[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

D&D 5e General /5eg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 32

File: suzaku.jpg (7MB, 4057x5797px) Image search: [Google]
suzaku.jpg
7MB, 4057x5797px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

How would you turn harpies into a playable race? Aarakocra are too short-lived, they have hands, and they are just not musical enough!
>>
>>49116343
Godspeed, OP.

I dedicate this master race homebrew to Lord Autismo - 4chan's very own anti-weeb crusader. Go get 'em, champ.

See you next time - then with a bibliography and a music video showcasing the master race's potent mechanical strengths!
>>
Is Vecna a powerful enough deity to warrant worship by a death domain cleric?

I'm going to be playing a Dwarf Death domain (DMG) cleric, whose goal is to bring back Vecna. Would I need to worship an actual god of death, with Vecna being my end goal, or is dedicating my life and power to Vecna enough?

>Of course I only have one fucking eye.
>>
>>49116449
People worship tons of things waaaaay weaker than an actual deity senpai.
>>
>>49116343
Whoops, wrong harpy pic. This is more like it.
>>
>>49116343
Personally? I'd go for something like this, crunch-wise:

Harpy
Ability Score Increase: +2 Charisma, +1 Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 20 feet
Flight: A harpy has a flying speed of 40 feet.
Talons: A harpy possesses claws, which allow it to do 1d4 slashing damage with its Unarmed Strikes.
Siren Songs: At third level, a harpy can cast Charm Person as a 1st level spell one per short rest. At fifth level, it can cast Enthrall as a 2nd level spell once per short rest. When casting spells with this trait, Charisma is your casting ability.

Quick and dirty, but that's roughly how I'd do it.

>>49116449
Vecna's a full-fledged diety of necromancy & undeath, and has been since at least 3rd edition. A Death or Arcana Cleric worshipping him is perfectly legit.
>>
Yeah, this is gonna be a shit thread isn't it?
>>
File: male catgirl maid.png (611KB, 980x1260px) Image search: [Google]
male catgirl maid.png
611KB, 980x1260px
>>49116410
Can I play a catgirl (male)?

What if I want to be a Dex/Int or Dex/Wis catgirl?
>>
>>49116449
I would love to see a full Vecna-based Adventure Path, personally...
>>
Anons? Amateur homebrewer here with a peculiar obsession with monstrous PC races. I'll get right to the point: do you think a PC raced based on the Naga - so, human(ish) head on a giant magical snake's body, no arms (that's a non-D&D lamia) could ever be made balanced under the 5e ruleset?

Just for shits 'n' giggles, here's a first draft of one I've thrown together just off the top of my head:

Naga
Ability Score Increase: +2 Intelligence, +1 Charisma
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision
Limbless Horror: A naga's unique body shape poses great difficulty in using items designed for humanoids. Armor must be custom fitted, doubling its expense value if purchased; magic armor that reshapes itself to fit a wearer will do so for a naga, but otherwise must be manually altered. A naga can only wear Head slot, Neck slot and Body slot magical items, though at a DM's discretion it can also wear 1 magical ring on the tip of its tail.
Telekinetic: Nagas have developed an instinctive ability to manipulate items by thought alone. A Naga has a single invisible "hand" which provides them with the effective reach of a Large-sized creature. This hand can be used to interact with a single physical object at a time, allowing a naga to make all of the normal actions despite lacking physical limbs, including using a magic item or swinging a weapon. When using its telekinesis, a naga treats its Intelligence score as its Strength score for determining attack roll and damage roll bonuses, and the naga's ability to lift and carry. At a DM's discretion, some Strength checks may be replaced by Intelligence checks if a naga could conceivably use its telekinesis to do so, such as prying open a gate, pushing a crate or lifting a heavy trapdoor.

I contemplated adding racial traits like some innate spell-like abilities and/or a poisonous bite, but I was worried I'd be overloading it with abilities and making it too powerful.
>>
File: 63115147d733f1049a7d8e2421abb1a7.jpg (375KB, 1238x880px) Image search: [Google]
63115147d733f1049a7d8e2421abb1a7.jpg
375KB, 1238x880px
>>49116498
But I want to trade in hands for power.
>>
>>49116498
Pretty decent senpai.
>>
>>49116499
Just ignore the dumb shit.

>>49116468
>>49116498
Gotcha.

Welp, any suggestions on how to convert my party? I've no intention on being randumbsoevil (cuz I still gotta get paid and need magic items and stuff), but I will have ulterior motives along the way to convert them to the power of Vecna (and I just want to see if I can get other players to cut their own eyes out, or lose hands willingly).
>>
>>49116501
I don't follow.

You can mix the attributes around all you want though - cat girls are good at everything.
>>
>>49116518
These are not cute, Anon.
>>
>>49116499
/pfg/ put out a hit on /5eg/. See here: >>49116292

Gas the weebs, general war now!
>>
>>49116527
Generally you'd need to be able to provide a strong incentive for doing so. Maybe work with your DM to magically tool some Vecna-like benefits that you could have bestowed on your party members for becoming minor acolytes/worshipers/followers.
>>
>>49116553
Jesus Christ.
Can't these children actually grow the fuck up already?
>>
Question concerning the Message cantrip:

Can you send a message to an unknowing ally / someone you don't know? If you send it to someone you don't know will they somehow know you're the one to send it? What if they don't know who you are and wouldn't recognize your voice?

What if you send it to someone you don't know and they don't recognize it as a message and instead mistake it to be some sort of disembodied / divine voice in their head?
>>
>>49116570
The children posting weebshit or the children trying to turn this into a stupid internet fight?
>>
>>49116568
These aren't the brightest, or most experienced D&D players (it's for a one-shot, one guy is a dudebro, and the other two are relatively normies with little to no TTRPG experience).

I fully intend on giving them a raw deal.
>>
>>49116587

You send it to a target.

If they don't know you, and have no reason to recognize a message cantrip, they're probably going to go and take their schizo meds
>>
>>49116587
Yes, you may. You just need to satisfy the range requirement of the cantrip. If you want to message someone within range who you *can't* see, you need to be familiar with them.
>>
File: 48252762_p0_master1200.jpg (650KB, 1000x875px) Image search: [Google]
48252762_p0_master1200.jpg
650KB, 1000x875px
>>49116570
What's wrong? Don't you like bisexual monsterpeople and kitsune?
>>
>>49116468
I remember back in the day my group was playing a Ravenloft campaign. We were working for Lord Soth and helping him conquer the world. By end end nearly all of the dark lords fell before our blades with Vecna being the final foe we had to overcome.

Kas was a little bitch boy.
>>
File: 48.png (300KB, 1119x1600px) Image search: [Google]
48.png
300KB, 1119x1600px
>>49116541

>this
>not cute

You have 0 taste anon.
>>
>>49116625
Yeah - I find it's usually really interesting/entertaining when PC's take up the causes of NPCs in games. Especially when the DM doesn't *at all* see it coming, and ends up really fleshing out that NPC.
>>
Storm King's Thunder is out on Roll20 now. Someone buy it and start ripping those maps for everyone.
>>
Continue discussion about Vecna over here
>>49116693
>>
>>49116704
I thought it came out on the 6th
>>
>>49116727
It was supposed to but they released it early. https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/25/storm-kings-thunder
>>
>>49116343

Harpy a shit, I wouldn't include it as a playable race

But I'd go

- +2 cha, +1 int
- Speed 20
- Fly speed 40 (aarakocra speed 50 is bullshit)
- Look Ma No Hands: You have no arms or hands, instead you have feet with sharp claws that do your manipulation. You can not wear boots but you may wield or carry items in your talons as anyone else would with their hands. However while you are grasping something in your talons, your land speed is halved.

Luring Magic: You know the friends cantrip, At third level you know the charm person spell and can cast it once per day. At 5th level you know the Enthrall spell and can cast it once per day. Charisma is your casting stat.

Not worded very well but there you go OP.

Though I thought D&D harpies had arms and hands. So OP's probably just a faggot.
>>
>>49116599
Gas them both. The anti-weebshits are a bit worse, but only extremely slightly, not so much that it's worth sparing either side.
>>
>>49116765
>Though I thought D&D harpies had arms and hands. So OP's probably just a faggot.

Just refluff an Aaracokra then
>>
>>49116760
Oh sweet.
>>
>>49116647
Appreciate the defense, anon. Honestly, she was one of the influences that inspired me to give >>49116518 a shot.

So, anons got any opinions on the crunch here? I know "total balance" is a fiction, but I can at least try not to make something either cripplingly weak or stupid overpowered.
>>
When are we getting the UA ranger and mystic continued?
>>
>>49116987
Impossible to say. WoTC has teased that there's some kind of new rulebook coming out after Volo's Guide to Monsters gets released, but we don't know when or what it is. With this whole alternating between actual Unearthed Arcana content and DM's Guild Shilling for each month, who can say what we're going to get and when?
>>
>>49116934
I'm the anon you are replying too, and when I read the no arms thing, she was the first thing that popped into my mind.

About your custom race:
I think it's too "rule heavy" try to simplify the custom traits.
I think limbless horror is a good idea, but probably can be better written .
As for the Telekinetic thing just give them game hand as a cantrip from level one, maybe add telekinesis at higher levels or you can go the Psion route too and center the race around it.

Tobe hones I would just let them use a tail as a normal hand and only be able manipulate simple weapons, tools, etc. How ever if you do this I would change the stat bonuses.
>>
>>49116987
The next ranger pass will either be September's or October's UA, with the other of the two being an alternate encounter creation method.

I'd guess Mystic November or December, but possibly the start of next year.

>>49117059
Luckily they stopped the DMs Guild spotlight after only two months of the stuff, likely due to the backlash and lack of content worth showcasing.
>>
>>49117078
sorry for the spelling errors posting from my phone.
>>
>>49117078
The irony is, there *is* an actual Naga monstrous race in D&D (and Pathfinder) already, and it does amount to "giant snake with a human head". D&D's just unusual in that the bog standard Lamia - like >>49116541 - is relegated to the "Lamia Noble", who hasn't been seen since 3.5's Expedition to the Demonweb Pits.

Problem is, Mage Hand *sucks* in this edition. You can carry 30 pounds of weight max, you can't trigger a magic item with it, you can't use a weapon with it... a race that only has mage hand as an "official" interaction with the world is pretty much boned beyond belief. That's why I went to the trouble of creating Telekinetic the way it is.

Revising Limbless Horror to be clearer and more concise is something I'd like to do, but I'm not exactly sure how?

If it's not overpowered, I was thinking of also turning them into a subrace-based species; "Ferals" have a Strength boost, a Venomous Bite, and Crushing Coils ala my Lamia race (basically enhanced grappling abilities), whilst "Sages" have an Int boost and some spell-like abilities. Does this make sense? Would it make the race too powerful?

I really appreciate all the feedback I can get. I'm very new to homebrewing and I don't have an actual party to try and playtest them with, so this is essentially my only option for trying to get good.
>>
>>49116541

>Snake lady
>that means eggs
>Has a belly button and breasts

Egh

Anyway, it's simply

>Speed 30 feet
>Swim Speed: 30 feet

Natural Toxicity: Can apply the dagger of Venom effect on any weapon it holds (same restrictions apply)
Poison Resistance
Darkvision
Natural Warlocks, Sorcerers and Fighters
+1 STR
+ 2 CHA
>>
Is D&D just a talking simulator?
>>
>>49117305
>that means eggs
>and breasts
Monotremes
>>
>>49117305

Hm. More like Natural paladin. Replace Cha with Dexterity
>>
>>49117305
Not necessarily. A lot of snakes are oviparous - they technically have live young, because they incubate their eggs in their wombs. Add in the clearly humanoid aspects, and magic chicanery, and things get even fuzzier.

Hell, I've toyed with the idea of, in one of my settings, making kobolds of both sexes sport pseudobreasts as status symbols/mating displays and letting them partially shift genders, so the reason they survive at the bottom of the food chain is because any two kobolds can restart a clan.

>>49116541
>>49117305
Honestly, I did it somewhat differently for Lamias:

Lamia
Ability Score Increase: +2 Charisma, +1 Strength
Snake Body: A lamia has a Climb Speed of 20 feet and a Swim speed of 30 feet. A lamia can Crawl at its normal speed. A lamia cannot use magical items based on footwear, such as Boots of Elvenkind.
Crushing Coils: A lamia may attempt to grapple a creature that is no more than two sizes larger than itself, and has Advantage on the Strength (Athletics) check to successfully grapple the target.
>>
>>49117382
Character creation, tactical combat, puzzle-solving and talking simulator.

