[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 334
Thread images: 31

File: iu[2].jpg (68KB, 800x530px) Image search: [Google]
iu[2].jpg
68KB, 800x530px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Last Session:
>>49526028
>>
Where's my fucking topic, OP?
>>
Why is >>49535274 such a bitch?
>>
When a target is grappled by a creature such as a constrictor snake or giant octopus, at the beginning of the creature's turn, does the creature still have to roll for attack?
>>
File: 1471740510107.jpg (136KB, 900x1268px)
1471740510107.jpg
136KB, 900x1268px
What are your favorite gods?

Should I use them in my setting?

Are gods interesting to players?

Should I make my own gods (the world it self is homemade)
>>
Thinking on giving the casters who pick magic adept the 1st level as spell known instead of 1 time per long rest only feature. Will I destroy any resemblance of balance with this?
>>
>>49535274
How have you honored your patron in your last session.

Alternatively, if you don't play the best, most fun class in the game , why are you such a loser?
>>
>>49535299
RAW yes.

I personally had this situation last night with a Black ooze though, and I just had the ooze automatically hit once it had a player grappled, though.
>>
File: Rala level 3.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Rala level 3.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Back after a long hiatus, new to 5e, have I done this right? Just levelled, used orcpub as I'm gash at math, but it had no faciliity for AT???
>>
>>49535323
I don't mind them for fluff, like helping a certain temple group that seems alright or as a knowledge point to determine a groups motives because you learn who their god is.

If you want players to have gods I'd let them pick from the lists and just use that as a base point to work off of. You could make your own and have custom religion stuff in the game. Lots of the gods listed are based off real deities from history anyways.
>>
>>49535341
That would seem like the logical thing to do, right? How can a creature already wrapped around its target miss it, unless you fluff it like 'the targets armor takes the blunt of the attack' or something. But I think I'll take the middle road and just give it advantage on targets already grappled.
>>
>>49535370
Still deciding on spells etc.
>>
>>49535332
I believe if you pick the feat from your class it does that. If not then it wouldn't break anythibg
>>
>>49535386
A bear mauling a guy in heavy armour might not be able to breech its armour, despite having it tackled and grappled on the ground. Having an advantage makes sense more than an automatic hit since the person is struggling.

Some attacks might be confusing mechanically like if the creature can spit acid at a restrained target, but sometimes things are just weird like that. There's massive enemies whose attacks should be AOE's or have the potential to be, but can only hit a single target.
>>
>>49534754
>>49534863
This is me from last thread.

Any suggestions for how to blow my players up?

>>49535438
In that case, sure. But some creatures it just makes sense for an automatic hit, no? (Ooze, Cube, Octopus, Snake, Crab, etc. )
>>
>>49535323
I love having multitudes of various Gods, all of them different, all of them with differing stories of how the world works, etc. Then again, I love deep-lore worlds, anyway.

There's 63 Gods in my current homebrew, and that's just in the area where the party is. There's a few transplants from other areas of the world, but most of those are from the main area over the past several centuries.
>>
>>49535469
In some cases it can make sense, sure. You could still argue other players attacking the creature doing the grappling is throwing its attacks off or other circumstantial things. For an ooze type creature, maybe not. It's really up to you.
>>
>>49535469
Have the chest blow a huge hole in the ship and get them shipwrecked and have to find a way back home. The small island they find themselves on will be the key.
>>
>>49535264
Does anybody have the pdf that lists all character creation options (including UA and Planeshift)?
Asked last thread but got misinterpreted - I have the books and stuff downloaded I just want the list of options for quick reference
>>
>>49535386
>>49535438
These
If you're super bothered you could bring back flat-footed AC
>>
What are your guys favorite race/class combo?
Dragonborne barbarian is my personal favorite.
>>
>>49535601

I've grown to love Halfling Ranger (UA)
>>
>>49535601
Elf Fighter.
>>
>>49535601
Human Fighter (Male)
>>
>>49535644
How is the new UA for rangers? It looks pretty solid to me, but I'm not the best at this sort of thing.
>>
>>49535601
I'm still new to DnD so I haven't found a favorite class yet, but I'm finding that I really like dragonborn as a race, cause lizardfolk are always awesome
>>
How do you determine if an animal is actually a druid? Can you only kill them out of the form or wait for the duration to end?
>>
Any idea for my new campaign?

I will post results this sunday
>>
>>49535736

I'd rule a Nature check will make one realize there's something odd about this bear. Or have Detect Magic detect an aura around the crow watching our camp.
>>
>>49535768
But if your players come across a wolf in the woods, and you give them a nature check, they'll automatically know something is up and treat the situation differently regardless of pass / fail.
>>
>>49535736
There are certain spells that show a shapeshifter's true form. Moonbeam is the one I can recall off hand.

A detect magic will reveal transmutation magic I believe. I've also let spells that target beasts not work like charm animals, but that was a DM call.
>>
>>49535805
No you wouldn't, it's Wolf Lore
Seriously though if you actually think a nature check on a wild animal will "tip off" your players you're probably a crappy DM
>>
>>49535805
well you don't have to actually give them the check yourself. As far as they know it's just an animal unless they're paranoid enough to check themselves, or until they slay the thing and it turns into a full grown man.
>>
>>49535768
If they can sense it by detect magic, wouldn't that sort of ruin wildshape for druids? It would mean a level 20 druid could just have dispel magic cast on them to knock them out of their forms. In the book it says they need to drop to 0 health or be unconscious.

>>49535821
I thought wildshape weren't considered shape changers. There's no spell cards for druid shape changing that solidify it as generic magic that I've been able to find. Stuff I've found said Moonbeam doesn't affect druids, but "other" shape changers like polymorph or something.
>>
>>49535805

Well as a DM, I wouldn't do that. I let the players decide whether they do a check or not. I do give them a bone here and there but to tip off something like potentially spoiling a druid appearance or maybe a trap? That's not my thing.

Cause if they get tipped off about the wolf being a druid, it's because the player got tipped off, not the character and that's lame.
>>
>>49535863

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/732796508781809664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Wild Shape is magical so Detect Magic will detect it but it's Supernatural so it won't succumb to the effect of Dispel Magic.
>>
>>49535903
>supernatural
Is that even a thing this edition?
I thought (Su) and (Ex) and all that shit was gone
>>
>>49535863
Well I've always thought of wild shaping as a willing self polymorph, and if it isn't, what exactly is the Druid doing.

If the Druid isn't shape changing or polymorphin and doing something completely different then it's up to the DM to figure out what it's doing.

A Druid could be summoning a spirit to take the caster's place, and let the Druid control it. That would be conjuration Magic. Or if he was calling on a dead animal to come back and let him assume the form of it it would be Necrotic magic.

Rule it how you want but I say while wild shaping they are shapechangers using a self polymorph spell.
>>
>>49535370
This is a good pick for my question. Where does the damage bonus come from? Like a rapier has 1d8 damage. Where does the +3 come from?
>>
>>49535903
>So, if the caster uses his action the druid would glow if in range, localizing him hiding among other animals. Interesting
That kind of sucks, but it's good to know dispel magic can't knock them out of it and the PHB restrictions of form loss are still true.

That's a big help. Is there any area in the Dungeons Master Guide that explain statuses like super natural? is that something that carried over from old versions, because there's nothing about that in the druid part of the PHB.

>>49535963
>A Druid could be summoning a spirit to take the caster's place, and let the Druid control it.
>Or if he was calling on a dead animal to come back and let him assume the form
to be honest none of that makes any sense

they study an animal and are able to change into it if their CR chart fits, that's all the information they give. nothing about spirits or necrotic is implied. I get it's some sort of polpymorph, but it's a very specific one to their class.
>>
>>49535903
The description of wildshape literally states you "magically assume the shape of a beast" so that second part is clearly bullshit
>>
>>49536011
I think it's an excuse to make it so people can figure out if something is a druid without ruining the meat of a moon druid class by making a level 20 druid dead to a group of low levels with access to dispel magic.
>>
Has a character you liked/loved/really fond of died not because of your agency but because you had to deal with a bad DM?
>>
>>49536006
It's called flavor, the PHB only says you assume the form of an animal, and doesn't explain further. So the DM gets to choose what exactly is happening. Even the studying the animal part isn't mentioned, just seen it.

So if you are trying to break down what exactly is happening during a wild shape the DM has to provide it. They may rule it's not any kind of magic even. It's up to them.
>>
File: image.jpg (62KB, 338x342px)
image.jpg
62KB, 338x342px
As a GM, is it considered poor form to have someone just sort of... cast Resurrection on a bad guy they killed off-screen? Resurrection and Revivify are spells that are totally at the PC's disposal, but it feels like I'm cheating to say "I know you guys killed the Prince of Thieves last month, but the guy is the Prince of Thieves. He has a lot of money stored away. You just sort of left him where he fell, so his henchmen took him and a bunch of his gold somewhere for resurrection services, because he's the sort of guy who prepares for these sort of things. He's back now."

