[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>New Sage Advice - Rules Answers: September 2016 http://d

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 339
Thread images: 41

File: ancient baatorian.png (798KB, 701x604px) Image search: [Google]
ancient baatorian.png
798KB, 701x604px
>New Sage Advice - Rules Answers: September 2016
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-september-2016

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Volo's Guide to Monster's Preview
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/VoloPreviews.zip

>UA Revised Ranger
September Unearthed Arcana - The Ranger, Revised:
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-ranger-revised

>Last Session:
>>49459913

Ancient baatorian edition. What obscure or rare bit of planar lore would you like to see?
>>
Is there a way to do a strength based unarmed warrior and not totally suck?
>>
>>49471469
Battlemaster Fighter with Tavern Brawler and a focus on grappling? You won't top the damage charts, but you can lock down foes and use maneuvers just fine. You're also proficient in improvised weapons, and if you're strong enough a grappled foe counts as an improvised weapon. Throw a nigga at another nigga.
>>
>>49471469
Barbarian with the tavern brawler feat. Go human so you can get the feat at level 1. Then talk to your DM about getting magic gauntlets to make your fist attacks magical so you can bypass damage resistance and immunity.
>>
Still looking for help with encounters/obstacles that will challenge my blundering idiot pc's without derailing the game by murdering them.
>>
>>49471538
What setting and what's the level of said PC's?
>>
>>49471538

>Not doing that anyway to teach them a lesson and then playing a ghost campaign.

Garbage normies
>>
>>49471546
Trying to help them transition from pathfinder to 5e. The last two attempts have led to TPKs because they think they are superheroes and take the most direct route to address problems.

Level 1
>>
File: bane wraith.png (956KB, 1165x923px) Image search: [Google]
bane wraith.png
956KB, 1165x923px
How do I convert these guys over?
I was thinking giving the MM wraith some more HP, AC, innate spellcasting (disguise self & detect thoughts at will), and Empathetic Sense.

Thoughts?
>>
>>49471578
First off, hopefully the previous two TPKs has taught them a lesson.

If it has, then my advise would be to create a basic rescue mission quest for their new characters. Something like "goblins raid a supply cart and kidnap the merchant. Please save him", or "kobolds have infested and trapped our mines. Please go get rid of them". Make the adventure have balanced encounters with easy to defuse traps if they look around for them ( or capture an enemy early on and grill him for details on their lair, allies, and traps), but are potently strong if triggered.

If they have not learned their lesson, have the adventure start off with raiders of some sort attack the village they are in. The town, and ultimately themselves, will be beaten and captured. Then they can go through a prison break scenario with some the other inmates and free the village. Don't go easy on them but try to make sure they realise how fragile they are.
>>
>>49471578
If you keep throwing encounters that can't be done with the most direct route, that's pretty bad.

You should punish them for it, but not in the 'Okay, you're now facing a level 10 dragon' way.

Personally, I hate the concept of encounters that can't be beaten through any form of combat, except as rare encounters. Level 1 encounters shouldn't be meeting kings and archwizards at every corner, just minor hazards with some occasional higher hazards that slip in. Meeting a proper dragon would be a rarity unless they actively persue it.
So, I often design things that gives the player more options and sometimes the possibility of something not quite as bad as a TPK. For example, some thugs might only be after the player's items, thus leaving the player's characters alive. Or, the players will be attacking and the monsters defending, so the players have all the room to retreat if they need to.
They'll still be harshly punished for failure, from some teammates dying or the loss of something else, but at least it's less aggravating for the players and maybe instead of being blind with rage they'll try to fix their issue.

Maybe the players are trying to assault a monster outpost. If they attack without sneaking, they'll be bombarded from archers who are using cover, and have a disadvantage. That's a punishment for bad planning in itself. The players have room, then, to retreat, as the archers can't chase them from their tower.
>>
EN5IDERanon here. I updated the mega. Sorry for vanishing.
https://mega.nz/#F!rAoGFBBJ!7oaBSiTtMQl5uDnevTEzHw
>>
Are fighters overpowered in 5e?
>>
Is there a site where I can read 5e's rules and mechanics?

Pathfinder has the PFSRD, 5e's 5ESRD is poorly made in comparison.
>>
>>49472173
No.
>>
>>49472173
Their damage is a bit high with feats, but no they are probably the best designed class in the game along with Rogue.
>>
File: mate.gif (4MB, 500x210px) Image search: [Google]
mate.gif
4MB, 500x210px
>>49471578
> take the most direct route to address problems.
what the fuck were you expecting them to do?
>>
>>49472199
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules
>>
>>49472241
>>49472199
More specifically for a site: http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules
>>
>>49472221
my DM does the same thing, or gives us someone too powerful for us to kill and seems surprised when most of the party tries to fight it anyway and we nearly all die when trying to damage control the situation

it's cool way to introduce enemies, but it doesn't work when half the party wants to kill everything we come across
>>
What's your favourite character sheet to use?
>>
>>49472221
That was poor phrasing on my part, and I apologize for it.

While there's been a fair amount of creative problem solving by this group in other games, in 5e several of the players seem to reduce their problem solving to "I hit it". No challenge assessment, no consideration for resistances/vulnerabilities, no thought for cooperation or tactical positioning. Just: where is the enemy? I walk up to it and hit it.

The first time this worked poorly because they separated and focused all attacks on types the monster clearly resisted.

The second time they separated the party, attacked something they had no business attacking, and the other group got ambushed.
>>
>>49472221
>>49472295
So I guess what I'm trying to cultivate is (1) creative problem solving in and out of combat, (2) coordination and cooperation among the players
>>
>>49472295
You could try tossing in an NPC on a quest that gives them tactical advice on the situation. Some guy trying to get his kidnapped someone back and knows the area and has an idea of what they're up against.

We've had that in our game and even the more blundering of our players went along with it. Our DM did it to try and push us into a deadly situation though, so maybe don't do that if you're trying to teach them.
>>
File: 1474419676652.png (160KB, 283x273px) Image search: [Google]
1474419676652.png
160KB, 283x273px
Can I just say I'm thankful that we're nowhere as furry, weeaboo, pedo, and degenerate as Pathfinder General /pfg/?

>>49441188
>>49448549
>>49454589
>>49464617
>>49472195
>>
>>49472295
>>49472315
I'm sorry to say that I've found no way to cure a cross-eyed mouth breather that can't even pay attention to tactics during turn order combat, where you get ten minutes to THINK between all your damn turns. You have my condolences.
>>49472360
This guy's advice sounds good, but different groups react differently to NPCs telling them what to do. Try not to make advice-guy too overbearing.
>>
>>49472376
Fuck off.
>>
File: yay.png (72KB, 285x315px) Image search: [Google]
yay.png
72KB, 285x315px
>>49472376
Just wait until November, anon. Catfolk and kobolds are coming.
>>
>>49472376
That's nice and all, but have you considered not provoking fox girl avatar fag shitposters to come here?
>>
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/779179225299365888

Confirmed that they stopped the DMs Guild reviews in place of Unearthed Arcana, instead shifting them to the Dragon+.

Good on them for changing it, bad on them for not realizing that it was a shit idea from the start.
>>
>>49472472
probably the same person tbqh
>>
>>49472173
if the dm gives a bunch of short rests then they can possibly be

we have two battlemasters and they frankly dominate since our dm lets us short rest pretty much whenever.

i'm playing a sorcerer and the other player is playing a cleric. We really can't keep up when, between long rests, we get like 3+ shorts.

second wind, action surge, four superiority dice; they get to blow through it because they know they'll just get it back.

meanwhile i get literally nothing on a short rest
>>
Anyone have recommendations for a 1-to-2 session adventure I could run while my group takes a break from OotA? Is Dead in Thay "playable".
>>
>>49472568
sounds like your gm is running the game the way it's meant to be run, good on him
>>
>>49472279
I have an alternative form-fillable sheet that groups the skills by ability and not by alphabetical order. It doesn't have a currency counter but honestly who needs that.
>>
>>49472279
Tall Glass of current Standard is literally the best physical sheet you can get imo.
>>
>>49472612
if 4+ combat encounters per 3hr session is the way 5e is intended to be played then 5e is garbage
>>
>>49471579
Self-bump because I need help.
>>
>>49472694
If you think 5e is garbage, what are you doing here?
>>
>>49472376
We just haven't fully migrated yet.
Wait until 5e starts making more content along the lines of Psionics, Oriental Adventures or Book of Weeb Fightan Magic to see a bigger influx

hahaha no. 5e is slow as fuck compared to PF and you guys are somehow proud of that
>>
>>49472496
why did mearls ((())) himself?
Unrelated but I've got a player looking to make a paladin of Bahamut, using a refluffed Oath of Ancients, any advice?
>>
>>49472779
I was thinking of making one of those soon myself, and was also kind of wondering. I'm going to stick with Ancients for other reasons, but I did notice that the oath of vengeance seemed to have a much better spell list unless I'm missing something
>>
I'm running a game for some completely new players who are also normies with 0 exposure to any sort of rpg save for like fallout

They're good friends of mine and are pretty imaginative/creative people so I think they'll take to it.

I need a good 3~ hour oneshot to run them through. I want something that is more than just a couple combat encounters; a puzzle or two and some RP opportunities

Any DMs here have a go-to for oneshots? Like, premades or something.

>>49472731
I love 5e, I play a rogue in a different campaign and I have alot of fun, I also occasionally GM it and I enjoy that even more

I'm here to bitch about my other shitty campaign and it's shitty GM and my shitty sorcerer who would be much better as a wizard or a bard or something not a sorcerer

and to ask questions about stuff
>>
>>49472779
because meals is a faggot

What sort of advice do you want? I don't really understand your question.

>>49472813
paladin is such a good class that the oath really doesn't matter. Sure vengeance is probably better in combat, does it really matter?

Take whatever oath you think fits your character concept.
>>
>>49472841
Oh. Well, that's perfectly okay. Come on in! I wish I ran premades so that I could recommend some- but I don't.

