[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5e General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 355
Thread images: 47

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>July 2016 Unearthed Arcana
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/quick-characters

>Ye Olde Thread
>>48478618

Have you guys used or encountered art at all in your game?
>>
>>48486501
You mean like painting and sculptures in game? I had a side quest planned one time for my party to be guarding a museum for a few days, and on the last night a mage would animate some of the statues and other artwork to attack the party with. The quest never got explored while they were in town and the group broke apart shortly after.
>>
File: 108028.jpg (967KB, 900x1347px) Image search: [Google]
108028.jpg
967KB, 900x1347px
Why don't you guys play Dungeon World instead of D&D 5e? It does everything 5e does except better. You want fast combat? Dungeon World does that. You want bonds and roleplaying? Dungeon World does that. D&D 5e just restricts you with rules and complex class abilities that, let's face it, no one really wants to learn.

Last time I played Dungeon World, my barbarian wrapped a vampire in a bear hug and wrestled him out a window. We are talking about real roleplaying here, not baby 3.5 shit. I don't want to have to roll a bunch of complicated checks just to do something cool. All D&D has is this autistic "lol on a nat 20 you can do anything!" bullshit. Dungeon World doesn't do that; it gives justification to your characters actions with a unique multi-staged success mechanic that leads to interesting outcomes for every action, instead of the boring binary pass / fail of D&D.

It's a superior game in any way. Please give one (1) legitimate reason why you haven't tried it yet.
>>
>>48486581
You really have stooped low this time.
If anyone else replies to you, they'll likely just be a false-flagging troll.

Everyone else, let's just agree to ignore these shitposters. They're in full force today.
>>
So what are some fun ways to flavor a monks punches doing as much damage as a sword/big sword other than just hitting things harder somehow?

Like an obvious one is pressure points, either poking or punching points that cause your 1d4 fist to feel like 1d8. It falls a part a bit when you're punching say a construct but you can still pull it off by saying bullshit like "punching the imperfections in the steel"

What are some other ones?
>>
>>48486501
I use it for introducing npcs, locations, and special items.
I sometimes show it again if said thing has been absent or hasn't been visited for a while.
>>
>>48486622
That the monk literally uses their own weight against them and redirects them into the ground, walls, his waiting knee, whatever.

The monk generates a small burst of ki with every hit or saps their own unrealized ki fighting them on both a spiritual and physical level.

The monk is a conduit and his fighting style invokes the feeling of power and replicates the natural weapons of the various animals his techniques replicate.
>>
>>48486622
It doesn't have to be pressure points, that's usually done with finger punches, monks I imagine as using open hand which is a martial arts technique that allows you to damage internal organs and shake up people's bodies much like hammers and clubs. Of course, them doing as much damage as a sword to an unarmored opponent, and doing anything at all to an armored one, is more fantastical.

In that case, I attribute it to the trope that humans are more fundamentally powerful (they can take more hits and grow much stronger than IRL, even without magic and so on), but weapons on the other hand are just as effective as IRL. So monks aren't just normal humans using fists vs. normal humans with weapons and armor, they are humans with superhuman precision and strength vs. other humans with that as well, but using armor and weapons that don't scale too well with it.
>>
So, I'm currently working on a Dark Sun Conversion for 5e. Looking for feedback.

The link to what I have so far is found here: http://docdro.id/nqAMLbK

What's included:

- Elemental Domains for Clerics, Air, Fire, Earth, and Water
-Gladiator Subclass for Fighter
-A Shit-ton of Psionic Homebrew, including Archetypes, a Full Class, and Feats. Plenty to use in a setting where Psionics is abundant.

Races that still need to be added:
- Mul
- Half-Giant(Very Likely just going to Re-flavor Goliaths for this one)
- Pterran
- Ssurran

Classes that need to be added:
-Dune Trader. Honestly, I'm thinking this will be a Character Background option more than anything else, though it could easily be a Bardic College.

Other Shit that needs to get done:
- Spend time making everything uniform, and decent looking.
- Cut the Wilderness Survival, Environmental Hazards, and other Dark Sun appropriate variant rules out of the DMG, and tack them to the end of the supplement for easy access.
- Re-write the current timeline of Dark Sun so the Sorcerer Kings are still alive, and the setting actually has something to it. Or just re-write the original Dark Sun fluff into the Doc.
>>
File: Bitch no.gif (493KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Bitch no.gif
493KB, 320x240px
>>48486581
>Please give one (1) legitimate reason why you haven't tried it yet.

Because it was recommended to me by a faggot so faggoty he had to spam a topic about a completely different game in his utterly pathetic desperate attempt to get me to try it.
>>
>>48486622
Watch some combat sports or MA movies.

>>48486501
I pulled some Dorian Gray like shenanigans with the last boss.

Also I once used google deep dream to make some pictures, presented them to the players as some paintings they found inside an abandoned castle, and had Madness table fun with them.
>>
Can you put a Super Mario 64 type painting (that teleports you when you step through it) inside of a bag of holding or something similar?

It's not an extradimensional space, but it is a portal of sorts.
>>
File: 114722.jpg (85KB, 450x243px) Image search: [Google]
114722.jpg
85KB, 450x243px
>>48486622

There aren't. Monks are a fucking ridiculous class and always have been. They have always been underpowered, and that's for good reason: they are a fucking stupid idea. Don't give me any of this indo-chinese bullshit, you can't break through metal armor with a fist. It just doesn't fucking work. Nowhere NEAR enough energy to deal even the same damage as an arrow, which deals a measely d6 or d8 in D&D, which refuses to buff ranged weapons, insisting they remain shitty as ever. hell even upgrading longbow to a d10 to represent a goddamn massive arrow punching into your fucking chest, would make sense. But monks? Fuck off, they don't work, they never were, never are, and never will be viable in real-world combat, and they aren't viable in D&D either. Mearls should've deleted them in 5e, but he has such a throbbing schlong for that class it's not even funny.
>>
>>48486622
>just hitting things harder somehow?
Goddamn, I WANT to go into the stuff I've done for Monks as a way to explain all the supposed "inconsistencies" but it just dragged into talking about a non-D&D genre so I can't....
>>
File: 184043116184174.gif (401KB, 269x202px) Image search: [Google]
184043116184174.gif
401KB, 269x202px
>>48486622
kick in the nuts
karate chop that can break stones
ki mastery just giving them straight harder hits
just think about how hard people kick each other in anime and stuff. not that monks are anime, per se, but just imagine how much weight fantasy kicks can have.
>>
>>48486863
Magic ain't real nigga/
>>
>>48486863
>what are wizards
>>
>>48486918
>>48486908
>>48486826
PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO SUCH SHIT BAIT
>>
>>48486888
Go for it.
>>
>>48486934
For real, the bait is all written in the same style. It's so easy to spot.
>>
How would you go about trying to recreate a Force Mage or Master of the Unseen Hand?

Is it possible to make a Wizard school or archetype that reflects one of these without being OP?
>>
>>48487055
>recreate a Force Mage or Master of the Unseen Hand?

The best solution would be for Wizards of the Coast to get off their asses and create feats or even prestige classes to support this.

But because prestige classes were badly done in 3.5, they are an overall bad idea so Wizards won't make any. Once again, Mearls learns all the wrong lessons from past mistakes. He'll run out of design space by 7e before he ever realizes that you can't please all the people all the time.
>>
>>48487055
What are the important elements of those prestige classes? Usually there's a way to get the same effects without the exact same methods in 5e.
>>
>>48486863
FANTASY
A
N
T
A
S
Y
>>
>>48487082
Can you do me a favor?
Change your attitude. You're like some kid fresh out of /b/, what with your caustic personality.
>>
>>48486993
Okay then, but you asked for this.

>How do Monks do more unarmed damage?
Ki in the folkloric stuff it comes from is basically like a special muscle (one located in a sort of metaphysical area above your abdomen, called a Dantien, or Tendan in Japanese) that EVERYONE has. Ki (Qi in it's oldest spelling) is basically a special metaphysical muscle that improves all of your other muscles when you train it, especially specifically for the purposes of striking, as when you engage in heavy physical exertion the Ki "circulates" through your body like blood. Using specific training regimen (as well as deitary and sexual regimens even in some beliefs) you can improve your reserve of qi and your qi circulation through your meridians.
>Why doesn't everyone train it then?
The same reason people sometimes skip leg day; not all exercises exercise the same things, and you need specific training knowledge to improve it.
>But WHY if the training knowledge exists?
This is pretty important, but training your Dantien takes FOREVER. Think like how you start as a little kid before you can become a Jedi and you have a good idea. Training an entire unit of warriors trained in qi manipulation would take around a decade and change, and most STILL wouldn't be very good; they'd be first level Monks at best. Many would drop out of the training due to just how long it takes to get any results.
>Why do they all live in monestaries?
They don't actually, anymore then Fighters all served in an army. A lot DO though because it removes them from distractions that make it harder to focus on their training.
>Why only with some weapons?
Actually, in theory it could be done with ANY weapon of you know the proper exercises, but each new weapon requires a different set of exercises to make it work, sadly.
>Why can some Monks do different effects?
Ki can (in theory) do anything, but unfortunately just like how you can train (in theory) literally all of your muscles to peak condition.
Continued
>>
>>48487111
I was always a fan of the Master of the Unseen Hand theme in that they are essentially a Jean Grey or Superboy level telekinetic.

I was considering buffs to Mage Hand (similar to how Arcane Trickster gets more options), or similar options.

As far as force mage, it's mostly just bonuses to Magic Missile and other Force spells. I guess School of Evocation would be the best thing, that and take magic initiate for Eldritch Blast as well. School of Evo wizard, + Eldritch blast is pretty sick.
>>
>>48487082
Calm down anon. You know, there actually was a 5e prestige class in UA, which in all liklyhood will be finalised and published within the next adventure. Not that prestige are at all necasaarry givin the myirad of ways you can achieve the exact with the mechanics 5e already includes. You might know some that if you weren't just shitposter and actualy knew what you were talking about. As it is, you're just embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>48487169
Continued
Training Ki to do stuff other then "makes ya hit harder/jump higher/healthier" requires a new training regimen for each type of thing; you can't just "extrapolate" new skills and knowledge from what you already know. That would be why you have ninja monks and magic-monks with different sets of skills then normal.
In a way training this stuff is almost like a kind of obsession, the way a Wizard has to be at least LITTLE obsessive to learn the knowledge needed to do his magic, or the way Virt is obsessed with trolling /tg/ because he has no life to speak of.
>Why so often Lawful?
Fuck man, YOU try to do one set of training that takes fifteen fucking years to get results. That would tax ANYONE's patience. But 5e actually does away with it, which is true to folklore; it's just a skill, not a religious discipline. Religion sometimes comes INTO it, but it's not a required part of it.
>What about Dragonball?
Dragonball resembles proper folklore about qi stuff the way Superman's origins resemble actual science; distantly at best. Most Japanese stuff in relation to qi folklore takes it's cues from Dragonball, so it has the same problem.
>So Monks can be evil or Chaotic?
Yeah, basically. A lot of teachers of that kinda shit tend to be...vaguely amoral I guess. For them it's about the skill and the discipline and training, not the usage of it. Some are more morally inclined, some aren't. Some talk a lot of moral game and do nothing at all to support it too and instead just sit there and do nothing. Drunken Masters are an example of a non-Lawful type of qi-using warrior.
>So why Monk?
Out of world, because it's D&D tradition.
In most D&D world's, it can easily be explained by the vast majority of martial arts warriors that people meet coming from monestaries. Most folks probably don't even realize it can have nothing to do with them.
>>
Would a ranged cantrip like GFB be OP?
>>
>>48487122

Can you do me a favor?

Change your attitude, and stop fellating every fucking thing the 5e devs do. Because most of it is fucking stupid.

Especially this "bounded accuracy" bullshit. Because I totally want to wait 5 levels just to get 5% better at doing something. Yeah no. Fuck you 5e.
>>
hey /tg/ can you help me come up with a level 10 or 14 archetype feature?

the archetype itself is similar to a duskblade/assasssin hybrid, burning spell slots to sneak around and empower weapon strikes with different effects.
>>
>>48486580
I like this idea
>>
>>48487242
Telekinesis is still a thing, and Bigby's Hand is pretty good at tossing stuff around too. If your DM rules that your own Athletics proficiency can apply to the checks made by Bigby's Hand, a bard can be even better at moving things around with it than a wizard. Animate Objects can also perform the attack function that 3.5 Telekinesis had.
>>
>>48487334
>>>/b/
>>
File: ColbertGive.gif (1MB, 220x250px) Image search: [Google]
ColbertGive.gif
1MB, 220x250px
>>48487334
>Play 3e
>After a few levels, thanks to a good selection of feats and whatnot, have +20 to hit
>DM is worth his salt and scales the encounters properly, using monsters of an appropriate CR
>Monsters have on average +19 AC
I'm sure that big number feels real good on your character sheet to represent your 5% improvement, doesn't it?
>>
>>48487334
I agreed with you about the prestige classes but you sound like a retard now.
Bounded accuracy is way better than "I have +40 to my attack but the enemy has +38 AC".
>>
>>48487242
>>48487344
Tenser's Floating Disk is a ritual for the times when Mage Hand isn't strong enough to move things for you. Levitate also has some use in moving objects and enemies against their will.

