[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 363
Thread images: 42

File: NerdAndSavior.jpg (58KB, 500x270px) Image search: [Google]
NerdAndSavior.jpg
58KB, 500x270px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous session >>49624319

Tell us about "That" guy/girl/DM and your group handled them.
>>
>>49639781
>mfw he left because of a schedule conflict
>>
We had a player who constantly engaged in social party-PvP so we eventually killed his character and he left the group.
>>
>>49639821
As a DM, fuck that guy. I spend weeks trying to find a schedule that fits everybody, and after committing, this fucker suddenly can't make it?
>>
>>49639781
We didn't handle her. She's still there. And she still insists on playing spellcasters without ever reading her spells.

In the game I DM there isn't really a that guy. But one player has gotten a little grief for forgetting his sentinel feat right after he took it. But he learned.
>>
Re-posting Question.

If your familiar is invisible, such as a sprite or imp, and you cast a touch spell through it. Does the familiar become visible?
Likewise, if you're invisible, and your familiar is not. Does casting a touch spell through your familiar cause you to become visible?
If you're both invisible would a touch spell reveal both of you?
>>
File: minimum wage dragonslayer.jpg (85KB, 840x623px) Image search: [Google]
minimum wage dragonslayer.jpg
85KB, 840x623px
>>49639781
Why hello there. I'm a noob looking for a pretty standard DnD game.
>>49638704

Anyone out there that would want a new player?
>>
>>49639900
You're posting in an international board with a few dozen people. You'd have better luck in roll20 or /r/lfg.
>>
Moving my question to this one.

Since there seems to be a consensus that martials are missing something in this edition, what is the best fix for them that you've seen?
>>
>>49639781
He left because a common friend he had with a female friend commited suicide, and he felt the suicide was partially motivated by current femplayer boyfriend was too harsh on him. In the end, That Guy decided that we were too shitty and left.

It was a very difficult situation. to be honest. I was quite new to a very consolidated group of friends, so I'd seen suicidal guy just a couple of times before he chose to die. That Guy was a good dude, though, but way too high strung IMHO. Femplayer and boyfriend weren't really sharp while dealing with it, but Femplayer's sister had also offed herself not long before, so I can understand her. Super rough year for them.

So, we didn't handle it. The game froze for six months or so, though. We'll be playing this weekend.
>>
>>49639900

Like already stated look on roll20 or reddit's /r/lfg. Also look at the right sidebar of /r/lfg and use the additional resources there. Also check Warhorn for games in your area, that the site my game store uses to schedule and organize games. Also use the Wizards of the Coast Store Locater to find games or stores where you could find games,
>>
>>49639951
Please don't move the question here. There is no consensus. The ones who think martials are missing something just shitpost more loudly. Many of us have no problem with them.
>>
>>49639951
Decrease the number of spells casters can use per day.

The balance is more or less perfect for the recommended 6 encounters per rest, its just impossible for a DM to consistently write events where that happens.
>>
>>49639984
>>49639951
Yup, Martials are fine. Next question.
>>
>>49639951
As a DM I pay special attention to when players aren't performing as well as their peers, whether this is due to their own mistakes, dice rolls, or lacking the tools (magical or not) to really shine.

Then I tailor things for them to be good at. Give them downtime events that I know that player will enjoy, etc.
>>
>>49640004
>Next question.
Would Pact of the Blade actually be worth it if Thirsting Blade let Green-Flame Blade or Booming Blade hit twice?
>>
>>49640008
This applies to martials and casters alike, by the way.
>>
>>49639999
I've considered this, and it would balance things. I think it would also make combat more boring.

I generally prefer giving martial players more combat and non combat options. Folding the battlemaster features into every class except champion fighters would be a good start.
>>
>>49640033
Anon, you already know how futile it will be to argue that balance is subjective between groups because of differences in player ability and DM style.

Even if you're right.
>>
>>49639999
I think the right "fix" (which I intend to implement) regarding the number of encounters is to use the "realistic" resting rules (8-hour short rest, 1-week long rest). This should guarantee caster resources start to run out if the party doesn't get back to town, but thanks to attack cantrips they'll still be able to fight.

>>49640028
If by "worth it" you mean "completely overpowered and also requiring an explicit relationship between unrelated class features," then yes.
>>
>>49640028
Pact of the Blade suffers from the fact that you're a d8 hit dice class that wants to melee using only mage Armor for ac. You're survivability is ass and you're heavily restricted in your Invocations, basically requiring two just to deal acceptable damage.
>>
>>49640028
Ok, this is just bait.
>>
>>49640028
No, it's fine as is.
>>
>>49640049
>If by "worth it" you mean "completely overpowered and also requiring an explicit relationship between unrelated class features," then yes.

I figure just let it be an improvement on Thirsting Blade at a higher level so it's not low-hanging fruit to multiclass. If it's an auto improvement at level 11, what needs to be accounted for?

>>49640074
Yeah, may as well let them hit really hard to make up for being glass cannons.
>>
>>49640028
A better solution is to give them Charisma to attack and damage as a base, and a way to boost damage like rogues rangers and paladins. Maybe let them have Fighter extra attacks.
>>
>>49640048
I know. But I can try damn it.
>>
>>49640074
In a way, pact of the blade perfectly exemplifies the problems with martials: to be good or interesting, they have to pay a great/invocation tax.
>>
>>49640074
d8 is only 1 hp/level lower than d10. The problem is that bladelocks can't afford to pump their CON if they want a respectable AC, and vice-versa.

Basically, MADder than a hatter.

>>49640092
The problem is that GFB/BB scale like other cantrips, and doubling their damage raises DPS extremely high. Glass cannons are okay in general, but this would be like a crystal nuke.
>>
>>49639951
THE
GAME
IS
FINE
>>
>>49640143
>The problem is that GFB/BB scale like other cantrips, and doubling their damage raises DPS extremely high. Glass cannons are okay in general, but this would be like a crystal nuke.

It would at least be different than just a different flavor of gish.
>>
>>49640092
The doing 4d8+weapon dice minimum damage is the issue along with fucking with cantrip selection. The best fix i'very seen so far is letting them have +cha to AC while in light armor, but this just makes them a blade singer
>>
>>49640145
It's playable, and slightly better than previous editions. But in order to maintain that incremental growth for 5e, the problems have to be aired.

5e combat is fundamentally boring.
Martials are slightly weaker than casters.
>>
>>49640131
>Charisma to attack and damage
Please no. It was silly when 4e did it and it's silly now. Ability score usage should make sense, and charisma making your weapon attacks more potent doesn't.

>>49640161
I get where you're coming from, but that level of risk/reward wouldn't work well within the game's context. Glass cannons work because they have a support structure (healers, etc.) and don't unbalance the game by removing targets instantly. Your proposal would either die in 1 turn or turn a climactic battle into a disappointing one.

>>49640145
In general it is. There are a few problems (the 2-3 builds that suck) but everybody (including the game designers) acknowledged them long ago. Still arguing about martials is stupid.
>>
Hey does anyone have that comprehensive pdf that lists all the character options?
>>
>>49640161
Here's the thing, Sorcerers can do the same damage for a few sorcery points whide also having other goodies.
>>
File: tumblr_o1uqn1XyVd1sy6cqlo2_500.gif (1MB, 448x251px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1uqn1XyVd1sy6cqlo2_500.gif
1MB, 448x251px
>>49639781
>Player invites his friend "That Guy" to play with us
>He seems decent enough at first
>Furry as heck but we're a pretty chill bunch
>Insists on playing a furry gunslinger character
>In Greyhawk
>GM has to make a whole race and class just for this guy
>Brooding outcast with a persecution complex
>So is his character
>Constantly picks fights with the female player in our group
>Complains if we don't do exactly what his character wants
>Asks repeatedly for a gay romance sub-plot (never happens)
>Whines if his character isn't doing the most damage because "guns should be better than swords"
>GM repeatedly tells him to shape up and play nice
>That Guy agrees but never changes his behaviour in any way
>This continues for a little over a year
>A goddamn year
>Weekly game comes around
>That Guy rage-quits an hour in because we didn't approve of one of his insane plans
>Female player tells me she's thinking of leaving since That Guy is such a pain to deal with
>Start thinking about how to mend bridges so everyone can get along
>Realize that I'm the only one advocating for That Guy anymore
>Convene everyone but That Guy to talk about how we feel about him
>Turns out nobody enjoys playing with him
>Not even his friend before he joined the group
>Unanimous decision to ask him to leave
>His friend breaks the news that night
>That Guy sends everyone hateful messages then blocks us
>Start new campaign, everyone's having fun again
>mfw

Everything went better than expected.
>>
>>49640202
1. Check the mega
2. Check the pastebin
3. Ask here, and specify that you didn't find them there, or risk being told to do steps 1 and 2 again.
>>
>>49640182
Martials and casters *serve different roles* in 5e. The game is not PvP. It's PiW.
>>
>>49640202
You can get it off DMs Guild.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/175121/Dungeons--Dragons-5e-Directory?sorttest=true
>>
>>49640074
Bladelock is fine
>>
>>49640202
>character options
Got you.
>>
>>49640210
Yeah I'm aware which is why I don't think it's as overpowered as others do if it comes online at the right level.

Blade needs to beat out Eldritch Blast and Hex to be worth it, so compare:

>Eldritch Blast + Hex
3(d10+d6+Cha) = 27+3xCha

>GFB + Hex with greatsword, first target
2(2d6+Str+d6+2d8) = 38+2xStr+2xCha

So that's 11 damage gained before accounting for strength and charisma. You went into melee combat to gain that. Doesn't seem too ridiculously overpowered.
>>
>>49640269
Bladelock sucks, don't play one or I and others will mock you. If you don't mind being mocked, then do as you will - you have already lost.
>>
>>49640182
>5e combat is fundamentally boring.
I've always found the solution is to give more monsters legendary actions, let them interact more with the environment, sort of like lair actions. But just balance them so you don't destroy the party.

