[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General - /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 37

File: bbg.jpg (232KB, 969x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bbg.jpg
232KB, 969x1000px
/bgg/ - Board Games General

>>49667741

Resources (reviewers, /tg/ groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

CARD GAMES EDITION
>Do you often play card games? In which occasions?
>Traditional or modern card games?
>Do you play pnp/indie card games?
>Top five card games?
>Top three games with a major card element?
>>
File: 1011160837.jpg (1MB, 2304x1296px) Image search: [Google]
1011160837.jpg
1MB, 2304x1296px
Who else is excited for the new expansion coming out on the 14th?
>>
>>49736600
>>49736632
> speaking of REX
i managed to get an unopened box for 7.5€ what am i for?

It's got a lot of wheeling and dealing and can be summarized as 'Sneaky for the win!' Sounds like you got a excellent deal on a solid game. It's plays best with a full 6 players.
>>
>>49736600
I was about to start a new thread when you beat me to it OP. :) Looks like the hard limit for replies is 329.

>>Do you often play card games? In which occasions?

Depends on the size of the group and what we're in the mood for playing.

>>Traditional or modern card games?

Modern.

>>Do you play pnp/indie card games?

Yes.

>>Top five card games?

Core Worlds
Citadels
XenoShyft
Arctic Scavengers
Once Upon a Time

>>Top three games with a major card element?

(Question is almost to vague - you might want to refine it a bit. I gather you mean 'non-card games' with a major element?)

7 Wonders maybe? Most modern games use cards of some sort.
>>
>>49736675

Going to buy it and get several games in on Halloween for a spooky board game meetup. It's a mechanically bad game, and far too swingy. Balanced sessions are few and far between. But I enjoy it regardless, for the narrative it provides. Come at me, haters.
>>
If the anon from last thread looking for games with special player powers is here and still open to suggestions, I highly recommend voyages of Marco Polo.
>>
>>49736692
alright thanks

I tried netrunner but didnt really get into it
my father tried to initiate me to bridge but it didnt stick, i used to play MTG (started with alpha and made a lot of money) and then L5R tcg (was pretty competitive was qualified for world in 2002 but univ was my priority)
Nope
>Top five card games?
L5R was the best now i dont play card games much, aside from bloodbowl team manager, operation altiplano, citadele and CiA vs KGB
citadelle
bloodbowl team manager and ???
>>
>>49736600
Every now and again yeah, though it's only 7 Wonders.
Modern. Traditional once in a blue moon maybe.
Nah.
>Top five card games?
Don't have that many card games but -
7 Wonders
Dominion
Twilight Struggle
Triumph&Tragedy
??
>>
anyone else trying to get a first print copy of Mechs vs minions? i hope there are enough. eagerly awaiting thursday. no im not shilling just wondering if /bgg/ has talked about it
>>
I'll be honest, in my collection I do not make a distinction between board and card games. I'll play whatever I feel like playing atm. And I like deckbuilders.
Modern. Wont touch a standard deck o cards
Nope
>Top five card games?
Legendary Encounters : Alien/predator
Onirim
Smash Up
Star Realms
Resident Evil DBG (it's shit, but I like it)
I guess you mean board games with lots of card play ? Hmmm. You may disagree on how much cards are integral to the game but...
Star Wars Risk
Pandemic
TIME stories

>>49736675

I fucking love BatHotH but the guest writers on the expansion is VERY worrying. I'll wait for reviews, because I expect lots of awful political satire, lolrandumb humor and muh feminism (just check the guest writer list if you think I'm overreacting, there's some pretty awful names there...)

>>49737262

Looks interesting, but being a eurofrag I'm not sure how easy to order it's going to be and shit. I'll wait patiently for the perfect opportunity.
>>
>>49736600
>Do you play card games
I don't own that many but I'd play a designer card game just as soon as a designer board game
>Traditional/modern
Never play games with a traditional 52 card deck anymore, although I'd still gladly play Asshole with friends if it was that kind of night
>PnP/indie
Everyone who isn't Hasbro/Asmodee is indie. I've only PnP'd twice. Once when a friend's sister designed a game (they later successfully kickstarted it), once for an Innovation expansion (we still haven't actually played it). Usually it's not worth the effort
>>49734476
Glad everyone enjoyed it!
>+1 or -1 dice
Correct
>When a monster could move toward two different investigators
You and the other players must decide unanimously where the monster moves. If you can't agree for any reason, randomly choose a player, and that player chooses
>Miniature storage
Do you have a Container Store near you? In the gift box isle they have small white cardboard boxes. They come in 2" cubes (fits 2 small monsters), 3" cubes (fits 2 medium monsters), 4" cubes (fits 2 large monsters), and 4.5"x4.5"x6" rectangular boxes (fits 12 small cubes). For $18.22 I have modular storage for the base game and expansion figures. Nothing has gotten knocked off its base since using the boxes
>>49736675
>Mike Selinker
One of the few designers in the industry I would refer to as a hack
>>49737262
Me. Make sure you have your LoL account set up already. I think you can have it save your address and credit card which will save on checkout time
>>
>>49736675
>Do you often play card games? In which occasions? Traditional or modern card games?
Modern card games with friends, traditional card games with inlaws,
Unless you count KS games as Indie, not so much.
>Top five card games?
Netrunner, Epic, Coup (Reformation or g54), Arctic Scavengers, Two Rooms and a Boom (stretch to call it a card game, but whatever)
Spartacus, Chaosmos, been pretty impressed with what I've played of the giga robo demo. Plenty of games I like better, but I'd call their card elements relatively minor, such as in TI3.

>>49736675
Ha, no. I don't have anything against narrative "games", but if I'm going to play one, it'll be where the narrative is built by the choices me and my friends make, not by a pile of card draws and die rolls.

>>49737262
As sexy as it looks, it's still a co-op, so that's pretty much a no for me right out of the gate.
>>
>>49736600
Quick question about Mansions of Madness 2e, since I only got the first one.
I've understood that there is an app to play it, but is said app is pretty necessary or just a way to play without a "dm" (or whatever you'd call it in the 1e). Is it still one against many, or like Eldritch and Arkham Horrors, it's a pure cooperative game ?

I've heard conflicting review about it, so I assume that the fact that it's overall better than the 1e isn't really true. Could you brief me on the changes that went on this new edition ?
>>
>>>49736632
A box that will sit on your shelf for-fucking-ever until some cosmic event aligns all the planets and you manage to get 6 faggots around a table.

Then you can either A) spend the next 3.5 hours bored as hell because everyone played passively and avoided conflict or B) have a glorious, epic game of everyone being a bastard to everyone else, playing double sided politics, trading favors then backstabbing your allies, jockeying for planetary control and pulling sneaky victories out of your ass.

Really depends on the group, but when it works, you'll be talking about the game for weeks. Also, learning curve isn't easy, you'll need a couple games under your collective belts to actually know what the fuck you're doing, and how to achieve your devious goals.
>>
>>49738377
I think the conflicting reviews have more to do with paying twice the money for half the physical content.
>>
>>49738377
App is necessary. Cannot be played 1vAll at all. Many people who never played it think it's too expensive or have personal vendettas against apps, so they share their hot opinions on the internet

I think it's a good game. My friends keep saying "fuck this game, I hate it" during play but that's because it fucks their shit up every time we sit down with it. They still want to play until we win all the scenarios
>>
>>49738533
>Cannot be played 1vAll at all.
How can they remove one of the defining aspects of a game and call it a second edition.
>>
>>49736600
Any difference between Doom FFG 2004 and Doom FFG 2016?
>>
>>49738780
Huge diffferences are already apparent, but we've seen no information on the new one since the announcement blurb.
>>
>>49738752
But now it's the players against the app... the app Coral!
>>
>>49738923
>the app Coral!
??
>>49738851
Such as what?
>>
>>49739553
Such as go look up the old rulebook and the new announcement and figure it out for yourself. We really won't know much until the new one is closer to release.
>>
>>49738752
I guess you're proof some people had fun with it, but for most people (my group included) playing the DM was just seen as a huge hassle. It required more commitment and setup than a good 2/3rds of my RPG sessions and was very prone to mistakes. It didn't particularly offer you much freedom as far as roleplaying went and if you took it as a competitive game, it was far too easy to win as the DM.

Having done both, I think the app is a full on improvement. You get a fog of war effect out of it, you get infinitely faster setup and play, You get more potential variety to each individual scenario, and that super huge scenario is something that is a blast that I never could imagine a DM doing all the bookkeeping for. It really goes a long way to destroying frustration and getting the game to the table and actually played. The reference to less content for more money is only true in that there is 1 less scenario by default. You get that scenario back if you merge your first edition content over but I won't try to make that an excuse. Outside of that, there's more variety to the scenarios, you get way more map tiles and a fair bit more monsters.
>>
>>49736955
Im still here. Yeah that game looks pretty legit i considered getting it. Thanks for the suggestions :)
>>
>>49736600
>>Do you often play card games? In which occasions?
Yeh, up for whatever, generally on game nights only. Sometimes I'll play solo. Rest of my family and friends just like to get drunk, talk (or ignore each other) on getherings.

>>Traditional or modern card games?
Whatever. depends on the group.

>>Do you play pnp/indie card games?
Yeah, I have a few of those.

>>Top five card games?
Netrunner
For Sale
Jyhad/V:tES (wish they made a reprint in LCG format, that shit was intense)
Evolution
Helionox (very good deckbuilder with worker placement and variable powers)

Bang Dice
Twilight Struggle
CitOW
>>
>>49742728
>Bang Dice
You mean these cards every player gets at the start of the game to see who's he playing as?
I think you don't really understand what major card element stands for.
>>
I'm curious, if someone introduced you to a game and said it was based off of the wanted mode in assassin's creed multiplayer or that college game assassin, what would you expect it to look like?

would it be a relatively light social deduction game? would there be a board? hidden movement by all players similar to escape from the aliens in outer space? would it be a multiplayer version of king and assassins (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/147930/king-assassins)

if anyone doesn't know, in the wanted game mode you're all dropped into a relatively small area with a target to kill. it's not just the 8 players though, there are lots of npcs who are copies of your characters. you need to find your target while avoiding the person who has you as a target, all while trying to blend in with the npcs

in my mind, no roles could be known from the beginning, kind of like bang. you'd have to determine who your target is by the things they do during the game. other than that, I can't think of anything.
>>
>>49743929
The relatively recent release AssassinCON tries to do this, actually.
>>
>>49743229
Hey, a card's a card.
>>
>>49737543
Just read the list of "contributors" myself. Was going to buy it, but I'll be goddamned if I'm going to give that regressive slut Anita Sarkisian a single fucking cent of my money.
>>
>>49744043
Well, she's already got her money, FFG paid her for her contribution, and she's getting no royalties off it.
>>
>>49736600
Yes, on game night.

Either or, but mostly modern.

If Indie is stuff not released by a non-kickstarter company, yes.

