[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3: https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDAB

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 32

File: Wiz-mart.jpg (548KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Wiz-mart.jpg
548KB, 1280x720px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Previous Sessions
>>49116693
>>49116343
>>49132324

When buying quipment do you as the GM just allow it to happen?do you roleplay the purchase?
>>
>>49154210
This is a constant source of tension in my games. I refuse to let them by everything they want from the dmg, they throw a hissy fit. Sometimes being the dm is like taking care of babies.
>>
>>49154331
I extrapolated the DMG's magic item selling thing into a full magic item buying/selling...thing. My players can search for any item they want, but luck and their location will reveal whether or not they find it--and can afford it.
>>
>>49154210
Depends on what the player is trying to buy as well as the party's actions in the city and in the general region. It also depends on NPC race and player race. I always shoot for very light roleplay when doing shopping but things might become more intense depending on the above factors.
>>
>>49153722
Agreed. Wish some of the Demon Lords had been given the same courtesy. Fuckin' CR 23 for Baphomet? Really?
>>49154172
I thought Tiamat was considered a Devil Lord and/or Deity, not Demon.
>>
Gonna DM a 5e campaign for the first time. Any advice? What pitfalls should I avoid?
>>
>>49154210
It varies. Depending on the item. If they are buying rations then I don't give a shit. I'll RP it if it's something that may turn into an interesting encounter.
>>
>>49154878
>I thought Tiamat was considered a Devil Lord and/or Deity, not Demon

You have no idea.
On Greyhawk she's a deity of some sort.
On Krynn (Dragonlance), she's Tahkesis, the settings greatest evil deity.
On Faerun she was a powerful demon (but not quite a Demon Lord) in the Abyss, basically a really powerful monster, one that was killed no less. Then she was a lesser deity, except in Unther she was a more powerful deity except as this more powerful deity she DIED. During all of this she ruled a layer of the Abyss as s Demon Lord (Abyss=Demons BTW, Hell=Devils) at the SAME TIME.
Then 4e happened and she was magically alive again only she was suddenly more powerful too (4e made an endless number of retcons about seemingly everything in FR, even if they made zero sense, all in an attempt to homogenize the different campaign settings they owned as much as possible), except now in 5e she was a suddenly god again trapped in a layer of the Abyss.
>>
>>49154878
She was an devil, then a god, now she is like Amodeus's pet or something.
>>
>>49155239
Be wary not to overwhelm your party in the early levels encounters, don't hand out magic items too freely, and be sure to have an end game planned but do t restrict the party on what path they can go on. Nudge them in a direction but let them choose what path they wish to take.
>>
>>49155456
Don't*
>>
>>49155450
Oh, and before I forget, AGAIN she was a Duchess of Hell too.
>>
>>49155450
Wasn't it explicitly stated that Takhisis and Tiamat were NOT the same entity? (Mind you, it was a stupid assertion if it was made because they clearly are, but I think canonically they aren't)
>>
>>49155450
>>49155532
Apparently Tracy Hickman (creator of Dragonlance) says they're separate entities, but Jeff Grub (major Dragonlance author) believes they're the same. And WotC eventually stated (in 4e) that they are, in fact, the same deity.
>>
So how do you transition out of combat naturally without making things too mechanical and game-y? We all had a fun time last night when I DM'd for a newbie group. Combat went swell but one thing I noticed on my part was that when an encounter had it that one of the bandits ran off when he was outnumbered by the party 4 to 1, some things of concern came up to me:

>I described that the bandit was running off to warn a nearby camp.
>Wizard calls the Fighter to shoot an arrow at the fleeing enemy
>Fighter goes to say "I can't, it's not my turn"
>Wizard asks me if we're out of combat so they can disregard combat turns so Fighter can loose the arrow
>I just go "Um, yeah." before allowing him to loose an arrow

It's not a big deal though at the end of the day but it felt off to me and I think I could have handled that better. That and it got too common when the party kept asking if they're "out of combat" so they can forgo turn-based actions and act out like they were in the non-combat parts of the game where turns (in the mechanic sense where initiative is concerned) is disregarded (at least in how I run it.)

Am I being bothered too much? I think I am but one of my player messaged me asking something about this cause he felt that he wished he had a better grasp of what was "out of combat" and "in combat" and I didn't have a clear answer to tell him but gave him the vague "As a DM, I'll call for it so don't worry about it."

Advice? I guess the ultimate thing here is that I just don't want my playerrs to feel they're in a video game where combat happens like how players in a JRPG get random encounters with a screen transition swirl and be in some battlefield.
>>
So I am building up that one cavern in the Dripping Cave in Chapter 1 of Storm King's Thunder.

Idea is since this is in an Elven forest that this cave goes for a few hundred yards until it leads to a ruined wall to some ancient Elven tomb of a great Elf Warrior. After spendin ga few rounds there a Wraith of the Elf will manifest. The Wraith still believes his lands to be threaten by men and that they still wage war, however the party can trick him with deception calming that the war is over and the elves are the victors. Which in this case the Wraith will find rest. Or of course they can just fight him.

Do you think a Wraith is a fair fight for 5-6 players at lvl 3? Also was thinking that he has Elven Chain for his treasure, would that be too powerful of an item to give?
>>
>>49155532
Canonically, deities can "die" on some worlds and be alive on others as long as they have power and influence there, and indeed most can have different "aspects" that have entirely different personalities as defined by their worshippers.
Deities are potent beings that exist on multiple levels in D&D.
>>49155595
Hickman is very protective of his personal setting, as is Margret Weis.
They tend to say everything in Krynn is unique and separate and it is treated as unique and separate in their novels, but since they don't really own or control anything it's not really their choice and numerous things have talked about Krynn as sharing space on the Prime Material Plane with Toril and Oerth.
>>
>>49155678
Don't use initiative to begin with.

Seriously. You can maintain the flow of combat quite easily without it. Basically, whoever's closest to the action (or the barbarian) gets to act first, if they just punched someone they get to react, etc; and then just repeat the same order in future "rounds," unless something changes (like someone joining combat, at which point they would act instead of waiting their turn, which is dumb and bad).

When combat "ends," nobody is concerned with turns, because they weren't really observed to begin with.
>>
>>49155684
Would go with a Banshee and build a story around that, perhaps the party has to appeal to her vanity, or scary enough, have her demand that someone kiss her.
As for magical items, I think Cloak of Elvenkind would be better suited for my recommendation.
>>
>>49155684
I wouldn't worry too much about whether it's a fair fight, unless you specifically want them to fight. Otherwise, you could easily just put them up against a monster they can't beat in a straight up brawl - nothing wrong with that.
>>
So how does one go about a Groundhog Day-esque scenario? My friends are looking to a new adventure but told me they want something like a gimmick to keep in interesting.

I was thinking maybe a Groundhog Day type adventure will work and have it that a previous artifact from an old adventure was the one that caused it and they have to repeat the days until they fulfilled a requirement. Still not sure how to go about the details yet though.

Any ideas?
>>
>>49155849
Thanks, will think on it.

>>49155999
Issue is if they do get into a fight I would like for therm to at least have a fighting chance, especially at a low level. Might go with the Banshee seeing as the Wraith could kill a lvl 3 character in one hit.
>>
Can you two hand a long sword, one hand it for the next attack, then pull out another longsword for a two weapon attack bonus action? Assuming you have the feats required
>>
What alignment would suit an Aarakocra based off of Solo Wing Pixy?
>>
Any idea when the map for SKT are going to be released? Running an online game with friends and the map making software on Roll20 is dogshit.
>>
>>49155678
Just stay in initiative until they are satisfied. If the guy is fleeing then he is using his action to run/hide and the players are trying to kill him while he does that. I have also used chase rules and had a pre-set 'escape' distance, but I think the best way is to just play it out. This is especially true when you know how far the person is from their encampment/hideout that they are fleeing to.
>>
File: Skeleton Fighter.jpg (1MB, 2550x3300px)
Skeleton Fighter.jpg
1MB, 2550x3300px
Is it better to roll a dexfag or strengthfag fighter? Part of me wants to play a GWM warhammer beefcake, but a rapier/crossbow fucker sounds like some fun shit too.
>>
>>49156928
Either are fine. If you are trying to min max, hand xbow with sharpshooter and xbow expert or two handed weapons with GWM are the way to go
>>
What's the best feat for a variant human Moon Druid to start with?
>>
>>49155678
read this article:
http://theangrygm.com/three-shocking-things-you-wont-believe-about-dd-combat/
TL;DR: this guy >>49155748 knows what's up.
>>
I'm looking for advice on how to deal with the atmosphere at the table when things go bad for the party. If they get into an obviously unwinnable fight, for example, and some of them decide to surrender while others want to keep struggling until the last hit point and get pissy at those who're not doing everything they could and using every last consumable resource.
>>
>>49157267
There isn't really a 'best'. Personally I would go with;
War Caster
Resilient (Con)
Observant
Sentinel
Lucky

Others I might go with that aren't as good;
Savage attacker (moon druid damage dice are normally a bit higher than other classes, depending on the animal)
Tough
Mobile
>>
>>49157387
That's either very good roleplaying or very bad roleplaying. Either some are saying "my character is pragmatic, and values his life," and some are saying "my character fights to the last breath," OR some are saying, "I don't want my character to die," and some are saying "I'm pretty okay with having to roll a new character if it means a cool story."

Either way, your table has hit on a human truth: people willing to die for X (be it gold, glory, God, or Germany) generally despise people who are willing to surrender. In your shoes I would emphasize that this is pretty much exactly how the fight is actually going, whether they intended to "roleplay" or not, and turn this into an opportunity for the remaining party members to explore survivor's guilt, assuming they survive.
>>
What got you into DnD?
What was your first edition?
Was it your first PnP?
How you do you feel about 5e compared to the first edition you played? (disregard if you started with 5e)
>>
File: WhatACoincidence.jpg (22KB, 447x560px)
WhatACoincidence.jpg
22KB, 447x560px
>>49157325
It makes sense that my post was a tl;dr of that article because it was basically inspired by that article.
>>
Any good retrospective vids or documentaries about DnD? Been watching old retrospectives of video games from old Gametrailers' Retrospective series and it made interested if someone made one for DnD and its past editions.
>>
>>49157836
A buddy of mine introduced me to D&D 3.5 in high school. Before that I'd been interested, but was way too poor and lonely to do anything but watch the Freaks and Geeks episode and drool.
5e is GREAT. It's streamlined in a way that other editions and even other games I've played (3.5, PF, 4e, FATE) just can't match, and as someone who wants grid combat and cool tactical options without going full minis and wargame status, it works well. It's not perfect, especially balance-wise (for example my roommate played a ranger and I played a bard, and at the levels we played at (1 to 5), he just felt overshadowed unless we were specifically tracking or hunting or something, since I was a better caster, better skill monkey, and was also dancing around in melee while he shot arrows. That said, it's fucking fun. I have a really rules-light homebrew game that I dust off when there are complete newbies, but for people with some experience, 5e is actually relatively easy to pick up and play. It feels intuitive, and there isn't anything that I feel like has been obviously missing from gameplay. Obviously there are things it doesn't do well, but most of those are genre things and not the fault of the system.
>>
>>49157836
Oh, jeez.

