[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 408
Thread images: 35

File: lok-du-1sky-city.jpg (459KB, 1680x1232px) Image search: [Google]
lok-du-1sky-city.jpg
459KB, 1680x1232px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

> Encounter Building - Unearthed Arcana | October 2016
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/Encounter_Building.pdf

Previously on 5th Edition General >>49809183

Thread Question:
What are some instances of your party barely surviving a TPK? What went wrong and how did you manage to survive?
-OR-
What type of campaigns/settings would you like to play in but have not yet been able to?
>>
>>49815911
>What are some instances of your party barely surviving a TPK?
Four gibbering mouthers and a roper. The roper kept dragging them closer and the mouthers' difficult terrain aura and confusion aura (plus the massive damage they can do) caused some serious hurt. It was also the first session we did with Roll20's dynamic lighting so everyone was freaking out.

It was fantastic and super-memorable despite going on forever.
>>
>>49815744
That guide is inaccurate.

By its logic, a +1 plate armour is at most 500gp, and it still only provides a range of prices.

The problem with haggling is after a few times it gets kinda timewastey and sometimes a player might feel pressured into taking a bad deal just because they don't want to delay things anymore.

I ran a game with a good wealth of magical items (though generally not very powerful magical items) and trading was taking way too long.

>>49815827
That's actually pretty good.
>+1 armor: 1500gp
Oh, come on, really?
>>
>>49815911
>Surviving a TPK

I was in a party of a bard, wizard, monk, and a paladin(me).

We were around level three at the time playing Out of the Abyss and our DM decided to throw a bulette at us. It did it's leap attack at us and nearly one shot the bard and wizard after they failed their save rolls, while I took a decent chunk of damage after succeeding. I compelled dueled it and allowed the casters to get away while the monk punched it and I threw my smites at it. I was getting pretty close to death so I decided to just say fuck it and downed the mystery potion we got. Turns out it was a growth potion, allowing me to grapple it and stopping it from attacking any more.

The fucking bard killed it with some cantrip that did 1d4 at the end, so the battle was very anti-climactic.
>>
File: daehun-park-18.jpg (182KB, 1197x1000px) Image search: [Google]
daehun-park-18.jpg
182KB, 1197x1000px
>>49815911
>What type of campaigns/settings would you like to play in but have not yet been able to?

Been asking my DM whether a seafaring/pirate adventure is at all possible and he's got one in the works so I'm pumped about that! Gonna roll me up a swashbuckler for the high seas.
>>
Are warlocks OP? My party's warlock just turned level 4 and he's the most consistent damage dealer in the party, he always has a spell to get around the DM's traps and obstacles, and he has an imp that recons areas before he goes in so he always knows what to expect. I'm a fighter and theirs also a wizard and a druid, but the warlock is always stealing the show.
>>
>>49816138
The other players are probably just shit.

Warlock's one of the weaker classes, I'd say. Fun and flavourful, but not powerful.
>>
>>49816158
Warlock is definitely not weak, it just plays more like a ranged fighter than a spellcaster.

Just standing back there and dishing out damage with eldritch blast and throwing out hex or smth when appropriate.
>>
>>49816138
Warlocks are certainly not "OP". A warlock's invocations and other utility features are the main draw to the class so expect them to have something up their sleeve for most occasions.

Also having access to the best cantrip in the game would be another reason. It seems that the DM isn't actively trying to challenge the party since he can easily do away with the Imp, and some decent planning could easily counter the warlock's abilities. However do remember that you are at a low level so the difficulty is going to get higher from here and that it's not a "game to be won" by the players.
>>
Is there any Homebrew Eldritch/Lovecraft stuff that would work with 5e?

My players love that kinda shit so I was gonna try to squeeze a bit in to the next session.
>>
>>49816315
There's some vanilla old god stuff, there's abominations, someone last thread I think statted elder brains, if you're okay with shit like MtG, there's homebrews of Innistrad and some titan shit.
>>
>>49816214
Never said they were weak, but they're in the weaker realms when other classes have abilities like never fucking dying (barbarian/druid), having fucktonnes of spells all the time (bard/wizard), really useful team-helping effects (Paladin/cleric)...

Warlocks are good at being consistently good regardless of spells left unlike wizard and regardless of enemy resistances because force damage, but they don't particularly excel at much unless you make a warlock firing line and run and gun knockback eldritch blasts at everything.

Moon druid and barbarian at those levels get to never fucking die.
Monks stun things endlessly.
Wizards and Bards are going to have a load more spells they can save up for later in the day, much more variety to choose from, etc. Cleric and paladins have better team support abilities.

There are some neat things invocations can provide, but I wouldn't say there's anything really special aside from pushing enemies around a bit and the eldritch blast being a pretty solid damage dealing spell that doesn't require any input beyond 2 levels in warlock.

I'd say you're sort of right about it being like a ranged fighter, but it trades survivability for magic tricks.
>>
>>49816434
Yeah at lower levels warlocks are indeed on the weaker end of classes, but it really evens out after that.

Moon druids aren't that impressive beyond level 5 and barbarians are just straight up useless once enemies use certain spells or ranged attackers.
>>
>>49815911
>What type of campaigns/settings would you like to play in but have not yet been able to?

I so badly want to play in a game based around Hindu and Buddhist mythologies.

Sort of writing a campaign around it right now. I've added a dash of Gnosticism, and couched it all in a Spelljammer-esque universe, but i'm reconsidering that. I'm not sure yet.
>>
File: Warlock_Matt-Cavotta.jpg (114KB, 400x691px) Image search: [Google]
Warlock_Matt-Cavotta.jpg
114KB, 400x691px
>>49816434
Don't forget the versitility that being able to switch out spells and invocations at each level provides. If the campaign takes a turn you weren't expecting, then you can level up and switch out your slots to fit the new situation. That's a nice perk.
>>

Spelljammer. Trying to attach some spelljammy stuff to my collaborative homebrew setting.
>>
>>49816566
I dunno, I'd say it's still mediocre at later levels. Mediocre at all levels, really. Still pretty unique, but mediocre.

Moon druids still at least have spells, but honestly I can't comment since I barely even consider the druid's existence half the time
It's a freak of nature, almost as bad as ranger to me. Too much focus on turning into animals just for free HP.

Barbarians get sucky later level upgrades, so you multiclass and wreck shit instead.

>>49816690
If I recall correctly the only caster who can't switch out their spells on level up / all the time is the wizard, and they get so many spells it's not even funny anyway.

Warlocks don't have quite as big of a spell list, but the invocations are kind of interesting. Agonizing blast is going to occupy one of your slots, and then you probably might switch the things around a bit but it's not likely to be too game-changing, just 'oh, darkness isn'tvery useful now, I'm getting rid of devil's sight' or 'oh, I don't really get hurt much so I'll swap out at-will false life for something else'

There are some nice things there, though.
At-will silent image isn't super powerful, but can be fun if given the chance. The pushback has potential for tactics, pact of the tome gives versatility and familiars can be applied to good effect.

I'd say bard/wizard is still better in versatility, though.
>>
>>49815911
Near TPKs? There was the time my PCs walked into an obvious ambush, despite having every precaution they could have taken and every reason not to trust the man leading them there.

They survived only by incredible luck, since their tactics weren't great either.
>>
>>49815911
I had a PPK only because the party was split, does that count?
>>
>>49816633
You know, I've had half a mind to create some sub-classes based on Hindu Mythology since it's such an underrated and even unknown source of fascinating lore.
>>
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bgmFRaBwP3CP5Oh8f4totWN27-xnuL2q_LYYDLYqzKo/edit
Can I get any advice on what do I spend my feat on?
>>
>>49816919
Sure! What led to the party splitting up and what caused the PPK?
>>
>>49815911
The first LMoP encounter with the goblins by the cart was the closest we ever got to a TPK. Our fighter, wizard, and cleric got KO'd and my moon druid had one HP left that he fixed with Cure Wounds.

He revived the Cleric, had him help stabilize and stack the two other party members in the cart, and turned into a horse to drag the cart to the town.
>>
>>49816934
Healer Feat comes to mind
>>
>>49816934
Alert is always a solid choice. War Caster and Sharp shooter are also solid choices considering your build
>>
>>49816941
It was Curse of Strahd. The party left their sorceror to drink in the Blue Water Inn with Ismark while Rictavio took the rest to Blinsky's. They got accosted by Izek and they distracted him enough for Ireena to run off before they split into random directions themselves.

Eventually the ranger and sorcerer met back up and went to track down the others to gather at the church, only for Izek to find them trying to sneak by and Izek and some guards killed them.

I will say I buffed him to match the DMG math better, but even so he only stomped them because they were split.
>>
>>49816934
I played a build that was almost exactly the same as yours, and I took War Caster. The Alert feat isn't too bad either. Don't listen to the other anon though, Healer is pretty shit.
>>
I saw a post on >reddit the other day about a guy who started playing DND with just 1 other player. Anybody have experience doing this? I have the starter set but getting a group together to play it is a pain in the ass with real life and whatnot getting in the way. Is it feasible to DM a single player adventure or to DM and be a player at the same time?
>>
>>49817216
Yes, I've done it twice. I gave my player a party of NPCs that he didn't control out of combat, but controlled fully in combat, just like in dem Bioware RPGs.
>>
>>49817015
>>49817123
Resilient with con saving throws would probably be pretty good too, but I think War Caster is more effective earlier on.
>>
>>49817230
Huh, that actually sounds pretty nifty. I could have my friend make his own character and then have the premades from the starter set be the NPC party members. Might try this out, the only big complication I could see is roleplaying multiple party members alongside all the adventure NPCs but I could figure it out.
>>
>>49817123
Healer is decent if you don't want to spend your precious spell slot on getting your partys hp up on the go.

But then again our group is playing with the "gritty realism" rules, where long rest requires a few days and a short rest is a nights sleep, so results may vary.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (8KB, 253x199px)
images (1).jpg
8KB, 253x199px
I was thinking about homebrewing a pact for the warlock that lets you summon a common or uncommon wonderous item with a 1 hour ritual. It would be a lot like the blade pact mechanically, but it would by a relic from your patron. Then adding a level 9 invocation that lets you summon rare wonderous items too. Would this be balanced?
>>
>>49817323
What's to stop you from just summoning a different common or uncommon item every day? Seems OP as fuck to me.
>>
>>49817367
You can only summon an item once per long rest and only one item at a time. It can only be a wonderous item, so no swords or armor.
>>
>>49815911
Two near TPKs: Party was fighting a mage. They are all level 6 the party is a warlock, bard, barb. The three of them for some fucking reason all go stand in front of mage who proceeds to cast cone of cold. Two go down (barb, warlock), bard lives with 2 HP.

Bard proceeds to heal the barbarian with a healing word cast at 2nd level and a potion (I let him use his action to do that). Bard goes down, Barbarian kills mage with a lucky crit.

The second, they awaken two flame skulls by triggering a Lich's trap (all three are level 6), first one casts fireball it's counterspelled. Second one does... the bard dies out the gate. The other two go down with the last flameskull being alive with 2 HP. However they had a weak skeleton under their control who ends up killing the flameskull. All three make their death saves and manage to be come stable, gaining 1 HP a few hours later and regaining conciousness.
>>
Swashbuckler with Initiate (for Vicious Mockery, Prestidigitation and probably Faerie Fire), bad idea or good idea
>>
>>49817323
Sounds pretty decent. You may want to look through the DMG and pick out whatever items you want, then put it in a table for the PC to roll on? That way you can make sure that it cant be exploited
>>
>>49817479
Nothing wrong with it, other than.... Why not just go Valor Bard?
>>
What's the best fighting style and path to choose for paladin?
>>
>>49817722
>best
there really isn't an objective best build. Depends on what your role in the party is - DPS/Tank? Oath of Vengeance is typically seen as stronger if you want to be more offensive and do more damage.
>>
How do I do a good chase?

I want my players to have to run from something they can't possibly beat.

Other than straight up telling them they're gonna die if they try to fight, how can I convey how fucked they are if they don't get the hell out of there?
>>
>>49817793
maybe introduce a NPC that's obviously a higher level than them hauling ass away from the thing?
>>
>>49817479
Okay idea, but it might be better to go sorcerer and grab GFB or BB, because rogues.
>>
I've recently rolled up a (Stout) Halfling Fighter in a fairly large party.

Instinctively I feel like I should go Dex fighter, but we've got a Monk, Ranger, and Rogue. Apparently none of them are ranged, which is weird, but we also have a Warlock so I'm not exactly concerned about consistent ranged damage.