But by design, most monsters are pretty boring, yeah. I don't follow this PDF to the letter, but the idea is mostly solid.

For other types of enemies, like giants, I always set them up like multi-tiered HP monsters. Take out the legs, take out the arms, take out the heads, etc.

As for martials, they're fine damn it. Just requires more effort on the player's part to be interesting and creative. Be more social, try to do some crafting, buy lots of rope, etc.
>>
>>49640282
Comparisons for level 11 when I thought the feature would be reasonable to become available.
>>
>>49640282
>Blade needs to beat out Eldritch Blast and Hex to be worth it
Except Eldritch Blast + Hex is literally the gold standard for sustained damage. Going beyond it without expending resources should literally not be possible, melee or otherwise.

>>49640276
At this point I would've been disappointed if it wasn't the catgirl pdf.
>>
>>49640262
And? Casters are useful in many more situations than martials. Right now the role martials serve is both the most boring aspect of the game, and only one third of it, going by dmg recommendations.
>>
>>49640288
I have played them and it has worked out

I sometimes take 1 level of fighter and then it REALLY works out
>>
How do I multiclass without rendering myself completely useless? It seems like in all but a few specific instances you're falling behind by doing so.
>>
>>49640324
Hammers have more general utility than socket wrenches. When you need both to accomplish the job it's pretty irrelevant that the hammer can be used for more.

>>49640336
It's worse than any other melee option.
>>
Guys. I have a novel idea.

What if. Holy shit. What IF you play a class that fits the character you want to play and roll with the mechanics behind it.

What if you don't worry about being competitive in a game that isn't PvP.
>>
Any recommendations/tips/advice for someone trying to get into dming and pretty new to dnd in general?
>>
>>49640320
Sustained damage isn't all it's cracked up to be when combats last about 3 rounds. Maybe 4 to 5 if really hard.

Sharpshooter and Great Weapon Master come with a trade off and beat out Eldritch Blast + Hex. A double-hit melee cantrip's tradeoff is going into melee combat on a d8 HD class with light armor and no evasive maneuvers.
>>
>>49640360
Ask your group to run an adventure/campaign where everybody multiclasses. In my games, everyone multiclasses or no one does. I think its more fun and no one feels gimped.
>>
>>49640370
What if you have thin skin and bitch and whine when people mock you when you do stupid things?
Can you tell us how you cope?
>>
>>49640367
>It's worse than any other melee option.
But they're not just a melee class.
>>
>>49640404
Yeah - they're better at casting.
And are better out of melee even if you're a bladelock.

Solution: pick a pact that actually gives you a strength.
>>
>>49640360
Either do it really quickly or with the perfect multiclass. If you are gonna take rogue 1 while you are a ranger you better take before ranger 3. That will keep your damage on par with eveyone and you don't get the amazing stuff you need just yet.

On the other hand a perfect multi class into fighter as long as you are doing melee damage is good, grab a new fighting style which is good at any time. A monk with dueling isn't bad at all.
>>
>>49640370
Because when some classes are clearly superior to others in damage or utility, you end up with a situation where one group either accepts they'll be overshadowed the entire time or other other group has to pull their punches to make it fair for everyone.

Which isn't inherently BAD if your players are alright with it. Not everyone can be a knight; you need squires too. However, it's still bad game design because the developers often act like it's balanced when it clearly isn't.
>>
>>49640403
I just don't act like a faggot, so that's how I cope.

If you actually play with people that make fun of you tell them to fuck off and stop or don't play with them.

Unless you're trying to say I'm bitching and whining right now? I'm not. I'm doing the opposite and saying, don't worry that the wizard is being a wizard. Don't worry that the fighter is better at fighting. If you're a warlock whose patron bestowed upon him the power to summon a magic weapon, then be that fucking warlock dude.
>>
>>49640182

I really can't imagine that analyzing the combat mechanics and tweaking them is going to fix boring D&D combat.

I mean, the thrill of "real combat" is some combination of 1) high stakes, 2) off-the-cuff decision-making, 3) competing strategies and 4) definitive results

When the game's combat can only really consist of 1) "where I position my character" and 2) "do rolls go in my favor" to get those definitive results, you can't imagine any drawn out fight will be any fun. And in this edition the way they've accomplished the admittedly admirable goal of keeping monsters dangerous all the way through the game is by swelling their HP at higher CRs but keeping everything else low.

That's fine, but as a DM you have to add your personal spice into the mix or else you're going to get a bland experience. You have to embrace "rule of cool" and theatrical play over bare-bones rules.

Don't we all sort of know this already? Does anyone actually play through an entire campaign and never allow for combat cinema to overtake the rules?
>>
>>49640447
>tell them to fuck
Whoa bro what's wrong with you? We're just kidding. Why are you so hostile?
>>
How is the Fifth Edition Options: Optional Rules and Mechanics?
>>
>>49640367
Your tool analogy isn't applicable. The goal of dming isn't too select the best player for every job, it is to ensure every player gets an equal amount of focus, because that tends to result in the most fun. If one player is a hammer and one player is a tube designed to be inserted up people's asses so you can example a colon, that presents a serious have balance and campaign design problem for the DMS.
>>
>>49640443
So don't pick that class if you're so worried about it?
But honestly, it falls on the DM. Because ultimately you cannot balance all classes in all situations for all player types and all character concepts. The idea is absurd.

Warlocks for instance excel in RP potential. Fighters are good at fighting. Wizards are good at casting spells. Holy fucking shit woah.
>>
>>49640477
It is applicable - you as players are trying to do things in the DMs world. You need both a hammer and a socket wrench to actually do the job. If you lack one you're going to have a way way harder time unless your client (the DM) gives you an easier job that doesn't need both tools.
Sorry bruh =/
>>
>>49640473
Oh that must have been the thin skin you were talking about. I get it now.

But if that's the response you anticipate don't do it in a way that makes you look like a sperg. Are the things your doing really stupid? Why don't you stop doing stupid things? If you can't help it, laugh along like a normal person. Or start giving them the same shit when they fuck up. It isn't hard unless you're autistic. If you are, that's fine. But then the people you play with should probably be aware of it.
>>
File: officeface.png (109KB, 223x222px) Image search: [Google]
officeface.png
109KB, 223x222px
>>49640231
>playing with gays.

"No im sure that will work ou-- oh no it didnt."
>>
>>49640519
Woah just calm down man. You don't need to tell anyone to fuck off just for having fun. Are you okay man? Everything goin' alright in your life?
>>
>>49640533
I actually love you anon. Come here so I can kiss you gingerly on the lips.
>>
>>49640515
Nah, that analogy still isn't applicable, and I think you're being deliberately stupid at this point. But even if it was, the problem lies in the fact that martial classes are only equipped with socket wrenches, while casters have the whole toolbelt.

If you want your analogy to work, your basically arguing my point: martials have no options, casters have all the options.
>>
>>49640360
Not sure what you mean. 5e is very multiclass-friendly, as long as you don't pick classes that require different ability scores (and remember to hit your ability score increases).
>>
File: magic sword.jpg (166KB, 479x1075px) Image search: [Google]
magic sword.jpg
166KB, 479x1075px
Re: bladelocks, I was thinking it would be cool if their swords weren't just aesthetically tied to their patrons, but also mechanically.

For example, if your patron was the Prince of Frost, you could buff their pact weapon so that the PC could choose to deal cold damage on hit, and/or that a successful hit could slow the target. Something like that that would make whatever they're using really feel like a magical weapon, instead of just counting as a magical weapon for the purposes of damage. You could refluff the weapon differently depending on the character, the same way you can make custom backgrounds. A GOO Warlock could have a whip with a chance to stun or frighten, maybe. I don't think either of those examples would be broken.

I proposed this to my own bladelock player, and he wasn't interested, but I'm curious to know what /5eg/ thinks about the idea.
>>
File: faggit.gif (129KB, 208x198px) Image search: [Google]
faggit.gif
129KB, 208x198px
>>49640549
Torm doesn't approve mane.
>>
>>49640562
Keep saying that senpai. Maybe if you say it enough it will magically become true.
>>
>>49640521
> All gay people are powergaming furries
Hey look, >>>/pol/ is right over there.
>>
>>49640198
>Please no. It was silly when 4e did it and it's silly now. Ability score usage should make sense, and charisma making your weapon attacks more potent doesn't.
Sure it does if you are using your magical power to guide your blade, something that makes sense for the class feature. If you're going full autist say the patron is literally partially possessing the character to give them supernatural ability. GOO makes your movement seem impossible, fey makes limbs blur and leap in time, fiend is just raw devil power, undying the spirit of a great warrior, etc.
>>
>>49640571
woah man it's like the current year. why do you hate love? love is fun. I just wanna have fun with you.
>>
>>49640263
Thanks.
>>
Magical +1 Longsword, let's you cast Tasha's Hideous Laughter once a day. Does this sound balanced for a level 5-6 party? Was thinking of ideas for a sword they're probably gonna get from a Harlequin.
>>
File: Torm.jpg (23KB, 300x389px) Image search: [Google]
Torm.jpg
23KB, 300x389px
>>49640624
Torm will smite thee for thine faggotry.
Speak not to me - it is the gods you'll answer to, qeerbaggio.
>>
>>49640581
If you're just gonna categorically debt everything without backing things up, you aren't worth anyone's time to respond to.
>>
>>49640570
Meh. It's okay.
Not all patrons have a strong elemental theme though. I always felt like the +cha was essentially this and it was accomplished by making it an invocation.

If you're really worried about it, just have their patron bestow upon them another weapon or magic hilt or some shit which they can choose to attune to and have it become their pact weapon.
>>
>>49640521
>>49640626
>>49640644
>on 4chan
>not gay
What are you, gay?
>>
>>49640648
nah dude torm told be it was chill, right after he came inside me
>>
>>49640626
Nothing against /pol/, as long as it stays in /pol/. I frankly don't care how you feel about "the gays," I just don't want my thread derailed by pointless political shitposting.