Storytime? What's going on with your shitty GM and shitty sorcerer?
>>
>>49472813
It due more to player ASTHETIC than what spell list works best, as I'll probably swap out some of the spells.
>>49472841
There's some good ones in the MEGA from Adventure League, they're mostly 2ish hours but with normies you should be fine. If none of the dozens there suit you, rip a book out of JRPG's and have them join an adventuring guild and get sent on their first mission to kill goblins or kobolds.
>>49472851
What spells should I swap around for it is the main issue
>>
>>49472694
>3hr sessions
Fucking casual garbage.
>>
>>49472851
Hold person/monster could be a pretty huge difference maker (particularly with my group that tends to always make martial types), but like I said I'm sticking with ancients for other reasons anyway, The idea of constantly looking for something to avenge sounds exhausting to me

I was mostly just wondering if I underestimated the use of ice storm or tree stride or something
>>
File: 5415323736_f0dd6bfa95_z.jpg (164KB, 474x640px) Image search: [Google]
5415323736_f0dd6bfa95_z.jpg
164KB, 474x640px
Anyone have an idea for a session to run for two PCs to test out if they'll like D&D?
>>
I don't have the PHB with me at the moment, but how many ranger spells actually require a decent Wisdom score? From the looks of it, with the new ranger you can get by with just a 14 or so in wisdom.
>>
>>49472867
The GM is a good guy, and is great at balancing combat encounters. Every major fight we've had has been life or death, and the rewards are always worthwhile.

Unfortunately, he's pretty bad at every other aspect of D&D. Every session is generally 60% combat, 20% the party figuring out what they want to do next, 10% rp, and 10% non-combat encounters.

In 8 sessions I've had the opportunity to do something like, use Charm Person or Disguise Self or some non-combat spell once, maybe twice. Since it's all combat all the time, and long rests are saved for the end of the session, the fighters in the party completely run the show and I'm stuck with casting Chromatic Orb and Firebolt 24/7 with the occassional Hold Person.

As for my sorcerer, I just feel like he'd be better as a wizard in every way. The lack of rituals and the pathetic number of spells known just completely kills my fun; as I said, I never do anything other than cast damage stuff, and I never get the opportunity to do anything but that.

that's my bitching for the night, thanks lad

>>49472872
>There's some good ones in the MEGA from Adventure League

I'll take a look, thanks
>>
>>49472902
The PCs are travelling with a caravan, when one of the people in the caravan(or the caravan master him/herself!) goes missing. They have to find and rescue the caravan master, who has been kidnapped by... well, it could either be stereotypical D&D fare, in that kobolds/goblins snuck up on the character in the middle of the night and took them away, or you could have it be some group in the caravan, allowing for a bit more intrigue and investigation.

Thanks for the art, by the way.
>>
>>49472928
So you took a non-combat focused sorcerer and don't get to do a lot of non-combat stuff? Have you tried talking to your DM about it? At worst, nothing will change. Maybe you'll get to reconsider your spell selection, or maybe he might even start RPing more or something.
>>
>>49472295
Here is an idea. Talk with them OOC. Try to explain the minset of the game. Tell then that a single goblin is a match for one of them and it doesnt matter how high your ac or hp is when 4 goblins jumo 1 pc they will win. Explain how they strongest feature is having more actions and how enemies are not dumb and will use tactics.
Just sit down and have a talk with them.
>>
>>49472872
protection/ offensive support spells would fit Bahamut most IMO.

take the Devotion spell list and swap out a spell or two.
>>
>>49472902

With two people you could just make a small custom thing. Partially this will require you to either A) suss out what kind of campaign they want (roleplay heavy, dungeon crawl, intrigue, etc) or B) try to mix a lot into a short adventure. Personally I'd just whip up a small dungeon crawl for them with some exotic enemies. Have them raid a bandit fortress with a broken golem, small dragon, or similarly intriguing monster at the end. Throw some magic items at them, and take them to level 3. If after all that they just don't seem into it then maybe it isn't for them, or they now know what kind of campaign they WOULD like.
>>
>>49472779
Why don't they go devotion? It sounds much more suited.
Still,as long as it's just 'refluffed' they can do pretty much whatever without breaking anything. Changing the mechanics is dangerous, however.

>>49472813
Oath of vengeance doesn't have a level 7 aura like the other two PHB paladins, and those are very strong, considering everybody would be within range of you anyway. They do seem to have a better spell list, but that's just more ways to spend your limited array of spellslots.

Honestly, 'immune to charm' doesn't sound so great when everyone has +5 to their saves from you already and you could instead get resistance to spell damage, since often spells still do damage if you save against them, or sometimes work without a save.
>>
>>49472704
You're not trying to cram every possible ability from 3e in so it sounds like you already have a solid plan. Just make sure to recalculate the CR.
>>
>>49472902
I think it might be good to run one where the players can pretty much choose what they want to do.
Like,
"It's been a long year with not a lot of work for your adventurers in he way of things such as guarding caravans, and they've decided to do something more risky. You can go do anything you like, really, but there are some suggestions... You have an old map of some dungeon which looks incomplete of a dungeon, which apparently holds treasure and one of the family heirlooms, but you're not quite sure if you're ready yet. There's an area people have been told to stay away from out in the plains, and you sure like doing things that you're told not to.
Or, you could go deal with your old rival, who's back in town. He's always been a bit of a dick, stealing your jobs and getting in your way.
Or you can do whatever else the heck you want. Rob a bank, just go for a walk."

That'd be better if you're good at improvising and you like to run games in a more open-world way than a 'You are on a quest, go do your quest.' way. But absolutely don't just tell them 'YOU CAN DO ANYTHING!' because they don't really start with any real aims or goals, you have to give them those aims and goals.
>>
>>49473044
He liked the tenants of Ancient more. I wouldn't be digging into the class benefits, just the spell list.
>>
>>49473152
Then refluff devotion with ancients sort of tenants, probably.

The spell lists aren't too gamebreaking.
Devotion has a lot of spells the paladin already has access to, although some of those are quite nice to have.
Ancients has a bunch of druidic spells that the paladin doesn't have, which are probably mostly good for utility.
Vengeance has a bunch of combat spells. Might want to be wary if he's going for vengeance spells, but eh.

If they want devotion spells, probably go ahead and give it to them.
>>
Quick, /5eg/!

Give me a name for a Wood-Elf Ranger!
>>
>>49473413
>Legolas Elfeyes
>>
>>49473413
Aeliphas
>>
>>49473413
Bork
>>
File: 1459585732678.jpg (529KB, 860x1299px) Image search: [Google]
1459585732678.jpg
529KB, 860x1299px
>>49473434
>>49473442
Do you think this is a fucking joke, motherfucker?
>>
>>49473413
Bryn Liadon
>>
>>49473455
No, names should be based on character not race and class. You didn't describe a character.
>>
>>49473413
Vallois Eyrenhil
>>
>>49473478
Alright

in the DM's setting, a large Alliance of various nations is aggressively expanding throughout the world.

My character is a Wood-Elf, who serves in the Wood-Elf Recon Corps. Standard Wood-Elf/Ranger shtick of defending the lands, yadda yadda.

The Wood-Elf nation recently rather reluctantly joined this Alliance, and my character has more or less been forced to help the Alliance troops scout the more unexplored regions of the area.

He strongly dislikes the alliance, as he believes they have no purpose in his lands, and are only there to exploit the resources found there.

However, he is dedicated to his nation, and if his superiors tell him the help his new allies, he will, begrudgingly.

He also has two siblings, both of whom joined the Scoi'atel-esque resistance against the alliance. He's conflicted between his family and his duty to his nation, but his sense of duty keeps him working in the Recon Corps.

He's CG, very strong-willed, experienced, and harbors a distrust towards non-elf Races, save for Halflings and Gnomes. His family has served in the Wood-Elf armed forces for generations.
>>
>>49473551
Aeliphas the unready.
>>
>>49473551
Triece Sortog
>>
I'm thinking of changing Dragonborn to Lizard men in my setting with a Dex and Int bonus and Acid breath. Thoughts?
>>
>>49473708
If that's what makes sense for your setting it should be fine.
>>
Hey, anons. Would-be race homebrewer here who'd like feedback/critique on his efforts so far and suggestions on which of his planned races to tackle next - I got so many I've hit the point where I know I need to start writing 'em up, but I can't pick between 'em.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

For those who'd rather not poke around and try to figure it out, here's the direct list of races I need to get written up:
Pterran
Bladeling
Githyanki
Githzerai
Fey'ri
Tanarukk
Rogue Modron
Hamadryad
Satyr
Huldra
Dust Genasi
Rain Genasi
Magma Genasi
Blight Genasi
Smoke Genasi
Tanuki
Mujina
Kawauso
Bakeneko
Itachi
Tengu
Spellscale
Vyrloka

I could particularly use someone willing to talk about making the yokai races and the Spellscales work, especially the latter, as I'm having troubles coming up with decent ideas for 'em.
>>
>>49473758
Vryloka, if you please.

Also just a suggestion, but you should change Shardmind ability bonus to +2 Int and +1 wis OR cha.
>>
>>49473785
Vyloka coming right up as soon as I can. As for the Shardmind ability modifier change... any particular reason? Beyond legacy, I mean?

I mean, I don't really have a problem with it, I'm just not sure if 5e will handle "chooseable" ability score mods the way 4e did.
>>
File: wat.png (289KB, 1359x927px) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
289KB, 1359x927px
Hey /5eg/, I'm trying to get in to the hobby and I was directed here for resources and advice.

I'm reading the player's basic rules book from the mega download, but I'm stuck on determining ability scores.

The way I'm reading page 7, determine ability scores, I should move the modifiers in the small box to the large box, as these are modifiers from my race choice. That would make dex 17 and wis 9. Then I should apply modifiers from the table in those smaller boxes, not racial bonuses. So my end dex/wis would be 17 + 3 and 9 - 1.

Is that right?

Also I've listed all my racial bonuses in the traits box, should I do that or are the traits well enough known that they're just assumed?

Thanks!
>>
>>49473854
The sheet is intended to have the ability scores in the small box and the modifiers in the larger box, since the modifiers are what's used more often.

But in the end, go with whichever helps you as a player more.

And the same for traits: write down whatever is best for you to remember as a player.
>>
>>49473758
I already have a Satyr homebrew for my setting, only difference is I call them Fauns. Feel free to pillage my ideas.

http://pastebin.com/8tr5ZBtV
>>
>>49473803
If half-elves can get +2 cha and +1 to two others of their choice, I don't see how this would be a problem mechanical balance wise.

And as for the reasoning behind it, it represents the dividing line between the Thought Builder and Shard Slayer philosophies (omitting God Shard philosophy).
>>
>>49473882

I'll keep it as standard as I can, I'll be playing a game on roll20 once I make a character sheet and finish the main body of rulebooks so keeping my sheet standard will make it easier to get help in game.

I'll keep the traits then so I know what I have at my disposal. So for dex I would have +3 in the large box and 17 in the small box?
>>
Is it just me or is the Deep Stalker subclass for the new ranger like really fucking good?

