[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 336
Thread images: 55

File: Adriana.png (138KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Adriana.png
138KB, 223x311px
Useless Commanders Edition

Previous Thread >>49545693

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
http://www.mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
http://www.tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
http://www.edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
http://manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
http://www.magiccards.info
>>
WAIT FOR THE DRUM ROLL
>>
File: useless.jpg (34KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
useless.jpg
34KB, 223x310px
Why are Boros Commanders so bad in general? There are so few good ones.
>>
>>49563917
I wonder what they were thinking when they wrote melee. It's just such a bland idea, and it seems counterintuitive to me.
>>
>>49563968
When you combine the two worst colors in edh, it's no surprise when you get the worst color color combo in edh.
>>
>>49563984
I cracked that bitch, and I've been theory crafting a deck for her, but the best I can come up with is some boros weenies with assemble the legion getting +1/+1 when they attack. That just sounds so... bad. How is that going to win me a game? They could have at least made her Naya so I'd have access to better things.
>>
>>49563997
See, I disagree, the problem is the only good way to build Boros is to do MLD and no commanders facilitate that, because both Johnny and Timmy find it unfun. I was actually brewing Boros indestructible boardwipes and whatnot, I just can't see a reason not to turn it into a generic Biron Soutarm instead.
>>
>>49563999
I think tokens is the way to do it, yeah. My problem with it is spreading yourself out on attacks just to get an anthem.
Don't forget to run Aurelia, getting multiple combats with Adriana might add up.
>>
>>49564031
>Aurelia
Ya I think that might work, particularly in a 4 player game with some instant speed white untappers. I still wish it was Naya so I could great oak guardian with Aurelia and Kiki-jiki.
>>
>>49564016
I thought >pff whatever, there has got to be something

I was wrong. There is literally nothing but creatures and combat oriented rw legendaries. Holy shit.
>>
>>49564031
>attack two opponents with one token each
>all in on major target
>all your creatures get +3/+3
>???
>PROFIT

just leave em alive long enough to get the bonus and ping em later.
>>
>>49564140
Yeah, they REALLY wasted their opportunity with the RW precon.

Everyone wanted two things from that.
Another angel waifu and a RW general that helped get some kind of card advantage or some theme beyond big beaters, in the colors with no ramp or real card draw...

And what did we get? A useless Angel waifu and a general that only works when you play giant beaters... in the colors known for having no card advantage and no ramp....

its a sad day when the best Boros general for card advantage is the new Dwarf Podracer... and she can only draw you other dwarves and vehicles...
>>
>>49564215
Printing some no-name, edgy angel instead of Feather was the biggest disgrace of that precon.
>>
>>49564215
I think the worst part of all of it is how rudely they shat on the RW precon too. You actually have to work for Kalemne's experience counters by casting the fatties while Newzuri can get his off of tokens ETBing.
>>
File: Image.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
Dunno about you guys, but I've had success with this guy. Slap down cheap mana rocks, some cheap protection and some cheap creatures that catch that +3/+0 anthem. It can really rack up potential deadliness faster than your opponents foresee. Stick in some late-game evasion and multiple combats and you have a pretty strong (albeit not extremely competitive) commander.

Or he can be used as a rather abusive sword carrier at the helm of a voltron deck. Probably better at that, being basically an 8/4 first striker.
>>
a friend of mine i just got into magic built his first edh deck with pic related,
you gave have any budget auto-includes/spicy tech i could advise him?
>>
>>49564409
I've been working on the same thing and I'm going to post a list in the next couple days because I have a test every day this week.
But I can let you in on one of my prime secrets.
Echoing Courage.
>>
>>49564409
This cards second ability is so argument inducing. Do the X/Xs count themselves or the board prior when coming into play? Is the ability static timestamped or is it updating? Why are the creatures X/X when their tokens are */*? Why does she have flavor text when she could have had (rules clarification text?)
>>
>>49564215
Why couldn't they make something simple like:

Sarah, Angel of Penance
3WR

Whenever a land is put into the graveyard from the battlefield, creatures you control get +1/+0 until the end of turn.

RRWW: Destroy target land.

3/2
>>
>>49564461
wonder if it works the same way as voice of resurgence token? though i would bet it just copies the # of creatures you have before then comes into play as an unchanging X/X
>>
>>49564409
Not budget, but Parallel lives, doubling season, etc.

Thousand year elixir so he can hit the field with his wheels spinning. Swiftfoot boots and lightning greaves for haste.

Also any green mana doublers and ramp he can cram into there. Those are some pretty expensive abilities, so being able to afford using them more then once a turn is gonna likely be a must.
>>
>>49564406
Jor Kadeem! Fuck I've wanted to build him for a long ass time. Is it fun anon? He might be my boros legendary to run with. I love artifacts in general, and I've found some spicy R/W synergies trying to build Uril.
>>
>>49564467
Because Muh' spirit of EDH REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It is our job to free the souls bound by gravity through armageddons.
>>
>>49564215
>>49564140
In my experience, the best "Suppression" style RW commander is Avacyn. She doesn't really support land destruction, but she does more for resource management than any of the others.
>>
>>49564461
No, nothing counts itself before entering the battlefield, it checks for all other creatures as it resolves, not when it's activated, */* is for abilities that set power and toughness based on changing conditions.

If you have her and two other creatures out when her second ability resolves, you'll make a 3/3. If two of those creatures die, it'll still be a 3/3.
>>
>>49563984
to encourage combat in a way that doesnt encourage hammering one dude
>>
>>49564271
Maybe they're saving Feather for Ravnica 3.
>>
>>49564493
This is the Jor anon. Yeah he's a blast. He slips under everyone's expectation radar, too. I can usually get him out pretty fast and smack people for 20 damage with a bunch of weenies before they realize I'm even a threat. Boros swiftblade goes from 2 to 8 damage with the drop of your commander. He can be pretty nuts. If you enjoy artifacts and want to use an underrated commander, Jor is a blast.
>>
Can anyone give me any suggestions for my karlov budget deck?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/karlov-budget-2/
>>
>>49564467
I think the most appropriate way for them to do Land Destruction on a RW commander is to make it into punishment for excessive land ramp. Something like:

>At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player sacrifices a land if he or she controls the most lands or is tied for the most.

Could even add in something like:

>Then that player does the same for artifacts, enchantments, and creatures.
>>
File: Starke of Rath_TE.jpg (56KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Starke of Rath_TE.jpg
56KB, 312x445px
>>49563917
Not useless, but begging for me to build a janky political deck with.
>>
>>49564409
>>49564441
>>49564461
>>49564479
thanks for the advice, i figured all of the token doublers and anthems would be auto includes in the deck. ill write up a list of cards to buy once he really gets into the game
>>
File: 295.jpg (63KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
295.jpg
63KB, 312x445px
>>49564757
Dejank it up and you'll be set.
>>
So I own two edh decks, Nath and a WB skeleton semi-tribal. People are getting upset at me for running decks with bunches of little guys, token or skeleton, and using them as sacrifice fodder or lots of bullshit blockers. They either get swarmed or drained of cards in hand and on the field by my sac cards. I love black, and doing terrible things to my minions to do worse things to other people, but nobody wants to play any more. Recomend me a new way to hurt people? And be creative and goofy. Please no token or weenie decks, though that hurts me to say.
>>
>>49564914
Start by telling them to get good.
by hurting their pride first they will only entrench themselves in the ways of the baddie.
>>
Probably a simple question that I'm thinking too hard here, but if someone turns a creature into a land, then uses Obsidian Fireheart to put a blaze counter on it, does the creature continue to burn if it ceases to be a land?

