[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Exalted General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 303
Thread images: 44

File: MyCrotchIsSafeFromPossession.png (2MB, 851x850px) Image search: [Google]
MyCrotchIsSafeFromPossession.png
2MB, 851x850px
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Backer Core https://mega.nz/#!E1dRBBIa!ZbQG4IasYCJRli2bhgE2MOdWeFAeV3N1rqL9kAIGbNE
>Character Sheet & Init tracker: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByD2BL6J89Nick41YUk0RUt3YlU
>Just a charsheet w/o permission request shenanigans
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for 2.5 Edition:
>All books with embedded errata notes, as well as some extras: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: http://anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew charm files: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: http://www.brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>http://www.mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

Resources for 1e:
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e

People still shit on systems they know nothing about Edition.
>>46206223
>>
>>46208157
>MyCrotchIsSafeFromPossession.png
I think you may have misunderstood that picture.
>>
What would you do with a Deathlord that's a loli all times, but when she eats, she grows into her full power
Would you slap your ST?
>>
>>46208454
If it were explained without a really damn good justification, yes.
>>
>>46208471
What would be a damn good justification?
>>
>>46208454
Yeah. Anyone describing one of their characters as a 'loli', really.
>>
>>46208494
I can't actually think of one, but I acknowledge one would theoretically be possible.

>>46208500
This.
>>
>>46208454

IC, I'd have her cut off from her food. OOC, I'd demand an explanation for why the ST made one of the biggest threats to Creation pedobait. Is this a thing that you've done or has happened to you?
>>
File: 1455008846767.gif (165KB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
1455008846767.gif
165KB, 384x288px
>>46208521
It's a thing I'm going to do. I'm fishing for justifications or suggestions.
>>
>>46208556
I suggest you hang yourself, preferably after explaining why the fuck you're going to pull that shit.
>>
File: 1455042587681.png (39KB, 156x129px) Image search: [Google]
1455042587681.png
39KB, 156x129px
>>46208576
To get my players to suggest me to hang myself, and demanding an explanation.
>>
>>46208556

If you're trying to justify setting elements, you've already failed. No matter what you come up with it's going to be patently obvious that you wanted [thing] first and only came up with reasons after the fact, and if that's the case you may as well just admit it upfront.

Start with the reason, the need/gap in the setting, and then design a setting element that feeds that need.
>>
>>46208623
Oh, so this is weak bait and not anything particularly interesting. Alright. 3/10 you got me to think there was a story for a minute.
>>
What the hell? This >>46208623 >>46208556 isn't me
but i'm still open to suggestions though
>>
>>46208759
why
>>
>>46208759

>What the hell? This >>46208623 >>46208556 isn't me.

Such is the nature of posting on Anonymous image boards.

>but i'm still open to suggestions though

Here's two: >>46208576 >>46208641
>>
>>46208778
Why not?
It also fits the game I'm running, it's like a SoL Exalted
>>
Say, if a Sidereal has a child, what are the chances it could be taken to Yu Shan to help his father's business?
>>
>>46209260

No reason it couldn't happen, I don't think; though it'd be pretty much 100% up to the Sidereal, s'not like the other parent can leave the kid on their stoop. Go for it.
>>
>>46209413
Would the "forgetting the siddy" thingy work on the child or not?
>>
>>46209260

Slim, I reckon. The mother, if human, is unlikely to remember the Sidereal father. Also, humans may not be able to be able to keep up with the celestial bureaucracy, though that's very much open to ST interpretation. There is at least one mortal lover of Venus that she turned into a god to keep as a secretary, though.
>>
>>46209474
Under what circumstances would she remember him?
>>
>>46209448
>>46209513

Repeated exposure can eventually allow someone to maintain vague familiarity with a specific Sidereal (mechanically, so long as the Sid isn't high essence, eventually they'll get lucky enough to pass the Arcane Fate check even with average stats), represented by the Acquaintances background.
>>
I'm finally getting to play in a 3e game! Right now, my concept is a mortal Kung Fu master who embarks on one last great quest, fully expecting to kick the bucket, only to exalt as a Dawn Caste and realize that his life has really only just begun. I'm envisioning him as a weird hybrid of Master Roshi and Scrooge McDuck, focusing on the classic animal styles for his MA Charms.
>>
>>46209570
Okay. What if the child was fathered by the Sidereal before he exalted? What if he and the Siddychild's mom were together for like twelve years?
>>
>>46209513

Creatures that are outside fate, such as demons, ghosts, or certain Exalts, are immune to the effects of Arcane Fate. IIRC, gods are also immune to it. Are you okay with your child being X-blooded?
>>
>>46209635

What MA style? Is there any more to your character concept?
>>
>>46209707
Alright, let's say that the boy's mom is a dragonblooded. An outcaste. Would she remember him?
>>
>>46209679
>Okay. What if the child was fathered by the Sidereal before he exalted?
AFAIK Arcane Fate applies to everything about the Sid, including their pre-Exaltation life.

>What if he and the Siddychild's mom were together for like twelve years?
Might do it, eventually. It'd be rough.
>>
>>46209769

She has better odds than a normal woman, but mostly because she has bigger dice for rolling to remember.
>>
>>46209741
Still feeling a lot out, but the idea behind him is that he feels that his youth was squandered, and by time he wisened up, he was already past his prime. So, when he Exalts, it really feels like a second chance to him.

Style wise, I initially thought of going Snake & Crane, though part of me is tempted to just go Brawl.
>>
>>46209812
Is it ever specified in the 3e book what's the difficulty of that roll?
>>
>>46209769

Unlikely. While DBs are inside fate and subject to Arcane Fate, there are an number of them that have been inducted into the conspiracy of "Sidereals exists and secretly run the Realm." It stands to reason that not only would the mother remember him, but depending on the fathers job, he may have time to see his family regularly.

An example of a DB who seems to spend quite some time in Yu-Shan is Ragara Myrrun, who has a write up on page 90 of 2e's Scroll of Exalts.
>>
>>46209842
>>46209891

It doesn't have any mechanics in 3e yet, no.
>>
>>46209839
Bear in mind that while Snake and Crane have many useful combinations, they have no defensive synergy. Snake gives you bonuses to dodge, while Crane is heavily focussed on parry.
>>
So what does everybody think of the idea of only Solars (and maybe Abyssals?) getting Supernal abilities? What's everyone else getting in return? Warforms, Astrology, and Shintais seem like a fair tradeoff, but what might the DBs get?
>>
>>46212827
>So what does everybody think of the idea of only Solars (and maybe Abyssals?) getting Supernal abilities?
I understand it from a setting position, and I wouldn't want it to be a general rule for everybody (not the least of which because everyone's castes are completely different, so some of Supernal's logic goes out).

That said I'm really attached to the idea of there being (almost) no such thing as "endgame powers" in Exalted, because frankly "endgame" just means "you'll never get to use this, except in the rare campaign that starts at 200XP because it's a powerwank."

So while I'm fine with only Solarbyssals getting Supernals in the rules, I'll be engineering versions that work for me and my table back into the game.

>What's everyone else getting in return? Warforms, Astrology, and Shintais seem like a fair tradeoff, but what might the DBs get?
They made rumblings to the effect of heirlooms mattering a lot for DBs, so I wouldn't be surprised if they can cheat Evocation requirements, but that's kinda narrow if it's all they get. I hope Sworn Brotherhood rules still exist and that they're a lot beefier. If they execute well on the cooperation theme, then between that, heirlooms, and Sworn Brotherhoods, I'd say DBs have plenty.
>>
>>46211136
Hm, thanks for letting me know. Would a character not benefit from raising both, then?
>>
>>46212827
I expect Lunars to get something vaguely similar to Supernals based more on Attributes. Exceedingly high natural capability is as much their thing as overwhelming excellence in a particular field is a Solar thing.
>>
>>46212958

There's SOME benefit to having both Parry and Dodge to rely on, but not an enormous amount; un-[x]able attacks are rarer in 3e, but they do exist, and they tend to be nasty attacks to begin with.
>>
>>46212827
>What's everyone else getting in return?
>what might the DBs get?

Too early to speculate, but here's my random guess: Specialties. Their Excellency is tied to them, so perhaps other Charms are too, e.g., "If you have a Specialty that is applicable to the roll created by this Simple Charm, add [Ess] non-Charm dice to the roll," or "If you have a Specialty that is applicable to the roll modified by this Supplemental Charm, gain double-9s on the roll."

