[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 14

File: Generic General.jpg (720KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Generic General.jpg
720KB, 1000x1000px
Old thread, dead thread
>>48845514

It's boardgame time.

Resources:
http://pastebin.com/PkAVzU3T

So guys, what are your thoughts about Gencon?

Things you were hyped to hear about?

Things you were sad to not hear anything about?

Things you wish hadn't happened/happened differently?

Also, most recent game played and how was it?
>>
Has anyone looked at Unfair on KS? I like the quick delivery time, but I suppose we'll see if they can deliver

>inb4 kikestarter
>>
I'm looking for a conquest game that isn't risk. Tiny epic Kingdom, small world or something else?
Looking for it to be under two hours
>>
>>48944059
Kemet's probably the safest bet possible, but with a full five players you'll probably get close to two hours your first few plays.
Tiny Epic series and Smallwood aren't bad, but they're pretty simplistic. Still loads better than risk.
>>
>>48942656
>So guys, what are your thoughts about Gencon?

Lotta hype about games that aren't even out yet or will be announced on KS. Lots of disappointment since Seafall is getting very mixed reviews. Looking forward to Essen more. The only game I'm interested in that was on the hype-meter was Lotus and Heart of Crown.

>Also, most recent game played and how was it?

A Prophecy of Dragons in TIME Stories. Great expansion and can't wait to play more.
>>
>>48944256

An addendum: I was very disappointed to not hear about more expansions for TIME Stories at Gencon. The next one is debuting at Essen.
>>
>>48944356
To be fair Asmodee is pretty smart about not pushing too much at Gencon, Peterson has been a dick about flooding news last minute there for years and trying to make the show all about his shit. Same umbrella or not, you don't wanna compete for airtime,
>>
Is the updated artwork and balancing of the new version of Through the Ages worth the cost? Also considering grabbing Imperial Settlers, your thoughts on it?
>>
>>48944492
Imperial Settlers/51st State have been fun to play. I like the ramping up the resource handling engine gameplay. Found some issues at time with Imperial Settlers but I guess that just mean I haven't razed enough of my enemies locations.. I like it. Wish I could get the promotional stuff for the new master set of 51st state though.
>>
>>48944059
Kemet or Scythe. Check the reviews on both.
>>
>Thunderstone 3rd ed coming out
Can't decide if I want to buy it all the minute it comes out, or wait until they drop support after 2 years, and then announce 4th ed sometime late 2019
>>
>>48944851
>3rd ed
Oh they did that did they? Sigh.
>>
>>48944943
Yup, announced at Gencon, kickstarter coming in the next month or two, the BGG news video on it was mostly talking about how they're going to partner with gaming stores for some kind of special kickstarter packaging where you end up paying retail or w/e and the store gets their cut.
>>
>>48935795
Would you say it plays better as a casual game, a competitive game, or is it like X-Wing and works well as both? I have to admit, I like the idea of open window displays better than random boosters and this idea of setting up tournaments over it.
>>
>>48945101
Only demo'd it a couple quick times at smaller cons, and it felt more casual to me, but didn't buy in because I wasn't sure who I'd play with often enough to justify the purchase. They made the switch to blind boxes and my wavering immediately went to removing it from the possible wishlist.

The bigger problem is there's maybe 3 games all trying to occupy the same space right now, with Krosmaster/AQ/SDE all putting out campaign expansions, and having both PvE and PvP modes, the selling point on Krosmaster to me was it had these nice pre-painted models. Having to hope I get the minis I want when I buy blind drives me towards something like SDE (which although flawed I've already got the 1e of and did a meh to eh level paint job on) or AQ.

It's still a fun small arena combat system, and if you get your hands on the older sets cheap might be worth it to you. I'm the kinda guy who needs to get the most bang/buck out of my games, and ensure they're ones that'll get played more often, so I'm prolly a lil harsh on it, but I think there's better options right now.
>>
>>48945375
I've picked up the base game plus the Wakfu heroes and the Dofus characters. I do really like the models, especially as a fan of the cartoon series. It seems like good casual fun, but I do agree. Blind boxes sound awful for my play style. Luckily, there's quite a lot of content out there that's not blind boxes and I don't see myself ever spending more money on this than there are expansions at the moment.
>>
>>48944851
Not surprised, game's still very sought after and prices for new or used copies have soared since it went OOP. I was lucky to get Towers and Numenera at a reasonable price.
>>
>>48944851
>New Thunderstone Edition!
Oh cool, I've already got all of Advance but it'll be neat to see what kind of new stuff they-
>'Epic' Thunderstone is now the base game
Wow, might as well just play fucking Ascension.
>>
>>48944454

I honestly think most of the good stuff debuts or is pushed harder/more available at Essen. Gencon has become the con for Kickstarter debuts and pitches by American indie designers too poor to fly to Germany.
>>
>>48945464
>'Epic' Thunderstone is now the base game
>Wow, might as well just play fucking Ascension.

Story behind this. I really want to get into a good deckbuilder from the ground up so what's wrong with going for this one?
>>
>>48945452
Yeah if it wasn't being kickstarted I'd prolly buy a copy or two and leave them in shrink to re-sell once it goes OOP again, considering AEG doesn't seem to support any game longer than 2 years unless it's named Smash Up or Love Letter. But with the kickstarter I don't see it being near as rare a find, and as anon said >>48945464
>Wow, might as well just play fucking Ascension.

>>48945673
Part of the issue is you've got GAMA in May when it's all announced, Origins in late June/early July where they leak out a couple dozen copies, and then Gencon where games are "released" and there's only a couple hundred copies max. Add in the way BGG/TDT/SUSD/Twitter/etc all have constant news about anything upcoming..... yeah Gencon can feel flat sometimes. It's also a big issue with shipping, for whatever reason it seems harder and harder to get copies of a game delivered on time and to Indy, which just sucks if that's the con you're spending a lot of money to attend.

Seafall sold out on day 1 -20 minutes; that's great for Plaid Hat, not so great for anyone who didn't win a VIG lottery badge and pay 4x cost for it. A few companies were good enough to not sell to VIG/exhibitors, but even then if you're not at the doors at 8am to wait for 2 hrs and then make a mad dash, you might as well sleep in and wait.

There were a lot of rather good games that "released" at Gencon where the hype was already maxed/starting to fade, or they just didn't bring that many copies, but to be fair it's really hard to be a smaller publisher and bring more. Honestly though look at SUSD's first review, Go Cuckoo, which if you're even a little into HABA you knew about 5 months ago. The Networks was a really big "indie" hit, but that was full hype at Origins. Potion Explosion was big, but it's a game that released last year and CMoN picked up and took 10 months to get into wide distribution.

I've been doing Gencon 5 years now, I skip the new stuff and just demo, look for old deals.
>>
>>48945891
Regular Thunderstone is a bit like Dominion. You chose a few types of heroes, spells, weapons, items and villagers and set them in separate Village piles to buy them, strategy branches out fom card interactions.

'Epic' Thunderstone is an alt-ruleset, where you'd shuffle ALL types of cards into single piles (integrated heroes, items, weapons, etc) and built the Village using these random piles, so it was sort of a Dominion+Ascension hybrid market, and strategy depends almost entirely on what is available for sale at any given time.

That's what >>48945464 anon meant about playing Ascension instead. Some people enjoy traditional, some people enjoy epic, to each their own. I like that you can actually choose how to play the game.
>>
>>48945891
This anon summed the difference nicely.
>>48946073

I dislike the Epic variant for the main reason I dislike Star Realms and Ascension. Once you know the cards you know what's important to buy first, and then it just boils down to 'is that important card randomly available to you on a turn where you have enough resources for it' and 'do these randomly available cards synergize with these other randomly available cards'.

Epic makes availability of cards that you have available to you to be random. That means that you have no idea if getting those thieves is a good choice because maybe only heavy weapons and spell buffs are going to come out for a while and they won't synergize at all when you were hoping for some bows or food items.

It just steals so much of the ability to strategize and plan out your actions ahead of time, ESPECIALLY if playing with four players. Half the board could change before it gets back to your turn meaning you might need to wait to plan until it's your turn, which can greatly lengthen turn times.

On a more minor gripe note, it's a tremendous pain in the ass to convert back to 'normal' Thunderstone after mixing everything up for epic since you're having to separate out hundreds of cards into dozens of different decks.

Also I have my stuff sleeved and the sleeves are glossy so having huge tall fat stack of cards is going to spill over at a mere glace. And has many times.

But, if you're interested in Thunderstone I'd recommend you get it, Thunderstone is my favorite deckbuilder and you can always play it in it's normal mode and epic and decide on which you like.
>>
>>48944059
I'd recommend Kemet because it is almost pure strategy, with next to no chance. The first time my group played it we had to stop and just admire how well-designed the board was. First few plays will mostly be figuring out power tile combos to try to make and to try to deny opponents.
>>
File: TotU-Box-3D.png (852KB, 800x621px) Image search: [Google]
TotU-Box-3D.png
852KB, 800x621px
Anyone played pic related? I got it the other day and actually really enjoyed it

>>48944799
Got to play a Kickstarter version of scythe, was pretty good.
>>
>>48946413
Left off the last sentence idea there:
...so they'll be slower but once everyone is familiar with the game and gets past their analysis paralysis, even the 5 player game won't go over two hours. Especially if you play to 8 points instead of 10.
>>
>>48942656
>Gencon thoughts/hype
Not a lot of exciting announcements for me, though Arkham Horror LCG is super intriguing now that I own an Arkham universe game. Much more interested in seeing some Essen releases (A Feast for Odin, Great Western Trail)
>Most recent game played
Had a game of Keyflower tonight and enjoyed it a lot. It was a new group, and it helped that everyone had super enthusiastic personalities. I think this was the only rules-blunderless game of it I've ever played, which also helped (whenever I've mistaught a rule before, the game really suffered)
>>48944059
Small World is pretty good. I don't think TEK is good at all but some people like it.
>>48944492
>New Through the Ages
Personally I'd get the new one just to avoid supporting Eagle-Gryphon. There's you're super missing out on with the old edition though
>>
I've got to travel a lot in the next few weeks. Most of the people I'll be staying/working with enjoy cards and board games, but usually the traditional sort. What would be a good light board/card Game to travel with (I.e. doesn't take up much space in a backpack) that I could get normies into easily enough?
>>
>>48946837
Skull is pretty good, and you can play it with a regular pack of cards.
>>
>>48946837
Party/Social:
>One Night Ultimate Werewolf
>Spyfall
>Bang: The Dice Game
>Good Cop Bad Cop

Card Games:
>Bohnanza
>Diamonds
>Sushi Go
>Love Letter/Cypher
>Hanabi

Board Games
>Carcassone (A bit more of a space hog, but can be made to fit in a relatively tight package)
>Tiny Epic Kingdom/Galaxy
>Eight Minute Empire Legends
>King of Tokyo
>>
>>48946818
>avoid supporting Eagle-Gryphon
After how badly they fucked up the Tumblin Dice reprint (seriously how can you fuck up a wood board and bargain bin chessex dice?) I've added them to the vendetta list along with Mayfair, so glad I held off on ordering. Waiting a year on getting a copy of Incan Gold so I can have a friend bring me back the Iello French reprint when he's back from abroad.

