[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 336
Thread images: 32

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

What's your favorite flavor of warlock?
>>
>>49661888
I love the warlocks that are off-putting and feel alienated from everyone else. Mechanically that really makes me like the GOOlocks. One that doesn't flaunt their power, but simply hints that he's more than he seems.
>>
I want to make a Dirge Singer school for Bards. A sort of necromancer-bard that can overwhelm people with feelings of mourning and loss. What can I do for its bardic inspiration? My first thought would be to let them cast Animate Dead, but getting a 3rd-level spell at level 3 like that would be too powerful.
>>
>>49661951
Just refluff college of satire or lore and take animate dead as your free spell from another class. You don't need to make a whole new school.
>>
>>49661982
That's one of the options I was considering. A lore bard may be able to pull it off.
>>
>>49661927

Yet you really aren't much more than the guy who just nerds out over magic books or the guy who benches rocks for fun.

My least favorite trope in 5e, and it does seem kinda common on roll20 at least, is that Warlocks are this super unknown thing and PCs roleplay them as outside beings of monstrous power.

Warlocks, in my mind, are indeed seclusive but not unknown. 90% of DnD settings are high-fantasy. Every single person who has heard of magic and/or knows about demonic/planar creatures are gonna realize that there are probably weird guys out there making cults and cutting deals with devils to get some small taste of power.
That's basically everyone. Everyone knows that Warlocks are a thing.

They are shunned from society because they are fuckin weird and unpredictable, not because they are unknown or powerful.

Sorry for the rant but I'm so done with all the roll20 GOOlocks talking about how their telepathy is super disturbing sounding or comes along with some dread feeling. Like no. You are level one. You have telepathy, not a mind-penis for mind-fuckery of every NPC you see.

Every time I've seen one act like some level 20 hot shit god only to get crit in the face by like a wolf at level 2 was so satisfying.
>>
Are there any good online 5e sheets that isn't mythweavers?

I want something that does a better job of tracking my feats, proficiencies and shit
>>
File: Untitled.png (8KB, 613x196px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
8KB, 613x196px
>>49662111
Huh? You can type whatever you want into the mythweavers sheets, they even have a ton of extra empty boxes at the bottom.
Here's how I format my abilities.
>>
>>49661888
This thread is way too early, the old one is still on page 1
>>49650746
>>
>>49662212
Yeah, but you can't drop a text for what your feat does or what your spells do.
>>
>>49662111
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/186823/Character-Sheet--MPMBs-fullyautomated-Printer-Friendly-version
>>
Would any Marilith be powerful enough to be a fiend warlock's patron?

Are there named Mariliths that would be powerful enough to become one?
>>
>>49662050
Whoops, I guess my description did go a bit into edgy territory.

I didn't mean full on "Oh I'm an extension of the great plan of [Lovecraft-esque name]"

Maybe more like a step above Luna Lovegood from the Harry Potter franchise. Always lost in thought, seemingly dazed or preoccupied. Less disturbing and horrifying and more curious and strange. Archfey warlocks can work for this too.
>>
>>49662050
Oh yeah, I hate DMs like you. And I don't even play warlocks!
>>
>>49662050
>talking about how their telepathy is super disturbing sounding or comes along with some dread feeling

Gods forbid players want to add flavor to their abilities! What's next, the fighter describing his attacks?
>>
File: Cultist.jpg (616KB, 1028x1484px) Image search: [Google]
Cultist.jpg
616KB, 1028x1484px
>>49662709
This. The book openly welcomes reskinning things as long as you keep the mechanics. I think GOO tomelocks with books of maddening secrets is played out, but I'd rather them out some spooky flavor to it, rather than just roll-play
>>
Can counterspell counter cantrip? Since cantrip doesn't have a level.
>>
>>49662965
>>49662709
I think the problem is that most of the time a player is doing this, they want to add some kind of mechanic benefit to their flavor.

Probably something like auto-fear or advantage to intimidation in his case.
>>
>>49663013
No, he just wanted to be spooky and mysterious, I know the type. But some DMs just won't let their players have good things.
>>
>>49661888
Nice digits
Weird, slightly insane and doing strange scary rituals ritiuals
>>
>>49662996
Yes, cantrips count as level 0 spells (PHB pg. 201, "Spell Level").
>>
What are your thoughts on this homebrew? One of my players wants to play it. Campaign is fairly RP heavy.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?397350-Monk-Subclass-Drunken-Master
>>
>>49662965
I'm pretty much perma-DM (I'm not bitter, I really enjoy it) but if I ever get the chance to be a player, I keep toying with the idea of a warlock/voodoo mix. Treating loa spirits like old gods. There's so many interesting ways to re-flavor a lot of that stuff.
>>
>>49663105
It is worded super awkwardly. I wouldn't use it as-written because it seems a bit janky. The overall concept seems alright, though.
>>
Have you ever cried over an in game happening /tg/? Do you get too emotionally involved sometimes?
>>
Archfey is the best IMO, shame they don't have a couple better options. A couple free extra usages of stuff like faerie fire would go a long way.
>>
>>49663362
No, we're running beer and pretzels campaign. But I have cried over someone else's game.
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/49496804/
>>
>>49661888
I have a soft spot in my heart for gothic horror and demon pacts, but my favorite warlock will always be the fey warlock. I like them as enchanter/beguilers, charming and friendly and mind-magicking themselves where they don't belong.
>>
>>49663362
yes but not in front of people
>>
File: 1401165989415.png (473KB, 637x964px) Image search: [Google]
1401165989415.png
473KB, 637x964px
This shit just happened in today's session.

>join buddies in group that had an opening due to tpk
>DM told me group needed a frontline fighter, but also someone to pick locks
>already playing rogue in other campaign with mostly same players
>decide to mix it up, make devotion pally with urchin background for thieves tools prof, attack off dex to not be too MAD
>party enters tomb looking for some jackass in a mask
>early on, we fight a chimera made of tiles
>dareyouentermymagicalrealm.webm
>roll nat 1, break rapier
>we beat the thing, avoid most other traps, except one rolling boulder, almost kills the barb
>come to a pool, is clearly magical, no one can figure out what it does
>warlock: "lol I throw bath salts into the pool"
>next room is burial chamber, mummy man gets up to greet us, says he can show us to mask guy
>suddenly looks at warlock, claims he defiled the tomb
>"roll initiative"
>1st turn people try to talk down mummy man, no dice, I sacred weapon and divine favor in meantime
>all I had left was a hunting knife I bought off a trapper
>4 other mummies join in, attack warlock, I protect, attack misses
>I shank mummy with my shiny dagger, do over 20 damage a hit from smiting
>"I grew up one the mean streets of Waterdeep, what you dead niggas gonna do to me?"
>"mummy rot? get that weak shit out, I got aura of protection, no one's failing saves on my watch"
>pretty much solo 2 mummies with Knife of Smiting
>smite the mummy lord twice, second hit, angel literally appears to guide my hand
>stab him right in the chest, he disintegrates
>DM takes my sheet, erases rapier and writes Dagger of Ilmater in its place
>I delivered so much holy justice with my stupid knife that my god took notice and blessed the thing
>does d8 damage now and counts as magic
>tfw I am now the Shankadin
>>
>>49663105
>>49663323
Re-worded it a little. I'm not sure why 'Numb Body' was worded so strangely, or why you'd gimp Uncanny Dodge by requiring the monk to spend ki points to do something other classes can do for free.

Drunken Boxing
Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you become immune to Intoxication. Additionally, you suffer fewer penalties while Prone; you do not have disadvantage on attack rolls while prone and attack rolls made by an attacker that is within 5ft of you will not have advantage. Standing up while prone does not cost any movement.

Improvisation Expert
At 3rd level, you have learned to use just about anything around you while fighting. You gain Proficiency with Improvised Weapons. Treat these weapons as Monk weapons.

Numb Body
At 6th level you have learned to endure great pain by simply ignoring it. When an attacked that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction (and 2 ki points?) to halve the attack's damage against you.

