[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 337
Thread images: 25

File: 1471472356007.png (45KB, 1840x373px) Image search: [Google]
1471472356007.png
45KB, 1840x373px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Last Session:
>>49516641
>>
Anyone got the pdf of all the "official" (including UA & Plane Shift) character creation options? (Races, subraces, classes and archetypes)
>>
>>49526109
> https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

Everything is in the Mega, anon.
>>
Has anyone ever managed to make Halflings and Gnomes distinct enough from each other to justify them being two entirely separate races that both occupy a "Core Race" spot?
>>
Is Blink worthwhile as a defensive spell?

It's super thematic for my wild magic sorcerer, but being so random I'm not sure that a third level spell slot is worth the price.
>>
>>49526160
No. Eliminate one, expand the other.
>>
File: sleepy.png (93KB, 500x493px) Image search: [Google]
sleepy.png
93KB, 500x493px
UA next week, likely a new encounter-building system. https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/768233489137229824

And next month's is going to be a new downtime system to help high-level characters spend money. https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/780450570196754432
>>
>>49526160
I have ideas to do so, but haven't gotten much in the way of work done on it.

Then again, my world is a bit weird anyway.

The Fey broke a dream-like mirror of the Material Plane away, creating Faerie, where they can continue to dream as they wish, existing as they wish. Some of them decided to remain behind; three distinct types of fey, who, cut off from the magic of Faerie, eventually became Elves, Gnomes, and Halflings.

Haven't gotten further than that.
>>
File: Ankheg.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Ankheg.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Could ankhegs be used as a mount?

Pic related
>>
>>49526234
About damn time. I wonder if it'll be any good...
>>
Does 5th ed actually have rules for wealth by level, magic item loot, and other wealth stuff?

It's hard to plan character development when you don't know when you'll be getting an item that your build revolves around.
>>
>>49526281
Magic items aren't considered into mechanical progression for characters in 5e, outside of martials needing a single magic weapon each by higher levels. There's no guarantee what magic items you'll get in a given campaign (if any), so you shouldn't be building a character around such things.
>>
>>49526281
Gone is the 3.5, PF, and 4e Christmas Tree. Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say!

Good bait, though.
>>
I actually just bought the DMG and the PHB. New stuffs coming out? Oh me oh my.
>>
>>49526341
Yeah, playing an eldritch knight/rune scribe with the fire rune would be dope though.

>>49526368
Not bait.
>>
A player was absent from the session last night, and the other characters managed to reach a major milestone without him. The reward for those characters was a powerful magic item, rolled for each character.

Should I allow the absent player to also receive a powerful magic item?
>>
>>49526408
Eh. I do all my magic items with random treasure rolls from the DMG, so if there's some magic items in there, it's purely by chance.

If my players want a specific magic item, I've got some subsystems to try to allow them. If they have the luck and the money. Chances are, they'll be missing one or the other, which means that I get to add in a lot more plot hooks.
>>
>>49526408
I would, I feel like "punishing" a player for missing a session will just make people more likely to be bitter.

That said, it depends on the reason and how often they do it.
"I had to work/had a family thing/wedding" isn't the same as "I wanted to hang out at the pub, sorry it's the 3rd time this month."
>>
>>49526426
Every magic item given to the characters was rolled for. It was just guaranteed to be magic.

>>49526463
Yeah, that's what i was thinking. I can think of a a pretty good in character reason for him to receive a magic item too.
>>
>>49526408
Depends entirely on why said player was missing and how often they miss, really.
I wouldn't penalize a player for an emergency, or a vacation or something. But if they routinely miss sessions, they're going to start dropping behind the party in XP and equipment.
>>
Newish DM here, running my first 5e game. We're about half a dozen sessions in and I feel like I'm running out of ways to make dungeons/encounters interesting.
Any tips?
>>
File: badger_knight_by_vaejoun-da0g8tq.jpg (321KB, 825x1000px) Image search: [Google]
badger_knight_by_vaejoun-da0g8tq.jpg
321KB, 825x1000px
>>49526160
Halflings are mustelid-men. Lightfoots are weasels, stouthearts are badgers, +30ft swim speed and +1 cha bonus for otters.
>>
Orcpub is really great. Is someone using it and is there a .orcpub file with all the PHB stuff?
>>
>>49526664
I would legit play a stout badger halfling cleric just to play as the picture you put up.
>>
>>49526637
Wilderness, travel, politics, urban.
>>
>>49526160
How distinct do they really need to be? In terms of roles in the world one is naturally stealthy and rural as fuck race, while the other one is a race of naturally magic prankster assholes. I think the bigger problem for me is I have a hard time imagining an all gnome society, but I don't think there needs to be any sort of limit on the amount of short races or whatever
>>49526664
I always thought of halflings more like rabbits
>>
Hey there, anons. Race-building guy back again repeating his inevitable request for criticisms and suggestions as to which race to tackle next.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

For those who'd rather not poke around and try to figure it out, here's the direct list of races I need to get written up:
Pterran
Bladeling
Fey'ri
Rogue Modron
Hamadryad
Satyr
Huldra
Dust Genasi
Rain Genasi
Magma Genasi
Blight Genasi
Smoke Genasi
Tanuki
Mujina
Kawauso
Bakeneko
Itachi
Tengu
Spellscale

Criticisms brought up in the last thread:
* Racial feats are near-universally overpowered; need help toning those down.

* Many races are either bland, underpowered or both - need help boosting them up. Finding more "fluffy" racial traits and switching out the boring "free proficiency" skills is definitely on the list.

As an aside, could really use help figuring out where to go with the Spellscale and Yokai races. The former in particular... I wonder... Maybe go for a subrace mechanic based on Draconic Ancestry, and give 'em damage resistance, spell-like abilities and possibly other features based on canon dragons? Because, honestly, the old Blood Quickening mechanic probably wouldn't work in 5e and was kind of bland back then anyway?

Oh, I just realised... I've been focusing mostly on the crunch, but, maybe I should take a step back and try writing up racial fluff instead? Or should I leave that until I have all of the races statted?
>>
>>49526754
Rabbits can definitely work too.
>>
>>49526264
>Mike Mearls
What do you think
>>
>>49526793
That depends on if Crawford is looking over his shoulder or not.

If not, I doubt it'll be any better than the one in the book.

On the other hand, I've stopped caring about encounter strength, and just put stuff where it makes sense. If the players walk into a CR22 Dragon, that's their problem.
>>
>>49526281
Much like most of the 5E rules we've paid for it doesn't exist under the lazy guise of homebrew it yourself guys.

Reality is it doesn't matter because bounded accuracy but I know I'd really like some guidelines.
>>
I think a friend of mine downloaded a bogus version of Adobe Reader 11. What do you guys use to edit pdfs? Alternatively, does anyone have a legit link for Adobe Reader 11?
>>
>>49527059
Price tags for magic items and wealth by level were left out because they aren't a part of character creation like they would be for 3.5/PF, not because they expect people to homebrew their own wealth by level
>>
>>49526825
Except players don't know if the dragon is a CR22 or a CR14, anon.
>>
>>49527143
But how will he convince them to get a new DM with that sort of thinking?
>>
anyone knows how the paladin mounted combat thing works that can explain it to me better?

Our paladin just unlocked that spell, (well, we sort of all did thanks to some ring of spell storing abuse) and english is like, our third language, so the manual isn't helping
>>
>>49527143
I tend to let them make their own choices. If they didn't bother to ask around the region, investigate, scout, whatever, then they find what they find.

Generally, if there's a CR22 dragon flying around, it's something that at least a few people in the region know about.
>>
>>49527316
And spell with a target of self can also effect the horse (or mastiff or whatever) while you're mounted. You also have a mental link when within on mile of each other
Otherwise it's no different from any other mounted combat
>>
>>49526234
>a new downtime system to help high-level characters spend money

Dig a big hole and throw money in it. It's still more productive and useful than anything presented so far.
>>
Is Half-Elf Ranger bad or are they viable?

I want to be a beast conclave ranger, and my GM will let me switch current character class ans stat around.

We're using standard array, so I'm look at...
STR: 8 DEX: 15(+1) CON: 13(+1) WIS: 14 INT 10 CHA:12(+2)
>>
File: wealth by level.png (161KB, 520x219px) Image search: [Google]
wealth by level.png
161KB, 520x219px
>>49526281
Yeah here you go, page 38 of the DMG.
>>
>>49527505
Half elves are okay at any class since they can pick two ability score points to get, and if you can't do variant humans they might be the only way to get an extra skill of your choice at first level. If you're using the more harsh weight rules I'd probably put that 8 in int or cha instead, but there's really no rocket science here
>>
>>49527550
We don't use Encumbrance rule, so it's cool.
>>
Is it a good idea to dip 2 levels into Bard, or should I go with 3 levels and get some features from a College?
>>
How do you build a berserker that isn't just Guts?
>>
Brainstorming a druid circle that does more fighting, less spell-ing. Mostly need tips for progression-
Druid Circle: Of the Sands
At second level, Wild shape lets you take on certain aspects of animals instead of the whole shape, detailed below. You pick 5 from the list at 2nd level, and 2 additional aspects at levels 5, 8, 11, 14 and 17. When you pick new aspects you can also replace one you've learned with a different one. You can have one aspect in effect at a time. Aspects only affect certain body parts- spellcasting is limited only if the aspect effects one of the necessary components of the spell- head for verbal, hand for somantic.
At sixth level, you can add your wisdom modifier to damage done with melee attacks using your aspects. Your attacks count as magical.
At tenth level, you can apply two aspects to yourself.
At fourteenth level, you can make your aspects apply permanently to your body. You can still switch out aspects using an action.
cont
>>
>>49527837
These aspects are available to you at second level:
BITE: Head. You gain a mouth and teeth capable of giving a strong bite, for 1d10 damage. At 6th level, you can attempt to knock a creature your size or smaller prone when you hit with a bite attack, DC= 8 + your strength modifier + your proficiency bonus. At 14th level, the damage increases to 2d10.
CHAMELEONIC SKIN: Body. Your skin changes subtly to blend into the environment. Creatures have a -5 penalty to spot you while you are hiding. At 6th level, this becomes -10.
CLAW: Hands. Your hands turn into paws with sharp claws, dealing 1d6 damage. At 6th level you can attempt to pounce on a creature your size or smaller if you move at least 20 feet in a straight line towards it. The target must succeed on a strength saving throw (DC=8+str+prof) or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, you can make another claw attack. At 14th level, your claw does 2d6 damage.
CLIMBING LIMBS: Limbs. You gain a climb speed equal to your walking speed. At 6th level this allows you to climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing a check.
COMPRESSIBLE: Body. Your skeleton becomes loose and flexible. You can move through tight spaces without squeezing. At 6th level, you have advantage on acrobatics checks.
GILLS: Head. You gain gills, and can breathe underwater.
INK CLOUD: Hands. You can shoot a 20 foot radius cloud of ink. Underwater, this causes an area to become heavily obscured. On ground, this creates a 10 foot square that acts as the grease spell.
KEEN SIGHT: Head. You have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
KEEN SMELL: Head. You have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.
BIOLUMINESCENCE: Any part. Your body puts off bright light for 10 feet and dim light for another 10 feet.
cont
>>
>>49527855
PREHENSILE TAIL: Body. You gain a tail that can hold or interact with objects, or hold your body and allow you to hang from something while keeping your hands free. You still need to use your hands to pull yourself up to where you are hanging from.
SLIPPERY SKIN: Body. You have advantage on checks to avoid being grappled.
SURE FOOTING: Limbs. You gain sturdy, hooved feet that give you advantage on strength or dexterity checks to avoid being knocked prone.
WEB: Hands or Tail. You can shoot web as a ranged weapon attack. If you hit with a web, the target is restrained and can use its action to attempt to free itself (Strength check, DC 10) or slash its way free (AC 10, 5 hp). At 6th level, you can use your web as if it were a whip.

At sixth level these options become available to you:
AQUATIC BITS: Limbs or Tail. You gain a swim speed equal to your walk speed.
BLOOD FRENZY: Body. You gain savage senses that drive you to blood. You gain advantage on attacks against creatures with less than full HP.
BURROWING HANDS: Hands. Your hands turn broad and shovel-like, giving you a burrowing speed equal to your walk speed.
BOUNDING LIMBS: Limbs. Your legs change to allow you to jump as if under the effects of a jump spell.
HORNS: Head. You grow horns that deal 1d8 damage. If you move at least 20 feet in a straight line towards a creature, you deal an extra 1d8 damage. At 14th level, you deal 2d8 for the horn attack and the additional damage for charging.
HUGE/TINY BODY: Body. Effects of enlarge/reduce spell.
I don't have damage dice balanced yet or anything like that. I also think maybe I should have another tier in here somewhere. Con't.
>>
I'm a 3rd level sorcerer, about to take another level (I have enough exp to hit level 4).

I want more out of combat utility/just general utility. Right now all I do is nuke stuff, which my party loves me for, but I find boring most the time. I also burn out super fast in comparison with everyone else, a fighter/rogue/barbarian. They all get a bunch of shit back on a short rest and I get fucking nothing.