>>48946837
Diamonds is pretty good, and you could prolly simulate it with a deck of cards, but the suits go 1-15 so it wouldn't be perfect. Right now I travel with a deck box that has copies of Rhino Hero and Hanabi in it, and a set of the role and voting cards from The Resistance. All great for playing with casuals and work pretty much anywhere, tho Rhino Hero works better in a bar than at the beach.
>>
>>48944799
Scythe is not 2 hours. And it's not really a conquest game, it's a Euro pretending to be a conquest game.
>>
>>48947043
this.

i was told that scythe was a conquest game but with some euro stuff mixed in. ended up being the complete opposite. played 3 games so far and all of them didnt really have too much fighting.

i ended up still having fun with the game though.
>>
How did most mediums end up with several reviewers while we're stuck with 1 site run by religous zealots who will put a game down just because it offers their wholesome good Christian idea of a family?
>>
>>48947162
Assuming Dice Tower-induced rage
>>
>>48947162
Tom's not a zealot (Sam def is though)
Besides, Dice Tower isn't the only gig in town, and board games aren't even important enough on a societal scale that we need tons of reviewers. Reviewers aren't even all that important to the hobby
>>
>>48946837
Wizard (the one that plays a lot like spades)
The Great Dalmuti
Cosmic Wimpout
print a copy of Secret Hitler?
bring dice for Liar's Dice
Bring a few packs of cards for random card games (I recommend Durak)
Love Letter
>>
>>48947162
what I want to know is how come dice tower gets those seal of approval thingies on board game boxes?
were they like the first big reviewer guys for board games and it kinda stuck after that?

this isnt any sort of hate towards them. im just new to the hobby and just keep seeing their name on lots of stuff.
also, why cant they hire some graphic designer to do their stuff? all their design work literally looks like stuff from the early days of the internet.
>>
>>48948034
Getting a good review from Vasel is a pretty solid way to boost sales, when he started doing seals of approval/excellence publishers asked if they could put them on the box. As for the graphic design they talked about it in the content creators panel at Gencon and he mentioned they're doing an overhaul of the logo. It's kinda sad how terrible the design is when you consider Jason is a graphic designer who's won awards and worked for major tv networks, but I suppose you can't just ask him to do the work for free.
>>
>>48947438
All 3 have gone on missionary work and all 3 help run jesus camps. Tom is one of the worst for hating games because they're not friendly enough theme wise.

When there's so many boardgames and such a flux in quality between them, you'd think we could get better than these 3 clowns for widespread opinions, especially with how the hobby has expanded in the years.
>>
>>48948121
>Getting a good review from Vasel is a pretty solid way to boost sales

but why him though? what exactly did he do to get that type of status?
>>
>>48948196
He posted a LOT of reviews, when no one else was, and had one of, if not the first, board game podcasts. He's also generally pretty good about telling you when something's not good (Seafall is not doing well with TDT) and even tho anon can't stop bitching about the fact he's a church goer and says certain things aren't good for his group, he does admit when a game is good even if he doesn't like it (see CitOW).

There's other review shows out there, and arguably better ones, but Dice Tower deals in volume unlike anyone else, and there's enough reviewers in their channel that you can generally find someone whose tastes match up with yours. Plus the most important thing to remember, no matter how bad the camera/sound work is, it's gotten better, and if you want high production values you get Tabletop, which is less than worthless as a review/rules overview.
>>
For the anon who was asking about Galaxy Trucker the other day, app is on sale right now all platforms $0.99, good time to grab it and get some practice in so you can destroy your friends if/when you get the cardboard edition.
>>
>>48946336
I think deckbuilders like Star Realms and Ascension are less about 'I want to do this so I need those and that' and more 'I have those and that, so I should do this'; less planning ahead, more planning according to what you previously did.

That said though, I kind of want to try the Realms series with a tableau market as in Thunderstone, no idea how to do it though.
>>
>>48948337
You could divide the cards and set them in 4 stacks, divided by faction, then add an extra action where you are given the option to send the top card on a single stack to the bottom.
>>
>>48948453
scatterbrain samefag

...so you'd have 4 stacks per faction to choose from, still a bit of randomness to it, but you'd have more control over what goes into your deck, while adding an element of taking away a card your opponent could potentially use.

It's hard to set up in a tableau because there's not enough cards of a single ship to make a stack, Star Realms is balanced around limiting the most powerful ships and bases to 1 or 2.
>>
>>48948322
For someone who loves galaxy trucker but doesn't have a tablet to play on and phone can't do it, and who already has the missions expansion, how is the app? Worth grabbing for whenever I can run it in near future? Just play the physical game instead?
>>
A question for you fellows - I have been playing Kemet for quite a long time (recently I've been doing Cyclades more) and I also have expansion for it, the one with like 5 modules including the black pyramids. The problem is i never actually got to give any of them a go with exception of already mentioned pyramids. Anyone here has any experience with them?
>>
>>48948658
I've got three games with most of the expansion under my belt. If we have to teach someone, my group usually just plays with the extra combat cards, the bonus combat round to determine turn order, the tokens you get for losing combat for that, and black pyramid/powers. I'd like to play more with the Path but just haven't had the opportunity. What did you want to know?

From what little I've played of it, the priests and their skills are a huge game changer and some of the items along the path are lots of fun. My group almost never gets to the victory point at the end of the path. The double edged knife item is a favorite.
>>
>>48948727
Well, mostly which ones are the most fun i guess. Base Kemet is really solid and fun as fuck (also is possibly one of the best games in terms of avoiding "you only have losing moves, decide which losing move you take" problem of most multiplayer games) so i don't want to spoil it, so i wonder if it isn't disrupted by the expansions.
>>
>>48948744
The set I listed plays pretty well for adding a little more depth without going overboard and also making determining turn order a bit better. Too often the player determining turn order in base game has one or two positions they care about and just randomly throw the rest of the players in the remaining positions imo.
>>
>>48948790
All righty, will give it a go if I collect enough players.
How many do you usually have when you play? I think i actually never played a full 5-player game.
>>
Am I the only person who doesn't like One Night Ultimate Werewolf as much as regular Werewolf? The puzzle seems way too easy to unfurl, and the fact that you can easily find out if someone who wasn't a werewolf earlier got their card switched and now is. At first they think they're a villager and give info but once the way the actions unfurled is obvious, they find out they're a werewolf and just give up. Happens way too often.
>>
>>48948640

App has a whole campaign mode that is pretty cool, I'd say definitely worth picking up. It's got a lot of fun ideas.
>>
Man, Vast looks really cool. I hope I can snag a copy in my country. I'm kicking myself for not backing the kickstarter.
>>
What's a good dungeon crawl that doesn't need a player to play the enemies? I'm excited for the Dark Souls boardgame but is there any good ones that already exist and have proven themselves.
Don't say Kingdom Death. Something actually available on the market.
>>
>>48942656
It's probably a question that has been asked before but do you have any recommandation for a Terra Mystica Light game ?
We recently started to play an awful lot of it and though it's a good game and all, it is 1) a little bit too much at times (not overwhelming but you kinda need to be in the appropriate mood), 2) pretty badly balanced (map isn't balanced, factions are obviously unbalanced as well).
But overall, the development management, almost no luck element at all and it's not too agressive for our tastes is great. In fact, we really want to love the game, but it's mostly the poorly balanced map and some factions being too OP that does it for us.

So do you have anything similar (not too agressive area control, no luck, maybe different factions for different playstyles) and possibly shorter, a bit less complex ?
We have been proposed Nippon and Gold West, didn't looked into it much...
>>
So a question: Has anybody in the thread ever played a homebrew game? Not a modified ruleset to existing one, but something new from the ground up, as much as its possible these days.
>>
>>48949006
Mice and Mystics
Shadow and brimstone
>>
>>48948034
>what I want to know is how come dice tower gets those seal of approval thingies on board game boxes?
>were they like the first big reviewer guys for board games and it kinda stuck after that?
>this isnt any sort of hate towards them. im just new to the hobby and just keep seeing their name on lots of stuff.
>also, why cant they hire some graphic designer to do their stuff? all their design work literally looks like stuff from the early days of the internet.
Everything you said is true.
>>
>>48948256
>and if you want high production values you get Tabletop
Or SUSD.
>>
>>48949279
My local sci fi convention has a lot of wanna be boardgame designers testing their games out there. Most are awful and don't understand design at all, but some are alright.

The only majorly memorable one was one so awful. It was trying to be this castle like dungeon crawl. The combat rules were so complicated that everything slowed to a crawl and it took several turns to kill a monster. My character fell into a trap door just by bad luck and I had to lose 1d6 turns and after I lose 1d6 turns (it rolled a 6 of course) I had to crawl out of the pit which was 1 more turn wasted. I literally spent 7 slow turns unable to do anything, that was over half an hour of me doing nothing. It made me feel not the slightest bit bad that I pulled out my 3ds and started playing games during a boardgame.
>>
>>48949449
>Or SUSD.
>
Seriously. SUSD's recommendations are actually shit for casuals because some of them have strict player counts (Captain Sonar), involve making yourself look silly which a lot people don't like (Monikers), or take a fucking long time (Food Chain Magnate) or are a pain in the ass to setup or take down. They're only meant for minimally employed, loud 20-30 somethings.
>>
>>48949509
basically you think they are shit because you dont have many friends to play games with and youre a pretty reserved kinda person.
projecting much are we?
>>
Whats a good game to indulge my 4x urges without alienating the rest of my group?
>>
>>48949584
>lets bring people into board games
>i know
>a game that requires exactly six people and has each of them do a very different thing
>>
>>48949509
What does that have to do with production values?
>>
>>48949646
It's from last thread, I just like piling shit on SUSD whenever possible.
>>
>>48949451
That sounds really shitty, did it ever take off? And speaking of which, now just remembered that one of my friend's friend participated in betatests of Master of the Ice Garden (god that thing is peculiar).
>>
>>48949773
I hope not. The strange part was usually when shit is presented there, you get super basic components. Printed out cards, cubes, drawings on grid paper. That shitty game I played was full of some pretty detailed components. Elaborate walls and tiles, real cards, some actual art work. Outside of the player pieces which were just generic board game brand pieces, it looked like a fully realized game. Whoever this was invested in it, but they made just the worst gameplay. Maybe that's part of why it stuck out to me so much. One actually good game someone made that I tested was this hex grid based space combat game with actual space physics and shit like going belly up and some actually neat complex mechanics handled in a not overwhelming way. All the ships were just pictures on printed out paper and they didn't even do a black piece of large hexagonal grid paper, but the gameplay stuck out to me as kinda neat.
>>
so cthulhu stuff is right up there with zombies on shit I'm sick of, but I'm kind of in the mood for a good multiplayer dread inducing game, and well done cthulhu does exactly that.

so what's your favorite lovecraftian board game? from what I've looked into it seems like eldritch horror would be a good choice, but I'm curious what others think.
>>
>>48949860
Well, that sounds interesting
It does sound like something that gets gutted before release, if even
>>
>>48949948

I'm currently waiting for any more news on the Arkham Horror LCG - looks quite good so far with the campaign style game play.
>>
>>48949980
yeah, that does look surprisingly good, and its announcement is part of the reason I got interested in actually getting a lovecraft game. I guess I'm just in the mood for horror and it doesn't really need to be cthulhu, but let's be honest, most horror board games are cthulhu themed.
>>
>>48948034
They're the one major site. They've been dedicated to it the longest and have both experience and the professionalism to keep making videos on a regular schedule. There was one big reviewer before them and I forget his name but he pretty much retired. Lastly, with how much editing they do, I don't blame them one bit for using really old stock crap for their opening titles. All their top ten lists are almost an hour long, why invest in making the first 10 seconds flashier?
>>
>>48945902
>and then Gencon where games are "released" and there's only a couple hundred copies max.

It's a huge letdown since Gencon is now just a glorified gaming meetup group with some vendors.

>The Networks was a really big "indie" hit, but that was full hype at Origins.

It had also been KS already so had the Rahdo runthrough. I had already heard about it but can't buy it.

>Honestly though look at SUSD's first review,

Fuck no.

>I've been doing Gencon 5 years now, I skip the new stuff and just demo, look for old deals.

