[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Sorcerer Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 359
Thread images: 41

File: 1451410154786.jpg (105KB, 600x886px) Image search: [Google]
1451410154786.jpg
105KB, 600x886px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Old Thread
>>48624261

>July 2016 Unearthed Arcana
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/quick-characters

>August 2016 Unearthed Arcana
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/faithful/

What other sorcerous origins would you like to see Wizards put out?
>>
>>48634665
>What other sorcerous origins would you like to see Wizards put out?
I want to see a sorcerer dedicated to summoning, because I feel like the conjuration wizard just doesn't do the trick for me. How they fluff that is less important.

But I'm gonna post these two things because I would like for people to playtest them with me if they'd want to. The more data the better.
>>
>>48634707
what's wrong with conj wizard?

i glanced at them briefly cause I wanted to do some sort of summoner class, but didn't really go in-depth.
>>
>>48634707
And the familiar.

>>48634715
Nothing - it's just not as flashy as I'd like. A little dull, actually.
How concentration functions in 5e really kicks summoners in the butt to begin with.
>>
>>48634665

Well, let's look at what we've got so far.

Draconic (dragons), Wild Magic (arcane), Favored Soul (divine/positive energy plane), Shadow (shadowfell/negative energy plane), and Storm (elemental chaos).

So we're probably looking at something from the Abyss (Demonic or Devil), Feywild (Fey), and the Far Realm (Astral). Of these the Far Realm one is probably the hardest, because most things from there are meant to be Cthulu-like stuff... I think the only thing that might work is that somehow your ancestors were slaves of illithids/Mind Flayers, somehow escaped, but their time in slavery and not getting their brains eaten got them tainted with psionic stuff?
>>
should my Tempest Theurge take Elemental Adept (Lightning) or Ritual Caster (Cleric) as my Human Feat?

>>48634665
I'm surprised by how well they have supported the Sorcerer in UA and Sword Coast. A Fey Origin would be cool though or Elemental ones for more than Lightning.
>>
>>48634811
I guess as long as they can both see each other it would be looking at it?
>>
>>48634726
Yeah. Oddly, Druids make better summoners than a wizard dedicated to conjuration. The only spell they don't get that would pertain to summoning is Find Steed, which is easily remedied. All you really need to do is take Circle of the Land, add Conjuration Spells, and replace the archetype features with ones that give moderate bonuses to summoning. Also replace Wild Shape with a scaling version of Hound of Ill Omen from the UA Shadow Sorc.
>>
>>48634851
>scaling version of Hound of Ill Omen
That thing is already ridiculously good. Disadvantage on spell saves just by being next to it is too real.
>>
>>48634846
I skipped part of it reading, "actively averting their gaze" seems to mean as long as they know of it they can just not look you in the eyes. I'm just reminded of Basilisk mechanics for looking away.
>>
>>48634851
Conjuration is about more than using minions though, it has Plane Shift, Cloud Kill and Teleportation spells as well. The idea of Conjuration is about moving things around in existence and sometimes bringing them from the ass end of nowhere. Necromancy and Enchantment both support minions as well but both schools have more than one type of spell that makes people drawn to them.
>>
>>48634882
>"actively averting their gaze" seems to mean as long as they know of it they can just not look you in the eyes
I don't think that would be a totally unfair ruling, though I'd be more apt to treat it such that part of the ability magically draws your gaze to the warlock if you look in their general direction, so you'd either need to close your eyes or stare at the floor, ceiling, or backwards to completely negate the possibility you could be hit by it.
That being said, it's not the worst thing in the world to take 2d4 psychic damage and effectively lose your next round on a failed save. Attacking with disadvantage all the time just to negate that possibility might not be worth it, even if you know that the warlock in question has such an ability.
>>
The 5e system works really well, except it isn't mechanically sound when it comes to balancing encounters, which is really such a mess that NOT EVEN THE OFFICAL ADVENTURE WRITERS USE THE ONE PROVIDED IN THE DMG. Worse, it doesn't provide a method of accounting for magic items in combat, which makes the whole Magic and Item aspect of the game(Artificer, Crafting, etc) really take it in the ass.
>>
>>48634924
Since this is a player ability it is such a small issue, with monsters the characters may meet them many times but if you enforced those rules with this it would still almost never come up.
>>
HEY /tg/, CHECK OUT MY HOMEBREW ITS PRETTY GOOD.

Its got some mystic-like elements to it now. Thoughts?
>>
>>48634930
Crafting rules suck dick. Anything more than uncommon is not viable for most campaigns.
>>
>>48634930
I do like playing a crafter class but they piss off everybody else at the table by taking up time to build some shit you don't need just so you feel special. Crafting magical items over a long downtime period, potions/poisons and spell scrolls should only be done when needed because no reasonable person is going to spend a fucking month to make something that might kill him in the process to get it half price.
>>
>>48634961
I refuse to read the word shadow that many times
>>
>>48634873
It would start heavily nerfed and work it's way up towards that in terms of power and effectiveness. You'd essentially start with Familiar+, and work your way up to the Hound.

>>48634900
Yeah, but we're talking Summoners specifically, not simply Conjuration. I'm not saying the Conjurer is bad, merely that it's misleading for being something that suggests summoning.
>>
>>48634979
>>48634961
it appears 261 times in the pdf.
>>
>>48634979
Why? Just skim over it, you can ignore the thematic bullshit and focus on the mechanics aspect.
>>
>>48634948
Yup - I don't think it's too bad for a PC at all to have that as a tool. I think the mechanical benefit of it is in line with Dark One's Blessing from fiend if we're just talking about combat efficiency.
>>
>>48634980
Okay, that doesn't sound too bad.
I enjoy things that scale.
>>
>>48634980
A summoner could be its own Wizard tradition eventually. They can only make so many before they have to start using specific ones like it.
>>
>>48634963
>>48634966

Which is exactly the issue. The reason for this is that by putting Useful Crafting Mechanics in the hands of the players you run the risk of unbalancing the party. This wouldn't be an issue if the DM had a method of determining just how unbalanced Magic Items would make the party, and would be able to adjust encounters accordingly.
>>
>>48634961
Does a "shadowcaster" need it's own class?

trim it down and make it a sorcerer origin
>>
>>48635022
Most of the magic items my players encounter are either consumables or else just fun utility things like rings of jumping.
I don't give things that benefit raw mechanics until usually mid to late game, and often they'll just be basic things like slightly magical weapons so that my players can actually fight all the shit that's resistant to non-magical weapon damage.
>>
>>48635054
I don't think it does.
I can't really think of many things that actually need their own class when archetypes of existing classes can cover almost anything.
>>
>>48635054
>>48635074
eh, we could argue for or against it for quite some time.

For now, im just trying to figure out a new/different way to handle a type of spell progression. This iteration copie sideas offthe mystic, but uses its own cost table to try to tone down from the mystics power level..
>>
>>48635074
that being said, i personally enjoy when things "dont fit" on purpose. if there was another "change selfs body to do damage" it doesn't necessarily need to be a druid, it could easily be a fey themed sorc or something.

but that sure as heck doesn't mean it need to be its own "weredude" class
>>
>>48635106
Yeah. You can play an oath of the ancients paladin and a nature cleric incredibly similarly in terms of fluff. You could actually just run the same damn character just with different mechanics. Same for other stuff.
>>
>>48635074
As a general rule I'd say a class would need either a new mechanic or a strong enough theme to break into distinct smaller archetypes (and that still usually feels like pushing it) to justify not just being an archetype. I don't particularly see why the idea of a shadow-magic-man is that different from an illusionist spin on warlock or sorcerer personally
>>
>>48635136
Now this has got me trying to think of character concepts that actually *would* need their own class.
I was thinking shaman, but then I can see tuning a warlock or druid into that role pretty easily.
>>
>>48635151
>shaman
well, dragon shaman could probably be a pretty easy paladin spec, but the oaths would be weird
regular shaman though, i could see druid pretty easy, lock would be harder since it needs a pact (and to be different than fey)

marshal (which was similar to dragon shaman in the aura aspect, but was a shit fighter) could easily even be bard, rather than fightman
>>
>>48635151
I think shaman could work so long as it wasn't basically just a druid. If it was more about getting possessed by spirits to get different bonuses or whatever it could work (I think that's what binders were back in 3.5, but I never really looked much at that book). That's sort of samey with how psionics seem to be going by what we've seen in UA though

A martial type that picks a lot of it's features the same way as a warlock does with invocations might be one. I have no idea what that actually might be though. Also a class like paladin or ranger with an arcane focus, but with as many gish options as there are it's kind of pointless.
>>
>>48635136
even though the shadow magic man does things pretty differently than an illusionist warlock or sorcerer?

>>48635151
how about an initiator from the tome of battle?
>>
>>48635216
>lock would be harder since it needs a pact
Easy. You could just come up with some spirit being.

>>48635224
Tbh I might work on a shaman warlock archetype. That would be fun - just have the patron chassis be a powerful and primordial spirit being.
Fuck it. I'm doing it.

>>48635237
>how about an initiator from the tome of battle
I don't remember that desu. Only things I focused on out of ToB were crusader and warblade back in the day, which can be pretty easily covered on fighter/paladin frames if not even others I think.
>>
File: doin it.jpg (12KB, 165x305px) Image search: [Google]
doin it.jpg
12KB, 165x305px
>>48635255
This will be the spirit I'll be having in mind as the example.
>>
>>48635237
martial adepts would be neat, but I'm a bit stumped on what I would actually do. Maybe just something like a martial class that only gets one extra attack, but a shit ton of expertise dice and ways to use it that are more overtly magical. Maybe even starting with that high level battlemaster thing where they gain a minimum amount of expertise dice when they roll initiative very early on to match up with the old "encounter based" thing
>>
>>48635255
crusader and warblades are both initiators bruh.
>>
>>48635255
He means initiator in the same general sense as 'caster'
>>
>>48635287
>>48635294
>an initiator
I thought for some reason "initiator" was being referred to as a class in and of itself.
It's been a few years since I've played any 3.5 that wasn't limited to PHB (God help me) only.
I think crusaders and warblades can be pretty easily adapted to fighter/paladin at the very least.
>>
>>48635255
>Easy. You could just come up with some spirit being
thats what i thought at first also, but when i think "shaman" i think making pacts like street shaman do in shadowrun
other than "aspect" spirits, i dont think "rat" is on par with "giant ass named Demon that has books written about him"
>>
>>48635323
>when i think "shaman" i think making pacts like street shaman do in shadowrun
Ah, yeah, for a shaman like that I don't think I'd use warlock as a chassis for it. You could possibly finagle it by having a whole spirit realm as your patron though. Wizards basically did that with their Undying Light archetype.
>>
>>48635304
I really like warblades, but I think both crusader and warblade were more about finding a way for those types of classes to work in a caster filled 3.5 game than necessarily having a very different concept from say fighter, barbarian, or paladin. Swordsages were a bit more unique I think, but even then they were basically just made to be monks that don't suck. Still I think you could justify them as their own classes by pulling a mechanic out of your ass since they basically have always existed as ways to play old concepts in different ways
>>
>>48635337
>I think both crusader and warblade were more about finding a way for those types of classes to work in a caster filled 3.5 game
Yeah, that's exactly how I feel too. It was WotC's way of trying to bridge a disturbing mechanical gap.
>>
>>48634930
>NOT EVEN THE OFFICAL ADVENTURE WRITERS USE THE ONE PROVIDED IN THE DMG

Source?
>>
Plugging my rogue archetype concepts again.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyGRUsiD

I've posted this before, and made some changes, but I also added a new rogue archetype and would love some feedback.