In universe it makes complete sense, but out of game I feel like I'm cheating.
>>
>>49536152
It's not cheating but the players and the character will probably be sick of him. Remind them that they can't leave a body if there is a threat of resurrection.
>>
>>49536152
Give the pcs some warning, and the opportunity to stop it.

It could be something as simple as a huge resurrection quality diamond was delivered to a broker in the city, and the pcs find out.
>>
>>49536152
I've done it a couple different ways--I have an obvious, "Oh, he's dead, but his body disappears in a flash of demonic laughter..." and let them worry about it until I reintroduce him.

Another way (that I loved, but my players went nuts over) I did it was that the guy was a sort-of undead God that could possess different members of his cultists with a profane ritual. It was fun, because the undead God could also speak through any corpse, so there's nothing like standing in a battlefield and every corpse is speaking to you at the same time with the same words.

Freaked the shit out of my players. If I knew anything about sound manipulation, I'd have recorded my voice and dubbed it over itself several times.
>>
>>49535323

In the current game I DM. I wanted their to be 9 gods. So I just put all of the domians on a number and rolled two domains for each god until I had all domains repersented. Then I made the fluff for the god's based on their domains.

Light and Death, War and Life. Were some of the cooler combos I got.
>>
>>49536192

Yeah, this works. You also might want to mention the consequences of this kinda bullshit elsewhere in the world. There are a few spells that fundamentally change how your gameworld and society work if people have access to them, and Rezz spells are definitely up there. If Resurrection is well-known, people get in the habit of burning the bodies of their enemies, or going on heroic missions to recover a body before it can be incinerated.
>>
>>49535335
I'm brewin' a warlock of the Three witch gods from Grim Dawn
Bladelock goes for Solael's favor (BURN WITH VOID-FIRE), tomelock for Dreeg(Venom, vitriol and crazy visions), chainlock for Bysmiel (social stuff+)
>>
>>49536235
I'd like to read up on those.
>>
>>49536005
Think its my dex bonus, but I'm so out the loop... and orcpub did the calculations :/
>>
File: Holt.jpg (81KB, 463x594px) Image search: [Google]
Holt.jpg
81KB, 463x594px
>>49535323
Use pantheons of METAL GODS
>>
>>49535903
Dispel Magic ends spells. Wildshape isn't a spell.
>>
>>49535762
War with forces of evil rages on the world.
PCs were posessed by vile spirits, demons wiped their memories [yey amnesia], holy men exorcised demons and now have some really damn talented hands in their dungeon. They will sure use them for something, it'd be a sin to waste such potential...
Savotage demons' summoning circles, assasinate warlocks, make sure evacuation from a hopelessly undefended city goes as planned, go negotiate with hobgoblin warlord and potentially gain a temporary ally, find out where the Emperor went withput telling anyone [Awakening a dragon who is emperor's ancestor?]
>>
>>49536138
I wouldn't really say deciding wildshape is necrotic or harnesses spirits is flavour. That's very specific stuff that could affect the form. Being in necrotic buffer armour could mean holy magic makes things have an advantage on you, as well as it would mean you'd have to kill things or watch then die to get their form. That would only be flavour if someone wanted to play an edgy necromancy druid multi class.

In terms of harnessing the spirits or something odd, there's already the summon fey spirits spell that has them assume a random animal shape up to the DM. If you want the wild shape to be magical fey or random spirit dust, the DM is making the form overly complicated. You're better off saying magic and shit since homebrews just ruin everything.

And the study thing is a bit more implied because you actually have to see the beast. Polymorph doesn't have those restrictions, otherwise having extinct animals like dinosaurs doesn't make sense. It's part of why Wildshape can't just be Polymorph.
>>
>>49536275
Tell me more.
>>
>>49535558
>>49535558
Anyone? I know there's one about it just haven't saved it
>>
>>49536152
Depends how you pull it off and if you do it often, but if the party has access to it or the enemy is powerful enough to have allies that would want to bring him back it makes sense.

It'll create situations where your PCs have to figure out how to dispose of enemy corpses and make sure they can't just keep coming back from the dead. Might need to give them a bag of holding for corpse disposal.
>>
>>49536434
About the Three witch gods? Buy Grim Dawn and walk The Hidden Path yourself, seeker
>>
>>49536464
Bag of Devouring.
>>
>>49536489
sounds fun

if they sacrifice enough bodies to it they could befriend a death god for making sure the dead stay dead
>>
>>49536474
No thanks. I was instead wondering about the homebrew mechanics.
>>
>>49535736
Do something that would get a reaction from a person but not an animal. No nature checks or magic necessary.
>>
I have an idea for a villainous group consisting of 3 bards. What would be the best schools to use for this?
>>
>>49536773
Lore. No real need to go valor ever.
>>
>>49536152
If you do, make sure to put forward notes and hints of "This guy is alive, but you killed him, how strange." and assuming they are knowledgable enough. "Perhaps he has an allied cleric powerful enough to cast ressurection spells? With him being on ward now it would be unwise to go for the prince, sidequest time, go track down who this cleric might be. Bonus points, odds are the cleric has a wealth of diamonds with him."
>>
>>49536773
I'd say Lore, Lore, Valor.
>>
>>49537024
So all 3 of them should be lore? I want to make sure they're a well rounded party so the provide a challenge to the players I put them against. If it helps I plan on having two of them be drow and the third be a high elf.
>>
>>49535601

Rogue Elf.

Pretty standard, but not quite Ranger Elf ya dig? Haha.
>>
>>49536304
I looked it up in the PHB. pg. 196.
It is your dex modifier, yea.
>>
Weaponizing / offensively using a Bag of Holding or Bag of Devouring. How do you rule it?

In this scenario, it's a player holding it and attempting to gag 'n bag a humanoid monster/ npc.
>>
>>49535601
I'll go with the classic half-orc barbarian.
My favourite premise for going on adventure is "Son of orcish chieftain, wants to accumulate enough battle experence, fame and gold to defeat his siblings in war of succession"
>>
>>49537233

Roll percentage, depending on the monster and how many sharp thingies the monster has on it the bag might rupture and break.
>>
>>49536005
The attack bonus of +5 comes from combining the dexterity bonus of +3 with the proficiency bonus of +2.
>>
>>49537142
>>49537113
Play the Valor-Bard as a Halberd wielding polearm master in mithral half-plate. Steal some of the Cleric buffs or Paladin "smite" spells to bolster his martial prowess.

Two Lore-bards can go whatever you want, one can be Druid-Light using summon-animals and some of the good Drood spells.

Having three concentrations to throw around is pretty brutal.
>>
What's the take on the Purple Dragon Knight?
>>
>>49537481
It's the result of WoTC trying to remake the Warlord in 5e, but not going far enough. It's not the best.
>>
>>49537481
It's missing a main, semi-repeatable mechanic to make it stand up to the other fighter archetypes.
>>
I'm DMing a group that has just acquired a decent sized ship....let's say the pic related. Large party of 9th level with decent equipment.

Assuming I know nothing of naval combat, how do I into appropriate encounters?
>>
>>49537575

No Santi.
>>
File: Alucard-4.jpg (334KB, 700x800px) Image search: [Google]
Alucard-4.jpg
334KB, 700x800px
Is using my starting feat as a variant human on weapon master just so I can't play a more accurate Alucard as an undying chainlock with rapier and sword proficiency a waste of a feat?
>>
>>49537481
Basically it's sub par with its base feature.

Champion gets to crit fish.

Eldritch knight gets to cast spells.

Battlemaster gets to kungfu everything.

Purple Dragon knight gets to heal a small number of characters for a pitiful ammount but have to use their action surge to do so.
>>
>>49537638
Dip a rogue level and get everything as well as free sneack attacks thanks to your familiar.
Pick up the swashbuckler archetype if you go deep enough and you are GOD at melee.
>>
File: 1472759326846.gif (132KB, 310x266px)
1472759326846.gif
132KB, 310x266px
Lv 3 GOOlock with 8/16/14/12/10/16

Should I just bump my CHA or get a feat? I might want to get War Caster for the advantage on CON saves and for casting Shillelagh while dual wielding.
>>
>>49537575
Running a naval game myself ive just chosen to handle combat as a skill challenge, otherwise you get stuck in a repetitive series of movement and cannon fire, also plays in nicely with chases.

So basically successes damage other ships and failures damage your own.
>>
>>49537822
You've asked this before.

Both are fine options. Do you find yourself ever needing to make conventration checks and dual wield? Or do you cast EB and spells more
>>
>>49535829
Well if the same hawk is following the group for days maybe there is something with it
>>
File: brewmaster_01.jpg (64KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
brewmaster_01.jpg
64KB, 400x300px
>>49535264
How can I play an alchemist/potion master type character without any homebrew whatsoever?
Is the artificer thats in 5e my answer? Is it any good for that?
>>
How does a forced march work to speed a parties movement speed up for the long term? I can't find a reference how that works.

Is it basically dashing but long term with exhaustion penalties if it's for too long?
>>
>>49537629
I don't know what that means.

