[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Boo Version

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 32

File: Dark Forest.jpg (181KB, 938x584px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Forest.jpg
181KB, 938x584px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b
>>
Can someone tell me if the spells of "Book of Lost Spells" are balanced? What about the 5e Edition Feats book?
>>
Is it a good idea for a brand new DM to get LMoP on roll20?
>>
New to 5E and D&D in general.

How much money is considered rich in game? My dude currently has 140ish gold, is he still relatively poor?
>>
>>48847731
LMoP is a good adventure, a simple one, if you're a new DM might be a good thing to start with.

If you want to DM for a long time you might take a look also in Fantasy Grounds (IMHO is much better than roll20, but it costs more)
>>
>>48847733
Depend on who you ask.

That's like a 3-4 years worth of minimum wage. But it's like 4-5 months worth in wage for people with skill or education.
>>
>>48847733
Depends on perspective. The common man, 140 gold is a pretty large sum of gold that could easily set them up modestly for a long time. To an adventurer, however, 140 gold is a pretty low amount. It will definitely keep you well fed and sheltered, but there are far greater riches to be had.
>>
>>48847444
Anyone?
>>
>>48847733
Going by lifestyle expenses, between adventures you could live modestly for about four and a half months, comfortably for about two months, or wealthily for a month.
>>
File: 23.png (1KB, 88x22px) Image search: [Google]
23.png
1KB, 88x22px
>>48847847
Patience you must have, my young padawan.
>>
>>48847784
Thanks. I don't think my friend are going to pay for Fantasy ground though..
>>
I have some questions.

Whats a good book for understanding all of the schools of magic in fairly minute detail?

What are some other interesting books that discuss details of certain elements of standard D&D knowledge. I'm mot very interested in setting areas, like books about towns, people, or maps.
>>
>>48847910
Google for Treantmonk Wizard Guide, there are 2 files that will help you a lot.
>>
>>48847939
Umm is this supposed to be a power guide? I was more talking about a lore/fluff book.
>>
>>48848067
So try the Dragonlance books, they doesn't explain every single spell but they have a nice flavour to the spells that they wizard uses.
>>
>>48847444
Yes.

I find them often too weak to take.
>>
>>48848139
So I wouldn't have problems with godlike characters?
>>
https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA%20Non-Divine%20Faithful%20SFG.pdf

Warlock Patron: The Seeker

Astral Refuge (6th level) questions:

> taking advantage of its timeless nature
You can take 2 actions to cast spells, does that mean you only have 12 seconds to do anything while in there before you get shunted out, or you have all the time in the world, but once you cast 2 spells you're out?

Can you use those actions to do anything else?

> cast spells that target only you
How do you take advantage of this as a Warlock with nil spell slots? At 6th level and higher?

> Astral Plane
Can you bring pockets of extradimensional space with you including but not limited to bag of holding, portable holes, etc?
Also, EK or Oath of the Ancients Paladin if I want to make a dragoon?
>>
>>48848167
No?

It's 5e, basically no spell will do that.

Just even moreso with that book.
>>
>>48848365
That's exactly the point, because the 5e doesn't have many broken things, so I have some kind of fear that if I allow these new books they might have unballanced things.
>>
>>48848337
>You can take 2 actions to cast spells, does that mean you only have 12 seconds to do anything while in there before you get shunted out, or you have all the time in the world, but once you cast 2 spells you're out?
I think it means you have all the time in the world but all you can do is cast those spells.
>How do you take advantage of this as a Warlock with nil spell slots?
Invocations. And you do have spell slots, just not many.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (9KB, 190x265px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
9KB, 190x265px
So I'm building Ganondorf in an upcoming evil campaign and I was hoping for some build advice. I was thinking about playing him as a variant human fiendish warlock, but I can't decide on a starting feat or what pact would fit the best.
>>
>>48848391
I'm a little disappointed by it, for example, there's a spell in the PHB that is a second level spell, Moonbeam.

There's a slightly different, most would say worse, spell in Lost Spells called Moonbeam, it's a third level spell.

They're not all quite like that though.
>>
>>48848610
What do you think embodies Ganondorf? Have you asked the DM what custom things you can do to have said traits?
>>
>>48848610
Why don't you make your own character?
>>
>>48848473
With that in mind would I be able to rest / meditate / sleep, or read a book, or research a creature I'm fighting (if I have reference material on hand)?

And yes, invocations, but what spells in general would get me the most bang for my buck in most situations? Being able to cast 2 spells for free is great, but if most of them last after a round or whatever the benefit seems moot.
>>
>>48848677
Floating, eldritch blasts, and evil laughter. I was thinking about going bladelock so I could summon a greatsword or a halberd and be able to hold my own if I get into melee range.

>>48848714
Because I want to play a Ganondorf style character.
>>
>>48848785
Armor of Agathys is always a nice one.
>>
>>48847814
>>48847822
>>48847864

Fair enough, thanks.

Only reason I ask is because, in game, we've recently just liberated a Place of Power. We want to keep it protected (But obviously continue adventuring) so we sought out aid from the local military, who demanded 1000g from us in expenses to send out the expedition. Fair enough, it probably isn't cheap, but I was just wondering how crazy that cost was.
>>
>>48848871
So once per short/long rest, the most benefit I can get from this feature is I can cast Armor of Agathys twice.

Got it.
>>
>>48848785
I would think so. It also doesn't say you have turns in there, so you could Dodge, Ready etc. I think.
>>
>>48847733
Well a modest lifestyle is 1 gp/day, so you could live well for half a year on that without working. Crafting rules let you avoid paying that cost (presumably you can craft some things that let you barter for what you need) and net you 2.5 gp/day (undamaged goods can generally sell for half price). So it is a very respectable rainy day fund, but far from rich.
>>
File: 1451256299764.jpg (159KB, 665x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1451256299764.jpg
159KB, 665x1200px
>>48849037
>Blade Ward, Armor of Agathys, Protection from Evil and Good, Jump
>Invisibility, Mirror Image, Spider Climb, Levitate
>Dispel Magic, Fly, Gaseous Form, Remove Curse, Tongues
That's just through third level.
Where does this "only one spell to cast" meme come from?
>>
>>48847910
The details of why magic works the way to does fluff-wise actually depends on the setting. Eberron, Forgotten Realms, and Dragonlance all have different explanations, while Greyhawk and other settings don't explain the fluff behind it at all; magic just works.
>>
So I was thinking of writing up a Ghostbusters style adventure for Dmsguild. Have any of you ever done one? Would you buy one?
>>
Thread got archived right after i posted so i'll try again.

My players will be coming up on a town that is under attack by orcs. I need some ideas for objectives that will help fend off the attacking army. So far i got

1) retaking a city gate and lowering the portcullis to cut off reinforcements

2) defend or repair a breach in the city wall

3) defend a bunch of commoners in an inn

4) retake a barracks to arm the commoners to form a militia

5) free some acolytes in a temple to bring healers to the defenders

also any ideas how to determine overall failure would be appreciated.
>>
>>48849520
You could add something related to rescuing military/civil/whatever leader
>>
Postin'.
>>
>>48849741
>>
File: 1450017070020.jpg (466KB, 800x1123px) Image search: [Google]
1450017070020.jpg
466KB, 800x1123px
>>48849741
>>48849816
I don't think it's imbalanced, and the fluff definitely fits into some games, especially if the moon is less spiritual and more lunacy inducing. The 1st level feature doesn't seem overpowered, but perhaps a bit overtuned. Consider simplifying it a bit.
6th seems pretty fair, since it's on a short rest recharge, and Warlocks don't have but so many ways to deal psychic damage.
10 is fine.
14 is actually a really cool mental image and concept, but I'd consider allowing non-hostile creatures to be unaffected. It's already ridiculous when a Warlock jumps into battle in a cloud of darkness and their allies are blocked out, but also being damaged by it...
>>
>>48850196
It's in playtesting phase m8. Level 1 ability is weaker than fiend level 1, at least going into levels 6+ from how I'm feeling it. I'd originally thought of making the damage maybe 1d4, but after playtesting it, I think it's fine. Less than a a single 1d10 die in damage and only on a failed save is pretty reasonable, and the effect only lasts a turn. So you spend your action to deal not alot of damage to only potentially make them lose their next turn, a max of 5 times a day.

>but I'd consider allowing non-hostile creatures to be unaffected
One may already do that ^_^
It's the second-to-last sentence on the page.
>>
File: 1409500551957.jpg (188KB, 500x353px) Image search: [Google]
1409500551957.jpg
188KB, 500x353px
R8 my paladin build. My proficiencies are athletics, medicine, persuasion and religion.

Strength - 16
Dexterity - 11
Constitution - 14
Intelligence - 9
Wisdom - 13
Charisma - 15
>>
>>48850420
it's a Paladin
>>
>>48850444
It is
>>
>>48850420
That's....not really a build.
>>
>>48850420
Before or after racial modifiers?
>>
>>48850420
Are those rolled stats? If they are, you allotted your stats how I generally would.

But like >>48850557
says, that doesn't really constitute a build.
>>
>>48850569
It's the base stats, I'm playing as a human tho.

>>48850557
>>48850588
Mostly was just making sure I allotted my points correctly. Thanks anon
>>
So what's the deal with Cantrips? Do you have to allocate one of your known spells a day to put it in your roster? Or is it <Cantrips> + <INTMOD+WIZLEVEL> for spells usable per day?
>>
>>48850397
I didn't mean the level 1 ability was too strong, it definitely seems weaker than others. But it's a big block of text and perhaps worded a bit strangely. Also, why roll a d8 when there are 3 effects with 50%, 25%, and 25% of occuring?
And I did miss that sentence.
>>
>>48850614
If you're a variant human (and you should if you're playign a human), I'd put one point into Cha for sure, and then probably one into Str or Wis. I'd do Str if I was playing a tank and used my feat for Heavy Armor Master to get my starting Str to 18, or I'd put the point into Wis if I was going 2-handed, usually using my feat to get Polearm Master.
>>
>>48850649
RTFM
>>
>>48850656
Oh alright - yeah. The description is, almost word for word, the description of the Umber Hulk's "Confusing Gaze" on page 292 of the Monster Manual. I figured if I had specific WotC precedent for the mechanics of the ability that it would be fine to just go ahead and use it, especially given Lunar Glint is only on use that one has to worry about it, while an Umber Hulk's Confusing Gaze is every round and passive.
>>
File: Buffy.png (734KB, 667x692px) Image search: [Google]
Buffy.png
734KB, 667x692px
thoughts? my brother and my sister-in-law want to play but they've never played dnd before so I'm going the "come up with archetypes and then we'll figure out your characters" way of character creation, and she is an avid buffy fan. Found this on some nerd site, but I'm sad there isn't a favored enemy feat in the PHB I could add for her or something for Undead (ala vampires). Is there something in the DMG Workshop chapter that can help me with this?
>>
>>48850920
Here's what you do:

Give her the favoured enemy feature.

