[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Times you dropped someone from your campaign

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 51

File: 1376196577231.jpg (59KB, 500x361px) Image search: [Google]
1376196577231.jpg
59KB, 500x361px
>Playing a game of Pathfinder with some friends
>One guy is unnaturally resilient (he was a Rogue btw)
>If I ask him how much HP he has, it's always just enough to avoid a KO.
>If I focus on him, he always survives the onslaught with 1HP.
>After three weeks of this crap, I pulled him aside and asked him to show me his character sheet.
>Only the total HP is written down, everything else is totally spotless.
>Claims that he could "do it all in his head."
>Next session, keep a mental note of the damage I'm dealing to him.
>After campaign, I tell him that he's not invited to the next campaign and that his character is dead.
>He protests and asks why.
>I dealt 67 damage to him over the course of session.
>He only has 48 total HP.

I also want to mention, he didn't heal any of the damage and he also didn't have anything that would've mitigated the damage like DR either.

He also wasn't a half-orc either, he was playing a Halfling.

He was just a shitter who hated losing.
>>
>>49856911
That guy thread?
>>
>>49856937
I guess.

Did you kick him outta the group though?
>>
File: loVA2ej.jpg (26KB, 420x315px) Image search: [Google]
loVA2ej.jpg
26KB, 420x315px
>>49856911
Oh god these kind of guys make me cringe so much.
>>
>>49856911
While technically not me dropping the player, he's no longer allowed in the group if he ever shows up again.
>A:BF campaign
>Dude joins, says he was interested in Anima for a while
>rolls a Tao, lotsa offensive martial arts.
>Starts immediately gloating over the fact that he does more damage than the rest of the party
>"He ONLY does this much damage, lol", that sorta shit.
>Thinly veiled hostility to any female player, female PC, female NPC(that wouldn't immediately jump his dick), and generally any female within 10 feet of him in the FLGS where I run.
>To the point that he was legit mad when a girl was playing M:tG two tables down because he could hear her talking.
>Generally unhelpful in the campaign proper, would split off from the group to do his own thing, or would gloat when coming to the rescue of another player.
>Also always getting rides home from me for free, but never doing something as nice as, say, kicking a buck or two my way for a soda and some chips, as a courtesy.
>Rest of group wants me to boot him. I tell them that I will the following session.
>Session comes, he doesn't show. Next session, same deal.
>Stops coming altogether because non-group-related reasons.

If he ever comes back to the store, I'm telling him flat-out he's barred from this campaign, as well as any campaign I run in the future unless he can stop being a shithead.
>>
>>49857378
>tfw same story but with 3.5/Twilight 2000 and he hated gays

Thankfully no one who went to our FLGS was gay that anyone knew of, but why is it these kind of people always have to live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere that don't have cars/rides?
>>
>>49857465
I dunno, though technically I am the one who lives in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, and drive 45 minutes to the FLGS. THAT GUY was two, three miles tops from the damned store, and would take the bus to get there, but as there wasn't one that came by around the time the store closed, he couldn't really walk or wait for the next one, as things could get... interesting in the area, the store being on the outskirts of the capital city and all.
>>
>>49857378
I had a similar fella in our PF group.

He would always brag about how much AC he had and would always charge into combat for that +2 bonus even though he had no means of one-shotting the thing we were fighting.

He would also get butthurt if someone managed to either overcome his AC or hit him with a spell like "suggestion" or something, he would throw a bitch fit and sulk until his turn came up again.

He doesn't play with us anymore because he graduated.
>>
>>49856911
i had a guy who would go full "gas the kikes race war now" /pol/. Afer the third time i told him i dont want him to play. Wanted to start a fight but after i thretened to call the cops backed away
>>
File: Level 20 Virgin.jpg (212KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
Level 20 Virgin.jpg
212KB, 640x960px
>>49856911
My group kicked a player once because he was one of those "HUMANS ONLY! EVERYTHING ELSE IS A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE AND YOU'RE WEEABOO FAGGOTS IF YOU PLAY ANYTHING ELSE!" guys.

At first we put up with up, but it turns out he was also one of those faggots who thought he knew everything about every style of historical martial arts ever and would constantly bitch that half the thing anyone else in the game did was unrealistic and wouldn't work (while talking about how he could pull off retarded shit like how he could cleave through a metal kiteshield with a shortsword with proper technique.)
He would also constantly bitch that magic was "broken" any time the wizard in our party, who was a timid player who had a hard time speaking up and barely got the spotlight anyway, would do ANYTHING. Nevermind that the wizard had half his HP, non-optimized spells (due to being a new player) and was literally one of the weakest characters in terms of combat. Nope Shield spell to push him to 15 AC at the cost of a spell slot was bullshit when he was wearing full plate with a shield for 20 AC all the time for free.

Hell, I didn't even have to kick the guy out, the group did it for me and I just kinda stood there and said "Hey, I'm just listening to my players. We're not the group for you, sorry."
>>
>>49858016
Sounds like someone forgot /tg/ isn't %100 of RPG players.
>>
>GMing 5e for my friends
>One of them invites a friend of his to fill the 4th spot
>He has a crippled leg due to an accident, so he needs a walking cane
>Outside of the game i've met him twice and he seemed a cool dude both times, a little on the edge about his bad leg and short tempered, but that's par for the course I guess
>But once we got in the game his temper flared up all the time
>As in bad rolls were blamed on me and enemies doing something other than trying to bang their heads against the tankiest character's massive plated armor was me being a dick
>Towards the end of the 3rd session during a big fight against a boss, he started poking me with his cane whenever the boss turned towards his character
>When the boss decides to give up and bails, he whacks me on the knuckles for cheating them out of their experience

I told him to walk out, but he said he was going to leave anyways because he was going to start playing the wheelchair basketball thingy and a match was just coming up later that day (he was talking out of his ass , but I assume that this was intended to be a "I'm going out and having a life, nerd" jab at me). I Wished him luck (read: Told him to break a leg). We found a new player two weeks later and the game ended early because the players had to flake.
>>
>>49858016
People who bring "realism" into Roleplaying games are the absolute worst. Especially when they're talking out their ass 90% of the time. I usually won't invite them to my games at all anymore.
>>
>>49858194
>Break a leg

top fucking kek
>>
>>49858016
Realism is the cancer killing tabletop.

If people can accept that most vidya isn't historically accurate, I fail to see why tabletop doesn't get the same benefit of a doubt.

It's like, yeah, I'd love to inject shit into my game that properly emulates the life of a peasant engaging in medieval warfare but there comes a point where you gotta accept that not everything has to be realistic, especially when the setting's own internal logic emulates nothing that can be seen IRL.
>>
File: LowFantasyRPGSetting.gif (1019KB, 500x245px) Image search: [Google]
LowFantasyRPGSetting.gif
1019KB, 500x245px
>>49858482
filename
>>
So as a player I was with this guy in a game of Black Crusade, if it's of any value he was playing a nightLord chaos space marine. I had also invited him into an unrelated game I was hosting. ThE game was played over Skype, and we would break into unrelated chit chat during the first hour for a bit. That Guy gets uppity and irritated at the pace of the game and starts attacking the gm verbally I'm the group chat and according to the gm private message. He gets booted and blocked. And I got the incentive to do the same in regards to him being in the game I was planning
>>
>>49858482
I think realism in a modern setting is fine, but realism in fantasy settings is dull as hell. Nobody wants to roleplay their character dying of a gangrenous wound inflicted by shit-spears.
>>
File: df.jpg (59KB, 448x473px) Image search: [Google]
df.jpg
59KB, 448x473px
>>49858872
>>
>>49858872
someone really hates fun, and has no imagination.
>>
>>49858872
Unless you've spent extensive amounts of time world-building, with a hex-map, a wiki, and shitloads of setting notes for me, the player, to root through at my leisure before game starts, I don't think that you have a say as to what can or cannot be playable.

I mean, we're playing in Schrodinger's generic fantasy setting anyways, is it really that hard to just let people play what you want when the world doesn't exist beyond what we can see anyways?
>>
File: IMG_1775.png (53KB, 590x618px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1775.png
53KB, 590x618px
>>49858872
>>
File: 1427729303991.jpg (271KB, 1508x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1427729303991.jpg
271KB, 1508x1000px
>>49858872
>That Guy detected.
>>
>>49858872
Nah. They wouldn't be listed in the book, statted, and labeled in the 'Playable Races' section of the book if you were right.

Unfortunately for you, they are.
>>
>>49858872
>humans are literally 95% of the world's population

In all settings? Damn.
>>
File: 1467548877810.jpg (29KB, 435x424px) Image search: [Google]
1467548877810.jpg
29KB, 435x424px
>>49858872
How precious, he thinks his opinion matters
>>
>>49858872
Of course allowing more than 1 non-core at a stretch is a stupid idea, but I'm getting the feeling that the post meant any non-human, not just Darksteels. There's a difference between getting mad at a half-angel half-demon half-kender with rainbow blood and a Sailor Moon tiara, and getting mad at an elf ranger or halfling rogue.
>>
>>49858872
Humanoids are boring
>>
>>49859062
For the record, yes I (>>49858016) did mean core-races only, 5e. If it wasn't in the player's Handbook, it wasn't allowed.
>>
File: 1412272561484.jpg (25KB, 347x347px) Image search: [Google]
1412272561484.jpg
25KB, 347x347px
>>49858872
That's some fishy bait, chum.
>>
>>49858482
Realism is fine.The problem isn't with preference in fantasy-levels or willingness/ability to suspend disbelief. The problem is people who show up to something like Pathfinder or Exalted, something unexpectedly over-the-top, and then bitch about how unrealistic it is.
>>
>>49858872
You are incredibly bad at expressing yourself without sounding like an asshole and should consider rereading most of what you actually type before submitting it.

I agree with the stance that you can't have a group composed of everything except the core races without having agreed upon it first, but you come across like a complete faggot that I'd never want to play with.
>>
>>49858872
>conplains about PCs getting other races
>"here guys, you're fighting a group of kobolds, two orcs, a half-elf-half-orc and a halfling"
>>
>>49858872
You better make some god-tier campaigns and settings, because the only reason i stepped out of vidya was to play more outlandish characters.
Cut that out and there is not much else.
>>
>>49858872

Snowflakefags will get booty bothered at you, but you're 100% correct. Humans a best, and it really says something about you if you need a super weird race to make your character interesting.
>>
>>49859006
>Unless you've spent extensive amounts of time world-building, with a hex-map, a wiki, and shitloads of setting notes for me, the player, to root through at my leisure before game starts, I don't think that you have a say as to what can or cannot be playable.