>>49537842
Interesting. What kind of encounters / challenges have you come across?
>>
DMing an incursion into the feywild, the group is trying to rescue a halfling from being sacrificed by a tribe of Gnolls to make a Gnoll Fang of Yeenoghu, and has an unsteady relationship with a satyr from the Unseelie Court. Any information I look up involves some underhanded magical realming as breeding with anything is mentioned more times than I'm comfortable with for Unseelie Fey.

Any ideas for what I can focus on? The satyr is already gonna just start hitting on the girl of the group cause it's literally in their background, but some suggestions would be nice.
>>
>>49538120
You're thinking like the uruks in two towers? I wouldn't call that dashing speed. Check PHB page 182 for travel paces- they have fast speed at 4 mph and assume a day of traveling at that pace is 7.5 hours. If they're traveling faster than that or longer, I'd set a DC and ask for con saving throws, and apply exhaustion on a fail.
>>
>>49536152
Anyone in a position of power would be stupid not to have fail safes set up to prevent their untimely demise in a world where resurrection exists. You can just make this Prince of Thieves smart enough to stay out of the PC's way for now.
>>
>>49538290
Sort of. Either players hurriedly getting somewhere, or away from something. Or even an army doing the same. Trying to figure how much ground can be covered by groups in a day if they have motivation to be quick about it.

Average humans cover about 3 to 4 mph for walking speed (according to yahoo answers..). I don't have the PHB on me at the moment, so I'll look that up later.
>>
>>49537638
For a warlock you'd probably be better off multiclassing to get those than spending the feat on it.
>>
>>49538414
Standard travel speeds are
>fast
4mph, -5 to passive perception
>medium
3mph
>slow
2mph, able to use stealth /forage for food
>>
>>49535264
Does anyone have a pdf of the Planar Bestiary on DM's Guild they can share?

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/193100/Planar-Bestiary?hot60=1&src=hottest_filtered&filters=45469
>>
>>49538571
thanks!
>>
>>49535805
There are several ways to handle this. Lots of fake checks. Or roll nature checks behind the screen without telling the players. Or hope that the fact that a wolf is staring at them but not acting clues them into knowing something is up.
>>
>>49538575
____________________________no_________________________
>>
>>49538575
This isn't /r/. Stop spamming the thread with this. With the amount of time you've wasted posting this request over and over again to not /r/, you could have earned ten dollars at McDonald's and bought the damn thing.
>>
File: Untitled.png (7KB, 632x177px)
Untitled.png
7KB, 632x177px
>>49538575
I have it.
If you can resist posting that same question for the next three threads, I'll give you a link.
>>
>>49538684
Or you could shut him up now for good. I've seen the same post on da archive thread and the other chan which i can only assume to be him. Dude has a hard on for this particular pdf for some reason.
>>
Are there any Gods in the Forgotten Realms that would have voodoo-style worshipers?
>>
>>49538730
Who do?
>>
>>49538684
Don't give in, and make it 20 threads.
>>
>>49538671
Just ignore him dude. One post in each thread isn't something to be pissy about. When you see it just scroll past it. Or who knows, maybe >>49538684 will actually post it to make him stop.
>>
>>49538575
got the old version of the planar bestiary with some google fu. it's roughly 90 pages compared to the 120 finished product:

aHR0cDovL3d3dzc2LnppcHB5c2hhcmUuY29tL3YvVjRiWXdWMnMvZmlsZS5odG1s
>>
>>49538671
But then he would have had to work at McDonalds.
>>
>>49538729
>>49538782
>>49538805
I hate to spoil the surprise, but it's not the actual PDF. He just renamed a different pdf.
>>
>>49535601
Half-elf rogue.
>>
>>49536152
Nah, it's a good way to teach your players to actually make sure they handle things 100%.

Just don't do it often.
>>
File: Planar Bestiary.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Planar Bestiary.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49539155
Not at all.
>>49538575
Here you go, guy.
You've earned it.
>>
>>49537842
skulls and shackles playerguide from pathfinder has naval combat rules. you could see if something there grabs your fancy
>>
>>49539228

I love you anon.
>>
Anyone have good ideas for magical ballista? Something to spice up the mundane "large mounted crossbow"?
>>
>>49539155
No shit. Renaming a pdf is easy.

>>49539228
>White borders
Yeah that'll trick him.
>>
>>49539321
Bolts create a magical area effect, like sleep, fire ball or some other shit. Go crazy, it's magic.
>>
File: 081 (1).png (6KB, 372x314px) Image search: [Google]
081 (1).png
6KB, 372x314px
>>49539228
>>
>>49538065
Homebrew a potion of bleach and drink it.
>>
Are there any good gun rules out there? I want to include them in my next setting.
>>
File: 3226290.jpg (35KB, 442x335px)
3226290.jpg
35KB, 442x335px
>>49535323
>>
>>49539228
And here I thought that PDF would never be good for anything
>>
My group is about to play in water world, now everyone else is doing naval shit too.

Yay.
>>
I am in the process of writing a gnome Oath of Devotion paladin of the Lords of the Golden Hills, and I'm looking for some ideas if anyone's got some on what exactly would be some entertaining oaths - or just entertaining ways to phrase the regular Oath of Devotion oaths - that would fit a gnome paladin of the Lords of the Golden Hills.

Having a blast with the character concept.
>>
>>49539466
Mercer's guns are pretty decent.
>>
>>49539228
Oh I laughed. I never expected to be gotten by my own got.
>>
>that guy rolls obscenely well for stats
>will not shut the fuck up about how good his character is and how he's going to carry the party

He even convinced the DM to let him use some stupid strong homebrew bullshit.

Not sure if him or my DM are the problem, but either way this campaign is gonna be miserable
>>
So I'm going to be running a siege next session.

Should I bother with the mass combat rules, or should I have the agressors breach the gate very quickly and manage the PCs fighting enemies in the streets?

I plan on having a third faction pop in at some point to accuse the PCs of causing this conflict they did set it off, but there had been tensions between the two warring factions for a while. Should I have them try to interrupt the battle, or wait until it's over?

For context, the defenders are a not!chinese port city, the aggressors are an industrially advanced army of hobgoblins, and the third faction is an aboleth's thralls.
>>
>>49539626
>rolling stats
Regardless of everything else, you've definitively got at least one problem.
>>
>>49539626
Both. Him for being a dick, DM for allowing it, all of you for rolling stats like fucking animals.
>>
>>49539626
Well it sounds like your campaign hasn't started yet, so there's no better time to walk away if you really expect it to be shitty
>>
>>49539651
Yea that was a mistake in the first place.

Luckily everyone rolled well. That Guy didn't even roll that much higher than anyone.

Does anyone else have experience with a DM who is oblivious to good or bad players? I knew this guy was going to be obnoxious from his character application and there were a dozen others that would have been good but my dm chose this guy.

He says his character is racist against nonhumans, and since everyone except him is a nonhuman and working for a nonhuman organization is the fucking adventure hook, like come the fuck on. Our rogue is probably going to murder this clown at some point
>>
>>49539626
>mfw people roll 14-16-14-12-16-14
>>
>>49539725
I usually have an incredibly easy time picking out good apps from bad ones on roll20.

People's writing is invariably a dead give away on what kind of player I can expect them to be.

The best questions you can possibly ask are negative questions, such as "what do you not like to experience in a game" - if you get ample bitching it's the easiest mark-off ever.
>>
>>49539783
I'd love that.
My last game the DM forced me to roll, I actually ended up with 15/13/15/17/14/11 on 4d6 dropping the lowest x6.
I've never rolled that well in my life. Rolling well didn't make me hate rolling any less though
>>
>>49539799
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBmEFgd_4ho
>>
>>49539834
Ah. The bard with 12/8/4/7/9/5.
Not good times.
>>
>>49539846
Technically not possible with the insane bard prerequisites back then
>>
>>49539885
I'm referencing a character in 3.5 where I rolled exactly those stats in a game DM'd by a AD&D guy who enforced that rule.
Not good times.
>>
I used to be fine with rolling until I rolled 9-11-11-11-16-11
>>
>>49539904
Ah, sounds like fun
>>
>>49539785
I know, ive run games on roll20. This guys application was a big warning sign from the first sentence- he wouldn't put his first name in the application and instead asked to be called by an extremely autistic nickname

Everyone else refers to eachother by name
>>
>>49539919
I can assure you it was not fun.
>>
>>49539834
This guy needed to rant on about "Good Necromancers", to many people are to pussy to approach this topic.
>>
>>49539973
Dunno about a rant, but he does mention someone playing a chaotic good necromancer in a campaign once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icYbEBgUZJc
>>
File: player options.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
player options.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49536444
>>
>>49539649
If you want to give the PCs something to do that isn't mass combat, maybe have them try to run past a naval blockade to prevent the attackers from starving the defenders out. That's what most sieges amount to - the word means "sitting"
>>
>>49539309
I've looked at that and tried that, its to many numbers which kills a lot of the excitement of ship combat. The main thing I wanted was to allow for creativity and memorable combats, but the confines of a ship mostly are reduced into cannon fire exchange and massive headache for me as the GM whenever someone mentions spells.