So you end up with DBs that, in their very narrow range of super-competence, can go toe-to-toe with a Celestial or accomplish equal feats - and then outside it they fall apart.
>>
>>46212827
Why must there be a trade-off?
>>46212958
Having a decent dodge and parry is beneficial, but you can't use both against the same attack.
>>
>>46213048
Okay, thanks. I might still go that route, since I wanted this guy to be really strong defensively, so investing in both might not be so bad.
>>
>>46213111

Because incomperable excellence is a Solars thing. If everyone else gets their best toys right out of the gate plus whatever other shit, thats not fitting the setting very well.
>>
>>46213111
Supernals are only really in-theme for Solars (possibly Abyssals), and it'd honestly be boring if every splat got them instead of having their own thing.
>>
>>46213103
Which meshes somewhat with the Sworn Brotherhood thing, relying on each other not just in abilities, but in range of specialty coverage.
>>
>>46212827
>what might the DBs get?
Nothing. DB have to earn their power the hard way, through cleverness, prowess, and treachery.
>>
File: chelsea-sun-yang.jpg (566KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
chelsea-sun-yang.jpg
566KB, 1920x2560px
>>46213115
>I wanted this guy to be really strong defensively

You probably want Snake Style, Dodge, and a little bit of Resistance (mostly Ox-Bodies, Body-Mending Meditation), OR Crane Style and Resistance.

Snake stacks with Dodge to create a powerful Evasion-based defense; Snake's soak bonuses stack with extra HL or other Resistance benefits to stop whatever attacks Evasion can't.

Crane Style on the other hand uses Parry, which builds off your Crane Style and nothing else, and is pretty limited in what you do for yourself (although it's great for your ward). So a Crane Stylist is gonna get hit, often, and needs some beefy Resistance Charms to shrug it off.
>>
What happens when someone contracts a poison out of combat, but the duration and interval is rounds, and the damage is initiative before becoming bashing or lethal in crash?
>>
>>46216802

...That is actually a good question.

I'd make a special "Join battle" roll of STA+RES (or just normal) with how much 'initiative' you have before real damage starts. A round being about six seconds or so.
>>
>>46218489
And that would replace the usual sta+res save deducted from the duration at the start?
It's an interesting solution, anyone know about answers the devs might've intended?
>>
>>46218489
Nah, I think it makes more sense to convert it into longer duration/interval bashing or lethal damage.
These poisons aren't meant to briefly make you feel ill and then you recover within a minute.
>>
File: 100% nuclear.jpg (48KB, 601x469px) Image search: [Google]
100% nuclear.jpg
48KB, 601x469px
>tfw you have found Exalted 3E game after so long but your application gets rejected
Hold me
>>
>>46213048

Also, disengage is a dodge thing. So, if you want to play a swordsman who can get out of combat, you probably want Melee + Dodge.
>>
Do poison durations reset with a new dose or does it stack?
Like on round 1 getting a dose lasts 10 rounds, the on round 4 getting another dose lasting 10 rounds.
So do they have 17 rounds or 10 rounds left when they get the 2nd dose?
>>
>>46219644
Can we see your application?
Maybe we could help you.
>>
>>46219644
>>46219935
Seconding. Where were you applying anyways, roll20?
>>
File: 1441844525213.jpg (2MB, 3656x4372px) Image search: [Google]
1441844525213.jpg
2MB, 3656x4372px
>>
>>46219859
Oh yeah, and I was wondering about this too.
If I poured 2 doses of poison into a drink, and they finish it, does that affect them differently than 1 dose?
Do I have to pour 1 dose in their drink, wait until they've contracted it, and then slip them another?
>>
>>46220965
They roll against the poisons separately and the duration stacks.
>>
>>46220982
Can I give them more than 1 dose with 1 incident of them ingesting it?
Stacks like how?
That's what this question was about >>46219859
>>
>>46221015
>Can I give them more than 1 dose with 1 incident of them ingesting it?

Up to the ST. I'd say yes, but drop the difficulty of the Awareness roll to notice, as the poison's taste becomes more prominent.

>Stacks like how?

Stacks like added together.
>>
>>46221512
Thanks, so if I load up enough poison into them without them being able to stop it, it'll last for a long time and I can just leave and be done with it?
>>
>>46214500
Alright thanks. Are there any other MA styles that sync up well with Snake Style?

For that matter, if I decided to just focus on Brawl, what would be the best method of defending myself?
>>
>>46208157
Hey guys, you pretty much talk only about the mecahnics anyway, so here's what I need help with. I'm gonna be building a Dawn Caste Solar for an upcoming game of 3rd edition. I already know that I'll be dabbling into Sorcery because of reasons(TM) and I'm gonna be taking that initiation that deals with having a pact with a Fire Spirit and I'm gonna be taking the merit that allows you to firebend along with it.

So knowing that, here's the question: do I take Martial Arts (possibly as a Supernal) or do I take Melee? And if I do take Martial Arts, which style or styles should I take? Is there even a point in taking multiple styles, because I have a surprisingly large amount of left-over points with which I don't know what to do. Keep in mind I won't be able to put all of my charms into my Supernal ability, I need some Spells as well as a few Occult Charms and if I'm not mistaken, the Styles start of weak but become insane later while Melee is very solid early and caps faster but gets outclassed by a master of multiple styles later in the game. This campaign will go for a while so I've got no problem making far-reaching plans for development (and I have more than multiple venues for it).

So what would you do TG?
>>
>>46221743
Snake and Tiger are pretty brutal, but I've never tested it myself. If you're going into Brawl then you'll either want Dodge, or you'll want Brawl's onslaught negator plus Resistance.
>>
>>46221744
Other people can suggest your combat stuff, but I was wondering what other things your dawn is good at, or some more character info?
>>
>>46221771
So Resistance will be a thing either way. Thanks.
>>
>>46221744
If you take Righteous Devil style, you can flame-vision as a form weapon.
>>
Is it feasible to make a social character who dumps Manipulation and functions solely with Charisma & Presence? Or do you NEED Manipulation & Socialize to accomplish anything?
>>
>>46221785
Without going into too much detail: the character is the last living member of a noble family that got all but completey wiped out following an act of treason and he's an incarnation, both in spirit and power of an ancient warlord who in his time formed a pact with the most powerful of Garda Birds, that would be passed down for generations. I wanted the character to be very oedipean in that he was prophesized to be a tyrant and a ruthless warrior and his family made sure that the prophecy would come to be, so the central conflict for the character is all about a person reacting to their destiny and everyone around them doing all they can to enfore that destiny. It's cliche, but it works.

So when I got to put that into dots I knew I wanted stuff that would fit a warrior so obvious stuff like Dodge, Athletics, Awereness. I took Presence and Socialize because hey, that's useful (although notably I'm planning of going appearance 5, Manipulation and Charisma 1, because it just makes perfect sense for this character to be slightly antisocial and in the process of working out the issues of his upbringing). Obviously Occult and Lore, because Occult and Lore.

Thaaaat's about it.

>>46221871
Unfortunately Rightous Devil doesn't mech aestheticly with the character. It's supposed to be a Style for a rightous vigilantee who roams the land in search of criminals and is trying to root out injustice everywhere. That is very much not a character I'm envisioning, I like to keep Styles aestheticly as they are intended to be. Of course it makes total sense for the character to be mystical and withdrawn, which is why Snake Style, Tiger Style, or Single Point style fit, Rightous Devil not so much.

Plus honestly, I like to diversify my playstyle. Doubling down on a tactic is effective yes, but being a guy who can talk you down, threaten you, punch you, burn you, OR if all else fails, cut you, is what I like to do.
>>
>>46221567

Sure, as long as they're not tough enough to make the resistance roll, and don't have a person with sufficient medicine to treat them before they die.

I mean, that generally was the point of poisoning someone. It wouldn't have been as popular as it was if people got better.
>>
>>46221965
Manipulation no, you don't need more than 2 or 3, but socialize you really, really want. It's just too good on it's own and having high Guile is important if you want to be a shrewed negotiator. That's not to say you won't be able to get far on Excellency alone, but sooner or later you'll want to grab some socialize Charms. But you should be absolutely fine if your Guile is 4-5 and socialize is your caste/fevoured.
>>
>>46222038
Gotcha.
>>
>>46221965

It's perfectly feasible, but it's going to dictate the sort of social character you are.

