[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 62

File: ancients.jpg (35KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
ancients.jpg
35KB, 223x310px
Beater Support Edition

Previous Thread >>49534292

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
http://www.mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
http://www.tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
http://www.edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
http://manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
http://www.magiccards.info
>>
File: Devouring Strossus_IN.jpg (55KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Devouring Strossus_IN.jpg
55KB, 312x445px
>>49545700
Hell yeah. Honestly, I think my favorite part of enderek is how he turns normally me creatures into absolute value.

Best version of this In my opinion is devouring strossus. Normally would be pretty meh, but getting 9 tokens out of him as well, and having him as a sax outlet is really nice. Blood artist /zulaport cutthroat are even nicer with him. I find myself winning quite abit with pestilence. Fucking amazing card
>>
gonna repost this WIP deck
>U/B Tassigur Control/politics

what would you add besides green? whats not good enough?
>>
>>49545803
*normally meh creatures

And by the way, with cards like flesh bag maurader, can I stack my triggers to get the thrulls, and then sac a creature?

>>49545812
Add dredge cards
>>
>>49545821
> add dredge cards

I do have stinkweed imp. I like the imp because DT is great in the early game to save you from a few swings. is running grave troll/darkblast really good enough to warant a slot even though they'll mostly be dead cards? I can't even cast gravetroll in this deck.
>>
>>49545821
There's no trigger stacking necessary with the Marauder. You get the thrulls on cast, not as an etb thing.
>>
>>49545803
yeah I think we've discussed Endrek before. iirc you went for stax while I went for lifedrain & draw pain.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/t-h-r-u-l-l-e-r/

i'm probably going to cut Abhorrent Overlord (too costly) and Deathgreeter (too low impact) in favor of more goodstuffy options, but other than that it feels very good to play. i tend to make tons of goofy mistakes in this game but for what it's worth, my decks typically function very smoothly

>>49545821
thrulls appear before fleshbag marauder enters the battlefield. then once fleshbag has resolved and entered, then the sac effect resolves. so you can sac a thrull instead of the fleshbag, but honestly it's still usually best to sac the fleshbag for reanimation purposes unless you really want the 3/1 body instead of a 1/1.
>>
File: prophetofdistortion.png (121KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
prophetofdistortion.png
121KB, 223x311px
Thinking of including pic related in my Kruphix EDH. I run a few infinite mana combos and a ton of ramp. Think it's worth a try? Or is there a better repeatable draw engine on a stick (besides Staff of Domination)?
>>
File: Spider token.png (244KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Spider token.png
244KB, 375x523px
How does she look boys?
>>
>>49546280

ebin/10
>>
>>49545926

Seems playable if you have a lot of colorless producing rocks and such
>>
>>49545812

Kukemssa pirates and Phyrexian infilitrator are both pretty bad

Like I get that you can steal a creature from somebody who doesn't likely have blue mana but it's extremely expensive for that effect, gilded drake is a 150x superior
>>
>>49546422
kruphix keeps excess mana and turns it into colorless so its not really needed
>>
>>49546487

Oh that's right I forgot it becomes colorless
>>
Anyone have any unique pauper decklists to share? I am curious what uncommons you edgelords would pick. I know we are a bunch of hipster pieces of shit that use garbage commanders, so I imagine you'd all pick the weird creatures.
>>
>>49545926
Post list. I'm building kruphix myself. I could use some inspiration.
>>
>>49545307

Go bald guy tribal then! Make the deck more then "just a Endrek deck" and into a Bald themed deck. Win some major points in the theme bracket.
>>
>>49546656
I had two, Gloryscale Viashino which was awful and Juniper Order Ranger, which was good.

Juniper Order Ranger had some persist shenanigans, but there aren't really any decent sac outlets in WG commons, so you can to run stuff like Caregiver, considered one of the worst cards by gatherer standards.
>>
Is Kaseto just "fuck people up with snakes.dec"?
>>
>>49547173
Google the Great Snake Mistake.
>>
>>49547173
No, it can use a majority of snakes but it is best built as a Simic good stuffs deck all about controlling the board while ramping before either pumping Kaseto and voltroning with an unblockable creature or pumping a snake, sending him in and then giving him infect.

My play group found that he is actually the best of the Simic precon entirely because of his ability to make shit unblock able.
>>
>>49546656
Didn't even know that was a thing. Sounds like a really cool idea. Just looking at my stuff I'm already getting ideas for Cliffhaven Vampire and Blaze Commando. Now to somehow get people at my LGS to try that format...
>>
File: 20160928_075719.jpg (3MB, 2580x2117px) Image search: [Google]
20160928_075719.jpg
3MB, 2580x2117px
>>49546972
>theme decks
>>
so im building a a commander deck for the first time. how exactly do you decide what commander is gonna be good? i was thinking about building something around Omnath, Locus of Rage because ive never been able to put him in anything else
>>
>>49547173
But are there actually any good snakes?
>>
File: magus-of-the-abyss-cropped.jpg (131KB, 464x664px) Image search: [Google]
magus-of-the-abyss-cropped.jpg
131KB, 464x664px
>>49547240
oops forgot to actually post the image, let's try again

Why don't you see this card in more token decks? I mean, I know it's not saccing so it doesn't hit hexproof/shroud stuff but still

>much lower casting cost compared to stuff like sheoldred or butcher of malakir
>works like a fleshbag marauder except you can use the effect multiple times without recursion needed

is the fact that it only happens during upkeep the problem? i mean, if someone blows an instant removal on a creature like this, you'll probably end up winning that trade
>>
>>49547193
That looks like a grand old time.
>>
>>49547256
>how exactly do you decide what commander is gonna be good?
Same way you settle on a fighting game character. On an entirely emotional level.
>>
>>49547256
>how exactly do you decide what commander is gonna be good?

not sure what you mean by this. do you not understand why people pick certain commanders? the difference between a commander and a card in the 99 is that you will have easier access to your commander. that means you can put a lot of spicy tech that synergizes well with your commander, but won't be that useful otherwise

stuff like voltron decks as well as zada and feldon decks are typically very build-around

or you can just use your commander to compliment your 99 so that it works perfectly fine without it, but your commander just helps it

fore example, tons of black decks end up having their commanders very easily changed. just by changing your commander from say, endrek to sidisi turns your deck from a swarmy one to a more consistent one.

>Omnath, Locus of Rage

he's a good choice as far as i know
>>
>>49547334
>very easily changed

i meant changeable

im so tired
>>
>>49547265
For the same price, you can draw a card off each creature you sac to it. It's some kind of eldrazi. I forget the name. There are better ways of killing your opponents things if that's what you want to do. Also, I don't know about you but my meta is extremely hostile to creatures which has lead to most decks being very creature light. It's likely that fellow would be joining an empty board if you thought to cast him.
>>
>>49547334
>do you not understand why people pick certain commanders?
no i dont, how do people do that?
>>
>>49547412
I pick them based on how useful their effect is vs how much it warps the deck build around it. I will never build a deck that NEEDS it's general to function optimally.
>>
>>49547412
Decide on a legendary creature where you think "Yeah, I'd like that in my opening hand at all times permanently".
>>
>>49547554
>>49547521
that actually makes a lot of sense, thanks
>>
>>49547412
Or...
Build a deck with a sick commander and build the other 99 around it. This is what I prefer.

Arcum Daggson - tinker commander
Narsett - holy fucking broken commander
Zur - combos anyone?

Make your deck strong enough and your commander should be the hub at the center of the wheel.
>>
>>49547412
Largely depends on who does it.

I'm a huge timmy, so I don't go out to build decks then slot in a commander. I come across a cool commander and then I think "wow, I gotta build a deck around this one".

Naturally, most of my decks require my commander to win, though I'm getting a bit better in deckbuilding now that my next 2 (brion and Glissa) won't absolutely NEED the commander.
>>
>>49546906
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kruphix-eldritch-god/

It's pretty effective as is, but there's still a lot of stuff I want to try (Staff of Domination, Mana Reflection, etc), as well as adding more draw and cheap ramp.
>>
File: Carnival of Souls_UD.jpg (63KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Carnival of Souls_UD.jpg
63KB, 312x445px
>>49545873
We have, how's your build coming Along? Any surprise stars ? I have to say, I really thought smothering abomination was just a solid card, but only when I started playing did I realize how fucking amazing it is.