Revolutionary
> Martial / Mental Support
> Che, IRA, etc.

Ruffian
> Strength based rogue, grappler
> The goon, hired muscle, thug

Prowler
>Time thief
> Prince of Persia, Tracer (Overwatch), Bill & Ted
>>
>>48635364
>Ruffian
>Strength based rogue, grappler
>The goon, hired muscle, thug
I like this conceptually, since rogues get expertise which they can put into Athletics, and multiclassing is gay.
>>
I really like this Shaman, I've seen a few with archetypes like witch doctor, guardian etc. like druids, how they use their powers, but this one is more like cleric domains where you commit to a certain type of spirit. Maybe still not enough for its own class but since my setting focuses on spirits/souls a lot it makes sense there.

Otherwise I replace Ranger with Blood Hunter, but most homebrew classes are just 1. a whole new thing to learn and get used to, and 2. can be done either as well or better as an archetype.
>>
>>48635348
also trying to give martials something besides spamming "I attack"
>>
>>48635394
Yup.
>>
How do I make an adventure that isn't total shit? I just finished HotDQ for my friends and now I wanna try something original.
>>
>>48635389
"So many words" is my first reaction, given 5e's design goals.
I'd have to look through the whole thing to make a proper judgement though, since even if I think it has way too much content for a class that doesn't actually say anything about how it might play out on a table.
>>
>>48635389
>>48635427

I was just about to say something similar, it's just so overwhelming. It could also be the fact that it comes with like 6 archetypes.
>>
>>48635416
Start reading other adventures. Long ones, short ones, old ones from previous versions, etc.

Get a feel of how each one is paced, sized, and what information is and isn't provided. Get an understanding of how each one has a specific goal, and all the options it gives the players to achieve that goal.

After all that, copy whatever formula you've come to understand and run it. It'll probably be ass, but it might be good. Just keep doing it.
>>
>>48635458
Which published adventures would you say are particularly good? My friends and I are pretty new to pen and paper games in general.
>>
>>48635394
Has there been a homebrew thing that fixes the simpler things for more experienced groups? I would be extremely surprised to see anyone in my group play a champion fighter now, and martials in general aren't too fun to play for them because of just attacking. I know the "everyone gets maneouvres" from the playtest wasn't completely right but I feel like something like that could work like AD&D worked.

>>48635427
>>48635448
Yeah it's quite big, I was lurking in the thread when it was being playtested and reported on/discussed so that helped a lot. At this point it's very integrated into my setting but as I has as my first point, a lot of classes means a lot to learn, which isn't always a good thing.
>>
>>48635475
I'm running both Lost Mine of Phandelver, and Curse of Strahd right now. Both are pretty solid.
>>
>>48635054
how would you make that class a sorcerer origin?
>>
>>48635364
>>48635384
On ruffian, when I first saw how Bullying Tactics functions my reaction was to think "the grapple attempt should be a bonus action" like Tavern Brawler. But then I remembered I'm talking about Rogue, which doesn't get extra attack, so I withdraw that sentiment.
I think Aggressive Negotiation is neat for utili-fluff actually.
For Hold 'em Still I'd remove the 'within 5 feet' requirement to grant an ally advantage.
I actually think I like Fighting Dirty quite a bit, though I find myself feeling like I'd want something to what it gives earlier than 17. Though one probably doesn't *actually* need it earlier, given rogue chassis is pretty solid to begin with.

One thing I'd worry about with the archetype is their actual durability in a fight. They're based off of Strength, so their armor class isn't exactly going to be stellar. Maybe give them medium armor proficiency, or something like damage resistance against the target they're grappling or something.
>>
>>48635364
These are pretty neat. The revolutionary feels like it would require a Political Campaign to make sense though but the Ruffian is something I've been dying for Wizards to release.
>>
>>48635394
>>48635482

I feel like this depends entirely on your skills as a DM to set up creative encounters. I have a group that is Barbarian, Bard, Ranger, AT Rogue, and Sorcerer, and rarely is there an encounter where the Barbarian, Ranger, or Rogue just attack.

Environmental conditions, win conditions other than reducing enemies to 0 HP, unique monster strategies / boss mechanics where the group has to work together or figure out the "pattern" are all steps you can take to stop..."well I attack again."
>>
>>48635486
probably by trimming it down. Taking what's core to the class / makes it unique as well as what's beneficial for a Sorcerer, and applying those to the archetype formula.
>>
>>48635524
3.5 the balancing act was absolutely absurd though, which is the addition we were referring to.
Trying to make encounters where the monk feels useful while the wizard doesn't just yawn and watch the pawns from the sidelines was not really usually a thing in 3.5.
>>
>>48635524
I remember the barb in my group wanting to retire (and he did) because he was tired of just attacking and stuff, and similar complaints have come up, but I don't think I would mind at all just attacking, thinking of some tactics, describing how you kill people, etc. But it's always going to be more fun being a battlemaster than champion I think, as long as you can remember to use the mans and stuff.
>>
>>48635536
thats what i mean though. what do you trim down? Its core is already there, very barebones. the real meat is with the paths you choose and what mysteries you focus on.

Nothing in the other classes is quite like it.
>>
>>48635492
I'm really happy with where Ruffian is at at this point. But yeah, I was concerned about the archetype's survivability. My first idea was to include a "tough" feat inspired feature, where their HP or Constitution is buffed somehow. Maybe a feature where they can pull a friendly in to take the hit for them ala goblins, kobolds, etc.

>>48635500
Awesome! Thanks, that makes me feel like I'm on the right track.
>>
>>48635364
>Also, at the end of any turn where you don’t take the attack action, you can move yourself ahead in the initiative order by 1.
This maybe isn't bad enough to be an issue, but if you get magic initiate/high elf for gfb/bb you will always attack without taking the attack action.
>>
Been thinking about how to make this game more fun than it is right now. One of the big problems is that binary d20 rolls are retarded and boring.

So:

>steal apocalypse world's system.
>If you roll less than or equal to 5 under the target number, you can choose to succeed, but the DM gets to qualify your success with a disadvantage, or NPC based counter (such as an enemy monster counter attacking, or a fumble after success, or in diplomacy, the shopkeeper agreeing to sell, but only if you do X first, etc, etc).
>If you roll more than 5 under the target number, you fail, and the DM gets to give you a disadvantage.
>If you roll 5 or more over the target number, you succeed, and you get some advantage.
>>
>>48635684
The rogue will most likely dominate initiative anyway.
>>
>>48635700
Yeah it's not exactly going to be abused.
>>
>>48635692
Fuck of Virt.
>>
>>48635684
Didn't think of that, good catch! I'm not sure if that's really broken though. I imagine that if any fight goes on long enough, they get to move forward in the initiative order regardless.

>>48635692
stop playing or find different people to play with.
>>
>>48635692
I realize this wasn't entirely clear, so I'll sum it up this way:

Say the AC of the target is 15.

If you roll 9 or below, you fail with some disadvantage.
If you roll either 10, 11, 12,13,14, you can choose to succeed, but with a disadvantage.
If you roll 15, 16,17,18,19, you succeed.
If you roll 20 or more, you get an advantage.

>>48635709
Disturbing trend that I've noticed recently: people who suggest fixes or problems with the game referred to as Virt. Also, If I recall, Virt hated the * World games.
>>
>>48635715
You could just let them move up every turn no matter what. I don't think it would break it.
>>
>>48634930
The only one that's truly fucked is Hoard of the Dragon Queen, and that was because it was finished before the MM.

The rest are hardcore sandboxes, so the encounters are meant for a certain level of party - but probably not your party's level.
>>
>>48635281
I would have them built like a ranger or paladin's pacing, but their spells are maneuvers and they get stances.
>>
>>48634930
5e could do with a wealth system instead of a money system. Such system would also have the benefit of being easily factored into with the CR guidelines, as a wealthy party would be expected to hit above their level.

>>48635727
Continuing:

Some suggested advantages/disadvantages
>Attack Action
>disarm/be disarmed
>tripped up/trip up
>basically free maneuvers
>to keep it simple, only the first attack has this rule applied to it. Extra Attacks are normal DnD.

Diplomacy
>you get to ask the NPC a single question and they'll answer truthfully
>the NPC gets to ask you a single question, which your character has to answer truthfully.
>you get to ask the DM a single question about the NPC and they will answer truthfully, but the NPC doesn't know anything
>The NPC learns something about your character, without your character knowing about it. The DM gets to ask 3 questions, which you have to answer truthfully. The NPC learns one of these answers, though you don't know which.
Sort of an abstract one, this would be based on social maneuvering, that either you or your opponent was able to maneuver you into unwittingly answering a question, and your character may not have even known the question was being asked.
>>
>>48635745
>That having to fight a dragon and the vampire in HotDQ

yeah good fucking luck
>>
>>48635776
Are DMs not already subjective with die results? Like, is this not a natural thing or emergent gameplay that everyone does?

Attack or skill check, barely making a roll or completely smashing / failing a roll already happens, at least in games I DM.

Does everything have to be hard coded for you?
>>
>>48635776
Play a narrative game man, this will never work well in 5e. Good GMs will have worse results for bad rolls and better results for very high ones, it's not too binary in that respect. And in combat, you would have to rebalance literally the entire system.

