[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 348
Thread images: 41

File: S67pk0N - Imgur.png (1MB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
S67pk0N - Imgur.png
1MB, 744x1039px
Alt artwork of Thalia edition

Previous thread: >>48592154

RESOURCES:
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
http://www.mtgcommander.net
>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
http://www.tappedout.net
>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh
>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
http://www.edhrec.com/
>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
http://manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING:
>Official search site. Current for all sets.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/
>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
http://www.magiccards.info
>>
>>48600902
Legendary Creature - Humaler?
>>
File: 378524.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
378524.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
Has anyone else ever tried a deck with him?

I rarely get to play, so I have only one game of playtesting.
>>
first for pls don't bully my value engine frog
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/might-of-the-triggers-1/

I'd really appreciate feedback and opinions on this deck guys, it's pretty unbelievably fun in casual EDH when things go even a bit right but it's only ever seen by the same people in my play group.

>2400 views
>6 comments
>JUST
>>
File: 3342314.jpg (37KB, 544x483px) Image search: [Google]
3342314.jpg
37KB, 544x483px
ProxyGuy, let's talk business
mtgtganon // [email protected]
>>
Saffi is the cutest. She also appeals to my general with cmc three or less fetish.

Anyone here ever try her? I'm not looking for suggestions as there's a lot out there already, just if the deck was actually fun to play, with or against.

Is the infinite loop with Sun Titan all there is to most of those decks? I'm not much of an infinite conbo guy.
>>
>>48600929
He's mean! You drew 8 cards last turn!
>>
>>48600952
You get comments? I think out of the twenty decks I've posted, I have one comment.
>>
>>48600984
>http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/might-of-the-triggers-1/
You have to drop a hint that you are a gril
>>
>>48600929
Ill bully anyone filling their graveyard and playing lands.
>>
>>48600961
Sun Titan, Karmic Guide, Reveillark, Angel of Glory's Rise, the list goes on forever. Also you get Living Plane/Nature's Revolt/Kamahl+Elesh Norn. She's super combo-centric, one look at her ability makes that painfully clear. If you like cute GW generals <3 CMC, maybe Selvala? I know she isn't as cute as Saffi, but she isn't usually combo.
>>
>>48600924
noncreature spells cost one moo to cast
>>
>tfw at a complete loss for what to build next
Fuck, man. I just like planning and building too much. So many play styles, so little time
>>
Some more proxies.
>>
>>48601057
What do you have I can make some suggestions.
>>
>>48601036
Fair. I actually had a Selvala deck before, it was fun and cute as hell (open information.dec, as I called it). I am pretty sure I won a grand total of one game with it over her surprisingly long career. I ended up having to butcher her to build Dromoka (mainly for lands).

I'll try her again, I feel. I just need a better mechanical theme. Fertile Imagination and whatnot is a lot of fun, but there's only so many cards like that.
>>
>>48600902
If you're going to continue to make the OP, please refrain from using atls or proxies. It just causes way too much sperging, it's honestly not worth it.

>>48600925
I built him and I have a friend who built him, so I've both played and played against it. He's a medium power commander. Your gameplan needs to be more than just milling people out, though there are some neat things you can do like pixis of pandemonium or windfall + sphinx tutelage + consecrated sphinx. What does your deck look like anon?
>>
>>48601057
>>48601068
said, I'd love to give you some suggestions. I'm a stompy aggro player who just ventured into weird blinky infinite combos, so I tend to have a pretty balanced outlook on things.
>>
>>48601102
It looks like this:

https://deckbox.org/sets/776132
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-08-16-phenax-edh/
>>
>>48601068
>crucible of worlds
10/10. I normally hate extended boarder bullshit, but that's pretty snazzy. It would be better with a boarder, but that's okay, do your think anon.

Could you slowly make me an alt? I can send you some foil cards, I have about 2k from eternal masters/modern masters that aren't worth anything. I can even send you a foil copy of the cards that I would like an alter for, but that might be overkill.
>>
>>48601134
i'm not the /tg/proxyguy anon i just started making proxies 2 days ago. still not very confident in my skills
>>
>>48601068
I can't quite grasp why anyone would give a shit about Fullart Fetches. They're not typically going to stick around and be admired.
>>
>>48601164
i play a landfall deck i bounce them around and keep them in play for other purposes
>>
>>48601156
You should make a Craterhoof, that bugger is $25 or more for a decent copy anywhere
>>
>>48601183
for now i'm only doing the cards im missing for my EDH deck after im done experimenting with those i might do some other just to sell to pay for the decal paper and printer toners
>>
>>48601129
That`s a spicy deck, you`ll have very little problem against any casual decks, but you don't have a lot of recusion so board wipes of your key cards might be a problem. I have a couple of suggestions for you, but you might know better than I do
>no consecrated sphinx
>I don't really get what Ludvig's Test Subject does
>you could probably run a Kuldotha Forgemaster and Blightsteel with all those artifacts, if you wanted to go have an alt wincon
>I like Sphinx's Tutelage better than mindgrind, but that's personal preference, pairs really well with a trepanation blade and a windfall
>King Macar was built for Phenax
>>
>>48601212
I will check those out thanks, I only played really during RTR/theros block so that is the list of cards I know, aside from what I googled.
>>
>>48601212
Oh one more thing
>urborg but no filth
>>
>>48601228
My favorite syngergy in this deck probably has to be with eater of the dead
>>
>>48601225
>>48601259
I did see some interesting choices, you have some good flavor in there, and your land suite is on point. Eater of the Dead fits your theme perfectly, I actually want to pick one of those guys up. Wall of Limbs fits the kind of flavor I like perfectly, I'm going to put one in my Ayli deck. All in all very well done, don't sweat it too much.
>>
File: 1467669248244.jpg (1MB, 1344x909px) Image search: [Google]
1467669248244.jpg
1MB, 1344x909px
>>48601069
I currently have and have had these. I was eyeing Sydri and Alesha but I feel like they'd be similar to what I already have

Maybe something with green. I never build with green.
>>
File: Hope you brought fog.jpg (33KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Hope you brought fog.jpg
33KB, 223x310px
Suggestions for Mono Green stompy that only aims to beat people to death? I'm talking

>Giant Adephage
>Kalonian Behemoth
>Engulfing Slagwurm
>Craterhoof
>Primalcrux
>Avenger of Zendikar
>Soul of the Harvest
>Rampaging Baloths
>Mossbridge Troll

Probably with Nylea at the helm. I was looking through my cards and realized I have a ton of green fatties and some goodstuff (Primeval Bounty, Vernal Bloom, Genesis Wave, ect.) so I just want to BEAT PEOPLE TO DEATH WITH HUGE CREATURES
>>
>>48601326
Thunderfoot Baloth
Siege Behemoth
>>
>>48601326
Another anon after my own heart. Who's your commander? May I humbly suggest xenagos, because he seems like exactly what you're looking for? If you don't want to run him, go on a basic land ramp theme with like explosive veg and the like.
>>
>>48601068
That's a funny way to spell "counterfeit"
>>
File: 1464527233456.jpg (35KB, 389x500px) Image search: [Google]
1464527233456.jpg
35KB, 389x500px
>>48601397
Anon, don't start this shit. Yes, you're technically right, no, no one cares.
>>
>>48600925
I Prefer Lezav
>>
>>48601412
Hell, if I could get an artist to do a full art of my phenax commander I'd love it.

What's the big deal of having a proxy when I already own the card?

>>48601416
He is in the deck, with a few substitutions the deck can be switched. What I do is change out for a lot more equips on lazav.
>>
>>48601427
The big deal is it becomes a degenerate shitstorm where people bitch about proxies. I don't care strongly one way or the other, I just don't want to listen to people bitch.
>>
>>48601355
Xenagos does seem fun, but he seems like he'd be real easy to win with. Just throw Grafted Exoskeleton on something big in the air and go to town, and even if you didn't do it that was swinging once with a 32/12 Moonveil Dragon is fun but not as much fun as I liek to have.

The Nylea deck has some decent ramp to it, I'd made an Azusa ramp deck before so I remember how to pilot mono green but it was more of a control deck. The card draw is actually pretty nuts for mono green Nylea, Good ol' Colossus of Akros + Soul's Majesty or Garruk, Primal Hunter never lets me down.

