[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WIP - Painting/Sculpting/Converting General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 337
Thread images: 94

File: space_marine_painting_johnny.jpg (314KB, 736x846px) Image search: [Google]
space_marine_painting_johnny.jpg
314KB, 736x846px
Work In Progress thread - "not waiting until page 11" edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
https://mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
https://mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
https://mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
https://mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
http://www.miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
http://pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>In the face of death, I shall have no remorse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw

>Previous Thread
>>49231561
>>
File: chaos knight.jpg (84KB, 800x945px) Image search: [Google]
chaos knight.jpg
84KB, 800x945px
>>49269910

I've just got the Renegade box set which has 2 Knight Titans. Them coupled with my Cerastus Lancer and a whole lot of infantry are going to make up my traitor Imperial Guard army.
They're going to be followers of Tzeentch. I need a color scheme and conversion ideas.
I'm already planning on sculpting lots and lots (and lots) of feathers.

Any other ideas, /tg/?

Pic related is not mine, I just googled "tzeentch titan" and came up with that.
>>
File: image.jpg (63KB, 640x479px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63KB, 640x479px
>>49270144

pls respond
>>
>>49270496
>how to palette? I know there's something people do to get a wet, re-usable palette.

Follow this lad's advice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM
>>
to the guy getting himself a cutting mat. I got one when i ordered my tools from gntools.uk the pricing was very fair on both the tools and mat but when i got it I realized it wasnt self healing
or if it is, its not able to 'heal' like the better ones are. Make sure you're getting an actual self healing one. xacto being a great brand. the clear ones arent worth shit dont bother with them.
that being said the mat works fine and $40 for a mat, a full tool set (2 drills, a set of small drill bits, 6 pairs of tweezers, snips, sculpting tools, and 4 files) as well as shipping was a hell of a deal.
>>
>>49270496
>If I use super glue thin to put them onto the base, then paint them, can I pop them off the base and scrape off the glue residue and then re-attatch them later when the base is done?
You could.
It's easier to just put a pin into the feet of the mini and stick that into a cork, hand drill or what have you.
You'll need it anyway to pin the models to the new bases afterwards if you already covered the surface of the base with something else.
>>
File: IMG_20160910_245823815.jpg (4MB, 2952x5248px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160910_245823815.jpg
4MB, 2952x5248px
>>49270496
> Basing, I want to paint my models then put them onto a base which I made, but I don't want to put them onto a base before I paint it. If I use super glue thin to put them onto the base, then paint them, can I pop them off the base and scrape off the glue residue and then re-attatch them later when the base is done?

Don't pop them off or anything. Drill holes in the base and the model and do something like pic related, Use clipped paper clips as the metal rods in the bottom of the model. Slide the rods into the base holes and glue it on the bottom when you're done painting both the model and base.
>>
File: IMG_0512.jpg (670KB, 1400x3107px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0512.jpg
670KB, 1400x3107px
One anon commented that my paint style is a bit muddy, I'm inclined to agree. I think I got impatient and slapped on too many layers at once for this guy.

I think if I slow down and do more even layers it'll look much better, not using 5 year old paints will probably also help. But fuck it I have 5 more of these guys to finish.
>>
>>49270770

I like it, a unit of these guys will definitely look awesome and epic on the tabletop.
>>
File: DGbikes05.jpg (2MB, 2000x2069px) Image search: [Google]
DGbikes05.jpg
2MB, 2000x2069px
>>49269910
Reposting my stuff from least thread because it took me two damn month to finish seven minis.

>>49270496
Can't help you with the palette, but if you want to seperate base and model, the best way to do that is by drilling and pinning them. So you can see where the model will be once it's finished and you can also put the model onto another pin for easyier handling while painting it. Added benifit is that it wont break off just like that once you're done and glued it to the base/pin. I'd never recommend using super glue to fix something temporarily, the residue is just too thick and there's always a chance that you'll break something.

>>49270770
The last layer of white in the juggie seems a bit to bright/blunt and really stands out. You could go back and change that to a smoother look, that would probably help. Also the skin on the guy's head looks like it could use some highlights, it looks somewhat flat. These are nitpicks, mind you, your model looks really fucking good.
>>
File: DGmorsus05.jpg (2MB, 4160x1688px) Image search: [Google]
DGmorsus05.jpg
2MB, 4160x1688px
>>49271510
And the lord to go with that unit. Ready to kick blue butt at the end of the month.

First time modeling fire, kinda happy how it worked out in the end, although it's really hard to create good looking flames with green stuff.
>>
>>49271510

>2 months
>7 minis

Thats not to bad. Thats about 8,9 days a miniature, and lets say you put a few hours in every other day if you can.
Good job though, I'm not a big fan of the nurgle theme, but I like the bolters and the bases, especially the one with the face on.
>>
>>49269817
>>49269858
Thanks for the advice, anons.
Mostly I'm interested in doing this as a hobby. I enjoy the building/painting aspect of the game, but not much interesting in owning army after army. If I can sell what I make for at least a bit more than I spent on the models then I'd be golden.
>>
>>49271510
>two damn month to finish seven minis
Stop bragging, not all of us can paint that fast
>>
I've been keeping up with fantasy and 40k but haven't bought models for a long time. Out of the few boxes I've bought I've never fully painted them, except for a space marine squad. They looked decent enough for people outside of the hobby, but I was straight painting them without any techniques or equipment other than a brush.

I'm about to get a job where I can finally afford the hobby. So my question...

How many hours/army sets did it take for you all to become good miniature painters?
Am I going to blow through a lot of miniatures, or if I follow the right techniques and have the right tools will I slowly but surely produce decently painted armies?
>>
File: whys.png (424KB, 390x421px) Image search: [Google]
whys.png
424KB, 390x421px
>>49272374
OK ITS TIME YOU STARTED WATCHING SAINT DUNCAN.

I only just got a job and it took me like. 140 little guardsmen. 30 odd Marines, 10 necrons and 5 Nobs. Plus Two chimeras and a leman russ. To finally find my Painting style.
It drastically improved the moment i watched the How to paint guide videos.
Holy shit
so many things i had never thought to do. and it drastically improved how everything looked.
>>
File: 1473493283317-400920653.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1473493283317-400920653.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
I managed to add some more guns to my techmarine.
>>
Anyone seen any good coversions for this guy?

Rather ironically, I don't really think the flayed-flesh look that he and Astorath's armors have will go too well with my rather spartan Flesh Tearers.

He also has a flame motif on his other side, which never ceases to make me think of those black shirts with the flames at the bottom.

How hard do you think it would be to green-stuff over and/or shave off these details?
>>
>>49272465
Why not just get a different chaplain model? There are several good ones, and you can always use a Legion of the Damned sergeant as well.
Or do you already have the model?
>>
>>49272465

Has he got a little painted on mustache?
>>
>>49272717
I was going to get the new Death Company box and he comes in it, see pic.

The box saves me around $43.25 US, and I can always use another Chaplain to go along with Lemartes.

And the Finecast one with the Jump Pack.

And the Chaplain from Calth.

And the ~2 other proxy Chaplains I have.

Besides, I can use the extra Death Company; I only have around 35 right now.

I mainly just want another Death Company Dreadnought to keep Cassor from getting lonely.

>>49272771
Of course he does; it's painted on with blood.
>>
BLOODSTACHE FOR THE BLOOD GOD
>>
File: 693054_md-Green Tide, Orks.jpg (99KB, 800x597px) Image search: [Google]
693054_md-Green Tide, Orks.jpg
99KB, 800x597px
Is it acceptable to have less detail on horde models?