>extra attacks are normal D&D
nice one
>>
>>48634961
put ``` twice on sequential lines to bump shadow magic reserves to the next column

paths really convolute the class, just give them warlock like casting and add your new spells in

some stuffs a tad unbalanced, like a 100ft range cantrip for 2d4 with a 3x crit mod? seems a bit munchkin for my liking
>>
>>48635364
>you can use your reaction to give a friendly creature within 5 feet advantage on an attack roll against that creature until end of turn.
Wording's a bit weird here. Does it give advantage on attack rolls until the end of their turn, or for one attack they make during that turn?
>>
>>48635813
Also, isn't Fighting Dirty a bit on the strong side? I know Thief gets an extra turn but this is every time you deal sneak attack damage, which is almost every turn as long as you hit.
>>
>>48635776
bruh if you wanted to play 2 truths and a lie you should have done a better job at making friends in high school / college so you can play drinking games with people that don't like you.
>>
>>48635796
I don't know the answers to your rhetorical questions anon. What I do know is that with certain types of players, if you try to pull disadvantages on them that the vanilla rules don't support, you get complaints. Having these things laid out before hand, in a ruleset that the group agrees upon is just a better idea in general. Also, it makes it more fun IMO. One of FFG's good innovations with star wars for instance was letting the players pick what their advantages were instead of the DM.

>>48635802
There is no current rules support that. And at least with what I've seen playing DnD, most groups reserve the degrees of success/failure to extremes. So a roll of 5 against an AC of 16 is still just a miss, but once you hit 1, then you get into fumbles. Similarly with high rolls, except for skill checks. Players will expect an extreme success on a natural 20 skill check (even though there is no rule for this, and you can trigger /tg/ by suggesting there is one).

But for everything in between 1 and 20, you have either straight misses, or straight hits. Which is too binary for my tastes.

Adding in homebrew rules to codify the game will make things fair for my players, rather than just springing random disadvantages on them if they roll low.

I also think you're overestimating how much the combat system would need to be rebalanced. This would result in more hits, that's for sure. If you make the disadvantages great enough, it should balance itself out.
>>
>>48635828
At 17th level I figure you're fighting creatures that are immune to one of if not two of those conditions.

>>48635813
a single attack. I could word that better though.
>>
Is the Death domain alright? I've only seen one in a one-shot so not sure how it works out.
>>
>>48635863
I don't mean fumbles, I mean how the GM describes what happens. And once you get to mechanical effects to failing/succeeding you fuck the entire game's balance. Again, you would have rebalance the entire game, monsters, classes, races even.
>>
>>48635864
>condition immunity
That's very true, it doesn't seem that crazy then.
>>
>>48635877
If you're just talking about changing the fluff of actions, then what you're talking about is irrelevant to what I want.

And you're still overestimating balance difficulties. Balance is the easiest thing in the world to achieve as a DM. If the players are doing too well, modify your encounters on the fly. If the players are struggling too much, do the same. It is never a struggle to rebalance the players versus the difficulties they encounter.

In fact, the only real balance issue with DnD is the class design, but I'm not going to tackle that problem. My players worked out a solution on their own.
>>
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/190188/Ultramodern5-5th-Edition?hot60=1&src=hgrs

What do you think?
>>
File: Angry.jpg (36KB, 310x310px) Image search: [Google]
Angry.jpg
36KB, 310x310px
>>48635937
>http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/190188/Ultramodern5-5th-Edition?hot60=1&src=hgrs
>9.99 dollars
fuck that shit nigga, that's way too much
It feels even worse that he cut down the price from 13 dollars
>>
>>48635937
Use a system that's not d&d if you want to play in a modern setting.

I'm personally a fan of Chronicles of Darkness, but there are plenty of other options. I like 5e, but please do not fall into the 3.PF trap of trying to adapt it's rules for fucking everything when using a system more suited for your setting in the first place would be better.
>>
>>48636141
As someone wise once said,
"I don't believe in generic systems."
>>
>>48635937
Could be good, could be bad. Don't fall into the trap of not adapting rules to suit your needs. 5e was deliberately made generic and rules lite to facilitate adaptations.

People like this moron >>48636141 are forgetting that it is very difficult to find a game outside of DnD these days.

Anyways, this sort of argument only comes up with some grognard doesn't like the homebrew in question, or doesn't actually know its content. If they like it, they'll conveniently forget that "DnD's rules shouldn't be adapted to the group's needs or wants".
>>
Does anyone have the DMsGuild products Race Compendium (1 and 2)? It's not in the mega, would greatly appreciate it.
>>
Tempted to play a Jojo parody sun soul monk or a long death monk help decide.
>>
>>48636192
>People like this moron >>48636141 are forgetting that it is very difficult to find a game outside of DnD these days.

With Roll20 and Hangout it is actually quite easy.
>>
>>48636254
Long death all the way if you're not going to actually use the hamonk.
>>
>>48636316
Having played both, they are not adequate replacements for in person games
>>
>>48636383
(not him) I get that, but even IRL it's not that hard to find a group that has an interest in RPGs in general is it? My current group is playing 5e but also trying out new systems like Dogs in the Vineyard, Mutants & Masterminds, Lamentations etc., on the side. I get that there is a large influx of casuals and 5e is very easy to find games for, but especially if you're willing to GM it should not be that hard.
>>
>>48636321
Ways to play without being a edgy parody?
>>
>>48636401
It's harder depending on your social circles, and physical location.

I live in a Southern State in the US, and the guys I game with are all late 20's early 30's married men who I personally introduced to D&D.

LCS / game stores are filled with MTG neckbeards, yugioh aspies, and generally people that the non-gaming world forgot.
>>
>>48634665
Sorcerers origins?

Celestial/Infernal/Abbysiall (cue Theiflings and Aasimar should have been sorcerer subclasses instead of races)

Elemental touched. Storm already covers wind. Need one for the other standard three.

Divine beast sorcerer (found a trial ground of an ancient beastial deity that bestows its bloodline after passing its trial) - gains abilities related to high CR monsters like turtle dragons, rocs etc.
>>
Everyone keeps saying 'bound accuracy' as a derivative to 5e, but what does that even mean?
>>
>>48636741
That there is a limited amount of modifiers you ever get in 5e. There's no more 20 different +1 modifiers to chase down. There is ability modifier, proficiency modifier, advantage, magical items, and that's about it.
>>
>>48636707
>Theiflings and Aasimar should have been sorcerer subclasses instead of races

Why would you want that? Not every single Tiefling/Aasimar is an arcane caster.

...heck if anything most Aasimars would be more divine casters.
>>
>>48636741
It means that since bonuses to hit, skills etc. don't scale to become crazy high, level 1 characters aren't much worse than level 20 characters and the other way around. E.g. attack roll bonuses:
Strength: -5
Proficiency: 2-6
D20: 1-20

This is seen as negative for people that can't bear not becoming much stronger with every level, can't bear fighting the same creatures several levels in a row without suddenly being way stronger than them when leveling up, and in general (the one good point of critique) means it's very luck-based. Primary stats matter quite a bit since you roll using them so much, but anything beyond that starts mattering little. A 1 INT child can remember a historical fact when a +5 INT Rogue with Expertise for +17 cannot, and expertise is seen as one of the things to "fix" this. It's also the reason a lot of "take 10" and similar features exist, like the rogue being able to take 20 on an ability check or skill roll, because giving a +10 bonus for example would still be very swingy.
>>
>>48635828
>>48635813
>>48635736
>>48635715
>>48635684
>>48635568

Made some changes across the board. Would love another look.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyGRUsiD
>>
>>48636813

>(the one good point of critique)

The others are pretty valid critique too depending on what sort of game you want. It's valid to go 'This guy fights the demon lords of hell, being reasonably injured by a town guard feels a bit silly'.

My biggest annoyance is they went to all this work to have bounded accuracy...then just made HP scale as heavily as before. So you end up with 'Low level monsters can always hurt you but don't really threaten you for junk because you've got enough meat to keep getting beaten on for several minutes straight'. It doesn't feel like it lines up well with the intention to never put a low level monster outside of reaching you if he's not able to meaningfully reach you.
>>
>>48636887
I totally get it, it's just not very strong and doesn't apply to the system overall so I wouldn't say it's very good critique. HP is generally not great I think, monsters also have way too much a lot of the time.
>>
>>48636887
> 'This guy fights the demon lords of hell, being reasonably injured by a town guard feels a bit silly'.
I forget. Which level do you gain immunity to spears?
>>
>>48636955
No idea, but illusionist wizards gain omnipotence at level 13 iirc. Whenever they can cast seventh level spells.
>>
>>48636887
The HP is what, I think, makes the difference between a threat and a non-entity.

At level 20, something with a lot of HP will remain a threat because it can take the hits and return fire. Something with little HP won't get to do much of anything if a single attack kills it. In that way, PCs are able to 'outlevel' enemies.
>>
>>48635776
Magic item uses are so varied though. Parties could splurge all their wealth on utility shit and still be hitting averagely for their level.
>>
Anyone else perturbed by the fact that bards are just Int casters? Like, that doesn't feel....bardly. At least not compared to every other medium that features bards (RPGs, books, etc. )
>>
>>48637042
RTFM senpai
>>
>>48637042
Expanding on this, I just feel like they should have gotten their own set of unique abilities or even spells, that function like Witch Bolt or Call Lightning in that you can maintain concentration and use an action or even bonus action to trigger effects continuously, like maintaining a song.
>>
>>48637053
You can just fluff concentration spells like that, concentration features in general are very rare for a good reason.
>>
>>48635796
No, they are not. If you hit you hit, if you don't you don't.
>>
>>48637042
Bards are Sorcerers, not Wizards. Cha casting, no prepared spells, etc.
>>
>>48637108
Which in itself is a problem, they are sorcerers with inspiration dice.

Each casting class has its own unique method of accessing magic, with druids and clerics being similar. Bards are just musically talented sorcerers.
>>
>>48637128
Can you explain what you mean a little further? Near as I can tell all classes access magic exactly the same- through spell slots. If you are talking about fluff shit then it explicitly states that bards get their magic through music, which is not how sorcerers get theirs.
>>
Time for the Sorcerer King/Archmage Warlock Patron to return once more!

So far I've decided that Fell Might grants a once per short rest grants an extra [spell level +1]D8 to a spell's damage upon casting, and that another ability grants a d4 boost to your DC for one spell. I think for the 'defensive' option it grants a boost to spell saves as well, but it needs a fourth ability, and a proper spell list
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/dungeons-dragons-teams-my-little-pony

Why doesn't this shit surprise me?
>>
>>48637178
Cleric
> Holy connection with their god/domain

Paladin
> Cleric lite

Druid
> Connection with nature / world

Ranger
> Druid lite

Sorcerer
> Innate spellcasting ability from their magical origin
> Spell points / metamagic, more spell slots

Warlock
> magic is bestowed by patron
> high casting spell slots, invocations, great unique spells

Wizard
> Study magic to gain spells
> biggest spell list / spellbooks, traditions, etc.

and then there's the bard
> Music to access spells
> No unique spells except vicious mockery
> Full spellcaster, but don't have any archetype abilities that actually influence how their spells are cast.

They might as well be a sorcerer archetype.
>>
>>48637316
Bards do have a second unique spell, Power Word Heal at 9th level.