Rampaging Baloths/Primeval Bounty plus Elemental Bond or Garruk's Packleader (or hopefully all 4) is value town
>>
So the Ruric Thar No Spells deck worked out pretty well- it needs a few tweaks, but I like the general direction of it.

I've got a few other projects lined up, so I'll take votes on which to do:

>GW Trostani, needs a rework to focus more on varied big-ass tokens
>UB Vela Unblockable Tribal
>Ghave Saproling/Fungus/I Swear Not Combo Tribal
>UW Ojutai Winter.dec
>>
File: Image.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
>>48601416
>>48601427
>>48600925
I prefer Oona
>>
What are some quintessential cards for a Gwafa Hazid deck?
>>
>>48601397
Counterfeit implies you're trying to pass it off as the genuine article. Nobody is going to look at those and believe they're the proper card.
>>
>>48601490
You'd be surprised. WotC cracked down HARD on people that were manufacturing these "proxies", even the ones who were clearly saying "These are not to be confused with real cards and are not tournament legal" while selling them.
>>
File: 0422.png (210KB, 599x457px) Image search: [Google]
0422.png
210KB, 599x457px
>>48601461
>Went to the mall last week
>New game shop opened in it
>Look at the singles selection
>some neckbeard behind the counter starts talking to me asking me what I play
>Say mostly EDH
>Asks what commanders I run
>Tell him Volrath, Korlash and Kira
>He responds "That's cool. I usually play Oona, nothing too bad"
>mfw
>>
>>48601463
Willbreaker, Bribery, Dismiss Into Dream.
>>
>>48601294
>all that mono-color
Jesus dude. You DO need to branch out.

Build hatebears. Sisay or Gaddock Teeg
>>
>>48601511
Anafenza is the best hatebear commander.
>>
>>48601498
I'm not sure what you're implying.

Bad because you feel that Oona sucks or bad because Oona is actually really damn annoying to deal with on occasion?
>>
>>48601498
>>48601294
>so much monocolor
I thought this level of self-harm got you committed to an institution.
>>
>>48601463
Azor's Elocutors for that flavor

Spirit of the Labyrinth to prevent people from drawing into answers
>>
>>48601523
Probably the latter. I've never seen an Oona deck that wasn't just "infinite mana combo, Oona Cannon, I win".
>>
>>48601523
I meant that he thought Oona was a very casual commander. That's my fault really as I didn't convey that properly through text
>>
>>48601524
Listen, I couldn't decide between Volrath or Korlash so I just made them each a deck. they're both different enough to make it ok in my opinion.
>>
>>48601524
To be fair monocolor is the most fun to build. There's a lot of restrictions (either your color doesn't have ramp, card draw, or removal) and finding roundabout ways of dealing with it is a lot of fun.

I rock three monocolor decks (Ixidor, Lin Sivvi, and Phage) and they're all a lot of fun.
>>
I've lately been on a monocolor kick. It is relaxing. I usually recognize my deck is shit and then can just sort of coast through a game.

And lately I've been having problems finding and buying the usual set of lands for two or three color, soooo...
>>
>>48601524
I'm sorry ;__;

My meta is not competitive at all so I can do well with janky bad bullshit

>>48601520
Why, because of access to black?

>>48601511
Gaddock looks pretty groovy. My group isn't big on noncreature spells though
>>
File: static1.squarespace.jpg (444KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
static1.squarespace.jpg
444KB, 750x750px
http://magic.wizards.com/en/story/planeswalkers/kaya-ghost-assassin

WE
>>
>>48601294
Build Alesha. Win in a blazing fire of glory. Easy to cast, easy to build (Since she's a toolbox), and hits the ground running. she doesn't have much overlap with what you've got going on.
>>
>>48601547
Personally I feel the opposite. Restrictions build creativity, but monocolor is less "restriction" and more "shooting yourself in the knees before a race".
>>
File: 465347657_1280x720.jpg (172KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
465347657_1280x720.jpg
172KB, 1280x720px
>>48601534
>>48601535
Ah yeah, as someone who runs Oona I can understand that. Obviously she's much more devastating against monocolor decks

>go to local card shop to play
>guy challenges me with a monocolor Demon Tribal with Ob Nixilis as his commander
He plays decent into madness and I don't have any removal for it on hand
>set up my Phyrexian and Ashnod alter with only 3 lands to spare
>begin the milling
>mill his entire deck
>"pass turn," I say
>he continues to play anywya
>tell him he lost when he was unable to draw cards

He got frustrated and ended up looking up those rules on his phone.
>
>>
>>48601294
Vorel is a nice green deck to build lets you do all sorts of crazy counter shenanigans he can generate infinite combos in about 12 different ways which is always fun and hard combo seems to be something you don't play around with too much.
>>
>>48601561
For Anafenza, yeah pretty much, and having a graveyard hoser on a commander is so potent. Some decks can't be your commander alone and it's hilarious. You get access to premium removal (Vindicate, Anguished Unmaking, Utter End, Putrefy, Mortify), recursion (Karador, Meren, both Living Death and Exhume are busted with Anafenza), and tutors (Demonic Tutor mostly).

Also Ob Nixilis Unshackled is the most hilarious hatebear.

Here's my deck (list is a little outdated): http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/anafenza-the-hatemost-1/
>>
>>48601562
gross
>>
>>48601453
>UB Vela Unblockable Tribal
My brother built that deck. It's not good.
>>
>>48601588
I just like how monocolor commanders are especially unique in their effects. Two colors is perfect I think, it has enough restriction to be creative but enough versatility that you're not gimping yourself. Still, monocolor has some of the most interesting commanders, I just wouldn't advise building "mono-X goodstuff" because that deck will never be as good as a two or three-color goodstuff deck.

Three colors often blurs into this mushy goodstuff mess that's just a bunch of staples in those colors and some synergies.
>>
>>48601634
I doubt it will be. I don't build good decks. Did you not see that I'm building WINTER TRIBAL and comboless Ghave?
>>
>>48601643
I don't know if you have a very focused commander (sharuum or something similar) you can have a lot of synergy but then again your deck will be mostly artifacts.
>>
>>48601643
Yeah, I feel that. My first deck was 3 colors and it just ended up being a thousand dollar pile of all my best cards with zero synergy. Since then I've taken to forcing myself to follow a theme of some kind to avoid that.
>>
>>48601607
would be interesting if they allowed people to keep playing after all cards were gone in their library. Would take some pretty good tactics to still win
>>
>>48601657
Oh yeah, it's you. I want to see that winter deck. I considered doing the same thing.
>>
File: 1464143287084.jpg (76KB, 455x810px) Image search: [Google]
1464143287084.jpg
76KB, 455x810px
>>48601674
A "Final Stand," type mechanic would probably be interesting, yes.
>>
>>48601674
The rule was created with the idea that, well, what happens if both players failed to fucking do anything?

Mill wasn't a thing at that point.
>>
>>48601294
Post Zirilan.
>>
>>48601684
It's... not great. I'm having to reach pretty far to fit the theme, and I haven't tested it yet.
>>
>>48601657
>comboless Ghave
You're going to be really mad when you accidentally combo off.
>>
>>48601674
Not necessarily, considering the only time it really comes up is with combo decks. It's very rare that someone just decks out naturally, and when they do they usually have enough board state that if it didn't kill them they could still win.
>>
>>48601711
How do you 'accidentally' combo off with Ghave? I'm aware that it's possible to 'accidentally' put combo pieces onto the board, but I still have to USE them.
>>
>>48601660
I mean the decks have synergy and whatnot but I just find it to be very goodstuff. Like "synergy" in the way Mulldrifter and Deadeye Navigator is "synergy." Like combined they're very good. Most of them end up being combo decks and having all three color combos get Commander products doesn't help either (since most of those commanders up being inherent broken and combo centric).

