[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Owlbear Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 349
Thread images: 36

File: owlbear.jpg (90KB, 736x1012px) Image search: [Google]
owlbear.jpg
90KB, 736x1012px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Old thread
>>48343659

You are using owlbears in your game, aren't you?
>>
File: image.jpg (317KB, 597x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
317KB, 597x800px
>>48350476
>owlbears
Of course. They're my favorite monster of all time. But the 5e design is fucking horrible.
>>
File: 1280px-Sun_Bear_3.jpg (167KB, 1280x852px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Sun_Bear_3.jpg
167KB, 1280x852px
>Party finds adorable, lovable, playful and social owlbear cubs in the woods
>1d6 rounds of playing with them before the session becomes The Revenant
>>
Anyone ever have a good roll20 campaign?

been a part of three now and they've all fallen apart within a month or two and none of them have been very enjoyable

also yes of course op, however the owlbear I had got destroyed by my party pretty quickly due to rolls.
>>
>>48350845
I've had one with people I know irl that lasted for over a year. With strangers, I'm in a few right now, and at least two of them seem pretty solid. One is Curse of Strahd and the other is a homebrew text-only. Going smooth so far.
>>
>>48350845
I've got a group via Roll20 that's been going almost every week for a year now. Super heavy on the RP, everyone is friendly and great. Best group I've ever had.

Buuut I've also been in five or six terrible ones via Roll20 over the last few years.
>>
How would you do the spell Steal Time in 5e? It was a 4e wizard spell attacking Will, that stunned the target for a turn and gave you an extra action. Is that too powerful, or is the all-or-nothing effect mitigating?
>>
>>48350476
>You are using owlbears in your game, aren't you?
I don't understand the question; are there people who DON'T use owlbears?
Also, can I just say how fucking glad I am that we aren't the Pathfinder Generals? Holy shit those are a fuckfest. It's like a net that only captures total degenerates and lets sane people filter through onto other games at this point.. It's so bad that I'm almost inclined to think it was fiction had I not just checked one of them out.
>>
>>48350845
I'm in two good campaigns. Granted, the first one, in which I'm a player, is on it's third DM... but the players have stuck together, at least. The second, I'm DMing, and it has been going for about 7-8 months, now. Now that I think about it, it's been progressing rather slowly, seeing as the party is still 5th level. We've missed many sessions for lack of players, though.

On the other hand, I've joined two other campaigns which were not as good, one was filled with overpowered NPCs (including a vampire lady immune to radiant damage whose spells had a save DC of 26), the other had an asshole bodyguard NPC that kept threatening the party and almost killed two of us, even though the DM intended us to work for his boss, and stuff like "give me an acrobatics check to not step over the child's drawings".
>>
File: Owlberries.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Owlberries.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>48350625
>>
What are some fancy materials/manufacturing methods fluff I can add to +X weapons/armor?
>>
>>48351448
Check out the tables on DMG pg. 142-143. They're criminally underused.
>>
TLDR: Can a NPC divine caster change spells after a long rest?

Question:

Are Paladin or Cleric NPCs with prepared spell lists limited to those spells after a long rest? If the NPCS travels with the party members for an extended period of time, could they draw upon their divine powers and prepare new spells or are they limited to the spells on their prepared spell list?

We have a 16th level Paladin walking around and my DM and I disagree on this point. I know wizards and Sorcerers are limited to their spells known, so their prepared spell lists in the monster manual are more stringent, but divine casters aren't bound to those constraints. If yall think it's up to the DM to decide, I'll accept it.
>>
>>48351656
Of course it's up to the GM to decide, but there's really no reason why they couldn't. Hell I don't know why you couldn't make such a request in character like "do you know how to heal an X" or "do you have any idea tricks for dealing with Y". More likely your DM just doesn't want to read the whole list of spell descriptions
>>
>>48351090
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Our namefags making a chatroom was the worst thing that ever happened to the general. Now that the decent human beings don't have to put up with the pervs and shitposters to hang out with each other, they don't bother. Now, only degenerates are left.
>>
>>48351448
>>48351460
I see that some of those add a bit of crunch, (half weight, glows faintly, +2 to initiative) and am thinking about coming up with other things of that sort. I know 5e is allergic to lots of little bonuses and maluses, but if they're persistent it's less of a problem. What about any of these (on armor):

+X to a saving throw
+X to max HP
-X to a specific damage type (ie, fire, or piercing)
>>
>>48351656
>>48351656
I would have thought yes cause don't pally normally change/prepare their spells if needed? I know they need a long rest but they can do that.

but I would have though the GM would have kept the skill the same since it can become a hassle or annoying
>>
>>48351919
Saving throw bonus is pretty big since that's like half a magic item right there (I'd say one is probably fine though), and when you say bonus HP it's hard to imagine a number that is both meaningful but not too much (10 maybe?). The specific damage one is kind of also in the same boat. I'd just save the damage type one for the more badass armors and have it be resistance to keep mechanical consistency, but if the number is less than 5 it probably wouldn't break the game until more material that works like heavy armor mastery comes out (basically never outside of homebrew at this rate)
>>
>>48351919
>>48352086
if the issue is giving too much saves throw then you can just say double existing proficiency on X save throw

I agree with the issue with HP but it depend to how you giving to,cause if it to caster then maybe give 5-10 hp if melee/tanky class then dont, they have high enough AC giving more Hp is just making them a boring meatshield
which is the same with reducing damage

if anything you should go back to thoe magical bonuses.. silent steps- grant guidance at will
>>
WHERE IS THE FUCKING UA
>>
As an example, mindpatterned armor was a technique developed by mind flayers and stolen by the gith, where the neural structures of the wearer are mirrored in the weave of the fabric, providing some protection against psychic assault. Another example is starweave, where the particular weave of the cloth replicates constellations associated with protection and/or battle.
>>
>>48352371
Sometimes it seems like all mindflayers ever do is make things that get used against them
>>
>>48352510
To be fair, the garments have to be custom made to the individuals neural structures. If you just put on a mind flayers robe, it mental patterns infect yours, similar to mad cow disease or other brain prion ailments.
>>
Is there any place in 5e for Blaster Wizards? In 3e it didn't matter what type of Wizard you made because they were all powerful but in 5e I never see people talk about Evocation Wizards so I was wondering if it was viable.
>>
>>48352627
They're fine, but I think a lot of people who want that sort of thing probably play warlocks or sorcerers instead
>>
>>48351229
Dragons crown. Awesome
>>
>>48352627
Evocation wizards are there.
They're fun.
But their school bonuses are kinda boring, honestly.
>you choose who doesn't get hit by your AOEs
>attack roll spells do half damage on a miss
>more damage
>>
>>48352690
>>48352627
Warlocks aren't as good at area spells, and sorcerers aren't as good at shooting them off safely. Careful Spell only guarantees that your friends will succeed at their saves against your spells, which usually means they still take half damage. Evokers are the most reliable slingers of fireballs because they're the only class who can truly put holes in their fireballs.
>>
Fuuuuuck, having the worst writers block. I cannot for the life of me come up with an adventure for my next session. Rogue , Bard and Druid in Good/Neutral party. World setting is pretty grimdark and mostly set in cities.

Fuck. Ideas /fat/g/uys? Unfair challenges/npcs/ideas.. anything?
>>
>>48353650
Crime syndicate smuggles an undead necromancer in a coffin in the city, then uses him(her) to bolster its numbers. Also skeletons dig up things from old tombs and steal trinkets from crypts.
>>
File: Random adventure.png (246KB, 1194x2176px) Image search: [Google]
Random adventure.png
246KB, 1194x2176px
>>48353650
>>
>>48351919
>>48352086
>>48352146
For the HP, just give the item a small number of charges that can be used to cast 'False Life' as a bonus action, gain more at midnight /midday.
>>
>>48353520
I mean, what other kind of abilities would they have anon?
>>
What does /tg/ think of homebrew bard colleges out there?
I'm thinking of trying out college of Maestro but only because it seems to be the one whos recieved the most feeback.
>>
Anyone who got the Heroes of the Orient: Player's and DM's Companion from Dmguild?
Otherwise i will buy it and Post it later
>>
>>48353915
This is the link to it
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/187283/Heroes-of-the-Orient-Players-and-DMs-Companion?sorttest=true

Sounds pretty promising for an eastern style campaign or a far traveller background
>>
>>48353813
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them.
They're just a little boring compared to "gain permanent control of undead" or "give yourself free HP"
>>
I am just wonder for fluff purposes since I am going for lock-sorc
can a Serpent Old God like Yig imbue draconic power into my character
>>
>>48354119
You're playing a sorlock.
People are going to think you're a powergaming faggot even if you have a backstory, so who cares?
>>
>>48354119
>5e
>Multiclassing
>>
Why are we still playing this abandoned piece of vapourware?
>>
>>48354130
oh ok... it kinda cause my GM like to make sure the fluff makes sense or not

>>48354162
well because in my current game I notice mind reading and shit it pretty cool and all and sorc meta like quickness and subtle seem useful so that is why
>>
What is a good set of levels to maximize Scorlock Hexblade?
>>
>>48354166
Still a better alternative than the others.
>>
>>48354214
>looks at /pfg/
I guess you're right.
>>
File: reaper.png (3KB, 341x142px) Image search: [Google]
reaper.png
3KB, 341x142px
I just bought a bunch of reaper bones miniatures and one of them was fucked up. This was the email I got when I told them about it.

