[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Here Be Giants Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 369
Thread images: 36

File: CqA86cFVMAAGuM1.jpg (358KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
CqA86cFVMAAGuM1.jpg
358KB, 1536x2048px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Old thread
>>48819848

SKT is officially printed and shipping! https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/765678998319800320

Official release September 6th, expect August 31st for WPN stores.
>>
Working on a plain jane blank slate straightforward Sorcerer archetype in the same vein as Champion Fighter.

Main class ability would be Improved Spell Critical: Crit on spell attacks increased to 19-20.

Maybe a Recharge feature like creatures get, but for spell slots.

Additionaly Meta Magic perhaps?

Thinking something along the lines of Paragon or Exemplar bloodline. Like a direct descendant of an Epic Hero of the Ages type.
>>
File: fuckdragons.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
fuckdragons.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>48832950
QUICK, GIVE ME STATS ON THE FIRE GIANT ROBOT
>>
Maybe more generic a question than a 5E one, but is Chessex the way to go for dice? They're certainly the most common, and I don't need anything fancy, but is there a better way to go in a vaguely similar price range? Yes, I'm a newfag to RL /tg/ing.
>>
I usually play the trickster type and need to roll up another character.

I don't want to repeat myself and be the guy that always plays X type of character.

What can I roll that rewards imaginative thinking and dubious morals?
>>
>tfw you want to add a mad science antagonist type whose culmination would be a magic-enhanced clockwork robot
I'm thinking of not letting it get flight to tone it down a little, with the idea that flight is still something the creator has yet to figure out, it would also not be intelligent, just well programmed.
>>
>>48833008
I don't know if there is a specific "way to go", but Chessex does a good job all-around. Really, the most important thing for you when deciding what dice to get is which ones interest you.
>>
>>48832991
Take a giant.
Give it fire immunity.
Make its hits do fire damage and give it a weak point/social cheese that allows the players to attack it somewhere other than head on.
>>
>>48833020
Bard or Feylock?
>>
>>48833049
anon why would anyone want to attack the fire giant robot when they could kill its masters and use it to fight everyone else
>>
>>48833020
In addition to >>48833061, Ranger and Rogue
>>
>>48833027
Make it like an Amazo ripoff, it can copy any spell cast on it like a very powerful wizard, but limit its ability to prepare and cast based on its level. Add immunity to a magical element based on what it's using, under the pretense hitting something that absorbs magic while it's casting a fire spell only redirects your power to the spell.
>>
>>48833080
Su
Per
Man
>Robot proceeds to destroy the town because the masters didn't label any of the controls.
>>
>>48833115
That sounds great, so essentially a beefier version of that TOEE spell that does the same? Absorb element or something?
>>
>>48832991
Can the giant robot be piloted? My decision to buy this adventure hinges on it.
>>
>>48833171
>Use the geass spell
>Who wants to go dragon hunting motherfuckers?!
>>
File: dontletgo.jpg (58KB, 610x457px) Image search: [Google]
dontletgo.jpg
58KB, 610x457px
>>48833171
Define 'piloted'.

Do you want to sit inside a control room in the robot and operate peddles and levers?
Ride on top of its head or on its shoulder while shouting commands?
Stand on the ground in the distance and operate it by remote control?
>>
>wolf gets advantage if an ally is within 5 ft
If I park a familiar on the wolf, would it get advantage whenever it attacks?
>>
>>48833213
https://youtu.be/sH_6iFYiryY
>>
>>48832646
Let me put an example, in Anima you can start with a guy who moves at mach 1 and can lift 50 tons, create earthquakes when he hits the ground and jump hundreds of meters. All of this barely at 3rd level (arguably you can do it at 2nd level).
You can also play Sasuke and copy all techniques enemies use on you with your sharingan, and every turn you fight against a dude you get bonuses because you're "learning and anticipating" his moves.
Etc

It's ok if you like 5e, I also do, but 5e can't do everything, specially not high fantasy anime games.
>>
>>48833237
One or two would be best, but so long as it's controllable I'm happy.
>>
So I guess still no word about mystic huh?
>>
>>48832950
Are there character options in said book?
>>
>>48833312
Make a potion dealer.
In exchange for a small hook event/favor he rewards them with a powerful potion.
It gives an amazing boost for one encounter.
Then when it wears off it gives them a stat drain that's "some bullshit Anon."
When they go back to the potion maker he offers another potion that can fix the stat drain instantly, for free. Then offers various other potions to the players.

The players now think they are getting i win buttons for a logical price.
It's actually some dark magic demon shit and they're slowly being corrupted by making deals with this guy, but are too distracted with the perceived cost and gains to figure it out.
>>
>>48833265
>can start with a guy who moves at mach 1 and can lift 50 tons, create earthquakes when he hits the ground and jump hundreds of meters
Eagle Barbarian, done, wasn't that hard.
>>
File: GreatWheelMap.jpg (380KB, 1600x1205px) Image search: [Google]
GreatWheelMap.jpg
380KB, 1600x1205px
yo /tg/ I went ahead and made a campaign, but it's missing things to temp the more impulsive players and cause the party to quarrel. Shit like possible cursed items/chests, shady people offering quest rewards that are to good to be true, such and such. Any body got a few ideas off the top of their heads?

>>48833414
Thanks, remade the post because I forgot to actually include a question.
>>
>>48833398
That are readily-available for players and not stuff like magic items that DMs can throw in? Probably not.
>>
>>48832985
Keep in mind champion is bad and that you shouldn't model it to the degree where it becomes the strictly worst sorc archetype and I can see it working. It does sound a bit like draconic though, tougher, stronger, better in various ways and you do more damage with spells.
>>
>>48833443
No problem, also the corruption can take the form of those stat drains coming back if they refuse a deal from a demon, or from being in contact with holy items.
>>
Postin' for other people's use - this is a good archetype and is officially balanced!
>>
>>48833498
This too. Not as good as the imp, but on par with quasit and sprite.
>>
>>48833476
>Champion is bad
Get a load/ of this guy.
>>
>>48833443
Maybe add some situations where looting or stealing from innocents would be both easy and very profitable

If you've got anyone in your group playing a moralistic character that should incite some conflict
>>
>>48833702
Well, it's boring.
>>
>>48833424
Are you implying a barbarian is strong enough to break down a wooden door held in place by a goblin, let alone life 50 tons or create earthquakes?
>>
>>48833807
Boring and bad are not the same thing.

Wot4E monks is varied and mechanically interesting, but is bad.
>>
>>48833702
Champion is bad until level fucking 18.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JIrEV1RFv6yxWEdqG6zP3z-ZONDTacquGyqYj8G-CdE/edit#gid=1769534668

And even then battlemaster still does far more damage while bringing more utility.
>>
>>48833807
That's more reasonable, though if you've got a lot of opportunity for roleplay, it becomes a less boring character to play. Basically, if you're making a champion, make sure you do a good job of breaking down doors (over a monster's head) and leaping over pits (for leaping slash). Put high charisma and woo the ladies, or whatever.
>>
>>48833842
A Barb couldn't even break down a wooden door WITHOUT a goblin holding it, come on.
>>
>>48833887
Watch out, someone might pull the 'mother may I?' argument out on you. Because y'know, everything has to be codified with a specific action or rule tied to it or else you can't do it, right?
>>
>>48833887
The problem with this approach is anyone also playing a more interesting class can do the same shit just as well.

>WARNING: CASTER/MARTIAL DISPARITY TALK
There's nothing particular about the Fighter class that lends itself to unique object/world interaction that a Paladin or Cleric couldn't, let alone a Wizard if you're fine with needing to roll a whopping TWO points higher on a physical check. While a Champion is supposed to be a SUPERIOR ATHLETE, half of that ability's functionality doesn't even work, and a Battlemaster could at least argue their maneuvers should be useable out of combat (Menacing Blow without hitting someone to strike fear into them, Pushing Attack to knock an object outta the fuckin' park). Champion's only got jumping slightly better, and that's both niche and bad. Skill checks as a means of doing "interesting things" both in and out of character are terrible for solving this problem since there's no barrier that prevents casters from utilizing them, but you do simply have martial classes/archetypes with no spell slots.
>IT IS NOW SAFE TO READ THE REST OF THE POST

>wooing with Charisma
Any DM that says you can't pick up chicks with your 20/16/20 Fighter because their Cha is 10 needs to get the fuck out.
>>
>>48833959
1d4 damage
>>
>>48834008
>16 dex
Fuck that.
I'm not wasting ability scores on that shit - 10 dex, heavy armor all the way. If I want initiative I'll take fuckin' Alert.
>>
>>48833893
uh oh Bob, looks like you rolled a 1, Rothgar bounces feebly off the wooden door and starts sobbing on the ground
Now for Jimminy the Sickly Wizard's attempt. A high roll, he smashes the door to pieces!
>>
>>48833049
this is probably 100% right. actually probably it doesnt even have the second half of this post
strahd was just a vampire.
>>
>>48834106
>your greataxe attack does not overcome the door's HP or harness, and so the blade gets stuck in the rotting wood
>malfestio the wizard casts his fire bolt cantrip and deals a whopping four damage, which is clearly enough to send the door flying into flaming toothpicks
>>
>>48834101
But Dex saves are great.
Shit, my Fighter's got Resilient: Dex and Wis on top of Shield Master. I cannot be fucking stopped by any means.
>>
>>48834177
>Resilient: Dex and Wis
Bruh.
I hate to break this to you but...
>>
Gonna be starting up a new group for D&D. Really want to start with a modified Death Frost Doom for 5e, just because it so easily sets up a campaign in the aftermath. Do any of the actual 5e modules make for a really great campaign start?
>>
>>48834177

>resilient dex AND wisdom

Anon...
>>
File: 1471108057480.jpg (711KB, 1400x1310px) Image search: [Google]
1471108057480.jpg
711KB, 1400x1310px
>>48834177
>Resilient: Dex and Wis
i just wanted to get in on saying Anon I...
>>
>>48834234
Lost Mines is great.
>>
>>48834234
Lost Mines is praised for that a lot. I'm actually in a Death Frost Doom campaign now, been running for 2 years and the world is still going to shit so it's working quite well. It's not like it's very hard to convert, though I wasn't the one to do it.
>>
>>48834236
>>48834230
>>48834299
Only a faggot would have a problem with taking this feat multiple times for different attributes.
>>
Should I grab Ritual Caster(Wizard) for my Moon Druid?