Flowing Strikes
At 11th level you have honed your ability to react to your opponents' predictable movements, punishing any who would attack you. When a creature within 5 feet of you makes an attack roll against you, you can spend your reaction and 1 Ki point to make a melee weapon attack against them.

Drunken Revelry
At 17th level you have attained perfection of form. You gain a second reaction. You may not use two reactions during the same turn.
>>
Can a Rogue survive early level with +1 CON?

I can't decided whether to start with 14 CON 14 INT or 13 CON 16 INT (and take Resilence CON later to increase it to 14) for my Arcane Trickster.
>>
>>49663024
If you want to be spooky and mysterious, you have to earn that shit. BE spooky and mysterious. Don't rely on SFX or even character features to do that for you.

>>49663281
I'm surprised there isn't already a pact that works for that. I'd be more surprised if someone hasn't homebrewed one yet.
>>
>>49663410
>Shankadin

The shanking intensifies
>>
>>49663426
I'm about to start SKT with a 12 CON rogue thats gonna be an AT. We'll see how that goes I guess.
>>
>>49663418
>Drunken Boxing
Immune to intoxication is a bummer, but rules-wise it's fine.
>Improvisation Expert
Unless there's any advantage whatsoever to using improvised weapons, there's literally no point to using them. For example, past editions let drunken masters have reach or the old disarm property with poles/chairs, or use tables as tower shields.
As is, this ability grants nothing.
>Numb Body
Monk ki costs being high is by design, since they recharge on a short rest. This ability is reasonable.
>Flowing Strikes
Would be interesting on its own, but conflicts with Numb Body, which is arguably more useful in most situations. Should be replaced.
>Drunken Revelry
Oh, that explains Flowing Strikes. Still, fairly underwhelming compared to Quivering Palm or 6-ki-point spells. Unless you use it for nothing but Numb Body, which would be hilarious but basically turn the whole class into a damage-resistant monk, which feels awkward and somewhat redundant with Way of the Long Death.
>>
>>49663487
Just as a note, I didn't make those up, I just tried to correct some of the awkward wording in the link found here:
>>49663105
>>
>>49663418
>>49663487
Also, with the class being immune to being drunk and having zero abilities fueled by alcohol, the name "drunken boxing" is historically-accurate but boring in a fantasy drunken master context.

>>49663498
I know, I read the original.
>>
>>49663427
I know this isn't Homebrew general, but on the topic of voodoo warlocks, what do you think of these abilities for a Voodoo Deity warlock patron? Too strong?

>Gri-Gri Crafting
Starting at 1st level, your patron bestows upon you the power to infuse simple, hand-crafted charms with true power. By spending at least 5 sp in materials and 10 minutes of uninterrupted work, you may create an Infused Charm. You may create a number of charms equal to your Warlock Level. If new charms are created while previous charms exist, the oldest charm still infused with power that you have created will crumble into dust and lose its power, replaced by the new creation.

An Infused Charm that is worn on any part of the body will protect against the following:
- Poisoned
- Damage
- Blinded
- Charmed
- Deafened
- Frightened
The charm will negate the first instance of any of these with the exception of Damage, where it will halve the amount of damage taken. After it has fulfilled this purpose, it will crumble to dust and lose its power.

>Pour out the Vessel
Starting at 6th level, you can empty your body of self and allow your patron to take control. This effect may last up to a number of rounds equal to your Warlock level, or until you spend a bonus action to end it. Until this effect ends, your proficiency bonus increases by 1 and you are immune to Blind, Charm, Deafened, Frightened and Stunned. You must finish a short or long rest before you can use this feature again.
>>
One of my players wants to play this homebrew cleric domain. I don't like the free maneuvers but what's your opinion on the rest of the stuff /tg/?
>>
>>49663779
> War domain, except much better.
>>
>>49663779
War Cleric + Paladin + Battlemaster Fighter
It seems a little strong, but it's also just 3 classes watered down and slapped onto a Cleric Base. It doesn't LLOOK gamebreaking, but it might be a little strong.
>>
>>49663735
Level 1 ability is overpowered. It's more or less the equivalent of full-time physical damage resistance once you're level 4 or 5. Note that most level 1 warlock pact abilities are garbage.
Level 6 is also kind of strong, but also breaks with the general theme of warlock pacts giving a utility level 6 ability.

I don't dislike the ideas in general, but they don't really work as presented. Something as strong as godly possession that makes you flat-out stronger would be better suited as a level 10 ability, and even that mostly if you focus on its defensive capabilities (as other level 10 pact features do). Defensive charms would be better as a level 6 or 10, and should still be toned down from your current concept.

It's important to study the existing patterns in class archetypes. The warlock's 1.flavor -> 6.utility -> 10.defense -> 14.single-target cc is ubiquitous among all the PHB pacts and designed to mesh well with capabilities the warlock learns from his other abilities (offensive magic at level 5, triple eldritch blast at level 11, etc.). They are not arbitrary design choices - people really underestimate how well-thought-out some archetype structures are, and that unfortunately includes the people who write some of the splat material.
>>
>>49663779
It's too strong. Like, significantly stronger than any other domain in the book. Especially "max damage with advantage, including that extra xd8."

It's basically a rogue-style single-target DPS with heavy armor and full spellcasting.
>>
>>49663861
>The warlock's 1.flavor -> 6.utility -> 10.defense -> 14.single-target cc is ubiquitous among all the PHB pacts

Infernal pact?
>>
>>49663889
1. Flavor: temp HP for killing (strongly-themed ability).
6. Utility: +1d10 on check or saving throw (not attack roll). Can be used defensively, but also for skills.
10. Defense: damage resistance
14: Single-Target CC: single-target removal for 1 round (also damage, but the CC is key).

Yeah, I'd say it checks out. If any breaks the mold a bit, it's GOO for not enough non-combat utility on the level 6.
>>
>>49663914
The temp-hp is clearly a defense ability
>>
>>49663735
>>49663861
In the "Modifying Classes" Unearthed Arcana, the designers say things like "The 10th-level features of both [Barbarian] Primal Paths speaks more to the interaction pillar of the game than to combat; be wary of replacing or altering them to add combat potency." While they say nothing specific about warlock pacts, it's clear that's how they were thinking about the archetype design process.

>>49663938
It's both. You'll notice that the 1st-level abilities of the various pacts are very different from each other in their purpose (although all are meant to be used often), but all give the character a strong flavor right off the bat appropriate to their patron. So you can do whatever you want with the level 1 ability, as long as it demonstrates the flavor of your patron, and is useful often without being too strong.
>>
>>49663410
That's so cool!
>>
File: 1410071158504.jpg (40KB, 454x480px) Image search: [Google]
1410071158504.jpg
40KB, 454x480px
>>49663362
No. Did you? Do you feel like sharing story? 'cause i want to make my players cry, and i am looking for inspiration.
>>
Can Arcane Trickster use Potion of Healing on ally with mage hand?
>>
>>49662416
Strictly, no. Only Demon Lords are powerful enough to become patrons. But you could come up with a Demon Lord who ascended from being a particularly ruthless Marilith. Describe her as a Marilith on steroids, stuff like that.

For my own Warlock, I modeled an ancient Fey after a Green Hag, so she's kind of a Green Hag, but nothing like the one in the MM, way more powerful. What I'm trying to say here is, you can get really creative with your patron, but it shouldn't be just a 'regular' monster from the MM.
>>
>>49661888
>What's your favorite flavor of warlock?
I like how 5e gives a lot more room for the warlock to be hungry for knowledge, rather than hungry for power.

I'm playing a bookworm princess who spends most her time in the library, and found out how to get into contact with an ancient Fey queen. Ans she uses whatever power she's gotten out of this deal, mostly for gathering more knowledge, to eventually better the kingdom.
>>
>>49663410
Your DM's a pretty cool guy
>>
>>49663418
>spend ki points to do something other classes can do for free
Oh, like bonus action dash / disengage?
>>
>>49663426
If you're lucky, sure.
There's a rogue in my group with 10 CON.
>>
>>49664194
If the Fey queen lets her have the kingdom... I shudder to think what designs she has in store for the princess.
Good character concept, anon.
>>
>>49664387
Maybe I should clarify, my character was already a princess in a city-state, just not very interested in political things, and since she was the youngest she could get away with spending most of her time in the royal library. She came in contact with the Fey queen after that.