You da real MVP
>>
>>48350845
My group met online and have been using roll20 for a few years. We've played a good 4 campaigns with mostly the same people.
>>
>>48350476
did 5e keep the amazing fluff nuggets, like owlbears being created by some wizards just fucking around.
Or that they are active from noon to till midnight because they are a mix of a nocturnal and diurnal creature.
>>
>>48354297
"An owlbear emerges from its den around sunset and hunts into the darkest hours of the night"

"Scholars have long debated the origins of the owlbear. The most common theory is that a demented wizard created the first specimen by crossing a giant owl with a bear. However, venerable elves claim to have known these creatures for thousands of years, and some fey insist that owlbears have always existed in the Feywild."
>>
File: DND-next-owlbear.png (153KB, 561x315px) Image search: [Google]
DND-next-owlbear.png
153KB, 561x315px
>>48354342
>Scholars have long debated the origins of the owlbear. The most common theory is that a demented wizard created the first specimen by crossing a giant owl with a bear. However, venerable elves claim to have known these creatures for thousands of years, and some fey insist that owlbears have always existed in the Feywild
That's actually a mixture of classic owlbear origin and 4e one.

Also, a much nicer owlbear from earlier 5e days
>>
>>48353915
>>48353932
Okay guys, i just bought
Ravenloft Archetypes 1/2
Al Qadim Archetypes
and Eastern Archetypes

Anyone want me to upload the pdf´s?
>>
>>48354228
Reaper has been my favourite source for D&D minis for a while now, they're good dudes
>>48354390
Ravenloft would be sweet, if you don't mind
>>
>>48354374
>However, venerable elves claim to have known these creatures for thousands of years
trying to imply this conflicts with it being a demented wizard's creation. Elves can be demented wizards too.

>some fey insist
believe the fey about anything.
>>
How's this for a sorcerer exclusive spell. Not sure if it should be a cantrip or a first level spell.
>First Level
>Target: Self
>components: S, M: small bits of dust, glass, and mushrooms
>roll an effect on the wild magic surge table
>>
File: Ninja_Gaiden_big1.jpg (67KB, 800x876px) Image search: [Google]
Ninja_Gaiden_big1.jpg
67KB, 800x876px
What's the verdict on the way of shadow monk?
>>
>>48354390
Those all sound pretty neat, yes please.
>>
Is there a good +1 dex feat that could benefit a monk?

I see athlete but I'm not sure how big of a bonus that will be compared to the things a monk can already do. I mean I'll probably use kip-up since it seems handy and like a monk thing to do, but other than that it doesn't seem super beneficial.
>>
>>48354411
>>48354510
My upload rate sucks but will deliver the others later in this thread.
have some Al Qadim meanwhile
30 minutes to go
>>
>>48354524
There's really not much in the way of feats that give a bonus to dex. I personally like Mobile as a feat for Monks though.
>>
Okay, so...was the New Content Mike Mearls alluding to on twitter yesterday the new Sage Advice or was that out before his enigmatic tweet about new content launching on the website?

Where is the Unearthed Arcana? I would quite like the chance to pour over some new things so we can bitch about them.

Also, how is everyone doing in Curse of Strahd if they are still playing adventurers league?
>>
>>48354592
He said that there was something else in addition to the Sage Advice. It hasn't gone up yet, last I checked.
>>
How would you handle called shots?
>>
>>48354581
>Al-Quadim
>russian bogatyrs
>>
>>48354669
Depending on the called shot, disadvantage and/or increase to the target AC. Depending on the circumstances, if the player hits the normal AC but not the called shot AC, the attack may still hit as normal. The smaller or more mobile the target, the higher the penalty should be.
>>
Instead of advantage/disadvantage, how about blatantly stealing from shadow of the demon lord, with benefits and boons? This would let players stack advantage/disadvantage, but in a usually intuitive way.
>>
>>48351656

Fairly certain that Paladins and Clerics can prepare new spells a day. I'm pretty sure it's explicitly stated somewhere in the book.
>>
>>48354669
Most of the time I'd just ask the player what they're aiming for and then resolve the attack completely as normal. Maybe it'll determine what appears to happen if they score a critical hit. It's already assumed that a character is aiming for the best possible targets when they make attacks.
>>
>>48353520

Overchannel is probably one of my favorite abilities, flavor wise. It's also useful for making sure whatever you want dead stays dead.
>>
>>48353520
Why not just go warlock for blasty with good thematic abilities?
>>
>>48354592
I played the first session of CoS at some kind of convention, the party consisted of mostly pregens. There were three dex based Mountain Dwarf fighters, one halfling fighter, one arcana cleric (me) and two others.

In the quest where we meet the all-powerful witch-demon thing, one of our three dwarves walked up to the sacred elk, snapped its neck in one quick move and is now wearing its head as a helmet.
>>
>>48354581
Don't sweat it, thanks anon !
>>
>>48354793
Different kinds of blasty. Warlocks are for lasers that fuck up one or two guys. Evokers are for big wide fireballs that fuck up every bad guy in the room.
>>
>>48354839
Warlocks have more 5th level slots to blast with though.
>>
>>48354669
If an attack is being made with advantage, the player can elect to make a called shot. If they do so, the attack is made with disadvantage, and has an additional effect if it hits. Work with the player to determine an appropriate result. For example, a shot to the eye could mean additional damage, and disadvantage on perception checks.
>>
>>48354847
But they have fewer spell slots as a whole. It's not even a fair comparison. Wizards might have one or two fewer fifth-level spells at a high level, but they also have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th-level spell slots, while the warlock has none of these.
>>
>>48354828
>>48354510
>>48354411
Mega Link for the Ravenloft stuff
https://mega.nz/#!uNgw1D7C!kzhVPMuE9YJqiAAcOrdCBJY7ZyDMI90Oou543FhSaeU
>>
>>48351229
If they're herbivores, why do they fuck up every adventure party within a 20km radius?
>>
>>48355037
You could say the same thing about hippos
>>
>>48354861

And if I shoot somebody wearing full plate but no helmet in the head are they AC 10?

Likewise shooting somebody wearing a breastplate in the leg ?
>>
>>48354411
>>48354581
>>48354510
>>48354967
>>48354828
And here you go with the Mega link for the Eastern Setting PDF
https://mega.nz/#!2UwEwQyD!hDiI9GNC5XWArR84KRjLvzOuhNG0O1rMUoOau54Zf-I

Enjoy it fellow anons, sharing is caring
>>
So I just played a session and I don’t know if I did something wrong.
I was the DM, and my players wanted to buy some equipment, I’m fairly liberal with giving them money so they all had a great sum of gold. When they tried to buy the items they wanted I put the prices really high, thinking they would haggle for it. It went double or even triple the “normal” price. None of them choose to haggle for any of it. So now, despite me having showered them in gold in previous sessions, are now almost out of gold. One of them are.

Did I fuck up? Should I have said outright that I expected them to haggle? Was it just them not trying?
>>
>>48355153
People in Western societies are desensitized to prices. They don't haggle and think you are being unnecessarily cheap if you do.
>>
>>48355153
unless the merchant seemed especially shady, or you guys normally haggle, then just fix it next time
either give them more gold and always charge more knowing they wont haggle, give them less and tell them to haggle, or normalize the prices/rewards
>>
>>48355153
Sounds like they're probably new players, and don't really understand the idea of haggling. I recently started DMing for a few friends, and its their first time playing, so they make these mistakes a lot as well. Typically during the course of the game, I let it go. After the fact I'll mention "by the way, you know you can do x, right?"

As an example, they were recently hunting a werewolf that when it was losing the fight went wolf form and darted away. Instead of trying to track it, they shrugged and went "oh well, he got away." After the game I had mentioned that if they had tried to track it down, they probably wouldn't have had much trouble since it was bleeding pretty bad at the time. In the most recent game, they took that lesson to heart. One player went off tracking a giant, and after he died (don't go chasing giants solo!) the others wound up tracking his body down and recovering it.

While you should be careful to avoid giving away too much, or telling your players what they should be doing, it's always nice to remind players that they have options. Whether it's something that should wait until after the game, or be brought up during the game is for your best judgment. The newer the players, and the more obvious the thing they're overlooking is, the more likely it is that you should mention it during the game itself. Or at least try to give them some hints.
>>
>>48355153

Was there a story based reason for them to charge that much like they were greedy merchants or thieves selling exotic stolen goods ?

If not then yeah I'd say you made a mistake here but it happens.

As a rule of thumb haggling kind of sucks as the players have no accurate clue of the economy of the world to do so most of the time and will always go to extremes or either wanting grossly huge discounts for rolling vaguely well on Charisma or as in your case pay an exorbitant amount without realising. In general I'd just allow one CHA roll and knock 10% off or add 10% on to the price and leave it at that.

You can fix it by just giving them extra gold next quest and dialing down costs, or perhaps plant a seed that these guys were seedy and let the players get their gold back / apprehend the greedy merchants.

I mean I was recently running the Phandelver Starter Adventure and the players managed to clear the mine. The Dwarf offered them a stake of 10% in the mine as part of the quest reward. Which it suggests in the module itself.

Our Dwarven Cleric who is meant to be related to the Dwarven Miner decided that this was so low that he was trying to screw them all over and demanded more for everybody angrily then tried to persuade him to near kill himself fighting.

So... .at least you have nice trusting, accomodating players.
>>
>>
When making an encounter with Galeb Duhr, does it count as only one CR 6 monster or multiple CR 6 monsters?
>>
>>48355289
This is more or less exactly how it is. They are really new to the game, and that’s the reason I’m the DM. And sometime I really have to poke at them to do things.
In the session we just had the came to a puzzle where they had to reflect a magic beam onto a crystal using a silver mirror they had just found. After looking at it for a while and throwing a firebolt at it they gave up and tried to go away. This was a main plot dungeon might I add. So after poking at them for a moment they figured it out and continued.

>>48355340
They were trying to buy exotic goods yes, but just from some ‘high tier’ merchants.

