[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dungeons and Dragons 5e General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 360
Thread images: 33

File: download.jpg (8KB, 312x162px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 312x162px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>July 2016 Unearthed Arcana
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/quick-characters

>Old Thread
>>48556405
>>
How do I use difficult terrain to improve my combat encounters? Whenever I ask this people give me examples like rocky ground or heavy rain but I don't know how these things should influence the players mechanically.
>>
>>48569864
Mechanically, difficult terrain slow's movement speed through it. Additionally, you might rule that it counts as some form of cover, if it were raining/snowing heavily, or the PCs are chasing goblins through some stalagmites or something.
>>
Mearls said the new UA is coming out at some point this afternoon, as of 42 minutes ago.
>>
>>48569864
Use terrain to create choke points. Choke points should allow the controlling side to used ranged attacks relatively safely against the non-controlling side and/or prevent the controlling side from being flanked.

Use obstructions that can break line of sight/line of effect so aoe attacks are difficult to use and ranged PCs have to adjust positioning, potentially putting themselves in dangerous positions to fully use their offense.

Add traps, pits, chasms, etc. to make the battlefield itself an enemy in addition to the creatures.

Add walls, buildings, etc. for higher ground to protect ranged NPCs from melee PCs.

Difficult terrain around any of these things helps to constrain PC movement to make the obstacles harder to overcome or harder to get away from, as appropriate.
>>
who are some good D&D twitter follows?

also any new rumors about Storm King's thunder?
>>
>>48569864
>do work for me
nah.
>>
>Weapon (longsword), rare, requires attunement
You have a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this weapon. In addition, while you are attuned with it, the vestige of a long dead wizard instills you with some arcane knowledge. You learn 2 cantrips from the wizard spell list.

Opinions on this? Should I add some restriction to attunement, so that they can't just switch the cantrips every short rest?
>>
>>48570116
Why even reply?
>>
Why does padded armor give you disadvantage on stealth?
>>
What kind of features would a gunmage archetype for fighter have...?
>>
>>48570121
Do you play with the type of people who would think to do that?

If that answer is yes, then consider a restriction. If the answer is no, don't worry about it.
>>
I just used Geas as a DM for the first time last night, as part of my boss encounter, but I think I fucked it up. I had the BBEG cast it on the party wizard, and I commanded him to kill the party. On his first move he cast Darkness, as he claimed it was in preparation to attack, and at the time I allowed. The group managed to keep him restrained until the BBEG was dead and the effect wore off, which was a bit disappointing to me as I was hoping for a harder fight. So, a few questions:

1. Should I have taken over control of the wizard? I didn't want to be a dick and just take the player out of the action, but is that the proper way to run it?

2. Should he have taken 5d10 psychic damage for not following the order to the letter? Or should I have told him that he'd have to hurt somebody?

3. Am I correct that the effect persists even if the caster dies? It's not Concentration, so I kept it going for its full duration.

4. Is it just a bad idea to use Geas on PCs, period, or can it be used to good effect in other situations?
>>
File: christmas story jacket.jpg (89KB, 800x581px) Image search: [Google]
christmas story jacket.jpg
89KB, 800x581px
>>48570175
>>
>>48570111
follow ((()))
>>
>>48570179
Exactly the same as an eldritch knight with a gun. Or just a Mercer's Gunslinger. Pick one.
>>
Can I get some feedback for these rogue archetypes?

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyGRUsiD

>Revolutionary
Selfless rogue archetype that focuses on motivating others.

>Ruffian
Thug archetype that focuses on being the muscle or the goon. (str based)
>>
>>48570196
1. The effect says charmed, not controlled. Player maintains control.
2. He was given an instruction, he made an interpretation. Such is the nature of charm effects.
3. It looks like it actually does persist. Hmm.

4. I'd recommend not trying to get your party to kill each other using mind control magic. That seems like something your players would grow to hate you for, especially if you're going to be particular about how they do it. It's sort of robbing them of agency for no reason other than to cause them to suffer.
>>
>>48569864
Difficult terrain comes in a few broad categories, sometimes overlapping several at the same time:

Terrain that obstructs vision (fog, smoke, heavy rain, insanely thick swarms of small creatures, etc)

Terrain that obstructs or confuses line of sight (curtains, thick cobwebs, illusory objects, mirrors, etc)

Terrain that confounds movement (tar, rough ground, mud, walls, pits, columns, etc)

Terrain that is dangerous (pits, lava, cliffs, unstable ceilings, quicksand, fireplaces, traps, etc).

Consider what makes sense for the area the encounter takes place in (probably no lava in a swamp, probably no unstable ceilings in a dwarven throneroom), particularly bearing in mind that somebody or something may live in the place the encounter takes place in. For example, most living areas of intelligent creatures will have a fireplace, stove, hearth, or something to that effect. Include that in their living area and you now have a nominally-dangerous bit of terrain. They probably also have somewhere they poo. Players love latrines. They love stuffing dead gnolls into latrines. My players do, at least.
>>
What's the preferred wizard build these days? Is illusion still popular?
>>
File: 1374796030634.png (117KB, 444x440px) Image search: [Google]
1374796030634.png
117KB, 444x440px
>>48570234
>>
>>48570319
Wizard is such a strong base that the archetype won't severely hinder you if you're intelligent with your spell picks.

I have seen Abjurer, Diviner, Enchanter, Evoker, and Illusionist all intelligently played so far.

So far I believe Abjurer is strongest in a strictly mechanical sense and Illusionist is strongest in a creative sense.
>>
>>48570306

Thanks Anon. I'll avoid using it against PC's in the future.
>>
>>48570196
Geas doesn't really force you to do something, just punishes you for not doing it; darkness is an offensive spell, so I'd say it does qualify. The rest of it would just be proper planning, minions to do things to make the party's life harder while the wizard tries to kill them, etc.
>>
>>48570116
>write douchebag comments just to feel edgy af
get a life
>>
>>48570207
What does a slug have to do with this?
>>
>>48570196
I find that Geas is best used to give players some additional incentive to do something they were going to do anyway but may have had trouble justifying in-character.

The king's daughter is held hostage by the BBEG. The party is to go retrieve her, unharmed and unmolested with utmost haste. They are to subject themselves to the Geas in order to secure the King's trust that they'll do as he asks. Once he's satisfied they will comply, he lends them the precious macguffin that will allow them to properly pursue the quest. Something like that.
>>
>add in useful chokepoints and all sorts of nice things to maps people could abuse
>everybody just runs in and starts hitting stuff
>if you have a fighter, they would never obey 'stand back and let's all fire on them' because they'd do more DPS up front, even if it puts them at risk of death
>>
>>48570351
/thread
>>
>>48570319
Evoker for being laid-back and having fun with fireballs.
Abjurer for breaking the game by being harder to kill than anything short of a barbarian
Diviner for breaking the game by requiring every die roll to have your permission before it resolves.
Spellsinger for having an absurdly high AC and for the flavor of having a sword and knowing how to use it (though you don't have a compelling reason to, since your spells are so much better than anything you can do with a sword)
Anything else if you're really dedicated to roleplaying a master of that school of magic even though the mechanical benefits suck.
>>
So, anyone got any ideas, hopes or expectations for the new races in Volo's Guide to Monsters? We know of 6 races we're getting so far, but anyone got any others they really want to see?

For the curious, those six races are:
* Orc, Goblin, Firbolg: Revealed in the product summary for Volo's Guide.
* Aasimar: Revealed on Reddit.
* Catfolk: Revealed on Twitter, but we don't know what "sort" of catfolk we're getting - there's tabaxi and wemics (lion-centaurs, essentially) as "traditional" Faerunian catfolk, after all.
* Tritons: The podcast where they talk about Storm King's Thunder.

Personally, I want to see:
* Kobolds - because they're, like, one of the most popular monstrous races besides orcs/goblins.
* Gnolls - because I think they could really make for an interesting race if they weren't pigeonholed into "demon-worshipping lazy cannibal slavers" all the time.
* Saurials - simply because they're an esoteric FR race and, really, it's a race of dinosaurs; you have to be *trying* to cock that up.
* Aranea - because I think they put the Isle of Dread in Faerun at some point and because "intelligent, magically adept spider-were" is a really unusual racial archetype.
* Tannaruk and Fey'ri - because we got Tiefling variants already, so why not go the whole hog and give us the FR-native Orc & Elf versions of tieflings too?
>>
>>48570438
Oh yeah, and Necromancer for breaking the game by having an army of zombies that eat the game's action economy alive
>>
>>48570196
God, casting Darkness was so fucking clever. Give that player inspiration or something.
>>
>>48570306
this, i dm myself and actually kinda hate mind control spells , they just negate all the friction that opposition gives to the encounters.
>>
>>48570196
It should probably have been done:

"Wizard. You must attack your party members whenever you are able."
This forces the wizard to attack their party instead of him, or attack him at the same time as fighting the party.
The wizard could opt to simply take that physic damage, if they wanted, and then completely ignore the geas as it will not effect them for a while.
From then on otherwise, the wizard would probably be throwing their weakest spells to attack their teammates, or simply run from the battle.
Though it does maybe mess with the Wizard's ability to do things, it does give them something to do: The dilemma of how they're going to get around the Geas.

Honestly though, that's not the way you'd normally use Geas at all. Geas is pretty much a forced quest, not a mind control attempt.
>>
>>48570481
mind-fuckery spells can be fun, mind-domination spells are just annoying.
>>
>>48570452
Until something with a big breath attack or its own fireball spell comes along.
>>
File: 1439690179345.jpg (132KB, 632x592px) Image search: [Google]
1439690179345.jpg
132KB, 632x592px
Hey guys. So basically this girl joined an AL group at my FLGS a few months ago, I asked her out and she didn't say yes. So I tried to get her character killed, discovered you fucking cannot die in AL which is bullshit, and as a result I ended up kicked out of AL for calling them on their bullshit.

Well anyway I was talking to one of her friends and they invited me to their home game and I would be playing soon. So since this is not an AL game, it is a home game, I am curious what sneaky / dirty tricks you have for getting a character killed? PvP isn't outright banned but I still need to think of a clever way of killing her and making her death look like an accident (in-game, that is).

I am building a 4th level character btw. Anything in the PHB is legal.
>>
>>48570534
Is this the D&D version of "dies to removal"?
>>
>>48570550
Kill yourself.

