[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 339
Thread images: 35

File: erinyes_by_eahowell-d95v4bm.jpg (259KB, 800x960px) Image search: [Google]
erinyes_by_eahowell-d95v4bm.jpg
259KB, 800x960px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread:
>>49874003

How do we make INT an important stat, instead of the universal dumpstat for non-wizards?
>>
>How do we make INT an important stat, instead of the universal dumpstat for non-wizards?

We don't, we don't need to bring back any of that nerd stemlord revenge shit.
>>
>>49886424
By allowing mystics, EKs and ATs
>>
4e was pretty good.
>>
What about mounted combat? Never see anyone talk about it. The mounted feat looks good as well.
>>
File: Ingenuity.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Ingenuity.pdf
1B, 486x500px
With the upcoming Psion/Mystic class coming in as well, hopefully INT will see a bit more use. Besides that I've seen attempts at fixes which grants PCs extra languages/tool proficiencies and even "ingenuity dice" which you can add to attack rolls/ability checks/saving throws.

Pic related
>>
>>49886459
>EKs and ATs

Neither should use spells offensively, at least not ones that rely on INT in any way. Maaaaybe high-ish level AT can swing spells once he gets the surprise spells feature.
>>
How do I Shin Shoryuken (counter) as a Sun Soul Monk?
>>
>>49886424
My DM gives us more lenience on convoluted ideas and problem solving the higher our intelligence is, also as an Inquisitive Rogue I have it (Not for much mechanics wise)
>>
>>49886480
I kind of like it, but it's also another tiny feature everyone has to keep track of. Maybe I would rework it as a feat, giving a character 2 ingenuity dice.
>>
File: Untrained Skill Checks.png (377KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Untrained Skill Checks.png
377KB, 640x480px
>>49886424
>How do we make INT an important stat, instead of the universal dumpstat for non-wizards?
I give an extra skill/language/tool proficiency for every bonus the Int skill provides. So one extra proficiency at 12 Int, 3 extra proficiences at 16.

It's pretty 3.PF'ish, but it seems to work OK.
>>
File: grung.jpg (76KB, 1000x488px) Image search: [Google]
grung.jpg
76KB, 1000x488px
Two weeks to VGtM in WPN stores and Roll20, get hype!
>>
>>49886459
Who bans Eldritch Knights?

Also
>EKs investing in Intelligence
Why? EKs aren't very good offensive casters. Their spell slots and spells known are too limited... and because defensive/self-buff spells don't rely on a stat very much, you don't have to be as MAD.
>>
File: fucking bill.jpg (6KB, 187x200px) Image search: [Google]
fucking bill.jpg
6KB, 187x200px
Does anyone have a good image for a wood elf female monk?
Realistic and non-sexualized preferable.
>>
File: 1454048998817.jpg (227KB, 1203x664px) Image search: [Google]
1454048998817.jpg
227KB, 1203x664px
>>49886788
I suppose this one COULD be a monk, but you're probably better off asking a character-art thread than a General like this.
>>
File: 1474451112391.jpg (110KB, 908x879px) Image search: [Google]
1474451112391.jpg
110KB, 908x879px
>>49886788
I think that might be an elf?
>>
>>49886761
How's it going to work on roll 20? Just a big addition to the compendium for purchasers?
>>
>>49886453
>nerd stemlord revenge
What?
>>
>>49886860
Basically, most of the stuff is going to be via the compendium. There's also going to be tokens for all the new monsters and 7 maps set up with dynamic lighting and such.
>>
The other GM at my college's RPG club told me the other day that he wanted to join my campaign as a player. I'm not opposed to the idea, but his schedule prevents him being there for the full session time. I had an idea to work around that in-game.

Essentially, his character (don't know what it is yet) would be a magical projection of his (I assume) actual self, by machinations that are tied to the BBEG's plot. The idea is so that I can say his character temporarily fades out of existence whenever the player has to leave.

I haven't talked with the guy about any of this yet; the original conversation was like thirty seconds. Before I bring it up with him, is this a bad idea? Any advice?
>>
So i'm writing up some custom races for an underwater campaign i'm developing.

The stand in for the archetype of dwarves is a crustacean-people divided into two types Crabfolk and Lobsterfolk. I have the mechanics for the Crabfolk down pretty well, but I can't quite figure out the Lobsterfolk.

Here's a link to the working document for them.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CCPqCcX4-GTocIQ9ASjZomuB-Q6dmfWVK8QLVoj_WiI/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>49887177
>underwater campaign
Nobody likes those. There's a reason nobody reads Aquaman, and Vashj'ir is the least popular Warcraft zone.
>>
Can every race become a vampire or is it only humans?
>>
>>49887185
Fuck you, the underwater missions in Mario 64 were the best.
>>
>>49887185
Nobody reads Aquaman because of the pop culture stereotype.

Vashi'ir is the least popular Warcraft zone because of the shitty way they implemented movement and the circuit for questing was ridiculous.

Not because they were underwater.
>>
>>49887199
Only humans, same with lycanthropy.
>>
>>49887177
Essentially the Lobster karkinoi are scavengers. The collect, horde, and trade things they scavenge, but are mistrustful of their own kind.

How could this be implemented mechanically?

What stats suit a scavenger? Wisdom for perception and insight into others?
>>
>>49887199
Depends on the setting. But for most settings, sure, any race can be a vampire.
>>
>>49887139
It seems really complicated, in my instances characters just hang out in the background and don't aid in combat. If the character has to say something there they are very minimally roleplayed by the DM.

Do what you think your party will be ok with and what you can do though.
>>
>>49887219
>>49887244
So let's assume I play a Human can I become a vampire somehow? How will that affect my stats?
>>
>>49887259
The curse turns your Str Con and Dex to 19. I know that off the top of my head.
>>
>>49887270
You automatically get STR 18/DEX 18/CON 18 when you become a vampire. You get a bite attack that does a moderate amount of necrotic damage (reduces max HP until long rest). Regeneration 20 HP/turn unless you're immersed in running water (which damages you 20 HP/turn instead) or in sunlight. Sunlight kills you in a couple of rounds. You have a Charm attack based on your CHA proficiency bonus. I think you can use it 3 times a day, and it doesn't take concentration and is long-lasting (save every hour? day? never?) unless you or an ally damages the charmed creature, which gives another save. You can shapechange into a bat or mist and I think maybe a wolf or something. When you are reduced to 0 HP you don't die, just turn into mist and have to go back to your grave for 2 hours before getting one HP back. When you kill someone via bite attack they turn into a lesser vampire (thrall), and have to obey you. If you have one of your thralls drink your blood it turns into a real vampire and stops having to obey you. This is rare because vampires don't like setting thralls free.
>>
>>49887199
> vampire isn't it own race
Do you even Zendikarr
>>
>>49887358
Zendikar vampire sucks, and what's worse, doesn't represent Zendikar Vampires, it's like giving the stats of a Halfling to an Ogre and call it a day.
>>
> DM allow everything published by WotC
Are there any fun option where one wouldn't expect? Maybe in Plane Shift Zendikar / Innistrad?
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (41KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
41KB, 1280x720px
So what is a good LG aligned god to go paladin or cleric for? I want to solve every encounter with sentient beings by (trying to) convert them and by being really nice to everyone.
>>
>>49887375
Innistrad sucks, it only has weaker version of humans
Zendikar has Kor which are medium sized halflings in stats, Merfolk which are varieties of elves with swim speed in stats, Goblins which are ok, Elves which are elves in stats and Vampires who look nothing like Zendikar vampires and have tiefling stats with an impossible to use (unless GM handwaving) feature.

Just dip 1 level in Ambush Ranger and go with whatever.
>>
Anyone have a cool music for druid wild shaping for the first time? should I go with Digimon theme?
>>
Is DM's guide useful? There's pretty much nothing interesting besides some advice
>>
>>49887464
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtoffS7W-fE
>>
>>49887470
Yeah, just useless stuff like how to handle encounters, how CR works, what to throw at your players, etc. Like I said, useless stuff, you just throw Balors at them till they're dead and that should be enough.
>>
>>49887472
That might work! Thanks!
>>
>>49887470
Yes. The advice is good for beginner DMs (and older DMs who are bad but don't realize it), it tells you how to build encounters and build custom monsters, it tells you how to handle giving out treasure and magic items, it has a ton of variant rules for adjusting the game to fit, and its guides on adventure and NPC creation are decent.
>>
>>49887484
That's what I do and my players don't complain. :)
>>
>>49887405
>I want to solve every encounter with sentient beings by (trying to) convert them and by being really nice to everyone.
Bane.
>>
File: Bane?.png (563KB, 569x802px) Image search: [Google]
Bane?.png
563KB, 569x802px
>>49887539
>>
>>49887590
He's nice guy.
For you.
>>
>>49887139

Have him be under a serious sleep curse, where he must do battle with a Dream Demon every night before he wakes up.

He only wakes when the PC arrives, and if his schedule ever clears up, free Plot Hook
>>
>>49887539
I'm looking for a god that likes to help others and offer second chances. I don't think Bane fits the bill.
>>
>>49887661
Bane helps other by taking away their so-called freedom and giving them comfortable life in servitude. No more worrying about what to do and how to live, your friendly neighbourhood Tyrant will do all the thinking for you.
>>
Strahd doesn't seem especially powerful, we can easily take him.
>>
> Can't play as Plane Walker until I reach level 13
why!!
>>
>>49887895
And only if you're full caster
>>
Any tips on running a pirate themed high seas adventure?
>>
>>49888018
all planewalker are fullcaster.
>>
File: Oath_of_Gideon.jpg (662KB, 1227x900px) Image search: [Google]
Oath_of_Gideon.jpg
662KB, 1227x900px
>>49888046
>objectively a paladin
>planeswalker
>>
>>49887661
>I'm looking for a god that likes to help others and offer second chances
So...Bane?
>>
>>49888101
Isn't he a Hieromancer? Pretty much a transmutation wizard.
>>
>>49888179
>law-based magic
>transmutation

no, he's pretty much perfectly a paladin.
>>
>>49888179
He's martial as fuck, wizards can't do the martial stuff he can do, also Garruk
>>
>>49887895
Do you think they'd realistically be a lower level than that going by 5e's power levels?
>>
Brainstorming a pixie/sprite PC race. Should a tiny race have martial penalties beyond an extrapolation of how small creatures are limited?
Should I do it like 4e, where they have the ability to shrink items they keep on their person to a suitable size for them, and have the same weapon restrictions as small creatures with them?
Should it be more? Something like halve the damage die, or reduce it by 2 steps? Or should I keep it minimal, since there's not a good way to reduce the power of spellcasters similarly?
>>
>>49888229
5e Wizard can do martial! He could also be a Cleric of Law.
Garruk is Druid.
>>
>>49888200
>>49888229

Cleric
>>
>>49888273
It depends on what benefits you're giving them
>>
>>49888275
>actually good in melee combat
>rarely if ever uses his magic

sorry, no, he's a paladin.
>>
>>49888333
Clerics can be fine in melee.
And just because a Cleric can cast doesn't mean they're casting constantly.
>>
>>49888274
>wizard can do martial
Pfffhahahaha, yeah, show me how you use that dagger while also having 1d6 HPs and no armor
>>
>>49888349
BLADE
L
A
D
E

SINGER
I
N
G
E
R
>>
>>49888341
>>49888275
Taking into account he doesn't get powers from gods anymore, how?
>>
>>49888363
1d6 no armor. Also Gideon doesn't sign
>>
>>49888389
Bladesinging isn't literally singing
>>
Planeswalker is either a prestige class or a template
>>
>>49888363
Sword coast is best coast
>>
>>49888363
You mean the subclass that has no incentive in going to melee because it works better as a wizard with better AC and concentration rolls?
>>
>>49888273
I have no clue what you could do with a tiny PC class as they are seem quite limited. A Sprite in the Monster Manual has only 3 Str. Maybe -10 Str? To minimum 1? Though the Sprite has a longsword its 1 damage. So damage for weapons have to be similar. A Sprite shortbow also does 1 damage. Meaning you can't add your Dex modifier to attacks.