Ive got 300 boyz to paint and im considering just doing 3 colors and a dip
>>
>>49273337
They're your models, it's acceptable to do whatever you want to them. But keeping it 3 colors and a dip will probably help you retain your sanity.
>>
>>49272862

Reminds me of this thread where this single mom brought home a /b/-tard and they fucked on her daughter's bed for some reason. She was on her period and didn't tell him, so he Hitler-stached the daughter's teddy bear with his bloody dick.
>>
>>49273337

Eh, just spray them yellow, drybrush your highlight color green over it and wash it green. You can do an ork every 20 minutes like that. Honestly, the best part about orks is how you get to customize everything.
>>
>>49273337
How many times are you ever going to play 300 models ?
>>
File: Wobz.jpg (3MB, 1300x4535px) Image search: [Google]
Wobz.jpg
3MB, 1300x4535px
repost from an earlier thread, all WIPs, ghazghkull is finished except for the base, ideas what to add to it?
>>
>>49273533

a GW base

Lighter sand color.
>>
>>49273337

I'd invest a bit and subcontract a painter or two
>>
>>49271879
You also should sell units seperate and not whole armies to get a little more money.
>>
>>49272374
>How many hours/army sets did it take for you all to become good miniature painters?

That depends entirely on you Anon.
Some people learn faster, others need years.. some will never really learn it. Its just like with all things involving skill.

If you watch tutorials, keep asking questions here or elsewhere and with proper tools you can get decent results within the first box (5-10 minis painted) i'd say.
>>
>>49273533

Grots dragging tools and ammo, maybe make a separate base with a banner pole carrier
>>
>>49270549
I had made my own out of a breakfast platter from Jack in the Box. great size for it. Wouldn't have thought of it without seeing that video months ago, though.
>>
>>49273337
I think you should do a quick tabletop standard for them, but if any of the models do anything memorable then you should update their paint job for maximum Your Dudes,
>>
File: 0910214705357314.jpg (2MB, 800x6000px) Image search: [Google]
0910214705357314.jpg
2MB, 800x6000px
Solar auxilia malcador :)
>>
>>49274851
These look incredible. Great work!
>>
>>49274851

The inside of the barrels looks a little bright though? Other than that excellent.
>>
>>49273337
Do what i do
give em a basic 3 colour and a dip. then play them
Gradually Improve the models that do something cool.
For instance. a team that Killed a bunch of Chaos Space marines got a red Inquisition mark on Their shoulder plates.
i also Highlighted them, added exra details. Even put a few Scrapes and Gashes into a few Plates of armour. Makes em actually look like veterans rather than just Out of the Wood work infantry.

Make your commander look nice though. He needs to be distinguished from the horde.
>>
How long does GW keep your white dwarf in store anyway? Haven't found the time to pick mine up as they are closed when I'm off from work. Really want that slaughterpriest.
>>
>>49275314
call them or write an email and ask
>>
>>49274851
Love it!
>>
File: Watch1.jpg (276KB, 814x865px) Image search: [Google]
Watch1.jpg
276KB, 814x865px
Deathwatch Watch Master

WIP!
>>
So /wip/ I'm not sure where to post this but I guess I'll put it where there's actual people who paint.
What do you think of pic related? There's a project going on kickstarter and the basic version looks nice (not interested in the expensive dildo handle), I might get one. Have you experience with similar products, maybe the earlier models? Is it useful or just a shitty gizmo?
>>
>>49276227
Its very useful but it can be build easily by yourself.

Its not extremely expensive though, so just go for it if you can afford it. There are worse ways for waste money.. for example citadel mold line remover tools.
>>
>>49276227

Gimmick as fuck.

Case in fucking point >>49276210 has done the same thing with a wine cork
>>
Ey guys, I have been looking for a regular Imperial citizen looking guy to defile him (Think event horizont) to make my renegade psyker. Problem is, I cant find regular looking guys to convert. Ive searched for other civilians, but scale or quality wont fit. Ideas?
>>
>>49276210
Looks promising Anon.

The pose is super static though.. i'm not a big fan of that model
>>
>>49276210
Looks really good already.
>>
File: spiderman neat.jpg (8KB, 250x202px) Image search: [Google]
spiderman neat.jpg
8KB, 250x202px
>>49276210
>>
File: 1m.png (10KB, 745x637px) Image search: [Google]
1m.png
10KB, 745x637px
>>49276322
>>49276440
>>49276655

Thanks guys!

>mfw
>>
>visions doesnt exist anymore
>merged with WD
>get a free slaughter priest with it

Meh, now I have to pay that damn thing I guess
>>
Krylon makes the best spray paint.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Re9jTuWPk
>>
>>49277628
It 150 pages of awesomeness. They really improved and it shows that they try to do good there.

For me the question is if they can continue on that level with the next issues.

They even do a live stream event on twitch right now covering some kind of AoS tournament. I'm absolutely surprised and impressed by GW at this point
>>
>>49278404
>finger mould lines
no, GW (smartly) cut the sprue to have the mold line align with the power armored finger sections
>>
>>49276210
How do you get your metals like that?
>>
>>49278675

Which metal is that? Gold?

>Gold
>Base with leadbelcher
>Retributor Armour
>Wash the center of the section with Agrax in the center, let it dry
>(repeat)
>(repeat)
>(Do this until it looks bronze / browny but the edges should still look quite bright)
>highlight edges with ironbreaker
>fine highlight edge with stormhost
>>
File: Wulfen Champion.jpg (630KB, 2560x988px) Image search: [Google]
Wulfen Champion.jpg
630KB, 2560x988px
Grey Space Wolf anon here.

Wulfen Champion update from my White Dwarf Slaughterpriest.

I was lucky that fantasy Ork boar rider has perfect sized hand for the right hand to match the left.
Used an Ork forearm that wasn't bulky enough so did some Greenstuff muscle work to bulk it up.

All that is left is a storm shield to go on the right arm once the back hand fluff has cured.
>>
>>49279214

Brutal.

Looks like he's mid primal / roar scream in pure anger, love it.
>>
>>49279214

Greenstuffed arm is going to get veins too right?
>>
>>49279389
Yeah. didn't want to do too much at once or I'll end up smushing the fluff.
>>
>>49279214
Very nice! Gives out all the right crazy homicidal vibes.

>>49278774
Is there anything agrax won't do? Together with nuln oil they're the duct tape of mini painting, best citadel products by far.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2069x3134px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2069x3134px
I have been trying to get a nice colorscheme for these guys, I painted one for test, what do you think?
>>
>when your edge highlighting has been on point forever but you move house and you begin fucking up because the paint consistency magically goes down the drain, too watery or too dry, and you get mad and cant highlight without shakey angry hands

autism is a curse
>>
>>49272444
Which How To videos would you recommend?
>>
>>49279567
it looks nice. The robes on the dude and on the horse are the same colors, so it is a bit hard to see the distinction between his leg/robs and the horse.

The shading on the bones also is pretty dramatic. Not bad looking, just maybe overly shadowed? If it were mine, I would make it a bit more bone colored and a bit less dark.
>>
>>49279616
Not him, but whichever one relates to the models you have or want to paint. There's a great new series of hobby tips as well, which are useful for learning new techniques, and they're short, less than two minutes long.
>>
>>49279567

Don't be afraid to make the contrast much higher. Don't get me wrong, it's well painted but if you made the spots away from the light much darker while making the fire and surrounding area much brighter, the effect would really come out much better.
>>
>>49279567
If you keep that quality on whole army, I wish I could play with you someday.
>>
>>49279214
you might wanna go with a shoulderpad on the the other arm, seems like just a tad too much fur or maybe it just didn't come out as good as other areas, it just looks a bit off from the other spots, looking cool though overall
>>
File: shoulder.jpg (731KB, 1966x1202px) Image search: [Google]
shoulder.jpg
731KB, 1966x1202px
>>49279803
Thanks for feedback.

On the photos submitted, I see what you mean but I think it's angle and lighting.

Here's a closeup.
>>
>>49279610

Nah, you just need to start writing down your rituals so you can recreate them easily.
>>
>>49279722
by effect you mean the fire? I already tried with a brighter fire but it looked weird

>>49279628
yeah the strong shadows in the bone serve as contrast for the robes

>>49279747
thanks, the rest of the army has different levels of quality, I have been painting it over a long time
>>
>>49281034

It's supposed to be kind of glowing and ghostly, right? A high contrast would help that. It's very tame right now.
>>
File: IMG_1272.jpg (548KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1272.jpg
548KB, 1632x1224px
After a long delay I'm finally just getting on with priming. I hope it isn't too thick, I've never used spray primer before (used brush primer before).