Lessen the Wizard workload.
>>
File: only a faggot would.png (184KB, 390x318px) Image search: [Google]
only a faggot would.png
184KB, 390x318px
>>48834326
>>
>>48834326
>Only a faggot would have a problem with taking any feat multiple times as long as it doesn't stack
FTFY. Seriously, why can't I have an extra die for taking martial adept for the second time, or 3 more skills from skilled, more languages from Linguist etc? Most feats that give non-stacking bonuses suck anyway.
>>
>>48834351
No. It's not worth it. Ritual Caster is not a very good feat.
>>
>>48834358
kek

>>48834351
If you have a wizard, they should get every ritual spell there is already, not sure what you mean by lessening the workload.
>>
>>48834358
perfection
>>
>>48834326

The rules state that the only feats you can take multiple times are the ones that explicitly state that you can.

There's only one feat that says that. It's not resilient.
>>
>>48834358
Mearls would be totally OK with it, though. He may be a fag but he's not a faggot. Crawford is the guy who's going to explicitly disallow multiples of Resilient or what >>48834363 said
>wah only that elemental spell thing can be taken multiple times
>>
I actually think it makes perfect sense that you can't take Resilient multiple times. It should be hard to get more saving throw proficiencies.
>>
>>48832673
Oh, ok. That makes sense.
>>48833443
Deck of many things is a great way to get the one sane party member to premetively kill any chaotic stupid members before they can use it. (Least, it's the only time I've ever gotten involved in PVP.)
>>
>>48834470

my big problem with "see my guy is badass with this feat setup" is that if the feat setup isn't legal by RAW it means your chances of getting it are highly diminished, since it means you go from saying "I take this" to "DM could you let me take this".
>>
>>48834470
Indeed. Then the Rogue ability to get Wisdom becomes a significant thing, the only one (besides Monks who get everything, including death saves) who can get the big three all covered.
>>
>>48834470
Just be a Paladin and get what is essentially proficiency in all saves. Or a Monk and ACTUALLY get proficiency in all saves.

Seriously, what level are we operating at that we think everyone's grabbing 2-3 bonus save proficiencies? The majority of classes only get five chances to do that, and it has to be balanced against the benefits of gaining +2 to a stat or +1 to two. Every frontliner should want to burn 3-4 of these on maxing out their Str/Dex and Con, casters are looking for Dex and Wis/Int/Cha.
>>
>>48834470
It's a unique class feature of monk that they eventually get proficiency in all saving throws.

I don't think you should be able to take resilient multiple times myself either desu.
>>
>>48834545
monk 14, paladin 6
>>
>>48834504
Forgot about the deck, thanks man, that's the kind of party conflict I wanna see.
>>
So why exactly can the bladelock not bond with a sentient or artifact weapon? It seems arbitrary especially when EKs can bond with 2 of them.
>>
>>48834545
Add on to this that nearly every group fizzles before the non-Fighters get their third ASI. Almost no one is playing level 12 games. This simply isn't a concern.
>>
>>48834584
most the people in /5eg/ don't actually play

they just spend their time min maxing characters to level 20 that they'll never play (and if they did ever get to play, wouldn't make it past level 6~) and sperging about shit that doesn't happen like what yall are discussing
>>
>>48834631
???
i'm going to a game in an hour, that i go to every week
>>
>>48834658
then you're not most the people in 5eg
>>
>>48834677
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit
also checked
thats sad that most of us aren't in games. i wouldn't want to play with most of the posters here, but a lot of them seem pretty cool.
>>
First time playing DnD as a wizard, wondering what feats/skills/specializations (or lack thereof) to choose so i won't get totally btfo

i'm playing as NG so i figured i'd just be kind of a go-along guy and try to stay insulated from getting buttfucked while keeping my party alive for the most part.

i was thinking about being an abjurer but there's so much info to go through i can't really see an endgame for any specialization, and im a noob so i dont really know what kind of situations im going to be in
>>
>>48833460

When are we getting player option i want to see them in official book
>>
>>48834677
I just had a game earlier today and will be doing another session friday. I also have 20 characters that I'll probably never get to play, though in my defense they aren't "pally 6/bladelock 14" but actual characters. Still, arguably a bit autistic.
>>
>>48833424
>Eagle Barb
Can't even move at 100 kmph
Can't even lift 3 tons
Can't even jump 30 ft
Can't even push back a dude 10 ft, less create an earthquake

>done
Not done
>wasn't that hard
What? not accomplishing even 1% of what an Anima character can do?
>>
>>48834725
Max int. Take Alert. Then take Lucky/Resilient (Constitution)/Warmage as your last feats if you make it that far.
>>
Would Barkskin work with the Barbarians unarmored defense?
>>
>>48834817
Barkskin makes your AC 16 if it's lower than that.

That's all it does. So unless your unarmored defense is lower: no.
>>
>>48834786
what about concentration?
>>
>>48832950
Hello!
My players are interested in hiring trainers to teach them proficiency in a skill, and sometimes to acquire feats.
How long should it take for them to learn proficiency in a skill/gain a feat, and how much should it cost?

3 skills should equal the price for 1 feat, for reference. And it should take 3 times the time it takes to learn a skill to learn a feat. I know this because of the Skilled feat, which just gives you proficiency in three things.
>>
>>48834786
>/Resilient (Constitution)/Warmage
>>
>>48834817
No, but I think Mage Armour or Dragon Bloodline Sorc's natural armour do.
>>
>>48834874
>>48834884
^
Lucky also would let you reroll a concentration check.
>>
>>48834886
Those don't either. If something gives you another AC calculation, you choose which you use. You don't stack them.

So with mage armor, a barbarian can either use 13 + Dex, or 10 + Con + Dex.
>>
>>48834884
>>48834917
specialization ideas? or should i just go general for my first time?

theres already a conjurer in my party
>>
>>48834877
I think it depends on the skill, and arguably on the method of training and talent of said trainer.
Dumping a character on a deserted island for a couple weeks and telling them to stay alive could reasonably get them Survival proficiency, for example. But Arcana might take months of dedicated study.
>>
>>48834961
There is no generalist wizard school in 5e if that's what you mean.
Divination and illusion (if you're going to reach level 14) are the most optimal schools in the game for sheer general power and utility, but none of the wizard schools are actually *bad*.
>>
>>48834658
Yeah; I'm about to start two online games, and in a month and a half a new game will start where *fucking gasp* I get to be a player for the first time in five years.
>>
>>48834988
They should all reasonably take the same amount of time, since three skills equals one feat. There is no need to overcomplicate things by giving each skill a different time/cost.
>>
>>48835023
>and in a month and a half a new game will start where *fucking gasp* I get to be a player for the first time in five years.
guarantee you it falls apart before it even starts
>>
>>48835036
I will admit that it is a possibility. The DM...well. He's shit, and wholly convinced he's God's gift to DMing and his ideas are perfect and his shit doesn't stink.

But, it's an opportunity to play. When it falls apart--which it will--I have another campaign almost ready to start.
>>
>>48834990
i think we're playing 3.5

also it's a level 1 wizard so i just need ideas for starting feats
>>
>>48834381
Why?
>>
File: I have a question.png (12KB, 254x166px) Image search: [Google]
I have a question.png
12KB, 254x166px
>>48835067
>i think we're playing 3.5
Then why are you asking for help in a 5e thread?
>>
>>48835067
Shouldn't you be in a 3.5 thread then senpai?
If you're a wizard in 3.5, you're pretty much gonna be a god no matter what you do as long as you pick the right spells.

