[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 26

File: 1473286006188.jpg (265KB, 778x783px) Image search: [Google]
1473286006188.jpg
265KB, 778x783px
>New Sage Advice - Rules Answers: September 2016
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-september-2016

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Volo's Guide to Monster's Preview
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/VoloPreviews.zip

>UA Revised Ranger
September Unearthed Arcana - The Ranger, Revised:
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-ranger-revised

>Last Session:
>>49471441
>>
File: Mankey.jpg (203KB, 900x1238px) Image search: [Google]
Mankey.jpg
203KB, 900x1238px
Fuck posting right as a thread ends. :( Thoughts on my earth monk?

>>49482568
>>
>>49482586
I'm not sure about going monk/sorc, but your stat exchanges seemed alright to me. Maybe a bit powerful, but that remains to be seen.

Since the post was deleted:
Lose all monk speed bonuses.
AC = 10 + Con + Wis
Deflect Arrows uses Con instead of Dex, but cannot return fire.
>>
>>49482624
Yeah. I'm thinking of giving up slow fall as well, if anyone complains that he's too OP or specialized. He's supposed to be more like a monk-colossus. Why dodge when you can channel ki to make your skin iron-hard?

He obviously can't run on water and stuff like that. But he succeeds in being a monk without one of monk's main weaknesses: AC.
>>
>>49482586
I don't get why you'd go Sorc instead of Wiz.
>>
>>49482726
Wizard makes no RP sense. He's basically a monk who happens to manifest some powers due to bloodlines.

Also, I totally wanted access to draconic heritage to put his standing AC to 13 + 3 (Con) + 2 (Wis) = 18. With access to bonus shield, and ki patient-defense dodge actions.

What advantages would I gain from Wiz? Both INT and CHA are "bad" stats on monks.
>>
>>49482762
You only need 2 levels as a Divination Wizard to break the campaign, Portent is broken.
>>
>>49482762

Substitute bloodlines for divine favor and put your WIS to better use as a cleric.
>>
>darts are not monk weapons unless someone throws one at you in which case you can deflect them back for monk weapon damage

Yes this makes sense
>>
i'm a sorc who is pretty miserable as a sorc

level 4. want to multi-class, my stats are

8-16-14-12-10-18

what would you lads suggest? I was thinking rogue or warlock.

I just want something that gives me more options/utility. All I do now is blast stuff.
>>
File: benny.png (173KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
benny.png
173KB, 500x371px
>run first session of LMoP
>4 players
>two of them almost die to the first set of goblins
>huh, that shouldn't be a hard encounter, what gives?
>realise I gave them average HP at 1st level instead of max roll
Whoops.
I only even noticed when after I leveled them up to 2 a bit later and saw the "HP at first level" box again.
>>
>>49482909
They still shouldn't have had a problem, is the entire party fighters?
>>
>>49482792
Wow, that's nuts.
>>49482813
Any specific domain?

The main reason for sorc over wiz/clr is RP. I see what y'all mean, though.

>>49482884
I'm planning on having my monk genasi use his passive shape earth ability to create darts from dirt/mud for flavor, heh.

>>49482897
MONK OBVIOUSLY! But really, Sorc/Rogues are a classic. You could also do a paladin with some awesome sorc-esque deity and go finesse rapier-style, or something. Duelist who blasts shit.
>>
>>49482926
Highest HP dude was a Paladin.
The they had a Bard, a Rogue, and a Monk.
The Paladin and Rogue got hit by a few too many goblin arrows and almost went out of commission.
I should note these guys are all new and aren't exactly built optimally - most of them chose to not dump several mental stats as many players do for the sake of their character.
>>
>>49483038
>>49482926
Oh, and one of them (the rogue) had no CON bonus (they maxed their dex and had decent mental scores) so had 5 HP and was instantly knocked out in one shot.
Now I've fixed them they're doing great, they're really getting into combat tactics and also ways around combat - a party with three charismatic characters will do that.
>>
>>49483063
Hopefully you've informed them about crossbows and their uses.
>>
Why is making a character so fucking easier in this edition?
Holy shit it's glorious.
>>
>>49483078
Crazily enough the rogue was using their shortbow at the time, hiding in a tree (which I gave the attacks against them disadvantage for).
But yes, when they reached the Redbrand armory everyone without a long-ranged weapon (the monk and paladin had darts and javelins already) picked up a crossbow and a case of bolts.
>>
>>49483085
Don't worry, you get bored of the lack of mechanical and character depth pretty quickly, but that's when homebrew starts coming in.
>>
>>49483111
Speaking of, what are good homebrew options/inclusions?
>>
File: we just don't know.gif (760KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
we just don't know.gif
760KB, 250x251px
>>49483111
>lack of character depth
>a mechanical problem
>>
>>49483121
Matt Mercer's stuff gets generally recommended.
Personally I like some of Middlefinger of Vecna's stuff but a lot of people say it's broken / shitty / whatever.
>>
File: 1474073421243.jpg (23KB, 500x489px) Image search: [Google]
1474073421243.jpg
23KB, 500x489px
>>49483111
>His DM allows homebrew
>>
>>49483148
>His DM doesn't allow Unearthed Arcana
>>
>>49483147
I've only looked at Mercer's Gunslinger class, but I'm not a fan. It feels much more of a 3.x era class than a 5e one.
>>
>>49483111
3.5 Babby detected.
>>
File: shadowrun-grenades.jpg (121KB, 650x745px) Image search: [Google]
shadowrun-grenades.jpg
121KB, 650x745px
>>49483167
>3.5
>crunch
newfag detected.
>>
The production values on Curse of Strahd is really nice, wish all other supplements from other companies also involved such quality.
>>
>>49483165
That's because it's an adaptation of a Pathfinder class.
Take a look at his Bard College and Blood Hunter class (a lot of people recommended this was used to replace Ranger before the big rework) and see what you think of those.
>>
File: okay.gif (2MB, 540x303px) Image search: [Google]
okay.gif
2MB, 540x303px
>>49483184
>my system has more autistic number crunching so it's better
Okay.
>>
>>49483147
>>49483165
>>49483209
Now that the revised ranger has been released, is there any reason to take his blood hunter class? (apart from evoking that Bloodborne flavor)
>>
>>49483226
Well, that's one reason.
I guess if you really look at it the flavour and mechanics are actually very different to even Hunters or Deep Stalkers, so if you prefer the BH then that's reason enough to take it.
Some people say it has Witcher vibes (I don't know anything about the series though).
Personally it reminds me a bit of the DA Grey Wardens.
>>
>>49483223
I'm just saying only people new to the hobby think 3.5 was crunchy, not that it's better.
>>
>>49483253
It's all relative.
Crunchy peanut butter is crunchy compared to smooth peanut butter, but not when you compare it to a fistful of dry autumn leaves.
I'm taking shitty food metaphors above and beyond, this is an art form.
>>
>>49483253
Actually I never mentoned "crunch". I am implying that faglords who want to "optimize" with a homebrew class/race, or better yet, a homebrew multiclass, are 3.5 turbo-autists who don't grasp what makes a character fun or memorable for regular people.

I could care less if you want to fiddle around with convoluted mechanics in your theory-craft non-campaign.
>>
>>49483314
>I was introduced to D&D through critical roll
The post.
>>
>>49483209
I've had a look at Blood Hunter and I like the idea of spending hit dice for benefits - it's design space that official 5e stuff hasn't really tapped yet - but the class is messy and I wouldn't use it without adjustment.

>>49483226
>>49483248
I think it's intended to invoke all of those things.
>>
>>49483253
What are you smoking?
>>
I remember seeing a 4 Elements quick-fix, the general gist was "reduce all ki costs for the subclass by 1".
However it had a specific note on Fangs of the Fire Snake, which has a two-part cost of 1 point two times.
IIRC they made 1 part (damage or reach?) free and you pay 1 ki to do the other effect.
Anyone know which way round it was?
>>
>>49483111
>3.autism player upset there isn't a million skill ranks/feats to juggle

it was fun back in the day, at first. Now I never want to see that level of innane min maxing ever again.
>>
>>49483414
I would just give wot4e monks an additional 1 ki point per monk level, but those could only be used on the wot4e spell things and not any other ki feature (but you could still spend normal Ki on those wot4e spell things)

Call it "Elemental Ki" points or something.

tell me if that's retarded, I think it'd work. wot4e needs some love
>>
>>49483535
?

Minmaxing in 5e isn't any better just different, people discovered the most optimal builds within weeks.
>>
What are the most optimal builds in 5e?
>>
How are folks finding 5e?
How is it turning out in your eyes?
>>
>>49483624
if you think there is anywhere near as much potential or need to min-max in 5e as there was in 3.splatbook you're retarded senpai
>>
>>49483648
It's the best edition of D&D and my favorite RPG overall.
>>
>>49483648
Tried the starter set, a week later I ordered the DMG and the PHB.
>>
>>49483624
The big thing about 5e and optimization is how little it matters. The most minmax optimal build for a given class, isn't that much more powerful than an average 'theme' build for that given class.

Not to mention that most min/max silliness is handled by not allowing multi-classing, or at least restricting it to story driven changes rather than power build planning.
>>
>>49482930

He's a bit short of a paladin multiclass without burning 3 ASIs.

>>49482897
I would recommend rogue or warlock. The Tome/Book of Shadows would give you a fair bit of nifty rituals for utility, and the Chain's super familiar also comes with a fair bit of fun.

