[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3: https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 308
Thread images: 32

File: giantfir.gif (22KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
giantfir.gif
22KB, 300x360px
Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Old Thread
>>48651909

>Troll Starter Thread
>>48666081

Okay, can anyone tell me exactly what a firbolg even is in the context of D&D?
It sounds like an older edition thing, but all I can find is this Fafhrd-looking guy right here.
>>
I guess they're just half giants or something.
>>
>>48666850
Basically an Irish Hill Giant that's not stupid or (as) ugly and is generally good. Also got playable rules in 2e's Book of Humanoids.
>>
>>48666850
What class would you play as a fox girl?
>>
>>48666904
Kindergarten.
>>
>>48666893
That's kinda what I thought at first.
>>48666894
So it's a friendly-ish giant? Neat.
Also, interesting throwback to 2e stuff again.
I guess someone at WotC knows which edition was the functional golden age, rather then the best-selling age that tanked the entire RPG market.
>>
>>48666904
Sorcerer or wizard for sure!

What, you're not one of those dweebs who think a filthy noncaster kitsune is cute, are you?
>>
>>48666914
Is that a like a druid?

>>48666921
Casters are the best.
>>
>>48666904
pure cancer
>>
>>48666814
I haven't used it, but looking at it, I think I might use something similar or a variant for my next game with different names but the same basic idea.

Do you mind?
>>
Speaking about giants, from what mythology do the fomorians come from?
>>
>>48666943
Well there's always that tiny little arrow next to the post number anon.
It leads to some options, try them out.
>>
>>48666904
cancer mage
>>
>>48666928
5e has arcanaloths, those are KINDA like fox wizards, right?
>>
>>48666943
They should turn cancer into a spell!
>>
>>48666946
That's a Irish thing.
They're a race of monster-things (not always giants) that live underground and are supposed to be the first group of settlers on Ireland, driven away beneath the Earth by the second settlers, the Tuatha Dé Danann.

Think Irish Titans and you have a pretty good idea.
>>
>>48666946
irish again
>>
>>48666917
Sorry, got that Irish thing wrong, I must've thought that from the name. You can generally find the info on any older monster by looking at Monstrous Index (http://www.lomion.de/cmm/_index.php)

>Of all the giant-kin, the firbolg is the most powerful, due to natural intelligence and considerable magical power.
>Firbolgs appear to be normal humans, except that they are over 10 feet tall and weigh over 800 pounds. They wear their hair long and keep great, thick beards. Their skin is a normal fleshy pink, with any shade of hair color, although blonde and red are most common. The flesh and skin of firbolgs are unusually dense and tough. Their voices are a smooth, deep bass, thick with rolling consonants.

>Combat: Firbolgs can use any large size weapons; they disdain the use of armor or shields. Of manmade weapons, they prefer two-handed swords and halberds, both of which they may use in one hand without penalty. Weapons of their own make are double size equivalents of human weapons, for which they get a Strength bonus (19 Strength, +7 damage). However, when used with both hands, these huge weapons inflict double their normal damage, plus the Strength bonus.
>If a firbolg has one hand free, it can bat away up to two missiles per round. Large missiles, such as boulders, or those with long shafts, such as javelins and spears, can be caught if desired. A catch or bat is successful 75% of the time (6 or better on 1d20). A caught weapon may be thrown at any opponent on the next round with a -2 penalty to the attack roll, for using its off hand.
>All firbolgs have the following magical powers, usable once per day, on any round they are not engaged in melee combat: detect magic, diminution (as double the potion), fools’ gold, forget, and alter self. There is a 5% cumulative chance per member of a group that one of the firbolgs is a shaman of 1st through 7th level.

>>48666946
Irish.
>>
>>48666970
I also read how in 4e (or was it 3e?) they were meant to be the reflections of titans in the shadowfell or the feylands, how different were they in previous editions?
I also need fey related monsters suggestions for my current campaing
>>
>>48667001
>I also need fey related monsters

Fey foxboys.
>>
>>48666957
Does the left look like fox wizard to you? No.
The right is a fox wizard.
>>
>>48667014
I fap to foxgirls, but quit that shit please
>>
>>48667017
>tfw no half-arcanaloth waifu
>>
>>48667001
In 2e they were a kind of giant, just a REALLY hideous kind of giant that lived underground. So gross-looking it was a special ability or something.
In 4e they were giants but also Underdark-dwellers in the Feywild I believe, and had powerful magic at their disposal.
>>
>>48667001
did you get tome of beasts ? Its pretty loaded with dark fey and what not.
On side note I'm playing a ancient paladin and was wondering what to get for my 4th lvl ASI. Got 18 STR, 18 CON and 14 CHA. Increase my CHA ? Anything fun ?
>>
>>48666995
So they're Hill Giant-sized but with better equipment, smarter, and some magic too?
Nice, they seem like a decent race for interesting NPC's, though balancing them as PC's seems like it could be tricky,
>>
File: Happy_Reaction.gif (292KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Happy_Reaction.gif
292KB, 1024x768px
>TFW you are no longer a forever DM

I don't even care if the adventure the new DM pitched is weird ass Undertale inspired thing. or that she's a neophyte DM and starting it off at level 10.

I can finally play again. I've DM'd for like 2years and played about 40 mins worth waaay back when the beginner box first came out.
>>
>>48667065
>balancing them as PC's seems like it could be tricky

What if they were big only for the rest of the party?
>>
>>48667043
>wanting to associate with fiends
Burn in the Nine-Hells, heretic.
>>
>>48667075
It's okay anon, I know the feel!
It's nice to be able to play even with a new GM. And new doesn't mean bad, just untried.
>>
>>48667085
>arcanaloths
>neutral evil

SOUNDS FAMILIAR.
>>
>>48667078
>Entire party is consisted of goliaths, orcs, and firbolgs
They're gonna need a bigger table at the inn.
>>
>>48667075
Do you plan to play a fox wizard?
>>
>>48666904
>a disgusting human who slapped fox ear and tails on herself
>calling herself a fox

Arcanaloths have a very special torture dimension just for you.
>>
File: Jester-_Joker_Card001.jpg (148KB, 786x1210px) Image search: [Google]
Jester-_Joker_Card001.jpg
148KB, 786x1210px
>>48667109
clown wizard
>>
>>48667114

A PC I run a one-on-one game for is, in fact, a cute arcanaloth foxgirl in Gehenna.
>>
>>48667115
Is that a Wizard who is a clown or a Wizard who specializes in clowns?
>>
>>48667114
Foxes aren't that hairy. Only demons and devils have that much hair. Real fox wizards will have none of that.

>>48667115
A bit curious as to what archetype you're going with. Enchantment? Illusion?
>>
>>48667001
>dryads
>werecreatures
>eladrin (stats in DMG, just add the bonuses to generic humanoid creatures in the MM)
>sprites
>owlbears
>giant sea horses
>yetis
>unicorns
>satyrs
>deva
>centaurs
>rocs
>green hags
>animated or possessed objects/non-sentient lifeforms (i.e. flowers that use sign language, a frog that juggles insects, that chair that bucks if you sit on it)
>pretty much any plant shit (see above)
>pixies
>blink dogs
>displacer beasts

etc etc as long as they're weird and mystical acid trip shit
>>
>>48667139
Hags are real good in general.
Just go full Grimm's Fairy Tales with them.
>>
>>48667122
Holy shit, I think I just figured out my next villain.
>>
>>48667137
>Only demons and devils have that much hair. Real fox wizards will have none of that.

How do foxgirl wizards grow such fluffy tails while having no hair on their bodies?
>>
>>48667156
Because they're real fox girls and not fake ones.
>>
>>48667165
Do they shave, wax, or thread?
>>
Is it possible to do Castle Ravenloft in one 6 hour session?
>>
>>48667149
Night Hags are specifically stated to not exist in the Feywild though.
>>
>>48667168
No need for any.

>>48667170
Probably not.
>>
>>48667170
You mean the 1e module?
Could be tricky, but with a smart enough and group that acts fast enough and doesn't waffle on decisions and acts decisively it could be done, sure.
>>
>>48667173
No, but that's just one of three types.
>>
>>48667122
yes

>>48667137
not sure yet. Mostly just amused by the idea of wizard casting spells apeing clown/mime/jester mannerisms.

miming the use of a hammer when casting mend
acid splash comes from a flower in his shirt
shocking grasp joybuzzer etc

its look a goofy campaign so he should fit in.
>>
What the shit is happening to these generals? Like every other post in this thread is a fucking fox person
>>
>>48667203
It's literally just one or two trolls.
Likely one just responding to himself over and over again due to the regularity of the posts.
Best to report or just hide and ignore them and then don't respond if reporting isn't your thing.
>>
>>48667198
That sounds fun m8. If that's how you're going to fluff your spells you could probably take any archetype and make it fit desu.