Everyone's going to know all about you and what you're intending to do (low Guile), so you won't be able to be a tricky, deceptive socializer. You also won't be good at figuring out what other people are up to.

You'll be good at making people do what you want, but you'll be very bad at being subtle about it. You'll be bad at finding out what people care about, but good at making them care about the things you want them to.
>>
>>46221991
I forgot about War, I got some War. Not planning on taking charms for it for the longest time, but it's one of the things the character is good at I suppose.
>>
>>46222136
Okay, that's exactly what I wanted to do. Thanks.
>>
I keep reading over Single Point Style, and I'm having difficulty figuring out just what makes it worth taking over Melee? What am I missing?
>>
>>46222473

1) An additional combatant who is a clone of you, in a game where number advantage is huge, is not to be trifled with. Even without the Mastery benefit, being able to make a decisive attack without making yourself vulnerable is massive.
2) Fatal Stroke Flash turns basically any decisive attack against a crashed opponent into a blowout if it lands.

There's some other miscellaneous benefits, like being able to deal with environmental hazards without dipping into another ability, etc.
>>
>>46222473
>>46222690
Addendum: Also, just, in general, the style hits like a truck. It's Brawl-level offense, but with the exact opposite weakness Brawl has (Shining Point *wants* to be outnumbered).
>>
>>46222690
>>46222736
Well, guess I'm just oblivious. Thanks.
>>
>>46222845
You still want Melee for defense, though, since Single Point doesn't really do defense.
>>
>>46212827
I doubt it. I suspect that everyone is going to get something like supernals though not for balance reasons, for theme reasons. Exalted is supposed to be a game where you play powerful demigods. It stands to reason they should powerful from the start not 'you start off crap but get strong after long enough'. With essence starting at one for sure and not being able to raise it with XP characters need some method of being really powerful right out of the gate, and thats what supernals are for
>>
>>46221771

I thought about Tiger and Snake, but isn't that a case when two MA's really need forms to shine really well?
>>
>>46223337
>I suspect that everyone is going to get something like supernals though not for balance reasons, for theme reasons.

This. We might need to stop thinking of "Supernal" and just starting thinking "Supernal-like". So DBs might be considered to be Ess+2 for the purpose of buying charms of their Elemental aspect, for a quick-and-dirty example.
>>
>>46223337
That sounds like a good reason for making even Essence 1 Charms powerful from the perspective of most of the setting.
>>
Guys, is it possible to do single point style without taking any initiative boosting charms save for an awareness excellency or should I just stick to melee?
>>
>>46223606

You can actually.

As a person who played a Single Point Supernal before, you really REALLY want to go first. Not because of the first turn advantage, but because your form reflexively triggers. Single Point relies on basically overwhelming offense (Even if you cannot kill on the first shot, Liquid Steel Flow makes your attacks amazing). If the opponent gains the upper hand from you on the start of going first AND getting a boatload of initiative, then its going to be tricky. Possible but tricky.
>>
>>46223745
Hm, ok, not my playstyle at all then, thanks
>>
>>46223436
They're basically the two styles that need their form the least. You can use Snake Style when you have the initiative advantage and then reflexively switch to Tiger form when you land a decisive to benefit from the bonus to withering attacks so you're at a disadvantage only briefly.

Crane and Ebon Shadow also don't need their forms if you have other styles to use for the bulk of your fighting. White Reaper, Single Point and Steel Devil are examples of styles that almost don't function without having the form up.
>>
>>46224449

Not that guy, but how well to Tiger and White Reaper go together? Is there any compatibility beyond Falling Scythe Flash?
>>
Probably a stupid question, but should a Dawn who goes Single Point go MA Supernal, or Melee Supernal?
>>
>>46224578

MA. Single Point is only 9 charms, and is enough to carry you through most battles. Half the Melee charms you'll want are E1 anyway.
>>
>>46224551
Tiger and White Reaper aren't great because of charm synergies, they're great because A) It rewards you massively for having 5 in strength and B) you get to use one style against individual enemies and the other for massed enemies, they cover each other's gaps very well.
>>46224578
Single Point. Melee is pleasantly front-loaded and you don't need to start with Heavenly Guardian Defense.
>>
File: APatroklos.jpg (258KB, 999x1625px) Image search: [Google]
APatroklos.jpg
258KB, 999x1625px
>>46224578

Melee. Go balls deep into it and come out with a solid offense and defense.
>>
>>46224605
>>46224637
That's what I thought, but I'm a total newbie and wanted to double-check. Thanks.
>>
>>46224713
That's good advice to someone playing a Melee character.
>>
>>46224713
I was tempted to ignore MA entirely and focus on just Melee, but I really think the style fits my concept a bit better, since I wanted to be more Zen and less just a straight weaponmaster.

Thanks for the response, though.
>>
Is there any point in taking dots in Survival without making it a Caste/Favoured and without planning on taking Charms for ir?
>>
>>46208157
>People still shit on systems they know nothing about Edition.
I guess you're right since all we have is the "pre-final almost edited totally going to eventually reach print we swear" version of the game.

No one can possibly be right about how badly the game is designed!
>>
File: tumblr_o0plklpPZF1tv2iddo10_1280.png (242KB, 1280x711px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o0plklpPZF1tv2iddo10_1280.png
242KB, 1280x711px
>Exalted general
>no /exg/ in title
>>
>>46225183
If you don't have an alternative for finding food / fending off beasties out in the wilds/bordermarches, then sure. Since you're capped at 3 for skills out of your starting dots, there'sll be some skills you stick dots in that aren't caste/favored just because you have them to spare. You could do worse than survival
>>
>>46225183

Yes.

Survival in the wild

Tracking
>>
>>46225183
It depends on whether you intend to use Survival and/or whether it fits your character's background, anon. I mean, of you want to navigate in the wilds or find food and shelter there but don't need supernatural prowess in these things, then sure, there is a point in taking dots in Survival without making it a Caste/Favoured and without planning on taking Charms for it.
>>
>>46225183
If you want food and shelter, I'd say so. Of course, if you're in a city the whole time or your ST just timeskips travel completely then don't bother.
>>46225194
We've had a list of the changes, the game's out in a month. Feel free to quote me on that.
>>
>>46225183

Depends on how much your ST cares about having you all arrive at your destination (or not even that much; it's just as likely you'll end up in fuck nowhere) starving, freezing, and riddled with diseases because none of you could figure the good berries from the bad ones.

Some STs don't care very much. Some care a lot.
>>
>>46212827
>what might the DBs get?
Synergy?
It's their thing isn't it?
Working together, that is.
>>
>>46225194
>No one can possibly be right about how badly the game is designed!
Especially not the people who think it's badly designed. I mean, it's not an amazing masterpiece, but it's a solid, playable, fun game that does what it's supposed to do.
>>
>>46222736
>Shining Point *wants* to be outnumbered
I thought that was White Reaper?
>>
>>46225345
White Reaper relies on it, but Single Point can flip an onslaught penalty around. It fucks up Brawlers pretty bad, if they haven't bought their onslaught negator.
>>
>>46216802
i think you should convert the rounds into a time and skip straight to health damage, does hours seem right?
>>
>>46225245
>riddled with diseases

Exalted generally don't have that happen unless it's some potent magical bullshit disease.
>>
>>46225831
Exalts can catch diseases like anyone else. They just won't die of them unless they're magical bullshit diseases.
>>
>>46225460
Wouldn't seconds or minutes make more sense for a fast poison converted from rounds?
>>
>>46225864
I thought even magical bullshit diseases couldn't progress past defining for Exalted.

I like the idea of a new exalt starting play with the Puppeteer's Plague after Thorns-related traumatic backstory and staying away from civilization until he encounters another PC. (Doubles as an excuse for a Medicine-proficient Twilight to get some spotlight time.) That doesn't work if the disease can still kill him.
>>
>>46227184
Minutes, maybe. Seconds seem like too fast to me.
>>
>>46227282
Huh, I think you're mostly right. What the book says is that "The gift of Exaltation makes the Chosen immune to the worst perils of disease—they suffer no risk of death from any sickness, save perhaps from extremely potent magical diseases." I'd got it in my mind that the last part, "save perhaps from extremely potent magical diseases", meant that magical diseases could kill the Exalted just by the virtue of being magical. Re-reading that part I guess the intention is that some rare magical diseases that specifically state they can kill even the Exalted can kill the Exalted.
>>
>>46221965
>Is it feasible to make a social character who dumps Manipulation and functions solely with Charisma & Presence? Or do you NEED Manipulation & Socialize to accomplish anything?
You need to know people's intimacies so you can target them. This is most easily done by using Read Intentions actions. You don't have to do it personally, so this is a great way to get PCs to work together. Investigation and subterfuge is also a great way to get more information.
>>
>>46227411
Alternatively you could just assume that everyone has an intimacy of Awe (your glorious self) or something similar and target that. With the right stats that should lead to both general success and some interesting failures.