Here are two techmarines, I need to finish converting the other ones power axe before I finish him off.
>>
File: IMG_1275.jpg (610KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1275.jpg
610KB, 1632x1224px
>>49281235
First tactical squad, some of the painted ones were done months before. Still experimenting with techniques. Will try only using the glaze nuln oil after the primer and go over it with base and layers. I hope the conversions come through in the pictures.
>>
File: DGrhinos01.jpg (2MB, 4544x1788px) Image search: [Google]
DGrhinos01.jpg
2MB, 4544x1788px
Got started on the two rhinos. That was the easy part, the green stuff fuckery is going to take a lot more time.

>>49271591
>>49272360
Thanks guys. Mostly stuck with the Death Guard theme because it's easy and fast to do. Got to paint exactly 1005 points until the end of the month.

>>49272465
Still working on a slaanesh champion based on this guy - never liked the flayed look for blood angels, though.

>>49276210
Looks really hot. It's black, gold, gun metal and red, just the best colour scheme imaginable.

>>49279214
Huge improvement on the original, as far as i'm concerned.

>>49279567
Looks really damn good anon. Robes and saddlecloth being the same colour doesn't really matter. That's just about all i have to add.
>>
File: IMG_1273.jpg (252KB, 980x735px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1273.jpg
252KB, 980x735px
>>49281288
Second tactical squad.
>>
File: IMG_1276.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1276.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>49281304
HQ dreadnought. Forgot to mention most of the army is magnitised. I'm not too sure about the head, what do you guys think? I've used to good ones on my techmarines and wanted something suited towards a HQ.
>>
>>49281142
nah not really, I have never seen a ghostly effect that looks good, so I settled for that
>>
File: its a WIP johhny!.jpg (257KB, 1078x808px) Image search: [Google]
its a WIP johhny!.jpg
257KB, 1078x808px
Johnny do you copy?

Can someone post the collage of all the other Johnnys? Need some inspiration before I start. Decided to do the base first this time, it's about half done then it's time for Johnny himself. I'm going to need to buy one of those $7 agrax pots first though...
>>
File: 1463092785980.jpg (1MB, 4871x1427px) Image search: [Google]
1463092785980.jpg
1MB, 4871x1427px
>>49281416
I only have the first one.
>>
Does anyone have a good bone recipie? I'm looking for more of a white bone color for bone protrusions in my chaos models. Thank you
>>
>>49281724
that works, thanks
>>
>>49281738
I usually use karak stone, then do progressive layers of karak stone mixed with vallejo off white until I reach the tips which are then just bone white. Then I wash with either agrax or seraphim depending on how dirty I want the bone to be.
>>
where do you guys get that magic brush cleaning fluid cylinder thing I see posted here? my brushes need some serious help
>>
So I just inhaled some acrylic dust and now I feel dizzy. Am I gonna die?
>>
>>49274851
That Shadowsword (?) is pure sex anon.
>>
I'm fucking autistic about moldlines and it takes me soo long to clean my models.
I really love assembling and converting but the prep work is so taxing. Basically spent the day building 8 Khorne Marines for my Daemonkin and only 2 1/2 are done.
>>
>>49282591

There's like 10 baneblade variants of which I'm aware and probably dozens more I don't know, but this specific one has a MASSIVE volkite gun on top.

Basically this thing shoots heat rays to set shit on fire over a good distance.
>>
File: image.jpg (153KB, 400x569px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153KB, 400x569px
>>49281416
Oh cool! An Auric Patricians Johnny!
>>
>>49270063
If you can somehow find tomb king bits that aren't being sold for their weight in gold, I would grab a warsphinx or related bits to trick out the knights for a thousand-son-esque theme.

Or if you wanted to go dirty chaos slap on a bunch of chaos spawn bits and greenstuff.
>>
File: IMG_0410.jpg (862KB, 1452x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0410.jpg
862KB, 1452x1936px
Day 10 Progress.

I am so sick of gold trim, but it's coming along. Should I leave it more matte or use a glossier coat of seal to give it some shine after?

Base needs a chunk of work, going to raise the earth around the feet so that there's a smooth transition between the small and scenic base.
>>
>>49283486
Also adding that I'm of course cleaning up the spillover spots of gold afterword.
>>
File: 20160910_174836.jpg (325KB, 1267x1061px) Image search: [Google]
20160910_174836.jpg
325KB, 1267x1061px
Planning stage of my Emperor's Children Sonic Dreadnought.
Still sanding down the back of the Dirge Casters and I plan to remove the cables from them facing the impromptu sarcophagus.
Ectoplasma Cannon representing a Blast Master, additional cabling probably to be added from the main body to the cannon.
Paint will be completely redone-- what do you think of the concept?
>>
>>49283486
That thing is regal as fuck.
>>
>>49283585
I like everything but the helmet. Sonic dreads should be loud. If you want a great head concept for one like that, look up 2nd edition noise marines, with the speaker faces. Something like that would blend in better with the bits one the dread.
>>
>>49283585
torso looks a bit too pushed forward and the head doesn't match too well like the other anon said, could use a bit more chaos-ing up on the left arm and legs if possible
>>
>>49281837
Any chance you could give me the GW equivalents?
>>
>>49283585
>>49283863
oh and you've got the leg armor up-side-down
>>
>>49270063
I really dig your use of that wire as an electric charge.
>>
>>49284049
he said it wasn't his in the post anon
>>
File: johnny_collage03.jpg (3MB, 4871x3000px) Image search: [Google]
johnny_collage03.jpg
3MB, 4871x3000px
>>49281416
>Can someone post the collage of all the other Johnnys?

At 2.5MB, this one's a beast, but it's the one I used as a basis for making one of the OP images.
>>
>>49284076
then I just really dig it.
>>
File: Johnny WIP in progress 2.jpg (257KB, 1078x808px) Image search: [Google]
Johnny WIP in progress 2.jpg
257KB, 1078x808px
progress. still have to do highlights, wash the gold, fix my mistakes up, and figure out the eyes

>>49282820
it's a homebrew chapter, but it's pretty close. mine are gold and silver with accents of white and black

>>49284278
that one's great, the eyes are proving an issue for me and the bottom left looks just like mine right now. hope mine can be added to that when I'm done
>>
>>49284518
where to get a johnny?
>>
>>49284752
really just get lucky on eBay, or do what I did and post a wanted ad on an oldhammer/warhammer trading group
>>
File: 20160827_163850.jpg (362KB, 1008x756px) Image search: [Google]
20160827_163850.jpg
362KB, 1008x756px
>>49273337
>>49273494

nigga, please
>>
File: 20160827_174519.jpg (412KB, 1008x756px) Image search: [Google]
20160827_174519.jpg
412KB, 1008x756px
>>49284790
>>
File: GEDC0735.jpg (3MB, 4320x3240px) Image search: [Google]
GEDC0735.jpg
3MB, 4320x3240px
Did a small fix to the tyranids i've been working on since i forgot to paint the joints. Any good?
>>
>>49284813
Looks sad and bland.

