[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General - /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 30

File: bgg.jpg (510KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
bgg.jpg
510KB, 1024x682px
/bgg/ - Board Game General
Price Hike Edition

Previous
>>49171009

Resources
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Did you panic buy any Games Workshop property FFG games yesterday?

Are there any you didn't, but now wish you had?

Do you think we'll mostly see Star Wars/Lord of the Rings rethemes, or Descent/Twilight Imperium rethemes?
>>
>>49281126
I almost panic bought but then one anon said theyll split around february so i'm cool now.
>>
>>49281126
>Do you think we'll mostly see rethemes that print money, or rethemes that don't?
>>
File: Give it to me.gif (933KB, 220x250px) Image search: [Google]
Give it to me.gif
933KB, 220x250px
Going to ask again since no one mentioned it in the last thread. Is buying Table Top Simulator worth it and is there a community to meet online for it?
>>
>>49281543
I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, but most people seem to think it's worth the $10 on sale price just to be able to test out games before you buy them. there is a /bgg/ group in the pastebin. it's got 12 people and no scheduled events, so who know if they actually play together though

>>49281400
well yeah, but what about in a few years time when they find themselves losing either the star wars or lord of the rings license? it's safer to put it in the ti universe or terrinoth

>>49281246
but what if it's like a going out a business sale where stock is limited? sure they're together until february, but who knows if they'll keep printing the games
>>
>>49281126
>Did you panic buy any Games Workshop property FFG games yesterday?
No, I'm a poorfag
>Are there any you didn't, but now wish you had?
Chaos in the Old World sounds fun but nobody I play with is really into Warhammer
>Do you think we'll mostly see Star Wars/Lord of the Rings rethemes, or Descent/Twilight Imperium rethemes?
I'd rather they made stuff with original themes really
>>
>>49281656
>when they find themselves losing either the star wars or lord of the rings license?
I don't see this happeneing.
>>
from a poorfag to fellow poorfags how do you do to earn the money to pay for board games. who would ever thought that cardboard and plastic would cost so much?
>>
>>49281860
Mostly my dad gives them to me really.
But my advice would be to go to somewhere that sells used games. Try rounds of BGG if you want.
Or even better, start small. There are a bunch of fun games that are relatively cheap.
>>
>>49281860
>from a poorfag to fellow poorfags how do you do to earn the money to pay for board games
I set up a small business to get that sweet wholesale price. It's not hard.
>>
File: 511PWKX144L._SX425_.jpg (42KB, 425x439px) Image search: [Google]
511PWKX144L._SX425_.jpg
42KB, 425x439px
What does /tg/ think of pic related?
>>
>>49281897
>But my advice would be to go to somewhere that sells used games. Try rounds of BGG if you want.
Wanna hear a secret man?
I live far away from the US so yeah, the shipping costs are insane when I try to order some games for me. also most of the people on bgg do not want or can't ship where I live.

>>49281936
Oh really? like what things do you sell? prepared meals? sweets or similars?
>>
>>49281982
I sell board games. I basically just make enough to cover taxes, licensing, and my buying my own games, which lets me sell games cheaply and therefore quickly.
I'm only just now setting it up to get on the Gods of War KS, I'm using a bit of cash from my Amazon fuccboi job to do it
>>
>>49282083
You should post your store here so we can help a fellow anon
>>
>>49282083
I'm just jelly. lucky of you.
>>
What are some good 2 player board games? I have 7 wonders duel and its a lot of fun and I have android netrunner but the person I play with and I aren't really that good at it. We always walk away being like Corporations are way harder to pilot it seems which Im pretty sure just us not understanding the game well.
>>
>>49282481
Twilight Struggle
Battle line
>>
>>49282481
Twilight Struggle is a very good one.
>>
>>49282517
Heard of Twilight Struggle but don't know if the cold war motif would really resonate with us how is the gameplay?

Battle Line I have never heard of I will look into it.
>>
>>49282740
The gameplay is very much like 7 Wonders Duel in that it's a tug-of-war for VP. The game is built around influencing countries to your side and getting in the way of your opponent in several continents.

You don't have to be a Cold War fan to enjoy it, IMO, but you'll learn a lot more about the era.

It's a pretty decent length as well, but can still be played in 2-3 hours.

I'd recommend giving it a shot. It's a game that really isn't overhyped.
>>
>>49282740
i know this is going to trigger people but i wished Twilight Struggle gets a retheme or something.
I really dont like how it looks. it just looks so bland, like a map with a bunch of stickynotes on it.

im sure the gameplay is great and fun but its just one of those games i dont think i will ever get to the table just because of how it looks.
>>
>>49282848
The built in coffee stain triggers my autism so badly.
>>
Regular 7 Wonders or 7 Wonders Duel for 2 players?
>>
>>49283029
Duel is better for 2 players. But if you have more then 2 people to play with sometimes 7 wonders is the better pick up.
>>
>>49281126
>Panic buy FFG/GW
Nope. Only FoD interested me, and I passed on it only a week ago at $36. Certainly not clamoring for it now at full price. Hopefully GW make s a video game version at some point.
>Rethemes
Doubtful, they're fully aware of the potential for market saturation if they do that. However I expect Windrider/Catan Studio will get a lot more FFG developers going over to help while Asmodee upper mgmt goes shopping for new IPs.

>>49282848
Not rethemes but
1960: The making of a President
Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage
Imperial Struggle (upcoming)

Then there's COIN games. That said of all released games I think TS looks best
>>
>>49281860
Figure out your wishlist, set it up in a spreadsheet, you're gonna want 2 pages, first page get your MSRP, Amazon price, CSI/MM (whichever if your online discounter of choice), and lowest ebay price. Figure out what discount is the average, and then decide how much lower below that is a price you could part with and no regrets. Cut another $5-10 off it, that's your used buy price, never pick up a game below that and include your shipping charges on both your new/used prices. Your second page is for detailed info, max player count, BGG recommended players and best player count, duration, avg score by members, # of ratings, weight rating. Color code both sheets based on a game you're interested in, played and enjoyed, played and loved; if you demo something and don't love it, prune it off the list because you'll just end up trading it away anyhow if you make the mistake of buying. Figure out what your collection needs more of, prioritize those, and hold off til you can hit free shipping thresholds (preferably during sales), if it's a genre or player count that won't see the table as often, hold off even if it's a $10 game.

If a game isn't getting played regularly and you're not in love with it anymore, look up math trades; anything you get that's a promo/prize at cons or off kickstarter, presents from family, anything else. You can over value your stuff, but it'll take longer to trade, you're not dealing with each individual it's not as dickish a move. Watch the BGG buying/selling front page module, message boards/forums for sale postings.

Is this over the top anal/ocd? Yup, but if you're strapped for cash it'll ensure you get more play out of each game in your collection, and it'll ensure each game you buy is something you're happy to have spent every cent on. I've got 20-25 games added to my collection since 2012, and paid under $300 for them; yes a few are small games like Love Letter/Hanabi but it's mostly just smart buying and being patient.
>>
>>49281860
Tbqh, I pirated a number of games when I was starting, since I didn't have a stable income. PnP is a lot of work, and if you want them to be high quality, you'll often spend more than the retail price of the game.
So yeah, ugly stuff, but I still had fun.
Now it's a stable income, but It's still meager, so I have to be super selective about what I buy, do a lot of research and buy secondhand games.
>>
>>49283365
I've read all of that and now I think rather than a problem with games I have a trouble with money. I'll take the last tip because is more a lesson for me not try to get over enthusiactic for that game I've been looking for if no one near of me is willing to play with me.
>>
>>49281656
Yeh that's totally possible. I'm just saying I could wait some more time, breath, decide and maybe buy. No moni to get em all anyway.
>>
>>49283122
>COIN games
What are those?
I'm kind of a GMT fan but have never heard of them
>>
>>49283512
I've been told I'm a bit of an anomaly, especially when I compare myself to friends. I'm the guy who has two credit cards, uses them as free 30 day loans, pays off the balance in full, and gets cash back; all my friends either don't have cards, or run up massive credit tabs. I've only bought used cars, and keep em for 10+ years, stuff like that. I got out of school right as the recession was hitting, and I had to create my own job because no one was hiring at all. If you only have pennies and a few nickels in your change jar, every single one matters; at this point it's just bled over into my hobbies, and while it's obsessive, it also gives me something to do when a game night is cancelled. Plus there's a whole universe of things to do outside of just playing games. Foam core inserts for all your games is cheap and can keep you busy for a couple weeks. Grab a drop cloth, some latex painters caulk, and cheap apple barrel paints and do up playmats/boards for your card games.

Your collection should be a point of pride for more than just the $ spent on it, it should either be about the fun games you've had, or personalized all to hell because you love what you own; and if you're a shit painter, well you know more about it when you're done than when you started.
>>
>>49281126
Antone here play Mammon's Asmodee's FFG's Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game?
Fame & Fortune is going for what I consider a reasonable price, but Wisdom & Warfare, the expansion before it, isn't. Is F&F one of those expansions that only really behaves well with the previous one?
>>
>>49283809
https://www.gmtgames.com/c-36-coin-series.aspx
Games which simulate asymmetrical warfare. Started off with modern-era guerrilla/terrorist stuff, expanded into antiquity.
>>
>>49283873
I've played a few games of Civ, what would you like to know?
>>
>>49284233
Whether Fame and Fortune is only balanced in the presence of Wisdom and Warfare.
>>
>>49284275
>Wisdom and Warfare
Fame and Fortune fixes the dominant strategy from the base game where you just rush a economic victory. Wisdom and Warfare fixes the combat, making it more fair and strategic. Neither is really reliant on the other, and both add really good changes to the base game.
>>
>>49284352
Thanks.
>>
>>49283884
Those sound really cool, thanks
>>
>>49281126

No. I'm less of a fan of ANA since the take-over / price increase. And I haven't been a fan of GW's for a while now. I have some of their games from before the price increase, but I'm not worried about anything I don't already own. I do wish they'd have come out with the Forbidden Stars expansion that was talked about that included the Nids, etc. But that's life.