>>49640626
>>49640644
>muh lol reddit, 4chan is tru internet meme
>implying half the people on this thread don't also use reddit

>>49640688
With how much /pol/ likes to say 4chan is about rejecting norms, they certainly suck a surprisingly low amount of cocks.
>>
Do you subtract from your AC if you have a negative dexterity modifier if you aren't wearing heavy armor?
This is the first time anyone in our group had seen it happen, and didn't know what to do.
>>
>>49640666
I feel totally obligated to respond to the intellectual equivalent of "nuh-uh". Yep.
Have fun bro!
>>
>>49640198
4e did a lot of things right. That wasn't one of them, but I'd love to see some 4e combat design and class design creep back into 6e, after the nightmare that is 5e combat.
>>
File: buster.png (490KB, 856x439px) Image search: [Google]
buster.png
490KB, 856x439px
>>49640703
>>
>>49640720

So 6E will be out around 2022. Enjoy the wait
>>
>>49640708
>using leddit
Because being banned for banter is so much fun.
Don't you have a le to upboat?
>>
>>49640720
5e actually took a lot of cues from 4e, like binary skill proficiency and uniform attack progression. It's just that the power system really slowed down play in a game where combat already takes a while.

I personally have no problem with 5e combat. It's no more boring than 2e or 3e, especially with creative encounter and battlefield design.
>>
>>49640521
>>49640597
>>49640626
>>49640644
>>49640688
>>49640703
>>49640708
>>49640716
>>49640732
>>49640742
>>49640750
>>>/outside/
>>
>>49640716
Your the only one saying it. I actually back up my counter points.
>>
Generally curious. Are most the people complaining about martials/casters, 5e combat, etc. players or DMs themselves? Or do you not actually play the game in any way?
>>
File: 1454695841126.jpg (113KB, 397x609px) Image search: [Google]
1454695841126.jpg
113KB, 397x609px
>>49640487
You do realize you just went:
>>49640370 (You) Why do people care about class balance! Play a class that fits your character concept and roll with the mechanics.
>>49640443 People care because nobody likes getting overshadowed or feeling inferior.
>>49640487 (You) Then don't pick that class.

People want game mechanics that put their character concept on equal footing with every other player. Nobody wants to feel like a side-kick just because their stat/race/class/feat choices didn't give them as much power or influence as somebody else. If they WANT to play a side-kick, that fine - make a character at a lower level to represent that. Nobody should feel like they're forced into the role of mediocrity just because they decided to be a sword-guy instead of a spell-guy.

Class imbalance is harmful to the game world as well, in my opinion. Why would anyone want to be a sword-guy if spell-guys are better AND cooler. I mean, they get to throw spells around, heal people or burn them with your mind, that's pretty rad. If learning to be a spell-guy is something generally available, why aren't most adventurers spell-guys? If learning spells is restricted (you need a teacher, university, bloodline, or other rare source) doesn't that make spell-guys privileged in the first place? Whey you look at 5E, where spell-guys don't have any crazy risks or drawbacks for their craft, it seems crazy NOT to be one. At least in some games magic drives you crazy, or can accidentally summon demons or tear reality in half, making it a serious risk/reward, but in 5E it's just reward.

I'm all for casters being badasses and doing crazy awesome things with magic at high levels, but come on, you gotta give the non-casters something to work with. If I level up and gets the ability to travel to other planes of existence, and my team-mate only gets a couple more hit points, that seems pretty unfair to me. If I can disintegrate people, he should be able to suplex monsters into chunky salsa.
>>
File: questionmark girl2.jpg (20KB, 377x331px) Image search: [Google]
questionmark girl2.jpg
20KB, 377x331px
>>49640763
Yeah? Like where m8?
>>
>so how long you guys wanna rest?
>after 10 minutes of arguing we decide on a long rest
>everyone pretends there's a fade to black and everyone "wakes up"

Very videogamey. How do you guys handle rests?
>>
>>49640635
Have two identical swords he carries (and juggles) as well. One lets you cast prestidigitation, the other just makes a fart noise.
>>
>>49640766
Most of them are shitposters
>>
>>49640748
Right. My problem is giving martials useful options beyond standing in place and attacking wouldn't slow down combat more than casters already do.
>>
I'm playing a tempest cleric and I'm thinking of picking magic initiate at lvl 4 in order to get booming blade.

Will I regret not increasing my WIS to 18?
What second cantrip would be nice to take?
What spell would be nice?

Because my CHA and INT are shit, anything with a saving throw or attack roll is out of the question. I thought getting friends would be nice and fitting for my character, because CHA is my dump stat, but I can kinda cover the same thing already with guidance.
I'm also thinking about absorb elements for the spell.
>>
>>49640790
The battlemaster was basically invented for you, then. As well as all the UA archetypes that copy its system.
>>
>>49640766
I complain about it from a dm perspective. 5e combat is a lot more work to make interesting and fun than 4e combat. Part of this is due to martials not having good combat options.

Out of combat, I have to babysit the martial players a lot more, and make sure casters can't steal their thunder. Once you get to high levels, I have to throw any hope of that out the window.

All in all, players picking martial casters this edition causes me more of a headache on all aspects of the game.
>>
>>49640819
See >>49640038
>>
File: 1450166051669.jpg (80KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
1450166051669.jpg
80KB, 360x480px
>Party of 3
>Big weapon meathead, Nu Ranger, and Me
I want to play a full caster, but should I go bard or wizard? Bard gets me all of the healing and restoration spells to keep everyone well oiled, and the chance at either more skills and a couple vital spells with lore or joining the front ranks as valor, but wizard offers such a wide range of literally everything besides healing and restoration.
>>
>>49640803
Clerics thankfully don't need to pick spells with saves as they have a ton of utility. You won't feel it as well as other caster's might since you smack stuff with a weapon most of the time but just remember it can get annoying. Your second cantrip should be Thaumaturgy or prestigitation.
>>
>>49640865
Bard or life-domain theurge imo.
>>
>>49640865
Flip a coin, heads bars tails wizard. They are equally strong with bars very slightly ahead in my opinion.
>>
>>49639781
On a local RPG meet-up I signed up last week for a game that plays today, over the week I discussed with the DM what I'd be playing and I have my character set up and ready to go.

Then about an hour and a half ago he springs the following on me via the meet-up, "The way I do stats is you roll 7, keep 6. With the option of me doing the same..and you keeping my roll. But My roll is a blind. Only I add the DM bonus to the lowest roll. Figure it gives a chance to add uniqueness to it all."

My Spider-Sense says "Bail now and never look back." Random rolling just adds randomness, not uniqueness. Creative people make creative characters, an uncreative person with a random character is still uncreative.
>>
>>49640773
No, I said specifically don't pick that class if YOU are so worried about it from a perceived mechanical imbalance. Because ULTIMATELY it falls to the DM and player ability.

The damage martials do is on par with casters and at will. They can jump up next to big monsters and not die immediately. And dice rolls nigga.

What do you want outside of combat prowess? Martials to be able to do magic things that aren't magic? Like I said, bring rope.

It's harmful to the game world? Why? Players are always the protags. If you want magic to still be limited, it can be. Your player that is a caster is just one of the only casters. It makes perfect sense in that case that a caster would be one of the saviors of the world.

What problem is so great that you can't fix it if you're worth even half your salt as a DM?
>>
>>49640837
How does 4e handle verticality of the battlefield?
>>
>>49640880
already got thaumaturgy. Also stuff like thunderwave, shatter, call lightning all have saving throws for half damage.
>>
File: My goal.jpg (18KB, 388x392px) Image search: [Google]
My goal.jpg
18KB, 388x392px
>tfw you realize that Spoony was right about 5e
>>
>>49640942
Yeah that book smells pretty bad.
>>
>>49639999
Its recomended for 4.Trust me i have played a wizard for 7 lvls and 4 combats makes me run out juice. I have played curse of stradh with this charactwe btw.
>>
>>49640929
With many martial options to take advantage of verticality.
>>
>>49640803
Personally the only feat I would take before getting to 20 Wis is Warcaster, as a Tempest cleric you're going to be wanting to use your domain spells for area effect damage a lot and they have saves on them.
>>
>>49640766
I've played in and run a few 5E campaigns. Nobody really seemed to enjoy the system. The martial characters felt like they could do any cool, creative stuff because it relied mostly on GM Fiat. I played a Wild Magic Sorcerer in one game and was frankly embarrassed at how powerful I was compared to everyone else. When I GMed the game I was really annoyed at how many monsters had multi-attack, they made combat take even longer without really adding much. The best things I can say about it are that Advantage and Disadvantage are awesome, Backgrounds are neat, and I like the addition of the Short Rest as recovery mechanic. I honestly wish that casters worked more like the Warlock, fewer spells on a Short Rest to prevent them from hoarding power until a boss encounter OR going Nova too early in an adventure.

I'd rate the system a solid 7/10. The core of the system is less broken than 3E but I'm disappointed at how they decided to handle martial classes. Giving all of them superiority dice would be a great step towards making them feel as versatile in combat. Out of combat, some really useful exploration and social passives would be cool. At high levels martials need to feel like they're demigods who make the earth quake as they walk, not just average warriors with extra hit points and more attacks per round.

Also, I'm >>49640231 and would like to say that we didn't kick That Guy because he was a gay furry. We kicked him because he was an asshole who didn't play nice.
>>
>>49640909
I added back in the dice rolls as an afterthought and placed it in the wrong spot because fuck me.
It was supposed to be after the first sentence.
>>
>>49640942
Who is Spoony?? Please explain. Thanks
>>
>>49640597
Ooh, look at you sayin i have to be political to be anti gay. I'd prefer /sci/.

Since you ask, i wasnt criticising the powergaming, or the furries but the thing that led to both of those. A tenuous grasp of social laws.

But by all means, keep making the same mistake. I'll keep laughing.
>>
Would it be a bad idea to playa Variant Human Wizard and take the magic initiate for some extra cantrips and a spell from a different class's spell list?
>>
Is there any video game that has classes similar to 5e's Warlock?
Been trying to get into Neverwinter 2 but holy hell this game has not aged well.
>>
>>49639781
Best way to make Battlerager competitive?