He's the fucking GM, retard. Yes he does.
>>
>>49859523
Does it though? I know weird races tend to attract weirdos, but it seems a bit much to start making blanket statements and accusations at people just because they want to play a fantastical race. It's a fantasy game, maybe they just want to have fun acting out something that doesn't exist in real life - like a dwarf, or an elf, or a halfling.
>>
File: LMFAO.png (34KB, 295x218px) Image search: [Google]
LMFAO.png
34KB, 295x218px
>>49859523
>Playing damage-control after getting get a retard by literally 15+ people.
>Straw-manning this hard on said damage-control.
>>
>>49859523
>Needing to play an adventurer to make your character interesting

You'll be a male human farmer and like it. Don't expect the DM to cater to your power fantasies
>>
>>49859523
Oh great, you're one of *those* people who thinks Tabletop RPGs are about playing a peasant while the lord's knights rape your wife and you die of dysentery. Please, just leave /tg/ forever, it's obvious you're in the wrong hobby.
>>
>>49859538
He may be the GM but he doesn't have the right to arbitrarily restrict character options just because he's too booty bothered to accept that, yes, these races are in core and are expected to be within the setting.

Rather than arbitrarily limiting what the player can choose, you should be considering what sorts of adventures this mixed race party would get into. I mean, there are stories that were built around mixed races being forced to work together before, imagine the story potential of a group that's not even comprised of different races but also different species as well.

There are literally hundreds of tabletop systems out there to simulate HFY shenanigans if you didn't want there to be a mixed party and if you default to systems that not only expect you to play all these different races but ENCOURAGES you to play all these different races then you will get no sympathy from me.
>>
File: ayoo.gif (969KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
ayoo.gif
969KB, 225x225px
>>49858016
>would constantly bitch that half the thing anyone else in the game did was unrealistic and wouldn't work

Reminds me of some shitty memelord that invited me to his game.
>"I will not let you dodge bullets, this isn't the Marix"
>reason the Dodge skill is for getting out of aim, not going bullet-time
>sperg rages at me that human reflex will never work like that
>he allows me to have a shark's metabolism and have a base speed of 70m/h
>>
>>49859548
Don't respond to bait, anon.
>>
>>49859555

>You disagree with me so you're that other
>Fifteen retards agree with me, so look who's the retard now, haha!

Bottom kek.

>>49859548
>Does it though? I know weird races tend to attract weirdos, but it seems a bit much to start making blanket statements and accusations at people just because they want to play a fantastical race.

People will speak in generalities as a matter of course. If your defense boils down to #notallseaelfplayers or whatever then you've already admitted my prejudice is correct the majority of the time, which is all I care about.
>>
>>49859629
I'll learn my lesson one day. I'm too optimistic that people would be reasonable.
>>
File: 1449007609876.png (193KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
1449007609876.png
193KB, 500x379px
>>49859634
>I am literally the only one to have an opinion that is flatout wrong, but if I scream everyone else is wrong, then eventually I'll be right when they all get bored and admit defeat (decide talking to me isn't worth the waste of oxygen).

You mad bro?
>>
>>49859634
>Make a dumb statement
>Get called a retard by 15 random people
>"Hurr, you're the retards not me :^)"

It's time to stop posting.
>>
File: when someone rolls a nat 1.gif (817KB, 500x220px) Image search: [Google]
when someone rolls a nat 1.gif
817KB, 500x220px
>>49859634
Holy shit the butthurt and damage control. My sides are in orbit. It's been a long time since I've seen someone on /tg/ get so utterly, unanimously, completely called out on their idiocy. Feels good to see the community actually has a limit on the amount of stupid they'll tolerate.
>>
>>49859634
Yep. One day. One day I'll learn my lesson.
>>
>>49859634
I'm a humanfag as much as anyone, but that's merely due to just not being interested in playing anything else. A good GM will allow core races and certain non-core as long as a player can be feasibly creative with it in terms of backstory and roleplay. 100% of GMs that disbar races based on prejudice alone are bad GMs. I've seen nothing but bad from them at gamestores, and even in pathfinder society itself, even though PFS rarely deviates from Core Races as is.

So no, You are unfortunately still wrong. It's been a 25 year run for me since 2e and players of your belief have been terrible GMs 100% of the time.
>>
>>49859634
I don't sea how anyone could get upset over someone being a sea elf, bar maybe a desert campaign.

They're literally just elves that live underwater, and elves are basically humans anyway.

Besides, you just said that part of the problem was often that the setting didn't have space for them, but that would mean you made specific notes about what lives in the ocean.

Plus, that's one that is actually quite distinct from humans, but in a more mundane way of dealing with cultural and environmental differences. It's ripe with role-playing opportunities, and one can't even claim that it's someone trying to optimize, since usually all you get is underwater breathing and a swim speed.

While in a few cases you do get special snowflakes who wasn't to be totally unique, it's often easy to change some notes and have their race be nothing special. Unless you've done a ton of worldbuilding, this is a non-issue, and if you've done that much world building without even discussing it with your players, perhaps you're the one who is out of place.
>>
>>49859771
>Sea elfs
Damnit, you ruined it...
>>
>>49859626
Well, the GM does get final say on what is going to fly and what isn't.

Unless the game is a sandbox where everything goes because the GM is a sponge for rules and not story.
>>
>>49859984
I agree with that in a sense. Inform the players beforehand what is and is not allowed. That's when you lay down the rules. But if you just tell people that you are running a campaign, have your character rolled and be at x location at this time, it's entirely the GM's fault if they later on do not want that character/race being played.

Set limits BEFORE the campaign starts. Let the players know what is and is not allowed. Otherwise you get 2 out of 3 players that roll either a Drow paladin or Dhampir paladin, out for a 'Redemption' Quest because he doesn't agree with how his race is portrayed and he battles internal monsters constantly.
>>
File: 1472969673847.jpg (403KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1472969673847.jpg
403KB, 1024x768px
>>49859984
I'm with you on this. Ultimately, the GM decides what goes or what doesn't. If the GM wants to play a mostly-human campaign, then it's on the players to decide if they want to be part of that game or not. Whilst I personally wouldn't play >>49858872 because I enjoy making wacky characters, that might appeal to some people. The bit I definitely don't agree with is the "humans are literally 95% of the world". Maybe YOUR world, but other GMs can decide for themselves how big or small a part humans play in their campaigns.

Now, the player described in >>49858016 is in the wrong. He's joined someone else's campaign and tries to impose his own rules on it when everyone else just wants to play the game that the GM has set up. If he wants to play a human, he should be able to do so, but he shouldn't be able to force someone else to be one, or insult them for not being one.
>>
>>49858522
Nice.
>>
>>49856911
>Start Rogue Trader campaign, look for players on Roll20
>Once all the megaretards who can't even follow simple instructions have been sorted out - including one message simply saying "let me" - I start talking to people one on one
>"I want to be a librarian"
>That actually sounds pretty cool. You wanna take over the ship's library and go around searching for lore and shit?
>"No, I want to be a space marine librarian."
>No. inb4 why not
>"Why not?"
>I can't believe I have to explain this, but aside from having to think up some convoluted reason for you to join the crew, you'd be way more powerful than everybody else.
>"Just make everyone else more powerful to compensate."
>Nah m8

He wasn't the worst of the people I talked to, but the one I remember clearest. The moral of this story is that if you're joining a new group, try to fit in and gain people's confidence and general approval before you start demanding the GM cater to your outlandish concepts.

I also have a predilection for figuring out rules abuses - not necessarily overpowered ones, but ways to use the RAW to break the universe. I also once had a player who, every time I explained how some rule could be taken to its extreme, and added that I'm not allowing it, tried to argue for me to allow him to do it.
>>
>>49856911
>>If I focus on him
cock detected. please preemptively drop me from all your campaigns as well, my fantasies of being helplessly penetrated by multiple monsters ended after watching your family videos.
>>
>>49859984
If the GM tells me that I can't play a race that's listed in the core rule book, it means one of two things.

1) He's disallowing the race due to some stupid hangout that has nothing to do with the setting.

or

2) He's more focused on his story, even when it clashes with the desires of the party.

Either way, I'm still going to show up with my character and either the GM is willing to compromise or he's willing let his narrative overrule our player agency.

I would also like to mention, I've been in multiple campaigns where this shit happened so I just chalk this up as a red flag for why the game will die in three weeks.
>>
>>49860293
Now I want to make a space marine librarian.

By which, I mean an aquatic librarian who happens to be in space.
And he's a marine in the classic sense, and is part of the ship's security detail.
>>
>>49856911
>DM of a long term campaign
>Group is about steady 4 people, including me. Few others came and went
>Long Pathfinder adventure that is entirely homebrewed, allowed third party stuff, generally laid back and sandboxy
>Normally works out, anything they use the NPCs can use
>This one guy, been there from the start. We'll call him John
>John starts the game as a CE rabbit gunslinger-magus thing
>Let it slide because hey, rabbit, he'll die fast
>No. First session he joins the party and nearly one shots the orc barbarian
>Let it go as a reactive shot, good natured cleric gives him some free potions
>Next three fights are solely done by John, taking out whoever is closest so the melee can't get involved
>He is very cinematic and must describe every movement, even as a rabbit.
>Players mad, John remakes his character
>NE, rabbit-person, gunslinger magus
>Fine John, fine
>Start making some enemies beefy against projectiles and magic, John is now pissy
>Campaign takes a turn and John's character is killed
>New character enter: Plant person that seemed fine, machinesmith third party class
>Now I didn't know the class perfectly, figured if it became an issue I would make him fight some
>Time goes on, seems to have simmered down. Still cinematic and time consuming, hogs the spotlight and gets pissy when someone else is the focus for a while
>John starts getting OP again, INT to everything and massive CON score, super tanky yet still pretty good damage
>About the full year in now, figure let it go, gonna be taking a break anyways to develop a method to kill this one
>Mind you this hasn't been a low power campaign. He's OP in a high power one, the druid became a disease themed lich and warpriest one shot a dragon (Though he rolled one crit in the charge)
>Ask John to see his character sheet, look on the SRD for the class too, make the enemies for later
>See so much shit that is not on the SRD
>John says he bought the pdf, won't show it to me but says its all legit
Cont.
>>
>>49857378
>Not buying gas or dinner for your ride
What the fuck
>>
File: 1464366975549.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1464366975549.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>49858194
>Told him to break a leg
>>
>>49860371
If you cannot accept that there are some things that just need to be a certain way in a campaign, that already tells a lot about you as a player. If the GM tells everyone ahead of time that his backstory is about elves being inherently evil and now a miniscule, nonexistent race due to a massive conflict that saw them wiped off the map and you show up as an elf, that makes you the asshole, not him.
>>
File: 1448477101438.png (195KB, 486x218px) Image search: [Google]
1448477101438.png
195KB, 486x218px
>>49858194
>Break a leg
>>
>>49858872
I like to let my players choice of race affect the completed form of my setting, my own gm allowed a PF lizardman in his home brewed setting and let him flesh out how his people fit in the setting and why he was so far from home
>>
>>49860391
>John is now on my and the party's last nerve
>Tell him to remake character, he's got time
>Tell the party the game is going on hiatus for a month of two so I can write all the new plot and setting changes, a year's worth of plans has been used up.
>Tell them I'll be opening up a short term game for a setting I already made to keep them occupied
>Get a couple new people, all but John show up to session 0 to discuss goals
>Decide they want to be evil
>John enters 20 minutes late, gets pissy about being murder hobos
>Mother fucker you had no story in the whole year I played with you, just bullshit
>Party wants to be a mafia type organization and take over a city, not murder hobos
>John leaves call without a word, starts messaging me later to change the game
>Starts getting mad at me for not changing the game
>Tell him he should have spoken up and tried to change their minds
>He blames me still, crying that I'm ending the year long game for this new short term one and he shouldn't have to complain about 'murder hobos'.
>That was the straw that broke the camel's back. Blame the DM for your not speaking up and I'm done
>Kick him from group, cut any connection with him
>Oh but John is not done
>Next three days I learn he's been pestering the nicest guy in the group to send messages to me
>Have to add him back to tell him I'll let him know when the main game picks up again just so he leaves everyone alone
>He is never coming to any of my games again
>Fuck you John, you cunt.
>>
>>49860342
This was a dude who would sneak behind enemy lines just to stab one of them in the dick (his words not mine) for the sneak attack damage even when I told him that it wasn't a good idea.

