[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3: https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDAB

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 42

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Old Thread
>>48643617

>July 2016 Unearthed Arcana
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/quick-characters

>August 2016 Unearthed Arcana
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/faithful/

What's your favorite Arcane Tradition?
>>
>>48651909
My favourite tradition is bladesinger, they are ridiculously broken. If unearthed arcana counts, than it's the new "I can be better cleric than cleric" tradition.
>>
>>48651930
>i like the most broken!
You need to reconsider your roleplaying habits, anon.
>>
How are evocation wizards like?
>>
>>48652050
Shooty. You wanna be a shooty wizard, kid? Go evocation. You will probably have less firepower than sorcerers but way more utility anyway. Frankly, arcane traditions with the exception of bladesinger don't define your character too much unless you want to rp an heavily focused wizard.
>>
>>48652050
Standard blaster caster artillery.
Most boring arcane tradition IMO
>>
>>48652098
There is something funnier than it seems in slinging fire at things. Of course it all comes down to how you play it out, but the fact that barred schools are not a thing anymore means that you are a mage specialized in blowing shit up, but not limited to it.
Featurewise, the cantrip one is boring but poking holes in your blasts is great.
>>
>>48651909
Since we already are getting stuff like Arcane clerics and Divine wizards I'be come to ask when are we getting arcane monks?
Something like an AT/EK archetype but uses ki points for metamagic system like sorcerrers.
>>
>>48652144
Isn't it the whole point of the 4 elements monk.
>>
>>48652144
What is Way of the Four Elements

I'd be more interested in seeing a Divine Bard, that sings hymns to a Deity to produce effects.
It'd get shit like Mass Healing Word, Bless, Command, Prayer of Healing, maybe Spiritual Weapon, etc.
>>
>>48652243
College of Hymns?
>>
>>48652250
Yeah, College of Hymns, College of the Choir, something like that. I'm sure a dozen homebrews for it have been made already though.
>>
>>48652169

WO4E is terrible, though
>>
>>48652261
Whether its terrible or not is beside the point. Arcane Monk already exists.
>>
>>48648566

Hmmm, good point. The idea of the limiter is that you don't gain spellcasting, but you do get to use abilities like Fey Charm (Dryad), or Teleport (Blink Dog) at least once per day.

I can see the disconnect now though as that part IS actually supposed to carry over to the other creatures that aren't Fey to prevent eve nmore spellcasting shenanigans, and legendary actions etc.

To be honest, I've been thinking about removing that capstone and replacing it with something else that feels more...Fey like. I even considered just allowing casting spells while Fey Shaped.
>>
>>48652270
No, that's an elemental monk. An arcane monk would be someone who studies magic as part of a monastic tradition. Gameplay wise, it's the difference between getting magic missiles and sleep spells versus fireballs.

>>48651909
Favorite arcane traditions are either Conjuration (for a dip), because the level 2 feature is so cool/interesting/awesome, or Illusion, because it is legitimately the most broken/creativity rewarding tradition.
>>
This one: https://imgur.com/p2f7PdL
>>
>>48652169
>>48652243
Nope.
Wot4e monk is an elemental caster.

The point was a monastic tradition that studies arcane magic.

Something like AT/EK .
Basically gain spell casting at lvl 3 (AT/EK spell slots, Wizard list and limited to evocation and one other school of magic) and make ki interact with it as the second lvl 3 feature by turning it into metamagic lite.

Lvl 6 to net them ritual magic.

Lvl 11 to let the use bonus action unarmed strike after spending their action on casting a spell etc.
>>
>>48651909
Not being a superior psionic arts practitioner
>>
>>48653084
Well, if you do the math, booming blade does do a lot of damage.

Assuming you do +5 damage modifiers, at highest level, and using rapiers because the whip was more of a gimmick:
4d8+5 damage, 4d8 extra damage if they move, an additional 1d8+5 damage for bonus attack if you hit that, for a total of 9d8+10 if you hit everything. Also, thunder damage isn't readily resisted (Sometimes thunder is resisted but magical weapons aren't, sometimes magical weapons are resisted and thunder isn't) and green flame blade can be used if two enemies are next to each other if you want the secondary damage effect to definitely take place.

Multi-attack sword and board:
4d8+20.
Multi-attack big weapon:
4d12+20.
Multi-attack is also better if you have a big weapon.

If GFB/BB's extra damage doesn't proc (enemy doesn't move and no chance to have used green flame blade):
5d8+10 damage.
So, it does deal slightly less damage. Probably best use multi-attack in that case.

Rough conversion says +5 is about +1d8
Rough conversion says 1d12 is about 1d8+2, so lets assume 2d12 is 3d8.

Big weapon: 10d8 damage.
Swordboard: 8d8 damage.
Melee Cantrip: 11d8 most. 7d8 least.
Melee cantrip whip: 10d8 most (easier to booming blade). 6d8 least. Also requires spell sniper.

Well, okay, it doesn't look ultragreat and that changes if you use magical weapons. But the whip gimmick looked cool.
War caster -> booming blade is practically a must, though.
>>
>>48653264
You also can't booming blade on reach, as it must be within five feet.
>>
You call me Necromancer, I call myself Pragmatist.
>>
>>48651909
Necromancy, because I love commanding minions in combat to do my bidding. Plus I love the roleplay flavor of being a necromancer in general.
>>
>>48653264

I'm not saying it's a bad build at all, it's just certainly not the "only good one". A GWM/GWF will do leagues more damage through static mod alone (8d6+60). At that point though your spells and cantrips will just be utility/defense.
>>
>>48653366
You can call me a Necromancer, until I become a Lich.
>>
>>48653356
>spell sniper
The cantrip's range is doubled to 10ft.
>>
>>48651909
Abjuration. I never really paid the school any mind in the past but I like the features they got this time around.
>>
>>48653389
Yeah. But I had the feeling it was 'the shit'.

It seems gerat weapon fighter with all the extras will probably put out more when you consider crits. Then there's also the duelling fighting style to consider.
Alternatively, dodgeman could take +1 AC.
I think the dexterity build is probably good for a tank-ish playstyle. Higher initiative, dex save, AC. Better at range.

I'm just coming upon the relization that, once again, booming blade / green flame blade is surprisingly balanced (For eldritch knight specifically). Except with war caster where booming blade is just sickening.
>>
>>48652144

That could be cool.

>>48652098
>>48652050

It is pretty "boring" since all it does is blast really, really well, but blasting well is pretty nice too. It's definitely competitive with the Sorcerer in terms of blasting imo and Sculpt Spell is really nice for the blaster who doesn't want his close ranged party members to hate him. Overchannel is swell too.

If you want something that rewards creativity though, I'd suggest looking else where (Illusion).
>>
>>48652788

I actually like this wizard tradition a lot. I don't know if it's balanced though but I definitely think the idea is cool.
>>
>>48652050
Meh.

Go for something more interesting like portent.
>>
>>48653491

Yeah using WC with booming blade in melee is just the tits honestly. I really like the EK, even if I wish they could cantrip and attack more efficiently in a fight.
>>
For those who missed it last thread.

>Tome of Beasts by Kobold Press
https://mega.nz/#!xIcw0JrS!e_WL2JWFEU7HN0DwK69F9J9MLoe7qv69qez0lDGPWUQ
>>
What's the best option for playing a necromancer who doesn't create undead? Is it worth playing a wizard with the necromancy tradition if you aren't going to make use of the level 6 feature?
>>
>>48654070
What are you hoping to do with the character, if not make undead? Depending on what it is, there might be a better tradition.
>>
File: i4UuWB2.png (53KB, 540x293px) Image search: [Google]
i4UuWB2.png
53KB, 540x293px
>>48654047
>https://mega.nz/#!xIcw0JrS!e_WL2JWFEU7HN0DwK69F9J9MLoe7qv69qez0lDGPWUQ

I must have missed it in the last thread. Thank you kind sir, I've spent the last 30 or so minutes looking for this.
>>
>>48654101
Bog enemies down with negative effects, kill people and steal their HP, control and/or destroy preexisting undead.
>>
>>48651930
>ridiculously broken
how so...?
>>
>>48654070
necromancy theurge to be honest
>>
>>48654047
thank you kind sir, may goblins grovel at your feet eternally.
>>
File: 1470436312198.jpg (5MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
1470436312198.jpg
5MB, 3648x2736px
So /5eg/, I've been tossing the idea around and want your opinion. Which would be more fun and/or useful, an abjuration mage or a life cleric?
pic unrelated
>>
From input from the last thread, I threw together rough draft for an Animal Styles monk. The focus is being able to keep up with damage with other martials, but also provide martial support / utility.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1-L3BTod

Also, because someone mentioned it, if you scroll down I started a section for an arcane monk. Would love some input / feedback on both. I suck at balancing.

