[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k RPG General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 41

File: Dark Heresy Doom.jpg (40KB, 409x400px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Heresy Doom.jpg
40KB, 409x400px
"Read the Books!" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! Rampage of the Nerds! (V1.1.9) (Mechanicus for Only War)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dmylf4f40eslea9

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! Relax! Have Fun With It! (V1.7.15) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5lqt5r2wel6w25q

The galaxy is a grimdark place. When was the last time something happened that provided a lighter atmosphere, or even made you laugh?
>>
Our techpriest lightens the mood a bit by virtue of being deadpan-witty all the time. Other than that, grimdark to the max.

not fun.
>>
File: IMG_2996.jpg (792KB, 1162x1622px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2996.jpg
792KB, 1162x1622px
>>
>read the books edition
I swear I'm the only person in my group who actually reads the rules instead of assuming all they change is character creation between games
>>
Our Only War Sergeant keeps harkening back to his previous comrade, from before the start of the campaign, who's rifle trigger broke in a firefight. It's a running joke to check the squad has their triggers before anything important goes down.
>>
>>49583589
How would you guys stat out Punisher Cannons? I can't seem to find them anywhere.
>>
>>49584198
Tacos were a re-occuring food item in the 1e DH adventures I was running for my first ever group.
I forgot how we made it funny though...
>>
File: Honk Honk Tonk.jpg (33KB, 500x355px) Image search: [Google]
Honk Honk Tonk.jpg
33KB, 500x355px
>>49584370

Assuming it's not in the book, let's take a look at the weapon. It's 24" S5 AP- Heavy 20.

This can be roughly converted to

>100m, -/-/10, 2d10+3I, Pen -0, Mag 200, Rld 2 Full, Storm

and can be tailored to personal convenience within margins.
>>
File: Cegorach, The Laughing God.png (276KB, 400x531px) Image search: [Google]
Cegorach, The Laughing God.png
276KB, 400x531px
Hey. I was wondering if you folks would be able to help me with getting into the right mindset for a character I'll be playing soon.

We're at about the midpoint in an RT game(Rank 5) and the team accompanied by my Explorator managed, through careful planning and liberal use of suicide servo skulls, to recover a heresy-era cache of Mechanicum tech, including an STC for a pattern of Reaver Titan.

After much convincing on my end about the "Value and long-term profitability of returning relics to their rightful owners as averse to selling them to Cold Traders or using them to 'Blow feth up'", we gave the stuff to the local Admech temple in Port Wander(and an emissary from the Lathes). They, among a hefty boost in PF and reputation with the Mechanicus, gave my Explorator a promotion to Archmagos and ownership of a planet close to the western edge of the Calixis Sector to set up a Forge World there.

So for the near(and likely extended) future my Explorator will be out of the picture and, although the crew plans to use the Forgeworld as home base, I won't have enough time to accompany the RT on his endeavors. Thus, I'm making a new Character. We're using both of Shas' RT books and I thought I'd shake it up by playing a xenos, but I didn't want to cause trouble by picking something too out there(Our RT is basically Francis Drake so I'm not that worried about it but I'd still like to be as little of a liability as possible).

I decided to go for a Harlequin, since they can kinda fill the Loremaster void the Explorator left and they're among the few xenos the Imperium is non-hostile towards(unless that's been retconned). I'm having a bit of trouble getting the right characterization for him though. I remember someone talked about a person who played a Dark Eldar character "Right" a few threads ago, and I'd like to do the Space Clowns similar justice. I'm finding it hard to get into their headspace so I though you guys might be able to help.
Sorry about the wall of text.
>>
40k philosophy, this way
>>49584503
>>
>>49584468
> I didn't want to cause trouble by picking something too out there
> I decided to go for Harlequin
Wat
>>
>>49584468
The Clowns follow the orders of their demented Laughing God.
Find a good reason why he wants you there.
>>
>>49584468

The Harlequins are independent of both craftworld and dark eldar, and are welcomed with both. Therefore, a harlequin is a mix of both. While utterly devoted to the Laughing God against Slaanesh primarily, some troupes pick other enemies as favored targets, like Necrons. Ideally you want to figure out a reason why you're with the RT, what enemies he's promised you, and how he intends to help out the Eldar in general.
>>
>>49586074
>Ideally you want to figure out a reason why you're with the RT, what enemies he's promised you, and how he intends to help out the Eldar in general.
You say that as though it was the Rogue Trader who chose.
>>
>>49586103
Even if he never has any say in the matter, never let the Rogue Trader know this.
Otherwise he may become spiteful, resentful, and harder to manipulate.
>>
r8 my barebones NPC backstory

Serena Ashford was born the 3rd child and first daughter of Lord Tigrus Ashford; patriarch of the Ashford family, one of the high noble families of Zyphora (they were once rivals of the Cromsford family many centuries ago before the Cromsford family’s influence, wealth and power, grew to greatly eclipse that of the Ashfords.)
Serena made a name for herself as party girl and very open, some would go so far as to say, excessively outspoken, lesbian. Nearing her 25th birthday, rumor has it, her father demanded that she marry into another noble family; though she refused, on account of her sexuality. Things reportedly became tense in the Ashford household until an Imperial Founding was called; and while it was rare for nobles to be drafted, Serena was. The rumors are almost all are in resounding agreement that her drafting was not random but in fact engineered by her father, as an alternate way to expand the family’s prestige in the absence of political alliance.
She entered the guard as a Captain of a company and Administratum files indicate that not only were casualties under her command abnormally high, but Lady Ashford herself also sustained many injuries: a near-fatal lasblast to the torso, a bionic right leg, as well as four bionic fingers on her right hand.
Lady Ashford proved to be a quick study however, and by the time she reached the rank of Colonel and received command of her own regiment, the casualties numbers of men under her command were abnormally low. As a general, she soon found herself under the also newly promoted Lord Militant Hadrian Cromsford. They have served together since, often playing off each other: where Lady Ashford is often reserved and pragmatic, Lord Cromsford is zealous, and some would say, reckless. Though their command styles have often caused friction between the two, they have proven themselves over the last decade and a half to be winning combination.
>>
>>49586103

I'm just saying that if your troupe really hates Necrons, for instance, and the RT says "lol all I fight is fucking orks" then don't base your character around Necrons. Work with the party to synchronize what the Harlequin is an expert at knowing and fighting.

If I recall correctly, Harlequins are built around fellowship and agility, so those roles the Harlequin will excel at. A Harlequin can also double as a party face, though not as efficiently as a Seneschal or a Tau Ambassador.
>>
>>49586144
2/10 too much "did I mention I'm a Lesbian" bullshit, and the rest is boring.
>>
>>49586192
I'm not harlanon, sempai.
>>
How about a DH mission in a primitive world where the intel gathered suggests the local population knows very little of technology, medieval style, only for the players to get there, armed and armoured like knights and courtesans, to find a napoleonic style society with guns and line battles.
>>
File: comissar_by_rotaken-d9hmnnt.jpg (87KB, 1063x751px) Image search: [Google]
comissar_by_rotaken-d9hmnnt.jpg
87KB, 1063x751px
Any tips on how to build a mean fucking a Commissar in Only War?
My stat line:
WS - 39
BS - 40
ST - 35
T - 37
AG - 33
INT - 26
P - 26
WP - 38
F - 37
>>
>>49586461
commissar needs high WP to be strong in face of incalculable odds, high F to inspire the troops and moderate BS to execute the cowards.

The rest doesn't matter
>>
>>49586380
i'm pretty sure it would make almost no difference
>>
>>49586380
It might be a fun little knee-jerk, but it won't really have any staying power beyond "oh, we were wrong, time to sell these clothes, get some appropriate threads, and continue with the mission".
>>
>>49586483
W-What about talents and shit?
>>
File: Harlequin Masque.jpg (53KB, 323x480px) Image search: [Google]
Harlequin Masque.jpg
53KB, 323x480px
>>49585753
>Harlequins are too out there

>The other options are Cannibalistic Predators, Fungus people who are one of the Imperiums main enemies, and Demented Space Elves who have to Torture people to avoid getting eaten by Slaanesh

To be fair, Kroot aren't that bad but we already have an Arch-Militant and several other PCs who can fill that role. Seriously though, do you really believe an Ork or Dark Eldar would be less intrusive than a Harlequin?

Harlequins are also one of the few races that the Imperium isn't immediately hostile towards(at least if we go by their pre-7th stuff, forgive me if that's changed since), since their whole deal is teaching kids about why you shouldn't worship chaos.

