[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Warhammer 40k rpg thread~~!!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 334
Thread images: 32

File: Warhams The RPG (dead).jpg (23KB, 345x146px) Image search: [Google]
Warhams The RPG (dead).jpg
23KB, 345x146px
God-Emperor Provides edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! Rampage of the Nerds! (V1.1.9) (Mechanicus for Only War)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dmylf4f40eslea9

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! Relax! Have Fun With It! (V1.7.15) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5lqt5r2wel6w25q

>dead thread
>>49583589

What shit have you pulled that suckered your GM and btfo'd whatever plans he had for the game that day?
>>
Asking again but does anyone have the premade characters for Black Crusade?
>>
>>49615748
>Show up for 2nd session ever of OW
>All excited to be an artillery spotter sarge and do forward observing operations innawoods
>"Good news guardsmen! You've been given a special assignment to help with peacekeeping efforts in the local hive!"
>"Sir this is an artillery unit, what am I going to keep the peace with, teargas bombardments?"
>"Not exactly..."
>MFW half the ammunition given to us is napalm rounds
>And we've been stationed to the lower hive where apparently there's enough overhead room to fire mortar bombardments

Whelp, this can only end well
>>
>What shit have you pulled that suckered your GM and btfo'd whatever plans he had for the game that day?
I'm the GM, but one of my players was to face to face with a renegade psyker in a small room, and pulled out a krak grenade and blew himself and the psyker into a million pieces. He was the Sergeant and had all the navigation equipment, so now the rest of the squad is stuck in the middle of the city with no map. Good times.
>>
>>49615868
Aren't there a few for some of the adventures in the books? What sort of premades are you talking about? PC or NPC?
>>
>>49615870
Remember, the ones who riot are heretics. The ones to stand with you are loyal.
>>
File: I Am The Law.gif (166KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
I Am The Law.gif
166KB, 500x281px
>>49615748
>that feeling when you push the limits of your authority, up to and including countermanding an inquisitorial authority
>that feel when you need to make a -20 Command check to bully nobles into doing what you tell them to
>tfw on the reroll, you roll a 11
>tfw the mutants, the nobles, the Inquisition is not the law
>tfw I AM the law
I am waiting for this to blow up in my face, but right now, I'm running shit, and I couldn't be fucking happier.
If my plan works out right, I'll have chummied up to the local head tech adept (fucker has TWO CASTALLEX with him), get a munitorum forge underneath my thumb, make inroads with yet another noble family on this world to use later, and gain the services of a mutant army, on top of finding out where the saboteurs that caused all this shit are from.
GM, I know you read these threads.
Try and stop me.
>>
>>49616002
you're missing the part where it's the underhive.

Last bombardment killed over 8500 civilians in the ensuing firestorm.

The local arbites said it was the finest riot suppression theyve ever seen. Those wacky arbites just love their fire support, especially after we trained them how to properly use spotter lingo.
>>
File: 1403976044210.jpg (142KB, 416x418px) Image search: [Google]
1403976044210.jpg
142KB, 416x418px
Will a game of Only War where your party is a group of armsmen on a voidship work?
>>
File: 1376928005441.gif (423KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1376928005441.gif
423KB, 640x480px
>RT groups goes to a feudal world
>Find out the western tribes worship "The Four Winds"
>Report it to Imperial authorities, deciding it's heresy, but then decide why wait?
>Bombard the western tribe's regions with macro cannons until they're out of ammo and there's a dust cloud with a radius of hundreds of miles
>congratulate themselves on their genocide
>>
>>49616068
>8500 dead
So the modern-day equivalent of 1 rioter dying in New York? (Assuming that Hive World has a population of 85 billion)
>>
>>49616161
>not making planetfall and amazing the locals with the power of the Emperor such as the magical powers of a laspistol
>not using their amazement and shattered worldviews to conver them and reporting to the Imperial Authorities as an Imperial World to be
>>
>>49616161
What a fucking waste of money.
Those morons don't deserve their Warrant.
>>
>>49616202
>>not using their amazement and shattered worldviews to conver them and reporting to the Imperial Authorities as an Imperial World to be
The planet was already part of the Imperium, but the Imperium largely forgot about them. The Rogue Trader was hired to make sure they hadn't gone separatist during the Imperium's lack of contact.
>>
>>49616250
>not making planetfall and amazing the locals with the power of the Emperor such as the magical powers of a laspistol
>not using their amazement and shattered worldviews to convert them
>not appointing a trusted member of your crew as Planetary Governor
Fixed it.
>>
>>49616250
>>49616280
Well, now they have the opportunity to populate the planet with people they don't want to genocide on a whim.
>>
>>49616280
>not using their amazement and shattered worldviews to convert them
>not appointing a trusted member of your crew as Planetary Governor
I have no excuse for them not trying to convert the western tribes with laspistols. But they did decide that the king of the largest kingdom, as the Administratum appointed planetary governor, should remain the planetary governor.
>>
>>49616341
>But they did decide that the king of the largest kingdom, as the Administratum appointed planetary governor, should remain the planetary governor.
You mean the guy they killed?
>>
>>49616361
No, his capital was just outside of the dust cloud. They blew the ever loving shit out of the western regions of the continent.
The man will probably have a ton of ecological fallout to deal with though.
>>
>>49616019
I don't need to stop you, I need only teach you that power comes with a price.
>>
>>49616765
Yeah, probably gonna get yelled at by my boss, but he should have picked up the damn vox.
Now, the (arguably) most likely one in the group to flagrantly abuse power is in charge.
At least I'm not kidnapping children like the sororitas. You DO know about the sororitas = pedophiles meme, right? That's why she was getting (and will continue to get) jabs?
>>
Does Wolph42's RPMapTool framework have 2e rules? I don't know if plain Dark Heresy means 1e or 2e.
>>
>>49616868
Yeah I know that. God Emperor help her if she loses sight of that girl for a second.
>>
>>49615943
The premade PCS for the demo. I think a couple may have come with the special edition of the core book as well.
>>
In DH2 when using the psyker power Dominate, does the action from the power occur on the psykers turn or the targets turn?

Please post references.
>>
>>49617191
They aren't in the OP?
>>
>>49617375
From how it is worded, they preform the actions on their turn as the psyker gives the mental commands on the psyker's turn. In effect, it overrides what they were going to do with whatever simple command the psyker wants them to do.
>>
>>49617375
As someone playing a Telepath, this >>49617432

Puppet Master uses the caster's actions and so works on the caster's turn, Dominate robs the target of their turn, forcing them to spend their actions on the command. As a GM when I Dominate players I also like to give free action Willpower tests at like a -20 to recover a half action, because otherwise an NPC psyker could just keep slapping an entire party with the spell and I'm not a fan of robbing a player of their turn entirely.
>>
>>49617397
For some reason I thought Broken Chains was something else. So yes it has the premade PCs for the Demo, but does anyone have the ones that came with the Special edition of the Black Crusade core book?
>>
>>49617967
I'm assuming they aren't a world eater marine and a human psyker.
>>
I know I'm asking for the ultimate heresy but does anyone have any good ideas for Khorne aligned psychic powers? I'm doing a campaign where I'm taking some inspiration from Abnett and making Chaos feel more mysterious and otherworldly. Khorne hating magic in Fantasy doesn't really translate well into 40K where he's okay with bioweapons and bombing planets from orbit.
>>
>>49618006
>I'm assuming they aren't a world eater marine and a human psyker.
No, one of the premade PCs that came with the special edition was a Thousand Son Sorcerer.
>>
File: 1424633058947.jpg (123KB, 572x303px) Image search: [Google]
1424633058947.jpg
123KB, 572x303px
>>49618048
>Khorne-aligned psychic powers

That's a massive break from the lore-

>I'm doing a campaign where I'm taking some inspiration from Abnett and making Chaos feel more mysterious and otherworldly
>mfw
>>
>>49618048
I like you Anon. My headcanon (not real canon etc), is that being a Psyker is fine. As long as you're not a coward, and you being a Psyker isn't a crutch. Khornates cannonically use rituals to summon Daemons and get Khornes favour so the line blurs in established lore itself.

For power ideas, I'd say things that supplement slaughter and mayhem but can't and won't do it by themselves. None of the powers would hit for damage or anything of a sort, because that makes you a massive pussy. They'd force WP checks and force frenzy on failure, grant Hatred talents and positive modifiers in combat. But these things would affect the Psyker as well and work in an Aura around him. The Psyker will be leaping into the fray and ripping people apart alongside his agents, and he'll probably forget to cast any additional powers because halfway through his incantation his eyes started bleeding and they'd only stop if he ripped a mans skull in half, ooh look a man over there!

