[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/srg/ - Shadowrun General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 362
Thread images: 29

File: Horizon Corporate Security.jpg (108KB, 1280x523px) Image search: [Google]
Horizon Corporate Security.jpg
108KB, 1280x523px
Connecting to Shadowlands BBS...
>Verifying Biometrics...
>Identity Verified...
>Opening /srg/...

Books:
http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr

Chummer 5:
https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases/latest
Issue tracker:
https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/issues

Last Thread: >>43715415

Threadly Question: Tell us about your run-ins with corp security. We all know about Knight Errant and the Red Samurai, but maybe some lesser-known groups?
>>
Has anyone made good use of any of the ranged exotic weapons? The dart guns seem to be about the only useful ones.
>>
>>43744130
PhysAd in my last group using shuriken coated with basilisk venom.
>>
>>43744130
Super Squirt Wars, but that's an old story.
>>
So, sneaky bitch orc with a bow.
How would I go about making it work?
>>
>>43743793
We once robbed a Vory bank, run went south and their private security firm showed up, Security Concepts & Protection Ltd. They were just a semi-legit security company that handled Vory public interests, KE fucking hated them so they didn't actually intervene in our massive shootout.

They actually turned into a real nemesis of the team. A private security firm that was avoided by KE and had access to Forbidden equipment. They actually hired us for a job and ambushed us at the meeting which we really didn't see coming, lost our face and almost our decker.
>>
>>43745012
In 4e with great ease and success.
In 5e with some difficulty and little success.
>>
>>43745066
I'm not trying to be Trollbow, break the game in two with my bare hands level powerful. Just, competent, with the ideal of being credit to team.
>>
>>43745099
In 5e bows are flat inferior to fire arms. So I guess you could, but I don't see the point.
>>
>>43745298
Because it's cool?
>>
>>43745341
A lone Knight Errant detective stands over the body of a dead officer. The corpse has a pair of arrows, one through the neck and one through the heart, the double tap.

"Just to be sure he's dead" the detective mutters to himself.

The fletching of the arrows are made from real feathers, the lab boys have taken a sample, but he knows. It's and Eagle's feathers, it's always Eagle feathers. Thunder cracks across the sky, rain begins to fall. He turns his face towards the sky, the rain mixes with the tears of a man who just lost his partner.

"This is the last one, you son of a bitch, the last damned one"
>>
>>43745556
So basically.
Wanted: Knight Errant.
Signature: Eagle feather arrows.
Emotional Attachment: Traditional Japanese Bow (Yumi)
>>
>>43745697
>using Kyudo to kill peoplej
Look, I respect Kyudo. Kyudo is a BEAUTIFUL art. But it's slow as all fuck, due to being more of an art form than a practical "kill shit" form of archery.
>>
What kind of in-house security would Evo have?
>>
>>43745341
see
>>43745736

Also, you know time and place. If you're going to kill assassinate someone then you can do the whole song and dance. Otherwise, go nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igako9Jqd3k&t=5m58s
>>
>>43745828
Anon, I AM >>43745736
I'm just saying that of all the forms of archery, kyudo is INCREDIBLY slow, due to the mechanics of its drawing style and so on. It's got a slow, methodical, almost ritualistic technique.
>>
>>43745899
I figured you were, that's why it was really ironic.

But seriously, you're already using an inferior weapon, does it matter if you're using an inferior technique. Is your GM going to limit your amount of shots to one ever full round because you fluffed your style of archery to be a particularly fancy one? Give me a break.

Plus every single bowman I've ever seen in Shadowrun has been Amerindian neo-Brave or just an operator with a bow. This would be something of a change of pace
>>
File: 1462629-kerriganradio.jpg (298KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1462629-kerriganradio.jpg
298KB, 1920x1080px
So, /srg/ how would one make Sarah in a game?

I would personally think she would need to be a Mysadept, who mostly relies on being a Gunadept, but has some spellcasting ability, relying on infiltration. For example, control thoughts (psionics), invisibility (claoking), silence (for her weapon), Mage Bolt (kinda representing a Psionic Blast), and telekinesis (even more psionics).

But... beyond that, I really don't know how to build her priority. I THINK: A magic (Mysadept 6), B attributes, C skills, D money, and E (human), could work. As an adept, she doesn't need much money, but she will still need some decent supplies.

The question from there is if to go Burnout and get some tech, or to keep her completely uncybered.
>>
>>43746133
>how would one make Sarah
Frosty
>>
>>43746295
This yeah. A poorly written Mary Sue.
>>
>>43746565
>>43746295

I just meant the psionic sniper, not actually making a carbon copy of her.
>>
>>43746565
Poorly written Mary Sues are one of the things Shadowrun does best.
>>
>>43745298
>In 5e bows are flat inferior to fire arms
As they should be
Guns uber alles
Dirty bows please leave
>>
>>43746767

A: Attributes B: Skills C: Magician D: $$$ E: Human

BOD 3
AGI 5
REA 5
STR 3
CHA 3
INT 5
LOG 3
WIL 5
EDG 2
MAG 4

Pick a tradition that uses Intuition + Willpower, like Buddhism. Well, make up a custom one, I guess, but go for that.
Get Biocompatibility (Bioware) or Cyberware, depending on how you want it to go, if you want to get 1 Essence worth of 'ware sometime in the future.

Your skills are Sorcery 6, Sneaking 6, Longarms 6(Sniper) and anything else you want.

Your spells are: Manablade, Clairvoyance, Mind Probe, Increase Attribute(AGI) and Invisibility.
Get some kind of sniper rifle and a chameleon suit.
>>
>>43746133
For a second I thought you meant Sarah from Hardwired and I was excited.
>>
>>43746133
Don't they have Way of the Psionic anymore? That was a thing in older Shadowrun, atleast.
>>
>>43746958

Also: Prototype Transhuman works well here.
Just pick Wanted (Ares) or Alergy(Mild) if you've got no stones.