>Top five card games?
Love Letter, Coup, Fairy Tale/Sushi-Go, Hanabi, Valley of the Kings

Seems redundant after the previous question.
>>
>>49744100
supporting things she contributed towards only encourages companies to pay her in the future.
>>
>>49744100
>FFG
I meant Avalon Hill/Hasbro
>>
>>49744043

Yeah, also a Trump scenario has been confirmed.

Pendleton Ward is also in. I don't know much about the guy, I've watched a few eps of adventure time and I thought it was alright, but I'm very much afraid a lot of the scenarios will include silly humor that just doesnt fit in.
>>
>>49744043
>>49744255
This isn't even a board game expansion so much as it is a way for the devs to get in the pants of their little social justice clique. I saw the Dice Tower preview they did with one of the devs and he was gushing about how the whole reason it's called "Widow's Walk" is because its WW initials are a tribute to Wil fucking Wheaton. Why would you name your product after one of the biggest spergs to blight the industry?

Meanwhile, it's confirmed that the horrible component quality (like the plastic stat sliders and the laughably bad miniatures) is not going to be fixed, but they DID listen to fan feedback and included a bathroom floor tile. I guess rectifying a joke about the lack of shittersin the house is more important than making a game that isn't shoddy as hell.
>>
File: collectionsofar.jpg (461KB, 1319x1014px) Image search: [Google]
collectionsofar.jpg
461KB, 1319x1014px
I'm considering getting at least 1 of these 3 games, I have 1 question for each to help decide:
>Stockpile
I can take moderate levels of strategy and numbers but I can get overwhelmed by heavier games so my games tend to hover around mid to light games. Is this a heavier game?
>Specter Ops
How balanced is the game? The idea of 1 vs the world stealth is very appealing to me but I can see it being ruined by not even necessarily one side being unbalanced but just significantly harder to play.
>TIME Stories
I hear this game gets one play and then you need to buy more stories. Is it really that unreplayable? Do you only get 1 run before you learned it all?
>>
>>49744255
>having a scenario that will have a good chance of being culturally outdated upon release

that is just stupid
>>
File: mqdefault[1].jpg (8KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault[1].jpg
8KB, 320x180px
>>49744778
Yeah, that's like Sony animation tier planning.

I know that Betrayal was made with the idea that their scenarios were schlocky horror movie plots, but at least they were originally written to be faithful to your typical horror movie themes. They could be ridiculous at times, but only as ridiculous as some of the weirder real horror movies out there. You shouldn't write them to be funny in it of themselves or else you've just entered Asylum movie territory. As much respect as I have for Pendleton Ward for making some funny early episodes of Adventure Time and being the man behind probably my favorite episode of Over the Garden Wall, it's a dumb call saying he needed to write something for this.
>>
Is there a quintessential social deduction game? My regular boardgame group does really well with these games, and while I've played classic werewolf, one night ultimate, the resistance, avalon, secret hitler, and two rooms and a boom, I can't think of one that I really feel does it perfectly, outside of possibly the resistance or two rooms. Does anyone have any recommended social deduction games that are the most replayable and best for small to medium groups?
>>
>>49745434
The biggest one I'd say you're missing is Mafia de Cuba.
>>
>>49745434
As far as a game that's just raw THAT, Werewolf is the one you can teach anyone and Resistance is the slightly more confusing one but benefits from running itself rather than needing a moderator. Those are the ones that hit best with my group.
One you didn't mention that you might like is Spyfall. It takes a couple tries to learn the tricks of being the spy but it's a very falvorful one that you can get very creative with. If you have a dry group though, it can fall flat, but if you have a group that can get into it, I don't know of a more fun social deduction game. The key here is does your group roleplay the situation they're supposedly in. If they do, Spyfall actually encourages and rewards that.
The other that's not so social but more just game that works well in wild large groups is Bang the Dice game. Again, not so much social as game deduction, but secret identities. You get the idea.
>>
>>49744738
>I hear this game gets one play and then you need to buy more stories. Is it really that unreplayable? Do you only get 1 run before you learned it all?
It's like a book or a puzzle game. You'll play it, figure it out, and then it's best set aside for a while until you've clearly forgotten most of what to do. But yes, you'll probably remember what happens after you play it.
>>
>>49745434
2 rooms and a boom is fantastic for large groups
>>
>>49746134
>recommending something he literally already said he has and likes.
>>
Anyone else hoping for a follow up to (or a knock-off) Scythe called Sickle, where in the title design they replace the "L" with the silhouette of a scythe.
>>
>>49744738
IMO Spectre Ops usually goes one of two ways. Either the group trounces the 1 player, or they never fucking see him. Other people enjoy it, but to me it fall far short of being worth my time.
>>
>>49746407
Ah, that's a shame. I figured it was always a possibility that once you got spotted, it would be over pretty quick, but I was hoping the game would make it near impossible to go unspotted but make equipment be kinda a limited resource reset to put you back off the grid.
>>
>>49746162
That was not a reccomendation. That was affirmation.
>>
File: IMG_3543.jpg (314KB, 980x1258px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3543.jpg
314KB, 980x1258px
I pulled out my TALISMAN 2nd edition recently to let the wife try it and she loves it!
Mindless game but if you like random encounters with a game of chance..it's great!

Anyone else ever tried 2nd edition.
>>
>>49746162
To be fair, his first question is just what's the best and that's the best to him for large groups.
>>
>>49746609
I've also seen it go one of two ways, either the agent screws up and dies in ten minutes, or the game goes nearly down to the wire. Either way, it's a lot less predictable than Fury of Dracula and in a third the time for me so far.
>>
>>49744738
>stockpile
not heavy at all. you assemble bundles of stocks (placing some face down to hide the true value of the stocks, and occasionally placing negative things like taxes or fees I believe which are an extra fee people have to pay), and then bid on the assembled bundles.

I don't own it, but looked into it quite a bit recently. I found a lot of people saying it's the best stock purchasing game. There's enough hidden information that it's impossible for you to calculate the perfect strategy. you just have to use the information you do have and hope you make a good decision

>>49745434
I honestly might say the resistance does it best. some people think deception murder in hong kong is a resistance killer though, so you might want to check that out. it needs 4, and is best with more. bgg says 7-9
>>
>>49744255
>Not recognizing that Betrayal is already campy genre satire
I think that it's not worth getting and I don't trust the lead designer to pull it all together, but humor should not only be embraced but expected in a game whose premise is already silly
>>49744415
Yeah, that was Mike Selinker, the hack
>>49744738
>Stockpile
Medium weight
>TIME Stories
From what I've seen, the average is 3 playthroughs. In at least one scenario, they force you to finish on the third playthrough by removing the time limit. There's only one expansion scenario imo where you'll be tempted to try it again after you've beaten it
>>49746168
Ha.
>>
>>49747085
I think it has something to do with player count too. I can't remember if we played Spectre Ops with 4 or 5 people, but I've heard others say it's a shit amount and makes it hard for the hunters to win which was definitely my experience. With FoD the amount of players doesn't matter since it's always the same in terms of what each side has.
>>
>>49747436

I'm well aware that Betrayal is campy satire, I'm afraid it's going to go full parody "wink wink" lolrandumb/referential humor.

I'm perfectly fine with the game going full "Charles Band" or "Roger Corman", I don't want it to go "Scary Movie" or "Ren & Stimpy"
>>
>>49747436
There's a fine line you need to ride with satire. The original betrayals rode that line well. It was tongue in cheek about what it was copying, but it wasn't putting the comedy into the script or anything. You didn't need to put that comedy in the script. You're playing a game, you're gonna laugh almost guaranteed at just the situations and your own personal implications. Putting wacky humor into the writing is entirely pointless getting one yuck at best, and putting stuff like a Trump reference is just completely outta theme. If nothing else, all the old stuff was at least on theme.
>>
>>49749500
>>49749776
>Widow's Walk turns out to be super serious and actually scary
>players have nightmares for months after playing
>the person who owns the game makes a suggestion to visit a certain house on a hill to get rid of their nightmares
>>
File: 1464183336005.jpg (1MB, 3780x1713px) Image search: [Google]
1464183336005.jpg
1MB, 3780x1713px
I have a bunch of boardgames, new and older ones and I need a website or program to keep track of them, one that preferably gives me recommendations of what to buy next, is there such a thing?
>>
>>49750985
Board game geek is pretty good for organising and keeping track of a collection as it has the largest game database, but it could be better IMO and as far as I know doesn't offer recommendations.
>>
>>49750985
Step 1 - Go to http://boardgamegeek.com/ and set up a user account. You can then list all of your games in your collection.

Step 2 - Go to http://www.gameshelf.se and list your bgg account to pull up your list of games and it can recommend games to you from your / others collections based on number of players.

There is a 'recommendations' link on the results page - it's just kind of sketchy. That said, you can go in and put in other gamer's names from BGG and see what games in a given category show up and use those as ideas for future purchases.
>>
>>49751032
>>49751095
check, cheers friendo's
>>
>>49746407

It shouldn't br that swingy, and if it is there's a simple explanation: You're bad, or your opponents are bad. Someone isn't putting enough thought and strategy into their turn
>>
>>49748970
Yeah, I haven't played it very thoroughly at all counts sp far. And the traitor hunter at 5p is weird as hell, takes some pretty creative play.
>>
>>49749500
I'd be perfectly fine playing Ren & Stimpy: The Boardgame.
Why isn't this a thing already? Gimme!
just checked BGG, there's some shitty kids game that has you dig through log pieces to find jigsaw comic book pieces, bleh
>>
>>49750985
There's a reddit bot that will analyse your BoardGameGeek collection data and auto recommend something based on your tastes
It doesn't really work until you've rated a bunch of the games you have, which is quite a hassle.
>>
I'm thinking of either getting Mage Knight or Blood Rage. Is the single-player in Mage Knight good?
>>
>>49752056
never played mage knight.
i own blood rage and it s pretty good.
i really like it
>>
>>49752090
Yeah, Blood Rage looks good from what I've seen. Does it have good replayability? That's pretty much always my #1 concern with games.
>>
>>49752111
i think it does. it s not a game where you play each scenario and move on like andor or M&M.
you can see it as chaos in the old world (say creator) with a draft phase for the action cards.
each age offer a different set of neutral monster to recruit in addition to your own clan.
you have to manage your rage, gain upgrade to increase the max #of figurine you can have on the board etc etc.
The asgard god expac s pretty good.
>>
>>49752146
Thanks, I'll probably pick it up then.
>>
>>49752056
Mage Knight is excellent solo, I tend to avoid paying with more than two though due to downtime concerns.
>>
>>49752440
I've heard it takes a really long time with 2+. Any idea how long a game might take?
>>
File: d538312513.jpg (628KB, 1756x978px) Image search: [Google]
d538312513.jpg
628KB, 1756x978px
what could i improve to this collection.
>>
>>49752508
Usually 1-1.25 hours per player, with the first couple plays being longer because the manual is terrible, at least with the early printings.
>>
File: mad23_main.png (148KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
mad23_main.png
148KB, 300x300px
Mansions of Madness getting a small expansion. More important than that though is that in addition to the 2 new campaigns with this is at least 2 new campaigns that will be up updated to the app for free that work with just the core game. The one thing it had less than first edition it'll now officially have more than.
>>
Not that often - when I do, it's usually Love Letter or maybe Monopoly Deal
Modern, but traditional games are what my family love to play
I helped crowdfund a card game once... does that count?
>Top five card games?
Love Letter, Monopoly Deal, Archaeology, Paperback and Word Whimsy
Ankh Morpork, Shadow Hunters, Ninja Burger
>>49736675
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnot really. This is one where I'll wait for reviews to come out before I play it.
>>
File: mechs-vs-minions-1200x630[1].jpg (893KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
mechs-vs-minions-1200x630[1].jpg
893KB, 1200x630px
>Tomorrow is the big day
>Don't care much about League, just want it because the game sounds really fun
>League is a benefit which will help me convince people to play it as my friends still play it
>League also means it'll be fuckin loaded with scalpers and a mad dash to get it, and they're using their own store only to sell it.
>>
>>49752090
Just got Blood Rage, better be good or I'm coming for you nerd.
>>
>>49755182
hope you wont be disappointed
i m liking it
post your first game recap later on.
>>
>>49755095
If I don't get a first print copy I will scream. I feel like this could be the GotY, board game or otherwise.
>>
>>49756460
>>49755095
trusting rito to do something right