>>49586074
I like the idea of mixing the traits of the two other Eldar races. Maybe trying to find a grey area between the Craftworlder's disciplined focus against the Commorites unrestrained obsession? That's something I'll have to think about, Thanks!
As for his favored target, he took the background that gives Hatred(Chaos) and the RT has already instigated hostilities against a Chaos warband and a load of Hereteks, so I think I'm solid on that front. I think that's suitable enough of a reason for the Laughing God(as >>49585858 pointed out), and I assume it'd be nice for the Harlies to have somebody with influence on the RT as "Damage Control", for when the chance to raid an Exodite World or pillage a Craftworld shows up.

>>49586103
>>49586123
So what I'm gathering here is that I should be working towards my own goals and manipulating the RT into doing the same, while humbly making sure the party doesn't die due to their stupid decisions?

So pretty much exactly like my Explorator was then. I can get on board with that.

>>49586192
Yeah, the character is mainly built around being a knowledge dispenser and diplomat(I took the Unnatural Fellowship advance), but he's okay in a fight due to his high Ag and WS, although not nearly as much as the Arch-Militant.
>>
>>49586486
There's a smart man. Of fucking course.

It would be a little funny at first, would make some situations awkward, but then would be resolved. Could be fun, but nothing special.
>>
>>49586510
good question actually, the only time I actually messed with talents was to make a gunslinger character with 8 pistols that could use 2 at a time everytime thanks to quickdraw and that other one that lets you shoot with 2 guns at once
>>
>>49586548
I plan on taking ambidextrous and two weapon wielder to be a meme in melee, inspire wrath to get all my little sodomites hatred. Are you suggesting I just pump up my characteristics instead? They seem pretty high already if I'm not mistaken.
>>
File: hernan-cortes-06.jpg (50KB, 644x362px) Image search: [Google]
hernan-cortes-06.jpg
50KB, 644x362px
>>49586380
>armed and armoured like knights and courtesans

You mean "armed and armored like gods to the primitive world", right? Why lower ourselves to such a base level?
>>
>>49586587
that works well!

Try those that augment your toughness so you can be a bastion among men, taking fire that would fell a grox!
>>
>>49586741
Thanks for the help! First things gonna be upping that toughness and getting parry so I'm not butchered when melee starts.
>>
>>49586521
>So what I'm gathering here is that I should be working towards my own goals and manipulating the RT into doing the same, while humbly making sure the party doesn't die due to their stupid decisions?
No.

You are there because the Laughing God needs the crew for something. You need the crew to play their parts, whatever they may be. Some of them may die. All of them may die, but the stage is set and the show must start.

If you want to get into the character's head, get into the character's head.
>>
>>49583589
I NEED PICTURES
PICTURES OF TECH-HERESY.

by which i mean ideas. for insane inventors and heretical mechanicus falling to evil to slaver over, introduce, and cackle maniacally as they push buttons for.

Anything goes. The more audacious the better.
>>
File: Techsorcist.jpg (57KB, 500x819px) Image search: [Google]
Techsorcist.jpg
57KB, 500x819px
I'm rolling up characters for 2ed DH (mostly for fun), and I've got to ask about something.

How come Adeptus Mechanicus start with the talent for Mechadendrite use (utility), but are only able to chose an Optical Mechadendrite? I've checked the errata, and there's nothing there. Are they just fucking with us on purpose?
>>
File: 1471835433202.jpg (147KB, 1000x831px) Image search: [Google]
1471835433202.jpg
147KB, 1000x831px
>>49588729
>>
File: 1471572236430.jpg (41KB, 500x336px) Image search: [Google]
1471572236430.jpg
41KB, 500x336px
>>49588729
>a weapon to surpass metal gear
>>
File: GOTTA GO FAST.jpg (54KB, 825x673px) Image search: [Google]
GOTTA GO FAST.jpg
54KB, 825x673px
>>49588729
>>
File: good night, sweet emperor.png (763KB, 564x771px) Image search: [Google]
good night, sweet emperor.png
763KB, 564x771px
>>49583589
How have your games been going, /40krpg/?
>>
>>49588863
>>49588876
>>49588898
Hmn. More personal scale projects, maybe?

Doctor bees is always relevant, though.
>>
File: IMG_2780.jpg (76KB, 459x424px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2780.jpg
76KB, 459x424px
The Inquisition is monitoring this thread.

Carry on, citizens.
>>
>>49588860
Be more specific on what you think the problem is, but remember that one with the AM background can take any core Mechadendrite (very rare) under chargen availability. (scarce)
>>
>>49589044
It's just the discrepancy between Talent and Gear not lining up that annoys me. As it stands you have to buy a separate talent for Mechadendrite use (optical) to make use of your starting gear.

It's even more funny that if you chose to forgo the Optical Mechadendrite, you get a Servo Skull with largely the same bonuses as a Utility Mechadendrite withouth requiring talents.
>>
File: 1472094179667.jpg (48KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1472094179667.jpg
48KB, 640x480px
>>49588729
Well, to share one, as an explorator in my Rogue Trader game I spent several session worth of time and effort capturing one of the Lictors that was loose inside our ship and servitorising it.

I then sadly let it loose on a planet full of actual chaos worshippers rather than retaining it as a highly unreliable and heretekal bodyguard/assassin.
>>
>>49588907

Pretty good. My group has recently uncovered PLOT to wipe out a significant number of the natives who would otherwise be able to protect against an Eldar invasion
>>
File: Mechadendrite use.png (257KB, 482x378px) Image search: [Google]
Mechadendrite use.png
257KB, 482x378px
>>49589065
> As it stands you have to buy a separate talent for Mechadendrite use (optical) to make use of your starting gear.

Behold, someone who didn't read the book.
>>
File: rweas.png (280KB, 605x245px) Image search: [Google]
rweas.png
280KB, 605x245px
>>49589100
I did, although not closely enough, obviously.

I understood this part as "You have to by the talent for each of the mechadendrites separately".

Happy to be wrong. Thanks, in spite of your condescending tone.
>>
>>49589127
The only game in the entire line where that is the case is 1e. Every other game uses the Utility/Weapon separation except for DW which adds on Servo Harness.
>>
Can I get /40krpg/'s opinions on these statlines?

(Heavy, 480m, S/2/-, 2d10+4 I, Pen 5, clip 4, Full; Razor Sharp, Proven (2); 30kg)

(Heavy, 500m, S/-/-, 1d10+6 I, Pen 6, clip 6, Full; Accurate, reliable, 32kg)
>>
>>49589188
Just what are these supposed to be for?
>>
>>49589201
Anti-material rifle is the intended role, if you must know, but I really wanted to see would people'd think without considering what I intended them to be for.
>>
>>49589209
So the Longshot in OW Shield of Humanity?

Way too much range.
>>
>>49588898
You motherfucker. Go take a long cold shower.
>>
>>49589229
No, if I wanted a Longshot, I'd use a longshot.

What makes you think the Longshot is an AM rifle?
>>
>>49589251
The range, damage, other things.

Ok then, why not use the exitus rifle statline? Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?
>>
>>49589127
>appropriate Mechadendrite Use talent
>hmm, maybe I should actually go read that talent...

Also I'm not that dude, but it's literally "read the fucking book" edition so don't cry about some "condescending" tone.
>>
>>49589260
>Ok then, why not use the exitus rifle statline?
I'd forgotten about it. Now that I'm reminded of it, I don't want to.

I wouldn't say I'm reinventing the wheel, but rather changing the number of spokes or the tread of the tire.
>>
>>49589268
They both reference each other. Coupled with me being used to 1ed.

>>49589166
>The only game in the entire line where that is the case is 1e
>>
>>49589188
These are *very* heavy, even for heavy weapons.

So some kind of crew served cannon essentially. Razor Sharp on a heavy weapon with pen 5, probably meant to fire at light armour or something.