>>48667203
We're talking about how fox characters fit into games - their favored classes, their aesthetics, and associated themes.
Would you like to join?
>>
>>48667198
I think I might make a villain who's an Entertainer backround Illusionist Wizard (NPC but still more or less based off the class) for fun; a serious villain, but "weird magic clown" is not a particular angle I've used on my D&D players before.

I'll keep adding misleading stuff, making them think it's the ringmaster, but he'll just be a bound demon or something.
>>
>>48667216
I don't really see the common DnD link here. What you're describing is more suited to a furry chat room or /pfg/ or something
>>
>>48667242
They got kicked out of /pfg/ apparently, at least for now.
>>
File: can i shitpost too.png (1MB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
can i shitpost too.png
1MB, 1280x1024px
>>48667137
>>48667165
>>48667178
I'll go for catgirls then.
>>
>>48667242
Of course it has a D&D link.
Here, we'll make it more obvious - any fox girl race ought to have dancing lights as a cantrip.
What do you think?

>>48667251
That art is so awful.
>>
>>48667249
We might need to cash in our hotpockets for a favor
>>
>>48667261
I don't mind.
I may not play PF and might not go to /pfg/, but they deserve to be as free of this shit as anyone does and enjoy playing the system they like as much as anyone else without this nonsense.
>>
>>48667257
I think you should leave.
>>
>all this shitposting

The Arcanaloths and the Night Hags did this.
>>
>>48667279
Definitely night hags.
Arcanaloths wouldn't do it for free.
>>
>>48667216
>>48667257
What's the best homebrew kitsune race for 5e?
>>
>>48667276
Why should I care what you think?

Fox girls as a race should definitely get a +2 to Charisma as their racial bonus.
>>
>>48667291
You should probably leave.
>>
>>48667275
Frankly it's mostly just refreshing to know they were shoo'd out instead of it just spreading like a fucking plague. Here's hoping he'll just get banned soon I guess
>>
>>48667291
I haven't seen any homebrew - I might take it on myself to come up with one. I think racial spells and +2 to Charisma are musts.
>>
>>48667284
Can we make arcanaloths cute?
>>
>>48667299
I've noticed bans for trolls on /tg/ have been more common of late as long as people actually make the attempt to report said posts actually.
I guess it makes sense; the people doing the banning aren't psychically going to know who is trolling or who might be trolling without them. Kinda need a laser pointer aiming in the general direction.
>>
>>48667303
Why not just reflavor a Devil's Tongue tiefling?
>>
Speaking of shitposting, how does telepathy work? Is there a limit on how quickly and how much information can be sent?
>>
>>48667320
Much too lazy - that simply won't do.
Also I will not associate divine fox girls with demons and devils. No no that won't do.
>>
>>48667330
Is that a spell or special ability or what?
>>
>>48667330
I usually hold it to normal communication time rules. You telepathizing images and words doesn't mean the person can necessarily process them any faster than they otherwise might.
>>
>>48667344
I was thinking of the Warlock's Old Ones feature and Ghostwise Halfling Silent Speech.
>>
>>48667334
>Also I will not associate divine fox girls with demons and devils. No no that won't do.

Even if they're neutral evil like arcanaloths?
>>
>>48667330
Unless specifically stated information is conveyed normally and at normal speed I think. Like Obi-Wan and Luke.
You want faster then that, best use a more flexible system I should think.
>>
>>48667378
In both cases it's just "head-talking" right now.
Ghostwise halfing's can basically just speak without using actual words, kinda like those savage halfling-sized ElfQuest elves come to think of it.
>>
>>48667387
I think if you're reading something you could transmit information faster, but if you're trying to speak a command then it would work as normal.
>>
>>48667380
All fox girls are good. If you think they are otherwise you have been fooled by their clever ruse.
>>
>>48667400
That kinda makes sense I guess.
Like "reading aloud" as fast as you can inside your head so that other people "hear" it.
>>
>>48667408
What background should a foxgirl have?
>>
>>48667419
That would require you to plan ahead with flashcards or something but it might be a fun way to cheese the system without pissing off your DM.
>>
>>48667443
Waifu

Feature: Can cause erections without making men feel like pedos. However, doesn't stop others from judging you.
Lifestyle: Does it for free
Personality: Ahgoo
Bound: to 2d
Flaw: Is a shit
>>
is this fox thing just one incredibly sad anon or what?
>>
>>48667551
I guess it's possible there's two of them springing off of each other, but that's probably it
>>
>>48667551
One or two.
My hunch says one, but there's not enough gap between the posts for it to be just one sometimes.
>>
>>48667573
>>48667600
maybe it's one dude using a phone and his computer or something

either way I don't understand, did someone set him off saying foxgirls are shit or something?

because foxgirls are shit
>>
>>48667640
Which is why you should play foxboys instead!
>>
>>48667640
Someone from /pfg/ said they kicked all the guys like him out of there. One or two is likely looking for somewhere else to troll now.
Hide, report, or just ignore him. Doesn't matter which.
>>
>>48667676
but it's not even trolling. it's just pure shitposting for literally no reason

what would drive a man to be like that? years of self-imposed social exile?
>>
File: uRys73o.gif (461KB, 269x202px) Image search: [Google]
uRys73o.gif
461KB, 269x202px
>>48667763
Who cares.
>>
File: bL5BOx6.gif (716KB, 250x240px) Image search: [Google]
bL5BOx6.gif
716KB, 250x240px
>>48667820
I am just interested in the nature of a man
>>
File: 1385441779340.gif (2MB, 288x216px) Image search: [Google]
1385441779340.gif
2MB, 288x216px
>>48667860
I just want to talk about D&D :(
>>
>>48667763
Who even cares? I certainly don't care enough to validate his presence by talking to or about him.
>>48667903
So do it.
It's a bit late now but someone will get around to answer or talking back sooner or later.
>>
>>48667903
>>48667931
How should an arcanaloth tiefling be roleplayed?
>>
>>48666814
I haven't run any longer games yet, but if I do I'll be using it, it's pretty neat. I start at level 3 so I think I'd start using it at 5+ and take it one step down so two high level characters completely exhaust the list. Higher level characters in general should be separate I feel, if they start with some magical items and stuff just getting 10 different tool proficiencies / languages etc. feels a bit weird. For those middle levels it seems really neat though.
>>
>a quarter of this thread is some cancerous attention whore faggot replying to unrelated posts with fox pictures
Guess I'll come back tomorrow
>>
I need some music to play during fights that fits a gothic horror setting. I've been using some stuff from Midnight Syndicate and the Bloodborne soundtrack so far, but I'd like a little more variety.

Anybody have any ideas?
>>
File: image.png (665KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
665KB, 640x1136px
>>
>>48668806
Castlevania sounds like it would fit, maybe Legacy of Kain but I haven't played any of them. Also good is
http://tabletopaudio.com/
>>
>>48668812
nice, i'll wear that while watching the D&D pony episode coming out in a couple weeks.
>>
>>48669496
>lawful evil
Good taste.

I'd probably say devils.
They're clearly evil and have certain sorts of weaknesses and strengths. They've an interesting system where they'd rather corrupt people than outright murder people.. Half the time. They're also pretty easy to fit in in the right places.

Everybody always mistakes them for demons.
>>
>>48668812
Makes sense since they are owned by Hasbro
>>
>>48668806

Resident Evil 4 has some nice ambient stuff, especially the Merchants theme, tense music pacing too.
>>
Rolled 7 + 4 (1d20 + 4)

Posting updated Monk archetypes for critique. R8 h8 whatevs.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1-L3BTod

Way of the Red Fist
> Animal styles based kung fu
> Intent is to keep up with martials at later levels while also providing plenty of playstyles in terms of combat

Way of the Mystic
> Arcane Monk
> spell table is similar to Eldritch Knight / Arcane Trickster
>>
Does anybody have the Tome of Beasts up for download yet?
>>
>>48670090
I know they have done it (because I DLed it from there), but I don't have the link handy. Be patient, someone else surely has it still.
>>
>>48669834
Red Fist doesn't fit in my setting but I may include elements of it, there's some cool stuff here.
>Your stance ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if you lose concentration.
Is written twice, and I'm not entirely sure concentration is necessary. If included, you should mirror the wording from other features that use concentration to explain it, i.e. "must maintain concentration during that time, as if you were casting a spell." Generally stances seem like without higher level features having good synergy or buffing them, they fall out of focus and while they shouldn't scale badly, they just become part of the archetype instead of being the signature ability. With the late-game save buffs monks get, concentration seems like it would be a lot of rolls for little effect, I'd probably remove the concentration at level 11+.

Wolf Fangs is a bit out of line with the rest, and with stunning strike and other things that apply on hit (leopard tail especially benefits from a higher roll on a single attack) it seems like it would be preferred in most situations. Mantis Bite is probably my favorite tech, it seems fun.