the game might be good but... when i ll die i want riot to lay me dont in my grave so they can let me down one last time.
>>
>>49756549
when i first heard riot was making a board game i said "gross". but after all the honest coverage i've seen and how they are involving key board game reviewers in demoing the product (and not IGN or a game site for example), I know this will be good.
>>
>>49756622
Link to the game critic and stuff?
Yordles... I cant stand those.
Knowing riot they ll prolly try to milk that shit
>>
>>49756760
check out dice tower, watch it played, man vs meeple, shut up and sit down. they all have coverage of the game.
>>
>>49756549
Dice tower did a buncha on it, best is probably their Miami Dice on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMecbon7D_w
Yordles are just too marketable, and the fact that they're a chibi race probably make them natural fits for miniatures.
>>
>>49738110
>if I'm going to play one, it'll be where the narrative is built by the choices me and my friends make, not by a pile of card draws and die rolls

Fiasco
Fiasco
FiascoFiascoFiascoFiascoFiascoFiasco
Srsly, do it.
Do it naoughw!
>>
>>49752556
Adverse to sci-fi?
>>
>>49757453
Averse, you mean.
>>
>>49751471
We've never had that sort of problem with Fury of Dracula.
>>
>>49757899
Fury of Dracula is a far more simple game than Spectre Ops.
>>
>>49757965
if you say so.
>>
are there any games that feature cryptography? could be players trying to decrypt things the game provided, or it could be players encrypting things to keep from each other or something like that

I can't think of any, and it makes me wonder if it's possible while being fun. more than that, is it possible while being replayable. I think in the case of the first example you'd run into the same problem you do with games like consulting detective and time stories where once you've solved it that's it. the problem with the second solution is more implementing it and deciding if it's even worth doing
>>
do twilight imperium's third edition expansions exist? I can't find them if they do.
>>
I need some help organizing. I've got my entire Mansions of Madness 1st ed and now 2nd ed that I need to mix up somehow, not to mention I finally painted all the minis so I've got no idea how to safely move them.
I've also got all of Arkham, and I've literally got no idea how to organize that one.
>>
>>49760197
Literally first Google hit

Shards of the Throne
Shattered Empire

Also, Shattered Ascension fanmade ruleset.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Just finished spraying my PnP travel copy of The Duke. Made with an inkjet printer, PVA glue, sealant and a cereal box.
Pic looks shitty, but don't let that fool you... it looks shitty IRL too!
>>
>>49760414
>Shattered Ascention
Not to be underestimated either in effort required to implement it, or in payout for doing so. Still waiting on them to finalize their ruleset (ha!) so I can update my stuff.
>>
File: Finished - Magnetic 01.jpg (2MB, 2416x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Finished - Magnetic 01.jpg
2MB, 2416x1920px
>>49760811
I did something similar - I used card stock, but I folded my chits over a small square piece of sheet metal so I could put magnets in the board. (That way one could play while bouncing around in a car and not have the pieces move.) Then I laminated them. The only thing I didn't like was the original board image so I created my own. I glued that over the top of a piece of foam core board with magnets in the center of each square.
>>
File: The Duke alternate board.png (1MB, 2250x3000px) Image search: [Google]
The Duke alternate board.png
1MB, 2250x3000px
>>49761860
And the alternate board image if anyone wants it for their p-n-p version of 'The Duke'. I think it looks best printed on a marble stock paper
>>
>>49759374
Active encryption/decryption? Best I can think of is Mastermind, but that's old. If you're thinking more of a puzzle within a game, Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War and Stratego are the closest you're going to get to setting a logic puzzle/making someone else figure it out.
>>
>>49762109
when I first thought about it I was mainly thinking about active as a way for players to share information with specific other players without needing to leave the table, but I'm also interested in games where the game provides the puzzle and you're just trying to figure it out.
just curious to see how games would implement it desu

funny that you should mention mastermind though, since rising 5's kickstarter just launched and it's basically mastermind controlled by an app with a bunch of other bits thrown on top.
>>
>>49762301
Alchemists does this I think, where you try to figure which stuff works with which, and you use an app (or an included physical thing?) to test it, and if need be, verify the correct mixture if someone else disagrees with you.
>>
File: 033850_42813.jpg (79KB, 480x520px) Image search: [Google]
033850_42813.jpg
79KB, 480x520px
Have you guys played Mysterium? I've been very interested in it, but it costs quite a lot, and while it looks fun, I wonder how long the game will last.

Also should I go get the expansion while I'm at it?
>>
>>49763421
Most complaints usually come from the ghost player, whether it's too stressful deciding which cards go to who, or whether they find it dull as the other players try to figure out your clues. It's definitely a very group reliant game, so if you think you will enjoy watching your friends puzzling over your clues and missing the answer completely, it should be a good purchase, if not new then atleast second hand.

A common alternative recommendation is Deception: Murder in Hong Kong.

The expansion only adds more cards and no new mechanics, so you should probably purchase it when you need more variety in your already plentiful amount of cards.
>>
Terraforming Mars, hype or possibly good?
>>
>>49761860
Much better execution than mine, anon, that's a swanky Duke.
>>
>>49757781
I m not averse to sci fi. I have a bit of futuristic games.
Rex, android, infiltration, room25, you could even concider horus heresy as scifi.
One of my bigger grip is the fact ti3 will never be translated in french...
>>
>>49763830
Try it out on TTS
>>
>>49745434
Have you considered top secret spies(heimlich & co), Mascarade, saboteur?
>>
>>49763421

I love it but >>49763721 speaks the truth, you need a creative, open group to really enjoy it. Personally, depending on your finances, I'd get the expansion, it adds a whole lot of "more of the same" which means it wont make playing the game harder than it is, unlike most expansions that add a shitlot of mechanics. And you never know when an expansion might go out of print.
>>
>>49755182
So how did you like your first game of blood rage?
>>
File: IMG_20161013_034855.jpg (783KB, 1613x1210px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161013_034855.jpg
783KB, 1613x1210px
>>49760340
I've got all my Mansions of Madness stuff in 3 separate places right now which makes storage less ideal but actually playing the game great. I have the box which has all the tiles and cards and misc stuff, I have a double decker cardbaord box I made outta tape and the box they shipped me the game in to carry all the models because I realized leaving them unassembled, while capable of staying in the box that way, made it a pain in the ass to setup mid game. Lastly, I have this bin with removable shelves that is endlessly helpful for games with lots of tokens. Found it at Menards. was on clearance when I got it so this exact model might be gone now, just got them buy one get two a long time ago figuring I could find all kindsa uses, and it really makes it easy passing around the bin of stuff like clue tokens or map elements I can't easily reach.
>>
>>49763421
Its fucking great, played it after a dinner party once and it got the whole table going. Easy for non-gamers to play, but still good for regulars. I played the ghost (since I have the most gaming experience), and I didn't mind it at all.

But I'm also the sort of guy who will sit out a game and walk people through it to teach them how to play. I imagine if you get frustrated easily then it might be a problem.
>>
File: the duke.jpg (264KB, 1024x673px) Image search: [Google]
the duke.jpg
264KB, 1024x673px
I love the sound of this so I ordered it but I wonder if there is a variant that eliminates the random draw element. Is there a variant where both players are on equal footing without the chance of luck tilting things for a player?
>>
>>49766835
We always play like this:

Player A draws all his tiles from the bag, one by one, and lines them up in order of being drawn. Player B lines his tiles up in the order drawn by Player A. Both players have the same queue but the queue is different every game.
>>
>>49766875
Also, whenever you "draw" a tile from your queue you obviously only get to pick the left-most one. So you work your way from left to right as the game progresses.
>>
>>49760340
>Painted minis
Pics?

I posted about my storage solution here >>49737681 but no guarantees that it's light on the paint. I think you need to buy the Go7 Gaming insert. It's expensive and so far it only holds base game.
>>
>>49766875
>>49766893
Heh we do almost the same thing except we always get to choose whether to pick the leftmost or rightmost tile.
>>
>>49766835
Noice. I like random draws desu, that bit of randomness really works for me. Chess and its fixed board felt more like an excercise, Duke feels like a dynamic puzzle where you have to react and adapt instead of calculating 20 moves and choosing a move from a fixed playbook.

I know I'm a pleb, but Chess is just anti-fun.
>>
>>49755095
It's up! And their site is down...
>>
>>49770013
I made it to checkout... and I can't get to payment!
Roit pls...
>>
>>49770062

I can't even get that far. Anyone had any luck with this thing yet?
>>
>>49770524
Been refreshing for 50 minutes now. I added it to my cart but can't get to checkout. I called it that this whole "We're only selling it from our store" thing was a bad idea.
>>
well, it's not a limited production right? they should be selling this for a good long while
>>
>>49770588
True, and they even talked about bad wording in rules they would fix in future prints, but unlike electronics where we'll see restocks pretty quick, boardgames tend to take a long time restock. Maybe Riot would have the materials to restock it faster than say Fantasy Flight, but when other boardgames run out, you're waiting quite a few months.
>>
>>49770524
I haven't. From checking twitter and junk, people have been able to get through just by constantly refreshing.

