[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5e General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 34

Dungeons and Dragons 5e General
Knights, Fighters, and armored warriors Edition

Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Old Thread
>>48693563

What are some of your favorite classes or archetypes? That one go-to build that you find yourself coming back to?
>>
>>48713238
Not by choice, but I often find myself gravitating towards rogue on the chances that I get to play.
>>
>>48713238
>Tome of Beasts by Kobold Press
https://mega.nz/#!xIcw0JrS!e_WL2JWFEU7HN0DwK69F9J9MLoe7qv69qez0lDGPWUQ
YW
>>
>>48713238
Frenzy Barbarian grandpa. There's nothing I love more than a giant muscle grandpa with a huge beard who doesn't take no back talk from little brats, i.e. everybody.

I also really like Lawful Evil necromancer who takes great cares of his allies "to keep them strong for their inevitable role as his thrall." He keeps this a secret to himself, of course.
>>
>>48713238

I've only been playing for about a year and a half, but have been forever DM through all of that time, except when I briefly got to play a Barbarian in Curse of Strahd. The DM of that campaign had to bail out so I had to abandon my barb to take over DMing...
>>
>>48713238
My favorite builds are sword and board builds. My warlock is a spell and board build.

In general I always find myself drawn to fighters and clerics. This holds true for both 3.5 and 5e
>>
>>48713238

I've always loved the fighter. Magic swords seem cooler than just about any other magic item, armor is cooler than a dress, and being able to play the hero feels good. Paladins are too stuffy, barbarians are too angry, but a fighter can be anything or anyone.
>>
File: 1468519724144.jpg (123KB, 537x536px) Image search: [Google]
1468519724144.jpg
123KB, 537x536px
>>48713238
Hoplite or Axeman. Two bladed axes are for faggots. Swords are stupid.
>>
>>48713451
>Swords are stupid.
How dare you
>>
>>48713238
If it has Spears, I automatically like it.

After that, I'm very fond of the Good Necromancer (two stories on /tg/ made me fall in love). I also love the Cleric. Sometimes I can combine all three.
>>
>>48713451
whats your opinion on daggers? AKA smallest swords.

>>48713238
Casters FTW. Usually some kind of sneaky caster, like an illusionist or necromancer. Havent tried the arcane trickster because i am forever DM, but eh, what can you do.
>>
Are CN characters the worst to play with?
>>
>>48713590

Players who play CN like we shit on CN here are the worst to play with.
>>
>>48713543
Daggers are pretty sweet because you have to get up in a dude's face.
>>
>>48713603
Yeah that is what I meant, I worded it poorly.
>>
>>48713349
it'a kinda incredible that they want you to pay fucking 40€ for this copypasted shit.
Some ideas a re fine but seriously i could draw better shit
>>
My favorite character I made was this Drow Warlock who, when I first made him, at the request of my fellow players and DM, wasn't going to be evil. Only late Vegeta kind of bad.
Fast forward to him collecting the blood of the innocent and leading a cult.
To be fair, all the other PCs became evil too.
>>
>>48713394
literally me
>>
>>48713755
Oh, man...the second you made angsty house-husband Vegeta, I'd have made a Monk Goku just to play off that.
>>
hello there new dm and i need a clarification.
If my druid character has choosen her 4 1st level spells for her 4 first spell slots and did the same for her 2nd level slot can she still use a spell twice and spend two spell slots of the first level for example?

Like even if she has choosen all her 4 spells can she still just use cure wounds for times?
thx
>>
>>48713819
Yes
>>
>>48713861
thanks that actually helps me so much.
>>
Reading through the Phoenix Bard from last thread (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJtVb9Uw)
Unarmored requirement is weird, it'll be really nice for Draconic Sorc but otherwise it means -2 AC for +10 speed, even on a Dex Bard it would be of questionable use I think. The martial weapon proficiency doesn't do much except allow heavy crossbows, but fits thematically with the fire warrior type.
Ignite the Soul means twice the rolls or more for the signature ability, which isn't a good thing. I'd just have it be like explosive dice, either they gain it back if they roll max or they roll again and add both together to that same check. In either case, I'd maybe give one more way to use it too to keep it a bit more like the other features, damage is an easy one.
Blaze of Glory feels like it should only be on a hit, so as not to waste it, but otherwise seems fine as well as the capstone.

Living Flame patron is cool too, I quite like the first feature though it might be a bit too strong, not too familiar with how resistance works out. Ember Walker seems like it should be the capstone, and the automatic 1d6+1d6 every turn might be a bit too much. Searing Blessing is a bit lazy because there's a feat for that, but it is understandable, and the last feature is mostly fine except I think it should use your spell save DC.
>>
>>48713238

Would play illusionists and general misdirection tactics, but

>Local DM's a dick
>Wouldn't even care if I threw up the Illusion of a dragon with freshly ground up Goblin giblets in its teeth, to scare off a horde of goblins, complete with the scent of putrid goblin and smoke if I had the means

>"Nope that doesn't work."

So I tend to pick Fighter and just crossclass into things for silly damage. Or pick Warlock and just Magic Stone things.
>>
Thanks very much to a suggestion from an anon from two threads ago which after having considered it more is sufficiently descriptive and brief despite still not being terribly pretty (I honestly think 5e's language may make it impossible for that wording to be pretty).

I bequeath to you all what I think may be the final iteration of The Moon Presence warlock patron.
>>
Hey I asked earlier this week about leveling up animals, what about training them in classes? I figure a Warhorse Fighter or an Elephant Barbarian would be pretty hardcore.
>>
And here's a Chain Pact familiar option as well (which is very fun to use).
>>
Does anyone have the most recent version of the 4 elements monk fix?
>>
File: dc1NjI4.png (22KB, 481x467px) Image search: [Google]
dc1NjI4.png
22KB, 481x467px
> a mere 300 XP to level up to level 2

D&D has become incredibly pussified. You literally need 1/3rd the XP you used to to level up. Why is this? It's because the normies that have been invading tabletop gaming demand an easier experience. They do not have the patience for anything but near-instant gratification. Most GMing manuals say the players should level up after session 1. This is the new state of gaming. Most gamers are no longer dedicated to the hobby; instead, they are wrestling with careers, relationships, and having to watch "the little guy" and are too busy to put in the effort anymore. Whereas I know plenty of successful men who had all the time in the world to play AD&D, it seems that nowadays people are fucking idiots, and our gaming experience is dumbed down to compensate.
>>
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IkLfY8tgFIHu1jSdDL13lxHJgUBw635uUQMK5nH4hNI/edit?usp=sharing

Here's a 5e campaign I've been working on set in ancient Greece
>>
>>48714046
Level one is stupid and no one in their right mind desires to play at level one for large amounts of time.
"Pussified" my ass. Do you really enjoy ending whole encounters with sleep or else dying to a few lucky goblin hits?
Then fuck off to your own homebrew world and do it yourself.
>>
>>48714046

Well, as long as they don't cave and make it "casualized" or "normalized" (whatever you prefer) to level up after 5..I guess it's as good as it's going to get.

The only time I've seen sessions surpass 5 was when the session -started- post 5, save for my first character who's level 6 from level 1 and in play stasis for who knows how fucking long.
>>
>>48713941
Have you told him about those things called war games and board games?
>>
>>48714102

Yep.

He'll go on and on about how he can't afford to get into that shit. Yet he'll spend countless thousands of dollars on wall portraits, kek
>>
>>48714046
The first 3 levels of 5e are clearly designed to slowly build up the basics of the class at hand and how the funny shaped dice work. After that is where levelling up starts to really matter. It's why most people who know what they're doing start at level 3, which according to your chart there is where things slow down dramatically.
>>
>>48714046
>XP is integral to RPGs

>>>/v/ is that way.
>>
>>48713238
I usually switch pretty majorly when I need a new toon, but I love me some 2h weapon action.

Given how much I'm enjoying WM sorcerer I'd happily come back, too.
>>
>>48713517
Able to share the stories, or are they lost to time?
>>
File: Untitled-design.png (493KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-design.png
493KB, 640x640px
Hey, when do you guys reckon WotC will release the players companion for Storm King's Thunder. Didn't they do it earlier than release for Curse of Strahd?
>>
>>48714125
I start at level 3. Before that, it's training wheels. If you've never played 5e, start at 1. If you have at least five sessions, skip it.