So sticking with the monster manual the downsides you need are like -10 to Str score, to a minimum of 1. And you cannot add your Str or Dex to weapon damage rolls. Other than that it's a start I guess.
>>
>>49886522

Your AT isn't using spells offensively, but Int is an important stat for them because that's what determines whether or not your enchantments land and whether people see through your illusions or not.

EKs can dump it if they take no evocation or other saving throw spells, but I don't think you should as AT.
>>
>>49887661
Lathander

NG, not LG, sure, but he's also the god of renewal, rebirth, second chances, etc.
>>
>>49888389
> He think bladesinger actually sing
No it's the sound of their weapon cutting the air. It's even in the damn book. 1d6 and no armor doesn't matter because they have the highest AC in the game.
>>
>>49888331
I'm limiting flight, for sure. Probably 20 speed, 30 flying, with the stipulations that 1. Can't fly when encumbered and 2. Must end a turn within 5 feet above a surface or fall, similar to eagle totem.
Invisibility is a thing for them, so probably the ability to innately cast Invisibility targeting only themselves once every long rest, or short if for some reason the rest of the race comes up weak.
The problem I really want to iron out is what benefits and maluses tiny size should give.
You can move through the spaces of creatures at least one size larger? (You can already move through 2 sizes larger, i.e. medium with no issue, but I find it silly that a gnome/halfling could block a pixie in a doorway where a goliath couldn't.)
Halved carrying capacity is RAW.
Should they have disadvantage on strength throws/saves?
Should they have penalized martial ability any more than small creatures?
If so, should some sort of penalty be worked out to also weaken casters?
>>49888427
You don't straight rip things out of the MM when you make a PC race, even those normally weaker than a human commoner, as I'm sure will be demonstrated with Volo's races. I'm not just going to release a race that can't play martials.
>>
>>49888403
This to be honest. Most of planeswalkers didn't even cast shit before planeswalking. Also in mtg lore literally everybody is a caster on top of whatever he's. Seen card that says berserker? He's a caster too, assassin? Also caster, knight? Yeah, another caster, etc
>>
>>49888426
Having lvl 6 spells at lvl 12 doesnt mean i cant teleport in your back and do 30+3d8 dmg with haste while whispering "notting personeeel kid".

or 40+3d6+1d4 with quarterstaff + polearm master 50+4d6+1d4 if someones is foolish enought to charge me.

Still the better options is to cast spells, but blasesinger are pretty melee capable.

A fighter or a paladin is gonna be much better at melee, but bladesinger is the best gish we have, especially if you get lvl 12.
>>
>>49888554
I dunno, with those numbers I dont think many can compete, specially martials that aren't GWM fighter. Mind explaining them?
>>
>>49888518
I'm sorry man but 2 feet tall sprites aren't gonna hold up in combat effectiveness to a human with a bastard sword, if you make them both fighters.

You know that damage problem isn't as bad if you keep in mind rogue and Ranger can just roll more dice for damage, or have something else do the damage. A rogue Sprite with a shortsword still can Sneak Attack Assasinat and even if it doesn't add +3 damage thanks to Dex, it's not gonna tickle.
>>
>>49888554

Unfortunately I wouldn't bother with Quarterstaff because it means you can't focus on Dex, and your AC will be worse.

>>49888583

(5+5)=10 static damage on every hit. With a rapier and haste you get 3d8+30 damage. Quarterstaff and pole arm master gets you an extra attack, for 40 total damage with 3d6 and a d4 for the bonus action attack.

Martials can totally compete btw.

People who say bladesingers can't melee at all are fooling themselves. Bladesingers are pretty decent in melee. Good enough at least to make it a viable option, at least.
>>
File: pirate_zpsde973ed0.jpg (40KB, 362x480px) Image search: [Google]
pirate_zpsde973ed0.jpg
40KB, 362x480px
Do pirate campaigns work well in 5e? I wanted to run a game where the players start doing jobs in a small port town and work their way up to buying their own boat and crew. Then they can explore the ocean at their discretion.
>>
>>49888622
Monk cant compete against those numbers neither rogue unless GFB or BB rogue
>>
File: Pillar Hut.jpg (293KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Pillar Hut.jpg
293KB, 1280x1024px
Alright /5eg/, I'm gonna write up a module. If you guys wanna throw some challenges/inspiration/themes at me, I'll work them in.

I'll take the first two replies to this post that have ideas in them and mash 'em together to make an adventure locale or dungeon.
>>
>>49888600
If by "bastard sword" you mean "longsword", why does a halfling or goliath have the same effectiveness, then?
If we use the same limits as small races, they can't use great weapons effectively. We could even go a step further and say they can't use a melee weapon in one hand unless it's light, and must 2 hand versatile weapons. But not allowing them to add ability score to damage is awful, doubly so if you do something totally out of whack with the rest of the system like "-10 str".
>>
>>49888583
Its at 14 not at 12 sorry i didnt wrote it right.

so at lvl 14 a bladesinger gets int to dmg.

So with tree ASI you can get 20 in both int and ex if you select high elf and start with avergare/goods rolls

So you end doing 10+1d8 dmg per attack with a rapier. 2 attacks + 1 from haste is 30+3d8

Or you can get ogre gauntlets (cos you still and wizard an can craft items) use two ASI for int and take a quarterstaff and the polearm master feat -> 1 extra attack with the handle as a bonus action doing 1d4 weapon dmg, plus oponent cause oportunitty attacks while entering your reach.

So if every attack is of 9+1d6 dmg.
When someone enters in your reach and in out turn you full attack with everything:
45+4d6+1d4.
>>
File: Priest Darren Stonespeaker.jpg (638KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Priest Darren Stonespeaker.jpg
638KB, 1280x800px
>>49887405
Ive been doing this with my cleric of Ilmater and so far I have not had much luck saving people. All of the goblins we have fought refuse to convert and instead just attack the party, and the party justly kills them. I almost saved some guards from being killed by a bandit raid through negotiation, but then orcs raided the city and all the guards died defending the city. Hopefully todays session I'll actually convert someone away from their wicked ways so they can turn over a new leaf.
>>
Looking for a player for a roll20 campaign playing a highly modified LMoP. We recently lost two players and one has been replaced, leaving one slot open.
The party is closing in on Wave Echo Cave and are currently level 5.
Once the written campaign is over this might very well turn into a Sword Coast-y sandbox, since my players have been running all over the coast instead of pursuing the "proper" objectives.

Sessions are on Sundays, starting 1630 UTC.
>>
How it makes you feel that you can totally knock prone and grapple with dex in PF but you can't in 5e?
>>
>>49888785
Not great, but at least you can't knock people into a set of silverware forever with a simple polymorph spell.
>>
File: Lathander_p39-1-.jpg (93KB, 400x638px) Image search: [Google]
Lathander_p39-1-.jpg
93KB, 400x638px
>>49888496
Seems like this is what I was going for, thanks!
>>
> no one want to run a long campaign
> my character will never attain his level 10+ adventurer day
>>
>>49888671
I'd also mention that tiny sizes are out of whack, cause everything likes to be medium or small. So we are already jumping into unknown territory.

If you are going for no realism then, Yeah your limitations seem fine. Only wield light weapons twohand d8 weapons. Add 2 Dex 1 Wis 25 walking and something to do with magic.
>>
>>49888700
Did the guards go "Fuck sake, this is the seventeenth Orc raid this month. We'd better get a pay raise.'?
>>
>>49888652

Monk can't compete with any other martial anyways. That's not a blade singer problem, that's a monk problem.

(I would argue that 4d10+20 is close, if not competitive anwyays).

Rogues also get a shit load of skills and other great features. They don't need to compete with martials.
>>
>>49888860
No they did not but that would of been quite hilarious though. They just got ready for battle and then fought to their honorable death. I tried to convince one to retreat when the others fell but he decided to die in martyrdom with his fellow guards. I may not of saved them but I'm sure their sacrifice has earned them a spot by Ilmater's side.
>>
>>49887708
So Dr.Doom?
>>
>>49888956
It just seems a bit too unreasonable. 'You're talking to some guards, some bandits are about to attack! Oh, and then orcs come and ruin fucking everything.'

I don't know, just sounds like a scene that doesn't have proper suspension of disbelief, and I'm just some plot-loving faggot.

I guess if this wasn't completely random and there was actually explanations for everything it's all fine.
>>
>>49888990
Basically, yes. With more spikes on armor.
>>
>>49888349
Abjuration Wizard+Maxed Con and Dex+Tough feat but you will want a fighter level anyway for better Hp at a low level and the dueling fighting style.
>>
Druid is my comfort zone! This class is so comfy!

Which class is your comfy class, anon?
>>
>>49888642
I'm trying to do the same except it's also Spelljammer coloured with a Hindu and Buddhist coat of paint.
>>
>>49889120
Warlock.
>>
>>49888652
Monks can't compete with any class because they lack exactly one attack per round and don't get enough ASIs which is sad for a class that is about organized self improovement.
Giving them 2 extra ASIs or "Extra attack 2" or making FOB 3 unarmed strikes instead of two would fix the class.
>>
>>49889120
Land Druid is excellent. Being able to use your shapes for flavorful roleplaying and interesting tactics is just great. More than once has pretending to be the Wizard's cat familiar turned out to be incredibly useful.
If I played a Moon Druid I think I'd be more stuck to using the shapes for strictly combat purposes.
>>
>>49889120
Eldritch Knight.

