[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Vampire Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 330
Thread images: 46

File: DIOOOOO.png (416KB, 660x423px) Image search: [Google]
DIOOOOO.png
416KB, 660x423px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Give me the best vampire scenes from your campaign, /5eg/.
>>
Is dipping fighter as a war cleric worth it? How far should I go, and at what levels?
>>
>>49809331
Into fighter? Probably not. If you manage the stats for it, dipping two into paladin to get Divine Smite would be decent, since you can go all cleric from there and have a ton of spell slots to work with.
>>
>>49809044
I was looking at that one. Might be useful.

>>49809154
I'm kind of wary against dex saving throw spells, even if they're cantrips.
>>
>>49809183
kek
>>
Hey guys, i'm running a 5e game for some friends. I was wondering if anyone had examples of how to string sessions/adventures into a campaign? So if I have a plan for the campaign, how do I make all of the adventures serve that?
>>
What are some good map making sites/programs to use for creating maps to use with roll20?

I'd rather make my own stuff and import it than pay 200 shekels for a fucking house tile.
>>
>>49809560
I don't know about making small scale maps, but I use Inkarnate to make world maps. It's a useful tool.
>>
>>49809183
Any homebrew that rebalance magic?
Because some magic are trap option.
>>
>>49809836
for example?
>>
>>49809845
Not him but Witch Bolt is all kinds of ass.
>>
>>49809845
Every Cantrip that isn't Eldritch Blast?
>>
>repeater crossbows existed as early as 180 AD
>all crossbows have loading downside

I get why it is for balance, but basically requiring Crossbow Expert to use them has always seemed dumb.
>>
>>49809986
The repeating crossbow wasn't a effective weapon at all though, It couldn't even piece thick clothing.
>>
>>49809986
Rogues don't need crossbow expert to use them if they don't plan on double-firing. If they get crossbow expert, it makes for an effective way to get two chances of sneak attacks at range.
>>
>>49809836
Only options for becoming a trap is True Polymorph.
>>
>>49810041
My thought was on Halfling/Gnome Fighter/Ranger that want a decent ranged weapon, especially Fighter if they want to be up close and personal.

>>49810017
Hand crossbows literally weren't a thing until way way later and would have to be even lighter and less powerful than a repeater, if you want to get into that kind of argument.
>>
>>49810041
>it makes for an effective way to get two chances of sneak attacks at range.
I thought under no circumstances can you make more than one sneak attack per round.
>>
>>49810069
>Hand crossbows literally weren't a thing until way way later and would have to be even lighter and less powerful than a repeater, if you want to get into that kind of argument.
And until now they were exotic weapons made by drow, and they are still represented with lower damage.
Do you really want a 1d4 non loading crossbow?
>>
>>49810058
I kek'd.
>>
>>49810071
If you miss you dont get a single sneak attack. With two attacks you have two chances to hit, but yes, only one sneak attack.
>>
>>49810071
Once per turn, you can get 2 per round via reactions in several ways.
>>
File: wow.png (187KB, 361x691px) Image search: [Google]
wow.png
187KB, 361x691px
>people actually approach technology in D&D as if it's some kind of alt history game
>>
>>49810058
Something like Disguise Self would be useful for low level traps.
>>
>>49810080
Not my point, honestly. I just wish for better ranged options for Small races. Obviously it should be more expensive, but that's it.
>>
>>49810071
That's wrong.

You can make several, around 3-5 at most sneak attacks per round..
>>
>>49810071
You can't, but most rogues I've seen duel wield just to have two chances to hit, so if you miss the 1st attack you can make a second. It competes with their bonus action shenanigans, but sometimes you need to drop an asshole.
>>
>>49810112
Guess >>49810084 was wrong as well then
>>
Which class should I for my next solo? Paladin or druid? And Why should I just make solid snake, tiefling rogue x fighter x
>>
>>49810112
>Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe’s distraction. Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.

>Once per turn
>>
>>49810125
That other post was right.

Action + bonus action to make 2 attacks will average more sneak attacks than action to attack, though only one sneak attack at most.
>>
>>49810134
>once per turn
>not specifically your turn only

Look at cleric's divine strike. It only triggers on your turn, once a turn.

>>49810129
figher5 or fighter7 or fighter 11 / rogue 15 / 13 / 9 would be best for spoiler.
Or barfuckingbarian5.
>>
>>49810134
If you're able to hit the enemy on their turn you can sneak attack as well, like when you get an opportunity attack.
>>
What monsters would you say exists along a haunted coast?
>>
>>49810112
You only get 1 reaction, max 2 sneak attacks per round
>>
>>49810180
The spirits of the sailors from the shipwrecks along the coast.
>>
>>49810134
Yeah, per turn.
It's been confirmed that this means you can trigger it on your turn, and if you use your reaction to attack during someone else's turn you trigger it again.
Turn =/= round
>>
>>49810180
Ghost somalians
>>
>>49810097
Remember, even if someone determines Disguise Self is an illusion, they still can't see through it.
>>
>>49810180
Gotta have some fucked up sea creatures, maybe an Aboleth or a big blue whale zombie
>>
I believe by RAW 'blindness' from being inside a field of the 'darkness' spell stacks with 'unseen attacker' bonuses.

But that's kind of odd, isn't it?

A fighter attacking a fighter inside the darkness will have advantage (disadvantage against unseen target, advantage because attacker is unseen, advantage because target is effectively 'blind'). But that sounds kind of stupid, really.

Unless I'm wrong in the first place, shouldn't 'blindness' disadvantage not stack with unseen attack bonuses?
>>
>>49810306
Advantage and Disadvantage do not stack, they cancel each other out.
>>
I'm already a 4th level EK, I'm thinking of riding it out to 8 for the ASI, then multiclassing into wizard for more spells/slots. Is it worth it? Most of my damage is coming from green-flame blade, rather than my attacks anyway, right?
>>
>>49810317
>two instances of advantage
>one instance of disadvantage

How does one instance of disadvantage cancel out two instances of advantage?
>>
>>49810333
Doesn't work like that unless you use a variant rule about stacking advantage/disadvantage. You can't gain multiple advantages RAW, you either have it or you don't. And one source of disadvantage cancels out all sources of advantage, and vice versa.

So unless your opponent can see in magical darkness, if you and he are fighting each other in that field you both are using unmodified attacks.
>>
>>49810333
No matter how many sources grant it, advantage or disadvantage is only applied once per roll. So, having a billion sources of advantage, and one source of disadvantage, results in a tie, negating both..
>>
>>49810330
Level 7 is a good jump-off point if you focus on using GFB and BB. you can keep levelling if you want other features like an ASI badly (though personally I wouldn't if dexterity is already 20, assuming you actually picked dexterity as main stat).

Recommendable multiclasses would include -
Rogue is really kind of great (for damage). Skills and defence abilities and AT can give you even more spell slots.
Monk (for stuns)
Warlock (For agonizing blast and more spell slots) ... If you have charisma.

Wizard is okay-ish. You'll still have to level wizard to 5 to get level 3 spells such as haste, and it has a d6 hitdie. However, stuff like portent is nice.

Barbarian is an oddly applicable option if you focus on strength, but you have to manage rages as it'll temporarily stop you from casting.

Paladin could work if you have good charisma, for some of the team-helping abilities and healing. Probably no charisma, though.

Bard is a good alternative to wizard if you have charisma. You probably don't, though.
>>
File: 1475518351083.jpg (40KB, 501x377px) Image search: [Google]
1475518351083.jpg
40KB, 501x377px
Any spell that transforms a target into a mindless servant indefinitely?
>>
>>49810348
>>49810341
So it's a perfectly sensible option for a recklessly attacking barbarian to lie down at the end of his turns so that ranged attacks have a harder time hitting him, yet melee attacks don't get any bonus? Jeez.
Of course, that slows the barbarian down, though.

>>49810378
A warlock with suggestion can somewhat do this at level 3.
>>
>>49810368
I'm mostly focused on strength and intelligence right now. 19str with I believe 13int, don't have my sheet open. So, the ASI would really help me out.

And if I'm multiclassing - it'll be into Wizard. The question was more "how deep into EK should I go before I multiclass" rather than "what should I multiclass into"
>>
>>49810387
I'm just pointing out the options because honestly there are better options than wizard.