Is it my fault when he draws aggro due to the enemies realizing that some halfling just stabbed their buddy in the dick and half of them focused on beating him to death?
>>
>>49860450
I can accept that some things need to be a certain way in the campaign but not when it forces us, as players, to scrap our character ideas just so that we can slot ourselves more effectively into the GM's shitty narrative focused campaign.

You know what happened when a GM of ours told us that we were playing in a setting where elves flooded the world?

We ended up spending six hours being ping-ponged between outrageous threat after outrageous threat as the GM narrated how an NPC elf dominated another GMPC elf while a slutty angel fought the NPC elf as the pirate ship we were on turned into a dragon-lich as we held on for dear life.

I mean, it's not even that hard to incorporate an elf character in the campaign you described, it just seems hard because you're narrow-minded and uncreative.
>>
>>49858872
but adventurers ARE weirdos.

it seems fine for them to be a ragtag band of misfits.

People who go risk their lives to fight slime in a dungeon in hopes of finding treasure aren't exactly beloved to society as a whole; they're practically hobos. So yeah, these weirdos might well band together, in the same way that gay people, furries, etc have a community.
>>
>>49858872
>humans are literally 95% of the world,

Maybe if you use a shitty setting.
>>
>>49858872
>"I wanna be a wizard! I wanna be a mage!"
No.
"Magic" is one of the worst blights inflicted on fantasy in the modern era, right next to anime and video games. It's a series of codified "fuck yous" to the DMs and authorial intent alike. Any stupid shit your player wants to do they justify with "magic." Any unrealistic character shit or stupid weapons has them whining for magic. They beg for speshul snowflake races, talking animals, and stupid monsters on the pretense of "magic." And on the flipside, fantasy with actual artistry and historical research put in has them gets shit on as "boring."
I am sick and tired of coddled Millennials expecting that their actions should have no consequences and that they should have a pointy hatted fucker there to throw bombs at all the bad guys and heal their booboos, and being convinced that if they DIE and LOSE THE GAME that they don't have to really really lose because ~its magic~!

I tried introducing my players to this cool historical fantasy campaign I wanted to run last weekend so they could bring their characters this weekend, and they immediately started the usual shit.

>"I want my character to be an elf!"
There are no elves. There are only humans.
>"I want to be a ninja!"
There are no ninjas in Europe.
>"Yeah but there might be!"

It never fucking stops. Now I have to find a whole new group because every shitty ass player nowadays is brainwashed into thinking everything should be like World of Warcraft. Nobody expected to read about a half-demon-half-angel-dual-scythe wielding sparkefairy in Lord of the Rings. It should not be acceptable today either.

There is a MASSIVE gulf nowadays between real fantasy and the unrealistic anime tripe being thrown around, and it's getting harder and harder to find people who aren't blinded by the sparkleys and are receptive to intelligently planned and researched settettings/plots. They think they're entitled to be superheroes instead of part of something bigger.
>>
>>49860584
THere's the thing. There's always going to be those Weeb GMs that do things like that. As long as you at least paid homage to the starting rules they had put in place, there's no awkwardness when you have to bow out because the campaign doesn't go your way. At least then you can tell the butthurt players you followed his rules.

There are times when GMs step out of line. While what you listed is frowned upon, the players have a choice to leave, which may railroad the GM back on track.

That was not just the GM's fault, the players were at fault as well.
>>
File: 1476368476961.png (810KB, 1891x4764px) Image search: [Google]
1476368476961.png
810KB, 1891x4764px
>>49858016
>>49860669
>>
>>49860669
10/10 copypasta b8

How the hell did you get this as a non-greentext? Did you save it as a word doc??
>>
>>49860712
Copy paste?
>>
>>49859626
>He may be the GM but he doesn't have the right to arbitrarily restrict character options just because he's too booty bothered to accept that, yes, these races are in core and are expected to be within the setting.
So you don't want a GM, you want a bitch who gives you a handjob while telling you how awesome your character is.

I don't give a shit whether some race is core or not, if it doesn't exist in the setting you don't get to play one. Don't like it, get the hell out of my house.
>>
>>49860669
>authorial intent
>intelligently planned and researched settettings/plots
Stop trying to convey your idea for a no doubt best-selling novel through a game and write the fucking book already.
>>
>>49860669
>>49860849

>Responding to copypasta as though it's a real argument.
>>
>>49860816
Agreed on that. Regrettably, I don't like being as.... blunt as that, but I agree 100%. Regardless of whether or not it's a shit GM a player listens to the pre-determined rules set into the campaign. I'm not against having no core races or races that don't exist. That's perfectly fine. But when elves are an extinct race and a player tries to convince and force the GM to allow him to play said elf, the player is 100% at fault.
>>
>>49859627
>not knowing the rules
>arguing with the DM

you are that guy, faggot
>>
>>49860686
Which is why when I hear someone say "X doesn't exist in my setting" I usually either don't bother or show up with a character that challenges their setting.

In most situations, the GM will throw up so many red flags that the game ends up disintegrating within three weeks, like the one time I was playing an elf and my disguise got ripped off within the first five minutes of play because the guards just so happened to recognize that I was an elf on sight and the first three sessions were basically spent with me and the rest of the party having to break out of prison on charges of being an elf and elf sympathizers respectively.

A good GM can make most things work so long as he and the player are willing to meet halfway on things, especially if the GM has a good idea of how things work within his setting.
>>
>>49858872
Maybe you should actually be a good GM and tell your players beforehand what races are allowed. Or maybe you just intentionally want to come off as an asshole.
>>
>>49860389
This, I might have allowed.

>>49858270
>>49858482

>>49858872
Well baited, I guess.

>>49859626
>He may be the GM but he doesn't have the right to
Let me stop you right there. He can do whatever he wants. Ask nicely for what you want, or get the fuck out.

>>49860498
This is at least partially your fault for allowing them to use crazy combinations.
>>
>>49860877
I dunno. I could see a few ways to get the desired effect.

Maybe the character is a huge elfaboo and used transmutation magic to give themselves pointy ears, and their motives involve researching the ancient history of elves.

Maybe they're a Warwick who got their appearance altered due to a raw deal with some Fae

Maybe they were some burly barbarian, and a wizard tried to polymorph them into a girl to get their goat, but ended up with an elf instead.

Maybe a druid cast reincarnation to try to bring someone back and it ended up with something extinct.

Some of these are more plausible, and it doesn't entirely require the use of the station either, by it's more constructive to ask the player why they want to play an elf, and find alternatives that can be worked in.
>>
File: 562.jpg (67KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
562.jpg
67KB, 600x600px
>>49860883
>>not knowing the rules
Yeah, that's how I made my char nearly unkillable and able to grow limbs back while everyone else died faster than I could fart. By not knowing the rules.

>>arguing with the DM
When the GM bans a single skill because MUH REALIZM but sees nothing wrong with me being a category 5 hurricane made out of steel and bullets, yes I will argue with the silly cunt.

>you are that guy, faggot
pic related
>>
>I want to be a female <entirely male race here, don't ask, it involves a tree>
"That's literally impossible."
>I want to be an elder <monster that goes through a second puberty where they become flesh-eating killers>
"No way, they're borderline mindless and kill anything not their species on-sight"
>I want to be a wolf anthro
"The animalfolk races are rabbits, rats, and bats. Seeing a pattern here?"
>I want a <monster genus that is invariably hostile and not mundane in any aspect> as an animal companion.
"You would have a better chance of taming bacteria."
>I want a <perception power> that lets me see ghosts!
"Souls are literally not a thing, but you can have one that lets you perceive lingering mana which is close."
>Nuuuuuuu

Would it kill them to read the setting material and not just look at the stats?
>>
File: bait11.jpg (168KB, 1016x970px) Image search: [Google]
bait11.jpg
168KB, 1016x970px
>>49860849
>>49858872
>>
>>49860816
>>49860877
It's not hard to pull a "last of his kind" story, then again it requires you to have skill as a GM so I can see why that'd be an issue for you.

Barring that, why are you basing an entire campaign around banning player options, rather than a campaign in which the player has access to the entirety of the PHB?

Especially for systems like D&D that kinda assumes that you're a mixed race party in the first place?
>>
>>49860998
Let me ask
>>
>>49860980
I could see the 'elf' guise being a curse, part of a backfired transmutation effect perhaps, as long as it is discussed with the GM ahead of time and he approves. That alone shows creativity on the player's part and flexibility on the GMs.
>>
>>49860973
>Let me stop you right there.
No, if the campaign hinges on removing player options to work then it's just not a well designed campaign, period!
>>
>>49861006
The "last of his kind" trope is so horribly beaten over the head. I can see why you wouldn't understand it being a bad thing. Then again, I highly think you may be one of those players who believes martials beat casters 100% of the time.
>>
File: angry about elves.jpg (27KB, 550x281px) Image search: [Google]
angry about elves.jpg
27KB, 550x281px
>>49859771
>Elves are basically humans anyway
>>
>>49861006
When you sign-up to play in my campaign, you agree to play in a game based on a certain, often rather specific premise. The premise sometimes means that not all options are on the table, even if they are part of the PHB. Don't like it, either GTFO or GM yourself.

