[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/srg/ - Shadowrun General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 398
Thread images: 44

File: 1441151878628.jpg (147KB, 736x981px) Image search: [Google]
1441151878628.jpg
147KB, 736x981px
Connecting to JackPoint VPN...
...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Onion Routers
>>>Login: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>>>Enter Passcode: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to < ERROR: NODE UNKNOWN >

>Pastebin:http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
>Chummer 5:https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
>Issue tracker:https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/issues/

Last Thread: >>46628473

"Real runners go non-lethal" edition
"Murderhobos get SWATed" edition
>>
>>46645800
>"Real runners go non-lethal" edition
>"Murderhobos get SWATed" edition
I'll frackin' geek u m8
>>
>>46645882
>>46645800
People love to point out how you have to destroy all evidence if you're not playing a pink Mohawk game. But if you don't kill anyone, and the job happens to not steal some super secret prototype. The cops have little reason to investigate your break in if there's no press and nobody's organs are all over the office tables.

It's easy to just be "another gang related crime" and not "shadowrunners wage war on corporate properties" if you don't murder the security.
>>
>>46646383
Gangs tend to be violent motherfuckers. No bodies on the ground and/or some gratuitous destruction looks weird to any who is familiar with gang wars. On the flip side, all bodies on the side of corpsec is mightily suspicious as well...
>>
>>46646472
If there are no corpses and no explosions seen from outside, the entire thing can be NDA'd.
>>
>>46646472

Yes but the corpsec don't tend to be as hard on the investigation if it's non-lethal. It's not that they can't work out it was shadowrunners, it's just that there is less reason to care.
>>
>>46646487
wouldn't non-lethal runs have more witnesses?
>>
File: 1460280937098.jpg (19KB, 330x381px) Image search: [Google]
1460280937098.jpg
19KB, 330x381px
I'll connect *you* to my jack-point..
>>
What are some good introductory, 5th ed, pre-made modules for beginning GM's and players? I want to run Shadowrun (no pun intended), but I'm slightly intimidated.
>>
>>46646504

And a lot less dead friends and colleagues. If what you stole wasn't highly critical, they don't have a huge economic gain from hunting you down, nor a personal grudge.

This doesn't help you once you get to stealing really important stuff though.
>>
>>46646537
>nor a personal grudge.
That guy who just got fired will have a grudge on you.
>>
>>46646487
Yeah, good point. It's more something for the runners to consider if they want to make it look like it was gang violence rather than a run.
>>
i mean, this non lethal operador meme is all fine and dandy but ask yourselves this if non lethal is so great why arent everyone using it today? Why arent militaries in the middle east using stun guns on insurgents and terrorists instead of shooting them with actual bullets? Excuse me but im going to be dming a game for the foreseeable future and i fully intend to encourage my players to use lethal ammunition , people can use the excuse that cops get more pissed off if you use lethal rather than non lethal but the fact is they get pissed off anyway, This is a dystopian future scenario we are talking so 99.99% of police officers are going to be assholes who took the job to mess with people who werent police officers and they arent going to be any LESS pissed if you use stick´n´shock or APDS, APDS gives them more power over you in the sense they can come down harder on you if you carry it but that hardly has anything to do with it anyway seeing how if you´re halfway competent you arent going to be running to a lone star officer with a loaded magazine in your hand shouting "OFFICER! OFFICER! I GOT APDS IN THIS CLIP!" you are probably going to make sure you take precautions so you dont get caught with it even if they flag you to the side of the road on a random patrol.
>>
>>46646607
>if non lethal is so great why arent everyone using it today? Why arent militaries in the middle east using stun guns on insurgents and terrorists instead of shooting them with actual bullets?

Because Shadowrun non-lethal is a lot better than our less-than lethal? Seriously, our less than lethal is shit-house for actually taking a guy out unless he gives up.

Shadowrun non-lethal can put down even the most angry ganger, even if he wants to keep going.
>>
>>46646648
Alright and lets say you got a wared up troll with a pain editor who is up to his gills in kamikaze charging you with a steel beam the length of a car, Is your less than lethal ammunition going to stop that guy? No probably not, Would lethal? Maybe, My simple point is what the dick is the point in moralizing people for not playing how you play when shadowrun is so incredibly gray.
>>
>>46646677
Essentially shadowrunners have dangerous jobs and i cant understand any circumstance where a person who basically does black ops for a living would endanger himself by restricting his choice of ammunition to non lethal when that isnt certain to be suitable in all situations.
>>
>>46646537
>they don't have a huge economic gain from hunting you down
As a professional "no personal theft on the job" shadowrunner, there's usually a very limited window before you're not worth chasing anymore, or at least assumed to be.
>>
>>46646677
Okay so
>wared up troll with a pain editor who is up to his gills in kamikaze
is one enemy where lethal is (more) useful than non-lethal. Remember though:
>1 Even lethal ammunition is going to have almost no effect. You'd need APDS and a VERY good weapon to bring them down
>2 the cases where you need lethal are limited. Usually it is enough to have a bit of VERY high power lethal weaponry with nonlethal as main
and
>3 In most situation using nonlethal is usually a better option due to less Public Awareness
>>
>>46646717
Yes but my point is if you end up in a situation where you are entering the fight using non lethal and the other guys have no such moral qualms and are packing APDS and EX-EX rounds in their gats you are risking your life, Sure public awareness is nice but having a functional brain in the sense that it isnt either A no longer attached to your body or B filled with holes or lead is better, so why take the risk? What in character justification is it for these morally gray mercenaries to risk fighting on the back foot and possibly end up on the losing side of a firefight for it?
>>
>>46646531
burh read the pastebin
fast food fight. literally the shadowrun equivalent of "you meet in a pub"
>>
>>46646743
Please stop with the strawman. It's been said again and again, that non lethal is for dealing with rank and file mooks to avoid causing unnecessary damage. Not a moral dedication to preserving metahuman lives. Any one who doesn't have APDS/XX ammo one clip switch away is doing it wrong.
>>
>>46646743
Usually because
1. If you are in a situation where the enemy uses Ex-Ex and APDS against you you have fucked up BIG
2. Because if you are in that situation the first instinct shouldn't be "let's see how many I can kill" but "RUN MOTHAFUCKER, RUN"
>>
>>46646842
Strawman? Im simply pointing out that going in without geared for the worst possible outcome, IE a full clip of APDS in your gun is the opposite of what a professional would do, As is not having optional ammunition types for dealing with any situation that might come up, but entering a hostile situation with something specialized IE stick´n´shock rather than something generalistic IE APDS or regular ammo is pants on head from an IC perspective as its easier to downgrade the force you exert if you dont need to put that fucker down this instant than having to upgrade because you didnt come prepared.
>>
>>46646887
>APDS
>generalistic
what
Chummer, was LOG your dumpstat?
>>
>>46646906
Poor choice of words on my account im sorry, But my point still stands even if you choose to nit pick, Why go IN loaded with non lethal force when you MIGHT need lethal force, its probably better to be in a situation where non lethal is called for and you´re loaded with lethal (Threat is probably somewhat lower) Than vice versa.
>>
>>46646887
Thing is about "worst possibilities" is that avoiding them is far more important than shooting your way out of them? Do you know why? Because HTR wins. Because by the time they catch up with you HTR has GOD, spirits insta summoned by every available police conjurer worth calling in the fucking city and numerical advantage. And has entire block on lockdown. You can't win against HTR, your best shot if they show up is running away, and your job is to avoid their involvement, not to die gloriously when they get involved.
>>
>>46646933
Because you can easily load nonlethal and carry some lethal with you. It doesn't take much time to change the magazines if you need to. Also >>46646954 is right. The only thing the lethal Ammo is for is if you need to stall them to get some more time to escape
>>
>this argument about ammo types

And here I am sitting with 198 Seven-7 grenades just in case I need to murder an entire city block.
>>
>>46647247
Now thats what i call being prepared.
>>
>>46647247
Hmmm... This beggars the question whether there is another reason than "BUG HIVE!" where murdering an entire city bloc would actually improve the situation.
>>
>>46647328
One word.

Aztechnology.
>>
The major difference for me in the nonlethal debate is currently, IRl, breakins happens, you call the cops, turn over your evidence, and let the professionals work up a profile, process evidence, put out APBs and flag airports with mugshots.

That's all usually paid for on the government wallet and dime.

Shadowrun has privately owned cops and police forces, and in-house response teams. Doing all that in house costs money and effort and manpower, which means that, yeah, they can and will put a price-tag and evaluation on 'is this crime or perp worth it'.

There's operators and then there's SMOOTH operators. career criminals are the ones who plan to get away clean.
>>
>>46647440
Aztechnology has good enough PR and reputation outside of the shadows that blowing up a city block worth of them will turn against you badly.

Don't get me wrong, many will applaud you in private. But they'll still clamor for your blood in public to keep face.
>>
>>46646743

>Yes but my point is if you end up in a situation where you are entering the fight using non lethal and the other guys have no such moral qualms and are packing APDS and EX-EX rounds in their gats you are risking your life

Alternatively: You have both. Shadowrun has a host of options for letting players have both at basically no issue swapping.
>>
File: 041dbbb4e445da98193a70d5f3a4aa78.jpg (496KB, 1000x803px) Image search: [Google]
041dbbb4e445da98193a70d5f3a4aa78.jpg
496KB, 1000x803px
>>46648010

Yep. Between Smartguns, Ammo Skip, and the Perfect Time + Nimble Fingers wombo combo, swapping ammo can be easy and fun!
>>
File: I've only tasted life.jpg (23KB, 316x290px) Image search: [Google]
I've only tasted life.jpg
23KB, 316x290px
Hey srg, I'll ask again since the last thread maxxed out before I could get a response.

My first session went about as well as you can expect from Shadowrun with a group of all newbies (myself included) and a GM that doesn't pull his punches. Now we need to kill 20-25 hired thugs in a Junkyard until Tuesday, or horrible things happen to us (it's Sunday night, and we all need to sleep since we got fucked hard in the first day). My Group expects me to come up with a plan.

What I'm working with:
Sniper without a rifle, no melee skills as he thought he would use shotguns in melee all the time. Also 4 armor.
Adept with an SMG, no Ammo. He shouldn't be a problem honestly, as ammo can be bought.
Ancients-Ganger who is armed with a heavy pistol, has a melee skill. 6 armor.
Demolitions Expert who is armed with a light pistol, got around to building an explosive charge.
Rigger (myself) with a silenced light pistol and shock gloves, 6 armor. Got a Roto-Drone with an AK-97 mounted, as well as a car. Both of these are at my flat.

The problem is that we all have gear, but it's in our flats, and those are in the middle of a gang-warfare area right now. I might get to my flat though, as I have decent sneak, and it's on the outskirts of the "Danger-Zone".
Our budgets are only whatever cash we have on us right now, as we were forced to leave our funds in our flats. See above why that's a problem. If we put all our money together we might reach 1,000 - 1,500 Nuyen.
Now my thoughts were to maybe build an explosive trap, lure the thugs into it. But even if we get lucky we're probably looking at 10+ armored thugs, as well as the Junkyard owner and his sons (which we know are cybered, we don't know to which degree). Sadly our sniper is completely useless r/n. Maybe we should invest what little money we have into getting him one of those really cheap rifles.