Should I just go with Dex because I'll be able to fill my role well, or will I be that fucked if I go with a Strength-based small fighter?
>>
>>49815911
The dice gods intervened and saved our lvl 1 party with the power of opera. Pretty good session overall
>>
>>49816633
This anon here.

The basic premise is that all the gods are dead, and the many races and beings left in their stead are free to roam and rule their empty domains.

I haven't decided whether this exploration is done in a more space-way like Spelljammer, or a more portals way like Planescape. Which makes more sense/is more evocative fitting the Hindu/Buddhist aesthetic?
>>
>Party finds out last session they will be going up against a fearsome lightening mage this week that calls lightening bolts from the sky to strike foes
>They go out and buy rubber booties for all their PCs and NPCs

How do I work with this? Would that even work? How the fuck does magic lightening, let alone normal lightening actually work. Fuck.
>>
What sounds cooler to you guys

Berserker samurai who wanders the world slaying evil and righting wrongs of his own accord.

or

Traveling Samurai-Paladin of Torm who uses the divine power granted to him to bring evil to the light and to help those who cant help themselves.
>>
>>49817323
That actually sounds really cool, imo. Can you post it here when you actually write it up? I'd like to see it. It almost has an... artificer-y type feel.
>>
A player is interested in buying magic items from a shady sorceror, any interesting items with a downside, curse or funny malfunctions he could offer?
>>49816223
>>49816158
>>49816138
DM here how can I play around a warlock?
Force damage immunity? Killing their familiar? force them to spend their spell slots?.
>>
>>49818139
Neither weeb-sama.
>>
>>49816069
>gapping stopped it attacking
Wut?
>>
>>49816434
>4th level monk
>stunning anything
Also
>endlessly
You mean as long as they have ki, right?
>>
>>49818286
Warlocks suffer if put under heavy pressure where eldritch blast becomes less effective. While a familiar reconning is powerful the familiar is not omnipotent and won't catch everything or will die if they go somwhere too dangerous.

So for example if you have your warlock get surrounded on an ambush by Goblins or Spiders or some shit they can go down fast.
>>
>>49817793
As much as I dislike angry gm his system for chases is good
>>
>>49817915
You won't be fucked, it's just not optimal.
If they're all melee I'd go ranged, obviously with a dex weapon as backup.
>>
>>49816049
>Oh, come on, really?

Price of a plate, I guess.

Though I saw the tag on an Instruments of The Bards and cried all night
>>
>>49818099
If they aren't buying faraday suits, then treat it as normal. Robber soles mean shit. Where are they even getting rubber anyway? Also, what poorly thought up excuse did they make as to why they are buying it despite not possibly knowing rubber is non-conductive?
>>
>>49818099
That's actually kind of funny
Don't think rubber boots will hold up against that kind of magic though, it's like saying you should get acid resistance from wearing a lab coat
>>
>>49818099
Have it so the booties only protect them from lightning bolts to the feet.
>>
File: 40 chuckles.png (106KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
40 chuckles.png
106KB, 292x257px
I need help with a special encounter I'm creating for my party, based off of something I read on /tg/ a long time ago.

The base idea is they're going to investigate a pretty much abandoned village that nobody has returned from, rumored to be haunted. They're going to find the place completely empty and ruined, save for one building in perfect condition, an Inn full of patrons.

I'm going to have a sentient inn try to eat them by convincing them to go into the basement (it's mouth/stomach I guess?) to kill rats for a big reward..

Any help with pulling this off?
>>
>>49818590
make the bartender puppet/doll like, full on uncanny valley. Anything the house is saying should come off as broken english almost. describe acidic smells, the air is damp, etc.
>>
So a discussion came up today during my game and I couldn't find any quick answers

does a Bear Totem barbarian's damage resistance stack with the half damage he takes on a successful save vs a breath attack?

we were fighting two chimeras which hit for a nasty 7d8 and using danger sense + totem resistance I was able to reduce ~70 damage to a measly 16. meanwhile our 22AC goliath fighter was deep fried

I figure it's two completely different effects (one is a half-dodge, the other is damage resistance) so all's fair but he disagreed
>>
what does ppk and tpk stand for?
>>
>>49818590
That's hilarious, though you should give them a chance to notice the trick before they're in its stomach.

What sort of help do you need? Advice, new ideas?

One idea is to have the innkeep be the sentient inn's 'brain', if it's truly a giant creature like a mimic.

Another is that the patrons / innkeep are all magically controlled by the inn, which they kill by attacking its vital organs that are disguised as various parts of the inn.

>>49818700
I'd assume they mean partial / total party kill, where most of / the entire group of main characters dies.
>>
>>49818700
Partial / Total Party Kill
TPK = whole group dies
PPK = some / most of group dies
>>
>>49818693
Resistances of the same type don't stack, but effects like that (evasion I think?) are different.
Resistance means you're resistant to the actual damage, the save for half thing means you're good at dodging it
>>
>>49818693
>does a Bear Totem barbarian's damage resistance stack with the half damage he takes on a successful save vs a breath attack?
Yes. If you pass and are resistant you take 1/4th damage.
>>
>>49818693

it is two different effects

succeeding a saving throw against an effect like fireball doesn't give you resistance to fire damage, it says it flat out halves the damage

two sources of resistance don't do shit, but two sources of different damage mitigation stack
>>
>>49818289
It's gotta be weeb though, DM is running some sort of edo period themed world.
>>
>>49818632

Yeah this sounds pretty good. I was originally thinking it'd be using illusion magic, but it basically having parts of its body act as lures like an angler fish seems way cooler.

>>49818720

Oh yeah. I want it to be pretty obvious that something's wrong, I'm not trying to kill them for no good reason.

I'm basically up for any advice/ideas you have.

Does the Inn have some sort of other way of trying to eat my party when the ridiculously obvious bait fails? Are the patrons inside another puppet/part of its body, or thralls to help capture more prey?
>>
What are some good zombie encounters? I'm going full-Night of the Living Dead on these bitches.
>>
>>49818814
What's your party level?
>>
>>49818769
parts of the furniture are sticky to contact. All the chairs and tables rock back and forth but dont squeak or click. No fire in the hearth, but the building is very warm. describe the roof being leaky, for which an employee apologizes but its not raining

Afterwards, have a knowing patrons be like "ye, that bar be a mimic, but it orders the best brandy"
>>
>>49818876

Sticky furniture and the leaky roof is awesome man, thanks for the ideas!

I think I'm gonna make it like a Sarlaac pit too, the missing people are still alive, just being digested very slowly.
>>
Hey so quick question for you gents, any idea how the Jackalwere's Sleep Gaze can work? Is it just popping it off for free every turn or should it take an action? The stat-block doesn't mention that
>>
>>49819052
Yes, it does mention it.
It's listed under "Actions" for a reason.
>>
>>49815911
>What are some instances of your party barely surviving a TPK? What went wrong and how did you manage to survive?

We went into a demon filled cave and got swarmed by cultists and suicide bomber imps that blew my Cleric, our Bard, our Paladin, and nearly the rest of the party to bits. The other two members were mostly fine since the paladin and I were meat shields I eventually got rezzed by the demon lord himself as a Warlock secretly serving him, the paladin refused his deal and was killed instantly, and our bard also made a deal to serve him. Game died sadly before the Bard and I could do any real shenanigans. Wouldn't have ended so badly if our Ranger player wasn't running around like a chicken with its head cut off doing nothing.
>>
>>49818099
Firstly, rubber was only discovered in the late 18th century and wasn't widely produced until the late 19th century, and its properties as an electrical insulator were probably not widely known until a while after that time.

Secondly, while rubber may protect you from small shocks, a lightning bolt is (obviously) generated by a voltage gradient steep enough to ionise the air all the way from the sky to the ground, so the tiny step between the top of the rubber sole and the ground would be nothing.

Thirdly, it's magical lightning so who knows what kind of rules it follows. A Wizard can cast lightning radiating directly out from them in a straight line, parallel to the ground! Clearly magic doesn't care about silly things like voltage gradients and paths of least resistance.

So while your players' ingenuity is admirable, their plan probably shouldn't work.
>>
File: image.jpg (522KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
522KB, 1242x2208px
Anyone got the rest of the Goodman Games 5E modules?
>>
>>49818952
Have a fat woman in the basement saying she's not trapped there, she's just trying to lose a few pounds.
>>
hey /5eg/, I want to stop my players from leaving town on this one specific road, so I need a good monster for a random encounter that level one players will avoid, to make sure they don't go down that road
>>
>>49819430
Rust monster. They don't want their precious weapons and armor destroyed.
>>
>>49819430
A balor
>>
>>49819430

Have some high level bandits/corrupt guards or whatever blockading the road and demanding an unreasonably high toll.
>>
>>49819430
Dragon of whatever size, say that it makes its lair there.

More importantly, why are you trying to stop them from leaving town that way?
>>
>>49819508
>why are you trying to stop them from leaving town that way?
i don't have the town fully planned out yet, so i just need a quick way to stop them from accessing that unfinished area

>>49819498
i'll probably go for a group of gaurds, since after they finish this one dungeon, they'll probably be able to get a local noble to vouch for them, or just pay the fine next session when i have the town fully set up
>>
>>49819552
Guards are the best option because they don't even need to be strong enough to fight the party (although a level one party could easily die to the PHB guards). They could just be there under order of the Duke/Earl/Baron/King to prevent travellers from going along that road for whatever reason. Or else there's a toll, or the guards are corrupt as mentioned before - although corrupt guards generally means corruption higher up, so you have to decide whether that's something you want hanging about.
>>
How is 5e Monk? I want to play Sun soul monk, but coming from 3.pf... being a monk is suffering.
>>
>>49819612
They are a lot better. Unsure how strong sun soul is since I never saw one in action, but as long as is not vanilla Wot4E you should be fine.
>>
>>49816934
You're a light cleric. Get elemental adept:fire
>>
>>49819655
>>49819602
sun soul is nice for having easy radiant damage and for having a range option that isnt tied to ammo. otherwise its still a monk. and the class is fairly solid
>>
>>49819612
Much stronger than 3.x, slightly weaker than 4e.

They're a solid choice, trading straight damage for defence, mobility and utility. Works best skirmishing around a more conventional melee fighter, especially in the case of the Sun Soul.

They do have one trap option, Way of the Four Elements, which is one of the worst subclasses in the game - Open Palm is probably mechanically the 'best' but Sun Soul is plenty strong and has good options thanks to its ranged basic attacks.
>>
Does anyone else wish Wizards cared about 5e as much as Paizo cares about pathfinder?
>>
What would the Planescape setting be like if all the Powers were dead?
>>
>>49819612
As the man who's monk autism drove him to make countless charts comparing the DPR of all the classes, I'd say they're pretty powerful. They're damage is a decent bit lower than the other major damage classes but they have an answer to damn near anything. You can't cheese a monk out of a fight, you have to fight him square and just HP damage him down. This was true in 3.X as well but Monk's damage in that was laughable at best while in 5e they're much closer, if not equal depending on how valuable mobility is on a given fight.

The only real concern I have is the lack of scaling with magical items, there really aren't that many for Monk. Fighters can get a +3 weapon, +3 shield, +3 armor and still have 3 attunement slots while the Monk can only get a +3 weapon but then has to spend attunement to get a +2 or +1 to AC, much less powerful items.

Overall I've enjoyed my time with them, speaking as a Monk fanboy from 3.X.
>>
>>49819778
No, I'm very much glad Wizards don't 'care' like Paizo does
>trying_to_flip_mouse_into_hand.jpg
>>
>>49819655
>>49819672
>>49819699
Guess I'll go for it. Just to be sure... Spell sniper doesn't increase my sun soul attack range right?
>>
>>49819778
No, if they so horribly overbloated and "fixed" it that it became even worse than it originally was while constantly fellating a trash setting and a collection of trash waifu NPcs I would be quite upset.
>>
>>49819807
>>trying_to_flip_mouse_into_hand.jpg
I'm sorry, what is this?
>>
>>49819819
Only the second benefit, you are not casting a spell when you are punching sunlight at people, but you are making a ranged spell attack.
>>
>>49817722
If you want to be the biggest bro then Oath of Devotion with either the Protection or +1 AC Fighting Style, the former if you've got a fellow frontliner and the latter if you're pretty much a solo melee fighter.