1 Essence worth of free Bioware is nothing to sneeze at.
>>
>>43747191

Yeah, but bioware is expensive and the current build has very little money in it
>>
>>43747287

Not everything needs to be there from the get-go, chummer.
Everything in the initial post is the bare bones.
Prototype Transhuman fits from a RP perspective and it's not like the character is going to be spending a lot of money on Chrome or Regents.
To be fair, short of drugs, a Nephretic Screen and the Narco Genemod, I can't see how the character can improve without going full caster or losing Magic.
>>
Man, why is Shadowrun 5E's custom drug system so terrible? Like, were they just too lazy to write up something really in-depth?
>>
>>43748460
>Why is Shadowrun 5e's ____ so terrible
Yep

Yep...
>>
>>43747098
5e has it, either street grimoire or shadow spells. one or the other
>>
File: Maryland1_1636.jpg (44KB, 660x660px) Image search: [Google]
Maryland1_1636.jpg
44KB, 660x660px
So...how would MD look in SR? Which, if any, of the Big Ten be interested in it?
>>
>>43748460
God I know, trying to make a narco character can be painful as most combat drugs are garbage and the designer drugs are way worse.
>>
>>43746295
>>43746565
I'm not familiar with this character, how bad could it be?

>Jane Foster, also known in the shadows as "Frosty", is the illegitimate daughter of Ehran the Scribe, and one of the few Immortal Elves born after the Awakening. She is tall and thin with long, snow-white hair that falls down her back. She is elven, although she is human-looking. She tends to dress for effect and has a weakness for one-of-a-kind items, including a platinum ring in the shape of a coiled dragon (a Power Focus 4, apparently once owned by Dunkelzahn ). She is pragmatic, and always wants to be "in control", which puts her at odds with her current tutor Harlequin. Jane Foster is a member of Jackpoint, and posts under the handle "Frosty."

Okay that's not so bad...

>Jane Foster grew up in orphanages in Columbia, Missouri. Self-taught, she was able to put herself through the University of Missouri, and was making a life as an executive secretary at CommTech, Inc., when she was drawn into a personal challenge between Harlequin and Ehran the Scribe. She chose to remain with Harlequin afterwards, who began to teach her how to use her latent magical talents. During her tutelage, she has met Great Dragons like Dunkelzahn, fought the Horrors in the Chasm between worlds, and experienced more than possibly any other metahuman has in the same span of time.

Oh fuck me.
>>
>>43748893

They are prime runnners for a reason and in jane's case. An old guard runner who skirts near the most epic metaplots
>>
What's the Object Resistance of Freeze-foam/Barrier Foam?

I had an idea of a mystic adept going ghetto green lantern by having a backpack tank full of the stuff and spraying it out so he could Shape [Material] the stuff for solid objects on the fly.

Depending on how complex the stuff is, I could be looking at a mere 2 (Simple plastics), 4 (advanced plastics), or 6+ (Complex toxic wastes). For a mysadept, 2 is fine, 4 is extremely tricky, and 6+ is 'forget about it'.

If that's not the case, can I make a more eco-friendly (And lower OR) variant somehow? Someone suggested spider-silk but there's not really any rules for building that up.

Could I get the same effect with Magic Fingers, maybe?
>>
>>43749223
There's awakened ivy, I guess? Not as portable, but it's a thing.
>>
>>43748893
You know what irritates me the most?

>has a weakness for one-of-a-kind items
>always wants to be "in control", puts her at odds with

These fake drawbacks injected in an attempt to make a Mary Sue look less sue-ish to the writer. Sues that go all the way like the original Mary Sue can be played for laughs, unlike Sues that have these kinds of "drawbacks." Sadly she really is in the source material...
>>
>>43749602
>Oh no, being an effective corporate (Wanting to be in control) is such a horrid flaw oh woe is me!
>Oh no, liking unique items is such a curse!
>>
>>43749648
>>43749602

Compared to player characters, who will take negative qualities like being allergic to cheese.
>>
>>43749698
Yes but you have a GM to slap them for being stupid assholes.

Writers have only themselves to answer to, but just because they're allowed to be humongous faggots doesn't mean they aren't humongous ffaggots.
>>
>>43748893
She is INSUFFERABLE.
Thankfully, all the 4e adventure she's in are actually pretty fucking great with some moderate editing.

Namely, replacing her with some inept chump, removing the Atlantean Foundations "white knight" who goes all m'lday over her, and cutting out the ludicrously powerful Blood Mage who you essentially NEED said white knight to get rid of, while you fight off the help like good little boys and girls.

In her own way, she's worse than Harlequin.
At least the writers acknowledge that nobody in-universe likes him, the only disparaging comment ever made about Frosty was when FastJack bitched at her for never contributing anything important to his site, despite inviting her specifically for that reason.
>>
>>43749698
I disagree with this completely. I am way more interested in what flaws people take on their characters than what their actual stats are.

That said, anytime I see Allergy I immediately roll my eyes.
>>
>>43749987

I roll my eyes unless the allergy will be a really common thing, even without GM fiat to make it matter (I had a friend play a mage with moderate allergy to Metal. She couldn't hold onto a gun for extended periods of time without gloves or something like that, or break out into hives. Had another dude with an allergy to Soy, so he had to ALWAYS eat real food, which was a constant drain on his finances).

If the allergy actually MEANS something, then I'm fine with that.

The funniest thing I saw was another friend who was allergic to alcohol, but also addicted to it. He regularly made himself sick, just by feeding a different sickness.
>>
File: npc_orkmale_shangrila_talon_02.png (136KB, 212x278px) Image search: [Google]
npc_orkmale_shangrila_talon_02.png
136KB, 212x278px
>>43749698
>who will take negative qualities like being allergic to cheese

Last time I checked, that turned out just fine.
>>
>>43749987
>anytime I see Allergy I immediately roll my eyes
I had someone who wanted to tale Allergy (Bees).
Fucking BEES!
Fucker knows I hate bees and would never even CONSIDER putting them in my games.
>>
>>43750146
If it's the urban sprawl that's retarded. If it's a campaign out in the wilderness it would be applicable.