>these are the things Skullbriar's ability makes me think about
>>
File: Soul_Calibur_(SC5).jpg (32KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
Soul_Calibur_(SC5).jpg
32KB, 540x720px
>>49564964
The creature will be seriously wounded, but the soul still burns.
>>
>>49564964
I've got no idea on this one, so I put a post on the ask a judge thread for you.
>>49565081
>>
File: SpoopySkelly.jpg (32KB, 300x451px) Image search: [Google]
SpoopySkelly.jpg
32KB, 300x451px
>>49564914
Drudge Skeletons are too powerful and have been on the Committee watch list since the format's inception. Skeletal Wurm has been the bane of our play group or years now. Try toning down the power of your decks
>>
>>49564914
Tokens in edh are super meta. They just have to get better at the game, desu. Have them run more counterspells, removal and pillowforty shit. That's a classic case of "You're better at magic and we don't want to get better because we're lazy. So dumb yourself down so we can have fun."
>>
>>49564964
gA answered the first part, but in reference to:
>these are the things Skullbriar's ability makes me think about

If Skullbriar left the battlefield and returned with a blaze counter still on it, it will be a different object and be divorced from the triggered ability.
>>
>>49564914
I love black too. You could try not letting anyone have creatures. Board wipes an fatties that draw you cards or make fuck loads of mana are just as fun as saying weenies for power.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-04-16-big-black-deck/
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/that-old-graveyard-magic/

Thoughts?
>>
>>49565255
Stop putting pictures of giant sluts on Mimeoplasm!

My Oozefu is pure! Pure!
>>
>>49565086
>>49565212
The commander continues to burn.
>>
File: image.png (127KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
127KB, 223x311px
Anyone have ideas for editions to the Precon deck pic related has? Already ordered the red and white hideaway lands.
>>
>>49565328
All the good equipment.
>>
>>49565279
Please provide useful information or fuck off faggot.
>>
>>49565328
Invest hard into artifact mana
Also pick up a Land Tax desu
>>
File: ditto.jpg (215KB, 450x613px) Image search: [Google]
ditto.jpg
215KB, 450x613px
>>49565255
Reminded me of this
>>
>>49565328
Go full giant tribal. She seems to have been built for it
>>
>play online because new deck in the mail and bored as fuck
>join a game called "for fun"
>play against a guy who plays original dual lands, steals my creatures, then actually uses "steal artifact" on my mind stone
>cast grave pact on an empty board while his board is also empty, he counters it and then says "guys i gotta go" and leaves the game after it resolves
>another opponent plays nicol bolas planeswalker the next turn
>too gassed out to do anything at that point

FOR FUN
>>
>>49565328
Sigarda's aid. Odric. Always watching.
>>
>>49564215
>implying we didn't want an Angel Husbando

Kalemne works best if you just consider everything printed below the first line as flavor text. Her XP counters are a trap, just deck her out in swords and she'll do fine.
>>
>>49565328
this was my stab at it
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kalemne-sitter-of-faces/
>>
>>49565426
I'll pass. My wallet cried just looking at that mess.
>>
File: 1458331333979.jpg (491KB, 1170x855px) Image search: [Google]
1458331333979.jpg
491KB, 1170x855px
/EDHG/ how do i convince my playgroup that diversifying your mana base is almost essential in edh? /i have several friends in my playgroup who dont seem to understand to run lands besides basic forest/mountains/plains/etc.

whenever i tell them
>"throw in terramorphic expanse/bant panorama/evolving wilds to shuffle your library as well as pulling two cards out of your deck for 1 cards"
their response is always
>"I DONT NEED TO SHUFLE WHEN I HAVE THE CARDS I HAVE 1 OF 99 CARDS IN MY DECK THAT WILL AVOID THAT PROBLEM"

It got to the point where I started to prove them wrong with math, and that the likelyhood of you pulling that specific card is like a
>"7% chance at the start of the game to pull that card"
and their response was
>"i understand the math and i understand it will help by increasing the percent chance of pulling into a win card, but i dont NEED it in my deck, my decks fine as it is"

im literally fighting autism.....help me tg......
tl:dr niggers dont like math and dont understand percentages, how do i convince them to run something besides "basic mana"?
>>
>>49565255
Dit
>>
File: wwwAAAAAAAA.jpg (48KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
wwwAAAAAAAA.jpg
48KB, 480x360px
>>49565587
Build a 5 color deck utilizing mazes end, all of the signets, manafixing lands, a shitload of fetch lands, child of alara as commander, door to nothingness, as many fog effects as you can. Build a deck literally to show off mana fixing, fetch lands, etc. Don't win through damage, win through alternate conditions, maybe helix pinnacle. Definitely mazes end. If they won't listen to you, force them to SEE it work
>>
>>49565587
Maybe you should stop being an asshole.
>>
So I played EDH for the first time in a while last night and I think I need a new deck. My play group consistently wrecks me because I'm that guy who isn't competitive. I'm happy to sit and see if I can pull of silly combos, but that leads me to be the target early on, so i never get started.
What commanders, would you recommend who's fun to play, and won't lead to me getting shit on?
>>
>>49565744
What colors do you like?
>>
>>49565328

equipments + stonehewer giant
>>
>>49565753
White, Green, and Blue.
I think that be part of my problem though. I know Red is usually considered garbage in EDH, but I've literally never played Black.
>>
>>49565397
Anon, please don't use the F word. There is no need to be vulgar.
>>
>>49564914
They can't handle a skeleton deck? Jesus.
>>
File: Phelddagrif_AL.jpg (59KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Phelddagrif_AL.jpg
59KB, 312x445px
>>49565779
Mono red runs into many issues. It's good with support. Black is fun as fuck and you can build pretty budget with a mono black commander. You can get a solid enderek sahr deck for cheap. Honestly, you may really like flicker.deck , or, in other words, roon of the hidden realms. He's GWU, incredibly fun,and is PACKED with value.

I've always loved pic related as commander as well. Go balls deep voltron.
>>
>>49565587
They'll come around when the idea is finally there own. If you know what I mean.
>>
>>49565587
if they're stupid fucks you can't fix them

most magic players are really, really bad at magic and don't care to change or improve
>>
>>49565737
maybe, ive always wanted to make a child abuse deck, never had an idea for it before but i might now

>>49565743
im not trying to be an asshole here, i would like to think most people see mana fixing as GOOD thing and HELPFUL but when people basically say "i understand math, but i refuse to use it" its alittle frustrating to see

i have a roon landfal deck that decimates the table everytime i pull it out STRICTLY because i have a good mana base, definitely not the best, but its good, and my group still doesnt see mana fixing as "useful"
>>
>>49565191
Necropotence is a very well designed card when it comes right down to it.
>>
>>49564914
maybe some sort of life gain & drain deck? or maybe that's too unfun for them too
>>
>>49564914
Oloro superfriends feat. Stasis effects
>>
>>49565851
I would like to hear their side of this story to see if you are truly being civil and polite when you try explaining it to them.
>>
>>49565744
If you like silly combos, just play good combos instead. Try a Momir Vig deck. Or Experiment Kraj. Or Prime Speaker Zegana. I played all of those as commanders for a similar deck at different times and I eventually added red to transform it into Intet, then Riku, and now Maelstrom Wanderer, but Blue/Green combo is very fun to play and quite competitive.

Building it is fairly self-explanatory, you need countermagic, lots of ramp, and combo pieces + redundancy through card draw and tutors.

some examples of combos in U/G:

Deadeye Navigator and Palinchron gives you infinite mana and allows you to flicker any creature as much as you want, it's quite easy to win with this (if Momir or Zegana are your commander, you don't even need to draw a 3rd specific card)

Mind Over Matter and Temple Bell/Arcanis The Omnipotent allows you to mill the other players out of the game as long as you have something in your deck that shuffles your graveyard back (I used Primal Command)