There's no rule against guessing or assuming intimacies instead of actually discovering them, is there?
>>
>>46227888
>Alternatively you could just assume that everyone has an intimacy of Awe (your glorious self) or something similar and target that.
No you can't. That's a Read Intentions roll. Guessing intimacies is a literal charm effect under Motive Discerning Technique. Why do people keep repeating this?
>>
>>46227888

There isn't, no, just the risk that your entire social influence will whiff because you assumed e.g. a guy hated his brother when that isn't the case.
>>
>>46228039

"Guessing" Intimacies and receiving confirmation of that is a Charm, learning them is a Read Intentions roll.

There's no rule against pleading with someone based on an Intimacy you assume or think they have, because that's categorically worse than either of the above for many, many reasons.

The system is not so fucking retarded as to say "nuh uh you have to beat his Guile to see that this bible-thumping monk has an Intimacy of piety before you can make a social influence predicated on that piety."

It just also doesn't give you any compensation when that guess turns out to be tragically wrong.
>>
>>46228039
>Guessing intimacies is a literal charm effect under Motive Discerning Technique
No, guessing Intimacies and having the ST confirm your guess if you're right is an effect under Motive Discerning Technique. That is a very different thing from, say, trying to appeal to someone's honor or patriotism or love for his family without being quite sure of whether that someone is honorable, a patriot or attached to his family.
>>
>>46228106
>There's no rule against
>flying
>poisoning people with a funny look
>extending penises
>>
>>46228106
>>46228163
Your houserules are fine guys, whatever works at your table, but you're not talking about Rules As Written.
>>
>>46228176
Yes, anon, things that make sense and are possible for regular real world people certainly are fully comparable to things that don't make sense and aren't possible for regular real world people.
>>
>>46228209
You've not seen my penis.
>>
>>46228237
Ok, I actually kekd hard at that.
>>
>>46228199
>>46228176

If it was impossible to make social influences predicated on Intimacies based on a guess, then this rule:
>Unacceptable influence includes:
>Any instill action to strengthen or weaken an Intimacy which doesn’t exploit an appropriately strong Intimacy to do so.
>Any persuasion attempt which doesn’t exploit an Intimacy strong enough to support the proposed task.
wouldn't exist.

And no, "unacceptable influence" does not mean "you don't get to try," it means "the influenced person gets to reject it for free," meaning you still by definition get to try.
>>
>>46228270
You're going to have to explain to me how you think that supports your argument.
>>
File: Poisons.png (141KB, 902x197px) Image search: [Google]
Poisons.png
141KB, 902x197px
>>46222026
I get that's how it's supposed to work, but the poison stats they have in the book don't work out like that.
Arrow Frog Venom: if we're being generous with the thread's suggestions and say 3L/minute lasting for 5 minutes, damage or ingestion, we'll be using ingestion.
A mortal could knock that down to 3 minutes only having to roll a 2, taking about 4.5L damage over those 3 minutes, this would require 2 doses to kill anyone, which makes it easier to detect in the first place.

Arsenic: 2L/day for 7 days, ingestion only.
The classic poison, mortals could take it down to 4days without much hassle, averaging 4L, this would also require a second dose to kill, making it easier to detect.
You could deliver 1 dose then wait for the other later, but after they start feeling ill they might suspect poison and make it difficult. Either way, a second dose would cause this to last between 8 and 14 days, giving way too much time for them to find a doctor to treat it.

Hemlock: 2L/hour for 5 hours, ingestion only.
Again, mortal 3h, 3L damage total, this one needs 3 doses making it a lot easier to detect.

The other poisons are damage only, starting a fight to kill them sorta defeats the point of poisonous assassination.
This isn't even considering an exalt having a much easier time ignoring the duration if they roll well.
>>
>>46228270
Aside from that, it would also be kind of nonsensical. It would mean that you can't, say, ask someone for a date without already knowing for a fact that they're into you. You couldn't sell anything to anyone without being certain beforehand that they want that thing. A speech, a sermon or a public appeal of any kind could never persuade anyone to do anything, because no one can Read Intentions of everyone hearing or seeing something like that. Like, campaigning for an election, trying to convincing people to vote for you, would be futile because you could only persuade people who you interact with personally and whose values and beliefs you successfully discover.
>>
>>46228328

If read intentions or other "confirmation" of an existing Intimacy was necessary to even TRY to persuade someone, then those rules would never come up. It would be impossible to try to persuade someone without a relevant Intimacy, because you'd have to already know a relevant Intimacy exists.

Instead, we have "persuading someone when a relevant Intimacy doesn't exist is unacceptable influence," meaning by definition it's possible to try to persuade someone even if a relevant Intimacy doesn't exist. (Because you try, and then they reject it for free for 0 willpower even if you get past their Resolve.)

And if THAT'S possible, then there's nothing stopping you from persuading someone based on an Intimacy you don't have mechanical confirmation exists, you just don't know ahead of time whether it will be unacceptable influence for them or not.
>>
How much real world naming schemes do you use in Exalted? Would it make sense for a kingdom to have French-y name, and the two neighboring ones based in germany?
>>
>>46228328
The social combat system only needs the target to have such an intimacy, if they don't, you can still try to appeal to something they don't care about, and they get to reject it freely.
That means you can make a guess and fail, which means you could make a guess and be right, the intimacy system doesn't need you to be certain because you made a read intentions roll.
>>
>>46228398
It would make sense but would probably affect the way the players see the setting and the campaign in ways that aren't necessarily entirely positive. Western names tend to bring Western settings and Western fantasy for a mind, and that will probably color the actions and characters of your players. If that's the kind of feel you're going for, I see nothing particularly wrong with such a naming scheme.
>>
File: orichalcum chainmail.jpg (54KB, 473x600px) Image search: [Google]
orichalcum chainmail.jpg
54KB, 473x600px
>>
>>46228039
>Guessing intimacies is a literal charm effect under Motive Discerning Technique.
And imagining a palace falls under Mind Manse Meditation. This is why my DnD GM doesn't use feats; he doesn't like the idea of a trait dictating whether or not a character knows how to swing hard and inaccurately, to pick one overly prescriptive example.

A pimp can see a sailor in a foreign port and try to sell him on a prostitute that looks like the girls he left at home. In Exalted game terms, he's guessing that the guy in the navy uniform has a positive intimacy toward his homeland. He could be wrong in a hundred ways. Nothing supernatural is required for that to be a valid strategy to attempt.

As >>46228163 says, the charm means the GM tells you if you're right or not, before you make your attempt. The Exalted pimp need not idly speculate about his customers, for he can read your fetishes in the turn of your stride and the parting of your hair.
>>
>>46228535
swag as fuck

Clearly he exalted during a pimpin' contest
>>
>>46228387
Those rules would come up straight away if you tried to convince someone to push someone off a cliff with a minor intimacy.
>>
>>46228176
>flying
Wings merit, Athletics charms, Mounts
>poisoning people with a funny look
Poisons have listed vectors (maybe if a presence charm caused damage, but no poison to apply)
>extending penises
Sorcerous working
>>
File: creation labled map.jpg (2MB, 3840x2303px) Image search: [Google]
creation labled map.jpg
2MB, 3840x2303px
Here is a map for you.
>>
>>46228577
It's a pretty outdated map.
>>46228564
That's the same logic that has guessing intimacies under MDT.
>>
>>46228610
Guessing and being told if you're right.
>>
>>46228559

Only because you're allowed to make social influences predicated on Intimacies you're not sure exist in the first place.

To use an explicit example:

"I plead with the monk to spare my life based on his pacifistic beliefs." "He doesn't have any. He rejects your plea for 0 willpower and kills you." <- a situation the rules explicitly say can happen, because that's how unacceptable influence works, and that would be impossible if the rules worked like mister "nuh uh you have to make Read Intentions" clams they do.