On a similar note how crazy is Central Park in NY? Our Hobo with a Shotgun Terra First Shaman tried to sleep their one night and was chased out by a pack of somethings. It was Barghests or possibly Werewolves, either way he stays the fuck out of their after dark.
>>
>>43746958
Mystic Adept B, Skills C, Human D would be better. Fuck bioware.
>>
File: snatcher_main.png (160KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
snatcher_main.png
160KB, 640x480px
How do I make shadowrun more noir?
>>
>>43749987
>anytime I see Allergy I immediately roll my eyes
Character is allergic to the majority of synthetic fabrics.
She has to spend extra for literally every item of clothing she buys.
>>
>>43750836
Plus side, she's the rigger/getaway driver, so the team get to ride in. stepvan that has leather seats.
>>
>>43750825
Less gunplay, more hoystin' and legwork.
>>
>>43750825
Less operation, more intrigue, constant acid rain in the background.
>>
>>43750825
Stress the investigation angle more.
Less blowing up facilities, and more hunting down serial killers and rescuing victims of abduction.
Perhaps being paid to investigate the odd death or two.

It's actually my favourite type of run.
>>
>>43749987
How about Allergy (Condoms)
>>
>>43751010
That would be allergy latex, which is possible.

>successful troll reduction.jpg
>>
>>43749987
What about Allergy: DMSO?
>>
>>43751052
Looks more like a Neoteny troll.
>>
>>43751096
BONER NO
>>
>>43751096
Nah way man check out that huge pair of fully developed boobs
>>
>>43751105
Pedoshit pls leav
>>
Can you change the vector of a drug in 5e?

Like can you change Jazz from inhalation to injection?
>>
What is the maximum possible initiative dice one can have? Say you have rank 3 wired reflexes and the create-a-drug thing that gives +3 init dice... Does the system allow you to have 7d6 init dice?
>>
>>43751847
5d6.
>>
>>43749743
Well, and now he has CFD. Dun-dun-dun.
>>
>>43751985
Wait what? Since when does Harlie have CFD?
>>
>>43751998
FastJack has caught CFD, not Har'Lea'Quinn.
>>
>>43752005
Oh. I thought that the writers might actually be doing something good with the metaplot for a second. More fool me.
>>
>>43752010
>implying ultra-grogs will ever do anything bad to characters like Harlequin
>>
>>43752031
That's why I was surprised and hopeful.
>>
>>43752031
I was so sad that he re-surfaced. I hoped he vanished somewhere around early 3rd edition for good. Seriously, why have him? Everybody, literally everybody and not just terrible 4chan trolls hates him (and Immortal Elves, but these are not quite as bad). Why re-insert him into fluff, and this with force (but then again, everything about Denver is shit tier fluff).

>>43752005
And the implication on my side was that she is probably behind this. Well, not really, but that's the Mary Sue tier I perceive here.
>>
>>43751509
Use DMSO; you can make it contact. You're still somewhat limited by how you apply it - gas grenades, splash grenades / capsule rounds, injection darts / weapon coating, etc.
>>
>>43752010
>Harly vs CFD: the grand battle
>Harlequin stops eating and survives through the nutrition spell
>nanites slowly flush out of his system, unable to replace themselves
>otherwise business as usual
So exciting.
>>
>>43752097
No but harlequin got magical super nanites so it doesn't work.
Wow CFD is even more 'play a mage, nerd' than I thought it was.
>>
>>43752097
...fuck
>>
File: zed10.jpg (64KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
zed10.jpg
64KB, 640x480px
>>43752097
>can't play a blob of nanites
>can't on the fly create my body from materials on hand
>can't kill a magical clown
>can't even incorporate other machines into my form

I am so disappointed
>>
>>43752104

CFD doesn't give a shit about magic. Magic can't work on it because <Reasons> just like Technomancers can't do shit.

Because god forbid technomancers be useful
>>
>>43752097
What happens if Harlequin got cancer? Can he fix that?
>>
>>43752070
And the sad thing is... I can sort of see Ehran, even though it would probably have been just fine without the professor Xavier bullshit just to justify an Earthdawn tie in.

But Harlequin is pure "look how cool my old character is" wank
>>43752136
>implying
He's a metastasized cancer
>>
>>43752136
Cancer is a general non-issue in the Sixth World. Except it's magic cancer, like in cyberzombies, and even that is only dangerous without regular treatment.
>>
>>43752070
>Why re-insert him into fluff
Because some people with horrible taste liked him.

In his first appearance, he was useless and served to only be further evidence there were cycles of Magic before this one.

In his second appearance, he actually got off his ass and assembled 5 Runners with Attitude to solve a problem, while he sat there and took a gigantic fucking beating. This referenced the Horrors of Earthdawn extensively.

However now that Earthdawn and Shadowrun are held by entirely different companies, he has no purpose, as they cannot reference the Horrors. This means that he's a character without a plot, drifting throughout the setting and shitting up everything like he did in his first appearance.

>>43752136
Fucker developed a spell to stop Nuclear Weapons from going off.
>>
>>43752147
>professor Xavier bullshit
Wasn't that a different Immortal Elf?