Snug in my heavy armor, a trusty sword at my side and a shield spell at the tip of my fingers. I cast light on the tip of my blade and trudge down the stone staircase into the flooded caverns beneath the keep.
>>
>>49889208

An extra ASI would do wonders, but I think they just need a step up in damage dice or some way to do a little more static damage. They can't compete with the big damage dealers (GWM/GWF Fighters) because they can't compete with +15 damage a swing.
>>
>>49889016
Fair enough. I was trying to be vague because its the first adventure in SKT but I'll give ya a more detailed account of what happened so you can better understand.

>Party is asked to go help a city. They have been attacked buy goblins recently and need the extra aid because they were previously at war with the elves in a nearby forest and that weakened their army.
>Party agrees to help, but arrive to find the city nearly abandoned and completely destroyed by huge boulders. Only a dozen goblins and a random human female are in the city.
>We make our way to the city keep after searching the rest of the city to find the noblewoman of the city and a few guards are dead. Only 4 guards lived. They tell us that the citizens must of fled the city to a nearby cave. The reason they did not go to the keep was because the bridge was destroyed. The guards also tell us giants destroyed the city via the boulders and stole a large boulder that was in the middle of the city.
>Zhent agents, or bandits as I prefer to say, roll into the city and start taking ownership of this. The woman tells the party to kill the guards. They knock the guards out but I save them and take them to their barracks to prepare for combat.
>Orcs roll in over the horizon and attack the city. This is when I realized almost every type of common enemy has tried taking over this city now over the course of a few days.
>Defend the city, guards die, bandits lock themselves in the keep.
>Party Decides to save the people in the cave first and then take care of the Zhents.
>Now in a goblin and ogre infested cave looking for the citizens, my hopes for a happy ending to this situation is low.

Its only been 3 sessions and already things are quite complex.
>>
>>49889120
Fighters, clerics, and necromancers are what I enjoy playing most.
>>
>>49889120
Theurge is my comfort zone

Bajillion spells and no pressure because everyone knows you're weak as shit
>>
>>49889286
Alright, I figured it might've been vague. I think everything checks out.

It's kind of miserable how in many settings cities are so vulnerable, though. While certainly a band of giants is some mythical 'BBEG's elite fuck-your-shit-up squad' stuff it's still kind of grimdark what with the fact they can roll up at any point and fuck shit up.
If only every city had a magical sniper tower.

>>49888458
People don't always try to see through illusions. Disguise self cannot be seen through even if they realize it's a disguise and 'silent image' requires a full action to see through, if they succeed.

You're right that int isn't really a dump stat for them, but it's not really something they should bother using their ASIs on, I think. Maybe make it their third highest stat after dex and con and be done with it.

>>49889120
Hard to say. Perhaps swashbuckler rogue just for the sake of cunning action and diving in and out of combat a lot.
>>
>>49888691
If you start with 16 Dex and Int its 4 ASIs to get to 20 Dex and Int. You need to get the rapier proficiency yourself or its gonna be d6s.

You are gonna pointbuy so 2 15s for Human Variant. That means if you want 14 Con for your health and con saves that's a 10 and 2 8s. That means 8 str and 8 Cha if you want 10 Wis. Already starting off with a frail cowardly individual for roleplay.

im not even going to bring up you spending over three months making these ogre gauntlets every day.

Right now adding this all together at level 14 you I assuming hit 3 times. 3d6+d4+39(5+5, 5+5, 5+5, -1+5)plus they walked into you, so d4+-1+5, that's 43 damage), not bad. 3d6+43+2d4, is alright for a minute and using your reaction every turn, and running away from them cause you have to have them walk into range to trigger pole arm mastery. And all that walking out of range means more attacks on you. (Btw a CR13 Storm giant does 2/3 your health if it hits twice.)

While on the other hand, 8d6+60 (3 GWM attacks) is pretty good too. If they all hit of course, which is easy with advantage and precision attacks, Not including the extra 2 feats for maybe Sentinel for team or even Skilled. And not using your reaction, and not getting attacks of opportunity.

Bladesinger martial is silly, this good con, scrawny socially awkward yet savant with 86 health trying to hang out with the jocks. 3/10 would not play. May have autism too with those stats.
>>
>>49889423

>and con

I would take Int over con any day because it means you can throw off a Hold Person from stealth and absolutely wreck somebody. You should try to get it to be at least 16-18 imo. If you have 16-18 Int, 20 Dex, and 16 con, I'd just use my other ASIs for feats.
>>
have a question about the mega,

what is the difference between the Tyranny of the Dragon adventure in the season 1 folder of Adventure League and the normal Adventures folder
>>
>>49889448

>need to get the rapier proficiency

doesn't blade singer come with proficiency with one weapon built in?

More over you don't melee all the time. You melee when it's convenient or when you'd use a cantrip normally.
>>
>>49889480
Adventures are the campaign books that have been put out and their related media.

Adventurers League contains adventures designed for organized play, less coherent between them, big mix of content in terms of quality, etc.
>>
>>49889448
> he doesn't know bladesinger get martial weapon proficiency
> he think bladesinger will walk instead of teleporting and whisper "shhh nothing personal kid"
>>
>>49889478
It's probably going to be a +1/-1 difference between con and int if at all.
Con helps concentration (hold person does use concentration) and obviously other con saves / health.
Health is pretty relevant to the rogue since they're likely to be in melee combat fairly often.

Int doesn't give you any relevant save power, but does give a small boost to some skills which likely everybody else in the party will suck at and will give a boost to the save DC.

In practical terms it's really a fight between slightly more health and slightly more chance of save-based spells working, and I'd probably rather more health if I want to survive. Int sounds like more fun, though.

Still probably wouldn't spend ASIs on int, spending it on feats and such instead.
>>
>>49889448
Also Storm Giant has like +14 to hit?
Bladesinger will has like 25 AC (30 with shield spell), and probably mirror image.
>>
>>49889535
Thanks!

So the adventures are the official campaigns and the AL are adventures based off the official ones?
>>
>>49889120
Barbarian
>Take a weapon
>Rage
>Hit whatever you don't like with said weapon

It just feels right.
>>
>>49889621
Do you even read the archetype?
INT gives blade singer a bonus to concentration check and AC.
>>
>>49889659
We're talking about arcane trickster.
>>
>>49889120
Battlemaster Fighter

Superiority dice are just too fun.
>>
>>49887529
That's such a kind thing you're doing, running a game for the mentally disenfranchised.
>>
>>49889659
The conversation was about Eldritch Knights and Arcane Tricksters dude.
>>
Divine Favor or Magic Weapon for buffs? Pally has Polearm Master for the bonus attack.
>>
>>49889120
Fighters and Paladins are comfy af.
>>
>>49889565
Holy shit autismo-kun, you need to stop.
>>
>>49888660
unicorns.
>>
>>49889621

In that sense it just comes down to personal preference I suppose. I'd rather not take damage by moving in and out of the fight and focus on having stronger cantrips and harder to resist spells/harder to see through illusions.

Bonus to Int skills is nice too. Thankfully the Rogue has the extra ASI so with point buy you can have decent Con/Int and 20 Dex and still grab 2 feats with the right race (my personal choice would be mobile and magic initiate).
>>
>>49890057
Just need one more and I'll get goin' on this one.
>>
>>49890095
Booming Blade doesn't rely on int, but Green Flame Blade does get a slight benefit.

Dipping in and out of the fight is a little tricky with only the one bonus action, but with mobile it's certainly possible with the extra speed and sort-of-disengage.

The problem with int skills is often it's just 'remembering stuff' that tends to be stuff you'll find out sooner or later anyway or information tat isn't incredibly useful or is somewhat obsolete. There's obviously investigate for illusions, but for having 5 skills the 5 skills aren't super useful. Still, I guess a good DM should have a lot of lore that's actually very important to the party to learn.
>>
>>49889626
>Bladesinger will has like 25 AC
My basic math skills give me:
13 (mage armor) + 5 (Dex) + 5 (Int) = 23
>>
I've barely been playing for two weeks, how do you nigs manage with the time between sessions? These waits are fucking killing me.

Is it bad that I feel like a crack addict expectant of their next fix?

>>49889895
Divine Favor seems pretty shit when compared to a level 1 Smite (2.5 versus 9 bonus damage, on average), and it's going to take a whole bunch of turns (and Concentration) for it to pay off, to be honest. This can be partly circumvented by doing your best to get as many Polearm Master attacks in as you can, I guess.
Magic Weapon is solid, though, at least until everyone who needs one has a magic weapon.
>>
File: 436yr234.png (87KB, 219x230px) Image search: [Google]
436yr234.png
87KB, 219x230px
>>49888660
The moon.
>>
>>49889271
Getting Extra attack 2 at lvl 10-14 fixes just that.
That's 4d10+20 guaranteed and 5d10+25 if they spend ki.
It's still at least 30 minimum damage per round.
>>
Had a thought about bladelocks; what if their pact blade was an intelligent item? Give it a couple knowledge skills, the ability to speak a language associated with the patron, and an ego score (but it's alignment is always the same as it's master). Fluff it as a fey/fiend/whatever bound into the form of an item - the spirit can inhabit any weapon you're bound to but can't shunt out other egos, which is why it can be transferred to a magic weapon but not another intelligent one.

Doesn't help their combat much but makes them a bit more versatile.
>>
File: 1473000498817.jpg (87KB, 365x371px) Image search: [Google]
1473000498817.jpg
87KB, 365x371px
>I'm glad it's you
>Beats your own father to death while screaming
>>
>>49890195
That's normal
Give it a while and you'll get used to it

If you played it non-stop for a week you'd just get bored faster, after all.

You'll know when you've passed the 'overexcited newbie' stage once all you do is fuck about /tg/ arguing about whether or not familiars are overpowered.
>>
File: latest[1].png (709KB, 1600x962px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
709KB, 1600x962px
>>49888660
>>49890057
>>49890289
Here's your villain.
>>
>>49890398
>Couple knowledge skills

So like all of the knowledge skills?

My favorite fix is letting the pact weapon also be pact tools. It's not broken in the least considering wizards can summon a crowbar at level 2.

So blade pact would let you be proficient in a lot more relevant things. Adding your thing, but making it just two skill proficiencies the weapon adds for you would be fine. Sort of like giving the warlock a skillmonkey option.
>>
>>49887219
Dwarves can become vampires in FR
>>
>>49890584
Yeah, that's fair. You're proficient in X and Y while holding your pact blade.
>>
>>49890576
>>/mlp/
I'd play it, Nightmare Moon wasn't a half-bad villain.
>>
>>49886424
Introducing yet another homebrew monk subclass.

9 Curses tradition

Fluff: Many forms of magics were incorporated into martial traditions over the years and curses are one of them.
Followers of the 9 Curses tradition are an unusual group that tends to attract individuals who seek greater power and riches but also those who wish to lift the plights of this world that were brought into it by magical means often becoming witch hunters.

3d level feature:
You learn the hex spell and can cast it by spending 2ki.
Wis is your spell casting modifier.
You don't need any material components to cast it and once per turn/or when the affected target dies you may transfer the Hex to another target within 30ft as a free action.