>Butterfly Palm. Whenever (you) make a melee attack against an enemy creature, you can spend 2 ki point(s)...
Lacking a "you" and "s".
>Dragon Fist ... you can use your reaction and spend 4 ki points to launch a counterattack. When you use this feature, the creature must make a Dexterity saving throw
I don't think you need to include the "when you use this feature", just say "the creature must make a Dexterity saving throw".
>Crane Stance ... make a single melee attack against an enemy creature within reach until end of turn.
I don't think "until the end of turn" is needed here, and if it is it should be "your turn".
>Phoenix Falls ... radiant damage and become blinded for 1 round.
Should say "until the start/end of your next turn".
>>
>>48670090
>>48670249
>>48654047

>>48670255
Mystic doesn't have any spell progression ATM, which I don't think is intended. I like the rituals. Pierce the Soul seems odd, as I imagine them using similar spells to EKs, not spells the wizard was casting with better DC 5 levels ago. What spells/playstyle is this intended for? The first and last feature are a bit lazy, and I think it limits you a lot to not get the last one earlier. Flurry is a signature ability and casting a spell then making some quick jabs feels more in line flavor-wise than attacking and then instead of kicking them you BB/GFB (blade ward and true strike would be cool here but it still costs ki and BB/GFB is so good). This is nice though, definitely a start but it needs a bit of work to get right.

As for Samurai, I'm the type that thinks this should just be a fighter or, if you want magic, paladin. Gaining proficiencies as a non-1st level archetype is a bit awkward, but probably unavoidable. 3 ki for going first might be right, it feels a bit weak but at times a quick stunning strike against an enemy wizard or similar can be very good so this depends on playtesting I think. Stopping to cast Bless, while it is a good deal for 2 Ki, doesn't seem right for a samurai. Not sure if there's a better spell though, Healing Word and Shield of Faith aren't quite right either. Compelled Duel might be more fitting than Divine Favor as that seems very magical, which I don't think should be the goal because of the paladin existing. I feel like Sword Wave should be possible to power up, but otherwise the last two features are fair.
>>
>>48670440
>As for Samurai,
Appreciate the input! I actually have a paladin and a fighter archetype that approach the samurai differently as well, but those are in different documents. This is more of a ronin / non-armored "mythological" samurai, as it were.

As far as Mystic, yeah it's completely unfinished. I just haven't charted out the spell slots, and it's very much so a wip.

>>48670255
Making a number of wording changes now, and even some other stuff mechanically, will repost shortly.
>>
>>48670476
Monk is the only type of samurai class that would 2hand a longsword reliably, so it does fit in that way. That makes me want to read more Lone Wolf and Cub, with its badass non-armored samurai. I would only have 1 archetype for it in a generic setting but if they're a bit deal etc. then I get that.
>>
>>48666995
They were adapted in 3.5 as well, but hmm...

Let's take a moment to look at existing races to figure out how they'll do Firbolgs.

Like, there are aspects of Dwarf, Goliath, and Half Orc which I could see as nifty and interesting mechanics in 5E for these 2E abilities.

More so, a Firbolg Magic Feat to offer some similar value of the spell like abilities presented here.
>>
>>48670591
So, a trait like the Goliath Trait allowing them to use their reaction, if they are free handed, to reduce damage from a ranged weapon attack by 1d12+con. This makes it a bit weaker and focused compared to stones endurance so they can still have more cool stuff.

They should count as large size so no need for powerful build

From Half Orc the savage attacks crit bonus as an enhancement on attack damage to better represent their bonuses to using two handed weapons?

I'm just thinking out loud.
>>
>>48670663
>if they are free handed
Seems a bit awkward, I'd at least allow using it while using a 2H weapon, to have some feel of that innate monkey grip and it goes well with the ruling that you can hold a 2hander in one hand while doing something with the other.
>>
>>48670711
A fair reasoning.
>>
File: CodQiX0WcAEfmKF.jpg-large.jpg (162KB, 800x1015px) Image search: [Google]
CodQiX0WcAEfmKF.jpg-large.jpg
162KB, 800x1015px
Anyone seen or have any new on Cubicle 7's Middle Earth 5e book?

I guess they were handing out preview booklets and had advanced copies at their booth this weekend.
>>
How would I go about making something similar to Cu Chulainn, Warp Spasm and all?

Would I have to talk to my DM about the effects of such a powerful and transforming rage?
>>
>>48671507
Some kind of Barbarian?
>>
So I'll be finishing up running Out of the Abyss soon, and my wife wants to take a turn running a game. She wants to run Curse of Strahd with the Planeshift: Innistrad book. In our current game (both games have just me, her, and our roommate) the players are running multiple characters, for CoS we are doing gestalt. We each talked her into letting play non-humans. I'm playing a Shifter Barbarian (Wolf totem)/Blood Hunter (Order of the Lycan), Inquisitor. And he is playing an Aasimar, Paladin (Oath of Devotion)/Warlock (Undying Light), Acolyte. We both have detailed backstories but damn if we don't come off as all kinds of special snowflakey. But I figure a gestalt character M:tG campaign is the perfect place for it.

Also how did a board on 4chan become the best D&D online forum? The official one was dog shit long before it shut down. So is EN World and GitPG. And goddamn the facebook group is just a circle jerking dumpster fire.
>>
>>48671575
>facebook group
Did not know that existed, not even going to look it up. I think it's because only hardcore nerds would be interested in discussing it, so it doesn't overflow with retards like /v/, and because no one really has much more authority than others, everyone more or less is a player and there's not put artificial weight on some posts. Reddit is nice for submitting but when it has no mechanism for updating it doesn't even work that well for homebrew, so it's quite shit when it comes to having any sort of discussion. Anything good on /dnd/ starts off with a post "my wife made this goblin mug!" and then some good stuff can happen in the comments.
>>
File: 51YOGnjYqgL.jpg (50KB, 383x500px) Image search: [Google]
51YOGnjYqgL.jpg
50KB, 383x500px
Anyone know if this is worth picking up?

Or can link me to a download of it?
>>
>>48671653
I wound up leaving the facebook group after I made a google drive folder with the free material in it (UA, basic rules, srd, the promoted free stuff from dm's guild, the stuff the d&d tumblr and dragon+) and the admins took it down because "you don't have permission to distribute" and "the uploders could still make revenue from pay what you want". This was on top of other retardation that was going on.
>>
I'm planning on running a campaign where the main conflict is between settlers and the natives of the land. I wanted to give the players the option to pick who they wanted to side with but a friend of mine who's a more experienced DM says it's a bad idea because the players might want to pick different sides and I'm encouraging PvP. He says I should either ditch that conflict or make it part of the background and make the campaign about something else. What do you guys think?
>>
>>48671507
Barbarian.
The Riastrad is just a rage with a visual motif attached.
>>
>>48672670
I think the better option is to discourage PvP and encourage them to stick together.
>>
>>48672670
You can pitch it to them and they can choose which side the party will be on, then of course make their beliefs waver and create some conflict there, but not enough to make any of them switch sides or anything. I have a campaign starting tomorrow where the players are citizens of a prominent civilization and they will go out and "negotiate"/take over other towns and tribes and stuff, most likely some questionable stuff if you were neutral but as brainwashed worshippers of the sun god it's not something I expect them to actually divide over.
>>
What's with all the deleted images?
>>
>>48672670
Don't force them to take a side.
In fact, make sure the party can bond with each other before they pick a side.

The party won't PvP with itself if they all have strong sides.

If the party doesn't come together very well, don't introduce them into a very 'either or' situation. Give them some smaller decisions instead before that. Make them decide over minor issues that won't make them fight each other.
>>
>>48673523
Someone was shitposting anime fox girls. That's why there are two 5e threads because the other one's OP was a fox girl shitpost.
>>
Do you write down anything for your campaigns? I keep it all in my head but I might start writing it down to show to people.
>>
>>48674468
I keep it all in my head since my players are all autists who take super detailed notes and are good about reminding me about things in private.
>>
>>48674468
Writing stuff down after you say it is good if only to help remember what it is you said or set up.
>>
>>48669704
I. Love. Devils.
They're so mighty and dignified. I've always portrayed then as NPCs with 'just the right' thing for the party's needs at the time. These gifts are never the maguffin, but a short cut to it. Of course theres a devious catch to these easy routes that turn up far later in the campaign. Then you can properly introduce the devil's agents and minions as enemies.

Like you said, clear theme, strengths, and weaknesses. They're easily hateable in that they themselves are sadists. Great enemy.
>>
>>48675096
y'all need jesus
>>
>>48675096
And in the end when a party member makes a contract with one for great power but later gets screwed over when they are forced to do something, you can always say "Well, what did you think would happen? Hell would give you free superpowers?"
Sounds pretty cruel, but they should know what they're getting in for. Punish the power-hungry, and make them decide if they keep their power (And piss off a lot of people) or set out to exorcise themself (and end up fighting a devil).
Typically a devil of a certain sin will only contract to someone already falling into that sin is what I'd do. Character that always gets angry and shoots and gets angry before knowing what's going on? Hi, wrath here, thought you could use a little pick-me-up. Low charisma character keeps flirting? Demon of lust here to give you a clearly really nice deal to look fabulous and blatantly mind control all those women until you realize what a monster you've become.
And if they stop and say "Well, I have the power, I'm going to use it for good and stop being so sinful?" Well, then. Mr. No-longer-lusty might find they start waking up with random (even married) women who seem really keen on him all the time. Probably with only small clues as to what's happening.