But, eh. 7 minimum, jump off the ship ASAP after that.
>>
>>49810383
>A warlock with suggestion can somewhat do this at level 3.
How so?
>>
>>49810151
I was thinking rogue 3 or fighter 5 then switch to the other track.
>>
>>49810413
Think about it - suggestion lasts up to 8hrs, warlocks get all their slots back after an hour's rest.
>>
>>49810423
fighter 5 is for extra attack.
fighter 7 is for a feature - better superiority dice (battlemaster) or war magic (eldritch knight)
If you're a champion, ditch at 5.

Fighter 11 is for yet another extra attack, but probably isn't worth it.

Rogue 5 is good point to get to, for uncanny dodge.

First, choose between starting rogue (+1 skill proficiency) or fighter (+2 max HP), and then get a level in the other -
Fighter1/Rogue1
And then choose one to level to 5.
Then level the other however much you like, really.
>>
>>49810413
As >>49810426
Said.

It's not in any way foolproof, as it is a concentration-based spell.

Later, however, you can cast 'mass suggestion' without concentration and have it last for a year, I believe.

You should state what level you want to brainwash someone, because it gets better as you level up.
>>
>>49810489
>>49810426
Hmm, I see.
Old One Warlock can do this as an ability later anyway right?
>>
>>49810498
GOO Warlock does get to have a single humanoid as a thrall, yes! That would be a good way to have a whole town pacified, and a single, strongly controlled mayor, captain of the guard, or something, as your number 2. Sounds like a fun idea, anon.
>>
is there anything specific that stops a paladin who follows a specific diety like pelor, i.e. one who solely represents a specific race from enslaving / being Medieval Hitler to other races?
>>
>>49810180

Aboleth, ghosts, 'fetches (ghouls,revenants of dead sailors), various fishmans, sea hags, big sea monstery things.
>>
>>49810526
That's not Justice
>>
>>49810526
Not really.

Such a paladin would probably still be lawful, though questionable on the 'evil - neutral - good' axis.
>>
>>49810526
Nah.
They're just less likely to swear certain Oaths for obvious reasons.
>>
4e was pretty good.
>>
quick question, is a +1 greatsword that gives the wielder the Mage Slayer feat too powerful for a 3-man party at level 3/4? What about if i gave it some negative side effects?
>>
>>49810526
No, he just can't adhere to certain oaths, and is very likely to belong to the oath of the crown.
>>
>>49810180
Green dracoliches
>>
>>49810685
Make it intelligent, and have it constantly berate the wielder for associating with gross wizards and unclean sorcerers.
>>
>>49810489
It's worth noting here, that the warlock feature that allows them to cast mass suggestion only allows them to cast it as a sixth level spell, which only lasts a day.

I have a house rule for warlocks that lets them "learn" mystic arcanum spells at a higher level. For instance, you can use your seventeenth level mystic arcanum to learn mass suggestion, and from then on, you cast mass suggestion as a ninth level spell.
>>
Do you let people hide in the same spot whenever they are in full cover and not seen?
>>
>>49810703
that sounds like a good idea actually, since it used to belong to a knight that got murdered by a mad sorcerer that was terrorizing his city
>>
>>49810685
It'll be just a +1 greatsword 90% of the time unless you're constantly having them fight spellcasters, so I don't think it's too powerful. Still, even +1 is really good in 5e.

>>49810703
This would be funny.
>>
>>49810705
That's more for clerics or something, though.

Mass suggestion doesn't require short rest slots since it can last ridiculous lengths of times.

Letting warlocks learn upcasted spells sounds like a nice thing, though.
>>
Tempted the play a circle of land druid. Need some good ideas for background. He is a former orphan wood elf. What land circle should I take?
>>
I want to ask is does feat that add stats count toward your 20 max stats? or is there anyway to have +20 charisma

cause i am currently a level 1 bard with 19 charisma.

also what is the best way to play a bard in the social/political game? I am planning to being master of disguise with the actor feat and proficient in disguise kit
>>
>>49810685
I had a sword given out once that worked as follows:

'Whenever somebody casts a spell you can see being cast, you may spend your reaction to move 15ft towards them and make a melee weapon attack. If somebody casts a spell within 5ft of you, you are forced to spend your reaction to make this attack, but you may impose disadvantage on your own attack. The attack is made before the spell is cast but does not interrupt the spell unless the caster dies."

Works for low levels.
>>
>>49810723
For level 3-4 +1 is fine though.
>>49810685
If there's a real need for a curse effect take a look at the sword of vengeance and maybe change the trigger effect to being damaged by a spell
>>
>>49810755
Tempted, why? If you're like my friend, you'll want to switch to moon.
>>
>>49810775
All the "+1 to a stat and some other bonuses" feats say that the maximum is still 20.

As for the other question, that sounds like a good plan, and I wouldn't worry too much about what's the optimal way to play.

>>49810810
It is, and I just meant that it's not like in previous editions where everyone had +1 swords, so it probably should feel a little bit special when you get one.
>>
When my level 18 female, half-breed monk left the party after the campaign to find her shit father and kill him, his last words were, "I'm glad it's you..."

Fuck this game... and I love this game....
>>
>>49810841
nah want to play a casty druid rather then a melee one.
>>
>>49810865
Both are casty druids.
>>
>>49810697
Why oath of the crown? I haven't had a chance to read the swordcoast stuff, yes.
>>
>>49810903
It's the one least bound by "good"-ness - it's more about following your orders, so you can more easily be working for what people might see as "bad guys".
>>
>>49810903
Because oath of the crown is all about being loyal, obeying orders and keeping order, as opposed to being good, fighting for justice and protecting the innocent.
>>
Aside from Abilitys score minimums, are there any restrictions on multiclassing? Could I reach level 12 having picked up a single level in every class?
>>
>>49810914
I guess you could but it'd be a real silly thing to do
>>
>>49810910
Oath of Vengeance could be done as pretty much anyone, as long as they're sufficiently angry at an enemy.

Although heavily suggested the enemies should be 'evil', there's nothing stopping you from basically saying 'FUCKING ELVES FUCK ELVES KILL ALL ELVES' and having a vow of vengeance against good elves.
>>
>>49810841
>>49810897
Land druids are better than moon druids once druids want to be casters over melee fighters.

Moon Druid is great from level 2-6 and then is just a worse Druid that survives punishment better.
>>
File: 1468688719358.jpg (304KB, 870x1305px) Image search: [Google]
1468688719358.jpg
304KB, 870x1305px
>>49810998
>Choosing anything but Goblins as your vow of vengeance
>>
> Be a Moon druid
> GM don't know which magic item to give me
> all the other PC already have magic item tailor to their play style
>>
>>49811103
Some kind of cloak or cape is my first thought.
>>
>>49811103
Insignia of Claws
>>
File: 1466428486131.jpg (688KB, 1200x752px) Image search: [Google]
1466428486131.jpg
688KB, 1200x752px
>>49811103
>DMs who routinely give out tailored items

There are so many of these, and it's just so shit.

It makes no sense story-wise.
It fucks about with stats, when a non-tank becomes just as tanky as the main tank or someone becomes horribly imbalanced, or whatever. An item like 'you get 19 constitution' negates the point of ASIs to up constitution, for example.

It doesn't make anybody any more 'epic'. Often the items just feel stupid. 'You can now cast level 9 fireballs once a day!' Yes, great, you've just gotten a new option in combat. But that's kinda dumb, because it would be more fun if you had an interesting utility item that made you think a bit more than 'are there lots of enemies together? Do I really need to kill this person?'

And then, the items almost never have downsides. I fucking love downsides on items, but it seems people are always too obsessed with 'NOOOO, I WANT TO BE MR. HERO WHO CAN DO EVERYTHING AND FLY AND SHOOT LASERS OF DEATH' rather than 'I want to be a well thought out hero who can sometimes fly but has a history of crashing horribly, and can perhaps shoot a laser of death if he uses that one-use scroll'.

It's just immersion-breaking power creep most of
the time.

I want to see cool things that require thought, not just
'oh, the fighter can now wield a two handed weapon in one hand, so they get a +2 AC increase from shield, so there's no point to smaller weapons anymore'.

