other strikes a deal, or some bullshit about learning about him gives you power.

It reminds of asking if you like your boss or not. You are allowed and not allowed to, but he's your boss.
>>
>>49874059
Thematically or mechanically?
The cleric is more of a trusted agent of usual hierarchy, while the warlock is more of a special-projects R&D prototype.
>>
File: Fire-Emblem-Fates-Characters.png (518KB, 853x368px) Image search: [Google]
Fire-Emblem-Fates-Characters.png
518KB, 853x368px
>>49874003
>What social class do your characters come from, usually?
Most of my characters are "middle class" in that they're serving under a lord or noble of some kind. Even if it's something as inglorious as "my mother is a cook at the estate" or "I'm a courier for the Lady", it still gives me an excuse to play characters that are well taken-care-of and have basic education such as reading and writing... assuming the noble in question isn't a total asshat and actually cares enough to treat his retainers decently. Plus if I'm playing a character who needs expensive education, like a Wizard or Paladin, I can make up backstory elements about how the noble sponsored the character because it would bring prestige or honor to his household or something like that.
>>
Social class comes from the Background that you pick during character creation. All player characters are assumed to be able to read and write the languages that they know.
>>
File: WorfLaugh.gif (1MB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
WorfLaugh.gif
1MB, 255x255px
>>49874246
>Using premade backgrounds instead of writing your own (within reason, of course, don't start strawmanning on me).
>>
>>49874003
I feel PDK is solidly OK. Slightly better than Champion, worse than EK or Battlemaster no matter how you look at it.
>>
>>49874329
The premade ones are not bad, and "rewriting" is more of a refluffing. I've been hermits that we're Knight errants, or urchins that ran away from a mediocre home.
>>
>>49874003
I don't enjoy illiterate characters, so they either come from a social class that allows that or their background experiences set them up for it.

>>49874246
One person I play with likes to harass me and say my characters shouldn't know how to read and write than got angry when I reveled as a player that my character was in fact literate. Apparently they think casters should be retarded. I need a new group.
>>
So my DM gave me an Instrument of the Bards that can cast Shilelagh

Naturally, you all know what this means. I must now respecialize to Valor bard.
>>
>>49874671
Haste is your friend if you get that high. Get a shield. And Warcaster if your DM is a stickler for you need a hand to play an instrument.
>>
>>49874671
We had a Valor Bard in our Curse of Stradh game with Greater Invisibilty 20 Dex, studded leather, a shield, and a Scimitar of Speed.

19 AC
Advantage on Attacks
Disadvantage on getting attacked
3d6+15 if they all hit

Not bad.
>>
>>49874671
Why? Why not just Lore Bard with Booming Blade / Green-flame blade?
>>
>>49874003
Noble. All day. Everyday. even the one that has criminal or urchin background also fake himself being a noble
>>
>>49874726
Stickler for realism? Lel
>>
>GM wants to run a Naruto game with 5e
This is going to suck
>>
I'm really fucking curious why Milivoj is so important, he gets his own portait. In fact, he's also one of the few non-ugly NPCs in Curse of Strahd.
>>
>>49875007
Lolwut?
Tell him to use fate system. It's much more maliable for stuff like that. And the book is cheap, if you want to support the guys and pick up a nice physical hardcover.
>>
>>49874059
Faust is a warlock.
Aleister Crowley is a cleric.
>>
Can you shove or grapple when casting GFB or booming blade?

You can use them instead of an attack with the Attack action, but this is Casting a Spell so no?
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 265x265px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 265x265px
Starting a dragonborn rogue. Any advice? Rest of the team is hill dwarf cleric planning on tempest, an elf bard, a water genasi druid and a half Orc barbarian.
>inb4 not optimal race
Our sessions are dominated by RP.
Also we roll for stats so I have no idea what my distribution will be like.
>>
>>49875057
Because you will probably fight him and a lot of people use tokens online.
>>
>>49875007
Even 10 year old nonames in that setting are stronger than half the classes at 20th level, the fuck is your DM thinking?
>>
>>49874059
Paperwork.
>>
>>49875140
Expertise in Strength(Athletics), go Arcane Trickster and pick up Enhance Ability for grapple lockdowns.

That strength bonus is no joke.
>>
>>49875140
>Our sessions are dominated by RP.
>Any advice?
Advice about what? if it's full RP we can't help you, roleplay well? I dunno, don't be a lolradum that's what my character would do cunt?
>>
>>49875140
go swashbuckler to use that CHA bonus?
>>
>>49875176
Sorry poor phrasing. I'm not much for finding combos and planning career paths. I would like advice on some technical stuff because I'm really more about RP, and mechanisms are my weak point.
>>49875171
Cool I'll look in to that. I never really grappled or know anything about it.
>>
>>49875189
Like a pirate? This campaign is set mostly in a desert from what we know.

Also I don't see that subclass in the phb could you let me know where it is? Sorry so green at this. I only ever played white wolf games.
>>
>>49875232
As a rogue, you can make a sneak attack once per TURN, but the number of sneak attacks you can make per ROUND is unlimited. Find a way to make as many attacks as possible - perhaps, you might want to pick up a whip to get more reach and therefore more attacks of opportunity.
>>
>>49875268
Just refluf some of the piratey stuff as dessert nomad/prince of persia type stuff
>>
>>49875268
Swashbuckler is in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. It's a more combat-focused rogue, who can fight like in melee like a dervish or a pirate. SCAG also has mastermind archetype, which is mainly about empowering your allies.
>>
>>49875287
Ahhhh cool that's something i totally overlooked.
>>49875294
Makes sense. I don't have the swashbuckler stuff I wasn't sure if the mechanisms were naval oriented/rooted. My original vision was based off sands of time :)
>>
>>49875140
Be a strength rogue. Just because you need a finesse weapon to use sneak attack doesn't mean you need to use DEX with it.
>>
>>49875140
Fluff wise, be pitch black and unusually lanky. Mechanically, listen to >>49875329
>>
File: anarchy.jpg (183KB, 819x633px) Image search: [Google]
anarchy.jpg
183KB, 819x633px
I'm in a new town and I'm about to enter a Level One D&D event. My first session is free.

I've heard bad things about restrictive such events are. How big of mistake am I making?
>>
>>49875137
Shoving and grappling require the attack action. GFB and BB require the cast a spell action. So you are right it can't be done.
>>
>>49875588
In my experience, they are only restrictive on stuff that's not officially released content, as well as winged creatures. Other than that, you should be solid. I've been playing in AL games for about a year and a half and so far I haven't run into any major problems with any group I joined.

My main piece of advise would be to talk to the DM about any rule related thing you think may be different or restricted. As well, probably have him tell you his house rules on things just in case.
>>
>>49875588
If it's Adventurer's League, it varies a lot. It's actually much less restrictive than it used to be in previous editions (Living Greyhawk, Living Forgotten Realms, Pathfinder Society, etc.) The way it used to be, the RPGA tightly restricted every adventure, and you had to have documentation signed by an official DM for every single item, gold piece, and experience point. A DM who made any changes to an adventure got banned, regardless of the circumstances. Living Greyhawk took it a step further and made it illegal to run adventures in the wrong geographical area (each region of the real world corresponded to a region in the world of Greyhawk, and you could ONLY play or DM an adventure if you were physically in the right place.) Adventurer's League got rid of all that shit.

The one big problem that remains is that the DMs don't work very hard to get the players involved. Since the players are always coming and going, that's hard to do.
>>
>>49875377
The main thing it concerns is Great Weapon Mastery
>>
>>49875744
That's the sort of stuff I was scared of. Not being able to come up with creative uses for skills, etc.

I'll give it a shot and report back later. This will be my first time playing 5th.
>>
>>49875268
It's from an official supplement : Sword Coast Adventure Guide

It's the "cocky duelist" dashing rogue.
It surprisingly is great for Warlock and Sorcerer multiclass builds.
>>
>>49875785
How much your DM will let you improvise with skills has pretty much nothing to do with whether you're playing in organized play or not. Even in the old days, it was legit to find unconventional solutions to problems. In fact, often you were expected to do so and read the game designer's mind like an old Sierra adventure game.
>>
Anyone have a list of Kobold names?
>>
>>49875923
Well I hope the DM isn't some mega autist who doesn't understand that.
>>
>>49875744
Living Greyhawk was incredible but required a lot of effort to properly get into it.
>>
>>49875744
Really not sure if it's Adventure League. It says Level One, and it's capitalized so I think that's the name of the organization.
>>
How do I make it so my DM just uses magic items from the book(s) instead of making his own? They're all "LOL YOU GOT CURSED DEBUFF / PRANKED BRO" tier.

Examples include:

>Someone gets bracers.

>Add proficiency, half your dex save modifier to attack rolls and damage during surprise rounds only.

>The bracers feed off of your gold, and take 1,750 gold a day. If you don't have this amount, your HP is reduced by half, rounded down. This effect occurs up to 3 times, or if HP is low enough -until your HP is reduced to 1.