If you want to be one of the best single-target damage dealers in the game, then Oath of Vengeance with either Dueling as a fighting style or GWF. Alternatively, i like putting a one/two level Fighter dip for the Two Weapon Fighting and Action Surge features, respectively. It lets you deal respectable damage with the bonus action attack, and you can take the feat for increased damage output and AC. If you combine it with the +1 AC Fighting Style from the paladin, you've got the same bonus as a shield and your damage output is pretty big.
>>
>in some kind of giant wizard's tower
>Elemental Evil assholes show up
>dump some kind of invisible air elemental on our faces
>party Wizard down to one HP, Cleric double-critted in the same round by elemental asshole and down
>throw a pound of saffron into the elemental
>saffron swirls around and everyone can see it now
>it lifts up our Ranger and slams him into the wall, flying overhead out of melee range
>throw a torch into it, crit, and set the thing on fire
Fighters are best class
>>
>>49819856
In an effort to nerf weapon cords, which allow you to free action drop your weapon and then grab it back with a swift action I believe, they tried to practice the realism of it by tying computer mice to their wrists with the cord then trying to flip them into their hands as a means to measure how difficult/time intensive it was.

They determined the action as it was, swift or what have you, was much too short for an adventurer of any stripe to accomplish and they bumped it up a level to standard or something.

The silliness being they were basing what heroic individuals beyond mortal peak were able to do on what they were able to do. Generously, they are an average specimen of man in this day and age not having the dexterity or skill of an adventurer of any level, let alone a level 20 with 40 Dexterity.
>>
>>49819933
Dude, are you implying that nerds who sit around playing games all days aren't dextrous as fuck? Imagine, if you will, the amount of times a die has landed at the edge of the table without falling off. That, my friend, is PURE SKILL.
Ah, but no, those guys sound stupid. Actually, hold on, do they have a quickdraw feat? Can they quick draw the weapon on the cord even if corded weapons, according to them, can't be drawn swiftly/whatever?
>>
>>49819933
That post is just a funny meme, the guy who made the initial post in the screenshot later posted that it was a joke--and it obviously was, people are stupid but not *that* stupid.
>>
>>49819778
No, not at all.
>>
>>49819983
I don't know man, I'm half-remembering it from when I used to play PF and got angry about this sort of thing. All I have left now are feelings of slight bitterness towards Sean K. Reynolds for fucking over Monks so hard.
>>
>>49819983
That's what Paizo staff base martial own. If their ugly fat unfit nerd ass can't do it, then a professional who been training for at least 5 years can't do it either.
>>
>>49819999
Yet it lines up with a lot of the design philosophy they have regarding non-casters. Level 20 non-casters are still bound by all the same rules as you or I and are barely superhuman.

While casters fly around rewriting reality because "it's magic lol it'd be silly to put rules on it!"
>>
Although their design process and the way they handle things need work, I would love to have 3 books of classes, 5 bestiaries, and a ton of adventures. I know it took awhile for them to get to this point but I feel like there's barely anything for 5e and it's been what 2ish years now?
>>
More monk question. How do I regain Ki during shortrest? Is the "30 minute of meditation" just a fluff, or is there a mechanical reason behind it?
>>
>>49820125
Yeah you'll need to spend 30 minutes at last meditating and not doing appreciable amounts of stuff. You could probably fluff the meditation as any number of things that aren't useful in and of themselves.
>>
>>49820125
you sad you can't RP your monk hitting on the female party members?
>>
>>49820111
> want bloat class options
That is agianst 5e core design.
> want tons of AP
70% of the those AP suck (too easy, giving player no clue or foreshadow, fill with author magical realm) and need work from GM to make it good, which kinda destroy the whole purpose of having AP.
>>
>>49820152
>>49820153
Oh I just confused whether those 30 minute are in addition to shortrest time.
>>
>>49820190
What it means is that 30 minutes of your short rest need to be used meditating. Most people don't do shit during their short rests, they just sit there or eat or something, but there are light activities one can do while still technically resting. Like, say, keeping watch for your party or making waffles.
>>
File: bear pelt.jpg (275KB, 1600x1572px)
bear pelt.jpg
275KB, 1600x1572px
How do I find character art? I need something for a bard with medium length black hair
>>
>>49821067

pinterest
>>
>>49821067
character art threads on /tg/
>>
Is monk still bad at utility? Fighter get more ASI, which mean more feats or mental stat. Rogue get expertise. What do Monk get for out of combat utility?
>>
>>49821281
Exploring stuff. Their stats and lack of armor encourage stealthy exploration, and their movement speed means they generally don't have trouble getting away from fights they might blunder into.

Anything else though, like social game, they don't really get to contribute much due to their dependency on at least three attributes to do anything in combat.
>wis for DCs and not dying
>dex for not dying and doing damage
>con for not dying

They don't leave you with much room for other stats.

Shadow monk is extremely good for stealthy stuff. Open hand is just combat, and Wot4E is hot garbage.
>>
File: Beatrice.jpg (7MB, 3056x4075px)
Beatrice.jpg
7MB, 3056x4075px
I'm looking at 5e thinking about running a campaign, but most of my experience is with 3.5 so I have a couple of questions.

Will anything break if I tear out alignments?

What if there are no other planes, gods, fiends or elementals?(Except maybe the Ethereal plane)

And if there's no afterlife?

Can I make a pixie wizard?
>>
Are there any sites out there that will generate character concepts for you?
>>
>>49821470
http://whothefuckismydndcharacter.com/
>>
File: where has my life gone so awry.jpg (188KB, 551x626px) Image search: [Google]
where has my life gone so awry.jpg
188KB, 551x626px
>>49821455
>alignments
WOTC did that already.
>no planes, gods, fiends, elementals
I guess you lose out on some monster options, and you have to explain how some spellcasters get their magic.
>no afterlife
Cry alot, buy a fedora.
>Pixie Wizard
No (official) Pixie race, at least that I'm aware of. Look to homebrew.
>>
>>49821479
Thanks anon
>>
Hey /5eG/! I'm working on putting together a good Halfling Paladin build, but I'm looking for some feedback on the smartest way to go about it.

The Halfling's natural +2 to DEX combined with the Lightfoot's +1 to CHA make it really tempting to put the 14 in DEX (for finesse weapons) and the 15 in CHA to get them both up to 16 and start with a +3 in both, but I have a bit of a hangup on where I should be putting the rest of the stat array.

Theoretically, I need a 13 in my STR in order to war the chainmail that the Paladin gets without taking a -10 to my movement speed, but I'm kind of hesitant to have both WIS and INT so low. I'd pretty much need to make WIS the 10 and INT the 8 in order to make sure I have at least +1 towards my max HP. I was hoping for a way to make my WIS a bit better than that, but that might have to be the thing I settle on for the sake of the rest of the build.

Is there a better way to approach the character, assuming I'm stuck with standard stat array?
>>
Am I misunderstanding or are Warlocks better ranged damagers than Archery martials?
>>
>>49821455
>Removing alignments
Technically already done. The only mechanical function they have is for NPCs these days, and only for spells like "Detect/Protection from Good and Evil"

>No planes, gods, fiends, elementals
Kinda dumb and removes some spells/class abilities, but nonetheless fine.

>No afterlife
Remove resurrection spells, nbd.

>Can I make a pixie wizard
DMG should let you work the Pixie from MM into a playable race.
>>
>>49821607
sharpshooter and archery style say hi
>>
>>49818099

>lightening
>>
>>49821607

warlocks don't have force multipliers like fighting styles, maneuvers, improved crits, or other stuff like feats that affect their attacks (sharpshooter)
>>
>>49821543
You dont need to worry about str if you have 16 dex, wear some medium armor for now and eventually upgrade to studded leather once your dex is at 20. Dumping Int is fine for a paladin, just make sure you don't have Wis below 10 since it's a widely used stat for skill checks and important saves.
>>
>>49821455
>Will anything break if I tear out alignments?
Not really, anything that detects, protects, or damages in relation to inherit alignment is more related to creature type (fiends, celestials, and the sort) rather than if they are good or evil in alignment.

>What if there are no other planes, gods, fiends or elementals?(Except maybe the Ethereal plane)
Some of the spells, items, and prebuilt adventures assume there is such things but I'm going to guess you have your own setting lined up. If so just ignore or change in the rules what you want.

>And if there's no afterlife
Does that make resurrection type spells stop working or spells that involves interacting with spirits or the dead work differently or not at all?

>Can I make a pixie wizard?
Nothing immeadiately but they have stats for pixies in the monster manual, so if you are ok with a bit of homebrew and some guesswork then the world is yours.

While I did enjoy the rough psuedo simulation of 3.5 with its cornucopia of options and jank, changing to 5e with its paired down more gamey ruleset was not a rough transition.
>>
File: 1450156089940.jpg (178KB, 700x1036px) Image search: [Google]
1450156089940.jpg
178KB, 700x1036px
>>49821455
>Pixies
You know, I was hoping we'd get them in Volo's, but there's been no mention and I imagine that's something they'd love to make a spoiler and selling point of.

How do you balance a race like that? 4e had them later on, but I've only heard some offhand remarks about them being overpowered, though that may be due to the much more mechanically granular bollocks you could get into with 4e, where positioning was a huge thing and sitting in something else's square could be abused.
How could they scale? You'd want balance with martials and casters, but don't pixies/sprites/etc only do 1 damage with their weapons in the DMG? Granted, other tiny things have potent natural weapons like the imp's sting, but...
>>
>>49816315
Canonically, there's the Great Old One warlock pact and the various Aberrations.

There's a "Disciples of the Outer Gods" fan-splat floating around with some new Outer Gods subclasses for the Warlock and Druid.

Other than that... not sure.
>>
>>49821543
If you can point buy:
Lightfoot halfling
STR 8, DEX 16, CON 14, INT 8, WIS 12, CHA 16
Rapier is +5 to-hit, 1d8+3 dmg
Shield + Chain shirt gives 17 AC, 12 HP

If you can't point buy, CON 13, STR 10
>>
>>49819779
Um, pretty much the same as it already is? The big focus of Planescape is on the Factions, to my knowledge; the Powers are at best inscrutable "movers and shakers".

But, if they were alive but got killed off, you might see things like roving bands of suicidal faithful, a huge swell in the Athar faction in particular (and to a lesser extent to the factions in general), disruption amongst the servitor races as they try to figure out what to do with their bosses gone - more important on the Lawful planes than anything...

Oh! There would be complete and utter anarchy in the Nine Hells and on Mechanus.
>>
File: Creighton.jpg (191KB, 1280x900px)
Creighton.jpg
191KB, 1280x900px
>>49821755
I do have a setting I'm working on, yeah. It involves a big ol' tree that holds the sun in its branches, with roots that spread across the entire singular continent.

I'm debating whether I want any sort of resurrection stuff, I'm not a fan of it. I could totally justify it along with other magic that interacts with spirits and such in the setting though.
>>
>>49821799
My kneejerk thoughts would be something like "can only use weapons with the Light keyword, otherwise handle as Small", honestly.
>>
>>49821801

What are the other pacts for warlock because I heard there was 4 of them
>>
>>49822039
Great Old One, Fiend, Archfey and the Undying from SCAG.
>>
>>49822039

Satan ie Fiend
C'Thulu ie Great Old One
Mab ie Archfey
Hillary Clinton ie Lich
>>
yo /5eg/ tell me what happened in your last session
>>
>>49822039
Canon pacts? Fae, Fiend, Great Old One, and Undying (Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide) and the UA's Ghost in the Machine (magitek), Undying Light (light/fire spirit) and Seeker (some god of travel I know nothing about).
>>
File: 1464357355432.jpg (111KB, 1024x1012px)
1464357355432.jpg
111KB, 1024x1012px
>>49822095

I can't remember the last time I actually played.
>>
File: s-l400.jpg (15KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-l400.jpg
15KB, 400x300px
I already asked yesterday but didn't get many replies so I thought I's ask again. I want to play a cowardly wizard focused on self-preservation and running away while still being of use to the party. Some anon already suggested to use spells like sleep and I was thinking of using a familiar to deliver some spells to stay out of harms way. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Also, I'm fairly new to D&D and have never played a wizard before. What starting equipment should I get?
>>
>>49822181
Illusionist wizard so you can hide all the damn time.

For gear, make sure you get an arcane focus. Beyond that you're good with basic adventuring gear and clothing, really.
>>
>>49822181
be careful that you don't abandon your party too much, as it might cause frustration for the rest of the group.