>>49770588
They still have plans to make and sell more, but if you're not getting Wave 1, then you don't get the first print which is individually numbered, and if you don't get shipment #1 (which is already sold out in the EU), then you've got to wait until December (or later, if it's broken into more shipments) until it ships out. So not the end of the world, but still sucks very hard.
>>
>>49770776
I mean, Riot is a much MUCH bigger company than any board game company, and they definitely made a lot of investments to produce the game, they're also only printing this game, I wouldn't fret so much padawan.

>>49770786
>then you don't get the first print which is individually numbered

this is a dumb gimmick for "collectibles" you end up with some meaningless number which you don't care about

>it might ship later
That's ok, I'm sure you (like most of bgg) have a stack of board games you've played once or even not at all
>>
>>49770588
Next printing is Dec.
They said theyll be able to fill in all player demand when possible. Its just a matter of when.
>>
Alright, just got mine. Once you've got it in your cart, use this: https://na.merch.riotgames.com/en/checkout/onepage

Wait until it times out/stops loading to refresh because it takes a long time to connect; use multiple windows/tabs so you can have multiple attempts going at once.
>>
>>49770786
>then you don't get the first print which is individually numbered
That sounds a lot like scalper talk. I just want to play the game you asshole, get off my servers.
>>
Is Ticket to Ride as good as people say? I'm looking for games to play on holidays, and what I find with them is that they like strategy but with as little reading as possible. I've never actually played it myself but it's one of those games that shows up on everyones list.
>>
I know this is pure autism, but the covers for season 2 of pandemic legacy trigger me. for season 1, the blue box was the upper left part of the clock and the red box was upper right. for season 2 the blue box is bottom right and the red box is bottom left

why
>>
>>49770013
got my copy after trying for about an hour. im an NA person
>>
>>49771828

I fucking love it, it has it's detractors but I seriously have so much fun everytime I play it. And I have nearly 200 games in my collection so it's not like "oh, well, maybe if you havent played these great games you'll like this shit". Nah, it's great. Simple. A bit of randomness, lots of outplaying your opponents...
>>
File: 1465845131937.gif (2MB, 395x313px) Image search: [Google]
1465845131937.gif
2MB, 395x313px
>>49771963
>Got to checkout
>Was logged out but cart still had the item, checked out as guest
>Put in info as fast as possible
>Got to press place order
>Went to the can't load page
>No email confirmation
>>
>>49771828
I think it's without a doubt the best gateway board game. there are card games that are as good for introducing new people to modern games, but ticket to ride is the best for a full board game. it's stupidly easy to learn, but is still a ton of fun.

I prefer europe, but as long as you don't get rails and sails you'll be fine. the us map has the montana city in the wrong location and mislabels the minnesota city. most people won't notice, but it does trigger my autism.
>>
File: plane-600x337.png (254KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
plane-600x337.png
254KB, 600x337px
I'm going to spend 30+ hours in a travel, with no wifi and no companion.

Are there any /tg related, android apps that can cheer me up? Preferably free, my phone account is frozen.

I played ascention for few days alreay but it was meh. Any game that comes to my mind requires payment.

Help me bros. I don't mind playing with bots.
>>
>>49771828
Ticket to Ride is garbage, super boring, low player agency, it's bad
>>
>>49767947
>>49766893
>not drawing top to bottom
/bgg/ is full of savages

>>49770925
>this is a dumb gimmick for "collectibles" you end up with some meaningless number which you don't care about
Especially with a game this hyped, though I honestly can't think of a single game I'd want a first printing on, there's bound to be some production issue that'll be fixed later

>>49771828

see
>>49772059
>>49772586
>>49772641
It's got a lot of people who love it and highly rated gateway, but there are some who just can't stomach it, a lot like how people love/hate Carcassonne. UK added some nice meat to it, but Asia really upped the game for my group, it acoomplishes what And Then We Held Hands intended to do, and as a bonus you still get to crush your opponents without saying a word to your partner.

>>49772636
>Are there any /tg related, android apps that can cheer me up?
Lots
>Preferably free, my phone account is frozen.
Star Realms and the Tsuro clone are the only ones that come to mind, maybe Hearthstone if you're into that.
>>
>>49772636
There's tons of Android games you can get for Yarrr! free.
>>
>>49772636
Condado is a functional (if ugly) San Juan clone
>>
>>49772742
Is it really low player agency? I can like simple games but games, but making no major decisions is the deal breaker that made me dislike games like Formula D. I just want something that is a hit with my family because I don't want them to ever drag me into a game of Phase 10 again.
>>
>>49773008
No, it's on the lower end of the spectrum but it's not nearly as lucky as detractors like to say, and quite a bit more to it than either game you mentioned. There's definite choices to be made about how long do you build a hand before claiming routes, which segments do you pick without giving away the cities you're trying to connect, is it better to block an opponent who's being obvious. If you're too worried about it and don't wanna waste the cash, the digital version is like $5, and a very good port of the game, the difficulty is pretty accurate to most situations.
>>
>>49771828
I'll just add my vote in to say that it would be my go-to gateway game (Europe version). Simple to teach, easy to learn, still manages to have meaningful choices to it.

It's a game I'd be unlikely to bring to my monthly boardgaming group's table - so much more and so much meatier stuff around to play - but if there's a boardgaming newbie around, I'll happily play a game of TTR.
>>
>>49773074
I'll give it a look, thank you. One very last question:
What are the major differences between original, europe, and asia? I kinda want america because I like old americana railroads, but if it's just a flat out inferior version at this point I guess I could go europe.
>>
>>49772636
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/72020/android-versions-actual-boardgames/
>>
>>49772742
>>49772811
>>49772985
>Hearthstone
Shit, I forgot to mention that it has to be playable offline...
I know I wish for a lot with wifi-free and cash-free games but I'm departing in 10 hours and I forgot I will spend 20 hours in the air and +/- 10 hours on 3 different airports with empty smart-phone.
>>
File: ordered.png (428KB, 959x593px) Image search: [Google]
ordered.png
428KB, 959x593px
>>49772554
The nightmare is finally over for me.
>>
>>49773193
I have no experience with Asia, but US vs Europe:

Vanilla USA map has I think a bit of a balance issue in that generally, as you get more points per action and per card used by competing long (5-6 space routes), and the map has quite a bit of long routes especially on the western side, I would argue that the best bet in winning is to just hoard tickets, complete long routes, and do the absolute minimum necessary to finish your tickets (= connections between cities you get dealt in the beginning) and not necessarily use actions to pick up new tickets if you still can hoard and finish long routes.

Europe map has clearly a different balance with fewer long routes and more emphasis on actual play with the tickets = more importance in guessing and blocking opponent routes. Plus the gameplay additions (tunnels and stations) work IMO very well. It's more balanced I think.
>>
>>49773369
Ah, that's a shame, I hate when games that potentially have multiple strategies becomes dominated by 1 strategy. You say Vanilla, did an expansion or something ever fix America to be on par with Europe or is it just a case of flat out get Europe? I don't mean to push the region issue that hard, just curious. I'll probably pick up Europe.
>>
File: card-sizes.jpg (245KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
card-sizes.jpg
245KB, 600x399px
>>49773460
The ticket mix of the small 1910 expansion is a bit different, and it has the option of replacing "longest route" bonus points card with "most tickets" which again incentivizes actually completing shit. My gut feel was that 1910 tickets change the dynamic just the right amount that you probably fall short if you just put everything on long routes and ignore anything else.

Plus the 1910 expansions has real playing card sized tickets and replacement train cards which just makes it instantly nicer to handle.
>>
I'm 21 and never played Risk until the last day. Even though it can be justified by it's age it's really incredibly bland. What can i do to spice the game up?
>>
File: header.jpg?t=1475882328.jpg (42KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg?t=1475882328.jpg
42KB, 460x215px
https://www.chrono.gg/

tabletop sim for $8. lowest price it's ever been
>>
>>49773529
>Risk - What can i do to spice the game up?

Play one of the newer versions like Godstorm, etc. Or play a game with greater depth.
>>
>>49770925
My firmly held belief is that they priced this game at cost, and when an exec sees the demand they're getting they will either:
A. Raise the price on wave 2.
B. Forgo future printings.
Economy of scale does not fully explain the price. They're selling figurines the same size as the ones in the game for $25 each.
>>49773529
>buy Risk Legacy instead
>buy Star Wars Risk instead
>avoid giving Hasbro your money instead
>>49773672
>Godstorm
Not any better. Still a 3 hour slog
>>
>>49773257
Thank you.
>>
>>49773529
Play a different game? There's plenty of games in a number of great directions that have improved upon it drastically. I keep the game around because I'm a hoarder who doesn't throw out games, especially while I've still got quite a shelf to fill, but it's in my retired list.

If you want to keep the RISK familiarity, you could even go with Risk Legacy. You'll know the rules and strategies and have a wrench thrown in every time. Unfortunately though if you're just looking for a way to spice it up without spending anything, I don't know of any house rules or print and play maps. I'm sure they exist but I just moved on personally.
>>
>>49773647
thanks, fàm
>>
>>49773794
>My firmly held belief is that they priced this game at cost
Pretty much, on bgg they said theyre barely making a profit from selling each unit
>>
File: holy shit I made it.png (210KB, 720x459px) Image search: [Google]
holy shit I made it.png
210KB, 720x459px
I'm speechless, teeg. I'd almost given up hope
>>
File: 1463695135621.jpg (84KB, 1063x448px) Image search: [Google]
1463695135621.jpg
84KB, 1063x448px
>>49775079
That was super easy, I don't know what y'all were agitating about.
>hear all this hype over this game
>it's apparently being sold at cost
>worst case scenario i can scalp it
And that's how you justify irresponsible spending.
>>
>>49775277
I'd been trying since 10:58 am, made a last effort after reading a rioter was mashing F5 at the store for his own copy.
If a guy that'sin the loop was still going I figured I might have a chance.
Probably the traffic to the site subsided and made it easier by now.

And yeah, unjustified, irresponsible waste of cash it is, but I can't help but feel like I won something.

I'll probably sit on it for a while, see what Riot has up its sleeves.
>>
>>49775277
The initial rush was crazy but 30,000 copies lasted through the storm. Will probably still be in stock up to or through tomorrow. In retrospect, I shoulda just waited for the storm to pass instead of wasting my time, but eh.
>>
>>49775277
I checked /r/leagueoflegends 7 hours ago and the game didn't even make a blip. So it looks like only board gamers went for it so far. I guess it won't sell out until next month when the streamers play it on their ExtraLife streams
>>
>>49776453
wow, given the hype the boardgaming community had built, I'd have expected more from the vidya side
>>
>>49777263
We like to think boardgaming has grown so much and in some ways it has. The ridiculous amount of good games as of late is also helping. That all being said, we are still the most niche hobby and the idea of boardgames among most people is still "more like BOREDgames!"
>>
>>49777393
>idea of boardgames among most people is still "more like BORED-games!"