>So... .at least you have nice trusting, accomodating players.
That they are. But that’s fine, we’re all having fun.
>>
>>48355037
Because momma is 1 ton of muscle and razor sharp claws, and she is not going to entertain the idea of you getting near her babies.
>>
>>48355418
Only one. since making two more is a part of the monster. sorta like that zombies can come back after you kill them, it's still only one zombie.
>>
So, 5EG:

I'm doing a 5E version of a Pathfinder adventure. The rules conversion, sure that's easy, whatever.

The thing is, 5E has the most miserable monster manual and NPC support I've ever seen in my life.

How exactly do I square an adventure style fairly centered around NPCs being constant and challenging encounters for PCs when 5E seems to be based around generic templates and the "approved" monsters in the manual, with no actual options for interesting challenges or specializations?

"Just pretend" is a shit answer.
>>
>>48355445
Good to know, thanks!
>>
>>48355460
You could make a custom one. It’s possible but takes some planning and thinking through. Or you could take some of the other monsters in the monster manual and just mix them together.
>>
>>48355037
They are probably omnivorous like bears
>>
>>48355460
You can make your NPCs have whatever abilities, and items you feel are appropriate. The DMG has pretty good guidelines for how to set the CR of an enemy. There are plenty of creatures for you to pull inspiration from in the MM, but you can also pull in abilities from pathfinder and tweak them to work in 5e.

One of the most important rules that the 5e books try to constantly instill in both DMs and Players is that the books are a guideline, and it's up to you to decide what should be changed, or modified to suit your needs, or the needs of your group or campaign. It's more time consuming to "homebrew" enemies, rather than pull them from the MM, but it often winds up with more interesting results.
>>
>>48355055
True enuff
>>
>>48355460
There are rules in the DMG for building custom monsters. They're okay, but I recommend you bump up the guidelines 2 levels from what is presented in the DMG, because it goes a bit too easy on the players.

Additionally, look up koboldfightclub. It has monsters that follow these guidelines from resources beyond the MM. It'll point you to the pages in the specific pdfs to find them, but it won't give you the pdfs. You'll have to find those yourself (check the OP links).

Finally, for NPCs, you can just stat them up yourself as if a player was making a character. Don't do this for every NPC, but it can make special NPCs feel special.
>>
>>48354581
>Fighter weapon style gives them climb and swim speed

Yeah, nah, fuck off.
>>
>>48355784
Wasn't there literally one of those in a UA? Like, the second UA? Waterborne Adventures? Mariner?
>>
>>48355815
Yep there was
>>
>>48355815
It was retarded then, and it is retarded now. Why should a single fighting style give the bonus equivalent of Defensive (+1 AC), on top of swim and climb speed?
>>
>>48355860
because the fighting style is about fighting in environments where swim and climb speed are useful?

Are you one of those balance fags?
>>
File: 5_2371.jpg (34KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
5_2371.jpg
34KB, 600x338px
>>48355860
Didn't it also have the caveat that you had to be wearing light or medium armor? You need to be willing to throw some Dex in to make it useful. And while climbing/swimming speeds are nice and thematic, are they really that useful? They're situational, and there are multiple ways to get them. Besides, while you're climbing that wall, other classes eventually get ways to levitate over it, teleport to the top, or fucking run up it.
>>
>>48355892
Why the fuck should they get swim and climb speed ON TOP of the same bonus another style gets?
Mariner is Defensive and (½)Second-Story Work in one feature (plus swim speed). Except the Mariner gets a proper climb speed, unlike the Thief Rogue.

>but muh Medium Armor
Being forced into medium armor is hardly a large drawback.
>>
>>48355892
That isn't the part he is arguing.

Style A) gives +1 defense situationally.
Style B) gives +1 defense situationally and swim/climb speed.

Are these equal?
>>
>>48355982
No, but who cares?
>>
>>48356015
Anyone that doesn't want ridiculous amounts of power creep?
>>
>>48356024
>getting swim/climb speed
>ridiculous
>power creep.

Lotta implications you have there, may want to check em.
>>
>>48350476
Owlbears are fantastic. Here is an issue of Dungeon magazine with a cool adventure heavily featuring owlbears.

>THE OWLBEAR RUN
>Every summer, Duke Hightower holds a competition quite different from the traditional jousting and archery tournaments held by similar lords of his station. The rules of his tournament change from year to year, and, to oversee the games, the duke has appointed two wizard brothers who help choose the setting and create the rules and challenges of the competition.
>This year the competition is called the “Owlbear Run,” an overland race that requires each participating team to escort a live owlbear from the town of Telvorn to the town of Milvorn. The teams will face a variety of challenges; some are devised by the wizards, others by the competing teams or their sponsors, and some occur entirely at random. All of these tests are in addition to the challenges inherent in motivating a temperamental owlbear.
>Fortune and fame await the first team to cross the finish line, and the local lords sponsoring the race are eager to enlist skilled champions for their causes
>>
>>48356074
Mariner is objectively better than every other fighting style. It is the very definition of power creep.
>>
What stats can i give to a caster kobold for level 1 pcs to fight?
>>
>>48356098
It is objectively better than Defensive*
>>
>>48356098
I don't deny that, but who cares? the vanillia shit was deliberately underpowered to appease the grognards who absolutely did not want interesting rules. (The champion fighter wasn't enough for them).

This is a slight power creep that goes in an interesting and appropriate direction. It's fine.
>>
>>48356098
>definition of power creep
>in something that is totally and absolutely stated to be open for edits and improvements
>even then in a universe where Tunnel Fighter exists with it's ability to literally give you infinite attacks of opportunity
>>
>>48356156
Your objection was that it was not power creep. Since you admit that it is indeed power creep, your argument no longer holds water.
If you want to add stuff for a maritime fighter go ahead, but it should not be done in the place of their fighting style, which intentionally only affects their weapons or armor; things like "swims like a fish" (swim speed) or "climbs like a squirrel" (climb speed) has no place in a fighting style.

One could suggest that the Mariner adds +1 to the max DEX AC bonus when wearing light or medium armor. They could also not suffer any drawbacks when swimming or climbing in light or medium armor.
The last part refers to non-existant rules, but in a campaign where the Mariner would be used (maritime ones, as it were), such rules would seem prudent to add.

>>48356221
UA is a mess of power creep and badly designed features that should be avoided, agreed. But that they are taken word-for-word and used in other material is concerning, it shows that the designers (of that Al-Qadim .pdf, in the context of this conversation) are completely out of touch with the core rules.

Not that I expected any less from random shit found on the DM's Guild.
>>
>>48356260
>which intentionally only affects their weapons or armor; things like "swims like a fish" (swim speed) or "climbs like a squirrel" (climb speed) has no place in a fighting style.

UA proves you wrong. Wizards is open to testing other things. There's nothing inherent about a fighting style that keeps it from adding benefits outside of weapon/defense bonuses.

And again, we're back to >balance fag.

Balance in an rpg is a silly thing. It is meant to be taken quite liberally, and the only thing that is really a problem are the growing divides between casters and martials. Adding swim speed to a fighting style about fighting on the open seas is only a balance issue in your tiny little head.
>>
File: 1431466973581.jpg (178KB, 650x813px) Image search: [Google]
1431466973581.jpg
178KB, 650x813px
>>48356024
>>48356098
>>48356119
It's not objectively better, since it doesn't work with all of the armor types that Defensive does. It provides situational bonuses, and you need to meet the stricter armor requirements.
It certainly isn't better for offense than the offensive Fighting Styles. Those have far bigger power discrepancies than Mariner and Defense. Dueling gives a one handed weapon +2 damage, but GWF gives a two handed weapon somewhere between 0.83 and 1.3 if I remember. And TWF is bad just because the mechanics for dual wielding are bad for any class that isn't Rogue.
>>
>>48354166
>Continuous belief that a book is like a video game, requiring constant fucking massaging of the player base's genitals by releasing new content
I will never understand this.
>>
>>48356308
It is objectively better because it makes the fighter as good at climbing as a Thief Rogue (without Expertise, admittedly), and better at swimming than the Thief ever is. Medium armor is NOT a drawback of any significance, and not at all significant enough to warrant getting swim and climb speeds.
I agree that Dueling is a bit much, or GWF/TWF a bit weak (TWF especially is really bad this edition, not that I care a wit about that; rapier/dagger aside, dual wielding is a shitty meme style). I think that in their attempt to make the styles significantly different mechanically (rerolling dice, adding a static bonus, adding ability mod. bonus) they slightly missed the mark on internal balance.

>>48356307
>le balance is badwrongfun
Why are you not playing 3.5e then? You can find all sorts of feats and class features to build your dream sailor of overpowered munchkiness.
>>
>>48356455
I never said balance is bad wrong fun, only that this is not unbalanced.
>>
>>48356466
>Balance in an rpg is a silly thing.

Is that not your own words? Will you plead insanity?
>>
>>48356307
Given that we also had someone in this thread complaining that 5e doesn't have 18 books full of monsters and he'll have to make some himself, there's apparently way too many people who don't realize that DMs have all the fucking power over the system as it gets used at the table.
>>
>>48356475
are you pleading insanity? Because "balance in an rpg is a silly thing" is not "balance is badwrongfun"

Read the context of the statements anon for more clues as to their meaning!
>>
>>48356455
>(TWF especially is really bad this edition, not that I care a wit about that; rapier/dagger aside, dual wielding is a shitty meme style)
get an extra attack just by holding a weapon in your offhand?
It can't be buffed up by stacking feats and such like in 3.5, but it's also really easy to get into.
>>
>>48356455
Is it wrong that two subsets of martial classes can climb as fast as they walk? As I said above, many casters have some spell they might use to invalidate a wall, by levitating, teleporting, or even just climbing it. Shadow monks can teleport up it, and any monk can just walk up it when they get that feature. Perhaps there's not many options for swimming, but 2 races (water genasi and variant half sea elves) get a swim speed as little more than a ribbon.
I think you're still overestimating the value of climbing/swimming.
>>
>>48354211
What level character? What level do you expect to play to?
>>
>>48354460
It's good but it's not the best monk. It has multiclass synergy with rogue and warlock.
>>
>>48356494
You are correct in that they are not exactly the same words, but saying that balance is "silly" implies that you do not care about it and that anyone that does so is similarly "silly". Thus you are saying that players seeking balance within the system are having badwrongfun (and are being "silly").