>>
Can you harvest the poison of a poisonous snake familiar? It seems RAW legit, in a kinda "It doesn't say you can't" kind of way, but if not why else is poisonous snake a familiar option?
>>
>>48654946
They're not the actual animals, they just get their qualities, right? So it would be able to affect people with poison attacks, but you wouldn't be able to harvest it. Maybe. Animal companions are a different thing though.
>>
>>48654882
>abjuration mage
>>
>>48654902

I don't know if this will help them keep up with martials. Maybe have just extra damage on their attacks in a stance??

Other than that, what does the level 17 feature do?
>>
>>48654979
No ideas lol, ran out of steam after typing the other stuff. Open to suggestions.
>>
>>48654882
Both can be equally as fun and useful when done right, so ultimately it's whichever you like more. With that said, I personally lean towards life cleric because heals for days and being tanky is awesome.
>>
>>48654882
They're both good choices. The only downsides I can think of would be for Abjurer if you get to mid/high level and your GM isn't throwing any magical enemies at you for some reason you may not feel like you're getting the most out of the path, and for Life Cleirc if you don't like being a healbot and/or don't know how to play cleric any other way than healbot you're probably not going to have a good time.
>>
>>48654968
They are spirits with the same statistics as the animal, and cannot attack. I don't know if statistics includes actions.
>>
Looking for feedback on my assorted archetypes. I got some good stuff in the last thread.

Included here:
The Oath of Penance is support and defense-based. Fluff-wise, it indicates that you had a not-so-sterling past and are looking to atone through service and self-sacrifice.

The Seeker archetype is the only one of these directly based on an earlier class, because Seekers were an awesome concept that never got their due. I tried to bring over their key features while leaving behind the junk stuff.

I'm looking for anything that's too good, not good enough, too complicated, or anything that could be exploited when combined with X. Specific trouble spots are listed at the bottom.
>>
So I'm looking at a party of Barbarian, Ranger/Fighter, EK Fighter, Druid, and one unknown (probably not caster, first time player), and then myself. Coming in at level 10.

Should I go Monk, Cleric or Wizard?
>>
>>48655278
With several martials twinned Haste and stuff would be very nice, cleric is cool but with so much tanking from the others it seems really good for a wizard
>>
>>48655116
I was looking at the lower level abjuration spells and they seem pretty underwhelming to me, am I just not looking at them right?
>>
>>48655432
There aren't a lot of abj spells with healing and stuff being removed, but it's still pretty good and I'd think the ward is balanced around it.
>>
>>48655432
What makes abjurer so good is the magical shield they get from the class features.
>>
>>48654946
I would rule that it requires a Dex check where proficiency in poisoner's kits applies. Success means you drain the snake for the day but acquire a vial of poison, one with a limited shelf life on par with the other poisons in the dmg. Failure means you get bitten.
>>
>>48655391
If I did wizard it'd probably be a back-line transmutation wizard focused on buff/debuffs and battlefield control.

I figure with the classes the group already has there's not a huge amount of need for even more direct damage, but some utility won't go amiss. Also grabbing all the rituals I can to make the most of my spell slots.
>>
How do you feel about non-traditional character sheets like these? They're meant to be printed off and written on, for numbers that fluctuate more often than not.

I use these more as reference sheets, as opposed to actually detailing every little bit.
>>
Can you front-line wizard without going Bladesinger?

Maybe if you go Dwarf for Armor/Extra Health and Abjuration?
>>
File: 12268533_718924159383_98577148_o.jpg (287KB, 1582x2048px) Image search: [Google]
12268533_718924159383_98577148_o.jpg
287KB, 1582x2048px
>>48655626
here's another example.
>>
>>48655626
I NEED BOXES AND CLEAR FONTS REEEEEEE

...Eh, looks fine.
>>
>>48655634
If you want to frontline you should probably get a fighter level for the heavy armor, con save, maybe two for the action surge. Other classes work too but fighter is quite front loaded and is good for dips.
>>
>>48655626
>>48655644
The big dark pictures severely limit your scribble space. I'd either shrink or fade them.
>>
>>48655634
I dunno if bladesinger qualifies to "front-line wizard" since frontline kinda means that you are the first one to take damage, that is to say "unexpected" damage.
And since you have to declare you're dancing, that's not as great.

Since the Abjurators' Arcane Ward doesn't have an expiration date, I think they qualify much more as wizard front liners.

But if you meant melee combatants, Bladesingers are probably better in combat.
>>
>>48655626
As long as its clearly readable, I don't care. Aesthetically, it's an improvement.
>>
File: Truechamp.png (156KB, 370x508px) Image search: [Google]
Truechamp.png
156KB, 370x508px
Would this be OP? I like some of it a lot but resistance to nonmagical weapons and halved long rests seem a bit much.
>>
>>48655763
So a 15th level, Elven Champion would complete his trance in 2 hours. That's a bit weird to me since their trance shouldn't really be improved by physical prowess.

I like the idea of making champions a bit more interesting, but I think it's just a bit over the top. Is all this supposed to stack with the improved critical etc.?
>>
>>48655808
Elves' trance doesn't let them complete a long rest in less than 8 hours.
>>
>>48655808

They only sleep for 4 hours to get a night's rest but I think they still have to spend the full 8 hours for a long rest (so it'd only go down to 4).
>>
>>48655808
elves still need 8 hours to take a long rest, they just don't need to sleep at all and need to be in trance for 4 of them. Normal people get a long rest with max 1 hour of strenuous activity, 2 hours of non-strenuous activity and 5 hours of sleep.
>>
>>48655828
Yes, it does.
>After resting in this way, you gain the same benefit that a human does after 8 hours of sleep.
Specific beats general.
>>
>>48655882
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/12/elf-trance-human-sleep/

A long rest is not just sleep. It's 8 hours of downtime, period.
>>
Correct me if I'm wrong-
If you're holding a two-handed weapon, you do not receive bonuses from a shield, right?
>>
>>48656026
You can't use a two-handed weapon and a shield. A shield takes up your use of one hand, period.
>>
File: 1432403697562.gif (3MB, 200x155px) Image search: [Google]
1432403697562.gif
3MB, 200x155px
>>48656036
Thanks friendo
>>
>>48656036
Adding to this, it takes a full action to don or doff a shield, so you can't drop it and make a two-handed attack in the same turn either (action surge, bonus action attacks, etc. notwithstanding)
>>
>>48655763
So a 15th level champion stays standing when they fall unconscious? That's weird as fuck.
>>
>>48656132
I imagine it's more that they don't fall down completely helpless, but manage to still be somewhat defensive. So the mechanical downside isn't there, but they're still down. It's a bit weird though, and doesn't seem that useful mechanically.
>>
>>48656185
The champion would end up being still i the way and more or less a target. If you go down right before the party healbots turn your up like nothing happened. Itd want champions in my party but i dont want to play a champion
>>
>>48656329
I think adding some cool fluff of being the ultimate human (or other) being would make it more desirable, but the lack of cool shit to do in combat makes it seem much less attractive than BM every time.
>>
So I'm going to play a rogue in a low magic setting, with plenty of city and field action, so since I've never played a rogue I have narrowed it to three options.

Thief, Assassin and Inquisitive.

I'm just not sure how well those do in actual games.
>>
>>48656773

I'd probably say Thief/Inquisitive over Assassin, which is pretty much based around a single gimmick.

Inquisitive will do great if you have a lot of political intrigue, since your lie detection and insight will be off the charts.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-12-18-35-10_1.jpg (106KB, 1236x1079px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-12-18-35-10_1.jpg
106KB, 1236x1079px
/5eg/

My party have been pining for a Bag of Holding since day 1.

I think they are ready for one and it might make them RP a bit more.

How should I give them the bag?

They are so hyped for one I almost want to dash it for them, like have a workman loading brick after brick into it, bids them good day and carries on with his work. There is no grand quest, it isn't in a hoard of a monster, it's why Arnold Flagger is the best bricklayer in Amphail.

Anyone think of any other ways to give them the bag?
>>
>>48656838
You could have them quest a little. Have a thief making off with far more than he should be able to carry, by himself. They'll get what he's got and THE CHASE IS ON.
>>
>>48656838
Come up with a contrived bag of holding / portable hole situation that will doom a town if disturbed.
>>
>>48656838
Some seemingly innocent but secretly shady dude offers it in exchange for an innocent service that would eventually lead to something bad happening and plans to trick them by giving them one of the cursed ones that bites your hand off, but he accidentally gives them the bag of holding (which has evidence showing that the thing they did is part of a larger scheme which they can now stop) and the cursed bag eats the guy.
>>
>>48651909
Illusion has always been my favorite in previous editions, but now that divination isn't complete useless shit it's pretty nice because of the fluff, and the certainty that they can have about their abilities.

So Illusion, but the munchkin in me has warmed up to divination a lot.

>>48651930
>bladesinger... broken.
Bladesinger might be the shittiest tradition. l2wizard bruh.
>>
>>48656865
I had an idea similar to this, the thief puts the bag through a small window in the back of a shop, 4 Gnomes get out, dump everything into the bag, get back in themselves and the guy pulls the bag out with a rope attached to the strap.