Another was the "Raspberries that taste like Strawberries", which made another party member lose their tongue, making them have disadvantage on all persuasion/intimidation checks with no real upside...yet?

Seriously. No games, no nonsense. Just give me one good magic item and fuck this cursed crap
>>
>>49875946
Since it's your first time, you might try to improvise with skills in a way that the DM is right to say no to. Even experienced players have some pretty huge misconceptions about how skills work. The most common mistake I see is conflating Nature and Survival.
>>
>>49876019
Remove Curse is a second level spell, anon.
>>
>>49876019
Tell him to stop watching HarmonRoll Inc.
>>
>>49876040

I know, but why have 80-95% cursed items when we can just take them off once we find the gimmick if the gimmick doesn't fuck us to death immediately
>>
>>49876038
I'm fine with that. As long as I can do anything a person could feasibly do if they had the right skills. I'm fine with not being able to do something if I don't have the right skills.

What I have a problem with is someone saying "You cant do that" without giving me a good reason as to why.
>>
>>49875974
t. rose tinted glasses
>>
>>49876084
???

A lot of the adventure paths written for it have been rated some of the best for 3e, unlike living FR paths which were pretty shit in comparison.
>>
>>49876171
Actually playing it was bad, doesn't matter if the writing was good
>>
>>49876067
It's about seeing how much BS you'll put up with for an otherwise overpowered item. If you don't like it, fine, he'll offer you another """""balanced""""" item, and maybe that one won't fuck you over too much.
>>
>>49876337
How do raspberry strawberries factor into this?
>>
If I'm a level 6 Wizard and take a level of Sorcerer, do my first two spells known have to be 1st level still, or can they be 3rd level since I now have 3rd level spell slots?
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 480x184px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 480x184px
Anyone found/tried rules for werebear (non-shifter) race? Or anyone have ideas on building one?
>brainstorming
>>
Would you guys recommend 5e to a group of noobs over 4e? One of the guys DM'd one of the earlier editions but it's been 20+ years.
>>
>>49876396
Well, when you find out what it's good sides are, you can then decide if it's worth removing the debilitating effects of the raspstrawies. Or jsut remove curse/etc now and tell the berries to fuck themselves.
>>
>>49876448
Spells known follow the progression of each class separately. You know spells as a 6th level wizard, and a 1st level sorcerer. Only your spell slots stack that way.
>>
>>49876469
a
>>
>>49876448
They did a Sage Advice for this. Your spells known must be based on your level in the class that's granting you the spells. This includes the spells that wizards can copy into their spellbooks. This means that multiclass spellcasters often possess spell slots of a higher level than any of the spells they know.
>>
>>49874726

We've established I'm allowed to play it with my mage hand for free
>>
>>49874003
>running a campaign based on alien using the scifi weapons, 4 level 1 pc's and one cr 8 creature
Yes or no?
>>
>>49876492
>>49876499
Cool, thanks
>>
>>49876466
Just play a gay dude.
>>
>>49876466
There are rules for lycanthropy in the MM. If that's not enough for you and you want your fursona to be furry all the time, just take the stats for goliaths and say they look like bears.
>>
>>49874975

So that I can shileleagh with the guitar as if it was a sword.
>>
>>49876492
>>49876499
>>49876513
However if I'm reading it right, any subsequent spells are based on my spell slots available.

So Wiz 6/Sor 1 has to take two 1st level spells known, but then at Wiz6/Sor2 I could take a 4th level spell as my third spell known.

>The Spells Known column of the Sorcerer table shows when you learn more sorcerer spells of your choice. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.
>>
>>49876469
5e for sure, doubly so if your D&D experiences are 20 years in the past.
>>
>>49875140

Go Swashbuckler, put that Charisma to use.
>>
I want to make a simple sort of system to provide more meaning to strength, intellect and charisma while also giving players slight boons to play around with.

Like how intellect used to determine how many languages you could know, a little homebrew for perhaps a specific campaign where players can pick from some mini-boon-type-things depending on their scores.

Say, for example, 'The lower of your strength or dexterity score determines what physical boon you can choose from, and you get one at these specific score values'.
The lower of either dex or strength is used so that being a barbarian doesn't automatically qualify you for extra benefits because you're maxing out strength.

Similarly, there may be a 'your lower score out of charisma and intellect' or something.

The main things I'm looking to do is give people a small benefit to taking an attribute that would otherwise almost never help them, and to give everybody little extra features to mess about with that might not help combat but may be interesting outside of combat, so that even that idiot who picked champion can have some fun.

An idea of a boon might be, for physical-based ones, 'When perfectly still and inactive, you gain a tremorsense of the nearby area' or 'you can do fucking parkour' or 'If you have a couple of turns and enough run space, you can go slightly-sanic speed if you can avoid crashing'.

None of this is intended for a wide audience, but more just for one campaign that I might do.
How's it sound?
>>
>>49876019
I think we may have had the same GM. Has he given out unidentified potions that gives your character DD breasts, a raging horsecock, or Hulk anger yet?
>>
>>49876592
Sounds like way more trouble than it's worth. Why would I go MAD and cripple my character to be good at parkour when I can just train in Acrobatics without giving anything up?
>>
/tg/, hit me up with a name for the NOTGriffith character in my campaign.

Simple, elegant, strong and 100% righteous.
>>
>>49876760
Hippogy
>>
>>49876760
Slam Bulkhead
>>
>>49876655
You're not supposed to train the skills just for the features.

It's just a little benefit for those who've taken a small hit to their stats for whatever reason.

I once dumped dex at '8' (was wearing heavy armour) and put int as '12' and didn't need it at all, but certainly dex would have been better for sure. Maybe not as fun, but it would be better.

The deal with acrobatics is you're still likely to make rolls to do outlandish things in the middle of combat, and you could potentially fail rather than any automatic success for typically parkour-ish things that're easily doable. And increasing the stat doesn't increase the boon abiltiies, just give you one.
>>
>>49876653
Wow he must play a lot of CoC
>>
>mfw Wizard with under 10 CON
Boy I hope he doesn't mind dying
>>
I was thinking of multiclassing paladin (ancients). I was going to get at least 7 levels for the magic aura first, and at least 11 levels total for improved divine smite. What classes would be best for multiclassing? Warlock for spell slots and utility, fighter for 1ac and action surge, or maybe bard even? Any suggestions?
>>
I've been thinking of trying to go with a half dwarf half elf character but I have no idea what they would even look like. Any ideas?
>>
>>49877159
Like the baby from Eraserhead
>>
>>49877159
Elves can't breed with dwarves.
>>
>>49877159
Human.
>>
>>49877159
Elves and dwarves can't mix. Only with humans.
>>
>>49877178
Imagine a glam metal singer at 75% height and 125% wider with a silky, feathered beard.
>>
>>49877159
Dwarves and elves can't cross. Dwarves and humans can't cross outside Athas. Did you mean a half-elf?
>>
>>49877269
>>49877208
>>49877194
They can't? Damn that's lame. Usually just run a human so I never bothered knowing about crossbreeds. Thought mixing elf and dwarf would be a laugh.
>>
>all this racism against Dwelves
>>
>>49877313
They can't. Did you even read the fucking book?
>>
>>49877314
They're called dwelves. A dwelf? Well guess thats better than elarf
>>
>>49877313
You can't just slap two races together, dude.
>>
>>49877354
Don't own it. DM friend does. We play pretty lax games and I've honestly never read elf or dwarf pages as I've never needed to.
>>
>>49877402
Please tell me you're not a retard and you didn't think you just made up races.
>>
>>49877381
Then how do you explain the existence of minotaurs, genius?
>>
>>49877451
Right. Clearly some dude fucked a cow.
>>
>>49877417
No. I mean I knew of half dwarves, half elves, and half-orcs. Just didn't realize that it was only through humans that crossbreeding worked.
>>
>>49877469
There are no half-dwarves in the core book. That's a Dark Sun only thing, and they're kinda weird there.
>>
>>49877111
>tfw made one of these

F U N

Especially against pussy 'Nobody should die!' DMs.
>>
>>49877469
>>49877402
>>49877313
>>49877159
READ THE FUCKING BOOK
>>
File: 1442274002620.jpg (2KB, 125x93px) Image search: [Google]
1442274002620.jpg
2KB, 125x93px
>>49877417
Internet tough guy alert
>>
>>49877451
and the failed states Latin America
>>
>>49877620
At least choose an appropriate insult
>>
>>49877313
It just makes a human.
>>
>>49875007

Monk monastic tradition - gay ass ninja

Forced multi class:
shadow monk 15/wizard 5: taijutsu specialist
wizard 15/ shadow monk 5: must either take school of illusions or school of evocation, genjutsu or ninjutsu specialist.

As shadow monk, instead of gaining gay ass spells that are now redundant as a multiclass: you gain blindsight and the ability to create ninja spell scrolls(1+your wizard level) for X amount of gold, once or twice per session. This only works if your wizard knows the spell, it's a narutard flavored spell, and up to level 3 spells maximum. You can own scrolls up to your total level.