As a side note, if this is BC I'd count it as an act of infamy (or whatever they're called), to use these powers on Psykers, and force Astropaths and the like to kill oneanother, gives 1 Infamy Point or something.
>>
>>49618048
Maybe look at any fluff for the Slaughter Priest? They're kinda paladin-y, their "magic" just being buffs and stuff.
>>
Khorne hating psykers has always felt dumb to me. It made sense in FaBa when wizards were book reading nerds and Khorne was all about manly slaughter and it kinda worked when 40k was just Fantasy in Space.

But now since all it takes to be psyker is being born as one, there's not much reason why one couldn't get so angry that they literally burst in flames and vomit lava over everyone nearby. But for some reason Khorne doesn't like that.

It would make sense if Khorne was supposed to also handle duties of Malal in 40k and be manifestation of Chaos' inevitable march towards annihilation of all. But he isn't, he's just angry and doesn't like wizards.
>>
>>49616019
>TWO CASTALLEX

How have you not executed him for heresy? AI is evil.
>>
>>49620075
Anon, it's not AI.
>>
the RT party I'm a player in just captured a pirate vessel. We're going to assign our own officers, astropaths and navigators to the ship, and then I'm going to run a spinoff campaign around that ship exploring a different part of the sector to our flagship.

What kind of problems (and good things) come from having a crew of ex-pirates?
>>
>>49620396
Constant threat of mutiny, obviously a much more tense situation of control. Have events where leadership of the vessel is threatened and such. Also if this ship definitely is working under the RT's name and papers, stereotypical pirating will no longer be an option, so that may be another struggle to reign in the ex-pirates who still want to loot and plunder.
>>
>>49620478
I've gathered that the ship was originally some kind of officially-sanctioned treasure-hunting expedition. MIght have been under another trader, might have been some kind of weird joint navy-mechanicus thing. Need to ask the primary GM more.
>>
>>49620109

Anon, justification is the first step to corruption. It doesn't use sanctioned doctrinas wafers. It has a brain. It's evil and heretical. Enjoy your eventual Black Crusade game.
>>
>>49618084

Technically Sorcery is what Khorne hates, warp-given powers are okay.

Not quite sure where the separation is in 40k, I guess it's about reliance/dedication to such powers that qualifies such as sorcery.
>>
>>49618048
Old witchhunter codex had a power called hand of the emperor or something like that that basically gave you an imperial-ki power fist. Or check DH1 biomancy powers.
>>
File: bclosingobernablescultists.jpg (236KB, 1200x546px) Image search: [Google]
bclosingobernablescultists.jpg
236KB, 1200x546px
I love Black Crusade.
>>
>>49621803
I love Black Crusade stories. Share your tales with me, anons?
>>
>>49616149
Yes
>>
>>49616149
Yes and no. Yes, it will work mechanically, thematically it will need tweaking. Armsmen aren't soldiers, they're security officers, handing out brutal punishment in the name of Space Law and making sure that order is maintained. Half or more of the game would be about patrolling the corridors and dealing out summary shotgun-butt beatings to lazy or insubordinate ratings, or making sure the press-ganger containment areas are nice and secure. Sure, there's the occasional boarding action or Black Holds attack, or discovering a hidden chaos cult, but it would be more similar to Dark Heresy than Only War overall.
>>
>>49621803

I'll type some down, till then here's the story behind my current party.

Basically the idea is if General Sturm at the end of the novel Traitor General hadn't gone full retard and lol repentanced himself. Instead he stayed traitor and became the de facto general of the Sons of Set and personally leads a squad of them against the Imperium. The three subordinates are a former black legion sorcerer who acts as his bodyguard/adviser, a speedy guerrilla fighter with multiple personality disorder who swaps out his masks to suit such, and a giant heavy weapons guy.

We'd intended to play the concept straight, but within two sessions we started playing up the personalities and egos so much that we became a band of endlessly yelling cartoon characters. At some point we started wearing the banners of defeated regiments as sashes...
>>
>>49616324
There's a dust cloud visible from space, re-population isn't going to be an option for a while
>>
I don't know too much about 40k, but 40k campaigns always seem to have some of the best stories and I'd really like to give one a try.

What system would you recommend for someone who knows more about the Slaugth or the Rak'gol than the Eldar and is probably going to aim for Dark Heresy or Only War regardless of what you say?
>>
>>49623559
Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader.
>>
I have been thinking of 'revamping' the first edition of Dark Heresy with post-Black Crusade rules.

The essence of that would be keeping the Homeworld, Background Packages, Careers and Alternate Careers (and their ranks), Elite Advances and the like more or less intact, while reducing the skillset, weapon training and changing the combat rules.

I don't know what to do about equipment acquisition, however. It's obvious that the Thrones system is really bad, but I'm unsure as to what to replace it with.
Is there any interest for something like this?
>>
>>49623806

Abstract monetary system ala Rogue Trader that's explained as requisitions from HQ being fulfilled to varying degrees based on a combination of politics, renown, luck and availability?
>>
>>49623806
Dude, you're basically describing Dark Heresy 2e.
>>
>>49623884
Dark Heresy 2E lacks codified Careers, and Background Packages are very limited.

>>49623878
I suppose Rogue Trader's system would be the best replacement, yeah.
>>
>>49623913
codified careers suck though
>>
Would I be gimping myself if I played a blank Commissar?
>>
>>49623989
.....ehhhhhhh maybe. It is a little hard to police psykers when they hate you.
>>
>>49623989
Considering that being a blank nerfs your Fellowship, and a Commissar's number one most crucial skill is Command, yes, you would be. Also, a pariah in the Schola would be yanked for the Culexis temple in fairly short order.
>>
File: image.jpg (93KB, 1678x937px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93KB, 1678x937px
I like this look at decided to base a character on it, figured highborn was fitting, playing around with backgrounds and roles and thought mutant sounded fun.

I rolled a couple of times on the table, got extra arms first and big scary teeth second, I know you generally don't get to choose but I was juggling for ideas. So what sounds coolest, and extra arm hidden under the coat or big teeth, possibly with a freaky messed up looking mouth hidden under the mask. Planning on playing her as very proud of her name and very ashamed of her deformities. Prefers to hide it from the rest of the group and struggles with balancing acting to her station and keeping a low profile, especially since her pride doesn't sit well with letting people take her for a common person. I'm thinking the inquisitor took her in instead of putting her down as a way to have some leverage over her family other than being from the Inquisition, or he was nice and knows them, I dunno.

Anyway, teeth or extra arm, what sounds coolest/works best with the character. Teeth seem coolest to me, but extra arm will probably come in handy later game with a higher CB, since she her stats lend themselves very well to going full High speed gunslinger as high agility, plus unnatural agility from the start trait and is weak and frail as shit and innept in close combat, WS, S and T all being in the 20s. Leaning towards the arm because I rolled that first. Also, rate the concept I guess, does it seem like a fun character to play with?

Side note, she has 40 fellowship, so mutant party face is and option for the time being.
>>
Shouldn't Enginseers start out with an Omnissian Axe?
>>
>>49624045

Mileena from Mortal Kombat?
>>
>>49624053
Are you an FFG writer trying to buff the AdMech even more?
>>
>>49624045
>Highborn
>Extra arm and big teeth
>GENESTEALER DETECTED
Worry not, citizen. Assistance for your unfortunate condition is on its way. Your suffering will soon be over.
>>
File: 1474752760803.png (487KB, 525x641px) Image search: [Google]
1474752760803.png
487KB, 525x641px
>>49624045
>Extra arm and big teeth
>>
How does one find 40k RPG groups?

I love my usual tabletop group but they only really want 5e.
>>
>>49624034
>>49624035
Speaking of Blanks, are there any rules for limiters in any of the game lines? I ask because I remember one in Ravenor using a limiter.
>>
>>49624070
I didn't think about it initially, but when the big teeth came up, yeah they would have similarities.

>>49624075
>>49624090
Literally hivemind
>>
>>49624154
Gamefinder or convince people to give the games a try.
>>
>>49624183

RT, DH1, DH2 all have blank rules.
>>
>>49624755
Yes but I can't find rules for the limiters
>>
File: Psychic Barber.jpg (57KB, 606x536px) Image search: [Google]
Psychic Barber.jpg
57KB, 606x536px
>>49624772

There are no rules for blank limiters. The closest you have is buying different levels of blankness.
>>
File: 3873164493_1ef7dcc631.jpg (80KB, 500x239px) Image search: [Google]
3873164493_1ef7dcc631.jpg
80KB, 500x239px
>GM uses the money system
>I luck into some cash
>Buy myself a storm bolter while everyone else still has Chainaxes/Boltguns

I feel so dirty
>>
>>49625290
A storm bolter isn't that much different from a regular bolter, anon. For 9 thousand-ish thrones you could've got something better.
>>
File: Commissar 'Still Alive'.jpg (145KB, 1200x542px) Image search: [Google]
Commissar 'Still Alive'.jpg
145KB, 1200x542px
It stuns me that my players are still alive today with the way they've been handling combat. They've ended up dealing themselves more critical damage than all enemy encounters combined, but somehow always manage to mop the floor with every enemy I've thrown at them. Even the Space Marine in the party reached +6 critical wounds at one point.