I go to local cons but I've always wanted a yearly huge con to go to with friends. I live far enough away from Gencon that it doesn't seem like a great deal if I all I want to do is try new board games. Dragon*con may be what I ultimately settle on as the big con I go to yearly.
>>
>>48942656
I've been thinking of purchasing Smash Up, how is it? I personally haven't played it yet but it looks neat.
>>
>>48948161
>Tom is one of the worst for hating games because they're not friendly enough theme wise.

>But Tom loves the new Bloodborne game

Interdasting...
>>
>>48951334
Yeah, anon is an idiot who can't stop tipping his fedora at his own atheism and being triggered by a mild-mannered christfag who isn't actually a brainwashed bigot.
>>
>>48950948
>It's a huge letdown since Gencon is now just a glorified gaming meetup group with some vendors.
To be fair, Gencon was always about gaming first, the vendors showing up was secondary. My brother in law's been going since the MECCA days, he looks at the exhibit hall as a bonus and the gaming halls + auction house as the main draw. Considering how much you spend on a badge these days just walking the exhibit hall and buying more toys seems a bit like wasted cash. The event catalog goes live 3 months prior to show and most events sell out in an hour or two; the con really is the best way to playtest older games you haven't gotten to yet, or that've released since Essen and you don't want to drop $50+ on without trying first. Plus you know those games will be in the exhibit hall when you've made a decision. Plus the best stuff in the exhibit hall are all the non-gaming toys/authors/artists you won't get to see anywhere else.

Also I'd never recommend watching SUSD's first video review, I meant their first written one since Gencon, you don't even have to open the link, just look a the title and recognize they're behind by 4-5 months there.
>>
>>48949593
Core Worlds would be my recommendation - it's not a true 4x, but it's a good Space Empire building game.
>>
>>48950477
Get Arkham Horror friendo.
>>
>>48952068
>I meant their first written one since Gencon
Dead Last you mean?
>>
>>48950477
>most horror board games are cthulhu themed.
The Bloody Inn?
>>
>>48952259
Oh if that was their first since the con they're only 6 weeks behind, I was talking about Go Cuckoo, Haba's had that leaked out since GAMA and all the trade people who were at the show said it's almost insta-buy.
>>
>>48952339
To be fair, most of their reviews are for stuff you can actually purchase which would be why they seem quite late; the new stuff are in the bi-weekly(?) news article. That said, they've done a few things for kickstarter stuff I think? Unless I misheard that.
>>
>>48952068
>Considering how much you spend on a badge these days just walking the exhibit hall and buying more toys seems a bit like wasted cash. The event catalog goes live 3 months prior to show and most events sell out in an hour or two; the con really is the best way to playtest older games you haven't gotten to yet, or that've released since Essen and you don't want to drop $50+ on without trying first.

I just don't think that's a big a draw to me. Any convention over a certain size will have a board gaming section. PAX has a huge one. My buddy played Tentacle Bento which sold out because it's PAX. All the anime and comic conventions I've been to have an open gaming area with a decent amount of Euros/family games and most of the demos are free unlike Gencon. I also have access to a board gaming cafe with a large selection. You'd have to want to try some really obscure stuff to justify the price of Gencon.

>Also I'd never recommend watching SUSD's first video review,

I'd never recommend any of their reviews, but that's personal taste. I got what you meant though.
>>
>>48952658
>You'd have to want to try some really obscure stuff to justify the price of Gencon.
Yeah I can see that if you've got a cafe/LGS nearby that's solid; the 3 LGS in my area all feel way too creepy/toxic for me to spend more than the time needed to make a paint purchase. With free room/board I can justify Gencon easier than most, plus the last couple years I've gotten casually into PFS and the new season releases there with some pretty big special events.

That said I've done Whosyercon in Indy the last two years, and I enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere quite a bit more, they just need to get the hotel hosting it to stop being such shit. 2-3k people might be the ideal size for a con, allows them to be free, have plenty of demo events, and you might run into 1 stinkbeast a day instead of a dozen.
>>
Tried this out there, was a nice quick, screw your neighbor card game. Ended up being my only purchase along with some Guild Ball stuff.

Wyrd had some sick looking stuff in their display booths. This year I bought the Wyrd Nightmare Edition and the Privateer Press exclusives on their websites, screw waiting in line for that stuff anymore.
>>
>>48949259
Those are some good recs. Only problem is that Nippon is actually heavier than TM. For (slightly) variable player powers maybe check out City of Iron. There's no game map but there is a lot of fighting for majority/opportunity for direct conflict
>>48949279
I've played designer's pre-kickstarter prototypes a few times
>>48951063
Try it before you buy it
>>48952172
The LCG looks much more streamlined while still emphasizing story. It's really comfy looking honestly
>>
I feel like a board game crash is coming.

There's so much crap. My local stores are so overstocked, and most of what they have is stuff is no name games. Their shelves are particularly overstocked like crazy with sci fi and fantasy stuff.
>>
i'm a new player that wants to play online. what game would be a good starting point for me? i'm a very competitive person. i haven't developed a particular taste for any specific genre, i'm just looking for general recommendations.
>>
>>48942656

>So guys, what are your thoughts about Gencon?

Pretty underwhelmed. New mansions of madness looks cool I guess.

>Things you were hyped to hear about?

I was hyped about Last Friday, but MarcoWargamer made a review and he seems so disappointed. His tastes usually line up pretty well with mine.

>Things you were sad to not hear anything about?

No news of the Legendary : Alien expansion.

>Things you wish hadn't happened/happened differently?

I dunno.

Most recent.. I'm not sure. I think it's Karuba. Which I love.

>>48954555

Honestly, I could live with that. There's too much stuff coming out, I cant keep up and as such I feel kind of numb to many announcements.
>>
>>48955202
boardgamearena.com
boiteajeux.net
yucata.de
brettspielwelt.de

Try anything that catches your eye.
>>
>>48955532
what are your personal favorites?
>>
>>48955641
I'm more of an euro guy
Puerto Rico
Castles of Burgundy
In the Year of the Dragon
Through the Ages
Jaipur
Caylus
Stone Age
>>
>>48954555
I don't think there's a crash on the horizon.

One of the reasons behind the video gaming crash was a saturation of product and no quality control and no media/communication infrastructure to know what was good and what was bad. The market was over saturated and consumer confidence was at an all time low.

That's not the same situation we have currently in board games. Yes there is tons of product on the market, however I don't think that it's 'oversaturated'.

And consumer confidence I would say is at an all time high currently. There's many companies that are just implicitly trusted to make god products because they've made SO MANY AMAIZNG PRODUCTS already.

That combined with how many reviewers are easy to access it becomes easier and easier to know which games are generally good or bad. or might fit your style and preferences.

If anything I think we're gonna see a bit of a market divergence. What I mean is I think we're going to see more and more extremes in our board games. More games being produced as massive luxury items like Food Chain Magnate, Star Wars Rebellion, Mansions of Madness, and more games being produced as tiny, easy to transport and store games like One Night Ultimate Werewolf, the Tiny Epic series, and Love Letter. I think that the middle ground of your Ticket to Rides and Roll for the Galaxy are going to start to get squeezed into those huge or small categories.
>>
>>48954555
>>48956184
>I don't think there's a crash on the horizon.

I don't either... What I can see is some games surviving based on hype and massive buy-in from casual gamers (like Exploding Kittens for example). But with the proliferation of gaming companies and quality Kickstarter offerings I can see the more discerning board gamers having higher expectations of quality. This is almost certainly going to result in some startup companies simply not lasting long if they don't have very well designed / appealing products. And that can be damn skippy difficult to achieve right out of the gate. Particularly when competing with companies / designers that have decades of design and manufacturing experience. That said, with FFG / ANA becoming the obnoxious 'Giant in the Playground' of board gaming, I'm glad that so many quality KS from 'the little guys' are hitting the market these days.
>>
>>48954555
There's an absurd amount of stuff and part of that is that it's just so much easier to produce games now and it's such a low risk compared to other forms of media. Combine that with the growing market and we're in a huge boom that is doomed to fizzle out under it's own weight but I wouldn't say we'll see a crash or anything. Like someone said, confidence is at a rather large high and we do have at least some public opinion going around unlike with the dark ages of videogames. Further more, we do have some quality staples in the industry. Fantasy Flight I don't see going anywhere anytime soon, and there's even individual makers who are becoming famed for their boardgame design.
>>
I don't think there's a crash in the horizon. I do think that big corps will strangle sellers and consumers.
>>
>>48959394
How so?
>>
>>48944089
Desite being a filthy co-op hater, your advice hasn't led me astray yet. Is Khemet any good at 2 player? I've been teetering on getting it for a long time, but I know 2 players is my most consistent gaming count and I worry it won't be worth it.
>>
>>48959394
Control. Power.
Vid related.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ilMx7k7mso
>>
>>48959394
I'm not sure that's possible anymore, given the nature of kickstarter and self publishing now.
>>
File: Asmodee North America.png (150KB, 674x743px) Image search: [Google]
Asmodee North America.png
150KB, 674x743px
>>48959978
Big Money buys up a bunch of the smaller publishers and then jacks up the prices / limits online discount sellers / generally shits things up for the consumers while thinking of little else but the share holders and the profit margins. Pic related...
>>
>>48960819
Can't wait to see all their games show up on TTS. Oh wait they already have.
>>
>>48960188
I'd love to tell you that it'd great at 2 and to go for it, but honestly I haven't played it with less than 3 so far. If there's just two of us we usually break out Heroes of Normandie or Tannhauser or Netrunner or Mage Knight or something else that really shines best at that count, so I've got no clue.

But it's probably not bad. My first thought is to not use the black pyramids from the expansion at 2p so there's still some real competition for power tiles.
>>
>>48952047
>>48951334
In Bloodborne you're killing the demons, not playing as them.
Really, the only time I saw Vasel not like a game because the theme clashes with his Christianity is Chaos in the Old World, and even then he basically said "this is an amazing, game, but the theme repels me."
>>
>>48951063
Pretty fun. I probably wouldn't add it to my collection unless I add all of it to my collection though.
>>
>>48961683
Yeah, he doesn't hate games because of their theme that often, he does have the inverse problem though where a theme will make him vastly overrate a bad game. Case and point: Flashpoint Fire Rescue.
>>
>>48961827
>Flashpoint Fire Rescue
You misspelled Coup anon, I know they're both IB&C games but they're different sized boxes even.
>>
>>48949259
Are you playing the Fire & Ice board? That board is much better balanced than the base game board.

Scythe is pretty good, too. It reminds me a fair bit of Terra Mystica, and it's a nice, fairly quick game for five.
>>
>>48949948
>>48952172
I prefer Eldritch Horror to Arkham Horror, myself.
>>
>>48945902
>Seafall sold out on day 1 -20 minutes; that's great for Plaid Hat, not so great for anyone who didn't win a VIG lottery badge and pay 4x cost for it. A few companies were good enough to not sell to VIG/exhibitors, but even then if you're not at the doors at 8am to wait for 2 hrs and then make a mad dash, you might as well sleep in and wait.

What other things do you think people could do to make this better for regular attendees?
>>
>>48962446
>People buying games based on hype.
Meh, isn't seafall really shitty?
>>
>>48960791

>the majority of KS projects are not one-hit-wonders
>renowned designers won't sell their rights to big publishers rather than self-publish
>smalltime business can compete
>implying implications
>>
>>48962231
Coup is liked by a lot of people. With or without Vasel, people play it. I agree it's bad tastes but then again I also argue that Resistance and Werewolf fall in the same category. This idea that we're gonna make people argue over what inevitably is just coin flip results by themeing it as a "bluffing" game.