And Bards have been around since 1E. They're a fixture of the game.
>>
>>48637316
>Paladin
>> Cleric lite
Read the class please.

>Druid
>> Connection with nature / world
Can also be a deity.

>Ranger
>> Druid lite
Ranger can be anything, and are not ever said to get their powers exactly like druids.

And as for bards, they steal spells but you also have to keep in mind they aren't defined by their spells. Wizards' main thing is their spellbook and casting, but Bard also gets a decent hit die, a lot of skills plus expertise plus jack, inspiration etc. I don't know what you want exactly, even if they're full casters that doesn't mean they have be entirely defined by the spellcasting.
>>
>>48637386
>a decent hit die
* with up to medium armor with one archetype and good weapons regardless.
>>
>>48637386
I'm still of the opinion that bards are the premier support class in 5E, superior to clerics, druids, and wizards in that regard.
>>
>>48636813
Just as an aside, that was a really bad comparison. The 1 Int child has a -5 modifier, so his maximum roll is 15. The rogue's minimum roll is 18. The rogue (even without his Reliable Talent to put his minimum at 27) cannot roll lower than that child on this check.
>>
>>48637316
Not having any features that muck with bard spells is a defining point for the . The other casters get ways to fiddle with their spells, bards instead get skill monkey abilities. Also, bards have more unique spells than just vicious mockery. Dissonant whispers and power word heal are both there, and there are probably more but those are just off the top of my head.
Also you might be retarded since just about everything you said about the other classes is wrong ( spot on for warlock though)
>>
>>48637557
Dissonant Whispers is on the GOOlock's spell-list, so it is as exclusive as the paladin's Destructive Wrath.
>>
>>48637582
Oh, I didn't realize that was the game we are playing. By that logic no class has unique spells because magical secrets exist.
>>
>>48637201
I-I should mention I'm looking for thoughts and suggestions and such.
>>
Trying to think of a way to do a Stand-user Monk, and am having a bit of trouble coming up with mechanics. Obviously they'd share the same health pool, and I think it would be easier for all of them to be humanoid stands for simplicity's sake. Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>48637534
Uhh, yeah I fucked up there. The BSF then, who has 8 INT. And most characters do not have expertise but are still thought to be really good at what they focus on.
>>
>>48637637
There's a whole system for that, it would be quite a task to make a simple archetype contain it. Hell, Avatar TLA has a series of hombrew to emulate bending and that's like 10 archetypes and some prestige classes, and that's a quite simple magic system.
>>
>>48637637
Path of Two Souls monk:
When you pick this path at third level, you can summon a ki construct as an action for 3 ki points.
The ki construct shares your statistics, including AC, HP, and Initiative. When you move, use an action, bonus action, or reaction, you can use it through the Ki construct instead.
The ki construct has a fly speed equal to your movement speed, but cannot move more than your speed away from you.

From there, fill out the other path shit
>>
>>48637616
Except for bard. PWH is still unique.
>>
>>48637616
I view a difference between abilities that poach indiscriminately (Tomelock, Magical Adept, Magical Secrets) and specially given spells like from domains or class features. That is why I classified it as similar to Destructive Wave, a class-exclusive spell that can be obtained by more limited archetypes (Tempest Cleric, in that case).

Also, in the last thread I did point out that due to Magical Secrets, Power Word Heal is the only unique spell as it is the only one that is bard-exclusive and can't be poached by features such as Magical Adept. You are both late to the party and incorrect in your evaluation because of that spell.
>>
>a campaign
>only one encounter every day or so in-game
>absolutely no use of short rests so far, except when a player shoehorned it in so they could do a spell and regain it again that did nothing anyway
>DM previously expressed a dislike of the longer rests system
Is it time to an hero and become a wizard instead?
>>
>>48637718
Yes, in rare circumstances the Big, Stupid Fighter can know more than the wizard about some Arcana check. There are a variety of reasons this could occur. He could have experience with a particular creature, he could have had the effect happen to him before, or he could have had a tryst with a magical being that left him with the ability to see through the Weave without any control over said ability.

On both sides of the screen, I encourage players to think up why they know the knowledge they do, even for proficient PCs. When we fought some succubi, my wizard with Expertise Arcana rolled a 30+ and the DM just handed me the Monster Manual to read as I wished, communicating what I could in 6-second fragments. It became a running gag that my wizard knew so much about the succubi not due to scholarly pursuits, but to more... carnal knowledge-seeking.
>>
>>48637848
I feel like you are missing the point. And how the hell am I supposed to know what went on in the last thread.

Guy said bards don't have unique spells so they should not exist, turns out bards are the only one with unique spells. Checkmate atheists etc.
>>
>>48637904
"I know all about these!"
"Studied a lot about them?"
"... you could say that."
>>
File: 1449595818486.jpg (13KB, 416x297px) Image search: [Google]
1449595818486.jpg
13KB, 416x297px
I'm a filthy /pfg/-goer that wants to learn how to 5e, where should I start?
>>
>>48637957
The PHB
>>
>>48637933
Frankly the argument that a caster class not having unique spells merits removing it is... well, crap. Bards are "unique" in that they are flexible. They don't get much for synergy between features and spells because they aren't attached to any particular one. Other casters get features to bolster their spells because they are closer to those. Bards treat spells like one-night-stands, never feeling the pressure to commit to any one but keeping the phone number just in case they decide to seek more.
>>
Does anyone have the /tg/ wizard sheet?

It's missing from the pastebin zip
>>
>>48637718
>>48637904
My preferred way to think of it is that checks out in combat and the field may be spot-checks. It might be luck if the child has ever even seen the creature, but a more mature individual is going to work out what the creature is if they take more than six seconds to think about it.

If someone goes to a library to research something, takes time crafting something or generally spends time and effort on something, it might be worth calling for an average of rolls, or 'only the best counts'. In such a case, a higher modifier is more likely to shine.

It does sound nice to explain when people know knowledge, though. The -1 int modifier wanna-be magician is the only one who seems to know about this creature? It's because it's one of the things they actually read about for their hobby, in some crappy children's book.
>>
>>48637950
It actually made for a rather fun encounter. As my super-geek starting rattling everything there was to know about them, telling his allies exactly how to break out of their enchantment and resist it, they got really freaked out and ended up fleeing the battle with only one fatality!
>>
>>48637899
I think its time to get a new DM.
>>
>>48637957
Read through the player's handbook. That has pretty much everything you'll need, even if you're a dungeon master. Of course, the dungeon master's book is there to help a DM.
No long list of feats, no ant hive of classes and skills and class feats to work your way through.

Go. Read it now. Stop looking at 4chan you fuck.
>>
>>48637983
I have always been partial to the barbarian chef. Every bit of knowledge that he knows about creatures is solely because it was in a cookbook! Makes it fun to come up with appropriate recipes for each new creature.
>>
>>48637999
I think it'd be best to just express concerns first, but I don't want to become that guy who constantly goes on about what the DM should and shouldn't do while people are having fun dicking about. After all, when most people have only a vague idea of how the system works, ignorance is bliss.
>>
>>48638011
You should go read Dungeon Meshi.
>>
Hi, /tg/, I've never played any form of D&D or, really, any sort of tabletop role playing game (unless Munchkins counts). I'd really like to try it out, but I don't know anyone IRL who plays it, so, do you guys know any ways to play it online? Is there a /tg/ group that plays it online?
>>
>>48637899
Talk to your DM about running a 1/7 day system for short and long rests.

A short rest takes up a day off. A long rest takes up a week off from adventuring.
>>
>>48638108
You could play it on roll20.net, takes a bit to get used to but it's fit all my needs for online D&D.
>>
>>48638108
A complete noob is unlikely to get accepted for a game at Roll 20, as there are a lot of applicants for many of them. Try to learn the most important rules from the Player's Handbook and maybe watch some Critical Role or other shows if you haven't already to understand a bit more how it all plays out.
>>
>>48638108
I use Tabletop Simulator, fun as shit.
>>
>>48637899
I'm DM'ing a game right now and I'm having a lot of issues figuring out how to best use the Rest system.

I know it says players can only take one Long Rest per 24 hour period but this has made me really lazy adventurers.

I'm not kidding.

I've tried everything. Raids on towns, villages, raids on themselves. But they refuse to do anything until "we've had a long rest".

In our last encounter they were ambushed by some mountain bandits and one of them has gained some levels of exhaustion so it's finally some sort of a challenging fight.
>>
Hey guys. Made a wizard for a game I played today. Went well, cantrips OP. I am now level 3 and have downtime, what're good spells to take. I'm looking at rolling abjuration wizard. Dat arcane ward.

So far I've decided that I want Rope trick for sure.
>>
Does anyone have that new version of the Witch's Brew compendium that was posted a while ago?
>>
>>48638425

Shouldn't you already have your arcane tradition?

Some nice 2nd level spells include Mirror Image, Scorching Ray/Shatter for damage, Flaming Sphere for a bonus action, Invsibility, Misty Step, Hold Person...

there's probably more too, that's mostly off the top of my head.
>>
>>48638425
Necromancy is the one that needs downtime, otherwise I'm not so sure what uses it has for spells/wizards. As for spells, almost all rituals are good, most abjuration spells like Shield, Alarm, Blur etc. are nice. The rest should just be good spells, look up some guides for other people's opinions and ratings, but it's fairly easy to determine what spells will be good if you're familiar with the game.
>>
>>48638108
I've used Skype and Discord, both go fairly well.
>>
>>48638423
If they don't have any classes at all that have anything on a short rest, I can sort of understand.

They're being bad at resource management.

I really hope you never said to them "Okay, you can long rest and then go stop the raid".

If they do that, you should be absolutely prepared to completely skip that fight. There are obvious world consequences to ignoring these things and rewards missed, but that was the choice they'd made. Saftey over reward.

It's especially important if there are people the players care about at stake. If there isn't, you should probably make some characters the players care about.
>>
>>48638471
I went from level 1 to 3 in the same cavern. Not sure if the DM is trying to speed us through early levels or new or 5th edition is just that quick. But yeah, spells to pick. Misty step is cool, really attracted to that lack of spell components, we're using components.
>>
>>48638423
>>48638508
>There are obvious world consequences to ignoring these things and rewards missed, but that was the choice they'd made
Yeah. If they don't deal with problems until they've had a long rest, then those problems are going to get out of hand.

Ultimately, it doesn't sound like the problem is with how you're handling the system.
>>
>>48638509

You should have a component pouch anyways. Also, Levels 1-3 are pretty fast but you don't usually go through 2 levels at once. There's really no problem with it though, levels 1 and 2 are like tutorial levels.

