[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/srg/ - Shadowrun General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 32

File: CoucheTard.png (79KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CoucheTard.png
79KB, 1024x1024px
...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Oignon Routers
>>>Login: *********
>>>Enter Passcode: *********
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to NetQuebec...

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files: >>49095098
>CoucheTard_franchising_agreement_3_of_35.pdf
>milkbagorderform.frm
>shaved_sasquatches_gone_wild.3id

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: 0 (100% Positive)
* You have 15 old private messages
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running maple.BTL...
>regarder votre dos
>tirer tout droit
>conserver vos munitions
>jamais faire une affaire avec un dragon

CATco will never die edition
>>
File: Macs.png (74KB, 610x610px) Image search: [Google]
Macs.png
74KB, 610x610px
>>49125571
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck
>>
File: 1472793252457-708520782.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1472793252457-708520782.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>49125571
Nearly right omae
>>
File: 350px-Tutorial_Blink1.png (141KB, 350x226px) Image search: [Google]
350px-Tutorial_Blink1.png
141KB, 350x226px
One of my players would like to have a copy of Blink from Dishonored to use in our games, would you allow it in your table? Would you fluff it as an adept power or a spell?

For those that don't know what it does, it lets you teleport/move really really really fast in a ten metre sphere around you. You can't move through anything that blocks your path or to anywhere you can't see.
>>
>>49125640
Can't blame a trog for just punching it into Google Translate, now with service in Esperanto. Remember to go Google for all of your matrix needs™.
>>
>>49126096
Where did google go anyways ? Did it become some subsidiary of a megacorp ? Did it die ?
>>
File: KILL YOU.gif (428KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
KILL YOU.gif
428KB, 500x400px
>>49126154

Probably became an AI from amassing too much knowledge.
>>
>>49126154
Probably got absorbed, or never even came into its prime. It only ranks as a strong A corp, maybe weak AA corp, even now.
>>
>>49125724
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhh

The idea in principle is pretty cool, but it opens the door for a lot of "oh wait but what" stuff.

One of the core tenets of Shadowrun's magic is that messing with space and time is really, really hard - so allowing Blink style powers runs up against that hard-line. The moment you introduce it, you have to start considering two options.

1) This just works and let's not think about it
2) This works, and let's think about

If you go with number 2, riddle me this - if an adept can blink through some magical mechanism, why don't I have a gun that teleports bullets directly into people? Instaneous large scale Blink-ports replacing airports? Ritual magic is a thing, so what's preventing me from teleporting into places if I can find a spotter for me?Teleporting grenades? Etc etc etc.

It's not that the idea of some adept zipping all over the place isn't perfectly in keeping with their adept-ness but at the same time it's the kind of world where, if it exists, someone somewhere has weaponized it and teleporting opens up a lot of worms.

But hey, your game, your rules. Model it like "Distance = 2x Magic + agility+gymnasstic hits in meters, complex action to perform" and you've got a semi interesting power.
>>
>>49126154
It likely never began to exist in the first place.
>>
>>49126199

Speaking of this kind of stuff

Honestly I'm surprised I've never seen a Starbucks reference once in Shadowrun, though I've not read much of the newer stuff.
>>
>>49126223
The core fluff is kinda old already.
>>
>>49126208
I was visioning Blink being more like a souped up-short range version of the Movement.

Maybe have the PC roll Magic + Gymnastics with the PC's Magic rating or Astral Limit as it's limit? Or just have it as a normal spell instead?
>>
>>49126223
There's Soybucks in some of the 5e material.
>>
I've been plotting out a wetwork run for my group, the target being a vampire in the barrens. I'd like to give my players more options than just kick in the door and shoot the guy, but I'm not sure what things I can do to provide the hints that they'll need.
>>
I remember reading an old bit about treatment of mages in your average prison. Since awakened are a bit hard to safely "disarm" and being gagged, bound, and stuffed in a mage hood 24/7 is considered "inhumane" one example given to make mages easily to deal with was surgically installing datajacks in them and then hooking them up to a simsense program that'd run constantly and that, combined with sedatives and/or other drops makes it so the mage can't mentally focus on spell casting.

Was thinking of using this as part of a character concept (mage with a datajack and maybe some other light cyberware, no more than 1 essence's worth though). I'm curious as to what kind of simsense programs they'd use and just how intense they'd be. Would they be relatively mundane and low power stuff, or borderline BTLs?

What are some other "humane" methods of controlling Awakened prisoners?
>>
>>49126223
I've only read 4e stuff, but Seattle 2072 has a fairly big entry for StarKaf.

That reminds me I wanted to throw a Mr. Johnson working for StarKaf at my players with a job offer at some point in my game. What kind of shady jobs do you think a cyberpunk Starbucks would be involved in? Stealing Aztechnology soykaf recipes from a secure coffee think tank office?
>>
>>49126969
Short answer: spike it with novacoke
>>
>>49126406
>the vampire is rarely home, spending most of the time out prowling bars, dingy nightclubs, and parties
>the vampire is a sick street biker, and has an alarm system at his home that, when triggered, activates the pilot system on his motorcycle for him to hop on and launch into the nearest ally, que high action street chase scene
>the players kick in the vampire's door, but his home is filled with edgy goth teenagers with fang implants, making it hard to tell which one is the real vampire
>>
>>49125724
There is no teleportation magic in the Sixth World.

None.

So no.
>>
>>49126969
Hi, I'm Mr. Cappuchino. I need you to

>Attack this colombian gang and destroy their drug shipments... we need the fields to grow coffee beans
>Put on this ganger-gear and go rough up the Jackson and the Juice down town, because I want all those nice hipsters eating in my cafe not theirs
>I've got a special delivery you need to make. It's six cups of Venti Grande Late, and it has to be delivered to this address inside the Ares Compound
>I need you to smuggle these beans through customs to our Denver branch, so that they can make a special cup of coffee. Don't let Horizon stop you, or they'll use our beans in their competitor brand
>I need you to drive traffic to us by disrupting the other brand; mess with their musc and do something awful to their coffee
>You gotta break into the CopaCepticCoffee bar down town and mess up their machines. Be careful though, all their barristas are ex-special forces.
>We're opening a new discount branch in the Barrens. I want you guys to man the register for the first month and deal with the worst of the gangs. Are you bad enough dudes to open a cyberpunk coffee franchise?
>>
>>49126154
Wiped out in the first Crash.

It was one of the hardest hit companies, the area where it was headquartered makes the old Redmond tech zone look like good by comparison.
>>
>>49127281
Except it's not actual teleportation, people can still see you as you move and you still have a physical presence.
>>
>>49127345
Except it is, given that the very picture you posted is an example of a sort of teleportation needed to avoid falling into the void between those two points.
>>
>>49127403
The fluff says 'no space-time manipulation', the actual mechanics of the power are just really fast movement with some walking on air (which you can do in the in the game).
>>
>>49127403
It could be more like a really fast and short range leviation spell.
>>
>>49127298
>I've got a special delivery you need to make. It's six cups of Venti Grande Late, and it has to be delivered to this address inside the Ares Compound
This is the best advertising practice ever.
>>
>>49127281
There is now.

Lockdown, 56.
>>
>>49127606
Don't spill a single drop, get it there within 45 minutes, and don't let security catch on.
>>
>>49127886
I totally want one of Mr Cappuccino's venti grand latte like those cool Ares guys now.
>>
So for a mage can I just stick with contacts (imagelink, smartlink), ar gloves and earbuds for my walking around AR gear? It seems like trodes are easier to slip off/damage
>>
>>49127207
Not the guy in question but I love the last idea there.
>>
>>49127967
You can also have your trodes installed in a helmet. With the added bonus of wearing a helmet, making you go one notch down on the "this guy is waving his hand wierdly, geek him" list.
>>
>>49127967
Strictly speaking I believe contacts, or any other form of electronic vision gear placed in front of the eyes will not count as natural vision and prevent you from targeting spells or perceiving astrally.
>>
>>49128945
I've already read 10+ pages of debate on places like dumpshock about that. Its accepted that as long as its not electronically replacing the image (thermo vision, magnification etc) then it wont stop mages from perceiving and I'm going to ask the GM about that just to make sure.
>>
>>49125571
>Introduce NPC runner that the fixer brought along for a difficult run.
>He is in fact an agent of Johnson to make that the party acts professionally, because they have a bad rep of collateral damage.
How would your players react if they found out ?
>>
>>49129010
>collateral damage
>>
>>49128945
Astral Perception isn't vision, anyway. It's a nebulous sixth sense that's probably somewhere between seeing/tasting/touching/feeling with your aura, and can work even when you're wearing a 100% covering stealth suit or milspec armour.
>>
So it's just a kind of minor thought here, but I haven't been able to see its equivalent - though maybe I haven't looked hard enough - but is there a Shadowland BBS equivalent to the Jackpoint entry code?

By which I mean the thing we start every General with, the..

'...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Onion Routers
>>>Login: *********
>>>Enter Passcode: *********
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to SeattleNet... '

..bit. Is there a Shadowland equivalent to that, considering that the two systems run off of some fairly different structures and the like? Or is it just pretty much identical?
>>
>>49128968
you could just go with a monocle, as it would unambiguously leave you one eye with natural vision for targeting.
>>
>>49129030
Yeah but monocles are for faggots and people RPing universal soldier.
>>
>>49129010
If the Johnson had access to a more trustworthy runner, why would he hire you fucktards anyway ?
>>
>>49129053
Maybe hiring a prime runner and some low keys is cheaper than a full prime team.
>>
>>49129053
>>49129065
Especially if the low key personnel has a very particular set of skills. Skills they have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make them a nightmare for people like you, and you can't get from your pool of prime runners on short notice.
>>
>>49129088
>Hard boiled black trenchcoat experienced runner has to babysit a team of the pinkest mohawk newbies.
I want to play this now.
>>
Are there any particular bits of gear a TM needs besides the usual? (Gun, ID, clothes etc)

>inb4 noose to hang self with
>>
>>49129118
Get a deck abd AR gloves to pretend you areba hacker, else your team may sell you out to MCT
>>
So if you are an adept with astral perception, do you have any other options for fighting spirits than just going the magical unarmed route?
I want to make a gunslinger but potential spirit adversaries are still holding me back.
>>
>>49129133
Spirits cant harm you in the astral unless you are dual natured or astrally perceiving.
>>
>>49129154
That doesn't really seem like an option to me.
I don't want to shut down everything just because I saw a kettle fall on it's own.
>>
>>49129118
Assuming that you're not going to be doing unusual tricks with skillwires, hardwires, or dwarves with Exceptional Will and Cyber Singularity Seeker (purchased after creation), you may want to consider trying to save up for the two bits of brain boosting bioware, cyberears filled with 3 antennae, and/or a datajack

If you're in the situation where you can get all that and have it be under 1 Essence, good. If not, they're presented in the order of usefulness of what they give you.