>>48714230
I'd think, if they're going to do it at all, it'd be soon, because it goes on Early Release at the end of August.
>>
>>48714020
They would be hardcore, but I don't think fighters or barbarians would be very impressive as a class if you could literally train a monkey to do it. Besides that it would probably be easier to talk a DM into training an elephant to have the "rage" feature than giving it full blown levels
>>
>>48713819
Yeah, the spells known/prepared and slots aren't linked.
You can use any of the slots to cast any prepared spells you have, assuming appropriate level.
>>
File: Old Woodsman.jpg (142KB, 700x884px) Image search: [Google]
Old Woodsman.jpg
142KB, 700x884px
>>48713363
>>
>>48714283
Yes, this exactly. Bald is also perfectly fine. Beard is not optional.
>>
Tips for a first time DM?

I've made an area the size of a country for them to explore with various plot ideas for each one. Then, I designed the town they start in and the first dungeon they will inevitably be herded into.

Should I make small little encounters for each major establishment of the town? Conversations, happenings, etc. Or is it better to just do that on the fly?
>>
>>48713816
Honestly, as much fun as being a cult leader was, it would have been way more fun to stay Vegeta if a Goku was there
>>
File: Caretaker Storytime.png (796KB, 1912x4838px) Image search: [Google]
Caretaker Storytime.png
796KB, 1912x4838px
>>48714201
Fortunately they're some of the more well known
>>
File: Bob the Necromancer.png (148KB, 1339x920px) Image search: [Google]
Bob the Necromancer.png
148KB, 1339x920px
>>48714201
and the other one
>>
>>48714407

Have ideas, but nothing concrete, be prepared to ad lib a lot, and never expect your train to go underailed.
>>
>>48713238
ForeverDM / homebrewer here. But my characters usually end up being the de facto leader of the group (due to who I play with and my irl personality), so I gravitate towards Fighters, Paladins, and gish types. I hate monks.

>>48713926
this is me.

First off, really appreciate the feedback. What are your thoughts on:

> Dropping to Light armor requirement only, or bumping up AC while unarmored
> I like the explosive dice route, like how about making it MAX Number or something?
> I like the "on hit" change.

Living Flame
> Ember Walker to capstone?
> Do you have a suggestion for a different fire themed passive?
> I was thinking spell save DC might be a bit much, or at least GREATLY increases the chances of burning people to death.

>>48714254
I'm not sure if that's what he was implying....

>>48713363
I love "older, wiser" characters. My favorite was a grizzled veteran soldier Valor bard whose bardic inspiration, song of rest, and music/spells were motivational speeches, stories of old battles, and wisdom bombs / universal truths.
>>
>>48714407
If you're really worried about naming villagers, write a little pad of paper with 5 male and female names so you can name the NPC's that they take a liking to
And, like the other guy said, it's good that you have an outline for the story, but don't assume they'll follow it.
Isn't there a quote that goes along the lines of "Plans are useless, but planning is indispensable"? That's literally DM'ing in a nutshell
>>
How bad is it if Ireena gets captured in Curse of Strahd? Is it "well that sucks she was nice"-tier, or "oh fuck things are gonna get bad"-tier?
>>
>>48713363
>>48713517
What class is necromancer? Death Cleric? Necromancy Wizard?
>>
>>48713238
>TFW forever DM
I guess, the few chances I get to PC, I liked this one character that was a (minor sociopath) CG necromancer that couldn't tell the difference between undead and living
He's of noble birth, and above all, cherishes life with childlike naivety, so when his favorite doggo died, he searched the entire library for some healing magic
He couldn't really understand the difference between "raise dead" and "revive dead", plus going all the way to the church seemed like such a hastle
So he made a abomination zombie doggo, since he was inexperienced during the ritual.
The doggo, despite being heavily crippled, still loves him, and chills out in his backpack, since he really doesn't have control over his legs
I liked him because he was silly enough to have scooby/shaggy moments, but could also get serious because of his beliefs
>>
>>48714727
That's a really nice character idea, a boy and his dog given a bit of a morbid twist, props to that guy
>>
>>48714620
In the book? She just becomes a vampire and gets locked in a crypt. The party continues the campaign in shame because they're huge fuck-ups.
>>
>>48714784
>a boy and his dog given a bit of a morbid twist
so... a boy and his dog?
>>
>>48714046
What's it like being this autistic?
>>
>>48714812
oh fuck i forgot.
now i'm sad.
>>
>>48714784
Haha, thanks. I've only had the chance to break him out once, but I'm trying to convince force my friend into DM'ing so I can break him out again
If anyone else has this problem, how do you y'all handle >forever DM
>>
>>48714125
>The first 3 levels of 5e are clearly designed to slowly build up the basics of the class at hand and how the funny shaped dice work.

Exactly my point. It's babby shit aimed at new players. The entire system is designed around casuals. It's all to draw in new players and nothing to sustain them once they get there.

It's basically a 50 dollar tutorial. Doesn't Dungeon World exist for this kind of "intro to RPGs" crap?
>>
>>48714661
For me its the concept, which in 5e could be the Death Cleric or Necro Wizard.
>>
>>48714091
>The only time I've seen sessions surpass 5 was when the session -started- post 5, save for my first character who's level 6 from level 1 and in play stasis for who knows how fucking long.

Your inability to sustain a campaign is not my fault, nor is it the fault of real gamers who are able to keep a campaign going for more than 20 sessions. if you can't handle that, that's your problem. The devs shouldn't be catering to casuals who play the game for a couple months then move on to the new geek-chic activity of the month.
>>
>>48714794
Oh that's sad.
Fuck.
If I'd just played a good aligned character none of this would have ever happened.
>>
>>48714466
I heard this in my head as a monty python sketch.
Why did this sound like a monty python sketch?
>>
>>48714859
The meat of the game happens after the babby levels. The babby levels take no time to get through in the first place, and you don't even have to *start* at babby levels. Just start at level 3/4 you fuckit.
>>
>>48713238
Wizard: Theurge (Gandalf!!!), Artificer (for !!SCIENCE!!), Enchanter ("Look into my eyes...").

Monk: Long Death (I have one character in waiting that is an assassin who is insanely maternal, constantly mussing with the party members' hair to make sure it stays right)

Rogue: Swashbuckler. Daring pirates, need I say more?

Druid: Moon for dips, Land for actual play. I especially like my Steeder forms...
>>
>>48713590
I am firmly convinced CN can be played right. I haven't met anyone in-game who has actually tried.
>>
>HEALING IS SHIT, IT SUCKS, ITS A WASTE OF A TURN!
>ALWAYS HAVE DECENT CON BECAUSE IF YOU DON"T YOU"LL DIE IMMEDIATELY HP IS ALWAYS GOOD!

I don't know what to believe anymore. On a side note why does barbarian just feel way better than fighters?
>>
>>48714999
Being proactive is better than being reactive. Rather than waste spells trying to keep up with enemies that keep pumping damage into you, neutralize the enemies so that the damage fucking stops.
>>
>>48714980
Grog is a decentl played CN imo
>>
>>48714085

I didn't say large amounts of time, faggot. I"m talking it should last more than six encounters. That's half a fucking adventure.

> Do you really enjoy ending whole encounters with sleep or else dying to a few lucky goblin hits?

Who said anything about that? It's not my fault the game is shittily designed at lower levels. It's yours, and the developers, for creating that shitty experience. I guess the result is to throw it under the rug and make the game suck ass even more. Here's a tip: try AD&D. It is far superior to this tripe.
>>
>>48714046
Legitimate autism
>>
>>48714999
Staying in the fight longer is better than having a few party members spending time pushing that hp number back up.

Barbarians get some nice things over fighters, but fighters get the feat support to make up for that.
>>
>>48714661
Necromancy Wizard and Oathbreaker Paladin are the big two who can get some big boys under their control. Death Cleric gets some potential, but isn't really that much better than any wizard with the appropriate spells because few of his abilities synergize with it.
>>
>>48715022
>I"m talking it should last more than six encounters
>toxic levels 1-2
>lasting more than six encounters
Kys senpai - nothing about those levels is even remotely interesting. It's literal babby-tutorial shit.
>>
>>48715035
But feats looked like shit.
>>
File: 1460063012228.jpg (66KB, 672x712px) Image search: [Google]
1460063012228.jpg
66KB, 672x712px
>>48714943
>The babby levels take no time to get through

That's why 5e is shit though. Because it just fast-forwards through the low levels so that there is no effort involved and thus no feeling of achievement at leveling up. Might as well let the PCs level up after every session! You'll get to level 20 in no time! Since no one gets past level 6 anymore because they can only play once a month because they have an important career and have to "build" their relationship with their fat cow of a wife as well as changing the diapers of their shitspawn, why not just have an instant level-up to level 20 after each game?
>>
>>48715019
Like I said, actually played. I really like Grog, he might be my favorite NPC in OotS
>>
>>48715053

They are shit. They should have been left out of the game.

