[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General - /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 50

File: 1475372369786.jpg (670KB, 1106x1242px) Image search: [Google]
1475372369786.jpg
670KB, 1106x1242px
/bgg/ - Board Games General

>>49599075

Resources (reviewers, /tg/ groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What are your top 5 (or 3 at least if you're too lazy) essential games, that EVERY gamer should have. One requirement cannot be oop.
>>
>>49664724
>>49664892
was already answered in the last thread, but whatever this one could use a bump

it's android netrunner. I've never played, and didn't know the base set included no huwhites, but I did notice how few there were when looking into it a while back.
>>
File: XZN7yTw.jpg (364KB, 1000x419px) Image search: [Google]
XZN7yTw.jpg
364KB, 1000x419px
>only 500 are being produced

Is your wallet ready? It's $60.
>>
File: 20161002_234014.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20161002_234014.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>49668765
I love jaipur but not tgat much (sorry jaipur guy, wherever you are)
>>
>>49667741

>What are your top 5 essential games

I do not believe in such things. My natural instinct would go to Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Dominion, For Sale and Bang the dice game but not everybody likes them, there's no strict rule. Heck, I'm getting rid of Dominion soon (too many deck builders syndrome)
>>
>>49667741
imo an essential is a game literally anyone could pick up, and are universally loved. Therefore
>Las Vegas
>Hanabi
>Wits and Wagers
>>
>>49667741
>What are your top 5 (or 3 at least if you're too lazy) essential games.
i d say :
settler of catan easy entry game
twilight imperium space opera war game
tribun
fury of dracula 1 vs the rest hidden movement
the resistance hidden agenda and manipulation (i would have said diplomacy but too many people got friendship broken over it)
>>
>>49667741
Kemet
Castles of Burgundy
The Resistance: Avalon
Snake Oil
Pandemic

I don't think these are the best games necessarily, but I think if you had these five you'd have a game to play with just about any group of people you might be with.
>>
I was wondering, a while back I posted my rules for "Epic Resident Evil" for another anon.

If you're here, have you got to try it yet ? Did you like it ? I'd love some feedback.
>>
>>49669409
Are you on drugs?
Catan is garbage.
TI3 despite being awesome is the very definition of a game that NOT everyone should have or would like.
Fury of Dracula is in the same boat because it's also long as balls and has huge potential for butthurt.
And Resistance is one of the worst hidden role games out there, devolves completely into who can shout IM NOT A SPY more convincingly, no one has any interesting decisions to make about when or how to lie.
>>
>>49667741
I can't say these are "essentials" I would expect to see in every self-respecting boardgamer's shelf - rather they are a sweet five I could narrow my shelf down to if threatened to do so at gunpoint (or more realistically, what I might actually ship with me if I had a longer work sting abroad):

Gang of Four - Excellent card game that is way more portable than the rest. Goes nicely in one's bag.

Puerto Rico - Classic midweight euro, reasonable scaling by player number.

Caylus - Another proven but a bit heavier euro.

Commands and Colours: Napoleonics - Light and enjoyable piece of wargaming to go with the heavily euro five.

Mage Knight with Lost Legion expansion - heavy, deep and meaty, but also thematic. Very nicely soloable.
>>
>>49669813
come on catan is great to introduce people to board gaming
TI3 is the game every game should have

fury of dracula looks fun but i havent had the chance to play since the new ed got release
a better hidden agenda would be battlestar galactica
>>
>>49669813
I find that in resistance with 5 players, if I'm resistance I'm usually right about who the spies are. In larger games where you need two failures on certain missions it definitely does feel like it's impossible to do it without wild guessing, though I suppose the point is to read the table, not the cards. However, I also think resistance is "essential" because it's easy to teach and plays up to what, ten or something? That alone makes it the most flexible hidden role game that actually has substance.
>>
>>49669911
Not that anon but. . .
Mafia de Cuba completely replaced Resistance for me. You lose 5 player compatability, but like you said 5player resistance is just too easy so it's not much of a loss.
And if you want to run five or less anyways one night revolution is a much more interesting puzzle.
>>
>>49667741
>Games every gamer should have.
"Gamer" huh?
I'll assume we're talking about games a guy who's already beyond gateways would want to play with other guys who are beyond gateways.

TI3
Puerto Rico/Brass
Dominant Species
Commands & Colors: Ancients
Android: Netrunner
>>
>>49670111
>I'll assume we're talking about games a guy who's already beyond gateways would want to play with other guys who are beyond gateways

I think we shouldn't narrow down OPs question. Let everybody say what they think should be 5 games one must have in his opinion.
>>
File: chinczyk.jpg (69KB, 750x470px) Image search: [Google]
chinczyk.jpg
69KB, 750x470px
Guys I'm looking for a light games I could play with my mother (60 yo) but also enjoy with other players. The only game she ever played is pic related. I need at least a slight theme in a game.

Great if it could be scaled up to play in more than 2 players.

So far I'm thinking of Jamaica but i think it's NEEDS to played by more than just 2 players and Catan which looks neat, easy and still has some strategy involved that can keep me interested.

Any help appreciated guys... Do you play with your elders? Share your experience.
>>
>>49667741
>What are your top 5 (or 3 at least if you're too lazy) essential games, that EVERY gamer should have. One requirement cannot be oop.

Settlers of Catan (the Euro and game everyone has heard of)
Say Anything (the party game)
Battle Line (the quick 2p game)
Pandemic (the coop)
Cat Tower (the child's/dexterity game)

Bonus:
Shakespeare (the worker placement game)
>>
>>49670218

There's Camel Up or Through the Desert. I've had great luck with Indigo with my parents.
>>
>>49670218
I've tried a couple games with my parents, now in their 50s-60s. My suggestions are an easy co-op, such as forbidden island - you can play together, and the lack of competition makes explaining the game easier, or something like Machi Koro - I sold it to my parents as monopoly but simpler and shorter.
>>
>>49670218
I've never had ticket to ride not work

I've not played the 2 player rules, but codenames could also work
>>
>>49669409
>>49669813
I thought I read the prompt wrong at first
>>49670111
For true gamer's games, it's not a matter of "essential or not" because personal taste is the determining factor. I'm beyond gateways and don't feel the need to own any of those (ok, so I own Netrunner core already and would totally own Dominant Species if I thought I could get it played frequently... but that's not realistic)

Another approach is that the only "essentials" a gamer would need is for various kinds of social situations. I often think about whether a game hits a certain mood that my other games don't cover

>>49670164
That's what he's doing. We really don't need any policing of opinions here
>>
>>49668765
pass4since goes in options, not name
>>
anyone played article 27? it seems pretty neat, but I have to wonder if there's room for it and sheriff of nottingham in a collection

also there's a complaint about article 27 that's just a bit too common for my liking. a lot of people dislike how your round objective can very easily directly conflict with your overall game objective
>>
Anyone here play the Dragon Age RPG? I'm thinking about getting it
>>
File: Based.jpg (651KB, 1539x906px) Image search: [Google]
Based.jpg
651KB, 1539x906px
Just got a complete copy of this for 30$ off Craigslist, I am fucking stoked.
>>
File: You.jpg (962KB, 1851x1851px) Image search: [Google]
You.jpg
962KB, 1851x1851px
>>49669813
>>
>>49672518
Yeah, there are a lot of other games that could be considered essential, but those right there, (and maybe Dungeon Petz and Mage Knight) all leave me this warm satisfied feeling when we're done, and a feeling of wanting to play them again soon. Not immediately, but soon, after I've digested my meal.
>>
>>49670828
>>49670939
I'd like to avoid games based on running around a circle mechanics.
I chosed Jamaica exceptionally because it has something in it's theme, and cards that charms me.

>>49672455
>Ticket to ride
Great tip. I disliked it the first time i saw a review of it because, well, putting railroads entire game didn't look exciting for me.
But if I think about it this really might be a type of game she'd enjoy, thanks!

More tips guys?

I really think catan would work for her. I somehow believe that even if you're not exactly know what you're doing you can do well and enjoy "building" your small empires. But I'd love to hear somebody played it with their paps.
>>
>>49668765
ARRAAAAGHHH

WHERE CAN I BUY THIS? LINK PLZ
>>
>>49675183
This was a custom box someone on Reddit made. It's not a real product. Jake from West Hollywood must have gotten bored of masturbating again, this has his smell on it
>>
File: Casual Suggestions.png (3MB, 1878x1672px) Image search: [Google]
Casual Suggestions.png
3MB, 1878x1672px
>>49675079
>might be a type of game she'd enjoy

Pic related... Hope it helps.
>>
>>49675079
Catan is 3 player minimum broseph. Do you think she could handle a simple deckbuilder? Valley of the Kings is pretty great, my mother can play it. She also enjoys Pandemic a lot, always makes the family play it at Christmas.
>>
>>49675517
>This was a custom box someone on Reddit made. It's not a real product.

Which is kind of a shame for gamers since it looks like it has nice production values. On the flip side it's rather cool from a DIY standpoint.
>>
My gay ass friend wants a copy of red dragon inn for us to play.
Which ver should we play?
>>
>>49675079
If you think she'll respond well to "girly" lighter games, Takenoko and Lotus are great options that play relatively well at 2. Splendor or Agricola family edition are two other games that are much less girly and make for wonderful introductions into heavier game mechanics.

Smallworld is a fun as hell game that tricks a lot of players who would never touch a wargame into playing one. Though I recommend getting the app version if your just playing two players, much easier to pick up and play.
>>
>>49670218
Serious suggestion, my mother loves Jaipur. Rules are easy to learn, counting points is fun and tactile, no text to read. Try it out.

If you want mostly the same game but playable with more players (though slightly less accessible), get Archaeology the New Expedition.