Rogue would turn you into a bit more of a sneaky skillmonkey, but wouldn't be too shabby.
>>
>>49483650
I mean you don't actually play 5e right? because we just discussed in this very same thread a ability that effectively lets you always succeed save-or-die spells at level 2.
>>
>>49483679
>>49483700
Could you go further into that?
>>
File: willy wonka.jpg (32KB, 239x325px) Image search: [Google]
willy wonka.jpg
32KB, 239x325px
Why is based Mosley the OP, lad?
>>
Any got good advice on how to play a warlock/rogue crossing pact of the blade and arcane trickster?
AC17 and 64 HP, but I didn't want to be a basic blast-chucker. So I'm currently relying on combining Armor of Agathya with Dark One's Blessing, as well as Vampiric Touch to keep my health up. Thirsting Blade for two attacks, with sneak attack on one of those attacks. Mire of the Mind for crowd control; One with Shadows for escape key. Also have Mirror Image, Sleep and Disguise to keep out of direct combat focus. Feasible? Recommendations?
>>
>>49483648
As I have said before, it plays like I remember 2e playing back in the day.

I really like it. I miss the 'kits' from 2e, and that is really about it. Easily my favorite edition, though I likely still have more time playing 2e.

Running a 5e campaign now, mostly newish players. Runs smooth, no problems from them.
>>
File: fey_lamia.jpg (51KB, 900x660px) Image search: [Google]
fey_lamia.jpg
51KB, 900x660px
Have your players ever faced a lamia? How did it go?

There's a fey lamia with Magic Resistance that my players might choose to destroy, they're five with levels 3-4.
>>
>>49483648
>How is it turning out in your eyes?
Quality capsized after Wotc laid of half their D&D department, at this rate Mike Mearl will be the only person left working on D&D material by 2018.
>>
File: strider.jpg (39KB, 960x404px) Image search: [Google]
strider.jpg
39KB, 960x404px
Did they fix the Ranger?
>>
I'm starting a game this coming weekend, but I've never actually played 5e before. What classes actually have fun mechanics?
>>
>>49484060
The rework looks better than the PHB version to be sure, but there's some issues with the beast companion. Namely the fact that any class can take a 3-level dip in ranger and get a pet fighter that scales with your character level, not class level. It's fair to assume that, while your proficiency bonus and ASIs are shared by your companion, the bonus hit points per level were meant to be your Ranger level. Do this and it seems balanced enough.
>>
>>49483904

Your implying Mearls works on anything at all. He seems mostly to steal ideas from reddit, throw them at the player base for playtesting and in UA and puts his name on it.
>>
>>49484173
Seriously, what the actual fuck is with some of the shit in UA?
>>
File: 1466104741909.jpg (23KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1466104741909.jpg
23KB, 480x480px
>>49484113
>The big thing about 5e and optimization is how little it matters
>Namely the fact that any class can take a 3-level dip in ranger and get a pet fighter that scales with your character level, not class level
>>
>>49484179
UA is for player feedback so they can try to determine what players want and like then allegedly they apply this to future released content. Who da fuck asked for a book of queer monsters(Volo)??
>>
>>49483165
That's because Mercer is most comfortable with 3.pf games. The show itself is not run very much like a 5e game ala Chris Perkins.
>>
>>49484226
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/july-survey

>The next most popular tier of races includes catfolk, devas, githyanki, githzerai, gnolls, half-giants, hobgoblins, kender, kobolds, lizardfolk, pixies, and revenants.
>>
>>49483253
Name five crunchier systems.
>>
So /5eg/, I have a problem.
I really, desperately want to play a purple dragon knight. my character is already a statesman focused on keeping his fellow party members alive. my dm has resonable leeway with house rules, so I was wondering how you would fix it? as it stands battle master is just more interesting to play.
>>
>>49483724
>save or die
Kek
>>
>>49484249
FATAL
Shadowrun
GURPS
HERO
Phoenix Command
>>
>>49482567
So why is OPs picture of a fascist leader?
>>
>>49484246
The art preview for Volo looks like they were drawn at a gay pride parade in Brazil.
>>
>>49484249
Palladium
GURPS
Shadowrun
Traveller
Exalted

That was fun.
>>
>>49484263
FATAL is a meme, and GURPS isn't crunchier.
>>
>>49484204
you understand it is a playtest/ua thing, right?
>>
>>49484287
Traveler isn't crunchier either.
>>
>>49484297
GURPS can become incredibly crunchy outside of the "default" rules (basically nobody uses the default magic system for instance).
>>
>>49484204
The creature is not even 1/4 of a fighter, and is pandering to cancerous Ranger fags who are never happy their class isn't ridiculously strong enough and complains about it being too strong at the same time.
>>
>>49484316
Have you ever played 3.5? It has rules for everything such that a DM can reach for the associated splat and use a series of terrible rules that are typically convoluted.
>>
There's no arguing 3.5 is in the top 1-3% of games in terms of crunch.

Even 5e is in the top 30-50%.
>>
>>49484371
That's a pretty useless made up statistic Anon, Monte Cuck releases a new rules lite system every 6 months.
>>
>>49484267
Really? Haven't seen that. Can you link me to it?
>>
>>49484445
>>Volo's Guide to Monster's Preview
>http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/VoloPreviews.zip
>>
What are some motifs or themes an insect druid's subclass should have?

I'm brainstorming here, and so far I've decided to add more insect monster blocks, and at a certain level allow the druid to transform into swarms.

Something with poison seems appropriate.
>>
>>49484474
Nah, go weirder. Play up the hivemind angle - telepathy like a GOO Warlock, but also affecting vermin.
>>
>>49484347
All the rules and shit in the splat are options. The biggest problem is that most DMs are huge fucking pussies now and don't limit book sources or tell the players "No".
>>
>>49484470
What do those have to with queer whatsoever? The flail snail sounds fun, at least.
>>
>>49484495

The style is highly flamboyant. If you like that shit go ahead. I won't be buying the book. I'll download a PDF and use the stats but fuck the shittier art than what they already use.
>>
>>49484474
Something like Beastmaster, but with a swarm companion?
>>
>>49484509

Stop projecting. The art is pretty tame.
>>
>>49484509
I would have said 'fabulous', but yeah.
>>
>be me, the DM
>players are a Pali, a Eldritch Knight and a Barbarian
>players are in a dungeon
>need to escape
>find a sentient sword that evolves with the user and unlocks more powers
>Barb: "Fuck it, I don't wanna"
>Pali: "Meh..."
>EK: "..."
>put the sword in a bag
>escape the dungeon
>go to nearest village.
>NPC inspect the bag
>NPC: "I will pay you for this sword"
>Pali: "Nop, I don't sell it"
>NPC: "800gp"
>Pali; "Fuck off man""
>proceeds to kill the NPC

I should I even stay awake to prepare this sword.
>>
Hey there, anons. Race-building guy back again repeating his inevitable request for criticisms and suggestions as to which race to tackle next.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

For those who'd rather not poke around and try to figure it out, here's the direct list of races I need to get written up:
Pterran
Bladeling
Githyanki
Githzerai
Fey'ri
Rogue Modron
Hamadryad
Satyr
Huldra
Dust Genasi
Rain Genasi
Magma Genasi
Blight Genasi
Smoke Genasi
Tanuki
Mujina
Kawauso
Bakeneko
Itachi
Tengu
Spellscale
Vyrloka

Criticisms brought up in the last thread:
* Racial feats are near-universally overpowered; need help toning those down.

* Many races are either bland, underpowered or both - need help boosting them up. Finding more "fluffy" racial traits and switching out the boring "free proficiency" skills is definitely on the list.

As an aside, could really use help figuring out where to go with the Spellscale and Yokai races. The former in particular... I wonder...

Maybe go for a subrace mechanic based on Draconic Ancestry, and give 'em damage resistance, spell-like abilities and possibly other features based on canon dragons? Because, honestly, the old Blood Quickening mechanic probably wouldn't work in 5e and was kind of bland back then anyway?
>>
>>49484509
That seems arbitrary. Not liking art isn't a very good excuse to pirate something you would otherwise buy.

Which makes me think you wouldn't have bought it anyways. So why are your acting like your crappy opinion is a loss for wotc?
>>
>>49484509
It's okay to be gay, anon. Don't project your self-hate on to standard fantasy art.
>>
>>49484542
I learned the hard way, never try to tailor custom loot for the pcs. They'll gladly toss everything you give them aside, and focus on a set of fishing hooks instead.
>>
>>49484470
>Second Image is a gold Kirin
Hype as fuck, just concerned about what its type is. Are Kirin considered Dragons, or Celestials?
>>
>>49484542
>Pali; "Fuck off man""
>proceeds to kill the NPC
Which oath was the pali? I'm generally a very liberal DM, but that shit sounds very fall-worthy.
>>
Is there an easy way to convert monsters from 3.5 to 5e? I want to use inevitables in the campaign I'm running.
>>
>>49484543
I thought you already took care of Vryloka?

Anyway, Both Gith races please. I need my dragon-riding space pirates.
>>
>>49484639
if you get a good conversion, I could use those too
>>
>>49484651
Whoops, yeah, I did, sorry, must have missed that in the copy-paste list. Anyway, I'll try and get the Giths done when I can, real life is getting a little intrusive.
>>
>>49484639
>>49484654
http://marklenser . com/5econverter/
>>
>>49484542
> Get sent off to kill a Hob goblin general and his little circus
> Tempest Cleric, Fighter, Ranger, Sorcerer, and a Monk
> Fight our way through the place to the Hob goblin
> Bring him to his knees
> DM starts his monologue
> Cut his head off mid sentence
> DM grimaces
In our defense we did try to reason with the Hob goblin and he attacked us first
>>
>>49483717
>No multiclassing
>PHB races only
>No Homebrew
>No EE
>No feats

Good luck 3.faggots
>>
>>49483648
It is nice that there is so little content because that means DM's will allow or create 500% more homebrew than before(I started 2e, played every edition including 3.p with homebrew, but it was always a struggle to get DM's to allow homebrew. When I DM'd I okayed every not stupid OP thing and it was great)
>>
>>49484491
Right, which is identical to the issues GURPS has.
>>
>>49484639
Could it be easier to re-tool existing monsters and just do whatever?
>>
I'm thinking of tapping into my inner weeaboo and making a Samurai archetype for the fighter and a Ninja archetype for the rogue. Should I?