Also fucking 'this item deals 25d6 to you if it doesn't like you'.
>>
>>49810180
GHOST KRAKEN
>>
File: Why don't you come closer.jpg (44KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Why don't you come closer.jpg
44KB, 600x450px
>>49811210
> I've had bad experiences with something!
> That means that something is always bad, no exceptions!
Is there a magic item that will cure your faggotry?
>>
>>49811074
Sauce?
>>
>>49811309
Boku no Goblin
>>
File: Mantis Shrimp - Greater.jpg (302KB, 1766x1058px) Image search: [Google]
Mantis Shrimp - Greater.jpg
302KB, 1766x1058px
>>49810180
Giant crustaceans
>>
>>49811210
Can you please give an example of magic items you'd like?

[Spoiler]Also do you tell your DMs this or just sulk there when you find magic items?[/Spoiler]
>>
>>49809183

where did the /tg/ character sheet trove go??
>>
>>49811414
The Deck of Many Things would be a start.
But no, it's got to be a +1 Longsword because otherwise something "unbalanced" might happen.
>>
>>49811433
IIRC it's either in the DMG trove or just on the DMG
>>
Are there any good suggestions on an adventure for 10-12 hours of playing? I have no problem with stringing together multi-part organized play adventures if I need to.
>>
>>49811464
Depending on how fast your players are, you'd get through a good chunk of Lost Mines of Phandelver.
You'd probably finish Death House but careful players would take longer.
Not sure how long the introductory adventure for SKT is, maybe someone will.
>>
>>49811453

No the one that was being posted in the OP 5eg threads were complete(all the classes) and had all the rules and character references sheets. I'll search the archive. I never remember to download all the shit at once and don't remember til the stuff is gone.
>>
>>49810755
Grasslands
>>
>>49811414
I don't really say it out loud. Too many other people, and it's too late to start going on a rant. I'm that 'grizzled veteran of 5e' anyway, I really have to hold myself back from rule lawyering everything.

I like items like the cursed shield of arrow deflection.
Resistance against projectiles, yet projectiles start aiming themselves at you, even if they're ally projectiles.

The fact it attracts projectiles can help tank for your team (tank abilities are far and few between) yet can also be a detriment, and makes you think about your positioning.

It's a nice item.

>>49811242
>implying
I understand a lot of people like mindless power fantasy and just getting 'a sword that makes you deal EVEN MORE DAMAGE' but it's honestly braindead and kinda dumb to me.
Makes me feel I should like pathfinder, but then again, 5e is still better.
>>
>>49811601
>grizzled veteran of 5e
>The Player's Handbook was released on August 19, 2014.

Wew lad
>>
>>49811666
Most people when starting 5e will have little clue as to how everything works.
When you have one guy who sits on /tg/ every other day arguing rules in the group, it causes problems if they're not the DM if they're not careful. Or maybe I'm imagining things, but it's better to 'slowly' understand the rules than to have one guy constantly hammering exactly how the rules work so that even a .5 of an average damage isn't missed.
>>
I'm retooling the barbarian as part of a larger rework of 5e.
The goal of the rework is to make combat more interesting by giving all classes more access to at will type abilities, so basic attacking isn't almost always the optimal option. I've decided the best way to do this is partly to add invocation like features to every class, with class appropriate names.

So my questions are what are some ways we could mage the barbarian passive abilities more tactically interesting? What are some invocation type abilities we could add to the class? When should the barbarian get invocation like abilities? What should they be called?

When I say invocation like, I mean only that they would be abilities compiled into a large list, that barbarians could pick from as they level up. Not that they would necessarily be magic.

I'm about to take a three hour drive, and after that I have to prepare and run my weekly session tonight, so I won't be able to implement any of these into the pdf today. But I will read any suggestions you offer. So please give me suggestions.

inb4 "don't"
>>
>>49811464
So what I am hearing is that I should look into the introductory adventures for the adventure paths...
>>
>>49809183
It was your standard vampire, but she was really fat, so we called her the fatpire. We had trouble staking her heart so we thought it was all those clogged arteries.
>>
>>49811747
i mean this with the best of intentions anon, but don't
>>
File: 1464547484232.jpg (149KB, 1161x670px) Image search: [Google]
1464547484232.jpg
149KB, 1161x670px
>>49811601
> I'm that 'grizzled veteran of 5e'
> I understand a lot of people like mindless power fantasy and just getting 'a sword that makes you deal EVEN MORE DAMAGE'
>>
>>49811147
Fucking this.

There's only 6 books with magic items, it's not hard to give a gander.
>>
File: mouse and his steed.jpg (62KB, 393x767px) Image search: [Google]
mouse and his steed.jpg
62KB, 393x767px
I'm playing as a rogue/cleric of balthazarwho owns a temple/orphanage/school of sorts with his parents and scouts the city at night, trying to solve minor mysteries and inconveniences as well as finding street urchins and other evil doers and trying to convert them. What would be more appropriate for lvl 3; Thief, arcane trickster or assassin? I mean from a purely thematic viewpoint
>>
>>49811446
>likes the DoMT
That thing is a campaign ender, and most people who get it are compelled to draw from it like madmen.

>>49811601
I sort of agree with you and sort of don't anon. In a group, there's going to be a person whom a magic item fits best with. F.E., the cursed shield is going to go best on the guy with the highest AC, because that's the guy you want arrows to go to, while the glasses that make you able to see a huge distance / the quiver that can hold lots of stuff goes to the Ranger, the necklace that finds traps goes to the Rogue.

Interesting magical items, imo, are stuff like Decanters of Endless Water. In- and out- of combat utility, and who the fuck's supposed to hold it? Wizard can hold it for self-defense, frontline can carry it for crowd control while the wizard casts spells, Rogue can surprise people with it and unexpectedly knock them down...

Even more, you can use it to knock furniture around, or even launch small boulders at people if you have enough time to set it up.

>>49812205
That sounds more like a Thief than an Assassin. If you roamed the night brutally murdering people for sport or money, that might be more of an Assassin thing.

Also, who the fuck is Balthazar?
>>
>>49812273

I was thinking maybe arcane trickster, but I guess it doens't fit thematically. He patrols the streets not so much as a batman character, but more of a vigilante/hall monitor/curfew enforcer, stopping petty crimes and trying to convince others to turn their life around (especially young kids)

Balthazar was a fiend that ascended to god hood by rejecting his nature and becoming good. He's all about redemption and second chances (I think the light domain fits thematically)
>>
>>49811210
I too prefer magic items to be utility items with a catch, instead of "makes you kill things gooder". I also detest bags of holding, so maybe I just hate fun.
>>
>>49812318
Sorry, I had to repost to fix a misquote.

Sounds like a cool god, imo. Yeah, Thief definitely fits a more batman-type character, especially with how you can use your Cunning Action to use items, like caltrops, ball bearings, activated magic items that you can use...

IDK if Alchemist's Fire and Acid Flasks count, maybe you could pour them on non-creatures to deny others the ability to move through a space. Pour them on top of your caltrops, burn people to death.

>>49812348
Bags of holding are great, IMO, they give you the ability to carry more options and the option to carry more things.
>>
Is resistance additive or multiplicative?
>>
>>49812293
In a brainless 'Here's a +1 longsword' situation, sure. The item is going to go to one person, and that's the end of it. They're going to hold onto their direct upgrade until they get a better one.

If you provide items that might be sidegrades or more dubious, it makes players more willing to switch around their loadouts or lend away items to other players. It becomes less of a grab-fest 'GIMME ALL THE MAGIC ITEMS' and may make players even sometimes decide a certain item would hurt them.

Utility items can often go to almost anyone, too.

Tailored magical items gifted to the players without good reason you're basically saying 'santa claus springs forth from the lich and showers you in magical items' but in a less silly way. It's like the items have no purpose for being there other than to be conveniently found by you.

I like it when magical items belong. You find an item in some ancient ruins? Perhaps there's a reason it was there.
You find a magic item in a hoard some elder lizardman had but didn't use? Maybe there's a fucking reason he didn't use it, and not just 'lol, random magic item table'.

The endless water one is certainly fun, though.

