[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 30

File: dead again.jpg (37KB, 400x313px) Image search: [Google]
dead again.jpg
37KB, 400x313px
Board Game General
Why even bother edition

Previous casualty >>49098177

Links and shit - http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

I'm bored as fuck, had to work on sunday, so why the hell not.

>What did you get to play this weekend (if at all)?
>What has boardgaming taught you over the years?
>You get ONE gaming related wish, what is it?
>>
Got to play Apples to Apples for the first time in forever with some friends, which was pretty nice.
Some people strategize too much.
The every other night was game night, and that my friends and I were all free more often.

Also, are there any good games that can be run for around 6 players? We've got most of the basics and were planning on trying out some more complex stuff.
>>
is Escape actually fun? I know tons of people love it, but whenever I watch a video of it I just feel like I wouldn't enjoy it.
to be fair I've not played real time games, but the super frantic games like Space Alert and Escape look like they'd be too much for me, while a game like Fuse seems a bit more my speed
>>
First full game of Keyflower in the bag. Had an easier time teaching it than I thought I would.
Strategies all around were shaky to say the least, and we all played nice instead of trying to fuck people over. I think that'll change now that we have a feel for how the game works.
Will definitely recommend if you're into eurogames.

Math is everywhere. Play is necessary for sanity. I will never understand people, but one's gotta deal with them.

Wish I could live off of the hobby.

>>49171879
I don't enjoy being rushed. Real time games ain't my jam.
>>
File: I can haz mecatol rex.jpg (29KB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
I can haz mecatol rex.jpg
29KB, 360x270px
>>49171222
>Also, are there any good games that can be run for around 6 players?

Rex is excellent with 6 players.
>>
>>49171009

Fury of the Dracula with 9 players, two players to a character. Was fucking chaotic but fun. Won as Dracula by the skin of my teeth and only because of an early fuck up. Hiding out on that little island and then using Wolf Form from sea really got my ass out of a bind.

Being able to lose with grace and humour is a key life lesson. And always get the chance to play games with your parents when you can, because you won't always get to.

As lame as it sounds, one more game with my dad.
>>
>>49172983

>Always get the chance to play games with your parents when you can, because you won't always get to.
>one more game with my dad.

Goddamn it, anon, that hit home hard. Dad's getting old and he wears my patience out...
Gotta spend some more time with him.

Fuck you, anon, I didn't need these feels.
Also, thank you.
>>
File: 1428808925607.gif (1MB, 300x275px) Image search: [Google]
1428808925607.gif
1MB, 300x275px
>really liked One Night Ultimate Werewolf
>didn't like the expansion; relics ruined the flow
>really liked Love Letter
>liked Coup
>likewise Coup's expansion kind of ruined the flow, but it's still pretty good
>Hanabi is good but is very group dependent
>Sushi Go is good but too simple

I have these on my interest list:

- Mascarade
- Skull
- Lost Legacy

Any of these you suggest or perhaps some others you can think of? We like games of bluffing, deduction, logic.

>very often we play 2 people
>often we play 3 or 4 people
>we sometimes play 5 people
>almost never do we go 6 people
>never ever >6 people
>>
>>49172983
>Being able to lose with grace and humour is a key life lesson.

Only for losers...
>>
>>49175220

Codenames
Ca$h & Guns
>>
>>49175220
I would say you should get Mascarade right away since you like ONUW, but it's best with more players. I'd never play it with 2 and even 4 is just barely cutting it.

Codenames is great, but again it's best with 4+ people. I think it's worth owning since literally anyone can enjoy playing it. it's a good game at 4, and a fantastic game at 6 or 8
>>
>>49175408
So how does a winner react when he loses?
>inb4 never lose. That's bullshit and you know it
>>
>>49175632

With grace and humor. It's just a game, after all.
>>
>>49171009
>get to play
The King Is Dead
Keyflower
Castles of Burgandy
Arcadia Quest + Beyond the Grave
skipped the meetup today because meh it's going downhill. I might go tomorrow instead
>what has it taught me
Value your friends. Seriously. You need to keep in touch with the people you like for this whole hobby to work
>one wish
someone in my area invites me to a game of Megacivilization
>>49171879
It's not for everyone but it was fun that one time. Probably loses its luster after a few plays though
>>
>>49175220
>Bluffing, deduction, logic

Like Sushi Go, but deeper - 7 Wonders (plays 3 to 7 beautifully)
Paranoia and fingerpointing - The Resistance, Shadows over Camelot, Dead of Winter, Secret Hitler
Bluffing and bluff-calling - Liar's Dice, Mafia de Cuba, Two Rooms and a Boom
Trying to keep a straight face while roleplaying a smuggling baker - Sheriff of Nottingham
Manhunt - Mr Jack, Sherlock Holmes Consultant Detective, Letters from Whitechapel, Fury of Dracula
>>
>>49175220
If you're ok with a generic anime look, and something a bit heavier than your usual games, Tragedy Looper is a 3v1 game where the 3 players are trying to figure out a set of predetermined NPC roles. The solo player has access to nearly all information in the game, and is actively working to hinder their efforts. It is a game of deduction and logic (for the 3 players). Not really bluffing for the solo player, but lots of misdirection.
>>
>>49177863
I've been describing that as one person laughing maniacally while the rest play the sort of deduction game clue wishes it could be.

Fucking love it but it's pretty stressful for the mastermind. My best friend screwed up the first time he tried mastermind and we won on the first loop. He now refuses to mastermind. Luckily I enjoy being mastermind and have been pretty good at making the games very close every time. I just need a lot of cool down after because I feel the pressure to give the other players a fun experience. New scripts when
>>
which co-op dungeon crawling card game is the best?
warhammer quest, pathfinder, or lord of the rings?

obviously lord of the rings wins replay value with its billions of expansions, but warhammer quest seems like it's the best mechanically
>>
How do you guys pitch a game that you know has solid mechanics but incredibly weak theme to your group? I had trouble pitching and explaining Cthulhu Realms to my friends that the app came out before I could physically play it (they enjoyed it once they played it though, and got the app for themselves), and Arboretum is looking like another one that I'll have trouble with. Any tips other than saying 'we're building a park with trees!'?

>>49180601
There's a rumor FFG might stop releasing Warhammer products, so be wary of that too. Arkham Horror LCG is also a co-op game coming out this year.
>>
>>49171009

>I'm bored as fuck, had to work on sunday, so why the hell not.
I did too :s

>>What did you get to play this weekend (if at all)?
Played my first game of libertalia, just bought it, only played once though. Played cosmic encounter twice. Played dixit once. Played king of tokyo a bunch of times. Recently bought dark moon and hoping to play it soon but probably wont be able to due to not having time or the right group.

>>What has boardgaming taught you over the years?
I only started boardgaming "seriously" thsi last june, so up until then it wasnt really a hobby if mine and i mainly played monopoly, and cards against humanity.
I guess id say its taught me that there's always more to the story if you're willing to read into things. Its also taught me that games arent themselves fun but are the vessels through which people can unlock their fun potential, not sure how much sense that makes... lol surely i have more to learn.

>>You get ONE gaming related wish, what is it?
This one is easy for me because i wish for this everyday and that is to have a gamer group of friends. Im not lonely or anything, i have friends, they just aren't as interested in games as i am. I want a group of friends with whom i could meet regularly to play board games! I wanna be able to finally play descent 2.0 and TI3. I want to have friends who are into the hibby and will have their own games, and possibly be willing to all chip in to buy games together as sort of a community game. I want to meet people who are excited to learn a new game.

Im looking forward to hearing others answers
>>
>>49171009
My one wish is for Asmodee to lose all financial backing and collapse so we don't end up with needless price hikes.
>>
>>49171009
Not a single one.

No one really cares that much or even remembers who won whatever game however long ago, but everyone remembers a well-timed stab in the back.

To never need a game that's out of print.

>>49171222
>Also, are there any good games that can be run for around 6 players? We've got most of the basics and were planning on trying out some more complex stuff.

>Rex
I've actually only played Dune which Rex is based on, but what I've heard is that Rex is also a great game. I'd recommend Dune, but finding a copy can be hard and/or expensive, and imo there needs to be a few added house rules. Also this game only really shines at 6 players.

>Dominant Species
Pretty heavy worker placement euro with some bite. At 6 players this game more or less becomes a game of how much of an asshole you can be to the other players while covering your own ass. Works very well from 4-6 players imo, never played it with less.

>Struggle of Empires
Euro with some wargaming elements from what I remember, haven't played this in a long while but it was fun, that much I remember. At 7 players (max count) it could get a bit drawn out though, given negotiations and bickering at the table. Great with 5-7 players.

>Here I Stand
Not "more complex" but rather a hell of a lot more complex, but worth a mention anyway. Another game that shines at 6 players.

>Antike II
Euro with some combat. Not played this game for a while, though that's been more of a player count issue.

>Citadels
Actually not that complex, but a really fun little card/bluffing/city building game. At 6 players if you play it as two teams vs each other it gets really fun imo. Thought it merited a mention.

>Mare Nostrum: Empires + Atlas
Only played the old MN, and this seems even better given the rules changes.
>>
>>49175220
Stockpile
>>
So I finally got around to playing an acquaintance's Kingdom Death game. I liked it, but not as much as I'd hoped.

Amongst other things, it just felt a bit too slow. I was the only new player, the others had all played quite a few games and we got through 5 years in 6 or so hours. What's usual for you?

I'd like it more solo, or even as a videogame, though it'd lose its uniqueness and just be another dark fantasy roguelike then.
>>
>What did you get to play this weekend (if at all) ?
Shadows of Brimstone solo.
Well, I'm a sore loser, but playing with other sore losers taught me to better myself. I dunno how people can even stand this shit.
Just want to play more often, also, side wish : I wish I wasnt the one who had to learn all the rules. Yeah, that's two, but first one is boring.

>>49171879

I FUCKING LOVE ESCAPE. But if you dont like what you see in the vids, you probably wont like it. It's exactly how it looks. One of my top 10 games to be perfectly honest.

>>49171222

I like playing cosmic encounters with 6 players. Can't think of anything else, usually the group is 5 players max.
>>
Nothing over the weekend (I decided not to go to my regular meetup, on account of just not feeling it) but I did get to play Sentinels of the Multiverse last Thursday. Have to say, it was better than I expected - kinda reminiscent of Legendary, but it had its own little twists.
How to lose graciously.
That I had enough time and friends to play all the games in my collection.
>>49171879
I'm not a big fan of THROW DICE THROW DICE RUSH RUSH RUSH ISN'T THIS FUN games, but you should at least try it.
>>
>>49182270
>everyone remembers a well-timed stab in the back.
Amen brotha.