As for the tradition, imo Illusion, Divination, and Evocation are all really cool. Divination probably has one of the best support abilities in the game and Illusion is one of those things that really rewards creativity and a good DM.
>>
>>48638509
>we're using components.
As in, you need the exact components? Without component pouches/arcane foci? Because that is pretty retarded, not gonna lie.
>>
>>48635355
Open up the DMG and any adventure module about mid-way through, then do the calculations for a 4 member party of the expected level. You'll find that the monsters are skewed to have a higher CR than the difficulty suggested by the DMG.
>>
Would buffing crits have any bad effects? Basically, instead of getting double weapon dice, you can choose between that or something the power of an attack, most easily done as a shove, grapple, disarm etc. but improvised stuff could also be allowed. Would it be too good to allow this without any additional rolls so you just auto succeed? Champion fighters, paralysis and similar effects, and Assassin (they would choose damage 99% of the time though) seem like what would be affected but that doesn't seem like a bad thing. It's mostly to add a bit of flavor and utility to crits instead of just more damage.
>>
>>48638423
It wouldn't solve their problem but you could just throw really strong encounters at them. Or you could come up with non-combat encounters that require little to no expenditure of character resources.
>>
>>48638425
There are so many good spells to take with the wizard that it's less what's good it's more what do you want to do. If you want to just blow everything up then take Scorching Ray Flaming Sphere and make sure you have magic Missle, if you want to be a lot of utility have Detect Magic, Alert, Find Familiar I think would be good too.

What do you want to do as the wizard?
>>
>>48638783
I feel like utility and noncombat applications are more my jam. We currently have a pally, a barbarian and a monk, so we're up shit creek with mostly martials.
>>
>>48638656
Yeah that seems pretty fine at first glance. You are doing less damage than two attacks. Go for it.
>>
>>48638813

Might look into spells like Invsibility, Hold Person (your Paladin's going to love you for that one if you get it off), and I'd still suggest Misty Step for mobility.

If you find yourself needing more defense Mirror Image is a solid choice.
>>
>>48638813
Hold person will be your bread and butter deal with all those martials. Attacks within 5 feet of a paralyzed enemy count as critcals. Your barbarian could do 2d12 damage if they have a maul or greataxe.

Make sure you have the detect magic identify combo for all things magic.

Enlarge/Reduce if you want to be nice to a specific martial. Other than that grab Magic missle and Mage armor for safety and reliable damage and you should be fine.
>>
Barbarian archetype: Path of the Dervish

Wild Grip
Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, your grip strength allows you to use weapons in a way that would be unwieldly otherwise. You can treat any weapon that doesn't have the heavy property as light. Additionally, you can use any weapon with the two-handed property with only one hand.

Ride the Wind
At 6th level, whenever you make a melee weapon attack while raging, you gain a fly speed of 10 feet until end of turn, and any creature you attack cannot make opportunity attacks against you until the start of your next turn.

Desert Gale
When you reach 10th level, you learn to use the power of the wind in a number of different ways. As an action, you can cast warding wind. You can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

Blood Sirocco
Starting at 14th level, you become a whirling dancer of death. Whenever you reduce a creature to 0 hit points or score a critical hit, you can make another attack against a creature you can reach.

Theme is a desert / plains oriented barbarian. Anything broken about it? Is it undertooled or overtooled compared to the other archetypes? Any change suggestions?
>>
>>48639007
>Ride the Wind
Seems a bit too good compared to Eagle TW. 6th level is usually a ribbon for barbs so if you push it up a bit it might be fine. Is the last one from somewhere? Pretty sure I've seen it before.
>>
>>48639095
Uh, Cleave?
>>
>>48639007
>dual wield versatile weapons as 2h modes
>2d10 from Warhammers and/or Longswords
>>
>>48639157
That variant combat action? Don't think so, maybe I'm just mixing it up with Hunter and Horde Breaker.
>>
>>48639007
So the level 3 wording is confusing, there are no two handed weapons that don't have the heavy property except the Greatclub which is a d8. I assume you want the thing that goes with th Dual Wielded feat, but just so you know you don't have the two weapon fighting style, so hitting with both weapons would be 2d8+3 not 2d8+6.

Second the fly speed is weird with the mobile feat no opportunity attacks. So you can attack, and the just fly up ten feet out of reach of melee enemies? Make sure to say you lose it at the end of your turn and fall, or its just silly.

Third, actually level 10 is balanced maybe even a little underpowered, but you don't need to change it they don't all need to be amazing.

14th level is fine cause it's only another d8+5 to the next enemy. Honestly though this doesn't really have the feel of a barbarian in my opinion. Some suggestions include: clean up the text of level 3, have while raging you cons add your str modifier to your off hand attacks.
Level 6 remove the flying or make it end at the end of your turn. The rest is fine.
>>
>>48635804
fixed shadow magic reserves.

How is the path system confusing? Its pretty similar to the mystic.

How would you balance that last ability? removing the 3x crit? Its already necrotic damage, one of if not THE worst damage type..
>>
>>48639211
Cleave, the feat from 3.5. Drop an enemy, get a free attack on an adjacent enemy.
>>
>>48639214
3rd level, the intent of this feature is to go hand in hand with taking Dual Wielder or a 2 weapon approach, but I don't want to pigeonhole the archetype into that if the PC still wants to stick to a 2 handed weapon to maximize damage over flavor. However you guys would suggest to achieve that would be great.

6th is modeled after the Storm Sorcerer's ability to get a mobility boost after each spell cast. The idea is that they dance around through the battlefield. Also, flying straight up would incur damage after falling, no?
>>
>>48639297
Never played 3.5 so that's not it, it might have been a homebrew taken from the same source though.
>>
>>48636955

Which edition? As a lot of 4e defenders could completely no-sell a town guard's spear.

A lot of the really, really nasty monsters also had immunity to anyone below a certain level as it was literally impossible for a foe that minor to make them give a shit.
>>
>>48639322
>Posts directly talk about 5e
>in a 5e thread
>>
File: Udyr_Render.png (284KB, 564x748px) Image search: [Google]
Udyr_Render.png
284KB, 564x748px
Would you let a Druid refluff shapeshifting as different martial art stances or would you say fuck off and play a monk instead?
>>
>>48639214
Technically versatile weapons benefit the most from the ruling.
>>
>>48639393
fuck yes that sound pretty neat. much better than playing a monk imo.
>>
>>48639428
it's the two-handed property, it doesn't apply to versatile weapons.
>>
>>48639393

Probably tell them to just play a monk, but I guess I can see it working.
>>
>>48639305
10 feet is a measly d6 damage, a raging barbarian, who has the most health, would take half damage. I would take max 3 damage to not get hit by an enemy if I had 20+ health.

My suggestion really is two weapon fighting isn't seen much in barbarians in my opinion, so a path meant for that would be a nice change. If you want it to go hand in hand with the dual wielded feat, give the fighting style bonus while raging. This may seem small for a level 3 ability, but remember you do rage damage with each successful melee attack. Hitting twice while raging with this change would be 2d8+10 damage. 3 and 3 for str, and 2 and 2 for rage damage.

This is a lot of damage so make them reliant on raging and staying raging, if they stop raging that damage is almost halved. Later on the damage is going to fall off anyways, so being powerful now isn't that big of an issue.
>>
>>48639393
Just make a new Order of Monks with moon Druid features.
>>
>>48639367

>talking about changes that occurred in 5e

So what? The correct answer is to say 'There isn't a level you gain immunity to spears' when the conversation was it being silly that people who fight demon lords are able to be injured by a town guard?

It's like the Lone Wolf Books. By the time you've hit the Grand Master books they don't even bother making you go to the combat system for anyone who isn't either highly skilled or monsterous and that's some of the most 'You are vulnerable to death' sword and sorcery about.
>>
>>48636254
Could you play a Chainlock with an invisible familiar as a stand?
>>
>>48639496
have you considered reaching your arms above your head?
You might just catch what you're missing
>>
What's the best way to make a hand-to-hand brute? I don't mean martial arts like a Monk, I mean full on Brawler beating the shit out of people.

Barbarian seems like the obvious choice, but Fighter might be good too.
>>
>>48639565
either of those plus tavern brawler

or the pugilist homebrew
>>
>>48634665
I was gonna wait for the next thread to post these, but as long as the topic is Sorcerous Origins I'll put up this one.

I'm looking for general feedback of what's too strong, what's not strong enough, what could be combined with X to be ridiculous. Specific trouble spots are included at the bottom.
>>
>>48639563

And what am I missing? This started with someone saying he doesn't consider some complaints with 5e valid and I argued with how people might not like them (One of them being that bounded values don't suit many sorts of fantasy)
>>
>>48639492
Stealing this and running with it.
>>
>>48639606
awww I thought this was going to be tied to Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn mistborns.
>>
>>48639606
only had time to glance at the rogue one, but i like it, kinda neat.

i would definitely recommend using the variant version of persistent fear, since I feel like it might break some encounters, especially with the last class feature.
>>
>>48635937
I checked out the preview just to get a look at "ladders" and it's fucking shit. Ladders are just boring feat chains.
>>
>>48639666
Don't forget to source "Some Faggot from /tg/"
>>
File: 1456637209591.jpg (70KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1456637209591.jpg
70KB, 720x720px
requesting pdf of Tome of Beasts for 5th Edition by kobold press

http://koboldpress.com/kpstore/product/tome-of-beasts-for-5th-edition/
>>
File: image.jpg (82KB, 491x458px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 491x458px
>>48637809
>>48637201
Any thoughts on these so far?

Any suggestions?
>>
>>48639690
Nope. Never played it, made this before I'd even heard of it.
>>
>>48637201
The extra d8 plus spell level to damage is good, the +2 to the save is no good. With the right team combo, a DC 18-20 Hold person is fucking strong, like encounter ends that turn strong. If you want to do that you need it on a long rest AT LEAST
>>
>>48639956
Okay.
How about the magical shielding?
What's a good dice size for that?

I plan on Fell Might to be the 14, and I want the general feeling of the patron to be more on the "boosts to magical Oomph" in general as far as abilities go, while still feeling properly on par with the other patrons.
Plus I need names for the abilities, as the only sorcerer-king related ability name I know of is Fell Might, and I am no good at generic Mage ability names.

The other homebrew I wanna do is a sort of Generalist wizard. Not particularly good at any one school of magic, but more at magic in general.
>>
File: tumblr_nm6bkvxoMU1s7x60do1_1280.jpg (205KB, 900x1273px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nm6bkvxoMU1s7x60do1_1280.jpg
205KB, 900x1273px
Yo question /5eg/, playing in a game tomorrow and was highly interested in playing a beast master falconer. The big problem being beast master as is is totally garbage. I remember seeing every now and then quick fixes to make the class playable, but I can't remember them at all. Would appreciate some help!
>>
>>48640043
You should probably talk to your DM first before looking for homebrew adjustments to a class.
>>
>>48640015
With magical shielding, the reference I have is the Paladin Aura of Protection that boosts nearbye allies saves. If you want something to defend from spells, per short rest grant resistance to damage from spells to you or an ally within 30 feet with reaction. You have half of your charisma modifier in uses, regains on short rest. No idea with names though sorry m8
>>
>>48640043
What >>48640067 this guy said.