>>49812007
I see a lot of people, when asked for what they'd like for something like a magic item, go 'Oh, I'd like a +1 weapon.'
That's what many people ask for. Power. I've seen someone get mad before because their precious power upgrade had a downside to it.

>>49812348
No, you just have good tastes.
>>
What profession would you associate with each fantasy race. I'm reworking them so that they were designed for a single purpose by the gods, but have since grown from it as the gods are gone. Humans don't have a purpose as their creation was a fluke/anomaly.
>>
>>49809183
Is there any class in 5e that works like a Warrior Mentalist in Anima? I want to make a 2h sword character that has some basic supernatural power and can do cool things like Anima martials.
>>
>>49812466
Cloud Giants as greatest Diplomats.
Fire Giants as greatest Smiths.
Stone Giants as greatest Masons/Stone Carvers.
Deep Gnomes as Jewelcrafters.
Storm Giants as best Keepers.
>>
>>49812439
What?
>>
>>49812508

Interesting suggestions.

What about the playable races?
>>
>>49812515
You get fire resistance as golden dragonborn.
You get a plate armor that gives Fire Resistance.
Is it 100 % Fire resistance or 75 %?
>>
Which spells are a must for an AT? GFB, BB and Minor Image are going to be my cantrips, well, Mage Hand too.
>>
>>49812529
Charm Person, Disguise Self, Invisibility, Suggestion. At least, for the early levels.
>>
>>49812525
I'm pretty sure resistance doesn't stack, you either have it or you don't (PHB 197 according to some post I just read)
>>
>>49812525
I would think multiplicative.

The resistance is reducing the damage by a factor, not a set amount.
>>
>>49810180
Haunted seaside mansion filled with ghost, animated armors, and scooby doo villains turned real.
Mermaids that drag people down to eat them.
Evil wizards of the coast.
Sea dragons, giant enemy crabs, rock lobsters, krakens, and other such strange beasts.
Pirates; for historical accuracy, dual wield a rapier, main gauche, and pistol.
>>
>>49812524
Deep Gnomes are playable.
Aarakocra could clearly be Scouts.
Not sure how you would do Dragonborn though.
>>
>>49812552
>evil wizards of the coast
Don't be redundant, anon.
>>
>>49812568
I'll likely be sticking with the PHB races for this game initially, perhaps branch out later. What of those races?

Dragonborn i'm thinking something along the lines of dealing with wealth. Be they accountants or bankers, their progenitors are the dragons who are obsessed with wealth after all.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (2MB, 1428x820px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
2MB, 1428x820px
Alright, so. My party needs a heavy-duty melee bro.

I have never played a heavy-duty melee bro.

What kind of heavy-duty melee bro should I play? The party so far has no Ranger, Paladin, or Fighter of any sort.

Here are my requirements:

1. Plate-armor compatible
2. Must melee heavily
3. Must be a cool dude

I want everyone to remember me forever.
>>
>>49812550
>>49812525
Just double checked and I'm right, PHB section on resistance says multiple instances of resistance for the same damage type "count as one instance"
>>
File: BagsofHolding.png (107KB, 1023x499px) Image search: [Google]
BagsofHolding.png
107KB, 1023x499px
>>49812389
>Bags of holding are great, IMO, they give you the ability to carry more options and the option to carry more things.
In my experience, they just get used to carry all the things, and rob players of the challenge of deciding what to bring vs what to leave behind. While I dont micromanage carry weight, I think it gives better immersion to balance the heavily laden pally with a main melee weapon of every damage type, vs the lightweight rogue with nothing more than a dagger and a belt pouch.
>>
File: Gimli.jpg (90KB, 1000x792px) Image search: [Google]
Gimli.jpg
90KB, 1000x792px
>>49812624
Make Gimli.
>>
>>49810180

Zombie Syrians. They wander inland, moaning "Ficki...ficki...I am a thirteen year child pls ignore my grey beard...you must remove your dogs they offend me...ficki...ficki..."
>>
>>49812606
Half-elfs are the greatest diplomats as according to the PHB, so maybe second to Cloud Giants, since Giants in general are extremely rare.
Elves are Archers/Woodcrafters/Horticulturists, High Elves can also be Magistrates.
Drow as Spies.
Dorfs are Smiths/Warriors.
Halflings are Entertainers.
>>
>>49812624
Dwarf fighter.

Loves to get drunk and kill goblins.
>>
>>49812649
Alright.
>>
>>49812624
Paladin is the coolest dude that can wear plate armor, bring an Oath of Devotion or Ancients and be the guy who takes all the damage, heals people, and makes people immune to things.
>>
>>49812624

Play a half-orc that used to live in an orphanage, but the catch is that the owners were really nice and taught you to be polite, well read and a good person. You grew up to be a muscly dude and joined the town guard to help keep the peace, while also working part time with the orphanage. It got burned down because reasons, so you're going on a quest for adventure so you get enough money to rebuild it.

All the kids love you as a big brother and you're surprised when you get odd looks for being a half orc, since most people in your home town like you. you don't realize you're an exception.
>>
File: 1453597271185.gif (429KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1453597271185.gif
429KB, 480x270px
>>49812672
>>
>>49812624
You could also be a big team player and go Purple Dragon Knight fighter. Inspire everyone to not suck.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (58KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
58KB, 480x360px
>>49812672
Did someone say Gobs?
>>
File: gaston3_6286.png (108KB, 350x173px) Image search: [Google]
gaston3_6286.png
108KB, 350x173px
>>49812624
Go EK Fighter, pick thematic spells to mesh with character backstory, which should be Soldier. Spend your free time in town rallying local militia/guard to your group's cause. Roll into adventure leading a squad of a half dozen men at arms. Your GM will love you because as long as you roll for them, it'll give him plenty of leeway in setting up challenging encounters.
>Oh shit, I made this cultist leader too tough for them to handle! Oh I know, I'll just have him spend 6 rounds wood chipping these nameless mercs, that'll even it up!
>>
File: normiesleave.jpg (37KB, 480x438px) Image search: [Google]
normiesleave.jpg
37KB, 480x438px
>>49810998

Can you swear an Oath of Vengeance against Normies?
>>
Is multiclassing more or less required to be pro in this edition the way it was in 3.5?
>>
File: weirddrinks.gif (544KB, 303x357px) Image search: [Google]
weirddrinks.gif
544KB, 303x357px
>>49812721
Nah, that'd violate the domain of the Oath of Memes paladin.

Then again, pic related is said paladin on a daily basis.

>>49812730
Less. You don't have to multiclass at all if you don't want to.
>>
>>49812707

>PDK
>inspire people not to suck
>by being the suckiest archetype in 5e as a contrast, anyone else looks great
>>
So I want to play a cowardly wizard focussed mostly on self-preservation while still helping the party out in combat. What sort of spells and cantrips should I go for at first level?

Also, what would be a good motive to join a party of adventurers besides running from the law or something?
>>
>>49812505

Valor Bard Master Race.
>>
I've had my players fight with a monster recently, and they had real difficulties because they did not understand what exactly are they fighting and what are his abilities. That is, until one of the players shouted out "Guys, I get it, it's just a reskinned shambling mound!". I've immediately declared that his character takes 2d10 psychic damage, and threatened him a disadvantage on all his rolls for the battle, if I hear him using metagaming knowledge again.
Was I right or wrong?
>>
File: 1455884457014.jpg (31KB, 600x462px) Image search: [Google]
1455884457014.jpg
31KB, 600x462px
I'm gonna set up a minor antagonist/sidequest for my players involving a travelling tricky merchant man who goes around giving people stereotypical fucky magic items (like one I had was an item that makes the wearer have the strength of an ogre, but also the mind) and just goes around fucking with people.

What kind of creature would do something like this? Either out of malevolence or just because it's funny, I'm not sure what yet.
>>
>>49812752
go for the bilbo baggins route of recruiting helping the party
>>
>>49812781
Folk of Leng from Tome of Beasts
Or just any race, the only requirement is being an asshole
>>
>>49812624
Just because your party has no melee, does not mean you HAVE to be melee.

Sometimes, being the only melee person can fuck things up when you have to run in alone, or stay back and do nothing while everyone snipes because getting in close sucks.

If there's lots of other melee players, go wolf barbarian.

