[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 358
Thread images: 42

File: sXCbr41.jpg (485KB, 1500x865px) Image search: [Google]
sXCbr41.jpg
485KB, 1500x865px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previously on 5th Edition General >>49682801

Thread Question:
How has your character evolved physically and mentally throughout your campaign (lingering injuries, changes in alignment, etc)?
-OR-
What house rules do you implement at your table?
>>
>>49701031

Only house rules my groups have is using a healing potion as a bonus action. Unless you count flanking and back attack, a couple groups use some combination of those two.
>>
File: 1272618940250.png (20KB, 640x530px) Image search: [Google]
1272618940250.png
20KB, 640x530px
Alright, so after a few years of autisming it up reading splatbooks I finally got a campaign going with some people from the 'net.
Turns out two thirds of the people at our table are first timers, myself included, so there's been a few blunders here and there (like me getting my sheet mostly right but forgetting to add my shield's AC bonus to my AC for two sessions, or our Rogue getting one-shot by the tutorial boss by provoking an attack of opportunity from running in and out of range without disengaging on the same turn. Pretty funny).
Everyone gets along out of character, we don't have any unlikeable fuckers and our GM's cool with showing us the ropes, besides having experience at his job. I'm having a fucking blast and only lament not getting into actual games earlier in my life.

My class of choice wasn't even a choice, I've wanted to play a Paladin since being a high-school babby so I'm rolling with something pretty standard, everything considered. My character is currently level 2, which means I should start thinking about taking a particular Oath. I'm considering Devotion on a NG character, which brings me to my question: I know 5e tries to deal with the fact that Paladins are infamous for either getting fucked out of their powers by unimaginative GMs or playing like absolute retards in general, and while I think I have a solid idea on how not to make my character behave like a fucking subhuman, I'm a bit stumped by tenets and such.
I view them as a tool to flesh out my character by means of roleplaying (which I'm not particularly good at since I'm new to actually playing), but can't currently know if my GM will see them the same way or share my thoughts on them.

How lax should I be with their interpretation, just to be on the safe side? And more importantly, how do I bring up any problems that might arise with our GM without sounding like like an entitled, whiny bastard that doesn't want to be held accountable for their in-game behavior (i.e, That Guy)?
>>
>>49700997
>>49701016
I had been meaning to design some things around divinity, now this'll give me incentive.
I'm liking how monsters are designed in 5e, their design space gives the freedom of choice and flavorful mechanical abilities.

Something like having a deity's defenses only breacheable by successful divine rank checks (needing divinity or cosmic ranks to begin with) would ensure their invincibility.
>>
>>49701098
Rank Check: Two deities in opposition roll 1d20 + rank + strata: demigods 1, lesser deities 2, intermediate deities 3, greater deities 4.
>>
>>49701064
>Managing the impossible and actually get a good campaign going online
Impressive
>>
>>49701064
Huh, I thought I'd hit character limit.

Anyways, any insight is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>49701064
>Everyone gets along out of character, we don't have any unlikeable fuckers and our GM's cool with showing us the ropes

First of all, I hope you're thanking your lucky stars anon. Not a lot of people can get into a good game so here's hoping this will be a long and fun adventure!

From what I understand, your DM seems to be a decent fella so as long as he doesn't mind, I implore you to be fully transparent and communicative with him. That way both of you are on the same page and don't have any issues about your character's motivations.

The other thing that comes to mind is not to be a rules-lawyer or halt the game during the session. Ask the first time and go with the DM's ruling. If it's blatantly wrong ask again, but that's it. Anything else, let the DM rule as is, and you can ask him at the end of the session.

Otherwise be a swell dude, stay away from taboo topics and get into your character!
>>
>>49701064

I played a devotion paladin through Princes of the Apocalypse and didn't like it. Wish I had gone Ancients instead. Oath of the Crown looks pretty fun, but whatever.
>>
Playing a Theurge Wizard here soon, I never play spellcasters so I need some help

Here's my first-level picks-

Firebolt, Shocking Grasp, Mage Hand

Shield, Sleep, Find Familiar, Identify

now at second level, I can get a cleric spell. I was thinking Guiding Bolt, as it's better than Chromatic Orb in pretty much every way, and I don't have any real damage spells.

We have a Life Cleric, but I also considered getting Healing Word for when one of the meatshields gets downed.

TLDR help me I've only played a rogue, fighter and monk and dunno what to do about spells
>>
>>49701062
Whilst I understand why you would make drinking a healing potion a bonus action, does it not step on the Thief's abilities?

How's flanking btw? In all of the games I've played (and consequently ones I've DM'ed) it's never been implemented.
>>
>>49701170

Never had a Rogue-Thief in any of my games. And, the Thief has better things it can do with Fast Hands than feeding potions to people.

Flanking and back attack are things I hate. I've convinced one DM to drop them both entirely, the other two DMs are down to flanking for one and back attacks for the other.
>>
>>49701170
>does it not step on the Thief's abilities?
Fast Hands can't be used to use a magic item, and potions of healing are magic items.

As for flanking, I use it in one of my games but I'm moving away from it, personally. Advantage is given by a bunch of class features that flanking steps all over, like the wolf totem barbarian's rage ability.
>>
>>49701161
Shocking grasp sucks don't use it - if you fuck up and find yourself in melee, your action should be spent either disengaging or casting a spell to leave melee or else incapacitate what you've ended up in melee with.

Your 1st level spell picks are fine.

Guiding bolt is fine, though I'd get healing word for that bonus action bring-the-downed-guy-back.
>>
>>49701228
>casting a spell to leave melee or else incapacitate what you've ended up in melee with
That's what shocking grasp does. You hit the thing with an attack and it can't take reactions, so no opportunity attacks, with the bonus of dealing damage and not spending any resources.
>>
>>49701170
I'm in a game with flanking, not really sure how I feel about it.

It basically just makes every combat encounter "get the fighter/pally in front of the guy and get the rogue/fighter/whatever behind the guy"

but it does speed things up. Makes it not a complete headache to deal with ac 16+ enemies.

Also makes the melee PCs not wanna run in to melee with a bunch of enemies.

The problem with it is that it actually doesn't really make combat any more "tactical". There is no "tactics" involved in "hey Jerry move behind the orc".

Once flanked, a PC or Enemy have to disengage or it's just a slug fest until someone dies. Can't get unflanked because you'll take an AoO from someone.

So it's a mixed bag. Guess I'd rather have it than not, but like last session me and the pally flanked an Ogre and it was just like 3-4 turns of nothing but attacking it till it died.
>>
>>49701253
You have to hit or else you're stuck in melee
I'd rather sleep it and leave, or misty step out or something
>>
Feedback appreciated, and suggestions for Shadow/favored soul as well.
>>
>>49701275
And this thing, don't know what to do for the UA/SCAG options at all but the core ones are shaping up.
>>
>>49701266
It's a melee spell attack, which means you're not exactly likely to miss. Disengage doesn't damage your opponent, but it does work 100% of the time, so there's that. And it's a cantrip, so no burned spell slots.
>>
>>49701275
Favored soul already gets domain spells bruh

>>49701297
>which means you're not exactly likely to miss
Completely depends on what you're engaged with.

Also, you could just cast minor illusion on yourself and walk out without a chance of failure. Or a basic disengage.
>>
>>49701228
mate shocking grasp has saved my sorc's life multiple times

advantage against metal wearing enemies (pretty much anything), some damage but nothing big, removes reactions

>>49701266
Those are spells, they require spell slots.

Shocking Grasp is a cantrip. It doesn't require a spell slot.

It's not a guaranteed escape like misty step, but misty step is a 2nd level spell. you have 3 of those a day

disengage doesn't deal damage and doesn't remove the target's reaction for stuff other than getting an AoO on you.
>>
>>49701314
Disengage also doesn't require a spell slot. It also guarantees you can step away, rather than have a risk of missing.
>>
Is there anything like the magus' spellstrike or spell combat in 5e? ie casting a spell before or after an attack, or casting a touch spell and delivering it with a weapon?
>>
>>49701331
Eldritch Knight's War Magic feature. Cast a cantrip, get a bonus action attack. At higher levels it's applicable to any spell you cast.
>>
>>49701312
The point is Shocking Graps is also damaging your opponent. The other two trade that for 100% disengage. It's a trade-off.

>>49701331
Valor Bards and Eldritch Knight Fighters both get a feature that allows you to make a bonus attack when you cast a spell. That's probably as close as you're gonna get.
>>
>>49701355
You're a mage - damaging one single enemy (and not alot at that) you leave to the martials when your safety is at risk. If you're just shocking grasping a goblin, fine, but if anything with any real meat to it is on your ass, just leave melee an actually safe way.

Your martials are there for a reason
>>
>>49701275
I like it, vanilla sorcerer sucks ass

favored soul already gets domain spells.

I'm playing a favored souls right meow and even with the domain spells it's still pretty shit tho

>>49701312
>Also, you could just cast minor illusion on yourself and walk out without a chance of failure.

uh, what?

>>49701326
disengage also doesn't deal any damage, and doesn't remove the target's reactions for that round (which can be a pretty big deal, I used it once on a mercenary captain guy and it let my guys smack the shit out of him then run away).

Could also see it being used to make sure a spellcaster couldn't counterspell a big spell or something like that.