THEREFORE,

"I plead with the monk to spare my life based on his pacifistic beliefs." "You overcome his resolve, and he lowers his weapon." is also a valid outcome for that event, because if he actually DOES have such an intimacy, then it's no longer unacceptable influence.
>>
>>46228398
The primary influences are sword and sorcery, which makes up its own names, and wuxia, which uses exclusively Asian names, so yeah, I'd be a bit weirded out by walking into an Exalted kingdom run by "le Roi du Soleil", Comte Du Furchard, Marquis de l'Angoyne, and le Chevalier du Hon Hon Hon.
>>
>>46228640
>a situation the rules explicitly say can happen
You mean implicitly. because it doesn't say that at all. It refers to insufficiently strong intimacies explicitly, it doesn't mention non-existent intimacies at all.
>>
>>46228709

It covers both, actually.
>Any persuasion attempt which doesn’t exploit an Intimacy strong enough to support the proposed task.
because that's a binary state.

"there's a relevant Intimacy but it isn't strong enough" and "there are no relevant Intimacies at all" would both meet that condition.
>>
>>46228652
>Le Chevalier du Hon Hon Hon
Figured out what to name my next Eclipse.
>>
I'm making a few charms for a fae-blooded trader (/smuggler), but it seems like we have basically no basic to go on for what power-level they should have. Do you think the following charm is roughly on the level expected of fae-blooded?

Innocent trader’s glamour (10m): The fae-blood assumes the guise of an innocent, upstanding traveler to let him slip past toll collectors and overzealous guards searching for contrabands or smuggled goods. He rolls (Manip or Wits + Socialise) with Essence autosux, benefiting from bonus appearance dice if applicable. If he beats the Resolve of the official barring his way, they are compelled by a minor positive tie of (upstanding traveler with nothing to hide) to let them pass unmolested, overlook irregularities in paperwork, not search for smuggling hideouts or otherwise not impede him. They will not break direct orders or risk their position, but are willing to bend the rules, perform only superficial inspections and so on, as they are convinced that there is nothing to find. Affected characters may notice this effect by beating the Fae-blooded’s Manipulation with Awareness+Presence.

Is the auto-sux from Essence too much? He's just Essence 1 anyway
>>
>>46228767
It implicitly covers one and explicitly covers another. Since the book is written with 'natural language' we can have these stupid discussions.
>>
>>46228833

No, it explicitly covers every state except "exploits an Intimacy which is strong enough." That is the only setup where a social influence isn't unacceptable. Every other possible set up fails the test, whether it's "doesn't exploit an Intimacy at all," "exploits an Intimacy that's too weak," "exploits an Intimacy possessed by a guy standing next to your target," "exploits an Intimacy infused into the moon," etc.

It doesn't matter WHY it's not that, or in what way, just that it isn't, and therefore is now unacceptable influence.
>>
>>46228773
Is that Charm really that different from what you could achieve through normal social influence? What's the duration of the Charm supposed to be? Committing what's probably the entire mote pool of an Essence 1 Fae-Blooded to get one extra success on rolls you could make even without that Charm sounds...okay, actually it sounds fine. When I started typing this I thought it as too weak, but on second thought it might be about right for someone who's suppose to be weaker than an Essence 1 Dragon-Blooded while still having an edge over regular mortals.
>>
>>46228892
I think we may disagree about the definition of the word 'explicit'.
>>
>>46228903
In that case, you'd have to first create the minor intimacy (which they can easily resist with wp without a decision point), and then persuade them.
With the charm, they actually need a decision point to spend wp against it, and he gets to use his Wits+Socialise on the roll. Also, I guess your instil could just fail because you're lacking evidence for being an upstanding trader with nothing to hide.

And what's a fae-blooded really going to do with his motepool beside that? It's not like they have excellencies.
>>
Is there anything like Exalted in a modern setting?
>>
>>46229636
Well there's Exalted Modern, if you mean something like that
>>
>>46229636

Shards of the Exalted Dream had a setting + some ruleshacks for playing in a modern-ish setting.

Scion 2e when it comes out will be more rooted in a modern setting, and isn't too far off from Exalted's playstyle.

I'm sure there's a half-dozen smaller RPGs that hit more generally in the "high-powered urban fantasy" zone like Part-Time Gods, but I hesitate to call those "Exalted," really.
>>
>>46229636

Shards of the Exalted Dream had a Hack for running Exalted in one. It mixed things up quite a bit, though, with Infernals being the Illuminati and DBs being Genetically engineered supersoldiers.
>>
How functional is the "Red from Transistor" build in the homebrew link?
>>
Guys I have a quick question. Can I use Summoning the Loyal Steel on a weapoon summed with Blazing Solar Sabre to keep it "at hand" and not having to waste an action to summon it every time or is Blazing Solar Sabre just a pretty bad Charm?
>>
>>46229804
Looks pretty awful DESU.
>>
>>46230341

No, Glorious Solar Saber has a duration of one scene. It's not a bad charm, it costs 5m,1wp to summon where Artefacts cost 5m to attune to. Learning it means that no matter what happens to your character, you'll always have a daiklave that can never be taken away from you.
>>
>>46230554
Summoning the Loyal Steel does the same thing for 1m no WP and you can draw it reflexively instead of wasting an action to do it.
>>
Am i going crazy or did they remove the chat for the costs of regular stuff like houses and servants and clothes in the panoply chapter?
>>
>>46230831
You're assumed to start a combat with a weapon readied anyway.
>>
>>46231701

You're right. The list is present in the leak.
>>
is the guy whpo made the infernals homebrew here?
>>
>>46227411

The high-Presence, low-Socialize Solar's modus operandi isn't figuring out intimacies and exploiting them - it's slapping intimacies onto people, and then exploiting those.

It's very much a brute-force approach instead of the subtle socialize game. Of course, if you can trip them into bed, Celetial Bliss Trick gives you all the intimacy you need, really.
>>
File: 1445457460847.jpg (99KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1445457460847.jpg
99KB, 707x1000px
>>46232927
>Celestial Bliss Trick gives you all the intimacy you need, really.

Sex: the only weapon a social solar needs.
>>
If I take Snake and Tiger Style, do I need Dexterity and Strength at 5? Are there any other styles that work if I want to play a real martial arts master?
>>
>>46233660
>do I need Dexterity and Strength at 5?
You don't /need/ them, in general you don't really need maxed-out stats/dicepools for most things.
>>
>>46233660

There's a break down on MA synergy here.

https://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43477034/#43488899
>>
>>46232372
Sometimes

>>46233019
>Sex: the only weapon a social solar needs.

Eh. A Defining (lust) intimacy toward you for a week or two is very good, but it's only good for accomplishing a short-term goal that's directly related to you. I generally use it as a springboard for pushing more Minor Principles and Ties, then elevating those. I want people to *stay* good, not just be good briefly so they can paint the inside of my throat with jizz.
>>
>>46233844
Forgot my image.

>>46230831
Summoning the Loyal Steel also requires putting Merit dots into a daiklave. Plus it means building Evocations off the daiklave's themes, not your own.
>>
>>46233739
Alright, cheers.
>>46233775
Thanks for the link. From what I see there, it doesn't look there are any three martial arts that work well together. Snake/Tiger works, Tiger/Ebon Shadow and Dreaming Pearl/Black Claw as well as (some) Single Point/Steel Devil.

Surprised Crane apparently doesn't mesh with anything, though that guy seemed over-concerned with form weapons.
>>
Is Pain Tolerance as good as it looks? Is it worth the solar xp post-character creation?
>>
>>46234056

Depends. How many health levels does your character have? Do you want them to both play and feel like unstoppable tanks? Do you plan on stacking it with other penalty lower effects? Do you even TAKE damage?
>>
>>46233930
Crane really benefits from a dip into White Reaper. Revolving Crescent Defense is total bullshit when combined with reflexive defend other actions that give free withering counterattacks.

Crane/Dreaming Pearl combine reasonably well when using unarmed or if enchanted fans count as war fans.
>>
>>46234350
>How many health levels does your character have?
Stamina 5, 3 OX-Bodies.
>Do you want them to both play and feel like unstoppable tanks?
Yes.
>Do you plan on stacking it with other penalty lower effects?
Like what?
>Do you even TAKE damage?
Alas, not so far. I think my ST is going easy on us, but I've not gotten to use Adamant Skin Technique once.
>>
>>46234414
>Stamina 5, 3 OX-Bodies.
I think you'll find it well worth the XP.
>>
>>46208471
Well, Deathlords are SUPPOSED to be unsettling and creepy.
I did have game featuring a Deathknight who just happened to have been exalted at age 12.
Think Arya Stark, except she froze to death on the streets of King's Landing, and was offered a chance to take revenge against Joffrey from beyond the grave.
>>
Does printing press exist in Creation? If not, how would you go on to make one?
>>
>>46235172
>Does printing press exist in Creation?
Not that's had a big canon sign planted over it, no.

