[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/srg/- Shadowrun General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 38

File: shadowrunnerub.png (344KB, 594x615px) Image search: [Google]
shadowrunnerub.png
344KB, 594x615px
...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Onion Routers
>>>Login: *********
>>>Enter Passcode: *********
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to SeattleNet...

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files: >>48948786
>metaplaniar_madness.trid
>Mind_Control_And_You_And_Us_All.txt
>Nope.avi

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: 511 (87% Positive)
* You have 1 new private message, titled 'WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?'
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running The_Wizard's_Shotgun.BTL...

>Shoot straight
>Conserve ammo
>And never, ever cut a deal with a dragon

Stupid things you can do with magic edition
Okay, so mages have to have mana around to cast, but there's no rules saying they can't cast into mana voids. What's stopping a particularly dickish mage from chucking fireballs at moon bases, ZOG, etc, other than lack of a powerful enough telescope?
>>
>>48999182
>What's stopping a particularly dickish mage from chucking fireballs at moon bases
Presumably, fireballs dissipate. Also, no oxygen outside of atmosphere, so it wouldn't be able to sustain itself outside of which.
>>
File: Dio.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Dio.pdf
1B, 486x500px
I thought I'd make a possession mage who uses fashion mannequins as vessels. Also owns a salon, and does her own work.

I ran out of money, but asides from that, how does the rest look?

(I could probably ditch the zombie dust patches)
>>
>>48999182
Well, the lack of mana would probably mean that the spells would fizzle as they leave the atmosphere. Think pre-sixth-world levels of magic, but worse. That said, the fluff is kinda the GM's to mold, but I'd say magic wouldn't really last long in the void, heck, they probably have to import tuns of plants just to sustain life.
>>
File: Chicago.gif (354KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Chicago.gif
354KB, 300x300px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuWTQtyKih4
>>
Some website called Bundle of holding is selling a bunch of 3rd edition material for cheap. As a shadowrun newbie, is this worth getting?
>>
Consumed-by-spirit through inhabition PCs (DM allowing) is the closest thing we can have to Free Spirit PCs, so I guess that's cool. But what limitations are there for Inhabited PCs? Allowing Mages the ability to bind you? Coerce you for services?

But then again, it's not like they're threatened by death, only banishment.
>>
>>48999182
Your question contains its own answer. Even with the most powerful optical telescope getting a clear enough look at orbital structure to target it would be nigh impossible, and I'm pretty sure you can't dodge background count by standing outside it and firing in, given that sustained spells are disrupted by entering the ara, so the GM would be well within his rights to impose a -24 penalty on firing a spell into space.
>>
>>48999421
Classic
>>
>>48999439
Due to the infamous fraud that's been happening at Catalyst, it's recommended that you don't give them money. Might be worth getting for the fluff, but 4 or 5e are generally considered to be easier systems to learn.
>>
>>48999543
Infamous fraud? I haven't really been following the news, mind filling me in?
>>
Was shadowrun hong kong the last game Harebrained schemes will put out? I've not found anything relevant to anymore of those games. And they are good for inspiration and presenting the setting to players. Giving them books and images isn't half as good as having them play through some vidyas.
>>
>>48999548
Long story short. The dudes writing the books have were promised paymenty from the owners and copyright holders.
They were never paid and it's all a clusterfuck, so it's likely they never will be.
>>
>>48999548
tl;dr CGL was originally set up out of the owner's personal accounts, for Reasons. Those accounts were never unlinked properly, and one of the owners of the company embezzeled a bunch of money to build home improvements. This led to MANY MANY MANY of the freelancers not getting paid; pretty much all of the good freelancers fucked off because of it.
>>
>>48999548
https://geek-related.com/2010/04/17/catalyst-games-defiant-criminals/
The short story and links to find out more basically.
>>
>>48999604
After seeing the trainwreck that passes for editing and layout by Catalyst, I wouldn't pay them a copper either
>>
File: Catalyst 850000 missing.jpg (365KB, 1542x1169px) Image search: [Google]
Catalyst 850000 missing.jpg
365KB, 1542x1169px
>>48999548
>>
>>48999644
>>48999615
>>48999604
>>48999646
And what's worse is that this has been going on for years, will never be punished and will continue, while Catalyst keep making money.
>>
>>48999644
Considering they were paid late, barely given contracts and their jobs was writing lore and mechanics and the editor is one of the dudes that's embezzling i disagree.
>>
>>48999674
I am in complete surprise that they find freelancers to write more shit for them.
>>
>>48999708
Pretty much everyone that writes for CGL writes because they love Shadowrun. That's why like Opti and Vox are writing shit for them now.
>>
Currently building a Mystic Adept druid for 5e, who will hopefully have an Ally Spirit and Attuned Animal Companion (both Wolves, as that's her mentor spirit).

My question is this: their speciality so far seems to be tracking and detection. But how important will some of those spells be if I have both a spirit and a companion to help scout areas out for me? Should I focus more into illusion spells and sneaking for some utility, or combat support spells so my wolf pet is a bit better when I sic it on mooks? (I don't plan on using the ally spirit for combat unless things get too dire; they have a tendency to be broken, and using one to fight would bring more unwanted attention than would be helpful.)
>>
There used to be a Doc file with some house-rules suggested changes for 4th Edition Shadowrun that 2D ( the story time guy ) linked that their GM used - but i cant seem to find it. Anyone have a copy?

And while we're on the subject, any useful or interesting houserules for 4eA?

yes, yes, "just play 5th edition" is probably the best answer but I kinda like 4A.
>>
>>48999725

And some, like Bull, stayed around because it gave them them the chance to devolve the setting back to 3rd edition as much as they could.
>>
>>49000156

I use the Ends of the Matrix (replacement Matrix rules that actually function, by a freelancer) - http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=48836

And most of his other houserules here: http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=58685#58685

They're pretty good, but some don't like that it lets hackers mess with brains - something like GitS style - it's supported by the fluff, but was usually glossed over by the actual rules.
>>
Technomancer book WHEN?!
>>
>>49000308
Probably 12-18 months.
>>
>>49000447

Fuck waiting that long I'm going to make a Petnomancer.
>>
>>49000308
never
>>
>>48999644
>After seeing the trainwreck that passes for editing and layout by Catalyst, I wouldn't pay them a copper either
No, that's a newer development. Ever since the embezzlement story broke - literally years ago at this point - they literally haven't had an editing staff. And, believe it or not, doing editing and layouts on the book is very much not those unpaid freelancers' job.

The piss-poor editing is something caused by the embezzlement and lack of pay, rather than the other way around.

It's just a thoroughly scummy company.
>>
>>49000308
>Technomancer book WHEN?!
Hopefully never. Technomancer a shit.
>>
>>49000641
From a rules perspective or a fluff perspective? Because a new book can definitely help with one of those...
>>
>>49000946
Actually a new book could help with both.

The point they suffer the most from is that everything they do, a dedicated hack or rigger can do just as well. The Techno's only gimmick is spamming Sprites, and even then the Machine Sprite is really the one that feels unique and can't exactly be replicated.

To be a good archetype, Technos should feel as different from Hackers as Adepts feel to Street Sams.

So maybe the problem does not lie in the Techno. If hackers had to stay at home and use massive computers to do their stuff, having a Techno with slightly sub-par abilities but a vastly improved mobility would be and intersting change. Just my two cents
>>
>>49001383
>To be a good archetype, Technos should feel as different from Hackers as Adepts feel to Street Sams.
I disagree. Technos should feel as different from Hackers as Mages feel to Street Sams.
>>
>>49001421
I think a better comparison would be technos to hackers, adepts to street sams.
>>
>>49001421
So, they should be completely different and work with a different medium?

What are technomancers supposed to do that has no connection to manipulating computer technology?
>>
>>48999421
Goddamnit anon stop making me want to play a bug shaman.

Maybe I should just dm a bughunt game.
>>
>>49001473
Because, y'know, magic doesn't do anything at all affecting physical reality, right?
>>
>>49001627
>>49001463
>>49001421
Perhaps technos should be to hackers as adepts are to mages. Distinctly meatspace uses with some unique Matrix powers.
>>
>>49001627
It very well does, but only at the very last step.

The question is, what would make a TM sufficiently different from a decker for you?

I feel like the basic concept of a Technomancer is, that he has a natural connection to the matrix. He is part of the matrix and the matrix is part of him.

I feel like technomancers should be more like Matrix-faces, if that makes any sense. Using their report with all things digital to seduce ICE or befriend it.
Not just deck, but without a deck.

And with the upcoming themes of AI, there could open a real niche for that archetype.
Not just deck, but without a deck.
>>
>>49001682
With special bonuses for using/exploiting technology in meatspace? The decker is the guy to find paydata or scrub evidence off a system, but the technomancer is the guy to live-edit himself out of all camera feeds, or hijack a car with a touch?