I couldn't imagine playing without a fully painted army
>>
File: 16k steel legion.jpg (1MB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
16k steel legion.jpg
1MB, 2016x1512px
>>49285287

I'm actually the steel legion player and I agree. Painted armies are more fun. I'm working on detailing all the chimeras now.
>>
>>49285312
Sorry buddy, half ass rattle can camo job with no details isnt a painted army.
>>
>>49285381

Not him, but speak for yourself, fatbeard. I like the look of it.
>>
>>49285406
Yeah I especially like how the camo runs onto the tracks and nothing is painted otherwise.
One night of spray paint.
>>
>>49285312
>>49285381
It's progress though, and thats better than a grey blob of bodies as the other player has
>>
File: wip 3.jpg (913KB, 1512x2016px) Image search: [Google]
wip 3.jpg
913KB, 1512x2016px
>>49285381

not all of them are undetailed
>>
File: wip 1.jpg (1MB, 1512x2016px) Image search: [Google]
wip 1.jpg
1MB, 1512x2016px
>>49285509
>>
>>49283585
Not a fan of the Extoplasma arm in this case. It's not even converted into a dread's shoulder, just tacked-on. In addition, it just looks like a plasma cannon anyway.
>>
>>49285312
>>49285509
>>49285569
As a /k/ommado and fa/tg/uy, I'm digging the camo. But could you feasibly do the camo on just the plates, and trim them also? At least on the Knight? Maybe put mud or wear/tear on the tank tracks?
>>
File: 100_1149.jpg (296KB, 1229x922px) Image search: [Google]
100_1149.jpg
296KB, 1229x922px
Finished my first squad of Kasrkin except for a few details on a few models
>>
File: metal love.jpg (315KB, 1000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
metal love.jpg
315KB, 1000x1250px
>>49274851
I want to do very heretical things to that malcador.
>>
>>49281340
I'm not too keen on the head, the details of it are obscured. I would just use a regular head.
>>
>>49285312
It bothers me that the leman russes with wide tracks aren't the ones with the biggest guns but I still like them.
>>
>>49279497
A decent wash is basically skill in a bottle.
>>
>>49287426
>use army painter quick shade for my nids
>playing at local store
>woah anon, that must have taken forever to shade those
>naw, took like 2 hours
the look on his face was too good for me to tell him how I actually did it
>>
>>49285381

>I'm a prissy little shitlord who can't read

Yes, that is very plain.
>>
>>49285381
>>49285430

Maybe next time read the whole post before replying, champ.
>>
Hello, a guy here working the first time ever with greenstuff. I just unpacked it and wanted to ask if it is normal that the stuff reaks to the heavens?

Also any tips on how to use? I mainly got it to fill gaps in models
>>
File: masters.jpg (16KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
masters.jpg
16KB, 300x300px
>>49282501

this one?
thats'll be "the Masters" Brush cleaner and Preserver
>>
Workin' on my dreadmob, just 6 more kans to go.
>>
File: dreads1.jpg (317KB, 1063x598px) Image search: [Google]
dreads1.jpg
317KB, 1063x598px
>>49289414
Where are you, pic? WHERE?!
>>
>>49289306
yep that's it. thanks
>>
Got my Wraithknight magnetized. Parts that matter (arms), at least. From reading the tutorial on White Metal Games, I thought it was going to be more difficult, but all I did was shave off the convex part of the socket and GS on a magnet. Granted, the arms are pretty droopy now, but I figured that was going to happen either way.
>>
>>49289487
Use metal wire to keep the arm in the wanted position, that's what I did.
>>
File: WH40K_IronHands_vs_Alaitoc2beta.jpg (393KB, 1920x1310px) Image search: [Google]
WH40K_IronHands_vs_Alaitoc2beta.jpg
393KB, 1920x1310px
>>49286631
Yeah I had to strip some of the models (second hand) in detol and didn't think about how it would ruin resin. I want to go some something like in this artwork if anyone knows the best way of getting hold of a skull, I was originally thinking the snap fit choas space marine heads might be a cheap way.
>>
File: 20160911_044259.jpg (165KB, 869x554px) Image search: [Google]
20160911_044259.jpg
165KB, 869x554px
current projekts: bat-sama and 30k alpha legion veterans inspired by some pictures I found on google a while ago
>>
File: Sicaran_4.jpg (163KB, 1149x908px) Image search: [Google]
Sicaran_4.jpg
163KB, 1149x908px
My Sicaran, finished him with a little bit of sponge weathering.
>>
File: shield.jpg (505KB, 1222x1632px) Image search: [Google]
shield.jpg
505KB, 1222x1632px
Can't decide which shield.
The round one from SW terminators is a bit small, even for a buckler.

The big one might be too big, or do anons think it works?

The big one is plain but I would spice it up with some cool details. Chains, runes etc.
>>
File: rps20160911_111158.jpg (68KB, 1197x680px) Image search: [Google]
rps20160911_111158.jpg
68KB, 1197x680px
>>49269910
I would add some dirt to it too.
>>49290774
I like the bigger shield.

Colourblind dark eldar/eldar/harlequins anon here. I'm working on some more of my galaxy stuff and here are my two farseers. If I continue in this scheme with black fabric and grey armour plates, what colours should I do the harlequin checks?
>>
>>49290774
I like the second one.
>>
Paintvirgin here. I bought Monolith's Conan board game, it should be shipping in a month or two. The thing is the game contains roughly 100 minis which I would like to paint but I would not like to pay a lot for paints knowing that the result will most likely be subpar at the very best.

So where would I go about getting a decent set of paints/brushes/thinner to enhance my Hyborian adventure?
>>
>>49290876
Try your countries equivalent of this -
http://www.warandpeacegames.com.au/DEAL_The_What_do_I_need_to_Get_Started_Deal_p/dl-what.htm
>>
>>49290907
Thanks, found the paint starter for 25 euros which is roughly what I wanted to pay. FW had sets for 70-100 sterling which seems a bit steep for someone just starting out.
>>
>>49290774
I like the freehand/transfer opportunities the bigger one provides, but you'd have to get the grip to look nice.
>>
>>49290947
Everything within the tool set you should be able to find in your local hardware store for less money. Keep that in mind.

Get that Army Painter starter paint set and think about what other colors you might need for your minis and get a few extra bottles and maybe a higher quality detail brush (size 0, price range around 3-6€ i'd recommend since you are a beginner).
Then i'd recommend you to pick up a can of primer. Army painter does primers in all sorts of colors. Look at your minis and think about what color would be best for the very base layer of paint. Skin color maybe? (just a guess, i don't know the minis)
>>
File: guard.jpg (81KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
guard.jpg
81KB, 960x1280px
Almost finished my test model.

any thoughts?
>>
>>49291089
My first thought was:
>The rifle needs highlights

But after looking at the mini for a bit longer i found that that might ruin the gritty trench look.
A squad or an army of these would look pretty nice i think.

Where did you get that mini from? Victoria?
>>
>>49291110
yes, torso and head are from victoria.

some legs are too from the same site (like in the pic), a few are from a bunch of broken kriegs that i got with a box of guard bits.
>>
File: 20160911_120214.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160911_120214.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
My first post in WIP!
These are my tests on the colours for my dudes.
I'm satisfied with the colour scheme, but I need to step up my sloppy paintjob.
Sry for the shit pic!
Critics would be appreciated!
>>
>>49290744

I'd weather the barrels of the cannons to finish it off and maybe add some dirt carefully with a sponge on the underside and treads.

Maybe a big word bearers graphic and I'm not sure about the chaos stars.

Other than that it's looking 9/10
>>
Any tips on painting this color?
>>
>>49291161

They look dull or toned down but it works.

Remember, it's more about how the whole army looks and how consistent is the painjob across all models than the particular paint scheme
>>
>>49291186
Has forgeworld released models for the 20th legion primarchs without me realising or did you get these from another company?
>>
>>49291298
No, but they released some kind of AL assassin squad.
>>
>>49291298

Nigger those are FW beakies.
>>
File: IMG_20160911_073733.jpg (36KB, 360x432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160911_073733.jpg
36KB, 360x432px
Obviously haven't glued all of it yet? by how's this look with the Agonizer?
>>
>>49291324
>>49291322
>>49291298
I think the joke here is that they are all Alpharius, or Omegon, as Alpharius is indisposed.
>>
>>49289424
dank as fuck m8. Great job with weathering.

Thumbs up for goin with deathskullz klan.
>>
Buying new primer blew my mind.

Disappointed with my slew of top minis only getting low 6s in CMON, I pretty much gave up painting for a year, only a single mini from MWO (warhansa)

I was messing around with infinity when I fell in love with the seraph, so I decided to get new supplies.

Used army painter grey, and it blew my mind. Coming from Tamiya white, where nothing sticks, it was a total joy to use, and white really is the shittest colour, anything unpainted sticks out like a dog's balls, and looks terrible, whereas grey sort of auto-shades, and unpainted areas are much easier to work with.

paint your thins also actually works, because it can actually take thin paints.

was looking through tutorials from miniwargamer jay on youtube. so much new tech! No wonder what I've been painting looks like shit, everything is the old-style heavy metal flat line and highlight everything, whereas now, there's actually good washes (the old style water down and wash used to turn up dots with the old GW paints), good inks (old gee dub inks were ultra strong, and totally stains everything), etc.