I probably shouldn't talk it up too much but t he skill challenge form allows for player creativity and can fit in spells much more easily (since a successful use of a spell translating to a success is way easier than trying to determine how it affects the enemy ship). I have a few more things outlined (upgrades, weapons, problems etc) in my notes that I'd rather not post here since they are for personal use, but my players seem to like it from what I've shown them.
>>
tg, our party is going to have a hound cohort, which the DM wants us to get a build for.

One of the guys is a bit of a... well, I don't like saying mean stuff, but it would mean a lot to me if I could come up with something better than him, who spends all day with his nose up fedoracore homebrew's butts
>>
>>49536474
Are you just reskinning stuff? I imagine that You'd use Greenflame Blade for Solael's Witchfire, Eldritch Blast as a reskinned Eye of Dreeg or Doombolt, and then your pet would be a storm crow/tiny hell hound. Do you plan to change any actual mechanics or just the class flavor?
>>
>>49540163

naval combat is p. boring unless the ships ram into each other or you stage some kind of pirate-style boarding from ship to ship

>>49540190

Scooby Dooby Dooooo
>>
>>49540215
Ramming and/or Boarding is your best bet. Then it's fun as shit.

I tend to go, "Okay, you've learned you can't outrun the pirate ship, so you've got about 2 minutes to prepare until the pirate ship is alongside."

The last time I used it, they decided to be dumb and let the pirate ship ram them, almost sinking them both.
>>
>>49540215
Yes thats kind of why I went with the skill challenge route: Trying to run naval combat straight is like all your players are playing the same fighter, only with shittier movement and no mechanics except "fire weapon X" or "fire weapon Y". You try mixing in the player's own character's abilities and the crew and then you end up with a logistical nightmare for the GM.

Just make it a skill challenge, engage players with having them describe the scene in a movie like fashion and get to the good part: boarding the enemy ship and taking their loot. That was my line of thinking anyway.
>>
>>49540278
>>49540256

Yeah that's pretty much how our GM went with it, the pirate ship was getting near our ship so we just threw skill challenges and percentages to decide how many arrows were fired/fires were started/peeps died leading up to ramming and boarding.
>>
>>49535469
What's the idea? If the barrels are supposed to destroy a chunk of the enemy city, or at least it's port and ships, then the explosion has to be massive in such a way I can hardly see low-level characters surviving. To me it should be at least similar to a fireball.
>>
So quick question. After world building a campaign for a new group I have a player that's hiding the fact he's an assassin from the group. He wants to make a blowgun/crossbow that fires small rusty needles at enemies to poison them and give them tetanus.

How would you go about restrictions, him building it, time, costs and just other miscellaneous information?
>>
>>49540001
Ah I miss my good necromancer, Lazlo LeChance...

Going around town reviving dead grandmas as zombies and pets as skeletons... So misunderstood... So kind...

Then he turned himself into a lich and took care of a bunch of stray kittens, living out his eternity in his cave/study.
>>
>>49540784
my lich created an army of wizard revenants to destroy the evils of the world

Never did get the gold to make them all hivemind sadly though
>>
>>49540717
Tetanus infection is not guaranteed, and a rusted arrow wouldn't penetrate armor very well.

However, I'd allow a secret assassin to make contact with secret alchemists to purchase poisons. Roleplay + Money, in other words. It'd not be easy, though, because poisons are illegal in most places that aren't, you know, shit.

>>49540784
...I want to steal that character name. Tell me more.
>>
>>49536006
It specifically says you magically assume the shape of an animal. I don't know if they count as a shapechanger with this effect, but it is explicitly magical and will be detected by detect magic.

>>49536011
Dispel Magic only ends the effects of spells. We're not adding in classifications of spell-like, supernatural, spell, and extraordinary abilities. Wild Shape is magic, and detect magic detects magic. Wild Shape is not a spell and dispel magic ends spells. Go figure.

>>49536138
Wild Shape has no official school of magic. It's just magic.
>>
My player asked if it's possible to fuck a god after seeing lewd artwork of Shar.

So, if one were to embark on a journey to fuck Shar, how would one go about it?
>>
>>49541292
Maybe the player needs to find how to earn the gods favor to romance her?
>>
>>49535438
If it blasts your booty just remove their multiattack and have their attack have a radius
>>
>>49537645
>Purple Dragon knight gets to heal a small number of characters for a pitiful ammount but have to use their action surge to do so.
They use their second wind, and it is a really pitiful amount, and the character's have to be able to see or hear the PDK, so it can't even be used to rouse someone that's been KO'd like lay on hands or healing word.
>>
File: dimitri.png (147KB, 900x692px) Image search: [Google]
dimitri.png
147KB, 900x692px
>>49541292
>My player
>>
Give me a badass kobold villain name. This kobold is a devil-worshipping warlock and the BBEG.
If it helps you get an image, he is incredibly serious, intelligent, and powerful, but his minions are more inbred than your average kobolds, and are absolutely inept at being villains. His luck also seems to be that whenever he hires or intimidates other races into working for him, they also end up being idiots.
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 640x480px
>>49541292
1)Multiclass Cleric.
2)Get Divine Intervention.
3)Call on your God for The Greatest Booty Call in recorded history.
4)Get lucky and roll under cleric level.
5)Gaze upon your divine waifu.
6)Proceed to die as the puss game is too godly.
7)Go down as the mortal who fucked a god.
8)10/10 would die again.

Pick related.
>>
>>49541292
Level ten clerics can entreat their gods to share a romantic evening. At level 20, they're guaranteed to say yes .
>>
File: pb.png (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pb.png
1MB, 1600x1200px
>>49541448
>Pinkies and the Brain
>>
>>49541448
Skrunkhole the Insufferable
>>
>>49541539
Hehe. I like that.
>>
>>49538590
Average daily travel is also 8 hours (regardless of pace). If you go for longer, that's a forced march and there's escalating saves against exhaustion for each hour.
>>
>>49535370
I'd recommend shortening the abilities if you plan to play this character for an extended period. Especially since Sneak Attack is taking 1/3rd your ability bar.
>>
>>49541292
Apotheosis, that's about it. Shar seems like the kind of goddess who wouldn't bother with random losers.
>>
>>49535601
Gnome Warlock
>>
>>49535601
Human draconic sorcerer and gnome paladin are my top two.
>>
>>49535601

Deep Gnome Arcane Trickster
>>
File: It's a gnome I swear.jpg (17KB, 483x351px) Image search: [Google]
It's a gnome I swear.jpg
17KB, 483x351px
Hey, so this is more a question for 3.5, but I felt that it's kind of dumb to make a whole new thread for this one question.

The spell "Fire Seeds" states that the caster can make 8 holly berry bombs. To quote directly from the rulebook "If you are within 200 feet and speak a word of command, each berry instantly bursts into flame, causing 1d8 points of fire damage +1 point per caster level to every creature in a 5-foot-radius burst and igniting any combustible materials within 5 feet." When it says that "each berry instantly bursts into flame, causing damage..." does that mean that each individual berry deals 1d8+casterlevel or do all the berries together deal 1d8+casterlevel? I'm talking this out with the GM, and we both agree that being able to deal 8d8+casterlevel*8 is kinda insane.
>>
>>49535736

Disentegrate them

It's the only way to be sure

If it kills them, they don't come back to their original form.
>>
>>49541099
What do you want to know? Lazlo was a kind misunderstood soul. He really loved kittens and razing any clerics who dared to hurt his undead babies.
>>
>>49542133
Ignore this question, my GM and I have reached a conclusion. He ruled that they do overlap, but you must be careful with the berries. If you toss them or someone steps on them, the spell is void on that berry.
>>
>>49542133
>>49542196
If they were seperate spells (You cast fire seeds 8 times to get 8 berry bombs) they would not stack.
However, they should do, in 5e. Also, the damage wouldn't scale off of caster level, in 5e.
But this isn't 5e
So fuck if I know.
>>
>>49541448
Kroth Cat-herder
>>
Why does DMG say aasimar make good paladins and clerics when in fact they do not

They get a useless stat for the class either way
>>
File: wat cat 2.jpg (60KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
wat cat 2.jpg
60KB, 500x500px
>>49542379
>+1 Wis
>+2 Cha
>do not make good paladins or clerics
>>
>>49542379
They were talking in terms of roleplay, and it's not an official iteration of the Aasimar, just an example of a race (Tiefling) easily refluffed into a new race.
>>
>>49542379
>>49542410
>>49542394
Oh, nevermind, if they have +2cha and +1wis then you're a faggot.
>>
My players just left an intact, animate golem heart in their collection of magic items.