Less tactical when everyone just runs in and throws their favourite attack.
>>
Naga
Ability Score Increase: +1 Charisma
Limbless Horror: A naga's unique body shape poses great difficulty in using items designed for humanoids. Armor must be custom fitted, doubling its cost. A naga can only wear magical items on its head, neck and body, though at a DM's discretion it can also wear 1 magical ring on the tip of its tail.
Telekinetic: Nagas have developed an instinctive ability to manipulate items by thought alone. A Naga has a single invisible "hand" which provides them with the effective reach of a Large-sized creature. This hand can be used to interact with a single physical object at a time, allowing a naga to make all of the normal actions despite lacking physical limbs, including using a magic item or swinging a weapon. When using its telekinesis, a naga treats its Intelligence score as its Strength score for determining attack roll and damage roll bonuses, and the naga's ability to lift and carry. At a DM's discretion, some Strength checks may be replaced by Intelligence checks if a naga could conceivably use its telekinesis to do so, such as prying open a gate, pushing a crate or lifting a heavy trapdoor.
Prehensile Tail: A naga can use its tail as a single hand for taking actions or wielding items.
Serpentine Mobility: A naga has a Climb speed of 20 feet and a Swim speed of 20 feet.
Poisonous Bite: When making an Unarmed Strike, a naga can instead choose to inflict a bite. This causes the attack to instead inflict 2D4 Poison damage, which the victim can halve with a successful Constitution check (DC 8 + naga's Con modifier + 1/2 naga's level).
Subrace: Choose between the Sagacious or Savage Naga subraces.
>>
Sagacious Naga
Ability Score Increase: +2 Intelligence
Hypnotic Gaze: A Sagacious Naga can cast the Friends cantrip.
Mystical Birthright: A Sagacious Naga can cast the Prestidigitation cantrip.

Savage Naga
Ability Score Increase: +2 Constitution
Crushing Coils: A Savage Naga may attempt to grapple a creature that is no more than two sizes larger than itself, and has Advantage on the Strength (Athletics) check to successfully grapple the target.
Lethal Venom: A Savage Naga increases the Poison damage of its bite attack to 2D6 at 5th level and 2D8 at 15th level.
>>
File: 1452265185564.jpg (416KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1452265185564.jpg
416KB, 600x800px
>>49117796
>>49117816
>Psychic Nagas
I mean, maybe?
>>
>>49117880
Nagas in D&D are traditionally very magical creatures, with a lot of innate spells or just inherent levels as spellcasters, depending partially on edition. Heck, even in 5e, your standard MM nagas are either 11th level Clerics or 11th level Wizards, depending on if you're fighting a Guardian Naga or a Spirit Naga.

This PC race isn't entirely based on those, but between that fact and their place as mystical beings in mythology, it's not coming out of nowhere.

Directly psionic nagas, however, would kind of need to wait for there to be psychic rules in 5e that actually work, instead of the half-written Mystic we've currently got.

Ironically, it'd be easier in 4e, because it had one of the best rulesets for psionics D&D has ever had.
>>
>>49116501
DEX/WIS is obviously superior, works for both monks and, to a lesser degree, droods.
>>
So let's say a PC race harpy has most of the bird like features (i.e. talons instead of feet and hollow but strong bones) what is a suitable wing span to height for them if I want to keep them around 3/4 feet tall?
>>
File: 1425287360328-3.png (212KB, 452x641px) Image search: [Google]
1425287360328-3.png
212KB, 452x641px
New DM here.
I have a player joining an ongoing game, party is level 4 and his character will also be starting at level 4. Everybody else started with class and background equipment
How do you guys handle starting wealth for these cases?
Just starting equipment?
Having him roll for wealth instead?
Fixed amount of gold?
>>
>>49118311
i always figure it to he should have near to, or slightly less than the "poorest" person in the party, since you've already been giving out gold/items at the rate you choose. there might be a chart for "characters wealth at level 4" but theres no chart for "characters wealth at level 4, in anons specific campaign"
>>
>>49118382
Yeah that's what I wanna avoid, having more wealth than the rest of the players, but at the same time base equipment and almost no gold at level 4 seems a bit weak.
and no need to be a dick about it, I Know I could have worded it better
>>
>>49118455
m8 im sorry if you think i was being a dick, but i was literally giving you a straight answer, so butch up a bit. look at the person in your group that has the least gear gained gear, either bought, or given from you. then also the least gained and/or saved gold. after that, base the new character off of those 2 numbers. unless the new character has a reason or a backstory, he should be relatively "fresh" in the adventuring for money world, so even if he adventurered prior. he's still going to be poorer than the rest because of more time spent in town or more downtime from being a solo act

obviously though, he should have at least base gold/equipment, but add to it from there. if everyone has at least 1-3 unique/rare items, he should have 1, 2 at the most. if the gold in their pockets is 100 to 1000, he should only have like 100, MAYBE 200
i would let him spend the money/"free items" he does have relatively easily though, since he could have obtained them any way, and at any time prior
>>
>>49118455

Average out the gold in the party, give him two thirds of that
>>
Hey /5eg/, I'm rolling a half-orc Paladin.

Are there any good backgrounds for a half-orc besides "rape baby"?
>>
>>49118570

Yes. Literally anything.
>>
>>49118570
Depends on the setting.

In some (Forgotten Realms among them), orc tribes and human tribes will make alliances or treaties to prevent unneeded deaths--and these sometimes end up with orc-human couples, whether by terms of the treaty or a strange star-crossed lover deal.
>>
File: 1461769734063.jpg (62KB, 534x750px) Image search: [Google]
1461769734063.jpg
62KB, 534x750px
>>49118570
Both parents were half-orcs.
Neither loved the other and married politically.
Unwanted bastard of a cheating spouse.
Anything standard but one parent is an orc and the other a human. Or a half-orc and a human. Or a half-orc and an orc.
>>
>>49118570

>granddad was a rape baby, and it skipped a generation

>cursed by a witch

>tried to fuse with a corrupted gem

>prays to the god of orcs

>accident with the multiverse

>prays to the god of humans

>parents were also adventurers. Father was the Bard
>>
Is there a collection of custom character sheets somewhere? Looking for something for my druid to help me organize stuff like wildshape forms for temp HP, temp AC, etc.

If not is it hard to make your own PDF edits with editable forms?
>>
>>49118647

>Bastard of a cheating spouse

ORCED.
>>
>>49118650
>tried to fuse with a corrupted gem
MY DIAMOND?
>>
>>49118570
What other anons have said. Could be a human - or an orc - transformed by arcane/divine magic, could just be the child of a half-orc parent, family could have been starcrossed lovers/xenophiles/politically married... Really, there's two parts to this; choose a basic "background" (voluntary orc/human relationship, magic, lineage of half-orcs, etc) and then flesh it out some more.

Heck, I could probably give you a couple of different ideas for the "voluntary orc/human coupling" background, if you wanted.
>>
>>49118685

I haven't figured out a way to make a standard pdf editable with my information, let alone edit the pdf itself
>>
Why are you guys so friendly and non-chalant about thinly veiled sexual content?

Out in /pfg/ the very suggestion of sexy harpies or rape will get an argument started about how "shitty" you are or what should or should not be allowed in the general.
>>
>>49118773
Well fuck.

I guess I'll try to read into it. I've converted documents to PDF's with 3rd party software before but never tried editable fields.
>>
>>49118717

YOUR DIAMOND

Yeah that'll orc the shit out of you
>>
>>49118777
>

It's D&D

What in holy hell is this "allowed" faggotry you speak of?
>>
>>49118777
I've been on /tg/ for half a decade. Believe me: when we have a chance to discuss something calmly, we actually prefer it to monkey-like shitslinging. The Pathfinder General anons are just letting themselves be baited.
>>
I have some questions about hiding.

In combat, when are you able to hide? I recall the book saying once you are fighting a creature it's pretty hard to hide from them.

I ask because one of my players is playing an Arcane Trickster, and grabbed a concealing mist spell. This gives some amount of concealment if you are in it. The exact name of the spell escapes me right now. And uses a rogue ability to hide as a bonus action, so that essentially, he is hidden for 100% of the combat.

Attack -> Bonus action hide in the mist -> repeat

The ability to maintain a 100% upkeep on being hidden (barring the cloud being removed in various ways) did not seem right to me. In the interest of not slowing the game down we did not look too deeply into it the other night, but I plan to later this weekend. But I just wanted to know if what he is doing is possible, or is he misinterpreting a rule about hiding somewhere?
>>
>>49118814

PINK DIAMOND

Wouldn't that be like full-orc or something?
>>
>>49117796
>>49117816
So, anyone got any feedback on this iteration of the race? I'm trying to keep it from getting too overpowered, but I'm worried I've just overloaded it with racial features, even given the significant hindrance that Limbless Horror poses to using magical gear/getting decent armor, at the least.
>>
>>49118872
So long as you break line of sight, you can hide. For most it takes an action, but rogues can do it as a bonus action. This is on purpose, so that they can hide to try to get advantage for a sneak attack.
>>
>>49116987
They mentioned the Mystic will go up to 20 later this year. Hopefully we'll see the two other orders as well.
>>
>>49118777
>>49118835
>>49118836
But Pathfinder General is all about fetishes and monstergirls nowadays. Just look at the latest one: >>49118050
>>
>>49118872

Hidden requires both audible and visual concealment

The enemy may not be able to see the rogue, but he sure as shit is able to listen for him

So when he hides in the mist, you tell him "roll stealth" and give him an appropriately high DC

However, an AT rogue using his illusions for cover isn't a bug, its a feature
>>
>>49118956
Then they're idiots. There's a bucketful of those on 4chan, I promise. Ignore them, report them, whatever.
>>
>>49118777
Who are we to say what is and isn't allowed in some other anons game? Just because we wouldn't have it in ours doesnt mean it doesnt exist, may as well give it constructive criticism or whatever.
>>
How do you handle a monster that forces you to make saving throws when it can see you? Our party fought one that had Charisma saving throws. Only the Paladin was able to make the save so it was a pretty shitty fight so he was on his own for 90% of the fight.
>>
>>49119042
Magic items, perhaps, or a specific buff spell. Alternately, try to find somebody who fought one before and find out how they did it, or purchase Puppeteer's Cloth hoods.
>>
>>49119042
Kneejerk response? Find some way to keep it from seeing you. Give players the option to sneak up on it, or let them have the room for one "save-tank" to distract it so that the rest ca flank it, or find some way of protecting yourself from the gaze attacks. Perseus used a mirrored shield when fighting Medusa, after all, and there's plenty of stories of blind-fighting warriors...
>>
>>49119021

/pfg/ has it in their heads that any mention of lewd is a cause to shut down the conversation or insult the poster.

Which confuses me because, even if the post is clearly in jest and shallow, wouldn't that mean the response to said post would be easy and shallow?
>>
Hey, folks? Any anons here familiar with 4th edition? I was a big fan of the Swordmage in 4e, which I thought was one of the best gishes I'd ever seen in D&D, but I have to ask... do people think the Eldritch Knight Fighter and/or the Bladesinger Wizard make decent replacements for it? Or do they just not cut it?

In fact... how would you pull off a 5e Swordmage? I just can't shake the idea that a class literally built as an arcane gish from the ground up, with subclasses being specializing as a melee weapon-user or a ranged weapon-user (so it's your Swordmage and your Arcane Archer - and even your Gunmage, in the right campaigns), would be a real neat idea.
>>
Are 3 hours enough to to play once a week?
>>
File: hungover.jpg (92KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
hungover.jpg
92KB, 1024x768px
>>49119121
How hard it is to imagine that there's people on even this, the best board, who are petty and shallow? Report the posters providing the smut, ignore the ones toeing the line, and move on.

Sorry. I know it's frustrating.
>>
>>49118901
I'm writing some feedback, so please wait warmly.
>>
>>49119170

3 hours is the perfect session, any longer and fatigue sets in.
>>
>>49119085
We hadn't been in a town yet and had no special items. Just the basic rations, water, and 1 or two potions. It was a surprise attack triggered by a trap. For spells you mean something to give us an advantage on saving throws I take it? I think I had a spell that I could have buffed myself with but forgot to use it.

>>49119090
>Find some way to keep it from seeing you.
I thought about having my character close their eyes or something in the aftermath before entering the line of sight (I was the only one not to be immediately hit by it) but there wasn't any environmental objects to hide behind or under. Maybe my DM would have let my hide under my cloak or something.
>>
Do the drow ever hunt?