There's not a 100% best option. If you're fighting something where you'll get advantage, shocking grasp is the better option. If not, iffy

if there's multiple dudes around you then obviously disengage or misty step is the best option.
>>
>>49701382
If an enemy can't see you they can't make an opportunity attack against you. If a 5'-by-5' illusory box makes it so the enemy can't see you, you can simply walk out the back safely.
>>
>>49701266

Yeah, but if some jackass is agrooing your clothies, you can have the familiar drop the shock from a distance, and then every one gets to walk out
>>
>>49701400
You could.
I prefer things with no risk to them. That's largely why I play full casters so much. Sleep. Watery sphere. Wall of force. Reverse gravity.
>>
>>49701398
That's cheesy as fug and very few DMs would let you do that
>>
>>49701426
They're homebrewing their own rules then.
I don't see what's terribly troubling about using an action to effectively disengage in the first place. Disengage itself is an action.
>>
>"I used to think 5e was good too anon. Now it's glaring flaws are stupidly obvious. STR is more or less irrelevant, bounded accuracy is boring, and they essentially forgot the lessons learned about how races should be done from 4e."

Any counter points to this?
>>
>>49701425

Misty Step is a bonus action

If you fail, you can still cast it right after.
>>
>>49701425

I prefer things with no risk to them, anon said, whilst discussing a game based on chance and odds
>>
>>49701438

You're being intentionally retarded and you know it. You're essentially saying you get a permanent invisibility so long as you carry a shrubbery around with you. Like anyone isn't going to think to just stab the damn bush.

>B-but muh mechanics

Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>49701439
Heavy armor, GWM, Polearm Master, barbarians.
I don't see what's boring about a system where something's AC actually matters.

>>49701448
Yeah you could. I'd generally prefer to not use a resource and disengage if I could avoid melee in the next round by doing so though, since that would be both 100% safe and resourceless guaranteed.

>>49701453
Why do you think no-save-just-sucks have almost always been the best mechanical options?

>>49701471
A stationary illusion that people can move through and see is permanent invisibility.
Brilliant senpai.
>>
>>49701438
Pretty sure this falls under the same vein of that "exploit" of making an illusory 1000ft drop real with that one feature in that illusion is meant for making images of things, not for shit like this.
I'm pretty sure Crawford called bs on it.
Minor Illusion isn't an Invisibility replacement.
>>
>>49701439
Strength is useful against basically all physical obstacles (climbing, swimming, knocking shit over) and lets you put out the most damage by a mile (GWM), bounded accuracy being boring means he's a fucking math nerd and you should beat him up, and 5e's races are interesting, balanced, and provide a good selection of traits and abilities for a character.
>>
I'm starting my players into Curse of Stradh, after they finished the AL campaign with those characters..

How in the fuck do I adjust this adventure to fucking level 8's? They're almost endgame already.
>>
>>49701499
Since all someone needs to do is touch the illusion or make an Int investigation check to see through it, and it's completely stationary, it's hardly invisibility.
>>
>>49701439
Just in the event that this isn't bait...
>STR is more or less irrelevant
Strength is directly used to calculate jump distance. Depending on your DM, every point counts. I'm assuming I don't need to point out that strength synergizes better than dexterity with heavy armor builds.
>Bounded accuracy is boring
Bounded accuracy is only boring if you're trying to wank off to your internet powerbuilds. It allows for greater variety in encounter design at various levels (since powerful monsters can be hit by low-level characters and vice-versa), and makes magic items an exciting reward rather than an absolute necessity.
>They essentially forgot the lessons learned about how races should be done from 4e
I'm not sure what you mean by this. 5e races have bonuses to multiple ability scores, no penalties, and many come with what are essentially encounter powers. They're more like 4e races than like anything else.
Any other bait?
>>
>>49701438
Do you seriously not see how using minor illusion to make a 5x5 black box so that the enemy "can't see you so they can't take AoO" is cheesy? That's very meta m8
>>
>>49701439
It's fun. And unless you are a rogue in their perfect sneak attack every turn mode a two weapon fighter will do the most damage in five rounds.

Dex is great and all but a greatsword is satisfying.
>>
>>49701438
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/15/could-minor-illusion-create-a-fog-cloud/
>>
>>49701439
>STR is more of less irrelevant
A grapple build can shut down high priority targets and rescue the squishy mages when they get attacked.
>bounded accuracy is boring
Yes.
> they essentially forgot the lessons learned about how races should be done from 4e
I've never played 4e so I can't comment.
>>
>>49701119
Apparently. From both what I read here and my GM, there's just many more ways an online game can go awry or just turn into a straight-up fuck up.

>>49701142
This seems like the sensible thing to do, yeah. Besides, dude's been answering any doubts anyone has (especially me, since I've been swimming through the PHB again now that I have a better understanding on how certain things work in practice), so it doesn't sound like he'd particularly mind. Communication sounds like a good thing to have rolling.

I've corrected him a few times through questions, and once accidentally since he's somewhat new to running 5e but he'll just laugh his mistakes off and rectify, so I know he won't flip out or anything. Again, cool dude.
Thank you for the input, by the by!
>>
>>49701548
>Boring answer
>Wrong answer
>Not actually an answer
>>
>>49701439
Explain.
>>
>>49701535
What's stopping me from making a 5x5 cardboard box?
>>
>>49701525
So the disengage action is even more cheesy then, since you can leave melee in more than one direction without provoking aoo's is what you're saying

>>49701535
That has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about. A 5'-by'5' illusory box is an object
The person threatening the caster who is suddenly enveloped in a box doesn't see anyone leave the box until they're out of the space through the back
>>
>>49701439
>str is irrelevant

having the highest AC and damage options plus carrying/lifting/ etc capacity plus jumping height and probably the single most useful combat skill (athletics) is irrelevant?

what's more boring - pointlessly high numbers or lower, consistent numbers that have meaning?

I don't even know what they mean by the races part but 4e was all about "tactical combat" and combat roles and at-wills and per-encounters and all that MMO shit so I don't know how 4e applies to 5e race design
>>
>>49701439
I dint disagree. now that I'm more experienced as a dm, 4e is starting to look better.
>>
File: moe desu.jpg (104KB, 775x719px) Image search: [Google]
moe desu.jpg
104KB, 775x719px
>>49701572
>a correct answer is boring
>an opinion is wrong
>>
>>49701439
>>49701597
It is sad when so many people disagree with you in such a short amount of time that you have to samefag to save face.
>>
>>49701588
played with dudes like you before, everyone in all the groups you've ever played with secretly hate you. Probably extends to real life too
>>
>>49701609
>Anime girls and meme frogs are relevant to an argument
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-08-19-50-01.png (412KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-08-19-50-01.png
412KB, 1440x2560px
>>49701610
It's sad when you're so insecure in your value judgements you have to pretend genuine dissent from your opinions is impossible.
>>
>>49701119
My DM started with a core he knew, and has been pretty vigilant with those he didn't, but our online game is absolutely stellar (reliable and enjoyable people, good roleplayers, all willing to write a short journal each week etc).

Did I just get super lucky with my group, or is it not really as bad as people make out?
>>
>>49701640
C'mon man, at this point everyone knows how easy it is to edit these screenshots. Neither of you can prove anything.
>>
File: empty rhetoric.png (178KB, 820x354px) Image search: [Google]
empty rhetoric.png
178KB, 820x354px
>>49701618
waddap Harris
>>
>>49701653
Right delusional people will be delusional in spite of evidence counter to their opinion. I don't know of a way to convincingly edit it on a phone in under three minutes though.
>>
How would one go about representing ship to ship combat for a pirate campaign? Give each shit HP and attack rolls for individual cannons?
>>
>>49701760
It depends on how detailed you and your group want to be. How much control does the party have?

The ideal ship to ship combat in my opinion is actually a regular fight on both ships, a boarding action. The ships act as props for the insurers to use in their boarding.

Everything in the approach stages should lead up to that, and influence how that goes
>>
>>49701760
Players manning the cannons and mindlessly rolling to hit turn after turn doesnt sound very fun
>>
Is there any general guidance for converting higher level DCs from Pathfinder adventures to 5e?

I am trying to go from sporadic Pathfinder playing to trying to GM 5E, so I want to keep same basic fluff but don't have a feel for the transition.
>>
>>49701894
Use the 5e DMG DCs for the character's level.
>>
>>49701646
You got lucky senpai.

Every group I've had on roll20 has had either a bad gm or bad players.

For some reason alot of gms have no idea how to filter players. Like they somehow are oblivious and can't see that the guy who wants to play a CN Half-Drow assassin is totally going to be an assclown, or the guy who says nothing about his character besides "polearm master fighter" is a shitty munchkin.
>>
>>49701760
This desu: >>49701809

Prior to boarding you can use canons to fire on the opposing ship; this should influence the boarding action by reducing enemy numbers or creating difficult terrain on the deck. You COULD opt to sink the ship that way, but that denies your pirates loot and potential crew members.
>>
>>49701610
This must be what mental illness is like.
>>
>>49702028
>>49701809
>>49701760
>>49701888
>pirate campaign
>cannons
>when you can just hire warlocks to eb at similar ranges, they dont reload, can knock enemies off of ships, and have cannonball/grapeshot modes built in
>>
So, from last thread

Can a Pole Arm Master, Green-Flame Blade based, Witch Bolt casting Bladelock "work" as a non garbage "Darth Maul" character (god, I cringe just thinking about) , or do I jump off a cliff already?
>>
>>49702184

Mate, just go Monk and start with Magic Initiate for those spells + Eldritch Blast
>>
>>49702184
why do you feel the need to plan out a strategy and shit?

if you hate the darth maul bullshit, tell him it doesn't fit a fucking medieval fantasy setting and to either change his character or fuck off
>>
>>49702214
Yeah, this is what I'd do. Maybe go Shadow monk for the shenanigans.
>>
Anyone willing to share an intro sheet for their homebrew setting?