Fun all the way from A to B.
>>
>>48673909
Thanks for that new thread BTW, whichever anon did it.
>>
>>48676390
Welcome anon.
I was also reporting all the fox girl posts, but I believe that was the work of more then one person to draw mod attention and thus at least one or two more people deserve the credit.
>>
>player loses a char to CoS Dark Gifts
>another dies from the downsides of a Dark Gift
>gets buttmad and has a sulk but STILL continues to use dark gifts

y tho

He also threw his dice across the room when the spectre was immune to necrotic and we are all pretty sure he is being loose with his number of spell slots
>>
>>48672670
Ok but if you don't pick settlers then you are a retard
>>
>>48677200
Give them
>dark gift: get the fuck out of here

I can understand if they kept using direct necrotic attacks over and over with either encouragement to keep doing so or nothing clearly suggesting they should stop.
>>
File: 1394276077150.jpg (70KB, 601x958px) Image search: [Google]
1394276077150.jpg
70KB, 601x958px
>>48677200
What part of "Dark Gift" do they not understand? It's not a sexy black stripper in an oversized cake.
>>
so is the mounted fighter feat a mandatory thing if you pick a paladin?
>>
>>48677606
not at all. maybe if you plan on being mounted primarily, or even just most of the time. but paladins are already great without mount cheese.

that being said, if you mount cheese, why not cheese harder with that feat
>>
>>48677606
If you really want your DM to send you through a swamp it's mandatory.
>>
>>48677425
Maybe they were thinking of recieving the "Black Gift" instead. Totally understandable mistake.
>>
File: goose2.jpg (153KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
goose2.jpg
153KB, 450x600px
My current group consists entirely of new players. I'm the DM, and, while I'm not new to D&D, I am new to 5th Edition.

Would you recommend those spell cards from GaleForce Nine to help the players keep track of spells? Seems a lot better than having to pass around the PHB everywhere.
>>
>>48677875
Sure. You could always just use notecards instead but if you have the money for real cards then why not
>>
>>48677875
when my group was first starting out, our D&M printed out sheets with spell info for the casters and that worked out pretty handily.
>>
File: 1446984735688.png (485KB, 1400x931px) Image search: [Google]
1446984735688.png
485KB, 1400x931px
>>48667139
Taking notes, thanks
>>48667062
>tome of beasts, is it on the MEGA? else where can i find it?
>>
>>48670852
>being able to cast fireballs in Middle Earth
I hope this book suggests that you ban all magic using classes/archetypes until a PC is level 10, and even then only let them take a single level of a magic class.
>>
>>48678267
>tome of beasts
It's not in the Mega, it's a third party thing.
>>
>>48678530
I see it was released not long ago, any sites I could find it?
>>
>>48678559
Not that I know of.
>>
>>48678559
literally this or last thread. its in one of these shitty multi threads
>>
>>48678559
>>48678723
ten second 4plebs search: https://mega.nz/#!xIcw0JrS!e_WL2JWFEU7HN0DwK69F9J9MLoe7qv69qez0lDGPWUQ

what I get for assuming you had already checked the archive
>>
>>48678159
>>48678015
>>48677875
I should also point out that these people are not native English speakers, so I thought the cards would be useful and simple for them to handle, as opposed to printing off pages straight from the PHB.
>>
>>48678977
If they struggle with English you might want to make your own cards then.
>>
>>48677200
>Character dies
>don't want to sit the rest of the adventure out so I use a dark gift
>get vulnerability to fire
>get hit with fire
>die
You're right this is really fair.
>>
>>48678805
Sorry Haven't been checking 5e threads for the past few days.
Thanks anon
>>
>>48679078
It's not supposed to be fair.
>>
>Tome of Beasts
>Tons of Fey
>Hardly any Beasts

Not that I'm complaining. I love me some Unseelie. Just seems like a bit of a misnomer.
>>
Need ideas for a puzzle:

The characters need to find a hermit in the mountains, but it's very trick to find them, they'll run in circles unless they solve the puzzle.
>>
how to build and rp a monk?

I was going to make a cleric like I typically do but I got a text from the dm sayin someone else just rolled one so I'm gonna try my hand at monk now
>>
>>48679584
Entirely depends on the character.
I'm literally running a brawling grave-robber as a monk, for instance. You're not nearly as concept-bound in 5e classes as in previous editions.
>>
>>48679584
I like to play true or robin hood good characters and typically always human though I'm not against other races.
>>
>>48679771
>>48679715
wrong reply address
>>
File: 1364117780904.jpg (90KB, 931x641px) Image search: [Google]
1364117780904.jpg
90KB, 931x641px
>>48679771
I very much tend to like playing good characters myself, but that doesn't really limit your concept by all that much.
You can play a traditional monk that lived and improved in a monastery. You can play a street brawler who just got really good at making their unarmed fighting work. You can make a showy fighter who roamed with a bard troupe acting out elaborate fight scenes.

You should pick out what your character would actually be like first senpai - "monk" + "maybe good and human" isn't terribly descriptive, ya?
>>
File: 1384674456728.jpg (131KB, 500x484px) Image search: [Google]
1384674456728.jpg
131KB, 500x484px
I heard I should be careful about what magic items i give to my players, but right now my warlock (one of the only two casters, the other being a bard) found a wand. I'm debating which wand it should be:
Wand of magic missiles
Wand of the war mage +1 (unsure about this one, eldritch blast is good enough already)
Wand of wonder (some of the spells are kinda strong but I love the idea of random effects)
I was also considering a wand and less powerful version of "ring of spell storing" so he can get more casts without having to short rest.
Are any of these too strong for a level 3 character? any other suggestions?
>>
>>48679584
I mean I'm running a Kamen Rider whenever the DM decides they want to start the game.
>>
>>48680102
Give him the Wand of Wonder or the Wand of Magic Missiles. If you go Wand of Wonders you shouldn't bother accounting for it in encounters but you really should if he gets the Magic Missile stick, because that's strong at low levels.
>>
>>48680102
you could have it be a non-recharging wand
like a wand of webs with only 10 charges or so
>>
>Players told not to open a package
>They do anyways
>Decide to curse them all
>They get odd physical traits and a sort of benefit that has a drawback that suits their character
This should be fun, but I might have to remove the curses at the end of the campaign. Hopefully they don't get too attached to the benefits.
>>
>>48680709
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRRKKKUAtoc
>>
>>48680294
Well, I was given a wand of magic missiles at an even lower level on a prior campaing (1st or 2nd level loot).
>>48680295
I considered this, I also considered that regardless of wand, it may break if overused/abused. I'm more inclined to give him a more permanent item.
>>
I am having absolutely terrible trouble the the wording on the final sentence of Mind's Eye.

The intent is for the feature to give the creature disadvantage on *any* (keyword here, because I want this to function for all rolls the target might have to make against the spell and not just the first instance of it) Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma saving throws it may make against the next spell a warlock casts that a)effects it (so that you don't have your feature fizzle if you're forced to cast a spell that doesn't effect the creature as your next spell) and b)forces one of those particular savings throws (or else you could possibly have it fizzle by activating the feature and then having your next spell that effects the creature force a physical saving throw or else one that doesn't require a saving throw at all but effects the creature anyway, like an attack roll spell).

I cannot think of a way to word it with all those qualities intact while also having it be sightly at all.
>>
>>48680856
I got given the 'robe of stars' at level 3, moving up to 4 once.

Personally I prefer to keep a large majority of items, especially low level ones, custom items. Quite often if you don't purchase the item for great expense somewhere and find the item in the middle of nowhere, there'll be something about it.
Found the item from imps? Might well have devillish magic in it that'll cause you problems.
Found it somewhere where you think other people would already have picked it up? There must be a reason.
Found a magic shield in a treasure hoard of a bunch of shield-users? There must be a reason why it's there.

I find it's good procedure to think of what the item is before they find it.

I'm also very much for items that have both positives and negatives. Shield of projectile deflection is a good example.
>>
Any neat or fun accessories that you recommend for making a better play experience? Any suggestions are helpful, e.g. cards, materials, random this-and-that.
>>
>>48682040
I feel like a retard now for not considering that.
The player got a necklace from the insides of a carrion crawler (guess it could be something that gives resistance or advantage to being poisoned)
And a wand from a bunch of fey worshipers (could be some nature or illusion related spell)
>>
If a human fucks a vampire, do they gain negative levels?
>>
>>48678469
It's pretty much a adaptation of The One Ring RPG with 5e's ruleset the press release said new Races and Classes so I'm pretty sure it isnt your standard d&d fair.