Boring bait is boring.
>>
>bladesong
>on a 20 dex, 20 int wizard
>23 AC for 2 minutes every short rest with mage armour, starting from level 2, or without mage armour if you feat up some light armour and get a +1 on that armour
Who thought this was a good idea?
>>
>>48570617
How much HP ya got, senpai?
>>
Anyone here got the Tome of Beasts that just came out? Previews seemed good, was wondering how decent the content looks at first glance.
>>
>>48570617
People who realized that wizards are never going to have 20 Dex, 20 Int, and any amount of Con to make melee worthwhile.

Bladesingers are still squishy as fuck by the time they can manage their max AC from it.
>>
>>48570583
No, it's still a good tactic. It's just best not to get too attached to your army and be sure you have other tricks up your sleeve.

Counterspell is a must for necromancers.
>>
File: Toil_to_Renown_640.jpg (107KB, 640x477px) Image search: [Google]
Toil_to_Renown_640.jpg
107KB, 640x477px
>>48570617
>Who thought this was a good idea?

Apparently Wizards of the Coast when they decided to use bounded accuracy so a 20th level fighter has the same attack bonus as a fucking 20th level rogue.
>>
>>48570550
Maybe grow a pair and stop being a baby about being turned down.
>>
>>48570550
So you're saying she rejected you, then offered to buy you lunch after you had a tantrum and got kicked out (where you rejected her act of kindness), and THEN one of her friends invited you to their home game? Anon, you've gone beyond the realms of believability. It's time for a new story.

I appreciate your dedication, though.
>>
>>48570517
I will agree with that, charm spells yes, can be interesting.
For example, my players are doing the Lost mines of Phandelver module (though midly modified by me and with actually rolled characters) and at the goblin arrows ambush they got firstly steamrolled and on second try to got the last goblin to fled, so my fiance's druid casted charm person on the goblin and long story short the almost fell in love with it and kinda felt bad they had to kill it when the spell finished.

Straight up mind control spells eliminate any kind of chance for the victim to challenge the caster.

Casters in DnD are already disgustingly overpowered, to have spells like those is kinda unbearable for me.
>>
>>48570657
Come on now, you don't like the fighter's 4 attacks vs. the rogue's 1 at level 20? Or action surge twice per rest at that point?
>>
>>48570657
You're right, rogues should have a higher to-hit at 20th level to make up for how poorly their damage scales at those high levels when there are no feats like GWM and Sharpshooter to boost them.
>>
>>48570657
>so a 20th level fighter has the same attack bonus as a fucking 20th level rogue
So two characters who have both been fighting with swords for 20 whole levels shouldn't be equally good at it just because they fight with swords in slightly different ways?
>>
>>48570665
>>48570674
don't feed such bad and idiotic bait please
>>48570550
>>
>>48570642
Don't forget their lack of proficiency in the physical saving throws.
>>
File: tiefling.jpg (93KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
tiefling.jpg
93KB, 768x1024px
>>48565203
i drew this for you in ms paint
>>
>>48570733
This looks like the equivalent of the merchant rubbing hands meme, but of like an asian store owner.
>>
>>48570636
Okay, fine, that's a good point.

>>48570642
It just kind of feels like it's treading all over the toes of any heavy armour wizard. Dwarf wizards or wizards with a dip in cleric, something like that.
It's quite reasonable they might start with 18 dex and 18 int if it's by rolls and someone gets cheesy, and they'll probably level int to 20.
con might still be fairly high if they got good rolls. Wit only 18 int and 18 con they already surpass a shield + plate armour guy if they pop mage armour in the morning and have a quick rest to regain that spell slot.

Compared to a heavy armour wizard with a shield, they still get more armourclass, they get more movement, they don't have to dump dex and get crappy dex save throws / initiative.

Oh, well, portent is sitill more fun anyway.

>>48570657
They gotta make figher players have fun somehow, and the only way fighter players can have fun is by rolling as many numbers as possible.
>>
Anyone know of a generator for legends/myths?
>>
>>48570517
>>48570691
I find very short term (a few turns max) mind domination spells are often okay because they act a lot like stuns.
For those cases I typically the player be effectively stunned and their character does fairly simple actions for those few rounds.
But those play like combat maneuvers and not mind fuckers.

Long term mind domination I restrict to NPCs. Then it can be interesting to have the players figure it out.

The test of a good roleplayer is how they act under of charm spell.
>>
>>48570857
Not really, because that Bladesong is twice a day, for a minute each. That's it. Otherwise, you're just a squishy-ass wizard.

That wizard with shield and plate armor's rocking that AC all bloody day.
>>
File: 1458062766234.jpg (23KB, 625x420px) Image search: [Google]
1458062766234.jpg
23KB, 625x420px
>>48570698
>Or action surge twice per rest at that point?

Oh and that's another thing. So fucking sick of these once-per-day abilities that should've died with late-3.5 and 4e. Fuck that shit. Why is it when I do a cool maneuver it's all "oh well that was cool too bad I can't do something cool til tomorrow"

Makes zero fucking sense, artificializes the resting structure to the game (which in itself is fucking stupid because of the death of wandering monsters and the pussification of Dungeons and Dragons in general to three or four set encounters you plot through)

This game has turned into such overly structured shit it is unbelievable. Instead of allowing some sort of rhythm of play to grow naturally from the aspects of the game, they instead force this autistic bullshit structure that has no link to the literature the game takes inspiration from. Instead it just shits all over itself with babyfuck handholding and wants you to conform to their narrative and encounter flow structure. Fucking ridiculous. Just fucking ridiculous. I cannot believe people pay money for this game with four different divergent ways of healing so as to "balance" it better when the old rules for how it worked were just fine and far simpler to boot.
>>
>>48570860
Well that's a new level of lazy.
>>
>>48570897
>This game has turned into such overly structured shit it is unbelievable.
I'm not sure why you're playing a class-level based system at all. It's not the 1980s anymore, you have plenty of options.
>>
>>48570820
isn't that what tiefling rogues are?
>>
>>48570860
Dwarf Fortress
>>
What are the best options for a martial flying in mid-high level campaigns. Carpet of Flying, Wings of Flying, Winged Boots? Specifically this is for a two handed paladin that isn't an Oath of Vengeance pally.
>>
>>48570897
i feel like this is bait but why dont u just go play osr
>>
>>48570894
Two uses.
Every short rest.
Uses a bonus action.

Wizards don't tend to use bonus actions as much unless they pack a spell that does so.
A minute is 10 rounds of combat. Most combat will have easily have ended in 20 rounds.

If you have two seperate 10 round combat encounters, you will likely have AT LEAST a short rest afterwards.

You don't have to worry quite as much about initiative since you'll probably have high dex, unlike in plate armour.

Then, not to mention the other benefits such as barbarian speed, a lot less worry about concentration (a better bonus than you get from war caster) and... Advantage to escape grapples, I guess.
>>
>>48570905
Yeah, I am. Stuck in the hospital today.

>>48570955
I've tried that, but didn't like it.
>>
>>48570977
Winged Boots are the best for in-combat flying, I imagine. For overland travel you'll want a carpet or broom.
>>
>>48570983
>Every short rest FOREVER. No way to ever get more uses.
Fixed that for you.
>>
>>48570977
You can't really guarantee that you'll get any particular magic item in your campaign, or be able to make one. Just get the wizard to cast Fly on you.
>>
>>48570977
Aarakokra
Variant Tiefling
Those items you listed.
Find a way to cast Fly spell.
Convince your DM to allow you to Find Steed a flying mount
>>
>>48571001
What.
I don't understand, anon.
>>
>>48571008
Friendly wizard/sorcerer/whatever
Muliclass druid and turn into a flying animal and smite people with your large talons
>>
>>48570305
bumpan this. /5eg/ doesn't really like homebrews outside of Consensus ranger does it?
>>
>>48570999
Sounds good m8.

>>48571002
Actually he's been mostly lenient with the stuff we find, I found a carpet of flying at a store but it was the max weight slow one, and I didn't feel the need to have 4 people on the carpet.
>>48571008
I like this one, maybe I'll chat with the DM about winged mounts.

Thanks these have been helpful, I'll figure something out.
>>
>>48571040
Don't forget condense way of the 4 elements monk
>>
Can I build a Hafling Fighter that doesnt use a Rapier to have good damage?
>>
>>48571103
I haven't actually seen this one before. The consensus ranger I have but haven't found any good fixes for 4 elements monk yet.
>>
>>48571040
Your homebrew is fine. Revolutionary reminds me of advance wars, I thought I'd hate it but I kind of like it. Ruffians ability to shove or grapple as a bonus action is likely too much, especially on one of the best grapplers in the game.
I've saved a lot of stuff from here, but mostly homebrew involving tools or sills. Class archetypes I feel like the game is basically fine on, and races I feel there are already enough of.
>>
>>48571153
yes, you use any 1d8 one handed weapon and a shield and shield master and shove people down to your level and beat them to death. I recommend the flail, morningstar, or warpick for style points.
>>
>>48570305
Looks interesting. Lets see.
>revolutionary
Level 3 ability looks overpowered at first, but then actually doesn't seem too bad at all, really. Kind of sucks if you're not with melee-range people.
Level 3 other ability, 'use an object as a bonus action'... Really? That's the thief's thing. Get out.

Level 9 looks interesting if the DM is willing to put up with you. They'll also have to probably keep a check on you ALWAYS having a party possé with you and instead say you must already have a mission before you start recruiting.

Level 13 ability... What? 'You learn ideas are more important than lives, so you, uhh, try to save a ... life that isn't very impotrant and make yourself attacked..? Because, you.. Like their ideas a lot?
I think they could've worded it better. It's not entirely bad, but it does clash quite badly with the rogue's level 5 feature. Perhaps instead being able to grant your rogue level 5 feature to someone within 5ft of you could be a thing, though I think it should have to be declared before the attack is even made to make it less powerful.

Level 17 ability is fair enough.

>ruffian
Ahahaha. Hahahahaha! No.
Only useful if you're a multiclass heavy armour rogue, and then the only decent ability is the level 17 one, I'd say.
Trash.

Revolutionary looks pretty nice, though.
>>
>>48571172
Wholly appreciate it. While it's true I've seen some good homebrew discussion / workshopping here, I can't help but feel most of it is just 80% bashing / praising of reddit material.

