[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/bgg/ - Board Game General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 34

File: images.jpg (15KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
15KB, 225x225px
Cheeto dust edition.

If you could have your non-gaming friends play a game of your choice, regardless of difficulty, what would you pick?

Have you had any bad experiences with another player during a game?

How would you go about explaining the rules to your favorite game?
>>
>If you could have your non-gaming friends play a game of your choice, regardless of difficulty, what would you pick?
Rex. I love the dune system, and I'd love it if my friends were better at learning rules and things. It gets way better if everyone knows what going on and focuses on trying to figure what other people's actions are for, leading to a lot of deceptions and stuff. Probably on me for not explaining very well

>Have you had any bad experiences with another player during a game?
Playing Rex, where the guy who plays the dude who knows where the influence is gonna drop and what cards are up next stopped giving a shit halfway through, much to the anger of everyone else

>How would you go about explaining the rules to your favorite game?
Idk. Still having trouble explaining Rex. Tried to pitch it as area control, where everyone knows one piece of information on the board and has to act on it, while reading into how other people use their own unique information. I like Rex a lot, just have trouble getting people to learn it to the point where its depth shows
>>
>>48749920
>If you could have your non-gaming friends play a game of your choice, regardless of difficulty, what would you pick?

I don't have any non-gaming friends :(.

Seriously, I would just play a modern party game with them.

The only examples that come to mind are when I caused bad experiences. I've heard that one guy walked away from a game of Terra Mystica he was loosing; he was subsequently banned for a short period and hasn't returned since.
>>
File: P1030866.jpg (605KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
P1030866.jpg
605KB, 1000x750px
>>48749920
>>48750725

My general approach for any game, as illustrated by Saint Petersburg, 2nd ed. (I just taught this game on Tuesday):

>Summarize the premise of the game in a sentence or two, even if that premise is weak.
>>We are helping Tsar Peter the Great in building his new capital for his Empire. We do this by recruiting workers, building buildings and attracting noblemen.

>Start with how you win the game; if it's by points, explain how you get those points.
>>In Saint Petersburg, you gain points by having cards in tableaux at the end of that card's phase, according to what is printed on the card, and by having different types of nobles and roubles in hand at the end of the game.

>Go over the general structure of play, especially if the game has different rounds, phases, etc.
>>The game consists of a number of rounds, each consists of 5 different phases; the worker, market, building, noble and upgrade phases. During each phase, the player with the phase token starts by taking an action. Play continues until players have all consecutively passed. Then cards of that round pay out and are scored, according to the rules of the round.

>Go over what a player can do on their turn.
>>On your turn you can do one of three actions. You can buy a card, paying the cost written in top corner in roubles, and place it in your tableaux. For each card of that type in tableaux, you get a discount of 1 rouble, but you always have pay a rouble. You can take a card into your hand, choosing to build it in later round; but if you have it in hand at the end of the game, you will lose 5 point per card. Or you can pass; you can take action afterwards, if possible.

>Explain the end game conditions, if they are separate from the winning conditions.
>>The game ends when any of the card stack is exhausted; once that is the case, the round is played out and the game is over.
>>
>>48749920
>non-gaming friends
what non-gaming friends? seriously almost all of my friends have board game nights or at least rp nights now, even if it's not with me. This is a recent development over the past year or so.

But let's say my friends brought friends and we're all hanging out in someone's living room. I'd maybe choose a little-known Avalon-clone called Moriarty's Machinations. There is one "Merlin" on each team (Sherlock and Moriarty) and one assassin (Jack the Ripper and Inspector Lestrade). Most other characters are variations on Percival, but in this really complicated flow chart of who knows who. There's a character who can use a one-time special mission action (negate a fail), and a character (Irene Adler) who wants Moriarty's team to succeed missions but for Sherlock not to die at the hands of Jack. And each mission can have any number of participants, so long as no one mission roster is repeated.

It makes for a really neat web of deduction, but most of the deductive/deceptive powers of each role goes over the heads of casual players. I'd really love to see some expert-level play of this one, even if it's not with my friends really.

>favorite game rules explanation
It's all down to using the terminology. It usually clicks after the reshuffle. They don't have to be a strategy expert from the word go.

I hand them their decks, show them the cards that it starts with, then instruct them to shuffle and each deal themselves five cards. I show them my own hand, then motion to the supply.
With each pile, I note the cost of the card. With the treasure cards, I note that the money it earns is different than its cost.

Taking the first turn, I recite ABC. Action - I have no action cards in my hand, so I skip my 1 action. Buy - I take a card from the supply and start a pile. Cleanup - I place cards in play and my hand into the pile slowly. Then draw.

I then tell them the end game condition and the win condition. Then I explain each kingdom card in play.
>>
>>48750804

Things you should also do:

>Be moderately redundant, by stating important rules and facts up front, and then repeating them during the relevant round and turn structure explanation.
>Always be willing to answer questions. If you going to say it later, just repeat it then.
>You could give a tip or two, especially if the game can be unforgiving. So in Saint Petersburg, I mentioned that it is important to save money in the first few rounds to buy workers for the next round, as they are you main method of income generation.
>Sometimes, it can be easier to teach a game by not following the strict chronological order of a round or a turn. So in Race for the Galaxy, I find it useful to skip Phase IV (Consume), the most complicated phase, and go straight to Phase V (Produce). Then I talk about Consume. In Saint Petersburg, 2nd ed. I often leave the scoring for market phase for later, as it quite different from how scoring in the building and noble phases work.
>Games with special ability cards can be tricky to teach, especially if the cards are secret and/or the cards use with a moderate amount of iconography. Just leave them for when they are relevant.

He's another question: that whole summary that wrote about Saint Petersburg was done completely from memory. How many games can you do this with? What are they?
>>
File: AFewOtherCasualGamesNotPictured.png (872KB, 1082x618px) Image search: [Google]
AFewOtherCasualGamesNotPictured.png
872KB, 1082x618px
>>48749920
I'd love to try Twilight Imperium, but I don't have enough friends into heavier games (plus I don't own it).

There's a guy at my FLGS who has absolutely mastered Axis & Allies and refuses to bother with the rules of any other game. That said, he still tries to play those games and will spend the entire time asking how to do basic stuff and how really simple ideas work.

> How would you go about explaining the rules to your favorite game?
Pretty much in this >>48750804 exact way. I learned the method from a SUSD video. I'd add that if a theme sounds boring, there's probably a way you can spin it so that its not.

Attaching an image of my collection. Not sure what kind of response I'm looking for, so if any of you want to ruthlessly mock me for my shit-tier taste then that might actually be kinda fun to read.
>>
>>48749920
BattleCon

Yes. Improptu tournament game of Frag with just a few token prizes where I jumped in for another player without participating in the ranking. The only important thing in Frag are the eponymous Frags. I drew a couple of cards that made me nigh-unkillable. One player kept feebly attacking me and dying despite having better targets because I was the most experienced player, then he made a big stink because everything is unfair.
Most unpleasant experience I've had so far.

Explain styles, bases and triggers. Everything else is learning by doing.

Now another try.

I need a recommendation for a not too expensive (up to about 30 bucks) game that my friends who will soon return from the UK to Germany can get me from the LGS. My favorites from my current collection are:

>BattleCon
>Blue Moon Legends
>Sellswords
>Innovation
>Star Realms

I do not know what that tells you about my tastes, but I hope it tells you at least something useful.
>>
>>48749920

Everyone I know is willing to play board games. Hell, I've even introduced my family to board games and we play when I visit.

The two actually 'bad' instances I can remember have been:

When I played Strife with a friend, he just couldn't 'understand' it and we stopped after two turns. Could of course been I didn't do well at explaining it, but he even read through the rulebook and just couldn't 'get' it. I was really enjoying it even though we barely got into it and he was just really complain-y about it.

Another time was when it was our first game of Caverna, a friend blamed me for not properly explaining the final scoring to him as he had left large amounts of his cave and fields empty, netting him a lot of negative points. I absolutely had explained that part of the scoring and everyone else says they heard it. and I had even brought it up about halfway through when I noticed he wasn't filling things out and he just had said 'I have a plan'. Needless to say he did not score well at all. He was VERY salty about it, saying 'If I had said it, he would have heard it' and continued to blame me about it for the rest of the night as we played some short, wind down games.

I would usually start with the theme and objectives/victory condition, and then go into how to achieve them and then into a bit more of the gears and cogs.

So when explaining Chaos in the Old World, I start out with 'You are horrific Eldritch beings who are making terrible, awful things happen to poor, innocent people', then explain victory by dial advancement and VP, and then explain how to get dial advancements and VP, then the round order, and then we should be good to go.
>>

Anything really. I have no reason to play game X with non gaming friends when I can play said game with gaming friends.

Recently played Dead of Winter with a horrible sore loser guy. Absolutely miserable experience. And I already hate traitor games to begin with.

I'm the rules teacher for all of the games we play so... Same thing as usual : Awkwardly bumble my way through unclear rules explanations. I'm a shitty teacher.
>>
>>48752489
>I do not know what that tells you about my tastes, but I hope it tells you at least something useful.
It tells me you like 2 player games.

If you're interested in another 2 player Level99 game, take a look at Pixel Tactics. It's good and you should be able to get a box for around $15USD.

Are you looking for games that have more players as well?
>>
>>48755240
Actually, I'm not particularly fond of exclusively 2 player games. They're always awkward to put on the table. The games on my list I like despite being 2 player-only games.

I have the German version of Pixel Tactics, actually. Hard to get players for, thanks to the sheer front-loaded complexity.
>>
> Have you had any bad experiences with another player during a game?

Background: In my heart I'm super analytical always wanting to play the best strategy and better-myself.

This is unfortunately impossible in my group because at max I have maybe two other guys who can play any given game and the games we play usually start at 4.

So I kind of accepted it and even though we play serious games like Chaos in the old World we're laid back at it and we have fun. Sometimes it matters to be analytical, sometimes one of the more clueless players feed Khorn for example or does something equally stupid in another game.

Except there's That One Guy who will from time to time start loudly commenting/advising the more clueless players in such a way that he will win like saying to other players that they have to attack X or else he will win (when he's the one really winning), or saying to play something when he has a counter, "consulting" with another player and seeing his cards so that he knows what to play.

I usually don't give a fuck but when this behaviour is constant it started to grate on me until I exploded and told him to basically shut the fuck up.

Hhe defended himself that he only wants to see everybody playing optimally.

The next time he tries that shit will be probably the last I'm going to play with him. I don't play games to get piseed but to have a good time and it seems we're incompatible.

Anybody had similar experiances?
>>
>>48755455
>Except there's That One Guy who will from time to time start loudly commenting/advising the more clueless players in such a way that he will win like saying to other players that they have to attack X or else he will win (when he's the one really winning), or saying to play something when he has a counter,
That stuff is within the spirit of the game. I'd be annoyed, but probably counter with my own explanations as to why TOG is full of shit.

>"consulting" with another player and seeing his cards so that he knows what to play.
That shit, however, does not fly. I'd tell him to sit down and play his own game. Second time would result in him getting a CitOW ban.
>>

Backgammon. Preferably until they actually got good at it. Not really any fun playing an opponent who barely knows the game.

Hasn't everybody? Sore losers aren't uncommon, neither is kingmaking or other last-ditch efforts to piss off players who are ahead of everybody else.

Worst experience was having someone throw the board off the table. I'm not even a competitive player. They were just being unreasonable and choosing to internalize their impeding loss as some blow to their ego.

Rote memorization is the only way to learn anything, so I can't imagine any method that's more effective than visually demonstrating a sample game session, and repeating the steps several times along the way so they're not forgotten. Just reading a rules pamphlet lends to too much confusion, especially if the pamphlet doesn't clarify on things that may be ambiguous or may involve exceptions.

I should put an emphasis on that last part about ambiguity and rule exceptions. So many in-box rules are horribly underwritten and almost certainly need to be supplemented by online research. For instance, I once picked up a card game with trick-taking mechanics, and the rules threw around a lot of terminology like "tricks" and "trumps" without explaining what any of those terms mean. Not every customer who buys the game already has knowledge of this kind of terminology. I mean, this could very well be someone's introduction to trick-taking games.
>>
>>48755572
> That stuff is within the spirit of the game. I'd be annoyed, but probably counter with my own explanations as to why TOG is full of shit.