Spell reskin:
Shield - Kawarimi no Jutsu(If casting this spell causes an attack that would otherwise land to miss you, teleport up to your speed away and replace the square that you were standing in with some kind of debris.)
Fogcloud: Kirigakure no Jutsu
Misty Step: Shunshin no Jutsu
Mirror Image: Bunshin no Jutsu
Fireball(of course): Goukakyuu no Jutsu
Minor and Major Image: Genjutsu of varying degrees
Alter self: Henge no Jutsu
>>
>>49878157

GM laughs as all players are forced to roll characters that require a dex, wis, int stat split, can never get level 9 spells, or any of the juicy monk abilities.
>>
>>49874003
I'm getting a problem loading page when I click the mega link it wasn't doing this a few days ago
>>
4e was pretty good
>>
>>49877091
Yes, he does.
>>
>>49878369
Yes, yes it was.
>>
What are creative ways to target saves other than the rehash of Fort, Ref, Will?
>>
>>49878369
It had a lot of good ideas, yes.
>>
File: 1387585369067.gif (448KB, 200x183px) Image search: [Google]
1387585369067.gif
448KB, 200x183px
Is this a good place to ask for advice on my story?

I'm DM'ing for the first time ever and I'm not a very creative person (basically DM'ing for a group of friends because they all want to D&D all the fucking time but nobody wants to DM so I'm trying to get the ball rolling). I just wanna know if the stuff I've come up with is gay nigga shit and get some advice.

I've got some good ideas for random side quests and one off encounters, but as far as world building and a "main" quest go I'm fucking stumped.
>>
>>49877584
Online SRD's really hurt D&D discussion, nobody reads the PHB any more.
>>
File: 1475613100509.jpg (64KB, 739x531px) Image search: [Google]
1475613100509.jpg
64KB, 739x531px
Is "Mage Hand Press" BTFO on /5eg/?
I don't see it in the Mega, but most of it is free anyway.
>>
>>49878369
A lot of good ideas, but it wasn't the sort of game I wanted it to be.

>>49878566
Don't jump the entire main quest on them all at once. Make them see a bit of the larger picture every session, even if it's just subtle 'We're in this refugee camp because some big bad guys smashed our old home a year ago!' and the big bad guys happen to be the BBEG's minions.
>>
>>49875326
>>49875287
You only get one opportunity attack because it uses your reaction, which is limited to one. It might not be as good as you think.
>>
Anyone used heroforge before? How is it?

Alos, where's the best place to get minis?
>>
>>49878733

I wasn't gonna give them the entire main quest, was just gonna set it up.

Just not sure if my story/world is awful and how to execute it properly because I'm creatively bankrupt.

General idea is that the kingdom they start in basically lost a war some time ago and now they're beta keks for the guys that conquered them, the king willingly surrendered to them so they let him keep ruling over his kingdom but only as a vassal to them. Some TERRORISMS aren't happy with how much of a pussy he is and are doing gorilla warfare on him to try and get him to surrender his crown. Main story is gonna be dealing with that in some way, choosing a side and such with a big twest towards the end/

But I don't know how shit like this generally works. How long ago should the war have been? Recent or decades ago? How do I even get my party tangled up in it?

I'm such a fucking shitty DM why am I doing this please insult my horrid writing
>>
How would you replicate 4e's fun combat in 5e?
>>
>>49878853
You can't, 5e is a simulationist bag of crap

Just play 4e
>>
>>49878826
>Alos, where's the best place to get minis?

Ebay, you used to be able to get tons of dirt cheap outdated Warhammer units.

>>49878853
You start by adapting 3.5 rules to 5e, much easier.
>>
>>49878826
I've used it. If you can get something that looks close to your character it's worth it in my opinion, assuming you're not poor.

Something to keep in mind is that the figures come out slimmer than the viewer has them (which is a good thing in my opinion). Also according to some reviews the figures are sort of fragile but break clean when they break, meaning it's easy to fix. I personally have not had any of my figures break.
>>
>>49878893
3.5e/PF is a steaming pile of hot faeces.
>>
>>49878955
This isn't r/rpg senpai, you don't have to try and fit in here.
>>
>>49878877
I don't think you know what simulationist means.
>>
>>49878877
>simulationist
>5e
This is some real neo-/tg/ shit.
>>
>>49878566
Don't worry too much about a story the first few sessions. Come up with a bunch of resources. Have a few important people type characters. Have a few encounters ready, and a few ways to introduce those encounters to the players, such as quests, or random events.

Then run the game. While the game is running, come up with a way for one of your important people type settings to screw the players in some way. This automatically converts the character into an antagonist in the eyes of the players, and their lust for vengeance can fuel whole campaigns.

For instance.

The party it's starting in a tavern in the city of pallet town. I feed them a bunch of quest hooks about random shit. The Duke of pallet, oak, is rumored to be seeking some off the books work. A prominent merchant in the town of viridian wants to secure a new trade route through a forest. Etc etc. The players go with oak, and after going through the proper back channels (dark alleyways and secret passages), he contacts them to pick up an unknown package in viridian, and deliver it back, hinting that it is illegal. Oak gives them a sigil to identify themselves to his contact.

After a harrowing journey, the players arrive in viridian which is under extreme lockdown, because there are some criminal elements who are trying to smuggle something out. Of course the players are doing it.

From here, there are two ways to go. If the players get caught, it turns out this is a sigil of Brock, a heavy handed mob boss living in the other side of viridian forest. For whatever reason, oak wanted the players to get caught with the sigil.

If the players make it through and actually deliver the package, oak stiffs them on payment, then runs off with the package to do unknown things.
>>
>>49878877
5e is all about handling things on the fly, you dunce.
>>
Is it possible to make an alchemist type of character in 5th edition?
>>
>>49878566
I'm in the same boat except im more inspired by kung-fu films and westerns where the stories are rather selfish and smaller scale.

Sure there's a whole lot of bad people, but the BBEG would be the enemy you make.
>>
>>49879031
A few more notes.

Don't worry about motivations for the very important people right now. Just have them screw over the players somehow.

It doesn't matter what quest the players do. Just have the very important person who gives them it screw over the players somehow.

You can figure out all the details later with your players. The point of this advice is to focus your group on a general very easy to play theme: revenge. After railroading them slightly to present the plot (character screws over murderhobos, murderhobos plot murder), you set them free to engage in cooperative storytelling. The reason this works is revenge is the number one motivator of murderhobos, and most people play murderhobos their first time.
>>
>>49878853
I'm working on exactly this!

The main thing is to present players with lots of tactically interesting at will abilities. Combat has to be more strategic than "I don't want to use a resource right now, so I'll stand in place and hit it with my sword or cantrip"

Also, shifting.
>>
>>49879171
shifting was the worst. 5 foot steps are better.
>>
>>49877127

bump
>>
How unlikely would it be that a relatively stupid character (8 int) would be granted clerical powers by a curious god who likes stories and being entertained, just because the god wants to see the characters tale pan out

something like the character praying daily for good fortune in battle and completion of his cause, and the god saying "thats close enough, im making him a cleric"

with the vastly less detailed accounts of gods (and the more loose interpretation of power gain for clerics in the phb) i feel like its not that retarded. god want to be entertained too
>>
>>49877127
Monk
>>
>>49879171
If your players are standing still every round you should be punishing them. 5e allows for very mobile combats.
>>
>>49879214
int is dumpstat for clerks
>>
>>49879235
Not really. Opportunity attacking rules are stupid and discourage all movement in combat instead of just allowing barricades.
>>
I'm DM'ing a campaign in which the PCs will be working for the cult of dragon. I have a general idea of what kind of areas and enemies to put them through in helping the cult become stronger and gain more power in the area but what kinds of enemies would you recommend for some more variety that wouldn't be too thrilled with dracoliches?
>>
>>49878850
I don't know, that sounds good enough, and makes sense.

War could probably be somewhere 5-25 years ago, and the deal is that there could be a sort of rebellion group asking the party to do favours for them (smaller quests) and maybe also some king's officials asking them to do quests, so they kind of pick a side by who they quest for.
>>
>>49877159
You know how I know you're a millennial and a faggot?
>>
Is magic initiate worth it for find familiar alone? Also, what are some good cantrips for a Wilderness Outdoorsman type?
>>
>>49879480
If you don't need the cantrips... No.

Heck, you might as well just put a level into wizard and get 'find familiar' as a free class feature (That's pretty much what it is and people still expect to get free advantage from that).
>>
>>49878157
>You have to be 20th level to be a fucking genin the shit tier low class ninja that the setting has by billions
Nice
>>
>>49879480
the more sad vs mad your character is, yeah, its good, and you most likely get some decent range, or a utility cantrip bonus
mage hand, a fire creation one (fire bolt if your dm says it counts), light/dancing lights if you cant see in the dark. thats just base book though. theres more obvious choices depending on your class/books allowed
>>
>>49875007
Holy shit I hate that kind of people
5e does sword and sorcery fine and that's it, is not meant to be used for DBZ, is not meant to be used for Saint Seiya, is not meant to be used for Bleach or Naruto, neither 40k, etc. Stop shoehorning 5e into everything.
>>
>>49879664
>A system that was purposefully striped down to do sword and sorcery worse so it could be as generic as possible can't be used to do anything other then sword and sorcery.