How do drow houses train their own to be sneaky?

Whats a good reason for a group of drow to temporarily leave their city? Trading? Do drow forage for mushrooms/other poison ingredients?

I'm talking about Faerun/Forgotten realms drow.
>>
>>49119223
>For spells you mean something to give us an advantage on saving throws I take it?

Or make it glow, or make it blind so it doesn't know where to look, or something else that makes it so that IT is the one who has to react to YOU, rather than the other way around. Alternately, watch its feet instead of its head.
>>
>>49119246

Drow hunt all the time, they develop these skills in the womb and get better in the child murder pits.
>>
>>49119246
Drow can hunt. They can hunt well, with the right target and some prep time, just like everybody else.

Drow train themselves to sneaky all the time, and they keep their own houses sharp by necessity.

Some hate leaving their cities, some don't. Depends on the individual. If you need a reason, perhaps scouting for an attack, finding an artifact, meeting in a neutral zone.
>>
>>49119256
>blind it
One of our new party members has a darkness spell, do you think something like that could help? We almost got party wiped by that fucker and there could be more.
>>
>>49119270
>develop these skills in the womb

why the hell fucking christ did you remind me of that
>>
>>49119157
>Classes built as a gish from the ground up
Well, you've got the half casters. Paladin and Ranger.
Otherwise, you can put chocolate in your peanut butter (EK gets 1/3 spellcasting and features that blend it with their martial base class) or peanut butter in your chocolate (Valor Bards and Bladesinger get proficiencies/abilities that make them valid in martial combat while having a full caster progression and core features)

5e doesn't have the same system of class roles as 4e, or as much strategic and mechanical granularity (for the good and bad that entails) so having a [arcane] [Int based] [gish] [striker] is a bit redundant when you have so many similar options.
>>
>>49119305

Because it's CANON, anon.
>>
>>49119246
Yes, they hunt. For sport, for food/leather, for slaves... they're typical evil aristocrats, in that regard.

Drow mostly leave their city to make slave/murder raids, gather slaves, hunt and trade. Foraging is more of a tribal thing; they have farms attended by slave labor for stuff like that.

>>49119297
That's the whole point of the Darkness spell, so, yes, definitely.
>>
>>49119341
Thank you for the advice, anon.
>>
Storm Kings Thunder when?
>>
Handedly my party just killed Strahd after we raided the crypt of all magical items and what not and armed/readies ourselves for glory.

We got super lucky thanks to the tomb of the Klutz Knight and the bounty within and turned the tide of the fight as it began.

Anyhow, we're gearing up for Storm Kings Thunder; and I wanted tg's thoughts on which of my three concepts I should play.

1. Human Bard, Entertainer Background, College of Satire. Jape and jive in rhyme, counter spell and dispel will be my focus, shutting down enemy casters and tumbling about.

2. Human Noble or Knight, Purple Dragon Knight or Warlord style Battlemaster Fighter. Brash and bluster my way through things and be a leader of men, and crush the giants with wave after wave of them following the Brannigan Big Book of War.

3. Mountain Dwarf Hermit Ranger of either the Hunter or Deep Stalker archetype; and seeing if the DM will let me later take the Gourmand feat. ...and I pretty much just want to play like I'm Senshi from Dungeon Meshi and cook monster parts.

Who do I play?
>>
What all would 5eg consider the base "essentials" for a campaign setting that breaks away from the faint echoes of Greyhawk and the resounding tones of Faerun that are 5th ed's implied setting?

New backgrounds?
New archetypes?
New races? (or just old refluffed races, really).

Been sort of wanting to run some Dying Earth or Planetary Romance flavored sci-fantasy and my group is pretty much dead set on 5th as the One True System, so foreverGM must adapt.
>>
>>49119597
The Purple Dragon Knight might be fun. How are they mechanically different from the template Fighter?
>>
>>49119633

Dude.

Eberron.

Do it.
>>
File: Eberron-cg.jpg (621KB, 1600x1447px) Image search: [Google]
Eberron-cg.jpg
621KB, 1600x1447px
>>49119686
Good taste, anon.

Make Common and Uncommon items available for sale based on the DMG prices (maybe not the flight items), maybe throw in some better item crafting rules, throw on the hero points rules from the DMG, and you're set to go. All you really need is the 3.5e Eberron Campaign Setting (maybe Five Nations and the Player's Guide as well) and you've got all the info you need.
>>
>>49117796
>>49117816
Looking better.
He are my opinions about the current build.

Base:
If you are giving them "Prehensile tail" drop the telekinesis as a whole, If you are worried about somatic requirements for spells just add that to prehensile tail, also using the such a similar name to the spell “Telekinesis” might lead to misunderstandings.
If you really want to keep the magic aspect on the "base" race I would seek another alternative.

Poisonous bite might need to be reworded depending on how you want it to be used.
Here are my various takes on it:
Poisonous Bite: You are proficient with your unarmed strikes, which deal 1d4 piercing damage plus 1d4 poison damage on a hit.

Or

Poisonous Bite: You are proficient with your unarmed strikes, which deal 1d4 piercing damage on a hit. On a successful attack, the target must succeed on a Constitution check (DC 8 + Naga's Con modifier + 1/2 Naga's level), or be poisoned for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of it's turns ending the effect on a success.

Or

Poisonous Bite: You are never unarmed. You are proficient with your bite, which is a melee weapon that deals 1d4 piercing damage plus 1d4 poison damage.

Or

Poisonous Bite: You are never unarmed. You are proficient with your bite, which is a melee weapon that deals 1d4 piercing damage. On a hit, the target must succeed on a Constitution check (DC 8 + Naga's Con modifier + 1/2 Naga's level), or be poisoned for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of it's turns ending the effect on a success.

Everything else from the base looks dandy.
>>
>>49119734
cont'd.

The savage naga:
looks pretty good, just need adjustments to the damage dice of Lethal venom, depending on what you choose to do with poisonous bite.

Something you could do to “boost” this sub-race is either let them grapple as part of a succesful attack(Over powered imo) or let them grapple as a bonus action(it's not possible to do so normally and there is so much shit that uses bonus actions that I think it's balanced enough).

The sagacious naga:
Here however, things can be improved upon.

First I would re-write hypnotic gaze like this:
Hypnotic Gaze: The Naga's irises seem to swirl creating spiraling patterns as it targets one creature it can see within 30 feet of it.
If the target can see the Naga, the target must succeed on a Charisma saving throw (DC 8 + Naga's Cha modifier + 1/2 Naga's level ) against this ability or be charmed up to one minute. When the effect ends, the target knows it was charmed by it. This ability can't be used again until the Naga finishes a long rest.

Or I would include it with other cantrips like this:

Mystical Birthright: You have inherited the innate spellcasting ability of your ancestors. This ability allows you to cast the Friends and Prestidigitation cantrips at will, without needing a material component.
>>
>>49119661
They can share their second wind, share action surge to let allies attack, and training in diplomacy.
>>
File: 1472584359052.jpg (72KB, 500x688px) Image search: [Google]
1472584359052.jpg
72KB, 500x688px
>>49119633
Dying Earth screams Dark Sun to me, which means brewing up a few races, as well as advanced rules for survival and magic decaying the fabric of time, space, and life when used.

But >>49119686 and >>49119718 have a fine solution as well. Eberron can feel like a vastly different environment than standard medieval fantasy, and gives you play with elements that feel closer to modern or sci-fi due to commonplace magic technology. It also has a much more contained cosmology and divine forces are very vague even if present, which is a nice departure.
>>
>>49119686
>>49119718

While I thoroughly enjoyed Eberron, it's not the particular itch I want to scratch. Magitech Noir is a really fun genre and I'll be returning to it in the future.

I want more... Princess of Mars, Viriconium, Night Wings, Hawkmoon. Bravos crossing swords in the streets of the last city while giant luminescent moths flutter across a sun that burns like a pipebowl in a purple sky. Ancient ruins from epochs past, four armed alien waifus.
>>
>>49119789
I love how he's standing on his tiptoes to look taller.
>>
>>49119790
Industrialized Spelljammer?
>>
>>49119819

Honestly, the only established D&D settings that come close would be Dark Sun and Lankhmar smashed together, with bits of Spelljammer technology. It's really frustrating to explain when the only solid references that exist are fiction from the 60's and 70's.
>>
>>49119849
Then do it. Combine those things and have fun with it.
>>
>>49119789

>tfw I made the divine undefined but a legitimate source of power in my Original The Setting (Do Not Steal)
>tfw I found out Eberron already did it
>tfw they even have a Roman Catholicism analogue, which my setting has

FUCK
>>
>>49119899
Nothing new under the sun, anon. Either ignore it and say it just happens to be similar if pressed, or draw on Eberron material as more inspiration for your setting and games.
>>
>>49119883

Yes, I'm aware that's what I need to do, the question still stands. What's the Best Practice FOR brewing a setting in 5th.
>>
>>49119790

Read "Distant Worlds" for Pathfinder.

It has a "giant Amazonian hotties riding dinosaurs and the men are short brutish thugs" world, along with a flesh world, a zombie world and a Barsoomian world (complete with "characters from Not!Earth are inherently stronger and faster on this planet.")
>>
>>49119927

It's literally as easy as making the setting and then figuring out how the system fits it, anon.
>>
>>49119927
Organize you setting notes. Lay things out on a map. Stat items unique to your setting an their rules/cost. Figure out unique mechanics for the setting and organize those, write up creatures as necessary, arrange player options.

And make a gazetteer about the local area around the starting point of the game and write a brief history of the world.
>>
>>49119849
Maybe a bit of Gothic Earth?
>>
Hey I am thinking about making a Theurgy wizard and was wondering how Channel Divinity works in regards to "cleric level" for example

CHANNEL DIVINITY: PRESERVE LIFE
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to heal the badly injured.
As an action, you present your holy symbol and evoke healing energy that can restore a number of hit points equal to five times your cleric level. Choose any creatures within 30 feet of you, and divide those hit points among them. This feature can restore a creature to no more than half of its hit point maximum. You can't use this feature on an undead or a construed.

Is this just worthless or can I use my Wizard level instead of Cleric? Thanks in advance :)
>>
>>49119977

As in the 2e splat referencing Ravenloft, or the genre (not familiar with the genre)?

If the former, I'd say more Baroque. Lots of ostentatious displays of wealth and prowess set against a faded and tired backdrop.
>>
>>49120009
Yeah, the former. The AD&D2 splat.
>>
>>49120022

Mm, yeah. Maybe some touches and elements from it, definitely a more baroque setting though. Guess I'll just start with backgrounds etc and see if new archetypes are necessary. Or if I can get away with refluffing some.
>>
>>49119734
>>49119750
From what I've been told, errata has clarified that all PCs are automatically proficient with unarmed strikes.

That said, you've given me some alternate possibilities for the poisonous bite, so I'll be back shortly with a revamp on that feature.

As for Telekinetic vs. Prehensile Tail, honestly, I'm not sure what to do. I think it's advantageous for them to have both, simply because otherwise they effectively only ever have one hand at a time.

The "Mystical Birthright" you have is actually how I initially considered doing the Sagacious Naga's cantrips, but I thought maybe it looked better if they were done separately.
>>
/tg/ what class do you think is the weakest and strongest?
>>
>>49120231
Bard, Wizard, Cleric
>>
Before I forget. Are the Invokers back in 5e? I loved the idea of them.
>>
Is the Warlock a thing in 5e? I desperately want to make a bang bang blaster.
>>
>>49120297
Yes, warlocks are one of the core 12 classes.
>>
Dancer bard coming around again, still looking for any feedback or insight on flavor, phrasing, formatting, and balance that kind anons have to offer.
The 'flavor' of the features has been toned back to be neutral, and should allow plenty of leeway with different flavors of dancer. The capstone feature has had numbers raised and duration lowered, and since this is still only the 2nd iteration of that I'm definitely looking for balance feedback.
>>
>>49120271
What were invokers again?
>>
>>49120427
Divine sorcerers. They were basically the same thing with the cleric spell list, minus Miracle and a few others.
>>
>>49120271
No they been rolled into the Cleric class you want to one you'll have to take one of the blasty or caster domains.
>>
>>49118872
Concealment isn't a thing in 5e. Being obscured is. In order to hide while obscured you have to be heavily obscured. If the enemies cant pass a perception check when he hides they don't know what square he is AND he is effectively invisible.