Here's a list of non-shit spells in 3.5 for you by school.
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.msg8049#msg8049
>>
>>48835072
You only get the ritual spells of one class, beyond the first level spells you have to *physically find* other ritual spells in written form (again, for only that one class) in order to add them, and there aren't that many actual ritual spells in the game.
It's not terribly powerful and it's restrictive in forcing it to scale (and it doesn't even scale all that well).
I can name quite a few other feats that will more consistently simply be more helpful.
>>
>>48835067
>i think we're playing 3.5
l o l
o
l
>>
>>48835024
I agree when it comes to skills, but feats should be much more varying as they are very variable in their power.
>>
>>48835109

is there a 3.5 thread? i figured all DnD would go in the same place... sorry i usually browse /k/

>>48835109
thx señor
>>
>>48835182
>is there a 3.5 thread?
dead edition
>>
>>48835272
It says a lot about the players of it that they are too neckbeardy even for 4chan. Or they're just lurking.
>>
>>48835182
most 3.5 players have moved to pathfinder, which has an active general. it's probably the best place to ask about it.
>>
File: pedofinder.png (20KB, 260x435px) Image search: [Google]
pedofinder.png
20KB, 260x435px
>>48835311
It's also the best place to ask whether you should play a catfolk futa or a kitsune loli.
>>
Had a player drop out for a low level intro game. Do I let it rock and adjust for 3 players instead of 4, playtest a homebrew class option for an NPC/ make a character that I've been sitting on forever so the players have some help, or scramble to find someone to replace?
>>
>>48834307
>>48834324
I'll check out Lost Mines then, thanks anons. Yeah the fact it just naturally leads to 'world's going to shit, wat u do' is part of the attraction.
>>
>>48835182
I think they pop up every now and again but not often.

>>48835272
>>48835291
Some of my friends still insist on playing 3.5 anytime they want to play DnD. I'm almost positive the main reason is because they are too stubborn/lazy to learn 5e. Ironically enough though, one player doesn't really even understands 3.5 while the other one is a power gamer who shoots for immortal psions/mages with all of her characters using her knowledge of 3.5.
>>
>>48835381
You can do all three. Tee up balance slightly, maybe pull in some temporary NPCs (I would use more than 1 and have them swap in and out) that the PCs can *ask* for help, and ultimate screen for a new player for the game. But they can join later if necessary.
>>
>>48835272
yea thats why i asked here. so... is transmutation good?

all i read is that you should either specialize in conjuring or transmuting and i already have a conjurer in the party so..
>>
File: 1470555204037.png (531KB, 920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1470555204037.png
531KB, 920x1200px
>>48835347
This place ain't bad for it either. I've gotten quite a few character concepts from these threads - pic related is explicitly one of them.
>>
>>48835427
Go to the pathfinder general dude.
>>
>>48835453
righteo

ciao belle
>>
If a fighter has the Duelist fighting style and multiclasses as a monk, they might use their action to attack with a longsword and a bonus action to make an unarmed attack.

So if a fighter/monk does this type of fighting a lot, would you still give them the +2 damage from the Duelist fighting style? On one hand, they're holding only one physical weapon. On the other hand, their other hand is a fucking weapon.
>>
>>48835493
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/10/11/dueling-unarmed-strikes/

RAW dueling will onlyt function on your longsword. Also, you won't get the martial arts bonus attack when you're using a longsword. You'd need to use a monk weapon, which a longsword is not.
>>
>>48835493
Unarmed strikes are not weapons.

Also longswords are not monk weapons, so they're going to have problems with that.

Any attacks they make with a weapon only held in one hand will have the +2 damage. Their unarmed strikes never will.
>>
>>48835526
>Unarmed strikes are not weapons
It's funny, because while that's true, unarmed strikes are still considered melee weapon attacks.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/15/melee-weapon-unarmed-strike/
>>
>>48835540
Does that mean the same fighter/monk, if they went Champion, would critical on 19-20 on every attack, especially those granted by Fob?
>>
>>48835540
Yes, it's because many things that go off "melee weapon attacks" are simply intended to go off when you attack or hit in melee, but not with a spell. That way you can smite with an unarmed strike, do a maneuver with an unarmed strike, get rage bonus damage to unarmed strikes, and so on.
>>
>>48835427
idk i haven't played 3.5 since i was in middle school
>>
>>48835595
Yes, you get the crit range increase of champion fighter's improved critical on unarmed attacks.
I don't recommend doing that dip - battlemaster would still be the better option.

>>48835600
Yes.
>>
>>48835540
Indeed, but that is part of the distinctions in the system. For example Sharpshooter's first two benefits apply to all ranged weapon attacks, so they work just as well when you toss your melee weapons at the enemies as use a designated ranged weapon. The third benefit, the -5/+10 effect, only functions with attacks from a ranged weapon. So while being a better marksman helps you throw impromptu projectiles, only the dedicated weapons are precise enough for the "BOOM, headshot."
>>
>>48835661
Yes.
>>
>>48835180
No, just...keep it simple, man.
Shit doesn't have to be complex.
How long should 1 skill take to train, and how much should it cost on average?
>>
>>48835708
A language or tool proficiency takes 250 downtime days and 250 gold to learn. If you want to count a weapon as a tool, and weapon master gives you four weapon proficiencies, it would be 1000 gold and 1000 days to learn. So about 350 days and an equal amount of gold. Granted this is only if proficiency with a weapon counts as much as proficiency with a tool or language.
Feats that include an ability score increase would probably be 500 gold and 500 days.
>>
>>48835811
Er, if you don't include the ability score increase with it I mean.
>>
>>48835708
I don't think it should be on demand, give it out as rewards from quests, during downtime when it makes sense etc.
>>
>>48835658

i honestly don't see the point in dipping fighter as monk. you don't get a lot compared to most other classes dipping, imo.
>>
How often do you, as a DM, take a monster's stat block and use it to represent something different? My players are pretty bad about inadvertent metagaming so I've taken to doing it fairly often to prevent them from quickly identifying what they're dealing with.
>>
>>48835856
Well, it's not really your game. You can do what you want in yours, anon. All I'm asking for is a reference for what seems appropriate price/timewise.

>>48835811
Thanks, anon.
>>
>>48836041
I concur. Rogue/ranger are much better dips so long as your DM is reasonable.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/24/monk-sneak-attack/
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/10/11/dueling-unarmed-strikes/
>>
>>48836113

The best part about the rogue 2 dip is Cunning Action and Expertise, screw sneak attack honestly

though it's not hard to get since you can use any weapon past level 11. i could see dipping a level or two into warlock for hex too, 1d6 extra damage every hit is nothing to sneer at.
>>
best feats for a lvl wizard specializing in transmutation with no evocation or enchantment?

gotta choose something from the phb
>>
So I just realized a cheesy, if rather ineffective, way to combine both Sharpshooter's and GWM's -5/+10 benefits.

1) Take a longbow or heavy crossbow. These are both ranged weapons that have the Heavy modifier.

2) Sharpshooter gives -5/+10 when "you make an attack with a ranged weapon that you are proficient with". Whacking someone with a longbow or heavy crossbow, according to PHB p.148, is an improvised melee attack with 1d4 as the damage, but it is both an attack and coming from a ranged weapon, so the -5/+10 is applicable. Do note that since using it in an improvised manner removes proficiency bonus, you will likely need Tavern Brawler as well.

3) GWM triggers when "you make a melee attack with a heavy weapon that you are proficient with", and we are making a melee attack with a heavy (ranged) weapon. So we get another -5/+10.

So for the low cost of three feats and a -10 to the attack roll, you can be doling out 1d4+Str+20 damage while looking ridiculous!
>>
>>48836162

Are you the same wizard who people just told to post in the pf thread posting in the wrong thread?
>>
>>48836160
I'd prefer a dip into ranger over warlock, given you don't need the 13 charisma + hunter's mark is almost as good as hex. Colossus slayer from hunter is also beneficial.
>>
>>48836056
For my last campaign, constantly. I was converting Isle of Dread to 5e with the added bonus of HORRIBLE LOVECRAFTIAN TENTACLE MONSTERS so I had to brew a lot of fun stuff.

Also, botfly swarms.
>>
>>48836100
While I personally wouldn't use the rules in my game, there is a houserule I used for tool proficiencies to encourage people to try broadening their horizons.
>While you're training for a proficiency, you can add half your proficiency bonus to any check you make with the tool you're training in.
Gives them a bonus now with the promise of additional payoff after they finally complete their training.
>>
>>48836215

True that. Warlock does give you devil's sight though, a nice combination with Shadow Monks.

I guess if you go Ranger though and give up an extra Ki Point and Empty Body you could get a ranger companion from Beast Master. Would you have to give up both your attacks to get it to attack? I think the idea of doing martial arts with a bear or something backing you up would be pretty funny.
>>
>>48836164

fuck off
>>
>>48833237
Option 4: jump inside, don a cool spandex suit and have the robot mimic my motions.

G Gundam a best UI.
>>
What should I play next anon?

Plucky young adventurer that just wants to see the world
> Swashbuckler Rogue
Or
> Battlemaster fighter
>mage initiate for find familiar: parrot

Dr. Strange
>Fiend/Tome lock

Freya Crescent / final fantasy dragoon
> Eldritch Knight
Or
> Ancients paladin
> Lance as primary weapon, charging, jumping, etc
>>
As a pathfinder player who's played a few 5e games, I already feel kind of burnt out on all the build options 5e offers. Like, between me, people I've GMed for, or fellow party members, I've already seen the full general range of combat styles and class functions.

I'm going to join a quick level 6 oneshot with "not that much story", can anyone recommend some fun/interesting builds?
>>
>>48836277
I'm not a big fan of the beast master archetype in general, especially not as a dip since your animal buddy only scales with your ranger level.

In general I don't advise people to go beyond 5-7 in monk. Taking a three level dip in ranger and going straight rogue I think is usually gonna be one's best bet, except perhaps for the shadow monk/warlock 2 thing.
>>
>>48836292
Rogues are very fun to play in 5e, though I do prefer playing a ranged rogue to a melee one.
>>
>>48836383

>go beyond 5-7 in monk??