With that in mind, the changes I use is giving the animal its own initiative, and making it act like an animal when not directly ordered around.
>>
>>48640043
>>48640067
After talking with your DM read the find familiar spell, you can have a falcon.
>>
>>48640097
Well I was more thinking a once-per-short-rest "slap a die on your save versus magic" because the other patrons all give resistance of one form or another, or outright immunity to gas based-damage in the form of the Undying and Seeker's "yo nig you ain't gotta breathe"
But I'm not sure a singular resistance would make much sense, nor would a straight buff to saves like the PLD's.
>>
>>48640043
Consensus ranger.
>>
>>48640141
Reminds me of a bardic inspiration for saves, d4 for it to be a good use, d6 if you want it to be powerful. I would go either the d4 cause it seems the rest of your stuff is pretty powerful.
>>
>>48637022
At least in my experience, even the utility items have some use in combat. they're often the most deadly.
>>
File: tumblr_o5vl047NUb1sazby5o1_500.jpg (60KB, 479x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o5vl047NUb1sazby5o1_500.jpg
60KB, 479x750px
>>48640067
>>48640124
Already did, the DM is new since our perma-DM has to focus on his job for a few months. Everyone(DM included) is in agreement the class is too weak as is, it just comes down to what adjustments are the most balanced. I've seen
1. 4 x ranger level for hit points(or base HP, whichever is higher)
2. Prof to ac/hit/damage
3. Command is a bonus action, companion keeps attacking until target is down, auto switches to nearest foe unless commanded
4. Hunters mark applies to your companion as well.

All of that combined with the companion getting it's own turn, would that be a balanced adjustment?

>>48640133
Suggesting to just use the same rules?

>>48640158
Will look into it friend, thanks.
>>
>>48640198
No I agree the BM needs work but if your goal is a falcon you can get the find familiar spell to have your falcon, it's almost all utility, but it works. Also takes some work to get it if you want to be a ranger still.*
>>
>>48640176
Conceptually the Patron is "you are borrowing power from a magical person who outright is beyond a level attainable by a player character"
It's partially based on the Sorcerer Kings of Athas (the setting of dark sun), but I want it to be usable in any setting, hence the split name between the Sorcerer King/Archmage
As for the general power level, I do want it comparable to the other patrons of course.
But I also want it to be able to hold it's own to "you can give your entire party a short rest in five minutes" or "target enemy is banished for a turn, and takes 10d10 damage on reentry"
>>
>>48640246
Hmm, so basically just play a fighter with the ritual caster feat and get a falcon familiar?

That'd work I suppose. Was hoping my animal companion would fight beside me as well but you can't win them all. Why the hell is the ranger class so redundant?
>>
>>48640133
Falcon, or any bird you can't ride, is complete garbage for a beastmaster. Don't do it to yourself
>>
>>48640304
Yup that is a possibility, or go ranger but pick the hunter archetype and scout with your familiar.

It's cause there is so much stuff like it and things that can mimic it.
>>
>>48640043

Roll a pact of the chain warlock instead
>>
>>48640193
So either they flood the room with a decanter of endless water or use an alchemy jug to have an infinite supply of mayo. Neither option is something you can anticipate on a wealth=expected to hit chart.
>>
Revised version

>Unarmoured defence should really be dexterity and charisma. As much as I love the idea of not forcing dexterity, it's kind of way more suitable for a jesting paladin who might not be focused on strength and heavy armour.

I'm leaving it open so there can be fat balding clowns who take pies to the face as well as jester style clowns. I feel if I plug Dex instead of Con, it will just be more Jesters and not enough Clowns, if that makes sense.

>It's not specific whether harming a creature after the channel divinity performance will cause it to become immune to radiated afteremotions.

Considered and changed.

>Using Charm person on gigantic groups of people without them remembering and contradictions

THANK you for catching those, changed.

>Hammerspace would be more amusing if you could also store things on other people.

Done.
>>
>>48640371
No, but the general assumption that wealthier parties will punch above their level is sound. CR is already an abstraction (that fails). Adding in another abstraction that would make it more precise is good, not bad.
>>
>>48640371
I've had entire storylines cut hilariously short before they even started because I forgot I gave my players a pouch of "Dusty of Dryness" a few sessions prior.

Instead of forcing them to pay a debt, a well aimed Nat 20 with a marble of water, and some misdirection, and they killed that whole thing off.
>>
>>48640400
Oops, fixed the pages
>>
>>48640278
If you want it on par with 10d10 psychic with no save on long rest, how about you get something like this. Once per short rest, you may take 2 levels of exhaustion, and maximize damage of a spell.
>>
>realize I am the weakest member of the party by a large margin
>no longer enjoy combat in campaign as a result

What do /tg/? I don't want to seem like I'm bitching to the DM
>>
>>48640278
>"you can give your entire party a short rest in five minutes"
?
>>
>>48640461
What are you playing
>>
>>48640461
What's the party?
>>
>>48640461
Don't fight, ask DM to have less fights, reroll character, etc
>>
>>48640461
Just play recklessly and die. Save face while rolling a new character.
>>
>>48640471

He's talking about the Seeker Pact in the recent UA.
>>
Anyone know of any good resources/guides for building dungeons? There's a ton of resources for building fun and interesting encounters and adventures, but I haven't seen much on how to make actual dungeons interesting.
>>
>>48640494
Huh. That level 6 and that level 14 are cool as fuck. The pact boon could be cool, depending on how the DM plays 100% lie chance.

Probably a bit overpowered, but in a good way, that will help your other players do awesome things.

For once, a well designed warlock UA.

The wizard though is hilarious. It's like a giant fuck you to clerics. Because now a wizard is better in every way than a cleric.
>>
>>48640432
An Evocation Wizard can blast out maximized damage at level 14 and carry it all the way to ninth level spells. This also doesn't exhaust them at all and only does damage past the first use per long rest.
Warlocks don't get damaging spells past fifth level at all, on the other hand, and they would not be able to access overchanneling at the point they could get fell might.
If Fell Might was changed to 1d6, it would be comparable to doing a tenth level fireball at maximum damage, due to getting 8d6+2d6 from upcast to 5th, +5d6 more damage from fell might.

In comparison however, Overchanneling always maximizes damage, so an Overchanneled, ninth level fireball would do more damage on average than a Fell Might fifth level fireball, while still being capable of Overchanneling again.
It's powerful, but not excessively so.
>>
>>48640616
http://roleplayingtips.com/readissue.php?number=156

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/campaign-backbone

http://dungeonsmaster.com/2012/03/tips-for-making-encounters-more-interesting/

http://www.metafilter.com/152905/Building-cool-dungeons-in-DandD

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Dungeon-in-D%26D

http://slyflourish.com/making_awesome_dungeons.html

http://www.critical-hits.com/blog/2011/03/30/the-architect-dm-on-dungeons/
>>
>>48640432
>use it once before a long rest
>disadvantage on all checks, speed halved
>use it twice before a long rest
>your max hp is halved, disadvantage on saves and attacks
>use it three times before a long rest
>you fucking die, and your speed becomes 0 as if it wasn't enough instantly dying

fun/10
>>
>>48640695

Evocation Wizards can only maximize up to level 5 spells.

and if you were going to overchannel a level 9 i don't know why you wouldn't just overchannel meteor swarm for 245 damage.
>>
>>48640616
Puzzles, riddles. Just having them crawl through a dungeon killing things over and over will just make the party want to play Diablo instead. As for how to lay one out, just give them options for how to get through it. Branching paths, the quick way vs the safe way, etc. There should always be a goal or item that brings them to the dungeon.
>>
>>48640749
>>48640695
A theurgist wizard can maximize up to level 9 spells, because fuck you why release a new, interesting class archetype when you can just steal from your party Cleric?
>>
>>48640749
My mistake.
However, maximizing damage is not worth taking two levels of exhaustion per use.
First of all, that's just silly. Even berserker barbarian shouldn't give exhaustion levels.
Secondly, Fell Might should be a trump card style ability. Instead of being able to use it over and over again it should be a once and done until you get a spell refresh. Either size rest for this works, mind, but the idea still stands.

Furthermore, even if you could cast it over and over again, Warlock only has four damaging spells at maximum per rest. This is remedied by making the Fell Might ability work explicitly only for warlock spells.

Also >>48640843 that.
>>
>>48640717
Woah these are great!! Thank you so much
>>
>>48640695
Well alright, I don't know I'm tugging at what I can get for you. Wizards can only over channel level 5 and under though. Double the damage dice then that's the same thing for your damaging spells being maximized. Call it True Power and have you and your Sorcerer king gain a connection, where you become the focus for a spell that he would cast.

Maybe something else would be you get a list of spells you cast at 9th level due to your sorcerer casting it.
>>
>>48640843

sure, i guess maximizing lightning bolt is probably your best option here. If you do that you wind up with 14d6 damage, which is only 84 damage. Save for half.

I mean, a GWM fighter can do that every turn at literally no cost, I guess. Doesn't really seem that overpowered to me. If you just cast Meteor Swarm you'd probably get around the same damage on average (40d6*3.5 is 140).
>>
>>48640980

Actually just realized it's probably better to just upcast Chromatic Orb. That deals 88 damage (Still less than Meteor Swarm on average). If you crit though, that's not bad. That's actually pretty kickass.
>>
>>48640958
Correct, I did remedy the Overchanneling thing though.
I also don't want the Fell Might to just maximize damage, as it would be pretty much be stepping on the Evoker's toes but with less spell slots.

As for the choice in 9th level casting, it again feels like a "why wouldn't you just go wizard if you wanna cast high level spells"
I've been mulling on this patron for months now because I don't want it coming across as "slap another class onto warlock and call it a day" while retaining the flavor of borrowing power from another arcane source.
Heck, I even went out of my way to look for decent spells that are commonly on wizard and sorcerer spell lists to tack onto the Warlock's enhanced list and all I really have are Shield, Magic Missile, and Fireball.
>>
What would a wizard arcane tradition in the same vein as the Champion archetype for Fighters look like?