I wouldn't care if we played with people on the same level.

As it is I can't even counter because in most of those situations he perks up when it's a choice between me and him so if I'd win people would feel cheeted that I duped them (as TOG usually does).

And yeah I tried it devolves into shouting matches/blame game so I just held my peace or told the other players to not listen but think for themselves until last time where I told him to shut the fuck.

I probably shuldn't even play these kinds of games with players that aren't on the same level but it would probably mean i wouldn't play them at all.
>>
>>48755380
What are some other themes and mechanics that you like?

For light you could always get Bohnanza. it's fun, light, and you can always whip out the fact that 'bohne' means 'bean' in German.

If you want a light-medium game, perhaps take a look at Artifacts Inc. It's one me and friends have enjoyed, fits a wide range of players comfortably, and has a good balance of planning with a dash of luck mixed in.

So something more solidly in medium maybe Tiny Epic Kingdoms or Eight Minute Empires: Legends will be your speed. Solid area control, special powers, and slick art work in both.

Going heavier would be difficult under the budget as most heavy games are big, shiny boxes, but you might be able to get Race for the Galaxy, Seasons, or The Castles of Burgundy for that price.
>>
Pretty much all of my friends are gamers - it's my family that need to get on my level, so I'll say that I'd like my family to play Shadow Hunters.
I've posted at some length about such experiences, and have no desire to do so again.
I'unno... read the rulebook? Ankh Morpork actually has a well-written set of rules, so it wouldn't be too arduous.
>>
>>48756188
Themes... Well, I'm a sucker for anime-styled artwork, but most good games from Japan have the nasty habit of staying in Japan. And mechanically, I like games with emergent complexity. Easy to learn, hard to master. Which is why I was immediately smitten with Blue Moon Legends, even though most people seem to take some time warming up to it.

I hate Bohnanza. Striking deals with other players is abhorrent to me, because I am not a good negotiator. And if anyone I play with didn't know what 'Bohne' (nouns are always capitalized) means, that would be rather worrisome, living in Germany and all. Also, if I wanted that game, it would be much easier to get here.

Artifacts Inc. immediately hits three points that make me wary: worker placement, economics and an archaeology theme. Definitely not worth the risk of a blind buy.

Tiny Epic Kingdoms and Eight Minute Empires: Legends seem to be 4X, which I never could warm up to.

I think the problem here is that I grew up with and, living in Germany, I am still surrounded by Eurogames, so they are not something I want to have in my personal collection.
>>
>>48757456
Onitama is a great oriental styled 1v1 game that is super easy to pick up but can allow for some very deep strategy.

Fairy Tale is a sort of generic fantasy theme, but has great anime-styled artwork, has a very unique 'card building' mechanic, and can fit in your budget easy.

Puzzle Strike could work since it's styled like street fighter, or at least the Puzzle Fighter game that's emulating Street Fighter. Should fit $30 or under.

Tragedy Looper is Stein's Gate in a box. Lots of good anime-styled artwork that has a well made 1vall element. Unfortunately this is more in the 40 burger bucks territory

Another good one that's higher than your proposed budget is Ghost Stories, a anime/wushu styled co-op where everyone is trying to fight off ghosts. VERY hard, but also fun. And a little bit more outside the $30 limit your set up earlier.

And you could always go for Tanto Cuore if you want your friends to look at you wierd.
>>
>>48758313
Sorry my brain crossed wires, Fairy Tale isn't the one with the card building, but it does have some good artwork and is pretty good.

And I'm now having an insanely hard time finding that new card/deck building game that has the clear cards that have three segments that you assemble into a single card. I literally can't find it.
>>
>>48758313
>>48758416
Okay, finally found it again. Mystic Vale. Great art, cool mechanics. But also a tad pricey.
>>
>>48758313
Onitama sounds good. I'd still love to get my hands on a copy of RRR.

Even Fairy Tale is the wrong game, I read good things about it.

Puzzle Strike I tried at Spielwiesn and the whole poker chip-thing is way more tedious than cards.

Tragedy Looper I've had my eyes on for quite a while, but the price is prohibitive.

Ghost Stories' most popular review on BGG is overwhelmingly negative. Really don't like what I read there...

I've tried Tanto Cuore on TTS. Pretty meh anyway. I'm more curious about Heart of Crown.

Mystic Vale's reviews also make me think that I won't enjoy the game.

Well, that's two games. It's a start.
>>
>>48758736
You might have time to print and play Tragedy Looper. It's pretty easy to do so.
>>
>>48758776
Is it? Care to elaborate?
>>
File: Happy-Cinco-De-Mayo-13.jpg (46KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
Happy-Cinco-De-Mayo-13.jpg
46KB, 540x405px

Assuming they'd be actually into it and not retarded? Probably fury of dracula because I've never gotten that to go off with a full 5. Same with roll for the galaxy.

Mostly play with my gf. I got 7 wonders duel while she was at work and really wanted to play it when she got home. She was hiding the fact that she was exhausted while we played and I destroyed her both games. She got depressed and beat up on herself about not being smart enough to challenge me etc (which I know isn't true since she kicks my ass at roll all the time)
So that sucked.

Roll dice to spend dice to buy tiles that get you more dice so you can buy more tiles.
>>
File: Mist_maw.png (434KB, 1249x1822px) Image search: [Google]
Mist_maw.png
434KB, 1249x1822px
>>48758736
I play ghost stories 2 player and solo all the time. It's got a good design and theme (same designer went on to do 7 wonders). I went and read that review; seems to me like the game was just too hard for him/he and his wife are bad at it. It is a very challenging game, but that's why I like it. Too many Co op games are too easy to win (pandemic, forbidden desert, elder sign, etc)
>>
>>48759149
If I want tough as nails, I already have Say Bye to the Villains. And BattleCon, for that matter.

Not to mention that co-op don't really go all that well with most of the people with whom I play.
>>
File: tragedy.png (873KB, 940x504px) Image search: [Google]
tragedy.png
873KB, 940x504px
>>48758856
It'll be tedious, but should only take like 2 hours max.
The board itself can be represented with 4 pieces of paper. All other information on them is represented elsewhere, such as which characters cannot enter them.
The marker on the left is easily represented with a piece of paper. All counters can be replaced with coins.
Character cards can be printed up (there's a Persona 4 retheme that I believe is printer friendly on BGG) but otherwise are generally short enough to be written on a card, or even Post-it notes like I've done here.
The player aid can also be found on BGG. It is basically required for playing anyways.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/113586/tragedy-looper-full-player-aid
Lastly, you'll need to make 3 sets of Action cards, (page 7 in the manual) and a Mastermind card set. You'll need to be careful to make sure all the cards backs look the same. This is because each plays a card face down, and no-one should know what the card is until it is flipped over. Each set should also look unique to that player, because they need to get back that specific card at the end of the turn. Same for the Mastermind cards.
>>
File: traged.jpg (159KB, 1644x919px) Image search: [Google]
traged.jpg
159KB, 1644x919px
>>48759335
I made an example here. The only time you need to care about the card backs is on the Action cards, so the Character card here can be easily represented with a post it note.

You also don't need to make a proxy for every card, since the first scenario only has like 6 characters.
>>
>>48759335
>>48759367
Oh, sounds good.
I'll get my color printer up and running, bust out the heavy paper and see about adding that gem to my collection.
>>
>>48759443
Dice Tower reviews are especially useful for trying to PnP a game, since they have very nice zoomed in shots of various assets.

You'll need to print about 30-40 cards total in order to play the first scenario of Tragedy Looper, by my estimate. Once you've done the character/action cards and player aid, you've basically gotten the whole game.
>>

One guy in particular who is just sooo vindictive.

We like board games involving negotiation and hidden roles, and he wrecks both of those. If you do anything he doesn't like he'll accuse you of being whatever the bad thing is in the hidden role game all night. If you don't offer him deals that are heavily stacked in his favor in games with negotiation he will refuse every time.
>>
>>Have you had any bad experiences with another player during a game?
I got banned from playing a game by a friend after he got mad at me.

He and another player worked together early game to beat me down so badly I stood no chance of winning, so I found a recurring loop I could exploit to continually blow both of their progress up at the cost of me never making any.

He was mad I didn't just sit there and do nothing for the rest of the game.
>>
>>48759674
Sounds like the rest of the table should just conspire to destroy him in negotiation games until he learns.

>>48759781
Open a salt mine, make millions.
>>
File: co-related games2.png (6MB, 1040x3642px) Image search: [Google]
co-related games2.png
6MB, 1040x3642px
>>
TI3

not really, just sore losers and having to sit through tedious, long games that clearly only 1 person enjoyed

As simply and clearly as possible, using examples as I go.
>>
>>48749920
Casual games I can explain and play in 10 minutes or less. I want them to have fun too, submitting non gamers to fucking ASL is plain sadistic.
An ex gf could not stand losing. She was fiercely competitive, but her temper would flare at the slightest sign the game was not going to go in her favor.
Needless to say, I didn't play much of anything with her, because I knew I`d always have to end up letting her win to avoid a fight.
Once on a camping trip I brought Rummikub. Innocuous, right? Wrong. She flipped the table and I just would not take that shit any longer. I tossed the game into the campfire, got into a huge fucking fight that lasted the whole weekend and never again played anything with her. Broke up some 6 months later, and I became a much happier gamer.
Dunno. Play the game and go with the flow, explaining rules as the need comes up?
>>
>>48759781
Which game?
>>
>>48752489
Having run some BattleCON demos at gencon, i did it like so:
>this is a game like console fighting games like BlazBlue or Guilty Gear (i made a point of using these games for that, Street Fighter and Tekken for Exceed)
>we both have 20 life and are trying to kill the other
>each turn, take a base, which look like these and have blue backs, and styles, which look like these and have red backs, and put them face down
>highest yellow number goes first, do what the card says, then try to get them in your blue number to deal the red number

Then id explain triggers to them on the first round, letting us play out a game between two simple, straightforward characters.
>>
Quick Race for the Galaxy rules dispute: When do you get the VP's from cards like Galactic Federation?
>>
>>48764649
The cards usually spell out when they generate VPs - such as 'every time X happens' or 'at the end of the game you get X for every 2 red dice in your dice pool.'
>>
>>48764649
The VPs? You mean from having developments? That's end-of-game scoring. All 6-devs are like that.
>>
File: v-related traditional games2.png (6MB, 1256x3151px) Image search: [Google]
v-related traditional games2.png
6MB, 1256x3151px
>>
>>48771343
SE4X? I've never heard of any game that's based on...
>>
>>48771690
I'll give you 3 guesses what the name of the game it's based on is.
>>
What's the difference ebtween FoD and FoD 2nd ed?
A friend of mine has the first edition but we've never played it. I wanted to get it in my collection, but was hoping for no overlap, so I need to know if it's different enough to merit its own spot.
>>
Played the first Mansions of Madness 2ed scenario last night. We found the win condition, but ultimately lost because my friend, who was in position to end the game, got held up by two baddies. I eventually died by trying to keep another monster away from him. If we had played a few things a little more strategically we might have won, and now I'm yearning to try it again.

We laughed so hard throughout. The writing is actually funny...I'm not sure if it was intentional, but it seemed that way. Sometimes we had to laugh not to cry (re: failing skill checks).

There were several things, not just the major plot points, that took us aback (one of the monster attacks in particular had me with goosebumps). With only minor complaints, the app worked beautifully.

Plus there was actually a decent amount of stuff we didn't even explore. I have more questions than I started with, which is a great sign for replayability. So yeah, I'm extremely happy with this game
>>
>>48773294
They're both out of print (1st ed is long, long out of print, it's a really old game). They're both sort of characteristic of Ameritrash board games of their time, in that they have a lot of chrome to support the theme so you'll go back to the rulebook a lot. Also I've heard about fiddly combat but I don't know that much.