Sad.
>>
>>49879048
Currently no
>>
>>49879214
I don't see why not, you aren't even near retarded with 8 int.
>>
>>49874391
What book is PDK in?
>>
>>49878157
Maybe 20th level gestalt monk/sorcerer and that would be just middle-low level in the setting, you know, the background characters without name.
>>
>>49879768
Sword coast adventure guide.

Prepare for disappointment.
>>
>>49879768
Sword Coast Adventure Guide
>>
File: 1476756821141.jpg (52KB, 645x617px) Image search: [Google]
1476756821141.jpg
52KB, 645x617px
>it's a 4e episode of /5eg/
>>
>>49879664
>>49879712
> 5e
> S&S
Any game in which anybody other than evil overman #56 can use magic is not sword & sorcery.
>>
>>49879804
Every episode is 4e, now that people are starting to realize how boring 5e combat is. I know 4e drew a lot of hate for this, but it had a combat system that could stay interesting for the full lifetime of the product.
>>
>>49879810
Wait, what, am I reading this incorrectly?
>>
>>49879825
>now that people are starting to realize how boring 5e combat is
I remember when 5e was being finalized a lot of people were saying this from the start.

Then the communities were gate crashed and suddenly everybody started worshipping Wizards cock and 5e could do no wrong.
>>
What homebrews do you allow in your games?
>>
>>49879882
Anything that isn't obnoxious fluff wise and is reasonable mechanic wise.
>>
>>49879918
Not actually helpful.
>>
>>49879882
Anything I've overlooked and approved.
>>
>>49879936
See >>49879935
>>
>>49879480
Depends on your class and purpose for a familiar. Familiars can be useful for fluff, for combat, an for other situations, but the more you use them in dangerous situations, the more likely they will be killed. Wizards cantrips for an outdoors man could include prestidigitation, light (if you lack darkvision), control flames, gust, mold earth, shape water, and mending.
>>
How would you feel about avatar stats, /5e/?
>>
>>49879882
I limit GWM and Sniper to to a maximum of your relevant ability score modifier.
>>
>>49879950
>>49879935
I wasn't aware we were supposed to be helpful on such a vacuous topic.
>>
>>49879048
Depends on how close you want to be to an alchemist as a class. If you just want to make and use acid and alchemist fire then you can pick up tavern brawler and moderate str on another class and have at it. I personally would choose barbarian with this idea and reskin some of the abilities as alchemical mutations and go from there.

If you want all of there abilities in a similar fashion as 3.pf, then you gotta dig up a homebrew or wait for an official release later on some time.
>>
>>49880083
It's no excuse to be completely vapid.
>>
>>49880192
a vapid question deserves a vapid answer.
>>
>>49880218
You must be fun to be around and have friends.
>>
>>49880264
I like to think so, but lately I've been working a lot trying to make money and reduce my student debt.Most of my socializing is with clients or playing DnD with my friends. Thanks for inquiring.
>>
Favorite Homebrew class?
>>
>>49880312
Please don't be this autistic.
>>
>>49880375
no favorites, but i like a lot that aren't particularly obnoxious fluff wise, or unreasonable mechanics wise.
>>
How do I go around Homebrewing some creatures? I've came up with a scenario with lots of animated objects as enemies, but the MM only has a few that aren't really relevant to the situation.

Sorry for the dumb question, but this is my first time DM'ing.
>>
>>49880574
What kind of object?
>>
> PC casts Animate Dead on a corpse
> It suddenly has a bow and a sword

Please tell me you guys don't do this.
>>
>>49874003
My personal characters run the gamut from nobles and deposed kings to urchin peasants.

My NPCs tend to be what I need them to be. Peasants, though? Generally, they'll be able to read a little bit, using a finger and very slowly, depending on where they live.
>>
>>49880590

The idea I have is some paintings coming to life (The people/creatures depicted literally ripping their way out of the painting) because of some magic fuckery.

I'm not really sure how dangerous they can even be, I mean it's fucking paper and unless I have them going around sliding between people's toes, they probably wont be very effective unless somehow the magic animating them has made them uh "solid"? despite being 2D.

Also, a Golem made out of lunch and a slime made of wine.

I'm committed to this dumb idea at this point.
>>
File: Jobclown.png (712B, 64x64px) Image search: [Google]
Jobclown.png
712B, 64x64px
Half Orc Satire Bard Shadow Monk

Grapple an enemy and tumble away into the darkness.

Honk
>>
>>49880652
I once made a golem made of pizza and calzones.

It killed three of the players, and the rest ate it after it "died". It was delicious (I actually cooked calzones that night because of that reason).
>>
>>49880652
Anon, you had me musing about living paintings and I had a wondrous idea.
The PCs enter a hall in an evil wizard's lair, and see him be startled by them and jump into a painting Mario 64 style. A PC runs and tries to jump in and pursuit... but it was just an illusion, and behind the actual painting frame is spikes/a magic trap/a mancatcher/a sphere of annihilation
>>
File: Voldo.jpg (223KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Voldo.jpg
223KB, 1440x900px
>>49880671
Enemy wouldn't teleport with you.
But otherwise you can still make it work, especially with a darkness spell
>>
File: image.jpg (102KB, 640x871px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102KB, 640x871px
I'm playing my first game "In Costume" next week. I've been playing every week for a year. I've been working on playing in character voice's for the past month.

I'm creating a fresh character. Tiefling with point buy, and I'm interested in divination spells. I have a pair of fake horns to wear but am looking for other items.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how to do this well?
>>
>>49880375
simpler the better. generally I prefer homebrew archetypes
>>
>>49880644
I'd say they reanimate with whatever gear they were wielding and wearing when killed and would have proficiency in said gear, but that's just how I would do it.
>>
>>49880671
Is... this a homestuck joke...
>>
>>49880671
Add some warlock in there to get the ability to see through magical darkness.
>>
File: giphy.gif (2MB, 300x152px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2MB, 300x152px
>>49880793
>>
>>49879048
No.
There's an alchemy kit that you can be proficient in, but it's just a fluff item that doesn't do anything.
GMs who would give enough of a shit about crafting to let you actually make potions with it are very rare.
>>
>>49880737
Are the others in your party doing something similar, or have you discussed it with them?
If not, there's a small chance you'll start a new trend there, and a larger one they'll just think it odd and excessive.
I always play characters with a slightly different accent and intonation, easy to maintain but also easy to differentiate from myself. I also bring trinkets when I can; a locket for my holy symbol when I played a cleric, a double-sized glass tankard when I played a halfling to seem smaller, a pair of elastic-banded horns for tiefling. Sometimes a hoodie if they wear a cloak, or "odd" clothes like a chinese shirt thing I got from Goodwill that I drew my character to also wear. But never full outfits, they can be uncomfortable and hard to commit to.
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 640x1136px
>>49880841
These are great ideas! I was already thinking about bringing a crystal ball. That plus the elastic horns. Maybe a jacket similar to my mini. Also great point with the voice, as I've tried to keep up more difficult voices and it never works.

What are your thoughts on class. Wizard/ Sorc/ Cleric for divination as a tiefling.
>>
What kind of creature would go around causing mischief in civilized towns/citires for no reason other than it being amused? Something that could blend in, either via closely resembling a humanoid or with illusion/shapeshifting?
>>
>>49880963
Wizard and Sorcerer let you start with a +3 in your casting stat, but Sorcerer is pretty bare bones and blasty, not great for divination. Cleric is all around very reliable.
Wizard or Cleric I'd say. Consider the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide's variant tiefling options. You can swap your spells for some charming/social spells, or your ASI to +2 Dex +1 Int.
But, you probably shouldn't ask your DM for the wings. Those are generally frowned upon.
>>
I'm going to DM for the first time, and for friends who have maybe one or two sessions of experience in D&D

I'm really stoked on Curse of Stradh, but I hear Mines of Phandelver is mandatory beginers

Should I shoot for that, or do CoS? And should I do CoS, should I go straight for the good stuff, or is Death House really worth all that much investment?
>>
>>49881138
I would not do Death House and go straight to the campaign. Actually, I would probably start LMoP and then when they are at 3rd level I would send them into the mist.

My CoS started at level 3, but the players are not all from Faerun.
>>
>>49881070
Awesome! I'll keep an eye out for Sword Coast :D and that sounds like a plan class wise. Thank you!
>>
>>49881138
CoS would be too much for complete noobs, in pretty much every way

Do LMoP until they get around like level 3-4, you could transition them into CoS easily from there
>>
>>49881138
I wouldn't say anything is mandatory for beginners. Actually, running a straight adventure path can build bad habits for new DMs in my experience.
>>
>>49879825
Then go play 4e and stop shitposting.
>>
>>49881207
They don't actually want to play 4e, it's pretty shit

they just want to bitch about 5e
>>
>>49881207
How is wanting to improve 5e by brainstorming ways to bring the best of 4e into it shitposting?
>>
>>49879480
>Also, what are some good cantrips for a Wilderness Outdoorsman type?

