[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Drider Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 362
Thread images: 27

File: 1460788713336.jpg (147KB, 1497x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1460788713336.jpg
147KB, 1497x1000px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Old Thread
>>48613830

>July 2016 Unearthed Arcana
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/quick-characters

>August 2016 Unearthed Arcana
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/faithful/

So driders are Lolth's outcasts, right? Doesn't that make them as valid as any other outcast drow? How would you stat up lesser driders as PCs? Would you waifu/husbando one~? :3
>>
>let me make up a reason to post anime
Whatever
>>
>>48623916
Duly noted. I kinda hate this approach, only because we've been starting to feel the effects of how combat kinda stagnates after awhile, and have been leaning towards more interaction based problems.

>>48623917
Will DEFINITELY keep that in mind. I like that scenario.

What are your thoughts on this situation: The ranger in the party kinda came to a realization a few months ago that the ranger is kinda....less tooled / powerful than other classes, and so I've been giving him a lot of freebies to make up for it (increased CR on companion, arrows, bow, etc. He has the bulk of those items listed).

He's also a shit that likes to go off on his own more than any other player because he likes to feel like a badass.

I've been doing this thing where a gang of Kenku have been stalking the group because of a hit on the groups head from a former adversary (them being followed, feeling like they're watched, all the way up to someone leaving a bounty under their pillows and black feathers in their bags).

Next time the ranger goes off on his own, I plan on having him outnumbered and being embarrassed by the kenku as part of their mind games (binding, tarring, feathering, and leaving him naked in the woods).

Is that a bit much?
>>
>>48624261
>How would you stat up lesser driders as PCs?

Size: Medium-Large

Superior Darkvision
Sunlight Sensitivity

Speed: 30 feet
Climbing Speed: 30 feet

+1 DEX
+2 WIS

You know the spell Web at 5th level, and you can cast it 1/day
>>
How do you construct good side quests? As in, how do you make a side quest the feels right and fits the rest of the world without just feeling like a “go here for loot and exp”.
I’ve been letting my players do some side quest before they continue on the main quest, but I feel like they feel a bit “game-y”. Is there any tips you guys for that, or is it just “stop being a bad DM”?
>>
>>48624299
What you guys done to receive the /pfg/ treatment?
>>
I swear who is letting this guy make threads ?
>>
So crossbow expert and hand crossbows.

I want to go swashbuckler and it seemed to work out well, would I never have to reload my hand Crossbow right? That seems a little to good to be true, but RAW looks good. Id have to keep track of my bolts of course but with not reloading id be happy.
>>
>>48624334
Totally something Ismark would say.
>>
>>48624559
You'd have to reload it, you just don't face a penalty for it.
>>
>>48624614
I would still need a free hand to reload too right? Kinda making the idea of two weapon fighting with one weaker.
>>
Asking again since the only responses I got in the last thread before it died were "don't do it" and "taking a piss".

I need some help guys. Today I'm taking over a Curse of Strahd campaign a friend of mine started. This will be our first meeting with me as DM.

I've caught myself up on everything and I'm super well prepared for everything except 1 thing: the party isn't very far in yet and they are just now leaving Barovia with Irena and Ismark entail, but have not had an encounter with Strahd yet. I want them to run into him somewhere on the road between Barovia and before they get to the Vistani camp, but I just can't think of a way to do it that really does Strahd justice.

Anyone have any ideas for a cool Strahd encounter I can setup for them to run into tonight?
>>
>>48624261
>So driders are Lolth's outcasts, right? Doesn't that make them as valid as any other outcast drow?

I actually prefer 4e's take on Driders, where they're Lolth's chosen favorites instead of "Society that basically worships spiders, shuns people made into very powerful half-spiders."
>>
>party has That Guy
>huge faggot always openly threatening the group after his gold hoarding resulted to a brief moment when it came to blows
>be the bard
>be level 6
>Magical Secrets time
>pick Find Steed: Warg
>nobody gets why
>long rest time
>"Hey Fido: Stand Watch"
>first finally fucking peaceful Long Rest in weeks

Can't wait until I get the magnificent mansion and he's never invited
>>
>>48624321

it'll hopefully get him to stop going off solo
>>
>>48624701
It takes, like, a couple of hours to walk between Barovia and Tzer Pool... If you want them to meet him have him invite them to the castle with his carriage, the initial scene at Castle Ravenloft is great and will probably be a TPK.

If you want to play Strahd realistically, he doesn't know you have Ireena until she is at the Vistani camp. He also could give two shits about the party until much later.
>>
Hey guys, i'm playing a game of 5th edition tomorrow. I'm one of three party members and i'm looking for advice of what to make. We've got a barbarian, and a paladin. So fairly heavy martial core. I'm feeling rogue or wizard perhaps.

We're level 1, so I feel like screw playing a wizard in that, although I don't know how they play in 5E (only played Pathfinder and shadowrun).
>>
>>48624261
There actually was a race of shapeshifting spider-people for whom the "drider style" hybrid form was perfectly valid - the aranea. So, I personally cooked up a 5e version and then made a variant for driders, just because I thought it was easy enough to do -

Here, it's literally the first race in this mess of mine: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#
>>
>>48624863
Bard.
You can heal if necessary.
You've got magic shit like the Wizard.
You can boost your martials' effectiveness with your Bard Song.
Better healing during rests.
Not being crap in a fight yourself.
>>
>>48624863
if you just want a magic and/or a ranged character, bard or cleric are good options
lore obviously for bard, and one of the level 8 cantrip clerics, they're usually more ranged focused
>>
>>48624321

one on hand, it's a pretty good idea, on the other, it's rail-roading, and he'll be even more sullen because now the DM is bullying him.

Punish him for it, but reward him as well, even if disproportionately. He receives a clue or something.
>>
>>48624885
Not a bad idea. Go with this one.
>>
Is there a decent werewolf build out there?

A friend of mine has a "Dr Jekyl / Mr Hyde" type of character that justifies his multiclassing, but he hasn't quite figured out his switch mechanism just yet, so I thought I'd bum that off the lycans for him

Help, please? He's actually a really cool player
>>
>>48624902
>>48624902
Bard seems like a fun idea, means I can be the party face as well. I have played 5E once before and it was a bard. I think it was mostly that we were thrown into a scenario where charisma can't be used. We did one of the pre written adventures, something about being prisoners in the underdark.
>>
>>48624965
Barbarian
>>
>>48624965
The best class for being a werewolf is Paladin.
>>
>>48624968

Bard will probably be fine but your Paladin will make a decent face anyways (or should at any rate).

I personally think Bards are worse in fights than Wizards/Sorcerers either way, but they'll still work great. I'd second Bard/Cleric. Wizard from level 1 should be fine too, if you're dedicated. Having cantrips makes things a lot easier.
>>
>>48624475
Step one, stop thinking about it in terms of "side quest" and "main quest."
There are no quests, there are places and people, and problems affecting those people and those places. You don't want to design quests, you want to design a world. a world filled with interesting people, interesting places and interesting problems. Some of those problems are going to be bigger than others, but there is no main quests and side quests, there's just different things going on.
You aren't programming a computer game, you don't; need to prepare quest chains. You can create a setting filled with problems and opportunities.
>>
>>48624321
Why are magic items a problem if you are moving away from combat anyway?
>>
>>48624754
Yeah, a god punishing people by transforming them into her sacred animal does feel a little odd.
>>
How would you do level 0 in 5e? Or is 1st level weak enough?
>>
>>48625269

Level 1 is definitely weak enough

but you can lvl 0 by using no class skills, just stats and simple weapons

Maybe a quick power tease by having a tutorial like guide lend them some magical items
>>
Piggybacking off of this >>48625269

I'm introducing 2 players to tabletop RPG / D&D for the first time in their lives, although they've played RPGs before. I'll also have 2 experienced players that are in my normal monthly group.

Was considering starting at Level 2, so that each character actually has some options in combat and what not, or should I stick with 1st level characters and a simple straightforward adventure.
>>
>>48625350
Just start at level 1 so your first timers have a limited set of options they need to consider, then bump them up to level 2 after a session
>>
>>48625350

you can have your experienced guys start at level 2 and your newbies at 1
>>
>>48624863
I'd go trickster or thief/wizard.
>>
>>48625350
If this is their first game level 1 should help them get a handle on mechanics before moving on. Also level 1 and 2 are done really quick. They should be getting about a level per long rest if you are doing it right for those
>>
File: 1468268369011.jpg (74KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1468268369011.jpg
74KB, 720x720px
> tfw you play AL with hot girl
> know her name from sign in sheet
> dat ass, literally second best I've EVER seen
> resisting urge to Fb stalk her am d fap
> her bf sold you new PHB for like 20 bucks so you feel even more guilty
> you will cave eventually BECAISE you are a perverted fuck

By the way is heavy armor master a good feat? Free Str buff and effectively DR 3 seems pretty gud to me.
>>
>>48625465

* cave because you are a perverted fuck

Stupid phone
>>
>>48625465

I think it's good early game if your stats are awesome so you can pick up better feats later but eventually DR 3 isn't that much even if attacks aren't considered magical.
>>
>>48625465
It depends on your DM. If there are a lot of larger groups of weaker enemies it's insane. If it's one or two big monsters it's nearly useless.
>>
>>48625465
Cave and fap to her FB picture? That's an easy one.

The one about the feat is harder. Idk, we had a war priest who like it once.
>>
>>48625432
It's intended to be a one-shot adventure. Roll characters, and do something with a toned down House Hunter.
>>
>>48624261
Kumoko new chapter when?
>>
>>48625220
That's.....a damn good question. Hmmm, I guess I just want to curb his soloing.
>>
>>48625465
It is a great feat early game, but starts to fall off past level 6 and pretty much becomes useless by level 14.

However, if you are playing in AL, you pretty Much never need to worry about it becoming useless. AL adventuring very rarely goes past level 15, and most likely any book adventure will end by level 14.
>>
hmm, how do we stop Find Steed to become useless at higher levels?
>>
>>48625919

Like I said, tarring and feathering that guy will definitely teach him a lesson about leaving the rest of the group.
>>
Tome of beasts yet? 7chan is working on it, apparently.
>>
>>48624664
Yes you need a free hand. Dual wielding crossbows doesn't work, and is pointless anyway.
>>
File: companion.jpg (149KB, 1055x1000px) Image search: [Google]
companion.jpg
149KB, 1055x1000px
How would you port Companion to the Lonely from Pathfinder to 5e as a feat?
>>
>>48626061
What does it do
>>
>getting wife into D&D
>she wants to play a Beast Master Ranger
She's pretty adamant about it. I've heard that this class is underwhelming, but is it really, really bad? I'd like to avoid any Internet homebrew alternatives, if possible.