The problem is that I think that there's just very little actual space to develop a technomancer. Nobody has any ideas that can be made inu specifics - they just have vague notions of how their feel is supposed to be different.
>>
>>49001755
>report
Rapport.
>>
>>49001755
Isn't that kind of what they already are with Sprites? They negotiate with a Sprite and the sprite acts on their behalf?
>>
>>49001801
Kinda, yes. Expanding upon this could provide the contrast to a classical decker, people seem to be lamenting.

I am sure, that people will start complaining that it is too similar to a conjuring mage in the matrix.

But that is the first idea coming to mind, that fits the spirit of technomancers in my opinion.

If anyone has more extravagant idea, they are welcome to come forward.
>>
I feel a technomancer should be magneto. He gets bonuses the more complex the car he is throwing at you is.

And free spirits should be beetlejuice.
>>
>>49001874
Free spirited free spirit, would be quite a mouthfull
>>
>>49001851
>>49001874
>>49001682

Not to be that guy that says 4e did it better, but the mesh realities echo really should be a core gameplay element of the techno. Hot SIM VR without being catatonic in the real world is a huge enough feature on its own to distinguish techno.
>>
File: CGL Embezzlement Apology.png (558KB, 1045x763px) Image search: [Google]
CGL Embezzlement Apology.png
558KB, 1045x763px
>>48999548
>>48999604
>>48999674
>>48999708
>>48999677
>>49000626
According to CGL and a few of the freelancers who spoke up afterwards, they were finally paid, though some of them were waiting literally years from when they did the work to when they got their paychecks. This whole thing went down at the end of 4e, which had a very obvious effect on the quality of the books. SR4A is the last big book that went out before the gouging got so bad that staff and freelancers left in droves, leaving us with only shitty writers who would do anything to stay.

A couple of my favourite tidbits
1) At one point they lost all their warehouse staff, and the wife of one of the remaining editors was pressed into service sending out books

2) Bull owes his current position to vigorous white-knighting on the internet, protecting Loren Coleman from those mean SR- and BT-hating trolls who wanted him to stop embezzling. Same with Hardy, who staunchly declared he didn't notice the books were a million dollars out of whack and that the payroll clerks who said he wanted them to cook the books were lying, as were all the freelancers who says Hardy lied about checks being sent to them.

3) There's another Loren Coleman out there, some paranormal research guy, who had to put up a notice on his website saying he's not the CGL Coleman and please stop sending him messages

4) Coleman not only didn't go to jail, he maintained his position at CGL and AFAIK never gave the money back. Allegedly they were going to work it out, but considering that he had spent the money on a mansion where he still lives, and a bunch of other stuff, and that CGL (while paying on time) now pays even less to the very few people still willing to work for them, it seems he walked away scott free.
>>
File: Coleman_Draws_Cumulative.jpg (38KB, 715x508px) Image search: [Google]
Coleman_Draws_Cumulative.jpg
38KB, 715x508px
>>49002699
And some graphs of the theft. If you're wondering how he did it, apparently at this company nobody thought it unusual that the company accounts were not being held in corporate accounts and investment portfolios, but in the private account of one of the board members. And given that CGL never reveals how many people even own part of the company, let alone the identities of owners, it's impossible to know who else might have been involved.
>>
I remember 4e had bioware that lets you graft yourself a metagetic quality straight from SURGErs. Does that exist in 5e?
>>
File: Coleman_Draws_Individual.jpg (96KB, 899x439px) Image search: [Google]
Coleman_Draws_Individual.jpg
96KB, 899x439px
>>49002751
I will never understand why Tops didn't yank the licenses from CGL around 2010. Several other groups, like the guys who owned Cthulhutech and Eclipse Phase (which CGL was printing) pulled out because CGL wasn't paying them. Tops was not being paid for things like overseas sales, CGL was just pocketing all the money that Pegasus was handing them with the expectation that it was being passed up the line, and frankly the books were fast becoming garbage. I guess sales were somehow good enough that Tops didn't care that they were being cheated out of thousands of dollars.
>>
File: Catholic Mexican Mage.jpg (324KB, 867x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Catholic Mexican Mage.jpg
324KB, 867x1280px
>>49002782
I don't think so, but it might be under Transgenics in Chrome Flesh.
>>
>>49000307
oh that was an interesting read, thanks anon. I like the idea in principle, it just seems to be odd that hackers can always edit brains. Unless I missed something, not having a DNI going means no signal input - so no brain scan.

Cool system though. Definitively adopting some of that.
>>
>>49002835
Unfortunately, they are only cosmetic. But I guess they DID tone down SURGE qualities in 5e and could easily be replicated by various bioware scattered through all the books.
>>
File: CGL Distribution.jpg (389KB, 1150x386px) Image search: [Google]
CGL Distribution.jpg
389KB, 1150x386px
>>49002796
The one shining light I can see in this is Phil DeLuca, a CGL co-owner who released a lot of the data about the money that was being stolen.

An unmentioned dark stain is Randall Bills, the guy most active in covering it up. He doesn't appear to have been embezzling himself and making money, he just did Coleman's dirty work of carrying out wheelbarrows of cash and telling people to be quiet.
>>
>>49002851
>can always edit brains
that's the thing: they can't. The reason you have a commlink is that the commlink fights against any changes they want to do by disrupting the signals. Most people in EotM have commlinks that, while not very powerful have high firewall and good Biofeedback defense and AdBlocker programs to defend themselves.
>not having a DNI going means no signal input
the commlinks interface wireless with your brain using it as a gigantic wetware CPU. In the same way enemy commlinks can interact with you. One of the programs is Jingle which is simply broadcast in the entire store and wants to change your thoughts to "You want the new AzSoy Soyburrito" or "You are interested in our offer of high quality trid stations"
>no brain scan
your brain can be read wirelessly by scanning for the magnetic waves you produce. Your commlink helps obscure it.
>>
>>49003030
That's dumb.
>>
>>48999407
>filename

I don't see any time stopping.
>>
>>49003540
Wrong Dio. Sheet is best Dio.
>>
New GM. Where can I find the firewall ratings for things that aren't decks or Comlinks? I've just been using firewall=device rating but I didn't know if they had their own numbers somewhere else.
>>
File: 1437943855745.png (890KB, 1280x1215px) Image search: [Google]
1437943855745.png
890KB, 1280x1215px
>>48999407
Why points in Animal Handling?

Also, pull a point from INT or REA and put it in BOD; you need an odd number for the break point.

Something weird with your tradition- says your resisting drain with WIL+RES. And get more mannequins or something; one is not going to cut it. That vessel will be shredded fast.
>>
>>49004218
He needs to ride the tiger.
>>
>>49003030
I guess that's was my stumbling block then - "scannig the magnetic waves you produce" kind of requires a lot of equipment, neuroimaging wise. Even with infinite processing speed it's a staggering task. I got that if there's a connection - you hack through the commlink, the commlink is connected to the brain with a DNI of some sort, that system-software is easily send-recieve two way because it's already wired into the brain through some FancyFutureTechnology Send something to the commlink and it'll go straight to your targets amygdala, no fuss. Or if they're in VR with a datajack on something wireless, go through that. That's cool, I like that.

Just hacking into someone's cortex with your commlink from 3 meters away (the signal strength of a metahuman brain being 0 = 3 meters ) is the "Wait what?" for me. Speaking as a neuro / psych person it's sort of a hard problem. What exactly is the commlink I'm using to do this sending out? Electric induction at that range? Magnetic changes? How am I targetting the neurons I'm targetting? That's basically impossible with any currently known medium of physics, I'm somehow generating an electrico-chemical charge inside a brain by transmitting data at it. It's literal mindcontrol rays from my phone. Using a program that I'm likely to have downloaded from the internet.

That seems a bit like the end of civilization since every wage-slave in the Sixth World just had their free-will obliterated by corporate PR departments, even if their firewall is really good ("This firewall to work against all intrusion attempts, except by legally sanctioned Evo represenatives" comes to mind too)

Hm.

Thanks for the link, I think I'll adopt a few of the things and definitively include some of the cooler programs for effect. Maybe with a clause that without a DNI you can't use ones targetting brainware or some such.
>>
>>49003599

Best DIO is timestopping DIO, not horsey Dio.
>>
>>48999593

HareBrained put out Necropolis, recently.

It sucked.

