[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General - /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 36

File: pic2803384.jpg (534KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
pic2803384.jpg
534KB, 1024x682px
/bgg/ - Board Game General
Healthy Old Age Edition

Previous
>>49281126

Resources
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What games have fallen flat with you or your group recently?

Do you tend to give games second chances?

What's your unicorn game? Not just a rare game you're looking for, but the game that would be absolutely perfect for you, if it existed
>>
>>49352871
It wasn't recent, but the first time we tried to play Spyfall it kinda sucked. Gave it a second chance a few months later and it finally clicked with our group.

My unicorn games are a true space 4x that can be adjusted for games between 2 hours and 2 days, a giant monster/robot fighting game with a decent amount of tactical depth, and a goddamn pirate game that doesn't have glaring problems.
>>
>fucking waiting on GMT to get me both the new Labyrinth expansion as well as Grand Prix
>>
>>49352992
>robot fighting game with a decent amount of tactical depth
This. Wonder how that not-Armored Core game did after they failed to get the license. Lack of news and the suspicious act of marketing it as an Armored Core game before getting permission probably doomed it I'm guessing? Seemed pretty fun too.
>>
>>49353301
$148,157

pledged of $75,000 goal
>>
File: 1473148108918.gif (429KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1473148108918.gif
429KB, 480x270px
>dream game is Eldritch Horror but with tile laying like Betrayal at House on the Hill
>>
>>49352871
>Do you tend to give games second chances?
Yes.
Terra Mystica turned out to be very good.
Formula D turned out to be worse than I thought.
>>
>>49352871
>What's your unicorn game? Not just a rare game you're looking for, but the game that would be absolutely perfect for you, if it existed
Asymmetrical area control worker placement set in the Mojave Wasteland.
>>
>>49352992
Giga Robo might scratch one of those itches, even if the art is pretty mediocre even by weeb standards.
>>
>>49353490
>giant robots in the golden age of piracy
>>
>>49353444

mansions of madness
>>
>>49352992
RIP Monsterpocalypse
>>
>>49353490
Unfortunately I can't stand bad art, bad weeb art even less. I won't ever buy Dark Moon or Sentinels of the Multiverse no matter how fun they are because they make my inner artist cringe at how awful they look.

>>49353781
Don't. Get. Me. Started.
>>
Welcome to the Dungeon always falls flat with anyone related to me by blood, which aggravates me, as everyone else loves it. I just worked at a con and some of the biggest smiles I got were from a group I'd taught to play it. It's great. But I can only play it on certain occasions.

I try not to give games second chances, honestly. They usually don't deserve one. I normally do give it to them anyway, but...

Anyway, my perfect unicorn?
Semi-cooperative Arkham-series deckbuilder with four dozen expansions and draftable starting decks. Low components, mainly cards, but also Carcassonne sized tiles and dice.
Yeah I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about either.
>>
>>49352597

from previous thread someone says catacombs is 70 bucks on bgg but i just checked and it is not unfortunately (third edition to be clear)

(USAfag here)
>>
>>49354162
It's a fun game, but if I were you I'd just wait till it comes back into print. Or check out the new one coming soon to see if team vs team appeals to you more than 1 vs many.
>>
Did I do good?

My daughter collects ponyshit and I needed to hit $150 to get free shipping
>>
File: buyed.jpg (250KB, 1956x875px) Image search: [Google]
buyed.jpg
250KB, 1956x875px
>>49354226

Sorry, wrong image.
>>
File: 1395973976904.jpg (1MB, 2209x1884px) Image search: [Google]
1395973976904.jpg
1MB, 2209x1884px
>>49354240

>no Jaipur

Are none of you fucking listening
>>
>>49353459
Story of my life my nigga
>>
>>49353472
New Vegas a shit.
How much more generic can you go than "main character is rescued from death, but now has amnesia".
Game was sweet, but that one thing broke all immersion for me.
>>
>>49354511
>but now has amnesia
>pc dialogue can reference having a son in montana, having been to new reno and illinois, growing up a tribal, visited utah is canon because he knows the local language, and can know chinese, latin, and fallout's equivalent of assembly language
Not remembering the past couple days is probably the least damage being shot twice in the head can do.
>>
>>49353934

Arkham Horror the card game is coming u kno
>>
>>49354553
Yeah, memory comes back during gameplay, but still, these tropes are so overused in film, tv and vidya that I couldn't really take the storyline seriously after that. It's as repetitive as the generic town tavern where the PCs meet.
I know, I'm just being anal.
>>
There is a disturbing lack of Civ games in my collection.
Give me some good Civ reccomendations /tg/!
>>
>>49354254
You're as bad as that maglev trains guy.
>>
I seem to have this problem that my friends simply cant take my ideas seriously.

When we where growing up I was always the quite kid that didn't get much say in the matter. Now as adults, everyone just assume I somehow should just settle in the same role. Ever had that this happen to you? Like, you're one minute the adult, that has a family, job and responsibilities. Then the next, your 12 years old again, and everyone expects you to be that guy, and never change...

Ill give you an example. I got the X-wing board game at launch. I was hyped, I knew this game was going to get big, I knew it had potential, and the game itself was freaking awesome. Nobody caught on, and we never spoke of it again..... Until a year and a half later, when a friend of mine got this brand new game that looked so cool, everyone just had to try it out! Well, lo and behold my surprise, yes it was the very same X-Wing game I bought over a year earlier....

This time its the same deal around Zombicide. I bought the base set, as it was freaking awesome! And we played it... like once... Ok, I wasn't going to go down quietly, so I busted my ass, painted everything in the box, and got several expansions and painted that stuff to, and when I was just about ready to "look at this amount of awesome!", my friends ditch my game over Zombicide Black Plague... Its literally the same fucking game, but no one of my lazy friends would ever consider painting the models inside, and they didn't even get the expansion.

I know I'm coming of as a real whiner, but I'm just so freaking irritated. Do I need to break of my old childhood friends and step in to a more adult world, ask colleagues and such, to get a game going?
>>
Tabletop simulator is now -50% on Humble Store, great way to test out board games
>>
>>49355168
Where do you find most games. When I looked they didn't seem to have much.
>>
>>49354959
have you tried Civilization: the board game?

>>49355068
try gaming with some different people.
>>
>What games have fallen flat with you or your group recently?

Dead of Winter

Rarely. DoW is gone.

>What's your unicorn game? Not just a rare game you're looking for, but the game that would be absolutely perfect for you, if it existed

I know the market is absolutely FLOODED with zombie games, but I'm still looking for "the one". Ideally, a campaign style game where you alternate between having to do runs in a city to scavenge shit with minis and combat and cooperative worker placement style survivor camp management.
>>
File: newthread.jpg (431KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
newthread.jpg
431KB, 900x600px
>>49354964
>>49354254
for you.
>>
>>49355068
If they always treated you like that I'm surprise you still consider them friends. I'm with >>49355567
>>
>>49355750
This made me kek so hard...
holy shit

the first time someone said this guy gets a boner or whatever...

and then when i posted my haul and someone greentexted jaipur saying that i definatley made someone happy or whatever....

shit man, best thing. jaipur guy, u are a fokn legend u crazy son of a bitch!! i love u!! never change!!

Jaipur guy for lifee!!!
>>
>>49355413

theres hundreds of games on Steam Workshop where you can download them for free
>>
It didn't quite flop, but we struggled with the first play of Mysterium. We had just enough rounds to get all our cards and we ended up ignoring Clairvoyance at the end. It was fun until we realized we had 8 guesses and needed 7 correct, AND we needed each other to make enough right/wrong choices at the right times just to use all the guesses.

Sure. Fuck Quelf though, I ain't playing that shit a second time izzle.

Doom with assets/mechanics from the classic games instead of 3 and 4.
>>
>>49355068
Yeah. It sounds like you've needed new friends for a while.
>>
>>49355068
only experience like that that I had was back when I was like 9 or 10. yugioh had only just become available in english, I thought it looked neat and bought a booster pack, but my friends showed no interest in it. within a year, a south korean kid moved to the neighborhood and he happened to have hundreds of yugioh cards. guess what card game suddenly became hugely popular

your situation sounds much worse and you should probably find a secondary game group. who knows, maybe they'll become your primary game group and friends
>>
>>49355567

Well, I do game with some of my work colleagues, who sees me as an entirely different person. To them, I'm the Adult, a guy who´s good at his job, fun to be with and a family man. I just finds it sad that my childhood friends sees me just like I was back in our youth. And I do feel I'm part to blame for that, because when you get treated in a way, that reassemble the way people acted around you in your younger days, you instantly gets a fraction of that old you to reflect your character in that group.

Its like playing RPG in a way. When you sit down for a session, you know everyone is in character. And you know you're not actually Crugg the Barbarian, but when you play, you take the part of him. You act as he would do, and try to roll-play his character. Just like the rest of the gang acts as if you truly are Crugg the Barbarian.
I play the part of me, 20 years ago when I enter a setting that reminds me of my childhood. This trigger is now my childhood friends, who will certainly never see me as more than the quiet nice guy, that never had much to say on the matter, and always was in agreement.

>>49356192
>>49357427
>>49355784

Ill probably try to get a "grown up" group going. Besides, its always fun to introduce people to new games, especially when they used to think games such as RISK was a bit to advanced and haven't really tried anything beyond that.

Ill keep my childhood friends, but mainly for the cause of Miniature Wargaming, as literally no one around where I live plays those games at all.
>>
Smallworld sat on my shelf for about a year before I figured out how fun it is as a two player game.
>>
Pandemic and Arkham are sitting on my shelf nowadays, havent paid attention to the gaming scene since 2010, what are the "hottest" games right now aside from autism simulator eurogames
>>
>>49358005
I would dare say it's best as a two player game. In 3+ a big part of the game balance comes from the losing players ganging up on the player who's winning. This almost never balances out in my group at least since whoever's in the lead about halfway through gets latched onto and are beaten to a pulp for the rest of the game. My group almost never switch targets.
>>
>>49358361
>Have Pandemic
>What's the new hotness?

FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK
>>
How heavy on the rules is Ankh-Morpork? I am considering it since I love Discworld and my friend recently got into the books and loves them. I guess it could be played with people with no knowledge of Discworld but is it ok for new players in general if i have to explain the rules and some of the Discworld lore to them. My friends are not a problem when it comes to boardgames but our girlfriends are mostly in the stages of munchkin and catan.
>>
>>49358361
like the other anon alluded to, pandemic legacy is probably one of the biggest things in the last couple of years. it skyrocketed to the number one spot on bgg super quickly

scythe, time stories, codenames, blood rage, and cry havoc are all also pretty hot right now
>>
>>49358611

Not heavy in the slightest. Long as people can memorize a few symbols in the cards, the game is about as mechanically difficult as a baby's rattle.
>>
>>49358826
Great. Then it might be just the thing i need
>>
Not exactly recently, but that award goes to Archipelago. It was only the short game, but it was still very lacklustre.

It'll depend on how the first go went. Sometimes I'll try a game and feel like the potential for a fun and engaging time are there and if my friends agree we'll give the game a few more tries. Other times it's just apparent after a single play that the game is bad and/or not for our group.

Pacific expansion for Triumph&Tragedy. With any luck it'll be published within 1-2 years time.

>>49354959
Does Mare Nostrum: Empires count as a civilization game? If so, that. If you've got more money than you know what to do with and 7-10+ friends go get Mega Civilization.
>>
>>49354959
Through the Ages
Imperial Settlers
>>
Recent gaming regrets:
>Preordering Mansions of Madness 2 when I could've waited and gotten it for 25 bucks cheaper
>Not preordering A Feast for Odin before retailers sold out
>Losing my copy of Innovation
>Losing one of the base cards in BattleCON

Also my friends are yanking me into building a MTG EDH deck which I'd love to do if not for the half dozen board games on my wishlist and how expensive Magic is

>>49354254
I tried Jaipur recently and it was just okay. I'd rather play something else light like Patchwork, Lost Cities, or Onitama
>>
File: IMG_6209.jpg (4MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6209.jpg
4MB, 5184x3456px
Just bought this, what am I in for?
>>
>>49361063
Perfect during rides on a maglev train.
>>
>>49361094

I don't get the reference. I bought it because it has pretty art and was on sale. Apparently my FLGS is clearing out Jaipur and other games by the same company because they changed to a ludicrous MOQ for wholesale orders and not many stores want to deal with it.
>>
Is Formula D good? My friend and I are taking fans do thematically it sounds appropriate for us.
>>
>>49361184
Are racing fans*
Sorry, swipe keyboard. I guess I should ask how long is the game and does it work well with a variety of players or is it one of those games where there's a sweet spot.
>>
>>49361131
Don't worry about it friend.

It's a pretty solid 2-player set collecting game, really easy rules and score counting, quick enough that you could get 3-4 plays in an hour, plenty of difficult decisions to makeand should appeal to a good amount of players. Definitely a good purchase.
>>
>>49354902
I just replayed the intro and I can't find anything which implies you lost any memory at all.
>>
>>49361208

I like it but it has its detractors. It's heavily luck reliant, and games can potentially take forever if you play multiple laps, if people keep counting spaces, or if you play a large group.

If you dont mind the downtime, it can handle up to 10 players I think, but I wouldnt recommend more than 6.
>>
>>49352871
>fell flat
Depends on the people. Some people hated Power Grid, others didn't enjoy AGoT and so on. I regret buying Machi Koro.

>second chances
Ye, why not.

>unicorn
Front Mission customizable mecha brawl with coop campaign mode, weight/power/payload rules, 3D terrain or modular maps.
>>
So has anyone played Seafall yet? I'm on the fence about getting it. I love the theme, I think legacy works great for it, and I like some of the mechanics, but the two things that worry me are that most of the reviews I've seen say the game drags until you've played through several of the scenarios, and I'm worried that my group will just not want to play anymore once we get halfway in, thus rendering my copy basically useless.

I really, REALLY wish there was a solo variant, but from what I've read, that doesn't seem to be possible in this game.

Any thoughts? And if nothing else, can anyone recommend a game with a similar theme I should look into?
>>
>>49362822
I've been hearing a lot of mixed things about the game too. My friend really wants me to get it because we loved Pandemic Legacy and the theme seems right up his ally, but the stuff I've heard about Seafall has me really worried. I know some people will tell me that the Legacy bubble is just popping, but I feel like while Pandemic did the Legacy thing right, there's a lot of ways to do it wrong. You can't stretch your big events too thin and have sessions where nothing big changes, you can't make its playtime so long to go with that or you'll have to twist arms into continuing hoping for something exciting this session. I'm sure it hits a stride eventually, but everything I've heard is that there's a large hump to get over and I'm not sure my group is capable of getting over it. 3 hour games have to be pretty heavily planned out in advance.
>>
Anyone else excited for the dark souls boardgame? Thoughts on its gameplay? I plegded but never really kept up with the news
>>
>>49363464
Nope, gameplay looks pretty garbage but that's par for the course for a cash grab tie-in.
>>
>>49363464
Minis are cool, game needs polishing, will probably be disappointing for some backers. Worst case scenario, minis will still be nice collector items for fans.
>>
>>49352871
Cash 'n' Guns fell flat with my group. It's depressing because I love playing it and I even liked the sessions I played, but one of my friends wouldn't even consider the idea of dropping his gun and giving up a round and died early both times for it, another I guess was in the mood for a more complicated game even though he was demanding to play The Resistance, and I think the other 3 didn't say much but they never do when it comes to opinions. I've had success with other groups, but my main group won't even consider playing it again.

Me personally, yes. My group, no. We've dumped so many games.

A roughly hour length dungeon crawl game with good components and smooth flowing combat. Roguelike loot where it's like a gumball machine what you get and it's pretty significant or at least fun feeling loot. My current bet is Dark Souls, but we'll see how that pans out. Dungeons crawlers I've played either take too long, don't have enough change in playthroughs to be replayable, or have wonky combat mechanics that bog down the experience.
>>
>>49352871

Tried my friend's copy of Escape the Room and XCOM. They were apparently birthday gifts, but I thought they were pretty whatever. Escape the Room didn't seem to have much of a game in there, and in XCOM it kind of felt that my decisions ultimately didn't matter that much. Rolling only like 2 successes out of several dozen just kind of sucks.

Depends on the game. Some of obviously or irredeemably bad, but there are games where I suspect I just had a particularly unfun one by random chance.

No clue. I'm pretty content with what exists already. Like Codenames is practically endlessly replayable and accommodates 2-∞ players, and just never gets old. It's just so fun and versatile. Maybe I'd like a decently made Scooby-Doo themed game? Usually don't care about how thematic games are but I think I'd like that.
>>
>>49352871
Was roped into playing Railways of the World because all the other groups at my FLGS had started their games. Jesus Christ, I think I'm forever turned off to the entire train game genre.

The last game I gave a second chance to was Terra Mystica and I don't regret it. My first game of it I came close to 40 points behind the person in fourth place. But there was something about it that made me want to get better. A few games later, I eventually bought a copy and now it's my favorite heavy euro.
>>
>>49364585
TM is a light Euro.
A heavy Euro would be Die Macher.
>>
>>49364626
Sorry, I meant medium Euro.
>>
File: 088.png (3MB, 1833x1500px) Image search: [Google]
088.png
3MB, 1833x1500px
>>49364626
Not according to this, which is what gets passed around.
>>

Somebody brought Betrayal at House on the Hill the other week, and we played that. No one had fun. I think we all wanted to like it, but it was just such a broken mess.

You spend an hour reading the instructions. I understand it's supposed to provide variety and replay value, but we played 3 haunts and they were all so completely different that there was virtually no carryover between them. I'm fine with complex games, but shit, it's so specific that you spend 90% of each game figuring out how to play.

And two, the haunts are all unbalanced as fuck, so once you finally play, the game ends almost instantly and feels pointless. Either the traitor creams everybody or he's fucked from the get-go.

Both of these things together, there's no agency for the players. I never felt like we played the game. I felt like the game played us.

>in b4 muh story, muh atmosphere

I like these things too, but they can't make a compelling board game by themselves.
>>
>>49364641
>CoB
>Heavy
The heaviest thing about it is having to look at the rulebook for a memory jogger on knowledge tiles every now and then.
>>
>>49364787
I didn't make the picture. But it's given out to every newfag who wanders into these threads.
>>
>>49364764
>no carryover, too specific, too unbalanced
Well, that there's the whole point of Betrayal, it's not a campaign where every player is on equal footing, it's loose stories you play in with only a generic haunted house to tie them together, and defeating the villain is tough as hell

Storytelling games are a rare beast, the traitor becomes sort of the GM, if he power plays he can usually end the game super quick and suck all the fun from it. There's got to be some drama, take sub-optimal choices that fit the scene or increases tension, not just zoom for the goals. You have to give them just enough of a margin to believe there's hope before it all crashes down. I've had a lot of fun winning and losing, both as player and traitor.
>>
>>49364896

Yeah, it's a weird game because I can see HOW it should be fun. But then my group played it and it just wasn't.

The game always has at least one player getting royally fucked in the ass, and it's just not enjoyable. Interesting point about the traitor making suboptimal choices...though that didn't really happen with my group.

