[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aSoIaF/ General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 38

File: 603_Arthur_Dayne_Side.png (570KB, 723x944px) Image search: [Google]
603_Arthur_Dayne_Side.png
570KB, 723x944px
HBO Ruins Everything Edition

A thread for discussing the setting of George R. R. Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' novels and all related traditional gaming.

Possible topics of discussion include the novels themselves, Green Ronin's licensed rpg, the card and board games by Fantasy Flight Games, general aSoIaF lore and theories, artwork, HBO's adaptation 'Game of Thrones' and the computer rpg, as well as the Telltale series.

A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/6sar1o14399xv/SIFRP

The Lands of Ice and Fire (Maps)
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/q5a5zbkb30uxo/TLoIaF

A Game of Thrones: The Living Card Game
-Tutorial, Rules and Errata
>http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=10&esem=4
-Card Spoilers
>http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/GoTCards.html
-Deckbuilder
>http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/gameofthrones/game-of-thrones-deck-builder
>>
first for azor jon
>>
File: preston.jpg (1MB, 1366x1759px) Image search: [Google]
preston.jpg
1MB, 1366x1759px
So, I know for /tv/'s /got/ general the debate still rages. But how does /aSoIaF/ think about Preston's theories?
>>
>>48554853
Preston is the best, Reddit can go fuck itself.
>>
>>48554888
Preston is shit
>>
>>48554822

Did they just, like, recolor Jaime?
>>
>>48554853
Oh he's absolutely batty that's for sure.

But a handful of the theories make some sort of sense. I'm partial to the the Targaryen genealogy one myself, I think that one easily makes the most sense given the Maester/Hightower influence.

Other stuff makes me wonder what sort of drugs he's doing.
>>
I love his "Ser Pounce is Azor Ahai" video.
>>
>>48554995

Dayne > Jaime

Jaime's still great though
>>
>>48554853
He's a pretty cool guy. I'm not convinced by the whole "the world is a post-apocalyptic wasteland and magic is psychic powers things", but some Targaryens having "dragonriding genes" makes kind of sense.
>>
>>48555276
Shame they fucked up the fight in the show.
>>
>>48555369

>see edition name
>>
>>48554853
He's good for putting ideas in your head for mulling over, but he's very heavy on the conjecture.
My personal fav is his "Quentyn is alive" theory.
Also, there's an associate/friend of preston that managed to explain Roose's motivation for Red Weddingin Robb, just by using a map of the north and a bit of know-how about ships and trade.
>>
File: GoT-Genesis.png (1MB, 1158x737px) Image search: [Google]
GoT-Genesis.png
1MB, 1158x737px
Is the game worth it ?
>>
>>48555446
No aSoIaF game will ever be needed since the CKII mod already exists.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (114KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
114KB, 1280x720px
>>48555446
>>48555478
Clearly forgetting the greatest game of all time
>>
>>48555446

Oh, dear fuck no.
>>
File: 20160731223922_1.jpg (801KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20160731223922_1.jpg
801KB, 1920x1080px
>>48555518
I got that game in a humble bundle. I only played the first part at the wall then i got bored of it.

>>48555478
I see. Shame.

So i will jsut continue with what i was already doing. Could you by any chance tell me if i am playing it correctly ?
>>
In an ideal world, what would be the last sentence of the series?
>>
>>48555610
"And then Macumber opened his eyes and let out a yawn as he stretched. He slowly rose up and began to cook breakfast <insert very detailed description of food here>"
>>
>>48555610
"And in their hands, the daggers."
>>
>>48555594
>in a humble bundle
Me too. I stuck through the wall section, but it didn't get any better.
>>
>>48555359
The Dragonriding gene is all but proven.
Might not literally be genetics as Martin has indeed said there is a magical explanation for stuff, but Valyrian blood isn't SUPER uncommon (Volantis, Lys, the Celtigaers, the Velaryons, the Baratheons) and none of them can control dragons without immediate blood of a Dragonrider family.

The entire Princess and the Queen short story is about that after all.
>>
>>48556194
So some kind of special gene that only exist in some Valyrians or people with Valyrian blood in them ?
>>
>>48556230
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aoFCZGr3LY

Basically it's genetics.
>>
Hasn't Martin confirmed that genetics work differently in aSoIaF, to shut down the questions about the Baratheon line having zero blondes or something?
>>
>>48555610
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
>>
>>48555369
>Shame they fucked up the fight in the show
they did not. Please explain to me how you would have visualized that fight any better.
>>
>>48555594
>So i will jsut continue with what i was already doing. Could you by any chance tell me if i am playing it correctly ?
I don't know, is an awful lot not tending to happen? Cause that's what always happens to me.
>>
>>48556557
You take that time and try to bang your close relatives.
>>
>>48556230
Not exactly.
The Valyrian Freehold was like the Roman Republic, and it was controlled by 20-odd "families" that were founding members, the Freeholding Lords.
These families all had the Dragonrider thing, implied to be done as part of some kind of potent ritual they were all involved in in the distant past. It actually seems to work more or less like warging, only it only works on one animal at once and you remain more aware of yourself while riding it. The Targaryens were perhaps the least of the 20 families, but since they were well away from Valyria when the Doom happened they lived.
Valyrian blood isn't enough as half of Lys and the entire ruling class of Volatis had that; you NEED to he related to a Dragonrider family, and directly related at that. Distant relation isn't potent enough for this power to work.
Just before the Dance of Dragons anyone who claimed they were born out of right of First Night from some Targaryen family that they would be made legitimate heirs of the could bond and ride a dragon. Basically they were running so low on Targaryen's capable of it that they were getting desperate.

This is also probably why the incest thing was so prevelant among the Targs; they knew that if they diluted their bloodline too much they'd loose the ability to control dragons. After the Dance this wasn't impprtant anymore, but that matches the recurring theme of time distorting the truth of why people did things.
>>
>>48556514
Not that guy, but one of Ned's buddies drops his shield for like, no fricking reason. I hate when people do that in TV shows and movies. Use your goddamned shields, people!
>>
>>48556514
By not having Dayne swing two longswords like some anime retard and actually giving him proper Dawn.

Oh yea and actually including all three kingsguards
>>
>>48556514
I'd have made it totally realistic swordfighting, instead of just mostly realistic swordfighting.

(In fairness, I still think it's pretty good.)
>>
>>48556665
To clarify, THAT'S why Dany couldn't control the dragons as they got older.
The Targs never just had the dragons automatically obey them, they needed to go through a bonding process that only worked on just one at a time.
After DowD I'm guessing Dany has finally bonded to one, namely Drogon, but the other two she needs two other people to even hope of controlling them.
>>
>>48556715
So why do the other two follow her?

Is it because they do have some motherly connection or is it Drogon they are following and by proxy her ?
>>
>>48556696
>>48556701
The irony of realistic sword fighting is that to people who don't know anything about sword fighting it looks really unrealistic.

You're gonna have to learn to deal with that one day because historically correct fencing is kind of not a commonly known or understood skill anymore so it's not ever going to get more accurate except on a very rare case by case basis.
>>
>>48556761
>The irony of realistic sword fighting is that to people who don't know anything about sword fighting it looks really unrealistic.
The actual fight did have some good parts among the lousier bits, like how you can see Dayne working his angles so all the stark men are in front of him at once and bunched up so that they can't go for heavy swings without hitting eachother.
>>
>>48556761
But still, two longswords is retarded.

And Dayne was specifically written to have a greatsword. It's a really important part of the character.
>>
>>48556737
Probably the "mama" thing.
The dragons are ultimately just very dangerous animals. They followed her when the were younger because she fed them and gave them water.
But a wild animal even you raise from birth is STILL dangerous when it grows up and you aren't going to be able to tell it what to do because it's still just an animal.

Dany's problem with the dragons is her recurring problem with everything in her storyline; she has no idea how to do anything she wants to do, and unfortunately the people who surround her have little to no knowledge of how to explain things to her.
Tyrion's actually a good sidekick for her because he actually WOULD have knowledge of how to play politics and because he knows everything ever written about dragons.

Selmy gives sound moral advise, but by his own admission he hates the idea of ruling and never wants any more responsibility beyond being a knight.
All of Dany's advisors either are giving bad advise, specialized advise from their narrow experienced POV, or outright lying to her because they benefit from her naïveté.

She's basically trying to play the Total War series for the first time without any instructions except a booklet filled with lincorrect information or outright lies
>>
>>48556846
He's hardly a character in the show.
>>
>>48554853
I will always like him because he doesn't believe the R+L=J theory

Whatever jon snow does is a result of him being ned's bastard son. Every decision that he makes has ned's imprints all over him. For all practical purposes, Ned Stark is JS's dad. Him being a special child of prophecy shits all over his character.
>>
>>48555610
doubt it can be better than the ADWD ending
>>48555693
>>
>>48556865
He's hardly a character in the books either.

But he is the guy who was a famous swordsman and had the ancestral greatsword of house Dayne.
>>
>>48556866
No, you imbecile. It just means that Ned ultimately DOES get to be King, only he does it through his son.
Maybe not his son by birth, but a solid and meaningful family is more then just blood, as evidence by the Lannisters tearing each other apart compared to the solidarity the Stark's showed...except for Sansa of course.