I'm not talking best in class, just able to keep up with other martials throughout the game. I talked to the dm and he said I might be able to get the spiked armor upgraded to +1,+2, and then to magical damage as the game progresses so that it isn't made completely moot at high levels. It'd of course cost a HEFTY fee and probably require some rare components/know-how.
>>
>>49641014
>competitive
there's that word again
>>
>>49640974
Some youtube faggot that gets spammed every so often. He hates 5e and complained his book smelled funny.
>>
>>49641001
Nope just be careful cause the class's you take from keeps the DC. Produce Flame would use Wisdom as Eldritch Blast requires Charisma
>>
>>49641035
Right. My character has a decent Charisma, and both Bard and Warlock would work well with him so I'm just trying to decide between those two.
>>
>>49640951
Like what?
>>
>>49641021
Read the post senpai.

I'm not trying to min max, I just don't want to be a detriment to the party at high levels because my 1d4 bonus attack that my class is built around does half or no damage to everything. There's absolutely nothing wrong with trying to put classes on relatively equal terms. I just want to be playing the same game as everyone else, not burning everything down solo.
>>
>>49640909
>What problem is so great that you can't fix it if you're worth even half your salt as a DM?
If I buy a bucket and it's filled with holes, that's a shitty bucket. Just because I can patch those holes doesn't make it a good bucket.
>>
Is there any reason a wizard shouldn't grab magic initiate to get eldritch blast?
>>
>>49641026

Holy shit!! That dude has fucking crazy eyes. He looks likes he's talking at a group therapy session in a psych ward.
>>
>>49640850
I don't think that's necessary. The battlemaster has a unique identity. Some players don't find those abilities necessary. For example, I enjoy the rogue playstyle of always trying to position for a sneak attack. But those that want the moves can take one of the 4 or 5 character options that have them.
>>
>>49641095
It's not any stronger than firebolt.
>>
>Not making your characters roll their race on the Reincarnation table at character creation

It's like you WANT a party of Tieflings, Dragonborn and Goliaths
>>
>>49639951
5E's balance is really group dependant, in a group like mine where we only do like 1-2 fights per long rest, casters unsurprisingly shine due to unlimited resources.

If you do a bunch of encounters, I guess they'd shine less though cantrips are pretty strong in this edition, so eh.
>>
>>49640955
Nobody except that one asshole thought you kicked him out for being a gay furry. Most people on this board truly don't give a shit and don't ascribe maliciousness where other reasons make more sense.
>>
>>49641095
His charisma isn't as high as his intelligence?
It's exactly the same as Firebolt?
He doesn't get access to any of the warlock synergies for Eldritch Blast which are what actually make it good?
>>
>>49640978
...so you're saying that scientifically, being gay made the person be a powergaming furry?

>I'll keep laughing
>>
>>49640269
They're one of the worst options in the game, but I guess something has to be.
>>
>>49641136
My parties end up pretty much only being all humans in my group.

Also not letting people pic their race is shitty.
>>
>>49641088
>I can't answer the questions
>>
>>49640370
It's amazing how much superiority a comment can have while being so stupid.
>>
>>49641126
Force damage is just better than fire damage, senpai.
>>
>>49641077
>Read the post senpai.
desu I was just shitposting, you're fine

I say yeah, do the armor thing. Your DM should jump at the chance to turn that into possible quests/side quests for your character and the group.
>>
File: 1472927026024.gif (723KB, 383x222px) Image search: [Google]
1472927026024.gif
723KB, 383x222px
>The cleave-n-smite white bread homeboy paladin dies, body is nearly completely destroyed
>Druid Reincarnates him
>Rolls back as a female drow
>>
>>49641136
>Tieflings
>Dragonborns
>Goliaths
Its like you have no concept that Variant Human or Half Elves exist.
>>
>>49641111
>He looks likes he's talking at a group therapy session in a psych ward.

Hey man, I've taken group therapy sessions in a psych ward before and Spoony looks way crazier than most people I met there.
>>
>>49641269
K-kinky <3
>>
>>49641277
>Why would you pick a Mary Sue character when you can min-max instead?
You're no better than they are.
>>
Tg, I need help

My best friend DM has a new guy coming over who wants to play a "darth maul" character. He has very little experience and asked me to see if I can build him a level 2~3 one for him, so that he doesn't have to homebrew.

I know, I know, the correct answer is "get him out", but its like, this friend, who is more of a "work friend", and I owe the DM big time, so how do I do this?

Oath Breaker dex paladin? Fiend Blade Warlock?
>>
File: donoharmtakenoshit.jpg (9KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
donoharmtakenoshit.jpg
9KB, 500x281px
>>49641177
I said that a "A tenuous grasp of social laws." led to both of those. It also led to gayness.

You cannot see how someone who wishes to invent their own sexuality is not a powergamer?
>>
>>49641444

How do I even get the weapon right? I mean, double swords arent a thing anymore, but long staves give me the feel they are not going to cut the mustard
>>
>>49641444
Probably a monk using a quarterstaff. Alternately, an Order of the Immortal Mystic, if your DM allows it.

>>49641446
(you)
>>
File: 484.jpg (66KB, 617x450px) Image search: [Google]
484.jpg
66KB, 617x450px
How do you like finding names for NPCs or PCs?
>>
>>49640955
>I honestly wish that casters worked more like the Warlock, fewer spells on a Short Rest to prevent them from hoarding power until a boss encounter OR going Nova too early in an adventure.

A big part of playing a caster is learning to portion out your spells in a reasonable manner. That means both not completely blowing your load early on and having nothing left in reserve for any big boss encounter type deal, but also not hanging back and just pinging everything with cantrips the entire session until the last encounter. Unfortunately I find that cantrips teach a lot of players bad habits about using their spells, and they tend to hoard way way too much because an encounter isn't "worth" using a spell.
>>
>>49641489
Random name generators until I find something useable or mishmash a few names together.
>>
>>49640570
I definitely agree that Patrons should affect more stuff that warlocks do.
>>
>>49639852
Dude, just use doodle. It will save you so much work.
>>
>>49641220
I didn't think they were worth responding to, but if you insist...

>No, I said specifically don't pick that class if YOU are so worried about it from a perceived mechanical imbalance. Because ULTIMATELY it falls to the DM and player ability.
So you want me to pick a class that fits my backstory and not care about its mechanical imbalance, but you also want me to not pick a class if I think it's mechanically imbalanced. Gotcha.

>The damage martials do is on par with casters and at will.
Not according to the games I've played in or run, many of the stories I have heard, or the numbers I've seen crunched. I'd send links but I doubt you'd be interested.

>What do you want outside of combat prowess? Martials to be able to do magic things that aren't magic? Like I said, bring rope.
I really don't think that any amount of rope is going to be as useful as being able to teleport across continents instantly, travel to other planes of existence, or turn into a giant dragon. To make matters worse, Martials live and die by GM Fiat. Casters are strong because their spells have explicit effects. There are 89 pages in the PHB covering spells and how to cast them. If there were 89 pages on martial techniques and maneuvers I things would be a lot better. Instead we have the one-page Battlemaster.

>It's harmful to the game world? Why? Players are always the protags. If you want magic to still be limited, it can be. Your player that is a caster is just one of the only casters. It makes perfect sense in that case that a caster would be one of the saviors of the world.
So the way to avoid feeling like the martials are side-kicks is to make the caster a super rare figure using powers only a handful in the entire world can control? Okay then.

If you have a serious counter-argument that's not "You're playing / GMing the game wrong", I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, I think this discussion is over, and I'd rather not clog up the thread any more.
>>
>>49641487
>a monk using a quarterstaff.

I brought it up, but no. He does not trust that guy to manage a monk decently.

>Alternately, an Order of the Immortal Mystic, if your DM allows it.

He'd probably allow it if I had any idea what that is
>>
>>49641387
whats not a min-maxed or mary sue character then?
>>
>>49640784
Where are you resting?
>>
>>49641597
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/Psionics_and_Mystic_V2.pdf
The mystic is the experimental psionic class currently worked on by Wizards. One of the archetypes is a warrior who goes into melee and hits things with weapons while using psionics to do stuff like move really fast, jump high, strike harder. You know, Jedi shit.
Although if the DM doesn't trust the guy to play a level 2 monk, I don't think he'll allow the mystic either.
Then again, if he can't be trusted with a level 2 monk, champion fighter is literally the only option.

>>49641610
Literally any interesting character not created with the intent to game the system. If you can't conceive of that we have no common grounds to have a conversation.
>>
Away from my books, what's a good East Asian god/spirit for a Life Domain cleric?
>>
File: Spellbook.png (28KB, 324x546px) Image search: [Google]
Spellbook.png
28KB, 324x546px
How does this look for a first-level wizard? I'm gonna go with Necromancer, but I figured I should start off with some more rounded spells. Not too sure how useful Friends will be though.
>>
>>49640784
In between game sessions.
>>
>>49641696
Horo
>>
>>49641696
Shennong, the legendary emperor/god who taught the Chinese herbal medicine.
Titan Quest taught me a lot about Chinese mythology
>>
>>49640865
With a 3 man party, I'd suggest Bard.
>>
>>49641707

I'm pretty fond of Prestidigitation, but can't really go wrong with magic missiles and having a familiar.

Why not take a ranged cantrip?
>>
>>49641800
Chill touch has a range of 120 feet.
>>
>>49641669
So goliaths, tieflings, and Dragonborn are "gaming the system. That limits the party to elves, dwarfs, halflings, humans, and gnomes. Assuming arakokra and gensai fall into mary sue catagory.
>>
>>49641725
Who's that?
>>49641747
Does that lend itself well to cleric magic?
>>
>>49641707
Ditch friends, take Mold Earth (from elemental evil).
Mold earth lends you incredible setup abilities (making traps or an ambush area before a fight) d also grants some impressive utility with what it can manage. And thirty foot range to do the shit it lets you do isnt bad at all.