Current edition is 3rd edition. It has a more straightforward combat system that really emphasizes that the hunters build up an arsenal. Some other rules are cleaned up but there's still a lot of chrome. Really considered getting it for a long time but wanted a better price than FFG could give me
>>
>>48773525
2nd and 3d then, thanks for clarifying

So, does it merit its own space in my shelf or should I go for something my friend doesn't already have?
>>
>>48774211
Question is complicated by the fact that you're not playing the version you have. I'd advise getting a couple plays in of that one before you decide if you want the revised version. There's a few important revisions but they are largely the same game.
>>
>>48774795
Sound advice. It's hard to resist the "OMG I don't even know what this is but I want it!" impulse.
>>
>>48775407
Wait... You're allowed to resist that? Why didn't someone tell me! (Said by the guy waiting for more games & expansions to arrive from CSI.)
>>
>>48749920
All I play is casual games these days:
Telestrations, Wits & Wagers (using family betting/scoring), Dixit, Loaded Questions.

Going to try Coup and Codenames next time we get together.
>>
Played a few games today with some people from my roleplaying club...
>Samurai Spirit
Holy shit, this game is fun. You need to do a bit of the old "optimisation" shenanigans, and we did need to do a bit of quarterbacking for one guy (to be fair, he WAS hilariously drunk) but who cares, when you get to play Seven Samurai With Furry Magic?
>Resistance and Saboteur
We usually play these whenever we get together; we had some new people show up, who didn't quite understand either game, but they did okay and seemed to have fun.
>>
Is Twilight Strugle as good as BGG makes it out to be?
>>
Struggle of Empires, I think. Haven't played it for a looong time so it'd be fun just for that, but I'm also a bit of a fan of euro/wargame hybrids. Also it'd be uncool to just go directly to Triumph&Tragedy or one of the COIN games.

Fortunately not. I suppose the closest is a friend who can't stop talking, generally about anything but the game. Still a chill guy though.

Favourite game is Triumph&Tragedy (which has enough rules that I cba to type it out here but pretty simple for a wargame) and I gues it'd be something like:

>basic game structure, ie number of turns, relevant terms, how to win, etc.
>explain resource/population/industry track and what the three are
>use of cards for diplomacy/commands and industry/tech
>effects of diplomacy and tech
>here's how a turn looks, broken into its different phases
>consequences of declaration of war and violating neutral states
>units, movement, battles, retreat, rebasing, more units rules
>supply lines, trade routes, blockades

Uh, there's probably more I'm forgetting atm but yeah. Something like that.

>>48778514
I've a very limited number of plays, but I guess I'd say yeah, it is that good. Damn simple rules and I've gotten the impression the game has tons of depth and replayability. Also every time I've played it it's been a soul draining experience with what felt like choices varying from not so great to downright terrible, but somehow it was still really fun. Also fuck the Red Scare/Purge card.
>>
>>48778514
I bought the Steam version of TS, because I needed practice to play VS a friend who has a physical copy.
I haven't won but once against the AI and my confidence to play a human opponent is shot. I dunno if the AI is fucking ruthless, the game is stacked or I simply suck that badly.

Aside from that, I can see why the game gets such praise, it is a tense dance with your enemy that gives you second thoughts about everything you do, as you try to outmanoeuvre him to painfully win a single victory point, just to see that advantage lost in the same turn. So good.
>>
>>48778514
Yes and no. It's a wonderful game (maybe not in my top 10 but prolly top 25 or 30), but BGG is still less casual gamer friendly (their whole overhaul of the site into a facebook copy is trying to combat this) so you'll find more people there who are going to give it high marks, than in the general gaming populace. It's also worth looking at the number of voters, Catan and Carcassonne have 60,000 votes, these are games everyone tries, and the scores are very accurate as a result. There's a lot of people who see the time, weight, etc of Twilight Struggle, see that it's made by a company that does heavier war games, and just avoid it altogether which means their votes (likely 4s, 5s, 6s) aren't ever posted because they know enough to avoid it if they won't enjoy it.
>>
File: 1447571261169.png (474KB, 705x485px) Image search: [Google]
1447571261169.png
474KB, 705x485px
>>48772200
excitement?
exotic belly dancing?
excrement?

>>48779353
>>48778957
>>48779430

These niggas already got things down pat. It is wonderful, and losing has seen both me and my mate feel physically ill as it dawned on us we were about to lose, and that sensation lingered for a good fifteen minutes after each match.

Of course, by then we were setting it up for round two and the feeling had passed.
>>
>>48779353
>I bought the Steam version of TS, because I needed practice to play VS a friend who has a physical copy.

I have both steam and physical.

>I haven't won but once against the AI and my confidence to play a human opponent is shot. I dunno if the AI is fucking ruthless, the game is stacked or I simply suck that badly.

The A.I. is incredibly tough. It's been optimized and it's extremely rare that it misses an opportunity. That said, the game is great because it enforces the rules correctly the entire game (which is an awesome way to learn it) and if you look at the plays the A.I. makes you can learn some of the timings and strategies.
>>
>>48752489

If you like 2p card games, try Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn. It's MtG+Dice but not a CCG like MtG or Android. When you buy an expansion you get all the cards for the new character. There's some deckbuilding options with the cards they've provided but it's not necessary.

Matches are more about timing than most other card games.
>>
>>48781356
Android isn't a CCG either. It's an LCG. No rares, uncommons, etc. Buy what you like and everyone's on an even footing.
>>
I bought GoT: board game as my first board game for my friends, we really liked it but we hate how long a match is, last time we played around 6hours.
So we were looking for some other game to play, these are my internet friends and we play videogames together, so we're not looking for any co-op game, and preferably videogame relatered.
Civilization's board game was my option but Im not sure, is it good? Is it too similar to GoT?
People keep telling me to get Catan, but goddamn yesterday a girl told me its like GoT for retards, and you need to get a lot of expansions to make it fun to play.
>>
>>48782251

You might want to look at pic related... >>48771343

There are also Fantasy games you might like - Kemet, Deus, and Chaos in the Old World all might fit your bill and play faster even if not vidya game related. I can't say I'd recommend Catan, it was revolutionary for American gamers 20 years ago, but that was then and these days there are a lot of better choices out there.
>>
So, I've played Chaos in the Old World, I've played Blood Rage, and now I've played Cry Havoc a couple of times, and I think I've realized something and I'm wondering if other people feel the same -- namely, I've realized that I greatly dislike area control games with a heavy card aspect. They just greatly, enormously annoy me, because I feel like everyone is one additional step removed from the game itself. I don't directly interact with the game, I interact with my hand, which in turn interacts with the game.

I liken it to playing Chess with a hand of cards -- you can't move the Queen without playing a Queen card, you can't move a pawn without a pawn card, and you don't know what cards your opponents have so you have no idea what they're capable of doing nor what they want to do. So you bumble around blindly, playing at percentages, and everyone just steps on each others' toes constantly and whoever gets their toes stepped on the least ends up winning. It's just frustrating and ultimately random, not in a dice sense but in the sense that the initial conditions of each game round are random and unknown to all actors.

Blood Rage is far and away the worst offender in this regard -- the quest cards in particular are just awful for this. It simply doesn't matter what plans people make, someone is going to come screaming across the map trying to colonize the region that is critical to your plan because they got two quest cards for that region which you never even saw in the draft. Sucks to be you! Try again next age maybe. Some people will say that you should try and prepare and expect shit like that, but the range of possibilities is so great that preparing and expecting everything is physically impossible and just results in you doing nothing because there are no safe actions.

Does anyone else feel this way, or am I just tilting at windmills here?
>>
>>48781993

I can't keep track of all the terminology (ECG, LCG, CCG, TCG). I used CCG to refer to games with a collectible aspect, limited or not.

I still prefer the model Ashes uses with a new character every couple of months instead of every month. I also just like the resource management that dice add.

>Civilization's board game was my option but Im not sure, is it good?

It's pretty shit. Go to Boardgamegeek and look at their video game related board game category. I think the Doom one is recommended.
>>
>>48782452
>I can't keep track of all the terminology (ECG, LCG, CCG, TCG). I used CCG to refer to games with a collectible aspect, limited or not.

Fair enough. I simply wish there were consistent terms used to differentiate between games like MTG / Android where one uses a 'per-constructed deck' verses games that are 'deck builders' (i.e. rely upon a drafting mechanism).
>>
I'll be moving into a new apartment with 3 other people, what are some good 4 player games? I've already got most of the well known stuff like Forbidden Island but I want to expand my collection.
>>
File: 1461274115133.jpg (59KB, 583x620px) Image search: [Google]
1461274115133.jpg
59KB, 583x620px
>>48782251
Kemet, Chaos in the Old World. Small world, or Neuroshima Hex! might all scratch the similar itch.

>>48781356
>>48781993
What anon is focusing o is, in a new pack of Ashes, you get a complete deck rather than individual cards that expand the existing factions all at once. The deck has its own themes and synergies, and from what the tournament results show, about 3-4 cards reinvigorate the meta, which sounds about on par for what expansion packs in ffg's lcgs do.

In any case, I second Ashes. Small decksize makes keeps deckbuilding tight, knowing how to time your plays and seize tempo is one of the most entertaining parts of the game.

>>48782447
I wonder if designers feel that using cards is the most streamlined manner of adding assymetrical play and filling out different factions.

In something like chaos, though you may not know what precise cards are in a players hands at any given time, after a few plays you certainly know what a player is capable of, and should keep backup plans in mind. Khorne can and WILL teleport a warrior across the map to fuck your shit up, so how are you going to convince him that you are not worth mugging? There is certainly a subtle layer of politics in chaos, and it is more than just whose toes get stepped on the least. If you play your cards (snicker) right, you have an active role in ensuring your plans get the least disrupted. All of the gods goals are evident on the map from the outset. Nurgle is always wanting to get the middle regions, but therefore risks getting his shit kicked in by khorne, as it offer the bloodgod the greatest amount of mobility for picking on everyone. So it is up to nurgle to decide how to deal with this scenario from the outset, cards/dice be damned. I've been the victim of playing the pestilence role poorly, and I have seen it played brilliantly, leading to tzeetnch and slaanesh getting shat on in consequence.

As for bloodborne, never played, no comment.
>>
>>48782624
Try some drafting/auction games. Little downtime, plays fast enough, and can still trigger some saltiness. Gotta get to know how much you can push your roommates around, right?

Check out For Sale, No Thanks! Sushi Go.

Co-ops or bluffing games are great too. I enjoy sheriff of nottingham, the Grizzled, and Hanabi
>>
>>48782731
Thanks
>>
>>48778514
From a fun perspective, probably not.
From a pure design perspective it's basically perfect.
>>
>>48782596
ECG = Expandible card game. Means there will be expansions consisting of the exact same cards, with no random insertions and/or rarity.

LCG = Living card game. Trademarked FFG bullshit codeword for an ECG. As above, but expansions will be released periodically and competitive gameplay will see tournament legal expansions phased out as new expansions are released. Metagame is supposed to evolve around the progressive phasing out of older sets.

CCG: Collectible card game = TCG: Trading card game. Randomly inserted cards in booster packs. Commons, Uncommons, Rares, Ultra-rares, Foils, Bullshit.
>>
>>48782624

Tentacle Bento
>>
>>48782685
>What anon is focusing o is, in a new pack of Ashes, you get a complete deck rather than individual cards that expand the existing factions all at once. The deck has its own themes and synergies, and from what the tournament results show, about 3-4 cards reinvigorate the meta, which sounds about on par for what expansion packs in ffg's lcgs do.

Yes, thanks for explaining it.

>In any case, I second Ashes. Small decksize makes keeps deckbuilding tight, knowing how to time your plays and seize tempo is one of the most entertaining parts of the game.