What made the Master of the Unseen Hand different from a regular caster who chose those kinds of spells?
>>
>>48487389
Stop. Don't reply to trolls. There's a few that have been very active this morning, and you're just falling for his bait.

Report and ignore.
>>
>Dming a session for some friends a few nights back
>Get to the last encounter for the night
>the rogue is at low health so he runs away turn 1
>comes back for the last half of the fight when the creature is low on health

Should I give him a full share of the experience even he did nothing but hide for the first half of the fight?
>>
>>48487419
He played his character, so yes.
I just hope the rest of the group chewed him out about it a little though.
>>
>>48487419
First off experience is stupid as hell.
Secondly yes.
>>
>>48486889
I want to play a monk based on Rock Lee so badly
>>
>>48486581
Why does everyone hate dungeon world? I never played it and have no idea how it works, but I see everyone shitting on it all the time.
>>
>>48487487
Ask elsewhere. Don't feed a troll.
Don't reply to this, don't try to derail this thread, just stop.
>>
Anyone wanna critique these ranger archetypes or tell me how to make them better?

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SkpZBnJ_
>>
File: tumblr_mtb3xlMY9c1snz8mgo1_500.gif (996KB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mtb3xlMY9c1snz8mgo1_500.gif
996KB, 500x285px
>>48487480
I think you should do it anon
>>
>>48487638
I don't really recall but that scene looks like it occurred around the time Saskuke was an unstoppable edgy dickbag that only existed to show that just because everyone else got cooler doesn't mean they can keep up with the sauce. I like that Lee seems to at least be doing fine here, not even powered up or anything.

God I feel like Naruto would be 30x better if it didn't feature Sasuke, Sakura, or to a lesser extent Naruto himself.
>>
>>48486501
My players took a quest from the director of the museum to recover stolen paintings, reward was some gold and being immortalized in a painting, will probably say that the painting is a magical motion painting, meaning the characters inside the painting move and shit, like in harry potter
>>
>>48487487
Basically it's a shit game built on the groundwork of a good one.
The fact it won awards for the good parts - lifted from the base game - doesn't help.
>>
Share backgrounds.

http://basicredrpg.blogspot.com/2014/08/5e-background-cake.html
>>
>>48487116
>FANTASY
>A
>N
>T
>A
>S
>Y

Not an excuse.

"le fantasy" is not an excuse for lack of realism.

In fact that very excuse is why fantasy is no longer taken seriously as a genre. Authors can just be like "LOL MAGIC" and overcome any plot hole.

D&D is the same: shitty, shitty writing and worldbuilding, propped by deus ex machina and a rotten magic system meant to justify superhero powerwank that is only emotionally engaging to a child.
>>
File: 1465580584818.png (15KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1465580584818.png
15KB, 500x500px
>ended up with two girls in the group I'm DMing

How did this happen and why are they both barbarians
>>
>>48487385

1) Armor class is not a bonus you fucking dumbass

2) You usually don't get +20 to hit until 10th level or so unless you're a power gamer

3) You still hit more often that at 1st level and can BTFO lower level creatures.

5e is no different with the infinite treadmill. It just does it differently.

>>48487389

Armor Class is not a bonus. It is clear you do not know how to play D&D. Stop talking , child.
>>
File: 1-taloon.gif (56KB, 294x367px) Image search: [Google]
1-taloon.gif
56KB, 294x367px
How do I build a merchant? I was leaning towards nonvariant human bard from the college of lore, who has above average everything but strength and is exceptionally charismatic. I also thought of making a Battle Master fighter to get the same sort of tactics that Torneko himself does randomly in combat, but I wasn't sure how to organize his stats at that point.
>>
>>48487950
idk but they will probably rape your character
>>
File: 1465694759868.jpg (97KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1465694759868.jpg
97KB, 600x800px
>>48487981
I'm the one DMing here so I hope not, he should be very far from here off in a different campaign
>>
File: 1468534895759.jpg (146KB, 789x1274px) Image search: [Google]
1468534895759.jpg
146KB, 789x1274px
>>48487950

Kick them out as soon as you can find an excuse. I had a girl in my group try to start fucking one of my friends and as a result he missed multiple game days. I kicked them both out and sent them a video of me burning their character sheets. After that succubus destroyed my friend's gaming career, I have a pretty much ban-on-sight opinion of female gamers. I'd allow in the fat ones but they fart a lot and in general have a bad attitude.

There are a lot of red flags to watch out for in new D&D players:

> children ("oh sorry I can't come this weekend I have to watch the little guy while my wife is out fucking other men")
> part-time job with unstable schedules ("oh sorry I can't come I have to work that night")
> women ("oh teehee which one is the d20 again?")
> fat people ("oh did I eat all the potato chips? heh, sorry")
> anime faggots ("why won't you let me base my characters off of helsing??")
> people who laugh too much ("lololol I want to play a retarded bard with 5 Int HAHA I ROLLED A NATURAL 20 YOU HAVE TO LET ME DO IT")
> edgelords ("but drow are a core race now. why can't I play one? what do you mean I'll get lynched in every fucking village I go to??")
> gay people ("but the book says I can play as a gay man! I'm gonna go hit on every man in teh city to make the DM uncomfortable. Wait why is my character getting stabbed to death by the town guard??")
> New DMs ("lol so I'm going to basing this campaign off of Skyrim")

Fuck em. All of em. This really should be added as a sticky in advice for DMs of which players to avoid.
>>
>>48486581
Hi Craig!
>>
>>48488046
yeah i'm jk. my group had a girl in it but she left.
another group that i might start and dm for would also have 2 (OR MAYBE EVEN 3) girls in it. we'll see though.
>>
>>48488061
Your list is mostly good, but you should add
>people who get bent out of shape about what other people play
>>
I don't really know if there's a way to go about it, but could you make a character in 5e who just uses natural attacks like bites/claws/tails/breath, some kind of crazy Dragonborn Monk or something?
>>
>>48488098
The most cringeworthy thing I ever saw as a DM came from a woman. Her female character wanted to get engaged in-game to another female character played by a guy (who had saved her character's soul, to be fair) , so she physically roleplayed getting on one knee to present a ring.
>>
>>48488154

The women in my games haven't been bad so much as completely useless. Their contributions to the game, both in and out of combat, could be accomplished by thin air. I do still get amusement out of the one who thought she could Sneak Attack with a Firebolt (which she got from Magic Initiate).
>>
>>48488061
>all them prejudices
You sound like a peach.
>>
>>48488061
>gay people ("but the book says I can play as a gay man! I'm gonna go hit on every man in teh city to make the DM uncomfortable. Wait why is my character getting stabbed to death by the town guard??")
FUCKING THIS
Literally the first thing he did in a game
>your trader caravan circles the wagons and begins starting fires and pitching tents
>"Are there any other dwarves around?"
>two mountain dwarf brothers who run an armor stand
>"I hit on them."
>wait what
>long story short, he fails and the the dwarf brothers call him weird
>for the rest of the campaign he dogs me to put a husbando in his path
>I don't give it to him but I don't kick him becasue the others like him and he's actually a great RPer, plus not many other DnD players on base, have to fight Pathfinder group for playing space
>finally manage to dodge it until is PCS my ass outa there to live ten states away
>>
File: n4temple.jpg (4MB, 3360x4970px) Image search: [Google]
n4temple.jpg
4MB, 3360x4970px
N4-converting anon here again. A big part of N4 is the randomness and organic creation of adventurers, I was thinking about how to best convert this to 5th edition.

Something like:
>three arrays of 1e AD&D Method 1, keep two best arrays
>choose one array from the two you kept, this is your first character
>the other array is for your backup character (N4 has a mechanic where backups can be introduced as part of the story)
>depending on stats, choose race for your characters; need above average DEX/INT for a High Elf, etc.
>race confers no ability bonus, and any cantrips or magical abilities granted by the race must be trained as any class ability (N4 rules)
>any proficiencies or feats granted by race will be available for training or granted when they hit lvl 1
>any non-magical abilities (darkvision, Relentless Endurance, etc.) granted by race are available from creation
>no Dragonborn, because fuck you
>only SCAG Tiefling
>choose or roll one tool proficiency and one skill proficiency, this replaces the ones usually granted by your background

Also, here's the map for the temple of the goddess, intended for use with roll20.
>>
The women in my game are the only ones who take notes, and remember NPC's from 8 sessions ago or keep track of random seemingly innocuous items that end up being important later.

My circle is 90% married late 20's/ early 30 somethings.
>>
>>48488288
Just let them pick or roll a background instead of the proficiency shenanigans. Makes more sense for a lvl 0 commoner.
>>
>>48488277
I never had a problem just saying, "I'm not interested in roleplaying your fantasy love life."
>>
>>48488106

Nah those people can stay.

>>48488258
>You sound like a peach.

What does this even mean.
>>
>>48488277
I have a nearly identical story, except for this part.
>I don't kick him

I put up with it for the session, but never invited him back.
>>
>>48486501
Hey /tg/ what adjusted rules do you guys play with for 5e?

My party has been fiddling with something similar to to 3.5 sunder mechanic were armor can degrade with dmg. Lets say target AC is 15. 1-5 atckr misses, 6-10 defndr dodges, 11-15 armor is hit ticking off 1 point of AC. 15 above target takes true dmg. It upsets me that armor is invulnerable in 5e. AC=Base+dex+Armor. Once the armor value ticks to 0 the gear breaks.

Just wondering if any of you guys have adjusted combat in anyway? 5e combat system just isnt as fluid as I would like.
>>
>>48488331
It means he wants to put his meatwad in your bum-bum.
>>
File: ColbertPopcorn.gif (404KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
ColbertPopcorn.gif
404KB, 256x192px
>>48487965
1) You're right, armor class isn't a bonus. The point was to illustrate that the later 'monsters' in my anecdote had an average AC value 19 higher than those when the player had 20 less to-hit bonus.
2) Yes, and?
3) I never said that you didn't hit often at low levels, just that your chance to hit an 'appropriately scaled' monster doesn't significantly increase. Being able to instagib low CR monsters is unnecessary, as it eliminates them from the DM's toolkit. "Oh, uh, kobolds couldn't touch you guys. Luckily the bad guys behind this plot are ARCTIC KOBOLDS which are exactly your CR and a lot like kobolds but recolored and with an ice attack.:
4) I number my points, that makes me a better deb8r too!!
The "infinite treadmill" isn't a thing in 5e because it isn't infinite. Bonuses max out at a relatively low number compared to previous editions. An attack with maximum proficiency bonus and capped skill is just +11 to hit. There's no need for inflated numbers just for the hell of them, and that's great.
>>
>>48488329
What I said was
>"It is not my responsibility to tailor fun to your exact liking's."
>lol yes it is ur the dm

I kind of miss my old group though. All I have now to DM for is a low-energy roommate and a guy from Texas who would rather spend his weekends getting smashed.
>>
>>48488218

Female D&D players are really only good if you can get them to hook up with you. If they say no, kick them out. That's really the best way to handle it.
>>
>>48488329
>, "I'm not interested in roleplaying your fantasy love life."

That's how you get the entire group flipping out at you

> what's wrong with gay people
> whats wrong with sex
> i bet you don't get laid faggot

I fucking hate this shit. There's sex in every fucking movie out there, just leave it out of my goddamn D&D campaign.
>>
>>48488328
That works better, yeah. Especially considering there's special information and crap for characters with some kind of sailing background (and one is required to safely escape the island).
>>
>>48488340
Medicine. By default it's kinda worthless, and forcing people to take the terrible feat which quickly becomes worthless after a few levels seemed pointless.

Basically how I do medicine is they roll their check and get the following:
<5: They staunch wounds or stabilize someone dying
6-10: Heal 1d2 HP
11-15: Heal 1d4 HP
16-20: Heal 1d4+1 HP
21+ Heal 1d4+2 HP

They can also only regain health from a successful medicine check once per short rest. It's not super useful, but in the level 1-3 range in particular it was great for patching them up a bit between battles.