It's a ribbon, it won't really make her stronger at all, so you aren't hurting anything.
>>
File: shocked elf.jpg (113KB, 279x492px) Image search: [Google]
shocked elf.jpg
113KB, 279x492px
>>48850920
>monk
>dumped Wis
>high Str
>>
>>48850960

Maybe it was built with 3.PF in mind.
>>
>>48850960
>woman
>high str
>>
Dumping some homebrews I've been working on the past few weeks. Already had some good input here, would love to hear some more before I tidy these up, make some graphical changes, and throw them on the DMsGuild.

Barbarian Paths
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByXalmSD

> Primalist - Spellcasting variant
> Warboss - Ork inspired
> Dervish - Tazmanian Devil

Bard Colleges
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJtVb9Uw

> College of Faith - Divine healing / support
> College of the Phoenix - Martial Support / buffs

Monk Ways
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1-L3BTod

> Way of the Beast - Animal styles for better martial options
> Way of the Wukong - Mage Slayer variant
> Way of the Kensai - Sword Wielding sandal wearing weeb samurai

Ranger Archetypes
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SkpZBnJ_

> Dreadstalker - Inspired by Spirit of the Night MTG cards
> Maverick - Trick shooting ranged option
> Sky Sentinel - Niche fluff centered ranger of the skies

Rogue Archetypes
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyGRUsiD

> Revolutionary - Stop the gubment!
> Ruffian - Thug, hooligan, bruiser
> Time Bandit - Prince of Persia
>>
>>48850960
It's not supposed to be minmaxed you fucking retarded elf manga shitposter. Get out.
>>
>>48850960
Don't listen to
>>48851060

Keep posting elf manga.
>>
>>48851060

It's just bad. Strength is almost literally useless and Wisdom is one of your most important scores.
>>
File: gwuh.png (37KB, 168x447px) Image search: [Google]
gwuh.png
37KB, 168x447px
>>48851060
>dumping the stat that a huge amount of your class features are based on
>"not minmaxed"
I guess you're technically right. It's more like... minmined.
>>
Question: is it ok for a DM to play a character, interacting with the story with said character the least he can?
Never played before, so forgive me if it sounds retarded.
>>
>>48851203
It's generally looked down upon, for good reason.
>>
>>48851203

To expand on what >>48851263 says a lot of people use GMPC's to show off, making them the center of attention and overshadowing the party. Theoretically it's fine but it's better to just...not do it at all.
>>
>>48851203
All DMs make NPCs. What people don't like are bullshit overpowered NPCs that steal the spotlight from players, or are designed with the intent of seeming "cool" to them. If you mean "some guy to travel around with the party" then you should use a generic humanoid from the Monster Manual with a lower CR than the party.

>>48851156
It's based on what the person who made the sheet thought the character from the show's stats were, dumbass. Learn to read you 12 year old faggot.

>>>/out/
>>
>>48851353
What if I just want to make a tankdude because we're only 3 people and 2 of them want to play squishies? I would be just a hired bodyguard with nothing to say about the story.
>>
>>48851611

It might be best to just work around it, you certainly don't NEED a tank.

What's the party composition?
>>
Are Blade Pact Warlocks shit?

I had a hard time justifying smacking something with the weapon instead of just pelting it with Fireball.
>>
>>48851677
Yes. Blade pact warlocks are shit.
Don't play one.
>>
>>48851677
Sorta.
>>
>>48851203

There is very rarely a reason to justify it as it practically invites the DM to abuse his powers.
>>
>>48851611
Make a story excuse for them getting a free bodyguard, e.g. they save his life or something.

Let them control it, not you. Just ask one of the players to do it. If you want to be fun at the expense of some character faithfulness, let them take turns controlling the guy and roleplaying as him.
>>
>>48851156

I've made a low-Wis Monk before.

It was fun.

You just don't rely on the stuff that uses Wisdom.
>>
>>48848473
>>48848337
No, all you can do is cast 2 spells targeting only yourself. You can't take a long rest or anything
>>
>>48851694

...could you elaborate?
>>
>>48851732
You mean like your armor class? Or your stunning strike? Or the most rolled skill in the game?
>>
>>48850649
Cantrips. Not in your spell book. You just know them. Cast at will. RTFM.
>>
>>48851748
Why be in melee when you can *NOT* be in melee and just eldritch blast for *MORE* than melee?
>>
>>48850920
Try Monster Hunter Fighter or Hunter Ranger
>>
>>48851677
The sword is a backup for when you run out of spell slots (Which you should, you get them back on a short rest. Use those fuckers.) and an enemy has the motherfucking balls to get up close and personal with a caster. Pact boons do not define your character, they are just the icing on top.
>>
>>48851757

...yes. You know it's ok to have a character be sub-optimal, right?

Some people might even find it

fun.
>>
>>48851744
What happens if you don't have 2 spells to cast that target yourself (lack of spell slots, etc.)

Do you have to cast cantrips? Is there a time limit? What if you are missing cantrips that target yourself?
>>
>>48851785

Yeah I was worried about this. Like, technically I think that Blade Pact will do more dmg since you can add Str/Dex + Cha to their attacks but you are such a vulnerable target and I'm not sure how many weapon swings it would take to outdmg Scorching Ray or Fireball.

Warlocks have some neat tricks like Armor of Agathys but I was wondering if there was something that I was missing to the specialization that makes it pretty badass.
>>
>>48851872
If being worse at what your character does is fun for you, you go right ahead. Not gonna stop you. And if your character isn't performing as well as other people you'll have not a thing to complain about!
>>
>>48851872
Not the anon you're responding to, but in my experience, building a character around a thematic concept, especially an existing fictional character, and then not having that character be able to mechanically exhibit any of the abilities of the concept they are based on, isn't particularly fun.
>>
>>48851917
>Like, technically I think that Blade Pact will do more dmg
Nope.jpg
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JIrEV1RFv6yxWEdqG6zP3z-ZONDTacquGyqYj8G-CdE/edit#gid=1769534668
>>
>>48851888
A RAW reading is that you only return after you cast two spells, which could include cantrips. Any DM would just let you come back whenever.

Just remember that its a timeless instant so the only two actions you can take is to cast a spell targeting only you
>>
>>48851872
always found it to be more rewarding for players that i know who have played awhile to roll with lower stats.
>>
>>48851917
Please see >>48851820
Warlocks who choose the Blade pact boon are not intended as front line melee combatants.
>>
So how would one salvage path of the berserker?
>>
>>48851990
Take exhaustion off frenzy. Make their fear into Way of the Long Death monk's fear, and base the save DC on Strength.
At that point it's fine.
>>
>>48851990
By growing a pair and just playing it already.
>>
>>48851933
>Horribly complicated chart

So I'm assuming that you can pimp out Eldritch Blast enough and can spam it more often than the attacks that the math turns out it does more dmg on average?
>>
>>48851820
>>48851983
That's really awful reasoning. Eldritch blast is a cantrip and thus will never run out, and is still better than using your pact weapon.
>>
>>48851923

>all monks are wise

Such a dull world you live in. How many martial arts movies have you seen? Fuck how many people have you met?
>>
>>48852071
When you take agonizing blast, you get Cha on all your Eldritch Blast rays. You get an extra ray to shoot when you cast it at 5th level, 11th level, and 17th level, meaning you can shoot 4 rays of 1d10+5 as your action. Contrast that with a blade warlock, who gets a max of two weapon attacks period.
>>
>>48851918

>If being worse at what your character does

There is a difference between sub-optimal and shit ;)
>>
>>48852111
You mean like the entire monk class was shit in 3.5? I'll bet you'd have played it anyways. You know. For fluff reasons.
;)
>>
>>48851983
I agree with
>>48852076

Eldritch blast is really fucking baller without even touching it and it gets really hard to not justify touching it.
>>
>>48852132

>3.5
>we're talking about 5e

Stay on topic, sport
>>
>>48852107

Yeah, I guess there is probably some way of amping the dmg if you throw in magical weapons tho I'm not sure how that effects the math.

It's also kind of dirty to not somehow include that when talking about the class if that's the way you make it not-shit.
>>
>>48852168
13 AC monk is super rad sport
You won't be on the ground most of the time at all!
>>
>>48852192
Magic weapons are very rare, and even then most of them are not that powerful enough to make up the huge disparity between two weapon attacks vs 4 eldritch blast rays in 5e. Especially when you have to *BE IN MELEE* to use that weapon.
>>
Just got into D&D but im reading the spells and some of them don't seem to have any limit to how many times they are used a day like Cure Light Wounds

So wouldn't you just be able to heal up your entire party after every fight just by casting that shit?
>>
>>48852218

Depends on how you play the fight, huh?

Also way to ignore party buffs or magical items. Those things don't exist at all in your world do they?
>>
>>48852246
Well yah but to be fair I can see a good DM throwing their player a bone on this one and hooking them up with a sweet magic weapon to make up for the shit dmg if the player loves the concept but hates the inefficiency.
>>
>>48852315
13 AC monk is cool dude.
It's OK.
Have at it.
>>
>>48852107

Might not be as drastic as you think. If you go gwm and use a great sword you can get 2d6+20 twice. 4d6+40 is probably pretty comparable to 4d10+20.

You can use a ranged weapon with it too if you find a magic crossbow or bow and use sharp shooter, though the damage is a little worse it keeps you safe. With crossbow expert and sharpshooter you can wind up doing 3d6+60, not bad at all.
>>
>>48852260

That all depends on who's casting them.