I'm looking forward to Rin although he may be OP. I'm hoping the game sticks around and it seems like Plaid Hat is dedicated to supporting it.
>>
>>48784473
Rin is fine, as is Brennen. Leo on the other hand.....
>>
File: ASH03-Phoenixborn-Leo_Sunshadow.jpg (64KB, 332x452px) Image search: [Google]
ASH03-Phoenixborn-Leo_Sunshadow.jpg
64KB, 332x452px
>>48784538
>Leo

The faggot character? Oh man. I was looking forward to their Harley Quinn ripoff, but if the gay guy in fur ends up the most powerful character, that's fucking hilarious.
>>
im hoping to identify some badly remembered games i played when i was younger, in an effort to see if they were as good as i remember/eventually purchase them
both were probably 10 years ago, and i know the second one was brand new when i played it

1. it had a board, possibly tiles you built similar to Zombies, or games like that. you played as the stereotypical horror movie tropes as your classes (jock, nerd, ect) and if i remember right, no one knew the games goal till it was started. then villians and heroes were given to people from the module, and for the most part, people wouldn't know who the villian was. (as in, the cheerleader, was also a werewolf, and had to hide it till win considion)
i THINK it was house on haunted hill, but im not sure

2. i have absolutely no clue the name. it was more of a pen and paper lite, in that everyone made a character from classes/races, and you were all on a spaceship you built together with tiles. each class had abilities that let them man stations on the ship, or do other activities (soldier boarding enemy ships instead of manning guns, like that). it had the "board" of the ships on a player scale, and an actual space board the pilot/enemies would navigate through for ship scale. it wasn't the best game, but it was definitely interesting, and im wondering what became of it
>>
>>48785236

1 is without a doubt Betrayal at House on the Hill.
>>
>>48785619
sweet thanks, that definitely looks like it. i had alot more fun with that one, but sadly we never ended up playing it as often as i would like. apparently it relatively recently got an expansion set, so thats even better.
>>
File: Mystic-Vale.jpg (28KB, 573x363px) Image search: [Google]
Mystic-Vale.jpg
28KB, 573x363px
A few people mentioned mystic vale in this thread, so I figured I'd share my thoughts on the solo variant some guy came up with on boardgamegeek. Basically it's just playing the game as you normally would on your own, but you start with 8 level 1 advancements in the pile, 15 vp in the pool, and you try to get as much as you can before 19 turns are over. Every turn past 19 increases the amount of points you lose (20 turns is -1 point, 21 turns is -3, 22 is -6, and it keeps going up). General goal is to beat 40 points.

Just ran through it myself and scored 36. I'm a really big fan of deckbuilders, and enjoy playing them solo. I have to say, from that point of view, mystic vale is a really good game. There's a lot more decisions you have to think about/make than in, say, ascension, which is one of my favorite games. You really can build your deck in a ton of different ways, from the placing of your advancements on your cards, to which cards you power up, and of course to how you gear your deck. I actually ended up going a little TOO fast and emptied the VP pool at about round 15, ending the game prematurely.

I've played it with friends twice now and it's a lot of fun, but I definitely recommend it for solo players. High score style, it's great, and I'm willing to be it's pretty easy to make variants for if you want to add some sort of AI to it.
>>
>>48784125
Thanks for the info. Could there not be both ECG/LCG and CCG/TCG that used either preconstructed decks or drafting? I was thinking more about how the decks are made before vs during the game itself rather than the rarity of certain cards.
>>
>>48786620
Well there's deck building for card games and there's deckbuilding games. Semantics.
In ANR or M:tG you pick the cards that go into your deck before a game to fit your playstyle. Customization.
In Dominion or Thunderstone you start with the same base deck and you build your deck buying new cards to explore a strategy, so the deck building is a game mechanic, not a prerequisite.

Preconstructed decks have been a thing for a while, MtG came up with thematic starter decks in the late 90s, so as a newcomer to the game you could just buy a and play a functional deck without buying a ton of boosters. Netrunner also has draft packs.
I'm not even making any sense, gonna hit the sack now.
>>
>>48784580
To be honest, it isn't even about his mill package, which is a hoot to play out. Its the god damn standard bearing bird. Every round you are gonna waste resources to kill his stuff, so with an aggro shell and battlefield size 6, he can go to town on everyone. No link to a dice type for the bird also helps broaden the possible builds.

Also, the nerfs to enchanted violinist shakes things up. It is my least favorite way to deal with card imbalances (see l5r and AEG who did it frequently enough at the end of its life cycle.), but plaid hat did it once before with base set summoner wars, and then never again as they got their play testing and balancing shit together.
>>
>>48785236
2 sounds like Battlestations, there's a second edition that is coming out next year
>>
File: pic586431.jpg (653KB, 1071x1500px) Image search: [Google]
pic586431.jpg
653KB, 1071x1500px
>>48782251
>People keep telling me to get Catan, but goddamn yesterday a girl told me its like GoT for retards, and you need to get a lot of expansions to make it fun to play.

1 - It's not like Game of Thrones. At all.

2 - Maybe. I've gotten Catan on my phone, which comes with some of the Seafarers scenarios. Playing those, I see how it does balance the game out, and I don't think I would ever play the base game electronically after that.

>>48782447
>I've realized that I greatly dislike area control games with a heavy card aspect. They just greatly, enormously annoy me, because I feel like everyone is one additional step removed from the game itself. I don't directly interact with the game, I interact with my hand, which in turn interacts with the game.

Honestly, most modern euros often have an "inner game" where you can do stuff to gain points but can only interact with it via an "outer game" that heavily restricts what players can do on their turns. Examples would be the worker placement games, where players are building something, but can only do actions as dictated by what they can and have selected by the board.

Also, has anybody played pic related? I know of a copy on sale for 20 bucks. Is it worth it?
>>
>>48781356
Tried it at RPC Cologne.
I had to correct the guy teaching it to me on a couple of rules that didn't make sense to me until I read up on them and realized that they were all wrong to begin with.

Theme is meh, gameplay also felt meh.
It's pretty, but not worth the price, especially since it's an LCG.
>>
>>48788204
once i read the name i was positive that is it. double checked, and it is.
hopefully i can find a copy thats not badly priced, and in good condition when i end up getting these. theres one cheap one, but most "new" ones im seeing are marked up amazon ones. i could just wait for 2nd edition , it looks alot better than the old one, though i might just be attracted to those 3d design tokens, instead of using the tiny fold out tokens

on a related note though, does anyone have any more "scenario" based boardgame suggestions? the only other one (other than both of these two apparently) iv played was heroquest, and loved that as well. i apparently might just have a hard on for scenario based boardgames
>>
Just played 7 Wonders with ALL expansion, and Islebound.
Babel makes the game too random and swingy for my taste, great projects are amazing though.
>>
>>48782251
6 hours? Jesus, you guys are slow. My first game was with 6 new players and we clocked in at only 3 hours. Civ the board game is pretty good, but it's probably got a similar complexity and time requirement per player to GoT. In our group it takes about 2-3 hours for a 4 person game, I'm guessing you'll be looking at 4-6.
>>
>>48771343
>Might & Magic board game
... Huh.
>>
>>48790416
Don't. It's not the fantasy 4x you're hoping for.
>>
>>48759149
What I personally really don't like about Ghost Stories is the dice part, a bit too much random can fuck you up big time if you don't do the good roll at the needed time.
In fact, in kinda the same vein but simpler and less random, I think Bauza did a good job with Samurai Spirit (which is basically Ghost Stories, simple, without dices).
Plus samurai films > wushu flicks but that's just me.
>>
>>48788837
So, narrative games and dungeoncrawlers.
>Traitor mechanics
Dead of Winter, Shadows over Camelot, Battlestar Galactica
>Full coop
Eldritch Horror, Gears of War, Shadows of Brimstone, Zombicide
>2 player
Claustrophobia, Space Hulk, Mr Jack
>1 vs Many
Mansions of Madness, Descent/ Imperial Assault, Fury of Dracula, Letters from Whitechapel

I dunno which category, but [redacted] is fun
>>
>>48788157
>Also, the nerfs to enchanted violinist shakes things up. It is my least favorite way to deal with card imbalances (see l5r and AEG who did it frequently enough at the end of its life cycle.), but plaid hat did it once before with base set summoner wars, and then never again as they got their play testing and balancing shit together.

I prefer a nerf over an outright ban like WOTC always does. So he's like Saria+Aradel? Should be fun. I suspect they may end up nerfing him in the future if his aggro is that powerful. I'm surprised the bird wasn't at least a specific dice face.

I really wish Ashes got more love. It's such a great casual game with potential for tourney play but the card number just isn't high enough right now to get something like that going.
>>
>>48790580
>Redacted
Seriously underrated.
>>
>>48787263
>Semantics
I usually say there are Fixed Deck games for games like Sentinels of the Multiverse or Exceed, where there are different decks but they aren't customizable. There's Deckbuilding games, which are games like Dominion or Acension. And there's Constructed Deck games, like MTG or YGO, where you build your deck before getting to the table, but it is customizable.
>>
>>48752357
scythe looks cool as hell as a setting
>>
>>48790580
Mansions also recently got a 2nd edition which is 4(5?) vs phone app. Someone commented on it upthread.

>>48790994
I think Jamey mentioned that the artist got some offers of some sort for the setting too, here's to hoping whatever comes out of it is good.
>>
>>48791218
Yeah Jakub did a sneak teaser of the setting, that looked very much like Scythe, for a secret new project. I reckon it'll be vidya personally.

STEEV, did you get your Captain Sonar and if so have you tried it yet? I thought I saw it was released.
>>
>>48791470
>Captain Sonar

This game looks like fun but everyone says either play with 8p or don't bother and I don't have a consistent 8p group. I'm getting annoyed at how many party games don't fucking scale down below 5-6p. I'll play if someone else brings it but I'm not spending money on something that's going to mainly collect dust while Codenames can played even with 2.
>>
>>48787263
>>48790931
Thank you - sound and easily understood explanations are a good thing. I'll be able to use those to help my friends who are new to gaming better understand what's out there.

Greatly appreciated.
>>
Got in two plays of Scythe last night. Unfortunately only had three players for it, but everyone loved it. I have the upgraded stuff from the kickstarter which kind of wowed everyone with the just superb quality of all the art and pieces. But we all loved it.

Not trying to be cult of the new, but the two best games in my collection in terms of how much fun they are is Millennium Blades and Scythe.
>>
Is this an ok place to ask for recommendations?
If so, in the recent past, I've enjoyed:
Agricola - fun but it feels like it drags after a while
Love Letter - Very fun and conveniently short
Dominion - Fun, but for some reason, whenever I play it with new people, it seems like it takes an unreasonably long time for them to understand the game, and I often play with people who refuse to read rules
Forbidden Island - Really fun... for like three games, but it feels like it gets exhausted really quickly.
Carcasonne - It's about the only kinda strategy game I can play where new players are competitive with me... probably because there is a big luck element to it.

The list of games I find mediocre and not good at all, I don't feel like listing, but from that list, is it possible to get a recommendation?
>>
>>48790580
replying late, but thanks for the list of games to look through. i havent got through them all, but a few so far definitely look up my alley
>>
>>48792288
>Is this an ok place to ask for recommendations?
Hell yes! And you get bonus points for giving us a clue about what you like and what your gaming group is willing to try / able to play. This makes it a lot easier for other folks here to give you some decent suggestions.

I like Carcasonne too. You might also check out Castles of Burgundy, and Stone Age - they involve a bit of luck, but also reward strategic play too.

As for Love Letter (short and sweet) - there's: Coup, The Resistance, Hanabi, Sushi Go, Dixit and Code Names that are all 'lite / party' style games that are easy to teach.

Dominion is a 'drafting / deck builder' style card game and it does take a while for folks to understand both the mechanics *AND* the meta (what to buy and when to buy it) in that game. There are plenty of other games in that same vein, it's just a matter of finding one with the theme and overall mechanics that appeal to you and your fellow players. (Dominion never really grabbed me either - I'll play it with folks who's company I enjoy, but it isn't a game I'd ever buy for my personal collection). Other 'deck builders' / drafting mechanics games you might look at: Star Realms, Arctic Scavengers, 7 Wonders (and 7 Wonders Duel which is 2 player), Eminent Domain, are but a few of the well known choices.

The tough one is Agricola (an 'economic engine' building Euro game) - some folks love it, others find it too dry. Many will suggest Caverna as an alternate. You might look at Puerto Rico, and Terra Mystica as well. (There's also T'zolkin but it has a decidedly Aztec flavor and some odd mechanics to it - it uses a board with a gear system on it.)