But the idea of her inheriting a part of the Fey realm too is intriguing indeed.
>>
>>49662050
I agree with this anon. The warlock in my game, who is about to get kicked out, is the edgiest piece of shit ever. He went 4 sessions without casting a single spell. Including his cantrips. All he did was try and intimidate every npc with his telepathy. Now he decided he wants to play some magical realmy sounding old lady cleric so he's trying to make his character die.
>>
Anyone got a statblock for Xolkin in Storm King's Thunder? My party decided to fuck him and his people up.
>>
>>49665039
If you are the DM then it tells exactly what statblock to use. If you are a player then stop trying to cheat and fuck off.
>>
>>49665067
>>49665039
Hmm I was about to tell you what to use but this fella is right. Either you should already know or you shouldn't ever know
>>
>>49664387
Made me think of Fallen London.

Just replace tentacles with dickass fairies.
>>
Can anyone feed me an idea for a "realistic" upper class barbarian, DM is running a "spoiled noble brats go on an adventure" campaign.
>>
>>49665097
Viking Thane
Half-Orc noble bastard
Pampered and sheltered noble whose mother knew about his inner murderous rage and sought to keep it hidden
>>
>>49665067
>>49665084
Yea I'm a dumbass and thought they were unique derp.. Got the statblock now
>>
>>49665097
Fluff rage as hissy fit, and frenzy as whiny hissy fit. Basically, a prince(ss) who goes powerfully crazy if he doesn't get what he wants.
>>
>>49665097
Be a dumb jock with a temper problem
>>
Our fighter wants to attach a rope to his mace. Should I treat it as a slightly better whip, or just a shitty improvised weapon?
>>
>>49665216
improv
>>
As a moon druid, how do you usually communicate to party member while you're in Wildshape?
>>
>>49661888
Crazed Moon Witch
>>
>>49661888
The book suggest that during statbuy, the highest you can go is 15. I'd prefer it to be 16. Can somebody elaborate on the thought process behind keeping it at 15?
>>
>>49665261
So you can't hit 18 with racials at level 1
>>
>>49665261
So you don't start with a stat at 18 after racial bumps. Thanks to bounded accuracy, you don't need super high scores. Min/maxxing your stats just encourages the DM to throw bigger or more monsters at you to add an interesting challenge.
>>
File: Kenshiro_and_Kokuoh.jpg (1MB, 1024x717px) Image search: [Google]
Kenshiro_and_Kokuoh.jpg
1MB, 1024x717px
>>49661888
>>49661888
Does anybody have experience playing a mounted combat focused character? Can it work? Is it worth it? Noticed what you get with the Pali's Find Steed can be commanded and attack, which makes me think it might potentially as good or better than an ranger's animal companion. I realize you can't exactly bring your mount into a dungeon but the idea of like trampling and knocking down people with your horse just sounds wonderful and almost comical.
>>
>>49661888
Remember when making a new thread to link to it in the old one, so shitposters know to migrate.

My favorite flavor of warlock is fey, because the fey are cool. But everything is cool with warlocks. They're my favorite class.
>>
Do wildshape druid count as beast or humanoid for the purpose of Hold Person, Speak with Animal etc,
>>
>>49662250
>8 hours earlier
>previous thread is still on page 8
Nice going op.

>>49665261
>Max point buy 16
Half-Elves are already overpowered, this would make it even worse.
>>
>>49665500
It says that your game statistics are replaced with that of the beasts, and doesn't include type among the exceptions to that rule, so I'd say it counts as a beast.
>>
>>49665261

If you REALLY want to get get higher, you can always just roll your stats randomly.

Oh god, I remember rolling a bard with 20 charisma after racial bonus. Con was 18 too so the DM had to check to dice to see if they were rigged or not. I'll never get that lucky again.
>>
>>49663779
The most I have a problem with is the superiority dice are as good as the Battlemaster. No. D6, if you want to do maneuvers as well as the fighter be a fighter. The maker seemed to think that a smaller list of maneuvers would be good except those are all the ones you need.

Second the level 6 channel divinity should either maximize damage or give advantage not both.

This domain allows maneuvers to also be got at level 1, while a fighter gets them at level 3. And be d8s, and have two superiority dice. No.
>>
I'm working on refining this rule to make meme combat more mobile. For comparison, I want to replicate the pirates of the Caribbean; dead man's chest, sword fight scene where three fighters are fighting over the key. That was a highly mobile fight, that swept over a landscape.
>>
File: file.jpg (118KB, 1028x695px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
118KB, 1028x695px
>>49665796
Doh, forgot the rule. Sorry, in phone posting. See attached.
>>
>>49661888
Warlocks should be Poe or Goethe creations.
>>
>>49665825
>forcing characters to move against their will

EHHHHHHHH

I get it, but still. I think mobile combat like what you want requires more story and landscape setup than it does actual rules. High Ground bonuses have always been enough to keep me moving around.

ie. Fighting on a burning pirate ship. I had a character swinging n a rope across the sails and half my attacks were going toward loosing them and cutting off the burning bits, the other half were going towards the monsters flying around me. Between movement being a per turn thing and not an action, the new grapple mechanics, and shoving.

For the Pirates of the Corribean example, the combatents aren't moving much, the world is moving around them.
>>
>>49665825
I think half speed might be better desu
Also needs a clause preventing you from moving an enemy above you upwards
>>
>>49665241
out-of-character
>>
>>49665982
You mean not moving an enemy above the ground? I think I can do that, while still preserving the possibility of epic flying duels.

Half speed might be okay. I'll have to figure it a way to do that.

>>49665957
Why is forced movement "ehhhhhhh"?

Some of the pirates fights are the world moving around them. For example in the key fight, they hop on a mill, detach it, and as it is rolling the world literally does move around them. But a lot of it is the characters moving in the world, one on the defensive against an offensive threat.
>>
>>49663779

just have him play a Crown paladin. Don't reinvent the wheel if you don't have to
>>
>>49665097
Something like Kubla Khan. Grandson of an awesome nomadic conqueror who was better at taking land than keeping it, born in the purple, never known real hardship, taught how to fight and hunt for cultural reasons but has never really needed to do either personally, his father's holdings are rapidly falling apart and rebelling against him and he has to find a way to stabilize it or carve out some territory of his own.
>>
>>49664168
By the strictest interpretation of the rules, no, since a potion of healing is a magic item and Mage Hand can't activate magic items.
>>
>>49663427
Are you supposed to say 'abloogy bloogy boo' when you're using telepathy or what?

If I say my telepathy feels like a slimy tendril poking around your soul and mucus runs down your throat, then it fucking feels weird and alien.
>>
>>49666175
As a corollary, this is the kind of shit that makes people go 'BURN THE WITCH' than 'stay out of the spooky fellow's way'. Think Promethean: The Created.
>>
>>49663410

Man, the mean streets of Waterdeep are pretty hardcore
>>
>>49666212
To many DM's run their NPC's with OOC knowledge, commoners barely know the last 50 years of their ancient towns history let alone how the fuck planes, magic and science shit works.
>>
Is there anything too overpowered about the School of Satire for Bards? Tumbling seems a little powerful, but I feel like it can work well.
>>
>>49663281
>>49663427
>I'm surprised there isn't already a pact that works for that. I'd be more surprised if someone hasn't homebrewed one yet.

I'm actally working on a homebrew for that right now. You get different bonuses from invoking different Loa, who inhabit your body while you benefit from them.
>>
>>49666480
So, literally the Vestige Pact from 4e?
>>
>>49666436
But that's exactly what I mean. The commoners know instinctively that something is 'off' about that guy, but they don't know what. And that drives them to loathe them. If you have read Lovecraft's works, this is a common theme.