Tooth and Nail for Avenger of Zendikar and Regal Force gives you a huge advantage
>>
>>49565834
>You can get a solid enderek sahr deck for cheap

yeah me and another dude have been raving about endrek sahr in this thread for a week or two now. my deck is 60 bucks and holds up pretty damn well for the price point. it's not at "max power" though since it's meant for casual play, so no infinite combos or stuff like that.
>>
File: 28.jpg (58KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
28.jpg
58KB, 312x445px
>>49565834
follow up to this:
>>49565971
but i also recommend roon of the hidden realms if you want more goofy interactions that can be pretty powerful. pic related turns into a pretty powerful removal engine with that guy. no idea how viable the deck would be in a competitive environment though
>>
>>49565919
My main deck now is actually a Vorel of the Hull Clade token deck/giant ocean stuff theme. I'm sure I have a ton of staples for the colors now, but I really don't know what they're good at.
>>
>>49566016
do you have a full decklist somewhere? i could go over it and tell you what's really shit and what you should keep and suggest some other cards

if you don't want to type it out, a picture that's high enough quality for card names to be legible is fine too
>>
>>49564497
Go away Char.
>>
So i was thinking of getting a pic related for a simic deck and maybe my 5c deck , anyone playing with it currently (or before) and have an opinion on it?
>>
>>49566048
wow thats a really good card
>>
>>49566015
I actually had a Brago deck for a looooong time ago because I was such a fan of flicker. I love stupid silly combos, but I think it's time to expand my horizon and try other things. I want a commander that says "I'm done messing around" 9 times out of 10 i'm the least threatening person at the table, I'm looking to fix that.
>>
>>49566048
Love it. 5c staple.
>>
>>49566048
It's only good if you can cheat it out.
>>
File: seasonspast.jpg (45KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
seasonspast.jpg
45KB, 265x370px
>>49566048
forgot pic , im so good at this
>>
>>49566060
>>49566069
>>49566080
boo , it was seasons past and i forgot to post it
its here now >>49566083
>>
>>49566033
No.
I must force them into space.
>>
>>49565904
there were times i was being abit of a dick, ill admit it, but it was in order for them to see why they were wrong, like one of my friends, hates land destruction with a passion and refuses to run ghost quarter or anything along those lines of "an eye for an eye" yet he runs several mass land destruction in a boryborgomos enraged deck, not including ghost quarter.

so yea i was abit of a dick when i said he shouldnt be playing cards that go against his philosophy of magic, but i feel thats how everyone should play, why play a game with cards you dont like to use when you can play the game with cards you do like to use and have more enjoyment?
>>
>>49566083
Very good card. I've been using it and I love it.
>>
>>49566083
Probably pretty sweet in 5c decks. I use All Suns Dawn in Horde of Notions and it's good value, might try this out too.
>>
File: Image-1.jpg (33KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image-1.jpg
33KB, 223x310px
>>49566064
Can try pic related.
>>
>>49566151
>hates land destruction with a passion and refuses to run ghost quarter or anything along those lines of "an eye for an eye" yet he runs several mass land destruction
What a hypocrit. He seems to be operating under some ill-defined honor code. That he is blind to this should tell you a lot about how successful your endeavors to help him will be.
>>
File: NEcro[1].jpg (278KB, 474x1600px) Image search: [Google]
NEcro[1].jpg
278KB, 474x1600px
>>49565876
After making the glaring mistake that was Yawgmoth's Bargain, they talked about how much had actually gone into designing Necropotence and how important all the "inelegant" aspects of the card were.
>>
>>49566332
i get that, i forget what the cards were called, but i remember 2, there was one that was like "rite of" something that each player sacced lands for the cards in your hand then he had the cerberus from theros that when monsterous 3 and when it did each opponent sacced 3 lands

it was a bunch of horse shit when i found out that he ran land destruction when he EXPLICITLY stated that he refuses to play it and play against it
>>
>>49566317

kaalia gets hated out of the table almost instantly, sure, it's threatening, but maybe a little too much
>>
File: Image.jpg (34KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
34KB, 223x310px
>>49566407
this one?

and ember swallower (which is actually a dog-shaped elemental, mind you)
>>
>>49565100
>>49565216
>>49565830
My skele deck is lead by pic related. They live, they die, they live again. Nothing tends to spend more than 10 seconds dead or five turns in the grave yard. Then all my artifacts and enchantments let me kill them to blow up their shit, then they don't want to pay the life so I do it again. Or pay the life and I bring them back anyway. And nath just makes them discard for more 1/1 shit elves. They cry and fume, and tell me to "play real magic, not this bullshit!" I thought the 90 dollar skeleton deck would be weak enough but still fun, and all it does is make them rage Harder!
>>
>>49565587
Dude EDH is supposed to be fun, if you want to go full sperg lord go play modern
>>
File: latest.png (14KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
14KB, 250x250px
>>49566487
Show them the many ways to peel the skin off your opponent. No need to even switch colors. Black loves you baby.
>>
File: cultivators-caravan.png (262KB, 490x490px) Image search: [Google]
cultivators-caravan.png
262KB, 490x490px
So, how many people think this is going to be a new EDH staple?

An any color rock that can become a 5/5 blocker for 3 is fantastic.
>>
>>49566521
Nah dude, his friends are scrubs of the highest caliber. The man is doing gods work, fruitless as it may have been so far.
>>
>>49563917
Is she really that bad? Multiple combat steps would trigger melee each time wouldn't they? I was thinking of doing a build with Flanking, and Myriad cards.
>>
>>49566570
I know she does. I am thinking of that spirit that kills anything targeted by a spell or ability next..
>>
>>49565426
Stop posting your stupid shit tier magical realm fetish deck every thread
>>
>>49566582
>blocker
You're thinking too conservatively anon.
>>
>>49566582
Any deck that gives a single fraction of an iota of a fuck about artifacts certainly won't complain.
But there are many, many good rocks out there, and dodging wraths isn't as great as it could be when it's still gonna need a creature around to power it up after.
>>
>bought a Crucible of Worlds judge promo
>Inventions are announced the next week

Which is pimpier? Should I trade for the new one? I like the old card frame, but I like the Invention frame too aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>>
>>49566681
I think the invention is cooler but I wouldn't care too much as the current one you have is pretty pimp itself.
>>
>>49566624
Horobi is always the correct choice to inflict suffering.
From the same block might I also recommend big mana Maga?
>>
>>49566681
Old frame best frame. If I wasn't at work I'd post some sexy foils to bolster this opinion.
>>
>>49566681
I think the brown border is sexier but you should do you, anon
>>
File: angel of invention.png (117KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
angel of invention.png
117KB, 223x311px
>>49566681
Get both, cut them in half, then stick one half of each in a single sleeve. Bam, double pimp.

This is the best anthem-that-isn't-just-an-anthem ever printed. Only a narrow group of decks want it, but damn do I enjoy casting this motherfucker ever since I pulled it at the prerelease. Try it out if you have a use for tokens, anthems, or paltry lifegain.
>>
>>49566793
Well, yea, White weenies have to be happy.

Also, this with Cathar Crusade is so good.
>>
>>49566603
Shes only good in a weenie strategy and is crap by herself. Ideally your going to want to drop weenies on your first few turns, then play her and follow with an extra combat step next turn. If she eats removal or a board wipe happens before your get to attack, your left top decking, since your playing RW, the only color combination without good card draw or recursion.
>>
>>49566763
I think I love you. I am no high skill player, but the scrubs I play against are going to wail my name when I slip them the Big Black once I build these.
>>
>>49563968
imo, Iroas is a good commander.
>>
>>49563997
>white
>worst colour

It's only the colour with the most premium boardwipe and removal.
>>
>>49566582
this is basically just manalith outside of aggro decks

i don't see it being played much
>>
>>49565426
>this fucking deck again
Stop
>>
>>49566928
red is still the worst color in EDH. But white is considered second worst for a reason. That reason being white struggles and a mono color and needs the support of a second color to fully bring itself to bear, that color not being red.
>>
>>49564757
This is my commander in my "fuck you guys and your fun chaos deck" feels good when you warp world into emperion, platinum angel, Newlamog, and mana rocks
>>
>>49566928
Tell me Mr. Anderson. What good is removal if you can gas up after exhausting your resources?
>>
>>49565737
That actually sounds very excellent
>>
>>49567075
Worst but still fucking fun as all get-out
>>
>>49566582
I generally don't like giving up my mana rocks as blockers, this card seems very niche
>>
>>49567160
No disagreement there. I love my Diaochan "Blow-your-shit-up" deck.
>>
>>49567192
They don't do it as much anymore, but old red cards promoted so much weird bullshit that it's really hard not to be tempted by things like Diaochan and Starke. Even new-bordered stuff like Hidetsugu
>>
>>49567052
>>49566650
never
>>
>>49567306
Why dump all that money into a shit commander, in a shit color combo? Build Godo if you want to get your combat rocks off
>>
>>49567367
because beating them with Kalemne feels loads better
>>
>>49564406

The problem with boros generals is that they all play the same way, except for maybe Stoutarm. You throw your general down, throw some weenies/artifacts/whatever, and swing till you win. It's kinda dull.
>>
>>49567401
>Because beating off to Kalemne feels loads better
Fixed it
>>
File: UUUU.gif (896KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
UUUU.gif
896KB, 500x382px
>>49567510
>>
>>49567535
I originally got Kalemne because I thought she was a dude in the art
>>
>>49563968
Turns out that when you take the two worst colors for the format and stick them together, they're still pretty bad.
>>
>>49565328
here's my budget build
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/my-big-fat-greek-wedding-crasher/
>>
>>49566928
Yep, and then you still lose because you're still playing mono white and you still have no way to win the game.