That's because main-stream companies are still pushing cash-cows like Monopoly (which is awful and was designed to be that way) which continue to hog shelf space in big box retail outlets. At least I'm finally seeing things like Catan, Blokus, Pandemic, etc starting to take up shelf space.
>>
wait what the fuck

why do tabletop sim mods not include the fucking images in the mod? why does it have people upload images to shit like imgur and then download from there? that makes no sense
>>
So is anyones MvM still processing?
Also i have a cancelled order of MvM in my ordered for some weird ass reason
>>
>>49778121
It really is a very unique problem we have. Every form of media has their "Yes it's bad, but it's popular!" problem, but anywhere else, those come and go and the truly good stuff tends to stick around or resurface. In boardgames, our classics ARE the bad games and the shit that has lasted 40-60 years and keep getting remade are just flat out awful. I remain a ridiculously positive person in the boardgame world because yes, you might like other games way more than Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride which are threatening the scene to become household games but I would take either of those games WAY over anything right now that is currently a household name.
>>
>>49778192
To avoid takedown orders from the publishers, they're done by fans not the actual board game companies.
>>
File: virgin-queen-cover.jpg (22KB, 160x210px) Image search: [Google]
virgin-queen-cover.jpg
22KB, 160x210px
>>49736600
Who here /gmt/?
I just found my copy of The Virgin Queen, currently recruiting friends to play it.
>>
File: 20161014_011350.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161014_011350.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>49778430
>Who here /gmt/?
On solitaire game #6 of the new Labyrinth expansion. Running Arab Spring and about to start dealing with some annoying cells in Pakistan. Also bought Grand Prix, and own all the COIN games.
>>
>>49778430
I have all the "essential" games.
Virgin Queen or Here I Stand.
COIN
Dominant Species
Sekigahara
Twilight Struggle
Labyrinth
>>
>>49779077
>>49778592
What are y'all's opinions on the COIN games? I've only played the Columbia one and am eager to try the rest out.
>>
>>49778430
Virgin Queen is probably my favourite game. I say probably because I've only played it 4 times, but man those times were a blast. Even my non-huge-game-enthusiast friends can at least tolerate it.
>>
>>49779247
Same here!
I find it's a really good introduction to historical strategy games, and the social aspect attracts a surprising number of people in my circles.

It's really satisfying to get a basket of favours as France from Spain after assassinating Queen Elizabeth with a handgun, only to see the Armada fail to poor dice rolls and a well-placed Tilbury Speech the next turn.
>>
>>49779280
It's one of those games that really generate stories every time you play.

I have played twice as the Ottomans, the first time I lost because things went too well; I built the suez canal turn 1, got a bunch of piracy VP and took Malta. I was at 24 (out of 25 vp needed to win) at turn 2, at which point the other players basically formed a coalition to keep me down. So I sat there and struggled with a constant 3-4 informers in my court, with espionage sapping my strength. Eventually France rose as the victor; he had just kept low and married absolutely anything. I think he had 9 vp from marriages.

The other game kept low until I was ready to sweep my Ottoman forces across the Holy Roman Empire, but I lost steam before I got the last key. In the meantime the Protestant had been showered with gifts from elizabeth, and through other card effects had 8 cards in hand, and he was basically able to just go "I win" once everyone else had spent their cards to stop me.
>>
>>49745434
Try shadow hunters
>>
>>49778253
I still think the main aspect that will forever keep it a niche hobby is their physical nature. Really, they share the same space as videogames; it's just so much more convenient and (mostly) cheaper to just buy a multiplayer game than organise a board game session.

Even many boardgamers question why you'd bother to play a board game solo when vidya exists and that's a huge factor, hence to rise of solo mode games getting kickstarted.
>>
>>49779687
That was a factor, but I feel like that's going down the less and less videogames have local multiplayer. In fact I think that's a factor as to why boardgames are having such a large resurgence. Videogames don't have the group factor they used to. Nintendo games are some of the few that try to do that and they're probably the least popular right now of the 3.
>>
>>49779677
second for shadowhunters
>>
>>49779779
My bros used to play local coop/vs vidya at my place on weekends but like you said theres rarely any local group factor anymore which is why i moved onto board games these past few months.
>>
>>49778221
Checked about 3 hours ago, they actually did sell out day 1, just took a bit longer than expected. Now only wave 2 is up for order. I'd check your order status based on the emails you got, might've gotten unlucky and submitted an order right as they sold out.
>>
>>49779956
quick question about Mech vs minions,
is the game available in every language?
2 of my group members are utterly clueless when it comes to foreign language/
>>
File: ba1[1].jpg (50KB, 600x884px) Image search: [Google]
ba1[1].jpg
50KB, 600x884px
>>49736600
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMecbon7D_w
>1m minute mark
>tom vasel made them change it from a competitive game to a co-op
>>
>>49780375
imagine having to deal with minions, while trying to destroy enemy nexus.
fuck that fat cuck, how can a guy have so much influence over a game design when he s just a freaking ugly neckbeard nerd on youtube, everytime i watch him i can smell his frustration of being a virgin in his late 30s/early 40s
>>
>>49780446
>everytime i watch him i can smell his frustration of being a virgin in his late 30s/early 40s
He literally has like ten kids.
>>
>>49780375
>>49775277
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFat least i can scalp it
>>
>>49780501
Don't talk about his wife's children.
>>
>>49773647
U a good goy ty
>>
>>49780446
Because A: He was one of the first, if not the first, major boardgame reviewer on the scene. Back that up with the fact the guy has been playing board games since their inception gave him a lot of street cred early on.

B. He's probably the most popular reviewer out there. The Dice Tower name is becoming synonymous with board gaming itself, especially now that they have their essentials line.

C. He has very loyal fans on BGG, and BGG being the largest collection of board games knowledge on the internet helps funnel new players getting into the hobby straight into Dice Tower reviews.
>>
Hello guys,
First time poster here.

I really want to get into board-games, and after playing a round of monopoly with friends I managed to convince them that BG are quite fun!

What are some good entry level games? Also what would you recommend for first time players? something that requires a couple of sessions to complete? or a game like monopoly where you finish a round in one sitting?

Thanks in advance guys.

P.S.
Should I open a new thread for it? or stay in the general?
>>
>>49778192
Hopefully they're not uploading to imgur. Best place to upload is Dropbox as it turns out. They do it this way because Berserk games doesn't want the liability nor the cost of bandwidth
>>49778284
Steam is in charge of all copyright claims on the workshop
>>
>>49780375
its more interesting to me as a co-op game rather than competitive. one of the most appealing things about mechs vs minions is that its NOT a moba in board game form. what you just described is a moba where you can barely control your hero. go play rum and bones
>>
>>49779817
Same. It feels like the only thing we could do is Fighting games anymore. Gone are the LAN party days that used to be all my birthdays.
>>49781638
There's all day affairs that exist, but generally you want games with a more modest playtime. The game that got me into boardgames is Cosmic Encounter. The game isn't terribly hard to learn and mechanically gives you a little of everything. Other recommended games for newcomers might be Ticket to Ride or Dominion (I'm not a fan of it but it's big for a reason). From there is just about your tastes. What you really want it off a game.
>>
>>49781638
I'm amazed you managed to get them into it with Monopoly. Read the thread and previous threads too, plenty of recommendations already. And no real harm in making new threads besides cluttering up the board, but you'll get more replies in the general anyway.
>>
>>49780375
He recommended that they do that. It probably didn't play well competitive. There's nothing about Tom that really loves Coop over Competitive. Most of his to games are competitive. Programming games though, not only is there no game really like it out there now, it also is a genre usually prone to make frustration that making it coop does a really good job of fixing.
>>
File: 1446994487419.png (3MB, 1833x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1446994487419.png
3MB, 1833x1500px
>>49781638
There's a lot of different mechanics in board games such as co-op, social games, area control games (aka dudes on maps), economic games, political games, puzzle games, war games etc, so there is a lot of choice for board games today. I'd recommend looking through pic related (it's a bit outdated but it's still pretty good) and researching them on http://boardgamegeek.com/ to find out what suits you and your friends best.

Additionally I'd recommend Cosmic Encounter, Letters from Whitechapel and Mysterium. Pandemic Cthulhu is a pretty good variant of Pandemic which I find a lot more enjoyable, but it's also harder to win (which might be a good thing if you like challenging co-ops)
>>
>>49782126
forgot to mention Codenames as another recommendation, that is a great social game
>>
>>49765139
Not playing it until the weekend when I meet up with my buddies. Great miniatures though. And I can't fit everything back into the box after taking it out to admire. Sad!
>>
>>49782126
>>49782111
>>49782090

>>49781638
Same guy here, any good website to buy board games online?
I can't seem to find any of the good games here since its not so popular, and good website that ships to Israel for a normal price?
>>
>>49782090
>Gone are the LAN party days.
Thankfully not around here, we're set to have at least 20 bodies next week.

>>49782408
>ships to israel
I could stow something in the box next time I have to ship a bike to the King of Jordan.
>>
>>49782126
>no king of tokyo

It's way WAY easier than new york man, tokyo is still more played and more popular because of how light it is
>>
>>49780375
>coop = bad

stay mad you dumb cuck
>>
File: ver.png (926KB, 668x980px) Image search: [Google]
ver.png
926KB, 668x980px
Idk if need to start a thread for this but,
What are the differences between thease?
Advantages/Disadvantages of each
What changes? what improves?
They are just expansions of the original?
>>
>>49783443

Pandemic legacy is a more advanced version of the game using the "legacy system" where you play in campaigns and every decision you make is final (as in, the game will ask you to write on the board, apply stickers, or maybe even rip up cards from time to time). Due to this nature, the game has a finite number of plays (12 to 17 or something). It may sound retarded, but it's actually pretty exciting.

King of New York is a more complex version of the game, adds more of a "spacial" component. It's more strategic, but a lot of people prefer the simpler, straightforward feel of Tokyo. If you want more strategy, pick NY, if you want more dumb fun, pick Tokyo, but the both games are pretty silly to be quite honest.

No idea about sushi go.
>>
>>49783523
I think sushi go just has more cards in the party edition
>>
>>49783523
Thanks!! I was looking for that kind of simple explanations
>>
>>49780375
>hurr coop is bad
They explained it in the interviews that it was originally suppose to be coop to begin with.
>>
File: billnye.gif (494KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
billnye.gif
494KB, 500x374px
>>49783443

Sushi Go Party is Sushi Go, but you can change the "menu"

Basically you keep all the Nigiri and everything else you and your group can choose to change (You can vote, draft them, pick them all randomly, etc.). Each other item falls under a different category of "Appetizers", "Rolls", "Specials" or "Dessert" that you can now choose to have in the game.

So in the Appetizer category, the base game uses Dumplings, Sashimi, and Tempura. Every game has to have 3 Appetizers, but Sushi Go Party adds 4 additional Appetizers aside from the originals to use. For example, you might choose Miso Soup, which is 3 points, but when it is revealed, everyone flipping it over has to say out loud, "Miso Soup!". If you are alone, you get the points but if multiple people call it, that card is worth nothing.