If you think she can handle a slightly more complicated and competitive game, try Arboretum.
>>
File: jaipur.jpg (25KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
jaipur.jpg
25KB, 250x250px
>>49668765
>>49676174
>>
>>49675799
I've avoided that game like that plague because the same friends who play it in hotel roomes play basically nothing but Cards Against Humanity and Munchkin, is it in the same category?
>>
>>49677655
It's better than those two games, but not by much.
>>
So i've played 2 solo games of death angel, won the first one, lost the second. both were pretty fun/epic.

i realized that pretty soon the expansions won't be available for a reasonable price so i looked on ffg's site and saw there was one in stock (the tyranid expansion) so i went ahead and bought it. I did realize what it was beforehand and thought it'd be a good purchase generally so it wasn't really an impulse buy. Anyways, I have a couple of questions...

first: are the other expansions gonna be available anytime soon? I think some shops had final orders put in for everything that's goin oop, so i guess my question is if anybody knows the details of this? more specifically, are shops kinda just randomly getting these games? should i even expect somewhere to have em? I just figured it'd be nice to get the marines pack and the mission pack.

second thing is more of just me being curious about the pack i already have (tyranid). I almost feel guilty opening it so it's still in it's plastic n all that. Anybody play with it before? is it worth adding in without the first marines expansion?
>>
>>49677655
>>49677758
So i should tell him to fuck off?
Gotcha.
>>
>>49678471
Tell him what I tell my friend who always wants me to get a game that very specifically he wants: He can get it himself. I'm the man with spending money in our group, just bought Mansions of Madness, both it's expansions, and Baseball Highlights 2045 because I happened to have a lot extra in the spending account after rent and throwing extra in the savings account. My friend wanted me really badly to pick up Seafall but I'm not a fan of heavy euros so I had to tell him to get it himself. He was heartbroken but understanding an eventually ordered it himself. I'll play it with him but I'm not eager to buy the thing honestly.
>>
File: Onitama.png (262KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
Onitama.png
262KB, 600x399px
What's your opinion on this?
>>
>>49679414
Basic strategy game - not unlike 'The Duke'. I haven't played it but there are many who enjoy it for the fact that it doesn't take 10,000 hours to play and still offers some depth. As always - YMMV.
>>
>>49677971
I wouldn't expect to see the expansions available for a reasonable price unless they show up again on fantasy flight's site, so your best bet is to check in with them every so often until february.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUhpNrMRHMI

so I was really hyped for rising 5 because of vincent dutrait's art. the game doesn't seem bad, but I don't know if I'm really interested in it after watching rahdo's video
>>
>>49680944
also jesus christ that extended play video is tough to watch. he's so bad at that puzzle
>>
Thanks for all your input guys, took me a while to check everything.

>>49675665
Are you sure Catan wouldn't work with two? Mechanics don't seem heavy player count dependant.

Valley of kings - too much reading. Anything that involves understanding how given card works at given point of time is a no go sadly.

Pandemic - I will get it for myself one day for sure. But I believe it's too 'mathy'. Rules are pretty straightforward, but amount of moves given player has to check every turn is too complicated.. You know: move here, cure cubes, flight there OR maybe better fly here, cure all cubes etc... All this counting in mind.

>>49676036
Problem with girly games is that I have to play them too. I was thinking about Takenoko for my nieces but then I freaked out they'll want to play it every time they come to visit.

I forgot about Agricola in favor of Caverna which seemed too complicated for old folks. Maybe moving step backwards and taking Agricola would be a way to go, I have to consider that. I'll order Smallworld for family meetings too. Didn't consider it as a nice 2p game thou.

>>49676174
Jaipur looks cool. I didn't like the theme and artwork myself at start, however, my mom might like it. Latter two seem too complex.

With your help my list so far looks as follows:
- Ticket to ride
- Jaipur
- Jamaica
- Agricola
- Catan ? (doesn't work with two?)
>>
>>49681419
No forbidden desert? That's a pretty fun 2 player.

I have Jamaica, it's alright but it works better with more people I think with the conflict mechanic.

Check out tokaido too maybe. It's very light, and though you wouldn't want to play it every day it looks cute.
>>
>>49681419
If you're playing with people who are only familiar with games like Monopoly and Life, then try the new Agricola family edition. Its a nice twist on the rules and easier to sink your teeth in to. It doesn't have the depth or replayability as base Agricola but lets get real, you were never going to play it fifty times anyway.
>>
>game box is way too big for the components
Fuck Machi Koro, Once Upon a Time, and Splendor.
>>
>>49681550
don't forget 7 wonders

big reason I like fantasy flight's silver line series (other than a lot of them being good games) is they're such a nice compact size
>>
>>49681419
Catan doesn't really work with two, since a lot of the game is map position and trade, so a two player game has too much space to build unhindered and trading is limited. Guess you could each use 2 colors and houserule something to improve the trading aspect. There's a 2-player version of the game, but I'm not sure how it is.
>>
>>49680944
>don't read entire post
>click on link anyways
>Rahdo
>nope.png
>>
>>49681455
I dismissed forbidden desert as only to play with kids game, but actually it can fulfill both roles (mom and nieces). Added to the list.
I understand Jamaica should be played with more than two, but I'll get it because I'm pretty sure she will love it. We'll wait for more family to join us thou.

Tokaido looks cool, not "I must to get it now" cool, but I'll keep it in my mind to when my collection starts growing.

>>49681492
Yeh you hit the point with monopoly. I think I'll get family agricola first and then if i like it I'll go for Caverna for more competitive plays with friends.
>>
>>49681419
The differences between Jaipur and Archaeology are essentially
>scoring is fixed with no benefits for selling first or last
>points are printed on the cards instead of using chips
>trading uses the values on the card instead of a straight 1 to 1 trade
>Thief cards let you steal a card from an opponent's hand
>Sandstorms make everyone lose half their hand, rounded down. Discard a Tent to prevent it
>discard Maps to explore Monuments, which do different things depending on which was chosen, but essentially give you more cards
>supports up to 5 players

Maybe consider it if you feel like you've tired of Jaipur and want something similar. Arboretum isn't that complicated, but it does take a game or two before everything clicks together.
>>
what do you think of bootleg PnP board games?
>>
>>49681700
Ok then I'll consider it as more family game from now on.

>>49681839
Well jaipur looked more neat. You know I watched one video and everything was clear. With archeology, on the other hand, after I turned off the video I didn't remember everything. I don't say the game is complicated, just by looking at this two I'd go with Jaipur.
And unfortunately I can't chose and buy every game there is.

Arboretum didn't hit my taste at all, but I appreciate you mentioned it, as I didn't know this game before.
>>
File: 817054010325_2_ (1).jpg (261KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
817054010325_2_ (1).jpg
261KB, 1024x576px
>Playing Pax Baltica
>Fighting on three fronts, it goes well
>Fight off a three-prong assault in Saxony
>Eventually Karl's army goes into exile
>HE COMES BACK IMMEDIATELY
>Prepare for a glorious campaign in Russia
>Hubris makes me push it to the limit
>NO WAY TO RUN
>SURROUNDED
>NO ACTIONS
>The army falls and I lose the game, despite being at maximun replacement points

SAY MY NAME WHEN YOU PRAY
>>
>>49681916
What, are they printed with bootleg ink?
>>
>>49682992
I think he means making your own print and play copies of games where that wasn't the intention. like the anon who posted his friend's pnp puerto rico last thread
>>
File: Mare_Nostrum_Jeu.jpg (80KB, 700x211px) Image search: [Google]
Mare_Nostrum_Jeu.jpg
80KB, 700x211px
what do you guys think of Mare Nostrum?
>>
>>49683145
Ridiculously good.
Closest thing to a criticism I have is the dice driven combat, but even that is WAY more deterministic than most games.
Trade and politics are a legitimate and serious part of the game, conflict is still important and frequent, player agency is strong, and the game isn't even that long.
Very, very good. As elegant as a civ game gets without feeling incomplete.
>>
>>49679414
Every time I played it there's one player holding onto a trump card and the rest of the game is both players moving their pieces back and forth until one gets bored and decided to just let one of his pieces be eaten, which starts a chain.
>>
Codenames seems like a boring party game but then i tried it and I love it and so does everyone I introduce it too. Its the only game my old grandmother understand how to play too. It's ageless, replayable x1000 times over, easy to learn, and has no player limit. I suggest encouraging table talk from the other opposite temas to try and use logic/reasoning to throw off the other team from what words they are trying to guess.
>>
>>49681916

I can't be assed to cut up a deck of 54 cards or worse just to save $20. Anything simple enough to make is cheap enough to buy and anything expensive enough to craft yourself is too difficult to do "properly".

I did pirate Puzzle Strike because Sirlin is a jew but I never want to cut that many cards again.
>>
>>49679414
I have this and have play multiple times with multiple people and if i had one piece of advice to give in playing this game, its to not try to plan too far ahead. Both to avoid ap/have a better time, and to win. From my experience, just thinking one move ahead, and no more, really pays off. At the same time, playing too relaxed can fuck you over. Like one time i was in the lead (captured oponnents pieces while mine were all still in play) and i was putting pressure on they're master and i just wamted the game to end lol i was confident and ended up trapping myself in a move that left me nowhere to run and i lost slmehow.

With that being said, i like the game. Component wise its fantastic and the board is one of those mouse pad things so thats always a plus. Gameplay is self explanatory, if you watch/read a review and as the rules are explained, you think it looks fun, then youll probably like it. I forget how much it goes for but id say 20-25 bucks is appropriate for this game. Hope that helps
>>
>>49681916
I have some contradictory thoughts and opinions on the subject...
I love games.
I hate DLC.
Designers, artists, creators, makers, distributors and sellers have a right to make a living off them
Corporate greed is a cancer that should be painfully excised.
Kickstarter exclusives, promos and all that "VIP only" fuckery is in a grey area for me. I hate that they're allowed to exclude people by deliberately making content unavailable.
I'd like to be able to play/own games or expansions that I have no legit means of obtaining without going bankrupt.
I'd like to be able to play/own games that are super rare or no longer in production.
Sometimes, I'd like to try a game before I commit to buying it.
I support people's creativity, making additional content for a game they like. This includes reskinning.
PnP is a legit means to get a game that didn't get published -for whatever reason- into people's hands.
PnP is also a legit marketing tool that relays production onto the consumer. Game designers should be able to profit from that.
I don't want to see board gaming take the path vidya has taken after its boom.
I was a poorfag for a long, long time. I sympathize with people trying to get into the hobby. People are not inherently evil assholes deliberately trying to damage the families involved in the gaming industries.
Fuck the corporations who care about nothing but revenue and market percentage.
I myself entered the hobby pirating Carcassonne, Coup and a few others. I've given the industry a few thousand dollars since.
I had more fun making the game pieces than playing the games.

tl/dr:I'm torn on the issue
>>
>>49683212
ok some of my friends keep telling stories of how they got mad at eachother during a game of mare nostrum. sadly i m never around enought to play with them.
i want to buy it but they all have it already.
how is the expansion "atlas"?
>>
>>49683848
Critical if you want/need to play with 6 or with 2, nice but unnecessary otherwise.
>>
Gemblo for the casual, Love Letter for the filler, One Night Ultimate Werewolf for parties, 404: Law Not Found for people wanting a long(ish) "thinky" game, Tales of The Arabian Nights for a long(ish) "experience" game.
>>49670218
My parents, bless them, can't deal with games that require much strategy, so Gemblo is pretty much their limit
>>49674351
Niiiiiiiiiiice!
>>49675799
>>49677655
>>49677758
>>49678471
Base version should be good. It's not a bad game, and can be a fun way to spend 30-45 minutes. However, >>49678495 has the right idea if you're not keen.
>>
>>49681916
I'd only do it if it's something that's unfeasible for me to get (isn't available in any local retailers, either due to being kickstarted or they have a small publisher/self-published) or if it's easy enough to do (card games >20 pages of cards maybe, or something like Skull). Got my EFTAIOS that way, though I'd love to buy a proper version of it.