Casters can only use a certain amount of spells per day.
>>
>>48851888
Then why would you use this feature?
>>
>>48852338

>is wrong
>prefers to be passive aggressive

I'm certain your party must love playing with you.
>>
>>48852338

The worst part about this is like...what are you putting your other good stat in? Strength? WHY. I guess you could grapple them but with your shit AC they'll probably still be hitting you. Intelligence????

I mean, it'd be neat for a character concept to play a guy who starts off with low wisdom and gains it as he levels and travels and have that be reflected in stats (this is what I did with my old Monk who started off with a lot of Dex and no wisdom), but it just seems disappointing to have a monk in your party who you can't use for anything because he buffed his intelligence instead of a useful stat.

>I know I can't support you guys with any damage or Stunning Strikes, but when that knowledge roll comes around don't worry, I got that shit covered. I mean, the Wizard will probably have it too but hey, why the fuck not?
>>
>>48852347
You have much less hit chance when you do that. 25% less. 4d6+40 averages 54. 4d10+20 Averages 42. 25% less damage for the hit chance on GWM would bring it's average down to 40.5. And you're *STILL* in melee.
>>
>>48852347

Is this a late game specific thing or are the dmgs pretty close along the way?
>>
>>48852391
What do you think aggression is? You think I care what you do? It's not me your 13 AC monk is playing with fampai.
>>
>>48852411

You are a blade lock, I figured you signed up for melee. It's not as good, I'm not going to argue it is as good, but it's the discrepancy between their damage isn't quite as large as you'd think. If you go ranged you're and your DM is nice enough to throw a hand crossbow your way you get sharpshooter and crossbow expert and do decent damage.

I forgot to mention Pole Arm Master too; you can get another d4+20 damage in the GWM build from that as well. It takes two feats and max Strength/Charisma, though, so you'd have to roll well or get the feats via quest reward (or DM Fiat).

>>48852416

Definitely a late game build; at the very least, that's what I based the calculations off of. However, that's also what the Eldritch Blast calculations are based off of too.
>>
>>48852481
>If you go ranged you're and your DM is nice enough to throw a hand crossbow your way you get sharpshooter and crossbow expert and do decent damage
A blade lock can't pact weapon a ranged weapon~
>>
>>48852405
You can roleplay your character however you want. People thinking their stats are a hard binding on how they can roleplay their character are far too rampant in the world.
>>
>>48852405

Punch shit hard dude.

Con for dat HP

I don't see what the problem would be with a Monk that likes to read a lot of books. Could be

fun
>>
>>48852431

>aggression
>passive aggressive
>aggression
>passive aggressive

...do you know what "passive aggressive" means?
>>
>>48852481

Good to know that the dmg isn't quite as big of a gap.

>However, that's also what the Eldritch Blast calculations are based off of too.

Cheeky cunts linking their impenetrable charts...
>>
>>48852553
You certainly think it means something it doesn't, given you think me saying you can play whatever you like constitutes passive aggressive behavior ^_^
Play that 13 AC monk senpai! Roleplay!
>>
If you was the leader of a Alien race trying to invade a medieval world which steps would you take first?
>>
>>48852587

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
>>
>>48852088
This is why I allow my players to pick their caster/supernatural stat. I currently have an Int paladin and a cha monk. Then again my group isn't a bunch of spurgs
>>
>>48852684
Remember to tell us all about your experience man.
We're here for you!
>>
How is fighter in 5e?
>>
Ranged weapon attacks should add the DEX modifier?
>>
>>48852733
Good. Don't get baited by Eldritch Knight or Champion though - Battlemaster is better.
>>
>>48852693
That's fucking retarded.
>>48852733
It's pretty fun.
>>
>>48852754
If it's a ranged weapon. Thrown weapons use strength, unless they have finesse.
>>48852733
Don't listen to this guy >>48852771 EK and Champ are fine.
>>
>>48852780
>Stop liking what I don't like
What I tell you bout' spurgs, son?
>>
>>48852817
They are fine. They're also worse than Battlemaster!
>>
>>48852817
even on damage?
>>
>>48852505

You can pact weapon a ranged weapon if it's a magic weapon. You can't summon a ranged weapon with your pact magic but you can make a magic ranged weapon your pact weapon.
>>
>>48852780
Aside from obvious classes (wizard, sorc) and such there exist no reason for every fracking warloc to be charisma based and every monk wisdom. But the question is; Will your autism allow it?
>>
>>48852845

EK trades the damage increasing options for out of combat and in combat utility via spell casting and cantrips.

If you ask your DM to let you take multiple attacks with your War Magic feature you'll probably be even on damage.

I think it should be allowed by base or that the cantrip>bonus action attack should be switched to attack>bonus action cantrip.
>>
>>48852527

The problem is DND is a team game, and when you dump your important stats for shitty ones that don't really have any mechanical benefit you bring down the team as a whole. There's a reason it's called "the lump".

Some classes can get away with having low stats that are usually important; a low Dex/Strength fighter or something. Monk really can't get away with having no wisdom. You can, but you gain 0 benefit for it and just make the entire table as a group worse because of it.
>>
>>48852883

I'd allow it only if they don't switch from a weak stat to a strong stat.
>>
>>48852954
Well yea, as hilarious as a con based bard would be only Int or wisdom make sense.
>>
>>48853088

>int or wisdom

Wisdom is one of those stats I wouldn't let them switch to, since it can be kind of power gamey to switch from a weak save to a strong save.
>>
Maybe I'm just getting lucky with CON saves but Polymorph seems a little broken. We were lvl 10 (hit 11 after last session) and turning characters into T-rexs and mulching the enemies is super effective. Especially now since the new monster manual was released and there's the Titanaboa among other things. Are we just lucky or something?
>>
>>48853179
If the DM is letting you grab stuff out of third-party books, that's their fault.

But yes, polymorph is best used as a big buff, turning any of your teammates into a T-Rex the level after you get it.
>>
File: first tutotial attempt.jpg (3MB, 3300x2550px) Image search: [Google]
first tutotial attempt.jpg
3MB, 3300x2550px
>>48847428
So I'm making a Bard archetype that focuses on travel, movement, and mobility type things. The level 14 ability states: You learn the Plane Shift spell. It does not count against your spells known.

What else can I do to make this a better archetype capstone? Pic unrelated.
>>
File: tlk sunrise.jpg (66KB, 1280x650px) Image search: [Google]
tlk sunrise.jpg
66KB, 1280x650px
DM's, what do you do when a player asks "what time of day is it?" I have such a hard time managing "time in the game" that I find this question quite vexing.
>>
>>48852883
>there exist no reason for every fracking warloc to be charisma based
Except that every time they use magic it's essentially a persuasion check to ask their patron for some power.
Sorcs, Clerics and Paladins, though, sure. No reason for them to have rigid casting stats (other than multiclassing-related balance, I guess).
>>48852828
>>Stop liking what I don't like
I didn't say that. I said it's retarded. There's a difference. You can like whatever you want, but that doesn't make things less dumb.
>>
>>48853288
I just come up with something that sounds relatively logical given what's happened so far. Like if they've talked to some NPCs and/or each other, browsed a couple shops etc I'd say that a few hours have passed. And I don't give hard times of day, I'll tell them it looks like afternoon or whatever.
>>
File: teach.jpg (120KB, 955x836px) Image search: [Google]
teach.jpg
120KB, 955x836px
I have about 400$ to burn on D&D shit, what should I nab /5eg/? Not too interested in the adventure books since I just make my own campaigns, grabbing Volo's Guide to Monsters when that comes out.
Dice, models, whatever. Anything's on the table
>>
>>48853288
If you mean description-wise, in cities you can mix things up by describing what the people around them are doing. Maybe it's bustling as the markets are about to close for the day? Perhaps the worship of god X happens at noon in this town, and devotees are milling their way to or from the temple of god X.

If you just mean you're not keeping track of time, it's whatever time you want it to be.
>>
Can anyone explain what the fuck that Dungeonology book coming out is?
>>
What's the best strat for sorlocks? I was planning on going 17/3 sorcerer/warlock to grab Pact of the Tome so I could be the utility caster in our party since we don't have a wizard, but after rereading the Book of Ancient Secrets, I realize that I could only load up to 2nd level spells. Should I bump up warlock to 5 to grab stuff like Water Breathing/Walking and Tiny Hut and another invocation and spell level, or should I stay with 3 levels and get Time Stop?
>>
>>48853364

>If you just mean you're not keeping track of time, it's whatever time you want it to be.

I guess that's what I mean, what's a good/easy way to keep track of time?
>>
File: dfffffggg.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
dfffffggg.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>48853351

I kind of regret having bought about 100 dollars worth of minis and then later find out I'm much more comfortable DMing theater-of-the-mind style.

The only reason I draw maps on the grid in the first place is to explain better where the party currently is. Combat I just tell them what's what. Shit gets too damn bogged down and slow, it's hard enough to get players to concentrate on what's going on regardless.
>>
>>48853288

Players sleep for 8 hours travel for 8 hours and the rest of the time is abstracted into shorter rest breaks, sorting out gear etc.

Lets assume the first 8 of travel hours are from 9-5 and anything happens during travel ( random encounter, finding the dungeon etc) Roll a d8 and thats what time it is.

Same can go at night. Imagine watch is from say 10-6. D8 again determines when that pack of night ghouls attacks the party.

As for during play, combats are really quick considering a round is 6 seconds. Most dungeons probably take a few hours, long and short rests being easy to add. You could just roll a d4 to guestimate it, adjust by -1/+1if players are being particular slow or fast

City travel time can be worked out as well with a large city taking about an hour to cross based on pic. You can have clocks chime in them to remind players too.

Long story short it doesnt have to be exact and so is fairly easy to roughly estimate as a result. If you're super lazy to track it just roll a dice when they ask and base it on that and what roughly makes sense (i.e if they just woke up its probably day time, if they just hit the town after a days travel its probably evening).
>>
File: 1458776198290.jpg (17KB, 257x250px) Image search: [Google]
1458776198290.jpg
17KB, 257x250px
>playing CoS
>playing a necromancer
>cleric keeps telling me if I continue the path of evil it will lead to my destruction and despair
>okay.jpg
>find some coffins
>make some deals with strange beings
>get huge skeleton wings and loyal demon dogs
>no longer have to eat anything but bones and grave dirt, can speak Infernal and look badass when I do
>mfw

Suck my dick Jesus
>>
>>48853762
>playing CoS
>thinking this will end well for you
>>
File: face 1460452907703.jpg (260KB, 1360x2048px) Image search: [Google]
face 1460452907703.jpg
260KB, 1360x2048px
With the Monk Deflect Missiles feature, can you catch stuff like fireballs? Magic missiles? I'm thinking you could hadoken that shit using Ki, never really grabbing hold of them/touching?
>>
How do people handle sprinting?