Like, level 3 gives you an additional attack on your first turn in combat? and +10 speed for free? and neutralizes enemy darkvision?

also you gain darkvision for 90 feet? additional spells for free?

Extra attack, wisdow save proficiency, another attack if you miss, and pretty much always giving an enemy disadvantage against you as a reaction?

coupled with all the shit you already get, like advantage on inititative, advantage against enemies who haven't acted (which is huge with the extra attack you get on your first turn as a deepstalker) and all that other shit

Seems really really good man
>>
Would you allow the Jump spell to stack with Boots of Striding and Springing, assuming you can raise your movement high enough?
>>
tempest cleric looking for a dip, open to other suggestions, but thematically for the character im thinking either paladin (most likely ancients) or ranger (hunter, no animal is sticking out as a good pokemon for him)
realistically im going to only be putting in threeish levels, because i dont want to delay cleric all that much. i feel like paladin would be the clear better choice, but if im only going three points, i miss out on alot of things that arnt smite, and im pretty much the only class in the party that can reliably heal, so spells per day are already being doled out to keeping retards alive.
both get extra attack to get my tempest damage off, but a 5 point sacrifice is quite a ways away, even if i would want to go that far down either. endgame would be 17/3, but i guess id be willing to go as far as 14 cleric, 6 anything, if it was good/interesting enough
>>
>>49474193
Since the effects have different names (the boots don't just put you under the effects of the Jump spell): they do stack.
>>
>>49474220
why do you want to multiclass?

anyway, you have to have a 13 in the main stat of a class to mc into it.

Unless you have 14+ charisma I see no reason to MC into pally. Ranger works I guess but I don't see much of a point there either.

If you really wanna dip I'd say go fighter, pretty much anyone benefits from a fighter dip. Rogue is a decent dip too
>>
>>49474017
Meh, an assassin rogue has like play. Deep Stalker is just focused more on gimmicks then damage, how I see it.
>>
>>49474239
interest mostly, im not a fan of the flight, it doesn't fit the character at all, but 17 is also 9th level cleric spells. im hoping for something useful enough to warrant 4-6 levels, but anything that pushes back flight a bit is really my goal.

basically, i want to delay cleric levels, without the choice being largely useless
>>
>>49474282
what level are you?

if you're planning out your character 1-20, just stop. 99% of games don't get past level 10.

playing once a week every week, and going off RAW rules for encounters and exp and etc, getting a character from 1-20 will take you literally over a year.

Look at Critical Role. They've been playing those characters for nearly three years and they're like, level 14 - 15.
>>
>mfw halfling UA Ranger 2 w/ Archery

This is pretty damn fun.
>>
>you will never see 10th level
>you will never see armor that has a higher potential AC than those on the nonmagical light/medium/heavy table in the phb
>you will never have a +1 weapon
>you will never have a reason to spend your gold
>you will never be hailed as a hero, only given a 'thanks' and sent out of the city to the next questing site where people have never heard of you
>your party will never not be a group of random, wacky vagabonds who don't know each other and are only traveling together for number safety
>your GM will never read your backstory or care what it is
>you will never see yours or anyone else's character motivations be resolved within a campaign, if they're even brought up
>you will never fight a dragon or claim a dragon's hoard
it's okay though haha my gm gave our party a reason to drop everything we were doing and go fight the bbeg cultists who are summoning a demon ha and i have my trusty rope of climbing with me haha

ha ha
>>
>>49474355
Get a better DM.

Alternatively talk to your DM about those things.
>>
>>49474327
how's it working out?

I'm gonna play the new ranger here soon, wanna go deepstalker.
>>
>>49474364
I've played under multiple DMs and every single one is like this
>>
>>49474370
You have never played in person with your friends, have you?

If you have, get better friends.
>>
File: woolie feelin it.png (291KB, 500x429px) Image search: [Google]
woolie feelin it.png
291KB, 500x429px
>>49474355
>my players are almost 9th level
>the fighter/cleric-soon-paladin has a shield I homebrewed that gives more AC
>every party member has at least one magic item that fits their character theme, by happenstance or plot (including that shield, which has been turned magical and customized to fit him)
>they've been tight enough on gold that spending it in any amount beyond necessities has been painstaking for them
>they're on a mission from a powerful wizard-king to save the world who recognizes their abilities
>each of them have a personal stake in their mission outside of their own survival
>I've woven all their backstories and the actions of the party into the story as it's gone along
>I plan on giving everyone an in-game resolution to their personal conflicts by the campaign's end, if not then a personalized epilogue
>they're going to be fighting a dragon with a sizable hoard within the next three sessions
>>
>>49474367

Well, the Favored Enemy is great (picked humanoids) so the added damage is juicy. My Halfling has +4 Dex modifier thanks to the racials so it's nice picking shit off esp since my initative rolls have been on the good end. Sadly my constitution is not so good (-1) so I'm being careful as fuck.

I'm tempted to multiclass one level of Rogue just for the Sneak attack.

Though I admit, I'm no theorycrafter but so far, I'm liking what I've chosen so far.
>>
>>49474355
>party just hit level 7, going strong with creative solutions to different kinds of bossfights
>setting has some occasional magic item collectors/dealers in sufficiently large cities, characters are happy with the equipment they've been able to purchase/loot from powerful foes
>characters spend gold on such items, and also on services from NPCs
>players are currently being hailed as heroes in the last couple of towns/cities they've visited after saving another from annihilation
>I'm the GM and each character has a large background quest planned, we're currently following the first clues of one of the player's
>dragons reside in the less civilized north, where the party is heading

Feels good being a DM that my players like
>>
What are your favored cantrips for more creative uses? I'm going to be playing an arcane trickster soon, and while prestidigitation and minor illusion seem obvious alongside the mandatory mage hand, is there any merit to something like mold earth instead?
>>
>>49474355
>when a DM just barfs out so many magical items you know that if the campaign even went to level 10 you'd have a magical item for every part of the body, suited for a level 30 adventurer
>5eface.jpg
>>
>>49474460

>went to spectate a friend DM running a game for the rest of our friends who want to get into D&D
>DM is using Lost Mines of Phandelver
>he adds a lot of homebrew encounters not in the book to spice it up
>A wagon chase scene on the way to Phandalin
>A sad backstory the adventurers can uncover regarding the Redbrands, and Glasstaff
>modified "A Most Potent Brew" adventure into the story with the brewery located outside of Phandalin
>he has showed me notes that he has the first of the character arcs for each of the 5 players that tie to the story of Lost Mines

I have this tendency to not join a group who are doing an adventure I already ran cause I can't help but not separate my own player knowledge from my character's knowledge but man I feel jealous that I didn't join. Still, it's nice seeing our friends going nuts with the game. Lost Mines is already a good module in itself, now I kinda wanna do my own Lost Mines of Phandelver+ for my siblings.
>>
Are there people that let the dice decide their attributes?
>>
>>49474598
Yes, and there's nothing wrong with it if you're in a group that either fully understands what it can lead to, or in a group that is too casual to care.

Now fuck off.
>>
>>49474673
Why are you so upset?
>>
>>49473758
Right the Dragonfear expertise in persuasion is worded weird. Love the Aranea and how you knew that adding a shapeshifting on top will make them op. Catfolk are lackluster. Kobold feats are outright ridiculously OP. Not only you gain 2 in one stat, equal to ASI, but you also gain additional bonuses.
About the Kitsune casting firebolt as first level spell? Firebolt is a cantrip do you mean burning hands? Also the racial feats is again ridiculously OP.
The Kappa seems too weak outside of water based campaign. Maybe give it speed of 25ft. and advantage on stealth checks while in water?
Hmm Vanaraa also seems weak. Maybe give it the feat as part of the race? But dual wielding + shield shenanigans.
Vishkanya's toxic blood requires giving up too much for way to little. Maximum of 5 poison dmg at the cost of hit dice is not worth it.
Will give the rest a look later. What I notice is that you like to give races advantage on certain skills. While not too much overpowered it kinda replace some unique features that can be added
>>
File: lost mines of phandelver.jpg (173KB, 640x697px) Image search: [Google]
lost mines of phandelver.jpg
173KB, 640x697px
So, /5eg/, we have several adventures out now and it's been a few weeks since the last one came out. How would you rate the following and why?
>Lost Mines of Phandelver
>Tyranny of Dragons
>Princes of the Apocalypse
>Out of the Abyss
>Curse of Strahd
>Storm King's Thunder

Also, do we know anything about the next adventure?
>>
>>49473911
Fair enough point. I went ahead and made the change.

>>49473904
Huh. Well, thank you for your generosity.

>>49473758
>>49473785
Vyrkola first draft is up. With 5e losing 4e's healing surge mechanics (a big step back in my opinion), this one required a fair bit of rejiggering.

>>49474709
Thank you very much for the feedback!

In general, tweaking the feats is very much something I want to do; we know that racial feats can boost a race's potential by a lot - look at the Deep Magic feat for Svirfneblin, which lets them cast Nondetection at will and Blindness/Deafness, Blur and Disguise Self all 1/day. But, you're right, it's easy to take it from "strengthening a race's theme" to overpowered, and that's something I need to work on. I'd love to find more balanced things for them all.

Yeah, I kind of worried about the Catfolk, Kappa and Vanara. Definitely want to talk about ways to beef them all up.

If I can boost Toxic Blood for the Vishkanya, or generally augment them, then I'd love to discuss how.

As for replacing "advantage on X" with other, more unique features... if you're willing to talk shop about how to make it happen, I'm all ears. Advantage on X is kind of the default "expected" trait.

Heh, actually, I figured that shapeshifting between giant spider/hybrid/humanoid form was kind of pointless for Aranea, but glad to hear I actually dodged an overpowering bullet there. Any other critiques about them?
>>
>>49474017
It's pretty neat.
Great for underground or night combat as your darkvision will be of a longer range than most other creatures, with the exception of stuff like Drow.
>>
Is it unreasonable to let a Paladin take the TWF fighting style instead of one of the others?
I'm the DM, I think it should be okay but I need to know if it'd knock the balance or anything.
>>
What would happen if d20 rolls were substituted by 2d10?
>>
>>49474776
Vryloka racial feat is ridiculously powerful. There is literally no reason to take ASI over it at 4th level.
>>
>>49474355
>you will never have a +1 weapon
This one irks me because it's absolutely ridiculous.
There's one fairly early in the starter set.
I've played 1 session with my group and the paladin has it already.
>>
>>49471942
Is it supposed to be missing issue 89 and 90?
>>
>>49474815
1d20 has equal distribution of possible outcomes.

2d10 is heavily weighted towards producing the mean result of 11.