>>49861064
You're an entitled piece of shit and I'm glad I'll never see your kind at my table.
>>
>>49861077
Tell me why it's a bad thing.

Tell me how it's any less overdone than "ancient civilization totally wiped out by a thing that you may or may not have to discover on your own" stories.

Oh wait, you can't.
>>
File: commoner party.jpg (110KB, 720x486px) Image search: [Google]
commoner party.jpg
110KB, 720x486px
>>49859566
Now I wonder how well a party of peasants would work
>>
>>49861064
If your character concept hinges on being of a specific race, it's just not a well-designed character, period.
>>
>>49861117
I never said it's a bad thing. But look at just about every fantasy movie barring lord of the rings, (And even in that there are strong instances) It's so overdone.

You're literally a Drow Paladin if you believe otherwise. I'm through wasting brain cells on you.

Unfortunately for you, most others would be inclined to agree with me on that.
>>
>>49861092
I have literally NEVER seen a campaign that banned player options that ended up surviving past the first three weeks.

Y'wanna know why? Because they never think beyond the premise and it ends up falling apart because people start asking questions that the GM has no answers for.
>>
>>49861008
There is a single tree in my setting that is known for ensnaring living things and draining their vital fluids, leaving a litter of dry husks around it. Which of course prompts looters and the curious to see WTF is going on which further feeds the tree.

With the consumed blood, flesh, semen, and ovums, it begins to produce fruit which contain a human embryo. This fruit grows slowly over the span of a few years before its weight drags its branch down to the ground allowing it to safely snap off. The human inside awakens, consumes the fruit, and emerges as something with a physical age of 4 but capable of fending for itself. A notable trait of these humans is that they are all male, have pale blue hair and do not seem to age (but still die after 80-100 years). Their innate connection to nature gives them a supernatural affinity to magic, and they are able to easily infuse magic into mundane items.

The civilized ones form a secluded group of artificers that tinker and experiment with their powers, while the uncivilized ones have a life expectancy not much higher than 10 due to local fauna. There are many rumors around them, many of which say they sacrifice people to the tree to increase their numbers but this is just superstition.

Their origins and magic affinity means they can become one of the fey far more easily than normal humans. They can reproduce as humans can, and their offspring are completely normal except for their blue hair.

I know it's bad writing but IDGAF.
>>
>>49861189
It's no less overdone than the ancient civilizations trope that gets ported into every fantasy/sci-fi story within recent history.

And the reason the last of his kind thing gets used a lot is because it's easy to generate stories based around it.

No seriously, it's so easy to base a story around and yet you're so uncreative that you'd rather just say "no, not relevant to MY setting" and railroad the party around your narrative as you waste our time going on about YOUR story, to the detriment of ours.

It's obvious going in that we're going to probably find out why all the elves spontaneously died before the setting started and it's going to be after months of buildup with no payoff.

You're not fooling anyone.
>>
>>49861206
My last long-lasting campaign was a Ravenloft game. Half-orcs weren't allowed, and it went on for a year. Currently I'm running an Only War game that got to 9th session last week(so more like 3 months because of all the missed sessions) and everything outside corebook is softbanned because I and most of my players are unfamiliar with the system. Before the Ravenloft game, I ran an all-lizardfolk campaign(though playing a kobold would've been acceptable as well). You having had bad GMs doesn't justify acting like a That Guy.
>>
>>49861208
I like it.
>>
>>49861175
So wrong, yet so self-assured of his intelligence.

I wish I could be so believe in myself as much as you can senpai.
>>
>>49861208
>I know it's bad writing
You don't know shit. I'm gonna steal
>>
>>49861267
I think most thatguys exist because of bad gms and bad gms exist because of thatguys.

Like an ouroboros made out of shit and autism, the cycle of TG's spirals out of control until there's nothing left.
>>
>>49861208
Why are they all male?
>>
>>49861297
Maybe you should try GMing for entitled shit sometime, you might have a change of attitude. Probably not, though, you're too self-centred.
>>
>>49861286
>>49861316
Thanks, and go nuts.

>>49861361
No idea, really. The tree is an enigma. I could probably bullshit some explanation about how it's an alien bio-tech cloning machine that crash-landed on the planet but eh.
>>
>>49861175
>He can't tell the difference between "I would like to be this" and "I must be this."
>>
>>49861423
Seems pretty arbitrary. Your player seems right to question that.
>>
>>49861432
If it doesn't rely on that race, then why are you throwing a fit when that race is not allowed? It's not like I throw these restrictions up at the last possible moment.
>>
>>49860432
Right? Meanwhile, another guy from another RP group who I sometimes drive home from the same store, would kick me at least a buck or two to cover gas , and he lived a full twenty minutes out of my way. Hell, that glorious fat fucker even covered my part of a late-night Denny's run once.
>>
>>49861434
Not really, it's like questioning why a specific artifact only works when handled by a virgin woman, and arguing over what defines a "virgin" and a "woman".

My setting defines them as "Their womb has not received the seed of a man"
>>
>>49861468
By that same token, why are you pitching a fit over me wanting to play a particular race?

Why does this particular race need to not exist anymore for your campaign to work and why does it only apply to this race and not others such as humans, halflings, or dwarves?
>>
>>49861553
Because finding players who aren't entitled shits makes for a better game.
>>
>>49861514

>Spoiler

Gotta love supernatural loopholes, don't you? Define "Woman."
>>
>>49856956
Did you read OPs post?
>>
>>49861208
The only part that bothers me is "physical age of 4", "don't age", and "blue hair"

Otherwise that's a fine concept
>>
File: Doesn't count!.png (58KB, 187x174px) Image search: [Google]
Doesn't count!.png
58KB, 187x174px
>>49861514
>>
File: 1334158433245.jpg (73KB, 720x598px) Image search: [Google]
1334158433245.jpg
73KB, 720x598px
>>49860669
I swear to god, I never laugh out loud when I read something on 4chan but this is expert pasta use
10/10 anon, 10/10
>>
>>49861588
A being that is expected to lay eggs
>>
>>49861626
Thanks
this thread just spoke to me
"paste this faggot"
>>
>>49861579
So you have no reason and the choice is entirely arbitrary?

I look forward to showing up to your game with my character and watching you pitch a fit before session 0 begins.

Oh wait, you're such a shitty GM you probably don't even host session 0.
>>
>>49861638

Consider that both the ovum and sperm cell are, scientifically speaking, eggs. You're going to have to clear that sentence up a bit. Define "lay." and while we're at it, what do you ean by "expected?"
>>
File: 1452825783108.jpg (70KB, 500x665px) Image search: [Google]
1452825783108.jpg
70KB, 500x665px
>>49858872
>>
File: 1475557915165.png (163KB, 330x369px) Image search: [Google]
1475557915165.png
163KB, 330x369px
>>49860883
>baiting this hard
>>
>>49861670
>So you have no reason and the choice is entirely arbitrary?
If everyone else wants to play a game about lizardfolk, I don't think it's at all arbitrary to ban elves and humans and other PHB races.

>I look forward to showing up to your game with my character and watching you pitch a fit before session 0 begins.
I look forward to telling you to fuck off.
>>
File: Rat problem.png (397KB, 1277x2069px) Image search: [Google]
Rat problem.png
397KB, 1277x2069px
>>49861152

Here's your answer.
>>
>>49859606

> Projecting

No one said you ahd to play a peasant. Just play a human for once so the DM doesn't have to create a kingdom / region for 200 different races. Most kingdoms should be predominatntly human. Exotic races should be the spice, not the main course.
>>
>First time GMing
>savage worlds
>he brings a -6 charisma character to the table

Please help wat do
>>
File: neckbeard.jpg (115KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
neckbeard.jpg
115KB, 1000x800px
>>49859220
> a bloo bloo I know he's telling the truth but he said it meanly so I'll respond with ad hominem.

>>49860493
Not an argument.

>>49858941
Not an argument.

>>49858979
Also not an argument.

>>49859006
Actually no, I do have a world planned out, and it's still up to me what is or is not in my world. Don't like it? PLAY WITH ANOTHER FUCKING DM.

>>49859010
>>49859018
Not arguments.

>>49859028
Except it's my setting, fuck-ass. Also the supplement books contain OPTIONS. That you MIGHT have depending on the setting.

>>49859035
In any setting worth playing in (Lord of the Rings for example).

>>49859057
Not an argument.

>>49859062
Nah, I don't mind non-core races. I just mind when they compose the majority of the party.

>>49859118
You're boring. The problem is with you and your inability to roleplay. This is why you can only play heroic fantasy that has a palette of 150 races for you to choose from to cover up the fact you can't make an interesting character to save your goddamn life.

>>49859179
Not an argument.

>>49859419
I don't do this, no one does this.

>>49859494
Go back to vidya then. You don't belong in RPGs are in them for the wrong reasons.

>>49859523
Thanks anon.

>>49860617
Not an argument.

>>49860628
Not an argument.

>>49860964
Not an argument.

>>49861716
Not an argument.

>>49860999
Nice trips, but not an argument.
>>
File: 1452806670271.jpg (134KB, 959x535px) Image search: [Google]
1452806670271.jpg
134KB, 959x535px
>>49862011
Virt gtfo
>>
File: 1426492123068.png (831KB, 882x940px) Image search: [Google]
1426492123068.png
831KB, 882x940px
>>49858872

This guy is right you know.

If your definition of "fun" and "interesting" is playing as some sort of "exotic race", you're likely creatively bankrupt.

If you can't make an interesting meal with meat and potatoes, you won't be making an interesting meal with some exotic spice thrown all over the table.
>>
File: UWotM8.png (450KB, 510x598px) Image search: [Google]
UWotM8.png
450KB, 510x598px
>>49862011
The trips were never supposed to be an argument
>>
>>49862029
>If you can't make an interesting meal with meat and potatoes, you won't be making an interesting meal with some exotic spice thrown all over the table

Using exotic spice doesn't mean you can't make good meat and potatoes, it means you want to eat something with some spice to it.
>>
File: hmm.gif (2KB, 168x228px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.gif
2KB, 168x228px
>>49858932
Now I kinda do

but hey, I always liked random damage tables and the such, and who's to say gangrene and leprosy wouldn't make good punishments for players who weren't strategic and got stabbed a bunch?

Of course, my systems are a bit more wargamey, and involve more than one character per player usually.
>>
>>49862011
half of those ARE arguments though. Sure, some are just "BAIT LOL", but some have actual thought put into them.
>>
File: RATED_B.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
RATED_B.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>49862011
No one is trying to argue with you, there's no point in arguing with someone this delusional.
>>
>>49861973
charisma doesn't do a whole lot in savage worlds.
>>
>>49862371
Correction, no one SHOULD ------try------ to argue with you
>>
File: 1468696302953.png (864KB, 700x693px) Image search: [Google]
1468696302953.png
864KB, 700x693px
>>49862011
>>49862011
>In any setting worth playing in (Lord of the Rings for example).