One change I was thinking about making is just letting the pet get more HP when it levels up so she can have a pet that she keeps throughout the entire campaign.
>>
Whats so broken about the mystic, again? auto proficiency in saves and any skill.... and what else? psi point costs too cheap?
>>
File: 1470278981184.jpg (60KB, 655x752px) Image search: [Google]
1470278981184.jpg
60KB, 655x752px
>>48626077

>Companion to the Lonely (Ex): Whether religiously motivated, as are followers of Arshea, Calistria, or Shelyn, or for purely carnal reasons, physical intimacy helps the vigilante cope with the loneliness of his double life. Once per day, the vigilante can spend at least 1 hour engaged in acts of physical pleasure with a willing partner to gain a pool of morale points equal to his Charisma bonus or his partner’s Charisma bonus, whichever is higher. For the next 24 hours, the vigilante can spend a morale point as an immediate action to roll a Charisma-based skill check or a Will saving throw again after rolling the die but before learning the consequences; he must take the second result even if it is lower.
>>
>>48626088
if you change it so the beast can attack with a bonus action instead of a standard action, it dosent suck balls
>>
>>48626088
just use the consensus ranger
>>
>>48626088
The consensus ranger is 95 percent the original class, but with a few fixes mostly for the beastmaster. Try looking that up.
>>
>>48626103
use inspiration points roll 1d6 to related skill check or save, or something along those lines.
>>
>>48624664
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats

It's pretty confusing as the ability to fire as a bonus action seems pointless when you have to have a free hand to reload, making a hand crossbow essentially two handed. Maybe it's intended for an initial NOVA damage burst round 1?
>>
>>48626090
the mystic gets a shit ton of abilities. the class really needs to be toned down for it to be anywhere near balanced.
>>
File: P3-Tartarus.jpg (2MB, 1714x2331px) Image search: [Google]
P3-Tartarus.jpg
2MB, 1714x2331px
>>48626159

I kind of thought of it like Switching Personas in the later two games. I guess the idea seemed cool to me, although I do think it could be toned down a bit.

I still hope to see something similar to that when it comes out though. If it was done right it might be cool to switch abilities like that.
>>
>>48625465
They know when you look at their pictures anon.
>>
>>48626216

They do?
>>
>>48626202
reason im asking is because im making a homebrew that is mechanically inspired by the mystic, but didnt want the homebrew to be OP. hard to gauge balance this way.
>>
Is it a bonus action to switch between one-handed and two-handed for the purposes of using a versatile weapon? I ask for the sake of building my first Paladin, who can still cast spells with somatic components
>>
>>48626103
short answer: get out
long answer: the closest thing would the luck feat as it grants you 3 luck points to use and roll additional d20. Self only though and this is perhaps the most powerful feat in the game.
You can try this though: Increase Charisma by 1.Once per long rest spend 10 minutes comforting a creature. The creature get a d6 inspiration to use on any attack roll, ability check or save. It must be used in the next 8 hours.
>>
>>48626281
I think if your off-hand is free, it'd just be part of your attack action.
>>
>>48626281
read the rules
its literally no action, you can just do it. for MULTIPLE reasons you can just do it
>>
>>48626281
its free action. You can hold 2h weapon with one hand. But have to use both two attack.
Imagine putting your sword on your shoulder and casting a spell with your free hand.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/30/2-weapon-casting/
>>
>>48626437
If you can do that, what's the point of a versatile weapon?
>>
So our DM wants us to do in order rolls for ability scores (character creation), sounds unfun to me, what do you think?
>>
>>48626511
>what do you think?
I think rolling only worked for older editions where ability scores were largely unimportant until you got far from the mean.
>>
>>48626511
I did that once... it was terrible. I became a really charismatic barbarian that did 'eh' damaged. it made no sense.
>>
>>48626511
If you can appreciate being an underdog compared to your allies, you'll be fine.

If not... try to enjoy being fearless. Either you'll luck out and be effective or get killed by your enthusiasm.
>>
>>48626511
As long as you use organic method that should be fine, it's 4d6 drop down the line, with a reroll and a stat swap. I always use it for new players and I've never had any complaints in fact my new players love it

it lets you discover your character as you make them
>>
Anyone know of a decent homebrew that might replicate the summoner/white mage class of final fantasy X? The one with the eidolon doesn't really fit.
>>
>>48626474
versatility? Say that you are sword&broad fighter. Sometimes you just need that little bit extra damage. Drop your shield(free action) attack with both hands and pick it up again(interaction). Sometimes you will be stuck without your gear and all you have is your sword. Greatswords don't just pop up out of nowhere and you have to use what you have.
You can't predict anything and its nice to have an option.
It also make sense to do more damage if you grab your warhammer with both hands.
>>
File: Random_But_Fair_Attributes.png (228KB, 1684x1971px) Image search: [Google]
Random_But_Fair_Attributes.png
228KB, 1684x1971px
Is there a system like the Random But Fair stat roll for 5E? I found one version on Reddit (reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/3f155q/randombutfair_ability_score_generation), but it didn't seem weighted the same way.
>>
>>48626090
My group's powergamer asshole is playing a mystic, I'll let you know as more things come up.

So far the only thing he's used from the class is switching out his proficiencies on the fly, and we decided no, we liked having a point for the other characters to exist. We told him he could switch it out once per short rest, we'll see how that goes.
>>
Are attacks made by Animated Objects considered magical weapon damage?
>>
>>48626605
Roll 3d20, dropping any values below 6 or above 18.
You should now have 3 values that are between or equal to 6 and 18.

For each number, consult this chart, and write down the corresponding number.

You now have 6 numbers between or equal to 6 and 18. These are your stats. The average stat will always be 12. The total stats will always be 72.
>>
>>48626617
yeah. switching proficiencies seemed like an awful design choice. Not entirely sure why the decided to go that route, its very powerful.
>>
>>48626511
Tell your DM.
>>
>>48626621
No. Read nigga. If the attacks count as magical there will be line saying:
Magic Weapons. The X weapon attacks are magical.
>>
>>48626437
Okay but here's where I'm not clear, does this mean that effectively, if a DM goes by this interpretation, a character wielding a shield and a weapon will still be able to cast freely with somatic components if they hold their sword in their arm? Why are somatic components even a thing then, mechanically, if it's not to prevent this sort of thing?
>>
>>48626745
I did, he's undecided atm.
>>
>>48624475
Not to be an ass, but have you asked your players what in your world interests them?
>>
>>48626760

It's not the same because both your arms are occupied. You'd have to drop your sword or your shield in order to cast a spell with a somatic component if you're sword and boarding.

It's also the entire point of the warcaster feat.
>>
>>48626511
That only works if you roll ability scores first.
>>
>>48625105
That group is missing either a wizard or an infiltrator. Bard can be both.
>>
>>48626760
You need at least one hand free to cast. Having a shield in one hand means that both hands are now full. What they're talking about is holding one object in two hands, then just freeing up one hand to cast.

You only need one hand to keep a two-handed weapon from falling to the ground via propping it against your shoulder or just letting it hang down. It requires two hands to swing but not to hold.
>>
>>48626811
Not really, no. I just give them a lot of choices and let them do what they want. So I kinda know what they want, but I haven't explicitly asked them.
>>
>>48626818
>>48626876
Ah, I gotcha
>>
>>48624494
existed
>>
>>48626511
It's unfun, but it's also a good way to help people pick a class if they're unsure of what they want to play.

Doing it after you've already chosen a class is completely ridiculous.
>>
>>48626760
Sure. He can tuck his weapon under his armpit and cast a spell. Would look silly and probably provoke attack but why not. Or can drop it for free and pick it back up as his interaction. Or be smart and have a leather strap so he could drop his weapon but keep it hanging from his wrist.
Its a RP game. RP, imagine, inovate for fucks sake.
>>
>>48626863

So can a Cleric and a Wizard.
>>
>>48627036

with this UA, so can a Cleric Wizard
>>
File: 1470008750535.jpg (170KB, 751x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1470008750535.jpg
170KB, 751x1100px
>>48627036
>>
>>48627052

Gotta admit, you got a chuckle out of me anon.
>>
>>48626704
Reading minds, taking information from them, which I think is the flavor of that path, I guess skill proficiencies is a good way to reflect that.

I also suggested to the party that rather than just drawing proficiency from anybody in the country, he would have to spend some time observing a person using the skill before he's able to switch. Kinda like wildshape for druid or the battlemaster feature that let's them see fighter levels etc.

I let him keep one per short rest because I figured it could be a good emergency thing, or like if the party needs to stealth and he wasn't proficient in stealth it could help them not get fucked over. That was the impression I got of the purpose of that feature, anyway.
>>
>>48626930
Slow down there and take a breath anon. I'm just asking about the mechanics so I know how to work around them.
>>
>>48626863
>>48625105
Warlock can be, too.
Or a changeling wizard.

>mask of many faces + actor feat
>you can, in an instant, assume the form and voice of literally anyone how who isn't completely abnormal, e.g. has weird limbs or whatever
>>
>>48626760
Technically, you should have to use your object interaction to put the weapon away, and then cast the spell.

This means you won't get to use your weapon for opportunity attacks.

It's then object interaction to draw the weapon again.

The only real problems this gives a shield+weapon caster is that they cannot make opportunity attacks after casting a spell and that they can't do extra object interactions.

>>48626930
Unfortunately there are a few things that make sense but you just aren't allowed to do.

As far as I know, you're supposed to put the weapon away again. Otherwise, there's practically no reason to force players to have a hand free.

Another case is that in theory you could have a shield on your arm and still hold something in the shield arm-hand and then drop it when you want to start using the shield, but I don't think that's how it's intended, and it'd make the shield something that everybody who could use it have on all the time since the only penalty to having something in that shield arm hand then is that you don't get to use the shield until you drop something.
>>
>>48626601
Eh I guess. Dropping 2 AC for 1 average damage hardly seems worth it though. Makes me wish there were a versatile fighting style of some sort.
>>
>>48624903
How is it railroading? I've been sitting on this idea for awhile now, waiting for it to happen when it's appropriate.
>>
>>48626601
Doffing a shield is an action.
>>
>>48626511
>>48626915
I actually really enjoy having my character be a surprise.
But I'll agree, there's an order of operations you'll need to follow to make it work. I like choosing anything Nature related first, like race, and then ability scores; and then Nurture things afterward, like class and background.

Choosing class, then rolling straight is where most complaints that "the stats don't match my character concept" come from.
>>
>>48627381
Versatile Tactics: +1 to hit with a one handed weapon, +1 to AC when wielding a two handed weapon.

A bit odd in that existing styles don't normally have much overlap in what they effect, but it works.
>>
>>48627396

Dude, D&D is all about building a story, together. The players tell you the bit about their characters, you tell them the bit about the world they live in.

Encounters and dice rolling shit is just where those two culminate into a great experience.

So if the guy goes off emo mode fucking around, and you've decided its time for a cautionary tale, go for it, but it if it's just "kenkus attack, roll for dignity damage", it's just rail roading, it's you forcing him, a giant faggot as he may be, to play the game YOUR way.
It has to contribute to the story.

Have rocks falling, kenku attacking, whatever, but you know, have something like

"as you fall in and out of consciousness, you notice one of them is wearing a badge/ ruffling through some papers. You recognize some of the words, it has to do with the final boss / your home town / a treasure trove of lost white dragon gold.
However, it is written in a "language only your tank knows how to read", and thus as you frustratingly try to piece it together, kenkus attack.
Roll for dignity damage"
>>
>>48626511
The only way I would ever want to roll stats for 5e would be to randomly determine how to spend the point cost in the books.
>>
>>48627396
Basically, the problem anon's finding is probably that you're saying "No, you can't go into the forest alone" by forcing an event that'll make them really regret it.

It's not really a bad idea, just don't make it so that he's 100% going to get into a mess. Make sure at some point he learns the lesson that being out in the forest alone is a bad idea that he has nobody to help him, but make sure that there's not only one thing that could happen if he does go out.