I want to run pic related, how fast will it fuck me?
I'm running blood artist/zulaport/ falkenreathe noble, gray merchant, etc. I really hope I don't get hosed immediately
>>
So, I posted my Kozilek deck already last thread, but this time I just went ahead and made all the changes I was looking for instead of asking you guys to spoonfeed me. Let me know what you think:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/he-comes/

Am I missing any fun colorless tech?
>>
File: 22.jpg (63KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
63KB, 312x445px
I need a win condition in B/W that I can find with this. Archangel of Thune and Hero of Bladehold worked as rapidly more dangerous threats before, but obviously their toughness is too high. Best I can find is Mikaeus the Lunarch. Any help?

Secretly I want Imperial Recruiter to not be red so I can win with Tree of Perdition
>>
>>49547973
Any token deck will wreak you for playing this. You need to combo out the minute you drop this or your probably dead by your next turn.

But if you play it and combo it out you could easily exsanguinate for 50+ and win.
>>
File: Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero_NE.jpg (54KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero_NE.jpg
54KB, 312x445px
>>49547236
Is that a problem son?
>>
>>49548265
For the guy that decided a theme is more important than the ability to compete, you bet.
>>
>>49548141
Depends on your deck. Just a few suggestions: Blood Artist/Zulaport Cutthroat, Karmic Guide, Serra Ascendant, Sutured Ghoul, Crusading Knight, Hell's Caretaker, Custodi Soulbinders, Hangarback Walker, Hokori Dust Drinker, Goldknight Commander
>>
>Resolve a t4 Rakdos, the Defiler with Lightning Greaves backup thanks to suprise Mana Crypt while the blue players are tapped out
>UR player casts Dack's Duplicate and copies it
>No one has a board by turn 6
>Lose because Dethrone makes his Rakdos bigger than mine
That game was a riot
>>
File: 138781-Kruphix-God-of-Horizons.jpg (279KB, 1200x878px) Image search: [Google]
138781-Kruphix-God-of-Horizons.jpg
279KB, 1200x878px
I'm ready for your hot, steamy opinions senpai.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/finagle/
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rashmi-funs/

Brewing with Ramshi. Initially I wanted to do a bit ramp and go into goofy instants and sorceries. Like "Cast two instants or sorceries from the top 10 cards of opponent's library for no cost"

But now I brosed gather for some blue-green cards and they're basically just creatures. Still with some flicker and guys like this one, it might be pretty fun.

Seriously, I imagine Momir and Ramshi to be a broken pair once they're out.
>>
>>49548265
We had a guy that ran a sliver deck at my lgs. He had to retire it due to water damage from his own tears.
>>
>>49548418
I would add:
Time Warp
Fierce Empath
Memnarch

The Time Warp/Season's Past/Mystical Tutor combo is too sweet, and Fierce Empath searchs out too many important cards such as Deadeye, Palinchron, etc. Memnarch is just my personal favorite tutorable wincon with infinite mana.
>>
>>49546454
thanks. any suggestions on what to put in?
>>
>>49547173
Pretty much

>>49547264
No. But there are plenty of fun ones
>>
>>49548564
Hey thanks man, thats solid advice.
>>
>>49548789
No problem. Feel free to take a look at my list if you're looking for other ideas, although my list is somewhat more creature focused:
>>49547864
>>
>>49548564
Thanks as well, was this guy >>49548434
Season's past with TIme Warp on top of the deck sounds fun as well, even if it's only an additional turn plus put cards on the bottom of my library.
>>
>>49547864
Mana reflection seems redundant.
>>
Any secret tech for Niv- Mizzle? I'm retooling my deck deck for this weekend and was hoping I didn't forget anything.
>>
>>49549090
I don't think Curiosity and Ophidian Eye are a secret, but they're certainly the go to tech.
>>
>>49549090
>>49549367
Also, Mind over Matter, of course.
>>
>>49545803
>>49545873
Are you two using Conspiracy?
>>
>>49549090
Freed from the real?
Um, teferis puzzlebox, arjun the shifting flame, wheel of fortune, jaces archivist, windfall, etc
>>
>>49549406
Actually, no. What is the perk? I'm assuming it's to make your thrulls not thrulls?
>>
File: 1475032270333.png (1MB, 906x1498px) Image search: [Google]
1475032270333.png
1MB, 906x1498px
Alright, I posted this late last thread but I'll see if new faces have any imput as well.

>Been a budget brewer for college.
>Out of college, have money and job.
>Want to take one of my budget decks and Tune the shit out of it.
>Looking for input and ideas on my options.

I dropped Omnath as I wasn't really feeling it looking over it again this morning.

Last thread saw a bunch of support for Rakdos but an anon mentioned that Rakdos is mostly linear and Feldon has more opportunity going forward to explore other strategies and options.

Let me know what you guys think?
>>
>>49549367
Yup, already got them. I'd post a list, but it'd take forever . The cards I'm picking up today so far are:

>chasm skulker
(Can't believe I don't have one yet)
>rhystic study
>staff of nin
>dig through time
>summary dismissal
>desolate lighthouse
>rewind

And maybe mercurial chemistry. Not sure about that one.
>>
>>49549468
You got a Mystic Remora yet?
>>
File: 1256771483464.png (45KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1256771483464.png
45KB, 200x200px
i would appreciate some ideas for low mana removal that can work well with this deck

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rrreeeeeaarrgllrr/
>>
>>49549529
Doom blade, dismember, snuff out, beast within, song of dryads/lignify, tragic slip
>>
File: Image-1.jpg (37KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image-1.jpg
37KB, 223x310px
Opinions on this dude?
>>
>>49549647

Fun.
>>
>>49549504
Oh snap, that's spicy. How did I not know about this card?
>>
>>49549445

I'll throw you some ideas,

Rakdos sounds like a fun gimmick but for tuning almost any of those other decks would do better in the long run.

Once you get past the $200 amount BR really struggles to bring anything to the table. Rakdos is also super weak to limited removal.

If you entire goal is to plant Rakdos turn 4 and ANY other player has an idea what you are aiming for all it takes is a counter or a kill spell to shut you down for 2 more turns while they get even more resources to fuck you over.

Rakdos works best in low budget environments. The other three are far more viable in higher price ranges.

Talrand, all tooled up is pretty hype, you already are going the right direction of focusing on controlling the game into a mid game aggro strategy and you seem to know the deck pretty well.

If you want to be very competitive Yisan is REALLY good. But like you said, its very linear. The nice part is that, as Wizard's continues to move in the "make green best" direction you have a better chance of new sets adding value to this.

Feldon has a lot of room for mobility, I've seen a stax deck, a combo deck, and even a Kiki Jiki style infinite deck. You have the most variety there.

Personally I would choose Talrand, because I like control and politics a lot. Yissan doesn't give a shit about the rest of the table and Feldon is just a durdle-till-you-combo-out deck. Talrand is more social in my experience.

I have a guy with a tuned Talrand and its pretty fun to game with. Once you abandon the "cantrip, tutor, cantrip" mentality Talrand is pretty interesting.
>>
>>49549647
He's solid. If you want a merfolk tribal I think he'se the best there is. A friend of mine had a deck with him as the commander and the he took it apart. Not because it wasnt good, but because he realized he didnt like the color combination.
>>
>>49549731
I have never had a fun monoblue deck. They all ended up being those annoying mama rock heavy, controlly deck that somehow always have a counterspell and card draw.

I guess I just really don't like the board state of Thran Dynamo, Gilded Lotus, lands and a full grip.

I'm not OP, but I tried lists for Chisei, Tromokratis, Talrand, Memnarch, all of which ended up being not very fun to pilot or play against despite not being very good.
>>
>>49549647
Protection from a color of your choice is one of those "always nice" things
>>
>>49549790
Fuck i hate posting with my phone
>>
>>49549809
Looks like someone hasn't played the best U deck.
>>
>>49549468
Psychosis Crawler seems like a good addition.
>>
>>49549445
Just go with Rakdos, it's the already the only deck you can truly call your own.

I'd say it deserves to get pimped.
>>
>>49549445
Yisan, he is a solid deck that can easily be tuned to your liking.