In any case, anybody got some pointers on how to run a Genestealer Cult campaign? I'm not terribly familiar with the multi-dimensional plots some people can come up with, and I'm not sure my players can handle having to not shoot shit every 10 seconds.
>>
>>49625550
>They've ended up dealing themselves more critical damage than all enemy encounters combined,
Explosives?
>>
>>49625705
yes
>>
>>49626178
Are they tossing explosives into melee or is scatter fucking them over that hard?
>>
>>49618084
To split hairs, you CAN have Psychic shit happen around Khornate Champions, but it's almost always 100% with the intention of getting close and fucking the enemy up.

Khornate Daemons also unleash Warp energy and engage in fuckery to get into the material realm, so they DO use it to an extent. It's just a side affect to them or a means to an end, though.
>>
>>49627241
There are also rituals and such in BC, though anybody can do them with the know-how.
>>
I'm preparing to run an Only War game that will have my PCs as a tank crew in a Russ.

Any tips from those who have done this? Enemies will include Chaos, Orks and Nids, probably culminating in a 4 way FFA depending on where things go.
>>
>>49627299
If the tank isn't dying as fast as expected, that is fine. The Russ is one of the tougher vehicles in the line.

Just remember that the battle cannon for the russ is more suited for destroying blobs of infantry than actual anti-vehicle duty as that is what a hull-mounted lascannon is for.
>>
>>49627352
Noted. My PCs have rolled up their regiment but haven't picked their tank yet or customized it so I'm not entirely sure how that is going to work out.

I intend to take a 'You're free to dig your own graves' approach and wing it from there so it should be... interesting.
>>
So, how is the Lascannon? One of my players has used his Enginseer's exp to gain Heavy Weapon training and is going to requisition one for himself.

I must know just how useful/how much havoc he shall wreck upon the foul Greenskins.
>>
>>49627396
If you or the players aren't aware of it, there are vehicle upgrades near the end of Shield of Humanity that they could use.

>>49627417
Deletes 1 ork per turn if it hits. 25 damage at minimum with pen 10 is not something that is easy to survive. Use it on the bigger, more important targets.
>>
my group of Acolytes turned our Inquisitor to Chaos he hates us so much (he wants to find something reallllly horrible to do to us) and accidentally caused a rift to the Warp to open after trying to stop a nuclear meltdown with a Void Bomb... though we're gonna blame that on some secessionists.... how screwed are we?
>>
>>49627417
The lascannon is the best one-target damage machine in the game, aside from certain exotic weapons. It will vaporize any humanlike target in one shot, and can one or two shot MEQ Elites with True Grit. Light vehicles, likewise, will vaporize within three shots. But. This is a big but. It's heavy, unwieldly, the furthest thing from subtle, and only has a handful of shots. It also only fires once at one target, each turn.
>>
>>49627446
So you managed to get your inqusititor so pissed at you that he turned to Chaos? What?
>>
>>49627471
well... we were captured by some communist revolutionary's and he wanted us to kills ourselves, we said no as we wanted to infiltrate them.... he took exception to that
>>
How do silencers work? It says Awareness tests to hear the shots take a -20 and only work at half the distance, but I'm not sure how that works exactly.
>>
>>49627562
It works on 'how loud do you think this gun is and how far the sound from it firing travels, then cut it in half'.
>>
>>49627606
That feels overly complicated.
>>
>>49627611
Just base it off of weapon range, maybe adjusting for class i.e. basic is 1x, pistol is .5x, heavy is 1.5x.
>>
>>49627637
Oh, good point! Thanks anon.
>>
>>49627417
Remember it is extremely heavy and the ammo is also extremely heavy.
>>
>>49627676
There is a sound table in the DH2e core rule book for weapon noise on page 148.
>>
>>49625030
Graviton Singularity Cannon in the fringe is yours has no range statted.
>>
File: 1361013649071.jpg (59KB, 617x717px) Image search: [Google]
1361013649071.jpg
59KB, 617x717px
>on a Necromunda FB page
>in a post about weapon options, one guy starts complaining about shotguns being OP in DH
>says he never uses his and instead dual wields daggers for the cool factor
>wut
>he then complains about how he was foraging for a power weapon "all session"
>only just fucking started playing

That's not how you RPG, and jesus christ that GM is going soft on them...
>>
>>49628101
Shotguns can be really OP in Dark Heresy, though.

If you get one with Semi or Full auto rate of fire, you completely destroy everything.

If you were a Psyker and had pre-Errata Unnatural Aim and a Full auto shotgun, you made mincemeat out of everything.
>>
>>49628181
No, it's just a matter of situations and enemies.

>first session have a corpse with a mark of Nurgle
>when the buboes making the mark pop, the corpse reanimates
>thing has unnatural toughness and bloated wounds
>one char dumps all three shots from a combat shotgun point blank into the thing
>still standing

Also the range is pretty crucial too, if they're not getting into short and point blank they're not getting their bonuses.

>pre-Errata
So it doesn't work any more, they fixed it.
>>
>>49628219
So your example of how shotguns aren't op relies on a supernaturally tough foe.
Huh.
>>
>>49628219
>short and point blank
Ah, you're talking about second edition? Sorry, my group disbanded before I had a chance to play it.

I'd say 2E shotguns are much wimpier compared to 1E shotguns. Not OP at all.
>>
>>49628242
Did you even read the rest of my post?
>situations and enemies
That was an example of an enemy, yes, but there are plenty of situations.

>>49628251
This is why we talk about 1e being horribly outdated, even archaic.
>>
Are the bog standard shotguns in DH2 the same double barreled ones as in the original DH? Just trying to visualize a highborn assassin with a shotgun.
>>
>>49628276
DH2 shotguns are pump-action.
>>
>>49628264
DH2 is a step in the right direction, but they've yet to fix some other issues, such as how strong Accurate still. Accurate is arguably more strong than Scatter in the past.
>>
>>49628324
It's still on the whole a much better system, and all the good plot and campaign bits of 1e can just be ported over anyway.
>>
>>49628350
I mostly just combine the best bits of both systems and throw in a few home brew rules, a popular one is the ability to spend a fate point to reverse a fucking stupid decision immediately after it happened
>>
>>49628371
>a popular one is the ability to spend a fate point to reverse a fucking stupid decision
But mate, that's what Telepathy is for. Curious though, what are some examples of this?
>>
>>49625290
Isn't that like 32 thrones a shot?
>>
File: 1362452645994.png (41KB, 197x204px) Image search: [Google]
1362452645994.png
41KB, 197x204px
>>49625290
>GM uses the money system
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>49628407
He spent 9k buying a storm bolter, 32 is pocket change.
>>
>>49628392
*Cleric walks out of cover with Inquisitorial rosette towards people with plasma guns he thinks are friendly despite everyone telling him not to, gets shot at by plasma guns, uses fate point to NOT walk out of cover towards people with Plasma guns*
>>
>>49628452
Then you're not punishing player stupidity, sounds like a shitty system.
>>
>>49628452
I can't tell if this is something that happened or something you thought up as an example.
>>
>>49625290
>money system inDH1
>cleric starting cash is 300+ thrones

Turns out you can buy a LOT of grenades for that money.
>>
>>49628464
it happened, the people with Plasma guns had just shot at some heretics who had the party pinned, turns out they were non heretical separatists

>>49628463
oh they are punished, what I don't tell them is I make the next situation WORSE for them than it would have been, in the above example, previously they would have been taken prisoner, but now the separatists know who they are, and will carry out Enhanced Interrogation on them
>>
>>49628470
>that one fucking guy that picked Noble Born or Famulous Protege just for the dosh
>>
>>49628493
>what I don't tell them
So then they don't know they have been punished and will continue to make stupid mistakes, instead of smartening up and consulting with each other before each decision. Don't give them a cop-out mechanic like that, just fucking let them die for mistakes as stupid as that.
>>
>>49628517
they can cop out twice, maybe three times, each, and another house rule is you can only burn fate if you have fate left to spend, that has killed more than a few PC's in firefights
>>
>>49628517
and of course they can't reverse decisions IN firefights or during pivotal events
>>
>>49628536
>>49628550
Yet they're still making enough stupid decisions to warrant this cop-out rule?
>>
>>49628504

It could be worse. It could be the Mr. Moneybags joke build in Only War.
>>
>>49628560
they actually learnt quickly, and if it is SPECTACULARLY, such as charging over open ground towards a Heavy Stubber, I won't let them, it keeps the game more fun and less brutal
>>
>>49628595
>charging over open ground towards a Heavy Stubber
Jesus christ just how batshit dumb are your players?
>>
>>49628589
>Mr. Moneybags
Can you explain that one to me?
>>
>>49628610
he was an infamous power gamer who joined out group late on and tried to take advantage of the rule, partly implemented to make the game more forgiving to new players, he suffered for it
>>
>>49628589
I'm assuming this involves trying to get your Logistics rating as high as possible?
>>
File: Jewish Piano.jpg (24KB, 580x470px) Image search: [Google]
Jewish Piano.jpg
24KB, 580x470px
>>49628611
>>49628961

Yeah, the one time I played Only War, a friend made a character that did nothing but take the logistics boost talent. It got progressively more expensive, so he just bought that one talent until he inevitably burned all his fate and died. Since RAW the Logistics doesn't go away at the character's death, he was then able to make a new character that was competent in combat while we were set up with an "inheritance" equaling the International Monetary Fund. We all laughed, let it slide, and then the GM said "Never again."