> What got you into DnD?
> What was your first edition?

That was actually one of my players; I was running Exalted 2e, and was getting tired of it (as was everyone else), and I'd been curious about D&D, so I suggested we try out 4e. It worked out, for a while. Did some Faerun, did more Dark Sun (loved that...miss it only slightly). Then, that same player went, "Hey, you want to try 2e D&D?" and I went, "Sure!" Down the rabbit-hole I went. I also ran, for about a year, a mix of 2e, 3.5, PF, and B/X, before 5e came out.

> How do you feel about 5e, etc, etc?

Love it. 4e was trash. 2e was fun, but was a headache. Don't even get me started on 3.5 and PF. I actually ran PF for the beginning of Rise of the Runelords, before 5e came out and I converted it to 5e for exactly that purpose.
>>
>>49158041
>It's streamlined in a way that other editions and even other games I've played (3.5, PF, 4e, FATE) just can't match

I've grown accustomed to the idea that streamlining things could lead to casualizing the game and losing depth, what is it about 5e that manages to streamline stuff and be praised for it?

I'm a 5e babby here so I can't really say for previous editions. Just curious cause you'd think that it might come off as dumbing it down to get a bigger audience (not saying it is though)
>>
Stupid question time: how do I show the dungeon map to the players? Do I let them draw what they see as they walk or do I give them the map from the start? Playing on a grid, by the way.
>>
>>49157894
My boss gave me a literal real-life high-five today, but for some reason I'm way more proud of that Fonz jpg.
>>
>>49155450
Also:
On Eberron, Tiamat is one of about 30 thirty overlords who are embodiments of Khyber. They are nearly god-like and may as well be gods considering how absent the gods in Eberron are.
>>
>>49158099
I think it's valid to say it's been "dumbed down," since it definitely takes less brainpower to play, but personally, even as someone who's capable of crunch, I always find that crunch slows down pace, removes real tension, and hurts roleplaying. My homebrew is shit-simple, and people, non-gamers especially, love it because it really gives them the feeling that they can do anything (or at least try to do anything).

I don't have a great answer for you, but somehow the way 5e is streamlined it lets you inhabit this magical fantasy world without having to think too often about dice and math, while still having enough rules that you feel constrained by the "physics" of the world. It's struck a balance that I think works really well for what a lot of people want.
>>
>>49157836
>What got you into DnD?
My, and my friends', curiosity.
>What was your first edition?
4E, when it first came out. We spent a few weeks before we realised the monster HP values were all to cock, and I gave minions d6 hp instead of just 1 because the warlock figured out a way to deal 1 damage for free every round (might have been an item)
>Was it your first PnP?
I'd played a game of the GW Judge Dredd rpg before, as well as a 3e D&D zombie game one of my friend's brother ran, but basically yeah
>How you do you feel about 5e compared to the first edition you played?
Improvement. As much as I enjoyed 4E, having fewer gamey parts is good. The huge list of options at every level up it accumulated as it aged made leveling unfun. The character creator subscription thing was dumb too.
>>
>>49158102
Draw it as they are travelling
Draw it all before hand and cover unexplored bits with paper
Draw it out part by part on plastic sheets and put them on the grid as they explore, or buy some gaming paper (its like wrapping paper with a grid), draw the map, and cut it up into rooms

I feel player made maps are better when either someone is scouting, or its an overworld map
>>
>>49157836
Friends brought me into a new game (only 2 of the 10 had ever played before) of 3e.
Yes, it was.
I greatly prefer 5e to the mess that was 3/3.5/P
>>
>>49157836
>What got you into DnD?
Uncle played in the 70s. I like my uncle.
2nd in theory, 3rd in practice.
>Was it your first PnP?
If you don't count my brother's friend Jimmy using pen and paper to run a sort of impromptu Masters of Orion Homebrew while I was a kid, yeah.
>How you do you feel about 5e compared to the first edition you played? (disregard if you started with 5e)
Simpler in a lot of ways and I'm pretty cool with that.
>>
>>49158102
I only bring the grid out when battles happen, and even then only if it's necessary. The rest of the time I'm drawing not-to-scale maps as they explore, or drawing rough areas as they fight a single opponent or other simple confrontation. Enough info to play with, but not as time consuming as measuring stuff out on the grid.
>>
>>49158102
For dungeon maps, I tend to draw them room by room, as our table's not too big.

For world or overland maps, I make them purchase them if they want them (and they have an easier time navigating). I have a worldmap that I follow along their progress with. If they want better, they have to go buy it or steal it.
>>
>>49158099
Like it or not, tabletop gaming has to compete with video games for people's attention, and the strength of tabletop is the roleplay and open-ended interactions. A more streamlined tabletop system plays to those strengths and spends less time bogged down in resolving equations that technology could do faster than you can blink.

>>49157836
>What got you into DnD?
I went to college and the first group of friends I made were people playing MtG. I got along with them well and one invited me to play D&D with him.

3.0. What a clusterfuck it was, but I didn't know any better at the time.

>Was it your first PnP?
Yes. I thought it was something old people did before I met people close to my own age who wanted to play. Where I grew up, no one ever talked about TTRPGs.

>How do you feel about 5e compared to the first edition you played?
I love it. I never had a problem with the math of 3.0 and then 3.5, but I played with plenty of people who did take forever because of all the modifiers they had to remember. The only thing I miss is having 6+ books to pull monsters from when I was DMing 3.5, and that will come with time anyway. I'm a lot more creatively inspired as a 5e DM since I broke away from 3.5's mentality that everything on the DM's side must be governed by the same rules the players use. Knowing the game is balanced for no magic items, I have much more fun creating magic items with no numerical benefits that my players still have fun with.
>>
>>49157836
My therapist said I should try to do something social and I liked crpgs
4e
Yes
Prefer 5e much more. Much more simple. Couldn't even make a 4e character without the builder and it felt like the abilities held you back from creativity in combat.
>>
>>49158303
Second the relative lack of monsters. Probably my biggest "complaint" so far, and one that will solve itself really quickly.
>>
Hey guys, I'm going to be running my first game of Fifth edition this coming Thursday, if all things go well, and I just have a few quick questions before I set out.

The game will be set on Innistrad using the Plane Shift document that was recently released, and the players will be starting at fifth level. I've already got the town that they'll be starting in set up and I have a number of NPCs that are designed as far as background goes, but have not yet been stated, and plothooks enough to (hopefully) keep them interested.

So I was curious, I'm assuming that statting an NPC is the same as statting a player character of the level?

Are there any guidelines for how to stat custom monsters? A lot of the creatures I'll be using are going to be generated based off of cards from Magic:The Gathering, at least for the larger encounters, and while I want it to be challenging I don't want to murder my whole player group (at least at first).

Also how powerful is a group of 5th level characters in Fifth edition? I know they'll start at around 10,000 exp, but does that mean that they'll be well-known adventurers off the bat?

Thanks for help in advance, I really appreciate it.
>>
>>49157836
>What got you into DnD?

I got the expert blue box for old D&D for Christmas. Nobody knew clearly what it was, so thus the confusion.

My first real game play would be 1e. However, my heaviest game play was 2e by far when it came out.

>Was it your first PnP?

Yes. Although until 2e came out I spent more time playing Champions than D&D.

>How you do you feel about 5e compared to the first edition you played? (disregard if you started with 5e)

I miss the complete handbooks - I would really like to see them come back. But, for me, 5e plays like I remember the good sessions of 2e playing.
>>
>>49158409
If your players are also somewhat new, I would like to suggest starting at a lower level. Say 2nd level instead. That way they can grow in to their archetypes.

Fifth level characters can do lots of stuff. That is a lot of stuff for new players, and a new GM, to handle and be aware of. Consider lowering everything a bit. At least to third level perhaps.
>>
>>49158409
>So I was curious, I'm assuming that statting an NPC is the same as statting a player character of the level?

It can be. But I think most people don't go in to that kind of detail. Make notes of the most important stuff you want to remember, keep it simple after that.

>Are there any guidelines for how to stat custom monsters? A lot of the creatures I'll be using are going to be generated based off of cards from Magic:The Gathering, at least for the larger encounters, and while I want it to be challenging I don't want to murder my whole player group (at least at first).

I'd suggest just using the closest monster from the Monster Manual. Then just change the fluff description to match what you want, maybe with an ability change as needed.
>>
>>49158500
>If your players are also somewhat new, I would like to suggest starting at a lower level. Say 2nd level instead

My group and I are veteran players, I'm just new to GM'ing personally. I appreciate the suggestion though.
>>
>>49158234
Ok, I'll try that.
>>
>>49158409
>Also how powerful is a group of 5th level characters in Fifth edition? I know they'll start at around 10,000 exp, but does that mean that they'll be well-known adventurers off the bat?

It will depend on each campaign of course. But in most games I have run I would consider them to be locally known heroes. They have done some real shit. Probably not known outside their local area, at least not in the famous sense.