Cowardice can be an interesting character flaw to play with, especially if your character eventually overcomes his fear.
>>
File: mage.jpg (81KB, 736x1324px)
mage.jpg
81KB, 736x1324px
>>49822181
Not specific to wizards, but get caltrops. Throw them on the ground as you run away, you dirty coward.
>>
>>49822181

Conjuration allows you for many types of Getaways

Illusion allows you for a MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN type of cowardice

Necromancy allows you for spells your scared of yourself

Abjuration allows you to do nothing but hide behind shields and wards

Enchantment allows you to spread waves of your own fear unto others
>>
>>49822095
PCs have entered Spelljammer territory, taking a job from an evil multi-planar corporation to check up on a weapons research lab that have gone dark.

They find the place crawling with mutants, demons, and other creatures and must bust out to collect their reward, and the bard or rogue might sell them all out for more gold.
>>
>>49822181
Ultimately, the things you're good at as wizard are up to what spells you pick. Each school is different and does different things.

Illusion is a good school to focus on for being cowardly because it's all about tricking people, giving you effects like Invisibility and Silent Image. Color Spray can be useful, too.

Abjuration is good for protecting yourself- Mage Armor(a must-have for any wizard) and Shield as examples- and others.

Enchantment is for manipulating minds- Charm Person, Suggestion, Sleep. Useful for controlling enemies- stop them from hurting you, or tell them to hurt their friends or something.

Evocation is direct damage; your party should be capable of this, though it can't hurt to have a little of your own. Magic Missile, Burning Hands, Scorching Rays.

Divination is about knowing stuff, mostly. Detect Magic, Scry. Detect Magic is particularly useful against magical traps and items.

Conjuration is about moving things and summoning stuff- this is where real evasiveness comes in, because teleportation effects are Conjuration spells. Stuff like misty step and dimension door. It also allows for summoning stuff to hide behind, and controlling the battlefield- Grease, Web. Conjuration is very versatile.

Necromancy is for telling enemies, 'Screw you and the life you rode in on'. Making things weaker, summoning skeletons, etc. I don't use it too often, because it doesn't tend to mesh well with the typical party, but Animate Dead and Blindness/Deafness are some cool spells.
>>
>>49822271
>Wizard just leaving dangerous objects everywhere
Wizards: No sense of right and wrong
>>
>>49822095
Our party found themselves in the underworld after falling into an underdark chasm. We picked through some crumpled dead bodies for scraps of armor and weapons until we figured out that they were our own corpses. Two party members started losing their shit from insanity, and suddenly there were ghostly revenants coming out of the walls, thirsting for our life energy.
We managed to fight them off, and discovered that the revenants had some magical items. A holy sword and shield that once belonged to a dead king. At that point we were approached by a skeletal priest who chuckled in amusement at our situation. He explained that the denizens of the underworld eventually go mad and become ravening spectres unless they can hang onto their vital essence. We would eventually fall to despair ourselves unless we could find hope and a reason to exist.
We asked him about an evil god that we had been searching for. A great one-eyed monster with hideous underlings who stole souls. He explained that he was no friend to that god, but he himself was forbidden to strike against him. He agreed to lead us to his lair.
>>
>>49822099

Unearthed Arcana?
>>
>>49822374
It's basically free additions to 5e for playtesting purposes, so that WotC doesn't totally fuck things up and release unbalanced bullshit. Usually you should ask your DM about using them.
>>
with the DM's guild and UA resources do you think WotC will revisit the core ruleset?

There's already been plenty of rebalancing and clarifications needed, so I wonder if 5.5 will be a thing someday
>>
>>49822341
On the way we passed through an underworld shantytown made of dilapidated wood and rusty pipes. The citizens were spirits of dead monsters and underdark critters who had built a magical gate out of mythril to keep out spectres. One of the gates had been torn down, and we helped the villagers fight off some shades and ghouls that were bubbling up from pools of black inky liquid that seeped from the cursed soil. We defeated some of them by shoving them into bubbling pits of liquid from which glowing steam was rising.
The villagers explained that a great pumping station built long ago provided vital energy that was pumped through ancient pipes that kept the villagers sane. But recently the flow from the pipes had slowed to a trickle, and the smith who normally maintained the mythril gates hadn't been seen in a while. The town critters were doing the best they could to ration the vital steam, but many of them had become desperate, and started buying soul crystals from the illithids and nothics. Soul gems are concentrated life energy and they act like a potent drug, and many of the villagers had gone mad trying to kill each other to get them.
>>
>>49822181

Take the Ray of Frost cantrip for slowing pursuers, and Blade Ward for defending yourself against attacks.

For 1st level spells, you have Shield and Mage Armor for direct defense, Thunderwave to push enemies away, Sleep/Grease/Tasha's Hideous Laughter to slow or stop enemies, Fog Cloud to conceal yourself, and Feather Fall/Expeditious Retreat/Jump/Longstrider to GTFO.

For being useful in a party, I'd recommend Sleep, Thunderwave, Feather Fall, either Fog Cloud or Grease, and either Shield or Mage Armor. Since none of these have 'touch' range, a familiar won't help you to deliver them.

For 2nd level spells, definitely take Invisibility, for obvious reasons. Blur, Gust of Wind, and Misty Step are also very good for this kind of character.

Once you get this far you should have a pretty good grasp on your character and be able to figure out later spells.

As for starting equipment, I would recommend quarterstaff, arcane focus, and the scholar's pack (considering your cowardly character probably wouldn't have an explorer's pack), then take either the Hermit or Sage background and the additional stuff from that.

Lastly, I'd suggest either the School of Abjuration (protection) or the School of Illusion as your Arcane Tradition. Abjuration would be flavored towards protection magic, while Illusion would be flavored towards tricking enemies in order to avoid harmful situations in the first place.

Hope you have fun with however your character ends up!
>>
>>49822418
It's doubtful that they will.

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/780859554947035136?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The most I could see is doing class variants like the revised ranger for the rest of the core classes, to make them more interesting overall, or variant rules that a DM can tack on to a game to fit game tone.
>>
>>49822390

Thanks
>>
>>49822449
hmm, it'd be nice to see it all contained in a book. I'd be interested to see what their approach would be.

I'd love to see some more class revisions though
>>
>>49822231
>>49822247
>>49822271
>>49822275
>>49822318
>>49822436
Thanks!! These suggestions are a lot of help. One question though; what does an arcane focus actually do? I can't seem to find it in the PHB.
>>
>>49822518
maybe I'm wrong but I think a focus satisfies the material component of a spell
>>
>>49822540
This. Arcane Foci replace spell component pouches for all non-costly material components. They're more convinient, unless you actually want to have bags of bat guano and pickled newt feet.
>>
What's the highest AC I can get by level 5 as a fighter. I'm STR/CON based (stats were rolled in order, can't help it). I'm assuming simply plate and shield, but should I be expecting some +1s from magic items about then?
>>
Whats the best way to play a two-weapon using character?
>>
>>49822579
Rogue
>>
>>49822558
There's no hard and fast rule for magic items, so a level 5 PC could conceivably have a +1 shield or armor or both.
>>
>>49822558
Take the Defense fighting style at level 1. Wear a shield. Get the heaviest armor you can afford. Without magic, you can have anywhere from 20 - 21 AC.

Also, there's feats to make you more resilient in just about every way. Heavy Armor Master, Tough, Resilient, etc.
>>
>>49822555
I think I'll go with that than even though carrying a bag of shit around seems to fit the character.
>>
hey i just make my first gunslinger.
anything i should change?
>>
Is a damage over time/ status effects build possible? Its only my second campaign and thought it might be fun
>>
File: Sorcerer_PHB5e.png (3MB, 1200x2197px) Image search: [Google]
Sorcerer_PHB5e.png
3MB, 1200x2197px
Thematically, what's the difference between a Wizard and a Sorcerer? Warlocks have a pretty distinct flavour with their pacts, they're like the Dr. Pepper to the Wizard/Sorcerer's Coke and Pepsi.

So, disregarding mechanics, what makes a sorcerer a sorcerer in a game of D&D. Why, if their magic is innate, do they have access to "spells"? Why the same spells? Do they name them like Wizards do?

Who came first?

Does a sorcerer identify themselves as a sorcerer?

Would a layman be able to tell the difference?

Are there more sorcerers among fey creatures like elves?

Do worlds with wizard academies accept sorcerers for training?

Mustn't wizards *also* have an innate ability with magic to be wizards? Or... couldn't everyone potentially be a wizard?

Is there enmity between the two?
>>
>>49822918
capitalize your I's and shit in general. Reread your backstory and fix the errors, or just redo the backstory in general
>>
>>49822983
>Thematically, what's the difference between a Wizard and a Sorcerer?
Wizards study magic and learn, like arcane scholars.

Sorcerers gain magic innately, by influence from outside resources--a zone of wild magic, a draconic ancestor or someone who made a deal with a dragon, or even a lightning storm or a portal to one of the elemental planes.

Everyone has innate magical potential, but sorcerers are far beyond just the *potential* to use magic, their power develops and grows stronger as they use it, like a muscle or extra limb.
>>
>>49819430
Rocks falling or your DMPC because after reading your post I'm pretty sure you have one
>>
>>49817915
>I've recently rolled up a (Stout) Halfling Fighter in a fairly large party.

Be careful you don't come up short.
>>
File: wizard.jpg (29KB, 353x494px) Image search: [Google]
wizard.jpg
29KB, 353x494px
>>49822983
sorcerers channel magic from the aether by ripping that shit out and flinging it like a hot bag of whoop ass. wizards channel magic by pulling out only what they need and saving it for later use.

so sorcerers are all in the moment wild and powerful, wizards are prior planning and well placed force

think yin sid from mickey mouse as a sorcerer and Merlin from the Disney movie as a wizard.
>>
>>49819699
>laughable at best
My 3.5 decisive strike monk psywar dealt 85 per hit on average and could make 12 hits per turn at 12th level. And he didn't have anything weird from obscure splats or dragon magazine
>>
>>49819612
I'm playing a Stout Halfling monk, and I'm having a blast. It's punchy flippy kicky fun.
>>
>>49822995
some of the spelling mistakes in the background where intentional. i wanted it to look like the character himself wrote that part. so you could get a better feel for who he was. more so than just reading the personality ideals, etc
>>
>>49822983
Most of that depends on your setting, but in general:
Sorcery probably came before Wizardly magic.
Sorcerers who are knowledgeable about such things might identify themselves as such.
Probably not.
Yes, fey creatures and creatures with strong innate magic like dragons have more sorcerers.
Possibly? Maybe to help them better control their powers.
Technically, anyone with the proper aptitude can be a wizard. It's not innate magic, just a capacity for learning.
Enmity depends on the setting.

Mechanically, Sorcerers can interact with magic on a more instinctual level, hence their use of metamagic. That's the more important distinction compared to their bloodlines (which can be likened to wizard schools, albeit from a different source).

If you prefer to separate the classes more, consider letting sorcerers use the spell point system on pages 288-289 of the DMG, adding their sorcery points to the spell points they have at each level. This is slightly more complex, but gives them a blot more flexibility in how they cast their known spells (compared to wizards who have much more flexibility in the spells they know, but cast them in a rigidly defined manner).
>>
>>49823008
or one of their distant relatives where dragons.
>>
>>49823008
Right, but what does that *mean*?
>>
>>49823122
What do you mean what does it mean?
>>
File: 160922.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
160922.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>49823122
lets think of what they are in terms of emotion.
a sorcerer is passion. no prep no thought just pure in the moment powerful and emotional.

wizards are capitulating (even though thats not an emotion) they apply what they have exactly as much as it needs to be applied and nothing more. they are cool calculating and they are cunning.
>>
>>49823164
i meant calculating not capitulating. my bad
>>
>>49823164
So... maybe a sorcerer casts magic with more flourish, or yelling? Maybe he literally just "flings* fireballs at people?

While a wizard must calmly recite the exact incantations he has memorized, while precisely performing the hand motions required to pull forth the magic effects he needs?
>>
>>49823189
Right! exactly now your getting it.
>>
>>49822983
>Thematically, what's the difference between a Wizard and a Sorcerer?
A wizard casts magic because they know ancient secrets of the workings of the world. They know the hidden names of the spirits that move creation and coax their power through ritual formula.

A sorcerer can use magic because he's a fucking dragon.
>>
Running CoS for a large (7) party so I am buffing Strahd

Think having him wear the Strahds Animated Armor for the final battle, and it detaches and attacks on its turn would be fun? It can reattach too
>>
Anons? Aspiring race-maker here; tell me, is this the most broken PC race you've ever seen?

http://yokai.com/itachi/

Itachi
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, +1 Strength
Size: Medium
Speed: 35 feet
Vision: Darkvision

Writhing Dancer: An itachi has Advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks. Additionally, it doubles its Proficiency bonus when making a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to escape a Grapple, and creatures trying to Grapple an itachi suffer Disadvantage on their Strength check.