>>43752156
>Fucker developed a spell to stop Nuclear Weapons from going off.
Which means yes, he can cure Cancer.
>>
>>43752149
Aw. I was hoping that he could get like, testicular cancer or something.
>>43752147
Yeah, tbqh I don't entirely mind the Immortal Elves as a concept, because basically most of them seem to just be pointy-eared mini-dragons, but then you have Frosty and Harlequin and probably some other idiots that I'm forgetting about.
>>
>>43752156
>no nukes
what
WHAT
THIS IS AN OOOOUTRAGE
>>
>>43752113
Personally, I'd like to go full humanoid drone AI or full nanomachines son, without it being ludicrously over or under powered.
>>
>>43752126
>As long as the head case ingests food, the nanites are able to create soft nanites at a rate of +1 NV every week. If the head case can eat some inorganic materials, the nanites can create hard nanites at the same rate.
>That means a feeding head case increases their nanite count at a rate higher than the degradation of old nanites (–1/month), which are often recycled if they have not been flushed from the body by injury or waste evacuation.

CFD gives a shit about how much you consume. Anyone that can survive the addiction tests of Nutrition, and avoid losing control / eating anything, can starve the nanites out. It's that simple.
>>
>>43752168
Are you new to shadowrun lore?
>>
>>43752216
I'll be honest, I've been around it a while but my understanding is only surface level.

I had figured the occasional nuke going off was just part of life.
>>
>>43752165
There are 3 categories of Immortal Elves
1. Those assholes from the Tirs who want Elves to rule the world.
2. Ehran, the Elven Machiavelli who kinda sided with Group 1, but tries to protect the world.
3. Harlequin and Frosty, the dipshit duo. Break the rules, "fight the good fight",abuse their powers. It might not be so bad, if they weren't constantly rubbed in people's faces.

Group 1 are excellent, they're understandable and work perfectly as a part of the setting.
Group 2 is also pretty great, he works well as a setting piece, but can also interact with you from time to time as an employer.
Group 3 is utter dogshite. If they interact with you, they're either demanding you come with them on missions (where they steal the show with their ludicrous Magic, or CONVENIENTLY lose their Magic temporarily), or stirring up shit which you've got to deal with. You're expected to like them because they too work in the Shadows, and look past their inane bullshit.

tl;dr
Immortal Elves should be a part of the setting, not NPCs in an escort mission.
>>
>>43752225
Basically something in the manasphere fucks with nukes above low tactical yields.

Also irradiated zones tend to go toxic.
>>
>>43752156
>However now that Earthdawn and Shadowrun are held by entirely different companies, he has no purpose, as they cannot reference the Horrors. This means that he's a character without a plot, drifting throughout the setting and shitting up everything like he did in his first appearance.
Wasn't he also the reason Initiation got actually invented?

>Fucker developed a spell to stop Nuclear Weapons from going off.
Well, this should be a rather simple manipulation spell. Even with a tolerable Drain, since very specific, although high Object Resistance. Your mage can do it, too.
>>
>>43752225
>I had figured the occasional nuke going off was just part of life.
The Gaiasphere fucks with them, a whole load just don't go off, and those which do have a massively reduced area of effect.

Harlequin however is just mentioned as having developed a spell he could use to halt their detonation. Which while not exactly a bad idea, is somewhat of a gauge of what kind of powerlevel he works at, and how horribly he wastes it.

Dude's 1 step down from the Great Dragons in terms of sheer power.
And that with his part of the book saying "oh, he can be stronger if you need".

Fucking Magic 30 asshole.
>>
>>43752237
well, I still want nukes to be in the players hands, and also want to use nukes when I am player, so I think I will start announcing that change.
>>
>>43752233
Yeah, that sums up my thoughts on the IEs pretty well to be perfectly honest, family. There's not necessarily anything wrong with having insanely powerful immortal beings in your setting, but don't ask me to like them just because they've got Street Knowledge 6: Rap or whatever.
>>
Considering all their power, there is one little thing which pisses me off about Harlequin and Frosty above all others.
Their Metamagic, "Sacrifice 2".
Which is Sacrifice, but can be used by those who aren't twisted, and doesn't create a background count.

They get to have their cake, and eat it too.
>>
>>43752267
But why
>>
>>43752249
At least some of the IEs and GDs are at their power limits by virtue of what the current mana levels allow. IOW, as mana rises, so do they.
>>
>>43752276
because it is always great.
And, ideally, it is metal gear.
>>
>>43752233

Pretty much. Shadowrun isn't made worse by more groups squabbling over who gets to pull the strings.

It is made worse when characters turn up to make the PCs look bad in their own story. The PCs are the center of their own story, let them live up to that idea.
>>
File: Lofwyr the CEO.jpg (38KB, 750x511px) Image search: [Google]
Lofwyr the CEO.jpg
38KB, 750x511px
>>43752291
But of course, let them believe they matter... They'll work all the harder for it!
>>
>>43752070
Guess where else he shows up in.
>Playing Shadowrun Returns, Deadmans Trigger
>Having some good old fashioned isometric gaming fun
>Suddenly Harlequin
>"Lol I'm joining your party now and there's nothing you can do about it rofl!"
>It's a mission where you have to use special shotguns to kill bug spirits
>He's only skilled in swords
>>
>>43752572
Did he ded? If not, why?
>>
>>43752572
Yeah, but in Deadman's switch he's useless and annoying as fuck.
>>
>>43752572
Eh, you just need to finish 'em off with those shotguns, so even an unskilled idiot can do it at point-blank range.

>>43752586
If he ded, he back!

>>43752600
All "established characters" in DMS are useless and annoying as fuck. Don't get me started on The Dodger...
>>
I'm playing through HK, and I was told there were cyber whips.

When/where do I get the cyber whip?
>>
>>43752636
After like your third mission, at the cyberware place. You invested in ranged, right?
>>
>>43752653
Yeah.
>>
>>43752664
And you aren't a troll either?
>>
>>43752682
Of course not. I'm a handsome elf.
>>
File: 1444294464904.jpg (148KB, 900x939px) Image search: [Google]
1444294464904.jpg
148KB, 900x939px
>mfw I want to make a run based around the time crisis games
The basic idea I have for right now is a lot of streets and alleys ways pilling on guys they can easily kill but they have to get to macguffin in X total combat turns
>>
>>43752696
Then by all means, go for the mono-whip. You'll like it.
>>
>>43752707
Genius. Why'd I never think about it before? Throw more 1-HP mooks at them than the place has space for and you're set!
>>
>>43752233
>Ehran is trying to protect the world

Confirmed for talking entirely out of his ass.