Largely it would depend on what they did to get to 5th level and who would have been impacted by that. If it was mostly defeating stuff around their local village, then just the local area would know/care. If it was the nations capital, then more people might know.
>>
>>49158261
>>49158264
These are also good. I'll keep them. Thanks.
>>
Trying to desing a crit-fishing build

Vhuman, (Lucky), Champ 3, Rogue X? Or should I go barb to reckless attack?
>>
>>49158616
Champion fighter has a 10% chance to critically hit. Advantage gives you 2 chances to critically hit. You have a 90% chance that your first die is NOT a critical, meaning that 90% of the time the advantage die is worth another 10% of 90% chance to critical, so advantage turns the Champion feature from 10% to 19% chance to critically hit. Reckless attack is the easiest way to have advantage all the time.
>>
>>49158718
If I build it as a single attack per round, I can buy scrolls of find familiar and have the familiar use the assist action every round to give me advantage.
>>
>>49158753
If you're DM is cool with that, go ahead, but don't assume scrolls like that are available without talking to your DM first.
>>
>>49158819
>Adventure's League
It's been discussed repeatedly. They're fine with treating it as a 100 gp tax. Hell, the store owner's character uses his familiar to hit on his smites
>>
>>49158833
>Adventure's League
Never played it. I don't have problems forming groups, so why deal with the most autistic of the autists in the community?
>>
>>49158753
How would you cast it?
>>
>>49158875
It's a scroll, anyone can cast a scroll

>>49158860
>I don't have problems forming groups
>So why are you doing X?
Gee, it's almost like you answered your own question.
>>
>>49158895
>It's a scroll, anyone can cast a scroll
That's how I houserule it, but it's not by the rules, unfortunately. RAW you can only read a scroll if its spell pertains to your class's spell list. Otherwise it is unintelligible.
>>
>>49158616
Halfling with two-weapon fighting, Halfling Luck also allows you to reroll 1s on advantage-- remember that. Most of the best damage magical damage dice weapons are 1h, get another attack and you can also apply more poisons. Lucky Feat won't help you that much, you'll end up using it for saves and important skill checks in actual play really.

Multi-classing is very risky in 5e, you have to time your levels perfectly. It's the only way to truly fuck a character up in 5E into uselessness. Going straight fighter is probably your best choice if you have magical support, you get more ASIs and attacks.
If you know what you're doing, go paladin with a champ dip or Fighter 1/Warlock 5/ Paladin 2/ Champ 3 is a fun bladelock build; smiting with pact magic and an expanded crit range is great.

>>49158718
Just flank, hit them in the back or knock assholes prone, reckless attack is dangerous if you don't have rage up and you probably won't as a dip.
>>
File: spell scroll.png (94KB, 399x157px) Image search: [Google]
spell scroll.png
94KB, 399x157px
>>49158895
I don't know about AL rules, but you can't RAW. Only non spell caster than can use them is a thief
>>
>>49158941
Flank is an optional rule. Not everyone uses it
>>
>>49158951
I'll double check, but I think there was a ruling, perhaps explicitely for AL since they give scrolls as loot.

>>49158941
Hmm, perhaps straight fighter grapple build. Push them down, grapple them on my action surge/second attack, then go to town with the rest of my party?
>>
I ran a campaign my friends refer to as "The Rollercoaster" because of how hard I railroaded them, but they still had a good time. Odds are, they would have a much better time if I didn't railroad them. How can I make a more "open" campaign? How do I plan for something like that?
>>
>>49159005
Just pretend they have choice, but no matter what they do, just give them the shit you planned. The won't know ;^)
>>
File: youthinkthisisfunny.gif (1MB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
youthinkthisisfunny.gif
1MB, 450x253px
>>49158969
So are diagonals, rare races, magic items, multi-classing, skills and feats.

If you don't use flanking, even with theater of mind, your DM pretty much just hates melee and wants all the power gamers to roll sharp shooters instead.
>>
>>49159005
You need downtime in order to have openness, where players decide what to do next and manage what they have(such as holdings, lairs, crafting or slaves). That means episodic or survival campaign rather than an epic. Thule setting is probably the best option for 5E right now in that regard.
>>
>>49157836
My older brother had me play healbot cleric in revised 2e when I was like 5.
I prefer 5e to 2e for it's simplicity, but liked the variety of options available in 2e. Overall I hated 4e, liked 3.5e but was too "OP" compared to the people I played with( 2 rogue/assassin characters and a basic sorcerer... yeah it wasn't hard to be OP compared to them), I like/liked pathfinder but prefer it with a bunch of houserules that make it more like 2e so nobody I know wants to play in games I DM.
>>
>>49159001
Grapple builds are more supporty anti-caster, they work well for meatshields. A crit build is more of a damage dealing carry type.

Ball bearings, grease spell, wolves and shield bashers are really good ways to knock enemies prone. Ball bearings and mastiffs are something you ought to buy.
>>
>>49159152
Nah man, flanking can completely invalidate some abilities, like Reckless Attack, cunning action hide, the third-level wolf totem, and others. It can work in some groups but it's honestly not worth using in others.
>>
>>49157836
It was something I wanted to try and a friend from work invited me.

First game was a simple no-system thing with a bunch of people, it was a blast. First system I really played regularly was 3.PF.

5e is the best edition by a mile.
>>
>>49155450
She's never been in the abyss, she's been in the first layer of the Nine Hells (sometimes the ruler of it, sometimes just trapped there).
>>
>>49159426
Not really, melee is high risk and it requires teamwork; it's not up as much as you might think especially if you use facing and the monster grapple players. Flanking is hard against smart creatures like hobgoblins that understand military tactics, but easy against stupid ones that break rank. It requires players working together and makes formations a bigger deal, as it should be.
Reckless Attack is still used all the time, barbarians are retards that love going off on their. Wolf totem is still fine, since now the other melees don't have to isolate themselves to flank and they can just form a shield wall instead.

>cunning action hide
You better be just talking about lightfoot halfings, no way should melee be hiding in the middle of a brawl otherwise.
>>
File: 1461887488768.jpg (222KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
1461887488768.jpg
222KB, 1024x724px
>>49157836
>What got you into DnD?
I like books
Very tail end of 2e, but mostly 3.0.
>Was it your first PnP?
Yep
In retrospect, 5e's pretty solid. Even if the options are fewer, the rules (barring some silly RAW) show the experience and nuance gained through 3/3.x/SWSE/4e, etc. I do miss some things about 3.0, in particular (the population statistics in the 3.0 DMG is a particularly noteworthy example of 3.x's (poorly executed?) simulationist ruleset), but I can live without them.

I have to say, though, after 4e I really thought I was done with D&D. So I suppose 5e's done something right to pull me back in.
>>
Which one is more fun to play? A shadow monk/assassin or a deathbloom druid? Either way I rolled very very well on stats so I wouldn't have to worry about that part of it at all.
>>
>>49157836
>What got you into DnD?
Saw one of the old box sets. Wanted it.
Loved fantasy novels already.
AD&D/2e
>Was it your first PnP?
Yup.
I like it a lot so far.
It captures the feel of 2e while streamlining the rules easier for new players and thus making it easier to get people into it.
>>
>>49156928
2h str is most damage slightly, dex is good overall, and obviously allows range. dex is also "easier" and "more forgiving" since it allows your offensive, and defensive stat to be the same
>>
Our current campaign is drawing to a close and I am working on making an assassin. I want to focus on DPR so I can sneak ahead and take out high profile targets. To accomplish this I think I am going to take a few levels in fighter, and maybe some in ranger... My question for you guys is: at what level should I start taking fighter levels and how many should I take (the campaign is likely to end around 10, but could go longer.
>>
>>49157223
Why hand crossbow over other kinds? Is it just for that bonus action attack?
>>
>>49160284
Not that anon, but the extra +10 dmg from sharpshooter with the extra attack is the real draw I think.
>>
Hey guys running a one off during downtime on a vacation with some friends. It's only two players, one experienced and one not. The less experienced player wants to roll Ranger, but from last I remember standard PHB Ranger eats dirt real easily. How do I pre-build his character for him so that he stands a fighting chance? Other player is a rogue and is fairly adept. Assume they start at level 3.
>>
>>49160416
>Assume they start at level 3
Have the ranger be a hunter, and make sure he takes the Break the Horde or whatever feature gives an attack against an adjacent enemy, and make sure to set it up where he can get those off. That way he'll be attacking twice if he does things right, versus the rogue's one stronger (potentially) attack.
Maybe give them each a starting feat, if the hunter has Crossbow Expert and a hand crossbow he could even make another attack as a bonus action.
>>
>>49160416
you could also use some of the homebrew fixes to ranger if you think its that bad
ranger just works in a way where its not terrible, but unless certain things happen, they all add up to a subpar class. so if you never deal with food, tracking, or survival, he's lost 1/3 of his abilities

consensus ranger is an alright fix, but not everyone likes it, because magic/nonmagic ranger opinions
>>
>>49160548
oh, i also forgot that its BM fix is pretty fuckin barebones, its barely any actual change. i personally think its good though, but if he wants to have a pikachu, be prepared to do a little extra work with him
>>
>>49160548

Ahh, gotcha. I was actually gonna set the game up as a hunt that ends with confronting the beast in its lair, so that's helpful. I'm so used to having to wrangle power gamers I've nearly forgotten how to work with some of the "weaker" classes. Basically gonna reflavor a behemoth or something as a Tetsucabra from Monster Hunter.
>>
Speaking of downtime, how does a DM run downtime sessions? Just treat it like a slice of life anime? I have never done it before and my table is gonna end their adventure soon. Players are going of om how they want to spend their downtime doing this and that. I look at the DMG and PHB and it has stuff like training for 250 days and shit.
>>
>>49160745
Just wing it bro.
>>
I love Blade Pact Warlocks, but they're considered to be the weakest option for warlocks. I'm trying to come up with some homebrew ideas to buff them. can I get some opinions on these?

Arcane Blade
Prereqisite: Pact of the Blade
You may use your pact weapon as an arcane implement. Whenever you cast a spell or use an abilty that requires you to touch a target, you may make a single melee attack with your pact weapon instead, delivering the spell and dealing weapon damage.

Blinkblade
Prerequisite: Pact of the Blade, level 11
You may summon your pact weapon as a bonus action. When you use your action to make one or more attacks with your pact weapon, you can cause the weapon to blink in and out of reality, attacking from unexpected angles. Until the beginning of your next turn, you have advantage on all melee attacks made with your pact weapon. You may use this ability a number of times equal to your Charisma bonus, after which you must take a short or long rest before using it again.

Hideous Blow
Prerequisites: Pact of the Blade, Eldritch Blast cantrip
When you use an action make a melee attack with your pact weapon, you deal 1d10 force damage in addition to your normal damage. You may apply any invocation that modifies your eldritch blast to this attack, except for invocations that alter it's range. If you have multiple rays of eldritch blast (gained at levels 5, 11, and 17) and multiple attacks (for example, from the thirsting blade invocation), you may apply this damage once per attack, limited by your maximum rays or maximum attacks (whichever is fewer).