Also, 2d10 only has 19 possible results, 2-20.
>>
File: 2d10 vs d20.png (6KB, 713x338px) Image search: [Google]
2d10 vs d20.png
6KB, 713x338px
>>49474815
This would.
You'd obviously have to make some amends to crits, both fails and successes due to the change in odds (i.e. no 1s, 20s are 5 times less likely)
I'm no expert but I think you might have to re-jig some AC math too
>>
>>49474858
>>49474859
I get the maths, mostly wondering how it would affect the gameplay, balance, feel etc. One thing is advantage wouldn't be as good I think.
>>
>>49474887
Yep.
And I think you'd have to knock down the HP of over-AC'd monsters such as Animated Armor and Helmed Horrors(?) or they'd be even more of a chore to fight than they already are.
>>
>>49474757
>Phandelver
breddy gud/10, great introduction to 5e basically.

>Tyranny of Dragons
Only played Hoard of the Dragon Queen half, 2/10. Awful balance in terms of encounters and the amount of magic items the players can find in the campaign, large amounts of various kinds of errata, extremely lacking detail in places. The book itself was really terribly edited, and information was all over the place. This one might be subjective, but not a great amount of motivation to drive the players either. The final chapter was a neat setpiece, which is the best I can say.
>>
>>49474887
>>49474898
Oh, and you'd obviously lose the "classic feel" of d20 rolls to do stuff.
Maybe you change the advantage system to something like adv lets you take the higher of 2d10 and double it, dis makes you take the lower of 2d10 and double it for your result.
The math obviously isn't 1:1 but it might be interesting.
>>
File: 1457317388731.jpg (26KB, 408x486px) Image search: [Google]
1457317388731.jpg
26KB, 408x486px
>>49474827
>tfw 8th level fighter with no magic weapons
>>
>>49474813
TWF is usually worse than just using a great sword with GWM, so it's perfectly fine for a paladin to dual wield
The one problem you may run into though is him smitting 3 times per turn because 3 attacks, but if you throw the appropriate amount of encounters at the party it'll work against him to burn all of his daily resources in a couple of turns

>>49474966
Fucking inform your DM that you're completely useless without one
and if he doesn't give one, kill of your character and build some cheesy sorclock that just destroys encounters
>>
>>49474966
Yikes.
What the fuck is wrong with your DM?
Even if they don't like +bonuses they could just give you a sword that counts as magic for damage purposes and has some minor effect, like pointing north when you set it down on the ground.
>>
>>49475017
Fair enough, I just have a player who wants to dual wield rather than use one big weapon or a sword and board, and I don't think Defense really suits them.
>>
>>49474776
Lets see. Lizardfolk are also little bit weak. How about giving them proficiency and the ability to craft spears and the shield from monster manual. 1d4 piercing + Str dmg. Have to be proficient with this specific shield or improvised weapons.
Aranea are great. A bit above the rest of the races but bellow elfs and dwarfs. If we follow this guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/edit#heading=h.xp1isq31j3q4 they ended up around 7pts. Maybe make it instead of 2 cantrips just 1 of your choice. Racial feats are also great and augment the race without being too OP.
About the unique features instead of advantage on X the tunnel rat feature is an amazing example. Its completely new, not powerful and full of flavor. Use it as example.
Lets see for Catfolk make the unarmed dmg 1d4. Hmmm new feature....How about 9 lives: if you are to die from damage taken or failed death saving throws roll a d10. On 8 or lower you come back with 1hp. The threshold is reduced by 1 each time you use this feature. On 0 you lose this ability. Or Silent Stalker: While being stealth and not wearing shoes you do not make any noise unless you choose to. Creatures can not detect you on hearing alone unless they have echolocation or tremmorsense. Then they made their checks with disadvantage. Not the best and its really hard to come up with new ones.
How about the damage on Toxic Blood be like rolling a hit dice. 1dx+Con.
>>
>>49475024
make sure to give him 2 magic dual wielding weapons so you aren't like the DM of >>49474966
>>
>>49475080
They've got one already but it's a longsword so they can't TWF with it until level 4 (if they take the feat).
Besides, being a Paladin they can deal magical damage when they need to so it's not such an issue.
>>
File: we did it patrick.jpg (36KB, 500x324px) Image search: [Google]
we did it patrick.jpg
36KB, 500x324px
>talk to new player for a game
>CG halfling bard
>while he hasn't got the full story down the basic gist is that he wants to stop all wars
>He wants to do this by summoning an old one, so that everyone will fight against it instead.
>I'm actually down for this
>Both of us are aware of how this'll probably end

Can't wait.
>>
>>49475089
If you really wanna make sure you're not the shitty DM, remove the Resistance/Immunity to non magical blugeoning/slash/piercing damage. It's a feature that either makes some players completely useless (no magic weapons) or doesn't come into play (players have magical weapons)
>>
>>49475121
I'm not too worried about that.
They're low-level at the moment and new to RPGs so they're interested in seeing stuff like this come into play - although I sometimes accidentally forget to check the resistances of enemies.
That's only happened once with a small group of skeletons though, and one of them was doing bludgeoning anyway.
>>
Has anyone run a modern day 5e campaign?
>>
How well would a Giant-Frog pet work with the new ranger?

It looks good on paper, but has low stats. First ASI I'd put into Con and Dex to give it 14 and 12 respectively, then start boosting strength.

It's to hit, damage and DC will be low for a while with no great defenses, but restraint-on-hit is huge and swallowing small creatures is fantastic. Thoughts? Also going halfling so I can ride him for mobility and jumps.
>>
Does /5eg/ run any games together?
>>
>>49471469
Barbarian-monk multiclass.
I'd recommend 3 levels in barbarian for either wolf (if you have a lot of melee friends) or bear (for tankiness) barbarian.

Barbarian is the go-to for 'I want to do X class, but with strength' as the +2 damage boost and reckless attack only applies with strength and they get advantage on strength while raging.
>>
>>49472568
I love the taste of salty magic user tears.
>>
File: 1402657897404.gif (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1402657897404.gif
3MB, 1280x720px
>>49472872
>rip a book out of JRPG's and have them join an adventuring guild
>mfw I literally did this as an excuse to run a bunch of modules that I had kicking around
I highly recommend this format btw. You can basically have the players do whatever you want and all the justification you need is "guild mission". If you want to really go for the authentic guild flavor, make a bunch of fellow adventurer NPCs, and you'll never run out of role play material
>>
>>49472376

Ha ha, joke's on you!
Just today I finished playing with an all catgirl party!
>>
>>49472920
not much, but a good ranger does need high perception, mostly to notice things
>>
>>49475908
Not really, nearly every class can take perception and hell wizards just grab an owl for 10gp passive perception 18. It's just for the What do your elf eyes see meme.
>>
>>49475983
unless you can make the owl a familiar, I don't see how it can help to snipe things with a longbow

Not that familiar with 5e, by the way
>>
File: 1457060367639.gif (898KB, 540x400px) Image search: [Google]
1457060367639.gif
898KB, 540x400px
>>49472872
>rip a book out of JRPG's and have them join an adventuring guild
>mfw I literally did this as an excuse to run a bunch of modules that I had kicking around
I highly recommend this format btw. You can basically have the players do whatever you want and all the justification you need is "guild mission". If you want to really go for the authentic guild flavor, make a bunch of fellow adventurer NPCs, and you'll never run out of role play material
>>
>>49475120
that sounds more like neutral to me, but aside from that I feels pretty solid. I wonder how is he going to do it
>>
>>49475717
It also has the upside of being able to sideline and add new characters at frequent intervals realistically.
>Joe the cleric has religious duties this week, heres Terry the druid to assist in this mission.
>>
File: meh.ro11558.jpg (320KB, 621x621px) Image search: [Google]
meh.ro11558.jpg
320KB, 621x621px
>>49476056
>adventuring guild
>>
I've been hinting at and selling a "new and unexplored" continent to my players, and they are about to embark on the sea journey to there. It's basically notAustralia (small settlements on the coast, vastly unexplored wilds of all different terrain).

Now I'm having doubts, because this is my chance to do any number of things. Help me decide?

> Full homebrew setting of a deadly unexplored vastness
> Zendikar
> Run Isle of Dread
> Storm that sucks them into Plane of Water

This open endedness is giving me choice paralysis as the DM.
>>
File: 1459940144624.gif (2MB, 400x616px) Image search: [Google]
1459940144624.gif
2MB, 400x616px
How often do you fudge your rolls to stop a complete party wipe?

At which point do you stop the characters your players have been working on for weeks from dying?
>>
>>49474220
>>49474282

What's your statline? Can't recommend classes to MC into if we don't know what classes you can take.
>>
>>49476085
Slivers. Have them be borg-esque, everytime the PCs win an encounter, the next group they fight adapts to deal with the issue.
Slashing weapons cutting them up? Troll regeneration.
Fireballs causing bad times? They stop grouping up.
Strafing runs? They grow fucking wings.

Force the PCs to constantly alter their own fighting styles.
>>
I'm reading through Storm King's Thunder right now. Quick question about the Eye of the All-Father:

How are the players supposed to take the giant weapons and figure out what runes they should touch? Some of those spells look like they'd straight up kill the party, but they're supposed to use trial and error?
>>
>>49476157
You. I like you. Slivers is something I've ALWAYS wanted to do in a D&D game. I'm down.
>>
>>49476085
You are clearly a subpar DM then. I feel sorry for your players.
>>
File: timfollindotpng.jpg (43KB, 500x290px) Image search: [Google]
timfollindotpng.jpg
43KB, 500x290px
>>49476059

We've talked through it a bit, and since we're doing a mid-level game he'll be doing an artifact hunt sort of thing for his personal quest in which he's already collected a few bits which is basically a narrative reason for him to get about as many adventures related to his goals as the others in lieu of him being able to summon such a creature by his own power.
>>
>>49476111
I used to, but don't anymore, because I want to kill the pcs now.
>>
File: Planar Bestiary 5e.jpg (274KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
Planar Bestiary 5e.jpg
274KB, 612x792px
Does anybody have a pdf of the Planar bestiary on DM's Guild they can share?

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/193100/Planar-Bestiary?hot60=1&src=hottest_filtered&filters=45469
>>
>>49476111
You don't. Just make the encounters reasonably challenging.
>>
>>49474757
>Lost Mine of Phandelver
8 out of 10. Great introductory adventure, can be used as a starting point for a full-fledged campaign.

>Tyranny of Dragons
5 out of 10. Tiamat is one of the hypest D&D villains, but the adventure's a bit railroady and assumes the PCs are going to do exactly what they must and not what they want.