There are no sprint rules that I remember seeing for 5e.

Say
>party needs to get somewhere 500 feet away ASAP

At level 5
>rogue can move 30 feet, 60 feet with dash, 90 feet with double dash
>monk can move 40 feet, 80 feet with dash, 120 feet with double dash using ki
>barbarian can move at 40 feet, 80 feet with dash
>wood elf normal person moves 35 feet, 70 feet with dash
>everyone else moves 30 feet, 60 feet with dash

Is it okay to just do it like that?
What this does mean is that a monk or a rogue is much, much faster than everyone else and will always win.

The chase rules in the DMG are a little bit confusing, but are those what are supposed to be used?
>>
>>48854198
No. Ranged weapon attacks.
>>
>>48854198
It's in the wording.
>missile
>ranged weapon attack

Though only implicit, deflect missiles should not work on anything that does not fire a missile (I can honestly not think of very many cases where this would apply, but perhaps something such as a laser gun which hits instantly)

Now, the other, much more important two things:
>ranged weapon
It must be from a crossbow, bow, blowgun, et cetera. If a mage throws a magical missile at you, this is NOT a ranged weapon.
>attack
It must make an attack roll. A fireball does not make an attack roll. It automatically hits, people roll to see if they can negate any of the damage.
>>
>>48854216
500 feet? Just tell them they get there in a little over a minute. It's not worth worrying over unless someone insists that their faster character gets there way ahead of the group instead of staying back so they arrive at the same time.
>>
File: face the suffering.jpg (65KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
face the suffering.jpg
65KB, 768x1024px
>>48854262
>>48854310
Oh well, fanks4clarification.
>>
Just started work on a Merfolk (water gensai) tempest cleric for a game this week. Does anyone have any suitable character art for me?

Also first time playing a cleric, how righteous should I be?
>>
>>48854416
Well, we had a case with it not long ago.
>dense woodland, so it's not like you can fling 500 feet spells from where you start, not that anyone had such things anyway
>flimsy wizard is all alone fighting monsters because they got unlucky and got into some shit

The wizard will die in a minute, no doubt, and they don't have any elbereth-style spells, only spells that could help stall.
>>
>>48854424
Similarly, if your party rogue is using their 'uncanny dodge' on anything that isn't an attack (Note: Not a weapon attack. This means it can be a spell with an attack roll, such as chromatic orb), call them out on their shit.
>>
File: 99121462003_MordorOrcsNEW01.jpg (54KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
99121462003_MordorOrcsNEW01.jpg
54KB, 600x620px
>>48849520
Those are pretty good. Providing them with a bunch of options is a good way to go I think, let's them be in charge.

You might also spend some time describing the disposition of the enemy forces - where they are, special troops, logistics, that sort of thing. Think of it from the point of view 'where might an attack hurt the enemy'. Come up with a couple of ideas and make sure you describe things that support that idea.

They might decide to assassinate the enemy leader, take out the enemy mage, hit the priest/clerics, take out the power behind the throne (maybe some evil guy is really pulling the strings), take out a bridge to cut off reinforcements, destroy a logistics site. Any number of things really.
>>
>>48851611
>I would be just a hired bodyguard with nothing to say about the story.

There is nothing wrong with your idea. The one problem is the "I would be just" which implies a personal connection between you and the character. I think that is what most people want to avoid.

Make a few NPC fighter types, let them run in to them at a tavern or something, let the players recruit whom they want.
>>
>>48853270
Bump.
>>
Several threads ago someone was brainstorming an idea for a dungeon-sized tavern that was part of a mega dungeon itself. I contributed the troll sausage idea.

I ended up using the tavern idea for a short adventure with a couple of friends and it was pretty awesome. The tavern was run by a dao who claimed even he did not know the full extent of the place. He charged exorbitant rates to stay in the tavern, no one inside the tavern except the dao knew how to leave, but the tavern had hidden treasures that the inhabitants could find to pay the rent. If they paid a large enough sum, the dao would allow them to leave.

The bellhop ogre went over well, and the soylent troll sausage ended up being a neat part of a whodunnit.

The group ended up killing the dao who owned the place at the end of the session. We have one more to go and I'm trying to brainstorm ways to end it. We left on a cliffhanger that the whole underground structure shook as something enormous awakened.

Thoughts? I have details but this is already getting into TLDR length.
>>
>>48852009
OR fix how to recover from exhaustion. If they did thar, the path is fine.
>>
Tell me, is it worth having a magic user take the Magic Initiate feat to give them additional spells from another class? Or is there an easier way?
>>
>>48854881
It makes sense how recovery from exhaustion works - I don't want that changed. I do want forced march rules changed to not be so stupid though.
>>
>>48854915
Honeatly, I like how much of a detriment Frenzy has so you're incentivized to not use it every encounter. But it needs to do more. Maybe scale the rage bonus or something.
>>
>>48854970
>I like how much of a detriment Frenzy has so you're incentivized to not use it every encounter
Yeah! I like it so much I just go bear and take Polearm master to deal more damage!
>>
>>48853299
>persuasion check to ask their patron for power
Not true. In many instances warlocks study their magic, in some it's coincidental (old one pack comes to mind)

>That's not what I said.
Oh yes, all you said was was line with no substance or reasoning. How else is somebody suppose to respond to your post with no argument behind it?
>>
>>48854828
The Dao could have been sort of a puppet or manifestation or underling of something much larger. The death of the Dao may have weakened this great beast within the dungeon, but other parts and aspects of the beast that roam the dungeon must be slain to weaken the beast further.

The more the party members kill, the weaker the beast becomes.

They will be limited somewhat on their rests as the monster may try to send things to kill them.

The overall scheme of the place is that people pay money to get in, and that money adds to the treasury. Since people pay to get out, they often end up with less money, and anybody who dies has only added money to the dungeon's moneypool.

Perhaps the place has been known for a long time, but nobody's been able to deal with the whole dungeon trap as the inhabitants around the tavern dungeon expect to get killed by any monsters it might send out. So, the inhabitants occasionally send in adventurers and the like to appease the beast within and add to its moneypool and hopefully some day one of them will kill it. Because they know if they don't, the monsters from within will only come out and terrorize them.
>>
> Regular DM take a break
> Can't get my 5e fix
Help...
>>
>>48855099
Stop playing on discords.
>>
>>48855082
The group fell into this place from their previous adventure and landed in sand that made them go to sleep. I implied that it was the dao's magic that made them sleep, and some drow (Eberron, so the drow aren't automatically shit heads) they encountered hinted that they've been losing memories, as even they have needed to sleep since entering the place.

The scheme I had in place was that people paid the dao not to enter, but to not be thrown to the metaphorical wolves, since they're presumably stuck in the place.

The dao's motivation was ultimately its own amusement. It considered all treasure within the tavern its own no matter whose hands it was in since no one knows a way to get out besides the 100,000g per person fee service he offered.

So I like the idea that there's something bigger in there, and it would fit with what I've already established if it's waking up because the dao's magic is dissipating after its death. The group actually rallied some of the drow and the trolls they freed to deal with the dao.

I need to come up with what that big creature is. The only thing I see in the 5e monster manual that is stronger than a dao and fits in an underground environment is a purple worm, and I want this last encounter to offer the chance for the group to escape from the tavern-dungeon. Initially the dao would have sold wishes to get out. A lich might work, but I'd need an explanation for why the place shook if it was a relatively small lich.
>>
>>48848610
Obviously pact of the blade, as for invocations...

Armor of Shadows, Agonizing Blast, Beguiling Influence, Eldritch Sight, Thirsting Blade...

I mean, if you really think about things, a lot of these can fit Ganondorf, but I'd say this is the start
>>
>>48855281
You can play on discord?
>>
>>48852088
You study to be (or somehow become) wise as a monk. That's literally a prerequisite for the class fluff wise.
>>
>>48852088
Why do you think all martial artists are monks?
>>
>>48852693
Me too, working great so far with a charismatic cleric. I've only done it for spells though, and only allowing weaker abilities (anyone can use int, wis casters can use cha).
>>
>>48855325
Just know a few people and particularly one person who couldn't play today and the play on discords.

I've played quite a few discord campaigns.

Generally there's a few problems with people showing up, but in one of the campaigns everybody is very consistent and it's still going strong.

The main thing I've noticed from playing on online and on discord is that things are generally very focused on social and player-player interactions, with some fighting.

Personally I find it easy to copy-paste maps from things like excel into discord.
>>
>>48849390
Uh... maybe the fact that while they have those spells on their spell list, they only know 15 spells at level 20, and can only cast 4 times at level 20 between short rests?

I'm all for the warlock, but don't try and act like it has that many spells it can use in a day. Especially if the DM is stingy with short rests/has them be an hour of the adventuring day rather than the 5 minutes one of the variants allows.
>>
>>48855601
>encounter powers in 5e
ma nigga
>>
>>48855466
Wait so they use it without Roll20/similar for the tabletop? I get it if there is very little in-combat but it seems like it would still be better with a R20 game set up as well to use when it does come up.
>>
Anyone run one if the one page dungeon submissions? Some of them look pretty cool
>>
I'm thinking of multiclassing for the sake of RP, and I'm not sure of the optimal way to go about doing so

I'm playing an Acolyte Warlock of the Old One. She was basically a nun who got turned to marble stone by her superior, and was stuck counscious in that form for a whole bunch of years until she lost her mind and some of her memories, reaching up to an old one whom for a deal, "restored" her back to life

(I say "restored" but she walks around the world looking like a marble doctor who vilain.)

Her stats are the same for any human with a Resilient(CON) feat.