I only have the 3 core books so I dunno if anything like these already exists.
>>
File: CyOaYLp.jpg (3MB, 1736x2456px) Image search: [Google]
CyOaYLp.jpg
3MB, 1736x2456px
>>49160730
http://imgur.com/a/qDzJ1
if theres tracking, he'll be a little happy getting some use out of his semi useless abilities
also, if its within reason try to throw him a bone with his favored enemy.
he doesn't get any bonus to fighting it for some godforsaken reason, but he'll be happy to be killing them anyway
>>
MY DM IS A FUCKMAN
>>
>>49161108
NICK MAN DICK MAN
>>
>>49161130
HE LOVES THE DICK
>>
Any suggestions for a magical item that increases magic missile darts? I'm calling it Manacle of Multiple Magic Missiles, but I'm not sure what exactly the effect should be.
The spell's At Higher Level effect is +1 dart for each level, and I'm thinking the item's effect would be an additional X darts where X is the level spell slot. Thoughts?
>>
>>49161452
Manacle of Multiple Magic Missiles - Very Rare

1/day when you cast magic missile, go ahead and get 15 extra missile you fucking whore.

Or something
>>
>>49161452
Manacle of Multiple Magic Missiles - Very Rare

you can cast magic missile as a bonus action, but only as long as you have 4 1st lvl spell slots.
>>
>>49161987
Clarification, you can fire a magic missile Dart as a bonus action.
>>
What is your emergency plot hook in case the party decides to not enter this dungeon you designed to the tiniest detail?

hardmode: no railroading them back to it
>>
>>49162387
Antagonist X kidnaps friend of party Y and holes up in dungeon Z.
>>
>>49162387
have something crawl out of it and assault travelers.
>>
>>49162387
>Wild boar stampede, with a single wildly flailing goblin astride the lead pig.

Ignore my dungeons, go hog wild.
>>
How antsy and easily triggered are the drow?
I have a personal mission to inform any drow of high power about a incoming lich problem and if they have any info/clues about it then they should inform me (pally)

my more experience party are telling me it a terrible idea to go directly to the church/nobles cause drow are terrible people and they will even kill envoy and diplomat for shit and giggle

I am told by the gm that I could bypass this by going through a group of drow that dont believe in the common drow religion but I also know that source is not telling the whole truth
>>
>>49156484
Its one extra dmg. Don't be a faggot
>>
>>49158969
>>49159152
>>49159426
That's why you don't use the stupid "Flank for advantage" variant rule from the DMG, and houserule a +2 to hit like in previous editions
My group also has a houserule which allows flanking to give advantage instead of the +2, but ONLY if the character being flanked can't move without provoking at least 2 AoOs
>>
>>49160416
If they want a hunter, they'll do fine. If they want a beastmaster, let the pet roll its own initiative and do stuff without being ordered and it's all fine
>>
>>49160745
Just ask your players if they want some downtime, and if they do, let them rest for as long as they want, unless some shit goes down. That way it's going to feel more natural than AL downtime
You can safely reduce the training to three or four months without breaking absolutely anything.
>>
>>49162387
Some random NPC is going to tell the party that there's a weapon of X type in there, where X is the favored weapon used by Y party member, who doesn't already have a weapon they like. So, there's gonna be rumors about a cool axe or firearm in there, because the barbarian already got a spear he likes
>>
>>49162387
one pc steps on a magical portal leading into the dungeon
>>
>>49163158
>Implying that's not railoading
>>
>>49163167
its all railroading
>>
DMing CoS

My players helped Kasimir resurrect his sister. They escaped and made their way to Krezk and rested. Patrina promptly slit Kasimir's throat and drank his blood to become a vampire as via Amber Temple method.

When the players kill her and she rises as a vamp, I will have her throw Time Stop and then Fly into the air and then magically enlarge the skull of Argynvost they have to 2000lb and ride it down and crush the party.

Y/N?
>>
>>49163214
Doesn't mean it has to be painfully obvious. A good DM at least their players an illusion of choice
>>
>>49157836
>What got you into D&D?
Funny enough, the Yu-Gi-Oh manga had a chapter where they were playing a tabletop game with a GM from hell. I got interested and found out that D&D was a bit like that.
3.5, but despite getting the books in high school I never found anyone to play with until college. I read that PHB cover to cover though.
>Was it your first PnP?
I'd say so, yeah. First session I remember I played a half-orc monk. I barely knew any of my class features so I just ended up throwing things everywhere, up to and including living statues.
It's a lot more streamlined, which is a good thing. I got into OSR games before 5e came out and I definitely noticed a few similarities. The backgrounds mechanic definitely helps reduce the amount of people who go "My character is a [race] [class] who does [combat-related thing]." that plagued 3.5 groups I played with so much. Now people actually consider their characters' motivations, likes, dislikes, etc. and actually make an attempt at roleplay, it's fucking amazing.
>>
Does anyone have a scan of the condition tables from the DM screen? I'm putting together my own resource, but these present the information in a nice, concise fashion. Thanks!
>>
Has anyone gotten a copy of 'Cloud Giant's Bargain'?
>>
>>49163239
Never had someone cast Time Stop before. Would you describe the players what happens in that time, because normaly they wouldn't be able to see what happens, don't they?
>>
>>49163647
Hmm, I'll think about it
>>
>>49163239
What spell is letting her enlarge the skull?
>>
>>49162387

Depends on what they do instead

go "yeah, it's probably a bit tough for you right now"

and then make it up

For example: If they decide to hit up a town, there's a fair going on. Regale them with the delight of happiness, joy and a peaceful hope spot
Ah, but lo and behold, there's a fortune teller in one of the corners, that everyone is swearing by. One of your party members is surely going to wish to see it
Inside, she swoons, and whoops and gives a proper showing, until your high WIS guy notices its all a fucking con! She's using enchantment spells to rip you off from your treasure!

He tries to stop this but Ack! She is startled and starts squirming like a bitch. One of them tries to grab her and WHOOOMP

You've been teleported into the dungeon
>>
File: Capture.png (116KB, 373x172px)
Capture.png
116KB, 373x172px
>>49155532
>>
I'm making a Mystic for Curse of Strahd (from the Psionic UA). How does this character concept sound?

>Raised in a church
>kidnapped by Vistani and taken to Barovia
>Surrounded by evil, would constantly have to meditate and shut out the world while reminding himself of the good that holy people can do
>Years of meditation eventually awakens psionic abilities
>He believes that these abilities are divine magic, and becomes an Inquisitor-style hunter of evil

This is to replace my last character who died, so the group will likely be meeting him at Vistani camp they're heading to. He's a human with the Inquisitor background from Planeshift: Innistrad. Does this character sound viable enough?
>>
>>49164586
It's fine but... why a Mystic? Just because they're OP?
Play a Cleric.
>>
>>49164706
>mystic
>OP
Wat.
>>
>>49164706
Whats OP about mystics? Not saying they aren't, just curious
>>
>>49164706
I just really enjoy the Mystic class. Psionics have always been cool and I've been wanting to try them out.

I had this idea that since he was kidnapped when he was young, he didn't actually know too much about the God of the church he was raised in, so would make up his own sort of stories in Barovia. So when he became a Mystic, he believed it was powers granted to him by a God, but in reality the God he reveres doesn't even actually exist.

I may have also been a little inspired by that Innistrad art.
>>
AFAICT, the Arcane Power Source of 4th edition was always there, just that the Weave was created by Mystra to make magic more controlled and accessible (and to make herself more important in association with it).

From 4e Forgotten Realms Campagin Guide:

>For eons, magic in Toril was focused through the Weave, controlled by the goddess Mystra. Although Netherese wizards of ancient days learned the truth, most people believed that magic would not be possible without the deity’s existence. However, the death of Mystra gave the lie to that belief.

This suggests that the Arcane Power Source is still there, and the Weave is built around it. Is direct access to the Arcane Power Source still possible, and how would you represent that mechanically?
>>
DM'd a Lost Mines run with people new to the adventure (3 of 4 being new to DnD altogether)

My party decided to forgo following the goblin that ran off after Goblin Arrows ambush encounter and head right dor Phandalin. While in town, they ran into the Redbrands, tangented off to an improv'd hook when they decided to take one of the Redbrands prisoner and cage him in the inn basement. Now It looks like they will deal with the Redbrand hideout and deal with finding Gundren later (which Barthen one of the NPCs breadcrumbed them to check back at the ambush site for signs of him which would lead to the goblin cave hideout) some time has passed for quite a while since the ambush (like nearly two days)

Now my concern is Sildar, the NPC hostage in the Cragmaw cave beyond the goblin trail. Should I let him die off? At one point it will give players urgency that if they diddle daddled things like this can happen but at the same time, there is a bit in me that feels like it may be too harsh for such a loss esp for the ones new to the game? I am leaning towards killing Sildar off but I'd like some opinions.
>>
>>49165430
I thought the weave was like a bridge between the world and raw magic. Normal beings/creatures can't handle raw magic.
>>
File: perfidious albion.png (8KB, 247x401px) Image search: [Google]
perfidious albion.png
8KB, 247x401px
Why is starting a new campaign at level 1 the best /5eg/ and why is starting at anything else is fucking shit
>>
>keep looking for good introductory modules
>either boring or shit
save me from this hell /tg/
>>
>>49165666
>Read fiction
>copy and modify it to suit it
>???
>>
Can a fighter/rogue use the hold action to get 2 sneak attacks per round?
>>
>>49165638
It's the best for new players, but the first two levels of the game are dogshit and boring. There's a reason they only take a couple of encounters each to level out of. If you don't need rocket tag training mode turned on it is best to skip straight to 3
>>
>>49165911
Yes. Though just picking up the sentinel feat is probably easier.
>>
File: Capture.png (795KB, 668x560px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
795KB, 668x560px
Lets say my CN magic nigger who doesn't comprehend the ways of those silly gods and paladins decides to True Polymorph our LN Paladin into a Planetar to see what happens and because it'll make our party marginally stronger.