Couple of clarifications here:

-Only Tir Tairngire is imperialistic. The other Tir, while just as xenophobic, is in splendid isolation and only bothers Irish nationals and IRA sympathisers by existing. Well, aside from Aztechnology for some reason.

-Ehran is every bit as racist and neonazi as the other Tir princes. He is not humanity's friend. If he had to genocide an entire culture to save his precious elves, he would. FFS, he founded a group that hunts non-elves for sport.

-Ehran and the Tir princes wish to protect their faction of elves from the Horrors, not the world. The world can go to hell for all they care. They haven't warned anybody and they're only safeguarding their own borders.

-In the old Tir book, it's heavily implied the Tir princes cooked up VITAS.

-Harlequin and Ehran are friends, despite all the events in Harlequin 1. If you honestly think either character is meant to be sympathetic, you really should have a good look on what they do to their "friends". You are NOT expected to like either of them. They are conceptually humongous dicks and they don't like YOU either.

-Most of the gripes about Harlequin are either from people who've never played either module or had a DM who used him as a DMPC, which is not the intent. He's there to take the hits that would TPK the party, nothing more.
>B-b-b-but my duel with Ehran!!!
Yeah, if you hurt him, you don't get paid. Your job is to see if he's alright and heal him up if he isn't, dipshit. You DO want to get paid, right? Anyway, you should be way more concerned about the dragon you'll be fighting a couple seconds after meeting him. Wait, your GM didn't do that and didn't let you kill a dragon for once in your life?
Sucks to be you.
>>
File: motoko.jpg (328KB, 1786x1911px) Image search: [Google]
motoko.jpg
328KB, 1786x1911px
so, uh.
Is it weird to play female characters in the shadowrun community?

It's not really a problem for me in most games because I never really want to play the opposite gender, but something about cyberpunk makes me really want to make ladies.
>>
>>43752990
No weirder than it is to play female characters in any other RPG community, but the setting is much friendlier to it since conveniences and healthcare not available in medieval ones make women professionals/soldiers more believable.
>>
>>43752887
We ran a game once, in 4rth, where we were all playing a group of crazy conspiracy nuts, mostly deckers(blahblah hackers) and riggers, and our endgame was to take control of a forgotten, decommissioned Fuchi Thor shot satellite and use it to blow the shit out of Tir Tairngire. We ran normal runs to fund and build contacts for this project after discovering the satellite's existence during a run into an old abandoned Fuchi lab.

Unfortunately, we never got to finish because our massively obese GM was arrested for trying to rape some massively obese chick that used to hang around the LGS.
>>
>>43753105
Uh, wow
OK, tmi
>>
>>43753105
It sounds like a cool plan, bro. I tried something similar with my group, but it turns out, they weren't good at thinking around corners, so taking on the elves directly turned out to be a bad idea.

Pity about your GM's lack of taste in women and lack of fucking sanity. Couldn't any of you pick up the mantle and finish it?
>>
>>43753154
He had all the SR books.
The way our group was structured, we were a 5 man group of players, each would get the books for one game and take turns gm'ing after each campaign. He had all the SR books, I had all the Traveler books, another had all the D&D books, etc.
>>
>>43753170
I'm sure you could ask his mom to lend you the books and claim he requested to you from jail that you retrieve them, or something.
>>
>>43743793
>Tell us about your run-ins with corp security. We all know about Knight Errant and the Red Samurai, but maybe some lesser-known groups?

Our GM decided that Mitsuhama's black-ops subsidiary was called Shinsengumi Enforcement and Security. Given that we generally play pretty smart and usually have a good week to plan and set up for a run, getting into highly-secured Mitsuhama territory isn't that big of a problem. Getting out, on the other hand, can be pretty complicated. Our last encounter with them involved a team of five fully-armored samurai riding combat bikes equipped with machine guns, lead by another samurai in even bigger armor on an even better combat bike and with the spider on D-sec stonewalling their tacnet and PANs from the other side of the building. We filled the air with as many explosives as we could and wisely noped the fuck out of there. Thankfully, only two out of the six of us ended up just this side of a body bag.
>>
So, newbie question. What are the differences between 4e and 5e? Used 4e a couple of times, but I haven't played in ages and was considering switching to 5e.
>>
>>43753632
Not a lot. Mainly, the Matrix changed.
Rule-wise, you now have limits and Initiative dice.

Lots of smaller changes.
>>
>>43753632
Dosh.

Shit's expensive in 5e. Also, there's an upper limit to actions either due to your stats or a piece of equipment's stats.

The meta is somehow worse.
>>
>>43753706

Different dude, but how's the meta worse?
Hell, what *is* the meta?
One of the big ten is going down to be replaced by another, as far as I know.
>>
>>43753730
Metaplot: GOD is coming, hide your butts! CFD is coming, hide your butts!

Metagame: Play a mage, dipshit!
>>
>>43753752

That's not much of a metaplot, though.
I mean, so there's GOD now, but it's just a limit on how much shit you can do outside a host before you get slapped out.
I mean, if your runners decided to lay siege to a building in the street, they'd get their shit shoved in pretty quick.