I think we get to the crux of the matter here. Your opinion is subjective and it appears the majority of this thread at least prefer alternatives to what you're saying. If you're GMing and your players like your style and think the restrictions make for a better game, go for it. Have some fucking fun dude. But I'd suggest to stop trying to proselytise people who don't like your ideas.
>>
>>49860951
But you're not meeting halfway. You're just throwing a tantrum.

Look, the first guy is a worthless shitrag, but you're only sliiightly better.
>>
>>49861973

Savage Worlds is completely broken. Don't worry about it. I had a -10 Charisma character RAW and the DM didn't give a fuck. Savage Worlds is one of those games where you get rewarded for being mentally ill and then forgetting about the mental illness when convenient.
>>
>>49860951
>setting doesn't like elves
>WAAAAH LET ME BE AN ELF
>lets the baby be an elf anyway, throws out all notes and have to think of entirely different plot hooks and ways to introduce the party to the world and its major players
>guards react realistically to an elf and people who would harbor them
>BUT DM THAT'S STUPID WHY CAN'T MY ELF JUST ETERNALLY FOOL EVERYONE INTO THINKING THEY'RE HUMAN?!

Anon you are that guy. The campaign never fell through, they just all decided to let you off easy by pretending it did.
>>
>>49860951
Did they find out because elves have some characteristics you didn't hide or because "HERP DIS ELF BECUZ IT WEAR HOOD" fuckery?

I once had a GM okay a hacking device that was pretty much a normal phone with altered software and the security on a building tried confiscating it because "it looked like it's a hacking phonie."
>>
>guy doesn't show up
>messages me 6 hours later and says he forgot
Didn't invite back.
>>
File: 1378038474887.jpg (38KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1378038474887.jpg
38KB, 500x667px
>>49863296
>>
>>49860371
OR the GM is running a setting that has different or fewer races? Jesus fucking christ.

>I'm going to show up with my character
Oh, so you're just a shit player then.
>>
>>49861514
There's interrogating the rules of the setting, and then there's interrogating why the DM made it work that way. I'm asking the latter.
>>
>GM tells player about a campaign and setting
>player shows up with a character already made, doesn't make any sense in the context of the setting
>"wah everyone else is wrong, bad GM!!!"

Consider gas.
>>
>>49863371
It was basically us being thrown into prison the second the GM described us walking into town.

We didn't even get a chance to, say, run away once we saw the guards walking up to us or anything, it was literally

>You walk into town and are immediately hassled by the guards, who proceed to rip off your hood and reveal your pointy ears. You're all then hauled to prison.
>I understand anon is but why are we being thrown in jail?
>Because you're all elf sympathizers, now shut up!

Almost verbatim.
>>
>>49861621
What is this from?
>>
>>49863510
>GM arbitrarily tells people what they can or can't play
>Blames the players when he can't provide a good reason.

Shit GM detected.
>>
>>49861208
there's an anime with that premise, a girl gets transported to another world where babies all are born from a tree and the fact that she can have babies normally is seen as weird there

might be twelve kingdoms?

fuck, it's going to bother me now
>>
>>49863538
>"hey guys we're playing a game set in middle earth"
>brings a dragonborn paladin

Do you see what I'm getting at? Or do you think anyone should be allowed to play anything regardless of setting?

I know at this point it's just bait but I want to see how this plays out.
>>
>>49863510
>DM tells us that we're going for a low magic campaign
>Decide to play a sorcerer who is played like a rogue
>Every fight involves magic, mages, and creatures that resist non-magical damage
>Gets mad because I'm the only one in the party capable of doing anything to the shit we're fighting.

Never again.
>>
>>49862011
Yes.
You've correctly identified that people laughing at a fool are not presenting logical arguments.

Next time, we'll work on the differences between a question and a statement.
We'll get you understanding human communication one of these days.
>>
>>49863561
Why would you run a game set in middle earth when the average mage would easily curb-stomp gandalf into the fucking dirt?

Dragonborn paladin is the least of your worries if you're going for consistency anon.
>>
File: HELLO CHOSEN UNDEAD.png (339KB, 410x518px) Image search: [Google]
HELLO CHOSEN UNDEAD.png
339KB, 410x518px
>>49863511
>you are all powerless when I narrate

Oh fuck me. Why does anyone think this is nothing but terrible?

My favorite (worst) instance of this went like this:
"GM, I will steal a cop car to bypass their security!"
>Okay, roll Larceny.
"Eh... okay. 3 successes, that's good, but where is that car?"
>Well, you successfully steal it from the police station and now every cop in the state is after you
"Wait, I stole it from where??"
>Well, where else are you going to find one?
>>
>>49863571
Now this is a valid complaint. This is a case of a GM giving setting information, then entirely ignoring his own mandate.

>>49863580
That's exactly the point! A game set in Middle Earth would obviously have certain restrictions and alterations compared to a standard high fantasy Forgotten Realms romp.
>>
>>49863561
>>49863538
You two are just arguing past each other at this point.

If you agree on a setting with the DM, then yes, it's a dick move to show up with something that doesn't fit.

If you decide on a setting without the players, then yes, it is a dick move to not try and work in what they want out of the game.

This is why a session 0 where everyone talks about what type of game and setting they want is important.
>>
>>49863538
The GM is well within his rights to make you start as a human commoner if that's the kind of game he plans on running. You're just an entitled piece of shit.
>>
>>49863580

> moving the goalposts

Just quit the game if you don't like the DM, anon. That's all there is to it. You're not entitled to anything else.
>>
>>49863615
Likewise, the player is entitled to leave if he doesn't feel like playing in the DM's game. The DM isn't entitled to having players.
>>
>>49863580
>Why would you run a game set in middle earth when the average mage would easily curb-stomp gandalf into the fucking dirt?
>Dragonborn paladin is the least of your worries if you're going for consistency anon.
>Hey guys, we're playing in Middle earth using the LoTR roleplaying game
>guy shows up with a Pathfinder dragonborn sheet

Consider this.
>>
>>49863665
>show up with a character idea of a dragonborn paladin
>DM announces he's going to run LOTR once we all arrive

Consider this
>>
File: duueeeegh.jpg (65KB, 411x412px) Image search: [Google]
duueeeegh.jpg
65KB, 411x412px
>>49862029
variety's the spice of life you daft cunt
>>
>>49863649
The DM is in fact entitled to players who don't bitch and whine and moan and waste everyone's time until they get their way, then continue to do so whenever something happens that they don't want to happen.

That's a toxic element to the game and will make for a shit campaign.

While I normally allow most things in a game making a trap by disallowing X race and seeing who bitches incessantly about it so I can boot the troublemakers beforehand is something I've seriously considered doing just to get rid of some elements like that.
>>
>Guy didn't show up to sessions twelve consecutive games in a row
>He only showed up to the first two
>Informed him that he was dropped for lack of attendance
Who was in the wrong here?
>>
File: 1475516455249.jpg (71KB, 500x321px) Image search: [Google]
1475516455249.jpg
71KB, 500x321px
>>49863693
>the facts say you're wrong
>if the facts were different, I would be right, therefore I am right
>>
>>49863693
That seems like a breakdown in communication.
>>
>>49863693
>show up with a character idea of a dragonborn paladin
>DM announces he's going to run LOTR once we all arrive
Sounds like you're going to have to walk, or roll up a new character because you're retarded to have assumed you were playing pathfinder without even asking.
>>
File: 1392411893746.jpg (71KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1392411893746.jpg
71KB, 500x500px
>DM putting PCs in jail at the start of a campaign

Is there are worse sin?
>>
>>49862011
Not an argument.
>>
>>49863716
>The DM is in fact entitled to players

No. He isn't. At no point in time can you declare you're running a game and have players spontaneously willing to play without discussion.

If I said I was running a game of FATAL, am I entitled to players? Have I been wronged in some way if nobody is willing to play without me making a concession like changing systems?

The game is ultimately a social contract that the players and GM must both agree to. The GM does not have to run a game he doesn't want to. The players don't have to play a game they don't want to.

The DM is not a god.
>>
>>49863535
Oglaf
>>
>>49863693
>don't have any idea what kind of game the GM is going to run
>still make a character in advance and insist on playing it

If that's how you roll, you shouldn't be surprised when you're told to make a new character after being told what the campaign is going to be about.
>>
>>49863716
I would just lowkey pretend to accept your shitty idea and then reveal halfway through that I was a member of that dead race the whole time.

I mean, chances are the whole dead race thing is going to crop up during game since you're making such a big deal out of it and what bigger kick to the dick would it be than for me to just so happen to be that extinct race so I could roleplay the shittiest explanation for why my race died in existence.

>So elf, how did your people die?
>They murder fucked each other so hard that they made a god of sex and violence who killed them all and ate their souls.
>How are you alive then
>I wore protection.
>>
>>49863751
Yes
>DM kills and ressurect PCs at the start of the campaign
>>
>>49863796
But why?
>>
>>49863665
Dragonborns aren't a core race in pathfinder.

Also, even the dumbest of THAT GUYS wouldn't waste their time building a character for a game they're not even playing.

Your whole post is stupid as fuck.
>>
>>49863741
That's my point. Both situations are a breakdown of communication, which is why talking is important, as there are many ways this situation can unfold

>>49863735
>you can't come up with a new hypothetical
>you have to use the one I made so I'm right

You're missing my point. My point is that either side can be in the wrong depending on how things play out. Neither the DM nor the players are automatically in the right.
>>
>>49863723
The player is at fault if he doesn't inform the GM when he's not going to make it to a session - and even then sometimes shit happens. Other than that, no-one is really at fault.
>>
>>49863811
Because fuck him, that's why.

Banning people for complaining about it and then making it the most generic story of all time?

He deserves to have his shit story derailed halfway through, most times it ends up being more interesting than the planned story anyways.
>>
>>49863743
Sounds like you might need new players because you decided you'd be playing Lotr without even asking.

See how this works? It's almost like communicating and discussing instead of deciding without talking about it is important.
>>
>>49863833
>Because I'm a That Guy, that's why.

FTFY.
>>
>>49863777
The DM is entitled to players, who if they stay, don't bitch. The players are free to leave if they want, but staying and bitching?