Nope.

>Do you think we'll mostly see Star Wars/Lord of the Rings rethemes, or Descent/Twilight Imperium rethemes?

Who knows. Not really worried about it, and TI3 is a niche game in a niche hobby - it's not likely to get a ton of reskins.
>>
>>49281780
>I'd rather they made stuff with original themes really
well we all know that's not going to happen. we're going to get tons more star wars stuff since that sells like hotcakes

>>49284828
I guess I should have worded that last question better. I meant if they decide to retheme the GW games they lost the license to, will they paste on a star wars theme or will they set it in the twilight imperium universe like they did with dune
>>
>>49284963
Oh! That would be funny to see them re-theme Forbidden Stars and come out with expansions just to rub it in GW's face that they could have made more $$$.
>>
File: sloth-in-the-rain.jpg (895KB, 1300x916px) Image search: [Google]
sloth-in-the-rain.jpg
895KB, 1300x916px
>>49281126

You forgot talisman rethemes you pleb :D

In other news, got a game in of The Others tonight with some friends. Gotta say that game has pretty much replaced descent for me. I say that because I'm a forever DM, and I certainly have a ton more fun playing as a sin controller once than I ever did as a GM with descent. I certainly loved how players focused on the abominations and avatar, but ignored the fire and corruption on the ground until they realized how it had been doing more damage over time than any of my minions were.

So yeah, highly recommend sum dat Others.

I wouldn't recommend getting scalped though. Fuck those guys. Also buy some fire tokens from gale force 9 or something. Stock ones are shit.

Also, still feels kind of weird that pride has the biggest avatar of the 7 sins. I guess so people wouldn't get too pissy and feel like one of the add on boxes would be a must have. Or something.
>>
>>49286419
I missed the KS on 'The Others'. Is it a better 'race game' than Descent, or better because it's not a race game like Descent?
>>
>>49287373

It's like a reverse scenario of that. The longer the players take, the harder it gets for them. The sin controller doesn't get a turn per say so much as you just wait and decide when to react to players. You get a certain number of reaction tokens, players get 2 each. At the end of one of their turns (which involves a short move and action), you can decide to activate a minion to do the same, which is move and attack. You can only attack the player your activating on, but combat is all monsters in a space vs that one player, so for your activation you can get a monster who was nearby to jump in, and everyone who was already there fully contributes to the fight as well.

What needs special mention is the negative conditions of fire and corruption on a given space. You have a 1/6 chance of causing one point of damage whenever they enter or leave a space. You have a 1/6 chance of getting exploding die, which (i need to look into this because it doesn't say one way or another, but its how it works for combat) lets you roll another die. I think that doesnt happen on fire though, because that means there's a chance they could walk into an area on fire and after a few good rolls from the sin player, they just die. There's no soaking fire damage unless you have a special ability or equipment. Still, 1/3 chance of taking an auto wound when entering or leaving an area with fire. It's brutal.

On top of that, there's a apocalypse tracker that goes up every round, so you start summoning more stuff per round, stuff gets stronger, etc. etc.

And the corruption mechanic is great. A hero could take on a bunch of corruption to get a bunch of bonuses, but after a certain point, whenever you hit them with corruption, which they would normally take, they instead take damage instead, and start losing those bonuses. They've got a 1/3 chance of avoiding that corruption roll, but there's things like damage also going at them so yeah.

It's pretty brutal, but everyone had fun
>>
>>49287828
thanks - sounds like an interesting game.
>>
>>49283365
be sure to use http://camelcamelcamel.com/ if you're buying from amazon. it's not perfect since it doesn't include shipping from third party sellers, but it's way better than nothing.
>>
I bought Forbidden Stars and CitOW. That'll be it id say, i dont even know if I want Chaos but id rather have it and not want it than want it and not be able to get it. Can always sell it down the line, but maybe itll be better than Forbidden Stars anyways.
>>
>>49281860
get a job
>>
>>49283365
To add to this anon's sound advice - there's also Board Game Geek's 'Geek Bazaar' where other board gamers are selling stuff. I've gotten various good deals there in the past.

>>49290504
Oh, that's a cool link. Might have to add that to the Pastebin since it's helpful. Not the Anon you were replying to, but thanks.

>>49283831
> Collect games for their enjoyment value or for your love of the collection...

I thought I had a lot of games (including stuff I simply wanted even if it won't get played much) - then I met the designer of Dungeon Roll in an airport earlier this year and struck up a conversation. Turns out the guy runs a board gaming convention in the St. Louis area IIRC and has an 800+ game collection. That's A LOT of love...
>>
>>49281126

No, don't have the cash, and Ameritrash just ain't my thing. Although Blood Bowl: Team Manger was fun. RIP.

Sure; the extra cash would be great. I would love to buy the Carson City Bix Box, but it was mucho expensive and now mucho OOP.

For stuff that has chance to be popular, the former; the rest, the latter.
>>
>>49290504
Yup, that and thetracktor.com for amazon, and when you see a clearance happening at Target/Walmart brickseek can help save you a drive by checking if the game is even in stock near you.
>>
>>49282481

BattleCON is my favorite 2 player game. It's basiclaly Guilty Gear: The Board Game, and it's fun as hell.

I generally recommend just grabbing the Devastation of Indines box. It has game to last you years. The bastards at Level99 like to put more shit inside every big box than most companies do in a big core plus two expansions.
>>
>>49290504
>>49293032

Damnit! Now I'll have to update the Pastebin again with more good stuff. Thanks! :)
>>
>>49293731
The pastebin is doing fine, don't worry; every time I meant to update that wife's rec picture I'd end up just revising the prices/scoring on my buy list instead, then that leads to checking the BGG marketplace, buying/selling, and trade/auction modules on the front page. By the time I'd get done had to get back to work and /bgg/ had to wait another day.
>>
>>49293797
Heh! Welcome to the addition. (And thanks for the info-graphic. I pass that out when others request advice. It's handy.)
>>
>>49280316
Because in the right mood and with the right people, I still think FoD is a fantastic game. I just think Specter Ops is more accessible and flexible.
>>
Some of my work friends have been getting me into board games recently and I just picked up Arkham Horror. Played a couple games with a friend but we're having a big group come over around Halloween to play it.

What are some must have expansions for it? And is it a bad idea to mix too many of them together, or should you stick with the base game plus on other expansion? Since I'm new to board gaming I'm at a bit of a loss with how to go about expanding
>>
File: Collection2.jpg (2MB, 1774x1296px) Image search: [Google]
Collection2.jpg
2MB, 1774x1296px
I ended up buying all the Cerberus engine games after getting into them at the end of last year. Really simple, and easy to combined sets, went a bit overboard to work on a workshop mode for tabletop sim...

I started getting into boardgamegeek, but their site looks like it hasn't been updated since 1999, and it's been hard to find some random promos.

Now I'm at the point where I need to buy a bookshelf just for this collection.

Can't wait for Crossover pack 5 comes out and Attack on titans base set to fuck around with, but no real release date.
>>
>>49297099

>Picked up Arkham Horror

Really wish you would've told us before, I would've told you to go with Eldritch instead (pretty much the same game but betterer)

Anyway, if you want to expand, I suggest you pick up Dunwich. Adds a couple nice mechanics. But also makes things far harder to manage, if you're new to board gaming, keep in mind this is going to be quite the undertaking. If you want to add just a bit of flavor, you could pick up one of the small expansion. Any of them are fine.

If you go and buy multiple BIG expansions though, dont try playing with all the boards. This is going to be madness.

Also, big groups are notoriously bad for Arkham Horror, the game is going to take FOREVER. Maybe you're okay with that, but the time between turns is going to be quite harrowing, be warned.
>>
>>49281543
The people ive met online are a little cringy, but some of the nicest folk ive had the pleasure of meeting. Im constantly impressed with the games UI and the amount of customization people can add to the game. I mean XWING plays fucking great on it, I almost prefer to play xwing digitally then on the tabletop.
>>
File: 1392743229368.jpg (275KB, 1024x1366px) Image search: [Google]
1392743229368.jpg
275KB, 1024x1366px
>horror themed game for 2+ players
>not an LCG or miniature game

Any ideas? We're looking at Elder Sign and it looks good but any others?
>>
Hey guys, my brother recently picked up a (complete) copy of the ffg starcraft game for an absurdly low price at a thrift shop. We are hoping to give it a test run as a 2 player game next weekend. Is there anything I should know when playing it with the minimum number of players so as to make it run more smoothly? Does it run alright with just 2?
>>
>>49297195
What makes Eldritch Horror better out of curiosity? I picked up Arkham mostly because it's what I've seen most at my FLGS and I was looking for something fun and horror themed for the holiday.

Shits a little confusing because it seemed like there were at least two other games that use similar material.
>>
>>49297909

FFG's milking the Arkham Horror brand for all it's worth.