>>48356506
It takes your bonus action and can never grow beyond a single attack. It is as you say, easy to get into, but it doesn't really scale.

>>48356535
There is nothing wrong with two SUBSETS or martial classes gaining climb speed, but it should not be given as part of a fighting style, at least not when it makes it stand head-and-shoulders above other options.
It would be fitting to add it as a ribbon or archetype feature, but not as a fighting style. I have never argued that it is wrong to grant swim/climb speed to a class, only that the vehicle of doing so was unsuitable.
>>
>tfw mouthy party member has to bargain for team mates lives with an enemy they threatened to kill
>tfw party is fucked
at least my guy has a chance to run away
>>
>>48356631
>It takes your bonus action
true, but you don't normally have a bonus actual to use when attacking. And it does add onto the enxta attack you get as you level.

While it can't be the scaling monstrosity it could become in 3.x, it doesn't strike me as significantly weaker than other weapon choices, so I'm not seeing the 'really bad'.
>>
So I thought of ways to "slightly enhance" monks without going overboard.

They get a free magic initiate knockoff at lvl 6 that lets them learn sorcerer list but use Wis as casting stat.

At lvl 11 they can regain 4 ki by spending 1 minute meditating. Usable once per short rest.

At lvl 17 they get to fly for 1 hour by expending 2 ki.
Flightspeed equals land movement speed.
>>
File: 1438715618028.jpg (153KB, 1339x361px) Image search: [Google]
1438715618028.jpg
153KB, 1339x361px
>>48356762
...for what purpose?
>>
New DM here, do monsters add their DEX/STR modifiers to weapon attacks?
>>
>>48356953
Yes, but that's most likely already in the monster's stats
>>
>>48356953
The statblocks generally tell you what to roll. If an attack says +5 to hit, that means you add +5 to hit, and don't worry about anything else.
>>
>>48356976
Yeah that confused me
so I'm looking at kobolds it says +4 to hit, that +4 coming from their proficiency and DEX right?
>>
>>48356762
At lvl 6 it nets them usefully spells that scale well and synergyze with monk features.

At lvl 11 it solves the ki shortage problem without going overboard.

And lvl 17 is just so they can keep up since all most all other classes can fly by then.
>>
>>48356999
their stats largely dont matter, only the specific thing your looking for does
"how much damage does it do" everything related to damage is already added to the damage block
"whats its roll to hit" same thing
"whats its ac" they've already added 10+natural armor + dex together, thats its ac
>>
>>48357031
>most other classes can fly by then
>by casting flight, or being one of like 3 specializations
>so il give monks a 50 foot per turn flight bare minimum
wuxia or not, cantrips on a monk is stupid, and the flight isn't "most classes"
perfect form not being the capstone is absolutely legit though, its retarded its so high for them
>>
>>48355424

With new players don't be afraid to give them lots of information. Especially in character information and out of character information when appropriate.

I know there's the desire to get them to work it put themselves and earn that knowledge with rolls but players are going to be so so in the dark most of the time that them having any information will be really valuable and help situations like this.

As they get better of course you can be be a bit more clever but for now be super obvious. 'These guys are trying to scam you what you do?' 'This is a fiendish puzzle can you work it out and get to the massive treasure in the next rom to complete your quest?'
>>
>>48357031
>Spells
But why do they need additional spells? They already have a lot of utility, and could just take the feat as a feat.
>Ki shortage
They already have 11 per short rest at that point, is there really a shortage that needs remedying?
>Flying
...Most other classes?
Show me flying Barbarians (Eagle Totem can't go more than your walking speed before falling), Clerics (besides tempest), Fighters, Paladins, Rangers, and Rogues. Some classes gain ways to fly innately, but there are magic items (and spells learned much earlier) that can fill it in. I don't think the assumption should be that by level 20 everyone can be a saiyan.
>>
>>48351076
It seems really strong. Maybe if they fail a WIS or CHA they lose an action
>>
Wot4E monks are the most fun unless you're a dirty munchkin.

Prove me wrong.
>>
File: 1461392363250.jpg (77KB, 560x840px) Image search: [Google]
1461392363250.jpg
77KB, 560x840px
>>48357155
>Being Jackie Chan
>Unironically teleporting behind someone into their shadow and "nothing personnel kid"ing them
>Being a hamon user/saiyan and punching megaman light bolts at enemies
>Being a walking mini-scale grim reaper
Monk is a fun class always.
>>
>>48353650
They walk around the city. They get mugged by children orphans.
Plot twist: The children IS the local thieves guild
>>
>>48351076
Enchantment
V,S,M (a cocoa leaf and a turkey bone)
Single target, 30 ft.
The target must make a Charisma saving throw against your spell save DC. On a failure, that target is incapacitated until the end of it's next turn. You may immediately take a additional action if a creature is incapacitated in this way.

If the target creature is immune to incapacitation, this spell has no effect. On a successful save, this spell has no effect.
>>
>>48357195
I'd stat jackie chan as a battlemaster/thief multiclass actually.
>>
File: scared pots and whale.png (521KB, 537x469px) Image search: [Google]
scared pots and whale.png
521KB, 537x469px
how do you get around sacred plants and wood
i want to (at least some levels) be a dwarven druid, but the thing is, he worships nature, like a fucking druid does
you know whats in nature? dirt, metals, gems, they're all natural, hell without dirt plants and animals are fuckin dead so why can he absolutely not wear metal at all.
he can just run around every town looking for "Special feature: Minor property; strange material" gear, but i find that largely retarded
"oh, i want to multiclass into druid, from say, cleric, better sell my full plate, greatsword, shield, crossbow, and holy symbol and go forage for wooden ones"

couple that with the fact that, it seems to be only fluff, and that the game literally only says armor or shields. you can stab fuckers all you want with massive slabs of metal, and adorn yourself with all the metal you want. hell, they get metal weapons in their preset gear
>>
File: 1450336134945.jpg (314KB, 736x1009px) Image search: [Google]
1450336134945.jpg
314KB, 736x1009px
>>48357263
Generally with a bit of DM/Player communication and special arrangements. After all, Druid is a class that can certainly use a few boosts.
You just need gear that doesn't interfere with your druid vibes, or whatever. Something thematic that related to your land of choice. Forest? Made from a rare wood or beast. Coast? Seashells or coral made into lamellar. Desert? Sandstone or cactus or something.
I'd make sure that you have the chance to get something cool that functions as better armor than hide, probably with some small magical effect taped on, at the same relatively early times that the rogue gets a weak bag of tricks or the fighter finds a backtalking sword that refuses to give his +1 to unworthy situations.
After all, who doesn't cherry pick and custom design their party's magic loot drops?
>>
>>48357263
Just talk to your DM about it. The golden rule of RPGs is that the DM makes the rules, not the books.
>>
>>48357333
>>48357349
thats kinda what i figured, but i didn't want to be a bit "that guy" pretty much demanding special gear and loot to make a character work. Even if it was logical and not special at all since that special gear list in the DMs guide doesn't effect price at all.
its not like the things i want would be common in stores (maybe elf stores) but i DEFINITELY dont want to cross something like "oh look, your party finds a set of Splint mail made out of tree bark, guess who its fuckin for"

i guess il just ask him though. i figured it would be themed a bit like you said cactus being desert, but i planned on taking him either mountain or underdark, not alot of trees down there, so i figured he would still be wearing and using alot of metal. i guess i can just pick some dwarf fortress plant materials and say they grow underground rarely
>>
>>48356762

this makes no sense and doesn't really solve their problem (where they're just stunning strike bots at later levels once their damage falls off)
>>
>>48357427
>>48357349
>>48357333
>>48357263
i would note also, the whole reason im asking is that i want to start as a druid, and add something more martial (fuck being a bear) like ranger or nature cleric, OR start as a nature cleric and do the opposite, add something more nature-y and be a land druid

the fighting style from ranger is nice, but honestly its not worth going many levels in, so id end up something like cleric or druid 17, ranger 3.
if anyone has any other ideas im open to hearing them. the only other options i thought of, dont seem to mesh well thematically
>>
File: 1450335245571.jpg (81KB, 350x600px) Image search: [Google]
1450335245571.jpg
81KB, 350x600px
>>48357591
Instead of finding it then, perhaps you could arrange to craft the item yourself.
Talk with them ahead of time and try to take a relevant crafting skill. Either go out of your way to find some materials or see if they wind up in your path, and forge your own stonebark chestplate, or carapace brigandine, or ruby hauberk or whatever.
>>
>>48357664
you are right, i guess i read sacred plants more as "you need to use plant" not "dont use metal"
i still have alot of theoretical options to make heftier weapons and gear without it just being Ironwood or some shit
i mean, it practically enters Monster Hunter territory with the lack of metals still being valid "plate" armor
>>
>>48357496
All monks need is a damage boosting feat.
>>
>>48357909

Yeah. I imagine that if they could get +2 damage to unarmed strikes or something like that they'd be fine.
>>
>>48357919
throwing out a completely retarded idea here
they get +1 damage per successful hit on an enemy in one round its too much math to be viable, bit i feel it fits nice with their "alot of bonus attacks" and oraoraoraora feel
depending on where it is in their tree it could also open up more multiclass to/away from monk, specifically with fighter
>>
Are there any other tables like the firearm table from the DMG? I'm looking for relatively rare but not necessarily magical items I could give to my players.
>>
>>48358030
you could always add more exotic or unique monster weapons, i think someone compiled them into a picture.
most monster weapons are fluffed to be in "poor quality, not worth taking nor selling" but finding an equivalent of a mastercrafted one a pc might want could be viable. Doubly so if an actual smith has reason to be making their exotic weapons
>>
>>48358030
If you look at the trinket table (even the gothic trinkets) there are a few that leap out as having mechanical uses. I would try that for strange/exotic mundane items - stuff like lanterns that last forever or whatever.