I'd say get Party, because even if you only ever want to play the original menu you can anyways, plus you get a board to keep track of your score easier
>>
File: why.jpg (77KB, 588x535px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
77KB, 588x535px
>group won't play most euros
>group won't play economy/engine building
>group won't play grand strategy
>group won't play wargames
>group won't play 4x
tfw

How do I educate these uncultured swine?
>>
>>49784385
>no euros
>no econ/resource management
>no grand strat
>no wargames
>no 4x
What WILL your group play?
>>
>>49779779
I think that's probably true. looking back, the times that I thought I liked video games the most were when I was playing a lot of splitscreen games with my friends. I used to consider myself a "gamer", but I would rarely devote the time to beat a game. I'd play a few hours of it, enjoy it, but never bother beating it. I think I only REALLY liked games when they had that social aspect to them

since I've discovered board games the only video game I've bothered playing is crusader kings 2, and even that I shelf for a few months and then binge on.

>>49783443
don't get pandemic legacy until you have a lot of regular pandemic plays under your belt. you could play the regular game with legacy, and just wait to start the campaign until you're comfortable with the game though

king of new york has some new mechanics, but I'm not sure of the differences as I've not played either. people who like the games seem relatively split on which one they like more, so it'd probably be safe to go with which one has the cooler monsters to you

sushi go party is a flat upgrade over sushi go. there's literally no reason to get sushi go. it's the same thing, but more
>>
File: 1.jpg (187KB, 1189x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
187KB, 1189x1200px
Betrayal at House on the Hill - thoughts?
>>
>>49784462
Mostly american style. Some gateway euros (TTR, Catan, Takenoko), party games, social deduction, fillers, dungeoncrawlers and thematic coops.
>>
>>49783443
I was never that into Pandemic. It's not a game I'd ever call people over for and it's too long for a quick filler game for me. Legacy upgraded it into a game I did want to host actual events for.
Sushi Go Party is just a flat upgrade.

King of Tokyo and New York are tough calls however. I would play King of Tokyo with my family though and New York... it adds just a bit too much complexity for new people but is too shallow for my gamers. There's a niche for it but it's a niche people grow out of fast.
>>
>>49784644
Terrible game by any objective standard.
Okay group storytelling device disguised as a game - as long as it's not important to you that the story be driven by your choices instead of dice and tile draws.

If that's what you want, go for it.
>>
>>49784385
I can honestly understand most euros since super dry games can be pretty lame.

then I assume grand strat and 4x are most likely because of the time commitment, which is unfortunate but completely understandable as well

do they not like most euros because of the boring themes, or is it more a mechanic/complexity thing? would they be willing to play agricola/caverna? should be an easy sell if enough of them like harvest moon
>>
>>49784775
I saw it on sale for 20$ and it looked nice, how is the replay ability?

Also does it not feel like a game? just a story with dice? is there any sort of strategic element? or is it more of a roll the dice and win if you are lucky.
>>
>>49783956
>>49783207
>co-op is good
If I want to play against algorithms I'll play vidya.
>>
>>49784910

Little to no strategy at all. Good replayability as the game comes with 50 different scenarios. It's all about the emergent storyline. Things come up and you piece together the story. Great stuff if you're into that sort of thing, some people seem to hate the fuck out of it though...
>>
>>49784910
There's a reasonable amount of replayability, there's a buttload of scenarios.
And yeah, it FEELS like a game, in the same way that snakes and ladders feels like a game to children.
You and the other players enter a house. You move around more or less randomly, creating a randomly generated house by drawing random room tiles, and finding randomly drawn things inside them. At some random point, the haunt starts, and you open the scenario book to a random page and a random player probably becomes a random bad guy. Have the remaining players randomly located the villian-defeating mcguffin or otherwise arranged themselves near the victory condition? They win! No? They lose!

I'm being a little reductionist, to be fair, but that's essentially the gist of it. For some people it's exactly what they want out of an evening with friends. I'd just rather be playing something with real player agency.
>>
>>49784644
It is thematically fun. Don't assume it's a going to be a good game though. If you get it for cheap, it makes a nice halloween play. The game though is ridiculously arbitrary who wins 90% of the time and the components are pretty wonky.
>>
File: Cosmic Encounter.png (525KB, 920x448px) Image search: [Google]
Cosmic Encounter.png
525KB, 920x448px
>>49785068
>>49785005
>>49784971
Thanks guys, I'm a newbie to all the TTG scene, I'm trying to find my entry level game.

Another question, what is the difference between both versions? from what I saw online the older one has nicer looking pieces, but the rules are bad and you can't add the expansions.
But essentially is it the same thing? can I just play with the rules of the newer version or are the cards printed with different wordings and everything changes?

Also would you say watching youtube gameplay of a game before buying it consist of enough research? or should I come here and ask?
I'm only saying this because from watching people play Betrayal at the House it looks like its pretty interactive, but most of you guys say its almost totally arbitrary.
>>
>>49785253
The fantasy flight ver is an entirely different game than the previous 2 incarnations.
You one the right one in that pic
>>
>>49784778
Problem is mostly the complexity/learning curve, dry themes and length just make it worse.
They're not willing to spend the time and brainpower to learn the rules and strategies for the games, so they like lighter games they can play without actually knowing how to play them.
>>
should I buy Cosmic Encounter for TTS on steam? Are there pirated files somewhere?
>>
>>49785253

A lot of rules were changed in the FFG version, it affects the cards and all. So definitely go with the newer version.

As for your second question, youtube definitely helps, but you'll get burned a few times. Thing is, you have to watch enough reviewers and play enough games to know how much their tastes overlap with yours. It's a hard thing. When I first got into boardgames I bought way too many games I ended up not liking because some reviewer said it's the "BEST THING EVER" but as it turns out, the games were not for me... Trial and error is your only friend, unfortunately.
>>
>>49785253
I know the new one looks like it has less flare to it, but making all the planets things you can easily arrange in front of yourself is nice and the UFOs stack nicely. The Fantasy Flight version is the way to go here. I know there's people who find certain aspects of the old one better, but as a whole you really should just get the new one.
>>
>>49785253
Watching youtube gameplay like wil wheaton does for game reviews is about as productive as watching james bond as a tutorial on picking up women. You may possibly learn some situationally useful information, but it's purpose is to entertain, not inform. I'd spend more time on dedicated reviews.
>>
>>49785306
I'm sure there are ways to get the pirated dlc, but I don't know of them

https://www.reddit.com/r/tabletopsimulator/comments/4b68xa/modpack_with_over_6000_mods_enjoy/

this has lots of games that were removed. has ghost stories, mascarade, and cosmic. there are 4 different cosmic encounter mods it seems, so you'll have to look into them/try them out to see which is best. the tts mod backup works well so you can look at the quality of the images before loading it up
>>
>>49785284
I don't think Agricola would be a good fit, even if building a farm appealed to them. The game punishes you when you don't build/breed/farm something, they'd think it's lame and wouldn't play again instead of finding a way to avoid the scoring penalties.
>>
File: pic2439223[1].jpg (2MB, 2000x1999px) Image search: [Google]
pic2439223[1].jpg
2MB, 2000x1999px
I see love for this game all over the place, when I look it up though I feel like I was late to the party. I can live without the kickstarter exclusives as sad as that makes me, but there's 2 expansions that I see with no plans for anyone to ever reprint.

Does anyone have only the base game stuff and think it'd be well worth the $55?
>>
>>49785405
The base game is still quite solid, it stands up well even without CMoN's garbage anti-consumer exclusive nonsense.
Just be forewarned that the "Awesome Vikings Fighting On A Map Ragnarok Fuckyear" part takes a noticeable back seat to card drafting in the game. If that still sounds cool to you, go for it.
>>
>>49785342
>>49785253

Yeah, Wheaton and guests are not trying to make an instructional, and some of the player interactions feel forced, but they do give you an idea of how the game would feel.

Betrayal is more of a narrative thing. Mechanically, there is some game to it, but it's secondary to how the scenario plays out. Some people LOOOOOOVE it, some people would rather have a root canal than play it.
I've had good fun with it, and I will play it if people want to, but it won't be first round pick if there's other options available.
>>
>>49785342
>>49785338
>>49785328
Thanks guys, its just that the old version is about 30$ cheaper (including shipping).
Guess I'll go for the first one and splurg a bit on my first game.

What would you say is a good amount to spend on a game? I've seen some go up to 100$, but I noticed that about 45~ is the average.
>>
>>49785515

I'm the wrong person to ask, I've spent truckloads of moneys on games. I wouldnt even dare to calculate how much I spent on shadows of brimstone...

But more realistically, a game's worth is entirely dependant on how much you like it. I'd rather spend a hundred on a game I fucking love than buying three 25 $ mediocre games.

I would say, until you have narrowed down your tastes, dont spend too much on a single game I guess ?
>>
>>49785515
Guessing the price difference means the Avalon Hill one is likely a used item with some wear, while the FFG box is new.
Fantasy Flight games usually have great production value. Amazing artwork, good quality printing, good quality cardstock, thick cardboard, loads of plastic minis, chits, tokens and assorted bits, which may not be essential for playing a game but are cool to have.
>>
>>49785566
I looked through about 10 games, and Cosmic Encounter looks like the best game to start with, and it looks like it caters to a broad audience so I think I can get my friends to join as well.

Thing is TTG aren't a big hit where I'm from, so I gotta order it from amazon with an added 15~20$ shipping.

So a 45$ game turns into 60$.
>>
>>49785515
first of all, what country are you in? that has a pretty big bearing on the price of games

but honestly the price of games really depends on the components and who the publisher is

if you'll be ordering from amazon, you should take a look at sites like http://camelcamelcamel.com/ and https://thetracktor.com/ to see what the average price of a game is. I try not to spend more than $5 over the average price of a game.
>>
>>49785637
Wut.
Are you in the US? Amazon has free shipping on orders over $50.
>>
>>49785515
It's cheaper? Really? One of the old ones I'm looking at seems to be going for collectors item levels of inflated prices and the other only matches the new one in price. I would rate my games like this:
Premium game: $75-$100+
Ridiculous amount of good looking pieces. Heavy research necessary as to how good of a game it is, but the good looking nature of the game will certainly draw people in once you have it. Some reviewers can get a little overhyped by the look but I trust people like Tom Vasel to cut through that pretty well given he never feels like he's financially invested in a game and wants to mark it higher for that reason alone.

Average game $40-$60
This is going to be your run of the mill price. What you see is what you get and people will generally review it fairly to the best of their ability. It'll always waver as to what people want out of a game but generally you should expect this to hit the table a decent amount of time and not take too much investment in either time or resources.