I've never been this happy of excited painting in 15 years. Didn't know so much new stuff has come out.

Also, army painter grey is pretty expensive @ 30AUD. Anyone can recommend good grey primer? I had terrible experience with the old GW primer, with white lumps coming out (the old-style blue can), and tamiya white refuses any paint other than the thickest, stickiest stuff.
>>
>>49291459
Krylon?
Vallejo?

Both brands make good spray can primers, but since you live in Aussieland, i suspect them to be expensive too.
>>
>>49291459
Is primer really that important? I just use a thin layer of black Vallejo paint and I get fine coverage after a couple of coats. Is there any difference between black paint and black primer?
>>
>>49291653
It helps the paint to stick.
On plastic minis its less important, but if you paint metal, its super important to avoid paint chipping.
>>
File: Watch2.jpg (248KB, 880x911px) Image search: [Google]
Watch2.jpg
248KB, 880x911px
Deathwatch Water Master - part 2

Almost done, still need to do the Stave blade, wondering if I should try to ape the official model with power weapon-crackle

Or just go bright silver with a faint blue glaze
>>
File: monstrous rat.jpg (386KB, 800x1404px) Image search: [Google]
monstrous rat.jpg
386KB, 800x1404px
>>49291459
I use a spray on primer from Bunnings (I just grabbed the white knight brand. I just scratched a metal mini lightly with my fingernail and it was fine but and seemed to hold well enough when I scratched it harder.
I'm painting currently painting a mini for a friend that was primed with the new GW coloured sprays (I think they are acrylic paints as opposed to a primer) and it I think it is pretty good.
(pic related) WIP model that was primed with GW primer.
I just finished painting the flesh on both sides trying to go for a two tones style I think the brown side is better than the pink side.
>>
>>49291697

Looking great.

I'm so tempted to start deathwatch.

I'd paint the weapon gold, though, since it's a custodes thing
>>
File: Put_your_damn_helmet_on.jpg (171KB, 903x575px) Image search: [Google]
Put_your_damn_helmet_on.jpg
171KB, 903x575px
What do you think guys, lop off Arti's head and replace with a helmet?
>>
>>49291874
It will make yours different and seems to work well on your shoop.
>>
any recommended airbrush primers?
or should i just stick with the halfords rattle can?
>>
>>49291874

I've been thinking of doing this with ALL Deathwatch models.

The thing with Artemis though is that he's a long existing 40k character and he's always been helmetless, so I wouldnt know which one to choose.
>>
>>49291823
Such a magestic mount
>>
>>49291894
Vallejo airbrush primer is pretty good.
>>
>>49291894

Vallejo surface primer is top notch, best primer I ever used
>>
>>49283585
i like it. I've been mourning the loss of the sonic dread from FW, and wthis gives me inspiration to do my own. I kinda agree on the other anons reference for head, i get that it is there for the reference to marius original kakophanii, but maybe a mutated head is good to go? like the slaneshii one from the SCM tactical box?
>>
>>49291929

That's my Watch Master above and my shoop there on Arti.

I'm the same, no helmetless Marines at all.

I'm aware of Artimus' history which is the only reason I'm even hesitating lopping his head off.. I think I may do it.
>>
>>49292094
Even touching something lightly that was primed with surface primer black leads to scratched off areas. Have to do several priming sessions if I dont want that holding / painting a model does damage the coat.
>>
>>49292108

Honestly, you may be better off doing it.

You can always get the classic Inquisitor scale Artemis online.

Deathwatch marines all look so much better with helmets on, more so nowadays, that there's a great variety and even helmets for special chapters like Dark Angels and Space Wolves
>>
>>49269910

according to the citadel paint chart, is their stages of drybrushing good to do for a while army?
>>
>>49292031
>>49292094

thanks basedcoat dudes
>>
File: rps20160911_155947.jpg (164KB, 1224x1237px) Image search: [Google]
rps20160911_155947.jpg
164KB, 1224x1237px
>>49290838
Finished my 417 points of eldar - 2 squads of scatbikes and 2 farseers. Moving onto the faolchus blade formation next - if I keep these colours consistent through each formation, which colours should I do the harlequins checks?
>>
>>49292836
Rich purple with white or very pale blue bordering?
>>
How bad of an ide is it to get about 6 Malcadors?
Realy like the feel of that tank but my wallet shudder even one!
>>
>>49291161
If that's sloppy then I'd love to see what your maximum effort looks like. Also your eyebrow game is on point.
>>
>>49292836
>if I keep these colours consistent through each formation, which colours should I do the harlequins checks?
the bone white of the farseer/warlock, probably

I can't remember which colour you used on your basic harlequin troops, though. Was it grey?
>>
>>49291874
Artemis did eventually get a helmet conversion pack in inquisitor, so it's not really out of place.

I think deathwatch look better with unadorned helmets, however. The wreath is overkill.
>>
>>49294050
You could always chinaman/pataroch them.
Maybe pataroch six of them and grab like two real ones?
>>
File: IMG_20160726_135347.jpg (3MB, 3260x1248px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160726_135347.jpg
3MB, 3260x1248px
>>49293859
I like the idea of the purple
>>49294505
The harlequins I've already done are all being redone because the green star effect looked a bit shit in comparison to the new way
>>
>>49291459
Bad primer makes everything that follows suck ass.

I like valspar/Plastikote myself.
>>
What's a good gloss varnish? Is Testors good?
>>
>>49276316
Plz respond
>>
>>49273337
Speed paint boys first. Spend most of your efforts on making the nodz in the boyz squads stand out with nice looking bases. Make your warboss and HQs the center peace with elaborate base and good color composition.
>>
File: IMG_1132.jpg (257KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1132.jpg
257KB, 2448x3264px
Does his white robe look okay? I'm waiting for some 'ardcoat so I can gloss his little bottles too. I really want him to turn out good so any CnC is weclome.
>>
>>49276316
The Crashed Aquila Lander Pilot from Battle For Macragge maybe? You may be able to find it on ebay, and he's about as close to a civilian as you'll find from GW itself.
Or maybe the Titan Crew on Foot from forgeworld?
>>
File: IMG_0125.png (727KB, 516x685px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0125.png
727KB, 516x685px
When is a conversion/kitbash a waste of time?
I'm still pretty insecure about my hobbying skills, so i'm second guessing myself a lot of the time

Here's my unpainted Flying Vampire Lord for AoS( 5 wounds / 140 points) made from about 4 kits
>>
>>49295272
Pretty good anon. Any way you can armor the arms? That's pretty much the only improvement I'd make
>>
>>49295237
the chaos cultists and 4th generation genestealer hybrids are probably the closest you'll find to "regular" citizenry from GW
>>
>>49295060
Is the robe light grey and then highlighted with white? That is what it looks like to me, and if that is the case, then yeah, the white is decent looking. The many ripples in the fabric make it hard to tell if it dirty or shadowed
>>
>>49295272
You will never get better unless you take risks.
>>
File: 1465570311292.jpg (2MB, 3200x2368px) Image search: [Google]
1465570311292.jpg
2MB, 3200x2368px
>>49291186
Try this friend
>>
File: kek.jpg (8MB, 2448x5736px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
8MB, 2448x5736px
I finished the Ironjawz start collecting. Next to go will be a shaman and some brutes. I was thinking to add more black parts to the armor of those, to reflect the elite status of the troop
>>
File: al_m1_preheresy.jpg (32KB, 300x441px) Image search: [Google]
al_m1_preheresy.jpg
32KB, 300x441px
>>49295560
>>49291186
I really wish they would have stayed with the old colors for AL.
>>
>>49295237
Too fancy, I guess. Probably Im just asking too much for GW models. Thank you very much anyway mate!
>>
>>49295353
>>49295555
I'll try doing a bit of sculpting on a spare model and see how i go
But i'm just lad its not awful

thanks
>>
>>49295637
One of the psyker/inquisition models maybe?
>>
Hello elegan/tg/entlemen. I've just begun painting up my first ever batch of 40k minis. I just got the Kill Team box, and I'm painting up my space marines as the Astral Knights.