Any thoughts or advice? Or should I start rolling up a new character?
>>
>>46648347
No face, no decent contacts? Yeah, you are fucked.
>>
>>46648347
Okay... Do you have any other resources or contacts available?
>>
>>46648347

1000 nuyen buys 10 High Explosive Grenades, assuming you've got someone who can get 3-4 hits on a Negotiation Test. Plus, they'll only take ~6 hours to round up.
>>
>>46648524
>>46648534
>>46648537

Sorry, forgot to mention. We got an arms dealer and a few gangers, a mechanic, 2 street docs. Otherwise just "fluff" contacts which I doubt will bring much to the situation.
I actually like the idea of 10 grenades, if everyone can chuck a few we can at least break their formation or split their group.
>>
File: Explosives Adept.jpg (85KB, 500x673px) Image search: [Google]
Explosives Adept.jpg
85KB, 500x673px
>>46647247
>198 grenades

I mean, forget that at that point you should be investing in high explosives, where do you keep them? That is crates and crates of weaponry that need to be kept in a secure place, away from any fragger who would try to steal one and any enviromental hazards that would set them off. Even if you tried to store them in your house, you're filling a couple good-sized rooms.
>>
>>46648585

Hell, if you're sneaky enough to plant them around the junkyard, you've got 10 wireless triggered explosive devices that you can lure the gangers into.
>>
File: GaryOldmanEveryone.gif (1MB, 245x217px) Image search: [Google]
GaryOldmanEveryone.gif
1MB, 245x217px
>>46648585
Option 1: pic related with all your contacts that can fight. Promise 'em all a share of the loot and a big favor.

Option 2: grenades, like the other anon said.

Option 3: Capsule rounds/Gas grenades, filled with DMSO'ed Narcojet (or Neurostun if you can find it, ask your street doc contacts). A little more expensive, but also a lot more efficient since gangbangers might have some armor but very few have gas masks.
>>
>>46648630
Well, I used two last run, so those are obviously sitting in an evidence room somewhere.

Other than that, I have them spread out across four safehouses with a couple of spare Seven-7 grenades rigged just past the door to disperse if somebody without proper identification walks in.

The grenades themselves are kept in crates in the closet of the place. They're also kept alongside a couple of AKs, Armor Jackets with chem protection, slap patches, medkits, gas masks, food, etc.

It always pays to be prepared. I'm going to attempt to purchase another two grenades this coming session so that I can get my stockpile back.
>>
>>46648585
>gangers
Ask their bosses for protection. Or maybe even team up with them to bring junkyard guys down if there are some valuable resources involved.
next time have at least one character with relatively serious gang's boss as contact. Friendly neighbors from local ork underground can be useful as hell sometimes
>>
>>46648702
>>46648705
>>46648768

Thanks a bunch guys, I'll jot all these down, one of them is bound to work.
>>
>>46646583
OP here, I was more talking about the corps can tell the public it was "just gang related crime" instead of "major security breach". Enforcing the law is a lot about keeping up appearances infront of the public. The public is what needs to feel safe and what needs to be shown the law will hunt you down. If it's "just more gang crime" nobody cares.
>>
>>46646607
You must not know what the difference between civilian and military is.
>>
>>46646717
>>46646677
Actually, a pain editor works the exact same for lethal and non lethal damage. As in, it doesn't matter until you fill up all the boxes.
A cybered troll is on average going to have more body than willpower though, especially since cyber adds body. So he probably has less stun boxes.
>>
>>46649294
You may even put "definitely" less stun boxes. Even 5 BOD/6 WIL Troll has both tracks at the same size. And 5 BOD is "runty wimp" by Troll standards.
>>
>>46648347
They have to sleep sometime. But yeah, you might want to invest into any gas grenade you can. Even the cheap CS gas grenades will give you a good advantage if you're outnumbered.

Another good thing for area effect damage are mages. Maybe hire one for the job (you have a fixer right). Spirits also make for great tanks, and they dish out some good damage as well. The gang has no real defence against magic and spirits except shooting it lots, unless they have a mage in which case, hire a fucking mage right now you dumbass.

My last group dealt with busting a contact out of a Russian mob prison by having an earth spirit tunnel under it and planting HE grenades underneath the barracks. I sorta glitched my explosives roll and we used like 10 grenades and blew up half the prison. Good thing we already were on our way out, because debris hit the cellblock we just left via tunnel.
>>
>>46648732
Where did you get all that money, fuck.
>>
>>46649474
Robbed a bank with a Safety Deposit Box they knew was being used by a Talismonger, maybe? Orichalcum is worth 140k per dram, which about equates to 5 grams (actually noticably less, but you've gotta account for street value). Grab ten drams of the stuff, assuming a five man team, and you've got 280k each.
>>
>>46649474
Very. Careful. Spending.

This has been a long (for me anyways) campaign, with regular sessions. I mean, I have a lot of ammo stock piled, and used cheap guns. My dude lives in a medium lifestyle. I'm an adept, so no chrome, and I got a rigger that does surveillance stuff so no cheap eyebots. I have a cheap ass ford americar, all the guns i could ever use, and I just got nothing else to spend on. I had ~200K or so before I realized our face's street cred and rolls could get us Seven-7 grenades, so I started stock piling those so that I can recreate the Iraq-Iran war in downtown at the drop of a hat.

I honestly don't how it got to this point. I just kept buying it over a couple of sessions and all of sudden, 200 grenades.
>>
>>46649294
Yeah. I got fucking clobbered by nonlethal stuff when I tried to be Mr. Invincible Cyborg and had to toss off all of my armor just so my stun boxes didn't get filled up.
>>
>>46649667
That's what a Pain Editor is for, chum'. Can't reasonably call yourself 'Cyber-Devastator of Doom' without it.
>>
>>46649700
Pain editor only helps until your monitor fills up. It's not hard to fill up a stun monitor.
>>
File: 1438739602314.jpg (68KB, 600x1059px) Image search: [Google]
1438739602314.jpg
68KB, 600x1059px
>>46649665
>I just got nothing else to spend on

What about, you know, a way to stop being a thug-for-hire who needs multiple safehouses and more weapons than a small European country to feel secure? What's the point of doing a job well and making lots of money if you don't save some to retire?

Also, maybe get a hobby. I hear painting tiny plastic soldiers is nice.
>>
File: hereforviolence.jpg (79KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
hereforviolence.jpg
79KB, 720x960px
>>46649665

>200k
>Nearly halfway to a permanent Middle Lifestyle
>Fuck it, buying nerve gas instead
>>
>>46649731
Re-read the Pain Editor entry. It also prevents you falling unconscious when your Stun monitor is filled. You'll still overflow any incoming Stun into Physical, but you'll only drop (very very very) dead when your Physical track is complitely filled and has overflowed down to -(BOD). Until then, you stay 100% operational and feel nothing.
>>
>>46649794
My mistake, I must've confused it with something.
>>
>>46645800
>Real Runners go non-lethal
>Murderhobos get swatted
Someone wants to get killed when the Corp compels the witnesses to talk
>>
>>46649903
The corp is only going to go to the trouble and expense of chasing and killing you if you stole something massively important and/or killed their employees. If you go in non-lethal and just steal a few prototypes, the corp will, like real equivalents, likely just write it off and pay for the damages. Megacorps, then, have a lot more money to use to patch up damages and replace stolen goods, so they also have a lot less initiative to pay people to go out and kill you (having to pay off Lone Star and/or what's left of the government on top of paying the people hired to kill you and cleaning up any collateral damage).
If the corp can choose between paying for cleanup and paying both for cleanup and assassinations, which one do you think they'll choose if the only thing you did was to knock a few people out and steal a minor prototype?
Now, if you actually proved yourself willing to and capable of killing security guards and/or stealing incredibly important research, how far do you think they'd be willing to go then?
>>
>>46649736
>>46649764

Retiring? Never thought of it really.

So let's say I retire, what am I going to do with all this Seven-7? Just let it gather dust? Sell it to somebody? At this point I'm sitting on enough Seven-7 to start a small economy.

What should I do, start up a bar? Drug cartel? Organ legging operation? Wage war on a local gang for the hell of it? Retiring young, while many aspire to do it, would be really freaking boring, y'know? Gotta find something to do after the whole shadowrunning thing.
>>
>>46649736
Some people got nothing to live for, chummer. For them, Shadowrunning and their life are synonymous.
>>
>>46650216

You don't have to retire if you have a permanent lifestyle.

It can just as easily be your fallback. Run goes south? Good thing you bought an apartment in another city where you can lay low for as long as you need to.

Also, getting halfway to a Middle Lifestyle means you were a quarter of the way to a High Lifestyle. It's just like the casinos, man. You gotta leave the tables once you're up.

As for the Seven-7, you can sell it off to fund your real estate investments.
>>
My PCs are going to recieve dossiers on a target. They'll be given it by an Ares Johnson (but he won't reveal that). What company name would be on the dossier? Give me a detective/surveillance agency name or something like that.
>>
>>46650371

Something super generic.

General Information Services
Pinkerton Investigations, LLC
Mendez & Associates
>>
File: SR_in_a_nutshell.jpg (58KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
SR_in_a_nutshell.jpg
58KB, 400x400px
>>46648732
>It always pays to be prepared. I'm going to attempt to purchase another two grenades this coming session so that I can get my stockpile back.
>>
>>46650427
www.knowyourtarget.com
>>
>>46650427
I presume these aren't in-universe established detective agencies and when investigated, they would turn out to be a shell company of a shell company with no obvious link to any of the megas
>>
>>46650498

Oh, absolutely.

Though General Information Services is a real currently existing background check company. They could totally still be around in 2070.

I just love how incredibly generic their name is.
>>
>>46650427
>>46650482
>>46650536
Thanks!

Also, kinda-related. How do contact "numbers" work? I vaguely recall there being a commcode, which is equivalent to email/phone number. But what about websites/hosts? How does one show how to get there?
>>
File: 1438739801760.jpg (124KB, 821x973px) Image search: [Google]
1438739801760.jpg
124KB, 821x973px
>>46650570
I always assumed that searching was so ubiquitous and built-in to the Matrix that it didn't matter. Unless you're trying to hide a host, it should be as simple as remembering the name and plugging it in to your comm/deck. You shouldn't need to do a Matrix Search action just to find the host/the person's P2.1 page.
>>
Guys, could I get some help with this character? This is literally my first time making a shadowrun character, and Riggers are super complicated. I'm sure I have done all of the dumb.
As an addendum, the campaign is taking place near the ocean, so I was told I should get a boat and some nautical ability. So I did.
>>
>>46650718
First thing I noticed is that you have eye ware, but no basic cybereyes. Also, low-light twice.
>>
File: Bike Mount.jpg (611KB, 1000x790px) Image search: [Google]
Bike Mount.jpg
611KB, 1000x790px
>>46650718

Biggest issue I see off the bat is the lack of specializations for your skills.

Specializations are good, you should use them.

For example, turn a kill point in Perception into a spec for (Visual). Now you've got 6 dice for the thing you're using that skill most often for.

Same with Automatics. Your only gun is that Alpha, so might as well specialize in Assault Rifles.