> Crit on Spell attack rolls 19-20
> Recharge feature (regain spell slot on a 1d6 roll)
> Gain additional cantrips
>>
any tips or ideas for interesting encounters?
>>
>>48641192
http://dungeonsmaster.com/2012/03/tips-for-making-encounters-more-interesting/
>http://dungeonsmaster.com/2012/03/tips-for-making-encounters-more-interesting/
>>
>>48641126
Well for the non Dark Sun knowledgeable what is a Sorcerer-King, my google search loosely defines them as really powerful and rulers of City-States but the why's and how's elude me.
>>
>>48641192
Yeah, don't sweat the large stuff. Just describe a bunch of innocuous details, and your players will figure stuff out you can't.

Like you might describe a tree as rotting, and a player will later try to tackle it into NPCs. Fill your scenes with small details.

For large things, come up with a list of changes of circumstances for every environment. If combat is starting to get boring, randomly use one of these circumstance changers.

Think things like: a spark from your blades ignites the dry grass, which quickly spreads and traps you and your enemies together.

The guards you are battling are about to route, but a second patrol hears the clanging of your blades, and the sound of their boots breaks into a run. You can't see them yet, but you know they will round the corner any second now.

A distant rumbling is heard after you are tackled into the slope, and you see a pile of loose rock and dirt growing bigger at an alarming rate on the mountain side above you.
>>
>>48641231
Essentially the sorcerer kings are spellcasters (in a setting where simply casting magic made the world the blasted desert wasteland it is) powerful enough to become god-like dragon beings, or at least work for it.
They're strong enough to level their entire cities with a spell if they so choose.

I also added the non-setting specific name to just make it possible to use "hey I made a pact with GOD-WIZARD so I can use his super cool magical powers."
>>
>>48639850
Second this.
>>
I wanna be a cool monk, and really like the concept of four elements, but good lord the other Ki-casters make it look like shit.
How does one Avatar it up?
>>
>>48641388
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1pdYIcfHauwNDM2My1XeWFYSDA/view
>>
>>48634665
Honestly I'd just like it to catch up to the Cleric and Wizard since they have the most options, but the Druid and Bard need the same too.
>>48634745
There is also the the King's Blood origin.
>>
>>48641292
Well I guess you should try and use the few differences the sorcerer-Kings have differently compared to other patrons. One they actually use spells that you use, two they are real and exist, and three they are names to be afraid of.

Give a ribbon that lets them add your d8 to arcana and history checks once per short rests. Give them another warlock spell slot, and I really don't know where to go from there. Warlocks don't really have the awesome power spells other classes do. And the only really common thing the sorcerer-Kings have is they are really powerful. If there was something that makes a difference between a powerful wizard who controls a city and a sorcerer king I would use that cause really there isn't anything I would be happy with brewing myself.
>>
>>48641452
So far the two abilities I have for the patron is a flat extra mass of damage die that is [spell level +1]d[something, probably 6] for the level 14 ability, called Fell Might which is something the SKs and their agents have in Dark Sun.
>>
>>48638229
I-is there a /tg/ group that'll accept me and teach me their ways?
>>
File: image.jpg (78KB, 564x903px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78KB, 564x903px
>>48641402
Thanks anon, this is really coolio!
>>
File: 1462211480442.jpg (29KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1462211480442.jpg
29KB, 500x500px
>>48639850
>>48641330
Thirded
>>
File: Dragonborn 2.0.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Dragonborn 2.0.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Well, unless anyone can tell me something amiss, this bit of homebrew is done.
>>
>>48641537
>that pic
> diamonds

So, working on the animal styles Monk archetype. Suggestions? I don't know whether to approach it like Way of the Open Hand, with a few techniques, or more of the WoT4E / battlemaster maneuvers style.

Definitely going to be pulling inspiration from typical animal style martial arts moves, the original pic that inspired the question (Udyr), and maybe even Changeling stats from UA: Eberron.
>>
>>
>>48641609
Totem Warrior comes to mind, as does Battlemaster. As far as inspiration goes.
>>
>>48641648
>>
>>48641648
Dude, this is already free on DMG
>>
>>48641609
Do something like slap Moon Druid into Monk and make it fit.
>uses Ki points instead of spell slots to heal
>You gain the physical stats of the animal
>you remain medium
>you retain mental stats
>>
>>48641609
>Your ki becomes fuel for your Animalistis Traits to show.

On bonus action take on one of the Aspects of a Beast for one minute. When you take on a form, your unarmed strikes gain +2 damage, and you gain a feature.

Bear- Gain 2 x Monk level in temporary health. This temporary health is lost when you lose your aspect.

Wolf- Allies within 5ft of you have advantage on melee attacks against enemies.

Eagle- Opportunity attacks are made at disadvantage and you gain +10 speed to your movement.

Snake- Your unarmed attacks deal d6 poison damage.
>>
>>48641816
Oh and switching aspects make you lose the buff.
>>
>>48640477
>>48640485

Monk, party is two wizards, a druid a cleric and a fighter
>>
>>48641609
>>48641816

If you wanted it to be more like Udyr, the swaps should be more frequent and less costly. Maybe have some animal (and I think it might be worth expanding our definition of "animal" to things like displacer beasts and dragons too, that could be interesting) cost Ki for more powerful bonuses but have smaller 'animal' forms be free and more situational?

I think I like the idea either way though, I can totally understand sticking to larger transformations.
>>
>>48641901
What subclass are you, and what are they?
Eventually monks fall behind the damage curve a bit, but gain sweet utility like stuns, mobility, and unusual defense moves.
>>
>>48641901

What path are you?

Monks fall off pretty hard in damage but you're still useful if you can land stunning strikes. You just have to sort of accept that you're mostly there to set up your other party members for big hits.

If your Way of the Shadow you at least get neat group utility helping everybody be super sneaky.
>>
Next session my players are going to encounter a druid. What would be some recommended minions for him besides animals? Fey?
>>
>>48641913
Well I'm not the OP but I was just throwing that out there, he could just come up with a ton more uses for a ki, like resistance to damage on bonus action for a turn, maybe blindsight? Just wanted to see what exactly he was going for.
>>
>>48641971
He works with a Dryad and an ambassador for a tribe of centaur.
>>
>>48641935
>>48641927

Sun Soul, but stunning blow is useless as everything we run into is either paralyzed, prone, blind or turned as the wizards or clerics first action
>>
>>48642021

i can see why that might be a bit of a bummer since they get some serious heavy hitting paralysis spells (and sun soul doesn't get a lot of utility) but you ARE still the best stun bot, getting to force targets to make several saves against it a turn.
>>
>>48642021
Everything? Perhaps
>The DM is setting encounters up that are too easy for casters to get perfect spells on
>The DM isn't giving enough encounters per day so casters just blow through all their slots
Surely there's *something* for you to try and control. The DM isn't just letting everything appear in range of a Hypnotic Pattern and then failing every save, right?
>>
>>48635692
This already exists. Most GMs I've played with, when you fail a roll, will do something like "it's not that you can't do it, it'll just take too long and X will happen."

Apocalypse world didn't invent failing forward and marginal success.
>>
>>48641971
That doesn't tell me much
>>
>>48641913
>>48641843
>>48641816
>>48641709
>>48641666

Well let me ask you this, where is the monk weak and what roles could he fill / ways could he be buffed that wouldn't take away (too much) from other martial classes?

I think that would help flesh out exactly what the actual purpose of this archetype would be, as opposed to just "Animal Kung Fu"
>>
>>48635793
My party just got to the Vampire. Me (rogue) and our fighter got charmed and proceeded to whip the shit out of the sorceress and cleric. I KO'd the sorceress and the cleric was surviving by the grace of the dice, think less than 10hp just not getting hit for 2 rounds.

Likely would have been a TPK, except after I failed my 10th consecutive save on the charm, my char was wondering why his oldest friend (vampire) would want to kill his new friends, why not just sit down for a drink? Our DM said if I rolled a 20 the vampire was shocked by this and would pause his assault. It succeeded.

After a short, terrified chat, I gave him some sunglasses I'd had made to get him to fuck off. Then we healed up and ended the session, getting totally shithammered to deal with the stress.
>>
>>48641570
>>48641330
>>48639850
Here's the First page of the contents. I have sub 1mbps rural internet, so I can only really post images, but vote for your top 10 most wanted monsters from page 1 of the contents, and I'll post the top 5.
>>
>>48642386
>watermark clearly visible
Might want to crop that out, hombre.
>>
>>48642315
Animal Kung fu is just stances that are used as points into other movements.
You can tiger stance all you want but it doesn't make you faster.
Monk doesn't have a proper battlefield control set of options, and their only real crowd control is their massive number of attacks.
However the Monk archetypes are based pretty heavily on anime.
Open Palm is Kenshiro
Sun Soul is Goku
Four elements is avatar
Shadow is ninjas.
Instead of finding a niche to fill, find something that makes the archetype interesting.
>>
>>48642315
They exchange raw power for improved mobility and agility, though not quite to the same extent as the rogue. Their damage dice are smaller but they generally make more attacks thanks to Flurry of Blows. They have d8 hit dice and their Constitution will typically be lower than a fighter or barbarian, but they have other features that improve their durability (Purity of Body, Diamond Soul, Unarmored Defense, Evasion).
>>
File: Index pg 1.png (245KB, 693x841px) Image search: [Google]
Index pg 1.png
245KB, 693x841px
>>48642396
>>48642364
3rd time's the charm?
>>
>>48642478
Mind showing off some Arch-Devils? Especially if they have named ones like Bel and Asmodeus. I doubt it, but you never know.
>>
>>48642315
The Monk's damage seems to fall off a bit in the late game as other classes get either more Extra Attack options or added dice for damage via Smite or Hunter's Mark.

And for being a melee class they really can't take a big hit, as they are kinda MAD. Rogues get to dodge/lower their damage via Uncanny Dodge and being able to escape via Disengaging as a bonus, while the Monk has to blow a ki point to do that. Melee Rangers get a d10 HD so they can just take more hits even with a lower AC while they try and do as much damage as they can.

The Monk has to blow ki points to Disengage as a bonus, and they want to use their ki for flurry of blows and stunning strikes and what-not. They really are gimped in terms of their ki usage at higher levels.

I would like to see something like this for the various "Animal Spirit Kung Fu" archetype:

> Bear's Endurance: Gain temporary HP equal to your Monk level x 5 while in this stance. When you use your Flurry of Blows attack, add your STR modifier to your damage rolls along with your DEX modifier.

> Viper Strike: Whenever you hit someone with your Flurry of Blows in this stance, the target must make a Con. save (DC of 8 + Prof. + Wis mod) or take an extra 1d10 poison damage, half damage on a success. This increases to 2d10 at level 8, 3d10 at level 14.

> Eagle's Flight: While in this stance, your AC increases by 1. In addition, when you spend Ki to move via Step of the Wind, you may make a melee attack vs. every enemy you pass by. This does not take away from your normal Attack option.
>>
>>48642491
This
>>
Okay I worked on making dragon breath weapon spells like I said. r8 h8 appreci8.