Wizards of the Coast is so bad at creating viable feats that they literally had to slip in Ability Score Bonuses to keep them worth taking. And most of them still aren't.

Feats are crap. That's what happens when you force them to live up to an unrealistic standard then make them even more useless than the 3.5 feats.
>>
File: 1446334091034.jpg (318KB, 2535x1935px) Image search: [Google]
1446334091034.jpg
318KB, 2535x1935px
>>48715058
>The babby levels take no time to get through
>"That's why 5e is shit though"

>>48715022
>the game is shittily designed at lower levels
>"Therefore we should have more of those levels!"

Trisomy 17p?
>>
>>48715052

Then go back to playing 4th edition if you're too much of a pussy to play D&D the way it's meant to be. Loads of gamers enjoy low-level combat and Wizards of the Coast basically said "fuck you" to that because they want to fellate the hordes of hipsters invading the hobby. There is no other good reason. Why even play the fucking game if you can't stand playing at the levels that aren't "interesting" (read: wahhh I can't cast fireballs out of my ass therefore it's boring), just start at level 25, oh wait you can't go past level 20 in this shitstorm of a game. Start at level 15 then and masturbate to how proud of yourself you are. Then throw a tantrum when mommy doesn't bring you your tendies within 30 seconds of asking, because that is the level of immaturity you are displaying here.
>>
>>48715075
They should have remained like they were in 3.5. The crowd that doesn't like "character sheet paperwork" are shitters that need to be purged.

I'd be down for removing any feat that increases damage, ac, spell pen, etc.
>>
File: laughinganimegirls#683.jpg (503KB, 976x827px) Image search: [Google]
laughinganimegirls#683.jpg
503KB, 976x827px
>>48715075
>Alert crap
>Lucky crap
>Resilient crap
>Polearm Master crap
>Great Weapon Master crap
>Sharpshooter crap
>Mobile crap
>Sentinel crap
>Heavy Armor Master crap
>War Caster crap
>Healer crap
OH AM I
LAFFIN
OH
>>
>>48715112
to be fair in 3.5/3.pf you get more class identifying abilities by level 3 than you do with 5e. You aren't really your class in 5e until like, level 10.
>>
>>48714999
>>48715013
Fighting is generally better than healing, but there are spells available that allow you to deal damage while healing. It's about taking advantage of action economy and planning out the fight.

As for the notion of barbarians being better than fighters, I've literally had the opposite impression when I played a barbarian vs playing a fighter. I prefer having a high AC and negate weapon damage by being hard as he'll to hit to reducing all weapon damage by raging. I'm not saying that one is better than the other indefinitely, just sharing my opinion.
>>
>>48715182
If, somehow, 3.5/pf ran as fast as 5e, I'd be okay with running 3.5/pf, even though, subjectively speaking, I like 5e better.
>>
File: 1434471308530.jpg (58KB, 582x582px) Image search: [Google]
1434471308530.jpg
58KB, 582x582px
>>48715112
>>
>>48714999
Depends on how good your DM is at encounter building. Having a full blown healbot will destroy the tension of a lot of encounters. Some DMs will respond to that by scaling up the difficulty, making the healbot necessary. Plus some DMs might just make encounters that hard in the first place.

Ideally, you shouldn't need a dedicated healer, though.
>>
>>48715096

> more of those levels

No, I am saying we should have the same amount of those levels as before. At least there is a discernible difference between level 1 and level 2; by level 15 or level 16 there is basically no difference. If you can't understand this, learn what the fuck logarithms are because I am not explaining this shit to you. The game wants to fast-forward you through the first three levels then slow you the fuck down because by then you've bought their 150 dollar books and they don't really give a fuck if you play the game or not.
>>
Oh great here comes the anime poster.
>>
File: 1368776677725.jpg (57KB, 415x440px) Image search: [Google]
1368776677725.jpg
57KB, 415x440px
>>48715285
>No, I am saying we should have the same amount of those levels as before
>>48714046
So more of those levels ;)
>>
>>48715264
I guess thats a fair point. If I was playing a healer character I'd feel like shit if the DM started scaling up encounters because I was doing a good job. The reason I'd ever want to play a dedicated healer/Paladin focused on being tanky and shit is to never feel in danger which I guess is the exact opposite of the effect the DM wants.

Even now when I'm making a character (human variant fighter thats going to wear plate and use a heavy crossbow/sword and board) I'm making that character built around the idea in removing as many dangers as possible over dealing the most damage possible. I'd feel like my choices were horribly invalidated if I got wrecked by scaling difficulty.
>>
>>48715182

I feel like most classes come into their own around level 5/6.

>>48715154

Mobile really is an awesome feat. I can't think of a martial character where I wouldn't want it. Maybe barbarian?
>>
Hi 5eg

I have 105 gold to spend from someone else's starting money. I already have 300 feet of rope, a mule, a cart, a locked chest, a spare mastiff, and a 40 gallon barrel of ale. What else can I spend the money on?
>>
>>48715154

They are all shit compared to a +2 to an ability score.
>>
>>48715182
>You aren't really your class in 5e until like, level 10.

Again, that is shitty design in 5e. Not an excuse for shitting up the level system to compensate. It's called, learn to design the game properly Mearls. Just simplifying it doesn't make you a good game designer, everyone and their uncle has been doing that for years.
>>
>>48715364
Usually, but if you're a variant human or have already capped out your primary stat they're generally *better* than going after most class's secondary stat.
>>
>>48715348
I guess I'm mainly thinking of paladin, they don't get any really useful auras until like 10 I think. Maybe most people would consider smite the ability but I think lay on hands, auras, immunity to poison/desease/fear, and detect evil are my go to Paladin abilities
>>
>>48715246

> If, somehow, 3.5/pf ran as fast as 5e, I'd be okay with running 3.5/pf, even though, subjectively speaking, I like 5e better.

> t. someone who never mastered the rules of 3.5 and whines about his inability to learn rules
>>
>>48715402
Aura of protection is level 6 and one of the best auras around.
>>
>>48715383
>Usually, but if you're a variant human or have already capped out your primary stat

Well, that is also the game's fault for literally doubling the attribute bonuses then forcing the feats to compare with that, and horribly failing at their job. The +2 ASIs are another example of instant gratification meant to pander to childish gamers who want everything to be like Dark Souls or League of Legends.
>>
>>48715383
fuck that, I want all the good saves, and more hp over slightly more damage.
>>
File: defendersword.png (189KB, 475x259px) Image search: [Google]
defendersword.png
189KB, 475x259px
> bounded accuracy edition
> feats shouldn't give flat bonuses to hit / damage
> class features shouldn't give flat bonuses to hit / damage
> even spells like bless have to add a d4 to hit if they can't give advantage
> somehow pic related is okay tho

k
>>
>>48715402

Yeah like >>48715416 says Aura of Protection is really your biggest ability and you get it at level 6. I'd also consider Smite/Lay on Hands to be your other two signature abilities.
>>
>>48715364
Unless you're a first level human or a class that already has 20 in their main stat
Or you want to do something a little weird like getting hex as a monk
Or it it generally helps your concept a lot, like playing a scout with alert
>>
>>48715422
So Resilient (Constitution) is your favorite option then ;)
>>
>>48715416
>>48715431

I mixed up the levels for courage and protection. Though courage being level 10 is also super gay, thats like a baseline ability of the class imo.
>>
>>48715332

>wear plate
>use a crossbow

just go full dex.
>>
>>48715407
lulz, k senpai
>>
>>48715439

>getting hex as a monk

I've seriously considered this before just so my damage doesn't fall off as the game progresses.
>>
>>48715407
Yes I want less complex rules too. Is this a problem?
>>
>>48715430
>(legendary)

>>48715421
It's really fine dude. You cap your primary and then unless you're a monk, paladin, or barb you generally start taking feats.
And if you're a human, you get a feat to start with.
Feats don't suck at all - it's only that primary attributes are fucking massive-huge.
>>
File: what_unknown.png (121KB, 250x418px) Image search: [Google]
what_unknown.png
121KB, 250x418px
>>48715439
>Unless you're a first level human or a class that already has 20 in their main stat

So the game forces you to select it's non-viable options by putting arbitrary limitations on your growth because of an inability to balance the game?