Maybe it's just my overall philosophy of game design, but I don't understand how a game can be intentionally unbalanced, intentionally confusing, and still be fun. Different strokes, I guess.
>>
>>49364641
>no pixel tactics under cheap games
It's like 10 bucks and pretty fun
>>
>>49364971
don't sweat it, it's not for everyone.

Played my first game of CitOW last night, had to go 3 players because our 4th called in sick so we had Nurgle, Tzeentch and Slaneesh duking it out. Everyone exploded across the 50 point line on the 5th turn from 3 area's being ruined, and Slaneesh won due to having the highest threat. Was pretty good, I'm definitely looking forward to another game. Hopefully with a full 4 players this time.
>>
File: image.gif (19KB, 396x252px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
19KB, 396x252px
I have pulled out Talisman 2nd edition recently! It has been one of those games I can go back to, time and time again.
>>
>>49352871
Sentinels of the Multiverse. Goddamn it was boring- every move was really obvious and you were just waiting for it to get back around to you to do your obvious move until something good happens, maybe.
>>

My group dissolved and I have not been able to get another one together yet. With the previous group the last game that fell flat for us was Harbour. A few others that have were Cyclades (our own fault for getting rules wrong), Super Dungeon Explore, and Jab Realtime Boxing.

Usually. I tend to do a three strikes you're out rule. With really longer games 3+ hours I might give up after two plays.

It exists and is Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan.
>>
>>49352871
>pandemic legacy in CSI's zombie sale
Thanks for the spoiler fuccbois.
>>
>fell flat
Castle raven loft dnd boardgames which I liked but 2 of my 4 person group didn't like because you could lose to the game. Pretty shit reason to dislike a co-op game since otherwise you are just bulldozing everything with no tension.

>second chances
Haven't gotten a game I don't like so far but I've only bought around 10 so haven't had to yet.

>unicorn
Fighting game based where over time your deck becomes more custimized to your choices until one or the other player loses. Start out with a deck full of punches and kicks and ramp up to fireballs and machine guns and shit depending on your decisions.
>>
>>49366459
>unicorn
shit anon, why not just design that game? Sounds fun.
>>
>>49366459
would it be like yomi: the deckbuilder or would it play completely differently?
>>
>>49353444
You just described what I assume to be a game you'd be forced to play in hell.

Someone wants tile laying like in betrayal?
>>
>>49365590

I remember we used to play 2nd edition way back, and got back in to the game in 4th. No matter the edition, Talisman is a classic, no matter the editions.
I wouldn't necessarily say its a great game, but the value of nostalgia ads up, so it simply becomes one of those great games anyway.
>>
>>49354959
Clash of cultures is the only board game that comes close to replicating Civ (yes, including civilization the board game)
>>
>>49368356
This is relevant to my interests.
Is Clash any good without the expansion? Rather, is it significantly better with it? Seems nearly impossible to get a hold of these days.
>>
>>49368454
>>49359561
Also, TtA 1st ed or 2nd ed? How does it compare to Clash of Cultures?
>>
>>49368454
I like it and I didn't even know it had expansions. It's pretty much a condensed Civ game on the table top (very condensed)
>>
>>49361184
The game is about as involved as monopoly. The choices in the game are less important than luck and essentially boil down to "do I risk it or not?"
>>
>>49364896
Any game that the heavy bulk of it is essentially set up (tile revealing) and that allows players to be eliminated and miss half the game (dang you stood next to the arbitrarily chosen player at the arbitrarily chosen time so you die) isn't a good game in my book.

I think players like betrayal for what they want it to be or what they imagine it will be based on occult theming (see oija boards and seances) reinforced by the "betrayer" leaving the room for a bit.
>>
>>49363464
It seems like something my friends and I would enjoy, if any of us had a table big enough to play it.

Seriously, who thought that Betrayal-style exploration with foot-by-foot tiles would be a good idea?
>>
>>49365590
Ha ha, finally someone else who plays this game! I play the most recent version with a crap ton of expansions, and although it can get kinda predictable if someone gets an op character (see elemental guy from the city expansion), I'm suprised how fun it still is.

I should really start finding the older copies, as I really want to play in space again. But hey, they might actually remake the one I want, and not another freaking apocolapsye expansion. Oh well.
>>
>>49368637
It's fun only if you consider it like a story generator.
I still fondly remember the time I was eaten by a giant blob because I took a wrong turn and was trapped in the courtyard.
>>
I usually play with my dad and brothers, but as all my brothers are in college.... But, when we did play, games didn't fall flat for us. Sure, one of my bros doesn't like 7 wonders as much (side note: what's so bad about euro games?), but if he didn't want to play that we would play something else. I don't know, I just think my family is tolerant

My unicorn game, however, would be a mix between magic: the gathering, hero scape and talisman (But NOT the lame magic arena crap WOTC hastily threw together, either), as you can pick a character (or even planeswalker) at random and have a custom board of some sorts and go to town.

I think I can just print out some stuff and play test it a lot, but I'm pretty sure the best wizards would do is just reprint hero scape, but I'm still totally ok with that.
>>
>>49369102
I've never seen it produce a compelling story that consisted of anything beyond the short description in the book. I've also never made a truly meaningful decision while playing the game. After a few plays the mechanics are so similar that I "get" it and it doesn't really feel like I'm playing a new story. Also, imo, I don't feel like revealing tiles adds anything to the game, but it takes up over half the play time usually.
>>
I'm new to modern boardgames. I have Elder Sign and Pandemic, I was looking at Scythe but it looks super heavy. How much of a learning curve am I looking at if I wanted to get into it?
>>
>>49363464
The demo they showed off was pretty flat but it was also a very beta-y demo made purely to show off how bosses would work. Equipment, class, spells, level ups, and such were all not a factor in the demo they showed off, and we have heard so little about what progressing through the level prior to the boss will entail.

I'm not entire convinced it will be great, but I've been following it, they've made pretty large improvements since the demo video and their goal to set out an make a relatively quick play dungeon crawler is a niche I've really wanted filled for a while now. Maybe it's just the fact that I've put money down on it already talking, and that certainly is something to discredit me, but I'm hyped for the actual game and not just the pretty looking models. Dungeon crawlers have all had little issues for me for a while, whether it be the game ending up too simple, the game ending up too convoluted, being forced to have a player controlling all the dungeon elements or not being all that random making it impossible to replay really. This game is aiming right where I want them to. Just have to see if they hit their mark.
>>49368717
Yeah, that is a genuine concern. I have a 4x8 table which is huge, but never really considered just how much space it's going to take up. You take down and start exploring a new after a boss, but even before then that's going to be how many rooms active at once?
>>
Anybody play desperate gods before? Its a free game on compooter and i really liked it back in the day. Would love to find a better kind of game that feels sorta the same... talisman seems the closest thing. Id be ok with a non physical board game too as long as its got that vibe

If you havent heard of it, its pretty chill and id recommend it if you wanna try to get normies into board games, def makes the transition from my experience :)

By the way, would anybody recommend the talisman game on steam? Im hesistant coz its 15 bucks and i think id rsther just jump into the physical board game itself but just curious what anon thinks.
>>
>>49368497
bruh, second edition of through the ages is currently the second best rated game on bgg. everyone agrees it's a perfect upgrade

haven't played either though, so I can't compare :^)

although I did look into them a while back, and general consensus is you can't go wrong with either. clash if you absolutely need the feeling of moving dudes around the map, tta if you don't
>>
>>49364641
What category would Cosmic Encounter fall under, just out of curiosity.
>>
>>49352871

Never played a 4x boardgame before and supposed to be playing Twilight Imperium with friends soon. What am I in for?
>>
>>49369592
scythe isn't super heavy, but it might be a bit of a jump for you at this point. definitely doable though

also how much research have you done into it, or are you still at the "plastic mechs and lovely art, I need it" stage?

have you played games like dominion or 7 wonders where you're building things which help you build better things later on? it's a bit more similar to those than to a straight combat game, so be warned. it's an "engine building" game with the threat of violence, rather than a game about violence

if you're looking for that game, take a look at kemet. it looks daunting because of all the upgrade tiles, but it's a bit easier than scythe and is 100% about fighting with cool miniatures
>>
> What games have fallen flat with you or your group recently?
Tiny Epic Kingdoms.

I have no idea why. It's short and sweet, strategic. Two people played it once said it's the worst game ever. Another pair said it's meh especially since you're discouraged to combat.

> Do you tend to give games second chances?

Yep. Though mostly my second impressions are the same as first impressions.

> What's your unicorn game? Not just a rare game you're looking for, but the game that would be absolutely perfect for you, if it existed

Deep and complex fantasy 4x game for 6 players and the people to play with with
>>
>>49355068
If they don't value your input don't value theirs. If you're an adult act like it and people will recognize it sooner or later. But that does mean gettng rid of people that don't respect you out of your life.
>>
>>49371045
Probably within the Non-blufffing Party Game category. You could bluff while negotiating, but it isn't as important as a whole to the game.
>>
>>49365583
CitOW is one of those games tat I'd never consider playing anything but at 4 or 5.
>>
>>49369592
Not heavy at all. You'll be fine with it.
>>
>>49371062
Good times, unless your friends are the kind of idiot who want to play with 6-8 people on a galaxy as big as possible.
>>
File: 1446499369344.png (374KB, 792x641px) Image search: [Google]
1446499369344.png
374KB, 792x641px
>>49368300
>Implying Betrayal is shit.