If they knock him out with a poison blowdart, it'd better not instantly knock him out if he fails a save and instead give him a bit of time to maybe try and hide and hopefully avoid the problems.
Leave room for alternatives and don't shut down the idea of going out in the forest alone, just strongly discourage it by what happens.
>>
>>48627824
Another point about adding a poison to force a story point, is what happens when the players inevitably get their hands on it.
>>
Rant incoming:

There's a casual player in my game getting me really mad. Why do this people insist on playing D&D? They don't really get a good experience for themselves and always ruin the game for everyone with their constantly dropping in and out.
>>
>>48628225
I feel like there is a deeper story behind this, care to share it?
>>
What are some good, short urban adventures I could use to fill a single session?
>>
>>48626090
Don't care still playing one when it's complete gonna remake my battle mind.
>>
>>48628225
What's the context of him getting mad?
>>
File: reeeee.jpg (118KB, 618x564px) Image search: [Google]
reeeee.jpg
118KB, 618x564px
>>48628225
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>48628225

Man, talk about first world problems. I wish I had a group consistent enough to show up more or less the same people every two weeks
>>
>>48628462
I wish I had a group.

Fuck Arkansas
>>
Moarlock v2.
R8 h8 and appreci8.
>>
File: moon.png (8KB, 418x600px) Image search: [Google]
moon.png
8KB, 418x600px
>>48628527
i don't like how the level 1 and level 6 ability combo together desu. i would probably just have the 1st level ability not do damage. it should probably also be per short rest and not a # of times per long rest, thats not how other lock patrons are.
level 6 seems strong but whatever warlock needs it. level 14 feature is way stronger than a level 14 feature should be imo. like compare that to hurl through hell.
>>
What would you say to the idea of sorcerer only spells that have special effects if you spend sorcery points?
>>
>>48628667
That sounds like a bitchin idea
>>
>>48624261
Needs more silk and lace.
>>
>>48628282
I dunno. Nothing published atm
>>
>>48626143
I always saw it as working with a brace of the hand crossbows. Five hand crossbow loaded ahead of time should allow the user to to either use the Drow signature rapier+hand crossbow style (attack with rapier, draw and fire hand crossbow, drop it, repeat with other crossbows) or to use a shield if one has one attack.

Arguably, one could use two attacks with a shield if the Dual-Wielder feat was taken. Draw two different hand crossbows per turn. Doesn't really work as written because the feat seems to make the draw simultaneous, but it has a decent shot of sticking.
>>
>>48628636
I myself actually like that bit - I'd like to see more synergistic features like the storm sorcerer has. For this archetype in particular I think, since the level 6 feature relies on psychic damage which is itself somewhat rare.
I also like "modifier per day" things like bardic inspiration and many of the cleric domain things, especially *for* a warlock, since they peter out into eldritch blast spamming incredibly quickly both early and late-game which is rather unengaging.
Hurl Through Hell gets no save - you can remove BBEG from combat for an entire round with no save, and then when he gets back he auto-takes 10d10 psychic (again with no save). A 10-foot increased radius fireball that does 5.25 increased average damage with two possible riders, one of which doesn't effect combat much at all (one level of exhaustion) and the other which only lasts a single round *on a failed save* (though the stunned + blinded are great debuffs) I don't think is terribly pushing it for a 1-per-long-rest ability acquired right before the 8th-level spell marker.
I'm going to be play-testing the archetype in a game soon, so we'll see how everything pans out. Thanks for the feedback.
>>
Does anyone have a good beastmaster ranger rework on hand? Someone in my upcoming CoS game is thinking about playing one and I don't want them to suffer for it.
>>
>>48628476
It's not as bad if you're in LR.
>>
>>48628636

that last feature REALLY needs some kind of target selection, and it really needs to nix that exhaustion clause. Either way, stunning/exhausting/blinding your entire team doesn't seem like a great deal.
>>
>>48628667
Sounds like something that should've been in the PHB.
>>
>>48628527
>first thing I do to avoid wasting time is look at 10th level and check you know how the layout of warlock patrons works
All seems good, so let's go.
>expanded spell list
Haste is a pretty big deal, but then you're up against things like fiend granting fireball. I think overall it's fine if everything else isn't too crazy powerful.

The first is a bit unusual, since it brings into question, "How often do monsters look directly into your eyes during combat?"
The answer is.. Probably not very often at all.
I think it'd be nicer if the wording required the warlock to ask the DM "can I make or tempt this creature to look at me?" constantly. Though I presume it only has to be looking roughly your way to draw it in, which could be conisdered part of the save.
As much as I'd love to see more charisma saving throws, it does verge more on wisdom save for "knowing they're trying to pull you in, and not looking" or "resisting magic" but it does have more grounds for charisma saves than most I see if you consider the effect sort of like possession.
The sixth level spell is an odd one. I don't think the synergy with first level is bad, because it saves the warlock a spell slot because they'll always be opening with a psychic attack.
Still, if you use a psychic attack that deals half damage on save, the enemy has no way to stop you giving them disadvantage on almost all your saves and gaze-spamming a boss to death.
I think 6th level should probably be something else.
(Cont..)
>>
>>48628667
Yes please. I haven't gone over it with a fine-toothed comb but aren't sorcerers the only casting class without any unique spells? If so it's some major bullshit.
>>
>>48628903
It has target selection tho
>>
>>48628937

not from where i'm reading. I just think a feature that screws whatever is in 30 yards of you has a lot of potential to dick over your own party. Especially giving them exhaustion. That's probably not cool anyways.
>>
>>48628965
It literally says "When you use this ability, you can designate any number of creatures you can see to be unaffected by it."
>>
>>48628982

Oh. It's at the very last line for some reason instead of being where it actually talks about what creatures it's effecting. I still don't like that capstone.

I think the rest of it is alright though.
>>
>>48628527
>>48628914
(... Cont)
Tenth level is.. I'd call it fine. Fiend gets resistance to one type of choosing, wandering starman warlock gets fire AND cold (That's a big deal!) and no need to breath.

I think it should stay as it is, as it is situationally better than something like fire+cold+nobreath if you're up against the listed creatures which are already magic-heavy. Situationally worse because necrotic and radiant are less common, particularly radiant.

>level 14
The light effect shouldn't be a charisma saving throw. I'd let you off on the level 1 one, but not this one. Probably constitution again. Make both of them constitution saving throws, I guess. I'd love to see more int/cha saving throws, but it's just not easy to justify them by the rules.

Level 14 is overpowered, plain and simple.
VERY few things can see through magical darkness as per the darkness spell, if I can remember correctly. Obviously, blindsight, that sort of thing...

It's a much, much better version of darkness (Much larger effect area) that doesn't hinder your own or your teammate's vision (That's a massive plus) AND has very strong effects.

I like the design of it though.
Darkness has a less powerful effect (the first level of exhaustion will only give disadvantage against/to grapple for monsters mostly) but extremely powerful sight-blocking ability.
Light allows people to see and blinds creatures in the dark in such a case, but the effect is maybe a bit too powerful.
(Ack, third post)
>>
>>48628914
Thanks for the feedback senpai.

>The first is a bit unusual, since it brings into question, "How often do monsters look directly into your eyes during combat?"
I get where you might come from there, but the requirement is only that "they're withing 60 feet" and don't meet the negative-stipulations (not having eyes, actively averting its gaze, that is otherwise blind, or that normally cannot be charmed). Think of it like magically drawing their gaze to you - resisting which may, fluff-wise, be part of the save.

>Still, if you use a psychic attack that deals half damage on save, the enemy has no way to stop you giving them disadvantage on almost all your saves and gaze-spamming a boss to death
You don't have to worry about disadvantage on every save - because of this part of the wording: "the target has disadvantage on any Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma saving throw against the next spell you cast." <-- specifically the "next spell" bit.
>>
>>48629054
>It's at the very last line for some reason instead of being where it actually talks about what creatures it's effecting. I still don't like that capstone
Good point - I used the wording from other spells like spirit guardians that let you designate targets to be unaffected, but I didn't really think of the place of that wording in the spell descriptor. I'll change that up - thanks!
>>
>>48628527
>>48628914
>>48629064
(Alright, last one I swear.)

Imagine this.
You use an attack that deals psychic damage in an area of effect, halved on save. These exist, right?
Everyone now has disadvantage on your level 1 and level 14 (light only) features.
In darkness, your level 14 ability will almost completely shut down everything nearby for a turn, unless it can succeed the save despite the disadvantage. After that, you can be spamming gazes on them every turn to stop the big bad from actually doing anything. They have disadvantage on that too.

I think the individual abilities are maybe fine, but once you put it all together it becomes a clusterfuck of crowd control.

The level 14 ability fiend warlock gets is gauranteed to work, since it's on hit. It deals more damage, and it stops that target from being attacked or attacking for a whole turn.
Do note the fiend warlock has some pretty neat other bonuses though, I suppose.

But the level 14 one here is just monstrous once you have that level 6 thing in place.

>>48629084
Oh, right, 'next spell'. I missed that.
Yes, that's not actually so bad, then. I'm going to check if there's an area-effect physic ability, but I have a feeling if there is it's going to practically force that psychic ability + level 14 ability all the time.
>>
>>48626595
This, reroll and swaps are the only way to keep everyone balanced, especially if he's making you decide on class first.
>>
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyGRUsiD

I've posted this before, and made some changes, but I also added a new rogue archetype and would love some feedback.

Prowler
>Time thief
> Prince of Persia, Tracer (Overwatch), Bill & Ted
>>
>>48628921

>>48628921

And bards. No "Bard only" spell out there, though there are some obvious signatures, like most thunder damage>>48628921

And bards. No "Bard only" spell out there, though there are some obvious signatures, like most thunder damage

College of Maestro basically fixes this
>>
>>48629064
I can see what you mean with the not liking the charisma save on the light bit. I was thinking of it more like "soul-burning celestial radiance" as the fluff for what the light effect is actually doing, which I think might be grounds for a charisma save (you're resisting with the force of your spirit) but I can see changing it to a sheer con-save. Don't want to be too special-snow-flakey/overly complex here.

The thing with the capstone is that it only lasts for a round. I think it's still *very* good, but I'm going to need to playtest it to get the proper tuning I think.
I think the damage is fine - 5.25 average (assuming 50/50 saves) damage more than fireball, and only 10ft more radius, with the additional constraint of only being able to be cast as a sphere around the warlock (meaning you've got to be somewhat up close to utilize it effectively).
The exhaustion effect isn't crippling for most enemies at all (given it's just the 1st level), and will be far more common in most campaigns given most player groups don't romp around in darkness.
I see what you mean about the magical darkness bit though - you effectively blind most enemies for a round without needing concentration like the actual darkness spell in a pretty decent radius. That's a pretty good effect in and of itself.
>>
>>48629142

Holy shit, summer internet is the devil. Sorry
>>
>>48629129
>You use an attack that deals psychic damage in an area of effect, halved on save. These exist, right?
>Everyone now has disadvantage on your level 1 and level 14 (light only) features.
Oh no. That's not the function. Or at least not the intended function. I use the wording "the target", but I think I may need to use other wording to ensure people understand it's only one at a time? Because the intention is simply one target at a time. I do not think there actually is an aoe psychic damaging ability that still causes half damage on a failed save though. I think they're all save-for-negation spells.
>>
>>48629281
>>48629380
Well, that's just my opinion on the save.

The magical darkness is pretty crazy.
Your entire party will have advantage against all things that can't see thruogh magical darkness (Most things) and enemies will - if they're lucky enough to actually target a space with an enemy in - have disadvantage to hit.
They'll also be going all over the place nilly-willy.