They're also working on a Battletech game, which looks alright.
>>
>>49004208
All matrix stats are just the Device Rating unless explicitly stated otherwise. You got it right.
>>
My player wants to play a technomancer
Im not really familiar with technos how do i make them good or at leazt good enough? And how do the use programs?
>>
>>49004764
Just tell them to play a decker instead.
>>
>>49004764
Tell them to get Cyberdeck headware with lots of AR initiative and the Go Big or Go Home quality. Mundane technomancer achieved.
>>
>>49004782
>>49004843
I suggested that and he was against it.
"Sprites are cool and its like im a mage but with the internet"

If his character is too shitty ill have him re-roll s new one
>>
>>49004926
>"Sprites are cool and its like im a mage but with the internet"
he cannot be trusted, you have to purge him.
>>
>>49004926
Literally had the same discussion last thread. Lurk moar
http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/discussion/42995/technomancers-in-5th-edition
>>
>>49005011
Its a shame data trails was such a huge fuck you to Technomancers. Almost all the problems they had in core still exist today.
>>
File: 1449268027863.jpg (576KB, 750x656px) Image search: [Google]
1449268027863.jpg
576KB, 750x656px
>>49005387
The plan is for a technobook with all the goodies they could use, reinforcing the divide between deckers and technomancers. Putting the Resonance Realm stuff in DT was a mistake, IMO.
>>
File: spmw01.jpg (37KB, 629x474px) Image search: [Google]
spmw01.jpg
37KB, 629x474px
What does a mundane runner need to consider when he is going against a Mage.

Is there any helpful gear? tested and true strategies ?

How does on geek those mojo freaks in the most reliable way ?
>>
>>49005902
Geek the mage first is a tried and true way to ensure your team makes it out of combat alive
>>
>>49005902
Specifiy with enough damage in one turn. Harassing them by setting them on fire is pretty good to
>>
>>49005997
>>49006033

But... HOW ?
>>
>>49005011
Ok so this is good shit. And sorry man i was doing a field op for a couple weeks first thread in weeks.
>>
>>49006051
Spot the guy who is glowing. Have everyone point a gun at them.
Go cyclic.
>>
>>49006051
With explosives. Every problem can be solved with explosives.
>>
>>49006051
If they're wearing robes, probably a mage. Shoot them lots. In the face.
>>
>>49005902
>>49006051
You don't know what an individual mage is capable of (unless you have done some fucking fantastic legwork and gotten their spell list), so you have to make sure they don't have time to do something you don't expect and aren't prepared for.

Surprise is the obvious way to do that. Car bomb, sniping, poisoning their pillow, a drone on the street that suddenly divebombs them, even a garrote at a fancy party will do it.

The next way to do it is to make the mage unable to respond because they don't know what's happening. Redirect the calls from security, lock them in the elevator, seduce them so they're balls-deep when they should be on duty, fuck with GridGuide and get them stuck in traffic halfway across the city. This can be easy if you have a decker, or hard if the mark knows something's wrong and can send a spirit out. It'll eat up a service for long-range work, and the spirit won't respond well to changing events (because the mage can't use new services and give it new orders), but it's the flaw with playing keepaway.

The last thing is to use the mage against himself. It's axiomatic that a mage uses magic, and usually they try to solve all their problems with magic. Put a locked door in their way, and they'll use Corrode to get through, instead of searching for the key. Two upsides for this. The first is that the mage will weaken themselves with drain, which makes other strategies more viable -they may even decide to cut and run if a roll goes bad and they eat 5 stun. The second is that magic is both obvious and regulated. If a mage is walking around throwing magic left and right, people are going to notice. If they're a wagemage on extraterritorial ground, that's not a huge thing (though it will put the wageslaves to flight). If they're on neutral and unfamiliar ground, though, it means that Lone Star or another PD will be by shortly. When that happens, they have made a new enemy and you can fade away as another mundane face in the crowd.
>>
>>49004267
>>49003599
These niggas get it. Lock up dem wolves mang.

Although to be fair, maybe Bowie would be a better name?
>>
File: AlexDenton_female.jpg (199KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
AlexDenton_female.jpg
199KB, 1600x1200px
How would you fine folks go about emulating Paul/J.C/Alex Denton?

Prototype Transhuman and Biocompatibility (Cyberware) seem like a given, however augmentation does not play well with Technomancers and some of the abilities displayed by the Denton's (Alex in particular) might be better conveyed with Technomagic.

I'm more used to making Street Sams and Mages, never tried to make a decker/techno character before so I'm at a loss.
>>
What are some fun ways to fuck your team over?
Being secretly a bug spirit or shit like that.
>>
>>49007154
Bring them highly out of their comfort zone. Fish out of water. See how they cope. If they are chromed murder machines that solve everything with bullets, make them do something adorable and hilarious.

>Team has to accompany the bratty 14 year old son of a johnson to the amusement park as bodyguards/babysitters

>The team has to steal the recipe collection of a world-famous chef. Turns out he keeps all of them in his mind

Something like that.
>>
>>49007077
Techno can totally roll with some augmentation, just gotta watch your res loss. A good way to do it if you needed a bunch of augs would be keep a low res (2) and buy it up every time you lower it. Every time you submerge you increase your max res so you can get it up as high as you like when you are done augmenting.
>>
>>48999543
Uh, you know Catalyst published 4e and 5e, right? And not 3rd edition?

>>48999439
3e is old school cyberpunk. Everything is wired, and some of the tech will seem outdated by what we have today. The rules can be a little clunky as well, but that's par for the course for Shadowrun anyway. You might also have a harder time finding a group if you're not running.
>>
I need some GM help /srg/. Building shadowrun encounters makes me consider some weird shit.

Here is the basic concept for the run I want to build. Some eco terrorists are trying to raid a corp warehouse to grab some dirt and then blow it up. They want to knock out the power first, but not only does the building have a contract with the city power, but they have also paid for a secure underground line to a backup generator offsite. They don't have the manpower to hit both the warehouse and the offsite backup power, so in comes the players.

Problem is, I'm not sure what that would be like. Anyone know anything about power plants that could tell me a bit about how this shit is structured and how it could be disabled?
>>
>>49008833
Depends on the type of power. Hydroelectric can make for an interesting one because breaking into a dam and sabotaging a bunch of turbine generators can be tricky. Tidal generator similarly so without requiring a damn. Wind farms and solar plants each offer some outdoors options. Nuclear reactors could be house to deep underground and arcologies. And traditional fossil fuel factories would really just be a series of generators powered by an enormous furnaces.

And let's not forget the option of bound lightning spirits.
>>
>>49007077
>augment vision
>plant a bomb
>???
>lemon lime
>>
>>49005902
You point a gun at them and keep pulling the trigger until they're dead or you need to reload. Then you reload and repeat until there are no mages left.

No special considerations at all, really.
>>
>>49005902
Three Words:
FAB
>>
>>49009477

Ok I know what you mean, but I read that as Fuel Air Bomb, which works against mages too in all fairness.
>>
File: just as a suggestion.jpg (31KB, 419x261px) Image search: [Google]
just as a suggestion.jpg
31KB, 419x261px
>>49009766
>>
File: blackpool2003map.jpg (333KB, 1400x567px) Image search: [Google]
blackpool2003map.jpg
333KB, 1400x567px
>>49007253
> amusement park

For some reason, I've always wanted to have a Mr. Johnson meet the runners at an amusement park.

Just do the negotiations on a roller coaster or the Pirates of the Caribbean or something.
>>
>>49009927
The teacup rides are clearly the negotiation hotspots, senpai.
>>
>>49009927
So do it. Not every Johnson comes up wearing a suit and a well-practiced peer-review researched smile.
>>
>>49009927
>>49009962
Yeah, go for it. Have the johnson slowly spin with the team face in the teacups, discussing details, while 10 bodyguards in mascot costumes keep an eye on things.
>>
File: 2nd.jpg (262KB, 890x1198px) Image search: [Google]
2nd.jpg
262KB, 890x1198px
>>49008000
>Everything is wired, and some of the tech will seem outdated by what we have today

I miss the aesthetic of the good old days. None of this wireless crap. Back in my day we stuck wires in our skull! or sometimes our cynereyeballs if we were trying to be discrete! Plugged those wires right into our heads and plugged em right into our Fuchi Decks. By ghost I bet you never even HEARD of Fuchi Industrial Electronics!

And we listened to our neo-anarchist hyper rock gods and goddesses like Maria Mercurial, none of this super synthesized retrotechno dubsteppin junk.

And we watched our Wyrm Talk with good ol' Big D (rest his soul) talking about insightful stuff like Metahuman rights, and his trip to the pinball museum and his favorite cat videos on the matrix. None of this shitty stuff kids are simsensing these day.

And shit posting on the Shadowlands, Matrix was no fun post crash without the Shadowlands.

And we dyed our mohawks pink, and our stuffer shacks had Chiller Thrillers holding em up... and... and Get off my lawn you stupid kids! Wheres mydamn T-250?!
>>
>>49009766
Hardly anyone else's problem when your personal acronym list doesn't match up, though, is it?
>>
>>49010528

No, I just thought it was amusing that I thought of something else that fit both the acronym and the situation rather than what was intended. Admittedly using a fuel air bomb to take out one mage might be a little bit of overkill though.
>>
>>49010612
>a little bit of overkill though.
chummer, repeat after me
There
Is
No
Such
Thing
As
Overkill

If you can't be 100 % sure that he's dead, how can you sleep soundly?
>>
So I wanna get into 5e Shadowrun, but the character sheets are shit for printing. Way too small with too much margin, and changing the layout doesn't fix it. Anyone have good character sheets, or at least ones without the subtle background of the original?
>>
>>49009026
I don't suppose the generator controls would be accessible through the rest of the power plants systems, or even wirelessly? How are these things normally accessed for maintenance? A control panel with an access code or just a huge fucking switch?