At lvl 6: You can cast detect magic at will and when you sucessfully stun a target you can expend one ki point to Hex it.

At lvl 11: You don't need to maintain concentration on your Hex spell and its duration becomes indefinite.

You also learn two abilities of your choice from the following warlock invocations: Otherworldly leap, Devils sight, Eyes of the rune keeper, Chains of Carceri, Fiendish vigor, Master of Myriad forms, Witch sight, Visions of distant realms.

At lvl 17: You can expend 3 ki to cast Bestow curse at its lowest level on up to 9 targets within 60 feet of your self. You may raise its level by expending 2 ki points per spell level.
>>
>>49890398
I don't think that's a bad idea, really.

>>49890584
>considering wizards can summon a crowbar at level 2
Only if they take a wizard path that gives them such a thing instead of cool features like portent. If two portent dice were one of the pact options, I'd expect almost everybody to go for it.

That said, pact tools aren't really overpowered. You can already conjure up any weapon if you don't have a magic weapon bound, so why not change it to 'You can conjure up any one mundane tool/weapon while you don't have a magic item bound'? Obviously restrict it a bit so it's not 'conjure up grenades' or 'conjure up a hammer the size of a mountain'. Probably just a weaker version of conjurer wizard's ability but a bit different.
>>
File: 1432525198448.jpg (759KB, 1400x1980px) Image search: [Google]
1432525198448.jpg
759KB, 1400x1980px
>>49890057
>>49890289
Unicorns and the Moon it is.

>>49890576
I know it's MLP but that's the extent of my knowledge. Still, going from the image alone, armored moon-knight unicorn with innate spellcasting sounds not-too-bad (pardon my Minnesotan) so maybe I can work it in.
>>
>>49890964
Nightmare Moon was formerly Luna the sister of Celestia, effectively the sun goddess. Jealous and resentful that the people frolicked under the sun but were fearful of the night, she went batshit insane, forcing her sister to imprison her on the moon for 1000 years. She broke out and kidnapped Celestia, forcing the kingdom into a state of eternal night.

Really it's too bad the show turned out the way it did. The original concept of 'Sailor Moon but with horses' could've been good.
>>
>>49890934
Indefinite no-concentration hex sounds a bit dangerous when a level 12 monk can cast hex six times a short rest to basically, once every short rest, give somebody permanent disadvantage on every skill roll ever. Permanent, unless removed somehow.
Though, I'm not sure if you can cast six hexes on the same person. Technically, the most potent effect of the same spell will apply, which is disadvantage on whatever relevant skill is currently being rolled.

Probably say 'if you take a short rest, you must either spend 2 ki at the end of the rest to extend the duration of a currently active hex or the hex goes away.'
Instead of giving warlock invocations at level 11, I'd do something like that at level 17, or make monk-specific ones or something. I'd give them bestow curse at that level, perhaps.
Bestow curse on nine targets at once seems excessive, considering one of the effects is 'the creature uses its action to do nothing'. I'd probably make it a bit different, so it still requires a touch range and maybe only effects one creature but it's somehow more powerful, or you cannot choose the 'targets must waste their action on failed save' curse or something without replacing hex (or hex is made cheaper or something).
>>
>>49890963
>>49890963
Minor conjuration is probably the coolest class feature IMO for wizards. If the rest of the school wasn't so lame I'd pick it over any other path.

I don't like that binding a magic item to your pact weapon makes the other features useless.

That's one or two more things I would change: Allow ranged weapons, and magic weapons can be added to your options with a ritual.
>>
File: Tela Overmap.png (753KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Tela Overmap.png
753KB, 800x600px
Rate my overmap /5eg/. Took me way too fucking long.
>>
>>49891159
Rotate it 90 degrees and you've got a pretty believable continent
>>
>>49890934
>>49891103
Thinking about, it, I'd give:
Level 3- Hex (Unupgraded)
Level 6 - Bestow curse, at-will detect magic.
Level 11 - Improvements to hex and bestow curse, such as 'hex can be transferred for free rather than as a bonus action' and 'you may now pick two effects for bestow curse and it doesn't require concentration'.
Level 17 - Geas, also you know the exact location of anybody under the effects of a spell you have cast directly on them, and you may spend your reaction at any time you fucking feel like to punch them (such as if they're having an opinion and their opinion is shit).

>>49891127
It's a fun and creative feature, sure. Sometimes depends on what your DM will let you get away with.
I conjure up an antimatter apple.

Allow two magic weapons at once, allow ranged weapons, or..
Well, the idea of a melee warlock doesn't really work without multiclassing anyway. Eldritch Blast is just too good, and trying to buff pact of the blade often has bad consequences.
>>
>>49888660
>>49890057
>>49890289
Looking good. Looking forward to what comes out of it.
>>
>>49891103

You can't stack Hex on somebody to give them disadvantage on multiple rolls, I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>49891255
>>49890934
Fuck third post
Level 3 should be regular hex and an extra feature.

Obviously the problem is that hex won't do a lot unless you can keep the target you transfer it to from dying, so there could be an extra feature there like 'any target affected by hex takes 1d6 damage for hitting anybody but you' or something.

Mostly just throwing ideas, but I think hex as a bonus and then free hex thereafter is a bit too 'you do a load of extra damage!' and not enough interesting.

>>49891297
You can cast the same spell multiple times on the same target.
It's just that the effects cannot stack.

Here's the question, is 'you have disadvantage to a certain type of ability roll' the effect, or is 'you have disadvantage on charisma ability rolls (if you chose charisma)' the effect?
>>
>>49891159
The kerning and word arches kill me. Other than that, looks pretty good.
>>
>>49891103
The bit about the lvl 11 feature I'll integrate.

I actually had no idea what to do with the level 17 feature but the warlock invocations are a good start.

You learn 3 invocations.

You may learn any invocations that isn't eldritch blast related, armour of shadows or book of ancient secrets.

Invocations that require you to spend a warlock spell slot instead consume 3 ki.
Those that require a long rest to use again instead double their ki cost until a short rest is taken.

The Lifedrinker invocation instead adds Wis mod necrotic damage on your unarmed strike.

Thirsting blade nets you extra attack 2.

Any invocations that grants features to the chain pact also grants you the find familiar ritual.
>>
>>49891332

im sure by intent the effect is the former but i guess you'd have to tweet crawford
>>
Has anyone here played a mounted combatant-focused paladin before with find steed?

How did it go? Got some tips?
>>
>>49891362
Well, by definition, all the text under the 'hex' spell is the effect.

So, technically, you can't stack it.

However, I'm not actually sure that's intentional because that's some heavy rules lawyering there, so I'd have to be asking them about RAI.

You'll very rarely ever cast hex multiple times on the same person because it's normally always cast with concentration, so you'd need multiple hexers and you'd have to want to lock down two ability scores at once.

>>49891411
Play a gnome paladin. Mount a human. Probably the wizard, because you'll make the wizard immune to attacks and resistant to area effects.
It's stupid as fuck and I don't get why DMs allow it, but it's RAW and several people here have mentioned people in the party doing it.

I would like to play a proper paladin some day, though.
>>
Anyone have any good ideas for how to refluff the Oath of Ancients to have a more nautical flavor? I wanna make a Swashbuckler/Paladin who follows Valkur, but the plant-based stuff doesn't quite fit.
>>
>>49891467
Seaweed.
>>
>>49886718
This, I like. I've been trying to balance the mental stats in order to allow casters their choice of casting stat. I like the idea of not all paladins charismatic and not all wizards bookish.
>>
>>49891461
RAW says the mount has to be suitable as a mount, and humanoids both in shape and carrying capacity (especially for wizards) don't qualify.
But then, it doesn't outright say what constitutes as an appropriate creature to mount, so maybe they could, but not under any RAI.
>>
>mainly underwater campaign
>GM doesn't allow variant tiefling with wings neither aarakocra because "flight is broken"
Wut?
>>
>>49891332
Monks are a melee class (still need concentration) and the spell cost at 2 ki prevents them from using it all the time at lower levels.
Free transfer at target death is enough to keep it usable without breaking it.

At lvl 6 detect magic as freebie, Bestow curse for 3 ki and Remove curse for 4 ki.

At lvl 11 No need to maintain concentration on on Hex and Bestow curse (it becomes pointless anyway after gaining Con save proficiency and monks being able to reroll saves).

At lvl 17 gain 3 invocations.
Blade pact invocations are reworded to aid unarmed strikes and using Wis mod.
Invocations that expend warlock spell slots instead spend 3 ki and if they require " recharge " on long rest instead they double their ki cost untill a short rest is taken.
Any chain pact invocation grants the find familiar ritual.
>>
>>49891504
Well that's simple, we just need a centaur wizard.
>>
>>49891531
Play a mermaid and ask him if it's more broken than flying.
Then reveal it's a flying fish mermaid.
>>
File: 1436388254611.png (700KB, 957x888px) Image search: [Google]
1436388254611.png
700KB, 957x888px
>>49891623
>flying fish mermaid
Bro that's weak.
>>
>>49891604
But at that point, you wouldn't need to be a gnome or halfling anymore would you? Although yes, it would be both RAW and RAI.
>>
File: JOLLY_BOMBADILLO.jpg (58KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
JOLLY_BOMBADILLO.jpg
58KB, 480x270px
>>49891461
>Play a gnome paladin. Mount a human. Probably the wizard, because you'll make the wizard immune to attacks and resistant to area effects.
That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard
>>
>>49891643
What about something something druid wildshape?
>>
>>49891720
Any druid wildshape worth becoming is able to carry a medium rider or better, so gnome/halfling still isn't required anymore.
>>
>>49891002
>The original concept of 'Sailor Moon but with horses' could've been good.

That's overplayed by the fandom, but not true. Faust said she wanted somewhat more adventure episodes, but she still wanted to be a a rough balance of about 50% adventure and 50% slice of life, instead of 20% adventure and 80% slice of life.

There was never supposed to be an ongoing plot or anything.
>>
Are there any rules for playing an awakened animal?

Would you allow it at your table?
>>
>>49891819
>Would you allow it at your table?

Are you a furry? If not, sure.
>>
>>49886424
>wisdom lets you perceive traps and hidden enemies, see through lies, be a doctor, and deal with things that have bestial intelligence
>charisma lets you lie your way through sticky situations, intimidate NPCs into doing what you want, and all around be a good talker
>intelligence lets you know random trivia facts the GM probably pulled out of his ass that aren't important to completing immediate objectives and you would have found out anyway because if the GM doesn't give the party information to work off of they will just sit around and not get anything done
>intelligence is only important to one class
Intelligence needs more ways to use it actively in a situation than snapple facts and more classes that have it as their primary stat. Investigation is an intelligence skill that can be used to directly influence a situation but the effect is so similar to Perception that they tend to get used interchangeably.
>>
>>49891819
I'd allow it ONLY if I knew the player wasn't a furry.
>>
>>49891819
I'd only allow it if I knew the player was a furry. Joke characters get out.
>>
>>49891819
As long as nobody makes it weird. Our Druid speaks to animals all the time so we have talking animals on the regular.
>>
>>49891839
I have switched to using Investigation for everything most DMs use Perception for.
Perception is now only for subconscious awareness and to perceive (lel) things in the distance.