>>49683831
Interestingly, there's an increase in free PnP stuff from developers lately, especially the kickstarter ones. At the very least it means those publishers are open to letting people play before backing, which is definitely less shady than most.
>>
>>49684004
PnP stands for Pen and paper? or is it another acronyme for something else?
>>
>>49684054
print and play
>>
>>49684070
ok thanks figured out the print but was too dumb to figure out play...
>>
>>49681916
I feel like Tabletop Sim shoulda replaced this. Like if you cannot afford the board game, then pick up a legally questionable Tabletop Sim mod. Other than local play, which I would be embarrassed to say "I printed out a new boardgame, lets play it!" to my friends, it just benefits boardgaming while still being a cheap alternative.
>>
>>49683311
My only problem with codenames is that if you're the codemaster and your team takes FOREVER to choose, you're stuck just sort of sitting there for ages and ages unable to even really banter.
>>
Played a 5p game of scythe as my first game last night. People didn't show till late so we didn't get to finish, but I had a lot of fun. However, the downtime was a bit much for the rounds where I would like... gain power and pass. At the same time, with fewer players there's a good chance we'll just sort of do our own thing all game, at which point I feel like there are several euros I would rather play.

I'm going to probably get a full 3-player game in on Sunday, and I'll be able to see how well it works at lower player counts.
>>
>>49681916
It might be okay for, say, playing Ticket To Ride on a map of The Isle of Sodor, but otherwise I'm not that convinced.
>>
>>49683110
I know, I was just making fun of the question.

Anon #1. I bootlegged a game woohoo!
Anon #2. You will burn in lakes of fire!!!!!
<insert 'impotent net-rage.jpg' here>

Does it really matter?
>>
>>49684161
Most people get into board gaming to get away from their computers and directly interact with their friends though. Tabletop Simulator has its niche, but I can see why physical piracy would be a preferred option.
>>
>>49684455
so discussion doesn't matter??i thought its the main goal of threads and online forums.
>>
>>49684516
"Piracy" is such an ugly term...
Let's call it "unlicensed promotional duplication" instead
>>
>>49667741
The NYT had a Letter of Complaint about Cards Against Humanity. It's hilarious.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/07/magazine/letter-of-complaint-cards-against-humanity.html

>Individual taste becomes awful in groups, and nothing demonstrates this phenomenon better than Cards Against Humanity

> Like America’s most successful brands, Cards Against Humanity positions itself against the masses, when in fact it is mass taste distilled.

>The whole architecture of the game is designed to provide the thrill of transgression with none of the responsibility — to let players feel horrible, if you will, without feeling bad.

Seriously. The game took cards that were deemed transphobic or sexist. No balls.
>>
>>49679414
Duke is more random but also has more interesting board states.
>>
>>49684646
There's a difference between signal and noise. Simply put - not all ideas or topics are of equal merit. The original poster is asking an ethics question, and unless they're doing a survey for an ethics class, basing one's ethics on popular opinion is more than a little suspect.

TL:DR - 'Ethics don't change based / because of popular opinion.'
>>
>>49684902
NYT is shit
CAH is shit
Not even going to click that link.
>>
>>49686133
Except they do change. Ethics and morality are both societal and individual costructs.
>>
My essential games would be:

>Cosmic Encounter (every gamer SHOULD have this, even though not every gamer does yet -- it's a fantastically fun hour of space chaos)
>Lords of Waterdeep (one of the best intros to Euros in general and worker placement in particular)
>Eldritch Horror (as big thematic clusterfucks go, EH is smoother to learn than AH, despite also being more brutally difficult across most scenarios)
>Forbidden Desert (though Pandemic is often held up as a premier co-op experience and Island is often promoted as babby's first Pandemic, Desert feels more dynamic and interesting, with a stronger focus on exploration over simply putting out fires long enough to win)
>One Night Ultimate Werewolf (fucking awesome in every way)
>>
minimum effort bump
>>
>>49668404

It's not strictly accurate. The Core Set contains no white Runner identities, and in that sense contains no (purely) white PLAYABLE characters (since Corp identities are entire Corporations rather than specific people), but plenty of Core Set cards depict (unnamed) white characters, and there have been quite a few white Runners and other white characters since the Core Set's release.

Even in the Core Set, Noise is probably half-white, and I wouldn't be surprised if Kate and Gabriel are too. It's one of those futures where humanity is slowly homogenizing.
>>
Does anyone have an opinion on which version of Smallworld is best/which expansions to get?
>>
>>49689146
You can't be 'half-white.' That's not how our culture regards them.
>>
anybody play valley of the kings?
I'm thinking about getting it but not sure which one is the best (there are 3 if i'm not mistaken).
>>
>>49689261
It's generally regarded that underground is the best set.
>>
>>49690889
Great to hear. Any of the expansions worthwhile? I can get them for cheap.
>>
>>49689283
Next you'll tell us that two Wongs don't make a White either...
>>
>>49691189
Not in my opinion. They're small gimmicky additions that don't add anything to the formula and potentially mess with the balance.

>>49689093
Why would does big thematic clusterfuck belong on a "essentials" list at all? Get a thematic game that has good gameplay.

Secret Hitler has perfected the social deduction game ruleset.
>>
Is there anywhere to find critiques of games? Not reviews, but critical examinations of games that have been played several times, that goes into detail about the systems, what they are trying to do, how they interact with each other, and generally what does and doesn't work? Ideally they would talk high-level strategy as well, but I could totally understand if whoever did the critique wasn't necessarily good at the game.

All The Games You Like Are Bad sort of does this, but it's with new games that he hasn't played to death, and also he only has like six videos so far.
>>
>>49691540

Because I love big thematic clusterfucks and Android is too niche.
>>
>>49690798
I've got all 3 but haven't had a chance to play the 3rd one yet. What do you want to know?
>>
>>49690798

If you care about BGG's opinion at all, they rank th original game at 7.2, Afterlife at 7.6, and Last Rites at fucking 8.1.

That said, there aren't any reviews that do direct comparisons, so it's hard to tell how much of that is just Cult of the New warping everything. That's a common problem on BGG.
>>
>>49691828
just curious what your thoughts are on em.
from the looks of it, all 3 are the same game with just different cards... is that more or less true?

also, is it recommended? do you like the first or second one better? why?

>>49691883
yeah i mean i checked bgg but decided to not let that really mean anything to me haha i mean for one, last rites is the newest and has teh least amount of votes while teh first has the most amount of votes... so seems really unreliable to go by that.

I checked out zee's videos on em and pretty much all i got from em was that all 3 are teh same game just with different cards. so not much help there either

overall the game looks fun but i dont think i'll end up gettin it. i just really want a deckbuilder other than dominion and was super down for thunderstone advance but we all know the story on that... so yeah i'll probably just wait for the 3rd edition to go up on kickstarter hopefully sometime this month
>>
>>49691622
bgg forums, though not for all games and plenty of it is shit.

>>49692006
>KS for a third addition
Fucking why. I get that KS generates hype, but its not meant to be a preorder platform and games gets bloated with promo crap when its treated like one.
>>
>>49692006
I like them enough that I'd say they are probably my favorite deckbuilder. The rules are simple and elegant, it feels like you can never accomplish everything you want to in a good way, like there are too many good options and not enough time/moves, and the game plays very quickly once everyone has seen the cards once or twice. Plus it's cheap, so I'd recommend giving it a shot.

The 1st and 2nd share the same starting decks and basic rules, but all the cards are different. The 1st is a lot more antagonistic than the 2nd, with more directly hurtful cards to aim at opponents. The 2nd has more intricate combinations of cards and better cascading effects.

The 3rd is, apparently, different again with completely new starting deck and totally different cards. I've heard someone recommend it as the best of the 3, but as I haven't played it yet I can't venture an opinion as to whether this is true or not.
>>
>>49689283
>You can't be 'half-white.' That's not how our culture regards them.
Who do you mean "them."
Also, their society rather obviously isn't our society.
>>
>>49692655
/pol/ plz go
>>
>>49692697
I'm farther left than right, I just think that racial implications in speculative fiction are usually a result for too active a reading of light entertainment.
>>
File: pic142753_md.jpg (96KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
pic142753_md.jpg
96KB, 500x375px
>>49667741
Top 5 -

1. Twilight Imperium
2. Warrior Knights (OOP but still available. Expansion is hard to come by)
3. Dominion (or other Deckbuilder. I like Arctic Scavengers)
4. Ticket to Ride (for the normies)
5. Cosmic Encounter
>>
>>49692136
Hmm ok... well the point is that i think thunderstone looks awesome and im not willing to pay 100+ bucks so naturally im just waiting for the third edition... whether its kickstarted or not im trying to get on it asap.

Im kinda confused as to what your post means? Explain please

>>49692387
Duly noted, appreciate the feedback. Sounds like any of them are a safe bet and that it doesnt really matter which one i start with. Probably gonna try the first one and see if i like it enough to get another which would probably be the third.
>>
>>49692006
What's the problem with Thunderstone Advance?