It may be a different design team but Cubicle 7 treats the Middle Earth license really well.
>>
File: where do you think we are.png (651KB, 1067x800px) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we are.png
651KB, 1067x800px
>>48682243
>negative levels
>>
>>48682457
is that not a thing anymore?
>>
>>48682593
Read the fucking book
>>
>>48682650
>player
>reading the monster manual

Sounds rude.
>>
>>48680811
It went like this
>OK guys I'm gonna make my familiar open it
>His familiar dies
>The package lets out a strange burst of magic
>All of them are physically altered and told in private about their new benefit
>They instantly regretted it
The best part is I dropped a hint that an NPC at the palace could help them and they forgot about it.
>>
>>48682681
>"tell me about thing"
>look up thing yourself
>"uh wtf that would be rude"
Read. The fucking. Book.
>>
>>48682730
No, I don't think reading the entire MM is a good idea for a player. A forum like this is able to tell him the answer without spoiling stuff his GM wouldn't want him to know.
>>
>>48682387
Cubicle 7 is about the only one to ever do Middle-Earth right in my opinion.
The One Ring doesn't just use the SETTING of Middle-Earth (and it actually does too, not adding random magic stuff everywhere and upgrading the technology to standard D&D fare rather then the vaguely extremely early medieval or migration period technology), it captures the FEEL of Middle-Earth as well, the overarching emphasis of hope vs despair and base self-interest and that everyday people struggling against something evil often means more then great heroes doing the same/
>>
>>48682784
>No
You think wrong. If you can't separate character knowledge from player knowledge you suck as a player and should tabletops entirely forever.
Swag yolo.
>>
>>48682784
you don't have Eidetic memory

it will be fine. just don't use Out of Character knowledge
>>
>>48682814
>>48682844
Even if you can completely avoid metagaming (which would be impressive) it can still ruin the surprise.

If a GM threw a black pudding at you, would you hit it with a lightning bolt? Are your in-character decisions never impacted by your mechanical knowledge? If you found a magic sword and the GM gave you the details and it turned out to be worse than what you had already, would you still use it just because it makes a bit of sense for your character?

Also, even if you can perfectly replicate what you/your character would do without that knowledge, it could still ruin the moment for you because you, knowing lightning splits puddings, would know exactly what to expect which makes the game less fun, in my eyes at least.

You aren't suggesting something like, look up in some monsters because you're a beast master/druid, you're suggesting he reads through every monster's features in search for level draining.
>>
>>48682808
Oh yeah I know I have the game as well, from what they said they're porting over systems from TOR I just really want to know what this thing ends up looking like.
>>
Anyone think that the Soul Knife would work as a fighter archetype?
>>
>>48682900
Yes - I fuck over my own characters constantly by roleplaying them to death even though I mechanically know things that would otherwise save them. Everything is fun.

You have no balls. Stop playing.
>>
>When a player gives you an idea for the campaign that you want to implement but he will see it coming
fug
>>
>>48682948
It would probably work, but a class having a built in magic item seems like it would be sort of doomed to have problems. I'm kind of a sucker for it since it's basically Emiya Shiro the class, but aside from a handful of abilities I feel like the most it offers is an attunement slot free magic item (which is already just what every +X Weapon is anyway)
>>
>>48682141
It pains me sometimes how often DMs will just roll up random loot with little regards to why it is where it is or whatever.

It's not completely crazy. Magical items are often very old made with ancients secrets, and they may well be scattered amongst many users. Still, a bit of thought other than 'You defeated the evil monster. You gain uncommon magic item!' goes a long way.
>>
File: riddle.png (15KB, 303x276px) Image search: [Google]
riddle.png
15KB, 303x276px
>when you come up with a long history explaining the life and times of a character because the inspiration struck you, but realize his placement in the world means the party can't possibly run into anything explaining his existance
>>
>>48682900
Well, if the group knew it was a black pudding, then it's fine.
That's why I allow a single free knowledge check on stuff they encounter, to see if they know what it is. Heck if they roll good enough, crit or over 30, I allow them to read the stat block unless the creature is completely unique.

Speaking of knowledge checks, what check is Ooze type? I really want to say nature.
>>
>>48683029
>Tfw doing this for the current campaign because it's designed to be like a bard is re-telling the story and exaggerating the feats of the heroes

The Barbarian didn't REALLY have the Javelin of Lightning, but the story is cooler if he did.
>>
>>48683085
Javelins of Lightning are awesome; doesn't require attuning, uncommon and does great damage.

Could make an entire mid-late character focused on them if you could craft them.
>>
>>48683076
Best I could find, oozes appear to be a natural evolution of scavenging organisms that have just evolved/mutated into much larger forms. No magical link means Arcana is out, History has far more to do with things that can actually think (though maybe famous encounters with such creatures could work...), and I don't think Religion has much to do with them at all.

I would say Nature is the best fit, though History with a higher DC could also work. Neither Arcana nor Religion seem to contribute anything, so I wouldn't give them much. Maybe how oozes can be used for magic, or [insert religious parable about the gods' chosen defeating them].
>>
>>48681032
The target has disadvantage on the next spell you cast against it
>>
>>48683020
I can imagine it being similar to the pact of the blade, with a few invocation like abilities, such as making the weapon psychic, adding your int modifier to damage, maybe some kind of once per short rest teleportation, and it starts as a d4 and slowly progress to a d8 or d10, add in that you can throw it at say level 7
>>
How do you guys handle things in treasure hoards like art items / plain jewellery / gems / etc.

Do you just convert them directly to GP on your sheet? Does your GM require you to find people willing to buy them first?
>>
File: tumblr_nzisrhi96a1tdv657o2_500.png (113KB, 500x490px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzisrhi96a1tdv657o2_500.png
113KB, 500x490px
Do you guys write long backstories (that you likely keep to yourself) or what? Long or short? Is it bad to write long ones do you think?

How in-depth do you like to make your characters?
>>
>>48683358
That says nothing about saving throws.
>>
>>48683503
Sorry

The target has disadvantage on its saving throw against the next spell you cast which targets it
>>
>>48683428
I'm not a fan of them myself. I get wanting some variety and not just tons of gold, but just like finding 239453 copper it is too annoying to be worth it. It's a bit different if they're at least slightly magical, like a painting that actually turns to look at you wherever you are, stuff that is cool and interesting enough for the players to be fine with carrying it with them into town and finding a buyer. Can also be stronger magical items that you know they don't need.

>>48683527
It should only be on mental saving throws, and it should give DA on all its saves against that spell, not just the initial one.
>>
>>48683502
I usually write a pretty short one, a paragraph or two, before playing. Then, as I play them and I get a better understanding of them, I may write more if I feel like it. My current character that I've played for a year or so has whole paragraphs just for equipment, his feelings about the other characters, his ancestors etc. My other character that I fleshed out a lot was a dwarf in Dungeon world, so I had to figure out what dwarves were like there and wrote a lot about the culture and society he was from and what role they had in the history of the place. For shorter, or more lethal, games I tend to write maybe two sentences, like "wood elf that gets lost in the visions of combat, likes drawing patterns using the others' blood and bodies, bored of his old life in the woods".
>>
>>48683549
Then write that you daft cunt
>>
>tfw my DM hates advantage and disadvantage and just assigns it based on how the fight should feel
>>
>>48683623
I'm not the OP, I tried but it didn't sound right, something like.
>The next time you cast a spell forcing the creature to make an Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma saving throw, it makes all saving throws against that spell with disadvantage.
>>
>>48683029
Well i initially wanted to make small custom items, but i lost focus along the way
>>
>>48683502
With the background mechanics I can quickly pick or roll that, then expound upon them slightly. For example, if I chose Noble I might list some family members and how I feel about them. Same with the ideals/flaws/bonds
>>
File: Traildiscoverer.jpg (135KB, 310x400px) Image search: [Google]
Traildiscoverer.jpg
135KB, 310x400px
>>48683664
Call him the "feels DM" to his face.
>>
>>48683791
I don't understand what that means, but we like it too because it makes the game feel more like a narrative that we're taking part in instead of a dice-rolling fest.
>>
>>48683799
Diceless systems exist.
>>
>>48681032
getting to complicated. fuck you for all this wordy bullshit special snowflake abilities.
>>
Kind of wanna run a game on roll20

Only gm'ed once before. How exactly can I get acquanted with running a game through roll20's shit? Irl no problem, I got boards and figures and shit but online im just not sure what id do

Should I do a published adventure like LMoP? Thatd be real ez but prob real boring.