This might seem excessive but my players take prep very seriously and tend to ask a lot of questions. I also expect they might try and sabotage it without destroying it
>>
>>49010886
I guess you have one, most likely secured, access point in the facility from which you can start, slightly regulate and stop it. It will most likely be through a wired connection in case of jamming, in which the wires will most likely be laid so that they don't likely break. Further controls should be at the generator themselves, which include more extensive controls.
People with the permission to access it give an key file/access code to the maintenance workers for temporary access, though there may possibly be an override installed to let someone through in an emergency.

Keep in mind though that
A) I'm not arguing in perfect fluff/crunch compliance and
B) I am not a trained electrician/engineer/maintenance worker/anyone else with extensive experience in this stuff. I'm not even a novice. Everything here should be taken with a salt mine.
>>
>>49010697
Only "open fire", and "I need to reload".
>>
>>49000308

Depends if the freelancer who just got fired was working on it or not.
>>
>>49011178
Grains of salt or no it's still helpful, thanks mate. My players are not electricians either so this should be good enough. It's in Seattle so I'm thinking of making it a small plant on the coast with some tidal generators that can be hacked into or sabotaged. I'd forgotten tidal generators were even a thing
>>
File: Catrina.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Catrina.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Posted last thread, got no feedback. Can anyone give some input on this sheet, whether I did anything wrong or not?
>>
Would an ex security spider make a good PC?
>>
>>49012346
Yes, it's good for both Deckers and Riggers.
>>
What's the best existing alternative to Shadowrun given that I don't want to support Catalyst by buying their product or encouraging its popularity?
>>
>>49012217
Immediate thing that occurs to me is that you technically should have drop some nuyen on the casemod upgrade to have the yellow and Orange cyber-limbs, not much like the bare minimum amount. You may want a rank or two of heavy weapons for the underslung grenade launcher but otherwise looks like a fairly cookie cutter Pink Mohawk Street Sam. I kind of feel like Weaver's loyalty should be lower, and maybe his influence higher, although would mean he is a pretty big deal (or works for someone who is).
>>
>>49012697
Sadly there really isn't one cyberpunk is a bit of a dead genre as RPGs go, you're really left with home-brewing through another system like GURPS. Personally I've been fiddling around with building cyberpunk rules using the chronicles of Darkness rules, and I think you could adopt shadowrun for it if you tried.
>>
>>49012699
>technically should have drop some nuyen on the casemod upgrade to have the yellow and Orange cyber-limbs
Basic chrome or matte colours are included in price. Bright metallic orange cyberlimbs would be casemods. Orange and yellow, not so much.
>>
>>49012761
Interface Zero, Technoir, Headspace, actually Cyberpunk 2020. That's off the top of my head. Really different games though.
>>
File: 1629833.jpg (159KB, 700x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1629833.jpg
159KB, 700x1050px
>>49012697

You could take a look at The Sprawl if you like Apocalypse engine games.

I think Blades in the Dark is supposed to get a cyberpunk/near future sci-fi themed hack as part of the stretch goals. But that'll be a while.

Some might disagree with me, but Traveller has the tech (augments, hacking, tacticool-able guns,etc), sometimes brutal combat, and potentially setting (on the right planet or with a custom setting) to do Cyberpunk of a sort.

Technoir is an interesting system, but its typically more about detective stories than paramility quasilegal black ops.
>>
>>49013104
>quasilegal
Not in your wildest dreams, chummer.
>>
>>49012697
In setting, or in system?
>>
>>49013104
>Quasilegal
What weird shadowruns are your team doing?
>>
>>49013155
>>49013178

yeah, not sure I was thinking there
>>
>>49013005
Well I would then also recommend Corporations from Brutal games, it's an interesting post-cyberpunk setting, with aliens and telepaths. It's a much more streamlined system than Shadowrun, though not perfect as melee is a bit overpowered.
>>
File: rsc2YVQ.gif (2MB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
rsc2YVQ.gif
2MB, 450x253px
I'm playing a weapon specialist and I've just discovered I have 18 karma to spend (not during character creation, far after)
Any reccomended qualities or should I just get like a point in a bunch of skills I don't have points in, what little there are?
>>
>>49012697

The Sprawl, Eclipse Phase, Interface Zero, building something else yourself in FATE or another engine
>>
>>49013411
Cyber or Adept?
>>
>>49013104
>paramilitary quasilegal black ops.

Is this truly necessary for a cyberpunk RPG though? Sure, it's part and parcel of Shadowrun, but if you're going to make a cyberpunk RPG, why limit it?
>>
File: Dev 4Chan.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Dev 4Chan.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49013556
Cyber.
I realized that my GM allows for the 1 karma=2k NY during our careers just now as well. Should I use that, get some amount of nuyen on top of my 19k?

Here's chara sheet for information. I'm aware it's not terribly optimized/good, but I didn't/still don't really care about that, just kinda stuck.
>>
>>49013559
They were specifically asking for a Shadowrun substitute.
>>
>>49013812

Ah well fair enough then. I'd like to see more done with the cyberpunk genre though. Has there been a cyberpunk sitcom, for example?
>>
>>49013937
It would have to be a black comedy.

Everyone gets sent to a re-education camp in the end and are never heard from again.
>>
>>49007077
Chrome Flesh has plenty of Nanomachines. The fun ones are the data-storing ones, since you can technically run video games and perhaps programs (GM willing) as now you possess an internal storage to draw the games from. But then again, you can just hold a chip with a program in it with skinlink. Having both lets you copy files directly into your bloodsteam though.

I guess the only essence cost you'll have is the optional nanomachine hive, but you can have nanos with no hive, albeit you have to replenish them once in a while externally.
>>
>>49013937
>>49014064
Season 1 is wageslaves. Season 2 is those wageslaves going shadowrunnner. Season 3 is prison.

Wait, this is just The Wire, but cyberpunk.
>>
>>49009766
Fuel Air Bombs tend to work against everything, really.
>>
>>49013640
You seem to use a lot of Ares weaponry, you could get Brand Loyalty (Ares). also your demolitions dicepool look dangerously small, although it'd probably take a whole lot more than 18 karma to get that to a comfortable level.
>>
>>49014064

Why would it have to be black comedy?
>>
>>49014145
I honestly doubt I'll need demolitions in this campaign at all, which is... it's just depressing.
Brand Loyalty (ares) is worth considering.
I was actually looking at the Ares sniper, so that's something.
>>
File: breaker.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
breaker.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49014271
>>
>>49014297
?
>>
File: Fuck yeah Bruva.gif (422KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck yeah Bruva.gif
422KB, 640x480px
>>49009927
>>49009952
>>49009962
>>49010045

Consider this fucking stolen, one of my players is the face but is non magical and very non combat oriented, so giving him neat meeting would be great on his end
>>
>>49014312
didn't mean to link to anyone
I don't know if this character is good or not
his backstory is he's taking care of his sick mom so he started running.
>>
>>49001851
>>49002195
I think that would work really well. Effectively make technomancers better at doing subtle and tricky things while deckers are better at raw force.

Maybe technomancers should have access to some methods that let them get very limited control of a system but at a lower risk than hacking it directly like a decker.

Technomancers could be all about gently nudging the matrix into doing what they want rather than manhandling it into submission.
>>
>>49014870
I realize now looking at the actual rules for technomancers that they already do a lot of this stuff. I really need to actually look at the rules before judging them.
>>
>>49014431
If he's looking after his sick mum shouldn't he have the dependent negative quality? Also you do not have enough armour.
>>
What do 'protruding eyes' look like? I'm not clear on how Oni appear.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>49015717
Not this bad, but similar in concept. They still have eyelids that can close over their bulging eyes.
>>
>>49015717
Hyperthyroidism.
>>
Post qt orc girls for me to jerk it to, please
>>
>>49016154
>Post qt orc girls for me to jerk it to, please

Isn't there a thread on /d/ for that shit anon?

Besides, Troll girls are the only qt girls in shadowrun
>>
So, uh, hey chummers.

So, hypothetically speaking, if you found yourselves involved in some "high profile negotiations" near and around Tir?

And that someone that used to be a former Prince gave you an ultimatum of join up or die, breaking one of the tenets of the shadowrunner... and now you have a Ritual killswitch that the ex-Prince can trigger at any moment?

How would you get out of that? Given that my options were either that or a hole in the ground? Is there a way to break a ritual connection? Or shield yourself from it?
>>
>>49016730
>Ritual killswitch
Eh?
>>
>>49016730

Counterspelling? That won't help much.