The other 20% of "stfu, you can already do that if you play X/Y/Z and don't think about A/B/C"

As far as the 3rd level ability, I was considering making him give advantage to friendlies on targets he has grappled? Or something regarding dealing with the theme of toughness.
>>
>>48571164
I heard it's a bit too strong but I'll see for myself in the following weeks.
>>
>>48571214
>>48570305
Okay, I had a second look.
Ruffian isn't too bad, actually.

Though the other anon said that grappling as a bonus action seems a bit much, it conflicts with many other things the rogue can do as a bonus action.
Not to mention, the 'grant advantage as a reaction' has times it'd definitely be useful but also times it risks wasting your level 5 rogue feature.

Still, it sounds like it'd really annoy the DM when you take the grappler feat and just grapple the fuck out of everything.
>bonus action to grapple
>action to attack, now having advantage and thus having sneak attack

I think I'd allow both archetypes in a game I run.
>>
>>48571258
I have this version here. That's far too much text for me to try to look through and spot the differences.
>>
>>48571258
>48571258
>>48571298

I'm also retarded.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1pdYIcfHauwNDM2My1XeWFYSDA/view
>>
>>48571214
>Level 3
Hmmm, the other option I was thinking of is being able to grant proficiency or advantage to teammates nearby on ability checks (similar to the Help action in the other part of the level 3 ability)
>Level 9
It's almost word for word Animate Dead, didn't see much of a problem.
>Level 13 ability...
I really like that actually. Thematically, it could be pulling your teammate out of danger, or just shoving the enemy last second...

>>48571292
> but also times it risks wasting your level 5 rogue feature.

The idea is that that is the risk reward for that feature.

>I think I'd allow both archetypes in a game I run.
That's what I'm aiming for.
>>
>>48571298
>>48571344
Jesus Christ why didn't they put a version number or something. Ugh.

If you click on the link at the end of the PDF it takes you to a giantitp thread, which in turn points you to my version.
So I guess mine is the latest.
>>
Do you ever come up with names for your campaigns?
>>
>>48571582
Sometimes yes, most times not until AFTER the fact, and I do a write-up / summary / chronicle of what my party did. It's kinda divided up into chapters.
>>
Anyone got a list of good 5e related podcasts, looking at a long commute and need something to listen to.
>>
>>48571617

So I'm starting a new campaign from level 6. What's a good combo for multi classing?

I'm thinking trickery cleric 3 shadow monk 3, because of the stat synergy, but on the other hand, I guess monk spell casting isn't that amazing and that's what duplicity is for
>>
>>48571648
Paladin / Warlock is always a cheese option you could go with that people recommend for multi-classing.
>>
>>48570983
>you will likely have AT LEAST a short rest afterwards.
short rests aren't 5 minutes in this edition.
>>
>>48571673

I suppose Fey patronage wouldn't go too bad for my Paladin of Trickery, but I've never dipped in Warlock before.
What is the mechanics that I'm missing? Is it the neat Magic Blade?
>>
The party is
>Fighter
>Rouge
>Warlock
>Druid

Is a party fucked without a dedicated healer class without making the Druid the party heal-monkey?
>>
>>48571673
So I get why Pal/Sorc is a cheese combo, and I get why Sorc/Warlock is a cheese combo, but why is Paladin/Warlock a combo? You don't really get more spell slots for Smites, you get a few extra utility powers sure, but unless you're somehow eldritch blasting with smites, I'm not seeing the big deal.
>>
>>48571786
>Is a party fucked without a -

no. the answer is always no.
>>
>>48571786
No. The fighter can handle themselves with Second Wind, the Druid can turn into a bear if they're worried about HP, and the warlock can grab false life invocation or armor of agathys or someting. Rogue should be evasive enough to not die.
>>
File: IMG_6419-1 copy.png (3KB, 150x164px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6419-1 copy.png
3KB, 150x164px
>>48571786
>Rouge
>>
>>48571790
Spell slots you can smite with that recharge on short rest, and a lot of invocations are useful.
>>
>>48571648
Shadowmonk 5/Rogue 1, the reason not 3 and 3 is cause of Shadow Step which you get at 6, bonus action teleport to dim light. If you pick your battles and fight in dim light, you could sneak attack every turn due to advantage from the teleport no matter if they are with enemies or not. It's not crazy damage but you will be as close to a ninja as you can get without some kind of homebrew. Start rogue for skills, then the rest in monk, get 18 Dex and 14 wis. and wait till 6 with Monk, then fill up rogue till assassinate. Good damage and INSANE mobility if you can stay in dim light
>>
>>48571842
I was really close though
>>
>>48570116
hang yourself
>>
>>48571648
Trickery Cleric is poor in general, as its abilities are generally pretty situational. Barring a 1-level dip for AC, Monk is generally better single-classed, at least until mid-levels, as it really needs the extra Ki for Flurries.

What sort of character are you doing for?
>>
Favorite uses of Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade? Whether its' as a class combo or as a caster that has access to the spells. It just seems fun for a bladelock/paladin combo.
>>
>>48571882
>>
>>48571979
High elf martial who has it as a secret sword technique passed down their family tree for generations.
>>
>>48571979
>Swashbuckler + Booming Blade
Fancy Footwork means you can get away easily. Panache means you can provoke your target into coming after you.
>>
This begs the question not sure if it showed up in the previous thread. We have a fix to the ranger (consensus) and a semi-fix to the Wot4E Monk, but has anyone found good house rules or fixes for the bladelock that aren't "pick another class" or "multiclass" combos?
>>
>>48571172
it's the backgrounds that are completely shite and far too few.
>>
>>48572206
I mentioned a few weeks ago if you really want to get some in combat utility which I assume is what people really want just get maneuvers. Two maneuvers, and one superiority dice. Regains on short rest. If I'm feeling nice, you can use your Charisma for the DC saves with the weapon.

Or you know, let you use Charisma in place of Strength/Dex, but I don't think blade locks are really looking for more damage.
>>
>>48571944

Well, I've played a lot of Arcane inteligence stuff, and the front line is kind of stuffed right now, so I was looking more for the wisdom/charisma side of things to see if there was anything interesting to it
>>
>tfw you've never played D&D but have no idea how or where to start
>>
>>48571786
>dedicated healer
Please no.

Combat healing is only required to keep people from losing turns from dropping unconscious. In any other case other actions are more useful.
>>
>>48572288
buy the starter set, it's 15€ and has already everythign you need to play with
>>
>>48572288
Grab the PHB, grab the Starter Set adventure, grab some friends, read them, play.
>>
>>48572360
>>48572369

Thanks bros, i'll look into them
>>
Would most DMs be against me using the original unearthed arcana storm sorcerer as opposed to the SCAG version? They look identical to each other, apart from the extra spells the UA one gets, which imo doesn't push it over the top or anything. Is there a reasonable argument I can give to my DM why I should be able to use the UA version?
>>
>>48572284
Sorcerer with Warlock I've heard can be nice, Twinned Eldritch Blast is supposed to be overpowered eventually, 4Sorceror/2Warlock. Good spell list and good Cantrips.
>>
>>48572387
I 've started a couple of months ago as a DM, 5e is the easisest shit ever to pick up, you will be fine. <3
>>
>>48572456
Call Lightning as a sorcerer is fun?
>>
File: 88bcafdd3c66cb93c425247864465424.jpg (123KB, 736x1111px) Image search: [Google]
88bcafdd3c66cb93c425247864465424.jpg
123KB, 736x1111px
So what are some good builds for a party about to play CoS? I assume healers are a must. Would rangers or druids be useful for traversing the Barovian wilderness?
>>
>>48570983

A blade singer is always going to have less HP and less damage than a fighter if they're just going full melee. It's just a way for them to use their melee cantrips that are on their spell list without getting owned in melee.
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/faithful

New *actual* Unearthed Arcana.
>>
>>48572264
Yeah, an Invocation two give a couple of Maneuvers and an Invocation to let them use Charisma with their pact weapon would tighten up the class pretty well.
>>
>>48572654

I think that warlock pact is pretty cool.
>>
>>48572654
fucking hate magic cucks.
>>
>>48572654

Not sure how I feel about the Wizard/Cleric thing. I guess it's better than multiclassing, but at the same time I can't help but feel like it's kind of...uninspired? I guess?

The Warlock patron is pretty cool though, even if their pact boon is kind of weak.
>>
>>48572654
Wizard- pick a cleric subclass
It'll be fine. No way this could backfire.
No way giving +2 to spell save DCs three times per short rest is OP. No way giving access to the entire cleric spell list could be a bad idea. And it's certainly not a bad idea giving wizards earlier access to a 17th level ability, a supposed tier of gameplay higher, at level 14.
>>
>>48572654
>wizards get to just give themselves +2 to their spell save DCs and access to free flight
i'm not so sure about this
>>
>>48572797
It's something a fair number people have been clamoring for since the game came out, so I'm sure a lot of people will be pleased about it.
At the very least it'll mean people making less awful homebrews to do it.
>>
>>48572654

>Wizard Priest

Because Brother Dumbledore wasn't already as stupid as all fuck

>Pact of the Seeker

Also a bit stupid, thematically
>>
>>48572898
Brother Dumbledore?
>>
>>48572868

Yeah I suppose it's a pretty elegant way of doing it.

I think a Tempest domain Wizard could be pretty fun though. Using your channel divinity on Chain Lightning must be pretty rad.
>>
>>48572863
dont forget that arcana clerics get wish at level 17, so this wiz archetype gets wish at level 14.
>>
>>48572966
You still don't have 9th-level spell slots so it's fine... though I suppose it opens you up to wizard 14/other caster 3 having Wish.
>>
>>48572560
Not quite as good as an Underdark-themed Ranger in OotA but yeah pretty good.
>>
So how does one go about a Paladin Warlock?
The concept intrigues me immensely

>>48572918

Arcane Priests
>>
>>48573008
Silly idea: Cleric 3, and then go Wizard to also dabble in another Domain on top of Arcane stuff.
>>
>>48573008
so you go paladin 6 wizard 14
wish, smites, 2 attacks, heavy armor, +charisma to all your saves

OR WHATEVER
>>
>>48572898
It's not as if Gods of Magic are anything new. Greyhawk has Boccob (pure magic), Wee Jas (Death/Magic) and Vecna (Magic/Death/Undeath/Secrets), Krynn has the three Lunar deities, Forgotten Realms has Mystara, and those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head. Honestly, the Arcana Cleric and the Theurgist Wizard make a lot of sense.