There's a couple other DM Discretion things, like medicine won't regain health lost from poison, psychic, or other damage types that basic bandages and poultices wouldn't help with.
>>
>>48488353

1) Except they didn't, and hitting became much more common at higher levels.

2) And it was a core part of your example.

3) Yes it does you fucking moron. You hit equal CR monsters MUCH more often at higher levels because attack bonus eclipses AC gains. It also gets to the point where you don't have a fucking 20% chance to miss a fucking 1st level orc, which is fucking retarded.

4)

> The "infinite treadmill" isn't a thing in 5e because it isn't infinite.
> . An attack with maximum proficiency bonus and capped skill is just +11 to hit. There's no need for inflated numbers just for the hell of them, and that's great.

So by 10th level you still have issue hitting low level orcs. So Aragorn would be fucking 20th level given he barely missed a swing? You're retarded.

You only get 20% better at attacking by level 20. That's fucking stupid.

Why not just cap proficiency at +4 and leave it there the entire fucking game? That wouldn't have any inflated numbers either, you fucking retard.
>>
> Clerics send us on a mission to deal with a group of wizards who've been summoning demons from their tower which has randomly materialized in the forest
> Arrive at the tower, looks surprisingly like the one we came from, even has a similar lock
> Get inside, everyone's already dead. Apparently they'd been massacred by owlbears they were creating
> Corpses look exactly like the clerics that sent us, but in evil wizard robes
> Fight a mimic disguised as a table and move on up the tower
> Next floor looks just like the first floor, down to the same furniture and wizard corpses, but instead of the table it's the door that's a mimic
> Looking out the doorway, find out we're on the second tier
> Third tier's just an empty floor with a weird ladder that somehow descends to the basement, but wasn't visible on the floors we visited
> Find a bunch of bears and owls, release them
> Also come across a very small chest mimic in some secret hatch, our rogue kills it
> Decide to leave since we've explored the whole tower and found nobody around, not even their leader
> As soon as we step out, we're standing on a giant tongue
> The tower sprouts arms and legs
> The whole fucking thing's a mimic
> Apparently even the corpses were a part of the tower mimic
> Even though apparently people had been feeding/fusing a bunch of owls and bears
I'm so confused now...
>>
So when our gaming group got together for a new campaign, one of our players went Favored Soul on the basis that another player was playing as a Cleric and so healing was taken care of.

>in the middle of session
>zombies
>zombies everywhere
>Sorc: Hit them with radiant damage anon!
>Rogue: Nah, I'll just use my bow. My goddess approves.
>Sorc: What.
>Later
>Rogue: I'll just go ahead and pick the lock
>Sorc: What the hell?
>Rogue: I have double-proficiency
>Sorc: FUCKING WHAT!?

Suffice it to say he was not amused the "Cleric" was in fact a Rogue who was a priest in training. Sorcerer told me (DM) later that he now welcomed death and hoped a TPK would happen, just to teach the Rogue a lesson about party composition.

Is he right to be upset? Or, should he be THIS salty? The Rogue has since taken Cleric levels, but I know both these anons. The Rogue/Cleric is a dipshit when it comes to "optimization" (in that he likes playing mechanically unsound characters), and the Sorcerer can be a little spiteful when you screw him up. Should I be worried?

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>48488489
>I have to hit every attack all the time or the game isn't cool enough for me
I don't get this.
>>
>>48488606
If the players are non-shit, you don't need a healbot of any kind. Especially not with the lenient full-HP on a long rest system introduced in 5e.
>>
>>48488605
>I'm so confused now...
Just as planned.

>>48488606
>Should I be worried?
Always be worried if you're a DM.
>>
>>48488668
One of them dropped that adventure. Survived, but not by much, and it was the Sorc.

>>48488697
>Always be worried if you're a DM.
Obviously, but should I be more worried than is practical/usual?
>>
>>48488606

Yeah, he actually does have some reason to be upset in that he was misled out of character. He asked about party composition, was given an answer, relied on it, and it came out that the answer he was given was incorrect after he relied on it. That's going to piss off most people.

I don't know if you should be worried, per se, but you should probably brace for some social problems. If nothing else you probably lost a tone of credibility and that's going to be a bigger pain in the long run than a blowup.
>>
>>48488668

You shouldn't need a dedicated healbot but unless your DM is being extremely lenient with the healing kit rules your going to need at least some sort of supernatural healing for when people get dropped during the fight.
>>
>>48486581
>"lol on a nat 20 you can do anything!"
Fuck you! I played your stupid game and the party thief stole my dagger without me noticing WHILE I WAS HOLDING IT IN MY HAND THE WHOLE TIME
>>
>>48487782
i have a huge love hate relationship with naruto, in that i love it, but its fucking stupid most of the time. heres hoping for a Pluto style reboot that adds some good plot and characterization to a show with imo some of the best fights and abilities of all time.
also i miss when they were just wandering around fighting criminal ninja, the end was a little too much super super duper powers for me.
I'm working on homebrewing a bunch of jutsu as half spells have monk abilities, but they aren't done yet, and they aren't done in a kind of embarrassing way, or I would post a WIP.
>>
>>48488608

I don't have to hit every attack, just 95% of them against FUCKING FIRST LEVEL MONSTERS when I am FUCKING TENTH LEVEL

So sick of 5e, it's a fucking whiff-fest and your character hardly improves at all, except for "le new abilities" which are just more once-a-day bullshit to keep track of.
>>
>>48487782
It's from the last fight of Naruto SD, a chibi spinoff focused on Lee. Only video I could find outside of a whole episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE0cNTLP8LY
Still gets kinda beaten up, but it's a better ending than the show itself.
>>
Does anyone use miniatures for their games? Are there any good brands that arent too expensive?

I assume most people either don't use maps for combat or just use other shit to represent their players and monsters.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (28KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
28KB, 1280x720px
Seems like the republicans are out on /tg/ tonight.
>>
>>48488847
I use tokens. Used to use pogs, then went to miniatures, and now I just use generic tokens.
Miniatures are just too much of a hassle, and I personally don't think they ever added much.

Nowadays, I actually prefer to keep things in the "Theater of the Mind" as much as possible, so I actually have largely stopped even pulling out the map all that much anymore, only using it when there's a large group.
>>
>>48488847
I mostly use paper tokens and paper "pawns" but reaper bones are fairly cheap.
>>
File: 20CHR Sorc.jpg (44KB, 428x321px) Image search: [Google]
20CHR Sorc.jpg
44KB, 428x321px
>>48488868
They've been here, Anon.
>>
>>48488847
Two words my friend: Lego Minifigs
Easily interchangeable to be an approximate representation of a character. The more you have, the more you can do with them. Plus there are plenty of people that have buckets of them lying around, and easily purchasable in bulk on ebay.
>>
>>48488847
Certain D&D and Pathfinder minis can be found on places like eBay and Troll & Toad for $1-$2 each. Others are ludicrously expensive, including any named characters and all dragonborn for some reason, but I've kind of used this as a guide for what sorts of encounters to run. Find something you can field twenty of and make a big impression.
>>
>>48488847
I use miniatures and my group loves it. My local game shop sells them at a fair price so that's where I got most of mine. Before the monster menagerie came out I probably only spent like 20 dollars for my collection. After it came out I probably added 80 dollars to that total trying to get a lich.
>>
>>48486581
>6 foot tall 300 pound gnome barbarians dual wielding tridents
>>
Dwarf Wizard(Transmutation).
What's better for a familiar?Bat,mole or maybe something else?
>>
>>48489379
generally one of the flying ones are more useful, bat has lower overall abilities than some, but has blindsight
"mundane" familiars are also a good choice, no one is going to give a cat or rat a second look in a city or cave
>>
>>48488606
That reminds me of a campaign I once joined as a rogue. The DM wanted a more gritty campaign and said he was putting some restrictions on healing magic, specifically that only Clerics and Paladins got it, IIRC. One of the other players said he wanted to be some sort of battlefield medic and I suggested he played a War Cleric, which he hadn't seen before.

Later, during the first session of the game, we're fighting some strong undead. The cleric is busy handling something, so I move in front of him, but the monsters deal a bunch of damage and knock me out with only two attacks. Well, that's fine, he'll get me back up, right? lolno, he didn't pick a single healing spell. Not even one. So I have to sit out of the entire fight, plus a lot of other stuff that happened, and the DM even threw another monster our way, I don't even remember what it was because I wasn't paying attention at all.

I think I had to wait 1h to 1h30 IRL until some I got back up. I never returned to that campaign.
>>
>>48489379
>>48489400
you might also want to think about a blindsight one if you have a lame person in the party, or an advantage perception sight (or at least a high passive perception) one, which i think only includes owl and hawk?
>>
>>48489379
Probably bat.

I've only played a wizard in 5e once (ForeverDM), but it was a racist Eladrin Bladedancer, and I had an Owl as a familiar for Flyby cheesiness.
>>
If someone has some homebrew or nonstandard Maneuvers for a Battlemaster I'd be interested in seeing them.
>>
>>48488606
>teach the rogue a lesson about party comp
look at that tryhard and laugh

if everyone made characters thinking the "cleric" was indeed a cleric, it is the rogues fault. If everyone picked their classes and just shoved "we need a mandatory healer" (which you dont) ONTO the rogue, then they're retards, and the sorc is a double faggot
>>
>>48489452
>think about a blindsight one
i meant darkvision, to pair up with fools that cant see on night watch
>>
>>48489450
So don't get hit?
>>
>>48489400
>>48489452
>>48489465
My first time in wizardry.Why is a flying familiar considered better?The mole will also burrow, i guess.
>>
how broken are the rules for being lightly obscured? to my understanding, it would just let you make a hide check and things trying to see you have disadvantage on checks, right?

would always being lightly obscured basically be like having hide in plain sight then?
>>
>>48489590
You can't hide while being watched even if obscured I think, so unless you're a wood elf and the thing obscuring you is natural, it doesn't help that much. Ambushes and such work much better though.
>>
>>48489554
flying lets them much much easier be scouts, and most flying familiars have higher speed than 30ft, so they can scout faster than a person logically could

theres also some (mostly warlock) cheese you can do people argue about often, about having your familiar drop things on enemies, which obviously would require flying
>>
>>48488830
Math Time.

A level 1 Fighter (assuming 16 str/dex) gets a +5 to their attack roll. An Orc (MM 246) has an AC of 13, so they hit on an 8+, or 65% of the time.

At level 10 this fighter gets +9 to their attack, so they hit on a 4+, so 85% of the time. HOWEVER, they also get 2 attacks, so they will hit (at least once) 97.75% of the time.

So, every Attack action is hitting more than 95% of the time.
>>
>>48489652
how about if i get the mole plant mines i make alchemy-style?
>>
>>48489670
How dare you use math and logic in your argument. What are you, some sort of civilized intelligent creature!?
>>
>>48489490
The "Cleric" said he was playing a Cleric, so the Sorcerer said "cool, so I'll pick something to handle damage while you do your thing".
>>
>>48489507
I mean, I certainly would have made more efforts to not get hit if I knew the fucking cleric had no way of healing people.

>>48489590
You can only hide if you're heavily obscured or if the creatures you're trying to hide from have no line of sight to you. Some features override this, Like the Skulker feat and wood elves' Mask of the Wild.
>>
>>48489590
Hiding doesn't work that way. You can't just keep staying hidden or keep hiding again after people know of your presence (unless there's a good reason).

So many people try to bend the rules so that they can keep hiding over and over again, but you need to remember that sentient monsters are not all that stupid. If somebody in the room just got stabbed or shot by some sneaky fucker, you're going to be aware of his presence and on full alert, even if you don't necessarily see him yet. No matter how good of an assassin you are, the enemy is eventually going to get an idea of where you are or at least be in a way where they won't be caught unaware.

This isn't anime or video games.
>>
>>48489701
most of the alt use of familiars is going to be up to your dm, he might hate some and allow others. logically you could have it at least attempt the mine use, but familiars still arnt super smart (except warlock ones) so it logically cant drag one around while underground and put one under an enemies feet or anything. it definitely could help you with digging and setting up traps though

pretty RAW hard to argue
scout (+ for fly or invisibility)
use items (if they have the dexterity, good luck making a fish open a potion to get a downed ally up)
and store/draw gear from packs (or extra dimensional spaces it can use

it gets more cheesy, but theres alot of raw things they can do, such as activate/use items (now your bat is firing magic missile wands every round)
"use" their poison for you (your pokemon just drools on some swords, or a sprite makes them)
Help every round (kinda cheesy, but it explicitly says they can)

dont forget though that the more cheese you try to get out of it, the more likely your dm is also going to start forcing them to be effected by aoes, or having enemies start to notice it as a scout or something, thus putting it in danger (if its not invisible) and costing you another 10 gold each death
doubly so if you use a variant more "friend" like familiar that could logically leave of its own accord
>>
>>48489764
Sorry anon, but 5e assumes rogues and monsters such as goblins to be hiding every round with their bonus action. If you check out monster creation in the DMG if the even says how Nimble Escape affects CR:

>Increase the monster's effective AC and effective attack bonus by 4 (assuming the monster hides every round).
>>
How does /tg/ deal with a rogue leaving the party due to a player quitting?
>>
>>48489861
You can't do that, sorry. I know that you really want to, but it doesn't.