Sounds like good design to me!
>>
>>48715430
Not really seeing the problem here, champ.
>>
>>48715448
I'd go up to 14 dex max I think.
>>
>>48715488
There are mathematically "best" options in every fucking game in the universe cocksucker.
>>
>>48715495

The problem is if you wind up doing that your crossbowing is going to suck.
>>
>>48715488
Me too.

No really. I think soft caps are a good thing and allow more character variety since after clearing the "20 in main score" part more options you pick speak more to what you want the character to be than what you need to do in order to maximize damage or whatever
>>
Can you take the same feat more than once? e.g. Can I take reslient more than once and apply it to different stats?
>>
>>48715528
If it says you can, you can. The feat portion of the rulebook is tiny man.
>>
>>48715528
The only feat you can take more than once is Elemental Adept, and that's because the feat specifically says you can.
>>
Does anyone have a code duello that they've used in their games, that's coherent and makes sense? All the ones I've found are shit.
>>
>>48715551
>>48715542
Fucking gay desu.
>>
>>48715573
Play a monk to 14 if it bothers you too much bruh.
Or do even better and play a paladin.
>>
>>48715528
Unless the feat says in its description that you can take it multiple times, you cannot take a feat more than once. Resilient cannot be taken multiple times.
>>
>>48710673
5e cosmology is the best cosmology
>>
File: 1468442675096.png (605KB, 698x537px) Image search: [Google]
1468442675096.png
605KB, 698x537px
what do you guys think of players who are general goofs in campaigns?

always getting in trouble, talking about stupid things, performing questionable actions etc
>>
>>48715596
Depends on the tone of the game.
>>
>>48715430
what is the point of this post?

that's a legendary weapon. A "nobody will see this item given out more than once in their lifetime, and only then to a high-leveled character" item
>>
>>48715642
>what is the point of this post?
It's bait.
>>
>>48715596
Thin line to walk that mostly airs on the side of annoying. My prefered style of game is what I'd call "Staturday Night Party" style of games. It can get serious sometimes when the game warrents it but in general the group are ADVENTURERS seeking ADVENTURE because they're ADVENTUROUS FUN PEOPLE. That means the party tends to get into shenanigans, the party goofs around doing stupid shit, and sometimes they put their lives on the line for strangers because they're adventurers and they fucking can. For that type of game I'd rather have a retard that goofs into trouble than a highly skilled and well played mage that spends have the session doing great roleplay and completely outsmarting encounters with his deft cleverness.
>>
>>48715680
i have just never understood bait or trolling

what does getting a reply on a dumb post get you? a second's worth of attention?

I suppose I'm out of touch with the basement dwelling 24/7 4chan shitposting demographic
>>
>>48715582
Also rogue's get wisdom saves at some higher level. I would recommend paladin of those choices if saves are your big concern though
>>
>>48715713
whatever
>>
>>48715685
Unless he also brings deft and witty humour/one-liners in which case welcome to the party. I guess what I'm trying to say is that when I play D&D I'm going to see a b movie action flick and not a great play.
>>
>>48715521

Yes but not so blatantly so.

>>48715527

The cap wouldn't be necessary at all if 5e wasn't so badly designed.
>>
Does durable work on self cast heals or only rest consumed hit die heals?
>>
>>48715894
They're not even "so blatantly so" in 5e. If you a are a polearm wielding fighter, for instance, it's actually mathematically *BETTER* for you to take polearm master *BEFORE* maxing your strength.
>>
>>48714046
Hiya virt. guessing the noose broke?
>>
File: image.jpg (68KB, 743x557px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68KB, 743x557px
>>48713238
Half-elf Valor Bards who are dashing swordsman type, usually rapier using but now I frequently fluff it as being a saber.
>>
>>48715745
You are everything that's wrong with this hobby.
>>
>>48715894
If by blatantly so you mean "it's the best way to deal damage", then you have a point. However, only shitlords obsess about damage so much.
>>
>>48716021
Sabers are sexier I think.
>>
>>48715596

Kick them out. I would also seriously consider expelling them from your friend group.

There is no excuse for D&D players to treat the game like a joke.
>>
>>48716059
It's not obsessing about damage, it's obsessing about the damage that character can do by itself, alone. Which is even dumber and for kill stealing glory hounds who should just play Shadows of Mordor or Assassin's Creed.
>>
>>48715985
>If you a are a polearm wielding fighter, for instance, it's actually mathematically *BETTER* for you to take polearm master *BEFORE* maxing your strength.

It's mathematically better to NOT be a polearm fighter in the first place. They are a substandard weapon in D&D, just like they were in real life.
>>
>>48716060
Exactly.
They are both curvy like a woman and sharp like an implement of killing.
>>
>>48716099
Not really. If you don't have a common use for your bonus actions and reactions polearms are really good with the feat
>>
>>48716087
DnD can be super cereal, but it doesn't have to be. Most players I know would rather gravitate to being lighthearted than not, and DnD allows that to happen.

Moral of the story though, is match expectations or you'll have a bad time.
>>
>>48716099
It isn't at all.
Especially in conjunction with sentinel.
Most classes don't have such incredibly reliable reaction and bonus action attacks.
>>
Are there any deities who play a special role in Out of the Abyss? (besides Lolth I'd imagine)?
>>
>>48716021
great idea, i hate rapiers.

also I've never played a valor bard before, how are they? something like a spell casting dex fighter?
>>
>>48716099
>Berserker is better than Totem the post
>>
>>48716147
>Most players I know would rather gravitate to being lighthearted than not, and DnD allows that to happen.

So does Toon, why don't you play that instead, then kill yourself you fucking cunt. People like you are ruining gaming.
>>
>>48716204
No. Gods don't directly communicate in FR anymore.
>>
>>48716232
More like a sneak-attack-less rogue with full caster progression.
>>
>>48714510
I had some feedback on the College of Faith. I love most of the features but the first one, Mysteries of Faith, should be changed. The theme of the college is Healing or Aid, this feature doesn't really work to well towards those goals. You do get a wider range of spell selection like buffs but players will probably grab great damage and utility out of it and the bard already gets healing/restoration spells.
What you need instead is incentive for the bard to use their precious slots on their healing spells. Something akin to the Cleric's Disciple of Life from the Life Domain. Maybe whenever their music restores hit points to an ally they get a spring in their step and have +2 AC for a round or something like that.
>>
File: enjoy your reply.png (254KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
enjoy your reply.png
254KB, 1280x720px
>>48716280
>>
File: baitime.jpg (52KB, 415x570px) Image search: [Google]
baitime.jpg
52KB, 415x570px
>>48714046
>wants to complain about modern dnd players being filthy casuals
>uses a non-issue like the needed exp to reach level 1 for his case
>does not mention the hp bloat in this edition
It's easy to tell you don't believe anything you say.
>>
>>48716232

They get no martial features aside from proficiency in better weapons/armor and extra attack. They also later get a bonus action attack after casting a spell, but I wouldn't waste magical secrets on booming blade or something. Bard is a support class, pretty much every feature is based around supporting your party.
>>
>>48716204
It's really just demon lords and shit.
>>
>>48716290
I mean even followers of actual deities occuring at all. Worshipers of That Which Lurks or Cyric or something perhaps?
>>
>>48716322
RIP the dream.
>>
>>48716232
Valor Bards are fun.
Very Fighter-like in terms of of how you play them, but you have a lot more skill utility and magical stuff for support in combat and stuff and your music is good for buffing.
With high Dex and Defensive Duelist you can be pretty survivable.
>>
>>48716303
I like that. I think I might make it so they get max die on healing spells....
>>
File: Option 3.jpg (83KB, 522x548px) Image search: [Google]
Option 3.jpg
83KB, 522x548px
Anyone ever try playing like this? I imagine you'd need to set expectations beforehand so people actually want to play the DM for a short while instead of foisting it on the forever DM of the group anyways.
>>
File: 1408167213655.jpg (71KB, 611x696px) Image search: [Google]
1408167213655.jpg
71KB, 611x696px
>>48716296
>>48716316
>>48716393

sounds like something i want to play for my next character.

any multi-class recommendations/options or should i take it straight to 20?
>>
>>48716453

paladin 2/bard 18 so you can smite and don't lose out on your final magical secrets
>>
>>48714620
This happened to my group. The book says that she just gets vamped and locked in her crypt but that is boring so I will have her be a turbo slut arm candy in a tight red dress who accompanies Strahd
>>
>>48716401
That is the life domain capstone, unless you were going to have it 1 + Cha Mod times per long rest or something.
>>
>>48716313
>does not mention the hp bloat in this edition

At least it's better than in 4e.