The thing is though, everyone in mist will be heavily obscured and effectively invisible (if they don't try to use an action to hide though everyone knows what square they are in without bothering with perception). Since both attackers and defenders are effectively invisible, the attack has advantage and disadvantage. The attack is resolved with only 1 d20 roll because of that, but if a rogue has any disadvantage they can't sneak attack, so he is fucked.

It's not a good strategy because the rogue gives up all of his damage, though there is something to be gained in enemies having no idea what square you are in if you roll high enough stealth

For more information, read the fucking manual.
>>
>>49120271
Not, in name...

But I think Cleric spell selection and domains you can approximate? Invokers are battlefield control and summoning correct?
>>
>>49120297
Yes. And you get to choose your pact, and your pact boon. And you can Eldritch Blast All Day Every Day
>>
>>49120122
if you really want to keep the hypnotic gaze, try doing something more akin to my version, so it's still a "natural" ability.

I decided to keep all the cantrips as a single "feature" because there is no need to really separate them, and you do need to state the fact that they do not require material components.

I think you should pick one or the other with prehensile tail or telekinesis, telekinesis imo is just bloat at this point, the core or gimmick of the race in fluff and crunch is to have completely different play-style since they don't have conventional means of interacting with the environment(or at least that's the impression i get with this race).

In any case, look into the Abyssal arcana racial feature from the tiefling variant in the UA That Old Black Magic supplement, it might give you some ideas.

and here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/pub

these guidelines are pretty good when you want to decide how you are going to "blance" or "load" a hombrew race's features and traits.
For example, if I had to place the "Limbless horror" trait somewhere in that scale I would give it a -2 or -2.5 score/charge.
but remember these are guidelines, not some holy law you must abide by 100%.
>>
>>49120329
>>49120535

I'm in love, would you recommend the Warlock for a 5e virgin?
>>
>>49120560
Yea they are super fun and hard to fuck up
>>
>>49120560
It's the simplest of the casters. Your access to spells in a normal way is a bit limited, but thanks to your invocations you get lots of strong at-will powers, including 3 that will power up your Eldritch Blast in various ways. One of the best uses of your 2 spell slots if you're in combat a lot is to cast Hex, which you slap on and enemy with your currently vacant bonus action and get more damage when you spam your Blast on that enemy.
>>
>>49119270
>>49119283
>>49119341

Only a tad bit late, but thank you so much.
>>
>>49120560
Yeah sure, if the group is also 5e virgins then all of you probably aren't hyper optimized
Warlocks on their own are decently powerful, they're really hard to fuck up because agonizing blast+ eldritch blast is truly all you need, but they're not the best without multiclassing fuckery
>>
anyone have a link to the 3.5e Eberron Campaign Setting book?
>>
>>49120642
https://mega.nz/#F!VkgGlSzK!11kU_hPmZpCqYBx8uRaHhA

AD&D 3rd Edition -> Eberron
>>
>>49120676
ty senpai
>>
>>49120630
>Yeah sure, if the group is also 5e virgins then all of you probably aren't hyper optimized

>5e
>Ever worrying about optimization

This is a casual game for people who want to have narrative fun, anon.
>>
>>49120560
Yes. You only have a few spells but they refresh after a short rest instead of long rest. And you have access to a handful of Pacts.

Fey Pact gives you the opportunity for enchanting spells and a jaunty teleport.

Fiend makes you durable and blasty

Great Old One grants you some nifty mind muckery

Undying (Sword Coast Splat) helps you walk among the undead.

Undying Light (Unearthed Arcana Playtest) makes you Radiant in the dark and I think grants slight healing.

The pact boons are...

Pact of the Chain: Gain a better familiar and a more ways to use your familiar, also nifty monster binding options.

Pact of the Tome: get more cantrips from any of the class lists (unlimited 0 level spells) and later you can learn and cast rituals from other classes.

Pact of the Blade: Summon a magic weapon, later get extra attacks.
>>
File: nope.jpg (67KB, 583x437px) Image search: [Google]
nope.jpg
67KB, 583x437px
>>49116501
>>
File: 1449595818486.jpg (13KB, 416x297px) Image search: [Google]
1449595818486.jpg
13KB, 416x297px
>>49120763
>>49120630
>>49120608
>>49120597

I'm definitely gonna have to read through the Player's Handbook and get acquainted with the system, Pathfinder really dropped the ball with blaster-type casters and the Warlock is *exactly* what I need to scratch my itch.

What are some memorable Warlocks you guys have made?
>>
>>49120867
I made one whos patron was DEATH, who sent him out in the world to kill things that was supposed to have died a long time ago. Litches, Vampires, Gods and Old as Elfs. Was really fun to play a character that was seen as evil by some and as a hero by others.
>>
Give me lists of mandatory adventuring gear.

Should I waste gold on potions if we have a cleric?
>>
>>49120944
>Should I waste gold on potions if we have a cleric?
Yes, so they can cast spells that aren't Cure fucking Wounds.

t. War Cleric.
>>
>>49120944
Obviously yes. The cleric can die and run out of spells, or be unable to revive someone in a bad situation. Some "cleric" players like to blow all of their spells on non-healing stuff and end up useless until they can long rest.
>>
>>49120390

Typo
>the arts of moment

>Serene
Scales horribly
>enhancement
While a decent charisma boost, I have no idea what this has to do with dancing

>Spirited
I don't think this competes very well with valor or lore
>duet
not sure what to think of halvsing the purpose of a combat inspiration so you can apply the damage to more people?

>swift
>fermata

Ok.. It's one way to do College of the Maestro, I guess

I don't know, you're just not selling this college very well to me, and I live and breathe bards.

A dance warrior is already a perfectly valid Valor Bard interpretation, and most of the other things you want to do, the Maestro can already do better.
Hell, you could even, just as easily play off a monk whose monastery was a conservatory.

The only idea that I really liked, was that he works off a permanent mage armor, saving you a quick dip in Warlock

Ask me, you need to dump this whole thing, rethink your concept from the ground up, and build from that.

Hell, you have a guy that is supposed to be all about movement, but you give no benefit to classes like rogues, dex warriors and other bards Agility? And you call yourself a choreographer?

It's not like you don't have a model to work off from, think of a cheerleader
>>
>>49120763

Do you think Valor Bards should take a Pact of the Blade, and if so, when?
>>
>>49121161
>>49121079

Our cleric mostly does healing stuff, she's an old west doctor. Drugs are for fun AND healing. I will buy some potions though!
>>
>>49121270
>she's an old west doctor.
Huh. Might be worth seeing if there's shit you can gather for her to make your potions have a bit more kick.
Ya know, if she's into alchemy.
>>
>>49120548
Hmm... I was initially worried that your take on Hypnotic Gaze might be too powerful, since Charm Person is normally only available at 3rd level, but as it lasts for 1 hour and yours lasts for 1 minute, I think maybe it can be okay.

You have a point... what if I keep Prehensile Tail, just so it's explicit that Nagas can actually do stuff, and maybe "Telekinetic Grip" can be a potential racial feat for them?

Anyway, I'll try and do up the revamp of them now.
>>
>>49120867
You know how some Faustian pacts include provisions for the souls of first born...well...some old fool managed to wriggle his way free but left his child to rot do he could enjoy the prestige, wealth, and peerage he sold him for.

So, I spent most of my life in the pit of the 9. Living.

And they had tasks for me as appropriate for my toil. And in doing so I learned. I learned and did well to position myself at the right place and the right time with knowledge if the noble and legal courts of hell.

One day I met The Lord of Hell himself, Amodeud. There I made a pact. Specialized Service for Freedom. Hunting down those who slipped free of their deals by some means or another, and judge them. The black of heart who truly belong among the coals of the infernal, I hasten their arrival. Others, I let be.

By public perception I am a courtier and brown noser. Though I serve other purposes as I suss out those who has done vile deeds to get where they are. I am Gavin Collier, Barrister and Courtly Mage. I have been to hell and worse.

Now, book of Shadows in hand and silent stitches flesh legal aid at my side I take a breather from my last great adventure flush with treasures as we exit the fell mists in return to the Sword Coast from Barovia; having been instrumental in slaying it's cursed count and denying him his greatest prize...while having signed another new agent to my firm.

Allies in the wind, I seek new adventure and to get back to the just works I have committed myself to, for freedom and some degree of absolution...to at least still think myself a good man.
>>
>>49120867

I made two. One was an Archfey pact of the Chain Warlock.

He was basically a Lawyer, inspired of Wolfram & Heart, and his familiar was basically his secretary / paralegal

The second one was the Maiden, a Variant Human Old One Warlock with the Resilient(Con) feat

Her story was basically that she used to be a nun until one day her monastery turned into a marble statue by her superior and her monastery got raided while she was stone

Even though she was petrified, she was still counscious in that state for many, many years, and so she went a insane enough to comune with an old one that allowed her to walk the earth as an animated statue with eldrichtian energy pouring out of her in order to spread chaoss and get revenge
>>
>>49121310

She might be, could be fun to try out. I will bother her next session.
>>
>>49121205
*shrug* mechanically I do not see a nice synergy from that multiclass.
>>
>>49121342

Hey, you're the guy I ripped off that lawyer warlock idea from!

Thanks, its been fun
>>
Naga
Limbless Horror: A naga's unique body shape poses great difficulty in using items designed for humanoids. Armor must be custom fitted, doubling its cost. A naga can only wear magical items on its head, neck and body, though at a DM's discretion it can also wear 1 magical ring on the tip of its tail.
Prehensile Tail: A naga can use its tail as a hand for all relevant purposes - taking actions, wielding a singlehanded weapon, using an item, performing somatic components, etc.
Serpentine Mobility: A naga has a Climb speed of 20 feet and a Swim speed of 20 feet.
Poisonous Bite: A naga is never unarmed. A naga is proficient with its bite, which is a melee weapon that deals 1d4 piercing damage. On a hit, the target must succeed on a Constitution check (DC 8 + Naga's Con modifier + 1/2 Naga's level), or be poisoned for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of it's turns, ending the effect on a success.
>>
>>49121383

Bard 19 and 20 is garbage. Feats are nice, but I don't particularly need ASI at that point in the game, and 20 is cancer

Warlock gives you some more combat utility, shares a CHA spellcasting ability, a L5 slot which you recover on short rests, and pact of the tome gives you all those lovely rituals your tight ass class refuses to allow, or pact of the blade gives you a nice boost to your sword fighting if you're doing valor

Idk, seems like an imperative multiclass after 18 gives you magical secrets and thus WISH
>>
>>49121428

Sagacious Naga
Ability Score Increase: +2 Intelligence
Hypnotic Gaze: A Sagacious Naga possesses a gaze attack that it can direct against a single target within 30 feet. The targeted creature must succeed on a Charisma saving throw (DC 8 + Naga's Cha modifier + 1/2 Naga's level ) against this ability or be charmed up to one minute or until the naga or one of its allies makes a hostile move against it. When the effect ends, the target knows it was charmed. This ability can't be used again until the Naga finishes a long rest.
Mystical Birthright: A Sagacious Naga can cast the Prestidigitation cantrip.

Savage Naga
Crushing Coils: A Savage Naga may attempt to grapple a creature that is no more than two sizes larger than itself, and has Advantage on the Strength (Athletics) check to successfully grapple the target.
Lethal Venom: A Savage Naga's bite attack also inflicts Poison damage equal to the naga's level + its Constitution modifier.
>>
>>49121270
First Aid Kit can be a decent thing to have in a deadly situation too, in case she is unable to heal and you've burned through all potions. Best given to someone with bad wisdom who will likely fail a DC 10 wisdom medical check to stabilize someone so they don't have to make death saving throws.

Beyond that torches, climbing gear, and that sort of stuff.
>>
>>49121407
It is fun. Glad to hear it! It's a good feeling and experience and I hope you kicked ass.

So, Among my take away treasure from CoS are Irena's/Tatyana's, an Archemage's Spell Book, a +1 Sword, the magic great axe that was in the demon tree the spits out blights, bunch of spell scrolls, a few potions, jewelry, excess coins, the goggle helm trinket to peer into the past, a cursed bird cage, the sarcophagus guardian imp's true name, and Visilka.

Would have gotten the Staff of Power, but I let the pre Highschool teen playing their first campaign have it for the final fight and keep it when we were doing the final loot divisions.

I kept a lot of the unwanted things. Bless that party charter I wrote and everyone signed.