That just makes the game worse for everyone. It's just selfish. Discussion is fine but if someone starts holding the game to ransom, then that's a shitty move all round.
>>
>>49863783
Having a character idea is not the same making a character in advance

By the same token, the GM should not be surprised if the players inform him they don't want to play the game he decided on without them.
>>
From reading /tg/, you'd think that the hobby was nothing but an endless war between GMs and players, all only playing so that they can carefully wait to sucker punch the other.
>>
>>49863751
Starting the campaign in a tavern or around a campfire is just as bad
>>
>>49863796
>so I could roleplay the shittiest explanation for why my race died in existence.
Mark down -2 int and wis, please.
The brain tumour making your character think they're a member of a long dead race is only going to get terminally worse.
>>
File: 1371656572792.png (279KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1371656572792.png
279KB, 500x500px
>>49863809
>DM tells players to make characters
>kills them in scripted sequence
>gives players new characters he made and restarts the story
>>
>>49863888
It's mostly two guys with bad experiences going at each other's throats and then the rest of us trying to ignore them and failing when they get stupid with each other.
>>
>>49863796
>I would just lowkey pretend to accept your shitty idea and then reveal halfway through that I was a member of that dead race the whole time.
And then your retconned out of the fucking game.

Nigger, just how utterly stupid are you? Like, really.
>>
File: satin.jpg (13KB, 422x114px) Image search: [Google]
satin.jpg
13KB, 422x114px
>>49863902
>>kills them in scripted sequence
>>gives players new characters he made and restarts the story

there is no way in fucking hell there's something worse
>>
>>49863896
Sorry chief, it's happening.

Nothing you can do to stop it, I'm crashing the plot with no survivors.

Besides, I wrote down my race on my character sheet, it's not my fault you didn't read it before we started playing.
>>
File: The Spice King.jpg (39KB, 473x310px) Image search: [Google]
The Spice King.jpg
39KB, 473x310px
>>49862029
>Not acknowledging the superiority of spices.
I bet you can't even tell each individual spice used in a dish by smell alone either.
>>
>>49863923
That would only work if the players weren't interested in the new canon.
>>
>>49858482
Realism isn't the name of the game, internal consistency is.
>>
>>49863856
>Sounds like you might need new players because you decided you'd be playing Lotr without even asking.
That's wht I clearly label my campaigns as to what sort of theme and setting I'm making when advertising, and if someone objects to the setting strongly they can find a different game to play in or rather my friends beg me to run anything so I don't actually need to advertise in the first place

If I want to run LoTR in savage worlds then I'm not going to start opening a discussion on whether dragonborn is allowable and I'm not going to consider changing the game to pathinder because one guy is whining for it.
>>
>>49863932
Rule 0 exists for precisely this kind of situation. "Nope, didn't happen. Now get the fuck out of my house." And then hopefully everyone in the group spreads the word so all other GM's know there's a humongous Thay Guy loose.
>>
>>49863932
>Besides, I wrote down my race on my character sheet, it's not my fault you didn't read it before we started playing.
That's because that is a shadowrun character sheet and we're playing Edge of the Empire, you tard. You didn't even print off a PDF from Chummer for me.
>>
>>49863929
>kills them in scripted sequence
>gives players new characters he made and restarts the story
>Original PC's are now the BBEGs
>>
>>49863955
So because you couldn't be arsed to figure out what everyone else was playing before we started, suddenly I'm the bad guy here?

You started this by banning everyone who disagreed with you and my derail was the most interesting thing to happen during the entire campaign because it wasn't the most predictable shit possible.

I'm sorry you couldn't handle a little joke but I guess this is why I fuck with autistics like you in the first place.
>>
>>49863984
Are you brain-damaged?

Just because you rail-roaded us into a space station for reasons unknown doesn't make it star wars chief.
>>
>>49863995
You're the bad guy because you're going out of your way to ruin everyone else's(yes, that includes the other players) fun because you heard a concept that offended you, instead of doing something sensible like realizing that you're a huge asshole and killing yourself.
>>
>>49863951
Alright. I concede that you've knocked down the strawman.
>>
File: 36a.png (207KB, 680x310px) Image search: [Google]
36a.png
207KB, 680x310px
>>49863796
>>49863896
>>49863932
>>49863955
>>49863984
>>49863995
>>49864010
>>49864014
>>
>>49863995
Well, the intent behind banning some race was to flag the kind of troublemakers who would ditch whatever idea they had previously and argue about that banning just so they could hassle the GM, and apparently it flagged you pretty well, so it looks like it worked.
>>
>>49863995
I've never actually used the term narpfag before but I seriously can't believe anyone who has actually played would think writing down a banned race on your character sheet would fly on an online table or in an IRL game.

The former would just get banned in three clicks on IRC after being proved you're trolling the game and the latter you'd make yourself look like a petty fool in front of your friends.

Seriously, try actually playing instead of making shit up about how you "ruin campaigns by being a race the DM doesn't allow". It's more fun to actually play.
>>
>>49864014
>everyone's fun hinged on elves all being dead

If that's true, then why are they in the setting at all if nothing was to be done with them? Or does their fun end because your plot falls apart if there's one alive, and you kicked out an otherwise decent player just over that?
>>
>>49864054
>otherwise decent player
The same way FATAL is otherwise decent game except for having too many tables.
>>
>>49864014
I'm not the one banning people because they did the unpardonable sin of disagreeing with me.

If you're too much of a snowflake to accept that your premise is flawed then you deserve people like me coming in and doing a reality check on your bitch ass.

I mean, you didn't even ask us what we were playing or anything, you just said, "elves are all dead, you're in a village, what do" and then expected us to wander about until we found the railroad you wanted us to embark on.
>>
>>49864010
I'm sorry that you didn't get it when your tribe of Desert raiders got attacked by white armoured soldiers with energy weapons and kidnapped you onto huge wedge shaped ships.

I thought the Sith Lord with a lightsaber would have tipped you off.
>>
>>49864044
Apparently it didn't otherwise my plan wouldn't have worked so well :^)
>>
>>49864104
Why are you making up details?
>>
>>49864104
>I'm not the one banning people because they did the unpardonable sin of disagreeing with me.
You're not getting banned for disagreeing with anyone. You're getting banned for disagreeing, being told no, then doing it anyway and acting like a huge asshole about it.
>>
>>49864104
look at this faggot
He still thinks he's in the right
>>
>>49864104
>I mean, you didn't even ask us what we were playing or anything, you just said, "elves are all dead, you're in a village, what do" and then expected us to wander about until we found the railroad you wanted us to embark on.
I told you that ELLLS are all dead. Everyone only speaks with ARRRS because this is feudal Japan!
>>
>>49864106
If this is Star Wars, why do pointy-eared humanoids not exist? And you can't tell me that in all of the universe there's no not!elf race.
>>
>>49864053
>It's more fun to actually play.

Shows how much you know. There's nothing more satisfying than watching a shitty GM sputter and sweat because you derailed the campaign by not being a cog in the machine.
>>
>>49864095
Do you not understand the concept of a hypothetical situation?

You don't get to make the assumption that they're a bad player or that the rest of the group is going to suck your ick in thanks. All things else being neutral, if he handles it well, and you spreg out over your plot, it's entirely possible other people would side with him.

Honestly, you need to stop assuming so much about this scenario. It's entirely possible the DM could end up the That Guy here.
>>
>>49862011
(You)
>>
>>49864120
The whole thing that started it was the shitty GM telling everyone what they couldn't play and then banning anyone who raised a fit over it.
>>
>>49864177
see, a normal person would just shrug and find another game to play instead of sperging out to no end
>>
>>49864116
>why are you making up details?
>he asks, after mentally crafting a scenario were he's right

Gee, it's almost like this is a pretend scenario that can have any number of variables.
>>
>>49862316
>more than one character per player
Okay this is kinda neat. Anyone else do this?
>>
>>49864189
And a normal GM would make sure everyone actually wanted to play a setting before raging when people say they'd rather play something else.
>>
>>49864142
They're humans with pointy ears. No difference between them and human stats.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Elfish_humanoid
>>49864143
Ok, bud. I'm sure your trail of wrecked campaigns is long and wide because GMs were too nice to actually kick you to the kerb and tried to talk to you like a human being instead of realising you're just there to ruin games. Great job enjoying yourself.
>>
>>49864204
Only in Only War and that second character is always just the main PC's sidekick or battlebuddy
>>
>>49864226
>Hey guys we're gonna play this setting
>We don't want that setting
>ok, bye
How it should have happened
>>
>>49864191
I don't understand how anyone can carry on a discussion like this, but apparently it's par for the course on /tg/.

>hypothetical scenario A in which I'm right!
>oh yeah? Well hypothetical scenario A is actually hypothetical scenario B where I'M right!

What? What, what, what? Look, I'm not the person who originally posted that idea to ban races, but I would like to understand where you are coming from. Are you saying that of a DM made a setting in which certain races were unplayable, you would go out of your way to blow up that setting however possible, no matter what reasons the GM had for that?
>>
>ITT: People try to make up scenarios to make players/GMs who disagree with them seem wrong 100% of the time

For fucks sake people. A DM can be a tyrant about banning shit. A player can be a birch about shit being banned. Stop pretending like these are somehow impossible scenarios that have never happened to anyone in the history of tabletop gaming.
>>
>>49863945
No one I know would put up with your bullshit.
>>
>>49863987
realtalk I wouldn't even be mad, that's kinda neat
>>
>>49864172
Nigger, there is no way anyone would side with you. There is no assumptions here. YOU. ARE. A BAD. PLAYER.

Full stop. Now go tantrum somewhere else.
>>
>>49864261
No, I'm no even that other guy. I'm simply trying to point out that he's being dishonest in his arguments by making up 'facts' about the situation in his favor.

Personally, if I were to come to a game,he mind to play a dragonborn Saladin only to be informed that it's lord of the rings, then I would alter the concept to fit if I was really set on it.

For that example, they could be a knight wearing armor stylized to look like a dragon in order to intimidate opponents. Maybe coat a sword in oil for a flaming blade for extra thematics.

Similarly, if I wanted to be a race that ended up being extinct, I would go for a historian that admires their culture.
>>
>>49864177
Main guy you're arguing with here (though there's about 3 different others).

While the much earlier people up at >>49860669
are shitty GMs, putting bait out just to catch bitchy people is fair game and is in no way indicative of bad GMing.

You wouldn't know that the GM is 'shit and autistically banning people' unless you take the bait to begin with. There may be good reasons for there to be no drow; they may simply nor exist, for example. There may be no underdark.

Trying to claim "any single declaration made by the GM is grounds to try to ruin the game" is a pretty poor act and I doubt any player would agree with it.
>>
>>49864323
>There is no assumptions here

You've already made one: that you're talking to a single person
>>
>>49864334
I thought we were having a rapport, making up more and more ridiculouly contrived scenarios until any onlooker could burst out laughing thinking of feudal Japan extinct elves living with tusken raiders who got kidnapped by sith lords.

I was having fun making shit up, at least - you mean you were actually trying to make a point instead of parody?
>>
File: drevil.jpg (91KB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
drevil.jpg
91KB, 1920x816px
>>49863751
I don't see the problem, as long as it's interesting.