Nimble Escape states that the Goblin can take a hide action as a bonus action on each turn. Just because you can take an action doesn't mean it will work. The Player's Handbook clearly states that you can't hide if somebody can see you. That Goblin can attempt to hide each round all he wants, but if he's within my line of sight and has no way to break it, he's going to fail to hide each time.

Nimble Escape doesn't let you break the rules and hide in plain sight in a room where the enemy is staring right at you.
>>
>>48489725
yeah the rogue is definately a cunt then
hiding background and fluff things from the party is one thing. hiding mechanical things that changes how the party plays is another
DOUBLY SO if your party isn't first level, and he started with only rogue levels. im even going to go out and presume he doesn't have any "heal" or "magic" related feats, or the acolyte background
>>
>>48489632
>>48489726
>>48489764
Right, so with skulker then its effectively hide in plain sight? What would be a good way to get the 3.5 hide in plain sight ability in 5e? Also, would constantly being lightly obscured be OP then? I get the feeling that it wont but i dont know shit about balance.
>>
>>48489852
>>48489701
one more slightly grim use i forgot

your familiar can set off traps you know are there, and can obviously be resummoned after it dies for time/gold cost
>>
>>48489701
It seems like you really want the mole
>>
>>48490015
Rogue 1, Acolyte Background, and he bought a healer's kit.

Doesn't exactly make up for a couple of Cure Wounds here and there though.

Still, would it have been as bad if he'd been playing a Warlock and claiming to be a Wizard? I ask only because it feels like Rogue-to-Cleric is a bigger difference.
>>
>>48490011
Of course, that's why I stated in another post:
>You can only hide if you're heavily obscured or if the creatures you're trying to hide from have no line of sight to you. Some features override this, Like the Skulker feat and wood elves' Mask of the Wild.
As I said, it assumes that they can hide every round, because most combats don't happen in open fields. The goblins will always want to fight in a place with bushes, trees, rocks, pillars, anything they can use to hide. And so do the rogues.
>>
>>48490022
Firstly, how are you generating constant light obscurity on yourself? That's the big question here.

Secondly, it's not the same as hiding in plain sight.

Thirdly, attempting to hide is not the same as being able to hide. If you have some kind of slightly obscuring fog that follows you around everywhere or something, it's not really going to help because any idiot still knows where you are: standing in that floating fog in the middle of the room.

When you get right down to it, it's up to your DM. I think most DM's are still going to follow the golden rule of hiding: if you don't break line of sight somehow, you can't hide again. The Skulker feat lets you be able to hide constantly in an area where light obscurity is all over the place, such as as a forest with a decent number of trees and a misty swamp.
>>
>>48490149
The warlock in my party hasn't let anyone know he's a warlock. In character, of course. As much as our PCs think he's a wizard, all players know he's a warlock.
>>
>>48490149
probably not, but in that one you can believably fake and hide, rather than just outright lie
"so rogue, what weapon are you using"
"ah, im dual weilding my holy daggers of healing obviously"

"so, wizard, what familiar are you picking"
"uhh.... *looks up what forms an imp can shapeshift* raven, yeah im using a raven"

its certainly better than i presumed though, and level 1 is the bitchboy level of "lets get to fucking level 3 already" so he definitely has time to fix it.
obviously "they're both idiots" is the correct answer though
>>
File: dungeonworldheights.png (219KB, 1092x707px) Image search: [Google]
dungeonworldheights.png
219KB, 1092x707px
>>48489253
>>
>>48490185
Hiding every turn when you have a way to constantly break line of sight is completely different from saying what you said with "Rogues to be hiding every turn with their bonus action."

If you attack me and try to run away and hide, I can just follow you and know where you are, regardless. It all depends on the terrain, but a lot of people really try to abuse hiding and make it into some kind of ninja video game where the enemy just completely loses sight of you like a Metal Gear Solid guard and has no idea where you went.

Moreover, noise gives away your presence. A lot of people forget this. If you hide but fail your stealth checks or just make noise somehow, your cover is blown. There's a lot of things that go into hiding and stealth, and most DM's aren't going to let you hide an entire encounter unless you have a good reason.
>>
>>48490216
Not that anon, but most effects that cause light obscurity cover an area, anyway. even if they know you're inside that 15ft radius sphere of fog, they can't pinpoint exactly where you are, which means they have to guess where you are and make an attack with disadvantage, or make a Perception check with disadvantage before attacking.
>>
So a few weeks back I asked for a bit of help about a potential module or ideas for a 8-12 hour session (broken up into four 2-3 hour segments) for a bunch of 14-18 year olds.

We've finished up three sessions so far, the last one occurring later this week. Just wanted to give a general update about it:

Session 1
> 4 kids show up for start, two others had to drop due to babysitting issues
> Me and the other DM wonder if we might have to have a DMPC there to help keep them alive
> 2 walk-ins show up and join mid-session, which we had room for
> My group nearly dies doing a gathering quest for an NPC in town, stumbles upon a goblin horde camp
> Other group defends a roadside inn a few days out of base town from a raiding goblin party
> Both report to town mayor + high priest, get hired to deal with goblin mess
> notbad.jpg

Session 2:

> Arrive to see we've now got 10 kids wanting to play, the original 6, plus 4 more who they talked to some library reps about upon seeing the fliers and hearing about it from their friends
> other DM and I split off into two groups of 5, send one group to do diplomacy at an elven glade, other group to get gear from a dwarven mine
> My group ends up breaking a small goblin siege around the dwarven mine, lots of funny moments and fun had
> Other group does a quick dungeon delve to clean out a rustled, old tomb, they nearly die to Shades and Ghosts but come out alive and secure elven aid
> wentbetterthanexpected.jpg

Part 2 to follow.
>>
>>48490329
This is exactly why the rogue in my party died last session. He went out on his own, and encountered a scarecrow. Kept using his movement to get away and then ducking in the grass. Scarecrow just kept going to where he was and having no trouble finding him since he hadn't moved after hiding. Eventually he realized what a bad idea it was, but by then it was too late.
>>
>>48490088
a mole fits a dwarf more, i think
>>
Part 2 of >>48490451

Session 3
> Arrive to find that there's now 13 kids who want to play, and another 3 who show up within minutes that also want to join
> wat.jpg
> A couple of them drop upon seeing the number of kids, waiting until next month when the library runs a new D&D session
> My group rescues civilians as a goblin horde descends upon their base town
> Other DM's group helps break the siege by burning their catapults
> merge both groups into one massive PC party vs. a horde of ~110 goblins + priest NPC + spiked devil leading the horde
> Mages drop AoE spells, ranged PCs drop bodies left and right with arrows, melee PCs start cleaving through the horde
> One round of combat takes 40 minutes IRL, but the PCs eventually decimate the horde with sheer damage (basically treated the horde as a swarm monster, once HP went to 0, the surviving goblins dispersed in terror after seeing literally 90+% of their allies die in less than 10 seconds)
> Priest and Spiked Devil flee, reporting back to cultist leader and spiked devil's superior about what happened
> All the kids had a great time, while myself and other DM internally sigh and relax after pulling that off
> feelsgood.jpg

This last session will probably be another clusterfuck as we wrap up this small story arc, but should be fun, if not hectic.
>>
>>48490329
There's lot of other things happening around you at the battle, anon. This big truck of a fighter is right in front of you, looking like a real threat. Then you feel this piercing pain at your side, where some bastard halfling just attacked you. You catch a glimpse of him before he scurries away, you try to follow his movements but if you get too distracted the fighter will cut off your head in an instant. And... fuck, where did he go again?

Of course, you can impose disadvantage on their stealth check if they keep trying to hide on the same place, or give the enemy advantage on Perception for whatever reason. I myself say that, during battle, everyone is actively looking for everyone, so when the rogue who's hiding tries to attack someone, I roll Perception for them and compare it to his Stealth. If the Perception is lower, they lost sight of the other.
>>
File: Mapmaker.png (24KB, 732x332px) Image search: [Google]
Mapmaker.png
24KB, 732x332px
How do you guys do weather? Got any good tables? Have a more detailed mapmaking exploration role meanwhile (WIP).
>>
>>48490458
Actions, bonus actions and movement are abstractions for the most part. He could use just a part of his movement to get away and into the grass, bonus action to hide and then the rest of his movement to keep going. Could even use his action to dash and put some more distance between them, for good measure.
>>
>>48490568
Yeah, problem was he kept disengaging, moving 30 feet, hiding. Then when he realized what was going on, he disengaged, moved 20 feet, hid, then crawled another 5. Still it was midday and no matter how stealthy he was trying to be, hiding in tall grass in 20 feet from someone trying to actively watch you isn't very likely to work.

If he had rolled really well it might have worked, or if he'd given up on disengaging to dash instead, it might have worked. But that's not how it happened.
>>
>>48490216
im thinking of homebrewing an ability that lets the class be lightly obscured, to mimic a pseudo hide in plain sight, but anon already mentioned that it wouldnt work unless they were heavily obscured or if they had the skulker feat, both of which are fine by me.
>>
>>48490646
Probably should've first disengaged and then dashed 60ft. Most monsters can only move 30ft, so unless it used its action to dash as well, it couldn't get close. And if it did, it couldn't attack. Then, after having at least 60ft between them, he could try to hide, if the grass was tall enough. Did he rogue player understood it was midday?
>>
>>48490474
Then go for a mole. What's the matter?
If there's something missing you can always talk to your DM about refluffing another statblock, taking away something (fly speed for instance) in exchange for burrow.
>>
>>48486826
For fuck's sake anon, not only are you responding to the most blatant bait, but you're also stupid enough to think that's someone who is actually trying to get you to play DW. It's not. it's just a troll. A troll who probably hates DW and is using it so he can simultaneously ruin 5e threads and ruin DW's reputation by associating it with his trolling.
How can anyone be dense enough to not recognise this blatant false flagging.
>>
How many pounds is a ration? Foraging says you find 1d6+WIS pounds of food but rations don't specify weight.
>>
The biggest problem with stealth abuse in 5e is when people keep attempting hide in the exact same spot over and over again. Unfortunately, there's no written rule that specifically states that you can't keep hiding multiple times behind the same box/object/character/whatever. Mechanically, it works.

Right now, there's a big problem with Lightfoot Halfling Rogue players who sneak attack, hide behind their tanky ally, then do it over and over again while using their bonus attack to stay hidden behind that one person. As a player or DM watching this, you're probably thinking that it's more than a bit of a stretch that this Halfling is somehow hiding behind his ally so well that every attack from that exact same position is working so well.

At the end of the day, it's not a huge deal because sneak attack bonuses is balanced around getting it every round, but you should also take steps to prevent players from just picking one extremely abusable method of combat and using it for 20 levels.
>>
>>48490474
Then pick a mole and don't worry about the optimal choice
>>
>>48490667
That's honestly a bad idea because it promotes permanent laziness for the player. Unless this is an ability they get around Level 15 or something? And what class are you referring to?
>>
>>48490736
>>48490774
nice ty
>>
>>48490720
He knew, yeah. He initially tried to run from it, but being as it is a construct it didn't suffer exhaustion. He actually didn't start trying to hide until he'd had a level of exhaustion from the constant dashing, so he was also at disadvantage on the hide checks.

It was basically just a series of bad calls on his part, brought on by panic and inexperience. He's actually okay with how it all turned out though. He's got a barbarian made for the next session and he plans to brawful stupid and just have some silly fun.
>>
>>48490786
Theyd get it lvl 14, as an archetype feature. Its a homebrew class as well.
>>
>>48486861
You can as an artifact, one that needs specific requirements to be met in order to activate.
Hopefully the requirements aren't met in the meantime while it's in the bag.
>>
>>48490766
You can't think of hiding as just mechanics, because if you're hiding behind someone and the monster sees you then you hide again, they will know where you are even if they can't see you right now, and can go behind the tank to see you.
>>
>>48490751
According to pg. 150 a ration is 2 lbs
>>
>>48490936
Thanks, should've thought of that.
>>
Hey running a game in 3 days for a group of players that have only played once before but are veterans of board games and video games. Was hoping i might find some advice for the game i'm going to run as what iv been asked to deliver is a game that has a "classic" D&D feel, features undead as the main threat and takes place at level 5. As part of all this im making their characters for them which i'm quite happy to do, i thought id give them a wizard, fighter, rogue and a cleric for the classic feel. Its just a one shot so i need to wrap the whole game up over a sunday, would love some thoughts on a main villain and some cool set pieces i could use.