Hope that helps.
>>
>>48792288
So, medium length, easy to teach euros?
Stone Age, Ticket to Ride, Five Tribes, Seven Wonders, Alhambra, Splendor
>>
>>48792675
>>48792693
Thanks, I'll research some of these, and see what the FLGS near me has. I walked into the store yesterday and browsed a bit mindlessly, but then I didn't know what to get; didn't want to invest in another dust gatherer, but my lizard brain was totally being pinged by the games that came in pretty boxes with nice art... but nice art doesn't always immediately mean good game of course.
>>
>>48792765
The pastebin file has some suggestions for game reviewers - YMMV as to which you like and don't like, but you can check out their views on various games by searching for them and/or the games on Youtube.

http://pastebin.com/PkAVzU3T
>>
File: SOON.png (3KB, 209x54px) Image search: [Google]
SOON.png
3KB, 209x54px
>>48791470
Don't know how quickly I'll get together an 8p game, but hopefully within the next week or two.
>>
Opinions on Broom Service?
Alea games haven't disappointed thus far, considering getting it soon,
>>
File: Deliv.jpg (11KB, 200x65px) Image search: [Google]
Deliv.jpg
11KB, 200x65px
>>48793290
Dayum! More games?!? Crack addict...
>>
/r/ing /bgg/ recommendation image
>>
>>48793946
>Opinions on Broom Service?

I really liked it. It wasn't on BGG's Gencon or Essen hype thread for 2015 but still is in the top 500. It combines pick-up-and-deliver with push-your-luck. I normally don't like these mechanics, but they really work well. Has a basic version that can be taught to noobs.

Plus you can watch your bros say "No, you bitch. I"M THE BRAVE WEATHER FAIRY!"
>>
File: Casual Suggestions.png (3MB, 1878x1672px) Image search: [Google]
Casual Suggestions.png
3MB, 1878x1672px
>>48798957
Which one? There's the casuals suggestions, Vidya, and /co/ I think. The /co/ is here ---> >>48761392
Vidya is here ----> >>48771343

And attached is the other Anon's casuals suggestions.
>>
>>48799755

i saw a general one earlier, /r/ing that one if possible
>>
>>48799755

Mottainai is such a cool game. Much less swingy than Chuck's other stuff. Also shorter which is always a plus for me. Except maybe with Agricola All Creatures which feels more like a game skeleton than a full game.
>>
File: reco.png (2MB, 2016x899px) Image search: [Google]
reco.png
2MB, 2016x899px
>>48800168
This one?
>>
File: @BGGsuggestions02.png (3MB, 1833x1500px) Image search: [Google]
@BGGsuggestions02.png
3MB, 1833x1500px
I have another two here
>>
File: @euros.png (659KB, 992x1240px) Image search: [Google]
@euros.png
659KB, 992x1240px
>>
>>48758313
>Tragedy Looper

Oh man, my favorite game of 2014.
>>
File: @kids rec.png (1MB, 1658x920px) Image search: [Google]
@kids rec.png
1MB, 1658x920px
>>
>>48783655

I respectfully disagree, but that's only including the WALL of knowledge you need to reach that point.

Twilight Struggle's a hard sell when there's so many obvious mistakes to make early in, and when you don't know that some cards will just "nope" and undo a turn it's a very tough sell with it's 3 hour playtime.

that said, gosh it's a beautiful game overall in design.

I confess it's also not really a game I'd ever choose to play, but that's more because there are so many other options available, and I don't always have 3 hours for a single 2 player game.
>>
>>48801248
Same Poster.

I forgot to mention that yes this game is VERY good, but not for everyone.
>>
>>48763230
Is Exceed good?
>>
>>48801075
That reminds me I gotta finish that chart tomorrow morning, finally got to playtest a couple more at Gencon I was thinking of adding.
>>
>>48801075
There are so many good games to play with kids, this chart could use an update...
Gulo Gulo, Hey, That's my Fish!, Dixit, PitchCar, Jamaica, Terror in Meeple City, Flick 'em Up, Camel Up, Spinderella, Pick a Pig/Dog, Can't Stop, 6 Nimmt Jr...
>>
How do I go about trying to rid of board games? Games I don't like, don't play, or just plain suck?
>>
>>48803346
Mathtrades
Or just try to sell them to us.
>>
>>48802728
Yeah when I was writing it I wanted to keep it from doubling up too much on the couples list, which is why some of those aren't on there. I also wanted legit games every 5 year old is going to be able to play on there, because while some kids are capable of handling adult games at that age, lots aren't. It was still just a first revision and there's lots I hadn't gotten the chance to test. Dr Eureka is gonna replace Bling Bling Gemstone I think, and My First Stone Age is great for kids so that's going on. Can't Stop will prolly get into the dice chuckers and now that Looney Quest is available in the US it's making the list. Hell I could do a chart just on Haba or Iello games, or just plain dexterity at this point, but I didn't want to flood too heavy with one type or publisher, since a good recommendation image should have more depth.

>>48803346
>Mathtrades
This; no-ship are the best if you're in a major city or going to a con anytime soon.

Also if they're shitty games, or just promos and you can't unload them anywhere else you can always try to put them up for the Vasel charity auction in Nov. Even counts as a donation against your taxes, if you bother with that sorta thing.
>>
Finally got Shadows of Brimstone on the table for the first time in over a year. Man, buying the Swamp Slugs enemy pack was a mistake. Endurance is probably the most anti-fun ability in the entire game.

I like Jason as a friend, put his weird attempts to Diablo 3 his own game just boggle the shit out of me.
>>
File: bookbooth.jpg (55KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
bookbooth.jpg
55KB, 600x448px
>>48803346

If I had to deracinate my collection all over again, I would just find micro-libraries and leave a couple of games at each.
>>
anyone know of a good horror themed game?
something thats not based on cthulhu.
oh and we've played fury of dracula already.

yeah, i know its only august but im already trying to plan a spooky themed game night for halloween. which will probably happen sometime in october, not necessarily right on halloween
>>
>>48805245
EFtAiOS.
>>
Played Mansions of Madness 2ed again today. One of my Meetup friends was nice enough to bring 1st edition, which introduced several new monsters to the game (for whatever reason it didn't use any of his map tiles though).

To preface this, I played this same scenario earlier this weekend and I was prepared to get more or less the same experience. While in the beginning the mansion layout and plot was exactly the same, it slowly developed differently in minor but meaningful ways. By midgame it was a completely new experience (thanks in part to the 1ed monsters, but the app also cleverly shuffled objectives and important rooms around). We actually had a completely different final objective, which we couldn't complete before one of us died... again.

But I had so much fun I felt compelled to do a solo run, now without the added variety of MoM 1ed pieces. This time the map layout was completely different from the first 2 playthroughs, which was both disorienting and exciting. I played through it with a completely different sense of helplessness, especially since both of my investigators became wounded and insane very quickly. I decided to ignore the first objective in attempt to mainline the final objective, but wound up just wandering around aimlessly and botching a critical puzzle attempt, which made shit go bananas.

All three plays of the same scenario each had unique set piece moments that made them unforgettable and undeniably awesome. This was undeniably a great buy

>>48793290
Briefly witnessed a 6-player game of this today before returning to my game. They were playing turn-by-turn and unfortunately not enough of them were interested enough for a real-time game after.
>>48793946
Personally love it. Lots of writhing around over your choices, groans, and schadenfreude
>>
>>48805273
Had to google that, and it looks like I'm gonna be busy printing, cutting and laminating the PnP version. Thanks anon.
>>
File: 1464989608679.png (2MB, 1277x800px) Image search: [Google]
1464989608679.png
2MB, 1277x800px
Snagged a new in box scythe collectors edition off of Craigslist for $150 in hopes to re sell for a profit. Half tempted to play it but I think I can probably make $100 from selling it right now. First time attempting to flip a game. Did I fuck up? Anybody else flip games?
>>
File: Dark Moon.jpg (43KB, 480x375px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Moon.jpg
43KB, 480x375px
>>48805245
You might try 'Dark Moon' - it isn't totally a 'horror' themed game, but the goal is to survive on a futuristic mining colony when it turns out some of your fellow co-workers have become infected with something that makes them crazy. It's been a lot of fun in our group. Game time is typically about 45 minutes with a larger group.
>>
File: Supply-n-demand.jpg (165KB, 778x461px) Image search: [Google]
Supply-n-demand.jpg
165KB, 778x461px
>>48806839
>Snagged a new in box scythe collectors edition off of Craigslist for $150 in hopes to re sell for a profit.
> First time attempting to flip a game. Did I fuck up?

Well, considering that there are copies of Scythe on Ebay for a lot less than $150, and most of us know what the words 'reprint' and 'patience' mean...

> Anybody else flip games?

Not really...
>>
>>48805245
>anyone know of a good horror themed game?
>something thats not based on cthulhu.

Kingdom Death: Monster?
>>
>>48749920
Apparently they're coming out with a Steam version of Eclipse. According to a friend of mine the iOS version is good. It'll be interesting to see if the Steam version is too.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=740498175
>>
>>48803346
If math-trades aren't your bag, just find a facebook group in your area that's dedicated to selling board games.
>>
File: PLAYER 2 HAS LEFT your life.png (149KB, 700x461px) Image search: [Google]
PLAYER 2 HAS LEFT your life.png
149KB, 700x461px
>>48749920

I'm in a dire bout of depression, /bgg/, hoping for some gaming to cheer me up -- only problem is that I'm alone.

Would you be so kind to recommend some top-tier SINGLE player games?

I already have deathangel and all it's expansions btw. Love it, but beat the shit out of it.
>>
>>48809082
Mage Knight, Robinson Crusoe, Hornet Leader.
>>
>>48809307
>Hornet Leader
I always wanted to try that and some of the other games made by those guys, but it's generally out of stock every time I looked. I'll put more effort into it.

>Robinson Crusoe
This one I haven't heard of, but seems nice.

>Mage Knight
I talked to a friend about this one, he told me it's a solid single player experience bordering on it being the best way to play the game.
>>
>>48809082
Friday
>>
>>48809082
There's a perma thread on Board Game Geek about top rated solo play games. I don't have the link handy, but it should be fairly easy to find hopefully.

2nding Robinson Crusoe, there's also Xenoshyft - though that one junk-punches me hard every time I play it.
>>
>>48808599
>>48803399
>>48803355
Do I just hang out in BGG's Mathtrade announcement thread and hope there's one near me?
>>
>>48809693
You could probably message the thread creator there and ask for some advice. Most of the threads have info & details in the first few posts that spell out how they work. I haven't done one myself, but they seem fairly straight forward.
>>
>Most of my party/small games are bluffing/lying/play cards concealed
>coup, resistance, welcome to the dungeon, skull
>gf is really bad at lying and you can be a loyal henchmen in mafia de cuba so often before it bores you

What are some small pub games in which you don't have to lie or bluff?
It can be a tiny bit bluffing (like cosmic encounter), but nothing like the examples I mentioned
>>
>>48809082
Honestly, therapy would be cheaper
>>48810003
Love Letter, Fluxx and Mijnlieff might be what you want.
>>
>>48809693
I just watch the buying/selling feed on the front page of BGG daily (good for auctions too); when there's a trade I want in on, I drop stuff in. Watch the Rahdo videos for how to post and use the OLWLG properly.
>>
>>48810003
Get a deck box and Rhino Hero, just don't play it too near the taps or ice coolers, bartenders don't like cleaning up cardboard.
>>
>>48810003
The Duke / 7 Wonders Duel for 2 player
For more than 2 players: Hanabi, Sushi Go, Once Upon a time, Saboteur & Saboteur 2, the Lost Legends series, and then there are a lot of deck builders like Star Realms and Arctic Scavengers.
>>
>go buy agricola after playing it endlessly with friends, so I can have my own copy
>Buy it, get home
>Didn't realize there's a new edition with like 1/4th the cards

I feel cheated.
>>
>>48810592
The revised edition is also cheaper and rebalanced (less OP and irrelevant occupations), so you got the right one
>>
>>48801248
that put me off too, the first time I played, I was US and put a chunk of initial influence in France, only to be headlined Gaul.