(I.E. extra matrix stealth, initiative, and limits, 3 noise reduction, direct connection and one more noise reduction.)
>>
>>49129133
I mean, theoretically you can make your gun a weapon foci if you only intend to pistolwhip spirits with it, right?
>>
So making a sneaky infiltrator, should I get him the chameleon suit or the sleeping tiger? which makes me solid snake better?
>>
Say you've got a team with loose morals willing to work to squeeze every Nuyen possible out of a job. What uses are there for captured people, both alive and dead, SINless and wage-slave, bystanders and security? What sort of people can you sell them to and what are the repercussions or dangers to look out for?
>>
>reading Anarchy prototype
I never asked for this.
>>
>>49129531
>chameleon suit or the sleeping tiger
>Sleeping tiger
wasn't the ST a suit for Faces?
I mean you can be a social infiltrator, but that doesn't really fit Solid snake
>>
>>49129701

Well the ST seems to have the same polymer stuff as the chameleon suit and offers the same sneaking potential if I'm reading it right.
>>
>>49129719
I want you to imagine Solid Snake in a Zoot Suit.

That is what sneaking in the Sleeping Tiger is like.
>>
>>49129738

So Chameleon suit it is then. They really need to add more pictures...
>>
>>49129746
>>49129746
The anon is exaggerating. The Sleeping Tiger is hideous to us today, but in the sixth world its not /as/ ugly. But its off limits to non-trolls and orks, otherwise you look like a complete ork poser.
>>
>>49129765
I think the point was that it may be good as a Face suit
But for sneaking like Solid Naga it's totally out
>>
>>49129635
I figured, for chromed corpses, there must be people who specialize in removing cyberware for resale, although it might be that corporate cyberware is too hot to handle (too easy to identify? Locked up with corporate passcodes?). As for the rest, if they're fresh and intact there might be an organ harvesting market, after that maybe some kind of corpse starch food processing? Seems like there might be some kind of undead as an option but I don't know what the deal is on the magic/spirits side of things.

For the living, the average wageslave with a SIN is probably more trouble than they're worth, so one of the above options for a corpse is probably easier. Maybe some kind of criminal SIN organization could use them alive to help steal their identity? Any SIN-haver with actual skills like a scientist could maybe be sold to another Corp.

The regular SINless nobodies though probably aren't worth much. Maybe the hot ones you can sell to some kind of organized crime bordello, or the strong ones to some kind of underground fighting ring, but if people wanted regular nobodies there's tons of them already on the streets just for the asking.
>>
Shadowrun is a hard setting to write for, there's just so much background and slang to get a handle on and if you're playing with an experienced group or posting online then any mistakes get picked apart. The wiki's really helpful but are there any other resources for getting informed apart from reading all the books?
>>
>>49129866
You're lookin' at it, chummer. Or at least one of the resources.

If you don't want to read the books, or study up the wiki, the only other alternative is to immerse yourself in the communities.
>>
>>49129635
>>49129833
We actually had a pretty good discussion about this going last thread.
You can easily find chop-shops, that will take corpses with uncultivated bioware and most cyberware of your hands, and even pay you according to what can be salvaged.
Making profit off another chromed-combat monster, may even be tolerated by your circles.

Regular organ-trade on the other hand, is kinda one of the lowliest industries, you can take part in. Especially since you will have to compete/do business with the kind of people doing this stuff.
Meaning the really scary crime cartells and ghouls.
Also, just dragging random security guards or passersby into a van to cut up for kidney's will not be looked upon kindly, and certainly be a hit to your reputation.
Regular organ trade i
>>
>>49129883
How good are the Harebrained Scheme games for learning the setting? It seems they all take place at a particular time in the setting and I think the latest game edition is significantly past it or something like that.
>>
>>49129916

The Returns games are set in the 50s, a lot has changed then but some things have stayed the same.

They're good for a general tone and feel, but its pre wireless matrix.
>>
>>49129912
What are some of these "reputation hit" activities, and what sort of consequences are there for doing them? Would you actually lose out on jobs if people think you're "dirty" in some way? And would people come after you just for being unscrupulous even if there's no money in it?
How bad is selling people to be turned into bunraku? Is dealing in bunraku seen as below the Runner community or is it a normalized thing?
>>
>>49129916
About as good as playing a single campaign is. It's isolated to its own little world, just like any Runner's existence might be. You'll see some shit, meet some people, but if you're wanting 'the fully informed' experience, you better be willing to read up.
>>
>>49129635
Tamanous is always an option if you have living and dead people and loose enough morals to not care what they're about to go through! They also remove cyberware. The bonus is that none of the bodies will ever be seen again, as they will be eaten 100% of the time.
>>
>>49129943
People looking for trustworthy and less monstrous runners for an assignment will probably look your group over. On the plus side, if someone wants to just hire some people to commit terrorism or mass-murder you might make their list.(You're hopefully more capable than terrorists or gangers)
>>
>>49129943
>How bad is selling people to be turned into bunraku? Is dealing in bunraku seen as below the Runner community or is it a normalized thing?
far as I know bunraku parlors are all above-board with the shadowrunning community, and plenty of shadowrunners visit them regularly and talk about them openly online or in other runner hangouts. the parlors need to stay stocked up somehow and the runners need entertainment so the money flows in both directions
>>
anyone worked with the shadowrun returns editors?

I have all three games but each one's packaged with their own editor and it looks like maybe there's different content packs for each game, is there an easy way to make sure my mod'll work for everyone?
>>
>>49130195
What do you mean "stay stocked up"? Because that sounds a lot darker than what Shadowrun normally handles...
>>
File: Watermelon Crush Thighs.webm (262KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
Watermelon Crush Thighs.webm
262KB, 480x480px
>>49125571
>>shaved_sasquatches_gone_wild.3id
I love quebec girls.
>>
>>49130329
>What do you mean "stay stocked up"? Because that sounds a lot darker than what Shadowrun normally handles...
with fucking drink coasters, what do you think? women, man. picking off girls to fill the racks is like a standard low-level run, and kidnapping some middle-manager's subway crush or a wealthy fan's favorite singer is classic story material and usually good/easy money
I mean I guess if you're squeamish you could just pick up some more chips, they need BTLs and data filters, but if you're playing with someone who just refuses to deal with bunraku and specifically makes anti-bunraku characters they're probably a sjw.
>>
File: Alcatraz.jpg (12KB, 236x177px) Image search: [Google]
Alcatraz.jpg
12KB, 236x177px
>>49126433
BTL-strength.

There's also building a prison on a mana void like Alcatraz, keeping the mages there without magic as they slowly go insane from the void.

fuck your humane treatment
>>
>>49127714
If you believe a guy named Dr Dyna Might, I've got a bridge to sell you.
>>
>>49125571
Wonder how theoretical future fossil fuel crashes would affect Couche-Tards and other gas stations/convenience stores.

Maybe they just sell cyber-slushies now.
>>
File: 1460058500581.jpg (295KB, 471x800px) Image search: [Google]
1460058500581.jpg
295KB, 471x800px
>>49129133
With enough bullets, everything dies.
>>
>>49126433
>Be warden of mage prison
>Hot female mage prisoner
>Need to chip her 24/7 so she can't concentrate enough to cast
>Make a BTL of her riding my cock on a short, tight continuous loop
>Every day I see her stumbling and slurring about the yard, barely able to keep from drooling or feed herself while in a permanent state of being mentally violated by my cock
>No one cares if she'll ever be released

God I love the unregulated, privately-run corporate dystopia
>>
>>49130400
>probably a sjw.

The only time Bunraku showed up in the Shadowrun Returns games was once as the private project of a Dr. Frankenstein villain and the player's encouraged to take pity on them, are you suggesting that Jordan Weisman is a SJW?
>>
>>49130400
i've literally never heard of anyone doing any of those 'classic runs' man

it's okay if you got a weird shadowrun fetish you can admit it
>>
>>49130519
>The only time Bunraku showed up in the Shadowrun Returns games was once as the private project of a Dr. Frankenstein villain and the player's encouraged to take pity on them, are you suggesting that Jordan Weisman is a SJW?
lets get real, they can't put that stuff in a high-profile video game that probably a lot of real sjws put money into to back, things aren't like they were in the 80s anymore. just having a couple bunraku in the game at all was a nod to a classic part of the setting but go any further and the ESRB would jump down their throats. besides the main quest hub was a brothel not like they separated shadowrunning and sex completely.
>>
>>49130400
>those evil sjws, thinking slavery is wrong
>>
>>49130629
So what you're saying is in this case, SJW doesn't mean "anyone to the left of me politically" but instead means "anyone who thinks slavery is wrong?"
>>
>>49130629
>things aren't like they were in the 80s anymore

In most tabletop RPG areas, sure they are. Pretty sure running a Bunraku business was just as much of a sociopath thing to do in the 80's as it is today.