We had other names for the "build," since it involved acquiring money and then dying, but those are better fit for /pol/.
>>
>>49629212
Aw, c'mon. Tell me the names. Your pic got me really interested now.
>>
>>49629212
... Damn. I was hoping for an actual playable build.
>>
File: Sesame Street Vile Jew Sorcery.jpg (35KB, 605x558px) Image search: [Google]
Sesame Street Vile Jew Sorcery.jpg
35KB, 605x558px
>>49629412

Emissary of the Jewish Vatican (Emissary), The Passover Sacrifice, G-d's Whipping Bitch, that sort of thing.

>>49629422

I'm reasonably certain that trying to build an Uncle Schlomo Shekelstein yourself will make your GM kick you out. Besides, if you do take that talent, it's better that everyone take it early so the XP cost is calculated simultaneously rather than sequentially. If everyone takes Munitorum Influence at the same time, I'm reasonably sure you can exploit the XP cost.
>>
>>49629531
>>49629422
I thought it was some combo of munchkining Commerce up as high as possible ASAP and nabbing appropriate Peers and then abusing Commerce spam to raise your effective influence stat. That's where my mind went.
>>
>>49629531
That's hilarious.

I'm totally going to do it.

Gonna make a Regiment dedicated solely to Jewry.

Highborn for sure.
>>
File: 1405620588660.png (9KB, 405x344px) Image search: [Google]
1405620588660.png
9KB, 405x344px
>hiding behind cover, poppin servitors
>motherfucking multi-melta wielding shithead gets a shot off at close range
>only survive because it happened to hit a location in cover and absorb some of the horrifying damage
>left with 4 wounds and a GM ruling that my power armor leg is now non existant

My legs are OK.
>>
File: Sesame Street Star Wars Jew.png (645KB, 704x477px) Image search: [Google]
Sesame Street Star Wars Jew.png
645KB, 704x477px
>>49629570

In Only War, I believe it is the Medic that can become the ultimate jew, since their aptitudes match up perfectly for commerce and barter skill aptitudes. The Sergeant is best for an Emissary build though, since its aptitudes match up to the Munitorum Influence talent. So you can start with those two ideally.
>>
>>49629603
>>49629659
Screw it, I'm going to make an entire regiment of Space Jews!
>>
>>49629636
>multi-melta at close range
>surviiving
Let me guess, you're playing Deathwatch.
>>
>Think up an OW Regiment for the group
>Highborn
>Heavy Recon

Mechanized Hussars. Because fuck you, Sentinel Walkers need wings and nobles insulting poor people with 18th Century slurs.
>>
>>49629857
black crusade actually, it was a calculated risk but man was I bad at math, I didn't realize he had overwatched when I moved to that corner.

if it hadn't had to go through 10 ap of cover by striking my left leg I probably would have been on the upper end of the crit chart.
>>
>>49628276
Typically portrayed as pump action/slow semi-auto shotguns that can only fire one shot per round.
>>
>>49629804
JEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWSSSS

INNNNNNN

SPAAAAACEEEEEE

>WE'RE JEWS

>WE'RE JEWS IN SPACE

>...

>WE'RE FLYING ALONG, DEFENDING THE HE-BREW RACE
>>
>>49627417
While a lascannon destroys most infantry in 1 hit, a multilaser would be much more useful, especially after getting the talents that boost las weapons.
>>
>>49631000

Or you can just get an autocannon and never worry ever again since you have the most powerful weapon in the game. Only the storm bolter with special ammo and biocorrosive rotor cannon can stand up to it.
>>
>>49631048
You can't recharge autocannon mags with luminen capacitors.
>>
I've got what may be a dumb question, but I'm new to the 40k RPGs and it seems odd to me.

How do you explain failed requisition tests in Dark Heresy (2e)? Are the PCs are refused service? Are there simply none of the requested items available?

>PC enters a weapons store
>"I am an acolyte of the Inquisition, and to fulfill my most holy duties in service to the Emperor, I require a laspistol. Unfortunately, I have none of the local currency since I have recently arrived on your world, but know that your show of faith in providing the needed item shall not go unrewarded."
>failed requisition roll
>"Fuck off you wanker."

Or worse, it plays out like the Monty Python cheese shop sketch.
>>
>>49628295
>>49630806
Aight, was thinking it would be fitting for my highborn to use an ornate double barreled thing like rich people use to gun down birds. If they were still tge double barreled things from DH1. Are ornate hunting pump actions a thing? Google doesn't seem to be particularly helpful but that might just be phoneposting.
>>
>>49631244
>Are the PCs are refused service? Are there simply none of the requested items available?
Yes.

Also, for your example...
>PC outright stating they're part of the Inquisition to a random shopkeep
Nuh-uh, that's kinda dumb. Our group actually doesn't RP acquiring gear, we just quickly roll it before/after a session. There are a lot of scenarios a PC does or doesn't get an item, it just bloats out a session if you try to RP it.
>>
>>49631302
I'd assume so, seeing as there are ornate 20 shot revolvers.
>>
>>49631352
So the roll is more abstract than specific? Ok, I can get behind that. Thanks!
>>
>>49631421
Yeah for sure, Influence itself is a very abstract wealth mechanic. It's not specifically tied to the Inquisition, an ex-Rogue Trader bodyguard, say, might have high Influence from their old contacts, and knowing where/how they can tap into more exclusive trading deals. An ex-Administratum character might know about the common locations and routes of supplies through his sector, and be generally good at commerce. Really, there are only seldom few times an acolyte will reveal that they are part of the Inquisition, and the ones who go bursting onto a planet expecting their status to get them everything usually end up dead pretty quickly.
>>
Question, playing this with friends in person, as the GM. Been using my surface pro to draw out maps for combat, enemies etc. Issue is it looks and feels a little stale. Anyone doing anything interesting on that front?

Im considering making some paper cutouts from GW miniature images and using them for the bad guys. Only issue is having something for the PCs as half of them don't exactly fit an actual miniature
>>
>>49631400
I guess related to this subject.

As GMs would you let players spend aquisition rolls on getting their start weapons a higher quality? Low level shit like revolvers and shotguns.
>>
File: W8809_TAR-9212.jpg (196KB, 508x271px) Image search: [Google]
W8809_TAR-9212.jpg
196KB, 508x271px
>>49631302
>Are ornate hunting pump actions a thing?
Presenting Exhibit A for the jury, courtesy of Google.
>>
>>49631733
You don't have any minis at all?
>>
>>49631787
I mean, honestly? If they come to me and say "I want to start with [Gear], because [Decent Reasoning]", I'll say "Sure, fill in whatever on your sheet, it's up to you to make it useful, though. A Ex-Guard post-apocalyptic grunting madman deserves a good leather jacket and custom Unreliable shotgun. Or possibly a pip-boy, depending on what flavor of post-apocalyptic grunting madman you're going for. As long as it's reasonable and logical for the character background, go fucking nuts and fill a fucking steamer trunk full of miscellaneous low tier gear, but then you get to figure out how the hell you plan to transport it and do so subtly.
But then I mostly GM RT and OW, what do I know?
>>
>>49616247
Fucking this, that wasn't even slightly exploitative.

>>49621803
Agreed, if you can get a good group it's by far one of the most fun and purposefully, ridiculously edge-tastic experiences.
>>
>>49623185
>At some point we started wearing the banners of defeated regiments as sashes...
Metal as FUCK
>>
>>49631048
The amount of dakka a storm bolter can bring to the table is sickening, as is the amount of dice you get to roll (though it's nothing compared to an integrated assault cannon).
>>
>>49631983

I have some, but none appropriate for actually playing DH. Like ive got some marines, some tau, from way back. (I play shit like infinity now)
>>
>>49632258
Don't got any lego to use?
>>
>>49632258
It doesn't matter, we've even played with Pathfinder and Bones minis. Just pick a defining characteristic, piece of gear or whatever, have you never played an RPG before?
>>
>>49632112
In OW and 2e, storm only goes up to the weapon's firing rate, not double it.
>>
>>49632308
Wow, that's one hell of a nerf.
>>
>>49632007
I was thinking in the vein of a highborn assassin with a shotgun having a particularly snazzy one from the wall over the fireplace back in the palace, then spending an aquisition roll at the beginning of the first session to make it high quality to mechanically represented in the game that it is an expensive custom job handed down for generations.
>>
>>49632293
Yeah but feels shit to be using random ads miniatures that don't fit. It is mostly our first actual rpg, we're all huge nerds but it's taken organising to get to the rpg stage.