Of course this is all personally preference and I have won plenty of games with my monocolor decks so I'm okay with it.
>>
>>48601725
That's what I meant. If you have cards that work with +1/+1 counters, you'll combo off, and if you don't, why Ghave?
>>
>>48601725
If you put all the combo pieces on the board and don't use them, as an opponent I'd feel pretty damn coddled. Not the guy you're responding to though. It's just my opinion.
>>
>>48601326
Great Oak Guardian
Pathbreaker Ibex
Terravore
>>
>>48601750
I don't think you understand what 'combo' means. I mean that I don't want to put in shit like Ashnod's Altar and go "So, tap Forest, remove a counter to make 2 Saprolings because Doubling Season, sac one of them for 2 mana, use 1 of that mana to sac the other to put 2 counters on Ghave, repeat infinitely".

>>48601757
I won't put infinite combo pieces in.
>>
>>48601757
At that point it's almost just disrespectful. Like "Oh I can win but I'm just gonna toy with you guys instead of going to the next game."

I mean if your combo is disrupted by spot removal or something and you're playing around it, that's fine, but if you know you can win, just win.
>>
>>48601732
Man, back when I was building my first real deck, I built Bant Soulbond.dec. When I discovered Deadeye and Mulldrifter or Deadeye and Draining Whelk, I felt like the most clever mother fucker ever.

Oops.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hungry-hungry-prossh-os/

Shilling again since I didn't really get any feedback last thread. Constructive criticism, etc is welcome!
>>
>>48601776
I'm NOT going to put the combo pieces in for that exact reason.
>>
>>48601818
No but I think that's what the original responder was talking about, that it's almost incidental to find an infinite combo with Ghave.
>>
>>48601840
Not if you intentionally leave out Ashnod's Altar.
>>
File: 1468615130084.png (461KB, 870x722px) Image search: [Google]
1468615130084.png
461KB, 870x722px
>>48601801
Just posting your deck won't get you feedback. Ask a specific question about it. 'Do I have enough removal? What can I use against Derevi? I'm not sure about this creature...'
Without a prompt, it's just somebody's Prossh deck. Why would someone want to look at it without a question to answer?
>>
>>48601697
Here

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dragon-linebacker-corps/

It's bad
>>
File: my decks.png (1MB, 1370x775px) Image search: [Google]
my decks.png
1MB, 1370x775px
Rate my decks and tell me what they say about me (other than that I am a disgusting blue mage.)
>>
>>48601883
>Wizard tribal
>More counterspells than wizards
Sounds about right. Fuckin' wizards, man.
>>
>>48601882
Cheers, mate! I pulled a Mirrorwing Dragon and I wanna pop it with Seize the Day for more dragon facefucking.
>>
>>48601858
Well I did ask for criticism.
If I need to be specific, things like: Is the mana base fine? Creature lineup good? Anything stand out as good/horrible? Any obvious cards I somehow missed? etc
>>
>>48601686
I don't know why you uploaded this but thanks for making me laugh
>>
>>48601941
I need a Quicksilver Amulet but I'm happy with the deck so far. Dropping out a Scourge after you've gotten Utvara Hellkite and a couple others to stick is a magnificent way to end a game
>>
File: 1470177051769.png (325KB, 553x449px) Image search: [Google]
1470177051769.png
325KB, 553x449px
>muh graveyard is sacred

I need to find a new group
>>
File: grip-of-amnesia.jpg (137KB, 464x664px) Image search: [Google]
grip-of-amnesia.jpg
137KB, 464x664px
>>48602053
anon might I suggest pic related
>>
>>48602053
Nothing like making people upset because you have 4-5 maindeck graveyard hate cards. I just love the tears from all the Meren players
>>
>>48601497
Holy shit, a money-grubbing company cracked down like the SS on people who tried to circumvent the price-gouging secondary market and beat them at their own Jewy game?

STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES!!!
>>
>>48602126
So somehow the 'price gouging secondary market' is the fault of Wizards? Do you honestly think they tell Starcity how much to charge for Nahiris?

Starcity charges what people are willing to pay.
>>
File: dancing.gif (657KB, 371x209px) Image search: [Google]
dancing.gif
657KB, 371x209px
>>48602053
if my group complains about some shit I keep doing it until they learn to adapt. They always hate it at first but in the end they usually end up thanking me for teaching them how to counter or get past certain play styles.

Your graveyard is not your safespace, nothing in magic is.
>>
>>48602053
Daretti is one of my favorite commanders simply because he allows me to bring back tormods crypt.

Endless tears.
>>
>>48602138
People would pay less if there were more to go around. Supply and demand; basic economics, anon.
>>
>>48602139
Exile is my safe space, once it gets there there is nothing more you can do to it.
>>
>>48602230
>that one faggot who loops Riftsweeper with Eternal Witness

I started running praetor's grasp to get his riftsweeper
>>
>>48602156
>Blow out Meren from Tormod's Crypt
>he gets super mad because all his shit is gone and his huge Lord of Extinction is ded
>loop Memory Jar 4 times, use Mirrorworks to get tokens for another 4 and fill up everyone's yard
>get Crypt back and blow out Meren again
>ended up decking Meren from Memory Jar
That was a fun game
>>
>>48602126
No. They protected their copyright. Even if you blatantly say they're fake, you're still selling a facsimile of a thing that's protected by patents and trademark. Now if they were giving them away for free while making it exceedingly clear they are not real copies, than that's a little less legally clear cut.
>>
>>48602230
>there is nothing more you can do to it
Eldrazi Processors say hello
>>
File: 1938_200w.jpg (28KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
1938_200w.jpg
28KB, 200x285px
Is pic related worth keeping for various EDH decks or should I trade it/Puca it?
>>
>>48602230
I actually run Riftsweeper specifically to fuck shit like that up.
>>
>>48602311
Yes. Strip Mine + Crucible of Worlds is a delightful way to let everyone know you hate them. Bonus points if you run cards that let you play extra lands a turn.
>>
>>48602292
F-Fuck you!
>>
>>48602303
Congrats you just put it in my graveyard where I can easily recur it, what are you going to do next exile it again?
>>
>>48602311
Absolutely, especially if you plan to use it like a Wasteland and only really hit high-value shit.
>>
>>48602351
Well if it's Jhoira you're a little borked
>>
>>48602292
His Lord of Extinction didn't die, it counts ALL graveyards, and at the very least yours had a Crypt in it.
>>
>>48602298
Good Goy! Now remind them that even though we're never going to reprint some things, if people want to use them in unsanctioned private home games, they need to pay the shekels!
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-08-16-surrak-edh/
Help me with my Surrak deck, guys. Do I have enough sorceries or should I cut back in some other area? Also, how is my mana base looking? Is my creature count ok or should I bump it up a little? And lastly, any recommended cards that I should include in my deck?
>>
tell me your favorite color/color combos /edh/. For me it's:
1 Color: Green
2 Color: Gruul
3 Color: Temur
>>
File: 1407936352999.jpg (99KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1407936352999.jpg
99KB, 600x450px
>>48602418
>unsanctioned
SHUT IT DOWN
>>
>>48602443
1 Color: Blue
2 Color: Izzet (though dimir is a close second)
3 Color: Esper
>>
>>48602364
Fuck you're right, holy shit my entire group is illiterate and retarded

Still decked him from 8 activations of Memory Jar
>>
>>48602355
I was thinking I could destroy a friend's elven mana ramp by killing his Nykthos with it but I don't know if I have the cards to build around it.