>>46650787

You can implant eyeware into your meat eyes for their Essence costs. Good catch on the low-light though, I missed that when I was glancing it over.
>>
Ah woops... My bad on the cyber eyes. Thanks. And yeah, honestly, I didn't even remember specializations being a thing. I'll look over that for my automatics.
>>
>>46649616
I've said this already, but: Good idea, bad target. Pure Orichalcum is so valuable any place where you could find any will have ludicrously stringent security.

It'll be easier to go for something less valuable in absolute, but easier to get your hands on.
>>
Anyone have advice on the drones and/or loadout for those? That's the part that I really felt I didn't understand. I'm the guy who posted the sheet.
>>
File: Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan.jpg (3MB, 3896x2347px) Image search: [Google]
Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan.jpg
3MB, 3896x2347px
Running is done in the shadows but damn does it feel good to do it in style.
Post your custom weapons!

I'll start:
>Ruger Super Warhawk Athabaska
>"What's scarier than facing down a gun that you didn't see coming? Facing down a cannon you didn't see coming."
Type: Heavy Pistol
Base Weapon: Ruger Super Warhawk (Av: 4R)
ACC: 6 (7)
DV: 8P
AP: -2
Modes: SS
RC: -
Ammo: 6(cy)
Concealment: -2
Cost: 1220 ¥
Modifications: Shortbarrel (Av: Custom Look (Av: 2), Laser Sight [Top] (Av: 2), Personalized Grip (Av: 2), Concealed Quick-Draw Holster (Av: 6)
>>
>>46650942
I know, but my current team are... shall we say less than subtle? We currently consist of me, a blind and deaf mage who specialises in seeming to not be a mage via being a backup rigger, our rigger, who drives a van (known as the "Doomwagon" by public media) of indeterminate interior size and fills it with enough drones to terrify a small nation, a secondary mage, who blasts things real good, our street sam, a troll who took a giant katana from the corpse of a giant robot and uses it to make a thor shot seem a preferable alternative, and Nick Steele, an AR decker with Global Fame and Public Awareness in the mid teens, who is permanently on more drugs than Charlie Sheen has done in his life. When we show up, it's less "Oh, it's some guys" and more "OH FUCK CALL HTR".

So, if we're gonna hit somewhere, it's gonna be a big deal. Might as well hit somewhere big, then, right? Besides, the Orichalcum doesn't have to be pure. Hell, 1 dram mixed into a bar of gold would be enough, assuming you got enough gold bars.
>>
File: 1444077392159.jpg (100KB, 700x462px) Image search: [Google]
1444077392159.jpg
100KB, 700x462px
>>46651400
>Besides, the Orichalcum doesn't have to be pure. Hell, 1 dram mixed into a bar of gold would be enough, assuming you got enough gold bars.

Yeah, stealing a bunch of gold is much less subtle. I'm sure that will definitely keep the heat off.
>>
>>46651247
Roto-drones with AK-97s or Ares Alphas.
>>
I just want to play a traditional fantasy game set in SR. Committing multiple acts of hate crimes against orcs and trogger scum, wooing elf qts, brutally murdering a dragon in cold blood... Why must it be so hard?
>>
File: 1442265586613.jpg (85KB, 880x528px) Image search: [Google]
1442265586613.jpg
85KB, 880x528px
>>46651592
Because you're adventuring in places where the powerful support the status quo and consider violence upsetting. Go to Africa or Warlord China, you can get away with anything so long as you have the cash.
>>
>>46651592
Humanis plz go
>>
File: 1409381388422.jpg (416KB, 3500x2477px) Image search: [Google]
1409381388422.jpg
416KB, 3500x2477px
>>46651264

I like using Obrez'd sport rifles for Longarms guys.

Take a Marlin 3468SS.
Slap on an external smartgun system or a laser sight.
Shorten the barrel.
Remove the stock.

Boom. A 1250 nuyen kinda concealable gun with decent range, passable accuracy, and a glorious 12P -1AP. There are few weapons that approach that damage at that price point, and even less that aren't F restricted.
>>
>>46651264
>Savalette Guardian Rainmaker
>"Weak noodle arms? Get two of these babies and burst fire away, no matter the recoil!"
Type: Heavy Pistol
Base Weapon: Savalette Guardian
ACC: 6 (8)
DV: 8P
AP: -1
Modes: SA/BF
RC: 5
Ammo: 12(c)
Concealment: 0
Cost: dunno
Modifications: Concealed Quick-Draw Holster, Electronic Firing, Gas-Vent 3 System, Personalized Grip.
>>
>>46651726
>Cost: dunno
Total cost for that would be 2,845 nyen a pop.
>>
>>46651726
>RC 5
>Only has burst fire
You only need RC 3 for that.
>>
>>46651846

Complex Action Long Bursts are six shots.
>>
>>46651846
Long Burst and stacking recoil.

>>46651456
Any bank job or job that pays well is gonna have a lot of heat. If you want the dosh, you gotta deal with the heat.
>>
>>46651876
You need automatic firing to do long bursts, do you not?

Or maybe Shadowrun 5E's stupid "One attack per pass" rule fragged everything up, I don't know.
>>
>>46651899
Weapons with BF can shoot a long burst with a complex action.
>>
should i pick Kane as friends in high place quality free contact ?
>>
Ello lads, I've a question about the cat mentor spirit. I'm envisioning an infiltrator who sneaks all sneaksy-like into places she's not supposed to be in, and carries firearms just in case she gets spotted and needs to use them.

Now, imagine her hiding in a corner, aiming at a security guard who happened to waltz into the room she was in. Let's say that by some miracle he spots her, and she opens fire before he can raise the alarm. Would the GM at this point go "Ha-ha! Make me a composure check or start playing with the dude!"? Because not taking the guard out instantly will probably end up very badly on her end.
>>
>>46652100
y, take taser/dart pistol with narcojet.
>>
>>46652123

Wouldn't that amount to the same thing though? Since you're intentionally trying to take your target out immediately.
>>
What does security long distance travel look like? I remember seeing stuff about it somewhere, but I'm not sure where. Specifically, I'm looking to see how difficult it would be for starting runners (so SIN ratings 4) to get past security. Do regular road border controls still exist, or are they limited to air/suborbital travel?
>>
>>46652141
You could drop his trousers when he is knocked out or something equally immature.
>>
>>46652141
my gm rules that you cant deal physical dmg, stun is okay
well if you go 100% by the raw, you can stunbolt cat mentor adepts/magicans and they cant fight you unless they roll for it and pass.
>>
>>46652169

The wording is "Unless you succeeed in a cha+wil (3) test at the start of combat, you cannot make an attack that incapacitates your target. Once you take physical damage, all playing stops."

So I guess RAW she wouldn't be able to take out the guard who was about to raise the alarm unless she succeeded in that stupid test.

And I think dropping his trousers is more raven territory, he's the prankster who likes to take advantage of others' misfortune.

So anyway, I think the mentor spirit is more trouble than it's worth, with her cha+wil adding up to 8 she'll fail the test more often than not and probably end up getting herself killed because of it.
>>
>>46652168
Regular border stuff still exists, but it's probably not going to be more than a rating 2 device unless there's an important border for some reason.

And even then, it probably takes situations like the Atzlan/CAS border for the rating 4 devices to come out.
>>
>>46652237

Well the rules as they're written clearly state that the follower is incapable of taking an action that results in the target's incapacitation, unless she makes the check. And as far as I'm aware, filling the stun boxes count as incapacitation.

But I think the "until you take physical damage" is trying to avoid the disadvantage being broken by drain or something, because if it counts for all stun damage it really is a debilitating condition.
>So you're getting shot at, and you were smart enough to wear a lot of armour, resulting in all damage being stun? Tough luck, you keep playing with your targets.
>This cop is repeatedly shoving his taser in your face, but you failed the check so you're still playing with him.
I think a fairer rule would be something like "until you take damage from an outside source, be it stun or physical". Because even the dumbest cat should realise that when they're in danger of being knocked out themselves, all bets are off and you really need to fight to survive.

But for an infiltrator, the inability to immediately take out your target seems really, really bad, and I'm not sure the +2 dice to stealth or gym and 2 levels of light body make up for that.

Why do mentor spirits COST karma anyway when they're coupled with so harsh disadvantages?
>>
>>46652542
Most tend to be discounted, stackable specialties. For adepts they're also free power points.
>>
File: VBR-B PDW.jpg (25KB, 627x430px) Image search: [Google]
VBR-B PDW.jpg
25KB, 627x430px
>>46651264
>Steyr TMP "Passt Allen"
>Everything you need in one nice little package.
Type: Machinepistol
Base Weapon: Steyr TMP
Acc: 5(7)
DV: 7P
AP: -
Modes: SA/BF/FA
RC: 4(5)
Ammo: 30 (c)
Concealement: -2
Mods: Internal Smartlink (retrofitted), Retractable Stock, Personalized Grip, Electronic Firing, Gas-Vents 3 System.
Cost: 2450 ¥

It's basically a MP with enough recoil compensation to fire FA short bursts without penality. The perfect blend of legality, concealability and available fire modes.
>>
>>46646504
Here's a solution: Don't be an idiot, hide your face. Don't leave stupid amounts of evidence. Don't keep whatever you did the run for, get it to your Johnson as soon as you can, then there really is no reason to go after you. You're just a disposable asset, after all.
>>
File: Slow Ride.gif (1MB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
Slow Ride.gif
1MB, 500x400px
>>46652168
The book you want is Coyotes, the book all about travelling and smuggling.
>>
File: 1447032639201.jpg (450KB, 883x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1447032639201.jpg
450KB, 883x1280px
>>46648347
>whatever cash we have on us right now
I do have to question what cash you're using, since about 99% of transactions are done with credsticks, so it really shouldn't be hard to carry around several thousand nuyen in your back pocket. But I suppose that's not the problem right now.

I'd say you could probably get your car to come to you, with your roto-drone in/on top of it, since Grid Guide is a thing, so cars can just drive themselves, and you should just be able to activate it through your commlink. This depends on your GM though. They could pull something about Grid Guide being down in that area or whatever. But I'd say it's worth a shot at least.

Other things, depending on how well you know these contacts/how much they like you, ask them for favors. You'll owe them down the line, but if you're not dead it's definitely worth it. Favors will include getting/lending weapons and ammo, extra backup, explosives, any magical support, maybe info on your targets?

You'll definitely want to use your rotodrone to get eyes on the area before shit goes down. As mentioned before me, explosives and surprise are going to be your friends. Traps, definitely. Oh, and you could run the fraggers over with your car if you need.
>>
>>46652542
Well, depends on the particular Mentor and its drawbacks. Eagle gives you free shit for a 5 point negative quality. Dragonslayer also has negligible penalties. Sea literally just makes it harder for you to be charitable, which isn't exactly a big deal in a game about being a criminal.
>>
My DM is inviting us to guest star DM for a few sessions if we want and I was reading a quick adventure set in Chicago that I'm going to expand a little; where can I read up more on Shadowrun Chicago setting?
>>
Okay I'm not saying this happened to me but let's say a player chooses surface loss amnesia as a quality. Technically a gm can make up whatever back story he or she wants.