I have Tower of Ruin. I like it. I also have Dragonspire and another first edition expansion and they work well with TSA:ToR.
>>
>>49667741

Top 5 Essentials, no order:

-Love Letter - great for newbies (easy to teach, few cards + limited actions in a turn means not intimidating), has enough deduction in it to be interesting to veterans.
-Fury of Dracula 3rd (Essential as hidden movement games go, because it has enough catch-up mechanics for the hunters to make things fair with a good Dracula, unlike say Letters From Whitechapel, which will end very quickly or make everyone else feel like an idiot)
-Agricola (Good worker placement, again easy for newbies to get into, good amount of variability with improvements and occupations).
-Twilight Struggle (Just a really great two-player game).
-Diplomacy (Sometimes you just need to get rid of everyone in your life)
>>
>>49693286
problem is it's oop as fuck
>>
>>49694949
And supposedly getting a reprint in the not to distant future according to the grape-vine.
>>
>>49695047
It'll happen when AEG has nothing more to slap Love Letter onto.
>>
File: 1403733284642.gif (998KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1403733284642.gif
998KB, 500x281px
>Moved into place with 2 roommates
>1 is an old friend who I've always played games with
>The other is someone who always wants in on what we're doing
>Friend hosts a magic draft, he joins in
>He gets mad after the first loss and walks away in an awkward fit of anger
>He proceeds to do this for any competitive game we bring to the table, even something as simple as Seasons or Cosmic
>Think maybe coop games would work
>Know not to play the alpha gamer and avoid telling him what to do
>He ends up doing basically nothing and just asking us to play his piece for him
>He comes up to me one day
>"Hey, have you heard of Munchkin or Cards Against Humanity? You should get those for game nights."

It's a double wammy. I could take mention of one or the other, but both in the same sentence. I don't even know how to reply, and this guy throws a fit if we don't include him if we could have included him. I have to fill up my boardgame nights with anyone on my contact list so I can conveniently exclude him with the "we're full" excuse.
>>
>>49695694
Have you tried talking to him like an adult and telling him the issue?
>>
>>49695694
Or bring something so convoluted and complicated, that he'll pass on joining.

Also when someone says "you should get these" I almost always go "NO U!"
If a game has piqued someone's interest enough to bring it up in conversation, they can just buy the damn thing if they want it so damn much.
>"But look, it's SO COOL!"
Fuck you, you just want me to buy it for you. I already spend too much on games I want.
>>
>>49695694
I think you should just get on and dissolve his body down the toilet. You know it would ultimately be the quickest, hassle-free option.
>>
>>49695694
>deliberately try not to alpha game
>people ask you what to do every single turn anyways

This is exactly why I hate co-ops.
>>
>>49693286
In all honesty i just cant be bothered to pay the oop price. I didnt know it was getting a reprint, everytime i mention tsa people always say just wait theres the 3rd edition coming soon. So this is news to me and i really wiuld like to just get my hands on whichever is available first hahaha

>>49695694
This is one of those things thats so bad, it sounds fake lol
>>
File: Flarechild.png (2MB, 800x741px) Image search: [Google]
Flarechild.png
2MB, 800x741px
Anyone ever play BattleCON? Is it worth sticking around for?
>>
>>49696033
I haven't flat out rejected him and that might be my downfall. I always try to tell him "You probably won't like this game" or "You can't get so mad this time", but admittedly I am a bit of a dick trying to start the game quickly so he doesn't get the chance to invite himself over rather than having to tell him no.
>>49696584
My main group actually has a really good dynamic with coops, but that's probably just dumb luck. I'm the dumbest of our whole crew but even I contribute by coming up with alternate plans whenever the alphas get tunnel vision.
>>
>>49695694
I played cah once before my brothers wedding. It was fun but I can't see myself ever choosing to play it again.
>>
>>49698362

CaH works if you are constantly changing groups or adding new members in and out.

It becomes very stagnated extremely quickly with the same set of guys. Hell, most party games follow this route, at least for me they do.
>>
File: IMG_5060.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5060.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Where my alt-strat brothers at?

Getting in on that Twixt, Kensington, or Terrace?
>>
>>49683388
I pirated Puzzle Strike some years back. Instead of cards, instead he has literally every chip image on his site, so I downloaded them all, arranged them on a label template and printed off button labels, bought my own chips and made it proper.

I bought a legit set though. His games have gotten way better, regardless about how you feel about him. Codex is really good.
>>
>>49696619
Nobody who has played it dislikes BattleCON. It's really well designed.

>sticking around for
??
>>
>>49695694
>"YOU should get those"
Dropped. I will say that Magic, Seasons, and CE are all common butthurt-generators
>>49696619
Yes, it's great
>>49701004
My friend doesn't like it because he doesn't like getting stunned. He's a bitch about lots of stuff though
>>
>>49692932

I have a copy of Warrior Knights I've been meaning to play, but no expansion. Is the expansion necessary? Are there any improvements from the expansion that can be house ruled in?
>>
>>49701429
I'm playing it today (can't find expansion to buy anywhere for less than $150NZD).

The main critique is that movement is too slow, so I'm going to try a variant where if you move 1/3 (1 off road or 3 along roads), you can still attack, but you can choose to move 2/5 and not attack. Both movement options will exhaust your Noble.

I am getting a hold of a loan copy of the expansion, so I plan to scan it and make my own copy (it's just cards). If I sleeve it, it shouldn't feel any different.
>>
Went to a meetup that I've only been to once before, but I'm glad I went.

GAMES I PLAYED WITH CHILDREN WHOSE PARENTS WERE ALSO AT THE MEETUP
>Karuba
I had fun, and there's more depth than you'd think (4 year old quit early on, because she's 4 and she was tired)
>off-brand Guess Who
4 year old insisted, and I figured I might as well indulge her. Not the worst gaming experience I've had at one of these things.
>Sleeping Queens
Played with 4 year old, a 6(?) year old who showed halfway through and the mother of the older girl, who won every single game somehow. Still fun, though
>Animal Upon Animal
WHY IS THIS SO FUN

GAMES I PLAYED WITH GROWN UPS
>Zombicide: Black Plague
Played regular Zombicide before, but this had enough new wrinkles to be interesting. The plastic placeholder things are a nice touch.
>Dead of Winter
>tfw you're the traitor with the "5 dead survivors" win condition, and only 4 die before morale hits zero...
>... and 3 of them were your guys
>>
File: IMG_6424.jpg (845KB, 2074x1383px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6424.jpg
845KB, 2074x1383px
What are good storage solutions? Also r8?
>>
>>49702205
Too much co-op, but not bad.
Ikea Kallax shelves are the generally accepted gold standard for home storage.
>>
File: images[1].jpg (10KB, 209x241px) Image search: [Google]
images[1].jpg
10KB, 209x241px
>>49702161
>>
File: avp.jpg (376KB, 1156x803px) Image search: [Google]
avp.jpg
376KB, 1156x803px
Anybody here played this? Love the setting and would like to hear some thoughts on the game.
>>
File: mblades.jpg (607KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
mblades.jpg
607KB, 1536x864px
Just got this in the mail today. What am I in for?
>>
File: IMG_20161008_183925.jpg (1MB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161008_183925.jpg
1MB, 2016x1512px
Just finished July, making for a 7 game winning streak! Only lost our very first game.

That being said, the cost was rather high. We managed to contain the zombies pretty well before but the search for the lost researcher ended up distracting us so hard that now it spread to every color. We started with only one red city infected. Reached a point where we had to pull out the soldier named doomguy and upgrade him to go on zombie control from now on. The game is fun.
>>
>>49703450
that game is meta as fuck
>>
Can we take a moment to appreciate the perfectness of Jaipur?
>>
>>49702161
>Karuba
Loads of fun, and it's not even the best of the "family games" Haba released last year; makes me hopeful they're going to replace DoW for lighter games in my collection eventually.

>>49702301
>gold standard
>Ikea
It's the solution most used, and fits boxes quite well, but particle board isn't the gold standard of anything. I wish I could recommend something better every time I see them recommended but "go find yourself some local amish/woodworkers" doesn't work for a lot of anons.

>>49704075
We could but we should start with your misspelling, it's Splendor.
>>
>>49704239
Technically, anybody could get themselves a hacksaw and some wood boards from a local hardware/hobby store and make cube shelves just fine.

Honestly though, particle board shelves really are just fine and much easier to handle/install.

sometimes gold standard takes into count the ease of acquisition and setup more then the quality of the product.
>>
>>49703450
A board game about collectible card games and the gamers who play them.
>>
File: IMG_0327.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0327.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>49667741
>>
File: IMG_0329.jpg (766KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0329.jpg
766KB, 3264x2448px
>>49704950
>>
File: IMG_0331.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0331.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>49704954
>>
>>49704960
I fucking love rondels.
Didn't even watch the full rules video for Glass Road.
>see, each player has two rondels that...
>add to cart
>>
>>49703450
I finally played it again with my friends today.
Noone had a good time for the learning game two weeks ago. Everyone had a blast today
>>
>>49695694
Explain to him in a calm manner of how much a killjoy hes being.
Make him aware how hes being a dick by doing all that.
Sure itll make it akward for you guys but your bro roomie should have your back.
Also tell him to fuck off and buy those games himself, yours not his personal board game vendor.
>>
>>49704960
>Give box to cat
>Document and post results
>???
>Profit!
>>
File: Collection.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Collection.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Rate collection?
>>
>>49705295
He wasn't interested after I tossed the peanuts.
>>
>>49705339
Looks a lot like my own collection + wishlist.
>>
>>49705339
Pretty good. Too many Euros, not enough Ameritrash. But still pretty good. I actually really like Nations. I don't own it but a friend does. I prefer it to through the ages (mainly for playtime and it's a bit less Euro).
>>
>>49705389
Which ones are on your wishlist? I could recommend you which one to pick next.

>>49705419
Meh, I prefer eurotrash. A lot of the recent ameritrash (Imperial Assault, Mansions of Madness 2ed, Eldritch Horror, Mice and Mystics) left me very unimpressed.
>>
>>49705448
I haven't played much recent stuff. I like Mice and Mystics. But Twilight Imperium is King. And then Warrior Knights (they share a lot. WK is much shorter though). I think I just like Dudes on a Map type games, but with more depth than Risk.
>>
>>49705448
>. A lot of the recent ameritrash (Imperial Assault, Mansions of Madness 2ed, Eldritch Horror, Mice and Mystics) left me very unimpressed.
Cry Havoc impressed me.
>>
>>49705479
I've not played it yet, I'll wait for the hype to die out and then I'll give it a shot.