>>48656888
Nice trips.

I am planning on doing this with the immovable rod, something to do with unshackling a demon or something.

>>48656931
Hmm, I do like bumbling evil guys.
>>
>>48657116
The bumbling evil guy could be the thief. By day he works as a brick layer. All the clues of 'people who can carry a lot of shit' point to the brick layer (who stole the stuff as part of his evil plan).

Make sure the party sees him get eaten by the bag.
>>
>>48657116
Cute idea, but bags of holding are supposed to suffocate living creatures. If you want to allow those shenanigans though, be my guest.
>>
>>48657191
In 10 minutes. It doesn't take 10 minutes to throw a bag through a window.
>>
>>48657227
Hmm fair enough. I guess I imagined a different scenario
>>
Do you level up your party's familiars, mounts, etc? If they're actively participating it seems reasonable. If this is in the DM guide, I don't have it on me, it just came to mind.
>>
So, what's the opinion on Sun Soul monks? They seem pretty good, desu, cause their abilities are all spammable and inflatable with ki.
>>
File: 1468909036996.jpg (91KB, 480x515px) Image search: [Google]
1468909036996.jpg
91KB, 480x515px
I swear to god the dm boner I get from linking one-shots to the main quest gives me reason to live
>Have main campaign with 3 guys, a fourth newbro wants to join
>2 important pc can't join the next session
>have a 1shot session with newbro, one of the campaign members, a friend who was in town for the weekend
>buncha nomadic halflings investigating ruins for a rumored treasure
>they finally get to the treasure, an elixir, lift it up and in sterotypical trap style, the room turns into a deathcage
>moments before incineration, one of the halflings drinks the potion and lands into the main campaign
>now has the guilt of abandoning his fellows as a part of his backstory
>>
>>48657430
Potion resulted in teleportation**
>>
>>48651909
Both of the UA traditions, Artificer (sort of) and Theurgist. I really like how they expand my support options (especially when no one else wants to touch that subject...)
>>
>>48657188
oooooooohhhh the plot thickens.

>>48657227
Yeah I imagined that they would get in around the corner and then go from there.
>>
>>48657396

It's a decent combat upgrade but you'll be sorely lacking in utility skills. It's not bad if you're there to fight though.
>>
>>48657430
That sounds amazing. it's things like this that makes me realize how bad I am at DMing.
>>
Rolled 1, 6, 4, 17, 4, 13 = 45 (6d20)

I've been away for a few weeks. Someone fill me in on the memes I've missed.
>>
File: IMG-20150429-WA0001.jpg (84KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20150429-WA0001.jpg
84KB, 1280x720px
>DM
>worried about tonight's session involving ranger getting a new companion
>have done minimal prep
>pull the next 5 hours out of my arse
>party said it was one of the best nights ever

Also
>PC asks nitty gritty question about NPC
>glance down at blank piece of paper
>answer question
>they think I have detailed characters designed for everything

One could get addicted to this power.
>>
File: weights.png (327KB, 437x364px) Image search: [Google]
weights.png
327KB, 437x364px
>>48657669
>gnome
>120 pounds
>implying

All potentially viable cantrips are a meme. Create bonfire, green flame blade, booming blade.
>>
>>48654261
>three or less
>not three or fewer
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>48657849
Optimal, not viable.
>>
>>48657764
As long as you don't resort to saying "Uhh, no, I don't have that detail noted down." or "No, you can't do that because I'd have to suddenly design new things" then you'll be doing good.
>>
File: 1442195153559.jpg (103KB, 571x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1442195153559.jpg
103KB, 571x1000px
what do you think is the best way to make a witch? a druid, a warlock or a wizard? given that witch is a pretty board term and I dont mean hags like babayaga
>>
>>48657920
Less has been used with counting nouns since at least the 9th century AD.
>>
>>48657849
>>
>>48651930
Doing higher damage in melee doesn't mean they're broken you fucking retard. You're limiting your Wizard's utility by picking your stupid spellsword class.
>>
File: 1409304957346.png (172KB, 396x554px) Image search: [Google]
1409304957346.png
172KB, 396x554px
>>48651930
True bait.
>>
>>48658034
>UA
They're practically gnome-dwarfs. I guess it'd just be confusing if a specific sort of gnome was small. Still, the image shown in the graph was that of the normal, much lighter gnomes.

Not to mention, deep gnomes are 3 to 3.5 feet and 80 to 120 pounds, which is both quite a bit shorter and lighter than a dwarf. Still pretty dense.
>>
File: gnomes.png (98KB, 306x126px) Image search: [Google]
gnomes.png
98KB, 306x126px
>>48658034
That's deep gnomes you retard. Next you're gonna point to descriptions of Drow and say all elves are black, and point to the Rashemi and say all Humans are Indian manlets.
>>
>>48657993
Moon witch.
>>
>>48658085
That isn't Unearthed Arcana, it's Elemental Evil.

>>48658104
<race a can have trait x
>nuhuh, subrace p of race a doesn't have trait x, so subrace q or race a can't have trait x

Try again.
>>
>>48658034
>3-3.5 ft tall
Dwarf starts at 3'10''
>>
>>48658108
that doesn't really strike me as witchy, just seems like a weird GOO pact
>>
>>48657076
>>48658050
The defence is the real seller here.

At level 2, bladesingers are probably the hardest things to hit in the entire game if you've rolled good attributes. Still shitty on HP, but eh.
>light armour proficiency plus int modifier to armour and extra speed

Level 6 ability is pissuseless, though. Level 14 ability is pretty lackluster, at best useful if war caster triggers and lets you booming blade someone.

Level 10 ability is okay, probably best as an emergency button to keep you from dying every turn unless you get hit multiple times in a turn.

It honestly is a poorly designed archetype, I believe. .. But not absolutely shitty.
>>
>>48658149
>>
>>48658147
Oh, right, I guess if it technically doesn't qualify.
Still, the point is still standing.

Even DEEP gnomes still have more than enough grounds to qualify for small over dwarfs, being on average about a foot shorter and lighter weight than a dwarf.
>>
File: dungeonworldheights.png (219KB, 1092x707px) Image search: [Google]
dungeonworldheights.png
219KB, 1092x707px
>>48657669
>>
>>48658175
>this shitty bait

Go send an e-mail to wizards and tell them to write next time "Your gnome can be anywhere between X and Y feet and has a size category corresponding to what you choose, and your speed increases if you choose to be a big fat bastard"
>>
>>48658175
The talles a gnome can be given the parameters in the phb is 3'7''.

>"Mmmmmm... That's good bait."-me
>>
>>48658149
Deep gnomes are a different sub-race. Humans and Eladrin are the same height, that's not an argument for putting an extra paragraph explaining how averages work and the ratios of expressed phenotypes in different population groups.

>>48658147
Unless you're arguing that there are more like 10x more Deep gnomes than surface gnomes, then why would the average increase to what you posted?
>>
>>48658185
But a deep gnome can be heavier and taller than a medium dwarf and be considered small. Meanwhile a goliath that has a weight 286% that of a medium dwarf and a height 209% that of a medium dwarf is considered medium.
>>
File: ALL GNOMES.png (545KB, 1840x762px) Image search: [Google]
ALL GNOMES.png
545KB, 1840x762px
>>48658221
>>
>>48658233
3-3.5 is from the elemental evil players companion. It was conveniently covered up by the red in the picture provided.

>"It's just so good... I'm full... But I can't stop eating"-me again
>>
>>48658237
The size category COULD be dynamic to accomodate that a small creature could technically be larger than a medium creature on character creation... But it doesn't, because that's only for extreme cases, and having players decide the size category of their race is a mess.

Also, goliaths get a half-large feature, treating certain checks as if they were large. They don't treat EVERYTHING as if they were a large creature, however, as that could maybe be a little broken even if it wasn't.

It's just generally a risky move to fuck about with racial size categories or make player races of non-standard size categories.
>>
>>48658259
>implying between 3-4 feet=4 feet
>>
>>48658266
See >>48658175

They're usually 3ft to 3.5 but as the PHB states, they can be 4ft. It's just not typical.
>>
>>48658157
Hits me as witchy.
I'm certainly playing a mad witch character with it. Big black hat and all.
>>
>>48658259
>All gnomes are between 3 and 4 feet tall
>All gnomes are between 3 and 3.5 feet tall
Both are correct. One can be discarded, as specific overrides general.
:^)
>>
>>48658291
It states they are between 3 and 4 feet tall. Like I could state humans are between 0 and 1000ft tall.
>>
File: Black Sabbath.jpg (73KB, 670x849px) Image search: [Google]
Black Sabbath.jpg
73KB, 670x849px
>>48657993
Warlock feels more thematically appropriate.
>>
>>48654047
ty
>>
File: IMG-20150701-WA0007.jpg (66KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20150701-WA0007.jpg
66KB, 1280x720px
Goodness, look at all these 'short' tempers.
>>
File: nativeamericans.gif (4MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
nativeamericans.gif
4MB, 600x338px
>>48658309
what is this fucking reacharound interpretation of occam's razor
>>
>>48657993
What do you mean then?
>>
>>48658420
Some monster tit anime garbage probably.
>>
>>48658420
>>48658420
>>48658436
was thinking more like discworld witches. they are sort of all over the classes in DND.
>>48658436
anime witches are just reskinned wizards
>>
>>48658471
Soo...headology, and communication with demons and animals and abstract concepts? Warlock, focusing on invocations like beast speech and beguiling tongue.
>>
>>48658419
wait senpai it makes sense
Gnomes within 3 and 3.5 feet are all within 3 and 4 feet
Just because all gnomes are within 3-4 doesn't mean that there has to be gnomes within 3.5-4
>>
>>48658518
It also doesn't mean there aren't 4 foot tall gnomes~
>>
>>48658534
This is fact, provided the other two statements are also fact
>>
>>48658508
yeah. sounds about right now that I think about it.
>>
>>48658518
This anon gets it.