Him being Rhaegar's son only "matters" to Westeros, and if you think that invalidates everything just because of what Westeros thinks then you're kind of missing the part where nearly EVERYTHING everyone in Westeros thinks at large is wrong or unbelievably stupid.
>>
>>48556978
Basically, even though he IS Rhaegar's son, he isn't magically going to become a Targaryen in personally and appearance.
He will always be Jon Stark in his heart, and even if he's forced to take up the Targaryen name nothing will change that.
>>
File: 1407788838945.jpg (65KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1407788838945.jpg
65KB, 900x900px
>>48556514
>>48555369
Wait. I didn't watch the most recent season because season 5 was absolute garbage.

THEY FUCKING DID THE TOWER OF JOY?
NO.
FUCK YOU.
>>
>>48557022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgFPVae1Cb8

Enjoy.
>>
>>48557006
Truly, he is a song of ice and fire.
>>
>>48557058
bravo gurm
>>
>>48557033
this is pretty much exactly as awful as I expected it to be

fuck. I should watch season 6 for the cringe.
>>
File: Battle of the Bastards.gif (7MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Battle of the Bastards.gif
7MB, 480x270px
>>48557089
You should had seen the battle of Winterfell
>>
>>48557089
Do it. It's just priceless comedy at times.

Though it's sad how such a great show has fallen so low. Nothing makes any sense anymore
>>
>>48557223
Please tell me this isn't real.
This is like, shitty football. Even LotR's wildly unrealistic battles looked better then this.
>>
>>48557225
Feminism and not having the books to go off of because GRRM will finish Winds of Winter when the Sun is dead and the universe goes cold.
>>
>>48557223
what is this?
>>
>>48557225
I had already done that at season 5. I think "bad pussy" was about the time I had given up.
>>
>>48557270
Pretty much this, it showed how inept the writers actually are.

>>48557244
Thats not real. Battle of bastards is weird but okay.

But Stannis vs. Roose at Winterfell is just Stannis' army standing in the middle of a field getting trampled by thousands of horsemen who just appeared out of nowhere
>>
>>48557312
Battle of the Bastards. Cant you read ?
>>48557323
Funny that is around the same time i stopped. Heck i know a few people who also stopped there.
>>
>>48557323
Yeah, I heard about/saw that.
I actually thought it was an internet meme and not a real thing until I saw the actual scene. HBO is really awful when left to it's own devices, isn't it?

I mean, at LEAST they could have kept GRRM on writing so that godawful shit like that didn't get the okay.
>>
>>48557323
It gets worse
>>
>>48557372
>>48557368
>>48557341
I don't know how it could possibly get worse, bar the obvious "Bran goes through history and David Hayters his way through all the important backstory of the series."
>>
>>48557368
>I mean, at LEAST they could have kept GRRM on writing so that godawful shit like that didn't get the okay.
Let's not pretend Gurm doesn't have his fair share of bad lines.
>>
>>48557480
He knows how to write a dramatic scene, and how to take his audience seriously, though.
>>
>>48557340
Like, I don't know if she's in the books or not but Yara Greyjoy being bi/a lesbian was the most unnecessary forced thing I have ever seen.
>>
>>48557480
Yea, but in his case it feels kinda tongue-in-cheek
>>
>>48557513
[Asha] Greyjoy, in the books, is pretty straight as a board, even with her sexual appetite. She has a character, and useful things to do in the books, though.
>>
>>48557513
Same as the oversexualiyation of Renly and Loras.

Loras in the books is a famous knight who btw might be gay in the show its just Hey look at how gay he is!

And Renly is the same, plus in the show they made him into too much of a good guy, while he is actually just a charismatic dick
>>
>>48554853
havent seen his stuff yet. any theories about the black "oily" stone that appears at weird places?

Also whats /tg/s opinion on Bran being Bran the Builder?
>>
>>48557585
>who btw might be gay
>might
>>
>>48557585
They never even really tell you about Renly and Loras. Instead the novels treats you like an adult human being and lets you put the dots together.
Neither were really flamboyantly gay either; Loras was as fancy as the series gets, and nobody at all questions if he's "girly" in the novels because he's a damn good knight, if not perhaps a particularly good commander.

Renly didn't seem like a bad guy in the books at all, he just seemed about as morally average as everyone else (meaning with a pretty shaky moral compass mostly revolving around how powerful he was or was not politically) but much friendlier and charismatic like you said.
He could've just executed Caitlyn for instance or held her cruelly hostage, but he instead just told her "no" and treated her well.

He kind of had this weird idea of the "gentleman's" war I think, one borne from a total lack of firsthand knowledge of how savage and unfair war can truly be.
>>
>>48557631
You'd be AMAZED how many people when the books were first coming out argued online weather or not Loras was actually gay or not.
>>
>>48557657
Though it was Renly who didn't think twice before bertraying his own brother
>>
>>48557467
>Bran will go back in time and become Bran the Builder
>>
>>48557711
True, but that just makes him everyone who isn't a Stark, Martell, or Tyrell so far.
And I genuinely don't think Renly wanted Stannis DEAD, I just think he wanted to be King. And he was right about one thing; pretty much nobody would be willing to deal with Stannis as a king because he's too rigid and unyielding. The people that ARE with Stannis now are only still around because they feel as though they're in too deep to get out or because they feel being with him is the best chance to screw their political rivals, like the Florents.

Stannis also didn't like killing Renly either.
Clearly he was able to justify it to himself by claiming that Renly broke the law and thus deserved it, but it's also pretty apparent that Davos' words actually hurt Stannis and that he grapples with the reality of the fact that is barely one step away from being his brother's murderer.
>>
>>48554978

You're shit.
>>
>>48557657
The best description about what Renly is like as a character comes from Cressen, the Maester that acted as the three Baratheon brothers father figure after their real dad died.

“Look at me!" he would shout as he ran laughing through the halls of Storm's End. "Look at me, I'm a dragon," or "Look at me, I'm a wizard," or "Look at me, look at me, I'm the rain god."
The bold little boy with wild black hair and laughing eyes was a man grown now, one-and-twenty, and still he played his games. Look at me, I'm a king, Cressen thought sadly.”

All three of the Baratheon's in the books are extremely tragic characters it seems like. I say it seems like cause we still don't know what happens to Stannis in the books, but if the theme continues, he's going to fail and die horribly.
>>
>>48555359
>>48556194
>>48556230
We already know this isn't true. In the Books documenting the Dance of Dragons, its quite clear that non-Targs can use dragons. Hell, a random bastard sheperd girl gets her own dragon due to positive reinforcement and treating it with respect.
>>
>>48556514
The choreography is terrible, the other Kingsguard die near instantly and he uses two swords for no fucking reason.

There are The Dark Knight Returns tier fuckups in there.
>>
>>48555610
"So off he went, paddling on."
>>
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Deep_Ones

are they just a lovecraft reference?
>>
>>48558225
Not sure what you're getting at but there's absolutely nothing in the Dance of Dragons that makes what you're saying quite clear. It's the opposite. All of the dragon riders recruited by Rhaenyra during the war were related to the old Targaryans in some way except Nettles. She definitely doesn't have the blood or gene or whatever you want to call it, but one special case hardly disproves the theory.
>>
>>48558205
Martin is REALLY good at doing the thing where he can have another character summeraize a single character in just one paragraph. Basically every major character in the novels has gotten that treatment at least once so far.
>>48558225
You are inaccurate, but on the right track.
It's NOT the Tarvaryen NAME that does anything, because it's just a word.
It's direct relation to the dragonrider blood they (and so far ONLY they) have in them.

The Princess and the Queen explains this; nearly ALL the people who came forward to try and bond with a dragon were suspected Dragonseeds, meaning people with Targaryen blood in them because the Targs went around fucking a LOT of people and because less then half a generation before on the Law of First Night was still in effect and thus lots of people in the Crownlands region could in theory claim Targ blood, however distantly. The ones who are accepted have Targaryen blood and their claims are basically all but proven by the short story itself. The vast majority fail and usually die when the dragon injures or kills them outright, kinda like Qunetyn did.

Nettles and her dragon is definitely a weird one, but the Worldbook mentions she never actually rode it or anything; she just fed it and it kept coming back to get fed, just like Dany and her unbonded dragons did.
That said she WAS a bastard from the Crownlands region, so it's at least theoretically possible that she was some by-blow of a Targ, just that we don't know which one.
>>
>>48558308
Yes, they are. That book is the exaggerations of a maester that doesn't really know anything.
>>
>>48558308
Yeah, but they aren't the only one but any means.
Carcosa and Leng are regions far to the east after all, though the Lengese mentioned by the worldbook seem a lot less pure evil then in Lovecraft and Derelth's stuff.
Instead they're just very tall sex positive Asian people who are apparently "the most beautiful people in the world".
>>
Was there ever a House that only cared about bending the knee to iron throne and never sought the Throne itself? Kind of like how the Shogun's clan where in return for the favor of the emperor served as their iron fist that ruled over weaker clans and their subjects?
>>
>>48558544
That's what the Great Houses are, in theory. Also, the Wardens of North, South, etc. Just like how the Shogun was, in theory, always loyal to the Emperor, but wasn't always.
>>
>>48556514
I thought it was alright but could've been better. I wished they would have had Howland Reed armed with a frog spear and had him stab Dayne in the back of the leg at the end of the fight kind of like what happened to Ned when he was fighting Jaime.
>>
>>48558573
Well, in the case of the Shogun he basically superseded the authority of the Emperor entirely. He didn't need to be loyal to the Tenno because the Tenno had no power anyway.