The Samurai would be a proper mounted archer.
>>
Is there a player race that relies on a lack of sight? So something with blindsight or tremor sense?
>>
>>49484898
Make the mounted archer a barbarian archetype.
>>
>>49484921
>samurai
>barbarian

I suppose I could make a Mongol archer barbarian and make the fighter archetype a dual-wielding samurai, even though it's not that accurate.

I forgot way of shadows monk is a thing, so I'm gonna skip the ninja.
>>
>>49484898
Ninja isn't really needed, monk has that covered.

Ask yourself this; what do you hope to accomplish with the Samurai archetype that the Battlemaster wouldn't work fine for?

What would distinguish a Samurai from a different archetype? Proficiency in a shitty weapon only used to kill cloth-wearing peasants?
>>
>>49484956
I was intending to make it a mounted archetype; warhorse companion that scales with your level, sort of like a ranger's companion but less combat-focused on its own. Fighters are already proficient in the required weapons katana = longsword, but mounted combat isn't really supported save for, what, one feat?
>>
>>49484543
>>49484651
Okay, sorry for the delay, Gith-requester, but the first drafts of both races are up. I really had to get a bit creative with these two because the actual races in the MM are... well, honestly, they're kind of bland.
>>
>>49484740
I think you defeated the strawman very handily.
>>
>>49484989
I feel like the reasoning behind not a lot of mounted combat rules is because most games don't have room for mounted combat. No room for horseriding in dungeons, etc. But if you wanted to make a niche archetype, I don't see why you shouldn't. Might I suggest however a more general "mounted combat" archetype that could very easily be fluffed as as samurai, so you don't get stuck creatively.

Also there's a homebrew supplement whose name escapes me, but it's all Asian stuff including character options and there may very well be a samurai in there to look at. I saw it linked in an older 5eg, so it may be in the mega.
>>
>>49484637
My Paladins kill npc's all the time and I never fall
>>
>>49482567
Is drow darkvision OP?
I literally cannot understand how disadvantage on perception rolls in sunlight balances such a useful passive
>>
>>49485059
The more general archetype is probably the better bet. Something that works for a samurai, a mongol archer, a jousting knight, etc.
>>
>>49484509
Whatever, fag
>>
>>49484989
The only real "mount" related feature that comes to mind is the paladin spell. A crown paladin would probably be pretty close to what you're going for really, but I could understand if certain aspects of it put you off (off the top of my head a lack of class feature synergy with bows would kind of fuck up the samurai thing in my head at least)
I think a mounted fighter is a good base for an archetype though
>>
Is it considered an evil act for a bard to stand outside warlock's crypt and play his dulcimer for the undead to enjoy?
>>
>>49485073
Dependent on campaign. A lot take places in deep, dark dungeons. Yet, a good bit take place during the day.
>>
>>49485159
I think part of being undead means you're immune to enjoying things
>>
>>49485073
Well the deepstalker archetype for old/new ranger gets the same darkvision with no penalty

and warlocks can get an even better darkvision that also works v magical darkness and shit

so naw

oh and also drow have disadvantage on attack rolls too.

based WotC trying to dissuade faggots from going Drow
>>
>>49485172
>Inbefore Depends on the setting
>>
>>49485187
>>49485159
Depends on the setting.
>>
why are humans so fucking bad?

variant human's great yea, but man what were they thinking with normal human?
>>
>>49484559
I get pirated shit before I buy but I like owning books. I like having a physical copy to hold and read or just to look through. I have issues with reading for more than an hour or so off a computer screen and I don't retain information as well when I read off a screen compared to a printed page. If I need to read something 2 or 3 times in a book to learn it ir takes me 5 or 6 times off a computer screen. So I would have bought the book . I may change my mind if isn't all queer looking like the preview just to complete the set. I really did like the special edition cover till I saw the previews. I'm not a fan of the art in the core books but its tolerable.
>>
>>49485269
It's not terrible depending on how stats are calculated, but a complete lack of anything other than ability scores is still just too boring even by human standards. They should have given an extra skill on top of that or something. A plus 1 in the (probably up to) three stats you care about and no dark vision is really off putting to me
>>
>>49485269
My guess? WotC looked at 3.5 and saw that, due to the bonus feat, Humans were basically the best choice for anything that wasn't race-specific. So they nerfed them. Perhaps a bit too hard, in my opinion.

+1 to everything in a game where specialization is king is not worth it. Consider +2 to two abilities of your choice and 2 skill proficiencies instead. Humans can still do damn near anything, but aren't all generalists by design. No idea if it'd be overpowered.
>>
>>49485009
Followup:
for Githyanki, there is no such thing as "psionic" damage. I'm guessing you meant psychic damage. Also I wouldn't include Pain Becomes Strength, it just feels like 1 feature too many.

For Githzerai, Shield of Will is both written poorly, and steps on the toes of class features. Change it to allowing them to cast Mage Armor on themselves once per long rest without components.
>>
>>49485307
Yes, Psionic was a mistake; Psychic Damage was meant to be the same. As for Pain Becomes Strength, it was supposed to help keep the Githyanki as strong as the Githzerai.

Speaking of which, Shield of Will is literally lifted directly from the Githzerai's MM entry. Though maybe Mage Armor 1/short rest for "free" might be a better way to handle it...
>>
File: 1459585732678.jpg (529KB, 860x1299px) Image search: [Google]
1459585732678.jpg
529KB, 860x1299px
>>49485297
>>49485300

Even if you're MC'ing into four different classes all with MAD I don't think the +1 to everything really means shit

It's just bad senpai. I'm just looking through the PHB and after seeing Halflings getting to re-roll all nat 1s and all the stuff every race gets save for humans, it just seems weird. It's like they didn't even try to make the base human anything worthwhile

and then they go and make variant human still boring, but with the ability to get a feat which is fucking amazing.

I was thinking this -

+2 to any one stat of your choice, +1 to any stat of your choice. Can't be the same.

Two skill proficiencies from any skill.

Human Empathy - You have advantage on Persuasion checks made on other Humans.

Human Diversity - Pick a sub-race of Human, provided below. You gain the benefits listed from your chosen sub-race. These sub-variants recognize the genetic and cultural diversity that Humans develop from living with different cultural influences and in different climates.

Then it'd have different areas - Arid, Mountainous, Cold (don't know the right world for an icy climate), Coastal, Grassland, etc

You know I wanna do this in my campaigns now. You guys wanna help me figure out good feats for the different sub-races and figure out the different sub-races themselves?

I think sub-race might not be the best word to use, but I dunno what'd be better. I'm tired.
>>
File: 1437397861189.png (186KB, 298x423px) Image search: [Google]
1437397861189.png
186KB, 298x423px
>>49483148
>his DM doesn't allow homebrew
>he is upset by homebrew
>>
>>49485450
Don't like human empathy much, maybe it's just the games I've been in but the majority of NPCS are human and persuasion advantage 99% of the time is going overboard.

To simplify the last part, you could pick pick region your human is from and get a cut-down version of favored terrain. Advantage on con checks related to exploring, no difficult terrain, something like that.
>>
>>49485450
Just an any +2, +1 and two skills would be enough if you ask me. It wouldn't be the best, but it gets the whole adaptive/quick learner concept down and would still be good for every class

I've never played a game without feats, so fortunately I don't really need to care about non-variant human, but in the back of my mind I'm kind of screaming when I hear other players actually considering it over the feat version, but it's their call to make, so whatever
>>
>>49485511
If you roll or buy a lot of odd stats, it could be good. Two or more +1 to modifiers would be tempting to leave a feat for.
>>
>>49485442
MM entries shouldn't be adapted 1-1 for PC races, because many of them have class features already in their stat-blocks.
>>
What do I have a player do when his half orc barbarian got Carbonited from hugging a demonic ice entity

It's reversible but could easily take a few sessions to resolve. Not quite enough to warrant a new character, but I'm obviously not going to let a frozen, unconscious block have any real sway over the game.

Thoughts?
>>
>>49484249
1st edition
2nd edition
3rd edition
4th edition
5th edition
>>
File: 1407734737389.jpg (53KB, 474x372px) Image search: [Google]
1407734737389.jpg
53KB, 474x372px
>>49484542
>give players a powerful magic weapon custom tailored to their abilities
>"meh"
>don't use it/toss it aside/destroy it
did you remember to fucking murder them? I've had this done to me when I GM'd a game and this shit enraged me more than anything else in the hobby
>>
>>49485509
>>49485536
>maybe it's just the games I've been in but the majority of NPCS are human

that could be an issue I guess. In my games though I keep it pretty varied

My whole intent with this is to make Humans more unique as a choice. When you play a Halfling or a Dwarf you get racials that change, atleast in some way, how you play the character

Human's don't get shit captain, and 9/10 times variant humans will only be used for taking great weapon master sharpshooter polearm master etc, choices that only change combat because people still suffer from the 3.5 min-max mentality
>>
>>49485614
I understand, I think a new variant of human is a fine idea, that was just my issue with that particular part of your suggestion.

I'd guess that the majority of people are playing adventures, so maybe check the ratios of npcs in those to see if it's worth taking that into consideration.
>>
>>49485725
I feel like it's a standard enough theme in fantasy for humans to be the most common race by a significant margin that it's a legitimate issue with the potential trait. I'm having a hard time thinking of a replacement along similar lines though.
>>
>>49485725
The only published adventure for 5e that I've played is LMoP, and that's in progress

I think you may be right about there being lots of Humans though. Sildar (whose fucking dead in the campaign because our GM is a dick, I know he's a big deal as I read through some of the adventure back when the starter kit first came out), Barthen, pretty much every important NPC in Phandalin is Human

So I think Human Empathy giving advantage might be a bit much for sure.