How much info do you generally put in there and how much to leave out for your players to discover on their own?
>>
>>49702184
you really should jump off a cliff. I say that out of love and sympathy anon
>>
>>49701031
I posted about Kobold's Tome of Beasts missing bookmarks a couple days ago. Did this ever get addressed?
>>
Playing a dex wood elf a paladin oath of ancients, I'm using dueling and going for Sword and Shield as equipment with a bow as back up. Planning to play him as a pally who isn't a stick in the mud.
>>
>>49702168
Depending on tech level, cannons can have a range of thousands of feet, or even one measured in miles.
>>
>>49702184
It would work, but it would be garbage for a couple reasons.

1. Everything that qualifies for polearm master is a Str weapon, and Warlocks have no in-class way to get heavier armor, so they're biased toward Dex.
2. Witch Bolt is utter garbage. Pretty much the worst spell on the Warlock list.
>>
>>49701064
>I view them as a tool to flesh out my character by means of roleplaying (which I'm not particularly good at since I'm new to actually playing), but can't currently know if my GM will see them the same way or share my thoughts on them.

The important thing is to read them. Then choose the one that fits the way you WANT to play. That way, it is natural.

You should try to be pretty strict with them as they should form a good portion of your characters personality.
>>
First time poster. I've been invited to play DnD by my friend's uncle and I'm interested. Interesting thing he told me is that he got into it in prison and that there were a lot of guys who played there. He said it was the best way to pass time and escape prison life which I found interesting. All I want to know is if this is common? Have you met any ex-con fans of the game? Sorry for my shitpost hope it doesn't derail any discussion. I'm really excited to start playing though. I want to be a Cleric.
>>
>>49702377

He wants to fuck your butt.
>>
Alright /5eg/, I get off work at 9:45. By then, I need the most exploiting, game-breakingly high dpr build you can think of for a character starting at level 5. The only rule is no divination allowed. Thanks!
>>
>>49702464
Do we have to have this post in every thread?
>>
>>49702464
Barbarian with heavy weapon master? I'm not sure what you're expecting here.
>>
>>49702464
The highest dpr build at level five might not lead into the highest dpr build at level 20. So which do you want?
>>
>>49702245

He's not going to be at my table, he's going to be at my best friend's first DM table, and I promised him and I would do my best to make the best out of the bottom of the barrel that he could find.

>>49702270

It really comes through

>>49702342
>2. Witch Bolt is utter garbage. Pretty much the worst spell on the Warlock list.

I know..

He wants to be able to use something like... force lightning

>that cringe

Look, if I can just get this twerp to eat his ice cream, maybe he gets what he needs to plod through his broccoli too, maybe learn to become a good player, and multiclass into Druid or Cleric soon enough
>>
>>49702533
Just tell him the Dm will let him refluff sunshine monks as force lightning.
>>
>>49702377
>I want to be a Cleric.
>friend is an ex-con

I will give you a million dollars in brown gold if you do this and then all you want to do in-game is run a bible study
>>
>>49701228
Shocking grasp is great with Owl familiar though. Have the owl dash through enemy and deliver shocking grasp with its fly-by attack.
>>
>>49702184
You need spell sniper to GFB polearm...
>>
>>49701618
Good argument.

Also I played an Illusionist that pulled shit like that and my buds thought it was great.

Fact is illusions can be good if you're clever enough, until you just start arbitrarily declaring that it can't do what it can obviously do.
>>
>>49702603

I'm pretty sure no one will go to hell if we ignore that bit
>>
>>49702533
>he wants to be able to use something like... force lightning

Lightning Lure from the SCAG. It's garbage but not quite as garbage as witch bolt.
>>
If you cast minor illusion, putting a box around some creature, does the creature perceive itself to be in darkness? Is there a real shadow cast?

If the creature doesn't perceive itself to be in darkness, wouldn't that be super easy to realize you're in an illusion? How does the illusion distinguish between between ambient light and the light reflected off of objects that creates our perception of those objects?
>>
>>49702703
It's magic, it doesn't have to make sense. If the spell declares it can't reproduce effects like light or darkness then that simply would not work. As a DM I would say they'd succeed their will save to know it's not real.
>>
>>49702701

Sure. I can swap GFB for that, let him wait on a magic stick (it's the least he can do), and maybe give it Mage Armor or Shield...
>>
If Illusory box is a valid way to disengage without disengaging, then why not pocket sand? After all, if the enemy has their eyes closed because of pocket sand, then it's the same thing right?
>>
>>49702921
Pocket sand is statted? Go for it
>>
>>49702920
Armor of Night invocation is Mage Armor at will. Obsoleted by magical studded leather but what are you gonna do?
>>
What happened with http://ephe.github.io ?
Is there a replacement for it?
>>
>>49702640
> cheating at children play pretend game
> not going to hell
>>
>>49702989
>Playing a heathen game that encourages witchcraft
>Not going to Hell
>>
Any tips or advice for my first druid character?

He's going to be Half-Elf with 8 10 14 14 16 14. Proficiency in persuasion,deception,insight, perception and 2 more skill from druid list (maybe arcana and survival?).

We will be starting at level 2, so I guess I will mainly stay in Dire Wolf form during dungeon crawling.
>>
>>49703032
Go home /x/, you're drunk.
>>
>>49703043

>That nodex

Hope your game is mostly role play and very little combat.
>>
>>49703043
Did you pick a druid circle, anon? They're very important.
>>
DM offered us to have a free Uncommon Item as a between rewards campaign, and I'm struggling really hard not to jump at an Instrument of the Bards

He gives these things out like candy, I'm already attuned out at level eight and then some, so I want to take a pass and feel like I earn my rewards, but goddamn, that item is jucy
>>
If I want to play a flexible full caster with good nova damage, is Death Cleric my best bet?
>>
>>49703043
Giant spider, climb onto ceiling, web foes, drop onto squishy mages or rangers
Maybe have better dex and lower int, intelligence won't do much for you
>>
>>49702921

All that Illusory Box does is give your attacker Disadvantage on his attack of Opportunity

No different than just Vicious Mock him and then stepping away

>>49702987
oh, this is with the idea that one would swap warlock with Magic Initiate

This way, he could add his Wisdom *and* his dex to a base 13.
>>
>>49703067

physical stats for a moonion are a bit redundant

I'm actually in a group where two of my friends decided to play elf brother druids Bran/Hodor style, and I had to bite my tongue halfway through my explanation of why min maxing mental stats for one and physical for the other just wasn't going to have their intended effect because I could see the headlights flash in their eyes at the last moment

God, I love my dopey group
>>
>>49703104
Why only disadvantage? If he can't see you, he can't use his reaction to attack.
>>
>>49702967
Where is this?
>>
>>49703145
You tell me bruh
>>
>>49703067
>>49703070
Circle of the moon. Hence the low physical stat (it will be replace in wildshape anyway) and Dire Wolf form.
>>
>>49703104
You cannot add both your wisdom and your dex to mage armor. You pick either 10 + dex + wis or 13 + dex.
>>
File: clapping snek.gif (686KB, 498x500px) Image search: [Google]
clapping snek.gif
686KB, 498x500px
>>49703104
Congrats on giving two completely wrong answers to two posts at the same time.
>>
So I just came into possession of a lost Vistani Vardo, which the DM will allow me to keep in only in the condition of me convincing him with my design, because he likes to encourage my mediocre sketching.

So what should I put it in? I've researched online for a bunch of stuff, and I already got a bed, a pipe stove, a work desk for my tool proficiency, a large mirror, a Cold Box for food, a decoy strong box with a few coins and a spell scroll, the actual strong box, with a lot more coin and a few valuables, daggers under my pillows and a bunch of storage space under my elevated bed that can be re-shufled to bunk someone about the size of a halfling

And a trapdoor under that for emergency escapes

What else am I missing?
>>
>>49703073
Tempest Cleric / Storm Sorcerer.
>>
>>49703189
Moon Druid is incredibly strong for the first few levels. Be bold, but know that your beast form's damage will eventually fall off compared to your actual fighters.
>>
>>49703133

Because its just an elaborated Blinded.

He can still hear you move, feel you with his "sixth sense", hell, smell you if it's a wolf creature.

If the DM wants to rule it as an elaborate Disengage action, then fine, but as far as the mechanics go, obfuscating sight with an illusion is just a big fat Disadvantage.
>>
>>49703084
What about Female Steeder form? That thing seem like a spider on crag.
>>
>>49703194

I didn't know Mage Armor counted as an armor. The language in both calls for "not wearing" the same stuff, and things like Spell Song even call for it
>>
>>49703238
Unarmored defense sets your AC to 10 + Dex + Wis. Mage armor sets your AC to 13 + Dex. These are separate calculations and don't overlap.
>>
>>49703238
Mage Armor does not count as armor. However, you still don't stack unarmored defense and mage armor, because they don't provide bonuses--instead, they change the way AC is calculated, to prevent specifically that thing, stacking armor bonuses.
>>
>>49702701
>lightning lure is garbage
Not really, almost nothing has advanatge in strength saves so it gets useful in middle levels.
>>
>>49703238
Mage Armor rule set you AC to 13+DEX.
When you cast it, it will override monk rule 10+DEX+WIS rule.

Spell song work because it give you additional AC, which is different.
>>
>>49703253
>>49703256

Ah, of course.
This was part of the reason I was leaning towards Warlock. I'm not that great with Monks.