If not then Feldon, as long as Magic continues to shit out red beaters and good artifact creatures he will always be relevant.

Rakdos is in a weak color choice. You wont have fun with him like you think you will once you realize that there isn't much room to expand with him.
>>
>>49549647
Bad, he forces you to leave too much mana up to be effective
>>
>>49549647
The best way to play merfolk in edh
>>
One nice thing about a vehicles is Macar EDH finally got more decent colorless tap outlets.
>>
>>49550438
Do you have to say "I put Macar in m'car"? I'm happy you finally have some decent ways to tap him
>>
>>49550456
Of course you have to say that.
>>
>>49550456
Or the classic: Dude, where's Macar?
>>
>>49550606
Whenever macar would tap (non combat), a friend of mine would giggle and say "slideeeee it to the right! "

Then he'd say, pretty loud, " AAYYYYYYYYY MACAR-ENA!!"

Nobody had the heart to tell him
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/maelstrom-cool/

Been tuning this for a while think I'm pretty happy with it now apart from getting duals for it, just looking for opinions and if there's any cards I've missed / not put in but should have.
Our playgroup is semi competitive but there's no extremely fast kills, dedicated combo decks or stax.
>>
File: Image.jpg (33KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
33KB, 223x310px
How's pic related as commander? I'm browsing some decks with her but it seems like everything depends on her being alive and using her ability almost every turn

I'm thinking of building a new EDH deck, deciding between her and Daxos the returned
>>
File: 5.jpg (79KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
79KB, 312x445px
>>49550798
Given how open-ended that ability is, you can build her literally any way you want, but the most common is just "suspend pic related, suspend enormous monster, win when they resolve"

Less common is getting rid of the board clear part and suspending fuckhuge dragons, krakens, etc.
>>
>>49550798
She's insanely good, but tends to get focused and hatefucked off the board. Play with board wipes, eldrazi, or other fun stuff.
>>
>>49550798
She's meh.

While you can do some pretty fancy things, your game plan is pretty linear and people who have played against that kind of deck before will have answers for you. Your entire strategy can be fucked by a few low-key eldrazi getting swapped in, which will happen if you shit on a table with a properly built Jhoria.

The real question is, do you want to play giant creatures for free, do you want to combo into wins, or do you want to smash the table with mass land destruction?

In my opinion there are better commanders for all of the above, even if you're insistent on playing Izzet for whatever reason.
>>
>>49550727
>our playgroup is cool
>no stax

You can only choose one

>>49550897
Who's better at cheating in huge fatties in izzet?
>>
>>49550916
>>49550727

Holy fuck, I'm a retard. I completely misread your post. Sorry, that's what I get for staying up all night.
>>
>>49550940
I've been meaning and wanting to build stax but the group is very adamantly against it unfortunately.

pls help me deck
>>
>>49550967
What kind of stax do they hate? Stasis? Oppressive creature based sacrifice? MLD? What colors do you want to run?
>>
>>49551017
orbs, tanglewire etc
>>
>>49550916
Well, in terms of commanders, no one.

But, in terms of general strategy, I prefer Nin and Jori En. Even Arjun can be good if you build a half-decent ramp deck, which is surprisingly viable. If you cycle and draw cards quickly, you'll be able to ramp really hard, and while it may not be as fast as a t4 Jhoria suspend, you don't need to wait 4 turns to drop your bombs on the battlefield. With a properly built deck you can accelerate your curve and use the draw utility from you commander to facilitate your ramp. Jori En is more suitable cantrips setup, Nin is AMAZING if you can get cheap indestructible creatures, and Arjun, while more naturally suited to spellslinger, can let you cycle for your bombs very quickly. I would recommend a colourless/artifact subtheme with any of the above, because R and U have very good utility to cycle artifacts, and in general it's easier to ramp into colourless things.

But, really, if you want to play Izzet fatties, just build Maelstrom Wanderer and splash green. The deck could still be functionally izzet, but with access to green ramp, which is generally a better bet.
>>
File: me irl.jpg (878KB, 1200x869px) Image search: [Google]
me irl.jpg
878KB, 1200x869px
>>49551041
Go for degenerate oloro superfriends feat static orb, winter orb, stasis, forbid, arcane lab, rule of law, eidolodon of rhetoric, propaganda, kroshun falls, ghostly prison, Meekstone, rising waters, pendrel mists, maze of ith, ice flow, etc.

Want more?
>>
>>49551101
oloro is everything they hate.
Looking for help with tuning maelstrom wanderer mainly atm, just been looking into stax a little bit.
Thanks anyway.
>>
>>49551156
That's why you need to ditch wanderer and build degenerate oloro stax, and no problem. I know nothing about maelstrom wanderer, so I'm no help there
>>
>>49551187
I want to play degenerate decks but I don't want them to hate me.
>>
File: en_PpHQrOfn71.png (170KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
en_PpHQrOfn71.png
170KB, 265x370px
>>49551216

how about punishing people for the few things they manage to play? You wouldn't be hurting them, they'd be hurting themselves
>>
>>49551238
One player has a deck close to this but its not full on stax, more pillowforty. I think thats the main thing they dislike is being punished for trying to play their decks.
>>
>>49551216
OK, NOW i can say it

>I want to play degenerate decks
>I don't want them to hate me

you can only pick one
>>
>>49549445
Go Feldon, fun as shit and gets work done.
>>
>>49551282

>>49551304 he's right. The hardest part of stax in EDH is keeping yourself alive while every other player tries to destroy you
>>
>>49551537
I thought the hardest part of stax was fighting off a bunch of angry EDH players with a bike chain after the game.
>>
>>49551564

Heh. If your playgroup gets violent instead of crying as a coping mechanism, have your chain ready
>>
>>49551238
I play Karlov voltron. Very heavy linear aggressive deck. Is this worth playing in that? I remember effects that trigger when opponents do stuff were all the rage back in the day but I don't know how good it is in a tuned deck.
>>
>>49551638
Yes, not only does he give amazing triggers for Karlov he is perfectly on curve for him.

Turn 1 Soul warden
Turn 2 Karlov
Turn 3 Kambal

Its a great opener.
>>
>>49551638

It will eat removal the second it gets played, but if you can make room for him I'd play it
>>
>>49551685
Alright. I know of that one Dromoka card that triggers off opponent's casts but I never wanted to play it because it seemed too expensive for me. But I think this is guy is just cheap enough to fit in.
>>
>>49551703
If it eats removal over Karlov then all the better.
>>
>>49551724
>>49551703
Also if he eats removal it's already one trigger for karlov.
>>
>>49547384
>my meta is extremely hostile to creatures

well the thing is that my meta is heavily creature based. in a typical game, there is way more creatures than removal to get rid of them, so the best way to get your stuff to survive is to play a lot of small creatures that aren't worth removing
>>
>>49551564
>>49551609

I laughed

But in all seriousness, what's the saltiest you've ever seen someone get after playing against stax?

>guy wipes to kami turbostasis after 5 turns of not untapping
>"well, if I could have beat you if I wanted, but I didn't come here not to play magic! Enjoy playing alone".
>guy walks to another pod of 4 midgame and asks to join, they sigh and say they'll find another guy and split into two games of 3.

Fucking U/G players
>>
File: athreos-god-of-passage_6.jpg (41KB, 240x344px) Image search: [Google]
athreos-god-of-passage_6.jpg
41KB, 240x344px
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/pay-your-life-i-say/

Just put this decklist together. Is there anything I should add to it or take out of it?
>>
>>49551826
I have two stories my man:

>playing Brago Artifact Stax before I turned it into Brago hits or I lose
>my friend has the board locked down with some quality spot removal and various trostani lifegain shenanigans
>hit winter orb and tangle wire in the same brainstorm, drop them and connect with brago
>politely explain to my friend that it's going to be impossible to do anything for the rest of the game unless you get some 0 mana removal on my winter orb or brago
>"Pfft, whatever anon, I have 80 life I'll hit something"
>10 turns later his face has sunken and he's lost all hope
>brago is one turn away from winning
>he's just playing draw-go while I do it
>after the game he starts loudly talking about a Nekusar theory craft build that will totally shut down everything I was going to do
>keeps staring whistfully into the distance going "Oh, that's nasty, I could do this" or "wow that would be really good in there" without actually talking to me about cards
>never play with him again

Alternatively:
>playing at my flgs
>Narset infinite turns, Maelstrom Wanderer and Memnarch
>I'm playing Mogis stax and artifacts
>as we're playing I hit Obliterate, float ten mana, completely wipe the board with mogis out and Animate Dead Herald of Leshrac
>immediately the narset player scoops bitching about infinite turn yadda yadda should have done this before obliterate resolves
>Maelstrom plays for a few turns, but quickly scoops
>it's just me and Memnarch
>I'm durdling, every time he plays a land I steal it, but he's bound and determined to hit a mox and steal my mogis because he had a ton of life to work with
>that feel when I pinged him for almost an hour
>at the end he has this really sour look on his face and as he's leaving he punches a cardboard cutout near the door
>obliterates the head, store owner loses his shit
>he now has a permanent ban from the store
>>
Any thoughts/suggestions for my thematic Demon deck?