Flashpoint is just no fun though. It's coop with such chaotic random chance and not nearly enough options in how to play to make anything seem fair, win or lose. Mostly lose. It baffles that expansions feel the need to just make the game even more chaotic.
>>
File: Chogoking.gif (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Chogoking.gif
1MB, 480x270px
>>48942656
Anyone else hyped for Giga Robo? I wanted to ask around but i didn't want to come off as a shill while it was on kickstarter
>>
>>48962550
See I treat it as Pandemic that's less puzzle and better for families, especially the light rules variant. Plus you've got a lot of levers to pull to raise/lower difficulty, I will admit it's not for people who don't like randomness, but hey it's also really thematic that fire moves through the walls where you can't see it sometimes.
>>
>>48962540
I didn't imply any of those.

A lot of big games start off as kickstarter projects before publishers pick them up. It still remains that you can get a game to market, quite easily, without ever talking to a publisher.
>>
>>48962446
Gonna take a couple posts to answer that prolly. There were a couple big clusterfucks this year, but honestly the last few years they've made some very good moves towards making it better for gamers.

Getting TD, Anime/Cosplay into Lucas Oil was HUGE, it opened up an entire extra hall for gaming, which let the exhibit hall expand a bit north/south at the edge. Last year they changed the layout (by moving TD) and it allowed them to have pass through between the exhibit hall and gaming hall, that's HUGE so you can move around without having to go through the crowds standing in the hallways. Saturday is still a total shitfest with too many cosplayers holding up traffic, they NEED to be corralled better and people need to remember there's 65,000 of us in one spot, keep the fuck moving or get over to the side of a hallway. They still need to work on layout better for where booths are located, it felt a bit disjointed this year, with family game companies in 3-4 completely different areas of the exhibit hall, if they're together you keep small kids out of harms way easier. I know there's prolly some politics there keeping minis booths apart, and magic sellers 4 aisles away from each other, but it also leads to a more disorganized mess, and gamers generally like things orderly.

Their website/catalog is still just absolute shit, when I plan out events I want to go to I have to use a 3rd party option for better searching, and that's just sad. The way events unlock and wishlist processing works is improved the last two years tho, so there is that. Not crashing is definitely a step in the right direction.
>>
>>48963042
2/3

Parking this year was an absolute shitfest, and I blame that equally on Gencon, Gate 10, and the city of Indianapolis. If you wanna be the convention city of the midwest, you gotta do better at organizing shit, and Gencon taking forever to decide if they wanted to partner up made it messier than needed. If you bought the "partnered" parking you got in/out privledges (maybe useful?) a "shuttle" that was driven by a guy who didn't have a CDL and shouldn't have been behind the wheel of a bus, and a spot in a gated/fenced/monitored lot. The downside was if you bought a ticket, it didn't matter how fast you got it (was 54th) you just got a shitty generic event ticket from the will call office. Thursday Gate 10 was beyond flooded and had 3 blocks of traffic held up as they traded those will call tickets for parking stubs, and tried to give people directions to their alternate facility unless you drove in sometime around 6-7am. That was for something like $50-60, whereas if you used Parkwhiz, which I've done in the past, you're getting $5-6 parking a day, and it's gated and fenced, and a similar 10min walk as opposed to waiting 45+ min on a shuttle.

Parking is only part of the clusterfuck tho, which is storage. Walking 30 minutes in balls hot sticky 90* weather to drop off some games sucks HARD, but carrying around an extra 10-30lbs of cardboard/wood/plastic can cause some serious issues by Sunday. They were putting in a "classic coin-op arcade" in the hallway that leads down to the stadium, but it was maybe 15 games, if they're not going to pack that hall, they need to put in lockers badly. Yes it's a logistics nightmare to get some rented and brought in and not fuck up the flooring/doors/etc, but you could rake in serious cash off people who don't want to carry around extra weight all day/aren't using the fedex booth to ship stuff home. Plus it gets all those extra bags out of the close quarters in the gaming/exhibit halls.
>>
>>48962623
It's pandemic but awful. When you remove the puzzle element, you're left with just an unfun experience. Especially for how long the game runs and many rules there are to explain.
>>
>>48963075
3/3

The facilities need to be cleaned faster/more frequently, I know there's a lot of people there, and it's easier to do the heavy work at night, but I've made it a point for the last five years to walk over to one of the hotels if nature calls, and especially if I'm there with my sister or the wife.

Will call needs to be opened earlier than noon on Wednesday, you're a goddamn business, act like one, open at 9am because even with the lines moving fast you should never go from one end of the convention center to the other (3-4 city blocks) and then outside the building and around the corner.

The auction house is great, and I love the location but it's still too small, especially the consignment store half, just like with the cosplayers people waiting in line to get inside take up too much room in the main hallway, especially when you're right next to an entrance to both the building and the exhibit hall. Cannibalize another room from CAH/vidya/whatever and expand if you really want to stay in that one corner.
>>
>>48963083
See I disagree, because the game is generally shorter than Pandemic if you've got new/casual gamers, which is the target for Flashpoint. I've seen people just stare at the puzzle with no idea what to do, moving and putting out fire/dragging victims is pretty easy to grok though. Also I'd never start with the full ruleset, that's the best part of Flashpoint all those rules can be looked at as different modules, just add them in as people get more comfortable. I can see your point though, to me it's a lot like the debate between Memoir and HoN, I certainly think HoN is the tighter game mechanically, but Memoir is my go to every time for newer people, rolling a bucket full of dice and matching symbols is just going to work better in my experience.
>>
>>48963104
While I'm still in full on rant mode couple final thoughts.

I think a large part of the problem though is the publishers, as anon pointed out earlier people don't feel like it's the place for big releases, and that's because there's so much hype, but so few copies for the amount of folks showing up.

Part of that is ensuring you supply games to the stores/distributors who have already bought copies, but it's also recognizing that the con has exploded in the last decade, and your supply hasn't. If it's something like Seafall or Cry Havoc, you need to not sell at all to exhibitors who can get in at 8am and look around (a lot of those people are gamers who got paid for ticket/airfare/etc in exchange for working at the booths demoing/selling) giving all your copies to them is just shitting on the people who come to have fun, not work. And if you know you don't have that many copies, feel free to sell to the VIG crowd that gets in an hour early, but keep aside 20-50 a day/total so you seem like you're trying to reach the peasants.

A VIG badge is lottery based, costs $600 (550 if you had one last year) and you can get up to 3 people in early with you for 150 each. A regular Gencon badge this year ran $90 ($10 hike from last year, $20 from two years back) and the city has a 10% event tax on all tickets. It makes the hobby seem only for the super rich when they get all the copies of a game; tho I guess that's what ANA wanted, it to be a luxury.

Gencon isn't nearly the affordable con it was when I started going 5 years ago (I wanna say the ticket in 2012 was $60 including fees/taxes) and with the housing block always selling out and room rates exploding unless you're lucky enough to win that lottery, it's kinda shitty. If they're going to keep increasing the charge year over year, they need to up their services, which are good, but not great, and not keeping pace with the growth.
>>
>>48962618
Went for it at the last minute despite my anti-weeb bias. Really interesting mechanics and I've been in the market for a middleweight deathmatch game.
>>
>>48962618
Kind of annoys me because I'm planning something that's more or less the same exact thing.

Between that and Frame Wars, the giant robot deathmatch market is getting crowded.
>>
>>48963463
There can never be too much giant robot deathmatch board games. That said, couldn't back this one since I'm still trying to control my spending, but I hope it'll be available for retail.

What's the news on Frame Wars? Latest google result is from 2014, though I didn't search too hard. On that note, how is the Armored Core board game coming along? Did they really not get the license for it?
>>
>>48963590
I haven't checked it in a while, but check the deviantart of Millennium Blades' artist since he's working on it. And the AC board game couldnt get the license so it's generic robot now
>>
>>48963452
I was the opposite, something about the How to Draw Manga art and giant robots awakened my weebness and i auto bought in. Thankfully after my initial robolust subsided and i watched some vids I'm pretty impressed with the mechanics and i like the deck building aspect.
>>48963463
I had this exact same feeling about the Armored Core game actually since me and some friends always joked around about getting some easy kickstarter money by making an AC game.
>>
>>48962550
>Coup is liked by a lot of people. With or without Vasel, people play it. I agree it's bad tastes but then again I also argue that Resistance and Werewolf fall in the same category. This idea that we're gonna make people argue over what inevitably is just coin flip results by themeing it as a "bluffing" game.

Christ, I hate this genre of games. Coup I can tolerate, but the others can go fuck themselves. And yet, I'm always stuck in some game of Avalon at game meetups as people obsess over the meta and argue over what boils down to trying to figure out who is lying. Nothing tells me more about if your taste lines up with mine than knowing your opinion of the non-game, Skull.
>>
>>48963777
>easy kickstarter money by making an AC game.
You have to go to Japan and meet From reps face-to-face. Japanese business laughs at phone calls and emails.
>>
what are your favorite games that work well both solo and with a few people? my favorite solo game is space hulk death angel, but I don't enjoy playing it with other people. that made me realize I'm missing games that work both solo and multiplayer, and I want to fix that.

and even though most euros can be played solo just for points, I don't really get much satisfaction out of those. I want to have a set win condition and not just work for a higher score than the last time I played.
>>
>>48964681
Scythe is p. good solo.
>>
Just saw the DT review for this game. It looks like a hot sprawling mess of game, but a fun one at that.

Is anybody else hyped about it?
>>
File: 1470626273651.gif (828KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1470626273651.gif
828KB, 250x188px
>>48964848
looks good
>>
File: pic2891964.jpg (547KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
pic2891964.jpg
547KB, 1000x1000px
>>48964848

Forgot the image like a pleb.
>>
>>48964848
In my experience, the closer a game gets to either the "well-oiled machine" or the "crazy bullshit agglomeration" sides of the spectrum, the more fun they are.
Except 504, which is a crazy bullshit agglomeration of well-oiled machines, and not very fun.
>>
>>48965050
Xia is a crazy bullshit agglomeration of well-oiled machines crammed in a sandbox, and is actually fun
>>
Hey niggas, i just bought arkham horror since frankly globe trotting in eldritch didnt interest me at atll despite being more streamlined.
I want to know which expansions i should get in the case that i do want to play more
>>
>>48962340
No we ain't playing the F&I board because in our country it has been poorly distributed and apparently not edited (the game ain't mine, my friend who got it told it to me).
We do plan on making a rough handmade copy of it to test it anyway, but my friend looked at it and said that though it's better, it's still quite bad here and there, can't say much about it.

I've heard about scythe too, not sure if I'm a lot in the theme though, don't know if it's heavily pushed in or not mind you. Isn't it a little bit too conquest-y ? What I like with TM is that at least, once you're in there, you can't be moved (but you can't move either).

Anyway I'll check this plus the other too, t.hanks !
>>
>>48965233
I've heard very polarized opinions on Xia. Gotta see if Gameology has it for rent.
>>
>>48961428
Yeah I expected as much, I just saw you mention it as a Risk alternative a few times recently and thought you may have tried it a bit at 2.

I looked at Tannhauser a long time ago and thought it seemed quite interesting, but it's oop isn't it? I notice you can get a rule book so is it actually more a miniatures game rather than a board game, do you need the core box?
>>
>>48962623
I wish raising and lowering the complexity didn't raise and lower the difficulty so hard. You get specialists in return which at the very least ups your AP by 1, but explosions become so much more frequent, fires go absolutely nuts, and you're on the same timer of "until the building collapses".
>>
Trying to learn Viticulture to play solo, but I'm just not in the mood for it. Or for solo play really, but friends and I don't have compatible work schedules.
Need to get my fix some other way.
>>
>>48965547
Yeah, tannhauser is frustratingly out of print. You can probably technically play without the core set as long as you get your hands on a rulebook, some d10s, and a map - the last being the most difficult, but there's probably images up on BGG. It's pretty middle ground between boardgame and wargame but does still use a board with spaces. Enormously ameritrashy and swingy game, but damn good fun.
>>
>>48942656
Can someone help me out, trying to find the name of a game I played a couple of weeks ago.