>If not, how would you go on to make one?
Well first you'd need to find a place with an alphabet where a printing press is useful. The dominant languages, Realm and Riverspeak, both work like Asiatic languages iirc, which makes them very difficult to build printing presses for.
>>
File: Reading.jpg (83KB, 533x664px) Image search: [Google]
Reading.jpg
83KB, 533x664px
>>46235258
If you just carve the words into a metal plate, you can still print books.

It's newspapers that change that are a bit tricky.

Even then, you can make do with a few thousand words carved into tiny pieces of metal and inserted into a stereotype (?). I.e. the way it's really done before the days of acid etching plates with print for newspapers.

Things still worked fine-ish before computers were invented.
>>
Are firearms even statted somewhere? I'm thinking on running a napoleonic/victorian game set in Creation
what do you think lads?
>>
>>46235996

Ranged weapons with Crossbow and probably the Slow tag. Light for pistols, medium for rifles, heavy for cannon.

Done.
>>
>>46236041
what about the setting? would anything change, or should i keep it as it is?
>>
>>46236071
>what about the setting? would anything change, or should i keep it as it is?

Depends.

If guns are anything approaching available en masse, then warfare would change dramatically, and thus would the face of the setting.

If not, then not really, and there's a million reasons why that would be the case. Like, off the top of my head, the "gunpowder" that makes the guns work is created at a finite, unchanging pace by a device that nobody understands how to work, meaning that while in theory you could build any number of guns, only a handful of them will have a steady supply of ammunition.
>>
>>46236151
>>If guns are anything approaching available en masse, then warfare would change dramatically, and thus would the face of the setting.
This would be it. I'm thinking of it being like mid-late 19th century.
>>
>>46235996

I did stat firearms up, but they're more modern day ones rather than the single shot ones you're looking for I feel.
>>
>>46236294
If they are for 3e, then I'd very much like to ask you for them.
>>
>>46235996

Firearms don't exist in Creation. Thats why firedust weapons exist, and to a smaller extent, essence based cannon weapons.

Closest you might get are cannons, but I don't actually know if cannons were ever even statted in the game, or if they even exist, because I never read any of the books on the West.
>>
>>46236393
Yeah, there are cannons.
>>
>>46236328

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F7KXQ6fKxGSn0b1nyoUerCeg9vWJuYK4dPhHoKD1ouA/edit

This was written back in September, so it may be rough around the edges but should still work.
>>
>>46236452
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F7KXQ6fKxGSn0b1nyoUerCeg9vWJuYK4dPhHoKD1ouA/edit
thank you lad
>>
>>46236452
Also, about your firearms, do they use Archery charms?
>>
>>46236534

They're intended to use Archery charms yes. I could convert Firearms, but that's effort.

A few could be converted from shards, such as that reloading charm I'd reckon.
>>
whats the infernal equivalent to spirit cutting attack in 2.5?
>>
>>46237598

Ephemeral Abrasion Curse and Stone-Flayer Touch, both Cecelyne Charms, allow interaction with immaterial beings while material.
>>
>>46237598
They don't have a straight equivalent, IIRC, due to not being abyssals, but Stone-Flayer Touch (Cecelyne) is the Charm to hit immaterials.
>>
>>46237685
>>46237700
do they have anything actually capable of killing gods?
>>
>>46238060

Several, actually. Radiant Fury Dissolution, Holy Land Infliction, Life-Denying Hate can all kill gods/spirits permanently, in various ways. I think the other two Yozi got their own versions somewhere.
>>
>>46237598
>>46238060
Wasn't there a Green Sun Stabbing charm by Malfeas for that stuff?
>>
>>46238060
GSP are frighteningly good at killing/subverting/raping gods. Make sense. Who rebelled against the Yozis in the first place?
>>
>>46233877
Dude, if you put dots in a Daiklave you candesign a theme for it so how is that theme not "yours"?
>>
>>46240280
Not that guy, but different definitions of "yours"? The player can design the daiklave, but the PC might not have crafted the thing personally. Also, if they haven't, then the GM might object to the player creating an item that works suspiciously perfectly with the PCs abilities (if they're a suspicious type of GM), or might simply prefer to use one of the artifacts out of the book. It's a new system, technically not even out yet.
>>
>>46241132
Why would they be "suspiscious" of anything? If you want to dilute the theme of your own character by incorporating additional themes via artifacts (for example a frist based daiklave on a solar), how is that different than dilluting your theme via sorcery or martial arts?

Like, are STs really holding artifacts as ransom for an argument of "no your artifact cannot resonate with a theme of ligth and rightousness, it has to be different from your theme as a Solar exlated"? Are these same STs banning people who play Solars from taking Golden Janissary style? Are they banning people who took Mara's initiation from taking Black Claw? Are they banning Sid's from taking Sidereal Martial Arts and Dragon Blooded of Fire from taking a weapon that manipulates water?

Where are these STs so I can beat some sense into them.
>>
>>46241681
I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, but since that's more fun than letting the conversation drop...

It's more a question of how it is that all these elements came together in the same person at the same time. Did your character really just happen to find a weapon that works as a perfect counterpoint to his own themes and abilities? Not to mention - you want that to happen as part of your backstory rather than let me work it into play, or even let me use it as a free springboard into an entire questline?

Also, finding an artifact that uniquely and perfectly matches your specific character concept is a lot higher on the coincidence-meter than any of the other examples you mentioned. Ignoring Golden Janissary style, because I don't know what it does...

>>46241681
>Mara's initiation from taking Black Claw
"My character has three dots in Mentor, representing Mara for Martial Arts and Sorcery". That's one rare thing, not two rare things that happen to land on the same guy in all creation.

>>46241681
>Sid's from taking Sidereal Martial Arts
"My character is a Sidereal who had the opportunity to train in a Sidereal Martial Art".
Frankly, it'd be odder if he didn't.

>>46241681
>Dragon Blooded of Fire from taking a weapon that manipulates water
That's actually what I was arguing in favour of. A fire DB might not get a weapon that perfectly matches his assumedly fire-based theme.

Less coincidence is good. It makes for a stronger foundation to build on. Mentor: Mara is a lot easier and more interesting to work with than two unrelated martial arts and sorcery styles.
>>
>>46242145
The point is that a player should have freedom to decide how much concepts or themes they want to incorporate into their character. I'm all in favour of diversity and I like it when I can contrast the rightous, sunny theme of Solars with something else, but if you throw in too many things it becomes inconsistent. Like right now I'm be playing a Dawn who investes heavily into sorcery and I got the ifirt pact initation so I have a secondary strong theme of fire to counterbalance the default theme. But I decided against also taking Martial Arts or Evocations for my artifact blade, because that would just dillute the concept too much, unless and that's the point, there was a style that works well with one of these themes, or I could build an evocation tree that centers around one of the themes. Because if I combined light and rightousness with fire and magic AND with, say, the whole aesthetics of snake style, that would just be too much.

And that is besides the point that there are people who like to double down on a theme and just go aaaaall the way and build, for example, a perfect Dawn relying on multiple combat skills, but staying within the theme and scope of Solar Exalted and they should very well be allowed to, even if they want to spend theis Solar XP on Evocations.
>>
>>46242145
>It's more a question of how it is that all these elements came together in the same person at the same time. Did your character really just happen to find a weapon that works as a perfect counterpoint to his own themes and abilities?

That's not how artifacts work. When the character picks and attunes to the artifact, the artifact will start expressing evocations consisting of the intersection of its themes, and the wielders theme.

It's impossible for an artifact to be out-of-theme with your character, because by definition, the artifact's evocations are drawn from your theme.
>>
>>46242968

Beat me to the post.

The Core, if I'm not mistaken, says that the artifact will resonate with the wielder and produce unique evocations, usable only by that wielder. This anon has it right.
>>
File: male broad hat chinese.jpg (231KB, 1000x884px) Image search: [Google]
male broad hat chinese.jpg
231KB, 1000x884px
>>46243081
>>46242968
Have you guys actually tried that by the way? Or anyone else? Taking a core-book artifact and modifying it to fit your character?
>>
Can Excellencies be used to increase static values?
>>
>>46244570

Yes, it's explicitly stated.