How should I stat up a "relic golem"?
>>
File: 1b5.jpg (35KB, 293x636px) Image search: [Google]
1b5.jpg
35KB, 293x636px
>>49542379
>Paladins
Whatever, you have to take +2 max in your melee stat, big deal.
>Cleric
You get your casting stat.
Fuck off.
>>
Does the UA Warforged work well in 5e? I want to play one but I am not sure yet if it's usable.
>>
>>49542511
It's usable enough. A bit underwhelming but usable.
>>
>>49542518
How's it underwhelming?
>>
File: Naval mechanics.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Naval mechanics.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49537575
i hope this somewhat helps
>>
>>49542524
It gives only +1/+1 for stats and a few fitting but kind of lame ribbons. The +1 AC makes them a decent overall choice mechanically but it doesn't really capture the full flavor that 3.5e's additional mechanics originally gave them (multiple types of warforged models, warforged components, etc.).
>>
>>49542492
You mean, it's going to take up all the magical weapons?

It'd have ridiculous defences on the outer layer, but some attacks might be able to get past to attack the heart which would be the vulnerable point.

The outer layer might be immune to physical damage and resistant to everything else, but bypassing an AC of maybe 23 or 24 can strike the inner parts, which takes full damage.
I'd be nice and give someone with a piercing weapon advantage to hit once they realise what they're supposed to be hitting.

It'd probably use random magical item effects without much care for the consequences.

Slam attack with slashing.
>>
>>49535264
I made Strahd fill in the roll of the Skeleton Knight in Berserk giving aid and advice on defeating Strahd to the party. They are convinced that despite the armor, black sword, and nightmare he's a decent enough guy and are doing what he asks after a few encounters.

What should I do to make the twist meaningful and memorable. I'm considering dumping them in Berez.
>>
>>49542593
Ah okay then. What available class would you recommend using with the current iteration of warforged? I remember back in 3.5e I had this awesome Warfroged Psion, but it looks like psionics isn't really a thing in 5e right now.
>>
>>49542703
There's the Mystic from unearthed arcana for psionics, but it's unfinished and only goes to level 10. As for classes, any strength-based class does well enough, and the bonus AC can help melee casters a bit.
>>
>>49542703
Barbarian, fighter, and paladin are all solid choices for them.
>>
>>49542739
>>49542749
So far I know I want my character's background to be an Investigator (from the Sword Coast Adventure Guide), which class would work for a tough ass but intelligent investigator that wants to do right but also earn cash too?
>>
>>49542797
Mastermind Rogue or that Rogue from the Gothic Heroes UA
>>
And body else bodily relieved that the Volo book isn't going to be 65 dollars? Was psyched as fuck for playable greenskins and Giants, now it's greenskins and Giants at a reasonable price!
>>
>>49542839

I'd have bought it regardless of the price, but a reduction is always welcome.
>>
File: 1457915793136.jpg (1MB, 1546x800px) Image search: [Google]
1457915793136.jpg
1MB, 1546x800px
>>49538575
Bumping request.
>>
Any tips on running a low level underground game?

Kinda wanna throw the party into dwarf city/mines/caves/deeproad scenarios but dunno what to do for it other than (escort caravan through tunnel)
>>
>>49542839
I mean, I guess I'm relieved, but it was never going to be that high since all of their stuff has been $50 MSRP.
>>
>>49542819
Does the 5e rogue work that well with a Warforged?
>>
What are some good videos to watch to learn how to DM?
>>
>>49543035
crit role is always an option
>>
>>49543035
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFpTlhHwgOQ
>>
>>49542989
Reminds me of that one investigator robot.

However, that feels like it'd be much more suited to a 'lawful' investigator, the rogue skills are explained because they have to have rogue knowledge to infiltrate and they're used to that sort of combat and subtefuge anyway.
>>
>>49542989
>>49542797
>>49543108
Also, if you want to do a strength rogue, you'll have to multiclass.

Int rogue would likely be that mastermind or arcane trickster.

Charisma rogue is swashbuckler.

Strength rogue is fighter/barbarian/paladin - rogue.

A tough rogue could simply have high con though, as you already get uncanny dodge and some other things, your survivability shouldn't be too bad.
>>
>>49543143
Is multiclassing in 5e easier than in 3.5e? I remember it being a hassle
>>
>>49543189
>Is multiclassing in 5e easier than in 3.5e?
Not particularly, but at least there isn't favored class and experience penalty to keep track of. So, slightly easier.
>>
>>49543189
just meet the requirements (stats) and observe what you actually get/don't get from the multiclass
>>
>>49542492
There's a "Hoard Golem" in the Tome of Beasts if i'm not mistaken, maybe check that one out.
>>
>>49543143
>>49543213
I've been reading through the PH and I just found the Trickery Domain of the Cleric. Would a 5e Cleric work for what I intend or should I just stick with the previous suggestion of multiclassing a rogue with a fighter or paladin? I am more so used to spell caster so that is why I inquire about this option for my investigator bot.
>>
>>49543189
It's easy, but understanding the full consequences can be a bit harder.

I'm an experienced faggot, so I can tell you whether a multiclass is a good idea, an suboptimal/okay idea or a shit idea that shouldn't do even for flavour.

>>49543251
Arcana cleric or divination wizard or lore bard or trickery cleric or rogue or an oddly actually intelligent paladin (Watch out for MADness) could all work.

Magic gives some nice investigatory abilities.
>>
>>49543089
Please don't learn to DM from Mercer. He's a terrific storyteller and actor, but his ability to run a game is the weakest point on the show.

If I was a new DM again I would use a module and the advice from slyflourish.
>>
>>49543189
100% yes, because you aren't gimped in terms of BAB for multiclassing and full casters can actually multiclass now.

>>49543251
Trickery clerics are interesting but are not necessarily very sneaky by themselves. They are, however, great enablers of shenanigans.
>>
>>49542989
A rogue with bonus AC and that never ever sleeps for real? Uh... yeah. Those are nice perks even with the stats not being perfect. Starting with 15 Dexterity won't kill you, but you have to delay any feats you really want until 8th level.

It isn't like 3.5 where starting sub-optimally means your character is dead on arrival like a dwarven wizard would be. You can make that dwarven wizard, wear medium armor, and be an effective tank (eventually). You'd be fine.
>>
>>49535601
Aarakora monk or tiefling sorcerer
>>
So I think d12's are the most underused dice in my collection. What's the most d12-heavy character I could possibly roll up in 5e? Is barbarian with a greataxe it, or is there further d12 usage to be had?
>>
>>49543445
does the battlemaster get up to d12's? too lazy to check.
>>
>>49543280
>>49543302
So what is the best optimization for a trickery domain cleric? Or at least for character creation, using point buy system. Been awhile since I've made a toon.
>>
>>49543445
>barbarian with a greataxe
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Get Magic Initiate and choose Poison Spray as one of your cantrips if you want another option for d12s, though almost never as good as your greataxe.
>>
>>49536307
So basically, run a campaign in the Brütal Legend setting?

I'd be okay with that.
>>
How do you deal with supplies, /5eg/?

I want to give the players a reason to stay on-map, and rations/tinder/general supplies represented as an item seems like a good way to do it. An item that costs a moderate amount of cash they have to use every so often while lurking around in dungeons or what amounts to the Overworld. It'd also give them a non-brutal way of realizing they're not prepared for deeper levels. If they go in too deep, they'll deal with harder/weirder encounters, and, with foresight, they'll probably realize they'd be cutting it close with the rations and the journey back to a neighboring town could be difficult too.

Something along the lines of:

>After (any amount of events they perform that would take enough time, like, maybe clearing out a floor of a dungeon, or traveling ten miles with some encounters along the way), it becomes dusk, then night, with penalties to perceptions, spot checks, initiative, and what amounts to Tucker's Kobolds crawling out into the woods.

In order to avoid dealing with that, they can set up camp, burn a ration, heal some hitpoints, so on so forth.

Or, they can risk more dangerous, more frequent combat that often doesn't begin in their favor, in order to make it to the next town, otherwise they'll end up with minor penalties for each day they don't rest.

I'd say they'd have to use one every day, maybe every other day if it's combat-heavy, on average, but do you guys think it's too tight of a leash? Is it just pointless autism on my end? Can players in2 resource management? My players enjoy roleplaying so giving their PC's time by the campfire, giving them time to chat in-character could be nice.
>>
File: Ranger1.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Ranger1.pdf
1B, 486x500px
How does this look? My first ranger (and second 5e character ever). My DM let me use revised ranger, so that's cool.
>>
>>49543512
> calling your pc a toon
>>
Anyone use Roll20? Im looking for tile sets for dungeons that I can customize to make a whole bunch of different encounters. Anyone got suggestions?
>>
>>49543669
That's meaning less if your party has a druid.

Good Berry, Produce Flame, Create and Destroy Water etc.

ie. supplies in high fantasy setting is pretty stupid.
>>
>>49543669
Just give them campfire time without any 3.5 autism tie to it.

Seriously... why would you make it harder for yourself and the party? Mental burden and pointless book keeping doesn't really have a place in 5e.
>>
>>49543767
Good Berry looks like it could be pretty stupid, yeah.

I've been playing a lot of survival horror, and I think there's fun to be had in that feeling of managing supplies and worrying about the dark. Implementing it in DnD is probably more trouble than it's worth, though.

>>49543832
Because I'm a 3.5 autist who's trying to get into OSR, and is still trying to shake the whole 'add mechanics to fucking everything' thing, but my local friends only play 5e, which I figure is the closest I can get to OSR until I can get them to try Swords and Wizardry or something.