It's a 2 - 7 player strategy game set around the roman empire. Each player starts with 4 generals and their Caesar for maneuvering troops, and you win by having the last Caesar standing. Combat was dice-based, there was an inflation counter on the bottom row and two rulesets we played the simple one
>>
>>48967428
Guy in my local game group has Tannhauser and a ton of expacs. He can't convince anyone to play with him anymore, seems like someone had a bad experience with it and convinced everyone else the game is absolute garbage.
>>
>>48968203
It's an understandable perception. The game is killy as hell and uses dice resolution for everything, bad luck absolutely will screw you over without much hope of recovery - but then, that's true of most miniatures games.

I'll make no argument that the design is "good" in the way that the really solid euro or hybrid games are, but if you know what it is going in and that's something that appeals to you, it's the most fun I've had with that style of game by a mile.
>>
File: arcadia.jpg (725KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
arcadia.jpg
725KB, 2000x2000px
Guys any thoughts on Arcadia Quest?

For what I've seen you jewtube it looks pretty cool, with that pvp + pve system. Campaign mode and shopping after scenarios makes it interesting for me.
I wonder if after playing it once (6 games per campaign I guess), it gets boring to do it second time? Seems like there's lot of equipment cards but everything looks shiny before we play it.

Anybody have any experience with the base game? I know about Inferno that finished recently on KS but no chance for that yet.
>>
>>48942656
Is it just me, or is it damn skippy expensive to sleeve all your shiz?

63 x 88 mm
Core World - 415 cards
Conquest of Planet Earth - 175 + 85 (exp)
404 Law Not Found - 155
Archipelago - 75

Then there's the small cards for Archipelago, and the 7 Wonders cards...

Ah well, it'll help protect my investment from the 'Grease Cheeto Fingers of Doom'.
>>
>>48971523

Yep, really expensive, I still do it though.

>tfw sleeving Legendary
>>
>>48971523
Buy by box, not by pack. I'm gonna need 500 euro std, 900 american std, 500 american mini and a few mini euro, squares, magnum and tarot.

I wish FFG just fucking chose ONE SIZE and stuck to it.
>>
>>48971523
>>48971569
>>48971790

Is cellophane safe for cards?

There are no stores who sell sleeves near me, and international orders to Mexico make it even more expensive, so when I saw cellophane bags that would fit my cards I got a few to test them as a cheap and available alternative. They feel sort of flimsy, and they slide a lot, so stacking and shuffling is not optimal.
>>
>>48969390
>Soda Pop makes Super Dungeon Explore - basically chibi Descent
>Soda Pop collaborates with CMoN and make Relic Knight - mecha skirmish game
>CMoN rips Soda Pop by providing sub-par casting for the game (and charging in full)
>Relic Knights flop
>Soda Pop calls CMoN out and makes the story public
>CMoN mad as hell
>CMoN makes blatant Super Dungeon Explore ripoff

Thoughts are it's the kind of CMoN jewing that should not be supported. Mechanically it's very similar to SDE. And if you're looking for PvP game Krossmaster is superior to both.
>>
>>48972398
>Krossmaster is superior to both
Ill check that for sure, thanks!

I knew that Arcadia is a ripoff from SDE but I miss the pvp part in it.
>>
>>48972398
You're missing the massive split in company philosophy on kickstarter and exclusives, but that's pretty accurate.
>>
>>48972398
Seems like there is no progress rules in Krosmaster. Even the slightest upgrades in between the games seems like a nice refresher and a reason to come back to it after few evenings.
>>
>>48972791
Krosmaster Quest, different product they released last year added a campaign mode, same time AQ started down that path and SDE teased the early demos of theirs.
>>
>>48971790
Thanks! I didn't even think of that. Now I'll have to find sources that sell by the box, because I do indeed have a ton of other games that need sleeved (Dixit & Netrunner I'm looking at you). And I feel your pain Anon about the multitude of different card sizes - yah!

>>48972251
>Is cellophane safe for cards?
In the short term it's OK, but for the long term it could well be an issue. The 'Official' card sleeves are *supposed* to be archival (i.e. not loaded with chemicals that can leach out of the plastic and damage the card over a period of years or decades) which is why the cost more. Cellophane isn't going to harm your card in months - but multi-year or even decades long exposure to aging celluloid based products is almost certainly going to cause discoloration and deterioration due to the cellophane breaking down.
>>
Nightfall bundle up on Massdrop.
Maybe a sign of an incoming reprint? I haven't heard anything though.
>>
>>48963280
What was your total cost for the weekend?>>48969390
I like it, BUT I started a campaign with two different groups and neither group has returned to the game after. Part of the problem is other games taking priority, the other problem is getting the same four people in the room together again (same thing happened with Risk Legacy and Imperial Assault)
>>48971523
It is. I've learned to weigh very strongly which games need sleeves and which don't.
>>48972398
I don't know anything about your story so I can't vouch for the validity of these statements, but I thought I should point out 1. Krosmaster is distributed in the US by CMON now 2. The game will be receiving a 2.0 release in October 3. I found Krosmaster to be slow and boring while AQ is fun and exciting but YMMV
>>
>>48973965
Not as bad as those who have to stay in hotels/fly in, I'm a 4hr drive away and my sister lives 15 min from downtown; we also split parking/misc costs. I remember adding my costs the weekend of and coming in around $250, plus the 4 day badge ($99 and a b-day present from my sister) and event tickets which were 40ish. Broke down something like this
>Ticket (bought Jan) - 99
>Event tix (bought May) - 42
>Gas - 40ish
>Food (myself only) - 110ish
>Games/dice/sleeves - 60ish
>Misc - another 30ish
>>
>>48973965
>which games need sleeves and which don't.
This is my take on sleeving.

Pure card games with a lot of passing around, drafting, shuffling, heavy play -deckbuilders, LCGs, CCGs (especially if you have expensive cards in your deck)-, party games, stuff that gets handled by kids all get sleeved.

OOP/collectibles get sleeved if they're getting played, if they stay in a box it's optional. Expensive collectibles get hard sleeves/frames.

Games with assymetrical wear on the cards (7 wonders, Cosmic encounter and such, which add or remove cards depending on player count/races in the game) get sleeved.

Games with tons of decks for everything or cards that don't get a lot of handling (i.e. Le Havre, Power Grid, most of FFG's stuff) don't get sleeved unless it's played very often, or just get sleeves for the cards that are used the most.
>>
>>48963075
A couple of notes on this:
>parking
You know, if they would move Gen Con to sometime when the fucking STATE FAIR isn't going on, they could use their parking lot. Shit is close (about 15 minutes away), and then they could ramp up a few more hotels out that way.

>lockers
They used to have lockers, but I was told that they got rid of 'em b/c of the big scary mudslimes and how Gen Con is a "soft target" for terrorists.
>>
>>48973965
>I like it, BUT I started a campaign with two different groups and neither group has returned to the game after.
Sure but it's the problem of a group itself not the game. So can happen everywhere.

>I found Krosmaster to be slow and boring while AQ is fun and exciting but YMMV

I have the same feeling after watching few gameplays.
This entire campaign mode in Krosmaster based on unblocking skills, avalaible in normal arena mode, doesn't buy me.
I realise that in AQ characters are only based on that 4 items they are carrying, but with this lots of equipment cards with different levels, it looks like there are many posibilities for different gameplays.

But hey, maybe there are other titles than Krosmaster, Arcadia or SDE out there with similar gameplays?
>>
>>48942656
I just played Flashpoint Fire Rescue. It was surprisingly more fun than I expected. I'm a little worried though. First game was the family version and we lost by 1 person. It was exciting and the fire was chaotic and crazy. I'm not sure if we were just really lucky, but next game in advanced mode, we're pretty sure we got all the rules right but it was so much easier. The deck gun/driver killed all tension. There initial fires were put out in like 2 turns and we had the whole thing under control. 2 explosions happened all game. Probably just good luck, but man abilities way overpowered the threat of hotspots.
>>
BADUMP
>>
>>48974646
Thanks. I'm beginning to realize that sleeving everything would be almost as costly as some of the games themselves.
>>
>>48971523
>Mfw when I sleeve and laminate.
Eh, I find it's worth it. Though there are still things I don't sleeve.

I didn't sleeve my Archipelago cards for example since they wouldn't fit in the nifty box if I had.
>>
Stupid question, but does any board/card game do "Magic in a box" better than literally a box of Magic cards? I've been buying cheap commons to play sealed with friends because we want a game that feels like a TCG without investing money into a full on TCG.

The only game I've seen is Netrunner, which has been a lot of fun, but doesn't really feel like a classic TCG.
>>
>>48979919
I'm kinda patiently waiting for the L5R LCG.

The CCG was pretty neato burrito and I always thought it was a lot more fun than magic. So hopefully if it's anything like the original it might be good.
>>
>>48979919
Epic, by the same guys that did Star Realms.
Maybe Ashes if you're into dice.
>>
So my collection is euro-heavy. What are some must-have ameritash games to round it out?

>>48979919
Everyone I know who plays Magic is into BattleCON. I guess the the head-on-head duelling part appeals? Though they're weebs as well, so maybe that's it.
>>
>>48981864
what player count?
>>
>>48981930
Any really. Our group meet ups are usually around 8 so we'll split into two or more groups playing different games. We're good with any level of complexity too.

Haven't gotten into wargames at all, I don't see the appeal of hex-and-chit stuff, I have no problems with someone trying to convince me though. Neuroshima Hex is popular also.
>>
>>48942656
should i buy any expansions for galaxy trucker?
>>
>>48979813
Yeah, I'm going to sleeve my Core Worlds stuff before I play it, and I'm wanting to sleeve Archipelago because that's one game I really like and want to take care of.
>>
>>48979768
You don't need thick premium sleeves for everything. Stuff like mayday sleeves are like a couple of dollars for 100 sleeves, and that's here in socialistland, probably even cheaper in burgerland, and they'll be plenty protection for every game that's not a pure cardgame with constant reshuffling.
>>
Any fans of Watch It Played? Anyone wish they grew up in the Smith household? Would be so comfy to play boardgames with your cheerful canadian family all the time.
>>
>>48984849
Rodney's interactions with his son can get a little too saccharine at times (like your typical dad-trying-too-hard-to-be-hip), but it's definitely nice to see tutorial videos for games that have some professionalism to their quality. A lot of amateur videos usually have poor focus on the components, terrible audio, and the speaker forgets rules or tells them completely out of order. Even Tom Vassel stutters and says "uhh" too much, like he never prepares his words beforehand or ever bothers to do a second take.
>>
>>48984849
I wish they did older games, but I guess it's hard to find a publisher willing to pay for a video unless it's a new release.
>>
>>48984849

I find them a little toooo bland for my tastes. Never expressing an opinion on anything. It's too bad because their production values are great but watching such an passionless product makes me die inside a little.
>>
>>48984849
Good rules explanation but as >>48985016 said, Ridneys kid interaction is well, annoying for anybody outside of the family. And the only way to get deep into game mechanics is to watch his gameplays, often with the jr himself.
>>
>>48981864

Euro-Trash Hybrids:
Mare Nostrum
Kemet
Chaos in the Old World
Rex / Dune
Scythe
Cry Havoc
Libertalia

Moderately trashy:
King of Tokyo
Quantum
Arctic Scavengers
Redacted
Captain Sonar

Turbotrash:
Battlestar Galactica
Space Cadets: Dice Duel
Chaosmos
Cutthroat Caverns
Mage Knight
Twilight Imperium
Spartacus
Fury of Dracula
Specter Ops
Star Trek: Fleet Captains
Tannhauser
>>
>>48985376
Thanks for the recs.