The 6th level feature..

If you use 'phantasmal killer' while you have advantage, will they take disadvantage on every single saving throw, and then grant you advantage every single turn they fail?

I'm seeing the biggest two potential problems is the features having rather big synergies with each other (once you hit with the level 1 feature, you can use it again and again on a target with them having disadvantage if you keep hitting and keeping them stunlocked)
and the other problem maybe being that that level 6 ability then locks you into using only psychic spells.
Most likely the warlock will choose pact of the tome to get cutting words, too. They might as well, although honestly that makes an interesting alternative to eldritch blast, though a lot less damaging.

Definitely an interesting stun-warlock type thing, but you'll have to test it against solo targets, against a variety of targets and all that. There's some nasty stun-lock potential in there.

I couldn't find any AoE psychic ability, but I'd make sure to include it's only against one target.
>>
>>48629398
>If you use 'phantasmal killer' while you have advantage, will they take disadvantage on every single saving throw, and then grant you advantage every single turn they fail?
Yeah, since a few posts ago I've been thinking the language actually allows the disadvantage on saves to persist for the entirety of a spell that forces continuous saves (such as phantasmal killer) over the course of multiple rounds. My original intent was that it would function like the "heighten spell" sorcerer metamagic, in which case only the first save would be affected, but... maybe it would be alright for disadvantage against all mental saves for the whole duration of the spell.
I think I'm going to playtest the latter and see if that isn't too overly powerful - if it is (which it might be - that's potentially very powerful for locking down a single foe with something like phantasmal force) I'll just reword it such that it's clear it only affects the first save.

Thank you very much for the feedback - it's been helpful!
>>
Out of curiousity...
Can a bard learn 'Destructive Wave' through magical secrets by RAW?

Destructive wave is not on any class spelllist, but may be granted through other means (level 9 tempest cleric or fucking clericwizards).

It says you may choose "from any class". Again, I do not think destructive wave is technically a class spell.
>>
>>48629501
I would think so. "Two spells from any class" - well, the tempest cleric *IS* a class, and it *DOES* get that spell.
>>
>>48629469
I think if you let it go for disadvantage on all the saves, phantasmal killer could end up a bit too much of a runaway spell.

At 5th level, it'll deal 5d10 every failed save (which has disadvantage) AND grant your next spell disadvantage as well. It just feels like it might be a bit much.

I'm thinking the best thing to do with it is make it different. Maybe have it so once or twice a short rest you can inflict a target disadvantage on the next spell used against it. Allows allies to have some fun time with it and helps avoid endless chains of stuns.

I think that's all from me.
>>
>>48629501

Destructive Wave is on the Paladin's spell list. It's just a typo in the original manual (I think it says Destructive Smite instead).
>>
>>48629501
destructive wave seems to be in the paladin's list as a 5th level spell, according to grimoire
>>
What's your gaming group like?
>>
>>48629501

Destructive Wave is a 5th level Paladin spell.

Indeed, you can acquire it through magical secrets, but only once you're capable of casting 5th level spells

Same goes for all them smite spells, ranger spells, and even warlock spells.

There's a shockingly low amount of Paladin fishing in Bards.

Like I mentioned earlier, I picked Find Steed for the free Worgen, and it's kept That Guy out of my fucking stash like a beautiful charm
>>
>>48629587
>AND grant your next spell disadvantage as well
Oh no, it wouldn't do that. The feature is a 'once per short rest' feature.
"Whenever you deal psychic damage to a creature, you may tap into its thoughts and discover how best to exploit its will." <--- keyword "may" in conjunction with
"Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest."
>>
>>48629588
>>48629589
>>48629619
Oh, right, fuck me.
>>
>>48629589
>>48629619
see
>>48629588

you fuckwits
>>
>>48629618
fun bunch, 5 players + DM. not everyone can make to every session which sucks, but lots of RP, fun homebrew campaign with tons of NPC/faction intrigue and shit to do other than just follow a linear questline.

also playing a fighter 1/warlock blade pact character, and i've been having a ton of fun RPing as an edgy dark knight :^)
>>
>>48629587
>Maybe have it so once or twice a short rest you can inflict a target disadvantage on the next spell used against it
Oh, so perhaps instead of making it so the warlock gets insight themselves into the mind of the target, you could instead just say you tear more deeply into the target's mind with your psychic intrusion, leaving them more mentally vulnerable period?
I could see that.
>>
>>48629651
nigga fuck you, my post was literally a second after his
>>
UA College of Swords and College of Satire - has anyone tried these out in a game, and if so, how did they do?
>>
>>48629635
Ah. I need to read a bit more thoroughly, I have a tendency to overlook things. Took me a while of reading the 14th level ability to find where it said the spell ends when I was making the original post.

Then, I think it's not really too overpowered. 6th seems balanced enough, 1st seems maybe a bit good. 14th 's magical darkness is ridiculously good in most situations, I think. The AoE light stun otherwise is powerful, and the bright light would cause problems for certain dark-dwelling things.

Just keep an eye on the 1st and 14th level abilities, especially the 14th. Definitely the 14th. But it's not as crazy as I read it at first.
>>
>>48629702
Playtests ho!
Thank you good sir - been very helpful.
>>
>>48629142
Power Word Heal and Vicious Mockery are both Bard-only. I don't remember if there are any others. Rather odd to have the only exclusive spells be at the minimum and maximum level...
>>
>>48629619
Ranger fishing is good for archer bards, though. Swift Quiver especially allows for quite the quantity of arrows...
>>
>>48628848
consensus ranger is (arguably) the best, but it is more player/dm reliant since you most likely have to help/approve his leveled up pokemon, or at the very least, make sure the new option he trades in his used car for, is street legal
the only problem i have with it, is the "mandatory" change from defense, to mariner. if for some reason you run a game that allows homebrew, but doesn't allow UA
>>
>>48629758

IMO, Power Word Heal should act like the Transmuter's Panacea power. In addition to healing all HP, it should also remove all curses, diseases, and poisons.
>>
>>48629758

Vicious Mockery is also Warlock of the Old One, I seem to recall

Power Word heal is an odd one. Kinda tempted to grab it just because of the exclusivity
>>
>>48629870
Nope, GOOLocks get Tasha's Hideous Laughter. Actually, Vicious Mockery only shows up in the bard's spell-list, his quick-generator, and the actual spell description.

>>48629866
PWH is a favorite spell of mine to toss on BBEG lieutenants, especially sneaky ones. After the party sees the dragon they've been whittling down as strong as ever while they are nova'd out, it makes them re-consider their battle-plan. Then you get the cat-and-mouse as they try to take out the bard first on their next assault!
>>
>>48629938

Huh

I guess you're right. I must have caught it off my magic adept feat.

A Cantrip and a level 9. That's just bizarre
>>
>>48629938
Kill the healer first!

And that becomes a real pain the ass to do when the healer is invisible and not doing anything until they break out that complete heal.
>>
>>48624261
Latest rewrite and modification to Goliath Homebrew. Mostly just a grammar check and some more nice gwaphics. Hope this looks better than last time.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B002m2_KROanLVEyXzY5VnFmUms
>>
>>48630077
Exactly. It only works once (unless the party is stupid), and that is the way it should be. This is the kind of challenge that should be a puzzle, because just healing the BBEG from zero does nothing except let him recover from novas. Definitely not something I would recommend doing often (though other minions with different skills are just fine; this particular contingency plan just isn't very fun for the party if it ever happens more than once).
>>
>>48630149
Well, the way I see it is that the party now has to deal with a fully healed dragon AND his level 17+ bard support, and are probably down at least half their resources.

TPK incoming.
>>
>>48630186
A perfect time to bail out. Also why my wizards try to keep a 5th-level or above spell slot to pop out a Wall of Force.
>>
so one of my players asked if he could make a multiclassed bladesinger and paladin.

besides him having to getting a pretty fucking good story to justify that, is there any chance that that could break the game? it seems to be that bladesinger is a dex version of barbarian, but instead of being impossible to down so does he get spells instead.

my player asked me because he thinks it might break the game, but besides having an assload of versatility so doesn't it seem all that good, especially since it seems MAD as fuck

or is bladesinger something ridiculously strong that should be banned in itself? what do you guys think?
>>
>>48630364
Bladesingers are super squishy, being wizards.

And a Bladesinger/Paladin is gonna have MAD out the ass.
>>
>>48630364
He won't break the game. He can't use any shields or medium/heavy armor, he can't use any weapons that require two hands (so no GWM and PAM is limited to quarterstaff without Versatile), and he is MAD as all get out. He needs Str to 13 for multi-classing, Dex for AC and damage, Charisma at least at 13 and higher if he wants to take advantage of the bonus to saves and other features, and also Int for AC and concentration saves.

Not going to break the game and will take a while to get online.
>>
>>48630364
There is nothing in 5e that is game-breaking.
>>
>>48630364
>>48630492
samefag as the reply, he will also need Constitution because he will be in melee and low health does not bode well for someone who then loses the vast majority of their defenses while unconscious.
>>
>>48630547
I would rather have literally any other wizard archetype in a group before a bladesinger.
There is a reason for that, and the reason is not "they're too good".
>>
>>48630492
we start at level 10, he has already gotten his stats ready: 13,20,14,14,11,13
>>
>>48630570
>dat 14 int
>dat 13 cha
lol.
>>
>>48629938
Going tomelock, however, CAN get you Vicious Mockery. Which you should absolutely do, since it's one of the best in-combat cantrips along with EB.
>>
>>48628667
Hey guys, I think I'm going to make a set of sorcerer only spells. I'll have a brainstorming session later, but feel free to suggest some ideas.
>>
>>48630594
yeah, i'll also probably throw in some "lone" battles with only a single very powerful enemy where they are going next(we're starting a monster-hunting section) so im wondering if he just might get downed fairly quickly if he actully starts getting hit
>>
>>48630570

>that incredible +2 to AC from Bladesinging
>+1 to his saving throws from Charisma

This character would probably be pretty great if he stuck to one or the other. He's going to be pretty bad though.
>>
>>48630562
Bladesingers are actually very handy to have in a group, especially one that is low on healing. Namely, they are good at not dying when treated otherwise similarly to normal wizards. Sure, he will die quickly if he rushes out into melee and tries to be a martial, but he is much better able to withstand a swarm of arrows than his counterparts. Bladesingers are very good when you don't want the wizard to be a load on the party when they go down. They also work better for groups with more short rests...

>>48630570
Like I said, incredibly MAD. He has to burn another ASI just to make Bladesong better than a Shield of Faith. Or, you know, just a shield. Definitely not gonna break your game there...

>>48630618
Absolutely! But that doesn't really count for being Bard-only. After all, if that counts then Power Word Heal is literally the only class-specific spell, since a Bard can steal every other one.

>>48630688
Blasting.
>>
>>48630811
>melee wizard
>better at not dying than a wizard who does not go into melee
But let's say we have a bladesinging wizard that completely defies actually using his blade (which would still be smarter than trying to, which is a testament to how silly the archetype actually is).
An abjurer is just gonna be better in all circumstances at not dying - the +2 AC from bladesong isn't that gr8
>>
>>48630688
I was planning on making some of the metallic dragon breath weapon effects into sorcerer spells.
If you don't do it I'll get to it some time.
>>
>>48630847
A) I pointed out that he would be better at surviving arrows than his counterparts IF he didn't charge into melee. Yes, I am advocating forgoing the actual sword and just being a regular wizard who is much harder to hit.