You choose a portion of dirt or stone that you can see within range and that fits within a 5-foot cube. You manipulate it in one of the following ways:
• If you target an area of loose earth, you can instantaneously excavate it, move it along the ground, and deposit it up to 5 feet away. This movement doesn’t have enough force to cause damage.
• You cause shapes, colors, or both to appear on the dirt or stone, spelling out words, creating images, or shaping patterns. The changes last for 1 hour.
• If the dirt or stone you target is on the ground, you cause it to become difficult terrain. Alternatively, you can cause the ground to become normal terrain if it is already difficult terrain. This change lasts for 1 hour. If you cast this spell multiple times, you can have no more than two of its non-instantaneous effects active at a time, and you can dismiss such an effect as an action.
>>
>>49641859
You misunderstand. An entire party of goliaths, tieflings and dragonborn are special snowflakes, as opposed to an entire party of var humans and half-elves that are min-maxers. I'm saying other options do exist that do neither of those things.
>>
>>49641880
To be honest, clerics don't really lend themselves to Chinese mythology in general. There's really no concept of magical holy warrior associated with it. But if you're playing a cleric already, and want to heal a lot, a deity associated with healing is a good choice.
>>
Does anyone know if the back of the DM screen is on the mega? I want to make my custom one
>>
>>49641894
Oh if that's the case, I agree. I find party diversity, class and race, to add a lot when playing.
>>
File: 1470978282181.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1470978282181.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49641927
Here you go, anon.
>>
>>49641696
I played a Cleric during an asian-esque campaign. If you want fun times, try making a wandering battle-poet who can infuse people with 'natural life essence' for healing purposes. Check out Cold Mountain Poems and just steal some amusing lines to spout in battle.
>>
>>49641669
>I don't think he'll allow the mystic either.

He told me he'd think about it.

I'm gonna re-reccomend to him a Great Old One Bladelock again thought
>>
>>49641978
New players should probably not play bladelock, because they'll assume it's supposed to be a melee class, and it's not. Just scroll up in this thread for some vigorous discussion on the topic.
>>
>>49641923
>>49641972
Well it's not my character, I'm going to be running a wuxia campaign and not all the party's versed in Asian mythology.
>>
>>49642018
To be honest no full spellcasting class really makes sense in Wuxia, but I'm assuming by "Wuxia" you just mean "Eastern fantasy" and not the more strict genre definition.
>>
Whats the best Goblin player race you guys have seen?
>>
>>49642073
http://imgur.com/a/NGXzs this one.
>>
>>49642085
Other than being a bit overpowered in general, shield proficiency can have some unintended consequences (greatly buffing rogues, warlocks, and spellcasters).
>>
>>49641952

Thanks mate. How about the Starter Set? Does it have anything to it, or is it just the rules+tiles and dice?

I want to get a friend of mine into DM'ing
>>
File: 1475251519185.png (103KB, 665x598px) Image search: [Google]
1475251519185.png
103KB, 665x598px
>>49642085

>Small size, 30 feet speed
>Two skill proficiencies
> +2 Dex, +1 Int
> Combat Training (with Shield proficiency)
> Bite attack (the fuck is a "primary natural attack action"
>>
>>49641121
I think there should be options for people who like simpler combat. The champion fighter is a fine class, and I'd be okay with it being excluded from the everyone is a battlemaster houserule. But the problem now is nearly every martial is simple and repetitive. Which means they suck the fun out of combat.

Don't get me wrong. Martials are effective in combat. But that isn't the only ingredient for fun combat.
>>
>>49642055
Yeah, Asian fantasy, Tianxia or whatever it's called, there's a thread up about it right now. Gonna have an opportunity to recycle plots from Kung-fu and chanbara movies. Not really, but I'm excited. My DMing style swings between 'do what you want' and 'here's the story, get involved,' and I'm trying to see if I can get in between that.
>>
Anyone have recommendations for a short non-Wotc adventure I could run for 4 people?
>>
So /tg/, how would I go about making a campaign where my 3 PCs find themselves in a world where nearly all the NPCs have disappeared and now they're in a magical post apocalypse of sorts?

I was planning on making the campaign more about exploration, investigation, and survival with them meeting a few deranged NPCs or hostile slavers, but I was thinking of including some small towns of people, all having different ideas on what happened to the world.
>>
Isle of Dread or Keep on the Borderlands (Caves of Chaos) for 5e?

Looking for a classic module to run in 5e, any ideas?
>>
>>49642085
Have you seen the Zendikar supplements? It's got goblins from n it, it would've better to use that and re-fluff than coming up with your own thing.
>>
File: classics.png (62KB, 657x579px) Image search: [Google]
classics.png
62KB, 657x579px
>>49642425
>>
>>49642316
Either look into the Dark Sun setting or just play Apocalypse World.
>>
>>49642530
Ummm yes, that's a lovely collection.

Which one should I run with my group next?
>>
File: angry connie gun.png (55KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
angry connie gun.png
55KB, 500x500px
>>49642085
>Pathfinder goblin art
>>
>>49642550
Already looked into it and found some interesting things I'd probably steal or adapt.

I've also found some stuff on skill checks and surviving in different environments and plan to add them.

But what are some ways I could add some sense of mystery or emotion to my games, with only a small outposts here and there all surrounded by ruins and abandoned homes?
>>
>>49641707
Prestidigitation and Shield are missing, they are the best things you can have as a level 1 wizard :)
>>
Did we get an October UA yesterday?
>>
>>49642860
Nope, and radio silence from Mearls.
>>
>>49642860
>>49642897
i heard we're getting psionic part 3 next month
>>
>>49641480
Polearm master with a reskinned Halberd/Glaive. Change the damage type on the bonus action attack to slashing.

Alternatively just use the Two-Weapon Fighting rules if you don't want to use a feat. To match existing balance each side is a 1d6 light finesse weapon the only difference is it's a single object for purposes of item interactions.
>>
>>49642566
Anyone you havn't played before. Too bad the OSR Trove is down. I'd also recommend Judge's Guild's "Glory Hole Dwarven Mine"
>>
>>49642957
I think the older tweets had something about encounter guidelines that aren't retarded...
>>
>>49643063
I'd also recommend anything by Frog God Games, written for Swords & Wizardry as far as OSR goes.

I loved running Lost City of Barakus. So many dead characters...
>>
If you're wearing leather armor, and have 8 dexterity, is your AC 11 or 10?
>>
>>49643334
>>
>>49643334
>If you're wearing leather armor, and have 8 dexterity, is your AC 11 or 10?

your ac is 0 because you should kill urself
>>
File: 1475250853363.jpg (50KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1475250853363.jpg
50KB, 500x282px
just to clarify, the maximum save DC for a spellcaster is 19?

8 + Prof Bonus (6, assuming level 20) + Spellcasting Mod

(also considering the number of pluses that some of the creatures in the MM get, that seems a bit low?)
>>
>>49643503
Unless you have a magical item that boosts your DCs, that's right. And with all the things one spell can do, I'd say the saves are fine as they are.
>>
>>49640276
>Can post pdfs

What sorcery is this?
>>
>>49643503
>(also considering the number of pluses that some of the creatures in the MM get, that seems a bit low?)
Nah, you don't want casters save-or-suck-ing their way out of difficult encounters.
>>
>>49643563
it's /tg/

some boards have different upload rules, like /gif/ boards allow sound on webm's
>>
>>49643578

Thanks, I was expecting a /tg/ish answer though.
>>
>>49643595
A wizard did it.
>>
>>49643503
Monsters actually tend to have fairly poor saves, since save proficiencies are surprisingly rare. For instance, the Tarrasque doesn't have any saves higher than +9.

Also, like >>49643562 and >>49643570 said, save-or-suck spells don't need bonuses.
>>
>>49643562
ah i see, i'll go back to check the DMG for such magical items.

>>49643570
ah, gotcha. i was looking at some of the higher CR creatures and i was wondering how they would even fail saving throws considering that their stats can go upto 30.
>>
>>49643562
>A goblin or nobody commoner actually has a chance to resist the extremely potent level 20 archmage-tier wizard's MAGIC, and they dont even have to roll a 20 to do so
Yo, that shit is fuckin trash, dawg.
I expect low tier shit to not stand a chance against high tier shit.
Even if its like, a level 20 barbarian, fuckin no commoner should have the chance to beat him in a contest of strength and shit.
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>49643503
Yes DC 19 is what you are looking for. The reason it's higher is cause stuff like ancient dragons have really high proficiencies. Proficiency total goes all the way up to 9.

The reason they have to be so high is cause some classes have insanely high saving throw modifiers. A level 20 paladin has a Charisma save of +16 (5 Cha 6 Prof 5 Aura) they need to get that high or it will be easy.
>>
>>49643671
I thought you had to roll over the DC? So yeah, they would have to get the 20. Unless I'm just tired and posting wrong shit.
>>
>>49640476
I've tested out the called shot mechanics in some of my fights.