Are colour printouts such an awful idea?
>>
>>49632390
Honestly, my group just has a whiteboard on the table we play on and we just use dry erase markers to draw stuff out simply. Your imagination fills in the gaps.
>>
>>49632390
They aren't bad, but they're more effort. If you have enough imagination any old minis should really do.
>>
File: 1384419233990.jpg (168KB, 482x482px) Image search: [Google]
1384419233990.jpg
168KB, 482x482px
How does telescopic sight affect scatter?
>>
>>49633850
It doesn't.
>>
>>49633856
I figured it was probably a waste of aquisition, but I'm grasping at straws for shit to spend rolls on during character creation that are both somewhat useful and actually something you could get on a 30 influence, since everything useful seems to be scarce, so that's a -30. I guess I could get more solid projectile guns just to have something for every occasion.
>>
Any official or homebrewn rules for bolt action rifles?
>>
>>49634098
There's the Fykos Forge "Nomad" Hunting Instrument from Inquisitor's Handbook for Dark Heresy 1st Edition and if you want something a bit more advanced there's the Lucius-pattern lasgun used by the Death Korps of Krieg in Only War: Hammer of the Emperor which functions something like a las-bolt action as it works by having one bigger capacitor instead of a bunch of smaller ones, necessitating the operator to use singular, well aimed shots (ie only having single fire).
>>
>>49634151
Was thinking DH2, but weapons travel rather well in FFGs fattycake games.
>>
>>49634098
Stub rifle in black crusade core, though why not go with a sniper rifle?
>>
>>49634098
Hunting Rifle in DH1E
>>
>>49633918
What stuff do you already have? And well, there's no real need to roll for anything at chargen, with 30 Influence you get 3 free Scarce or more common items anyway.
>>
>>49634957
>with 30 Influence you get 3 free Scarce or more common items anyway.
What?
>>
>>49635784
Read the book. Page 82.
>>
Gentlemen, how do we fix accurate?
A long las or sniper rifle has no fucking right being almost as good as an autocannon.
>>
So a lore question here. How does chaos travel the warp? They don't have astropaths do they? Do the dark gods help them travel?
>>
Let's say I wanted to run a game where the entire party is Sororitas. Is this possible, and which game would work best for it?
>>
>>49635784
If you go administratum you can even start with rares
Hotshot las rifle and arbites enforcer armour tyvm.
>>
>>49635996
It is possible.
Bogstandard Dark Heresy works well if you involve Orders non-Militant.
You can run Dark Heresy or Only War with some adaptations as a 'deathwatch lite' involving Battle Sisters.
>>
>>49635986

they have navigators and daemon guides
>>
>>49635784
You need to read the chargen properly, I know the layout of the whole process is a bit of a mess but it needs a comprehensive read.

At chargen, you get to pick your Influence bonus in items that are Scarce or more common. I believe this also includes craftsmanship, like getting a Good craftsmanship Common item brings it to a -10, ie. Scarce level. It's super useful, usually the first thing I do is grab some armour, but like for combat characters it helps get that extra gun or melee weapon, for psykers it gets you your psy focus.
>>
I'm going to be playing DH2 soon, and I think Untouchable looks really cool. How do you roleplay one?
>>
>>49636987

everyone gonna hate you mang
>>
File: rank 1 dark heresy.gif (1022KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
rank 1 dark heresy.gif
1022KB, 500x375px
>>49636987
Everyone strongly dislikes you at a minimum.
You have never been willingly chosen for any kind of promotion or reward.
People always assume the worst about your motives. When something goes wrong, people generally assume you are at fault.
Animals probably don't like you. Small children hide from you.
Being almost completely rejected socially, you may have considered being threatening to people to get your way.
This, too, does not work as the fear you inspire is almost never constructive. When you tell someone to give you something "or else", they assume you'll do the "or else" anyway.
If you are incredibly lucky, there may have been one or two people in your life who treated you at least somewhat decently, but you could always tell it was a tremendous strain and that deep down inside, they probably didn't want to have anything to do with you.
It is likely that your parents did not love you, nor made much of an effort to dissuade you of that fact.
In short, you have lived a life almost completely devoid of positive human social interaction. Finding out what you are might be liberating, or it might be horrifying. You might be desperate to please your cell and superiors as your first chance at making contact with humans who can appreciate that it's not your fault they hate you, or you might have become so hardened as to not care about anyone but yourself.
>>
>>49637322
So an adept who just plinks away on a cogitator or a tech-priest who prefers the company of servitors to humans would be good?
>>
So I'm used to running a game as a GM storywise and not worried there, but I'm getting ready to run my first FFG game as Only War after doing mostly Pathfinder and my friend's homebrew in the past.

Any tips on the mechanical side to keep myself sane? This shit seems extremely complicated. Luckily I've played DH with a friend GMing and he'll be a player but I still feel over my head.
>>
I'm thinking about running a DH 2e campaign set in a large lab complex on a Hive in a large hive world. The lab will be staffed by past acolytes of the party's inquisitor. I want a focus on helping scientists with experiments by being test dummies, retrieving artifacts and local citizenry to use as subjects, containing the spread of information about the lab and the experiments themselves. Anyone have any cool ideas for experiments, plot points, or session ideas?
>>
>>49637545
>played Pathfinder
>still thinks Only War is complicated

...are you high or something? Only War is by no means a simple system, but it's most certainly easier to play and run than Pathfinder.
>>
>>49637545
>This shit seems extremely complicated
If you can navigate Pathfinder, you can navigate OW. Pathfinder's kudzu of class, race, and options are an absurdity, OW is nothing next to that. Your first step is: Sit down with the players and walk through regiment creation with them. Offer advice and veto stuff you absolutely do not want, but let them pick things for the most part.

Every character gets the regiment bonuses, so it's crucial to let the players decide what they want, and it shapes what kind of game you play. A Frontier World guerilla sniper regiment plays very differently from Hive World mass infantry plays very differently from Forge World mechanized infantry plays very differently from Shrine World fanatics. Let the players decide, with guidance, what kind of game they want to play.

From there, get your head around Aptitudes. Read them, learn them, love them, they are key to get down. Help your players get their heads around them too.

After that? Time to look into the combat rules, make sure to make battlefields interesting and full of tactical opportunities, push the importance of cover, learn how combat works. Then start examining Talents and Traits closely.

For a starter campaign, go simple. Orks are invading Farmlandia III, or a revolt is happening on HiveWorldia Prime. Stuff like that.
>>
So I'm pretty new to DH and I'm just getting started in a 2e game with a sort of nerdy adepta sororitas gal who is a Crusader.

Don't think it was too terrible but I didn't get the best rolls and post chargen I've got fighty stats of

ws 30
bs 30
s 33
t 24
ag 32

Any recommendations to postpone my inevitable wrecking?
>>
>>49637864
don't get into melee until your toughness bonus is at least 3
seriously your fighty stats suck
>>
>>49637878
Yeah, I know it could have been worse but man don't I know it.

I've got 40 Int, so I may stick to nerdy shit till I can get into fights without getting my face mashed in
>>
>>49637864
Those stats are seriously shit, you may be applicable for a re-roll, depending on the others.

Or you can try to convince your GM to let you re-allocate your stats or use point-buy.
>>
>>49637977
Do you have Intelligence and/or Knowledge as aptitudes?
>>
>>49638228
I've never been one to hem and haw over bad stats, coming from OSR stuff. I'm totally fine dying, I'm just unfamiliar with the system here and looking for some advice to up my longevity a bit so I can at least get an interesting story out of it.

>>49638481
Yep, and the homeworld is research station so I have Pursuit of Data as well
>>
>>49637864
get something with a lot of range so hopefully you can be in short range all the time and get a +10 to BS
Aim
toubleteam if you get into melee
grenades are your friend

you may just want to use an autopistol to pin enemies and let actually fighty characters worry about killing shit
>>
>>49637864
>>49637977
So a Sister Crusader? Crusader has both aptitudes for strength, so that's covered if you want to bash shit. Take Offence as your background aptitude and switch it to Weapon Skill or Intelligence (both are good options since you have Offence and Knowledge from the Crusader). If you chose to take the Intelligence, get yourself an autogun. It's an excellent weapon for mediocre shooters since it has decent range and good for Suppressing Fire which doesn't need a good ballistic skill
>>
>>49638530
If you want to fight in melee, get a shield and the parry skill. They're easy to find and give you good defensive capabilities. Alternatively, Accurate basic weapons are a very easy way to make a 30 BS character have a very high chance to hit - +10 from Half Aim, +10 from Accurate, +10 from Standard Attack, +10 from Short Range and potentially +10 from a Red-Dot Sight.