Then there are "20 years from then, we still share a laugh" backstabs, and there are "friendship ruined forever" backstabs. which are sorta funny too in sort of a bitter way
>>
Nada

I'm a worse strategist/tactician than I think of myself.
Having an insane dedicated group of people to sperg out with.
>>
>>49171009
Friday Twilight Struggle and teaching Great War, Neurshima Hex. Saturday couple of games of King of Tokyo ditto Scythe

I'm somewhat prone to accidental elementary error

that VR tabletop or 'holotable' becomes a real affordable thing.
>>
>>49171222
>A big co-op BSG or Eldritch Horror works ok.
>>
>>49171009
So far Captain Sonar and Dead Last - both still riding early play hype, but I think they'll stay very solid. Maybe some more games tonight.
This guy >>49172983 and this guy >>49177019 >>49182270 this guy have all mine.
Just more gaming, and more people to share it with.

>>49171222
>6 players
>>49172936 is dead right with Rex, best thing I've ever played for six.

>>49175220
Mascarade is great. Skull is too simple, but works well, try it with playing cards. If your group was bigger, I'd suggest Mafia de Cuba in a heartbeat, but it doesn't really turn on until six. I might try One Night Revolution, it's pretty similar to ONUW, but is a bit more complicated of a brain teaser, takes a lot of work and trust to untangle that game, even with as few as four or five. Also Melee, for a quick dudes-on-a-map with bluffing elements that works great at 2-4.
>>
File: trag.png (21KB, 466x304px) Image search: [Google]
trag.png
21KB, 466x304px
>>49180403
Soon. There's also a site where people can upload custom scripts but no-one uses it.
>>
>>49171222
A couple of anons mentioned Keyflower. It scales very well from 2 to 6. Sweet spot is 4, I think.
>>
File: image.jpg (25KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 500x500px
>open BGG
>scythe rank: 15
When this meme end?
>>
>>49187365

This, love the artists work but the game seems very uninspired to me
>>
>>49187365
Scythe is shit?
>>
>>49187739
Literally Eurogame#65535
Art is AMAZING
But the whole game is just a combined of popular mechanics
Especially the rule of fighting is a big failed to me
Why I have to suffer penalty if I win a battle
That's make no sense to the theme
>>
It's seem like any KS game will get automatically +1 rating in BGG nowadays
>>
>>49188011
People not liking you for kicking them out of their workplace is against the theme?
>>
>>49187365
Maybe when Pandemic Cashgrab #139 gets the boot too.
>>
>>49188011
>Why I have to suffer penalty if I win a battle
>That's make no sense to the theme
civilian casualties are not a route to popularity

fight where citizens aren't
>>
>>49185098
Thanks, didn't realize I could already pre-order.
>>
How old must a game be to be considered 'cult of the new'? 2 years? 5 years?
>>
>>49191057
when I think cult of the new I think typically not older than 2 years. most often they're kickstarter games and they haven't even hit full retail yet. like scythe
>>
>>49191057
Wouldn't 'Brand new' and 'Over-hyped' make it "Cult of the new" and not something 2 to 5 years old.
>>
File: 2016-01-08-59-LGRollables.50327.jpg (77KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-08-59-LGRollables.50327.jpg
77KB, 950x534px
>>49171009
>>You get ONE gaming related wish, what is it?
to have a poster sized roll-up/folding touchscreen so I can carry infinite games around with computer ruletracking and instant setup and takedown.
>>
I'm considering getting mice and mystics and pandemic legacy for coop games. I think they're pretty safe bets, but any opinions here?
>>
>>49191543
Mice and Mystics is hit or miss. If you like the theme, enjoy storytelling and don't mind a couple of mechanical flaws, it might suit you nicely. Good for playing with kids, too.

If you're a nitpicker that obsesses over perfect mechanics and can't into game immersion, you'd probably best avoid it.
>>
In case any of you are interested, my friends and I run a podcast where we play through video games in one sitting, then talk about it.

This week we played the VHS board game Nightmare!

https://soundcloud.com/overplayedpodcast/nightmare

Also I'd love to talk about VHS board games more if anyone is interested
>>
>>49192067

Game's shit. But I love it. It's one of the only "nostalgia" games that I still play from time to time. I have Nightmare II through IV, the harbingers, the soul rangers, and both DVD games.

Might listen to your podcast when I'm painting minis.
>>
>>49192162
Yeah, it's definitely not amazing. Pretty much a mediocre game in which a man yells at you. We have all the expansions too but only played the base game and II for this podcast. Are any of the others good?
>>
>>49191267
I guess, yeah, hype is more of a factor in cult of the new.
But I think it's interesting that around 22% of the top 500 games in BGGs ranking were released in 2014 or later. 30% if you go back to 2013.
>>
>>49188011
On the contrary, Scythe's battle system is great. Unless you want a dedicated war game, in which case why are you playing Scythe?
>>
>>49192246

They're pretty much more of the same. Part IV (Elisabeth Bathory) has a reputation for being impossible to win. I only played it once (and yes, we lost)

Atmosfear the Harbingers has some mechanical improvements but the tape is sort of meh. The Soul Rangers adds a few fun things like card based combat and the tape is hilarously awful. Crazy 90's bordering on the acid trip.

The "gatekeeper" dvd game a pretty cool update of the original, pretty much the exact same game, but the dvd has multiple outcomes so you never get the exact same game twice. Never played the Khufu dvd game, I'm a frenchfag, and the english dvd is a tough sell for most of my friends.
>>
>>49192490
Honestly, we lost at the original and part II so I'm surprised it only gets harder (seemingly). The second one was so fucking chaotic near the end that it was almost unplayable.
>>
>>49171222
if you are for a gargantuan afternoon and 9 hours of battle, check out Twilight Imperium 3
>>
>>49192067
Holy shit yeah. I remember the sequel some voodoo zombie baron and the 3rd a witch?
>>
>>49192269
I don't find that surprising - many of the older games are unknown to the newer 'internet generation' and for the most part unavailable except as the odd deal on Ebay or elsewhere. Seeing new games up near the top just tells me that those who vote are often the newer players who are excited about their 'new thing'.
>>
>>49184059
Tabletop simulator with oculus rift. There you go
>>
>>49194224
Was thinking about this but is it really practical or some novelty you'd revert from after a few games?
>>
BGG Rankings need to die.

It's plagued by the Cult of the New, biased ratings due to limited audiences for some games, biased ratings before the game is available retail, and generally shit taste from the gaming community.

Plus, I don't know if this is just confirmation bias from myself, but a lot of board gamers seem to not want to take risks and just want to follow a leader, if that makes sense. Board game podcasts/shows seem to hold way too much sway over the community at large, which sometimes leads to weird self-fulfilling loops. Tom Vasel called Vasco de Gama terrible, so people gave it bad ratings. Because it had bad ratings, people thought it was a terrible game. And don't even get me started on Geek & Sundry with their Tabletop Day bullshit.

tl;dr death to boardgamegeek
>>
>>49195322
I'm still mad that the revised version of Tannhauser is living in the shadow of it's terrible first edition rulebook because they wouldn't make a new entry for it.
>>
>>49195406

And then you have two TTAs, Dominion + Intrigue, two different editions of Viticulture, and 3 different Tickets to Ride, all in the top 100.

Again, BGG needs to die.
>>
>>49186728
One thing I don't like about the game is that boat tile bonuses don't vary. If you play primarily n-player, you never see the other 6-n bonuses. So in a way 6 is ideal because you see all of the game. Also encourages fighting over tiles more
>>49188034
It'd be nice if they could weight individual ratings based on each user's previous ratings. If you have a varied rating history, you're heavily weighted. If you have only 1s and 10s, it doesn't even register.
>>49191543
neither of those are safe bets
>>49195694
Dominion and Intrigue being separated is warranted though. How else would gamers know that Intrigue is the better first purchase?
>>
File: HERETICS.jpg (62KB, 417x384px) Image search: [Google]
HERETICS.jpg
62KB, 417x384px
>>49196307
>Dominion and Intrigue being separated is warranted though. How else would gamers know that Intrigue is the better first purchase?

But that's literally wrong, you flaming tripfag.
>>
>>49196307
>neither of those are safe bets
Safe bets in that many other sources have generally said they were good. These 2 weren't just randomly selected as "Oh well these are coop games for everyone!", Pandemic Legacy was picked because we wanted to give a legacy game another try after the disaster that was risk legacy for our group a couple years ago. Mice and Mystics was picked because we really wanted a dungeon crawler that didn't require an opposing player being the bad guy, and we really liked the theme of this one.
>>
>>49195322
To be fair BGG isn't responsible for whatever Vasel or Wheaton or SUSD produce or promote. It just provides a medium to make opinions heard, arseholes sniffed and territories pissed.
>>
Anyone else excited about the Siege of the Citadel kickstartwr launching this week?

My childhood is coming back to life and it makes me really happy.
>>
>>49199382
no.
whats so good about it?
>>
File: captainsonar1.jpg (50KB, 700x473px) Image search: [Google]
captainsonar1.jpg
50KB, 700x473px
tfw you never play with 8 people total so it'd be silly for you to get captain sonar but you really want to play it
>>
>>49200585
I saw people playing this last Armada night I went to. Was mad jealous but too awkward to go up to them and see if I might be able to play.
>>
>>49200754
You should have awkwardly hovered all around the table looking like you wanted to talk/play, looking over everyone's shoulder, breathing down their necks, mumbling to yourself "so cool!", avoiding direct eye contact until they finally either asked you if you'd like to join the table or told you to bugger off.
>>
>>49196307
Since none of the ships bring in any more workers in winter, you can take all 6 of them, shuffle and draw randomly when winter starts.
>>
>>49200585
So far, I think it's every bit as good with 6.
>>
Finally got around to playing Tiny Epic Kingdom with the Hero's Call expansion.

I liked the ideas it introduced.

The problem is that Gamelyn has absolutely failed in balancing any of it.

Most of the new races that come in the box are insanely powerful compared to the originals and are almost solely focused around dicking other people over. And in many cases, their higher tier abilities will completely exclude a single target player from being able to win due to how devastatingly powerful many of them are. And then some of them are so weak as to be almost useless.

For example: the Nymphs. Their level 2 research ability is that they can pay to magic (a very easy to acquire sum of resources) and force a war to end in an alliance, no option to fight. And then their level four ability steals an adjacent players hero, which removes their meeple from the board, and bars them from ever recruiting heroes again. That means in a single action you've cost someone four victory point (1 for having a meeple on the board, and three from the possibility of recruiting a hero) AND you've put them behind the power curve in terms of special abilities since they cannot get any more heroes.

Now lets consider another race: the Yeti. Their level 2 ability is that when gathering resources, they can knock over one of their meeples to gain an extra resource from that zone. Their level four allows them to instead gain two extra resources from that zone. While this might sound interesting and useful, remember that if you want that guy to move anywhere you now have to sacrifice an action to stand him up. So you've traded essentially two actions (one gather and one patrol) to get three resources, netting you one extra resource. That's absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. Not to mention that their fifth tier ability gives them points for having their people in territories that are unoccupied by other players meeples, which is NOT going to happen with how cut-throat Hero's Call is.
>>
>>49203548
And the heros are just as imbalanced. Most of them are useful, but some are just blisteringly over powered. For example, the Knight, he reduced you war costs by two for both attacking and defending when you level him up. That's a nice boost if you're on the war path. Or the Engineer, who gathers two ore if he's on a mountain, and when leveled up if he walks into a mountain space he can build there immediately. Nice abilities with some focused restrictions.