But seriously, the same entry in the dwarves says between 4 and 4.5... So your just cherry picking the rules to find a loophole so you can... Being a medium gnome? Or a small dwarf? As if that would change anything.
>>
>>48658591
Do you see the word "average" anywhere on my height comparison graphic?
>>
My next character is going to be a beekeeper. I want him to be able to summon (or work with) bees and do all sorts of fun stuff with them. Would he work best as a:
>Grass or forest druid with summoning spells?
>Conjuration wizard?
Ranger with a small swarm of bees as his animal companion? (No summoning in this concept)

Which would work best for the concept I have? He would probably end up being a gnome, so a giant bee mount is also possible for any fitting builds.
>>
>>48658648
Druid.
>>
>>48658622
What are you jabbering about? The gnome entry says 3-4 the dwarf entry says 4-4.5.

4 foot is the cut off, obviously.

Alternatively you could use the random height table and the cut off is more like 3'7'' to 3'10''.
>>
>>48658676
Yeah, I was leaning more towards that too.
>>
>>48658753
The dwarf can be less than 4' according to the random height chart.
>>
>>48658789
Yeah, but the gnome cannot, according to the random height chart.
>>
File: questionmark girl.jpg (38KB, 362x346px) Image search: [Google]
questionmark girl.jpg
38KB, 362x346px
>>48658818
>The dwarf can be less than 4' according to the random height chart

>Yeah, but the gnome cannot
But a gnome is *necessarily* less than 4' by the random height chart.
>>
>>48658818
But he can by the gnome size description :)
>>
>>48658853
You can't cherry pick the rules to magically change size category.
>>
>>48658869
I can cherry pick the rules. The rules are there to be cherry picked.

In your ideal world:
>New player: I want to make an attack with my longsword, what are the rules for that?
>DM: *ahem* Welcome to the world of Dungeons and Dragons...
>... Elves: elves are tall, beautiful ....
>Caltrops: these four-pronged devices puncture the foot and cause...
>Great Weapon Master.....
>Hold Person....
>2 hours later....

>New player: "why did you read the entire rulebook to me, the session is over now."
>DM: "well I can't just CHERRY PICK the rules, you dumb noob lol"
>>
File: cancer.jpg (153KB, 629x596px) Image search: [Google]
cancer.jpg
153KB, 629x596px
>>48658941
This is the dumbest post I have ever seen. I have seen literal posts made of wood and metal that hold things up and they were smarter than your post.
>>
>>48658979
>I post an apt extrapolation of your comments
>"Well ur just dumb XD fag haha."

New friends get OUT
>>
>>48659007

Dude you just owned by an anime poster.
>>
>>48659031
You're stupid.

OWNED AHAHAHAHA HOW DOES IT FEEL NOOBLET?
>>
>>48658941
>>48659007
I actually agree that it's 10000% valid to cherry pick rules, especially in something as trivial as size category or average height, but your post was retarded and is not only barely a response but also indicative of someone who is barely conscious.
>>
>>48659097
Yo, shut up, you're stupid.

H O W
O
W

WILL YOU

E V E R
V
E
R

RECOVER????
>>
File: 1452820795053.jpg (58KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
1452820795053.jpg
58KB, 720x405px
>>48659141
so, are you trolling (badly I might add), or just autistic? I actually can't tell at this point
>>
>>48659189
You're dumb.

BURN HOLY SHIT NEED SOME ICE?
>>
>>48659241
stop posting okay?
>>
We interrupt your gnome size debates to bring you this very special question:
DM's, how do you prepare your dungeons?
Personally, I like to draw a map with a rough sketch of the rooms with outlines of when encounters should happen, and scale them how I feel like.
I also like to draw little sketches of the more important rooms, especially ones with a puzzle (e.g., courtyard, library, etc.)
>>
>>48659352
I use ms paint and make lines, and then use tokens for actual creatures.
I went the path of making detailed battle maps in the past - absolutely not worth it. Describing them is much easier.
>>
>>48659056

Eh, it was funnier when the other guy did it.
>>
File: jpW5TP9.jpg (52KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
jpW5TP9.jpg
52KB, 500x378px
ITT: 14-year old Idiots argue over who is the most moronic.

Is it just me, or was 'Tome of Beasts' pretty underwhelming? Seriously, if I had paid for it, I would have felt ripped off. There are like 7 entries that are "pretty half-naked woman that likes to eat men".
>>
>>48659503
>"You're all idiots hahaha arguing about stupid things. I would never partake in such a discussion because I am a highly intelligent individual who is really really smart. Im so smart I wouldn't ever stoop to your level you idiots haha keep arguing stupid idiots. Im very smart

>"Did I mention that I'm a very smart man?"

>"Hey fellas let's talk about REAL smart men stuff, haha. Because im a smart smart man. so what do you guys think of the children's book that some guy wrote for free?"
>>
>>48659352
If I feel it needs to be drawn, I will usually grab my graph paper book and draw it up. Also if I get inspired to make a dungeon or something I will draw it up. I put all important details in but most non important details I will leave up to theater of mind.
>>
Hello. Is there an offline character builder for 5E yet?
>>
File: DORF.jpg (214KB, 900x542px) Image search: [Google]
DORF.jpg
214KB, 900x542px
>>48654047
>https://mega.nz/#!xIcw0JrS!e_WL2JWFEU7HN0DwK69F9J9MLoe7qv69qez0lDGPWUQ

thanks senpai!
>>
>>48659634
Do you mean something that will generate a character for you or do you mean some sort of app to make character creation faster?
>>
>>48659670
Something similar to the one Wizards had for 4E, before it was abandoned and they did online only thing.
So the later, me thinks.
>>
>>48659703
In truth I never played 4e.

But anyways, I don't think there is anything like that yet, or if there is I have not seen or heard of it yet. Sorry mate.
>>
>>48659772
It's all good. Thanks anyway.
>>
>>48659821
there was a really shitty npc maker last month they never converted to pdf, that might help. but i dont think it its class levels or anything. i never checked though
>>
>>48659703
I think I remember that. It generated names and stuff for you too right?
>>
>>48659634
Forged Anvil is good shit, lots of look up and drop downs. 2.0 just came out.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1234
>>
>>48659634
>>48659772
>>48659859
>>48659908
http://www.orcpub.com/ - not offline.
>>
>>48659929
That's based of the SRD which doesn't have all the races or subraces.
>>
>>48659929
I wish there was a way to save individual characters on this thing so I can make a new one without having to rebuild everything the second I need to level up a character.
>>
>>48660051
Sorry, I meant >>48659919

That import button keeps getting my hopes up, but it does nothing.
>>
>tome of beasts
>chained angel
>immune to 'direct damage spells from divine casters'
>not even angels have this ability
>the ability is so fucking vague
Say, a wizard has a single level in cleric. Not too unusual. Or, perhaps they're a theurgist wizard.
Alright. Is this guy now immune to 'disintegrate' because the guy has links with a god? What if the god is evil? What if the god is good?
Isn't 'immune to radiant damage' enough?

This is the first entry I really read and I'm already feeling let down.
>>
>get in a promising game in roll20
>excite
>now two hours before our first session, only have three players instead of four despite 20+ applications for the game
>DM hasn't given us a skype, discord etc despite it being voice

Why is it so hard to find a game on roll20
>>
Guys I am running Out of the Abyss in a little over an hour here on roll20 and have everything prepared... but I totally forgot to stock my music for the campaign. Can I get a list of recommendations from Soundcloud? Though all I really need is some stuff for Velkynvelve, the prison start.
>>
>>48660302
With people who barely know each other and have little contact, it's very easy for a player to forget or decide they don't want to do things and then nobody will be able to contact them.
Then, anyone hosting public games rather than for friends is probably desperate anyway. Maybe.