>http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/black-demon-commander/

No Phyrexian stuff allowed. This is mainly a fun theme deck but if you see cards that I missed please go ahead.
>>
>>49552072
How did Herald of Leshrac not eat itself like two turns after the obliterate
>>
File: authority of the consuls.png (126KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
authority of the consuls.png
126KB, 223x311px
>>49551832

I like it. I'd put pic related or >>49551238
instead of Vizkopa Guildmage, but that's just me not liking the mage
>>
Would rashmi be a good commander? If so what are some cards i could run with her?
>>
>>49552186
Maelstrom was running basic-land ramp. Before he scooped he pretty much guaranteed I'd be able to keep Leshrac around for a stupid amount of time as Memnarch missed a few land drops after the obliterate and got land flooded late game, which was part of the reason he stuck around in the first place.
>>
>>49552242
They managed to keep up exactly with Herald's cumulative upkeep?
You do know Herald needs to steal exactly the number of lands it wants or you sac it, right?
>>
>>49552294
Nope, I didn't know that, I thought it was one land per player per turn.

Guess I got away with some bullshit.
>>
>>49552314
Nice, you are partially responsible for someone else's permanent ban because you didn't understand the rules.
>>
>>49551832
Seems like a budget deck, so I won't bother suggesting expensive staples.

Take Out:
>Divinity of Pride
>Palace Siege
>Debt to the Deathless
>High Priest of Penance
>Treasury Thrull
>Oblivion Ring

Slot In:
>Smothering Abomination
>Defiant Bloodlord
>Soul Exchange
>Pestilence Demon
>Phyrexian Delver
>Archangel's Vault
>Ever After
>Panharmonicon

Maybeboard:
>Bog Initiate
>Endless Cockroaches
>Priest of Gix
>>
>>49552314

Cumulative upkeep means you pay the cost times the number of times you've paid the upkeep

First turn you pay it once, next turn twice, etc
>>
Combustible Gearhulk in Nekusar or Mizzix?
>>
>>49552523

No
>>
>>49552314
I guess you actually got away with lying on the internet until now
>>
>>49552536
Fuck you.
>>
>>49552556

I'm jus sayin
>>
>>49552569
I'm still going to do it.
>>
>>49552523
Nekusar is up to your preference. Mizzix no.
>>
File: eb9.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
eb9.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
>>49552338
>take out Oblivion Ring
>>
>>49552576
>>49552585

If you're set on this I actually think it's potentially better in mizzix, of course this is all dependent on what your exact lists look like

In my experience Nekusar decks tends to top out at 5-6 cmc for reforge the soul and time spiral and the average is closer to 2cmc whereas mizzix is more likely to have huge spells like time stretch and that new 9 drop blue spell from conspiracy 2

But then again mizzix often has a lot of X spells so maybe it's shit in mizzix too
>>
File: image.jpg (73KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 265x370px
>>49549090
Pls do it. Nobody will see it coming
>>
>>49549558
How should I slot these in? Looking at tragic, dismember, song and beast

Also any pointers for prossh would be great. I won't be picking up Xena or food chain, maybe purphoros later this year if i get really frisky with the deck
>>
>>49552680
I love that card
>Some guy dumps all his mana into In Garruk's Wake with a 15/15 Managorger out
>Play this on my turn targeting the Managorger
>Drop Greaves and slap it on for gg
>>
>>49552628
It's garbo in EDH, dude. Nonlands get wiped regularly.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Trying to build Atogatog. Any secret tech out there for him. I'm going for a barren glory deck with him.
>>
>>49552332
> moods justify actions
Kay
>>
>>49552784
I said partially, him actually hitting the thing was his fault and he didn't understand the rules either.
>>
>>49552703

if you cut expensive win more cards for low cost removal it can make your deck instantly feel a lot less clunky and smooth out your early-mid game

Looking at your list I don't really see a need for embermaw hellion

And your creature count seems pretty low for ruric thar, maybe you're down to roll with it but it seems like it's going to hurt you about the same as much as most of your opponents but I suppose it's still good to tutor for in case of a spell slinger or storm deck
>>
>>49552753
Enchantment is the 2nd/3rd most protected permanent type. Two colors have virtually no interaction with them. It's exile effect is an ETB ability that can be abused with flicker. It's 3 CMC (Hello Sun Titan). It can hit any non-land, including your own if you want to save it from an impending wipe. Hell, it even forces your opponents to remove it before killing you if they want what's tucked underneath it.

I can see a reason for excluding Banishing Light, but O-ring is amazing.
>>
>>49552856
ah, so i could also take out primal vigor as well? i had rounded those into the same grouping of enhancment cards
>>
>>49553003

You could
>>
What's better for Animar, Craterhoof Behemoth or Decimator of Provinces?
>>
>>49552680
>>49552747

BUG Phyrexian Legendary when? Nissa and Ezuri just miss one color for a cool and fluffy Phyrexian deck.
>>
>>49553453
Craterhoof most of the time, but I would strongly recommend both.
>>
>>49547173
No. Behold:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mgs-kamigawa-crisis/
>>
>>49553505
Thanks, I'm also feeling like both would be ideal. It's tough figuring out what huge creatures make the cut, they're all so fun.
>>
>>49553476
no more U/G please, they have enough
>>
>>49549809
Go Mega-Timmy and try Braids
>>
>>49553692
That was ostensibly what my Tromo deck was supposed to do, but when your big dumb krakens get wiped, you're stuck playing mega ramp control in between. I dunno. Maybe Braids inherent "haha, fuck this game" ness makes her fun, but that seems like trying to amputate a limb with a shotgun.

I used to think this applied to all monodecks, since they either were rock filled ramp fests with generic good stuff or these niche one trick pony decks. But then I ended up building a few fun lists in black, red and green. But white and blue I just end up bored to tears.

Maybe I'll try again. I also tried Rayne Human Tribal and Jalira, just remembered. Maybe I'll do Rayne again. She was pretty fun, even if I didn't have enough cards for my sub themes.

>>49549907
Haha. Pass. Digging your entire deck for a two card combo isn't my thing.
>>
>>49552875
The deck creator >>49551832 should have ran things like Banisher Priest or Fiend Hunter if he's really that interested in O-Ring effects. They're easier to recur (With Sun Titan even), and with Fiend Hunter, you can perma-exile creatures, which are about the most threatening things on the battlefield. Fiend Hunter can even do that stupid infinite with Sun Titan with a sac outlet and a death/ETB trigger.

He already has things like Mortify, Anguished Unmaking and Utter End to take care of things O-Ring would, in a more permanent manner, so O-Ring is not really that crucial.

I do understand its utility, but can be replaced.

>>49552338 by the way.
>>
>>49554049

>Azami
>digging your entire deck for a two card combo isn't my thing

azami has much greater potential than that
>>
Green is boring
>>
>>49552771
Any tribal deck's secret tech is Mirror Entity.
So yeah, it's not secret anymore.
>>
File: 816_armyofthedamned[1].jpg (163KB, 620x487px) Image search: [Google]
816_armyofthedamned[1].jpg
163KB, 620x487px
If you could have a Tribal commander printed in any combination of colors for any type, what would you go with?