>>49638590
Now you're able to suppress with semi-auto, so you should get a Laspistol instead, it's 30 suppressions on a single charge pack.
>>
>>49638711
>It's an excellent weapon for mediocre shooters since it has decent range and good for Suppressing Fire which doesn't need a good ballistic skill
You can suppress with Semi-Automatic weapons now. Lasguns are better due their variable setting unless you're going to requisition a lot of special ammo.
>>
>>49638766
>Lasguns are better due their variable setting
Now that I think about it, it has Reliable, 60 shot mag and even cheaper ammo...
This nigger is correct, Lasgun would be better
>>
>>49637800
I never said I was particularly good with Pathfinder
>>
>>49638951
Okay, listen. Just don't let 3.x rot your brain and you'll be fine. When in doubt, refer to the GM screen for difficulties(and other stuff), pick whatever skill is the closest and tell the players to roll. You'll get the hang of it soon enough.
>>
Since poor quality items are effectively a level lower for the porpose of requisition rolls, does that mean your up to scarce starting item could be a poor quality rare item? Say, you wanted to start off with a poor quality missile launcher?
>>
>>49620396
Constant threat of scurvy
>>
>>49639155
>Say, you wanted to start off with a poor quality missile launcher?
You don't want to start with a poor quality missile launcher. Trust me on this one.
>>
>>49639155
Yes. Remember that Poor Craftsmanship items may randomly fail at the GM's discretion or require maintenance/fixing.

That and explode on your face
>>49639205
Listen to this guy
>>
>>49639199
That's what the deliciously tangy ploin fruit is for. Puts a chest on your chest, and all you need is a wet, cool pipe for it to grow over.
>>
>>49638711
Yeah I actually did that, took intelligence and ws due to the double up on offence and knowledge.

>>49638717
>>49638766
Snagged the Laspistol at the start as well
>>
>>49639358
Remember that you can use pistols in melee as well. It may come in handy when you're caught with your pants down with no time to change weapons.
>>
>>49637429
That's not a bad workaround.
>>
>>49639212
>>49639205
I'm being a colossal fag and roling up jinx from lol, as a hive world, outcast desperado. Unreliable heavy stubber and missile launcher, that she can only just carry around. Torn between leaving the armored bodygloce at home and getting expanded magazine for the missile launcher, or getting a combat vest.
>>
>>49637429
Probably. Though I believe the Tech Priests usually do some degree of genetic testing, and would likely catch pariahs along with Psykers and send them off to do other things.
>>
File: 1462311999379.png (3MB, 1344x756px) Image search: [Google]
1462311999379.png
3MB, 1344x756px
>>49640000
>>
>>49640187
being a psychic null is genetic? Why don't they just manufacture more of them to fight chaos then?
>>
>>49640290
Because, have you ever tried getting two soulless shut in introvert autists together and fucking, much less getting another human being to tolerate their clammy touch long enough for sex to take place? Shit is harder than a diamond coated titanium bar reinforced with carbon nanotubes.
>>
>>49640357
what's to stop them from making a female blank into a servitor but retaining its reproductive capabilities and just collecting sperm from male blanks
>>
>>49640357
>Jack off in this tube or else you get a bolter round to the head
>Let us artificially inseminate you or else you get a bolter round to the head
>>
>>49635806
I'd prefer to fix the autocannon
>>
>>49615748
How would homebrew psychic bullets fired from a players hand like a gun?

Would it be sustained to have it active so they wouldnt have to roll phenom every time?

Dark heresy 1e
>>
>>49640916
It's heavy as shit. 40kg and 4kg for each magazine.
>>
>>49640952
He's probably one of those people who think it's okay to ignore the encumbrance rules.
>>
>>49635806
Accurate isn't a problem. It's one hit per turn at most, and is easily solved with heavy soak enemies or cover. It's also easily disrupted by suppressive fire. >>49640916 is right, nerf the autocannon first.
>>
>>49640922
Force bolt or whatever. Psychic powers are manifestations of the psyche so individual beliefs influence the way they look.
>>
>>49641043
>nerf the autocannon first.
You need SB+TB of 7 to carry JUST the autocannon and 1 magazine.

Assuming you min-maxed and started with 40 in both S and T, congratulations, you can now carry an autocannon, 1 magazine and... a suit of guard flak.

It's also ridiculously big and obvious to anyone toting one, reducing its use in Dark Heresy
>>
>>49641043
>>49640916
Remove the Bulging Biceps trait. It's retarded and only serves to break the game as it pretty much lets anyone with it treat Heavy weapons as Basic.
>>
I'm pretty new to the d100 thing, is there such a thing as optimization for only war? Some tips on whats good and whats a trap woud be great.
>>
>>49641293
>for Only War
Trade (Armourer) is one of the best skills in the game, as it lets you customize your shit for free.

Damage is always better than Penetration.

Flamers require no attack roll.

Suppression is king.

Grenades are queen.

Accurate Basic weapons lets characters with low BS hit reliably and with great effect

Lasgun Variable Settings are your friend

Having a great number of Scholastic and Common lores is useless, as the Infused Knowledge trait basically gives you all of them.
>>
>>49641237
For every PC with bulging biceps, I put them against 1.5 enemies with it.
>>
>>49641366
Lets say I want to be the team nanny and take care of everyone's equipment and be in charge of patching everyone up. Are there any good combos to pull that off?
The lasgun idea sounds great as I want to be some sort of nerd with minimum investment in combat stuff.
>>
>>49641408
Just remove it and preserve game balance. There's no reason for it to exist other than to break things.

>>49641424
If your regiment has vehicles, Operator. You have the aptitudes for everything, including patching people up. You will also be a driver.

If your regiment doesn't have a vehicle, Medic.

For minimum combat investment and maximum effectiveness, get a Long Las and a Laspistol. Use the Laspistol to lay down suppressive fire and the Long Las to occasionally damage important targets.
>>
>>49641237
But how are you supposed to make the heavy weapons guys, the John Rambos, the John Matrixes, the wolf brigades and so on and so forth?

All picking bulging biceps has afforded me was getting to waste ammo shooting holes in the air with a heavy stubber like the glorified combat servitor i am instead of spending multiple turns walking my cumbersome cybernetic ass into close combat to catch omnisian power axes with my face. From what i've seen duelwielding pistols or using snipers is much more effective.
>>
>>49641744
That's because the Heavy Stubber is the shittiest possible Heavy Weapon, doing 1 point of damage more than an Autogun with man-stopper rounds.
>>
File: maltek_stalker.jpg (66KB, 353x668px) Image search: [Google]
maltek_stalker.jpg
66KB, 353x668px
Hey, does anyone have any advice for playing something similar to a Maltek Stalker in DH2e? Here's the statline my character has so far.

Homeworld: Forge World
Background: Outcast
Role: Assassin
WS 35
BS 37
S 35
T 36
Ag 38
Int 35
Per 30
WP 33
Fel 27

Also have Tech-Use, Forbidden Lore (Xenos) and Trade (Armourer) on top of starting skills like Stealth and Dodge.
>>
>>49641087
What would the threshold and shit be tho?
>>
>>49642104
Same as force bolt?
>>
File: exactly what this is.jpg (3MB, 2001x2200px) Image search: [Google]
exactly what this is.jpg
3MB, 2001x2200px
>>49640290
Well, fluff has changed, but there used to be references to a "Pariah Gene".
It was engineered into mankind by the C'tan, as part of a long term plan to use humans as a weapon against Chaos and eventually turn Pariahs into their new vanguard servants.

Anyway, because of REASONS, I believe the actual chance to manifest the Pariah Gene is *extremely* rare, even when you have two Pariahs fucking.
I think it's possible to clone them, but I believe the clones won't necessarily manifest the gene properly either.

Also, it's important to remember that the majority of Pariahs are never properly identified. They generally commit suicide at fairly young ages, and are pretty frequently murdered too. Add that to the fact that they're very rare to begin with, and an Inquisitor recruiting a Pariah is really more of a lucky stroke than anything else.

The Imperium doesn't seem to have the same recruitment drive for Pariahs as it does for psykers. The Culexus temple looks for them, but Inquisitor Eisenhorn's idea to have an active training facility for blanks was somewhat novel, iirc.
>>49641408
>>49641237
In DH, the only time my players are going to be walking into a situation with heavy weapons is when they're going to *need* them.
Or when it's a curb stomp situation because they've done a really good job identifying the target, and for some reason time/discretion isn't an issue.
In any case, what do you guys recommend as a stat change for the Auto-cannon?
>>
>>49642772
Remove Bulging Biceps and it's fine. It's big, it's heavy and it requires set-up. Just prevent people from running around running and gunning.