For example in The Whisperer in Darkness Akeley's dogs bark at and attack the things stalking him, and at the end when one of the Mi-Go pretends to be a bedridden Akeley, the protagonist instictively feels hatred and disdain for the ill 'man'. Or in the Dunwich Horror, Wilbur creeps everyone out.
>>
>>49666458
Well, tumbling is great. And bard is already the best class in the game. So yeah, it probably is overpowered.

That being said, I'd allow you to play it, because fools luck is pretty fun for the Dm.
>>
>>49666499
Oh, maybe. I never played 4e.
>>
How strong is Uncanny Dodge for a Rogue? It halves the damage of one attack but most creatures in the monster manual have multi-attack and thus spread their damage out among several attack. I've never played a Rogue so I would love to know your experiences with the ability.
>>
Why is everyone at Adventurer's League an autist?
>>
>>49666480
L. Ron Hubbard pls go
>>
Can Raven familiar speak via mimicry?
>>
>>49666679
It can mimic speech.
So... maybe? Ask your DM.
>>
>>49666670
Anon do you honestly not know about the Vodoun religions of western Africa and the Caribbean?
>>
>>49666659
Because if they didn't have the tism, they'd probably have real friends and a group, rather than having to schlepp it with random fa/tg/uys at your LGS.
>>
I want to get my friend into DnD since he's showing great interest in it. His birthday is nearing and me and my mates are planning to run his first game ever. The guy loves LOVES the Souls series and I feel running a Demon's/Dark Souls-esque game is something that might make him happy.

My main concern is if DnD is right ruleset to use for a Dark Souls campaign? I'm gonna use this homebrew splat that has Dark Souls shit but I am concerned on bonfires, estus, etc. Maybe have Estus be like the hit dice that he can expend in the field or some shit. I dunno.

Any ideas?
>>
>>49666577

It's pretty good, but as with everything you're better off just not getting hit. It's for emergencies, stick and move, hiding should always be your last action in combat. Stealth should always be maxed.
>>
File: joker.jpg (10KB, 279x181px) Image search: [Google]
joker.jpg
10KB, 279x181px
> Warlock
> Drow or Variant human for Shortsword and Hand crossbow
> GoO (collective unconciousness)
> Pact of Tomb (persona compendium)

Does this seem right?
>>
File: niklas-bellok-island-1.jpg (364KB, 1920x923px) Image search: [Google]
niklas-bellok-island-1.jpg
364KB, 1920x923px
/tg/, What do you think goes into making a good homebrew setting?
>>
>>49666805
Understanding that the only parts that matter are the parts your players interact with, both directly and indirectly.
>>
>>49666805
Passion and Execution mostly. You can pull anything off well if you put the effort in.

I also like settings that do the whole 'reconstruction' thing, but that's personal taste.
>>
>>49666805

Understanding of simplified plate tectonics and its effect on the weather.

Understanding of simplified weather patterns and how they effect biomes.

Understanding of why civilization thrives where it does.

The ability to fake being unbiased for the sake of good narrative and not just making all enemies Nazis.

A lot of time and effort.

I have a homebrew setting I use, but it's not totally fleshed out. Depending on what the players feel like doing, I start them off somewhere, drop their goals somewhere, and give them a starting quest. All the work from there is based on their actions. The world is populated, and there are existing conflicts, but the quests kind of generate in the direction the party feels like moving, instead of just being around.
>>
File: wendigo_by_monkey_paw.png (763KB, 800x516px) Image search: [Google]
wendigo_by_monkey_paw.png
763KB, 800x516px
Has anyone made a statblock for a Skinwalker-esque monster of the /k/ variety?
Or is there an existing monster close enough in concept that I can just crib it?
>>
>>49666872

Looks like a zombie deer.
>>
>>49666760
Dark Souls isn't really translatable to board games let alone TTRPG's.
>>
>>49666879
Nocturnal shapechanger with echolalia. True form just looks like shit.
>>
>>49666805
Good settings establish rules or creatures to fix the flaws in the system you're running.

Good settings are fun for you to design, so you won't cut corners or give up.

Good settings meet player and dm goals for what the game should be like.
>>
>>49666872
Intellect devourers accomplish the body stealing trope very well. Rework that on a larger body and I think you'd do fine.
>>
>>49666760
Have a bonfire be a long rest and put im him against really powerful enemies. No short rests in the field.

Let him pointbuy his stuff as he levels he should get better stuff and all that.
>>
>>49666918

have you not seen the dark souls board game on Kickstarter?
>>
>>49667034
I think we all have, and we'd prefer we hadn't.
>>
Is there somewhere I can find the art used in the monster manual for example?
>>
>>49667034
Have you? it has absolutely nothing in common with the games, even the system it uses isn't original, it has been used in several other games.
>>
>>49664457
Oh, I meant the human kingdom. With how I think about Fey, the queen definitely has something unsavory in mind.

>>49665085
>dickass faeries
Anon, please stop being redundant.

>>49666175
>slimy tendril poking around your soul and mucus runs down your throat
See, this is why people think GOOlocks are edgy douchebags. That's like asking your Eldritch Blast to sound like a horde of screaming demons.
You don't NEED your telepathy to cause discomfort. Ignoring the fact that telepathy in itself is creepy to most commoners, I said you can be creepy without relying on class features. How fucking hard is it to stand quietly in the back with a hood's shadow over your face while giving people the uneasy impression that you're staring at them?
What spooks you in real life? Do that. You don't need to add spoopy rules to your class to be intimidating. You already have a high charisma. Use it.
>>
>>49666805
Having a reason to make a new setting. A theme or two. A unique concept. A raison d'être.
If your setting is basically the Forgotten Realms, people would probably rather just play in the Forgotten Realms.

>>49666822
I mostly agree, but keep in mind if your world is to have a strong consistency in the eyes of the players they'll be indirectly interacting with a whole lot of it. E.g. trade between the neighboring country and an even farther country affects the availability and cost of exotic goods the players may come across.
>>
What are the top rated adventures from all D&D editions?
>>
File: 200px-AlucardSotNArtwork.jpg (18KB, 200x264px) Image search: [Google]
200px-AlucardSotNArtwork.jpg
18KB, 200x264px
>Variant Human
>Weapon Master (LongSword, Rapier, ShortSword)
>Warlock
>Undying Patron (Vampire Lord)
>Pact of Chain (Imp or Pixie Familiar)

What do you think?
>>
File: 1467085099809.jpg (62KB, 251x560px) Image search: [Google]
1467085099809.jpg
62KB, 251x560px
>>49666867
>he makes his fantasy plane out of plate tectonics

Planes aren't planets, senpai

It's actually pretty fun to create worlds, I know - one fun thing you can do as a base is use the tilted earth maps from this site http://www.worlddreambank.org/J/JAREDIA.HTM
>>
>>49667358
nay saying flavor just because it doesn't work for you in particular is a real cunt move

if they aren't power gaming or playing as a catboy let them flavor their shit how they want m8
>>
>>49667783
Unoriginal tripe for an overrated series.

>But dm, muh references.
>>
>>49666175
>>49667447
I'm sorry if I came across abrasively. It was not my intention and I'm sorry. I had to wake up early today to go to the dentist (with a few minutes to shitpost), and I'm kinda grumpy when I'm tired.