My DM says it's cool for me to multi-class. I'm wondering what I should do.

My sorc is Fey themed, so Feylock would work thematically. It wouldn't give me that much utility until I got the pact boon however, at which point I'd probably take Chain and get me a faerie dragon. The extra spells/ the two back-on-short-rest spells would be nice, and Eldritch Blast would def up my damage, not that damage is a priority. Always-on mage armor would be dope too.

He's also a scholar of sorts, so Lore Bard would work as well. It'd give me some support options and I wouldn't lose out on any spell slots, plus the additional spells known and cantrips would be helpful too.

The party doesn't really have a "Skiller", so going bard would definitely let me help out there. The added support would really help too.

So what do you guys think? Should I MC into one of those right now, or stick Sorc for level 4 so I get my ASI (Which would be put in CHA to bring me to 18)
>>
>>49527873
PARALYZING BITE: Head. You gain a bite attack that deals 1d8 damage and the target must make a constitution saving throw (DC=8+con+prof) on a failed save, the target is paralyzed.
PINCER: Hand. Your hand becomes a large pincer that deals 2d8 bludgeoning damage. On a hit, the target is grappled.
TAIL: Tail. After you make an attack, you can use a bonus action to make an attack with your tail against a target that wasn't the initial target for 3d6 damage, at 14th level this becomes 5d6 damage.
VENEMOUS: Head or Tail. You gain a mouth or tail that can make an attack for 2d6 damage, and impose a constitution saving throw on the target. On a failed save the target takes an addition 4d8 poison damage.

At fourteenth level these options become available to you.
ACID SPRAY: Any body part. You can spray acid in a 15 foot cone dealing 3d6 acid damage.
LONG LEGS: Limbs. Your arms and legs turn into those of a speedy animal, and your run speed doubles.
REGENERATION: Body. You take on the healing effects of an animal. Regain 5 HP per turn.
SHELL: Body. You gain a shell that gives you natural armor of 15+ dex.
SWALLOW: Body and head. You gain the physiology of a creature that swallows prey whole. If you successfully grapple a creature you can swallow it, dealing 3d6 acid damage at the start of the creature's turn for every round it is swallowed.
WINGS: Limbs. Your arms become wings and give you a fly speed equal to your walking speed.
>>
>>49527390

Machiavelli Bard here, I just had a wicked idea

Can I Dimension Door someone into a plate armor, provided the armor is bigger than them?

My haunted amor cohorts have this thing where anyone atempting to wear it or is inside of it, automatically fails a Horrifying Visage attack and takes the full effect
>>
>level 1 party
>clearing a cave of goblins to rescue dude
>see goblin leader holding a hostage
>am a warlock with 20 CHA
>attempt to negotiate
>comes down to a roll
>I am so hyped with my +7 modifier
>nat 1
>fucking hell dice gods
>cast "command" on him to free the hostage
>other goblins slap him out of it
>roll initiative
>whole party rolls low
>I get KO'd at the second round
>hostage is ganked
>party upset that I "played hardball"

20 fucking CHA, /tg/. He's a goddamn master negotiator and he fucks up.
>>
>>49527984
>level 1
>20 CHA

bullshit
>>
>>49527996
I rolled for stats in front of the DM. 3 sixes and a 2, drop the lowest result. Half-Elf template adds +2 to charisma. Bam, 20 CHA out the gate.
>>
>>49527934
Seems kind of like that would require more precision than I assume the dimension door spell is supposed to have. Last I remember anything along the lines of "magically putting on armor quickly" was a ring in 3.5
>>
Is there a creature with the flavor of the Death Knight but lower CR?
>>
>>49527143
Yeah because nobody noticed the fucking ANCIENT dragon in a 1000 plus years
>>
>>49527882
Get dem 3rd level spells asap
>>
>>49526028
Can someone point me to political/intrigue resources for campaigns. I'm completely out of my element trying to make this. I have no idea where to even start.
>>
>>49528027

A Fourth level spell isn't too bad either...

Not that I already don't have the "Put Armor Fast" feature. My armors are animated because I put in a ghost in them, so they just OMNOM me Iron Man style

The party just hasn't seen that coming yet, because they still think role playing is a just instead of roll playing, so I like to keep these tricks up my sleeve for those beautiful "oh shit" moments
>>
>>49527782

Why would you want to
>>
>>49528037
Put a wight in plate and give it 5th level paladin casting
>>
>>49526281
Wealth by level was always to balance a party versus CR, anyone telling you anything else is retarded.

5e doesn't have he same restriction so the DMG just has very broad recommended guidelines for new characters.
>>
Hey, as a fiend-pact warlock I get dark one's blessing, which gives me temp HP after a kill. I'm looking at taking armor of agathys, which gives me 5 temp HP that deals cold damage when I'm hit.

Is this worth it, or is it a waste because I already get temp Hp?
>>
>>49528133
temp hp dont stack, take of that what you will.
>>
File: QkI7RWB.png (52KB, 286x400px) Image search: [Google]
QkI7RWB.png
52KB, 286x400px
>>49528102
Variety, mostly. All of my friends have seen Berserk, I wanted to put a twist on it somehow.
>>
>>49526773
I'm a big fan of fluff informing crunch, so take a step back from the latter for a week and think more about the former.
>>
What is the best way to use Whip?
>>
File: Planar Bestiary 5e.jpg (274KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
Planar Bestiary 5e.jpg
274KB, 612x792px
>>49526028
Does anyone have a pdf of the Planar Bestiary on DM's Guild they can share?

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/193100/Planar-Bestiary?hot60=1&src=hottest_filtered&filters=45469
>>
Lv 3 GOOlock with 8/16/14/12/10/16

Should I just bump my CHA or get a feat? I might want to get War Caster for the advantage on CON saves and for casting Shillelagh while dual wielding.
>>
Anyone have stats for a Planetar that is actually fightable? DM ing for a party of 4? Current stats are ridiculous but I cant get the balance right...
>>
If I'm a sorcerer-bard with Twin Spell,

could I twin Cure Wounds? or Healing Word?

If so that's some shit right there
>>
>>49528286
Jesus fuck dude. In the time you've spent on this board begging, you probably could have gotten a shit job, worked one day, and then quit and spent the check on that book. With cash to spare.
>>
>>49526234

i'd rather see expanded mystic
>>
>>49528368
Why do you want them to fight a planetar if they are too weak
>>
>>49528412
>mystic

I'd love an expanded mystic, but functional encounter guidelines are more important for the life of the game.

I want my mystic, but in the meantime, there's a good homebrew version on Reddit. Works, for now.
>>
>>49528379
As long as the spell only targets one creature, it can be twinned.
>>
>>49526825
I love and hate this philosophy.

The good is in that it's sort of how it should be. Everything isn't tailored to the party, the party has to pick and choose their fights and fights happen for a reason, not just 'random encounter, lol' but each enemy has a reason for being and goals.

The bad is if you go high fantasy and put 18 CR liches around every corner without sufficient warning. There should be some really obvious signs a creature is really powerful, and they shouldn't be awfully common at all unless they go hunting such creatures. It's unfair to spring lots of encounters with limited ways of solving at them where other options might just get them outright killed (Only option: RUN).

If you come across CR 20 creatures on a weekly basis, I worry for the inhabitants of your world.
>>
>>49528379
Get up to magical secrets and you can open up a business for a cut rate 2for1 raise dead service
>>
>>49528542
Right there with you. That sort of philosophy really can make leveling up feel like an achievement since it truly means life is that much easier for you, and you really are that much more of a badass.

Other the other hand randomly running into purple worms, liches, krakens, and old dragons really cheapens a world
>>
>>49528542
They're called regional effects :^)
>>
>>49528542
My philosophy as a DM goes two-fold: 80% of the time, random encounters are with either beasts or humanoids. That other 20% of the time, bad things will happen in a random encounter.

The idea being that most of the really nasty creatures will have lairs, because otherwise, someone would have gotten an army together and gone a-wreckin'. That's why creatures have "Lairs", after all.

There are always exceptions, however; there's a part of my world that's called the Ashen Wastes, and is the resulting mutagenic wasteland when someone summons and then someone else slays an avatar of Orcus. Going there is fun. They stay there for a while, and start growing extra arms and such.

>>49528589
By that same token, this is also accurate. In a 1.3 million square mile map, there's only three ancient dragons; there is one specific area that is basically infested with dragons, but everyone knows about them, and they're not that old--yet.
>>
I made an item based on Ice-nine, following the Basilisk Gaze as the template. Thoughts?

This small stone is cool to the touch, and turns water it comes into contact with into ice. As an action you can throw this stone up to 20 feet. If the stone makes contact with water, it stops moving and instant freezes all connected water within a 5 foot sphere. This effect is so strong it even freezes fluids such as saltwater or a muddy slurry, however it does not effect blood or other bodily fluids.
If a creature starts its turn at least waist high in the quickly freezing water, the creature has to make a DC 12 Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the creature magically begins to freeze. They are restrained and cannot take any actions. They must make a Strength or Dexterity saving throw at the end of its next turn. On a success, the creature got out of the ice and no longer suffers from the conditions. On a failure, the creature is petrified.
Removing the creature from the ice doesn’t not remove the condition, the creature may only freed by the greater restoration spell or other magic.
>>
>>49528368
if you want them too fight a planetar then you could use the stats for something weaker and just describe it as a planetar
>>
>>49528669
Does the being frozen thing kill a creature? Because, if it does, it's super powerful and god-forbid your players ever get a hold of one.
>>
>>49528765
Petrify is a condition and isn't technically killing. Pic related.
>>
>>49528669
>5 foot sphere
Probably better to say 'a sphere of 5 ft radius'

Slight worries about self-petrification if they don't keep it in a waterproof container and enter water, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Maybe keep a creature that's freezing a whole round where they can't use the lower part (move speed 0) but they can still use an action (and thus might be able to save themself if they have the right spells).

I do like it though, and that's saying something. I like niche, funny little items like that that are quite powerful if used in the right way.
I don't really think it's overpowered at all, given any important enemy might have legendary resistance or some counter anyway or deserves to die.

>>49528765
It clearly says that the only way it can really affect somebody is if a target is at least waist-high in a watery substance and they fail a DC 12 check to not freeze. In such a case, it's quite powerful, but the save isn't insanely high and honestly it's quite a specific situation.
>>
>>49528826
That is true, I suppose; being frozen solid tends to be deadly for anyone, though, which is where I was coming from. It's one of those, "I better be clear, otherwise one of my players may fuck me with my own homebrew" situations that I worry over.

Pro-tip: Never run Exalted.
>>
>>49528765
>>49528826
>>49528859

Truthfully the setting is Fantasy Florida, so deep water isn't entirely uncommon. The shorter races are more susceptible to the effect than taller races.

Good call on the correction of the sphere.
>>
>>49528887
Oh, god, Fantasy Florida....I shudder at the thought.

I grew up in South Florida.
>>
>>49528479
I can't really get into the homebrew Mystic. The stuff they added to it doesn't really sound like what WotC is going for.
>>
>>49528887
I think '5 ft' applied to a sphere automatically assumes 5ft radius, but you can neverbetoo sure.

>>49528859
As long as there's plenty of room for it to fuck the player over too (See: Wielding a cockatrice corpse) it's fine to have such a powerful item if you keep the player aware of its danger.

I think having instant freeze on save might be a bit dangerous in a very icy environment.

>>49528887
I'd probably make it so that there's one initial save to prevent being 'restrained' by being trapped in ice, andthen in the rounds afterwards the enemy may suffer from things such as unable to move limbs (trapped in ice), unable to breathe, taking cold damage every turn.. That sort of thing, as if being restrained wasn't enough.

Probably reward creative use of it, but if you want to be really safe you could do the above to tone it down from 'save or die' to 'save or suck'.
>>
>>49528070
Not him, but why?
>>
Alright, I'm having an idiot moment: where are the rules for Small size characters using weapons?
>>
>>49528975
They have disadvantage on attacks made with heavy weapons.
>>
>>49528286
Ten bucks you faggot, stop begging and reward the content creator for creating content you want badly enough to degrade yourself this much.
>>
>>49528998
Page reference...? I'm considering making a gnome barbarian to torture my DM with.
>>
>>49528380
>>49529008
True but then I wouldn't get it for free.
>>
>>49529029
Well you still could, but anything bigger than a longsword wouldn't be as effective. I don't remember the page reference, but I imagine it would be in either the weapon quality part of equipment or the racial traits of gnomes or halflings
>>
>>49529029
Buy a mastiff, give it a military saddle and plate barding, then wield a lance
>>
>>49529029
Give your gnome barbarian a battle-axe instead.
Garl Glittergold, the primary gnome deity, uses one.
>>
File: gnomes a shit.jpg (624KB, 910x1456px) Image search: [Google]
gnomes a shit.jpg
624KB, 910x1456px
>>49529094
Are you sure it isn't a dagger, which Garl Glittergold uses to stab people in the back?
>>
>>49529029
Shortswords are perfectly viable on a non-berserker barbarian. Berserker is suboptimal anyway.