B) It is not just a +2 to AC, it is +Int. The only way it will be +2 is if the wizard chose not to have an Int-boosting race and is below level 4. Additionally, they get +int to concentration saves, so they are better at keeping spells up than the abjurer is as well. That Blur or support spell is going to last far longer coming from a Bladesinger than from an Abjurer.
>>
>>48630910
The abjurer doesn't even have to test concentration if his shield doesn't die from an attack.
>>
>>48630099
Sooo...looks good then? No complaints?
>>
so im going to start up a new campaign soonish. my current idea for a villian/campaign goal is someone who starts as a seemingly altruistic noble, now trying to spend his life doing good. his argument is that if you kill a monster so do you just empty a slot that will be filled later by another, however, if you for example intruduce a new kind of grain or better agricultural methods so will you change millions of lives for the better. so he has developed a new strain of magical wheat that is much hardier against draughts and other such misfortunes, while at the same time growing way quicker.

and what better way to intruduce this in the very slow to trust neighbouring nation than have the heroes do a heroic deed, and instead of payment ask them to try the new wheat (with the noble instead paying them for every deed done) while also preforming a few fetchquests for him.

this leading into the wheat turning out to grow a special king of shamblers under the surface, the entire country being a mess, the party is getting hunted and the noble is using the at first glance seemingly harmless stuff they fetched to summon a demon horde, while both the party and the country is getting screwed

y/n? too long with fetchquests and sidemissions untill the real plot kicks in? any useful ideas to put in?
>>
>>48631050
And what will you do when the players steal control of that army of shamblers?
>>
>>48631050
It's pretty shit at the moment. You need to tell us why this guy is doing evil. Because his stated goals make NO sense when you pair it with what he's doing. He makes no sense.

Also, fix your grammar, goddamn.
>>
>>48630811
Was planning on some elemental havoc, yes

>>48630870
Maybe. I want to explore this bit of design space I just opened up, but some sorcerous breath weapons sounds good too.
>>
>>48631125
i don't really think of them as an army you can controll, just timebombs that once they are grown to maturity dig themselves out of the ground and start wrecking shit close to them. even if they manage to somehow capture and use a couple of them so are they just supposed to be a threat towards the villagers/villages and the countries food supply and should be no match for the adventurers unless in very large numbers, and thusly for the adventurers enemies aswell

not to mention "they spend time with training shamblers = more time for demons in the demon horde to get summoned"
>>
>>48631151
sorry for the grammar, im borderline retarded when it comes to writing and it's six in the morning here, im just about to hit the hay.

his plan is to destabalize the country to make it easier to take over. he'll achive this by weakening the source of food and the "common people" instead of attacking the military or leadership of the country, while at the same time using the party as a scapegoat. his end goal is fairly simply to summon a bunch of demons for a demon lord that he worships. thus letting the demons take over with him and his cult of followers being in the practical rulers of it,
>>
If some spell were both A) a cantrip and B) usable as a reaction, how strong could it really be? It would by far be the "cheapest" spell effect possible and I'm not sure how to approach it. I guess for simplicity imagine that it adds damage to another damaging effect.
>>
>>48631289
Perhaps make it so he believes most humanoid races are destroying the planet/nature or he's just a hippie, so his solution to fix this is to kill everything.
Could also add that anyone who eats that wheat becomes diseased/infected and will turn into a plant abomination or a shambler bursts from inside.
>>
>>48631314
there are no reaction cantrips for a good reason
>>
>>48631361
Because it's hard to work with obviously. But I'm not convinced it's impossible to make work fairly. Anyways it's just a thought experiment at this point.
>>
>>48631314
>want some sort of super AoO cantrip
it either needs alot of conditions, or to be weak as fuck, and not scale. if its weak as fuck , its just annoying to add an extra pointless roll per round
>>
>>48631361
I can fix that!

>Fabulous
>Cantrip
>Verbal
>As a reaction when you make an attack roll, skill check, or save, you perform your action with such aplomb and panache that everyone who sees it agrees it was very good and might even applaud a little bit.
>>
>>48631432
you only get a reaction when it's not your turn
>>
>>48631460
Alright.

>Fabulous
>As a reaction to your turn ending, all creatures within 30ft agrees that whatever you did during your turn was pretty cool. They might even clap.
>>
>>48631408
>>48631408
It's almost like designing a weak class feature. Let me try something.

>Hot Foot
>Evocation cantrip
>Reaction
>When an opponent completes a move on their turn, you may attempt to harm their feet with a lick of flame. The target makes a dexterity save with advantage, on failure the target takes 1 damage and moves back 5 feet towards their previous position.

>>48631460
Not true!
>>
>>48625269
My DM had a session or so where we started out with a lowered stat array, no class skills and shitty weapons (I had a hunting bow, and for melee I was punching people).

Basic story was magic had disappeared from the world for a while, and our adventure started just as it came back, so we didn't have a caster until then, either, so it wasn't a big deal.
>>
What's your gaming group like?
>>
>>48631498
>Acidic Blood
>Transmutation cantrip
>Reaction
>If you take damage in melee from piercing or slashing damage you may spray the offender with your sizzling blood. The target makes a reflex save, on a failure they take 1d4 acid damage.
>>
File: 138930430583.png (41KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
138930430583.png
41KB, 500x500px
Is it possible for a level 4 warlock to summon and control demons? They picked up some incomplete runes from a thwarted drow ritual. They attempted it and a a shadow demon appeared, attacked them, and then vanished when the ritual ring was destroyed.

How would they go about it? what kind of demons could the reasonable summon?
>>
>>48631408
There's already a super opportunity attack cantrip. It's called Booming Blade with War Caster.
>>
Made a homebrew, would appreciate it if someone could look at it and see if anything is out of place or appears overpowered.

I've tried testing it at low, mid, and high-levels and everything seems fine to me, but I might be missing something.
>>
>>48631566
just barely started, its sadly a massive group
>murder hobo, practically already dropping out
>mary sue, most likely murder hobo
>probably going to drop out
combined with a dm that seems to really want to be running a game
the other end is
a person really into wanting to play/actually made a backstory
a person who had trouble with making a backstory, but seems to be into playing
and me
who has made a (relatively to everyone else) pretty big backstory and just wants the murderhobo greentext ones to leave
also i secretly made my character based on a song, and most none of the party even would even have a chance to catch it
>>
>>48631566
Autists. All of them. Not even exaggerating a little bit.
>>
>>48631672
Just read it a bit, but why is medium armor proficiency a 3rd level class ability? As opposed to just starting off with it? All I can see is making multiclassing different.
>>
>>48631566
They write fanfics and two of them are getting married. Their emotions ended the last meeting prematurely.
>>
To DMs, what way do you build new worlds when starting a new campaign? Do you know the story first or develop the world then story?
>>
>>48631746
It harkens back to the class from 3.5, that would gain armor proficiencies as they leveled. The idea behind it from a fluff standpoint is that they get more experience with wearing heavier and heavier armor and still casting their spells without interference.
>>
>>48631566
Group A
>been playing together online for years now
>snooty know-it-all DM
>DM's absent-minded boyfriend
>constantly-agitated guy
>kinda "off" and weird dude I know IRL
>and me

Group B
>playing together for one year
>weird fat dude
>goofy Brit
>obnoxiously loud guy I know IRL
>guy who constantly loses his train of thought or stops paying attention
>Normie von Normiestein
>moodier Brit
>and me

Group C
>played for just a few months, total newbies
>obnoxious opinionated dude
>stuttering Twitch streamer
>passive-aggressive normie
>younger guy with annoying family
>ever-suffering europoor
>>
Should I multi-class a pact blade warlock with paladin or rogue?
>>
Hey guys, I'm new to /tg/ games and I want to know if this is a good game to start with.

I know next to nothing about playing RPGs, too.
>>
>>48631566
DMing for some friends:

Gnome bard
>only person who has experience with 5e and knows what he's doing
>plays him like Scanlan Shorthalt minus the whore houses
>knows how to have fun without being a spotlight hog

Tiefling Warlock
>fairly new to 5e but the second most experienced in the group
>she's hella spacey when it isn't her turn but she will get involved and have fun if it's her turn or there's roleplaying to be had
>has a fairly decent grasp of what she can and can't do
>can come up with solutions to situations I hadn't considered

Aasimar Sorcerer
>married to the gnome irl
>isn't as comfortable with rp but isn't a stick in the mud
>has a fairly good grasp at what her spells can do

Human rogue
>compares everything to Skyrim
>wants to be persuasive and talkative despite making charisma his lowest stat
>made strength his highest stat, tied with dexterity
>wants to dual wield hand axes because muh skyrim
>barely understands what he can and can't do during combat
>will run away from a fight even though the others choose to stay and fight if he's at low health

I wonder how long it will take for me to kill one of them
>>
>>48631861
Multi-classing means you're going to take longer to reach lifedrinker, which is probably the only reason you'd ever go pact of the blade other than flavour.
Otherwise, you'd be going pact of the tome to grab shillelagh and you'd maybe have a melee cantrip instead of multi-attack.
Even if you've got 15 strength to wear heavy armour, shillelagh is a lovely thing and shillelagh+heavy armour+melee cantrips is probably your only way out of 'warlocks are for eldritch blasting' hell.
>>
>>48631881
You know what, trap the rogue in a cage with a deadly monster and make it a challenge for the party to:

>Pry open the super strong cage
>Convince the guarding foes to open the cage
>Kill the guards
>Destroy a magic-resistant cage

Either he dies or they learn a lesson.
>>
>>48631834
>It harkens back to the class from 3.5,
That's not a reason to do it. That's a reason not to do it.
>>
>>48631861
i started off with fighter for the proficiencies (str), but you really do want to reach 12th warlock ASAP for lifedrinker, since that's where their power peaks.

though i'm doing a fighter 3/lock 17 build with polearm mastery, and it remains competitive with eldritch blast spam up till max level, so it's kinda neat.
>>
>>48631986
I like this idea, thanks anon
>>
What do you think about betrayal, backstabbing, scheming etc. PCs? As in, a good party but one character is evil but will be able to stick with them without big trouble until the very end, where they have different intentions. I feel like it would either result in that character getting his way which takes away the reward for the other players and would make me feel sick, or the players kill him and the PC becomes as important as an NPC, which cannot be fun for them. I like the last idea since it means the betrayal is a bit more personal and stuff because in the meta, the players would maybe expect betrayal by a shady NPC that comes with them and they wouldn't interact much with them either, while as a PC they assume some things that could be false. But it really just doesn't seem worth it.
>>
>>48628476
Where you from fampai
>>
>>48629618

The group I play AL with is pretty cool. Wish they'd roleplay more though. The only one I dislike is a 13 year old kid who's annoying as shit but since the game is at the lgs nothing can be done really.
>>
>>48624863
Play a bard. The bardic inspiration die you can give is quite a decent advantage in all situations. 5e bard is based all around being generally applicable, so you'll be useful in combat (melee or ranged), exploration, and socialization.
>>
>>48632178
It should be something the players should see coming.

It's not so great if they suddenly betray everyone right at the end with absolutely no hints or anything that they're even evil.
If they're clearly evil, they're pretty much putting themself either prepared to die at the hands of the party or on the lam.

If they're a scheming, careful and well-concealed evil, they should still show some signs of evil or it's just bad roleplaying. The evil person might show a surprising lack of compassion or a willingness to take less savoury techniques.