That said, the Emperor's of Japan....eh, they didn't work the same way we think of Emperors as working in say, Rome or whatever.
Their situation was much more complex and in many ways much more limited, which is why so many were only Emperor for a very short period of time before retiring from the position.
>>
>>48558832
I was thinking moreso of the Boshin War when I wrote that, I don't honestly know much about Shogunate Japan before that. I'd love to know more.
>>
>>48558052
>>48558205
You guys just summarized why I love the Baratheons so much.

Robert is such a beautifully melancholic character. He is just really miserable being a king and living with a woman he hates.

Renly is really just a 20-year old kid who doesn't seem to realize what he is doing.

And Stannis, while others see power when they think of the throne Stannis just sees neverending duty. And he is propably going to die horribly, just like his brothers. Though I myself would like to see him as the next LC of the Night's watch, it really feels like job he would love
>>
>>48558879
The Boshin War was kind of a major change, and was really more of a modern political conflict then anything that could be contextualized by older Japan.
But basically the Shogun was more or less Supreme Military Dictator (imagine the Hand of the King with absolute authority over everything and nobody to veto him and you have an idea), which meant he was effectively in control of the country because the warrior class, the Bushi, were under his command. The Gempei War in the 12th century was about determining if the Kuge (the aristocratic class of Japan) would be in command of the country over the power of the Bushi, and they lost, resulting in the Shogunate governments that followed until the Boshin War.

Now, the Mikado (Emperor) was never ACTUALLY called that because he was "Tenno" (Son of Heaven) instead; his function was equally religious as it was political, and thus they generally weren't really allowed to be people or individuals, instead they subsumed themselves in the role of Tenno no matter what. Making big complex political moves when you're not even allowed to have your own personality that isn't predetermined outside formalized religious and state functions is extremely hard, so they used important noble families (the Kuge) they were related to in some way to push forward agendas. Still, the role was extremely stressful (imagine now being allowed to be yourself at any moment of your life as long as you held it) so most Tenno retired from the role and let someone else take it up after several years of being the Emperor.
When the Shoguns took over this didn't really change at all; instead the Kuge that the Emperor used to move policy were neutered and thus there was no real way the Emperor could DO anything except perform ceremonies.

The Boshin War actually was only some about restoring the Emperor but was about the strong resistance the Tokugawa government had to modernization because that did much to strip their control over the country.
>>
>>48559068
Also, it must be said, another major driving force of the Boshin War was about a bunch of formerly-important samurai families supporting the restoration of the Emperor's official power because they knew the Shogunate would never get them their political authority back at any point.
Even though the Bushi caste was abolished and the samurai lost all of their special legal privileges, those families that supported the Emperor in effect became the new aristocracy of the country and got to keep said special privileges under a different legal system, even if they weren't actually called "samurai" anymore.

Japan during the 18th/19th century was a pretty shaky time because it was trying to both modernize and determine what kind of country it wanted to be, and some wanted a more open American-style Representative Democracy with the Emperor on top (somehow, not everyone was very clear on this part) and others (the majority) wanted a more European-style Constitutional Monarchy akin to the British Empire but with the Tenno having civil authority comparable to the Austro-Hunagarian Emperor, the German Empire's Kaiser, or the Czar.
>>
>>48557502

This. Gurm doesn't treat his audience like easily-amused mouthbreathers.
>>
>>48554853
Pretty shit.
>Quentyn is alive and well even though he got incinerated in his own chapter
>Doran is communicating with Bloodraven and Euron through glass candles
>Euron=Daario
The only good theory he's got is that Euron was supposed to take Bran's role but went insane when Bloodraven contacted him
>>
File: nobody's that gay.gif (492KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
nobody's that gay.gif
492KB, 500x250px
>>48557657

There are of course implications. Someone once started razzing Loras, saying he'd stick his sword up the Knight of Flowers so deep it'd reach a place not even Renly found, or something to that effect.

Of course, when asked about this one of Renly's friends pointed out when they marched him up to consummate his weading with Margaery Tyrell, the dude was hard as diamonds. Grantedif she looks anything like her actress then the immortal words of Ray Gillete echo in my mind
>>
>>48556846
>>48556895
Aren't greatswords really impracticable in battle? Especially when you're in a special bodyguard unit and fast drawing times + ability to swing it in close quarters are incredibly important
>>
>>48559677
>Aren't greatswords really impracticable in battle?
Not really.

> Especially when you're in a special bodyguard unit
Greatswords -were- a bodyguard weapon. They were essentially designed as crowd control, for one v many encounters.
>>
>>48559572
Maybe Renly's just not that picky.
In any case I'm pretty damn sure that regardless of what the family's claims are, Margaery was NOT a virgin when she was slated to marry Jeoffery, that's for sure.

Margaery's kinda like "Good Cersei" in some ways.
Just as manipulative and ambitious, but actually gets along with her family very well and understands that it's both more effective and easier in the long run to make people love you rather then fear you, not to mention fairly easy to do when it comes right down to it.
Cersei's good at inspiring lust (both for her and for the power she offers when she comes to you for aid), but not loyalty, and pretty much everyone who's ever fucked her kinda admits to not liking her very much.
I guess no matter how hot you are being narcissistic sociopath is not conducive to making people want to go BACK to bed with you after tapping that the first time.
>>
>>48559677

The point of Dayne was he was able to work past the impracticality of it. He legitimately was the greatest swordsman alive, aside from being one of the most honorable and dutiful men in the realm. Ned stark regretted killing him for the rest of his life.

The show has always had remarkably restrained and weighty sword choreography. The Tower of Joy was on par with the lightsaber fights in the Star Wars prequels in terms of needless flashiness.
>>
In the generic pre war setting, how do I instigate a fight between the Clegane brothers?

Frame Tyrion for a crime that'll piss of Cercei and prepare a serious amount of money to further motivate the Hound to champion for the imp in trial of combat and hope Cercei will get the Mountain to champion for her side?

I suck at scheming, but I really wanna see if I could pull this off.
>>
>>48559677
>Aren't greatswords really impracticable in battle?
Complicated question, and it depends on what you mean by a "greatsword" since there's a lot of shit that falls under the idea of a fantasy greatsword.

>>48559730
>Greatswords -were- a bodyguard weapon. They were essentially designed as crowd control, for one v many encounters.
No, not by any means at all.
What the "greatsword" was designed for again just depends on what the hell kind of "greatsword" you are talking about.
>>
>>48559770
>In the generic pre war setting, how do I instigate a fight between the Clegane brothers?

Put them in the same room together with no witnesses?
I mean seriously, Sandor's been looking for an excuse to kill his brother for fucking years.
>>
>>48559677
It should be pointed out that greatswords in Europe wren't carried in scabbards. They were carried openly similarly to how soldiers would carry rifles on parade. So there would be no fussing over draw time.

>>48559754
> He legitimately was the greatest swordsman alive

This isn't actually true. GRRM has said that Jaime was a better swordsman than Dayne, he just couldn't admit it because he had mythologized Dayne to such an extent he'd become a legendary figure in Westeros psyche.

>>48559772
> No, not by any means at all.

For the most part, yes. Every treaties and book with information on greatsword style weapons (call it the Montante, the Spadone, the Zweihander, whatever) has them in the hands of fighters designated as bodyguards, be it in a civilian or military situation. Whether its protecting artillery, a standard bearer or a city official, the large two handed sword was most often seen as the weapon of a bodyguard who could be expected to encounter multiple opponents.
>>
>>48559823
And to nix it in the bud, there is zero evidence that double handed swords were ever used to disrupt pike blocks. I don't know where that story came from.
>>
>>48559793

This. The two men despise each other and Gregor would've offed Sandor years ago if he didn't have other things to worry about.

>>48559823

>This isn't actually true. GRRM has said that Jaime was a better swordsman than Dayne, he just couldn't admit it because he had mythologized Dayne to such an extent he'd become a legendary figure in Westeros psyche.

Gurm couldn't admit it, or Jaime couldn't admit it? Because if it's the latter, then it's further proof of why Jaime really is one of the best and most interesting characters in the whole work.

Honestly, one of the things I like about ASoIaF is the fact Gurm does subversion right. Contrary to what grognards here and on /lit/ say, he doesn't actually wag anything in your face. Young Jaime was a haughty, arrogant, borderline Nuthin Personnel Kid type of character. But now he's fast becoming one of the most objective and grounded figures in the royal society.
>>
>>48559922
>Gurm couldn't admit it, or Jaime couldn't admit it?
Jaime couldn't admit it.
>>
>>48559823
>It should be pointed out that greatswords in Europe wren't carried in scabbards.
Well, they WERE basically used like polearms in the shape of swords so that's not really that surprising at all honestly.