And then there's the assassin. When the assassin goes into combat, they can pay three ore and immediately win the combat no questions asked. Just kill the meeple and move on. Or the Alchemist who when leveled up can essentially gather two wild resources from ANYWHERE. This provides insane flexibility and you'll never be lacking in ANY vital resource.

I like Tiny Epic Kingdoms even though the balance is a little wonky, but in Hero's Call any flittering vestige at attempted balance is chucked straight out the window. Things vary so widely in strength that you'd have to literally separate them into tiers and only plays games with heros and races in certain tiers.

The scores in the game we played were thusly:
Yeti(HC): 8 points
Mountain Trolls(I think)(HC): 10 points
(Can't remember the race)(Original): 12 points
Nypmhs(HC): 24 points

As a note in that game once everyone realized how far ahead the nymph player was, which was about halfway through the game, everyone tried to gang up on them but they had so much magic that they constantly negated every war with them and continued on churning out ridiculous amounts of points and lietrally ignoring three players going from their throat.
>>
>>49199059
If you know what you're getting into with legacy, fine. I think you still run the risk of...whatever disaster you're referring to--to that happening again. It doesn't get any easier for friends to sit down for a campaign-style game, even if everyone wants to.

Mice and Mystics I've heard is hit or miss. Many feel as though it lacks gameplay depth due to having to appeal to kids.

Have you considered Mage Knight co-op mode? Slower game but infinitely more depth.

>>49202670
good idea, if you don't mind not knowing which bonuses are in the game until winter. I'd probably do that at the beginning of the game and write them down
>>
>>49203548
>>49203751
And continuing the rant:

And these sort of imbalances are why I dislike Tiny Epic Galaxies as well.

While I love the mechanics and dice activation and such of the game, the randomly available planets absolutely break the balance of the game.

The planets will vary in terms of how many victory points they're worth (1, 2, 3, 5, or 7). And each VP value requires a certain number of dice activations to colonize.

1 vp costs 2 activations
2 vp costs 3 activations
3 vp costs 4 activations
5 vp costs 5 activations
7 vp costs 6 activations

This means that if only 1 through 3 VP planets are available to you on your turn, you're making around .5~.75 VP per die. However, if you have a 5 or 7 VP planet available to you on your turn, you are making 1~1.14 VP per die. Literally DOUBLE the value of VP 1-3. And that's not all. The powers on the 7 VP planets are way better than the powers on the lower VP planets. You'd think it'd be the other way around but apparently Gamelyn likes runaway leaders. The special power of a 1 VP planet might be: Gain 1 energy, or Gain 1 culture. While the 7 VP planets might be: Gain culture equal to the number of ships on your home planet, or Move a ship to another planet's colony track at the same level.

If those big planets are available to you on your turn, congratulations, you're no massively ahead of everyone else.

I'd be more forgiving if these games actually played out in their dictated time frame of 30 minutes, or I'd prefer something more like 20 minutes. but no. They realistically take about an hour to play with any more than just two people. The only way to hit thirty minutes if you just did things as fast as you could and never paused.

And for these games to be so incredibly random and unbalanced for an hour to play is just inexcusable and very poor design.
>>
Got my first play of Grand Austria Hotel last night. Really enjoyed it once I figured out the particulars. Very fast at two players

>>49200585
I played Capt Sonar last night too. Only turn-by-turn because we're shit at this game

My friend was bored af as the engineer. Might be because it wasn't the kind of game he was looking for, might be because turn-by-turn is too slow in that role (first mate probably is worse honestly). 6-player works even better than 8 in turn-by-turn to give the engineer/first mate more to do.

I was looking at picking this game up but now I decided I got my fill
>>
>>49199956
Siege was the boardgame that introduced me to Mutant Chronicles, which in turn introduced me to miniatures gaming, so it holds a pretty fond place in my heart.

I also remember it being lots of fun ina semi-cooperative way.
>>
Went to see a sick friend yesterday and played Forbidden Desert and Carcassonne with him and his GF. They're casual as fuck, but they had a good time, which is nice, since my buddy hasn't been outside for almost a month.

Also, Forbidden Desert may be "better", but I got to play Forbidden Island a few weeks ago and liked it more.
Not because of the mechanics or anything, but the sinking island tiles gave me a real feeling of dread and urgency, whereas the sandstorm is just an annoyance that pushes you around and gets sand in your boots, pfff.
>>
>>49203825
The problem with Risk Legacy is half our group hated Risk, myself included. We love getting a chance to play stuff like Twilight Imperium and other games of the genre but Risk was just too brain dead steam rolly for us. The 2 that liked Risk tried to tell us legacy would fix that but after 2 sessions at the end of the day it was still same old Risk.

Mage Knight was recommended but I'm thrown off by the infinitely more depth here. Armies and conquering kingdoms, it's not the dungeon crawl we're looking for.
>>
>>49203939
Interesting analysis of the VP system in T.E.G. Any ideas of a 'house-rules' fix? Or would it require a complete revamp in your opinion?

>>49204900
I like both Island & Desert in their own way as well. I'd agree that Island has more 'urgency', but I like Desert for the fact that everyone really has to coordinate, and the sun can be punishing. (And despite having some hardcore games, I still enjoy Carcassonne {and other casual games} a lot too.)
>>
>>49205241
I've only thought about it a little but everything I could think of ends up trailing back to a complete revamp of the planets/VP/colony track/abilities.

I personally think that the low VP planets should have high value skills to make them worth taking and the high VP planets should how low value skills to balance the cheaper die costs. As it stands there is absolutely no reason to ever take a 1 or 2 VP planet unless you have no other options or require it for your secret objective. And even then it's still almost never worth it, Might as well just stock resources and hope you get a better planet draw on your next turn.

I've additionally considered giving each player two 3VP planets and letting them choose one to keep at the start so everyone has a starting unique ability and then raising the VP threshold for end game by 3. Might make it more interesting.

But I don't have the time, skill, or desire to re-design it. I'm probably just going to end up selling Hero's Call and TEG.
>>
File: 1404132162411.jpg (27KB, 300x276px) Image search: [Google]
1404132162411.jpg
27KB, 300x276px
Not exactly a board game, but for lack of a card game general, can anyone tell me about A Game of Thrones Card Game Second Edition?

I've played one game, but I can't tell, is it any good? Is it better than first edition? Is it always so slow?
>>
Anybody able to recommend a thunderstone alternative?

Im aware of ascension and have just gotten the app on my phone in irder to test it out, not sure how i feel about it yet but already like a few things that dominion didn't have.

Thunderstone seems like the ideal game for what i want but as we all know that shits oop af dawg.... i know theres a new edition coming out but still i wonder what else is out there. Also, got an idea as to when new thunderstone will be released? Thanks!
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (136KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
136KB, 1280x720px
Why does this asshole get so much power over boardgames? Can we get someone other than this joker and his 2 fuck buddies to do reviews or is the hobby just too expensive for anyone to even try and start up a decent review show?
>>
>>49206839
He's not THAT bad - his biases are obvious and usually well acknowledged, the amount of content his team puts out is immense, the only real issues they have are mostly production related (though why they ever let Sam try to explain the rules to anything is beyond me).

And production value is where their competition has decided to focus, eg Tabletop and SUSD, at the expense of relatively little content, and stronger bias problems from the reviewers / players.
>>
>>49206674
>I've played one game, but I can't tell, is it any good?

Yes.

>Is it better than first edition?

I'm probably biased towards 1st edition, but A Game of Thrones LCG has gone through a similar growth between editions like Magic did- it's become more streamlined and casual.

That doesn't make it bad, but I personally still prefer 1st edition if nothing else than for having a vastly bigger card pool with more variety. There are other grievances but they're smaller and mostly opinion.

>Is it always so slow?

It can be. Joust tournaments give 55-65 minutes for one game and you can hit that time limit easily. Melee games either go super-fast or take forever with the leading player being ganged up on repeatedly.
>>
>>49206816
>shits oop af
Rumor has it there's a 3d ed coming up soon
>>
>>49206839
Because he's spent thousands of hours dedicated to reviewing hundreds of boardgames?
Even if his tastes and personality rub you the wrong way, you gotta admire his dedication.
>>
>>49206951
Yeah im aware, but i cant find any information about it online... would love to find a good deal on the thunderstone advance games, but maybe i should just wait for the new edition. >Any idea as to when it will be released?
I don't have the slightest clue, is it months away? Years? I got no idea!

>Anyways... id love to also know if anybody >can recommend a decent alternative.
I have dominion and wouldnt consider this an alternative. Ascension is the only thing that i could find really, and im not too aure about it. >Anybody have an opinion on ascension?
>>
>>49206839
Holy shiz dude! 'Daddy Issues' much?

1. Other than some companies hope he'll give their games a favorable review, what power exactly does he hold over board games? It's not like he's hunting down designers and beating them into submission or setting game publishing schedules for fuck's sake.

2. Try getting off your lazy ass and looking. There's multiple game reviewers listed in the pastebin in the OP.

3. Obviously you've never seen the complete train-wreak that is Will Wheaton's series on board gaming.
>>
Is Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition really that good? I like the idea of app integration to cut down on convoluted setup rules and help randomization, but it looks like the app does so much that the boardgame is just there as a novelty at that point.
>>
>>49207298
Get the app and play on Tabletop Simulator.
>>
>>49207298

>but it looks like the app does so much that the boardgame is just there as a novelty at that point.

This is one of the reasons why I don't like app required board games
>>
>>49207298
I really, really like it.

It's impossible to play without the physical components, so is the question, "should they have just made it a video game?"

I think it'd be a shit video game, but then again, people play Talisman digitally so I'm sure they'd find an audience.

They'd have to add lots more UI and an actual monster AI to the game, at minimum. I think stuff like that is beyond FFG's capability.
>>
>>49207677
I was tempted to get it but seeing how app focused it is made me not want it.
>>
>>49207677
I can get behind the idea of app based boardgames. It just threw me off really hard when I saw the entire board and where things were was shown on the app.

>>49207696
What physical components does the app leave to you? I'm genuinely trying decide on this game or not seeing as my group loved games like Arkham Horror and Betrayal at the House. I just don't want a game whose only existence as a boardgame is because they left you pity things to do like roll dice.
>>
>find sid meyer's civilization by ffg for $30
>this is pretty fun
>what are the expansions like
>fame and fortune is $30
>wisdom and warfare is $80
On one hand, Civ is being reprinted by FFG, so WnW is sure to follow.
On the other, fuck Asmodee.
>>
>>49172936
>rex
>excellent

nice oxymoron
>>
>>49206839
because he's been making videos since 2008

and he's been playing board games since the 90s

and because nobody else has put in as much time, money or effort, for making board gaming content

what were YOU doing in 2008? jerking off into a sock?
>>
>>49206816
nah, thunderstone is best
>>
>>49207065
If you're considering Ascension, get the phone app. It's free and has the base game in it. It'll give you taste for how it works.
>>
>>49208761
Surprised he managed to find the time in between daughter molestation sessions.
>>
>>49208730
what do you like/dislike about it?
>>
>>49206949
I'm kind of bummed because I used to play the TCG back before 1st edition and none of the cards in my old deck are in second edition.