>>49705470
Chaos in the Old World is the best dudes on the map game that exists if you can get 4 players. Kemet is the one that scales the best to different numbers of players. I also fell in love with how simple and deep 8 minute empire: legends is. It's a perfect introduction to area control games and feels like a proper game of the sort (Tiny Epic Kingdoms was very disappointing in that same context).
>>
>>49705505
>Chaos in the Old World is the best dudes on the map game that exists if you can get 4 players.
Cry Havok is basically CitOW (kinda) that's good at 3 due to one of the factions becoming automated at that point. Kinda reminds me of Starcraft, if the Zergs, Protoss, and humans were fighting on a planet of troll things that hate them.
>>
>>49705553
I know, I looked it up. Vasel seems to be raving about it as well. I might give it a shot some day.
>>
File: block incline diagram.png (940KB, 1522x519px) Image search: [Google]
block incline diagram.png
940KB, 1522x519px
>>49705339
Now do mine.
>>
>>49705505
Now if they only reprint citow and expansion before everything gets fucked
>>
>>49705620
>Only 1 Feld
>Only 1 Rosenberg
>English version of Castles of Mad King Ludwig
8/10 overall. Cuba Libre is definitely the highlight but you need to work on your euro.
>>
>>49705645
Everything is fucked already. Seeing online prices, I doubt there are easy copies to grab. It shouldn't be too difficult to get a copy in mathtrade, though.
>>
>>49705675
>>Only 1 Rosenberg
Glass Road and Le Havre are the only Rosenburgs I like, and a friend already has La Havre.
>>
>>49705448
Got: 7 Wonders, Agricola, A:NR, CoB, CitOW, Dominion, Dungeo Petz, Forbidden Island, Friday, Hanabi, Hive, LoW, Mage Knight, Neuroshima, Alhambra, Jaipur, Pandemic, Power Grid, Puerto Rico, Resistance, Saboteur, San Juan, Splendor, Spyfall, Death Angel, Star Realms, Sushi Go, TTR EU, TI3, TS

On wishlist: Brass, Mad King, Dungeon Lords, Eclipse, Fields of Arle, Innovation, Kemet, Robinson Crusoe, Troyes, Race for the Galaxy, Diskwars

Not on wishlist, but interested: Snowdonia, Oregon, Nations, Earth Reborn
>>
>>49705716
I'd say of all the games you mentioned, Troyes or Robinson Crusoe are the two you'd like the most. Both have reprints coming out soon so they should be cheap and they both improve on the games you already like. Diskwars is fun but pretty much dead and Brass requires a very specific type of players, most will find the game too dry.

If you don't want to spend too much, Innovation is a good buy but make sure you get the Iello edition, not the original Asmadi one.

For Race of the Galaxy, try downloading Keldon AI and see how you like it. You can download the rules online and see if you enjoy the game. I personally love it but it's difficult to teach new players.
>>
>>49705505
>I also fell in love with how simple and deep 8 minute empire: legends is
What's the overall difference between legends and the "regular" version?
>>
>>49705761
+1 internet for you, anon. I'll go for Crusoe, a friend is selling me his copy for $30, he only played it twice.
>>
>>49705790
I honestly don't remember, I played the regular 2 or 3 years ago and remember not liking it much. Legends, on the other hand, worked amazingly.

>>49705793
Print this out and attach it to your bedpost:
Get the Hatchet ASAP
>>
>>49704971
But the player boards for Glass Road aren't rondels. Whoever described them as such hasn't got a clue what they're talking about.
>>
>>49705949
On that subject, where the hell is the reprint of Imperial and Imperial 2030? Are we expecting another July this year?
>>
>>49705969
>Imperial

Meh, just a souped version of Risk. Better not delay Steam Ship Company any further to waste time on that junk.
>>
>>49706000
I'll fucking stab ya, mate. Does Risk let you play as Swiss jews that let Russkies conquer the world just to buy them out?

Didn't think so.
>>
>>49705949
I like spinny resource tracks like Ora Labora and that's what Glass Road has
>>
>>49705969
>Are we expecting another July this year?
No mate there's only one July each year
>>
>>49704239
The 4 year old had her own house rules, where she could put the tiles at any orientation. And yeah, it was really good, even if we got screwed ovver with inconvenient tiles early on.
>>
Looking for a game that plays well for two AND is quick.
I don't mean shallow, but something I can squeeze in a few plays per evening.
We don't have many opportunities to sit down for a two hour game often.
>>
>>49708170
The Duke / The Jarl
Onitama
Star Realms
Epic
BattleCON
>>
>>49708343
I'll look these up, thanks
>>
>>49708170
There's also:

Blokus
Carcassonne
7 Wonders Duel
>>
>>49708598
>Carcassonne
I wanted to get that finally, but there's so many expansions that I just gave up.
I wouldn't even know where to start
>>
>>49705479
Probably because its a Eurogamer pretending to be ameritrash.
>>
Terra Mystica good enough with two?
>>
I'm trying to make a game.

How do I make it not play like Eldritch Horror fucked Dead of Winter?

As an aside, how's the dice mechanic of rolling under a trait on a d6, with bonuses giving more dice instead of raising the target number? Default starts at 2d6.
>>
>>49708170
Seconding Duke
The hype has died out a bit, but Santorini is really good. You don't even need to wait for the pretty version to hit the store.
GIPF project, Agricola (the 2P game), Ingenious, Kosmos 2Ps (Lost Cities, Kahuna, etc...)
Also, Jaipur
>>
>>49708867
We tried a lot of it with my friend, it's ok-ish I suppose, but it's certainly "worse" than with even 3 (can't just say if 3 is better than 4 or the other way around, while 5 would be too much maybe?).
Placement is just as critical as in base game, but there will be much less ways to save a poor placement because less players means less ways to leech, buildings costs way more, etc.

Also, some factions are much much stronger in 2p games (Swarmlings for an obvious start) while others are way worse (Cultists, shapeshifters). Some factions can be pretty atrocious to fight (volcano people, ice people, giants and nomads mostly) as they can "easily" block you and concentrate their efforts on you. We don't really play agressively when only 2p, since it's kinda pointless, but there's definitely something to say about it.

Overall it's certainly ok, some mechanics are a bit broken with only two players (points in endgame, bonus tiles can be monopolized easier, favour tiles and town tiles are not a problem). but it's still solid, if you like the game already, I know we certainly do anyway... Just like with a lot of other games, it can be hard when you're used to play 2p to get back at 3p or 4p because the strategies and dynamics are a bit different.
>>
>>49708619
Start with base, no expansions.
After you get some mileage out of it, must haves are Traders & Builders, Inns and Cathedrals and River. I like King & Robber and Ferries.
Tower, Catapult, Cults and Flyer are pretty shitty.
Everything else is optional/situational.
>>
File: I never asked for this.gif (211KB, 540x336px) Image search: [Google]
I never asked for this.gif
211KB, 540x336px
>>49708954
To elaborate here:

The game is meant to be a collaborative players-versus-situation game inspired by Metal Gear Solid's base building aspects. I'm still working out how to handle growing the base and gaining new features to it as the game progresses in a way that's more interesting than being able to choose what you make from the start (maybe randomized tiles?) but challenges and exploration are done like a mixture of Eldritch Horror and Dead of Winter:

There are six location boards that represent different wartorn locations in need of a PMC aide, more like Dead of Winter than EH. At the locations, you draw encounter cards that are similar to the ones in Eldritch Horror: Some flavourtext and a simple die roll, possibly with a follow up. I'm even thinking of something similar to the Clue tokens, and how they give you an alternative to which deck you can draw from and let you gather a specific resource (Probably not Otherworld Encounters. Hurr, Crystal Head Zombies). I also feel like using the same two-health system of Eldritch Horror, as Stamina and Psyche. Mostly to help differentiate the fact that there will be supernaturalish elements like Psycho Mantis and also to just add a little more variety.

There would be different game types that change up the rules, sort of like the Scenario in DoW, or the Horror in EH, as well as things like the Horror and Crisis decks, to shake things up on a turn by turn basis and throw wrenches into any plans.

I really need to look into more games like this, to figure out what to do differently. Does anyone have any suggestions? I think I should look more into how Pathfinder Adventure Card Game handles scenarios.

I'm also unsure of how to handle "recruiting". I much prefer having one continuous character throughout the entire game, barring character death, but I have to admit that Dead of Winter's random almost disposable character system is much more fitting for the whole "kidnap soldiers" thing.
>>
File: pic2479679[1].jpg (233KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic2479679[1].jpg
233KB, 500x500px
There's never any discussion of this and certainly it does not merit its own general, but let's talk about Ashes!

To get this started: who here has any tournaments under their belt? I went to a 7-person tournament, placed 4th only because I lost time in a match by bullshitting with a friend and we went to a time-limit draw even if I would have won the next round... Also forgot to include Redirect, which lost me the last game... Pretty embarassing to be honest
>>
>>49675659
>Casual
Puzzle Strike is definitely not for casuals. The arrow mechanic is kinda complicated for a newbie and it's very very easy to buy too many terminals and dump your deck into uselessness by cycle 3. You also have to accept the fact that no matter how good a bank chip might look, it just might not work with the rest of the bank and/or your character base chips.
>>
File: Carcassonne BB5.jpg (205KB, 745x600px) Image search: [Google]
Carcassonne BB5.jpg
205KB, 745x600px
>>49708619
>>Carcassonne
>I wanted to get that finally, but there's so many expansions that I just gave up.

It's easier than you think. Pic related. The base game is recommended - then you can consider Inns & Cathedrals + Traders & Builders. Hills & Sheep is optional, and you can easily skill 'Wheel of Fortune' as it doesn't add anything you can't live without. Pic related is 'Big Box 5' IIRC and should have all you need to get a good experience without buying a butt-load of expansions that don't do a lot for the game.
>>
>>49709566
>and you can easily skill 'Wheel of Fortune' as it doesn't add anything you can't live without.

*easily skip* Wheel of Fortune.
>>
>>49709566
>>49709578
Here's my 2 cents that nobody asked for:
Carcassonne plays well enough and has enough longevity with just the base game. Expansions only add game length and complications. You could easily skip them all and have the same fun and more money for other games.
>>
>>49709621
I wouldn't disagree with the base game being good by itself. I'd only add that having a few more tiles is nice when playing with more players and Inns doesn't add a lot of needless complexity. (Wheel of fortune on the other hand..)
>>
File: collection 04.jpg (2MB, 2208x2497px) Image search: [Google]
collection 04.jpg
2MB, 2208x2497px
>>49683145
>>49683212
Damnit! Both of you should know better than to wave the kind of 'gaming goodness' bait under my nose.