For most excellencies (Solar, Abyssal, etc.) it's +1 per 2 "dice," but Sidereals are an exception.
>>
>>46244597
You mean +1 for 2 motes?
>>
>>46244629

+1 for 2 motes, up to half your normal cap rounded down. In that sense, +1 per 2 "dice" communicates both ways in which spending to increase a static value is different from spending to increase dice.
>>
File: badass dude.jpg (55KB, 511x768px) Image search: [Google]
badass dude.jpg
55KB, 511x768px
>>
File: Less and more.jpg (784KB, 800x1154px) Image search: [Google]
Less and more.jpg
784KB, 800x1154px
>>46243672
Making up your own special snowflake weapon is part of the point of fancy artifact beatsticks.

The other part is killing things with them.
>>
>>46247456
I hope she has a Parry specialty
>>
>>46247465
Maybe.

Or good Resistance Charms.
>>
File: FemaleSuperHeavyPlate5.jpg (325KB, 719x1000px) Image search: [Google]
FemaleSuperHeavyPlate5.jpg
325KB, 719x1000px
>>46247465
>he doesn't recognize superheavy artifact plate when he sees it
>>
>>46247564
One of the worst memes in the Exalted fanbase. Second only to
>Okay Holden
inb4 somebody replies with okay Holden.
>>
>>46247668
ok plague of hats
>>
File: FemaleSuperheavyPlate6.jpg (74KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
FemaleSuperheavyPlate6.jpg
74KB, 600x900px
>>46247668

I had no idea traditional sword and sorcery fantasy tropes were considered "memes" these days, let alone Exalted specific ones.
>>
>>46247695
I don't think bikinis are considered superheavy plate in sword and sorcery. Usually it's light armour for reasons of manoeuvrability or something.
>>
>>46247739
I could never get behind super-heavy plates. Or heavy armour in general. What if you get surprised, or have to move out now?

It just requires so much setup that it never seemed worth it to me.
>>
>>46248005
There's probably a Charm for that.
>>
>>46248017
There's a bunch, but it still takes a couple of turns. Glorious Solar Plate is the fastest.
>>
>>46248057
You might as well Incomperable Body Arsenal.
>>
>>46248057
I could've sworn there was an armor version of Summoning The Loyal Steel?
>>
>>46248099
There is, but you don't don it reflexively, you have to don it normally and it takes buttload of time to don a Super-Heavy Plate. You can use the upgrade to make it faster, but then you're burning through your mote-pool like crazy for absolutely no reason.
>>
>>46248099
Hauberk Summoning Gesture. It lets you keep your armour elsewhere, but doesn't magically put it on. Whirlwind Armour Donning Prana speeds that up to 3 turns in the case of heavy artifact armour.
>>
>>46248158
Muh soaks are always a valid reason.
>>
>>46248191
You can cheat it by using Armoured Scout's Invigoration to drop it's mobility penalty to 0 so that you don it instantly, but you gotta pay 8 motes for that (7 if you count the one you get back fro dropping the commitment to Auberk Summoning).
>>
>>46248230
It's a stupid idea. Even if you do spend motes on it you also have to waste at least a turn donning it and if you're ambushed that's two turns you've lost and if you rely on your soaks, which you probably are if you have armour, you're dead son.
>>
>>46248255
It's mobility penalty plus 1, so a minimum of one turn. ASI confuses me though, because it specifies that the benefit is active while the Solar is wearing the armour which doesn't help with putting it on.
>>
>>46248300
It does help putting it one or the purpos of Whirlwind Armour Donning.
>>
>>46248255
There is no commitment for Hauberk Summoning Gesture. You spend 3m to get rid of it and 3m to get it back.
>>
>>46248319
The flavour text implies it, yeah, but the rules specify that it functions while you're wearing it. I'd rule the same way as you though, to be fair.
>>
>>46248191
I read the "allowing her to don each piece of armor as if she were putting it on normally" bit as meaning it's automatically and instantaneously donned as though you had spent the time to do so, but it actually happens instantly since the charm is a reflexive instant.
>>
>>46248323
You're right. Oh god that is horribly inefficient then. Who thought that was a good idea?
>>
>>46248057
Quite fond of this spell actually. Evocative imagery, though I'd allow to change the appearance of the armor-body for a caster who takes it as control spell. Make it look like Viridian Legend Exoskeleton or covered in multicolored gem-like chitin, as if someone squashed an agata all over you - and weapons, accordingly, being organic and insectoid. It's Sorcery, after all, and doesn't have to adhere to Solar theme.

Invulnerable Skin of Bronze as a control is fine as well.
>>
>>46248005
You're right, a plate bikini makes much more sense.
>>
File: FemaleSuperHeavyPlate4.jpg (2MB, 2480x2896px) Image search: [Google]
FemaleSuperHeavyPlate4.jpg
2MB, 2480x2896px
>>46248470

1st edition designers, back when soak could drop damage down to just 1 die and combats lasted forever as a result of it.
>>
>>46248500
I mean, in game's terms you still need to spend time to don it. Which just makes it double stupid.
>>
>>46248481
I thought you can aboslutely do that with Incomperable Body Arsenal as long as it's obvious that it's a suit of heavy armour.
>>
File: lanterns.jpg (560KB, 595x900px) Image search: [Google]
lanterns.jpg
560KB, 595x900px
>>
>>46208157
Can someone help me understand how Melee and Shining Point work together? I can see there's a restriction on supplementing the same action with Martial Arts and Melee, but I keep seeing people recommend Melee for Parry charms. Can you parry an attack with Melee and then use Gathering Light Concentration, or is that not how it works?
>>
>>46251064

The point is to use Melee on defense and Shining Point on offense.
>>
File: SwordPrincess.jpg (132KB, 658x735px) Image search: [Google]
SwordPrincess.jpg
132KB, 658x735px
>>46251098

At which point you might as well just use Melee exclusively rather than investing into MA atop it, and instead putting those MA points into something that'll actually be useful, like Athletics or Resist or...
>>
>>46251274

Shining Point hits a helluvalot harder than Melee, pound-for-pound, and the investment isn't that significant (and it shrinks rapidly as you plug in more MAs).
>>
>>46251274
>>46251396

Here's an idea. Could you use an artifact weapon with evocations that boost parrying, rather than melee charms? Shining Ice Mirror is part way there already.
>>
>>46251433

Yes. MA is compatible with Evocations, but due to fact that there aren't many and one of a kind, we don't talk about them much.
>>
>>46251274
What he said >>46251396

The strength of melee is flexibility and being able to kill something as a counterattack that gives you initative. It's very defensive in style, which is why it synergises really well with Resistance.

But Shining Point is ludicrously destructive. It hits like a 30 ton truck.
>>
>>46251433

Ehhh, sorta. Evocations aren't really meant to be bread and butter stuff, they're the big explosive candies. It's like if Melee was solely composed of Excellent Strike, Blazing Solar Bolt, and the flurry Charm.
>>
File: Twg7Yng.png (31KB, 855x497px) Image search: [Google]
Twg7Yng.png
31KB, 855x497px
>>46251500
So do you completely ignore the melee charms that grant melee attacks, then? I'm wondering about the counterattack charms. It'd certainly be simpler if you ignore any charm that isn't about defending yourself.
>>
>>46251766
Pretty much. Ignore anything that doesn't enahnce your defences. Maybe take Perfect Strike Discipline because additional 10 dice to attack or +5 to your parry for free once per scene is always good.
>>
>>46251883
I was considering that one, although then you need to drop a charm on Excellent Strike as a dead pre-requisite. And the +10 to an attack isn't for a Shining Point attack, so...

I guess the nice thing about building the non-Supernal parts of your character is that you don't have to make these decisions during character creation.
>>
>>46229636
Hunter: The Reckoning was originally WoD Exalted.
>>
File: AHandsomeGuy.jpg (95KB, 652x1024px) Image search: [Google]
AHandsomeGuy.jpg
95KB, 652x1024px
>>46252143

And we all dodged one helluva bullet when they decided to drop all WoD connectivity.
>>
Can we dump some images? I need to fish for a character pic.
>>
File: 1422304537101.jpg (104KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1422304537101.jpg
104KB, 720x540px
>>
>>46252662
wrong thread?
>>
File: Firebending.webm (890KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Firebending.webm
890KB, 640x640px
>>46252713
nope

Dragonblooded as fuck
>>
File: Koi.png (1MB, 1250x727px) Image search: [Google]
Koi.png
1MB, 1250x727px
>>46252607
>I need to fish for a character pic

Fish you say?
>>
File: Koi2.jpg (152KB, 658x930px) Image search: [Google]
Koi2.jpg
152KB, 658x930px
>>46252792
>>
>>46252792
Well I mean, I'll take fish, I like it when these threads turn into image dumps, there's a lot of cool art that finds its way here.