>Not wanting to spend a couple of sessions getting to know the boys in the prison yard, smuggling drugs to trade for favours, and becoming the prison kingpin before breaking out.
>>
>>49864387
No, I just wanted to settle the debate over who was that guy so people would focus more on ideas for world with those restrictions and ways to get around them without straight up lying.
>>
>>49863693
You should never show up to a first session with a character already made. The first session is for deciding feel and setting. Further, if you make a character without collaborating with other players to ensure a well made party, you're shit.
>>
>>49863856
Except you can't really compare the role of the player to the role of the GM. The GM ultimately gets final say I what gets played because he's running the game; don't like it, leave. He's not a shitty GM because he's running something you don't like.
>>
>>49864437
Did you reply to the wrong post? I said it was a character idea, and that the GM was the one who made a setting without collaborating.
>>
>>49864388
It's fine if the DM checks with the players first. A reason a lot of bad DMs do this is so they can force the players sit and listen to him talking about stuff while they can't move anywhere in the game or do anything.
>>
>>49864434
>ideas for world with those restrictions and ways to get around them without straight up lying
I actually advocate straight up asking your players to make parts of the setting themselves. But I'm spoilt as I have a good selection of players that I trust not to be dicks and will make something cool rather than a minmaxed bastard thing.

If you're unsure of your players rooting out That Guys who will argue incessantly is an important step for a healthy campaign.
>>
File: patchouli disgust_1.png (81KB, 198x205px) Image search: [Google]
patchouli disgust_1.png
81KB, 198x205px
>>49858872

>Some janitor actually deleted this post because a bunch of fags were getting triggered by it

Seriously? Is this how far /tg/ has fallen? Do we need to form some safe spaces around here or something?
>>
>>49864495
Well, I more wanted to discuss that for some fun world building and character ideas

Probably a bit late to derail though
>>
>>49864487
That's fair.
>>
So just so we're all well and clear, let's set down some basic guidelines. Communication between players and the GM is important both before and during a game so nothing sneaks up on anyone. If one side or the other wants something and the other side disagrees, then both sides should examine wherher or not they really need to hang onto that, or whether something can be modified to satisfy everyone. Try not to say no for the sake of saying no.
>>
>>49864519
Antagonism is a poor way to derail. Gotta be more obvious - simply asking "how would you rig a world without elves" would probably have worked better.
>>
>>49864548
Fair enough. I'll keep that in mind.
>>
File: tumblr_nmwmq2Nkzg1skob0co1_1280.jpg (368KB, 1280x734px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmwmq2Nkzg1skob0co1_1280.jpg
368KB, 1280x734px
>>49861884
Quite a good read. 10/10 keks
Almost tempted to do something similiar.
>>
>>49864474
I replied to the correct post: you're just retarded.
>>
>>49863600
EVen more annoying when it's the DM just arbitrarily deciding you don't do something, even if it's reasonably in-character to do it.

>Pathfinder game
>DM using "Armor as DR instead of AC" rules
>Literally every single enemy we fight has homebrew "Ravager" weapons
>Basically they just ignore DR
>Did I mention literally every single foe we came across had these, yet we were unable to find them in shops because apparently they're "illegal."
>Town guards, random law-abiding NPCs, literally everyone has these weapons except us.
>After a fight, I decide to grab a Ravager Earthbreaker off an enemy's corpse because we're literally only winning fights because spellcasters are OP.
>"No you don't."
>I ask why I can't, assuming there's a good reason.
>Apparently no, I just don't take it. They don't violently explode when someone else touches it, disintegrate in sunlight, or have any magical enchantments that prevent me from taking it.
>I'm, just not allowed to pick it up because the DM said so.

Eventually we got wiped because, again, armor was literally useless in the game and we only had one spellcaster who ate 20 Ravager Arrows during a surprise round because the DM was getting sick of his "actually letting us win encounters" shit.

He quickly stopped being our DM.
>>
>>49864819
I don't understand how he thought that was reasonable.
>>
>>49863751
Yes

>DM putting PCs in jail in the middle of the campaign, and disarming them of all the equipment they needed to function.
>the guards that captured and jailed them are at least 5 levels below us and wouldn't even be a noteworthy stain on our shoes, except the DM was narrating, so we were powerless to do anything to stop them
>Now you're in a prison arena for everyone else's entertainment
>Here's a random encounter you guys would normally find challenging at your level. Also, your still unarmed, unarmored, and you weren't given replacements at all.
>How're you guys liking my low-magic setting by the way?

I may be exaggerating slightly.
>>
>>49864285
>Your PCs were attacked by bodysnatchers, and now they're using your power and good standing to perform their dastardly plans.
>You were thrown into soulless shells, only because your souls had to go somewhere.
>Your souls retain a bit of your power, but you won't be whole again until you defeat the bodysnatchers in your real bodies and take them back.

I'd play a campaign like that desu.
>>
>>49864886
He wasn't a very smart man.

It wasn't the only time he did some dumb homebrew shit just to screw us over, but that was the most blatant. The other ones were just minor shit like ruling electric attacks in the rain or underwater will auto-crit it's target and everyone within 50 feet of the attacker(including the attacker himself), and any square the attack passes through because "water is conductive", followed by us fighting 2 Lightning-immune Lightning Elementals in a rainstorm. Our Wizard had Control Weather prepared, so this wasn't as big a deal as it sounded and we took them down fairly easily.
>>
File: Ruined Village.png (664KB, 1035x517px) Image search: [Google]
Ruined Village.png
664KB, 1035x517px
>>49864898
I recently began a campaign for a group. it started off in a similar sense to this. As in, all expensives on them were stolen. I had started them off at level 2 with one +1 magic weapon each with some minor effects pertaining to their classes, and a goal to head somewhere. But their path was impeded because the lodge they were staying in had fallen target to some recent bandit attack involving explosions. Now I didnt make the mistake of forcing them to fight without any gear or experience (Except a cougar found gnawing at one of the others). The game had started with them awaking around some rubble, one of them had a boot mark on their face to indicate someone tampering with their unconscious bodies, and a town for them to temporarily stop at to get gear that you would normally start with in an acceptable lv 2 game. Afterwards theyd take up arms and find out who took their things, retrieve them, and in the end "earning" what was technically already owned by their characters but rewarded to the players.

When it came to the adventure though they ended up using the townspeople
>asking for info on the bandits
>Begun solving the mystery
>got their belongings back + some extra loot
> Given the choice to continue helping the small town and earn some more XP and maybe some cred around those parts (L/G)
[Spoiler]>Let the bandits blow the dam and flood the town (C/N)
> kept on with their original goal
> Did I mention the town was on an old riverbed under a dam?[Spoiler]
>>
>>49865256
Spoiler>
I cant use spoilers
>>
>>49864502
I agree, I want to see what the post was
>>
>>49864502
Don't get mad because your retarded opinion got deleted for being obvious bait.
>>
>>49865431
Someone saying that playing non-human, non-core races was being a special snowflake.
>>
>>49864545
Hey! Stop being reasonable on 4chan.
>>
>>49863951
You do fucking know dragonborn do not exist in pathfinder in any capacity?
>>
>>49866048
You do realize they are seperate points and if he wants to use pathfinder and have dragonborn he can
>>
>>49866048
Just remember, Elephants are banned in Pathfinder Society play
>>
Hey /tg/ am I "that guy"?

>5e adventurers league
>I'm playing a LG cleric of helm
>been playing for a while, I'm level 4, at this point in the campaign it's tier one, so levels 1 - 4 are legal.
>new guy shows up to table
>level one barbarian
>we need to get into a castle with a river entrance
>we pay a fisherman to get us close to the castle so we can jump in the river and swim up
>fisherman gets us close then decides not to get any further
>okie dokie thanks dude
>the party starts jumping into the river
>barbarian says fuck that let's throw the captain into the river and steal the boat and just sail right in
>I say very clearly don't do that, dude, we had an agreement and fisherman held up his end
>we argue about it and he's not giving in
> I tell him if he does this I will physically try to stop him
>he says some come at me bro shit about being an 8ft tall barbarian
>I warn him I'm level 4
>he does it anyways, tosses the captain into the river
>oh fuck here we go
>cast guiding bolt
>crit
>Oops
>he insta dies
>shit
Did I fuck up
>>
I'm in my first game of D&D, and the DM dropped a guy, a friend of his, for talking too much. It seemed a little harsh, but admittedly he did have a habit for never dropping character in a very informal game, but moreso would always immediately respond to anything the GM said with something his character was doing, or his reaction to something. Maybe if he was the leader it'd be different, but his character was a battle priest of some vague sort who stumbled on the group a couple sessions in, and his ideology was both at clash with and way more intense than ours.

I guess it's just a case of a player taking it way more seriously than the rest of us, who are really just playing for fun and for a few of us to learn how to play, without worrying as much about stellar roleplaying.
>>
>>49858932
I like it when people other than my character die of a gangrenous wound. 'swhy I like Exalted, it's cool that most people have to follow the shitty rules of reality and you, specifically, don't.
>>
>>49866219
well, you probably should have done a grapple check or something instead, but seems in character.
>>
>>49866584
> Wizard grappling an 8ft monstrosity
That makes me laugh
>>
>>49866651
>cleric
>wizard
????
>>
>>49866219
DM should've invalidated the crit. You did nothing wrong.
>>
>>49866349
That sounds harsh to drop a guy after one session for just being really into the game and too talkative.
>>
>>49867291
It sort of was, but he wouldn't give others the chance to speak first, and would act towards his character's interests, and the team's second.

I get that it was a bit harsh, but he was making it a lot less fun for us, and the GM has been going through some tough stuff, so his fuse might also be short.
>>
>>49859626
>the GM is just a CPU for the players to manipulate, he shouldn't get any say in anything
Come on. Running games isn't a charity case. Is it so hard to meet me in the middle on setting stuff?

I don't usually veto characters but if I was running a humans only game, and expressly said I was running a humans only game, why would you bring a non-human? What drives you to be so contrarian? We both know most players just use race as an excuse to play a tired 2D stereotype instead of develop an actual character (or go overboard trying to subvert that), so what does doing this actually add to the game?
>>
>>49867353
I completely understand why it's an issue, it just sounds like the kind of thing someone should get a second chance on.
>>
File: Ezio_full_shot_1(1).jpg (86KB, 797x1038px) Image search: [Google]
Ezio_full_shot_1(1).jpg
86KB, 797x1038px
>>49860669
>There are no ninjas in Europe.

Che cosa, amico?
>>
>>49867537
He could change his mind later, for all I know. It could have been a recurring problem with him. I'm just glad everything the GM says isn't immediately followed by a guy in an almost tolerable fake accent talking about how his god is showing the way and glory to it.