Simple game: $10-$25
These are going to be the most iffy review wise. Yes, you didn't waste much getting the game but people will often make this an automatic pass to bad games. There's gems in here and you want some in your collection as filler titles, but definitely research at least the genre or you'll find yourself with a pile of trash that "You only spent $15 on!". There are good simple games but too many people think simple is the reason it is good.
>>
>>49785664
>>49785678
Israel, The average cost for a game is about 40$, but I think the only TTG i've seen are Settlers of Catan (base game only) and Monopoly.
>>49785727
The older version sells for 25$ on Amazon.
Where would you rate Cosmic Encounters on this scale?

Also just so you guys understand, this is an entry game for me.
I'm not looking to build a huge collection, just a game to get stuff rolling and see how my friends work with TTG, since you can't play alone.

I understand its not a cheap hobby, but if the ball gets rolling I can get each guy to pitch 10$ and we can buy the more expensive stuff, but I need a game to get stuff moving.
>>
>>49785855
Cosmic is a pretty solid game for that purpose. Thematic, social, players are relatively engaged during each other's turns, doesn't last that long, replays well.
>>
>>49785855
cosmic encounter would be average. lowest it's ever been was around $30, but it usually hovers between $40-45

that's really strange though, because the older version (avalon hill, the one from your picture) is currently $150 on amazon in the us

and by the way, we all felt the same way when we bought our first games. none of us got into the hobby thinking we'd own 100+ games, yet you constantly see people talking about needing to buy new shelves to store all their games.
>>
>>49785855
Cosmic is an average game, probably my favorite average game. Got more plays outta it than most of my premium games. It got the ball rolling with my group so best of luck.

I say start with that and see how it goes. A good collection starter I say is 2 average and a simple game.
>>
File: Untitled.png (30KB, 1077x131px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
30KB, 1077x131px
>>49785977
So should I go for it?
>>
>>49786030
yes just 25$ it s not the end of the world
>>
>>49786052
Im not looking for the collectible value, ill just get the latest version of the game so I can enjoy the full experience.

Ill let one of you guys enjoy the 25$ gem(?)
>>
>>49784644
You could theoretically have fun being around people you like while also in the presence of this game.

If you're not around people you like, this game becomes far, far less appealing. You will find yourself going through the motions wishing you were playing something engaging. You may even find yourself eliminated from the game halfway through, where the occasional distraction of moving your piece towards an obvious objective, with no strategic planning necessary, isn't even an option. In which case you will have your phone out until the game is over or until you find a polite excuse to leave the table.
>>49785306
Theoretically it isn't hard to find someone else hosting a game of it. The designers used to hold Friday night sessions but I haven't seen any invites recently (I think shitters ruined that)
>>49786030
Huh, that's neat. Just remember that the Avalon Hill edition has worse component quality and fewer aliens. Look up the cosmic encounter wiki to see how it compares
>>
>>49786086
i dontknow if the game is rare, i just know the game is nice.
>>
>>49786030
I honestly don't know enough about that version to pass judgement

but a big reason people love cosmic encounter so much is because there are so many different aliens with very different abilities. but that's in the fantasy flight version which has multiple expansions which just keep adding new aliens

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/500796/whats-different-between-avalon-hill-fantasy-flight

the very first reply is tom vasel. he's the biggest board game reviewer out there, has played thousands of games, and his favorite game of all time is cosmic encounter. if he says one version is superior to the other, you can probably trust him.
>>
>>49773647
i bought 3 copies for 24 bucks, almost as much as 1 copy costs on steam. righteous

also, just saw this. seemed interesting enough to share. some guy made a puzzle box for a DnD group.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwS8_ealMVU
>>
>>49786540
that is pretty neat. I don't play rpgs, but there was a comment on the video that (while being autistic) did make some sense. he said it was a cool device, but that it'd detract from the role playing since you're not solving something based on the attributes of the characters you're playing as, but you're using your own smarts to overcome the challenge
>>
>>49779156
If you like asymmetrical gameplay and you're ok with the euro look, then they're great. If you hate reading rules or can't find 4 people to sit down with for 3 hours minimum (and don't want to play solitaire), then you may want to pass.
>>
>>49784385
>>49785284
>They're not willing to spend the time and brainpower to learn the rules and strategies for the games.
>How do I educate these uncultured swine?

Never try to teach a Pig board gaming. It just wastes your time and annoys the pig. I would honestly suggest moving on and finding a different gaming group for your 'more brainy' gaming goodness. Sadly sometimes you outgrow people.
>>
>>49788737
Yeah, I guess I'll have to find me some "serious" gaming buddies. Light stuff is fun, I have no problem with that, but sometimes I need something to chew on.
>>
>>49788737
I'm not a big player of bigger games like that, but there is a good deal of stuff I will play that fits much more in the strategy or euro category. The one thing I would recommend selling it to people like me is playtime. Strategy isn't an issue, rules can be learned with a good teacher, but 6 hours of my life is where I draw the line and ask myself how much I really want to play.
>>
Is there much difference between Through the Ages: A Story and A New Story?
>>
>>49785855
My first game was Flashpoint. Challenging, required strategy to win, easy rules, and explaining explosions and how fire spreads was always a treat. Outgrew it quickly, but it got my friends playing more.

I disagree with Cosmic Encounter being a good entry game, mainly because of how heavily it relies on negotiation and how different it is from what your friends might be used to. Depending on your friends, they might be ok with it, but some might get tired out by all the talking, and the ones who expected to move around cool game pieces and doing things with it might get disappointed. It's also why Betrayal is a popular entry point. Walking into a room, discovering something, having something bad happen to you, getting cool stuff, then revealing the bad guy is pretty close to the usual experience a video game player might get, while easing them into being more social with other players and letting them enjoy the tactility aspect of board games.

That said, Cosmic Encounter is still a good game, and I might be underestimating people's capability of moving away from their comfort zone, especially since communication isn't completely absent from digital gaming. Plus stuff like Codenames is also a popular entry point, and that's even more of a talking game than CE is. Whatever you do choose to play though, remember that they took off time from their lives to spend it with you, and winning isn't as important as having fun.
>>
>>49791914
Enough that you might as well get the new one if you don't own TTA, but not enough to upgrade
>>
I just forced my friend to buy Mansions of madness 2nd edition.
Hows the game?
>>
>>49792761
How exactly did you force him?
>>
>>49793595
I dont know why the fuck i went full retard when I typed force instead of coerce.
>>
>>49792761
You're a terrible person who just made a guy purchase one of the worst examples of modern boardgaming and it's downwards spiral.
>$100 and they couldn't be assed to make even 20% of the models look good, let alone fit in their peg
>Removes the one redeeming feature of the game and replaces it with a shitty app that'll just make for betrayal levels of lol randomness
>Less content in almost every regard to the actually cheaper first edition
>Barely even need the board aspect anymore with how much shit the app wants to do. Basically they let you roll dice as an act of pity
>No decisions to be made

>>49790049
Sadly that's going to be hard nowadays. I used to tolerate ameritrash but the market has shaped itself around them so much. I can't remember the last time I played a modern game that had me make one decision of any impact.
>>
>>49784945
Ok but dungeon fighter
>>
>>49794239
Is it really that shit? I can definetly agree about all the app shit which is why i coerced him in taking the blow rather than I.
Its only 70ish on amazon
>>
>>49794256
It's in the same catagory of "not game" as Betrayal, in fact it's basically the exact same game. You walk around a shitty randomly generated house until you stumble upon something in which dice will determine if you live or die. That's it, that's everything the game has to offer. Congrats on dodging the bullet and send my condolences to your friend for the loss of $70.
>>
>>49794313
Well bias or not thats kinda what i expected from the shit ffg makes, which is competitive dice rolling. I hope someone just burns all of ffg dice distributors.
In turn i pay for like 90% of the boardgames we play so the guilt doesnt hit me as hard.
>>
>>49794374
And yet you keep giving them money. Say that shit all you want, you're the reason this age of ameritrash is lasting so long.
>>
>>49794393
> Say that shit all you want, you're the reason this age of ameritrash is lasting so long.
Hey, i aint denying what i did wasnt my fault which is why i used coerce/force instead of sugarcoating the words.
And thats cool if it lasts, people buy what they like, if it appeals that means it works so more people can ejoy the hobby.
>>
>>49794451
>I'm ok with the hobby being destroyed because people are coming to the hobby now
And here we enter the problem of poor anon up there who just wants to play any game of actual substance when all his friends are retards who will drop boardgames like a fad in a month. There's honestly no difference between these people and the people who think boardgames are all monopoly and sorry.
>>
>>49791915
We are used to the bargaining thing, since the only TTG that people played here is Monopoly (and everyone here played Monopoly) so we got the bargaining and trading for houses / cards down.

It just looks like a game you can play multiple times since every alien race changes the game drastically, but how many times are you willing to sit throw an hour of dice rolling for a mediocre story where you don't really get to do anything that helps you win.

That said I did find out Settlers of Catan is popular here and sells for ~ 40$, looks nice, but it looks like the type of game you stop playing after 3~4 times.
>>
Resisting the urge to respond to shitposts just keep getting harder these days.
>>
>>49791915
I feel like people overestimate how dumb people are. Cosmic ran amazingly with a group of friends whose only other modern boardgame experience was Cards Against Humanity and Red Dragon Inn. It might be the fact that I'm admittedly an above average teacher of games, but once I explained encounters and everything and the first turn was over, the only issue we had was explaining when the various phases were for the sake of cards people wanted to play, which was a card by card basis. (Eventually it clicked with them that the bottom of the cards all told them what phases the cards were good for)
>>
>>49794477
If you like the bargaining part of Monopoly, then you'll probably "get" Cosmic Encounter quickly. Sounds like you'll be able to have fun with it then.

>but how many times are you willing to sit throw an hour of dice rolling for a mediocre story
Betrayal has 20+ stories by the way, many owners haven't even played through them all. And not getting to do anything that lets you win is a common exaggeration; while it can be difficult to move towards your victory condition or even impossible to recover from a bad position due to the randomization, you can definitely have some semblance of strategy depending on the scenario you get. If you don't like inconsistency while playing a game, avoiding Betrayal would be a good choice.

>>49794506
Could be, I admitted that myself towards the end. The perspective might have come from a friend of mine who watched us playing Descent and said that we talked more than we played, which may or may not have made him more resistant to trying new games. Most probably it's just him though.
>>
>>49794555
Thanks man.
I also came across Smash Up, which looks like a super fun game and its pretty cheap.

Any tips about buying it? I noticed there are a couple of versions and expansions, should I look for something specific? do they come bundled?
>>
File: 1463469853799.jpg (145KB, 762x604px) Image search: [Google]
1463469853799.jpg
145KB, 762x604px
>>49794374
>bashing TI3, CitOW, and CE
>>
>>49794705
TI3 was before their Asmodee days, CitOW is very distinctly no longer theirs, and CE officially jumped the shark with it's new expansion.

Their former glory is long gone.
>>
>>49793595
>>49794239
>You're a terrible person
I wouldn't go as far as judging you for that, I also push people to buy games they want, since it's me who has bought most of what we play in our group.