Besides, it's easier than the original Mystic Theurge prestige class or the Mage/Priest multiclass.

>>48573030
Depends on the subclasses you take for both. Easiest way to fluff one, in my opinion, is to make you a Chosen Champion - a warrior-wizard sworn to the service of an eldritch patron.

The Oath of Ancients and Fae Pact Pala-Lock could easily be a "Green Knight" mystic champion of some powerful fae lord.

The Oath of Vengeance and Infernal Pact Pala-Lock could be "Hell's Bounty Hunter", sworn to pay off an infernal debtor by collecting the souls of villains and monsters who escaped from Hell or to strengthen Hell's army.

I'm sure others can think up even better fluff than this.
>>
>>48573030
>So how does one go about a Paladin Warlock?
The Oath is in service of whatever the Warlock Pact is, or what it represents, or what the Paladin THINKS it represents. As the Patron's champion or what have you.

Or, they made the pact before they were a paladin and became one seeking redemption or protection from the fallout of the pact, or more strength from something more reliable.

Or, they made the pact after becoming a paladin in a moment of desperation or weakness.

In any case they must serve their Oath and they must serve their Patron. There's a lot to play with as far as how much they chafe under either.

An easy combination is Fey Pact and Oath of the Ancients. Essentially be a Knight in the Summer or WInter court of mysterious and otherworldly Fey.

Or if you like Dark Souls, you can make a Paladin who praises the sun by being a Paladin of Devotion and a Warlock of the Undying Light.
>>
>>48573210

Yeah, I can handle the thematics just fine, I'm just asking, how would you go about playing one? I don't see all that many advantages to paladin just by virtue of a quick magic blade and then sticking to the path

You can loot those eventually
>>
>>48573270
Generally you wouldn't really want to go with the Blade pact.

As for mechanically, it reinforces your Smite feature with short-rest spell slots that are also (eventually) higher than level 1 because pact magic.

Plus Eldritch Blast is a strong and reliable ranged option, which is something many paladins will end up relatively deficient in.
>>
>>48572797
I think the pact boon needs associated invocations
>>
>>48572469
It's really not overpowered. At all levels you're delaying spell progression for better Eldritch Blast. Viable? Sure. Better than getting Cone of Cold, Disintegrate, etc. sooner? Nope.
>>
>>48573398

Definitely. It just doesn't seem worth it here.
>>
>>48572469
Once you gain an additional projectile at character level 5 you lose the ability to twin it.
>>
File: cheeseburger.gif (2MB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
cheeseburger.gif
2MB, 540x304px
Added more new PWYW stuff to the DMs Guild trove.

Highlight:
>Wolfkin playable wolf race.pdf
>>
>>48572654
I like that Theurge is a good way mechanically to represent an Ur-Priest.
>>
>>48573388

Ah, I see. So a relatively ballanced way to go about it, would be to level up how? Lock 3 Paladin 17? Maybe with a War Caster feat?
>>
>>48572654
Between these and the favored soul for sorcerers you could have a fairly divine powered party.
>>
>>48570293

Are there any pdfs of his stuff? I don't really have the funds to buy them sadly.
>>
>>48573659

thanks in advance for the advice
>>
>>48573659
There's a couple cut off points depending on what features you like.

Paladin 6 has the Charisma to saves aura. Paladin 11 has improved divine smite. After that, paladin levels lose some of their draw.

Warlock 3 gets you a pact boon. Warlock 7 gets you the most divine smite damage for your pact magic slots. Warlock 11 gets a 3rd pact magic slot.

There's some other spots to mix and match with based on oath/patron too.
>>
>>48573152
Oath of the Crown/Undying Pact
>Rise a Knight of Barovia in the service Count Strahd Von Zarovich
>>
>>48570860
Try using your imagination, you lazy nigger.
>>
>>48572863
Are there any must-have spells in the domain lists, or are you waiting till level 12 for something in the full cleric list? Honestly this seems powerful, but I can't think of an overt way it's overpowered compared to what a wizard normally gets.
>>
Added new UA content... now that we finally got a UA with new content.
>>
>>48574048
You don't need to wait for level 12 if you pick a domain where some of the domain spells are also wizard spells.
>>
File: 433216__the-guardian-angel_p.jpg (168KB, 969x545px) Image search: [Google]
433216__the-guardian-angel_p.jpg
168KB, 969x545px
I want to make a short arc (<10 hours of gaming) of a divine party cleansing an unholy land of its undead menace.
I think a crusade is a pretty straightforward quest and it should make for a fun, fast and simple campaign.

I'll steal some of Curse of Strahd great ideas, I love the idea of tarokka readings for instance.
Other than that, is there an adventure that I should read for inspiration?
Any good ideas, things that worked out in a similiar campaign of yours?
Anything I should avoid specifically ?
>>
>>48573750
they're free, look up dmsguild.
>>
>>48574184
So what are the spells from the cleric list that a Wizard really wants?
>>
>>48574414
it just depends but i think the main thing is opening the wiz up to be able to heal
>>
>>48572654
How do all the "you present your holy symbol and" effects work when you don't have one?
>>
>>48574444
use your i m a g i n a t i o n why dont you
>>
>>48574424
1 level of cleric does that.
>>
>>48574465
good post, 10/10
>>
I'm looking for a respawn mechanic for oneshots/dungeoncrawl campaigns where inserting a new character as replacement doesn't work, basically upon death X happens or you need to do X to have the unlucky guy revive with some penalty. Though I'm looking for fluff/explanation/ideas rather than mechanics. I'm sceptic about straight out ripping off dark souls.
>>
>>48574510
This season of AL literally does that. You die and come back with a curse (only in the very early levels though) if you accept the gift of life from the dark powers.
>>
>>48574414
Depending on your campaign, having access to restoration and raise dead could be quite convenient.
>>
>>48574444
>not using your penis as your holy symbol

Amateurs.
>>
>>48574510
If your player wants to come back from death, he has to roll three saving throws.
A Constitution saving throw against a random Grievous Wound (you can find tables on the internet for that).
A Wisdom saving throw against a random Curse (same).
A Charisma saving throw against a random Madness (DMG).

They come back with their level as current hit points.
>>
>>48574510
Dungeon is permanently enchanted to cast raise dead once every 24 hours. Throw in something gruesome like the whole thing was built to harvest blood for vampires or something.
>>
>>48574717
I love this idea but

> Coming back from the dead is an ordeal. The target takes a -4 penalty to all attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks. Every time the target finishes a long rest, the penalty is reduced by 1 until it disappears.

That would get old pretty fast.
>>
>>48574717
>>48574789
> Throw in something gruesome like the whole thing was built to harvest blood for vampires or something.
These kind of suggestions are what I'm looking for, the "dark forces offer you a gift in exchange for..." also works. I can make up some rules regarding what happens after reviving, but what I need is reasoning behind why it even happens.

I want to design a dungeon that evokes a feeling of being trapped, the only option left being to push forward. Letting in new characters would destroy the effect I'm going for, and with no means of respawning at all if somebody died he'd have to get the fuck out.
>>
>>48574510
All of the other adventurers in the realm were killed off by a mad god's spell that he tailored to hit them specifically. The players were missed because they were chilling in the tower of their friend, NPC McWizardly. In order to undo the spell, the PCs must enter the Dungeon of MacGuffin to destroy the MacGuffin which will reverse the mad god's spell.

NPC McWizardly knows that failure is not an option, so he has prepared a few contingency plans :

- Each player is actually in a magic tank and he's sent out clones. Each player gets 3 clones, and only one clone can be active at a time. If a clone dies, the consciousness returns to the tank and a new clone is sent out. The penalty for death in this case is obviously the loss of all your shit. If you make it back to the spot you died, you might be able to get your shit back, unless whatever killed you stole/destroyed it/is still guarding it and will kill your naked ass.

- Each player is wearing an amulet of unstable resurrection; upon death, the amulet is destroyed, and they are randomly resurrected as another (humanoid) race. If you want to be a huge dick, remove the (humanoid) limitation, and you can end up with a party of badgers and other retarded hijinx.

- Each player is wearing a ring of Time Reversal. They can rewind time by one hour, at the cost of half of their natural life span. If they're something stupid like a golem or an undead creature, they flip a coin. Heads, the time travel destroys them instantaneously, tails, they're fine.
>>
I already have Skyrim, oblivion, the witcher games, POE and Banner saga 2 ost and I have that dnd album too, manyone care to share more western fantasy game soundtracks that I could easily find? thx
>>
>>48574864
If one player uses the ring of time reversal to rewind time an hour, and then a different player in the party uses a ring of time reversal, does it UNDO that first player using his RotR and put them back into the future, undoing the loss of half of his lifespan, or does it rewind time from *that* point an additional hour, and both players are missing half their life span?
>>
Running as many Paladin / Warlock or Paladin/ Sorc multiclass simulations as I can and for the sake of me, I cannot find a ratio that I like

Whatever were you people going on about?
>>
>>48574984
1 Paladin/1 Warlock/1 Sorc/17 Bard
>>
>>48574941
yeah fuck that
>>
>>48575003
Don't forget a level of Cleric and two levels of Wizard so you can also have two different Domains.
>>
File: JESUS.png (38KB, 1036x527px) Image search: [Google]
JESUS.png
38KB, 1036x527px
>go on popular rpg discussion forum
>retards on forum insist its dying
>point out that WotC has stated its the best selling edition ever published by them
>the huge spike in games being played on roll20
>the huge spike in online podcasts using 5e
>the huge spike in fucking everything involving DnD 5e
>"no, it's still dying because ti's a shit game, you faggot"
>turns out they're 3aboos
I hate the internet
>>
>>48574984
I am doing pal 2/sorcerer x right now and it feels pretty good. Using the scag cantrips with quicken or twin nets you two attacks a round that you can smite with, and gives you access to shield, counterspell and haste. You nova much harder than a traditional paladin, have much better spells, and you only lose out on 1 HP per level for going dragon sorcerer.
>>
>>48574984
1 paladin for smite
0-9 of warlock for regenerating spell slots on short rest (with 5 being the "correct" amount, 9 being the max)
1 level of sorc for SP moving
literally anything else from there. though most likely more of a full caster
>>
>>48575036
People are stupid anon, it's not just the internet. Just look at politics, or religion, or really any intellectual topic discussed by commoners.