Also, players. Gonna use voice chat so that should weed out the bottom of the barrel, but how can I best avoid flakes, spergs etc?
>>
>>48684096
good luck lol
>>
>>48684120
Ty senpai
>>
>>48684096
You can literally pay for LMoP to be premade these days on Roll20, everything set up ready to go.
>>
>>48684096
>How exactly can I get acquanted with running a game through roll20's shit?
Use their tutorial, mess around with it, look up guides and check their wiki.
>>
Does anyone have the word doc of Quick Characters? They changed the one on the site (and also the formatting for some reason?) and that's the one that's in the MEGA.
>>
File: SHEET.jpg (490KB, 2164x996px) Image search: [Google]
SHEET.jpg
490KB, 2164x996px
>>48684096
Its easy as fuck. Use their tutorial if you need to, and theres also a bunch of tutorials on youtube from various people about the more in-depth features.

Whip some maps up (you can do it in roll20 itself but its annoying and very basic, I suggest using something like DungeonPainter), add some character sheets, tie them to tokens, and you're good to go.

The character sheet I'd recommend using is the community shaped one, it looks very similar to the real 5e sheet and has a lot of automation that makes things easy, while also allowing you to customize a lot if you need to.
It has a switch for Player and Non-Player sheets, with NPC sheets being a lot simpler and obviously not including things like the inventory or personality traits.
Setting up NPC sheets is really easy, I'll include a screenshot of one as an example.

For extra features, theres shit like Rollable Tables that you can make for pretty much everything you can think of. Loot Tables, Random Encounters, even stuff like Bags of Tricks. Theres the And of course theres the pro features like dynamic lighting or particle effects.

Overall its really simple to use once you get everything set up and have tokens assigned (which does take some time, but you only have to do it once). Of course, you could just ignore all the automation features and roll out of the book if that's easier too.
>>
Can i get some feedback on my homebrew? Last time i put it here people wound up talking about how edgy classes are and arguing about the mystic.

Im trying to simplify the point system and find some other way to grant powers to the class. So far its modeled to be similar to the mystic, but hopefully not as broken. Im not sure if adding more abilities to the class is the right call.

The class itself is somewhat like a half caster, so im also thinking about lowering its total castings per day somehow, but ive already been told its spellcasting is crippled enough..

Thoughts/feedback is appreciated.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkaciQ1L
>>
>>48684687
Still edgy. Still has the word shadow to many times for me to bother reviewing it.
>>
>>48684730
>>48684730
eh you wouldnt review it anyway, youre just being a dick.
>>
>>48684792
Yep. You're right there.

It might be a good homebrew but I dislike having homebrew classes in my games so I wouldn't review it.

Have a good night.
>>
>wont review something she'll never use anyway

sleep tight, dont let the bed bugs bite.
>>
>>48684687
That's frankly just too much material for me to casually look over for such a specific concept. I think a spell-point class is a good niche, but why not have it be a bit more broad and have the person who's all about shadow magic be an archetype of that?
>>
>>48684687
At first glance, you need to change the Shadow Points thing.

Like, is it necessary to have 133 points available at max level?

If you compare it to the Sorcerer, at max level they have 20 sorcery points.

Is there a reason you can't simplify it down so that you have say, 60 points at max level, and adjust costs accordingly?

Also, what's the limit for spell casts? Is that what the 'Shadow Magic Limit' is? So at level 20 you have 133 points to spend.. But you can only cast up to 14 spells per day? What's the point of having that many points then? Why not simply use a ramping spell slot system like every other class?

The costs of (most) spells are so insignificant compared to the amount of points you get, making it overcomplicated and unbalanced.
For example, at 6th level you could cast 'Life Fades' 16 times.
Compare that to a Wizard at 6th level casting Inflict Wounds (1st level necromancy). Inflict wounds does more max damage (30 vs 18), but does not come with a 2 levels of exhaustion effect. A 6th level Wizard could, using ALL his spell slots, cast Inflict Wounds 10 times. So you're out-casting the dedicated caster class.

It seems like you realised this which is why you implemented the casting limits, but the more elegant way to do that would be to either build the limits into the point system by lowering the amount of points you have and upping spell costs to suit, or simply using a spell slot system like everything else.
>>
File: DeliciousStyles.png (14KB, 736x228px) Image search: [Google]
DeliciousStyles.png
14KB, 736x228px
>>48684645
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/UA_Quick_PCs_SFG.docx
Found it by URL changing, still downloadable. Includes all the styles and formatting they use to create the UA documents, would be amazing to have the one for the PHB but this is still great.
>>
File: 1443987515762.jpg (115KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1443987515762.jpg
115KB, 1440x810px
>>48684877
>Wizard at 6th level casting Inflict Wounds
>>
What would you use to determine how much and how far character can throw something.
>>
>>48684894
Obviously its an unrealistic example, I was just comparing a cheap spell from his homebrew to one of the vanilla spells that matched up the best. Vampiric Touch is also similar but it's an ongoing concentration effect rather than a once off cast so I didn't use that.
>>
>>48684901
In combat: improvised weapon ranges, 20/60.

Out of combat: come up with a DC for a Strength check based on how far they want to throw it.
>>
>>48684901
The weapon's (or whatever weapon the object resembles the most) range increments, common sense, and my gut. Probably a strength test if the specific distance matters enough
>>
>>48684914
>>48684928
The Halfling Fighter and Goliath Barbarian want to do the Fastball Special.
>>
>>48684935
I would just go with the improvised weapon range for combat at least. If it wasn't a goliath and a halfling I'd probably do something more harsh, but that seems about right
>>
>>48684935
Base it off how much he can lift, if it's comparable weight to a rock for him then it's an improvised weapon, if it's near the cap (seems unlikely) he needs to do an Athletics check or something. Whether you give the halfling adv on an attack roll, or make the creature he is thrown at take damage etc. is completely up to you.
>>
>>48684946
>>48684947
I let the Goliath make an improvised weapon attack and gave the Halfling ADV on his readied attack but another player had a hissy fit about physics.
>>
>>48685011
It's probably quite hard to attack while being thrown so you could just say they both take 1d6 damage from the impact and fall prone (str save for the creature). From "hissy fit" it doesn't seem like he had any valid points.
>>
>>48685031
He said "He can't throw like that" and "the Halfling is gay".
>>
>>48685011
Halflings are like 3 feet tall and weigh like 40 pounds. A human throwing an armored one would be like throwing a bag of cement in the more extreme cases (but not impossible for a fighter with their armor and weapons), but goliaths are are 7-8 feet tall and have a racial feature where they count as a size category larger than normal for things like lifting and carrying. 20 of thrown halfling without disadvantage seems fine to me, and if you start getting worked up about physics in DnD you'll never stop.

I would add some risks for doing a thing like that to discourage them from doing it for every encounter though, like maybe if the goliath botches his attack roll to throw the halfling takes damage or something
>>
>>48685067
A miss ending with the Halfling face planting in the ground surrounded by angry enemies seems good enough for me.
>>
>>48685067
It's a readied attack so he can't use extra attack as a fighter, and the barb uses his action as well. If he misses, both their actions are wasted. If he hits, he's basically used his action to move the halfling 20 ft., which is like dashing for someone, not exactly abusable when they have to be next to each other and there's a good likelyhood of missing if against AC since the goliath should have low DEX and won't add PB.
>>
>>48685088

improvised weapon attacks use strength IIRC, and most throwing weapons do anyways
>>
>>48685031
>they both take 1d6 damage from the impact and fall prone (str save for the creature)
Seems reasonable to me. I might let the halfling make an attack, too. And increase the number of d6s for the impact damage based on the distance the halfling is thrown.
>>
>>48683502
Background stories should always be short and sweet, I say. If DM says so, make it longer. Otherwise, do most of the character building yourself. Get the bare bones out there but don't give a long, long list of people he's met in the past that he can call on or something stupid.

>>48683664
So, basically, a lot of routes are defunct?
No wolf barbarians?
No barbarians at all (With their reckless attacks)?
No kobolds with pack tactics?
No advantage on prone targets?

Only if DM arbitrarily decides so?
I feel it's a bad system. Yes, the DM should sometimes decide to grant advantage or disadvantage. No, they shouldn't completely ruin the system and balancing and basically say "I like this, so I'm going to make sure it works" or "I don't like this, I'm going to make sure it doesn't work."
As long as advantage and disadvantage isn't too liberally applied and the basic rules aren't fucked with (like wolf barbarian has a fucktruck of advantages) then it's fine.
>>
>>48684901
If they're looking to throw it regularly as a weapon, start doing calculations.
If not, just do a quick thing. See how far they're throwing it. Consider the object, compare to thrown weapons which are pretty throwable.

Probably consider their strength, too. If their strength is good enough, I'd probably let them try a rather unreasonable attempt with an athletics check. I'd only allow a very light object to be thrown with dex.
>>
>>48687143

>Cast Invisibility to get away from a melee in your face
>"Well I really want you to get KO'd here so the monster had advantage instead"

amazing dm
>>
I'm normally not really into optimization, preferring to build a character around being conceptually interesting. Obviously I'm generally less powerful than the rest of the party, which is fine, but recently the party has been taken over by extremely cheesy min-maxed spellcasters.