How is your Lawyer doing.
>>
File: FEF_Azura.png (206KB, 439x480px) Image search: [Google]
FEF_Azura.png
206KB, 439x480px
>>49121167
>Typo
Good catch, that's been missed 5 times so far.
>Scales horribly
...does it? Admittedly, it's got a pretty early leaning power curve, but all of the dances, and every existing use of bardic inspiration tend to do that.
>Reprise
...what do you mean charisma boost? And as far as having to do with dancing, they have as much as playing a kazoo does with casting fireball. Bardic magic brought about via dancing instead of singing/playing.
>Spirited
Well, it's quite situational, admittedly. Either nothing or a huge use for your martial friends in a fight.
>Duet
...halving the purpose? Yes, it is similar to Valor's ability (more drawbacks though) and applies it to more people, but I'm unsure what you mean by 'halvsing the purpose'.
>Swift/Fermata
I haven't read College of the Maestro. I considered doing so before starting this, but decided since it's not official I'd be better off just using that and designing/balancing these abilities in a vacuum devoid of other homebrew.

>dump this whole thing
...if I were to dump the whole thing again, what could be done differently?
>all about movement
No, not really. The fluff is designed around dancing, but the mechanics as I currently have them are about providing very short range area of effect buffs. One of the three styles is about increasing movement.
...I'm not calling the college, or myself, a choreographer.
.....the model isn't a cheerleader. While that could be a valid archetype that fits in this College, you could also be an effective cheerleader as the others. For that matter, Lore's capability to jeer enemies into failure probably fits that better.
>>
>>49121568
Correction: Irena Tatyana's soul.
>>
>>49121572
>but the mechanics as I currently have them are about providing very short range area of effect buffs.

Well, you see, the thing about the d&d 5e, is that mechanics should feel like the fluff.
Hell, the fluff should be the most important bit from where the mechanics come from, because that's the bit you're having fun with, and that is the one law of D&D

What is it about short range, area of effect buffs that makes you think of "bard" and then "dancing"?

Because if its counter intuitive you're always going to have a hard time to make it feel perfect.

It's entirely possible that I'm eschewing it with my own prejudices, but like, if casting with the dancing arts rather than the musical ones is something so different that you can build an entire college around it, and that is what you need to explain first and foremost so that any feedback I can give feels genuinely constructive.

Do you want a guy that can turn battles into broadway numbers? Since this is still a bard, I presume he sings and dances, so is he more about creating huge distractions instead?
There could really be some room there, considering how underplayed the Performance skill is

Tell me what it is the general plan of what you want to do for the theme of DANCING and then we can maybe see how we could work it better.

If you're really set on this "short range buff" thing instead, then perhaps what we need to dump is the dancer theme entirely. Maybe your own Maestro, or perhaps, the DJ, (with heals being you replaying the loop, and accelerations perhaps mimicking a pick up in the beat)

That would make this more intuitive, and thus easier to build upon

Or maybe even, hear this out

Cleric, Performance Domain
>>
>>49121502
>>49121568
Good good, it's almost done, the class features are more concise.

Everything is perfect, except the sagacious naga now feels lacking, did you used the doc I linked?
I think the sagacious would end up the weaker of the two right now, so I think adding another cantrip and a spell or 2 spells and a cantrip ala "drow magic" would help.

check that out because the magical sub race doesn't really feel that magical(at least compared to other magic casting races).
>>
>>49121568

Ah, I didn't make it for myself, I made it for a friend of mine, who can only play occasionally, so he's just now made it to L3.

He's having an obscene ammount of fun. See, he's an actual lawyer whose always had a giant fantasy nerd bone, whom I met in debate club years ago.

So when he realized what social interactions were, and their implications, I knew we had a created a monster. The DM's eyes went out like a deer.
>>
>>49121833
Would you be willing to help me figure out what spells to add to the Sagacious Naga? I agree that it'd look stronger with more of them, but I'm just not sure which ones best fit its "theme".

Doesn't help that I've goto a bit of a bad track record with choosing spells; there's this one race I'm trying to convert, the Witchbreed Caliban, and you wouldn't believe the chewing out I got for letting them have Eldritch Blast as a racial spell.
>>
>>49121502
>hypnotic gaze
Alright
1. Don't copy the names of other features unless you want a special interaction between that feature and the other feature. Good examples:
Extra attack - Extra attack does not stack.
Unarmoured defence - You can only choose one unarmoured defence to apply. You cannot have both.
Given how you've worded this, you would not be able to have hypnotic gaze from wizard's level 2 AND the naga racial, which is weird, because they're not the same thing.

2. Why a charisma saving throw? It is not an attempt of possession or to remove them from the plane or to sense their alignment or something of that descriptor.
It is a wisdom saving throw to attempt to magically charm them.

3. Saving throw. The saving throw should be 8+(Some type of modifier, charisma in this case)+proficiency bonus.
It is unusual to deviate from this, especially when you get a DC of 23 at level 20 instead of 19.

4. What type of action does it take? A free action? A reaction on anyone's turn? It seems a little generous to give CC with an extra-high DC as a free action. It should be a bonus action at least, I think.

>lethal venom
Holy fuck this is overpowered as fuck.
A barbarian at level 20 would do 1d4+38 damage while raging, and get two attacks of that due to it being a multi-attack
The target then makes a saving throw with a DC of 23, which as above, isn't really supposed to happen.

Granted, poison isn't a very powerful damage type.

(cont...)
>>
>>49121833

The Sagacious Naga having a charisma based racial but no charisma racial boosts is confusing to me

Also, adding half its level makes it a bit OP at later levels. Especially if it goes anywhere in the same country as a friendly bard
>>
File: 1472495248133.png (609KB, 744x850px) Image search: [Google]
1472495248133.png
609KB, 744x850px
Why are you not allowed to have +2 to Wisdom when you are allowed +2 to every other stat? Its like only variant human that can do it. Or am I just blind and missing something?
>>
>>49121908
Haha! Fucking Brilliant. Glad to hear your friend is having fun.
>>
>>49118729
I'd be willing to hear your ideas.
>>
>>49121502
(Cont...)

Crusing coils - I don't really like anything that say 'you always get advantage' as advantage is normally a conditional thing.
I'd rather see something like 'You can grapple a target up to one or two sizes larger than you, and you can make this grapple at 10ft range' or something.
I don't know, it's probably okay, but I just generally don't believe that advantage is supposed to be something that's conditional and not permanent. GIving proficiency in athletics could be a thing, or even 'you gain expertise in attempts to grapple targets', though that's probably more powerful than advantage and lessens the point of strength-based rogue/bard sorts.

>>49121428
I think everything else up here is fine. The only thing I'd bring into question is the bite attack, which is highly questionable.

Most forms of CC are limited - You cannot spam it, unless it's something like a grapple.

Here, you're granting a 1d4 attack that applies potential CC with every single hit.
Instead, the ability to apply poison should probably be usable only a limited number of times a day, such as up to (con modifier) number of times.

And again, DC should follow proficiency rather than half level.
>>
>>49121962

Wisdom is a bit of a God skill. It's got the a shit load of saves, and both perception and insight work off from it (not that Medicine is a bad boost at all either)

Dexterity is pretty bad too, but at least most dex based people are squishy as hell
>>
>>49122046

I'd probably go with adding your proficency bonus to grappling

Advantage should always, always be conditional
>>
>>49121974

Yeah, and its brought us a little closer too. Thanks, satanbro.

Took one of those Charm tieflings and refluffed it as a Satyr, with Sylvan instead of infernal
>>
>>49122139
This warms the depths of my hellfire heart, almost as much as repeatedly flame striking Strahd in his stupid face.

Give my best to your Satyr'd buddy on their journey ahead.
>>
>>49121962

Because wisdom can't be trained.
>>
>>49122087
That sounds like it might work if it's 'if you don't add proficiency to grappling, you add proficiency. If you normally add proficiency, you can add half proficiency again for a total of 1.5 proficiency. If you add 2x proficiency, you don't gain any benefit.'

Stops people from stacking grapplechecks to hell and back, still has a reason to have it if you have proficiency in athletics, still a reason to have it if you don't have proficiency in athletics.

Adding full proficiency on top of normal athletics proficiency would be too good, I think. Normally you only do this if you take levels in bards and rogues, and bards and rogues don't ordinarily use strength anyway. +6 is much better than advantage, usually, given there are a good number of ways you could gain advantage on top of that.
>>
>>49121782
>What is it about short range, area of effect buffs that makes you think of "bard" and then "dancing"?
Well, Bard comes to mind as a class that primarily has power that comes from supporting their allies. Dancing comes to mind as something that can involve nearby allies directly, and the fluff of "dancing magic is more short range than verbal/musical magic" comes from the imagery of a dancer as nimble, able to dodge or deflect blows, and being willing to gracefully intermingle in combat instead of primarily standing at the back lines and calling out to allies and enemies with quips and fun facts or wading into the middle of enemies coated in armor and barking encouragement to your shield brothers.
I don't find that to be counterintuitive, but that could be due to MY prejudices of 'dancer' classes in videogames.
I was planning on adding some fluff paragraphs at the beginning, but thought I should nail down how it works mechanically and balance it and construct the fluff around that, in an effort to make the different between the two less jarring.
>Do you want a guy that can turn battles into broadway numbers?
Not particularly. It's more about the bard magically enhancing allies in close proximity. Perhaps you could visualize them joining as well, but it's more "By evoking the magic of moving quickly, allies close enough to benefit from my magic can move supernaturally fast as well"
I have told you the general plan for the theme of dancing, area of effect buffs local to the bard.
Dumping the dancer theme and keeping mechanics is tied to whether dancing fits those mechanics, and as I stated above, I believe it does. I don't know the mechanics of the Maestro to comment on it, but I certainly don't want to create homebrew to directly compete with something that is so successful and, I presume, at least somewhat good for it. DJs don't really fit a fantasy setting, unless they're just magically mixing the sounds they produce.
>>
>>49122065
Dexterity is the true king. The only people who can avoid dexterity are heavy-armour-wearers, and they're screwed if they lose their heavy armour and are forced to face sucky initiatives, never stealthing and crappy dex saves.

Wisdom isn't entirely essential, but is almost always the best out of the stats other than dex/con/yourmainstat if you have extra points to allocate.

I wouldn't call dex-based peope squishy.
Barbarians can be dex based. Fighters can be dex based.
Heck, if you go strength and get heavy armour and dump dex, you're overall probably less tanky than a guy in medium armour with high dex.

Dexterity is the real enemy.
>>
>>49121949
>>49122046
Thank you for all the honest critique. I'll try to address your comments in order.

Hypnotic Gaze:
* Don't suppose you could suggest a better name for it to solve this problem?

* I got my defenses mixed up, you're right, it should be vs. Wisdom.

* Wouldn't the Naga actually lack a proficiency bonus in relation to this, or am I misremembering what you get Proficiency from?

* It's supposed to take a "full" action to use, I'll need to reword that to make it explicit.

Lethal Venom: Is it really that powerful? I mean, given your naga *can't use* the two-handed weapons or the duel-wielding of a standard barbarian, is the damage output from a savage naga barb focusing on bite attacks that overpowered in comparison?

Crushing Coils: I'm not 100% sold on the "always have advantage" but, really, how useful is it? It's nice if you're playing a melee-focused fighter type, but that still means you're aiming to build it for that specific thing. Hmm... maybe just the augmented range of grappling targets and added range you can make a grapple from is better, I'm really open to suggestions here.

Bite Attack: Sorry, but, what do you mean by CC? Otherwise, I'm fine with changing it to run off of a "reserves" system - does 1 + Con Modifier poisonous bites per short rest, minimum of 1, sound fair to you? - and the DC changeover.

>>49121961
If you look closer, Hypnotic Gaze keys off of the Sagacious Naga's Charisma bonus to determine its resistance DC.
>>
File: 1458646860739.jpg (102KB, 904x1320px) Image search: [Google]
1458646860739.jpg
102KB, 904x1320px
ls there a reason to pick ranger over other classes? Besides of course being a pteranodon riding halfling at level 3.
>>
>>49121980
You have any preferences for the gender match-up? I just kind of prefer male human/female orc and that mightn't be your thing. I'll get my kneejerk ideas out of the way whilst I'm still here all the same, but I figured I owed you a warning about the bias beforehand.
>>
Is chill touch the only necromancy cantrip?