Seems like only Rangers can beat the AC values for those called shots generally. Got one in my game who has consistently hit all his called shots, even with Sharpshooter.
>>
>>49643724
You just have to meet the DC, i'm pretty sure
>>
>>49643671
Arguably THE most important aspect of 5e is that level is not a guarantee of success or failure. If you want commoners to automatically fail saves against high-level spells you don't understand 5e's bounded accuracy.
>>
>>49643616
so i guess even the biggest baddy has ~ 45% chance to fail the saving throw

thanks for the ... insight anon

>>49643671
from what i've read i think that's another thing that 5e tried to do. lean away from the god-like stature of end-level characters in older editions and still make them more "mortal"
>>
>>49643772
That's your opinion, anon.
And it has been noted.
>>
>>49643791
That's not an opinion, man, that was a cogent idea that the designers definitely had in mind while creating the system. To that point, yeah, it IS an important aspect, in that it was a central goal of the system's design from day 1.
>>
>>49643791
That's not my opinion, it's literally one of 5e's basic design principles. If you want level to be the ultimate determinant of success, 4e is all about that.
>>
>>49643813
>>49643818
I'll be sure to note your opinions too.
>>
>>49643854
Well, I mean, what do YOU think, then? That it just so happened that every roll, modifier, stat, and feat in 5e all add up so that bounded accuracy just kind of happened, systemwide, coincidentally? At this point, it's almost certain that you're just shitposting, but I'm writing this so that anybody lurking the thread knows better: this is what the designers had in mind when they created the system, and if you don't like it, you would be better of running/playing a different system.
>>
File: player options.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
player options.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49640202
>>
>>49643778
>so i guess even the biggest baddy has ~ 45% chance to fail the saving throw

Before factoring in legendary resistances allowing the biggest ones to outright shrug off failed savings throws a certain number of times outright, yes.
>>
>>49643942
>"Inquisitive" instead of "Inquisitor"
Did somebody beef it?
>>
File: 126me0.jpg 500×633 .png (277KB, 496x451px) Image search: [Google]
126me0.jpg 500×633 .png
277KB, 496x451px
>>49643980

>literally didnt read what was 2 inches away in the legendary actions section
>>
>>49644006
"Inquisitives" are a type of fantasy investigator in Eberron.
>>
>>49643892
I think that stating that someone doesn't understand something is an opinion.
I understand 5e's bounded accuracy and the full impact it had on development. I just disagree with it and find the concept to be ridiculous in a system that uses fuckloads of high powered magic. That was the only opinion I was talking about - not about the importance of it, just the remark regarding my knowledge.
It's not my fault if two of you niggas mistook what I was calling an opinion.
The second opinion post was just me shitposting you two for your mistakes, though
>>
>>49644026
Legendary Resistance is not a Legendary Action. They're different rules with similar names. Legendary Actions are per turn, Legendary Resistances are per day.
>>
>>49644070
But "muh caster supremacy" is one of the biggest criticisms of most iterations of D&D. This obviously helps to alleviate that problem.

Besides which, a lot of spells have some effects even on a successful save. If you fireball a crowd of commoners it doesn't matter who saves or not, half damage is still going to roast them.

Bounded accuracy is definitely one of the best things to happen to the system.
>>
I want to give my party a magic item to help them out with knowledge checks, as they're all moronic martials. How does this look:

- Gives advantage to knowledge checks
- If used by characters with less than 18 intelligence (won't tell them about that part) using the item will daze and deal 5 psychic damage to the user
- The item can't be used again until after a short rest

I don't want it to be too OP, but it's free so they can't complain, right? I'd also love some name suggestions
>>
>>49642294
Most Potent Brew
>>
>>49644148
Tome of Boundless Knowledge
>>
>>49644070
>I just disagree with it and find the concept to be ridiculous in a system that uses fuckloads of high powered magic.
But, that's not what the poster you were replying to was saying. They weren't asserting that bounded accuracy was good or necessary, just that it is important to the system, which was a fact. The claim that somebody expecting auto-failures in a system with bounded accuracy did not understand bounded accuracy was also factual.

At no point in these posts has anyone told you their opinion of bounded accuracy, so nobody here made any mistakes but you, for calling anything even related to an idea you disliked an "opinion" and shitposting about it as though you deserved to.
>>
>>49644148
Galactic Guide of the Hitchhiker
>>
>>49644148
Volo's Guide to [blank]
>>
File: 1472238076159.jpg (336KB, 1280x877px) Image search: [Google]
1472238076159.jpg
336KB, 1280x877px
How would your party react?

>Group rolls into a somewhat isolated village
>There's a festival going on, party's invited to join
>As they reach the town's center, they find the thing this festival is out to celebrate
>A twisted thing, recognizable as a dragon. Its scales twisted, discolored, and fused together in places, and its eyes are covered in blood-soaked cloth
>It turns its head, adorned with flower wreathes, gives the party a brief greeting, and turns its blind head back towards an ongoing dance
>>
>>49644284
They'd instantly become loyal to it.
>>
>>49644148

The Dunce Cap
>>
>>49644148
Does only using it once per short rest make it suck too much? What about once per short rest per character, or would that not work with the fact that it should be attuned to one person at a time?

I'm kinda loving the idea of a Barbarian, a Champion and a Thief all having a go and losing 5 hp each trying to remember something.
>>
>>49644284
At least one of my players would squee audibly and try to befriend/heal it. She's a sucker for cute monsters, even those most people would consider more "horrifying" than "adorable."
Two of the rest would probably try to find out more about the festival and/or talk to the beast, and the last would listen to the other two for a bit before wondering when we're going to get to combat.
>>
File: Clipboard01.jpg (84KB, 938x589px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.jpg
84KB, 938x589px
>>49642574
Bitch, say what you will about the system, but PF Goblins were the best.
>>
>>49644148
Make it an int save after use, and have it stop working for that user until they finish a short rest on a failed save. Add psychic damage as needed.

When they successfully use the item, it compliments them before coughing up the result of the knowledge check. On a failure, it simply insults them, or informs them that they aren't authorized to use it, and should try again later. While it might have a wide array of phrases, it is not actually sentient, or only slightly so.
>>
>>49644518
PF Goblins are amazing. I've been tempted to convert all three We Be Goblins adventures just for shits and giggles to torture my players.
>>
>>49644555
I'm thinking it's more of just a circlet that turbocharges their brains, but I love the idea of an INT check that they'll struggle to pass.

Should they be able to pass it around though? Or should it require attunement?
>>
>>49644641
>Should they be able to pass it around though? Or should it require attunement?

How much do you need them passing knowledge checks for campaign purposes? How funny do you find the idea of them passing around this thing that does brain damage when they use it incorrectly between one another?
>>
>>49644284
There's about a 50/50 chance that one particular character would roll to hit in the middle of dialog.
>>
File: Goblin Battle II.jpg (1MB, 1924x2592px) Image search: [Google]
Goblin Battle II.jpg
1MB, 1924x2592px
>>49644518
I like 5E goblins much more.
>>
>>49644693
Collective brain damage it is.
>>
>>49644471
>The creature actively attempts to steer the conversation away from talking about its conditions, only insisting that its inner eye can see just fine
If the party presses:
>If they have little to no reputation, the creature bares its teeth and hisses for the guard to remove the party (all the guards are drunk from celebrating, but do arrive)
>If the party does have sufficient reputation, it more politely asks them to leave, insisting that it does not need their help
>>
>>49644875
Bonus sadism points, include a simple way to avoid the damage, but require a high dc knowledge check about the item itself for them to figure it out. Do not hint that it's there, only give them a chance at discovering it if the players voluntarily attempt to make the check. Consider having an NPC demonstrate it much later in the campaign (say when the item is for some reason less useful to them.)
>>
>>49644910
And what if the gnomish druid girl tries to gently hug its neck?
>>
File: pumpkin dance.gif (392KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
pumpkin dance.gif
392KB, 320x240px
Give me plot hooks for a Halloween-themed oneshot.
>>
>>49644458

You can make it Fast Attunement (1 minute)
>>
My next character is a librarian Wizard who does not deal damage.

Is it possible for me to literally take 0 damaging spells/cantrips and still be a help?

At low levels stuff like Sleep will make it easy but I dunno if it's really possible to do at the mid/high levels without being a waste of a character slot
>>
File: ThePumpkinCourt.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
ThePumpkinCourt.pdf
1B, 486x500px
So last night I was soliciting anons for a mashup dungeon/location adventure. I got this:

>Fey theme - some faerie queen has stolen a warrior away and he needs to be saved. The warrior is used to enact her will in the real world, and can transform into beasts - defeating each of his transformations will break her hold over him and he can go back to his love. A more fighty version of the story of Tam Lin.

And then for funsies I threw in a bit of Halloween/October flavor and made a little module. It's the first draft, so I plan on sketching up a few small maps to go along with it. I did a quick once-over for grammar and stylistic errors, but since I just finished it I figure I'll take a break before I sit down to do a real edit.

Until then, feel free to have a peek and steal whatever you like. Lemme know if you like it.
>>
>>49645006
Definitely. Support spells are great.

Though nondamaging cantrips are a bit of an issue, since most of them aren't useful in combat. Talk with your DM about that.

>>49644951
It would probably accept the gesture, and possibly offer them a wreath. The druid might notice that most of the flowers in the wreathe are unusual, many of them being foreign
>>
>>49645006
yes, just play any wizard tradition but necromancy and evocation.
>>
>>49645058
Tell me more about the dragon, anon. I'm gonna steal it.
>>
>>49640182
People always say combat is boring and martials are weaker than casters, but I watch a lot of people play 5e and really don't see it.

I can't actually play tabletop games myself because I don't get along with people, but the idea is novel. I did try playing 4e a few times, but thought it was lame.
>>
File: lifferlas.png (384KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
lifferlas.png
384KB, 512x512px
Just added a zip of all the tokens from the Roll20 version of Storm King's Thunder to the Mega.
>>
>>49645071
I was thinking Divination because I will largely rely on save spells

Either that or convince my dm to let me use Theurge and go like Life Wizard which would be fucking great
>>
>>49645108
>ThereIsNoNeedToBeUpset.png
>>
>>49641489
For NPCs, take two real names and combine them, GRRM-style.

For PCs, consider what people/characters inspire me the most to play the character and make a name that references more than one of them.
>>
>>49645108

Thanks anon
>>
>>49645044
Nicely done Idahoanon, this looks fun and comfy.
>>
>>49645103
It's a matter of taste. Some people don't like how samey 5e combat is. Too often all you do is just attack or cast cantrips over and over again. Some people enjoy that. Either is fine, but right now 5e is mostly tailored to the people who like things simple and samey, at the expense of the former group of people.
>>
>>49645089
In my campaign, it was previously working closely working with the BBEG, but realized that their plan was nothing he wanted to be part of.