>This isn't actually true. GRRM has said that Jaime was a better swordsman than Dayne, he just couldn't admit it because he had mythologized Dayne to such an extent he'd become a legendary figure in Westeros psyche.
For all that Jaime is infamous for his skill and talent and reputation I note that he somewhat has an inferiority complex in relation to his father's wits and Cersei making him emotionally dependent upon her over time.
He also tends to grade knights by their actual devotion to chivalry (of which Dayne was a paragon) then pure skill, at least partially because he sees himself as a horrible villain as of the novels timeline and thus not really a true knight at all.

>Whether its protecting artillery, a standard bearer or a city official, the large two handed sword was most often seen as the weapon of a bodyguard who could be expected to encounter multiple opponents.
Hence Empire Greatswords.
>>48559904
Probably some dumbass in the 19th century.
It's ALWAYS some dumbass in the 19th century when it comes to confusing names and terminology revolving around older historical weapons, and I have no idea why.
>>48559922
>But now he's fast becoming one of the most objective and grounded figures in the royal society.
His entire life is a monument to the rank hypocrisy in Westerosi politics.
It's not really so surprising that he'd become objective and stable once he was forced to use his brain because all he needs to do is look at all the bullshit that happened to him and decided that the entire system he's a part of is hopelessly and ruinously backward in many ways.

I think one of the reasons he liked Tyrion so much was that Tyrion is one of the only people who was willing to poke holes in everyone else's inflated egos over that shit.
>>
>>48560004
>I think one of the reasons he liked Tyrion so much was that Tyrion is one of the only people who was willing to poke holes in everyone else's inflated egos over that shit.
Ironically enough, this also makes Tyrion a hypocrite, since he couldn't tolerate the same
>>
>>48559922
>Contrary to what grognards here and on /lit/ say, he doesn't actually wag anything in your face.
The SHOW wags everything in your face.
The novels leave half of everything understated and unsaid at let you figure it out by yourself life an adult human being, which I appreciate.

Like how in those WoW sample chapters it mentions that pirate guy in the stepstones. It's pretty easy to guess who it is as long as you're paying attention, but the characters don't know so he doesn't just slap you in the face with it and lets you figure it out for yourself.
>>
>>48560029
Jaime's a hypocrite too.
His whole family is full of them, except for maybe the incredibly grounded Kevan.
The Starks were kind of the only "what you see is what you get" people, and that's at least partially because Northern politics is comparatively so simple compared to the byzantine plots in King's Landing.
>>
>>48560045
>>48557033

>Wow, is that my father!?
>Because show-watchers wouldn't be able to recognize one of the most important scenes in the books.
>>
>>48560029

Pride is a pretty common curse among Lannisters. It's basically their answer to the Starks' habit of almost Lawful Stupid behavior.
>>
>>48560097
>It's basically their answer to the Starks' habit of almost Lawful Stupid behavior.
Outside of Ned and his brood, the traditional Stark curse has been hot blooded overreaction. His brother Brandon was a more typical Stark than the Reach educated Neddy boy.
>>
>>48560087
HBO has the Hollywood Producer problem; they assume everyone watching the show is as retarded as they are, so they feel the need to spell everything out for them, which has the unfortunate side-effect of making people lazier and lazier as they watch their garbage which actually DOES make them as retarded as they are in some kind of horrible self-feeding vicious cycle.
>>
>>48560119
Brandon was also fostered at Riverrun remember, partially because grandpa Rickeon apparently had some pretty strong southern political ambitions, hence him marrying his kids off to southerners and fostering them to southern lands.
The worldbook actually paints these two flaws as being the most common among Stark rulers; isolationist behavior, and (ironically) a sort of harsh willingness to accept cruelty as the best option in any given situation.

Winter is hard, so they must also be hard I imagine.
>>
>>48560124
>HBO has the Hollywood Producer problem
They used to make shit at that company. Good, original programming. Now they just put their hand into the next guy's pocket.
>>
>>48560165
They also kind of used to show almost exclusively softcore porn at night, so really it's more they had a brief bright spot in the early 00's, rather then "used to be good".
>>
>>48560160
Brandon was fostered at Barrowton, and like to visit the Rills as well
>>
>>48559068

Interesting information, always wondered why Aegon never created a house with that purpose in mind, to serve as the Great House to serve the King.
>>
>>48560119
Neddard was fostered with Jon Arryn, at the Eyrie, along with Bobbert.
>>
>>48560230
I said the Reach, I meant the Vale. Brain fart on my part.
>>
>>48560215
Wasnt that the original plan with the Blackfyre ?
>>
>>48560250
All good. The point was still valid.
>>
>>48560183

>used to

Half of GoT is just softcore porn. Or did you forget the scene where Littlefinger explains his origin?
>>
>>48560183
Explains their lack of ability to produce well-written stuff. They probably just applied the same standards they did apply for the porn.
>>
>>48560257
Nah that was just Aegon legitimizing his favorite son, AFAIK they didn't even have a castle or anything like that, just the name
>>
>>48560215
It's actually pretty smart; that way they have a guy who's job it is to get shit done, but ultimately they're easily replaceable with someone who's loyal to you.
Of course some Hands were better then others (Corlys Velaryon says hi), but that's sometime that's true of all political positions.
>>
>>48560307
>Explains their lack of ability to produce well-written stuff.
HBO redefined television in the early 2000s through producing the best written stuff on tv. Even pre-Sopranos, you had stuff like Oz (the true start of the HBO renaissance)

Call them out on shitty products now, stuff like GoT and True Blood, but for a time they created cinematic television and had the best written material bar none. The Wire, Deadwood, Oz, the Sopranos, all busted the idea about what television 'could be' in one way or another.
>>
>>48560344
Yeah, but if he's not on your side he can fuck your shit up royally (Littlefinger intentionally driving the kingdom into a recession for CHAOSH)
>>
>>48560257
This >>48560313.
The Blackfyres were ennobled but had no lands and no castle outside King's Landing, they basically just had the name and the sword.
Of course Egg the Miserable Fat Bastard was perhaps one of the worst Westerosi kings ever and he fucked everything up after he died literally immediately afterwords, so yeah....
>>48560278
>>48560307
I'm aware. There's a reason "sexposition" became a joke for awhile.
>"Holy shit, there's going to have to be a LOT of talking in this show! Nobody's gonna watch a show where all they do is talk about stuff!"
>"What if instead...they were fucking? Like, fucking while they talked?"
>"Genius!"
Annoyingly it's my gf's favorite part of the show.
>>
>>48560423

>Annoyingly it's my gf's favorite part of the show.

It just gets her in the mood. And while I'm not a huge fan of the show I can think of worse things to watch while my girl gets ready to go.

>Yeah, but if he's not on your side he can fuck your shit up royally (Littlefinger intentionally driving the kingdom into a recession for CHAOSH)

Nothing Littlefinger does is for chaos. He has an endgame beyond just being a petty dick.

At least Book Littlefinger does.
>>
>>48560415
The benefit is that you can easily replace him.
Also, Littlefinger did most of the damage he did while he was Master of Coin.
Which is hilarious because traditionally anything involving county money is looked down upon by Westerosi houses (something that actually strongly resembles real life), but basically Littlefinger got to be where he is because he's good a business and can take advantage of how stupid all the other lords are when it comes to that sort of thing.

Littlefinger's one of the only characters who would be equally or MORE dangerous in a modern setting because his type of person is the type of person that literally runs the goddamn world these days.
>>
>>48560472
And general economic chaos benefits his endgame, since he thrives on unstable times
>>
>>48560504
Yes, but people didn't realize LF was fucking them over, and even think he'd fix their problems
>>
>>48560472
>It just gets her in the mood.
Yeah, that it does.
The bad part is she's the nerdy RPing type too and in our group RPG sessions using this setting I have to remind her to not focus TOO much on her characters tendencies to get involved in that way, otherwise she goes full Magical Realm and it's kinda awkward for everyone at the entire table.

Then again another book series she likes IS basically an entire novel series of softcore to hardcore porn stuff, so I guess I dunno WTF I expected from her has an RPer.
>>
>>48560529
Yeah, because I can think of ANYONE in modern politics who's done things like take people's money and then lie straight to their faces about how much he'll fix all of their problems....
>>
File: tfw he tries to bring friends.jpg (15KB, 200x174px) Image search: [Google]
tfw he tries to bring friends.jpg
15KB, 200x174px
>>48560564

>anon is dating an IRL Asha Greyjoy

Fucking jealous
>>
>>48554822
I think the show is better than the books, am I a bad person?
>>
>>48560592
No, you just prefer spectacle over substance.
>>
>>48556860
How did Jorah give her any bad advice?
>>
>>48560592

You're not a bad person but as >>48560599 suggests you're probably pretty easily amused.