Also, all /tg/-like forums are shit.
>>
>>48575036
I mean there are at least 3-4 twitch streams that literally bring 20k viewers per stream every time, yeh I do agree on that.
>>
>>48575073
None of what you said works.
>>
File: 1334329164853.jpg (18KB, 366x380px) Image search: [Google]
1334329164853.jpg
18KB, 366x380px
>>48575073
>>
>>48575073
lol this should become copypasta for whenever anyone asks this question again every thread
>>
File: Mantel2-page-001.jpg (1MB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
Mantel2-page-001.jpg
1MB, 2550x3300px
So how would you improve this character once he hits lvl 8? Should I try to boost an ability or just grab a feat? He's a melee Ranger that swaps between Twohanded weapons and Longswords with just a Hand Crossbow in case he needs to be range.
>>
>>48575152
>>48575135
>>48575099
i dont see a problem with what i typed
pic related is my character
>>
>>48575233
str asi
>>
>>48575233
That's a very vague questions and sort of an unnecessary one because 5e is easy to play. Just do whichever one you want and don't worry about how to "improve."
>>
Oo, the Tome of Beasts is out. The poorness is real.
>>
>>48575271
Ah, well I guess my main issue is that I am falling down a lot. Might just be me getting unlucky and having high attack rolls against me or I have been playing this character poorly in combat, (So far I have just been rushing into a fight, taking on a few monsters to fight while the Fighter and the Paladin does the same.) I'm somewhat tempted just to boost Dex so I can grab Medium Armor Master later on to snag more AC but so far everything has been up in the air.
>>
>>48575233
>>48575319
idk might want to just pick up a shield in that case. if i were you i'd want my attack stat up at this point in the game, so strength.
>>
>>48575295
Sorry, I'm kind of new to tabletop: are these guys legit? It says that Wizards commissioned them for some 5e things, but I just want to check.

And by legit, I mean if the material they make is any good and worth using.
>>
>>48575319
Falling down from people tripping you? Slipping on things?

Or do you mean falling down as in your falling behind the rest of the party in effectiveness?
>>
>>48575356
Fair enough then. Been trying to avoid shield for the most part but it is the easiest solution to my problem so far.
>>
>>48575073
>Smite at level 1
>Sorcery Points at level 1
TOP KEK
>>
>>48575389
I mean getting knocked out, been only playing for a few months so I don't know all the terms yet. I guess I should just try to change my play style but so far I have just been treating him as the trap finder and damage dealer which has been going pretty well so far. Issue is I find there is no real tanky character in my party so melee has been split between my Ranger, our Fighter, and our Paladin equally. But I am probably just getting some really high rolls against me.
>>
>>48575366
Kobold is pretty damn awesome, usually. They fucked Tyranny of Dragons, but that was because the rules weren't completely written when they wrote it, and it got butchered in editing by WotC.

The rest of Kobold's stuff is pretty spot on. I'd buy it, were I not surviving on ramen for the foreseeable future.
>>
>>48575470
you're just not going to be as hearty as a fighter, or even a paladin. realistically you shouldn't be the one "tanking" as many enemies as them, you should be flanking their enemies, or even just standing between them trying to kill what they're hitting.
>>
File: 1447804079944.gif (3MB, 250x175px) Image search: [Google]
1447804079944.gif
3MB, 250x175px
>>48575470
>there's a paladin in the party
>he's not tanky
>>
>>48572654
>Theurge
What the fuck is this horseshit? Who thought this was a good idea?
>>
>>48575849

Why does everyone act like 3.0/3.5 didn't have Mystic Theurge as a PrC and it's some new zany dumb idea? It's an old zany dumb idea.
>>
>>48572863
Ok, first keep in mind that they need to learn all of that Domain's spells before snagging any spell on the Cleric spell list. Let's look at the spells those three Domains give to a Cleric, and compare it to the spells a Wizard can potentially learn to see how someone could min-max it to it's fullest:

> Knowledge
Command, Augury, and Speak with Dead are the only spells a Wizard would have to take from Cleric, as he can learn the rest.

> Light
Faerie Fire, Daylight, Guardian of Faith, and Flame Strike have to be learned before they can start nabbing other stuff.

>Arcana (from SCAG)
None; the Wizard can learn all these spells already, so they just need to grab them from someone else's book, or a scroll, or gain it via leveling up otherwise.

So assuming we're talking about a Wizard Theurgist who takes the Arcana Domain, they get access to every spell the Cleric has, assuming they learn the rest of the spells that Domain gets via other means.

For reference, here's some of the things this Wizard could grab:

Spiritual Weapon, Spirit Guardians, Guiding Bolt, Flame Strike, Raise Dead, Revivify, Cure Wounds, Mass Cure Wounds, Heal, Harm, Inflict Wounds, Silence, Lesser Restoration, Greater Restoration, Insect Plague, Blade Barrier, Heroes' Feast, Planar Ally, Fire Storm, Regenerate, Resurrection, Divine Word, Holy Aura, Earthquake, Mass Heal, True Resurrection

Yeah, it's pretty OP once you get past level 10 or so and just start stealing the Cleric's spotlight.
>>
>>48575869
Ur-Priest / Mystic Theurge isn't the issue, it's the continuance of not even trying to balance that shit properly that's a horrible idea.
>>
>>48575884
>Wizards are better healers because they can regain slots on short rests
>>
>>48575884
It didn't say he had to get only the exclusive spells, but all the the domain spells. So it's the same delay for everyone.
>>
>>48575786
Now thinking about it I think our Pally has only been knocked out twice. All I know is he has no shield and so has just been going around with an AC of 16 so far. Our fighter though is kinda in the same boat as me, wants to stick to his pole arm.
>>
>>48572863
17th level powers:

Knowledge:
Learn about a place or object once per short rest, limited by your Wisdom.
Life:
Maximise your healing
Light:
Create a bright aura that gives enemies disadvantage against fire or radiant spells.
Nature:
Gain control of plants and/or animals twice per short rest.
Tempest:
You can fly, when outdoors.
Trickery:
Gain 4 illusory duplicates instead of 1 on that ability you don't use because there are better things to concentrate on.
War:
Resist nonmagical weapons.
Arcana:
RAW, the spells are added to your domain spells, so you still need to swap them in using Arcane Initiate, so this ability actually makes you worse as you can't choose other cleric spells until you learn the new ones, that were on your spell list anyway.

None of those seem fantastic, though War and Life could be powerful depending on how you play.
>>
>>48575943
Your DM has some kind of unconsciousness fetish.
>>
>>48575967
>Light isn't fantastic
>disadvantage against fire spells for free
>>
>>48575991
What else do you call being down to 0hp and making death saving throws?
>>
>>48575926
The delay is only in/if you don't have access to the other spells. But the Wizard's whole schtick is that they can write down those spells from another source into their book, so even if they don't learn those domain spells from leveling up they can learn it from something else. No other class can do that.

That's why, by level 10, they can start learning Cleric spells because they got all the other Arcana Domain spells from being a Wizard.

And at that point it's basically all over and the Wizard starts to do both his job and the Cleric's job.
>>
>>48576031
Dying.
>>
>>48576031
arousing
most people call it downed, but its just "dying and unconscious, making death saving throws"
>>
>>48575943
>>48575470
Try to be smarter about how you fight, is all I can say. You're not sturdy and tanky like the Fighter and Paladin are, so you need to know when to move in and out, try to flank people, don't rush in to things that might get you killed, etc.

I have no real idea how you play, but you said yourself that you're mostly a damage dealer. Therefore, you have to accept that you're probably going to get beat up. Three melee fighters is perfectly acceptable and arguably a bit on the melee-heavy side, so you don't need to worry about that.

Find ways to increase your AC without reducing damage: feats, shield, or better armor. And don't be afraid to do some damage, then just fall back and pelt with arrows.
>>
>>48576066
>>48576075
Thanks.
>>
so we can all agree the only good UA was the psion, right
>>
>>48576104
Too bad it's not even finished and only goes up to 10.
>>
>>48576104
I actually don't mind the new one. There's nothing mechanically wrong with it, personally, and I do like the flavor of the warlock patron quite a bit. Makes me want to player a character who's friends with a Nothic...
>>
>>48576104
Kits of Old was good, this one is good, Gothic Heroes was pretty good, too. Waterborne Adventures had the swashbuckler and storm sorc too, and some of the stuff in Light, Dark, Underdark! was neat.
>>
>>48576104
I thought Rune Priest PrC was also ok, if underwhelming.
>>
>>48576122
Well, the average (above-average, even) game isn't even getting TO 10, much less beyond it, so this isn't a consideration for the majority of players and games.
>>
>>48576086
Thanks, will try and decide between just buffing STR or maybe take Mobile seeing as that would help with the whole engaging and disengaging thing.
>>
>>48576138
There is approximately a 100% chance that the Rune Scribe will be revisited for Storm King's Thunder, with rules and rune items in the actual book, no need for more UA.
>>
>>48576182
It's not going to be a prestige class. That idea got scrapped due to feedback. Instead it's likely to either be variant magic rules or a set of magic items.
>>
>>48572654
How does a Wizard(Necromancy) compare with a Wizard(Theurgy(Death))?
>>
>>48576261
Asking the right questions.
>>
>>48576261
A death domain theurge seems to be decent and dealing damage with necromancy spells, but an necromancer wizard is still a mob king.
>>
>>48576155
Mobile would probably be the best bet because it lets you attempt to deal damage, then just move away. If you manage to deal a decent chunk of damage, the monster might even come after you because he's pissed off. So, you can just lead him around and control the pace of the fight.

And if you're being smart and doing this against monsters that are fighting against your Fighter and/or Paladin, they're going to have to choice between you and him.

That, and 10 feet is a big deal. If your max is 40 and theirs is 30, they'll never catch up to you if there's plenty of room to move around.
>>
>>48576307
Was thinking the same thing. I mean would probably just grab that then focus on just getting STR and DEX up to 18-20 asap.