So, without being unnecessarily cruel, what are some nasty back story ideas?
>>
>>46654886

They've suffered surface amnesia more than once, like a cruel joke by the gods
>>
I've realized that a character I want to play is going to necessitate numerous runs and jobs to get his side business going.
And then I realized most of my characters were like that.

Should I just run games and have my characters be johnsons that turn contact once the runs are done?
>>
>>46654886
They were an unwilling part of a memory erasure project. It was a failure, and the amnesia was incidental.
>>
From a player perspective-

How do you feel about a player who takes amnesia, prototype transhuman, and an enemy quality?
>>
>>46655141

Why not? The world could always use more Shadowrun GM's.
>>
So I've this character who's a mage and also a gun nut who made money by selling guns and magic services, including artificing (before the authorities got wind and pushed him into another country and the shadows). It would make perfect sense for him to craft weapon foci where the telesma is a gun or a part thereof, but the rules explicitly state that a weapon focus has to be a melee weapon. I'm guessing that it's a balance issue, because I'm literally seeing no difference between them from an objective standpoint, as they're both essentially blocks of metal.

How bad would it be balance-wise to coerce my GM into allowing ranged weapon foci? Maybe with a condition that you can't use a smartlink and a bonus from the focus at the same time or something, and that while you could take the gun with you into astral combat, you couldn't fire it there, only use it as a melee weapon or something.

Opinions?
>>
>>46655187

I'd maybe allow it for a Melee Hardened gun, but I'd only give the focus bonus whenever you're pistol-whipping somebody.
>>
>>46655210

Well, that would go without saying really, but if you can use your magic to essentially guide a melee weapon, it should also apply to ranged weapons as you can wield them with more finesse and precision. Or something.

Or maybe I'll just make a spellcasting or sustaining formula that has the telesma be a gun. So he can have a focus that's a gun, but not a weapon focus. That way, there should be no complaints right?
>>
>>46655182
potentially fun and exciting, just let the other players have their characters react the way they think is appropriate, even if this means betrayal, when they find out
>>
>>46655187
You can totally use a gun as a telesma. However, you are just enchanting metal and polymer frames. You get the dice pool bonus when you pistol whip them, but it doesn't add the bonus to shooting. That would be a houserule. Also it would make Gun Adepts even more powerful. Also make bullets be able to hit spirits through the astral.
>>
>>46655264

No no, of course the bullets themselves wouldn't be magical, so you couldn't take them with you to the astral plane. I thought I pointed that out already?

But it would essentially make your gun more accurate, since you're in part guiding it with your magic.
>>
>>46655159

"We were experimenting with new ways to erase memories."

"OH! SO THAT'S HOW!"

"No... you just took bad payote, quit your job and became an elite mercenary."
>>
How does illegal bioware work?
>>
>>46650807

I kind of like specs, but I also don't like them. Yeah, you're more effective at that one thing, but at the same time you're less effective at something else.

You can better shoot an AR, but that doesn't help you if you couldn't take it to a low vis run and are forced to use a pistol. And seeing better doesn't help if the GM calls for per (listen) check. If you dropped points to take specs, you might have fucked yourself over.
>>
>>46655603
In general, very well. Just hope that there's not a skilled mage around.
>>
>>46655661
like, what if I am caught with that illegal spinal cord that gives you super initiative?
do they just TAKE MY WHOLE SPINE?
>>
>>46655182

Clearly their enemy is the world's top Aztech Retrieval and Extraction Agent, who has a personal vendetta against the runner for taking his eye during the runner's escape, prompting the enemy to track the runner personally and bring him in dead or alive to regain his honor.

It's like you've never even Shadowrunned before.
>>
>>46655668
It depends on who you're caught by, and where.

At best, this is blackmail. At worst it's kill-able stuff. If you're realistically lucky, then they're going to rip it out and bill you for a new one, some other fines, and book you in a short stay in a prison.
>>
>>46655668
You'd get booked for possession of illegal ware, and have it removed and replaced if need be through surgery.
>>
File: shanghai_by_forkysanime.jpg (330KB, 648x720px) Image search: [Google]
shanghai_by_forkysanime.jpg
330KB, 648x720px
>>46655605

Once you hit the max for a skill (6 ranks at chargen), then a specialization is only positive.

And there's not many times when losing 1 die to a skill will really fuck you over. 1 die makes a difference only 30% of the times you miss a threshold by one.

And some listed specializations are super-broad. Like Semi-Automatics for Pistols, or Fast Talking for Con.
>>
>>46655833
That is one ugly ass catgirl
>>
>join SR5 game
>GM misunderstands rules, gets snippy when the players call him on it
>keeps railroading failures onto the team until we get fucked
>invalidates the newest player's entire character

Are all SR5 GMs like this? It seems to be a running trend for them to be shitty.
>>
File: cyber_pixi_cat_by_pixilaira.jpg (97KB, 1024x912px) Image search: [Google]
cyber_pixi_cat_by_pixilaira.jpg
97KB, 1024x912px
>>46655901

You would not believe some of the catgirls I've seen while compiling my collection.

Pic Fucking Related.
>>
>>46655950
Now you can compile a collection, but this example is so bad there HAS to be some story behind it.
>>
>>46655949
Nah. There's good ones and there's bad ones.

The bad ones just get more press because they can easily generate five stories for each a good one can.
>>
>>46655950
see folks, this is what the horrors from earthdawn probably look like
>>
>>46655833

Sure, but the points are still off from some other skill that could potentially be really helpful. People always seem to recommend taking specs for most skills, but all those points spent could fill up some other important skill. Maybe the extra three points you put in first aid just makes the cut and you manage to save your chummer, or something. I dunno, it seems really limiting, and I'd only take one or two specialisations at maximum.
>>
>>46655993

Let's just say that I found potentially the world's worst deviantart gallery.

The guy is prolific. The faces he's drawn haunt my nightmares.
>>
>>46655950
That sounds like something Doomguy would say.
>>
>>46656172
>let's rock
>not: Let's Roc

It's not just his drawing ability that's of questionable merit.
>>
>>46656098
To be fair, for most people first aid is better done by a medkit on auto than in person.

It's definitely more action friendly than trying to do it yourself, and unless you already had six or seven dice with one point, it's probably a better case to just get a pair of medkits.
>>
>>46656223
Oh, and patches. Don't forget one or two of those guys. They can work wonders for emergency medicine that don't need any real investment in first aid.
>>
>>46655187
You can have a ranged weapon foci.

Thrown foci lose power after you stop touching them, projectile foci do not confer any benefit to their projectiles.

It's a glorified improvised melee foci you can shoot people with.
>>
File: a_true_ninja_by_pixilaira.jpg (230KB, 1024x1059px) Image search: [Google]
a_true_ninja_by_pixilaira.jpg
230KB, 1024x1059px
>>46656098

That's fair. My current character has 4 specializations between 12 Active Skills. All the Knowledge skills have specializations, though - they're a great way to inject a lot of flavor.

>>46656062
>>46656173
>>46656219

He's got so many. So many.
>>
File: latest.png (82KB, 521x500px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
82KB, 521x500px
>>46651264
>Toyotamahime
>"Mittsu no kao, onaji saishū musubi ni subete. Three faces, all with the same result."
Type: Sword/Polearm
Base Weapon: Vibrosword/Victorinox SmartStaff
DV: (STR/2 + 5) P (Katana, Naginata)
(STR/2 + 6) P (Nodachi)
AP: -5 (Katana)
-6 (Nodachi, Naginata)
Modes: Katana, Nodachi, Naginata
Concealment: +6
Cost: Yes¥
Modifications: Personalized grip, gecko grip, custom look 2, Vibroblade, Dikote, chameleon camouflage
>>
>>46656223

To be fair, it was only an example. And to be really fair, sometimes you don't have access to a dufflebag sized rating 6 medkit that has autosofts and all that jazz, and have to instead make do with what you can have on your belt.
>>
>>46656267

But see, a weapon focus gives you extra dice to use in a melee attack roll, so essentially it gives you more skill and accuracy with the weapon.

Skill and accuracy are also a concern when using firearms, because more precise shots deal more damage.

And even if you have thrown weapon foci, if you're in contact with it when you make the throw, shouldn't it do the exact same damage even though it's no longer active when it flies?

Can you explain that in a way that makes sense which isn't just "a wizard did it" or "because balance"?
>>
>>46656311
It's only dufflebag sized if you're using optional rules from B&B. Otherwise it's briefcase sized. Or smaller, should you go for the 5 minutes of medkit/shot nanogear.
>>
>>46656311
That's why you want a rating 3 one. Rolls six dice, pocket portable.

Oh, and a trauma patch. For when you really must stabilize somebody.
>>
>>46656377

You need size to fit in all the goodies that make it perform at a higher level than a smaller medkit would. The optional rule is perfectly reasonable if you ask me, and while you're entirely within your rights to handwave a rating 6 pack in your pocket on you at all times, other people might not swing that way.
>>
>>46656368
If you feel like taking a page from older editions and Earthdawn, then the answer is that the current mana levels aren't sufficient to keep the enchantments of weapon foci active when they're not touching the mage and it's the active magic that lets the weapon focus hit better.

>>46656415
Even in the base rules, you need to get bigger than pocket sized if you want more than rating 3. And that's good enough to hit two successes with fair regularity.
>>
hey guys, my party is trying to determine a system for determining dick size. one member proposed to do (body+str+cha+edge)*2/3,
but I argued that its more based on luck, so i proposed that it should be a dice pool of 10+edge * 2, each hit adding an inch to your length.
we were also thinking of racial modifiers, or racial bases (humans get 2, dwarfs get 1, orcs get 4, ect.)

basically, what would your group's system of determining dong size?
>>
>>46656528

Can you SURGE and get a positive metagenic quality to add 10 to dick size?
>>
>>46656528

In all seriousness, it can basically be whatever you want, thanks to biosculpting.

I'd consider penis enlargement to be a minor biosculpting procedure, meaning it costs no Essence and between 50 and 500 nuyen.
>>
>>46656528
Why?
>>
>>46656528
You could always crack open Pathfinder Vice or FATAL
>>
>>46656684
yea, full sex change, no essence cost.
replacing a finger? .01 essence cost
>>
>>46656684
How much would it cost to give a girl a 13 inch horse cock?
>>
In Debt quality. Can someone explain to me why is it necessary to spend karma to get rid of it? I mean it's already a fairly annoying disadvantage when you have to spend money you earn to pay it off.

>The quality can be bought off if the character has both enough Karma and cash to pay the debt. If they only have the cash but not the Karma, they can trade for another negative quality of equal Karma. If they don’t want to do that, then the lenders suddenly become scarce, and the character is unable to make the payment until interest compounds again, leaving them deeper in debt.

>Yeah, we know you have the money to pay us back, but we're not gonna take it, nyah nyah!
>>
File: Screenshot_104.png (35KB, 599x308px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_104.png
35KB, 599x308px
>>46656684
>>
>>46656858
From what I've heard, it's basically a bit of overshooting. In 4e, In Debt was basically toothless and so it was basically free gear.
>>
>>46656886
dunno how angle of the tip factors into that.
>>
>>46656920

Free gear you'll have to pay back for sometime, with interest, which is pretty difficult in of itself, since you'll have to pay for living and everything else.