This is the first draft too so I'm sure there will be problems.
>>
Anyone have the list of character options for 5e? Can't see it in the mega.
>>
>>48642599
It's right here in THIS fucking thread, christ. >>48641448
>>
>>48642491
There's 4. Here's part 1 of the first.
>>
File: Arbeyach pg 1.jpg (295KB, 695x897px) Image search: [Google]
Arbeyach pg 1.jpg
295KB, 695x897px
>>48642491
>>48642550
There's 4. Here's number 1 part 1.
>>
>>48639480
>>48639305
>>48639214
>>48639170
>>48639095

Made some changes to the wording, and purpose of some of the abilities. Removed Ride the Wind, replaced it with something that might be too good, but overall keeps it inline with damage of other builds.

Thoughts?

Path of the Dervish
Dervish are dangerously fierce and lightning fast warriors who hail from the deserts of the Western Wastelands or the harsh rocky plains of the Silver Steppes. They move across the battlefield cutting down their enemies like a searing wind.

Death Grip
Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, you treat weapons that don't have the heavy property as light weapons.
Additionally, while raging you add your ability modifier to bonus attacks you make when using two weapon fighting.

Cutting Wind
At 6th level, whenever you make an opportunity attack, you can make one single additional attack. Also, when you use a bonus action to make a melee weapon attack, if you are wielding a finesse weapon you can make a single additional attack.

Desert Gale
When you reach 10th level, you learn to use the power of the wind in a number of different ways. As an action, you can cast warding wind. You can't use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Blood Sirocco
Starting at 14th level, you become a whirling dancer of death. Whenever you reduce a creature to 0 hit points or score a critical hit, you can make another attack against a creature you can reach.
>>
>>48642625
>Here's part 1 of the first.
nope
>>
>>48642610
Thank you senpai.
>>
File: Arbeyach pg 2.jpg (259KB, 834x1087px) Image search: [Google]
Arbeyach pg 2.jpg
259KB, 834x1087px
>>48642646
And part 2 with some nice art.
>>
>>48642584
i think the ranges should be increased probably. 7th level 30 foot cone kind of sucks
>>
File: Spawn of Arbeyach.png (679KB, 833x1057px) Image search: [Google]
Spawn of Arbeyach.png
679KB, 833x1057px
>>48642672
And stats for his spawn as a bonus.
>>
File: Ia affluent.png (833KB, 832x1060px) Image search: [Google]
Ia affluent.png
833KB, 832x1060px
>>48642757
Part 1 of the next dude
>>
File: Archdevil combo platter.png (409KB, 830x1078px) Image search: [Google]
Archdevil combo platter.png
409KB, 830x1078px
>>48642787
End of the previous one and start of the next

P.S. How many parties would first look up the market price of their friend before casting greater restoration after they got weight into golded?
>>
File: Mammon's lair.png (571KB, 818x1060px) Image search: [Google]
Mammon's lair.png
571KB, 818x1060px
>>48642827
Mammon really seems to be the Big Dick OG of the Arch Devils, since he's the only one to get a lair.
>>
>>48642584
I will definitely give this a lookover for ya senpai. In a game right now actually, so it'll probably be later tonight.
>>
>>48642827

I mean, the weight in gold is probably worth more than the reincarnation spell to bring him back after you melt him down
>>
>>48642651
The wording on Death Grip is super awkward. Just use the same wording as the features you're copying.

Cutting Wind has a ton of problems. Most importantly, it's too powerful. Two attacks as a bonus action with no cost at 6th level is four d8 attacks per round.

The 10th-level feature shouldn't be combat-based, according to the class design principles.

Blood Sirocco is too weak. It's the weaker part of a single feat as a tier 3 class feature.
>>
>>48642827

I'm not sure if I like the design of a boss that spams DC 24 save or sucks every turn until it dies.

The real problem with these high saving throw DCs is that it's impossible for certain characters to make them, especially with how constrained ASIs and feats are. A wizard with less than 18 Con who didn't get Resilience can NEVER not be turned into gold over 3 turns.

Then it takes a high level spell slot to get rid of. I guess you have to have an absurd amount of magical items to fight these guys or something. Which all turn into useless junk if you don't get to him in time.
>>
>>48642888
Here's the resident Nerd-Devil. Surprising number of utility spells IMO.
>>
File: NEEEEEEERD.jpg (328KB, 835x1057px) Image search: [Google]
NEEEEEEERD.jpg
328KB, 835x1057px
>>48642888
>>48642888
Here's the resident Nerd-Devil. Surprising number of utility spells IMO.

P.S. FUCK RURAL INTERNET
P.P.S. PIZZA IS NOT A PIE OUTSIDE ITALY CAPTCHA
>>
>>48642919
Working on the wording for 3rd level ability.

Changing Cutting Wind (6th level ability) to the cleave from Blood Sirocco. Working on a new capstone.

Warding Wind isn't a gamebreaking spell, and it's a 2nd level spell that has MOSTLY out of combat utility.
>>
File: Devilishly good pizza rolls.jpg (445KB, 834x1060px) Image search: [Google]
Devilishly good pizza rolls.jpg
445KB, 834x1060px
>>48643095
And here we have the rest of Totino's Actions.
>>
>>48642986
It would be a pain, but these *are* things intended to be fought by characters that have hit 20th level and gone beyond it with magic items and boons. Demogorgon, a CR 26 in OotA, has a DC 23 ability that lets him stun, control, or confuse creatures, which can be used as a legendary action.
>>
>>48643157
can you post the dune mimic? thanks
>>
>>48637316
At least Bards have even one unique spell. Sorcerers are literally "no good wizard spells" mixed with "a few shitty druid spells"
>>
File: Index pg 2.png (254KB, 833x1064px) Image search: [Google]
Index pg 2.png
254KB, 833x1064px
>>48643157
And here's the second page of the index.
>>
File: Frank Herbert's The Thing.jpg (370KB, 832x1078px) Image search: [Google]
Frank Herbert's The Thing.jpg
370KB, 832x1078px
>>48643179
Sure.

I feel worse for the camels somehow. They didn't sign up for this.
>>
>>48642909
>In a game right now actually
PUT DOWN YOUR PHONE
>>
>>48643126
Warding Wind:
>It deafens you and other creatures in its area.
>It extinguishes unprotected flames in its area that are torch-sized or smaller.
>The area is difficult terrain for creatures other than you.
>The attack rolls of ranged weapon attacks have disadvantage if they pass in or out of the wind.
>It hedges out vapor, gas, and fog that can be dispersed by strong wind.
That's mostly combat-related. "Extinguishes flames" is basically a ribbon on this spell, it's not the reason you'd use it.
>>
>>48643254
thanks, can you post the spiders page
>>
>>48643273
It's a text-only roll20 game bruh. I ain't no slacker.
>>
>>48643166

Yeah. It's weird to think about because it's not in 5e's usually power level but I think with magic items it might not be so frustrating.
>>
File: He's Right next to you.png (722KB, 829x1059px) Image search: [Google]
He's Right next to you.png
722KB, 829x1059px
>>48643308
First we have a spider that's smarter than your Barbarian, and more elusive than your Wizard.
>>
>>48643470
Then we have the MASTER OF SPIDERS PULLING YOUR STRINGS!
>>
File: 1461528936821.jpg (208KB, 750x790px) Image search: [Google]
1461528936821.jpg
208KB, 750x790px
>>48643365
oh... well... carry on then
>>
File: Tuesday in Ausland.png (658KB, 832x1056px) Image search: [Google]
Tuesday in Ausland.png
658KB, 832x1056px
>>48643510
Then something that's probably real in Australia or Brazil.
>>
File: Newandimprovedcapcha.jpg (73KB, 427x490px) Image search: [Google]
Newandimprovedcapcha.jpg
73KB, 427x490px
>>48643470

Are there any good beasts under CR3?

Something that flies and is higher than CR 1 would be awesome.
>>
>>48643617
>>48643617
>>48643617
A little early but I didn't want to wind up with a monster girl or other /pfg/ OP. Please forgive me.
>>
File: Top of the mandible to ya.jpg (380KB, 832x1061px) Image search: [Google]
Top of the mandible to ya.jpg
380KB, 832x1061px
>>48643557
Here we have an Irish immigrant spider.
>>
>>48643557
spiders acting as a replacement for cats is a really cool idea, stealing it
>>
>>48643562
Sure, gimme a sec. Also namefagging for a bit.
>>
>>48643668

should have said CR 6 actually. Mostly interested for Druidic purposes.
>>
>>48643562
for what purpose?
griffons are technically monstrosities, but they're cr 2. pegasus is a celestial but cr 2. peryton is a monstrosity but cr 2.
giant eagle is cr 1
giant vulture is cr 1
thats your mm options.
>>
>>48643710
oh sorry i didn't realize you were quoting the guy posting stuff from that other book. my bad.
>>
>>48643731

don't worry about it. I'm also wondering if there are any cool druid forms in the book; higher cr flying forms is one of those things i really want to see.
>>
>>48642584
Given almost all the spells don't have an innate status or other effect rider on them and that they only use the base DMG recommended damage, I'd want to see them buffed a little bit in either their damage or else cause some other effect as bases on most of the spells.
Most of the sorcerery point options you've got there I would only require one sorcerery point to activate as well - their effects don't warrant two whole points except *maybe* the gold dragon's. And even that's a "maybe", given you only get your omni-advantage for a single round.

Those would be my general suggestions concerning what I think you want out of those breath spells.
>>
Any tips on running Curse of Strahd? I'm probably going to start off with Death House. I kinda like it as a hook: the house appears in a little city, the adventurers are sent by the guards, and when they finally get out of the house they're in the middle of Barovia Village.

What do you think?
>>
>>48644991
Sounds like a neat way to start things, especially if you catch them off-guard like that.

Not a standard "lore-friendly" way of getting into Barovia but fuck it, sounds cool.
>>
>>48644991
For the love of God, please start your party at level 2-3.
>>
>>48645076
I was planning 2nd level yes. One of them is going to be new to pen & paper so I don't want her to be overwhelmed by all the stuff she (and the others) can do.

>>48645012
I mean the lore-friendly way can literally be:
> you are in the middle of misty forest
> boy there sure is a lot of mist
> when you wake up you are in Barovia

So I dunno if that's really an issue here
>>
>>48642052
Fighter and Monk would have a good chance to shine if the DM introduced a group of anti-casters.
Although that would most likely end up being "drop the silencer so the mages can mop up."
>>
>>48645185

the fighter is already better at combat than the monk by a long shot, especially if they're GWM.
Thread posts: 359
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.