Thanks
>>
>>49703238
>>49703280
People have already explained this specific case, but it's worth noting that this is mostly how AC works in 5e: you pick a single formula from those available to you that gives you the highest AC. There are very, very few AC bonuses that work regardless of how you calculate your AC (shields being the obvious exception, stacking with everything except monk's unarmored defense).
>>
>>49702377
D&D is banned in most prisons and the dice are banned in all of them.
>>
>>49703342
Source?
Also, it's possible anon lives in a country with a less dystopian prison system than in the US.
>>
>>49703154
You're the one with the books.
>>
>>49701031
I've been out of the loop for a while. What's this I hear of 'fixed rangers?'
>>
>>49703398
I'll tell you it's not in the books, given I'm a god who actually knows them
>>
>>49703408
They've put out an alternative version of the ranger, because people agreed that the PHB one was a worse fighter. It's in the OP.
>>
>>49703342
>>49703353
Who knows, they might use spinners, and it's not like the guards can stop people from making paper dice.
>>
>>49703408
Last month they released the "Ranged, Revised" Unearthed Arcana that changed the base ranger and the beast archetype for it. It's a less significant overhaul than the ambuscade ranger attempt but works a lot better for it.

It's in the Mega/Google it.
>>
>>49701064
I actually played my first game today as well
It was online so flawed and slow as shit but it was really fun! Wish the guys I played with lived within distance to play IRL with them
We killed like, 5 goblins raiding a guy's warehouse and then stole some of his shit when we found out he was splitting our pay 3 ways

I wish I got into this earlier as well/I wish I had more IRL people to play with
>>
More moon druid question. At level 5, should I start using conjure animal for combat? Since beastform gas low AC, how do I protect myself without Barkskin?
>>
>>49703408
They took extra attack out of the ranger blanket class feature. Which allow them to make the beastmaster ranger not retard with its action economy.
>>
>>49703554
You don't really need to worry about the AC, because you don't lose any of your real hit points. It's still a strict improvement in tankiness.
>>
File: Warleader Archetype.jpg (90KB, 910x458px) Image search: [Google]
Warleader Archetype.jpg
90KB, 910x458px
reposting fighter archetype using abilities from the monster manual.

want opinions on how strong the abilities seem relative to the other fighter archetype features
>>
>>49703615
Martial Advantage is fine.
Leadership is too powerful. I'd make it recharge on a long rest because it can really turn the tide of a battle in a way that's not really a fighter thing to do. Also, make the fighter use his reaction to help his ally.
Parry is fine but overlaps with that one feat.
Last Stand is okay if it has to recharge. Otherwise it's extremely overpowered.
Burly Heart has a stupid name but it's fine.
>>
>>49703353
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/27/us/27dungeons.html
>>
>>49703426

Usually they play from memory and use grab bags with number chips in place of dice.
>>
>>49703411
Do we need to call the psychiatric hospital for you?
>>
>>49703695
>A relaxing pastime is bad for rehabilitation because it distracts the inmates from the awful "correctional" environment
God, I hate our justice system.
Still, worth noting this is not a national rule, and certainly not a global one.
>>
>>49703732
Do you need more dicks to suck?
>>
>>49703595
Well getting hit = more concentration check. Even with warcaster's adavantage... I will bound to lost the spell at some point.
>>
>>49702526
I'm assuming he wants to break his DM well before level 20.
>>
How does Dispel Magic work if casted on a magical item? Dispel Magic just says that it counters any spell equal to the level you cast Dispel Magic at and then roll for a DC if it's higher. What level would a simple +1 weapon be? And does the item permanently become a normal item, does it get destroyed, or what?
>>
>>49703227
That's fine and correct if he's taking the attack action (or he's touched the illusion as part of his turn to be able to see through it) but in order to make an opportunity attack, it specifies "when a creature you can SEE moves out of your reach.", so no, he isn't allowed to make the attack.
>>
File: angryelf.png (979KB, 808x892px) Image search: [Google]
angryelf.png
979KB, 808x892px
>tfw the party wants to burn down a forest for no fucking reason
>>
>>49704001

if the effect does not have a duration it can't be dispelled. dispel magic wouldn't do anything to a magical item unless the item were creating another effect on itself that were temporary, and then it would dispel the temporary effect.
>>
>>49704030

>mfw the party has burned down every library they have come across
>>
>>49704030
Ents, shambling mounds, pixies, unicorn - fetch whatever you feel is necessary, elf - this will be farmland before my short life is over
>>
>>49704037
I see, that's kind of lame. Would have been interesting to be able to dispel magic items. Like if some kind of BBEG swining a magic weapon, and Dispel it to make him weaker.
>>
>>49704110

That's not impossible. If the magic weapon gives the wielder the ability to cast an enhancement on the weapon then someone could dispel the enhancement.
>>
>>49704030
At least it wasn't something silly like napalm arrows.
>>
>>49701504
>5e's races are interesting, balanced, and provide a good selection of traits and abilities for a character
Counterpoint: Dragonborn
>>
>>49704110
Antimagic Field would disable it as long as it was in the range.
>>
>>49704110

Just bring back the douchiest DM spell ever

Mordenkainen's Disjunction
>>
>>49703786
You're the one doing all of the sucking, not me.
>>
>>49704245
alternatively, don't use the "GM FUCKED UP GET RID ALL YO MAGIC ITEMS" spell and just
idk
don't give them OP magical bullshit that you'd need to use it on?
>>
File: I have some concerns.png (79KB, 457x472px) Image search: [Google]
I have some concerns.png
79KB, 457x472px
>>49701031
My character lost his leg trying to mess up a teleportation circle for shits and giggles
He later lost his arm saving the rest of the party from a dragon by shoving an explosive crystal into one of it's ruptured eyes
One of the other players hates character development for some reason and accused me of playing out of character when I shifted from playing a guy who would happily torture people for information and kill indiscriminately to someone who slowly started putting other people's needs in higher regard and generally nicer to people. I'll still try and intimidate the shit out of people cos he's good at doing that from time to time, but he's started using violence as a last resort.

House rules I implement when I DM is that the attack and damage modifier for bladelocks is their charisma, makes them much more viable.
>>
File: 1466114004633.jpg (242KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1466114004633.jpg
242KB, 800x800px
>>49704349
Damn son where do you learn these sick burns
From my mom in bed?
>>
File: ss+(2016-10-09+at+01.15.36).jpg (173KB, 834x426px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-10-09+at+01.15.36).jpg
173KB, 834x426px
>>49701031

Hi /5eg/.
I want to make a fighter archer + spearman mix, while also having illusion spells/cantrips. What would you guys suggest? I was disappointed when I saw the Aldrich Knight limited you to only 2 schools of magic. I like to play by the rules so I don't want to ask my DM to make the exception to change one of the schools to illusion. I was thinking of going wizard as well eventually, but what would benefit me the most if I wanted to focus on archery and only use the illusions as backup, or off combat? This is my 2nd d&d match ever and I'm enjoying it very much, but I can't make an educated opinion based on what I've read in the player handbook. What would you guys suggest?

Pic related, it's my lame AMBITIOUS HUMAN backstory of my current fighter. I just love playing humans in fantasy games, it really gets me pumped to play the under-dog.
>>
>>49704110
No, anon, being able to do that would be fucking lame.

>This is the sword of a thousand truths, one of the most powerful magical artifacts throughout the lands.
>Well, it was. Some guy in pajamas ran in and cast Dispel Magic on it last week
>>
File: Archer_01.jpg (91KB, 600x991px) Image search: [Google]
Archer_01.jpg
91KB, 600x991px
>>49704392
In case anyone has seen that character picture before, here is my edited version of the original. I just made the dagger sheath look like a longsword sheath since I chose the longsword as a 3rd weapon, and I definitely don't have the skills of adding a spear on his back. Maybe one of you can brush up the details, but here it is in case anyone's interested.
>>
>>49704392
Play a Valor Bard. That's heavy on magic though.

Or just do EKnight and beg your GM. Or just start as a variant human and take magic initiate. or multiclass into like any spellcaster

Straight Battlemaster fighter + magic initiate is what I'd do. What do you hope to do with the illusion stuff?
>>
>>49704392
fighter, 2 levels of diviner wizard
>>
>How has your character evolved physically and mentally throughout your campaign (lingering injuries, changes in alignment, etc)?

We started with peasant stats in a world where magic had disappeared, and our first adventure we discovered something that reintroduced tat magic, with my character becoming a Wild Magic sorcerer, for the first change.

Since then he's undergone a number of changes, both in mental and physical state, such as height changes and becoming more and more worried about things.

By far the biggest change is that due to reincarnation, he became a she, and a half elf though. Currently looking for a potion that will at least change him back to a man, and then he'll start looking for a way to become human again.
>>
>>49704376
Your mom is fugly af.
>>
>>49704424
>Straight Battlemaster fighter + magic initiate
That's almost perfect, although only 2 cantrips is a little lame but I'm just nitpicking at this point.

I was thinking of using illusion to try and get my character out of trouble since it's a 3-man party this run. To give you a better idea I was thinking Prestidigitation and dancing lights. I want to be able to confuse enemies or distract them. Mage hand, Minor Illusion, even shocking grasp but in a defensive use since the enemy can't make an attack of opportunity if I use this to try and disengage while giving out damage for example.

I really want to focus on archery, so your suggestion is interesting.

>>49704432
are the two d20s really that worth it?
>>
>How has your character evolved physically and mentally throughout your campaign (lingering injuries, changes in alignment, etc)?