You are a good man anon. You have excellent taste.
>>
>>49370579
I just want the minis to use in other games.
>>
>>49368532
>>49368454
The expansion makes it WAY better. Get it right now. I can never imagine playing without it.
>>
>>49371062
TI3 is a 4x game, but falls solidly into the 'Grand Strategy game' category as well. Hit up Board Game Geek for the race description and tech chart player aids to help know what options are available. The best advice (in addition to STEEV's - don't go with too many players and don't use a stupid large galaxy) is to make sure everyone knows to concentrate on their objectives. It is way to easy for new players to get caught up in trying to build expensive technologies and to build a huge military and suddenly lose the game to someone who simply knocked out their objectives with a bit of strategy.
>>
>>49370579
Watching the boss gameplay turned me off from backing it.
There's a good way to translate the bosses to board games, and that ain't it.
At least my friend backed it so I can still play it if it's good.
>>
Can someone explain filler, light, medium, heavy? My best guess:

>Love Letter is filler
>Hanabi is light
>Pandemic is medium
>Arkham Horror is heavy

How does Scythe fit in? Is it a "4x"?
>>
>>49374110
I think your scale is skewed a little, but it's all subjective as hell anyways.
Scythe is not what I'd consider super heavy, more a heavy-end medium, but it's in the same neighborhood as Arkham.

But it's not 4x, despite being billed as such. More like 2x or 3x. The exterminate part is almost totally absent, and the other parts aren't emphasized too hard either. It's been accurately described above as a VP engine game with some mild threat of combat or interference from other players.
>>
Besides A/E Horror, what are some good single player friendly games? I want a 2+ co-op game but also something I could realistically play solo without house rules.
>>
>>49374110
Don't know about Hanabi, but looks about right. Disclaimer that the below are just opinions and deductions from various things that I've noticed, not hard facts.

Filler usually refers to any game that can be played under 10 - 15 minutes. Basically they're filler because you usually play them to fill in gaps while waiting for the other players, wasting time, etc. Skull, Love Letter are a fit.

Light usually refers to a game with easy to pick up rules and plays around 30 minutes. Longer than fillers, slightly more complex with slightly more rules, but still fast enough you could play a few games under an hour. Examples are maybe Cash n Guns, Codenames, Jaipur?

Medium games start going to the 1+ hour mark, maybe 2. Plenty more rules, more complex interactions, usually more components too. Rules explanations start taking a bit longer, and certain things might not pop up to you immediately. There are lots of games here, Pandemic and Betrayal are probably on the lighter side of the spectrum. Then you have Castles of Mad King Ludwig or Stone Age(?) around the middle, while Scythe and probably Arkham Horror sit around the heavy side.

Heavy games are where things start getting complicated, and it is possible to get overwhelmed by the game. It's pretty hard to get everything right during your first play, but if you stick to and play the same game frequently enough, you'll start to appreciate the minor things about it, such as interesting interactions or diminutive details. Twilight Struggle, Chaos in the Old World(?), Twilight Imperium 3 fit in here.

Scythe doesn't quite fit into heavy because despite having a lengthy rules explanation and a myriad of options are available to the player, the game itself progresses quickly and certain concepts are very easy to understand (eg: you have 4 different actions, you can do only one.)

As a side note, boardgamegeek has complexity ratings for most games, so you can probably make use of that.
>>
>Pandemic: Cthulhu came out today
>Scythe comes out in October
>people have had both in their hands for several weeks

How?
>>
>>49374714
Demo/review copies for cons/expos/people in the loop, preorders, kickstarter.
>>
We haven't had too many games fall flat lately, but I desperately wish certain ones had.

Someone in our group has gotten absolutely hooked on japanese deckbuilders... you know the ones. There's only so many times you can play the same game with a different coat of paint though, but the rest of the group finds the cute girl gimmick entertaining enough that they will agree to playing them.

I usually try and give games second or even third chances. Very few I just get absolutely fed up with. Only one I can think of is Cosmic Encounter.

My unicorn is a 4x game (I don't care what the theme is as long as it plays well) that my current group would actually try more than once. Eclipse has been pretty popular with us, I don't dislike it but it's not quite doing it for me.
>>
>>49374714
>>Scythe comes out in October
What? I've had my copy since July.
>>
File: Cat Landing Pad.jpg (207KB, 1153x1107px) Image search: [Google]
Cat Landing Pad.jpg
207KB, 1153x1107px
>>49352871
Worth a try desu.
>>
>>49373558
I thought it was pretty neat, especially how you can find out what's in the boss deck through the level before tackling it. I think people have too set in stone this idea that you're invincible once you know the boss deck and that all strategy just becomes "stand in the blind spot". In reality a lot of the attacks don't have a blind spot and you're gonna want to still do stuff before you know everything. A lot of it sounds like it will be trading agro, using character abilities smartly, ect. My biggest worry was the dice reliance they showed, and they cut down on that with equipment and the new dodge system.
>>
Played my first solo game of Space Hulk: Death Angel. Lost spectacularly, ended up with a massive swarm of genestealers that I was barely able to dent before going down shooting. Pretty good desu
>>
>>49375315
I like Eclipse too since it's simple to teach, but it is awfully luck dependent (tech draw & combat dice rolls), and has pretty much zero in the way of meaningful political mechanics in the game. I have a bunch of 4x games that I just haven't gotten to the table sadly...

Empires of the Void
Ascending Empires
Space Empires 4x...

Some day.
>>
>>49377029
I lost my first 3 or 4 games, but got a bit farther each time and then won 2 games in a row. it's such a satisfying feeling, and it's a super fun game even if you lose. also if you plan on continuing to play solo, you need to take a look at this and read how to use it. it gives variety that you wouldn't otherwise get in solo play
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/69612/location-substitutions
>>
>>49377029
Looking for that since FFG-GW split, sold out everywhere, and if available, price has tripled...
>>
>>49379819
OG Space HUlk is extremely easy to homemake with meeples and cardboard.
>>
>>49379819

i didn't know that the game was that good, going to take better care of my copy then
>>
File: sticheln.jpg (93KB, 979x538px) Image search: [Google]
sticheln.jpg
93KB, 979x538px
We had a pretty card game centric evening this week:

Started with a few rounds of Coloretto, which remains a decent filler. Not that there isn't plenty of good filler around nowadays, so not bringing that to the table very often.

The introduced the group to Sticheln, which is a pretty interesting trick taking game. The basic idea is that in the beginning of the round you choose one suit from your hand to be you "pain suit" by simultaneously choosing and revealing one card. At the end of the round you score minus points for each pain suit card by the rank of the card (including the card you used to to choose the pain suit!), and get positive points from the other suits at only one point per card irrespective of the rank. Further it takes a while to get your head completely around the actual trick taking gimmick: all suits but the lead suit are trump, and you can play any card on the trick ie. there's no requirement to follow suit.

So it boils down to trying hard to avoid collecting your pain suit cards and trying to salt the hands opponent is leading with a high non-lead suit (that is, trump) card with any lower or equal rank cards of his pain suit you might have. Counting at least your pain suit as it gets played around is pretty key, as is knowing when and how to play any zeros you might have as those are pretty much "get out of jail" cards. A good and painful game, hoping I get to play it again soon.

Moved to Port Royal then, which is a pretty simple tableau building game with a bit of push your luck mechanic in the mix. Wasn't a greatest fan, but it's not a very long game fortunately.

Finished with Hanabi, which is a very solid game I think, if your play group is on the same page on what kind of communication is ok during a game. As it is a cooperative game I think several levels of how much info you can share with the other players can work, it's just that the whole team has to be on the same page about it. We play pretty strict.
>>
>>49379819
>price has tripled
It was only $10? Fugg, shoulda jumped on that.
>>
>>49372511
Yeah that's what I had heard and why we had planned for 4 players. But since it was just a learning game (none of us had played before) I didn't think it would matter too much dropping down to 3 players. It did feel like we were missing something, but one of the first old world cards effectively stopped anyone going into two of the populous regions which forced us into conflict early.

Looking over the Khorne stuff afterwards we could see how he'd definitely make the game better. I haven't even opened my Horned Rat copy yet so I don't know how that will go.
>>
>>49380200
3 player games that are Khorne/Nurgle/Rat are actually good.
>>
File: 1384214071102.jpg (146KB, 708x664px) Image search: [Google]
1384214071102.jpg
146KB, 708x664px
>>49376016

>tfw picked up the very last copy at my local store
>>
>>49380255
I'll pay you $10+S&H for the box.
>>
File: they dindu nuthin you say.png (331KB, 415x425px) Image search: [Google]
they dindu nuthin you say.png
331KB, 415x425px
>>49380255
>>49380261
They're not gonna stop making it until feb. You can still get it from distributors.

>mfw desperate people being gouged by their locals.
Just call your distributors ffs.
>>
I just bought deception murder in hk and hanabi. Not trying to sound like /v/ but what am in in for?
Any tips and also is 6 player hanabi viable?
I always have like 6-8 people coming over and like a good third are impatient which is why i hope these games can keep their attention
>>
>>49380760
Hanabi with larger numbers can be a tad slow if people hem and haw and try to plan everything out perfectly. Deception is a bit easier to keep people moving and engaged since there's no super tight restrictions on when you can talk and what you can say.

For large numbers of player also consider the following social/social deduction games:
Good Cop Bad Cop
Mafia De Cuba
Cash n' Guns
Spyfall
>>
>>49380760
Also anyone have opinion on captain sonar?

>>49380884
Thanks ill keep those in mind
>>
>>49380628
>Just call your distributors ffs.
How. I have no idea how to contact, or even find, whomever manufactures CitOW.
I only want the box.
>>
>>49381030
perfect excuse to buy a second game and use it for spare parts
>>
First time in /bgg/. What's the general consensus on deck builders? What're the top 5 in your opinion?
>>
>>49381436
>What's the general consensus on deck builders?

Some folks like them, some don't.

>What're the top 5 in your opinion?

I don't know that I'd say they're the 'Top 5 Evar!' but I like:

Core Worlds
XenoShyft
Thunderstone (hopefully getting a reprint soon)
Arctic Scavengers
Legendary Encounters - Aliens
>>
>>49381030
I mean just call the warehouse that gives your locals their boxes.