Would their god get pissed at this?
>>
>>49166086
The LN Paladin shouldn't allow it and should consult his God about it
>>
>>49166030
I was planning on it being a ranged build, and I am taking the levels in fighter anyway for action surge... And I don't think sentinel would allow me to get the attack unless someone moved away anyway.
>>
>>49165430
>This suggests that the Arcane Power Source is still there, and the Weave is built around it.
It does, I suppose.
>Is direct access to the Arcane Power Source still possible
No, it exploded along with every other dumbass retcon that 4e added into the Realms and got it's ass tossed back to Nentir Vale. Seriously, what was even the POINT of "Arcane Power Source"? Could WotC not trademark "The Weave" or some stupid shit like that?
>how would you represent that mechanically?
By playing 4e.
>>
>>49166107
Why wouldn't he allow it? There is nothing oath breaking or dishonorable about becoming a god-like entity.
>>
File: FLCL.jpg (20KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
FLCL.jpg
20KB, 500x375px
>>49166086
>muscular and hairless
>tower over most humanoids, brandishing immense swords with grace
>>
>>49166128
>Changing form is basically changing a contract, after all when you die the God moves on
>not oath breaking
>>
>>49166156
>idk anything about D&D cosmology
>changing form is weird to me
>paladins can't do it

Changing form is not changing a contract.It's literally just changing form. It could raise the question of what becomes of your soul, but you are already an angel. That was kinda the end game anyway.
>>
>>49162813
The drow literally only deal with other species if they think they can't get away with enslaving them right then and there; their culture is astoundingly racist and exceedingly paranoid.
You might be able to "deal" with one if you met a party of them and killed the ENTIRE party except one, but as soon as that drow linked up with the others the deal is done and they probably won't honor it.

The GM is correct though; it's the Lolth-worshipping drow that are so astoundingly paranoid and racist. Vhaeraunian drow are willing and able to make deals (which they WILL try to get an advantage in and might not honor), but that's more then Lolth-worshippers. Eliastraee's drow will honor your deals unless it's not possible for them to do so...plus since they do a lot of naked dancing everywhere you might get a show for free.
>>
>>49157836
>What got you into D&D?
Dexter's Lab and crushing loneliness

3.5e

>Was it your first PnP?
Yes.

I feel it's way easier, both as a player and as a DM. Since its way much more rules-light(er) than 3e or Pathfinder.
>>
Monk's ki points say you double you jumping distance after spending one. But I fail to find what the normal distances are... do they exist?
>>
>>49165638
Fair opinion, but just an opinion. I start my group at lvl 1 simply because they like starting off as fresh adventurers and like the challenges low levels can bring. However I feel level 3 would be the best starting level simply because it bypasses the utter bullshit that can happen at level 1 from an unfortunate series of rolls.
>>
Speaking of True Polymorph, I'm about to hit 17 for the first time (Though it's kinda cheating because this game started at 15) and want to think of something good.

Adult Bronze Dragon seems to be the obvious choice, (Mainly for shape change to appear normal unless it's ass-kicking time) but if there's anything that might be better at a lower CR with good utility I'm open to suggestions.

Whatever it is it's gotta be able to speak, make Somatic movements, and read a spellbook.
>>
>currently running Ravenloft
>players exploring Death House
>steamroll ghouls
>nearly get raped by shadows (CR 1/2 without a light cleric, lolno)

Okay, how do you stop 5e combat from turning into a combat slog? I try to keep the game balanced around MUH THREE PILLARZ as much as possible, but we ran into some issues with combat last night where things just devolved into swing-hit-damage exchanges.

Any tips to spice it up? 5e doesn't offer a ton of tactical options for non-casters.
>>
>>49166332
Jumping is on page 182 of the phb.
If you're lazy as well as bad at using the phb's index, your long jump is equal to your strength score in feet if you have a running jump (10 feet), or half that without a running jump. Your high jump is 3+str modifier with a running jump, half without.
>>
>>49166367
>Speaking of True Polymorph, I'm about to hit 17 for the first time (Though it's kinda cheating because this game started at 15) and want to think of something good
Easiest decision of all time.
>>
>>49166378
I've been looking for it in the Skills section. You know, where it's been for the last two edition.
Thanks
Also, you're a cunt.
>>
>>49166372
>MUH THREE PILLARZ
Can we not do this "muh" meme here? It's obnoxious and conveys zero information.

5e in general doesn't have the bucketloads of hp for true slogs. Unless both sides have really good frontlines, there should always be some maneuvering happening.

As far as tactical options, you can shove to move things around and make them prone. This is plenty if you're creative with the environment.

>>49166416
You're welcome, I guess
>>
>>49166415
>Can't speak Japanese
dropped
>>
>>49166415
>+2 dexterity
>Not wanting adorably clumsy waifu catgirl
2/10 literally unplayable
>>
>>49166221
thing is I though the task given
"warn drow (at this moment ) about an impending undead horde that could raising and if they have information about any event relating to it please inform me"
seem like a easy task but everyone is like that is going to cause trouble
>>
Is it just me or does Weird not seem like it should be a level 9 spell?

Level: 9
Type: Illusion
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V S
Duration: Concentration, up to one minute
Used By: WIZ
Drawing on the deepest fears of a group of creatures, you create illusory creatures in their minds, visible only to them.

Each creature in a 30-foot-radius sphere centered on a point of your choice within range must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, a creature becomes frightened for the duration.

The illusion calls on the creature's deepest fears, manifesting its worst nightmares as an implacable threat. At the end of each of the frightened creature's turns, it must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or take 4d10 psychic damage. On a successful save, the spell ends for that creature.

It just seems like that's nowhere near the level of most other l9 spells.
>>
>>49166669
Weird is not a good spell - new at 11.
>>
>>49166663
Maybe wanna restart and type up the message in a way that's actually coherent?
I can't really understand the fine points of what you just send at all.
>>
>>49166237
I honestly respect cartoon cartoons more as an adult than I did as a teen.

>>49166663
Why do you need to warn the drow specifically? Wouldn't it make more sense to warn Silverymoon or something? Alternately, if it only affects the drow, who gives a shit?
>>
>>49166710
>I honestly respect cartoon cartoons more as an adult than I did as a teen.
Seth McFarlane pitched Family Guy there.
There was a skit involving an elderly idiot who is voiced by him using his Peter Griffin voice and a wiseass dog using his Brian voice.
>>
That new Adventures in Middle Earth book looks sweet.

Maybe they'll actually spend more than a nickel on binding.
>>
>>49166764

FffuuckI remembered that one cartoon. I recall the dog even dealing with a robotic massage bed before it going apeshit. I didn't realize it was Proto-Family Guy until recently.
>>
>What got you into DnD?
that looks cool
>Was it your first PnP?
yes
our dm was a faggot who ran dnd like it was a game and hated roleplaying, he actually hated 4e and went back to 3.5 and ran it like it was a miniatures wargame worse than 4, with rulers and and spirographs.
>>
>>49166692
>>49166710
I will try to be more detail
So first it is a homebrew game so there is that,
secondly my chara (veng Pally) was given a mission to hunt down a lich in area. So generally his task is to visit cities and ask if there have been any event that are linked to this lich and the creation of an undead army. So part of it would be to warn these city about this lich.

currently I am in a drow city, and my party members are telling me talking in anyone powerful is going to lead to problems
>>
>>49166865
Hard to judge for a homebrew, but if these drow are anything like "standard" (Forgotten Realms) drow, find a group of drow and give them the message and then leave. Talking to their nobility is foolish (they really are pretty bloodthirsty), but the warrior group would be obligated to bring the information to SOMEONE. Basically you set them up to be in your situation and get to walk away safely.

>>49166856
I'm not sure you actually answered that last question there
>>
So DMs, whats the first thing you create when making an adventure?

Trying to create an short adventure for a group who wants a short burst adventure for fun times. Not sure wherher I should start with the location or get right to designing NPCs or a dungeon. Whats your method?
>>
>What got you into DnD?
/tg/ was the first 4chins board I came across via 1d4chan from TVTropes several years back. Eventually I learned a bunch about it by osmosis from being on /tg/ so much.
5th
>Was it your first PnP?
yep
This is my first edition, and I only started playing this year after my roommate suggested I join his friends roll20 group. It's a load of fun and I like autistically making characters from character design since I'm a mediocre artist to backstory since there's no point in making a character without one, and pnp games are a perfect outlet for that.
>>
Are there any 3rd level spells on the same level of fireball? It seems like there is never a reason not to take it
>>
>>49166983
For a short adventure, start with a theme or a concept (undead cultists, gothic horror, faerie story (note: these are sorted in ascending order of scariness)). Once you have that, get a general plot going.

For an adventure consisting of only one or a few sessions, you really don't have to worry about meaningful player choices all that much. Tell a good story. If you want to throw them a bone, let them pick a side or pick a winner.
>>
What are good ways to make a Heavy Armor Mage?
>>
>>49166983
I take a concept before I pick a location or NPC's or dungeon, a basic idea of what the basis for the adventure is going to be about. The location, dungeons, NPC's, and even combat are all side-dishes to the main adventure.

Example; recently I did a one-shot with my group (we had a few hours as we had all gotten to something early) involving the party being hired to escort a decent size wagon train full of settlers and craftsman from the Waterdeep countryside region to Neverwinter where Lord Neverember was offering settlement incentives to people willing to help rebuild the city and such. The route they had taken ended up cutting through the territory of a recently relocated hobgoblin legion and gnoll pack who were fighting over territory, and it was their job as the settlers accidentally found themselves in between this conflict to keep as few people from dying while trying to reach safety.

The basic concept was just this; "large group of people moving in a direction because [insert regionally/culturally appropriate reasons], are beset by large numbers of [insert two groups of humanoids that outnumber both helpful NPC's and PC's], objective is to keep as many alive as possible."
That's it.
>>
>>49167092
>Fighter
>EK
done.

Else, Wizard -> Cleric
>>
>>49167092
1 level in cleric with a domain that gives it
1 level in fighter. 2 if you want action surge
>>
>>49167092
One level of Fighter.
True Polymorph as any spellcaster.
Seven levels of Fighter for War Magic EK 7
Warlock 2/Fighter 7/Sorcerer ???
>>
>>49167105
Yeah, but EK is more fighty and less blasty. Wizard Cleric could be cool though
>>
>>49157836
>What got you into DnD?
A friend.
>Was it your first PnP?
yes
Everything is smoother, though I'd prefer to personalize my skills like before I'd say 5ed is an improvement in the right direction.
>>
Someone sell me on the differences between Wizard and Sorcerer (Storm Sorcerer in particular.)