>>48602331
>Crucible of Worlds
>$35 for a damaged one
>$50 for an LP
Holy shit.
>>
>>48602443
>Red
>Red
>Red
>>
>>48602443
1 Color: Green
2 Color: Red Black
3 Color: Bant
>>
File: c4rd4r7_MEwVHRZSxo.jpg (330KB, 750x450px) Image search: [Google]
c4rd4r7_MEwVHRZSxo.jpg
330KB, 750x450px
This guy better be a legendary because I totally wanna run this smug looking fuck
>>
>>48602553
>and Brad Pitt as Sun Quan
>>
>>48602568
>brad pitt

Fuck i cannot unsee it now
>>
Loaded question: What're fun things to do with Izzet? I'm browsing for deck ideas.
>>
>>48602595
Chaos
>>
>>48602443
Green
Selesnya
Bant
>>
>>48601562
>>48601623
whats the problem?
>>
>>48602502
Dude, you don't need to "build around" it. It's worth just slotting in for value.
>>
>>48602612
Given that this is 4chan, my guess is that she's a black woman.
>>
>>48602644
OOGA BOOGA WE WUZ ROYALTY AND SHIET
>>
>>48602644
That or she's a woman who has some level of agency and sass, which makes her "MUH STRONG WOMYN SJW" pandering.
>>
>>48602644
That's just stupid... Surely it's something else?
>>
File: 1455760574812.jpg (81KB, 352x515px) Image search: [Google]
1455760574812.jpg
81KB, 352x515px
>>48600929
>tfw I run Relic of Progenitus in all of my decks

>tfw I run Rest in Peace with counter backup
>tfw I run Scavenging Ooze with tons of mana accel to fuck over gy decks

>tfw I'm the only person in my groups that actually has graveyard hate so I actually have to run multiple pieces to make up for this
>>
>>48602710
I feel like "utilize the graveyard" is common enough that every single deck should run at least a Relic of Progenitus or similar.
>>
>>48602692
>implying that's why people hate her
>>48602708
It's """""diversity""""" pandering
>>
>>48602760
>any time a protagonist is not a cishet white male it's pandering because I can't identify with them
Black people play Magic. So do women. So do black women. Giving them a character to identify with is not 'pandering'. It's pandering when you start jamming in all sorts of outlandish bullshit to appeal to as many niches as you can. It's not pandering when you're talking about there being the occasional black female or trans person in stories that span literal thousands of realities.
>>
>>48602788
>putting trans people in MtG isn't pandering
>>>>/reddit/
The amount of people that play MtG that are black or woymn is insignificant. She's just black because she can be and you fucking retards just think that /tg/ hates her because it's somehow "threatening" to the normal people of society. Get a fucking grip.
>>
>>48602844
>She's just black because she can be
I mean... yeah. Jace is a white dude because he 'can be' not because it's the default setting of humans everywhere. The "only reason" a character is a certain age or gender or ethnicity or whatever is because that's what the author decided.

Why is it only pandering when they decide the character doesn't look like you?
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dreadful-dredge/

What do you guys think?
>>
File: 1468208781138.png (17KB, 570x533px) Image search: [Google]
1468208781138.png
17KB, 570x533px
>>48602851
>not because it's the default setting of humans everywhere.
Are you sure about that?
>Why is it only pandering when they decide the character doesn't look like you?
Nice projections. I'm not even white.
>>
>>48602881
Looks fun. I used to play a similar deck. I would recommend Soul of Innistrad
>>
>that feel when I've developed a super flavorful wincon in brago
Any spicy Prodigal Sorcerer tech outside of the obvious strionic resonator nonsense?

Also, what are some interesting things I can do with spellskite?
>>
>>48602430
Fishing for replies
>>
>>48602908
Pretty sure, considering slightly more than half the people on this planet are women, and there's more Asians and Blacks than Whites.
>>
>>48602443
Red
Golgari
Jund
>>
File: cardart_brdk86987g.jpg (117KB, 700x450px) Image search: [Google]
cardart_brdk86987g.jpg
117KB, 700x450px
>Mono
Red
>Dual
Golgari or Orzhov
>Tri
ABZAN
B
Z
A
N
>>
>>48602939
I'm fine with having Asians in MtG (hell, I loved Kamigawa's flavor) but if you think having black walkers isn't pandering to the >WE WUZ KANGS N SHIET
ooga boogas then you are fucking retarded.
>>
>>48602443
1: Black
2: Gruul, B/W in close second
3: Temur, Jund if I could ever find a playable commander where I live.
>>
>>48602969

Haha, in the thumbnail I thought they were all giving thumbs ups.
>>
>>48602985
>Teferi is pandering
>>
>>48602985
Who cares I want more beastmen walkers

Also, return to Kamigawa when, I just have a feeling that if they go back they'll not do the amount of legwork for the lore as they did back then, but keep the gameplay better
>>
>>48602991
>find a playable commander where I live
Just order them online senpai
>>
File: Image (1).jpg (35KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).jpg
35KB, 223x310px
Has anyone had success with building Radha before? Whenever I put anything together it ends up looking more like an elf deck splashing red with no way to use her attack trigger. Should I just go full equipment voltron or is there an actual build with flash creatures and activated abilities? All that edh rec has is werewolves which doesn't seem great.
>>
>>48602911
Maybe, I also should add a crucible of worlds, but fuck they are expensive!

>>48603013
Same, more non-humans!
>>
>>48603013
Beastmen don't get printed because people can't relate to them as well as humans and a number of people from wizards have said that return to kamigawa will pretty much never happen.
>>
>>48603013
Return to Kamigawa will never happen, even if Wizards knows the weebs will buy the fuck out of it. They moreso want to continue the Eldrazi storyline I think, though Tamiyo does give some opportunities for it to happen. A man can dream mainly because Asuza is my waifu
>>
>>48603015
Yadda yadda yadda autism, yadda yadda yadda fake Jin from starcity.

I may get a friend to do it for me, if tanglewire and winter orb had left any
>>
>>48603059
>More Eldrazi
Please no. I just want them to fuck up the Phyrexians already. Then it'll be over and done with, and I won't have any investment in any more villains.
>>
>>48601857
You'd be surprised. And if you succeed, you'll be amazed at how shitty the deck is. As much as I love your theme decks, you should probably give up on this one.
>>
>>48603059
I want more Kami in general, they have some of the best art, despite people's complaining.

Even if they did return, with the recent Eldrazi and Jacetice League, I know they'd fuck up the plot even if the cards aren't really inclusive again. It's the same reason I worry about Phyrexia returning, they'll kill my Elesh Norn the cunts.
>>
File: 1235125SP00KY4234325.gif (871KB, 350x196px) Image search: [Google]
1235125SP00KY4234325.gif
871KB, 350x196px
Do you think they will ever release a set again in Dominaria/Otaria ?
>>
How's Glissa the Traitor fare nowadays?
>>
>>48603130
That new Cabal Ritual art tells me yes, at least eventually.
>>
>>48602985
There's been black characters since day fucking one of magic; stop believing in memes.
>>
>>48602985
>positively portraying any black people is pandering
>>
>>48602443
Black
Orzhov
Abzan
>>
>>48603013
I feel like they may be teasing it with Tamiyo getting more spotlight

>>48603062
Bull-fucking-shit you bought a fake from Starcity.
>>
>>48603059
>azusa is my waifu
Have you seen the new art? It's fantastic.
>>
>>48603440
>Murderer for hire
>Positive
Maybe in South Africa
>>
>>48603471
It's not murder if you kill a ghost. Ghosts aren't people.
>>
>>48603319
Besides Teferi there have been no black walkers.
>>48603440
Except it is.
>>
>>48603482
Please, explain how choosing to acknowledge that there are people other than greasy 15 year old white boys that play your game is "pandering".
>>
>>48603468
She's fucking great. I can't decide which one I like more (maybe the old art since I like her dancing pose in it)
>>
>>48603497
Because (((diversity))) is an sjw neo-liberal meme.
>>
>>48603033
Use rootwallas and firebreathing. Things like Citanul Flute work well too. Any mana sink.
>>
>>48603502
I like the pose more but she's got a weird face in the old art.

Also I own zero of the old art and three of the new art
>>
>>48603468
>Have you seen the new art?
No, link/show me?
>>
>>48603513
No it's expanding your market to have the most profitable base. Diversity opens new revenue streams. Stop acting like companies haven't done this for fucking decades.
>>
File: 1.jpg (176KB, 2040x1386px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
176KB, 2040x1386px
>>48601562
>A black female Ghostbuster
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (18KB, 212x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
18KB, 212x300px
>>48603540
>>
>>48603541
Instead of making Magic more "accessible" to normies and tumblrites, Wizards should be focusing on its devoted fanbase. Making things more accessible has always led to disaster.
>>
>>48603558
>no cleavage
>>
>>48603541
But didn't you hear? Any attempt to engage or acknowledge a target audience other than cisgender heterosexual white dudes from 18-25 is just pandering at best and reverse racism or misandry at worst!
>>
>>48603521
I can see that.
Fuck you I can't even afford one copy of the old art
>>
File: azusa-820x576.png (891KB, 820x576px) Image search: [Google]
azusa-820x576.png
891KB, 820x576px
>>48603540
>>48603558
And here's the full art.
>>
>>48603573
>>>>/reddit/
>>
>>48603565
So exactly how does "focusing on its devoted fanbase" make them more money? If they make more "Tch, nothing personnel... kid" fedoracore planeswalkers like the original version of Jace, are you going to start buying more cards? Are you going to buy enough to make up for all the people that get alienated by all the female characters being fat-titted blowup dolls with no character beyond "wants the dick of the audience insert character"?