So the dragon used its silver tongue negotiated a cushy job as far from that shit as possible. The village he watches over has an unusually high concentration of magical bloodlines (due to proximity to the original lair of an elder dragon, a present home of a fey court, etc), and he:
>makes sure the village doesn't blow up from all the newly-awakened sorcerers running around every decade or so
>scouts out the most talented ones for the BBEG
>Uses the village as a source of entertainment, protection from dragonslayers, food source, servants, etc.
>Provides good harvests and solves village disputes

The reason their body is so messed up is due to their previous work with the BBEG, and is a good part of the reason they stopped direct work with them.

In your game, they might just be cursed, their motives might just be to look out for themselves, or something like that.
>>
>>49645281
I mean, even I understand 5e is trimmed down and simplified compared to previous editions, but isn't part of the fun making shit up yourself? Is it really the martial classes that are boring, or the people playing them?

Looking at my experience from 4e, I don't see how combat is anymore exciting. I still have the same control over my character, it's just that all my actions have special names and shit. Again, it's only my personal experience, but I found 4e to be rigid with a clear wall between the characters and the mechanics. People more experienced with D&D might've been able to just shrug off stuff like that, but for me and my friends, it was less engaging than normal board games. 5e on the other hand really inspires me. Instead of thinking, "What does the card say this ability is supposed to do," I think, "What would this ability actually do in real life and does that have a representation in the mechanics?" Again, you can approach 4e like that, but the way the system is handled makes it seem incredibly more alien.
>>
File: deadgame.jpg (173KB, 823x1023px) Image search: [Google]
deadgame.jpg
173KB, 823x1023px
>>49644518
It really depends on whether you want your classic race of monster shitters to be cute/endearing or not. Most old school gamers would probably say they don't, which is why D&D goblins are fugly and goblins in everything else nowadays are not.

Even FFXI goblins, who people thought were cute because of their masks, their concept art shows that even under the mask they look like some fuzzy minion and not an ugly Jew-monster.
>>
I had a thunk, anons.

Wild Magic Sorcerer doesn't roll on the table often enough. What if it was changed that, any time you cast a spell, you have to roll equal to or under the spell's level on a d20 to trigger a wild magic surge; i.e. if you cast a 3rd level spell, you roll a d20 and if you roll 1-3, you trigger a wild magic surge.

Also, Sorcerer needs more metamagic abilities, and I need some more alcohol.
>>
>>49645679
I'm in favor of anything that has Wild Mages rolling on the table more often. And also for using more elaborate homebrew tables.
>>
So I came across a thing while looking for alternate tables for the Reincarnate spell.

https://wrathofzombie.wordpress.com/2013/12/24/the-d200-side-effects-of-being-resurrected-table/
>>
>>49644970
A meteor containing an elder brain crashes into a nearby village. Either the players are recruited by it to bring all of the townspeople so it can absorb their brains, or the players have to stop a mindflayer that's doing that job instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpLRJyWe814
>>
>>49645679
Maybe, but you can cast a lot of spells before getting to a level where that fireball doesn't kill you. Maybe make the fireball be whatever your highest slot is (minimum 3rd) to both nerf it a tiny bit early-game and to make it harsher later on.
>>
>>49645754
Some of these are great, but some are just too much for me personally. Definitely going to read the whole thing, though. Thanks for posting.
>>
>>49645754
>Range from inconsequential to huge and game breaking
If you want resurrection in a setting, why make it damning to the point of making death better?
>>
>>49645504
I don't understand your point. You seem to be saying that one of 5e's strengths is that it is so bare bones you can make everything up in combat to make it more interesting. That hardly seems like something new though. Most people dealing with the issue of boring combat are asking what sorts of home brew rules make it interesting.

Responding to that with a "just spice things up yourselves" isn't helpful.

As far as the mechanics in 5e go, it does have options for moves beyond attacking, but most of them are hardly worth doing when you could just attack. So for players that are trying to play against difficult enemies, they are stuck just using basic moves over and over again.
>>
>>49645851
Some people seem to like that sort of stuff. I assume the ones that completely ruin a character were written by people who pine for the days of the old school Reincarnate table where you were more likely to end up as an animal than a player race.
>>
>>49640294
>For other types of enemies, like giants, I always set them up like multi-tiered HP monsters.
Do you read The Angry DM?
>>
>>49640198
So the magical girl who sold her soul to Cthulhu using the her magical powers based on her force of personally to empower her magical blade gifted by said magical patron is where you draw the line?
>>
>>49646052
Not him, but:
What article? This sounds interesting.
>>
How long do you guys prefer your campaigns to go? Just a few levels? Something like a published adventure (1-10, 3-15, etc.), or just a long, continuous campaign with no real set ending point?
>>
>>49646528
My group, particularly the DM, likes to go from 1 until either TPK or we stumble into a satisfying end state. Personally, i'd prefer to at least break up the constant sandbox with other characters and adventures from time to time, but you can't always have everything you want in a group.
>>
>>49646528
I've had a campaign going for over a year now, we play weekly, took a break during the summer but just got back together. Started at level 1, my players just got to level 14.

There is a set end point, but my players are taking their sweet time getting there.
>>
>>49646528
1-10 or 3-10. I don't really like the higher leveled games and prefer to end it at a point in the story where it makes sense and give the players an epilogue of what's happened after.
>>
What is the best split point when you multiclass?

Planning to play Arcane Trickster, but I might take at least 5 level in Bladesinger Wizard after I got trickster archetype for early haste.

Should I dip deeper into Wizard? Maybe forgo rogue level entirely? Since I already get the class feature I want?'
>>
>>49647023
AT doesn't need haste nearly as much as EK.
>>
>>49647073
Haste is way better for rogues than the EK, actually. With the use of the Ready action, Haste can almost double their damage output via off-turn sneak attack, compared to a single extra attack for the EK which already has 3 by the time it gets Haste.
>>
>>49646528
1-10 or 3-10, but once in a while it's nice to do a quick 12-15 or 18-20. Lots of oneshots scattered around.
>>
>>49647091
You should note that the reason it's best for rogues is that under the wording of Haste, they can do their single weapon attack with haste's extra action and use their regular action for something else, like the Ready action. Fighters can't use Haste to make a ready action, unless they want to give up their extra weapon attacks.

>and it gains an additional action on each of its turns. That aclion can be used only lo lake the Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, Hide,or Use an Object aclion.
>>
> Mobile Feat
> Move
> Haste action Dash
> Cunning action Dash
>>
File: 5e sanic.png (61KB, 350x555px) Image search: [Google]
5e sanic.png
61KB, 350x555px
>>49647689
>>
Anyone have a favourite set of Monk homebrew rules or monastic traditions? I hear a lot that Monks are weak in combat and I'd like to see what corrections people have tried.
>>
>>49639781

Lost two players tonight in a game.

> School Teacher / Wizard is talking with a Dragonborn Prisoner and one of the Traders who frequents a village.
> Is asked by the Trader to read the Dragonborn Prisoner, who is a Cleric, a passage from the holy book.
> Once finished, the Trader casts a fireball, exploding the prison and instantly dropping the Teacher / Wizard into instant death.
> They escape, Paladin and Warlock give chase.
> Paladin abandons the Warlock and tells her to go back to town
> Paladin dies while chasing down the two, hell-bent on revenge.
> Trader casts a seventh-level fireball and kills the Paladin

Was explained that these guys are pretty much going to be the End Bosses for us in that game. My question is, can I use athletics to pin / break the bones of the caster if I get close enough? I'd want to disable his somatic casting first, followed by verbal.

Would that be logical? We're sixth-level, by the way. Pushing our way to seventh now.
>>
>>49645006
control magic+divination school seem to be okay
>>
>>49648308
Please learn the difference between players and characters.
>>
>>49648308
> Was explained that these guys are pretty much going to be the End Bosses for us in that game. My question is, can I use athletics to pin / break the bones of the caster if I get close enough? I'd want to disable his somatic casting first, followed by verbal.
>
> Would that be logical? We're sixth-level, by the way. Pushing our way to seventh now.

>Trader casts a seventh-level fireball and kills the Paladin
>We're sixth-level

No. Clearly the DM had a "Let this happen or die" attitude. Seventh level casting could have let them plane shift, but instead they let a lowly 6th level paladin catch up to them and blew 7th levl fireball in his face. Just for kicks.
>>
File: 9d626e8806.jpg (29KB, 325x278px) Image search: [Google]
9d626e8806.jpg
29KB, 325x278px
>>49646052
>>49646083
http://theangrygm.com/return-of-the-son-of-the-dd-boss-fight-now-in-5e/
>>
>Playing in game
>my character gets his feelings hurt
>hits really close to home
>really sad and angry, kind of want to quit
>>
File: blackice.gif (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
blackice.gif
3MB, 480x360px
>>49648756
>other party mates are shitty traveling companions who don't give a shit about my character
>can't visualize a character that would want to travel with them that I'd enjoy playing
>start doing things to annoy the party so they have to deal with my shit too instead
enjoy fgts
>>
>>49648756
Do you, the player, feel genuinely hurt and want to stop playing, or does the character have legitimate reason to stop being a member of the group?
The first really depends on how well you know the group, if friends or better, talk to them about what is eating you. If the latter, either talk to the GM about a new character, new arc for the character, or work it out in character.
Either way, best option is talking to the group, but leaving a hostile group you don't know well can be just as good.
>>
>>49648477

Ah, my mistake.

>>49648504

Didn't mean go out and find them right this second. I'd be able to shake off the damage surprisingly, but others might die instantly / be grievously wounded.