I'd kinda like to see a Sultai Zombie. Sidisi is close, but something with Zombie in the typeline would be nice.
>>
>>49554477
Except for the tribes that dont play white
>>
>>49554580
I hope one of the commander 4 color decks is an everything but black elemental that tutors for elementals
>>
>>49547864
How has seasons' past been treating ya, nice combo with mystical tutor i assume but any highlights?
>>
>>49553476

I hate what they did to Ezuri.
>>
File: 300px-W.svg.png (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
300px-W.svg.png
15KB, 300x300px
Are there any interesting white cards in EDH?

If feels like every deck that I add white to just becomes more boring

>Mass Removal
>Spot Removal
>Pillowfort Shit
>Tokens

Am I just missing something? Is white truly the most boring color?
>>
>>49555150

first of all, if you think removal, "pillowfort shit" and tokens are boring, maybe magic isnt the game for you. i mean those seam like huge parts of magic to me

white also has double strike and other combat related tricks and buffs like true conviction, white has hateful effects aven mindcensor and containment priest. it has flicker-tech like ghostway and flickerwisp, and it has stax stuff like thalia and hokori

why dont you give us an idea of what you like in other colors?
>>
File: IMG_2491.jpg (80KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2491.jpg
80KB, 312x445px
which generals have the most fun with this? would hidetsugu's ability result in a draw?
>>
>>49554580

Jeskai soldier
>>
>>49555240
combine with Pariah, Stuffy Doll, Goldnight Castigator, Madcap Experiment
>>
>>49555240
Only if your life total is even with the rest of the losers.
>>
>>49555223

Other colors seem to have more "weird" cards than white.
>>
>>49555366

any examples?
>>
>>49555438

Well lets take red, for example.

Fortune Thief, Sin Prodder, Rite of the Raging Storm, Hellkite Tyrant, Rage Nimbus, Grenzo, Havoc Raiser are all unique cards that catch you attention.

It might just be me, but whenever I put white in my decks, I am never excited. The cards are always efficient (Wrath of God, Path to Exile, Sun Titan, Luminate Primordial), but rarely excite me.
>>
Is there anything that gives stuff in your graveyard hexproof?
>>
>>49555510

>fortune thief

well i mean this is basically a white effect at heart, angel's grace, worship, etc

>Sin Prodder

do you like cards that give your opponents a choice? nothing so on the nose is coming to mind for white but things like angelic arbiter can give your opponents intersting decisions to make

>Rite of the Raging Storm

gahiji isnt monowhite but he is white and he seems similar to this

>hellkite tyrant

if you like alternate wincon cards white has barren glory and near death experience. there's definitely very few white cards that steal permanents though, if thats what interests you

>rage nimbus

dont really see whats interesting about this card at all but there are multiple gideons that have this ability

>grenzo

well grenzo is very interesting, daxos of meletis is similar, but playing your opponents cards isnt very white in general

it seems like you just know more about red and youre more willing to play bad cards because they interest you

there are plenty of suboptimal white cards that have weird effects, if you ever get tired of wrath of god and path to exile and such
>>
>>49555621

Well I guess, I just like shitty cards in other colors and use white to make the decks playable. Thanks for the suggestions - Angel's Grace, Barren Glory are really interesting.
>>
>>49554580
4 color warrior excluding blue
>>
>>49555621
>this is basically a white effect
Nah, red did it first
>>
>>49555859

touche
>>
Should I buy a Pre-constructed deck or build one out of my fairly limited origins-eldritch moon card collection? Always wanted to get into EDH and after selling a prerelease masterpiece Sol Ring I have $100 in "free" expendable income to throw away.
>>
>>49555914
buy singles and build one you like
>>
>>49555621
preacher gives your opponents a choice and its fun
>>
File: 1364382973742.jpg (43KB, 279x327px) Image search: [Google]
1364382973742.jpg
43KB, 279x327px
>group agrees upon an edict after me and another guy blow them out
>we all must build a deck using our least favorite color
>>
>>49555914
Build a Elesh-Norn deck and pack a copy of mass calcify for board stalls. Nothing is funnier than watching the rest of the table get super salty over a partial board wipe.
Notable cards from eldritch moon to include:
>Odric something something
>Selfless spirit
>Thalia, Heretical cathar
>>
File: 5j6qwkvv.png (196KB, 528x800px) Image search: [Google]
5j6qwkvv.png
196KB, 528x800px
>>49555976
I am NOT building a mono white deck. NO FUCK YOU JOHN IM NOT DOING IT
>>
>>49556338
Oh and it actually does have to be mono-color

I don't like green
>>
File: paul mccartney.png (139KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
paul mccartney.png
139KB, 223x311px
>>49556351
Sounds like it's time to build Elderly Lesbian artifacts and not put any green cards in the deck.
>>
>>49555150
Voltron with auras.
>>
>>49556403
Well I was thinking of trying Yisan, because I like not paying for things that I put into play and groovy ETB effects
>>
>>49555976
Fuck that. I don't want to play mono blue.
>>
File: 0xl7izxo.jpg (334KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
0xl7izxo.jpg
334KB, 5000x5000px
>>49556351
My least favorite is actually red but I'd build a super sick Daretti deck and I know I'd enjoy it. In EDH, I wouldn't touch mono white with gloves on.
>>
>>49556499
Mono-red enables so much ridiculous mono-brown bullshit. It is the funnest color.
>>
>>49555976
so i build a mono reddy spaghetti daretti?
>>
>>49556499
I'd just build Krenko mass goblins. It's cheap and gets out of hand fast.
>>
File: 1335471645228.png (90KB, 395x395px) Image search: [Google]
1335471645228.png
90KB, 395x395px
>>49555976
>Mono-U
Must I? I guess I could do Azami and make my group mad if it ever came to that. They don't know about Laboratory Maniac.
>>
I want a Grixis deck.
I want a Izzet deck.
I want an artifact deck.
I want a spellsligner deck.

I narrowed it down to two pairs:
>Jeleva big spells and Nin, the Pain Artist Artifact combo
or
>Mishra artifacts and Melek Storm

Which pairing should I go for and why?
>>
File: 1280x1280 (2).jpg (245KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1280x1280 (2).jpg
245KB, 1280x1280px
>>49555976
Mono-black.
I mean, I still like black, but... that just ain't me.
>>
>>49556591
This or Zada. I would give a Krenko deck the edge, since since you have access to your main engine at all times, but Zada can just poop out a bunch of spells and make terror machines out of your 1/1s at instant speed
>>
>>49557009
Mishra artifacts and whatever UR spellslinger suits your fancy. There are only all of them, after all.
>>
File: iW7X9njGpPXhP.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
iW7X9njGpPXhP.gif
2MB, 320x180px
why is simulated shuffling impossible to get right? be it duels, mtgo, or xmage you will be given no playable manabase more often than not. your starting hand will either be no more than two lands with the rest clumped way at the bottom of your deck, or over half of your hand will be lands with no playable draws for at least five turns. every fucking time
>>
File: aja.jpg (291KB, 1180x488px) Image search: [Google]
aja.jpg
291KB, 1180x488px
Who is the best commander to get a Mindslaver lock online with? I got Emrakul'd the other night, and since I'm a petty asshole, I must make him experience that same butthurt a thousand times over
>>
>>49554580
Orzhov Knight
>>
>>49557108
Probably Hanna or Arcum
>>
>>49557108
Glissa is pretty gud with Forbidden Orchard.
>>
>>49557089
That's what actual shuffling is. Actual randomness.
>>
File: werefolf man.jpg (122KB, 664x444px) Image search: [Google]
werefolf man.jpg
122KB, 664x444px
would this be a good commander?
>>
File: k6p0iq3w.jpg (370KB, 1262x411px) Image search: [Google]
k6p0iq3w.jpg
370KB, 1262x411px
>>49557009
Mishra and NIN
Nin draws you cards and has low cmc and Mishra is more interesting and less intuitive than Jeleva.
>>
>>49557242
A flaming dumpster would be a better commander
>>
>>49557242
No natural forms of evasion or protection makes him not great but there is certainly no reason he couldn't head a decent fight control battle cruiser deck or maybe even a Human/Werewolf/Wolf Tribal thing.
>>
>>49557209
I have a prerelease Glissa from way back when somewhere, I keep meaning to build with her. What would Forbidden Orchard bring to the table?
>>
>>49557338
When you take their turn you use Orchard to ensure they have a creature and have "them" attack it into Glissa. Thus triggering Glissa's ability and returning the Mindslaver to hand. Repeat Ad Nauseam.
>>
File: 1322629124488.jpg (9KB, 380x245px) Image search: [Google]
1322629124488.jpg
9KB, 380x245px
>>49557385
>the tokens aren't even fucking fliers
Holy shit I'm doing this. Packing it with all the sac/death trigger artifacts I can get my hands on. Thanks friend
>>
>>49557424
Don't forget to pack your Hangerback Walker + Gravepact Machinegun. Perilous Myr and Executioner's Capsule are also insanely good.
>>
>>49557089
Stop mana weaving and put enough lands in your deck.