Otherwise, try a shield fighter with the 'grant disadvantage on an attack against someone being attacked within 5ft' or paladin. Paladin will suck if you're constantly seperated from the team in terms of auras, but they're very bro-ish and durable.
>>
>>49812687

I think that's the first time I've ever physically cringed at a backstory. That's some BLM-tier shit-ass "why people no like me for my race" nonsense. Fuck that, you play a half-orc, you play one without the angst.
>>
>>49812781
Gnome, for sure. Those little Bastards would convince you they didn't realise what they were doing wrong, too.
>>
>>49812774
I don't want to play a musician. I want to play a warrior with supernatural powers and impressive physical abilities, like a Warrior Mentalist.
>>
>>49812752
Illusin and control spells are your friends. Tasha's hideous laughter, misty step, sleep, your standard Batman wizard kit. You probably want either abjuration or divination spec to protect yourself from danger even better.
As for the reasons why he's adventuring, maybe questgiver is calling in old debts. Maybe sense of duty and compassion momentarily overwhelmed his sense of reason and he actually volunteered.

I'm playing this sort of character right now, except she's a cleric. She wants nothing more than just to retire in a small fishing village and heal cuts and bruises for the rest of her peaceful life, but circumstances force her to adventure instead.
>>
>>49812779
Would slash GM's tires/10
>>
>>49812803
>>49812810

Yeah I realize that I could pretty much have it be anything and say that he's just a dick, but I was hoping for something more magical in nature, like a low level demon or something, I dunno.
>>
>>49812718
>rally people
>when Charisma is your worst stat
>>
>>49812817

Exactly. Valor. Bard. Master. Race. Get swole son.

Or just be a fucking Eldritch Knight or Bladelock.
>>
>>49812809

What? the orc has no angst at all. He's a really cheerful guy. The idea is that people don't trust him and aren't at ease when he's around because, canonically, that's how people tend to view half-orcs, but he's a cool guy and is kind of naive and oblivious as to why this seems to be.
>>
>>49812779

Kinda shitty way of doing it, just give him a soft warning and ask him not to do it again if you're in a roleplay-heavy game.

In most games I play, we often discuss battle tactics OOC- calling out what the monster is is a crummy thing for the player to do, because people are gonna start looking it up on their phones n shit.

>>49812781
Anything that can make magic items.

Make it elves. Because as /tg/ likes to say, around elves, watch yourselves.

>>49812809
???? it seems pretty decent to me, anon. I'd play with a racially oblivious half-orc.
>>
>>49812876

>-but calling out what the monster
I dropped a 'but'. Sorry.
>>
>>49812817
What's wrong with playing a musician who is all that? Afraid to get bitches?
>>
>>49812821
These spells seem useful, thanks!

How dire should a situation be before I bail on the party? I'm guessing when half of them are down.
>>
>>49812863

That sounds really stupid and self-indulgent. "HEY GUYS I'M SO NICE AND COOL AND AWESOME BUT PEOPLE DON'T LIKE ME CUZ THEY RAYCISS."

Fuck off to reddit.
>>
>>49812900
Sleep only seems useful; besides fae and undead immunity, it's mostly useless against cr 3+ monsters
>>
>>49812817
This is your reminder that bard's skill is called "perfomance" and not "music". And "perfomance" is a very, very broad term.
>>
>>49812907
This is literally the half-orc fluff since 1e.
>>
>>49812907

Alright man, came up with it on the fly in under a minute, no need to get aggressive. I also didn't envision him as seeing others as racist, he's simply oblivious as to why people seem to not like him much because he had a sheltered life.
>>
>>49812817
>A stern human warrior bangs his sword rhythmically against his scale mail, setting the tempo for his war chant and exhorting his companions to bravery and heroism.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (5KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
5KB, 480x360px
>>49812863
>naive oblivious character

Get fucked, cunt. If I knew where you lived I would melt your dice in your microwave and draw dicks in sharpie on your books.
>>
File: 1458077104178.jpg (5KB, 121x125px) Image search: [Google]
1458077104178.jpg
5KB, 121x125px
>>49812907
> Trying to bait on /tg/ by calling people reddit
Maybe it's you who should go back.
>>
>>49812912
5e Bards don't get perform free, they get 3 music instruments (that said taking perform is good, what kind of warrior mentalist wants to dance like an oaf)
>>
>>49812925
From the PHB, bards can be warriors too.
>>
>>49812927

What's so wrong about naive, oblivious characters? They're perfectly reasonable if their backstory allows it.
>>
>>49812876

That's because you're retarded. Replace orc with black and you'll see why it's such a shit concept. Anything designed to provoke "oh poor me I am victim of undeserved racism" is a pure shit character. If you're going to make a bro half orc, make a bro half orc, don't make a retard who doesn't realize what he is.
>>
>>49812961
>t. sheltered vanilla-american
>>
>>49812844
Gnomes come with built-in illusions.
If you want a demon, you can create pretty much anything and call it a demon, there's lots of kinds.
Fey stuff is always my favourite for dickery though, so if not a gnome, maybe an eladrin, a shapeshifter, a leprechaun or something.
>>
>>49812912
I don't want to "perform". I also don't want a bag of Goofy Wonder Tricks™ (per day) that I do a jig or sing a song to conjure. I want to make a serious character who can do serious things, like increase my reaction times, strength, endurance, and such with supernatural power, like a Claymore or Witcher, or Warrior Mentalist. I don't want anything to do with the absurdity of Vancian magic.

>>49812925
This is just pure silliness.
>>
>>49812942
>>49812925
>>49812817

I recently made a bard that's just a storyteller. They don't use instruments at all.

>grizzled old veteran tells an inspiring story about a battle against the odds he once won
>>49812961
I'm still not seeing the problem here. As long as undeserved racism isn't the only thing the character has going for him, it's fine. Stop being so hostile.
>>
>>49809985
nobody has replied to this because it's dumb but nigga, that's dumb
>>
>>49812921

It's like you're designing a character purely to be pitied and "call out" the ones who rightfully don't trust him for being the spawn of a murderous green rapist.

You don't belong here.
>>
File: 1476199378194.jpg (464KB, 1342x1051px) Image search: [Google]
1476199378194.jpg
464KB, 1342x1051px
Would a Sea Hag raise her child if it were a mutt or eat it?
>>
>>49812994
Swap it out for someone else's newborn and then eat that one
>>
File: CecO00FWIAE5GNa.jpg (26KB, 480x467px) Image search: [Google]
CecO00FWIAE5GNa.jpg
26KB, 480x467px
>>49812850
>dumping CHA
>ever
Are you some kinda limp dick faggot who lets others speak for you and is only at the table to play out some pathetic violent warrior fantasy?
>>
>>49812987

So you don't actually want to be a spellcaster. Okay. Barbarian. Specifically an Eagle Barbarian so you can anime jump and shit.
>>
>>49812961
If you replaced "half-orc" with "half-black" it makes perfect sense - you were raised by humans who treated you like humans only to run into a bunch of people treating you like an orc as an adult.
>>
>>49812987
I get the feeling that this is bait, but if it's not, you want paladin or bladesinger. Literally guys with swords and magic.
>>
>>49812990
>Stop being so hostile

Where do you think you are? That is the entire character. Congratulations, you managed to fag up one of the coolest Strength+ races by making a fucking Drizzt minus the self-awareness.

You deserve to have the BBEG cuck you with your love interest.
>>
>>49812987
Most spells have a vocal component, even if you're a wizard.

>>49813031
>bladesinger
>SINGER
OH NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOO
>>
File: hard dickings.png (136KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
hard dickings.png
136KB, 325x325px
>>49813008
That actually makes a lot of sense, thanks!
>>
>>49812987
> I don't want anything to do with the absurdity of Vancian magic.

Then why are you here?
>>
>>49812993
>everyone acts according to stereotype only
>PCs are not special
>real life politics must be injected into every fantasy land
>>
>>49812779
It's a silly thing to actually punish them, people will get excited and want to use what they know.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (7KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
7KB, 480x360px
>>49812947

They're incredibly obnoxious and come off as retards. It's one thing for a sheltered elf princess to be naive, but a town fucking guard brick shithouse half-orc? That's beyond stupid. That's some soft cunt shit.
>>
>>49812987
>I don't want anything to do with the absurdity of Vancian magic.
Your only option is Warlock or spellpoints, snowflake.
>>
>>49813011
I don't want to be a barbarian. I want to be a civilized person with no special connection to anger, who fights more with precision than brute force.