As a general rule, if the character needs to lift or interact with something to find their target Investigation will always be used.
>>
Hey /5eg/, are these magic items sufficiently low-powered enough to give to 1st level characters, while still being interesting? They're for Out of the Abyss, obviously. All require attunement.

>Buppido's Knife
>Whenever it's used to kill a creature, the user gets +1 hit point (up to maximum)

>Derendil's Cloak
>Wearer receives a +1 bonus to AC against spells.

>Eldeth's Shield
>The wielder has a +1 bonus to AC against monstrosities.

>Jimjar's Charm
>Possessor receives 1 luck point (as per the feat). Does not stack with the Luck feat

>Ront's Belt
>Wearer's lifting capacity is STRx20 rather than STRx15; push/drag is STRx40 rather than STRx30

>Sarith's Insignia
>Spiders are Indifferent to the possessor unless attacked/ordered to attack

>Shuushar's Beads
>When you finish a Short rest, you can heal up to 1 additional HD

>Stool's Bones
>Possessor can use the bones to cast Animal Messenger 1/week (the bones animate as the messenger, then return)

>Topsy and Turvy's Stone
>The stone glows faintly (dim light 5 ft) when it's night.
>>
>>49891819
I'd allow it as a race.

+2 Wis
+1 Str/Dex (Depends on creature)
Must be a Medium size creature
Speed 30
Pick two or maybe three features from the following list based on creature you want to use:
Brave (Halfling)
Naturally Stealthy (Halfling)
Savage Attacks (Half-Orc)
Relentless Endurance (Half-Orc)
Dwarven Resilience (Rename it, Dwarf)
Dwarven Toughness (Rename it, Dwarf)
Darkvision
>>
>>49891908
Why not Small?
>>
>>49891906
Jimjar's Charm is a little much. The dagger make it 2 temporary hit points. Temporary hit points go away during a short rest.
>>
>>49891953
Will change the dagger.

What's weaker than 1 luck point, but more interesting than just giving a +1 to something?
>>
>>49891952
Whoops, I totally meant to say Small or Medium. I just wanted to exclude Large+ for the most part.
>>
>>49891978
Fair enough.
>>
>>49891906
>Buppido's Knife
I'd make that 1 Temporary Hit Point. Impossible to abuse, lets the character get a 'buffer' hit point. Otherwise the player could get a bunch of worns and kill them one by one after combat to heal back up to full HP, and this would still be good up until level 10-ish.

>Derendil's Cloak
1 AC against to-hit spells is alright, I'd probably tweak it to +1 on Saving Throws against spells. It'll come up less often so it won't be as big of an impact, but when it does the player will appreciate the cloak MORE because of how nasty save-or-sucks are.

>Jimjar's Charm
Too stronk. I'd do something like '1 charge, recharges at midnight, add 1d4 to any Attack Roll, Ability Check or Saving Throw.'

Other than that, I like it.
>>
I will be running a Halloween game for some friends who have zero experience in /tg/.

Any good horror oneshot adventures I could start them off with? Death House is all the rage but I'm going to have to tone it down a lot if they're not going to be TPK'd in the first hour of their first D&D experience.

Or should I just give them CoC Haunted Mansion as a more general introduction to /tg/?
>>
>>49892046
Pardon, I meant to say 'gives 1 Temporary Hit Point on a successful hit' so that the player can actually use it. Getting killing blows is kinda tough in combat, and since Temporary Hit Points don't stack this isn't really all that abuse-able and will still be slightly helpful. Also 'Worms' not 'worns.'
>>
>>49892046
Will change the cloak.

You sure that Guidance-on-a-stick isn't too good?
>>
>>49886424
I grant bonus languages, and (if you go really low on INT) reduce your languages and prevent you from knowing how to read the language(s) you speak. No one has gotten that low yet, however; INT 6 means, in my games, you speak one language badly, and cannot read it at all.
>>
Alright, I'm confused.

Lets say, at level 8, I increase my CON, which raises my modifier. Do I recalculate my HP over all levels, or just from where I started with the higher modifier? Or something else entirely?
>>
Speaking of Out of the Abyss, I just noticed an awesome, peculiar thing that the Maze Engine can do that is either really awesome or really stupid, and in either case is probably a very, very, *very* fast way to get my players to bludgeon and/or strangle me to death.

I really hope that, if/when my players reach it, I roll it.
>>
>>49892131
Giving them a once-per-day Cantrip isn't really gonna break anything in my opinion. Maybe word it like this if you're worried:

You clutch the Amulet as a Bonus Action. You may roll a d4 and add the number rolled to one Ability Check of your choice. You may roll the die before or after making the Ability Check. After the die has been rolled or a minute has passed, the amulet loses its power until midnight.
>>
>>49892194
Is retroactive
>>
>>49890192
Take Defensive Duelist to spend your reaction to add your prof bonus to AC?
>>
>>49892194
Recalculate. Read page 177 of the PHB.
>>
>>49892194
Basically you get +1 hp/level.

So if you were level 3 with a 14 CON, that's +6 hit points total. When you go to level 4 and increase your CON to 16, you get +6 hit points: +3 for having a 16 CON, and +1 for each of your previous levels, as though you had had a 16 CON from level 1.
>>
>>49892194
Increasing your con modifier by one gives you one hp per level you are.
>>
>>49892216
That only does it for THAT attack though
>>
>>49892210
>>49892219
>>49892229
>>49892233

Ah! Okay, I just nat 1'd my reading comprehension roll. That's how I thought it was, but couldn't be sure.
>>
>>49891679
As silly as any DM that allows it.

>>49891601
Level 6 seems like it might be fine.

Invocations sounds pretty dangerous, allowing things like 'lifedrinker'. I'm a bit skeptical about stepping that far into warlock's unique territory anyway. It's only level 17 though, so it probably doesn't matter.

Do note for level 11 that concentration is more than just 'you have to roll to hold concentration' - you can't cast two concentration spells at once. Level 11 would allow the monk to hold multiple curses on multiple people at once.

The only problem is that now all features besides the level 17 one are ki-based, and it'd be nice to have a feature that doesn't rely on casting something with ki at some point. Not necessary, though.

Free transfer means 'once every combat, you can spend 2 ki to do 1d6 extra damage for every attack until the end of combat', pretty much. Which, considering ki recharges on a short rest, is a bit silly.
It's a pretty boring level 3 when it's basically just 'you do up to 2d6/3d6/4d6 extra damage every turn', whereas none of the other monk features just give you straight-up damage boosts, I think.

I think it'd be nice to aim it more towards magical defence (Such as remove curse you've added in) and utility in fucking with people with curses, but hex alone...

You know, I kind of think it'd be good to have something that's like 'bestow curse' but a lower level to give the monk. Something with very flexible options and not just flat damage.
>>
>>49891906
Jimjar's charm is probably by far the strongest there.
Not insanely, strong, but better than everything else which is very niche.

I like low levels having intersting low level items, but even I think some of the bonuses should be increased a bit.

Say, +2 AC against monstrosities, +2 AC against spells (since most spells don't target AC anyway), 'up to 10ft dim light at night'... That sort of thing.

Overall they'd still be pretty niche, but a bit more noteworthy.
>>
File: Garnet Pendant.jpg (129KB, 950x950px) Image search: [Google]
Garnet Pendant.jpg
129KB, 950x950px
>>49892131
>>49891906
When designing magical items to give to players, there are a few things you might want to keep in mind for balance purposes. Also don't forget that -most- magical items that confer combat bonuses should require Attunement. You really want to avoid the players acquiring magical items without attunement because then they are allowed to just stack them, and that's a bad thing for the long-term health of your game.

Firstly, is it Active of Passive?

An Active magical item is something like the Guidance-on-a-stick charm. For Active items, you want to look at the character's potential actions and weigh the strength of the 'activation' cost. Guidance, the cantrip, normally takes: 1 Action, Concentration. The magical item version takes: 1 Attunement Slot, 1 Bonus Action, 1 charge. Unlike the Cantrip, this has a permanent, on-going cost; the attunement slot. It also has a daily cap usage of 1 time, unlike Guidance which can be used an unlimited number of times per day. Therefor, I'd say that it's balanced to reduce the Action and Concentration cost. You don't want the item to totally outclass another feature (Spell, class, etc.) so you want to impose another cost in using the item. Charges and Attunement slots are the best way to go about this, in my opinion. Forcing the players to consider resources makes magic items more interesting.

If it's a Passive magical item, you want to consider the impact it's going to have on the game. Specific Saving Throws, Skill Checks, and less common resources like Hit Dice are good ones to target, as they are clearly 'good' magical items in that they provide flat bonuses, but their long-term value may go down as the players find better magical items that provide more common bonuses. Coupled with an attunement cost, these magic items are fun for the players to obtain, but likely aren't going to break anything in the long-term balance of your game, which makes them healthy magical items.
>>
R8 my homebrew setting m8s

>orca are replaced by the half orc race but just call em orcs they are based off native americans
>theres a large mountain with a giant crystal at the peak and a group of elves protect and worship it because they believe all magic comes from it
>dragons are feral and animalistic and only wake every 100 or so years to breed
>halflings are islanders
>theres an ancient magical bridge a half mile wide and 3 miles long that has a town built on it
>in the ocean some people ride giant sea turtles with buildings and stuff on them some are mobile trading posts

This is basically all we have encountered so far making it up as we go along
>>
>>49892323
They are, if you can't tell, supposed to be analogous to the unique items that a lot of characters in Baldur's Gate can have, albeit usable by any character.

The way I plan on running Chapter 1 of OotA is to have each NPCs check the PCs for doing these three things:
- Succeed on a social (Intimidate, Persuasion, whatever) check against them (DC 13, so about a 65% chance assuming a +5 bonus to the check (+3 CHA, +2 Proficiency))
- Help them in some notable way (protect them from another prisoner, steal some food for them, etc.)
- Retrieve their lost item for them (each one is located somewhere in Velkynvelve, or on one of the quaggoths/drow).

For each NPC that the players have done at least TWO of these for, that NPC will accompany the PCs into the Underdark when they make their escape attempt. Otherwise the NPCs will make their own way through the Underdark, no doubt to turn up later having been killed/enslaved in a suitably gruesome fashion.
>>
>>49892454
>>in the ocean some people ride giant sea turtles with buildings and stuff on them some are mobile trading posts

Only one I have issue with. It sounds great in theory, but if the giant turtle is going to hunt then it's going to need to dive. The villagers could feed the turtle, but the food requirements would be an immense strain.
>>
>>49892495
They eat surface plankton more like a baleen whale. I didnt like the idea that much either but my co DM takes high fantasy to a whole nother level
>>
>>49892541
>They eat surface plankton more like a baleen whale.