Also it wasn't really an optimization idea, just a fun build idea. The idea of doing martial arts with my animal companion is almost too good to pass up.
>>
Are scrolls of identify a thing?
>>
>>48836421
1 in monk and the rest in beast master would let ya do that I think.
>>
>>48836213
...yes :(

nobody responded to me in the other one!
>>
>>48836471
That fucking show. I haven't met a single other person I know that has seen it. I used to watch it before toonami every day after highschool.
>>
>>48836439
You can have a scroll of any spell.
>>
>>48836468

Sure. I don't know if I'll ever do it though, I only really play in one campaign and that's been going on for over a year now, so I've mostly stuck to two characters. Plus, I have a long list of other characters I want to play first...
>>
>>48836439
There are two types of scrolls: Magic scrolls, and spell scrolls.

The first type have one-off magical effects that anyone can use (as long as they can read). There's only one in the DMG: Scroll of Protection.

Spell scrolls are the ones that have spells built in--like Identify. But, those require that your character has the spell on their class spell list for you to be able to cast it.

There's no reason there can't be magic scrolls that duplicate spell effects, but there's none of them baked into the game. If you're the DM feel free to add those.
If you're not, talk to your DM about if they exist and if they don't try to find an NPC who could help identify items.
>>
>>48836335
If the build is the part you enjoy most, I'd suggest (and not unkindly) to go back to Pathfinder or 4e, since they support that playstyle better in all ways.
5e's closer to 2e where a lot of characters of similar classes tended to look fairly similar mechanically, but you focused a bit more on the character instead.
>>
>>48836593
nah I'm just wondering because I'm watching critical role, I'm on 54, and they never have fucking identify even though its a level 1 spell and they have terrible luck with magic items.
>>
>>48836640
The only one who could learn it is their bard iirc, and it doesn't particularly suit his character. And I get the impression they've usually used NPCs (Gilmour, Allura) in place of it.
>>
>>48836766
Yeah I didn't know how scrolls work. I was just thinking they would use some sort of magic item maybe.
>>
>>48836821
In 5e spending a short rest with an item will usually tell you everything you need to know about it.
>>
What are the options for "tank-tough guy-stand in the way of monsters" role in 5e?

Just Fighter and Paladin? Can Moon Druid manage it with a trick or two?

Or is everyone in 5e tough enough you don't need such a role filled?
>>
>>48836875
They have bad track records with cursed sentient weapons.
>>
>>48836890
Play a fighter, take the heavy armor master feat. If you want overkill take the Defense fighting style too.
>>
>>48836505
breh you need to get out more

seinfeld is the most comfy show ever

i have so many elaine screenshots too :P
>>
>>48836890
Barbearian
>>
>>48833524
>>48833498

This shit seriously sucks.
>>
File: 44259_C5_adamantinegolem.jpg (63KB, 367x480px) Image search: [Google]
44259_C5_adamantinegolem.jpg
63KB, 367x480px
Suggestions for a warforged monk in Eberron?
>>
>>48836890

Fighter, Barbarian, Paladin are probably the core. Take the sentinel feat to keep enemies close to you, or go EK and grab Warcaster and Booming Blade to heavily dissuade enemies from leaving your reach.

Moon Druid is probably fine early on in the game, but you can't really do it level 1 and you'll be outclassed in the later levels.
>>
>>48836940
Not at all!
>>
>>48835311
>>48835272
>>48835182

I still play and prefer 3.5 to 5e. Though I have to say 5e is pretty good and probably better overall, I just like 3.5 more cause of all the build options.
>>
>>48836292
>Dr. Strange
Have you checked out the new UA? It had a Warlock Patron that pretty much gives you your own Sanctum Sanctorum.
>>
>>48836890
Not everyone can hard tank in 5e, but most classes can take a fair beating without worry once your out of the level 1-2 range. With that said, paladin, fighter, barbarian, and moon druid are the best at tanking hits. Moon druid does best at the early levels but it evens out around level 8.
>>
>>48836970

They're a lot less cool once you realize that 50-80% of those build options totally suck.

5e manages to capture a lot of the old build options and extended classes with the archtypes. I do want them to expand the options a little bit, but there's a lot of potential already there.
>>
File: 456x330.jpg (73KB, 456x330px) Image search: [Google]
456x330.jpg
73KB, 456x330px
>>48836917
I'm retarded I thought that was the chick from Yes Dear.
>>
>>48837040
m8 can you pls just tell me what the best feats for a level 1 wizard would be

i have to pick stuff from the phb http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/feats.htm
>>
>>48837184
GO TO A 3.5 THREAD
>>
File: 4579489385676.jpg (17KB, 325x217px) Image search: [Google]
4579489385676.jpg
17KB, 325x217px
>playing a warlock of Orcus
>we get lost in a maze
>commune with Orcus
>he answers
>ask him for directions on how to get out of the maze
>''I give you great power and you ask me for directions?! You are my servant, I am not yours''
>starts calling me names
>scared to lose my powers, I apologize
>he demands that I make up for it by sacrificing 20 souls
>I end the commune
>start crying

Why are demons so mean?
>>
>>48837184
Or a general thread. Just not in a thread devoted to a different system.
>>
>>48837184

Just tell your DM to play 5e and then come back and ask us

or find a 3.5 Wizard guide. I bet treantmonk's guide is still out there
>>
>>48837184
Skill Focus: Underwater Basket Weaving
>>
>>48837213
Better get to work...
>>
>>48836918
>>48836946
>>48836994

Thanks guys. I forgot about the Bear Barbarian, could even use a shield if you wanted I guess.

I was hoping there was a trick to get the Moon Druid a bit better, as while the bonus health is handy, I would imagine the lower AC is a problem. I don't know if there are "bracers of AC" or anything like that they can use.
>>
>>48836970
>>48837025
I'm largely familiar with 3.5, 5, and 4 in that order, but I strongly prefer 5e.

Archetypes are a better format for granting class options, and 5e actively encourages you to homebrew whatever you might otherwise be missing. Considering all the time I spend in Homebrew/Game Design threads, this is a huge draw personally.
>>
>>48837213
>>48837235
>"Why are demons so mean," the warlock asks to nobody in particular, while drawing the whetstone across the sinister dagger's blade.
>>
>>48836990
Will definitely keep that in mind
>>
>>48837213
Your DM did that pretty well.
Serves you right for contracting with a demon.
>>
>>48837256

Well, your AC is always going to be at least 16 eventually. If you dip a level into Monk you can get your wisdom bonus to AC too.
>>
>>48837313
>Well, your AC is always going to be at least 16 eventually.
I'm a newb, how is that?
>>
>>48837280
Let's be honest, Archfey would probably have wanted him to kidnap a child to throw into the Feywild, and a GOO would've asked for something like lathering himself in mayo and streaking through the next town naked in midday.
>>
>>48837423
>a GOO would've asked for something like lathering himself in mayo and streaking through the next town naked in midday.
Taking notes for what to do with the warlock in my CoS game.
>>
>>48837199
THERE IS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!
>>
>>48837342

Barkskin.
>>
>>48836917
Seinfeld is a fucking sitcom. You going to speak of the values of BBT next? It's not funny, it just manipulates folks via laughtrack.
>>
File: 3577.gif (3MB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
3577.gif
3MB, 300x200px
>>48836164
This post is good and you should feel good.
>>
>>48837487
>not liking Seinfeld
Yikes. I suppose it's too low brow for intellectuals such as yourself.
>>
>>48837487
>she thinks seinfeld uses a laugh track

breh... seinfeld is GOAT comfy
>>
>>48837634
Sorry, I'll try harder to appreciate your BBT style trash.
>>48837649
Look it up. Seinfeld had audiance members told when to laugh for segments in the apartment ,but used a laugh track everywhere else.
>>
>>48837025
>They're a lot less cool once you realize that 50-80% of those build options totally suck.

A bit. To some degree I do enjoy building "against type" and minmaxing to make it somewhat viable. Almost like trying to minmax a Timmy deck in Magic.

> 5e manages to capture a lot of the old build options and extended classes with the archtypes.

Oh please. If you're talking about core-only, maybe. But with all the splats, no fucking way. I can't build a mystic theurge in 5e right now. I can't build half the two-weapon-fighting-shield-bash retarded shit I made in 3.5.

>>48837184

Take Sudden Silent and set yourself up for Sudden Maximize at 3rd level

Learn color spray

You're all set.
>>
>>48837275
>5e actively encourages you to homebrew whatever you might otherwise be missing.

That's fine, but new official options and content do not detract from this. The only thing that held back 3.5 homebrew was the complexity of the rules, not the number of options.
>>
>>48837213
I like your DM.
>>
>>48836990
Are there any spells a warlock could cast to actually take advantage of that though?
>>
>>48837699
>I can't build a mystic theurge in 5e right now
Wizard/cleric multiclass.
>>
>>48837699
>I can't build half the two-weapon-fighting-shield-bash retarded shit I made in 3.5.