<Grumble Grumble - adds another game to the wish list... /Damn kids!>

>>49705339
>>49705620
>Rate collection?

They seem kind of... small. I mean if you played a different game every week, you could only go for 1 year or so before having to repeat a game. Really, who does that? ;)

<Waits for the Anon with the 700 - 800+ game collection to post his pics and put my collection to shame.>

Honestly they both seem like good collections - there are a lot of games I own, or would gladly play. My pic is a little out of date - I'm up to about 135 games (not counting expansions, etc). But I'm a collector as well as a gamer. I'd game a lot more if my / my friend's schedules permitted. But such is life.
>>
>>49709194
Try looking at mechanics that you personally like. Not just globe trotters like Eldritch Horror or location exploration and resource gathering like DoW, but any game you've ever played and liked. Maybe you'll find inspiration from them. As an example, I'd do a deck building mechanic for handling the organization side of things. Maybe lift something from Twilight Struggle's method of spreading influence.

>>49709288
I wish I got to play this before an acquaintance of mine sold it off. Unless he still has it... No expansions for this yet right?
>>
File: brennen[1].jpg (61KB, 332x452px) Image search: [Google]
brennen[1].jpg
61KB, 332x452px
>>49710026
Two expansion decks, The Children of Blackcloud and The Giants of Frostdale, already out since months. Both of them the size of a base set precon deck (which varies because conjurations)

Two upcoming decks too, The Roaring Rose and The Duchess of Deception, which are being held up because of infinite difficulties with distribution due to PHG being bought by FFZ being bought by Asmodee.

Next expansion will be a 4-deck boxed set with two new dice types, sympathy and divine. No ETA for that, could be Febryary 2017.
>>
>>49709566
That thing right there is one of the worst spacewasting offenders. It's a BIG fucking box. I tossed it and keep my MegaCarc neatly organized in a box about a third its size.
>>
Someone sell me on Mage Knight. I keep seeing it mentioned alongside other games I like, but I know nothing about it.
>>
>>49709288
Well, back when it was coming out, I was shilling it weekly, haha. Sadly, where I am appears to have nobody organizing tournaments, so except for when certain friends are over or in town, it doesn't come out too often.

Which is a shame, as I have two core sets, two copies of each first wave expansion, and one copy each of the latest wave (distribution problems? my local game store has a large amount of all 4 expansions in stock, and we aren't even U.S.)

I wish I had more people around, I play friends on TSS, but I'm not too comfy playing it with random anons. My best mate and I tend to be loose and fast with resolutions and effects, so I don't feel like coming off as an idiot in online games.

As for the redirect: you had three charm dice as well, right? I think I know who you are from the fb group...

>>49710084
I was so hopeful they would get their act together and have the bi box set for the holidays. Instead, we get explanations from Colby on how nothing is going right, please be patient. Fuck, if only I had saved money for the last wave of summoner wars expansions instead. Stupid loonie being so weak...
>>
File: gorillion-dollars.jpg (99KB, 500x502px) Image search: [Google]
gorillion-dollars.jpg
99KB, 500x502px
>mfw playing Stockpile last night for the first time

A lot of fun an surprisingly deep for a game with such straightforward base rules
>>
File: tsv1-1p3-650x965.jpg (261KB, 650x965px) Image search: [Google]
tsv1-1p3-650x965.jpg
261KB, 650x965px
What is the point of these modern board games?

They just seem like physical versions of computer games.
>>
>>49711063
>What is the point of these modern board games?

*WHICH* modern board games are you speaking of? It's not like every single board game out there falls into a single category or genre. It's sort of like claiming that every PC game is just "Minesweeper or some variation of it."
>>
>>49711168
Pretty much all of them.

They have too many fiddly bits and could easily be handled by a computer instead.
>>
>>49711063
You can play them with friends and you don't outlets, 4 laptops, or a game console with a TV and 4 controllers, etc. You just grab a box off the shelf and start playing.
>>
>>49711202
just play Xcom and mansion of madness then
>>
>>49711202
>They have too many fiddly bits and could easily be handled by a computer instead.

Apparently they have to many fiddly bits for *you*. Many of us aren't put off by the thought of having to do some mental exercise. There are lots of ways to get to the top of a mountain. Some of them far less challenging than others. Does that mean mountain climbers are inferior because they didn't simply take the easiest route to arrive at the top?
>>
>>49711063
>>49711202
being in the same room surrounding the same table is a lot better than being in different houses and just playing a game online
the physical aspect of moving bits around is fun
also I'd say a good chunk of modern games aren't too fiddly or anything like that, but I tend to avoid super complex games

I'd play space hulk death angel 100 times out of 100 over space hulk ascension.

could you list some games that are basically physical versions of video games though? honestly having a tough time coming up with too many.
>>
>>49710825
I'm learning to play it... still.
It's got just a handful of mechanics around which the whole game is based (movement/exploration, generating/storing/using mana, drawing/building action deck, spells, combat, night/day phases)...
...and then there's a metric fuckton of interactions, rules exceptions, conditionals and options between spells, board, phases, monsters and followers.
Combat is both simple in design but kinda confusing in execution.

It's so complex and nuanced it has not one, but two 20 page rulebooks and induces some of the worst cases of AP I've witnessed.
It's longer than most games have a right to be which makes it almost unplayable with 3+ players.

But goddamn, is it amazing. No other game I've played gives you this type of experience. You move around the countryside and discover new areas, explore ruins, mine for mana crystals, battle wandering monsters, visit villages, build a band of followers, obtain fame and renown, increase your power and hone your skills (level up), discover ancient artifacts, lay siege to cities...

It's a mess of a game. But it's a beautiful mess.
>>
>>49711202
So we should also disregard the entire history or roleplaying games, as well as the board games of the 70s and 80s, as well as historical wargames?

There is nothing "modern" about tons of fiddly bits and having to keep track of things that computers now readily simplify. You just do not know/ are actively ignorant of the hobby's history and roots.
>>
>>49709288
>card game with dice

...go on?
>>
Dream game: fast and quick 4x game for two players that uses dice similarly to Dice Must Flow.
>>
File: IMG_9847-Edit-600x400.jpg (68KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9847-Edit-600x400.jpg
68KB, 600x400px
>>49711475
Custom dice are used as resources. You start every round with 10 dice to roll, dice come in different types, have varying tiers of icons, and in addition to being used to cast spells, monsters, activate abilities, the most powerful icon can alternatively be used for a small ability (killing an opposing die, dealing 1 damage to a monster, buffing a monster, etc).

You can also sacrifice cards from deck/hand/spellboard to change dice to the facing of your choice, so "mana scew" is not as dire as it could be. Other cards can also get dice back, change them without sacrificing cards, etc.

You pick your pool of dice before a game starts, so it also tells your opponent what sort of cards to expect, as without any charm dice, i certainly won't be playing an cards that require charm icons.
>>
>>49711306
I meant all the ridiculous amounts of cards, pieces, board expansions, and other nonsense.

What happened to games like chess or mah jongg where you just need a few pieces?
>>
>>49711496
>uses dice similarly to Dice Must Flow.

And (since many of us have never played 'Dice Must Flow') how does that work exactly?
>>
>>49711363
Roleplaying games only require books and dice.

And I advise against supplement books because they are just a cash grab.
>>
>>49705645
My lgs still has a few xopies of citow and they said they're getting one more order of all those soon to be long gone games before its all gone for good.... call around and im sure u can find it if u rly want
>>
>>49711783
>advise against supplement books
Well, maybe. But if $20 are gonna save me the trouble of houseruling deep-sea battles between a Great Old One and a 100 ft steam-powered magitech-harpoon-launching amphibious mech, i think I'll rather pay.
>>
>>49711753
>I meant all the ridiculous amounts of cards, pieces, board expansions, and other nonsense.

Your comment is aptly summed up with "Wah! Everyone else - stop liking what I don't like!"

>What happened to games like chess or mah jongg where you just need a few pieces?

Did they suddenly cancel the World Chess Championships? No? Then yeah, it's still a thing. Along with Go, the National Mah Jongg League, etc. As for 'Modern Games' that don't have a 'Gorillion Pieces!' - there are plenty of them out there. You just sound like you're to lazy to do your own homework.

TL:DR - it's one thing to not find high complexity games appealing when others do, it's another to make useless blanket generalizations.
>>
>>49711344
I always felt like a digital version of the game would be a great idea. idk if i even need to explain this lol but i mean for one, you could use it as a learning tool if you still prefer the real thing, which im sure most of us would.
>>
>>49711063
I'm more curious about that comic you posted than about your actually comment. what in the hell is this ?

in regards to your comment though; i see what you mean and its a valid point which has and continues to be addressed. i mean, just look at tts and phone apps and shit on steam, board games are being digitized left and right and thats a great thing. personally, i find the real thing to be a lot more satisfying and engaging. the main thing about it is that "realness" of figuring out "where can i play this next tile?" as oppossed to having the computer just be like beep boop u can go here or there. which i realize sounds retarded because that only wastes time and leaves room for error but you dont get the same experience... idk man its weird and i totally see your point but also can see why people may prefer physical board games (as i do).

Now, about that comic....
>>
>>49711753
>no more games like chess or mah jongg
The fuck you on, nigger?

GIPF, PUNCT, ZERTZ, DVONN, TAMSK, YINSH.
Santorini, Onitama, Quoridor, Quarto, Ingenious, Khet, The Duke, Patchwork, Lost Cities, Kahuna, Blokus, Gemblo, Qwirkle, Twixt, Pentago, Micropul, Tsuro, Hive, Abalone, Kamisado,
>>
>>49713254
I think he's just being a lazy cunt and wanting someone else to do his 'research' for him. Or he's to social inept to figure out how to ask for assistance like a reasonable person would.
>>
>>49681578

If the publisher's planning to expand the crap out of something, like 7 Wonders, then I don't mind the base game box being overly large. I have Cities, Leaders and Babel, and with the Broken Token insert it's a snug fit.
>>
>>49704613

You've been watching too much Board Game Breakfast.
>>
>>49710972
Oh yeah, that's me. I wanted to shill for it for people who didn't know it... I figured, what's the chance to find another Ashes player from the group in /bgg/?