I think it will be more fun once I get more cards, so each deck can be one house instead of two and I get a few duplicates to cull the crummy cards.
>>
Is Seafall actually good or not? People went crazy over it and my friend wants me to get it when it's back in stock, but I'm hearing both from the miami dice and other players that it doesn't keep the fun as the legacy goes on.
>>
>>49208838
Maybe he's just triggered as hell by hidden information, that's about all I can come up with.
Lazax / House Corrino are maybe a little strong, but I don't see them winning an unusual amount.
>>
>>49208838
>>49209386
or he could be one of those people who thinks it's worthless without the dune license.

I do really like the map from dune better. shame they couldn't get the license
>>
>>49209419
Yeah, maybe. I lucked out there, I explained Rex's history to my group the first time we broke it out, and they naturally fell into referring to everything by it's Dune names. Even the Lazax tanks get called Sardaukar.
>>
>>49209317
Not too thrilled about legacy games, i think it's just a gimmick, and hope the fad goes away eventually.

That being said, I haven't tried any of them, so I'm speaking out of my ass here.
>>
See

>>49208818
>>49207065 (me)
>>49206951
>>49206816 (me)
>>
>>49209524
I feel like I'm the more optimistic of the people here. In a form of media that almost lives entirely on gimmicks (and I'm not using gimmicks as a bad word here), making a game that progressively changes based off previous playthroughs to encourage a campaign is a prefectly fine one. While I dislike the angle that you destroy your components as you go attempting to make you re-buy the game for new groups, very few games have unlimited replayability already, so honestly, a game like Pandemic Legacy is giving me more playthroughs with it's 12 month setup than regular Pandemic already did, and each month is like adding a new mini expansion pack. Really assessing the value of my boardgame collection, very few games of mine get played as many times as a legacy game can be played. The only limitation is you will want a set group for it.

Then again I support a lot of controversial ideas as long as they're implemented well. Timers, app integration, goofy inclusions of props. I'll even run music sometimes.
>>
>>49208831

>I don't have an argument so I'll just accuse someone of being a pedophile

Good job.
>>
>>49209957
Alright. Opinion on Ascension.
Light, fun deckbuilder with a few distinct strategies, nothing too deep. Needs expansions for replayability.
Not as good as Thunderstone imo, but it's easier to set up and store. 5 card market often limits your choices to "which of the available cards can I afford?" Art is wonky, which can put off picky gamers.
Would I get it instead of Thunderstone? Depends.
Do you want to pay big bucks for an OOP TS box? Can you wait for a reprint? Get Thunderstone.
Do you just want a competitive non-Dominion deckbuilder where you can whack monsters? Ascension is fine.
>>
File: pic2497467_lg.jpg (260KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pic2497467_lg.jpg
260KB, 1024x768px
>>49210260
>>49207065
I'd skip the base game. since you've already played the phone version you've gotten all you need from it, and that's to get a feel for it so you're not overwhelmed by the expansions. the steam release is complete garbage, but I recommend pirating it so you can get a feel for blocks 2-4

if you didn't know, the way ascension expansions work is more like mtg blocks as opposed to actual expansions. base game + return of the fallen, storm of souls + immortal heroes, rise of vigil + darkness unleashed (my least favorite), realms unraveled + dawn of champions (probably my favorite), and then they stopped doing the block format and have released dreamscape and war of shadows, neither of which I've played.

they introduce a few new major mechanics each block, and while you could just throw every single expansion together and play one huge game, that will dilute the unique mechanics. it's recommended that you only mix the two games from the same block

take a look at this link (and the link at the beginning of it) for an in depth look at what each block offers
http://www.mechanics-and-meeples.com/2015/08/24/deckbuilding-expansion-ascension-part-two-from-vigil-to-champions/

I personally think the art improved in the third block and the art + layout was perfect in the fourth block. dreamscape and shadows have more magic like art if that's what you want. the card on the left is from the first block, the card on the right from the fourth
>>
>>49209317
According to the few full-campaign reviews, it's a slow build-up and crazy shit happens towards the end.

Doesn't help that right now most copies are still in the early games that are supposedly not as fun as the later games, and it's not widely available yet due to fucking customs.

>>49209524
Just wait until Ultimate Werewolf: Legacy coming next year!
>>
>>49210856
>Ultimate Werewolf: Legacy
Soooo dead villagers and wolves stay dead, you rip their role cards and you have to find new players for the next game?
>>
>>49211245
No idea, but here's the BGG page.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/206715/ultimate-werewolf-legacy
>>
>>49207865
I mean, rolling dice is probably the most important thing it leaves for the players to do. Without that, all visceral feeling the game provides is gone.

Other than that, all investigator and monster movement is on the table, not the app. Items and damage aren't tracked by the app either. This prevents the app from feeling like digital bookkeeping ("I move forward twice, now tap twice on the app. I dropped this item, now let's find it in the inventory pane and remove it, placing it in my space." None of that.)

Every interactive object in the app has a physical reminder on the table, which might make people think the physical stuff is a vestige of a primarily digital game. But let me put it this way: next time I see my younger cousins I'm going to set this up, make them pick investigators, and play as mansion keeper myself. I'll keep the screen mostly away from them, read from it in a spooky voice, and let you guys know how it goes afterwards. I expect mayhem... Good mayhem.
>>
File: 214qqns.jpg (375KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
214qqns.jpg
375KB, 768x1024px
Probably going to get a few games this weekend since my arsenal only consist of Arkham Horror and its kind of a drag to play it often.

Going to get
>Shadows over Camelot
>Fury of Dracula
>Love Letter
>Hanabi
>Tragedy Looper

Any of these have a particularly bad rep, or are these all solid games overall?
>>
>>49212634
Even though it's a solid game, I personally don't like Love Letter. I don't feel like there's much game in it, you have 1 card, draw 1 more, and play 1. I prefer to have more choices.
I believe the largest part of its success was that Kanai managed to get 16 cards to be a solid game, and that catapulted microgames into the spotlight.
>>
>>49212871
My mentality going into it was I get 3 solid board games that we play for an extended amount of time (Dracula, Camelot and Looper) and I get 2 really quick fastpaced games. I love Hanabi so I'll get that for sure, and I looked around for another quick game thats easy to set up and put away and saw that love letter is mostly positive I guess. Unless you got any other ideas, I wanna hear em out and possibly get something better.
>>
>>49212935
I have Sushi Go!, Coup, Biblios, Love Letter, Hanabi, Fluxx and Las Vegas for fillers
Fluxx is too random, Love Letter I don't like, Biblios is very good, if a bit dry and mathy, Hanabi is great, Las Vegas is super simple and super fun, Coup is group dependant (I can't bluff for shit and my friends know it), Sushi Go is fast paced and refreshing
>>
>>49212634
I'd only criticize shadows, it's still pretty good but it's a little expensive for what you get because of those damn little sexy catapults, and runs a little long for its depth. Otherwise not bad.
>>
>>49209957
I don't think there's currently a deckbuilder with a fantasy theme that does it better than Thunderstone. Thunderstone's specialty is the fixed market (which you randomize at the start) that gradually gets better as you buy more cards, and the monster deck which has the final boss hidden in a fixed portion of it.

I tried the Ascension app a while back, it's fine, but since each faction card only interacts with its own faction, or the effect is restricted to only that card, your deck can feel bloated a bit too quickly.

The Realms series are mostly PvP, and while quick to play, is definitely a different category of deckbuilder to Thunderstone.

The closest in feel might be Xenoshyft, since it has the same fixed market and monster deck thing, but might be a tad more difficult? Can't say.

Other deckbuilders worth mentioning are Trains, the Legendary series, and maybe A Study in Emerald?
>>
>>49209317
>and my friend wants me to get it
What's the issue with his wallet?
>>
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3751-Who-Will-Pick-Up-The-Warhammer-Licenses-Next

I hope it's not true. I want more warhammer quest quests
>>
>>49216265
Fuck Warhammer Quest, I want Tau, Deldar, 'Crons, and 'Nids in Forbidden Stars.
Course even then I'd have to buy them second hand.
>>
>Forbidden Island/Desert
>Skull
>Mascarade
>Pandemic

I can buy two, which'll it be?

>loved ONUW
>loved Love Letter
>liked Coup
>liked Hanabi
>meh'd Arkham Horror
>>
>>49214471
I have that problem too... I am the addict, my friends are the parasites.
>>
>>49217013
Neither, none of the above, null choice
>>
>>49210787
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like youre a fan of ascension.
>>49210260
Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like third edition thunderstone should be coming soon and thatd be my best bet. (ive heard october, can.anybody confirm?)
>>49213825
Xenoshyft ive heard of but havent got a good idea, how is it?
>>
>>49216593
me too brospeh, me too.
>>
anyone played The Great War by Richard Borg?
>>
>>49206839
If i don't know who he is, does that mean i live under a rock?
>>
>>49218355
Or you're just not that deep into the hobby. Vasel's very likely the most famous board game reviewer, period. And as always, famous people tend to divide opinions, some practically worship the guy while others retch at his mere mention.
>>
>>49217997
>Xenoshyft
Basically you need to survive a number of turns where each turn a group of aliens attack your base. During your turn you'll buy new soldiers, medics, maybe weapons or items to equip those soldiers with, then assign them to a position in a lane. The aliens will then fight them in order. Rinse and repeat until either your base is destroyed, or you survive a number of turns.

A neat thing about it is that your soldiers progressively get better; at a certain number of turns the stronger soldiers get unlocked, and you can even trade your previous soldiers to buy them. Another thing is that at the start of the game you choose a particular division, which will determine your starting deck and various bonuses, stronger weapons, stronger armor, etc. You'll unlock further bonuses within the division the same time as the stronger soldiers too.

The final neat thing would be co-op. When playing with 2+ players, each player controls a division, and each of you will handle 1 lane of aliens. (I think you need to protect a single base? Can't remember) Then during the whole planning phase where you assign soldiers an items, you can assign them to the other player's lanes, helping them out if they had a particularly bad draw that turn (all items for example).

The aliens are nothing to sneeze at either. Most of them have effects that make protecting a lane very hard, stuff like gaining Attack(?) when they kill a soldier, or attacking the soldier in the rear instead of the front.

Overall it's definitely the closest to Thunderstone, which is also about holding off monsters from getting out of the darkness(?), but the difficulty can turn a few players away. Maybe someone who has played it extensively can offer corrections to whatever I've written, or suggestions to make playing the game better.
>>
Decided to pull the trigger on purchasing Chaos in the Old World, figured I better do it now before FFG and GW officially announce they've parted ways and the prices skyrocket.Now if only I could find a copy of the expansion I'd be set.
>>
>>49217997
I don't know if I'm actually a fan of ascension or just a fan of the ideas behind the game.

I've only played it digitally, with most games being on that garbage pc version since it comes with all the expansions through dawn of champions. it definitely does a pretty good job of scratching the itch that playing magic casually used to do for me.