Maybe it allows you to double your proficiency bonus on persuasion checks (if you're proficient in persuasion, otherwise it just gives you proficiency on persuasion vs humans) on other humans? at high level though that may end up even better than advantage
>>
>>49485614
>choices that only change combat because people still suffer from the 3.5 min-max mentality
What? If I'm given a choice between a combat ability and a non-combat ability I'm going to choose the combat ability. DnD is mechanically fully focused on combat.
It's ridiculous to complain that people aren't taking feats like Dungeon Delver or Linguist in a game like this, or attribute it to some kind of past era mental leftovers.
>>
>>49485571
Maybe let him play some NPC that is currently aiding the party. Consider using some weird, intelligent monster. For example, I read a campaign report in which the players bought over a yugoloth mercenary (a mezzoloth, I think) and since there was a relative of one of the players just watching, the DM let him play the thing.

If you do this, I'd suggest using something of a CR equal to 1/3 of the party level.
>>
>>49485843

solving puzzles and rp encounters is infinitely more interesting than killing goblins for xp and silver pieces

feats and stuff that offer new ways to use your character is infinitely more fun that "you can do more damage"
>>
>>49484265
Tangentially related. D&D is gay, Fascism is gay. Its like poetry, it rhymes.
>>
>>49485567
Point. Shield of Will has been changed to "Mage Armor 1/day but using Wis mod instead of Dex mod". Any other tweaks to the Giths that anybody suggests?

Also, any other racial requests from the list? Still just poking along, trying to conjure up the energy/inspiration to finish 'em off.
>>
>>49485879
'solving puzzles' tends to lead to PC frustration and the GM acting like a smug bitch because he doesn't want to just give away the answer but is making the hints so vague and cryptic that no logical conclusion can be drawn and the puzzle is unsolvable
the only feat that might help with solving a mental conundrum to begin with is the one that gives your character a perfect memory

I also hate bringing mechanical bonuses and checks into rp encounters because it turns it into something that you game instead of something that you play out
>>
>>49482567
I know these guy are fascists but it just screams
>"hey /b/, name our band"
>>
>>49486003
>Adolf Hanks and the /pol/ Patrol.
>>
File: 1452318975339.jpg (167KB, 433x600px) Image search: [Google]
1452318975339.jpg
167KB, 433x600px
Does an NPC know that it has been affected by Hypnotic Gaze after the fact, or if a wizard has attempted and failed to use it? Unlike Friends or Charm Person, it says nothing about knowing their opinion was altered, although they could potentially put it together if they were informed by an ally that they seemed to zone out.
>>
>>49482567
Playing curse of strahd as a player
any tips on what to do and what not to do and other shit you might feel relevant?
>>
>>49486359
don't fuck with the cartoonishly evil hags
>>
>>49486359
>To do
Be cautious and take your time. Follow up on leads as quickly as you can.
>Not to do
Think you can just march up to Ravenloft.
>>
>>49486419
Disregard this fag and sleep with them. You get crazy cool powers and you can literally fuck the ugly out of them.
>>
I'm back again. Any advice on building Bill Nye?
>>
>>49486471
Transmuter wizard with scholar or guild artisan background.
>>
>>49486471
Be a character of any race and class whose background is about presenting truths about the world in an entertaining way that people can understand.
>>
>>49486471
Transmutation Wizard with the Entertainer background.
>>
>>49486532
This
>>
>>49486532
>>49486481
I was thinking wizard, why do you guys say transmutation.
>>
DMing my first game tomorrow night, /tg/. Wish me luck!

Need ideas though: I'm going to have my players barely survive an explosion from a Balor dying and I want them to be marked somehow but I don't want to just rip straight from Berserk.

What else can I do? What would be coolest without being too trite?
>>
>>49486438
If strahd invites the group to dinner, should I ask him what kind of attire is appropriate? Is it customary to bring a gift and a meal of your own to contribute?
>>
>>49486610
It's the closest thing in the game to chemistry or alchemy on a large scale.
>>
>>49486610
It feels the closest to alchemist in terms of features, therefor feels the closest to a scientist

Probably anyway. I wasn't one of them
>>
>>49486610
Transmutation is the tradition that fucks with physics the most. Intertia is a property of matter, until someone casts Haste.
>>
I need stats for giants as a pc race.
Should be balanced.
>>
>>49486636
Good luck!
If you're sure none of your players have read berserk (or wouldn't care) just go for it. If not, give them magical burn scars that can only be removed by something like remove curse. If you wanna be super cool make a table with locations and sizes of scars for them to roll on.
>>
>>49486652
Totally ask. He'll only really ask for one gift though and he'll tell you too. Dress formally in dark clothing.
>>
>>49486772
Anything bigger than a goliath would have larger weapon dice, which in 5e means doubling them if I remember right.
Unless you want to throw in an excessive amount of "Yeah, but you're a weaker version of ____ because fuck you" I can't really imagine getting around OP stuff.
>>
>>49486772
Goliath, replace stone endurance with a relevant resistance, replace mountain born with a 1d8 rock attack. Maybe the rock scales with level.
>>
>>49486797

My cousin and my wife are also big Berserk fans. That's half my party >:| We're all so up-front about talking about it what with the new anime and game that it would cross from being perceived as an 'homage' to 'shamelessly ripping off' in a way that would ruin any amount of mystique it might otherwise have held.

I feel like a magic rune or something would be cool but I just can't think of an interesting thing to do with that.
>>
>>49486995
What are you wanting the mark to do exactly? Same thing as in berserk, some sort of indicator of doom and bleeds in the presence of demons? Demons identify them by it, trying to get revenge for the fallen balor?
>>
>>49487039

Well I don't want to do anything with it immediately. I'm planting story seeds to grow later.

They start out on a boat, get #rekt, and then wash up on shore on an isolated island and revived by a goblin witchdoctor to take part in goblin bullshit on the island. I have time to figure out stuff in the background while they deal with goblin-mess.

It can be a curse mark, it could be the mark of the 'chosen,' or the mark of people who are just fated to take part in some grand overall event sequence and not necessarily chosen heroes.

Could be anything, I just don't know enough about magical uses or creatures or wizards or gods to think of cool ideas yet.
>>
File: circle.png (22KB, 600x608px) Image search: [Google]
circle.png
22KB, 600x608px
I'm new to 5th, but I like what I see. My problem is I traditionally love to play Abjurers. Is Abjuration any good? Most of the Arcane Traditions seem pretty bonkers, but Arcane Ward seems weak as shit compared to Minor Alchemy or Hypnotic Gaze. Any experience with this? Particular spells to look out for as an Abjurer in 5th?
>>
>>49484543
So, I was curious; aside from the interest in races to actually write next, anyone got any positive interest in the races I've already written?

I mean, it's okay if you think that it still needs refinement, I wouldn't be here if I didn't want that, but are there any races up that people are happy to see? Old oddities like Mystara's Aranea, Diabolus and Lupin, or things never touched in D&D before?
>>
>>49487141
abjuration spells range from godlike (shield/counterspell, I think absorb elements is abjuration but don't quote me) to meh

Arcane Ward is definitely one of the weaker level 2 tradition feats. If you're in a game where the DM doesn't ignore the wizard in the back then it could be ok. Being able to shield allies is cool.
>>
>>49487114
Well, I still like my magical burn scar idea, it could even turn into a rune once they find a way to magically get it removed/healed. But if you don't like that, go ahead with a rune- if the function of it isn't detailed yet, they may not make the connection. You can check the SKT book for symbols to steal.
>>
>>49487114

I just realised I might be able to put off thinking about it until later. I could have some plot moment where they encounter something plot-related later and it manifests then. I can procrastinate! Huzzah.
>>
So can a sorcerer without warcaster use a buckler? I'm unclear whether or not that's possible. Can I equip a buckler, keep my other hand free, and still use magic?
>>
>>49487190
There are no bucklers in 5e. All shields are shields, period.
>>
I feel like no. If you use the subtle spell metamagic, I think it removes the somatic component, so you don't need your hands.
>>
>>49487185

That'd be cool. Maybe it starts out as a cursed burn that they have to chase a mcguffin to fix, then it turns into a rune and grants a small boon or something.
>>
>>49487190
I assume you mean a shield

if you have another hand free absolutely, you don't need two hands free to cast spells

if you did the majority of classes would need warcaster to do anything

but sorcerers don't get shield proficiencies unless you're that favored soul

Also sorcerers are not so great, I'd suggest going wizard instead. I'm a sorcerer at level 4 atm and I really regret not just being a fucking wizard.
>>
>>49487185

Just realised I misread what you said and then said the same thing without realizing and presented it as my own idea
>>
>>49487190
There aren't specific shield types in 5e, so by default no, but you might be able to get creative with focuses in a way where that doesn't matter (divine focuses can just outright be put on shields, but I don't think that's normally true for arcane ones).
There is the matter of having shield proficiency in the first place, but I'm just assuming you're multiclassing or whatever
>>
File: roons.png (344KB, 968x584px) Image search: [Google]
roons.png
344KB, 968x584px
>>49487187
Procrastination is good. Oh look, somebody screenshot the runes for you to look at.
>>
>>49487265

You're pretty cool, anon.
>>
>>49486772
Please describe what you mean by balanced and describe your personal ideas of what balance in a ttrpg is.

Do you want a potential solution to playing a Large-sized race, which would have wildly different stats and implications from all current races, or do you want a copout race like the goliath that isn't a real giant but adheres to the status quo?
>>
File: 1395375047239.jpg (104KB, 638x826px) Image search: [Google]
1395375047239.jpg
104KB, 638x826px
>>49487183
Would it be too much/out of line to want to get proficiency bonus or wizard level added to the ward's HP? I'm not sure what is reasonable to ask my DM to supplement the Ward, especially when Illusion lets you outright ignore damage or the obvious power of Portent. I'm still glad to hear the school itself is still kicking - defensive wizardry is just so uncommon and I hate ubiquitous damage spells like fireball et all.
>>
What are good ways to fuck with strahd in-person?
I'm considering rolling to throw a bar of soap into his mouth mid-speech.
>>
>>49487279
I've been in a good DnD mood lately. My group switches between GMs/game systems regularly and we've been playing the cypher system the last couple weeks, it's alright but I miss running my game. Been passing the time trying out homebrewing and offering suggestions in these threads wishing I could put my players through it.
>>
>>49487291
you already get wizard level when you first create the ward

giving you wizard level + whatever on every abjuration casting would be insane.