It'll do less damage than a GWF, but that's an optional feat when you'll probably be upping your stats or something instead.

Going shortswords/rapier+shield allows you to become a dex barbarian (for lots of AC added onto the fact you get resistance on damage), or you could multiclass into rogue since finesse weapons (rapier+shield/shortswords) can sneak attack.

Just... Don't use heavy weapons. Sure, you can reckless attack, but it's not really worth it.
>>
>>49529192
I fucking hate gnomes, but if you put me in the position where I have to decide between taking a gnome's or a kobold's word on something I'm going to say I trust the cave lizard less
>>
...how fast does one sink in water when wearing heavy armor?
>>
>>49529246
There are no rules for swimming in heavy armor.
>>
>>49529246
Hopefully you won't be penalized too strongly, because there's already not enough benefit to wearing heavy armour.

However, if you want to go for 'realism' and 'dick-dm points'... Don't. If you have 15 strength to wear plate armour, you're a very strong being in peak condition that while maybe can't float in water still has their full speed.
>>
>>49529282
I actually meant after the character falls unconscious or is incapacitated or paralyzed. Can't make death saves if you're drowning at the same time.

It may come into play, as there's a fight with an absolutely enormous snake with paralyzing venom in an underground grotto. Fun times.
>>
The debate/spectacle/shitshow got me thinking. How would I run a political debate type thing in 5e? One of my PCs is seeking elected office.

Should it be sequential persuasion checks? Deception? Performance? All three depending on the situation? How much should the actual content of the player's message matter, versus their stats?
>>
what are spells you can use for tracking someone?
>>
>>49529333
I'm glad your players are into it, but the idea of running something like this makes my head ache.
>>
>>49529246
As far as I know there aren't. I'd just say 15 a round since it seems like a good amount for creating tension without being a death sentence
>>
What kind of simple weapon would a half-vampire noble wield? I like the idea of a spear for impailing, but it seems more warrior-esque than I'm going for.
>>
File: iu[5].jpg (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
iu[5].jpg
11KB, 300x300px
>>49529395
Spear type weapon would be neat from a Vlad the Impaler perspective
>>
>>49529359
Yeah, I decided just to let drama happen, maybe call for an athletics check if it comes up--assuming they're conscious. It's one of those times, I think, where no mechanic is probably better.
>>
>>49529315
If you want to be picky, calculate inventory weight + character weight and then work out the character's estimated volume based on their height to determine approximate density.

Alternatively, everybody sinks at the same rate.
I'm going to make my usual angry post about strength and dexterity in 'why heavy armour is bad' in a moment.
>>
At least heavy armour had flat-footed protection before. Now all it really gets is +1 AC, which is lame.

Benefits of Heavy Armour:
>+1 AC over half-plate (14 dex) or studded leather (20 dex)
>Some of the tankiest magical armour tends to be plate.
>If your DM is nice, you 'might' be harder to push, or you may get benefit of the doubt on some things.
>Allows you to dump dex without taking a harsh hit to AC. Still gives you low, low initiative, crappy dex saves (important), shitawful stealth, ultra-shit unarmoured AC (Yes, you have less AC than a peasant despite supposedly wanting to be the party tank.), crappy dex attacks for projectiles, throwing, catching, and so on.
>Has access to a damage reduction feat.
>Good look for a knight.
>Dwarfs don't need 15 strength.

Downsides Of Heavy Armour:
>Most expensive, plate is double the price of half-plate.
>ALWAYS has disadvantage on stealth.
>Hardest to put on / take off.
>Hardest to get proficiency for. The only multiclass that grants heavy armour proficiency is some Cleric domains, and otherwise only Paladins, Fighters and Clerics may start proficient in heavy armour without feats.
>Requires 15 strength for plate armour, whereas half-plate only requires 14 dexterity (and dexterity is more generally useful).
>Makes you a little MAD if strength isn't your main stat.
>DMs are more likely to rule against your favour when subjected to 'heat metal', flying, swimming, jumping, etc.
>Severely limits certain class abilities (barbarian).
>>
>>49529315
water slows you so it shouldn't make a difference, really

even whoever dives in to get them, they wouldn't have a lot of resistance with an unconscious body in terms of keeping them above. they might need some athletic checks for swimming while dragging a body

if you throw them into a raging river or sea storm they're kind of fucked without help though
>>
>>49529465
What I'm saying with this post isn't exactly 'heavy armour is seriously underpowered!'

Just maybe lightly underpowered, or it really doesn't give you the feel of being a tank.

Like, again, seriously, you get +1 AC and chances are your dex saves are going to be suckier and make up some of that mitigated damage anyway.

They did remove a lot of things like 'spellcasting in armour you're proficient in still sucks' though. But that just makes heavy armour stand out less from the crowd, as much as I like that change.
>>
>>49529428
Let them make an athletics check. DC 20.

They sink a number of feet equal to the amount they failed the check by. if they succeed on the check, they rise a number of feet equal to success, but obviously not past the surface.
>>
>Wear heavy armor
>Water zombies
>Fall off boat, sink 30 feet
>Can hold breath for 400 rounds
>Mop up zombies
>Find wall, climb up
>Party gets me back on the boat

That's how it worked for me, but I don't think that's how it should work.
>>
>>49529465
Strength has better magic item support at least as far a martial types are concerned, and what's so bad about how only really fighters, paladins, and certain clerics (or anything that multiclasses in any of those) are suited to heavy armor anyway? It's clearly meant to be the extra 1 point of ac for being the strong guy in a fighter-like class with the time spent putting it on and off as the downside

I don't consider initiative to be as important as it previously was
>>
>>49529492
Keep in mind that it's only 1 ac if their dex stat is maxed. For an archer fighter or a rogue that might be the case by the time you have plate armor, but for anything with dex as a secondary focus I think that's a lot less likely, while with heavy armor you only need to have 15 strength
>>
>>49527984
Natural 1's on skill checks are not automatic failures. Between proficiency and your CHA mod, you're looking at a total roll of 8. A failure but nothing horrifically bad.
>>
I want to play an undying warlock that's essentially Alucard. What pact do I choose?
>>
>>49529579
Sounds reasonable to me, but that's mostly because a high fantasy worlds has different rules of logic and such than gritty realistic worlds.

Though I think holding your breath underwater is actually only 1 minute per con modifier, so it's 20-30 rounds on average with the best possible being like 60 -80 rounds.
>>
>>49529676
Which Alucard? Hellsing is probably out of the scope of DnD. Castlevania Alucard is a chainlock with longsword proficiency.
>>
>>49529615
Anything with dex as a secondary focus can easily have 14 dex and grab medium armour.

If they had light armour proficiency but not medium/heavy? Well, not only is it easier for them to get medium armour proficiency, but it's also less demanding as they only need 14 of one of the 'god-stats' to make it work well.
If you went strength instead of dexterity while waiting to get better armour proficiencies, you'd suffer more.

For light armour wearers, they're either sort-of-spellcasters (Warlock) who don't deserve super-high AC anyway or they're someone like a rogue, who will inevitably get 20 dex sooner or later.

>>49529582
The problem is that while heavy armour is exclusive, it's just not really that special or useful. +1 AC for going full tank mode sounds pretty lame, to be honest. It also feels a bit lackluster in terms of tanking potential compared to the barbarian, who can (With a small bit of MADness) obtain half-plate for 2 AC less easily than a +1 AC fighting style fighter, yet also have resistance on all damage if they go bearbarian.

The magic item support is a thing, but a lot of DMs have a habit of tailor-dropping magic items for their party. Not all DMs, but some.

The thing is, I might even dare say that dexterity is often more viable for paladins/fighters (and thus, non-heavy-armour) unless they're willing to spend feats and go up the GWF line.

Heck, a barbarian's unarmoured AC can go higher than you can get from wearing +3 plate armour.
>>
>>49529713
There's probably a lot of reasonable ways you could calculate how long you hold your breath by con, but the only dramatic difference I ever see is if doing things like attacking or other actions effects how long you have left by eating up some of that time limit
>>
>>49529746
A chainlock? What's his familiar?
>>
>>49529764
>>49529582
Not saying barbarian is overpowered (Mostly because their later level features suck and they get a load less ASIs for that) but really that wearing heavy armour doesn't really feel much different from some guy in medium armour with 14 dexterity, unless your DM throws you the bone of magical heavy armour (Which, admittedly, is quite common.)
>>
>>49529791
In Symphony of the Night he has several, notably an imp, a pixie, and a bat. He also has a wisp-ghost thing and a flying sword, though those are both gonna be DM fiat. Obviously you can only have one at a time, but you can recast find familiar to change it's form.

Tomelock with Book of Secrets would also work, but Al isn't much of a caster compared to his martial skills.
>>
>>49529764
For paladins it depends. I think a vengeance paladin would probably almost always do better with strength. The others are more up in the air, but I'd say are at least slightly better off with strength unless they're a halfling or elf and have a head start in the other direction
Being worse at taking punishment than a barbarian is like being worse at casting spells than a wizard, and unless the barbarian rolled (and for the love of god let that tradition die) very high stats they're giving up a lot to have that 20 dex and 20-24 con
The only time I think heavy armor really gets shafted is if your DM is running a very wilderness/ hiking/ travel by land centric game and keeps screwing you over by attacking you when your armor is off.
>>
>>49529937
...are there rules for sleeping in armor in 5e?
>>
File: 1411484719896.jpg (319KB, 1000x1542px) Image search: [Google]
1411484719896.jpg
319KB, 1000x1542px
Quick question, starting Curse of Strahd soon probably, looking for slightly more interesting ways of making a gish. I am aware of Bladesingers, EKs, and Bladelocks, but I was thinking about something a little more off the beaten path, so to speak. I definitely want it to be a strength based character, so Heavy Armor and Martial Weapons are preferred, and I'd really like a way to grab GFB and Booming Blade.

Valour Bard is one path, perhaps a Fighter 1 / Bard X build, though I wouldn't get GFB until level 7.

Was thinking about a Fighter 1 / Arcana Cleric, kind of a Spell-Kngiht build, all the proficiencies and cantrips get covered, and I get some interesting Wizard stuff, and +Wis to GFB would make it hit pretty dang hard. Got some interesting anti-magic shenanigans as well, though I don't know why they don't get Counterspell.

Anyone done any interesting ways to make a Gish? I'd played a Paladin, Warlock, Fighter, and a Wizard before so I'd like to stay away from those. I enjoy optimizing but it's not expressly required.
>>
>>49529852
Hmm... I wonder what Shanoa would be... Probably Wizard with longsword proficiency?
>>
>>49530023
I've done a full gish arcana cleric, but with light armor. Was fun. I focused on aura spells like spirit guardians when I could; my favorite combo for boss fights was spirit guardians + spiritual weapon, and then wading into melee since I had warcaster.
>>
>>49530035
I'd actually make Shanoa a bladelock with a homebrew invocation that allows you to summon your pact weapon as part of an attack, potentially changing it as well. Doubtful that it'd fly with most DMs though.
>>
>>49530023
Talk with your GM about getting some homebrew stuff approved, maybe look at Mercer's Blood Hunter. I know some anon had a homebrew port of the Duskblade from 3.5 to 5e, which would be about as close to a pure gish as you could get.
>>
>>49529937
I can understand vengeance paladin if you're thinking of using polearm mastery, but otherwise it's just GWF to make use of advantage and such.

If you want to be a protecting paladin with a shield, you might as well go dexterity and pick up a rapier and shield.

I think the 'wilderness hiking campaign' one is the thing I'm most agitated about. Especially if you've dumped dex (because heavy armour is the only real way to dump dex, and sometimes it's nice to make a low dex/con character for.. Reasons, but then I guess we're not talking about 'optimal builds' anymore).
Getting caught with your armour off multiple times and being rendered to a lower AC than the party wizard's base AC, Sinking all the time from your extra weight, or being more vulnerable to spells like disintegrate or 'heat metal'/shocking grasp (Not that medium armour escapes this, light armour tends to) or ...
Yeah, really, the problem is that so many spells like 'fireball' would actually be better against a heavy armour user.

Barbarians are supposed to be tanky, but they're not really supposed to have super-great AC, it feels like. Reckless attack often exposes them, and they won't get to benefit from it without exposing themselves, but it does feel a bit odd that they're almost on par. Though, 17->18 AC could be a lot depending on how high a modifier the enemies have to-hit.
Unless they're a dex barbarian. But losing the on-hit rage damage kinda sucks for them.
>>
>>49530035
I don't remember all the castlevania characters off the top of my head, but wasn't Shanoa the one that was basically a tattooed monk? As far as old prestige classes go I think that one was just basically a monk that could pick and choose their features, so on the fluff side of things you could just say each magical monk thing you do comes from some magical tattoo
>>
Since we're talking about Castlevania...

Does spell sniper work with whip? Might play a Ranger with Favored Enemy: Undead and a Green Flame Blade Whip.
>>
oi anyone want to dm a 5e game for our homo weeb server on rolld20.org nonsensical stuff?

Seriously though I'm looking for anyone wanting to help organize some sessions so heres the invite

https://discord.gg/BF7kmGn

thanks senpai.
>>
>>49530023
Don't talk to your DM with getting homebrew allowed, as fuck homebrew.