They order from distribution warehouses who actually stock the shit. Your local just puts it on the shelf and charges 10-20% markup. They can also tell you which stores are buying which games if they're nice.
>>
>>49380158
I bought it for $17 back in early july

the expansions were $6-12 as well. I kind of wish I had picked those up. I was about to buy them the day of the announcement, but they jumped up to $40 while I was deciding if I really wanted to

>>49380760
well you're in luck, since deception is best with 6-10 people

do you have codenames? it's like $15 and works fantastically with that range of people. it's best with at least 6 so you have people questioning each other
>>
File: IMG_6223[1].jpg (5MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6223[1].jpg
5MB, 5184x3456px
Help
>>
>>49381436
I'm quite a fan of Valley of the Kings. It's quick and avoids deck bloat, should be able to get it for fairly cheap too.
>>
>>49380242
what's the consensus on the new decks and upgrades in the expansion? Should I use them or just keep the original ones?
>>
>>49382724
The new Old World cards are way to random, and most basically say "this guy right here, just fuck him. He can't win now." And since it's about likely to happen with each faction, the game turns semi-coop, which introduces the kingmaker problem.
The new upgrades and mini decks (forgot what they're called) homogenize the powers, iot's awful.
The expansion is still worth it for the Horned Rat.
>>
>>49382586
>>49382586

what game is this
>>
File: 1465409339389.jpg (20KB, 480x357px) Image search: [Google]
1465409339389.jpg
20KB, 480x357px
Help! I need some good cooperative games for some chill easy going game nights.

My group really likes Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, but options are always good.
>>
>>49382586
A saying about older people being wiser or something?

>>49382827
Concept.
>>
>>49383133

"old and wise", good job!
>>
>>49381879
>do you have codenames? it's like $15 and works fantastically with that range of people. it's best with at least 6 so you have people questioning each other
Yeah i bought codenames 2 weeks ago under the recommendation of /v/.
>>
>>49383262
>/v/ recommended something good.
Go buy a lottery ticket.
>>
>>49382813
>The new upgrades and mini decks (forgot what they're called) homogenize the powers, iot's awful.
I like the new chaos decks, they give Tzeentch and Slaanesh a fighting chance against the other two powers and turn them into contenders instead of forcing them to play the opportunistic scavengers.
It also gives Khorne more flexibility, he can now go for a points win strategy instead of a dial spin victory every time.
I can see why some people would dislike it, but I ain't going back to base chaos decks ever again.
>>
>>49382586

>happy quote/saying
>about old people
>inside their brains
>about knowledge

How does this equal "old and wise"? fuck off
>>
>>49383909
The happy clue is questionable but the others can be worked with I say.
>>
>>49383956

The group was guessing sayings about death so I tried to steer it in a happier or at least neutral direction.
>>
>>49352871
Is t-this where Kingdom Death discussion has moved to?
>>
7 Ronin looks interesting but TDT review was pretty bad. Anyone play it?
>>
>>49384316
no, you degenerates usually have your own general.
>>
Does anyone know when Vast will be available if you didn't back it?
>>
>>49384316
Sure?
What do you want to talk about my man?
>>
>>49384316
it's a real shame I wasn't into boardgaming when that kickstarter went up. I remember stumbling across his minis like 8 years ago and thinking they looked amazing, but he only sold them in limited quantities for a hefty price back then, and I don't remember there being a game attached to them

I wasn't able to find the site I remember from back then, but I did find this so it was around 8 years ago. fuck
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2008/01/kingdom-death-boutique-horror-miniatures.html
>>
So I've recently gotten into board games, and was wondering in regards of King of Tokyo. Which version of the game should I get? Should I get the newer version of the game or the classic? I played the classic one without any expansions, which is what got me wanting to buy the game.

Or should I not bother and get King of New York? I only bring this up because I noticed that >>49364641 has King of New York instead of either King of Tokyos.
>>
>>49385009
KoNY is generally considered better than KoT.

I think that both games are awful, so my personal opinion is "don't bother"
>>
>>49385044
I've heard the opposite, that NY kills the elegance of King of Tokyo with pointless added complexity
>>
>>49385044

What other game would you recommend for me? I assume the Light Eruo games on the picture are probably a good starting place.

>>49385078

If I do go with King of Tokyo over NY, should I go with the classic verison or the newer one?
>>
>>49385142
The difference is purely cosmetic for the base games. I assume they will release a new version of the "power up" expansion, which actually makes the monsters have different powers. In that case, decide if you want updated art, space penguin & cyber kitty instead of classic art, Kraken and cyber bunny. As far as I know everything else is the same.
>>
>>49385009

There's no real difference between the two editions of King of Tokyo. They just use different Art and monster names.

Personally, I think the Base game plus Power Up is the best version of the game. King of New York has just never clicked with my group, for reasons akin to >>49385078.

Like, King of Tokyo I can explain to a 10 year old in 5 minutes. King of New York takes just enough more explanation to move it into the lighter end of Medium.

Which isn't to say I don't enjoy several things the game does (removing the VP from the dice is a good move, in my book) but it ends up just complicated enough that my friends and I end up thinking "There are better experiences for this level of work."

Also, for some reason, the monsters in New York never clicked the same way as Tokyo.

Like, Tokyo drops a Clone of Godzilla, King Kong, Cthulhu, a Mech Suit, and a Robo-Dragon.

2's best guy is a T-Rex in a cowboy costume.
>>
>>49385458
the whale captain in a gigantic diver suit swinging a oil tanker by it's anchor chain is awesome and you know it.
>>
>>49385458
Alright. I'll probably end up picking up the new edition then.

Thanks to all the anons that helped answer my questions!
>>
The latest from GMT:

http://www.gmtupdate.com/
>>
>>49386052
So I don't quite get the p500. Assuming you miss it, do they do another general run? Or do they just print the 500 that have been confirmed?
>>
>>49386104
Well they'll print more than just 500 copies, it'll be based iirc on how many pre-order and how (eventual) previous printings have gone. So yeah, one print where pre-orders get theirs and various local game stores get a supply as well. When all those games are sold out however, it's up to the powers that be at GMT whether or not they'll do another P500, and when. In some cases it can take a while as well, I think Sekigahara which is being shipped now went a while without being available.
>>
list of items on the amazon buy 2 get 1 sale
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vXfXc3FjHHkIVEQDnLYqgMBP2Ra_NQmxFbPtk5LyOp4/edit?usp=sharing

of course I just fucking bought two of the games on the list two weeks ago
>>
>>49386451
Return them and buy them again.
>>
>>49386451
Shame I'm in Europe.
>>
>>49386451
how does that work?
3x2 on the same item or pick n' mix, pay the 2 expensive ones?
>>
>>49386451
>>49387108
Does it even apply to orders placed from Mexico?
>>
>>49387108
I have no idea what you're trying to say with the first part of the sentence, but it's the second way

looking at the most expensive games there, if you buy star wars armada for $80 and nations for $65, you can get mage knight for free instead of its normal $60
>>
>>49387814
I meant buy 3, get 2 of the exact same game
I guess you could have it that way, anyway
>>
>>49386451
fuck my nonexistent self-control
bleeding wallet, gonna have to reeeeeaaally stretch out my budget for the next month
on the plus side, Mage Knight, Zombicide and Pandemic Legacy
Guess I could always put one of them up for sale
>>
>>49387807
Looks like it does. Free global shipping too!
>>
Hello page 10 my old friend
>>
>>49383093
There's a lot of them. What exactly are you looking for?

Look at Code Names for an inexpensive game that's good for a group.
>>
File: 42rT7dy.jpg (161KB, 550x778px) Image search: [Google]
42rT7dy.jpg
161KB, 550x778px
>>49384448
I donno, just the regular.
Complaining about lack of updates, having an enormous backlog, wishing a few pieces hadn't gone out of stock so quickly.
>>49384720
I regret not backing as well. It's just he had little to no game to speak of and the early minis weren't that great, but all the additional content offered over the campaign was pretty cool. This artificial scarcity kills me.
>>
>>49393597
Whatcha mean artificial?
>>
>>49393862
bump
>>
>>49393597
He literally just did an update yesterday.

Did you miss it? They're doing another kickstarter for reprints in november or something. Though I wouldn't expect the game to be back to $100.

>>49384720
It's pretty neat. Not worth $400 unless you really lve minis, but it's a cool game.

I was debating biting the bullet and getting the Slenderman/Sunstalker but it's like $250 for me with shipping, and for that price I could buy another infinity army/5 board gamesa trudvang pledge + extra shit, etc.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (34KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
34KB, 1280x720px
I made it through May with our group only losing only the first game so far.
Fuckin Zombies? Really? Our group groaned on reading that and I think it knocked the game down a notch for all of us. Its been fun an intense, but that seems like the lamest twist.
>>
>>49396788
Oi.

I just spoiler'd myself. Sad day.
>>
>>49374110
Hanabi is also filler. Pandemic is light. Arkham horror is long, not heavy.
>>
>>49377043
Eclipse is as political as you want to make it, it just doesn't have the hand hold-ey "do this action to perform politics" shtick that some other games employ.
>>
>>49381436
No deck builder has come out that betters the mechanic since it was invented with dominion.
>>
>>49397542
Hanabi is very simple, but not a filler imho (if you try to win without cheating, anyways). You really need to get involved in it to remember, communicate, plan and deduce.
Long, fiddly games *feel* heavy after a while, you start wondering if there's something better you could be doing with your time.