Honestly, it won't be so much as betrayal if it's obvious as "Well, what the fuck did you expect?"
>>
>>48631907
i never really understood shillelagh as a good choice overall.
doesn't all it do is reduce MAD on a few builds?
the native classes that get it, all get 1 attack, so it doesn't seem that useful for them, that, or a feat spend on a bonus action attack.
shillelagh to me just seems like "and this person also took polearm master"
>>
>>48631828
Depends what idea I start out with, but mostly side by side. The one I am GMing in a couple of days has the players explore the world and set up teleportation circles to connect to the home city, so that they can finally do proper trading without facing the dangerous wilds. Or so they can conquer their asses, depends on how the players treat each town. I am just writing stuff as I come up with it, wrote a lot about the city and its culture since players were asking questions about some of it, and then went onto writing everything that had an order in that order (players meet the keisar, his court mage, get the quest and spell tablets, sleep, go out to designated area, fix it up, go back and talk a bit, then they can go whenever in which case the structure of my notes takes a bit of a hit.).
>>
>>48626143
All crossbows have the loading property. This prevents you from using Extra Attack from your class feature to fire more than once per turn, unless you have crossbow expert.
>>
>>48624863
The bard class is a full caster with access to essential any 4 spells in the game form any list . You also have one of the best buffs in the game. better heals and a weaponize-able bag-pipe
>>
>>48632339
And that's a big thing. Being able to focus on getting just one stat up instead of two gives you better results.
You only have to get charisma to 20 and you'll already have +5 to hit, +5 to damage, +5 to GFB secondary damage, +5 to hit with warlock spells, +5 to this, +5 to that... +5 to abilities like fiend warlock's level 1 ability.. Higher spell DC.

On the other hand, pact of the blade warlock needs high strength to even hit in the first place. They also need charisma for spelling about and thristing blade.
Likely, a pact of the blade warlock will not have high strength unless they rolled really good stats, and may have to sacrifice a stat like dex or con to get high strength.
Even if you're going shillelagh AND want heavy armour, being able to leave your strength at 15 with only a +2 modifier to hit NORMALLY is nice.

And the deal is, going shillelagh and levelling charisma is much more versatile.
Instead of wasting your entire pact on trying to mess with weapons, the warlock gets shillelagh as one of three bonus cantrips, and can then get ritual casting through pact of the tome. They also don't need two invocations to be viable like pact of the blade.

The main downside is pact of the blade warlocks have a wider choice of weapons, especially in the case of magical ones.
>>
>>48632433
>>48632339
Oh, uhh
tl;dr:
Being less MAD as a cantrip is kind of a good thing, you know?
>>
>>48632433
not the other guy

i agree that reducing MAD is a huge boon, but the whole deal with bladelocks is doing competitive melee damage, which i don't see shill ever doing. sure you get great scores for +to hit and stuff, but you're not gonna get any extra attacks, so why would anyone ever want to stride up and just shill someone?
>>
>>48627335
>Technically, you should have to use your object interaction to put the weapon away, and then cast the spell.
>It's then object interaction to draw the weapon again

Free action to drop, then an object interaction to pick back up.

Maybe if the DM gets sick of this an enemy will ready an action to kick anything dropped away or something, but outside that I see no problem.
>>
>>48632433
i dunno, it just feels kinda useless in that exact warlock scenario, because you have one attack.
even with two, 2d8+10, doesn't really average all that different than 4d10. the only way i see it being an alright spell, is a cleric trying to avoid MAD, but also trying to get an extra attack so divine strike goes off, and even then they get less sacred weapon use
>>
>>48628830
The difference I see is Hurl Through Hell is single target.
Your thing is any number of creatures in range, and you get to create safe pockets for friends, to boot.
>>
>>48632485
Booming blade
At level 17...
>1d8+5 bludgeoning damage + 3d8 thunder damage + 4d8 thunder damage if they then move
Green flame blade, at highest level
>1d8+5 bludgeoning damage + 3d8 fire damage + 3d8+5 fire damage to a second target
And part of the deal is that melee is a bit more of an option, and you can go back to eldritch blasting if you feel like it. Sure, bladelocks could eldritch blast.. But they're already using up two of their invocations, and if they get the eldritch blast invocations too then they're limiting their other invocation choices.

You also don't have to reach level 12 in warlock. You could reach level 3 in warlock and then fuck off elsewhere, and still do full greenflameblade/booming blade damage.
If you multiclass out, there are a bunch of things that can kick up your melee damage even further. Rogue is the obvious one, which will give you sneak attack damage on top of the above.
Eldritch knight lets you take more attacks while still using that cantrip. Also heavy armour.
Clerics get +1d8 damage at level 8. Also heavy armour.

>>48632520
Green flame blade, booming blade.
Cantrips in the SCAG. See damage above.

Of course, they're not standard rulebook.. But they're still UA.
>>
For my new character I want to play a lore bard from the military.

Basically he doesn't know he's a bard and just thinks he's a natural leader( giving inspiration seemingly by accident with encouraging words)

After a time he realises he's a bard and that's his character struggle/development.

Does this sound like a character you'd like in your party?
>>
>>48628721
I guess even Driders want to have a White Webbing.
>>
>>48632584
Yeah, but it does offer a save, unlike Hurl Through Hell, does considerably less damage than a 7th or 8th level aoe spell is supposed to (a fair comparison given you get the ability itself between those spell levels), offers saves, and any given effects of a failed save aren't even terribly crippling (1 level exhaustion isn't very relevant for combat, while the more rare radiant damage will only blind/stun creatures for a single round on a failed save only).
The effect is also centered on the warlock, and can't be projected, meaning the warlock has to wander into the very center of most combats to effect more than a few creatures (assuming many combatants in the first place).
I'm going to playtest it, but I don't predict it's actually going to end up being that bad.
>>
>>48628527
Addin' a familiar option that anyone might use, but that I think is fitting to this archetype.
Pretty sure it compares similarly to the other Chain specific Find Familiar options. No Magic Resistance, but instead offers a better option as a scout in many circumstances due to incorporeal movement.
Based a number of its abilities on the will-o'-wisp in conjunction with comparing it to imp/pseudodragon/quasit/sprite to get what I think is a pretty neat familiar option.
>>
>>48628527
>>48632741
And here it is.
>>
>>48632696
Don't forget the double-radius everybody-friendly-can-see-through-it-darkness, though.

Darkness is a level 2 spell, has half the radius (15ft) and nobody, not even yourself can see through it without the proper means (devil's sight most often for warlocks)
>>
>>48632771
Yeah, though it does only last for a single round.
I think that's going to be the biggest balancing factor. Fights in 5e are attrition-y, especially going into those higher levels.
I certainly think it's a good effect, but I don't think it's going to play out as too overtuned. We'll see though.
>>
>>48632752
Might be just me, but being able to go through walls and pretty much anything seems a bit powerful, especially when one of the main uses of a familiar is to scout about.

The other familiars don't have a lot of extra things to offer. The quasit can turn into.. Other familiar type things, and their attacks are a bit better if you ever choose to use it.
The sprite determines if things are good or evil. Nice, but probably not as generally useful as being able to tell the DM "I send my familiar ahead to slowly determine an exact map of the dungeon we're about to enter and all its secret areas."

Of course, there are some limitations where it might get attacked or it can't move further than half its movement speed into a wall where a secret might be before having to move back again, but...
>>
>>48631566
Good people. Our skype is pretty active between sessions just bullshit about random stuff.

DM is Canadian. Gay guy. Little uppity, but in a good natured way.

Rogue is a little tactically dumb, 18-19 or so lesbian. Good heart, probably a little sheltered by crazy parents.

Ranger is another gay Canadian guy. Always looking for the best in people, including the pretty clearly evil super strong NPCs. Likes to take control.

Druid is an American from somewhere like California I think. She recently got engaged. Usually takes more of a back seat, but if it's something her character would care about pipes up.

I'm the sorcerer, definitely sitting on the back seat. I feel like I'm talking over people, so I don't often interject myself. Only straight male in the group. Also only non-North American.
>>
>>48632866
Yeah, that's what makes it a better scout in many scenarios than the rest.
I think that's at least somewhat alright though, given you can get Magic Resistance from the other familiars, the other familiars can Use Objects and can communicate with others without the invocation, and can do some other neat things the wandering globe can't (like the shapeshifting).
>>
>>48632906
Correction *the invocation in question doesn't actually let the observer communicate with others. It just lets you communicate through it.
>>
>>48632906
You cannot get magic resistance from the other familiars. That would be ridiculous.

You get magic resistance if you obtain those familiars through non-find-familiar means, if your DM feels kind to you. And then, those familiars may decide to back out of your little contract if they're so inclined.

It's kind of badly worded.

I'm thinking the main disadvantage of the floating globe thing is the fact it emits light at all. If you do send it out to scout, it will be somewhat obvious, not that anyone will probably recognize it easily.
>>
>>48632954
>You cannot get magic resistance from the other familiars
MM page 254 my friendo
>>
File: 2016-08-01_23-29-33.png (190KB, 608x622px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-01_23-29-33.png
190KB, 608x622px
>>48631566
GM (me)
>lazy fuck who makes shit a day or hours before the session, and also improvises/makes ass pulls
>had to postpone last session due to almost losing my scholarship

Tara, Human Druid
>good roleplayer
>first was an edgy tiefling gunslinger/bounty hunter
>killed enemies who other party members were interrogating
>people who never played with him before think he's THAT GUY
>current PC killed his tiefling because he burned a forest down
>now gets along with the party

M'roo, Catfolk Warlock
>adorable small cat person who worships satan
>always with a cheerful smile
>puns
>everybody loves M'roo
>every slain enemy makes patron happier!
>wait is it a boy or a girl?

Victor, Dragonborn Fighter
>man (dragon??) of few words
>saw his mercenary company get slaughtered by horrors
>murdering bad people is the right thing to do
>gotta murder client who sent company to certain death

Aera'krar, Aarakroca bard
>cheerful
>likes to entertain, not just with music, but even puts a show while eating fish
>CAW!
>german accent

Iriekira, Dragonborn Gunslinger
>used to be a slave, got rescued by a paladin
>became squire of said paladin
>said paladin is probably dead, takes his teachings to heart
Her player skipped the first half of a session, so to make stuff easier (for me) I said she overslept and the party left her behind in town as a PRANK. Player joined mid session, when the party was about to enter a dungeon, he was pissed IC
>>
>>48632954
>>48632964
Unless SA or something clarified that. I'm unaware of any rulings.

>>48632954
It only emits light while it's not invisible, like the will-o'-wisp.
>>
i know this is a retarded, question, and im pretty damn sure the answer is no
...but can spiritual weapon proc Divine strike?
>>
>>48632964
I know it looks like that, but here's the reality:

The familiar is not actually a psuedodragon or a sprite or a quasit. It merely takes the form of one. While it has all the abilities of one, it does not have the abilities of the familiar variants (don't ask why, a wizard made this up.)

The variant shown is a 'psuedodragon familiar'. This is a psuedodragon that can appear, and may make a pact with someone. If it does, it may then grant shared magic resistance.

I honestly cannot explain this very well other than the fact that giving the warlock magic resistance would be blatantly overpowered, and thus proves that they did not intend for this. If you google it, you'll find a lot of comments on the matter.
>>
>>48632987
>>48632964
>>48632954
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/10/do-chain-pact-warlocks-get-the-familiars-magic-resistance/

Got it captain. That is badly worded.
So we're trading the ability to communicate with others, the ability to interact with objects at all, and some minor other abilities like shapeshifting for the ability to move through creatures and objects at half speed.