7 out of 10. A fuckhuge sandbox adventure featuring the Dessarin Valley, there's vivid descriptions for each town and its inhabitants, has a really neat beginning chapter and has a lot of interesting dungeons and plot-twists. That would be its main problem, too much dungeon and each one of them is really convoluted and complicated. Also the "plot" of the adventure is distributed all over the book in a confusing way.

>Out of the Abyss
6 out of 10. Amazing introduction, notable NPCs, but since the sandbox is too big this time (the whole Underdark) it can be really difficult for not-veteran DMs to handles, specially considering how the adventure handles travelling. Other than that, it also serves as an excelent Sourcebook for the Underdark (see chapter 2).

>Curse of Strahd
8/10 it's okay.

>Storm King's Thunder
Haven't played it.
>>
>>49476378
>highest score to Curse of Strahd
>"it's okay"
>>
File: assassin.jpg (101KB, 500x528px) Image search: [Google]
assassin.jpg
101KB, 500x528px
>>49472203
>they are probably the best designed class in the game along with Rogue.

The rogue is good to a point, but it runs out of steam at level 11 (not counting archetypes which are a mixed bag). If you're playing a pure rogue you don't have much to look forward to after that, the features you get are mediocre for the level you get them, and you get very little that boosts your utility in the party while similar classes like the bard are picking up the best spells in the game.

The barbarian is better designed, it has a nice spread of good features from 1-20.
>>
>>49476392
>not getting the meme.
>>
>>49474757
>Lost Mines of Phandelver
7/10, mediocre.
>Tyranny of Dragons
6/10, boring.
8/10, could be worse.
>Out of the Abyss
7/10, nice.
>Curse of Strahd
9/10, more or less bearable.
>Storm King's Thunder
6/10, pretty good.
>>
Why are you all essentially calling Curse of Strahd shit?
>>
>>49476293
Just buy it already, you've been asking for ages
>>
>>49476506
it's getting 8/9 out of 10, anon, what more do you want?

>>49476378
this guy was clearly joking about it, given the reviews he gave the others.
>>49476486
this guy just doesn't seem to like premade adventures all that much.
>>
>>49476404
Barbarians feel weird to me. They get all this crit stuff but the actual crit boosts sit with fighter.
>>
>>49476404
Rogues are the only martial class worth playing from a minmaxing perspective. No martial class other than rogues qualifies as good design.

The best designed class IMO is warlock. It strikes the best balance between damage, utility, and role-playing hooks.
>>
File: smile and optimism.png (259KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
smile and optimism.png
259KB, 640x480px
>>49476183
Some are fairly obvious - the stone goes with the stone giant, the shitty club with the hill giants.
Harshnag knows which one goes with the ice giants.
In terms of the actual runes themselves I'd say this section is poorly written and the players should be introduced to the runes when they see giants earlier in the adventure, so if they're attentive they'll know at least some of them.
It's one of those things where you probably have to change it because of weird writing - kind of like the hags in Strahd that are so overleveled and cartoonishly evil that every party will likely fight them and die - to the point where Perkins, who was one of the creators of the adventure, changed them to a much lower leveled challenge when he ran it.
tl;dr it's poorly written consider introducing the runes earlier so that the players can recognise them
>>
>>49476562
And yet gameplay wise it literally becomes a one-trick pony if you don't want to be viewed as not-contributing or worthless by a party.
>>
>>49476562
How's that?
>>
>>49476532
I think the second guy is memeing as well seeing as his lowest score was "pretty good" and his highest was "bearable".
Also because he said ToD is on par with with SKT which is clearly retarded.
>>
>>49476526
I'll stop asking when someone posts it! Someone's posted the other good stuff on DM's Guild here before so it'll pop up eventually. until then I'm gonna keep asking.
>>
>>49476586
Thats what I was suspecting. I'm ok with having like two or three runes that they have to use trial and error on. But it just seemed silly to me that they'd potentially take hundreds and hundreds of damage just to brute force a puzzle.

I think the bedrooms upstairs would be a good place for a few rune hints, plus the cloud giant could have some runes in his floating castle.
>>
>>49476607
Who becomes a one trick pony? Warlocks or rogues? I'd say your wrong on both accounts.

>>49476608
I'm assuming you're referring to my statement that non rogue fightan type classes aren't worth playing if you're min maxing. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

In 5e, the designers took great pains to ensure that all the classes had adequate damage. Granted, magic types tend to do less damage than fightan types, but they still deal enough damage. The difference between time to kill an average opponent for a caster and a martial is usually only one round. Casters easily make up this difference with disabling spells, such as hold person, AoE spells, such as fireball, and kiting spells, such as misty step.

So combat wise, casters and martials are even. But out of combat, martials, except rogues, can't keep up. All classes have roughly equal access to skills and proficiencies, except rogues and bards. Rogues being the king of skills let's them keep up with casters and the out of combat utility that spells bring to the table.

This is IMO 5es most obnoxious flaw. There's no mechanical reason or reward to play a fightan man.
>>
>>49476717
Guess it depends on how attentive you think your players are.
You could put the runes on giants they encounter earlier - for example, on the rod or some clothing of the fire giants searching for the Vonindod pieces in Triboar, on on the sails of frost giant ships, etc.
>>
>>49476607
>literally a one trick pony

>At X level, your Warlock transforms into a miniature horse. It loses all class features, abilities and proficiencies. You gain the 'performance' proficiency for one trick of your choice, and are incapable of doing anything else.

I get what you're saying, but the Warlock is far from "literally" a one trick pony. The low spell slots are limiting, but invocations and pacts do grant reliable utility, and make for some great RPing.
>>
How would you do a LG barbarian?
>>
>>49476808
Here's just really angry when people break the law or escape justice.
>>
>>49476808
Honorable and sticks to his principles.
Puts the need of others before himself.
Same as you'd make any LG character, despite what people think class doesn't have (or at least have to have) all that much bearing on the personality of a character,
>>
>>49476768
There's not much of a point in doing the frost giant runes though, since the Giant NPC knows that one already.

But yes, that's basically what I was thinking. Kind of annoying that it doesn't really work if the players go to Bryn Shander since that's also frost giants.

I imagine the runes would also be listed in some sort of depiction of the Ordning. Like a tapestry showing the hierarchy that's got so many moth holes that only a few runes are visible.
>>
>>49476825
The same as any other LG character, just with anger issues.
Alternativly, a native american war chief comes to mind: someone is is as forcibly calm/stern as they are angry.
>>
>>49476808
>in a burning orphanage, trying to save children
>support beam collapses
>HULK OUT AND CATCH IT TO SAVE SOME KID

Backstory-wise, there's a couple ways to go.
Could be a villager who was heavily abused as a child, and through that, learned to harness his rage as a source of power- but he has trouble controlling it, so he doesn't use it often. He nearly killed his abusive father, but managed to hold back enough to get him to a cleric.

Could also do an actual barbarian; son of a clan's leader, aspires to be as great as his (also LG or NG) father. He has gone on a journey to prove himself to his clan, as part of their ancient tradition.
>>
>>49476808
He comes from a place where there is no law, but honour, tradition, and the will of the tribe dictate the correct actions. "Good" things are highly valued here, looking after others, doing well by your neighbours to keep the peace, taking on evil and injustice when it arises.
No matter where he goes, he recognises the law as an extended version of this same agreement of people, and does his best to respect the new, larger, more difficult to intuit tribes and their values while he adventures, but still adheres to his ideals.
Just make sure he's not an idiot and it works fine.
>>
>>49476873
Yeah, that's the kind of think you want to do.
Tapestries, old tomes, etc.
Hell, if the party brings this up beforehand and wants to research the runes then let them.
Maybe they locate an art collector who has some old tapestry depicting the creation of the Ordning, and they can pay or get in with them socially to arrange a private viewing.
>>
>>49476808
http://www.kiplingsociety.co.uk/poems_lawofjungle.htm
>>
>>49476903
When they say "read the whole campaign ahead of time" I wasn't expecting it to mean "fill on holes for poorly written sections of story/puzzles."
>>
File: 1473580505362.jpg (430KB, 996x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1473580505362.jpg
430KB, 996x1400px
Am I imagining things, or is the Purple Dragon Knight fighter archetype trash?
>Rallying Cry: can heal three party members HP equal to your fighter level when you use Second Wind
>Royal Envoy: admittedly not bad. 2x proficiency in Persuasion, and if you already have Persuasion, can pick another skill
>Inspiring Surge: let an ally take one attack when you use Action Surge, and the 17th level feature is letting TWO allies attack
>Bulwark: when you use Indomitable for an Int, Wis, or Cha save, an ally affected by the same effect can reroll their save too

Most of their features come off as either disappointingly underwhelming or in the case of Bulwark, so fiddly and situational that it might never actually get used. I noticed Sean K. Reynolds's name in the book's credits as a lead designer, so I imagine he's to blame for the PDK being as awful as it is, because martials are never allowed to have nice things when he's involved.
>>
>>49477044
No, it is definitely trash. Like most of the stuff to come from the scag.
>>
>>49477083
Glad I'm not the only one. I'm tempted to make it my next fixer-upper homebrew project. Make all the numbers bigger, make everything more useful in more situations, just an all-around buff to make it something fighter players would actually want to take, instead of something they look at and wrinkle their nose like they smelled something bad.
>>
>>49477044
It's definitely not taking the Battlemaster's position as most likely the best archetype for typical fighter stuff, but it's really strong later on. Rallying cry with a level 10 fighter is over 40 healing on bonus action.

Inspiring Surge can give a paladin another smite when they need it. Or two paladin smites.

Indomitable seems meh but you'll be happy to have it when a save means you don't take an extra 40 damage.

It's horrible and painful to do in the lower levels and I would never start one below 5.
>>
>>49474757

I've gotta give Storm King's Thunder some praise for being a near-sourcebook in terms of the Savage Frontier. SCAG + STK = As much material as you'd ever need to run a sandbox campaign in that region.