I'd say the first is a device for killing Sentinels, and the second is just a regular solid slug sniper rifle with no particularly interesting traits.
>>
>>49589642
Actually Re: The second, that is an insane range increment for any human weapon, which I suppose explains why something with a statblock otherwise not inappropriate for a basic weapon is a heavy weapon weighing 32kg. What is this thing, some kind of janky Heretek railgun made out of junk with onboard bullet guidance?
>>
>>49589352
But the talent literally states the two types of Specialisations, Weapon and Utility. So if you read the talent description properly it should be nice and clear.
>>
>>49589642

Oddly enough, as an accurate heavy weapon it's pretty shit for sniping as it won't get the bonus damage. That's basic weapons only.
>>
>>49589886
That is why the Versatile Shooter talent exists in OW Hammer of the Emperor.
>>
>>49583589
Looking for The Emperor Protects Deathwatch book, not seeing it in the repository.
>>
>>49590693
Under Scenarios
>>
>>49583589
>Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.
You should encourage people to make up their own minds instead of meme.
>>
>>49591003
Dark Heresy 1E is horrendously outdated and broken. No one should be forced to play it when 2E exists.
>>
>>49586521
>and Demented Space Elves who have to Torture people to avoid getting eaten by Slaanesh
Do they explicitly have to torture people? Why can't they enjoy other emotions or just ambient suffering they themselves didn't cause? I thought most of them just tortured people because they LIKE to, not because it's 100% necessary for what they're already doing to stave off Slaanesh.
>>
>>49591047
Nope, they have to torture.
It's a part of a ritual to stop Slaanesh slowly sucking up their soul with a very long straw.
If they don't, without the guidance of a Path, they lose their souls and die.
>>
>>49591058
Now it's been awhile since I read this stuff, and I know GW changes shit all the time, but I thought the ritual was separate from that and the victim having recently been tortured just added spice.
>>
>>49591003
Not sure about which edition? I strongly encourage you to pick one or other!!!111!!!1

You're welcome.
>>
>>49591069
>the Dark Eldar [...] a race of sadistic murderers and torturers who feed upon the suffering of others in order to prevent the slow death of their own immortal souls
>the longer a Dark Eldar can drag out the torture of a slave the more psychic nourishment he can take from him or her
Doesn't have to be physical torture, by the wiki.
>>
>>49591095
What if you like, laid out common arguments for or against each one and addressed it to the different tastes of a potential reader.
>>
>>49591097
That's closer to what I thought but not sure I should trust the wiki on this. How reliable is it?
>>
>>49591108
>arguments for 1e
>crickets chirping...

>arguments against 1e
>old as shit, archaic mechanics, lack of freedom in classes, physical cash money which makes no sense lore-wise, plus allows people to just buy super unique items, plus all the good storywork in the predone campaigns can just be ported over easily
>>
>>49590709
Huh, coulda sworn I checked... Guess I really am retarded. Thanks anon.
>>
>>49591125
t. autistic fanboy
>>
>>49591130
Sorry, I gave my arguments, where are yours?
>>
>>49591135
>those
>arguments
Why even bother
>>
>>49589188
The first one is better as a anti-light armor weapon.
>>
>>49591139
>all the arguments are shorthand versions of valid criticisms
Yes, don't bother when you had nothing to say from the start.
>>
>>49591139
Nice shitposting, but please if you're not going to bother putting any effort into a valid reply, then just don't bother replying at all.
>>
>>49591158
>>49591186
8/10 for actually waiting long enough to reboot your modem. Points subtracted for exact same style of posting and word choices.
>>
>>49591097
More to the point, there's actual rules for it in the supplement that provides the Dark Eldar rules, and they don't actually have to torture people. They just have to be standing without 3 or 4 meters (their Perception bonus) of someone who's suffering significant pain every so often (once per session). If a Dark Eldar gets into a firefight, and one of their buddies gets shot, then that's good enough for them.

Heck, it's entirely possible for a Dark Eldar to stave off the Thirst by *being tortured*, or by self-flagellation - they are, after all, a living person within a certain range of themselves.
>>
>>49591206
Barring your extremely shitty attempt at trying to call samefag, what even are your arguments for 1e then?
>>
>>49591217
I don't actually have a horse in this race, I just think it's a shitty way to try to convince someone struggling to make a decision. You really think someone trying to pick between them saw your shitposting and thought "Oh, well, it's obvious 2E is the one for me?" Hell, I see it and start getting soured on it by proxy.
>>
>>49591214
>Heck, it's entirely possible for a Dark Eldar to stave off the Thirst by *being tortured*, or by self-flagellation - they are, after all, a living person within a certain range of themselves.
This has to be someone's magical realm.
>>
>>49591214
>Heck, it's entirely possible for a Dark Eldar to stave off the Thirst by *being tortured*, or by self-flagellation - they are, after all, a living person within a certain range of themselves.
That can't have been the intent behind the rule. This is like trying to lift a chair off the ground that you're sitting in.
>>
>>49591229
There is no struggle though. All the good stuff of 1e can just be carried over to the greatly updated system of 2e.
>>
>>49591240
>This has to be someone's magical realm.
*looks at all the /tg/ memes like "it's not rape if it's an elf" or "elf slave what do"*

You think? ;)
>>
>>49591250
Except it's not classic mechanics, it's tricking a god bloodsucking your soul with your own pain mechanics. She who thrists does not care where the emotion comes from, only that it does. Kabalite armors have nails and hooks inside so the fella goes sore all the day after all.
>>
>>49591294
>Kabalite armors have nails and hooks inside so the fella goes sore all the day after all.
I just thought that was to provide boners.
>>
>>49591253
>There is no struggle though. All the good stuff of 1e can just be carried over to the greatly updated system of 2e.

A lot of the Alternate Career Ranks were quite interesting, and they're fundamentally incompatible with the Aptitude system from 2e.

I mean, you can play a Squat in 1e; they're an Alternate Career Rank for Forge World Scum in the tech priest book. Can you do that in 2e? Not really, not without a lot of house ruling to convert them over.
>>
>>49591315
>you can play something that was removed from the setting entirely and thus has no real relevance

Yeah okay, if you specifically want to play a Squat, then sure go ahead and put up with all the other ancient combat mechanics and such of 1e.
>>
>>49591315
Shut up faggot
>>
>>49591315
Let me guess. You're also going to grab the weapon with the highest possible fire rate.
>>
>>49591315
>I mean, you can play a Squat in 1e; they're an Alternate Career Rank
How is a race distilled to a career rank?
That's like saying you can be an ork by taking one.
Alternate career ranks make little sense outside of cribbing more from OGL style of game mechanics theory.
>>
>>49591335
>>49591336
>>49591347
>>49591349
[circle-jerking intensifies]
>>
>>49591370
If someone has a choice between driving a busted 80's car with a lot of aftermarket parts and a 2010 car in good condition but with less aftermarket parts, is it also circlejerking if everyone recommends the 2010 car?
>>
File: 1343943740053.gif (23KB, 400x447px) Image search: [Google]
1343943740053.gif
23KB, 400x447px
>>49591380
>If someone has a choice between driving a busted 80's car with a lot of aftermarket parts and a 2010 car in good condition but with less aftermarket parts, is it also circlejerking if everyone recommends the 2010 car?
>>
>>49591380
Don't worry about him, he's just going to keep shitposting.
>>
>>49591380
That's literally one of the most retarded comparisons I've ever heard. Car analogies make zero sense in this context.
>>
>>49591349
>How is a race distilled to a career rank?
It's a rank 1 only alt path or something, and it's not technically squats.
>>
I like both versions of Dark Heresy
>>
>>49591419
Ditto.
>>
When someone mentions 1E I fucking see red. If you were next to me instead of online I would fucking END you, but instead I just skullfuck my hand crafted effigy of C.S. Goto. That's what I think of you faggots.

Peace.
>>
File: Harlequins vs TS.png (763KB, 624x492px) Image search: [Google]
Harlequins vs TS.png
763KB, 624x492px
>>49587910
So a little less like playing the backstage guy in the play making sure things run smoothly, and a little more like the director of a play making sure the plot happens like it's supposed to? That's interesting, I hadn't considered trying to take a detached approach to it, but it seems to make more sense Thank you.

So what I've got so far is the above, with a mix of the Eldar and DEldar's personality traits with a driving goal to make sure events play out in a certain way which helps the Laughing God and his servants. I'm also boning up on the war in heaven stuff so I can use it for flavor.

I've also been reading through some of the 7th ed. Harlequin stuff. It seems that they go pretty method acting with their roles(makes sense, given Eldar's ADHD), Do Harlequins pick a few roles they're good at then stick to playing them or do they play the full gamut of roles? It'd be interesting to have a character that plays Vaul or Asuryan or Eldanesh often adopt some of their traits.

I wonder, how do Harlequins view combat? Obviously when it's against Necrons or Chaos it's because of their enduring hateboner but would they view combat itself as just a means to an end or do they treat it like a dance in a play?

I've also always wondered if Harlequins read the runes like Farseers do, or do they pretty much just do whatever Cegorach tells them to?
>>
>>49592353

You're generally assigned a type of role. Only powerful harlequins get named roles, like Death Jesters who play Death, and Solitaires who only play Slaanesh. Otherwise, it can be anything.
>>
Converting characters from 1 to 2 is a pain, aptitudes actually limit the characters a lot making you have to drop "nice to haves" to focus on essentials
>>
>>49592763
Hear that you little piece of shit? That's the sound of me tearing out your tongue, wrapping it around my dick, and jacking off my massive rage boner to it. You are shitposting autist grognard 3.5 ed fuckwit that has never added ANYTHING to these threads. Just non arguments and buzzwords. I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone when I say I feel dumber simply for having read your posts.