Show's okay, and works best when it follows the books to the letter because the actors are fantastic at channeling their characters. It gets unbearable when it focuses on sex or D&D decide to take the plot in different diections.
>>
>>48559558
You clearly didn't even listen to his arguments for those things. The Euron=Daario thing is mostly for fun and he acknowledges it isn't very likely, but possible in the same way that tommen's pet cat is possibly azhor ahai.

Sarella Sand has infiltrated the citadel and probably does have access to a glass candle, and has obvious ties to Doran Martell. That's just fact. What they are doing with that is all speculation, but nowhere has he said he's communicated with Euron or Bloodraven. The dornish plot is something separate from those two entirely, and Preston thinks it has something to do with Qyburn and the Brave Companions.
>>
>>48560639
Judgement clouded by Love?
Or the fact that he gave good advice but it was all tainted when she learned the truth about him.
>>
>>48560672
And Doran would suddenly know, and start using shit that is widely considered charlatanry, because?

Not to mention that the timeline doesn't fit, since all the magic shit starts when Dany births the dragon, so either Doran's a fucking prophet or he can set in motion plans that would normally take decades to cook up in mere days
>>
File: t1 builder.jpg (61KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
t1 builder.jpg
61KB, 1024x768px
>>48554822
I genuinely think the setting is pretty weak, but at least its not the Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>48554822

Jon Snow is a bit Paul Muad'dib. Or Am I just overthinking a bit.
>>
>>48560728
There is nothing stopping him from communicating with his brothers daughter, who is not even that far away from him. The comet happens at the end of book 1, before Doran or any of the Dornish are introduced as characters. Magic is already in the world and the glass candles are working before we even meet the dude. Timeline does fit fine. Either way that's not even my point. Preston doesn't say he communicates with fuckin bloodraven or greyjoy. Nothing to do with either of them.
>>
File: arianne-martell-10163.jpg (66KB, 676x960px) Image search: [Google]
arianne-martell-10163.jpg
66KB, 676x960px
>>48560584
She's not like supermodel hot or anything, I'm not gonna pretend I married Maegary Tyrell over here or whatever. She's still great though.

And Asha's basically more about ruling and plunder then fucking; she has all of ONE boyfriend in the entire book series and makes a fairly noncommittal "aww, too bad he died I kinda liked him" when he croaks.
Besides, gf plays Dornish women almost exclusively. It's actually easier to deal with since the stronger rights accorded to Dornish women and the mildly more accepting culture towards women warriors actually is a bit more character flexible.
Also, if I'm being honest she likes them because they kind of get away with being huge sluts and nobody even thinks this is weird. She's sorry that Arianne Martell isn't really a thing in the show.
>>
>>48560639
Jorah basically only cared about keeping Dany fully reliant on him one way or another, because he KNEW once she figured out what he was originally doing then she'd drop him like a stone.

Jorah didn't care if she was a good queen or a bad queen as long as they were together and she loved him. He's an extremely sad character.
>>
>>48560831
Messianic characters follow a certain archetype.
And for what it's worth, Jon is WAY less competent the Paul Atreides, but that follows seeing as Dune is populated almost exclusively by hyper-intelligent genetically engineered superhumans as it's upper class with the ability to do shit like mentally train themselves to be biological computers and physically train themselves to have superhuman powers.
>>
>>48560857
I'm just pointing out that his justifications are shitty as fuck
>doran waited until nightfall then asked for a candle when he got a letter from king's landing about his brother
>this totes means he's communicating with glass candles and is not just grieving he lost his brother
>>
>>48560760
Objectively speaking, there's more information in more detail in Faerun then there is about Planetos.
This is partially because while both creators are history nerd types, Faerun was created as a D&D setting with this fully detailed crazy history and a literal map of the migratory patterns of the different ethnic groups and their languages and shit, while Martin has admitted that he starts small and just writes and then kind of lets the details flow out of his writing rather then planning the whole world out ahead of time.

Greenwood was creating a campaign setting for him and his group, Martin was writing a novel series. Completely different objectives even if stupid people have to compare the two things.
>>
>>48561117

Personally I find Planetos compelling enough. Gurm's historical influences are pretty obvious but I don't think that's a bad thing. The setting still has a lot of personality and honestly he's got the cardinal rule of worldbuilding nailed: don't inundate the reader with every single detail about your setting.

A lot of amateur fantasy writers make the mistake of using the story as a vehicle for explaining their worldbuilding. I'm sure Gurm has a lot of details on what Yi Ti is and what it's like, but we won't get a history lesson it until it becomes important to the narrative.
>>
>>48561201
Not saying Planetos is BAD at all, it just has less in-depth detail, objectively speaking. Like, just in terms of how many words written about how many different subjects.
They're both fantasy settings, but so is Howard's Hyborian Age and Tolkien's Middle-Earth, it doesn't mean they're trying even remotely to do the same thing so I usually don't waste time comparing them.

>>48561201
>A lot of amateur fantasy writers make the mistake of using the story as a vehicle for explaining their worldbuilding.
Jesus, THIS. This is such a huge mistake.
>I'm sure Gurm has a lot of details on what Yi Ti is and what it's like, but we won't get a history lesson it until it becomes important to the narrative.
If he does, he'll never explain it in the novels at any point, he has mentioned they'll NEVER go to Asshai or any of the far eastern lands except by perhaps flashback. Assuming Melisandre's flashbacks of course since she's from the area.
>>
>>48561201
>A lot of amateur fantasy writers make the mistake of using the story as a vehicle for explaining their worldbuilding
But isn't that what AFFC largely is? Nearly all of Jaime's, Brienne's and a lot of one shot chapters are just that
>>
>>48561311
There is a lot of character development and thematics to the worldbuilding that happens in AFFC. A lot of people shit on Brienne's chapters, but I think those and Jaime's chapters are some of the best stuff GRRM has ever written.
>>
>>48561201
So in a way its like Greyhawk.

I dont know a lot about Planetos, but the the fact one continent seems like medieval Europe and the other looks like classical antiquity is weird. I should grab the books and decide for myself.
>>
>>48561311

Thing is those chapters are done through a character's perspective and are as much about that person's growth as they are a history lesson.

It's not like Gurm is using the prose to provide detailed notes on setting minutia. Everything we learn about the worldbuilding is colored by a person's experience. Which is how you're supposed to show readers the world.
>>
>>48561080
Fair enough. Keep in mind he does end almost all his videos with "i'm probably wrong about half of this" and he probably is. The thing I took away from his Dorne videos that I'm sure he's absolutely right about though, and that I completely missed in my reading, is that both Doran and his brother are motivated by a Rhoynish restoration, and that Doran is certainly plotting SOMETHING greater than simply teaming up with young griff.
>>
>>48561463
I thought his, his brother's and his nieces' downfall is their thirst for vengeance?
>>
File: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg (101KB, 399x388px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg
101KB, 399x388px
>>48556509

Seriously, fuck you.

I cannot believe that shit happened.
>>
File: 1405134063907.jpg (173KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1405134063907.jpg
173KB, 645x773px
>>48556514

For one, Oswell Whent would have been present.

Second, they could've ditched the double wielding bullshit.
>>
File: True King of Westeros.gif (424KB, 245x138px) Image search: [Google]
True King of Westeros.gif
424KB, 245x138px
>>48561463
>>
>>48554822
>aSoIaF
pleb. people should have moved to a GOOD fantasy setting already. even HP has more merit than this gorefest.
>>
>>48561393
Actually, I have an idea that Planetos is not progressing technologically as it should because it's actually a Hyborian Age-style setting (where in the historical sense their primitive age was not all that long ago) that pretends to be a Late Medieval Europe one in just Westeros.

On Sothoryos they have wyverns which are described EXACTLY like pterodactyls are, and they have "large bipedal reptiles with knives on their feet" there too, Jurassic Park velociraptors.
And given that most of the "mythical" creatures when actually seen in the book look like something out of prehistory (unicorns are actually monstrously huge goat creatures, direwolves are real things, mammoths in the northern areas, sabertooth cats, giants looking like barely-human Neanderthal bear-people, etc) I think that basically Westeros is basically way more advanced then the rest of the planet.

I mean TELL me that the nations and bizarre, unreal customs of Essos don't remind you of something Robert E. Howard would write Conan going through as he carved his way through decadent and alien nations festooned with strange and otherworldly sorcerers who's powers worked less like D&D and more like a horror story?
>>
>>48561512
His brother and nieces downfall for sure, but Doran himself has always acted against that trend. Grrm goes out of his way to mention how both Oberyn and Doran took sentimental trips across the narrow sea to the rhoynar ruins, and Doran himself seems to have been scheming for a long, long time for something. Certainly before Oberyn died and possibly even before King Robert took the throne.
>>
>>48561795
>goes out of his way to mention how both Oberyn and Doran took sentimental trips across the narrow sea to the rhoynar ruins
No he didn't, they just took a tour of the free cities which is pretty normal for a rich young nobleman, rhoynish ruins are pure conjecture
>>
>>48561788
So Planetos is Sword and Sorcery?

Does not look like it seriously. But you description makes some sense. Where are the cosmic abominations? The mad sorceres like Yara, the winged necromancer monstrosities like in the queen of the black coast.