Either you kill the Prince or you give your team the finger and say "Yo home to Bel Air"
>>
>>49016831
>>49016842

So, the ex-Prince is Hestaby, so I might be SOL on killing her.

I more meant something along the lines that I change myself enough so that I am no longer the person that I was when I signed the contract. Wouldn't that work?
>>
>>49016923
How about, "What do you think a ritual killswitch is?"
>>
>>49016923

Unless you call a Shedim to take your body over I don't see how. Magic is connected to your soul, Omae, ain't nothing you can do to remove that shit.

Now, if you can't just do what the all powerful super dragon says and you don't want to sell out your lame runner friends then you need to tell them what's up. And then you need to find a way to locate whatever piece of you Hestaby has locked up for ritual purposes and take or destroy it. That means either infiltrate one of the dragon's many facilities or you bomb it into ash. Both are really fucking hard.

Just do what the big scary lizard says, that's what I say. But if you're dead set on fighting it that's your option.

Also no matter how this goes you have my sympathies
>>
File: joel speechless.png (201KB, 376x359px) Image search: [Google]
joel speechless.png
201KB, 376x359px
>>49016923
>So, the ex-Prince is Hestaby, so I might be SOL on killing her.

What the actual fuck did you get yourself into anon?
>>
>>49017053

For rl context this is like you literally came on an anonymous message board and said "So I was talking to Vladimir Putin and he told me to be his bitch forever or he'll have me disappeared."
>>
>>49017026
>>49017053

I already told them. They owe me pretty big, and since I'm both their face and decker AND generally the ideas gal, and we literally just saved Larry Zincan from being assassinated by the Brat'mal, we're fine on that aspect.

Of course, the problem is that I'm a drake. Now normally, that's not too big of a problem, except that Brat'mal coup? Yeah, so as it turns out, they were going to do it by infecting lots of people with a modified Krieger strain, that instead of making ghouls made banshees out of ANY metatype.

One slight problem. So the modified HMHVV jumped into me because I disregarded wearing gloves when I was digging around in a corpse pit. Now, I didn't get infected, but because the virus was modified (this is what our mage said, so take it with a grain of salt), it learned how to make people into drakes.

I uh. May have accidentally attacked my sisters and another runner in my transformative bloodlust, and while the infection was stopped... well, let's just say that I'm very very hungry all of the time. And did you know that HMHVV is part Horror? Or rather remnant of a Horror?

Anyway, so after we saved the High Prince, we were recovering in the hospital, and Hestaby showed up. She either told me that I would serve or I would die. I offered her the third option of giving her my ritual samples so that if the virus overtakes me, she can kill me.

But I definitely don't want that hanging over my head, so uh. Yeah, I need to fix that, somehow.
>>
>>49017198

Last I checked Putin isnt a gigantic flying reptile with the ability to explode my brain with the blink of an eye..

yet.
>>
>>49017211

Holy shit you're a face decker were-drake?!

I'm starting to think your group isn't big on lore. Or I just don't know a lot and your group is REEEEALLY big on lore...

Anyways, if you offered yourself to Hestaby as a token of goodwill then as a Face your word is your bond and your reputation is on the line. Best case scenario you steal back your shit and keep yourself from getting melted before your next full moon or whatever, but it's Hestaby so she tracks you down and uses her considerable connections in the underground to make your word worth exactly diddly plus squat. You'll never work as a runner again.

So again, I say just accept that a 90000 year old magical lizard sociopath has parts of your flesh and trust that 90000 year old magical lizard sociopath to not use it as leverage to make you do whatever she fucking wants until you inevitably die, which will be soon because you're apparantly a half-dragon/half-vampire now and I don't even fucking know what is that even possible how
>>
>>49017320

We are big on lore. In fact the mage specifically said that "No, no, go right ahead. Drakes are immune to HMHVV!"

To be fair, I started out as a face-decker. It snowballed from there.
>>
Favorite mentor spirit, go!
>>
>>49017722
Coyote
>>
File: dragonslayer.jpg (129KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
dragonslayer.jpg
129KB, 1000x750px
>>49017722
Dragonslayer
>>
Soon to be new player here. Haven't even build a character yet. I will be joining a group on SR5. And I have a few questions, since I'm interest in playing Technomancer...

Is Technomancer the "buffer" of the party? Seem like making Machine Sprite doing Diagnostics to assist everyone on everything is their strong point.

If it come down to combat in meat space, should I use Machine Sprite do Diagnostic on my weapons? Is it better to just have a few drone around and use Diagnostic on the drone's AI?

Also is technosamurai actually viable build?
>>
>>49017722
Hephaestus
>>
>>49017743
Okay, what would the boons for a Metal mentor spirit be?
>>
>>49017829
>This most heroic of mentor spirits is also the most fun loving. Though he fights to protect his own against all dangers, he loves a good party even more. He is a big brother who takes a friendly interest in everything his family does. Though sometimes naïve, he makes a staunch friend and a deadly enemy. The dragons he slays have changed with the times: current beasts include crime, pollution, corruption, and of course, actual dragons. Dragonslayer fights hard and plays hard. Once he has given his oath, he never breaks it. A Dragonslayer magician behaves with honor and respect, and demands the same from those around him.
>All: +2 dice pool modifier for one social skill
>Magician: +2 dice for Combat spells, preparations, and rituals.
>Adept: 1 free level of Enhanced Accuracy (skill) and 1 free level of Danger Sense
>Disadvantage: If you break a promise, whether by choice or by accident, you take a –1 dice pool modifier to all actions until you make good on your promise.
>>
>>49017722
Dragon

>>49017743
fite me.
>>
>>49017823
No, Technomancer is broken to the point of being near unusable. To use drones effectively a Technomancer needs to submerge (which have to do post character creation) at least once.
Supposedly there's a technomancer sourcebook in the offing but to date CGL have proved to have handled 5e so incompetently there's doubts as to whether that will ever see the light of day. Stuff a technomancer gets from submerging, which is a big deal and costs a lot of karma, a decker can achieve with 200 Nuyen program, You'll also have a lot more luck hybridising with a samurai if you go the decker path.
>>
>>49017872
Dragons aren't necessarily dragonslayer's "dragon". Insufferable cunts usually are though.
>>
>>49017823

Technomancers are in a weaker spot than deckers, but they arent unplayable. You just need to think a bit differently.

Use sprites, always. Machine to buff your tech, Cracker to crack and a massive fuckoff fault sprite you pull out when shit hits the fan.

Complex Forms will be used rarely, save them for combos and when you absolutely need them. Puppeteer and Resonance Veil are game changers and can do some insane things depending on how strict your GM is.

Think of Technomancers as a pet class. You absolutely need a stable of sprites to work through. Teamwork is bestwork.

But until the technomancer book releases and (hopefully) gives us some more stuff to play with you WILL be weaker than a decker until you build yourself up. But its possible.
>>
>>49017852
yes, that's dragonslayer I meant actually having Heavy Metal itself as the mentor spirit. Probably
All: +2 Perform
Magician: +2 Combat spells
Adept: ??? 2 ranks of Adrenaline Boost maybe?
Disadvantage: Subtlety is not your strong suite, it takes a composure (3) test for you to try and do anything sneakily. Or wear anything that isn't studded leather.
>>
File: lemmy main (Custom).jpg (53KB, 633x354px) Image search: [Google]
lemmy main (Custom).jpg
53KB, 633x354px
>>49017925
Sounds about right.
>>
>>49009952
>>
>>49017915
Can't I just put a machine sprite in Decker's cyberdeck and help him do his job instead of competing with him?
>>
>>49017958

If you already have a Decker you probably wont need a Techno on the team. The two right now are competing and the Decker is winning because Catalyst are fucking retarded.

And you wont be able to make say, a Technosam, as easily as a deckersam, because technomancers have a lot more stats that they need to do their primary job first and if you want to keep your resonance you wont be getting a lot of 'ware.
>>
>>49017958
Yes. If your GM is nice, you might even be able to teamwork test some matrix shit together.
>>
>>49017977
Our group do random rotation of player (and sometime people bring alt character). So there might be some session without a decker.
>>
>>49017823
If you want to play a 'mancer ask your GM one thing first.

"Is it okay if I tell my Sprite to assist me whenever it can and leave it on autopilot?”

If they say yes, congratulations! with a bit of lateral thinking you can put yourself on par with a decker in the great game of matrix hacking. If not then you should just go decker, because if you need to use an additional simple action for every Matrix action to match a decker's dice pools, then a technomancer just isn't worth the effort.
>>
>>49017956
I didn't know I was making a reference. I just thought it was a funny visual image.
>>
So you cant bring the dead back to life in Shadowrun can you? Necromancy seems to be more about talking to the dead and shit.
>>
>>49019187
Nope. While characters haven't entirely ruled out the possibility, they likewise haven't supported the idea of an actual afterlife

>Necromancy is not the same as the wizards bringing back the dead as shown in the trids. Necromancy is the power and understanding of magic to resonate in human remains and bring forth memories within the bones.