>>49397615
Still, it's dry as fuck. Great game, not so great experience. That's why all dominion clones reskinned it to deliver whatever flavor you enjoy the best.
>>
File: guesswhatgame1.png (114KB, 363x169px) Image search: [Google]
guesswhatgame1.png
114KB, 363x169px
>>
>>49397586
Yes, and when you have to 'do it yourself' then you're building your own game, not playing what came in the box. I've seen way to many games where people did the absolute minimum. Sure, you can offer not to attack someone, but there's little real incentive to work together, and even less when it comes to betraying someone.
>>
>>49398474
Keyflower?
>>
File: guesswhatgame3.png (104KB, 235x298px) Image search: [Google]
guesswhatgame3.png
104KB, 235x298px
>>49398777
yep
>>
>>49398724
No, talking and making deals do not require you to change any rules. The game can be hyper political if you try to engage with other players at even a base level and, the outcome can be completely decided on alliances and deals if you're savvy enough.
A lot of people play this game in the way that sees them not fighting over resources or even participating in combat until the last couple turns and I can see how that might lend itself to a less interactive, more static game that doesn't work well with politics. That style of play, however, is really bad in Eclipse. Not only does it make the game more solitaire and luck of the draw based but will also be smashed mercilessly into the ground and left way behind in points by a more interactive and aggressive strategy that allows for way more politicking and deals (even if you don't participate in the politics, it's still a much, much stronger style of play).
>>
>>49398794
Pixel Tactics?
>>
I'm back to trying to make a board game despite the fact that I have no one to play it with in the first place.

Current ideas:
-- Character options to facilitate different playstyles, each with different traits and special rules
-- Scenario options to change the set up/goals/rules of the game
-- Exploring different decks that represent locations, filled with cards representing encounters, challenges, allies, spells, and items
-- Each location would also have additional rules
-- Tableau building, with certain cards being placed in a play space to gain their effects
-- Optional levels of co-op and PvP, depending on the scenario

I need suggestions of what to look up. I keep trying to watch videos of games that are similar to what I want, or at least have interesting mechanics to break apart and understand. I've been looking at Dead of Winter, Pathfinder ACG, XCOM, Eldritch/Arkham Horror, and a whole bunch of games that don't quite fit, like Bloodborne and Scythe.

I've got ideas of mechanical effects, but I'm not sure where to start with designing the game or creating prototypes. Only slightly related, but I'm also not sure what terms I can or can't use. For instance, I know Wizards of the Coast owns the term "tap", but what about "permanent" or "Artifact" or "Enchantment"?
>>
What's a board game theme or style that you haven't seen that you really want to see?

I want to work on a project.
>>
>>49399517
Start with the absolute base scenario, character, or locations, then branch out from there. Have an overall idea for everything, but don't try to do everything all at once, else you'd just get overwhelmed.

As for terms, just use whatever for the prototype. Avoid obvious cases like 'tap', but everything else can be sorted out once you find a publisher that can help you refine it.

As for suggestions, have a look at the Arkham Horror LCG coming up.
>>
>>49352871
I want to like Super Dungeon Explore

God I wish it was better
>>
>>49397586
>Eclipse is as political as you want to make it
Not being allowed to trade resources or units really makes it rather unpolitical.
>>
>>49399134
>No, talking and making deals do not require you to change any rules. The game can be hyper political if you try to engage with other players at even a base level and, the outcome can be completely decided on alliances and deals if you're savvy enough.
>A lot of people play this game in the way that sees them not fighting over resources or even participating in combat until the last couple turns and I can see how that might lend itself to a less interactive, more static game that doesn't work well with politics. That style of play, however, is really bad in Eclipse. Not only does it make the game more solitaire and luck of the draw based but will also be smashed mercilessly into the ground and left way behind in points by a more interactive and aggressive strategy that allows for way more politicking and deals (even if you don't participate in the politics, it's still a much, much stronger style of play).
You basically just said "it depends on the group."
>>
>>49399676
that's honestly really tough since it's a lot easier to list the themes I'm sick of

while I don't think they're super lacking, I'd love to see more mythology themed boardgames. especially mythologies that don't get as much love as norse or greek. of course the problem with that is lack of enough information. still, where are the games based on slavic, turkic/tengri, or ainu mythology
>>
>>49400212
> slavic mythology
Any vampire game.
>>
File: 5249130906_cfa0702179_z.jpg (65KB, 640x446px) Image search: [Google]
5249130906_cfa0702179_z.jpg
65KB, 640x446px
>>49393086
Preferably everyone as a team vs the game or against one player as the bad guy, and not traitor.

We like:
>Pathfinder Adventure Card Game
>Pandemic
>Sentinels of the Multiverse
>Super Dungeon Explore

I was hoping for some recommendations.
>>
>>49401044
On The Brink for Pandemic, if you don't already have it.
>>
File: pic660244.jpg (72KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic660244.jpg
72KB, 500x500px
So are the D&D board games any good and are they easy to learn how to play? I want to play tabletop role-playing games with my friends but they are more the board game type. Do you have any good recommendations for games that combine a fun board game with an RPG?
>>
>>49401814
Definitely leans more on the boardgaming side, but it would seem to me your group would greatly enjoy Mage Knight. It's an excellent boardgame, and manages to combine the good feels of exploring, developing your character, fighting some monsters and looting up.

Other than that, newest edition of Descent might be a good option to check out too.
>>
>>49399134
>a more interactive and aggressive strategy that allows for way more politicking and deals (even if you don't participate in the politics, it's still a much, much stronger style of play).
>much stronger style of play

Nah, turtling is the way to win in Eclipse.

Consider a hypothetical four player game. By being aggressive early you can at best play kingmaker by determining which of your two neighbours you concentrate on. The other one will do better. The player across the board from you who isn't get attacked by anyone (you can't get to him, other players are concentrating on their aggressive neighbour ie you) will probably win now.
>>
>>49401044
There are simple co-ops like:

Forbidden Island / Forbidden Desert
Once Upon a Time
Hanabi

For more complexity:
Zombicide
Dead of Winter (simply don't use the traitor mechanics)
The D&D series (like "Wrath of Ashardalon")
The Legendary Encounters series (Aliens, Predator, Firefly)
Gears of War
Level 7 Omega Protocol (has one player control the monsters.)
Level 7 Invasion
X-Com

I'm sure folks here can suggest others.
>>
>>49401814

Shadows of Brimstone has so so mechanics but really feels like a DMless RPG, I heard Kingdom Death : Monster also pulls that off but it's pretty hard to obtain.

>>49401884

Mage Knight is great, but pretty complex and each turn takes so long that I wouldnt recommand playing with more than two. The downtime is absolutely KILLER

Descent 2 is fine. Feels more like a racing for checkpoints game to me though.

I would also recommand TIME stories if you can handle a game that you can play at most once a year per expansion. I played it just las week with an old school RPG player and she was having the time of her life, pretty much.

Eldritch horror is also a viable option if you're into your cthulhu's and whatnot.
>>
>>49401044

I second all of this guy's >>49401978 choices.

Here's my favorites out of the bunch, if that helps :

Forbidden Desert
Legendary Encounters
L7 Omega Protocol

And a few additions :

Escape : the curse of the temple (not for everyone, due to it's chaotic, real time, nature. I fucking love it and so do most of my gaming buddies though)
Castle Panic (new star trek panic sounds good too)

Both are pretty light.
>>
>>49402021
>Escape : the curse of the temple (not for everyone, due to it's chaotic, real time, nature. I fucking love it and so do most of my gaming buddies though)
Is that the one where you frantically roll dice? It was great when a friend brought it over.
>>
>>49399134
>A lot of people play this game in the way that sees them not fighting over resources or even participating in combat until the last couple turns and I can see how that might lend itself to a less interactive, more static game that doesn't work well with politics.

>>49400102
>You basically just said "it depends on the group."

Exactly!

>>49399134
>No, talking and making deals do not require you to change any rules.

Then obviously you haven't thought much about the mechanics of an 'alliance' that a game that actually viewed politics as an important component would likely include.

Eclipse does **NOT** include the means to do any of the following while in an 'alliance' in game:

* You can NOT move your ships through an allied system without engaging said ally in combat. (So much for being 'allies'.)
* There are NO RULES for selling or sharing tech among allies.
* There are NO RULES for forming combined fleets in combat.
* There are NO RULES for combined / allied victory conditions.

The only 'politics' that happen 'out of the box' in Eclipse are agreements to not attack your neighbor - and MAYBE - you exchange an Ambassador tile (which is only worth 2 VP - less than many of the combat victory tiles) and a couple of resource cubes. This is chump-change in the overall scheme of victory points in the game. And it can be detrimental to your victory point total if you ally with 2 or more players when (as you pointed out) there's the mad scramble for victory points over the last couple of turns.
>>
>>49402063
Yes that's the one !
>>
>>49401989
I find the comment about downtime with Mage Knight a bit curious. As there is very few random things happening during a turn, at least in our group players have learned to plan during opponent turns and execute whatever they were planning to do with their cards fairly quick once they're up. It does take a game or two to reach that point, obviously.
>>
>>49402084

You also have to play it often to maintain that point, I only play it like once a year and it always take a while to get through a few turns.

I guess it'll depend if you make it a cornerstone of your collection or only play it from time to time. Almost any game you can reduce the downtime once you know everything by heart.
>>
>>49402147
I would argue that MK cuts down the downtime better than a whole lot of games because of the pretty deterministic way the turns play out. There's no dice slinging or encounter card reading during the turn, you have your hand of cards and are pretty aware of your options and the board the next turn the time your current turn finishes. Not that massive changes happen during opponent turns, sometimes monster chit you were maybe thinking of attacking is blown out before or a mana die you were thinking of using to power a card is used by someone else.