So when other people get to scale with karma and nuyen, you're only scaling with karma. And when you finally make ends meet and pay it off you're going to have to give back the karma you 'loaned'. That's really dumb.

Same with Wanted. I can only see that quality going away if the character actually goes and risks his life to wipe out some files or something to that effect, so it's not just free karma.
>>
File: staredown.png (17KB, 238x249px) Image search: [Google]
staredown.png
17KB, 238x249px
>>46656774

There's plenty of ways to interpret how to do it properly.

Easiest is probably just to add Cybergenitialia. ¥2,000 and .25 Essence (or 1 Capacity, if the Cybergenitalia is installed in a liminal body or something - yes, this means you can make a double-dicked hermaphrodite cyber-centaur).

To get a living cock, she'll either need a full sex change (no Essence, ¥10,000) or Reproductive Replacement (.1 Essence, ¥8,000 for male organs) followed by Severe Biosculpting to splice in the horse genes (.25-.5 Essence, ¥2,000-10,000).

Talk it over with your GM, I guess?
>>
>>46657072
Like I said. From what I've heard the 4e version was fairly toothless as far as the interest went, and might have even been easier to get rid of.

Honestly never really looked at either version much.
>>
Is there a 5e or 4e Statblock for the Ares Alpha grenade launcher anywhere?
>>
>>46657072

I've heard a good way to deal with In Debt that might fly depending on how your GM interprets the quality:

Pay off the principle until you only owe 10 nuyen. Now your monthly interest is only 1 nuyen. Meet up with your debtor once a month and buy him a Nuk-It burger.
>>
>>46657146
>Reproductive replacement costs more essence than a full sex change
>>
>>46657171

Well fair enough to that.

The devs seem to vision negative qualities as something which will stick with your character to the end of their lives, and while I don't necessarily get that, I can respect it.

So maybe adjust it so that it never gives any bonus karma, only the money that needs to be paid back sometime. I think that should work, if the karma is only borrowed in the first place.
>>
>>46656528
our team rolled a d12, and 3 people got 10.

>there must be a better way.
>>
>>46657240
Ironically, I looked at In Debt for 5e (already had Run Faster for lifestyle stuff) and In Debt doesn't give karma.

Well, it does but it's automatically spent for more nuyen, which the In Debt negative quality gives you bonuses on/to.
>>
>>46657238

Reproductive Replacement is the equivalent of attaching a new cloned limb. It's a surgical procedure.

The sex-change procedure is a weird biosculpting thing that involves sleeping in a vat for a month.

I don't know if that justifies the difference, but that's the SR5 rules text.
>>
>>46657372

It's still negative karma that you can spend elsewhere. You just lose access to the 1 karma per 2,000 nuyen trade that is normally available.

So you can't double-down on In Debt by taking In Debt 10 and spending the 10 karma you get on another ¥20,000.
>>
>>46657372

Well, one point of karma normally equals 2000 n¥ instead of 5k which in debt gives you.

But after reading the description with thought, it does seem that you don't get to keep an spend the karma. In which case the quality is even worse.

>>46657465

Yeah, you're right. In which case, chummer5 doesn't work well with the quality. If that attention whoring tripshit is around, he should take note.
>>
>>46657465
At least by my reading of it, the negative karma you get from In Debt are spent on nuyen. Like, if you get In Debt 10, that ten negative karma automatically goes to nuyen at the 'improved' In Debt rate.

At least my reading of 'These points are spent in place of the normal karma for extra cash[...]' seems to indicate that you can't take In Debt 10 and spend seven on scratch and three on your skill for scratching people.
>>
Do you think they sell real, non-soy low quality food like corn dogs and chicken nuggets?
>>
>>46657562

Yeah, you're right.

You get In Debt X, the quality gives you 10 bonus karma. You then must spend the 10 karma it gives you to buy 50k nuyen.

So in essence it never gives you any extra karma to spend in character creation, but you can use the 10 karma you would have spent on extra cash for something else.

In that light, forcing the player to pay back for the bonus karma really is dumb as fuck.
>>
>>46657604
They use myco-protein for cloning food, so it's probably just cloned. For some reason everyone who plays Shadowrun thinks everything is soy, where it even states quite often that cloned food is common as well.
>>
>>46657562
>>46657609

All I know is that's not how Herolab implemented it, and they're generally correct since they actually have a line to Catalyst.
>>
>>46657413
One of them is a far more radically invasive procedure than the other and leaves the body much different. And yet the more extensive procedure costs no essence at all.
>>
>>46657821

The extensive procedure is holistic in a way that the surgical procedure isn't.

Supposedly.
>>
>>46657622
Stuff like wheat is pretty common as well.

Considering aquaculture can allow a hobbyist to spam greens and catfish/tilapia I would assume veggies and fish protein is relatively common.

It's mainly beef and other animal proteins that have been priced out of people's lives.

That and you can sell someone a month worth of freeze dried soy protein so their soy reconstitution machine can just make you a yummy taco surprise on a 3 minute cook cycle.
>>
>>46657876
another thing, all the critters running around. You'd think meat would be more readily available due to hunting out of necessity.
>>
>>46657863
I suspect this is to cater to tumblr trannies, much like that line in Data Trails that talks about how the patriarchy can only survive in the Matrix.
>>
What is everyone's opinion on the Shadows of Hong Kong bonus campaign for SRHK?
>>
>>46657928

Short but sweet. I liked it. Differences based on the main campaign ending were basically dialogue only.
>>
>>46657960

Yeah sucked that saving Raymond makes no difference.
>>
>>46657986
HBS isn't Bioware they arent going to program in a lot of plot logic for a crowd funded application
>>
>>46657917

>being a moron
>wah wah tumblr wah
>in 2016

It's Sci Fi, dickweed. If it bothers you that much just fluff it in this way

>filthy SJW wageslaves demanded better treatments for Trans operations
>scientists SCIENCED and made a new treatment that DNA alters people without the need for invasive surgery
>treatment could not be used to grow new limbs, just engineer them

There I solved your stupid broken record problem. Not that you won't stop bitching about it...
>>
>>46657817

>The player and gamemaster must work out the details, but the happy thing is, for every point of Karma (up to 15) spent to be In Debt, the character gets 5,000 nuyen to spend during character creation. These points are spent in place of the normal Karma for extra cash and extend the possible additional funds to 75,000¥.

It seems pretty clear to me.

>pick a level of quality
>get karma corresponding to the level
>spend karma to get money at a rate of 5000 per point
>up to a maximum of 75000, or 15 points of karma
>normal 2000 nuyen per a point of karma no longer applies, and you may allocate those points elsewhere
>>
>>46657917
100%, it was done because some people felt marginalised by losing essence to the snip/tuck.
>>
Speaking of herolab, is it better than chummer, and does anyone have a link to a less legal version that's free?
>>
>>46658708
Genetic engineering causes essence loss still, you know that, right?
>>
File: 1438740173022.jpg (87KB, 645x899px) Image search: [Google]
1438740173022.jpg
87KB, 645x899px
>>46655187
>>46655237
>I'm guessing that it's a balance issue, because I'm literally seeing no difference between them from an objective standpoint, as they're both essentially blocks of metal.

It's the same reason you can't enchant decks, and spirits don't show up looking like Transformers; magic and technology are diametrically opposed. You have a hard enough time turning one piece of processed metal (like a sword) into a magic item, to bring together many different mechanical pieces, with chemical reactions and circuitry in the weapon... it's too much. You can't force mana to interact with something so inherently unnatural.
>>
>>46658708
hahaha kys fgt

>implying that it's not weird and doesn't blatantly stand out
>talking about holistic integrity of the body and soul but changing a defining part of it without losing essence

It's no problem for me, but it's stupid. They could have just said that it was to appease to the mentally ill.
>>
File: A Very Special Chart.png (115KB, 856x851px) Image search: [Google]
A Very Special Chart.png
115KB, 856x851px
>>46656528
>>
>>46658869

There's nothing inherently unnatural about a firearm that wouldn't also apply to simple weapons.

You could make the argument that electricity and magic don't match, but that's easily fixed by taking off the stupid as fuck smartlinks and stuff.
>>
File: rolexes not included.jpg (165KB, 663x1000px) Image search: [Google]
rolexes not included.jpg
165KB, 663x1000px
Any must have gear or contacts for someone wanting to deal in/use BTLs?

We're rolling up scummy characters and I'm loosely basing my face off of pic related.
>>
>>46658909
Just houserule it. Shadowrun is pretty much only an acceptable ruleset for running Shadowrun. The only special thing is the setting, so just houserule it. There are too many stupid rules and too much stupid fluff to discuss it all at length.
>>46658918
a datajack and a sim module

a sim rig and some prime editing software if you want to make your own btls

a safehouse or a high security stash

Contacts:
Coyotes for smuggling
Smaller dealers for your street game
A producer of BTLs if you're not making them yourself. (A syndicate for example)
A gang or muscle to protect your organization

most important:
A gm that lets you have some fun with your business and makes some juicy story hooks out of it
>>
>>46658918
Simsense producers for product

Bartender or Club owner for product sales.

Gang boss for distribution
>>
>>46656415
>while you're entirely within your rights to handwave a rating 6 pack in your pocket on you at all times
If you have briefcase sized pockets, that's your thing, man.
>>
File: Screenshot (77).png (149KB, 653x299px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (77).png
149KB, 653x299px
>>46658909
>There's nothing inherently unnatural about a firearm that wouldn't also apply to simple weapons.

In the 6th World, there is. A bunch of moving parts is more technological and less able to be affected by magic than a single piece. The farther you get from holistic, straight from the Earth, the less mana wants to do with it -you can get away with Bronze Age-era stuff, but no farther.
>>
>>46659056
>Just houserule it. Shadowrun is pretty much only an acceptable ruleset for running Shadowrun. The only special thing is the setting, so just houserule it. There are too many stupid rules and too much stupid fluff to discuss it all at length.

Well sure, but I need solid arguments to convince the GM. But I think he'll be okay with it since the character is a gun nut mage with a knack for artificing, so he'll design the formula and make the focus himself so he isn't going to have it at the beginning of the game or anything. He actually doesn't even have a lodge, and he's up to his ears in debt.
>>
>>46658909
In the spiritual sense there's a difference - you got whole bunch of legendary melee weapons, but I can think of only three or four legendary guns
>>
>>46659089

>hand-carved wood
>metal cold-worked by hand

So he can enchant a custom 1911. Cool, we'll go with that. Thanks anon.
>>
>>46659110

That's just arbitrary as fuck.
>>
File: 590.png (345KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
590.png
345KB, 640x480px
>>46659119
You just described Shadowrun rules in a nutshell.
>>
>>46659111
Still going to be limited by foci rules.
>>
>>46659147

No it's not, because we'll just disregard any stupid rules that make little sense even in their own setting.
>>
File: gaius.gif (2MB, 256x144px) Image search: [Google]
gaius.gif
2MB, 256x144px
stat him, tg, face and decker or rigger
>>
>>46658822

Yes, but probably not better enough to justify the price tag for getting all the SR5 content. There's no pirated version because Hero Lab's licensing system is a cthonic behemoth the likes of which no mortal can vanquish.
>>
File: 1437936842454.jpg (188KB, 572x820px) Image search: [Google]
1437936842454.jpg
188KB, 572x820px
>>46659111
You got it right in the first post, anon, it's for balance reasons. Don't try and push the GM to break the game so you can have your super special gun when there's already plenty of ways to sperg out and make a super special gun.