But we have come to a point our group's story where my character is recconecting with her lost self (in an adventure we found that the shrieking superior turned her to stone to protect her from some sort of raep demon for example) and I feel really strong that it should reflect by having her begin to multiclass into a divine class

Her wisdom isn't shit at all, and neither is her dexterity, which open up all three option for me, to be either a cleric, a pala or even perhaps a monk and still be a functional player, but after the decision point of multiclassing into one of these, I'm fuck all guided for which
>>
you were a nun, go paladin of vengeance against your former master
>>
>>48856040

I still haven't entirely ruled out the bard, on account of Choir girl
>>
>>48856040
You could ask your DM to switch patron to Seeker
>>
>>48855686
The thing is you can easily implant it as a side-room of a community. You can easily copy-paste things in, and bots can be used for rolls. There's even voice chat.

The biggest set-back is there aren't interactive maps. The DM can manipulate the map and simply ctrl-c ctrl-v into the chat, but it's not quite as nice as the interactive stuff.

Once upon a time, we tried doing D&D on a chan board. It was a bit slow, but it kind of worked.
>>
>>48856040
If she has the drive and will to smite evil then paladin is quite good with warlock, I doubt you're a bladelock but you can still get the melee cantrips and eventually get to pally 5 for extra attack. There won't be a lot left in warlock though, as you normally only put more into it for lifedrinker.
>>
>>48856256

I'm tempted.. What do you think of the pact of the star-chain? Worth dumping the Tome over?
>>
>>48856119

meant to link>>48856040
>>
>>48856459

It would only make sense for her to dump her Warlock progression once she "finds the light" and multiclasses
>>
>>48856467
It is with invocations.
>>
>>48856040
Warlock is fairly fine to multiclass out of.
You cannot go paladin without at least 13 strength.
You should be able to go monk if your dex and wis are decent, or cleric.

Cleric gives you shield proficiency, which is good. Then either heavy armour or medium armour proficiency, both of which might give you a potential AC increase.

Monk probably isnt useful to multiclass into. They get some nice things such as 'dodge as bonus action'
but unless you have very high dex and wisdom or are a bladelock already at level 12 or so, it's probably not worth it.

Consider Cleric. Cleric allows you to use your pact magic spells with cleric spells. You can heal every short rest, which isn't insanely useful but it's different. If you et level 2 spells, you can even cast 'aid' on a short rest - Cast aid on 6 people, then have the party rest for an hour before setting off.

You will become MAD by the choices you want. Normally multi-classing isn't too great if you haven't prepared for it beforehand, but like with all things 5e, it's hard to really fuck up.
>>
How do you use permanent teleportation circles? I know the spell let's you make a temporary one to teleport to another, but is there any casting or material cost needed for moving from one permanent circle to another?
>>
>>48856554

Cast it in the same spot every day for 100 days
>>
>>48856525

I haven't seen any before
>>
>>48856554
Permanent teleportation circles create permanent end points, you still have to cast the teleportation circle spell to teleport to that permanent one.
>>
>>48856605
Because they don't exist unless you or someone else makes them. The UA came out not long ago and came with no invocations for the pact.
>>
>>48856541

It's a home game, I can probably talk the DM into swapping my dex for my strength, if it comes down to it, since the RP justifies it

I only have high dex anyway "because while the stone movement is lumbering and ponderous like that of a golem, her high dexterity represents how the lovecraftianesque presence in our reality is warped and irregular in a way", the idea being that her ability to move as a normal person is a fucked up form of a haste spell

So he'd just let me argue that as she solidifies back into her own mind, the effect of the warp changes, and with the solidity of her presence in the world, her speed goes down, but her strength goes up
>>
>>48856622
So if two places have permanent teleportation circles, they're still casting Teleportation Circle every time they want to move?
>>
>>48856467

it's not that great
>>
>>48856732

If you can do that, maybe see about dropping your warlock levels entirely for cleric or something? A class change?

Maybe that's too gamey or you want to keep your warlock levels. If you want to go Paladin you can also just ask to use your Dex for the MC requirments instead of strength and make a dexadin.
>>
>>48848610
Hi roy
>>
>>48856734
What you make when you cast the spell is described as 'a 10 ft diameter circle on the ground inscribed with sigils that link you...'
However, the end point is specifically stated to be a 'permanent teleportation circle', which is what you create over a year.

The permanent teleportation circle cannot change its sigils, because the sigils are what defines it. If you used it, you'd teleport to the same teleportation circle, because the sigils that determine where you appear lead you to your own teleportation circle.

Not only that, it would mean most world settings with at least level 5 magic (which is assumed, since it says many places in the world have these teleportation circles) would have constant teleportation access without the casting of spells.
>>
>>48856942
That last point is my question. How do permanent teleportation circles work on their own?
>>
>>48856846
You do not need 13 strength to main class as paladin.
You need 13 strength to multiclass into paladin.

Fighter and one or two other classes have flexible requirements - fighter requires either 13 strength or 13 dexterity. Paladin specifically says strength.

I think the reason it specifically requires strength is because while you could make a dexterity paladin, it's kind of limiting munchkinning where dexterity is already one of the best attributes in the game.
>>
>>48856997
He was suggesting to ask the GM to make an exception I believe.
>>
>>48856997

MC = multiclass. that's what the whole discussion was about.
>>
>>48856997
You need to meet the prerequisites of classes you multiclass OUT of too. Or did you mean you don't need 13 strength to single-class paladin?
>>
>>48856982
And that s what I have answered.

Each teleportation circle has sigils inscribed in it.

To teleport using teleportation circles, you match those sigils.

Unless you actively defile the permanent teleportation circle, it will have the same sigils and thus the sigils of the teleportation circle will not match up to another place.

If two permanent circle have identical teleportation sigils, it's safe to assume that bad things will happen.

DM's decision, really.

If it was true that you could have two constantly active no-spell-required teleportation circles, it'd completely change the world setting where people completely forego wagons and instead pay to get access to teleportation circles.
>>
>>48856982
Are you the DM or a player?

I say they work like Stargates and as long as you have some sort of input they work for anyone who knows the sigil.
>>
>>48857047
I misunderstood it as 'main class'. I kind of suck at reading sometimes.

>>48857048
Just that. You don't need the 13 strength to single-class paladin, and I kind of neglected to mention you need it when multiclassing out.

>>48857025
Absolutely nothing stopping that, but if I was a DM I'd make them change dexterity with strength as they previously suggested instead.
>>
>>48857080

I'd be more inclined to just let them MC with Dexterity. Designers think it's okay on twitter too.

I would probably also let them drop their warlock levels or change their patron, since them gaining powers from a fiend doesn't make sense anymore story wise.
>>
>>48857070
I'm trying to come up with a one off game where an adventuring party is hired to dispel a permanent magic circle, given how much that would mess with a town or organisation's logistics. But I need to know how they work first. And what defenses you'd put around one, given they cost 18,250gp and a year to establish.
>>
Is it a good idea for Moon Druid to dump STR and DEX?

I might go with Half-Elf on standard array...
STR 8 DEX 10 CON 14 INT 14 WIS 16 CHA 14

Our rogue use his expertise quota on Sleigh of Hand and Stealth, so I guess I'll have to act as a face.
>>
>>48857159

Then just tweak it.

They take a year to establish. They have a code that lets you land on them. You need a code to activate them.

Trusted people who use it are given a device that holds codes and magically gives them to the circle. All circles can be used two way, as long as you have the code for your destination.
>>
>>48857159

this is the work of at least a level 13th wizard who's dedicated a good portion of a year to it. it's probably well protected.

>>48857176

Since you'll be in animal form most of the time there's certainly nothing wrong with it. I'd just have enough dex to get +2 with medium armor so for those occasions where you're not in animal form (and also for level 1) you're not totally shit out of luck for AC, although later on bark skin will also make that less of a problem.

it's still fine to dump strength because you should probably be casting instead of getting into the thick of things, but it's still nice.
>>
>>48857118
I don't think them having dexterity made much sense anyway. I think they mostly just went with high dexterity because it's required for them to not be squishy, and they just found some sort of reason why they'd have high dexterity.

If they had strength, it'd be less of an excuse and more reality. Big statue type things tend to have high strength and dexterity, and haste only effects speed rather than dexterity, which is something else.

If the designers think it's okay, why didn't they make it flexible like fighter is?

Dexterity is definitely better for the defense aspects of the paladin.
Most people who want to multiclass into paladin would gain more from the dexterity aspects of paladin than the strength aspects - A sorcerer, for example, will not need to use big, strength-based weapons. Though they might get +1 AC from going strength instead of dexterity, the benefits of going dexterity still most likely outweigh strength if you're not a melee combatant and grappler with initiative, stealth, still having good grapple escape rolls, not being trapped in heavy armour (harder to put on/sleep in if your DM is harsh) and all that.

Well, I could go on, but I'm probably just going to bore people.
The point is, I think it's a good thing that the path of the paladin in multi-classing is limited to the strong rather than limitd to anyone rogueish.

Who says 'You must be nimble, stealthy, lithe and good at archery and daggers' to be a paladin over strength?
>>
>>48852608
1) Recon. Without alerting the populace, either observe from afar invisibly or (preferred) send out disguised scouts. See how they are structured, how they fight, strengths, weaknesses, and the most valuable targets to destroy and/or capture. He that knows only himself knows how to avoid losing, but not how to actually win.

2) Plan. What are the aliens' strengths and weaknesses? This will play a great deal into how they can conquer a medieval world.

2A) Infiltrate. For a race that can pass among humans or disguise as such, you want to seed the population with your people so they can be in place for further plans. Even better if you get them into positions of authority. Nothing better than having the few who discover your plans turning to your soldiers for aid...

3) Sabotage. Either subtly or overtly, destroy their ability to defend themselves and, if seeking to destroy rather than enslave people, cut off supplies. Weaken before striking.

4) Conquer. Whether this is done through seeding more and more people into a kingdom or plain destruction of the residents, actually win.
>>
>>48853120
But they already have Wisdom. Switching to Int or Cha are the only options really...
>>
>>48857273

I just think it should be either. A paladin's all about smiting evil and his oath and shit. that doesn't necessarily mean physical strength.