Now comment on my deck, it has to be tournament-ready fro SAturday!
>>
>>49710972
>>49714280
Also, where are you from? Translated versions are a lot quicker to be made available than original language prints. I coudl get The Roaring Rose and The Duches of Deception in my native language this week... But fuck that noise, the translation sucks.
>>
>>49709071
>5 would be too much maybe?
5 is best, the limited space and town tiles means you gotta play good or you're fucked.
>>
>>49713254
and that's not even mentioning all the dexterity games like Crokinole.
>>
>>49713198
>I'm more curious about that comic you posted than about your actually comment. what in the hell is this ?

It is called "True Swamp", a critically acclaimed comic about life and love in the muck.
>>
>>49675799

I own 1 and 2, and have played 3.

A bit tired of playing them by now, but I sure got my moneys worth out of the game.
If you end up getting it go for one of the earlier entries in the series.
Most games that go for the comedic aspect lose their appeal quickly - how many times do you want to hear the same joke.

Nowadays, we play it as an 8 person drinking game. Good for large nerdy gatherings.
>>
>>49708867
TM should only be played with 4-5, imo. Downtime goes up, but the game gets much better when space is contested.
>>
>Finally get new Kallax shelf set up in battlestation / gameroom.
>Load it with games
>Old shelf now depressingly bare
Fuck. Time to buy more games.
>>
>>49667741
Hive, Grifters, and Acquire.
>>
>>49717061

I just had the chance to play Acquire for the first time two weeks ago. Pretty good stuff. What makes it essential for you?
>>
>>49717183
It can seat 6, requires players to be attentive and adjust their plans on the fly, and I like the quaint theme of being a hotel baron.

One of the best games of Acquire I ever played involved me running out of cash and becoming a shoe-in for last place till one merger gave me just enough cash to begin investing again and the board was set in such a way that I could use my set of tiles to ride a series of hotel foundings to first place while slightly intoxicated.
>>
>>49683271
If that happens it's often a good strategy to attempt to coerce your opponent into playing that card
>>49684975
imo Onitama has a more interesting decision space and more replayability in its base box
>>
File: pic2439223.jpg (2MB, 2000x1999px) Image search: [Google]
pic2439223.jpg
2MB, 2000x1999px
Wife got me this for our anniversary - technically counts as "paper" right? - and me and a mate just played it for the first time tonight. Anyone else played it? Tips or tricks, thing commonly forgotten?
>>
>>49720586
it s pretty good.
steev(thetripfag) seems to not like the drafting.
i like the game do you have the mystic expac and the asgard god expac?
they add quite a bit to the game.
>>
>>49720602
Nope, just the base game. I'm not sure how I feel about the drafting yet, want to give it a go with more people.
>>
File: 20161010_010552.jpg (6MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161010_010552.jpg
6MB, 4032x3024px
Just bought pic related for $60.00 going to play with a group of friends new to the lore. Any tips on how to have a good game night?
>>
>>49711202
>Pretty much all of them.
So it off thousands of games released this year, "all of them" for this description? It sounds like you don't have a real answer to the question.
>>
File: PA090015.jpg (1MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
PA090015.jpg
1MB, 2000x1500px
>go to boardgame cafe
>friends want to try a game
>it doesn't interest you one bit, but you kinda have to play it to not be rude
post yfw
>>
>>49720773
RTFM. Then read it again to make sure you get the flow of a turn right. It's easy to get lost on the first couple plays.
Important bits:
Make sure everyone knows the victory conditions and their dial spin trigger. Only the player with the most dial advancement tokens gets two spins. If two players are tied for first, they don't get a second spin.
Remember ruination is checked for in a strict order, and once 5 areas are ruined the game ends. If two areas, one in the north and one in the south, are about to get rekt on the same turn, the north one can trigger game end and the south one won't even be scored.
You need to beat -not tie- an area's resistance to get any points for domination. Remember to factor in Skaven, warpstone and noble tokens.
>>
>>49720773
lucky you that game is OOP and a lot people are price gouging it.

it s pretty great just make sure to not read the card that other deity have to have the best surprise.
>>
File: 1476051699191.jpg (76KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1476051699191.jpg
76KB, 640x640px
>>49720846
>>
>>49720773

Make sure you get the set up right, fucked it up the first few times and it affects Slaanesh and Tzeentch more than the other two and can really ruin their game.

Speaking of Slaanesh and Tzeentch, they are probabley the most difficult to win with so you're going to want to be careful who plays as them. Khorne is the easiest but only if played aggressively if the guy playing Khorne decides to turtle (which he might if he's unfamiliar with the lore and has no prior reason to go balls to the wall) he's going to walk away with a skewed impression of the game.
>>
>>49721309
what do you mean by making sure the set up is right?
you talking about the noble, peasant, skaven stuff at the start of the game?

if both nobles are in adjacent province it s really annoying to prevent a slaneesh player from scoring bigtime on the wheel.
>>
File: 11 October 2016 Collection.jpg (403KB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
11 October 2016 Collection.jpg
403KB, 3264x1840px
Speaking of bare shelves, here's mine. I had over a hundred games previously, now I'm down to just 29. The bare essentials. I feel cleansed. Cleansed of mediocre games. You guys should try it!
>>
>>49721721
>cthulhuwars

I paid a lot of money for it and in the end I forgot to add Tcho-tchos.
>>
File: Gloomhaven.jpg (105KB, 639x477px) Image search: [Google]
Gloomhaven.jpg
105KB, 639x477px
>>49721744
Part of the reason I cleared out some space was to make room for more Cthulhu Wars. Also, Gloomhaven. That box is massive!
>>
>>49721721
>Millennium Blades
muh nigga
>>
>>49721836
I'm a big Magic player, so it was a natural fit. The box to the right of MB is my Magic cube.
>>
>>49721933
Nice!

I've fallen out of MtG recently, but MB really reminds me of my old days getting YGO packs and making decks. If I'm playing stuff competitively, it's Epic or Codex, both of which I think play way better than MtG and their non-collectable. Personal opinion, though.
>>
File: Codex.jpg (137KB, 1333x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Codex.jpg
137KB, 1333x1000px
>>49721969
they're*

I gotta finish my fucking coffee holy shit
>>
>>49721977
Cool insert! Will it hold sleeved cards?
>>
File: Codex2.jpg (93KB, 730x973px) Image search: [Google]
Codex2.jpg
93KB, 730x973px
>>49722000
It does! Here's an updated pic, that was the night I got it. I have all the chits in a small segmented plastic box now, much easier to keep on the table
>>
>>49722038
I have all the mini-cards sleeved too, and all the cards in the binders are sleeved. It's a great box design, stock!
>>
>>49721776
Holy shit, what's in that god damn box?

I hope it's full of substance not just minis.
>>
File: pic1683693_lg.jpg (229KB, 1024x403px) Image search: [Google]
pic1683693_lg.jpg
229KB, 1024x403px
>>49721776
>Also, Gloomhaven. That box is massive!

OGRE, Designer's edition would like to have a word with you...
>>
File: Team-Lift!.jpg (197KB, 616x469px) Image search: [Google]
Team-Lift!.jpg
197KB, 616x469px
>>49722400
And yes, the box does include an icon suggesting 2 or more people lift the box since it weighs about 28 pounds before adding in any of the expansions.

> Do you lift Bro?

Hell Yes! I play OGRE! ;)
>>
>>49722400
Is Ogre good enough to be worth getting all this shit for?
I got the $2 pocket edition years ago and haven't even read the manual.
>>
File: download.jpg (19KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
19KB, 225x225px
>>49705339
No Cosmic encounter. 0/10
>>
>>49722688
Vasel pls.
>>
>>49713254
Are these the names of actual games or did you just have a seizure?
>>
Very good:
-Civs
-Mysterium
-Battle star Galactica with 3 expansions but also with strong house rules (house rules make it go faster but keep core mechanics)

Very good and super simple (aka family and dumb friends friendly):
-carcassonne
-munchkin
-dixit
>>
>>49722815

>munchkin
>very good
>good
>>
I know this is a longshot, but has anyone here ever played a historical board game called Britannia? If so, how was it, and would you recommend it for a group of relative newbies who are historical enthusiasts?
>>
>>49722722
Given the diversity of his collection, a copy of CE would be a good fit.
>>
>>49723999
>Your collection of good whisky is nice
>You know what would make it better? This bottle of dung I scraped off the highlands.

Take your stupid fucking buzzword and piss off.
>>
>>49724092
>>Your collection of good whisky is nice
>>You know what would make it better? This bottle of dung I scraped off the highlands.
But that's true.
>>
>tfw you manage to snag a copy of Terraforming Mars in the less than 5 minute window they game back into stock at Miniature Market.
>>
>>49720773
I couldn't find the Horned Rat anywhere, but for some reason the Polish edition of it got a reprint like 3 days ago and now it's everywhere.
Blissful.
>>
>>49724310
But that's in Polish.
>>
For people who have played scythe a lot, what is your favorite faction/player board combination? Also, what's your favorite factory card?
>>
>>49724334

Works for me
>>
>>49702205

How is Mice and Mystics?
>>
>>49723122
I have a lot of fun playing that game and many of its expansions every single time. I see ppl hate on it all the time
*Shrugs*
>>
>>49724516
Go form an administratively flawed union with the Lithuanians you Hussy
>>
>>49724792

tfw no motorcycle hussars in Scythe
>>
>>49724562
I have it and it's ok. Sadly did not expect it to be such a kids game. Very simplistic rules and without expansions had very little encounter variety. That being said the story is fun if that's your thing and the components are great for the price. Just sad one of the expansions that coulda helped variety is oop and very expensive.
>>
>>49724577
People dont blindly hate on it for no reason. They listed legit reasons why its shit such as game devolving to gangbanging the leader so second place can win as one of the primary reasons.
>>
Anyone have a neat-o infographic with a list of games that /tg/ can usually agree are great? Also I've been seriously thinking of getting Fiasco for me and my room-mates (we got sick of goddamn Munchkin after two games), which isn't technically a board game, but it seems that you'd know what's up with it.
>>
>>49725032
So you either make sure that u have a summon monster and a lvl1 kitty card in your hand.
Or:
You make sure that everyone else is right behind you.

That way everyone is in second place.
Also, you specifically state that if they blow all on you, the other person will win.