Meanwhile, slightly senile wizard Boomhauer and almost-Guts are contemplating the possibility of using a corpse like a puppet to lure some baddies in.
>>
>>49863600

I had this kind of stupid shit happen in one particular game of pathfinder where the DM was ripping off the setting wholesale from World of Warcraft, and the poor stupid bastard still hasn't realized it for 3 years("It's not that similar").

Anyway, this one player, who was honestly a whiny bitch, decided that everyone was taking to long to rearm and relax in a town the DM decided to grace us with amid at least 1 crashed airship and an encounter with monsters i designed explicitly on his instructions to resemble those warrior insects from starship troopers. This retarded player decided to play the flute, and upon crit failing his performance check in the town square he decided that he would take a sanity check of his own volition. It went like this from there.

>Retard: "My character runs up and down the streets crying to himself and ranting about his failures in life."
>GM:"You're drawing a great deal of attention."
>Me:"I want to try and chase him down to wrangle his tard fit."
>Roll a shitty dex check to try and tard wrangle.
>GM:"You fail to catch him."
>Me(just trying to have fun with it at this point):"I just keep chasing him until he collapses from exhaustion then. I scream too in an effort to appeal to his sensibilities."
>GM is visibly annoyed
>GM then tells us how two guards stroll up, tell us we're "disturbing the peace" and then just toss us in jail.
>Retard:"As the guards walk away from the cell door, I attempt to use my prehensile tongue to pick-pocket the key to the cell."
>GM just ignores us and goes to other players.

When the rest of the party decided to break us out of jail, the GM looked like he was ready to explode. Probably not as unwarranted as a stories of shittier GMs, honestly, but still audacious.
>>
>>49865473

Since we're in the business of reporting people for having opinions that disagree with our own, make sure you report this retard, people.
>>
>>49863702
That cat looks quite upset.
>>
File: 1464857889206.jpg (81KB, 552x532px) Image search: [Google]
1464857889206.jpg
81KB, 552x532px
>>49858016
>he was also one of those faggots who thought he knew everything about every style of historical martial arts ever and would constantly bitch that half the thing anyone else in the game did was unrealistic and wouldn't work

I had a GM like that but with medieval weaponry.
Would give an essay about what weapon you picked and complained that you were either using it or calling it wrong, to the point of mocking simple sword holding gestures you would do.
>>
>>49861152
One of the most memorable games I ever played was a community project. 25 players, 20 of us commoners, 5 experts. 20 humans, 5 non-human.

Settlers on the way to a new world where a storm took our ship and left us wrecked against a tropical island. Most of is was discussion of downtime activites, managing resources and time over the course of each week with two weekly excursions for 4-6 players to undertake.

For example,some of us were trying to swim out to the shipwreck and try to salvage any supplies, got some goods and the Captains Rapier which only the Half-Elf could use. A few of us trying to hunt the boar we had seen around the edges of camp, turned out there were two and a couple of us nearly died.
Third excursion was us investigating some ruins we found that discovered we weren't alone on the island. Eventually we discover that further along the coast, another group of survivors have set up camp, they were lacking in manpower and supplies but had a mostly functional repaired ship, we had the manpower and supplies but had to fight out way past the hostile lizardfolk natives to get to them.

I imagine a similar campaign could easily be reworked for a party of 5-6 with NPC's filling up the rest of the folk, and replacing dead player characters.
>>
Why is it that every thread turns into "Muh retardation" and "That there is a retard".

Why is it so hard to hold a discussion.........
>>
>>49863467
>implying that anon isn't correct
You sound like a terrible player tbqh
>>
>>49869189

It's sometimes hard for a variation of a form to not simple become a replicate of the form maybe.

Anyway, here's a story.

>Player was actually mentally handicapped.
>Honestly like sub-80 IQ.
>No joke.

Wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't everything that is wrong with rpg at the same time.

>Played primarily female lesbian characters and loved forcing the DM to roleplay lesbian sexy times.
>Hated working as a team...or at least just didn't care about working as a team.
>Made characters based on his WoW "toons".
>Childishly edgy bullshit on the levels of sephiroth goku the stampede otherwise.
>Spoke at least half in memes and pop culture references that lacked any sense of humor and half in tard monotone.
>In character speech and out of character speech was hard to differentiate between because his character had no personality traits that made them differ from him.
>Fell asleep in the middle of session if his character wasn't being specifically addressed by the GM.

To keep on topic, we switched GMs from a tolerant to a less-than-tolerant person for a game, and quietly just told him that he was not invited for the next game. He was never invited for any subsequent ones either.
>>
>>49863751
>>49863895
As a GM, I started the last campaign I mastered like both of these. PCs rounded up in a tavern's upstairs room, repurposed as a temporary jail.
The jailers were apologetic and polite, but explain why they had to do it, due to threats upon the village, and that things would clear up by nightfall. Until then, drinks were on them. By the end of the scenario, the PCs considered the leader of the mercenary group that locked them up a friend.
>>
>>49859626
Very entitled, the little bitch is.
>>
>>49859626

>The GM doesn't have the right to tell me no in his own game!

Modern /tg/ everyone
>>
>>49869891
It's true. I've met plenty of people outside of /tg/ that are like this too.
>>
>>49866048
NOW DO YOU GET WHY SOMEONE WOULD BE SO MAD AT BRINGING A DRAGONBORN PATHFINDER SHEET TO AN LOTR SYSTEM GAME SET IN MIDDLE EARTH
>>
>>49866219
Unlike the other two anons, I'm going to say yes, you did.

As one anon said grapple was a better first move than casting a potentially fatal spell.

I don't know what system of D&D you were using but subdual damage or something was something worth exploring with the DM before a potentially fatal spell too.

Even if you were out of melee range it's not like you had to attack the barbarian in like the next three seconds or he was otherwise going to rip the head off the fisherman. You had time so that you and other party members could have climbed back on boat and overwhelmed barbarian safely.

But more than that, I don't think Helm would say, "Man thrown in river. Use of lethal force authorised." That's not a proportional response. You cocked up by murdering a guy who threw a man more or less harmlessly into a river the rest of your party was already standing in. Even Judge Dredd has sentences other than death.

You threatened the guy when you said you were more powerful and then you used lethal force with fatal results. In the real world that's not manslaughter, unlawful killing, justifiable homicide, negligent homicide or self-defense. You've demonstrated malice aforethought so the resulting death is murder, premeditated murder, first degree murder, whatever your country calls it.

In your story barbarian player comes across as being a dick, and stereotypically barbarians are guys who kept their words even to so called civilised people who are untrustworth scum so maybe it was bad roleplay, but you had other in-game options.
>>
>>49866219
>barbarian steals ship
>you *murder* the barbarian

Yeah. You were in the wrong. Both. But you slightly more
>>
>>49866651
>hold person
Hahahahaha
>>
>>49856911

Why are you not keeping better track of this shit as DM from the word go?
>>
>>49869852
That's cool but why did you put the PCs in jail?
>>
>>49859191

Also it's frequently true that "realism" is actually code for "the stuff I like is awesome and the stuff you like is rubbish." You can see this for guys who like martials over casters:

>Magic is unrealistic and gamebreaking and should be unable to do anything at all interesting!

Or who like casters over martials:

>If you're not a caster then everything you do should be totally mundane and realistic even when we're at a level where fighting fifteen foot tall giants in full plate armor is considered routine, but casters have magic and we ain't gotta explain shit.
>>
>>49861175
>le plinkett test meme bad movie man
>>
>>49863932
>Nothing you can do to stop it, I'm crashing the plot with no survivors

you merely adopted the plot, I was born with it, wrote it

the fire rises

(at this point I take a lighter to his sheet)
>>
>>49864142
Because the only good Chiss was Thrawn you massive knob and from having analyzed your art I can work out a) you ain't playing Thrawn and b) I can't outflank you because you already have a Star Destroyer up your ass
>>
>>49864323
>There is no assumptions here. YOU. ARE. A BAD. PLAYER.

There is no assumptions here. YOU. ARE. A. BAD. GM.

and I am the hero your game needs but does not deserve

the hooded pointy ears in the night

where core races are banned I will be

I am... the dark knight 3/fighter 2/rogue 1
>>
>>49856911
Dropped a guy who would rather play video games with his internet boyfriend than join the game at the previously agreed time. Wasn't much of a loss, because he was also a powergaming That Guy.
>>
>>49870474

An average Guiding Bolt would not have been fatal to even a level 1 Barbarian. Barbarian 1 gets average HP of about 14 (depending on CON score), Guiding Bolt deals an average of 14 damage, and Barbarian 1 won't die instantly unless he's knocked down to -14 HP. Without the crit, it's actually impossible to kill him with a single bolt. With the crit, it's not even that surprising. So, basically, we're talking about a guy using a stun baton to subdue a violent offender who was well warned in advance that physical force would be used if he actually followed through with attempted theft of a man's livelihood, and then accidentally killed the offender. The killer here is at worst looking at manslaughter charges.
>>
>>49860628
Insisting on playing humans only in a fantasy setting is inane, anyway. "Humans" in any fantasy games are not actually human, but fantasy creatures that look like homines sapientes.
>>
>>49871546
Bingo. Whining that he should have grappled the super-strong guy is fucking retarded.

The most important thing, was he WAS warned. He decided to do it anyway.
>>
>>49871565
SSSSSSSHUT UUUUUUUUUUUP HFY HFY HFY HFY YOU SPESHUL SNOWFLAKE ACKNOWLEDGE MY SUPERIORITY, NOT AN ARGUMENT-SPEWING SLACKJAWED CRETIIIIIIN!

t. master baiter
>>
>>49866219
No, I think it's entirely warranted. He was being retarded, seemingly for no reason, and you gave him very fair warning, acting entirely within character. There is no scenario here that would've been less disruptive.

You did good.
>>
>>49870614
He gave him very fair warning.
>>
>>49860342
So your saying it's unreasonable for enemies to attack a non-armored caster or lightly armored rogue over a warrior wearing full plate armor?
>>
>>49871277
Boo! No monk? Get >>>/out/
>>
>>49872453
>Warning someone before doing them harm justifies murder
Ok.jpg
>>
>>49872844
As one guy said, its at worst manslaughter, just like a guy dying from a tazer.

It happens, and while the guy won't get off scott free, it does lead to the possibility of a court room scenario where he has to defend himself against a jury.
>>
>>49871221

Not your sheet, not your property. Hope you enjoy having the shit kicked out of you.
>>
>>49872844

When they're breaking the law, it really does.
>>
>>49860951
You're that guy
>>
>>49861208
That's actually really cool anon, consider the idea stolen.
>>
>>49873243

>Internet tough guys on /tg/

Makes me laff every time
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.