Fair enough. They must migrate to the arctic every year, then, right? Just like those whales?
>>
File: Darfellan.jpg (28KB, 277x400px) Image search: [Google]
Darfellan.jpg
28KB, 277x400px
>>49892454
>orca are replaced with half-orcs
So, half-orcs swimming around in the oceans hunting seals?
>>
File: 1475203014487.jpg (42KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1475203014487.jpg
42KB, 600x600px
>>49892596
Now you're just being difficult
>>
>>49892647
Dammit I thought i replaced that. Kek

>>49892596
Hmmm. What if they did eat fish and the people who used them drug fishnets under them? Would that be enough to feed em? Honestly though since its so high fantasy as long as it kinda makes sense we just roll with it
>>
>>49890584

RAW its already allowed. You can summon a weapon. That includes an improvised Weapon
>>
>>49892454
>based off native americans
Be more specific. The only thing they all had in common was a lack of good animals to domesticate. Also, if they've been in contact with guys based on medieval Europe for centuries or more, that's going to change everything.
>dragons are feral and animalistic and only wake every 100 or so years to breed
So you strip them of their ability to make for good villains, and then you render that a moot point by making sure they're constantly hibernating and never around anyway. Whyyyyyy
>halflings are islanders
Doesn't say much about them, but sure, makes sense. Things that live on small islands tend to be smaller in size. Are you basing them off of that "hobbit" species of near-humans they discovered in Indonesia?
>theres an ancient magical bridge a half mile wide and 3 miles long that has a town built on it
Seems like a bad place to build a town, even if it's not a single Dispel Magic away from doom. What's the advantage of living on the bridge as opposed to one end of it?
>in the ocean some people ride giant sea turtles with buildings and stuff on them some are mobile trading posts
Nice visual, but as some anons have said, those had better be some extremely well-behaved turtles. Maybe tortoises would be a safer choice. And even then you'd have to hope they stay nice and level and don't tilt up or down too much.
>>
So. My setting where a lot of my campaigns happend is getting introduced with firearms.
I am really good with math and balancing so i don't need any help here

but things are surely not going to be the same as they used too. To show this i want to add a couple of "paths" to existing classes and make a new one. All i need is ideas.

All i can think of right now is a new path for a warrior (Dex based pistol user. More based on damage and control output) and a path for a ranger (Firearm user with MASSIVE single target damage)

I also want to make a firearm class but i don't know how it would look like
Just making a "Well. It's a guy. And he uses firearms as weapon" is really lame.
So, what interesting ideas can you think of?
>>
>>49889448
>Bladesinger martial is silly

With maxed Int, standard wizard dex and mage armor, and shield, the BS armor class is 26/28. Maybe even 30 considering robes or rings of protection.

Bladesinger can outtank a god.
>>
>>49893208
I feel 5e doesn't mesh too well with firearms after they removed flat-foot/touch AC.

Though, I'm not too much of a fan of a 'the early firearms completely ignore armour' approach but I'd rather a 'firearms are a bit awkward to hit with at distances, have to reload and can misfire, but do nice damage'

For a class, an 'engineer' sort of class works best I'd think. They shouldn't be entirely restricted to firearms and 'cowboy hat pistelloshootoman' should be a possible fluff option, not a forced part of being the class.

There's already a well-known fighter archetype gunslinger and there's another homebrew for an engineer character. Those might be good inspirations if someone provides.
>>
>>49893208
For the class, I'd recommend making an Alchemist. Able to use firearms, make black powder and grenades, and have a few other buffing abilities via potions and such. 5th-level caster with ranged abilities, possibly based on the Arcane Trickster (remove sneak attack, add bombs).

>>49893273
Alternatively, engineer. I have a class, no idea if it's balanced at all.
>>
>>49893208
There's Mercer's Gunslinger, but maybe slow down and think about this. How recently has gunpowder been in use in this area? Europe went through centuries of primitive bombs and cannons before personal firearms became feasible.

Also, the 5e model of combat is not really suited well to modeling the advantages that guns have over other weapons (armor penetration and much less need for training.) As long as AC makes you harder to hit and high-level characters are much better than low-level ones, guns are not going to have the same dramatic effect on the D&D world that they had on the real one. To really do the end-of-an-era kind of drama you're looking for, you need guns to not only ignore AC but also ignore the buckets of hit points that D&D characters receive with training. You probably also need to tone down the abiltiy of high-level D&D characters to wipe out anything that crosses their path using whatever tools they're most comfortable with.
>>
>>49893178
>What's the advantage of living on the bridge as opposed to one end of it?

Casinos
>>
>>49892711
>Would that be enough to feed em?

>His turtle isn't a psionic being from the time of gods that derides its energy off the nightly dreams and ambitions of its inhabitants

Lame
>>
>>49893392
>His turtles aren't co-opted by symbiotic, sanguine plantlife that feeds the turtle via photosynthesis and organic biomaterial while consuming the turtle's blood.

Lame.
>>
>>49893208
Just go with the gunslinger homebrew as the other anon suggested, What are traditional fighters except regular humanoids who got really good at using weapons?

I'm in the same boat. I'm DMing an idiosyncratic steampunk-ish campaign where guns have been invented, but have not yet outpaced swords and bows as the default weapon.

Basically, I have 3 classes of firearms users: grenadiers, gunslingers and gunrogues.

Gunslingers I use the Matt Mercer fighter variant.

I treat my Grenadier PC largely as a wizard, but let him choose from a custom-spell list that makes sense (mostly abjuration with some evocation and necromantic spells). Basically, think of a half-orc wielding a huge hand-cannon that can load and shoot different "grenades" that have different effects. He also has to shell out a fortune to get the necessary grenade components every time he's in town.
>>
>>49893316
>ignore AC
AC also takes into account dodges, Anon.
>>
>>49893273
I was more thinking of making firearms a less reliable high damage thing
The player would have to make a dexterity accuracy roll that would allow him to shoot at the chosen target the next turn with massive roll bonus.
In case he doesn't do this there will be a huge penalty.

This way the weapon will become an anti-high AC thingie that does a shitton of damage but is really terribad against crowds.

Cowboy engeneer sounds like a really good choice. While i don't like the idea myself, one of my players would be really happy to see this one

>>49893299
Oh, Black powder alchemist is kinda solid. I guess i can make a class that has alchemist and an engeneer as a path options. Their "ideas" are somewhat similar

>>49893316
My group values interesting games more than strict realism, so i don't think this will be a huge problem
>>
My group just desecrated a shrine to Asmodeus. How do I fuck them realistically and believably without killing them.
>>
>>49893605
The problem with taking every other turn off to reload/aim etc is that it's kind of boring taking half your turns not being able to do anything.

Cowboy engineer wasn't the idea, more of an 'engineer, but you could play them as a cowboy or as a german mad scientist or whatever'.

I do like the idea of a sort of 'scientist' class that has archetypes of 'alchemist', 'engineer' and perhaps something else such as 'loremaster' or 'demolitionist'.
>>
>>49893891
'Devils appear and gut you' sounds really lame for lawful evils.

They could find that an important NPC has been replaced by a devillish double in disguise, set out to try fucking them over by setting them on a bad quest. Say, leading right into an ambush. Of course, to make it feel like they haven't just wasted several sessions going down a bad path, there might be something satisfying like the devils no longer looking so smug as half of them die and they run off or something.

Or, somebody is cursed with a curse such as one that'll make anybody who doesn't know the person convinced the cursebearer is a devil.

Or.. Just don't go 'devils appear, start fighting'.
>>
>>49893936
This might be cured with class abilities.
Aim wouldn't take your bonus action, so here comes bonus action abuse.

Just have to be accurate with efficiency output. Or class might become too overpowered
>>
>>49893024
I wonder. An improvised weapon includes any object that you can wield in one or two hands. Which is an incredible amount of choice.

The common interpretation is that you have to choose from the weapon table in chapter 5, but the rule only references chapter five, not the table.

So my past weapon could be a stick of dynamite, under your ruling.

I like it.
>>
>>49893982
Yeah, idk. My campaign is pretty plot based so sending them off on a random quest that turns out to be a trick seems pretty shitty,

I guess I could do a curse of some sort, but that seems like it would be either a huge hindrance and therefore un-fun for the players or inconsequential.
>>
Help, 5eg. I've been playing a Sorcerer for awhile, recently hit level 6 and I casted Twinned Haste on my party's Barbarian and Ranger.

It worked out great. So great that now they get mad anytime I do anything but Twinned Haste. The last 5 fights have been them demanding I only use my Sorcery points on that and getting pissed as shit when I throw a fireball.
>>
>>49894310
I would suggest bolstering the party's antagonists with devilish support. Make it obvious that their enemies are receiving support as punishment for their act.
>>
>>49894355
Oh, nice. Great idea. Thanks anon.
>>
>>49894330

multiclass into paladin and caste haste on yourself
>>
>>49894363
No problem. You could make it extra vexing by including some evil Clerics or Blackguards that have ties to the big A. Nasty frontliners with healing abilities are always pretty terrible to face down. You could also just infuse a few weaker enemies with evil powers. The look on your players faces when they get Hellish Rebuked out of nowhere would be pretty worthwhile
>>
>>49894330
Throw a fireball at them
>>
>>49887238
I'm curious why you didn't say "Wisdom for survival," which scavenging is.

>>49887177
Well, in real life, lobsters don't die of old age, can't feel pain and can regenerate their limbs. Maybe pick something from that.
>>
>>49890964
Ah, moonicorns
>>
Holy shit, Battle mats are stupid expensive
>>
As someone with an unfortunate addiction to picking up a new dice set whenever I make a character-

Does anybody have tips for organizing dice? I've got all of them in a nice bag, but when it comes to finding a particular dSomething it ends up being a struggle.

I'd just pull them out at the start but table space is a bit limited.
>>
>>49895102
separate them well before the game?
>>
>>49895102
Buy separate bags for them? Or a partitioned box?
>>
>>49894206

Yes.

It wouldn't explode mind you, as magic weapons are mostly indestructable, but yes, you can weild a stick of dynamite

Just kidding, I would probably let you explode it

I would also let that weapon be an instrument, which would be nice if you're a golden fiddle bard, or just want nice performance checks in general
>>
>>49894330
>barbarian and ranger having any business telling any other class what to do

The answer is obvious

fireball them

or tell them you're gonna twin haste on them and cast hold person instead

they both start with an H.
>>
>>49890357
Monks can do a ton of shit other martials can't do. They're proficient in all saving throws, can keep enemies persistently stunned, are immune to some effects and can just choose to end others, and they can spend ki to gain features that other classes get. Not to mention the fact that they're never unarmored, never unarmed and run all over the place.