Tldr: easy way to deal with all issues if group is good.
>>
>>49725358
See the following >>49675659
>>
File: BGGsuggestions02.png (3MB, 1833x1500px) Image search: [Google]
BGGsuggestions02.png
3MB, 1833x1500px
>>49725656
>>
I hear Empires: Age of Discovery is just a re-release of Age of Empires 3. If my brother owns AoE3 the boardgame, would it be redundant to get Age of Discovery or were there a significant amount of changes?
>>
>>49725358
Fiasco is absolutely great, but it may take a group a couple sessions to get used to how it works and really try to get into the roles. If people really play their part it's freaking GOAT, so much fun.
>>
>>49725714
Its a repackage of AoE:III plus the Empires: Builder expansion minus the Microsoft license. And if you don't have the expansion, it can be had for about $20.
>>
File: Boards.jpg (927KB, 1540x1860px) Image search: [Google]
Boards.jpg
927KB, 1540x1860px
I don't have a huge collection, but rate?
Any recommendation on what to get next is appreciated.
>>
>>49726700
Impressive collection.
Think you'd enjoy Nexus Ops, Kemet, Claustrophobia, Champions of Midgard. Maybe even Neuroshima Hex.
>>
>>49725630
It doesn't solve the core problem of the game though. People will play just enough cards to knock someone out of the winning position in the hopes of taking it for themselves. There are only so many cards in the deck that do this, and once they run out or the combination of all players "take that" cards isn't enough to overcome the 1st players buff cards, the game ends.

This is how every single game plays out, without exception. If you enjoy the game, great, keep playing. But there's a reason most people stop playing it and don't recommend it to others.
>>
>>49725630
Cool, stull doesnt change the factthat the game devolves to a simple flowchart once a person leads.
Its objectively a bad game but more power to you if you like it.
>>
File: 122303-120742.jpg (53KB, 500x647px) Image search: [Google]
122303-120742.jpg
53KB, 500x647px
>>49720846
>>
Played one of the new MoM2E scenarios Saturday night. I'm not super impressed with it (it was basically horde mode). That said, I do appreciate that William Yorick was OP in the zombie scenario

Played more Medici yesterday. I don't think I've ever been more fucked by a single draw as I was in this game, and yet I still blame myself for not bidding exactly enough to eek out the win

Had my first play of Lost Valley yesterday too. I'm a sucker for unusual tile shapes, and this one has been on my radar for a long time. It's a really neat exploration game, but the rulebook sucks dick. That and we desperately needed player aids. And I hate the ice test die and I find some of the player skills to be shit and there aren't enough trading posts and it takes too long to do anything. But I'm still slightly enamored with this game

>>49725630
Tell me, which strategies can I use to make sure I draw the exact cards I need?

Not saying you're not allowed to have fun with Munchkin. I am saying that it's not a wise recommendation because it falls flat with 97% of gamers
>>49725714
>>49726506
Does anyone else find this game extremely ugly? I'm mostly talking about the player boards, but the rest of the game ain't pretty either
>>49726700
Lots of Ameritrashy stuff. If you want more of that you might as well get the new hotness Cry Havoc. Even though "dudes on a map" is not my thing, I'm personally excited for Inis. And I would recommend MoM2E: Suppressed Memories but it's OOS everywhere right now
>>
Any opinion on what Descent is like?
I looked up how to plays and shit but im interested in peoples opinion on it.
Is it something like a coop dnd?
I want a coop dungeon crawler with my bros so any suggestions incase descent doesnt interest me?
>>
File: pic428828.jpg (369KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
pic428828.jpg
369KB, 600x600px
Guy any expansion to pic related are considered to be a must have?
I'm about to order the base game, most expansion seem cheap-ish but I can't get them all.

Is bare game race choice enough or should I order it with at least one of expansions?
>>
>>49729045
Get undergound instead of base.
>>
>>49729045
Whatever you do, don't get Realms, making your own map seems like a good idea, but it really doesn't add anything except extra setup time.
>>
>>49729436
Unavailable in the store I'm buying from. Way more expensive than the core SW in the others.
Also the theme is kinda too dark for my nieces.
I know it may have more quirks but I'd like to stick with the base SW.
>>
>>49728539
It's alright if you play with the app. If you play humans 1 v many you can rush objectives for a victory and forget about the game and story and so on, so people say it's a racing game instead of a dungeon crawl.
>>
>>49729788
>Nieces
Get Grand Dames, it's small but those races are actually pretty good iirc
>>
>>49731345
Well fuck, I guess i'll skip that than, thanks.

I dont want to keep asking stupid quesitons but can anyone give me insight for blood rage?
I keep hearing theres a dominate strategy with loki or something (i forgot) and that youre at the mercy of drafting.
Im interested in the game but im not a big fan if the balance is fucked and being at the mercy of rng.
>>
>>49725707
Castles of Burgundy in heavy Euros is a joke
>>
>>49731949
Draft Loki cards --> lose fights, win every time. The cards have to align or the other players have to pass you the cards but they don't really mesh with most other strategies (its pretty all or nothing) so you can get it sometimes even with experienced players.
>>
>>49703450
Easily one of the most creative games you have ever/will ever play. And a fantastic one at that. The learning curve can be a little steep if you're not used to heavier games/aren't too familiar with the theme, but once you get over the hump and understand how the 2 phases work, it's an absolute gem of the game. Honestly my favorite part is the replayability. My group and I have played it at least 6 times so far and we haven't repeated any sort of decks once. Plus there's an expansion coming out soon that adds a shitload more stuff, so it's only gonna get better.
>>
File: 1378418962314.png (12KB, 560x407px) Image search: [Google]
1378418962314.png
12KB, 560x407px
>>49720846
I knew what I was getting into.
>>
>>49731998
I didn't make that image, and yeah - I don't think of Castles of Burgundy as a heavy Euro either. That said, the image is a nice selection of game ideas.
>>
Page 10, ho!
>>
>>49725707
>dungeon crawler
>no level 7 omega protocol
>buh
>>
I really like board games with special characters such as specter ops, chaos in the old world, and shadowhunters. was wondering if anybody has any good games to recommend which has special characters
>>
>>49733893
have you played cosmic encounter? it's the king for good reason. there are so many aliens in that game that play completely differently
>>
>>49728532
>>49726848

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out.

>>49726700
Anything not ameritrash that I should add to this?
>>
>>49716642
I have the opposite problem. I was the guy that posted the 2 kallax shelf setup last thread that I just setup in the L shape. I had JUST enough room really for everything I currently owned, but that didn't include my copy of mage knight, the box of netrunner that just came in the mail, and the 2 boxes of mistfall I've got coming this month from the kickstarter, let alone anything else I decide to spend money on in the near future. Now I'm going to have to buy another shelf...which will be mostly empty so I'll have to fill it...

It's the nacho problem but 50 times more expensive.
>>
>>49733893
Euphoria
>>
I finally got to play Mansions of Madness 2nd with some people. Was super worried with my group as they could be pretty critical and call out a game when it's not being much of a game like with Betrayal at the House on the Hill and was also worried someone would hate the app. Hadn't even played it myself outside of solo learning the rules so I didn't know either too much. I setup the app on the big screen and had a table gathered around and surprisingly everyone actually loved it. Only finished the first campaign but was surprisingly fun and everyone had a good time.

The guy I thought would hate the app actually really loved it as a way to add more variety without having to shuffle more decks. The final strategy to get out of the Mansion crushed any worries I had that my friend would say there wasn't enough game there. It actually ran pretty smoothly for a first time game even. Just a couple of rules confusions we flipped a coin on.

My only 2 complaints is that the rules are wonkily written in a couple places. Like it shows a picture saying (Make a will check +1 negates) and then doesn't tell us what the +1 does and seems to ignore it when explaining dice results and setup. We just assumed it meant +1 dice or -1 dice on all those checks but the demonstration didn't say that. There's also times the monster ties as to who it wants to move to and we just made coin flips to decide on that. The other mild complaint is that the miniatures. I noticed when I played the test game with myself that something that slowed the game down horribly was trying to build the minis on the fly and the book recommends you keep them assembled in their stands. Well I don't know what I'm going to use ever so I just assembled them all and glued them in place because some of them had really shitty pegs. Now I don't really know where to keep them because they're so space consuming this way. I'll have to cut up and tape some cardboard boxes together to make a nice holder.
>>
>>49734216
Yeah actually i have that one and enjoy it. Was looking to get something new. Specter ops looks fun and i dont have a hudden movement game so ill probably get that, but in any case i was just hoping to discover some more of those types of asymmetrical games.
>>
>>49734260
Five Tribes is a pretty fun euro IMO, colorful and tactile too. Deeper than it looks, a bit random at higher player counts.
>>
Just picked up Superfight at BN for $20 ($35 on Amazon) while it was on sale for Columbus Day. Seemed like a great alternative to CAH with at least some creativity to it from just the description on the back, but I've never played it before. Any opinions on it?
>>
>>49731949
>I keep hearing theres a dominate strategy with loki or something (i forgot) and that youre at the mercy of drafting.
>>49732026
It not so much a dominant strategy, it's really more that someone will go Loki basically ever game and be a boring motherfucker. It's n-1 people actually playing the game and 1 person acting like that guy who doesn't really want to be playing this game, only it's a viable strategy.
>>
>>49733893
>special characters
I'll assume you mean assymetrical player powers.
Look up Cry Havoc and GMT's COIN series.
>>
>>49734802
It's better without the cards so you don't have to back up generic shit.
For example, I think Doomguy can solo all of 40k. Other anons don't. We had a fun discussion in another thread.
>>
>>49735260
Sorry yeah that's what i meant. Not really interesred in the COIN series but thanks for the suggestion.

Cry havoc on the other hand has been getting a lot of buzz and i still haven't really looked into it so ill check that out soon. Thanks
>>
>>49735304
I suppose Dune/Rex would be the obvious mention for variable player powers, however it kind of needs 6 players to shine.
>>
>>49735268
Yeah, I get that, but the group I'm playing with aren't really into that sort of thing. They're more of the casual sort and I have to accommodate for that unfortunately.
>>
>>49733893
>I really like board games with special characters
Robinson Crusoe
Level 7 Omega Protocol & expansion
Gears of War (OOP but worth looking for.)
Dead of Winter & expansion
>>
>>49735367
speaking of REX
i managed to get an unopened box for 7.5€ what am i for?
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.