Clerics can work if you get them Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade, as they add their +1d8 to the damage and have pretty decent AC and defense-based spells even if they're only a 1d8 class.

Paladins are kinda great for it, because they can smite a lot, are actually proper front-line fighters and can do all the spell stuff.

Rangers would kinda qualify if they didn't suck, and their spells aren't really focused on melee combat.

Eldritch Knight focused on Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade is another possibility. You'll likely have less spells, but you can get the feel going and even multiclass into casters once you get war magic at level 7 without suffering much.

As a general rule with a gish, don't expect to be running around throwing high level spells (unless you're a [vomits] bladelock or a cleric... or some sort of full caster) and doing a lot of damage with your spells. EKs and ATs kinda suck at spell damage, although Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade can apply to both EKs and ATs well. Arcane Tricksters suck at stuff like throwing fireballs more than Eldritch Knight sucks at it, though.

Bladesinger wizard is certainly something you should look into if you can spare a high dex and high int stat. Their health sucks, but their AC is great and their attacks actually somewhat viable, but I'd recommend finding a good multiclass for a small dip to maximize melee damage.

Valor also works.
>>
what do you do when you join a group but the DM is bad
>>
>>49530162
Yes, yes it does.

Green Flame Blade's secondary attack should still only target a creature within 5ft, though.

Booming blade has some nice synergy with whip if your teammates will stay the fuck away and encourage the enemy to move to even be able to attack. Played a booming blade whip paladin at one point.
>>
>>49530103
For paladins I was mostly thinking of getting the most out of hold person/monster and haste since you just get more out of crits and extra attacks with bigger weapons
As for the rest of that post, yeah strength is kind of buttfucked when they're caught off guard as far as armor is concerned. There's no official rule on sleeping with armor that I'm aware of, and you could probably push your luck for a night or two with most DMs (it really should be expected you will sleep in armor when it's just you and a few others anyway), but I think it's a fringe enough issue that it doesn't invalidate heavy armor.
>>
>>49530173
Leave. The DM isn't going to imrpove from a single lecture, unless there's only a few issues and the DM is a great guy outside of being a bad DM.

'Ah, sorry, work's changing my schedule.'
>>
>>49530191
Don't lie to him, just be tactful and say that you were looking for a different type of game and aren't interested in continuing.
>>
>>49529333
And yet people scoff at social combat when there are direct and easily identifiable uses.
>>
>>49530186
Oh, yes, haste. If you've got another strength brute on the team, you can probably just throw haste at them. Hold person/monster is probably better for your teammates, too, since they might have turns before the monster.
GWF has synergy with some things such as champion or maybe vengeance paladin, but I think it still stands that if you ever want to go sword and board you might as well go dexterity fighter. Heck, if you have stats to spare, you 'could' put 15 strength and go for 20 dex, or if you're a dwarf you could disregard strength and just go dex. Heavy armour's +1 AC is a bit of a boon there as you can also swap out for light armour for stealth missions, not suck armourless, still have initiative and all that and so forth.

It doesn't make heavy armour non-viable,but I feel it contributes to making heavy armour users feel less tanky. I think most DMs are kind enough to let you have the option to sleep in armour, even if you gain a level of exhaustion.

Do you see the heavy armour master feat get used a lot? It does seem a pretty neat option for a GWF since it gives +1 strength, they get a bunch of ASIs and they can probably take it sometime after getting GWF. Shame it's only likely ever to get taken after GWF though.
>>
>>49530310
Ah, then again, still seems like a sound option if at the start of the game your strength is odd-numbered, or you go variant human with +2 strength to get from an even number to an even number.
>>
do you allow multi classing?
>>
>>49530384
If it's explainable. I'd rather people tell me ahead of time so I could figure out a way to put a reason in-game.
>>
>>49526160
I make halflings niggers and gnomes as Eskimo-like culture that uses magic to form "igloos" from earth.
>>
>>49530384
There're some people who seem to get mad about it being 'power gaming', but I don't see why not. Most of the time, it's balanced perfectly fine and the only danger is that an inexperienced player might make a poor multi-class decision.

However, as other anon said, it should be explained somehow like suggested in the book. 'Dave's fighter had been training with Simon's rogue.'

Regardless of if someone multi-classes or not, not being able to explain your character's powers is bad roleplay.
>>
Yall ever just get that feeling about a new player, you just know he's gonna be a fucking pain to play with?

>>49530384
If it's not "the fighter killed a goblin and is now working for cthulu" , or clearly purely for minmaxing/powergaming purposes (which it is 90% of the time), sure
>>
File: pirate.gif (132KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
pirate.gif
132KB, 350x350px
Would a pirate on the sword coast be considered evil? My group is pretty split on this issue.

If he steals for personal gain would that be considered evil or neutral?

I know alignments are a bunch of crap, but others at my table don't agree with me. Any extra input would be appreciated.
>>
Our DM is starting a campaign and he will allow homebrew Classes. Does anyone know one cool/powerful homebrew Cleric Class? or where can I check them out?
>>
>>49530514
Well a pirate's chaotic, nothing to be said about that.

good/neutral/evil would depend on his methods. Does he ransack innocent merchant vessels, murder the crew and take the loot? Evil.

Does he only target vessels owned by the EVIL OVERLORD? Does he do so to steal the supplies and give them to the impoverished residents of the coast? Good.

Does he just take what he wants, but tries not to murder people if he doesn't have to/ tries to get ships to surrender rather than be boarded? Chaotic Neutral.

>>49530532
>Does anyone know one cool/powerful homebrew Cleric Class?

is there something wrong with the existing domains? Something they don't cover for the character you want to make?
>>
What are the most useful Wizard spells and cantrips an Eldritch Knight could get? Both in and out of combat. I'm currently stuck on Booming Blade and Magic Missle. I might just take Green-Flame Blade as my second cantrip but I'm totally stuck with the first level spells.
>>
>>49530514
Stealing shit for selfish reasons sounds like a pretty clear case of evil
>>
>>49530591
Besides for the attack cantrips like booming blade/GFB you don't really want attack spells.

Shield and Absorb Elements were basically all my EKnight used. Find Familiar is great for utility and combat, something like Burning Hands or Sleep may come in handy if there's a shit ton of guys in front of you
>>
>>49530574
>Does he only target vessels owned by the EVIL OVERLORD? Does he do so to steal the supplies and give them to the impoverished residents of the coast? Good.
Robin Hook, the Scourge of the Sea
>>
>>49530497
Always good to set psychological tests on the player beforehand.

It's okay to do somethingfor 'purely' powergaming purposes (If they like a mechanical concept, such as being a blastey fighter and multiclassing helps them achieve that) if they can justify it in a way that makes sense, is actually fun and most importantly they actually want to play.

As I said once before, the real problem is when players make a character they don't want to roleplay. They want to play with the abilities, but they don't want to roleplay abilities. That's where it becomes bad, not when they think 'oh, if I get a level in fighter I could get more damage on my two-weapon-fighting attacks' but 'oh, if I get a level in fighter I could get that, but my character is a CN lolsorandumb that would never be able to put the time and effort into fighter training'.
>>
>>49530574
I'd like to see some other homebrew domains for inspiration. But I'm not usually into homebrews so I don't know where to start.
>>
>>49530591
Level 1:
Shield (Abjuration), Absorb Elements (Abjuration, I think), Find Familiar (Conjuration)
Familiars are simply just versatile. Shield / Absorb Elements are key spells.

Cantrips:
Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade as main cantrips. If you get an additional cantrip, they're less important, but you could grab mage handor something.

Later spells you might want include:
Hold Person (If your int is actually any good)
Mirror Image (Regardless of int, better if you're a dexterity EK, which you should be if you're sword+board. If you're GWF and just want to do damage, go battlemaster. If you want to do damage despite being EK... You can go strength. You do you, I guess.)
Haste (Regardless of int)
Misty Step (Regardless of int)
Rope Trick (Regardless of int)
>>
>>49530676
I don't allow MC'ing if it's something like

"the ranger wants to become a warlock because he doesn't have Darkvision and wants to get Devil's Sight".

That's not valid for me. Something like

"The Cleric, who worships some elven/fae related diety, wants to get some Feylock levels because he'd thinks it'd be cool to have a more direct link with a patron and get some cool warlock stuff"

It needs to have some sort of in-game reason.
>>
>>49530753
That's kinda bad, though.

It means the people who 'think' they're powergaming but actually aren't end up being more powerful (Because honestly half the time multiclassing is weaker unless you know what you're doing) and it means the players who're gimping themselves on purpose... Gimp themselves on purpose instead of using fluff.

I see a lot of people say 'Oh, well, I guess I should take a level in this to represent being more like this' when it'd be perfectly adequate to take something else that doesn't hinder your character and fluff it up.

Denying the ranger from going warlock and getting devil's sight is kind of railroading their customizability into 'You only get your class features, you're not allowed to delve into other concepts'.
On the other hand, if you're simply asking they can actually explain it and they're happy to play along with the explanation like 'The ranger wants devil's sight to get darkvision, and nobody else in the party has it and they want to be more utilitarian, so they're saying that the ranger's natural curiosity has tempted him to mess with this ancient tome to practice more darker magics than the natural magics he's used to, for the greater good'.

You do get some DMs that don't care if people multiclass without explanation because they don't pay enough attention to the characters anyway, but that's bad DMing.
>>
So nobody knows about online homebrews for cleric?
>>
>>49530790
Off the top of my head it's mostly just certain ways of multiclassing into warlock that makes me feel like the player is doing something cheesey. I don't think those would even bother me as much if the class didn't have all the "trading souls for power" (or something similar) fluff without anything really backing it up.
Still I consider it more bad taste than something worth enforcing against in most cases
>>
My Wizard took a level of Rogue to be better at dancing so

I may not have useful multiclassing advice
>>
>>49531053
why didn't he just pay for a dance class and get a homebrew advantage on seducing the enemy
>>
>>49530943
Warlock isn't something you should be concerned about. There are some nice features there, but there's nothing really broken you can do with it.
A cleric-warlock for example and cast spells like 'aid' and then have a short rest, but they're sacrificing high-level spell slots and they could easily use their lower level spell slots.

A spell like 'hex' can be obtained through magic initiate anyway and a spell like 'darkness' with devil's sight messes up your own team just as much as the enemies.

There aren't a lot of set-ups that can multiclass without much consequence, but when they do they often tend to be a bit less powerful than other class options. For example, a booming blade EK level 7 multiclassing out compared to a battlemaster advancing their superiority dice.

The only thing I definitely think is broken is certain brands of strength rogue multiclassing - but it fills the gap of 'there aren't any strength archetypes for rogue' nicely.
>>
>>49531156
Warlock in particular can just get a lot with 2 or 3 levels when multiclassing (bard, paladin, sorcerer, and possibly the new beastmaster/bladelock if I'm reading both right off the top of my head), which can easily make people want to take it for questionable reasons. Like I said, I probably wouldn't ban it or anything, but I think people often take the pact stuff a little to lightly when multiclassing in it
>>
>>49530624
>>49530728
Shield seems really useful so I guess I'll take that. I'm not sold on Absorb Elements though, since dealing fire damage back to something that dealt fire damage doesn't seem very effective. Thanks for the help though!
>>
>>49530115
It's been a while since I played the game with Shanoa in it, but she was the one who had her memory erased and was told to go collect magic glyphs to perform a ritual that would be used as a weapon against Dracula if he ever came back (as the Belmont bloodline wasn't active during this period of Castlevania lore).

Turns out the person who wiped her memory and sent her on the quest wanted to use her as a sacrifice to revive Dracula, and the guy you were chasing down was trying to have you stay alive long enough while he searched for a way to save your life should you use/cast the "kill Dracula" spell (which did as it was advertised, though it took your soul in the process).
>>
>>49531156
>certain brands of strength rogue multiclassing - but it fills the gap of 'there aren't any strength archetypes for rogue' nicely.
Huh? Are you talking about some homebrew archetype or just some build I haven't heard of? I don't really remember if you need to use dex to sneak attack or just for it to be a finesse weapon, but now I'm kind of curious if there's some weird thing out there people are doing
>>
>>49530790
>Denying the ranger from going warlock and getting devil's sight is kind of railroading their customizability into 'You only get your class features, you're not allowed to delve into other concepts'.

that's complete bullshit friendo. They can multi-class into something that makes sense; they can't multi-class into something that doesn't make sense or requires leaps and bounds to justify.

If the player asks at character creation, "Hey I want to multi-class ranger with warlock, here's why and how it effects the character", then that's fine.

On the same hand, if a player asks "I want to multiclass sorc and warlock so I can do a bunch of DPR with Eblast and Hex and Quicken shenanigans!" then that's not fine.

>>49531227
what? Absorb Elements's main draw is half damage on taking elemental damage on reaction.

Fireball just hit you and you failed your save, about to take 32 points of damage that would KO you? Absorb Elements, it's now 16, you're not unconscious, and you have resistance to fire damage until the end of your next turn, PLUS an additional 1d6 elemental damage on your next whatever.