Although the thought that you're going to sink tons of karma into worst magic is a cold comfort.
>>
>>46659197

I like to play niche characters, sue me.

The guy I'm designing is like /k/ incarnate, he literally worships guns and is trying to make them even better with magic.
>>
>>46659165
Ok. You have fun with that, chief.
>>
>>46659219
In our game my adept had the slides of her 2 pistols enchanted.
one as a qi focus, the other as a centering focus
>>
>>46659264

That's what I'll end up doing if I can't make the whole gun into a weapon focus.
>>
File: Do Better.jpg (54KB, 500x339px) Image search: [Google]
Do Better.jpg
54KB, 500x339px
>>46659219
>The guy I'm designing is like /k/ incarnate, he literally worships guns and is trying to make them even better with magic.

Which is a fun bit of characterization, and would be a great hobby for your character, a project they work on in the background to flesh them out a bit. Going on a Taiwanese macrame discussion forum and begging people to give you reasons to argue with the GM until he breaks both setting and mechanical rules to let you succeed is some bullshit.
>>
>>46659264
>>46659264
I built a gun adept who used dual Warhawks and had them enchanted as Weapon Foci and took Elemental Weapon (Lightning). He had high Clubs and carried a stun baton for back up. It was a good old time.
>>
>>46659276

You could just play a Mystic Adept and have your guns be a Qi Focus for Improved Ability (Pistols).
>>
>>46659077
>>46659056
Thanks omaes.
>>
>>46659294

Well I wasn't begging for reasons, I was asking for good reasons why it shouldn't be done. Thus far I haven't really got any.

Don't worry, he won't become some stupidly overpowered killing machine. (As much as he'd like it)
>>
>>46659365
If you really want a way to improve your pistols, use the Imbue Item and Attune Item rituals from Street Grimoire. Combine that with enough weapon mods, and you've got a serious piece of hardware.
>>
File: Doubt.jpg (144KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Doubt.jpg
144KB, 1440x1080px
>>46659365
You got a reason, you just breezed past it. You can't have gun foci because guns are too processed and mechanical. No, you can't make a gun in your backyard and have it be OK, no, can't turn some 5th age relic into a focus, it just can't be done. You can't even have a fucking magic bow, at least one that makes the arrows it fires into magic. That's just how mana works- if you don't swing it, you don't enchant it. Just get a little charm, some piece of steel you lovingly carved into an AK, turn it into a centering focus, and tie it to the stock of your gun. Same end result, and you don't have to put the DM or the setting through hoops.
>>
>>46659504
>You can't even have a fucking magic bow, at least one that makes the arrows it fires into magic

I wasn't planning to. You didn't even read what I initially wrote, did you?

The bullets won't be magical, but as a weapon focus, you can wield the gun with more precision and skill than you normally could.
>>
>>46659541

Dude, seriously. Just play a mys-ad and make your gun a Qi focus for Improved Ability.

It's an in-rules magic gun that you wield with more precision and skill than normal.
>>
>>46659640

No.
>>
>>46659541
I did read it, and the explanation that you didn't want to shoot magical bullets in the astral. I am pointing out, again, that firearm (or any other ranged weapon focus) is impossible, RAW and RAI. No die pool bonus for you, use any of the dozens of options to improve guns that already exist, >>46651264 and it's replies should give you enough to start with. Be an actual /k/omrade and make your gun better, don't just sprinkle it with fairy dust.
>>
>>46659675

How exactly does a magical sword then work in Shadowrun?
>>
>>46659719
Who knows? It's Shadowrun magic. Shadowrun was conceived 1989 and is known for having a fun, but perhaps not consistent or well-thought out universe. Shadowrun magic is not an exception to this.
Magic guns just don't work. I'm sorry that they don't but that's just how it goes.
>>
>>46659912

See? Retarded rules that don't make sense even in their own setting.
>>
>>46659197
>Although the thought that you're going to sink tons of karma into worst magic is a cold comfort.
Whoa wait there laddie, what's so bad about artificing?
>>
>>46659928
Okay, but you still can't get a magic gun. As said before, it's against RAW and RAI.
>>
>>46659955

Sure I can, because we'll just ignore retarded rules.
>>
>>46659541
>you can wield the gun with more precision and skill than you normally could
Sustaining focus or quickened spell; analyse device. Or go with a technomancer & diagnostics.
>>
>>46659719

It's an astral construct (in this case: an astral sword) that's embedded to the actual sword. Hitting someone with it on the physical plane also hits them on the astral, hence the bonus.

You can make an astral gun, but it can't fire astral bullets. So your astral gun weapon focus only helps out when you actually whack someone with the gun.

You can embed non-weapon astral constructs into a physical weapon, thus making your physical sword into something like a Centering Focus or a Power Focus. These astral constructs, when connected to your aura, help you do other magic bullshit better.

Does that adequately answer your question?
>>
>>46659912
>>46659928
If you want to know how they work, go read a book. Saying they don't make sense before you put the yards in just makes you sound retarded.
>>
>>46659996
>Does that adequately answer your question?

No, because unless I'm missing something, you can hit drones with your magical sword and still get the bonus. Drones, as you know, don't have an astral signature.
>>
File: Explaining Trolls.jpg (1MB, 680x1671px) Image search: [Google]
Explaining Trolls.jpg
1MB, 680x1671px
>>46660037
Anon passed 'retarded' a long while back.
>>
>>46660054
From the Core book:

>It adds magical power to your melee attack

Weapon Foci don't do any astral bullshit. They make you swing the sword harder.

It's not about accuracy or precision, it's about the strength of the swing. It doesn't help you aim.
>>
>>46660133

You quoted only a part of it.

>When used in physical combat, it gives you its Force as a dice pool bonus on your melee Attack Test. You still rely on your Physical Attributes and skills in combat; the weapon focus merely makes you more effective.

It doesn't increase damage IF you hit, it makes you more likely TO hit (and indirectly adds damage by increasing net hits).

So, they make you more accurate and precise when using the weapon.
>>
Can you get negative qualities after character creation?
Do you get karma for them?

like, what if I want to BECOME paranoid?
>>
>>46660232
>Can you get negative qualities after character creation?

Yes.

>Do you get karma for them?

No.
>>
>>46660232
Yeah, probably.
Pretty sure you don't.
>>
>>46660204

Based on how I read it, it should be represented as +DV, but that's a pretty coarse knob in SR5 so they represented it as a dice pool bonus.
>>
>>46660277

I really can't guess into their intentions, it could literally go either way.
>>
I just always assumed that "help me line up sights with this thing that is far away that could be anything and account for wind/etc" was too complex for a weapon focus, especially when coupled with the complexity of a firearm, whereas "Hit that thing I otherwise would have narrowly missed" with a sharp metal bar isn't.
>>
i dont think theres a rationale behind it, its all game-balance. i think
>>
>>46660761

At the ranges where most of shadowrun fights seem to happen it's mostly just point-shooting, and I really don't see a reason why a magical focus wouldn't help there.

>>46660916

Yeah, I think we've established that by now.
>>
>>46660204
See >>46659418. As much as I think the dude's a prick, this is eaxactly what you want: Massive accuracy boosts, assorted other benefits, and it's magical imbuement of a weapon.
>>
so, the book says bad luck if active moves a glitch into a critical glitch. But it doesn't mention what happens if you try to edge a critical glitch and get bad luck.

What is a critical critical glitch like?
>>
>>46661276
you sneeze and your brain comes out :P
>>
>>46660232
depends on the quality. And how your DM feels. addiction is the most immediate to come to mind.
>>
I need some help with my character's backstory, I'm using the SR:HK backstory to go off of which is fine and dandy since I've filled in the gaps but I'm trying to think of why my character landed in corporate jail. He's just a regular dude if a little violent who channeled it into boxing (he's also a physical adept) and used his money to keep his favorite gym from closing.
>>
>>46661276
If your rounds cook off on a critical glitch, they cook off and set off your grenades on a critical glitch squared. If you crash on a glitch, you get a GTA-style pyroclastic death ball on a crit squared. If your drain is irressitable on a crit glitch, you just self-immolate on a crit squared.

Basically? Bad stuff occurs.
>>
>>46661276
Probably up to the GM to choose just how dead and non-existent you are.
>>
>>46657928
I liked it, the endings made were really bittersweet though. I would have loved being able to have everyone with me in Seattle.
>>
>>46661093

I quickly browsed over that, but apparently attunement is only for adepts, and this guy is a pure mage.
>>
>>46661478

Add in lolis, because they make everything better. Like for example, he did it for his cute 11 year old little sister.
>>
>>46662253
Then he's a pillock. You can't get any good weapon abilities as a mage, unless you custom build a thing to cook off F9 Lightning Bolt preparations.
>>
>>46655182
Nice walking bounty in a tight spot.
>>
>>46662278
He's gay.
>>
>>46662473

Gay for little girls?
>>
>>46662481
Regular gay, now fuck off.
>>
>>46662508

Regularly gay for little girls, got it.
>>
>>46662508
shouta?
>>
>>46662517
No.
>>
>>46662517

Psst dude it's shota not shouta. You have to know these things you know.
>>
>>46662515
le ebin loli maymay
>>
>>46656415
A rating 6 medkit can be implanted in a cybernetic forearm. So, no, the B&B guidelines are no longer reasonable. Having a rating 6 medkit with you on a run is not only perfectly feasible, but also a life saver. Especially when it's the only loser with high LOG that eats a bullet.
>>
>>46662473
What's being gay got to do with having a cute little sister?

You know cute isn't just a sexual thing, right? Like, puppies are cute, but you stick your dick in them. At least, you shouldn't.
>>
>>46662557
kill yourself
>>
>>46662560
>>A rating 6 medkit can be implanted in a cybernetic forearm

You can have a dufflebag sized kit in your forearm? Wow, you must be a massive troll.
>>
>>46662564
"Loli" is pedoshit, I don't like it.
>>
>>46662590

>not liking loli
What are you, gay?
>>
>>46662618
Yes, I'm also not that much of a degenerate.
>>
>>46662638

>he's actually gay
Dude that's queer as fuck.
>>
>>46662590
Then address that fact in counter to the anon's suggestion rather than making an unrelated statement.

To answer your original issue of how your character landed in jail, maybe he got scapegoated for something he was only hardly involved with. Or maybe a he got in a bar fight or something.
>>
>>46657928
On the plus side, it's more runs and the opposition is finally tough enough that you need those platinum trauma kits.

On the negative, it's pointless. Barely a link to the decisions in the main story and the side story is just meh.
>>
>>46662650
I realize now I misread his response as "he did his sister." I was thinking that but I'm stuck on ideas of what exactly he'd have been scapegoated for and he's not the type to get in random bar fights.
>>
>>46662681

Freud would like a word with you.
>>
File: 1386945541056.jpg (104KB, 500x784px) Image search: [Google]
1386945541056.jpg
104KB, 500x784px
Did someone mention lolis?
>>
>>46659365
>Thus far I haven't really got any.
Game balance. That's all there is to it.
>>
>>46662736

Game balance is overrated.
>>
>>46662681
Is cool. Mistakes happen.