Either that or decrease its availability to match the Lascannon, which is arguably a better weapon, although less flexible.
>>
>>49642772
alter the damage/pen a bit, I'd say exactly how, but I don't have the stats on me at the moment, and maybe make it heavier.
>>
>>49641783
Armageddon-pattern Autogun. So even the +1 DMG argument doesn't count.

Though in it's defense, in RT Explosive bullets exist. Those boost it's damage by 3.
>>
>>49642925
Still, the Heavy Stubber is a very shitty weapon for the Heavy category. It should probably be downscaled to Normal.
>>
>>49643035
I don't disagree, but I'm not really sure where to draw the line between basic and heavy weapons, and weight.
>>
File: sad2.png (34KB, 653x451px) Image search: [Google]
sad2.png
34KB, 653x451px
>>49641886
No takers?
>>
>>49643155
I was going to help but then you posted homestuck shit.
>>
>>49643155
>homosuck
kill urself my man
>>
File: sad3.jpg (7KB, 218x231px) Image search: [Google]
sad3.jpg
7KB, 218x231px
>>49643163
Sorry anon, my reaction images are sources from all over the place.
>>
>>49643215
I tried to hang myself but the rope snapped.
>>
>>49641886
I think what you'll need is to get the services of a heretek or malatek to get the warp-potentia coil, and clear that item existing in your game with the GM, and also clear the whole soul-sucking thing that Maltek Stalkers do.
>>
>>49642827
>arguably a better weapon
Isn't at all, really. Damage alone isn't the thing that makes the autocannon good.
>>49643035
Heavy stubber is good for what it is, cheap (relatively), powerful range, large ammo mag.
>>49641482
>Use the Laspistol to lay down suppressive fire
Do you people read the book? A weapon can only suppressive fire in half it's range, for a laspistol, that is 15m or less. Good if you are in an urban environment, but useless on a field.
>>
>>49643504
>Good if you are in an urban environment, but useless on a field.
Ever heard of this thing called moving?
>>
>>49643537
Enemies still need to be within that move of 2-4m, then.
So you can suppress within 17-19m.
Or you can get a rifle and not have this problem. I think a lot of people forget that suppressive fire has very short range, and count it as the weapons full increment.
>>
>>49643588
The system just can't have long-range engagements without completely cucking melee combatants. Pretty much all fights happen within 30 or so meters unless you want the melee guys to be useless.
>>
>>49643632
I wonder how much jump packs would mitigate this. They're only Rare.
>>
>>49643588
>only considering a half-move

Suppressing Fire is a full action so you can't actually move and Suppress in one turn, so think more of a sprint into position (grants negatives to BS tests to hit you) and then Suppressing in the next turn.
>>
>>49643655
>DH1E
>>
How does stuff like the Hot-Shot Lasgun reload? All weapons that are part of a standard kit have 4 clips/mags/reloads standard, but the Hot-Shot weapons use 10kg backpacks.

Do they just use 4 clips as part of one backpack, or just one backpack per clip?
>>
File: 2094471623.jpg (122KB, 819x1311px) Image search: [Google]
2094471623.jpg
122KB, 819x1311px
>do everything I can to boost my tech use
>GM makes all checks -10 and even starts throwing out -60s for anything remotely difficult
>>
>>49644594
I always assumed you'd leave the additional backpacks at your base.

In terms of las ammo backpacks I'd just carry the one and recharge it whenever I get the opportunity.
>>
>>49645003
See, but that just seems weird.

If it's multiple backpacks, then once you've used up all your shots then it's useless and it's time to switch to your secondary if you have one.
>>
>>49642846
So here are the DH 1e Autocannon stats:
>Class: Heavy R: 300m s/2/5 4d10+5 Pen 4 clip 20 rld: 2full

For the record I'm crap with probability. Do you think knocking the damage down to 3d10+5 would work? This is something that's supposed to be able to take out light vehicles in a few hits after all, but I'm guessing the high chance of Righteous Fury is the big bug in the system.
>>49644876
You're including all your gear bonuses?
Also, what are you doing that could be considered "Hellish"?
>>
>>49645524
Apparently repairing Vox casters that got wet
>>
>>49645524
It already got nerfed in the latest games.
Heavy, S/3/-, 3d10+8 Pen 6
It's still too good, however.
>>
>>49645542
>>49644876
What a shitty GM.
>>
>>49645598
Granted it was fairly roughed up but still it was a 'Wait, you aren't joking?' moment.
>>
>>49645624
That'd be -20 at the most. -60 would be it being repairing one from the pieces of several that were hit by explosives.
>>
>>49645102
>Larger power packs mean greater power behind each shot but make reloading more impractical, which is a trade-off most are willing to make.
If you want a larger backpack, 25kg gets you 80 shots.
>>
>>49645542
Sheesh. I agree with >>49645658
, a -20 would be harsh. That'd be for like, they've been water-logged for hours or something. -60 is literally the hardest a test is supposed to be. You got a shit Gm buddy. Talk to him about it.
>>
>>49645940
He's a good GM, I just can tell that he's going "So did you really need to get +40 to your Tech Use when you have 43 int? Motherfucker I'll show you..."
>>
>>49645963
That's not a good GM ...
>>
>>49645989
Okay, good otherwise. He just got particularly salty
>>
a few friends and I want to try and homebrew a genestealer cult game, where players play members of the cult, 3rd and 4th gen probably. which system, if any, do you guys think would be best to do this with. We were dark heresy or maybe black crusade due to the thematic similarities. or would we be better just completely making from scratch
>>
>>49646079
probably DH2e could do it better, i guess.
>>
>>49631302
That's completely acceptable in my book. My Rogue Trader has a four-barrel holdout Shotpisol that he keeps in his mechanical codpiece (He has genitals, but most of his lower body is augmetic).

It packs one hell of a punch - once - but it takes longer to reload.
>>
File: Alpha_Legionnaire.jpg (25KB, 250x410px) Image search: [Google]
Alpha_Legionnaire.jpg
25KB, 250x410px
GM is forcing us to do a random background thing for our BC characters, and I got a Forsaken that's a member of the Alpha Legion.

Unfortunately I know fuckall about that chapter and I'm not big on the stale description the wikis give. Can I get a crash course from someone?
>>
>>49646404
You're space CIA.

Your legion created all the insurrections and rebellions on planets in order to conquer them for the Emperor during the Great Crusade for fun/because it was challenging. This was not looked upon favorably.

Everyone is Alpharius. This is because Alpha Legionnaires were larger than all others, while Alparius/Omegon were shorter than the rest of the Primarchs, and were able to create a concoction that caused Alpha Legionnaires to temporarily look, sound, and even know their memories. This allowed the Primarchs to swap places with eachother as well as be off in other places and have some random guy take their place in important meeting.

Alpharius is a dead traitor, Omegon is a loyalist whom we don't know much about other than that he wore black armor or sometimes unpainted armor.
>>
File: Even in death, I am Alpharius.png (446KB, 1103x816px) Image search: [Google]
Even in death, I am Alpharius.png
446KB, 1103x816px
>>49646404
>and I got a Forsaken that's a member of the Alpha Legion.

He was one of the original Colchisians who were elevated to Astartes when the Emperor was reunited with Lorgar. He fought valiantly as a member of the Black Skulls chapter of the Legion, and was a true believer in the Levitico Divinitatus that his Primarch penned. However, he shared in his Primarchs pain at Monarchia, and fell willingly to the sweet embrace of Chaos.

During the Heresy, he led his company with courage and devotion, earning a name as a cunning strategist that laid careful traps for the Ultramarines he predominantly fought. However, his status and prestige in the Legion were lost during the Scouring - a string of defeats left him in poor standing with his chapter, and the only way he could earn the trust and respect of his commanders again is to operate as a lone wolf and cult-stirrer, spreading the will of Lorgar throughout the galaxy through his own cunning and skill.

Even now, thousands of years later, he is still exiled - possibly forever - for an undisclosed reason (Perhaps politics, perhaps Daemonic interference, perhaps he just likes it), and he is now working with the team to spread the word of Lorgar in his own unique way.

Upon hearing a specific code-word, he will begin to enact his convoluted and complicated plan to not only accomplish the mission for the Alpha Legion and the twin Primarchs, but also make himself more powerful by manipulating, converting, or destroying the team and claiming their resources for his own use. He will then try to disappear, on to the next mission, leaving only destruction and a stream of misinformation, lies, and deceit behind him.
>>
>>49646519
>Alpharius is a dead traitor, Omegon is a loyalist whom we don't know much about other than that he wore black armor or sometimes unpainted armor.