Started off as a recovering alcoholic just getting his life sorted again, doing merc work from town to town. First job in game he met up with an ex, and they mostly ignored each other. After some jobs he became a secret agent for the government, mostly low level intel gathering at the moment. He hooked up with and reformed an evil wizard who fell for him. Once that happened, the ex got jealous and there was a ton of drama.Eventually they rekindled, and for a while they were both pretty happy. At some point we acquired some relic with a nuke spell in it, and the ancient evil that wrote the thing wants it back and murdered the wizard and her "little brother". Now he's just worried about his waifu and allies dying. He's pretty sure he's going to die so they can get away at some point so he's trying to make the most of what he has now.
>>
>>49704533

Yeah, plus you get a handful of utility spells and cantrips. Just deciding that a dice roll someone makes passes or fails is great.
>>
>>49704533
Minor Illusion isn't going to do much unless your GM is really throwing you a bone.

really all illusion spells are reliant on your GM. Talk to him about it.

Most are pretty stingy because illusions are nigh-gamebreaking if not.

as for the diviner wiz thing, Portent is one of the best abilities in the game, for a Wizard. For you not as much.

I wouldn't go diviner Wizard, comes off as more than a bit munchkiny. If you really want alot of illusions and think you can make being part wizard work in your backstory then I'd go Illusion Wiz
>>
Guys, my wife want to start playing rpg, so i will DM the LMoP aventure for her but she is the only player.
So i was thinking about playing a NPC in the party and giving her a animal companion to help fill the gap so i can work out more diverse encounters.
Which CR should i use for this animal? 1/4? 1/2?
>>
>>49704577

if it's taking the place of a player, 1.

Also, D&D with significant others is an excuse to have weird sex. She doesn't want to play, she wants you to fuck her while covered in leaves and animal poop.
>>
>>49704555
>>49704569
After reading up on diviner wizard I can't deny that it's very nice, but unfortunately it wouldn't go too well with my backstory. I don't want to cheese it and say my family was "special" or anything like that. I think magic initiate will go perfect with both what I want, as well as what fits with my backstory compared to a divine wizard from some small human hunter clan. Thanks for the suggestions.

Now that it's settled; what class should I take the cantrips from? I just had a short skim now through the cantrips... There are more than I thought there were. I love this game.
>>
>>49701760
Hp only if aiming to sink ship's or destroy the mast so it can't sail away.

Otherwise it's just a boarding action.
You need to get close enough to board them without getting sunk and engage in a melee.
>>
File: Example.png (533KB, 924x1310px) Image search: [Google]
Example.png
533KB, 924x1310px
>>49701031
>What house rules do you implement at your table?
I've taken to using this encumbrance system. I pulled it off of plebbit, and so far it's working wonderfully.
It really cuts down on characters pulling shit out of their ass, and makes them carefully consider what they're actually carrying on them.

This leads me to my question. Right now my players only carry around weapons, and basically nothing else. My bard carries a longsword and shield, but he also has a glaive permanently strapped to his back for if he decides he wants to use it. How can I take advantage of this?
>>
File: amazong.jpg (30KB, 335x335px) Image search: [Google]
amazong.jpg
30KB, 335x335px
I just got finished doing a murder mystery session in my campaign that I planned almost entirely today.

All my players loved it and, at the end, they asked if it was a pre-published module or something.

I'm fucking stoked.
>>
>>49704717
So, whatever class you crib from is what determines the spellcasting ability. Wiz is Intelligence, Bard is Charisma etc.

Any of them besides probably cleric and druid (really dunno what they have in the way of Illusions, Druid may have some?) will have what you want.

Bard, Sorcerer, or Wizard. Bard and Sorc use CHA and Wis is Int.

Illusions can be seen through with a Int check against the caster's spell DC. So if you take from Wis and have 8 int, you're in for a bad time.

I'd say steal from Bard or Sorcerer and have atleast 14 CHA, not hard to do. Will help you with some useful social skills like persuasion etc.

remember, you get two Cantrips and one 1st level spell. So I'd do Minor Illusion, something like mage hand/prestidigitation, then Silent Image as your spell?

That won't get you much in the way of Illusions, but for low-level play it'll be solid.

Another thing you may want to consider is multi-classing Warlock. They can get stuff like casting Silent Image, a 1st level spell, at-will (so it's infinite like a cantrip). That'll really give you some Illusion options.
>>
>>49704750
good lord, why? do you feed off misery?
>>
>>49702259
I mean, players already have a lot of not reading to do in the form of the PHB, so I'm not sure why I'd give them another piece of paper to ignore
>>
>>49703554
Dip a monk level and may your Wis.
>>
>>49701760
In real naval combat, there were three different types of "shots" a cannon could make.
>Cannonball, aimed at blasting a hole in the hull, causing the ship to slow down, take on water and ideally sink
>Grapeshot, aimed at scything the enemy crew off the deck
>Chainshot, aimed at cutting down the enemy ship's mast
So giving your crew an option of these would make pre-boarding more fun. But yeah boarding action would be way more fun than shooting cannons for 10 turns.

>>49702168
>pirate campaign without cannons
Fucking seriously?
>>
>>49704799
Why to which thing?
>>
My DM wanted to switch our game from Pathfinder to 5e, but didn't realise how difficult that would be because we have a Gunslinger, Alchemist and Summoner. I think I can try and convince him to just make it a new game, although the other players are really single minded about their characters.

I just want to play a 5e game god damn it.
>>
>>49704835
I played a homebrew alchemist in 5e. Wasn't bad, but seemed a bit under-powered.

Gunslinger can be adapted to Battle Master Fighter. Summoner you're shit out of luck I think. Fuck why would you guys want to switch like that. Holy shit that sounds like such a bitch move.
>>
>>49704827
The whole thing nigga
>>
>>49704835
On of the nice things about 5e is that you can pretty easily homebrew stuff. Easiest way to introduce new classes is to make them archetypes.

Show him this, and I'd imagine it would be pretty simple to make a wizard school of alchemy, and create a summoner warlock pact.
>>
>>49704784
Nice. One of my friends tried to do a one off murder mystery and it fell kinda flat. The resolution wasn't satisfying enough, I think. Mind if you post your notes/outlines here?
>>
>>49704392
You need to multiclass for that.

Spears are only good on monks and they have access to minor illusion via shadow monk path.

Thus your best option is a Shadow monk 3/Fighter 1.

For more spells you could go druid later even if only for cantrips and low level spells.

Note that druids don't have to be tree hugging hippies.
They can just be sages who gained a higher understanding of nature.
>>
>>49704879
That's an old version of mercer's gunslinger my man
>>
>>49704901
Cool, thanks!
>>
Have you ever played a character just to fulfill an archetype you wanted to play? I want to play a lawful evil tiefling chainlock of the fiend with a custom background granting me the bad reputation feature. I know it's cheesy, but I love playing comically edgy villain characters.
>>
>>49704835
Why in God's name do you want to play 5e?
>>
>>49704887
Sure, have some outlines.

Essentially, one of the party's in-backstory friends was accused of killing a wealthy merchant via alchemist's fire. The friend insisted that he was just breaking in to steal stuff, and that the alchemist's fire he did have on him was just to break locks.

Here's my notes on the session:

## What actually happened
Alchemist's fire is made of three components: Reddust, the blood of a Red Dragon, and Alchemist's catalyst.

Half-orc (party friend) spilled a fair amount of Alchemist's catalyst in his hair after breaking his flask of it, causing it to go everywhere.
Alchemist's catalyst is completely harmless on its own, but he still went to get his hair shaved, just in case.
The barber did not bother to wash her scissors, as she never does.
This caused the merchant to get catalyst in his hair when he later went in for a haircut.

Later on, the merchant purchased a bottle of Frankie's Amazing Hair Cream, which contains trace elements of Reddust, to try and more properly grow out his beard.
He's been very self-conscious about his loss of hair, and is desperate to get it back.

The merchant was selling 5000-proof magical alcohol to a red dragon in exchange for the dragon's blood, since the dragon is such a horrible alcoholic that he has nothing else to sell.
[The party had previously interacted with this dragon and he was kind of a fan-favorite character]
The merchant mixed some blood into the cream to try and increase its potency.
When he applied it to his beard, he died.

From there, the party went about interviewing the various parties involved—starting with the merchant's butler, and moving onto the barber and the snake oil salesman who sold the cream as they got more information

I think that murder mysteries are more fun when the difficulty comes from the situation, and not uncooperative witnesses. Hassling with a liar sucks. Trying to piece together the truth from a bunch of different stories is a lot more fun.
>>
>>49704784
Can you post this somewhere?
>>
>>49705064
So it was the half orc who was the real killer.
>>
>>49705106
I just did, right here: >>49705064

I kept pretty sparse notes, but that's mostly because a lot of it was just in the characters. The barber is a hardworking girl who sometimes forgets to clean her stuff because she has too much shit to do, the merchant who sold the cream is a sleazy snake-oil salesman, the butler wasn't really all that upset that his master had died.

>>49705111
The half-orc was the party friend who was initially accused. There wasn't a real killer, it was just a freak accident. The half orc did indirectly cause the death, but he isn't a murderer.
>>
>>49704533
Diviner Wizard is the munchkin dip. It has nothing to do with your character concept and you should ignore it.
>>
>>49705136
That's what they all want you to think. Sure, it was an accident.
>>
>>49705063
To be honest, I've played PF for so long that I struggle building characters that aren't overpowered, or having monster stat blocks burnt into my brain from DMing. I need a system I'm not familiar with, I would much rather play a game in a completely different system like GURPS or Shadowrun, but my friends don't, so I settle for whatever change I can get.
>>
>>49704785
My human has 17 str, 17 dex, 12 con, 13 int, 14 wis, 10 char (we rolled for stats). I chose low charisma because going with my outlander background, I also chose the "I place no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folk. Money and manners won't save you from a hungry owlbear." Personality trait straight from the book. I went chaotic good as my alignment and although I prefer to do good, it doesn't mean I do much to get others to like me. With this said, I guess my wisdom is the best skill, so I guess I can choose between druid + cleric to be most effective, but would 1 point less in intelligence really affect me as a wizard as well? Because wizards also get Silent Image, but the Druid has some pretty nice spells as well.