Sucks my DM wont let use use UA feats cause Blade Mastery would have been my top pick.
>>
>>48576137
I agree with this anon
>>
Has anyone tried out the Deep Magic sets from Kobold Press? I'm curious about them, but too cheap to buy it without a review of some sort.
>>
>>48572654
What happens if you want to cast something like 'bless' during a sequester? It's not a rest feature, but it's something you could do.

Also, it does not say that the cleric spells gained from the wizard-cleric are cast as WIZARD SPELLS.
This means by the wording it might be that you cast them as cleric spells, or basically you use wisdom to cast them?

Seriously though, I hate how it steals so much from the cleric lines and tramples all over it.

The only reason I'm not furious is it has a limited choice of domains, and they do not gain armour/shield proficiencies.
>>
>>48570111
They said they statted the winter's ring for the DMG but it was cut, and will show up in another book.
>>
File: oldmancomp.jpg (20KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
oldmancomp.jpg
20KB, 300x300px
Starting a new game
>Late to chargen
>slow on asking for info
>slow in responding to pre-game questions (had a forum where I asked a few questions re: what kind of game they want
>When he provided his character concept: rogue street rat (Lawful Evil, rest of the party is good or neutral) who wants to become the god of murder.

Too many red flags?
>>
>>48572654
I like both of these, it makes a lot of sense for arcane deities like Mystara or Nethys or whatever. You trade a 1/short DC bump and lose turn/destroy undead. Less fight-y than the Favored Soul.

I love the not-evil pacts too. Making a pact with the Astral Plane is cool.
>>
coolest unusual way to roll stats?
>>
>>48576788
even ignoring lawful evil, he would just become a murder hobo
>>
File: post-5715-1295038435097.jpg (131KB, 342x450px) Image search: [Google]
post-5715-1295038435097.jpg
131KB, 342x450px
Newbie after two pieces of advice here:
Recommended cantrips and spells for a level 2 EK?
Thinking Blade Ward + Fire Bolt for cantrips and Shield, Witch Bolt, and Find Familiar for spells.

Thing is, I have bound a spear as a weapon, making me think I should just use it over Fire Bolt for my spammable ranged damage.

I also feel like I should be taking AoE over single-target spells, meaning Burning Hands might be better than Witch Bolt. Though I do also have 17/19+ AC already so I could drop Shield and have a single-target spell AND an AoE spell.

But Witch Bolt only keeps going if you take no other actions, right? Meaning once I get to where I can cast spells AND attack with my weapon in the same turn, I'll be stuck just channeling Witch Bolt, right?

So confused.
>>
>>48576853
Roll number of players * 21 dice, pick them round robin style.
>>
>playing Princes of the Apocalypse
>a new player arrives as we hop off to fight some Fire cultists in some kind of barn-tower
>he goes for a KO instead of a kill every time
>whatever
>saves a guy who gets thrown out of the top floor of the burning building
>that's a little weird
>fight's over, go around the place looking for the KO'd cultists to kill so they don't run off and report or start shit again later
>nope, New Guy Fighter insists on binding them all and delivering them back to civilization for trial
>somehow convinces the party to go along with it
>mfw it's been six sessions since and we've gone out of our way to try and incapacitate and transport every fucking cultist to either a place where they can receive judgment or can be held securely until we can arrange that
>nothing bad has happened
Is... is this what it means to be a true hero?
>>
File: 8FVk2Fi.jpg (99KB, 570x962px) Image search: [Google]
8FVk2Fi.jpg
99KB, 570x962px
>>48576788
>>When he provided his character concept: rogue street rat (Lawful Evil, rest of the party is good or neutral) who wants to become the god of murder.
def too many red flags, but if you stick with it i would just treat him like some kind of cute retard. like
>yeah sure you are [the god of murder]
>haha yeah buddy
>>
>>48575884

They really do make a better healer than a Life Domain cleric, just because at level 14 they get maximum heals.

But any feature they'll get that lets them deal an extra 1d whatever damage on an attack is totally useless. They're also MUCH more vulnerable to getting their spell book stolen since they can't really copy cleric spells any other way...
>>
File: 110131_sylvari_guardian.jpg (603KB, 700x906px) Image search: [Google]
110131_sylvari_guardian.jpg
603KB, 700x906px
Any advice for a new player playing an Oath of Ancients paladin?

Went with Dex, using a Rapier, Longbow, and Whip and a chain shirt. So 17 AC, +4 to stealth, no stealth disadvantage, etc, at level 3. However, the character seems to suck at everything. Do paladins really suck early on, did I build poorly, or am I playing them wrong?
>>
File: 1470091030844.jpg (27KB, 474x403px) Image search: [Google]
1470091030844.jpg
27KB, 474x403px
>>48576908
>Recommended cantrips and spells for a level 2 EK?
>the rest of your abortion of a post
pic related
>>
>>48576908
witch bolt is surprisingly bad once you fully grasp how the spell works, i would avoid it.
also, the elemental evil cantrips are basically "take me now you sexy fighter" so see if your dm will allow them. failing that, any of the better damage ones would be alright.
your melee weapon is probably going to do comparable or more damage, until youget to the "cantrip + attack" levels, and then cantrip and one attack is going to do the same or more

aoe over single target is a good idea, since that is where fighter falls behind a bit, but realize all of your aoes are going to be lower level, so when you take damage spells, you really need to take the amazing ones.

fire bolt and find familiar are great choices. blade ward is kinda bad, but EK is pretty much the ONLY archtype that makes it an alright spell to use, so feel free to keep it. shield is a fine choice, but you dont cast or learn many, so it would get less use.
>>
>>48576910
This sounds amazing
>>
>>48576967
As long as you insist on using armor that doesn't cause Stealth disadvantage, you're going to be suboptimal from an AC standpoint. There's not a whole lot in the Paladin's kit that supports a sneaky playstyle, so it seems like you'll mostly be relegated to Not Fucking Up When The Party Is Sneaking (which is not fantastic if there's others in your party wearing heavy armor or who have no Stealth skill, since they're going to fuck up anyway) or getting slightly closer to an enemy before stabbing them.

Paladins exist to Smite. Generally this comes at the end of a huge weapon. Sword and board is also viable on Paladins, since they're good tanks, but you're not living up to that potential in medium armor. All you're looking at now with your build is being 1-3 AC behind, so if you're "sucking at everything", you are either rolling like shit or trying to do something a Paladin isn't built to do.
>>
>>48576788
Wanting to become the God of Murder sounds like something from a fanfic. Ask him if he'd settle for becoming an infamous killer, but also ask him why he wants to be something like that.

If his answer is something "it just sounds awesome," give him a little slap to the back of the head.

>>48576946
This is a funny idea. He can be the butt of everybody's joke like Reaper from Overwatch or something.
>>
>>48576910
i don't get it, can you explain?

sorry, not native english speaker
>>
>>48570121
>the vestige of a long dead wizard instills you with some arcane knowledge
>longsword
>a weapon wizards aren't even proficient with

I'd approve if the item was a ring, robe, or staff
>>
>>48577306
>a weapon wizards aren't even proficient with
But elves are. Just make him an elf and it's fine.
>>
File: PZO9229-Kho.jpg (170KB, 1680x1149px) Image search: [Google]
PZO9229-Kho.jpg
170KB, 1680x1149px
>>48576981
I meant level 3, obviously.

>>48577028
I thought Witch Bolt looked meh but everyone else at the table thought it looked great so I figured I was missing something.

Since we're all newbies the DM is keeping us in vanilla books only. So no EE.

>aoe over single target is a good idea, since that is where fighter falls behind a bit, but realize all of your aoes are going to be lower level, so when you take damage spells, you really need to take the amazing ones.
This was why I was asking. I dunno which spells are "great". I don't even know if Familiar is great but it seems good for scouting.

I liked Blade Ward because I'll be able to cast it every turn and still attack and resist normal attacks every round pretty soon. I'd skip it if EK didn't get to cantrip+attack.

When I mentioned I was considering Shield my DM threatened to make us fight Rust Monsters because my EK regularly has had 19-21 AC since level 1 thanks to heavy armor, shield, defensive fighting style, and sometimes Shield of Faith. So I'm thinking I may have enough AC to not bother with Shield. In which case I'd go for Burning Hands, Find Familiar, and maybe Thunderwave or Alarm? Not a whole lot of options since 2 spells must be Evocation or Abjuration.

We don't have an Identify in our group, so would that be better than Find Familiar for now?
>>
>>48576788
>rogue street rat
>lawful evil
>lawful rogue street rat who is also evil
>wants to become the king of murder or what ever

Kick him
>>
>>48576922
Jails cost money anon, as do trials and guards. The reasonable thing to do is kill them, as long as it's 95% chance they won't contribute anything to society. But yes, a goody two-shoes type of character will do it anyway,
>>
>>48577365
Elves are gay and the established lore for "elf ghosts that live in swords" is that they teach the wielder awesome sword skills while they dream-spar, not cantrips.
>>
>>48577561
>jails cost money, as do trials and guards
Theyr'e propping up the economy by providing good-paying jobs to honest jailers. As for trials,
>HEY, Samular Paladin, cast Zone of Truth. Thanks. Now, are you a bad guy? Are you going to continue being an evil shit? Whoops, you set off the magical lie detector--guilty, good bye.
>>
>>48577100
I'm scouting with the Rogue on him, and then if he gets into trouble, I can cover him or hold the line while the rest of the group catches up. He's Protection in style so he stands next to vulnerable allies and helps cover them while attacking with whips or rapier.

Thing is, with only 2/3 spell slots his damage output has been garbage and he's been hit for half his health points every single combat we've done. He just doesn't seem to have the resources yet to do much.

We do have leeway to remake our characters still, so I was considering making him strength-based and going for polearm master/sentinel and heavy armor.
>>
>>48571214
>>48571292
>>48571414

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyGRUsiD

Made some changes I feel are for the better. I'm still stuck on the Revolutionary level 9 ability. I can't think of something appropriate for that slot.
>>
>>48576908

You definitely don't want to use Fire Bolt when options like green flame blade and booming blade exist. Blade Ward is also generally not worth it, it's probably better to get something you can gain utility out of like Prestidignation, Minor Illusion, Mage Hand, etc. Witch Bolt sucks too. Keep Shield, it's one of the best spells for EK.
>>
What's the problem with having Evil party members? So long as they roleplay well and don't try to act evil just to piss off the other players, I don't see a problem with it.
>>
>>48577798
Because they are literally empowering the forces of darkness which we heroes seek to overcome.
>>
>>48577534
Getting Greenflame Blade or Booming Blade is pretty much a must on an EK.