Do you honestly think that focusing on a "devoted fanbase" is going to be more profitable OR healthy for the game long-term than trying to make it as accessible as possible?

Or are you really just that fucking scared of "normies" coming into your super secret club?
>>
>>48603565
Honestly I don't give a shit what the people look like, I just wish we could get away from Creatures: the Tappening.
>>
>>48603576
Who said I bought them?
>>
>>48601068
What the fuck is that crucible of worlds.
That's just extended extended picture and even in a bad, zoomed in way.
>>
>>48603597
Normies ruin everything. Just look at video games, books, or movies. If you think otherwise you are literally a normie.
>>
>>48603638
Define "normie". I'd bet it goes something like "someone who likes something I don't like".
>>
>>48603652
I'm pretty sure someone could give a better example but a normie is someone that doesn't have any real interests or hobbies and only does things because they are popular or because their friends are into it, not because they truly enjoy it.
>>
>>48602443
1 esper
2 bant
3 dimir
>>
>>48603652
On here at least it usually means something along the lines of someone who likes something that I liked before they did. Extra normie points if they are a socially adjusted person who actually has friends.
>>
File: 302.jpg (60KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
302.jpg
60KB, 312x445px
>>48603130
>Time Spiral 2.0: Planewarped
>Nicol Bolas fuckery
>Off-color PWs (Black Jace, Green Chandra, etc)
>Reprints and shifted Legends to make them more viable in Commander
>An actual Urza planeswalker card
>Support for older keywords like Infect and Cycling

yes pls
>Contraptions
>>
>>48602553
i owe him 100 sperge scalps. doing it if its the case.
>>
>>48603715
>Time fuckery happens
>Ends up somehow bringing Urza and Old Phyrexia back
>>
>>48603707
I have friends but I'm not a normie. I just don't give a fuck if what I do is socially accepted or not. A normie is an extrovert that can only have fun with their friends.
>>
>>48601427
>>48601416
Lazav is worse than Phenax because he's dependant on stuff hitting graveyard, your opponents having good creatures and he doesn't have real combos inherently like Eater of the Dead for example. I think he's more fun to play than Phenax though.
>>
>>48602443
>Red
>Izzet
>Grixis
>>
File: 2314325.png (925KB, 625x471px) Image search: [Google]
2314325.png
925KB, 625x471px
>>48603558
>>48603578
Holy fuck it's beautiful
>$80
I am mighty tempted to buy one despite the price
>>
File: 1447182736780.jpg (142KB, 842x813px) Image search: [Google]
1447182736780.jpg
142KB, 842x813px
>>48602443
1.White
2.Orzhov
3.Mardu
>>
>>48603715
>Time Spiral 2.0

Never going to happen.
They'll have to get approval to do it, and nobody is going to greenlight a follow-up to a set that lost so many players that it was a major factor in creating NWO.
>>
File: 1469032891930.gif (190KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1469032891930.gif
190KB, 360x360px
>>48603715
>>An actual Urza PW card
Yes please
>>
>>48603687
And do you really think that Magic is "at risk" of being overrun by a bunch of people who are only passively into it, to the point that their non-spending on their non-hobby would warp the game's design to cater to them?
>>
>>48603707
Ah, so it's a hipster thing. As soon as something becomes in any way popular or mainstream, it's automatically garbage.

>>48603715
I LOVED Time Spiral, but they consider it a massive failure, to the point that it directly caused their current design environment of "New World Order".
>>
>>48602443
Blue
Simic
grixis/sultai
>>
>>48603887
It's already happening. It's not a risk, it's a fucking reality.
>>48603913
It's garbage because normies like it, not because it's popular.
>>
If you were a teacher who was unabashedly a nerd, what magic card would you put for shits and giggles on your class website on the homepage?

t. history teacher
>>
>>48603730
What's wrong with having fun with friends and not weirdos? Every time I sit down at a random EDH table, we get gross and cringey people.
>>
>>48603945
Earthbind
>>
>>48603932
So what has changed because of "normies" that's ruining the game?

In what universe does it make sense to do a complete 180 to try and appeal to a barely-invested demographic that hardly purchases your product, at the cost of your deeply-entrenched current fans?

Or are you actually saying that by having Planeswalkers and lore characters that aren't all white dudes, the game is being ruined by normies?
>>
>>48603969
If that's the card I'm thinking of, no, I don't think anyone is teaching a sex-ed class.
>>
>>48603945
Sarpadian Empires, Vol. VII
>>
>>48603945
Library of Alexandria
>>
>>48603964
Playing magic with your friends is fine. What's not fine is people getting into magic because they have no fucking intrest in it and are only doing it for the nerd points.
>>48603975
The simplification of mechanics and the increasing power levels of cards that appeal to normies.
>In what universe does it make sense to do a complete 180 to try and appeal to a barely-invested demographic that hardly purchases your product
This is common practice. Just look at the video game industry.
>>
>>48603945
Strip Mine.
>>
File: 43214234.jpg (59KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
43214234.jpg
59KB, 480x680px
>>48603945
>class website on the homepage
something something blue something something wizard something something teacher
>pic related
>>
>>48604012
You don't need to be a normie to want more shared hobbies. I spend more time talking about mtg than playing it. I do it as a social outlet. I am not normie for doing so though.
>>
File: 69[1].jpg (70KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
69[1].jpg
70KB, 312x445px
>>48603945
>>
File: 93[1].jpg (50KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
93[1].jpg
50KB, 312x445px
>>48603945
>>48604058
>>
>>48604033
You are though. You are a fucking normie if you are only doing something for the nerdie points and not because you actually like it.
>>
>>48604012
>What's not fine is people getting into magic because they have no fucking interest in it and are only doing it for the nerd points
And you really, honestly, truthfully believe that not only does this problem EXIST, but that these hordes of people are numerous enough and spend enough money on a game they don't even enjoy that it's warping design space? Dude, most of the "casually into Magic" people aren't buying many cards. Nobody's buying boxes on boxes and building Modern decks 'for the nerd points'. Nobody is going to put that amount of time and money into a hobby they don't have an interest in.

Are there some people who pick up a Duel Deck so they can "play Magic" with friends now and then? Prolly. Are there some players who own exactly 100 cards, all of which are a Commander precon they bought 'for the nerd points'? Maybe. Are those people numerous enough or profitable enough for WotC to be warping their design around this demographic?Not a fucking chance.

>The simplification of mechanics and the increasing power level of cards
Half of that is New World Order, which absolutely is a newer design practice intended to make the game more accessible on the ground floor to new players. It's also entirely leveled at the Common rarity, because that's the rarity that new players see the most of. There's still plenty of room for complexity on Rares/Mythics and in mechanics (I'd love to hear you tell me how Madness or Process or Delirium are "simplified mechanics").

The other half? What are you smoking? Yugioh is the game that injects stupid amounts of power creep into their cards to appeal to little kids. Magic takes very measured steps to keep the power creep from going out of control because it's bad for the long-term health of the game. Creatures have gotten better than in the past (compare Baneslayer Angel to new Avacyn), but spells have gotten weaker (compare Mana Drain to Cancel). That's not power creep, that's power shift, which is intentional.
>>
>>48604081
You are classifying "wanting to do something in order to meet people and have fun" as getting nerdie points. Look, I've been posting on here since work started. I've played 0 mtg in that time, but I still liked throwing suggestions and shooting the shit with you. Why? Because it gives us (complete strangers) something to talk about.