They're masters of the mundane. That's what they're supposed to be. If WotC came up with a cool feat or some cool magic items, everyone would stop bitching. People would also bitch less if they actually played the game like WotC intended with 2 short rests per day.
>>
>>49894778
>>49895281

I mean sure I could kill the party but that seems counter productive itself, because then I would die.
>>
>>49895281
>thinking a fireball will do anything to a barbarian
>ranger has no excuse though, he deserves it
>>
>>49895319
yea but then the barbarian and ranger couldn't boss you around

show them all
>>
>>49894382
Strength is my 8, not feasible.
>>
>>49895239

I like your rule. It's a nice boost for bladelocks, no homebrew necessary

>mfw I realize this was a Futurama Episode
>>
>>49895366
So I'm the DM for this group and I'm setting up the party into a situation where they can't win. At all.

The boss they'll be fighting is going to be a female fallen paladin. I want her to be stacked enough to weather the wizards spells, the paladins smites, the monks punches, and the rangers arrows.

How do I do this? Any ideas?
>>
>>49895314
>They're proficient in all saving throws
A very high level monk is. Most monks are not.
>>
>>49895487
Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
>>
>>49895487
Is it just going to be her vs the party?

because if so you'll have to beef her up to the point of ridiculousness.

5e is all about the action economy, throwing one powerful npc vs a whole party of less powerful PCs is probably going to be over fast.

what level is your party?

You'll probably have to give her legendary actions to keep the fight from being easy/boring as fuck. Or let her summon allies like skeleton knights or something
>>
>>49895487
Reskin a tarrasque.
>>
>>49895487

Never remove player's agency

They'll choose to fight to death, always
>>
>>49895487
Why. If you want them to lose just make it a fucking cutscene where she owns them.

Forcing your players to fight an encounter where they cant win is really shitty.
>>
>>49895532
They're 6 and 5 the highest being the paladin and the ranger.

I planned on having it be a battle with her watching then stepping out saying she'll duel the PCs.
>>
>>49895570
Because they've been walking thro her order like a hot knife thro butter. Now they get to see the real back bone of her order.

Also they're about to destroy and entire city and the PCs are going to try and stop them. It's a given.
>>
>>49895605
>>49895625

Frankly I think it's just a shit idea

like everyone has said, don't take away player agency. don't throw them up against something they can't possibly win.

A full party of level 6s and 5s, against a single humanoid. That single humanoid would need to have a pretty huge CR for it to be an "unwinnable battle".
>>
>>49895625
Then make it a cutscene. Don't make your players waste time trying to win a battle they can't win. The very act of rolling for initiative strongly implies it is a battle they can win.
That's not good DMing and I would be pissed as hell if my DM did that to me.
>>
>>49895639
I don't plan on killing the party. I want it to seem like she's simply toying with them and then it will give, the paladin especially, someone to find again and defeat.
>>
>>49895625
In that case don't even make stats.
I'm serious.
Pick spells and abilities you like if you need something to base it off but you should pretty much just be improvising arbitrary abilities anyway.
Not like it'll be more "balanced" if you get advice from this thread considering you're shooting for "unwinnable".
>>
>>49895644
Why? Do you just expect to win everything? I get that you think they want to win but my players are in it for the story, the paladin in it for the smiting.
>>
>>49895660
Then don't make stats, just have her pass all saves, dodge or block or just tank all attacks.
Hit on every roll then roll (player level x 2d10) damage.
>>
>>49895682
You roll dice when there is a chance of success or failure.
Most people concentrate on the latter point when discussing over-rolling.
You need to take a look at the former.
>>
>>49895668
Well I plan on keeping her because I know that the party paladin is going to want to kill her no matter what.
>>
>>49895625
Just own up and accept that your evil order lost. RPG means role playing game, not rigged party gutter, your job as dm is to give them a challenge not to strap them into a chair while poop falls on them.
>>
>>49895625
Those kinds of battles work in Final Fantasy, but I'm not sure if anyone likes them in D&D.

She could challenge their champion, aka the paladin, to single combat though, that would make it less silly. I've no idea why the players would accept, except for "muh honor" though.
>>
File: 1.jpg (241KB, 832x1367px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
241KB, 832x1367px
>>49895660
and we're telling you that the way you wanna do it is shit

they've been fucking up her order, yea? Send her and a squad of elite blackguard/oathbreakers/deathknights or whatever you call them.

Don't even stat them. Just make it obvious that the pcs can't fight her and 6 other elite fallen paladin or whatever. Your players will probably try anyway, because players are dumb and think D&D is a video game. If that happens, crush them. Fudge rolls and make it clear quickly that even one of these guys would be a fight.

frankly it sounds like up to this point you've failed to make them an adequate adversary to your party and you're hoping having le big bad ass beat them all will make them all a credible threat. It'll just piss your players off and feel like they got bullshitted.

Maybe let the PCs win against this order, after which they discover that this order is just an arm of a much larger, more powerful order. Then make them the real threat
>>
>>49895706
I'm sorry but they haven't lost. Yet. While the party has been breezing thro grunts they have yet to fight the elites. Big jobs mean bigger and badder troops guarding them.

>>49895710
I don't know, I've done something similar to a different group years ago and they loved it. They thought they were done for, gave them a sense of dread.
>>
File: Uncanny Dodge.webm (288KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Uncanny Dodge.webm
288KB, 400x400px
>>
Figure out what level you want the party to be when they take her down for real.

Stat out a deadly boss for that level.

But for real, don't put all your cr eggs in one basket. Single foe fights are notoriously hard to make fun, especially in this edition.

Give her an elite team working under her, about the same size as the party. Then stat them out as a deadly encounter for whatever level you want the party to be when they take them down.
>>
File: 2914743.jpg (359KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2914743.jpg
359KB, 1920x1080px
What would be the best build to roll as Geralt of Rivia? EK? Bladelock? What are good replacements for his signs?
>>
>>49895974
In the witcher, signs are basically cantrips.

So honestly, fighter with magic initiate, and crafting proficiency in alchemist tools.
>>
>>49895968
Thank you. I'll probably just do that as I can't think of how to make it a fun 1v4 fight. Maybe have her challenge the paladin to a duel.
>>
>>49895974
order of the mutant blood hunter is straight up the witcher

but if you're restricted to just PHB, probably a DEX eknight with magic initiate, variant human for magic initiate then make you cantrips fit the signs as best you can
>>
Guys, I need some help.

I'm DM'ing my first ever campaign, and I told people they can bring pretty much any homebrew stuff they want into it as long as it's within reason.

One of them wants to play an Undead Cleric. Undead similar to The Forsaken from Warcraft off the top of my head.

How should I go about this? It'd be pretty easy to write them in to my world, but how would an Undead Cleric even work? I could just have him be a Death Domain Cleric from the DMG and have him not be evil necessarily, but does anyone have any sort of Undead PC Homebrew Race I could use?
>>
>>49896102
>I'm DM'ing my first ever campaign, and I told people they can bring pretty much any homebrew stuff they want

Anon I...
>>
>>49889120
Monks. I like punching things.
>>
File: 1471881017898.png (199KB, 376x302px) Image search: [Google]
1471881017898.png
199KB, 376x302px
>>49896111

I'm a mad cunt.

Most of them are perfectly reasonable guys anyway, they wont be bringing fucking Super Saiyans or Ninjas.

Just incase they wanted to play something a bit different like the revised Ranger or some UA stuff.
>>
>>49895968
I think the ways you make 1vMany fights fun is to do the whole multiple HP bars thing, increase number of legendary actions, etc.
You basically have to turn the single enemy into a many enemy.

And possibly create lair actions, or just ways they can affect the environment in their favor.
>>
>>49896102
Look for the revenant player race in the mega. I think it's a ua.
>>
>>49896179
Yeah, I've tried that. It can work, but it still leaves something to be desired.
>>
>>49891411
I was able to get a tricertops. It was fun as hell.
The one time we fought in an open area i completly ended the encounter by myself.
1 readyed attack and two full turns later
>>
>>49896135
Just make it clear to them you reserve the right to balance crazy shit if they try to break the game with their homebrew either on purpose or not.

Usually homebrewing a race is fine, since it's mostly cosmetic and RP stuff anyway. You just need a party to be on board with working with them. Likely a LG vengeance pally won't play nice with an undead cleric. But they might! Just depends on the kind of game everyone wants to play. Just make sure you're all on the same page.

As far as classes go, I'd be pretty weary. Most homebrew things people want as far as class features can usually be given to them with a magic item.

Have them write out what character they want to play but then do their best to use the rules to create them. But then write you a wish list or some shit that you can review.

Players tend to get annoyed if they feel outclassed by one of their other party members. Even the chillest of dudes eventually get tired of it.
>>
>>49896102
>homebrew
>5e

This is not good
For anybody

There is an official 'death cleric'

But undead cleric..
You should probably post the stats of the undead so we can say 'Ha! Broken/useless!'
>>
>>49896135
>he doesn't allow sun soul monks and shadow monks
The fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>49896013
I remember playing the Witcher and using signs as EZmode overkill magic that destroys anything I face in seconds.
I remember playing 5e and using cantrips as shittier alternatives to a bow if my dex is too low for a bow, with the occasional useless utility effect that will make your GM upset if you try to make useful because they're 'supposed' to be useless and the status quo must be maintained.
>>49895974
There's a homebrew class on DM's guild called the Bloodhunter I think that is basically what you are looking for. It's a monster slayer that uses swords and alchemy and a little magic, if the magic and alchemy isn't potent enough for your taste you can multiclass three levels into wizard or something and grab the Alchemist feat from the equipment feat UA that gives double proficiency on alchemy tool checks. Make sure to grab Herbalism Kit proficiency too if you want to be able to make all the potions he can.
I would post the Bloodhunter here but I don't have it. It's probably inside a link in the OP.
>>
>>49896195
I do agree that big boss enemies are often very cool though when they've got many minions beneath them.
Then the party has to make decisions about who to target.

And it's a really easy way to make the big evil guy seem more evil when you have him treat his minions as expendables.

>have goblin underlings swarm the PCs and get them all grouped together
>unleash a fireball amidst them incinerating his goblins
>"And now I don't have to worry about paying them."

And then from time to time switch it up where the BBEG cares a lot about his followers.
>>
File: 1367880553703.gif (2MB, 360x213px) Image search: [Google]
1367880553703.gif
2MB, 360x213px
>>49896235

Like I said, they aren't gonna be doing dumb shit. The only reason I offered it to them is one of them wants to play a dumb "Tavern Brawler" class that just goes around pissed as fuck looking for fights.

They're not looking for gamebreaking, overpowered bullshit. Just something out of the norm.

>>49896255

You know fine well what I meant you cheeky devil.