The adventure itself has a nice structure to it, too, and of all the published modules I think its use of the milestone leveling makes the most sense. I own all the modules so far and STK might be my favorite, but I'm a huge faggot so who knows.
>>
>>49477044
Yeah it's terrible. What it gives you is so blatantly not a replacement for what you're losing by not picking another Fighter archetype. I don't know who came up with it but it reads like some shitty third party thing.
>>
File: Enrage.jpg (48KB, 538x397px) Image search: [Google]
Enrage.jpg
48KB, 538x397px
>>49476729
>Rogues being the king of skills

The rogue has two main "skillmonkey" features, Expertise and Reliable Talent, of which Expertise is the most important. The bard also gets Expertise, albeit a few levels later than the rogue, and their own unique feature Jack of All Trades. Beyond level 11, neither class gets much in the way of skillmonkey features, but the bard continues getting better and better spells, many of which directly or indirectly improve your skills. For example, the rogue at level 18 picks up Elusive, their best high level feature, which prevents enemies from getting advantage on you. One level earlier the bard can pick up Foresight, a spell with a duration of 8 hours (no concentration) which not only imposes outright disadvantage on all enemies trying to attack you, but also gives you advantage on everything else you do, including skill rolls. So while the rogue might be the king of skills at lower levels, the bard is king of skills later on (in addition to all the other stuff they can do).

By contrast, the barbarian does at least remain the king (or maybe co-king with the fighter) of survivability and damage right up to level 20, and in some respects they end up being the best class for STR checks. That's why I think it's better designed, the barbarian starts off good and gets better, the rogue starts good and stagnates.
>>
Any of you guys know if there's some kind of stat-line reference compilation for the current 5E monsters, or at least what's in the monster manual? Just like a 20-something page PDF of all their basic stats, without any fluff, in really small print, so I can print one off and have it handy when I start running 5E this weekend.

I mean something like pic related, but for 5E instead of 1E in this example. It's handy to have one with the basic stats for spur of the moment improvisation as a DM.

If not I'll get to work on doing one myself.
>>
>>49477219
I'm just going to blame Sean K. "I Hate Martials" Reynolds. He and Jason Buhlman should be flipping burgers and pumping gas, not designing games.
>>
>>49477044
>Rallying Cry: can heal three party members HP equal to your fighter level when you use Second Wind
This should just apply to all allies within a certain radius.
>Royal Envoy: admittedly not bad. 2x proficiency in Persuasion, and if you already have Persuasion, can pick another skill
This isn't bad but it's not exactly class feature tier. It's also kind of awkwardly put together. I would just give the PDK Persuasion automatically at 3rd level when you choose the archetype, and have it upgrade to 2 x Proficiency when you get your 2nd or 3rd ability.
>Inspiring Surge: let an ally take one attack when you use Action Surge, and the 17th level feature is letting TWO allies attack
Honestly not that bad, but I'd maybe sub this back to where Royal Envoy is, make it move or attack, and have it go 1/2/3.
>Bulwark: when you use Indomitable for an Int, Wis, or Cha save, an ally affected by the same effect can reroll their save too
This should be rewritten entirely. I would even make this whenever you *make a save* an ally can reroll a save, and it makes your Indomitable just have you automatically pass the save (and then maybe +action or +other bonus too)

Even then the class archetype does not really hang together very well.
>>
tg, what's a good wizard familiar to teleport inside a goliath barbarian's gut, and shocking grasp him to death from the inside?

I'm thinking the crawling claw, because it doesn't need to breathe.
>>
>>49477335
RAW, this can't happen, and there's no precedent, so whatever you like
>>
>>49477391

RAW doesn't say it can't happen. It says I can conjure it on an unnocupied space

A tiny creature can fit inside a Medium-Large creature stomach, if it bypasses the esophagus

But assuming it can happen anyway, I still need a familiar that can resist a couple of rounds inside the beast
>>
>>49477248
You're overestimating the bards skill features.
Jack of all trades is a plus three at level 20. Advantage from foresight is roughly a plus five, and can't guarantee anything like the rogues features can. Imagine having a minimum roll of 25 for the best skills in the game (persuasion, deception, stealth, athletics, all arguably the best, and all rogue skills) That's a rogue, and that's why they're better at skills.
>>
>>49473758
No Shadar-Kai?
>>
>>49477428
Let's say first, that the stomach has a massive air bubble in it, and isn't like normal people stomachs and is just compressed.
Going by the monster manuals, creatures that are swallowed are usually restrained inside the swallower. It would just be better to attack from the outside
>>
>>49477428
Unoccupied space means no creature is in that area. Grids make this clear, though the rule is the same without a battle map.
>>
>>49477191
I'm a big fan of how they've been making these campaign modules more like campaign guides. It kills two birds with one stone: you don't need a setting guide book AND the adventure book. You've got both right there.
>>
With Curse of Strahd, I find it completely bullshit Mordenkainen lost against Strahd, I mean this is Mordenkainen ffs.
>>
>>49477458
>Jack of all trades is a plus three at level 20
Jack is best at low levels when the +1 is relatively more of your total bonus compared to the +2 from proficiency.
>>
>>49477469

restrained is a bit useless against a Shocking Grasp spell. You literally can't miss contact, especially if you're a crawling claw, that doesn't need to breathe

>>49477479

Is there any express statement of this?

My table is big on RAW, but that leaves a lot of exploits open
>>
>>49474491
In the LMoP campaign I'm currently running the players decided that it was a good idea to stray far as fuck off the railroad path and instead go to Neverwinter.
Of course they managed to get themselves into trouble almost immediately (pissing off a handful of powerful factions in one fell swoop), ended up breaking out of the city dungeons (through the help of an inside man on the city's payroll) and they are now pretty damn sure that they can never return.

They also have all but forgot the promise they made to a strange scholar that they met in Phandelver. A promise they will remember in the next session that will (probably, unless they do go off the rails again which isn't unheard of, Waterdeep ahoy?) take them into the old ruins of an ancient elven temple where the feywild is constantly overlapping.
>>
>>49477568
Creature size, space, page 191 on the phb.
>>
File: mysteryofthedragonqueen.gif (1MB, 597x336px) Image search: [Google]
mysteryofthedragonqueen.gif
1MB, 597x336px
Newbie here. I'm gonna be playing 5e for teh first time, I'm thinking of going rogue/cleric multiclass. How viable is it?

More importantly is it fun?
>>
File: vecna.jpg (893KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
vecna.jpg
893KB, 1920x1200px
>>49477706

I'm not a bit fan of multiclassing. In 3.5 it was a necessary evil, but in 5e, the classes are well-constructed and flexible enough that there's no reason to fuck around like that.

What's your character concept? You can probably do it as a straight trickery domain cleric, or a bard with healing spells. The latter would make you a very effective preacher and religious leader, with skills and full spell progression.
>>
>>49477784
I'm going for a Frollo like priest (the guy from Hunchback of Notre Dame) who's willing to do anything necessary for the chosen faith.
>>
>>49477844
Seems like a Dex based paladin of vengeance desu.
>>
>>49477905
I'll keep that in mind, and start boning up on research
>>
>>49477844
Cleric seems spot on, but what is it that you are expecting to receive from Rogue? There's no reason that your character can't be that way as a pure cleric; just give him a severe, superior additude, and a willingness to do 'whatever is necessary".

I like the char, but you can do it with just fluff and RP. Don't go rogue unless you expect/need something from it.
>>
Any tips for running a D-day style session?
>Hobgoblins invade from sea, a darker more powerful force guiding and influencing them
>Quarreling kingdoms refuse to help each other
>They fall one by one, the armies exhausted and half dead after years of drawn out war
>Last ditch alliance cobbles together a mess of conscripts, veterans, anyone who can fight to land on the beaches of the hobgoblin staging island to push them back and cut off their supply lines
>>
>>49477633

Ah, bugger. Thanks.
>>
>>49477044
>>49477110
>>49477219
It seems like a good start for the PDK would be to give it something akin to Bardic Inspiration. The 3.5 incarnation actually had Inspire Courage like the bard feature.
>>
What do you do when a player wild shapes / polymorphs into a fly or roach or flea, tries to get inside a (person/monster/creature) and then either drop form or shape into something (large / huge)?
>>
>>49478157
Make stuff up.
>>
>>49474483

Mold earth lets you control the terrain, dig ditches and prepare the battlefield.
Combine it with Minor illusion to become a trap master.
>>
Over the course of 30 years, a 16 year old with magic, old-world determination, and some can-do no-holds-barred attitude has converted his small fishing village into a powerful island nation that is the main hub between 2 continents.

He kinda does a Batman / Bruce Wayne thing keeping the waters safe from piracy, while ruling the island. I don't want to call him king.

What's a good self-appointed title for him?
>>
>>49478157
I would rule that any damage taken, is taken by both the druid and whatever he's inside of, assuming the creature is too small to fit a medium humanoid inside it. I make the creature make a con saving throw, if he fails, the druid gets to full size inside them. If he succeeds, his body manages to delay the body expansion of the druid inside him.

Either way it's bludgeoning damage for both of them.
>>
>>49478239
Saltlord
>>
>>49478157
Two options come to mind.

Tell the player no, because wild shapes have to be beasts, and none of what you mentioned is.

Opposed Constitution ability checks, with the loser suffering instant death.
>>
>>49474966
Magic initiate is your friend.
Get those SCAG cantrips.
Now you have a "magic weapon" since you are casting a spell so it bypasses the resistance to non magical attacks.
>>
>>49478239
The Law
Harbormaster
Captain
>>
>>49478157
>What do you do when a player wild shapes / polymorphs into a fly or roach or flea

They're not in the MM, so they can't.
>>
>>49478239
Mr. Salty
>>
>>49477947
Divination magic wins and loses wars in D&D. If you don't have these spells or ways to counter them used in your game your PCs will destroy the enemy easily with its utility.

Sending can send messages across the world, so a scouting team can send back information immediately. Or reinforcements can be called in an instant. Scrying does the same thing but even better cause you can name someone and if you know a lot about them the spell is more reliable.

Conjuration Magic is also incredibly powerful as everything from conjuring monsters to conjuring safe places for troops to stay.

Basically if you want the battle to be close make sure they are countering each other with the magic or if you want one side to be pounding the other in the ass have that side using divination magic.
>>
What are some good ideas for a druid charlatan?
>>
Insect druid based spec. Circle of the hive.