If your limit is two, and you must take Find Familiar for spell, then Prestidigitation, and then either Mending or Ray of Frost.

You get your campfires, clean clothes, flavored food and boiling/cool water like this, and Ray of Frost to.. produce the water

Though Druidic is far more appropriate
Druidcraft, guidance and then maybe, I don't know, Purify Food and Drink
>>
>>49881171
>>49881189

Thanks, I like this advice a lot
>>
>>49881224
I'm not that guy but my best time ever with a monk was in 4e
>>
>>49881276
I dunno how you'd best transition them in though

If they feel like they need to get back to Faerun ASAP to save gundren or whatever then they're either going to be really frustrated and not what to fuck around in barovia or they're going to be really motivated to get out of barovia
>>
File: WTFCleric.jpg (26KB, 464x120px) Image search: [Google]
WTFCleric.jpg
26KB, 464x120px
What does this mean? P. 293 of the PHB.
>>
>>49881501
Clerics have Domains

Gods have Domains

they're suggesting you match them up

IE a Cleric of Tyr would be a War domain Cleric
>>
>>49876563
Bzzt wrong
>>
>>49881531

So how do I figure out which god my deity serves or served. That is where I'm confused. Isn't god and deity the dame thing?
>>
>>49881531
I think it rather more likely that the Anon was referring to the "decide which god your deity serves or served."

>>49881501
At the risk of being boring, most likely what it means is that there was a minor editing mistake that no one caught before the books were printed.

Either that or, if taken literally, that any cleric or any character with the Acolyte background is a god. But that was 99.999999999...% likely to not have been the intention.
>>
>>49881568
>>49881569
Oh

that I dunno. Maybe it's a typo and the meant character, not deity
>>
>>49881339
In other words it's literally the ideal setup for Curse of Strahd.
>>
>>49881501

A god may have multiple domains. Consider Athena, godess of both Knowledge and War (Strategy)

As a Cleric of Athena you would be her agent in either of those regards that you would so choose

Consider Thor. He is both of a god of Storms and Life (fertility), consider Hermes, Life and Trickery, consider Osiris, Light and Death
>>
>>49881626
Which deity do those gods serve?
>>
>>49881626
Again, you are not reading what is actually printed and the most likely source of the Anon's confusion.

You must read what is written, not what you expect to be written.
>>
>>49881662

the devil obviously
>>
>>49881228
Because what I replied to was only bitching about 5e and not providing any ideas or content. Only a few spergs minded that 5.4e anon a while back.

And 5e's combat isn't boring, it's just entirely up to the DM to make it interesting and drain resources so the adventuring day is interesting. When you have people talking about players never moving and then they are not dropping AoEs to get force them to do something besides stand in one place and swing a sword, you will end up with boring combats.
>>
>>49881669

"Decide which god your deity serves or served..."
>>
>>49881662
>>49881669

Ah

I am very silly.
>>
So what can ghosts do?

Can you reliably PC as one, or should you be restricted from learning significant things, such as new skills, or gaining certain stats?
>>
Which class is the most fun and why is it druid?
>>
>>49881766
No, you can't PC as a ghost

one of the UAs had a Revenant PC race, but it's laughably overpowered

ghostwise halfling is kinda ghosty?
>>
>>49881809

You misspelled Bard

But you were pretty close
>>
>>49881823

well, I have a ghost cohort. Brother Vodoo / Daniel Drum type, only I found a way to give him a construct body

Now I kinda wanna work on him so he stays relevant in upper levels, but there's not much I can do if he is unable to do anything other than going on a loop for eternity
>>
>>49877127
A two level dip into fighter is ok, same with a two level dip into warlock. I'd prefer the fighter because of durability but the lock levels will give you a reliable ranged option thanks to EB being the best damage cantrip in the game.
>>
Is there a way to get rid of disadvantage on attack roll cantrips within 5ft?

want to use EBlast in melee
>>
>>49881934
crossbow expert feat
>>
>>49881949
>Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn't
impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls.

I guess cantrips are ranged attack rolls, huh.

guess I'm not going to be using eblast in melee
>>
>>49881970
If you take crossbow expert then you can use eblast within 5ft. without disadvantage

I think its a waste of an asi/feat but its still works
>>
There are quite a few elements of 5e design that make combat harder to run effectively as a DM. by running effectively, I mean making it interesting, fun, and fair.

The big things are that class designs are so limited by daily resource uses, that players will naturally tend towards stagnant gameplay. Moreover, when you do make the players commit their resources, gameplay gets even more stagnant afterwards, because the only optoins become cantrips, which are typically just damage, or attacks, which are just damage.

it also doesn't help things that the interesting combat rules, such as disarming, etc, are buried in the DMG and the least read section of the PHB (not that anyone in this thread bothers to read the PHB).

Anyways, there are several fixes that basically come right from 4e that could spice things up: giving every class access to interesting at will features, that complicate the attacking math, and make it so basic attacking is damage optimal, but not always tactically optimal.

With these abilities should come a renewed focus on positioning. That's why I'm convinced shift should come back.

Also, the DM needs more help with monsters. Monsters should all bring some ability that complicates positioning and player decision trees. Too often, 5e monster design is just a DPS meter attached to a health bar, and the monster features rarely change the player's decisions beyond maybe damage type to use.

And finally, a few classes need some buffs IMO. Barbarians, Rangers, Monks, and Sorcerers.

Anyways, 5.4e anon reporting in.
>>
>>49882038
I know, that's clear though I don't think that's the real intent of crossbow expert

it is also a waste of a feat or asi

i'm the paladin warlock from yesterday and instead of wasting my time with a longsword or rapier or something I figured I'd just blast people right in the face
>>
>>49881823
>one of the UAs had a Revenant PC race, but it's laughably overpowered

Sort of. Fundamentally speaking, a Revenant is a rotting corpse that tends to stare at things very intently. That's probably worth permanent disadvantage on Persuasion checks.
>>
>>49882203
SAGEADVICE

> Is it intentional that the second benefit of Crossbow Expert helps ranged spell attacks?

> Yes, it’s intentional. When you make a ranged attack roll within 5 feet of an enemy, you normally suffer disadvantage (PH, 195). The second benefit of Crossbow Expert prevents you from suffering that disadvantage, whether or not the ranged attack is with a crossbow.
> When designing a feat with a narrow use, we consider adding at least one element that can benefit a character more broadly—a bit of mastery that your character brings from one situation to another. The second benefit of Crossbow Expert is such an element, as is the first benefit of Great Weapon Master. That element in Crossbow Expert shows that some of the character’s expertise with one type of thing—crossbows, in this case—transfers to other things.

WORK RAI AND RAW
>>
>>49882295
ok but there's still the whole

>comes back to life after dying

thing.

If you took that out, then you really wouldn't have a race, as it's kinda the defining feature.

also unless it's a one shot or something why the fuck would a revenant run around with a bunch of adventurers. Even if the revenant's target is the BBEG it's just going to keep going after the target over and over and over until it kills it or whatever

A cool concept would be a full party of revenant, with the same goal target. That'd be fun
>>
I don't like the up-down concious unconcious routine in 5e

last game I was a player in, every combat someone went down. Then, the paladin would heal them for 1 with lay on hands, and they'd get up at 100% combat effectiveness save for their HP.

I'm doing a very low magic, realistic island survival campaign here soon. How could I change how this stuff works to where it isn't so silly?

permanent wounds whenever you're knocked out? maybe you got a swollen eye and have disadvantage on perception checks for a number of days equal to X minus your con modifier, maybe a broken ankle reduces your speed by ten, maybe a broken arm makes that arm unusable.

The goal of this isn't to be a miserly GM and make my players miserable. I just want something less retarded than what currently is in use. Get ripped in fucking half by a dragon? sleep six hours lol you're fine
>>
>>49882441
Lingering Injuries table in the DMG, additional ailments whenever they take massive damage or fall to 0.
Have death saving throws carry over between revives unless they rest.
Exhaustion when you come back from 0.
Punishing the paladin for using their entire turn to bring someone to one hp, they can't sustain that forever.
>>
>>49882441
I think you get tthe wrong idea anout
Combay narrative. Getting rip in half would fall under instant dead rule, not just getting down to 0 hp.
>>
>>49882441
Guess you want everyonee to be Druid. It not like Druid are already god tier on survival campaign already or anything.

But seriously, if you want a "realistic survival" game, use other sysytem. I don't know why people trying to use a super high fantasy system like 5e for something it wasn't designed for.
>>
>>49882367
>comes back to life after dying

That's not really gamebreaking, since whatever killed it likely, among other things, looted his corpse.