With that said as much as I like the Silent Image, there are other 1st level spells that are just blowing my mind here (never read the spells before this discussion now). I'll list some I'm interested in here based on the druid, cleric and wizard (since these seem to be my best choices out of the casters):

>Wizard
Silent Image, Disguise Self, Feather Fall (grease also sounds really good as an archer, especially if I can shoot fire arrows)
>Cleric
Unfortunately the cleric spells are way too divine for someone like my character. Guiding bolt is pretty badass, but I don't feel right using something like that with my background. If I had to choose form here, it'd be from Create/Destroy water, cure wounds, detect poison/disease/magic, or purify food and drink but all of these are useless compared to the wizard or druid I feel.
>druid
Fog Cloud, Faerie Fire, Speak with Animals, Entangle. These spells aren't so much illusion anymore, but I feel they are still viable and are definitely interesting.

I never realized how many spells there are, this is wild. I've spent this whole time reading over spells. I'm honestly leaning with the wizard since it's the only one out of the 3 that has Silent Image still, as well as having the most useful cantrips
>>
How often does sex come up in your games? Playing a game now where two of the PCs are romantically involved, and we get to deal with it sometimes. It's not bad, happens off screen, always fade to black etc. But sometimes they just don't have any shame and someone gets woken up for something. I think it's for comedic effect.

Anyway, just curious if it comes up much otherwise. This is the first game I've played where it happens.
>>
File: tumblr_n1vcnjHz6Z1slm2sco1_1280.png (598KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1vcnjHz6Z1slm2sco1_1280.png
598KB, 1000x1000px
>>49705558
I just started up a game on Roll20 for 5 other gay people and we all decided to include some lewd stuff as we go. So far what i decided that could work is simply "fade to black" scenes and then if a PC would ask what happened, then its up to that person to mention why he's walking the way he's doing.

So for sex scenes, chances are its gonna happen several times but we just played one session with great success
>>
>>49705558
As a DM I just clarify before we start a campaign the ground rules I have. And one of them is no sex.
>>
How would you remake Cosmic Soul Sorcerer in 5e?
>>
>>49705739
I always played with my family. So thankfully we never had to set such rules.
>>
>>49705809
>The Aristocrats!
>>
>>49705436
With your stats I'd rather suggest a Grapler rogue and go arcane trickster then wizard.
>>
>>49705558
Happens not infrequently in my game, also all off screen.

The DM and 2 of the players are both pretty open abput their sex lives IRL, leaving just myself and one other player who isn't, which probaby has a lot to do with it.
>>
Looking for some tables/generators for making minor/cheap/simple magic items.
http://lordbyng.net/inspiration/results.php
This one's alright, and he's got a table for two-effect magic items, as well.
>>
Which books have additional feats other than the ones in the Player's Handbook, again?
>>
>>49706066
The Feats Unearthed Arcana. And there's a racial feat for deep gnomes in the Elemental Evil Player's Companion.
>>
>>49702168
>sell soul
>Hire someone who has sold a soul
or
>just buy/steal cannon

its more economical to just use cannons. Warlocks are more trouble than they're worth.
>>
>>49706318
> hurrdurr all warlock must sell soul
>>
>>49706617
Even without that stipulation, which do you think is easier to acquire?
A cannon, or someone who's experienced enough to cast Eldritch Blast at a high level?
>>
>>49702168
>>49706318
>>49706617
>>49706721

Assuming that eldritch blast can even be used to target objects, which it can't.

>Some spells (like eldritch blast) target a creature. Some others (like fire bolt) target objects too. Does this mean that I can’t attack the door with eldritch blast? The target specifications (creature, object, or something else) in spells are intentional.
>>
>>49705436
>(grease also sounds really good as an archer, especially if I can shoot fire arrows)
Grease does not burn.
>>
File: asd.jpg (222KB, 1000x647px) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
222KB, 1000x647px
How come 5e doesnt have cute characters like Pathfinder?
>>
>>49706964
>cleric who prepares cure spells in Pathfinder
>cute
It's like you don't even play
>>
>>49706964
Because we're a bit more self-aware than Paizo.

>Write a blog post promoting diversity and cultural marxism by creating a hilariously stereotypical Tribal !African unchained Barbarian
>>
>>49706964
>using a scimitar
>>
Wouldn't it make much more sense if maneuver would be something fighters in general have access to?
>>
>>49707010
Yes, but grogs and 3.autists ruined the playtest
>>
>>49706999
Hey, when that was written it was the only way to get dex-to-damage in PF. not that she ever did - the Iconics are built in such pants-on-head retarded ways that the Barbarian isn't even using a sword sized correctly for her.
>>
>>49707010
that would be way too close to The Edition That Shall Not Be Named, so it's completely out of the question
>>
>>49707019
I mean, i am a newbie, but it would just made sense to me and it would also help to distinguish the fighter better from a class like barbarian or paladin. I Maneuvers make it clear that this character actually spent a lot of time practicing the art of fighting.

I mean, not all of them, some really only suit the battle master, like all the one that basically give other characters boni to their attacks, but in general, stuff like precession attack or ríposte is really something all fighters should be able to to.
>>
>>49707050
Take a look at the playtests.
>>
>>49707050
You're not wrong. It's just that Wizards basically did that with 4th edition, which was different and therefore bad in the eyes of most everyone who played 3.5. 5e is 3.5 light with some really cleverly hidden 4e stuff (battlemaster, the entire warlock class).
>>
>>49707061
Where can I find that? Like I said, I am am a completely new to the system, started playing like two weeks ago.
>>
>>49707080
and maybe as a follow up question, though maybe that is covered in the play test, are there any house rules that let the fighter in general use maneuvers?
>>
>>49704001

It neutralizes a permanent magical effect such as an animated armor for one minute.

If the item is magic because its got a spell on it, like a concentration, or a glyph then it just breaks it
>>
>>49704392

You can play an Arcane Trickster Rogue instead, with one or two levels of either illusonist or better yet, Spell singer.
Maybe go high elf for that extra cantrip

You get all the ranged fighting in the world, plus the illusions and all the abjurations most worth having, such as Alarm, mage armor and Shield
>>
>>49707080
>>49707104
All the playtests are in the mega. You should be able to say all fighters have superiority dice and the improvements, or all fighters have the maneuver dice of the playtests.
>>
Ritual spells have unlimited uses when used as rituals right?
>>
>>49707189
It doesn't expend your spell slot. So yeah.
>>
What is the hardest field on a character sheet to fill out, and why is it name?
>>
File: sd.jpg (9KB, 145x151px) Image search: [Google]
sd.jpg
9KB, 145x151px
>tfw no one to play with
>just spent the whole weekend reading up the Players basic Rules and writing up a character
>gonna chuck it in the bin anyway

Fug :DD
>>
>>49707356
You coud try checking out roll 20 to see if anyone's running mines of phandelver
>>
File: pathfinder.png (2MB, 1024x770px)
pathfinder.png
2MB, 1024x770px
>character creation and everything outside of combat in pathfinder is ridiculously fun
>going into combat makes me want to kill myself

>character creation in 5e and everything outside of combat is ridiculously boring
>combat is fun enough that I could sit through 3 hours of it and still enjoy it by the end

Is there some way I can combine these two or am I doomed to a life of self-loathing and shadowrun?
>>
>>49707073
Eh, I always thought that the 4e Warnock was just a remaining of the Binder.
>>
>>49707407
Warnock=Warlock, remaining=reimagining.
Autocorrect can suck my dick.
>>
>>49707382
Either isolate what makes 5E combat so fun for you and implement it in Pathfinder or determine what makes Pathfinder character creation so fun and implement it in 5E.
>>
>>49707382
Playing 4e will blow your mind them.
>>
>>49707449
Pretty much this. 4e is literally the answer to liking long combats and character generation.
>>
>>49707172
Found it and read it, I think that is super cool! What exactly were the arguments against it? Without the "3.5e fans just hated it" stuff please. I mean, are there any balance problems, because otherwise, I totally would use it.
>>
>>49707428
I'm not OR, but PF character creation was so fun for me because of the vast plethora of character options available. It really made me feel like, of I could imagine a character concept, some option would exist, somewhere, that would let me bring it to life. Magic barbarian? Done. Arcane archer? Done.Someone who takes negative effects from their allies into themselves and stores them to throw at the enemy later? Done. Right now 5e's existing character options feel way too limited for my tastes.
>>
File: Fairy stat.png (646KB, 908x1500px)
Fairy stat.png
646KB, 908x1500px
>>49707373
Hello, i made a homebrew for an adventure i'm running, does this look OP? I had some trouble when i gave downgraded mummies a 2d8 suicide attack and nerfed curse, so i'm hoping i can get a second opinion on this, sorry if the image is too small or big, i can resize it
>>
>>49707536
Whoops, didn't delete the reply bit.
>>
>>49707517
Too many of those options are traps and are actually detrimental to your character in actual play. Don't let that fool you.
>>
We have a difference of opinion, help us figure out the correct way:

Option A:
-When you cast a bonus action spell, your main action may -only- be a cantrip spellcasting action, and not the attack action, dash, dodge etc

Option B
-When you cast a bonus action spell, you may use any other main action you like, but if it's the spellcasting action it has to be a cantrip
>>
>>49707558
B

I've never even heard of the alternative
>>
>>49707578
Me neither but our DM is confident Option A is correct and confirmed by the devs on Twitter or some other place.