Tabletop just gives you the freedom to be an utter and complete fucking scumbag - it doesn't mean that your activities AREN'T that of a scumbag, however.
>>
>>49130400
Closest my group came to any of that was the time we knocked over a Stuffer Shack and decided to grab the mouthy teenager working behind the counter for giving us shit the whole time. She wasn't like next-level hot or anything but the parlors apparently pay extra for young and fresh. I wouldn't call it a regular thing or anything though, just like a good option you can have in your back pocket to hang over people causing you trouble.
>>
>>49130552
>>49130694
>>49130710
oh COME ON, so killing random rent-a-cops just trying to feed their families so you can rob a corp is on the level but grabbing one alive and reselling them is supposed to be so much worse? once you install the data filter and BTL they're basically "dead" anyway, it's no different than all that chop-shop cyberware harvesting people were talking about earlier - they're out of the game but their body's still worth some money to somebody. they don't even suffer they just stop existing. this is a double standard.
>>
>>49130782
at least in the 80s you could embrace that stuff in your setting and play a grey hat character without causing some kind of PR meltdown, now companies are afraid to even hint at the bad stuff like racism or slavery in their games because the sjws seem to think just having it in the game is the same as endorsing it in real life.
and if you REALLY can't stand bunrakus I guess you must be against like 99% of prostitution in shadowrun because they're even worse, since they're run by organized crime and the women still have their minds so they feel the pain. and the majority of the people runners work for are people who go to those prostitutes and bunraku, so you're fine taking their money to kill people so they can make more money and use it to pay for more bunraku but not actually getting involved personally.
this is like those people who love meat but just can't hunt because they can't pull the trigger.
>>
File: Can't Tell.jpg (95KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
Can't Tell.jpg
95KB, 480x480px
>>49130867
It's not on the level. The books specifically call out wanton murder of low-level security, as well as selling people to Tamanous for parts, as shitty things to do. Heck, even doing wetwork (that is, deliberately killing a single target) is looked down on in the fluff, and is mechanically penalized (you get less karma, literally getting less cosmic goodjuice because you did bad things).

So yeah, anon; kidnapping people, forcing highly invasive brain surgery on them, and then selling them as puppets for whatever sexual deviancy someone wants is a bad thing.
>>
>>49130924
Well yes, human trafficking is a bad thing even if you don't put a chip in someone's head.
>you're employed by terrible people most likely
Whatever happened to hooding?
>>
>>49131023
>Whatever happened to hooding?
Hooding is for SJWs, I guess. I mean, god forbid you'd want to make the world a little less shit for everyone, right? If you're not playing the game as a criminal shitlord, ready and willing to pimp and mindfuck everyone who turns on you, you must not be playing it "right," or you're pandering to some kind of pussyfooting crowd. It's not like the game is designed to let you play however you like, after all. Hell, last I recall, as early as SR1, the Ares Squirt pistol was specifically put in the game because, as per the Shadowland BBS commentary, "corp security kind of appreciates you not trying to fucking kill them."
>>
Are there any popular memes in the Shadowrun world?
>>
>>49131346
Nerps.
>>
File: Neo-Anarchist Podcast.jpg (41KB, 395x386px) Image search: [Google]
Neo-Anarchist Podcast.jpg
41KB, 395x386px
>>49131023
>>49131299
The Neo-Anarchist Podcast has a good episode about the Second Crash and the death of Captain Chaos which indirectly touches on that. The host is obviously an early-edition diehard currently GMing the Hiddengrid liveplays, set in the 2050s, and the chick who is all about money and didn't give a shit when her 'girlfriend' died sticks out like a sore thumb, and he used the episode to talk about the general shift in tone in the Sixth World as editions changed.

It used to be that shadowrunners were people who were on the edges of society and were dealing with that. You had neo-anarchists, anti-corporates, eco-terrorists, tribal boosters, Underground sympathizers- not nice people, per se, but people who were trying to build something. The shadow community was just that. Now it's a lot colder. Everyone is a professional criminal with a very loose sense of ethics, doing just about anything for just about anyone.
>>
>>49131414
Guess that explains why I feel way more comfortable in the 2050's.
>>
>>49130810
should've called it a stuff HER shack!
>>
>>49131006
still in the game though. they weren't forced to put Tamanous in, they did it to keep the whole shadowrunning experience real instead of the sanitized pr-friendly version the millennials all seem to want. I think this is more American puritanism where violence is okay but sex is taboo so a game that commodifies both is just too much for most people.
again they put these things in so players could make use of them, not to act like a bunch of paladins rooting out a goblin dungeon. everyone likes to talk up shadowrun as having no bad guys or black and white and everyone's just different shades of grey but get sex just a little incidentally involved and people lose their shit.
>>
>>49131414
Which episode?
>>
File: Cap'n.jpg (7KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
Cap'n.jpg
7KB, 150x150px
>>49132030
34b: 2064b: Crash 2.0. All is lost.
>>
>>49129669
Got a PDF to share with the class?
>>
>>49132010
>violence is okay
I dunno. It often kinda feels like they're cracking down on that too these days. Hell, look at all the PG-13 versions of old classics like Robocop and Total Recall, and consider the stark drop in violence there. Especially Robocop. Rebootcop's version of Detroit looks like a really nice place to live compared to the original (which ironically looks like current-day Detroit, so let that sink in a bit too).

The message has been sanitized in both those movies too. They've all been cleaned up, all those second-guesses and questions about authority, and encouragements towards individualism and rebelling against totalitarian governments have been either grossly downsized, or cleaned up with an alcohol wipe to get all that nasty 'dirty possible truth' out of the movies. Robocop's cutting imagery of the media and the news serving you bullshit with a smile was replaced by a shitty Bill O'Reilly parody of an agenda-pusher.

It's not just the sex, it's all of it. All of the stuff that made dystopian cyberpunk futures interesting, the social commentary and the questioning of those in control, it's all been pushed down, out and to the side. The fact that we got Shadowrun Returns in as good a condition as we did is really saying something, all things considered.
>>
>>49130867
Yes. Because the whole BTL thing has been implied to make them suffer. A lot.

There is a reason the Bunraku sellsmen in the Shadowrun Returns videogame is portrayed as a uniquely horrifying and vile person in a game that already has bug shamans.
Cause it's like cyberzombies, there is just enough left of them to want to die, just not enough to scream.
>>
>>49126208
You can solve that by making it a unique power, and making the reason they are special awful. Like simply having fucked up a spell so badly you can temporarily cease to exist and claw back up for sweat existential air, and each time you blink there is a chance you simply... don't come back up.
>>
>>49126969
You see that douchebag? Every day he orders the fuckin birthdaycake soymal frappechino and yells at me when i tell him that doesn't fuckin exist.

Kill him.
>>
So the satellite link limits distance noise to -5.

RAI, they probably meant to make it such that your noise due to distance is always at -5. I mean, you're bouncing a signal into the sky and back.

RAW, couldn't you stack noise reduction to the point where you'd have zero noise all across the globe?
>>
>>49132713
Pretty much this. Death is usually a lot more merciful than slavery - particularly Bunraku-style slavery. 'Oh, let me just give you cosmetic surgery to make you into the ideal lovedoll for my clients, while you are trapped inside of your own mind, buried beneath SimSense code enough so that you can't even scream internally as your very being is being raped and violated. Hm? Oh, how about that, turns out my client has a thing for girls with chrome - you won't be needing those limbs anyway.'

Naw, I can TOTALLY see how that's morally superior to just putting a fucking bullet in their head.
>>
File: 1461136673260.jpg (359KB, 678x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1461136673260.jpg
359KB, 678x1080px
>>49133022
Yes. You can make a vandecker in 5e, it just takes some determination.
>>
>>49132010
>they weren't forced to put Tamanous in,
Sure, and they weren't forced to put bug spirits in either. Guess what the two have in common?
>>49132600
To be fair, part of the reason robocop is less violent is cuz it's PG-13. The original was rated R.
>>
>>49133143
I'd chalk the PG-13 up to being a result of the sanitization.
>>
>>49133161
Nope. PG-13 is the goal not the end. R rated movies are harder to sell since it limits the audience for your movie. Plus how are supposed to sell toys if those baby shits don't see your movie? PG-13 is a bigger pull so blame people going for big money over artistic purity rather than some kind of "censorship"
>>
>>49133161
No, the sanitization was cuz they needed to make it pg-13 to succeed in today's market.It's not an ideological thing or anything, it's just market forces punishing blockbuster movies that you can't take kids to.
>>
>>49133250

Right. And Deadpool is just an outlier. Wake up.
>>
>>49133944
Deadpool was considered a huge gamble and the fact it payed out wasn't actually expected.

We'll likely see more r movies NOW.
>>
>>49134058
>Deadpool was a huge gamble
I dunno, man. I'm pretty sure that between all the success of stuff on HBO, AMC, other R-rated movies, the video game generation and more comics kids being 20+, and a lot of cultural shit about the acceptance of violence and more hardcore things that it wasn't really a risk. It seemed pretty assuredly to go well, and it did.
>>
>>49134058
I'd like to see more R movies that were original content, if that's to be the case. No more fucking reboots. It's not THAT hard to come up with a cyberpunk/dystopia plot - the only obstacle is getting it past the leftist-dominated Hollywood circuits. Social commentary these days would come in a form that definitely would hit 'too close to home' for a lot of news and media outlets, in a way that they obviously don't like to admit to. Hell, that's partly why I imagine they changed the way the news was presented in Rebootcop - 'smiling as they serve you lies' is pretty much the standard for places like CNN and other news networks like them.
>>
How do the NANs have functional economies? It doesn't seem like they have any industry to speak of, nor do I imagine they'd be willing to exploit any mineral resources they have because >muh sacred land.
Is there some reason that I'm missing that they all haven't gone completely bankrupt, aside from the fact that they're needed to arbitrarily Balkanize the United States?
>>
Corporate-shadowrun guy here, didn't actually see the repleis from yesterday.

If I'm going to be running 5e, and I'm mainly used to 4e, what are the major changes I'm going to need to be aware of?

What are some of the houserules that are really highly recommended?

If the game is meant for the players to be somewhat stronger than a normal SWAT team, but not quite GITS Section 9 level, what chargen would best represent that?