>>49667816
please don't tell my friends I apologized for being mean on 4chan. They'd make fun of me.
>>
File: DoYouNot.jpg (9KB, 304x228px) Image search: [Google]
DoYouNot.jpg
9KB, 304x228px
>>49667793
>pic related

>>49667783
Fighters are one of the classes that do the least well with dipping into other classes, because they want to get their higher-level features ASAP.
Unless fighter IS your dip, in which case it's fine.
>>
>>49667923
Weapon Master (The feat, not the Battlemaster Fighter Archetype.)
>>
>>49667923
It's just the feat, not the class.
>>
Currently taking a 10 minute break. So, I need a good brief and blunt reason why our Chaotic Neutral Paladin can't do "bad" things just because he's neutral. He justifies that because he's neutral he can do both bad and good like some kind of "My good deeds cancel out the bad stuff I did. The bad stuff I did cancel out the good things I did. I'm good!". I'm running SKT and my mind is rather blurred with all the running of monsters, NPCs and shit, I can't think of something out of "You're neutral meaning you do not abide to what's good or evil. You just believe on your own whims, putting your personal free will above all else" which is paraphrased from the PHB.
>>
File: Julius_Belmont.png (768KB, 584x768px) Image search: [Google]
Julius_Belmont.png
768KB, 584x768px
>>49667783
>Variant human, Mobile (for speed, ignoring difficult terrain, AND being able to avoid opportunity attacks after attacking a creature)
>Paladin, Oath of Devotion (For freedom of movement, flame strike, and the eventual Holy Nimbus area attack)
>use a (chain) whip, with smites for damage
>Use light armour and go full dex
>carry holy water at all times
>get an item to boost jumping ASAP
>>
>>49668005
Just drop something thats his CR+5 on top of his head until he has to make a new character.
>>
>>49667966
>>49667971
Yeah, but any fighter wants to get to more attacks per round faster. Since they don't have stuff like divine smite, it's their main source of scaling in combat.
If you're a warlock with a dip in fighter, you're better off using Eldritch Blast, at which point the dip (and feat) is probably not worth it.

>>49668005
Unfortunately for you, "cosmic balance" neutrality is a D&D staple. It's usually not associated with chaoticness, but that's not too far out there if played right.
However, this guy sounds like a douche who wants an excuse to murder people, so you should just have people respond accordingly and put a bounty on his head. Dead, not alive.
>>
>>49668005
Ask the party if they care. If they do, tell him to cut it out.
>>
>>49668068
>Implying the DM isn't a player whose fun matters
>>
>>49668117
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that. Of course the Dm matters. I'm a dm. But asking for a group vote is the simplest, easiest way to deal with it in the break.
>>
>>49668005
Sounds like the player is immature so there's no really way to solve this
>>
Alignment is dumb and hard for new people to understand. If he follows what he wrote down on his background and sticks to his oath, then there shouldn't be a problem.
>>
This
>>49668188
References this:
>>49668005
>>
>>49668026
>>49668062
>>49668068
>>49668164

Well I talked out to him and surprisingly, he took it well. He said that it's no problem and he understands and apologizes for it. Another player who is the bro of this guy mediated the message to him about what CN as well. Though I'm not sure if Han Solo circa Empire Strikes Back is an example he should present to our CN Paladin. But hey, the table atmosphere is much better than 30 minutes ago so here's hoping for a better run. Wish me luck, anons.
>>
>>49667034
Is it "sorry!"?
>>
So I just got into DnD 5e last July. How long until we get news of the next published adventure?
>>
>>49668239
According to amazon, next one comes out in april. "Labyrinth" likely announcement will be in february.
>>
>>49668239
One just came out a month or two ago, from what I'm aware of all we have for the next one is a production code name.
>>
Just a quick question. Do I need a free hand to cast spells, or can I hold a sword, shield, and still cast spells?
>>
>>49668262

Any theories on what "Labryinth" might mean? If we're stuck in FR, I'm gonna say Undermountain.
>>
File: masterpsychic.jpg (115KB, 630x258px) Image search: [Google]
masterpsychic.jpg
115KB, 630x258px
Take 2 Mystic:
Overpowered?
Underpowered?
Fine?
>>
>>49668296
If the spell requires a somatic component, then yes, you need a free hand.
>>
>>49668296

You need a free hand for any spell with a somatic component.
>>
>>49668304
Absolutely fine.
>>
>>49668296
>>49668320
It can still hold a spellcasting focus, but not a weapon or shield.
>>
Who is /ourguy/ on the WotC 5e team?
>>
>>49668208
I refuse to believe you talked to a problem player and things got better. Everyone knows that's not how it works.
(Good for you, anon!)

>>49668361
If I say it's me, can I have (you)s? It's not me
>>
If a player wants to study a language, how long does it usually take them to learn enough to speak it and write it?
>>
>>49661888
Sorry for the wall of text in advance.

>started a campaign with my regular group as a player for the first time.
>playing LG in a good campaign.
>The entire rest of the party has picked CN and their entire personality revolves around "I'll do whatever if the price is right"
>This is leading them to constantly be doing dubious and, at best, morally ambiguous things.
>To rectify my PC's disdain for this, the party sorc has been using friends/charm person to pacify me and has, thus far, been successful.

As a player, I'm not happy playing "manipulated chump" especially when my PC is the ONLY PC with any belief system at all. I don't want to just start attacking them when they manipulate my PC because that's not fun for anyone, but I'm trying to figure out how to retaliate without being "that guy".

Being honest, my character has been hogging the spotlight on the first few sessions but it's mostly because it's just everyone being edgy amoral mercenaries echoing each other's opinions with my guy wanting to actually act with integrity.

Tl;dr
>Party has built all CN sellswords in a good campaign and keeps charming my PC to get him to follow their shitty antics.
Am I the asshole here?
How can I retaliate without being "that guy"?
>>
I'm playing a druid in our 5e campaign, and having fun with the Land circle and the free prepared spells.
Recently, we got into an encounter against a Hydra. I summoned up a Giant Constrictor Snake using the 3rd level spell Conjure Animals.
Two questions that we just gave a ruling on and passed over:

What is the snake's initiative? Does it move right after me, or do I need to roll separately?
When I Constrict someone, if it hits, do they still get a save to avoid being grappled (and thus, restrained)?

Also, what the fuck is the point of grappling someone compared to restraining?
>>
What are some cool forest monsters to challenge a first level party? Most level appropriate beats are pretty lame, like, I don't want them to just face a pack of wolves.
>>
Krynn Minotaur Druid y/n?
>>
>>49668423
You are not being "that guy", they are being "that guy"

Get a trinket that gives you an extra will save and go to town on those fags.
>>
>>49668423

Clearly it isn't a good campaign anymore. You aren't that guy, you were just lied too. Scrap the character and play something edgier.
>>
What are some good non-combat ways to get rid of monsters? I'm sending my party to a farm that has slimes clogging up the well and ankhegs eating the cattle and I want to present them multiple ways of taking care of these problems besides just killing everything.
>>
>>49668428
Grappling reduces movespeed to 0 whereas restrained does that and gives disadvantage on attack rolls by the restrained target. Attacks have advantage on the restrained target as well.

Our table usually puts creatures entering the fight at the end of the initiative roll but that's just to avoid obfuscation of an already complicated mechanic. (we use roll20 and it sets the turn tracker for us, late additions make it wonky)
>>
>>49664214
Yeah, I like the little flavor he adds to attacks and actions, makes you feel invested in the character. He owns the FLGS, so that's where we have sessions.

>>49666392
It gets pretty bad in the back alleys, especially if you are a qt little tiefling girl.
>>
I just finished reading through Kobold Press' Tome of Beasts, so here's a completely uncalled for review:

Overall, it's pretty good. It feels like the sort of monsters you'd get in the fourth or fifth monster manual of an edition, or if you went on lomion.de and clicked "random" a few hundred times. That might or might not appeal to you but, personally, I like it. Also, lots of lair actions, lair actions are cool.

There are a few monsters that are clearly designed to fit into KP's own settings, but they're easy enough to refluff.

I haven't been through the maths on many of the monsters, but they don't look any more broken than what we have in the MM.

(I was especially fond of the higher-CR fey, but that was because I wanted some for a campaign anyway)
>>
>>49668503
if they're dealing with actual animals, animal handling, baiting them somewhere with food, using the druid to try and speak with them
>>
Whats the general code of conduct at new groups with random people, how should I act? Should I just stick to myself or arrive early to get chatting with other people? Is it a bad idea to hit on any of the boys?
>>
>reading Storm King's Thunder

Jesus this adventure looks like a real good one. I kinda feel annoyed at myself that I let my table start OOTA a couple months ago and we're still in the Underdark.
>>
>>49661888
Fey is cool for being a right magical bastard. The undead one from SCAG is also pretty neat, if you want to be a necromancer rather than a "necromancer".