I'm almost done building and magnetizing my dudes, but don't quite know how best to go about painting them up. Suggestions for paints, or where I might find the right decals for Astral Knights?
>>
File: 100_2479.jpg (453KB, 1577x800px) Image search: [Google]
100_2479.jpg
453KB, 1577x800px
still a few more pieces to collect, but I'm ready to start painting my distraction from space marines

Fun fact, the paint-stripped halberdier in the back is one of the first miniatures I bought, back in 1997.

Potentially more fun fact: the two knights and the crossbowman are almost as old as I am, and likely older than many users in the thread. They were released in '91
>>
>>49295867
>or where I might find the right decals for Astral Knights?

I doubt there are official decals for them. You can either buy decal paper and print them yourself or try to paint their emblem yourself. two crossed swords aren't to hard i think.
>>
>>49295880
Whee is that Raven from?
>>
File: artwor10.jpg (116KB, 1037x704px) Image search: [Google]
artwor10.jpg
116KB, 1037x704px
>>49295627

It's kinda still there.

There is no official color for Alpha Legion, and the Imperial Armour books depict them as dark metallic blue
>>
>>49296115
Raven?

The two ladies are from hasslefree minis, rest of the gang are GW classic.
>>
>>49295523
Yup that's exactly what I did. D-do you think I should change it?
>>
>>49295621
Bhah. Nice work.
>>
>>49295621
the skin looks nice. Armor is decent. The theme is really fucking stupid, but it's your minis, so you can do whatever you want with them. I would recommend working a bit on your freehand though.

faggot
>>
>>49296145
The sorcerer really looks like Raven from DC to me. Thanks!
>>
>>49296215
Nah, i just wanted to make sure that I was seeing what was actually there. It could have also been that your white was too thin and you needed more thin layers to get good coverage, but it seems ok to me.
>>
>>49294916
Only things I can think of are the regimental advisors from the IG range and that pilot from Battle For Macragge.
>>
>>49291341

>indisposed
>falling for AL trickery
>>
>>49296263
Ah cheers anon, I'm going to be playing at a lgs for the first time and I wanted to make sure my models looked spiffy!
>>
>>49296820
if your FLGS is anything like the many I have been to, you will easily have some of the better painted models on the field. For some reason, everyone around here seems more interested in having an army with every new mini in it, but no painting on anything, beyond maybe a spray of primer. Makes me sad when I see people with even marginally ok painted armies having to fight against a grey/black/white horde.
>>
File: Alpha Legion paint guide.png (4MB, 1098x5092px) Image search: [Google]
Alpha Legion paint guide.png
4MB, 1098x5092px
>>49291186
>>
Can anyone recommend me a nice brush on primer for my Knight Titans?
I have an airbrush too, but I feel like a .3 is too small for priming something that size. Am I wrong? I'll admit I'm not super comfortable using an airbrush yet either.
>>
>>49294641
>pataroch

wat
>>
>>49296987
a .3 should be fine for priming even some thing that large. It will take some time, but you can get a really nice thin even coat on all the details and such with the airbrush.

Either way, I think any of the vallejo primers are good.
>>
>>49297056
>wat
Like wat is patoroch or why would I suggest it?
>>
>>49297263
the former
>>
>>49297263

The first thing. I've never heard of it.
>>
anyone got any advice on basing drones?

Im struggling to making them look good because the bases are just crap and the "hover" stick stands are shit

any tricks
>>
File: IMG_0307.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0307.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>49297346
I assume you mean the clear plastic flight stands? Why not base it just like any other base in your army?

This is a flames of war model, but the principle is still there. Every other stand in the army is based with the same materials and paint. I'd imagine a drone (being in the same scale as the troops) would be easier to make look like it fits in.
>>
>>49297346
Just use different bases?

If you want them hovering, you have to deal with the stick if you don't want them to be right next to some kind of landscape.. (which can work for 1 or 2, but it looks silly if you have more than that number)

I also found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IioxVLGokpI
>>
>>49296906
Oh... I thought the painted armies in these threads were common and not the exceptions. That really sucks then
>>
>>49297491
Painted armies are common in this thread, but the world at large is very different from /wip/. Lots of people want to just keep up with whatever is new and hot in the rules for whatever game they play. For those people, modeling is a secondary aspect to the game. For most people on /wip/ (i think at least) it is the other way around, and the modeling/painting aspect is the primary reason for being in the hobby, and the games are somewhat secondary.

I haven't played a wargame besides X-wing/Armada in years. But i still have a full 40k Nurgle army, several squads of different chapters of Space Marines, 2 Flames of War armies, Robotech, BFG fleets, Halo Fleet Battles, and a tone of others simply because I love the models and love to build and paint them.
>>
File: DSCF0035_zpsezhi3ner.jpg (105KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0035_zpsezhi3ner.jpg
105KB, 1024x683px
>>49297310
>>49297316
Eli Patoroch is some Russian dude who has created a whole bunch of templates for vehicles from 40k (mostly IG and Space Marine stuff). You can make them out of a whole bunch of different stuff. Personally I use a mixture of paper and cardboard because I'm poor but I know people make them out of plastic. This model is one I found in the patoroch thread on zealot (http://zealot.com/threads/armormans-warhammer-40k-models-thread.170912/page-29) done by a guy called kommy. I'd recommend you at least try the malcador template if you are strapped for cash as you can always bin it or swap it out for a proper fw malkie later.
>>
>>49297593
neat. thanks.
>>
>>49297593
>>49297625

There is a facebook group called Paperhammer 40k too, really helpful guys and they know what they are doing. If you run into trouble, just ask there. (i can't provide a link because of the spam filter but you will surely find it)

Templates can be found everywhere in the internet actually. Just print them and then cut your prefered material (plasticcard, cardstock, maybe wood like in your pic) and build whatever you want.
>>
>>49295880
jelly of that war band my man
>>
File: 1457926220294.jpg (101KB, 500x418px) Image search: [Google]
1457926220294.jpg
101KB, 500x418px
I want to make my own Speece Meehren chapter how am i supposed too do the emblem, i maybe thought of buying a really fine permanent marker or something like that of some sorts, what cann you recommend?
>>
>>49297895
do you have a laser printer?
>>
Is GWs Yellow good for painting i heard its a real pain in the ass and if so,could anybody recommend anything else?
>>
>>49297895
Free hand if it isn't super complicated. Templates/stencils can be useful. A knife and some masking tape will go a long way.

If you have something super complicated, consider trying to print your own decals. You can buy decal printable paper, and some testors decal bonder spray (like a sealer for the ink on the paper), and then just print anything you want for a decal. White is the only problem there, as it is doubtful you have a printer that can print white ink. If you do want a white custom decal, there are places that can hook you up with any color decal, you provide the art.
>>
>>49297960
I do, but how does that help?
>>
>>49297976
Well ill try too freehand it, maybe itll work i just have too concentrate on drawing fine lines
>>
>>49297963
Yellow is a pain in the ass period. Just like white, you need lots of thin layers to build up a good color. If you can, put down a basecoat of brown and yellow, and work your way up from there. GW has a good base paint for that purpose as well that should just be yellow. Vallejo has a good yellow as well. Either way, you need a decent color to start with.
>>
File: molotow_uni_fineliner_a1.jpg (29KB, 368x326px) Image search: [Google]
molotow_uni_fineliner_a1.jpg
29KB, 368x326px
>>49297895
>Get a small pen. Like a really small one. Like pic related or even finer.
>Practice drawing the outlines of the thing you want to paint on paper with your pen.
>Practice painting the inside of your thing with a brush on the paper.
>repeat until you know what you are doing
>Steady your shaking hands and draw the outlines on the mini
>Fill the outlines
>>
>>49297981
you can print your own transfers. the paper is 6 bucks on ebay for 3 letter sheets.
>>
>>49297858
ta

Got plans for at least a half-dozen more models in the "full" band, but for now I'm going to prep these lads for painting.
>>
>>49291196
>>49294468

Thank you anons!
How could i make them look more lively then? Better highlighting maybe? Or should i generally get stronger on contrast?