I'm not a huge fan of dominion for the same reason I don't like games like chess. I don't tend to like deterministic games where strategy a is strictly better than strategy b. I don't need games where a complete novice can easily destroy an experienced vet, but I don't want a game where you basically have no choices since there's a clear cut best strategy

I do think ascension (and other deckbuilders with a random market) do a decent job at this. there's no dominant strategy because you can't really plan out your turns 10 turns in advance. you can have a plan, but ultimately you have to roll with the punches

if I do buy ascension though, I think I'm going to try a variant where 2/6 cards are always monster cards. it's annoying when all 6 are monsters, so you build an attack heavy deck, then once you defeat the 6 no more monster cards are drawn

also it might be different in person, but it seems like a game that is only good 2 players. you could keep upping the player count if you have expansions (since they all contain the base game) but 3 player vs ai didn't seem fun at all.

>>49218644
I've been tempted to get fury of dracula
>>
>>49218959
I both own and enjoy Fury of Dracula, but do your research before purchasing as there are several games with similar gameplay and you might enjoy another one more.
>>
>>49214471
I'm the one with the best job of us, but not unlimited funds. I would personally get Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition for our October games as a thematically appropriate one, but I would feel weird doing that given almost every game I played lately was coop. Seafall I'm not convinced on. 2 and a half hour game sessions, Legacy that stretches it's fun events too thin, a really wonky and slow feeling of progression. My friend would call me a casual for it, but I don't think I could stomach all that.
>>
File: 1455045982037.jpg (159KB, 729x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1455045982037.jpg
159KB, 729x1000px
I like coup and pandemic and was wondering would Hanabi be right my alley, what are the negatives of that game?
>>
>>49218959
I feel the same way

I dont like ganes that are "solvable" or that have an objectively best move that you can analyze somehow. Kinda tajes the fun out if it for me.
>>
>>49218644
Get the expansion too, Horned Rats are a great faction, they provide a 5p experience and balance out a 3p game (base game 3p is either slow as shit cuz no Khorne, or Khorne wins, if you use Khorne, Nurgle, and Rat they balnce pretty well ime).
>>
File: P7230763.jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
P7230763.jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
>gf introduced me to board games
>really like pic related
>she doesn't enjoy the game

;w;
>>
>>49221036
Post her tits.
>>
File: tits.jpg (55KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
tits.jpg
55KB, 960x960px
>>49221048
>>
File: IMG-20160810-WA0004.jpg (80KB, 972x1296px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160810-WA0004.jpg
80KB, 972x1296px
>>49221036

>she doesn't enjoy Isle of Skie

Dump her
>>
>>49221036
What DOES she like? There's so much damn good stuff out there it shouldn't be a problem to satisfy you both.
>>
File: casual games v4.png (3MB, 1878x1672px) Image search: [Google]
casual games v4.png
3MB, 1878x1672px
>>49221036
I'll just leave this here...
>>
>>49219637
Hanabi is a game that depends entirely on the group of people playing, and the fun can be easily spoiled.
It's a delicate balance that can be tipped to either boredom or rage. Don't take it seriously and it's no fun. Take it too seriously and it's no fun.
Tryhards, cheaters, airheads, lolrandumb guys can wreck a game of Hanabi. It is a great game, but it's not a game I'll play with just anyone.
>>
>>49221105
>buttcrack.jpg
>>
>>49219588
So, tell your friend if he wants that game so badly he should pitch in. It's your cash , you get to decide how to spend it.
>>
>>49221036
>>49221105
p-please sir I want some more
>>49221999
saved/10
>>
File: WHQSilverTowerHeroesENG_Slot2.jpg (66KB, 400x295px) Image search: [Google]
WHQSilverTowerHeroesENG_Slot2.jpg
66KB, 400x295px
Question... Warhammer Quest Silver Tower or Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game ? The price difference is huge.. but im not sure if its worth it. Lets say miniatures are not relevant. Your opinions ?
>>
>>49226771

Both are pretty fiddly, but Silver Tower definitely has a lot more going on with it and it is a deeper game in that respect, however, it is far, far too thin for the price tag.

The ACG is not very complex. You will spawn monsters and assign them accordingly (to players as darkness according to the location revealed), then you roll your dice and a die for each enemy engaged with you and active when you try to do anything.

You also have to explore the location, the tankier builds need to pull enemies away from bros, and other key choices while you play.

It also isn't very deep and you can run through the campaign in about two sessions. It is far easier to setup and play, it does a good job of giving you a good group feel, and the speed is pretty fast between turns.

While I like ACG more than Silver Tower, I cannot honestly say either of them are games that will hit my table all that much because I have a bunch of other games I prefer playing over them.
>>
thnak you. any better options on that department ? coop dungen crawl ? with no DM. I have the D&D boardgames and they are super simple but fun.
>>
>>49226964
Descent has a recently released app that eliminates the keeper, it is generally regarded as a better game than the D&D ones.
>>
File: Nuclear Tesuji.jpg (117KB, 467x700px) Image search: [Google]
Nuclear Tesuji.jpg
117KB, 467x700px
I don't know if this is the right place for this, but does anyone else play Go (aka Igo, Weiqi, or Baduk)? I used to play with friends in school, but that was nearly 10 years ago. I just picked it back up playing online.

I'm still pretty bad, but making progress.
>>
Rate my collection, /tg/

Descent 2nd edition (all expansions, lieutenant figs, and monster and hero packs released so far)
Warhammer ACG
Drako
Fury of Dracula
Call of Cthulhu LCG (everything for it)
Warhammer Invasion LCG (everything for it)
Android Netrunner base game (Didn't like it)
Zombicide (plue black plague)
Arcadia Quest
Gears of War The Board Game
Mage Wars (Arena, Academy, Domination, everything)
Battle of Indies
Millennium Blades
Mage Knight the board game (total piece of shit)
Darkest Night
Magic Arena of the Planeswalkers
All the D&D Adventure board games
Cave Troll (garbage game)
Neuroshima Hex
Shadowrun Crossfire (with expansion)
Goddess in a Can
Barbarossa
Tanto Cuore (all expansions)
Ascension
Marvel Legendary (all expansions)
Legendary Encounters alien and predator
Legendary Villains
Dominion (super dull)
Runebound
Rune Age
Rune Wars
Summoner Wars (didn't like it)
Battleship Galaxies (WHY DIDN'T THEY MAKE MORE OF THIS)
Battlelore 2nd edition (all expansions)

I have more, that is just the stuff setting on the other side of the room from me at the moment. I would have to go into the gaming room to complete the list and I don't feel like moving at the moment.
>>
>>49227109
>Android Netrunner base game (Didn't like it)
>Mage Knight the board game (total piece of shit)
The hell is wrong with you?
>>
>>49226964

Descent with the app is pretty solid, but also kind of shitty because you don't get the option of buying good loot until you do basically every single side quest in the game and those aren't easy and net you very little reward for doing so.

The best bet is when it hits act two, just ignore the store's cards, deal out random act 2 cards and use that and book keep that shit yourself.

Outside of that, it is pretty fucking awesome and I highly recommend it if you have a tablet.
>>
>>49227134

>Android Netrunner
I didn't like the flow of the game. It wasn't bad from a mechanical standpoint, I just didn't care for it, broseph. Nothing bad mentioned there.

>Mage Knight

Complex BS = Good mechanics. There are too many steps to accomplish simple tasks. Really, they shoved 20 pounds of shit in a 1lb bag with this game and the damning thing is this 'It isn't fun to play.' It is a time sink of a game, I'll give it that, but much like a game of solitaire, just because I can play it alone, it doesn't mean the game is fun.

A better questing game is Runebound.
>>
File: 1455118894798.jpg (200KB, 1000x714px) Image search: [Google]
1455118894798.jpg
200KB, 1000x714px
>tfw bought vtes 3rd edition starter decks, but friends wont start playing cause "takes too long"
>>
>>49227106
There's a classic games general that's up sometimes.
>>
>>49227278

Try playing Don't Turn Your Back. I can't get anybody to give that game a shot.
>>
>>49227290
Thanks!
>>
>>49227278
Your friends are plebs of the highest magnitude.
I remember playing Jyhad. Game was so engrossing, complex, so very satisfying. Randomly inserted cards put me off though.
Did the game change a lot with the expansions and newer editions? I'd love this to enter an LCG format.
>>
>>49171222
>6 players
This is the number where hidden identity games start to shine (and generally these take less time that the massive 4x recommendations). Resistance, Shadow Hunters, Bang!, Coup, etc. are all great at this range.
>>
>>49227109
Why don't you sell off Dominion? You've got a bunch more deckbuilders that are far more interesting.
>>
>>49227908

They mostly wanna play eurogames like caverna or powergrid which annoy the shit out of me, goddamnit
>>
>>49220801
I'd love to buy it, but it's sold out everywhere and a reprint is looking pretty fucking unlikely at this stage.
>>
>>49228826
Yep. Just checked on Amazon, some cockgobbler wants $80 for it.
>>
>>49229393
$80 freedom dollars plus shipping to my country is roughly the equivalent of 3 full priced games.
>>
>>49230331
Where do you live anon? Maybe a local or regional business has it in stock for cheap(er)
>>
>>49188011
Fighting wars makes you unpopular because you're driving people off their land and also the Great Dieselpunk War just ended.
>>
>>49227109

Gems
>Fury of Dracula
>Gears of War
>Battle of Indies
>Neuroshima Hex
>Summoner Wars
>Battlelore

Ok
>Arcadia Quest
>Mage Knight
>Ascension
>Legendary

Things to get rid of
>Descent
>Mage Wars
>Dominion

the real question is, how much dust are on each of the boxes?
>>
>>49227047
>>49226964
Descent is a racing game, NOT A DUNGEON CRAWL

get mice & mystics
>>
>>49226771
Silver Tower isn't a board game, it's a collection of discounted miniatures which happen to come with board game pieces and can be enjoyed as a board game.

If you don't like painting minis then do NOT buy GW "board games"

except for bloodbowl, buy the FUCK out of bloodbowl
>>
>>49221036
what doesn't she like about it? you should always try and find out someone's reason for disliking a game.

there's a pretty big difference between her not liking it due to the auctioning vs her just not liking tile laying games
>>
>>49233033
Bloodbowl is a card game I thought.
>>
>>49233468
it started out as a board game which has multiple editions, there have been a couple video games as well, and only recently was there the card game team manager
>>
>>49231906
Ausfailia.

Did a thorough search through google and found some dodgy online-only all purpose store that for some reason had it and a random smattering of other board game stuff in stock. Paid more than I would have liked, but it's definitely my best option. Hope it's not scam and they haven't run off laughing with my dollarydoo's.
>>
>>49233468
Glorious miniatures game, currently OOP. A new edition is supposedly coming out in 2017.