I honestly don't understand anything about CFD except that it's a plot device to get rid of some NPCs and maybe flavor the streets with some paranoia.
>>
>>43753804
CFD was a potential way to bring back Captain Chaos, but we'll see if they actually go through with it.
>>
>>43753823

Wait, what?
How would that bring back Captain Chaos?
Would he come back as an e-ghost or something, at best?
Like, maybe he's a sprite now because he got backed up in the Resonance Realms.
But CFD?
Isn't it pretty much a Deus plot? I mean, not officially, but c'mon, it's clearly Deus?
>>
>>43753839
Yes! It's back!
>>
Still waiting to find out who Saeletra is.
>>
>>43753864

I'm guessing an Immortal Elf.
I mean, they clearly knew how to use tech.
Also: bet you 50Â¥ whoever came up with that bit of lore honestly forgot if it was going anywhere.
>>
>>43752887
So ehran if the thalmor of shadow run?
>>
>>43752990
I don't see a problem with it. There are plenty of female runners in canon, even if everyone bashes every aspect of the canon. Plus, it's a role-playing game, is your GM really going to lock out 51% of potential characters just because of the bits they've got?
>>
>>43753997
Him and all his Tir buddies,yep. Surehand is actually the most "liberal" of the lot, not Brightwater/Ehran.
>>
Talk me out of using the Ares sonic rifle. Is this thing as great as it looks like?
>>
Is the rigger book out yet? I want to play shadowrun 5e but riggers are ass... unless you play "GAME OF DRONES" in which case, the game is ass for everyone else because your drones take so many turns and it takes a long time.

Also, why don't more people play shadowrun 5e? I wish I had a consistent group or just.. SOMETHING to scratch this shadowrun itch.
>>
Is a mana punching, no armor/no weapon Adept viable in 5E ?
>>
>>43754856
No.

>>43754875
It requires some caerful min-maxing.
>>
>>43754875
No weapon is definitely viable in 5e
No armor works until someone pulls a full auto AK against you.
>>
>>43754875
You can go no armor if you want to, but considering the variety of discreetly-armored clothing you can buy, why would you want to? Even the generic armored vest is designed to be worn under normal clothing without providing a bulge.
>>
>>43754946
>without providing a bulge.
She looks to be sporting one under her shirt already
>>
>>43754754
It sounds like a good incapacitation shotgun, but nausea is very easily compensated for with cheap cyberware, and disorientation alone becomes a smaller and smaller inconvenience the larger your dice pools get.

Also, am I just blind, or does it not have its ranges listed anywhere?
>>
>>43754875
>no armor
Fuck your magical realm, Shadowrun is not the game/setting to be pulling that kind of shit unless you want to die extremely fast.

If you really want to, make it a geas or something, but you should make sure your GM is squared with it.
>>
>>43755004
Without the usual bulge provided by tits. Or cock. I guess. Given how ubiquitous cosmetic surgery is in Shadowrun I wouldn't be surprised if half the chicks walking down the street are packing.
>>
>>43755052
Straight blue life is hard life.
>>
>>43755004
She's probably suffocate without a custom order.
>>
>>43754907
What about mana/magic spells ? Just starting browsing the corebook and expansions, but I remember there being stuff like that from Shadowrun returns.
>>
>>43755144
Do you mean the Armor spell and Mystic Armor?
>>
>>43755144
There are armor spells, but spells are magicians only, PhyAds might have a power that gives them extra armor but I can't remember off the top of my head if they do or what it's called.
>>
Is vehicle rigger possible? I fucking hate drones.
>>
>>43755163
I think that's what they were called, yes. How viable they are in place of physical armor ?
>>
>>43755192
Possible? yes in 5e
Viable? not yet in 5e
>>
>>43755144
To cast spells you need to be a Magician or Mystic Adept.

Adepts can get an armor power, but it's really not as useful as other choices.

Mystic Adept is fucking overpowered.
>>
>>43755176
Mystic Armor, it's an Adept power. It's pretty pricey, though, and all told it's better used to augment the armor you wear than to replace worn armor entirely.
>>
Why is it that sometimes the dice pool modifiers apply to the acting character and sometimes to the subject character (e.g. being intoxicated gives a -1 penalty to the subject of a social check, whereas being imposing gives a -1 penalty to the acting character on an intimiadtion check)? Why not simplify everything as modifiers to the acting person's pool?
>>
>>43755232
If you're an Adept, you can't even touch the Armor spell without a friendly Mage or Spirit.

If you go Mystic Adept, you can cast it on yourself and help give you a boost. However, that boost isn't going to be more than roughly 4 armor.

Mystic Armor is a really PP-inefficient way to boost armor.

So to be frank, not wearing armor is a goddamned death sentence.
>>
>>43755232
Mystical Armor is grossly overcosted in PP, and the Armor spell is too weak unles you cast the mother of all spells, get an extreme amount of hits and survive the drain.

Get yourself an armored suit instead, and boost that with a safe, sane and survivable Armor spell.
>>
>>43755232
They're better used to supplement armor than as a replacement for it. If you're going for an aesthetic there are several types of armor that are made to look like normal clothing. My favorite is the Mortimer of London suits from 4th editions Arsenal book, for the man that wants to look respectable but who also wants to be prepared should a firefight break out at his favorite upscale restaurant.
>>
>>43755232
They're not.
>>
>>43754875
Most armour you wear isn't really armour if you're just about that aesthetics. I mean, you can buy suit that looks just as a normal suit and gives the protection of a police-grade armour jacket (Executive Suite, AR 12). The stuff your waifu here wears? Can always be defined as Zoé Heritage AR12.
>>
>>43755257
Because each condition influences the side directly afflicted with condition (being drunk and not getting talked into bullshit is hard[er than usual]. Trying to scare someone you're scared of is hard[er than usual])
Also because that dated game design.
>>
>>43755034
It uses shotgun rules for ranges. So it basically is an incapacitation shotgun. That said, Damage Resistance instead of Toxin Resistance test, based off Willpower instead of Body.

My only real complaint with it is 400 nuyen and 14F for a spare 10-shot clip, or recharge it veeeery slowly.
>>
>>43755287
They are also in 5e (with a commentary about how every shadowrunner gets it up to the point that people [in the know] start suspect people wearing MoL to be criminals)
>>
>>43755309
>Heritage at chargen
ayyy
>>
>>43755356
I kind of get it, but I think it'd be simpler to say "everybody acting against the drunk guy, add +1 to your dice pool". Trying to keep track of modifiers to multiple dice pools is crazy
>>
>>43755309
>>43755418
Go for an Executive Suite instead. 12 armor, 2000 nuyen and it's a fashionable suit.