Weasel’s Spells: An itachi can cast Dancing Lights, Fire Bolt and Friends. At third level, it can cast Burning Hands as a 1st level spell once per long rest. At fifth level, it can cast Charm Person as a 2nd level spell once per long rest. Spells cast with this trait use Dexterity as their casting ability score.
>>
>>49823241
No, but its still absolute OP shit
>>
File: AmanoKuja.jpg (242KB, 556x1000px) Image search: [Google]
AmanoKuja.jpg
242KB, 556x1000px
>>49823200
So if I felt like playing my sorcerer to make them feel different from a wizard, I could act like he doesn't know he knows spells, per se. These are just things he can *do*, and has always been able to. Whether he knows how he can or not. He might not call them spells, or he might, if he's heard of wizards or has studied some magic.

He might scoff at wizards for being "pale imitators" or "copycats" or "magic thieves".

He might revere dragons and/or have little time or taste for education or other sources of magic.
>>
>>49823262
yup thats a pretty nice take on it actually. but depending on the setting your sorcerer probably knows that wizards arent copycats but just another of many magic users.
>>
So question /5eg/ I'm looking to get back into D&D after dropping it in 3.5. Is 5e a bit better at it's tiers than 3.5's holy fuck the top two are almost the same power, but everything below that is exponentially worse?
>>
File: 3.PF vs. 5e.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
3.PF vs. 5e.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49823644
In short: yes. Casters can still get a bit crazy but martials are all good at combat and can be decent out of combat thanks to how skills work.
>>
>>49823241
Weasel's spells is ridiculous. Fire bolt and Burning Hands should probably be removed, and there's no way in hell they should be cast with a physical attribute.

If you picked one of the three parts of Writhing Dancer then it would be an okay feature.

Cut Weasel's spells if you want to keep the 35 speed, Darkvision, and 1/3 of Writhing Dancer.

Cut the 35 speed and Writhing Dancer if you want Weasel's Spells.
>>
Can monk survive with 12 WIS? Trying to make a Half-Elf monk...

STR 8 DEX 15 (+1) CON 12 INT 10 WIS 15(+1) CHA 11 (+2)

I mean.. I could dump CHA to 8 (+2) and get CON up to 14... but I like having a positive bonus in Persuasion skill.
>>
>>49823777
*12 CON not WIS...
>>
>>49823777
Con's not terribly important for Monks, you'll be fine. Your survivability is mostly based on if you can avoid getting hit anyway.
>>
>>49818000
I've been working on a similar sort of India themed setting. Mine is basically a generic D&D version of India. Like Al-Qadim, but a different cultural base. For your question, I'd say that the portal style of travel fits better in most types of fantasy settings, but go for Spelljammer if you're more into a sort of space fantasy. Personally, if i did spelljammer, I'd really play up the weirdness of the setting, because Hindu mythology can get really really weird, and space settings tend to handle weird really well.
>>
>>49823777
my advice, you dont need con as much as long as you buff your ac as high as possible. you can do this by maxing dex and wis as soon as possible. maybe even multi-class into sorcerer or wizard to get mage armor buffing your max AC to as much as 23 in the late game (this is without the help of magic items.)
but that would require a minimum of 13 int/cha
but as a monk you can survive without a very high constitution. maybe at level 5 instead of a stat boost consider taking the tough perk to help buff your HP.
>>
>>49823864
>mage armor buffing your AC
That's not how it works.
It will cause your AC to become 18.
>>
>>49823880
mage armor makes your base ac 13 instead of 10. even if only for the duration of the spell i dont see how it would not buff your ac. unless you somehow think mage armor and unarmored defense dont work together. in which case i would refer you to look at both the unarmored defense in the multiclass portion of the players handbook and the spell mage armor in the spells portion of the player handbook
the former is located on page 163 and the later on page 256
>>
>>49823901
scratch that you can glean way more information on unarmored defense directly from the respective class pages (48 & 78) than the multi-class section
>>
>>49823901
Mage armor makes your AC 13 + Dex.

Unarmored defense makes your AC 10 + Dex + Wis.

These do not stack, RAW or RAI. They are separate AC calculations.
>>
>>49823901
Both mage armor and unarmored defense set AC to specific number.

It isn't an addition (only Bladesinger ability do that).
>>
>>49823942
ah but if you where to read both of them you would understand that unarmored defense much like mage armor activates when you are not wearing armor. and since there is not statement that the two interfere with one another and unarmored defense is clearly not armor they clearly are able to stack.
>>
>>49823901
> Does Unarmored Defense work with a spell like mage armor? Unarmored Defense doesn’t work with mage armor. You might be asking yourself, “Why don’t they work together? Mage armor specifies that it works on a creature who isn’t wearing armor.” It’s true that the target of mage armor must be unarmored, but mage armor gives you a new way to calculate your AC (13 + your Dexterity modifier) and is therefore incompatible with Unarmored Defense or any other feature that provides an AC calculation.

SAGE ADVICE
>>
>>49823985
where did you get that from?
>>
>>49823957
Are you stupid or something?
Unarmored Defense make your AC EQUAL to 10+DEX+WIS.

EQUAL
EQUAL
EQUAL

You could have 99 base AC, but Unarmored Defense will make it EQUAL to 10+DEX+WIS.
>>
File: 5e armor class.png (349KB, 357x366px) Image search: [Google]
5e armor class.png
349KB, 357x366px
>>49823957
Check the last paragraph on the rules on Armor Class.
>>
>>49823999
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-january-2016

literally 3 second in google.
>>
>>49823957
there is interference, actually, because mage armor sets your AC to 13+your Dexterity modifier, whereas Unarmored Defense sets it to 10+your Dexterity modifier+your Wisdom modifier
>>
>>49824007
my bad i was only going off of what the book said. >>49824000
the wording of both are as follows
>while you are not wearing any armor your armor class equals 10+your dexterity modifier+ your wisdom modifier.
> the targets base ac becomes 13+ its dexterity modifier.

there is nothing in either of those wordings that would suggest they do not work together.
lets take a creature that has a base ac of something higher than 10 and then somehow takes levels of monk. would unarmored defense now no longer work because AC is base+dex normally while unarmored or would the monks unarmored defense still work?

but nonetheless if the people who made the game say that it does not work then i agree that it does not work.
>>
>>49824044
It said:
EQUAL to 10+DEX+WIS
not
EQUAL to base AC+DEX+WIS
>>
>>49816921
>>49818000
Oh, and I've gathered up some stuff to help me build my setting, if either of you are interested, I can put it up.
>>
>>49824058
dude i literally just typed out verbatim the parts of both passages that say what happens to your ac. i will now type them out in full right here just so we can review them together as it appears you are not reading the same book as me

>beginning at 1st level, while you are wearing no armor and wielding a shield your ac equals 10+ your dexterity modifier + your wisdom modifier

>you touch a willing creature who isn't wearing armor and a protective magical force surrounds it until the spells ends the targets base ac becomes 13 + its dexterity modifier. the spell ends if the target dons armor or if you dismiss the spell as an action.

the only one that says equals is unarmored defense so that takes president over mage armor. and the wording of mage armor says your base AC which is 10 now becomes 13.
but again if the wizards say it does not work i will accept the fact that it does not work (even if the wording suggests otherwise) so congratulations you where right. your still a dick tho.
>>
>>49824124
* "not wielding a shield". my bad i should have given my post a once over before i posted it
>>
Guys im DMing the LMoP adventure for two players ( 3, since i gave then a animal companion to balance things out) and want some advice about the Green dragon encounter.
I highly doubt they can beat him to half hp, so came up with some ideas:
a) The druid warns then about the very powerful dragon and tells then in that old people mocking way that they are not strong enough to kill it and should come later.
b) If they find the dragon before the cultists it try to manipular the party to get some magical thing from a nearby ruin or to kill the cultists because he cant be botheres with it. (I would give the PCs half xp from the encounter)
c) if they find the cultists first their leader asks for their help in killing the dragon but betrays the party, offering venomfang both the PCs and his own subordinates as offerings. The other cultists dont like this and help the PCs with the fight.

So, wich one should i go with? Any other suggestions?
>>
>>49822424
>>49822341
neat
>>
>>49818874
>>
>>49824196
you could always scale the dragon down to make the encounter doable. but if that is not an option i would go with the last one you suggested. .
>>
>>49824124
No, you don't seem to understand how RAW work.

RAW, unarmored defense doesn't specific or state "base AC". It just plain old 10. So mage armor changing your base AC to 13 doesn't interact with unarmored defense at all, since by RAW it ignore your concept of "base AC" entirely.

RAI, we already know what dev said.
>>
>>49824262
what do these acronyms mean RAW and RAI all of my experience comes from actually playing the game with friends and not digging deep into every available text in order to have some transcendental understanding of the game.
>>
>>49824285
Rules As Written/Intended.
Google is yer friend tho.
>>
>>49824285
Rule as Written.
Rule as Intended.
>>
>>49824301
>>49824304
thank you for clearing that up. and i will try to use google more in the future.
but as i said all of my experience comes from playing the game with friends and since we use the rules as written for our baseline we always assumed that the two stacked. the more you know i guess.
>>
>>49824248
I suck at scaling monsters, always end up too easy or too hard.
Thx for the imput, i will stick with c)
>>
>>49824346
those two also doesn't stack by rule as written.

When we discuss RAW it's literally, as written, you can't make assumption that "10" (in unarmored defense) meant "base AC".

By RAW, "10" mean "10". nothing more nothing less.
>>
>>49820111
I like that each bestiary had multiple qts in it. Good for monster waifu adventures
>>
What is you guys opinion on Wizard Artificer tradition from Eberron's UA?

I heard people said it's pretty weak. But the ability to buff people without requiring concentration seem great.

The ability to create spell scroll seems pretty strong too. It's like the return of 3.5 Schrodinger Wizard, who has the right spell for the right situation all the time.

Infuse weapon seems like the weapon version of Magic Weapon spell, until you realize that +1 ammunition stack with +1 weapon in 5e. So you could use Magic Weapon on your Bow and Infuse all your arrow.
>>
>>49824500
>>49824346
Also you can literally just read the description of Armour Class in the first chapter of the book, page 14
As >>49824002 helpfully print screened for you
There is no doubt
>>
>>49824346
>my experience comes from home rules that's why on a thread about actual rules I'll put my opinion above actual rules
Every fucking thread
>>
>read FAQs
>they're all stupid questions only a illiterate retard would ask, completely unnecessary
>come to these threads
>there's always one or two of these brain dead retards
How do you breath on your own?
>>
Can I trust the monster manual challenge ratings?
>>
>>49824849
Yes and no. It's mostly a good indecator of how hard something will be. But a good, well balanced party with some good gear can steam roll an encounter and a sub-par team will struggle. You need to feel out how good your party is and what they are good/bad against and adjust accordingly.
>>
Where's the D&D on Kaladesh module?
>>
>>49824819
Reading Sage Advice is the worst because 90% of the responses are just quoting the PHB verbatim
If you don't know a rule, look it up. Check the index.
Tweeting at the devs is such a waste of everyone's time.
>>
>>49825190
>>49824819
some of it is nice to know though. Like Cutting Word errata that make it unable to negate critical hit.
>>
>>49825234
That seems like common sense to me.
The entry on critical hits is pretty clear that if you roll a 20, you hit, context be damned.
>>
Hey /tg/

How was your experience playing with the longer rest rules?
I want to use a custom calender for my campaign and have the date mean something as well as give the players some sense of urgency, but if a long rest is just a night then they will never have any reason to progress in time beyond a day or two.

Thoughts?
>>
>>49825246
By RAW, you could. Because it directly subtract the number from the enemy roll. So your 20 is now a 19.

Hell, even Crowford said you could do it, until he errata it a year later.
>>
>>49825268
I'd disagree, I think be intent is clear.
Either way if you're going pedantic levels of RAW you can't even use cutting words against a critical because you have to use it before the DM determines if the roll is successful, and a critical hit is automatically successful.
>>
>>49825250
I've never used them.
I think if I was playing a less combat heavy campaign, with a theme like a mystery or politics, I might use them.
As it is, the only time people say it doesn't work in combat heavy games is during travel where you probably only have one combat per day, but I balance that by making travel encounters at least hard and usually deadly.
>>
File: 1450155941960.jpg (119KB, 900x668px) Image search: [Google]
1450155941960.jpg
119KB, 900x668px
We're using Spell Points in an upcoming game, and I'm the only one playing a full caster. I should use this power to buff and enable the party to the best of my ability, right?
>>
> All I can find around is 1-5 campaign
> No DM want to commit to a long campaign

Please hold me...
>>
I saw a really awesome character sheet posted in one of these threads awhile back but forgot to save it. It has a separate page for your familiar or animal companion.