Anyway, it's more streamlined. The game is about as long as AH, but feels faster, there's less fiddly shit to keep track of, expansions are better integrated and each game as a whole presents a more cohesive story.
>>
I would never put Chaos in the Old World into my collection because I'm an imperial patriot since early childhood
>>
>>49297909
the games play very differently

arkham focuses on a single town. things feel more cramped, you feel less in control, like you're on a ride just hoping it doesn't go off the rails even though you know it will

eldritch is honestly more similar to pandemic. you run around the globe quickly putting down cultists and closing up gates. the story telling is a bit lighter, but it also usually makes more sense. it's a shorter, easier, less confusing game.

the only real similarity is the theme. for a lot of people, that's enough for them and they chose eldritch because it's a better game. for others, they don't want to give up the experience that arkham provides. most people acknowledge that eldritch is a tighter better game, but many still swear by arkham

it's almost like elder scrolls (arkham) vs the witcher (eldritch)
>>
>>49297469
Escape from the aliens in outer space. Absolutely terrifying, tense competitive space survival with hidden roles, anon suggested it and I got the PnP version. Sort of abstract but hella fun, check out a few gamplay vids, see if it's for you.
>>
>>49282848

Yeah right. A wise man once said:

"The problem with Twilight Struggle is that no other game is Twilight Struggle."
>>
>>49298015
Shame. It's easily one of the best assymmetric area control games you could ever play. Give yourself a chance, suspension of disbelief is a great thing.
>>
>>49298035

>the only real similarity is the theme

I have to disagree, the encounters are very similar, the monster movement is similar, the items, the skill checks, character powers... I'm not seeing the parallels with Pandemic at all apart from "it's a map of the world"
>>
>>49284659
COIN nut here. If there isn't a specific theme that you need (or your ok with extra purchases), start with Cuba Libre or Falling Sky. Both are simpler, although CL is better due to the same population-opinion mechanic showing up in the rest of the games.
>>
>>49298681
>the monster movement is similar
>eldritch
>monster movement
>>
>>49298722
Side note: COIN stands for COunter-INsurgence. All games feature regular armies vs guerillas/insurgents/freedom fighters/whatever
>>
>>49298724

Well alright, most monsters are stationary. But you have to concede that the skill checks, curses/blessings, encounter cards (with the three separated events and shit)... are very close.
>>
>>49298804

I'm not the anon you replied to, but these look interesting. Sorry if I missed it since I just very quickly skimmed the reply chain but how is the solitaire game, in terms of fun compared to multi-player and also for replay value?
>>
Any Bostonians who went to BFIGs here?

Had some cool shit yo.
>>
>>49282083

This
>>49282224
>>
>>49300025
Still working on it. I won't need to, actually, if my LCS proprietor who's been missing since Thursday gets his dick outta his hands and shows up before Wednesday, I've got a deal with him which isn't illegal and works better for both of us.
>>
>>49299456
If you don't mind following flowcharts, then it's a great substitute for 4-player. But nothing beats watching one faction haggling with another for a couple bucks so they can fight a third.
>>
Hey friends, what do you think of my potential stuff to buy ? Ill greentext the ones im more inclined to buy sooner rather than later

Fury of dracula
>Vault wars
>Citadels
Ascension
Settlers of catan
For sale
Roll for the galaxy
Biblios
Captain sonar
>Imagine
Codenames
>Mascarade
>Android netrunner
Thunderstone
Shadow hunters
>Tales of the arabian nights
>Small world
Jamaica
>Battlecon devestation of the indines
The captain is dead
Space cadets
Once upon a time
Mission red planet
CV

Opinions, anectodes, caution, stop me, convince me.

Im thinking ill spend 150~200 bucks on my next order, what would you say are the essentials?

-friend
>>
>>49300169
If you want Fury you better buy that shit up now before it goes up in price (see: GW-FF deal falling through).
>>
>>49300169
If you've got any inclination in that direction at all, I highly recommend grabbing a copy of the netrunner core set. The game isn't for everyone, but it's unique enough and has enough content in the core that I think it's absolutely worth experimenting with.
>>
>>49281126

I panic purchased Fury of Dracula, Forbidden Stars, and the Warhammer Quest card game.

I'm a little disappointed we'll never see a reprint or another edition of Warrior Knights from FFG.
>>
>>49300156

Cool, I'll probably get it then. It's very difficult for me to get 4 people together for a games night, due to time constraints, so I'd like something that's decent as a one player as well. This sounds like it could fit the bill. Thanks anon.
>>
>>49300169
Citadels is getting a reprint with new content apparently in the near future. I've enjoyed my set enough that I'm thinking of popping on the new one.
>>
>>49300233
Does GW own Fury?
>>
>>49302023
they published the first edition back in 87. I would imagine fantasy flight changed enough that they could just rename it and put it out with the dracula theme and not run into legal trouble, but who knows.
>>
>>49300348
>Forbidden Stars
A shame it got shitcanned before they6 could release the four interesting factions.
>>
>>49302058
>and put it out without the dracula theme
I'll assume this is what you mean.
>>
>>49302076
nope, I meant with the dracula theme. how copyright law applies to board gaming is quite nebulous, but I'm pretty sure they've changed enough from the first edition that it could be considered a completely new game. It definitely wouldn't be like khet vs laser battle where laser battle was a blatant ripoff

although ffg is now owned by a european company, so maybe the laws are different.

like I said, board game copyright is a weird thing. obviously individual mechanics aren't protected, but I don't know where the line is. if it's the use of multiple mechanics, or a combination of mechanics with the theme, or what. all I know is fantasy flight changed a lot from second to third edition, and if they changed an equal amount of things from first to second edition (which might not be the case, it could have just been a slight update), then I'd imagine they're different enough to be safe
>>
>>49301970
yeah i heard bout that, had it in mind when listing citadels.. I wasn't sure which would be better but figured with the price difference and the wait, I'd probably go for the original. Also, from what i hear they made some fixes to minor balance issues, and to be frank thats more or less all i cared about. The extra characters and whatnot are cool but don't interest me enough to warrant the wait/price difference.

>>49300233
hmmm good looks, yeah I was a bit iffy on this one but i'm thinking that maybe I should get myself one coz even if i end up not wanting to keep it, i can probably make some money...

>>49300273
Yes! as a matter of fact I really want this game!! and i'm confident that i'll have a few people to play with me.. I was considering getting the core set from someone on bgg for about 22 bucks (without the box) or roughly 30 bucks with it.

Any idea as to whether its worth keeping the box? or should i just nix it to get a lower shipping cost?

Also, I was in touch with someone who wanted to sell their base set along with a bunch of extra netrunner stuff, i never got the details on that because he stopped responding... but it was gonna be 50 bucks which to me sounds almost certainly a good deal.

whadya think? should i hold out on this guy's response or just go for the core set from that first guy?
>>
File: wr02_emperor.png (264KB, 300x513px) Image search: [Google]
wr02_emperor.png
264KB, 300x513px
>>49301970
hmm
>>
File: boardjames2.jpg (130KB, 942x913px) Image search: [Google]
boardjames2.jpg
130KB, 942x913px
How is this?
>>
>>49302866
I'm pretty sure I told you last time that you don't need both Forbidden games
>>
>>49302648
WE WUZ ...
>>
>>49302866
have you looked into one night ultimate vampire? a lot of people are iffy on the changes from werewolf, and I flat out dislike it

also I'd agree with the other anon. unless you have young kids, it's not worth getting both forbidden island and desert. desert is the meatier game that most people like more, although some do prefer island
>>
>>49302498
The box is a box, if you decide you're into it and start expanding, you'll outgrow it relatively soon anyways. It's not an ugly box, but I probably wouldn't pay eight bucks for it.
>>
>>49302498
go for it. 50 bucks for core + a couple deluxe packs + assorted shit is a steal
>>
>>49302866
Looks good, though I personally don't enjoy Tokaido all that much. Also, if you're a bit patient and wait for a deal, you can score Forbidden Island for $12
>>
File: 1473529106212.webm (2MB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1473529106212.webm
2MB, 480x640px
>>49302866

>not buying Jaipur
>>
Now that GW and FFG are not going to work together anymore, should I get any of their board games? I was looking at Fury of Dracula but I am not 100% if I should get it.
>>
>>49300169
I can highy recomend Battlecon: devestation of the indines. it has a good about of customizability with different modes and even co-op. but if you are not i to that, the base fighting mechanic and the feel of the different fighters is more than enough to carry the game.
>>
>>49303597

Better decide quick. The second edition was going for $100+ after it sold out, and the current 3rd edition will likely have the same fate.
>>
>>49297099

3-4 players is optimal for arkham, anymore than that and the flow of the game gets axed and turns take forever
>>
>>49302648
>blacks in power
>special ability isn't "You lose the game".
>>
File: 41Pbpne59rL._SY300_.jpg (13KB, 273x300px) Image search: [Google]
41Pbpne59rL._SY300_.jpg
13KB, 273x300px
I like this game, a lot, but it's $50 at every retailer. Why is it so expensive?
>>
>>49304608
Because Asmodee
>>
>>49302910

I agree with this guy. Just buy Desert.
>>
>>49304608
lots of little pieces for a fine game, but nowhere near worth the price.
>>
Just impulse bought a copy of Dead of Winter for $30 off of craigslist, brand new in shrink. What is /bgg/'s opinion on it? I know it was super hyped a couple of years back and the Dice Tower gave it their game of the year, but I have heard it can be too easy for the betrayer to win. I have yet to get it played, but it seems like good fun in the right group.
>>
>>49281860
set aside $10 a week, or $20 each bi-weekly paycheck. This is your boardgame fund. Once your fund money = the cost of a game/games you want to buy, buy those games.

This has worked well for me for a couple of reasons. One, it limits how much you spend. Two, it limits when you spend so you are less likely to impulse buy, and also you spend more time thinking about what you are going to get. Finally, it ensures that the games you buy are more likely to get played, because you're probably not going to buy another game for a month or so unless you buy a few smaller games.

I have a fine collection after trying this this year, it sucks ass but I'm not blowing through my paychecks or starving for games. Try it out.
>>
>>49305146
Pretty boring. It's good for one play and then (like every single other "thematic ameritrash") it's the same old hurrdurr everytime where you try to pretend you're not bored out of your skull as you go through the exact same motions.
>>
>>49305198
That's alright I guess, it's the first thematic ameritrash game in my collection and I got it new at half price. Who have you played it with? I have some friends who I am staying with who are into stuff like X-Wing and Forbidden Desert/Island, they play board games occasionally, do you think it would go over well with them?
>>
>>49281860
Schizobucks

Loads and loads of Schizobucks
>>
>>49305198
I can taste the salt from here m80, try not to die of boredom with you cube pushers.
>>
>>49305198
>like every single other "thematic ameritrash"
EH, TI3, CitOW, etc. are all good for many more plays, dunno what you're talking about.
>>
>>49305236
Depends if they like using their brain at all. Like I said, you'll probably get one play out of it and from then on it's "oh I go here because it's the obvious choice, roll some dice, did my character die?" rinse repeat.