One of my players is interested in doing a support type role, and is interested in performing a medic role. They're floated the idea of being a support mage/medic. Another player is interested in doing a Technomancer. Is there anything I should be aware of for either of these? I've heard a lot of bad shit about Technocs, so is there anything I can do to help make then less dogshit, if that's actually true?
>>
>>49134622
PROUD
STRONG
BROWN
DINDUS
>>
>>49134688
>>What are some of the houserules that are really highly recommended?
Remove limits and wifi bonuses.
>>
>>49133944
Yes, it was an outlier. In case the lack of r-rated blockbusters didn't clue you in.
>>49134244
>original content in modern hollywood
Yeah, that's totally going to happen
>the left hates dystopias
You do realize that both robocop and the sprawl trilogy boiled down to "Reagan ruined everything for everyone instead of some things for most people," right? Like, did the news segment where Reagan's space laser misfired and blew up Reagan not clue you in to Robocop's politics?
>>49134622
Yeah, they were needed for the balkanization.
>>
>>49134728
As in remove the bonuses, or remove the need for wifi?
>>
>>49134142
>other r rated movies
Sure, but none with that kind of budget or that kind of IP.
>>49134688
>What are some of the houserules that are really highly recommended?
Don't remove limits, despite recommendations. They're literally the only reason gear matters to deckers, and in most other cases they merely serve to stop min-maxing.
>support mage
So long as they pick up heal and stabilize, they should be good
>Technomancer
They should never hack things, and should instead have their sprites do all the hacking for them.
>>
>>49134707
I'm serious though. There's no reason they should be functional states, or at very least, no reason the CAS and UCAS haven't memed them into oblivion.
>>49134749
Well I knew that they were used as a means to an end, but it seems laughably implausible that they've managed to survive, what, fifty or sixty years.
>>
>>49134789
The second one. Not sure why you'd bother, as all you have to do is buy a decent comlink and all your stuff will be secure.
>>
>>49134789
The latter.
>>
>>49134816
the shadowrun writers didn't think this through and if modern writers removed the NANs then people would complain.
Also, several of them didn't survive that long. IIRC there was one that went bankrupt and was devoured by the PCC.
>UCAS and CAS
the CAS is too busy worrying about Azzie expansion to do any expansion of its own, and iirc the UCAS is waiting for the azzies to take over the CAS and NANs, at which point it can "liberate" them.
>>
>>49134749
>You do realize that both robocop and the sprawl trilogy boiled down to "Reagan ruined everything for everyone instead of some things for most people," right? Like, did the news segment where Reagan's space laser misfired and blew up Reagan not clue you in to Robocop's politics?
You do realize time is a linear concept, and that the left of the 80's is not the same as the left of today, right?
>>
>>49134816
The whole native nations stuff is the hardest part of the Shadowrun setting for me to absorb. Like the biggest place to set campaigns in the setting is Seattle and it's surrounded by native nations but I know next to nothing about them or how they operate. Are they cyberpunk? Are there a shit-zillion native Americans in Shadowrun when there's a relative handful in the real world? Do they have things like normal cities and postal services and guys who take public transit to their office job at a computer except their cubicle is made of wood and the train is full of dreamcatchers?

The best I can understand it is the native lands are just closed off "here there be dragons" territory meant to enable that balkanization that fucks up America's superpower status but it isn't a place to actually set games. Their military strength or political relevance is only important in that they're keeping America-Canada from reforming but how they actually do that should be so far above the players' paygrade that it should never come up.

I actually live in Vancouver and in Shadowrun apparently we're native territory and I just have no idea what that would look like even in pure fantasy.
>>
>>49134867
>Also, several of them didn't survive that long. IIRC there was one that went bankrupt and was devoured by the PCC.
Yeah the Ute nation, but that's literally the only one that's gone down the tubes.

>the CAS is too busy worrying about Azzie expansion to do any expansion of its own, and iirc the UCAS is waiting for the azzies to take over the CAS and NANs, at which point it can "liberate" them.
I never got that vibe, although maybe the status quo has been significantly altered in 5e, last I checked Aztlan was too bogged down in the quagmire of Amazonia to launch any kind of effective offensive.
If anything the fluff always read something along the lines of the CAS/UCAS/Aztlan don't annex the NANs "because reasons."
>>
>>49134934
Yes, but that doesn't stop what you think the left of today is from being anything other than a bogeyman that lives inside your head.
>>49134954
There's some old sourcebooks on the NANs, I'd suggest grabbing those.
>>
File: Boss.png (114KB, 212x278px) Image search: [Google]
Boss.png
114KB, 212x278px
Could you make a single-player campaign out of being a Johnson for a mega-corporation who's in charge of all their "off the record" freelance operations? Has someone done that before, and what would it look like?
>>
>>49134934
Also, I'm not American, so correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Reagan a Republican? As I understand it, the left hates all Republicans, and will swear to high heaven and low hell that any Democrat is a saint, which would also account for why a dystopia with commentary on today's politics would not work, because that would require commenting on the shitty misconduct of Obama and the Clintons, which is a big no-no.
>>
>>49134954
>reforming but how they actually do that should be so far above the players' paygrade that it should never come up.

In an game I'm planning to run this could actually be somewhat indirectly relevant.

>>49134990
What edition?
>>
>>49134954
I wish there were enough native Americans and that enough of them were gamers to hear what some of them think of Shadowrun and the role natives play in that setting. Were any actually consulted in the writing of the setting?
>>
>>49135028
Some democrats dislike Carter and Clinton. IIRC though the new robocop movie tried to slip in a drones are bad message, so that's kind of in a stab at Obama.
>>
>>49135028
IIRC the democrats and the liberals are not the same. The Republicans are more for "Everyone for themselves. Let the strong rule the weak." while the Democrats are "Let the State control the corps. Let the state support the people."
>>
>>49135047
Doubtfully, and most of them would probably raise a stink about it if they were of the hardcore Native American variety. The Native American community has a pretty ardent 'nothing about us without us' policy that's been getting pushed a lot harder these days (see: the shitstorm J.K. Rowling got herself into writing about stuff that so much as referred to Native Americans; plus Colin McComb's own RPG setting that featured 'totally not Native Americans' that got a similar response from them).
>>
>>49134979
>Amazonia
they won that war, iirc. Now they're free to turn their eye northward cuz it's not like expanding south is an option.
>Azzies
I think they have stolen a bunch of land from the PCC, although they haven't full on annexed them.
>>49135040
>What edition?
First I think
>>49135047
Don't think so, no.
>>
>>49134954
>I actually live in Vancouver and in Shadowrun apparently we're native territory and I just have no idea what that would look like even in pure fantasy.
More Haida influence, less filipinos, less Indians, traffic still sucks, translink a shit. Everybody knows somebody who works for UO.

At least you're not in Richmond. We sank into the ocean.
>>
>>49135085
I always took the drone message to be more just a reference to military in general, given the Bill O'Reilly caricature involved - the whole 'WAR GOOD WHY YOU HATIN ON WAR?' thing seemed more like it was trying to stab at the Bush Administration. But that's just how it looked to me. Admittedly, the drone warfare thing seems like the ONLY thing Obama's ever been called out on.

>>49135094
These days it's sounding more like 'let the state control the people as well' from an outsider's perspective.
>>
>>49135112
>they won that war, iirc. Now they're free to turn their eye northward cuz it's not like expanding south is an option.
>I think they have stolen a bunch of land from the PCC, although they haven't full on annexed them.
When the fuck did this happen? I haven't been keeping up with the lore since 5e launched, but I seem to recall circa Stormfront they were still getting memed on by the Amazonians becuase Aztlan cannot into counter-insurgency,
>>
>>49135165
>'let the state control the people as well'
Well yeah
Republicans are the freedom option ("Anarchy")
Liberals are the control option ("Totalitarianism")
Green Party are the joke option ("Memes")
>>
>>49135252
>Republicans are the freedom option ("Anarchy")
>confusing Republicans with libertarians
>>
>>49135109
My favorite was Urban Outfitters coming out with a "Navajo" clothing line styled after traditional Navajo fashion, only to discover that the Navajo actually still exist and were kind of pissed that they were being treated as an extinct fashion oddity.
>>
>>49135252
You guys really need to drop that whole 'two party' system thing. It's honestly ridiculous to expect.. how many people live in the US now? Billion? Couple billion? ..expecting that many people to come down to deciding between two groups is just begging for civil war at some point.
>>
>>49135047
I'd be fucking surprised if a Native had ever even PLAYED Shadowrun. I'd be surprised if one had even heard of it. There's like less than a million of them across America and Canada and they're probably the least-gaming ethnicity on the continent.
>>
>>49135304
Haha, oh man, you should read 'The Inconvenient Indian' by Thomas King. That's a great one - basically TK is a Native American, and the book is pretty much him talking casually about the cultural history and identity of the Natives in relation to how shit went down, and how it is today. Dude doesn't pull any punches - on any side, for that matter. He freely admits 'yeah, we can be dicks too, and we can be really unreasonable'. His remarks on the fact that Natives killed a shitload of settlers comes down to 'oh yeah, we killed a lot - it's just that the white man was a whole lot better at killing a lot of people than we were, so them's the breaks.'

Astoundingly refreshing take on the Native American state of affairs.
>>
>>49135312
>You guys really need to drop that whole 'two party' system thing
>implying the need for party coalitions and shit required by voting systems that aren't first past the post aren't objectively worse
>how many people live in the US now? Billion? Couple billion?
You've gotta be shitposting.
>>
>>49135028
>the left hates the right
wow, real shocker
>>49135131
Let's play whose home got fucked more! I live in boston. Shitty metaplot that got dropped and will never be picked back up ahoy!
>>49135165
"the state is overly controlling" is the standard complaint drummed up whenever any new regulation is made. They used to say the same about making you wear a seatbelt while driving.
>>49135252
>Republicans are the freedom option
Yeah, just look at all that freedom we got under Bush.
>>49135295
Libertarians who realize the Libertarian party is a joke do tend to vote republican, to be fair.
>>49135173
>When the fuck did this happen?
Fairly recently. Apparently the only person in the amazonian government who really cared about the war was Sirrug and now that he's in dragon jail.
>>49135312
Any attempt to change the system to allow instant-runoff voting or whatever would require the two parties to go along with it, and there's basically a 0% chance of that happening.
>>
>>49135312
~300 million, man. And two parties isn't a bad idea at all - it promotes stability, because it doesn't give voice to small radical fringes who can tug the major parties further left or right. The need for huge governing coalitions of loads of interests in each tent helps promote compromise, not between the two parties but between people who have to accept a bunch of other agendas to get theirs added to the major party platform.

Look at the multi-party messes you get in Europe or places like Israel, with a bunch of single-issue parties holding the balance of power and toppling the government if they don't get their way resulting in unstable and incoherent governments with no central vision.