Because other features are better doesn't make one feature bad, it's not a bad feature. If you want a different feature, play a different tradition.
>>
>>49487291
What level are you starting at, and your int score? Because the ward seems to basically double your HP for the first few levels and that's nothing to sneeze at.
>>
>>49487325
Book says "twice your wizard level + your intelligence modifier" which can be interpreted a couple ways, neither bad.
>>
>>49487336
The correct interpretation is 2(Wiz Level) + Int mod.
>>
>>49487141
Arcane Ward is very decent. I had an abjurer in my party recently, and she used some concentration spells, especially Hypnotic Pattern. Arcane Ward at 5th level should be 14 temp HP, which means the first hits you take cannot even disrupt your concentration. Basically you just use mage armor to create the ward and recharge it with shield. Besides, they're the best at disrupting spells, as they should be.
>>
>>49484543
question on the derro.

Derro Madness: You have Advantage on saves against being Charmed or Frightened, and Disadvantage on all other Wisdom saving throws.
Magic Resistance: You have Advantage on saves against spells and other magical effects.

so spell wisdom saves are just normal?
>>
Does a Warforged Druid turn into a Warforged version of creatures?
>>
Speaking of wizards, I'm having such a hard time deciding on my spells. I'm starting a game at 5th level as a gnome diviner, so far I think I'll have this:

Cantrips: Fire bolt, sword burst, minor illusion, prestidigitation, mending
1st level: Mage armor, shield, magic missile, feather fall, identify, detect magic, find familiar, alarm
2nd level: Invisibility, misty step, mirror image, rope trick
3rd level: Fireball, leomund's tiny hut

Any changes I should make? Playing SKT, by the way.
>>
File: 1397929194597.jpg (2MB, 1767x1211px) Image search: [Google]
1397929194597.jpg
2MB, 1767x1211px
>>49487325
>>49487326
>>49487336
Thank you all for your replies, I totally misconstrued the "twice spell level" ward refresh as the starting value as well, so starting at level*2+int is a shit tonne better than my initial impression. I still think that by 6th adding proficiency might keep it more competitive, but as it stands I'm very excited to bring my standard wizard out of the woodwork for a first foray into 5th, which looks so much cleaner and much more fun than 3.x alternatives.
>>
>>49487493
>warforged druid
That seems like an oxymoron since there's nothing natural about warforged.
>>
>>49487175
Oh, I just realised... I've been focusing mostly on the crunch, but, maybe I should take a step back and try writing up racial fluff instead? Or should I leave that until I have all of the races planned statted?

>>49487480
Ah... um... good question. I never really did figure out how to make the Derro work out well, and I forgot one version I had dreamed up that I was fairly happy with.

I'd say that in this case all Wisdom saves suffer Disadvantage, whether they're magically induced or otherwise.
>>
>>49487141
Abjuration lets you play a character who's extremely stacked defensively while still being a wizard, I recommend it.
>>
So what determines campaign/adventure bestiary? My adventuring location for my players is your typical temperate European medieval fantasy and as much as I wanna put Goblins/Kobolds in there, I'm still unsure what else to put so I can determine Random Encounter tables for the wilderness travels.
>>
>>49487628
I wanna say DMG has tables for different climates, but I may be thinking of like second edition.

Otherwise flip through that monster manual and mark down shit that makes you go "yeah, that'll work". Off the top of my head, wolves, bears, swarms of bats, ogres, ettins, giants, owl bears, undead, fit medieval countryside shit. Be sure to check CRs.
>>
>>49487687

Alright, have the MM on the desk so I'm doing that as I type.

Also, forgive me, but my mind is now thinking it like MMOs like WoW or your JRPG overworlds where certain "zones" have higher level monsters. Is it normal for me to let the starting area be a bunch of <CR1 monsters (with a couple of CR1 and the rare CR2) then as they travel around further, the randoms CRs grow? I am asking cause one, I don't want something like that to gate my players in their freedom to travel but at the same time, there is the sense of danger they must face.

I'm rather new with this creating my world and adventures and stuff so I'm just asking. Reason why EU medieval fantasy setting was my go-to since I can't think of anything more than that atm.
>>
>>49487596
>tfw mountain dwarf abjurer with tough
>>
>>49482567
>http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck
Might want to update the pastebin. Only hardcodex is still up, and dnd-spells is incomplete.
>>
OK, so Armour of Agathys. It's 5 temp HP, and you deal 5 damage as you lose the hit points. That's it right? Those HP don't regrow or anything? Seems a tiny bit underwhelming. What am I missing? Why aren't I whelmed?
>>
>>49487511
Well significant portions of them are made of wood, so you could play it up and just go full tree person
But I agree with you that's it's generally kind of stupid.
>>
>>49487758
It's a warlock-only spell and scales by 5 in damage and temporary hit points per spell slot level. Warlock spell slots scale up to 5th so that they're all at their max level, so you're getting up to 25 temporary hit points from a cast by 9th level. That full damage is dealt whenever you take damage from a melee attack *as long as you have the temporary hit points*, so if you take a hit for even 3 damage, that's still the full 25 being dealt as long as you have them.
>>
>>49487497
Prestidigitation and mending will probably never be used desu

I'd swap out detect magic for Chromatic orb, it's a great damage spell and I've literally never seen detect magic used, only thing I can think it'd be used for is like detecting a magical trap

do you need Rope Trick and Leomund's Hut? swap one or the other out, you will never use both in a day of adventuring.

Be glad you're not a Sorcerer, lad. A Sorc of the same level as you would only have like 6 spells known.
>>
>>49487758
It's a warlock only spell, so supposedly you're casting it at your highest slot level, and it scales decently.
>>
>>49487758
It scales really well when cast with higher level slots, since it deals more damage, and deals that damage every time you get hit until the temp HP are gone. Cast at 3rd+, it's worth is assuming you get it to trigger even twice.
>>
>>49487736
It may seem a bit video-gamey, but there's also logic behind it - more inhospitable areas breed tougher shit to fight. If you're feeling kind of cruel, you might throw the odd out-of-level monster into the mix for random encounters, as long as you provide a way to identify that it is a shitwrecker and a way to escape.

>>49487758
It almost doubles your HP, and gets better as you level. It'll never make you invincible, but guaranteed 25 damage is enough to make lots of things think twice about hitting you. And Hellish Rebuke will make them think three times.

Changing the subject, if I want my foppish Warlock to start with a cane or walking stick as his free simple weapon, how would you rule that? Mace? Improvised weapon (remember the phb says to treat it as a similar weapon)? Could I call it a rod and use it as both a weapon and an implement?
>>
>>49487777
>>49487795
>>49487803

Ohhh, shit. Right. Default up casting. I also did not recognise that it deals full damage each time, shit's rad. Thanks.
>>
>>49483343
>not being introduced to D&D through Community
>>
>>49487803
Cane I would stat as a mace, especially if it's got a metal head. I'd ask your DM if you could have it could as a non-magical rod as well.

A proper size walking stick would be a quarterstaff.
>>
>>49487803
Club. Let it be used as a rod, sure. Sounds fun.
>>
>>49487736
Yeah. People on here complain about that kind of stuff or think they're being clever going "so when I hit level three why do all the kobolds in the world disappear hurr" but it is not an issue. 99% chance once your party gets through an area they're never gonna go back, so who cares what the ecology is. If you want the monster progression to seem natural, the party can travel to a new land where the "beasts are more fearsome" or what have you. And don't worry about having to map out new towns and stuff when you make that happen, for a town to exist it's going to have certain things in it universally. When the party kills everything not-england has to offer and moves on to not-egypt to plunder tombs and shit, they show up to town and ask if there's a blacksmith and you say "of course, what do you want to buy?"
>>
>>49487736
The real world operates on the 'zone' level, just as much as MMOs and JRPGs do. Most predators avoid areas of human activity, unless they become injured or desperate for resources. A lone human may be easy pickings, but a group of humans mean death to the predator.

Well maintained roads, homesteads, towns, and the immediate surrounding landscape should be relatively safe for travel. You may encounter a lone wild animal of aggressive nature, a pack of feral domesticated animals, thugs, bandits, and the like.

The deep forest, the ocean, the desert, mountains, caves, underground.. Those locations that see little activity become your hotbed for higher difficulty critters. Places where travelers rarely go to upset the balance. The lich busy crafting his ritual of doom. The dragon that wakes from his slumber every other generation to reign terror for a short span. The orc warband preparing for a bloody invasion.
>>
>>49487860
>>49487862
I'll probably go the mace route, though I doubt it'll see much use since my bladelock will be a finesse fighter.

Which brings me to question 2: do I take green flame blade at level 1, or wait until after I've got my pact weapon at level 4?
>>
>>49487986
Isn't green flame blade kind of so-so as a cantrip until later levels?
>>
>>49487995
It's not too great, and almost inferior to making two attacks if Hex is up, but it gives options. I've decided my cantrips are gonna be that, eldritch blast, prestidigitation, and booming blade, though I'm not sure on the order (aside from EB at level 1 cause I'd be dumb not to, even if I hope to not rely on it).
>>
>>49488019
EB and Booming at 1st. I'd say pick up GFB 4th.
>>
So um speaking of monster encounter related shit, am I reading this right with the DMG's creating encounter guide concerning adjust monster XP threshold and difficulty?

It says that if I have 4 Goblins, that means their combined XP is 200XP. However, following the next step where I start applying the multiplier table (4 monsters = x2) for the adjusted XP threshold, the encounters XP would be 400XP. If players defeat all 4 goblins, do I award them the base combined XP of 200XP (Goblins having 50XP apiece) or do I award them the adjusted 400XP? Cause the way the DMG is written for the adjusting step, it's coming off as "Hey DM, this is not the monster's true XP value, it's just an assessment on how tough it could be!" so I'm not sure if I should be awarding 200XP or 400XP right here.