Can anyone help me out?
>>
>>49825635
Guess what you entitled faggot
DMing a long campaign is hard as fuck
If you want one so badly DM it yourself
>>
>>49825168
You mean Plane Shift: Kaladesh? It ain't out yet, AFAIK.
>>
>>49825400
Obviously.
>>
>>49825668

I see posts from players/groups looking for a DM where they insist on a good/experienced DM. I look at those and think that if you are too fucking lazy to DM a game yourself and aren't willing to help someone who wants to DM and get better then you don't deserve a DM at all. So many players are lazy entitled little cunts that should be curb stomped
>>
is there a spell to force a resurrection?

the campaign i'm running will have liches forcing resurrections at graveyards to store the soul for later use

is there a suitable spell or do i just make one up?
>>
Anyone have original ideas to spice up a Merrow?

I'm doing a dungeon strongly tied into them, but there's only one variation in the MM, so unless I want my party to do the same encounter a couple of times, I'll have to come up with my own interesting variation on them. I'd prefer not to make it a spellcaster.
>>
>>49825735

Honestly just make one up, if some rules lawyer is like "THATS NOT HOW RESSURECTION WORKS" then tell him he's a faggot and Lich's aren't bound by the PHB.
>>
>>49825739
Reef ambushers who resemble the rocks and whatnot they lurk in. A little slower and more sluggish but more armored, longer three-segmented limbs that snap out to grab prey and stronger attacks.
>>
File: 03Hellgate_web.jpg (436KB, 864x612px)
03Hellgate_web.jpg
436KB, 864x612px
>>49825663

Bump

I'd really like that sick ass character sheet if someones got it.
>>
>>49818590
Hahahahaha. I did this in my campaign. They cut a deal with the inn and now they feed it in exchange for safe lodging
>>
>So I want to be a variant tiefling arcane trickers, it will be fun
>REEE, variant tieflings are broken, REEE, I don't allow them
>Ok, High Elf it's, I even start with one cantrip (BB it's), thanks GM
>REEEEEE
>>
>>49825835
? ?
Why is your GM reeing at high elves?
>>
Who here is pumped for the Mystic?
>>
>>49825951
I can't right now. I'm much too hyped for Volo's Guide.
>>
>>49825835
What problem do your GM have with high elves?
>>
>>49825951
>>49825961
Both of these.
>>
>>49825961

Volo's art looks like faggot puke
>>
File: kys.gif (429KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
kys.gif
429KB, 480x270px
>>49825951
Me! I want to use my brain to make people do pic related.
>>
>>49825928
>>49825973
He thought variant tiefling (I didn't even want wings to be honest) was OP somehow and banned them, he told me that if I wanted to play a race with bonus to dex and int I should look into elves instead of broken races...but he realized that I got more than what I could get with tiefling from high elf making his former homeruling look retarded.
>>
>>49826104
variant tiefling isn't even op if you just never go with winged....
>>
>>49823230

Thats what I did. I also gave him his bastard sword from the original module, and modified it a bit. Made it a +5 Lifedrain
>>
>>49826104
So your DM is just very short sighted when it comes to race balance? I can kinda understand that but I think it's pointless for him to complain about it. He could rule 0 it if he wanted to, but that would be incredibly stupid.
Besides, if you just go with variant tiefling without wings I don't understand what the problem is to begin with.
>>
>>49826148
>Made it a +5 Lifedrain

Is it the fucking Soul Reaver?
>>
>>49826152
I've been in this group for very little but I think this GM is a meme GM, he buys into whatever the flavour of the week site says instead of doing actual research or read the damn rules.
He baned a couple of subclasses (EK, Tomelock, Moondruid, Arcane Cleric, etc) because "broken" and he has been doing something similar with some races (Goliath, Aarakocra, though this one makes sense, half elf, etc)

He also is going against me because "Cunning action is broken" so is a matter of time something kills my PC and rogue can't be taken anymore. Though I think is more probable that I leave the game before that, if only because lately the GM is cancelling game after game after game and giving us shitty reasons on why
>>
>>49826166

Basically, yes.

My party actually quit the campaign a few steps before actually entering Strahds castle, so I never actually got to use it.
>>
>>49826192

That's some GitP level retardation there.
>>
File: 1475768717396.gif (165KB, 200x150px)
1475768717396.gif
165KB, 200x150px
>>49826192
>>49826192
>>49826192
>he banned PHB stuff

get a new group.
>>
File: c80.gif (405KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
c80.gif
405KB, 300x300px
>>49826192
>Banned EK, Tomelock, Goliath
You deserve better, anon.
>>
>>49826192
>if it's good at what it's supposed to be good at, it's broken
>if it's OP in pvp, it's broken
These are the worst kind of players and the kinds of fags who stained the better parts of 5e with cancerous babble in the playtest phase.
>>
>>49821479
this is making me giggle so hard.

>INCONSIDERATE GNOME ROGUE FROM A BUSTLING CITY MARKET WHO INSISTS THEY ARE THE REINCARNATION OF A LEGENDARY WARRIOR

>MOTIVATED HALF-ELF DRUID FROM THE SMALLEST MOUNTAIN IN THE WORLD WHO IS REALLY (I MEAN REALLY) AFRAID OF THE DARK

And then I ran into this:
>WARM-HEARTED GNOME FIGHTER FROM WATERDEEP WHO HAS NO OTHER FAMILY BUT THE PARTY
;_;
>>
>>49825782
So I've been fooling around with this idea, does this seem fair?

Merrow Ambusher

AC 15 (natural armor)
Hp 78
Speed 15 ft, swim 25 ft

STR 20 (+5), DEX 12 (+1), CON 16 (+3), INT 8 (-1), WIS 10 (+0), CHA 8 (-1)

Skills: stealth +6
Senses: darkvision 60 ft, passive perception 12
Languages: Abyssal, Aquan,
Challenge 4 (1100 xp)

Amphibious

False appearance: While the Merrow Ambusher remains motionless near a rock formation, it is indistinguishable from the rock

Actions
Multi-attack: 2 claw attacks or 1 claw and 1 bite

Bite: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft, 1 d8 piercing damage, poisoned until start of Merrow Ambushers next turn
Claws: +7 to hit, reach 10 ft, one target, 2 d6 + 5 slashing damage
>>
>>49826192
>"Cunning action is broken"
I'm sure he's complaining about the hiding part, but only a retard would let someone use it in combat as a perpetual invisibility. He also sounds like the kind of guy who complains that sneak attack is OP too, when he realizes that you can use it all the time.
>>
4e was pretty good.
>>
New player here!

Druid is so much fun! It's pretty good to be able to contribute in all situation (Enhance ability for RP, Pass without trace for exploration, Wild Shape for combat).

Are there any class that can also do this? Maybe a Bard?
>>
>>49826368

The new revised ranger is very versatile, and warlock is infamous for their utility as well. Bards just get lolallthespells.

Druids are pretty fantastic though, glad you're enjoying the game
>>
>>49826368
Bards, Wizards(they're a little complex), Rogue, Revised Ranger(it's from a separately released PDF file called an Unearthed Arcana, i think it's in the trove somewhere at the top of the thread).
>>
>>49818765
Well, then out weeb your weeb DM with the power of research into Japanese concepts an figures that aren't entirely a part of the shorthand tropes of animu.

To do a paladin or a war cleric you make them a Sohei. Contemplative warrior monks who practiced armed and armored combat and defended temples. Can't remember if it's Shinto or Bhuddist though...which is why you are gonna have to do research.

Ninja aren't magical, well they might be in D&D, but in historic Japan people just thought they were. They were common folk using farming implements repurposed and being tricksy as fuck. You make an Assassin or swashbuckler Rogue with a commoner style background and you play being a bumbling up to hide your deadly martial skill.

Omiyoji (spell check?) were priests and exorcists who flavor wise had a bit more in common with Wizards so play an Arcana Domain Cleric or a Theurge Wizard with a domain that grants stuff good for exorcising bad spirits.

Edo period is after warring states, right? When the Shogunate had a centralized government and Japan was brought to a point in line. Firearms were banned and rare but the sword was still common and the great police force of Edo was the bureaucrats and warriors of the Shinsengumi which persisted until the Meiji Restoration.

A barbarian may be someone from the sticks, like Kyushu or Okinawa. The extreme north or south. Or a barbarian could be a burakin. An untouchable. In Bhuddist and Shinto beliefs those who did leather work were unclean and though did a needed task were pushed to the edge of society to live on the outskirts. A fine place to be as a ranger or barb.
>>
>>49818765
> Edo period
Go gunslinger.
>>
>>49826562
Wait, shit. Just had an additional thoughts to out weeb your DM while also being borderline that guy. Play the setting equivalent to a Dutch Merchant or diplomat. One of the few foreigners allowed in the country for trade with the West at the time.

Or, just like a super fucking gay but butch Samurai as a Battlemaster fighter. As there was a series of writings at the time about women breeding weakness in warriors so until you are ready to settle down and be a clan leader or serve in imperial or shogun court, lay with your brothers in arms.
>>
Wait when the hell did 5th edition come out?

Do we have psionics yet?
>>
>>49826861

Not yet
>>
>>49826878
>2014

Oh shit, I'm really late. Imma go download the Mega and binge or a bit.

I'll be back
>>
>>49826861
2014, and In their second round of Public Playtest.

They've been taking their time with play testing things and outside of Core we have only had one splat which is mostly a setting book.

Every month they release an Unearthed Arcana document containing free materials that is usually playtest content for the edition.

Psionics has had two drafts in the form of the early parts only the class progression of the psionic class called The Mystic and The Awakened Mystic. It seems closer in theme to 2E psionics that the psuedo Scifi of 3rd edition. Can't say much for comparison to 4th.
>>
>>49826901
WotC been testing Mystic class (and psionic discipline system) though. I think they will release the 3rd playtest version sometime at the end of this month.
>>
Well straight off the bat Warlocks look pretty durn impressive
>>
>>49826993
They certainly pull their weight, though bladelocks are about a tier behind the other pacts.

Tier 1: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Wizard
Tier 2: Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Rogue, Sorcerer, Warlock
Tier 3: Barbarian (Berserker), Fighter (Champion), Monk (Wot4E), Warlock (Blade)
Note that the difference between tier 1 and tier 3 is less that the difference between tier 1 and tier 3 in 3.5. Much, much less.
>>
>>49827115

You forgot ranger. Original Ranger i'd say was Tier 3, revised Ranger is like right on the brink between Tier 1 and 2 IMO
>>
>>49827244
I knew I left something out. And yeah, PHB ranger is tier 3, UA revised ranger is high tier 2.
>>
>>49826291
My understanding of the bonus action hide is that it works until you run out of cover (ie, you start getting surrounded). The idea is to make the squishy rogue less of a target than the solid fighter. The problem is that the rogue isn't all that squishy, depending on build.

As an example, a rogue could move past a doorway, attack an enemy inside, then Hide. The enemy would know they were attacked, but not know where the attacker is, or maybe even where the attack came from, depending on the enemy's intelligence.
>>
>>49827365
It's also useful for sniping. Start your turn behind cover, move to other source of cover (making a ranged attack during movement), hide.
>>
Thinking about Pact of the Blade Warlock with Polearm Master, intending to frontline.

How does one make this not suck?
>>
>>49827427
Get health/AC and/or stay behind your martial, but focus on enjoying it rather than looking at numbers cause you are gonna notice it.
>>
>>49827427
If you're using strength weapons, you need to shore up your AC. Get medium or heavy armor somehow.

Focus on buff spells that don't take concentration. Things like armor of agathys, mirror image, and blink. The rest of your spells should be utility.

Raise your attack stat first, then take war caster once it's at 20. Shore up charisma afterward.
>>
File: 1450643601770.jpg (178KB, 680x510px)
1450643601770.jpg
178KB, 680x510px
>>49827427
Ask if your DM will allow this.
>Polearm Master grants opportunity attacks when an enemy enters your reach
>Warcaster lets you cast a spell as an opportunity attack and use somantic components with a weapon holding hand
Whenever an enemy comes to 10 feet of you, shoot them with an Eldritch Blast from the tip of your halberd and knock them back.