>>49813031
I don't want to be a religious fanatic, and again, I don't want a bag of Goofy Wonder Tricks™ (per day).

Is there really no way to implement such a typical character concept in this system?
>>
>>49812981
>t. sheltered middle-class mulatto who thinks he's oppressed
>>
>>49812993
>rightfully
>implying there is anything rightful about the sins of the father
So, when are you paying reparations?
>>
File: 1475080633369.png (575KB, 1024x1302px) Image search: [Google]
1475080633369.png
575KB, 1024x1302px
>>49813035
On 4chan. And no, that is the character concept as presented to us by that anon.

You just hate variety, apparently.

>drizzt is just some guy who grew up being embraced by his community instead of hated by it
I don't see the comparison. Drizzt was way worse- he grew up in a terrible society and was just randomly better than it and left, on top of being LEL THE BEST swordsman.
>>49813119
Rogue?
>>
>>49813119
Then play a battlemaster or fuck off. Also paladins don't swear oaths to gods.
>>
>>49813016

You mean giving you a free ride to college because you can speak without grunting, coddling you, giving you preferential access to living space, and burning down the town if your dumb ass gets killed robbing a store?

No thanks, keep that shit out of games.
>>
>>49813120
>muh nerd oppreshun

>>49813147
>>>/pol/
>>
>>49813119
Then either play a battlemaster or fuck off. You're acting like an obnoxious cunt. I know you for about ten minutes, and I dislike you already.
>>
>>49813125

It's called having my tax dollars go to fund your ghettoes, widenose.
>>
>>49813169
>widenose
Neat little bit of assuming, brah

>implying you pay taxes
>>
>>49813016

Black people aren't orcs.
>>
File: that cunt pays the cost.png (312KB, 311x445px) Image search: [Google]
that cunt pays the cost.png
312KB, 311x445px
>>49813089

>sheltered life in small, peaceful village
>half orc grew up there, all the locals know him, including the kids who grew up to be adults
>town guard jobs are mostly dealing with petty crimes and ocasionally defending against low-level monsters

also this is a concept created in a minute or so with no fixed back story, deliberately so it could be changed by the dude.

Why do people get so angry lmao
>>
>>49813169
I'm a /pol/itician myself, but you're acting in a really, really cringeworthy way even for my taste. We're not discussing /tg/ topics on /pol/, why should we bring /pol/ to /tg/?
>>
>>49813181
half-orcs are also not orcs
>>
>>49813134
>Rogue
Absolutely nothing about that class has anything in common with the character I've described wanting to play.

>>49813143
>>49813166
>The closest thing to a competent supernatural warrior our system can offer is a mundane fighter who can use feats to trip people and stuff, but Vancian magic isn't a big deal or anything, honest!
This is just pathetic.
>>
File: Kidnapping Suspect.jpg (24KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Kidnapping Suspect.jpg
24KB, 600x600px
pol fags up a thread yet again
>>
>>49813147

Half orcs aren't black people. You're the one creating this false analogy.

>>49813188
/pol/ are the new furries. Most of them can't just stop themselves from talking about their beliefs on other boards. Also, this is FANTASY. Real life politics and societies do not exist in this fictional universe.
>>
>>49813119

A Barbarian is not tied to a frothing rage, it could just be a mental state of extreme focus, like a martial trance.

>Is there really no way to implement such a typical character concept in this system?

There are nearly unlimited ways that you're hindered from using because you want to play a supernatural character without using the game's magic system, and while using only the most stereotypical versions of the fluff. I'm the guy who mentioned Valor Bards earlier, because I MADE a Witcher Valor Bard.
>>
>>49813202
EK, Paladin, Hunter Ranger, Warpriest and Valor Bard are all perfectly competent supernatural warriors, your problem is being a faggot who whines about the nature of magic requiring some musicality,
>>
File: plottwist.gif (401KB, 300x182px) Image search: [Google]
plottwist.gif
401KB, 300x182px
>>49813202
>doesn't like vancian magic
>wants to play something supernatural with a sword
>in 5e

I have another option for you: get out and stop trolling.

Pic related: you don't actually care about what we say, you just want to make us mad.
>>
>>49813185

Why are you so angry that one person doesn't want to play White Guilt: the PC?

Also naive characters are ass.
>>
Nigger, nobody is forcing you to play 5e. If you don't like it, get the fuck out. But you won't, since you're here simply to bait and fish for (you)s. Well, I'm not giving you the satisfaction.
>>
>>49813242
You're the one getting irrationally angry about someone's character, hth
>>
>>49813219
>There are nearly unlimited ways that you're hindered from using because you want to play a supernatural character without using the game's magic system,

I was told that 5e doesn't have a problem with Vancian magic, that there are alternatives to it just as viable as RPM or Thamotology in GURPS, but apparently if you don't want to use Goofy Wonder Tricks™ (per day) then you're shit out of luck for playing any kind of supernatural character.

As expected, this game is cripplingly limited.
>>
>>49813219
>There are nearly unlimited ways that you're hindered from using because you want to play a supernatural character without using the game's magic system, and while using only the most stereotypical versions of the fluff.
THIS. It would be so easy to refluff things, but I guess the game needs to build your anime character for you or it sucks.
>>
>>49813242

I'm not angry that you don't like the concept, I'm angry that acting so uncivilized and vitriolic is apparently ok on this board.
>>
>>49813134
>don't want to play a retard racebait character
>you just hate variety

Serious question, what was your major in college? Because the mental gymnastics make me think you were in the humanities.

>Drizzt

I'm not the one who brought him up originally, but...wasn't his dad incredibly cynical and bitter about drow society and raised him virtually on his own?
>>
>>49813265
>Expecting an edition of D&D to not have vancian magic
Are you like, stupid or something? The problem 5e fixes is 5-minute workday type exploits by making it clear for the morons who thought it worked any other way that you only get one long rest in a 24 hour period, otherwise it's still Vancian like it's been since OD&D. If you want something non-Vancian, just ask your DM if spell points are okay.
>>
>>49813285
>t. IT major
Also here's a suggestion: don't play that character if you don't like it!
>>
>>49813192

Then why is there this need for him to be hated and mistrusted by LE EVIL RACIST HUMANS?

>>49813185

>why do people get so angry lmao

I thought Summer was over.
>>
File: DLC pack.jpg (979KB, 2902x4082px) Image search: [Google]
DLC pack.jpg
979KB, 2902x4082px
>>49813285

>Studying humanities means you're obligated to be a liberal and to not contribute to humanity

the character didn't have to be played as race bait, either, it could be one of his personality traits, along with kindness, being naive, being positive, etc. no need to have a pavlovian response to race, /pol/.

>>49813319
nice meme
>>
>>49813319
There's no need but that's usually how it plays out as both half-elf and half-orc have been different flavors of tragic mulatto since literally 1e, are you that new?
>>
>>49813285
I'm just not seeing the whole racebait thing. He wants to play a character that's ignorant of the stereotypes that are leveled against his people, and don't see a problem with it.
>Draz'zt
His dad trained him to fight. He was raised by his sister, IIRC.

>>49813285
>>49813310
funny shit, I'm actually an IT major.

>>49813319
>just humans
everyone's gonna be racist against half-whatevers. "oh, you're related to orcs, fuck orcs, they burned down my house when i was ten, fuck you don't burn down my house stupid greenskin." is a line of thought that works for everyone.
>>
>>49813319
Crazily enough, people in fantasyland have prejudices just like people in the real world
>>
>>49813319

Because half orcs are mistrusted. That is unquestionably part of the lore.
>>
>>49813203
>being this angry that people don't like your shitty racebait orphan babby backstory

I played a Half-Orc once. He was a bloody knight. People liked him because he killed fiddy elves with his hammer at the Battle of Rustmire. I didn't need your goddamn "oh woe is me the hyoomans are oppressing me" nonsense or "I'm too naive to see I'm being retreated so my teammates will totally have to protect me" nonsense.
>>
>>49813364
Not going to lie, the only person who sounds angry here is you. Like, really angry at the implication that people might play a game that goes slightly deeper than a rainpuddle of murderhoboland.
>>
>>49813302
I was told just yesterday in another thread by an anon that 5e doesn't have Vancian magic, or that it's as optional as Ritual Path Magic or Thaumotology are in GURPS. Of course I disbelieved this nonsense, as D&D has always been a terrible game with no sense or value, but I thought at least to investigate whether it could yet handle an extremely basic character concept.