It's a fucking excellent spell and an Eknight would be retarded not to take it.
>>
>>49531204
Yeah. Warlock pacts are kind of a big deal. Half the time you're practically selling your soul to hell for fiend pacts. GOO pacts are pretty omnious with the things often not even acknowledging you, and fey pacts.. Are more personal.

You say you get a lot from 2 or 3 levels, but it's nothing like multiclassing a level into the new ranger (at level 3, get a pet that scales regardless of ranger levels, at level 1, get a whole load of features) or barbarian (for one level, get resistance to all melee damage for a minute, and deal +2 damage on every strength melee hit, twice a day), a level in cleric for a wizard (heavy armour/medium armour proficiency, spell progression continues)..

I think warlock levels are a fair sidegrade to compliment some characters. Warlock is a very tempting class, but it's not really broken or overpowered or anything. But, like you said, that makes it tempting for people to make poorly justified multiclasses into it.

>>49531241
It's mostly just my endless innane rants, but finesse weapons can be used with strength. Rapier+shield, barbarian 5 to get extra attack and the rest of the levels go rogue. Excessively tanky, great grapples and yet still competitive damage.

Or you can be a stupid RAW-munching clown and take a heavy crossbow and sneak attack people in theface with it.
>>
>>49530591
Shield is good if you don't mind giving up your reaction for a potential AoO against a fleeing foe.

Chromatic Orb if your INT is high enough and you really want some sort of ranged damage spell.

Protection from Good/Evil's also nice, along with Absorb Elements (these two are Abjuration, Chromatic Orb's Evocation). You can't get Find Familiar as it's outside of the purview of the EK's spell schools.
>>
>>49531267
I thought the main draw would be the extra damage but when you put it that way it seems really good.
>>
>>49531227
As other anon said, the main point of absorb elements is you negate half the damage. EKs are the tankiest of fighters if you build them up with shield and absorb elements.

The extra damage is just icing on the cake.

>>49531267
It's fine, as long as they word it in a way that doesn't sound like 'LOOK AT ME, I'M POWERGAMING!'
Their real intentions might be that they want to play a silly gimmick, but as long as they can sugarcoat it with an actually sensible explanation and they actually want to play their explanation then it's all fine.

The players should play what they want to play, without ruining the experience for others. And some people have an interest in making unusual builds, despite playing 5e and not 3.5 or something. As long as they still appreciate there's a roleplay element to the game and aren't totally down the aspergers line, then it should be fine.
>>
>>49526160
Never bothered. Ditched halflings, kept gnomes. One subrace chills in forests and hills, akin to hobbits which would love in trees, the other is dwarfaboos, believing that they are the descendants and inheritors to the ancient dwarven kingdoms (which fell long ago, and the dwarves disappeared with them).
>>
File: 1450793330301.jpg (254KB, 752x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1450793330301.jpg
254KB, 752x1000px
>>49531241
Some people don't like that, after a certain level, Barbarians DPS increases very slowly, since their only upgrades to that become the occasional extra die on a crit or couple flat damage while raging. So, you just start taking levels in Rogue. Sneak Attack is reliable extra damage each turn that relies on just one of your multiple attacks connecting, Reckless Attack gives you advantage for Sneak Attack (fuck people who say it doesn't make sense, exposing your own weakness to make daring thrusts at an enemy's and exploiting it is totally legit), expertise in Athletics for big time grappling insurance, bonus action tactics when you don't have a way to hit it with your sword again or something, and all sorts of other bonus fuckery. Not stronger entirely than straight Barbarian or Rogue, but very effective at being a mockup thug/strength rogue and doing its thing.
>>
>>49530591
>>49531282
Chromatic orb's damage would fall off at later levels.
A dexterity EK in particular could just use a bow for much, much more damage. Heck, even firebolt would do more damage at level 17, doing 4d8 fire + war magic attack. Does just as much damage at level 18 though.

Protection from evil/good won't always apply, but it's a good recommendation since it's kinda viable at all levels. However, it does use concentration which might be preferred for haste or something.

EK can swap out spells they know, though, so you can start with chromatic orb (which isn't a bad choice for the lower levels) and if at any point you feel spells are becoming redundant you can swap them out. Chromatic orb for example becomes a little redundant at level 5, and definitely redundant at level 11, even moreso if you have a lot more dex than int.
>>
So a 1st level bard has 2 cantrips + 4 spells? for a total of 6 spells?

or is it 2 cantrips + 2 spells for a total of 4 spells? the 2nd one right?
>>
>>49531376
cantrips are separate from spell slots

you pick your cantrips and you're stuck with them, where as some classes allow changing spells on short or long rests or at level ups
>>
>>49531336
Don't forget evasion and uncanny dodge.

That's the real sweet stuff.

>resistance to (almost) all damage
>reaction to reduce an attacks damage - which is already halved - by half.
>you have advantage on dex saves you can see. If you make the dex save, you negate the damage entirely.

Not to mention you can wear a shield.

Though
>some people don't like that
It's mostly just me ranting on about it rather than 'some people'.
>>
So i am letting my players change their race/class features using the dungeon master guide monster creation or other stuff, this is the first one:

An human fighter with a draconic bond
He loses: Second Wind, Only +2 to attributes
He wins: Dragon Breath(as dragon born),Dragon Form(lvl 2,Dragon Claws 1d4,lvl 6 fly up to movement speed, lvl 8 dragon claws 1d6) this form last 1 minute and it needs a long rest to use it again

does it looks balanced?
>>
>>49526133
I meant the list, I have the books
>>
>>49531442
>loses only +2 to attributes
What?

To be honest, it's underpowered as heck. Dragon breath will only do more damage than their multi-attack later on if they expect to miss their attacks (disadvantage, for example) or they can hit a lot of enemies in their AoE, so it's sort of balanced probably, especially considering second wind provides quite a decent level of healing every short rest.

Flying can be quite nice, but limiting it to oncea minute every long rest isn't so great. It'd get some use, still. More than the claws.
1d4/1d6 natural weapons will do barely anything at all for him. Useless, except if he's caught weaponless.
>>
>>49531348
If we're being honest, there's a good chance that most games will end by level 11. I do agree that for min-max purposes he should swap out Chromatic Orb for another 1st level spell at/above level 11, but because EKs are limited to only Abjuration and Evocation spells there's not a lot of stuff for them to pick from.
>>
File: Half Elf Bard 2.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Half Elf Bard 2.pdf
1B, 486x500px
First 5e character

Half Elf Bard
means I get 7 total skills, 3 extra languages, 4 spells, 2 cantrips

and I think I did everything right? Might play tomorrow.

Never played 5e

probably going to multi-class wizard at some point

Think my goal for this character is to seek out knowledge, acquire knowledge and trade and such, so a fucking nerd.
>>
>>49531488
True. I'll admit, chromatic orb isn't bad in the slim chance an enemy has a vulnerability to an element and you can then provide it.

It still runs off of intellect though, and EKs should probably focus on dexterity (or strength if you're a madman) first.
>>
>>49531501
If you want to be the "nerd" of the group, stick with Bard and just have a decent Intelligence modifier. Bards arguably know more shit than a Wizard or Cleric thanks to Jack of All Trades, and thanks to their spell plucking they get to be very customizable with their spell list, especially if they go Lore Bard and just start stealing the good spells from the other classes when they can.

Hell, one could argue that Lore Bard is one of the strongest casters in the game.
>>
>>49531528
>Hell, one could argue that Lore Bard is one of the strongest casters in the game.

Lore Bard IS one of the strongest casters in the game, and is without a doubt one of the most versatile classes in the game, if not THE most versatile class in the game.
>>
>>49531501
Not putting at least a 12 in con is gimping yourself on purpose, because you really don't need 12 in strength.
You can choose to have at least +1 on con, because you know everyone else is going to make it their 2nd best / 3rd best stat. Normally. Unless you're an experienced player playing with newbies and you want to play a character that doesn't feel overpowered when you play it up. I did that once, at least.

You really don't need to multiclass into wizard, as you have 'magic secrets' which let you take the wizard spells anyway. The only reason you'd delay yourself getting high level spells and going wizard would be for something like a level 2 'portent' feature or a level 1 spell like 'shield', which you could grab with magic secrets anyway.

So, as other anon said, I'd recommend against going wizard and focus on being a lore bard.

Just be aware - Strength is going to be mostly useless for you and intellect is going to be mostly only good for skill checks, and not much else ever. Of course, you need 13 int to multiclass into wizard, if you were really that insane.
>>
>>49531267
Dude, the classes are a framework for storytelling, not shackles. Mechanically and story wise. If the fucking Kyrnnian Kilted Yaksmen are all known for being mobile artillery, if you want them to actually be effective in doing so when the rubber hits the road, I'm sure as fuck making them Sorclocks on either side of the screen.

And who are you to fucking say what makes sense or not? It makes sense to the player and if it can be explained properly, either mechanically or narratively, then it makes sense.

Just be fucking honest with them and yourself and say "I don't want any min/maxing powergaming munchkins at my table" and don't be such a faggot about it.
>>
>>49531501
I'd personally dump strength to 8 (you're a spellcaster, so you should avoid melee and this most strength saves. You can also sub dex for a few things, like escaping grapples, if it becomes relevant.) As a Half-Elf, you can probably swing a 16 in both Dex and Cha, a 14 in Con, and a 12 in Wis. Feel free to swap Wis and Con if you want better perception (always the best skill in the game, bar none) and saves (Con saves will kill you, Wis saves will kill others and then you).

Go straight bard and use your class features to cherry-pick spells from other classes.
>>
>>49531550
>>49531528
So go con and give up dreams of wizard-multiclass, got it
>>
>>49531483
forgot to say he can use his claws as bonus action
>>
>>49531483
also humans normally have +1 to all attributes, now he only haves +1 to two attributes
>>
>>49531545
The biggest knock against Lore Bards is that you as the player have to be VERY specific with the spells you learn and the spells you steal to fit your campaign, because unlike the other limited spell list casters (Sorcerer, Ranger, Paladin, EKs, ATs) you are relying on your spells to carry you and the party through stuff both in and out of combat.

Personally I would make a Lore Bard be a secondary healer, buffer, and debuffer, stealing Counterspell and Chromatic Orb at level 6 (the first because you can fuck enemy spellcasters over real well, the second to give you a situationally good damage spell that keeps you out of combat). After that you're free to pick whatever.

Personally, I love the idea of a Lore Bard picking up Disintegrate because you can inflict Cutting Words to make them have a shitty save and then eat a face full of damage and basically force out a legendary resist if they have one. If not... Well, you basically got blue bolted.
>>
>>49531501
This:
>>49531575
And you can always use a finesse weapon if you want to go melee at some point.
>>
File: Half Elf Bard 2.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Half Elf Bard 2.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49531501
>>49531528
>>49531550
>>49531575

Being a bit tankier is nice I suppose

and thanks, I think that's mostly everything unless there's something really to buy for starting gear, seems I'd average 120+10gb from sage?
>>
>>49531583
There's nothing wrong with wanting to go multiclass Wizard for Divination school to pick up Portent. Lore Bard 18/Divination Wizard 2 is probably one of the most busted things you can do. Save up a couple of rolls with Portent, choose when to use them, and then make them even better or worse thanks to Cutting Words. You still get 9th level spells, it just cuts back on your utility and spell list progression for the Bard.

Do you have a character background/idea for why you'd want to multiclass into Wizard and not just stick with being a Bard?
>>
>GM gets bored before reaching 4th level
>Restarts the game
>Rinse and repeat
>"Why you pick always variant human?"
Well, gee, I dunno why? why would we pick the only option that lets us use feats in your games?
>>
Does multi-classing into wizard gives me more spells than straight up leveling as a bard?
>>
>>49531625
Most DM's don't realize that the variant human is to be allowed, not a RAW option. I prefer to give feats at 1st level or not allow it.
>>
>>49531618
AC should be 14: +3 from Dex being 16, and leather armor gives a +1.

HP should be 9: start at max hit die for a level 1 Bard (so 8), then the +1 modifier for having 12 Con.

Your pick of gear is fine, just double-check that Diplomat's Pack gives you a bedroll and supplies for the road. Most do, but I know some don't. Usually people just take an Explorer's Pack and then buy what few items you want to take along with it.

Also, be sure to pick out an instrument or two for yourself. The PHB should have some examples, and talk with your DM if you want something specific that isn't in the book.
>>
>>49531633
1 level in wizard gives you 6 wizard spells, so yes. Wizards get a ton of spells, it's sort of their thing. You can only prepare wizard level + Int at a time, though.
>>
So I'm going to start DM-ing soon, and I was wondering, is there a CR stat chart for enemies?

Something that shows the expected to hit, HP, saves etc of a certain CR?
>>
>>49531583
If you wanted to metagame hard 14 con and 12 int would be better, but honestly for a nerd character you'll probably feel better about yourself for 12 con and 14 int since it suits the character better.

>>49531584

>>49531599
Variant human would give +1 to two attributes. Honestly, for a fighter, that's not a big deal. A battlemaster/champion only needs (Strength or dex) + con, which is two stats.
Not to mention, fighters get so many ASIs that even if you reduce their starting stats a bit it's not a big deal in the long run if they get a solid ability in return for it.