Technically RAW, but debunked by Sage Advice as not RAI. But I think that sort of blend of magic and martial arts is perfect for bladelock, though the 2 feat investment is awfully heavy.
I'd start with a level in fighter or 2 in paladin for heavy armor and fighting style and other goodies, variant human for one of the feats, then at total level 5 (or 6 if you go pally for smites) you'll be blasting them back up to 20 feet.
>>
>>49827472
>The rest of your spells should be utility.
And Hex. And maybe Hellish Rebuke.
>>
>Finally, there is a 33 percent chance that you are unable to cast wish ever again if you suffer this stress.

hahaha fuck you
>>
>>49827493
>not RAI
Care to link me? I'm curious why they ruled it that way.

And fi you're a bladelock with a reach weapon Booming Blade is better anyhow.
>>
>>49818522
>magical plate costing just as much as plate

>>49818337
Once they hit level 5, anyway.

5 ki points every short rest, each point being able to stun a target as an additional effect (not even taking any actions or anything) if you hit them.

>>49818286
Don't make enemies with specific immunities unless there's a reason. It's a dick move, especially when force damage resistance is INCREDIBLY rare.

Warlocks have low AC and HP. They're not the squishiest and can take things such as 'false life at will', but generally their defence sucks.

If they're using their spell slots for utility, get them into combat soon before or after the utility. They only have two a short rest.

Some things can still detect familiars, or they can still trip alarms. It's powerful, but as long as they're not abusing familiars in a 'invisible yet uses the help action every turn' way then it's fine.
If their familiar dies a lot, penalize them by making later familiars more reluctant to obey every command.

Find what the other party members are good at and think of things they'd be better at.

I seriously doubt the warlock is all that powerful unless everyone else is underpowered.
>>
>>49827529
>casters should have infinite wishes forever
L O L!
O
L
!
>>
>>49827115
New player here; what'd be the consensus on Paladin? From my understanding it's not even remotely comparable to PHB Ranger in terms of uselessness, to the point of not even making to T3.

Edgelord seemed alright (wildly popular, from the look of things), while Devotion and Ancients both sound like they could more than pull their own weight in a party..
>>
>>49827493
>>49827427
Shouldn't it work if you use green flame blade or booming blade?

After all, sage advice says 'the opportunity attack must use the polearm' which contradicts 'no, a cantrip can't do it' because likely a cantrip not being able to do it was the ruling for spells that aren't booming blade or green flame blade.

Best solution to bladelock is not playing warlock, or going pact of the tome and taking shillelagh.

Heck, go pact of the tome 3 levels in warlock and then put the rest of your levels in eldritch knight, and become a completely charisma-reliant fighter.
>>
>>49827365
>>49827389
https://olddungeonmaster.wordpress.com/2014/12/28/dd-5e-stealth-and-hiding/

I liked the way this blog post explained it.

>Be a good DM and have the players describe what their characters are doing. If it makes logical sense, go for it. Don’t let the players use the rules to turn “hide” into a magical condition.
It's still a team game, and one person regularly having advantage on their attack isn't really that big of a deal. And sometimes there aren't any places where you even can hide, and the enemies don't have to act like idiots.

>As an example, a rogue could move past a doorway, attack an enemy inside, then Hide. The enemy would know they were attacked, but not know where the attacker is, or maybe even where the attack came from, depending on the enemy's intelligence.
I think you'd need the Skulker feat to pull that off RAW, but you'd still be able to hide afterwards even if you didn't have it.

So yeah, just let the rogue do his thing, that's why he's playing a rogue.
>>
>>49827529
That only applies if you aren't using wish to make an army of Simulacrums.
>>
>>49827646
Nah they've confirmed it doesn't, GFB and BB use the "cast a spell" action even though they "trigger" on an attack
For the same reason counterspelling either one of those also stop the melee attack, which seems nonsensical but works for balance reasons (level 3 spell vs a cantrip)
>>
>>49827635
>I forgot paladin as well.
Fuck me. They're tier 2, for sure.
>>
>>49827115
>>49827635
Personally I'd move Sorcerer and Warlock to a tier 2.5.
Move Druid down somewhere tier 1.5 or 2.
Paladin in tier 1.
Ranger in 2.5 or 3 maybe. Definitely in 3 for beastmaster.

And add a note on multiclasses varying a lot, a lot of them being kinda bad.
>>
>>49826861

Full level 20 psionics will come out in November in playtest form.
>>
>>49827635
Pffft, HAHAGAHAHAHAHA.
>>
>>49827714
>paladin in 1
It's good but it doesn't have the world-shattering implications of wish or demiplane. High tier 2.
>>
>>49827733
For 90% of the game they're just as useful.
Sure, in a vacuum, Wish is great.
In reality you'll never be able to cast it, if you do your DM will fuck you, and you certainly won't be able to do shit like "raise a simulacrum army" because nobody at the table wants to indulge your masturbation for long enough for it to go anywhere.
Wish is overrated as hell.
>>
>>49827695
The way I've heard it is 'It's a cantrip before it is a melee attack', but I don't remember there being anything specifically consulting it other than one thing that suggests it works and one thing that suggests it doesn't.

>>49827733
As other person said. The highest level spells will not appear in 90% of games anyway.
Once you hit ~level 17, the entire balance of classes gets fucked in the ass and left on the streets by a hungry CR 30 rape monster, and the casters are up in their diamond towers laughing at that idiot who thought champion fighter was a good idea. At least champion gets 'survivor' by that point.
>>
>>49827822
Sage advice addressed it again recently, can't be bothered to look it up for you though
>>
A non-variant human who takes 1-2 levels in every class. 13 in all attributes.

Completely nonfunctional?
>>
>>49828023
Non-competetive, but multiclass casters use a single table for spell slots right, so they'd still have 5/6th level spells
>>
>>49828023
He also gets a ton of cantrips which get to Max level, but isn't great at hitting with them
>>
>>49828038
They'd have 5th/6th level spell slots, but could only use them to cast 1st level spells at higher levels.
>>
>>49827842
I've searched a number of times in the past and even now and I've never found anything.
>>
>>49828023
Everybody else in the party is likely to cover the wide utility you get better than you, and they're be much, much better in combat.

However, you could still function pretty well, actually.
It wouldn't be suboptimal and the 13 in all stats would really hurt you but you would be able to help your team in various ways, such as through 'bless', you'd actually have 'okay' hitpoints and AC, you can spam guidance and such and you can use booming blade to keep up with damage.
>>
>>49828023
You can get 13,13,13,12,12,12 with point buy (all +1 from human), and you don't need 13 con for anything (except surviving, but this is theoretical), so you could get better stats and still multiclass into anything.
At least get 14,14,14,14,13,12.
>>
>>49828335
You need 13 Con for barbarian multiclass.
>>
>>49828344
Are you sure? I can see STR 13 as the only requirement
>>
>>49817915
Go Eldritch knight.
Keep it Dex based.
Rapier and Breastplate with dueling style.
Support with casting shield.
Mage hand utility.
Booming blade to lock down opponents so they don't move.
Fire bolt for ranged options.
Put your proficiency into things like knowledge arcana, history, investigation etc. for RP
>>
>>49828365
Oh, I'm just remembering it wrong.
Carry on then.
>>
>>49828383
3 whole levels in one class?? What kind of specialist are you trying to create?
>>
When you multiclass, do you gain the new classes' saving throw proficiencies?
>>
>>49828428
No
>>
>>49828428
Nope, nor do you get skill or equipment proficiencies beyond what's shown in the box
>>
>>49828428
They do not benefit from any of the "Proficiency" or "Equipment" items listed immediately under "Class Features", but do gain HP for levels in that class as in "Hit Points at higher levels" in that they gain the additional hit points and hit die of the second class for each level they take in it, instead of those of their original class.

You do get some proficiencies sometimes, as outlined in the table under the Multiclassing section, and you gain proficiencies granted by any class features outside of the starting block (I.E. Some cleric domains grant additional proficiencies, you get these)
>>
File: 1411830854141.jpg (30KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1411830854141.jpg
30KB, 960x960px
how would you guys rebalance true strike to be a top tier cantrip?
>>
>>49828543
Make it a swift action
>>
>>49828543
Give AT War Magic?
>>
How do spell slots work for multiclassing in everything?
>>
>>49827427
What I'm gathering from some of the replies is it's much better to start as a Paladin in order to get all the proficiencies. Strength and Dex are no longer priorities, so MAD is completely alleviated.

Pick up Warlock and go Pact of the Tome, take Shillelagh and GFB / Booming Blade. Grab Dueling from Paladin so you've got a d8+2+CHA weapon, with +CHA to AB if you hit Devotion's Channel Divinity. GFB's quasi-multiattack comes online faster than a multiclassed Warlock's Lifedrinker, and you don't have to blow an invocation to grab it, though you're only benefiting from Hex once now (unless you are Eldritch Blasting, which remains a good option since your Cha doesn't suck).

>(1d8+1d6+4d8+1d8+2d6*2)+2+1+Cha crits for 24-139 damage at level 8
absolutely stupid
>>
>>49828558
This. Swift Action True Strike would be basically required on gish builds.
>>
>>49828583
There's a specific table. in the PHB ulticlassing section. Add your caster class levels together and use it to determine spell slots
>>
>>49828543
I made it a bonus action that grants you a +10 to hit against one enemy, for one attack on next turn, instead of advantage. Our group's AT has been pretty satisfied with it so far, particularly when he used it for a giant slaying arrow that would have missed without it.
>>
Haste says it gives a bonus action/turn

Help me out, because that was a major problem in 3e that they got rid of in 3.5, no? Why is it back?
>>
>>49828657
It gives an action, not a bonus action.
Also, I don't know what your problem is.
>>
>>49828625
And how do you manage to prepare spells?
>>
>>49828657
>Until the spell ends, the target’s speed is doubled, it gains a +2 bonus to AC, it has advantage on Dexterity saving throws, and it gains an additional action on each of its turns. That action can be used only to take the Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object action.
Is any of these a problem?
>>
>>49828657
Concentration keeps it in check. Action Surgeon is better.
>>
>>49828657
It isn't as easy to break the action economy any more.
>>
File: dragon366warlocks.jpg (198KB, 432x576px)
dragon366warlocks.jpg
198KB, 432x576px
Going into my first 5th edition game tomorrow, building a GOO (refluffed to 4e star pact) tomelock.

For cantrips, should I take Shillelagh and Greenflame Blade or is melee capability just a waste, and should I just take some fun stuff like Thaumaturgy/Prestidigitation?

For 1st level rituals from Book of Ancient Secrets, which should I take beside the obvious Find Familiar?
>>
>>49824060
That would be very useful.
>>
File: Dragon 1.jpg (285KB, 850x1078px)
Dragon 1.jpg
285KB, 850x1078px
>>49815911
I have a few of questions for y'all, /tg/, if you don't mind helping me out a second.

1. How do you make generic loot interesting? My group are exploring ruins a lot, and are constantly asking if they find anything valuable or interesting in every other room, and I always feel bad that I can't give them something exciting to find. Usually they just find some old tattered books, rusted trinkets, and other useless items, maybe occasionally with something of value. At the same time, I can't say every room in the dungeon has something extremely valuable in it, otherwise there'll be a hilarious gold bloat and it won't make finding new things interesting, but I don't want to ruin their sense of curiosity and say they never find anything. Do you just tell them they don't find anything or is there some path in the middle I could take?

2. When do you think is a good time/level to start making magic items more commonly available, and what're some good examples of very basic magic items I could give them as rewards early on? I've looked through the Dungeon Master's Guide, but the "common" magic items are few and far between, and are pretty limited outside of basic healing potions, which I also don't want to be throwing at the party in bulk. Partly connected to the above question, in that I want to come up with some interesting things to hand the party as a reward for being curious.

The group is currently level 3, although they're soon to level up to 4 if that gives a good frame of reference.
>>
>>49828961
Probably another utility like Identify or Detect Magic, depends on your party composition
>>
>>49828961
Warlock has Eldritch Blast, which is the best ranged cantrip, so you probably don't want to be in melee if you don't really build your character around it.
>>
I have a party of 3 level 12 characters and want to do a "one off" adventure that's spooky and full of undead for Halooween and am looking for suggestions
>>
>>49819602
To add to his post the reason the guards aren't letting them through could be used as a hook for the next session.
>>
Wish can be used to cast any spell of 8th level or lower, even if you don't know the spell or have never seen it, right?