No, your 35 lands deck with an average curve of 4 will not be playable.
>>
>>49557491
Stop calling it mana weaving. It's just straight cheating.
>>
>>49557089
I really don't think you understand what suffling's purpose is.
>>
File: Mana Weaving.jpg (34KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mana Weaving.jpg
34KB, 375x523px
>>49557526
Not if you shuffle sufficiently afterwards.
>>
>>49557617
Yes, but the point is that anyone who does mana weave will NOT shuffle sufficiently afterwards.
>>
>>49557084
>>49557258
Sweet. Mishra's always had some fancy interactions going for him.

I tried Nin in the head of a spellslinger deck, and found out that she's just too mana-heavy for my liking. For artifacts she at least has a lot of rocks to make up for it all.

I'm kind of looking towards Melek for just casting value. Mizzix just seems too... easy?
>>
>>49557631
The worst part is that I've found it doesn't even work when you don't sufficiently shuffle.

>Build a new deck
>Want to see how it plays
>Mana weave and overhand shuffle a bit
>Clumps of land anyway

All it does is make the weaver feel better and annoy other players.
>>
>>49557755
Situation 1: Mana Weaving pays off for them, and they've cheated
Situation 2: It doesn't work, and makes one person feel good at the other's expense

At best it's bad sportsmanship, at worst downright cheating.
>>
File: Rashmi.jpg (15KB, 190x265px) Image search: [Google]
Rashmi.jpg
15KB, 190x265px
I'm modifying my Vig deck so that I can test her out at the helm. Can't wait. Effect and Art are both great.
>>
>>49557833
Situation 3: Mana Weaving+Insufficient Randomization actually makes it worse

Actual worst case scenario: it's downright cheating and it's making it more likely to lose.
>>
File: Image.jpg (36KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
36KB, 223x310px
A challenge from our playgroup: create a multiplayer Doomsday deck that wins with a lethal storm rather than labman as the primary wincon.

Slapped together a brew to test my go at it: Jeleva Doomsday.edh

http://deck dot tk slash 5gV15FHA

The plan is to tutor up and cast Ad Nauseam and draw as many cards as we can.
Then find a Doomsday and cast it with at least one can trip in hand
Set up a Doomsday pile as so:
[Cantrip
Lion's Eye Diamond
Yawgmoth's Will
Mind's Desire
Beacon of Destruction
]

Dig till we reach the LED. Cast it.
Cast a cantrip, hold priority, with the cantrip on the stack, crack LED for BBB
Consequently, dump our hand into the graveyard.
Draw Yawgmoth's Will and cast it, and then use the twenty+ cards we just dumped into the grave to build lethal storm
Cast a cantrip and draw into Mind's Desire
Cast Mind's Desire with Beacon of Destruction as the only card in the library.
Beacon keeps shuffling itself back in inbetween the Mind's Desires and we deal (Storm count) x 5 damage to target opponents.
>>
What the fuck are you retards talking about """"mana weaving"""" for? Just pile shuffle and then shuffle like a normal person.
>>
>>49557833
No worse sportsmanship than excessive pile shuffling.
>>
>>49557939

Why do you pile shuffle?
>>
File: 152[1].jpg (67KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
152[1].jpg
67KB, 312x445px
Post cards you thought would be good but that just never pan out.
>>
>>49557991
To break up the lands after I make a deck. Mana weaving has negative connotations because it has always meant stacking you deck.
>>
File: 37.jpg (49KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
37.jpg
49KB, 312x445px
>>49558003
>>
Ban all staples.
>>
>>49558019

Breaking up the lands is cheating though

If you shuffle properly afterwards then you wasted your time, a lot of time wasted, since shuffling properly is 100x faster than pile shuffling
>>
>>49558060
Define shuffling properly.
>>
>>49558060
I always pile shuffle after creating a new deck just to count out the 99 cards.
>>
>>49558003
Is that a tyranid?
>>
>>49550798
everyone assumes you're going to suspend a Kozilek or Blightsteel when they see that as your commander.

I built Jhoira as a Kaboom! Deck: Manipulate the top card of the deck for maximum value Kaboom!s and Erratic Explosion. It's not good in multiplayer but it's fun casually and 1v1.
>>
>>49558079

Mathematically it means that any given permutation of your deck has an equal chance of occurring

The only way to do that with 100 cards is to mash shuffle it like 15 times, or rifle shuffle (poker shuffle) like 9 times, or if you're dumb you can pile shuffle 100,000 times using your whims to mix up the pattern
>>
>>49558107
I pile, then mash the cards together as I put them in and mash as I go.

>riffle shuffling Magic cards
lol
>>
>>49558127

Pile shuffling doesn't do anything is all I'm saying

If you don't mash shuffle at least 12-15 times then your deck isn't randomized, anything you do besides that is either cheating or irrelevant

It's probably not a big deal because your deck being fully mathematically randomized is not as important as it being randomized from your perspective

The issue would be that if you pile shuffle you might be intentionally "breaking up your lands", which is called mana weaving, and then if you don't mash enough afterwards, there could be a small effect that benefits you, which is cheating
>>
>>49558214
Explain how putting your entire deck into 10 piles at random does nothing. I want to hear the logic behind this. Unless you think anyone is just going to do that and then pick the cards up and play.
>>
>>49558228

Well what do you mean putting them into 10 piles "at random"? usually when people pile shuffle they have a pattern

Are all your piles different sizes? Do you just put them wherever feels right in the moment?

The crux of the issue is that a pattern is not random, and relying on your spur of the moment whim to make the piles random is simply inefficient

When I said pile shuffling does nothing I meant relatively speaking, it does nearly nothing, it would take ages to effectively randomize by putting cards 1 by 1 in piles "randomized" by your whims, that's why it's a waste of time to not simply mash 15 times and be done with it

If you do it to count your cards that's fine, you have a right to count your cards
>>
>>49558107
>"Hey man, can I borrow an edh deck? I wanna play with you guys but I haven't bought into edh yet"
>hand him experiment kraj
>RRRRRRRRRRRRRR
>RRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRR
>my fucking face when he RIFFLE SHUFFLES.
>MOTHER FUCKER
>>
>>49558419

Yeah I think it's too much effort to rifle without bending the cards but people do it
>>
File: life death dci.jpg (68KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
life death dci.jpg
68KB, 312x445px
Post secret tech

Learned of this card today for Meren.
>>
>>49558419
Rifling is actually healthier on the cards than mash shuffling.
t.printing press technician and editorial designer
>>
>>49558647
I want to make sure real quick that you know that's not a Fuse card and you can only pick one side. Not to insult you or anything, I just recently had an issue with a player who was shall we say "confused" on that issue.
>>
>>49558716

Not that guy but I had no idea

So they came up with these double cards first and then in RTR they created the fuse mechanic?
>>
File: Secret Tech.jpg (136KB, 892x310px) Image search: [Google]
Secret Tech.jpg
136KB, 892x310px
>>49558647
>tfw my secret tech is all boring or because I'm cheap

>>49558709
>Rifling is actually healthier on the cards than mash shuffling.
That depends on how you riffle. We all know That Guy who feels compelled to bridge all the decks he doesn't own.
>>
>>49558709

Even with sleeves?