Right there if you RTFM.
>>
>>49017823
see
>>49005011
>>
>>49019238
Alright cool, I also started rummaging through street magic after posting and I found a story about a guy who tried to bring his wife back to life and brought back a Shedim instead.

I ask because I'm making a mage who after losing his family tried to bring them back. I just wanted to make sure that it wasnt actually possible and I'd missed the memo.
>>
>>49019257
There's a comment in one of the 5e books (iirc) by Man Of Many Names (also iirc) that makes mention of how he's sought true spirits of the dead, and while he can't yet rule their existence out, he hasn't found anything that supports it, either.

Which I guess was there to leave it open if your group wants to do something different.
>>
Just starting a fresh 5e campaign with a bunch of newbies. I'm thinking if I should restrict the archetypes they're allowed to play while they're learning the rules.

My feeling is no technomancers and no riggers should be a given, but maybe no deckers too and I'll just run an npc one. That should be fine right?

Why is hacking always such a clusterfuck?
>>
>>49019541
Decking isn't that awful in 5e, but you need one of your players to commit to learning about five times the rules of anyone else, so it depends.
>>
>>49019541
I would recommend talking to your players about it. Explain to them, without going into the rules, why certain roles, like deckers, need a high high degree of attention from the GM to be enjoyable, and in any case it will take away from what you can give the rest of the group.
Especially if there is no player, that really really wants to be a decker, they probably will agree to keep it to a minimum/replace with an NPC.

No reason to restrict anything as GM, when the group could easily come to a consensus.
>>
>>49019629
Fair enough. Most of them don't even know what is a shadowrun bit I suppose if I take the time to explain the issues of varying rules complexity to them they could understand well enough to decide collaboratively.
>>
So, I just grabbed the 5e pdf and started doing some mental chargen although I doubt I will ever find a game in my general area.
Would a vanilla (non-augmented) Street Samurai be viable if he pumped all his resources into weapons and gear?
If not, would dabbling a bit into Physical Adept help, or would it just hamstring him even further?
>>
>>49019823
I'm more familiar with 4e than 5e, but I believe the only way to make an unaugmented sam viable is to make a Human edgelord and abuse drugs. Meaning, get as much Edge as possible and spend it to ignore limits and shit and pop cocktails of drugs to boost your stats and get more initiative passes.

He'll still be inferior to an augmented sam or a physical adept though. He can do some crazy shit a few times, augmented people can keep it up all day long.
>>
>>49019855
That much hasn't changed a great deal in 5e. If anything, the Revels In Murder quality has made Edge combat more reliable.
>>
Is sum to ten in any official material or is it just houserule that has universal status?
>>
>>49019979
IIRC it's in Run Faster, but someone check that please
>>
>>49020001
Yup. Pg.62
Thanks chombatta.
>>
>>49010750
Someone has to have really good looking printable blank character sheets, right? Can anyone help a newbie out?
>>
>>49019953
>>49019855
So what about a PhysAdept dip, then?
>>
>>49020054
Cursory glance over the net, gave me mostly variations on the standard one, with that backgroung texture.
And I can't say I have ever seen really nice ones for printing and filling out yourself in the past.

I guess Chummer5 covers most of the market for that with the nice green table ones it generates.
>>
>>49020087
Of course you also BE an adept, since getting Exceptional Quality with Human(9) has leftover special attribute, which you can either dump to Res or Mag.

Sure you'd be a shitty 2 mag/res, but it still gives you room for growth.
>>
Can someone help me explain to my GM why changing the second chance edge mechanic to not being able to reroll 5s, 6s AND 1s is a terrible idea?
>>
>>49020089
Yeah, I didn't have much luck finding any either, which is why I came here for help
>>
>>49020197
Maybe it's too early in the morning, but that sentence is fucking me up.
>>
>>49020197
Because it means that if you just fail and reroll your chance for a (crit) glitch increases
And if you already had a glitch then you can't change it
which means that you can only change (crit) glitch to glitch

If your GM does this ask him how you are supposed to stop glitches if not by the rerolls, because I can't remember any other way
>>
>>49020269

You can spend Edge to drop a critical glitch down to a glitch, but that's it I think.
>>
>>49020269
He reckons there's no risk otherwise and that you can spend edge to reroll your entire dicepool to avoid glitching
>>
>>49020344
how often does he refresh your edge?
because I allow all non successes to be rerolled, but I usually have them refresh edge after the runs or when they manage something difficult for them/awesome
>>
>>49020207
Update: someone made exactly something I was looking for, and it's in greyscale to save ink

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-JgrccGQEjpZURBeTBPQXFoQVE
>>
What's a good level of armor to shoot for in 5e if you're an adept? I'm at 23 soak when I add my body, and still feel like anything past a pistol would give me a bad day if I didn't dodge.
>>
>>49020568
Nice. Thanks for sharing, I needed this too.
>>
>>49015809
>>49016138
Sounds like a common target for basic cosmetic/corrective surgery, then.
>>
>>49019823
>Would a vanilla (non-augmented) Street Samurai be viable if he pumped all his resources into weapons and gear?
Not really, no, but if you're interested I can tell you how to make the least-unviable unaugmented combat character.

But as a general rule, they'll be strictly inferior to a real Street Sam or Adept or whatever.
>>
>>49007077
NANOMACHINES SON

But yeah Chrome flesh is pretty good.
>>
>>49020766
what would that be?
>acquire drug dealer contact
>pay him for designer grade (custom) drugs
>take aforementioned drugs
>???????????
>Profit (for getting more drugs)?
>>
>>49020405
Standard rules for now but he plans to test refreshing edge everytime your character is considered in a safe environment.
>>
>>49020766
I am, in fact, interested.
>>
>>49019823
phys adept is the way to go, but if you want to go pure mundane(no ware), i'd suggest:
Drugs. Designer drugs when you got the dosh
Edge. 7 points of edge can go a long way.
Called shots. With the right advantages, you can lower the penalties to 'reasonable' levels, and knee-capping people can really put the hurt on.
>>
>>49020943
>in a safe environment
meaning?
It seems that he's going for "Less more often" instead of e.g. "More less often", "More more often" or "Less less often"
do you know if he wants a more Pink Mohawk or Black Trenchcoat feel for this game?
>>
>>49020915
>>49020949
You need Lightning Reflexes at chargen (1+1d6 additional natural initiative), Reaction 5, Intuition 6, and be the highest-Edge Edgelord you can be at chargen (Edge 7).

Then, post-chargen, you'll be saving 100% of your XP to buy qualities like Daredevil and Revels in Murder.

That'll give you a character with 12+2d6 Initiative (enough to be functional in combat, if not amazing) and the ability to add +7 dice to a roll 7 times per run (before accounting for refreshes and refunds).

You're not going to be as good as a real Street Samurai or an Adept. Period. But you can end up as a decidedly functional combatant, at least.
>>
>>49021245
So, basically, a gimmick/minmaxing build?
Well, at least it's better than snorting ALL OF THE DRUGS. I'll take it.
>>
>>49021051
Seems like it. He said he wants it to be black trenchcoat or as my other friend put it... mirror shades.
>>
Rules wise is there any point for having bipod or tripod on an SS rifle?
>>
>>49021335
No.
>>
I want to play a fucking treeman.

Is there any way to slowly grow chopped limbs back over time other than hmmvv?
>>
>>49021428
>treeman
?
Giant metavariant?
Changeling with Bark Skin?
>>
>>49021275
Basically. The main consideration is whether you want to have Initiative at chargen (buying the Lightning Reflexes quality) or maximum Edge (buying Lucky for Edge 8). You can't have both at chargen, and they're both exorbitantly expensive post-chargen. Personally, I'd go for Lightning Reflexes so that you're at least combat-viable, but YMMV.
>>
File: shadowtech.jpg (269KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
shadowtech.jpg
269KB, 1600x1200px
So any recent news on the Lite version of the rules?
Is it going to be a leaner version of the core rules or the narrrativist monstrosity that RPG.net faggots clamoured for?
>>
>>49021759
check the archives. A few threads back we discussed it.
>>
>>49021481
Basically an ent
>>
>>49020719
No problem, dude. I figured there were plenty of others looking for something like it too. Besides, what'd be the point of calling ourselves a community if we didn't share resources?
>>
>>49021759
Narrativist garbage. It's all about the Player's "making their narration" making a GM entirely superflous.
>>
>>49020685
23 is solid. Worry about dodging at this point.