My expectations were entirely validated, it seems.
>>
>>49813332
Do you ever wonder who sits down at their computer and makes an image like this?
I do.
>>
File: redu piru.png (48KB, 1205x633px) Image search: [Google]
redu piru.png
48KB, 1205x633px
>>49813392

bored neets, probably.
>>
>>49813265
>Goofy Wonder Tricks

What snarky millenial podcast did you get this from?

>GURPS

Probably a troll

>As expected, this game is cripplingly limited

So you don't want to play an actual spellcaster, you don't want to multiclass, you don't want to use the class that uses a semi-supernatural state to enhance its physical abilities because you associate it with berserkers, you don't want any connection to "performing" even if the performance is acrobatic swordplay, you're insistent that it HAS to be supernatural and not martial tricks, and you refuse to refluff anything...I don't think it's the game that's cripplingly limited, just your imagination.

On top of this your entire concept is "le serious edgemaster anime protagonist."

If I believed you were serious I would deliberately build you a bad character.
>>
>>49813265
Monks
>>
>>49813285

Zaknafein was deeply cynical about Drow society (and life in general), but only trained Drizzt to fight; most of the raising was done by Drizzt's sisters.
>>
>>49813010
>>49812850
>>49812718
>implying EK can't be played with charisma as your ONLY required stat, with possibly 14 dex or 15 strength for armour, then rest on con

3 levels in warlock. Get shillelagh and agonizing blast.

Agonizing blast -> war magic (using a shillelagh'd club) all day long.
>>
>>49812809
christ anon

your post is fucking embarrassing
>>
TG, what's the basic One Shot set up?

I've played a lot of D&D but I'm going to DM for this first time ever, and it's going to be a homebrew one-shot because I want to make a game where my players are going to play as the people they loathe the most in the world (You know, "That Bitch Sarah from Work") in a fantasy world where they take down their fantasy doppleganger selves ("That Bitch Sarah" says Mike is a pig, so Mike is going to be literally a wereboar, you get the gist)

I never DM'ed or made a dungon or anything before though, so I'm looking at the DMG and I'm terrified of overcomplicating it, making a confusing mess and writing all the fun out of it.

So what's like, the 1-2-3 basics?
>>
>>49813236

I haven't looked at 5e Monks, much, but don't they use swords and stuff this time around? In b4 he says he doesn't want his character to be from a temple.
>>
>>49813476
5e monk has proficiency with shortswords, yes.
>>
File: normiesstayout.jpg (114KB, 700x319px) Image search: [Google]
normiesstayout.jpg
114KB, 700x319px
>>49813270

Where do you think you are? Do you get angry when people swear, too?
>>
File: 1476347052464.png (143KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1476347052464.png
143KB, 800x1000px
>>49813491
4chan. Constant swearing is a sign of pic related.
>>
File: 1463718032746.jpg (72KB, 720x690px) Image search: [Google]
1463718032746.jpg
72KB, 720x690px
>>49812809
>>49812907
>>49812927
>>49813089
>STOP PLAYING CHARACTERS I DONT LIKE REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>49813348
>normalizing anti half-orc prejudice.

Oh. Oh I see your game now, /pol/. Very clever. You got me.
>>
>>49813379
>muh racial understanding is deep

Literally the most shallow source of character drama. I bet if you made a tiefling, they'd wear a hood and try to hide their tail, too.
>>
>>49813119
Whatever you play, all your fellow players and GM will secretly hate you.

Because you're That Guy, and they'd all prefer you not be there.
>>
>>49813476
They use fists or any simple weapons. Also, shortswords. Sometimes they use energy blasts instead.
>>
>>49813390

Except it could handle this "extremely basic" character concept just fine, with several different classes which you then refused for your own reasons.

In other words, eat shit. If you hate DnD go play your cluttered clusterfuck Anima or shovel GURPS' garbage down your throat. May you have all the fun in the world somewhere else.
>>
>>49811510
Say if you find it. I've been looking for those too. Really great sheets but I haven't been able to find all of them.
>>
>>49813522
What's wrong with a tiefling trying to hide their horns and tail? The PHB literally says that people are racist against tieflings, and that they're generally an oppressed minority. It's reasonable for people to try and avoid that kinda shit, you know.
>>49813513
I don't think I'm smart enough for that.
>>
>>49813436
>What snarky millenial podcast did you get this from?
You're far more likely to hang out with your fellow "quirky outcasts" at the local Starbucks than I, drone.

>Probably a troll
No, just not a D&Drone like you people.

>So you don't want to play an actual spellcaster,
Sure I would, if it were even possible. But no, D&D only has the Zany Gag Brigade™ equipped with their Power Potions, Boggle Bombs, and Zipp Stix to choose from in that area.

>you don't want to use the class that uses a semi-supernatural state to enhance its physical abilities because you associate it with berserkers
It is literally called the "barbarian" and its primary feature is "Rage".

>you don't want any connection to "performing" even if the performance is acrobatic swordplay,
Indeed, why should I have to be a performer in order to be supernaturally capable? This is an absurd stipulation that only D&Drones, who only think in terms of their Whimsy-Silly Playland's features believe to be reasonable.

>you're insistent that it HAS to be supernatural and not martial tricks, and you refuse to refluff anything...
In Anima or GURPS I can get both out of the corebooks alone.

>On top of this your entire concept is "le serious edgemaster anime protagonist."
Right, because pic related is so much better.
>>
>>49813310

I not only won't play it, I will viciously undermine anyone who plays anything similar to it and ban all characters using their race as a pity factor from my table. Your misdeeds have only caused suffering for others.
>>
>>49811510
>>49813557
I have all the class-specific character sheet pdfs somewhere, is that what you're looking for?

>>49813390
>>49813597
man you are trying so hard
>>
File: Abusive.png (191KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Abusive.png
191KB, 400x400px
> The entire thread has been derailed by two trolls with obvious baits
>>
>>49813613
Yes, that would be perfect. I have most of them but lost track of where to find the others. Starting a game with some new players and they are perfect ways to track abilities.
>>
File: walkinggarbage.jpg (97KB, 520x600px) Image search: [Google]
walkinggarbage.jpg
97KB, 520x600px
>>49813597
>>
>>49813459

Sorry someone criticized your concept and you had to respond a few dozen times getting mad at them for it.

Fuck orphan characters, too.
>>
>>49813503

Helpful Comrade please go and stay go.
>>
>>49813560

Because the tieflings are valuable allies against the more subhuman races?
>>
File: 1466557498321.jpg (368KB, 1280x1892px) Image search: [Google]
1466557498321.jpg
368KB, 1280x1892px
>>49813597

I can't stop laughing at all of these capitalized terms you clearly think are so clever.

>So you don't want to play an actual spellcaster,
>Sure I would, if it were even possible. But no, D&D only has the Zany Gag Brigade™ equipped with their Power Potions, Boggle Bombs, and Zipp Stix to choose from in that area.

What does this even mean?

>In Anima or GURPS I can get both out of the corebooks alone.

Anima and GURPS are overweighty crap with separate rulesets for being a mushroom farmer or a wizard who wears a hat versus a wizard who wears a cowl, so I can see how suckling from that teat would stunt your ability to fluff things for yourself.

The number one thing you're missing is that DnD is about the classic fantasy archetypes. The fact that it caters at all towards making an anime protagonist is a mark of extreme kindness on the designer's part, and some of the fanbase would rather not have included you at all.

You've been given several options that don't even use the Vancian magic you hate so much, despite Vancian magic being considerably less clunky than your weeb mana pools. Pick one or fuck off.
>>
>>49812505
try Fighter - Eldritch Knight
>>
>>49813476
True, forgot monk, but monks also have rhythm, which the troll obviously lacks.
>>
>>49813597
>I must be extremely serious. What kind of serious warrior knows how to dance, sing and write poetry.
You're like medieval /r9k/ whining at Chad knowing how to do courtly love better than your autistic sword swinging robot ass.
>>
File: latest[1].png (294KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
294KB, 720x540px
>>49813863

The samurai and the Scottish would like a word with him.