Even a Revenant that continuously harries its much more powerful target isn't a gamebreaker. Sooner or later said target is going to notice that whenever the Revenant is killed, he has a tendency to come back. So next time they fight, he'll just cut the fucker's arms and legs off and then carry the Revenant around like an angry, screaming backpack, or otherwise permanently incapacitate but not kill him.
>>
>>49882457
>Punishing the paladin for using their entire turn to bring someone to one hp, they can't sustain that forever.

I was thinking, maybe to heal someone from unconsciousness to being back on their feet and fighting, you have to heal them for 2 x that character's level.

so a level 2 character needs to be healed for 4 to get up and fight

But, any source of healing like that would stabilize, whether or not it was enough to get them up

>>49882474
hyperbole friend

>>49882497
Obviously classes like druid, wizard, cleric, aren't allowed.

Already talked with my players about this. They were totally down. We've got a fighter, rogue, barb, spell-less ranger.

couple other homebrew things to make them all a bit better at survival, like the Rogue having the Healer feat, barbarian is able to scrounge for food better like the ranger, fighter is a former craftsman and can make crude spears and shit
>>
>>49882537
But that's the point. If you have to homebrew or changd the system that much. It already a different game. Why don't you just pick up a different system from the start.

Laziness to learn new system? Reluctant to change? Either way, you are the problem.
>>
>>49882565
That's bullshit, anon.

the "changes I've made to the system" are giving each character a free feat related to survival, and introducing a couple of rules (most of which are already variant rules in the DMG or whatnot) to make some stuff less dumb.

Sorry the campaign I'm going to be playing in my home with my friends doesn't match up with what YOU think the system should be
>>
Am I crazy for contemplating how to turn this runescape quest into a solid several session dungeon crawl?

http://2007.runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Underground_Pass
>>
>>49882592
You already ban all full caster. That's already 5/8 class or 62.5%. This isn't a problem? how?

You are already trying to homebrew a "Survival Island", when the system is assume that the players will have easy access to 1st and 2nd level spell and basic shop. This isn't a problem? how?

And I bet you are gonna nerf stuff like 16 CON Barbarian can survive 6 day without eating and has no ill effect too. This isn't a problem? how?

Seriously, with just class restriction, you already change the game radically. Since many of the enemies are reliant on the party having access to some sort of magic to bypass their resistance or immunity. (ie. undead and lycant).
>>
>>49882884
Oh, I get it. You only play full casters and are triggered

my players said it was cool and they didn't want to play full casters. Cool your autism
>>
>>49882884
The math is actually not reliant on it at all. Those enemies tend to be too easy with the bypass.
>>
>>49880029
Goddamn make them?
You better not be like the last guy who promised god stats then fucked off.
>>
>>49882960
So are half casters allowed? How will the players counter enemy casters?
>>
>>49882765
Runescape is not a terrible game to crib from at all. The number of non-combat skills means you still have dungeons with a lot of other things besides monsters and the devs love weird magical tales.
>>
Would I be that guy if I made a Druid Furbolg to replace my dead pally?
>>
>>49882960
Nah, If you have to ban more than half the class to make your "playground" viable then you choose the wrong system.
>>
>>49882441
>HP equals Constitution score plus HD
First level characters are harder to kill (barb has 24-28HP, wizard has 18 with 12 Con), 10th level characters are easier (barb has 95 instead of 125, wizard has 54 either way), and enemies are much easier to kill (gladiator has 83 instead of 112 HP). By 20 the barb has 165 instead of 245, and the wizard has 94 instead of 102.

>Lingering injuries and massive damage
Massive damage makes high level enemies always crazy threatening, and let's players have a distinct advantage on lower CR enemies. Lingering injuries provide debuffs from taking hits.

>Players don't fall unconscious at 0HP
They are injured - move at half speed and have disadvantage on rolls. They can choose to fall unconcious to stabilize automatically. This way even if they are healed they will accumulate injuries by hitting 0 each time, and there is less dire need to immediately heal the most of they are simply hurt. It also means players at 0HP are still perfectly valid targets.
>>
File: 1467232149557.png (821KB, 533x803px) Image search: [Google]
1467232149557.png
821KB, 533x803px
>>49882765
I stole this for my campaign. Lots of good traps and puzzles in their quests.
>>
>>49883261
I would also just allow -5 to hit for a +10 bonus to damage.
>>
>>49883262
Holy shit, this can't be real.
>>
>>49874329
As long as you aren't just rolling on the charts and using that as the sum total of your background, the suggested backgrounds are pretty decent springboards.

Sure, you want your players to develop their own back stories, but there's nothing wrong with using the premades as templates to modify as you see fit.
>>
>>49882367
>>comes back to life after dying
So? PCs almost never die unless they're level 1. It's not like that has any effect on combat.
>>
>>49883379
Older sister/aunt/etc.

I'm sure. Just because he's a gawky little Chud doesn't mean they aren't related. He might also be tragically retarded/developmentally disabled.
>>
>>49883155
I mean, he only said he removed wizard, cleric, and druid.
>>
>>49874003
How would you guys suggest handling a player that is playing as the slimiest conman "with a heart of gold"? This dude has not a single offensive spell, transforms into me (the only not chaotic stupid PC) to swindle and piss people off, and constantly tries to charm the players.

My gruff, rough around the edges LG PC warned him that if he ever charms my PC again, he'd better be prepared to defend himself because he will kill him.

Thoughts? I'm not metagaming and calling him out for pissing literally everyone off at my character by masquerading as him, but I'm not okay with him constantly trying to steal from us and puppetmaster the group.
>>
>>49883989
If your DM doesn't see a problem with that, I would consider bringing it up privately and explaining why it's actively making the game less fun for you.
>>
>>49883884
He said "class like" wizard,cleric and druid.
Guess what those 3 example have in common.
>>
>>49884009
He is a really cool dude outside of game but he blatantly cheats on rolls and that pisses me off so bad. His character sheet should say "God" because he conveniently rolled like max stats on every single stat roll and hit dice roll making him leaps and bounds ahead of everyone on everything, including hp as a d6 hit dice caster. He also plays like a complete shithead.

I spoke to the dm and he agrees wholeheartedly. He assured me that his character will be meeting an unfortunate end soon and that he realizes he will have to babysit all of his rolls from now on.
>>
>>49883989
How is stealing from the party, manipulating the party and pissing people off related to "heart of gold"?

Seriously, his character sound like a one-shot session villian. Better just kill him off to clear your name.
>>
>>49879825
That could not be more wrong. It had great concepts even in combat, but 4e was like babby's first RPG. Super simplified, everything was literally done for you.

I played it for a year. I tried other books, I did everything. The sanctioned GM we had admitted 4e had the lowest sales of all WotC licensed products just under 3.5 in terms of actual sales.
>5e is even worse than those.
>>
>>49884085
Because he insists that by taking 5 gold from all of his misdeeds and giving it to orphans then teaching them to steal is good!

This is my fucking party man. They don't have a single objection. Don't even get me started on when the cleric and wizard tried to kill me for attacking monsters that were attacking us then got mad when my PC retaliated.
>>
>>49880644
Nah. The animated corpse had whatever gear was left on it. If it had a sword when it died and it wasn't looted, then it has a sword when it raises back up.
>>
>>49884070
If he rolled in front of people then boohoo to you. If he didn't then your DM is an idiot
>>
>>49881682
This. I've had a lot of fun with 5e, and while it has its shortcomings, it requires a competent GM for everything to flow properly. It has been a great deal of fun doing Tyranny of Dragons.
>>
>>49884103
Say you don't believe a single thing his swindle lie tongue spourt out and smite his face.

Justify that it's LG act because you successfully lessen the would-be thief and chaos in the world.
>>
>>49884097
>4e
>simplified
The interactions were complex as fuck with every character having between 3 to 6 important decisions to make each round. If you didn't make those decisions or glossed over them, you massively nerf yourself and your party. It's what made me stop playing 4e: I realized I'm pretty bad at wargames.
>>
Making a tiefling warlock, any tips on how to not be a generic CE type with it?

>Current Patron route will be Old One
>Pact is Pact of the blade (For now)
>>
>>49884184
Be a NG or CG?

You make a pact with humanity collective unconciousness to take resposibility for your action.

Then you go on with your Japanese highschooler life by-day, ace investigator by night.
>>
>>49884184
Just don't be a dick? Do that and you'll probably fall somewhere in the neutral spectrum, which is good for adventurers, particularly 'antihero' types like warlocks.
>>
>>49884134
He hasn't made a single stat or hp roll in front of us and got super offended when we implied his rolls were too good. We made him cut back his stats very slightly and dropped it. We didn't think he'd do it on HP too and it didn't seem like it was worth marginalising the new guy over.

We aren't used to having to babysit a grown man and expect him not to cheat.

Like I said, the dm told me that his character is going to meet an unfortunate end and he will be openly rolling all of his shit from now on. It's just frustrating having to deal with the repercussions for the time being.