Additionally, am I correct in assuming that if the calculations above are applied, 4 goblins with adjusted XP threshold of 400XP is considered "Deadly" for Level-1 players? That is quite strange since while Lost Mines started with a rather tough Goblin ambush, my players seem alright with handling it than clawing out by the skin of their teeth.
>>
>>49487986
Green Flame Blade is great, but much less great for a bladelock. At 5th level you can take Thirsting Blade, that allows you to attack twice with your pact weapon. You will have to choose between using Thirsting Blade or Green Flame Blade when you attack at that point.

So with that said, go Green Flame Blade at 1 and hope your DM does not consider cantrips separate from spells for the purpose of spell replacement once you hit 5!
>>
>>49488051

The problem with level 1 is that 2 good hits from basically anything can kill a character and they have very little they can do about it.
>>
>>49488051
You give out XP based on the actual value of the monsters, not the adjusted encounter total. That's just a benchmark for how tough multiple targets with multiple actions will be.

That said, in my experience XP tends to trickle in for the early game, and players are often more ingenious than you'd think when it comes to tactics, so don't be afraid to tax them a little with harder encounters.

>>49488066
I'll ask about that. If it's a no go I might just forgo GFB entirely and pick up blade ward or something.
>>
Does anyone else feel that Lifedrinker is way too high level and should be given freely to bladelocks?
>>
>>49488090
Thirsting Blade should be the free one at level 5. Lifedrinker is kind of niche; it's fine at level 11, but it should probably add a bit more to your attacks. Like granting temp HP equal to necrotic damage dealt. Y'know, drinking their life and all.
>>
>>49488051
Sounds like you've got it exactly right.
You've also got the part right where CR doesn't really mean shit, players are capable of more than you think, especially if you let them roll for stats and they rolled well.

The book expects you to run, I think, 6-8 encounters per in-game day. It's a resource drain thing. Whether a "deadly" encounter means it can potentially kill a PC at the end of the day when the resources are all gone, or if it means they expect each deadly encounter to have the potential to kill a PC, or whether it's a meaningless term to describe raising difficulty levels, I don't know.
>>
>>49488051
You grant the party the unadjusted xp that the goblins are worth, ie 200xp. The adjusted xp value of 400xp is only used for the difficulty calculation of easy, normal, hard, or deadly to help with encounter design.

It is considered deadly because the goblins have about a 25% chance to hit with each attack. One hit from a goblin has a chance to KO any non-martial or non-gish class. On average a goblin will need two hits to reliably KO a gish or caster.

That is pretty scary stuff at level 1.
>>
Hiya /5eg/, maybe you guys could help me out? I recently just got into traditional games, and started with DMing a 5E game. This is why I'm asking you guys, in case that wasn't obvious. Like some sort of dumb person, however, my first game is one dm, one player, because I could only get one of my friends to play. It's been fine so far, but I'm worried about difficulty progression, throwing things at him that I think he could handle, only to find out that I vastly over-estimated the challenge. Does anybody have any advice, or would it easiest just to adjust things mid battle if things are going too south too quickly?
>>
>>49488101
That's also a nice idea. But I meant as a way to actually make melee attacks hold their own compared to eldritch blast.
>>
File: image.jpg (350KB, 1144x804px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
350KB, 1144x804px
Don't rock the boat.
>>
>>49488135
As the DM, it's always in your power to fudge dice rolls if things are going too far south. You may also want to consider giving your player a NPC cohort, depending on his class. A healer of some kind, or maybe someone who can pick up on skills the PC doesn't have. They don't really have to participate in combat all that much.

>>49488150
Probably not gonna happen, unless you can get 4 attacks per round with Hex up. At least the temp hp on hit thing would let a melee warlock actually survive a bit.
>>
File: 1439052436397.jpg (151KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1439052436397.jpg
151KB, 800x533px
Question about the ranger rework: Does it make beastmaster not shit?
>>
>>49488205
Yes. They're more survivable and eventually more powerful overall, while not hampering the ranger's personal action economy. They're not as front-loaded as the PHB beast master in terms of power though (no proficiency bonus added on top of their normal bonus for attack rolls).
>>
>>49488205
Yes. It's debatable that it's a little too good for multiclassing if the animal companion is meant to scale in certain ways with any character level
>>
>>49488252
Eh I don't mind since my group hardly multiclasses.
>>
>>49488135
You may want to consider allowing for hirelings or cohorts for your player to use. These you would design per the DMG, but allow the player to control. O just have the player create a secondary character to run. This will give the player more bodies to field in combat and allow for you to have a bit more design freedom with planning encounters. The CR system is not designed for one on one, it is designed for 3 or 4 on 1, so that makes gauging encounters extremely difficult by just CR.

To mitigate randomness, you can use the creatures average damage for attacks. When designing the encounters compare the creatures to-hit modifier to your player's AC and compare the creatures average damage to your player's HP total. If the creature has a high chance to hit and a high amount of damage, you may want to add some mitigating conditions to the creature. For example the creature is already wounded from a previous fight, or the creature is ill/poisoned. If you have 5 creatures with a 50% chance to hit the player and each creature will hit for 10% of the players health then the player has 4 rounds before they will die.

Keep in mind the reverse as well. How does the players to-hit and average damage compare to the creatures AC and hit points. If the player has a 25% change to hit and will deal 50% of a creatures health in damage, then that player needs to run really fast from those 5 creatures.

Be sure to play creatures as intelligent(?) beings that desire survival. A lone animal/beast or pack of animals/beasts will rarely fight to the death unless it is starving or protecting its home/young. Some creatures can be driven off with fire(a lit torch). Bandits and mercenaries would rather yield or surrender if the leader is taking out, etc.

No matter what you will find that you will be adjusting things mid-battle if your goal is to create a collaborative story.
>>
>>49488205

My DEX-based Fighter 6 said he wanted to multi-class to the UA Ranger until he got Beastmaster. He's close towards it and I can already feel the bodies he will leave on the floor when he gets the animal companion he wants. God save us.
>>
>>49488252
As currently written, it scales with overall character level. Mearls has stated that if this design makes it to print, it will only scale with Ranger level.
>>
>>49488430
the big ones are Armor of Shadow, Beast Speech, Mask of Many Faces, Misty Visions, but I can't choose between them. I'd also like spell recommendations.
>>
>>49488447
Hex and Armor of Agathys are good for going bladelock, don't rely on spell attacks.

Also consider Arms of Hadar or Protection from Good and Evil.
>>
>>49488176
>>49488304
Thanks for the advice, anons, I'll keep it mind! I was kind of weary of adjusting things mid-battle, since that feels like "cheating", for lack of a better term, but I realize that's dumb thinking and I'll try to get out of that mindset. Thanks again!
>>
>>49488505
I was definitely thinking Armor of Agathys, but was having reservations about Hex. Looking at it, since it's a bonus, yeah, good call. Also doing minor image and really liking misty visions for doing walls.
>>
>>49488512
just be subtle about it.
>>
How does a tomelock compare to other casters?
>>
>>49488512
Another thing to consider is importing some of the design philosophy of 4e. In 4e creatures had battlefield roles, such as: Minion, Soldier, Solo, Artillery, Controller, Leader.

Solo creatures had a lot of hit points, had low to medium ac, and dealt a lot of damage. Soldiers had medium to a lot of hit points, had medium to high ac, and dealt low to medium damage. Minions had 1 hp, had medium to high ac, and dealt low damage. Artillery had low hit points, low ac, and dealt high damage. Etc.

Use that same philosophy when designing your encounters. The listed MM creature stats for hp is your average and the listed ac and damage are based on the armor/shield and weapons the creatures are listed with. You can change the damage and ac just be changing the gear. Removing a shield here, replacing a weapon there.. Just be sure to recalculate ac and damage after making changes.

The goblin ambush could have a 'soldier' goblin using his shield and shortsword, two 'minion' goblins using only daggers and one hp, and an 'artillery' goblin with shortbow and min hp.

Later on in the adventure the goblin warlord could be a 'leader' goblin using chain armor instead of hide armor and have max hp.
>>
>>49488670
They have slow and incredibly versatile casting out of combat and they get a handful of spells for in combat. That along with the armor, the best damage cantrip, and the usefulness of ritual casting leads me to say that they are one of the best balanced casters in the system. So long as you're playing a campaign with ample scrolls to copy to your book of shadows, then your're golden. If it's a scroll light game, then you're better off going chainlock. An imp can recreate a good deal of ritual spells right at level 3.
>>
My Rogue in Lost Mines carved the eye of the Nothic. What cool shit can he do with it? I won't tell him of course, as DM, but he's the kind of guy who wants to tinker his findings. I wanna let the eye react in ways that can give him clues on how to utilize it in situations. Originally I was gonna let it be a featureless eye but with how he has handled Lost Mines so far, I wanna reward him for his efforts at the moment. Any ideas? Checking MM and it has stuff like Rotting Gaze and Weird Insight. Might make this like some kind of "wand" where he can do those as charges.
>>
>>49488803
I would have it be an Orb that functions like a combination wand of Magic Detection, wand of Secrets, with 6 charges regaining 1d4+2 at dawn, and you can blow 2 charges to use Rotting Gaze.
>>
Since my DM only uses vanilla 5e, is the ranger worth it? Are there any multiclass builds that synergize with it?
>>
>>49487511
wood stone and metal are pretty fucking natural
>>
>>49488937
druids cant wear metal, or use metal shields, even if they can use metal weapons for some reason
though i guess the devil is in the details. its not like humans "wear" their skin and organs

>>49487493
i would say no, unless you really wanted them to
its not like a druid with all body hair shaved other than a mohawk, turns into a shaved goat with a mohawk
>>
Take a look at this sorcerous origin I've been tinkering with-
sorceror bloodline: Devilish Magicks
Evidence of the infernal lies not only in your appearance, but in the sorcerous powers that flow through you. Recommended restriction- Tieflings.