Mare Nostrum is already in the mail, I'm pretty excited. Wouldn't TI get an honourable-euro ranking from all the resource management? I figured any big empire-building strategy would qualify. Anyway I have Eclipse so I don't think I'll pick up TI anytime soon. Ditto the other space-empirey games.

I've got King of New York, I usually bust it out for people with no attention spans. Is it possible to have ameritash without very high random elements? I hate having my decisions be worthless compared to luck. Apart from flashy components (which I don't really care about) and high random elements what's the defining features of 'trash games? I'm mostly interested in stuff that has interesting systems to strategise around outside of the usual euro fare of resource management and worker placement.

>Space Cadets: Dice Duel
The play vids I've seem of this look awful, everyone autistically rolling dice and not interacting. Doesn't seem like the original SC much at all (which I have and enjoy).
Captain Sonar on the other hand seems a much more interesting implementation of the idea.

>BSG
Might be cool but, all protests to the contrary aside, I think the fact that only a few of us have watched the series would limit it's appeal. Is Shadows Over Camelot a good replacement? The more pure social deduction games (Resistance, Secret Hitler) are popular as well as trying to mislead people in Archipelago so I'll probably get something in this vein.
>>
>>48949509
Also if your board game has boobs in it SUSD will talk about egregious titties for 30 minutes straight.
>>
>>48985738
TI's actually less intense on resource management than Eclipse - there's relatively little in the way of resources that can be carried over between turns, so you're mostly just determining how and when to best spend your whole income each turn - it's still a very strong and challenging element of the game, but building and managing resource generation isn't as big a deal as in Eclipse by a long shot.
But there's so much going on in TI and so much that the game attempts to simulate, and so many random or hidden information variables that I really can't think of it as anything but the king of ameritrash civ games.

It IS possible to be ameritrash without being random - but very few games that do that well. Battleship vs Kemet or Rex for instance. Those that do are mostly the really well-known euro-trash hybrids like I listed.
For me, the defining difference between euro and trash design is that euros are visibly developed with a mechanic in mind and then grow a theme from there, while ameritrash games start with a theme they attempt to simulate and then develop mechanics to deliver that theme and immerse the player in it - which tends to result in more complicated, often more random rule sets.

Dice Duel is incredibly hit or miss depending on the player group. I've had it flop so hard that entire groups would refuse to touch it again, and I've had matches where eight people are all shouting and yelling commands and requests over each other and so amped up they had to take a half hour break to unwind at the end. Sonar is quite certainly a safer bet for most groups. Or, you know, Artemis, if you can get people to bring laptops.

Shadows over Camelot is definitely much more euro than BSG, so it might be worth looking at. It holds up decently well, but I think it runs a little long for the density of interesting decisions you have to make. For social deduction, I think you'll have more fun with the likes of Mafia de Cuba, Dead Last, maybe One Night Revolution.
>>
>>48985923
*for lighter social deduction
>>
>>48984849
I like R. Smith's stuff for the fact that he tries to stick with base games or only uses publicly available expansions rather than include anything that's an 'exclusive' which is nice. I also find he speaks well and presents the rules in an easy to follow fashion. As much as I appreciate Rahdo's enthusiasm there are times I just can't watch his videos because he's so scattered and all over the map in his rules explanation.
>>
>>48985264
I like his interactions with Pep lately. the Lift It head crane game video was pretty hilarious
>>
>>48986307
Best rahdo impression ever.
https://youtu.be/ECNaOwtbp-c?t=3965
>>
>>48986946
>I can never get the time codes to line up right
1:06:30 for Dan King going nuts
>>
>>48986307
I watched Rahdo cover Near and Far and he spent like 10 minutes dicking around in town doing the same thing over and over. Pacing was terrible for a demonstration.
>>
>>48986963
>>48986946
10/10, would kek again.
>>
Could you guys suggest a way to make pic related go faster/ be more engaging for players? My playgroup gets bored during the overlord phase because it's slow and pretty much just me running the combat, with the person being attacked and the others sit there doing nothing for minutes at a time while 5 monsters all attack the same closest person. Its not depth enough to make everyone super invested in what happens to each player (especially since you can just pick them up) but it just takes too long.

Otherwise suggest a similar alternative? However I spent the 80$ on this game and we've only played it a few times so I'd like to get my moneys worth..

We use the app too, still doesn't engage the other players at all when one person has to basically still be the overlord.
>>
>>48987753
Imperial assault has the activations swap between the heroes and the imperial player. Maybe something like that can be applied to descent?
>>
>>48977516
Ok, 2 more games later at higher difficulties, I have determined that the driver is massively OP. Only multiple floored buildings can combat him and even then he's still too useful. The fact that he can fire the super cannon 2, maybe even 3 or 4 times in 1 turn, just completely decimates the threat of fires. I'm at the point where for the first time ever, I want to house rule a game. How would you nerf him though?

Abilities that are way too good:
Can fire the gun for only 2 AP (guaranteed multiple times a turn when not moving)
Can not only re-roll, but systematically reroll one die at a time
4 AP with no downsides (not that his downsides would ever come up given he rarely to never has a reason to leave the engine)
>>
>>48985738
>autistically rolling dice and not interacting.
My experience is everyone autistically rolls dice and yell at each other for more dice.
>>
>>48988201

Maybe. The way it's set up now is the app has the players go and then monsters. Apparently this was an improvement. Maybe I'll just say fuck it to the app though it's so useful for other things. I'd have to figure out how to run the overlord monster abilities though, which kind of defeats the purpose of having the app.
>>
How do I find out about copyright status of games? As far as I can tell, the rule system of a game could absolutely be protected by copyright and the art certainly is. There's a few things I want to do, for example
>make videogame version of a boardgame (fuck tabletop sim) to play with friends and also why not post online for others to play
>print my own version of an out of print game
>print custom boards for games like Power Grid or Risk
The first seems like it won't be a problem, especially since the game has been out of print for almost 40 years. The others seem like they could become problems if I try to sell them.
>>
>>48990763
You're only going to run into trouble if you try to sell them on any of those points.
And no, rules systems cannot be copyrighted, at least in the US, just the art.
>>
>>48990811
I'll go ahead with the first somewhat carefully since I'm not going to sell it and I doubt anyone cares after all these years but if I get C&D or anything I'll lay off

>And no, rules systems cannot be copyrighted
Sidenote, then how the fuck are algorithms copyrightable
>>
I'm really enjoying space hulk death angel. Are there any other similar single player games or should I just get the expansions?
>>
>>48991742
Gears of War & Xenoshyft aren't specific 'Solo' games, but both are fun and can be played solo. (You can pick up the Xenoshyft app on steam if you want to try it out before investing the big $$$ in the card game.)
>>
As I recently joined the tabletop hobby could you guys explain to me the difference between 'Eurostyle' game and non-euro? (american-style?)
With maybe 1-2 examples of both so it's easier to follow up.
>>
>>48992589
Eurogames are games wherein the majority of the gameplay comes from tactic or skill. If there is any sort of randomness to it, the randomness occurs before play initiates so that your choices are then dependent upon that chance. Like, rolling a die to determine resources before a worker placement game. Typically the draw of said game is inherent in the mechanic and the complexity it creates.

Ameritrash (it's mostly an affectionate term) is a style wherein there is chance/random events that create an atmosphere of chaos that allows predetermination to be redundant and counter-productive. Dice rolls determine results regardless of skill or tactic involved, multiple stages of opportunity to one-up, entire strategies can be brought to a halt by "Negate target action" cards that can be collected like candy. If a game uses a single deck for all players to draw from, that's generally Ameritrash because luck is most of what matters.

It's difficult to give concrete examples personally since you have to understand what each game's sellingpoint is.
>>
>>48992589
'Euro' games are games that generally have little randomness, little to no direct player confrontation, and often the themes and settings of a game are generally more dry and don't really give much to the mechanisms.
Some popular Euro games include:
Caverna/Agricola
Le Havre
Stone Age

'Ameritrash/Amerithrash' games are ones where random chance and the associated risk assessment usually plays a more prominent roll, players are in direct confrontation with each other beyond just competing for the same resources, and the themes are usually core to the way the game plays.
Popular Amerithrash games include:
Chaos in the Old World
Scythe
King of Tokyo
>>
>>48974646
>party games, stuff that gets handled by kids all get sleeved.
That's one way to make Rhino Hero more difficult.
>>
Can /bgg/ list off some board games that are like Castle Ravenloft?
>>
>>48985923
>while ameritrash games start with a theme they attempt to simulate and then develop mechanics to deliver that theme and immerse the player in it - which tends to result in more complicated, often more random rule sets.
So Chaos in the Old World is Ameritrash and no one know what Twilight Struggle is (because we don't know whether they started with the system or with the theme)?
>>
>>48992789
>>48992907
Thanks that clarifies me a thing except Scythe being so randomized.
IIRC, from watch it played, it was all about collecting resources, moving them around the map and even if there were battle cards you drew them from your hand so it wasn't too random or game changing. What am I missing here?
>>
>>48986963
Time codes don't work on 4chan.
>>
>>48990763
>the rule system of a game could absolutely be protected by copyright and the art certainly is
No, it can't. There was a big hooplah over some Chinese knock-off and long story short, you can completely copy a board game as long as it uses different art and different words.
>>
>>48993328
That Scythe is a Euro disguised as Ameritrash.
>>
>>48942656
Is anything new to the Civilization reprint?
>>
>>48993328
I shouldn't have put Scythe because it blurs the lines a good bit. There's a lot of direct player confrontation, but there is randomness in quite a few aspects, the objective cards that you have at the start of the game, the special encounter cards, the factory cards, and the battle cards are all randomized decks. And the theme is really thick and well crafted.

But there are also euro elements in the engine building, the victory point tracking, and the semi-worker-placement action selection.
>>
>>48993428
I'd really like an answer, found a great price on an old edition. I'm convinced "reprint edition" means "Asmodee is fucking me now instead of FFG."
>>
>>48993323
Obviously not, categorization like this can't be both binary and remain useful. It's far more productive to treat it as a spectrum, upon which placement has much more to do with what is evident in the end design than how that design was reached. Broadly, I'd categorize both CitOW and TS as hybrids because they exhibit many of the best features of both archetypes, at least from my perspective.
>>
>>48993312
Temple of Elemental Evil, Wrath of Ashardalon Legend of Drizzt.
They use the exact same system and are fully compatible between each other.
>>
>>48993954
I'd argue TS is more a barebones, card-driven wargame, it's neither an Euro nor an American style game.
Theme is solid but rather abstract, not as strongly presented as in, say, Talisman.
No miniatures, no custom dice, no fancy artwork, historical setting, lots of chits with numbers...
>>
>>48994223
It is a wargame (which is different from a miniatures game or the hobby game spectrum), but under the given bounds it's a hybrid.
>>
File: mrw no gaems.jpg (226KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
mrw no gaems.jpg
226KB, 1000x750px
Meetup canceled.
>>
>>48990850
>How the fuck are algorithms copyrightable
They aren't
>>
>>48997493
I am really confused and it's not me mixing up patent and copyright law. Patents suck but the parts of that whole Oracle vs Google thing that was about Oracle's patents makes sense. The part about their copyright on the structure of java language now is making zero sense.
>>
>>48997594
There's a difference between an algorithm and code (Oracle's copyright claims were tenuous anyway, which is why they lost)

You can steal all the gameplay mechanisms, but if you steal any part of the written rules you'll be liable for copyright infringement
>>
>>48993428
Civilization as in Through the Ages?
>>
>>48979919
Make a peasant cube. Do it. Now. Cube is the only acceptable way to play mtg
>>
>>48998882
Not playing M:tG at all is the best way to play M:tG
>>
>>48997787
Sid Meier's.
>>
>>48999277
A different kind of beast alltogether it seems
>>
>>48999410
I think you're comparing the 2010 game to the 2002 game.
>>
>>48999437
From what i see it's just different game, but one i haven't seen at all and the other i bough for my friend like 6 years ago.
>>
>>48993512
Ye I expected vast majority of games relating to both types. Anyway, you anons made it clear for me.
Thanks again.
>>
>>48986753
I agree that the camaraderie is good to watch but going by some of the live videos I wonder how much is scripted in the end. Also, Pep strikes me as way too forced most of the time. With Rodney, it comes off pretty naturally and I'd be hard pressed to say that wasn't his general character. With Pep, it's a conscious effort to put this performance into play (as a side note, he strikes me as one of those "feminist allies" (christ that term makes me die inside) who puts pussy on a pedestal in a big nice guy act and then wonders why he isn't getting any).
>>
My monthly TI3 game is this Sunday. I've won the last two games, the last one by a pretty good margin due to savvy politicking. I have a feeling I'm going to get dog piled this weekend. Any suggestions?