I'd be perfectly happy playing four player Mage Knight, though I feel three is maybe the sweet spot. Wouldn't go up to five though despite having Lost Legion.
>>
>>49400431
Nah mate there are lots more in slavic mythology than vampires.
But it's not well known and spread.
For example, Slavs had their own god of lightnings, like Thor, that in my region was called Peron.
Most of monsters present in The Witcher are based on Slavic mythology, people back then were projecting their fears, natural disasters or even diseases as abstract, unnatural forces impact. Everything could be explained by so.e demons influence and when you start reading about it it's just fucking make sense how these people imagined the world.
>>
>>49399676
Use a novel in public domain that hasn't been done yet
>>49400212
>>49402301
I had a solo game idea floating around for a while based partially on appeasing the sea tsar by providing the Caspian Sea with blood or tears. There really is a wealth of material there

I think there's another really neat game to be done on Cossacks. The first one to really take advantage of that theme will get a lot of copycats
>>
>>49402147
I haven't ever played MK. Heard it's probably the best solo adventure game. Any input on that, besides complexity and time reqs?
>>
>>49403401

Well it's pretty great, lots of moving parts, the card play, the resource management with the crystals. As a solo game it works perfectly to be quite honest. It's got something of a "hardcore gamer's runebound" if you've ever played that.
>>
>>49401884
>>49401989
So both of you don't recommend the D&D games? I really like the look of the minis it has.
>>
>>49403401
It's an excellent solo game with the Lost Legion expansion, which replaces the simple dummy player of the base game with a more concrete threat to fight.
>>
>>49403587
Sorry, haven't really got clue about the D&D games. Been staying pretty well on the boardgame side of things.
>>
>>49403587
>>49403616
Wrath of Ashardalon and it's ilk *ARE* board games - not the pen & paper RPG of the same name. If that was your question. And yes, it's a Co-op game where the players explore / murder-hobo their way through various dungeons.
>>
>>49403587

I have the entire series and they're ok.

I wish each would expand the other a little more seamlessly (as it stands it's "compatible but...")

I really do like em, they're just not the first thing I'd think off when asked for recommandations.
>>
>>49403587
Minis are OK, not great, but OK. But then again, you don't expect a ton of detail, high quality resin and dynamic poses out of miniatures from a WotC or Wizkids game.
A nice paintjob can do wonders for em, even if the detail doesn't pop on the miniature.

As for the game system, it has its flaws. If you don't reveal a new tile, you draw an event card. These events are mostly negative and after a while they can cripple or destroy your party by themselves, so leisurely exploring the dungeons is a bad idea. Best course of action is to zip right for the objectives, revealing new tiles every turn without pause and fight through whatever monsters are spawned. Also, monsters spawn after your turn finishes, so they will attack first every goddamn time. No initiative, no retaliation, just suck it up and take the hit.

So basically, what irks me about it is that I'm forced to rush to new tiles to encounter monsters or bad shit happens, and when I encounter monsters I'm forced to greet their fists with my face. I don't like being forced into a single playstyle.
>>
>>49404260
>>49403865
Thanks for the info. I just ordered Castle Ravenloft. I'll probably not play it often so I guess it'll stay fresh even with the forced play style (and when you think about it, hanging around in a hostile dungeon should be dangerous).
>>
>>49404817

Ouch wish you had asked before ordering, Ravenloft is the weakest set. It's still fine, mind you, but they all got progressively better. Temple of elemental evil being the best, mechanically, and Drizzt being the most varied (even having a few non cooperative scenarios)
>>
I've been trying to work out a simple pirate game.

It's hard.

I think the reason this theme keeps falling short is that there's just too much shit to cram in to anything light or quick.
>>
Buying a Dominion expansion, where do I start?
>>
>>49405328

Just base it around the Firefly board game.

Honestly Firefly is a wonderful example of what a pirate game could be. Just put in easier PvP mechanics with some actual reason to do so and maybe tone down some of the crewbuilding aspects.
>>
>>49405716
Whichever one fancies you the most.

Probably Prosperity is best, but you can also get some mileage out of Dark Ages, Adventures, or Empires. I also really, really like Guilds, which was recently repackaged with Cornucopia (which is ok).
>>
>>49405716
In the release order, skip or save Alchemy last is a pretty common suggestion. Honestly though, whatever you feel interesting if some kingdom cards catch your eye.
>>
File: MYZWIZTITLE5.png (3MB, 2660x1400px) Image search: [Google]
MYZWIZTITLE5.png
3MB, 2660x1400px
Designed an arena/CTF style game with some friends over the last couple years, finishing up the art now. Would this design draw your attention?
>>
>>49402301
I'm Polish so you don't have to explain slavic mythology to me. The problem is that we don't have much sources for it, there's no eddas and almost no written lore to take in. The slavic pantheon of gods is more extrapolated from nordic/greek ones than recovered from primal sources.

I'm just saying that "there are no games based on slavic mythology" is false, vampires are straight out of it.
>>
>>49406651
Textures are a bit generic. They look as if you used the default settings or a tutorial to make them.

The question mark looks....odd really...more of a hook then a question. Now its thats a part of the theme then fuck yeah, otherwise maybe not so many points?

it would be a game I would potentially check out...though just off looks I wouldn't be inclined to impulse buy unless it was cheap.
>>
>>49406866
I explained it for the purpose of general discussion to anybody interested in this genre. Which is, sadly, not a lot.
>>
While I'm not entirely frustrated with this, why do all my friends want to endlessly play Star Wars: Rebellion and not Chaos in The Old World?

Ive got about 7 good games of SW:R in and literally 2 of COW. Both are fantastic games, is it purely the flavor?
>>
File: Barter.png (3MB, 1350x2100px) Image search: [Google]
Barter.png
3MB, 1350x2100px
>>49407147
Thanks, that's useful input! I'm not a professional artist or anything, but I wound up taking on the art for the game, so a lot of the motifs are fairly simple. Sounds like the polish is there, but the actual designs need a bit more complexity.

I've got some examples of cards and stuff too if anyone's got notes
>>
File: ShroudOfPlus1.png (843KB, 2100x1350px) Image search: [Google]
ShroudOfPlus1.png
843KB, 2100x1350px
>>49407415
>>
File: Spelly.png (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Spelly.png
2MB, 2000x3000px
>>49407443
Characters have a more watercolory/hand-done look, but I think I should redo the outlines to match the vectorized feel of the rest of the game
>>
I dont have a very board gamey group of friends unfortunately.

>Betrayal at the house
only game I've played more then 10+ with the group
>Forbidden Desert
After the 2nd honest attempt and dying to the sun they never wanted to touch it.
>Mansions of Madness
No one wants to sit through it, takes quite a bit to set up too.
>Munchkins Cthulhu
Everyone gets too drunk to continue playing.
>Tanto Cuore
2 games and no one wants to play again because of the maids (games pretty good though)
>>
What are some good games with different player options?

I mean games where which character card/board you pick at the start will drastically alter your gameplay experience and strategy.

7 Wonders, Arkham/Eldritch Horror, Runebound, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, things like that.
>>
>>49406651
>>49407415
I really love the question mark and exclamation mark motif

it's funny and you designed a neat way to represent it
>>
>>49407587
Seconded.
Looks neat to me.
>>
>>49406651
This the one with the towers?
>>
>>49407368
>is it purely the flavor
Most than likely.

>>49352871
Is Celestia as fun as SUSD make it sound, especially at $20?
>>
>>49408909
>SUSD make it sound
Probably not. They hype shit up a lot.
>>
>>49409093
Eh, I gave Venetia a try at $20, I'll give this a try.
>>
>>49409521
I'm not saying it's bad, just that it's probably not as good as they make it seem.
>>
>>49401057
>>49401978
>>49402021
Thanks, I'll look into them. I remember seeing Level 7 at GenCon a while back.

Have any of you tried The Witcher game or Colossal Arena by FFG?
>>
>>49404817
Hey man if you are still hanging around that game isn't bad. I didn't like it at first because I wanted it to be a dungeon crawler and it's not. Then I read a comment on Board Game Geeks describing it as a fast paced action game with a time limit. The time limit is every turn you will take more damage than you can heal. Once I started approaching the game from that perspective I started really enjoying it. Don't take the cleric for the heals, take him because he wrecks undead. The mage is underpowered in that set. Use a mage from a different set at least house rules him a few extra hit points. This is a great solo game btw! :(
>>
>>49406866
well sure, but that's just barely scratching the surface. I know it's different, but imagine if games based on egyptian mythology were really just games that included mummies
>>
>>49406866
Vampires are not unique to slavic mythology, and the ones that exist in modern pop culture are barely related to the original legends.
>>
File: Picture1.png (1MB, 1686x723px) Image search: [Google]
Picture1.png
1MB, 1686x723px
>>49408387
>>49407587
Thanks!

These are couple more playable characters. There are 12 total, each with different abilities and playstyles that feed into their theming.
>>
>>49352871
i have arkham horror, elder sign, firefly fluxx (?) and now tsuro. what other board games should my wife and i get for us, our friends, and our children. we are thinking betrayal at the house on the hill, cards against humanity, and clue, but what would be recommended aside from those? trivial pursuit?
>>
>>49413374
Plague doctor? Nice.

And skeletons with guitars are always welcome
>>
File: 1473424314120.jpg (49KB, 447x723px) Image search: [Google]
1473424314120.jpg
49KB, 447x723px
>>49413461
>our children
>cards against humanity
>>
>>49413461
Betrayal is always a hit. CAH is a good one, but if youre considering that, look into Say Anything. It gives your group free reign over their answers, and really changes to suit who youre playing with.
>>
>>49413461
Please be bait, I'd feel like my mission failed if anyone bought Trivial Pursuit after hanging out on /bgg/.

Concept, Dixit, Las Vegas, Pictopia, Timeline, Bananagrams, Say Anything, Quirkle are all nice family games that kids and grownups can enjoy together.