Worst of the worst, see what happened in Britain with Brexit - regardless of what you think of the merit of Brexit itself, the political class cocked it up because of their multi-party system, where the Tories didn't actually want to Brexit but had to placate hardline UKIP on their right flank and hardline UKIP didn't want to actually do the hard work of Brexiting they just wanted to use the issue to make the Tories look soft. End result? A majority vote for a position no major party actually wanted to do.
>>
>>49135374
I dunno, shit works just fine in my country, on the overall. And sue me for not giving a shit about how many people live in the US enough to remember the specific number. All I know is you have WAY too many people to fit into a two-party voting system without it basically turning into a circus every election
>>
When did the Shadowrun timeline diverge from the regular timeline again? I want to figure out what would've happened to real-world political figures like Obama, Clinton, Trump, Putin etc.
>>
>>49127298

>I need you to muddle some data belonging to a coffee supplier to sell us the coffee beans for cheap
>Persuade a certain mom and pop coffee store to spill the beans on a certain supplier
>Speed up the process of a merger deal between us and a tea store so we can also start selling overrated teas with 95% tea filler and 5% actual tea.
>>
>>49135406
>~300 million, man
Hahaha! Oh man, I was WAY off. Again, I don't really follow population numbers. I live in Iceland. Our population is 300 THOUSAND, and my island can fit inside of Texas. I see North America on a map and go "fuckin' huge, must have loads of people on that heap of land".
>>
>>49135396
>Fairly recently. Apparently the only person in the amazonian government who really cared about the war was Sirrug and now that he's in dragon jail.
Huh. Well that's fucking dumb. Also
>in dragon jail
Please tell me that isn't actually a thing, and if he's in jail, why the fuck isn't Aden in dragon jail for fucking nuking Terhan?
>>49135464
Late 90's early 2000's IIRC
>>
>>49135406
>stability
you mean stability as in "we want to do things differently. Oh, what was that opposing party? You don't want to? Okay, let's not do that"?
>>
>>49135464
1999, as I recall it.
>>
>>49135435
America's also much much more socially, culturally, and ethnically diverse than most countries, party coalitions would be much worse vis-a-vi policy gridlock
>>
>>49134622
Most of it is fairly half-baked, but they at least attempted to explain it away with VITAS, taking in metahumans regardless of NAN makeup, 1/16th people being let in, and afaik Algonkian-Manitou didn't actually deport anyone. This doesn't explain why most of them have functional economies though. I could see the PCC having one, though. As for the others, do they have much industry? Other than magic, they don't seem that powerful in the fluff other than the Sioux and PCC(and Aztlan if we count that, since they were one of the founding NAN countries).

It's easier to justify it by just assuming exterior motives keep them together. The CAS is too busy worrying about Aztlan to do much against the NAN, which Aztlan is technically allied with.
>>
>>49135464
I presume around the time the first Shadowrun book was published, cuz the writers couldn't predict the future.
>>49135479
Aden is dead iirc. Killed by Lofie. I don't recall the specifics of what happened to Sirrug other than "Azzies hit him with Evil Magic Dragon Killing Serum (TM), but the other dragons saved him somehow"
>>
>>49135523
Really though, the biggest question to me is why don't the CAS and UCAS reunify? It seems like there aren't any major policy differences between them and both would certainly be in better position to counterbalance Azzie/NAN influence if they were a unified state
>>
>>49135575
Pretty sure Aden is still around, or at least he was circa 2 or 3e, as I know he's mentioned in Big D's will.
>>
>>49135464
In small ways the setting diverged way before the big stuff hit, like there being a ton more native Americans alive by 2000 than there are in the real world.
>>
>>49135602
Blind patriotism on the part of the CAS I would assume.
Also, once more, this setting makes no sense stop trying to make it make sense.
>>49135628
Yeah, this was fairly recent.
>>
>>49132600
>I dunno. It often kinda feels like they're cracking down on that too these days.
I'd go as far as saying that american movies have never been as violent as they are now.
>>
>>49135131
>>Also, several of them didn't survive that long. IIRC there was one that went bankrupt and was devoured by the PCC.
>Yeah the Ute nation, but that's literally the only one that's gone down the tubes.
>>the CAS is too busy worrying about Azzie expansion to do any expansion of its own, and iirc the UCAS is waiting for the azzies to take over the CAS and NANs, at which point it can "liberate" them.
>I never got that vibe, although maybe the status quo has been significantly altered in 5e, last I checked Aztlan was too bogged down in the quagmire of Amazonia to launch any kind of effective offensive.
>If anything the fluff always read something along the lines of the CAS/UCAS/Aztlan don't annex the NANs "because reasons."

At least our sports team isn't own by greedy jews who cares more about tickets than the prestige of team and ruining the reputation of the sport their country invented.

IT will be like if England hasn't won an annual regional cup...oh wait, despite inventing the spot, it hasn't won a UEFA champion yet. Yep just like Canadian Hockey teams lately.
>>
>>49135478
The relatively low population density of North America is a significant influencer in its politics, it's true. On the one hand it results in strong regional identities among the smaller populations of large, distinct territories, while on the other it makes it possible for large, coherent nations to exist like Canada and America because the actual numbers aren't unmanageably high. Like the only way you can run a country like China is that it's so homogeneous and dense that the middle levels of governance are basically all uniform.
>>
File: Competing Johnson.png (128KB, 212x278px) Image search: [Google]
Competing Johnson.png
128KB, 212x278px
>>49135010
No tips? Would appreciate anything any more veteran Shadowrun players could suggest.
>>
>>49135602
The cultural rifts and the UCAS taking in all the Canadians and ignoring the CAS really caused a split. There are some groups that tried to get the two groups to join, but they did it via terrorism at one point, holding senators hostage, etc. So that's unlikely to happen.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the Corporate Court would do anything in their power to actually keep them from reuniting(with the Canadian chunk, which is part of the UCAS now), at least most of the members. AAAs having some leverage against the UCAS and CAS to get policies and extraterritoriality is easier when there are two somewhat weaker countries than one stronger one.
>>
>>49135406
>it promotes stability
A nice word for gridlocking, I guess.
>>
>>49134622
Some do, at least have one capital full of tax evading services, and everything else is worthless unusable land.
>>
>>49135787
It's not like having significantly more parties would help gridlock any. Also see>>49135703
>>
There's lots of reasons nobody's rolled the NANs yet:

1) They're not incompetent, and taking
2) Anyone who makes moves like they're planning to start annexing NANs is likely to unite all of them, which is actually quite a bit of power.
3) Overextension - anyone strong enough to start conquering the NANs is going to risk wasting that strength for pretty questionable gains and expose themselves on other fronts. Nobody, not even the UCAS, is such a superpower that they can afford a multi-front war and Shadowrun is exceptionally multipolar.
4) Casus Belli. So much shit's gone down since the war that caused the breakup of America that people aren't really motivated to reconquer the NANs, if you had a political cabal interested in doing so it'd take a lot of work to get the public interested.
5) Corporate intervention, since the corporations don't like any one nation state from getting too powerful. The NANs give them something to bounce off the other players and keep everyone divided and weak.
6) Even if it all worked out and someone like UCAS started reconquering America, what now? They take over a bunch of restive, Native-heavy cities full of resentful insurgents and corporate schemes, they stretch their power and war-weary their populations... for what gain? Are you going to genocide the inconvenient natives? Resettle?

It'd basically take some kind of political/military genius to seize power on a wave of nationalism to start conquering shit again, and the Shadowrun setting has a way of taking those people out. Hell there was a better chance of Dunk reuniting North America in some kind of peaceful federation and he was nowhere near achieving it then fucking died.
>>
So Shamans will usually style themselves in certain forms and fashions, correct? Normally, most artwork features Shamans looking kind of 'modern-yet-Native American tribal' in many ways, largely due to the fact that the game is centered in America, and the majority of Totem Spirits fit the bill of Native American ones.

But what about alternative Totems and Spirit Mentors or the like? How does a Shaman that follows the Nordic Pantheon style himself? Do Egyptian Shamans wear the golden necklaces and decorations you'd have seen worn by Egyptian priests back in the ancient times? I'm asking largely because I'm piecing together what a Shaman who follows Gorilla might carry with them or wear as far as Shamanic fetishes go, and I'm fairly certain Gorilla doesn't fall under the territory of Native Americans.
>>
>>49135899
Shit, was going to say "They're not incompetent, and taking over one would involve the sort of forces most power-players have needed for other wars and threats that keep popping up."
>>
>>49135928
Really just depends on your character. With traditions, I don't think you have to be super serious with them. They just give a general sense of fluff to your character.

With a shaman, or a druid even, they're most likely 99% respectful towards nature. But beyond that I imagine that could dress how they wanted.

The tradition is part of your character's life but it doesn't have to be every part of it.
>>
>>49135406
>End result? A majority vote for a position no major party actually wanted to do.
God forbid the population to have a say, Jesus. We are way better here, where a president elected by popular vote could still lose.
>>
>>49135983
Fair enough. I just wasn't sure how to put it across, or if it even needed to be put across, basically.
>>
>>49135987
Put it that way, it feels like the US political system is about the same as the old soviet block, but with two parties to keep the charade.
>>
>>49136085
Laughable. You have no idea how much worse the Soviet bloc was.
>>
>>49135928
Dude you can have shamans who use Elvis as their mentor.
Its headology. People use what they think looks magicy because they are trying to be magicy, it works because they think it does.

So yes, hell the reason natives are so popular is because of that same logic. Natives are "mysticy" so when that meant something you had a bunch of old losers who were suddenly incredibly, unprecedentedly powerful.

Ask what Gorilla gives your character and you have how gorilla is venerated.
>>
>>49135726
You were doomed when you said ALL.

You just made your character the guy who can blackmail his entire corp, that makes you unnecessarily high ranking.

And as for how just a normal mr johnson campaign would run you basically got a resource management game.

AKA, something more homebrew then actually reliant on shadowrun mechanics.

Fuck you care how effective Combat is? You aren't actually fighting, your job is to hire people and take a nap.
>>
>>49135406
>Worst of the worst, see what happened in Britain with Brexit - regardless of what you think of the merit of Brexit itself, the political class cocked it up because of their multi-party system, where the Tories didn't actually want to Brexit but had to placate hardline UKIP on their right flank and hardline UKIP didn't want to actually do the hard work of Brexiting they just wanted to use the issue to make the Tories look soft. End result? A majority vote for a position no major party actually wanted to do.