That is the exact same thing as what you are describing, the only difference being that I may actually meet those guys again.
>>
>>48604058
This is great but I would get in trouble for it. Too similar to my real students.
>>
>>48604081
At what point did he say that he doesn't like it? At what point did he say he's into Magic for all the sweet nerd pussy that it drags in?

I've been playing the game for 10 years. I own in excess of ten thousand cards, and I travel hundreds of miles for large events sometimes. I still spend more time talking about it than playing it because I can talk about it online with friends or on forums literally every single day, whereas I might only get to go out and play once or twice a week. I can have a thread like this up while I watch Netflix and eat dinner, or chat about my newest brew with a friend while we're out hanging at the park, or strike up a conversation about Magic for 20 minutes when I pop into the shop to buy sleeves on my way home.

I really don't understand what happened to you that you've invented this "normie" boogeyman, some slavering horde of people who only pretend to enjoy hobbies for "nerd points".
>>
>>48604081
No one does anything for fucking nerd points you autistic fucking sperg they do it to hang out with their friends, and not everyone has to be equally invested in every activity if you exercise, which I am assuming you do not, you probably aren't as invested as someone who trains for iron man races.
>>
>>48604111
>compare Baneslayer Angel to new Avacyn

That's not really an amazing example of power creep. For one, Avacyn is Legendary. Secondly, she's a 4/4 to Baneslayer's 5/5 and Lifelink is a pretty relevant ability. Avacyn also runs the risk of killing some of your own creatures when she transforms.
>>
>>48604231
I actually meant Serra Angel to Avacyn, but couldn't decide between Avacyn or Baneslayer, so I mistyped. Mea culpa.
>>
>>48604261
Sylvan advocate is also a very good example of creature power creep.
>>
>>48604276
Eh, I feel like Advocate is a weaker Tarmogoyf. It's still a great card, though, and pointing out that Collected Company (a card which can get you 6 mana worth of creatures for 4 mana) is a bonkers warping spell, when 4 mana used to end the game via Natural Order.
>>
>>48604276
Eh. I get he is ruining standard, but on the whole, I was under the impression that we had a huge power slump with Theros and we are on an upswing.

After all, Snappy was back in Innistrad.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lets-winfrog/

Is this guy correct; is it competitive? What is its wincon, anyway?
>>
>>48604310
Yeah but honestly I feel like tarmogoyf is as powerful as it is due to wizards overestimating how hard it is to get a variety of card types in the graveyard while advocate was designed to be as strong as it is.
>>48604320
Snapcaster is an entirely different kind of powerful creature though, it enables spells to work better I definitely agree that tarmogoyf is a better comparison.
>>
>>48604310
I think he's just saying because a 2/3 for 1G is already above curve compared to what you used to get for 1G, then they also put Vigilance and lategame power onto it. It's strictly better than a lot of older cards.
>>
>>48604081
>autism this advanced
As shown by ghostbusters, the alt-normie read: not sperg hates spending money on anything or will spend money irrationally for ten minutes then give up. I literally don't care because it's ungodly awkward to watch some Fedora-core neckbeard flirt with a girl while she plays magic when she is clearly there to play Magic and not flirt.

t. Ultra-sperg neckbeard with a nice haircut and magic playing girlfriend as a result of being polite and playing magic instead of making awkward puns.
>>
>>48604320
Theros was a slump, but what's really beating the shit out of Standard is CoCo, Reflector Mage, Sylvan Advocate, and Spell Queller.
>>
>>48602748
>I feel like "utilize the graveyard" is common enough that every single deck should run at least a Relic of Progenitus or similar.

Yup, and at the very least it cycles so it's never 100% worthless.

>Half of that is New World Order, which absolutely is a newer design practice intended to make the game more accessible on the ground floor to new players. It's also entirely leveled at the Common rarity, because that's the rarity that new players see the most of. There's still plenty of room for complexity on Rares/Mythics and in mechanics (I'd love to hear you tell me how Madness or Process or Delirium are "simplified mechanics").

The bigger issue with New World Order is that it ultimately makes the game less accessible in the long run. If complexity is limited at common, then it gets front-loaded into Uncommon (and even then, most into Rare). Thus, the cards that players need to be competitive end up being Rare or Mythic Rare instead of there being a spread of cards across rarities.

Commons have never had less use for players than now, I looked at recent standard decks and they're hugely rare or higher, with uncommons sprinkled in (and yes lands are common).
>>
>>48604366
That's a fair shake. I hadn't thought of it that way.
>>
>>48604409
I don't think it hurts the game in the long run. The intent is to keep from scaring off the people who are Kitchen Table level- the ones who might do one prerelease and buy a Fat Pack of any given set, maximum. The people who are trying to construct coherent, competitive decks (even just FNM level) aren't going to get hurt by the frontloading.

And it's not like they're saying "we HAVE to use 500 complexity units per set, and now that common can't have any they have to go elsewhere!", they're just conscious of how complex things of a certain rarity "can" be. There's been complex rares for a long-ass time (Goblin Game, anyone?).
>>
>>48604409
The point you make about commons and accessibility is very true, if another format comes in that is modern next, a lot of the decks will likely cost more than the average modern deck because all of the cards that will go into the decks will be rarer and so there will be no cheap cards in the deck.
>>48604432
The issue is that there are no longer any complex commons and thus most of the commons aren't constructed playable so constructed decks in general are more expensive preventing new players from buying in.
>>
>>48602443
Mono green or black suits me
Golgari / Selesnaya in the duals
Jund / Dega leaning in the tri color. loved the idea of W/B/R since high school, dega sanctuary is still a favorite card
>>
>>48604474
A common doesn't have to be complicated to be playable. Lightning Bolt is about as rock-simple a card as you can imagine, and it was a very playable Common.
>>
>>48603728
old phyrexia vs new phyrexia.

go
>>
>>48604474
The vast majority of the cost in Modern is tied up in the landbase, and hyper-expensive mythics like Liliana and Tarmogoyf.

The vast majority of Rares don't exceed the 10 dollar mark.
>>
>>48604497
Take a look at Bolt's printing history. Last it was printed it was Uncommon, and it's likely if it were printed again now it would be the same.
>>
>>48604497
The other issue is that the don't want to warp the limited format.
>>
>>48604499

That would be amazing.

I'm sure the fanbase would hate it though.
>>
>>48604499
>vs

New Phyrexia would fall into step behind Yawgmoth without a second thought.
>>
>>48604351
Couldn't tell you off-hand if it's competitive, but going wide with Avenger of Zendikar or tall with Mazirek/Lord of Extinction seem to be the primary wincons. If you have the right amount of lands in your hand and library left, you can also one-shot people with Wild Mongrel and Snake Wild Mongrel,
>>
>>48604513
It was an uncommon in Modern Masters, a reprint set. And it was an uncommon there for limited power reasons.

My point is, a card does not have to be complicated to be good at any rarity. Sylvan Advocate is not complicated, it's just a good beater. Mirrorwing Dragon is a complicated card, and not that great. Complexity =/= strength or playability.

And a big part of NWO is making Limited more accessible by making the commons less complex.
>>
>>48604512
>>48604497
It's a $5 piece of cardboard, a new player who is conscious of money cannot justify this for one card. It's very playable, therefore it's expensive. I have a ton of "chaff" which are pretty cool cards fluffwise but are "not playable" therefore I can't use them, and they're worth maybe 8 cents apiece. What's the point in that? It's a huge waste of money when you're either paying $10 for something good ($40 if you need a playset) and that's just a single part of a larger deck. Most people are thinking about paying $25 for a tank of gas rather than $25 for 25% of a deck of playing cards.
>>
>>48604542

I'd say it would do fine in a typical meta, if maybe not the crazy "competitive EDH" reddit-style.
>>
>>48604582
A player who considers 5 dollars for a playset of Lightning Bolt 'too expensive' is not going to be competing any higher than FNM. A player who wants to compete at any higher than FNM (and some AT FNM) will not shy away from a card costing a dollar twenty five.
>>
>>48602443
>Black
>Simic
>Esper
>>
File: Image.ashx.jpg (37KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.jpg
37KB, 223x310px
Are there anymore commanders that make people ragequit?
>>
>>48604639
Plenty.