First game I won as the Yssaril, and felt bad about it because they're a pretty top tier race. But second win was with the Embers of Muatt and I'm so proud that I managed to pull that out despite getting back stabbed at the eleventh hour.
>>
>>49002756
Grab a less visibly threatening race like the Arborec and get ahead of the dogpiling by vocally being a friendly good guy. Hang back, make sure there's someone ahead of you on VP's all the time and keep attention focused on them. Get a couple systems with enormous build capacity via ground forces and then instantly spawn huge disposable fleets lategame to push for your last couple objectives.

That's one idea anyways.
>>
>>49002836
My only problem is that I have a reputation for betrayal in any game I play. Any time I'm playing a game, someone will cut in by saying the first rule of the game is don't trust anon.

I normally make it a point to stay on pace with everyone on victory points - do you recommend I purposefully fall behind a bit? We run the game on a turn limit, so my only concern is that I'd have trouble catching up unless I manage to snag Imperial at the right time.

Also, one thing that's come up, once you claim an objective, can you lose it later on if you no longer qualify for it? My gut said no, but several players said yes.
>>
>>49003363
I'd never say to purposefully fall behind, just make sure that the VP track doesn't further encourage ganking you until you're ready for it.
The only objectives you can lose once you've had them are the special green objectives, and those are just the ones for holding relics and the elected 1vp objective.
>>
>>48949279
When I was in high school me and my friends created a game that combined
Monopoly, risk and a tech tree for research. You played a modified monopoly to find your modified risk army and could also purchase research for new abilities. Multiple ways to win. Science, military, economic. Was fun to play, but looking back it wasn't a super well made game. Took 8 hours to play also.
>>
Hey guys, I'm gonna be at a party with like a hundred people.
Is there anything we can play that takes a lot of people and ca be played while people walk around?
Like a two rooms and a bang, but without teams
>>
>>48992589
Euro games are where you sit at a table with other people, don't interact with them, and move wooden cubes around
>>
>>49004051
Amerithrash games are where you sit around a very pretty, thematic board with other people, and tell stories while luck fucks over whatever you had planned and some random guy walks with the victory
>>
>>49004133
But anon, Libertalia is a Euro.
>>
>>49003646
Gotcha. Thanks for the tidbits!
>>
>>49004033
ultimate werewolf or any other variations like that.

i hope you actually know all those people though.
ive been to a party with lots of people and most of us there played ultimate werewolf. started out good but the problem is that lots of people dropped out mid game without anyone really knowing and they just threw their card away. at the end of the party we found cards on the ground and some in the trash or just lying in a random place.
I want to say there was about 60 of us. luckily it wasnt my game.
>>
>>49004219
How does Libertalia qualify as a Euro? It's pretty heavy on theme and has lots of player interaction.
>>
>>49004033

Mafia de la Cuba

Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space

Secret Hitler

Coup Rebellion

Skull

I mean, you could also go lighter, with Snake Oil or Aye Dark Overlord.
>>
>>49004033
There's that one cat and mouse game SUSD played where the Cat/Mouse repeats the word 'Cat'/'Mouse' repeatedly until they tag another person, at which point that person does the same thing. This continues until the Mouse reaches 4 pre-positioned items (held by other people) or the Cat tags the Mouse.

I've only people playing it in a hall while sitting down though, no idea what would happen if people are walking around the house and stuff, or if they'd even bother playing.
>>
>>49004309

This anon >>49004309 makes a good point.
Unless everyone's in on it, a game with that many people is just gonna go under really fast, especially if they're not at all into games.
A friend of mine hates games and always sits out, prefers to gt drunk to music. The one time he was forced by his wife to play (werewolf, btw), he was unenthusiastic and annoyed.
Chances are there'll be more than a few people in your party that would just be rather doing whatever the fuck other than playing.
>>
>>49005391
meant to reply to >>49004033 but I have the stupids today
>>
How in the world is twilight struggle balanced without the +1 to the US? It seems nigh impossible. Esp if the USSR draws decol turn 1
>>
>>49007610
I've only played USSR and get my ass whooped everytime. Late game's so weak!
>>
File: Kyle Dissaproving.gif (51KB, 192x224px) Image search: [Google]
Kyle Dissaproving.gif
51KB, 192x224px
>>48949449
SUSD is the fucking worst. THE WORST
>>
>>49008290
They've got some serious problems, but I'm glad they threw up that review of Inis so I could get a decent look at the components and art. (Holy shit, NEED)

Of course that's counteracted by being pissed off that copies will be hard to find because they reviewed it. Thanks, assholes.
>>
>>49008290
let me guess. you think they are bad because they dont share the same opinions with you.
>>
>want to buy food chain magnate
>know i'll never get my friends to play it
>know if I play online I'll be fuckign destroyed cause I have no idea what I'm doing, and playing board games online isn't nearly as fun anyway

life is suffering.
>>
>>48942656
The Sleeves are here! The Sleeves are here!

<and now for the sleevenating of the Apocalypse>

Ah well, at least I'll be able to play Core Worlds and not worry that the cards will get trashed right away.
>>
>>49008035
Yeah but you fucking destroy him in the early game. Decol means you have influence everywehre you need early, and you auto win middle east pretty much. Hold cuba and contest early mid, you've won.
>>
>>49008456
That's just the surface problem. The underlying problems is they don't hold the same opinions because they're mentally ill SJW.
>>
>>49008419
Inis looks dope as hell.
>>
>>49008456
No, because their reviews are terrible. I even agree with some of their opinions, but it always comes off as condescending and snobby, even as they claim to be for the people new to the hobby.
>>
>>49009141
>comes off as condescending and snobby

probably its because they are english.
>>
>>49009172
It's beyond that, any game that isn't super fun as soon as you look at the box is suddenly "only for boring number cruncher types, amirite?"

I don't even like those heavy games, and it irks me.
>>
>>49004033
There are some very fast games like Love Letter and Coup. These can be resolved in 5 minutes. 10-15 minutes tops.
>>
I didn't catch up for AQ: Inferno kickstarter nor its basic version
Really wants to buy AQ because gameplay looks nice, but with all that fucking kickstarter exclusives out there, i feel like ill be missing a lot of game with only 12 basic heroes.
Masmorra KS still has a late pledge option. It could bring another 20+ heroes to basic AQ but the game itself (masmorra) looks meh..
What do anons? And do any of you know if they are still sending from EU hub in late pledge or rather from usa(+40$ shipment, +20% customs)
>>
>>49008419
>go check out site for review of Inis
>see one of them married Leigh Alexander
oh shit nigger what are you doing.
>>
so I'm in the mood for a soloable card game with lots of missions and/or a campaign mode. the biggest stand outs to me are the lord of the rings lcg, shadowrun crossfire, and to a slightly lesser extent warhammer quest.
pros for lord of the rings are that I really like the property and it can be played solo with only one deck, major con is the million dollar price tag to buy all the sets which by all accounts are worth it
pros for shadowrun are the barrier to entry is much smaller, has a neat deckbuilding mechanic and it has a campaign mode. cons are it has a small number of missions and you can't really play the game with just one deck. you really have to control two characters and decks
pros for warhammer are I already love space hulk death angel and this seems like an updated version of that in the fantasy universe. con is it looks like it's ded

also tempted to get legendary encounters alien, but I kind of worry there's too much overlap with death angel. not in mechanics, but in feel and theme. also I kind of worry about the coordinate mechanic since it seems like a pretty big part of the game.
>>
>>48950553
Drakkenstrike, the inventor of "Overview of rules while standing in front of a shelf of games".

He returned last may with Man vs Meeple:
https://www.youtube.com/user/drakkenstrike
>>
>>49008672
Phew! Core Worlds all sleeved and Archipelago too. Tomorrow it'll be 7 Wonders turn.
>>
>>49009940
For the LotR LCG, you don't really need to buy all of the sets at once. There's a pretty detailed buying guide somewhere for it, maybe have a look at that first.
>>
01110000 01100001 01100111 01100101 00100000 00110001 00110000 00100000 01100010 01100101 01100111 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100001
>>
Bump so this thread lives til dawn,
>>
>>49017613
>bumping threads on /tg/
you know this is a slow board, right? theres no reason to bump this.
>>
>>49017782
Yet here we are again on page 10.
>>
File: 4Chan in a nutshell.png (74KB, 531x382px) Image search: [Google]
4Chan in a nutshell.png
74KB, 531x382px
>>49017782
>you know this is a slow board, right?

OMG! He just called fa/tg/uys slow! (I resemble that remark!) Triggered! Where's my X Card?!?

And speaking of triggered... I've discovered that my sleeved 7 Wonders cards don't fit in the plastic insert that comes in the box. Damnit Repos! Now I'm leaning towards getting the Broken Token insert. Sure, I can simply take the plastic insert out of the 7 Wonders box, but then everything bangs around on the inside of the box. Sigh...
>>
Any recommendations for small box games or games under an hour that don't involve competing in points, or atleast dripping in theme enough that the the points competition isn't obvious? A friend of mine is kind of bad at those types of games (or atleast it's very rare that he wins them) and I kind of want something for him. I know about the Arkham Horror LCG which I'm planning on getting.
>>
>>49020814
>Ever buying Broken Token inserts.
>Taking the insert out of the box so stuff bangs around.
>Making your own insert for the yuge bawks.

I did a new, portable box so I could I take 7 Wonders out of its fuckhuge spacewaster.

First I found a neat little box that fit the cards snugly, printed and laminated Wonders cards (found on BGG) to replace the original Wonder boards, printed a label for the box in sticker paper for the box cover and fit everything inside a neat 110mm*70mm package.
>>
>>49020906
Hanabi, Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, are all pretty basic and are all cooperative games. You might also look at 'Once Upon a Time' which is a story telling game. Instead of competing with each other, compete against the game. There's also the Sentinels of the Multiverse, or better yet the 'Legendary' games like 'Aliens' & 'Predator'.

>>49021205
Yeah, I know. I've got plenty of tools and experience designing stuff out of foamcore board. And almost certainly I'll end up building my own inserts since I need them for Core Worlds, 7 Wonders, 7 Wonders Duel, and Arctic Scavengers to name a few. And speaking of space wasters - don't get me started on Splendor. I like the game, but it could have come in a small bag. That just would of made it harder to justify the price tag.
>>
>>49022290

I took Splendor out of its box, carry the cards in a deck box and the chips in a cylidrical cosmetics pouch. Price tag is too damn high.
>>
>>49022290
>There's also the Sentinels of the Multiverse, or better yet the 'Legendary' games like 'Aliens' & 'Predator'.
SotM is a much better game than the Legendary ones, wity better replay value, but Legendary has lots of licenses for stuff if you want heavily themed games.