TLDR
How do i make a "classic" D&D one shot v undead

posted in the last thread just before it died, reposting here since now its 2 days away
>>
>>48491187
Lich and necromancers are the usual suspect, obviously.
I guess I'd throw them a Lich. Make the bossfight in different stages, once they defeat each stage the fight goes to a different room/terrain.

Of course they'll never defeat a Lich, so kill them and use that for your next campaign/session. Hell, you can even use their remains.
>>
>>48491390
Before they head out on their quest, a "crazy old woman" should be heard shouting "You are doomed!" If any of them looks more closely (perception check, possibly) they notice she's looking right back at them while she repeats again softer "Abandon hope, death approaches."
>>
>>48486799
Doing the same thing myself honestly. So much work converting shit.
>>
>>48491476
>>48491187
You know... You kinda made me want to GM that.

>>48491187
So, why would you go for something more complicated than lich/necromancer?
You're already going "full classic", so why not for the villain?
>>
>>48491648
I guess so but i'm not sure what to do with them really, send them into a huge crypt diablo style? i guess my issue is im not sure how to capture "classic" feel in a one shot game

also i'm not sure how intentionally killing them will go down but i actually quite like that
>>
>>48491507
What have you gotten done? maybe we can split the load a bit.
>>
How does one convince their DM that they need to learn the rules and that their homebrew setting is complete shit?
>>
File: yeawut2.jpg (268KB, 4800x3488px) Image search: [Google]
yeawut2.jpg
268KB, 4800x3488px
>>48491965
just quit the group and find a new one, and if they ask politely tell them that without using the word shit.
>>
>>48491739
There's that Mystic homebrew on Reddit that's pretty good; completes the class from UA. Its also got a couple archetypes for other classes with psionic abilities, a few psionic monsters, and a couple feats.
>>
>>48491965
Stupid people exist, ignore it, do some damage control, or leave.
>>
>>48491704
Diablo-style, I'd give them a creepy little village on the brink of nervous breakdown.
Make the NPC pathetic and uninteresting, because in a one-off the last thing you want is your players getting distracted. It's railroad, but it's for a good cause. It doesn't really matter how long the session is planned to last, you probably wont have the time to do everything you want, especially if you're not super experienced.

If your players haven't played Diablo3 you can give them the quest with the husband that needs the adventurers to kill his beloved because she's not dead enough, and her massacring her own children is kind of a turn-off.
If they've played D3, try to find something for them to do that will
- be short, quick and awesome
- put them straight away in the mood
- help you figure out the kind of players you have (is there a leader? etc.)
- hook them even more if that's necessary
- SHOW THEM THAT D&D ISN'T ALL ABOUT FIGHTING.

You also need to make them feel awesome straight away, like they're already big fucking heroes. ESPECIALLY if you're planning to kill them.
The last point is important because you have very little time to please all your players, and sometimes that means finding a good (OPTIONAL) puzzle for your players to solve.

Put them on the tracks of your villain very early. Necromancers, and even less so Liches, don't need to be subtle. They don't need to hide once they've got all the corpses they wanted.
You could try and find a good reason for them to have that army of the dead. Maybe it used to be a very militarily contested place. Answering these questions might give you a clue on how and where to run the main encounters.
Don't botch the bossfight. You have little time to prep, but you need awesome terrain & details. But it needs to be perfect, and they need to think they're winning even if they die. It's pretty tough. I say go for it only if you're 100% sure it wont spoil the mood.
>>
File: sciencelove.png (515KB, 435x563px) Image search: [Google]
sciencelove.png
515KB, 435x563px
Well, he did it.
The group's Paladin finally proposed to the particle accelerator.
she accepted
>>
>>48492005
>>48492021

I'm......considering leaving, yeah. Damage control doesn't work, because I've spent the last year trying to show him how DMing works, and provide all the information I can on how to do it the right way.

He seems to be laboring under the delusion that his homebrew and way of playing is inherently superior; but not in a dickish way--in a way that you would expect out of a 9-year-old /b/tard. He's actually said, "But I like my monster better." The monster in question is supposedly CR9...but has the tarrasque's reflective carapace.

And, you know, if it was just his style that was different, I'd be fine with it; I've played with a dozen different DMs, all with different styles; only this DM is the one that refuses to learn how the game works. Its his first time DMing anything, so I can forgive some fudging and not-knowing-the-rules, but being taught the rules, then completely ignoring them is something else entirely.

We're fighting that monster right now, and three of the six players are dead.

</endrant>

I feel slightly better now.
>>
>>48492042
>>48491704
Read (through wiki) or play the early quests for Grimdawn, there are a lot of undead shenanigans in there, as well as undead-related sidequests (retrieve heirlooms, "free" loved ones, rescue survivors, act as messenger etc.)
>>
>>48492116
If you think it's acceptable but not desirable, you could try to find a good game in the meantime, and once you've played a few sessions and you like it better you can drop it, downtime isn't the only reason to not leave I know that but it can be a factor.
>>
>>48492042
10/10 post thanks a bunch that was really helpful
>>48492136
looking into that now, there's some cool stuff and the game looks pretty sweet as a side note
>>
>>48492094
Brotherhood of Steel Paladin?
>>
File: ANCIENT TECHNOLOGY.gif (2MB, 292x216px) Image search: [Google]
ANCIENT TECHNOLOGY.gif
2MB, 292x216px
>>48492202
Nah, bog standard generic medieval fantasy Paladin. Oath of Ancients.
but it's one of those 80s fantasy settings where there's actually ancient robot shit from space hidden under everything
>>
>>48492255
That sounds pretty interesting.
>>
>>48492164
I'd hate to drop it, because I know for a fact that if I did, the rest of the group would, too, which would probably crush the poor guy (I believe he has some sort of mental issue, adhd, something, etc; it seems he's unable to consider the consequences of his actions; he got expelled from the community college for watching porn in the computer library).

The other issue is that its the only day I can game, and its the only place within an hour's drive to actually game at.

God, I hate small fucking towns.
>>
>>48492175
No problem. Grimdawn is okay, some design decisions are effy.

Don't forget to use Island Design because, as I said, time might become an issue really quickly.
http://www.gnomestew.com/game-mastering/gming-advice/island-design-theory/

Depending on circumstances I'll just add that I'd make them choose their background for each. It usually makes the characters A LOT more REAL to newbies, it makes them ask themselves the good questions, and it's pretty quickly done.
Obviously time consuming though.
>>
>>48488061
Literally this. I thank god every day that I have enough people interested in table top around me that I don't have to compromise to get a game going.
>>
File: Autism.png (1MB, 800x474px) Image search: [Google]
Autism.png
1MB, 800x474px
>>48486863
>he thinks D&D is a realism simulator
>>
>>48487336
You have to be 18 to post on this website.
>>
File: 1463187082129.png (16KB, 167x230px) Image search: [Google]
1463187082129.png
16KB, 167x230px
>>48487940
>fantasy is not an excuse for lack of realism.
>>
File: r u srs.png (15KB, 197x197px) Image search: [Google]
r u srs.png
15KB, 197x197px
>>48488061
>>
>>48488386
I didn't realize your kind was allowed or of their containment board. Hiroshim00t needs to get off his chungchong ass.
>>
>>48486863
> armor is damage reduction
I see you don't actually play D&D
>>
File: [admonishing intensifies].png (579KB, 857x442px) Image search: [Google]
[admonishing intensifies].png
579KB, 857x442px
>>48488868
>>
>>48492478
fuck off im likely older than you are you little shit.
>>
File: Stealth Diagram.png (21KB, 1154x766px) Image search: [Google]
Stealth Diagram.png
21KB, 1154x766px
I come from the past to save you all.

Your Dexterity (Stealth) check is matched against any relevant Passive Perception - if you win, you're not detected; if you lose, you're detected. That's it. If the enemy would have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks against you, they add 5 to their Passive Perception. If a person or creature is actively on watch for targets that may be hiding or sneaking - such as city guardsmen who take their job seriously, or a search party out to recapture a fugitive - they get an additional + 5 to their Passive Perception.

If you are detected/revealed, you may only attempt a hide check again once you have successfully broken line of sight *unless* you have an ability that lets you do otherwise, such as the Ranger's Vanish ability, the rogue's Cunning Action ability, or the wood elf racial. For those abilities, the user may make a normal hide check while lightly obscured or behind half cover+, but not in a straight-up open area. Others have advantage on their passive perception checks to detect you if they saw you before you used one of these abilities unless you are in a lightly obscured+ area, in which case they make no change to their passive perception against you. Furthermore, any attacks made by you against the enemy do not gain advantage if you attack from a 180 degree spread from the target who detected you and where you disappeared within 30 ft, or within a 90 degree spread between the target who saw you and where you disappeared further than 30 ft away. If you don't immediately understand what I'm saying by this, just refer to the 'Stealth Diagram' handout.
>>
Going to reach level 4 soon.

The general rule of thumb is that, I should increase my ability score before taking feat right?

It's hard to pass up Great Weapon Master though...
>>
>>48493009
Depends on what your ability scores are right now. I'd take the ASI if my attack stat is 16, but if its 18, I'd probably not, depending on my fluff.
>>
>>48493009
Do what you think would be more fun, what would fit your character more. Forget about the powergaming stuff.
>>
>>48493009
There's only a few feats in a few builds worth not maxing your primary stat first. GWM is not one of them - take your strength to 20 first.
>>
>>48493009

It all depends.
>>
>>48493009
gwm is good, but the +1 to hit from +2 strength will typically be a lot better than the bonuses from gwm, especially because with a 16 strength your to hit won't even be good enough yet to take advantage of the gwm power attack feature effectively yet anyway.
but do you, its not like its "bad" to take gwm at level 4.
>>
I was reading SCAG today for some inspiration and i was disappointed by the lack of adventure hooks. WotC really needs to get their shit together. Anyway, can someone lend me some cool ideas for an adventure in Waterdeep or Baldur's Gate? Thanks family.
>>
>>48493111
It's an open source - the book talks about the Sword Coast. It's not a module.
>>
Does the Reactive ability from the Marlith REALLY not affect CR, as the DMG says?

Seems like +5 AC on one attack per round, or additional opportunity attack, would skew the damage/defense calculations.
>>
>>48493111
im pretty sure like every adventure book, and AL itself uses sword coast as its base universe, thats why scag exists
>>
>>48493146
It's CR fucking 16 dude.
>>
>>48493111
There's a huge history of adventures, including several huge dungeon crawls from various editions, all of which take place in that area. Converting isn't hard.
>>
>>48493138
I was not expecting a module, but something closer to a setting book.
>>
>>48493326
It is exactly a setting book.
>>
>>48493341
Nope, it's a player's resource at best. Huge cities like Waterdeep barely get much info.
>>
>>48487950
>have played with almost a dozen women over the years
>similar problems as with men

It really isn't so bad to play with ladies. You just have to weed out the shitty ones, same as with men.
>>
>>48493395
It's a fucking setting. The Sword Coast is fucking massive.
>>
>>48493419
It is called Adventurer's guide for a reason, you know.
>>
>>48493111
SCAG is just there to give you the Cliff's Notes of decades of Forgotten Realms lore, specifically in a small but diverse part of it, because no one can be assed to go looking up 2E's Faiths and Avatars to learn about the pantheon
>>
File: 1455158837277.jpg (126KB, 721x705px) Image search: [Google]
1455158837277.jpg
126KB, 721x705px
>oh boy I can't wait to start my first time DMing in a few minutes
>oh hey by the way DM when I said I could make my character myself I meant I never even started
>>
>>48493463
Read the fucking preface. Read the fucking *book* holy shit - 90% of it is just describing what the fuck is part of the Sword Coast.
>>
>>48492018
That's included in my pdf link, along with some other classes that are necessary for Dark Sun campaign.
>>
>>48493498
That's fine and dandy, but there's no detail, just like i said. Sperg all you want, Mearls.
>>
>>48493488
Congratulations, now you are a true DM.
>>
>>48493498
Wrong anon, anon..............

I think he's trollin', though.
>>
>>48493529
"No detail" in that it's *NOT A FUCKING MODULE*. Here, allow me to copy/past all the fucking adventure hooks to demonstrate your abject retardation.