Trust me when I say I'm far gone. Book-keeping is fun to me, anon. FUN.
>>
>>49543683
Tis blank.
>>
>>49543472
At level 18 they do.
>>
I need help 5eg. I've been researching stuff for SKT, and I read something somewhere about a city with guards who had enchanted equipment that made them all sound the same. I can't remember where it was for the life of me, and I'm not having any luck looking it up either. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
>>
>>49543512
>optimization
>trickery domain
Picking another domain is the best optimization.

You'd want high dex, high wis. Con is next best.
Dump int, str, cha as you wish.
>>
>>49535323
The two best gods ever are St. Cuthbert and Obad-hai.
Cuthbert is the god of community and common sense, he used to roam the land as a mortal teaching people to not be jackasses, and when they were, he beat their asses with a club.
Obad-hai is RULES OF NATURE as a god, the violent and indifferent side of nature.
>>
File: dnd6_iymrith.jpg (77KB, 400x400px)
dnd6_iymrith.jpg
77KB, 400x400px
Quick question, is there any ability that can reverse polymorphing? If so, why hasn't pic related from SKT been outed before the adventure begins. Mirran seems the type to be paranoid about that sort of thing.
>>
>>49535601
Forest Gnome Arcane Trickster
I've never had more fun playing a character.
>>
I just ruined my game by allowing my spoiled players some freedom. I was DMing Out Of The Abyss and decided to allow them to get drow poison at the beginning and ambush the priestess and her lover while they where sleeping. The players wrecked the priestess like she was noting because she had no armor on. Yes, I'm fucking mad.
>>
>>49536773
Do one lore bard, one blade, and one jester, don't use valor though, blade is just valor but better.
>>
>>49543512
Honestly, same as most clerics. High wisdom, and the rest is basically whatever. 14 dex for AC, some charisma for social skill shenanigans. Nothing too special - like I said, you won't be sneaking much yourself.
>>
>>49544452
>ruined your game

Firstly, why was the priestess unguarded? Did they teleport in silently or something?

If she woke up on time, could she not escape or have the guards sacrifice their lives to help her?

Or.. I don't know, there are a lot of things. You should think it out before things go ahead, but if it's a really clever plan the NPCs wouldn't have thought of then they have every right to an easy victory.
If the players dodge a bombshell, congratulate them and move along. If they're lucky, congratulate them and move along. If there was a load of build-up to a really easy and unsatisfying fight, that's really your fault for not planning properly.

If theplayers had to think of all sorts of ways to traverse counter-measures against the killing of an important figure, that's satisfaction in itself.

If you can't handle freedom, feel free to go back to railroading them or play a game that's more about railroading.
>>
>>49544460
>blade is just valor but better.
Could you perhaps elaborate? I, uh, have a friend who could use an explanation.

>>49544238
>dumping charisma on the most fun party face you've played in years
Yeah, nah
>>
>>49544492
She only had one guard, her lover. The players just kept ignoring him and killed her quickly. Drow poison is fucking OP.
>>
>>49544460
Now I don't recall exactly what the blade did, but I know it did everything the valor bard did that made it fight-y.
The valor bard got better weapons and armor, an extra attack, and the ability to cast and attack at the same time. The blade gets all of that, and also new combat-oriented uses for their bardic inspiration.
>>
>>49544520
Was drow poison in the DMG or the adventure guide?

5e is pretty cautious about things like poison and magical items.

You could always punish the players by having authorities track them down for illegal poisons.
>>
I'm starting to fear my first group may fall apart

We're only on our fourth or fifth game, I lost count. Supposedly it's weekly but since stuff always comes up for either the DM or us it ended up de facto fortnightly.

I honestly like the other guys in the group. We aren't great friends or anything, mostly we talk while playing and the DM seemingly doesn't even expect to be able to contact us outside of a session, we usually just wait for a response next week. I just thought it was great to find 4 well-adjusted and perfectly nice people to play with on my first try, even more one that fit my time zone.

One of our players quit 2 sessions ago due to getting a new job and no longer having the free time to play. I was a bit bummed since to be honest I liked him most. He brought a certain "dynamic" or "vibe" or whatever the fuck. But I thought, well we can always get a new player, no biggie

However, this session has already been postponed twice and no one has heard of anybody else or any proposals for a new player. For the first time it was because of someone not showing up rather than giving prior notice that they wouldn't be available. He DID see our posts after, so he'll probably apologize next week. I'm wondering if being a player short or just plain losing a character made him lose enthusiam (someone even adjusted his backstory a bit to make a pre-existing relation between his character and the one of the guy who quit)

I don't want to bug the DM since he appears to be a rather busy person and it would be kind of awkward asking the other guys if they're going to be available since we've never talked outside of a game before. That and maybe it's best for the whole group to know at once
>>
>>49544568
The drow poison was the one that gives them poison damage on hit, from the drow elite in the MM. The players had previously killed one of them and wanted to loot the poison, so i allowed it, because it wouldn't make sense no to. This poison is really badly explained, i don't think there is a version of this in the DMG and for good reason.
>>
>>49544675
Well, never give a monster something ifyou can't explain why players can't loot or get it themselves.

Probably fine to give them a poison, though it might be less effective if you're not proficient with poisons and their proper application (poisoner's kit), illegal or decay over time.
>>
>>49544626
On a separate note, I kinda wanted to suffer through a few terrible DMs, power gamers, that guys et al before finding a decent group. Everyone in the group is almost TOO mature and reasonable for my taste. They're mostly so polite I can't tell much about their personality - not in a stuffy way, but everyone has tacitly acknowledged that everyone else is a functioning adult and wordlessly established boundaries, so to say. One player is obviously a very outgoing person in real life, but it's more a kind of sober assertiveness and sensiblechuckle.jpg than banter.

Maybe I'm the that-guy-in-the-making for not just accepting my luck and running with it, but I have half a mind to join a different group whether this one crashes or not so I can behave more like a guy who blogposts on 4chan rather than a civilized human being
>>
>>49544721
That's the designer's fault, not mine.
>>
>>49544721
>>49544675
>>49544776
just for refrence, 5e uses the argument of "its lesser quality beastman work/they dont care for it" for gear on monsters. obviously a drow takes alot more care of its gear than a gobbo, and you can argue armor damage upon its death, but weapons and would realistically be lootable, honestly though, how much poison would he be carrying. three uses tops, at least 1 used in combat?
>>
>>49544738
Don't go down that path, friend. Humor is fun, but too much is distracting. And any behavior that can be described as "4chan-esque" is probably edgy and/or annoying.
By all means bring your personality to the table, but realize that boundaries and maturity are insanely preferable to lolrandumbs and edgelords.
>>
>>49544425
How do you mean reverse? Dispel Magic comes to mind as the most obvious one, at least for the spell Polymorph. there's also Moonbeam, which makes shapechangers go back to their true form (I would rule this affects druids). But I haven't read or played SKT, so I don't know who you're talking about.
>>
>>49544815
*but weapons and consumables would
>>
>>49544776
More the DM's fault. If something is obviously game-breaking if the players aquire it then it's a minor fault at the designer's feet for 'giving monsters things players shouldn't have', but there's much more of a fault at DM's expense when the DM doesn't then say 'The poison loses effectiveness after a certain time of harvesting, the drow don't havea lot of poison, the drow withhold secrets of an agent required to activate the poison, etc'

This means that players would have to put in extra effort if they really want the poison.

Of course, it's designer's folly if they defined the poison in ways that limits what the DM can rule on them (Though theDM could overrule it anyway)
>>
>>49535469
Have the party disembark the ship before detonation to deliver the letter to whomever its written for. Destroying their ship and stranding them in a land that is now gearing up for war and more than likely assumes the party knew what they were carrying.

Give your players several avenues to pursue, like somehow talking themselves out of trouble and working with this country to attack the one that set them up, fleeing the country and trying to exact revenge on their own, etc.

As another anon points out, if the party is really obseesed with money/possessions, then having their treasured boat destroyed so callously gives great revenge motivation.
>>
>roleplaying as my character
>decide not to metagame
>end up not doing much in a combat session
>other players are mad at me for "taking my roleplaying too far"

Does this happen to anyone else? I'm apart of two groups right now, and I guess I've been spoiled by my second group because the people there are nice and seem to genuinely like me, but the people in my first group are just assholes who treat me like garbage. Not sure why I'm even playing with them.
>>
>>49544950
Some people prefer to look at it less like a roleplaying game.
Some people prefer to look at it somewhere inbetween, where they guide their character towards the better option unless their character would definitely do the wrong thing.
Some people see it roleplay only.