Actually, the political class cocked it up because they thought they weren't accountable to the people, having gotten too comfortable being in the EU's backpocket. The sheer arrogant and haughty attitude that the political class took towards the general populous is why they lost. They made no attempts to hide how distasteful they found the "inferior masses", they used the media which was also happily in the EU's backpocket (the BBC gets pretty much all of its funding from the EU) and it bit them in the dick in the end.
>>
>>49136178
>they used the media which was also happily in the EU's backpocket
laughable
>>
So, /srg/ I have a question for you:
How the frag do you handle downtime? Because I can do shadowruns, both big ones and small ones, but when needing to have downtime I can't do it without having a brain fart.

Basically: What kind of stuff should I present for my players in their downtime? Because right now it is the metaphorical loading screen between levels.
>>
>>49136106
Only reason that shit hasn't reached Soviet bloc levels these days is because of the way that the Western world is pretty much under a massive spotlight and camera 24/7. Trying to 'disappear' people the way the Soviets did would be harder to pull off in the US thanks to social media and the likes.

Not that the news, and social media outlets like Twitter and Facebook aren't trying their hardest to fix that.
>>
>>49136197
Yeah, Project Fear WAS pretty laughable.

They were about two steps away from declaring that the sky would part, and fire would rain from the sky should Brexit happen. Also, did you miss the part where the EU pretty much funds the BBC?
>>
>>49136231
>>49136231
Ask what your players want to do in their downtime, and for comedic value ask a few checks if there is a need.

I have a player whose character is a borderline autist and spends most of his downtime playing chess and swimming with the cybered dolphin they liberated in a research lab.
>>
>>49136271
And the majority, and by that I mean the LARGE majority of the press was pro-brexit, nearly saying that the sky would fall if people voted against brexit and that EU death squads would kill them all if they stayed in.
>>
>>49135899
1. [Citation needed]
2. With what military? With what existing unified command structure? With what infrastructure and industry to support it? They'd run out of supplies assuming they weren't steamrolled before they could actually mobilize.
3. None of the megas outside of Aztecnology has a dog in the fight, if anything the megas stand to gain with greater access to resources that were formally verboten
4. The American identity seems alive and well, that coupled with potentially lucrative military and civilian contracts seem enough for otherwise disinterested non-standard actors to inolve themselves.
4. The Azzies are the only one with a questionable stake in seeming the NANs around and they could hardly risk an offensive war against the CAS/UCAS lest they get slapped with an omega order again.
6. How effective a resistance would be able to be mounted?
>>
Is the Beginner box worth buying?
>>
would you let someone play a mcdonalds shaman? I wish to use mcmagic, summon clowns, and make burger rain.
>>
>>49136271
>did you miss the part where the EU pretty much funds the BBC?
Well, it's a lie since the BBC is funded 75% by the TV licence revenues and 25% by advertising.
>>
>>49136326
>EU death squads
Well, the EU IS trying to form its own militia, that's an actual fact.

Hell, between that, the attempts to make it so that every country in the EU has to dissolve its own laws and follow EU laws, and the way that some countries like Germany have taken to jailing journalists with the 'wrong' opinions, they're well on their way to recreating a new Soviet bloc of their own.
>>
>>49136448
The EU parliament is actually more representaive and more democratically elected than the US or the british one

Talk about a soviet bloc
>>
>>49136339
>they could hardly risk an offensive war against the CAS/UCAS lest they get slapped with an omega order again.
You do realize they've waged a few offensive wars against the CAS, right? The omega order was for nationalizing megacorporate property.
>>
>>49136443
I also want to play a street sam named slippy or jingles. Maximum edge and dodge, distinctive style (clown), lots if soak for slapstick, tiny car. Signature moves include grenade pie and slipping off of tall buildings.
>>
>>49135696
Shitty analogy mate. England hasn't won shit in a long time on any level. Canada trounces everybody at the international level. Canadian hockey teams don't actually retain the best players for NHL play. The americans wave cash until our lads go down south for their 9-5. Then we wipe the floor at the worlds, olympics, and youth championships.

t. Triggered canuck
>>
>>49136955
Don't forget sacrificing mimes to the honkmother.

[honking intensifies]
>>
File: pinkie_clowntress.jpg (3MB, 1926x2500px) Image search: [Google]
pinkie_clowntress.jpg
3MB, 1926x2500px
>>49136955
>>49137505
Cyberskating (external tech, not chrome), neon-pink haired, clown girl.

How would you class that? Street Sam? Face? Something else entirely?
>>
>>49133237
>Plus how are supposed to sell toys if those baby shits don't see your movie?

I don't know, but they did it in the 80s and 90s. I guess make a cartoon series.
>>
If Chicago is the Shadowrun equivalent of Detroit, is Bogotá Allepo?
>>
>>49137739
Around what time are we talking here? Bug City or post-Bug City?
>>
>>49137749
>>49137815
Then yeah, I can see it being like Detroit. Hell, probably worse than Detroit, even.
>>
>>49137890
More like Nagasaki c. 1948?
>>
>>49137890
What about Bogotá c. 2077?
>>
>>49137917
Sounds about right, yeah. Even though it'll have been 10-20 years since Bug City in the 2070's, the recovery has been real fucking slow, so 1948 Nagasaki is a relatively good comparison to where Chicago is at in the 2070's.
>>
>>49137954
Hard to say.. Allepo's pretty shit, but not sure if Bogotá is as bad since I haven't read up on the state of affairs there outside of it being caught between Amazonia and Aztlan, and the Amazonians torturing Bogotáns.
>>
>>49136651
>5e lore
>>
>>49137505
I'm going to disguise all my weapons as clowning utensils.
Grenade pies. Honkhorns that might have sleeping gas or something. Mop and bucket for cleaning up things and also pratfalls. Stickied up plungers for climbing walls.

>>49137709
it really depends on what you want to do with it. Mine's going to be a sam.
>>
>>49137709
>How would you class that?
You would give them the attributes, skills and gear appropriate to what you want them to do.

Non-cyber rollerskates are just rollerskates.
>>
File: jcvd_2634828k.jpg (129KB, 858x536px) Image search: [Google]
jcvd_2634828k.jpg
129KB, 858x536px
NOOB HERE.

I'm homebrewing a system, and I started using a (new) World of Darkness style dicepool system. Attack and Dodge, Damage and Soak.

I've heard Shadowrun uses a Dicepool system. Is this true? What are the major differences between combat in WoD and Shadowrun (5th ed, I'm assuming, but I'd look at older versions if they have merits).

Feel free to link me to some resources. Any youtube videos with a sample combat I can listen too or watch?

here is a Jean Claude Van Damme for you're viewing pleasure.

>>49125571
>>
>>49138170
Read Storm front. Aztlan-Amazonian war went hot, Bogotá was he center of it.
>>
>>49135666
Lofwyr killed Alamais, not Aden
>>
>>49138416
You just linked yourself to all the resources you need.
>>
>>49137890
Instead of gangs and skyscrapers that cost less than some houses, it's insect spirit hives and a nuke crater.
>>
>>49138291
>Non-cyber rollerskates are just rollerskates.
Never said they were non-cyber. I said they were external. As in no limb-replacement.
>>
>>49138558
You said "external tech, not chrome".

If chrome doesn't mean cyber to you, then you need to re-thesaurise.
>>
>>49138501
i checked the pastebin, not the kind of stuff I'm looking for, I don't think anyway.

Specifically,
1. a WoD vs Shadowrun comparison.
2. a sample combat.
>>
>>49136493
I think you might be getting the European Commission confused with the European Parliament.
>>
>>49138650
>1. a WoD vs Shadowrun comparison.
There's a C2020 WoD conversion.

Not really the place to work on your homebrew WoD stuff, and I don't care / wouldn't know where to look for whatever kind of comparison you're after.
>>
>>49136493
We don't have a parlement, we have a congress. Although as our upper house is designed to be unrepresentative, it's not hard to be more representative than it.
>>49137954
When it was a war zone, sure. Not anymore tho
>>
>>49138631
I always took chrome to refer to 'lopped off my legs to get cybernetic ones'.
>>
File: Leeroy_Jenkins_(art).jpg (40KB, 400x457px) Image search: [Google]
Leeroy_Jenkins_(art).jpg
40KB, 400x457px
So I just talked with a fellow party member. Our game is in a couple of weeks and he wants to make a street sam. Nothing bad here yet, but there are few parts that make me worry:
1: He isn't familiar with the system at all. I think he even has just passing knowledge about the setting.
2: He wants to make a "character who fights on top of his motorcycle, crashing in through the window guns blazing."

I know I shouldn't really care, but I am afraid at least one of us will be having a Bad Time™...
>>
>>49134688
>>What are some of the houserules that are really highly recommended?
>houserules

HAHA why not just write your own fcking system if you're going to just play around with the rules? Just take a big steaming sh!t on the devs while your at it.
>>
>Korea exists
>The Phillipines exist
>Manchuria exists
>Sakhalin is in Russian hands
>Port Arthur is independent

Can someone tell me how Japan is an empire in Shadowrun?
>>
>>49125724
I'v been working a similar spell. It's more meant to be biotic charge from mass effect than a blink though.
I'd like to hear some thoughts though. I have no idea if it's balanced.
4e as a base

>Somatic Fling
>Type:P Range:LOS Duration: I DV: (F/2)+2
The caster telekineticly hurls themselves toward a target at high speed. They move in straight line, in any direction and through any space that can fit their body. If there is any sort of barrier between the caster and their target the spell ends immediately. If the caster does not end their travel on a solid surface they fall. If the caster was already falling or moving when this spell was cast they maintain their moment at the end of the spell. This spell cannot be used to cancel falling damage but it can be used to cut the distance of a fall.

The range of this spell is equal to force*5+2 per hit on a spellcasting test. To land in target location the caster must make a spellcasting test and achieve at least one hit. If no hits are rolled the spell failed and the caster stays were they are. If the caster reaches the spell's maximum distance before reaching their target the spell still ends.