>>48715993

What?
>>
>>48716407
Fun theory. But honestly, I have zero idea how this would work in practice.

It would utterly fail in a strict dungeon setting.
>>
>>48716593
>It would utterly fail in a strict dungeon setting.
Would it though? It might work best that way, with nobody knowing what the next few rooms will be. A communal roguelike.
>>
>>48716593
Each GM can create a few rooms and you're golden.

There are ways to make everything work.
>>
>>48716407
I want to try this, I think it would be a lot of fun
>>
>>48716589
It's also better than in 3e since con scores are generally lower. I'm not sure why you'd use HP bloat as an example of a 5e specific problem (rather than a general DnD one)
>>
>>48714867
Or Death Theurge
>>
Does anyone know where I can find the Monster-a-Day Compendium ever since it got taken down?
>>
>>48716502
Are you gonna vamp her or no?
Can you still save the poor girl?
>>
>>48717010
I'm not him, but sexy red dress turbo slut arm candy for a vampire?
How is that NOT perfect Vampire Spawn material?
>>
>>48717101
If Strahd does indeed vamp her and lock her away in my game... I might just try and get her to feed on Strahd's blood, and turn *HER* into Barovia's new vampire overlord.
>>
>>48717130
Is that how that works in D&D?
Whatever, doesn't matter, it's not like D&D is ever super consistent with vampires and in Ravenloft vamps can have all kinds of crazy powers.
>>
>>48717151
>Is that how that works in D&D?
I dunno if Strahd himself works differently than the Monster Manual vampire - the monster manual vampire does say if the spawn is allowed to drink the true vamp the spawn itself will become a true vamp.
I think that would be very interesting.
>>
>>48715903
If you ever roll a Hit Die to regain hp it counts.
>>
>>48717168
Strahd kinda works differently considering he's immune to sunlight and a lot of the traditional weaknesses D&D vampires have, but really as a player or a GM I'd make it work whichever way is most interesting.
It'd be funny if Turboslut Vamp Ireena became an independent vampire, and then basically by becoming evil she lost literally everything Strahd ever found attractive about her, so even now that he has her he has STILL lost her.

That's the kinda shitty thing that the Dark Powers tend to do.
>>
>>48717209
I don't see my DM deviating too much on the Ireena bit - she's been captured, and I doubt he's not gonna vamp and entrap her. We didn't immediately start a rescue mission either. Goddamn shit fuck I wish I was playing an actual good-aligned character in this game and not a two-timer who's actually helping Strahd accomplish his goals and trample the rest of the party just because he wants to save his own hide. It's cool in its own way, but it reminds me why I always plays good characters - doing this shit feels *bad* man.
>>
File: coop.jpg (762KB, 3386x2394px) Image search: [Google]
coop.jpg
762KB, 3386x2394px
>>48715112
This poster is a huge faggot, but I do actually enjoy low level combat. It's quick and dirty and dangerous and requires the players to weigh their actions and work as a team since any wacky crit or unlucky rolls could turn the tables. I usually see people acting silly during fights after 5th level and not really cooperating or giving it much thought, since at that point you can brute force a lot of encounters by just rushing in and attacking or casting fireball.
The only thing I don't enjoy about low level combat is that I'm constantly paranoid that someone will start acting silly anyway and get all of us killed, or at least give us a hard time.
>>
>>48717101
I mean that's basically what Esher is. Ravenloft's Lestat.

>>48717168
>>48717209
Strahd isn't just a vampire, he has some kind of cosmic magical curse. Ravenloft and Strahd might not even technically "exist." It's basically the Silent Hill of D&D.
>>
>>48717277
Usually I just cast sleep and we win the encounter. Do this twice. Then we get level two.
Then I sleep 3 more consecutive encounters.
Then we're 3, and actual combat begins.
>>
>>48717303
This was how 2e worked too, only you did this way more and were a bit more likely to fuck up the cast.
>>
>>48717319
Yeah - I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.
I mean, it doesn't matter what level my character is for RP purposes in games all that much, but for Christ's sake levels 1-2 especially make for the dullest combats ever. It's either a TPK or someone casts sleep. Fuck.
>>
>>48717303
>>48717319
I have never actually seen anyone take or cast sleep in 5e, surprisingly.
>>
>>48717360
For levels 1-4, it is an amazing first level spell. It strikes me odd that you'd have not seen a full caster take it by now, given how powerful it is at those levels.
>>
>>48717296
>Strahd isn't just a vampire, he has some kind of cosmic magical curse. Ravenloft and Strahd might not even technically "exist." It's basically the Silent Hill of D&D.

If you use the older lore, then the Demiplane of Dread's realms are indeed real and it's people non-illusory (or if they are illusory the difference is so minimal as to be effectively academic and pointless), but they're all "artificial", meaning created out of whole cloth from the Mists.
Seems to be that the entire plane is basically a sort of "Ironic Prison" for the really truly uniquely evil beings of the metaplanes and they are captured and imprisoned in their lands where they ALMOST get everything they want but are always denied truly fulfillment, in effect torturing them with the failings that made them evil in the first place.

I remember way back when an old theory was that the Dark Powers, while not precisely evil, did sort of "feed" off the evil that the Darklords did as well as their constant misery and failings and thus allowed heroes to thwart them in small ways constantly so they constantly feel frustrated and do more evil in some kind of twisted, never-ending cycle.
Now it seems that the Dark Powers are genuinely some kind of horrible pseudo-deific being of some sort.
>>
>>48717391
If it actually trivializes early fights as much as they said it does, having never seen it has probably played a part in why I like early fights.
>>
>>48717457
I'd rather get through those levels with the characters I put so much into the backgrounds of alive though.

For instance, in a game in which nobody had sleep, 7 goblins TPK'd our party of 4 because of decent rolls from the goblins and not-so-great attack rolls from us.
That's a whole lot less fun than actually living and continuing to play the game with the character you made and want to RP with.
>>
>>48716453
Straight 20 is perfectly fine.

College of Swords from UA is good too, especially Unnerving Flourish for interrogation purposes.
>>
>>48717457
Oh yeah. Basically Sleep is the spell that either absolutely wrecks combat difficulty or is totally useless. I believe Treantmonk described it as "You can take out like four goblins, or like zero trolls." When you have a bunch of low-HP creatures (i.e. great for commoner disposal), it trivializes the encounter, but HP of creatures rapidly outscales the spell.
>>
>>48717436
I remember in 4e they released some Ravenloft stuff and basically said it was in the Shadowfell plane or something. What's interesting about the artificial creation thing is that it's kinda implied that the people who are coming to Ravenloft are being brought there to have their souls harvested and put into those creations. Which might be why the soulless people are born, because they occasionally run out of souls.
>>
>>48717502
I've been thinking things like with my latest character, whose chances of survival I'm very unsure about, so I understand the feeling.
I guess it's good that the low levels don't last very long then.
>>
>>48717688
>I guess it's good that the low levels don't last very long then
Absolutely.
>>
Is taking Ritual Caster a good idea as a sorcerer? As far as I can tell, it's one of the only ways without multiclassing I can grab Find Familiar, which for whatever reason sorcerers normally can't get. I was thinking about picking Identify up too, since I think we'll be doing a fair bit of investigation in this game. I also think it might be helpful to have a bunch of utility spells available without eating up the precious few spells I'm allowed to learn.
>>
>>48717700
I always saw level one as the "prologue" anyway.
>>
>>48717675
Yeah, 4e was all about stuffing the Feywild and Shadowfell into absolutely everything it could get away with to make the game feel more "unified" and not have players have to remember all that silly "individual setting" junk.