>No card draw
>Majority of its creatures die to a stiff breeze
>The ones that don't aren't cost effective
>Lifegain gets shit on by commander damage and infect

It's like taking the gas out of a car and telling the owner they might as well scrap it. They just put gas in the car and you look like an idiot.
>>
>>49567760

White has very cost effective and resilient creatures

It's really just card draw and nothing else, there's not a single other weakness white has
>>
>>49567510
Because that's what Boros does. It's an aggressive, creature focused combination.
>>
I have a problem in my group where I seem to often, or only win by using combos even though none of my decks are dedicated combo decks. nobody plays enough disruption or creature removal for what our meta is like so I get away with it very frequently but I don't know what to tell them as they tend to complain about my decks far more than others.
Example combos:
Triskaeus
Palinchron + anything
Master Biomancer + Glen Elendra soft lockout.
Necrotic Ooze

I feel like these combos are for the most part very fair and easily disrupted yet I'm still the one who gets the most groans when we play.
>>
>>49567925
sounds like your playgroup needs to git gud
>>
>>49567950
Agree.
>>
>>49567925

Eventually they'll get it, they'll start leaving up instant speed removal when you reach the mid-late game
>>
>>49563968
they have to design them to not explode 20 life formats
>>
File: Entangler.jpg (27KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Entangler.jpg
27KB, 223x310px
Today on: Cards you wish you could justify playing

If only it was 2 or 3 mana or granted a keyword or two I would jam this shit straight into Uril.
>>
>>49568331
does fine in Bruna
>>
>>49567760
>No card draw
>Majority of its creatures die to a stiff breeze
This looks like a job for Skullclamp.
>>
File: Marauders.jpg (33KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Marauders.jpg
33KB, 223x310px
>>49568331
So close, and yet still so far.
>>
OK guys, I'm building super friends Edh. Gonna try creatureless (maybe control creatures like loxodon gatekeeper, silent arbiter and such)

What's the best commander for 5 color? Queen for chump blocks? Hivelord for a consistant blocker?

What are some things I should be looking for? Will I be auto threat? Do most people not know how slow super friends is?

Its gonna be wipes, bounces, bomby spells and walkers with cards that support them. Any info helps.
>>
>>49567810
>White has very cost effective and resilient creatures
This is true.
>only weakness is no card draw
I consider being the color of choice for supreme faglords a weakness. Black was here.
>>
>>49568389

desu I like Child of Alara better than the Slivers.

Remember to bring Maelstrom Nexus.
>>
>>49568389
>blocks
>blockers
You're doing it wrong my man.
>>
File: nahiri the harbinger.jpg (2MB, 1200x1593px) Image search: [Google]
nahiri the harbinger.jpg
2MB, 1200x1593px
So my store is going to be having a "planeswalkers are legal commanders" night. I'm bringing Nahiri. What secret tech do I pack in?
>>
>>49568586

>Boros

For what reason are you doing this to yourself?
>>
File: Garruk-Apex-Predator-MtG-Art.jpg (594KB, 990x1350px) Image search: [Google]
Garruk-Apex-Predator-MtG-Art.jpg
594KB, 990x1350px
>>49568586
>"planeswalkers are legal commanders" night
>not going full shit-lord with pic related
>>
>>49568601
She supplies the carddraw via looting that Boros lacks.
>>
File: obzedat.jpg (72KB, 730x384px) Image search: [Google]
obzedat.jpg
72KB, 730x384px
How many times do you playtest a version of a deck before you tweak it? I'm looking into swapping about 5-7 cards out of one of my decks, and I have played it in about 6 or 7 matches so far. I have an idea of the cards that just aren't doing it for me
>>
>>49568586
One part board wipes, one part land destruction, a sprinkle of wheel effects, and eldrazi titans to taste.
>>
>>49568611
I considered him, I just didn't want to put down money for a card that I would use for one night.
>>
File: surrak-dragonclaw.png (221KB, 243x349px) Image search: [Google]
surrak-dragonclaw.png
221KB, 243x349px
So I just tinkered with my Surrak deck, and I'm pretty happy with it.

I know the landbase is sub-par, but all my duals and stuff are in other decks right now. If I get the chance, I will be getting stuff like Stomping Grounds, Breeding Pool, and fetchlands.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/temur-goodstuff-4/

Mostly just about turning dudes sideways.
>>
>>49566486
thats it, i have one of those in my mono red deck and love it, havent played it against him yet but i want to see tthe look on his face as blow up majority of his lands.

im bad with names, but yea then he had one more land destruction, idk which one all i know is that it was a mass land destruction
>>
File: Teeg.jpg (16KB, 200x148px) Image search: [Google]
Teeg.jpg
16KB, 200x148px
>>49568586
Planeswalkers being legal commanders doesn't mean you should run one

Or that anyone else should get to
>>
>>49568615
I spend months molding a deck with theory and extensive goldfishing. When I'm satisfied with how my deck draws and plays out by turn seven, I purchase the parts I need and throw it together for testing with live rounds. Refine as needed.
>>
File: 14[1].jpg (73KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
14[1].jpg
73KB, 312x445px
Post cards you know you overvalue.

The first casual deck I ever built relied on the interaction between Sun Titan and Necromancy, and I put them in every deck I can.
>>
>>49568645
Jokes on you, I hate myself
>>
>>49566521
not trying to sperg, just trying to help friends actually make efficient decks, i just write like a sperg when im on taiwanese fetish forums.

>>49566602
y-you too...

>>49565836
no they wont, the same dude uses fucking sensei's divining top and doesnt seem to realize if he has 3 LANDS ON TOP when he is mana flooded, its better to shuffle up by cracking a land and hope for something better on top

>>49565847
ive come to realize that, im not the greatest either but i can still see when things are inefficient and to crazy to actually work.

also forgot to mention he runs a boryborgomos enraged with 50 mana, i will admit it was my idea in the beginning around a year or 2 ago, only so he can snipe creatures by discarding lands, but he doesnt need 50, its way to much i can only thank /edhg/ for helping me see i fucked up with alot of my earlier decks
>>
>>49568684
Oh, you're not over valuing it. Necromancy is that good.
>tfw when flash in mancy
>targeting obliterator
>block
Or my favorite
>flash in targeting Kederekt Leviathan
I'll let that last one sink in.
>>
>>49568620
>One part board wipes
check
>one part land destruction
checkaroo
>a sprinkle of wheel effects
Got to put down for a couple of the cheap ones
>and eldrazi titans to taste.
I've got ROE Kozilek and Blightsteel for this. The synergy and reusability is great. I think Greater Gargadon and Ashnod's Altar is the way I want to go to prevent them getting path'd/plowshared.

>>49568645
As hilarious as this would be, I would feel bad about ruining everybody's night.

>>49568689
God I hope there's some masochist who shows up with a pimped out Tibalt deck.
>>
>>49565587

The deck-thinning effect of fetch-lands on an EDH deck is so fucking tiny that it is in no way worth it to include fetches solely for that purpose.
>>
>>49568612
With that in mind, play White effects that get you Plains in your hand.