You need to play the game like 5 times before you start to understand what is a good play.
>>
>>48810676
I mean, I noticed some really OP cards are gone, but just the variety is so cut down. I feel like I got gypped so I will have to buy a lot of deck expansions in order to keep the variety as fresh as the old version
>>
>>48810728
>>48810676
Oh, not to mention the removal of the 5 player boards.
>>
>>48810728
>>48810748
At least you didn't buy the new version of Ra.
>>
>>48811898
>At least you didn't buy the new version of Ra.
That bad?
>>
>>48812685
New edition.
Same game.
Cheaper components.
Double the price.
>>
File: IMG_14471.jpg (310KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_14471.jpg
310KB, 1600x1200px
>>48812685
The Ra reprint is:
>Unnecessary changes to components
>The bidding tokens are now cheap cardboard tile instead of wooden blocks
>Ra token is now an out of place oddly red 3d sculpted plastic standee instead of wooden component that fits in with the way the bidding tiles look
>Tiles have higher quality artwork but are all dark and muddy looking and you have to look VERY CAREFULLY to make sure the tile is what you think it is doubly so with the buildings
>Instead of light, simplistic, sandstone colored curved tracks central board with scoring info plainly visible, the central board is now boring grey with grey features and grey hieroglyphics, way darker than it needs to be and it's also embossed because why?
>Way too expensive (Original RioGrande was $35 MSRP, new FFG reprint is $60 MSRP combo'd with ANA's bullshit online price fixing)

Just don't do it anon. If you wanna play Ra, get an old Rio Grande copy or just print and play.

Pic related: Old board and components.
>>
File: RA.png (576KB, 698x405px) Image search: [Google]
RA.png
576KB, 698x405px
>>48812973
And now the new board and components.

The colors are darker in person without studio lightning.
>>
>>48812988
>That scatterbrained design

It's like the money tiles, auction tiles, bidding tiles, board, boxart, and Ra token were all made by different people who were locked in separate rooms on different continents and told to design without any contact with each other.

Also
>A Game of Gods and Glory in Ancient Egypt
AHAHAHA Some poor schmuck is gonna be VERY disappointed.
>>
>>48812841
>>48812973
>>48812988
Yeah, that would be definite 'No Go' with me too. Cheaper components, 'new artwork' that actually makes it more difficult to play, and twice the price? Three reasons in one box to avoid it. Thanks for the feedback.
>>
interested in a coop or a fun two player game for my roommate and I. Familiar with board games so complexity isn't a limiting factor or length of typical game.
>>
>>48805245
A Touch of Evil might be good if your friends are super casual. It's basically a gothic horror Talisman though, so it's as Ameritrash as it gets.
>>
>>48812973
>>48812988
>>48813186
+1 to DO NOT BUY. I love the Rio Grande version, and this just looks like shit.
>>
>>48812973

I'll probably still end up buying this because Ra is awesome and the old version is so expensive.
>>
Question about Twilight Struggle, if it's discarded by some means, is it not given to the opposing player?
>>
>>48814103
Just print and play if you have to. Or order a custom deck of cards online for the tile bag.
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/publish/product/PokerDeck

The BGG market has a few second hand copies for about $50. Sure with shipping you're paying about the same, but why would you give FF/ANA your money ever?

https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/browse?objecttype=thing&objectid=12

Actually I think I might print a travel copy of Ra. I have the original Rio Grande version (with a missing sun block somehow) but it being able to compress it into a deckbox is pretty attractive.
>>
>>48815248
>FF/ANA
ANA?
>>
>>48814103
>>48815248
Seconding
$60 is waaaaaay overpriced for what's in the box.
Fuck ANA, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to create a RIAA-like scenario to crack down on copyright infringement.
>>
>>48815349
Fantasy Flight/Asmodee North America
Y'know, the french fuckers that own about 60% of the current boardgame market.
>>
>>48814682
>it
>not saying what "it" is
did you have a brain fart of some kind? Do you mean the China Card?

If I remember correctly the China Card can't be discarded.
>>
>>48815463
>Asmodee North America
Never heard it called that. Just heard it as Asmodee.
>>
>>48815579
Yeah, I'm dumb. I meant the china card. I don't see the non-discard text anywhere on the card.
>>
>>48815643
Because you don't discard it. Anytime you use it for its Ops value, it gets handed to your opponent face-down until the end of the turn.
>>
>>48815685
Right, but say for some reason it gets thrown away by "Ask not what you can do for your country", or spaced, or some other discard method?
>>
>>48815735
From the current living rules on GMT's site:
>9.5 ‘The China Card’ may not be played:
>• during the Headline Phase,
>• if it prevents the play of a Scoring card, or
>• as a discard required by an Event.
>>
>>48815848
Ah, okay. Thank you.
>>
>>48815434
>try to create a RIAA-like scenario to crack down on copyright infringement
This has already been on the legal chopping block when a chinese company copied a game's mechanisms with a different theme.

Court's ruled you can't own mechanisms or gameplay, but you can own words and IPs.

So you can legally make and sell an exact replica of Chaos in the Old World so long as you use a completely new theme, dressing, and wording of all the rules and such.

That's why Wizards of the Coast on the word 'tapping' in regards to turning a card sideways to denote it being used, but they don't own the action 'turn the card sideways to denote it's been used'.
>>
>>48816228
>Mayhem in the Ancient Motherland
Slavs (Nurgle), Huns (Khorne), Ottomans (Slaanesh) and Romani (Tzeentch) duking it out in the balkans.
>>
>>48815590
It's the local corporate branch.
>>
>>48817087
>chaos in the Mediterranean world
Decadent Rome would make for an excellent slaanesh
Greeks for tzeench
Persians for nurgle
Gauls for khorne

>top kek at Slav=nurgle
>>
Anyone know any good strategy games for groups of 2+?

Looking at Kemet.

Also, I know people are always looking for gears of war here, my FLGS has a dinged/used copy going for $80 if anyone is interested. But it's in canada so shipping may come from the nose.
>>
>>48819308
Get kemet, virtually impossible to go wrong with that game as long as your playgroup size lies in the 2-5 range.
>>
>>48819357
Thanks Steev, you're the real MVP.

I'd mail you a beer if it was possible to do so without spillage.
>>
>>48819222
Nah, you gotta look at gameplay/story integration before superficial parallels.
Nurgle likes staying in one place and holding territories, and the other factions can be all over the place.
Make the "populous" territories North Italy, Gaul, England, and Mauretania, and Rome just likes sitting there controlling it.
>>
>>48819396
Paypal some money and I'll Prime him some buhr.
>>
>>48819397
Would greeks still work as tzeench then? Colonies all over the place fits their teleporting ways, and heavy focus on knowledge=power..
>>
>>48806839
>Anybody else flip games?

Fuck no. They lose so much value the second you open the shrink. When I trade or sell it's because I don't want it anymore.

>>48816228
>So you can legally make and sell an exact replica of Chaos in the Old World so long as you use a completely new theme, dressing, and wording of all the rules and such.

I think there was some Narnia game that was a blatant ripoff of Battle Line. It got hate-rated pretty low. I think tinkering with mechanics and theme is fine, but nobody respects obvious plagiarism.
>>
>>48819678
>nobody respects obvious plagiarism
except when it's david sirlin. Penny Arcade could not stop sucking that man's dick for a while.
>>
>>48819694
>david sirlin. Penny Arcade could not stop sucking that man's dick for a while.

I stopped paying attention to PA years ago but I believe it. They don't have the best taste and it may explain why his fan base thinks his games are better than they are.

If you want Yomi, play BattleCon instead. If you want Puzzle Strike, play the Dominion mod that it's ripped off from instead of buying 3 editions of the same game. If you want Pandante, play poker. Board gamers are generally a nice bunch but Sirlin is one of the few names that will guaranteed start an argument.
>>
>>48820168
I was thinking on how flash duel straight up rips the mechanics from another sword dueling themed card game that tycho loved shilling, but i concur with all the other points.

This is the guy who tried to convince people chess 2.0 was necessary, and he would be the one to bring it into a new golden age.

Never mind the dozens of "chess variant" computer games and alt versions people have been making since time immemorial
>>
The Cthulhu Wars guys are launching a KS tomorrow based off Glorantha. Looks interesting, does anyone here know the setting well enough?

Thegodswar.info
>>
How is Her Majesty's Service?
>>
>>48758874
Does your gf like to play games before or did you get her into it? I really wanna try more board games but my gf is more party games kind of person. She really loves flux but was alittle less so on multi hour games. We played deception murder in Hong Kong with my family and that was a more mixed bag so I'm wonder if there's any I should start with
>>
>>48819600
Yeah. Maybe we could go the Pendragon route and separate the Roman military from the Roman civitates, Nurgle would fit the military, Slaanesh the civitates, Tzeench the Greeks, and Khorne the barbaroi.
>>
Is Dark Souls worth it? I noticed that they are still accepting late pledges to get all stretch goal bonuses.
its around $100 though.
>>
>>48822461
Miniatures are cool.
Consensus is game is lacking. You can learn the boss' script, so beating them is reduced to mechanical repetition every time.
>>
>>48822668
I'm seriously considering asking for my money back.
Probably lost 10% of it from the fucking Brexit crash too.
>>
>>48822805
>I'm seriously considering asking for my money back.

pretty sure you can make a profit by reselling the game + stretch goals when it comes out.

I did that with B-Sieged. ended up selling it for $170. probably could have gotten more but felt it was good enough.
>>
>>48822992
I'll definitely make a profit, but the game coming out seems a little more dicey now than it did.
>>
>>48822668
>>48822805
>>48822461
If it makes any difference to folks, precisely because of Dark Souls I checked out their other game Guild Ball and discovered that it is literally the best miniatures game in production. That game got me hard -- I'm at 4 teams and am considering buying a 5th.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that they've got design chops. Guild Ball is 10/10 material; if even half their talent is put to use on Dark Souls then it may end up quite excellent as well.
>>
>>48823056
>Guild Ball is 10/10 material; if even half their talent is put to use on Dark Souls then it may end up quite excellent as well.
The problem is that the game is obviously a cheap cash-in, and since the cost obviously isn't being cut from components it's being cut from development.
>>
File: pic1461051_md[1].jpg (96KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
pic1461051_md[1].jpg
96KB, 500x333px
I recently played Seasons loved it. Of all the things I liked about it, 1 thing I liked that I actually find rare in board games is that it made just as much sense with 2 players as with 4. It gives it flexibility and thus way more value as a game with my inconsistent group. Meanwhile a game I bought recently, Rebellion, was clearly made for 2 players and has the shittiest excuse to drag in a 3rd and 4th player I've ever seen. It disappointed me more than I'd have thought.

It's a weird criteria, but any games you can think of that actually support a variety of group sizes?
>>
>>48823091

I watched a gameplay video and the mechanics looked decent enough.

I didnt back the game because I'm not into dark souls, but it might be guud.
>>
>>48823219
Kemet is pretty much the go-to answer for a board game that supports variable player counts amazingly well.
>>
>>48823091
>>48823679
The base mechanics looked promising but had me worried in a "is that it?" way back during their kickstarter video. I did however back it and have been following the news and it looks very promising. They've addressed lots of the blanks like equipment or actual level progression that were very vaguely to not touched on at all in the original reveal. I still don't know ultimately how well it will play and won't know until it officially comes out, but they seem to have a good head on their shoulders for this. What I ultimately want them to deliver is a dungeon crawler with good production values, a moderate amount of depth in combat, and a modest playtime. They've been hitting all those points pretty well.
>>
>>48820725
She never played table top stuff before me. She loves Co op because she doesn't feel pressured to be on the same strategic level as me. Her favorite game is eldritch horror
>>
>>48822668
>You can learn the boss' script, so beating them is reduced to mechanical repetition every time.
You learn is pattern but people dumb it down too much saying you're invincible at this point. There is a lot going on with the attacks and you half the time won't have a blind spot to stand in like people think. You won't have infinite resources just staying on defense and have to take some action even while learning the boss pattern. Especially once all the character building, equipment, and abilities are in place, there's going to be a lot to a battle.

I'm not saying it's guaranteed perfect or anything and I have my concerns, but they've been pretty on their game making this. One of my biggest worries, dodging attacks only reducing damage, was actually changed since those original videos.