I believe he meant "old" as in "pre-3e".
Could he wrong though.
>>
Do you recommend the original Ravenloft converted to 5e or the Curse of Strahd instead? if the former... which modules do you recommend to take the players to the required level?
>>
>>48837984
Just run Curse of Strahd.
>>
>>48837699
>I can't build a mystic theurge in 5e right now
You can't in 3e either.
(Also, since spellcasting is cumulative between classes in 5e, you'll be way better off with it than you would be in 3e, tho you're better off skewing to one or the other.)
>>
>>48833247
This reminds me of LoZ Twilight Princess
>>
>>48838238
>Moon Druid 2/Chainlock 3 with an imp familiar
>>
If WoTC will provide us pre-generated characters why won't they give us a generator to make said characters? Those single sheets are so clean I fucking love it.
>>
>>48838499
wut u gabbin about m8?
>>
What are the most useful languages?

Common, elvish, dwarvish, draconic, druidic...?
>>
File: 1469791732851.jpg (544KB, 1200x931px) Image search: [Google]
1469791732851.jpg
544KB, 1200x931px
>>48838499
>wanting to play pregenerated characters
>ever
For all you know, you could end up with pic related as your character. Do you really want that?
>>
>>48838543
depends on the setting ;^)
>>
>>48838543
>druidic
But why?
Common, elvish, dwarvish, draconic, and uncercommon if we're going to go by population count in Faerun.
>>
>>48838561
It would be a great way to get NPCs on the fly
I do want that
>>
>>48836994
>Moon druid does best at the early levels but it evens out around level 8.
Why's that? From lack of new forms or the shit AC of animals?

I thought they could become elemental's or something which have a shit load of HP eventually.
>>
>>48838709
Elemental's are good, but take both of your wildshape charges.
Level 20 a moon druid is definitively best damage soaker in the game, but before then barbarians I think are the better of the two for that role.
>>
>>48838628
Thats exactly what I want it for.
The pre-gen sheets are simple, clean and provide all the information you need. Perfect for a quick NPC.

Yes, I know I can go into word and copy the formatting, style, etc. to make the sheet but that defeats the purpose of the idea. I want to be able to make quick clean one sheet characters in that format.

Why Wizards....why won't you give it to us?
>>
>>48838543
Sometimes knowing monster languages such as goblin can help in combat, where other languages wouldn't. However, expect less goblins unless you get Tucker's Goblins or something or swarms of hobgoblins later on. The powercreep isn't as real in 5e.

Honestly, pick languages that you think you'll want your character to speak and would be useful for the character. Languages are about as useful as tool proficiencies. They're one of the things that's more intended for flavour.

There are cases where you might want your character to speak a language because they've had relations with, say, dwarfs in the past, maybe.
>>
>>48838499
They're just Word docs. That's all they are. You could set one up in like 15 minutes.
>>
>>48837452
Start a d&d 3.5 general: Seinfeld edition
>>
>>48838762
>but take both of your wildshape charges
I must have missed that bit when I read about it. Hopefully I'll still be able to tank slightly, my party tends to need the help in that area.
>>
>>48838830

See>>48838764
>>
>>48838910
Moon druids can tank just fine.
Don't sweat it senpai.
>>
>>48837555
Samefag, good luck ever getting it by a DM ;)

It is RAW, but blatantly against the RAI (it is only by a peculiarity of the Sharpshooter rules that it is applicable for this purpose as I doubt the creators considered that someone would just go Hulk with the weapon itself...). I don't even think it is actually powerful, just kinda ridiculous. -10 is kind of a huge penalty to hit...
>>
>>48839085
Also, the Archery Fighting style applies to attacks with ranged weapons, not ranged weapon attacks, so you can get a + 2 to that to hit...
>>
Our DM has apparently been using the SRD the whole campaign, resulting in several rule inconsistencies. He even helped someone build their character using the SRD, which has a lot of erroneous info.

Our Campaign is fucked.
>>
Are Blade Pact Warlocks shit? I wound up making one but I had a really hard time justifying smacking something with my weapon as opposed to just slapping it with a Fireball.
>>
>>48839875
I was gonna say "but SRD5.1's rules are literally the PHB rules after errata" but... do you mean like, the d20 SRD? Because I had a newbie DM who fucked the 5e PHB and the stuff on d20srd.org together and good lord, that was a bad experience.

>7th-level rogue
>has 24 dex
>doesn't know what sneak attack is
>>
>>48839899
It would have to be the d20 SRD. We didn't notice at first because we just assumed the DM had it under control, but one of our players delved deeper and noticed a lot of fucked shit.
>>
>>48839899
>>48839916
Infact, some of our newer players were for some reason being lazy and google searching shit. When we looked their character sheet over we noticed a bunch of stuff from Pathfinder shoved in there.
>>
File: 3333333333333333.png (43KB, 344x517px) Image search: [Google]
3333333333333333.png
43KB, 344x517px
What character should a first time player be? I'm thinking fighter but it seems so white bread that it's almost infuriating.
>>
>>48839916
Why does the D20 SRD have to be some of the first fucking results for a lot of 5e shit?

For instance, it's impossible to even find 5e entries for any of the monsters. Even when typing in 5e specifically, it throws fucking other editions at you.

REEEEEE
>>
>>48839980
What partymembers do you have so far?
>>
>>48839980
Play whatever you want first time around. If you play the "easy" class, you might not like what you make.
>>
>>48839986
It's almost like 3rd edition's core rules were available for free under an open gaming license and 5th edition wasn't.
>>
>>48840000
I'm actually the first time player, haven't found a group yet. Nice quads tho

>>48840002
I suppose so, might do a paladin because I'm thinking heavy guns for my first character and then maybe a ranger second.
>>
>>48833247
>>48838238
>>48838351
Holy shit, this is hilarious.
After level 5, would it be better to keep taking levels in Druid, or Warlock? Probably druid, right?
>>
>>48840047
Instead of choosing a class and going from there, come up with a character concept first and choose the class that best fits.

Alternatively just go with Paladin and smite all of the things, it's a lot of fun.
>>
File: 1462322632633.jpg (243KB, 550x734px) Image search: [Google]
1462322632633.jpg
243KB, 550x734px
>>48840086
That seems like a much better idea, thanks anon
>>
File: Just like dad.gif (400KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
Just like dad.gif
400KB, 500x364px
>>48840047
I highly recommend a rogue. Expertise is bitchin. Reliable talent is BITCHIN. Sneak attacks: bitchin.
>>
>>48840047
Paladins are a lot of fun. If you don't want to be the party mom, check out the oath of the ancients.

At least, I think it's cool.
>>
>>48836164
That's such an insane idea and requires so much effort that I would probably just allow that should someone ever try it at my table.
>>
>>48839986
Because your search term's getting short-circuited with other editions.

3.5e

Hopefully I did these spoiler tags right to illustrate the point.
>>
File: 1435538356501.jpg (113KB, 700x634px) Image search: [Google]
1435538356501.jpg
113KB, 700x634px
A druid's gear can meld into their character when they wild shape. Would you allow them to wear something while in wildshape, such as barding, and have it meld back into their normal form, and reappear when wildshaped?
>>
>verging on forever DM
>playgroup member realizes this
>offers to DM for once
>advise
>because of my reputation of TPKs he mentions he's gonna fudge dice so nobody dies in the first five sessions
>tell him that's a slippery slope and that I know where he's coming from because it -is- tempting but every time you let yourself do it it gets easier to fudge more and more often; thus causing a lot less risk in everything as it's all according to the DM's plans
>my character no longer will have rolls fudged as a response
>everyone else will probably have fudging for the first five sessions
>don't want to tell other people because that could end up making the magic of the game fade
>know that after the first five sessions are done there's a chance the fudging continues but if confronted he'll deny it so either he hides it from me or I falsely accuse him and convey I don't trust him to be a good DM

Is there a way to continue to mentor happily without this situation looming over me?
>>
>>48840293

Ignore the fudging

If the players care they'll become DMs themselves.
>>
>>48840285
I would, but I might require it be magic.
Moon druids are already very very good.
>>
>>48840293
hes doing the ol' double bluff. lying to you telling you he wont fudge so your game feels more intense, when hes actually fudging everything all the time.
>>
>>48836970
the thing is 3.5 is so codified in what is possible for your char versus what isnt... it doesnt "open up" the same way 5e does once you get the system down.
i think 5e is inherently flawed but its what i currently play, and its better imo than 3.5, which is the last edition of dnd i played,and a horrible mess as far as i can tell.
>>
>>48837634
nah m8 its not even funny
>>
>>48840390
What's your complaint about 5e?
I actually struggle to come up with legitimate grievances against the system itself.
>>
>>48840311
Moon druids are OP in the low-medium levels. After that, they're only good at soaking up ludicrous amounts of damage.
>>
>>48840432
Fire elementals do really really good damage senpai, especially when you put up a high-level moonbeam or some other concentration spell before you shift.
>>
>>48840425
First time DM here. I really like 5e because of it's simplicity - it's easy enough for players completely new to tabletop roleplay to understand and the combat is simple enough as well for them to crave killing stuff. I started DnD on 3.5 and while I did like some more flavorful quirks from it, our first session had 9 players on the table, far more than I had even played with 3.5
>>
>>48836164
We need to go deeper.

Okay, so we have a BIG negative to hit. What do we do?

Go champion.
Crits on 18-20.

Get advantage. I don't know how. Have a wolf barbarian. 2 levels in barbarian yourself. Be on a fucking horse.

Smack bitches with your crossbow.