How well do druids and monks synergize? Sorcerors and monks?
>>
Quick Question.
I´m going to pick up the Mounted Combatant feat and was wondering now that my mount can use the Dodge action, does the dodge effect only count for my mount or also for me sitting on it?

Also is there anyway to unsure that it will not die to AoE attacks?
>>
>>48684877
133 isnt an arbitrary number. Thats just following the regular variant spell point progression. This doesnt work like the sorcerers sorcery points. This class uses a more extreme ramping to show how casting higher level spells has a particular toll on the class, at max level they can only cast 5 5th level spells a day, a mere 1 more than the warlock can per short rest at that level.

That being said, yes, i am trying to figure out a way to keep the exponential costs of abilities while lowering the total amount, for the sake of not overwhelming anybody. Simplicity would be better but its damn hard to keep things working correctly that way. Still hopefully i figure out a good method soon.

The limit is how much the class can spend on any single use of an ability. Where are you getting the 14 spell limit from?

a 6th level wizard using arcane recovery could cast it up to 13 times, and a wizard using the spell point variant can cast it more than 16 times. So, no, not out casting the dedicated caster class, even with the lowest level spell.

The casting limits are a form of level gate for higher tier powers and eventually to level gate the hidden ability use and bonus action ability use effects on higher level abilities.
>>
>>48687481
Considering that for the most parts each class can take dramatically different roles, most classes synergize with most other classes pretty well as long as they follow conventional "team-up" methods. Even with that being said, synergy could be thrown out the window if you have enough dpr or clever enough players.
>>
>>48687481

Monks are nice with blasters like Sorcerers because if you land a stunning strike you make the stunned creature automatically fail it's Dexterity saving throws, meaning your Sorc can lay their full blast into them and not worry about dealing half damage at all.

Druid it probably doesn't matter much. If they're moon they'll appreciate advantage on attack rolls and you'll appreciate having a huge meat shield. If they're land they'll appreciate auto fail dex saves.
>>
>>48684877
using the spell point variants on the DMG pg 288.
>>
>>48682986
I recommend subversion. Maybe make the situation seem like something else, or have them follow the expected trail and have it lead somewhere surprising.
>>
So is Volo's Guide to Monster going to include player race version of some monsters or are they just going to be variants for the DM to use?
>>
>>48688099
both, allegedly
>>
Looking for more tweaks / suggestions on these monk Archetypes. I've got a player who's going to try one of them for a session coming up.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1-L3BTod

>>48670255
Made some changes mentioned here, as well as restructuring some of the abilities in general.

Way of the Red Fist
> Animal Stances
> More combat options
> Increased damage / battlefield control

Way of the Mystic
> Arcane casting like Eldritch Knight
> basically inspired by Ryu's "Low medium kick > Hadouken" BnB

Way of the Samurai
> Mythical no armored samurai
> Final Fantasy tactics inspired sans armor
>>
>>48688274
vipers strike seems kind of strong. 5 rounds of 2d10 save for half, for 1 ki point is just too good.

rolling spirit needs an addendum for AoE spells being unable to redirect.

Iajutsu mastery should also note that you go last in the initiative order, or else it doesnt make sense to be surprised but be able to act.

disarming is a variant rule, you may want to consider changing sword grasp into something the core rules allow, though its hard to think of what would be a good replacement.

other than those few things, everything looks good. mind reviewing my homebrew?

>>48684687
>>
my parties been doing homebrew since we started playing a bit under a year ago and thought about doing some of the official quests, what are the best ones to do, thinking about getting the physical books for it as well as a nice memory of the time.

Also is there an easy way to tie some of them in with an already running story or would it be best to start some new characters to play them?
>>
>>48688530
>http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1-L3BTod

>vipers strike
Hmmm, they only take the 2d10 damage on the initial strike, and poisoned is a specific condition. Also I think next to fire, poison is the most common immunity among monsters.

>Iajutsu mastery
I think I copied it directly from the Barbarian ability that has the same effect.

> disarming
I did not know that. This was supposed to be an expansion of the Deflect Missiles ability, but applied to melee weapons. I'll definitely look into some other options.

>>48684687
Reading now. Though, in general, I'm usually not a fan of death,shadow,dark, or otherwise more basic macabre themes. Blood usually works for me though. I'll try to be partial.
>>
>>48688530
Just a heads up, the sheer amount of information just seems daunting and overwhelming.
>>
>>48688606
>vipers strike
ah, i thought it meant the 2d10 poison effect, not the poisoned condition. nevermind then, that is fine.

>Iajutsu
really? huh. when do you move in the initiative order if you are but arent surprised?

>disarming
yeup, only shove and grapple are in the core. and shove seems like a very cheap effect. maybe have the same deflection ability but redirects attacks to an adjacent enemy instead? or gain a bonus of +1 or +2 to AC until the end of your next turn?

>>48688680
yeah, ive been told. you dont have to read through everything, a quick skim will suffice.
>>
>>48688114
God I hope it is. I could use other races without homebrew or third party publishing's. Some of my DMs are big on no actual WotC no play
>>
What do people think about the Way of the Four Elements Remastered? The one with spells.
>>
>>48689642

It's better than vanilla Way of the Four Elements for sure. I don't know if it's on par with Way of the OpenHand/Shadow but I think it's probably got a fighting chance. My one worry is that you'll need more ki than you'll be able to get.
>>
>>48689642
Cool.

>>48688603
Most adventure modules are written in a way that they can be implemented into almost any setting / campaign; modular, as it were.

>>48687239
Does this actually happen? Like, this is completely ridiculous to me (foreverDM here). I could never imagine just willy-nilly handing out advantage / disadvantage if it didn't make sense. 80% of the time I don't even do it unless one of my players brings it up:

> "Remember when we first got into the cave and I dropped that bucket of oil on myself?"
> "Wait, didn't you say his arm was cutoff last round?"
> etc. etc.

>>48683502
Usually just a few lines of background for me. The more backstory you make, the more pressure you put on the DM to make everything connected, and the more you set yourself up for disappointment when none of it is touched on in game.
>>
Running a Path of the Primalist Barbarian, and just got proficiency with Herbalist's Kit and Poisoner's Kit. What sort of shit could I craft to help the party out?
>>
File: 1434676411888.jpg (291KB, 690x991px) Image search: [Google]
1434676411888.jpg
291KB, 690x991px
>>48689724
I think it might work because a lot of the effects are useful without spending Ki, then you have the option add more damage with Ki spent. I've been thinking about approaching my DM to ask if it turns out to be weak, I could get 1 extra Ki per level. I don't know if that'd be overpowered or what but I am still going to approach him about it.

I just feel kinda lame so far because everything my character seems to have unique as a class is overshadowed by another party member. Oh well, it's about roleplaying and fun so I'll still have fun either way. I just don't want to be useless to the party.

>>48689846
Yeah, my backstory is about 1,000 words and I think at least that it's very well connected with the setting, lore, and my character's chosen ideals, bonds, etc. I worry he wont connect it but I don't like playing characters that aren't fleshed out and writing is a hobby of mine and will be my career eventually so...more practice is always good.
>>
>>48690037

I honestly wonder if it would be fine if Monks just started off with wisdom mod + level in ki, but I don't know if that would be too much or not. Either way, there are a lot of great effects you can use for free so go for it if you want to. What's the rest of your party?

Are you that person who was asking for help with their kobold monk a few days ago?
>>
>>48690075
Yes it's me and I managed to work out my backstory pretty well I think, in the process of editing it.

So far there's a Goliath Barbarian, a homebrew (toned down version) of a Rakshasa Rogue, a Tiefling Bard, a Half-Elf Sorcerer, and we have two other players who are undecided I think... I think Human Warlock and maybe another Bard.
>>
>>48690167

Glad to hear things are working out. Unfortunately your damage will always be kind of sub par compared to a Barbarian and a dedicated blasting Sorcerer, but you'll be able to really set that sorcerer up with stunning strike once you get it since you can make enemies auto fail dex saves. A lot of monk is about setting up other players though.

I think at this point you could really use any of them. Both four elements, shadow, and open hand will give you some sort of group utility. If you guys ever have to do anything sneaky your group will probably appreciate getting Pass Without Trace, and anyone who doesn't have Dark Vision will enjoy you being able to pass that out. Minor Illusion is also a really nice cantrip.
>>
I'm working on a class that transforms, a la He-Man and Sailor Moon.

Does it look interesting so far? Anything broken one way or the other?
>>
>>48690227
Oh yes. Monks get a massive damage boost early on, but they stagnate while getting more utility and control as they level.

Monks primary benefit with their damage is their ability to apply it where they want. Running up a wall to take down the archers atop it, jumping over the front-line to hit the caster at the back, and so on.

They are skirmishers, whose power comes from application rather than quantity.
>>
>>48679584
I like to play him as a middle aged father doing tasks for his monastery that sends him out on missions.

Basically a dad/doctor/alchemists working away from home constantly on business trips.