SHUT
UP

AND

LEAVE
>>
Converting characters from 2 to 1 is a pain, classes actually limit the characters a lot making you have to drop what you want to focus on what you're allowed
>>
>>49593040
>what is a GM
>what are elite advances and alternate career ranks
>>
>>49593016
>I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone

You're just the loud minority that makes everyone who agrees with you to look bad. In fact, it would be an improvement if you never posted again.
>>
>>49593016
Aren't you forgetting an all caps reee that makes you look even more of a sperg?
>>
File: the first heretek.jpg (8KB, 236x157px) Image search: [Google]
the first heretek.jpg
8KB, 236x157px
>>49593067
I agree with this. Also, I've been gone for a few days. Did we suddenly decide to have an Edition War? These threads are usually pretty tame.

>>49588729
A sonic psychosis inducer. This rare device fits within the palm, and generates noises on a warp-frequency that drives 87% of subjects into a self-destructive killing frenzy. While the device itself has only a limited range and will affect the user unless they are adequately protected, it can be combined with a specialized Vox Subjugator that can seize control of any Imperial audio device within several hundred kilometers and use it to transmit the signal. Properly used, this device could provide a viable means of exterminatus, or mass sacrifice to the Gods of Chaos.
>>49588907
Swell! Though, we've had to take a few weeks hiatus due to people being out of town. I'm running a *very* complicated political intrigue game involving an investigation into the murder of Arch Cardinal Ignato. It involves factions within the Ecclesiarchy, Navigator Houses, the Machenko Dynasty, the Inquisition, the Sisters Famulous etc.

My players seem to be following it completely, which makes me extremely proud. I've been writing down the names and brief descriptions of NPCs on note cards and giving them to players, which has been very helpful for keeping track of the many recurring characters. It also helps them to have something to keep notes on who's behaving suspiciously, who has a relationship with who and all that.
>>
>>49593238
>These threads are usually pretty tame.

Someone in another thread said that 40krpg general had no edition wars, so one anon promised he'd fix it there.
>>
I don't know what you guys mean. Every time someone even mentions 1E those same couple of people get butthurt and shitpost about it.
>>
>>49591315
I think "there's a squat career in 1 and there isn't in 2" is the worst argument I've heard in this little edition war that only this thread cares about. I agree that the loss of alternative career ranks is my biggest gripe with 2e (and I prefer 2e), and it's only partially remedied by "well make it a unique background package thing", and even that doesn't cut it.

Has GW said anything about what they're doing with the 40k RPG license now that they have full control over it? I'd imagine they're all too keen to continue pumping out the boardgames as part of their specialist line, but what about the RPGs? If a 3e is written, what do people want from it?
>>
>>49593362
>and even that doesn't cut it

In most cases, it absolutely ought to cut it.
>>
>>49593362
>I think "there's a squat career in 1 and there isn't in 2" is the worst argument I've heard in this little edition war that only this thread cares about. I agree that the loss of alternative career ranks is my biggest gripe with 2e (and I prefer 2e), and it's only partially remedied by "well make it a unique background package thing", and even that doesn't cut it.
So why are you focusing on the one example that guy pulled out specifically because of how weird it is instead of the meat of his argument?
>>
>>49593362
>If a 3e is written, what do people want from it?
Doesn't matter. We all know it will be a Spess Mehreen dungeon crawler RPG based on D&D 4E
>>
>>49584468

Oh, be sure to keep us updated! I took the opposite approach - I chose to make a water caste tau as our group's social lore master. I'd love to hear how it is on the other side of the fence.
>>
>>49593399
I'll grant you that one. I was thinking of some very specific ones (names escape me right now to be honest), but certain Alternate careers gave you access to talents and traits that existed only for that career. Characters like that don't exist by raw anymore and I think it's a shame. I've always had a soft spot for the tech assassin in the IH, which is completely doable in 2e which I really liked.

>>49593416
There was no argument. Just that "you can't play an abhuman without making your own rules to do it" which is true in any edition of Dark Heresy.

>>49593437
Please anon, don't make me cry. I'd be fine if they pushed that sort of game out as a Space Hulk Deathwatch game mind you, but I want a future for Dark Heresy.
>>
What exactly are the Eldar Gods and where did they come from? I've never been a huge Eldar fan so haven't been up on the lore but this is starting to peak my interest.
>>
>>49588729
The Tacitus Warbrain. Step 1: Acquire about two dozen human brains, extracted live. Step 2: Put them into jars and servitorize them to be used as secondary CPUs for an emplaced tactical-strategic war cogitator. Step 3: Receive incredibly useful, massively parallel tactical and strategic advice for everyone connected to it via vox.

It's not *technically* heresy, but holy shit is it close.
>>
>>49593532
>There was no argument.
He was making the same argument you are about alternative career ranks, you're just autistically narrowed in on one part of it for dumb edition wars reasons.
>>
>>49588860
In DH 2E, there are only two Mechadendrite trainings. Ballistic, for ballistic mechadendrites, and Utility, for literally everything else. You don't need a training talent for every mechadendrite type anymore.
>>
>>49593536
>What exactly are the Eldar Gods and where did they come from?
They were, past tense, powerful warp entities congealed out of raw belief and psychic gestalt, which had incredible warp based powers and could be summoned into real space for short time frames by the faithful. If this sounds familiar, well done.

The Eldar made them, as their entire role in the Old One war effort was "MAKE GODS", and then they made Slaanesh, and now only three Eldar gods survived that.
>>
>>49593595
Three? I thought only the Laughing God made it.
>>
>>49593598
I believe the Eldar god of healing (forget her name) is currently trapped in Nurgles garden of fun, and fragments of Kaine endure as Avatars. I believe that's who he's referring to?
>>
>>49593598

Khaine is fragmented. Isha is Nurgle's waifu, and Ceg does his own thing.

Ynnead was stillborn thanks to Eldrad fucking up.
>>
>>49593608
>>49593621
>Eldar god of healing (forget her name) is currently trapped in Nurgles garden of fun,
>Isha is Nurgle's waifu
That sounds nightmarish.

>Ynnead was stillborn thanks to Eldrad fucking up.
How is a Chaos God stillborn?
>>
>>49593016
I actually like 2e more, I just miss my old character. There's no need to be hostile
>>
>>49593548
The only part I said was "You could make squats in 1 but not 2 is a terrible example of why 1 is better than 2". Our examples are exactly the same as you astutely noted, but if we had to put a case together for why "First ed is better than Second and here's why", Squats as a homebrew alternative career rank is a godawful example.
>>
>>49593638
I believe Ynnead was an Eldar God that Eldrad accidently'd.
>>
>>49593654
Has Eldrad ever done anything right?
>>
>>49593638
>Isha is forced to taste-test new diseases from Nurgle's great Plague Cauldron and able to see her Eldar children but not able to interact with them.

Nightmarish is a good word. Still, probably better than whatever Slaanesh did with the other Eldar Gods.

>Ynnead

Apparently(and excuse me, I only know of it from hearsay), the plot of Death Masque has Eldrad and some Harlies getting fucked up while trying to do an effective C-Section on Ynnead's birth. The implications are that the event damaged all craftworlds, and resulted in Ynnead only being created as a shard rather than in full deity form.

>>49593514
Can do, although the next session isn't for a few weeks.
What is it like playing a Tau character in RT? Do you really push the Greater Good thing or just try and subtly slip it in every now and then?
>>
>>49593532
>Tech-assassin in IH

Actually, that was from Lathe Worlds.

And with the right combo of homeworld, background, and role, and some permission from the GM for elite advances, you can still functionally do it. If you can't get it just right, you get close enough that it effectively doesn't matter.
>>
>>49593813
>>Isha is forced to taste-test new diseases from Nurgle's great Plague Cauldron and able to see her Eldar children but not able to interact with them.

Reminder that someone has fapped to this
>>
>>49593859
>someone has fapped to this

If you name it, and it exists in 40k, someone's fapped to it.

'Nids? Fap. Genestealers? Fap. Psykers? Fap. Sisters of Battle? Fap. Slaanesh? Nurgle? Khorne? Fapfapfap.

This is 40k. Your innocence should be long gone by now.
>>
>>49593904
>Sisters of Battle? Fap.
Oh come on, that's what they were designed for.
>>
File: Be Water.jpg (88KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Be Water.jpg
88KB, 640x480px
>>49593813
>What is it like playing a Tau character in RT?