You could also go Artifacts Matter and use Daretti style strategies to make use of the looting. Making it an Artifact deck also lets you put a range of big Artifact creatures to grab with Nahiri's ultimate.
>>
>>49564461
>Ability resolving
>"Oh hey you have 5 creatures right now."
>You get a 5/5 construct
People like you are why Magic is becoming a worse game.
>>
>>49566487
List?
>>
File: 3hnueij4kd_storyshot.jpg (143KB, 700x399px) Image search: [Google]
3hnueij4kd_storyshot.jpg
143KB, 700x399px
If I manage to Dredge Ulamog/Kozilek, does the dredge card get shuffled, or does it just go to my hand first?
>>
>>49568906
I'm fairly sure the dredge card goes to your hand
>>
>>49568906
Hand.
>>
>>49568906
The triggered ability to shuffle your graveyard into your library won't be put onto the stack until you have completely finished dredging and returned the card to your hand.
>>
>>49566866
Seconded.

Iroas turns all your combats into one-sided beatdowns, and halves effective blockers.
Also if you've got the devotion, he's got a sweet Power of 7 for probably a 3-hit death by Commander Damage.
2 or less if you're running as many damage doublers and anthems as I am.
>>
>>49568785
I'd say the shuffle effect is more valuable desu
>>
>>49568906
Ula/Kozi is a triggered ability, which make it go on the stack. However, Dredge is resolving, which means Ula/Kozi will wait after full resolution of the dredge ability because resolving
>>
>>49568945
>Scroll Rack/Top + fetchlands
Value, senpai.
>>
>>49568850
People like you are why it's already bad.
>>
>>49568957
indeed famalam
>>
>>49565397
I'm sure he was having fun
>>
>>49568939
so that goes the same with Gitrog's ability on land being milled, the dredge milling goes first, then card draw after?
>>
>>49568998
Yes. If you mill any number of lands while dredging, you'll wait until each card is milled and the dredge card is back in your hand before you draw.
>>
>>49566866
>>49568944
I run Aurelia. She doesn't see combat until I know I can win with her. Great at securing victories. Thanks haste.

Also fun is Anax and Cymede. Power couple Voltron leads an army.
>>
>>49569360
Your deck is private.
>>
File: 15[1].jpg (68KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
15[1].jpg
68KB, 312x445px
If I play some mass artifact hate like this or Titania's Song, it's alright if I play a few other artifacts in my deck, right? Somebody is bound to get angry and blow it up before multiple turns pass?

It's probably going to end up a Bant Enchantress deck so I don't need that many artifacts, and I guess I'm wondering how much I should hate on them.
>>
>>49569541
At least a little bit. Especially if there is a decent threshold of artifacts being bandied about. Might I recommend Aura of Silence.
>>
>>49569586
Absolutely, it looks like a good card. I think I have a copy of Stony Silence somewhere, too.

Of course, too much artifact hate can also become redundant.
>>
>>49567731
Where's sigarda's aid?
>>
On the topic of "RW Commanders Are All The Same", has anyone ever tried a legend-ball strategy with them?
Stuff as many legendary creatures as you can into a shell that supports general beatdown strategies and run shit like Heroes Podium. There are plenty of white and red legendary creatures that also fit the aggressive shell.

Any other legendary-specific tech for this stupid, stupid idea?

On an unrelated note, I feel like we're so close to getting good card draw options in WR- especially with the Monarch mechanic and Depala- and yet so far away. Thoughts?
>>
>>49569075
Anax and Cymede seems rather meh really.
I'd rather play Zada.
I do play Zada.
I love Zada.
>>
>>49568295
Are there any RW legendaries who came close to doing that?
>>
>>49569882
Lin sivi
>>
>>49569909
>16 years ago
Slightly before my time, but yeah I heard about her.

Strange coincidence that she provides card advantage and was considered good. It's probably nothing.
>>
>>49568331
Mizzix fixed one of my problems and allowed me to justify playing Goblin Game
>>
>>49570034
Because the core design of white is that it is not allowed to have outright card advantage

card parity is a maybe
>>
>>49563984
They've been coming up with multiplayer mechanics that discourage targeting one guy which is usually most efficient but less friendly in multiplayer. Melee is actually pretty good at it tbqh. It's not myriad but oh well adriana is imo better than Agrus kos for a go wide commander as long as you consistently play in pods of 4+. The boost of 3+ can be enough to just take out everyone at once versus one at a time. She'd much better if there were more melee creatures tjough because stacking it is where you really put on the damage.
>>
File: 04042006bleiweiss1.jpg (82KB, 372x520px) Image search: [Google]
04042006bleiweiss1.jpg
82KB, 372x520px
Gonna be building pic related from scratch tonight. Anyone have any secret tech for her?
>>
>>49566928
White is worse mono color imo. red has stronger mono color decks I think. But it immediately becomes much better paired with any color besides red. Red doesn't offer much to other colors that black or white can't do better. It's pretty exclusively land destruction barring a few exceptions.
>>
>>49570406
Bitterblossom
Murderous Redcap
Gravepact effects
>>
>>49570430
red also has haste, which is pretty useful for alpha striking in casual EDH
>>
>>49569815
This is a cute idea. White also has the legendary enchantment that buffs legends.
>>
File: optimist.jpg (18KB, 310x296px) Image search: [Google]
optimist.jpg
18KB, 310x296px
>>49566317
You will win exactly one game with Kaalia.
Then your group will hate fuck her out of existence every single time you play again.
Kaalia is good only once.
The deck ends up making you sit around and do literal nothing turn after turn because your hand is full giant shit you can't cast.
And by now everyone else has developed giant rape machines so once you can cast all that expensive shit it will have zero impact.

I will never recommend Kaalia if you actually want to play magic.
>>
>>49570729

I think the way to play kaalia is control the board and play only like 10-15 fatties, enough to have 1-3 in your hand during the midgame so you can play a hasty kaalia at some point and do something splashy like Balefire dragon somebody's board out of nowhere
>>
>>49570729
Last time I had Kaalia together I had her put together in such a way that there were games where she was swinging on turn 2, though usually on turn 3.
>>
>>49570729
this is mostly true, but i think good kaalia decks don't actually need to play a huge amount of dudes. they just play the really good ones and tutor them up when its time to win (rakdos the defiler, balefire dragon, etc. etc.)

jamming your deck with janky shit just because it matches the creature type is a rookie mistake

it's still true that kaalia decks do not work in multiplayer though
>>
>>49570826
Not trying to be an asshole.
But your meta has to be more chill than mine.
Everyone has Path, Swords, and counters for days. The guy that plays Kaalia in or meta hasn't got to turn her sideways in at least a year. Then again he doesn't play her much anymore because she is outclassed in our meta with a Malestrom Wander, Zur, Teferi (walker), and an Elesh Norn.
She just gets absolutely hosed.
We all have fast removal because Zur, Kaalia, Norn are never allowed to get on board.
>>
>>49570903
Even with 1-mana removal spells in each players' decks, there are going to be times where nobody has them and you just get in there anyway. The way it tended to play out was either they burned through early removal until Kaalia was irrelevant and you could get your big creatures out in other ways, or they'd just die to an early landing.
>>
>>49570723
The idea's cute but I'm not sure exactly how much support it has.
Best I can drum up is Champion's Helm, Hero's Blade, Konda's Banner, Thalia's Lancers, Day of Destiny, and Loyal Retainers. A couple of lands if you want to go all the way, but Eijango Castle seems weak and Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep is okay at best.

As for which legends to go for, and how many... that'll be a headache and a half.
>>
>>49568689
>Can Sudden Impact every four turns
Actually not too bad if Teeg's in the mix.
>>
Would you say you prefer optimal decks or stylized ones?
>>
>>49571490
Stylized, always stylized.
Doesn't hurt that it's usually cheaper too.
>>
>>49571490
Stylized of course, I just built my optimized ones for when I used to play at the LGS, but nowadays it's all around the kitchen table. Couldn't be happier. Lot of fucking autists at the LGS.
>>
>>49566793
Marshal's Anthem.
>>
>>49571490
Fun decks, which to me means stylized. I like cool interactions that don't break flavor and aren't tryhard as fuck
>>
>>49571490
somewhere in between

i don't want to fuck around with 6 hour games where nothing happens because all the cards are shit, but i also don't want to play a game that's over in 4 minutes because some autistic fag built a prison deck and nobody can untap lands or resolve spells
>>
>>49571490
id rather have a fun deck, its the whole reason why i even play EDH. when i want to go full try hard i do it with standard
>>
>>49571490

Optimal decks are more fun for me, I like it when I only draw good cards and never have to hope my opponents take pity and let my deck work
>>
>>49571490
I have no library and I must draw cards.
>>
>>49571228
There's also Untaidake
>>
>>49572341
We don't play Untaidake
>>
File: dead dragon.jpg (236KB, 750x450px) Image search: [Google]
dead dragon.jpg
236KB, 750x450px
>>49571490
Stylized. Eventually I transition to optimal but I wanna play things I find cool mostly opposed to boring sure win things. Especially if the deck turns into get certain combo pieces for sure win every game.