Play with friends.
>>
>>48660517
Use dark souls/demon's souls/bloodborne OSTs imo.
Pretty great shit.
>>
>>48660517
http://tabletopaudio.com

plenty of ambiance fitting the underdark
>>
File: 1469748141693.jpg (23KB, 436x432px) Image search: [Google]
1469748141693.jpg
23KB, 436x432px
>>48658941
>>
>>48657993
Warlock. Sold your soul to otherworldly powers.
>>
>>48659503
To be fair, it's basically collated and published homebrew, yeah?
>>
>>48660557
>>48660660
Thanks, I built something reasonable for tonight's session.
>>
>>48658186
This just keeps getting funnier every week.
> how can martial gnomes even compete?
>>
>>48660901
>next week the dwarf will be wielding a trident
>the week after, the gnome will dual wield whips
>30 years from now, when 10th edition is out, goliaths will be Tiny creatures, and there will be an entire splat book dedicated to gnome barbarians
>>
>>48660901
Honestly it keeps getting worse.

This is just an idiot who is buttmad that he was proven wrong and in order to convince people that the original poster of that (accurate) bait image is uncredible, he is screaming and spreading his shit all over the image to make it seem like that is an accurate extrapolation of the original.

Pretty low brow, pretty sad attempt at saving face.
>>
>>48661168
>gnome barbarians
Hey, don't diss the gnomish barbarians. Your balls are in their optimal strike zone.
>>
Someone please do me a favor and check to see if the link I put in this DM's guide I'm making is working

The link I need tested is on the third page, thanks
>>
>>48660536
my friends are all dudebros, none of them have the attention span or the imagination for any form of d&d

hence why I'm on roll20 in the first place. FLGS is all magic autismos so I'm not gonna go try and salvage a game there
>>
>>48661316
am i supposed to be looking at a bunch of dolphin dicks?
because thats what im seeing

that or 2 maps
>>
>>48661382
yeah the maps are what I was trying to share there, thanks m8
>>
>be Turami assassin
>tfw everyone assumes you're a terrorist
>>
>>48661316
Links to an imgur album of maps.
>>
>>48661414

>>48661396
>>
>>48661316
>mr fats mcgee hosting a game for his retard three
>>
>>48661445
pretty much, but there's 5 of them instead of 3
>>
>>48657764
I tried that once
>minimal prep
>pull entire night's game out of my ass
>they think it's really fun
>I'm teetering on the edge of a nervous breakdown the whole game
Never again.
>>
>just got into a new roll20 campaign
>tonight was supposed to be first session, cancelled because a player flaked
>other player is complaining about not being able to play tonight because he can't play any other time this month

SO WHY DID YOU JOIN THE CAMPAIGN

what is wrong with people on roll20?
>>
Tell me what you guys think, this is a synergy build for early levels.

Valkyrie type character that rides a telepathic dire wolf that can go 40mph.

Human 2 Fighter/6 Favored Soul(life)Sorcerer
Warcaster
Inspiring Leader/Tough or MOUNTED COMBATANT
Consecration: Haste, Enlarge, Hold person

Why Favored Soul? Because we're gonna be a duo that tries to flanks, ambush and chases, so we need some survivability, the right spells and flexible enough to survive while separated or out numbered. Divine Soul is one the best buffers and can support heal, but still has a fire ball up the sleeve or can whack someone pretty hard in melee. Starting fighter for obvious reasons, although bard could work well if you want to skill monkey, but Action Surge, plate, saves and fighting styles are just that good.

You're very squishy with your D6 HD and you'll need some survivability. Inspiring leader is amazing and really hard to justify not taking it as a charisma character if you don't already have one in the group. But if your party does, take Tough instead. If you want to live life on the edge and are always mounting up, MOUNTED COMBATANT is great pick but be warned: it's up time might be terrible depending on the campaign style. These levels we need the important stuff, you don't want to delay your ASI too long.

Ghostwise Halfing Moon Druid 8
Warcaster
Charger
Consecration: Enhance Ability, Barkskin, Spike Growth

Ghostwise is by-far my favriote moon druid race, Lucky, Brave and Silent speech so you can communicate in wildshape with a +2 dex and +1 wis and they're really fun to roleplay.
Charger is really good in terms of action economy for hit and run styles, and many wildshapes have melee attacks with various effects, such as prone or poision, that can be used in combination with charger.

Direwolf will be your new favorite form: it's fast, tough, great senses, knock down and does solid damage with pack tactics. The only downside is no dark vision.
>>
>>48661879
Why are you making a character like this is some sort of competitive video game?
>>
>>48661834
>i have no time this month to sit in front of a computer for a few hours
he's just bitching because he wanted to play
>>
>>48661901
One of those types that can't play without trying win the game.
>>
>>48661901
>>48661939
Gaming and roleplaying aren't mutually exclusive, we've been over this a thousand times.

You're not entitled to glory, victory and attention when all you've done is blurt out cliches, write a cringe back story that no one will ever read about how you're the long lost bastard son of Battlehammer.
>>
>>48662295
>Gaming and roleplaying aren't mutually exclusive
Very tr-
>You're not entitled to glory, victory and attention when all you've done is blurt out cliches, write a cringe back story that no one will ever read about how you're the long lost bastard son of Battlehammer.
Buuut you clearly favor one over the other.
>>
>>48662314
D&D clearly favors gamers, look at what the books talk about. There's plenty of other systems that focus entirely on roleplaying.

Anyways, the worst roleplayers are the ones that don't roleplay at the table and instead demand that their concept and backstory carry them.
>>
So has there been any news out of GenCon about what other products are coming out of WotC yet besides the Volo's Monster Guide in a few months?
>>
How would you go about making a Vestige Pact Warlock homebrew? I thought maybe more invocations and the ability to retrain them more frequently, but I'm not sure if that breaks anything or how it fits in the power at 1st, 6th, 10th and 14th structure.
>>
>>48662709
make a list of psct boons that he can switch to as an action, move, or bonus action during his turns. or use middle fingers of vecna's brew, its pretty good.

http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/2016/06/book-of-binding.html
>>
File: 1469841684182.png (224KB, 299x400px) Image search: [Google]
1469841684182.png
224KB, 299x400px
How do they races of Innistrad stack up? We're playing a game in the setting and we can only choose from those four human variants.
>>
>>48651909
>>48651909
whats the encryption key for the first link
>>
>>48662785
if they're the ones im thinking of, they're not bad. they're all basically balanced normal races, that happen to be human. you'll still either pick the one you like, or the one that "fits" your character, since they have alot more fluff than base human
"oh look, im a crossbow wielding human who fights spoopy things, what race should i pick. oh look, theres one who is literally that pictured. presto"

do you mean they're your only choices period, or they're your only HUMAN choices. either way they're fine, just pick the one that "fits" your builds stats
>>
>>48661743
This describes me quite well. Not having prep terrifies me.
>>
>one of my players wants to play a gay dwarf
>no problem with me figure he'll just fuck male whores when the rest of the party is facefirst in disease clams
>he keeps trying to raise awareness for gays in game
>keeps trying to protest for gay rights
>keeps complaining at NPCs that theyre not gay friendly enough
>nobody in universe has had a single issue with gay anything so far

what the fuck even in your fantasy utopia where gay people are 100% accepted he's still doing this.

What do i do
>>
>>48662872
Sit him down and talk to him like an adult...?
>>
>>48662872
make it an issue, have a city that is a gay hating lynching going on and persecutes the gays, Auschwitz style.

then kill him and boot him from your table or alternatively have an adventure with him where he tries to fight the oppressive regime.
>>
>>48662502
>roleplay-heavy campaigns
>that evil player who doesn't give a good reason why the party shouldn't kill them
>that one guy who insists on having backstory relations with everything
>that one guy who constantly assumes NPCs will do things, such as assume they can call for a guard in a city and write as such until the DM has to stop them to tell them the city has no guards, and they should've asked if any were near first
>that one guy who complains whenever they get unlucky roll streaks or something unfortunate happens to them
>that one guy that wastes everyone's time doing something pointless
>that one guy who tries to have sex with everything

I can't pick a 'worst roleplayer' out of all of them. Someone who does all those things would probably be it, though.
>>
>>48662872
Have his father show up acting all upset that he'll never have grandchildren. Then throw the debauchee into a bog, he's clearly touched in the head for identifying with a scat fetish and telling everyone he meets about it.
>>
>>48662980
>that one guy who insists on having back story relations to everything
It's that one.
>>
>>48663028
You wouldn't think this sounds as annoying as the others, but when they try to really shoehorn it in, ESPECIALLY without consulting the DM, they quickly become the That Guy, dethroning all other attempts at being That Guy at the table.
>>
>>48663119
My character is essentially the opposite. He is on the world due to Spelljammer shenanigans and so has zero connection to anything in the world. Every connection has to be made at the table...
>>
>>48662616
WotC aren't even officially at GenCon this year, just Crawford making some appearances.