Capacity is low, okay, but yeah... 2000 nuyen, it's a steal.
>>
>>43755421
While I agree with your general sentiment, it DOES make little sense that suddenly everybody gets better. The drunken guy just lets more stuff get to him. That's especially important if acting against multiple opponents (one drunk and one not, e.g.)

Also, it's not like shit like social influence gets rolled multiple times with changing circumstances in rapid succession, where you would actually need to keep track. All you have is the GM going "Weeeeell, you have… +1+2+2–1–3, so added together a +1 modifier. And you have… lemme see +1+1+1–1 dice, so plus two dice added together". Then you roll. It's still not really great for game pacing, but no rocket science either.
>>
>>43755503
Well, that's what I'd do for a punchy adept. Hell, that's what I've built once The fucking suit was his most expensive material possession after his dirtbikeHe was a squatter troll following Shark/Hunger and his street name was Jaws. I liked him. Doesn't represent the person in the pics really well (I cannot into vidya so sorry if I'm supposed to know her), however.
>>
>>43755652
Also apparently I cannot into spoiler after a spoiler.
>>
Is there any way to account for varying fire rates on guns? Like, why does a minigun have the same fire rate as an AK?
>>
>>43755898
Because of practical reasons.
>>
>Switched to 5E
>Everything's so god damn expensive now
>The team is looting corpses like d&d
>We even got special equipment to strip out any trackers in the van
>>
>>43755940
Practical reasons such as...? Why even use the Vindicator?
>>
>>43756100
Such as not having one rule pro gun. Nobody cares for /k/ tier "realism"
>>
>>43754856
>Posts about CGL borking yet another aspect of the game in 5e
>Why don't more people play 5e?

>>43756060
>switched to 5e

...why would you even do this? Seriously.

>>43756148
>one rule per gun= realism

I don't think you know guns, mate.
>>
>>43755898
It does more damage. That's how it has a higher fire rate.
>>
I've been considered getting Hong Kong,. How does the story compare to the other two? I liked Dead Man's Switch better than Dragonfall because, despite the lack of bells and whistles, I found it more engagingly written and the whole detective aspect was really well done.
>>
>>43756196
You've seen those quotation marks? They are there for a reason.
All I was saying is that tracking individual differences in fire rate and making extra rules for that shit — as the other guy proposed — is boring and rather silly.
>>
Can multiple mounted weapons be used on a drone at once? Would you need to split the dice pool on them?
>>
>>43756269

Your character's backstory isn't "you were a shadowrunner who worked closely with this person who died, figure it out" like it was in the first two games.

Instead, it's "you were a Redmond Barrens rat who was taken in by this Cantonese hardass along with your orcish adopted bro. You end up in corporate prison for undefined reasons, but get let out seven years later when the hardass asks for your help in Hong Kong..."

It's got a more fish-out-of-water vibe as your character is more-or-less navigating the shadows for the first time. Intrigue behind why your adopted dad is in trouble and how it all relates to Kowloon Walled City.
>>
>>43756865
But is the detective and discovery stuff done well?
>>
File: photo-3.jpg (164KB, 1100x736px) Image search: [Google]
photo-3.jpg
164KB, 1100x736px
>>43755287
>>43755402
>>
>>43756895
Not really. Like in DF, you're off doing missions to gain money while other people do your legwork.
>>
>>43756926
>other people do your legwork.
Fuuuuuuuck that.
This is why the SRR games have all bored me to tears.
Legwork, planning, seeing all the work we did come together or fall apart, that stuff is easily my favorite part of playing Shadowrun, and without it all the runs feel hollow and boring.
>>
>>43756961
The investigative portion of DMS was good though, actually getting itno the PI stuff. There were times when I had to actually think critically about the evidence presented, and use that to choose what I selected as a dialogue option, and I went through the game learning about what happened. It felt like a murder mystery, the kind you'd get in a show or book, and a really good one. DF had an overarching story, and if had nice gameplay, but it just didn't have the level of writing and mystery that DMS had, and for me that was the game's strong suit.
>>
>>43756286
Just have a fire rate cap and handle it like 3e. +1 DV or -1 to dodge for each bullet fired, and +1 to the recoil value. There, so easy. You could have a weapon with ROF 15, or ROF 10, or ROF whatever. It's so so so easy.
>>
>>43754875
Man fuck DOA and their totally-18-we-swear characters.
>>
So /srg/, I hope you could help me.
Our general DM has asked me whether or not I could GM Shadowrun for them.
I agreed and she left it for me to decide which edition, since no one of my group has much experience playing it.
I have already decided not to use 5e and would like to not use 1e and 2e if possible.

My question is: What exactly are the major differences between 3e and 4e? What do each of them do good and where are the pitfalls?
>>
I can't give my characters the Trust Fund quality in Chummer. I don't know what happened - I created a character with this quality last week, and I haven't fiddled with anything? Help ples
>>
File: 20151121_223118.jpg (928KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20151121_223118.jpg
928KB, 2048x1536px
It's game night tonight and one of my players did this.

I'm in love.
>>
>>43758737
4e is considerably simplified, which can be a good thing and speeds things up a bit. The learning curve isn't steep at all and it's easy to get into. The problems both have are largely similar as well, and tend to come from imprecisely formulated rulestext, which means when it comes up, put your foot down and decide what you think is sensible. I also recommend houseruling the matrix in ANY edition of SR you play.

I will say this for 3e, though: It has some really good splats, especially for fluff purposes. 4e less so, unfortunately.
>>
>>43758955
Okay so:
use RAI and houserule the matrix
Do you have a link to some matrix houserules you think are good or is that dependent on the group?
Is the lack of good 4e splats very hard or is it just a slight advantage for 3e
>>
>>43758955
I have to agree.
3e is THE edition to look for for fluff, they just wrote so fucking much of it, and most of it is incredible.