You could have a strength of 1 now and still hit people because of how often you're critting.

The biggest issue here is that you're not getting a lot out of critting, because you only have a 1d4 die.

Still, you could have a 1 strength guy going around whacking people with a crossbow for MASSIVE DAMAGE.
>>
>>48840311
I just recalled that Druids can't wear metal anyways, so it'd have to be fiat to be anything other than hide barding.
>>
>>48840520
Leather/hide bardings have been the most common animal bardings throughout history.
>>
>>48840451
Really? It's 1d10 for moving through space, 2d6+3 for melee and another 1d10 if they are on fire right? So just 21 damage on average.
>>
>>48840285
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/19/can-we-make-barding-for-a-wild-shaped-druid/
>>
>>48840540
You can pass through multiple units and light them all on fire. In order to stop taking 1d10 damage every single turn, they must use their entire action to douse themselves. They also have multiattack, so they get two attacks, not one.
>>
>>48840579
Wouldn't Air Elemental be a better form if you fight against multiple units?
>>
>>48840532
It doesn't boost druids over their natural armor for most forms, though.
>>48840570
While the melding ruling is fair, do any animals have armor proficiency...? NPC statblocks don't even include that, do they?
>>
>>48840451
With perfect accuracy and against multiple targets, a fire elemental can hope for ~30 damage per round. At about the same time elemental wild shape is gained, fighters can make 3 attacks per round, for a potential 40-50 damage - and fighters are much more accurate than fire elementals.

No, without significant buffs moon druid damage does not scale well.
>>
>>48840598
You can hit a max of four creatures with whirlwind, and they all literally have to occupy a 10-by-10 cube for you to hit them.

A fire elemental can move through 24 squares on a normal move, 48 squares on a dash, potentially igniting up to that many creatures.
>>
>>48840624
Moon druids are also full casters, and can cast spells like moonbeam, that deal an extra 5d10 every round at level 10 that fighters don't get.
>>
File: 1471228910419.jpg (566KB, 1420x1131px) Image search: [Google]
1471228910419.jpg
566KB, 1420x1131px
>>48840425
>48840390 (You)
>What's your complaint about 5e?
ok first, don't get me wrong, i like 5e a lot. i play it currently and i'm having a good time. my problems with 5e:
>martials vs casters
you're going to think this is bait, but hold on. 5e solved a lot of martial vs caster divides... IN COMBAT! out of combat it didn't really bother. instead casters are almost stronger than ever out of combat, being able to prepare anything, cast with lots of different slots, and on top of that being able to ritual cast a lot of spells (and recover a lot of slots in an hour in many cases!).
instead of making skill tricks a core component (and we were teased with this in the playtest, at points) martials kind of get... nothing. 5e is oriented VERY HEAVILY towards combat, instead of towards "the three pillars".
which i guess is point 2.
>the three pillars
we got told what they are, but most classes either situationally approach them (ranger) but then suffer in the way every other class is built (combat) or get spell slots and spells known (any caster) which can deal with both, instead of just one. YES fireball has no out of combat use except being a very expensive (and big) way to light powder kegs, but wizards can use that same slot to cast anything else. i'm not a martials vs caster fag, btw, i'm just trying to say... instead of making martials good at lots of stuff, they made them really good in combat. most of the abilities martials will get (and casters too!) have to do with in combat use. i think personally the game suffers from the lack of out of combat things you get when leveling up. thats a big one for me.
>>
File: martyrlogarius.png (2MB, 905x1280px) Image search: [Google]
martyrlogarius.png
2MB, 905x1280px
>>48840656
cont
>combat oriented
this is the same thing as point 2, but i want to address another subject for a minute. hp bloat is still a thing. the game is deadly pre level 3 or what have you, but eventually you get a lot of easy healing, such as hit dice. and to top it off, most of your abilities are spaced between encounters instead of being just... what you can do. what the fuck is action surge? second wind? why can you only do those in an arbitrary undefined time between rests? why is a bard so limited in inspiring people? a few times per short rest, assuming you even take one? assuming you hit the level where that ability recharges per short rest even? i would even be fine if abilities came with out of combat uses, but most out of combat uses are reserved for spells, WHICH IS FINE if thats what you want, but it just... subtly reinforces casters as top dogs.
don't get me wrong, the game i play a character in, my thief and my friends champion have probably done a lot better than the druid and wizard in our party at solving problems. BUT the problem is that our abilities don't allow us to really do anything out of combat. fast hands has no defined use outside of limited action space. action surge doesn't let my buddy do anything twice as fast in social or exploration events. you coudl tack on out of combat uses to every ability, some dms might let you play it that way without defining what that even is, but they COULD HAVE written the book such that those abilities actually had some usage in the other two pillars of the game, instead of 90% of the class abilities being useful in only one of them.
>>
>>48840666
cont.
rogues, yes, get a lot of skill abilities, but then the skill system is so open ended (and weak! imo! weak!) that it takes an open minded dm to take advantage of it. my dm is not that in the game i play. i will be when i host my next game but i'm just saying all this so as to illustrate that the game is not designed for inhabiting that space. it is designed towards one pillar of the game.
>smaller stuff
action economy has its problems, its gamist, but its okay, but it stifles a lot of playstyles. try making a dual wielding EK. finesse i hate. it forces you to eke out space to be good at something (being buff) instead of just having in game ways to excel at it. some stats get nothing, why even ever have int?
>really personal shit that isn't 5e but me
d20 is probably inherently flawed, especially with "bounded accuracy". makes everything game-y and swingy instead of your proficiencies really making you succeed at things pre level 11 or whatever.
idk i'm drunk. but thats my problems with the system.
i'll still keep playing it, i like it, i have a good group.
but thats my answer to your question.
>>
>>48832985
>sorclock who crits like a champ

Yeh nah cunt
>>
>>48840656
>you're going to think this is bait
You are correct!
World bending abilities are always going to be better than mundane things out of combat. If I use an illusion to make myself look exactly like someone, I am almost always going to be better at passing myself off as that person than someone who simply puts on a disguise.

If I am a super-duper-expert climber, the wizard who can cast fly makes that irrelevant.
These are not things you're ever going to escape from.

I think roleplaying is your out-of-combat (and in combat too) outlet. You don't need super special rulesets for out of combat things, because the way they're resolved and dealt with is through fluff and roleplay, which aren't bounded by mechanics in the first place.
>>
>>48839878
Shit? No
Less useful and need more things to be near as viable as other locks? Yes
>>
>>48840699
>>48840699
ugh well you just fucking suck then.
>>
Does anyone have some high-res printouts of curse of strahd? Kinda want to buy this for the game I'm running. http://mikeschley.zenfolio.com/p678546160/h61fadc4d#h603e2569
But don't want to pay that much.
>>
File: Lightning.jpg (470KB, 747x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Lightning.jpg
470KB, 747x1000px
>>48840708
sorry, what i meant is...
>>48840699
>I think roleplaying is your out-of-combat (and in combat too) outlet. You don't need super special rulesets for out of combat things, because the way they're resolved and dealt with is through fluff and roleplay, which aren't bounded by mechanics in the first place.
YOU'RE RIGHT, but why not play something more stripped down, or just do freeform rpg at this point?
why cant a game support the three pillars it purports to be based off of?
don't get me wrong, i'm not attacking 5e, i like 5e. i'm just saying, thats my problems with it. its better than previous editions in a lot of ways, but d&ds problem, imo, outside of memes, is that it leaves so much up to chance. that you'll get a good dm, that you'll get a good party.
>>
Another PC has become mai waifu. What do.
>>
>>48840756
>YOU'RE RIGHT, but why not play something more stripped down, or just do freeform rpg at this point?
Because I very much like the combat rules for 5e.
Roleplay is always freeform, but I like tactical combat, and 5e has stunning mechanics for that.
>>
>>48832985

Warlock is already the caster version of a fighter, literally.
>>
>>48840762
Also, I'm her husbando. How should I roleplay this.
>>
>>48840763
thats the thing tho... why wouldnt it have at least a framework for doing the other pillars? you could of had any number of ways of doing it. but theres just nothing.
its like they made a (really, pretty damn good and solidly mathed out) combat sim, and then were like, "oh yeah, we need skills. oh and i guess exploration? or something? lol people interact in this game i guess".
>>
>>48840285
Raw no. It only mentions their humanoid form gear melding, or if it was something the new form could theoretically wear, it can choose to keep it on (Theoretically an ape could use helmets and shields, shit like that)
I would easily be allowable, with some form of shapeshifting armor, but what youre proposing would require a new set of armor for most forms if it didnt change shape as well. A mammoth clearly cant wear horse armor, even if its relatively the same shape

That and their natural armor, which many forms have, doesnt stack.

I would allow them to use it if they really wanted to, but its likely more work than reward
>>
Wish can cast ANY 8th level or lower spell? Including non wizard?
>>
>>48840816
it does what it says on the tin. nothing more, nothing less.
>>
I can understand anon's complaint about there being a martial vs. caster split in out of combat stuff,but some of that is on both the DM and the players. Just because a Wizard can go Stone Shape and cut a hole in a wall for the party to sneak into the BBEG's castle with, doesn't mean the fighter can't also use his physical prowess to hold open a metal portcullis or pry open some metal bars. And casters trade versatility for loss of large damage spells or their save or suck stuff.