>>49305358
0/10

>>49305414
Do they have an strategy element or do you follow a 3 step flow-chart and chuck some dice about.
>>
>>49305433
>not having played eldritch horror, twilight imperium 3, or chaos in the old world
You don't get to make statements about Ameritrash.
>>
>>49305452
It's called ameritrash because like all things american it appeals to the lowest common denominator and is braindead garbage.
>>
File: 1418118507403.jpg (89KB, 651x720px) Image search: [Google]
1418118507403.jpg
89KB, 651x720px
>>49305474
>>
File: wr02_architect.png (246KB, 300x513px) Image search: [Google]
wr02_architect.png
246KB, 300x513px
>this tumblr art
man, I was interested in the update, but I guess I'll get the old version before that's no longer available
>>
>>49305433
>>49305474
>>49305198
I have a few questions but first i want to make it clear that these are sincere and im just interested in your opinion.

What are some of your favorite games?
Any ganes youd recommend to someone who is new to the hobby and doesnt quite yet have a group of gamer buddies (ie good gateways)?

Bonus points for being reasonably priced
Double bonus for games that arent complicated yet have a good depth to them/require some thought and strategy/tactics.
>>
>>49305541
Favourite games would be Bora Bora / Aquasphere / Small City / Dominant Species / La Granja / Race for the Galaxy.

Good gateways? Carcassonne is pretty good, nice with the first 2 expansions. Kingdom Builder likewise

Castles of Burgundy (certainly in the UK) is probably one of best bets for a low cost game. If you're willing to do some work you can sniff out good deals on just about anything nowadays.
>>
>>49305254
Nani?
>>
File: pic2435636.jpg (174KB, 650x592px) Image search: [Google]
pic2435636.jpg
174KB, 650x592px
>>49305515
have to say I'm not a fan of this style. I really like the art in ryan's games, aside from the characters
>>
https://youtu.be/oxQSEP_TThQ?t=133

wait what, I haven't seen anyone talk about this and I can't find a press release from aeg or anyone talking about it

fucking hell, is this going to become the norm?
>>
>>49306123

Well, I guess all the people here boycotting isnt making much of a dent on Asmodee's policy.

Chances are a lot of other companies are going to think "if they can do it, why can't we ?'

It's gonna be a tough life for our wallets.
>>
>>49304405
Well, how good is the game?
>>
Played Arboretum last night. Got absolutely crushed at it but found it fun regardless
>>49302343
That would be extremely suspect for an established game company. Everyone would call them out on it and GW would sue anyway

You might wonder why FFG would stiff GW like that yet still pay licensing to Chaosium for Lovecraft-based games
>>49304608
It definitely wasn't always that expensive. Wait for a sale or get the giant mat, then get suggestion cards and pieces from a different game
>>49306123
Don't own any AEG games, should be easy at this point to continue not buying AEG games
>>
>>49306728
Boycotting won't do shit unless everyone is on board, and we're all gonna cave in for some thing or other because really, games are cool and we want them.
>>
>>49306888
>Arboretum
How'd you pitch it to the other players to get them to play?
>>
>>49306894

Yep, personally, I never intended to boycott. And asmodee owns so many brands these days, not buying anything from them is becoming harder and harder.
>>
>>49306888
Checked

We can only speculate about what happened between them. What we can count on is both parties being unreasonable twats trying to out-jew the other instead of working something out that would benefit them and the consumers.
>>
>>49306728
Boycotting isn't even necessary. Simply refuse to buy for full price from any of the big box stores and they'll start losing interest in taking up shelf space with product that doesn't move. When companies start seeing declining sales, and share holders see declining stock values, things change. It won't happen right away, and odds are there will be unfortunate fallout / consequences. That said, used games aren't going to disappear, and new companies are popping up much more frequently now.
>>
>>49306962
Well, one of the big 'Screw You' signs was FFG recently announcing a 'Fantasy Miniatures' board game which is obviously going to compete directly with GeeDub's 'Age of Sigmar' brand. (Odds are pretty good that FFG / GW had a 'miniatures game' non-compete clause in the I.P. licensing agreement.) Whether this was *because* FFG knew they were losing GW's contracts, or the *cause* of losing GW's contracts it's hard to say. But the timing of FFG's new release is certainly interesting.
>>
>>49306916
I don't own it, but I saw one of the guys holding it while rummaging through his game bin and I said "oh hey let's play that." He owns three copies and he's never played. The third guy had played it before

I have no idea how I'd get it played without prior knowledge. I might say "abstract card-laying game with simple rules but complex scoring"
>>
>>49307363
>He owns three copies and he's never played
What, why?

That sounds good, gives a clear idea on what it's about while still having a hook to it. Much better than starting with "a game where we build a park for trees".
>>
>>49306123
It's like an hour long vid. .. Which part are you referring to?
>>
>>49307448
>>
>>49306123
They didn't do a press release to the mass public, they told game stores, and Vasel. Not surprised it's happening again, but I am disappointed it's AEG doing it. Upside Vasel finally called out the hypocrisy of Target exclusives when they're jacking up prices trying to "save" the LGS.
>>
>>49306894
>>49306955
Exactly what happened to the video games industry, and board games will follow suit to a tee. God help me though if you guys have the audacity in several years time to turn round and whine when you're getting helpings of steaming overpriced DLC shit forced down you for Zombie Cthulhu App Integrated Board Game #49 and are told to shut up and like it.
>>
>>49307906
Yeah, skip the first 2 minutes or so of intro and go right into the news section.

>>49307973
If one starts being a dick (for profits) lets all start being dicks! Hooray...

>>49307976
Expansions have been a thing for a while. Overpriced expansions is just easier to pull off now thanks to the wonders of KS.
>>
>>49307404
Supposedly it's OOP in the US but only $20 in France, so he got 3. He's an insane collector
>>
>>49308330
Expansions were fine in the early video game industry too. Then it turned into already planned and produced content that is deliberately and blatently cut so they can flog it to consumers so they can actually play a completed game.
>>
$25 for Specter Ops. Worth?
>>
Is there a cheap place to get legendary or play legendary for free? We have a local place in my old hometown that had a wall of board games you could play for free and I played legendary there and really enjoyed it but now I don't live near it but still wanna play.
>>
>>49308702
I'd go for it, definitely.
>>
>>49308701
That was Seafarers of Catan.
>>
>>49308702
This should like to Rodney Smith's videos on Specter Ops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUS0uccdRMM&list=PLHvfN_pNBj_GShvUytzdJUuA_gABM_fNX

They include his game play through.

For $25 you can't go to far wrong.
>>
File: Cat Landing Pad.jpg (60KB, 940x940px) Image search: [Google]
Cat Landing Pad.jpg
60KB, 940x940px
>>49281126
What FFG department do I contact to ask about getting a replacement box?
>>
>>49310458
Customer service - just like any other company.
>>
>>49310458
Lucky americans, all I'd get as a reply overseas is "Dinged box? Too bad, none of my business outside the US, suck it up, "
>>
>>49311385
You do realize that since FFG now a part of Asmodee and Asmodee has a strong European presence? I'd be willing to bet your issue with getting a replacement box will be more to the fact that GW / FFG are parting ways rather than location. Asmodee / FFG have a long history of very good customer service.
>>
>>49302648
>hmm

>The black man's power is rob the crown from somebody and give it to another guy ... who you then also steel from.

REALLY MAKES YOU THINK
>>
>>49302866

I've played all but Vampire. Betrayal is stupid but fun, a (deliberate?) the board game equivalent of a B-movie. Mascarade is good party game. The co-ops aren't my thing, but I would still play if there was nothing else.

The only game I don't like is Tokaido. There's just not enough choice for it to be interesting. I got up in between turns to look at the FLGS' stock between my turn since it got so boring.
>>
>>49311820
>>The black man's power is rob the crown from somebody and give it to another guy
You can only activate the top effect if the crown is yours.
>>
>>49311917
Agreed, Betrayal is more about the script, how it plays out and how you interact with the other players around the table than about the game itself having sound mechanics. It's been a riot whenever we've played.

One time a guy got to play the kid, and found the mangy dog inside. He promptly named it Athanasios and claimed it was his new bestest friend in the entire world forever. Then, of course, it turned out the kid was the traitor; Athanasios had been whispering in his head to claim the souls of the party. It was silly, creepy, weird, and a lot of fun.
>>
File: WHY.jpg (129KB, 1000x618px) Image search: [Google]
WHY.jpg
129KB, 1000x618px
What the shit
>>
>>49313821
Uterus: the Bleedening.

Hey, at least it isn't roll and move.
>>
>>49305146
Just to ask again, anymore thoughts on Dead of Winter besides it being a thematic ameritrash?
>>
>>49313821
>BGB covers AEG nonsense
>SUSD covers The Period Game
Yup sounds about right
>>
>>49315330
It's thematic and functional - the problem isn't so much that it's too easy for the traitor, but that the traitor elements are not satisfying, since the optimal behavior isn't subtle 2sneaky5me sabotage over the course of the game, but just curbstomping the colony if they ever get low enough on morale to tank in a single turn (or two turns if the traitor is going last and therefore about to go first).
Battlestar Galactica does the traitor thing better, but it's also more fiddly and generally a bit longer.
>>
File: pic905905.jpg (159KB, 1064x1492px) Image search: [Google]
pic905905.jpg
159KB, 1064x1492px
Recently bought this.
Thoughts?
>>
>>49316209
Might be a good game, except it's literally broken, one side is completely solved. Avoid further information like the plague and you can probably get some fun games in before it's ruined for you.
>>
>>49316669

I was just noticing playing as France is easy peasy if you go for the raid victory. I've only played three games and I'm not sure I've figured everything out yet, but my impression is more indians=more pewpew.