I don't want to go against him so I said nothing, it's his rules after all.
>>
>>49707382
>>49707517
>>49707546
The difference is the classes actually are all viable out of the box in 4e and 5e, whereas in PF good god damn luck to martials if you're not running PoW.
>>
>>49707449
Mind your words fool. Admitting 4e had good qualities swiftly draws the wrath of the high Lords of autism.
>>
File: 1463195674637.jpg (60KB, 720x540px)
1463195674637.jpg
60KB, 720x540px
>>49707449
>>49707467
I think the problem really is that PF has so many options in chargen that building a character is a game in itself, it's just fun to sit down and put all of these different options together into one package. Then everyone gets together and shows off their special snowflakes and has a grand old time. Then you get into a fight and remember that you need like 18 feats to chokeslam that kobold or backhand some bandit with your shield, and have to keep track of a bunch of different combat maneuvers and shit that you could do at any given moment or else kobold-shaped rocks fall. Not to mention that all of the cool shit you can pick in chargen is garbage and the only real options are human, cleric, sacred geometry, maximize spell, and that one trait that gives you fast healing, so good luck actually accomplishing anything.

In 5E, someone could recreate 90% your character if you told them "I'm a level 5 high elf assassination rogue" because character creation feels almost like building a loadout in call of duty or picking talents in wow. But no matter what crap you pick, combat just kinda works and everyone has a blast the whole time.
>>
>>49707597
4e was probably the height of class balance.

5e is better than 3.pf, but still a pretty big step back from 4e.
>>
>>49701031
House Rules. I'm DM

>Multiple skills such as arcana and medicine can't be used effectively without proficiency. Stops situations where the barbarian is better at cauterising a wound than the cleric

>Help rolls need a 10 to work. Stops everybody automatically getting advantage on every roll.

>Called shots at disadvantage to hit. Crit called shots that deal at least half the creatures hp remove the limb.

>Custom magic item creation rules that use randomly discovered formulas that send characters on quests to get reagents to craft the items.

>No fudging. Period.

>All optional combat manoeuvres such as disarm, sunder etc.

>Occasionally don't use initiative for combat. Always use an online tracker so nobody rolls which makes combat more fluid.

>We use feats. Technically optional.

>Scroll mishaps

>We mostly ignore encumbrance as much as I wish we could keep it as it is needless book keeping.

>Use lifestyle as a way to track rations. Essentially players spend their gold per day if they run out they go into starvation mode. Saves on ration tracking.

>Using the madness rules.

> Players have to pay gold to get items refitted if they are the wrong size category

>Inspiration

>Players get an extra skill proficiency at 4th, 8th,12th,16th,19th levels. They can also gain expertise in a single skill instead. Resolves issues of there being no way to learn additional skills.

>Revised DC chart that goes from 0 Trivial to 40 Godly in increments of 5.

>I use experience instead of milestone leveling because it's vastly superior.

> Players get bonus XP equivalent to two medium encounters of their level for turning up to the session. Players who miss one session don't get the bonus XP. They do get the XP for the session if they turn up to the next session. ( This was to mitigate the fact we have 3 hour sessions with lots of roleplay and adult lives but still wanted to encourage player participation.)

Think we run more but that's off the top of my head.
>>
>>49707597
I think our best hope is that Wizards just creates a bunch of new character options in the future of 5e
>>
>>49707600
Fucking autistics, this is why we can't have nice things.
>>
File: 1347.gif (6MB, 303x300px)
1347.gif
6MB, 303x300px
>Betraying someone
>Spiders climb walk walk up a shear cliff
>Get to the top and put my hand out
"Give us a hand mate" (Intending to pull the fella down the hole)
>Nat 1
>Guy pulls me up
>>
>>49707606
I think 90% is a bit of a stretch. There's no way you're making a curse eater in 5e without some serious homebrew. And barbarian's still can't vast while raging. I'd even be happy with a few more cleric domains, honestly.
>>
>>49707593
Tell him he's wrong, but that he's welcome to his house rules.
>>
File: 1463544008866.png (489KB, 704x528px) Image search: [Google]
1463544008866.png
489KB, 704x528px
>>49707652
Yeah, I was being a little hyperbolic there. I'm mostly just crying because I think 5e is a better game, but just doesn't have enough character options for me to really get into it. I'm hoping that changes before long and I can move on.
>>
>>49707764
5e combat is a tad boring for me. I had to arrange a noble sacrifice for my fighter with the Dm so I could switch to a druid. That helped a little, but I still miss 4e.
>>
>>49707475
I mean... that's literally the reason. A lot of the people lament the playtest changes on /tg/ because fan reaction influenced 5e's design so heavily.
>>
I wanna make an Arcane Bloodline for Sorcerer.

Thoughts?
>>
>>49707606
Try DMing 5e.

You get to make fiddly changes to dozens of NPCs and make combat as fi as you want.
>>
File: 1464586528451.jpg (62KB, 428x410px) Image search: [Google]
1464586528451.jpg
62KB, 428x410px
>>49707901
All sorcerers are arcane.
>>
>>49705558
often due to the stupidity of a PC
I mean 2 of his character has been raped in the same campaign
>>
>>49707620
Wow your game sounds like it's lots of fun :^)
>>
>>49707931
Don't be pedantic, anon!

Back in previous editions, there were Arcane Domains, and I always like them.
>>
File: coobie curious.png (126KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
coobie curious.png
126KB, 375x375px
>>49707943
>2 of his character has been raped in the same campaign
Storytime pls
>>
File: 1448168047465.jpg (33KB, 505x550px)
1448168047465.jpg
33KB, 505x550px
Is it just me, or is anything that gives temp HP really bad?

Like, the Battlemaster's Rally
>Give 1d8+Cha temp HP to one person as a bonus action.
That just sucks
>>
>>49707964
Arcane Bloodlines, rather.
>>
>>49707189

Well, it takes ten minutes to cast, there's only 96 of those in the day, if you aim to get a full night's rest, soo..

You can cast 96 rituals a day
>>
>>49708007
Healing in general is rough in 5e. Working as intended, I think.
>>
>>49707964
>>49708011
But what thematic space do those occupy?
Currently we have wild magic for a general "touched by the arcane" flavor, as well as dragonfucker and elemental wind. What would an "arcane bloodline" do to separate it from wizard? Why not just roll with "dubious innate control of volatile magic"?
>>
>>49708039
I dunno.

I was thinking that it'd be a "manipulate the magic in other things" sort of class. Almost considered stealing some of the Artificer stuff from that one UA wizard archetype and changing it around to allow you to use Sorcery Points to make the temporary magic items.
>>
>>49708039
I don't have any great ideas there, but you could throw in an extra metamagic in that design space.
>>
>>49708039
Also, the first level thing is an "Arcane Bond" thing, where you bind to a specific object, which grants you a few bonus wizard spells, to go with the "build magic in items" thing.
>>
>>49708067
All of sorcerer needs extra metamagic options...

I had one idea that adding your Charisma modifier to your concentration save when you cast a concentration spell.
>>
>>49708039
Also maybe metamagic options tied to the arcane bloodline that affect specific schools of magic.
>>
>>49708113
I'm working on a set of spells with built in metamagics. Balance is a bit wonky still but the concept is sound.
>>
File: 1455110534967.jpg (48KB, 536x428px) Image search: [Google]
1455110534967.jpg
48KB, 536x428px
>>49707019
>>49707061
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>49707536
Where's the +4 from drik stab coming from?
/how is the fairy weaker outside the bottle than inside of it?
Why is it an entirely different creature when it's trapped in a bottle?
Why is a tiny creature dealing a d6 of damage with a physical attack?
>>
>>49708241
It means they catered too hard to fans of 3rd edition and pathfinder, who also hated 4th edition to the point of rejecting anything that smelled of it regardless if it was a good idea or not.
>>
>>49708241
Basically, the playtest martials all had battlemaster type features, but grogs, worried that the existence of features meant they had to use them, complained. Wizards, blowing over to a loud minority changed things. Instead of champion fighter being a containment class for people who want super simple combat, ever martial has super simple combat, and the battlemaster is the only real option for people who enjoy having more tactical options than a game of rock rock rock, but don't want to be a caster.
>>
>>49708278
Yeah. For my games, I actually removed the Champion as an option and added it into the regular Fighter features. Makes things very interesting.
>>
>>49708271
>>49708278
Those bastards...
It's so hard for me to make combat exciting for my martial characters. I remember when 5e first came out some people complained about how boring combat was. That never really went away, people just figured out how to get around it.
>>
>>49707966
as a preface, this is a homebrew evil campaign where the party is task with causing chaos in various city

First Rape

>The party was in a dwarven city, have been trying to gather information to destabilize the city. At this point the party consist of Paladin, fighter-lock and rogue-lock.

>what you have to know this is, the fighter-lock was a evil bitch, I mean egotistical was her thing, and at this point the 2 lock was having a little spat over which is the better lock

>So the PC in question is the rogue-lock with some long backstory that doesnt matter that much, other than the fact he hate showing is skin to anyone.

>His plan to gain some information was to go the thief guild through thief chant etc etc. However since the dwarves here were kinda isolationist they kinda kept their door shut when the paladin spotted the door because she rolled a Nat 20.