The other option is alchemical items from Pathfinder because they are shit in Pathfinder but more useful in 5e.
>>
>>48357263
If your hypothetical cleric isn't willing to meet the demands of his new class is he really devoted to his new calling or is his player just fishing for new class features?

As for your dwarven Druid simply talk to your DM, as said before. He might agree that the plant theme is largely just fluff and allow a mineral themed Druid.
>>
>>48358067

Oh yes, that's a good idea! If you have that picture handy, I would ask for it.

>>48358071

Also a good idea. Thanks!
>>
so what's everyone's favorte website to buy minis in europe?

The best shit comes from the states, but that's like, a 30 bucks shipping fee, and stuff coming off from england isn't a sea of roses either
>>
>>48358113
well, i want to be a relative frontline fighter who is nature fluffed, but has spells since "im a barb, i like trees" is retarded. that and i dont want to have to use animal form.
realistically that leaves me land druid, nature cleric (i guess tempest as well), ancients paladin (we have another paladin, id rather not) and ranger
im fine with druid, but land isn't very melee oriented obviously, so i kinda figured i needed another choice, or at the very least to multiclass
i guess i am fishing a bit though, its why im avoiding ranger.
i might just end up going full nature cleric, but i dont know, that just feels boring to just be a shillelagh-bot with one attack a turn, and a bunch of animal shit
>>
>>48354847
Warlocks don't have good blasty spells for those slots. Evokers get a bonus to theirs.
>>
>>48357999

I'd put it in later where they need the damage boost and they start getting a bunch of ribbon abilities.

Also it'd be about +6 damage a round if all your attacks hit, so it'd be 2 less than dueling. Make of it what you will I suppose.
>>
>>48358254
Well, what's wrong with a Ranger then? It's been called underpowered but there's an UA for it that's worth looking at.
>>
>>48358115
i dont have it, and with a quick glance it isn't in any of the old threads still here. maybe someone else has it, but it was posted probably a couple weeks ago at this point.
>>
>>48358254
>Avoiding ranger because muh power level
We're done here.
>>
>>48358390
well theres that, the fact that theres nothing for me to hate that iv thought of to put in a backstory for favored enemy, and picking mountain or underdark, would be pretty useless from what i know we're going to end up doing
>>48358367
thanks for the idea, il look at it. if its interesting enough, i might just go full that, im not set on druid or cleric, they just seemed the best idea
>>
Does someone have the last ranger makeover from giantitp.com? With Hunter's Mark as a class feature instead of a spell.
>>
>>48356631
Medium and light armor gives you less AC than heavy armor. It's not better than defensive.
>>
>>48358913
>everyone with heavy armor proficiency uses Plate armor always, even from level 1
>>
>>48358683
dont know what the fuck you're talkin about m8
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?396519-D-amp-D-5e-Homebrew-Compendium
probably here
>>
>>48358683
This one?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ajdiif9aemjh0qf/The%20Complete%20Ranger.docx?dl=0
>>
>>48358997
I forgot to save the PDF but it was posted in one of the last /5eg/. Gonna try to hunt it down.

>>48358999
Jesus Christ this is awful. Thanks for your effort, though.
>>
>>48355726
Before I got into tabletop, I just assumed all GMs made their own shit up. When I heard people talking about Eberron and Forgotten Realms, I thought it was some random dude's popular setting, not an official thing that so many DMs can't seem to run a campaign without. It's the same thing with monsters and magic items...isn't it better to just make shit up yourself? Isn't that what makes being a DM fun in the first place?
>>
Currently writing up a campaign, and I think I've decided I'm going to feature Slaad in it somewhat prominently. How much are my players going to hate me?
>>
>>48356543
Well the campaign is planned to go to 20, and the character I'm using has an in-character reason to not want the 20 warlock ability.
She's a level 3 fiend lock who hasn't gotten her weapon yet for story purposes.
>>
>>48359251
Depend on the GM. For some people, making shit up themselves is too time-consuming and/or they have fun running the session. Narrating the action. Acting the NPCs. Reacting to the players and making them have fun.

I love every aspect of GMing, even though I don't consider myself good at anything quite yet. All in good time.

>>48359292
Slaadi are great! I think it's very important to make them more than just "evil toad-people" as soon as possible. Gotta insist on what makes them special (spawning stones, parasites, etc.)

The good thing with Slaadi is that they live in swamps, where you already have a lot of life and different monsters. You can spice it up, make multiple-front battles (Trolls vs Slaadi vs Bullywugs vs Players) and play with the environment pretty easily.
>>
>>48359251
>isn't it better to just make shit up yourself? Isn't that what makes being a DM fun in the first place?
Sometimes and absolutely.

With homebrew settings you have to deal with players bitching over perceived inconsistencies, plot holes, "muh realism" and so on.

With official ones these problems still exist, but you can just tell the players to go bitch to the producer instead of you.
>>
>>48358999
>>48359130
It really is.

Lets go with a start:
Stop being pissy about having to choose the terrain you're most familiar with. That ability it massively strong as is, if you are actually doing exploring and skill checks in your campaign.

If you don't want exploring to be a big part of your campaign, they you don't actually want to play a ranger.

Now I will give a little bit to having some ability to swap favored terrain, but traveling for 1 hour is way to fucking short.

>favored enemy tied to knowing languages. Adding favored enemy all the time
Flat no. It's about things you already automatically very familiar with, do to past experiance.

If your gm isn't already giving you advantage on knowing something about something you spent hundreds of days studying, your GM sucks.

Onto the combat stuff
>All that lockdown
no. You are not a 4e fighter. The class already had pursuit and mobility mechanics built in. Also, spells that can entangle.
If you want to improve the rangers ability to stick to targets, use those.

>Beastmaster
Replace all with adding 'your companion behaves normally as an animal of it's type when not commanded. Including attacking, defending itself, and retreating'.
>>
>>48359387
With official settings you also get the lore-freaks who have read every single novel and campaign book for the setting since the 80s.
>>
So I'm making a five race homebrew set to put on DMs Guild, but I'm not sure what I wanna do with em beyond basic thematics.

>Star Children (name pending) are walking, flaming living beings from the plane of positive energy, made of the stuff of life itself. They appear as flaming humanoids akin to the novakid from starbound.

>Therians are a semi-bestial race similar to the Viera of Final Fantasy fame, but with cats instead of rabbits (though bunny Therians are cool too if you want.) that are so closely tied with nature that their Highborn subrace comes with a free Druid cantrip.
>Feral Therians are much more hunter gatherers than mystics, and it isn't rare to see ferals living alongside Highborn

Satyrs are the only ones I have an idea of what to do with, and that's +2 CHA, +1 CON, and Friends as a cantrip, with possibly an immunity to land-based difficult terrain.

The other races I have in mind are Lupin (because there's a lot of money to be made on fur bucks) and some kind of race that would tie into the Shadowfell, or a plant people if not.

Send help if you can.
I'm doing what I can to make Star Children not a refluffed Aasimar.
>>
File: 1334329164853.jpg (18KB, 366x380px) Image search: [Google]
1334329164853.jpg
18KB, 366x380px
>>48359404
You forgot about the broken fighting styles (^:

Anyway no need to beat the dead horse I think. Most rangers reworks are infuriatingly bad. I'll be one of them soon enough since one of my players want to play a Ranger. I can't wait to suck all these cocks while masturbating my mad game designer skills. Give my ego a good stroke.
>>
>>48359489
>I'll be one of them soon enough since one of my players want to play a Ranger.
Just let them play the class as is.
>>
>>48359482
Well first you should playtes....

>there's a lot of money to be made on fur bucks
Oh, I see. Well then Mr. Shekelstein, make the furry races slightly overpowered. Don't worry about playtesting or QC.
>>
>Super Simple Ranger Fix
>Favored enemies grant you a flat bonus on attacks against them and advantage on saves involving them, in addition to the other favored enemy features.
>later levels also add increased damage.

>Beastmaster pets act as conjured creatures from a wizard spell list, and your animal can be an equal CR to your 1/4 your ranger level, rounded up. But it must be Large or smaller, and cannot speak a language or communicate via psionics.
>>
>>48359489
>You forgot about the broken fighting styles (^:
kinda, but I mainly wanted to pick on the one that wasn't just OP, but out of theme.

90% of making rangers good comes down to campaign and encounter design. Have them have a chance to explore, to track, to lead through dangerous and confusing terrain.
Balance out stuff in their favored terrain with stuff outside of it.

What the class brings is out of combat exploration utility, specifically outdoors utility. They are slightly behind the fighter in raw combat power, but that isn't a problem is you use their other abilities.

They could use some tweeks, especially Beastmaster. But not nearly as many as the haters say, if they stopped looking with such a combat focus.
>>
>>48359489
Rangers do not need a rework to be usable at your table (unless the other players are huge munchkins). Just make the Ranger have a place by shuffling in some wilderness crap, like tracking and foraging and shit.
For what it's worth, the spell-less Ranger is pretty neat. Albeit slightly underpowered. There's also that Ranger/Druid archetype that someone pitched in the thread a week ago; the Warden? or something, basically Ranger with Druid Circle spells, Natural Recovery and Ritual Casting.
>>
>>48359541
No, I mean I do care for balance.
I just included the Lupins due to an overwhelming clamor for "gib fur race pls :3"
>>
>>48359435
true.
>>
>>48358308
I'll still say they'd feel better with martial arts die going to d8 at lvl 9, d10 at lvl 13, and d12 at lvl 17. I think it's not too much, but enough to feel satisfying. Plus, d12s.
>>
>>48357195
Try though I might, I can't see Jackie Chan as an edgelord.
>>
>>48358367
Oh yeah, underdark ranger should be good for that.
>>
>>48359646
>"gib fure race pls :3"
But building balanced races in 5e is easy as shit.