Only problem with SotM games is that they can run longer than an hour, depending of the heroes and villain(s) chosen.
>>
Just got sushi go, heard here on the /bgg/ that I could give the deluxe version a pass. Now friends from across the country are saying I've made a grave mistake in not grabbing sushi go deluxe.

Who is right?

I just wanted to draft until I puked, then cleansed with 7 wonders...
>>
File: pg-tcg.jpg (119KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
pg-tcg.jpg
119KB, 640x481px
Who here hype for Power Grid Card Game?

https://opinionatedgamers.com/2016/07/12/dale-yu-essen-16-preview-of-power-grid-the-card-game/
>>
>>49020906
how do you guys feel about dice heavy games? whether you go co-op with pandemic the cure, fuse, or escape curse of the temple, or you go competitive with roll for the galaxy, troyes, kingsburg or alien frontiers, the randomness of the dice might just be enough to have him do better
>>
>>49020814
I've sleeved all my 7 Wonders cards and they fit, I'm surprised yours don't.
>>
>>49024954
Looks interesting, I'd have to see how the pacing is before I get hyped though. If I can find the values for the cards I might go ahead and give Demolition Contractor a try next time I play though.
>>
>>49024832
I got the deluxe version just last week and I'm loving it, but I never played the first version. It was a bitch to get my group to try it but after just the first round it's all they want to play now. It comes with plenty of different types of sushi so every game feels different, and allowing up to 8 players is a bonus.
>>
>>49026633
What brand of sleeves are you using? Mine are the 65 x 100mm Ultra Pros and they're nice but they just don't fit back in the plastic tray.
>>
>>49024832

You can play the "base" version of Sushi-Go using the new version. Considering how much more you get in Sushi-Go party, you can't really justify getting the old one unless it's a trade or a spice up for one.
>>
>>49020906
also, what kind of games are you guys playing currently?
>>
>>48991742
oh man how did I miss this post, I love death angel

I don't have any of the expansions, but I've heard that the space marine pack and the mission pack are both worth it. the tyranid pack is worth it if you want the game to be harder, and the deathwing space marine pack really isn't worth it unless you're okay with inconsistent art and need the game to be easier

but, fantasy flight put out warhammer quest the card game a while back and it borrows heavily from death angel. it's in the fantasy universe, so you don't get space marines. imagine taking the lord of the rings lcg and mixing it with death angel, and that's pretty much warhammer quest.
>>
Asking here since its probably the best place to put it.

What do you guys use to carry your boardgames around?

Lugging around boxes to every game night is sometimes very en-cumbersome and backpacks don't always have enough room to carry some of the bigger board games.

Been looking at messenger bags, but none of them seem big enough to carry more then 1 or two boxes. Duffel bags just seem to damn big as well.
>>
>>49029047
Lined duffel bag. Tons of space, can fit around 8 FFG-sized games and a few smaller games
>>
>>49029047
Case for a cajon drum, after an anon suggested. Good size, thick padded walls, rectangular, keeps zipper off the boxes, pretty much perfect.
>>
>>49029440

sweet! Hopefully I can acquire a case relatively easily.
>>
>>49024954
Neat
>Still uses paper money
:/
>>49029440
>>49029667
I have this and like it. I'd recommend finding one with side pockets if possible.
>>
>>49029047
ikea totebag.
>>
what's a good, quick, strategy oriented game that i can play online? i'm new to board games.
>>
>>49022290
Going co-op might be good, I only have 1-2 in my collection. I'll take a look at Forbidden Desert, Once Upon a Time and the Legendary series, though I'm not too much of a fan of any of the featured franchises. Thanks for the suggestions

>>49026423
I think we're ok with it, some of our favourites have dice for a resolution mechanic. Fuse and Escape look good, and regular Pandemic is available at our FLGS too, so we might give those a try. The latter half of your suggestions might be too focused on point collection I think, though I do have an interest in Roll.

>>49027324
Recent games have been:

Scythe
Cash n Guns
Sheriff of Nottingham
Red November
Cthulhu Realms

All of which he enjoyed, but wasn't too keen on the point collecting part of the first 3. Maybe it's because those games rely heavily on micromanagement/investing on future point gains to do well?
>>
>>49009357
>go check out site for review of Inis
>see one of them married Leigh Alexander

Are you really surprised? Their reviews have been more and more tainted by social-justice bullshit lately. They're tastes almost never sync up with mine so let's see if there's another video.

>sees Dice Tower Review of Inis

Sweet.

>With Sam Healey

Fuck.
>>
>>49033517
>>With Sam Healey
>Fuck.

Yeah, tried to watch his Big Trouble review and closed it after five minutes.It's like he wasn't trying to explain the game as a whole or had planned anything out, it was like he was just pulling cards out of the box at random and reading what was on them.
>>
>>49033413
hmm, maybe look into games that are more tactical than strategic? the dice idea fits right into that, but maybe just look into games where you can't really plan a half a dozen turns into the future

ascension might work (as would any similar deckbuilder). you do need a bit of a plan for the general direction you want to build your deck, but because the buying pool is 6 random cards, you can't plan out all your turns like you can in dominion.

conversely, it sounds like you should probably ignore uwe rosenberg's games, especially fields of arle and caverna. sandboxes are the enemy.

since you're playing games like scythe, I assume you've played basics like carcassonne? if he had trouble with the farmers, then we might be on to something. although to be fair it is tricky figuring out how to utilize them correctly. I find it more enjoyable to play without them, but I just like building up a nice landscape

going co-op is probably a good idea, but be weary of the beta player. my sister has that problem with pandemic. she can never commit to a move and constantly asks everyone else what she should do. not just if they have an idea, but exactly what she should do. that's why I suggested the dice game over the regular game. in the regular game you have more of a multi-turn puzzle with figuring out optimal routes and if it's worth flying to an area, while that's been really streamlined in the dice game so you can more focus on the viruses and not moving to where they are.
>>
>>49034162
I'm guessing tactical refers to focusing on turn by turn actions than overall game plans? Seems about right, I'll browse through some games that might have that keyword.

Our first games were ameritrash stuff like Betrayal, Flashpoint, and Descent, so we skipped the usual euro starter games. I think our first real euro was Castles of Mad King Ludwig, which he didn't do too well but still had fun due to narrative. Maybe go for stuff like Tales of the Arabian Nights?
>>
DID ANYONE ELSE BUY THE PILLARS OF ETERNITY BOARD GAME
>>
>>49034596
yeah, or at least that's the way people use it when talking about board games. tactical would be rolling the dice and deciding what to do based on the outcome, while strategic would be having lots of information in front of you and planning multiple turns in advance

sadly bgg doesn't differentiate between them and I couldn't find something like a geeklist with tons of games that are considered more tactical. I think you'll have the best luck with games that rely heavily on dice and decks of cards.
>>
>>49036011
Alright, I'll try and look through a few relevant titles and see if they fit the group then, thanks for the help
>>
Picked up a 1st edition Runewars for 45, all the pieces seem to be there too, I'm pretty hyped to play it with some friends
>>
>>49026633
Holy shit i should sleeve my shit, i have like 10 in need of sleeving and only Game of Thrones have some.
>>
>>48948161
What do you think of shut up & sit down?

Not sure if theyre as popular as dice tower but i find their material to often be both entertaining and effective. Although, of course, personal preference is sometimes a factor, i cant imagine a case in which it wouldn't make some difference... either way, i like them. I also prefer game boy geek over tom. Z is ok... sam is just lame, seems like a super unlikeable guy....
>>
>>49034422

>>48949006

>>48949593
Whats 4x?

>>48951063

>>48949948
Imo it looks bad... idk what to say though probabaly just a personal preferenxe thing.

>>48963075
>>
>>49026840
I'm trying to remember but I think they were some gold labelled Mayday Euro ones. I'll see if I can find the packet later.
>>
>>49037246
4x is like the video game civilization. explore, expand exploit, exterminate
they're games where you start as a relatively small entity, you discover new areas, you settle them, work the land for resources, and fight other people who are trying to do the same thing.
>>
Should i even bother with legacy or just get regular old pandemic?

Figure the pros of legacy are obvious, but i wonder if its worth the price... with the old pandemic i can at least buy a used copy.

Idk guys... also, ive never played it... but it looks decent...

Shadows over camelot maybe?
>>
>>49037537
Do you have a dedicated game group? If so then split the cost of legacy between the group and enjoy a wonderful 17 games for cheap.

If you don't have a dedicated group then Legacy games are a bad choice. You really need a whole group of people to commit to the entire campaign to make it worthwhile.
>>
>>49034750
NO, I DON'T THINK SO.
>>
Looking to add a few games to my collection and was hoping to get some suggestions!

I have about 100 dollars to spend and im more than happy with getting used games.

I currently have and enjoy:
Cosmic encounter
Dominion
King of Tokyo

I also have and enjoy onitama, cards against humanity, and dixit but i like those other 3 games better

I have munchkin deluxe but that was a mistake... its alright...

Finally, I have:
Descent 2.0
Level 7 omega protocol
Dungeon twister the card game

However, i have not yet played these ones.

As far as what to get next, ive generally been keeping and updating a list of possible candidates. With the number of games that interest me being at around 100, ive managed to narrow these down to the ones i really want to get sooner rather than later.

Most notably are:
Dungeon fighter
Cutthroat caverns
Libertalia (looks better than citadels and mission red planet, havent played any of them tho)
Tales of the arabian nights
Mascarade

Some others:
Catan
Battlecon
Netrunner
Kingsburg
Shadows over camelot
City of remnants

If youd like to help me out then here are a couple of traits im looking for!
-easy to learn/teach
-appealing to new players and non gamers
-not campaign based

I'm also particularly interested in finding some good coop games.

And aside from that id just like to hear what everyone's been playing and how they enjoy it. What are you 3 favorite games?

I dont have a regular group to game with or anything, so that may be good to keep in mind :) i appreciate all feedback!
>>
>>49038074

Since you're interested in catan and kingsburg I recommend Dice City with at least the all that glitters expansion. The base game is good, but the gold expansion is great. Haven't played with crossroads yet, but it looks good as well.

The game suffers a tad from being largely a multiplayer solitaire game. There is some interaction, but not a whole lot which is nice for newer players or non-competitive players.

If you're ok with more strategic but friendly games Caverna or Carcassone are great choices. Simple to learn, very light on the confrontation aspect (sometimes its nice to play a game where you're not being a dick to others.) and both have wonderful re-playability. Caverna especially since its modular based on the number of players.

If you wan't some form of confrontation then any of the light to midrange wargames are great. Smallword is a wonderful wargame disguised as a playful beat-em-up style game. It's a great tool to teach newer players the finer aspects of zone control and even to a minor degree about engine building since you need to know when to decline and when to push to maximize point gain.

Two newer games, one release but sold out and another releasing next month that also fit the bill are Scythe and Cry Havoc. Scythe is a wonderful engine building, worker placement style game with random elements to keep playthroughs fresh. One of the few kick-starter success stories as well. Cry Havoc is looking to be a better Nexus Ops to be honest. Nexus Ops was always a wonderful introductory wargame that even stood out after playing other wargames. It's quick, simple, easy, and best of all fun. Cry Havoc is looking to do the same, just with asymmetrical factions. One faction just wants to kill, another wants to build, the third wants to amass victory points, and the 4th is the easy mode faction that sorta auto plays itself. The best part is the removal of dice rolls for combat.
>>
>>48942656
The new /bgg/ thread is up at ----> >>49039439
>>
>>48949006
Gears of War is good, but it's OOP.
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.