>After some mini events the party was invited by the thief guild by some noble.

>So while the paladin was making the deal with the noble, the 2 players were in the pub doing their own thing. At some point the Rogue-lock decide to be a man and drink dragon fire or whatever was the strongest drink in the pub section of the guild and failed horribly with the saving throw and was totally wasted.

>So the party left the guild, the paladin had some business and buggered off, while the 2 return the inn. At this point fight-lock decided to be evil and inject dnd heroin into the rogue-lock. All at the same time convincing the SUPER HIGH/addicted rogue lock that fight-lock was his friend.

>After this talk the fight-lock decide to leave the door open, which meant in this city "come fuck me". This ended up with a dozen dwarves (50/50 gender ratio) going in and messing him up

>When the rape was over, the fight lock came back the next morning and again convinced that naked rogue-lock at it was the paladin fault for everything .... and the rogue failed his insight check and sprang to kill the paladin.
>>
File: goncerned.jpg (33KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
goncerned.jpg
33KB, 600x500px
>no game for 3 weeks and counting because someone doesn't show up in time
>log in to see if the DM is already on
>one of our players was hit by hurricane matthew and he logged in to tell us there wouldn't be power until monday before his phone died
>>
>>49708308
It certainly takes a lot more work in the DM's side to make combat interesting this edition, that's for sure. Martials simply don't bring mechanical tools to help you.

It has to come from map design now.
>>
>>49708345
The rogue came off less like evil and more as stupid.
>>
>>49706814
Thanks for that, I feel really stupid now. For some reason I didn't actually think of "Grease" as grease... welp.
>>
>>49708345
I count a that guy, a that dm. The rogue send like a great roleplayer though.
>>
>>49708501
It used to be a common house rule, don't beat yourself up over it. Also, in third editions Complete Mage there was the spell Incendiary Slime which was exactly that.
>>
File: Jordynna Jonessar.jpg (164KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
Jordynna Jonessar.jpg
164KB, 750x1334px
>be walking through Rillifane's Grove on Evermeet
>suddenly this little sun elf pops out of a bush and says "Hey faggot, give me some bat guano so I can Fireball these stupid trees. Do it and I'll let you touch my feet."
>wat do
>>
Is the Rally maneuver worth taking?
>>
File: Jordynna Jonessar Sketch.jpg (446KB, 2084x1728px) Image search: [Google]
Jordynna Jonessar Sketch.jpg
446KB, 2084x1728px
>>49708560
>>
Anyone got a high-res version of the map of the North from Storm King's Thunder?
AFAIK it's not in the folder in the Mega trove.
I have the one from SCAG but it doesn't have all the locations on it.
>>
>>49708560
How the hell is touching feet a reward for anything.
>>
File: magical realm.png (17KB, 201x240px)
magical realm.png
17KB, 201x240px
>>49708578
How is it not?
Especially if you're using your tongue.
>>
>>49708560
Fuck you! I'm burning down those trees!
>>
File: anD4gJeG_700w_0.jpg (24KB, 436x358px)
anD4gJeG_700w_0.jpg
24KB, 436x358px
>>49708599
>>
tg, help me customise my spanking new Vardo

So far, all I've come up with other than a few choice arcane locks and a small recreational plant greenery, was to call it "The Bardmobile"
>>
>>49708560
>Jordynna Jonessar
Man, Part 9 is looking to be really really weird.
>>
>>49708708
>"The Bardmobile"

Jesus Christ, my sides

Fuck you Carlos tho
>>
>>49708708
Fuck outta here you dirty gypsy.

But seriously though, some ambient lighting like a couple of permanent dancing lights.
>>
>>49708708
>>49708801
Maybe see if your DM will let you use Thaumaturgy and Continual Flame to make some permanent colored mood lighting?
>>
File: 1448699721263.jpg (28KB, 307x462px)
1448699721263.jpg
28KB, 307x462px
How do I use Suggestion?

The only thing that comes to mind is "Follow and protect me"
>>
>>49708890
"Enjoy (insert magical realm) with me.
>>
>>49708890
You get to tell somebody to do something and they do it.
If you can't think of anything good for this you're too stupid to play D&D.
>>
>>49708567
I like it personally. It's a solid way to help yourself or others survive for a little bit longer.
>>
>>49704214
What's wrong with them?
>>
What are some fun commands outwith the standard list to use with the command spell?
>>
>>49708947
"succ"
>>
>>49708946
Grogs don't like them.
>>
>>49708949
Nah it can't put them in any danger, I rolled for penis size and it's now the source of all my unarmed attacks (which the DM let's me treat as a greatclub stat wise).
>>
File: PdXFH3s.gif (3MB, 576x459px) Image search: [Google]
PdXFH3s.gif
3MB, 576x459px
>>49708947
>>
>>49708947
"Masturbate"
>>
>>49708952
But they're in 4e, too, which is what the argument was about.
>>
>>49709157
I never said grogs were rational.
>>
>>49708801

I salvaged it from a vistani who lost it in a bog.

Came back with a couple of horses, an animated armor, and a level 4 enhance ability, and stole it

I'm thinking of getting mood lighting by dumping a couple of drift globes. I already have one, and they're common enough
>>
is it illegal to french-kiss a baby
>>
>>49709258
Depends on the society.
>>
>>49709258
>>
>>49708890
Convince the king he should hire the party as ghostbusters, then run around the castle slaying ghosts that your wizard made with illusion magic. Easy money.
>>
>>49709210

The team's safe is not a bad idea. A tiny shrine if you have a deity.
>>
>>49709210

Bag of devouring for your poop bucket
>>
>>49705746
I just looked it up, I'm assuming you mean from 4e. That's the one I looked at, anyway.

I don't know why it's strength based. I don't see a reason for it to be in 5e.

Aside from that, the only thing special about it is the cosmic phase thing. You could probably use them as-is, switching at the same times, there's no bloodied so maybe when you're hit by a crit. Though if you wanted to make the class not shit and boring because it only has one feature you could write up a list of invocation-like effects to pick from or a table to roll on.
>>
>>49707873
4e is dog shit.
>>
>>49709498
Bloodied just translates to "going below half health", there's some effects triggered by that but I forget what
>>
>>49709687
4e is a decent game with a number of innovations, a couple issues, and a somewhat different soul than the other installments of dungeons and dragons. Everything else is opinion.
>>
>>49709723
dog shit
>>
>>49709739
Okay anon. You're allowed to have your opinion. We heard you the first time.
>>
>>49709750
DOG SHIT!!!!!
>>
>>49704013
Positioning in combat is an abstraction. Given an opponent in range and the implied local movement in combat the int check (if any is given for a floating box that just appears) should be given essentially instantaneously and if failed should imply perhaps a moment of disorientation that leads to disadvantage on the OA.

The only thing this dipshit tactic is leaning on is the word "see" in the description for OAs, and it's up to the DM whether or not an opponent would see despite some idiotic 5x5 cardboard box popping up after some faggot sat there waving around fleece for an action long cast instead of taking disengage.
>>
File: Grrrrr.gif (714KB, 254x199px) Image search: [Google]
Grrrrr.gif
714KB, 254x199px
Looking at the playtest maneuver system makes me angry.

Would people enjoy it if I somehow homebrewed a restoration of that system?
>>
>>49709875
I would.
>>
>>49709875
Basically just an alt-fighter? I can dig it.
>>
>>49709869
Why would a non magical sword goblin/monster/NPC assume a wall, box or other object that appeared between it and a wizard after the wizard said some magical sounding words and waved his hands was an illusion?

Conjuring a real box, wall, or other object is actually something you can do with magic in this setting.

You sound metagamey as fuck anon.
>>
>>49709723
4e was so awesome it drove a significant portion of the D&D fanbase to Pathfinder or to OSR and it almost killed the franchise.
>>
>>49710022
Not him but if you use silent image to pop a wall in front of you, do all the enemies suddenly get to roll a saving throw to see it as an illusion or do they need to waste a turn to examine it?
>>
>>49710041
NEW THREAD
>>49710041
NEW THREAD
>>49710041
NEW THREAD
>>49710041
NEW THREAD
>>49710041
NEW THREAD
>>49710041
>>
>>49708039
Not that anon, but you could have a sorcerer who tapped directly into the Arcane Power Source, instead of the weave. This would allow more 4e-like spellcasting, to a degree. Maybe have a 1st level power like:

At 1st level, choose a sorcerer spell you know. You can cast this spell at its lowest level without expending a spell slot. You regain this ability after a short or long rest.

To emulate encounter powers. Not sure how much you can do with the concept.
>>
>>49710050
The rules say that you can physically interact with the illusion to reveal it, or use an action to investigate it. But if one enemy figures it out, nothing stops him from yelling "oi it's a fake wall"
>>
>>49709258
>is it illegal to french-kiss a baby
not in france.
>>
>>49709869
Not RAW, the creature needs to touch the illusion, or use an action to investigate (intelligence check) to disbelieve, both of which it can only do on its turn.
It can't make an opportunity attack because it doesn't know when the wizard is leaving. The wizard could "use" most of its movement without leaving the box or the reach of the creature, making noise as it does - would that prompt an attack? No, because it doesn't satisfy the conditions.
What if the illusion looks like the background, painted on a wall? The wizard has disappeared!
What if it's a giant fish? He's been eaten!
Combat is an abstraction, but if you start having creatures act outside of their turn because you're minge miffed about some PC tactic, you may as well stop playing D&D.
Turn based combat brings up a lot of issues, this one will hardly break the game balance.
Thread posts: 358
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.