I'm playing a death cleric and get one for free, and chill touch seems like a nice use of it...and also my only choice. Is there another one in aany of the other material that's been released as of yet?
>>
>>49121782
>>49122371
Continuing.
While a character that uses illusion spells to "mix" sounds that he makes or hears seems somewhat interesting, bonus points for kenku extreme beatboxing, that's not what I'm currently going for and I don't think these mechanics fit it well. (Now, abilities like portent or lucky that let you mix allies' results...)

>Another cleric domain of an existing class
Druid color palette and Wizard color palette clerics are already stupid outside of settings that have a "sits in a pantheon and shits clerics all day" god for everything, like FR.
>>
>Finally join a group
>Level 5
>Fighting some bandits and their leader
>DM keeps attacking the fighter in plate and with a shield
>ask why he doesn't attack me (sorcerer) or the warlock as we are wearing robes and actually doing damage while they can't even hit the fighter
>players get annoyed at me for suggesting this
am I in the wrong?
>>
>>49122371

I actually find Dancing may have grounds for a broader range than Bard, since its visual, rather than auditory

I see your point better now though. The Bard conjures the magical support forces, and Dance comes from being captured in that short range effect where the force takes over his body. The dance is not the source of his power, but the symptom of it, flowing through like his whole body is the arcane focus.

Now that's got some meat we can sick our teeth into

>>49122371
>DJs don't really fit a fantasy setting, unless they're just magically mixing the sounds they produce.

My Maestro "uses" a wand as a focus, but his instrument is his ability to produce notes from his minor illusion cantrip.
>>
>>49122422
>Besides of course being a pteranodon riding halfling at level 3.

You need another reason?
>>
Anyone know of a sort of "tree of life" homebrew for druids? Something that would improve their healing abilities like A friend of mine is trying to switch from WoW to D&D and wants to do mostly healing/utility stuff.
>>
>>49122394
>* Don't suppose you could suggest a better name for it to solve this problem?
You can probably come up with a name yourself just fine. Something like 'alluring gaze'

>* Wouldn't the Naga actually lack a proficiency bonus in relation to this, or am I misremembering what you get Proficiency from?
Your proficiency bonus is dicatated by your total levels regardlessof multiclassing. If you add your proficiency bonus, it'll be dependent on your total levels. See dragonborn's breath DC for an example of racial abilities using proficiency bonus.

>lethal venom
Alright, here's the thing.
You're sacrificing a 2d6 weapon for a 1d4 weapon. That's a -4.5 to damage on average, which is quite a big deal (7->2.5 damage before strength modifier).You also lose the ability to use magical weapons, which is circumstance-based as magical weapons are not a given.

However, the damage increase is ridiculous.
+25 damage per hit (Only barbarians normally get 24 con for +27 damage, so I'll assume a fighter now ith 20 con) at level 20 is crazy.
A fighter at level 20 can make four attacks per turn.
If they hit every attack, that's +100 poison damage every turn. That is immense, as a racial no less.

At level 5 with 18 con, that's still crazy. +9 damage for every attack, and you'll probably make two attacks a round.

And then if you go against anything poison immune (There are a lot of these), you'll end up sucking, big-time.

(cont..)
>>
>>49122517
Because those fighters have no real way of forcing those bandits to actually fight them without taking the Sentinal feat to force them to stay in their threat range, and the warlock likes not being slapped the fuck down when he gets uppity.

You're caught up in a game modeled around a WoW dungeon, only the tank doesn't even have to press buttons to keep the aggro.
>>
>>49122517
You're not in the wrong, just the wrong group.
>>
>>49122394
I took the liberty to make some changes to your race, I hope you like them.

Naga
Prehensile Tail: A naga can use its tail as a hand for all relevant purposes - taking actions, wielding a singlehanded weapon, using an item, performing somatic components, etc.
Poisonous Bite: A naga is never unarmed. A naga is proficient with its bite, which is a melee weapon that deals 1d4 piercing damage. On a hit, the target must succeed on a Constitution check (DC 8 + Naga's Con modifier + Proficiency Bonus), or be poisoned for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of it's turns, ending the effect on a success.

Here the only change is to the DC of the poison save that comes with the bite attack, now uses proficiency as the extra modifier instead of half levels.
>>
>>49122394
(cont)
Oh, right, and about the bites...

You get +4.5 damage on average for every hit for using a 2d6 weapon over a 1d4 weapon. That is way less than up to +25 damage every hit. Way, way less.

Anyway, onwards.

>crushing coils
It's not massively useful. Grappling is quite powerful in the right circumstances, but cannot harm things by itself.
The real problem is that by granting always-advantage you give no incentive to ever have allies give you advantage to help your grapple attempts. No reason to cast enlarge person, no reason to use rage or to use enhance ability to enhance your grapples... Because you already have advantage.

Advantage is really supposed to be a situational bonus, so something like suggested above (Instead, add your proficiency to grapple checks if you don't already, or up to 1.5x your proficiency if you already add your proficiency)
might work out, I think. More grapple utility is always nice, such as the 'you can grapple larger things' you've put down, as those are more interesting than just 'you get higher rolls.'

>bite attack
Crowd control. Status effects and all that. A monk, for example, has to use ki points to use stunning fist.
Up to 6 every short rest sounds a bit much for a racial, I think, and demands you have high con to make it work. Maybe
>[Con mod] uses per short rest (minimum of 2)
Would work a bit better.
>>
>>49122696

Sagacious Naga
Ability Score Increase: +2 Wisdom
Hypnotic Gaze: A Sagacious Naga possesses a gaze attack that it can direct against a single target within 30 feet. The targeted creature must succeed on a Charisma saving throw (DC 8 + Naga's Wis modifier + Proficiency Bonus) against this ability or be charmed up to one minute or until the naga or one of its allies makes a hostile move against it. When the effect ends, the target knows it was charmed. This ability can't be used again until the Naga finishes a long rest.
Mystical Birthright: You know the Sacred flame and Thaumaturgy cantrips. When you reach 3rd level you may cast the Detect magic spell once per long rest. You don't need the material components when casting this spells.

The hypnotic gaze name Is intentional as this means anything that would affect "hypnotic gaze" would affect it too, there are example of monster with the same abilities of all challenge levels where jsut the specific numbers change (duration, DC, etc), so this shouldn't be a problem. Again the only change was done to the DC in this ability

How ever now the attribute bonus goes to wisdom instead of intelligence, which synergises with the Hypnotic gaze ability.

And now you start with two cantrips and gain a lvl one spell at third level.
>>
>>49118570
>>49118729
>>49121980

#1: A female sorceress/wizard and would-be evil overlord who dominated one or more orc tribes and chose to take a subordinate chieftain as her lover. Your PC would thusly be wanting to atone for the evil of his (her?) mother as well as - or instead of! - their father.

#2: As 1, but the evil mage was your human father and your mother was a female orc chieftain, a chieftain's daughter, a formerly male chief he polymorphed into a woman and took as his mate to emphasize his control over the tribe, whatever you want.

#3: A female warrior-type adventurer with a taste for strong men and casual sex who defeated/impressed an orc warrior. They may have stuck together, or it was a one-night stand thing that led to your PC's conception, but it was very much on her terms that she got pregnant.

#4: A political marriage intended to secure peace, anything from a wealthy merchant securing safe passage through the tribe's lands to a small kingdom making peace with a stronger, more warlike neighbor. Any gender combination works for this one. Could be cold and political, worked out as a genuine love affair, or seem stormy and argumentative but actually be a case of love - they just both like fighting as much as they love making up.

#5: A male warrior defeated an orc chief in battle, achieving peace, but was expected to marry the chieftain's daughter to cement that peace.

#6: After defeating a typical evil orc camp, one of the abused females threw herself on your father's mercy. Attempted chivalry/mercy later, they were lovers - being a paladin could be something you picked up from him.

#7: When your human warrior father defeated your orc warrior mother in battle, she became determined to avenge her defeat. Rivalry gave way to lust, and you were born.
>>
>>49122749
Sorry, had so many ideas I had to split the post. Hope this provides you with some inspiration!

#8: Your human parent was a noble with a taste for xenophilia. Your orc parent was a bodyguard - or prostitute - that they hired and eventually had their way with. They may have kept your orc parent as their spouse, or they have sent them on their way, leaving them to bring you up.

#9: Your parents both may come from tribal communities who just freely intermarried, because life is too tough to bother picking fights. This one would make your paladinhood a little tricky to explain.

#10: Your father was a handsome human noble taken captive by a she-orc bandit chief. She meant to hold him for ransom, but she got a little too frisky with the merchandise whilst she was waiting. Lot of thought needs to get put in about which parent raised you and what happened after you were conceived.

#11: Your parents were slaves together and managed to escape. Stranded in the wilderness, they had to work together to survive, and eventually fell in love.

#12: Your mother was a woodlands dwelling spinster-type. Your dad was an outcast orc who found your mom would give him food and shelter if he did the "men's work" of hunting, hard labor, etc for her. Things got cuddly, and eventually you came along.

#13: Your human parent was left for dead in your orc parent's territory. Your orc parent was a shaman/witchdoctor/apprentice to one of the aforementioned who took them in and healed them. Love (or at least lust) bloomed and before your human parent left, you'd been conceived.
>>
>>49122742

Savage Naga
Crushing Coils: A Savage Naga may attempt to grapple a creature that is no more than two sizes larger than itself and that is at most 10 feet away.
Lethal Venom: A Savage Naga's bite attack also inflicts Poison damage equal to 1d4 plus its Constitution modifier. This damage increases to 1d6 + Con at 3rd level and to 1d8 + Con at 5th level.

I have removed the always advantage section of crushing coils and replaced it with a "reach" grapple.

Lethal venom now grants additional damage dice plus constitution and this damages increases at certain levels.
>>
>>49118570
Child of two rape-baby Half-orcs who wanted a better life for their child than the abuse/abandonment they suffered through.
>>
>>49122576

Circle of the spring might be what you're looking for

But if what he really wants is a treant, you might be looking at circle of the moon and then accept him as a sort of elemental
>>
>>49122567
Yea, actually worthy and unique features that make me want to keep playing a class.
>>
>>49122583
>>49122697
Okay, thank you for the explanations. Yes, when you explain things like that, it points out the real problems I had with the original renditions. I definitely need to correct those.

Crushing Coils already lets a Savage Naga grapple Huge or smaller creatures, as opposed to Large or smaller for being Medium, so I take it you'd approve of the "can grapple from a distance" approach to the addition?

I might just stick with Alluring Gaze or Serpent's Eyes, then.

>>49122696
>>49122742
>>49122777
Appreciate the sentiment. Only problem I really have is that I'm not a huge fan of the ability score increase you made to the Sagacious Naga, or the spell-like abilities you gave it. I know the Guardian Naga has clerical magic, but the Spirit Naga has wizardly magic, so... I'm just not a huge fan of it. I appreciate the effort, but I need to think about it some more.
>>
>>49122894

do what every one does

Get to level 3 then multiclass to Rogue

Or else just want until the beastmaster ranger gets that UA rehaul we've been teased
>>
>>49122809
>Child of two rape-baby Half-orcs who wanted a better life for their child than the abuse/abandonment they suffered through.

>Implying half-orcs breed true
>Implying they aren't sterile
>>
>>49122983
> Implying real world genetics have anything at all to do with the races of D&D
>>
>>49122423
Yeah, I had the male human/ female orc angle in mind as well.
>>
>>49123120
Very Order of the Stick.
>>
>>49116343
Has anyone created a desert island map? There are literally 0 other stipulations for it. I'm homebrewing my first campaign and the need has arisen for one. I don't really know of any map generation resources and am a terrible artist myself. Any help at all would be extremely appreciated.
>>
>>49122749
I use #4 at my table to justify how a half orc came into a position of power in a up and coming country. Everyone gave me the stinkeye and basically said "no way, orcs are evil, that guy is clearly a rapebaby."
>>
>>49122749
>>49122773
Thanks anon.
>>
>>49123165
Look at the Isle of Dread adventure from the 5e playtest. It's got some nice stuff, but it isn't technically deserted so you might have to make some alterations.
>>
>>49123202
You need to call them on that shit. That hasn't been the default assumption for half-orcs since at least 2nd edition or 3e's Kingdoms of Kalamar setting.

Seriously, one of the reasons I'm trying my hand to make more monstrous PC races is because I think we need to be more open to things that aren't the bogstandard demihuman array. One of the reasons why I liked it when 4e added Dragonborn and Tieflings to the core race list.