Going non-variant human is kinda weird, especially for a fighter. ..But, eh, whatever he wants to do.

Alright, so extra damage as a bonus action... Fighters don't get a lot of use out of bonus actions unless they MI hex or need to second wind.

If they get additional damage bonuses to that bonus attack (Say, add strength or dexterity mod to damage), it's probably a liiiittle over powered, perhaps, depending on the situation and how often the party rests.

So, the '+1 to only two skills' isn't really much of a downside.
Not having second wind is a fair bit of a tradeoff. At level 8, it's 13.5 HP recovery every short rest.
Clawing as a bonus action is likely about 8.5 damage every round for 10 rounds... Eh.
You should give them resistance to their draconic element or something instead of extra bonus attacks and every short rest, but they clearly want an infrequent-but-powerful ability instead.
>>
>>49531639
He allowed it, but then got salty over us only picking variant human because we were never going to reach 4th level
>>
>>49531651
DMG pg. 274. Note that the final CR is the average of offensive and defensive, so some may have less health/AC but more damage/to-hit, less damage/to-hit but more health/AC, etc.
>>
>>49531625
>playing levels 1-3 over and over

Only now can we learn true suffering.
>>
I love spells and features that require enemies to do something, you know, because they're never going to do that something
>Use BB on emeny
>Use cunning action to withdraw
>It never moves, ever, even if it's a fucking dog with int 2, they all know what BB is

>Pick GFB
>Never get to use it because the moment I picked it all enemies are at least 10ft away of each other
>>
>>49531652
>>49531599
I mean, looking at it, he'd probably be better off picking berserker/battlerager (extra attacks as bonus actions) or eagle (gives flight) barbarian and fluffing rage as 'turning into a dragon'.

I think when you let people just make up abilities instead of just playing the classes that already have those abilities you can probably do whatever as long as it's not blatantly overpowered, because I expect you to accidentally make something abusable/OP, and then you'll probably either fix it or it won't get abused.
>>
>>49531564
>Just be fucking honest with them and yourself and say "I don't want any min/maxing powergaming munchkins at my table" and don't be such a faggot about it.

Was that not implied this whole time? Why you mad

Also if I'm the DM, I do decide what makes sense in my world. John the battlemaster soldier doesn't suddenly become a trained Wizard after killing an Ogre. You need training under an experienced Wizard to get a Wizard level, obviously unless you yourself are a Wizard. A player who wants to MC warlock would need a patron and to make a deal with said patron. A player who wants to MC into a Cleric would need to worship a god and train with Clerics of said god. All of that is well within my right as a DM.

If a player really wanted to do any of that, and had a non-munchkin reason to do it, I would let it happen and facilitate it in some way. Cleric in my current party wanted to MC Rogue, as he recently befriended a NPC master thief who he thought was cool.

>>49531674
thats shitty senpai, your DM is an ass. Only magic-experienced, sentient creatures should have even a clue what's happening when you BB their ass
>>
File: alucard6.jpg (679KB, 1439x1600px) Image search: [Google]
alucard6.jpg
679KB, 1439x1600px
I'm trying to stat out Alucard from SotN. Here's what I've got, and tell me what you think...
>Variant Human Warlock
>Noble Background
>Undying Patron
>Pact of the Chain Imp or Pixie Familiar
>Weapon Master Feat for Longsword, Rapier, Shortsword, and Scimitar
>Invocations Devils Sight, Sculptor of Flesh, and Whispers from the Grave
>Spells Gaseous Form, Spider Climb and, Vampiric Touch
>>
File: Aki Bard Test.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Aki Bard Test.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49531648
The sheet got screwed up, this one should be correct

>>49531650
So that would be a total of 10 spells? 4 bard, 6 wizard? Would make me a god of utility wouldn't it? I could continue on with bard from there
>>
>>49531674
Bring it up with your DM, because honestly that's a really shitty thing to do. Tell the DM that if they want things that can counter those spells, use anything that actually has a fucking brain, or have a justification for it all. Honestly, I can see a creature that isn't blinded by rage holding still because of rumours of the spell, seeing it used on a friend or simply there being a slight force against them before it explodes, but if it's an angry dog or angry barbarian then they WILL probably trigger it.
If your DM plays the game like an MMORPG with little to no roleplaying elements, then whatever. That's what you signed up for.
>>
>>49527132
Reader doesn't edit.
>>
>>49531691
>you let the cleric multiclass a level into rogue

I feel sorry for the poor sod. He probably has no fucking clue what he's doing with this multiclass.
>>
>>49531702
It's up to you. Wizard's main thing is that they can learn damn near every arcane spell in the book, but they have to prepare said spells after every long rest, so they can't just be like Batman and have a solution on hand for every situation in their tool belt of magical shit. They can have a lot of utility prepared, but can still wind up being caught with their pants down (for example, you expect to have a day of downtime in town so you prepare mostly social spells and only a couple offensive ones. Then the town gets attacked by a raiding band of orcs, all you're left with to help the party is a single cast of Chromatic Orb and Lightning Bolt and then it's nothing but Detect Magics and Knock, so you're forced to stay in back and sling out whatever shitty cantrip you have).

Bards give up that versatility for being able to cast those spells at whatever spell slot they want for the situation. In that same example from above, the Bard can spend all their spells casting nothing but Cure Wounds and Chromatic Orb and probably be more useful than the Wizard.

It all comes down to what you are expecting to do that day as a Wizard vs. the Bard's ability to just blow their spell slots on anything at any time.
>>
Is banning multiclassing a good idea?
There's this formerly PF guy in my group who gave me a multiclass concept that was level 20.

The rest of the guys at my table care less about class mechanics and such.
I'm worried if I allowed it he might become too overpowered.
>>
>>49531702
>>49531618

Any fan-made Character sheets that /5eg/ uses? Aside from the one in the pastebin, of course. Wanna see other options. I remember one that looked really good it had "1.4" in one of the headers I believe. I thought it was a good character sheet.
>>
what's the best way to bring up railroading issues with a DM
i'm autistic and uncomfortable with complaining
>>
So there were some people talking about gish classes earlier, figured I'd post this port of the Duskblade class from 3.5 from the last time I saw it posted.

I don't know how balanced it is, so read at your own risk.
>>
>>49531789

How is he railroading? Like if he's stunting your creativity and choices, instead of complaining, challenge him with a question "Why can't I do that?" because sometimes, a question like that stings the DM who railroads even if it's a little.

I used to railroad during my early days and when a player asked me that, it really turned me around for a while. Maybe try that.

If he responds with a non-answer then I believe this is where you try to prod him if you are feeling uncomfortable with complaining. Instead of going "DUDE SOTP THAT!" or the like, try to get around the issue indirectly. Like a little "Hey man, great game so far but I was hoping I could do a little more ya know? I'm a <class> and I wanted to do this. What was up with that? Not complaining though, your table and all." or some shit.
>>
>>49531777
Also he's been trying to port Path of War from PF.
>>
>>49527134
So how do you work out how much gold and how many magic items is appropriate to give a party at each level ?
>>
>>49531819
A few ways. The most recent one was he just spawned guards on top of me when I'm in an area where I can see them coming after deciding where my character was for me and had me auto-arrested. Given the shape change on my it didn't even make sense and I wasn't allowed to contest with rolls or roleplay what was happening. It just happened. Now I have to ask if one of my spells is nerfed into partial uselessness and ask him to do something to remedy the situation so my character doesn't just up and leave the group or go crazy.

We've also had instances of what I assume are homebrowed spells that we have no way of defending against (detect magic detected nada, so has arcane checks, and we've never had to roll for the spell being cast on us or had any descriptions saying we feel weird). This one seems to have confusingly massive range and duration, too. It just feels like I'm not allowed to control my character when he feels like it, and we're being put to his mercy when he doesn't want us to have options.

I'll try the prodding approach, I'm just worried he'll just tell me a flat no.
>>
>>49531777
>Is banning multiclassing a good idea?
Why is good? what's the reason on why you want to ban it? because a dude planed his character up to 20th level?
Multiclass, bar for a couple of options, isn't that strong, in fact it tends to be, in the majority of cases, worse. And even in those couple of cases is just good, not broken or OP, just good as a well done full class.

In 5e multiclassing comes with several disadvantages, one is losing ASIs and two is losing class progression in features.
>>
>>49531951
They do?
Oh. I think this guy might have thought it's straight up like PF. He's getting ASIs and armor/skill proficiency from all the classes he 'dips' in.
>>
>>49531927
You give what makes sense based on the unfolding story and the tone of the campaign of setting. Because 5e isn't dependent on magic items and all the progression math is baked into the classes, it's flexible enough to handle generous and frugal DMs alike.
>>
>>49531963
ASIs come from class, not character level.
At 4th level Rogue (p.e.) you get an ASI, not at 4th level character, if you multiclass before that you don't get ASI, and this happens with all classes, ASIs are now a CLASS feature not a Character level's feature.

My Pal2/Warlock6/Sorcerer6 only got 2 ASIs compared to the 4-5 other full classes got, that meant less feats and/or less +2 to Stats.
>>
>>49531963
>He's getting ASIs and armor/skill proficiency from all the classes he 'dips' in
Tell him to read the fucking manual, that's not how multiclass works now.
>>
>>49531989
Yeah i just read the actual multiclassing rules and I really hope he got it wrong not out of purpose.
>>
>>49531963
You can get proficiencies and ASIs from other classes, but the first ASI that any class gets is 4 levels in and proficiencies only give up to medium armor if you didn't get heavy at 1st level (save for edge-cases like clerics).

Honestly don't bother banning multiclassing, he won't end up any more spectacular than a single-class character (and likely will be less powerful overall, just with more varied abilities).
>>
>>49528412
I get the feeling they're holding off on that until the rest of that new big-buncha-content sourcebook is more developed.
>>
>>49531772
Wizards get (wizard level + int modifier) spells prepared, and 44 spells in their spellbook total, plus whatever spells they write down in their book.

A bard gets 22 spells known, or 24 spells known if they're a lore bard.

So, if the wizard has 20 int, the wizard will have more spells they can cast on top of the fact they don't have to have their rituals prepared to cast them as rituals.

Having to prepare spells thus isn't really a problem for a wizard. Of course, there are times they'll want a spell they don't have prepared like featherfall but they can at least then switch to that spell later, unlike the bard.

The bard's benefit over the wizard isn't spontaneous casting, but rather the fact they have armour, magical secrets and different spells, along with stuff like jack of all trades, cutting words and more skills.

So really, wizard will have as many things prepared as the bard, it's just the bard can potentially have spells the wizard could never even dream of getting.
>>
>>49529042
...but then you wouldn't be annoying ;)

It was posted a few weeks back, guess why I won't share.
>>
>>49531798
People don't seem to quite understand the 'spellcasting' feature.

The first thing I do when looking at a spellcaster, is I check the spell slot sequence to see what level it ends at.

And then I check whether their spellcasting feature is called 'spellcasting'.

And then I double-check to see if any of the levels provide spell slot combinations that do not appear on the spellcasting curve.

And... Alright. You CAN have the spell slot progression as shown.
However, it is NOT the spellcasting feature.
The spellcasting feature essentially has 20 levels. Each level has a specific spell slot layout. Some classes level up this chain slower than others - paladin only rank up their spellcasting every other level, whereas an eldritch knight levels it up at 3 (attainment level), 4, and then every 3 levels after this. And honestly, EK's spell progression is already slightly iffy since you can actually lose spellslots if you multiclass in a specific way at specific levels. Not that anyone ever does that.

The reason spellcasting is done as it is is so that you can multiclass without complications.

The spellcasting feature cannot provide 3 level 1 slots and 1 level 2 slot. It can only provide level 2 slots from the third rank of spellcasting onwards - a minimum of 4 level 1 slots and 2 level 2 slots.

A feature that provides spellcasting that isn't the spellcasting feature is 'pact magic'. It provides a different set-up of spell slots, because it is not called 'spellcasting'.
>>
What's the best way to build a crossbowman?
>>
I've just started as a Rogue for my first D&D campaign, ever. Am I better off with Skilled or Dual Wielder? Right now, I've got proficiencies in 10 skills, so for our campaign I should be a good underhanded sneaky bugger (although my stats, bar dexterity, are only just above average)
>>
Level 4 sorcerer here.

Want to Multi-class because sorcerer sucks, DM has okayed me to do whatever I want

Only thing I'd think would fit the character is Warlock or Bard. What do?

I kinda want to just kill the character off, as it's just such a bore to play. Played a Wizard in campaign awhile ago and it was just so much better.
>>
>>49532243
I really like the Fighter Battlemaster crossbowman build.
>>
>>49531798
Allow me to impart more autism on whoever made this:

At level 15, it allows you to recover up to 2 level 6 spell slots. EVERY SHORT REST.
This should ring BIG fucking alarm bells for anyone who knows how spell slots work on 5e.

It is an unspoken rule for whatever reason that you do NEVER allow a class, race, whatever feature, very often even magical items, to recover a spell slot of higher than level 5.
And honestly, you could probably get away with it since it's level 6 spells, not level 7/8/9.