So a Sorcerer with Wish can use it to cast Power Word: Stun, even if he doesn't know it?
Furthermore, can that spell be twincasted? I'm not sure if you're casting Wish and turning it into PW:S, or if you're casting Wish and causing yourself to cast PW:S. I think that if all you're technically casting is Wish it never targets anything and can't be copied.
>>
>>49829121
You'd have to twincast Wish
>>
>>49828979
1. Weave together small stories with your items. Instead of just finding a silver ring worth 200gp, they find a silver ring with the inscription 'to Felosial, my Love'. They can keep and sell the ring, or find whoever this Felosial is and return it - which could lead to any number of minor outcomes. Or make some random tables to roll on to determine the origin and history of any art object.

2. Common items like low-level scrolls and potions should be relatively common. Outside of that, it's really up to you as the DM - aside from having some sort of way to bypass resistance to nonmagical damage by about level 5, I don't think PCs are expected to have any magic items.
>>
>>49829136
I don't think it's possible because Wish doesn't target. Are you just saying that because it would cost 9 sorcery points instead of 8?
>>
>>49829180
The outcome of Wish is an effect mimicking another spell. But the spell your sorcereris actually casting is Wish
>>
>>49827686
>Two simulacra is an army
>>
>>49828979

First through third level should be trinkets, mostly useless things, some potions, and some weak scrolls.

Third through fifth level you might want to throw in a +1 weapon or two, some interesting armor, a scroll with a "real" spell on it, give them one awesome thing like a ring of levitation or something that'll make them go "fuck yeah this is cool"

Fifth through Eighth level you should start giving some specialize equipment. The rogue gets a dagger of backstabbery with bleed on crit, the ranger gets a bow with ridiculous range, the barbarian gets an axe that freezes people to the touch, etc. At this point they should be buying scrolls and potions on their own.

After Eighth level, they should start questing for a legendary artifact. Make it pivotal that they need this Macguffin, and take about 5 or 6 levels to even acquire it, and don't downplay it's usefulness. Make it something extraordinary. In my last game they started a quest to find the throne of an ancient king that granted "True Wish", but turns out while it worked, was also super corrupted, and anyone that would sit on the throne would instantly alignment change and wish for awful things. So they ended up destroying it. In any case, anything past Eighth or Tenth level should just be awesome, with one singular legendary as fuck item being in the spotlight.

Thats just how i do things though. After Fifteenth level, they should be movers and shakers in the world, crafting their own legendary artifacts and playing the game entirely differently.
>>
>>49829224
>Running 5e as that much of a monty haul
You lost me at 3-5 and I have fucking magic shops.
>>
The Warlock Invocation Voice of the Chain Master reads "You can communicate telepathically with your familiar and perceive through your familiar's senses as long as you are on the same plane of existence." This means that you constantly can communicate, but does it allow you to constantly perceive what your familiar does in addition to what you do, or only to take an action to do so at any range?
>>
>>49822095
My Cleric looked on in disgust as the other party members bathed in blood at a shrine to a hobgoblin diety.
>>
>>49829211
Have your simulacra cast wish to summon a simulacra who casts wish to summon a simulacra etc.
>>
>>49829262
No action listed means you can do it whenever you like without spending an action. It just happens when you want it to.
>>
>>49829121
Yes you can cast spells you don't know, no you can't twincast it
>>
>>49822418
Well undying light warlocks would be nice to have without the +Cha to radiant/fire damage crap.
I like their flavour of not sucking eldritch/fey/demon cock and just gaining power from the positive energy plane.
>>
>>49829246

As do I. And one or two +1 weapons really isn't that much of a monty haul in my opinion, even if it is at relatively low levels. I do like my players to feel powerful and have fun, and depending on the game and setting I won't always go with that.

I think by Eighth level the players should have one fuckin' awesome item, with items that reflect their classes (if they sought those items out). Just my opinion.
>>
>>49822095
4 hours of bookkeeping and planning out fortress construction, talked to some druids, a cleric and our hirelings, and then a 5-hour magic carpet flight to crawl into a hive of hibernating ghouls inside the dead body of a titan on a frozen mountain.
>>
>>49829262
>>49829290
Wait, I found it.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/20/voice-of-the-chain-master-familiar/
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/04/11/can-voice-of-chain-master-perceive-what-is-happening-during-warlock-sleep/
So, you do need to use an action for it.
...Would it be too strong for an independent invocation to allow a chain warlock to share senses with their familiar at all times?
>>
>>49822449
Revised druid (fix Hp bloat and give options for non hippies like a "sage" subclads), berseker (exhaustion levels as a class feature suck) and monk (mainly give them just extra attack 2 at lvl 14 or something like flight at higher levels to play up their mobility would be nice to have).
>>
>>49822540
Arcane focus replaces material components that aren't consumed by a casting of the spell.

The ones that are consumed are marked with their GP cost in the spell description.

Remember that you can make your quarter staff your arcane focus.

If the DM refuses try saying you silvered it (50GP cost) to compromise.
>>
>>49829507
>The ones that are consumed are marked with their GP cost in the spell description.
Incorrect, it can't replace those that get consumed and those with a stated material cost. Not all stated material costs are consumed, ex: Chromatic Orb.
>>
>>49815911

I would absolutely love to play a game set in any of the MtG planes, or to DM one myself. I have a bunch of notes for an Innistrad campaign that I've been wanting to run by my potential players instead opted for a higher level starting point (I wanted to start at level 5, my players wanted to start at level 10+) campaign based around a custom world that the dm hasn't even fully made yet, and is an abstract nightmare of hack and slash combat.

Ranting aside, I've been absolutely devouring MtG lore lately, and I've been writing as much as I can in the way of notes for playing games set in the MtG multiverse. The most fun of it so far has been looking at what natural structures could possibly take a player from one plane to the next, and what kind of monstrous races they might encounter as well. I'm planning on eventually throwing New Phyrexia at them, and having them come up with some way to protect their specific plane from a Phyrexian invasion, but past that its all random notes right now.
>>
>>49823777
Steps to build a monk:

>Max out your Wis and Dex to get good AC.

>Pick which stat should go higher Dex for attacks, Wis for stunning strikes.

>Make sure your other stats aren't below 10 as dumpsters are for munchkins.

>Use Quarter Staffs or Spears at lower levels and darts for ranged options.

>Keep moving.

These feats are also good on monks:

> Mobile (gotta go even faster)
> Savage attacker (rerolling damage for your weakest attack each turn will keep you afloat DPR wise but some consider it a trap option)
>Defensive duelist (Free Shield against one target, very usefull against single large enemies and the like when in melee)

>Healer (great for support and out of combat healing)

>Magic initiate (grab some nice cleric or druid cantrips)

>Ritual casting (detect magic, summon/purify food and water etc.)

>Alert/Observant
>>
>>49829782
Mobile is good on monks, gives them a ton of freedom and stacks on their already extravagant mobility.
Savage Attacker is awful. A feat dip, for *maybe* one reroll of a single d8 reach turn?
Defensive Duelist...exists, but why take that instead of boosting Dex for more AC constantly, and to-hit, and skills, and more?
Healer if your party is really desparate, but you get precious few ASIs to spend on a MAD class.
Magic Initiate can provide a bit of utility, but has the same drawbacks as Healer.
Ritual Caster, same as above.
Alert is good in general, but doesn't especially synergize with monk, besides getting a good initiative to run in and stun some fools.
Observant is also alright, but pretty unnecessary unless you want to max Wis and have an odd number, or are starting as a variant human.
>>
>>49828023

Well for one Monk 2/New UA ranger (with dueling fighting style and FE humanoids) will keep you afloat for most of the game.
Two levels in druid nets you wolf/eagle form.
Two levels in rogue nets you cunning action and expertise.
You'll be shitting out cantrips all day.
Your only lvl 1 spells (that you will actually use besides rituals) will be Shield and Hex.
>>
What do you guys think about the spider familiar? I want to make it work but he just doesn't seem very useful. The only things I can see to play around with are storing the venom it can create, and using it for scouting since a spider is inconspicuous and can climb on walls.

Anyone try using this guy over the obviously superior birds?
>>
>>49830366
Just do it, birds are boring. And I think birds are a little bit out of their element in dungeons, so the spider could actually be more useful when you're not outside.
>>
Haunted castle pops up from nowhere, apparently every hundred years the evil vampire lord comes back to life so the castle does, too. Normally a local vampire hunter with a magic whip coems to beat him but he's not around for [insert reason], so your team is hired to explore Castlevania and defeat Dracula.
>>
>>49830453
So basically Buffy vs Dracula
>>
>>49830453
>nobody in the party has a high enough jump skill to navigate the double-jump obstacles
>>
>>49817915
Just because everyone else is dex, doesn't mean you can't be.

Strength is pretty shitty except for barbarians and GWMs. Even Barbarians can go dex, and even GWMs can just not be GWMs.

>>49828543
It is already usable for very niche situations.

However, it could use a buff.
Things like:
1. DM gives you hints to enemy weaknesses.
2. Can be used on things like items to identify weaknesses, too.
3. Perhaps gives you advantage against saves induced by the specific creature or makes that creature have disadvantage against specifically you for a round.
4. If enemies more often had special abilities such as shields they can raise for a single round of defence, it'd be useful.
5. If it was a self-buff that didn't specifically target any one creature, but gave advantage on next attack roll for anything.

That sort of thing.
>>
>>49828543
>>49828558
>>49828579
>>49828611

What are your thoughts on top of making it a bonus action to also add this:

>When an ally within 30 feet attacks your targeted creature and the creature is within 5 feet of you, you may also use your reaction to verbally assist to give the attack advantage. Afterwards the spell ends. Your ally must be able to hear you.

Basically, building in a lighter version of help. True strike already uses concentration so it shouldn't get too out of control.
>>
anyone preordered the alternative volo cover?
>>
>>49830849
Wish I had, I don't know where to get it (UK).
>>
>>49830861
yeah I can't either. in my country there are no place to order it. and I tried some other countries like UK where I have friends live who can pick it up for me and all the shops I asked said they can't order it. I guess only americans will be able to get it mostly.
>>
I'm playing a Dragonborn Paladin of Bahamut, who's not exactly the nicest person around, and I'm wondering at what point I should be worried about falling from Paladin status?

I haven't blatantly murdered anyone, but I haven't taken any prisoners. I'm new to the game, so I'm not exactly sure.
>>
>>49830973
>tfw there's a dragonborn barbarian-paladin of Tiamat in your game

FIGHT
>>
>>49830973
First don't play that character.
Second if you do stop being a snowflake and be a proper paladin.
Third use common sense to judge your actions if they are evil or unnecessarily cruel and then you will have your answer if your character has left the path of righteousness.
>>
>>49830973
Which oath did you take, those are the rules you have to follow
>>
>>49831000
But I am being a proper paladin.

>>49831014
I haven't taken an oath yet, I'm going to today. I'm planning on taking Vengeance.
>>
>>49830973
Good news, Paladin's falling isn't in the rule anymore so if your DM does it he's a dick.
In my opinion, as long as you have reasoning behind your actions, I wouldn't punish you for them.
Yes that means maybe the goblin babies will die.
>>
>>49831027
Then the only rules you have to follow is you really have to fight the evil you pick. It doesn't even say you have to be nice to people.

You have to destroy your selected villain, no mercy, no middle ground, nothing. If you swear an oath against Orc babies then that's what you destroy.

A situation where you fall is entirely dependent on your DM, but in my opinion the oath of vengeance is the hardest to fall, Devotion the easiest, and Ancients a middle ground.
>>
>>49830973
Lawfulness and Goodness are objective philosophies in D&D

Is your character Lawful; forthright, trustworthy & consistent?

Is your character Good; righteous, merciful & sel-sacrificing?

Do his means matter as much as his ends?

If you can say yes to all three, then he remains a Paladin for another day.
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 750x1334px
>>49831048
Hate to break it to you but page 86 of the PHB.
>>
>>49831101
>>49831096
Thank you for your help
>>
>>49831101
Paladin's don't have to be either of those things in 5e, especially not "merciful"
Read Oath of Vengeance.
I'd say "consistent" is the most relevant this edition, and maybe honest / open / trustworthy.
>>
>>49831121
Hate to break it to you but that's not the same as falling was because you don't lost your powers as soon as you fuck up
You lose them if you refuse to repent, even then you can become an Oathbreaker
So yeah, if the DM takes your powers because you kill some surrendering bandit he's still an ass
Thread posts: 408
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.