>>49668393
Depends on the circumstances, but I'd say "a couple of months" to be reasonably fluent.
>>
>>49668320
>>49668328
>>49668341
Ah I see, thanks for the answers. I also noticed that I could take a feat that helps with that as well.

One more question, are there no spellcasting failure chances anymore with armor, or is it just "if you're not proficient, you can't cast" now?
>>
>>49668515
Hmm. Alright.
I knew the mechanical difference, but it seems like grappling (the action) isn't usually that useful in combat.

We thought about slapping it at the end of order, too. Anyone else have input on when we should place the snake?
>>
>>49663013
well I alway thought if your warlock is secretly mind whisper " I know what you did to X" enough time like everyone morning to a character then the NPC is go mad
>>
>>49668602
get used to it buddy
>>
Thinking about taking a Dragonborn into Storm King's Thunder. Any notable elements to look out for or stay away from for my chosen resistance?
>>
>>49668484
>>49668481
Thanks guys. The gm pulled me aside after last night's session and said he really liked my character and behavior. He is as annoyed as I am and says that they're going to have to have consequences for playing so shadily.

He also said I could trade my ring that protects me from fear effects to one that protects from 1-2 level charm effects and grants advantage on Wis saving throws. Think ill take him up on it.

I'm also the only martial/non pussy in the group. I was thinking I might pin the guy doing it and threaten him. If he does it again, I'll take something of his and continue to do so until he stops or is naked.
>>
>>49666175
It's not appropriate to molest your party members. Physically or otherwise.
>>
>>49667816
>catboy
I don't follow.
>>
>>49668648
Depends if anyone's decided which giants you're going to fight after chapter 4.
Plus the final boss is a blue dragon.
>>
>>49668484
I mentioned scrapping to the dm and he urged me not to.
>>
>>49668532
On the other hand, it's mostly a compilation of monsters they've done before (mostly for PF) and it kinda shows. There's about half a dozen "looks like a sexy lady to lure young men in and then kills them" monsters and almost as many sand-themed undead.
>>
>>49665825
>dude in a defensible position with nothing but a crossbow and a dagger
>sees some jackass in armor with a greatsword running towards him
>decides to leap out of cover and run towards him
It's shit.
>>
>>49668699
Nevermind, I'm retarded.
>>
>>49668699
That's exactly the opposite way to how it works
You attack someone and choose to push them back
It doesn't work with a crossbow and you don't have to do it
>>
>>49668668
What're the options of giants to fight and what's the rationale for why one or more of those groups has to get buttfucked?
>>
>>49668721
>>49668699
How could I make it clearer for retards? You aren't retarded, i think it's unclear right now.
>>
Are there any rules for mounted combat in 5E?
>>
>>49668743
At one point you need to get a teleportation conch from one of the giant leaders so you can warp to the undersea base of the Storm Giants. You get to pick from Hill, Stone, Fire and Frost Giants.
Obviously the enemies in some of the areas are themed so your resistance can come into play, but your breath weapon is something to think about.
Each giant is also enacting a dastardly plan so you can fight more than one set if you feel like it and have time.
>>
If I want to run the most detailed and fluff-heavy SKT run, is reading the SCAG to the point of devouring it will make me reach that point?
>>
>>49666760
Considering there's multiple games in multiple different settings, as long as get more of the feeling and atmosphere you should be alright. Translating exact enemies and such is the wrong way to go about it.
>>49667008 is probably the best bet.
>>
>>49668743
In the quest to find the Storm King's Court there are five possible directions to pursue to find the magical means to get there.

The Hill Giant Hall, enginered by goblins and build by the hill giants where their Chief seeks new favor with their Gods by working diligently to become the biggest of giants.

In the sea of moving ice a Jarl of the Ice Giants seeks to pillage and plunder the seas as never before to please his gods that when the Ordning is restored he is mightiest.

A Fire Giant Duke seeks to rebuild and ancient Goliath and unleash it upon Dragons to earn his position. However to reforge the golem he needs to steal a bound Primordial for his forge.

A cloud Giant believes the fall of the ancient giant civilization was why the gods are angry, so she seeks ancient giant relics from her cloud castle, though discovering how much the small folk have built over once sacred places is pushing her to consider radical measures against them.

And something about a Stone giant leader too. I forget.

The thing is, each is pursuing an ultimately unattainable goal; which makes them ever more dangerous and somewhat tragic.
>>
It will help.
>>
>>49667008
>>49668858

>point buy

Hmm interesting, care to elaborate? I'm brainstorming some ideas here but I dunno if Point Buying stats is a way to go cause the numbers might get too huge as we go.

A friend of mine suggest that killing enemies will give you the Souls which can be used for such a Point Buy mechanic (like killing Skeleton 1 will give him 1 Soul) but we're just tossing ideas around over here.
>>
What is your favorite adventure module and why is it Storm King's Thunder?
>>
>>49668361
/ourguy/ got fired, there isn't anybody even remotely respectable left at WotC.

>>49668817
Not really, they're some random feats that aren't worth it and "common sense" rules but that's about it.
>>
>>49668838
You'll probably want to go back and read some of the old fluff books on Faerun. There's much more depth to it than what SCAG tells you. Some of the old books even contain recipes for local cuisine using fantasy ingredients that don't even exist, there's a lot you can do if you want to make it super detailed and fluff heavy.
>>
>>49668948
That's not CoS though.
CoS even has canon pic related.
C A N O N .
>>
Would it be possible to build a character who uses a Stand from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure by using a monk and slightly reflavoring it to where the stand is the one doing the monk abilities and attacks for the most part? Or would there be a better execution to this?
>>
>>49668576
As in this is our first time playing with the group? If so, then it's well within your rights to get there a bit earlier and socialize before the session. However, the people you're playing with might not be immediately open with you, what with the social ineptitude that is rampant amongst players.

Baseline: don't be autistic. If people are more extroverted, thenot go for it. If people are more introverted, then maybe dial it down or try not to push too hard.

Hit on the boys if you want to ruin party dynamic.
>>
>>49668607
Yeah, if you aren't proficient you can't cast. Also, the spellcasting focus for certain classes can be put on a shield, so it still frees you up to sword and board.
>>
>>49668992

Alright.

My players are heavy on roleplaying and they're just starting out! I'm actually excited and they've been picking places on the Sword Coast map on where their players used to live with my advice and summarized blurbs of the place.

With how SKT takes across a lot of Faerun, I want to deliver them the Faerun they've been thinking in their heads based on their expectations.
>>
>>49668993
Catgirls are shit tho.
>>
>>49669006
>>49669006
Beast master?
>>
>>49669048
Not as shit as you. You actually have a negative charisma ability modifier irl.
What.
>>
>>49668817
Page 198 of the PHB has all the system information about mounted combat.
>>
>>49668393
Six months of adventuring while studying during rests, three months of downtime.
>>
File: 1427767527000.jpg (13KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1427767527000.jpg
13KB, 250x250px
>>49665825
>Elf rogue dashes and lunges at someone, pushing them up to 70 feet back to either go off a cliff or into an obstruction for max sneak attack damage
I think it could do with some improvement.
>>
Should a male character thats is particularly well endowned get a charisma role bonus when up against heterosexual woman?
>>
>>49669207
>>>/erp/
>>
>>49669039
Awesome!
>>
>>49669207
How does the penis factor into the CHA check though? Also it depends on the woman, most would just be like "oh that's a large penis" and not "lemme get on dat dick imma do anything for it."

>inb4 kangz
>>
>>49669207
Unless he's naked or is wearing really tight pants
>>
>>49668993
What cat girl is there in CoS?
>>
>>49668964
Who on the 5e team got fired?
>>
>>49669290
Lady Wachter's daughter.
She's not 100% with the program, but we've got precedent mane.
>>
>>49669207
When most sane women see a giant dick, they think, "That would hurt way too much," not, "oh my god i need it inside me".