Give me ideas.
>>
>>49478901

Wild Shape: Swarm Form.
>>
Does Holy Water work against hags?
>>
>>49479028
Sea and Green hags no, Night Hags yes.
>>
File: tumblr_n6z8w0OwA11snpu61o2_250.gif (1MB, 245x150px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n6z8w0OwA11snpu61o2_250.gif
1MB, 245x150px
>>49478901
> Wings
> Conjure / Speak with Swarms
> Additional Acid damage / Resistance to acid

Wild Shape: Insect Swarm
> Can split into parts a la https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWn5SN4FRJc and Oozes
> Can squeeze into spaces at no additional cost
>>
>>49479055
Good because I set fire to the mill in Curse of Strahd and the Night Hags are now after my ass.
Apparently there were children there too...
>>
>>49478981
Since swarms are beasts, you can already do that. Now a feature that let them bypass the other restrictions (such as no fly speed until 8th level) might be neat.
>>
>>49479165
Wild shape is singular. You can't use it to transform into swarms.
>>
>>49478817
The leader of a hippie commune where members give up all their worldly possessions in favor of living off the land in tune with nature. And since they're not doing anything with all those worldly possessions, the druid kindly holds onto them so the others don't have to worry about them.
>>
>>49479109
Don't lose any sleep over it it's a Sweeney Todd deal, the children might have been dead already.
>>
>>49479307
>>49479109
And isn't it true that 90% of Barovians are soulless automata? So 90% of the time when you kill and eat someone it isn't really murder. Those kids were in all likelihood not "real" kids.
>>
>>49479215
Nothing in the feature states that swarms are exempt; all it mentions are the CR and restrictions on swimming/flying speeds. Swarms are beasts as per the Monster Manual. Therefore swarms are valid.
>>
>>49479329
I mean Strahd rules the land with tyranny and killing/using whoever he pleases, the kids probably are getting off light rather than getting murdered by lycanthropes scarecrows and[/spoilers][spoilers]PCs.[/spoilers]
>>
File: animator.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
animator.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Anyone give me some help with my class I am making?
Ignore the grammar,spelling mistakes they will be corrected.

Trying to think of ideas for huge animations and some balancing.
>>
So I thought Id leave this here, new-ish to dms guild. My friends and I wrote this roguelike for 5th ed.
>>
If a paladin takes a dip into fighter, do they get to choose another fighting style? Assuming they were at least two levels into pally.
>>
>>49479487
Yes but you aren't allowed to choose the same one twice.
>>
>>49479487

Yes, but you cannot double up on the same style e.g. take defensive twice.
>>
>>49479444
Seems good so far, if I were you I'd not worry about making it an entire class and instead make it a College for wizard with slowly scaling animating abilities.

Definitely take a look at the Awaken statistics cause those are all pretty good balance wise and starting with something from wizards rather than going bare is easier to understand and balance.
>>
>>49479351
Wild shape let's you transform into A beast. A as in singular. Swarms, when they are beasts, are listed as multiple beasts.
>>
>>49479560
[citation needed]
>>
>>49479560
>>49479779
Whether they're allowed or not, why would you care to wild shape into a swarm? Which of the swarms stands out as an impressive form to take for its CR?
>>
>>49479779
your action to
magically assume the shape o f a beast that you have
seen before. You can use this feature twice
PG 66 handbook
>>
>>49479542
Thanks.
>>
>>49479800
>impressive form

It's D&D, who the fuck cares why PC Druid McTree wants to turn into a swarm. It doesn't have to be the most optimal, or only restricted to X or Y because their numbers are bigger. It's simply a question of can or cannot.
>>
>>49479843
The point is if it's not some ridiculously powerful option, why not just say "sure you can do that"?
>>
File: moe desu.jpg (104KB, 775x719px) Image search: [Google]
moe desu.jpg
104KB, 775x719px
>>49472203
fighters are inferior to paladins, rogues are inferior to bards, barbarians are inferior to moon druids
>>
>>49479873
They all get to point and laugh at the PHB ranger.
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>49479779
I'll do you one better m8.

Notice how this isn't a beast, it's a swarm of tiny beasts. The creature type clearly states it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (539KB, 847x891px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
539KB, 847x891px
>>49476808
like this
>>
>>49479779
www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/29/swarm-wild-shape/
>>
>>49479996
While I agree, Chris Perkins isn't the rules guy. He's not any more authoritative than any of the DMs posting here.
>>
>>49479996
>>49479958
>>49479860
Well there you have it.

Now since you can't do it as per the NORMAL rules of Wild Shape, would it be admissable or a valid option for an archetype ability for a Druid of the Hive (or whatever that anon is trying to make).
>>
File: Colossus01_06.jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Colossus01_06.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
Tell me how would you do him in-game, /5eg/
>>
>>49480039
Yes.

I'm thinking turning wild shape into insects by default, and then later allowing swarms.

And adding insect entries, because they are sadly lacking.
>>
File: Wander_2.jpg (68KB, 1024x767px) Image search: [Google]
Wander_2.jpg
68KB, 1024x767px
>>49480054
another pic because archery
>>
>>49480039
Yeah I don't see why not. Keep the damage reasonable and make sure that people would still want to pick the other Circles over this one because of reasons.
>>
>>49480054
From behind, with a ladder.
>>
>>49479466
is this playable solo?
>>
>>49480090
oh, i meant wander.
>>
>>49477248
The barb has more survivability than a fighter, but a fighter does way more damage.
>>
>>49480110
Ranger for aesthetic or rogue second story work for all he climbing you have to do. Your waifu lays dead in a temple and you are on a mission from the mysterious being who is willing to Rez her to find a number of items for him. Outlander background. Hardly ever speaks.
>>
>>49477844
Be mine or YOU WILL BUUUUUURN.

Top tier soundtrack.
>>
>>49480164
I'm actually doing a similar story in my game.

Basically the players have found a sword that belonged to a legendary Demon Hunter, and the sword is guiding them to temples, each of them overrun by demons with a "boss" and altar of some kind. Destroying both destroys / crumbles the temple.

Each temple is actually a sealed part of a massively powerful Demon, and the last one will basically unleash the Demogorgon into the material plane.
>>
>>49480305
It's a good plot if nobody has played the game before.
>>
>>49473413
Pssom
>>
>>49473413
> Hingle Mcringleberry
> Quatro Quatro
> Ibrahim Moisoos
>>
Going to start my first game of 5e in more than a year (the last one barely lasted 5 sessions) going to be a human Sun Soul Monk cook that always spouts amazingly appropriate zen-like phrases he supposedly learned from his grandmother, prefacing them with "Grandmother said this" while pointing out towards the sky with his index finger.

Wish me luck.
>>
>>49472779
Short answer: Mearls is a Jew.

Long answer: There are people who play D&D who care that Mearls is a Jew.
>>
>>49474821
Well, that makes it another feat that needs revising.

>>49475038
Appreciate the suggestions, but 9 Lives is something I'm leery of; who's really going to approve of a racial feature that actually goes away if you use it? It'd be like Dragonborn getting to breathe fire once in the campaign and then they can't do so.

>>49477463
Yeah, they got written up ages ago. Check out the Extraplanar races; they're between the Diabolus and the Genasi entries.
>>
>>49478254
>>49478287
>>49478378

What about a name for his group of merry men (comprised of 60% humans, 30% lizardfolk, 1% Beastfolk, 9% other core races).

> Marauders
> Reavers
> Sea-Wolves
> something else that sounds badass
>>
I'm going to do a beast master ranger with a pteranodon, how should I name it ?
>>
How would a person build a character based on Bill Nye the Science guy?
>>
>>49480823
Billy, the Beasmaster.
>>
>>49480835
Pick whichever background lets you spout 50% facts, 50% pseudo-science, and 100% of whatever anyone wants to pay you to say.

>>49480823
Bird boy.
>>
>>49480823
Name him Pterrance.
>>
>>49480881
>>49480842
>>49480874

Pterrance it is, thanks!
>>
>>49480470
Kek
>>
The zip of maps for Storm King's Thunder on the Mega now includes all of the maps. Thanks to a kind anon for giving me access to the Roll20 module so I could rip the ones that aren't for sale.
>>
>>49480835
Knowledge Cleric or Transmutation Wizard with Sage background. Has a habit of explaining everything.
>>
>>49481044
Thank you too, for the work!
>>
The guy working on the Fifth Edition Character Sheet android app just released a custom race/class/stuff builder.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/545vth/android_fifth_edition_character_sheet_testers/?st=itg8h1h1&sh=6aebc753

So the question becomes... how long until we get a JSON with all the UA content?
>>
Warlock Patron: Wyrm Primarch
Restriction: Dragonborn Only (or not, who cares)
1st Level: Expanded Spell List (to be determined)
Frightful Presence once per long rest. Creatures within 60 feet of you when you use this must make a Wisdom Saving Throw vs. your Warlock spellcasting DC. On a failure they are frightened of you for 1 minute. They can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of their turns, etc.

6th Level: When the party gains treasure, when appropriate, you gain an extra 1d4x5 gold. These extra gold pieces are tribute to your patron.
Something extra based on what dragon you (your patron) is. Seeing through certain lightly obscuring effects, traversing certain difficult terrains with no penalty, etc

10th Level: Additional use of Breath Weapon

14th Level: Gain wings w/fly speed equal to your current walk speed.

Additional invocations:
-add Cha modifier to breath weapon dmg
-(pact of blade) your pact weapon can take the shape of a set of artisan's tools and you become proficient with them as with your weapon. You can use the tools to create an art piece in tribute to your patron.
-(pact of chain) if you have any damage resistances, your familiar gains them as well (dragon resistances, temporary from spells, etc)
-your breath weapon doubles in dimension (5x30 line becomes 10x60 line, 15 foot cone becomes 30 foot cone)
-if hit by a melee weapon attack, your attacker takes 1d6 of your dragon's damage type

Familiar options- pseudodragon or faerie dragon. Can take themselves to your patron's lair to deliver gold, etc.

Anything good here? Looking for comments on balance and also suggestions for invocations. I'm shooting for a few dragon-related ones and a few general ones that anybody would take.
>>
>>49481292
>gives an optional dragonborn restriction
>doesn't add a way to get breath weapons for any other races
The absolute madman
>>
>>49481292
Interesting. The frieightful presence is a little early I would save that for a higher level. I would suggest switch the gold and frightful presence. Level 1 Warlock abilities are meant to be pretty good but not amazing.

Or you could make the frightful presence last, and level 10 flying speed equal to movement. It's earlier than the sorcerer though.

But then you can make an additional breath use an invocation.

For those fancy invocations turn the d6 on being hit down to a d4 and we will talk. D4 for an entire campaign is a lot.
>>
>>49481451
>>49481462
Actually make it an invocation. You gain a breath weapon use. So you can have 1 if you start another race and 2 if dragonborn.
>>
>>49478255
>Opposed Constitution ability checks, with the loser suffering instant death.
That sounds like it'd make a con druid absurdley good
>>
>>49481480
>signature ability
>one or two per short rest
This seems kind of pointless but the other warlock patron abilities are so forgettable I can't think of what they even are
>>
>>49481487
Until he dies.
>>
>>49481451
>>49481480
Ah, this was some wording I forgot to put down in notes. Yeah, gain a breath weapon if you don't have one, gain an additional use if you do. I put it at mid levels to keep every dragonborn character ever from taking a 1 level warlock dip to get an extra breath.