Because that's what players want, right? A watered-down version of an already fairly generic fantasy setting, yeah?
I actually don't mind 4e at all mechanically, but I fucking hate the business mindset decisions that seem to drive all of WotC's choices regarding all the edition's they're in charge of. All of them seem to come from the most asanine and stupid standpoint possible.
>>
>>48717731
I don't personally like ritual caster, but it's not completely unuseful senpai. Do what ya like.
>>
>>48717731
Ritual Caster feat's version of ritual casting is on par with the wizard's, but inferior to the warlock's version. Warlocks can pick up any ritual spell from any class, while the feat is limited to whatever single class you pick.
>>
>>48717010
Of course she is a vamp
>>48717130
Spawn are controlled by the full vampire. I doubt Strahd would give Ireena full control over her faculties in case she left him. Dude has major abandonment issues
>>48717209
Strahd is only immune to natural Barovian sunlight. Magical sunlight still burns. Its why the sunblade is almost required
>>
>>48717436
In my game the dark powers exist to feed of the work of adventuring parties within the realm that die and then are fed into the soul meat grinder. It's all done Cabin in the Woods style except no one is 100% on board or knows about the ritual.
>>
>>48717827
>Spawn are controlled by the full vampire. I doubt Strahd would give Ireena full control over her faculties in case she left him
Oh I realize this. What I'd probably do is knock Strahd so he's forced to retreat to his coffin, then before the end of an hour take vamp-spawn Ireena to him in his coffin saying he's requested that she consume their love by her taking some of his blood, like he's taken of hers.
>>
>>48716719
>con scores are generally lower.
> twice the ASIs of 3.5

Yeah, no.
>>
>>48717827
Not only would Ireena leave him - she did as Tatyana.

And Sergei saves Ireena from Strahd in the good end within the adventure.
>>
>>48717820
I was planning on picking wizard list, but going tomelock would still make sense for the character, who already has a relationship with an outer being, plus sorlock shenanigans. Wonder if the DM will let me have a flying snake as a familiar without going chain?
>>
>>48717885
Uh ok but why would
A) she do what you say
B) you want another full vamp to fight

Additionally the blood must be freely given
>>
Is anyone else watching the Curse of Strahd livestream? It's a bit cringe inducing at times, but then again Chris Perkins made the party think the paladin ate a baby.
>>
>>48717941
>Additionally the blood must be freely given
Charm. Fuq, even suggestion could do the trick.

She wouldn't have to do what I say, but I'd think it'd be pretty easy to convince a master-obsessed vamp spawn to do something conceived as intimate such as taking some blood from their master. Especially when the master in question asks her to (woo suggestion/charm)
>>
>>48717941
>why would you want another full vamp to fight
My character isn't fighting the vamps. He's assisting them.
>>
What are some fun shenanigans for a level 4 wizard?

So far, I have:

>throw caltrops in a hallway at several intervals, then use pyrotechnics to fill the hall with smoke, causing pursuers to eventually be slowed to a halt
>use minor image to make the edge of a pit look further out than it is so that people just fall in
>run through a bunch of crates, putting an illusory one in a place where they're likely to step on it and discover it's fake, thus making them wary of climbing on any other crates that could be fake as well
>lightning lure someone into a fire
>get a bunch of caltrops, wrap them in a thin piece of cloth, and cast catapult to hurl them at the enemy, causing damage and dropping the caltrops at the enemy's feet
>pocket sand in the eyes(but the sand is ground up glass)
>pocket glass in the eyes (but the glass is coated in hot pepper sauce)
>>
>>48717731

It might be worth it if you have no other utility casters in the group and if you think your DM will be kind enough to throw some good rituals your way.
>>
>>48717960
I'm catching up on the archives. I just got through an episode where the Bard did absolutely nothing. I do like the retarded Scooby Doo dynamic the party has, though. The Sorcerer is Shaggy, the Bard is Daphne, the Paladin is Southern Baptist Freddy, and the Rogue is Velma.
>>
>>48714046
Why is 10 to 11 such a big jump in 5e?
>>
>>48717960
I caught a tiny bit where Perkins had Rahadin pretending to be Kasimir or whatever. As someone running CoS right now I thought that part was brilliant.
>>
>>48718223
Maybe to get used to the new abilities some classes get at 10th? I dunno.
>>
>>48718223
Because it is a massive power level increase. Fighters get their third attack, full casters get their first of the ultimate spell levels (6th, where they don't get a second slot until after 9th level spells are in play), Paladins get Improved Divine Smite, and so on. It is the transition to a whole new level of power.
>>
>>48718010
>>48718010
Kek yeh good luck with that mate
>>
File: 1454268741995.jpg (142KB, 588x800px) Image search: [Google]
1454268741995.jpg
142KB, 588x800px
I have a lvl 4 hill dwarf life cleric. Should I use my ability score improvement on wisdom or go for warcaster feat?
>>
>>48718300
Oh he's getting a bad end senpai.
No doubt about that - the question will be does everyone else get a bad end with him?
The final con won't be until the very very end of the campaign, so I don't think anyone will feel too bad about it (assuming it even succeeds) given that.
>>
>>48717996
So you want to charm strahd to make ireena into a full vamp

Kay...
>>
>>48718338
Having a new vampire overlord of Barovia end would be a different kind of ending I think
>>
>>48718327
Wisdom. Holy symbols can go on shields
>>
>>48718351
If youare going to the trouble just become a full vamp yourself
>>
>>48718223
it's called a power spike

alongside 5 and 17
>>
>>48718384
Other people would have to assist my character though - given he'd have to be turned into a spawn first - and nobody would ever do that.
So turning one of Strahd's current spawns into the new overlord is a bit more feasible I think, especially if it were to be Ireena.
>>
>>48718361
Do I need to specify that with my DM? Is there rules pertaining with this action?
>>
>>48718440
Stow your weapon before you cast your spell, and re-draw your weapon next round if you have a shield in the other hand and don't want to cast another spell.
Not too rough senpai.
>>
File: 1219867114891.jpg (620KB, 1072x718px) Image search: [Google]
1219867114891.jpg
620KB, 1072x718px
Story sanity check again.

I've assembled the inspiration together and came up with an egalitarian realm the PCs come from with borderlands, and a despotic Draconic theocracy city state over a major mountain range.
The Players are minor nobles or members of the court who've been put forward by their patrons to go up the mountains and perform a Spring ritual and bestow gifts to the earthly Spring deity, Feli De, of the hills. A trite tradition that is more ceremony than import.

However the city of nasties has managed to meet this deity and kill them fulfilling some demand from Tiamat, to something something demigodhood.

Now Spring is delayed and the winter drags on which is pressuring the barbarian tribes in the mountains to start raiding for survival.

The 3rd Level PCs will encounter these barbarians a few times before reaching the glade where the ritual is to be carried out to find the dead god surrounded by sprites and spirits and woodland creatures. An angelic Pixie is working hard to retain the divine spring spirits essence from disappearing and implores the PCs to bring water from a blessed pool which will revive Feli De. Or else the mountains will never recover from winters grasp.

The majority of the PCs are neutral and consists of a Ranger, Monk, Bard, Rogue, Sorcerer and Wizard. No divine casters save the ranger.

How is that for an intro adventure. This can then build up to hunting the nasties who killed her, stopping their plans, and maybe dealing with the
Dragon theocracy directly in a political intrigue game.
I can also have the angelic sprite bait and switch and take the blessed waters for itself to replace Feli De, as it directed the nasties to the glade in the first place.
>>
>>48718420
That's not how Ravenloft works. Hate to spoil your plans.
>>
>>48718440
Read the fucking manual holy christ
>>
>>48718420
Your plan is dumb and you should feel dumb
>>
>>48718561
>>48718583
That's fine - it was just an idea lol.
The game will probably just end in Strahd cornering the party somewhere, with every village across Barovia having gone up in flames.
>>
File: wfobEla.jpg (94KB, 499x403px) Image search: [Google]
wfobEla.jpg
94KB, 499x403px
>>48718571
>>
File: 5e kuo-toa.jpg (196KB, 800x353px) Image search: [Google]
5e kuo-toa.jpg
196KB, 800x353px
My next character is a Kuo-Toan Cleric, and my DM said I can try to homebrew a domain for the character. I want something that reflects the kind of madness found in Kuo-Toans. Any ideas for how to make this domain work?
>>
>>48718596
Why would Strahd burn down his own villages
>>
File: Z1vXvXO.png (137KB, 312x197px) Image search: [Google]
Z1vXvXO.png
137KB, 312x197px
>>48718638
Well.
Good luck.
>>
>>48718638
Yeah Knowledge domain
>>
>>48718596
Why are you posting all this stuff here if you're mid-campaign?
>>
>>48718680
He's not the one burning them. The villages have burnt themselves so far. First the village of Barovia, and then Velaki. We're heading toward some tower (which will probably also burn) and then Kresk (which will also probably burn) next.