As for level 1 spells, Find Familiar for your school-free pick. Shield, Absorb Elements, Thunderwave, and Magic Missile are all ok picks for the othe two.
>>
>>48577561
Lawful good would have them hanging from trees if they knew for certain they were criminals.
>>
>>48576596
>When you select this tradition at 2nd level, pick a divine domain from your chosen deity’s list of eligible domains.
nah, theurgy can choose any domain. Those 3 are just there as recommendation.
>>
>>48577534
im not saying this to just say "fuck you decide for yourself" but to help you make some spell decisions, you might want to look at some wizard guides. theres a few linked on GiantITP, treantmonks being the "most popular" but i feel like he overvalues alot of specific spells, so make sure you at least glance at the others.
blade ward is exactly what you said, its literally only good because of cantrip+attack. take it if you want it, but dont forget your cantrips are relatively limited

shield is good though, doubly so if you dont plan on ever using a literal shield while fighting. alarm is always useful if you have no one else that can cast it (and didn't use all your spells in a day).

dont forget though, you're a fighter with magic, not a mage with armor. utility/defense/support spells are probably going to be better choices than straight damage.
compare damage spells this way "is this damage spell considerably better than doing 1,2,3,4d12 damage?" there are few that would pass that, even at the lower amount of dice. Burning hands is going to realistically have to hit 3 or more creatures to be worth the cast. magic missile by comparison gets around that by auto hitting

no though, i would consider find familiar superior to identify. unless your dm throws cursed items at you, you can realistically identify an item, with a day+ of use
>>
My friends want to play DnD, im so excited to finally play for the first time. Im so happy, I already made my character sheet.
>>
>>48577306
>>48577365
An elf vestige would actually make a lot of sense here, but now I think I'll make it a wild sorcerer. By some magical fuck up, he got stuck in the sword. And the PCs who could take it have better charisma than intelligence, anyway.
Now, how could I work wild surges into this? Would surges happening on a natural 1 be too much, considering they'll be doing 2 attacks per round?

>>48577563
>awesome sword skills
Which do you suggest?
>>
>>48578064
Pick a maneuver. Once per short rest.
>>
>>48576967
>>48577100
Paladin's do exist to smite, but note that Ensnaring Strike and Blinding Smite can both be delivered by bow.
>>
>>48578157
If you're playing with strict item interaction / draw limitations, switching to bow and sword+shield like that isn't viable in the least. I'd expect most Paladins looking to apply certain on-hit spells at range to look at javelins or another throwing weapon rather than a missile launcher.
>>
>>48578157
Blinding Smite only works with a melee weapon attack. You're probably thinking of Banishing Smite and Branding Smite which both work with any weapon attack. The downside of these smites is you don't get Banishing Smite until level 17 (and its a 5th level spell meaning you can only use it once per day until level 19 when you get your second and last 5th level spell slot), and Blinding Smite doesn't do much in terms of damage compared to the other smites or the Divine Smite feature.
>>
>>48578018
What are you playing, anon?
>>
>>48576967
As this anon>>48577100 said. However, if you insist on keeping your play style (I assume you're dual wielding), consider adding 1 or 2 Fighter level(s). Though you won't get CON save, additional fighting style (TWF, Defense, or even Archery), second wind for more survivability and action surge for more nova damage is nice.
>>
>>48578403
Wizard
>>
>>48576596
>The only reason I'm not furious is it has a limited choice of domains,

You can actually pick any of the available domains, it's just fairly explicit that arcana/knowledge/light are the most thematically and mechanically applicable ones.
>>
Does anyone have a 2minutetabletop.com collection, or any battlemap pack really?
>>
>>48576788
Ask him WHY his character wants to be come the god of murder.

If he has a thought out justification for why someone would want to both ascend to god-hood and have such a specific domain then keep him.

If he goes with "dude cuz it would be badass" then kicking him may be an option...
>>
>>48577600
>Are you going to continue being evil?
This is a ridiculously loaded question and honestly not even answerable by the party in question.

>>48577913
Lawful Good doesn't mean you suddenly want to quell all the evil of the world by hanging them publicly and calling it a day.

>>48577886
Party members are not necessarily heroes and may have no desire to be one.
>>
>>48578452
Hope you have fun anon. :3
>>
File: 1469479410512.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
1469479410512.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
I don't understand what happens when you take damage while using the Druid's Wild Shape ability.
Better check the Player's Handbook...

>When you transform, you assume the beast's hit points and Hit Dice. When you revert to your normal form, you return to the number of hit points you had before you transformed.

That's easy to understand. But that's assuming you take no damage during the time that you're transformed. What if you do?

>However, if you revert as a result of dropping to 0 hit points, any excess damage carries over to your normal form.

By "excess" we're referring to any number of hit points past the animal form's max hit points, right?

So that means that your normal form takes all of the hit point damage that your animal form does, even if it exceeds the animal form's max.

Or does ONLY the excess damage carry back to your normal form?

>For example, if you take 10 damage in animal form and have only 1 hit point left

Are we assuming that the animal form had 11 hit points to start and 1 (animal form hit point) remaining, or that the animal form had 10, is now at 0, and 1 is leftover?

>you revert and take 9 damage.

What the fuck? How? I'm more confused now than when I started.
Why am I too retarded to understand this?
>>
>>48578536
t-thanks
>>
>>48578559
>By "excess" we're referring to any number of hit points past the animal form's max hit points, right?
cat have 10 health
catdruid take 15 damage
catdruid disappear, druid take 5 damage

every time a FORMdruid takes damage that would down its FORM, it turns back into a druid, and takes whatever damage is left
>>
>>48578594
>cat has 10 health

lol thats more than 1st level spell users
>>
>>48578594
Sounds like it's advantageous to Wild Shape because catdruid's hit points would act as a sort of shield to the full damage of the attack
>>
>>48578613
its made up numbers you potato
>>
>>48578613
>>48578648
Cats have 2 hp. Or if you want to stretch the definition, lions have 26.
>>
>>48578559
Think of animal form HP like temporary HP. Losing animal form HP doesn't affect your regular HP. But if your animal form is down to 1 HP, and you get hit for 10, you drop animal form and lose 9 HP from your base HP pool.

If that still doesn't make sense:
Base form: 20 HP
Animal form: 10 HP
In base form, get hit for 4, dropping to 16
Shift to Animal, go to 10 HP
Take 5 damage, go to 5 HP (for animal form, still at 16 in base)
Take 8 damage, revert to base form, go to 13 HP

Hope that helps.
>>
>>48578515
>suddenly
No, but you're not going to risk the lives of your friends or any others by taking a large group of cultists that tried to kill them on a long journey where food and water will be limited. If anything that's one of the most chaotic options out.
>>
>>48578636
yep, thats the exact reason moon druids are immortal at low levels, you have to fully kill them three times per short rest, to make them START taking death saving throws
>>
>>48578559

DRUIDMAN has 10 HP.

When DRUIDMAN turns into a BEAR, he has 20 HP.

If BEAR takes 5 damage, BEAR is at 15 HP. If BEAR decides to revert to DRUIDMAN later, he returns to his original HP of 10.

However, if BEAR takes 25 damage, here's what happens. BEAR HP is only 20. As soon as it hits 0, he will revert forcibly into DRUIDMAN. Now DRUIDMAN is responsible for the extra 5 damage that BEAR was going to take, so his health is now 5.

tl;dr, anything that *exceeds* the HP of your transformation carries over, but nothing else does.
>>
>>48578725
One small difference though: the disintegration spell doesn't care if your natural form has more hp. If it gets you to zero your ass is ash.
>>
>>48578788
Very true. Disintegration's a bitch.
>>
>>48578788
Is that how it works by RAW? Same with the half-orcs thing?
>>
>>48578979
Yes. Your question and the Druid form example are literally examples in last month's Sage Advice compendium. Disintegration kills if you're reduced to 0 HP, full stop. Nothing else can kick in to save you.
>>
File: 1452229882541.jpg (255KB, 1414x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1452229882541.jpg
255KB, 1414x1000px
Question for you, /5eg/. I've got the core rulebooks already (PHB, DMG, MM). What other official releases to date would you consider valuable for somebody who doesn't usually run premade adventures or work in established settings?
>>
>>48579327
Pick up the players companion (free pdf) and if you want the stats for the demon lords look into obtaining the OotA pdf.
>>
>>48579327
That's all you really need. There's also Volo's Guide to Monsters coming out in November, which is an official Wizards release that'll add more monsters.
>>
>>48579327
thats it. alot of the extra stuff you would want is already in the free pdfs on the wizards site itself. the only thing close to (and is nowhere near the same amount of extra stuff) is sword coast

you're done till november nigga
>>
Can an EK use items that say "if the spell is on your class's spell list" if the spell is on the Wizard spell list?

Or do you look at the Fighter class, see no spell list, and not get to cast? Or is it a case of specificity trumping generalities and EK specificity means fighters of that archetype do have a spell list and it's the wizard spell list?
>>
File: 1463343822163.jpg (277KB, 1280x1912px) Image search: [Google]
1463343822163.jpg
277KB, 1280x1912px
>>48579479
>>48579518
>>48579532
...Damn. I'm really not used to a D&D release where I can go about a year without grabbing any releases and not feel like I've missed out on some shiny new stuff.
>>
>>48578106
So the sword would have some superiority dice then?
>>
File: 1450151360762.jpg (29KB, 343x543px) Image search: [Google]
1450151360762.jpg
29KB, 343x543px
>apply for game on roll20, DM says the most important thing is to have a fleshed out character because it will be "character driven" or one of those other campaign descriptors that don't really mean anything
>write about eight paragraphs for a character that fits the setting and has motivations for being in the campaign
>check campaign today, it's full
>DM said I was going to be in the game but he decided other people would fit better
>check the players
>two girls along with the two guys who were already in the campaign
>look at their applications
>both wrote maybe a sentence about their character, nothing more than a name/race/class and general background (She's an assassin who murders bad people!)