Do you think it's worth modding? I mean, changing paths, nerfing indians and such. Shit's very expensive, I don't like the idea of leaving it on a shelf to rot forever.
>>
anyone take small games with them to restaurants? I've always found the concept weird, but rahdo often mentions it when talking about small games, and I'll be in a situation soon where my only chance to game will be while waiting for food. considering taking citadels or codenames. if I took codenames I'd just take a handful of cards and not all of them obviously
>>
>>49318394
Played Android: Mainframe for two hours at an Arby's once. Got asked to leave.
>>
>>49297708

Bumping for this
>>
>>49318394
I've got a deck box in my car with a few small games that fit in it (Hanabi, Rhino Hero, Love Letter, Resistance at present) every so often I'll crack one out if we're going to be at a bar for the afternoon, as long as you're not disruptive, and you're getting drinks/food worth their time most places are cool with it. Important to keep in mind where you're going to be,and how much table space you'll have, anything that spreads too much can be a problem.

>>49318607
Yeah this is less likely to be cool with management since you're not making them money.
>>
>>49318982
>Yeah this is less likely to be cool with management since you're not making them money.
We bought the damn burgers I don't know what they want. No one else was even there, it was 8:30.
>>
>>49318993
I'm not saying they're right, but it's all about turnover in a lot of restaurants, fast food especially. If you're not buying and eating right that minute, you're not worth any money or space to them.

I usually go to neighborhood spots rather than a chain, which tend to be more lad back, and if it's busy they might still try to hurry you out the door. You're also less likely to be hassled if you buy booze than soft drinks, because the tab keeps growing. That said, a slow day at any restaurant with wait staff will tend to let you get away with more, because the longer they serve you the better tip they're expecting (obviously talking US not EU here).
>>
>>49305578
Have you tried roll for the galaxy? How would you compare the two games?

Do you think i can get casuals into either of the two?
>>
>>49302498
>>49300169

My new list:

Get the good deals now (citadels, fury of dracula, netrunner, mascarade)

Possibly get more (small world, *imagine, vault wars, jaipur, shadow hunters, *tales of the arabian nights, *battlecon: devastation of the indines)

I put a * next to the ones im more inclined towards getting

Does /tg/ approve?
By the way, i havent played any of these games. Not sure if it makes a difference but if for any of these you'd highly recommend try before you buy, let me know!
>>
>>49318394
I've played Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective at upscale restaurants for 3+ hours. I got asked if I could help organize a mystery dinner night there by the management.
>>
>>49316209
As >>49316669 said, there is a 'virtually guaranteed to win' strategy for one side. The game author was informed of it, and never issued a solution / fix for the issue. Which is unfortunate as it's an otherwise very good game.

>>49316781
>Shit's very expensive, I don't like the idea of leaving it on a shelf to rot forever.

As pointed out - get your fun out of it. Explore the game. See if you can devise a solution where the author did not. Once you're done with it - sell it, trade it, or gift it to someone else.
>>
>>49319465
seems like a good plan. fury of dracula should definitely be your first buy if you're sure you're interested in it since it won't be available for long. similarly, if you prefer the old citadels art (and portability) over the new art - https://www.asmodee.us/en/games/citadels/
then you should also pick that up now before they release the new version (and neuter the old version and release it as citadels classic)
>>
File: boardjames3.jpg (142KB, 1261x873px) Image search: [Google]
boardjames3.jpg
142KB, 1261x873px
So I've refined my cart to some of the essentials I want or were suggested by /tg/. I'd like to get one more game to bring it to $200, any ideas?

>light or medium-light
>horror themed is a plus
>solo is a plus but failing that 2+ is a must
>no miniature, worker placement, LCG

I already have Pandemic Cthulhu pre-ordered so it can't be that.

I have already:
>ONUW
>ONUW Daybreak
>Coup
>Coup Retaliation
>Love Letter
>Hanabi
>Sushi Go
>>
>>49319475
Bahahaha shut the hell up!! Thats absolutely absurd, u scoundrel! !
>>
>>49316209
Halifax Hammer
>>
File: 1386715964305.png (221KB, 382x357px) Image search: [Google]
1386715964305.png
221KB, 382x357px
>>49319550

>can't into Eldritch/Arkham Horror so must settle for casual Elder Sign
>>
>>49319465
Those are all pretty nice games. I'd put a star by Jaipur. It's cheap, fast and fun.
>>
>>49318394
>anyone take small games with them to restaurants?

Sure, as long as you're gaming while *waiting for* food, no one is going to care. They get displeased if you're gaming instead of eating - particularly when it's a busy time and they're looking for turn over to make decent money. It's no different that the idiots who spend 10 - 15 minutes photographing their food, posting shit online, and then bitch that it's cold by the time they finally start to eat. I'm surprised more managers / cooks haven't told them to get bent.

> considering taking citadels or codenames. if I took codenames I'd just take a handful of cards and not all of them obviously.

Neither is very big. I don't see why you couldn't take the whole thing. I take Hanabi, Coup, Citadels, and other games like that to public places to game from time to time. Just be sure to sleeve your cards so that they don't get worn out before their time.

>>49319113
>I usually go to neighborhood spots rather than a chain, which tend to be more lad back, and if it's busy they might still try to hurry you out the door. You're also less likely to be hassled if you buy booze than soft drinks, because the tab keeps growing. That said, a slow day at any restaurant with wait staff will tend to let you get away with more, because the longer they serve you the better tip they're expecting (obviously talking US not EU here).

A friend of mine started a monthly Board Gaming 'Meetup' Group that meets up once a month at J.J. Foley's Pub in Boston. He spoke with management and got the OK. It's once a month, on one of their normally slow Tuesday nights. 25 - 40 gamers take over the back area. We ate a lot, drank a lot, and tipped well. The staff were awesome to us and management made better than average profits for an otherwise typically slow night.
>>
>>49319550
Eldritch Horror, son. Good as a solo game, great with others. Not to fiddly and hits the theme right on. Base game is good by itself and the expansions just add more goodness. Do it.
>>
>>49319753

I looked at Arkham Horror and it seems medium-heavy. The video I watched said it takes about an hour to learn and it's not something you can "learn on the job". Is Eldritch Horror a streamlined version?

>>49319660

I like Elder Sign because it's relatively fast. I've played a few rounds at a cafe and generally lasts 30-40min. AH/EH looks like they're 3+ hour games which is a big time investment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely interested in those, but Elder Sign is a good stepping stone in that direction.
>>
>>49319812

I haven't played either but hanging around /bgg/ enough I think Eldritch is a simpler version of Arkham, what with less decks, a modular board, etc.
>>
>>49319550
The best games would probably be stuff like Resistance, or Red 7, since you're only holding onto 1 or 2 cards and neither games are table hogs. I've never really tried playing games at a restaurant, because people would rather just talk and eat.

>>49319386
I've never played Roll, but Race can be a little hard for people to get into since it dumps a lot of keywords (each phase, the difference between windfall/production, and the symbols on cards) onto people. Once you get over that hump I think it's good for casuals.
>>
>>49319550
I'll actually go against the grain and say elder is your best bet. eldritch is a bit simpler and more streamlined than arkham, but it's still more complicated than anything you've played and it's also more than you seem to want. it also helps that you've played elder and you know you enjoy it.

since you've already played it, it might not be a bad idea to go ahead and get the gates of arkham expansion which most people rave about.

also space hulk death angel is a great game for solo play. it's basically aliens the movie. super intense game, and it plays so well solo I've not even bothered playing it with other people, but it does support 6 players.
>>
>>49319966

I was actually thinking of the expansions until I watched a few reviews on them. All of them except the first (Unseen Forces?) seem to replace parts of the game or make other parts irrelevant. One of them removes the Old One entirely, I think it was the Alaska one. Unless Dice Tower is not a reputable source, it just seems so backwards to remove decks for new ones or remove fundamentals of the base game for new mechanics.
>>
For Citadels, do I want the card game or the board game? Are they the same and people just keep using card and board interchangeably?
>>
>>49319993
well I've not played it, so I can't offer too much. all I know is one of the criticisms of elder sign is that it really doesn't do much with the theme, and everyone agrees that gates of arkham changes that completely.

looking into it a bit more on my end, I think I'd retract my statement and suggest holding off on gates until you're sick of the base game. that way you won't feel bad about it being almost a completely different game
>>
>>49319550
oof, those prices. Everything is like $10 more expensive than it would be in the US>>49320007
>>49320007
? as far as I know there's only a card game. I mean there are Faidutti board games with the role selection mechanic, (Mission Red Planet, Lost Temple) but only the one Citadels
>>
>>49320211

I'm in Canada, so MSRP is roughly 1.25x the cost.
>>
File: PhotoGrid_1473739954624.jpg (2MB, 1920x1920px) Image search: [Google]
PhotoGrid_1473739954624.jpg
2MB, 1920x1920px
Is my collection coming along nicely?
Elder Sign should arrive tomorrow afternoon.
>>
>>49320438

>no Jaipur
>>
>>49319541
>>49300233
To be honest i was considering it just because its expected to skyrocket in price.

The game looks alright but not particularly great, as far as hidden movement games go it seems to be the better of the ones i know. But all in all i dont honestly know if ill like it. Figure that i could get it and if its not a good fit i can always make some money off it.

Anybody actually play the game? Whats your opinion on it? Is it fun? Is the game very heavy?

Ive seen some review/how to play videos, but just cant tell if id enjoy it. And from what ive seen it doesnt look too complicated although its generally been said to be filled with tons of rules n stuff.
>>
>>49320438
Might want to get something with a little more meat on its bones before your players all starve.
>>
>>49318394
I game at restaurants more often than I've gamed at our FLGS, biggest game being Fury of Dracula. There are certain restaurants here that replace bars and open until 3AM for soccer matches and stuff, so they're less inclined to ask people to leave. On the flip side it's definitely a lot messier though, and if you're not careful your games will get wrecked, which is why I now mostly bring small box games instead the bigger ones.
>>
File: salute.png (12KB, 805x1001px) Image search: [Google]
salute.png
12KB, 805x1001px
>>49320438
>Jamaica.
I just got that myself.
>>
>>49320438
>Colt Express
Have always wanted to play this one but have never gotten the chance, what do you enjoy about it?
>>
File: TI.jpg (43KB, 590x250px) Image search: [Google]
TI.jpg
43KB, 590x250px
Can I get any input or recommendations on:
>Colossal Arean/Titan
>Arcana Revised Edition
>Twilight Imperium 3
>>
>>49319993
I've got a friend with all the expansions for Elder Sign, and we've played through them so I can offer you some hot opinions if you like.