There's already a strength matters class anyways in the Barbarian (although dex barbs are apparently pretty good).
>>
>>48853120
>>48857329
Nevermind, just saw the previous poster was talking about a bard rather than continuing to mention the monk.
>>
>>48853269
>>48853179
Polymorph is a Wisdom save, not Con. Which may actually be worse, but more big creatures have Wisdom save proficiency.
>>
>>48854198
>>48854310
As he said, ranged weapon attacks only.

Interestingly, there is at least one missile-based attack that bypasses the monk. Magic Stone. It is a ranged spell attack that can be fired from a weapon, so the monk can't catch it.
>>
>>48857345
There's almost no point in putting restrictions if you're going to say 'strength or dexterity.'

If you don't have at least 13 dexterity, you're going to have at least 13 strength.

Either that or even a farmhand has better stats than you.

I'd just like to see strength being less of a statdump. Honestly, there isn't a single class that actually needs strength to be effective.
>>
>>48857442

Sure, but it's not the only one in that boat. Not even Wizards really need Intelligence to be effective (although I still would never play one like this). Also it's the same requirement as the fighter.
>>
>>48855601
Now where it gets fun is for Undying (not Undying Light, the super-underpowered patron from SCAG) Sorclocks. They no longer need to sleep and the text clarifies that they still need long rests to remove exhaustion and can still gain the benefits, but you can firmly say that you don't need to take long rests anymore. Instead, grab 8 short rests and convert your spell slots into a much larger supply of low-level slots. Doesn't get started until level 12+ unfortunately (level 10 for warlock ability, level 2 for converting spells into sorcerer points).
>>
>>48857520
Undying light isn't underpowered.
You fuckin get back up at half-health when you drop to zero hp, and do an attack that blinds the shit out of your enemies while doing damage in the same breath.
>>
>>48853762
The DM is turning you into the BBEG
>>
>>48857520
Undying Light is a good warlock archetype dude.
>>
>>48857490
Fighters are kind of the everyman class. That's to be expected of fighters.

I think it's good that not every person can multiclass into anything. It sets the fact that not everyone can become a certain class.

I'd kind of like to see a low-intelligence wizard work. Yes, they could use things like darkness and their class abilities, and spell attacks that don't need intelligence (Such as booming blade) but it limits them a lot, I think.

A dexterity barbarian actually sounds like a pretty nice tank. Especially paired up with rogue.

But that's kind of the point. If you want to go dexterity barbarian and multiclass 5 points into rogue, you have to sacrifice some of your statpoints up strength. You can't dump it entirely because 'Well, I don't need strength anymore, I'm a special barbarian.'
It's not a big sacrifice. That 13 would probably have gone on intelligence/wisdom/charisma anyway.
>>
>>48857560
Dude, read the damn post again:

"Now where it gets fun is for Undying (not Undying Light, the super-underpowered patron from SCAG)"

It is a clarification that it is for the underpowered patron from SCAG, not the overpowerd patron from UA. It might have been ambiguous if it were not for actually stating the document it came from.
>>
>>48857610
Calm your titties anon, people make mistakes from time to time.
It's pretty easy to miss the SCAG part. Most people probably just assume that there's one version of undying light.
>>
>>48857520
Long rests are NOT exclusively sleeping.

Long rest are 8 hours of downtime, which you can only get every 24 hours.

The wording very carefully avoids saying 'sleeping'.

Yes, it can be sleeping. It does not have to be, however. If you do not sleep (In particular, see elves) then it doesn't change the nature of long rests.
>>
>>48857227
9th level Wizard, Teleportation Circle's a 5th level spell. Not saying it souldn't be prtoected, but that's a tier of play lower.
>>
>>48857520
>>48857649
Okay, I mis-read that.

You could avoid sleeping and just claim lots of short rests, as you said.
>>
>>48857610
>Autism intensifies
>>
>>48857273

those smite spells being an exclusively melee atribute kinda say that
>>
>>48857607
Mountain Dwarf Wizard don't need no Intelligence. Just Half-Plate and an Warhammer.
>>
>>48857656

my b, thought teleport was a 7th level.
>>
>>48857646
It's the only RAW patron outside of the PHB! Why must people forget it so much. Okay, that's because it really is an awful-designed subclass that has no cohesive strengths and whose features are either underpowered or extremely situational, but it still exists!
>>
>>48857607

you need to use strength to benefit from reckless attack anyways so it's really not that great with rogue. i don't think dex barbarians use strength at all.
>>
>>48857842
>It's the only Rules As Written patron outside of the Public Handbook
Am I missing something? Rules as written patron?
>>
>>48857732
Dwarf wizards, are a thing, but that doesn't really seem to make sense to me.

A dexterity barbarian works because they're sacrificing big damage for shields and lots of dodging and defence on top of having resistance to damage.

You're not really going to get anything aside from high con out of sacrificing intelligence, and then most spells either have a save DC or require you to make an attack roll. Your melee is nothing compared to other classes.

If you wanted to do that, you should probably go eldritch knight.
>>
>>48857880

there's only 4 "official rules" patrons for warlocks, 3 in the PHB, one in the SCAG book
>>
>>48857801
Teleport is, Teleportation Circle is 5th.
>>
GIMMIE GIMMIE DARK SUN
>>
>>48857843
A strength rogue is a thing.

Rogues do not have to use dexterity in order to sneak attack.

So, you can get a rogue that can not only reckless attack (for automatic sneak attack) but is also very tanky (resistance to damage + uncanny dodge + danger sense, et cetera). Also extra rage damage when you attack with your off-hand weapon. Also multi-attack at level 5 barbarian. On rogue.

Not to mention barbarians getting advantage on initiative checks working will with assassin.

Yeah, I suppose I'm wrong.
Both dexterity and strength barbarians could work with multiclassing into rogue. Still, having the strength 13 requirement stops the game from stepping back and saying, "Hang on, you have a strength of 6 and a dex of 20 with levels in rogue. Why aren't you just a full rogue? Are you trying to metagame me?"
>>
>>48857927
So you were just using the term RAW incorrectly, then?
What a dumbass.
>>
File: 1466965547909.jpg (505KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1466965547909.jpg
505KB, 2560x1600px
Looking for some feedback on this. Wondering if I goofed up or not.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1bLcFjMc
>>
>>48857984
A strength rogue is a thing but if you're going to be a strength rogue/barbarian multiclass you're not exactly a dex barbarian anymore now are you
>also multi-attack on rogue
who cares, all your damage comes from one hit anyways. getting 2 attacks on a rogue isn't really that difficult
>yeah i suppose i'm wrong
at least you admit it?
>>
>>48853351
Invisible Sun.
>>
>>48858042
Actually, maybe I'm not wrong.
The point was that it's to stop really weird combinations. While a strength rogue sounds a bit weird, it's probably a lot less weird than paladins that are all about thievery and having no muscle at all or barbarians - a class all about being strong and punching things hard - having no strength at all, and maybe at least some strength.

Well, whatever. It's not really a big deal either way, but I like that some classes have requirements.

Multi-attack on rogue is still good.
Sure, you have two chances to hit.
You could still miss.

It also allows you to wear a shield and still have two chances to hit with sneak attack.

If you're a barbarian-rogue, not all of your damage is from one hit. If you go two-weapon-fighting then you'll make three attacks. Two attacks get strength modifier, all attacks get rage modifier. You sneak attack bonus won't be as high as a pure rogue.

I think a strength rogue is something I'll have to do sometime.
>>
>>48858232

>paladins who are all about thievery

Dex =/= 'thievery'. It's something that makes you a better thief, but it's not necessarily thievery. Monks aren't thieves either are they?
>>
>>48853351

Godlike purchases:

The Gale Force Nine Spell Cards
Gaming Paper for DMing.
Pick up Out of the Abyss and Curse of Strahd for the awesome adventure and setting info.
>>
Can a thief use fast hands to reload a crossbow using the "use an object" action?
>>
>>48858274
A crossbow is reloaded as part of the action used to attack with it, not as an individual action. The limitation on it as that any given action, bonus action, or reaction used to attack with it can only have one attack, i.e. it doesn't work well with Extra Attack.
>>
>>48858260
I find they very often act much like them.
In the same way, a rogue doesn't have to be a thief. They just typically end up that way.

Aside from a 'strength or dexterity 13' requirement being pretty much like 'You must be playing 5e', having the requirement 'dexterity 13' is allowing people to become a paladin based on those virtues. Being stealthy, being crafty, being good at less honourable forms of fighting.
>>
>>48858274
Rogues don't normally have multi-attack so you shouldn't need to.

You can't normally, but I'm sure a nice DM would let you. It's more than fair and it makes plenty of sense.
>>
>>48858294
Ah alright, I guess I just misread that part then.
>>
So how does dex barb work out? It doesn't seem that bad, better AC, save, initiative etc. but you lose the damage and can't take as much advantage of the strength check advantage. The kicker seems like it would be reckless attack which is much less effective, and GWM for example isn't as good. Still, resistance to all damage, 18 AC at level 1 and getting to 19 and 20 at level 4 and 8 isn't that bad. Worse than the worst core options, or just sub-optimal for barbs?
>>
>player makes a dex bard
>uses rapiers
>acts like a gentleman the whole time
>civilized as fuck
>the only people that can tell are nobles, who find him utterly repugnant and irritating as fuck.
>>
>>48858319

sure but it doesn't necessarily mean it (they're just an incredibly skilled fencer/duelist type dealio) and it doesn't have to be

even then what's wrong with a sneaky thieving paladin? so long as it's justified i don't see anything wrong with a paladin using stealth and other "less honorable" acts to save innocent lives and mete out justice

>>48858378

you can't even reckless attack unless you're using strength for it. i think you want to use a rapier or some other finesse weapon here.
>>
>>48858378
Good at being a really obnoxious beefcake to the DM.

Trash at dealing damage.
>>
>>48858416
Wow didn't even see that, seems even worse then. Can't even come up with too good feats for it, shield master relies on strength.
>>
>>48858416
The entirety of the paladin's class is all about being a role-model.

Being in fit and prim condition, being charismatic. Using the 'force of their convictions.'

Strength is part of their beauty, role-model-ness and showing off.

Sure, not all paladins have to be stupid. Maybe they might want to sneak into an enemy base so they can begin purging.
But they're not about throwing daggers around.