Are they really not capable of just making their own?
>>
>>48359739
He was talking about each of the monk paths (sans four elements for some reason) individually.
Jackie Chan is pretty early level Open Palm if you ask me.
>>
>>48359605
Mostly garbage
>>
>>48359925
Well what I got is supposedly pretty good.

>+2 CON +1 WIS (though I might slap one stat to something that isn't used commonly for saving throws)
>advantage on charm and fear saving throws
>trained in Survival
>have advantage when using Perception to discern something by scent
>>
>>48359961
You fix it without breaking the original "part caster", "favored enemy", and "favored terrain" gimmicks then.
And turning hunter's mark into a non-spell ability fucks up Vengeance paladins, so can't do that.
>>
>>48354228
I told WotC one of the minis in my ToEE board game was fucked

They shipped me replacements for every single mini in the game, and a painted dracolich besides

Pretty sure they're the real MVP.
>>
>>48359937
I'm thinking Variant Human with the Tavern Brawler feat.
>>
>>48360037
That's pretty awesome actually.
>>
>>48360020
different guy, but those aren't problems in the current edition.

Favored enemy switching to being skill/knowledge focused instead of a damage buff was a good thing.

90% of their problem is people not realizing that their power is supposed to be tied to out of combat things. DMs need to actually use that.

Their capstone is kinda shit, there should be some options for changing out favored enemy/terrain (with leveling). Beastmaster should let the beast act without always taking the rangers action.

>part caster
refluff.
Arrow spells are hawkeye/green arrow style trick arrows. A lot of the rest can be fluffed as natural knowledge and tricks.

I'm currently playing a ranger who claims to not have magic. It's not hard.
>>
>>48359646
>No, I mean I do care for balance.
Here's your basic options:
If you hate furries and want to roll in furbucks make it a bit overpowered. Not too obvious, so they buy it, but enough to annoy any DM they show it to. Like kor next to halflings.
If you don't care about furries but want their money, make it balanced.
If you want furries to actually be able to use this, make it a little less powerful. Like halflings next to kor.
>>
>>48360121
Every complaint of "x class sucks" comes down to the fact that most DMs run their game differently than WotC intended. Unfortunately for Rangers, it's not just a lack of short rests like it is with most of the others, it's one third of their features being useful in situations most DMs handwave.
>>
>>48357155
>Wot4E
>Not Wild Magic Sorcerer

Munchin pls go
>>
>>48360181
I'd say this is more DMs not being willing to respond to their players.
The short rest thing is more mechanical, and can take some getting used to if you're not used to the mechanic.

But the ranger is about exploring, survival, and tracking, and natural lore. It's painfully obvious in the class features, but it's also the entire damn fluff of the class. If you didn't want to do that, don't pick that class. If one of your players picks that class, then include that in your campaign.
>>
>>48359387
>play in official setting
>lorefags bitch how everything I do is inconsistent with Testament 1, Book 5, Chapter 4, Verse 23 of the guide to booger differences between species in the Unmemorable Domains.

>make homebrew setting with some internal consistency
>release notes on setting as players learn
>free to change anything that the players haven't learned about.
>setting deals themes you like.
>cancerous lorefags avoid because they can't play the cuck to Drizzit's bull in your homebrew setting
>only players engaged and willing to learn about your new world show up

I don't know m8, I'm failing to see any reason to ever play an official setting.
>>
How does shield bashing work in 5e? What does the system have in terms of shield bashing?
>>
>>48360121
I actually think there's some traction to the idea of making the natural explorer benefits something of a list you choose from and get that benefit in any terrain. So one ranger is an expert tracker and another is an expert navigator, instead of one ranger being an expert in forests and one being an expert in mountains, and you might as well trade one for the other when you travel from the forest to the mountain.
>>
>>48360232
I think the issue stems from the fact that many DMs don't go outside enough to adequately describe a forest.
>cave/sewer = comfy hugbox
>town/village = evil dumb people who should all die
>road = something inconsequential since you don't drive
>looting = passive aggressive way to acquire goods without conversation
>lesser beast creatures = plush dolls
>>
>>48360393
Shield bashing is either an improvised weapon or the shove given by Shield Master feat.
>>
>>48360350
I never do either. What I listed was just one of the issues I run into. Exclusively from /tg/ players though. Never happens in my RL games.
>>
>>48354454
I'd say Cantrip, to be used as a 'last resort' kind of spell once you've used all your slots and Fireball:Self doesn't really matter since you're probably going to die anyway.
>>
>>48360408
Yeah let's pigeonhole the class's utility even more (???)
>>
>>48360446
Actually it's just pigeonholing it differently
>>
>>48359404
I'm workin on my own 'ranger fix' (actually scraping the class and adding an archetype to the fighter) so I'll chime in.

>favored terrain massively strong, if you are actually doing exploring
That's it isn't it? It's a big if, so home brewers feel that it's needs a boost to be worthwhile as situational as it is. I feel dropping it completely or a more broad and tame "advantage to tracking and terrain related checks" is better.

>favored enemy, It's about things you already automatically very familiar with, do to past experiance.
I feel this is incorrect, that your character is incapable of learning about new cratured is nonsensical, even the book allows you new favored enemies as you level.

Onto the combat stuff
>The class already had pursuit and mobility mechanics built in.
I assume this is a spelless ranger variant, lacking spells can you name those mechanics you speak of?

>'your companion behaves normally as an animal of it's type when not commanded.
Given a competent DM, this would be fine. But we already spoke about assumptions.
>>
>>48360442
Sounds good.
Now to find a way to become immune to fire and just slap on that spell via magic initiate and just spend all combat summoning flumphs.
>>
>>48360408
no, there are a few people pushing for that, but an equal amount of pushback.

There are just people who cannot stand the idea of being better in some areas or vs some things, but not everything.

They of course don't get that this is implicit in many other classes, but because ranger actually dares to list the types of areas, it's the worst thing ever.
>>
>>48360417
Because in most cases, if the DM accurately portrays a forest, the party gets lost and dies due to not knowing how to not die innawoods.
>>
>>48360393
No explicit rules. In my campaign it is a 1d6 bludgeoning martial weapon that denies its AC bonus the turn it is used for an attack.
>>
is going monk a horrible idea, or is it an alright class?
>>
>>48360526
>(actually scraping the class and adding an archetype to the fighter) so I'll chime in.
If you don't want to have a focus on exploring and nature, this is probably the way to go.

> It's a big if
no it's not.
It's the character concept.

If someone plays a thief, it's not an if that there will be opportunities to steal. if someone plays paladin, there will be conflicts that come up around their oath.

It's called decent DMing.

>I feel this is incorrect, that your character is incapable of learning about new cratured is nonsensical, even the book allows you new favored enemies as you level
way to miss the fucking point.
The idea that you are just auto adding favored enemies because you know a language is bad.
Adding favored enemies based on studying for hundreds of days in unnecessary, because the bonuses favored enemy gives you (advantage to knowledge rolls and tracking) should be given by a competent DM to someone who spent hundreds of days studying a thing.

FE is a thing on top of that.

>assuming
well you'd have to because it's never said in the text.
But even if it is, the lock down abilities are still bad. I wasn't just talking about the spell, I was talking about the ranger being able to pursue, not having 4e fighter auto lockdown that is very out of context for the mobile, tracking, etc class.

>Given a competent DM, this would be fine. But we already spoke about assumptions.
actually, this one is hard, because the way it's phrased in the current PHB it very much sounds like the companion does not act unless commanded.
I GM might have them act, but that's a GM being willing to houserule. So changing the book wording is good.
>>
>>48360668
Monk is almost the best it's ever been - sans 4e because 4e monks were fucking insane-
And they actually have some of the best defensive options in the game.
They aren't nearly as MAD as before.
>>
Has the new UA dropped yet?
>>
>>48360742
No. Mearls said it would be released yesterday but that clearly got squashed.

Expect it next Monday, I guess. It's supposed to be new content instead of a DMs Guild showcase--which could mean we're getting a UA two weeks in a row if next month's comes out on the 1st.
>>
>>48360668
It's decent. None of the 5e classes are actually bad, or even that far behind the rest.
Once you start having a significant number of ki points you start to be able to be a very tough customer, and even before that you're more or less on par with the other martials.
>>
>>48360764
That's kind of annoying.
>>
>>48354130
Does it really come off like that? I incidentally did the same thing, but once we got back after I changed classes I wasn't really sure about my choice.
>>
So, in Out of the Abyss, one of the rewards a player can get is a "control amulet" for a Shield Guardian, and in the Monster Manual, Slaadi can be controlled via "control gems." How many other monsters have items like this which allow you to control them?
>>
Who else prefers text only games if the games aren't in-person?
>>
>>48360922
Fuck no. I'd rather have no game at all.
>>
>>48353650
The magical city of L'as Veg'as, ruin of man. Erected in a time of prophecied destruction, it flourishes even now, since the apocalypse did not come.

Separate from the jurisdiction of the land's laws, it has become a hive of darkness hidden under a veneer of lights and entertainment. Famed entertainers cavort with mob bosses in hidden taverns, escaping through underground tunnels when religious inquisitors raid, hoping to stamp out the wickedness that has taken hold because of their very own failures and fear mongering.

Prostitution and gambling are accessible on every street corner, as well as amateur musical acts looking for a break and fabulous illusionary showcases involving dangerous, exotic beasts. Illicit materials are smuggled in daily and available to anyone who knows where to look. The streets are filled with young folk looking for passage to adulthood, drunkenly accosting anyone they come across, as well as the permanent residents who have become the most disgusting examples of luxury and opulence.