Also how would they ever see your giant dick under that armor
>>
>>49665216
It's nothing like a whip...
>>
>>49669319
Found the guy with the average sized cock
>>
>>49665097
Atilla the Hun.
>>
>>49661951
Lvl 3:All damaging spells that have a vocal component deal an additional Cha mod necrotic damage.

Lvl 6: Learn one lvl 1 necromancy spell from any spell list.
You can now cast it for free Cha mod times per short/long rest.
>>
>>49663410
Good to see other DMs doing this too. I'm surprised how few thought of making magic weapons from just interacting with crazy magical shit.
>>
>>49669308
>Who on the 5e team got fired?
Who didn't? they've reduced the Dnd team to <8 people.
>>
Do you guys know of any good music to have in the background for DnD? None of that shitty Two Steps from Hell stuff. I've been using Baldur's Gate, Pillars of Eternity, and Endless Legend so far.
>>
>>49669430
Firelink Shrine.
>>
>>49669430
Try out this playlist senpai

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVHGe9JLVncHC62AV9Yo-KtWsadvzxBgE

Its not too everyones taste I will admit but its pretty chill for the long sessions.
>>
>>49669476
>actual weebshit
For what purpose, this deception?
>>
>>49669474
Yea forgot to mention I use a lot of the Soulsborne music too.
>>49669476
Not bad. Looks like some good atmospheric music in here. Thanks
>>
why are dragondudes so underwhelming
>worthless 1/short attack
>a resistance
>that's it

meanwhile, dwarves
>armor and weapon proficiencies
>an extra stat point
>multiple kinds of utility
>a bad resistance
>darkvision
>>
File: 1413520024086.gif (3MB, 300x237px) Image search: [Google]
1413520024086.gif
3MB, 300x237px
>>49669516
>I use a lot of the Soulsborne music too
>>
>>49669509
>sees Jap chars, cries weebshit
It's just the vaporwave a e s t h e t i c 気持ちうまい男
>>
>>49669519
If you give their breath a 5-6 recharge they'd actually be substantially better.
>>
>>49668456
Blights
>>
>>49669519
You forgot dwarves are slow
>>
>>49669556
>Nipnong Vaporwave
I stand by my assessment.
>>
>>49669199
>>49669199
>>49669199
Making it a bonus action fixes that.
>>
>>49669569
I just don't know when a lot of players would want to breathe instead of attacking or casting a spell, the damage is never really significant. 3d6 at level 6, with a save for half, and generally small AoEs?

It being a full action really hurts it. I'd expect the most use of it to come from out-of-combat utility than actually dealing damage. If it were a bonus action and you could recharge or use it like three times per rest, I could see it seriously competing for use in combat without getting out of hand. Recharge is probably better because that almost puts a cooldown on it, no spamming fire for three rounds in a row.
>>
>>49669430

Read down the text. The author makes some good recommendations for music. You can find most of it on youtube

http://www.serenadawn.com/Advice-Music.html
>>
>>49669569
I don't think so, the problem is that it's usually better to do basically any other action than use your breath.

It needs a massive damage buff or not rek your action economy.
>>
>>49669626
It's not "Japanese vaporwave", Japanese shit is part of the whole vaporwave aesthetic.

You're trying to call a fortune cookie Chinese food. It's not even fucking Chinese, it's an American invention you only find in Chinese restaurants.
>>
>>49669319
Delusion. Also,

>Wanting to bed the sane ones.
>>
>>49669400

They outsource like crazy. This Edition might as well be put out by Kobold Press
>>
>>49669657
Having dated three Mormons, let me just say
it wasn't worth it
>>
>>49669647
Thank you for this
>>
>>49669639
One half of 3d6 is still decent at early levels, and also scales great the more people you can fit in the cone.

That's an army destroyer if used right.
>>
>>49669660
To be fair they mainly waited to fire the writers until after they finished the PHB.
>>
>>49669639
>>49669650
Damage should have con damage scaling, and be d8's.
Boom.
>>
>>49669696
A level 5 Wizard is casting Burning Hands at 4d6 using a second level slot while your level 6 Dragonborn is accomplishing less with his racial feature.
>>
>>49669737
And? This doesn't use a spellslot, and can be used without verbal or somatic components by any class. Your comparison isn't relevant.
>>
>>49669317
Oh shit I didn't notice this, that means that I'm running magical realm in my game for the first time, but accidentally!
>>
>>49669799
A variant human who spends his feat on Magic Initiate for burning hands has more use to offer the group than a Dragonborn.

They're shit. SHIT.
>>
>>49665097

Tarzan character. Royal or aristocratic lineage and breeding. Lost in the wilds as a baby or young child. Raised by barbarians or nigger like creatures/beasts. His breeding still shows though and he is "found" by or "finds" his family. Still a barbarian at heart but is educated by his family. Can't fit in well in either of his worlds so he goes adventuring.
>>
File: 1471273670596.jpg (60KB, 480x750px) Image search: [Google]
1471273670596.jpg
60KB, 480x750px
>>49669635
I still think it's too cheesy.
>Monk with Mobile pushes them back more than 50 feet then flurry and shove 15 more
>Barbarian overruns forever
>Sorcerer has his allies carry the enemy army away with doubled haste
Maybe it should be restricted a bit more. Like, instead of movement, 5 x Strength or Dexterity modifier?
>>
>>49669939
Yeah, that's a lot of extra rules when anyone who knows what they're doing would just powerslide under an enemy's leg and unload a bunch of Repelling Blasts / Pushing Attacks to pop this asshole into the air before getting out of the way and letting the enemy fall 60 feet.
>>
>>49669939
This is good.
>>
File: classics.png (62KB, 657x579px) Image search: [Google]
classics.png
62KB, 657x579px
>>49667742
>>
>>49669939
Limiting it to a modifier works. Whatever your attack stat modifier is, times a multiplier. 5 is good. Thanks.
>>
>>49669939
Scratch the first one, flurry is a bonus action and I'm being retarded.
But still, boosting movement to move enemies that fast is insane, even grappling is half movement and RAW you can't 'drag' them over a cliff unless you go first.
>>
>>49670002
>no wrath of the immortals
>>
>>49670010
Raw grappling you can just shove them off the cliff.
>>
>>49670002
>no Madness at Gardmore Abbey
He asked for the best from across all editions, anon.
>>
>>49668188

"The Book of Alignment" by Todd Crapper and Ronald King really helps if you can find it About 160 pages that explains alignment that can be used to understand the alignment system in almost any D20 RPG.
>>
>Searing Smite
>Concentrate on this spell, precluding the use of Divine Favor / Bless
>deal an extra 1d6 Fire
>Con saves on future rounds to continue to do 1d6 Fire
>anyone can put this out

>alternatively, Smite a fucker on your confirmed hit to deal 2d8 Radiant, a much better damage type
what enemies are living past two rounds and failing a Con save against a Paladin's shitty DC twice in a row
>>
>>49670002
Nice list. Going to try and find these later.
>>
>>49668239

Two Adventures a year released for each new season of Adventurers League . So usually August/Sept and then March/April. You see a supplement drop within a few months of Xmas
>>
>>49665216
I don't like this meme
>>
File: 1452290772514.png (481KB, 800x753px) Image search: [Google]
1452290772514.png
481KB, 800x753px
>>49670073
>shitty DC

>implying I don't go devotion every game and max CHA first
>>
>>49665216
I'd give him disadvantage on attacks with it, give it reach and mace damage.
>>
File: maroo colour.jpg (146KB, 1024x1248px) Image search: [Google]
maroo colour.jpg
146KB, 1024x1248px
>>49661888
Either a nobody who accepted a deal with a patron because he/she seriously needed Or someone too lazy to become a wizard/druid (or wasn't gifted with innate casting like a sorceror).
>>
>>49669006
Monk with the noble background that gives you a retainer.
>>
File: 58553796.jpg (106KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
58553796.jpg
106KB, 480x360px
>>49670272
>>
>>49669006
Or the twin soul from this HB, hope it helps.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/imb1v2cpsn83s21/The%20Monk.docx?dl=0
>>
Could you fake being knocked unconscious in combat?
You'd need to ready an action to do it, right? Since you can't fall prone as a reaction or free action.
>>
>>49670425
As DM I would make you Ready a Charisma(Perform) check
>>
>>49670336
Meme reaction image in a post with no substance. Oh no, my feefee's.
>>
>>49670047
You share your list. That's what I had handy. I'll be glad to look for and expand my collection.
>>
>>49670456
I would do this, but be open to other faking methods, like an intelligence (medicine) check if you have some prep time.
>>
File: sanctuary.png (92KB, 540x401px) Image search: [Google]
sanctuary.png
92KB, 540x401px
>>49665097
I once played guy from middle class, who was introvert minding his own bussines, unless something made him angry. He wasnt easy to make angry, but when that happeden, he would stand against biggest foes and went far beyond what was reasonable to crush his enemies. His rage wasnt as much frenetic adrenaline rush, as much cold flame of vengeance. He would wait to get his revenge. But, again, he was still silent cool guy and very little would provoke him to stronger reaction or faster movement. Basically equivalent of school shooter.