>>49233704
Man, I hear aussies also get shafted with import taxes. Hope you have no trouble with those dodgy guys.
>>
Has anyone played the XCOM game? Thinking about getting it
>>
>>49233013
Explain
>>
>>49232988
Very little dust. I game several days a week with varying numbers of opponents.
>>
>>49234626

It is fun, but not If you like the Xcom video games. It is 99% of the side action stuff from the video games with no tactical combat at all really.
>>
>>49233013
Wonder if the app changes things.
>>
I just had what was possibly the closest and most fun game of Kemet ever, even though it featured my friend flaunting his Mastodon dick around my city for like 3 days straight. Also the first time i recall when somebody had a choice to fuck either me or my direct rival up and actually choose the latter.
>>
>>49234793

Not the same Anon, but yeah, it kind of is. Descent 2.0 is objective driven, and basically, whoever is the fastest at accomplishing the objective is going to win. That means if you want to win, you want to skip exploration, try to avoid fights.

Feels like a race. That's why I grew tired of it.

I heard the App kinda solves the problem, so maybe it's a viable option.

Other DM-less dungeon crawl options (pretty pricey options, be warned)

Warhammer Quest : Silver Tower. Fun, pretty fast, nice looking GW models some interesting mechanics, but simple to play.

Shadows of Brimstone. Fiddly, long, basic mechanics, but the theme is so strong that kind of builds a world and stories as you play. Emergent storytelling and all that. One of my favorite games, even if the mechanics are pretty shit.
>>
>>49180601
Mistfall
>>
>>49191543
Mice & Mystics is fun, theme is cute and certainly gets people on the table, but it's quite simple - too simple for some. I'd suggest the D&D AGS games for dungeon crawling (full co-op) or Descent (semi co-op). If they're not fans of dungeons, then Forbidden Desert.
>>
File: 1473324279567.jpg (130KB, 588x785px) Image search: [Google]
1473324279567.jpg
130KB, 588x785px
Any thoughts on this anons?
>>
I've got a question for other fans of space hulk death angel

do you think the sense of tension it creates relies on its use of dice and the fact that one hit from an alien will kill your space marines, or do you think it'd still be able to exist if the game were balanced around each space marine having hit points and being able to take multiple hits (like legendary encounters aliens)?
>>
>>49209524
I don't understand why can't it be just "a strategy game with a capaign mode". I'd play the shit out of that. There's nothing that can be done in the "legacy" format that cannot be done through replacement or using different tables.

Legacy games seem to be as much of a good idea as ante in magic or chaos confetti.
>>
Anyone mind reuploading the campaign log pdf from the latest Arkham Horror article at the FFG website?
>>
>>49234626
Interesting gimmicks as one of the first app-enabled boardgames, but the management decisions each player has to make are only really interesting because of the time pressure, it's all pretty simplistic. Not bad though, if that doesn't turn you off go right for it.
>>
>>49237624
>IB&C
Nah
>>49233013
Don't you think the cheese wheel mechanic makes M&M just as much of a race game, if not even more so?
>>
>>49234626
I'd only consider it if you regularly play with exactly 4 people. all roles need to be present no matter the player count, and that can be a bit much since it's real time

also like the other anon said, don't go in to it expecting a tactical rpg in board game form. it's the broader save the world parts of the game.
>>
>>49240788

Whats wrong with Indie Boards & Cards?
>>
>>49242542
Three million versions of the same game, all kickstarted because reasons despite them being a functional publisher.
I mean, there's what? At least five different versions of Coup by now? Maybe even more versions of Resistance.
>>
>>49242738
>all kickstarted because reasons

because reasons = "We can squeeze even more $$$$ out of the same I.P. with minimal effort rather than just doing it right the first time. Hooray!"
>>
>>49242738
>>49243343

i see no problem taking money from idiots
>>
>>49242542
Travis (the owner) is a total douche nozzle; shitty to a few of the designers he's published, bad to kickstarter backers, full of excuses, I've seen him be downright rude to a kid who wanted to say he really liked Flash Point at a con before.

I can't say I won't buy a game from them if it's good, they're not quite as evil as Mayfair or ANA, but there's plenty of guys I'd rather give my money to at this point. That said, plenty of companies can flip their positions randomly, I can't really think of any that I'd give my money without question, tho there's a few I wouldn't think very hard about it because they're generally awesome.
>>
>>49243738
Yeah, they're pretty low on my hit list. Hell, I've owned most versions of coup at one point or another. But that's the most common reason for giving them crap.
>>
>>49242542
Mostly this >>49243798 though more specifically it's because he threatened legal action against someone with no grounds in order to undermine their Kickstarter.

That's okay though because it's super easy to avoid supporting Travis Worthington. I'd happily recommend any game over a IB&C game.
>>
>>49243798

>not as evil as Mayfair or ANA

Whats the story behind this
>>
>>49243738
I do. Rewarding ass-hats for acting like ass-hats just encourages more ass-hattery.
>>
File: Asmodee North America.png (150KB, 674x743px) Image search: [Google]
Asmodee North America.png
150KB, 674x743px
>>49244921
ANA - we think you should pay more for 'luxury items' and be glad to do so! French Bankers and Marie Antoinette - idiots all.
>>
>>49245031
The last two sentences are particularly ironic...

> "I also expect they'll be keeping the price of gateway games like Pandemic and Ticket to Ride quite low. But it does look like Asmodee's investors expect growth, and one place they'll be finding it is in the pockets of hobbyists like you and me."

I was at the local Walmart a few days ago and a younger couple and an older woman were looking at games - spoke to them about Pandemic & Ticket to Ride both of which were on the shelves. The older woman with them took one look at the prices and basically said "Hell no! To much." They better hope Will Wheaton convinces A LOT of Hipsters with disposable income to buy games. Cause Mom -n- Pop America in my neighborhood sure didn't seem to thrilled by their current pricing. I'm glad I snagged most of the FFG / Asmodee stuff I wanted before the price increases and ANA clamping down on online discount sales.
>>
>>49245031
Also
>able to keep a more reliable stock of any games that sell well, and push boardgames to a wider audience
basically means "they'll probably produce a fuckton of casual games and axe all stuff that doesn't go multi-platinum because fuck your hobby"
>>
>>49245176
>took one look at the prices and basically said "Hell no! To much".
Anon, you should have had the courtesy of informing them that was a luxury item and that they should be grateful to pay an amount of money proportional to the luxuriousness because then they'll be able to fully appreciate it
>>
>>49245176
>I'm glad I snagged most of the FFG
I plan on caving for reprints of Sid Meier's Civilization expansion, and for Cosmic Eons, but that's about it.
>>
>>49245031

>companies will buy and control everything
>cyberpunk future will be true in 20 years
>when can i be broccoli with my holodeckwaifu

why live
>>
>>49245471
Cyberpunk is already true, just not the part about the common man having a means of resistance. All the people who would have been Runners started selling out in the 80's.
>>
>>49245176

Worked in a toy store for years. The prices for games like TTR, Pandemic or Catan was already about 20 % higher than hasbro games and such and such (Frenchfag here). No matter how much I would try to recommand them, price was a fucking huge hurdle for your average customer.
>>
>>49245668

Boardgame crash when
>>
>>49244921
ANA seems like the testing ground for turning Asmodee as a whole into EA, even Vasel talked about it this last week that he sees more expansions for games he didn't think were going to get them than new IPs. It doesn't help that while a very good businessman Christian Petersen (FFG ceo, now head of ANA) is trying to sell everyone the company line, while not exactly being sincere, and his employee reviews are shaky at best. The SUSD news blog is a year after all this stuff started, last year all the reviewers said don't worry about the mergers, and the only one who really spoke up at the Apr 1 price increase was Chaz Marler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mORmFyT5RY and he doesn't have much clout. The BGG newspost was a repeat telling us that it was a good thing and then half the users spent the entire time agreeing with this view. Link is the largest of the shitstorm postings
>https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/51728/historical-perspective-changes-announced-asmodee-n

As for Mayfair? They're the originator of the MAP trend of game publishers (this is why every store online has to keep games within 20% of MSRP). They've also gone way downhill on the quality of their games in the last 10 years, Mayfair seems to stand for sub-par art/components, whereas before it was boards like Pillars of the Earth which was gorgeous, or Caverna which has almost as much glorious wood as TM. They've got a shitty past with TSR and a few lawsuits, but my personal distaste is because of their behavior at cons.

>>49245817
It's not gonna be a crash really, it's not gonna be like the dotcom bubble where only 40% of publishers survive, but you will see a lot of the smaller companies that only work on kickstarter fall off. More importantly you'll see a lot more large companies consolidate and turn into EA/Activision, releasing the same game every year with new meeple colors. Hopefully there are enough mid tier producers to keep things fresh.
>>
>>49246507
>MAP
?
>>
>>49246545
Minimum allowed price; you are not allowed to sell any Mayfair game below 80% MSRP (they can on occasion do sales that drop it closer to 70 but as I understand it those have to be approved, and they're not often). CMoN has a MAP rule in effect as well, but only for 1 year after release of a game, which I believe they instituted so people would keep pledging their kickstarters instead of waiting to see if they could get a loaded copy cheap off places like CSI/MM.
>>
>>49246649
>mayfair puts up a lot of kickstarters
Hmm...
>>
>>49247313
Lemme reword that, the CMoN min pricing is due to kickstarter, the Mayfair one is because they're fuckwads.
>>
>>49247364
No, I mean, last I heard about Mayfair being fuckwads it was that they keep making KS's and using the cash on the previous project, like a Ponzi scheme.
>>
Some guy is asking $450 for a signed KS copy of Cthulhu Wars, he alreay sold all the extras. Guys like that make me rage. He's all fucking smug and shit too "well if you want it you'll pay for it, if you don't want it or can't afford it GTFO"
Fucking scalpers
>>
>>49247858
Not aware of that, though I wouldn't be surprised. I've mostly ignored them the last 4 years or so, but I do remember they failed spectacularly to kickstart Cones of Dunshire. $400 for a deluxe edition, before you produce a standard edition, no rules, and you did your kickstarter video/faq/etc all in character from the tv show? People are really fucking stupid (see: Exploding Kittens) but not that stupid.
>>
Nothing yet. Next week, though...
I think the most important things have been flexibility in planning and being prepared in advance for the next turn.
That other people are as willing to put the time in to learn/play more complex games. I want to play TI3 again so bad it's not even funny. You can always buy whatever shit you want (and my dad will probably give me some of his games one day)

>>49171222
My family of 7 all play board games so we play a lot of 5-6 player games. >>49182270 has good recs, here are some of mine:

>BANG
>7 Wonders
>Shadows over Camelot
>Roll for the Galaxy
>Why Did the Chicken?
This is seriously the only Apples to Apples style game I like anymore
>The Resistance
>Saboteur
>Werewolf or the like
>>
>>49206839
>>49218355

Honestly, if I'd ask someone for opinions on boardgames I'd ask
>my dad
>/bgg/
in that order.

Though honestly I'd never heard of this guy either and I've been playing boardgames for 10 years so idk
>>
>>49212634
Shadows is a fun game. The expansion makes it good, though I don't know how you feel about Monty Python references.
Personally, my family plays Nuns on the Run to get their 'catch the hidden guy' fix. Which is also a game that supports up to 8 players for >>49171222
>>
>>49240788
I don't think so. There's a lot you can do to delay the cheese wheel (Filch and Ditty are really good at it) and IMO the 'timer' is mostly to prevent players from dawdling too much and collecting loot unless they want a fight. It's a good tradeoff if the players know what they're doing.