>>48718696
Is there some reason I wouldn't want to talk about a game I'm enjoying? You don't have to listen or respond if you're not interested m8. This ain't in person, and I'm not talking to anyone in particular.
>>
>>48718714
Why are you burning down villages

And I wonder why your DM let you destroy vellaki when it has 24 guards, 50 commoner militia and cr 5 iznek strazni
>>
>>48718686
There's an adventure I ran a few months ago that dealt with Kuo-Toans worshiping one of the PCs. Each day the character would change in a new way (Carapace shell, eye stalks, can speak undercommon, etc.). I'd like to try to toss in something like that, except maybe make it so that the process takes much longer and possibly have it only be for inanimate objects until level 17, when it animates and becomes your own personal little avatar for your "deity". Before that it would basically be a ribbon, or perhaps a totem that provided minor benefits or something.

Here's the adventure, in case you wanted to have a look http://www.dmsguild.com/product/171229/Fishing-for-Gods-in-Strades-Gallows?sorttest=true

And I'm just throwing ideas at the wall right now, so I'm open to any suggestions or criticisms.
>>
>>48718740
We haven't burnt shit. It's the villagers. First there was some witch-hunt when there were two consecutive burgermasters killed, which was blame on witch-craft and child-stealers. We never witnessed anything because we were evacuating with Ireena, but we saw the smoke in the distance.

Next was Velaki, in which cultists took over the town after Izek was assassinated (by us, but I don't think anyone really knew that since we were covert as fuck) and we rescued Ireena from him.

Since then we've been around Velaki, but have decied not to go in since there are giant billowing smoke clouds coming from there.
Sad.

Oh well! Next!
>>
>>48715361
A ram and some thrown weapons
>>
>>48715495
Better get some heavy thrown weapons then
>>
>>48718638
Some Quick homebrew, probably not great but something to work with.

Madness Domain

Spells
1st Command, Dissonant Whispers
3rd Crown of Madness, Enthrall
5th Fear, Hypnotic Pattern
7th Compulsion, Confusion
9th Contact Other Plane, Geas

1st Acolyte of Madness
1 walock cantrip of choice
Proficiency in one of Arcana, Deception, Religion

2nd Channel Divinity: Zealous Charge
Allys within 30ft gain (cleric level + wis mod) temp HP

6th Denounce
When you deal damage with a cantrip to Large or smaller creature you can push 10 ft away

8th Potent Spellcasting
add wis mod to cleric cantrips

17th Utter Madness
action, Enemies within 30ft roll on madness table
Long rest reset
>>
>>48718858
hola
>>48714012
>>
>>48718858
Should specify I mean the short term madness table on page 259~ of the dmg
>>
>>48718872
He wanted a Domain, not a Patron.
>>
>>48718895
fliff fluff bananza
>>
>>48718858
This is actually pretty good for a quick concept. Makes me think of the Arcana domain, but Warlock-themed instead of wizard.

>>48714012
I like this too. If I decide to do a Warlock instead of a Cleric I may use this.

Also, I realized that my character's deity could just be his spellcasting focus; a little totem that he's really proud of or something.
>>
>>48718935
>Also, I realized that my character's deity could just be his spellcasting focus
Some DMs might go for "magic comes from faith, not an actual deity", and that would be fine. But keep in mind if your magic is so intimately tied up in whatever your faith is in you might feasibly have a lot of trouble casting were it taken from you. Perhaps worse than a wizard does without their spellbook, given they at least retain the spells they'd memorized rather than losing that object of faith which they believe their power derives.
>>
>>48718955
>But keep in mind if your magic is so intimately tied up in whatever your faith is in you might feasibly have a lot of trouble casting were it taken from you.

I'm okay with this. It could be pretty fun to see a slippery spear-wielding fish-man go crazy to save his God from the hands of some heathen.
>>
>>48718858
How would the level 6 features interact with booming blade? Would that just be a free movement trigger?

You should clarify which madness table since there's 3 of them (I'm guessing it's short term). I like the idea, but there should at least be a save or something since a lot of those would auto-win an encounter
>>
>>48718935
Cheers, only just occured to me its a caster cleric domain, but if you wanted to be more of a melee cleric you could make it like a zeal domain and change the spells to be more Zealot-like, change the 1st to martial weapon prof, 6th would have to be changed, 8th could be divine strike with a random element each day you roll for.
>>
>>48718973
Yeah, I think that would be fun too.
>>
>>48713238
What archetype pairs best with rogue/thief class?

What are your reasons for it being the best rogue pairing?
>>
>>48713349
The decrypt doesn't work.
>>
>>48718995
I fail to understand your question entirely, given thief *IS* and archetype *OF* the rogue class.
>>
>>48718995

Once more, please.
>>
>>48718995
Life domain for clerics. It's just such a fun combination to me, and with the Dungeon Delver feat you can make a character that's spent their whole life training just to hunt treasure with a group of adventurers. Or if you want just the feel of a treasure hunter, Knowledge Domain or Divination Wizard work well.
>>
>>48719010
>>48719018
>>48719027
I mean if you were a rogue going on an adventure what kind of adventurer would make for the best two man team to complement a rogues skills?
>>
>>48719114
Trickery cleric.
>>
>>48719114
battlemaster fighter
>>
>>48714890
Probably way too late to get it, but story time?
>>
>goblin/orc army sneaking through the forest
>party spots it
>waits until nightfall
>coordinated stealth mission where they light their homes on fire and literally light the fucking forest on fire
>Party kills whatever orcs are trying to escape, mothers, children, wounded, no fucks given
>Capture orc leader
>Keep him chained up in their keep
>Fighter is an ex-spec ops leader
>Cuts off pieces of the Orc every single day just because he can

My party are a bunch of inhuman wild animals I fucking love it.

My party is filled with a bunch of
>>
>>48719149
I'm playing a meek and somewhat cowardly character. Strahd visited him one night and said he'd let him leave Barovia if he brought Ireena to him. He likes everyone in the party, but quakes in his neutral-aligned boots at the horrors he's encountered and that he keeps encountering in this godsforsaken land. He's been sending intel to Strahd about the party's movements, and one night when they're out on the road with Ireena in tow, he shows up with some other baddies and a fight breaks loose. My character literally cowers behind a tree the whole time, not wanting to assist for fear of provoking Strahd's ire but at the same time feeling absolutely awful that what's happening is happening to his comrades.
In the end his abject fear wins out, and Strahd manages to catch Ireena and ride away with the help of another charmed party member.
Strahd swears vengeance against the remaining party members as he gets away. My guy is so self-concerned about his own hide that he's probably apt to help Strahd destroy the party if Strahd or direct agents of Strahd come to get them at this point.
Feels.
Bad.
Man.

I knew I should played a good aligned character.
>>
>>48719123
>>48719133
Can you elaborate and tell me why you think so?
>>
>>48719238
Read first level Trickery cleric feature senpai.
+ spells.
>>
>>48719238
Battle Master because he can give the rogue more turns to do things and survive making sneak attacks a easy. The rogue hops in and out of melee range being a nuisance, and if the enemy tries to escape, the fighter gets to hit him even more.

Also, I imagine it to be a lot like the Rush Hour movies if they decide to be buddies and good guys.
>>
>>48719210
This is the kinda sorry bastard that would get his own mini-Domain in the Ravenloft setting where he would "win" but be perpetually tortured with his failings forever.
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 640x1136px
What does this mean? Can i spam domain spells? And when i lvl up i choose any new spells i get for that level outside the domain?
>>
>>48719286
Yeah - I'm definitely playing the long game with him. He's probably *never* going to directly oppose the party unless maybe they were in the final confrontation (which I expect is supposed to be in Ravenloft Castle?) so that we can all play through the whole campaign, but unless circumstances dramatically change such that he thinks the party/someone else can keep him safe in that hellhole, he's probably gonna keep assisting Strahd who very obviously seems like the greater power.
Feeeeels bad.
>>
>>48719313
Your domain spells are always prepared for you, on top of the cleric spells you can normally prepare (cleric level + Wis modifier).
>>
>>48713363
These are exactly my two favorite archetypes. We should be friends.
>>
>>48719340
But if i use the domain spells do i consume a slot. Or does it have its own uses.
>>
>>48719373
Casting a spell always consumes a slot.
>>
>>48719373
Yes, you still have to use your spell slots to cast domain spells. They're just always prepared for you.
>>
>>48715364
Have you ever played a melee character without mobile?
Even worse, a dwarf and playing with encumbrance?