The north? It contrasts a lot with Westeros. Maybe he just wanted to do Europe 1241 and really threw it into Hyboria.
>>
>>48561965

>Maybe he just wanted to do Europe 1241 and really threw it into Hyboria.

This is effectively what Planetos is. The farther you get from Westeros, the more fantastic it gets.
>>
>>48561965
No, sword and sorcery is a GENRE.
But imagine the Hyborian Age with less magic then Conan's time period and you'll see it.
>>48562082
Yeah, exactly.
The Southron realms of Westeros looks like a late medieval period fantasy world, but the farther in any direction you go the crazier it gets.
Gurm said that in the North mail and leather is more the norm then plate and steel, and beyond the Wall they're a barely-above Stone Age society.
>>
File: 162635_orig.jpg (94KB, 505x800px) Image search: [Google]
162635_orig.jpg
94KB, 505x800px
On advice from a friend, I just gone done playing through what is basically one of the ONLY games that really works within the "pseudohistory" genre that the Song of Ice and Fire novels did.

Anyone here know Ogre Battle 64?
Martin's novels read a LOT like the shit that goes down in this game, albeit in a more obviously Japanese fashion.
There's magic-using units in it, but they aren't all that powerful (they're just archers with flair for the purposes of gameplay and archers are actually MORE effective then they are), and the magical elements are never mentioned in-plot and the non-gameplay supernatural elements in the storyline are both weird and treated as distinctly unnatural and terrifying by most characters, with many monsters that aren't common unit types basically being treated as mythological horrors nobody really believes in.

The fact that one of the major characters, a prince, has silver hair and purple eyes is even an plot point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t2cn4qEEAc
>>
>>48561788
>giants looking like barely-human Neanderthal bear-people
Giants are sasquatches. I'm surprised less people have noticed.
>>
>>48562684

Eh I think that's a stretch. IIRC they wear clothes and fashion their own weapons
>>
>>48562641
Oh shiiiiiit! It's been YEARS since I've played that!
And yeah, I know what you're talking about, that's some...really weird parallels between the novels and that game's overall mythology and plot.

>Old kingdom ages ago had a blond-haired blue-eyed people drive away the indigenous culture, like the First Men and Andals
>First Men-style culture kind of lives in the harsher lands, Andal culture lives in the nicer parts
>There's two major religions teaching conflicting things, and the actual history of the war between the two peoples is basically warped by people telling their own version of events for a thousand years
>Everything is because of dynastic politics stemming from an increasingly cruel royal family, a supposedly bastard child from it has purple eyes and silver hair
>Main character descends from the indigenous peoples and not the Andal-type guys
>Supernatural elements are present but the actual plot largely revolves around the dynastic politics and military battles of the setting
>When the mythological supernatural elements show up literally NO ONE is prepared for it, and when they finally show up in force the kingdom's too mired in civil war to really right itself and get it's shit together
>Said supernatural stuff is basically the first signs of an literally apocalyptic conflict, but everyone is way more concerned with their civil war and royal dick-measuring then actually saving the world
>The main character is genuinely heroic as are his motives, but a lot of what ends up going on is full of bittersweet endings and half-victories as you have to make compromises to get where you want to be.

Yasumi Matsuno is fucking amazing game writer.
He wrote Final Fantasy Tactics too, yet another game where medieval-style politics basically determines the course of the entire plot.
>>
>>48562684
I live in the Pacific Northwest.
Yeah, I got that they're Sasquatches.
Though they seem to be like, way larger then Sasquatches are supposed to be.
>>
>>48562684
Explain.
>>
File: 469px-Giant_by_Mike_S_Miller.jpg (104KB, 469x600px) Image search: [Google]
469px-Giant_by_Mike_S_Miller.jpg
104KB, 469x600px
>>48562881
Pretty close artistic approximation of a Westerosi giant based on the book description.
>>
>>48562741
>IIRC they wear clothes and fashion their own weapons
I don't recall that at all.
>>
>>48563163
They had "weapons", but they were basically just huge logs with a few actually trying rocks or something to the ends of them.
No clothes at all though.
>>
File: CnMfgSUVYAA9jUy.jpg (64KB, 953x471px) Image search: [Google]
CnMfgSUVYAA9jUy.jpg
64KB, 953x471px
Morning, /asoiaf/. I am hungover and dying
>>
>>48558267
>he uses two swords for no fucking reason
except to show much more cooler he is than anyone else. Would have been even cooler with him only wiedling wooden training swords.
>>
>>48554822
>Arthur Dayne
>Duel wielding

for what fucking purpose was this a thing?
>>
>>48554822
I'm not gay, but I'd totally polish his Sword of Morning
>>
File: got kinvara.webm (446KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
got kinvara.webm
446KB, 640x640px
Stat me, /aSoIaF/
>>
Which is your favorite of the 7 kingdoms/Riverlands/Crownlands? Least favorite?
>>
>>48565639
Favourite: The Reach
Least favourite: The Iron Islands
>>
>>48565364
OCdonutsteel/10
>>
>>48565639
The north and iron islands are shit
>>
File: ToJ.png (3MB, 713x3649px) Image search: [Google]
ToJ.png
3MB, 713x3649px
>>48556514

Something a little more like this, for starters.
>>
>>48556514
>>48566948
or this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adYm-4-00UE
>>
>>48554853
I like that he's got higher standards for quality than the rest of youtube reviewers.
>>
>>48566967
If this is better than what they did with the scene in the show, I'm really glad I stopped watching after the disaster that was season 5.

At this rate, even Martin never finishing the books would be a more satisfying conclusion than the show could ever hope to deliver.
>>
>>48555610
"And they all lived happily ever after"
>>
>>48567132
Those that didnt get stabbed.
>>
>>48557270
>Feminism
But GRRM is a feminist and his books are filled with feminist subtext. He just isn't some pants-on-head-retarded third-wave feminazi.
>>
Let's play a game, just to gauge people's favourite characters.

The end time has come and past. The last winter has gotten fully underway, and with the White Walkers defeaten man now dreams of the soon-coming eternal Summer.

However, only twelve named Westerosi characters have survived to this point. Who are they?

Rules:
>Essoss is fine, but Arya, Danny, and anyone in the latter's retinue in the books or show must be named if you wish them to survive since they were coming to it before the war.
>POV and major secondary characters are the only ones at risk, you can assume any minor characters you wish survived.
>Characters alive in the books but dead in the show still count.
>>
>>48567250
My survivors:
Jon Snow
Sansa Stark
Arya Stark
Brienne of Tarth
Jaime Lannister
Davos Seaworth
Tormund Giantsbane
Samwell Tarley
Gilly
Brynden Tully
Margaery Tyrell
Aegon Targarya
En

The seven kingdoms are restablished.
Jon marries Val for a political alliance and rules both the North and beyond the wall.
Jaime inherits Casterly Rock and Brienne gets knighted by him because fuck the Seven's will.
Sansa marries Harry Hardyng and is Lady of The Vale once Sweetrobin and Petyr die.
Brynden rebuilds the Riverlands.
Maergery does the same for the Reach, since I /think/ with Loras and co. dead she's next in line without going to second cousins and such.
Not really sure about the Stormlands or Dorne tbqh. Maybe (f)Aegon claims the latter with his false heritage since the Martells are dead?
>>
>>48567250
Hotpie.
>>
>>48567294
Still got Wilas and that other brother.
>>
>>48567294
Stormlands will most likely default to whichever minor house from it can garner the most support from the others, unless some bullshit sees Robert's one noble born bastard/Gendry get legitimized and given it by someone.

That or maybe a Tyrell situation will happen and one house will be uplifted for bending their knee to a conqueror such as Danny.
>>
>>48567337
Oh right, yeah. Completely forgot them.

>>48567370
I don't see any of Bobby's surviving bastards getting anything tbqh. Once Stannis and his family bite the dust the Baratheon house will have no power anymore, and I can't see anyone currently in power desiring to return it to glory.
>>
>>48555610
"And then undead-Jon and Lady Stoneheart made passionate love."
>>
>>48565334
Look, it wasn't great. I would have liked his sword to turn up. But......
If it's not going to be a thing, the duel wielding was cool. It created a very different fight than if it was another guy using a largish sword and no shield.
>>
>>48568235
It wasn't as smart a scene as it could have been, but it was cool and memorable.
>>
>>48568258
All i can remember of it is Dayne letting himself get surrounded and that guy who threw away his shield.
>>
>>48566026
>>48566639
Sorry, forgot to ask, "And why?"
>>
>>48568235

Dawn did show up, it was the sword Maybe plugged into the ground right before their fight.

They just made it smaller for dual-wielding purposes.
>>
Any ASOIAF games happening?
>>
>>48566967
God that choreography is painfully bad.
>>
>>48569156
Yup, mine still is.
It's a pain in the ass to GM, but what can you do?
>>
File: 1415919769157.jpg (61KB, 736x414px) Image search: [Google]
1415919769157.jpg
61KB, 736x414px
>>48569181
Give us a PC/Major NPC lineup if you please.
>>
>>48567198

Gurm's brand of feminism certainly does harken back to a time when the ideology wasn't a circus show.