People who play Bards as the Faggy Minstrel class instead of as the OG hero who can swing swords, woo bitches, and knows a bit of magic from fucking witches and/or having a cool mentor who was like "hey boy guess what's 1000x easier than starting a campfire with a bow drill, check this cantrip out".

Bards are absolutely legit.
>>
>>49813935
That's what I was saying though. If anything, most cultures love warrior poets.
>>
>>49812817
>I want to play a warrior with supernatural powers and impressive physical abilities

That's a Valor Bard.
>>
>>49813597
>because pic related is so much better
Actually, it is.
>>
>>49812817
>I want to play a warrior with supernatural powers and impressive physical abilities,
Valor bard?
>>
>>49811210
>It fucks about with stats, when a non-tank becomes just as tanky as the main tank
Yeah, it actually annoys the hell out of me when the GM gives someone an item to cover their weakness rather than support their strength or act as utility.
What annoys me even more than that is when the party gets buried in 'utility' items that are just useless crap.
>>
>>49813955

Yeah, I'm agreeing with you. He picked the most weeb character concept when even the Japs were all about that warrior poet archetype.
>>
>>49813597

That Gnome looks like he would ass-fuck any Anima character that ever lived.
>>
>>49813597

What do you mean, spellcasters aren't possible? Is my Abjurer firing up his super-ward and mowing down bitches with Fireballs a "boggle bomb"? I don't understand your new-age kiddy lingo.
>>
>>49814013
He's also probably a valor bard
>>
>Zany Gag Brigade™ equipped with their Power Potions, Boggle Bombs, and Zipp Stix
Are there any good homebrew alchemists? I suddenly want to play as one.
>>
>>49814036
>valor bard
[TRIGGERED]
>>
>>49813597
M O N K
O
N
K
>>
File: Don't get sick.jpg (19KB, 500x719px) Image search: [Google]
Don't get sick.jpg
19KB, 500x719px
>>49814043
No. And it triggers me, because I want to play picrelated.
>>
>>49812505
you'll never be able to be an Anima martial in this system anon
>>
>>49813959
>>49813976

Valor Bardmind.
>>
>>49814036

Truly the legendary master race. Whether you go Strength or Dex with them, Valor Bards are golden gods.
>>
File: Zealous accusation.jpg (21KB, 249x380px) Image search: [Google]
Zealous accusation.jpg
21KB, 249x380px
I want to stat this ability, maybe as a magic item. Any suggestions?
>>
>>49814188
Vicious Mockery
>>
>>49814200
>Vicious Valorbardery
>>
>>49812930
Its Googles like you that are ruining the internet.
>>
>>49814188
Scroll of posterior fire
>>
What gods do Giants worship?
>>
>>49814530
The gods of giants.
I know stone giants worship Skoraeus Stonebones, I forget the rest.
>>
>>49814530
Gods of giants, I suppose.
>>
>>49814036

Exactly.
>>
What's the point of worshiping these shitty new gods and having divine casters at all?

What if we just worshipped the Old Ones, with wise Wizards and Warlocks as the religious leaders and scholars, EKs and Bladelocks as Templars of the Great Tentacled Ones, and Bards who sing the songs that keep Azathoth asleep as healers? A true, enlightened faith, free from the meddling of those divine children.
>>
>>49813985
There should be some incentive to trade away useless items for less useless ones.

Like throwing four items into a void and getting a random one back, in a game where the party is given a great wealth of items that require a lot of thought to use, and many might not be useful.
>>
>>49814083
I'd certainly be down for a alchemist/plague doctor type class where the focus is to be able craft items which you/your party could use. Obviously balance is quite important but I think it's a design space that WOTC could certainly explore
>>
File: wut.jpg (25KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
25KB, 600x512px
>>49815530
... you mean like a shop? Where you sell your useless items for gold and then use that gold to buy less useless items?
>>
>>49815598
That's discrimination against my vow of poverty build
>>
>>49815598
>shop

The problem here is it's hard to price magical items, and if you had players haggle that takes way too much time when you have a lot of items.

A 'exchange some magical items for other items automatically' system keeps things streamlined without all the added paperwork.
>>
>>49815644
I certainly see what you're saying and it's probably my taste but I quite enjoy the whole shopkeeper/haggling RP.

It seems quite video-gamey to have a system which allows for balanced trading of magic items since they are so varied in lore and power. If I remember correctly, aren't there guidelines for how much magical items cost based on rarity? Surely you could just work off that
>>
>>49815744
>It seems quite video-gamey
That's because you're playing a shitty skirmish wargame and not an RPG.

Stop playing D&D.
>>
>>49815644
There's this PDF that a bunch of people made about what they feel you should pay for magic items in a setting where trade of magic items is a thing. You could use this as a base, and then have players make a persuasion roll to see how close to 100% of the value they can get when selling.
>>
>>49815744
I usually solve the problem two ways
- Magic items are plot hooks, or are traded for plot hooks
- They get one permanent magic item (I exempt some things that are more rare non-magical shit like mithral armor) they're sure to keep, it's also probably going to be the only one they get with enhancement points. And it will be a plot hook anyway.

>>49815786
Just play a fucking monk if you want a weeb mindwarrior goddammit
>>
File: PZO9034-Nuckelavee.jpg (65KB, 1000x953px) Image search: [Google]
PZO9034-Nuckelavee.jpg
65KB, 1000x953px
>>49810180
Nuckelavee
>>
>>49815786
Woah there friend, hold your horses.

I was just voicing the fact that it seems unlikely that WOTC is ever going to create a system for trading items, since you can just as easily sell them for gold based on the guidelines for prices. Plus can you imagine the work involved in making a balanced trading system considering the numerous and varied items (also given that a majority of items tend to be homebrewed)?

>>49815827
ooh thanks for this anon, hadn't seen this before
>>
NEW THREAD >>49815911

NEW THREAD >>49815911

NEW THREAD >>49815911
>>
>>49815901
Np, it's a useful PDF. I like how they put things into categories and even said that stuff that breaks bounded accuracy or gives wishes would be something nobody in their right mind would ever sell. I like Mask of the Betrayer, but BUYING a belt of storm giant strength rubs me in all the wrong ways.
>>
>>49809183
I recognize that campaign image you faggot.
>>
>>49809183
My GM literally created this image yesterday holy shit wat
>>
>>49809183
WHAT IS A MAN?
>>
>>49812661
ALWAYS make Gimli <3
>>
>>49809183
has anyone come up with some ideas to improve the champion archetype? Thanks
>>
For a Valor Bard, would it be more important to start with 16 CHA or DEX?
>>
>>49812439
Neither. Stuff doesn't stack in 5e, except for in a small number of cases where it explicitly says so, and in those cases, they either say hoe or make the DM figure it out.

You're gonna have weakness, resistance, or nothing, no gradients thereof.
>>
>>49816882

Unless you're playing a humie, there's no reason for you not to have both.

If you are Resilient (Con) as your starting feat, but take CHA as your sixteen anyway. You're a full caster baby, and almost all of your spells have saves.

Not to mention, the more charisma you have, the more inspiration rolls you can pull out
>>
Is the Assassin Rogue an acceptable character for play, or is it the rather garbage rogue of the classes?
>>
>>49817159

Assassin is fine.

The trio of shit in 5e are the Wot5e Monk / PHB Beastmaster / Bladelock.
>>
>>49813935

I helped a new player make a bard for our campaign and he's the descendant of a bard who wanted to popularize a new style of music called drum and bard. He joined us on our quest because if he becomes a famous hero that tells everyone our tale, people will care. He's a halfing that is meant to resemble danny devito.
>>
>>49813390
3rd party stuff is very commonly used in 5e, I can assure you that you would find something fitting what you want if you looked hard enough into it. For 1st party stuff you'll just have to wait until the full mystic is released, then you have your concept more concretely created. The mystic is currently in playtest and only has 10 levels.
Thread posts: 330
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.