HP bloat doesn't seem to be an issue with monsters. If anything, at high levels monsters might need to do more raw damage and less save or be KOed or save or die stuff.

Probably my biggest issue is that bounded accuracy starts to break down past level 11 or so, because in a no magic item setting monsters start to basically auto-hit every attack, and PCs have like a 60% chance to hit without disadvantage or advantage. Throw in magic items and PCs start to hit on like 6s and 7s on a d20, just like the monsters.
>>
>>48840744
Reposting to hope someone will see this and have some :)
>>
File: 1470197128362.png (358KB, 875x775px) Image search: [Google]
1470197128362.png
358KB, 875x775px
>>48840852
>doesn't mean the fighter can't also use his physical prowess to hold open a metal portcullis or pry open some metal bars

By this logic, the 20 Intelligence wizard can formulate god-tier master plans.
>>
>>48840086
>>48840116
Taking your advice here, anyone got any good paladin names? It seems like dnd had a naming convention I don't yet really grasp, I'll post my character sheet once it's done.
>>
>>48840852
i just think they tried, succeeded part way, but failed in a lot of things, i don't think that means the game is bad, but its mostly a combat sim with the possibility for so much more...
>>
>>48840874
>naming convention

Dude, Smasho The Hymen Crusher is a perfectly legitimate name for a paladin.
>>
>>48832950
I hope it doesn't suck
>>
>>48835064
Being a PC is shit
>>
>>48840790

I agree, fuck magic > not-magic guy

Non-magic classes should get fun out-of-combat tools to play around with.

A while back a dude was talking about the idea that magic is a tool of the player to command agency in the situation, while skills are more interpretive (and therefore weaker)
>>
>>48840874
What's your paladin's race? There are suggested names in the PHB that you can riff on to find one you like.
>>
>>48840868
The mental stats are always harder to roleplay out because just because your PC is basically Wizard Einstein doesn't mean you as the player are that smart.

Personally, I handle "high mental stat" PCs as letting them get away with a bit more metagaming via ideas from the other players during the game (INT people formulate their action faster, WIS people go on gut instinct, CHA people try to impose their desire on reality).
>>
>>48840928
I was thinking human, first time playing so I guess I should model my character after myself to make it easier.
>>
File: 442.jpg (227KB, 680x1020px) Image search: [Google]
442.jpg
227KB, 680x1020px
>>48840915
Is it, anon?
On one hand, if you're an experienced DM, you've got to put up with whatever the current one does. Forgoing common rules or taking too much time to check obscure ones, making encounters over or under tuned, different styles of NPC and handling players at the table...
But it sounds relaxing. I enjoy spending time on my hobbies, but DMing draws on the tap pretty hard. Spending half of the week trying to work out what'll happen this session, preparing for logical events, going back and tweaking NPCs and scenes...With the expectation that if I don't bring fun to the table, all of my friends will waste their time.
It's fun at times, and it feels good to facilitate fun, but like any performance it's stressful. Being able to get away, just know a character well enough to move and react as they do, instead of writing a shallow approximation to the entire world...
I wish I could do both, but nobody in the group is willing to shoulder their own game, even swapping each other week
>>
>>48840876
And maybe down the road smarter people than I will solve these issues and add these rules in a homebrew, or even get it published in a supplemental book by WotC.

Likely? No. But it's still possible. 5e's foundation is solid, it's the frame and walls that need more work.
>>
File: tmimn[1].gif (497KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
tmimn[1].gif
497KB, 300x300px
>>48840972
>I was thinking human, first time playing so I guess.
It's not roleplaying if you're playing yourself, anon.

What's your character's background? What's his motivation for adventuring? And which Oath are you taking (and why)? These will help inform you of how to play the character.

Don't be afraid to borrow heavily from other sources as long as you make it your own. Here's a great quote from Jim Jarmusch:

>Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is nonexistent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery – celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take things from – it’s where you take them to.”
>>
File: tumblr_o8ief8525B1v6gxefo1_500.gif (473KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o8ief8525B1v6gxefo1_500.gif
473KB, 500x377px
Could a Human Illuskan be named William or is that name out of the picture?
>>
>>48834106
If your base stat equals or beats the DC of the door it should autopass the check.
>>
>>48840790
It doesn't need explicit rules for other things. It's like, there is nothing about bluffing in the rules for poker, but that doesn't mean bluffing isn't an important and interesting part of the game.
>>
>>48834877
DMG guide says 250 days and 1gp per day.

I for one don't play a lot of games where people can just sit about for nearly a year. I just give players an extra skill proficiency they could learn or expertise in one already learned skill at every 4th level.
>>
>>48840984
>5e's foundation is solid,
i just... think the class designs are flawed, for reasons i previously stated. thats irreparable imo. but 5.5 could fix it. i'll play 5e till then tho.
>>48841024
im just saying, that orientation (towards combat) is one of my problems. i don't come here to shit on 5e, but someone asked. i make a lot of the generals.

anyway im going to sleep. 5e is still good.
>>
File: 1438715618028.jpg (153KB, 1339x361px) Image search: [Google]
1438715618028.jpg
153KB, 1339x361px
>>48841017
>A game about magical elves shooting fireballs at the dragons their tiefling friend is whacking with a huge maul
Given the stupid and weird things real people name their kids, I imagine everyone can suspend their disbelief for that.
>>
>>48840868
Making a plan is not just raw intellect. Though it certainly helps. You need specific knowledge related to the area in question down to forces present and other variables. Where a learned wizard might come up with a master plan to slay the warlord leading an army by having a vicious beast polymorphed into a keg filled with the favorite alcoholic beverage of the warlord and when his entourage gets drunk off his tribute the keg turns into any manner off horror and proceeds to messily kill the inebriated drunk and likely his closest generals.

Someone with knowledge of the situation might just bribe someone close to the warlord to help plot a coup that puts someone in power who is willing to negotiate.
>>
>>48841014
>Hopped on my laptop to write this
>Also didn't mean to imply that i was RPing myself, just making him look slightly similar

OK. My thoughts on his backstory was that he was a Human Illuskan named William. He looked and was average apart from the fact he was born in a semi wealthy family of merchants. On the way to another city that the family had heard was currently booming and could easily be profitable, the caravan was attacked by bandits who had heard of their departure. Long story short it was mutually assured destruction and the baby William would have died if not for a group of paladins on a holy voyage stumbling upon the carnage. He was taken under their tutelage and followed the path of justice, taking the oath of devotion for their caring over their years alone. He can't take the oath of vengeance because the thieves that murdered his parents had died along side them. Is that good enough?
>>
>>48836640

That's because Critical Role is the TTRPG equivalent of professional wrestling. No rule, inconvenient die roll, lore, and convention of etiquette will get in the way of the story they wan to tell, not while they're sitting on a big pile of unlimited takes.
>>
>>48840978

Too right. Honestly it pisses me off how much work I put into my games when my players can barely be bothered to make character sheets and learning the bare basic rules is too much for them. I think the best game would be one without any players...
>>
>>48841018
>level 1 rogue can beat super difficult locks without rolling
Yeah nah
Early levels are for apprentices and newcomers. You shouldn't be perfect at your role yet.
>>
Is it me being a noob or the Theurgy tradition for the Wizard of the last UA is really OP?
>>
>>48841106
Critical Role is poison to the game. Makes people think RPG games are about professional beautiful people acting out a script together. Not like those smelly loser nerds who read all those books and learn all those rules right ?
>>
Is there a way to keep a piece of clothing on me while I switch between wildshape?

I want to keep a red bandana tie to my neck in all form.
>>
>>48841101
Not bad for a first attempt. Your parents being killed is kind of a cliche but you don't seem the type to make it grimdark. I think it could be interesting to be tempted by vengeance against the types of people who killed your parents (think Batman) but ultimately you'd choose the higher ground. Also, while I did ask for your background, keep in mind that you're not beholden to it. Your character can grow and change in response to events that happen. The past is prologue.

Anyway I've got a 5 hour session planned for tomorrow so I need to go pass out. Good luck anon, and remember: have fun!
>>
Is water shape cantrip fun? I heard people use it to splash water on stuff and flash freeze it to destroy lock/door/granite
>>
>>48841136
Fresh blood into the hobby is what keeps it alive.
>>
Any tips for a relatively new GM who is going to be running Curse of Strahd next week? Any resources you found helpful? Stories?
>>
>>48841129

If a level 1 Rogue has the 20 Dex required to pass a hard lock good for them. It's more likely they have 15-17 which lets them open moderate locks.

If you don't like using the base stat you can at least take 10 if nobody is under any pressure which again lets a rogue with prof and thieves tools open a dc 15 moderate lock. Having every player roll to break open a door when nothing else is happening is a pure waste of time, drags everybody into metagame land and creates situation where the guy trained to do this thing is beaten by the gods of chance.

As an aside a level 1 adventurer is stronger, especially within their specialties, than the vast majority of people in the world so they're not as weak as it seems.
>>
>>48841141

That seems stupid, but talk to your DM.
>>
File: 1470780162264.jpg (9KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1470780162264.jpg
9KB, 240x240px
>>48841150
>I think it could be interesting to be tempted by vengeance against the types of people who killed your parents (think Batman) but ultimately you'd choose the higher ground.