The Cold Lands. Th e nations of Damara , Narfell, Sos-
sal, and Vaasa, known collectively to most Faerunians as
the Cold Lands, rest n ear the Great Glacier in the cold,
dry environs of the north eas t. Few outside the region
have much interest in what goes on here, except for those
in the imm ediately surrounding lands, who fear a resur -
gence of the ancient evils of the r eg ion- though they ar-
en 't fearful enough to do more than send an adventuring
party or two into the area to investigate.
In Damara , the usurper King Yarin Frostmantle sits
on the throne of the Dragon ban e dynasty, while his pe o-
ple complain about his tyranny and the growing thr e at
from demons across the countr y. In Narfell, skilled rid-
ers and archers hunt , raid, and ar e gradually reclaiming
their heritage as a great nation of mages who treated
with devils. The Warlock Knights of Vaasa threaten to
break the bounds of their nation and invade Damara,
the Moonsea, or both, while som e of its membe rs sus -
picious ly eye the ominously silent Castle Perilous, per-
haps planning another excursion to the pla ce . Th e tiny
nation of So s sal trad es with its neighbors, but share s
little of itself with the wider world.
>>
>>48493529
The Horde/ands. Form erly known as the Endless
Wastes, this land has gained a new nam e among
F ae runians, styled after the vast Tuigan horde that roar ed
out of the eas t and rode against Fae run more than a
ce ntur y a go. After these trib es folk were defeated, som e
of the fi erce, mounted warrior s who survi ve d the conflict
gathered to form the sma ll na ti on ofYa lmunnah ar. Som e
others cling to the old ways, ma stering the sword and the
bow and riding acro ss the stepp es on their short-legged
horses. Br ave me rchants still traver se the Golden Way
to and from Kara -Tur, but thos e who re turn from such a
voy age are fewer than they once were.
>>
>>48493529
lmpiltur. With the rising of the waters of the Sea of
Fallen S tar s, s om e of Impiltur's wealth and influen ce is
re turnin g, l ea ding to whispers among the popul ace that
a lost king of the line of old will ri se up to lift Impiltur
out of it s wo es and back to the gre at nation it once wa s.
Impiltur is a nation of hum ans with pockets of
dwar ves and halflings amon g its populace. Wh ere on ce
a long royal line sat its thron e and ruled over a unified
kingdom, now a Gr and Coun c il sits around a table and
struggl es to c ombat the pr esence of de mons , and demon
worship , within the nation's bord ers.
>>
>>48493529
The Moonsea. The shores of the Moonsea have long
b ee n home to cities that ri se swiftly, relying on vigor-
ous trade and gathering powerful mer ce nari es to the ir
ba nn ers, only to overextend them se lv es and fall- som e-
tim es crumbling over tim e, and s om etim es dropping
like ston es from the sky.
Now that Netheril and Myth Drannor have fallen,
thos e two gr e at pow e rs c an no longer exe rt their influence flu en ce over the Moon se a, allowing the city of Hillsfar
to s pr ead its wings and eye southward expansion, and
Mulm as ter to once again further the wor ship of Ban e.
Phlan , Teshwave, Thentia , and Voonlar -a ll Moonsea
citi es where greater powers jo ckeyed for influe nce - now
work to find their own identities before an unche ck ed or
malevolent re alm swallows them, one by one.
Thi s region is also home to the ruin s of the Citadel of
th e Raven and Zh entil K ee p, former strongholds of the
Zhe ntarim , which th e Black Ne twork shows occasional
inter es t in restoring.
flu en ce over the Moon se a, allowing the city of Hillsfar
to s pr ead its wings and eye southward expansion, and
Mulm as ter to once again further the wor ship of Ban e.
Phlan , Teshwave, Thentia , and Voonlar -a ll Moonsea
citi es where greater powers jo ckeyed for influe nce - now
work to find their own identities before an unche ck ed or
malevolent re alm swallows them, one by one.
Thi s region is also home to the ruin s of the Citadel of
th e Raven and Zh entil K ee p, former strongholds of the
Zhe ntarim , which th e Black Ne twork shows occasional
inter es t in restoring.
>>
>>48493529
Rashemen. A harsh , cold land fill ed with hardy folk,
Ra shemen is a fi erce ly traditional nation. It is rul ed
by its Iron Lord, Mang an U ruk , who sp ea ks for the
pow er behind the thron e: the Wy c hlaran , the socie ty
of m as ked witch es that dete rmin e Ra shemen's c ours e.
Th ese witch es wie ld gr eat powers ti ed to the land and
it s m ag ic and gua rd against ev il fey and vengeful spirits.
A small numb er of male spe ll cas ters, kn o wn as th e Old
Ones, cr ea te magic it ems and w ea ve arc an e rituals for
the witches. Ra sh emi witch es revere the Thr ee, a trium-
virate of godd esses they ca ll Bhalla (the Den Mothe r) ,
Khelliara (the For e st Maide n) , and the Hidden On e.
Ov er the ce nturies, scholars in oth er lands have spe cu -
lated that th ese deiti es might be fac es of C haunt ea, Miel-
ikki, and My s tra , r es p ec ti ve l y.
Th e nation's warrior s are a fi erce, stoic lot, famed for
their s tr ength, e nduran ce, and stubbo rnn ess in battle.
R as h em en is a long-standing enemy of Th ay, and has
o ft en thwart ed that nation's ambitions to rul e F ae run.
Little plea ses a Ra shemi warrior mor e than the c han ce
to strike down a Red Wizard in battle.

THE WHOLE FUCKING BOOK IS ADVENTURE HOOKS YOU BRAINLESS COCKSUCKER
>>
File: 1459732609741.gif (2MB, 318x223px) Image search: [Google]
1459732609741.gif
2MB, 318x223px
>>48493552
>player 1: "I won't be able to finish my character in time and also I have work in three hours"
>player 2: (not responding at all)
>player 3: "I didn't know what was going on so I'm not even home"
>player 4: "I-I'm here"
>>
File: 14330189441935.jpg (48KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
14330189441935.jpg
48KB, 500x375px
>>48493563
>>48493591
>>48493606
>>48493623
>>48493638
>>
>>48493849
I'm so glad I got a good group at first try, the worst we've had is my clock being set to the wrong timezone so they had to wait an hour, some late comers but never no-shows, and this year most of us living together there's even less, just one time when one didn't know we were playing since we just sent the message on facebook. This a group of 6 students, I don't think I could ever cope with that kind of group.
>>
Anyone wanna give me some input on these archetypes for rangers?

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SkpZBnJ_
>>
>>48493849
Just find new players, anon. There's no cure for this.
>>
>>48493989
First one is bad - overtuned.
Reading the second.
>>
>>48493989
2nd one is even more horribly overtuned.
Reading the third.
>>
>>48493989
well gaining spells from archtype is a bit weird since the base ranger doesn't do that
actually, fuck it. i got most of the way through dreadstalker and already think its retarded. also, upon scrolling through im seeing a "to the window, to the walls", and a do a barrel roll reference.

im pretty much done. maybe the other shit is better, but the first one is both op, too complex, and retarded
>>
>>48493989
Third one is not as dumb as the other two, but is still overly good.
>>
>ban magic-using classes
>provide magic artifacts instead
I think I've cracked the code.
>>
>>48494277
You feel you want to do that... why?
>>
>>48493989
>the skill-shots are in alphabetical order
>they arnt in alphabetical order
>>
>>48494296
Vastly more control over party resources. Magic is boring when you have a spontaneous caster in the party.
>>
>>48488331
He's sarcastically saying you sound fun to be around
>>
>>48494382
>Vastly more control over party resources
What?
Your idea of engaging gameplay is to remove 8/12 classes from the game?
>>
Because I want to hate myself in the future, does anyone have a copy of 5e version of Vault of the Dracolich?
Eventually I would like to attempt a go at it.
>>
>>48488331
>You sound like a peach.
Yeah, a peach a shit.
>>
>>48494466
Shut up faggot.
>>
What's the best bard college if i'm going for a wanderer who's looking to experience as much of the world as he can?
>>
>>48494570
lore so when you have sex with various spellcasters you can say you stole their secrets
also you clearly mean "have sex with" when you say experience
>>
>>48494570
In fluff, Lore would be more likely to tell of fantastic lands and epic journeys, while valor bards are more about battles and glory and skald-stuff.
>>
>>48494570
Lore.
Lore is best.
>>
>>48494570
Imo it would be the lore college.
>>
>>48494435
While we are at it, Legacy Of The Crystal Shard would be cool as well (not same fag, btw).
>>
Remember, your favorite class is shit.
>>
>>48494802
aww man, i really like that class
>>
>>48494802
>wizard
>shit

>bard
>shit
>>
File: images (1).jpg (8KB, 253x199px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
8KB, 253x199px
My friends are setting up an evil campaign, and I can't decide between playing an fiendish tomelock, a necromancer wizard, a death cleric, or an oathbreaker paladin. Are any of these trap classes? What playstyle does each lend itself to? Which is considered the most well-rounded?
>>
>>48494881
The only good pally is an oathbreaker.
>>
Somewhat newfag to D&D here. I want to make a "crowd control" Abjuration Wizard.

Just hit 3rd level. Any Idea what spells / feats are good to take for this? My party already has tons of damage, but our only healer is a Druid. I figured it would be cool to use Projected ward to save people, and use spells like Sleep and whatnot to disable enemies. Does this work at higher levels? Or Is just a lot less effective than going for straight up damage?

I have standard 5e rules + Elemental Evil to use.
>>
>>48494881
Fiend + tome is the best warlock you can have.
Necromancer wizards are fine. You could have a wizard completely without any archetype at all and they'd be fine.
Death cleric's are decent, their capstone is cool
Oathbreaker paladins are great.
>>
>>48494881
well necromancy runs its own problems, but its not like an evil cleric or wizard will have troubles or qualms with corpses
oathbreakers are pretty legit though. and paladins themselves are nice.

any of those are fine though if you/your group are alright with you throwing down fistfulls of dice/possibly taking longer rounds
>>
Thoughts on the spell "Blink"?

Seems like it could be good, but with the roll factor it's a bit much for a third level spell.

However, it's also super thematic for a wild magic sorcerer.
>>
>>48494912
Don't worry about damage. A good Wizard is not going to be just a glass canon. Illusion is great if you like crowd control.
>>
>>48494912
the first level group crowd controls get worse as the levels progress, but they'll stay fine for some time still. if you dont have tashas and alarm, those are obvious ones. grease stays good longer than sleep, but sleep is guaranteed.
if you're not picking up mirror image this level, think about getting one of the good second level damage ones. your cantrips are going to replace 1st level damage relatively soon, and the 2nd level ones are pretty legit. i dont think theres a real "stop the enemy" spell at level two, other than the normal mirror/misty utility
hold person or suggestion are alright choices, but since you're still pretty "if someone looks at me wrong, im dead" id suggest mirror or misty
>>
>>48490667
I saw a shadow magic feat that gave you light obscurity from one creature after hitting them with a spell...
>>
>>48495123
>i put alarm with crowd control
i meant as a battery to fill your ward, but you probably know that
>>
File: ss+(2016-07-27+at+11.59.03).jpg (22KB, 1444x49px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-27+at+11.59.03).jpg
22KB, 1444x49px
I'm really really shitty at this /tg/

how do I present the challenge of finding this random item under a statue, which is in a temple, underwater, using language that doesn't give away that there's "something interesting under here?" I have a real hard time doing this when I speak to my players.
>>
File: latest.png (127KB, 345x337px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
127KB, 345x337px
>>48488061
This is literally what the anon who posted this looks like.
>>
>>48495155
you get the feeling the room was designed without the statue there
the floor has scuffs from moved items
the ground seems less compacted near the statue
there is clearly more mud on the statue than the nearby areas
umm... someone drew some dicks on the statue go look at them... fuck i dont know
>>
>>48495155
This fucking statue is heretical.
Paladin, you gonna sit there and take that?!
>>
>>48495195