Is the issue with mashing frayed edges?
>>
>>49558969
Yeah, double cards first appeared back in Invasion in 2000.
>>
>>49558969
Correct. The player in question thought you could cast both halves, return Elesh Norn to the battlefield and she'd kill everyone else's lands. Admittedly, that would have made for one hell of a card, but it unfortunately doesn't work.
>>
>>49559002

Totally explains all the times I saw fire//ice being used in cube and never fused
>>
>>49558981
Yes, rifling puts regular pressure on most of the card diagonally which disperses pressure through the paper grain as the force doesn't come from the same direction every time like with the "receiving" half of mashed cards.
Mashing puts irregular pressure on a much smaller area which causes nicked edges and borders, is the primary cause of dog-eared sleeves and sleeve splitting which can damage cards further and also puts constant pressure against the card's lenght which is it's weaker structural direction.
>>49558978
It's every card player's sacred mission to teach idiots how to shuffle like a man.
But bridging is actually a possitive with curled foils. Curling happens because the foil is metallic plastic and therefore less expansive than the cardboard, when the cardboard takes in humidity and expands the plastic doesnt, forcing it to curl. Rifling and bridging foils helps disperse the humidity and straighten them up.
Then again the best solution for curled foils is silica gel bags and a low humidity storage.
>>
File: Image.ashx.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
Anyone got some expensive commons? This guy was accounting for half of the price of a pauper list until I cut him.
>>
>>49559259
You know a good way to practice riffle shufling?
Also what say you about the bent centers of riffle shuffled cards
>>
File: Oasis_4E.jpg (49KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Oasis_4E.jpg
49KB, 312x445px
>>49558647
Secret tech you say
>>
>>49554580
Jund Skeleton or Dimir Horrors
>>
>>49557963
Pile shuffling is also cheating unless its done only once with the intent of counting the cards in the deck. And I'm not even talking about the recent rules changes.

Pile shuffling is not shuffling, and only serves to rearrange the cards in the deck in a predictable manner.
>>
>>49559323
With a $1 poker deck and youtube videos.
The vertical side of cards are the weak cards because its the direction the card grain runs in, that's why the bend test is done top to bottom not left to right. Cards should therefore not be getting bent at the centers so long as you hold your cards more diagonally than vertically.
>>
>>49550798
She's versatile. My friend built her as dragon/wizard tribal. If you get to use her ability twice, that's usually pretty good. No point suspending massive spells when you can just cast them later on.
>>
>>49555240
It's excellent in Melek, flash it in, untap and win, but its fun with Ruric. Worth smacking yourself for 6.
>>
>>49559766

>no point suspending massive spells when you can just cast them later on

Well if you have the mana to cast massive spells later, wouldn't it be nice to cast those and then have other massive spells being cast for free at the same time?
>>
>>49557933
As someone who's trying to build doomsday in legacy, don't cast you brainstorm till you draw that LED, assuming you need it pretty much every game. Stacking the top of your deck is so strong

Obviously its fine to cast if you really need action or have recursion.
>>
>>49558228
Think about it like this:
When you pile shuffle, consider where the cards are going. Cards on top before the piles are now on the bottom of each pile, vice versa for cards originally on the bottom of you deck. If you mash the piles together then cards near the bottom will stay near the bottom. If you stack the piles on top of each other, then each 1/10th of your deck (assuming 10 piles) will have a fairly even spread of about 3 cards originally from the top third of your deck, 3 from the middle and 3 from the bottom. That's not random.

Another way to think about it, is in a truly randomized deck, each card has an equal chance to be in any position in the deck. Lets say the top of the deck is position 1, the bottom is position 99. Next time you pile shuffle, keep an eye on one card, leave it poking out of the pile a little. Consider if that card will really have a possibility of being anywhere in your deck.
>>
any stupid/amusing deck ideas you guys been working on?

Latest idea for me is a ridiculous U/B Szadek voltron mill. It seems like a super amusing deal to try out.
>>
>>49559922

What's amusing about that?
>>
>>49559978

Well the whole concept of voltron is typically wrecking people with commander damage or just overwhelming damage. Szadek as a voltron seemed hilarious in concept, since he doesnt actually cause damage, just grows stronger and mills.

The though of a Szadek swinging at someone and milling their entire deck in one attack greatly amused the mill-happy player in me. So yeah, Mill Voltron sounds fun, if kinda hard to do. But the challenge excites me.
>>
>>49557108
Glissa, the Traitor with Forbidden Orchard. Make sure you have a Grappling Hook or a Nemesis Mask.
>>
>>49555976
Mono blue... Fuck that. I'd build the most not-blue deck possible with blue. Go big fat stompy leviathans and krakens and 0 control.
>>
File: femme_fata_QnfpsIq.png (196KB, 241x347px) Image search: [Google]
femme_fata_QnfpsIq.png
196KB, 241x347px
>>49558647
It's great in Gaddock Teeg where the prison effects basically mean that they've got full hands at all times
>>
So, /EDH/, would a full on Liliana x Chandra theme deck work?

I'm talking about involving almost every card that has both of them, and some that only have one of either of them.

Main problem I can see is the commanders, but I'm thinking Malfegor since he's thematically tied to Liliana.
>>
>>49560948
>building waifu garbage around a garbage-ass commander
>>
>>49557848
I'm looking forward to it as well. She and Momir look like a nice broken pair.

I just can't decide on a creature based deck or go with whacky instants and sorceries with lots of cast triggers stuffed in.

I can also imagine some nice ramp with mana creatures and burgeoning.
>>
Anyone have any tips for riffle shuffling from the side with small hands? I am not a huge man, so I feel like I can't get any pressure on 50 cards to start the shuffle. Maybe I am doing it wrong? Or do you need to have spider fingers to do it well?
>>
File: NLMMdqn.jpg (55KB, 300x328px) Image search: [Google]
NLMMdqn.jpg
55KB, 300x328px
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mishra-the-swag-prodigy/

Posting my mishra deck again.

Updated it with some tutors, still waiting for etherium sculptor.

Played a couple of games with it and i have managed to win a few times at least.

Looking for advice to speed up the deck if possible.
>>
>>49557848
So I'm thinking of Spellslinging Goodstuffs with her, what kinds of staples should I consider?

The obvious ones I can think of are:
Divining Top
Scroll Rack
Future Sight/ Magus of the Future
Dig through Time/ Treasure Cruise/Temporal Trespass
Mirri's Guile
Noxious Revival/Reclaim
Brutalizer Exarch/Momir Vig
Mystical Tutor/ Worldly Tutor
Sylvan Library
Leyline of Anticipation/Vedalken Orrery
Mind's Dilation

Basically a bunch of cards that either have high CMC with the ability to reduce their cost, cards that manipulate/tutor to the top of deck and then just play UG toolbox good stuffs.

Basically Just get value out of her and dig for a win condition. I'm just trying to figure out what win conditions to go for honestly.

I have a question though, if I have a card like Elvish Harbinger that tutors for an elf and puts it on the top of deck as an ETB, If its my first spell with Rashmi this turn does Rashmi's effect go first or can I resolve the Harbinger's effect first, then flip the top with Rashmi?

A similar question about Momir Vig, since he has two different triggers on cast. If I cast a UG creature Rashmi and Momo's triggers go off, can I stack and resolve them in such a way that I can put Momo's Green trigger, searching for a creature to top deck, then use Rashmi's ability to play the creature, since I know what it is, THEN have Momo's blue trigger resolve for a possible draw? I'm still learning the stack right now and these answers would help me from making stupid decisions.

This deck seems like a crazy deck with its ability to just flood the board with spells. I haven't been very interested in a new commander in a while, but have never played Simic before.
>>
>>49555976
Red or blue. Yuck.
>>
File: Image (3).jpg (33KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (3).jpg
33KB, 223x310px
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mrs-steal-yo-girl-2/

I posted it the other day, and someone thought it was Galina. Any thoughts on making it better? I purposely avoided any instant win combos, but there is an infinite removal combo with Thornbite Staff.

I was wanting to add a bit more tutoring, what would you guys recommend cutting?
>>
File: noyan.png (342KB, 550x300px) Image search: [Google]
noyan.png
342KB, 550x300px
Tried running Noyan Dar for the first time with proxies, but really he seems like total shit.

Any experienced people have any pointers on building a better Azorius Awakening deck?
I know as it stands it has problems with card draw, which I can remedy, but the rest...