My characters typically end up in the ballpark of 16-20. Armor Jacket 12 + Ballistic Mask 2 + 3-4 Body = 17-18 soak, and that's enough to bring your average light pistol or SMG down to 1P damage before net hits. You can bring it up a bit with Sleeping Tiger instead of the Jacket and a Synergist coat; you'll probably look ridiculous, but you'll be pulling around 18-20 armor before body soak.
>>
Going in with 1 edge character. Am I going to have a bad time?
>>
>>49021759
>>49022404

I heard the "no gm" thing was optional.
>>
>>49017722
I'm partial to Dragonslayer like several others, but I also make use of Mountain. I have a self-styled "paladin" with Mountain as their mentor spirit right now. It's neat.
>>
>>49022450
Nah, Edge is mostly superfluous. Just ignore it and use it exclusively as an 'oh shit' button.
>>
>>49020685
+1 dmg = min of +3 dice to reliably soak a bit... But can still fail.

Net hit on attack = +1 dmg, invalidating another 3 of your armor dice.

Answer - 30 soak to rely on not being hurt by pistols.

Don't bother, dmg is too high in SR5 to soak without actual buckets of dice ( ares alpha explosive ammo dv burst is 15 dv = 45 dice base)

Get flashpaks and get rutheium for direct penalties to shooter, get reaction, get intuition for more dodge. Get Combat Sense. As an adept you can buy a combat sense qi foci amd get up to +6 dodge dice ( or more! ). If lucky, it negates the entire attack. If unlucky each net hit absorbed is 3 armor dice worth.
>>
>>49021275
Max edge of 8

Blitz for 1 edge to go to 5d6 init dice.

Don't even need lightning reflexes, just maintain a 2 edge "combat buffer" - which still gives 6 edge rerolls.
>>
Is it sensible to assume that mages are immune to their own spells? So for example could you cast a Fireball at point blank range and be ok? Or would you need that Shaping metamagic?
>>
Weirdest Adept specialty you've used or seen used?
>>
>>49023345
No one is immune to magic (some people are resistant, but that's different); anyone in the target area is hit, caster friend or foe. If you drop a fireball on your own head, you deserve to scorch your pubes.

There's a spell in Shadow Spells, iirc, which is basically a Fireball that goes out from the mage, not burning themselves but hitting everything around them.
>>
>>49017722
The Seducer when used on a hermetic mage.
The character won't last long but it will be a hell of a ride
>>
>>49018218
A teacup ride features heavily in an interrogation at one point in SR Storytime. Sorry to have made assumptions, anon!
>>
Are there any good sonic weapons yet? I want to weaponize jams.
>>
>>49024537
Run & Gun has the sonic rifle.
>>
>>49024537
There's one in lockdown but I don't remember if it was good.
>>
>>49024393
It just lends itself well to the juxtaposition. Because the face and johnson can sit across from each other at a table of sorts, and keep that position while spinning.

And at least, if your johnson is still working with print media, getting the mission briefing done will be a real challenge.
>>
File: Sisney.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Sisney.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>
>>49024861
Never allowed to set foot ouf of the van, except when things need to be shot.
>>
>>49025009
thats the idea yeah.
just like the player in real life
>>
>>49024861
Illegal for character generation. You have equipment above the availability limit.

And you're also entirely useless, but that's okay.
>>
Hey /srg/, 'newfag' question: what's some Basic "Fuck you, have this" cyberware/bioware for a mix of range melee street sam(mostly ranged)?
Apart from cybereyes, and wired reflexes. Already have those.
>>
>>49025302
Cybereyes aren't actually a necessity. But you have the core there; wired reflexes are THE most important thing. Reaction enhancers can support them, but are optional.

What's your character look like so far?
>>
>>49025009
I get a real grim satisfaction from playing face and just not telling 1 CHA cunts about the Johnson meet.
>>
>>49025302

I'd say a cyber limb that matches your natural strength and agility, but with various enhancements: spurs is usually a good one for melee, and you can get some things to boost RC built in too. Armour is a must too.
>>
>>49025302
Either go with Muscle Replacement (Cyber) or Muscle Toner (Bio), Agility is the attribute all meatspace combat skills use. Also as said by >>49025339, you need Reaction Enhancers.
>>
>>49025366
I'll consider a cyberlimb, but my strength/agility is something like 3/8 off the top of my head.
>>49025339
All I have is cybereyes/wired reflexes, it's why I mentioned em, I know the eyes aren't required but why not, can have smartlink.
>>49025375
Reaction enhancers are probably next.
I need to look at muscle replacement and muscle toner.
>>
>>49025574
Skills, chosen weapons, attributes, that's what I was asking about for what your character looks like. If you're planning on using throwing knives, that's very different from a sam with a katana and a SMG, which is very different from an Ares Alpha and your bare fists. They take different builds.
>>
>>49025574
>smartlink
You do know that you can simply install it into normal eyes? There's a reason it has a capacity and essence cost: capacity when installed in cyber, essence when not
>>
>>49025628
oh.
Well, shit.
I had to get low-light again since >elf, too.
That's annoying, I could have saved cash for other, more needed things.
>>
>>49024861
This is a strange char.

You maxed for weapons, but waste points maxing for clubs + unarmed + blades + guns. Total waste. 1 range + 1 melee + heavy.

Your skills are useless. Your attributes are bad - all those... But also cyberlimbs?

Qualities are just odd. Toughness?
>>
File: Jensen.png (103KB, 1053x1325px) Image search: [Google]
Jensen.png
103KB, 1053x1325px
I made Jensen out of boredom. He's pretty bland, and not that amazing, but would definitely work for someone's first character.

And actually re-reading it, I messed up. He has two pieces of bioware over availability 12, and I can only take restricted gear once. Problem is he drops into negative essence if I lose adapsin, and while I guess I could get Pain Editor later, using prototype transhuman for only .5 essence of 'ware seems like a waste.

If he wasn't so crippled by debt.
>>
>>49025863

Now, maybe something happened in the new game, but I thought Jensen's legs were meat down to about the knees?
>>
>>49025863
Jensen gets to be oddly charismatic - people open up to him and offer him opportunities left, right, and centre. Also, CASIE / Tailored Pheromones.
>>
>>49025943

Trying to find the actual notes from the Limb clinic in Detroit in DXHR, but I'm pretty sure that all that's left is a torso and his head.

He survived the blast with like, half a stump on an arm and a leg, but Sarif had them remove everything so that he could get the most performance possible.
>>
>>49026034

Found it:

"One previous operation. 6 months ago, life critical requiring full replacement of chest cavity and left arm; right arm and legs replaced at behest of employer, authority granted under terms of employment."
>>
File: Jensen Sunglasses at Night.jpg (105KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Jensen Sunglasses at Night.jpg
105KB, 1366x768px
>>49025943
>>49026031

Cybereyes are missing the protective covers. This is critical.
>>
>>49026031

The problem is the essence loss really fucks over the opportunity for that, I don't think it can translate into SR:

A social limit of 4. Tailored Pheromones are another .6 essence at 93k, too. I was trying to move my debt downwards, but clearly that's not going to happen here.

I considered giving him a slot for a cyberdeck in his head as well, as he does have the ability to hack without a device, but there's no way he can afford a deck for now. Could just be installed later.

The character has some cool places for growth: Limbs/ware can fit enhancements, weapons, etc.
>>
>>49026213
>The problem is the essence loss really fucks over the opportunity for that
It really doesn't.

-1 Social Limit (because Ess/3 round up only gives two values) isn't just offset by a nice coat or tailored pheromones, it's blown out of the water, never to be noticed again.
>>
>>49025602
Oh, Ares Predator and a stun baton are my go-tos.
Skills-wise I've got points in basically everything, but a lot in sneaking, pistols, perception, gymnastics, i'm also sort-of our teams infiltrator.
>>49025863
looks cool, but like >>49026031 said he really needs to be more charismatic.
>>
How advanced have shadowrun ads notten? Are they almost mins, control yet?

I want to make a troll prototype transhuman that is super vulnerable to advertisement. Does that sound fun to play with?
>>
>>49026284
>>49026331

Alright. Alright. Working on it. I'll come back with it fixed up later.

Too much to do, not enough nuyen.
>>
>>49026213
Have you considered going less pure cyber, more cyber-adept?

That would allow you to take Burnout's Way (treat standard grade as alpha) and go for an Improved Reflexes Qi Focus instead of Wired Reflexes.
>>
>>49026350
A specific strain of Psychotropic IC was able to directly instill brand/corporation loyalty into people it affected. If that hasn't been adapted into advertisement in a much milder form by now (this was back in 3E), I'd be shocked.