One of them wants to play a fucking Sun Soul Monk Joseph Joestar completely straight.
>>
File: 1463359197388.gif (261KB, 540x383px) Image search: [Google]
1463359197388.gif
261KB, 540x383px
>>49896102
>>49896235
>do the same thing, say homebrew will be approved pending my approval
>half the applications for my campaign is someone with some fucking bullshit from dandwiki like an animated armor race that can "adapt" and get the racial abilities of pretty much any race
>dragon knight that is so ridiculous I wasn't sure if it was a joke or not
>blood mage that is the edgiest shit i've ever read
>mary sue garbage left and right

if you're just playing with some friends then homebrew isn't a big deal, if you're looking for players on roll20 it's like opening the floodgates in a place that already is an opened floodgate
>>
File: 1475082569771.jpg (5KB, 158x152px) Image search: [Google]
1475082569771.jpg
5KB, 158x152px
>>49896102
>I'm DM'ing my first ever campaign, and I told people they can bring pretty much any homebrew stuff they want
>>
So I really like the Firbolg from VGtM.

But then I read about them in past lore and they seem entirely different. So I plan on ignoring that shit and going with the new one, most likely.

I want to play a NG Firbolg Ancients Pally, what would be a cool nature deity for my warmhearted fey-ish giant-kin?
>>
>>49896356
well what fucking setting
>>
>>49896368
homebrew, most likely.
I just have a severe lack of knowledge when it comes to D&D deities and wanted to pull from some established ones, not make up my own.
>>
>>49896391
And to add, if not homebrew, the DM would probably go with FR.
>>
>>49896391
how could we tell you what god you should use in your homebrew setting

if you're using an official setting like faerun or eberron, why not google "Faerun nature god"

why ask us? there's also a bunch of god information in SCAG, PHB, DMG
>>
File: half_troll_by_aukerjii.jpg (291KB, 392x513px) Image search: [Google]
half_troll_by_aukerjii.jpg
291KB, 392x513px
>>49896356
New Firbolg lore is great, I always wanted some kind of not-giant fey-kin.
>>
>>49896425
I ask because it's a common question I see posted around here to see what people think and recommend.

In fact earlier in the thread someone did just that and got input and there was discussion. Not someone being told to essentially fuck off and decide for yourself.

So, any suggestions? If not, you don't need to reply, friendo.
>>
>>49896477
I like it a lot. I'm not sure how exactly I'd play him, but being NG I kind of like the idea of an Uncle Iro type character in terms of personality.
>>
>>49896540
I suggest you look it up yourself
>>
File: 1463263665959.png (193KB, 273x326px) Image search: [Google]
1463263665959.png
193KB, 273x326px
One of my players is a Cthulufucker Warlock.

How often, if ever, would his Patron communicate with him?
>>
>>49896597
His Patron doesn't even know he exists. "Communication" is more like the Warlock just happens to be in the direction of its eldritch farts.
>>
Running a game on roll20

what can I do about making grid maps for my needs?

IRL I can just graph them out on a battlemap or grid paper, dunno what I do on roll20
>>
>>49896609

Ah, well that's a shame.

I had some minor Lovecraft shit set up for my guys because they love that, even before I knew one of them was gonna be a Great Old One Lock (which I honestly should have seen coming) and was wondering if I should throw in some spooky mind rape for him.
>>
>>49896609
This, I basically play Warlocks as a mosquito sucking blood out of an Otherworldly whale for their power. Something like Cthulu especially wouldn't give any fucks about you.
>>
>>49896632
It's up to you, man. I was just going with the typical Lovecraft set up of how the Old Ones don't even pay attention to mortal races.
>>
>>49896568
Who hurt you?
>>
>>49889120
Damage sorcerer. Nothing quite says 'fuck you' at low-levels like Quickened Scorching Ray followed by an Eldritch Blast(magic initiate OP).
>>
>>49896632

The patron not knowing about the warlock is just a suggestion in the book, you can do whatever you want.
>>
>>49891819
I got to play as an Awakened Bald Eagle wizard in 3.pf once.
Yes, I made lots of 'murrica jokes. No, I am not a furry. The campaign was supposed to be funny anyway, though the level adjustment the DM put on me made me pretty useless at the time.
>>
>>49895314
Also while a gwm need to spend weapon superiority dice for precision attack. A monk is more eficient while using his short rest resource "ki" and gets more ki.

Until lvl 11 the monk is balanced, after lvl 11 the monk starts to fall down. but see

A lvl 11 bm figther have like 5 Superiority dice
A Ki monk have 11 ki points.

Also figther needs to use 1 per precision attack with gwm to get a +10
While monk gets 2d8(9)+10 per 1, also elemental monk can burn through resources to waste 5 ki points for 4d10(11)

So if we count a combat of 4 rounds.

We have mister fighter at lvl 11 with a two handed weapon:

Doing 13.3 dmg with a two handed sword. x 3 attacks 39.9 -> 40
4 rounds ->160 -> 200 (action surge) + 50 from superiority dice and the +10 for great weapon master.

In 4 rounds a monk is gonna do 2d8+10x2 (using ki) ->19x8 152 plus 5 ki the first round and 3 the secound round -> 6d10 -> 218

Its 218 monk vs 250 fighter.

There a few things that have to be said about this:

>Once the monk have no ki he doest minimum dmg while the figther can keep on doing solid dmg.

>The figther can simply knock down the enemy so ge can get advantage to hit with -5, or get advantage in other many ways. Also i didnt count the bonus attack that probably a gwm gets every round if he does things well. That would be 302 for the figther

>if the monk can use 1ki per round without being overhelmed he gets a more effcient use of resources than the figther.

I think its not so ugly for the monk. Simply give some magical item that gives some dmg and the monk transforms into a killing machine. You have to be very carefull.
In one game we found a +2 quarterstaff ,and the master let the monk do the martiarl arts attacks with it. At lvl 7 That was a solid 46 plus some crits in between, using only 1ki per round.
I know every martial can do more, but the scary part of it ,is that the monk does 4 attacks without any setup every round -> guaranted crits and hits.
>>
>>49889120
depends of the master.

Dungeon crawl:
Paladin so i can deal with everthing while being durable.

Master that likes to develop player character and the use of the background and lore:
Wizard so i can know things and use spell to divine more things and deal with encounters without violence, support my party.

Cool-casual chill DM: BM figther so i can use manouvers to be an action movie hero.
>>
>>49896814
Just jumping in to say. Monks are stun masters.
This alone makes it worth it to have one by your side.
If an enemy gets stunned they're basically fucked.
The only time this is a bad thing is if your DM hates when his monsters get stunned and fudges rolls.

So I also agree monks are fine. I don't like when people simply compare numbers when there's a lot more that can go into an encounter than just making a lot of DPR.
>>
>>49896908
The most correct answer.
My class choices differ, but the thinking is the same.

If I don't know what the DM is like, I go druid.
>>
>>49896814
>Once the monk have no ki he doest minimum dmg while the figther can keep on doing solid dmg.

I dunno. A Monk without ki loses 25% of their damage, but that Fighter you wrote up used his Action Surge and Superiority Dice.

My point was that D&D isn't just about damage. People always make it sound like D&D is a video game, but it isn't. Your characters will find themselves in bad situations all the time. If you go to some sort of event and can't bring your weapons in, the Monk's going to look like a fucking God if a fight breaks out. If the evil sorcerer manages to summon Vecna, the Monk's going to be the first one out the door. This isn't a war game, it's an RPG.

I do love the idea of some Monk-specific items or feats, but I don't think they need a "fix."
>>
>I do love the idea of some Monk-specific items or feats, but I don't think they need a "fix."

Yeah that is why i said at the end that "you got to be careful" and put the example of the +2 quartestaff.
We keep it cos we had no martial character in the party. but a simply +2 dmg can make wonders or turn the thing into an op character.
>>
If I'm 5 ft away and 5 ft below an enemy and I shoot him with my battlemaster to push him, does he move backwards only or backwards and up? If up, does he fall before my next shot or after? Can I launch someone 195 ft if I'm lvl 20 with haste, my action surge, and a bonus attack?
>>
>>49897192
Rule of cool I would absofuckinglutely say yes if that's something you could even potentially do by spending your resources and rolling successful hits.

I might have him fall in sort of an arced motion while you continue to shoot him aloft.

Then again, you only have 6 superiority dice right? Wouldn't you be limited to 90 ft.
>>
>>49897192
Well depends of your master and campain.
If its a wuxia weaboo, and all the party have katanas and trenchcoats problaby is fine.

If there is a little of common sense on your campaign i think that you cannot rise someone on the air like Donte alas devil man cry, because thats not fucking coherent with the character and is cheessy as fuck.
>>
>>49897252
Wasn't there a feat that gives an extra superiority dice? I was under the impression you could take that multiple times. Regardless it was mostly about having the enemy go because his planet needs him.
>>
>>49897283
>hates fun

Nigger, it's fucking dungeons and dragons.
>>
New thread?
>>
>>49897377
>dub 7s on page 7
Get a dub 10 on page 10, which is when we move.
>>
>>49897294
>Looks like team rocket's blasting off again!
>>
>49897377
new thread
>>49897538
>>49897538
>>49897538
>>
>>49895660

Ok, fine, you want to Wolverine effect your entire party

That's okay I guess. So listen up. It's all about the fucking set up. The whiplash and the manipulation of the team into doing what you want them to do, and giving them the illusion of choice.

As in, present her to them after a choice, which is in reality just an excuse. If they turn right, show them the pala, if left, show them the paladin

Then, it's set the mood. Paladins have auras

As they come in, those capable of feeling auras, like clerics and warlocks and shit suddenly feel a tightness. Cut off. Silenced

What is she doing? Is it creepy? Describe it like a proper DM. When they think of her, they can't think of an enemy, they have to think of abject fear. The rasping of a wet stone on blade, the ploping of slaw on a rotten orgen, or the smell of pork and sulfer of something being obliterated by a hellish rebuke.

Build stage presence. Give her a thing about her that stands out. Spend the ammount of time you'd spend setting up a boss, which will be dissonant with the fact that you're halfway through the session.

Then, a display of Force. The Tank is going to be an idiot and want to rush at her. Play on that. Make her use Hold Person or Command depending on what her goals are.

Make her use a Destructive Wave that doesn't use damage but slams them against the wall, as the screams of the damned echo through her room, and the temperature rises.

Then have her walk up the wizard rip off a piece of his clothing, and give it to her mount, a hell hound for it to sniff.

Then give them the choice:
>>
>>49897722

>"Time for sport."
>Suddenly they can move again
>"Twelve"
>"Eleven"
>"Wait what"
>The stone cracks and her sword light on fire
>"Ten"
>"Lets fight"
>"Six"
>"Wait, what about nine?"
>"I LIED, FOUR"
>"THREE"

and so on

And if they still don't run, just run the encounter, have them knocked silly, when someone gets knocked the fuck out, have her misty step them away, wake up in a sacrifice table somewhere, and have them escape their condition, whatever
>>
>>49897394
Nigga how high is you?
Thread posts: 339
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.