LEAKING EVIL
Starting when you choose this origin at first level, your spellcasting carries with it flashes of hell. Immediately after you cast a sorceror spell of 1st level or higher, the DM can have you roll a d20. If you roll a 1, roll on the Devilish Magicks table to create a random magical effect.

TAKING FORM
Starting at 1st level, your devilish features become more overt. Your features become more monstrous. You gain immunity to the poisoned condition. When you take radiant damage, roll on the Devilish Magicks table.

ESTABLISHED EVIL
Starting at 6th level, when you cast a spell that deals fire damage, you can add your charisma modifier to the damage. In addition, you can spend a sorcery point to add 1d6 of fire damage to a spell's damage. You are considered a Lesser Devil.

PULLING RANK
Starting at 14th level, you have advantage on charisma rolls related to interactions with devils. You can spend 2 sorcery points to send one devil back to its native circle- roll on the Devilish Magicks table when you do this.

UNSTOPPABLE
Starting at 18th level, you are considered a Greater Devil. When you die, you reform in one of the circles of Hell. You can spend 4 sorcery points to make a spell overcome a damage resistance.

I'm working on a wild magic surge-style table to go with it, I've got about 40 entries out of a desired 50, most new and a few taken from wild magic. Anybody got ideas for the last ones?
>>
>>49488891

Sounds good.

Though should I add the "roll 1d20, if 1, it's destroyed forever" rule if the eye happens to have its charges rendered to 0? That way there's a management to it so he won't spam the thing.
>>
>>49488913
ranger isn't absolutely terrible vanilla, especially a ranged hunter
like nearly everything, fighter is a good choice, just because of fighter itself. i think rogue goes alright with it, but thats just because rogue has skills and damage, same as every other rogue multiclass
i think the only other options are really the full casters that ride wis, and only if you want more casting. so cleric and druid, but even then, being a nature cleric, or a land druid/bard would be a better "ranger" caster
>>
How can I make n dex based hoplite?Battlemaster with a couple of monk levels?
>>
>>49488995
I wouldn't. It has low charges already, and the dc of it's one offensive ability is low. It's a good utility item but it won't affect the game much even if he is constantly using it to detect traps or magic.
>>
So I have a friend who loves PF to bits.
Is there anyway to convince him to come to 5e?
He insists 5e is way too lacking in content, shallow, and generally rigid system.
>>
>>49489100
Sorry anon, but you can't cure stupid.
>>
>>49489100
stop trying to make him like things he doesn't like
all of those are valid complaints and while I enjoy my 5e games, it's so rigid and suffocating that going and playing some ridiculous shit with tons of content is a breath of fresh air
he's probably the type who makes PF work by not focusing on how incredibly bad the fighters are or playing the fighter class in it
>>
Starting at lvl 3; Is there any reason to pick champion over battle master? Battle Master seems like just generally better pick, even late game.
>>
>>49489236
The only real reason to go for champion is synergies.

The doubled crit chance synergizes with sneak attack. It synergizes with GWF. It synergizes with brutal critical. It synergizes with divine smite.

If you're not capitalizing on that synergy, it's not so great.
Adding half your proficiency modifier to initiative is kind of okay-ish. Survivor is great, if you ever get that high.

But really, battlemaster is generally considered strong. Champion really feels more like a 'three level dip' archetype, and even then people might want features from the other archetypes for other reasons (battlemaster's riposte allows you to sneak attack people outside of your turn).
>>
Any idea when the coloring book will appear on the mega?
>>
>Hi! Here's my class/race, it's homebrew but I think it's cool!
>dandwiki

Im on my phone but imagine I posted vomitinggirls.jpg

Seriously can we get that shithole shut down? So many times I have seen new players come in and want to play some fucking insane bullshit they found on there while googling "best dnd classes"
>>
>>49488984
>damage immunity as a level 1 feature
At least save that sort of thing for later. And really, it should probably just be resistance unless it's a level ~14 or so feature.

Wild surge was a lovely thing. Shame the class and archetype itself is a bit sub-par and some of the features pretty much rely on the DM being nice to you.

Having a class that classifies you as technically a devil feels a bit questionable. Being technically a fiend carries way too many connotations with it, which even games like pathfinder tend to try to stay away from.

Having the ability to 'send a devil back without any save' is just stupid. The devil should get a charisma save against banishment.

The level 6 feature itself seems a bit bland. 'You add charisma modifier to damage' is okay, but 'you can spend sorcerery points to do more damage' is pretty lame. Lame to have features that do more damage rather than anything interesting, and lame to have more ways to spend lots of sorcerery points when you already have enough.

Level 18 feature feels a bit weak unless you can abuse going to hell and reforming when you die, and that's very campaign-dependent. But technically, a lesser devil should reform in hell too.
>>
>>49489305
Well, I do plan on going for GWF, but battle master also doesn't fit my character fluff wise. I suppose I will try to minmax champion a little bit to not fall back. Thanks!
>>
>>49489322
I concur with this.

Many people think 'Oh, I'm too lazy to search the PHB, I'm going to google the wiki' and end up on that site.

The site then gives you only shit homebrew content, and none of the official content.

Stuff like 'This magic item is a +3 weapon that applies to even unarmed strikes, and gives you d8 unarmed strikes that now deal bludgeoning damage (no shit sherlock?), and also counts as a flametongue weapon (+2d6 (7) damage on hit), and gives you INFINITE rages as long as you are at least 1 HP below max (doesn't specify bonus rage damage) even if you're not a barbarian! Also only CHAOTIC GOOD (Fucking elves) can wear it, and the item is sentient with 18 charisma and has darkvision to 80 ft and has the personality of a fiesty lesbian brawler and will not hesitate in telling you its dyke fantasies all the time. Also it can shoot TWO firebolts as per the firebolt spell at-will as an action!'

I know that's a magic item and something the DM themselves would put in, but fuck.
>>
>>49489410
Champion is still a really boring loadout to play. Probably the blandest of all, but it's nice if you like looking at critical dice, I suppose.
>>
>>49489419
Some kid wanted to play as some golem race that got resistance to nonmagical slashing/piercing, didnt have to eat, got a sentry trance mode thing for rests that took 4 hours and you where aware of your surroundings, and other bullshit i didnt bother reading.

I dont think there is anything of value on there. It's all trash.
>>
>>49489362
Poisoned condition and poison damage are slightly different. I could (should) specify you still take poison damage. I just noticed that every single devil (and demon, I believe) have immunity to that condition. Which is just disadvantage on certain things and I don't think comes up often anyway. Devil as a class is definitely niche, I can see this being banned just as often if not more than it's allowed to a race other than Tiefling (look at me, pretending I'm gonna finish this or publish it in any way)

Banishing a devil goes with the name of the feature, that being you outrank them and command them to get outta here. Maybe should specify what demons can be banished, and the list expands as you level up. Or, it may still need a save, I'm not 100 percent on it.

I agree the damage isn't exactly inspired, any idea what else could go there?

Yes, a lesser demon would reform, but not dying seemed definitely something to be held to almost top level. That part of the lore I'm willing to play loose with in order to not get too fucky with gameplay. I don't know how you would abuse it beyond not dying.

I'm picturing it as you have to get back out of hell in some way, if you so wish. Know a spell to travel planes, something like that. Or else retire the character happy knowing they're still going around doing devil shit with their friends.

Good feedback, thanks.
>>
>>49489540
Sorcerers do have access to spells like Plane Shift and Teleportation Circle, so I think at 18th levl they shouldn't have any trouble coming back. With Pulling Rank, you might want to base it off of Destroy Undead with CR and make it a long/short rest thing to avoid depending too much on sorcery points.
>>
>>49489620
I was considering (Cha mod) per short or long rest instead of sorcery points, but I was worried I wasn't giving enough attention to the class feature and was trying to incorporate it. That said, I've never played a sorceror so I have no frame of reference of how fast the points go. You've confirmed my initial thoughts about the feature. I'll check destroy undead, too, for the CR progression.
>>
>>49489488
Just for laughs, I'd probably humour it and add things to balance it such as 'Well, you also get vulnerability to bludgeoning.' or 'You can't heal through normal means.'

I mean, really, not a lot of monsters have magical weapon attacks. Many have magical attacks, but not magical weapons.
>>
File: 1456700903805.png (339KB, 1008x784px) Image search: [Google]
1456700903805.png
339KB, 1008x784px
Does anyone have a pdf of the Planar Bestiary on DM's Guild they can share?

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/193100/Planar-Bestiary?hot60=1&src=hottest_filtered&filters=45469
>>
>>49489540
Oh, right, I glanced over the 'poisoned condition'.
Condition resistances are very unusual for 5e for players to get, but that should be fine anyway. I guess condition immunities are avoided because they might allow something such as casting stinking cloud on yourself.

I'd think asking creatures to go back to hell and comply would be just a sort of 'you're a devil' feature, and they could fail the charisma save if they want, but as long as they're unwilling it very likely deserves a save for them to not be banished.

At the very least there should be some sort of action tied to it. Right now you can walk into an encounter full of devils and just say to the DM, 'Nope.' and then within a second all devils in the room vanish completely at the cost of your sorcery points.

As other anon says, less things dependent on sorcery points is probably good and .. I'd say being able to just plane shift back to reality is probably overpowered if you can abuse it (the only way you can die is if enemies chase you to the nine hells, a lot of work on the DM's part) but it's pretty much the same as getting the 'wish' spell and making a clone of yourself in a pocket dimension. So, if anything, 'wish' almost makes it redundant. Might still be nice to have a really interesting 'this is what you could become' feature, even if you don't expect people to reach level 18.