>>49026331
All right, infiltration and a pistol. Not bad. Yeah, crank up agility, in that case. Maybe check out some bioware- sleep regulator's an old favorite of mine, but there's other useful ones around too.
>>
>>49026424
Actually, come to think of it, Jensen should be using an Augmentation Bundle, too.
Takes all your cyber, treats it as one item for availability, reduces grade to standard for nuyen costs, and increases grade to alpha for essence costs. Then you get perma-wireless and an extra *0.9 essence cost multiplier tacked on.
>>
>>49026453
>If that hasn't been adapted into advertisement in a much milder form by now (this was back in 3E), I'd be shocked.
I remember reading about low grade simsense advertising effects in 4e, then going back to 3e and finding more blatant references, so that's A Thing™.
>>
>>49026453
The real question is this:
What corporation should the troll be made by and have compulsions for their ads?
I'd go for pepsico, but that doesnt exist.
>>
>>49026453
>sleep regulator
Yeah, I was looking at that myself, looked kinda cool.
That's about it for what I know about bioware, though. It just doesn't appeal to me like chrome does, so I barely looked at it.
>>
>>49026630

Things to look at in Bioware:

>Adapsin
>Wired Reflex Optimization
>Reflex Recorder
>Muscle Toner/Aug (Works with Prototype transhuman at character creation. Saves essence)

Those are my personal go-tos
>>
File: Adam Denton.png (133KB, 1050x1439px) Image search: [Google]
Adam Denton.png
133KB, 1050x1439px
I just can't get the dice pools for the social skills up there without sacrificing the essentials. I could drop unarmed and perception lower, but eh..

He has just enough essence to get an Alphaware Pain Editor. If.. Er. does bioware come in 'ware grades, RAW?

Since it doesn't fit at character creation, first pickup, karma wise, would need to be Uncanny Healer.

The cyberdeck slot in the head is there for future expansion, and is included in the cyberware suite.

I was able to work his debt down to 10.
>>
>>49026661
Oh, cool, will take a look at those.
I'm well past creation, so I can't really take that last reccomendation.
What books are adapsin and wired reflex optimization in?
Got any recommendations for increasing mental limit? Cerebral booster looks nice, but goddamn it'll take a chunk out of my money.

DM is rather obsessed with perception, in any system.
>>
>>49026767
>does bioware come in 'ware grades, RAW?
yes
>>
>>49026767
Uncanny Healer is for high essence, not low essence.

Instead of a cyberdeck, start with an Evotech Himitsu. Depending on how your GM sees it, you might even get a faraday compartment inside your skull.
>>
>>49026816
should be in Chrome Flesh somewhere
>>
>>49026816

Both of those are in Chrome Flesh. CF160/165
>>
>>49026860
>>49026871
thanks.
>>
>>49026661
5e, geneware doesn't count as bioware.
>>
>>49026913
But it is in the Bioware section in Chummer, so I can see why anon lumped it in with it. And since They're building the char is Chummer, they'll know where to look.
>>
>>49027778
True; it's a holdover from 4e Chummer. The difference is important for Prototype Transhuman, though.
>>
>>49017722
Rat shamans tend to be fun and make interesting characters.
>>
how the fuck does resisting becoming addicted work?
>>
>>49028793
With a growing sense of inevitability.
>>
>>49028793
Every 11-Addiction Rating weeks you have to make a test, Logic+Will if it's psychologically addictive or Body+Will if it's physiological addictive (make both if it's both types), at a difficulty of the Addiction Threshold. The threshold goes down one every week you don't use, but goes back up if you use even one dose at any point where it's lowered.
>>
>>49021844
Uh, excuse me? This is the Shadowrun thread. For SHADOWRUN talk. The new ruleset is part of SHADOWRUN. Do not tell someone to go elsewhere. This is the thread for SHADOWRUN discussion and the new rules are part of SHADOWRUN. It doesn't matter if it was discussed before. It can be discussed now.
>>
>>49029461
I think they meant there's nothing to say that wasn't said in that thread.
>>
>>49029461
>new
chummer, they are
A) known for quite some time
B) seen some time ago and
C) discussed some time ago

You want info about Anarchy? The old threads are also about SR and are freely available in many archives (such as desuarchive.org or warosu.org).
So if you have nothing new about it GO AND FUCKING READ THE POSTED INFORMATION.
>>
Anyone have a pdf Google dox of the 5e core Rulebook?
>>
>>49029689
Check the pastebin in the OP
Is there a reaction image like "have you tried not playing D&D" but with "have you tried reading the OP Pastebin"?
>>
File: 106421_v1.jpg (47KB, 301x320px) Image search: [Google]
106421_v1.jpg
47KB, 301x320px
>>49029461
Then I must be wrong here. I have been following the last 5 or so threads, thinking this were threads about dwarven beard braiding techniques, and not about SHADOWRUN and SHADOWRUN-related topics. Thanks for the reminder.

But really, we got some pics of premade characters. Nothing groundbreaking and no character generation. The rest is wild speculation. Speculation which is found in the archived threads as was said.
>>
Do people still think that Technomancer in SR5 play like Decker?
>>
>>49030623
People haven't thought like that since the first week SR5 came out.
At least, nobody who understands the actual system thinks like that.
>>
>>49030672
What's up with all the "Go play Decker instead" comment then?
>>
>>49029753
There's a "READ NIGGA, READ" from that scene from the boondocks with OP written on the book, but there's actually frightfully few "read the OP" pictures despite how often it comes up on /tg/ and /vg/
>>
File: original.jpg (23KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
23KB, 500x327px
>>49030771
No clue. I'd mostly think they're seeing others try to play a Techno in the same way as you'd play a Decker, and are advising them to just switch to a Decker to avoid the heartache of getting your brain blasted instead of your Deck.
>>
What does a face do with his earnings once he's got tailored pheromones and a nice suit? I can't think of anything worth getting.
>>
>>49031203
More clothes, for different situations. Fake SINs and Licenses to go with different situations. Better combat gear so they're not a dead weight when talking fails/isn't a go.

A good suit is a start, but it's not going to be appropriate for everywhere or everything.
>>
>>49031203
stuff to do stuff besides face stuff
>>
>>49031203
Clothes, disguises, bribe money, nice house, fancy car, utility agumentations, pistol with some kick, building bridges, feeding his crippling novacoke addiction, paying alimony and child support.
>>
>>49031203
He buys bioware, mage foci, or Qi Foci to also make him good at other things, usually combat.
>>
>>49031398

Other clothes don't come with +1 dice on social rolls though. Fake SINs and licenses aren't a bad idea, but the only really objectionable items I carry are my sword and my Taurus Omni-6, and I have licenses for them already.

>>49031519

A car is definitely on the list as a long term goal, but none of them seem posh enough except for the Nightsky. As for augmentations, I don't want to go too overboard due to Essense being part of the Social Limit. After Tailored Pheromones I'll have 0.3 to play with before it has an effect though.

>>49031731

What if they're not a Mage though?
>>
File: SR London stuff.jpg (239KB, 951x681px) Image search: [Google]
SR London stuff.jpg
239KB, 951x681px
Reading the old London supplement from the FASA days, there is some hilarious stuff in here.
>>
>>49031944
By Tailored Pheromones 2, you've covered the limit penalty of going to .01 Essence, and still get +2 dice. (Technically covers a little bit more, because 5/3 does not equal 2, but that's not super-massive what with the rounding.)

By the time you're a good face, losing one die from going from your Ace of Coins to a Gel-packed Armored Jacket because you needed a slightly less conspicuous (but still kinda conspicuous) getup should matter less than even the Limit Bonus. Which should be nice, but not usually not something you'd die without.
>>
>>49032186
That there is. FASA was the best.
>>
>>49026369
Keep in mind Jensen isn't an ordinary 'Runner, though- he was sponsored by a megacorp. He didn't actually have to spring for anything himself.
I'd say ignore chargen limits and go nuts on actually making him Jensen.
>>
>>49032720
I once made him in 4e, he's pretty beast, if a bit low on the IP.
>>
>>49031944
>Other clothes don't come with +1 dice on social rolls though
Always seems like someone forgets that there are more modifiers than just what you see on your gear.

Just because you have your Mortimer Suit +1 Social Modifier (or whatever) doesn't mean that going into the Barrens and hanging with the locals is going to give you a net social dice pool bonus. You'd have an easier time wearing something they can relate to and getting Social Modifiers from that.
>>
>>49031944
Also, get licenses for things you want to DO, not just things you want to not get busted FOR.

Having someone in the group that can turn in those ghoul ears (carefully packaged) for a bounty is fucking cred nuyen, chummer. Think a little, read a little, and you'll find more to dig into.
>>
>>49032720
High Life priority (AABCC, no availability limits) plus Prime Runner (100k/150k/210k/325k/500k ¥, 35 karma, & 35 karma in pos/neg qualities) fits Jensen pretty well.
>>
>>49032186
>that food section

Bonger here, this is absolute tosh. The bloody cads have never heard of Sunday lunch.
>>
Is there any info on Mississippi in Shadowrun? I'm looking to play a good ol' boy merc turned runner.
>>
>>49035571

>mississippi runner

You better be the fucking getaway driver if you know what's good for you boi.

(Also you should endeavor to be at least a little piggish looking)
>>
>>49035680

He's the mage actually. I was thinking more proud, well mannered and ready to glass anyone who badmouths his home.

He ended up in the Aztlan-Amazonian War fighting for the Amazonians because he wanted to kick some Azzie ass, and lets just say it didnt go well..
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.