He really is one of the better authors in terms of writing interesting, dynamic female characters.
>>
>>48569061
>>48568235
Yeah, and remember "born under a bleeding star" and Dawn is a sword that has just been wet with blood and is forged from a star
>>
File: better than the original.webm (965KB, 1190x622px) Image search: [Google]
better than the original.webm
965KB, 1190x622px
>Two sword Dabid
>>
>>48569181
Tell us about it
>>
File: House_Chalstead.png (77KB, 432x446px) Image search: [Google]
House_Chalstead.png
77KB, 432x446px
Post PC ideas you've had for aSoIaF campaigns!
>>
>>48570322
Ran aSoIaF Edition: Old lord dies and gives his three castles to his three sons. All of them believe they should have all of it. They begin to scheme against eachother and build alliances with other houses in attempt to take full control of their family's realm.
>>
>>48569310
Yikes that choreography is shit
>>
>>48560165

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice, my fellow Wire-fan!
>>
>>48570533
That's why a lightsaber edit makes perfect sense.
>>
>>48555610
"The two raised their swords, and swung for one another for, decidedly, one final time"
>>
>>48569310
>>48570533
>Devil's advocate
Not sure how much this affects things, but if all three swords there are Valyrian Steel, would this sort of movement be possible? It is supposed to be lighter after all
>>
>>48570877
That sort of movement is possible with regular steel as well. Swords aren't that heavy, anon.
>>
>>48558916

No reason he can't do both; become lord commander, and then die horribly when the others come.
>>
>>48570877

Dawn is made from some other material than Valyrian Steel.
>>
>>48570877
But they aren't.

Ned's sword and Dayne's sword are regular steel, and Dawn is forged from a meteorite
>>
>>48570877
That's another thing the show gets horribly wrong.

Valyrian steel is meant to be this incredibly razor shape and durable metal that cleaves through things and it among very few remarkable such weapons in existence.

But the show treats them like regular wooden sticks like every other sword, despite the clear contrast the books make of them being, lighter, stronger, and better and more slicing through shit other swords can't
>>
>>48559572

It is commented that Loras looks a lot like his sister, and vice versa. Perhaps like enough that Renly didn't really care..
>>
>>48571072
Only time it is shown i think it is when Brienne cleaves one ofthe riders that is following her and Pod right through his armor.
>>
>>48571072

Every time a head gets cleanly lopped off in the show it's usually from a Valyrian sword though. Not sure if that counts for much.

Also, I give them something of a break on that. It's a lot harder to communicate the superiority of Valyrian steel in a show format than it is in a book.
>>
>>48560215

He did, they were called the Baratheons.

It didn't really work out very well.
>>
>>48569310
Wouldn't a skilled dual-wielding swordman be able to hit with both of his swords at once? How do you defend against that?
>>
>>48571122
I don't think so, Stannis cuts through a head clean in half during Blackwater and Tyrion easily cuts through an ankle with a single clean swing in that ep as well
>>
>>48571102
That's obviously due to Brienne's superpowers, not to some puny metal.

>>48571075
>Jamie and Cersei looks exactly like each other too
foursome when
>>
>>48571152

I don't think either wielded Valyrian Steel during the Battle of Blackwater.
>>
>>48571173
That's my point
>>
File: spin to win...somehow.gif (4MB, 620x300px) Image search: [Google]
spin to win...somehow.gif
4MB, 620x300px
>>48571130
Depends, D&D can sometimes be dum..
>>
There are no Valyrian Steel swords during Blackwater apart from Ice, and that's being held by Payne.

I guess if you count Tarly and Roxton, but I can't remember if Tarly shows up along with Reach forces.
>>
>>48571130
Turning your sword almost horizontal and parallel to your body, then making a windshield wiper motion in front of yourself. Unfortunately, this reduces your offensive options almost to zero.
>>
>>48571201
Godo thing we had those tits to salvage that terrible terrible fight,.
>>
>>48570357
wait so are your players the sons or people sworn to the house? If the latter, presumably they're sworn to one of the sons
>>
File: tumblr_n0x043P27k1sixev5o3_1280.gif (1023KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n0x043P27k1sixev5o3_1280.gif
1023KB, 640x480px
>>48571070

> Dawn is forged from a meteorite
>>
Wait, so is Jaime better than Dayne or isn't he?

Also isn't Garlan supposed to be better than Jaime?
>>
>>48571273
>is
Jaime is a cripple.
>>
>>48571243
Neither. Atleast yet. Just an idea i was toying with,
>>
>>48571072
A sword that's that much lighter wouldn't be too good anyway, it'd loose some the heft needed to do real damage to somebody, and if the edge was sharp enough to compensate then the sword would be impossible to scabbard because it'd cut right through them.

Mass kinda matters...a lot.
>>
>>48570877
If you think swords are THAT heavy then you need to go workout or something.
The reason dual-wielding isn't practical has nothing at all to do with heft.
>>
>>48571308
Its just very awkward to fight with and having to pay attention to three pointy sticks is not that great.
>>
>>48571273
Jaime WAS better then Dayne when he had his hand.
Garlan is better then his brother Loras with a sword, but Loras is his superior when handling a lance (heh).

We don't know how Jaime and Loras compare. Besides, the series has been good at showing that skill is not "power level" and there's a lot of things that can fuck up a superior fighter in combat bad enough that they loose pretty hard.
>>
>>48571308
>>48570928
Never held a real sword, so I wouldn't know.
>>
>>48571273
There are tons of fighters we know nothing of their capabilities.

There's Lyonnel Corbray in the Vale, the guy could be called Ser Murdersalot since he fuck the shit out of everyone who duels him, he's in the low 3x won duels or some shit. He sport a Valyrian sword, this make him double killy for some reason too.

Jaime could be better than Dayne but maybe it was a Dayne on the decline from his peak.

Garlan could be better than current Jaime(pre lost hand) but not the Jaime from the Kingsguard era with Selmy and Dayne
>>
>>48571337
Yeah, swords are balanced all wrong for it. There's a reason those Shaolin martial arts forms with two swords use smaller blades that are weighted differently. Those aren't even really meant for combat even.
>>
>>48571374
>Jaime could be better than Dayne but maybe it was a Dayne on the decline from his peak.
According to Martin, Jaime was just Dayne's superior and always was.
He's like a savant when it comes to fighting, hence his ridiculously young knighting age compared to most.
>>
>>48571374
>>48571348
>>48571273
I don't know where the fuck this meme that Garlan is a death machine came from, since the only time we've seen him fight is in training
>>
>>48571407
It's mostly because Loras is a very good fighter by almost everyone's estimation (even Jaime's) and Loras admits that Garlan can out-fence him if not out-joust him. Plus apparently Garlan makes it a priority to train for 2-on-1 fights, which is both practical and pretty rare.

Nearly no one in the series at all, regardless of skill, is an ACTUAL "death machine" though, with Gregor Clegane being almost the only real example.
Fights in a duel and joust are completely different from battlefield action, and often you can be effective in one and less effective in another, which is why Jaime gets captured on literally his first outing of the War of Five Kings.

Gregor's one of the few who can do both because as it turns out being a nearly eight foot tall giant covered in solid steel and wielding a five foot long sword in one hand is a massive asset in any fight.
>>
File: zsPdUJBr_400x400.png (262KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
zsPdUJBr_400x400.png
262KB, 400x400px
>>48571487
>regor's one of the few who can do both because as it turns out being a nearly eight foot tall giant covered in solid steel and wielding a five foot long sword in one hand is a massive asset in any fight.

He is not that tough
>>
>>48571542
Go capture a windmill Edmure, the adults are talking.
>>
>>48571605
>don't tell your defender your plan
>throw a hissy fit later
rob deserved to become robbwind
>>
Guys, how brutally do you think the freys are going to get anschlussed in TWOW?
>>
>>48571487
>Nearly no one in the series at all, regardless of skill, is an ACTUAL "death machine" though, with Gregor Clegane being almost the only real example.
That makes me wonder, do we know who has the highest kill count in the series proper?
>>
>>48571652
I'm expecting Red Wedding 2: Stoneheart bogaloo
>>
>>48571659
Most likely Gregor
>>
File: image1-34.jpg (151KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image1-34.jpg
151KB, 640x640px
>>48571652
Well, at least the catering will be good.
>>
>>48571629
Literally this.
I can't think of one tactical or strategic reason Robb didn't give forwarning to Edmure that the action on the river is meant as a distraction method to quagmire tywins army.
>>
>>48557705
Billions!
>>
>>48571707
He is a teenager who isnt as smart as he thinks he is ?
>>
>>48571487
Jaime got captured, but he killed a lot of people, didn't he?
>>
>>48571958
Had he actually seen that many battles before losing his hands? He's been a Kingsguard most of his life.
>>
>>48571380
>swords are balanced all wrong for it.
Which type of swords? because there are many different types with different balances used for different purposes.
>>
>>48572091
Two long swords. Arming Swords i would guess.
>>
>>48572096
>long swords are the same things as arming swords
Even in just longswords you have type XIIa, XIIIa, XVa, XVIa, XVII, XVIIIb, XX, XXa, and who knows how many other different that haven't survived or are possible in a non historical world.
>>
>>48572083
Three confirmed, maybe four if he fought in the Greyjoy rebellion
>>
>>48572083
>>48572304
Golden Tooth, Riverrun, Whispering Woods, and it's implied that he's fought a handful of smaller battles with Riverland Lords.
>>
>>48571659
Gregor.
He basically spent the first four books butchering peasants and any stray soldiers he came across while killing so often on "accident" at tourney it didn't surprise anyone anymore.
>>48571958
Not enough that it was mentioned at all in the novel's even once.
Actually what they bring up us that he just kinda threw himself into the fray literally as soon as he was baited and then was immediately captured.