I was wondering if it would be possible to say;

Once we're at the level where we can fight them, can I blow my regular action to grapple him, then the extra attack as a bite action against his mouth to prevent both somatic and verbal casting? That is, if I can even get close enough.
>>
>>49648784

I feel hurt as the player. They can't have known really since I haven't told them about it beforehand. The character would leave if they didn't feel obligated to the bigger picture.
>>
>>49648756
You are a sensitive introvert, social games are not for you. Sit in your room alone and drink.
>>
>>49648817

...I already sit in my room alone and drink. It's an online game.
>>
>>49648850
I have never had a successful online game, even with people i know IRL, or in a different case, online for years. At best, the last a few weeks and then people stop paying attention, at worst they go to crap instantly with massive tonal issues.
>>
>>49648872

We've been playing for a while. I guess this is just open complaining at this point. The whole thing is just dark and depressing hidden behind a sheen of cartoony innocence. We're dealing with situations I never signed up for, and I'm starting to kind of feel like my character is the butt of every "joke" because at the beginning of the game he started out as a pretty positive guy. Now it's just oppressive a lot of the time.
>>
>>49648850
I hope you listen, I made this for you. I'm in the same boat, and I have some advice.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Pc2wiWFBBc
>>
>>49648952

this probably says to stop being a faggot
>>
File: 1454173300210.jpg (1MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1454173300210.jpg
1MB, 3000x3000px
>>49648952
>>49648850
>>49648872
I play online and my only complaint is games going slow due to us using text but other than that everything is ok.
Lately our GM stops the game for 15 minutes if anyone is having a problem and we all discuss it and try to help each other (be it choosing character options or whataever).
>>
>>49648809
There aren't really any rules for the biting so that'd be up to the DM but you could certainly grapple him and the vast majority of the wizard spell list requires a somatic component. How good are you at making DC 18ish Con/Wis saves?
>>
>>49649037

Wis saves are my bane, given I'm at 9 wis. In about, say, level 12 when we may encounter them again? I'd probably have 19 con. at 8, I can push that up to 17. Plus, I'd have proficiency in con saves as well.
>>
File: cabin.jpg (96KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
cabin.jpg
96KB, 736x552px
>You come across a log cabin, a trail of smoke drifts lazily across the horizon from it's chimney. It is home to a silent but friendly old barbarian. Trophies from slain beasts, warlords, and other assorted baddies adorn his walls, and above the fireplace hangs a painting of a much younger him alongside several excitable looking adventurers in fine armour. He occasionally casts mournful glances between the painting and the PCs. He makes everyone a very fine and rejuvenating soup, and is content to listen to whatever tales the PCs have to spin. He may have something to teach the bruiser of the party.

Coming up with a random encounter table for my first GMing of 5e, is this too generic or tryhard?
>>
>>49649124
Is this one of the encounters that might happen, or are you considering different encounters based off this vignette?
>>
>>49649131
One of the encounters that might happen, DM's guide mentioned putting in a few non-combat encounters, vignette style is mostly for me to improv off of in the moment if it happens.
>>
>>49649124
Definitely not too try hard, that'd be cozy as fuck stumbling upon that as a player.
>>
>>49649124
too tryhard

Flickering and unexplainable lights are always a good way to get a mystery started. Better if starts out as a little detail, and then gradually builds into something more noticeable.

Other examples:

>A shooting star falls to earth within walking distance and the PCs investigate.

>A traveling storyteller is willing to trade tall tales for a night's meal and lodging.

>Passersby report having seen a unicorn in the woods around the tower.

>A group of local pixie sisters begin bickering over which PC is most attractive.

>After a group of travelers leave a trunk behind, the PCs establish a lost-and-found.

>One of the PCs finds a charm on the road that drastically improves their luck.
>>
>>49648952
>>49648850
Fuck, are you guys doing alright? Do you need someone to talk to or anything?
>>
>>49649104
Assuming the enemy caster is a wizard and your DM is at least potentially a dick I would definitely suggest looking into something to help with Wis saves. Maybe a buff from a party member.

You can make things a little bit better if you can come up with a reason for your character to know to get rid of the caster's arcane focus and/or component pouch, then your grapple will take him down to just purely verbal casting. Off the top of my head Teleport would get him out of the jam, but then he should be stuck without his focus/components.
>>
File: 1473844447066.png (51KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1473844447066.png
51KB, 657x527px
>>49649156
>>
>>49649136

Cool. It seems good to me. Only questions I'd have are:

1- What might he teach the bruiser?
2- Why is he alone, and would there be any potential tie-in elsewhere in whatever campaign you're running?
>>
>>49649155
You mean:

>After a group of travelers leave a trunk behind, the PCs just keep it and move on even if it's not worth a damn thing.
>>
>>49649161

I'd imagine the party would tell him that he's a nasty caster, or at least the ruined prison might be a testament to that. I'll see about buffing up my wis save through party means, but that might tough with the Paladin gone, and the Cleric wanting to fight the Warlock in character.

It'll happen when it happens I suppose. Thank you very much for the advice.
>>
>>49649124
It's kinda cheesy, but I like to fill out the following whenever I plan a potential 'encounter' for the players, regardless of what sort of encounter it is.

>Focus of encounter
Monster, person, location, weird event?
>Possible rewards
Coin, magic items, friendship?
>Long-term consequences
Recurring NPC, altering someone's life?
>Fruit or seed
Is it something the players are done with as soon as they consume it, or is it something that you plant for a later payoff?
>>
>>49649148
That's good at least, figured it could be a respite if things were going hard for whatever reason.
>>49649155
I do agree with you, I've got all the suggested encounters from the Watchtower thread saved to a document not only for adaption as random encounters, but because I intend on trying the Watchtower gimmick at some point too.
>>49649169
Thanks. For the teaching bit I figured I'd give the Bruiser (yet to do character creation, so whatever melee oriented character is in their party) some skill from the early Barbarian progression that they can only use once per short rest or something.
I envisioned him being alone because he sees himself as having "finished" his adventures, his friends are gone in one way or another, and his big bad was defeated. I've got a fairly good idea of where an overarching plot could go if my players end up being into that, so it could be the resurgence of something he faced.
>>49649199
Thanks mate, I really, really like the little checklist you have. Screencapped and saved to my advice folder, will take to heart.
>>
>>49649234
>I do agree with you, I've got all the suggested encounters from the Watchtower thread saved to a document not only for adaption as random encounters, but because I intend on trying the Watchtower gimmick at some point too.
wow
your nerdliness is off the charts
>>
>>49649254
Less a nerdy thing and more a hoardy thing for me, I've still got shit like the sheet music from my lunch break ukulele classes way back in Grade 2 or 3. If I think something could come in handy I keep it, pain in the ass to clean the house though.
>>
>>49649234
I did the same thing with that thread.
>>
>>49645044
This is great! The pumpkins and faeries theme makes for a good low level Halloween adventure. Good atmosphere.
>>
File: Re Dead LOZ.jpg (471KB, 800x513px) Image search: [Google]
Re Dead LOZ.jpg
471KB, 800x513px
>>49645191
>>49649323
Thanks guys! It means a lot that someone enjoys it, honestly. I plan on running it myself, but if at least one other person enjoys reading through it, I figure it's a success.
>>
Gaming gtoup dnd possibley on hiatus because of a group member being in lock up at hospital. Either drugs or suicide attempt I say drug because she went to the last session high.
>>
>>49649342
Small flavor things:

The lie detector pebble should be shaped like a pumpkin and have a similarly orange color, even though it feels like and weighs as much as a pebble of its size should.

Maybe the hag has crudely erected a sort of Wilson-like figurehead for her to talk to in her years of isolation. The scarecrow would work well as that sort of thing, and could be fun to RP out. As for the ritual, the hag needs the blood of someone she walks to turn into, so she's picky about her appearance and that is why she's been going into town: to look for people that she would like to turn into permanently.

If the party does convince the townsfolk to give pumpkins over to the fey, then a small boon should be granted to the townsfolk; maybe a pretty light show or some jaunty tune fills the autumn air when farmers go to harvest the pumpkins.

But otherwise it's pretty damn comfy and should work well for any Halloween adventure, especially if you want to run it for kids and get them into the hobby at an early age.
>>
>>49649468
I love small flavor stuff, but I had to cut a lot of those ideas out just to save space. After all, it's already a 9-page pdf. Any more and you risk boring people, I've found.

The hag is probably the weakest point, but it's also the sort of thing that leaves a lot of the 'personalization' up to the DM. I was thinking of fleshing out the scarecrow a bit more and making it an official NPC, but I figure if the players show up at the hag's hut, they've already got something in mind, and springing something that unexpected on them is a bit mean.

Still, referencing the scarecrow as a wilson-esque 'character' that serves the hag as a temporary companion is going into the second draft. It's too good to pass up.
>>
What kind of wizard is mordenkainen
>>
>>49649505
The main thing with the hag is it's very odd to see a hag want to try and become "normal" after years of having powers and magic. Losing her coven to adventurers is a solid reason, but most would just remake a coven and go about their business.

Also, you can definitely tighten up your spacing on the columns, cut down on the page count, as you've got a lot of empty space around the columns and between each line. It makes for an easier read but chews up your page count.
>>
>>49649556

a prestidigitation kind
>>
>>49649556
conj probably
his spells summon shit
>>
>>49644200
Nigga you clearly still don't understand, did you even read the post you were replying to
>>
>>49648244
classing a round as 6 seconds that works out to 121.92 meters per second.
or 272.727273 miles per hour.
That is just shy of the top speed of the fastest production car, the Koenigsegg Agera R
>>
>>49650356
>My character his like a truck dm.
>>
File: ek.jpg (38KB, 395x435px) Image search: [Google]
ek.jpg
38KB, 395x435px
>>49639781
I want to scale this up a bit and give it the possibility to gain 5th level spells too, would it be too much /tg/?
>>
>>49650515
Martial classes with spellcasting all cap out at 4th level spells. Giving one martial class fifth level spells would be imbalanced, but probably wouldn't break anything.

Are you a player or a dm?
>>
>>49650540
dm for 3-4 months
>>
>>49650540
well i guess i forgot the ranger and arcane trickster
>>
>>49650540
well maybe i could the ek an extra cantrip? the arcanbe trickster starts with 3 and goes to 4 where the ek only gets 3-2
>>
Im a long time DM and my group of newbies are about to hit their first proper town.

What are your quintessential urban encounters, DM's of /tg/? So far im thinking fortune tellers, witnessing an exotic dance troupe, a trip to the gambling den to get cheated out of money... Give me your best ones.
>>
>>49650746

made a new thread
>>
>>49650749
Ratmen thieves guild
Thread posts: 363
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.