Well as an water caste I've got pretty much no combat potential, but I can turn anyone into my friend, given enough time and a few lucky rolls. I fluffed my character as coming from the Enclaves, so the Greater Good as a method of individual contribution to a whole, as opposed to subsumption of the self, fit a bit better for the game. People find the unassuming Tau disgusting at first, but then they're ready to eagerly deal quickly enough, our RT's fortunes increasing in return for raw materials sent to the Enclaves every so often. It's really fun, the most fun of all the Tau careers in my opinion.
>>
>>49583589
Where can I start reading 40k lore?, are there any good novels or something I can pick up or should I just read dark heresy?, I always found it interesting but never knew someone who played it (or any other wargames)
>>
File: Vultarax Stratos Automata.jpg (25KB, 277x320px) Image search: [Google]
Vultarax Stratos Automata.jpg
25KB, 277x320px
Given that the Vultarax Stratos-Automata is now out for use, and was the last thing I was waiting for, I can put it into The Fringe is Yours, and Mars Needs Women, for general use. It's certainly the weirdest automata in the set.

I'm also going to boost the rarity of Bio-Corrosive Rounds, to better fit the singular example found in Only War. Rare fit the rounds when it was just toxic, but when they got Corrosive added to them it is clear that there is a slight issue.

I'll get to it when I can.
>>
>>49595031
>I'll get to it when I can.
Translation: It'll happen maybe in a month, if I remember, months if not, because I am unspeakably lazy.
>>
File: Dwarf Fortress too fat to clean.jpg (85KB, 1066x800px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf Fortress too fat to clean.jpg
85KB, 1066x800px
>>49595142

Hey, every time I set a deadline for myself I make it within +/- a week. That's pretty good.
>>
File: sddefault[1].jpg (18KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sddefault[1].jpg
18KB, 640x480px
>>49595142
Stat that drone if you are so great
>>
>>49593060
And why doesn't this apply to 2e?
The difference being that a GM has every right to deny an elite advance or alternate career rank, or make it so exorbitant (on their recognizance) that it is impossible to get.
As a GM, 2e offers what I feel is a reasonable limit to having everything open to a character without relying entirely on GM fiat. There is a stated price to pay for going far outside your skill set that can be damned high, but really, the higher tiers, of talents especially, are incredibly focused, so why would you want them (outside the standard white room theorycraft)?
>>
>>49595324
Shas doesn't need you to white knight him, anon. He can take care of himself. And he'll never bum you, no matter how much you defend him. I know you want a daddy, but this is the wrong way to go about it.
>>
>>49595142
Dude, no one actually cares, take the salt elsewhere.
If Shas never does it, it doesn't matter especially since I don't use her homebrew anyway, except for enemies :3
>>
>>49589665
It was intended as a rifle more focused around eliminating heavily armored infantry targets from extreme range. The thing is supposed to be geared more towards user skill, hence the Accurate quality and lower base damage. But I had forgotten about what >>49589886 says, though that is resolved by Versatile Shooter.

Fluff is work in progress, but it is certainly heretekal, if only because the Admech Magos assigned to the crusade that is encountering it is more on the religious side of things.
>>
>>49583589
Link the previous thread you stupid cuck cunt
>>
File: photo_2016-10-01_23-28-25.jpg (63KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2016-10-01_23-28-25.jpg
63KB, 640x640px
>>49588907
Second-to-last session ended with a car chase with MP, all beacuse Sarge insisted on that damned gramophone.

It was awesome.
>>
So I am about to join an ongoing Rogue Trader game and I have spoken with the Gm about playing as a Ogryn, because why not, it might be fun, but how we go about making one?

As there is no option in RT to play as a Ogryn normally we are going to look at how they made them in Only War, but the power level don´t really match what I can see, any ideé on how to do this?

I have already rolled the characteristics and they are alright for a big meaty Ogryn with high toughness and strength but is there any way that one can optimise the process to make him the ultimate "Tank", think Bullgryn with his slabshield.

Should I make a regiment från an Ogryn World or should I choose Ogryn as "class" and use some other homeworld?
>>
>>49597150
Feudal plate is heavy, but ogryn don't give a shit about encumbrance. Are you sure you're factoring in Unnat Strength and Toughness? Even in an RT party, your starting stats and absurdly massive wounds total should be nothing to sneeze at.
>>
>>49597291
What I´m worried about is that in RT you have higher starting stats, 2xToughness bonus + in wounds.
I have played RT before and we hade a munchkin running around with a thunderhammer, unnatural toughness / strenght and other stuff, dono how this party is but the thought that there migth be a archmilitant running around the ship thats stronger/tougher then the ogryn kinda irks me.

I also think that there is alot of equipment that the Ogryn cant use as RT don´t have Ogryn-proff weapons/equipment, but this will not matter that much I think.
>>
>>49597291
>Feudal plate is heavy
I hate when games fall for this meme. Custom designed and well fitted plate is a lot lighter than most armor due to how well the weight is distributed.
>>
>>49597398
Ask your DM to toss in a 'you can get this weapon ogryn-proofed, but it goes up in rarity by 1' ruling or something. Also, I'm almost sure melee weapons are ogryn-proof by default.
>>
>>49593238
>suddenly decide
Yeah I dunno, a bunch of 1e grognards have crawled out of the woodwork and whilst I've been trying to convince them to look at and even convert to 2e this edition war has slowly erupted.
>>
>>49597505
>and whilst I've been trying to convince them to look at and even convert to 2e this edition war has slowly erupted.
Have you considered that you're bad at this?
>>
>>49597423
Only the great weapon, truncheon, and war hammer.

There is the variant weapon pattern for melee weapons to get ogryn-proof on things.
>>
>>49597565
My bad. I suppose you could always try lugging around a giant Heavy Stubber.
>>
>>49597560
What makes you say that? I've convinced at least one guy to seriously consider 2e, it's just spergs on the 2e side getting more outspoken against the 1e sloths.
>>
>>49597592
Or eventually go into bone 'ead.
>>
>>49597605
I'm mostly just seeing spergs.
>>
How can you make the needle pistol and rifle worth taking an exotic weapon talent for?
>>
>>49597629
Eh. Not much use for that if you're the only ogryn around. If BS is higher, I'd go Heavy Weapons Guy, and mulch/suppress anything that dares to stand in your way. Otherwise, go Havel the Rock, take a Best Quality Great Weapon, and go to town.
>>
>>49597690
But with bone 'ead, you can wield a shield in one hand and a great weapon in the other or go with an eviscerator.
>>
>>49597423
>>49597565
>>49597592
>>49597629

I´m not really worried about weapon loadout, it´s more the character creation that might fuck him up, how should we start, just pick a regiment and take the Ogryn Specialist role or go with the Ogryn homeworld and work from there?
Any ideas guys?
>>
>>49597676
Speaking exclusively from Only War era, which is what I'm using, needle rifles aren't that bad. All pistols pretty much suck, though.

>up to 3d10 from a single shot on a good roll, which is helped by Accurate and single-shot into being a +20
>Felling, so less toughness bonus resistance
>if even one point of damage gets through, near automatic 1d10 bonus damage armor can't resist
>long range compared to most things in the book
>completely silent

If your thing is "stealth kills on non-heavy units", the needle rifle isn't all that bad. Needle weapons should be a single exotic weapon talent, though, like Tau weapons are under a "pulse weapon" umbrella in at least one edition.
>>
File: 1452392514784.jpg (119KB, 878x679px) Image search: [Google]
1452392514784.jpg
119KB, 878x679px
how did your last game go, anon?
>>
>>49597721
I'd go Ogryn specialist, personally. Compare stats, and if you're still sure there's a huge gulf between you and the other players, say so. I really doubt it, though. An ogryn in feudal plate has enough damage resistance to shrug off most small arms fire without a care. Slap Frenzy on top, and you're fucking invincible.
>>
>>49597817
Nothing was accomplished in 5 hours.
>>
>>49597649
Yeah, I haven't been too active in this thread since there aren't any actual 1ers here.
>>
File: Muscled Eagles.gif (790KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Muscled Eagles.gif
790KB, 480x360px
>>49597817

Space Marines face their greatest challenge yet - manly motivational performance, muscular interpretive song and dance, and oiled pantsu wrestling at the BOYNEXTDOOR Morale Improvement Gala.
>>
>>49597891
Why?
>>
>>49597856
RT characteristics do start at 25 compared to OW characters.
>>
Does anyone know what the different tithe grades mean? What is the difference between Solutio Extremis and Exactis Extremis, for example?
>>
>>49598251
People are slow and uninspired. Coming from the player that kept the session going. It's amazing how slowly a game can go when you and the GM turn out to be the only ones interested in non-combat.
>>
>>49598516
That sounds like it's pretty miserable. What type of game are you guys playing?
>>
>>49598584
Only War guerrilla warfare. Between deployments. People just want to shoot cultists, I guess, and don't care all that much for their fellow soldier.
>>
>>49597409
Knights didn't have to carry guns, bullets, water, radios, IFAKs, etc
>>
>>49598718
Maybe go full Vietnam? Try to run them down. Make them feel tired. No rest. Like, barely even rest periods from a mechanical perspective.