The DM so far avoided messing with my PCs family and even gave me a teleportation ritual when I took ritual caster so his game can have its bright sides and for "offtime shenanigans".

Btw I used the other family members as PCs from time to time.

Wife a Wood elf Ranger running a herbalist shop.

Son a half elf swashbuckler working as a bodyguard/assistant to a local court wizard.

(Yes I'm lonely. The DM even tried to set me up with his sister last session.)
>>
>>48690227
Yeah, I've kinda accepted that fact.

>>48690285
I think this Way of the Four Elements actually really will help balance that stagnation out, giving a ton of utility with spells, cantrips, etc.

I haven't ever posted a pdf here so I hope this works...
>>
>>48690324

I think this homebrew is pretty well known, it gets posted here often whenever someone talks about this path. If you like it, go for it, I'm sure you'll have fun with it. Just take Water Whip because it kicks ass.

I'm really partial (read: biased) to Shadow Monk but if I had to choose a not shadow monk I'd probably go for this remaster. Being able to fly and water whip would be nice.
>>
>>48683502
I write a short one with the necessary details on the character sheet and a lengthy one on a separate piece of paper if the DM needs it.
>>
>>48690369
I definitely was tempted for Shadow Monk but honestly when a friend brought this to me and basically said "You can be the Avatar" I was sold.

I feel a bit bad because my DM has made concessions for me already, giving me access to 3 disciplines instead of the normal 2 per level I get them. But thanks to that I will be able to have every element and be more like the avatar. I think with this even with the limited Ki it should still be balanced. I dunno, I guess he was ok with it because I DM'd for him and made a lot of concessions when he asked so...
>>
>>48690549

You probably don't need it.

Your race is already pretty OP anyways.
>>
File: Kobold_sized.jpg (128KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
Kobold_sized.jpg
128KB, 680x680px
>>48690575
It totally is and I didn't need it but I wont turn it down...He's not worried about it, I'm one of the few player who will actually roleplay and despite what it might seem, my character is one of the few that aren't trying to be a special snowflake.

For example the Half-Elf Sorcerer wanted to basically be a Dragonborn but looks like a Half-Elf and get both benefits and water breathing out of the gate because she's "the daughter of a dragon" and worshiped as a goddess...among other things. This is the same player who played a huge asshole character before (Whose rants IC were actually obviously pointed OoC) and caused tons of trouble by rushing ahead as a warlock and opening doors and generally getting the party almost killed.

I've also told him if it feels like I'm too powerful, that he can feel free to adjust it mid-game.
>>
>>48690728

Being a kobold is kind of special snowflakey but I won't judge you for it.

That sorcerer sounds absolutely obnoxious though. I can imagine myself sitting at a table with someone like that trying to keep silent as my eyes boil out of my face. Aren't you guys doing the Underdark campaign anyways?
>>
Need puzzles to find someone in a mountain (they'll walk in circles until they solve the puzzle).
>>
>>48690812
You could make them walk in circles to solve the puzzle.
>>
>>48690774
I guess I can't argue that lol but I did do a ton of research and I'm trying to be real faithful to the race

And yeah we're running Out of the Abyss.

She's not a bad person at all, but she's caused some tension for sure.
>>
>>48690976

I had a friend who was like that. It was most of our first DND campaigns so she had times where she was kind of bratty (although I was too at times). She just took forever in her turns because she was new and playing a sorcerer, and I guess she didn't want to make "mistakes". Outside of the game we were friends though.
>>
>>48690812
"On the path with no end and no beginning, there is still an edge. Until leaving the edges lead back to the same path, the new door shall not open."

There are various levers throughout the path that can be pressed to turn segments of floor different degrees around, but the PCs can always stand upright on them. To unlock the path, they have to make both sides of the circular path one side by turning the levers to make it a Mobius strip!
>>
How do other DMs deal with this? Like, my players pretty much kicked open a proverbial hornet's nest at the end of last session, except this nest is filled with higher CR monsters, and the person doing the kicking was a wild magic sorc who surged Confusion on the party. Needless to say, they are pretty borked starting next session.

On the one hand, I had a really good tough encounter planned with awesome environmental danger and good boss tactics, on the other hand, I'm pretty sure if I go all in they will all die.

I'm excited, but kinda worried because we've been running this campaign for nearly two years now with a few close calls, but no deaths.

If we TPK, it will be my first EVER PC kills in an ongoing session.....I'm excited and scared. Like, I want to stick to my guns and make a good encounter, but I don't want to seem like I'm gunning for them, and I don't want to go easy on them and overcorrect in the other direction.
>>
>>48691241
>I'm excited, but kinda worried because we've been running this campaign for nearly two years now with a few close calls, but no deaths.
How are these guys not very high level by now?
>>
>>48691265
I never said what level they were. But to answer your question.

> shortest time between sessions: 2 weeks
> longest time between sessions: 2 months
> a lot of exploration / interaction / time spent scheming
> time spent playing one-shots / giving someone else a chance to DM something
> relatively 'normie' status adults with careers, families, and kids.
>>
File: 1455713511413.gif (145KB, 300x375px) Image search: [Google]
1455713511413.gif
145KB, 300x375px
Anyone know when the players companion for Storm King's Thunder will get released? I remember with Curse of Strahd it came out some time prior to the campaign's release.
>>
>>48683502
I like improvisational play, so a detailed background is a no no. Have an idea of who the character is, broad strokes, and then you can add details to their backstory in response to what happens in the game. That way, instead of writing a backstory and hoping the DM shapes the plot to make it relevant, you can shape your character's backstory to match the plot.

I think of it like the TV show leverage, a favourite of mine. It's a very /tg/ show, the head writer actually wrote fluff for D&D and wrote the really great D&D comic. It's about this team of robin hood thieves doing heists. Very shadowrun. Each of the characters is a different type of expert. Anyway, personality wise, each has a very clear archetype that they fit into. You watch the first episode and right away you understand the broad strokes of the characters. This one is a geek, this one is a cold stone professional, this one is a crazy thrill seeker etc. Only one character actually has backstory at the beginning of the show. But as the show progressed, more and more backstory for the other characters was revealed, a bit at a time, as it was relevant to whatever was going on in that episode.
>>
How do you either play NPC's who have been charmed in combat, DM's of /5eg/?

Im a new DM and my party keep charming enemies, and I'd be grateful for some different ways to play them for flavours sake.
>>
>>48691241
Do the creatures need to kill them?

Asspull some higher power that needs them for something. Once the party are all KO'd, they awaken somewhere else.

The plot continues, party survives with bruised ego and maybe some hefty penalties until the recover. Consider taking a few limbs and maybe some well liked magic items off them.
>>
>>48692225
They kind of attacked a cult in the middle of a successful Tithing ritual (which then turns into a sacrifice to Tiamat). They attempted to burn everyone alive, and knocked over the statue to Tiamat. In the heart of their hideout/makeshift temple.

While also tracking down an NPC who is one of the PC's rivals (from their backstory; same master, total Snake Eyes / Storm Shadow vibe). The rival is kinda pulling the strings of this group of cultists.
>>
>>48692407
Tiamat speaks to the high priest: these new sacrifices will make fine vessels for [insert dark lieutenants here].

If party get KO'd, cut to them ABOUT TO BE SACRIFICED.
Either some other force intervenes to save them for their own ends, or give them just enough to work with that they could feasibly escape the ritual.

Just thoughts, better than no replies I'm sure. You'll come up with something senpai, its fiction and there's no such thing as a dead end.
>>
>>48692489
I hear you. It's just an....overwhelming feeling kinda. Like, everyone is REALLY attached to their characters, because for 5/6 of the players, it's the first D&D character ever.

Also, like I said this would be my first TPK / PC kills as someone who has Forever DM'd on and off for years.

I feel like....a god weighing the options and consequences of my power....
>>
Ok, so uni just started and a friend of mine has this really strong urge to play D&D (I do too), but we don't know of any DMs, only interested players. I offered myself up to DM because I have experience with other tabletops, but only as a player, and never D&D. What are the things I should be reading right now so that we can have a campaign running in about a month? Keep in mind I've only just now started reading 5E.
>>
>>48692528
Crush the mortals beneath your godly pinky! Let them fear you, worship you! So sayeth the DM!!!

But seriously, just toss in some fun things like chandeliers to get away from the main guards, plates and serving utensils to use as impromptu shields and weapons, and a fortress with lots of secret passages. There lives have been handed back, but it is up to them to use their skills and wits to get out of Dodge and (maybe) get their equipment back. Don't pull a Deus ex Machina, let them figure out an escape.
>>
>>48692690
The free basic rules pdf, the starter set if you want the cheapest way to get into it or the PHB if you're okay buying the real books.

If you want supplementary material on how to be a DM, Robin's Laws is pretty good, and the entire webcomic DM of the Rings for an affectionate crash course in what not to do.
>>
New thread
>>48693563
Thread posts: 308
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.