Descent feels much more like a race mostly because you're directly competing against another human player instead of some easily circumvented mechanics.
>>
>>49248424
Call me a pleb, but I think The Oatmeal is pretty damn good, I'd buy the game even if it sucks just cus I enjoy Inman's artwork and humor.
>1,2,3 DEATH!
>>
>>49248778
I got nothing against the art, not a fan but I can understand how people like his comics. The gameplay is just awful though; it's like Uno, only worse.
>>
File: vp8jU5X.gif (789KB, 444x272px) Image search: [Google]
vp8jU5X.gif
789KB, 444x272px
>Iello edition of Diamant is getting an English release for Essen
>treasure chests and meeples are back
>don't have to give my money to EGG
Now if only I can convince my brother to postpone his vacation a couple weeks so I don't have to get the French edition
>>
>>49245817
it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I would have figured kickstarter would have died out by now, but it seems like board games are still holding on, while video games have kind of given up on kickstarter for the most part.
>>
>>49252159
I believe crowdfunding in general is just a trend that will eventually go away when people grow disillusioned and cynical, tired of mediocrity, scammers, undelivered or unfinished goals. It's just online begging and promises.
Yeah, the goals and projects may be worthwhile, but how long will it last? Aren't you sick of people saying "I'll appeal to your good will to wring some cash out of you, and maybe I'll give you something in return"?
>>
Which games have world championships? I know about Carcassonne. Does King of Tokyo still have championships?
>>
>>49252807
It's good for the most part in that I've definitely seen more buyer beware action going on making it harder for obvious scammers, people with geniunely shit concepts and zero preptime and companies which have proven themselves to be garbage.

Unfortunately as yet (and I can only hope will die a swift godamn death), idiots will still flock to complete bullshit like exploding cards against munchkins, paste-on game miniatures flogger #1530 or zombie/ninja/viking cashgrab of the day. And certainly don't seem to be in any hurry not to chuck their bank accounts away at just as obvious complete garbage but "ad populum so that's ok".
>>
>>49252807
Atleast the board game kickstarters seem to be doing good on delivering their products so far, even with delays, eg. Kingdom Death: Monster. That said, I can't tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
>>
>>49252860
http://boardgamers.org/previews_2016.html
>>
>>49252987
>>49252807

Honestly, seems like unless you're a big name like Uwe Rosenburg or Fantasy Flight, your board game is gonna get kickstarted.

There might be some cases where it's a small indie publisher or a self-published game where it might be using Kickstarter correctly, but then you have miniatures and Queen literally just doing pre-orders, all of them attempting to hype up the game via sales (DOUBLE OUR GOAL TO GET 2 MORE CARDS!!!!1), and about 90% of them get funded in 1 day because board gamers are stupid lemmings and then, oh would you look at that, the publisher just found out international shipping was actually expensive instead of free. Then they advertise the fact they were funded in 1 day as a selling point to make themselves seem popular when really their initial goal was for a dozen copies in the US.

Maybe I'm just really biased though, because as much as I love board games, I absolutely hate the industry, the community, and about 90% of the players.
>>
>>49253459
I hadn't thought of that. people aren't super disillusioned with board game kickstarters because it's not as difficult to provide the finished product. both video and board games have had their share of kickstarter duds, but while board games can have awful delays and sub-par final products (project elite comes to mind), you at least actually get a final product.

I've never backed a kickstarter, but I did bookmark a bunch of video games that looked interesting to me back when it first blew up. most never actually got made, and at least one of them had a second successful campaign to get additional funding.

it helps that designing and creating a board game can be done with very limited resources. it's the production and in some cases final art that require that sweet kickstarter money, while video games need the money much earlier on.

when you're backing a board game, you're doing what we all pictured kickstarter to be when we first heard about it, you're preordering a product. when you back a video game kickstarter, you're donating to an idea in the hopes it becomes something.
>>
>>49252987
>viking cashgrab of the day
I was so disappointed in Blood Rage, glad I didn't back it.
>>
>>49252807
I hope you're wrong personally. There are many aspects to the way many people use and find success on Kickstarter, but it is still allowing people with ideas to have their creations brought to life that would otherwise remain concepts pondered over a beer.
>>
Im going on to buy 2-5 new games next week. But im not sure what to get. I was thinking of Eldritch Horror, Ticket to Ride and Go.
My group plays pretty much everything so its not a problem...
So, i would love to hear about your opinions.
What are the games you have enjoyed most playing with friends?
And what are your personal favorites?
>>
>>49254989
*many aspects I don't like
>>
>>49253710
https://www.spielezentrum.de/Carcassonne/CC-2016Engl/E-CCWC2016-rules.html
Anything more like this?
>>
>>49254393
I don't get why people say this. But I never heard of Blood Rage until I played it for the first time. Was it advertised as a different sort of game in its KS?

>>49255284
That's a diverse selection. Get games that are similar to what your groups like but more in depth is my suggestion.
>>
>>49255284
wew, it's really odd to see someone considering both ticket to ride and eldritch horror

off the top of your head, you should see what the weight rating on bgg is for the most complex game you guys have played. if it's not around 3 I might hold off on eldritch
>>
>>49218644
Good timing
>https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/57558/fantasy-flight-games-and-games-workshop-parting-wa
>>
>>49256928
shit. I guess I'll change plans and avoid warhammer quest since there will never be any more quests, and I'll reconsider picking up fury of dracula
>>
>price of fury of dracula just went from 42 to 45, and just now shot up to 50

weew
>>
>>49256928

Surprised with all the bile directed at the GW games.

Sure their practices are shady as fuck, but the games have been mostly all right. I mean, Silver Tower is actually pretty damn good. Space Hulk is still a fan favorite. I heard good things about Deathwatch overkill and Horus Heresy...

And I saw someone on a forum posting that from what they've seen of the rules, Gorechosen might actually be pretty good stuff.
>>
>>49255687
Problem is, almost everything works.

>>49255929
Most complex game i have is warhammer at 3.46. Couple others too around 3 but thats it.

Different games for different moods and situations.
carcassonne to play with our girlfriends.
Warhammer for more competitive games.
Rogue trader and call of cthulhu to satisfy the roleplaying itch.
I got munchkin to play when we are drunk.
Bunch of party games to play when more friends are visiting. etc.

Pretty much everything there is got a place and time for me. Thats why i asked for fun games and personal favorites.

So, i ask again. What do you love to play? No matter with who or how complex.
>>
>>49256928
Fury of Dracula surprised me. Maybe that's why they suddenly announced an expansion for Letters from Whitechapel?

>>49257542
Probably a spillover from the Warhammer side of things.
>>
>>49257681
yeah, I was surprised when I found out gw put out the first edition of fury of dracula back in the 80s
>>
Catan, Magical Athlete (it's so fucking cute!) and Superfight, which is a version of CAH that I don't actually hate.
Always have a plastic bag for the little pieces if the game doesn't come with one.
for f-friends
>>
>>49257512
We all know who we can thank for that.
>>49257681
>expansions for Whitechapel
It begins...
>>
>>49256928
i just saw the news on a board game blog.

i guess i should really pick up forbidden stars then.
is chaos in the old world a good buy as well? how does it compare to forbidden stars?
>>
>>49258834

Never played forbidden stars but they look like very very different games.

Chaos in the old World is excellent, but really requires the exact player count of 4 (or 5 if you have the expansion) if you want to fully enjoy it.
>>
>>49258881
>Chaos in the old World is excellent, but really requires the exact player count of 4 (or 5 if you have the expansion) if you want to fully enjoy it.
This, but considering Cry Havoc looks very similar and seems to be balanced at numbers other than 4, that looks to be the smarter pic for me, ymmv.
>>
>>49258881
>but really requires the exact player count of 4 (or 5 if you have the expansion)

that wouldnt be a problem since my board game group almost always consists of 5 or 6 people.
>>
File: 1473228152781.jpg (135KB, 1600x681px) Image search: [Google]
1473228152781.jpg
135KB, 1600x681px
>>49258834
They are very different games.
Forbidden stars is about claiming specific objectives on target planets, has a rather unique (but too long in higher player count sessions) combat system, and takes the secret order system to game of thrones and spices things up a bit.

Chaos has wonderfully assymetric factions, different ways to win, depending on race and board state, very simple combat, and a mix of controlling the map with dudes and also controlling the board state through card placement.

Quick /bgg, show us your face now that forbidden stars, bloodbowl, chaos, and others will never see any more expansions or new renditions
>>
File: 1473306699332.jpg (107KB, 622x486px) Image search: [Google]
1473306699332.jpg
107KB, 622x486px
>>49259253
This but board games instead of hentai.
It's no big loss, all of the ones that I own and are affected by this don't have any glaring flaws.

I am contemplating picking up an extra copy of CitOW to try and jew for big bucks down the line.
>>
File: absolutelyhellenic.jpg (55KB, 316x468px) Image search: [Google]
absolutelyhellenic.jpg
55KB, 316x468px
Dammit. I don't have the money for the to three. Chaos in the old world, forbidden stars, or fury of Dracula. Guess I'm never going to get them outside of garage sales in 20 years with missing pieces or at hundreds of dollars from third parties/used games stores. Dammit.
>>
>>49252987
I don't think you can say that in the year where garbage like Dark Souls for funded. The main shit that gets kick started right now is super cheap shot with a low bar to reach and people who promise miniatures but zero game.
>>
>>49259810
Last time I checkecd chaos in the old world on some online store in my 2.5 world country it costed around 40$ brand new.
I understand it's not free, but compared to other games in this hobby that oscillate around 100$ where I live it seems relatively cheap.
>>
>>49259221

The expansion has reached pretty unreasonable prices though.
>>
File: 1349070266353.gif (2MB, 195x262px) Image search: [Google]
1349070266353.gif
2MB, 195x262px
>>49260302
mrw already got horned rat
>>
>>49218355
it probably means the exact opposite.
>>
>>49221036
I wasn't crazy about it the first time I played it, but thought the variable scoring seemed interesting and gave it another try. Now I love it. I think bidding games, especially with those with unusual or unique bidding, take a few plays to figure out.
>>
File: 1473248169864.jpg (90KB, 712x649px) Image search: [Google]
1473248169864.jpg
90KB, 712x649px
On vacation in Prince Edward Island, in the Canadian Maritimers.

>oooh, let's go see what the local geek scene is like downtown
>find the local board game cafe, seems pleasant, but wife didn't come with, so no one to play with
>go to local b&m magic store.
>ti3 shards of the throne 85$
>small world 78$
>twilight struge 90$
>sheriff of Nottingham SEVENTY FIVE LOONIES

Being a board gaming enthusiast here must be suffering. Can't wait to go home to the land of poutine and separatists and get chaos for the regular price and sit on it for the sheckles.
>>
>>49257512
up to 70
>>
>>49171009
Cut Throat Caverns & Mission Red Planet
Who you play with is more important than what you play.
I'd really like to see an expansion for Mission Red Planet, it's probably one of my favorite games... though if I'm being honest I just wish I had more time and more people to game with.