I hear about decks that win turn 5 and that sounds boring as shit when the game is 100 card singleton and built around having interactions with other players.
>>
>>49571490
optimal with a little flair, if you go too much style your deck just ends up being too clunky to actually enjoy
>>
What would be the best creature to search up with tooth and nail, along with Skithiryx, to get the kill if I give him haste? Wolfir silverheart gives +4/+4 but I need the full 6 to get a kill of the attack but can't think of any creatures.
>>
>>49572830
Probably Craterhoof if you have creatures, I don't know what colors you're in. If you're in Jund you can get Rubblehulk and only put Skittles on the field, then Bloodrush with 6 lands in play.
>>
What's the best way to build UG Ezuri? Infect?
>>
>>49568631
Anyone got comments/additions to this?
>>
>>49568684
Necromancy is animate dead with flash. Animate dead is one of the best cards in the game. After you have reanimate and animate slotted, necromancy is your next pick.
>>
>>49566064
I used to be like that too. Then I built her.

Mind Over Matter is a must tho.
>>
>>49568586
Tezzeret. Cram him full of tutors and find the pieces you need to lock everyone out of the game.

Stasis Teferi works too.
>>
>>49572524
>turn 5
>not turn 1-3
>>
>>49572830
Can't really be done unless you have mana to spare. If you DO have mana to spare, Moonveil Dragon and Stonewright would do it.

If you have any sort of anthem effect giving +1/+0 you can also use Xenagos, God of Revels or Silverblade Paladin.
>>
>>49573112
>>49573406
I'm in BUG unfortunately, and not really running too many creatures. I guess I'll just search gatherer
>>
>>49573467

i think if you really want tooth and nail into skithyryx to work you should consider putting rune scarred demon and skithyryx into play and using the demon's tutor to find become immense

11 mana total, 9 for T&N, 1 for haste, 1 for become imense, and it only kills one person, but it seems like your best bet with skithyryx
>>
>>49573516
That actually seems really good, and definitely what I'd play. Thanks anon
>>
>>49573364
>Multiplayer format
>40 life
>100 card singleton
>I want to win in the first three turns
Congrats, Spike, you've spiked so hard you've actually become Dave.
>>
>>49571490
I try to do stylized, but certain color combos end up brining out the optimization machine inside of me. To combat this I've constructed 2-3 hype-optimized decks which has allowed me to go back to building flavorful and neat concepts that may not be the best they could possibly be.

My current brews are Izzet Wizards & Jund Lizards.
>>
>>49566487
Please tell me you run Grimoire of the Dead, even if is just for flavor.
>>
>>49567075
>red is still the worst color in EDH.
I'm inclined to say that Daretti (and basically Daretti alone) makes this somewhat false.

Don't let anyone bullshit you, the strongest color in all of Magic will forever be brown, and Daretti is the best brown commander in the game.
>>
So /tg/ i recentely acquired new Thalia through a trade.

How do y'all feel about her heading a generic monowhite deck? (Tokens, Anthems, Equipment, Wraths, Angels)
>>
>>49573850
Put her in the 99, buy a Hokori, build a stax deck
>>
>>49568855
Sorry, I don't have one made up, but the main idea of it is an easy one, and can be coppied easily. Get all the smallest, weakest things you can find. One cost 1/1s, 0/1s, whatever. The only super required creatures are reassembling skeleton and I think it is called Mad skeleton? 1 costs that you can bring back from the grave for two or three mana any way, which makes sure they don't want to pay the life. Then get sac engines and things like death pact. Every time a weenie dies, they lose a creature, and then they don't wsnt to pay three life to keep a 1/1 that you can get back for two mana in the yard anyway.
>>
Best Commander/Deck to ruin everybody else's games of Solitare/Race to get their combo pieces?
>>
>>49574074
Wrexial mill/steal.

All their wincon is belong to you.
>>
>>49564461
They count themselves. P/T is static. Obvious to anyone who knows how magic works, retard
>>
>>49574074
Norin turbo-CitR
>>
File: DoItFaggot.jpg (46KB, 458x640px) Image search: [Google]
DoItFaggot.jpg
46KB, 458x640px
>>49568586
Show them who's boss
>>
Does he have to be the target after a decent number of loops kills every other flier?
>>
>>49574531
He would be the only legal target if there is no other fliers.

Plus you don't have to do it, or at least deal lethal damage to him. Unless he's indestructible, then go nuts. Just remember how to stack the triggers and you'll be comboing off just fine.
>>
So quick question does anyone know of cards that get +x +x for cards in graveyards besides wright of precinct six and consuming aberration, someone at my lgs mentioned some cards like that but I can't remember what he said and gatherer isn't turning up anything.

It;s going into a phenax mill deck so basically anything that grows with the graveyards.
>>
>>49573533
>not wanting to be Dave
>>
>>49573794
He's good, but PW Teferi is better. Also everyone gets to run all the best artifacts, mono-red just limits you to meiocrity alongside them.
>>
>>49574618
Teferi costing 5 (and not being a hasty Goblin Welder and looter) really limits it specifically in the artifact department.

Plus it doesn't have my favorite combo: Daretti and enough mana to hardcast Decree.
>>
>>49573185
Consider adding Hellkite Charger. It's super sweet with Savage Ventmaw and Sword of Feast and Famine (but best with Bear Umbra).

My temur badstuff has a permanent hate boner for artifacts, so I replaced signets/keyrunes with dorks and land ramp, and threw in Hammer Mage and Energy Flux.

I'm testing out Rashmi, and I either get value, or it eats a removal spell. Might be better than Bloodbraid Elf, even though it's not immediate.

I'm definitely gonna try out Keeper of the Keys to make it easier to win during the Overwhelming Stampede/Pathbreaker Ibex turn.

I'd probably cut/replace first
>Boartusk Liege
>Frost Titan
>Simic Sky Swallower
>Keyrunes and Banner
>>
>>49573533
what in god's name is a dave
>>
File: Blood-Moon-Art.jpg (48KB, 640x470px) Image search: [Google]
Blood-Moon-Art.jpg
48KB, 640x470px
>>49575114
I can't let you know that, Dave...
>>
>>49575114
>>49575469
Hard luck, Dave! Always knew you were a bit weak.
>>
can I play boom/blast in tiny leaders?
>>
So I have brutal Daretti stax, a fast Shu-Yun voltron.
Now I just need a combo deck and a midrange deck to round out the lineup.
Who do I build for combo and midrange respectively?
Combo would probably be Grixis. Someone last thread mentioned Doomsday -> Cantrip, LED, Minds Desire into Beacon of Destruction for each storm. Anyone got a list for that? I'm too poor for imperial seal but the rest of the cards I can get.
And who for midrange? I think mono G or GW would be ideal to round out my colours.
>>
>>49575620
Of course not. Boom//Bust has both cmcs of 1 and 6
>>
>>49575675
I don't have a list for the Doomsday deck, but if I remember correctly you cast a tutor to your hand, hold priority and crack LED for triple black, grab doomsday and cast it. You need a cantrip to get into the pile, but you stack Gush > Pact of Negation > Gitaxian Probe>Mind's Desire > Beacon of Destruction. Beacon will shuffle back and you just do 5 damage per storm trigger. You can probably change out the pact but it's nice to have some built in protection.
>>
>>49575821
mind helping me with the deck?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-09-16-kAV-grixis-combo/
I'm probably going to build this or my first EDH deck, Arcanis. But this time as an EVEN MORE efficient combo deck as opposed to a t4-5 kill
>>
>>49575675

please post shu-yun.
>>
>>49575847
So I'd suggest throwing in nights whisper, Lim Dul's Vault, frantic search, palinchron and deadeye navigator, fabricate, vampiric tutor, dark petition, chain of vapor is really useful to bounce something like mana crypt/vault, high tide, gamble, Swan song, merchant scroll, yawgmoth's will, past in flames, wheel of fortune/windfall, grim tutor, turnabout, time spiral and ad nauseum. Obviously it does depend on your budget for the deck, because some aren't as necessary. Then of course lotus petal, chrome Mox, Mox opal, LED and Mox diamond.
>>
Hypothetically, let's assume someone has every legal eldrazi titan, praetor, and generally giant piece of nonsense. What would be the best deck to cram all that jazz into?
>>
>>49565328
Equips with counters, proliferate
>>
>>49575114
An addition to Timmy/Johnny/Spike.