Any advice?
>>
File: PlundertheGraves.jpg (66KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
PlundertheGraves.jpg
66KB, 360x480px
this came yesterday and tonight i am going to go play my first game of EDH at the LGS. im so excited, is there anything i should remember or be ready for?
>>
File: ImageTOD8MXEN.jpg (27KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
ImageTOD8MXEN.jpg
27KB, 223x310px
>>49555976
> Have to build Mono White

Well, they asked for it... If I have to mono white I'm going to make them all NEVER want to make this mistake again.
>>
>>49562290
Remember to not miss any triggers and get ready for graveyard hate
>>
>>49562270
>Be a solid Talrand player for 4 years now
>Know that deck inside and out
>See new Noyan Dar
>"Oh cool! A Blue White Talrand"
>Turning Lands into creatures
>In a format famous for board wipes

Noyan was a clever idea by design team, but MAN it is not a good EDH build except for taking the 1-2 indestructible lands and building them high.

If only he made elemental tokens instead of land awakening, basically a Talrand in UW, that would actually be very interesting...
>>
>>49562395
>Remember to not miss any triggers
>first game of EDH

Pick one.
>>
>>49562290
Don't worry about winning, spend this game and probably the next two learning and experimenting with the deck and getting an idea of what you are doing. Maybe even ask a more experienced person at the table to sit next to you so you can ask for advice.

Besides that, just don't rush out your board presence early and become a target. Meren is VERY good and people will shut you up if you get too far ahead.

Besides that, ask questions and learn...
>>
I am making a Doran deck, and i have both too many creatures and Far too much green. Any black and white stuff you might advise /tg/? Anything themed as angry nature is a huge plus.
>>
File: 1472665504427.png (717KB, 819x575px) Image search: [Google]
1472665504427.png
717KB, 819x575px
jesus fucking christ

i'm playing my first mono-black deck and it's fucking insane how good necropotence is.

>worst case scenario: pay 3 mana and 1-7 life for a wheel effect
>best case scenario: literally infinite cards for the rest of the game unless you somehow run out of life first

like 90% of my tutors end up targeting necropotence, this card is so broken
>>
>>49558716
Nah I know. I found it looking through stuff that could just reanimate for cheap rather than just buying reanimate. I doubt I'd cast life all that much unless the board is cleared and I have a lot of lands to swing with, which isn't hard to get with Meren anyway. She's a ramp queen as well as dead good stuff
>>
>>49562632
Yeah, when you play Necropotence you can tell why Yawgmoth's Bargain and Griselbrand are banned. I wonder how long it is until they realize that Necropopo deserves a ban as well.
>>
>>49555150
You listed a bunch of red shit and I think red, blue, and black get some of the most interesting cards because of what those colors align with. White is kind of the most fair color. In that sense it's not going to do cuhrazeeee shit like red and it's random chaos effects.

Also reanimator.
>>
>>49562612
maybe you can create some spicy tech with this somehow
>>
>>49562666
well the good thing about necropotence is that 1) it's costs three skulls to cast so you can't easily splash into it, and 2) you get the cards at the end phase, so you can't abuse it to combo out or whatever

i'd say it's in the same tier as cyclonic rift, really fucking good but not outright gamebreaking
>>
>>49562834
not the dude you are responding to, but I have personally never lost a game where I resolved necropotence, barring any situations where the opponent got T1 sol ring / crypt and is functionally already three turns ahead on board state.
>>
>>49562880
what kinda deck do you play? do people not cast spot removal on it on their turns? or do you just lift your entire deck in your hand with thought vessel / reliquary tower and win the game next turn?

i'm probably not abusing the card to its fullest in my 60 euro budget monoblack deck
>>
Are any of you guys going to go out and acquire a Masterpiece version of any of these artifacts to pimp out your deck? Not just pulling them from a pack but actually going out of your way to acquire them?

I have a friend that, between trades and buys over the pre releases, already has a Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, and Vault for his Teferi Blue Stuffs deck he is blinging out. He probably traded half of his trade binder for it but he is ecstatic to have them.

I might save up and grab the Masterpiece Combustable Gearhulk, and Rings of Brighthearth for my Feldon Deck since they are pretty much solid staples for the deck no matter what.

Also, if your not interested in any of the Masterpieces in this set, what artifact would you want them to Masterpiece in Aether Revolt that WOULD make you seek it out?

I would enjoy an Anvil of Bogardan myself.
>>
>>49562791
The hanging tree is tech itself. Put a dude at 13. Watch as other players swarm him like sharks to bloody water. Revel as they waste time beating him down to the brink of death. Laugh maniacally as you swap life totals again and thretened the rest of the table with a 3 point life total.
Alternatively, give back their original life total when they try to exsanguinate or similar.OR fire off a black sun and manually lower the tree's toughness.
>>
>>49562945
I am building Gitrot and need a Crucible of World either way. I only see that card going up in value so I might just sell a few spare pieces of left over decks to let me buy the shiny new version of the card.

As for anything to mastercraft? I would probably go with Extraplanar Lens since I think it would look cool in Kaladesh flavor.
>>
>>49562932
The first thing I do is activate the skull 10-15 times. If they try to remove it before I'm done with it, I activate it however much I think you can get away with. A funny thing about the skull is that I want my opponent to remove it. Saves me the trouble.
>>
>>49562932
Not that guy btw. I'd like to add that the skull is so good, you do not need a hand modifier to properly benefit from it. No one ever NEEDS reliquiary tower and the like. They only ever WANT it. Over drawing and pairing down to hand size will sculpt you the best 7 you can have out of 10-20 cards. If you can't make up your mind about what to keep and what to pitch, that just means you need to git gud..
>>
>>49562945
Anvil is on the RL so that won't happen
>>
>>49563141
I play a slow, grind-y deck with lots of toolbox stuff and graveyard recursion, and its "exile stuff you discard" is an enormous drawback to me. Would you still recommend I draw 10-20 cards? So far I've just been using it to draw to 8-9 at EoT and discarding lands.
>>
I'm interested in making an EDH deck for the first time.. Started MTG this year and so far I've only played draft with the occasional "constructed" match on cockatrice.

I like to play token decks, create bunch of creatures that my opponent has trouble attacking into.
What's a good commander for this? Thinking WG is a good colour combination.
>>
>>49563400
Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
Rhys the Redeemed
Emmara Tandris
>>
>>49563446
thanks anon. I'll look into these
>>
>>49563141
not this guy >>49563166 and in fact this guy >>49562932 but i feel similarly when i draw more than my hand size. i usually only draw more than my hand can handle if i'm in a really big hurry to get an answer for something.

but i think i'm just being too much of a pussy about using it and should draw way more cards with it
>>
>>49563166
You can still use entomb effects but you're right, the discard clause can be a hindrance for reanimator strategies. However, I think that you can mostly mitigate the drawback through smart play and good card choices. If your primary strategy to get cards in the graveyard is through discard, necro may simply be a nonbo with your deck and that's fine. I wouldn't recommend drawing so excessively unless you're prepared to deal with the life loss in some way. Palming an exsanguinate, reanimating a life linking fatty, using oloro as your general, developing a substantial board position, or outright winning the game for example. I do the first through fourth options. Reanimating Garry to gain something like 15 life with the merchant and necro alone is excellent. It doesn't hurt that my deck isn't a reanimator style build so it is very easy for me to abandoned reanimator cards and lean on the rest of my deck.

tl;dr. The Skull isn't for every strategy. If it feels bad, don't use it. Nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>49563593
Also I'm a greedy fuck. You always have the option to use it more conservatively. Maybe you just want to sip two cards a turn. That is also a legitimate use.
>>
Migrate y'all
>>49563917
>>49563917
>>
File: cooollll.jpg (180KB, 2222x2297px) Image search: [Google]
cooollll.jpg
180KB, 2222x2297px
>>49562290
Report back later! Remember to have fun, and not take it too seriously. Be a good sport, and don't be afraid to tweak the precon. Best of luck, and hope you love edh!
>>
File: Rith.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Rith.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>49563482
There's also Rith if you want to go more Timmy and Nemata if you're interested in Mono-Green/just in the 99.
>>
>>49562666
Necro is the fairest unfair card that has ever been laid to paper.

Seriously, Wizards were some kind of idiot savants when they made the draw happen only on your end step, and made discarding exile.
>>
>>49560824

Why are there so many people like you in these /edhg/??
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.