I'm still in the really early stages of character creation and don't know which I'll go with.
>tfw making up an entire character history without even picking the class or race yet
>>
>>49167092
1.) EK fighter
2.) wizard with dip into cleric domain that gives heavy armor proficiency
3.) dip into fighter then go full wizard
4.) Mountain dwarf wizard, pick up the heavy armor proficiency feat at level 4.
>>
>>49157836
>What got you into DnD?
My parents, when I was in the 3rd grade

Good questions; it was a one-shot with pregens and I was 9. Me and my friends spent a couple of years homebrewing systems and eventually got into 2e. So, uh, 2e, I guess.

>Was it your first PnP?
Yep

I could live the entire rest of my life without having to explain THAC0 to a teenager ever again. Also, 5e is the first edition to figure out both multiclassing and appropriate power curves, which is neat.
>>
What do you guys think of campaigns that almost exclusively use PHB race humanoids (specifically humies in my own) as the primary enemies? Like, almost no random encounters with beasties except in the deep wilds or as meaningful plot fights. My players are usually knee-deep in fighters, wizards, rangers, rogues and the occasional war dog when they're in the shit.
>>
My little nephew wants to get into DnD and he was excited about making his own character. Thing is when we got to the process of it, he looked rather out of it and asked me if it was always like this. The kid is 12 and he has a wide imagination and wants his own character so I was thinking if its possible if I can create a mini adventure based around character ceeation? I think it would be a fun project and would give him a hook into the character process. Sort of like an origin story for him.

Is it possible?
>>
>>49167319
Sure, as long as he'll pick a few things beforehand - definitely race and maybe background.
Like start him off as a child or adolescent of [race], and give him a few houses of what scenario to go to.
Stuff like, go hunting with your dad, or go see the travelling musicians who are in town.
I'm sure you've seen movies or games that start off going through a few different stages of the protagonists life as they grow up, use those as inspiration.
>>
>>49167319
Start him off with stats at 10, level 1, 10hp, and no class filled into his character sheet. Let him explore a local city and encounter the people of certain classes naturally. (i.e. a tower filled with wizards off in the distance, a temple for pallys and clerics, a tavern with rogues and bards, ect.), but try not to make it too video game-ey. Let him create the character's personality first and class second.

Also, godspeed keeping kids these days interested in P&P.
>>
File: WhatDoYouDo.jpg (144KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
WhatDoYouDo.jpg
144KB, 1000x1000px
>>49167381
"While traveling with a band of musicians, a hunter show up and demands you hand over your sweet roll.

What do you do?"
>>
>>49167210
Well what's your character history?
>>
>>49167210
The mechanical differences in 5e are even smaller than they were in 3.x. Basically just pick whatever makes sense for your character. Did you study magic or were you born with it?
>>
>>49157836
Always was into role-playing, but I would script my own bots on IRC that emulated JRPGs and make my own games and settings. In my late 20s I finally found a group to play DnD with.

Pathfinder

Yes

It seems a lot better to be honest
>>
File: slayer-acc.jpg (763KB, 1545x2500px) Image search: [Google]
slayer-acc.jpg
763KB, 1545x2500px
>>49167471
>>49134617
I wonder if links to archived threads work.
Storm Sorcerer might work out depending on how I decide to go about their wish being granted, I might take that and Air Gensai as a race (Though they would appear mostly human)
I dunno, on one hand Storm Sorcerer would work from the "given by a genie" bit but Wizard fits a lot better from the "they were a powerful caster before even meeting them" bit.

Also I'll be roughly basing the appearance off this /v/ guy, though I don't know the first thing about them other than they're apparently a vampire or something. I've yet to play a fancy well mannered Wizard dude.
>>
>>49167210
Wizards have spent a considerable amount of time studying magic, and they typically treat it as either a lifelong passion or a skill to be utilized.

Sorcerers are just born with it or gain it through certain conditions and can cast spells by sheer force of will. They don't do much book-studying.

Mechanically speaking, Wizards are for control and Sorcerers are for blasting. Some Wizzys are about not dealing direct damage to enemies, but making it harder for them to fight back while your buddies wail on them, making him more of a team player. Sorcs are all about dealing more damage and being balls deep in combat. They blow shit up gooder, but have a MUCH smaller spell list. Wizards also have their spellbook, which lets them in theory slot up any spell available to their class from lv 1-9 between rests while Sorcerers can only change spells on level up.
>>
>>49167587
Oh, you're the wizard genie guy. I much prefer wizard for that backstory.

Also, Slayer is from a 2d fighting game called Guilty Gear and he's by far my favorite character. In a game full of weeaboo fightan magic, edgy shadow sorcerers and a girl wielding a giant anchor, he fights with his fists and is a badass vampiric gentleman.
>>
File: best.png (44KB, 310x396px) Image search: [Google]
best.png
44KB, 310x396px
>>49167639
>>
File: t3_514oap.png (6MB, 1736x2456px) Image search: [Google]
t3_514oap.png
6MB, 1736x2456px
>>
I'm looking to order physical copies of the books, but I want the later printings with the errata. Anyone know where I can get those without having to pay cover price?
>>
>>49167759
Look in the OP dumbass
>>
>>49167776
What part of "physical books" did you not read?
>>
>>49165666
Introductory in what sense? To 5E for someone familiar with RPGs or for newbs?
>>
Need ASAP a puzzle related to weather.
>>
Any kind anon is working on SKT??

Just for keeping my spirit high
>>
>>49157836
>What got you into DnD?
My parents
3.0, first character was a barbarian named Ramrod whose wife was kidnapped by orcs. To the rest of the parties' surprise, it turned out that she WAS an orc, and her tribe abducted her and took her home because they disapproved of her marriage to a human.
>Was it your first PnP?
Yep, though I had played baldur's gate before then.
5e is vastly superior, I will probably never go back to 3.0 or 3.5, though I still play PF with some 3pp material and occassionally 4e, Shadowrun, and this super rules-lite game called Legendary Lives.
>>
>>49167905
"God wept, and the land flourished."

Hope somebody has Create Water.
>>
>>49167759

Amazon. They have high turn over so the books they ship should be the most recent print runs.
>>
>>49167905
Wall of metal levers.
Pulling them does nothing.
In some language that is appropriate to the setting but not Common, it is written "Lightning Strikes Twice"
Answer is to hit one of them with a lightning spell twice in a row. If they don't have casters, provide them with a limited-use staff.
>>
>>49167995
Thank you.
>>
>>49166669
Weird really just got grandfathered in, it should have been a sixth or seventh level spell if they weren't going to give it a stronger effect. Can you imagine ANYONE taking this spell over Wish, Foresight, or Meteor Swarm?
>>
>>49168105
Yeah that makes sense.

What if things affected by it for the full duration had it's effect become permanent
>>
>Female PC talking about looting a tomb
>Paladin gives her shit
>"Look, I'm an adventurer. We fight the bad guys, loot the treasures, and get the girl!"
>Me: "Jesus, don't break the door on your way out of the closet."
>>
>>49168187
>Male is default
>Incredulous about possible homosexuality
>Must inform 4chan!
>>/r9k/
>>
>>49168187
>Jesus
Why did that PC have a Mexican man's name?
>>
>>49167313
It can be good, but you'll need to make a good amount of varied NPC stat blocks with their own little things. Some people that trip, some that grapple, some that parts of the environment, and so on.
>>
File: KILL URSELF MY MAN.jpg (147KB, 1500x1500px)
KILL URSELF MY MAN.jpg
147KB, 1500x1500px
>>49168187
>>
>>49167319

>You are a little boy. You and your family are about to go on a great adventure!
>What is your name?
Name.
>"Naaame! " says your mom." hurry up, we're going to be late! "
>You better hurry! Pack up your stuff for the boat!
>intro into Rolling perception
>You dont have much room in your trunk.. You have to think carefuly about what you want to pack.
>You find a bat. Basebal is your favorite. Will that go first?
Standard Array, strength as primary ability
>Running Shoes, Scouts Manual, banjo. Etc. The order represents jis standard array stats.
>You run outside. There's people all around! Look for your parents!
>Roll investifation
>A group of couples stand out to the side. They are the races that benefit his primary stats.
>describe the race. Then ask:Are these your parents, or do you want to keep looking?
>>
>>49168501

>he chooses his parents. If the race gives him a choice of proficencies, one of the parents will pick up the sack and go
>"Great "NAME", there you are. Before we go, did you bring it? You so wanted to show your father.
>"Bring what?"
>"Why our tools, silly. We have jobs, you know. They're in the shelf"
>In the shelf inside there's a bunch of tools that can only be acessed through PUZZLE. Ask the maid for persuasion, or climb the shelves
>There he must choose what his parents tools are and thus his own specialties
>>
>>49168501
>>49168646
Keep going, I'm not even the same anon and I'm taking notes furiously
>>
>>49167695

Plague and Vicious Fangs look a bit strong, and Vicious Fangs is in a weird place specifying that the fangs are a melee weapon and not a natural weapon which could lead into some weird rules interactions.
>>
>>49168695

After dinner
>>
>>49167695
Looks more or less balanced, except for swarm tactics. Never give a player race an easy way to get advantage on attack rolls. It's too powerful.
>>
>>49165447
I'd just have the goblins ask for ransom money for Sildar from the town so they are reminded of the cave and a reason to go there
>>
>>49168828
As that's written they could cast Booming Blade with their teeth.
>>
>>49163800
Enlarge
>>
>can use prestidigitation to create clouds of fart smell

What are other spells with shitloads of uses?
>>
>>49168501, >>49168646
Your twelve year olds are idiots if this level of infantilization amuses them.
My twelve year old sister is intelligent enough to hold actual conversations and have real opinions about stuff she knows about.

Kids are a shitload smarter then people give them credit for.
>>
>>49169278
I think maybe you just have different tastes from chargen anon. I'm 27 and I think it's pretty cool. If a vidya did this I'd think it was unique and interesting.

>>49169212
Literally nothing has as many uses as presto, by definition. But Druidcraft and whatever the cleric gets are close.
>>
>>49168646

>Here you might add a bit about subraces, if particularly relevant. If they are gnomes they can be having a discussion about whose robots got into whose flower garden. Maybe a sister or an uncle for races with 50 subraces

>In the wagon, his loving parents pull out a book. It's his favorite! (Or maybe a news missive about his crazy uncle whom he LOVES, and wants to be JUST LIKE HIM WHEN HE GROWS UP)
>What's the story about?
>Donald, the Sailor? Robin, the thief? Oliver, the Urchin?