Dave is having fun when his opponent isn't.
>>
File: Lim-Dul.jpg (34KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Lim-Dul.jpg
34KB, 223x310px
How do I build this bad boy?

Just stack a whole pile of removal and play some weird voltron setup?

Maybe I could play some hard stax with edicts and abuse floating mana?

I'm honestly at a loss, he seems like he would be good but I haven't been able to use him in a deck without feeling profoundly meh about it.
>>
>>49575959
5 colour goodstuff?
>>
>>49576126
See, I was thinking maybe Bant with Kruphix, doubling cube and green Omnath. Elesh Norn, Vorinclex and Jin seem to go together pretty well, even though Urabrask is my underrated favorite.
>>
>>49575888
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shu-yun-jeskai-memelord/
The deck is really hard to play, but more often than not it's a T4 kill.
You can swap out the landbase if you don't have the expensive lands.
>>49575944
What do I do for mana rocks? Only the 0 mana ones in the interest of storm or should I also include signets and other 2cmc rocks.
I'll probably include mass bounce+wraths+cantrips to fill out the rest of the slots
My budget is quite lenient as I have an extensive collection and can build almost anything really. I'm not gonna go ahead and buy Imperial Seal/Grim Tutor for just this deck as I have no vintage deck that needs them
>>
>>49576186
So obviously include sol ring, mana crypt, mana vault, basalt monolith and grim monolith can be useful. I personally like adding signets for fixing and they're always decent to ramp. Thran dynamo and gilded lotus are personal auto includes. Obviously through in Cyclonic Rift and Vandal blast, black sun's zenith is awesome if you're running all the ramp, and if you have Urborg then Mutilate is awesome.
>>
>>49570406
Heartstone
>>
File: 125.jpg (63KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
125.jpg
63KB, 312x445px
>>49564409
Everyone sacs a mana rock, you sac a Servo. Might backfire against Daretti and the likes but seemed like a good idea when I was scanning green artifact-matters cards. Damnit Wizards if you are going to make a monoG artifact Commander give us some stuff to work with
>>
File: 1.jpg (70KB, 400x559px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
70KB, 400x559px
What do you guys recommend for boardwipe tribal?
>>
>>49576398

Boardwipes.

Also, Child of Alara in the chair.
>>
>>49576398
Child of Alara or Zurgo.
>>
>>49565587
The best way is to point out utility lands, and relate that to having 'extra' spells and effects inside their manabase, rather than spell cards and land cards. If they don't understand that, or are unwilling to spend (literally) a few dollars on some nonbasics that 'do stuff', then forget about it and show them on the table instead. If it still doesn't catch on, then maybe you should enjoy it and crush them whilst it lasts
>>
File: 1463627521175.png (1MB, 1100x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1463627521175.png
1MB, 1100x1000px
>>49576398
Avacyn.

Just have plenty of artifact ramp and Land Tax, then fill it to the brim with boardwipes.
>>
>>49573208
Zero scrolls in that picture , 3/10
>>
>>49567925
On the one hand, people can interact with you, Bribery or Clone your stuff to hijack off your combo pieces, etc etc. Obligatory "Your friends need to git gud"

Triskelion, Ooze, have their niche uses outside of combo (which is irrelevant cos you're fucking using them to combo in the first place), but you can always just *not* use them with your friends if they are tired of the same shit. Put in something else that you find fun and they can tolerate, change it up and use the stuff that didn't make the final cut but you thought about including. Random Helldozer? Man up and play Abyssal Persecutor or Demon of Death's Gate? Don't act like Ooze and Trisk aren't a fucking easy option to win with (especially if the people you play with are too lazy to adjust or run more answers).

Palincron is in the same boat. Sure, he can attack and block stuff.... but that's not why you include him in your 99. 'Whoops I topdecked a Mana Doubler' is not an excuse.

I've been in the same situation, and really, its up to you. You can always change it, put them in for a less casual game day, take them out for your butthurt friends, whatever. But don't act like they are in the 99 without intent to be degenerate.
>>
>>49576886
I run Palinchron in Rashmi because it's almost a guaranteed free cast and he returns to my hand afterwards for sick card advantage, yo. Problem is I also want to run mana doublers because they're mana doublers.

I have a similar problem in a white deck; Karmic Guide and Reveillark are each good cards on their own but if I draw the combo well fuck it's kind of an insult to my friends if I just... keep the game going even though I drew the win.

So! Do I
>Bite the bullet and take out half the combo or
>Continue as I have been and hope I just don't draw it
>>
File: warner_tron2.jpg (174KB, 1600x829px) Image search: [Google]
warner_tron2.jpg
174KB, 1600x829px
>>49577001
Option two with a minor caveat. Pull the trigger when you draw it. Don't be a pussy. FINISH THE GAME
>>
>>49576067
Dave is having fun because his opponent isn't.
>>
Why does pact of negation have to be so God damn expensive
>>
>>49577001
Your group just needs to git gud. You do you.
>>
>>49577208
Modern played
>>
File: You're a big Crab.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
You're a big Crab.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
>>49567561
>>
>>49566487
>only God I opened is a foil Athreos

I should do this.
>>
>>49564271

Feather being a combination of Impact Tremors and Mentor of the Meek would be kick ass, but I'd be willing to settle for IT + Soul Warden or IT + Cathar's Crusade if that's the route they go instead.
>>
>>49564673

I'd play the shit out of that.
>>
>>49566317

Add Reconnaisance.
>>
Does anyone have a discard deck I can take a look at? I'm debating between RB discard and stax, UB Lazav cherry picking, or UBR Jeleva Discard
>>
>>49577399
If you really want to do mass discard, play Leovold BUG goodstuff with Windfall effects. But seriously don't do that. Don't do Discard.dec unless you want to upset people
>>
>>49577634
>Leovold
That was a backup commander I had in mind, but I need to build Mimeoplasm first or my OCD will get all out of wack.

Anyways, I was planning on making some weird hybrid reanimator discard/harness by force type thing where the gameplan is to steal everyone's everything, while forcing them to discard things at the speed of light.
>>
>>49576868
The text box is blocking them.
>>
Does a nonland permanent enchanted with Song of the Dryads survive a Planar Cleansing? If so, why? If not, why not?
>>
>>49577767
I suggest Chainer.
>>
>>49564673
I would love this.
>>
>>49577876
It's a land, so it survives. Song would be destroyed, so the permanent would become a non-land after Planar Cleansing resolves.
>>
>>49563917
Can someone help me out with what always seemed to be the biggest "lolwtf" about Commander?
> Vintage-legal cards
> bans Lotus, Moxen
What gives
>>
>>49577937
Hey that's a stupid but novel idea

>enchant your own beater with Song
>cast Planar Cleansing
>start slapping people around with your sole creature
>>
>>49577937
Thank you.
So Planar Cleansing never sees the land become non land and try to include it, all that matters is it was a land when the destruction started.
>>
Hi guys, I built this deck with cheap cards plus whatever I already had for £10, is it remotely good?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dragonlord-atarka-rg/

First time building an EDH deck from scratch so no idea if it has the right amount of stuff? Concept behind the deck is to get out a load of flying dragons and use fight effects/pump enchants to win.

Was built for a 4th player to compete in our playgroup; we run 1 Meren precon, 1 modified Daxos (with gods, god artifacts, etc) and 1 voltron kalemne build with extra angels. Though the meta is very casual as we haven't ventured much off the 2015 precons yet.