I also had an invocation I skipped somehow, gain an additional use but (take a point of exhaustion?) Not sure if the downside is necessary.
>>49481462
Switching gold and frightful presence is a good idea. I was struggling to come up with level six stuff, since it seems that's the "defensive" level for warlocks and dragonborn already have a damage resistance built in. Frightful presence would actually make a good substitute. And I was underwhelmed with the terrain stuff for level 6, but for level 1 I think it fits well.
>>
Anyone have the pdf for Adventures in Middle Earth?
>>
>>49481864
it's in the mega, under 3rd party stuff
>>
>>49471578
make em play as people whos role in society mean that npc's will yell at them if they take the most direct route BUT can also easily get npc advice on how to do a non direct route

thieves guild members, spies, aristocrats, diplomats

introduce enemies so spectacularly above the parties ability that it is functionaly impossible to fight them, and they have to maneuver things socially/politically to end their threat/kill them

a god cursed you, a king killed your family, but oh look, here is a group working on their downfall

>>49472902
"you have been hired by NPC to complete OBJECTIVE"

"you are both mercenaries in the winter of season when no one is fighting, their are mysterious disappearances in the town you are staying at"

"you are town guards/church priests/traveling wizards/bards when suddenly, zombie apocalypse! (newbies like this one these days)"

"you are shipwrecked on a desert island full of ancient ruins, you must find and buy/steal a boat while defending yourselves and surviving"

"its spring/autumn ball season at the royal court and must protect your charge from assasins, while representing them in duels"

"oh no!" orcs!"

>>49473413
Moonlight-Casts-Dappled-Shadows-Through-The-Wind-Tossed-Leaves-Of-Oak

Stoney Bill Fuck

Ulysses Winterfox

Bom Tombadil

Rushingwater Heartsigh

Seargent Seargent-is-his-first-name-after-his-fathers-rank Wait-why-are-you-writing-that-down Fucking-elves Stormwind

His-Arrows-Be-True Sh'Shaeyval

>>49473708
why not just look up one of the homebrew lizardman races

a google search of "dnd 5th ed lizardman race" will find several

>>49476076
nothing wrong with an adventuring guild in abstract so long as its fluffed right and you do the setting context work

"the church of the true pantheon commands us to seek out evil and destroy it"

"the merchants guild has a privateer ofshoot"

"there are vampires fucking everywhere and we need a concerted effort to fuck em up"
>>
Anyone got stats for a 5e Wendigo?
>>
>>49481514
Fey gets the elf sleep/charm shit I think? GOO gets telepathy and fiend gets lifesteal or something. I get the impression warlocks are for blasting and interacting with their patron. Dragonborn warlock seemed good because you can still blast, but it think it makes blade pact a more attractive option since DB get the +2 strength and if they're relying on breath there's more time to do other attacks since it's more limited. Plus I thought the direct interactions with the patron by adding to their hoard (the purpose of the extra gold) was neat. Also tempts players into paying their tribute or else keeping it for themselves and risking their patron getting mad.
>>
>>49480093
i guess, nothing is stopping it from being played solo. however it would be near impossibly difficult
>>
File: 09_PigSkins.gif (2MB, 500x307px) Image search: [Google]
09_PigSkins.gif
2MB, 500x307px
Want to implement a tribe of natives that are basically pic related and will encounter the PCs.

What's a good DC for being spotted by PC's?
>>
I'm going to start STK today playing as a halfling beastmaster ranger. What third language should I pick and any cool idea for my pet ?
>>
>>49481958
Giant language, which I'm pretty sure is an option, should be useful.
Halfling rangers are always trying to ride their pets so a mastiff or possibly a wolf. Giant crab wouldn't be out of place either if you fluffed it to be a snowy crab.
>>
Probably playing a pally soon

variant human (gotta go human and normal human is fucking trash), trying to decide on what to do

sword and board with dueling and shield master is probably the best for the party

greatsword with gwf gwm is probably best for destroying shit

but I also kinda wanna use a halberd and polearm master

what do
>>
5e newbie here.
Guys, the very first session, I want my players to meet the one that fucked over their lives - a dwarf mercenary.
The PCs are going to be lvl1, but 2/3 of the players never played a tabletop game and It's perfectly possible for them to try to attack their nemesis.
I WILL try to play the scenario to suggest that attacking the guy is fucking stupid but you can never know.
I'm going to discard the mechanics to narrate their fight with a much stronger foe and his band, trash the m up a little and suggest a retreat but in case that also fails, I need an advice.

Do I stat up a regular Dwarf Fighter into a lvl8 character to fuck them up mechanically or is there another way to do this? Should I just hulk up a duergar? I just don't know
>>
>>49476085
Dinosaurs

Insular but advanced empire. Mayincatec Dragonborn or steampunk orcs or something.

>>49477526
then dm it so it doesnt go down like that

>>49478157
id rule it like an ephemeral creature walking into another and going back to reality: strength/constituition test each turn to push it out, if failed 5d10 to both till one dies or the strength test is passed

>>49478239
Archmage
Mayor
Governor
Supreme Leader
Consul
Archon
Lord Protector
Tyrant
Mantaman

>>49480773
The Crew
The Crew of "SHIPNAME"
Order of the Wavecrest
Protectors of "ISLANDNAME"
The Jolly Few
The Merry Buccaneers

>>49479560
this is a game and you can do what you want. balance is a consideration towards your fellow players, not divine law.

>>49480054
spider-climb on my horse

>>49480835
amulet of magic mouth, sings his name whenver he walks into a room
>>
>>49481919

This CR5 Wendigo fit what you're looking for anon?

Alternatively I have a epic level wendigo stat block in my collection which i can also post but that's mighty strong
>>
>>49482102
Personally, there's so much shit that could go wrong with that I'd find another way to do it. First thing that comes to mind, someone asks their help and mentions there's another prospective person to do it- the dwarf, and he's already on his way. This guy fucked their lives over and now is trying to take their job? Oh hell no, let's get our asses to the quest.

There may be a reason to meet up with the dwarf beforehand that I'm not seeing, you want their handy beating to be a way to lose their gear or something? On-screen motivation to hate the guy?
>>
>>49481911
Thanks anon.
>>
>>49482081
Polearm master is really fun to play with and if you combo it with sentinelle, you become almost invincible in duels
>>
>>49482081
if you really want to do whats best for the party with sword and board, why not use a quarterstaff and add polearm master anyway
>>
>>49482005
I like the idea of a giant crab, thanks!
>>
New session, gents.

>>49482311
>>49482311
>>49482311
>>49482311
>>49482311
>>
Ultramodern5 is now in the Mega under Third Party -> Dias Ex Machina.
>>
>>49481936
yeah, downloaded it and realized that. is just that i usually associate roguelikes with solo playing and 5e seriously lacks in soloable modules
>>
>>49482160
I have several reasons to force the meeting.
The whole premise of the game begins with a revenge quest against the leaders of a group that fucked over PCs lives. The dwarf is one of them.

The session goes
>party supposed to meet up a trusted informant
>who is already used as a bait
>the informant is taken as a hostage
Now I get to see how will the players act in a hostage situation. A short conflict is a given but the life of the informant depends on their action
>either way, the dwarf appears right there, with even more lackeys
>he laids out the basic motivation, becomes a focus point for the players, and helps in fleshing out the antagonist group as a whole
The wishful thinking is, I will get a chase scene right there and motivate the players for future encounters but now that I post this, I realize that I did make some mistakes with my line of thinking...
Anyway, the question stands. How do I enemy dwarf?
>>
>>49482320
Why are you linking me to the pathfinder general?
>>
>>49482102
Just a bit of friendly advice anon. I've DM'ed (and been a player in) scenarios like this and without fail it's all gone tits up and the players have attacked their antagonist. You have to remember that players rarely want to back down from a fight, especially when backstories are involved - they always think that they'll be victorious in the end.

What usually ends up happening is that a fight breaks out due to the more aggressive characters, the party gets their ass handed to them and as soon as somebody goes down, they'll realise they goofed up and then leg it out of there.

Make sure you know what you would do if something like this arises.
>>
>>49482327
An 8th level PC/NPC played somewhat effectively is liable to kill a party member per round. You can certainly stat him up as such, but I'd recommend you have the party fight his mooks that step in as the dwarf makes a retreat. If the party kills the mooks, or ignores them for the dwarf, or you really wanna have the dwarf take care of things personally, I'd say have him use a clearly suboptimal weapon like a handax or his bare fists. Less chance of immediate tpk, and extra humiliation and motivation for the party. I'd also probably limit the dwarf to level five, and just handwave his HP on the off chance the party does get close to "killing" him.
>>
>>49474827
If you're talking about LMOP yes, there is and i've gave magic items extenvely, though they're a 3 member party and i had to rebalance the module to their classes (fighter, ranger and druid). Of course magic items shouldn't be thrown around like candy, but i think a couple at the beginning to spice up things for each player can help with the buttfuckage.
>>
>>49482455
not the guy with the idea but what about making the dwarf use a club so he just beats unconscious the shit out of the characters instead of killing them?
bonus if they wake up strip naked
>>
New thread.

>>49482702
>>49482702
>>49482702
>>49482702
>>49482702
>>
>>49476884
racist
>>
>>49477044
Here is fix

>Rallying Cry
You and up to Cha mod friendly creatures within 60ft. are healed by 1d10+ fighter level as well as gaining an equal amount of temp hp
>Inspiring Surge
Let ally take another Action. 17th is two
>Bulwark
Indomitable lets Cha mod allies within 60ft. reroll any failed save
>>
>>49477526
Archmages only have 99hp
>>
>>49473413
Lieghavarael Dul Sul of Mindrenfel
>>
>>49483013
Well it's good atleast, not sure if the giving others entire actions is balanced because of spell casting shit
>>
>>49483294
>House of Sul
Slobbin that MK knob, I see.
>>
>>49481948
15+ for finding boars 20+ for finding WEIRD boars
>>
>>49483024
Actual new bread.
>>
>>49481958
Giant, and a fluffed snowey ape.

Congratulations, you now have a Yeti.
>>
>>49482106
Saying this is a game and you can do what you want is true, but not very helpful when discussing if a homebrew is actually redundant to the vanilla rules.
>>
>>49481958
Giant-Frog, eat all the goblins, restrain all the giants.
>>
>>49482325
well you have my blessing to do what you'd like, in fact let me know how it went. the email is in the pdf or leave a comment, maybe well start making solo material
Thread posts: 339
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.