Unseen Forces adds more of everything found in the base game, along with the standard "blessed" and "cursed" status from other Arkham games (in this case represented by two new die). It also adds some new entrance stuff and an extra hard mythos deck you can add in for extra challenge. Overall it doesn't change much and adds a lot of content.

Gates of Arkham changes the game in that you are no longer confined to the museum, but instead can wander around town. This expansion is generally considered the best due to the town mode being more fun that the museum mode. It also adds two new "clubs" you can gain membership too, which can make certain things easier or harder depending which adds a bit more strategy to your games. Overall probably the best value for money expansion.

Omens of Ice takes the base game and throws it out the window. The only things it doesn't replace are the Other World cards, investigators, old ones, and monsters. It's more complex and involved than either the base game or Gates of Arkham, and I'm not sure it's a good thing as the game time tends to drag out a lot as a result. It's also a lot harder and more punishing than it's predecessors, especially if you play with the new old ones it introduces. Overall I think it's ok, but definitely prefer Gates.

All of them add in more investigators, old ones and monsters, my friend can barely fit everything into the base game box now. Also I just checked the website and there is another expansion we don't have which appears to add some extra decks to increase the challenge of any of the above. Seems unnecessary for all but the most die hard collector.
>>
>>49320457
>>49303446
>>49319693

do you get a boner everytime you see that game?
>>
>>49321938
>Twilight Imperium 3
The godfather of 4X board games. Worth a play at least once in your life. If you can get the 10+ hours and the players on a regular schedule, it's absolutely worth picking up.
>>
>>49321952
Haha i like u anon
>>
Friendly reminder that the Barnes and Noble Clearance sale for Fall started today, you can find some good stuff or nothing at all. Got Harbour for $10 last clearance, but they might put stuff like Pandemic/Five Tribes/Forbidden Island there too
>>
>>49322724
I also like you, anon

Thanks for the reminder c:
>>
>>49322724
>>49322797
Make sure you go early and post what and where you find it, you can also look up shit on the website. Just search for the game, click on it, click available for pickup in store, enter your zipcode, and you can see where it is in stock and the price in store nearby. Found a copy of Imperial Assault ima pick up tomorrow for $50 and a copy of Castles of Mad King Ludwig for $30.
>>
are ryan laukat's games actually good, or do people just cream themselves over them because they like the art?
>>
>>49324198
They're more about the story than the actual gameplay.
>>
>>49281860
We run a monthly boars game group. It got really popular. Like 40+ people come. We ask them to donate to the club if they wish, entirely optional, and then buy games with the money for the club. We usually make about 50 or so.

But obviously we keep them all at our house for ourselves.
>>
>>49281860
If you don't mind your games looking ugly, Print and play. Almost any game can be PnP if you try hard enough.
You can print and play Battlecon (not the entirety of it), Love Letter, Resistance, UNOW, Tragedy Looper, and Codenames (again, not the entirety of it) with about 2 hour's work. You just have to be creative and cull a game down to its' bare necessities.
>>
>>49282481
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Patchwork

There's another Ewe Rosenberg small-box two-player game called "Fields of Arle" which, from what I've heard, is pretty good.
>>
>>49283029
Regular 7 Wonders played with only two-players is okay but a little bit awkward. I recommend trying it out.

Basically, each player takes turns sort of playing a "third" player. On one hand it's interesting since you can do some second-level strategery through the third player. On the other hand, it's basically saying that the game should've just said "for 3-7 players".
>>
I'm going to a convention this week. Conventions over here have a prominent culture of playing borrowed board games from a fairly vast catalogue. I'm pretty new to boardgaming. Got heavily into Sheriff of Nottingham the last time I was on a con. Got any games that I should keep a look out for?
>>
>>49321372
Unfortunately, most of my gaming group likes "easy and fast" games and won't even try more complicated ones :(
>>
>>49321728
It's easy to learn, the theme is nice, the fact that you use a 3D board is a nice touch.

And I love the outbursts that happen when a hidden card wrecks completely the strategy that someone had and send them to the marshall, or make their planned actions have no sense at all so they have to rethink what to do entirely
>>
>>49322173
>10+ Hours
TI3 shouldn't ever take this long. I mean, if you're playing with eight people it WILL. But don't do that.
>>
File: Snakes_and_Ladders[1].jpg (3MB, 1627x1957px) Image search: [Google]
Snakes_and_Ladders[1].jpg
3MB, 1627x1957px
I'm in need of some advice:

I'm going to be running a board game club for some kids (aged between 11 and 16) and I'm looking for some games that won't
a) bore the shit out of them (or me, for that fact)
b) confuse the shit out of them
c) last about 40 minutes per game

It can be card game or a board game of any kind (as long as it's age appropriate), I just need help finding something good. They're not babies so I don't want to give them snakes and ladders or some shit, and a lot of them are autistic and will grasp rules intended for slightly older kids.
>>
>>49325060
Make a list of games that you want to get, and try to play all of them. It will save you money by determining which ones you want to keep onn playing and buying a copy of.
>>
>>49326026
When I was one of those kids 6 years ago, I remember some of my favorite games being Dominion and Carcassone. What kinds of games do you have in your collection, or are you looking to buy new ones? Looking back on it we would kind of just play anything our teacher had, from fluxx to munchkin to dominion to the huge game called Titan. Titan took forever to set up and we never got more than a couple turns in, but it was fun because it was so vast and ridiculous. This is to say, kids will play almost anything at least once, and once they start coming back to the same stuff you'll know what they like. For lower level stuff I would reccomend Sushi Go!/7 Wonders, Love Letter, Loot, and Fluxx. For larger games, Lords of Waterdeep and Istanbul both play pretty quick and are easy to understand but are a little bigger games. For two player games you can try the Duke and Onitama.
>>
>>49326335
Awesome, I will check those out thanks. I currently have nothing, but have a few friends who might be willing to donate old stuff and there are apparently a few games at the club already, though I'm yet to find them.

This will give me a good idea of what to look out for
>>
>>49321938
>>Twilight Imperium 3

This game falls squarely in both the 'Space 4x' and 'Grand Strategy' categories. If you're not familiar with Space 4x - that = eXplore, eXpand, eXploit (resources) and eXterminate (other players). However TI3 is not your typical 'Space 4X' game - it has a highly developed objectives system and lots of political options. In fact new players often lose because they concentrate to much on military and technology and fail to score their objectives.

Pros:
Lots of different alien races
Lots of objectives and options
Well developed politics system
Expansions add new options and fix some issues with base game.
Game has tons of replayability without becoming 'samey' feeling.

Cons:
Base Game + Expansions can be $$$
Games can take 4 - 6 hours+ depending on number of players and their experience levels. (The super long game horror stories are usually examples of to many players with to little rules knowledge.)
Some of the action cards among the core set and expansions combine to give a better game, but new players won't know this right away.

If you do end up snagging TI3 - post here and let us know. Several of us have links to lots of game aids to help new players, map suggestions, etc.
>>
>>49326400
Don't forget to throw some of the more adventure oriented stuff too, though I can't think of many rules-light Ameritrash stuff. Flashpoint probably?
>>
>>49326400
>>49326753 is right, you could try introducing that sort of stuff once they learn other stuff, but those sorts of thematic games are usually longer with more rules. However, if the kids are the type to get into it, its totally worth it.
>>
>>49326817
I'm forever thankful that my group started because I brought Puerto Rico and Brass to poker night.
>>
>>49322724
>>49322981
Barnes and Noble Clearance is live today everyone! Hit one on the way home from work and see what you can find!
>>
Anybody own Castles of mad king ludwig? Is it worth getting? What are the pros and cons?
>>
>>49325594
How long with 3/4?
>>
>>49328880
1-1.5 hours per player, and I try to keep it to five players or less. Once you get to 6+ players, you're adding more downtime between everyone's turns without making the game much more interesting for any given player. On a six player map you're not going to get much interaction with the one or two other players most isolated from you. Some slight interaction via politics maybe, but you mostly just won't matter to each other, you'll all be too preoccupied with your neighbors. At 3-5, you can be preoccupied with everyone. Shorter games, smaller galaxies, game just works better.
>>
>>49328880
About an hour per player, if everyone knows what they're doing and no one gets crippling analysis paralysis.
>>
>>49327415
Absolutely jack shit at my store today, the closest thing resembling a board game was Munchkin Pathfinder, but good hunting to the rest of you anons.
>>
>>49328880
Last I played we had 4 players and played it for 4 hours, including set up and I had only played once for many many years ago befor that.
>>
File: tumblr_o4vd40forn1smbeepo7_1280.png (671KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o4vd40forn1smbeepo7_1280.png
671KB, 1000x1000px
Guys, is there any game like Darkest Dungeon or Mordheim (inb4 Mordheim)...
Something that make you face desperate situation, maybe something backstabby....