Pic unrelated
>>
>>49670468
what you suggested is literally retarded and had no bearing on the question that anon was asking
>>
Isn't Continual Flame the worst spell in the PHB?

I mean, sure, having a torch that lasts forever is pretty cool and all... but it costs a 2nd level spell slot and 50gp (seriously what the fuck? were they trying to create a reason why most places won't have Continual Flame streetlights or what?), and now that you can cast Light at will (or light an actual fire with Produce Flame/Prestidigitation/Thaumaturgy/Druidcraft) it seems kind of uselss.
>>
Has anyone offered an alternative to the Theurge yet?I remember a lot of discussion on how dissatisfied you guys were with it.
>>
>>49670596
You don't have to do much to it to make it fine.
>>
>>49670572
I guess it's just so you can make a faux drift globe with a grey ioun stone
>>
>>49670627
What do you suggest? I don't always have the best eye for balance all the time.
>>
>>49670659
Specify that the spells they learn from cleric count as wizard spells.
Limit them to only the spells on the domain list they choose.
Boom.
Not broken.
Still disgustingly good.
>>
>>49667881
you're a pretty cool dude ill give you that
>>
>>49670596
It's fine but depends on the campaign and dm.
You can only learn 1 cleric domain spell per level, so it takes you 10 levels before you can pick other cleric spells willy nilly.
>>
Anyone know what magic item gets dropped in DDAL05-03? I'm trying to plan out my DM rewards for Adventurer's League.

>Bracers of Archery drop
>Crossbow champion is in the party, super excited
>all other players concede the item to him except one guy
>He's trying to voltron his tier 2 character (who stole a sun blade and then never showed up to use it)
>They go to roll off on it
>I portent the champ an 18 on his roll to get him the item
DM doesn't allow it, but he won the roll anyways
>>
I'm new to D&D and was wondering how you run a group through all the current official 5e adventures with the same characters without starting back at Lv1 each time?
>>
>>49670936
You just do it.
>>
>>49670892
>Tfw Bracers of Archery only apply to Shortbow and Longbow.
>>
>>49670506
anon asks about building a stand user, a concept involving 2 humanoids, one with special offensive capabilities.

2nd anon suggests a completely by the book build, involving 2 humanoids, one with special offensive capabilities.

You're a special kind of dumb aren't you?
>>
>>49671036
Well, it's a good thing for him that there's no real difference between a crossbow fighter and a longbow fighter at level 3
>>
Storm King's Thunder is great.

Though I was not expecting it to smack me in the Magical Realm.
>>
File: 2016-08-01_19-34-20.jpg (200KB, 1149x968px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-01_19-34-20.jpg
200KB, 1149x968px
Are adventurer's league adventures supposed to be run as sidequests of the modules or totally separated from them?
>>
>>49671272
Fire giant bedroom?
>>
>>49671284
Separate.
>>
File: maroo sketchy.jpg (20KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
maroo sketchy.jpg
20KB, 256x256px
>>49671335
And the adventures of a given season are connected to one another right?
>>
>>49671366
I think so.
I've never played AL so this is beyond my ken. I just know they're separate from the books.
>>
>>49671318
Guh
>>
>>49670961
This. Start at lvl 1 with the starter kit (Lost Mines of Phandlin, IIRC), should get you to lvl 4-5 by the time you reach Greenest, and so on. If your DM allows it, even new chars joining mid-game (either as dead char replacements or new people coming in) can be at the current/one less lvl of the other characters already in play, that way the CR is more even across games.
>>
>>49671284
They're supposed to be run when you can't run the book for whatever reason (ie people want to play a different tier)
>>
>>49663426
It depends in how you play your AT. I mainly pick from utility spells to buff my own combat prowess, so a 14 int has worked fine.
>>
How do I get a PFaggot to stop trying to munchkin his character sheet, and actually make a proper character?
>>
>>49666872
Or you can go Were-stag or something, just rework the fluff
>>
>>49668964
>there isn't anybody even remotely respectable left

I thought we were all Team Perkins
>>
>>49670118
Depending on your DM, you won't even lose out on damage thanks to your Channel Divinity that boosts damage by CHA mod.
>>
>>49671686
You tried y'know, talking to him?

Alternatively, tell him that min-maxing with 5e doesn't really work. There's no secret loophole or special combination of stats/features that allow you to break the game. Also the only effect that his min-maxing will have on the game is that the DM will throw slightly beefier monsters at you which could ultimately hurt his team more if they aren't as "optimized".
>>
Where can I find troves or something to get adventures from 3.5?
>>
>>49671559
Good taste my man
>>
Question regarding grappling and the grappled condition.

I want to throw a few vampires at my characters, they can make an attack that grapples. Do they need to make the vs check or is it an auto grapple that next turn my players can attempt to break free from?
>>
>>49672046

Attack rolls vs armor class + athletics

To break free it's an grapler athletics check vs grappled athletics or acrobatics
>>
>>49672046
The unarmed strike can autograpple, the vampire just has to forgo doing damage (specified in the statblock). And remember that attempting to escape a grapple takes an action.
>>
File: what are you talking about.jpg (84KB, 349x317px) Image search: [Google]
what are you talking about.jpg
84KB, 349x317px
>>49672081
>Attack rolls vs armor class + athletics
>>
>>49671948
pastebin.com/Xt411kaR
>>
>>49671738
(((No)))
>>
Hurry the fuck up and make a new thread!
>>
>>49672198
You want new bread, bake it yourself.
>>
>>49672095

So no checks until the following round right? They get a free grapple and can go about their business?
>>
new thread >>49672263

new thread >>49672263

new thread >>49672263
>>
>>49672251
Right. If it hits, they can forgo doing damage to grapple instead. Some creatures can grapple after doing damage anyway, like the T-Rex's bite attack.
>>
>>49671686
Tell him to stop and that you'll drop him if he doesn't. 5e is like the least conducive edition to munchkin in.
>>
>>49672159
Thanks!
>>
>>49672285
Nice, just needed clarification. A lot of my players like to complain about things like this. How its written says its this way, but knowing them, they'll argue it
>>
>>49671987
I didn't even realize she was full magical realm. I just saw her collectible mini at my game store, and picked it up. I didn't know, and am pleasantly surprised
>>
File: FelauForTG.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
FelauForTG.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49668993
Pic related is better.
>>
>>49674396
I am shamed to say that i've been spending the last two days looking for this.
>>
File: allsmiles.png (10KB, 181x167px) Image search: [Google]
allsmiles.png
10KB, 181x167px
>>49674513
Don't be ashamed, I spent a bit of time working on it, and I'm actually happy that you're either planning on using it or saving it. Either way, thanks, anon. I needed that.
>>
>>49674528
>Homebrew campaign with Cat people filling in the role as the Carthage to human's Rome.

This will end in hilarity or disaster, still i appreciate the effort you put into this anon.
>>
>>49674555
It'll probably be a hilarious disaster worthy of future greentext threads. Enjoy!
Thread posts: 336
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.