But here, you're recovering level 6 spell slots on every single short rest. It doesn't even have a 'you cannot use this feature again until you take a long rest'.

I'd be worried about dual caster allowing you to basically use things like Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade at the same time, too. I know it's a level 20 feature, but that's no excuse for
>1d8+5 pierce + 3d8 thunder + 4d8 thunder (if enemy oves) + 1d8+5 pierce + 3d8 fire + (3d8+(spellcastmod) fire to a second enemy.)

But this isn't the problem.The 'master' bit is. It trumps war magic, it trumps quickened spellcasting...

The duskblade can cast bonus action spells all day long, because they can at-will put spells on top of their extra attack which is >gauranteed to hit<, and then they have quick cast for other times.

Being able to cast an unavoidable scorching ray/fireball that's entwined with extra attack / green flame blade / booming blade seems like a bad direction for the class.

>and they get shield
>>
Would be to broken to give the variant tiefling a prehensile tail that allows him to pick up small objects for a second time per turn instead of infernal legacy? you know, he draws a weapon for free as a part of an action and then he can interact with another small object with his tail. One of my players wants one like the PF tiefling
>>
>>49532310
2 levels in warlock gets you agonizing blast, which you can then use with quickened spell. That would be fun, if you didn't have such a limited number of sorcery points.
Going up warlock could be fun, though.

Bard would be better if you had all your levels in bard rather than multiclassed into it, so I wouldn't bother.

Warlock or suicide.
>>
>>49531798
duskblade was cool but this is just another busted homebrew frankly

people need to compare their homebrew shit with existing classes and balance norms across the board.

>>49532359
I should have mentioned that I really don't give much of a shit about combat multiclassing potential

the reason why I'm so fucking bored of sorc is that I just have such little utility/versatility. I have fucking five spells to my name and the only time I can swap one (1) out is when I level.

I don't get anything back on a short rest, but everyone else in the party does. I burn out extremely fast compared to everyone else, and then all I can do is cast firebolt.

No rituals so I can't support the party with Identify or detect magic, and even if I had fucking rituals I have fucking five spells to my name and would have to cram that shit in there somehow.

Such a shit class man, oh boy I can do some cheesy twin spell or quicken bullshit like once or twice a day! Besides for that I'm a worse Wizard in every way possible.

Really just considering killing myself off in a subtle way. My DM would probably just let me totally re-roll if I wanted to but I don't wanna come off as a total whiny lil bitch, which I pretty much do but hey, my bitching is valid
>>
>>49532351
It would be significantly weaker than any other choice
>>
>>49532310
Warlock.

What kind of sorc are you?
>>
>>49532275
>proficiencies in 10 skills
Jesus fuck. Are you including tool proficiencies? I hope you are, because otherwise something's gone wrong.

You don't need more proficiencies.

Dual wielder isn't a bad choice.
Resilient (constitution), mobility, alert (for assassin), dungeon delver or lucky could all also work. Heck, even healer or tough. Martial adept for sneak attacking when it's not your turn (riposte), savage attacker (if you're rapier+GFB/BB)... Maybe even skulker.

Those are all pretty viable options, I'd say. You have enough skills unless you want to be a super skill monkey.

I'd say the strongest feat options are dual wielder, resilient(Con), mobility or lucky.

Dual wielder gives you essentially +1 to every attack as well as an extra +1 if you crit (1d8 weapons instead of 1d6), +1 to AC and.. normally you shouldn't have problems drawing two weapons, but whatever.
It's not really a massive boost, but it's probably better than yet even more skills.

Lucky is always good and I've glad I've only ever seen it once.

Mobility gives you great kiting potential if you're not a swashbuckler.

Resilient(con) is survivability.
>>
>>49532406
mmm, any advice to improve it without making it broken?
>>
>>49532243
Fighter 5 (champion)
Rogue 17 (assassin)
Take GWF and Sharpshooter.
Take the 'archery' fighting style to give you +2 to hit.

Don't even bother buying ammo. Ammo is for chumps.

Use GWF and Sharpshooter at the same time for -10 to hit and +20 damage and sneak attack the enemy in the face with your crossbow hoping you roll a critical. Do your best to get advantage on the roll for two chances to crit.

If you roll 18 or lower, you'll miss anything that actually has armour like a fucking idiot.
If you roll 19 or higher, regardless of if your strength is 1 or 24, you'll deal 2d4+20 + [STR MOD] + 16d6 damage because fuck you I'm a crossbowman.

Ask your DM for a +3 crossbow so you get +3 to damage, too.

If you ever catch enemies off-guard, assassinate them for [2d4+20 + [STR MOD] + 16d6 damage]x2 damage on hit to their face.
>>
>>49532447
Just let him use it like a hand who cares
>>
>>49532455
>>49532243
Whoops, fighter 5 / rogue 15
Changed it from fighter 3 because you want that extra attack on rogue.
>>
>>49532447
Giving them an additional object interaction and limb to hold things in is a much better version of thief rogue's 'You can take a second object interaction as a bonus action', but that was a pretty weak feature anyway. Thief rogue is all about the double-turn you get later on.

Honestly though, you could probably let them just use it anyway. However, they'll have disadvantage to any interaction they make with it, and attempting to do anything that requires instant reactions (Attacking, swiping something away) cannot have proficiency modifier added.
Something like that.

It wouldn't really be gamebreaking unless they find some way to abuse it.
>>
Question for DMs: Would you let a player be a Myconid Druid? Or do you see that as too "special snowflake"? Personally I'd try it only for the challenge of role play
>>
>>49532484
Sounds pretty neat. It's not the bad sort of special snowflake - it's the creative sort. The bad sort would be 'I want to be a DRAGON WARRIOR DRUID!'

Do your best to accomodate that player.
>>
>>49532492
Actually, I'm the player in this situation and was curious to see people's opinions on the subject.
I realize that coming up with a background that'd fit would be another part of the challenge. They'd have no name since they don't exactly talk, so I'd probably expect to simply be called by my race or class
>>
>>49532534
Your main concern really should be finding a way to tie in with the party. Probably work with the DM. Maybe you're referred to the party as a sort of guide through a certain part of the woods and you stick with the party after that.

If you just show up out of the blue with a non-standard character that can't even speak things could get awkward.

Otherwise, it could be very interesting.
>>
>>49532543
Shit, that could even tie in with a fresh campaign through some forest, and They simply tag along with the party after any dealings in the forest are complete
>>
>It took your old group 21 sessions to end LMoP and all because the Gm is an asshole about everything
Thank god I left at 10th session, I don't even know how I lasted that long.
>>
>>49532725
I'm dming an LMoP game and it's going to take about that long because it takes the players about an hour to get through a single room.
>>
>>49532795

What's stopping you in keeping the pace going? I know DMs have to respect player agency but c'mon. Throw something that'll flush 'em out.

My table had the same "1 hour in a room" and I remedied that when they were in Redbrand Hideout taking their frikkin damn time. I kept rolling for Redbrands coming in and after that, they just kept going cause they were afraid of new enemies fucking their shit up.
>>
Going to be playing a ranger using the new rules, he's a deep stalker. Starting at level 4.

18 dex at level 1,

Should I take Archery as my fighting style then take Sharpshooter at level 4,

Or should I take the close quarters shooter fighting style (no disadvantage at 5ft, ignore all but full cover vs enemies within 30ft, +1 to hit) and bump my dex to 20 at level 4?

With the first option, since new ranger gets advantage on baddies who haven't acted, i can take -5 for +10s and pretty reliably land it, plus id always ignore all but full cover and could shootup to 600ft

Second option fits a bit better thematically and makes me a bit more well-rounded, cuz the benefits of 20 dex (ac initiative stealth damage)

So what yall think
>>
>>49526243
It's large in size category, I don't see why not? If your DM would allow it.
>>
>>49532821
They take a lot of time rping with each other, looking at maps, speculating on layouts, interacting and inspecting opjects and opening.

I guess I could just start throwing enemies at them if they take too long.
>>
>>49532824
thanks for the response anon. my main doubt was because it's a monstrosity. Also if it's "realistic" to be able to control a creature like that as a mount.
>>
>>49532823
Just take archery and close quarters. you can take sharpshooter next time, and close quarters is probably going to be a lot more useful.

You're probably not going to be shooting at people 600ft away a lot because that would get boring for the other melee players who get to do nothing for 15 turns.
>>
>>49532823
Archery and sharpshooter if your party has any decently tough characters (barbarians, fighters, paladins).

Close quarters shooter and dexterity/sharpshooter otherwise, since you'll have to be taking damage yourself which often means having enemies in front of you.

>>49532821
>>49532795
Have a sand timer on the table for 'time until next encounter roll.'

>>49532388
Yeah. Best choice is to do something really stupid or if your character doesn't really have a lot of motivations or tie-ins with the party you could say you also want a character that fits in better and go make such a thing.

You're not going to get what you want by multiclassing. Okay, you could, but it's suboptimal.
>>
>>49532860
It's all up to what a dm would allow, I personally wouldn't allow a monstrosity to be used as a mount unless you raised it from birth.
>>
>>49532824
>if it's a size larger, I don't see why not

The problem is that line of thought leads to 'The gnome paladin is using the barbarian as a mount.'
>>
>>49532871
>Just take archery and close quarters

Cant senpai

>>49532878
Party is threefrontliners and me and a druid inna back.

Archery - sharpshooter is prob the best I guess. Hit twenny dex at level 8 then
>>
>>49532894
What's wrong with smaller characters riding medium ones? My players do this and I want to know if I should stop them.
>>
>>49532911
You could take archery and close quarters if you dipped a level into fighter or two into paladin.

+3 to ranged attacks and no disadvantage at point blank is pretty good stuff.
>>
File: Mount.png (89KB, 278x125px) Image search: [Google]
Mount.png
89KB, 278x125px
>>49532894
i think the anon was simply referring to the rules regarding a mount. I would definitely allow a barbarian to carry a gnome paladin as long as it doesn't go beyond his strength capacity and the barbarian might have disadvantage to attack rolls if he tries to while mounted

Pic related
>>
>>49532841

I guess that's cool in a way but remember that as referee, you also gotta get a balance in the pace. You don't have to be in-your-face about it anyhow. Like what I did, I felt that they were taking too long but I didn't put my foot down in front of them and said "GUYS, CLOCK IS TICKING!" I threw in a very rational encounter that made sense in the logic of the adventure which got them to push forward. Also, they get to do combat as well if they like that and add a tense atmosphere. Everyone wins (unless for some reason they apply their sluggish pace to the combat then god help you.)
>>
How is combat in this edition?
>>
>>49532918
>>49532930
>gnome barbarian mounting the party wizard, mounted combatant feat
>the wizard is granted evasion, so dex saves aren't really as much of an issue, barbarian has advantage on dex saves for himself
>enemies cannot target the wizard, as the barbarian forces all attacks to target them instead
Bonus points if it's barbarianrogue that then uncanny dodges any attacks they redirect at themself.
>gnome barbarian has advantage on all attacks against small or smaller creatures
>they can use a lance and shield

Honestly, that's not 'too' unbalanced, but having an ability that basically says 'You cannot attack the wizard, because there is a gnome on top of him' is kind of stupid.

Mounted combat gives many examples of mounts that aren't humans, because generally they assume that if a player says 'I want to use the fighter as a mount' that... It's just not done.

In reality, you cannot mount a person and still have both you and your mounted person work at full capacity. There aren't specific rules because the game assumes you're mounting sensibly mountable things.

The paladin-barbarian combo is particularly dangerous as the paladin has auras, and there aren't any rules exactly for knocking someone off a horse, aside from 'shove'. Barbarians have advantage against the shove action while raging.

Sure, mount a druid that turned themself into a horse. But if you want to do a serious campaign, you should impose various disadvantages for being mounted and mounting.
>>
Paladin blade lock.

3 paladin, 17 warlock.

This seems pretty good, and flavorful as fuck.
>>
>>49532998
>>49532918
So, I'd say, it's not exactly overpowered unless they're clearly trying to abuse it.
It's just not really supposed to happen. I'd take RAI to assume that gnomes can't use players as mounts without some sort of penalty. Mounts act indepdently if they're intelligent, which means the gnome could mount up on a human, the human moves a certain distance and then they can dismount and the gnome can still move again.

>>49532998
>>49532930
Though, as you've said, 'disadvantage on attack rolls' might be just enough to convince them not to mount up.

Still, a wizard or someone who makes save DC attacks won't lose a lot from that. On the other hand, 'mounted combatant' mostly gives benefits to the mounted player rather than anything.
>>
>>49532414
I'm not sure R.E. the tools; the DM was trying to guide us all through our setups with only one handbook and one pdf, so perhaps we missed something. I've only played two other systems in the past so I'm massively unfamiliar with D&D's wordings and such, so perhaps I have messed up somewhere.