I dunno. That seems alright. A sprite can fly through a dungeon with a +8 stealth and steal a guard's keys and bring them back to me. An observer can look at the keys intensely, but damn sure he's gonna get to do so.
>>
>>48633019
No. Spiritual weapon makes a 'melee spell attack'. You must make a 'melee weapon attack' to proc divine strike. Most of the time, this will be through the attack action. There are some other times this may occur, such as using green flame blade or booming blade.

Curiously enough, I don't believe divine strike applies to opportunity attacks. It only happens 'once a turn', not 'once a round'. Your turn does not include the turns of others, and thus you cannot apply it if an enemy provokes an opportunity attack when it isn't your turn.
>>
>>48633032
Found the SA for it - it makes sense.
If they actually could get magic resistance, all it would do is make me resent every idiot I've played with who's gone bladelock even more.
>>
>>48633019

I would say no.
Divine Strike states when you make a weapon attack, while Spiritual Weapon is a spell effect.
>>
>>48632178
>>48632326
that would be really annoying to me, knowing that one of the players is evil and plans on backstabbing me, and having to roleplay my character being oblivious even though he would normally do something about it
having an evil character in a good party really restricts the roleplaying of everyone else
>>
>>48633064
>>48633073
thats how i read and figured it, but the fact that it was a literal weapon (one favored by your god at that) making the melee spell attack made me question it, doubly so since melee clerics want more hits to get divine strike off
>>
>>48633045
Well, when you put it like that, it doesn't sound too far out there.

I still think it's much better to have a familiar that can go past every door and tell you what's beyond there and whether it's worth bothering going through or not, but that's just me. I think being able to move through walls is much more often useful than stealing keys in stealth.

It's really all about the doors here. Regular familiars are much stealthier, though quite often you might have a rogue or something who'd rather be taking their hand at stealing everything.
There are a lot of ways of getting keys off of a guard, but usually the only option to see what's on the other side of a door is to open it.
>>
>>48633119
I don't mean like that, and I don't think the other anon did either. I hate justifying being an asshole with "it's what my character would do" but in this case the fault lies with the evil player since he started it. He would need to clarify exactly what morals everyone else has and figure out a way for his character to be capable of adventuring with the party without being killed/left behind/stopped in doing anything significant according to his alignment. I don't allow evil characters in good parties because it's a clusterfuck but it can probably be done well. My problem is when it works well until the very last moment when you are about to stop the end of the world or whatever the BBEG is planning, and one turns around and wants something different. I just don't see any way for it to be a good decision or how it would be enjoyable for anyone.
>>
>>48633119
They'd show it in-character, obviously.

Unless your characters are total dumbbags or you're total dumbbags, someone will probably pick up on it.
>>
>>48633064
Sneak attack is the same though, and it is accepted to be usable on AoOs I think? Their wording is different but I don't see any reason to treat them differently like this, either both apply or neither.
>Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 x damage to the target
>Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack
>>
>>48633140
If you want double the chances of getting your extra 1d8 that turn, better go for two-weapon-fighting.
... Okay, that doesn't actually sound very viable, but hey. Dual wielding clerics! It sounds gimmicky, it IS gimmicky!
>>
>>48633160
Oh I certainly think it's good. Not having to open doors to check the other side would, indeed, be awesome to do without expending spell resources.
It is I think mostly about those doors. You're giving up general utility (being able to communicate with others, interact with objects at all, or other more minor tricks) for specific utility (I'm gonna figure out what's behind that door and I'm not gonna have to open it).
I think the familiar itself just fits the archetype in particular pretty flavorfully, and I don't think is un-useful in the least. I'm going to run it by my DM and see if he'd be down for playtesting the familiar a bit too.
>>
>>48633231
You've made me realize something. I thought sneak attacks weren't able to trigger not on your turn, but...

The rogue definitely can sneak attack not on their turn, as it is 'once per turn'. Thus, they can sneak attack multiple times in a round if they're lucky.

The Cleric, however, has rather specific wording. 'Once on each of YOUR turns'. So I'll stand by what I said, the wording is different in such a way it implies you cannot do it when it is not your turn.
>>
>>48633265
It's probably worth a shot testing. I don't have a lot of experience with familiars but if you have some experience with normal familiars as well then you might be able to see if they sort of balance out.
>>
>>48633278
That makes sense in the world of shitty 5e wording I suppose.
>>
>>48633278
>Thus, they can sneak attack multiple times in a round if they're lucky.
what? no way.

there's specific wording in the PHB that states anything that happens once per turn can't trigger against until its the character's turn again.
>>
>>48625840
1 every week. Reminder that Kumoko is a terrible mother and that her only friends are alcohol and the demon lord that's half her.
>>
>>48633278
>>48633318
to expand on that, my understanding was that once they've dealt their sneak attack, (either through an action, readied action, AoO reaction), they can't benefit from it until it becomes their turn again.
>>
>>48633303
For all I know daggers is actually a typo for "flying bananas", honestly.

I meant to explain that 'once per turn' means 'once per anyone's turn'.

>>48633318
Really?
This sage advice thing was telling me otherwise.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/18/sneak-once-per-turn/
>>
>>48633296
Played with an owl before a good amount. Flyby + the Help action was incredibly solid, + it had great perception.

We'll see how they compare - I'll try re-playing certain scenarios we go through with a quasit/sprite/imp/pseudodragon, since I haven't played with those before and those are more along the "power" lines of what I'd want to compare the observer to.
>>
>>48633233
i guess it was more me wondering where melee clerics damage comes from.
war gets two chances to get its strike
tempest gets maximized BTFO spells, and reaction hits
nature gets... i guess variable elements to prey on weakness/resistances? they just get one chance to get that "three attacks" worth of hit off though. but i guess they can abuse shalallbo/pole arm combo though
>>
>>48633347
huh, interesting, looks like i'll have to read the hb again ;___;

well, on the plus side this new knowledge makes my fighter 5/rogue 15 build is even stronger, hehhe.
>>
>>48633355
Booming blade.
Green flame blade.
They make war priest's 1st level useless, but nyeh.

Nature gets shillelagh if they want, note.

With the extra 1d8 and a warhammer you deal, with booming blade:

5d8+Strmod(or other mod with shillelagh) + 4d8 if they then move.
>>
>>48633347
Yeah I totally get it, it's just very unintuitive. A sentence clarifying that this mean anyone's turn, so it works with opportunity attacks, would have been much better and clearly not everyone gets how it works even in a thread that generally has people that know the game.
>>
>>48633407
>boomyblasty blade
>gay fart blade
presumably without feats and/or multiclass for memeshit
>>
>>48633416
I learn new things every day.

I remember learning something yesterday, but I've forgotten it, and I remember it being a really important piece of information.
Fuck.
>>
>>48633407
yeah, but everything can take "wizard lite"
that doesnt really make nature do more damage, or tempest get more spells off, thats just "im using wizard cantrips instead of my class, because this is better than that"
>>
>>48631997
Ok, then how about looking at it from a crunch standpoint.

You're telling me that you're ok with any Wizard going Duskblade 1/Wizard 19, getting all armor proficiencies AND shield proficiency AND all those weapon proficiencies?

Even if they do a 1 level Duskblade dip into Wizard 19, that's still them learning a lot of shit. So gating it discourages cherry-picking classes for min-max purposes.
>>
>>48633446
Well then, you're out of luck.
Back onto the streets, kiddo. You take this gay fart blade up your ass or your leave it.
>>
>>48633469
It's also warlock and sorcerer.

.. Which is kind of wizardey anyway.

Clerics only get the one damage cantrip, so it's only natural to go looking for pretty much anything else. The Cleric's cantrip isn't bad, it's just... Some clerics might actually be more thematically suited to something a little more zesty.
>>
File: 1432526375093.jpg (115KB, 537x760px) Image search: [Google]
1432526375093.jpg
115KB, 537x760px
I want to run a 'Theurge' the classic way now, just a Wizard/Cleric multiclass. Probably dropping 2 levels in Life Cleric, the rest in Conjuration Wizard specifically for character reasons. Is there a reason to take more levels in Cleric when I mostly want to use it to add some base level direct buffs/utility to my spell roster? Should I be trying to rely on no armor/mage armor, light armor, medium armor, or heavy armor? I'll be able to use any thanks to Life Cleric, but I don't want to wade around the frontline anyways, since I could just use healing word or a familiar delivering cure wounds.
>>
Hey 5eg, does anybody know of form-fillable sheets that have plenty of extra room for abilities on them? I'm making premades for tutorial game purposes and want to emulate the Lost Mines characters, but those have extra room on them.
>>
File: 1461679745127.jpg (238KB, 716x717px) Image search: [Google]
1461679745127.jpg
238KB, 716x717px
>>48624261
I haven't been involved with 5e since the new monster handbook got announced. Did I miss anything new? Any new UAs worth noting?
>>
>>48633517
15 str, dump dex, heavy armour. Also, shield.
Alternatively
Dwarf, dump str, dump dex, heavy armour. Shield. You get 5ft less movement.
Alternatively
Dump the fuck out of everything. Heavy armour + shield. You get 10ft less movement.
Alternatively
14 dex, dump str, medium armour. This gives you better dex saves and initiative but 1 less AC. Did I mention shield?
Lastly
20 dex (For optimal AC), dump str, light armour, shield. 1 less AC with light armour, same AC as plate armour if you use mage armour. You must be fucking rolling in stat points to get this, but it's better than heavy armour because it's good for using rapiers (with melee cantrips) and it's good for dex saves and initiative.

You've got a choice.
>>
>>48633592
Most recent UA is neat. Tone down the theurge by limiting them to their domain options, and then just specify that their domain spells count as wizard spells and, while still incredibly good, still I don't think is quite as good as illusionist/divination wizards.

Warlock archetype is very cool fluff-wise, but just a bit lacking on the mechanics. If you buff it a little bit, and add invocations for Pact of the Star Chain it it's also pretty cool.
>>
>New grill player in upcoming LMoP session
>"There are pregen characters- oh you want to do your own, ok. Send me what you come up with and I'll help you work it into a functional Character Sheet."
>She sends me literally My Immortal about a So Tragic™ ghostwise halfling in two paragraphs.
>Paragraph one is a (>5'8") halfling crossbow user (>bard) that wouldn't be out of place in an Underworld movie
>Paragraph two is obligatory "I gotta hunt the people who murdered my family at age 13" grimderp background

Can this even be saved or do I send her back to square one
I have never seen writing this bad and I'm trying not to be a complete dick
>>
>>48633773
It's Lost Mine. Does it really matter how bad it's written?
>>
>>48633785
Eh. Not really. Do you really think the next character she brings to a session's going to improve just by being around characters that don't read like they were written by Warped Tour teenagers though? How do you approach a terrible writer joining long-term groups?
>>
>>48633773
Encourage her to not be a halfling and go for human or half-elf instead?