Jhoira, Zur, Animar, Uril, just to name a few.
>>
>>48604629
To be competetive, I've spent $40 on a deck that loses every FNM.

I could build a new deck for $40, or upgrade this one for $20. Either way, I have no guarantee of winning, and I've spent two weekends worth of money, or three or four meals worth, or two tanks of gas worth, on a card game if I go in on those decks.

Seems fucking steep for something that's supposed to be fun. Metagame is what is killing this for me, because some cards are literally worthless and I don't know why on earth they were printed in the first place.
>>
>>48604639
>>48604669
Sen triplets used to make people on here rage quite a bit though I haven't seen too many people complaining about them recently.
>>
>>48604697
Maybe you should actually fucking test your decks before you just start blindly throwing money at cards and then bitching that your 40 dollar brew loses at FNM.

And man, no offense, but if the prospect of spending 40 dollars every few months to build a deck is giving you the hunger-sweats, this is not a hobby you should be looking at.
>>
>>48602311
Azusa+Crucible+Strip Mine is "FUN", any other thing that lets me drop more lands like Exploration or Oracle of Mul Daya makes it even more "FUN". Optional Titania and/or Gitgud frog out while I'm doing it for more value.
>>
>>48600925
I've done it, and yeah like others have said he's a mid-power commander. Things like Wall of Frost are decent, since people aren't gonna want to swing into that, and some of the "Inspired" creatures like King Macar and Siren of the Silent Song are worth running for the untap effects. Nighthowler is 10/10 value as long as you're not up against a Narset or similar spell-focused commander.
>>
>>48603780
Agreed
>>
>>48604810
I've decided to add kink macar into it, I don't know why I didn't think f it.
>>
>>48604409
That's an interesting point in regards to NWO. And is fairly sensible.

But I don't think the bottom line for WOTC is getting casuals at tournaments. More about keeping casuals buying a fatpack of each set as they come out with kitchen tabling.
>>
>>48604697
Well anon, hobbies cost money, and if you want to git gud at magic then you'll have to spend some cash on powerful cards.

I don't know what your deck is but you can playtest decks before you decide to buy into them in clients such as xmage or cockatrice. Or even then just proxy the deck and test it out with friends.

If money is really a big issue then you could always play online, or pauper, a format where you can buy a competitive deck for $40.
>>
File: Untitled.png (7MB, 2107x1896px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
7MB, 2107x1896px
>>48604697
btw heres a sample of some proxies, because there is no way that i am buying these cards without knowing if the deck works first
>>
>>48604881
I playtested with my friends using mostly draft cards that have changed as time has gone on, but at the LGS all my shit dies to top meta that they've spent hundreds to build. Everything goes according to plan on my playtests, but against literally top of the line meta with planeswalkers and mystic rares my shit caves in despite taking them down to under 10 life every game.
>>
>>48604916
>>48604911
>>48604734
I guess I'm just surprised at *how* much money this shit costs, and how expensive keeping up with whatever top meta shit is because I didn't go to a million booster drafts.

$40 every few months isn't bad at all, but I was expecting that by now taking the suggestions of people that defeat me would allow my U/R Izzet Prowess deck to work against all types of shit, but I am getting really really discouraged. If I could use proxies in my FNM matches I would love that but it's hard to spend a lot of time playtesting in person and going online to playtest would be pointless because everyone has access to every card so it's hard to get a real feel for anything.
>>
Gitrog clarification: Does blowing up your own Lands via effects like Strip Mine count as appeasing his sacrifice a land a turn thing?
>>
>>48604987
If all you want is to do 2-2 or 3-1 at most every FNM, you can easily do that for like 20, 25 dollars a month total. You won't be skullfucking any PPTQs on that budget, but you can absolutely build a streamlined, optimized version of a budget deckto have a bunch of fun.

If you expect to actually be competitive, and 40 dollars is "too expensive", abandon your dreams of ascending beyond FNM.
>>
>>48604997
No, destroying a land via Strip Mine does not "count" as sacrificing a land to Gitrog's trigger as it resolves you monumental walnut.
>>
>>48604997
No, but you will draw cards for the Strip Mine and the Strip Mined land going to the graveyard.
>>
>>48604987
Eh, thats how most TCG games work. The best cards are often worth the most.

Its not impossible to brew a deck and top a GP with it if you know how to brew and run it, however from an FNM standpoint you'll be unlikely to start winning matches from a pile of cards that you have gathered, especially if you are fairly new to the game.

My best opinion for you is to look at a few budget lists for Standard, or at least for your Izzet Prowess deck, and try to create a deck that at least has some goal in mind.

Anyway there is a Standard thread for this discussion that can help you out more

>>48590575
>>
>>48604987
I don't get why people don't seem to get that competitive MtG isn't for brewers with no budget. It is for people willing to be continuously trading and sharing cards in order to consistently have the best deck in the format.

The people that play standard competitively here essentially share a card pool, which is usually funded by drafts and trading trash cards for standard stuff before it shoots up.
>>
>>48604497
>Lightning Bolt is about as rock-simple a card as you can imagine, and it was a very playable Common.

That's because it was printed in Alpha.

>>48604432
>I don't think it hurts the game in the long run. The intent is to keep from scaring off the people who are Kitchen Table level- the ones who might do one prerelease and buy a Fat Pack of any given set, maximum.

I'm not saying that it hurts the game in the long run, but it does run the risk of scaring off newer players who want to transition into playing Standard (or God forbid, Modern/Legacy).

Even then, in ultracasual groups I've been in, you don't always get the cards that you want and having to trade for them or buy them becomes painful because so many are rare or mythic. I'm not even talking trade value, just pure "I'll trade my 3 rares for your mythic".

At this point, I've accepted that NWO is just a nice way of saying "we're going for the lowest common denominator".

I also think this is another reason why Casual 60 cards has been overtaken by Commander - you only need one of each card, and this reduces the pain of having to buy $10+ cards if you don't need a playset.
>>
File: 1467782728548.png (435KB, 855x768px) Image search: [Google]
1467782728548.png
435KB, 855x768px
>>48604081
>>
>>48602443
White
Boros(Orzhov follows closely afterwards)
Mardu
>>
>>48605079
Casual mtg with mostly commons is fun as fuck. It is like playing sealed. When all you have is 5 Fatpacks as your card pool and what you traded for.
>>
>>48605097
Ignore it, it's almost certainly bait.
>>
>>48604639
I've never seen anyone complain about the wanderer before.
Going by experience, I would have to say a very well put together Jhoira or Nekusar. Basically any deck that blatantly says "deal with me or lose".
>>
>>48605079
>That's because it was printed in Alpha.

Yeah, just like common staple Craw Wurm.
>>
>>48605033

Sorry, I'm new. Misunderstood what an article was talking about, thought it sounded wrong and that you guys could clarify.
>>
>>48602443
Mono: Blue
2 Color: Simic
3 Color: Bant
>>
>>48602844
>I decide what amount of a given demographic is insignificant

Ok buddy
>>
>>48605076
The guy who played against me first in the last FNM I went to was saying he was running around asking people to borrow cards for his decklist a few minutes before playing me. I never knew that people actually did this sort of thing or considered it acceptable. Maybe that would result in an easier time for me while slowly accumulating top cards.

How do you guys usually approach people to trade, or how often do you go and ask around the LGS? Are there Facebook groups you guys are part of?
>>
>havent ever played truely op decks, just high power with good combos followed by good gamesense.
>everyone in my playgroup bitches about how i win, be it infect a slow combo creature damage you name it
So im brewing a turn 1 storm deck, what do you do when your playgroup pushes you too far guys?
>>
>>48603479
Check your living privilege, shitlord
>>
>>48605229
Stax
>>
>>48603945
Chains of Mephistopheles
>>
>>48605229
I know that feel. I'm planning a hatebears/stax deck for this
>>
>>48605116
>Casual mtg with mostly commons is fun as fuck. It is like playing sealed. When all you have is 5 Fatpacks as your card pool and what you traded for.

It definitely is a much different experience, and that's why I find Pauper to be extremely enjoyable.