I already have battlestar galactica and arkham horror.
something under 50 bucks?
>>
>>49329462
Cutthroat Caverns, though you might need to turn up the difficulty to get it really desperate.
>>
>>49329290
I have heard that not all the clearance items are in the clearance bins, if you see something you really want ask them for a price check
>>
>>49329746
Getting to my store is a 40min drive to the opposite side of the city, I'll check in on it a couple times in the next week or two, but my experience is the sale is much better everywhere that isn't my town.
>>
>>49325449
I know the feeling. Lately one of my friends who used to be part of my boardgame groups said he now refuses to play any game that takes an hour or more. It's seriously limiting the games we can play and I hate to say it because he's one of my oldest friends, but I have to start just flat out excluding him from gamenight if I want to play anything short of a dumb party game.
>>
Seen a couple of mentions of Space Hulk Death Angel in these threads, is it worth picking up? I've played the main game in table and vidya form, how does it compare for tension and atmosphere?
>>
>>49330732
I'll do 2 hours specially for new games ane euros but I sure wont do any more TI3 or Game of Thrones, except maybe with my closest friends that I know wont bog down the game play and that's when we plan befor hand to only play that game, which is rare.

I wont touch BSG or Spartacus, there's no point, games that are beter that do more in a fraction of the time.
>>
>>49331551
>Spartacus
BSG I get, but Spartacus is stupid easy to customize the length of.
>>
>>49329462
space hulk death angel definitely has the feeling of despair, is ~$15, but doesn't really have the backstabbing. if you play multiplayer (it's best solo desu) and follow the official rules, you have to make your decisions in secret, so you will end up fucking each other over a bit, but it's not in your best interest to do so
>>
>>49331588
from what I recall from playing it once a year or so ago, isn't there an explicit rule to do so? Like, "play to this many points" or something like that?
>>
>>49330810
should have kept reading the thread before making my most recent post

I've never played the full board game or the video game (although I looked into ascension quite a bit), just death angel. it's without a doubt the most atmospheric game I've played (still relatively new to modern board games, played under 20 different games) and the tensions level is just a bit lower than playing a good shmup.

within a few turns you feel like there's no hope for your space marines, so it's absolutely amazing when you eke out a win, even if you only have one or two men left. the game is heavily luck based considering you roll a die to determine if your attack hits, and you also roll that die to determine if the aliens kill you, but if you properly prepare there are ways to reroll. it's without a doubt one of my favorite games, and I'd recommend picking it up before it disappears. the expansions are already stupidly expensive to buy, but the base game is very reasonable

if you're interested, the two most impressive mechanics to me are the way the swarms of aliens work and how they attack. aliens have no attack value, they just have a symbol telling you what type they are. each turn when you draw an event card, it'll have a symbol on it. any pile with an alien matching that symbol moves to the next spot. this often puts aliens in flanking positions, which is really bad for your marines

and for them attacking you roll a die. it's 0-5, and all you have to do is roll higher than the number of aliens in the attacking pile. if you don't, it's one hit and your marine is dead. if a marine dies, the "board' shrinks and piles can merge creating a behemoth of an enemy. it's fantastic. I don't even mind when I've made it to the end, have all my marines left, and lose within 2 turns to bad die rolls
>>
Is Terra Mystica a meme game or is it legit good? Kinda confused by what I've seen posted around, in contrast to all the praise it got from reviewers...
>>
>>49332160
Yeah, you can freely adjust both the victory and starting VP to whatever the hell you want. A two-point game can actually be both pretty fun and very quick. Better if you adjust the deck to remove the +1vp schemes that will be immediately playable without loaned influence.
>>
>>49332486
It's like Caverna/TS/Le Havre/TtA/TI3, the people who are interested in it are the ones who play it, and post rave reviews on places like BGG. There's a lot more gamers out there though; who will see it, know it's too heavy/long/whatever, not their cup of tea and not even bother playing. If they're dragged into a game, they'll shit on it, because it's prolly something they shouldn't have played to begin with.
>>
>>49332613
Makes sense. From what I've seen it looks like me and my friends might enjoy it, just wanted to make sure the bad rap wasn't justified before shelling out the cash.
>>
>>49332694
I'd still test it out before dropping that much coin, just because it's a heavy game (and I mean physically, gameplay, and cost), but yeah if you're into really crunchy euros, it's damn great.
>>
OK friends, happy day, happy day indeed!

I pulled the trigger on these orders:

new from minimarket:
>Battlecon: Devastation of the Indines
>Jaipur
>Tales of the Arabian Nights

new from amazon:
>For Sale
>Imagine

used from bgg:
>Android: Netrunner (with the "what lies ahead" and "trace amount" data packs)
>Citadels
>Mascarade

total came out to $209

I almost got vault wars as well but figured eh maybe next time...

Did I do good, friends?

I think this is gonna be my last haul for a long while; I have 14 games currently and I've played 8 of them bhahahaha
I just got into the hobby around the start of summer. the only thing I can hope for now is people to play heavier games with me lol the only people i can get together with are always so impatient!!! They keep saying "can we just play already" before even learning the basics... like even simple shit like libertalia, they couldn't wait 5 minutes to get through the rules =-=

Anyways, im excited for my new games coming in :) I also have carcassonne on the way from a previous order that lagged
oh oh also, im printing spyfall and good cop bad cop soon, once i can get my hands on a printer mwuhahahaha!
>>
>>49332947
>jaipur
well you just made someone in this thread extremely happy.
>>
>>49333105
kek'd audibly
>>
>>49281400
>>49281126
There will definitely be a few SW/LotR/Cthulhu bashes of things that *were* GW-setting products but they'll also really want to build up the presentation of lore for their upcoming wargame.

Expect more stuff in the Runebound setting, probably including an RPG.

>>49281656
Between the RPG and Imperial Assault, I really doubt they won't sign another agreement. Fantasy Flight has handled Star Wars quite well so far.
>>
>>49332947
>For Sale
>giving EGG your money
You did okay anon, but you should've gotten the French edition from Iello shipping in from Canadaland
>>
>>49329930
Follow up on this, the BGG thread pointed out if you look up the games listed as clearanced nationwide and then check store pickup in your zip code it'll price check it for you online. Turns out I walked away from 1/2 off Specter Ops, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, and Camel Up today thinking my store had nothing again.
>>
>>49333454
im afraid that i dont understand...

educate me please? whats the meaning of this?
>>
>>49333442
>Between the RPG and Imperial Assault...
Oh right--not to mention Armada and X-Wing.
>>
>>49333518
Eagle Gryphon is one of those publishers that straddles the line between harmless and total assholes, and their quality is slipping in the last few years on a lot of reprints. Their For Sale edition actually is still pretty solid, but the art is a bit dated (it's from the Uplay edition 5 years before they got the license), and the box is way bigger than it needs to be for the game, not Splendor big, but more than you need for 60 cards and some fake coins. The Iello edition is in one of those 5" square boxes, better cardstock, and amazing art, only downside is the coins are smaller than dimes and I have to obsessively count them each time the game gets boxed up. Still it's a pain to get and it's not like the fiasco EGG had with TtA or Tumblin Dice.

Honestly I can't fault you that much, when I saw the price + shipping on BoadGameBliss to get a copy I nearly bit on EGG too, lucky I had friends going overseas willing to grab a copy and bring it back for me. I will say if you're looking at Incan Gold/Diamant you really want to hold off on that one, as the components are much better in the Iello edition that just dropped. Might have to work out a deal with Minifig on the UK edition if I can just find a good copy of Corto around again.
>>
>>49333518
Eagle Gryphon Games, the american publisher has quite a few detractors, don't know exactly why.

>>49333557
Yeah, fat cash cow is probably part of why FFG and GW broke up.
>>
>>49332741
Is it really heavy? When I first looked into it I got turned off because the mechanics looked a little bit too simple to be interesting for long.
>>
>>49333638
>only downside is the coins are smaller than dimes and I have to obsessively count them each time the game gets boxed up
Just toss the coins and use pennies.
>>
>>49333713
It's one of those emergent complexity games, like TS and such.
>>
File: 20160913_211011.jpg (876KB, 2124x1412px) Image search: [Google]
20160913_211011.jpg
876KB, 2124x1412px
How'd I do? Barnes and Nobles had 2 more copies of Fury of Dracula but I'm repressing my inner jew for now.
>>
>>49334057
This is always my first instinct, but every time I've played someone's prototype that used pennies it just soured the experience for me, plus it's a game where you want to hide how much money you've got left so smaller coins is nice.

>>49334093
I'd tell you to embrace that jew and go back, but I can't be sure you're not in my town and I want to grab a couple myself.
>>
>>49334093
>ever repressing the inner jew
That's what the Jews want you to do.
>>
>>49334166
>>49334167
Biggest problem is that it's $60, and currently copies on ebay are selling for $80-ish. I'd lose money on shipping. Otherwise I would've bought all 3 and resold them by now
>>
>>49334227
Give it a few years, that price tag is going places.
>>
>>49334227
>I'd lose money on shipping.
Right now. Wait tell that shit goes OOP. Yah gotta think long-term if you wanna play the Jew game.
>>
>>49334268
But what's stopping FFG from just re-theming /re-naming it? Do they even need to, outside the name? Dracula is public domain. What's stopping GW from reprinting it? This whole issue is a bit muddy.
>>
>>49334071
Ok, I see. I'll have to look at it a little more closely. I do enjoy Twilight Struggle.
>>
>>49334314
>What's stopping GW from reprinting it?
FFG came up with a lot of the mechanics
>>What's stopping FFG from reprinting it?
GW came up with the concept.
>>
>>49334314
Both companies are fairly litigious, is what's going to stop them.
FFG might print a retheming in a few years, when they're not trying to push Whitechapel expansions.
>>
>>49322724
This sale is pretty disappointing tbqh senpai. Mostly garbage, mass market 'family' games with a couple /bgg/ tier games. Specter Ops and Five Tribes were the only really worthwhile games at my store (but I already have both of them). Picked up Balderdash for $10 because it's good to play with normies.
>>
>>49326335
>not mentioning King of Tokyo

Shamefur dispray
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 196x181px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 196x181px
>>49333105
Nice job anon. Good haul.
>>
>>49330732
Never be afraid to not bring a friend over for game night, just invite them in advance then tell them you're playing a 1-2+ hour game and ask if they still want to come. If they don't, all is well, enjoy your game. If they do, then whenever they complain about the game being too long you could just say 'that's why I told you in advance, to see if you'd want to back out'.
>>
>>49334268
>>49334227
Seems like you guys have some experience in game price jumps.