I mean, their abilities are literally called things like 'Aura of Courage'

How can you give off an aura of courage when you're a skulking, thieving little bitch who refuses to stand up for what's right and instead insists of hiding out of sight of the people, or using sleight-of-hand and trickery to win fights rather than raw strength, willpower, manliness and awe?

Yes, paladins have a lot less restrictions nowadays. But they haven't completey devolved into being 'anyone'.
Unless it's an oathbreaker, maybe.
>>
>>48858542

>the entirety of being a paladin's class is all about being a role-model

That's really only the Oath of Devotion.

>How can you give off an aura of courage when you're...

Sneaking around and tricking people is manly in it's own way. There's nothing unmanly about being more cunning than an opponent and out smarting them, after all.

Second of all, you might just be sneaking around to stand up to the real evil. Maybe you silently bursting out of the shadows and striking down evil in one strike is your form of standing up and fighting for what's right (like Batman). You don't have to be a big handsome man in order to fight evil.

Honestly I think your problem is that your view of paladins is way too close minded. Oath of Vengeance sneaking around makes perfect sense a lot of the time and I can imagine Oath of the Ancients doing it too (it's not good if everybody sees your shining beacon of hope sully himself with the blood of the bbeg's guards who are just some dudes).
>>
Gonna give my players this item at some point.

Figure it's about "Very Rare" on the rarity scale, which seems appropriate since my PCs are hitting 9 soon.

Too OP for a high fantasy world or not? They gotta fight a massive amount of either demons or undead soon.
>>
>>48848337
On the topic of the seeker, does anyone see a use for the Pact of the Star Chain? It sounds cool but just having Augury and a short rest based advantage on an INT check isn't super impressive, at least compared to the tome/blade/chain pacts.

I like the Seeker patron but I feel it would be much better to go with one of the other pacts, despite the Star Chain being unique to the Seeker.
>>
Is there a way for sorcerer to be on the front lines and not instantly die? I'm joining a dragonlance campaign and was thinking about a minotaur sorcerer.
>>
How bad is Necromancer as a Wizard?
>>
>>48858640

Realized I didn't cap the bottom after the table.

> If using this feature brings the amount of charges to 5 or lower, roll a d20. On a 1, the gloves expend the entirety of their power, destroying them but doubling the damage dealt by this feature.
>>
>>48858605
>you don't have to be a big handsome man in order to fight evil
Then be literally any other class.
If you want to a holy man fighting evil, go cleric.
If you want to be a stealthy man fighting evil, go rogue.

Oath of vengeance allows it, but is more of a 'I will track them down and kill them by any means' thing.
Oath of ancients is more of an ambiguous 'kindle the light', which doesn't really encourage nor denounce rogueishness.
Oath of devotion and crown is much more typical paladin.

I can definitely see a paladin having dexterity if they want it.
I can't see a paladin being encouraged to potentially have dexterity, though. They can take these side-things if they want, but their class shouldn't be rewarded things like being able to multiclass in and out of it for having dexterity. A paladin can utilitize it, but it inherently not paladin-ish.
>>
>>48858034
Bump for interest. New Favored Soul here.
>>
>>48858696

>then be literally any other class?

why? Paladin's aren't defined by their muscles or perfectly chiseled jaw line, they're defined by their strength of personality and their dedication to their oath. that doesn't mean they all have to carry it out in the same way though. there is literally nothing wrong with a dex paladin, sneaky or master fencer styled at all.
>>
>>48858640
>25d4
I'm gonna assume you're using R20 but that's still a bit much I think. Otherwise they seem alright, probably enough charges a day to be used every combat (depending on how many you run a day) but if a PC is dual wielding that is alright I guess.
>>
>>48858755

Pull back the damage numbers or remove 20 charge blast as an option? It essentially removes a +2 weapon from your inventory so even if you roll above 1 it's still a risky play. Figured it would be justified.
>>
>>48858741
Paladins are sort of defined by their muscles.
They are fighters. If you don't want strength, go cleric. Not that clerics can't have strength, they're just not the same sort of fighter.
They are holy fighters, pretty much.
Fighters are typically either strength or dexterity, and dexterity tends to show a more yielding and trickster fighter. A strength fighter dons that plate armour and becomes the unyielding.
A paladin who yields is not a paladin to any of the oaths.

I'm not saying a paladin can't be a high dexterity paladin, but...

It's the same as putting 'strength 13 or dexterity 13' for barbarian, or 'strength 13 dexterity 13' for rogue.
You might as well even take away the paladin's 13 charisma requirement on the grounds that 'well, paladins don't really have to be sociable, know how to deal with people and the like. They just have to yell at evil a lot and hit it wih their sword.'
>>
>>48858827

>they are fighters. they are holy fighters.

yeah and fighters can mc out with dex or strength and are pretty explicitly designed around using one or the other as a primary attribute so i guess i don't see the big deal here?

>might as well take away the charisma 13 requirement

considering that all of their features revolve around charisma i don't think that's the same. Charisma is the only stat that they are consistently based around and their charisma (although not mechanically represented throughout the entire class) is the entire source of their power. their charisma is way more important than their strength or dexterity.
>>
>>48858755
Actually yea nvm I just realized it's stronger than 9th level cloud of daggers with an average roll of like 65 damage or something. I think I'll stick with 1d4 per charge.
>>
>>48858827
Dude you are just being an oldfag, paladins don't even need a god anymore, they're quite flexible. Fighters are the most versatile, Rogues specifically use dex options and Barbs same with strength, paladin is like the fighter on that scale but with magic and all that. They generally want to be more tanky and get a damage boost so they will more often have heavy armor and be strength-based, but a dexadin is perfectly fine and doesn't mean anything dishonorable or against any oath. Being stealthy is often simply being smart and tactical.
>>
>>48857880
>>48857927
Indeed. All other patrons (Undying Light, Seeker) were released through Unearthed Arcana.
>>
>>48858878
Yeah probably tone it down a bit, I was mostly commenting on the number of dice needed, but the damage is too much (I thought it was self-centered circle so you would damage yourself and allies as well, as a cone it's much better). It is still giving up the best weapons for a while so I'd make it something like 2d8 per 5 charges, so if you save up a while it's a smaller cone of cold.
>>
File: weeping-angel-doctor-who_1000.jpg (176KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
weeping-angel-doctor-who_1000.jpg
176KB, 1000x1000px
>>48856040
Might take a bit of convincing for the DM, but talk to them about you multiclassing into the Favored Soul variant of a Sorcerer, found here: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modifying-classes

You can RP this off by suggesting something like this GOO, sensing this growth and desire in the PC, actually imbues a VERY tiny bit of itself inside her, which gives her that "divine spark" needed to begin down the path of a Favored Soul.

Stops the MAD issues, lets you learn a few spells from Cleric list, but still has you be a blaster mage.

Also, if you get high enough level (no idea what your current level of Warlock is) you eventually sprout angel wings and can literally become pic related.
>>
>>48858877
I think you know given the 'not mechanically represented', but you can go 4 charisma on a paladin and go oath of vengeance to barely ever need charisma for a bit less versatility, though only having an aura of protection of +1 kind of sucks.

But what I was meaning to say with the 'paladins are fighters' is, that is, in comparison to something like a cleric.

Fighters are diverse, and include the more rogueish dex-fighters easily.

>>48858906
Well, why not just remove multi-class level requirements entirely if the point is to allow any class to be almost anyone?

Rogues are a bit unusual, because their abilities do not require them to use dexterity. It does however encourage dexterity. Their armour encourages dexterity and being limited to finesse weapons encourages dexterity, but doesn't force it.
Barbarians, on the other hand, do specifically state that it must be strength for rage damage and reckless attack.

Paladins are kind of on the lines of rogues, in that they're sort of encouraged to go down strength, but aren't told 'we'll take features away if you start wearing medium armour or use finesse weapons.'
They're encouraged to go strength due to the proficiencies in heavy armour and big weapons, alongside their abilities not triggering on ranged attacks.
I'd probably put them on the same lines as rogue, and rogues have a multi-class requirement of dexterity 13.
If you want paladins to have str/dex requirement 13 instead, the same should be said of rogues.
>>
>>48848610
I made a half orc oathbreaker named Zaraban Goldvisor, loosely based on Ganondorf. Good times.
>>
Is Ray of Enfeeblement worth the slot at all? It gives no damage and gives the target tons of chances to save... Wanted to take it to fit the whole necromancy school but it just seems like they'll make their save and I'll have wasted a slot.
>>
>>48859129

>and be just fine

you also can't prepare any spells at all, have no divine sense, and have a shitty spell saving throw DC which is all mechanically important but even fluff wise your power comes from your charisma. You're a fighter but instead of solely focusing on the physical aspect you have some great cause; that's what sets you apart from fighters. You have a purpose. You don't need strength/dexterity to have a purpose.

You're just too set in your ways.

>encouraged to go strength

they're encouraged to go strength the same way fighters are in that they have viable options for both and there's nothing wrong with it and they shouldn't need it.

if paladins have a mc requirement of str/dex 13 and charisma 13 they're still one of if not the toughest classes to mc out of/into because most classes require only one stat and paladins strictly require having a good strength of personal willpower to stick to their oath (represented by charisma) as well as a strong front line fighter (which can be represented by str but also represented by dexterity).
>>
Would it allow for any OP combinations to allow for a monk to substitute Strength for Dex for everything if they have the rule that it can't be used for Rage? It seems like such a small change and Dex is normally stronger anyway, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any abuses.
>>
So, you can only Opportunity Attack something that moves out of your reach.
If you have two attacks, one at 10ft and one at 5ft, does that mean if an adjacent creature moves 5ft away from you, you can't op it?

It leaves the reach of your 5ft attack but stays in the reach of your 10ft one.
>>
>>48859349
Yes. http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/05/12/if-a-monster-has-2-different-reaches-when-does-it-get-opportunity-attacks/

If you are wielding whip in one hand and a rapier in the other, a creature provokes when they leave either your 5-foot or 10-foot reach.

While you're wielding a glaive, you can make an opportunity attack with an unarmed strike if it moves more than 5 feet away from you (because your reach is 5 feet), or with the glaive if it moves more than 10 feet away you from.
>>
>>48858674
Dip in fighter or paladin for armor and ac?
>>
>>48859225
>can't prepare any spells at all
They will have oath spells plus AT LEAST 1 spell. Not only that, but they can burn their spell slots on divine smite anyway.
You get one use of divine sense, even with 4 charisma. One use might well be enough, sometimes.