>>49884175
The dm already told him that his charms will be disadvantaged against me because I'm hostile to him and my PC warned him that he will kill him if he tries. I'm really apprehensive about attacking other characters because I think it just ruins the fun for everyone. I would guaranteed kill him. No doubt but I want him to be able to enjoy himself in his own way, just without ruining it for everyone else.
>>
>>49884207
But then how would my senpai notice me?

>>49884213
I mean thats obvious. But I'm thinking in terms of making a deal with a Old One usually has a shit ton of negatives associated with that. Or am I overthinking characters?
>>
>>49883023
>How will the players counter enemy casters?

Half casters were tentatively allowed but nobody wanted to play one, save for the guy who wanted to play that ranger thing that gives them superiority die and takes away their spells. I actually wanted someone to go paladin so they could have some source of magic healing but nobody wanted to.

as I said, my players were totally on board with the very low magic setting. The island survival thing was in large part their idea.

Enemy casters will be exceedingly rare; it's a deserted island.

I'm drawing a lot of inspiration from Legend of Grimrock 2 for this. Prisoners whose ship crashed, they start off with nothing but rags, turns out the island is the home of a particularly insane Wizard who has riddled the place with his experiments gone wrong, puzzles, traps etc

>>49883155
what about that causes you to get so pissy? So what if some classes are banned?

They're not banned because I don't like full casters. I normally play a caster of some sort personally. They're banned because me and all my players agreed that being able to just magically create food and water and shelter completely cheapens the whole experience we're going for, and makes stuff like the ranger's food scrounging pointless.

banning Bard, Wizard, Sorcerer, and Cleric and using a couple variant rules does not make this a completely different system.
>>
>>49884217
If you tell him 'I'm going to kill you if you charm me again', and he subsequently charms you, and you know it (several spells denote that you know you were charmed when the effect ends), then you absolutely SHOULD attempt to kill him. Else it reinforces bad behaviors. If he throws a fit and leaves, good riddance.

>>49884224
Not all GOOs are evil. Hell, several aren't even aware that they're creating warlocks - that's how far above mortals they are. We're not even insects to them, we're like bacteria that profit from their existence.
>>
>>49884184
undying light my nigga

get resitance to both fire and radiant, and get +cha to both when you cast a spell that deals either (Hellish Rebuke!)

also as literally everyone has said blade sucks, it's fucking lame
>>
>>49884177
4e was objectively leagues simpler than most give it credit for. Once you learn what at-wills you can do, your combat lineup on your turn is literally to fire as many off as you can and then do anything else required to cheese as much damage/healing per turn. And without even having to move. 4e was garbage. I am sorry anyone thinks otherwise, they must be trump supporters.
>>
>>49884184
Undying Light from UA: Light, Dark, Underdark!

The Archfey isn't explicitly evil.
>>
>>49884224
Most GoO doesn't care. In the book, they even giving you example of warlock stealing a bit of GoO power without the other of party knowledge.

Or just go with Persona / SMT route.
>>
>>49884184
>>49884224
Warlock pacts aren't necessary about making a deal with some evil creature, and some of the pacts might happen against your will.
>>
>>49884224
>Deal with an old one
If you read the PHB, I'm pretty sure that oftentimes, the GOO's don't even realize a warlock is drawing power from them. The Warlock is a leech, a mosquito.
>>
>>49884228
Because as a game designer, your idea is freaking stupid.

You should use the right tool for the job. Not trying to bend the tool to fit your need.
>>
>>49883379
What's wrong with it anon?
>>
>>49884232
That's a very good point. I was coming at all wrong. Alright then.

>>49884237
What makes blade suck so badly?

>>49884249
Yeah I'm checking that now.

>>49884252
>>49884258
Honestly all this is makin me reconsider the GoO. I was envisioning a bit of a struggle with the patron

>>49884255
That's true.
>>
>>49879048
There's an Alchemist (Eberron) Wizard subclass that brews potions from spell slots
>>
>>49881554
Why? I have 4th level spell slots now
>>
>>49884240
Man, dude, I played 4e during the entirety of its run. You could totally just roll off your at-wills and blow your encounters whenever. But you would suck and you'd make your team objectively worse for you having been there.

I played a fighter most often and that shit demanded you be on your game. You needed to know where to move and when, down to the square. If, and when, you should mark and when you should use your Combat Challenge punish. If, and when, you should use your encounter powers (status effects and positioning are far more important to the average character than straight damage). Choosing your daily powers is super important as well, since you had options for encounter-long harrying or a spike of enemy control.

On an average round, I had to make like 5 critical decisions that would change how the rest of the fight played out. Were you like playing a Ranger or something, whose sole job is to threat control via huge damage (still required more decisions than current 5e paradigm)?
>>
>>49878369
The only thing i miss is that tanks could actually tank. Other than that having to keep track of all them powers sucked if i wanted a spell book i woulda played a wizard.
>>
>>49884295
It's generally not worth using the blade, because you get a cantrip that's better even without using an invocation or two on it, and you can upgrade it with your invocations.

Eldritch Blast is the shit.
>>
>>49884228
>>49884274
For comparison, you are as bad as Smash bros. tourney fag and smogonfag for pokemon. Trying to push a game into something it isn't design for.
>>
>>49884295
Also, just a quick note, I play a Lawful Good Fiend Pact Warlock.

Was going to be a bard, highly proficient with musical instruments and performing, good guy all around. A rival troupe of actors hired some armed thugs to injure him and his coworkers, and they got a little carried away, murdered a few and were going to kill him. Cried out for help in the last few moments, and the only one that answered was Fraz-urb'luu, Lord of Deception.

Now he's out to right wrongs with power he regrets taking, and good ol' Fraz enjoys the fact that he has a completely reliable pawn.

Really, Warlock is pretty flexible.
>>
>>49884295
>What makes blade suck so badly?
It's not terrible, but Warlocks aren't a melee chassis unless you build specifically for it. But as >>49884338 said, Eldritch Blast is almost always better. If you haven't played a lot and got a fair bit of system mastery, going with a blaster is probably a better choice.

>Honestly all this is makin me reconsider the GoO. I was envisioning a bit of a struggle with the patron
There are lots of ways to fluff it. Maybe your 'pact' was made without your knowledge - you were researching some occult shit and accidentally tapped into Cthulhu's dreams or something. So now you can read minds and blow shit up, but your dreams are now tainted by your patrons, and it influences the way you think. Maybe you catch yourself slipping Aklo phrases into your speech (which is troubling because you probably dont' speak it), or maybe you have a callous disregard for life in combat because you have an inkling of how insignificant we all are.
>>
>>49884274
See you're still not actually saying anything.

You just don't like me banning a couple classes in my personal game that I'll be playing in my home with close friends.

I'm not sure how I'll live with that.

>>49884295
bladelock is bad for multiple reasons

first, it offers no defensive options. You're still a D8 with light armor, just with a fancy sword.

second, you need to waste invocation slots just so you can take things you *need* to get to even come close to consider being a melee character.

third, Eldritch Blast does 1d10 Force with a range of 120 feet. For a single invocation you get to add your CHA mod to that, making it the strongest cantrip in the game.

Fourth, you could go Tomelock instead and legitimately be a better melee combatant. Grab yourself a Quarterstaff and take Greenflame Blade, Shilelegh, and one other cantrip.

Now the only stat you NEED is CHA. Even this is beaten out by just using eldritch blast.
>>
>>49884338
I figured that out once I hit the Invocations. In that case what would you recommend?

>>49884349
Right I feel like I'm actually shooting myself in the foot because the more I envision my character the more I think I designed a lot of him to make him fit to the current story. As it stands my party is running Out of the Abyss. During an off-week 1 shot me and a fellow party member who has since left the group came into the service of what can be considered an old one.

Since then this old one has basically set us onto the path to deal with the demons. So I figured making a character related to that old one would make sense story wise.
>>
>>49884339
You spend too much time on 4chan

Go to a party or something.
>>
>>49884228
Just out of curiosity, why would you ban the entire class rather than just ban problem spells, like create/purify food and drink?
>>
>>49884381
I don't see why that's a problem - there's no reason you CAN'T make that the sort of relationship your character has with the GOO. If you have a minute, try and give this a listen:

http://www.madadventurers.com/stories-of-the-fifth-age-ep-80-warlocks/
>>
>>49884327
If anything, I believe 4e's style of combat would have done much better in the type of setting that 3.0 and 3.5 did. Up until level 4, combat could be evenly matched by some martials and casters.
Fifth level it gapped hard and martials fell behind majorly.

I'll give 4e the credit that it kept the classes all feeling at similar power levels. I've just, in a year, never encountered any challenge that was anything more than spending the first turn dropping any AoEs or forcing enemies to make will saves, a reposition here and there to get an advantageous position. If a party spends longer than one turn on fodder then they're going to have a bad time during a boss fight with minions. if he doesn't have minions, focusing 90% of boss fights down by forcing them to roll constant saves will make the battle virtually play itself. And that is what our wizard did. She left the blasting to the other casters/melee.
We had people go down, but no one officially died thanks to heal checks and low-level spammable magic, and healing surges.
>>
>>49884381
At level 2 with a focus on blasting, your best invocations are Agonizing Blast and Repelling Blast. Eldritch spear is also a good choice, but 300 feet is almost excessive.