So no.
>>
https://twitter.com/Pramas/status/762080372419158016

>Critical Role books for 5e
>written by Green Ronin
>>

Here's my take on an "Animal style Kung Fu" based monk archetype: Way of the Southern Styles" (I still need a name that doesn't suck. The goal is to have a monk that has martial options, while still keeping up in damage.

Critiques? What's broken? What makes them still lag behind other martials at later levels?
>>
File: bernout.jpg (88KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
bernout.jpg
88KB, 720x960px
>>48662980
>that guy who gets mad that you don't remember his character's full name, but he only ever says "I" both in and out of character
>that guy who says he's an atheist in forgotten realms
>that guy who thinks lawful good means you have to follow the law no matter what
>that guy who tries to get the mongrelfolk batgirl as an escort by offering it an immovable rod
>that guy who never has any agency, gets asked what his character is doing and replies "nothing" then complains he doesn't get to do anything
>mfw
>>
>>48663327
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>48663350
Viper's strike is just a little bit powerful.
Deers stance is just fucking broken, full stop.

Oh, wait, poison damage is often resisted. Make the necrotic damage on viper's strike poison and we're good. Giving out the poisoned condition for such a long time seems quite powerful, but a lot of things resist it and it does take a small amount of ki.

Deer stance is basically making you into a troll monk.
>>
>>48663476
Probably that they're going to make Mercer's campaign into publishes campaigns.
>>
>>48663476
Theyre writing books based on Critical Role
>>
Tome of Beasts seems really solid

Where can I get the rest of the Kobold Press books, they aren't in the Trove
>>
>>48657764
You've gained a level in DMing anon. Congrats. Now you know most of the best stuff is made up on the spot. Just don't do what I've done and stop prepping altogether.
>>
>>48663477
>Deer stance

I originally had it to where you only regained hit points if you hadn't made any attacks that turn, but the wording was wonky. Would that change make it better?

>Viper's strike

That was a brain fart. Yeah I'll change it back to poison damage.
>>
>>48663510
Despite my initial rants of specific things making sense, reading through it it does actually look pretty nice.
A bunch of interesting enemy concepts I might bring out sometime.

I'm still mad about the chained angel's "Cannot be harmed by a divine caster's aimed spell attack!" thing though.
>>
>>48663655
Anybody who multiclasses cleric/nondivinecaster is just trying (and failing) to power game anyways.

All other scenarios, it is pretty clear when something is a divine caster.
>>
>>48663655
They also have "Strength damage" multiple times in there without explaining what it is or how to get rid of it (since ability damage isn't described in 5e).
>>
>>48663571
I apologize in advance, but making this post was fun.

If that stance is around, it will allow a monk to spend 1 ki to switch into that stance to reach FULL HEALTH in about... Let me do the calculations.
Average gain about 6 health a level, maybe... Half monk level...

Alright. If you have it on all the time, the ability will heal you to full health from 0 in roughly 12 rounds.

If you assume this stance, you will return to full health in one minute. ONE MINUTE.

Now, next, let's look at the champion fighter's capstone, 'survivor'. This level 18 I think it was ability allows the champion to regain 5+conmod health each turn, ONLY if they're under half health.
Just remember that exists.

Alright, next.
The ability, at higher levels, basically gives you the same level of regeneration as a troll. Except it's not stopped by fire or anything.
You can walk across hell and regenerate everything that's burning off of you just as fast. It's just.. absurd.

Next on the rollercoaster of 'Nope.' is the real kicker.
There is nothing that says the stances do not still apply while you are unconscious. Do you know what that means?
Any time a creature takes you out, you will automatically just stand back up. At the end of your turn, sure, but... Still. Wow.

My suggestion is to axe it, and let healers be healers and do healing for you. If you want an ability that heals you, make sure it's limited as there are very, very few things that grant permanent regeneration-like abilities.
>>
>>48663766
Greater Resto gets rid of it.
>>
File: vanillamonster.jpg (329KB, 1335x1779px) Image search: [Google]
vanillamonster.jpg
329KB, 1335x1779px
>>48663766
Yes it is.
>>
>>48663766
I think I remember reading ability damage somewhere. Or, maybe not. I at least know there are spells that restore ability damage and certain things like that walking brain's intellect drain end after a long rest or something.

>>48663760
>theurgist mage (Fuck this, but it exists)
>warlock who has gained powers from a supposedly divine source. Asmodeus could be a cleric god and a warlock god, supposedly.
>players have every right to multi-class into cleric or paladin, really.
>druid who closely follows a nature god
>favoured soul sorcerer
>anyone with magic initiate: cleric
>ranger that closely follows a nature god.
>evil clerics that practically worship devils rather than angels and do all sorts of necromancy. Suddenly, their evil necromancy magic doesn't work?
There's also no real explanation as for why they have that immunity whereas other angels don't.
>angel turned bad is suddenly immune to other angels casting rays of whatever at them
Radiant immunity is enough. Radiant immunity covers most of the 'holy spell' type things, so what more do they want?
>>
>>48663837
I mean generally. There is no "ability damage" info given without context like 3.PF has, which Kobold Press are used to making shit for. Which is ridiculous, because ability damage rules for 3.PF are under OGL, meaning they could have just printed a converted version of it at the beginning of the book or gone with the route most 5e stuff does and describe the effect outright in the stat block.
>>
>>48663760
Why exactly is power gaming morally wrong?
>>
>>48663785
Sweet. I was going the more traditional route, with deer being one of the five main animals, but I'll think of something to change that out for.

Also, in my mind it was kind of assumed stances would end when unconscious, but I'll spell it out.
>>
>>48663917
Yeah. It's kind of implicit, but you should put it down there so we don't end up with horsecasting.
>>
>>48663864
The angel isn't immune to gods, it's immune to the powers of conviction that clerics and paladins draw from. An angel with this rule would be immune to a cleric of atheism (a ludicrous, but still valid possibility in 5e). In other words, it isn't divinity, it is faith that the angel is immune to. Divine just has a specific in game meaning, referring to certain aspects of classes.

As DM, I'd rule based on how you played your character, though a more gamey rule would simply be any character with cleric or paladin levels is shit out of luck spellcasting wise.
>>
>>48663998
Fortunately, my Cleric/Wizard will simply wrestle her to the ground!!!

... I never said my character was optimal :P
>>
>>48663900
I don't think it's morally wrong, it's just weird to try and load the dice when the DM can just adjust the encounters to make it more challenging for the player's build.
>>
>>48657374
Just wanted to bump my post here since I haven't gotten a reply yet. and it seems like it could be reasonably done.
>>
>>48664121
Try maxing out HD and upgrading prof tiers.
>>
>>48663998
I'd just chuck the ability out the window. It's immune to radiant damage, that'll cover the standard things.
I might replace it with something simple like "If you're drawing on the power of the angel's god or one in good standing with their god, a spell that directly harms them will not succeed."

Favoured soul sorcerers, if they exist, do not use the 'power of their convictions', not is it specifically stated that it's the power of convictions or whatever they're immune to. Divine casters might include convictioncasters, but it would probably include theurgist mages/favoured soul clerics and possibly a warlock of some divine power since it hasn't really properly stated what a divine caster is for that. There's not real grounds to assume it's cleric-type casters, though it's implied.
>>
>>48663241
Man, I keep forgetting that. I think they skipped going last year too, I'm just used to WotC at least having some news release during GenCon weekend.
>>
>>48663938
>>48663785
>>48663477

I've changed the stances up a bit. Any opinions on the rest of it, especially the capstone abilities?
>>
>>48663476
They're going to be helping Matt write and release books that are set in his Exandria, with the first one released relating to the continent of Tal'Dore.

Matt has said he'd like to release more books for the other continents in his world.
>>
>>48663350
>>48664165

Me

I'm also working on an Arcane caster archetype for monk. What's more powerful?

> Bonus action to cast a cantrip after an unarmed strike

or

> Flurry of Blows triggers off of a cantrip.
>>
>>48664141
What about class levels for familiars or awakened animals?
>>
>>48664198
Phoneposting and don't have my book with me, but I'd go with bonus action for cantrip.
>>
>>48664165
Most the other stuff seems fine.

Oh, just realized, wolf fangs is on all the time rather than being a stance. I mistook it for being one of the stances.

I think right now wolf fangs is something everyone would take, because unlike the other abilities they don't have to spend any ki for it.

I think maybe the ability should be ki-focused like the others. Something like using the 'help' action.
>>
piss ass piss ass all dwarfs drink piss as
>>
>>48664198
Probably the latter.
>>
>>48664198
>> Bonus action to cast a cantrip after an unarmed strike
This, but reverse the order.
>>
>>48664195
I think it's a good move to let WotC handle the established settings and let other publishers take the risks.
>>
>>48651909
>5e

Meh, wake me up when it has kitsune character options. Yaaaaaaaawn.
>>
>>48664363
weaboo
>>
>>48664363
>Play a druid
>Be able to turn into a fox
Done.
Assuming you don't mean PF's disgusting furry race.
>>
What is the best Monk and how do I play one effectively?
>>
>>48664240
>>48664266
>>48664298

I'm confused.
>>
>>48664404
Depends on what you want from your monk. Wo4E for tons of fun, but little power.
>>
>>48664459
clearly.
>>
>>48664107
>the DM can just adjust the encounters to make it more challenging for the player's build

DMs that up DCs because someone put a lot of points into something are scumbags. Let the rogue do his job! Anyways...