You can wind up at 15' movement speed pretty easily, making mobile necessary.
>>
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?459300-Fifth-Age-A-hard-science-fiction-5e-conversion

Anyone else seen this? What do we think? I'm very unsure myself about the ten-level classes and the exact Racial abilities. Anyone have some experience with this?
>>
>>48719404
I played a melee character without mobile.

A monk.
>>
>>48713238
>>48719444
Speaking of monk!
What should I do for my good sir monk's level 8 ASI?
He already has 20 dexterity, and is sitting at a solid 16 wisdom too. He has Resilient (Wisdom) from being human too, since the game is stopping around 10 or so.

So what I'm comparing is:
+2 to wisdom
Lucky
Mage Slayer
Sentinel
Mobile

The decisions are real.
>>
File: shiba pfffbbtbt.jpg (143KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
shiba pfffbbtbt.jpg
143KB, 640x480px
Mega-anon here.

I've broken down and decided to add a folder to the Mega dedicated to third-party material. This will be organized by publisher (Kobold Press, Sasquatch Game Studio, etc.) and will, like the DMs Guild trove, be dependent on community additions outside of what I find.

I've got Tome of Beasts, some Necromancer Games stuff I downloaded ages ago, and I'm currently cleaning all the Primeval Thule 5e stuff that someone threw up age and ages ago (locked and still watermarked, bless his poor soul).
>>
It's looking like for story reasons my sorcerer will start leaning awfully towards necromancy.

Is there a reason sorcerers are so limited on necro spells? From what I can see your options are:

Chill Touch
False Life
Ray of Sickness
Blindness/Deafness
Blight
Circle of Death
Eyebite and
Finger of Death

You lose all the necromancy spells that make necromancers necromancy, and I see no reason why a sorcerer couldn't do any of them.
>>
>>48719628
It's not a school of magic living things naturally have a propensity for, and sorcerers are living fonts of magic power.

Wizards can work necromancy through intricate study and experimentation with the forces of life and death, while clerics can have domain over such power through their deities.
>>
File: 1446696995038.png (37KB, 171x182px) Image search: [Google]
1446696995038.png
37KB, 171x182px
>>48719493
just take mobile and go fast
>>
>>48719653
>>48719628
I think it's more that sorcerers have access to simpler magics, and the fun necromancy has that tricky design thing going on. If there were more necro spells that just dealt with unleashing large amounts of negative energy sorcerers would probably do better with it.
>>
Has anyone gotten Ireena to the pool in Krezk where her soul can escape? Is that supposed to be permanent?
>>
>>48719503
Can you see about getting Tome of Lairs from Kobold Press? The pitch interested me.
>>
File: 1383004897328.png (360KB, 500x322px) Image search: [Google]
1383004897328.png
360KB, 500x322px
>>48719714
That would be funny indeed, but he already moves faster than almost anything left in the game.

>>48719720
Yeah - most necromancy is intricate and not intuitive in magical design at all.
>>
>>48719653
>>48719720

I suppose that makes sense.
Kinda disappointing, though, especially given they've got access to things like animate objects, teleportation circle etc, which I imagine would be complicated too.
>>
>>48719828
The sorcerer spell list is not well comprised at all.
>>
>>48719828
Yeah I don't think they should get those either. Rather, there needs to be a number of sorcerer only spells.
>>
>>48719503
You tryin to give me an erection anon?
>>
>>48719842
Yeah, I'm becoming increasingly aware of this. I was already sad about the lack of heat metal, and the more I look the more issues the list has.

At least wild magic is super fun.
>>
>>48719721
As far as I know, yes, it's permanent.
Basically it's allowing her to die peacefully, finally reunited with her true love and more importantly finally permanently out of Strahd's reach forever, screwing him out of the one thing he's desired but could never truly have.

It's hard as hell to get there though because the hints that you can even do that are few and far between.
>>
>>48720092
>At least wild magic is super fun.
I know some people who thought it would be stupid but our part Sorc has boatloads of fun with all the crazy shit that happens when she casts a spell.

Random rolling charts are always super fun after all.
>>
>>48719320
The final confrontation with Strahd happens MOST OFTEN in Ravenloft, but the campaign is so loosely constructed that at this point I've GMed three separate groups three separate games of it and shit all turned out way differently each time.

I loved the look on the player's faces when they realized that "crazy Wizard fucker" they kept running into on/near the mountain was Mordenkainen himself during one game and how he ended up becoming their ally, albiet a somewhat cautious one.
>>
>>48720107
It's saved us from a TPK, killed our rangers owl, given me a number of plot hooks (I died and got reincarnated as a female half elf, so trying to fix that, and the looking towards necromancy) and whatever else.

It's the Class of Many Things and I love it. Works really well with my character being a bit of a coward, too.
>>
>>48720197
>It's saved us from a TPK, killed our rangers owl, given me a number of plot hooks (I died and got reincarnated as a female half elf, so trying to fix that, and the looking towards necromancy)

Okay, I GOTTA hear these stories.
>>
>>48713238
spellsword, hexblade, anything that uses melee and magic.
>>
>>48720200

>>48720200
As a mini-boss was about to down us (level 2 at the time, so not too hard) I accidentally summoned a unicorn.

During a different fight the pet owl had gotten a little damaged, when he failed a save on my fireball. He's since been replaced with a fox.

During the first major boss fight I got a WM surge where if I went down I'd get reincarnated. Random attacks kept finding me (GM was open rolling to prove it was random) so I went down, and kept getting hit to fail 2 saves, before nat 1ing to finish me off. GM wanted races only appropriate to the area/campaign, so had a custom table. It was heavily weighted towards staying human male, with 10% chance each of half elf and female. I landed on the 1% chance of female half elf.

Then the final one is just after repeatedly draining life from people my guy has been talking with powerful people about it, and has been subtly steered towards necromancy, and even potential lichdom.

This doesn't even touch on stuff like the feather beard, turning into a manlet before giant, hoing bald a few times etc
>>
>>48720281
Uh...what did the unicorn do?
>>
File: repair.png (10KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
repair.png
10KB, 256x256px
Can a rock gnome use Mending and Prestidigitation instead of the shitty 3 hour daily repair time for their useless clockwork creations?
>>
New thread: >>48720447
>>48720447
>>48720447
>>48720447
>>48720447
>>
ACTUAL New Thread >>48720502
Ignore the troll, it's that same "fox lady" retard again. He even posted on the proper new thread with something he tried to start it's own thread for with something about high-heeled characters, so it's definitely a troll.

An unimaginative one at that.
Report and ignore.
>>
>>48720389
I would say yes because even being creative, its nearly useless. But raw no, most likely its also too many individual parts
>>
>>48720291
Sorry, was in a rush and forgot the ending.
Fortunately, as a generally good aligned party the unicorn attacked the baddie and ignored us, saving us.

Unlike when I summoned flumphs, that basically looked confused and defended themselves, becoming battlefield obstacles.
>>
>>48714510
Glad to help! Light armor req sounds good, unarmored AC would have to rely on a stat and I think 10+Cha+Dex would be too strong. Not sure what you mean by max number, but the hard part about making it explosive is that it becomes worse as you get higher inspiration dice. With d6 it would happen in average once per long rest when you have max Cha, and I don't think the "only once per die" limitation is needed with how few chances that is. If someone gets lucky twice I don't see much harm in allowing that. Depends on how you can solve the mentioned problem though, if you increase the range by 1 every size change (7-8 on d8, 8-10 on d10, 9-12 on d12) then the limitation is probably needed.

For Living Flame, Ember Walker isn't strong enough to be the capstone I think, it's just that it's more fit to it since most limited transformation features are there, like the pally avatars and the draconic sorcerer one. It's probably fine to have it that early, as long as you nerf the damage a bit or give something like a Con save to not catch on fire at least. My suggestion for the passive would be it being harder to escape, the fire moves after them. Something like when you do fire damage to a creature and they succeed the saving throw to halve the damage, they still take full damage, once per short rest or something. Not sure about the DC, can't read the feature but it's much better if you find a different way to balance it.
>>
Reminder that if you dislike adventurous comedy D&D in the style of games such as critical role and aquisitions inc you're a faggot.
>>
>>48719444

Mobile is fantastic for Monks though. It increases your already awesome speed to ridiculous levels and means you only have to attack an enemy to get by so you don't have to waste disengage.
>>
>>48719493

Wisdom. You want the AC and saving throw DC for your stunning strike.
>>
>>48720197

>trying to fix that

dude i'd just fucking roll with it
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.