>>48823091
Why is it a cheap cash in? They're building it in the same time frame they built Guild Ball. Brexit and all, they're still way over budget and outside of production models for expansions that might be delayed, they didn't particularly over promise with their stretch goals in any way that would road block development.
>>
Latest GMT update:

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/GMT-Update--August-15--2016---New-P500s--Production-Update--General-News.html?soid=1103480314715&aid=YQnqcdzKaBI

Pretty hyped about the addition of Imperial Struggle (same designers as Twilight Struggle!), and perhaps also Bayonets&Tomahawks to the P500 list.
>>
>>48807502
He said "collector's edition", anon....
>>
>>48824587
Yes, the hyped up verbiage definitely makes it worth the additional $85 for the exact same 5 cards. Doubtless that kind of 'marketing genius' will make "tens of dollars" over a decades long 'career'.
>>
>>48823894
>They've addressed lots of the blanks [...] that were very vaguely to not touched on at all in the original reveal.

Clever tactic.

>Smash hit vidya
>Get IP license to translate vidya to bordgaem
>Use fanboy's dosh to maybe make it happen
>Come up with barebones, barely functioning system
>Produce pretty miniatures line to convince people to all-in on the trainwreck
>Still make a fuckton of cash
>Extract feedback
>Fans flesh out and polish the rules to their liking

Why work, when you can also crowdsource the game design and mechanics?
>>
>>48825238
If it gets me a good game, then it was worth it.
>>
Does /bgg/ use Tabletop Simulator at all? I know it's a lot more awkward and often less immersive/high quality than physical, but I see it being useful for getting to try games if you don't have groups to play with or as a "try before you buy" sort of thing.

I ask partly as a board game newb with that first issue, I'd like to try some stuff out with /tg/ if the option's there, since public groups are hard to find on TTS for anything except the likes of Secret Hitler or Epic Spell Wars.
>>
Why am I so bad at twilight struggle? How do I get better?
>>
>>48826291
Play more. There's a version out on both Steam and iPad. Learn the cards.

Also read everything on this site: http://www.twilightstrategy.com
>>
>>48826348
I just feel like the USSR is destined to lose, earliest you can end the game is turn 8, and by then the US has had amazing cards destroy everything you've contested.
>>
>>48826412
Among competitive circles, I understand USSR is actually slightly favored, to the point it's fairly normal to bid for that side.
>>
>>48826457
I'm pretty sure that's just due to the prescence of war games though, isn't it? Basically the USSR can either close the game early on, or can hold on with a 7 point lead till wargames is out, so it has 2 chances to win, whereas the US is only favoured in the final scoring.
>>
>>48826477
If that's their whole strategy (get 7+ pts and wait for Wargames), then they deserve to lose.
>>
>>48826571
What should the USSR do then, really? Late war cards for the US basically roll over them in Europe, and Voice of America can easily cut them out of key places in final scoring.
>>
>>48826589
Play a strong Early/Mid war. This will mute the US's response Late, and there are plenty of opportunities to do this. Go read that website I linked. It has a lot of good strategy information.
>>
>>48825849
I have it but have hardly used it. Played a game of eldritch horror on it and it worked out pretty well. I just don't have a real need for it since I'm able to get people around weekly in person for games.
>>
>>48823219
>It's a weird criteria, but any games you can think of that actually support a variety of group sizes?

Codenames scales incredibly well. From 2 to 8 really easily. Probably more but I've never played with more than 6.
>>
>>48820725
If you guys are ok with just murdering each other you might try Survive, it works for me with more casual gamers, though my memory is shit when placing the meeples. Enough luck of the draw with tiles and the monster die that even with good strategy you can lose, and even if you get more of your guys to safety if they're all 1-2s and your opponent gets their bigs off they have a good shot at winning. You do have to be ok with just screwing the other person over from the first turn tho, which lots of co-op players aren't good with.

Alternatively go the dexterity route, there's a reason Terror in Meeple City is on the wife's rec picture, and it's not because it's my favorite game.
>>
>>48825238
You've gone from speculating how the game might fail to a conspiracy theory over how the devs might actively be putting effort into intentionally trying to fail. Maybe I'm not jaded enough for this, but I think the devs are going to try to make a good game. Just saying.
>>
>>48827359

I've played Codenames with 10 and it seemed just fine. I probably wouldn't go higher than 10 for Codenames though.
>>
>>48823219
Dice Tower just did a top 10 on this a couple months back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf7RtQUVzr0
>>
>>48828312
I'm just being facetious because it's entertaining.
I am a cynic, but I don't doubt the dev's intentions of Darks Souls being actually good and them putting effort into it or whatever. I'm actually glad they listen to their consumers.
>>
File: 1416780437307.jpg (152KB, 1520x1520px) Image search: [Google]
1416780437307.jpg
152KB, 1520x1520px
>>48829013
>Dice Tower
>>
>>48829240

What's wrong with Dice Tower? Their format is straightforward and all their tastes are obvious. Sam is the weakest link but otherwise they're solid reviewers.

Definitely better than Drivethru Reviews or Board Game Brawl (super boring and rambling) or SUSD (if you're not laughing from the second you open the box, game sux).
>>
Is Galaxy Trucker fun? I've heard it's chaotic to a point of you could have the entire game ruined for you by unanticipated random chance, but I really really like the concept and look of the game.
>>
>>48830505
It is fun, if you like suffering, seeing your lovingly assembled ship blasted to bits and your crew taken by slavers.
Luck often does wreck everyone's plans, but that's kind of the game's appeal too. Schadenfreude makes up a great deal of its enjoyability.
Moderate tolerance to frustration is required.
>>
>>48830839
There are a few play throughs floating around the web if you want to see what it plays like.
>>
>>48830505
>Galaxy Trucker

It's fun the first few times but is overrated. It's funny to make a bizarre and barely functional ship the first few times but wears out its humor after a few playthroughs. The part with the asteroids feels too random and I got tired of my plans and ship being destroyed.

There's not a lot of games like it so you should play it but definitely try before you buy.
>>
>>48788294
Played it, liked it. Not enough to buy it but it was just released then.
I remember that it was a frustrating game, that it seems nice but you can really be a dick and provoke starvations for other players. I remember that I lost because I was a dick and provoked said starvation but did not want to be a massive dick and provoke a second one. I would not refuse a game if someone would propose it.
>>
>>48829315
>Sam is the weakest link
A-fucking-men. I skip his reviews because I got tired of the huffing and heavy breathing and meandering, way too long rules explainations of Mr TI3 (Titanic Immenseness) and he's always the most bullheaded and unreasonable one of the lot when it comes to discussions. And it's not funny or endearing when he always shoots down people issues and dislikes as 'hyperbole' when he himself uses massive amount of hyperbole in most of his arguments and sounds like a child in so many of the disagreements they have.
>>
>>48830505
It's well designed, and lots of fun, but the game's two halves are almost schizophrenic in how they play out and people respond to them. The biggest problem though, is the one that people never mention. It's expensive, almost stupidly so.

Retail this is a $75 game; granted it's loads of player mats, oodles of chipboard, and plastic and wooden pieces, plus card. It's still a LOT to pay for a game that is so polarizing you're not gonna get it to the table often unless everyone's a big fan.

CGE also basically killed this game all on their own, by developing the app version. It's just as enraging, but has the cardboard game beaten by a longshot with the addition of the campaign mode. Missions give you an idea "this is what you're going to face, build your ship accordingly", meaning you have a chance. It's a game that has strategy now instead of building as fast as you can and hoping for the best. If you ever pumped quarters into some insta-kill game, or played the NES ports (fuck you Ghosts and Goblins) you know how addicting this can be. There's a way to win, and they give you hints, you just have to execute.

In 2015 they realized how great a job they'd done with the app and put out an expansion for the cardboard edition with just missions added, it basically makes Galaxy Trucker a game I could see hitting the table once or twice a month on game nights. The downside, this means I'd have to drop at least $70 (at CSI) or over $100 retail to make it a game that 4 people would want to play that often. If I want to get my usual table playing, which is 5 people, I have to drop another $40-60 for a big expansion. I like the game, and I love the app, but that price isn't going to work. Pay the $5 and get it for your phone/tablet, and buy other games with the $50 saved.
>>
After playing star realms on my phone I'm looking to get into drafting games.
What would you recommend tg? Plain old dominion?
>>
>>48832336
My sentiment exactly.
Having the app on my phone greatly bumped Galaxy Truckers down on my wishlist.
I'd still get a cheap secondhand or a heavily discounted new copy.
>>
>>48832772

Ditto. The app showed how shallow the gameplay actually is. Not a game that has help up over the years.
>>
>>48832772
Yeah I'd get it in a lopsided math trade, or maybe if I could get a used copy for like $30ish, but there's so many good games out there that'll get more playtime; and there's already a big problem in our hobby with compulsive overspending, I can't recommend Galaxy Trucker.

Sidenote: the wife just caught me writing that up, and now she's asking me how often I'm going to buy anything X-wing at more than 50% off now that she let my sister buy me a core set.
>>
How the fuck is pandemic legacy number 1 on board game geek?

It's fun, sure, but it just feels like such a flash in the pan sort of thing. No one I know who bought it plays it anymore, they end up playing pandemic+ITL+OTB far more often, making sure to mention to me if season 2 comes out they'll play that, but otherwise they're pretty much done with Season 1.
>>
>>48833107
>and there's already a big problem in our hobby with compulsive overspending, I can't recommend Galaxy Trucker.

It seems like any type of gaming has that problem. Look at all the people spending money on Steam sales for games they'll never play to add to their collection of unplayed games. And let's not get into the collectible card or miniatures segment.

One of the benefits of board gaming is that because this shit takes up physical space, sometimes a lot, I'm a lot pickier about what I buy since I'm not a compulsive hoarder.
>>
>>48833160
You clearly never saw the Risk Legacy threads.

Legacy games create a special kind of retard that will browbeat you until you accept Legacy games are A number one.
>>
>>48833232
>>48833160
What's a legacy board game? I'm just getting into the hobby.
>>
>>48833221
True, and consoles with DLC on everything, and classic games ported/emulated and charging a couple bucks each leads to more collecting there. I sometimes think the recession was a good thing, made me have to put all my energy/money into my business and watch every penny spent.

The real key is to use all that compulsive behavior that gaming encourages, and put it towards tracking prices for months before making a buy; or foamcore up some inserts, get painting, grab chipboard and art off the interwebz so you can make boards for modular games, make a playmat, read forums endlessly....
>>
>>48833232
But why? It just makes no sense to me. Like, Pandemic Legacy is okay, but it is no where NEAR as good as say, Twilight Struggle or Agricola or a million other games.
>>
>>48832718

I kind of view Dominion more as a deckbuilder type game than a drafting game but that is just personal opinion.

Despite that if you really want a good drafting game look into 7 Wonders. It's really good at accomodating up to 7 players, easy to learn and you can smash a game out really quickly if you want to pass the time. Don't play it 2 players though because it's kinda poor to play it with 2, for that you want 7 Wonders: DUEL.
>>
>>48833616
Not that guy, but can you try to explain to me the point of drafting games? I don't mind drafting hands of cards in other games (my group always drafts agricola for example), but I just feel like it's a side thing, and that as a main game it feels lacking.

I'm probably one of the few people who hate 7 wonders.
>>
>>48761392
Has anyone played witness? It seems like a lot fun
>>
>>48833471
Because (at least in risk legacy) you can name your city "Poo Land" or "Fartville" and that's absolutely hilarious and amazing.

Didn't you know?
>>
>>48833387

A legacy type board game is a board game where as you keep playing the board state changes permanent and keeps changing through multiple plays like a "campaign mode" of sorts. Stickers will change certain things on the map, some people will have more or less of something and in some cases some cards are meant to be destroyed(literally speaking they are being destroyed as in ripped up/burnt/whatever method of destruction) when used or not thereby making that card unavailable in later missions or so.

More or less you're going to get one campaign playthrough out of it so It's not something I recommend you just break open on a casual whim unless you have a solid group to keep playing it. I personally don't like blowing up my board games after playing them but each to their own. It's really good though if you get multiple people to all chip in a bit so the costs are evenly shared and it can be great fun.
>>
>>48833734
I plan on getting Pandemic Legacy, but the whole "destroy your investment when you're done" turns me off. I'll probably just proxy everything that needs to be destroyed, use removable stickers instead of writing on the board and save the originals for future campaign replays
>>
>>48833661

>I'm probably one of the few people who hate 7 wonders.

I'm actually surprised to hear that there's people like you who don't like the game.