Stay with your flock, not the geese.
Fuck geese.
>>
>>49544950
If you don't give specifics I tend to kind of assume the worst when you say "not doing much". What exactly was it?
>>
>>49544837
Not necessarily full blown lolrandumb, but I'd be comfortable playing with people who were just a tad more juvenile. I can freely admit the rest of the group is more mature than me and sometimes it's frustrating. I know the DM is a rather well established professional, he and one of the players are quite a bit older than me, and the other either doesn't have my problems or is exactly as silent as me about them

We're on friendly terms, but I wouldn't call them my friends outright right now. That's why I'm ambivalent. It's both a desire to keep playing and a OBLIGATION to keep going so the game doesn't go to waste. In fact, I think that's the problem since the guy left, he was the youngest and most outwardly energetic. I'm pretty certain he put everyone at ease since we're a pretty diverse group

But I guess following a passing impulse is silly. Talking about it made it clearer
>>
I think I'm a bad D&D player. I want relatively safe and easy combat where I get to be a hero, I get bored of just role playing quickly, I want everyone to be on the same page at character creation because I don't find getting back stabbed fun or interesting. Sometimes I just want everyone to kick in the door and start cutting down cultists because they're cultists and not have some crises about taking a life.
>>
File: 043275-034utjoeir.png (114KB, 1349x761px) Image search: [Google]
043275-034utjoeir.png
114KB, 1349x761px
I was browsing the DeviantArt profile of one of the Monster Manual artists and came across some interesting posts from a couple years ago. Pic related.

How much do you want to be those three will show up in Volo's Guide to Monsters?

Link: http://comments.deviantart.com/1/485960347/3622976269
>>
>>49544452
That lady doesn't really matter that much in the long run, though. Like, doesn't the book say what to do if she dies?
>>
>>49539228
Can we somehow set it so that John Cena's music plays any time somebody opens that pdf?
>>
>>49545011
I kind of get what you mean, and I agree. In many cases it's best to find people with similar tastes and attitudes to yours, who can crack a few crass jokes in- or out-of-character.
I'm just saying that from experience, it's not always easy to find the right balance by shooting randomly, although it's certainly not impossible. I've certainly had groups of strangers with decent dynamics.

>>49545043
There are different styles of play. If you find other players that share your taste, you wouldn't feel like there's a problem. Lots of people play for the fightin' and the lootin'.
>>
>>49545117
Two of those are sort of what I consider to be the more iconic epic level monsters, but they're also pretty neat in general, so I'm kind of torn between curiosity and not giving a shit about epic level stuff (or whatever it would be called this time around)
Then again demiliches are much weaker this edition, so who knows
>>
File: Ranger1.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Ranger1.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49543683
>>49543984
Sorry.. hope this one work...
>>
>>49535644
Is it because you can ride your companion?
>>
>>49545437
With dueling you might as well use a shield.
Otherwise it looks good. Higher charisma than I would have expected, but if you plan on using it then it should come in handy.
>>
>>49545437
Looks about right. Except for the damage on the whip and rapier, unless you're already adding in the bonus from Favored Enemy? in which case, the bonus also applies on your longbow, but you should probably write it somewhere else, or maybe like "1d4+3(+2)", sot that you remember. Seems you already have studded leather, right? And I would ask why did you take Athletics instead of Acrobatics?
>>
So I'm pretty new to D&D and I'm playing it at a store (as my friends are more the board-gaming type) and there's this one guy in the group... I'm almost 100% certain he'll turn on another player sooner or later. I already had to step in to prevent him killing a kobold we were interrogating for no reason. After that, when asking him about his alignment OOC, he said it's "chaotic neutral... for now".

Should I just prepare to kill this guy whenever he'll try something against another party member? It would even be in-character for me as my character confronted him before.
>>
>>49545495
>>49545437
Oh, dueling, I see... Scratch what I said above. And yeap, shield is the way to go.
>>
>>49545532
Dueling style. Understandable you'd not think about it since most rangers probably pick archery, but it's not like it can't work or anything
>>
>>49545495
Oh I forgot about the shield. I can't cast spell with somatic component while equipping it though right?

Persuasion never hurt and I might take Inspiring Leader later after I get my companion

>>49545532
I thought dueling gives +2 damage to whip and rapier? For Atheletics, I'm kinda worry about having -1 in it, since I knew my GM will call for Athletic check for swiming,climbing and running.
>>
>>49545597
If you're that worried you could just switch your base stats with charisma and strength, but unless you already have a really good face to the group there's not really anything that makes one or the other more important

As for the somatic component thing you can draw and stow one item per turn per RAW if I remember right, so in most situations you should still be able to cast as normal
>>
>>49542551
speaking of naval vessels and the like does anyone have pdfs or cut away images of ships for dnd. My character has currently come into possession of a frigate and I'm looking for images to draw her up. as well as rules for writing up custom ships in general
>>
>>49545597
You can't cast spells with a somatic component while wearing a shield, but RAW you should be able to put it away and then draw it again. Either way it shouldn't be too much of a problem because how many spells do you really expect to be casting while in melee? You should be stabbing things.

I'm sort of with >>49545656 - if you're SUPER worried about athletics, might as well bump your strength. But as >>49545771 said, having a good charisma is never bad, because everyone talks eventually.

>>49545538
100% red-flag That Guy. "For now"? Seriously? Is he literally 14 years old?
>>
What's the best premade module for 5e? Official or unofficial is fine.
>>
>>49545928
RAW it takes an action to put away the shield and an action to draw.
Object interaction to put away a weapon, and another object interaction to draw it again.

>>49545597
I wouldn't be too worried about athletics. It's a great skill to have proficiency in, but strength is a shit stat.

If you're a caster, you won't need checks to swim/climb if you have the right spells. If you're not? Eh. Might be worth bumping it up to +0 or +1 if you're only sacrificing intellect / charisma and you don't need either, if you know your DM will definitely jump athletics on you a lot.
>>
>>49546127
I didn't mean the shield totally wouldn't get in the way, I meant casting a spell will never cause you an entire round because you can use your item interaction to put away the shield and draw it on the next turn.

Strength is only a shit stat if you completely ignore it outside of battle by letting anybody lift anything. So it's a shit stat for most groups.
>>
So I've been working on a BBEG for a campaign, he's only named the Suncaller. His literally purpose is to release an army of golems that are trapped beneath the ice far to the north of the main country. He serves basically a revamped version of the Egyptian Gods.

I'm just having a horribly hard time deciding who his main minions should be. Any ideas?
>>
oops, wrong pic on >>49546185

>>49546127
From how I interpret this any turn you cast you could stow your weapon as part of movement or an action, and any following turn you could draw as part of an attack
I don't think shields can be put away as freely, and there may be some combinations of actions/bonus actions where you might need warcaster or to drop your shield to do them, but I don't know what any of those might be off the top of my head
>>
>>49546172
Shields are stated somewhere with the armour don/doff times to take an action.
You canuse that item interaction to put away whatever's in your not-shield-hand, certainly, but that's not how it works with shields.

Shields are more abusable, because simply having it in one of your hands gives you +2 AC and if it didn't take an action you'd be able to do things like use longswords as 1d10 weapons despite having your shield, since you keep putting your shield out and then away.

With enough time, you can generally lift anything and weight capacities aren't usually checked.
Still, I suppose it's a good point if people can't carry lots of heavy stuff with them.

>>49546205
From that logic, you could draw two swords in a turn, which thus means the 'you can draw two one-handed weapons for dual wielding' part of the dual wielder feat is completely redundant.

Not to mention thieves getting an object interaction as a bonus action would then be even worse than it already is.

The object interaction is once a round, but you blend it in with movement, attack or something of the like.
It's like previous editions having things like 'you can draw your weapon while moving' but changed and generalized so it can be 'you can draw your weapon while doing something'.
That doesn't mean 'You can draw a weapon every time you do literally anything on your turn' or there'd be no point in these rules.
>>
>>49544554
Valor gets BI to buff allies, Blade gets it to buff themself
>>
>>49546090
For newbies it's Lost Mine
Otherwise probably Strahd / SKT
>>
>>49545928
I guess he's twenty years old or something. His character is also a female elf that behaves like a male dwarf
>>
>>49546245
Since that feat allows you to draw two, I just took it to mean that without the feat when they say "in tandem movement and action" they mean you get one item interaction for both your movement and action together, or in other words one per round you aren't helpless. That still should be enough to work around using magic in most situations since you only need one free hand for somatic components. It's not like you need to draw your weapon again the same round that you cast something
>>
>>49546127
>>49546172
>>49546245
Thanks. I might keep a shield handy but probably not going to equip them all the time.

I'm not planning to get hit often anyway (hence the whip), since I'm going to take Giant Crab as beast conclave and use that on-hit grapple.
>>
>>49546245
>>49546293
Found sageadvice saying that dropping a weapon doesn't cost object interaction (but picking it up does).

So I guess you could drop a sword, cast a spell then pick it up.
>>
>>49546293
>it's not like you need to draw your weapon again thesame round
You do, if you:
a) Want to make an opportunity attack with it.
b) Need it out to utilitize some sort of magic item property.
c) Have a feature such as 'war magic'.
d) Casting a spell as a bonus action, which then needs you to attack afterwards (Say, using hex and then attacking).
.. And maybe some others. But that's the main lot of it.