As you level, you should focus more on utility invocations, like beast speech, misty visions, ascendant step, and witch sight. If you have a tome, book of ancient secrets is almost mandatory. If you're a chainlock, chains of carceri and voice of the chain master both have uses.

Bladelocks CAN work, but you have several mandatory invocations: thirsting blade and lifedrinker at their respective levels, armor of shadows (until you get your hands on some magic studded leather or better armor proficiency), fiendish vigor (until you can affort to cast armor of agathys every combat) and maybe otherworldly leap (ascendant step is better if you're ranged, but it hampers your melee ability).

Do NOT take any invocation that lets you cast a spell once per long rest by expending a spell slot. they're pretty much all trash for that cost - leave those to the full casters.
>>
>>49884428
>Fifth level it gapped hard and martials fell behind majorly.
>martials fell behind
>in 4e
Pretty much all the martial classes were top tier in their respective roles. The only role they didn't have natively was a pure controller, arguably the least overall important role.
>>
>>49884466
I said they fell behind in 3.0 and 3.5. I admitted that they were pretty well evened out in 4e.
>>
>>49884370
Makes a fair point. I was thinking more for longer encounters which I know just spam Eldritch blast. But with a auto profiecent long sword. Switching between 1d8 / 1d10 melee isn't such an awful thing right?

To expand on the patron idea. It was more of my warlock calling out for aid while fucking around in the underdark and being jumped by Drow asshats.

>>49884380
With where the chracter would jump in. I was getting 2 invocations so I had Agonizing blast and something for in-game. Though I'm digging that Tome idea, and doing some digging into that.

>>49884417
Playing that now, and taking all this into consideration. Thank you.

>>49884463
I'm definitely moving on from the bladelock idea. Though I'll admit I'm really favoring the more or less combat useless invocation of Eyes of the rune keeeper.
>>
>>49884480
I think the only use of bladelock is if you go 2/3 paladin to get smite, which you can use your warlock spell slots to power, giving you a bunch 5d8s to add on to an attack every short rest... but it still pales compared to blastlock.
>>
>>49884480
>Switching between 1d8 / 1d10 melee isn't such an awful thing right?
Not really, but you should use a rapier rather than a longsword if you want to be optimal. Since you only have light armor proficiency, you want high dex, which favors finesse weapons over versatile ones. But yeah, having a not-useless melee option is good for Warlocks, since a few of their best unique spells are close range anyways (armor of agathys, hellish rebuke, arms of hadar).

>Though I'll admit I'm really favoring the more or less combat useless invocation of Eyes of the rune keeeper.
It's not bad, but don't take it if you go with a tome. Comprehend Languages is a ritual spell you can pick up.
>>
>>49874059
Depends on what you personally feel like. You can totally be a Priest of the Hells, and be a Warlock.
>>
>>49884061
Access to healing spells?
>>
>>49874199
>My name is Gregori Hall.
>Oh, my family have been maintaining the Meadhall for our Thane for generations.
>Well, of course he sponsered my appointment as Journeyman Huscarl, that's why my Chainmail has his sigil on it.
>Iunno, he just told me to do him proud. I think as long as I do a good job as a Huscarl, it won't be too bad.

Imma use this. Cheers mate, brilliance.
>>
>>49884478
I'm just having a hard time reconciling your experience with everything I learned and played in 4e. Controllers were important, but they didn't turn fights into yawn-fests. The only thing that might have come close to that was a high level, unerrataed orb wizard. Even then, that required extremely specific set-ups.
>>
>>49883409
Hey, those charts can be pretty fun. I usually roll off them, then turn that sentance into a Paragraph or two. Pretty good way to make a character if you don't have a concept when you sit down.
>>
>>49884217
>We made him cut back his stats very slightly and dropped it.

Should have made him reroll his stats in front of everyone, or at least the DM.
>>
>>49884502
I'm sorry.

>2/3 Paladin
What do mean?

But yeah I think I'm just switching over to Blastlock

>>49884509
High dex, right. To be honest I rolled pretty shit for my stats. Strength:8, Dexterity:10, Constitution:13. Intelligence:11, Wisdom:10, Charisma:18

I'm starting to look over everything. But I'll keep that in mind.
>>
>>49884550
Multiclassing with paladin.
>>
>>49884536
What it also could have boiled down to is that our party of five consisted of two fighters, both using greatswords, our wizard, a blaster/shifter druid and a multiclass Cleric/Warlock.

Honestly, one encounter here and there would make us sweat a bit, but even ambushes, surprise rounds, and fighting in disadvantageous situations hardly ever gave us a rough time.

We were once all shunted through a trapdoor (Long story short) into a cellar against six lizardfolk who had darkvision. Needless to say, we didn't. Our cleric was by no means first initiative, but even with the penalties to hit our first fighter (level five) minced a CR4 lizardfolk in one turn for over eighty damage.

Our second fighter did the same albeit less, about 50+ damage. Unlike the first fighter he didnt crit. Wizard basically hit the rest with a mind affecting spell. The encounter was over even when they had a surprise round. Grappled cleric was released when her opposer failed his will save.
>>
>>49884553
Alright, got you.
>>
Wait.. Fog Cloud doesn't really impair your party in 5e? Since advantage and disadvantage cancel each other benefit.
>>
>>49884636
Yeah. The advantage you get for you opponent not being able to see you is canceled out by you not being able to see them. Same with Darkness (which is back to fucking up people with darkvision, so it's still pretty good).

It won't stop creatures who don't rely on sight, but you can turn that to your advantage too (see: Warlock with Devil's sight invocation and Darkness spell).
>>
File: Capture.jpg (112KB, 505x747px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
112KB, 505x747px
I want to make a Spear and Shield Paladin, he's a simple folk hero from a small town, didn't have the money for a fancy sword.

My GM's cool with UA, so to make my choice not total shit I wanna take this feat.

My question is, can I do that "bonus action to get ready for a charge" thing after making an attack? because that's wild.

I could attack, then use my bonus action to potentially get another attack that does additional damage? Could I smite on that attack? Because 1d8+str + 1d8+ 2d8 is pretty nice at level 2.
>>
>>49884717
>My question is, can I do that "bonus action to get ready for a charge" thing after making an attack? because that's wild.
Yup.

>Could I smite on that attack?
Yup.

Spears for days.
>>
>>49884725
Also can I use the Bonus action "increase reach by 5ft" while I'm one handing the spear with a shield in the other hand?
>>
File: ADzdRl.jpg (78KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
ADzdRl.jpg
78KB, 640x512px
>>49884764
Yup.
>>
>>49884764
Nothing says it requires two-handing it, so yeah.
>>
File: Tela Overmap.png (753KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Tela Overmap.png
753KB, 800x600px
Rate my overmap /5eg/
>>
>>49884996
Looks nice. Names seem a bit wacky, but that's standard fantasy. Is it Mediterranian themed?
>>
File: 1437940462060.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1437940462060.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>49885012
Yup! I've got a Mediterranean political campaign for my party lined up. Really excited.
>>
Can a male druid become female steeder? Can they get pregnant by beastie while wildshape? should I keep all the nonsense lewdness contain in /pfg/?
>>
>>49884097
>The sanctioned GM we had admitted 4e had the lowest sales of all WotC licensed products just under 3.5 in terms of actual sales.

That's false though. Even Mearls was forced to admit that each edition was more successful than the last. Sounds like your sanctioned GM was talking out his ass.
>>
>>49885152
no no yes
>>
>>49885152
>1st point
Yes, see: Stories about Loki's transformations as a horse

>2nd point
Yes, see: Same as above

>3rd point
Please.
>>
Didn't see Fifth Edition Foes in the homebrew mega. Anyone got it?
>>
>>49885152
Yes.
Yes but it doesn't matter because there is a short time limit on wildshapr
Yes
>>
>>49877584
Calm down. It would be easy enough to create a dwelf template. Treat it like running a monster character.

Homebrew isn't the end of the world.

Years ago in one of my old 3e games I had a player who was a dworc.
>>
>>49885373
I think it's in the regular mega third party folder
>>
Is purple dragon knight that bad..?
>>
>>49886077
Yeah, it is. It expands the use of the fighter's base resources but not in a way that is significant or useful enough to be worthwhile.
>>
> party member who doesn't start with +3 in their primary stat

The min-maxer inside me silently scream.
>>
How do I Shin Shoryuken (aka counter) as a Sun Soul monk?
>>
>>49886140
>party memeber who doesn't start with +3 in any of his main stats
>dies literally in the first turn
>>
>>49886195
By giving up important ASI that should go on Dex/Wis or Con and spending it on the shitty feat that gives you 1 expertise die and 1 maneuver from Battlemaster and picking the one which is basically a counter.
>>
>>49886424
new thread
Thread posts: 351
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.