>>49123120
>>49123254
It was no worries. Any you particularly like? The "parents escaped from slavery together" angle was actually used as the backstory (female orc, male human) for a half-orc NPC in one of Pathfinder's Skull & Shackles adventures.
>>
>>49123330

>What do we want!
>GOBLIN PCs!
>When do we want them!
>5E!
>>
On the "revamping naga" front... is it overpowered if I change the Sagacious Naga to being +1 Int and +1 Wis (on top of the +1 Cha for being a naga) and make Mystical Birthright into an ability where you know "Prestidigitation, plus 1 Wizard OR Cleric cantrip of your choice"?

>>49123367
Well, we're getting them in Volo's Guide out in November, alongside full-blood Orcs, so I'm not really fussed on trying my hand at those. :P

I have got an attempted homebrew for Kobolds, though I'm really not sure how well it worked. Heck, ended up with two "racial variants" as well as a sub-race approach.
>>
>>49123330
>>49123367
I'm actually in an all goblins campaign right now, and it's going fantastically. The DM is using a custom setting where goblins are less vermin and more a semi-civilized race that nobody likes but some people tolerate. He's been doing a great job playing out some of the prejudice against our group while still leaving it open enough for us to prove ourselves.
>>
>>49123322
Will do. Thanks!
>>
>>49123254
I just remembered something I forgot to add to the options; Charm Person spell that went very wrong (there was a character in a Greyhawk novel who wound up with a non-evil harpy daughter that way), or a Wild Magic-fuelled Charm Person spell.

Seriously, the "wild surge" tables for Wild Magic Sorcerer and Wand of Wander are practically begging for shenanigans where a caster and a monster wind up infatuated with each other and hilarity ensues.
>>
>>49116515
Not likely, since we won't be getting any Greyhawk this edition.

It hurts, anon.
>>
>>49120932

that's a good way to do neutral evil, maybe neutral
>>
>>49118549
>>49118562
Thanks anons, I have a good idea of what to do now
>>
>>49122428

that and spare the dying...but if you're going death cleric, NOT going the dps route is silly
>>
After being a player in a few campaigns I wanted to try my hand at DMing and decided to not use a module, now I am regretting it.
Other than PoTA and lost mines what modules would be the best for a DM who's still learning? I was thinking about CoS or OotA
>>
>>49123878
Stick to CoS.
>>
Since this thread has been so kind about my ongoing efforts at statting monstrous PCs - obligatory bump for my last Naga-related query; >>49123407 - I'm feeling brave enough to ask this:

I've got this idea for a D&D fanfic featuring a male human necromancer and three female "tunnel grots" turned anti-hero adventurers after the dungeon they used to all share together was taken over by a bigger evil force. But, there's a few things I'm having trouble with.

Firstly, the party set up; the humanoids consist of a goblin (berserker barbarian), a ratfolk (ninja monk) and a kobold "healer". I'm drawing a blank on what class to make the kobold; I've got the basic idea that they're essentially their tribe's former shaman/witch-doctor, but the existant Cleric doesn't really seem to fit that motif. Any class suggestions?

Secondly, would the party make-up be functional, assuming 5th edition ruleset as the underlying "crunch"?

Thirdly, I'm not sure what kind of "bigger bad" to have them opposing. I know it took over their old home and massacred the humanoids' tribes - these three survived because they were diplomatic envoys to the necromancer's part of the dungeon, and so they beat a fighting retreat from it & banded together afterwards for revenge/survival - but I'm not sure what the actual nature of that bigger bad is. Anyone willing to make suggestions? I'm currently thinking something like hobgoblins, drow, or an aberrant cult.

Finally, as you've probably guessed from both gender disparity and the comments I've made, this is going to eventually include interspecies romance. Would it be okay if I got some ideas on how to make each girl unique in what makes her "appealing" from a physical viewpoint?

Actually, and probably preferrable, I could kind of use some help/critique building up the characters properly in general. Name, looks, histories, etc, so I can try to avoid mary sue syndrome.
>>
File: 1435463427324.jpg (342KB, 742x900px) Image search: [Google]
1435463427324.jpg
342KB, 742x900px
>>49122532
>flowing through like his whole body is the arcane focus.
That's pretty much what I'm going for. The effects that their Movements of Grace give are the result of performing a sort of constant somantic spell with their entire body.
>produce notes from his minor illusion cantrip
The idea of using illusion magic to produce music is something I've been intrigued by for a while. One of my only fully painted figures was for a gnome illusionist wizard that I hoped to play once, and I pictured at high levels conjuring an entire illusory orchestra conducted by Malleable Illusions.

To any bored anons who'd like to be helpful, still looking for feedback on a dancer bard college here >>49120390
>>
>>49119042
throw a blanket over its head and have the next person on the turn order grapple it so it can't take the blanket off it's head
>>
File: 1b5.jpg (35KB, 293x636px) Image search: [Google]
1b5.jpg
35KB, 293x636px
>>49124471
Here's an idea: They don't *need* to have the direct abilities of classes. Those are just an abstraction for the game. Make him a shaman and give him appropriate powers as plot would have them. Makes it more timeless that way, too.
Party roles are vaguely defined, and in the game short rest mechanics make healing plausible for anyone. As above, you don't need to copy game mechanics for your fiction.
The bigger bad can be a bigger good, can it not?
>Harem monster shit
why did I type this without reading ahead
>>
>>49124471
If it's a fanfic, you don't really need to abide by strict crunch for the sake of storytelling. Have the kobold be a shaman with whatever abilities that would entail. Classes are really more about how a character goes about killing shit (90% of abilities are combat oriented) than who they are as an individual. Treat it like statting out NPC's..you don't give NPC's class levels, you give them whatever features and abilities you want that are thematically appropriate.

As for story elements, I would go for demons or aberrations (or similar unearthly beings) expanding into their home and wrecking shit. The party is now out to reclaim their home but may need magic artifacts or strong allies in order to take the threat on head to head.

I'll humor you on the interspecies romance, but know that that sort of thing is better reserved for other threads and really shouldn't be discussed here. The goblin will need to be more WoW than D&D, ratfolk can be made out to be very decorated with dyed fur and maybe an innate talent for performing, kobold probably has lots of shiny jewelry to flash around and a naturally clever personality.
>>
>>49122916
Grappling from a distance can certainly work. That could be potentially strong, since the grappled creature then can't melee you... But I think opening grappling options than simply buffing grappling like that is a good idea.
I saw 'grapple at 10ft' on the ability of some frog race before.

Honestly sounds slightly powerful but it's not like the DM can't find waysto beat it, and it sounds fun.
>>
>>49118957
There is no DC, one hides and if the Stealth check total is higher than the enemies passive Percetion then you are hidden from them

If you are a DM annoyed by thenperma hidden rogue use a prepared action to attack
>>
>>49120006
Ask your motherfucking DM
>>
Roger. I'd rather focus on just what the characters are like anyway.

As for the Witchdoctor thing... really, I'm just not sure what that'd actually be like. From vague memories of how the kits tended to work back in AD&D, I figure it'd essentially be a warlock who can also double as a healbot/counterspeller; not as good at curing as a "real" cleric, but still capable of zapping you with Cure Wounds or Cure Poison if you really need it.

And yeah, I know I don't *need* to make "official crunch", but, frankly, I like using the mechanics as a backdrop for stuff, and it is a niche I've wondered about running on actual game sessions.
>>
File: 1472569989943.png (1MB, 845x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1472569989943.png
1MB, 845x1200px
>>49125031
>Being unable to attack a creature that's grappling you from range
Nah. That's ludicrous. If your players were fighting a giant octopus and one was grappled and wanted to attack the tentacle, would you say "No, you can't do that. Clearly the octopus's token is still 5 feet away from you."
Being able to bigger things from 10 feet away isn't unreasonable, but it should then pull them to you.
...in any case, perhaps we should reconsider the size of a naga. Look at the Naga monsters, and as an even better exampe the Yuan-Ti Abomination (torso of a humanoid, snake's body and head). They're large. A snake body would be pretty long. They should probably be Large sized with the stipulations that their gear and carry weight is the same as medium creatures, and they can fit through the spaces as medium creatures without squeezing.
>>
Quick question: going by RAW if I roll for wealth do I get to keep the GP I get from my background?
>>
>>49125281
No. Rolling for starting wealth forfeits both class and background equipment.
>>
>>49125277
Actually, nix that maybe. I just realized that Yuan-Ti Malisons can have a human head and upper body with a serpentine lower body, and are medium.
>>
>>49125277
Oh, then again, I think...

You could either make it so it's then pulled towards the grappler - which doesn't make it too special.
Or, you could make it so that they're grappled at 10ft, but they can still attack since they can attack the tail.

MIght be interesting to see a constrict attack while grappled.
>>
Tentacles and things should be like hydra heads and have HPs so you can cut them off or bludgeon them into uselessness if you get grappled.
>>
>>49125336
I feel like that would be annoying to track for a random encounter, but I would totally use it as a boss monster with token "tentacles" that behave as creatures with an AC and HP pool, and can only take the grapple action.
>>
>>49125277
That's a cute snake-girl.
>>
>>49125126
Actually, on this topic, I know for a fact that there's a homebrewed Shub-Niggurath patron for Warlocks, and I think it gets some curative spells; perhaps it'd be a decent use for a "Witch Doctor" type warlock, or at least a basis to build a new patron from?
>>
>>49125438

It's how Hydras and Krakens worked in 3.5. I'm sure there are other examples too.
>>
While I'm thinking of it, I wanted to thank the anons in this here thread for being so chill about my race homebrewing. I know it's a pretty damn weird race, especially in a game where just playing a full-blooded orc, a goblin or a minotaur is traditionally considered pretty bizarro, but you guys have been really calm, helpful and sincere, so I'm really thankful.

Would it be okay if I had other races I wanted to run by here as well? I've been trying to come up with a Ratfolk race for a post-magical apocalyptic setting for some time, and I really want to try my hand at updating the Lupins from Mystara, simply because pseudo-french swashbuckling wolf-people is a hilariously gonzo concept to play around with.

Would anons be okay with that?
>>
>>49124471
Druid
>>
>>49125546
Would you consider making a fox girl race?
>>
>>49125570
Hmm... not really a huge fan of the druid class, and honestly I don't think it meshes so well with the witch doctor/shaman archetype. Still, thanks for the suggestion; I'll consider it.

>>49125577
Depends.

Would I consider making a kitsune race that's built for just solid crunch and letting players/DMs apply the pervy aspects as window trappings to their specific characters? Absolutely.

Would I make a kitsune race based exclusively off of their memetic sex appeal, ala the catgirls way up at the top of the thread? Probably not.
>>
>>49125577
Take a tiefling, change infernal ancestry to fae ancestry, SCAG variant charm spells, infernal to sylvan. Done.
>>
>>49125438
Don't give them HP, just have them be killed if at least 5hp of damage is done to them in one attack

Increase the amount if its a more powerful creature, but probably not more than 10 or 15 total
>>
>>49125656
*replace hellish resistance with fey ancestry, infernal legacy with devil's tongue
>>
>>49125447
>>49125126

DIfferent anon here, this is the pdf he's referring to.

On that note, I was pretty sure there was a sequel or at least an expanded version of this, and I was wondering if anyone had saved it? Mostly want to know if there was an option to have Yig as a patron.
>>
>>49125633
>Absolutely
Great. If I don't get banned I'll probably make a serious one too. We can compare notes.
If you think that homebrew at the top isn't ironic though you haven't read it senpai.

>>49125656
Maybe. I hate tiefling as a mechanical base though. Mostly because it's weak as shit.
>>
>>49125690
I prefer the HP variant so that you can beat them to death with enough time, but I can see how that would be easier to manage and make the creature more challenging to fight.
>>
Doing some potential dungeon planning, and I was wondering-
If you're in a dungeon and the DM tells you that he planned things to be balanced so that you'd all be able to split up and find the things by yourselves, would you be on board with splitting up, or would you rather stay together? Which one do you think would take longer? Let's say it's a party of four level 4 characters and each encounter is CR1.
>>
>>49125717
Split into pairs. Better to be safe than sorry.
>>
>>49125711
I'm not very good at reading tones even in real life, so I wasn't sure.

Anyway, using the Pathfinder Kitsune from Inner Sea Races as a starting point, this'd be my first spitballed attempt at a serious kitsune:

Kitsune
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Charisma, +1 Dexterity
Vision: Low-Light Vision
Fox-shifter: A kitsune is a shapeshifter who has access to three forms; its true form (a humanoid fox), a single human form, and a fox form. Shifting between forms requires an action and can be done once per short rest. Treat shifting into fox form as per the Druid Wild Shape, except the only form it can take is that of a fox.
Fox-Fire: A kitsune knows the Dancing Lights and Firebolt cantrips. When casting with this trait, Charisma is their spellcasting ability score.
Graceful: A kitsune has Advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks.