I understand that this is how the world works, but I am rather tilted.

>>48579547
Eknight's spell list is the wiz spell list. if the item requires you to have the spell on your class's spell list, and that spell is a wiz spell, you're good.
>>
>>48579570
yeah, in an effort to hedge their bets after the 4e fuckup, and the MASSIVE amount of splat books in 3.x, they've slowed everything down, and trickle out small shit. that and said "hey, adventures! bitches love the sword coast!"
>>
>>48579570
The only thing "new" they've made that could be helpful from a mechanics standpoint is the Sword Coast Adventure Guide (usually abbreviated to SCAG), which has some new archetypes for some of the classes and a handful of new spells, but by in large most tie in in some way, shape, or form to a part of the Forgotten Realms world.

It's mostly just a fluff book with a tiny bit of crunch, so for a player it's not needed.
>>
>>48579628
Never trust a man who can't turn down pussy.
>>
>>48579628
Man i know how you feel. shit sucks. I finally find a game that fits into my time slot and the setting sounds good. Then I scroll down and there are 100+ applicants. Every Time. I don't even bother anymore. I've just been setting up plans for my own campaign so I can pick and choose people.
>>
>>48579697
bruh iktf

the worst part was that for that campaign I was taking about, I was the very first applicant

I really can hardly blame the dm, I'd rather have grills in my game too honestly, it was just that they got in solely for possessing a vagina
>>
I like both the archetypes in this UA quite a bit.
Good job WotC.
>>
>>48579745
I cant believe i got as lucky as i did to get into my first group. we had a girl in that one.She played a sorcerer and would show up maybe once a month in our weekly game and would only use fire bolt. We would all take turns playing her character when she wasn't there and we were all better at playing her character than her.
>>
So I've got a PC who is a Vampire. One of my limitations was him only being able to use his Charm spell once per Long Rest as opposed to continually spamming it.

He thinks he should be able to use it more, what do you guys think?
>>
How imbalanced would a Druid that wildshapes into monstrosities instead of beasts be?
>>
I'm wanting to make a favored soul (death) sorcerer. Is there a god (dess) of both magic and death in the faerunian pantheon? My character is facinated with death, and trying to achieve immortal life, not necessarily for themselves, but for others.
>>
>>48579964
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Myrkul

Check Myrkul out he might be what you're after.
>>
>>48579898
Just make it so that a target becomes immune to it for 24 hours if they succeed on a save and limit him to one charmed target at a time maybe?
Is "vampire" a status he acquired in-game or is he using some kind of "vampire" as his character's base race?
>>
>>48579904
i would note, theres a VERY short list of monstrosities in the first place
monstrosities themselves arnt the problem, theres a number of non imbalanced choices
but then you get shit like basalisk
honestly, you would have to do a monster by monster yes/no, rather than just allow all monstrosities
>>
>>48579994
He's playing a Human with Vampiric powers added rather than giving him some Vampire race. I took the info from the Monster Manual and nerfed/limited it.

For example he doesn't get any of the Legendary Abilities, etc.

My fear is that I can foresee a time he just spams the Charm spell and any NPC he comes across can't do anything about it - at least the basic ones. His character has massive Charisma and normally talks his way out of things but when it doesn't go right he just Charms them and bites them. Which is fine, that's what Vampires do I am just afraid of seeing it spiral out of my control.

This is an Evil campaign but I've worked hard to ensure it doesn't derail into murder hoboing and so far it's been good which is why I'm afraid of increasing the Charms power.
>>
>>48580041
>>48579898

Team of goody goody vampire hunters show up and kick his shit in.
>>
>>48579990
He sounds cool, now i need to know how to play a morose character. This is exciting playing something out of my norm. (Paladin, face character)
>>
>>48580070
I'd rather not have to resort to something that cheap and I'm not really looking to have him knocked off.

The setting is a Victorianish era and their main enemy is this Wild West Preacher type who's been elusive and fun thus far but they've been building up towards an actual encounter with him. The DC is pretty high and I'm just worried it'll end anticlimactically with him just Charming the guy and that's gg.
>>
>>48580041
One target at a time and Charisma mod # times per long rest may be ok? If it takes his whole action, it's not much different than other "save or suck" spells.
>>
>>48580097
I've used him in an earlier era of my current game to great success and he can be a lot of fun on the moral compass as well.

One of the worshippers became known as the King of Graves and essentially became obsessed with this idea of turning everyone "Undead" and therefore immortal in order to live forever and in his vision, create a society in which genius lives forever, etc etc etc.

A lot of fun when the villain has an almost "noble" intention.
>>
>>48580111
BBEG (or in this case perhaps BBGG?) having legendary resistance is a thing.
>>
Make the priest pretend to be charmed because he's a wily fuck.
>>
>>48580114
That's not bad actually and would be a good inbetween solution. It doesn't really state it in the Monster Manual but is a victim aware of the attempted Charm if he fails? And do they retain their memories during the Charm state if he succeeds and doesn't bite/kill them?

>>48580143
Completely forgot about that thank you for reminding me.
>>
I thought charming was relatively shit this time around? It's advantage on social checks there not even a bonus to them, you can't pull off something not otherwise possible.
>>
>>48579804
the new warlock pact boon needs associated invocations, as it's it's worse than bladelock

>>48579809
last game I played in had a grill DM and a grill player, the dm was pretty bad (her combat descriptions were literally "you hit the guy with your sword and he takes 6 damage") but the grill player was fine

just irks me that even in fucking online D&D girls get special treatment

>>48580111
well if he's a vampire huntery type dude he could easily have massive resistance to that vampire bullshit

ask your player, does he really want to lame everything out with an ability that is kinda bullshit?
>>
>>48580154
This was a plan I had for one of his associates. Essentially they are working towards him through a series of smaller boss fights against his "Magnificent Seven" which are Warforged he built (using the UE race no homebrew shit).
>>
>>48580173
It depends on the spell or effect that charms. They usually have some interesting riders attached for more specific effects.
>>
What is the best place for noobs on the sword coast?
>>
>>48580186
>ask your player, does he really want to lame everything out with an ability that is kinda bullshit?

He isn't trying to be a dick about it per say, it's just the nature of a Vampire and that's completely understandable. So far it's been fun it's just recently he's taken me aside and said that it seems vastly under powered.

Keep in mind as well his main class is a Warlock so that's a whole other reason why I'm nervous about increasing its strength.
>>
>>48580173
This is a Vampire specific Charm ability which is unique and separate from others.

According to my reading of it, it appears that the Charmed target would comply with every order given by the Vampire as it clearly states the victim would even be willing to "protect" the Vampire and if he requests permission to Bite them they comply eagerly.
>>
>>48580167
Depends on whether you rule that the charmed target remembers what it was doing while charmed. I usually rule that the target does remember, since that's usually more beneficial to the PCs (though not always) and the rules don't say that it doesn't recall. But that's really up to you as the DM, given other charms *do* specifically state "the target knows that it was charmed" as a post-charm detail, where the vampire charm doesn't say such.
>>
>>48580216
>he's taken me aside and said that it seems vastly under powered.

Frankly fuck your player. Unless every player in your game gets some stupid racial ability(ies) then he has no right to complain about a racial being up

something about players complaining about a thing their DM allowed them to have that isn't RAW really flares my autism
>>
>>48580296
Yeah that's a good point in complete honesty. I cringed when he told me he wanted to play a Vampire but I took time to craft something reasonable, at least from my perspective, and tried to keep him in check.

So far it's been okay and none of the other PC's have complained to me. You're probably right here in all honesty.

>>48580283
From my understanding of 5e it's "specific trumps general" in terms of rule specification so I guess if it doesn't specifically state otherwise they retain memories.

My other question though is something more pressing, does a charmed victim who survives have knowledge that they were charmed? Or do they just have this weird memory they can't explain?

Arcana check maybe?
>>
>>48580269
Huh. In that case I'd want to deny him that specific strength of charm effect, as it's too much for a PC. Just let him cast charm person.
>>
>>48580186
>the new warlock pact boon needs associated invocations, as it's it's worse than bladelock
I agree it could use 2-3 invocations. I still think it's better than bladelock given bladelocks are still better eldritch blasting than actually using their melee weapon.
>>
>>48580352
The once per Long Rest so far hasn't been an issue and thus far he's used it within reason.

I think after reading through the replies here I'm going to continue to only allow it at once per Long Rest.
>>
>>48580139
Yeah I see myself as a secretive agent of his. Performing my experiments and studies under the guise of rites and ceremonies for the dead.
>>
>>48580343
The specifics usually say "does remember" though, which *might* lead one to believe the default is to not.
I don't think there actually is a general rule for recollection, though I'm inclined to say "yes they do remember", since the "charmed" status mentions nothing about also serving as a functional mind-blank for the duration of the charm.
Very heavily inclined.
>>
>>48580173
Most Charm effects either get you advantage on social checks or temporarily stop someone from attacking you.

But the vampire's charm is different, and basically turns anyone who fails the save into a devoted servant, to the point where you will die for the vampire.

If this player was expecting the latter, then they need to realize just how busted that ability is, because there is no limit on it. At most, I'd let a PC have a similar ability be 1/long rest, and the person it's cast on makes saves every round.
>>
Is there going to be a new thread? I want to aska question but I dont want to ask it here because of the bump limit is up
>>
>>48580437
Makes sense to me actually thanks for clearing it up.
>>
>>48580448
Yeah I guess I'll remake the thread.
>>
>>48580448
I'm sure a new one will get made around the time we hit page 9 or 10, when some anon decides it's time, copy + pastes the starting post, and if they REALLY care about the thread, will post the link to the latest UA in the top and probably come up with a question related to the latest UA.
>>
>>48580448

you can ask twice honey, im sure someone will front you 4chanpostpoints
>>
>>48580457
Yar.
>>
New Thread
>>48580534
>>
>>48575890
The substantial UAs will typically have one or two balance issues on purpose to get more people to respond to surveys and draw out more communicative responses.
>>
>>48581228
>implying wizards is smart enough to do that
>implying it didn't take them 7 weeks to make a npc generator
>>
Is the party having to fight "evil" versions of themselves immediately before the Big Boss cliched at this point? Clones, shadows, simulacrums, whatever.
Thread posts: 360
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.