Here, you can go crazy, Mix and mash whatever background features and proficiency you want

Remember, there are three components to a background
Proficiencies, Feature, and Roleplay

>He was Steve, the Super Soldier! Master fighter, and leader of the group! (athetics and persuasion)

>It's his origin story!
>Steve was always a little [FLAW 1] or was it [FLAW 2]? But more importantly he was also [FEATURE 1], and maybe also [FEATURE 2]!
He always had a [KEY STARTING PACK], that never let him down through his adventures. One day, he found that [A PROBLEM HAD HAPPENED] and so he swore that [BOND 1].

You get the gist of it.

Now, from here, you can start any level 0 adventure you want that concludes in picking a class somehow. But if you want to just hurry it up the fuck along, you can always make a final:

>You finally get to the boat/magic school/caravan/whatever. It's the size of a cruise
>It ships off and you wave good bye to your town
>Music starts playing along, and its time for you to play with your friends at the party
>But where are they?
Then you prioritize a group of kids depending on his better stats.
>Playing pretend in a corner
>Are these your friends?
Enjoy your bard
>Trying to talk the churros guy into giving them a freebies
>Are these your friends?
Enjoy your warlock
>trying to poke holes in the wood and showing each other gross bugs
Enjoy your druid

There you go. Class, background, stats array and race.
>>
>>49169319
>If a vidya did this I'd think it was unique and interesting.
I actually agree on that point, but take it from someone who has multiple younger siblings he helped raise; the more you treat them like growing but intelligent beings who can formulate their own opinions and ideas, the smarter and smarter they'll get.

Kids learn SHOCKINGLY fast, especially compared to adults.
You don't need to throw them into the world early or anything but not treating them like babies when they're much older is a fantastic idea and turns them into bright, thoughtful young people.
>>
>>49169278

You're infantalizing them because the character starts out as an infant.
It doubles as a character generation tutorial, and an easy intro into roleplaying.
>>
>>49169212
>Minor Illusion/Illusion spells
Now that that is out of the way, some other interesting cantrips include:

Variations of Prestidigitation:
>Thaumaturgy
>Druidcraft

Shape Water:
>Cantrip, infinit casts
>Somatic only, can use while silenced
>Instant Caltrops
>Can create slippery ice ground
>Poor man's waterwalking
>Stir soup, other cooking uses
>Make certain items, possibly even a sword if you can convince DM water is as hard as black ice

Mold Earth:
>Another somatic-only cantrip
>Instant holes, can instantly make graves, trenches, pit traps
>Can dig really far down so long as ground is soft enough (water can make it soft sometimes)
>Can potentially collapse a weak ceiling
>Can create/remove difficult terrain temporarily

Viscious Mockery:
>Verbal-only cantrip, no need for hands
>Causes disadvantage
>Can be used to make bad puns that are so bad they deal damage to the enemy
>Can be used to shout out witty insults that also deal damage to the enemy
>Can be used to say unsettling/cute things that yet again deal damage to the enemy
>Basically, you can say anything you want to the enemy and have it deal damage

Mage Hand:
>Not concentration, lasts for a minute
>Poor man's telekinesis
>EK, AT, and crafty spellcasters can use it to knock a weapon out of an opponents hand and use a bonus action to have the hand move the weapon 30ft away (so long as it's under 10lb)
>Can be used to flip skirts, knock vases over, and cause other mischief/distractions
>AT can make it invisible as well
>>
>>49169012
By default, neither archmages nor vampires have that spell.
Also the way you're describing it makes it sound like you're aiming for a TPK of the 'rocks fall' variety
>>
File: 1470978282181.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1470978282181.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49163553
Here you go friend.
>>
what the fuck is happening in this thread
>>
>>49169645
What I am aiming for is Dio

An archmage vampire is way too strong for them to fight by themselves, the plan is for Strahd to offer a team up
>>
>>49156059
Play Majora's Mask
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (7KB, 480x360px)
hqdefault.jpg
7KB, 480x360px
Is there a way to put a trap like this into 5e?
>>
>>49169934

God Bless Misty Step
>>
>>49154210
Have you guys ever tried running a Party with varying alignments? I have a group who is comprised of the following:

Lawful Good
Chaotic Good
Lawful Neutral
Neutral Evil

The first 3 seem relatively easy to incorporate but I'm still figuring out how to work in the last one. He's playing a Warlock with Pact of the Fiend.

The story is basically dragons hvae been seen further South than ever before and realms everywhere are beginning to grow frightened. Aboleths are also make appearances around the coastlines and some fear an invasion from the Old Ones.

The players would essentially be those summoned to deal with the threat (starting at level 11 so they're relatively famous throughout the world).
>>
>>49170004
True, I'd still like to try it out though.
>>
>>49169702
You sound like an idiot with bad taste who really doesn't understand the module they're meant to be running.
>>
Need some insight /tg/

I'm forever DM and my party has dropped down to 4 players do to conflicting schedules and changes in life. The campaign as of now has become harder for just for players to handle.

They have now just asked me seeing that I never play a character that if I wanted to DM and play a character to make the party now 5. I told them I would think on it and either I would play one of the many characters I have pre-made or they can build me one and tell me the idea of the character and how to play.

I am really unsure on this as I have never DM/PC before. Should I just avoid it? Or would it be justified here? I already said that this character would not offer much help with problem solving and should probably be more built around combat.
>>
>>49170420
4 is a fine party size desu
>>
>>49170481
I'm aware. We are just playing Storm King's Thunder now and all these giants for this many players may be too lethal.
>>
>>49162387
Depending on what they do... create a new town, new npcs, new plothooks on the fly, whatever is needed, until they decide to go down into a dungeon, at which point I'll pull one out that just happens to be designed to the very last detail.
>>
>>49169934
Don't have my monster manual but you could use one of the goo monsters (I think black pudding) it's essentially the pic you posted but it digests the person it engulfs (along with metals, I think).
>>
>Volo's Guide to Monsters
>49 USD on Amazon

Seriously guys...
>>
>>49158099

There are two things that a system can streamline: How complex it is and how complicated it is. The distinction between the two is really important.

The board game Go has extremely simple rules you can learn in a minute or two, but people are freaking out that a supercomputer can beat a pro now because the game is so crazy complex that until now, AI were absolutely overwhelmed by it.

Mahjong has a ton of rules and hands that you need to memorize, but once you do, it's more luck than skill-based. Very complicated, not very complex.

Third edition--which is what most people think of as the non-streamlined DnD--was really complicated with a lot of moving parts. Individually prepared spell slots, skill points, grappling rules that were an absolute headache, setups that involved casting a dozen spells at the start of the day, etc. Very complicated, but doing so didn't add very much fun complexity. You just netdecked a build and did your one gimmick in combat. It was easy for a new player to be overwhelmed, but the payoff wasn't worth it.

5e streamlines out the crappy stuff to leave more room for the fun stuff and lets players think more about what they're going to do on their turn rather than what the build they researched does every turn.
>>
>>49170502
So give them some OP magical gear
>>
>>49170420
I run a side "PC" for my players and it's been a good time. It lets me have a bit of fun on a player end and lets me see how the encounters feel from the other end. Also lets me throw some heavier stuff at them, but to be fair the campaign I'm running is much higher level than yours is.
>>
>>49170420
They're volunteering. If you want to do it, do it.
>>
Pedantic rules question: a bladelock can turn any weapon they find into their pact weapon, right? Even types they couldn't conjure from nothing?
>>
>>49171757
Correct.
>>
>>49171757
>a bladelock can turn any weapon they find into their pact weapon, right?
Incorrect. Only melee weapons can be your pact weapon, unless the weapon in question is magical in which case you may also have a magical ranged weapon be y our pact weapon.
>>
>>49171930
Good, because the next module involves giants.
>>
>>49171757
As long as it isn't sentient or an artifact.
>>
>>49171993
To be more precise, you can make any magic weapon a pact weapon. >>49171986 Explains it more accurately.
>>
>>49155239

Disregard the fucking loot tables.

You're going to end up throwing out Magic Items like candy. If you do, just give them a bag of holding and let them kill each other for it.

Works every time. There's always one or two assmad people who grumble and grouse while 3 others stab and shank each other over a fucking cursed Bag of Holding. Haw.
>>
>>49171986
>>49172007
>>49172094
Good, that agrees with my reading of the rules too.

Because my character definitely didn't sell his soul to the devil to *not* enter a fight by riding a four-storey high flaming sword descending from the sky.
>>
File: 1452435367171.png (733KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1452435367171.png
733KB, 750x1000px
>>49170102
Been a while, anon.
Honestly, I think it's pretty good as is. Nice work.
>>
Have you or your players ever played a loli?
>>
>>49157836

>What got you into DnD?
Friend of mine wanted to DM, and we're all his nerd buddies, basically. First time I ever played! Then the parents tell me -they- played, and the DnD bug eventually gets us all.
3.5, and by god I was confused. Eventually got used to it and had fun!
>Was it your first PnP?
Technically yes, since Heroclix didn't use much PnP.
I have well over 30 characters in a vault ready to be taken out and thrust into any number of worlds. I eagerly new campaigns, while hoping the current one presses onward. I absolutely adore 5e, particularly after a brush with 4e not going so well period. Hate to be that faggot, but I never want to go back to the olden editions, even if one of my best friends wants to fucking DM a 2e game, which I've never ever ever played.
>>
>>49172423
No, nobody I know has ever played a "loli" because I do not associate with paedophiles.
>>
>>49172423
Kind of playing one in a game right now. Human draconic sorcerer who's just a really small and slender 18 year old.
>>
I've got a warlock with an elder god patron in my game. His grandfather made the deal, and he's the third generation to pay for it. What are some good bits of flavor I can give him so it feels like he's channeling/being watching/manipulated by an old one?
>>
>>49172646
GOOs don't actively give a shit about those in pacts with them m8. Unless you're really changing how they function in your setting.
>>
GOOlock trying to pick between Spell Sniper, Warcaster, or Alert. Help me decide
>>
>>49172777
Don't pick spell sniper, it's mostly b8. Alert is great. Warcaster is usually good, though I tend to not get it in most games.
I'd go with Alert personally - you really can't go wrong with that feat.
>>
>>49157836
>What got you into DnD?
Playing PbP mafia online. I enjoyed the social aspects of the game, and liked the structure a lot more than other similar games that are more random and played for laughs. It translates poorly in the real world, but I liked the stories and backstabbing and even the occasional RP focused one. So I tried D&D with one of the mafia players I knew.