Related Question: Is Table Top Simulator worth buying and if I were to buy it is there a community that I could get involved with to play with?
>>
>>49262033
>Check my local online retailer that ships anywhere in canada for free with a $100 order.
>Shards of the Throne $75
>Small World $64
>Twilight Struggle $60
>Sheriff $35
It's not great but the Maritimes really just fucking sucks for anything but lobster.
>>
>>49252807
I've backed 20 projects, and so far 2 have been 'meh' (neither of which I pledged much for), 4 are in development, but the rest has met or exceeded my expectations. Particular (expensive) highlights has been Kingdom Death: Monster, Basius 2, Bones 1 & 3, and Dreamforge Games.

It's up to you as a potential pledger to use your judgement and sniff out what's the real deal or not. Does it look like shit? Does it smell like shit? Then it's probably shit. Scammers are a lazy bunch, or I have probably just not stumbled across any, either by luck or self-fellating genious.
>>
http://www.gioconomicon.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=8770&title=the-hunt-for-the-ring-si-apre-la-caccia-all-unico-anello#EnglishArticle

seems they've been preparing for the loss of fury of dracula for a while. I saw people jokingly say they'd retheme it as fury of vader, but I was honestly expecting a lord of the rings game to fill that spot.
>>
My prediction for FFG 2020 release:
>Chaos in Mercatol Rex
>Star Wars Quest: The Adventure Card Game
>Fury of Whizzard
>Eldritch Stars
>>
>>49263662
I could see a TI retheme of Forbidden Stars.
>>
I'm just watching space hulk gameplay for the first time in my life and I have a dejavu.

It is the continuation of lost patrol? Are they connected?
>>
>>49263662
>it's not "Star Wars everywhere!" Reskins

You had one job, anon

I, for one, cannot wait for L5R featuring Jedi monks, shadowlands siths, and coruscant level winter court intrigue.

The gungans can fill in for the ratfolk no problem.
>>
So I'm just getting into board games as a hobby and I was thinking of taking advantage of Target's "buy 2 get 1 free" deal starting this Sunday. I have Catan, Ticket to Ride, Pandemic Legacy, Hive, Heroscape, and Sid Meier's Civilization. I was thinking of getting Power Grid Deluxe, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, and One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Mysterium, or Sheriff of Nottingham. I also want to get Dead of Winter but Target doesn't sell it. How are the games I listed/do you guys have any suggestions? I like the Euro game mechanics but I also want to try something with different mechanics (from Catan and TTR); also something that's a little less difficult than Civilization to learn (honestly I didn't find the couple of games of Civ that I played to be that fun).
>>
>>49263662
>Fury of Whizzard
12/10 scheduling side replacement surgery.
>>
>>49255687
>Was it advertised as a different sort of game in its KS?
It's much less the dudes on a map game everyone assumed it'd be and far more a drafting and resource management game.
>>
>>49256928
>tfw snagged a copy of CitOW & HR this morning
>already own Fury of Dracula & Forbidden Stars
hahahaha can't jew me now Asmodee, I already own everything I want from you
>>
>checking au ebay for citow
>see a copy for 46 ausbucks including postage
>like half the price of any copy i've ever seen
>polish edition
fug
>>
From the FFg thread >>49257276 the following are getting axed

• Black Crusade
• Blood Bowl: Team Manager
• Chaos in the Old World
• Chaos Marauders
• Dark Heresy
• Dark Heresy Second Edition
• Deathwatch
• Forbidden Stars
• Fury of Dracula
• Only War
• Relic
• Rogue Trader
• Space Hulk: Death Angel
• Talisman
• Warhammer: Diskwars
• Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
• Warhammer: Invasion The Card Game
• Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game
• Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

I already Have CitOW, and Team Manager, I'm not interested in the TTRPGs, Relic or Talisman, curious about the LCGs, Diskwars amd Space Hulk. Kinda meh on Forbidden Stars since I own Starcraft.

Are any of these worth it? Should I go for something before they go out of stock?
>>
>>49268533
Fury of Dracula absolutely.
>>
>>49268533
i kinda just want to pick up Chaos in the Old World
and forbidden stars now just because of this. I doubt i will play them any time soon though.

god dammit. this sucks.

whats a fair price to pay for each of those games?
>>
>>49265625
Power Grid and Castles are both solid euro games, haven't heard much complaints for either. Deluxe is the new version I think?

ONUW is a pretty popular bluffing party game, though I don't know much more than that. 6+ players?

Mysterium is a co-op game about figuring out whodunnit from clues the ghost player gives you. How fun it is seems to be pretty dependant on the players; the ghost player especially could find it dull or stressful if you don't like just watching your friends overanalyzing your clues, so maybe try it out first?

Sheriff is a negotiation game about gathering points by getting goods past the sheriff player. There's a dominant strategy where you bring only legal goods in if you're playing it purely as a bluffing game, but you can sort of counter it with your negotiation skills, so keep that in mind while considering for purchase.

Post any of the other titles you see maybe? In particular, if you happen to see any of the games being discontinued here >>49268533 you should probably consider picking them up, since they'll go out of print soon. Of note are probably Blood Bowl, Chaos in the Old World, Forbidden Stars, Fury of Dracula, and Space Hulk.
>>
How is Tokaido?
>>
>>49206906
I love SUSD, but Quinns tends to overhype things I don't remotely like.

Out of everything they suggest, unless it's a party or deduction game, the ones I like the most are the ones that Paul likes more than Quinns.
>>
File: 1473424314120.jpg (49KB, 447x723px) Image search: [Google]
1473424314120.jpg
49KB, 447x723px
>>49269186
>whats a fair price to pay for each of those games?
Not any price you're going to get now that everyone's bought up copies
>>
>>49270124
what was the going price for them before the announcement?
>>
>>49268533

Fury of Dracula for sure.

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game is fun, but it is also clearly built with a lot of expansions in mind, and now it's never going to get those, so that's iffier.
>>
>>49270189
around $40, $50 after shipping for CitOW.
>>
>>49268533
space hulk death angel is my absolute favorite solo game by far. it basically feels like aliens: the movie: the game, and it all fits in a nice little box that travels well. it does need quite a bit of table space though

a brief overview of solo gameplay. you control 3 teams of 2 space marines. each team has three ability cards with some minor differences. they have support (you put a token on a space marine, allows them to reroll a die when attacking or defending), move+action (allows them to change their positioning and activate a location ability), and attack.

for most teams, attacking means rolling a die and if you hit you kill one alien (some kill the number on the die). positioning matters. aliens can end up in all 12 positions (in front of and behind each space marine). not only can you not attack aliens that are behind you, you can't reroll defence die if their attack hits, even if you have a support token. one hit from any alien, and your space marine is dead.

this game is brutal. you can have the best strategy around, you can make it to the final location and be a turn away from killing the last few aliens, but a couple of important dice rolls fuck you over and all your space marines die. but you're not all that upset, because you still had a great time playing one of the most intense board games ever created.
>>
>>49263662
don't forget about the descent universe. I think warhammer quest would more likely end up being runequest the adventure card game
>>
>>49268060
HR?
>>
>>49272902
Horned Rat expansion
>>
>>49199382
Oh good it isn't just me.

I'm backing Siege. Really liked Mutant Hronicles / old WarZone
>>
does anyone else think the board for inis doesn't look that great? like the artwork itself is fantastic, just like all the other art in the game, but it doesn't really look like a board to travel on.
>>
>>49268161
A lot of polish edition games have only translated instruction book. All the game content stays original. I don't know if that applies to your game, or if this satisfies you but I thought I could mention it.
>>
>>49272902
Don't let this Anon >>49272963 fool you. It's the 'Human Resources' expansion where the Chaos Gods force potential lackeys to submit to the horrors of 'The Interview Process' - including such evils as 'the Group Interview' and 'We'll call you later - maybe.' The lackeys who fail get fobbed off on the other God's forces to reduce their abilities. The HR expansion adds an amazing amount of evil to the game.
>>
>>49268533
Which of this games would you consider to get (untill they are available) taking into consideration that the only game I have so far is Zombicide:BP (which I seem kinda boring without expansions) ?

I see couple of anons mentioned Fury of Dracula, but can it be enjoyable by 2 players?
I heard that there are games that really lose a lot of fun when played in less (chaos in the old world for example).
>>
>>49277645
Fury of Drac is generally acknowledged to be the best of the GW/FFG marriage, but it's not great with 2. It's important to note pretty much everything the two combined on is pretty heavy Amerithrash, so it's not for everyone. If you're unsure about any of them, save your cash, it's not worth buying a game you won't enjoy just because it's OOP, not to mention the partnership doesn't end until Feb, so you've got plenty of time to figure out if you'd like something.
>>
>>49277645
>>49277739
I'm going to throw in my opinion about Fury of Dracula.

Fury of dracula takes all of the tactics and tension that you'd get from playing Spectre Ops and stretches it paper thin over a game that takes three times as long to play. The box says two to three hours. But that's a dirty fucking lie. ESPECIALLY for your first games. The only way to complete the game within two hours if one party fucks up dramatically dramatically.

While the hidden movement, dracula's trail, and the fight mechanics are interesting, they become a chore after going through the steps for the thousandth time. 'Okay I move here. Is that on the trail? No? Okay, next person' x4 for every turn in the game until you find dracula.

Which finding dracula is another wholly frustrating thing. The first five or so turns in the game need to play out almost identically every time in order to give the hunters the starting point they NEED to actually HUNT dracula. Mina Harker +1 hunter have to bounce around borders until her power pings dracula so that they don't spend literally two hours meandering around confused and knowing nothing and accomplishing nothing.

And the game isn't 'tense' as there is no immediate danger or thrill until you actually latch onto Dracula's trail. It starts out as an intriguing 'dread' as you have no idea when and where he is, and then turns to tiring tedium as the tone of the game never shifts, it's a constant monotone until you find dracula's trail. The only parts of the game that are interesting or fun in the actual chase of dracula which only comes about after two to three hours of toil and throwing darts on the board just hoping one will stick.

I'd MUCH rather play three games of Spectre Ops to one game of Fury.

And some of this is a tad exaggerated, but this is speaking from three separate play experiences. I don't like Fury and will be selling/trading it when the prices spike from scarcity.
>>
>>49279038
Yeah, I'm there with you. I think as long as people play quickly, fury maintains a little better tension, but it's enough longer and the player powers are less interesting, so my preference goes to Specter Ops too.

Still going to hang onto my copy though.
>>
Do you guys mind if I post a homebrew boardgame idea for some critique?
>>
>>49280252
You were the first to say:
>Fury of Dracula absolutely.
>absolutely
>>
Nice to have a thread that didn't go down the shitter before 50 replies.

>>49280311
Sure, but I'd wait for /bgg/ to respawn, it's reached bump limit
>>
>>49281126
>>49281126
>>49281126
>>49281126
>>49281126
>>
>>49275444
CitOW is VERY heavily dependent on text so it's probably a full translation.
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.