Make them fight for so long that they've expanded their ammunition and taken the weapons of cultists ten times over.

Don't let them drink unless their characters are in downtime. Don't let them go to the bathroom unless they're in some kind of rest period.

It's a guerilla campaign, man. That shit's supposed to be stressful.
>>
>>49591419
Same. I don't see why there's such a fuss about a dead game. We have the rest of our lives to enjoy it in this frozen state.
>>
>>49598794
I'm not the GM, and we're not in the field yet/right now. I appreciate the input (we're an online group so the third line there won't work), but I can't actually do anything about it.
>>
>>49598846
Granted, it's gonna be pretty goddamned war-game-y in order to make the guys you play with really appreciate the downtime.
>>
>>49597817
>>49597891
Nothing was accomplished in 5 months

Fuck gmpcs
>>
>>49597817
We found a group of traitors in a supply depot that had been rerouting supplies to separatists that have been acting out across the sector. We arrived just in time to see the commander of the facility destroying the records and the cogitator with the logs with a chainsword. Her henchman ran in and nearly one shotted the mercenary soldier because she was wearing a dress from before and had never said she changed into her armor, which was pretty hilarious. We murdered the lackeys and our big dumb melee bruiser grappled the commander and began to interrogate her, getting pretty much fucking nothing. Meanwhile my tech priest failed 3 tech use tests on getting anything from the Cogitator despite me having +40 in bonuses and over 40 int because fuck me. In the end the dress wearing soldier found a scrap of paper with a destination on it and we all decided fuck this place in particular and left.
>>
File: TIEcrawler_schem.jpg (806KB, 1847x1522px) Image search: [Google]
TIEcrawler_schem.jpg
806KB, 1847x1522px
>>49588898
God, why did they do that. And then everyone was sucking their dick for it, too. A TIE Fighter capital shit is as retarded as a TIE Fighter tank.

Which, to be fair, someone already made. Pic fucking related.
>>
>>49599177
So what is the reason for that to exist?
>>
>>49599312
Early 90s was a hell of a drug
>>
Had an idea for something I'd put into my game. Short version is it's a CSM band inspired by Honsou fluff called the Something Vultures that is devoted to hunting down and recovering the geneseed of any and all fallen marines, following rumors and warp guidance, to use for their own maintenance or trade off to traitor chapters for the creation of more CSMs.

Problem with my idea is I know very little about the progenoids and how durable they are. Also do marine bodies rot slower? Is this idea viable at all?
>>
>>49597817
>Whupped the mutant that was in the autocarriage I jumped into after he rammed my autocarriage and got the Explodes result
>Finished routing the mutant army, took command and rallied the beaten defenders
>Held fast until a skitarri detachment arrived to support us
>mutant army leader approaches, sues for peace
>offer them exit from the city unmolested in exchange for a ceasefire
>they are surprised, the pcs are surprised, the players are surprised
>Yea, I'm not your standard arbitrator, sue me
>waited for Team 2 to report in with news
>they did
>the nobles we were sent to retrieve were killed by assassin agents who were embedded in the population
>realized they had set up everything, from comms going down, to the mutant army descended on the city
>fuck
>we got rolled from the word go
>clean up op commences, scouring the city of remaining mutants, setting up an official Arbites inquiry into what is going on
>will not be caught with pants down again
I Am The Law is full effect.
>>
>>49600771
Wait, the mutants or the nobles set everything up?
>>
File: 1475278648605.jpg (56KB, 500x592px) Image search: [Google]
1475278648605.jpg
56KB, 500x592px
How would a rising RT acquire the services of this lot?
>>
>>49601450

Becoming besties with the Ordo Chronos, because they're all dead
>>
>>49597817
One of my players now has the Unlucky and Pessimist traits after having almost every attack hit him and nobody else for the past two sessions.

We all think it's hilarious.
>>
File: 23154815684.jpg (900KB, 873x648px) Image search: [Google]
23154815684.jpg
900KB, 873x648px
>>49586461
Don't commissars are gay less commissars the better go medic or something infinitely more useful.
>>
>>49586461
>>
Tell me about ship combat in rogue trader, people.

I've heard that torps are useless, macrobatteries are where it's at, and lances are kinda dumb/bad from where they should be.
Why is this the case? I'm just starting to pick it up for a game.
>>
>>49583589
Once our sergeant in OW game after "failing" a logistics test got 100 copies of Imperial Uplifting Primer. After that our comissar was mad-obsessed with these, and for the rest of the campaign it was a running joke "why cant I hold all these Primers".
>>
>>49601450
Battlefleet koronus says astartes should only be acquired by roleplaying and not for acquisition rolling.
>>
So I am going to be running a Black crusade game for a single player, playing a Space Marine.
Any advice for making a game fun for a brand new player? Also, is there something for upgrading and modifying power armor and weapons of all sorts?
>>
>new DH2E game starts tomorrow
my body is so ready.
>>
>>49603898
Dare you enter that magical realm?
>>
>>49603942
oh man, I do. It's gonna be gud. Best group I've ever gamed with, a GM who knows his 40k, got the whole afternoon and evening, weekly game nights scheduled hereafter. I'm living the dream.
>>
>>49603991
>tfw haven't had the opportunity in 3 years
I feel you man. When I next get a group together I'm gonna be hype
>>
>>49603565
>torps are too easy to evade, lances are good if you have a ship where you can line them up with macrobatteries to take care of the void shields first.
>>
>>49604063
don't know why that came out in greentext, sorry.
>>
Why is the Mechanicum always OP? Like jesus, tone it down FFG.
>>
>>49600987
An heretofore unknown party whose targets was the ruling lords of this city.
>>
>>49604579
Too late, brethren. They lost the license. It's up to GW to make the next 40k/30k TTRPG.
>>
>>49604678
SPESS MEHREENS: The Rollplaying Game
>>
>>49604579
Because the Mechanicus explicitly has better technology, better engineers and a better advanced industry than the Imperium and as such can field far better equipped individuals.

That being said, I think the problem is less the Mechanicus being OP and more the Eldar, Necrons and other top-end races being really underwhelming when comparing to fluff.

>Tfw I'm throwing Eldar at the party in a few sessions and have increased Aspect Warriors to a 50 average on WS/BS for fluff accuracy, 55 for Exarchs and 70 for the Autarch
>>
>>49604678
Actually, they were seen at trade shows trying to find someone else to take the license. They have no interest in doing it themselves.
>>
>>49604717
Why did they take it from FFG? They were doing a good job.
>>
>>49604704
>Because the Mechanicus explicitly has better technology, better engineers and a better advanced industry than the Imperium and as such can field far better equipped individuals.
And FFG-approved talents/origins/what-have-you to do everything a non-mechanicus character can do, but better.

They're the fucking Wizards of 40KRPG.
>>
>>49604704
Agreed. I had a Tyranid and vehicle heavy game awhile back and just added between 10 and 15 points of pen to all of the larger Tyranids. No more indestructible Rhinos.
>>
>>49604725
It's not GW taking license away, it's FFG not prolonging it.
>>
>>49604740
Why did FFG ditch it then?
>>
>>49604732
Ah, right. Yes in terms of PCs the Adeptus Mechanicus can get quite nasty, particularly in the older lines. Though this is by no means a necessary fix, if it helps at all the AdMech were seriously toned down in 2E, with their only real advantage being their able access to bionics (which other characters can also get, save for a few).
>>
>>49604756
SW is more profitable.
>>
>>49604725
>>49604740
Yes and no. Part of their contract involved not competing directly with GW. X-Wing may have been too close, but really it's Runewars, which is quite literally Warhammer Fantasy with the name changed, that most likely broke the contract.
>>
>>49604772
>>49604740
Or another possibility, with the purchase of FFG by Asmodee, they would've had to renegotiate any contracts their subsidiaries had. It's possible that renegotiation fell through.
>>
So my Rogue Trader's group just ripped off some Tau weapon merchants for a trio of XV8 armors, but they come with no weapons attached and our explorator wants to attach imperial weaponry to them and repaint them camo Green with aquilas.
Dis gon b gud.
>>
File: heresy.jpg (33KB, 413x569px) Image search: [Google]
heresy.jpg
33KB, 413x569px
>>49604879
>>
>>49604940
Man that's nothing. I don't recall if any specific model was given, but I was in a deathwatch game where we got some armors that had been upscaled for Astartes pilots.

That had been a fun mission, covert insertion into the tau empire with the goal of removing the current leadership and replacing it with something more pro-Imperium.
>>
>>49604879
Tech-Heresy identified. Magos Juris informed. Good luck you magnificent bastards.