I actually play Booster Draft quite a fair amount in Magic the Gathering so drafting is something I really like to do though the difference between MTG and 7 wonders is that i'm not trying to build a deck to play afterwards in 7 wonders.

So the appeal in 7 wonders drafting is kind of correlating to my love of drafting in MTG but also that theres so many viable strategies in the game and cunning tactical plays you can do to try and maximise your points. I see the civilizations my neighbours have, I see the resources and cards that I need and then I see the cards that are given to me. Sometimes I may pass on a card early in a lower player count game because I know there's a high chance that the card can wheel back around to me and I can pick it up but in a higher player count game I'll have to carefully consider whether i'll ever see this card again. So basically sometimes I have to gauge and see whether or not I should pick a card to deny my neighbours access to a resource they need for building or not. Maybe I might go resource heavy one game but another I might go resource light but focus entirely on constructing buildings for free through a building chain.

So in a nutshell I guess my love of booster draft in MTG leads me to liking drafting games.
>>
>>48833995
Well I love drafting in MtG, too, but the whole point to me is then I get to PLAY after. I just feel like drafting alone is too bare bones. Like, it would be like doing a worker placement game where you just place for pure VPs. It should be one mechanic in the game, not the entire game.
>>
>>48833941

Make sure you have a solid group that can show up for each session otherwise you'll have blown a big chunk of money on a game that ended up going nowhere. I understand where you're coming from since I too don't like destroying a game I just bought.

If you want a "campaign" style game where you don't have to destroy the board(but you'll more or less play each scenario once off since you've figured out the mission) you can look into T.I.M.E Stories. Each expansion you buy will reuse components of the original game but set you up in different situations.
>>
>>48834095
That's what people like about 7 Wonders; it's pure, distilled drafting. You don't have to sit through a bad combat round due to drafting badly like Blood Bowl or Lost Legends, just pick a better next card.
>>
>>48834095

Well there's expansions like Babel and Cities that also change up the game little bit on what you're going to draft for.

>Like, it would be like doing a worker placement game where you just place for pure VPs

I'm sure those games probably exist in some form or manner. You're not always taking cards in 7 wonders purely for VP's (except maybe the blue cards but even then they'll either have an associated resource cost or benefit) but maybe you're taking cards trying to build up towards your Wonders or other building chains and maybe guilds in the late stage. Or maybe like in MTG a colour is open like say the science cards and you just start taking them like crazy.

I do understand where you're coming from though, I think what you want is a drafting game where you're interacting with players while drafting or after the drafting phase so to speak. There's a few games like that if you want though(Rococo, Star Realms etc.) But with 7 wonders it's just the pure strategy element of the draft that you just have to deal with and only that.
>>
File: pic1116080_md[1].jpg (126KB, 394x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic1116080_md[1].jpg
126KB, 394x500px
>>48834095
>Like, it would be like doing a worker placement game where you just place for pure VPs.
Currently #41 overall on BGG.
I hate those fuckers sometimes.
>>
>>48833232

To be fair, if Legacy mechanics can make fucking Risk fun and interesting, there is obviously something to the idea.
>>
>>48834811
But that's wrong, you fucking retard.
>>
>>48835491
It's only a single step from wrong unless you're using the expansion.
>>
>>48835223
Yeah, something for the publishers.

>Wait, you're telling me we can take a product with nigh infinite reuse potential, and make it a one and done?
>And we can still charge a lot of money?
>>
>>48834811

To be fair, that's because every resource in that game eventually counts towards VP total at the end of the game. That's not entirely unheard of in most games either.
>>
Thoughts on Dragon Dice? also is that game still being produced or not?
>>
>>48836305
Anyone backed The Gods War on kickstarter?

looks kinda neat but $125 is a pretty steep price for the game. im pretty sure its expensive because of those miniatures.
Ive never played a Sandy Petersen game before. are they actually good?

i noticed he also did Cthulhu wars but i heard that game was pretty mediocre and that game cost $200.
>>
>>48749920
What non-gaming friends?

Sure, people getting a bit to sour and salty not handling losing and so, but we hendle it quite well. Nothing major.

In a calm and sensible way. I explain game mechanics almost daily as it's part of my work day.
>>
>>48836804
>$125
You mean $450 + $55 shipping?

>>48834811
BGGs rating system is all f'ed up at the moment though after they changed it so old ratings gets ignored.
>>
>>48835924
so are most worker placements desu.
>>
>>48832718
Dominion is Deck-Building not Drafting. Drafting would be games like 7 Wonders, 7 Wonders Duel, Sushi Go, Between two cities, Among the stars. If you want a game that starts with drafting but still has all the game play left after that then check out Seasons.
>>
>>48836804
Cthulhu wars is actually pretty solid, would be a very good recommendation if it cost anywhere close to the same as its nearest competitiors.
>>
>>48836804
I thought the general consensus was the Cthulu Wars was good, but for the same price you could get two copies of Chaos in the Old World which is just as good.
>>
File: Screenshot_41.png (6KB, 251x146px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_41.png
6KB, 251x146px
>>48837513
>You mean $450 + $55 shipping?

thats if you want all those books as well.
>>
>>48837606
And expansions, all the expansions - Empires, Elder Races, Monsters, Buildings. Which are not included in the first one and comes to over $450 alone.
>>
>>48837568
>love drafting, love the easy and almost carefree nature of drafting seven wonders
>want to give sushi go a try, but curious if there are any other drafting games out there
>between two cities/among the stars both involve tile placing elements.
>i just want to draft and score points

Damnit, why is this genre so under utilized, and why are pure versions of "pick and pass till you puke" so rare?
>>
>>48837674
those are just expansions though. not required.
>>
>>48837712
It's weird.
Dominion is one thing (deck building) and does it so well that for years deckbuilders were called (and were, desu) Dominion clones.
7 Wonders is one thing (drafting) and does it so well that people are afraid of making "Might As Well Just Play 7 Wonders:The Game."
>>
>>48837761
I'm always wary because games which come out with expansions usually all but require the expansion to be playable.
Blood Rage is so boring without the God dudes.
>>
>>48837790
Oh, i know about the dominon era, it hit right as i was getting into hobby. But 7 wonders still has elements that stray away from a pure draft and play/score. With the resources, money, wonder, and war phase, I would have a hard time naming another game that just succinctly offers a drafting experience "just another 7 wonders".

Sigh, guess I will just get sushi go and hope for the best.
>>
>>48837850
I get the former two, but the latter two are just a method of scoring through red cards like green or blue, and the wonder building is a fantastic release valve; "I don't want that cocksucker ahead of me getting this card, but I don't want it and want something potentially more powerful than cash."
>>
>>48837850
Apparently there's a slightly more robust version of sushi-go on the horizon, might want to hold off to see what that one has to offer.
>>
>>48836207

Oh, give me a fucking break.

1. Many/most board gamers own lots of games that will never - NEVER - see their tenth play

2. Board gaming is one of the cheapest hobbies or interests in existence. You can barely buy a tank of gas for the price of most 7+/10 games. Forget normie hobbies - anything masculine is wildly out of the question. If you can't stomach the cost of $5/play spread amongst three to five people, I just don't even know what to say to you.
>>
>>48837712
Medieval Academy, it's in between Sushi Go and 7 Wonders for weight; simple draft cards, play them, get points based off your position on tracks. I think it's replaced 7 Wonders on my wish list because it'll be easier to play with non-gamers and casual friends.
>>
>>48838346
>Legacy internet defense force wakes up.
>>
>>48838375

It's called common sense.
The people with actual jobs and families worth spending time with have a bit of free time about now.
>>
>>48837966
Yes, should be out around Essen.
>>
>>48838399
>Projecting this hard.
My sides.

You're getting some mileage today chuckles.
>>
>>48838611

You don't seem to actually know what "projecting" means...
>>
>>48837513
>BGGs rating system is all f'ed up at the moment though after they changed it so old ratings gets ignored.

Wait. How old? I have ratings there from 7 years ago that are still valid even though I haven't bothered to update them because why the fuck would you? I'm still active on the site and rating games, so is it buy rating date or active user date?
>>
>>48838678
Try again.

Apply yourself this time.
>>
>>48838799

Too late. I tore up the caring card.
>>
>>48838816
Nice.

I understand that reference.
>>
>>48838747
I read that they're playing around with the rating system, it's been all messed up for a little while now. Not sure what they're doing with it.
>>
>>48809307
>Hornet Leader
Is there a reason mechanics wise to go with Hornet Leader instead of Thunderbolt Apache Leader? I have a boner for combat helicopters, so because of that I'm more interested Thunderbolt Apache Leader.
>>
>>48839361

Their rating system isn't bad - adding a number of 5.5 dummy votes to balance out obvious shills or people who hate the game because of some dumb reason. But the effect is too strong - it pulls games so hard to the middle (rating of 5.5) that only games that are widely played end up at the very top or the very bottom. Somebody did some stats work and showed that once a game has ~500 votes, it's ranking stabilizes but before that, it's pulled too hard by the dummy variables to rise high or sink low.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/210073/analyzing-bgg-ranking-system-good-bad-and-graphick

I still find using the rankings useful - anything above 1200 (top 10%) is usually OK to great, 1200-3000 is 50-50 good/bad and anything below 3000 has never gotten higher than a 7 from me unless it's a reprint/different version of another game higher on the list.
>>
>>48839565
I have no real complaints, good games get good stats, popular games get good stats (good or not), it all equals out well though and most already know if they like the already popular games, new people will probably want to play them any way and the veterans know to not get tricked by them. It works. It's just ratings.
>>
The biggest problem with the BGG ranking system is that you can actually vote for games that aren't even out yet.
>>
>>48840364
im not sure if its the same thing youre talking about since im fairly new to BGG but usually when i look at kickstarter games, people give the game a "10" just for saying they backed the game.
and those games tend to be like a 9.0 or so just because lots of people posted "reviews" like that.
>>
>>48840364
Yup, though I'd argue "balance" ratings are worse, but I guess those often come about due to kickstarter votes.
>>
>>48832336
Thanks. I'm considering getting it and missions now. The 2 parts of gameplay both seem like fun for at least my friend and I, and the only element I want is even a small hint of what we might encounter, so missions seems like a really good idea.

One last question: does it scale well? Is much of the fun lost going between 4 and 2 players?
>>
>>48832718
Sorry I meant deck building not drafting my bad.
>>
>>48837712
Consider looking into Nevermore if you like pure drafting and a lot of direct player interaction
>>
>>48840991
You're allowed to check like 3/4ths of the encounter deck while you're building a ship, so there's that. I'm still proud of my cruise ship that had 16 tourists who were looking to have adventures in space and were promptly used to appease slavers or forced to explore/drag abandoned space ships/stations back home.

As for scaling, the only difference would probably be the amount of tiles available to you would be more with only 2 players, since there would be less hands stealing parts you might need.
>>
File: P8170009.jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
P8170009.jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
Just came back from Japan with these board games. Feels good buying out of print/hipster games
>>
>>48838346
Asmodee plz go
>>
>>48840991
I dunno if I should be happy you know what you're getting into or sad I couldn't save you from yourself. It scales fine though, so don't worry about that, I'd say it's better at 3-4 than at 2, because you have more competition for tiles so it's maybe just a tiny bit harder to build perfectly.

>>48842810
>no giant Rhino Hero
You had one job
>>
File: P6120774.jpg (1MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
P6120774.jpg
1MB, 2000x1500px
>>48844007
How is Rhino Hero unique compared to games like pic related or Cat tower?
>>
>>48844130
The giant edition can't pass comsumer safety laws in the west, it'll never be released outside of Japan.
>>
>>48844310
>>48842810
To add to this, this means even if you don't like it you can easily sell it used for a 1000% markup.
>>
>>48837481
I want your job. Gieb!
>>
>>48843038
Z-Man is owned by Asmodee?
>>
>>48844770

Yes. They acquired F2Z which includes Zman, Filosofia and Plaid Hat Games
>>
>>48844790
Well, fuck...
>>
>>48844790
Toe be fair they're just in negotiations at the moment, but yeah it's gonna happen because no one else is going to step up and offer more.
>>
>>48844833
I was hoping Zman and Rio Grande would resist
>>
>>48749920
A new thread is up ===> >>48845514
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.