>>48605141
>Yeah, just like common staple Craw Wurm.

Creatures were significantly worse in the first half of M:tG, that's not a surprise.

Fun fact: Mishra's Factory dominates 93/94 games because of the new rules where you can block and tap to give itself +1/+1, as very few creatures can actually beat a 3/3.
>>
>>48605220
I don't do competitive MtG, so trading is a different beast. But usually if there is a tournament going on for the format I need cards for, I just ask people if they have their trades on them.

But yeah, very common, very acceptable.
>>
>>48605463
Black Knight can suck my Assembly-Worker cock.
>>
Is there a place for Life from the Loam now that Splendid Reclamation exists?
>>
>>48602443

blue
selesnya
abzan
>>
>>48605558
There has always been a place for Life From the Loam, dummy.
>>
>>48605558
Loam is 2cmc
Loam lets you put cards in the yard, this doesn't, although its a great card for Titania/Githrog shenanigans.
>>
>>48604639
I think people use strong commanders as an excuse for losing, even if they lost from something that has nothing to do with you commander.

>someone plays primal surge
>counter it
>OMG MAELSTROM IS SO OVERPOWERED YOU LITERALLY SHUT ME OUT OF THE GAME

>someone plays Krenko and a fuckton of other goblins, obviously ready to go off next turn.
>kill him with blightsteel ASAP
>OMG MAELSTROM IS SO OVERPOWERED YOU LITERALLY SHUT ME OUT OF THE GAME
>>
>>48604639
Meh, I don't have trouble with maelstrom with my horde of notions deck. Ramps just a bit faster to get horde out then just completely locks it down.
>>
I've been working on maki g a Pokemon Flavored edh deck with mechanics such as level up, evolve and gain control effects.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>48605691
Admittedly, you being able to cast Blightsteel and swing is likely due to the advantages in deckbuilding afforded to you by your commander.
>>
>>48605869
aether vial is the closest thing to a pokeball that I can think of
>>
>>48605869
Sorcerer's Strongbox.
Cold Storage.
>>
>>48604911
metamorphose is expensive? fuck i might as sell all mine now, thanks for that heads up
>>
>>48605869
Safe Haven and the Hideaway lands

>A WILD <creature> APPEARED
>>
>>48605869
Quicksilver Amulet
>>
>>48605869
Marchesa would be a pretty good commander for this, I think
>>
>>48605899
That would be a lot more true if the commander were Animar. Wanderer itself is not at all necessary or even particularly advantageous in casting Blightsteel unless you're going so far as to just blame the colors of the deck.
>>
>>48605933
like $4 not really expensive
>>
>>48605933
Not too expensive but I'm not going to pay $16 for cards that I only plan to test with..

That being said Wizards won't reprint shit so as soon as storm tops a GP it will go up to $20
>>
>>48606050
I mean, I might be.

I personally don't know how you ended up casting it unless you cascaded into Mana Reflection or something.
>>
>>48606050
Isn't a key part of MW ramping? With the possibility to cascade (twice) into a caged sun/gauntlet of power effect and then cast BSC with haste, that's pretty nice.
>>
>>48606131
>caged sun/gauntlet of power

In a three-color deck?
>>
>>48606099
Storm really doesn't seem like it's in a place where it is all that likely to top a GP, the real issue is that its way of getting past the leylines is too weak, void and sanctity are both very strong against it empty the warrens is bad because the opponent gets another turn after and there is really very little chance of winning through void.
>>
>>48606262
I just used the first two "doublers" that popped into my head. Mana reflection and big ritual effects is what I was talking about
>>
>>48606050
To be fair, it was easy to swing with Blightsteel because Maelstrom gives it haste.
>>
>Feelgood stories

>Playing Melek Spellslinger Before you judge, not playing extra turn spells or storm cards
>In hand:Mystical Tutor, Turnabout, Dig Through Time and some lands
>Cast Melek with UU up, pass
>Opponent casts Vindicate target Melek on their turn
>Brainstorm in response, put on top a a citp tapped land I wanted to shuffle away and Mystical Tutor
>Cast Mystical Tutor off the top, copied
>Shuffle away useless land
>First copy finds Pact of Negation, before resolving second copy cast, target Vindicate
>Resolve second copy finding Reiterate
>Upkeep, response to Pact trigger make infinite mana with Turnabout Reiterate and Dig, hitting Blue Sun and Milling them outt
>>
File: Full EDH Listing.jpg (1MB, 3872x1566px) Image search: [Google]
Full EDH Listing.jpg
1MB, 3872x1566px
I cut out the "possible" section because I realized I have twice as many that I will ever list. It'll come back if I seriously ponder making their deck.

Brago is in limbo, as I'm missing a few key pieces that aren't totally cheap, was charged overdraft fees on a few cheap card orders because Steam decided to not bill me for three entire weeks without me noticing, and I don't know if I'll have as much fun with him as I will others.
>>
I'm presently looking at Mono-Black, run by either Toshiro or Chainer. Anyone have experience with either of them? Am I making a mistake going down this path?
>>
>>48607131
I can't say I've played either, but I can tell you they're 2 different playstyles, Chainer is a great reanimator and Toshiro lends himself more to MBC, with a few wincons and some equipment to suit him up. I've been playing a Greel, Mind Raker MBC/Reanimator deck and it's been quite fun. Having a Mind Twist on a stick on the command zone is pretty good and he has crazy Synergy with Geth's Grimoire. He also provides a discard outlet so you can reanimate fatties.
>>
>>48607205

I'm honestly considering a Toshiro deck with Chainer in the 99. He may draw a lot of hate though, so I might be better off reanimating enemy creatures so they have to contemplate if it's worth exiling their own cards by popping Chainer.
>>
What Bant commander is best for a timmy who likes big creatures and the Johnny who loves synergy with all the cards in the 99?
>>
>>48607001
Gitrog is pretty fun to play for the card draw and mine isn't even nearly where I want to have it yet.
>>
File: Lord_of_Extinction.gif (520KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Lord_of_Extinction.gif
520KB, 480x360px
>>48602496
>>48602364

These comments only made me think of this for some reason.
>>
>>48607001
Can i get a list for that mimeoplasm?

Also thinking of making a wanderer or surrak dragonclaw, good idea?
>>
Migrate

>>48607736
>>48607736
>>48607736
>>
>>48607665
not the anon you are replying to but wanderer gets a lot of hate but is fun to play, just makes the game unfun for a lot of other people. surrak is pretty straightforward but has no synergy with other cards besides the fact that he gives them trample and makes them uncounterable. Temur is my favorite klan though so both are solid options (wanderer moreso than surrak in terms of power level though)
>>
File: 1443208018168.jpg (19KB, 148x164px) Image search: [Google]
1443208018168.jpg
19KB, 148x164px
>>48602443

1. Black
2. Simic
3. Orzhov
>>
>>48602443
Green
Selesnya
Um...Jund maybe? I don't play 3 color.
>>
>>48604669
Every Jhoira deck I've played has been ridiculous if the game has gone 10+ turns.
And this is coming from a Prossh player.
>>
>>48608708
>>48604669
Jhoira seems like a fun commander to play but I'm worried I might get hate for playing her at the table. Why is she hated so much?
>>
>>48608745
Jokulhaups/Apocalypse into Eldrazi.
On turn 7.
>>
>>48609088
Would it be possible to build a budget list (which are more or less low tier in terms of power levels) and keep it there just to keep her not as powerful as she can be with a less budget deck? Or is she still too strong even then?
>>
>>48604639
I run Nevermore to deal with any serious threats that require their commander to win, and you should too.
>>
>>48609128
If you make her weak, you'll get hate because she can make a bad deck good. Better off playing a different commander and running her in the 99. Only play scary commanders with a tuned deck, so you can win any games of archenemy.
>>
>>48604639
Narset. Honestly, she's just busted. My friend made $50 voltron Narset with no turn spells. It's still pretty insane.
>>
>>48609156
I mean what I was trying to get at was that if I build a bad deck then her goodness would just make it ok. I probably might just end up building her anyways because I like her ability that much and just keep her at a budget build instead of upgrading her.
Thread posts: 348
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.