But what I specifically needed is a young dark skinned asian or indian man, regal looking in fancy clothing, hopefully with a fire motif and/or wielding a sword.

Yeah that's ultra-specific. Which is why I just wanted to spark a dump. Easier to fish then.
>>
File: dancing paw.jpg (40KB, 428x600px) Image search: [Google]
dancing paw.jpg
40KB, 428x600px
>>46252853
>>
File: BandagedMAistNoLogo.png (1MB, 1000x1493px) Image search: [Google]
BandagedMAistNoLogo.png
1MB, 1000x1493px
>>46252815
>>46252853
>>
File: Exalted Fang.jpg (70KB, 554x784px) Image search: [Google]
Exalted Fang.jpg
70KB, 554x784px
>>46252921
>>
File: anime katana young male.jpg (57KB, 736x952px) Image search: [Google]
anime katana young male.jpg
57KB, 736x952px
>>46252959
>>
File: FireAspect2.jpg (468KB, 1600x2400px) Image search: [Google]
FireAspect2.jpg
468KB, 1600x2400px
>>46252949
>>
File: BlueeyedIndianGuy.jpg (253KB, 636x900px) Image search: [Google]
BlueeyedIndianGuy.jpg
253KB, 636x900px
>>46252991
>>
>>46253039
Got any more like this?
>>
File: arab rapier.jpg (99KB, 709x1000px) Image search: [Google]
arab rapier.jpg
99KB, 709x1000px
>>46253154
>>
Is Righteous Soul Judgement the best charm you'll never get to use?
>>
File: DarkSkinLightHair.jpg (169KB, 736x1020px) Image search: [Google]
DarkSkinLightHair.jpg
169KB, 736x1020px
>>46253154

Dunno, I got so much stuff I just scroll through and see what sort of matches.
>>
>>46253039
>>
File: Arabian.jpg (534KB, 700x990px) Image search: [Google]
Arabian.jpg
534KB, 700x990px
>>
File: DaiklaiveHolder.jpg (219KB, 1095x1600px) Image search: [Google]
DaiklaiveHolder.jpg
219KB, 1095x1600px
>>
>>46243672

Nah, I'm not too keen on any of the example artifacts. They don't strike my fancies.

Made my own and posted it a while back. Got some good reception, but it was kind of a dead thread.
>>
>>46243672
>>46253461
While none of the ones in the backer pdf caught my interest much, Heartflame, one of the weapons in the second leak, stole my heart with its imagery and cool evocations.
>>
>>46253628

Heartflame is ridiculous, in my opinion. Reeeaaaally strong.
>>
>>46253696

Care to give a quick breakdown on it?
>>
>>46253795

Yes.
>>
>>46252097
>then you need to drop a charm on Excellent Strike as a dead pre-requisite.
Not if you find yourself in a situation when you can't use Single Point form weapon but still have access to melee weapon. Like a knife or hammer or something.

>Evocations aren't really meant to be bread and butter stuff, they're the big explosive candies.
They can be "bread and butter" meaning you can spam them every turn. But they still should be evocative (no pun intended) and influencing your playstyle. Like, Artifacts shouldn't be just big statsticks. They should change or expand the way you play your character, add options. You pick Volcano Cutter so you can slowly ramp up and eventually unleash pyroclastic inferno on your foes, not because it gives you +2 to damage and accuracy. Or you pick Beloived Adorei so you can cuddle with your sword-waifu and interact with intimacies.
>>
Can an Exigent be a ghost of a first age solar?
>>
>>46254935

No. Only humans can Exalt, and Exigents get their Exaltation from an individual god (not a ghost) to embody that gods themes and act as his champion.
>>
>>46254935

Are you asking if a ghost can become an exigent? Probably not, no. Exigents are still exalts, and exalts are human, for Creation's definition of human.

Are you asking if a ghost could become an exigent's "patron"? By Setting-As-Written no, only gods (not even elementals) can make use of the flame of exigence.

That said everyone and their mother is going to be writing up Akuma as "Exigency But For Demons," so I don't see any real problem with giving ghosts/elementals/etcetera a similar option if you want it for your table.
>>
Has anyone managed to get Anathema running? I don't think what's on Github has been updated in a while.
>>
So one of my big grievances with Exalted was that you can make, out of character creation, two characters with wildly different combat capabilities. To the point where a foe that merely challenges one Exalt will always paste another Exalt. Is this still the case in 3e?
>>
>>46257208

Sort of. You can still build characters of wildly different combat ability (I mean, nothing's forcing you to put any dots into Melee or whatever, after all), but two things changed about the combat engine that make it less of an issue:

1) Swinging for the weakling is a DUMB move. If the Dawn is breathing down your neck, and you blow all your init pasting some nerd Twilight, he's going to shove his foot so far up your colon you'll be able to taste the Neverborn.

2) The threshold for "can contribute to a fight" is dramatically lower. The Twilight who buys Melee 3 and Dipping Swallow Defense (and thus gets his Melee Excellency for free) is basically set; most of the Charms past your Excellency are more efficient options for contributing, not more powerful ones.
>>
>>46257208

Supernals are a thing in Ex3. This allow you to disregard the Essence prerequisite for purchasing charms in one of your caste abilities. That means that the Dawn caste is going to be able to roll over enemies that others might struggle with.
>>
>>46257208
How is that different from literally any other system?
>>
>>46257208
Yes, and that's the system working as intended.
>>
File: ColorfulSamurai.png (1MB, 850x1203px) Image search: [Google]
ColorfulSamurai.png
1MB, 850x1203px
>>46257208

That will always be an issue in any sort of game where everything is point buy (or similar). You just gotta deal with it.

So yes, it's gonna exist in 3E, especially since Supernals are a thing and this means Dawns are literally the only Caste capable of murderfucking everything through their eyeholes right from char-gen.
>>
>>46257208

that's still the case. not everything has to be a fight, y'know. if everyone is explicitly -not- strong, maybe you shouldn't be writing up city-destroying behemoths to fight, but instead set up maybe some fae princes or terrestrials to deal with?

One thing that people don't really understand starting Exalted is that literally just having 3 points in a combat skill with decent physical stats (3-5 dex) and a charm or two in that combat skill makes you proficient enough as a fighter to only be challenged by stuff the resident Dawn would have to go all-out on.

Part of playing Dawn is that thrill that you might actually get -bored- with how nothing can challenge you when you go all-out on things. The caveat is, you really don't want to flash essence, so you're usually gonna be dealing with realmlings with your hands tied behind your back, and you'll STILL do just fine with minimal essence spending....
>>
>>46257396
>>46257408
>>46257459
>>46257468
>>46257563
Thanks for the replies guys. It was one of the bigger deal-breakers in 2e for me and my group so I'm sad it wasn't addressed in 3e as I'm a big fan of the setting. Maybe for 4e if that comes out in my lifetime.
>>
>>46257630

What exactly were you expecting? It would be stupid to mandate e.g. "you must spend a certain amount of points on Dawn skills," and it'd require a massive overhaul to allow any of the 25 abilities to contribute to a fight equally.

Exalted isn't a true-wuxia setting, where everything done with enough skill is kung-fu.
>>
File: Solar Sorcceress.jpg (212KB, 690x1084px) Image search: [Google]
Solar Sorcceress.jpg
212KB, 690x1084px
>>46257630
Whatever you say.
>>
File: AsianKabukiTattoo.jpg (130KB, 638x960px) Image search: [Google]
AsianKabukiTattoo.jpg
130KB, 638x960px
>>46257630

That will happen in literally any sort of "build from the ground up" game Anon. It's how they work. If you want combat parity for everyone, theres always D&D.
>>
>>46257630

>playing a game as a party and not attributing certain scenes or solutions to a party member specializing in those skills so they alone can solve it while the others solve other issues separately

i mean, D&D-styled cooperation is still plenty available out there, man. Exalted explicitly intends for players to be one-man-solvers in literally all cases except Dragonblooded.
Thread posts: 303
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.