Thanks for your input!
>>
>>49299128
Did you drybrush them or wetblend?
>>
File: IMG_0431.jpg (543KB, 1279x1642px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0431.jpg
543KB, 1279x1642px
Trying out a striped pattern on the right leg, should I mirror it on the other side of the armor piece, or keep as is?
>>
>>49299338
chevrons are a time honored adeptus titanicus heraldric marking
>>
>>49284813
>Green tide vs tanks

sounds like loads of fun

Everyone loves running towards a parking lot 2 steps forward and one step back
>>
>>49299338

The primer looks awfully gritty, anon. You should sand that down before you continue.
>>
File: IMAG0014.jpg (203KB, 1306x734px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0014.jpg
203KB, 1306x734px
>>49299338
Painting some of the Eldrazi from the MtG board game. How's this for a start?
>>
File: 1429377046934.png (237KB, 386x302px) Image search: [Google]
1429377046934.png
237KB, 386x302px
>>49299442
Aw fuck, didn't mean to quote, my bad.
>>
>>49299442
Is the blue translucent or the color gradient is that amazing?
>>
>>49295272
I like it
>>
>>49297409
there should be more Flames in /wip/
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Finished some Iron Hands today.
>>
>>49299950
>MkIII helms and bodies on MkIV
It hurts.

They look great though!
>>
>>49299824
Well I just finished my paratrooper army, and haven't shown it off here yet. Ill put together some photos so i don't have to post a bunch, hang on.
>>
About to start work on my Firestorm Armada Dindrenzi, after having the patrol fleet box sitting in my closet for two years, but I'm having trouble finding the colors I want, and I'd prefer not to mix. Anybody know of a good, kind of brick red? Not like a blood red or a scar red, but more of a brown-orange red? Most everything I can find is way too far into the orange, brown, or pure red part of the color family.
>>
>>49299433
that grit is just overspray from some grey I was using to add some depth to the stripes, makes it look gritty on camera. Once I do a once over with some black it should be nice and smooth looking.
>>
doing up 2 devastator squads with the Iron Warriors upgrade heads, should i mix up the helmet styles, or keep them uniform between the squads?
>>
>>49299950
They look really good anon! Keep up the good work.
>>
File: renegade.jpg (102KB, 780x585px) Image search: [Google]
renegade.jpg
102KB, 780x585px
Got the Renegade box set and I was planning to magnetize the weapons, but after building the rest of the skeleton I have realized that the weapons are actually built around the arms and thus are stuck there permanently once they are built.
Short of buying extra sets of arms off of ebay, how can I go about making these weapons swappable?
>>
>>49301111
you could pin/use smaller magnets on the gun arms to swap out the gatling/cannon/thermal cannon. If you want to as well you could convert the fist into a knight chainfist, so you can just claim its being used as either
>>
>>49301111
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=magnetizing+imperial+knight
>>
File: imperial_knight_magnetizedt.jpg (181KB, 1316x1194px) Image search: [Google]
imperial_knight_magnetizedt.jpg
181KB, 1316x1194px
>>49301111
>Short of buying extra sets of arms off of ebay, how can I go about making these weapons swappable?

Break it down, anon.
>>
Haven't had much time to devote on it, but I'm still chugging away at a miniature cataloging site. The suggestions I got last time have mostly been implemented.

Something that I want to do before I go further is start mass populating the miniature database. For now I'm planning to do Malifaux, Warmahordes, Infinity, 40k, and AoS. However, while I can set up a web crawler to hit up most of those games, I'm having a hard time finding a place that just straight up lists GW's models compared to the various wikis for those games.

Unfortunately their webstore has too many bundles and misc items to be really effective for mining purposes. I do see one wiki that has some sort of 40k troop list:

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Eldar

Are those Forces sections more or less accurate enough to use for information gathering? Ideally I'd just like a big list of GW miniatures, but I don't think any exist that aren't ancient.
>>
>>49292440
>You can always get the classic Inquisitor scale Artemis online.
Dude.
Artemis is expensive as fuck these days. And if you find a rare one with the helmet from a bitspack it's gonna cost you a kidney.
>>
>>49301268
Hey anon check out this website.
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
It's got most of the older metal models. Then you can put in necromunda too.
>>
>>49301268
Oh and gamesworkshop used to put out a hardcover catalog of all their minis. I have a copy but it's a hardcover book and hundreds of pages long.
https://www.amazon.com/Games-Workshop-Complete-Catalog-Reference/dp/1841545988
>>
>>49301937
>>49301955

These look like good places for me to start digging from, though it looks like I'll be missing a lot of post 2012 models.

Still looks like a good place for some of the older specialist games.
>>
File: 45g6r5h776.jpg (448KB, 1425x882px) Image search: [Google]
45g6r5h776.jpg
448KB, 1425x882px
I cannot stop making boyz
>>
File: 20160911_222947.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160911_222947.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Dug up the first space Marines I painted in my early days. Think I went for a pimp theme or something edgy and shit. Re-painting them to propper Ultramarines.
>>
File: Awesome Shock.gif (457KB, 390x293px) Image search: [Google]
Awesome Shock.gif
457KB, 390x293px
>>49302251
Are these 3D printed? How? SAUCE?
>>
>>49302251

What about their heads and arms, anon
>>
>>49302299

He casts them himself. He's been talking about it for a few threads now.
>>
>>49302300
Separate molds. Im going to make all the bodies I want first then get to work on the rest
>>
Where the fuck do I find a drill small enough to drill out the barrels on tau pulse rifles?
>>
>>49302404
You dont
>>
>>49302404
Thumb tack.
>>
>>49285312
i believe i have seen your models before sir
>>
>>49302404
They kind of make sense as battery cathodes. Not really necessary to drill them.
>>
File: RegultWIP.jpg (244KB, 1619x441px) Image search: [Google]
RegultWIP.jpg
244KB, 1619x441px
Test paint job for robotech tactics models. I still need to do the transfers and the final matte varnish, but I am liking the simplicity of the painting. I am going for a look like the model is pulled right out of the anime, so there are basically no highlights, and the only shading is the black lining.
>>
>>49302251
What are you using to make these?

I've been thinking of making my own molds but I don't know the slightest thing about casting.

On a semi-related note, I have ~75 pounds of lead bars I'm not using, anyone got any ideas?

If I knew how to mold I can make 75 pounds worth of lead Johnny recasts.
>>
>>49302578

That's what I was thinking, but I noticed the official GW pics on the box seem to have holes drilled so I figured it might be a standard for tau rifles.
>>
>>49302697
They can't be trusted 100%, plasmaguns are all over the place when it comes to their barrels, and IIRC canonically they're merely concave at the end with a minuscule hole.
>>
File: alum10560.jpg (14KB, 400x255px) Image search: [Google]
alum10560.jpg
14KB, 400x255px
>>49302629
Its all stuff you can get at michaels/ Hobby Lobby

You just have to understand how casting works and how to make the gates and channels in the right places
>>
File: 1467993638685.jpg (356KB, 2288x1385px) Image search: [Google]
1467993638685.jpg
356KB, 2288x1385px
Hey /wip/ I have a question, do any of you do like a practice run/warm-up before you start a painting session? I haven't touched my brushes in about two months, and have some time set aside tomorrow for painting, but I'm afraid I'll fuck up my projects because I'm a little rusty. I have some shitty plastic army men I was thinking of priming to use as practice/warm up material.