If the target is moving or an enemy then the test is treated as an opposed ranged attack test. If the caster rolls one hit but is unable to hit their target roll on the scatter table to see where they land (1d6-2per hit)
On a hit the caster collides with their enemy dealing (STR/2)+Force+net hits resisted with impact armor.
>>
>>49139731
You can pretty much call yourself what you want?
>>
>>49139654
>implying SR is a perfect system
>implying Errata are not a kind of house rule
>implying all groups play the same
laughing_metas.jpg
>>
>>49139731
It has an emperor. You could declare yourself emperor of your condo and your condo would thus be an empire. Having others acknowledge your empire is another matter entirely.
>>
>>49139756
You don't declare yourself an empire unless you're going to empire stuff.

>>49139883
Eh, empire usually implies imperialism. In fact, some may argue imperialism is a requirement of an empire.
>>
>>49139907
You could imperialistically expand your influence from your bedroom all the way to the kitchen for example.
>>
>>49139932
In the same way Shadowrun's Japan has imperialistically expanded their influence to... Japan?
>>
>>49139959
DAI NIPPON BANZAI!
>>
>>49139654
Anon, there is literally not one single system in the history of mankind, tabletop or otherwise, that is perfect.
>>
>>49139834
It's still cheating.
>>
>>49139985
What?
>>
>>49139985
chummer, how the hell is using house rules cheating?
Don't see it as cheating, see it as optimizing, streamlining, adapting. Changing a system that may be 90% what you need and getting it closer to 100%
As with evolution an optimization for one can be a regression for another, which is why house rules are options
>>
>>49139959
>>49139979
But yeah in all seriousness though, yes. Japan is an empire because it was united through conquest of numerous small clans. The system, and thus the name, have stuck ever since.
>>
>>49139907
Grasping
>>
>>49140040
Through that logic, America is an Empire as well.
>>
>>49140168
Never declared itself an empire.
>>
>>49140179
So even if you fulfill every requirement to be an empire, you aren't one unless you say you are?
>>
>>49140218
Yes. Not officially anyway.
>>
>>49140231
Sure. Still, if Japan declared itself an empire (Which I believe it is currently not in modern day) you'd think it'd want to, you know, be a bloody empire. There's no reason why they wouldn't have taken the Philippines, Korea, etc.
>>
>>49140033
>"oh this video game is too hard I'm just going to hack in more health it's not cheating it's streamlining :^)"
>"oh this roleplaying game is too hard I'm just going to change the rules to make it easier :^)"

It's cheating. End of line.
>>
>>49140274
>Make it easier
>Difficulty as any sort of system related thing
>In an RPG
You're not a very smart man
>>
>>49140254
Japan still has an emperor, both in SR and IRL.
And they did try the whole bloody expansionism back during WWII, but that didn't turn out so well now did it?

Honestly, they can still be a major powerhouse and effectively own all the surrounding countries through economical means rather than direct control. It's a way better option financially speaking.
>>
>>49140274
>all mods are cheating
You... made some pretty good bait.
>>
>>49140320
Having an emperor doesn't make you an empire. The emperor is only a figurehead, in the same way the queen is a figurehead for Canada.
>>
>>49140274
Chummer, that analogy is nice
But it has 0% relation to house rules
house rules are more like
>well the mechanisms for taking off and landing are far too complicated. Let's change it to a few commands so that we can enjoy the main part: flying
>well the rules for combat are far too clunky. Let's change it to a single success test instead with modifiers based on the enemy stats and terrain

they are basically mods like >>49140340 said.
there are mods that make the game easier
there are mods that make the game HARDER
there are mods that make the game neither harder nor easier but different, changing the colour but not the brightness

Some games want to focus on detailed firefights, some on the social mechanics, some on the planning. Are you saying changing the system to cut unnecessary parts is ALWAYS cheating?
>>
>>49140373
But it does.
Here's the first definition I found:
>a group of nations or peoples ruled over by an emperor, empress, or other powerful sovereign or government: usually a territory of greater extent than a kingdom,
In this case, peoples as in the Japanese people. You could argue that all the old clans count as different nations or people, but it is certain that there are numerous subcultures within japan (eg. okinawans, ainu).
>>
>>49140417
>Are you saying changing the system to cut unnecessary parts is ALWAYS cheating?

Haven't you been reading his posts? He's pretty much committed to his stance to the point that no amount of reasonable argument is likely to change him. In other words, he's either a zealot, or he's baiting.
>>
File: file.png (166KB, 400x254px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
166KB, 400x254px
>>49140417
Ignore him, it's an old troll.
>>
>>49140605
Ah a troll from before my time.
A bait for a more civilized age
>>
>>49129806
I feel guilty I gave my players a NPC infiltrator naga.
>>
>>49129866
Play the hair brain schemes Shadowrun games. Dragonfall and Hong Kong play like really good sessions. It gave me a good idea on how to structure runs and I would recommend.
>>
>>49140655
>Allowing dirty nonhumans
You should feel guilty
>>
What are some good twists for runs that don't necessarily make the runs harder, chummers?

Last run my group was on virtual idol protection duty; their job was to protect the system that was going to broadcast a vocaloid concert run by horizon. To make sure that no-one would notice it, on site security was not told of this and the system itself was kept some distance away from the concert.

The "system" was a male technomancer surgically altered to look like and think they were Hatsune Miku, and hooked up to a dozen vibrators and drugs. Halfway through the digital concert the show got seriously lewd and the images of futa Miku jerking off on a 20 foot high screen claiming "this was who she truly was" was shown on multiple grids. The sight of the technomancer being bundled into a van by the team as they fled only boosted the conspiracy theories that Horizon was making AI pop stars out of technomancers and the fanbase was fractured of those who were disgusted by the futa showing, those who secretly loved it, and those who were "wtf horizon made me gay now" all of which made Horizon's local market share tank.

Which of course was what the Johnsons wanted.
>>
>>49140739
/pol/ is that way Humanis scum.
>>
>>49140778
>Liking dirty sub humans
Shit fetish and shit race
>>
>>49140772
what the fuck
>>
>>49140739
>>49140794
At least it isn't some Class-III SURGE shittery mate. H-Ha, right?

>>49140806
What, you've never had your runners go on a job to collect a runaway rich kid only to find they checked themselves into some real degenerate shit?
>>
>>49140806
the party wanted to seduce AI idols but instead got dickgirls.
>>
>>49140772

See, this is why I never take jobs in JIS.

Too many AAA corps stomping, too much bushido bullshit and things always gets weird, always.
>>
So how do I determine if my weapon is "too accurate" for my character, ie. I would just be wasting money with that weapon?
Should I just look at my limit and rethink my options if weapon's ACC is above that?
>>
>>49141031
Look at your dice pool and ask yourself if you think the limit will come into play. Having a weapon that's too accurate isn't really a problem, having a weapon that isn't accurate enough could be. If you have a dice pool of say 12, you probably want a weapon with an accuracy of at least 5, preferably 6, because you'll be counting on 4 hits on average.
>>
>>49141687
Got it. Thanks chummer.
>>
File: J0BJ94I.jpg (211KB, 1278x1599px) Image search: [Google]
J0BJ94I.jpg
211KB, 1278x1599px
At Dragon Con in Atlanta this weekend. Sadly Catalyst is not in attendance this year but I see there are some Shadowrun Missions being run.

Anyone have any experience with them? Know any good ones?

Also, if I want to I introduce a buddy of mine are the intro sessions actually 5e tutorials or just bring a fresh character for fast food fight sessions?
>>
Is there any MRSI equivalent for bows in 5e, or do bows even need it in SR5?
>>
>>49134058

Deadpool was considered a gamble because the people against it were idiots. The market for R-rated movies has always been there. It's been Hollywood's attempted social engineering bullshit that's responsible for most films being PG-13. Stop sipping the goddamn kool-aid chummer.
>>
Is that 4e rule for snipers losing accuracy when you move with them still around in 5e? Did it get removed?
>>
>>49142282
>Snipers losing accuracy
I've never heard about this. Source?
>>
>>49142400
https://i.gyazo.com/54b61a70f2e66ddbf9f0deada07b1cb7.png
>>
File: 1464974816405.jpg (52KB, 428x383px) Image search: [Google]
1464974816405.jpg
52KB, 428x383px
GMs of /srg/, how do you deal with a dynamic police response to runner actions.

>Runners have to extract a prisoner being held temporarily in a cyberclinic in anarchist Berlin in a corp controlled sector
>Decide sneak close and do a smash+grab
>Bring non stealth characters, they get spotted outside the clinic, start shooting (kill some doctors and security) and a shitstorm ensues
>Already have 3 bound spirits on them and on site security have locked down the clinic
>1 PC is dead, 2 are in seperate buildings less than a block away from the clinic. One pursuing a mage, the other hiding under a desk, another took 3 doses of Kamikaze and is going ham with a monofil chainsaw in the streets and the last one is almost in overflow stumbling around near the crazy chainsaw runner.

My PCs are attempting to cut their losses and run, security was already patrolling the corp sector (a few block around the clinic) and the gates out are on lockdown. Just looking for ideas on what an ideal response would be from security in the area and how easily they'd be able to track the PCs without it being bullshit
>>
>>49142539
You do know you can just upload it here? Image limit is 150
>>
>>49142282
it still exists for one rifle, and I think to just a certain amount of accuracy loss.
>>
>>49142587
Yes, but this was faster.
>>
>>49142554
it depends on what the security contract is for the facility that was hit.

as long as theyre in the contracted area and causing a ruckus in public, the security firm is essentially forced to hit them with everything they have (or their own credibility goes down the drain)

odds are the standard package wouldn't cover pursuing anyone outside the corp enclave, because the security firm wouldnt have authority in the anarchist parts of town.

if it means enough to the corp that was hit, they might try and financially persuade the security firm to go a bit further than they normally would, or of course hire runners of their own

tracking them would be tough because the pcs almost certainly moved through areas controlled by different parties. they were seen on camera, but it would be hard for any single party to get all the records needed to track them. one option for a run would be some corp with recordings of the pcs fleeing to their hideout threatening to sell the recording to the target/the police/whoever if the pcs dont do a job for them
>>
>>49125571
So I just thought I'd link this for anyone needing a neat idea for a run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i51x6-8GqkA
>>
>>49142735
Oh they haven't left the area at all yet, but those ideas sound excellent for when they do leave.