>the ground seems less compacted near the statue

>there is clearly more mud on the statue than the nearby areas

Ah this makes me think of something, I think I solved my problem in that I don't fill my rooms enough with details. I should be more detailed. That way they might pick up on a faint clue like the scratches or something about too much mud.
>>
Reminder that 5e is better than 3.5 in every regard except sheer content mass.
Reminder that all rogue archetypes are great, but thief and arcane trickster are both markedly better than assassin in general strength and utility.
Reminder that if you're a barbarian you should be reckless attacking every single round of combat while raging unless you'd already have advantage against your target.
Reminder that the Healer feat is actually good at all levels, just especially the early ones, especially on a thief archetype rogue.
Reminder that Heavy Armor Master is likewise good at all levels.
Reminder that frenzied berserker barbarian objectively sucks dick as an archetype.
Reminder that way of the long death monks are essentially the tankiest class in the game pre-20 and post-11.
Reminder that if you take the alert feat, you can essentially ignore your perception stat and let other people do the "I see something interesting out of place" for you, since you're straight covered (more than even the highest perception dudes) for combat in that regard anyway.
Reminder of remembrance, reminding you to remember.
>>
>>48495226
yeah, i wasnt sure if you meant buried under the statue, or the statue fell on it. either way, if you need your players to look at something, a small detail you mention for no apparent reason, is clearly apparent to some people
"hey, dm mentioned scuff marks"
"WHAT ARE THESE MARKS FOR EVERYONE LOOK"

it might not be obvious to them at first, and if you do it that way every time, they'll catch onto it too easily, but at first its fine
>>
How does one use the Mobility feat to help avoid damage but not fuck over the rest of the party if they are relatively squish?
>>
>>48495265
keep yourself between the enemy and the softies (who are hopefully 30+ feet away) if they're less, stand hopefully in a spot where going past you would provoke an AoO
that or next to them, or in such a place to where you're taking up a spot an enemy could hit them from. so pretty much right in front if you have to
>>
>>48495123
I'm already taking Mage armor. Does that mean i shouldn't take Alarm? Tasha's Laughter seems great, and could make for some hilarious RP. Grease seems really solid.
>>
File: ss+(2016-07-28+at+12.12.19).jpg (276KB, 1753x558px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-28+at+12.12.19).jpg
276KB, 1753x558px
>working on the Roll20 prep for the onepagedungeon Sunken Temple of Arn

>listening to the music for the temple, Into the Deep and Terror at the same time by Tabletop Audio

>get really fucking spooked after five minutes turn it off

it's 12am I have no business hearing this shit
>>
>>48495321
alarm is cast as a ritual so you can refill your ward if you have down time. if you dont have tashas, it'll stay relavant for ALOT longer than some of the other cc spells. grease is a non hp based (thus better longer) version of sleep, even if its a bit weaker.

mirror image and misty step are your "im a softy and i need to be safe" the same way mage armor, or shield would be chosen. you dont need them, but they can save you ALOT of headache if you get them some point down the line.

also, even if you dont really use spells as damage like the other anon said, having one good damage spell in levels 1-3 is a good idea. lvl 2 has a few good choices, but it already has a number of good spells. i dont know if you already have one or not (or what it is) but you might want to pick one up at some point
>>
>>48495340
What I like to do is take some tabletop audio and play a song mixed with it to add to the eeriness. I find the Demon/Blood/Darksouls Series have a lot of great songs. Like I would mix this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIAQY2xwXPc with the Goblin Cave track.
>>
>>48494912
Levitate is effectively a save or die against any target with no ranged attacks.
If they fail their save, you can float them harmlessly in the air, out of reach of melee weapons, for up to 10 minutes, at they never get a re-save.
>>
>>48495415

>dark souls

I was using some Witcher 3 music for the combat but holy shit how the fuck could I have forgotten dark souls ty
>>
>>48495315
Thanks, trying to justify getting it. But pick out the best feat for survivability+utility.
>>
>>48495429
Witcher is also great.

I used this when the party entered an old ruined town filled with zombies and witches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8J9HXcOxrs
>>
>>48495446
yeah, if you're one of the few heartier classes (or only melee) you're most likely going to be the target of hits anyway. at the least you can do, is just interpose your area of threat between the enemy and the ally. hopefully far enough, so you get an opportunity attack if they chose to ignore you. that, or you guys plan ahead to constantly retreat and give up ground, but that strategy is pretty easy to get fucked over
>>
>>48492323
Take up the mantle and DM yourself, instead. Show him by example. I know you'd rather play, but maybe (after the inevitable TPK) suggest you could run a short campaign "while he prepares a new game".
>>
>>48495509
I'm not haearty at all. Only a Melee Ranger in medium armor in a party with a Paladin that is going two-handed weapon. We don't have any tanks so I am trying to figure out which feat to go with that will keep me alive longest and help out my party as a bonus. I have Mulitattack Defense btw.
>>
>>48495126
that sounds badass. do you remember where you found it?
>>
>>48495532
I did DM. >.> That's the most annoying part. I ran a campaign from level 3-13 so he could figure it out.
>>
>>48494423

>Your idea of engaging gameplay is to remove 8/12 classes from the game?

Actually its even more retarded than that, EVERY class in 5e can cast spells. He is banning 12/12 classes.

Bravo.
>>
File: 14by14.jpg (21KB, 302x285px) Image search: [Google]
14by14.jpg
21KB, 302x285px
>>48495548
oh well neither of you are that soft then, you're probably fine. if you really need to get out of combat and choose mobile, you should attempt something like this
red is enemy, blue is paladin, green is you, yellow is cowardly people

you can really be in any square near those. depending on how hurt the paladin is, stay closer to him. otherwise though, if things want to attack you, the paladin gets an AoO, and if things want to go past you to the ranged, you get your own AoO.
you do have multiattack defense, so i guess arguably mobile is less useful, but its still obviously good
maybe think about sentinel or medium armor master if you want a more defensive choice
>>
>>48495654
Some people don't ever learn. Running a campaign with one player who literally makes stupid decision after stupid decision. We have also called him out for cheating and metaing a few times. He also clearly has some mental disorder so I guess that's why we have put up with him for so long.

Point is there is sometimes no helping people. Especially if they are dumb enough to watch porn in a public library.
>>
>>48495667
If he also bans arcane tricksters, monks, totem barbarians, and eldritch knights he'd be clear.
>>
>>48495681

>Especially if they are dumb enough to watch porn in a public library.

not the anon you're talking to but I work at a public library

and yeah people do that a lot. I like to message them from my desk and say "quit it man" or just send their card numbers to my boss so they can shame them later or kick them out.
>>
File: 23r2fwerfwe.png (59KB, 1878x789px) Image search: [Google]
23r2fwerfwe.png
59KB, 1878x789px
>>48495082
>>48495123
>>48495384
>>48495420
This is my list of spells currently. I can chose 2 more spells, and 2 more cantrips. Checked spells are prepared.
>>
>>48495678
Thanks for going through the trouble of drawing it out for me. We have a fighter who uses pikes so AC is out for him too. Sentinel and Mobile both seem like great picks that would fit the character. I would just rather not pick Tough because it just feels like a waste. And I would get MAM for sure if it wasn't for the fact my DEX is only 14.
>>
>>48495748
I get homeless people doing that cause they don't give a fuck. But an actual college student doing it in their campuses library is a different story.

What's the most fucked up shit you ever caught someone watching?
>>
>>48495758
Change charm person to levitate. Prepare sleep over detect magic - you can cast detect magic as a ritual without memorizing it for the day.
>>
>>48495758
I would also recommend Dispel Magic if you know no one else in your party will have it. I can't count the the times how many times we needed that spell while playing.
>>
>>48495866
He can only cast second level spells. And even then, counterspell is better than dispel magic in 90+% of situations.
>>
File: 14by14.jpg (21KB, 302x285px) Image search: [Google]
14by14.jpg
21KB, 302x285px
>>48495758
since you have magic missile, you dont really need chromatic orb.
tashas and mirror image are what i would suggest given what you have. you wont have a really useful 2nd level, but some of what you have can be upcast (mirror is only when you really really need it)

create bonfire is a surprisingly good utility cantrip. minor illusion is another good choice.

>>48495785
no problem. if you want to add the fighter to that image, he would be somewhere next to the paladin (preferably diagonal, not next to an enemy) or right in front of you, and you place yourself a little further to the side. that positioning has him somewhat take your roll of an AoC wall. but none of you are massively that frail, and there are three of you. iv put you all really the closest you should safely be (you could be much closer though)

if you DONT pick mobile though, you should be somewhere near the lower left side of the red square
>>
File: VnpiKkR.jpg (2MB, 3840x5760px) Image search: [Google]
VnpiKkR.jpg
2MB, 3840x5760px
So I am thinking of making a character that focuses mostly on Healing Buffing/Debuffing and casts Poison spells when he doesn't need to do the prior. Was thinking Swamp Druid, could it work?
Pic related inspired me.
>>
>>48495940
>>48495785
oh, and purple is the fighter since blue was already taken
>>
>>48495954
Poison spells suck unless you make some yourself that don't suck.
Concentration is a druid's (and basically everyone else's, but I feel druids in particular suffer from it more due to their options/spell list) biggest limiter in regard to spellcasting.
>>
>>48495593
Look up shadow magic. Hope it helps.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqjj29teiyjil2n/Feats.docx?dl=0
>>
File: 1266291982086.jpg (39KB, 217x208px) Image search: [Google]
1266291982086.jpg
39KB, 217x208px
>>48495799

I don't think you understand what you are asking me.

I could tell you stories for days. Working for the man in public service, you see a lot of shit. Funny enough it doesn't make me hate humanity as much as it does my co-workers.

Here's one: Once I walked through an aisle of books and someone had left a magazine laying open on the ground, face down. I go to pick it up and immediately regret it. Someone had literally shit in the magazine and left it there.

2 days ago I opened a DVD case and 3 cockroaches were in there trying to escape. I killed one and slammed the case shut on the other two. Put it in a plastic bag for my manager to deal with. Just...how...do you even get them in there? Did they do it on purpose? Oh well.

A lady threw herself off of our open balcony, right before the stairs. I watched her too, and I looked away right before she fell 23 feet down and snapped her leg. She screamed pretty loud to. Apparently it was pathetic attempt to end her life.

You really get a sense of what it's like to see everyone who falls through the cracks of society. And if some of them slither in the library on their way through life, it really goes to show there's a LOT of them out there. Working. Voting...
>>
>>48495954
well poison isn't really an element, theres not a huge amount of ways to inflict the poison debuff either. that being said, alot of what you're saying is obviously fluff, and swamp druid adds to that. id say add acid to poison list, but theres not a huge amount (or good) acid spells either.
but its all just fluff entangle doesn't do vines it does "thick swamp moss" darkness is an overbearing fog

do what you want obviously, but if you just want "poison" you're going to have a hard time finding enough to do
>>
File: post-5715-1295038435097.jpg (131KB, 342x450px) Image search: [Google]
post-5715-1295038435097.jpg
131KB, 342x450px
>played first game today
>loved it

But I have a question:
Do ANY shields give more than 2 AC? Are there any reasons to use Tower Shields over Bucklers, for example?

Also: Favorite spells for an Eldritch Knight? Particularly low level stuff? They get to pick 2 cantrips and 3 spells (2 must be abjuration or evocation) from the Wizard spell list at level 3. I've got 15 Int so I figure I can mix damage and utility?
>>
>>48495940
>>48495955
Thanks, when I first started playing him I foolishly rushed into battle and got knocked out (a lot) but by some grace I never died. I'm starting now to hang back more and trying to either intersect those coming after our spell casters (my party has a lot of powerful spellcasters) or go after those who are currently attacking them. But yeah, I will try to put what you posted into practice when I can. Haven't had the opportunity yet to see just how decent Mulitattack defense is because haven't face any creature yet with mulitattack.
>>
>>48496008
Outside of magical shields: no, there are only vanilla shields in 5e unless you grab some homebrew, but that's DM-dependent.
>>
>>48495989
Heh, it's nice to know that other jobs also deal with the "unsavory" aswell. I'm an emt by the way.
>>
>>48496008
+1, +2, and +3 shields give more AC. Otherwise no - a base shield, however you fluff it, gives +2 AC by the book.
>>
File: 1466267801312.jpg (972KB, 2000x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1466267801312.jpg
972KB, 2000x1600px
>>48486501
I always encourage players to seek out an artistic representation of what their Characters look like. Whether it's hand drawn or something pre-existing, I think this is important to add a continual depth of interest into the game.

As for landscapes, towns, villages, etc. I always try to paint a picture with words. I find it important to use descriptive language more than just pictures because it adds a connection in a more concrete way.

Sure, a picture "says a thousand words" but this is less personal than the DM painting a scene with wording. You can be far more descriptive.

Take the picture I have linked for example. That is a powerful scene and the artist is very skilled at showing raw human emotion, however, in a game like DnD where personal interaction is everything I find it much more impacting to paint this scene with my words using tone, inflection, and wordplay to fully represent what is going on.

I can make this little girl in the painting take on a real life of her own through my own wording. I can describe in detail her despair and I find that has a much stronger impact on players than simply throwing a picture up.