I'd probably also cook up a "Multi-Tailed/Tail Magic" feat that gives more spell-like abilities as a kitsune levels up, but that's trickier to do and I need some more time to cook it up. 5e isn't PF, can't and shouldn't go the feat tax route...
>>
File: 1436716761358.jpg (39KB, 233x233px) Image search: [Google]
1436716761358.jpg
39KB, 233x233px
>>49125884
>Basing kitsune on pathfinder kitsune instead of mythology or even the modern common version
History shit > weeb shit > fur shit
>>
>>49125884
If I had a hard-coded shifting trait, I don't think I'd put its use on a short-rest cooldown. The utility of that feature is neat, but mechanically it's not terribly powerful. I'd rather just allow them the shift as an action and just maintain their stats and hit points stay the same between forms.
I love dancing lights as a cantrip for them, but I really really wish dancing lights didn't suck. I might actually modify the dancing lights cantrip for them specifically to not require concentration or something and not add firebolt.
Feel like I would want one last feature too, but I dunno if your Graceful feature there would be what I'd be looking for.

Decent spitball though. I can agree with the attributes for sure I think.
>>
Is getting Aquatic Half-Elf variant worth losing the 2 skill Proficiencies? I really want my Aquatic themed half elf Druid
>>
>>49125884
I believe there was a discussion earlier in the thread about why giving unconditional advantage is not a good thing as a racial skill. The better alternative is to give automatic proficiency.

To the best of my knowledge, low light vision is no longer a thing. I just got a new computer so I don't have the PHB handy at the moment.
>>
>>49125968
The "use Druid WIld Shape" rules is because 5e already gives us a pretty decently balanced set of rules for swapping between humanoid and animal forms, so it made sense to me to just re-use it. No sense reinventing the wheel, right? I do agree that with the non-combative nature of the beast form, restricting its use might be kind of over-done.

An alternative for dancing lights might be faerie fire, perhaps? Firebolt was something I added because of the idea of kitsunes in myth actually using their "fox fire" to burn people as well as lead them astray.

Messing with the crunch of canonical spells can potentially be unbalanced, as a fair warning to you. Not saying you shouldn't, especially since I admit I don't really know a lot about the subtle arts of balancing shit (my first attempt at the Derro Dwarf and Witchspawn Caliban are proof of that), but still, be careful for that.

Graceful I mostly went with because that's basically what they get in Pathfinder. I find it kind of underwhelming myself - frankly, I think a lot of PF's races have interesting fluff but abysmal crunch, even for running D&D 3.75 - but I was just at a loss as to what else to add.

Thanks for your opinions, though, and looking forward to seeing your take on it.

>>49125709
Hmm... a sequel? I can't say I've ever heard of there being such a thing, honestly.

>>49126121
Good point, and you're right, there's no PC races with low-light vision anymore. You've either got darkvision or you don't. Definitely changes I'd make to my version, then.

>>49126097
Depends; how important is it to you to have amphibious and a swim speed outside of beast form?
>>
>>49126121
>I believe there was a discussion earlier in the thread about why giving unconditional advantage is not a good thing as a racial skill
They did it with gnomes. In fact, the one they gave gnomes is fucking godlike.
>>
>>49126185
>Messing with the crunch of canonical spells can potentially be unbalanced, as a fair warning to you
I don't think it's so bad - they give us precedent for it. Look at Arcane Trickster and Mage Hand and warlock invocations, as points of reference.
>>
I remember back when /ysg/ was still a thing, the anon who made this said he was making more, and I think he posted a wip, but I forgot to check for a while and then the general died. Never saw a finished product.
>>
>>49126275
shit, meant to reply to >>49126185
>>
>>49126186
This is true, but just helps prove the point that giving unconditional advantage is not really a good thing.
>>
>>49126308
But I *like* the gnome feature O.o
>>
>>49126334
I like the gnome feature too. Gnomes are one of my favorite races to play in general, and it's nice to have advantage against being charmed. I still don't think that makes the feature good from a design perspective though, since it limits the DM's options for encounters.
>>
>>49126442
The game isn't "DM vs player" senpai. And not everyone is playing the same race. It is perfectly fine that some PCs are strong or otherwise competent at certain tasks my mane man. It feels pretty great as a player when your character's strengths actually *work* for them.
>>
File: anderson cooper.png (470KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
anderson cooper.png
470KB, 1000x750px
Would you play a campaign with him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2ZBVw4nTGs
>>
>>49126648
No, but I'd play in a campaign with the superior newsman, Bret Baier.
>>
Don't Druids make good infiltrators if they can turn into small animals?
>>
Just to test the waters on something... for a "Ratfolk" race, what would anons feel is more appropriate? Small size, or Medium size? Pathfinder's Ratfolk are Small-sized, but the Nezumi, from 3rd edition's Oriental Adventures and the official Rokugan/Legend of the 5 Rings D20 campaign setting, are Medium-sized despite being ratfolk.

I'm just not sure which is better... maybe go for a subrace approach, with one being Small and the other Medium?
>>
>>49126837
Yes. Very good ones.
Nobody suspects (or generally even sees) a teeny tiner spider, flea, or gnat.
>>
>>49118570
How about 2 loving parents who didn't rape anyone?
>>
>>49126837
>>49126853
On that note, is it possible to do the same while under Polymorph? I know it affects your mental stats, but does it affect them to such a degree that you cannot accurately recall what you saw in animal form?
>>
>>49126837
My favorite strategy when outdoors in a wooded area is to cast Call Lightning and then turn into a mouse or hummingbird. The DM can of course call bullshit and have his bad guys be superhuman hunters that can see you from a hundred feet away and somehow come to the conclusion that you are calling down bolts of lightning on them, but usually it works nicely.
>>
so why is 5e guides all written by little people who are too scared to say that anything is bad, even champions and rangers and shit and piss?

are 5edition players just carebears when 3 and 4 players would be honest about the guides?
>>
Anons? I was curious; we probably all know that Pathfinder is full of all kinds of new classes, from obvious "hybrids" like the Arcanist (sorcerer/wizard) to more esoteric stuff like the Oracle and Witch. I was curious; even though 5e has yet to add any new classes other than the budding mystic, do you think that there's actually room in 5e for whole new classes?

I mean, between PF's Oracle and 4e's Invoker, I'd love some sort of "divine spontaneous caster" class, but is there really room for something like that in 5e?
>>
Is there anyway to negotiate with mounts early game? Even just a Hippogyph or Griffin?
>>
>>49127438
>"divine spontaneous caster"
Play a cleric, choose the same spell list every day.
>>
>>49127059
Because even the worst (looking at you beat ranger and avatar monk) are still very playable.
They did a fairly decent job this time around attempting to make everything decently functional.
>>
>>49126492
Just because it isn't "DM vs Player" doesn't mean it's good to limit your options and make the game more dull.
It's pretty clear going from most of the other races that giving proficiency is the standard.
>>
>>49127438
What about Favoured Soul Sorcerer?
>>
>>49127467
Handle Animal?
>>
>>49127623
It technically works, but only gets a handful of Clerical spells and is, frankly, a mess, with the big focus of its class features on armor and weapon proficiency despite retaining that squishy D6 hit dice.

Also, according to Mike Mearls, we won't be getting Gnolls as a PC race in Volo's Guide, despite the fact that we had gnoll PCs as an option even back in 4e, where they shared the same "created by a demon prince" back story. Fuck.

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/771403217632579584

...I don't suppose anons would be cool with critiquing a homebrew gnoll I've been sitting on? Should be easier to balance than the Naga was. I never did get any feedback on this post...

>>49123407
>>
Is there a decent golemancer brew for 5e? Couldn't find any in the pastebins.
>>
>>49127730
Unfortunately, minion-mancy type casters aren't really supported, especially not the "build-your-own mooks in your off time" type like 3e's artificer or Craft Construct feated characters. So, no, there's no golemancers.

Unless you meant to ask about geomancers, but again, not really. I got a homebrew earth elementalist wizard tradition, though, if that's the case.
>>
>>49128350
That kinda sucks. I wanted some sort of pet master class, beast master kinda blows.
>>
We can but hope that they give us better options for minion-masters in the future. It's something that they could try to balance for a hypothetical "PHB 2", after all - hell, Pathfinder pulled off the Summoner, surely 5e could pull off a decent pet master, right?
>>
File: 48652448_p0.jpg (2MB, 1400x1980px) Image search: [Google]
48652448_p0.jpg
2MB, 1400x1980px
>>49128350
>Unfortunately, minion-mancy type casters aren't really supported

Bullshit. Necromancer wizards exist and they are OP as fuck.
>>
File: boo.gif (24KB, 274x200px) Image search: [Google]
boo.gif
24KB, 274x200px
Point Buy or 4d6 for stats for bunch of newbies, which may become a regular thing if they all like it
I'm asking since i've only GM'ed a couple of one shots at Uni and now irl mates are giving it a go
>>
File: image.jpg (85KB, 644x864px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85KB, 644x864px
I'm DMing and filling in for a player ,Is it fair to get the letter of introduction from the guild artisan background equipment list if I choose to just buy starting stuff? Should I pay for it or just get it for free?
If I can have it then the others should be able to do the same with the other background equivalent
>>
>>49129843
Point buy.
>>
>>49129843
Roll. Point buy is better for experienced players who have fair knowledge of the system and can decide whether they want to roll or not.

For newbies, rolling is better because it's more exciting and offers them no opportunity to min-max stats.
>>
>>49129995
>1 player rolls an 18
>others get none higher than 15
>first play experience is shit from the outset

Nah, point buy or standard array.
>>
>>49130051
>first play experience is shit from the outset
Do you know how I can tell you don't have experience with lots of groups?
>>
>>49129843
15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8
>>
>>49130082
>Being smug about playing with randos online
Do you know how I can tell that you have?

My implication was that scenario is a distinct possibility worth avoiding with a group of new players, especially since they are anon's IRL friends, and he himself openly admits to being relatively new to DMing.
>>
>>49130229
>Being smug about playing with randos online
Why is this your
>implication
m8?

If you are playing with people entirely new to D&D who are your friends they should not lose their shit at some guy who gets an 18 vs. their 15. Not does the 18. vs their 15 mean they will have a "shit experience from the outset" if you are any kind of decent GM and/or any kind of decent explainer of things in general. Even the notion of this is hilarious - do you just outright reject all games that have random generation of abilities without a non-random alternative?

It is only a distinct possibility if you have shit friends, are a shit GM or are just generally shit yourself.

Having experience GMing some one shots is honestly all he needs. Stats matter even LESS in a one shot than they do in a normal game.

Straight up if you genuinely think any of what you've just said is true you must be new as hell to TTRPGs, or have had a terrible experience with them so far.

I won't dispute Standard Array though, that's a fine alternative if you really think rolling is going to be traumatic for your group.
>>
>>49129983
>>49129995
>>49130122
I don't think i'll go with the array, it's kinda dull
I'll let them roll their stats, but if they're majorly unhappy about it i'll let them point buy after

It's only a game after all, which will likely last one session - who knows
>>
>>49130341
If it's just a one-off to introduce them to the game why even bother with chargen at all? Just ask them to pick a race and class and make the characters yourself ahead of time. If they like it and want to play a longer adventure/campaign then you can sit them down ans teach them how to make characters.
>>
>>49127594
Gnome. Elf. Half-elf. Dwarf. Halfling.
Given there are 9 base races, and five of them get "advantage vs x", I'm pretty sure it's pretty fuckin' standard m8.
>>
>>49131937
It might be noted that those are all advantage on saving throws against certain effects, not advantage on an offensive technique of the player's.
>>
File: 1449993165678.jpg (95KB, 599x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1449993165678.jpg
95KB, 599x1000px
If someone casts Magic Missile and sends all the darts at one target, who they currently have Hex on, do they take 1d6 for each dart?
>>
>>49131979
>offensive technique
No one has posed a race that confers advantage on any attack roll or grapple check here. "Advantage on saves and ability checks vs being knocked prone" falls definitively in the "(defensive) advantage vs certain effects".
>>
>>49132203
Magic missile is not an attack, it is a spell. Semantics aside, hex doesn't work with MM
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.