There's also a major prototype mcguffin program being run there which they didn't do legwork to learn about so there's and HTR team on site. Would it be reasonable for the HTR to pursue them in a helicopter outside the controlled zone?
>>
>>49142792
assuming the purpose of the htr team is to guard the mcguffin, i wouldnt have them do too much pursuing. theyve already been booked to protect the thing, not chase people that have already done their damage (for all the corp knows the pcs are a distraction for the much more important thing that is worth keeping under full-time htr security)

if you want to spook em a bit, you could have the chopper (in the colors/markings of the htr team) fly around a bit, just so the pcs know these guys are there. might be a good way to build some paranoia about what the run was really about.
>>
>>49140772
Runners hired to clear a corp facility of personnel and destroy the evidence of what went on there.
Facility is a bio research facility.
Evidence indicates there was a containment breach.
When they get there everyone is zombies.
Players think "shoot for the head" and double tap.
Turns out the virus just killed the workers at the facility and nothing else
and there corpses have all been inhabited by low level shedim. Players start shittin.
>>
>>49139257
If there's a physical connection, whether your feet have implanted studs, magnets, or have been replaced entirely, that's augmentation, cyber, chrome, etc.

If it's 'external' & 'not chrome', then they're shoes with wheels.
>>
>>49143038
>shedim.

Fuck that noise evac the base and thor shot it from orbit.
>>
Is wanting to start the next big war too lofty a career goal for a runner?
>>
File: FOOKEN DRAGONS.jpg (806KB, 1000x1294px) Image search: [Google]
FOOKEN DRAGONS.jpg
806KB, 1000x1294px
>>49144393
Considering the runner team in TwoDee's Storytime pretty much caused what is equivalent to the entirety of Operation Iraqi Freedom concentrated into the city of Portland, no, it isn't too lofty.
>>
>>49144446
Gonna need a link for that mate.
>>
File: 1334024078719.jpg (361KB, 1635x1635px) Image search: [Google]
1334024078719.jpg
361KB, 1635x1635px
>>49144612
https://mega.nz/#!YwdSgTCA!FZmle_eYpKU9dmUBC61YK20Hm4qiPb76wyOBPZZG_wA
Here's the entire storytime compiled into one pdf. The Portland Clusterfuck happens towards the end of the Final Run.
>>
So is that poor bastard who's crew was swindled near NuÂĄ53B of enriched uranium by the GM for what was comparatively pocket change and a half eaten PB&J? I wanna know if and how you plan to incorporate that into your session, or if you're gonna just say "Frag it" and move on?

"hey so, I was diving in the matrix onto the shadow forums, and turns out that Mr. Johnson didn't just bend us over and fuck us, but also like several generations of our families, both past and future."

"How bad we talking?"

"That NuÂĄ7M and the other odds and ends for the job? Good haul, sure. But... Turns out we REALLY had NuÂĄ53B worth of product."

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK"
>>
>>49145437
Also, sorry if I fuck up any lingo, I'm really green when it comes to Shadowrun. But you should still get the gist of it
>>
>>49145105
Okay so far this is amazing. I can see why it was saved.
>>
>>49145437
>NuÂĄ
Just ÂĄ or Nuyen, chummer.
>>
>>49145437
Reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwh9c_E3dJk
>>
>>49145105
That version isn't missing the first half of one chapter, is it? I remember there being a pdf floating about that was. Chapter 10 or something.
>>
>>49145771
That had to sting

I'm just hoping he and his crew go to steal it back and sell it to a rival Corp so they could retire before inevitable nuclear fallout
>>
Is it worth it to invest in Martial Arts styles and Techniques if you're a PhyAdept Troll with max Str? I was looking at "Classical Boxing" for flavour, but I found most of them just either added a little bit of damage, or a slight ability that would be slightly less useful then just dealing more damage. Are Martial Arts less useful in general, or should I consider a different martial art, or just save the karma and spend it on other things?
>>
>>49145981
Have you read this?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s4RqCugSDuHiUaVUs8Dk491oasP4r-2U3GQs-JHq9Cg

TL;DR, Jujitsu or Karate for unarmed. Arnis, Fiori or Kunst for melee. Kyujutsu or Cowboy's Way for ranged.
>>
>>49146048
I haven't, I'll give it a read, thanks!
>>
>>49142217
>you're a cultist for paying attention to market forces
Look, I want a musical about the great leap forward, (and more hollywood musicals in general) but you don't hear me complaining. Why? Because I realize there's no fucking market for such things.
>>
>>49146048
JKD is not only cool as hell but also has some nice techniques.
>>
>>49134979
>Yeah the Ute nation, but that's literally the only one that's gone down the tubes.

The Ute and Tsimshan both died, the former due to banruptcy and the latter was basically bought-out and strip mined by MCT. There's a nice section in the Montreal sourcebook that talks about a divide between natives- the older generation that fought with Howling Coyote wants to stay pure and tribal, the younger wants to turn into a more modern nation, establish better trade with non-NAN, and exploit resources more effectively (the current nations do use their resources, just not to the cyberpunk extent of making toxic zones).
>>
File: Native Shaman.jpg (21KB, 236x405px) Image search: [Google]
Native Shaman.jpg
21KB, 236x405px
>>49134954
>Do they have things like normal cities and postal services and guys who take public transit to their office job at a computer except their cubicle is made of wood and the train is full of dreamcatchers?

That's basically true. You've got some groups that have reverted to nomadic tribes, but the rest are modern cities and towns. Remember, the native aspects for a lot of these people are more or less adopted cultural aesthetic, due to the One Drop policy.
>>
>>49135109
>the shitstorm J.K. Rowling got herself into writing about stuff that so much as referred to Native Americans

That wasn't the issue. It was that her writing was super fucking boring, generic, and stereotyped "wise medicine man talks with animals and listens to Mother Earth", which has nothing to do with how magic works in HP and doesn't match any part of how magic was described in the other books. Oh, and the white Americans set up a normal university that works great, but the natives are still walking around in buckskin moccasins and painting with the colours of the wind.
>>
File: Sirrurg.jpg (21KB, 200x262px) Image search: [Google]
Sirrurg.jpg
21KB, 200x262px
>>49135479
>dragon jail

Basically what happened was that Aztlan brought every gun they had to bear on Sirrurg, and shot the shit out of him. They would have killed him, but a bunch of Great Form Spirits showed up and hauled his scaly ass out of there.

Then the Loremaster (Celedyr) announced that the spirits had been sent by the Great Dragons to take Sirrurg into custody for his war crimes. They won't say where he is, what he's doing, or even if he survived his wounds. It was basically the dragons saving one of their own from being killed by metahumans, possibly just to save face but possibly because they don't want the Azzies doing any blood magic with Sirrurg like they did with that feathered serpent.
>>
>>49136339
>With what military? With what existing unified command structure?

The STC. The Tribal Council, the governing body of the NAN, is literally there specifically in case of war to ensure everyone pulls together.
>>
File: 150708_js8pb_rci-oka_sn635.jpg (45KB, 635x357px) Image search: [Google]
150708_js8pb_rci-oka_sn635.jpg
45KB, 635x357px
>>49134622
>How do the NANs have functional economies?
They don't. The writers of Shadowrun clearly didn't understand out economies work.

>aside from the fact that they're needed to arbitrarily Balkanize the United States?
None, really. They wanted to be unique in their Balkanization and I guess Oka was in the back of their minds while writing.

That said, you do have to have a massive suspension of disbelief when dealing with Shadowrun, not only for the magic, but it's laughable attempts at geopolitics. It's meant for "That's so cool!" factor and probably not meant to be carefully examined.
>>
>>49135010
You play it like a corporate from Cyberpunk 2020
>>
>>49147879
>tfw you realize every character in SR is a Solo or Netrunner

So many ideas that will never be explored. A game of Corporate, Media, Cop, and Techie is a hell of a thing.
>>
File: Saracen Glance.png (255KB, 602x388px) Image search: [Google]
Saracen Glance.png
255KB, 602x388px
>>49147858
>I guess Oka was in the back of their minds while writing.

>Oka Crisis in 1990
>SR started in 1989
>>
>>49147970
Fuck, for some reason I thought it was 1991. I always get my late 80's early 90's cyberpunk RPG release dates mixed up.
>>
>>49147957
Arguably some face characters could count as a Fixer, to some limited degree. But that's typically what Shadowrun is for, Netrunners, Solos, Fixers, as the scope of the game tends to be a lot more focused.
>>
>>49148013
I wouldn't say Face. To me, the Fixer has it's equivalent in Shadowrun in... fixers. A Face is just someone who's good at talking and getting things via social interaction, but even reading that basic outline of the Fixer in CP2020 it's clear it's a different ball game. A Fixer is someone who is working for himself consistently, finger in every pie, managing shit. 99% of Faces don't do that, focusing only on what the immediate job is. A Shadowrun game where you are running a criminal syndicate is already a different game than the assumed Shadowrun.

It's not even a limited comparison, beyond the fact that both interact with other people socially for preference.
>>
>>49148076
I suppose you are right. Hell, I even said Shadowrun is very narrow in scope, so you think I would have thought about the fixer being analogous to the face a bit more.
>>
>>49140778
Humanis did nothing wrong. Joining them literally gives you karma.
>>
File: tumblr_nfdkxzLtwU1rtt03xo5_1280.png (506KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nfdkxzLtwU1rtt03xo5_1280.png
506KB, 600x900px
So here's a fun argument.

>All Strain II and Strain III Infected begin play with an Essence of 5 and a Magic of 1, unless they were magically active before their Infection. In this case, they begin with a Magic rating one less than their original Magic; the Essence lost to the disease takes the same toll on Magic as it would at any other time.

So according to RAW, you can fill yourself up with 4-5 Essence worth of cyberware, then contract the Krieger strain and get your Essence reset to 5.
>>
New Thread
>>49149057

>>49148989
I think this one those "the GM should slap you if you try it" cases. Besides, you have to make all those rejection tests or the cyberware gets pushed out.
>>
Is there any bioware that improves intuition? I made a face/melee adept and didn't realize how important intuition was for face stuff/astral perception.
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.