I had already been around the /tg/ block and this was sort of the last stone left unturned too: I played MTG in alpha with my brother and again in college, played HeroQuest with my dad and brother (the entire game), played 40K in middle school (briefly, neckbeard quality of the game and cost drove me away), and played good board games in high school.

3.5, played a ginger cloistered cleric in Ravenloft forced to explore the game. I went from the shitty third wheel to sole effective party member very quickly, but didn't care for much longer.

>Was it your first PnP?
Yes.

Better in every way. I played Pathfinder the most as a player, along with several other games. In the end, I found my systemfu in RuneQuest 6 (still my favorite) and turned away from 3.pf with my 23 pages of house rules until 5e when just porting over 5e spell casting mechanics saved a lot of room.

My house rules for 5e (house rules, not DMG options) take up 1 page of errata formatted notes with 12 point font and no extra columns. That basically says it all to me since I prefer the structure of modern D&D and I don't particularly like 4e.
>>
>>49172777
The extra range on Spell Sniper is not very useful in many campaigns due to the nature of the game. Most of the time you will be fighting indoors or in dungeons where you can't make use of it at all. And even if you get the chance to say "I'm shooting from so far away that I'm not on the grid anymore", most DMs will find a way to fuck you up for that sooner rather than later.

Warcaster is good but only really great if you play a Bladelock or cast important spells that need concentration all the time.
>>
>>49173018
Okay so Spell Sniper is out. Hex feels like a spell I should always have up so that's why I'm leaning towards Warcaster, unless there's another feat I'm overlooking. Also does Hex end if there are no more enemies to move it to?
>>
>>49173107
If you still have concentration on the spell when all enemies are dead you have the rest of the spell duration to find a new target.
>>
File: 1471740510107.jpg (136KB, 900x1268px) Image search: [Google]
1471740510107.jpg
136KB, 900x1268px
>>49173107
Depending on your level and stuff Resiliend in Con can be worth to have a look @ fyi. If you get both that and WC you cant loose concentration on any spell.
>>
File: 1418521657981.jpg (85KB, 749x720px) Image search: [Google]
1418521657981.jpg
85KB, 749x720px
>>49166143

>Implying a Planetar would ever let you handle their holy lance
>>
File: 1425128516353-2.jpg (136KB, 636x899px)
1425128516353-2.jpg
136KB, 636x899px
Just to be sure:
Great Weapon Master extra attack on kill/crit does not work if the attack that triggers it is an attack of opportunity right?
Since GWM says
>On your turn
>as a bonus action
Technically is not your turn (since you are using a reaction) and one cannot use bonus actions outside of their turn correct?
>>
>>49170676
That sounds great, thanks
>>
>>49173482
Yes on both counts.
>>
Can someone explain the economics of healing potions to a newbie?

The amount of time and price it costs to make even a common healing potion don't make sense for the vendors to even be putting in the effort (it costs25g in materials excluding the 10 days of focused effort to brew). Is there a good homebrew to check out for this?

You wouldn't brew a single beer. Maybe allow for a batch (~5) to be brewed at a time?
>>
>>49162974
+2 to hit is actually really over powered, since it stacks with advantage and breaks bound accuracy. Might work with zero magic weapons though.
I hate DMs that homebrew without doing the math.

Advantage is easy to get even without flanking. Just have summons or hirelings spam Help action, it's honestly way more overpowered than flanking.
>>
>>49173854
Don't complain about cheap goods m8.
Just let it happen.
>>
File: sadtwitterfrograin.gif (421KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
sadtwitterfrograin.gif
421KB, 700x525px
>>49169526
>mfw using Druidcraft in Baroviato to predict weather
>>
>>49173854
>Can someone explain the economics of healing potions to a newbie?
NPCs don't follow the same restrictions that PCs do, so they can make them cheaper and sell them to make a profit more quickly.

The rules NPCs follow can be summed up as "whatever makes sense for the setting."
>>
So, /tg/, clear this one up for me.

How come we all visit this board en masse to discuss about games, but in the 7+ years I've been here I could count the numbers of games I've seen organized on the fingers of a single fat hand? I mean, this looked about right a few years ago, but now that thousands of people play on Roll20 or FantasyGrounds I'd expect regular LFG threads. Haven't seen one in ages.
>>
>>49174055
Nobody here likes one another. We just shoot the shit here.
At least I certainly don't like you autistic spergs. You play fucking bladelocks for Christ's sake.
>>
>>49174020
This is even the feelings of the devs.
>>
>>49174055
I never use /tg/'s LFG because I would rather search for randos on Roll20 that I vetted than play a game with the type of people who regularly surf /tg/. Yes, that means I wouldn't play a game with myself, and I stand by that.
>>
>>49174055

If you've been playing tabletop for 2+ years and still don't have a dedicated group than there's something wrong with you.

Besides, the people on /tg/ are terrible, worse than Roll20.
>>
>>49174095
>not playing a bladelock
I bet you're a filthy tomelock
>>
What is the single most "problematic" class in 5e?
>>
>>49174157
Well, I do have more than one group back home, which incidentally happens to be more than 4000 miles away now. Still play with them online, but a man needs his offline fix.

But yeah, I can get the sentiment of us not liking each other.
>>
>>49174276
Chain~

>>49174300
Bladelocks are cancer.
>>
>>49174300
Ranger

>appropriates the culture of their "favored enemy"
>trains to track down and murder intelligent creatures
>steals spells from more original, flavorful classes
>and class features from more capable classes
>any original stuff it does have are just slightly-altered versions of stuff other people can already do

Might as well be called White Cishet: The Class
>>
So I found out awhile ago that Sune despite being a CG love deity of fashion and looking pretty can have Paladins and has an order dedicated to them and decided my next character MUST be one of them.

What kind of personality would they have?
>>
>>49174383
Fashion police.
The character writes itself.
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 670x413px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 670x413px
>>49174383
Come on.
You already know the answer to this.
>>
>>49174157
>If you've been playing tabletop for 2+ years and still don't have a dedicated group than there's something wrong with you.
I have a regular group but there's a guy who is a railroady fuck and irritating as a player and he won't fucking learn. So I am trying to find new people to play with and hopefully build a new group of regular, or at least have a list of people who play and can check in once in a while, It's going well so far, also plenty of people play over roll20 on a discord server I am regular.
>>
>>49174300
Pretty much all multi-classers, they just fuck their characters up and want to retire them after a couple session because they realize they have to wait 3 levels to see results. Never seen a good multiclass in play, other than a couple level dip in rogues or fighters.
>>
>>49174383
>What kind of personality would they have?

Sunite Paladins are primarily guardians to squishy priests and priestesses as they travel hither and tither across Ao's green creation.

To this end, they can have all sorts of personalities, as long as it supports "I must protect this man/woman, no matter the cost." If you want inspiration for a Sunite Paladin (and one that literally no one would expect) take inspiration from Eygon of Carim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qCkphl5BcU
>>
>>49174432
They're just people who haven't been able to move on from the mindset of prior editions, the type that only can differentiate their character from other characters by adding different mechanics.
They are to pitied mostly. Especially since a lot of em don't seem to have groups.
>>
>>49174466
Eygon was an asshole who locked his woman up in a cage though. Kind of mean and had really scary and ugly looking armor too.
God damn his voice was sexy though.
>>
>>49174527
>Eygon was an asshole who locked his woman up in a cage though

Irina was infested with so much Dark that she was simply too dangerous to let out of her cage, the girl was innocent but her potential for evil was way too great. This is why he doesn't overtly object to you "rescuing" her, but immediately moves in to defend Irina the moment you try exploiting her proclivity to the Dark.

>Kind of mean and had really scary and ugly looking armor too.

He was a foul-mouthed curmudgeon, but nothing says a Paladin can't be those things (in fact, his sexy voice shows just how much Charisma he's got.)

Imagine his armor being ugly and scary to enhance the beauty of the priest he's guarding. To a Sunite, some "negative space" to enhance the metaphorical splash of color would be deeply valued.
>>
>>49174599
>To a Sunite, some "negative space" to enhance the metaphorical splash of color would be deeply valued.

Would definitely be a very untraditional Sunite since they focus highly on classical beauty.
Apparently they get much of their funds as a church by being "fashion consultants" for the wealthy.
>>
File: 1377546797342.jpg (12KB, 251x206px) Image search: [Google]
1377546797342.jpg
12KB, 251x206px
>>49174670

What god or goddess should I go for if I want to make an Eygon, then?
>>
>>49174745
Helm, the Vigilant, the Ever-Watchful.
He's a classical deity who's all about DUTY and LOYALTY and SELFLESSNESS.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Helm

What Helm swears to guard, he guards.
What he swears to keep safe, he keeps safe.
>>
>>49174745

>A Carim knight will dedicate an entire career to attending a single maiden, just as Morne once served one goddess alone.

Helm, anon.
>>
>>49174466
I like the idea of a paladin that is protecting beauty in the world.
>>
File: 1444583056450.png (564KB, 500x738px) Image search: [Google]
1444583056450.png
564KB, 500x738px
>>49174851
>>49174745
>>49174466
>>49174670

>Paladin of Helm escorting a Sunite cleric
>>
What's a good pseudo-bossfight for a group of four level 3's?
I've got a disguised Green Hag that's been tricking them into leading them to a fey village. Well, they left the village to go investigate something, and convinced the two elf guardians of the village to assist them with their expedition.
You can probably guess whatll happen when they get back.
Either way, I'm gonna have they witch steal some gemstone that served as "power generator" for the invisibility ward over the village, and they'll have to fight and retrieve the stone on the witch's turf.
Maybe have the witch summon a few mud mephits in the swamp, along with some quicksand/entangle hazards?
Any ideas 5eg?
>>
>>49174898
He would literally never touch her inappropriately. Helmites are hardcore.
>>
File: 1446854088219.jpg (102KB, 791x786px) Image search: [Google]
1446854088219.jpg
102KB, 791x786px
>>49175172

>Beautiful cleric in an adorably platonic relationship with her loyal, strong and foul-tempered protector

I'd make this character in a heartbeat if I could find someone to play the Paladin of Helm.
>>
>>49175483
>>49175483
>>49175483
new
>>
>Eygon
>Not Garl Vinland
>>
>>49175524

>One's a gruff badass with a voice that sounds like two tectonic plates grinding against each other and a hidden heart of gold
>The other's a noble weirdo with a worried sister that can't even save the one he loves
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.