Also:
>Explorator wants to paint them green and put on Aquilas
>Not Martian-red with mechanicus symbols
>>
File: Necron Reboot.jpg (47KB, 300x492px) Image search: [Google]
Necron Reboot.jpg
47KB, 300x492px
>>49597817

We managed to get stuck in a gigantic turf war between some Orks and a newly-awakened Tomb World with an... interesting leader. We basically agreed to a non-aggression pact(mostly because they could probably shoot us out of the sky), and when the Ork PC beheaded the Warboss in a duel we scored a favor from the Dynasty and also a ramshackle fleet of Orks(which I'm quite worried about).
>>
>>49603633

I figured that much, just how exactly do they work and who'd you have to talk to? Do they have their own fleets?
>>
>>49605270

>Friendly newcrons

ebin meme, dankest I've seen in a while, have an upboat :^)
>>
File: File_001(178).jpg (299KB, 1505x903px) Image search: [Google]
File_001(178).jpg
299KB, 1505x903px
>>49605012
My RT group:
Everyone in our group is a "Praise the Emperor" religious zealot, to the point that one of my player has confiscated a whole transport full of aquila insignias made for IG helmets just to paste them all over the Vigilante Eternas (Their flagship). Ironically they use repurposed xeno tech all the time even if it upsets the group's missionary, but they just give him promethium cans to keep him happy.
>The Explorator is a catachan-born 2 meters tall techpriest with a glass mouthpiece that runs into combat like a fucking khornate. He believes the Omnissiah and the Emperor are the same being. He has the voice modulor set on "Batman" all the time.
>The Seneschal hides in the background calculating how much money they're losing per bullet fired at the heretics. He also happens to have a ridiculous +20% Security skill and can turn into Solid Snake. He's the group's 'Tactical Jew.'
>The Rogue Trader thinks he's a sniper with his BS of 28; he has a mono sword and a fucking power fist but he insists in going all bad motherfucker McCree style with his las pistol
>The Astropath is also born in Catachan. He's the group's Muscle Wizard. Highest toughness in the group, can take a cyclonic torpedo to the chest and keep walking while he mind rapes whoever happens to have had the bad luck of crossing the group's path.
>The Arch-Militant is a female void-born with poor craftsmanship subskin armor, a chain axe and a shield. Not sure who will turn to Khorne first, her or the Explorator.
>The Missionary. Oh boy. Don't ever ask this guy if he can light your cigarette, because he will burn you, everyone around you, the ground you're stepping on, the jetbike you're riding, and then will take his melta and make sure the place is marked as a no-pass zone for the next milennia. No longer has skin, it's just burned scar tissue all over. The explorator's favorite pastime is replacing his body parts after one of his "RREE BURN HERETICS BURN" episodes
>>
>>49605857

Hey, bring it up with my GM.

Besides, it was less of a "Let's be friends!!!" than a "I have some DAoT nukes and mini-exterminatus ordonance, you've got a lot of scary green glowy things that shoot lasers, let's agree to not fuck each other up super hard for the moment."

I'm like 110% sure that next time they see us they'll go all judgement day, but until then we escaped with our flesh un-flayed, and that's good enough for me.
>>
>>49604756
StarWars prints money right now and the foreseeable future, and I assume FFG isn't big enough to have a separate team to also work on Warhammer while they churn out star wars shittery for the masses.
>>
>>49604756

Rune Wars is WHFB with the serial numbers filed off. They became a competitor.
>>
I can't decide between a Champion or a Chosen in BC.

I wanted to make a Khornate Berzerker but my GM ruled it as OP and decided to make it an advanced class I can buy into when I hit some prerequisites, but I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do in the meantime. I've never played BC although I have experience with the other games in the line. It's an all CSM party.
>>
>>49608296
>all CSM party
>>
I've realized how a Tech-Priest's emotional side should be role-played: like a Witcher's.
>>
>>49608700
Witchers losing their emotions is a myth based on exaggerated true stories of botched mutations
>>
>>49608296
Champion if the rest of the group is going something other than Khorne & you want to offer the 1 infamy point = instant success attack option to the rest of the group. Chosen otherwise.
>>
>>49602011
>>49602879
I was going to play a priest, but the DM and party requested I go Commissar.
>>
>>49608424
It's a thing the GM wants to do now that we've done Dark Heresy and Only War.

I don't question it, I just wanna grind faces and enjoy the carnage. I'm pretty sure the GM's end goal is for us to launch and lead a Black Crusade for real.

>>49608894
I know we have a Sorcerer as well. The 3rd and final player is a total wildcard that jumps all over the place. I'm predicting he'll go Forsaken or Chosen. Or maybe Warpsmith if the GM allows it, but impossible to say as fucker is my best bro but nuts.
>>
I have a Lesser Minion of Chaos to stat out, and access to all the tomes. How do I make a Facehugger in Black Crusade?
>>
>>49609870
Size (2), Multiple Arms (2), Parasite?
>>
>>49608296
>I wanted to make a Khornate Berzerker but my GM ruled it as OP and decided to make it an advanced class I can buy into when I hit some prerequisite
First: Khorne Berserker IS an advanced package, equal to 13k XP or some such. Second: BC doesn't really do Classes. Become a Champion, grind out Frenzy and Strength bonuses, boom, you are a Berserker aligned to Khorne.
>>
>>49610290
It's more that he agreed 'Reach X amount of EXP and 75% of the starting talents and I'll let you swap to their unique talents and pick up a few of their other starters for free' deal
>>
>>49604063

Thanks.

What kind of weapons would you use if you had access to 1 dorsal and 1 prow mount?
>>
>>49610154
Maybe Quadruped instead of Multiple Arms to make up for being tiny?
>>
>>49610470
Then you don't get the grapple bonus.
>>
>>49610486
Multiple Arms gives you more attacks, not grapple bonuses, at least in Black Crusade, maybe not in the other ones
>>
>>49610922
Could have sworn I saw 'grapple' and 'multiple arms' in the same sentence somewhere.
>>
>>49608743
Yeah, haven't read the books, as was probably apparent. Simply basing it off of the Witchers from the games.
>>
>>49604756
another theory is that GW wanted their board game license back so they alone could make 40k stand alone games, which only leaves the RPG and card games AKA the stuff that doesn't make much money. FFG said no thanks, and they ditched the whole deal.
>>
>>49611356
>Yeah, haven't read the books, as was probably apparent. Simply basing it off of the Witchers from the games.
It should have been apparent from the games too. Lambert is all kinds of emotional, and Geralt doesn't emote much but he clearly experiences plenty of them.

Vidya gamers are idiots.
>>
>>49598516
>>49598251

>it happened again today
kill me

>>49608700
Or, if they're "brand new" to the cult (limited bionics), you could do like our techpriest. Be a smug, superior bastard with a working knowledge of how to fix and operate most Imperial machines and the belief he's automatically better than anyone for it.

The dude's got (mechanical) wings, and acts like he really is an angel.
>>
>>49610361
been a long time since I played RT, but as I recall we had a similar ship and used dorsal macrobatteries and a prow mounted lance. Basic idea was to get rid of void shields with the macrobatteries and then hit them with the lance because it ignores....armor? Seemed to work well for us.
>>
>>49605857
>intelligent factions can't sue for ceasefires in the event of a MAD situation
No, you are what is wrong with the lore.
>>
How do build commissar /tg/?
>>
>>49598312
Bumping on this question.
>>
Which books have the Paradise World homeworld option? I don't need rules for any specific version, just the fluff.
>>
>>49611595

>Necrons
>Intelligent faction

Matt Ward was a mistake
>>
>>49611533
I feel you man. Real life game?
>>
>>49611810
You mean Garden World, that is EWithout.
>>49611829
Says the 4e memeing babby.
>>
>>49598312
>>49611660
There is no source (canon or otherwise) outlining that.
>>
>>49612000
Alrighty then, I'll just make shit up.
>>
>>49611851
Online. Good players when they do play, but they can't hold any interest whatsoever.
>>
>>49612211
That sucks. It's hard enough to find players that will pay attention to the games beyond the MAIM KILL BURN portions in real life, more so online.

I'm in the same boat, but my GM refuses to acknowledge there's anything wrong with it.
>>
>>49611829
I prefer a middleground between Oldcrons and Newcrons
>>
>>49612211
Find a way to give them all adderall
>>
File: 1287438478959.jpg (285KB, 725x1055px) Image search: [Google]
1287438478959.jpg
285KB, 725x1055px
Are there any 40k audiobooks that highlight the imperial creed, adeptus ministorum or simply contain any priests?
>>
Does anyone have the premade characters for Black Crusade?