Old Jaime was not a lateral thinker.
>>
>>48572304
He's definitely old enough to have fought in the Greyjoy Rebellion, and since Robert was there as well I can imagine his Kingsguard was too.
>>
>>48572409
Might have been ordered to stay at King's Landing to protect the royal family or something
>>
>>48572385
Actually that was quite a smart decision, if he kills Robb the war ends there and then
>>
>>48572470
He didn't know Robb was there, did he? They baited him with men dressed in Tully colors, I think.
>>
>>48572499
He did, he saw him and killed half his personal guard before he was overwhelmed
>>
>>48572529
I thought we were talking about him rushing into an ambush. By the time he saw Robb the battle was lost and he was done for.
>>
>>48572385
No, didn't he kill a bunch of robbs company at the whispering woods?

I'm gonna check the wiki....

Yep, he kills two Karstarks and a horn wood while trying to reach Robb.

Also, Jaime fought against the kingswood brotherhood, and did well.
>>
>>48572579
Ever heard of a decapitation strike?
If he kills Robb, he'll most likely be put to death but the war's over
>>
>>48572637
>>48572593
I still contend that there was no way he was going to be able to kill Robb there.
>>
>>48572738
Why not? If those three dumb northmen didn't get in the way good ol' Robb would never be King of the North
>>
>>48572860
Those were three of the thirty personal guards he had around him at the time. Enough would have gotten in the way to allow the superior numbers and position of the Stark army to overwhelm Jaime.
Regardless of whether he would've been able to salvage the shitty situation he got himself into, he never should have gotten into it and lost himself and a third of his dad's cavalry.
>>
>>48572964
If he did indeed kill Robb it wouldn't have mattered. Seeing as Theon mentions crossing swords with him and Robb mentions him falling mere feet away from him, it seems like a "want of a nail" thing to me
>>
has anyone used the Wedding Knight module? How was it? Did you use it as a one-off or to start a chronicle? Did your players discover the secret?
>>
Anyone got any stories, drama or funny things that has happened in your group ?
>>
>>48573969
>implying anyone on /tg/ has a group
>>
>>48574338
Damn it. I was asking because i dont have a group
>>
>>48574338
>>48574374
Asocial Anonymous
-Hello my name is Anon and I'm an Asocial.
-Hi Anon!
>>
>>48573969
During one of the last legs of my campaign, one of my players convinced the entire party to help him turn the closest Lord's daughter into his wife. Needless to say it was a little jarring. The closest Lord was a Frey, for those who are curious (one of Walder Frey's ancestors).
>>
>>48574704
>it was a little jarring
why?
>>
>>48574704
Freys has children by the boat loads or it just Walder ?
>>
>>48574787
Just Walder as of current info.
That said the fucker is ancient; he was a kid back when Dunk and Egg were still around, so he's see something like three generations come and go while knocking out kids all the while.
>>
>>48574818
How many wives has he gone through ?
>>
>>48574730
Mostly cause it was waifu hijinks after the party lost a huge number of npcs beforehand and they had to hurry back. The most jarring part about it was that it took way longer due to the fact that the one seeking a wife was basically an upjumped arrogant meatshield of a Lord with no social skills whatsoever. The party face had to basically stop him from speaking and you can imagine how well courtship goes when one party is having someone else do the talking.
>>
>>48574855
That sounds like a hilarious trainwreck
>>
>>48574855
It basically killed all tension that was supposed to be building up before the final confrontation
>>
>>48555359
>"the world is a post-apocalyptic wasteland and magic is psychic powers things"
Well, that would at least explain why all the names are written in butchered faux Old English.
>>
Rolled 4 (1d10)

Anyone want to roll a house?
>>
>>48574828
7 or 8, the last one is younger than his 1st kid. Hell I think his last wife his younger than his 1st grand kid.
>>
>>48576022
Fuck it, I'll go it alone then.

Iron Islands it is,
>>
File: coat_of_arms.png (70KB, 432x446px) Image search: [Google]
coat_of_arms.png
70KB, 432x446px
Rolled 5, 5, 5, 3, 2, 2, 5 = 27 (7d6)

>>48576251
>>
File: ASOIAF Starting Realm.png (20KB, 395x293px) Image search: [Google]
ASOIAF Starting Realm.png
20KB, 395x293px
>>48576251
4 is Dragonstone
>>
Rolled 6, 6, 1, 2, 6, 4, 1 = 26 (7d6)

>>48576251
>>
Rolled 6, 2, 4, 3, 4, 1, 6 = 26 (7d6)

>>48576312
If you use the inferior 3d6 method.

>>48576251
>>
File: ASOIAF Starting Ressources.png (31KB, 798x318px) Image search: [Google]
ASOIAF Starting Ressources.png
31KB, 798x318px
>>48576251
Godspeed, anon.
>>
File: House_Reese.png (69KB, 432x446px) Image search: [Google]
House_Reese.png
69KB, 432x446px
Rolled 5, 2, 4, 2, 2, 6, 3 = 24 (7d6)

>>48576251

>>48576362
Thanks.
>>
Rolled 6, 3, 2, 4, 3, 5, 6 = 29 (7d6)

>>48576251
>>
Rolled 3, 5, 3, 6, 3, 2, 4 = 26 (7d6)

>>48576251
Oh shit, just realized we hit bump limit. Three threads in a row.
>>
Rolled 2, 6, 4, 2, 1, 2, 4 = 21 (7d6)

>>48576251
>>
>>48576251
And lastly.
>>
File: House_Lanham.png (94KB, 432x446px) Image search: [Google]
House_Lanham.png
94KB, 432x446px
Rolled 3, 2, 6, 1, 1, 3, 4 = 20 (7d6)

>>48576533
And lastly a fuck up.
>>
File: House_Seling.png (81KB, 432x446px) Image search: [Google]
House_Seling.png
81KB, 432x446px
>>48576544

Fun i had almost just made my own Dragonstone house myself.
>>
Rolled 3 (1d6)

>>48576544
>>48576514
>>48576449
>>48576422
>>48576382
>>48576339
>>48576324
>>48576308
27+10
26-5
26-5
24+0
29+0
26+10
21+0
Defense: 37
Influence: 21
Lands: 21
Law: 24
Population: 29
Power: 36
Wealth: 21
Rolling for Age.
>>
Rolled 5 + 1 (1d6 + 1)

>>48576587
Ah yeah, you guys are the ones who don't have luck with women.

>>48576595
Old
>>
File: House_Acksten.png (76KB, 432x446px) Image search: [Google]
House_Acksten.png
76KB, 432x446px
Rolled 4, 2, 4, 4, 2, 5, 2, 6, 2, 5, 1, 2, 6, 2, 6, 1, 5, 5 = 64 (18d6)

>>48576637
Alright, all six events at once.
>>
>>48576667
Decline, Infrastructure, Decline, Scandal, Victory, Infrastructure. 3-3 Positive and negative events.
>>
>>48576704
How on earth does a house form through the decline event ?

Moved into a castle and then everything around them just fell to pieces ?
>>
File: Decline maybe.png (15KB, 423x140px) Image search: [Google]
Decline maybe.png
15KB, 423x140px
>>48576749
Well the book forgot to change Decline to Descent on the table or vice versa, but here's the explanation.
>>
>>48554853
Eh. Some of his theories are sound, like the similarities between the Children and all the other countless telepathic hivemind races that GRRM has written about before. But then he goes on about how ASoIaF is really a sci-fi story when GRRM on several occasions have explicitly stated that it isn't. Now, that in itself wouldn't bother me as much unless Preston didn't use GRRM's statements in interviews about other things as proof that certain possibilities aren't actually possible.

Not to mention the amount of mental gymnastics he goes through to explain how things that almost certainly are just poor writing as proof that his theories are correct.
>>
Christ some of the armor stats and names need to be reworked badly.
I mean splint armor?
Come the fuck on.
>>
File: 1403327915087.png (3MB, 1368x1837px) Image search: [Google]
1403327915087.png
3MB, 1368x1837px
>>48577734
>vertical metal strips
I choose to assume they omitted the words "rows of" and are really talking about an early type of brigandine.
>>
New Thread

>>48578260
>>48578260
>>48578260
>>48578260
>>
>>48566967
>hightower just throws his helmet away
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.