Human lets her still go for the, "parents murdered when I was 13" bullshit, half-elf gives you the out of letting her be special snowflake and still be reasonable, saying that she was raised by a single parent, because the elf-half couldn't deal with the shame of siring an impure creature. Pulls at both the Mary Sue aspect but maintains a believable aspect to her story.
>>
>>48633773
>5'8" halfling
I am laffin
>>
>>48633815
Who also doesn't know how to even create lore-friendly bodies for their race
>>
File: ss+(2016-08-05+at+12.42.00).png (3KB, 192x117px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-08-05+at+12.42.00).png
3KB, 192x117px
>>48633824
>130 lb hambeastling
You have no idea
>>
>>48633842
>Bright Green eyes
>Deep Purple hair
>Pale White skin
Maybe suggest she should play a gnome instead?
>>
>>48633815
If your intent is to try and reform this person and push them away from emo goth kid stuff, point out that you can have just as interesting a background from coming from a "normal" family and adventuring because of any other number of reasons.

Maybe they got inspired by stories of treasure and heroics by a traveling bard. Or some battle-hardened warrior saved the village from a goblin attack. Or maybe they took to adventuring to support the family back home, because the fields have started to go bad, or they can't earn enough money with their craftsmanship anymore in the city because of a depression.
>>
>>48633832
>>48633773
Just tell her
>>48633842
oh God. Um. I don't know anymore. That's just... oh dear.
>>
>>48633842
Yeesh, that's kinda bad.

I mean, there's still a chance to work this into something believable. Half-Elf, change pale-white skin to fair-colored (showing her lineage being partly elven in nature), and you could change the hair to a raven black, as I believe that looks like a dark purple with its highlights.
>>
File: hachiman.jpg (76KB, 611x548px) Image search: [Google]
hachiman.jpg
76KB, 611x548px
>>48633842
wew lad

i'd heavily suggest a race change, does she even know what the different races are?
>>
>>48633842
>6 foot tall small sized 300 pound gnome barbarians dual weilding tridents.jpg
>>
>>48633997
Thank you. Laughing feels good.
>>
Status update:
Grillnewb is open to criticism. Adapting the family aspect of GW lings to make her search for a surviving member of her nuclear family kidnapped when the others died, switching to a ranger for the whole "giant owl riding archer" aesthetic.
We'll hammer a fatgirl out of her yet.
>>
>>48634047
>giant owl
I take it you're gonna use consensus ranger beast master then?
>>
>>48633341
Eh, not arguing that she's a terrible mother, but she seems to get on okay with Wrath and Gyurie in a way that could be roughly considered companinonship.
Also, ArielXShiraori OTP. Hang in there, former Body-in-Charge.
>>
>>48630529
puh-lease
>>
>>48634076
Gimme something that legit breaks the game senpai.
The reign of 3.5's ivory tower and giant power gaps has been brought low.
>>
>>48634066
P much. Little more work on my end, but it's my turn to be This Guy anyway. Everyone starts somewhere.
>>
>>48634047
>nuclear family
fucking christ, this is a world where steel isn't probably invented yet, and she wants to use nuclear power?
>>
File: immortal wizards.jpg (781KB, 925x2272px) Image search: [Google]
immortal wizards.jpg
781KB, 925x2272px
>>48634087
>>
>>48630570
lol you're good if thats his stats. hes going to be a really bad dex fighter.

HE will have fun, but dont worry about him being gamebreaking. do you know his level breakdown, out of curiosity?
>>
>>48634093
oh you
>>
>>48634098
>>48634087
>horsecasting
>>
>>48634107
Nah, Wish-Clone Immortality is actually legit RAW and RAI, not based on a poor skewing of rules wording like horsecasting.
>>
File: latest-5.jpg (114KB, 1000x763px) Image search: [Google]
latest-5.jpg
114KB, 1000x763px
>>48630870
>I was planning on making some of the metallic dragon breath weapon effects into sorcerer spells.
>If you don't do it I'll get to it some time.
I want to take this on. Dragon weapons for a dragon sorcerer sounds good.
>>
>>48634098
Bruh it's wish.
>>
>>48631601
just so we're all clear this is terrible and unbalanced and will just add extra rolling to the game for no real good reason
>>
>>48634093
I have also heard that term used for a very insular, secluded family that doesn't associate with many other people.

Could be interesting to roleplay out, if she is a socially inept halfling that struggles to not be awkward 24/7 the moment she sees a town with more than 1,000 people within its walls.
>>
>>48634118
Go for it senpai.
I'll make some myself and we can compare notes. I'm probably gonna work on the gold dragon's weakening breath first, since I'm actually playing a gold dragon sorcerer in a game atm.
>>
>>48634118
Aren't there a couple of breath weapon-like effects in the Elemental Evils book?

Could be something as easy as copy+pasting from that, refluffing the names and damage types as needed.
>>
>>48634167
>Aren't there a couple of breath weapon-like effects in the Elemental Evils book?
Nope.
>>
>>48634087
Its not like 3.5, you're right. I was just shit (?) posting. But you CAN stack like 400+ burst damage in a single turn which kind of fucks a lot of encounter balance.
>>
>>48634188
>But you CAN stack like 400+ burst damage in a single turn
The likelihood of someone actually getting 400+ damage off in those builds is incredibly remote without some really stupid unlikely and highly coordinated setup vs any target that being able to nova like that would actually matter.
Hell, getting more than 200 is incredibly remote.
>>
>>48633592
Besides the newest UA, and the shitty one from last month, there was one on feats with some good design choice notes and feats of varying quality. Gothic Heroes had the Revenant as a generic subrace which is a bit strange to me but it's a cool option, Inquisite Rogue and Monster Hunter Fighter are also pretty good I think.
>>
>>48634215
nah i thought so too but i statted it out. its pretty easy to average 400 if thats what you want to do. which means that your range is going to go way higher than 400.
>>
>>48634318
>its pretty easy to average 400 if thats what you want to do
Please demonstrate. I'll be charitable and you can use 19 AC as your base.
>>
>>48634141
It makes more sense (to me) if she fucks off from fellow GW to go adventure because she's a grimdork edgelord and all the other lings treat her as such
>>
>>48634499
That's the defeatist, negative attitude. If she's open to criticism (which seems to be the case from what >>48634047 said) and room to improve, then we can reform her into at the very least a decent roleplayer that's only slightly autistic, like most everyone else in 5eg, myself included.
>>
The city my players are in currently has a water/sewage system that basically works by taking fresh water from the plane of water and disposing of waste in the plane of fire.

I'm thinking it'd be fun to have some Fire Elemental Prince get pissed off at all the literal shit being dumped into his domain and attack the city.
>>
>>48634600
It's all reduced to carbon anyways. I can't imagine a firelord objecting to more proverbial fuel.
>>
>>48634609
It just seems undignified. Do elementals smell?
>>
>>48634616
They're elementals. They only really care about propagating their element. On their home plane they're not even sentient.
>>
>>48626912
I assume this sort of thing is just what happens when you allow /pfg/ to be as shit as it is and you share a board
>>48624965
Barbarian or druid would probably be the closest to something that already exists in terms of class features. Really you could just go by how infecting works in the Monster Manual if you wanted to
>>
>>48634112
It's not really even that much better than just doing clone the normal way with someone to heal you of that pound of flesh you paid for the spell with nearby. Clone is just crazy good since it's basically creating a save point for your character
>>
>>48634665
>>48634665
>>48634665
>>
File: image.png (10KB, 531x277px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
10KB, 531x277px
Mechanically what's the 'ideal' pacing for encounters and breaks.

For example if a wizard in a dungeon craw game (where combat happens regularly without rest breaks) he's got a reason not to just blow his fifth level spell on the first goblin he sees.

Compare to a more open story and exploration style game. The wizard might as well go nova on the first fight.
>>
>>48634694
i believe its 4-6 encounters and 1-3 breaks per day, so anywhere between 3-3, and 2-2-2
generally DMs/players plan on the later fights in the day being stronger, so the theoretical breakdown "should" be 3-2-1-DAY
ask in the new bread though, im sure people other than me have opinions
>>
>>48634694
I think 6-8 is a lot, but there are big problems balance-wise with ~1-3 since long rest powers, like spells, become much more powerful. Hell, Rage is balanced around being used about every second/third encounter until you get really high level, and to be really questionable to use if it ends unwillingly mid-fight. I think something like 4-5 fights is nice, 2 during the day and 2 during the night for example (8 hours travelling is max to not get exhausted, and the duration of a long rest, so split those in two and it's done). A dungeon doesn't seem like it would change much except give power to the players to choose when to stop for the day, though you can still do random encounters/wandering monsters if you feel like they're resting early and you can still push them.

Since there are bound to be safer areas to travel, like through/around cities etc., 3-5 encounters including planned ones becomes the norm for my days, long rest powers are still a bit too good so I'm trying out short rest powers becoming encounter powers but I can't comment much on the balance of that.
>>
Should my Tempest Theurge take Elemental Adept (Lightning) or Ritual Caster (Cleric) as my Human Feat?
>>
>>48634763
Not terribly much is resistant to lightning, and you get an average of .5 increased damage per die on those lightning spells (thunder and lightning are seperate too, keep in mind). I don't know what you'd want to ritual cast from cleric.
Tbh, I'd be more inclined for other feats. Warcaster, lucky, alert or resilient.
>>
>>48634763
i only really skimmed the ua, but my initial thought was "neither". im backing up >>48634812, neither of them are really going to help you. tempest gets surprisingly few actually different lightning sources, and ritual is poop.
id go with resilient based on your stats, and just something else otherwise
>>
>>48632978
your party sounds fun. I want a m'roo in my party
>>
>>48634732
>>48634760
>>48634732
>>48634760
Yeah. This is kind of an issue actually.

The game seem to assumed that during a 'standard encounter' the party will either have used the more powerful spells in the last encounter or savimg them for the next one.

That works in fine in a dungeon crawler where you can easily restrict player rest options. But It gets tricky outside of that. Mechanically it's paced for constant battles and traps but the story won't necessarily go that direction.

I don't know, i've got half a mind to simply have the players start the game with half health and spells outside a dungeon.
>>
>>48635112
You can do a lot of random encounters, or else you can also scale things down a bit - go through maybe half a day per session, combat usually takes less than a minute and roleplaying doesn't take that much longer, an encounter happening every 4 hours of the day doesn't seem that far fetched actually. Also, if you want fewer encounters per day but the same balance, use the longer rest variant rule, so short rests are a night and long rests are a week of downtime.
>>
>>48635112
well i think part of the logic is, the harder (and earlier) you make some challanges, the earlier in the day the party rests.
theres a point every player starts to wise up and not save every single spell for a rainy day, but the thing is, its easy just to fall into the "jrpg" trap
"oh boy, this fuckin boss fight seconds after we woke up sure is hard, but it IS only 6am, i better save my megapotions for later in the day"
only difference is, you dont get more "megapotions" the next day, you they never stack
>>
>>48635139
Well the big difference I find between five and forth is that different classes don't necessarily use up abilities at the same rate. Monk for example regain Ki points a lot quicker compare to say wizards and take half the time to do a short rest.

This means keeping a consistent pace going is rather. One player might be ready to collect a really One player might be ready to call it a day while the other is only just getting started..
>>
>>48624261
>>>48634694
>I think 6-8 is a lot, but there are big problems balance-wise with ~1-3 since long rest powers, like spells, become much more powerful.

That's pretty much the entire reason my DM switched to the extended long rest rules.

Doesn't affect the game much, but it means we do a few proper fights a week, which feels more realistic in a non-dungeon crawl, to me. It also means we don't have a pile of mook fights every 3 feet inside the castle.
>>
>>48631672
Enlightened Aid might be too powerful. As I'm reading it, Shield is now 5+INT to AC, and Mage Armor is 13 + DEX + INT?
Thread posts: 362
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.