I think some came with the demo adventure while others came with the special edition.
>>
File: header-image.png (433KB, 620x417px) Image search: [Google]
header-image.png
433KB, 620x417px
>>49600008 here. Still waiting on word from someone who might know for how long geneseeds are recoverable.

Decided on the name Bone Vultures, which I found out after is apparently an actual rl species which does kinda look like it knows the gentle caress of the warp.
>>
>>49613695
I'd say as long as the body is mostly intact, geneseed is probably fine. Call it weeks for reasonably cool weather, months in a cool dry ship, days in a jungle. Of course, Apothecaries will slip geneseed into airtight containers that will last pretty much forever first chance they get. Vacuum sealed geneseed, it's not heresy!
>>
>>49613695
Geneseed is among the reasons why Spess Mureehns raid Space Hulks. So probably.
>>
Hey lads and lasses

A few threads ago, I was talking about how me and my mate were gonna do a 1 on 1 game, and how that game would be Black Crusade (as, apparently, that game lends itself well to one lone person perusing power)

The problem is, my mate is a nice dude. Kind of like Aaron from RPPR: would have a hard time choosing the immoral paths in videogames.

Likewise, he would probably like to play a character that isn't an asshole.
So, with that in mind...um...anyone have any ideas around this? I was thinking maybe I could play up the fact that the Imperium is a shitty oppressive place to live, and that Chaos is better, but when you come in contact with Daemons and followers of one Chaos God in particular (meaning the people who worship JUST one god, and not Chaos Undivided), the argument that "Chaos Good, Imperium Bad" seems to...well, fall apart.

Any ideas of how I can...well, you know, show Chaos as being favorable despite crazy shit?
>>
>>49613825

Have you considered a different line than BC? Perhaps RT, DH2, or even DW? Those work better for non-asshole games.
>>
>>49613825
Present Chaos as freedom to do whatever you wish, for everyone.
You get as far as your own effort takes you, a meritocracy that is recognized by the highest powers.
By contrast, the Imperium literally exists to keep a decayed, corrupt power structure going for the 1% of humanity that runs it, while grinding down 60% of humanity (into corpse starch).
Your dude is one of the great few who can actually make an impact in the machine, to offer freedom, real freedom, the ability to do as your heart desires most, to HUMANITY. Is that not something worth fighting for?
>>
>>49584466

>Heavy 20
>-/-/10
>>
>>49609660
> the DM and party requested I go Commissar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dDHWrdioKA
>>
>>49613928
Chaos in theory is about that. However, Chaos very defined gods with very defined followers and an established power structure.

To be someone pursuing the path of Chaos to do good is about the same as someone sticking by the Imperium to do good.

Have you ever seen a Chaos God reward someone for good deeds?

That said, for >>49613825 the option of a Radical Dark Heresy campaign works well. Radicals are often just guys with "common sense" and don't fit fully into the Imperial Creed nor Chaos.
>>
>>49614027
>Storm
>>
>>49614027

There's no possible way to get 20 DoS so why bother with a fire rate that high
>>
>>49591295

Have you had a boner with a metal codpiece on?
>>
>>49614062
>Chaos in theory
That's all your player has to work with, which is the beauty.
He can literally go in with stars in his eyes and bright hopes of making a difference, and you can savor the opportunity of making him fall from grace, having to constantly cut devil's bargains to achieve his goals until he realizes, yes, HE is the monster..
Don't pass this up, mang.
>>
>>49614205
I'm not him, I even linked his post, Anon.
>>
>>49613825
Make him a tragic character that seeks to accomplish a goal by means of chaos.
The vast majority of the imperium doesn't know a thing about chaos, xenos or anything really.
He could've been tricked into it by a cultist.

Chaos doesn't need to be body horror, torture, rape and murder 24/7. Especially not with Tzeentch.
>>
I've wanted to get into the RPGs for a while now, but have no RPG experience outside of 2 or 3 DnD sessions. I did pick up DH2e because Dark Heresy sounds pretty awesome. Anyway, what's the best way to break into and learn the game?
>>
>>49586548
>gunslinger character with 8 pistols that could use 2 at a time everytime thanks to quickdraw
That doesn't work since quick draw doesn't let you put your weapons away for free.
You'd have to drop them on the ground.
>>
>>49614277
Get a few heads together, try the game out.
Sit down, read the book, create some pcs, run them thru some situations, combat, social, etc.
Get friends, run game for them. Everyone starts somewhere.
>>49614341
Slings and cords, man. Don't need to pull them off the ground, still cost an action to grab.
>>
>>49597398

RT starts at what would be DH1e 5000xp
OW starts at what would be DH1e 3000xp
Make a OW Ogryn with 2000xp extra, going the OW:SoH Ogryn Homeworld and building his regiment as a representation of his life to that point, though not necessarily in the Guard.

Also, Ogryn Gun-Lugger/Bonehead with an Autocannon loaded with RT:FaC Explosive Shells is rape incarnate.
>>
>>49614363
Ah, I forgot the most vital part of this. I just moved and now know no one.
>>
>>49613833
Well, that's the thing- all those other games aren't good for 1 v 1 gaming

>>49614272
Ok, I'll see about...you know, rationalizing.
>>
>>49614384
Look for a hobby shop of some sort.
Get into a group, socialize and that jazz.
>>
>>49614060
What's so bad about being a Commissar?
>>
>>49589188
The first one is retarded and overpowered.

The second one is actually kind of meh, aside from the range.
Keep in mind Accurate only provides bonus damage for basic weapons. Heavy weapons only get an additional +10 to hit if you aim.
And don't argue with Versatile Shooter. If that's your goal the second weapon is retarded too.

The range on both of them is stupid though.

>>49589642
No, they're not. Heavy weapons are almost all 30+ kg. Some weigh up to 50kg.
>>
>>49591013
And 2nd is not broken? Top kek.

1st edition is fine. At least it's chargen isn't cherry-picking talents.
>>
>>49610361

Sunsear Laser Macrobattery in dorsal, Best Bombardment Cannon in prow for Crit 1.
>>
>>49614446
Please don't start this argument again. Leave edition wars to the rest of /tg/
>>
>>49614446
Kill yourself and take your bullshit with you.
>>
>>49614409
Damn, I knew trying to play an inherently social game would be hard. I just didn't know it would be this hard...

But to clarify, do game stores usually have games going on? Or is it just where gamers congregate?
>>
>>49614166
Unnatural. The shittest unnatural, but still.
>>
>>49591125
How are the mechanics archaic when they're almost the same in every system so far?
Why does cash not make sense?
How does cash let you get super unique items when it's way easier with a lucky roll on influence?

2nd ed's chargen is awkward and let's everyone cherry pick the most powerful talents. It doesn't add anything new. Aptitudes suck.
>>
>>49614421
everything
>>
File: 1473692744036.jpg (32KB, 701x600px) Image search: [Google]
1473692744036.jpg
32KB, 701x600px
>>49614602
uh huh
>>
File: Cleric.jpg (290KB, 676x919px) Image search: [Google]
Cleric.jpg
290KB, 676x919px
I'm going to play a cleric in Dark Heresy.

Does anyone have some advice or know some good sources that could aid me in portraying an ecclesiarch?
>>
>>49614504
Both, usually.
Go to a shop that sells rpg items, talk to the people behind the counter for a start.
>>
>>49614523
Kill yourself and take your bullshit with you.
>>
>>49614638
Thank you stranger. You fill me with determination.
>>
>>49614625
Standard religious thoughts: What kind of faith do you preach? Not every priest is a fire/brimstone type.
Are you outwardly pious, inwardly wracked by guilt and doubt that leads to mortification?
Are you a shepherd to the people, offering uplifting words, a helping hand, being an example for all the faithful to follow?
Or are you more concerned with bringing the Emperor's Justice to the unbeliever, hastening them to their judgment?
>>49614679
It isn't as hard, or as hopeless, as some anons make it sound. If you are in a decent sized city, there will be hobby shops. Put in the footwork, and you will always find a game open. Hell, I ran games at my flgs for years, and generally had an open door policy to walk ins.
>>
>>49614625
>>49614714
Further: Is your version of the faith:
>Gentle by Imperial standards (Close to a fairly subdued fundie today)
>Standard Imperial (Burn the unbeliever!)
>Hardline Imperial (All work that is not done solely in the Emperor's name is unclean)
>Extreme and overzealous even by Imperial standards (I'll bring him back to life...AND THEN TORTURE HIM!)
>>
>>49598911
Storytime?
>>
Reminder we still have a discord before the thread dies

https://discord.gg/FpVfNKp
>>
>>49615748
New thread, yo.
>>
>>49606011
That sounds fantastic.
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.