There are tons others, please don't subject anyone to dice rolling trivia.
>>
>>49399676
do to operation what captain sonar does to battleship

is it possible? who knows

>>49413461
betrayal is the only one worth checking out imo. I'd personally get say anything or apples to apples over cards against humanity. they can both be played with anyone, and they can both be made dirty if you'd like. cah just feels forced and the novelty wears off quickly

I'd also recommend codenames, maybe carcasonne, citadels, the resistance, ticket to ride (usa map or europe), sheriff of notingham, and tales of the arabian nights
>>
>>49401888
No, not at all. You will win because you have the best systems and the most combat VPs.
>>
>>49400102
No, it doesn't depend on the group. /you/ are unable to engage in politics because /you/ are choosing not to, it has fuck all to do with the group.
>>
>>49399740
It's a really, really bad game. I'm extra pissed because as a kickstarter backer I received a lower quality game at a later date than people who purchased it from stores.
>>
>>49414165
Honestly, anyone that says turtling is the strongest strategy in Eclipse hasn't played it much, or well. People play this game competitively and if you look at their games it's always a very quickly developing slugfest over good resources and people relocating to the entire other side of the board is incredibly common.

People skip lucrative turns to have first dibs on neutron bombs early in the game, a very aggressive technology. I see a lot of new players turtling and parking their decked out dreadnaughts on their systems every game. I also see people claim that strategy is over powered because they don't know how to play against it. I most often see turtlers lose, because it's not a good strategy.
>>
>>49410263
Good to hear that it's fun to play on your own. I was planning to play it a few times by myself first so I'll have no trouble explaining it to my friends. I have plenty of rule heavy games that we never played because nobody wants to read the rulebook when we're all together (I'm looking at you Brittania and War of the Ring).
>>
>>49386451
>amazon buy 2 get 1 sale

Do you know how long this is gonna still be a thing?
How did you even find out about this??
>>
>>49415523
Already ended, anon. I heard it from >>49386451
him, then dug a bit.
>>
>>49415523
>>49415575

I could be wrong but it said something about november 5th. This might have been for something else though

>>49386451

I dont get how this works. So you just add games from that spreadsheet to your cart and then when you are checking out, it just reduces the price of the cheapest one to 0? or is there something special you need to do? lol
>>
>>49415636
that is how it would work, but the sale was for saturday only

found out about it from reddit
>>
>>49415636
It's ended. Under each game's description there was an additional entry that said there was a special "pay 2, get 3" offer on boardgames til 23:30 on september 18th, and a link for an info popup on terms and restrictions. All those are gone now, I checked.

You added items to your cart and when checking out it would simply deduct the cost for the cheapest game.
>>
So I got pixel tactics 1 and battlecon war of the indines and gotta say I'm really loving both. Battlecon complexity changes based on character really makes playing with different characters feel 100% unique.

Set up is quick after you set it up the first time because each characters card get their own holder. Turns happen simultaneously so no one is bored waiting for their turn.

Positioning on the board matters a ton which is one the most fun parts.
>>
>>49414191
One of my groups is a bunch of petty non-confrontational assholes. I can realpolitick, but with these guys all diplomacy has to be enforced by mechanics or they'll just gang up on the first guy who aggros.
>>
>>49352871
If I buy games from Z-Man am I giving to ANA yet?
>>
File: wizard kings.jpg (218KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wizard kings.jpg
218KB, 1920x1080px
This game is so dumb, with some glaring flaws, but I like it. Had a free-for-all 4 player game, and it just broke down into a WW1-style slog where noone really managed any real conquests
>>
>>49416625
A fantasy-based block wargame? What is this madness (tell me more)
>>
File: map7.jpg (125KB, 750x550px) Image search: [Google]
map7.jpg
125KB, 750x550px
>>49416713
Well, it's a game where you lead your fantasy armies against other armies in the typical Columbia games style. The twist is that you have wizards that can cast powerful spells, and modular gameboards with a great emphasis on terrain and cheesy fantasy names.

It does have some glaring issues. First off is the way expansions are made; the core game gives you 7 bare-bones armies, while the expansion gives you an assortment (3 of each armies) of blocks, booster-pack style.

Secondly, not all rules are really well thought out. Most notably is the rule for sea transport; in order for you to do so, you need to control both the city you're travelling from, and the city you're travelling to. This means that for the armies which do not have sea units or flying units (i.e. 5 out of the seven), some islands on the maps are effectively unreachable. Pic related

Still, it's good fun and the sea transport thing is easily house-ruleable.
>>
>>49399676
you're the most honorable shaman of your tribe and your khan consults you before every battle. the advice you give him will determine if he wins or loses

you're competing against other tribes who have similarly powerful shamans consulting their khans

your tribes could be fighting for occupation of the most territory, a specific location, or provinces could give different benefits for occupying them which will aid you in further conquest

try using dixit cards somehow
>>
>>49399676

I just want a game with dinosaurs and actually good mechanics. This is all I'm asking for.
>>
Amazon will have Lightning sales for Codenames, Thebes, and Galaxy Trucker today, fyi. I think Prime members get the sales earlier too.

I'll probably end up picking up Codenames as I need a quick, fun filler game for my 6ish player RPG/BG group.
>>
>>49399676
I'm working on a cooperative city building game. It's actually evolved from my original idea of a sort of Mother Base MGSV sort of thing, so I might go back to that.

I also want to make a game that feels like being an occult investigator stopping certain supernatural mysteries. Not "Cthulhu is rising!" but "find the vampire's weakness and defeat it". Multiple little scenarios as the players work together to prevent bad things overrunning the place, but are still competing for the highest score.

I want a game that's cooperapetitive. That encourages you to help out others, but ultimately only one player is the winner.
>>
>>49418636

Evolution and Bios: Megafauna. I haven't played Raptor or Apex Theropod but they might also be good?
>>
>>49418851
How do you figure tgese out? Do you just dig thru the upcoming deals or see it on reddit or something?
>>
>>49420768
not that guy but boardgamegeek hot deals forum
>>
>>49418851
you forgot to mention yugioh monopoly
>>
>>49420768

See
>>49420805

Hot Deals Forum has gotten me a fair amount of deals. I find r/boardgamedeals to be too slow and incomplete.
>>
No idea if there's a few fellow frenchfags around, but Rex is available for 7.5€ on ludikbazar. Those of you who like dem heavier ameritrash might like that.
>>
>>49418956
>I want a game that's cooperapetitive. That encourages you to help out others, but ultimately only one player is the winner.
In a sense, chinatown.

You have to haggle and work with each other, but only one of you can win, so you have to be clever in your dealings.
>>
So my play group realized we had been playing Twilight Imperium wrong for a long time a few weeks ago.

We had always played it that the Strategy card you pick determines your pick order for the next round (if you take Initiative, you get first pick, if you take Imperial, you get last pick, etc.)

Apparently you're supposed to go in clockwise order from the speaker token.

We just tried a game like that, and it just seems like it throws a lot of balance out the window and makes who wins the initial "random" first pick a fuck load more important. Doubly so since the higher numbered cards are pretty much all way more powerful than the lower numbered cards.

Think we're going to go back to playing it how we had originally done it.
>>
>>49421892
My group played cosmic encounter wrong for years.

We wouldn't do second encounters following a successful first encounter.

We still honestly think that's better. Way more interesting with a final round scramble to try to stop someone from winning.
>>
>>49416086

I know that feel bro. The main issue I have is that they're all willing to go full realpolitick after someone is willing to crack the "war seal", but every game with a confrontation aspect just tends to devolve into blandness unless someone is willing to throw themselves on the sacrificial altar as "first target".
>>
File: Eternal Suffering.jpg (95KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Eternal Suffering.jpg
95KB, 1440x1080px
>Playing some sort of competitive game
>4 of the players are hardcore, must win types
>2 of them are "lol as long as I had fun" types
>Game always ends up getting decided by the "fun" types throwing the game for one of the power players when they get bored
>MFW this happens every fucking time in nearly every fucking game
>>
>>49422127
>playing a game that goes so long it ceases to be fun
>>
>>49422155

We tell them the game is going to take probably about 2 hours. They go "Oh neat, sounds fun. I'll play."

About 45 minutes in, they're bored because they don't want to get into conflict with anyone or were playing to do some weird self-set goal or self-imposed limitation and they've either accomplished it (and are now at severe disadvantage and/or just bored) or won't be able to (because they were playing in a dumb way).

They're basically just table-flippers without having to pick pieces off of the floor.
>>
>>49416109
This is important. Has Asmodee acquired Z-Man yet, or are they still in negotiations?
>>
>>49422248
Kick them out of the group.
>>
>>49422630

Can't, one is the boyfriend of the usual host, other is girlfriend of the dude who owns the bulk of games in group.

Can't get one without the other.
>>
>>49422659
Start your own group. With blackjack. And hookers.
>>
Bump limit reached.

>>49422615
Done deal, anon. Their soul's been claimed.
>>
>>49422127
1. Play sillier games to loosen the competitive types up
2. Don't play games with kingmaking potential
3. Get gud
>>
>>49418636
Does Monsterpocalypse count?

Terra Khan all day every day
>>
I recently received a Sentinels of the Multiverse collection containing the first 2 expansions, a few small expansions and the Prime Warden set for $40.

Trying to get my friends into it and I've played it previously. Any suggestions on which other expansions I should buy? Should I just get the rest of the collection that's possible to buy?
>>
>>49423422
So if I buy from Z-Man at this point ANA gets money?
Fuck, I still want Glass Road, Le Havre, Clash of Cultures, and Cthulhu Pandemic (I've been holding off on regular Pandemic because I don't like the theme).
>>
>>49424350
A game with better art
>>
>>49424816
I feel ya, anon, seems like in a couple years there won't be any avoiding ANA short of backing only kickstarters and indie devs, buying secondhand or quitting the hobby altogether
>>
Woah, page 11?
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.