The encounters are chosen by the players at the end of the day, they have the power to choose what quests they want to embark on, what the risks might be, what enemies to engage and how. Parties often don't use the power of information gathering and scouting though, instead they mostly follow the first quest offered to them and start kicking doors down.

Having good gamers in a group is required if you want to enjoy the actual content of the books and get through combat at a reasonable rate. I like power gamers though, they allow me to make silly characters, get through combat at a fun pace and not have to worry about TPKs as much; therefore more time for roleplaying and they don't mind if I hog up the RP spotlight!
>>
File: strahdd.jpg (1MB, 1920x1318px) Image search: [Google]
strahdd.jpg
1MB, 1920x1318px
First time DM running Curse o Strahd. Getting conflicting messages about campaign.

Basically the party never seemed to care about protecting Ireena. I don't know if it was a failure on me to make her an endearing character or if they just don't really care for NPCs.

To cut a VERY long story short Ireena was taken by Strahd after they left her at the Church in Vallaki (because clearly the holy bones couldnt ever be stolen again its impossible)
They had an encounter with Strahd before he left but did good damage to him thanks to the Sunsword.

The party are scared to go to Ravenloft, head towards Amber Temple.

Partway there they encounter Strahd on a bridge with Ireena.
2 things happen:
1) He thanks the Warlock for a job well done. The Warlock had been approached by Strahd's ally and was asked to inform on the party in return for a magic item. The Warlock accepted but had no intentions of informing. Strahd had expected that and was using the item as for Scrying to spy on the party. Interparty conflict occurs.

2) He offers an exchange; Ireena for the Sun Sword. The party tells him to fuck off.
He charms the Paladin that has the sword to hand it over. Rogue grabs it off him. Strahd charms the Rogue. The rogue hands over the sword.
A fight ensues as the 'lock and Barb attack Strahd. Strahd goes invisible and leaves. The party rush to Ireena. Surprise, shes a Vampire Spawn. She attacks for a while then scurries up a cliff to escape. End of session.

Afterwards, I get messages from some players. The Warlock messages me saying it was a really great session and he enjoyed it immensely. The Barbarian messages saying he enjoyed it and that Strahd is a fucking asshole (cool, he hates the villain.)
The Rogue says it was the least fun he's had all campaign because he felt like he wasn't allowed to control his character due to the Charm and because bad shit happened that he couldn't stop.

Am I running the game wrong? I dont want players not having fun.
>>
>>48664404
>playing monk

power gaming weaboo detected
>>
So I just hit level 3 as a Mountain Dwarf fighter. Went champion with Great Weapon Fighting. Would it be good to multiclass? Was possible thinking barbarian.
>>
>>48664584
Paladin, smite crits feel good.
>>
>>48664563
In general, charm effects should be treated with caution when used against players. Player agency is important. If you have an experienced roleplayer on your table, you can have a lot of fun with them. Ask the player before hand if he's cool with it (they usually will be), and then inform him that he's charmed, and tell him in private what his goals are while bewitched. Then trust him to act it out.

I've had a lot of fun this way.
>>
>>48664584
Only multiclass after you get Extra Attack.

Then go wild. Rage and Reckless Attack make barbarian a great dip.
>>
>>48664610
>Player agency is important.

Not if it's a Charisma save to see if they cry and if so how hard.
>>
>>48664401

I want to be a sexy titty fox lady like Ran from touhou
>>
>>48664546
>up DCs
You're a fucking retard. Never get behind the DM screen.
>>
>>48664563
theres never a "right" way to charm, and many players dislike it used against them, since they're a real person obviously not effected. if they take damage, they obviously update their character sheet, if they get frozen or incapacitated, whatever, same thing. charm either makes them have to act out of character, or makes someone else "take their turn" for them, essentially making the person not even need to be in the room

that being said, obviously your paladin didn't say he hated it, otherwise you would have mentioned.
your rogue is salty because thats the kind of person he is, the one that dislikes his turn being taken away. just move on, the rest of your party seemed fine with it, and if you need to use charm in the future, you know who to not mind control.

that being said, maybe the second charm use was a bit much, but if the rogue could just run up and take the sword, but no one else could (and both of them failed their rolls, possibly in the paladins aura) its neither yours, nor the rogues fault he's a whiny babby man. strahd cant mind control all of them at once, the barb and lock possibly just let it happen
>>
>>48664630
How far into barbarian? 3 for Bear totem? Or just stop at 2?
>>
>>48664563
>The Rogue says it was the least fun he's had all campaign because he felt like he wasn't allowed to control his character due to the Charm and because bad shit happened that he couldn't stop

your rogue is just one of those people (also known as huge babbys)

if the other players had a great time, it's not you, it's the rogue. I suppose in the future don't use charm spells on the babby rogue if you can avoid it, but really i'd talk to the rogue and explain that this isn't skyrim and shit doesn't go his way every time.
>>
File: 1398358314095.jpg (121KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1398358314095.jpg
121KB, 640x480px
>>48664730
Too late, I DM three groups and I'm a player in another. Two homebrews, Adventure League and a Thule roll20.
>>
>>48664563
You don't really need the spoiler. Anyway:

>the party never seemed to care about protecting Ireena.
This is because the party is supposed to take a liking to Ismark. Ireena is only a mcguffin. Focus on Rudolph now, and Ismark if he is still alive.

>He charms the Paladin that has the sword to hand it over. Rogue grabs it off him. Strahd charms the Rogue. The rogue hands over the sword.
This is the biggest mistake I see here. Strahd is supposed to respect people who stand up for themselves and show a heavy force of will (this may be why he subconsciously drains the land and its people). When he showed up to offer the Sunsword, he should've respected the deal and fucked off for a bit, or at the very least, respected the deal after the rogue grabbed the Sunsword, and perhaps offered the Rogue a gift or something else. Strahd doesn't honestly believe the party can defeat him, so that arrogance needs to be a flaw. He would just be talking to them and toying with them, not casting mind domination spells on them. In Ravenloft he'd be a bit more worried, especially since Mordenkainen almost killed him.
>>
So I was taking a dump just now

And I thought to myself, what if there was an evil Cleric spell called 'Create Filth,' as opposed to 'Create Food and Water,' that either conjured or transmuted shit?
What kind of utility does shit have?
>>
>>48664976
slippy
>>
>>48664563
I wouldn't have had Strahd charm both the pally and the rogue, that's kinda bullshit.

use anything that takes away player agency very sparingly, depending on your players. I have a friend who would straight up just stop wanting to play when ANYTHING like that happened to his character, like being blinded by a spell or something, getting knocked prone, etc.

those kinds of people are playing the game to win or to fufill power fantasies, and when they're not the greatest bestest special-est person in the game world they get pissy.
>>
>>48664976
Someone will ruin it with their diaper or sodomy fetish within the first session.
>>
>>48665051
I'm playing with normalfags, that won't be happening. It'll be a villain's spell at first, anyway, so they wouldn't start by knowing it.
>>
>>48664563
i don't understand people complaining about charm and mind control stuff
like there is a first level spell called sleep that removes player agency entirely
and there is even a real life thing called sleep that does the same thing
removing your real life player agency
like you can just think of it as your character falling asleep if you really need too, except you are just sleep walking
fuck
>>
>>48665033
>I have a friend who would straight up just stop wanting to play when ANYTHING like that happened to his character
>getting knocked prone

I'd send a night hag or oni, maybe both, after the little squirt every night that just grapples him in his sleep, punches him in the dick and then flies away when everyone wakes up.
>>
>>48665091
>>48664976
one of the flavor cantrips, maybe wizard? druid? can dirty objects instead of clean them
>>
>>48665033
I kinda regret doing the second charm, but my thought at the time was that he really REALLY wants the sword. It fucks him over really hard, and his self preservation would trump his respect for strong will. Also as far as he knows now, the rogues will is shit because it couldn't resist his charm.
>>
>>48665393
maybe even work it in next time. the rogue is now the one Strhad attempts to bribe or corrupt specifically and let the rogue just disagree however he wants
>>
>>48659703
Hero Lab has 5e, though I've only used it for Mutants and Masterminds which it worked great for. It costs money, so for something as simple as 5e it doesn't actually seem worth it.
>>
>>48664971
In prior encounters Strahd has acted just like that, but with the only weapon in Barovia capable of single handedly murdering him, all bets are off. I guess I could have done it differently and in hindsight I probably should have. The deal was rigged from the start though, Ireena was already turned. All courtesy and game-playing is out the window when the Sun Sword is out the window.
>>
So just finishing DMing my first session of Out of the Abyss.