Not even this is known for fact. Who even knows which (if any) of the Primarchs were killed, or by who, or what they even believed in the first place.

That's part of the Alpha Legions whole shtick.
>>
>>49646519
>Space CIA
Bane?
>>
>>49646686
Why would you shoot a man before throwing him out of the airlock?
>>
>>49646608
>pic

The mental image of a dreadnought being like Solid Snake with his cardboard box is hilarious.
>>
>>49646631
No. Alpharius is explicitly listed as being the one who was killed by Dorn.
>>
>>49646862
This. Omegron was killed by Guilliman
>>
>>49646404

Alpha Legion is all about them being anything and everything you can think of. Their motivations and end goal and day to day life is shrouded with mystery, they simply pop up wherever and enact some act of sabotage or corruption and then disappear just as quick.

All we know for sure is that they were a really poor choice to use for the chaos chapter in the Dawn of War campaign.
>>
>>49646884
This is likely false, as the =][= has no records of Guilliman engaging "Alpharius", much less the entire battle even happening.
>>
>>49646711
Lot of loyalty for a genetically-altered supersoldier.
>>
File: 3Ultra5You.jpg (96KB, 661x512px) Image search: [Google]
3Ultra5You.jpg
96KB, 661x512px
>>49646915
ur likely false
>>
>>49616382
Hey, they can industralize to meet the tithe quota.

The party ought to be able to help with that.
>>
>>49645524
>>49645554
Dunno, I was thinking maybe take off a d10, and maybe transfer some of that +8 to the pen
>>
>>49645542
As someone who has had to use the vietnam shit radios that the average IG vox-caster seems to be based on, you'd have to leave it in some muggy fucking water for a long fucking time to justify a minus 60. Those things are fucking hardy.
>>
>>49648196
How hardy we talking?
>>
Does anyone have an updated version of the Rogue Trader Ship Builder? My version doesn't have stuff from Hostile Acquisitions.
>>
>>49646079
Yeah 2e for sure, it has enough investigative-y bits to it, but I'd also allow talents from BC (stuff like Disturbing Voice, for example).
>>
>>49621803
I GMd a group that consisted of a Noise Marine that was an 80's Glam Metal singer (makeup and all). He had a sonic blaster (or whatever theyre called) in the shape of an electric guitar and would constantly derail shit.
A Slaneeshi psyker who had his force scythe fuse into his arm. He was obsessed with getting slaves, he wound up fleshcrafting a bunch of his slaves into a cat who was made out of cucumbers, capable of shooting toxic(4) cucumber spines. It was also blind and deaf.
A Thousand Son Psyker who wanted to play a more up and down kind of guy, he was the more moderate of the lot but had an epic moment where a psychic phenomenon caused him to swap bodies with the boss that was killing everyone and killed himself, causing him to return to his own body, shit was pretty tight. He also wound up spitting muticoloured flames.
Finally we had a Nurgle Marine who had his legs transform in to bird legs. We wound up crafting him chainmail barding to protect his legs as his power armour sure as shit wasn't going to fit anymore. Ironically this mutation made him RIDICULOUSLY fast, so the slow plodding Nurgle archetype, became rotting chicken-legged speedster.
>>
can stats for a necron lord found anywhere? and can intelligent necron talk to other life forms in any way?
>>
>>49649665
Deathwatch and Black Crusade. Yes.
>>
>>49649721
oh thanks, i hope my players are smart enough not to fight it
>>
>>49649728
Unless if they're space marines or PR 7+ psykers, they'll lose.
>>
>>49647753
Just either make the autocannon unable to be manportable lacking superhuman strength/augmetics, or make a different version that is not the vehicle mounted one.
The standard version is designed to be used against heavy infantry and light vehicle armor, which is perfectly fine, the lascannon is no longer manportable either. Create a version that is lighter, has a smaller caliber (ie less damage) and is explicitly used by HWTs or on a shoulder harness.
>>
>>49649085
>but I'd also allow talents from BC (stuff like Disturbing Voice, for example)
I'd recommend taking talents from OW instead.
>>
>>49650365
Like? And I mean, you could really allow all books at GM permission.
>>
>>49649224

Reminds me of our GM who once had a dreadnought NPC who'd mutated out chicken legs and gain a good couple extra meters of height.

It's companion/owner was an old crone of a psyker who'd fly around sitting in a giant cauldron.
>>
>>49651152
For DH2? Everything that doesn't rely on comrades or duplicate available Talents. OW uses the same aptitude system. BC does not.
>>
>>49646003
Has he done that before, and is he likely to do that forever until you make a new character?
>>
Hey guys, i need some GMing advice.
Im planning on running a game of Black Crusade but, having played quite alot of it, i know its not like the other 40k RPGs due its nature.
Do you have any advice on how to run a good BC game?
>>
>>49651744
He sounds like the fucking worst type of GM (crunch-wise).

"Oh, after five sessions of trying you finally got that armor you wanted? Everyone has high AP weapons now!"

"You got one level of Unnatural Toughness? Let me give everything Felling."

"You have leveled your melee skills too much? Let's make everything long-range."

"You have Fearless? Let me just scale up the combat so you have to roll WP to retreat very often."

"You got Sprint or a Jump Pack? Let me just make every combat close quarters."
>>
>>49651813
BC games are character driven. Every character has their own goals and they just so happen to coincide slightly so they work together.

If your players don't work together during chargen, your game will fail.
>>
>>49651831
Exactly what I was thinking. The kind of GM where you sre better served being average, because then he wont shit on your head. And the moment one person gets powerful, everyone has to deal with things scaled to make the powerful one average or less.
>>
>>49651477
Baba Yaga!
>>
>>49651526
Aptitudes are pretty damn easy to make up though, just pick one attribute aptitude and one secondary aptitude, generally. Besides, BC's talents actually fit a xenos cult far better than most stuff from OW, that was my point.
>>
>>49649917
i dont see any mention of a necron lord, only warriors and immortals
>>
File: Harrow01_zps151e2678.png (470KB, 703x800px) Image search: [Google]
Harrow01_zps151e2678.png
470KB, 703x800px
>>49615748
How would you all run a Ordo Machinum warband? The GM is handing off the game to me and wants us to continue using the same characters

>The Ordo Machinum is an Ordo of the Inquisition. Overseeing the Adeptus Mechanicus, they are primarily concerned with the reintegration of recovered STC's into the Imperium's armies and the rare adaptation of alien technology into the established Mechanicum protocols. They ensure that laxness on the part of the Mechanicus does not permit a flawed design to enter Imperial service and more importantly prevent a greedy Magos from withholding vital designs for himself.[1]
Inquisitors of the Ordo Machinum often accompany Mechanicus archaeological teams to distant worlds, monitoring their recovery and analysis of STC's. Thus they often work in concert with the Ordo Xenos - especially when the world inq uestion has been under alien control or there is any suggestion of non-human origin for the technology the Mechanicus intends to recover
>>
>>49651813

Advise one of the humans to start with a lascannon or long las so they're not bullied by the marines constantly.
>>
>>49652954
You don't need to go that far.
A plasma or melta will make short work of any marine.
>>
>>49652954
>>49653033
Even Krak grenades will kill marines with ease.
>>
>>49651872

Or as I know her, Hunchback Fairy!

https://youtu.be/WAsCujfg7VU?t=42m11s
>>
>>49615748
Is Warhammer 40k RPG stuff fucked now that FFG don't have the licence? Can't imagine GW could give less of a fuck about putting an RPG out.
>>
>>49653749
It's fucked.
>>
Would an acolyte get a medal for killing a chaos marine?
>>
>>49653749
Anything from now on will be homebrew.

On the plus side, they're pretty complete and good systems so we can at least enjoy them
>>
>>49653926
>>49653939
Yeah, we're lucky to have what we do but it's a shame to see it go the way it has. I would have liked Horus Heresy themed stuff.
>>
>>49653960
>Horus Heresy/30K
Can your taste get any more shit?
>>
>>49654009
No, but you can.
>>
>>49653960

Shas made a whole bunch of Horus Heresy stuff. One of his excel sheets is floating around with stuff for deathwatch in it, and The Fringe is Yours has other stuff.
>>
>>49654009
lol, I guess it's cool to hate on 30k.
>>
>>49654401
What is even the appeal of 30K beyond Gee Dubs desperatly chasing your NEETbux with slightly different models?
>>
>>49654425
I've never played the miniatures game so I can't say, I just read the novels and play the RPG.
>>
>>49654425
It's not nearly as grimdark.
>>
>>49654613
This might come as a shock to you, but there are settings other than Warhammer.

Perhaps you should look for a setting that interests you instead of going for the "It's 40k! But..." locations, races and timelines.
>>
>>49654630
I never said I liked it, I said that's the appeal to people.
Thread posts: 334
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.