About scapegoating.
I'm imagining someone targeted him, and used him as an accessory to the crime. Something like a drug-deal or embezzling. Like, a coworker come up to him and says, "Hey anon, can you do me a favor? I need to get the miscellaneous work thing into bossman the boss by later today, but I also promised my buddy to get his daughter a gift for her birthday. Mind driving it over to him for me? C'mon, you owe me for that one time I covered your shift."

Turns out, it was contraband. Cops caught him, Coworker denied involvement.
>>
>>46662581
No, those are the rules as par Chrome Flesh. Granted, they're their own bag of stupid since capacity in a cyberlimb is the same whether you're a giant or a pixie. But the B&B rules that are a remnant of 4e are no longer relevant.
>>
>>46662843

How do you explain a similar size medkit having higher rating then, love?
>>
>>46662814
Sounds plausible, I was writing that he did some oddjobs for the owner of the gym. But, maybe I forgot to mention, it's corporate jail as the game specifies.
>>
>>46662814

I like this story, but there needs to be more little girls in it.
>>
>>46662861
Better materiel and a more advanced "help program", tucked in the same box. See also comlinks, cyberdecks, RCC's and other 'one-size-fits-all' items with multiple ratings.
>>
Does it mention the illuminati anywhere in shadowrun, or am I free to insert them where I will?
>>
>>46663017
Plot twist:
The contraband deal was actually with the coworker's friend's daughter. Her father had no idea what was going on.
>>
>>46663023

So it's "it's future, I ain't gotta explain shit" is it?

There's a limit to how good your materials get, and it sure as fuck isn't going to double your effectiveness by getting more blingier gauze in the pack.

And the help program can only do so much. You need actual hardware to make a difference, and that hardware takes space.

Commlinks and that electrical jazz mostly deals with the matrix, and it's mostly software with possibly some extra processing power. But those don't interact with an actual patient.
>>
>>46663210

Now you got my interest piqued. What on earth could it be that a little girl would want that gets anon's character landed in corporate prison for an extended period of time?

Some cute extra rare and extra illegal critter stolen from a top secret corp lab or something?
>>
File: 1460330339016.png (230KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1460330339016.png
230KB, 640x360px
>>46663222
Bruh.
There's magic and nanomachines, son and you're here debating whether someone can make a medkit smaller?

555-come-on-now
>>
>>46663249
The contents of the bag are never revealed, but as anon spends time in prison, he runs into several other inmates who are there under suspiciously similar circumstances. Turns out, this girl has struck before, and will likely strike again.
>>
>>46663330

The medkit doesn't involve magic, and nanomachine medkits are separate. They're called saviour medpacks if I'm not mistaken.

Anything else you'd like to point out?
>>
>>46663341

Oh no, an evil loli!

I hope she's not actually evil, but only doing it for attention and doesn't understand the severity of her little pranks.
>>
>>46663362
The world may never know, if this corruption goes unanswered.

She's just trying to order a damn pizza, but wrote down the number wrong, and keeps calling the black market instead. "Pizza" is the code they use for high-end infiltration software, so they take her seriously, assuming her voice is a voice-changer.
>>
>>46663443

Oh that would actually be really hilarious. You made me laugh out loud, good job anon.
>>
>>46663454
Just wait till CIA spooks show up and she gets grounded for trying to use her dad's credit card to order pizza.

Hey anon! We fixed your backstory for you!
>>
>>46663347
You didn't get it.
You're trying to argue logic in a world where there are talking dragons, immortal elves and people who can log on the internet with their brains.

Just stop being autistic and enjoy the game your way. Dude.
>>
>>46663536

No. I won't be happy until you enjoy it my way as well.
>>
>>46663536
>Shadowrun as a universe has no consistency or laws
Hey hey hey you're wrong.
>>
>>46663347
Implanted medkit = 10 capacity (no rating limit)
10 capacity = room available in a cybernetic forearm.

Anything else you need to get pointed out that the B&B rules are outdated and no longer relevant?
>>
>>46663546
Yeah well, you'll need to pry the fun from my cold, dead hands then.

>>46663560
Nice b8
>>
>>46663567

So they didn't double-check the consistency of the established rules, what else is new?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnPM7I49fj8

will we ever reach the squirtpocalypse /tg/?
>>
>>46663586
They don't even allow you to purchase DMSO by itself anymore, do they? I remember that it wasn't in Shadowrun 4th edition (Well, it was in the 2050 book but typically people don't allow that).

The days of squirtgun wars are over.
>>
Is there a decent term for lady cyber genitals?
Writing shadowrun smut.

>power pussy
>>
>>46663536
>"it's a fantasy" argument
Seriously?
>>
>>46659954
Pls respond ;_;
>>
What are some nice things to put in a "do not open" delivery box?
>>
>>46664033
Deltaware dragon dildo strapons with DNI
>>
>>46663824
DMSO was in 4E, I used it in shotgun capsule slugs.
>>
>>46664011
It's useless.
>>
>>46664088

How?
>>
>>46664101
Waste of Karma, just buy artifacts.
You'll never get enough dice to be a good artificier as a player character anyways
>>
>>46664126

But it saves money and can make you money if you sell foci.
>>
>>46664135

If the game was about being a talismonger, it'd be called Talismong.
>>
>>46664173

Well it would mean that you aren't dependant on some fuck who just wants your money.

Why have the skill in the first place if it's so useless?
>>
File: 1442269545856.png (230KB, 500x456px) Image search: [Google]
1442269545856.png
230KB, 500x456px
>>46664033
things to put on the box
>not pizza
>used condoms
>used syringes
>medical waste
>box of wigs
>box of figs
>not snake
>year books
>sowing supplies
>magazines from 30 years ago
>news papers from 50 years ago
things to put in the box
>venomous reptiles
>explosives
>photos of the target's ex wife with another man and their kids
>severed body parts
>severed body parts packed full of explosives
>box with photos concealing venomous reptiles and severed body parts packed full of explosives
>Sting albums.
>Spiders
>Skeletons
> SPIDERS AND SKELETONS
>>
>>46664184
So you can flesh out contacts if you want to do so.

A Talismonger making a living out of crafting Foci is a typical NPC. It's just a terrible choice for PCs.
>>
>>46664184
Because of "how about we add another magic skillgroup instead of make something interesting with spellcasting or conjuring" idea.
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 512x287px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 512x287px
I just played a greatest sibling simulator on PC.

Okay seriously /srg/, what are the sourcebooks to read if I want to know more about Shadowrun Asia? Or is most of the lore in the game home brewed?
>>
>>46663824
It's in Stolen Souls, you still can buy it. 50¥ a pop, 5R availability.

>DMSO (DIMETHYL SULFOXYDE)
>When mixed with another compound, dimethyl sulfoxide allows that compound to be absorbed rapidly through the skin. This provides runners with all sorts of possibilities, including lacing objects a person normally handles with a drug meant to incapacitate them. The individual often will not realize they have been drugged until it’s too late. The contact vector is one of the most subtle and reliable means to deliver a toxin or drug, and it is preferred by both assassins and extraction teams.
>>
>>46664263
Shadows of Asia, Corporate Enclaves, Vice. Maybe some others.
>>
>>46664226
>>46664229

Well fair enough. Are any of the magical crafting skills actually useful at all?
>>
>>46664271
you can now go swimming in cocaine
>>
>>46664281
As it is, no. But you can easily homebrew alchemy into something useful by removing second roll.
>>
>>46664263

>Based Duncan "Subdue Your Whole Crew" Wu

The released a companion sourcebook for SR:HK. It's available in the pastebin, as the Shadowrun Returns Hong Kong Sourcebook.
>>
>>46664321

Damn. I skipped on counterspelling and astral combat to get enough points for arcana and artificing, should I just switch points over?
>>
>>46664364

Oh, and also ritual magic. I never managed to wrap my head around its usefulness, so I kinda skipped it. Should I not have?
>>
>>46664364
>astral combat
You can just throw manaballs, you know.
>arcana
Using for learning spells (if your gm keep track on learning time) and few other things.
>>46664392
>ritual magic
I cannot remember anything useful aside from golems and watchers. It can be very powerful when bunch of mages work together, but that's not the case for runner.
>>
>>46664392
Watcher and Homonculus rituals are useful, but you can do without Ritual Magic as a whole as a PC.
>>
>>46664556

Yeah, I just read about astral combat, and apparently it's only used for melee attacks in the astral plane. I don't know where I got the idea that it would be useful for a pure mage, but I do see my mistake. And I'm guessing you recommend skipping on Arcana as well?

>>46664556
>>46664570

As for ritual stuff, I looked at watchers and homunculi, but then I figured that is there anything really preventing me from summoning a spirit instead and asking it to do whatever it is I wanted a watcher/homunculus to do? It would probably be something simple, like "wake me up if someone or something tries to enter my home".

Another question for you two, how useful is binding? If I'm looking at this right, it's not really all that important when you can just conjure up a new spirit and have him do whatever you want it to. I mean sure it only takes a simple action and you wouldn't have to risk damaging yourself with drain, but is that really all of it?
>>
>>46664556
>>46664570

>2076
>not uniting an all magic runner team and defeating your enemies with the power of FRIENDSHIP

I don't even understand you runners anymore.
>>
A few questions about possession.
> If you use a posessed object, can you use the spirit's DP on the skill used ?
> Can spirits possessing objects move on their own ? Can spirits posessing living things fly ?
> Any rules against a spirit posessing a reparation lynchpin or a foci ?
>>
>>46664607
Summoned Spirits only last until next sunrise and you can only have one at a time.

To get more (up to your CHA)/longer lasting Spirits, you must Bind them.

Watcher and Homonculus you can get on top of your 'stable' of Spirits, they don't count toward that limit. More 'people' to work with.
>>
>>46664326

That's awesome.

>tfw Gobbet and Isobel are shit compared to Ractor and Gaichu but I brought them with Duncan and I to fight Krait for role playing reasons
>>
>>46664654
>Summoned Spirits only last until next sunrise and you can only have one at a time.

Yeah, but mechanically there isn't much that is different, is there?

>To get more (up to your CHA)/longer lasting Spirits, you must Bind them.

Well, my guy could only have two spirits bound to him anyway.

Could he have two bound spirits and one summoned one out at the same time?

>Watcher and Homonculus you can get on top of your 'stable' of Spirits, they don't count toward that limit. More 'people' to work with.

But they're not really that long lasting either, they only stay in existance for Force x net hits hours. That might actually end up being less than what a summoned spirit would stay in meatspace if you time it right.
>>
>>46664616
It's because of those stupid shamans who cannot understand even the simplest magic formulas.
>>
>>46664691
>Yeah, but mechanically there isn't much that is different, is there?

Nope. As I said above, you can do without Ritual Magic as a PC, you won't lose much.

>Could he have two bound spirits and one summoned one out at the same time?
Yup.

>they only stay in existance for Force x net hits hours
(Force*net hits) days in the case of a Homonculus, but yes. You typically summon a Watcher during legwork when you don't want to waste a spirit's services. The ritual only takes (Force) minutes to complete, so you can have an extra magic eye in the sky quickly. But again, you can perfectly do without.
>>
>>46664788

Thank you anon, you've been very helpful.
>>
Wow, I didn't realise that binding spirits would be so expensive.