Totally changing it so that the orchestrator escaped, thanks for the idea anon
>>
>>48841165
When the fresh blood starts to get visibly angry and upset because they actually have to learn rules and put effort in and can't just play beautiful people make believe then they're not that useful to the hobby.
>>
>>48841141
Doesnt it mention that you can keep any gear on that would fit the form? Just tie it loose enough
>>
>>48841194
>visibly angry and upset because they actually have to learn rules
I don't think this has ever happened.
>>
File: 1459948407146.jpg (296KB, 1158x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1459948407146.jpg
296KB, 1158x1500px
Going to be starting in a campaign soon at 5th level

character is going to be an Eldritch Knight fighter.

Debating between either A). super tank low int only utility/defensive spells or B). EKnight - Wiz multiclass with high int that uses the SCAG cantrips and more offensive spells.

What do yall think would be better or more fun? also I get an uncommon magic item and two feats, what should all that be?
>>
>>48832991
Wait, there's a fire giant robot? Has this been confirmed? I would buy the fuck out of this if true.
>>
>>48841197
Literally happened in my session zero a couple of weeks ago with a new player who just refused to create a character in the end because the rules were too complicated. She'd been poisoned by shit like critical role which makes rpgs look like casually hanging out with your beautiful friends and maybe rolling a dice sometomes.
>>
>>48833020
monster hunter fighter. you have to use your brain in preperations, traps, ambushes, machines to hunt the larger beasts. so more use your hands in the world then statbuild. but will definitly require inventiveness, bartering, and getting craftsmen to GIT GUD.
>>
>>48841202
If you get an uncommon item then choose headband of intellect and be super tanky high int
>>
Ya know, I think a lvl 10 devotion Paladin and a lvl 10 Monster Hunter fighter could thrash Strahd pretty easily
>>
>>48841183
Also a good rule for backgrounds: hive your GM something to work with. If you don't have any friends, family, enemies, etc it's hard to write stories that emotionally involve your character, which can lead to great role playing moments. Keeping your parents murderer alive is a great option.

Don't forget too, you've got a group of paladins who raised you now. How do you get along with them? What God do they worship? Are they the charity giving kind, helping the downtrodden, or the demon hunting kind? You probably also were a squire until very recently, who was your leige?

Not all of this is necessary, more just food for thought.
>>
>>48841293
What should my background be? Is it noble due to me being a part of the paladins or soldier because I was just until recently a squire?
>>
>>48841293
As an aside to GM's when a player does create an actual backstory with nreathing family members don't then go and have their family kidnapped and murdered for them. It's a cheap way to create a hook that wastes a lot of better opportunities.

For example one of my characters is a noble who left his duty to go off adventuring. He's found himself struggling to live the lifestyle he's used to , hence when he finds himself back in his home city he wants to go begging daddy for money. Unbeknowst to him his father needs his aid in repairing fractions in the noble houses in order to create a decent opposition to the current tyrant , but things are tense between the father and son the father only half trusting the son to be able to finish the job and the son not wanting to get dragged back in to the life he ran from but wanting the comforts it afforded.

Isn't that a lot more interesting than just having somebody put a knife in his back?

This also applies to player bought businesses, taverns, houses, keeps etc. Burning them down only creates the very murderhobos DM's love to complain about.
>>
>>48841351
Nevermind, I just saw the knight background.
>>
>>48841351
>>48841401
Paladin aren't noble.
>>
>>48841523
What are they then?
>>
>>48841202
High INT, no multiclass but pick up Magic Initiate feat.

Or you could just go spellsong Wizard?
>>
>>48841525
From your description, your character fit with Knight of the order background from SCAG the most.
>>
>>48841548
I didn't think of checking it, thanks mate.
>>
>>48834784
You don't need big numbers to be good at your job, anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 500x453px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 500x453px
>>48840315
I legit do this. I'll roll behind a screen and just act like it mattered as I describe the results.
>>
File: 1245526623423.jpg (324KB, 1000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
1245526623423.jpg
324KB, 1000x1414px
I'm making a 5e Wizard, aiming for an arcane detective of sorts. We're at level 3 so far so I got Human Variant, dropping those higher array numbers in INT and WIS, doubling up with the Observant feat, and of course proficient in Investigation and Perception, giving me a Passive Perception of 19 and Passive Investigation of 20.

Now I think that's pretty fitting and I'm really torn on what specialty to choose because I am a sucker for the idea of running around with undead minions but that's just me...

My question to ask for advice for /5eg/ is how should I flavor this, is there a role for detectives in 5e Faerun? Must-have spells, etc?
>>
>>48841763
divination would make the most sense

your usefulness as a "detective" depends entirely on your campaign
>>
>>48841768
Yeah, I don't know that being a "detective" of sorts would come in handy in Out of the Abyss...but he could just have gotten caught up in the craziness there while chasing some other lead.

I do think Divination makes a ton of sense.

I thought this thread would be dead so I was planning on posting this before bed so I can check on it in the morning. Thanks for the quick reply anon. To any who reply afterward, thanks, I will most definitely respond when I wake up again!
>>
>>48841599
You don't need to move the goalpost to shitpost, anon.
>>
More question about Moon Druid.

Will my initiative change when I transform?

Like if I'm already a Dire Wolf before combat happen, do I use my own initiative mod or Dire Wolf mod?

I'm assuming that once the combat start, initiative order won't change, no matter what I'm transforming into, is that right?
>>
So a fighter's Extra Attack, if he's dual wielding, can he attack with both again?
>>
>>48841821
no

you get two attacks with your mainhand, and can use your bonus action afterwards to make an attack with your offhand
>>
>>48841814
You use Dire wolf's dex, therefore you use Dire wolf's initiative if you're in a Dire wolf form the moment you roll initiative.
>>
>>48841827
>afterwards
Are you sure?
>>
>>48841827
Ah, alright. Just needed to double check, have an NPC that is dual wielding short swords.
>>
>>48841814
It wobt change unless your dm wants to play it that way. Youll end up using whatever init bonus you have in the form combat starts, and keep ot regardless of form in later rounds
>>
>>48841837
Thanks. I guess I could safely dump DEX down too.
>>
>>48841846
NPC usually use different rule from PC.
>>
>>48841941
Well technically he's a player character, but the player himself quit the campaign. He's returning during the final battle to lend aid, so I figured I should play him like a player character.
>>
Troves don't work for me. they just hang on the loading mega circle.
>>
>>48833008

Depends on what you want. Chessex are the all around most popular. GameScience are good quality and made in the USA. Generally, buy Translucent dice since they are made of better quality materials. You can also see if they have imperfections like air bubbles. If you care about randomness the best affordable option is to use GameScience dice and a dice tower.
>>
>>48841821
>>48841827
I like the idea of Two weapon fighting not using the bonus action, just granting a single extra attack with the other stipulations attached.
>>
>>48842482
Please do not do this
There are classes that would get so much stronger if they were allowed that single extra attack instead of bonus action.
Monks would for example 5 attacks with flurry of blows (which including Open Palm monks, includes a fifth stacked Quivering Palm on the same target.)
Or a Frenzied berserker would do four of their bigass attacks.
Or Fighters with nine attacks.
>>
>>48842520
I don't think you know how any of this works.
>>
>>48842520

Monk
>At 17th level, if you want to spend 15 of your 17 ki points in one fight against one monster, go for it.
> Also, that many attacks with that hit die is still negligible compared to other classes past a certain point.

Frenzy berserker
> Oh no, 4x 1dX weapon attacks vs. 3x 2d6/1d12 attacks at the same level.

Fighter
> Even better at hitting things, albeit with smaller weapon die.
Truly broken.
>>
>>48837984
I6 is just village of Barov and Castle Ravenloft why wouldn't you run Cos?
>>
First time playing a bard, and I decided to go with Sorcerer Initiate, but I'm having the worst time picking my cantrips.
I so far have Ray of frost, but I'm not sure what else I should get for the other three (bard cantrips included) or the MI 1st level spell.
I picked the feat because the bard has like a tiny bit of magic in his blood and it fit the character, but I'm just not sure what I want besides the Ray.
>>
>>48843189
From a mechanical standpoint it isn't a good choice. I suppose you can the the SCAG Melee Cantrips increasing you weapons damage?
>>
>>48843221
Unfortunately I'm only allowed PHB stuff.
I kind of want to be the party's full range support and damage caster with more passive stuff like Aura of Vitality while I'm busy chucking fireballs or lightning bolts.
However, the character is a bit lazy at cowardly at first, and does put comfort above utility for his lists.
>>
My players will be coming up on a town that is under attack by orcs. I need some ideas for objectives that will help fend off the attacking army. So far i got

1) retaking a city gate and lowering the portcullis to cut off reinforcements

2) defend or repair a breach in the city wall

3) defend a bunch of commoners in an inn

4) retake a barracks to arm the commoners to form a militia

5) free some acolytes in a temple to bring healers to the defenders

also any ideas how to determine overall failure would be appreciated.
>>
I never tried DMing before and I want to make my friend switch from pathflounder into 5e.

Any recommend one-off adventure for new players (and DM)? Preferably something for level 2 PC, because that's when each class get cool stuff.
>>
>>48843189
Go for utility.
Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion etc.
>>
>>48844152
Death House. A free to download fun adventure for all the family.
>>
>>48844253
That's awesome. Are there any other good, short, official one-shots like this?

>please don't say LMoP, please don't say LMoP....
Thread posts: 369
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.