I don't have any current pics of my WIPs, so here's two Citadel guides for painting white armor, since these usually get asked for every other thread.
>>
>>49302777

I just go at it, but if it's a two month break it couldn't hurt to get your bearings.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Deathwatch Chaplain and crew in the back I am working on. Helmet needs to be cleaned up and have tubing added. Really loving the new Deathwatch models.
>>
File: 1472073485042.jpg (464KB, 1094x900px) Image search: [Google]
1472073485042.jpg
464KB, 1094x900px
Hey /tg/.:

Does anyone have any images of fancy Dark Angels company banner? The standard company badge + blade banners used in the codex doesn't do it for me. Anyone have something more along the lines of pic related?
>>
>>49303227
ravenwing command squad has something very similar to the banner the dread there has
>>
File: 0agCl7W.jpg (38KB, 540x585px) Image search: [Google]
0agCl7W.jpg
38KB, 540x585px
>>49299489
Eh, it's a little rougher in person, but yeah it is a gradient. Here's a pic with the big fella.
>>
>>49303270
How big is the large eldrazi compared to a standard 25/28 mm figure?
>>
anyone got tips to working with mechanicus grey / dawnstone / white scar? I'm trying to work up to white by layering and these paints are giving me more trouble than the entire rest of the range. Either I thin it as much or a little more than usual and it still doesn't go on with remotely even coverage, and thus streaks (i,e, you can see the striations made by the bristles) or add even a little more water and it starts behaving more like a wash, not covering well enough / drying fast enough to avoid getting dragged by the brush.

Halp
>>
>>49303437
Welcome to hell, I'm having the same problem. I've been approaching it with many very thin layers and it's taking forever but working better than previous attempts.
>>
File: IMAG0022.jpg (122KB, 734x835px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0022.jpg
122KB, 734x835px
>>49303311
bout three guardsmen tall.
>>
>>49303437
you arent using the right paints to get to white
you want celestra grey, ulthuan grey, then white scar
the path you're going is absolutely fucked
another tip is to use acrylic medium rather than water for white, i've noticed significantly better results with it than water
>>
>>49303505
danke
>>
>>49303499
That would make a fucking sick dameon prince or greater daemon

Is the plastic rigid or is it that shitty bendable vinyl they usually make that stuff from
>>
>>49303633
greenstuff some eyes onto its chest or arms and you have a quality lord of change, or greenstuff some pustules and drill out some open sores for a particulary slug-like GUO
>>
File: mailed why.png (43KB, 172x221px) Image search: [Google]
mailed why.png
43KB, 172x221px
>>49284813

> Double-tracked Leman Russ Punishers with FW trench rails/filters and no hatches.

???????
>>
>>49284813
>those LR's with the double tracks
weird, but actually pretty fucking cool looking
>>
>>49303633
it's made of the same stuff, but it's much more rigid just cuz it's so much more plastic.
>>
File: 161061_CN-1.jpg (954KB, 1101x1500px) Image search: [Google]
161061_CN-1.jpg
954KB, 1101x1500px
>>49303670
I was actually thinking of giving it a Kozilek style crest, but didn't know how to go about doing it. As shitty as Battle for Zendikar and Oath of the Gatewatch were, the Eldrazi designs were top notch.
>>
>>49302738
>bought this set years ago
>opened it but never used it
>have to move, pack all my /tg/ up into a few huge boxes
>couldn't get back into the hobby right away so left everything in storage
>decide to come back in a big way
>open up one of the boxes
>this stuff had busted open and leaked over everything
>loose models, bits boxes, untouched sprues
>some of my favorite pieces, permanently frozen in a piss yellow carbonite

Please proceed with caution, whomever buys this stuff. It ain't fuckin' around.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>49303058
Another Deathwatch Veteren. Using the old metal Grey Knight halberd to gray effect with the new tower shields. Really like the Spartan look going on.
>>
File: Untitled2.png (220KB, 401x292px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.png
220KB, 401x292px
>>49303259
Ravenwing is a good one. I'm kinda leaning towards something more along the lines of the sacred standards/Deathwing though.

To be honest though I prefer the old ravenwing banner over the new one. Not sure what the weird snake thing. Excuse the tiny image.
>>
>>49303999
Looks good anon.
>>
Hi, I'm wondering how to add stonework texture to MDF buildings, whether or not the carved DAS technique would work and if there is a preferable option.
>>
>>49295272
Is it going to be mounted on something? Cus the legs look all kinds of wrong for him to be standing
>>
How big a drill bit and magnets should be to magnetize an Imperial Knight?
>>
>>49302629
Take it to a recycle plant, that shits poisonous, you don't want to fuck arround with too much of it
>>
File: _20160912_160139428.jpg (807KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
_20160912_160139428.jpg
807KB, 2048x1152px
WIP warlord titan :)

I just ordered Legio Mortis titan legion decal.

but I like imperium symbol more than admech's
>>
So, I just picked up three rhinos from a friend who no longer needs 'em--two of 'em are bare, but one of them has been primed with Army Painter white.

My question is: do I need to strip the primer off before I prime it with desert yellow from Army Painter? The white coat seems pretty thin.
>>
>>49304594
The WIP thread has to be the most nanny state-like thread ever man, if it's not resin inhalation it's spray cans exploding, and if it's not that it's going to A&E over craft knife cuts.

This guy has 75 lbs of lead, that's a shitload to just have lying around, they likely know not to lick it.
>>
>>49304724
>resin inhalation
I don't know about you m8 but at work I wear PPE, why wouldn't I at home when working on resin, MDF or airbrushing?

Anyway, there was this out of production flexible latexy product really good for coating tree armatures. Reasonably firm surface, but flexible and elastic so it worked well on branches prone to being bumped.

Anybody know of a similar product?
>>
>>49276316
Maybe the Necromunda ranges? There are Diggas fron GorkaMorka too (they're Tech-Savages though). GW also released a range of Human Imperial Psy-dudes for 2nd ed 40k. They're wearing fancy frock-coats and carrying autoguns/laspistol etc.
>>
>>49278675
>>49278774

Think its a technique called "Metallic non-metallic metal" 'MNMM' (Rather than non-metallic metal, which is metallics using normal paints, rather than the shiny ones).
>>
>>49276316
>>49304917
Necromunda used to have militia miniatures, i.e. armed citizenry.

These days I'd say have a look through the copplestone and foundry future/gang wars ranges and you should find something that fits to the old GW models.
Heresy might have something useful too.
>>
Why ain't these threads honestly called "Space marines thread"?
>>
>>49305175
Because people post plenty of miniatures from various different product lines and manufacturers, the most common being 40k, AoS, Malifaux and Infinity, although you sometimes see some Battletech or historicals.
That's why.
>>
>>49305175
Why do people complain about the statistic certainty of people posting minis from the most popular range of the most popular tabletop game?
There are quite a lot of people post minis from other games.

Instead of complaining about a non-issue you could be posting some of your non-gw minis instead.
>>
>>49289306

Any decent art store has this I recon, I just walked into my local one and found it near the brushes.
>>
>>49299224
Wetblend, i didnt drybrush at all
>>
>>49291161

That's very good, though you're taking a picture of mainly light blue miniatures against a mainly light blue background. Got any plans for basing them yet?
>>
>>49291340

Cool but hard to transport.
>>
>>49302404

Aliexpress sells kits with 0.3 mm bits for 4 dollar.
>>
>>49305602
New thread.
>>
>>49304724
Hey, if you want to go mad as a hatter due to using FUCKING LEAD (stuff that has stopped being used by even chinamen cus it will royally fuck you up) that is totally your choice. But you only have yourself to blame when they find you running arround in the street with panties on your head singing a particularly rude song about hedgehogs
>>
>>49305760
>lead making you mad
>lead not being used all over in china
It's not used for models because resin is cheaper and lighter, they stuff it in paint all the same.
>>
>>49305760
Handling it isn't a problem if you clean your hands afterwards.
If he is casting metal he'll use gloves, goggles etc anyway. Did you ever get a wayward drop of hot metal into your eye? Not fun.
People who do things like that need to read up and take the time to prepare for it.

That aside your idea of what lead poisoning would look like is hilarious, but a fiction non the less.

And street vendors in china make noodles out of plastic fucking up their customers kidneys for good. Nobody gives a fuck in china.
>>
>>49283486
THE GOD ENGINE WALKS!

Best perspective I´ve seen of it, great work so far Anon.
>>
>>49283486

that thumbnail looks like a scifi diorama, rather than just a benchtop WIP
that dodgy lighting makes your wall look like some really nasty polluted atmosphere.
basically, awesome!
>>
What happened to that dude who was painting his graduation gift with a lava scheme? I'm really looking forward to any progress.
>>
>>49305760
You're thinking of mercury, that's the stuff that puts mad in the hatter.
Thread posts: 337
Thread images: 94

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.