No idea for the other part of the level 6 feature. Maybe an improved thaumaturgy or something?
>>
>>49489666 (appropriate trips)
>>49489735
I just looked up destroy undead, and also the spell banishment, which sorcerors can get. Banishment imposes a charisma save on something, and if it fails it goes home. Making it like Destroy Undead where it banishes something at or under a CR when it fails a save (wisdom for DU, logical choice for this would be charisma) seems not as good.

I'm thinking at level six, once per long rest, as an action, no save required, keep the CR progression (1 at lvl 6, 3 at lvl 14, 5 at lvl 18). Then someone could follow it up with a cast of banishment if they wanted to, I suppose.

So if that's level six now, just needs a new level 14. Dragon gets wings, wild magic gets a second roll on the table. Suppose I could just rip the wild magic feature, the archetype is pretty much a rip anyway. Thaumaturgy ribbon could be cool too.
>>
>>49489322
I'm glad I went through the handbook before looking up a few things online. Starting on that site would really confuse a new player.
>>
First time player, was originally going to pick a bard but somebody had already rolled one so I picked a Half-Orc Tempest Cleric with a sailor background. I thought this was going to be cool, but I didn't realize how hopelessly unoriginal this was until I started browsing /tg/ and reddit. Any tips on how to spice this character up?
>>
>>49487287
Large race please. I miss Half-Giants.
>>
>>49490207
don't really think you need to mate. make them kinda shamanistic and give them a solid personality that you'll want to roleplay and you're set. the biggest thing first time players do is try to get too wild or forget to actually roleplay imo
>>
>>49490207
Go full sea cultist like I did. Only worships the sea, or anything vaguely related to it. Salt is the all encompassing mineral of life. Any death other than drowning is a heretics death, and you can only meet god with lungs full of seawater. Only then may you join the school of heaven. Put kelp / seaweed on the eyes of the deceased so that they may be reincarnated from the brine to try again. roleplay interpreting the weather, then attribute it to gods attitude.
>>
>>49489735
>>49489833
I don't think reforming on the Nine Hells and being able to Plane Shift back is really overpowered, not for an 18th level feature, even more considering it takes a 7th level slot to come back. Should probably specify they reform with only 1 HP left.

And now I realize that, contrary to undead, low CR fiends are much less numerous and uncommon than low CR undead, so you could certainly get away with having higher CR for Pulling Rank. I'd still give then a Charisma save, though, but make it once per long/short rest with CR up to sorcerer level or half sorcerer level.
>>
>>49488803
Give him weird insight and rotting gaze if he replaces an eye with it
>>
>>49486471

I made a Victor Frankenstein.

Rock Gnome Transmuter Wizard Alchemist Guild Artisan, Familiar Crawling Claw, which I named Igor
>>
so anons, i'm making a subclass that is focused around mounted combat. having looked at 3rd edition for inspiration/ideas i see that 5e has yet to offer besides the paladin mount and the mounted combatant feat.

Anyway my question is, as one of the features, I want to make it so that purchasing an animal mount or barding only costs you half the amount. Do you think this fits with the theme? How can I mechanically implement it?
>>
>>49482897
Are you a Dragon Sorcerer?

If so go rogue (swashbuckler) for the next 3 levels and focus on using the melee cantrips from SCAG.
>>
>>49490381

does not fit with the theme at all, though I can see where it might be mechanically necessary.

It's especially though since that means you can just send the guy to buy half price mounts for every one.

Give it proficency on animal handling rolls, and double proficency to identify a mount's condition, as to better appraise its true value

What is it a sublcass of? Fighter, ranger?
>>
>>49483414
The best way to do "fangs of the fire snake " is no ki cost for the primary feature which turns your unarmed strikes for the turn into fire damage and granting 10ft reach while the extra/optional 2d10 fire damage costs 1ki point.

Think of it as a cantrip that you can boost by expending a level 1 spell slot.
>>
>>49490423
>>49490423
>send the guy to buy half price mounts for every one.

I remember this table we had where the DM made the mistake of giving a ring of spell storing to a group with a highly rules gaming bard

The paladin just charged the ring with a bunch of Find Steed spells, they passed the ring around like a spliff, and in less than an hour (it was a brief attuning item) the whole party had paladin worg mounts
>>
>>49490423
Ahh, thats a very good point - I hadn't considered that. I think I will take your advice and offer them double prof to identify a mount's condition.

Right now, I'm still brainstorming ideas to make sure I have enough solid ideas to make a sub-class.

Given the fact that animal mounts only work when the situation allows for it, I was thinking of making a focused archer sub-class with additional benefits when mounted so that if they're not without the mount they're not entirely useless either.
>>
>>49490478

sounds like you have a pretty good template to work from out of the new beast master ranger.

You could even have his ability to change companion into more suitable mounts for different envyroments
>>
>>49488150
If it were me, I'd rewrite Blade Pact to let them use their pact weapon as an arcane focus for casting ranged spells as touch spells. That way they get to attack in melee using Eldritch Blast's damage, which is regarded as fairly balanced anyway, and they'd also then have a hand free that they could use for either a shield (giving them more competitive melee AC) or another focus to let them cast spells at regular range and be more versatile. The downside is that choice of pact weapon becomes purely fluff, but at least they're effective now.
>>
>>49490478
Consider making them able to ride unconventional mounts, like giant lizards that could scurry inside dungeons, too. Maybe even a benefit that makes it so that enemies don't have advantage when attacking mounts that are squeezing.
>>
File: 1225430132250.gif (961KB, 213x169px) Image search: [Google]
1225430132250.gif
961KB, 213x169px
Woah wait a minute.

The book says that to determine the ability scores you roll 4 d6's for each one. That means that the highest roll you can get is 24.

But at some other point It also says
>As normal, you can't increase
an ability score above 20

I'm confused.
I vividly remember playing Baldur's Gate, years ago and I'm pretty sure that the maximum was 18

Please, help me understand
>>
I need help making an alternative spellpoint system.
I want spellpoints to work like hit die, in a way.
For the base, i want to make MP die inverse to HP die.
D12 HP = D6 MP
D10 HP = D8 MP
D8 HP = D10 MP
D6 HP = D12 MP
The player can only use this mp if their class allows spellcasting of course.

Should they regen MP on short rest by using up to their level in mp die as with hp, and gain up to half their mp die back per long rest, as with hp? This would make it easy to remember, i feel.

Should mana points per level be an average based on their die, roll-for, or what?

Also, spellcasting stat should be used as the modifier for mana upon level up. Like a paladin would use 8+cha at first level and 1d8 (or avg 5)+cha to determine total MP.
>>
>>49490924
Baldur's Gate was three editions ago, and each new edition having a ruleset so broadly different in execution that if it didn't have the same branding it would be considered a different game entirely.

It's 4d6 drop the lowest BTW.
>>
>>49487434
It's 4d6 and drop the lowest die, ya drangus
>>
>>49490924
>Roll four 6-sided dice and record the total of
the highest three dice on a piece of scratch paper.

>the highest three dice

>THE HIGHEST THREE
>>
Is it true combat in 5e is really fast paced and smooth sailing?
>>
>>49491001
Sure
>>
>>49491001
Well we just played a game with 6/8 players being totally new to DnD and we managed to finish the first encounter against goblins within an hour.
>>
>>49482586

Monk/sorc doesn't work. you can't use your draconic heritage AC bonus and your monk AC bonus at the same time, and you also need 13 Charisma to M/C into and out of sorc.
>>
>>49484898

The problem with making a ninja is that Thief already covers non-magical ninja and Shadow Monk covers the supernatural ninja.
>>
>>49491001
As a player it's simple
>move (with object interaction)
>action
>bonus action
>reaction

You get 1 of each.

As a DM you get lair and legendary actions as well.
>>
>>49482762
>Also, I totally wanted access to draconic heritage to put his standing AC to 13 + 3 (Con) + 2 (Wis) = 18. With access to bonus shield, and ki patient-defense dodge actions.
That's not how that works. I don't understand how people are still confused at AC calculations not stacking.
>>
>>49491794
Because people still approach 5e with the mentality of "3e unless told otherwise." If you don't actually read the book, AC seems to be one of those things that didn't change. (But you really have to not read the book)
>>
I am a human druid Emissary from a foreign land that every full moon I have to do a ritual in accordance with my home tradition.

Any ideas guys?
>>
>>49492373
Clearly you were bitten by a werewolf, which is what gives you your shapeshifting powers, and must meditate and perform certain rites on the full moon to avoid transforming unwillingly.

This would also explain a druid emissary, despite druids tending to be feral and emissaries tending to be civilized.
>>
>>49491794
>>49492035
Technically everything but the two unarmored defense features stack. So your AC would either be 10 + Con + Wis (DM Fiat) or 13 +Dex. Shield spell and dodge work normally.
>>
>>49492442
Absolutely not. Monk has an AC of 10 + wis + dex; barbarian has an AC of 10 + con + dex. You have to choose one.

If your DM ruled differently he didn't read the book either.
>>
What spells can be used to assist mining and such?
>>
>>49492442
>>49492462
Confirmed for not reading the post. His DM has already said that he may add his Con to his monk unarmored defense rather than his DSex, because he's earth-themed and using Ki to harden his skin.

I'm not saying it's not broken, I'm saying that's what's gonna happen. It just doesn't stack with Sorcerer's dragon skin thing.
>>
>>49492543
Guilty - confirmed for not reading the post indeed. Not sure why he'd want to do that, considering that means he has neither str nor dex to attack with. I guess you could be a long death tank.
>>
>>49492428
Not that guy, but he said according to tradition, not because of a curse.

>>49492373

The High Moon ceremony is one of solemn reflection and peace. The druid must find(or create) a circular pool of water, and meditate on the cycles of nature by its shores until the moon's at its highest point in the sky, and the druid can see its full reflection in the pool. Then, he dips two fingers into the water, and spreads it across his forehead in a line. As the ritual ends, scatters the seeds to a pale flower in the water, hoping they will take root at its shores.

I dunno. Best I could come up with on short notice.
>>
Someone should start a new thread, we autosaged an hour ago
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.