So any help would be great!
>>
>>49578122
Well, it's very clear you're new to edh. Have you tested this deck out yet?
>>
>>49578169
Yes, I've tested it against myself, it seems to go alright. What could be improved?
>>
>>49577966
It's especially funny because lotus isn't even good in EDH. Even on turn 1 a three mana ritual doesn't net you much unless you just happened to have the perfect hand.
>>
File: Soldier of Fortune.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Soldier of Fortune.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
>>49575114
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/articles/15810-the-fourth-psychographic

Dave is a dickhole who plays to screw everyone else over. He's only there to waste everyone else's time and ruin their fun.

He's the type of person who'll run a deck made out of fetch effects just to spend so long shuffling that the game gets called because the store closes.
>>
>>49578122
>>49578296
your cmc is kinda high and your ramp amount is a little too low. for a 4 cmc deck, i'd recommend at least 12 ramp cards, and mostly the land ramp kind since artifacts get wiped frequently

theres some other stuff you could tune up but that's the most glaring problem to me
>>
>>49578122
Generally, atarka builds go for one shot kills with atarka, abusing commander damage. Honestly, cut out a few dragons and misc high cmc creatures, put in land ramp like cultivate, kodamas reach, harrow, etc. Cut down to 38 lands if you do this. Green is really good at land ramping, so abuse it. You have some artifact removal, which is good. Consider rancor, or pump effects in green (giant growth kinda things) to get the most of double strike, use cards like messenger speed to ensure atarka can swing immediately and hit hard as fuck. Souls might is always good. Personally, I'd run ways to protect atarka as well from spot removal (ie alpha authority).

There's nothing wrong with wanting to just go dragon tribal, though. Feel free to build however you like, as variety is the heart of edh. If nothing else, put in a shitload of land ramp and cut down to 38 lands.

Glad to have new commander players !
>>
>>49578296
Playtest it with your group first. I can help you out but in general, you have the major concepts down. You have the right number of lands, you have a solid ratio of creatures to other things, and you have a general strategy. Go test it out and see if it's at the right powerlevel.

Now, the reason I asked was because if this deck works well for your group, you shouldn't change it too much. I can suggest a ton of fancy inexpensive things you could use, but if you blow out all your friends, they wont want to play with you anymore.

In general, when building Gruul, this is my advice:
>8-10 draw spells. Doesn't matter how you get cards, you'll burn through a lot of them so you need to be able to restore your hand. Prioritize things that draw multiple cards, or let you sculpt your hand. Green also has access to the best creature related tutors in magic, so use that to your advantage.
>8-10 pieces of acceleration. I'm referring to things like Sol Ring and Explosive Vegitation. You want to prioritize things that create multiple mana cheaply and things that drop multiple basics onto the battlefield over anything else.
>Removal is more complicated in Gruul, and generally there are two philosophies: either focus on combat and remove other permanents with green, or use whatever removal you can find in red to kill creatures, while winning before your opponent can establish their board state.

From there I can suggest more powerful things, but like I said, if everyone is at your level, you may not really need anything else until they get better cards.
>>
>>49577966
Moxen and Lotus are considered TOO fast and price restrictive for the vast majority of players, so they were banned.

Expecting people to buy and play Lotus and moxen in EDH, a kitchen table multiplayer "fun" format was something the designers of the format didn't want to deal with.

Not every card is banned because its broken or abuse able, some are banned just because they are negative play experiences for players or are way to costly to the average player.

Already a competitive 3 color EDH deck needs the fetches, the duels, shocks and the fast ramp, making them need 500+ dollar moxen and 3000+ dollar Lotus is insane.

While I really don't think any of them are actually broken in this game, I can understand the price problem.
>>
>>49578402
>>49578425
>>49578443
Thanks for the advice folks. I'll save these and see how it does at the weekend to see if it needs tweaks. :)
>>
>>49578489
Best of luck!
Report back with how you do
>>
File: Ruric Thar, Gaper of Anuses.jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Ruric Thar, Gaper of Anuses.jpg
30KB, 223x310px
>>49578489
No problem anon, I'm always here and Gruul is my favorite type of deck to play, so feel free to ask as many questions as you need.
>>
What's the average land:spells ratio? I'm putting together a fully colorless Emrakul deck so I've got a high curve but plenty of mana rocks. How many lands should I be running?
>>
>>49578575
Different Anon here

Actually, since we are on the talk of Gruul... I was considering Thromok for a fun devouring deck when I run people over with a huge ass worm.

What kinds of token producers and land ramp should I consider for the deck and what would be the good draw sources for something like this?
>>
>>49578724
My friend has a thromok deck. Kher keep, krenko, parallel lives, doubling season, jade mage, krenkos command, all good cards. Messengers speed and fling were the scariest things in the deck. Miren the moaning well is also solid.
>>
>>49578714
I'd try 36-35. Depending on the efficiency of the rocks, you may be able to get away with lower
>>
>>49578724
Friend of mine ran a casual Thromok deck. Some things to consider:
Dragonlair Spider
Dragon Broodmother
Verdant Force
Tempt with Vengeance
Night Soil
Mitotic Slime
Soul's Fire
Ogre Battledriver
Firecat Blitz
Mercadia's Downfall
>>
>>49578714
Between 36-40, depending on the type of ramp you have available, your curve, and the type of rocks you have.

>>49578724
Oh, many MANY things.

Token Producers:
>MYCOLOTH
>Dragonlair Spider
>Awakening Zone
>Ant Queen
>Wolfbriar Elemental
>Kozilek's Predator
>Nest Invader
>Verdant Force
>Angry Omnath
>Rapacious One
>Emrakul's Hatcher

Land Ramp:
>Far Wanderings
>Explosive Vegitation
>Burnished Heart
>Explore
>Cultivate
>Rampant Growth
>Sakura-Tribe Elder
>Kodama's Reach

Draw:
>Harmonize
>Irresistible Prey (personal favorite for these types of deck)
>Wild Guess
>Faithless Looting
>Tormenting Voice
>Shamanic Revelation
>Fruit of the Kin Tree
>Soul of the Harvest
>>
>>49578849
>>49578724
Also, the most underrated planeswalker ever, Garruk Wildspeaker.
>>
>>49578888
Wildspeaker isn't that underrated. He was arguably the best of the original 5.
>>
>>49578923
He's easily in the top 10 planeswalkers ever printed, and deserves to be insanely expensive, particularly with the dreck coming out of standard right now. Any deck with green should run him, but I'm kind of glad they dont, for whatever arbitrary reason.

Same with Krakens Kiora. She is seriously powerful, but a little more niche.
>>
>>49578963
>deserves to be insanely expensive
>Pretty much only a Cube/EDH card
>Has seven printings

Yeah, nah.
>>
>>49579099
Six reprints.

Two of them are Duel Decks, one of them is a Commander product, and the other three are 10, 11 and Lorwyn respectively.

Consider the following:
>Mana Vault has 9 reprints
>Mana Crypt has 5, two of them in the last calendar year
>Jace the Wallet Sculptor has 4 reprints
>LotV has one.
>>
File: 16[1].jpg (55KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
16[1].jpg
55KB, 312x445px
>>49579161
You forgot XBOX Garruk.

Also, consider the following:
>Mana Vault is like $13
>Mana Crypt's printings are all short runs or promos
>Jace is played in Legacy and his reprints are also all short runs

Why even mention Liliana?
>>
>>49579227
>>49579227

New thread
>>
>>49579161

>"What the fuck is "print volume"?"
>"Being printed in a From the Vault is the same as being printed in a duel-deck, right?"
>"I'm pretty sure that Revised was just as heavily printed as the modern Core sets"
t. Literally You
>>
>>49578452

Moxen are definitely broken dude
>>
>>49565328
siguardas blessing, destructive urge corvax, elesh norn
>>
>>49580267
Nah bruh. Just designed when the game wasn't expected to see annual expansions.
>>
>>49574530
My friend has Emrakul built. If he's not going, I'm going to borrow that deck and put Karn at the helm.
Thread posts: 336
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.