I haven't played MoM 2nd, so I'd give it the benefit of doubt.
Wait, play, decide for yourself. However valid /bgg/'s opinion may be, it is still just an opinion.
>>
>>49794477
If your group is fresh off Hasbro-tier games, Catan is also a good option, it's a good entry-level euro, and apart from the bland design, it doesn't lose its appeal that fast. Consider the Seafarers expansion if you do go for it, it'll add to its shelf life.
>>
>>49794750
Oh you meant strictly in the present?
Totally agree
>>
>>49794750
>CE officially jumped the shark with it's new expansion.
Fuck this mean
>>
File: SmashUp3DBox_Small.png (2MB, 1302x729px) Image search: [Google]
SmashUp3DBox_Small.png
2MB, 1302x729px
>>49794672
added pics, from my understanding the munchkin version plays the same but with different cards.

Should I just grab the normal version and later on buy expansions?
>>49794991
Thanks man, but I don't think this game will last with my friends.

What do you think about Smash Up?
>>
>>49795038
It's an expression used when someone in a movie or series does something unbelievably outrageous in a clumsy attempt to get or regain the viewer's interest. Eye rolling or derisive laughter ensues.
>>
>>49795153
I know all about the Fonz bro I was asking why Cosmic Eons is apparently so bad
>>
>>49795231
I just read FFG's announcement article and aside from the hidden alliance variant it all looks pretty good
>>
>>49795231
Dunno. People like to wail and cry foul for the weirdest reasons.
>>
>>49794672
If I'm not mistaken someone mentioned that certain combinations of factions(?) can be overpowered, but other than that it didn't interest me enough for me to find out more about it. Maybe someone else can offer more help.
>>
Ok guys I wanna thank you all for helping me choose.

I narrowed it down to 3 games.

Smash Up - looks fun, different combinations can lead to a lot of games without it getting stale.

Cosmic Encounter - Same as Smash Up, looks really fun and since you change race every game it adds to the replay value of the game.

The Duke - Since its a 2 man game I don't know how much play time ill get from it, but it looks super fun, a nice spin on Chess.
>>
>>49796027
Smash Up gets boring really, really fast. The novelty wears off quickly.
>>
>>49796027
>The Duke - Since its a 2 man game I don't know how much play time ill get from it, but it looks super fun, a nice spin on Chess.

There is a free to play 'Print -n- Play' version right from the authors of the game. You can try it before you buy it so to speak.
>>
>>49796171
Thats nice to know.
I work at a print house, so yea ill give it a shot.
>>
>>49796161
>Smash Up gets boring really, really fast. The novelty wears off quickly.
Problem is that you kinda need to play one faction at least a couple of times to get the hang of them but by that point...
>>
>>49796213
Be sure to scale it up by 100%, the PnP tiles are tiny 2cm squares. Expansion tiles for the Duke and The Jarl are also available on their website.
>>
>>49796503
Is it all A4 size? I'll fit it into an A3.
Same goes for the board?

I can also print it on a sticker and stick it on cardboard, any cool looking fan made boards / pieces out there?
>>
>>49796213
If you're doing PnP then try and get the PnP version of Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space, pretty simple and fun hidden movement game.
>>
How was Scythe received here?

It looks great to me but I'm worried I'm getting swept up in its hype.
>>
>>49796572
So far the feedback has been that it's a solid offering with replay-ability. It is 4x like so that may or may not be to you / your group's liking.
>>
Citadels is on sale for 14 dollars on CSI. I've been interested but could use some opinions on quality.
>>
>>49796503
I created my own version of the board - it's here for the grabbing if you want >>49761888 (I printed my on marble stock paper and it has a nice stone appearance) along with a shot of my finished copy >>49761860
>>
>>49796596
Honestly I like the current version much better in terms of artwork over the shots I've seen for the 'new version'. The current version is popular with my regular group - we'll probably play a few rounds this afternoon. I'm thinking of snagging another copy of the current version for my friends.
>>
>>49796591
>It is 4x like
I've never played a 4x, but it's a lot less about exploring the board and conquering areas, and more about building an efficient engine with whatever you have. You only really need to spread out if you needed to do it for your engine anyway, or towards the end to get more points from having more territory.
>>
>>49796591
Don't have a regular group, so board game buying for me comes down to "buy things you think are really cool and hope you can play it/convince gf to play it if it supports 2p".

Speaking of which, how is it at 2p? It sounds like there's just less combats happening, but I'm okay with that since I'm not a huge fan of direct confrontation.
>>
>>49796618
Looks nice, ill use it!
And the piece are printed on normal colored paper? did you scale it up like the guy said by 100%?
>>
>>49796629
Do you know what the difference between these two are?
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/135271
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/231359
>>
>>49794239
>>49794313
Holy shit dude how can one person be so mad? You've clearly clearly never played it (I warned bgg days ago >>49738533 that there are people out there like this)
>>
>>49796804
>Citadels: Classic
O dam I haven't seen this. That's so strange
>>
File: Progress 02.jpg (181KB, 816x529px) Image search: [Google]
Progress 02.jpg
181KB, 816x529px
>>49796650
I understand what you are saying. That's why I used "4x like" and not "It is a 4x game". And your description sounds a lot like the middle / late game in a lot of rounds of Eclipse (which is a true 4x game).

>>49796710
In my case, I used my board with the larger squares and simply printed the pieces on colored card stock at their default size. I carefully scored the back of the chits so that they would fold over correctly / more easily and I glued them together with a square of thin sheet metal so I could use magnets in the board for my travel version. Once the chits were dry and flat I laminated them so they'd be even more durable. Hope that helps!

>>49796804
The 2nd 'classic' edition (less expensive one) lacks the expansion that came out later for Citadels. You want the first one.
>>
>>49796986
I don't think I have marble paper at work nor will I use metal, but I do have some Scroll paper and foam boards, ill make something of my own!.
>>
>>49794470
Well that's just like your opinion, man

Seriously though wtf are you on about? The hobby is being destroyed? As if there isn't room for the shitty games you like and the nice ass games anon likes? (See where trying to make opinions sound objective get you?)

Hope ive made my point, nerd
>>
>>49795135
>>49796027

The game has very significant balance issues, with some races being absolutely worthless, and only a couple must haves.

The game itself is moderately fun and has some decent replayability. It works just fine for lighter gaming groups as its almost a party game.

It's an above average game that fits really well into gaming groups who don't like spending a lot of time worrying about strategy.
>>
Im very salt.

I met up with some non gamers, trying to sorta introduce them to the hobby. I brought a box of like 20 games none of which any of them heard of. They were expecting monopoly and chess. Anyways, i figure codenames and for sale would be good sorta beginner games to just get them used to the idea of something new. Codenames was easy, great, they loved it, beautiful. Pretty much why i have the game is for that widespread enjoyment. Then we play for sale. Of the four of them, none of them understood the game. How the fuxk.... i mean literally the simplest game i have. Eventually 2 of them understood and the orher 2 just left lol

One dude just wanted to drink and have nothing to do with the games which was annoying af coz when he did participate it was like he might as well hadn't...

I only know 3 people who are able to think and actually have fun with something other than poker and monopoly. Thank the heavens i at least have them.
>>
>>49797321
Me and my friends aren't into TTG at all, its something I always wanted to get into and since we had a try with Monopoly and everyone enjoyed I thought i'd try and get the ball moving with a game.

I wanted CE but its 65$, while SU is 30$ (with shipping for both).

So I thought I might try it out with SU and if we are enjoying it ill have everyone toss 10$ in and we can play CE.
>>
>>49797402

This is what I (>>49797402) am afraid of.
I don't want to spend 65$ on CE just so my friends bitch about it and not understand how to play.
So I thought i'd go for the low risk and get SU.
>>
>>49796027
Ok anon this is a straightforward decision :
Dont get smash up
Get cosmic
If you want a 1 v 1 then instead of duke, id recommend you get patchwork or/and onitama

get patchwork and cosmic, trust me <3
>>
>>49796659
Get patchwork
>>
>>49797473
I think ill take you guys's word on SU and just get CE, I won't get patchwork since I dont need 2 player stuff since we are a group of 4~6 people.

Duke I'll just download the PnP version and make something nice out of foam board and some colored papers.
>>
>>49797528
Already have it and think it's great.
>>
>>49797418
It'll be OK, anon, it's a good start. I've introduced people to gaming with heavier stuff, CE and Smash Up are about the same as difficulty goes.

>>49797399
I feel ya. A friend asked me to bring some games to a !party at a guy's house, he said his friends were super into Risk and they wanted to play AGoT. I knew that was a bad idea, so I took AGoT just for show, but brought Cosmic Encounter, 7 Wonders, Forbidden Island to pitch to them.
Also some fillers, just in case.

They'd been playing drinking poker and were pretty much smashed by the time we got there. Absolutely unable to grasp rules. So we played Bang! Dice. Or tried to.

4 of em actually tried to play, 3 got the game by the third round, 1 was confused and just did whatever. The last guy was wayyyy too fucked up and was being super disruptive and annoying. Actually tried to fight his friend when he got eliminated, slipping some nasty commentary about our mothers too.
Then we tried to play Las Vegas, and that took them a lot longer to figure out. Drunkie kept trying to roll the dice other people had rolled and set. They yelled at him to fucking stop it, and he snapped back at em that he didn't give a fuck and was gonna keep rolling anyway.

Drinks were spilled, cards were bent, and I was relieved it was dice games we were playing. I was a guest at guy-that-I-didn't-know's place, so I managed to keep a straight face, and finish the night without dismembering anybody, but I'll be damned if I ever go back to those assholes.
>>
Pretty solid light game night last night.
A quick three player draft in Epic, a couple rounds of Codenames, a few rounds of Mafia de Cuba, a full length game of Chaosmos that went down to the wire as usual, and a few rounds of Welcome to the Dungeon to finish off the night.

Still mostly filler stuff, but I that's what I get when people are coming and going all evening due to weird schedules.
>>
>>49796596
citadels is pretty great. works well with a variety of player counts and is pretty easy to learn

>>49796804
citadels classic is garbage. they removed a lot of the bonus content (most if not all of the expansion that's been included for like a decade now) and gave it a ticket to ride sized box for no fucking reason. one of the great things about citadels was it was in that tiny box

you should be okay buying the $14 version though. it looks like they're trying to get rid of stock of the old version to make way for asmodee's abortion https://www.asmodee.us/en/games/citadels/products/citadels/

which is apparently going to be in stock very shortly, so if you have any interest in citadels I'd pick it up now. although you should take a look at the new version's art and make the decision for yourself
>>
>>49797282
Pray tell, what am I wrong about? The difference between you and me here is I gave specifics while you just attached shitty to your post.
>>
>>49796855
His mother got gangbanged by the creators of MoM which is why it triggers him when he sees the word mom.
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.