But really, a paladin without even average strength sounds like a joke character.

Would you seriously rely on a dexterous gnome paladin to give you your courage, protection and to be taken seriously by enemies?

Paladins are about being taken seriously, being the ones you can trust to stand in front and take that sudden blow that would have killed you, to be the unyielding.

They're supposed to look like they have authority, and strength helps with that.
Being a lithe, dexterous man would be good for a clown paladin.

I can't really see dexfighters and rogues and low-strength-rangers who suddenly decide to swear an oath being true paladins. By those standards, paladins would be much more common.

Yes, dex is a viable option for them, but it wasn't intended to be.
Paladins suck a lot more at using bows and such.
They're given heavy armour. And while fighters are given heavy armour, fighters can actually do bows and arrows much better.
Paladins were intended to definitely be strength, it's just they didn't give much incentive to go strength aside from 'have an extra +1 AC' and 'you can use big swords and stuff, I suppose'

Or you could abandon that, go light armour with two-weapon and be basically a holy rogue.
>>
>>48859341
Even with Rage it's unlikely to be OP at all. They get a bit more damage, which still pales in comparison to a full GWM barbarian/fighter/paladin. They still are limited to low-damage-dice weapons and GWM is still unavailable. The only real change is that they're innately better at climbing and grappling and such, instead of being stealthy and acrobatic. They'd also potentially have a Strength-and-Wisdom-based AC, which would be weird but not that broken.
>>
File: 1470986250642.jpg (630KB, 1920x1783px) Image search: [Google]
1470986250642.jpg
630KB, 1920x1783px
>>48859474
I would have agreed before a moment's thought, but according to both Crawford there and PHB195, you get to make melee attack against a provoking creature, not necessarily with the weapon with the reach they're leaving. Obviously you couldn't stretch a fist or sword if they left your 10 foot extended reach, but wouldn't this mean that an enemy leaving the 5 ft reach of your unarmed strike would provoke an attack you could make with your glaive?
>>
>>48859520
>>48859225
I really have a habit of writing overly long posts.

If you want to agree to disagree at any time you're getting tired of this, that's fine.

I'm still standing by that I think paladins are really about standing out in the party and having a presence and to be that strength you can rely on rather than the person who always has a trick up their sleeves to get past someone's armour or get around the system.

That's really my thoughts in short, that it's reasonable to expect paladins to have some level of physical fitness that people can actually respect.
>>
>>48858674
>>48859479
Cleric is also good for max lightning damage if you go that route, though the wis req can be tough. Armor depends on your dex, if you wanna melee you're probably gonna have it quite high so not sure if heavy armor is that great, but shield definitely is.
>>
>>48859578
I had thought of that too, but checked the Sage Advice Compendium so I didn't mention it. RAI, opportunity attacks are meant to be made with the weapon whose reach they're provoked from.

http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SA-Compendium.pdf

Search for "How does a reach weapon work with opportunity attacks?"
>>
Testing to see if this will upload at this filesize

Also what I'm posting is a DM's guide for a setting I'm in the middle of making, it's nowhere near finished though, because college and laziness
>>
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Witch_Hunter_(5e_Background)

A guy in my group asked if he could go with this background for his Oath of Vengeance Paladin. However i said to the group earlier we weren't going to play with Homebrew except for community fixes because we haven't reached higher than level 4 in normal plays anyway. Anyone thinks if i should let him go for it or just have him pick something similar instead? We haven't made characters yet so its still in planning
>>
I'm having trouble with the math. What is the equivalent +X or -X to having advantage or disadvantage on a d20 roll?
>>
>>48859646
oh it actually uploaded, what's the pdf filesize limit here, anyone know?

could some of you guys actually at this and provide some feedback?
>>
>>48859647

>a book that contains all Fey, Fiend or Undead creatures and their descriptions and weaknesses

lol, no.
>>
>>48859647
like >>48859676 says, lose the book or at least nerf it to shit somehow.

Other than that though it seems fine
>>
File: customize background.png (131KB, 130x402px) Image search: [Google]
customize background.png
131KB, 130x402px
>>48859647
That one is OP, miraculously. Says something about that site I guess. There are guidelines in the PHB itself to create custom backgrounds or swap things around, just let him follow that. The feature is also OP but find one of the existing backgrounds that has a fitting feature and maybe alter a bit. Or just say that's as far as it goes and a custom feature is a no.
>>
File: 1441456668312.jpg (196KB, 500x870px) Image search: [Google]
1441456668312.jpg
196KB, 500x870px
>>48847444
Anyone got a download link for that book? I am curious
>>
File: caldaria map.png (535KB, 1634x1178px) Image search: [Google]
caldaria map.png
535KB, 1634x1178px
>>48859646
I like the map, and the idea of a map for the DM and one for the players
>>
>>48859647

>You have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks to identify necromancy, fiendish or fey magic, or a practitioner of any of these techniques (this includes identifiying a Fey, Fiend or Undead, even if they do not directly practice that type of magic). Also you can roll on intelligence checks to recall information about them.

Didn't they get rid of detect evil?
>>
>>48859647
Backgrounds are pretty flexible. They only need to do these things:

a) provide two skill proficiencies
b) provide two less useful skill proficiencies (Tools, language)
c) provide fluff
d) provide a few items to go with fluff
e) provide a mostly fluff feature that ties you to the world (Criminal fence, sancturary in church, etc)

Let's see how well this does it.
a) - Good. If it had said something like 'athletics, perception' (probably some of the two best skills) then I'd be doubtful. But, sailor already does that.
b) - Bad. REALLY bad. Two languages plus alchemist tools plus gaming set? Why are they getting two extra free proficiencies? Also, alchemist's tools should probably be 'any one artisan's tools', but whatever.
c) - Yeah, I suppose it does this.
d) - Ohohoho. Hohohohoho. Absofuckinglutelynot. As other anon pointed out
>a book that contains all Fey, Fiend or Undead creatures and their descriptions and weaknesses
What's so special about this background that makes it deserve such things over other things? The sage gets a 'book of lore', but this book of lore is... Anyway, moving on.
e) Giving advantage to checks? No. This is not how it's supposed to be done. Getting to recall information just like that? Okay, I'm going to have to stop it there, buddy.

This is broken as heck, and he thinks he can get away with it.

I'll propose a fix for you next post.
>>
>>48859812
>>48859702
>>48859699
>>48859676
Thanks for helping out! I'll think about it a little more and try to purpose some alternatives for him to get it working. He wasn't too impressed by the background in Curse of Stradh books too
>>
>>48859647
>>48859879
Okay, I said I'd make a fix to it this post, but that background is completely unsalvagable.

Everything about it is fucked.

It's not a background, it's a 'I've already been an adventurer for five years' thing instead of 'I actually am a normal [race] being.'

You can always send him a background-making template:

1. Choose what the background is. It should not be anything too far-fetched, but it can be more far-fetched than in the PHB as those ones are designed to apply easily to characters
2. Choose two skill proficiencies.
3. Choose two minor proficiencies. Tools, gaming sets, languages, et cetera.
4. Choose items that you could otherwise ordinarily obtain, including some that are mostly fluff.
5. Feature. The feature shouldn't always affect gameplay, but might do if players come into realms of your background. Outlanders gather food, clerics find shelter in their churches, criminals can get in contact with the rogue's guild. These are purely social benefits, or being able to get a bit of food and drink and a place to stay sometimes. It might even simply be knowing something about the world. It should never have any rolls even hinted at within it.

Give them that simple template and if they somehow fuck that up you should start doubting your player.
>>
Hey everybody, I'm working on a campaign and I'm trying to introduce a new mechanic for monsters. Rather, reinterprete how some actions work.

I have a number of Slave-other name creatures. They're mostly 1/8 or 1/4 CR with below average combat stats, but an extra action they can use as a reaction. Whenever a Slaver/Slave Master/etc. performs a specific action, all Slaves within a certain range can use their Chain Gang reaction. What this does varies based on the individual slave profile I use, but could I get some input as to how balanced this can be?

The 1/8 CR Slave Fighter is able to either take a 5ft movement or perform the assist action. The 1/4 CR Slave Warrior (who also has significantly lower speed due to armor and being chained together) may either move 5ft in formation, or make a basic attack for every two Warriors chained in formation.

I wanted to have the mooks be a bit more threatening, but not too badly. The Slavers tend to be a bit weaker than their CR would suggest because of the reactions they give slaves. Do these effects seem too strong at these CR, or are they not strong enough?

Sorry for the bad grammar/pacing, and any slow replies - I'm on my phone right now.
>>
>>48859947
I sent him the template now, telling him that either he could pick a pre-existing one or do something with the template if he really wanted to. Thanks for the help.
>>
>>48860001
I'm just here to see people post things like that witch hunter background.
God that was awful.
>>
Help, a virgin wizard 10/10 has decided I'm her husbando, but I have a waifu.
>>
>>48860260
Tell her that you have magical STD's
>>
File: start climbing.jpg (351KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
start climbing.jpg
351KB, 1920x1080px
>>48860260
>>
>>48860278
NOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>48858669
Augury and ADV on INT Check compared to a shitty weapon, 3 free Cantrips or a Super Awesome Familiar. If we aren't talking about Invocations it is about as good as Tome but with Invocations everything else is better.
>>
>>48853351

Good writing implements and paper make a difference. Blackwing Palomino 602 pencils, Uniball Signo DX pens. Rhodia/Moleskine/Leuchtturm1917/whitelines/fieldnotes for notebooks.

GameScience dice(they had the translucent(GEM) dice in stock 3 days ago when I looked)
>>
>>48851677
The SCAG Cantrips are pretty neat for a Bladelock.
>>
Anybody have a link to all the /tg/ character sheets for 5E?
>>
>>48860424
Aren't most of them unusable after level 5 when you buy your extra attack with class features other warlocks get to spend on something else?
>>
>>48859661
I think PDF limit is just around 4 MB, so you probably hit the limit.
>>
>>48860424
If you're using SCAG cantrips, don't even go pact of the blade. Go pact of the tome and pick up shillelagh.
>>
New thread >>48861000
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.