>My party spends the first day talking to their fellow prisoners and getting a feel for them on who would be useful to help escape.
>During chores our Rogue shit talks one of the Drow guards just so he would get a beating so he could steal his key chain, with he does with success.
>Later that night the Rogue and the Deep gnomes plane to raid the guard tower for armor and weapons to help escape.
>They make it inside just as the guard duty shifts and manage to gather a large pile of gear.
>However one of the Gnomes drops something making a loud noise and there at the door is Jorlan just starring at the fuckery.
>After reading over Jorlan's back story, I thought it was appropriate he try to make a deal with the prisoners to help them escape, just so he can fuck over his ex-gf and her new boyfriend.
>Rogue returns the keys he stole hoping Jorlan would return them saying he found them "lying around." Which he does.
>This doesn't stop Ilvara by holding a meeting the next morning giving a long winded speech on "Obedience" and "Drow>Everyone."
>She then ends it by pushing the Dwarven girl (random pick) over the edge to feed to the spiders just to make a point and to scare the prisoners from trying to escape.
>I basically had her believe that the keys were just misplaced but still wanted to kill a prisoner just to set the tone of the Underdark and the Drow.
>Party now wants to find away to save the Dwarf girl because all they saw was her getting wrapped up in a cocoon to be saved for later.

Should I give them the option to save her or should I just call her dead? I am still kinda new to DMing and was really second guessing myself tonight if I was being too edgy or too easy on the party.
>>
>>48651909
Thread's not gonna live terribly much longer, but gonna post this here anyway. Revised 14th level ability on the advice of one of the players I play with that technically the wording was allowing for enemies to take damage from multiple effects as a possibility, and that keeping track of specific lighting conditions of an area given that was obnoxious to keep track of for play.

Also changed up the wording on Mind's Eye to remove a redundant sentence and make it more clear you may only choose to use the feature after having dealt psychic damage to a creature.
>>
>>48665453
When the sun sword is concerned, I mean.

I'm wondering what I should do next with the sword. Should I have Strahd stash it somewhere in Ravenloft?
>>
>>48665481
Possibly, or he tosses it to the depths of Lake Luna. I dunno if it's possible but maaaaybe try corrupting it?
>>
>>48665476
personally, if the party showed interest in saving her then I'd make it possible.

if your players ever go after a "carrot" that gets them involved in the game, let them

also DMs should never second guess themselves. players can smell weakness
>>
>>48657764

>tfw your first time
>players were supposed to go to a city to save a rogue basically immediately, send guildies instead
>The cultist introduction is fucked, aswell as a bunch of other stuff
>instead make the session about them investigating this corrupt coward dwarf and legal documents.
>Manage to introduce the invisible ship anyway since their boat got crushed by it.
>Adventure rerailed

>now
>only prep is the rough scenes i want the players to see, aswell as some important names
>encounters, depending on importance, may or may not be set up on the spot depending on the situation
>fighter ends up soloing 8 guards and a knight when failing the sneaking part of trying to bust his friends out of prison.
>>
>>48665504
Corrupting it isn't really doable, its the remnants of Sergei's sword that gained sentience out of desire to gain vengeance for its blade being destroyed, and became a Sun Blade. Strahd attempted to have it destroyed in the past, so I guess he would try again and fail? Throwing it into a lake afterwards would make sense, but how do I hint to the party where it is?
>>
>>48665476
You should let them try. Out of the Abyss is set up to be more like Alice in Wonderland than some gritty SAW movie. Honestly, you should be happy that they give a shit. Whenever players suggest something you didn't expect you should smile. Even if what they're planning is a bad idea or going to kill them.

And really, randomly killing the dwarf girl was dumb because they are set up to meet her lord Bruenor later. So again, you should at least let them try so they don't look like a bunch of goobers.
>>
>>48665519
Thanks. And to clarify.

>Had the prisoners lined up at the edge of the platform, over looking the spider webs bellow.
>Numbered all the prisoners from top to bottom then rolled to see who would be pushed.
>Number lands on our Rogue.
>He's been RPing really well and his character has been waving and complimenting Ilvara every day when he sees her (he's one of those "I hope I can talk my way out of this" character.)
>She grabs him by the shoulder, rocking him back and forth, threateningly about to push him before asking. "Have any more words that can stop me from doing what I am thinking of right now?"
>He says something flirty and rolls pretty decent with his persuasion so I let him live.
>Though I replaced him with the Dwarven girl standing next to him cause I thought it would be a good twist and show just how much of a bitch Ilvara is.
>>
>>48665556
I would think Strahd puts the sword in his brother's tomb down in the crypts of Ravenloft, probably being the best/safest place he knows of to stow it away.

He could also go to the temple where the other Dark Powers are at and store it there, under the (erroneous) guise of thinking They would never let the adventurers leave the temple with it. And the Dark Powers give 0 fucks either way, they just like to watch people squirm.
>>
>>48665581
>And really, randomly killing the dwarf girl was dumb because they are set up to meet her lord Bruenor later.

Ohhhh fuck, I did not read too far in the book for that part. Yeah, I am totally gonna make her survival a thing. I already know I am gonna have the Vroks attack the outpost so maybe one of them lands into the webbing and somehow tosses her cocoon within reach of the party when they escape.

>Out of the Abyss is set up to be more like Alice in Wonderland than some gritty SAW movie.

Right, though in the first chapter I really just wanted to point out how much of dickwads these particular Drow are.
>>
>>48665637
Putting it in a family tomb is more symbolic because if they party get's it they'll put him to rest.
>>
>>48665637
The latter could work, but they're heading to the Amber Temple now, itd be a little weird to have Strahd taking the sword be such a major thing and then it's just sitting in the next location theyre heading to. I like stashing it in Sergei's tomb more.

I'll have another read of the Ravenloft section and see if theres a better place.
>>
>>48665556
Hmm, yeah. See the Sword makes it a hell of a lot easier to kill Strahd and is sorta "unfair" that the party can't get it again to help in this task. Leave it in the castle, maybe traces of clues where it could be, like the sword can call out to someone CG when they are close enough.
>>
>>48665668
>Yeah, I am totally gonna make her survival a thing.
Feel free to have prisoners die but really try to make their ends befit their character if you can. If she dies she's supposed to be doing brave dwarf shit as she gets cut to pieces. Jimjar should die taking a risk, Stool should die if he's separated, that sort of thing.
>>
>>48665478
Revisions for days.
>>
How much should a "bowl of holding" hold, if it can only carry liquids?
>>
>>48665999
all of my feels, tripsman
>>
>>48664563
Why wasn't the Sunsword already out as soon as Strahd showed up?
>>
>>48666016
I dont know, ask the paladin. The rogue had drawn his bow and the warlock was aiming his blasting finger, but the paladin kept the sun sword at his belt for some reason.
>>
New Thread: >>48666081
>>48666081
>>48666081
>>48666081
>>48666081
>>
>>48666054
What level and archetype is the paladin?
>>
>>48666098
8, Oath of Vengeance. I don't understand it either. Though Strahd would have just told him to turn the blade off regardless.
>>
>>48666117
If it was out, there's a fair chance it would have dusted Ireena before the combat started.
>>
>>48657764
Been there. I've also been
>over an hour of technical issues for online game
>downtime puts everyone in weird mood
>players doing their own thing, enjoying letting it happen then forget to ask for rolls in appropriate situations
>players keep doing weird shit, weird mood keeps flipping me between "yeah sure, whatever" and looking for some kind of applicable rule for long time
>forget how to do villain voice
>forget parts of villain speech

So it can go both ways. I definitely blame the technical issues
>>
>>48661190
>This is just an idiot who is buttmad that he was proven wrong and in order to convince people that the original poster of that (accurate) bait image is uncredible, he is screaming and spreading his shit all over the image to make it seem like that is an accurate extrapolation of the original.
lmao you are so wrong about me.... thats honestly hilarious
>>
>>48664563
2) He offers an exchange; Ireena for the Sun Sword.
I don't think Strahd would do that. She's supposed to be very important to him.
Look at what he did to the village of Berez, in the past.

> The party rush to Ireena. Surprise, shes a Vampire Spawn.
I don't think Strahd would treat Ireena as such.
It is stated numerous times in the book that he'd trap her in a crypt for all eternity.

> The Rogue says it was the least fun he's had
Don't pay attention much to these little quips.
Sometimes a player is frustrated but that's always 100 times better than him not caring.

I'm going to run Curse of Strahd in a week. Do you have any advice?
>>
>>48666915
Nobody asked for your sub80 IQ brain-dead input on the matter. Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>48666814
I haven't run any longer games yet, but if I do I'll be using it, it's pretty neat. I start at level 3 so I think I'd start using it at 5+ and take it one step down so two high level characters completely exhaust the list. Higher level characters in general should be separate I feel, if they start with some magical items and stuff just getting 10 different tool proficiencies / languages etc. feels a bit weird. For those middle levels it seems really neat though.
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.