Like people say, a book is always more in depth than its movie counterpart.
>>
>>48496032
I prefer textual descriptions over vocal. I think written word tends to be more evocative of a scene when written well than anyone is capable of speaking.
>>
>>48496008
no, they've gotten rid of different (ie non magic) shields in favor of fluffing what shield you want. tower shield a few people talked about... 3? threads ago, being a +2/3 shield that gave some sort of cover

magic ones obviously do their own thing, but i dont know about the magic items ingame much

mage hand, firebolt, and minor illusion are obvious good cantrips everyone suggests.
the same kinda applies to the anon asking about his 3rd level wizard. Magic missile, tashas, shield are all good options. you might think about getting a familiar if you're the only one eligible of one, but you have precious few non abj/evo spells
>>
>>48495976
>>48495994
It is mostly fluff, and I know poison isn't an element but his spells were gonna have that "theme." Mostly I would just like to play a character that wasn't combat specific and worked mostly on just boosting the party (without being a bard) through the fights. I have no idea if it would be boring or fun though.

Something about a Smelly Hermit Druid that thinks poisons fungus and mushrooms are the best damn things in the world just seems like a fun time.
>>
>>48496055
Agreed which is why prep work is important. However, some individuals have a natural talent at just finding the right words. But I do agree, when something is written down it is always more clear cut, thought out, and prepared and that is very important especially if you intend to paint a scene such as the picture I put down. Raw, evocative, and emotional.
>>
>>48496078
Druids aren't good party buffers in 5e.
>>
>>48490520
Bump
>>
>>48496025
I do wish they worked on shields a bit more and add Bucklers and Tower Shields each having their own strengths and weakness's.
>>
File: eY2rGQt.gif (1000KB, 500x268px) Image search: [Google]
eY2rGQt.gif
1000KB, 500x268px
>>48496017

I feel bad for a lot of them. I think the only ones I dislike genuinely are the one's who have unwarranted self importance, are rude because they can be, and think they know more than you do when they clearly know jack shit.

also

>dat worldview
>>
>>48495340
That was pretty creepy actually.
>>
>>48495758
Which site are you using to make this? Also, I would suggest Invisibility, especially if you have a stealthy person in the party. Rope Trick is pretty useful, too, but only if your group takes many short rests.
>>
>>48496098
I wish they would expand the whole gear list. Something along the lines of lowering the die size but including a nifty ability.

Hmm like A basic dager goes from d4 to d2 but you can grapple with it and it allows Dexterity (climb) checks.

Or a great ax from d12 to d10 but gains brutal.
>>
File: 1451352165298.png (698KB, 764x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1451352165298.png
698KB, 764x1080px
Hey guys, I'm not sure of this is the right thread to ask in, but I'm the DM of my friend group and we're about to head back to college. We'd like to maintain some sort of campaign/connection until winter break, maybe via email.

Do any of you have advice on that?
>>
I've been playing a Monster Hunter Fighter who uses a hand crossbow as their main weapon in a Curse of Strahd game for a bit. Very Witcher-like (although I didn't start playing the game until after I made the character).

Just leveled up to level 6. I've taken Crossbow Expert and Alchemist (from the most recent UA) so far for my feats. Any suggestions for my next feat? I was thinking about Sharpshooter to round out my crossbow skills, but I was also considering Shield Expert (since you can use shields with hand crossbows without restriction) or Magic Initiate (since a lot of enemies like werewolves have physical resistance or creatures like skeletons having piercing resistance, as well as pick up some healing).

Any suggestions for good feats or other things to keep an eye out for?
>>
>>48496145
PBP or setup your game on roll20.
>>
>>48496153
Max your dex before you take another feat.
>>
>>48496015
in the best case scenario, (without mobile) you're going to be either picking on whatever the paladin or fighter are already hitting, or going for solo enemies. you're going to play a little bit like a rogue, in the sense that the enemies you target shouldn't be a "fair fight" or with enemy advantage. hit things already being hit, stay off to the side where less enemies can target/AoO you, that sort of stuff

>>48496078
>>48496084
given what you're saying about the healing/buffing focus, and the fluff you're giving out
it kinda sounds like a fluffed nature cleric would be preferred
and dont forget clerics dont NEED a god, they can worship their aspect in some way. Bam, you're a smelly hermit who worships nature (like a druid) but you're a cleric
>>
File: tumblr_mb5pvfrfbx1qc3272o1_1280.jpg (211KB, 1280x858px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mb5pvfrfbx1qc3272o1_1280.jpg
211KB, 1280x858px
>>48496104

>all alone

>at the bottom...
>>
>>48496145
I've honestly been using Tabletop Simulator to great success with a group of 3 of us. 2 live in the UK so naturally this would be impossible for us all to play in real life.

It has its faults, sure, but for the most part it has been fun and the ability to virtually roll dice make it a little more personal and immersive for everyone.

They added in a VR feature too so if you have that capability I can see it being pretty enjoyable.
>>
>>48496172
Is the extra accuracy/damage/AC that important? I'm not missing too many shots or lacking in DPS.
>>
>>48496098

I kinda like it how it is, because I can fluff it how I want without getting screwed.

A valor bard can use a rapier and a buckler, and they're not worse off than taking that rapier and a tower shield, which wouldn't make a lot of sense.
>>
>>48496153
>>48496202
+2 to stat should be your next feat. sharpshooter needs accuracy you probably dont have yet. i wouldn't really bother with magic initiate, im not sure what you would expect to get with it since it uses a casting stat for most all attack ones, but you already have range obviously, and thats a big bonus to learning a cantrip.
>>
>>48496141
>Out tank dies who had Plate Armor.
>I take off his breast plate and put it on as Breast Plate armor.
>DM: You can't do that.
>Why not? That's literally what it is.
>DM: No you have to either find it, craft it, or buy it.
>I cant just mix it with bits and pieces of the chain shirt I am wearing now and just get a AC of 14?
>DM: No!
>>
>>48495758
Is your DM allowing Elemental Evil stuff?

If so, Ice Knife is pretty amazing.
>>
>>48496202
Max your dex. It's mathematically huge.
>>
>>48496098
I think a cool idea for Tower Shields would be something like

>You can use your reaction to gain half cover against ranged attacks.
>Whenever you take the Dodge action, you also gain half cover against any attacks.
And maybe it reduces your speed by 5ft or something like that.
>>
>>48496184
I will look over a Cleric then, thanks. If I go with Druid I will look into sticking with healing and supplement buffs and debuffs with crowd control seeing as that maybe more useful.
>>
>>48496301
I would totally take a speed reduction and also put a STR requirement for it somehwhere around 14STR or so. Half cover would be cool cause it opens up a Passive Crossbowmen playstyle.
>>
>>48496202
To explain, you will do a ton of attacks so while it's just a +1 to hit and damage that's much more important than something like situational attack cantrips, ignoring cover now and then, and especially shield master since you can't even shield attack them without being in melee. There is also the bonuses to AC, initiative, a strong save, Stealth and Acrobatics. Even strength characters should max their str first, and they don't get all the extra goodies, as a dex character it is even better.
>>
>>48496334
Fair enough. You've sold me
>>
>>48496304
of the option, cleric is a much better buffer, and attacks similarly (shillelagh). while his level up abilities are also probably better, if his domain spell list isn't "naturey" enough for you, you should probably stick druid.
that being said, you're still walking around wacking people with a stick. and cleric trades more "naturey" things for the ability to "use his nature magics to cause his attacks to blah blah blah nature" you could even ask your dm to add acid to the list of options instead of cold, and be extra swampy
>>
>>48496324
I really want to run a scenario with an army of hobgoblins, the front with big shields taking the dodge action, second line with reach weapons, and perhaps a rear with some ranged/spellcaster types. Sounds like it could make a very interesting fight.
>>
>>48496153
Playing the same type of theme in the same Campaign anon ceapt with a Ranger. I'm this anon >>48495265 try to max Dex cause those other feats are good enough. But you may have bonned yourself.

I dunno but CoS does not seem the favor the physical damage range types for the most part as there is very little silver weapons let alone ammunition. Also a repeating crossbow is needed.

Though I could be wrong. I'm lvl 7 myself and am only close to finishing the campaign.
>>
>>48496388
>i want my hobgoblins to be legions combined with tericos
im not sure if hobgoblins are smart enough for that shit
>>
>>48495940
Actually reading through UA Blade Master might be a solid pick. Though I don't know if I can take it cause our DM is sticking pretty solidly with AL rules.
>>
>>48496438
I kinda get where he is coming from. I mean I play Hobgoblins as just "slightly" organized fighters who keep to the basic of strategies when in combat just so it's a bit fun for me to when I deploy them against the party. It's a lot better than "A swarm of Goblins rush and try to pile up on everyone then run away screaming as they start losing." I can see his idea working though if maybe he had a character "non-goblinoid" leading them.
>>
File: 1440800827553.jpg (62KB, 694x530px) Image search: [Google]
1440800827553.jpg
62KB, 694x530px
>lfg on roll20
>find one that looks promising
>This campaign is a safe space. Be PC :)
>>
>>48496580
At least they let you know what not to join.
I see "lgbtbbq friendly" and I know exactly where I don't want to be.
>>
>>48496438
>tericos
Hey, Hobgoblin Warlords have 14 Int and Captains have 12. Besides, their whole schtick is military prowess and strategic thinking. I'd say that's not far-fetched at all. I could even throw in a refluffed Orc Eye of Gruumsh for good measure.
>>
File: 180224.jpg (1MB, 900x1286px) Image search: [Google]
180224.jpg
1MB, 900x1286px
Anyone have the Baba Yaga stats from

Baba-Yaga-Boss-Stats-5E pdf
>>
>>48496599
i'm not /pol/ or anything but when I see shit like that I just know to avoid it, it's too bad
>>
>>48496621
Most tabletop players tend to be fucking weird - I don't need more weird on top of that is how I see it.
>>
>>48496438
Also I didn't meant to greentext "tericos" but now I'd like to ask what is that? English is not my native language, and google isn't helping.
>>
>>48496580
>Be human
>Call a rude Elf "Knife Ears."
>Human townspeople around me all apparently get offended and get a bad reputation in town as "that racist guy."

Would have been funny if not for the fact that our DM was a pretty big SJW.
>>
>>48496603
i could see it if they had a smart leader, you're right. i just dont see base John Q Hobgoblin capable of training his people to do it, let alone combining the two separate strategies effectively

that being said, "army" means different things. if youre fighting 12 bugbears doing this in a hallway, its one thing. if its an actual proper military, thats another
>>
>>48496638
tericos were a spanish military unit type from the 16th century
it used pikes, swords, and firearms into an (at the time) unheard of unit that had insane combat capabilities, especially against cavalry (which dominated war at the time)

it was basically the hard counter against ponies
>>
Let's got talk about NPCs.

>>48496716
>>48496716
>>48496716
>>
>>48496580

Is it actually phrased like that?

My group has a gay guy, a lesbian and a bi dude, so we ask if you're ok with that, but there's no bullshit about safe space.

Shit, we make jokes that'd get me fired from work constantly.
>>
>>48495229
>Reminder that 5e is better than 3.5 in every regard except sheer content mass.
again i disagree that its better in every way besides content mass, but 5e is certainly better than 3.5.
>Reminder that all rogue archetypes are great, but thief and arcane trickster are both markedly better than assassin in general strength and utility.
thief master race. assassin is strong, but rogues are already not really good team classes, they're generally stealthier than everyone else in the party, and assassin adds some more solo oriented abilities to that.
>Reminder that if you're a barbarian you should be reckless attacking every single round of combat while raging unless you'd already have advantage against your target.
true
>Reminder that the Healer feat is actually good at all levels, just especially the early ones, especially on a thief archetype rogue.
true
>Reminder that Heavy Armor Master is likewise good at all levels.
true
>Reminder that frenzied berserker barbarian objectively sucks dick as an archetype.
false. it does the most damage of any class/archetype using great weapon master, but at great cost.
>Reminder that way of the long death monks are essentially the tankiest class in the game pre-20 and post-11.
i guess.
>Reminder that if you take the alert feat, you can essentially ignore your perception stat and let other people do the "I see something interesting out of place" for you, since you're straight covered (more than even the highest perception dudes) for combat in that regard anyway.
i... what?
>Reminder of remembrance, reminding you to remember.
facts
>>
File: d47181939e22dad5.png (1MB, 675x3365px) Image search: [Google]
d47181939e22dad5.png
1MB, 675x3365px
>>48496141
I'm working on a huge homebrew document of this stuff
>>
Is blaster caster sorcerer ever not a mistake?
Thread posts: 355
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.