What amount of shekels are we talking about?
I checked my local game stores and I can get them for about 50$.
But even if they get more expensive, it takes year? two? three? And how much can it get?
>>
>>49335102
well the game will disappear by february, and if second edition is anything to go by it will likely jump up to $100-150
>>
>>49335102
>>49335157
Mostly what anon said, but keep in mind 2nd ed was 05, went OOP in 11(?), 3rd ed came out late 15. Prices were anywhere from 80-200 depending on condition, so you might get triple your money back for a new in shrink copy, but it might take a couple years to get that much; and there might be other hidden movements that come out and are better in the meantime.
>>
Is legendary good for 2 players?
>>
>>49335879
I personally think most deckbuilders work best with two players, especially the bigger heavier ones like Thunderstone and Legendary. With four players it can be a long while until it's your turn again, but with just two players it's easy to stay engaged.
>>
I'm a retard, if I wanna get battlecon which one is the base set so I don't fuck up
>>
>>49336435
War Remastered or Devastation. If you've never played it and aren't too sure if you'll like it, get War or PnP it since it's literally like 8 general use cards and 7 cards per character.
Devastation has more than triple the content of War, I think. But it costs a lot.
>>
Alright went to half of the Barnes and Nobles in the greater Seattle area, hitting outliers tomorrow. Alderwood has a decent selection of X-Wing miniatures at half off, Crossroads mall location in Bellevue has more to offer. Woodinville and downtown seattle and bellevue have jack shit. Didn't find any other board games unfortunately.
>>
>>49329482
>you might need to turn up the difficulty to get it really desperate.
Make everyone start with 75 HP is a good fix. 100 is just too fucking much for CC.
>>
anyone else incredibly indecisive? I find a game that looks neat, look into it a bit and confirm what I thought and get super hyped, then sit on it a while since I can't spend that kind of money right away, then when I have the money I look into it a bit more just to be sure before I buy it and I end up thinking it's not the right game for me after all. this happens all the time. I know if I got the games I'd most likely enjoy them, and I'm usually looking at the same content that got me hyped up just a few weeks/months prior
>>
>>49339694

There is not a place in your city where you can try games? Where I live there are some places where you can have a beer, take a game from the shelf and just play it with your friends before actually buying it.
>>
>>49339694
You have managed to cultivate a valuable trait, don't waste it. You're simply postponing giving into the cult of the new and the rush to buy "ohh shinies" until it's worn off and you've rightly realised that it's pretty average and not worth your money. Nothing wrong with refining things down until in future you know exactly what you want and you'll still be interested in it no matter how long it takes.
>>
I'd love to get into some Warhammer Fantasy war game/board game that's not Sigmar - is there anything left? Diskwars is getting abandoned so I'm never getting my Skaven army.
>>
>>49340624
Chaos in the old world?
>>
>>49334093
was FoD red dotted? If it was your B&N fucked up big time and you got insanely lucky
>>
>>49340781
What does red dotted mean?
>>
>>49281126
I panic-bought Warhammer Quest expansions, Fury of Dracula, Death Angel and Diskwars. Already had everything else.

I'm considering getting Talisman, just based on how much of a 'classic' it is.
>>
>>49340836
Marked for 50% off clearance. Specter Ops and Castles are both supposed to be on clearance right now, Fury of Dracula is supposed to be full price
>>
>>49340859
You sound like you have more dollars than sense
>>
>>49340871
I'm just that sensible.
>>
>>49293099

Secondng Battlecon, it's great fun. Devastation is very much worth the money, but Fate and War are cheaper to jump into. There's also a print and play available to try out.
>>
>>49332360
Thanks Anon. Went ahead and ordered it.
>>
>>49339990
nope, and the "local" game store an hour away is almost entirely focused on magic. they have one night a week where you can try out the few dozen board games they offer, but it's in the middle of the week when I'm never there

>>49340021
yeah, I guess it is better than having the opposite problem. the only problem is it's not just the new flashy stuff that I'm second guessing. I was close to pulling the trigger on castles of burgundy, but I rewatched a video that had previously sold me on it and this time I came to the conclusion that I'd (or maybe my playgroup, maybe I'm just taking them into consideration) not like it.
>>
>>49340781
Nah, just happened to get it at the same time.
If it was red dotted then I would've bought all 3
>>
>>49340859
>I'm considering getting Talisman, just based on how much of a 'classic' it is.

Talisman is the 'Monopoly' of adventure gaming - Random Movement rolls, Random encounters (or only a choice between two if both locations already have encounter cards), etc. It can run overly long with more than 3 or 4 players, and depending on the game options used - the leader can randomly be killed by the end game. It isn't great by today's standards.

It's a classic 'Beer & Pretzels' / 'Shits & Giggles' style 80's / early 90s board game. If you aren't expecting any more than that from it you won't be disappointed.
>>
No. The only one I might want is Forbidden Stars, but I'd rather blow that money on P500 stuff.

I'm a little bit on the fence on Space Hulk, but I've not really looked into it much and GMT Games have some pretty stellar dice-fest solo games as well, mainly thinking of the WWII submarine series.

I'd assume FFG will try to find some IP to continue the Starcraft/Forbidden Stars type of game, though I've no idea in which one. Don't really know or care much about the other FFG/GW games that are disappearing.

>>49341872
>It's a classic 'Beer & Pretzels' / 'Shits & Giggles' style 80's / early 90s board game.
Very much this. Our group played it once and decided if we ever play it again we'd need more alcohol then what we had on hand the first time.
>>
>>49329462
shameless selfbump
>>
Why the fuck is the deluxe/party version of Sushi Go so difficult to find in the UK?
>>
>>49345641

Shire games still has it in case you're looking.
It's still not even accessible here in Scandinavia yet, but many stores are ordering it.
>>
>>49345848
Is it not released here yet or something?
>>
>>49281860
Not giving advice on how to make money because the answer's obvious, but gonna give advice on how to save.

Look for online versions of games. There are a few games like Spyfall and Codenames that you can play with your friends irl using an online implementation (hopefully you and your friends have smartphones). If you don't care that much about playing games irl, there are also sites like Board Game Arena where you can play things for free.

Squeeze other games out of games that you already have: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/152524/if-you-own-you-also-own

Also make use of card game systems. You can play Coup and The Resistance with a deck of poker cards and a makeshift reference written on a piece of paper, but if you buy decks with more suits/ranks you can play a bunch of other games, like Lost Cities or Battle Line.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/1907/games-playable-rage-deck-not-ccg-please-add/page/1?
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/174857/games-you-can-play-badger-deck/page/1?
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/187686/swiss-army-deck

I recommend the Rage deck, since it's like $6 on Amazon. I use the Badger deck, since it gives more options, but it's also pretty pricey.
>>
>>49346617

Seems like it's currently between print runs.
I guess they didn't expect it to so popular right away,
>>
>>49346832
What should I do with heavier games such as miniature games and LCGs/ECGs?
just kidding. I understand. is a shame some of my favorite games do not have an online platform to play with. for the rest I think I can use TTS (I believe)
>>
>>49349941
>What should I do with heavier games such as miniature games and LCGs/ECGs?

Based chinaman for minis.
Proxies for CCGs.
You won't be able to enter a tournament, but hey, cheap stuff, huh?
>>
>>49349941
https://www.amazon.com/TimMee-PLASTIC-ARMY-MEN-Soldier/dp/B005LDBCC6

Not sure how thematic/distinct you need them to be but here's a solution for IRL minis game piracy.
>>
Good night sweet prince
>>
File: 1440914582778.gif (912KB, 240x176px) Image search: [Google]
1440914582778.gif
912KB, 240x176px
>that one game your girlfriend or wife insists you put on your shelf despite it being a shitty game

What's her name?
>>
File: catacombs.png (34KB, 726x446px) Image search: [Google]
catacombs.png
34KB, 726x446px
man, fucking jews
>>
>>49351420
Catan.
>>
File: 1468911144434.jpg (51KB, 536x720px) Image search: [Google]
1468911144434.jpg
51KB, 536x720px
>>49351420

I have a pretty small shelf. Can you guess which game is hers?

>Jaipur
>Betrayal at House on the Hill
>Elder Sign
>Elder Sign - Gates of Arkham
>Eldritch Horror
>Coup
>Coup Retaliation
>Hanabi
>Sushi Go Party
>One Night Ultimate Werewolf
>One Night Ultimate Werewolf - Daybreak
>One Night Ultimate Vampire
>Love Letter
>Forbidden Desert
>Concept
>Mascarade
>Mascarade Expansion
>>
>>49351420
Jaipur.
>>
>>49351481
Sushi Go?
>>
>>49351514

Coup, actually.
>>
>>49351530
Huh, thought the cutesy art might have been "it". Also Coup, I figured getting an expansion was more of the gamer's thing to do.
>>
>>49351611

She actually got me into boardgames. We played Coup and I was hooked.
>>
Just FYI to my fellow Canadians, Betrayal at House on the Hill is on sale at Book Depository's Amazon store for over half off.
>>
>>49351426
:(

I wanted this game so badly but no way in hell im paying 140 or whatever the fuck its at nowadays =-=

rip
>>
>>49351611
That's OK anon, I looked at that list and incorrectly guessed 'Love Letter' myself. Heh!
>>
>>49351481
No, absolutely not.
>>
>>49352103
$70 on the geek market.
>>
>>49351481
>>49351493
>he mentioned Jaipur
and somewhere in the world anon got an erection, though he didn't know why...
>>
>>49351420
My wife threw out my old copy of munchkin, donated killer bunnies to charity, and laughs when people ask if we have a copy of catan.

But she makes me play pinochle with her family.
>>
>>49352871
>>49352871
>>49352871
>>49352871
new
>>
>>49352870
>My wife threw out my old copy of munchkin, donated killer bunnies to charity, and laughs when people ask if we have a copy of catan.
Your wife is hardcore.
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.