Bodies are found in the desert outside the city often, and the guards do nothing. They go out of their way to allow shady dealings that put a second paycheck in their pockets.

People go missing every day but the constant flow of tourists and money distracts from this. There are no establishments to help you. The only group who will not actively try to fuck you over and take all your money are the people you bring in with you, if you're lucky. Anything bad can be done unnoticed, but anything good will bring the wrong attention. Anyone could be doing anything at this crossroads of powerful foreign narcotics, money changing hands, and general lack of decency.
>>
>>48360922

I do.
>>
>>48360926
What do you dislike about text games?
>>
>>48360966
They're slow, annoying to participate in due to how text-based messaging can overlap each other, and die out before they get started 99% of the time.
>>
>>48360939
Some hooks or specific things to consider-
The world's fair hotel full of traps and dungeons that guy built to torture people. Don't remember the name. Escaping a death hotel might be ad good way to start the campaign.

A siegfried and Roy type magic act, using lots of animals. Could give the druid some moral imperative torture help the animals.

An oceans eleven type heist, I could see this utilizing the rogue and bard well, at least.

Joining up with the inquisitors could lead to any number of encounters, including investigating the corrupt police force, getting at mob bosses by working through frank sinatra type entertainers (maybe the bard joins his band?) Doing raids on contraband warehouses, etc

Maybe a wizard is kidnapping people and using imported voodoo drugs to make an army of zombies
>>
>>48361022
>die out before they get started
That doesn't have to do with the style though.
I like them because I'm a better writer than orator, and can write out things in better detail than I can speak about them. I like reading better than listening.
>>
>>48359729

Yeah, increasing the MA die would be nice too. They'll still be behind in damage though, though maybe their other features make up for it.

More monk magic items would be nice too.
>>
Would a simple way to fix the Beastmaster be to make the HP 6xRanger Level and you can use your action to command it "Attack the nearest thing" or "Guard the Wizard" and it does it on every turn until you give a new order?
>>
>>48360922
Yo
>>
>>48361086
It's worked great for the BM Ranger in my game. I also let him add his proficiency bonus to saving throws for the animal's abilities, like the wolf's pull-prone thing on its bite.
>>
>>48361086
Increasing the health scaling is absolutely necessary. I think it should also get attribute increases with the ranger.
>>
>>48355037
they are omnivores
>>
>>48361152
>>48361162
I guess Death Saves would also be needed to keep it alive for any long period of time.
>>
>>48361228
I give everything in the game death saves in my games as long as the damage that takes them to 0 isn't non-lethal.
>>
>>48361162
>>48361152
>>48361086
i personally think that, if the beasts health ISN'T increased, it needs to be made "magical" like familiars/found steeds/some summons
so you can dismiss it if needed, and recall it if it ends up dying. though personally, thats a little bit too magic for ranger
>>
>>48361086
"And here is the beastmaster. His class feature is that he's two characters."
>>
>>48360559
I don't care about the push for/push back. I'm just saying that seems like a mechanically viable alternate method of doing the thing. Like how Hunters get benefits that have the theme of fighting a specific kind of creature, yet aren't specifically limited to working on that kind of creature.
>>
>>48361266
I agree on it feeling too magic-y for a ranger.
>>
>>48361228
Any DM that doesn't give the companion death saves is considering it a non-important NPC, which makes them automatically succeed in their attempt to become That DM.
>>
>>48351729
I believe I did make a request to him about it, and he replied that he wasn't good with healing magic? The DM believes the only reason he has a spellcasting level is to cast smites, which is fine now that our own paladin-pc has been revived. This was more clarification for me since he isn't too open to outside information.

>>48351924
I'll admit he is lazy, but it isn't that. As I said, he just thinks hes restricted to the spells on his NPC sheet.

>>48354738
Yeah I know that, it'd say that information on their class page in the player handbook. I was moee posing the question of, are NPCs stuck to the spell lists prepared for them in their module or Monster Manual if they're divine casters?
>>
>>48361269
Two shitty characters that together make a good character.
>>
File: 1432190253084.jpg (28KB, 264x360px) Image search: [Google]
1432190253084.jpg
28KB, 264x360px
>>48361501
>good character
>base beastmaster ranger
>>
>>48361485

That is ENTIRELY up to the DM. If you're the DM, do whatever. If you're a player, why do you care? Hireling? Maybe they only know those spells or they're the only spells they feel like preparing.
>>
>>48356085
My dm actually used this in the middle of his ravenloft campaign (that he converted from 2e mere months before the 5e version was announced) after we had killed strahd and decided to expand on the surrounding countries. My half-orc African warlord character managed to buy and tame one for the race and now uses it as his mount.
>>
>>48361519
No the base is awful it needs a boost to the Companion to be anything close to good.
>>
>>48361531
That's exactly what I mean.
>>
>>48361062
>moral imperative TO help the animals
Not torture dammit, that's practically the opposite! Damn Firefox on my phone refuses to type well.
>>
>>48361525
I care because he's my ally in Curse of Strahd, and was one of two sources of possible healing after our pc-Paladin died to Baba Lysaga.

>maybe they only know those spells
Thanks bud that was the consensus I was trying for.
>>
>>48361605

I'm just saying, if it's a DM controlled character then it's really up to the DM. If the DM says no you're fucked m8.

Good luck either way I suppose.
>>
>>48360668
It's alright. Pick up the mobile or tough feat early on and you will be solid.
>>
>>48350845
I had one for three years. Just ended recently with the party barely succeeding on the final dungeon.
>>
>>48359292
I'd love a campaign where slaad feature heavily.
>>
>>48361774
I fucking hate slaad. Almost as much as mindflayers.
>>
>>48361798
Just put some dressing on it and it won't be as bitter.
>>
>>48361798
Oddly, I love both. Especially mindflayers.

But, I have a thing for body horror, mind-fuckery, tentacles, and eyes.
>>
>>48361599
>he doesn't torture help his pets
casual
>>
>>48361813
>someone doesn't like what I like

>>48361816
I hate those things. If I know those horror shits are in a game, I play paladin 6/monk 14. Fuck that shit.
>>
>>48361538
They weren't talking about the basic BM, they were talking about a modified version >>48361086
>>
>>48361855
I have zero issues with you playing that, either! It makes for a good story.
>>
>>48361891
It also makes me effectively immune to all their bullshit.
>>
>>48361910
Yep.

Then you get to watch in horror as all your friends die.

Besides, I'm sure I can figure out a way around all of it, if I wanted to.
>>
>>48361855
>someone doesn't like what I like
Sorry, I thought you wrote salad.
It's still sort of applicable though.
>>
>>48361949
>guy who can make rocks from the sky takes pleasure in the fact that he can annoy other people
>>
Anyone here ever play a warlock? what were your impressions

i'll be playing a fiend tomelock in a CoS campaign coming up, never played a lock before
>>
>>48361992
They can definitely be cool.
>>
>>48361981
>player is angry that his character isn't untouchable.
I'm sure you play an amazing and thought provoking character anon.
>>
>>48361981
As a DM, I enjoy finding, through conversation, the things that frighten my players, and then including them in the game, too.

For my main group, its tentacles, things with too many eyes, or things with no eyes at all that really freak them out.

And, oddly, swarms of snakes. It appears all of them have latent phobias for snakes.

Does that make me an evil DM, Barry? Yes it does, Other Barry.
>>
>>48361981
The DM can do anything he wants to a character.

It's a special day when the DM can do something that makes the player feel it.
>>
>>48362015
>player doesn't like a theme and would only play it if his character wasn't constantly a puppet of failed will and constitution saves
>salty DM has a fetish for mind control and save-or-sucks and gets mad that someone might not enjoy his babby sadism

>>48362023
Nothing frightens me - I just hate not being able to play my character. It's the same reason hard cc in other games isn't fun when you're on the receiving end - you're not doing anything.

>>48362058
I like controlling my character. When I can't control my character, I don't feel anything at all - I sit back and go "do what you will my man - ain't my character right now".
>>
>>48361992
I've been playing one in OotA. It's been a blast role play wise and is solid enough mechanically to be of use in combat and puzzle situations. You will feel weak at times due to not having many spell slots and after a bit most of the invocations become subpar at best but outside of that they are fun and effective to play.
>>
>>48362116
Oh, come now. Everyone is afraid of something.
>>
>>48362116
You sound pretty salty mate, might wanna go wash it all off.
>>
>>48362116
>ain't my character right now
But it still is, isn't it? That's what's so infuriating about it. You can't really detach yourself from the fact that your character isn't in your control anymore, and that makes you frustrated.

So maybe you're the
> Nothing frightens me
kind.
And then maybe the only way to make you feel anything at the table is to make you lose the control you so deeply crave.

In other words, you're not an emotional type. You're a controling type. Or at least that's how you'd like to be perceived.
Thing is, when you're a player, you're not in control. If we take away the illusion of control you have, you feel something. And that's what a GM should do.

Maybe you wish you'd be the emotional type, eh?
>>
>>48362116
>When I can't control my character I just sit back and do nothing
Not at my table buddy.

At my table I pass you written notes telling you what to do and you comply. That's how mind control works.

If you find a creative way to misinterpret my commands and actively 'resist' the mind control through roleplaying, all the better.
>>
File: ok.png (56KB, 711x1072px) Image search: [Google]
ok.png
56KB, 711x1072px
>>48362182
No. I'm annoyed by things, but I'm a fanatic religious zealot irl and don't actually fear anything.

>>48362187
>mfw

>>48362193
>But it still is, isn't it?
No. I completely disown my previous character when that shit happens.
You can control any characters you like as the DM - it's your game, and I don't have to play with you.