Before playing I checked with the DM as to the nature of the campaign, as I've had experiences of taking a skill-based thief in the past and just never being useful; apparently there will be call for infiltration and stealth, along with trap disarming and such.
My reasoning for thinking Dual Wielding over Skilled is just to get a little extra power in combat.
>>
>>49533028
You can never go wrong with lucky whether it's for skills or fighting or whatever. Feels kinda cheesy though. Dual wielder is just a small damage boost and a small AC boost - but getting +2 dexterity is probably better when you can. +2 dexterity would give you +1 AC, +1 to hit, +1 to damage, +1 to dex saves, +1 to initiative, +1 to dex skills.
>>
>>49533028
>>49533049
Oh, but, if there are certain skills you're thinking of taking with skilled, you can run them by me and I can tell you how likely they are to show up.

You should have 4 (rogue) skills + 2 (background) skills + 0/1/2 (race) skills + thieves' tools proficiency + 2 tool/language proficiencies from background.
>>
>>49532823
I'd say first. Sharpshooter is mondo badass, I've played a ranger for a long time in the game I'm in, long range shooting is super, super handy. And I played 18 dex up until lvl 8 and still did more damage than our Barbarian.

What's your WIS? My ranger had the Alert Feat and took Observant at 4th. I played a half-elf, so I was always, 24/7 alert to danger. With a passive perception of 21 was pretty difficult to hide from.
>>
New DM here, I need to think of a small adventure (levels 6-9 or something like that). Should I try to make my own adventure, or should I try to find an existing one and tweak it to my liking?
Also, when making your own adventure, where do you start? The NPCs & their backgrounds? the quests? the core encounters?
>>
One of my player's characters died and he really wants to resurrect them, but have them come back as a more bitter, ruthless, and nihilistic person from his experience with death and the beyond.

I agreed, but I really like this as a kind of thing that could happen when you resurrect someone, maybe some hidden roll with a DC that increases every time they're resurrected, with a higher chance of their soul becoming tainted from their soul dying and being brought back so many times.

It would certainly explain why generals and kings and those with power still fear death, resurrection would be an option, but at great risk to their soul as repeated deaths and resurrections fragment and twist their spirit.
>>
>>49533069
When I started, I started with the world map.

Each region develops a personality, which is reflected by the rulers and such of the places. Then, there're smaller villages and such.
Then applying plotlines, encounter tables, NPCs they may meet, maybe a dungeon... Then, build the world around the players as they move, building just ahead of the players and around them.

Being a new DM, the safestoption is to tweak an adventure.

>>49533082
Without true ressurection, a level 9 spell, a king may still fear death as if their body is completely fucked up they won't be so easily revived. So if they're captured, their enemies could easily make them extremely hard to revive.
Not to mention, a level 9 spell can probably prevent true ressurection from bringing them back and getting rid of them for good, or society might heavily frown down upon ressurection.

I think a table of after-ressurection effects is a good idea, though. As long as players are willing to put up with possible character developments.

However, by standard, the spirit only floats away and is then dragged back. Unless they ended up in the abyss or something being sent wayward, I don't see why they should be too disgruntled.
>>
Whats the best option for Bard Magical Secrets L10? Telekinesis or Bigby's hand? (they both benefit from JoaT)
>>
>>49531625
>all games start at 1st level
>"anon why aren't you writing at least five pages of backstory for your 1st level char?"
Well, gee, I dunno, probably because I have a 50/50 chance of not seeing 2bd level with it
>>
>>49533184

Bigby's hand does more things, for a shorter burst.

Telekinesis has a better range, but it wont scale

If your mission goes past level 14, or your tank is shit, Bigby's. If not, teke
>>
>>49533055
Thanks. I'm running Human, and opted for 2x+1 stats and +2 Skill Profs. I'm re-writing my character sheet now so I'll post it when I'm done.
>>
>>49533234
If you're going variant human, you only get one extra skill proficiency from race.

Half-elves are the ones that get 2 skill proficiencies.
>>
You get a free feat every time you take the ASI feature provided by a martial class progression.

There, I fixed martials.
>>
>>49533245
So you do. My mistake!
Looking at it, Lucky does seem pretty good compared to Dual Wield; I think I might actually go for that. I've always had notoriously poor rolls in RPGs, especially single-dice rolls, so having the option to roll more dice for a single check would be nice.
>>
>>49533082
Rather than just making a roll, you could roleplay the experience that the dead person has in the Outer Planes and the trauma of being suddenly grabbed BY THE SOUL and dragged back into the Prime Material.

The dead person only comes back if his soul is free and willing to return, so a soul that's enjoying the afterlife too much, or one that is imprisoned by devils or affected by the apathy of the Gray Waste or something, would not come back.
>>
>>49533234
I can't seem to upload the pdf. Odd.
>>
>>49530384
I would remove feats before I removed multiclassing, but I also treat levels episodically.
>>
>>49527984
Personally, if your arguments were fun or really well thought out, I would've made the goblin agree to the terms without a roll.
>>
>>49528479

Honestly, most of the homebrew I find doesn't tackle the invisible hand or soul knife, and telekinetic is mostly what I'd like to play.
>>
>>49528964

Because classes get a big bump in capability in 5th level. Martial classes get their extra attack, full casters get 3rd level spells, Bards get their inspiration back on short rests instead of long, Rogues get Uncanny Dodge, etc.

Basically, multiclassing before you hit level 5 puts you at a bit of a disadvantage mechanically compared to the rest of the party, particularly for casters.

>>49527882
Wait until level 6 to start going Warlock if you can. You really don't want to delay your 3rd level spells.
>>
Experience with alternating GMs? We're gonna base the campaign off SKT. Does it have to be episodic? Should the people alternating as GM share a single PC or is it feasible with one each?
>>
>>49526637
Don't make the dungeons unique make what they are doing there unique. It could be Dungeons #317 Enemies #13 but if the dungeon has personal goals of the PCs, their roleplay will make it THAT dungeons not just one of them.
>>
>>49528160
The easy answer is drunk, the hard answer is he doesn't try to solve problems other than getting angry, cause that's how he was taught growing up.
>>
>>49534512
>Bards get their inspiration back on short rests instead of long
That isn't exactly a big bump, In my experience players tend to forget about or don't use their inspiration die unless I constantly remind them.
>>
>>49528284
Sentinel for extended battlefield control, Dex based Battlemaster with Commanding Strike, trip attack, and one other one. It's meh, but you have a whip.
>>
I think I've finally come to terms with how dumb and money hungry my players are.

They own their own ship, and had it parked in Luskan for about three weeks. They returned to find a load of cargo on their ship, and a summons from one of the High Captains.

Long story short, the High Captain has heard of their exploits as mercenaries, and is offering them 1000 gold (in the form of 2 treasure chests) to deliver the cargo (which is already loaded on their ship), and a sealed letter.

This is a sham and a suicide mission; the barrels are going to explode once triggered by whomever reads the letter, and is meant to be a declaration of war between Luskan and another unnamed city.

My players questioned none of it. The High Captain opened the chest to reveal gold, and closed it (but the gold is actually and illusion with a bunch of lead weights inside). None of the players looked into it / inspected it, just jumped at the chance for more gold.

The barrels had a tarp over them, and the players just went with it, not even touching or looking at any of the barrels.

How easy is this going to be?
>>
>>49528319
Getting a feat now means you won't have 20 Cha until level 12. Most campaigns I've been in end before that.
>>
>>49528368
Teach your party a lesson to not fuck with whatever they come across. Keep the current stats and kill one for it.

If they have to kill it, give it a weakness they have to find out, say something of how a Planetar's life is tied to this plane by an artifact. This artifact needs skill checks to find.
>>
>>49534472
I have one on reddit that I use. Can't find the thread anymore, but here's the PDF.
>>
>>49534754
Love it. Let them die horribly.
>>
>>49534512

Save for a few exceptions, like Arcane Trickster 3/ Wizard 2, or your personal take on the SorLock combo, or any class with a quick L1 dip in the new Ranger.
>>
>>49534822
I feel kinda bad. The DC was pretty low to see through the gold as an illusion, but no one even bothered; they salivated.

Should I have given one of them a passive check or something?

I'll give them other opportunities I guess. They plan on making a pit stop at another port before reaching their destination. Also, I'm a bit of a quantum planner, so does anyone have any suggestions for what could be in the barrels or how the letter + barrels trap / weapon should or could work?
>>
>>49531618

If you take gold instead of starting equipment, you don't get the equipment/gold from your background.
>>
>>49534863
Dude, no.
I know one has a DM can have this father-like attitude towards his players, but when they do stupid shit, they deal with the consequences. You're supposed to make them have fun but if they do stupid shit they're ruining their own fun. It's their fault, not yours. You have to have fun too, you need to enjoy this.

So blam those fuckers to smitheerens, they fucked up. Make it spectacular, so they never forget. If they stop playing or get mad at you, they never were good players to begin with.
>>
>>49532464

Except an extra attack is useless on a crossbow unless you take the Crossbow Expert feat.

Loading property is a bitch.
>>
>>49534734

Oh, but it is. Not my fault your players forget to use it.
>>
>>49530003
No but if you don't have an imposing odor by day two of not bathing then your DM is doing something wrong.
>>
File: Feelsgoodman.jpg (59KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Feelsgoodman.jpg
59KB, 1920x1080px
>Playing tempest cleric
>DM gives us better weapons and armor
>Got a war hammer that deals 1d10 in dmg as one handed and 1d12 as two handed.
>Had booming blade cantrip since earlier.
>Gets to level 8.
>Every booming blade deals 1d10 + 2d8 dmg and pushes the target back 10 feet. And deal an additional 2d8 if they move until the start of my next turn.
>Can still use shields so with the better armor and magical items I got and shield of faith I have 23 AC
>Has great CON and had great HP rolls so I got 79 HP.

Is my DM to nice to us or is this just a case of me getting really good rolls? I kinda feel bad having my character be this powerful.
>>
>>49534754
Sometimes players trust their DM and it isn't about greed. I mean it's dumb of them, but I hope you've trained them with trapped things before.
>>
>>49535264
>>49535264
>>49535264
new
>>
What are your favorite gods? Why shuld I use them in my setting?
>>
>>49535203
>monks are fine they said, they're good martials they said
>btfo by a healer full caster in every field ever
Not this again
>>
File: Angelic Racial Traits.png (71KB, 930x951px) Image search: [Google]
Angelic Racial Traits.png
71KB, 930x951px
>Final boss encounter
>At the top of a tower in a castle, fighting an evil Mage and his pet, a chicken riding a pig (that people who failed a Wisdom check would assume was a dog). No, we didn't get it either.
>This is a large, ornate dining room-type area, with a balcony that looks over the city; I'm a Paladin standing near the doorway, the mage is midway into the room, and the ChickenPigDog is standing at the far end of the room, on the balcony
>In a mighty show of bravery, the Assassin beheads the Mage a split second after he fires Power Word: Kill, which slays him instantly
>Immediately, a dark presence exits the body of the mage, swirls around the room and yells whilst entering the body of the ChickenPigDog, which re-enters the room, swelling into a demonic cassowary riding a monstrous boar
>"FOOLS! THAT SLIMY BASTARD MAY HAVE TRAPPED ME FOR CENTURIES, USING ME FOR MY SORCEROUS POWER, BUT IT WILL NOT SAVE YOU AND YOUR PITIFUL CIVILIAN FOLK FROM MY DEMONIC WRATH!"

>Ask the DM if this being a demon means it counts as a fiend
>He says yes.

>The very first time I cast Turn The Unholy in the entire campaign, it causes a giant demonic CassowaryBoarWarg fiend to run directly off the balcony at a top of a tower and fall to its mortal death.
>Its spirit rises up past the tower afterwards, yelling "FUCK THIS REEEEEAAAAAAALM...!"

>Since this took about 40 seconds, I cast Revivify on the Assassin for good measure.

Picture unrelated.
>>
>>49535481
Cool story bro, but you should know that, technically, a turned creature doesn't have to put itself into harm's way. It can get as far away as possible, then stop and take the Dodge action repeatedly. So don't expect to cause many demons to imitate a lemming in the future.
>>
File: Cutebold - Pensive.gif (2KB, 259x347px) Image search: [Google]
Cutebold - Pensive.gif
2KB, 259x347px
>>49535532
Yeah, I figured that there'd be something mechanically wrong with it. But our DM has a tendency to yield to things that are outright funny, especially when he's too distracted to think of the limitations at the time.

Though, to be fair, he knows the rules better than I do, so I'm only a bit of a manipulative bastard.

...and possibly the fact that the spirit was floating away afterwards meant that it didn't give a crap about the body? Hell, maybe my DM has more cogs whirring than I thought.
>>
>>49535582
That's a fair point too, I suppose. It might make a comeback.

In a room with fewer windows.
>>
>>49534589
No, and take one each for sure
>>
>>49534863
Have them survive but wash up on the isle of dread
>>
What happened to the zip of the LMoP maps that was in the Mega? Also does anyone have the high res player version of the Redbrand Hideout - the one I have from there is the low res one.
>>
>>49532275

Skilled is over kill and you can find better things to do than dual wielding.
>>
>>49534754

I'd let them live through it if they don't detect it. Revenge is an excellent plot hook.
Thread posts: 337
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.