>25 drams per force of the spirit, with one dram being 20 nuyen, equaling 500 ny per force
>force 4 spirit costs 2000 to bind, probably negating most of your profits from a basic run

Goddamn.
>>
>>46664947
True, but on the other hand, you can use Edge on both the Summoning and Binding tests to get a bunch of services from a bound Spirit.

Treat your high Force bound Spirit(s) as "when SHTF only" device(s) and they'll last you a long time.
>>
>>46664947
It lets you bypass 1 spirit per summoner rule AND allows you to use spirit to assist magic.

Suffice it to say it's worth it. Also 2k isn't that big of a deal, but if you gonna bind a spirit bind a spirit of F=Your magic, that you got decent number of services when summoning (3+ for a F6). With edge as a booster.
>>
>>46665042

Speaking of binding, what is the skill actually used for? The book notes that it's summoning + magic [force] vs. force and binding test is summoning + magic [force] vs. force x2.
>>
Is a doctor character worth it if they're not really good at another more traditional role?
>>
>>46665090
What are you gonna do until someone get hurt? What are you gonna do if nobody get hurt during the run?
>>
>>46665072
Binding.

Summoning is easier at Summoning + MAG vs. Spirit's Force. A quick jolt on the Physical plane can be fun, hence they don't resist too much.

Binding is harder at Binding + MAG vs. Spirit's Force *2. Dem Spirits no like having to hang around dumb meatbag for long, omae.
>>
>>46665072
>Opposed Binding + Magic [Force] v. spirit’s Force x 2 CRB 301.
Check again.
>>46665090
Medic is a great off spec, but honestly there simply isn't enough to make it an archetype ofits own. On plus side you can use almost any archetype as the primary one.
>>
>>46665123

But the book says that for binding you use summoning skill.
>Binding is used to compel long-term services from a spirit that you’ve already summoned. This takes one hour per Force of the spirit and requires (Force x 25) drams of reagents to be used up in the binding. The test is an Opposed Summoning + Magic [Force] v. spirit’s Force x 2, and it inflicts Drain equal to twice the hits (not net hits) on the spirit’s defense test, minimum 2. Additional net hits beyond the first add to the number of services the spirit owes.
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-04-14 11.57.47.png (670KB, 612x918px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-04-14 11.57.47.png
670KB, 612x918px
>>46665147
I'm not making this up.
>>
>>46665123
Also worth noting that by the setting, summoned spirits are free to act by the letter of each service, which can be bad if you piss them off. Bound spirits have to observe the spirit of the service, as well.
>>
File: Corrected.jpg (349KB, 935x661px) Image search: [Google]
Corrected.jpg
349KB, 935x661px
>>46665168
I know, that was a nasty typo in the first version of the book.

They corrected that one at least.
>>
>>46665227

Well that at least makes sense.

>>46665189

So I'll have to be careful with the wording, but I don't think my character would be the kind of person to piss off spirits for no reason.

Anyways, I'm heading to bed. Thanks for the help.
>>
>>46664326
>Duncan "Stoppin' Fights and Readin' Rights" Wu
>Duncan "Tied, Bound, and a Ride Downtown" Wu
>Duncan "Drops the Hammer, Puts 'Em in the Slammer" Wu
>>
>>46650277
Finding someone to sell all that seven7 to will be a gamble at supplying some nutjob terrorists that use it to blow up the subway with it.
>>
>>46650371
Just redact it?
>>
>>46650570
websites ARE hosts in virtual reality. Read the intro to the matrix section chummer. The fluff parts. The hosts are clearly visible. Unless they're not, of course, but once you know where they are you know where they are. Like some exlusive torrent page. It won't show up on google, but once you have the address you can just go straight to it.

How you get into a host? You have to be invited. Most commercial hosts have an automated setup where you request access and they just give you the customer treatment. Lets you get into the first layer of the host, which is designed like a store front or something like that. You won't be able to go into the staff only sections, unless you're a hacker.

More private hosts or areas, you have to get assigned clearance by an admin.
>>
>>46653808
>so it really shouldn't be hard to carry around several thousand nuyen in your back pocket.
It being an incredibly stupid idea is another thing entirely.
>>
>>46654886
He used to be big with megacorp of your choice. Specifically, their security inc.
He's going to get recognised across a gunfight as an old colleague. They still like him, he just hit his head and woke up in the street. His old life is still waiting for him.
>>
>>46655182
So, you're on the most wanted list, but you don't know it? Chummer, I hope you have a backup character for when you get killed 2 sessions in.
>>
>>46665435
That would probably have to be worked out with the GM.
Hopefully they're willing to give them a note that says RUN or a low level bounty hunter to start.
>>
>>46665435
You seem to have missed "not unnecessarily curel" part. Now if player has both Wanted and Amnesia... Go nuts.
>>
>>46665461
I totally meant wanted when I posted that.
I acknowledge it's giving the GM carteblanche to rim my anus, but I hope he is gentle to start.
>>
>>46665474
The GM might be gentle, your fellow players won't necessarily be.
>>
>>46665474
If your GM isn't a straight edge faggot it'll be super fun. If he's the guy who says "I'm just the arbiter" then run.
>>
>>46665488
Man that's an entirely different pot of eggs.
Maybe I can be likeable enough that players won't off me. Or a super dead killy street sam or something.
>>
>>46665507
Don't be a liability to the group and you should be fine in 95% of the cases. Even the most mercenary of runners prefer having a reliable guy at their back over a long period of time to an immediate payday. (Unless you have a million ¥ on your head, but that is beyond the scope of "Wanted")

The last remaining 5% are cases of pathological hatred for what you are (like Clockwork and Technomancers). But in those cases, the bounty is just an excuse to fuck you over in a specific way.
>>
File: 1434382043361.jpg (41KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
1434382043361.jpg
41KB, 550x512px
>>46663835
Not 'it's a fantasy' argument but 'it is a game system designed to have fun' argument.
It doesn't even remotely try to make sense anywhere.
If you think it does, well, then I'd have to say that their attempts are laughable at best.

Native tribes rising up? topkek
cyber eyes with better resolution than natural eyes? have fun having a 3 inch thick cord leading from your eye to your brain for all that data.
the matrix? horribly inefficient and stupid

My argument is that Shadowrun is meant to be fun, not logically disected.
>>
>>46665565
okay, well, I think I can do that.
Though I don't technically have much shadowrun specific experience.
>>
>>46665618
>Writing has holes in it, there for let's ignore common sense, rules and everything buy "fun"

Have you considered free form? Seems up your alley.
>>
>>46665636
Could you stop cherrypicking my arguments to further your weird trolling agenda?

It's inane to search for logic in a badly written, badly edited fantasy game.

That's all I'm saying. You can have your discussion if you want, it's just not worth it in my opinion.
>>
>>46665665
>badly written, badly edited fantasy game
Why are you here? You apparently think SR is crap. Why not go find not crap system?
>>
>>46665680
I like shadowrun.
I like it for its settings, its ideas and its theme.
I ignore the weirdness and absurdity that it brings with it.
Just like in a good action movie, you enjoy the ride and don't question logic or anything.
It's a suspension of disbelief thing for me.
>>
>>46665714
>>46665714
Then can you accept that some people prefer it as a setting that they can take seriously. Setting doesn't need to obey laws of our reality to be "realistic" only obey it's own. Sure hosts not existing in physical space is complete nonsense, that's why I happily say that they run on a mainframe somewhere or on entire corporate network using processing power network doesnt need. Sure magic exists, but it has enough laws and limitations on it too keep it grounded in its own rules. Sure speed table was made by someone who doesn't appreciate implications it has, that's why you throw it away.

"It's fantasy don't try to make sense of it" - Is pointless statement that serve no useful purpose, if you want to say "just fuck it, it's magic" in your game, that's compositely fine and if someone feels like telling you that you should take it seriously tell them to go fuck themselves. But if you come into a discussion between people who clearly do take it seriously don't just barge in shouting "Your opinion is invalid cause fantasy". Just stay out of it if you think its derpy and not worth talking about.
>>
>>46665799
Sure, that would make sense in a universe that is in itself sound.
A quality which Shadowrun has been lacking since its inception.

But you're right, that was a dick move.
Guess I'm still peeved that Shadowrun is so much squandered potential.
>>
To try and salvage this thread before it's squashed:

Do you guys often employ RFID-Shenanigans in your runs?
I can't help feeling that it is railroading if I tell the runners that they were sprayed with stealth RFID tags when they crossed this or that doorway.

Do you think I'm being too lenient in that regard?
What's your stance toward RFID ubiquity in Shadowrun? How do you handle that stuff in-game?
>>
>>46666156
I use them to teach players the value of being cautious and of a tag eraser and a Faraday caged location; that kind of things. But once my players have gotten the point, it becomes a background happenstance that only gets mentioned when it's relevant to the situation at hand.
>>
Hey /tg/, I gotta roll up a backup character, as my GM doesn't want as all sitting around for 2 hours as soon as a guy dies so he can make a new char.

Can you give me any pointers on how to be the most magical mage to ever magic?
>>
>>46666156
It takes one hit on matrix perception to detect that there are devices running silent. You could teach it to them by giving him NPC decker/agent/sprite that will hang around because J said so for the run, and teach them about matrix security basics. After it you can dump stealth tags on them no issue.
>>
>>46666382
4e? 5e?
Any restrictions?
You're not exactly giving us a lot to work with here.
>>
Hrm. Are submersion discounts still a thing? Network submersion, schooling, tasks, etc.
>>
>>46666458
Why am I so retarded?
5e, and normal character creation (AV12, Prio System) but I may use any 5e book as long as I can print out the pages I'm using.
>>
>>46659092
correct me if I'm wrong but don't you NEED a magical lodge as a magician to learn spells?
>>
>>46666382
>>46666477

Elf mage (Attributes>Magic>elf>skills>money) Shamanic or any other CHA based tradition
Exceptional Attribute Magic
Spirit whisperer
Too Pretty to hit
BARSCILWEM: 5622854517 Stats that are at 2 are bought with karma

6 Summoning
6 Spellcasting
6 Assensing
Optional skills (pick any 2 and dump 6 points into each)
Astral Combat, Etiquette, Sneaking, Perception, Negotiations, Leadership

Aka What would I do if I felt like being a munchkin. You can pretty much pick any spells you like so long as they fit your needs.
>>
>>46666580
Yes, but you can create a temporary one from reagents in a pinch.
>>
>>46666615
You might want to buy Edge up to 2 as well, as an insurance against poor rolls.
>>
>>46666663
Most Magical Mage has no poor rolls.
>>
>>46666677
Those are really famous last words, Omae.

"Here lies Triple M. Betrayed by Luck, that fickle bitch."
>>
>>46666633
Learning magic takes several days, so you have to get a permanent one.
>>46666677
Felt like turning cheese up to eleven, a more sane line would be 3523854527
>>
>>46666879
Okay, great. Just spend 500 Nuyen and the day necessary to set up a minimal permanent one.

Getting a lodge to study in is the least of a mage's problems.
>>
New Thread
>>46667566
>>
>>46667571
I hate you
Thread posts: 398
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.