>Maybe you wish you'd be the emotional type, eh?
No, I hate sentimentalism. I like me alot more than I like other people.
>>
>>48362222
I don't care what would go on at your table, since I would never be there ;)
>>
>>48362258
lulz

Well, I'm glad that you're not a part of my game. I think every one of my players would hate you; no offense intended, of course!
>>
>>48362258
>I only play what I wish I could be in tabletops
Another kid looking for self fulfillment and ego masturbation.

Worst player type, likely to flake at the slightest sign of a challenge, goes out of their way to avoid conflict, plays flat and uninteresting characters.

Why are you in this hobby? Tabletop strategy games seem to be more your thing.
>>
>>48362258
With every word you write I become more convinced I'd never want to play with you.
>>
>>48362258
>>48362272
Way to double post. Learn to refresh the page before you reply.
>>
>>48362222
That's an interesting approach.
Too bad the schizoid edgelord is busy having a stroke to realize he could convince GMs to do the same instead of "disowning his character", whatever that means.

I'm keeping the idea though, that seems a lot more fun than simple mind control, thanks!
Though it might end up being a bit weak. I mean, the character can already "resist" the effect. That's what the per-round saving throw does.
>>
>>48362348
I just use the per round throws to let the player know they've truly broken free. Actively resisting the control is a different matter that's better represented through roleplaying rather than dice.
>>
>>48362279
I'm a great person - you'd never hear me bitch. I'd find some excuse to leave your game based on my time schedule conflictions in real life. I'm telling you right now that most people don't get a hard-on when their characters lose their own free will. If you find a niche group who do, good for you.

>>48362312
>implying I only play what I wish I could be
I've played every character type under the sun. And not a single one do I as a player enjoy when the DM puts them in circumstances where they're not even the same character - if I wanted to play a mind-slave I would've just made a weak-willed character that serves some evil dude. Implying you need to be able to lobotomize a person's character to play an interesting game is laughably stupid.

>>48362337
Great response senpai. Top argument ;)
>>
>>48362258
>compulsive, anti-social, schizoid
You might want to see a shrink lad. And lay off the seinen.
>>
>>48362399
Try taking that test. You'll come out far worse than me - nearly everyone does. It's a negative-personality test.
>>
>>48362385
>I've played every character type under the sun.
topkek
>>
>>48362385
No. You're an asshole. You're just too far up your own ass to realize that people will see through your bullshit, then be more pissed that rather than deal with your issues you fucking lied and dropped the game.
>>
>>48362423
>I only play certain character types because I suck at roleplaying
tipcok

>>48362425
If that actually ever happened rather than basically everyone in my life and in every game I've ever played or DM'd seeing me as a lesser-saint of patience and goodwill, maybe you'd be right. I would never lie - an excuse doesn't have to be a lie ;)
>>
>>48362385
Wasn't an argument or a response. I'm telling you to have a decent understanding of board culture before you post.

Repeat after me:

"Double posting is bad form."
>>
Question

Why are we still talking about edgy mcdoughie when we could be talking about you guys' favorite way to deal with the omnipresent darkvision in 5e ?
>>
>>48362460
Repeat after me:
"I don't give a fuck what you autists prefer to see."
;)
>>
stop sperging out

>>48362461
I just ignore darkvision completely desu

you could take away darkvision from every race that has it and they'd still be better than humans
>>
>>48362461
"Deal with"?
What needs to be "dealt with" about people being able to see without (readily available) torches in the dark?
>>
>>48362449
Well at least you admit you suck at roleplaying.

>>48362461
Mostly because he's so eager to get his throat filled with bait.

As for dealing with dark-vision, just change it to low-light vision. Done.
>>
File: 1429822444715.png (237KB, 547x510px) Image search: [Google]
1429822444715.png
237KB, 547x510px
stop spilling salt everywhere
>>48362477
>
>>
>>48362461
>everyone in my party has dark vision except the one human
Why are humans the worst race?
>>
>>48362467
careful on that edge m8.
>>
>>48362461
Corners and wide open rooms (bigger than darkvision can see to the end of) are both very effective.

Especially with Roll20 dynamic lighting.
>>
File: 1373701334262.gif (1MB, 230x172px) Image search: [Google]
1373701334262.gif
1MB, 230x172px
>>48362504
>not caring about someone else's opinion is edgy
>>
File: AL-Logo-Transparent-1.png (33KB, 300x112px) Image search: [Google]
AL-Logo-Transparent-1.png
33KB, 300x112px
So is it just me, or is it INCREDIBLY easy to cheat the Adventurers League system?

"Oh yeah, I play in an AL home game, that's why I have this stuff." or "I DM a home game for some other friends, that's where my DM Rewards came from."

The only things you can't get are certs and convention stuff...
>>
>>48362473
I am very strict when it comes to darkvision. The thing that everyone seems to forget is that even if you have darkvision, you still treat darkness as dim light, which means disadvantage on perception checks, including passive perception.
>>
>>48362449
> No one ever catches onto my lies.
Everyone here can already tell you're lying.

>Excuse doesn't have to be a lie.
When you say that is the reason you're dropping the game, but it is not the reason, then yes it is a lie
>>
>>48362516
Do they have to hit you with their poles for you to realize what's happening?
>>
>>48362517
And there's no reason not to cheat, because not even cheating at D&D could possibly make you more pathetic than you already are for playing in Adventurers League.
>>
File: 1465793677695.jpg (94KB, 632x629px) Image search: [Google]
1465793677695.jpg
94KB, 632x629px
>everyone wasting their time responding to the 13-year old britbong troll
>>
File: fft_knight.png (362KB, 484x725px) Image search: [Google]
fft_knight.png
362KB, 484x725px
>>48362532
What exactly is happening besides you spilling salt all over the thread my senpai senpai?

>>48362531
>implying "I'm going to start working at x time" isn't strictly true
It is the reason. When the value of the game becomes less than the value of doing something else, then the reason I choose to leave the game is because a better alternative exists. That's pretty straightforward, even if it makes you upset ;)
>>
File: 09874648203746573893.png (21KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
09874648203746573893.png
21KB, 512x512px
>>48362574
>>
>>48362554
It seemed like a good thing at first, helps the store get people in the door, all that. But now I'm looking over things and... Man, given the kind of people that I see in stores around here, I'm guessing at least 50% of the players that show up for a game will be cheaters.

Is there anything I can look out for to spot this kind of thing? Does WotC give a fuck? Everything is on the honor system, but damn, you can't even trust half these guys with dice...
>>
File: 1409304957346.png (172KB, 396x554px) Image search: [Google]
1409304957346.png
172KB, 396x554px
>>48362590
>>
>>48362611
It's a game of pretend man. It's competitive.
>>
>>48362461

complete darkness is only turned into dim light where you can still hide in
>>
>>48362499
They are not the worst, unless variant human is banned at your table.
>>
>>48362617
Took you long enough to catch on.
>>
File: 1409301238809.jpg (5KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1409301238809.jpg
5KB, 200x200px
>>48362648
>>
File: Let It Go.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Let It Go.pdf
1B, 486x500px
I made some new class options for my group that consists of normies, hipsters, and weebs. Tell my why they suck ( I plan on uploading a collection to DMs Guild; these are the first few ).
>>
>>48362671
>>
File: 1377747220752.jpg (236KB, 600x748px) Image search: [Google]
1377747220752.jpg
236KB, 600x748px
>>48362692
>>
>>48362638
i play a vanilla human
>>
>>48362728
Good hetero white male catholic knights are the best character type.
>>
>>48362554
>Playing in AL is pathetic.

Idk about your local AL group but mine consists of some pretty good players. Much better than any home group I've ever played with. You are entitled to have your opinion on AL players, but they are not entirely accurate. Also, it's harder to cheat than you would think. If you DM a home game, you need to provide the player ID number of all the players of your game to your local cordinator. If you cheat one game it's easy enough to get away with, but after awhile the inconcistencies can pile up until your caught and banned from all AL play and probably from the stores too.
>>
>>48362753
how do you cheat at D&D besides fudging rolls and BS stats (which are avoided by standard array)?
>>
>>48362753
>>48362782
How do you cheat in a group story telling game where the objective is for everyone to have fun together?
>>
>>48362753
>Sign up four fake names with the AL website. Get four DCI numbers for them. "Yeah these are my home game players."
>>
>>48362728
That would explain why you think they are the worst.
>>
>>48362812
this >>48362728
isn't me
but humans are still shit
>>
>>48362565
Isn't it fucking bedtime in >europe
>>
File: hestia.kkk.png (371KB, 791x720px) Image search: [Google]
hestia.kkk.png
371KB, 791x720px
>>48362830
>feat
>shit
>>
>>48362840
>needing feats to be a decent character
just luck my shit up
>>
File: rhine2015 germany056.jpg (51KB, 300x436px) Image search: [Google]
rhine2015 germany056.jpg
51KB, 300x436px
>>48362812
i actually feel they are pretty good and i like having pluses on all of my stats. plus i like playing humans, and i'm the only human in the party, so if i die before anyone else i'll likely roll another human.
actually i'll likely roll another human unless theres a few humans in the party, just in case.
>>
File: 1443261616442.jpg (117KB, 601x800px) Image search: [Google]
1443261616442.jpg
117KB, 601x800px
>>48362857
>implying the fact that they get a feat isn't part of their race and that such lets you make a very mechanically decent and interesting character
>implying it's a variant rule
>implying it's not a variant rule
>implying any DM who expects to see a human who isn't a needless dick sees it as a variant rule
>implying they don't
>>
Battlemaster of Eldritch Knight?
>>
>>48362911
do you want to be a versatile frontliner or a versatile magical frontliner
>>
>>48362911
An auto-attacker with some spells isn't bad.
They're both fun.
>>
>>48362911
Depends you magic or no?
>>
>>48362989
>>48362989
>>48362989

New bread.
Thread posts: 349
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.