>>49546323
Technically you can do that by RAW, but it's liable DMs will houserule something about picking weapons off the floor mid-combat so disarming someone matters more (rather than being forced to kick the weapon away after or restrict them from picking it back up somehow) and so that people don't just bounce weapons like basketballs.
>>
>>49546194
Radiant Sun Soul Monks

Light Clerics
>>
>>49545538
He's playing a chaotic neutral character, so yes, just kill him now.

I have literally never seen Chaotic Neutral done in a way that wasn't either a sociopathic asshole or lolsorandumb
>>
>>49546392
Then you have / have only had bad players
>>
>>49544387
>>49535323
second for cuthbert, as retarded as it is, i like his multiverse spanning powers
>>
>>49546405
CN player detected, get out of here Gary
>>
>>49546431
I'm the DM, dumbass.
My party is two CGs, an LN (actually leaning LG), and a CE.
They all get on because they're all functioning human beings that understand the game needs them to co-operate and I told them this before we started.
Probably also because I explained how I won't restrict alignments as long as they don't fuck with eachother and that Good / Evil isn't Perfect / Villain, so the Evil character is just selfish.
>>
>>49546453
Also, the CE player is a Female Tiefling Paladin who dual wields and was taken in by a cult that she killed off or some shit. Surprisingly, the player is actually okay.
And all but one of my players are first-timers.
>>
>>49546392
Chaotic neutral is by far the easiest alignment to roleplay in my opinion.
>>
I really hate my class and my character is boring.

Multi-classing wouldn't really help, just make me more unfocused.

My DM won't let me swap classes/characters, for sure. We're level 5ish now so we're too far along for that. He says I can multi-class, but that would just make me fall even farther behind my much better teammates.

I feel like my only real option is to off myself/ play dumb purposefully and get myself killed.

What do?
>>
>>49546405
>Then you have / have only had bad players
+1

It is the same reason a lot of people think Evil is synonymous with "backstabbing psychopath".

Chaotic neutral is a not-so-noble Robin hood. It is neither random, insane, nor pseudo-evil.

I am still sad that so few people can play a proper evil character, and even worse when GMs just ban them because they have had a few bad experiences. Don't ban it man, let them play it, and then ban THEM if they are being ass holes with it. Otherwise our lovely concepts of the evil and morally bankrupt characters who kills and commits evil deeds so their friends doesn't have to, or the guy with the "the end justifies the means" mentality. People seem to forget that these alignment can have close friends, and often only got to any position of power BECAUSE OF those friends.
>>
>>49546497
Just slit your throat and reroll.

Not letting someone play a different character because they're not having fun is stupid.
>>
>>49546497
say what the character is in that blogpost and better ideas than "lel kill yourself after you kill yourself" will probably come easier
>>
>>49546497
Do it like a functional human being? Tell that to your DM, tell him that there is really no point in not letting you retire your current character, since you will kill him anyway if you can't.

If you DM doesn't see to reason then it time to leave the table. He's obviously self-absorb who won't let you ruin "his story", or he is sadist and like to see you struggle. Either way there are better way for you to invest your free time.
>>
>>49537575
Where are the toilets?
>>
>>49535323
Favourite god in my setting is the Laughing Stranger, the god of schadenfreude, the little man, and petty revenge.

When some pompous nobleman falls off his horse, you pray to the Laughing Stranger. He's basically Smug Pepe: Pantheon Edition. His clerics are all of the trickery domain in my 5e domain, and when he's worshipped in public they try to focus on the facet of him that says:
Nobody is above mockery, and even the highest can be brought low by laughter.

Basically, don't get too full of yourself, try to maintain good humour, and laugh at those more powerful than you when fate, karma and chance find them at a disadvantage.
>>
>>49546585
If you laugh at the noble he buys your house, rapes your wife and enslaves your children before havibg you thrown in debtors prison
>>
Anyone got a high res copy of the redbrand hideout for players? Planning a roll20 campaign and it's the only high res map the mega didn't have. Also what happened to the LMoP map zip that was in there?
>>
>>49546497
>I really hate my class
What class is it?

It sounds like the main issue is the class. Depending on the issue, that is fixable.

As a guy who GMs 80% of the time, if someone isn't doing so hot, I throw them a bone. Like the ranger who got a collar that granted his dog pet a +2 to all attributes, and a quiver where the arrows inside can transform according to his will (so the bog standard arrows are not only always mastercrafted, they can be silver arrows, fire arrows, poisoned arrows, etc, whatever he needs) so that he didn't stay too far behind the others, but could keep his character and make his class work.

This is especially important when you pick a "wrong" option, like blade lock or something.

And most GMs will listen if the difference between you and the rest of the players is big enough that it causes issues.
>>
>>49546650
You know this didn't happen right? by the 13th century pretty much every European country had their equivalent of the Magna Carta.
>>
>>49546485
Honestly, it requires a lot of impartiality that a lot of people can't display. Chaotic Good comes much more naturally to people.
>>
>DM'ing
>two players their first ever campaign
>both roll fighters
>one bow fighter and the other a melee
>they need a healer so i make a cleric for them and i play him.
>he sticks behind and heals, only very rarely piping in and talking about things that they might miss.

>sadly he died
>they asked if i could make them a Paladin this time.
Now i don't actually know how should i make a DM controlled party member.
How should you control a character like that?
>>
>>49546951
You could always let them control the paladin, and then maybe introduce a cleric as well so each player gets something else to control.
In this case just roll up the character like normal from the PHB
>>
>>49546497
Depending on your character, you might be in a brilliant position to multi-class.

Usually 5 levels in a class is the best build for a multi-class.

>>49546506
Lawful evils are the best.
>>
>>49546951
I wouldn't recommend it, they should hire a cohort; cohorts follow orders issued by players, but they're controlled entirely by the DM.
>>
Hey dudes. I'm running a game for some friend and was lookng for tips on encounters. Basically how many encounters is good for an adventure, and how many is good for a session. I know it all depends on the group, but I'd like to see what you guys do, at least as a frame of reference while i'm still messing about with what works.
>>
>>49547491
DMG says 6 to 8 medium encounters per day but id advise against a per day schedule and only use that information when building dungeons. Also keep in mind it expects 2 or 3 short rests a day.

As for encounters per adventure it really just comes down to what you want to accomplish. If they are fighting kobolds youd expect smaller easier encounters with traps thrown in when it makes sense. Where as hunting an ettin is likely only going to be 1 big encounter. Id strongly recommend focusing more on making good fun encounters rather than trying to meet a quota, throw in terrain and problem solving and you can make a single bandit encounter into the coolest thing ever.
>>
>>49547601
I understand what you're saying. Perhaps a rephrase for my question is in order. How do you fill a session? Using the Ettin hunt as an example. I don't exactly want them to get the job, roll survival, track the bitch down, then fight it real good. How do I make the overall adventure more exciting? I spose it depends on the players. Maybe have places it's been sighted so they can plan a trap, or follow it to a lair, or something.
>>
My ww1 setting is coming along. The balance issues presented by guns are confounding me though.

Would it be unrealistic to just transcribe the damage rolls from melee weapons to ranged weapons, make them Dex based, and give them minimum ranges?

>>49547491
The answer depends on how long long rests take. The dmg suggestions only make sense if you're running long rests that last a week IMO. Generally, I think 1 to 2 encounters a day works.
>>
>>49547667
Did you look at the firearms section in the DMG? (Page 268)
There may be something in there that you can adapt - especially if you modify the seige weapons to be gun emplacements.
>>
>>49547661
>add in gathering information, maybe the farmer who the ettin is stealing sheep from is in the farmers market
>maybe the guard have a reward on the ettin alive or someone was kidnapped making the situation more delicate
>maybe some ogres live in the mountains where the ettin is.

Admitedlt this would be a short adventure but provide some extra details and get the party roleplaying and come up with specific ideas to make the ettin interesting.
>>
File: 1352167331692.jpg (75KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
1352167331692.jpg
75KB, 500x380px
Looking for crunchy advice:

What's a good build for a war domain cleric concerning damage output? I'm not looking for optimization because of rollplaying, it's just that it's a lvl4 party with a sorcerer, rogue and monk and two of the players are new to pen and paper in general, so I tried to make the group more all-around by generating a minmaxed cleric.
>>
>>49535264
BIN-WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNN !!!1
>>
>>49548221
Greatswords and great weapon fighting. Maybe take some fighter levels.
>>
Cleric seems boring. Like it was the last class wizards was working on, so they rushed it. Then on publication day, they realized that you don't gain anything interesting from levels 11 to 19, and then maro walks in from the mtg department and informed the design team that it's fine, they've slacked off for years with magic with no consequences.

So how do we fix clerics?

Step one has to be getting rid of the stupid anti undead features, or making them general.
>>
Someone just linked this to me. I don't know much about map software. Is this good? Should I kickstart it or wait and see?
>https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hobbyte/dungeon-builder-an-isometric-map-maker-for-role-pl/description
>>
>>49548398
I'd sub out the 'call for aid' for some specific stuff, but personally I think they're fine. Spellcasting makes up for a lot of other class features.
>>
>>49548690
New thread.
Thread posts: 334
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.