The setting books alone are enough to make my heart flutter.
>>
>>43759104
4e splats sucking are mostly in relation to a lack of some of the less "important" details such as information about the laws of different countries, as well as the sheer potential for abuse.

Possession Spirits, Empathy Software and others will live on in infamy.

However there's also a lot of great stuff there, and if you can learn the Matrix rules, and teach them to your player, you can really make it work.

e.g. Sure you could Hack your way in from the public node, traveling along the daisy chain through the security node, work node, and then hacking into the data-safe node, but you'd have to be REALLY good.
How about you use the infiltrator himself to install a data tap on one of the computers, and the cameras, so you can cover his entrance on the cameras, then bypass like 3 nodes, going straight for the paydata.

A lot of people don't want to though, so no shame on you if you don't either.
>>
>>43759104
Most of the stuff is forward compatible. Weapons are seriously dumbed down in 4e and all have one statline per gun type usually, so you shouldn't have any problem converting those, the lifestyle and rigger stuff from 3e can be ported easily as well, because the stats are self-contained.

As for matrix houserules, generally, we did away with extended tests. Allowing them for matrix actions means given enough time (usually minutes...) your decker will be able to hack literally anything. Instead, we do one roll, roll security against it, and apply consequences appropriately.

We also lowered the threshold for programming your own software, put autosofts together in packages (because needing to buy every single fucking soft for BASIC functionality of your drone is fucking retarded) and expanded on the abilities of software piracy and open source software. Basically, if it exists, you can pirate it, if you can conceive it, you can program it with enough time.

Look up Agent Smith, realise that any network with a human host under a massive attack is likely to disconnect and that the number of agents raises general traffic in the network and can raise flags REGARDLESS of how good your stealth program is.

Last thing that comes to mind is that it's fucking cyberpunk. If only one person in your party can deck, and the rest are matrix incompetent, then that one guy is not going to have much fun because people literally live in cyberspace in shadowrun and it's its own little world. He's going to miss out on a lot and basically be rolling dice all the time while everyone else does interesting shit. Encourage the group as a whole to invest on the matrix side or, if they think it's bollocks, contract an NPC to do it. Where star wars games have "all jedi or no jedi", SR does well with "all deckers or no deckers". 4e having the advantage that you can paste "decker" on literally anything with pure Nuyen alone and minimal skill investment.
>>
>>43759109

Good lord, I never looked at any of the pre-4E books before. I'm reading through Cybertechnology to work on a street sam's cyber-related quirks, and this is great writing. Cheesy in parts, the art sucks, but the writing is so goddamn good. I see why people like 2-3e for fluff so much.
>>
>>43745753
What brnach of Evo? YOu mean their main tower? Uhh... i guess the answer to the question "What security does Evos main tower have" is "all of it".
>>
Hey guys, I tried using the chummer, but I don't understand how to create the character sheet after I finished it

Is there any "Finish" button that I'm not finding or am I supposed to just have the character loaded in the chummer at all times?
>>
>>43760101
Character Info > Mark as Created
>>
>>43760156
I'll re-ask my question seeing you're here - I'm having trouble with the "Trust Fund" quality showing - it worked in the past, doesn't anymore.
>>
>>43760466
Tools, Options, Optional Rules. Is the checkbox for 'Don't allow qualities forbidden by missions' ticked?
>>
>>43760519
Nope, it's unticked.
All the sourcebooks (except german SR5) are selected.
>>
>>43757848
Believe me, I'd want to. Especially Christie.
>>
>>43749223
So I had another thought about this: Freeze and Barrier foam both expand and then harden, so theoretically I could take Shape [Air] and use that to sculpt the air bubbles in the still-hardening foam to sculpt objects.

Opiions on this?
>>
>>43755235

Can you explain? I thought it was the opposite. Drone riggers get screwed by fragile and expensive drones, plus EWar being kinda useless. I thought vehicle riggers were still OK.
>>
>>43761000
Shape [Air] sounds fun.
I don't remember how long it takes for the Foam to expand, but trapping people in a cage of hardened foam sounds neat.
>>
>>43760754
Well, fuck. Um. Try ticking and unticking it, it's probably not saved properly?
>>
Okay, so I'm considering modular limbs, but I'm not sure. One set of limbs has weapons and armor built in, the other would be synthetic limbs (as opposed to obvious) with improved synthskin and enhanced stats. I'd have to buy the synthetic limbs post-chargen. Are modular limbs as shitty as they seem to be, or would this be a good idea?
>>
Its more useful to have one "loud" and one "soft" arm the more mirrorshades your group is.
>>
>>43761277
Well, we don't know exactly how mirrorshades we're gonna end up being. Probably pretty heavily down that road. On the other hand, I could use the essence and nuyen from the modular components, and I'd be able to fit higher stat boosts...
>>
>>43761238
modular cyberlimbs are fantastic, but theyre also fantastically expensive
>>
>>43761360
I might get it fitted in later. We'll see, I guess.
>>
>>43753915
I think it's my favorite piece of Shadowrun lore, and that you're probably right makes me really sad.
>>
>>43762222

https://twitter.com/Saeletra/status/150911530827911168

Heh.
>>
>>43744130
Lasers and Flamethrowers are pretty good.

Flamers are cheap AP half and evidence destruction. Good for skillwiring.

Also some exotic melee become a lot more worth it when you realize you can use the arsenal MA rules to pick up specialities for martial arts in a skill.

Best use of exotic-laser was in an eye visor system .
>>
>>43753915
>>43753864

Actually, it was Nigel Findley.

He's dead so.... nobody knows.
>>
>>43762693
That is actually really depressing.
Thanks.
>>
Does background count interfere with adept powers?
>>
are there rules for custom rigging armor anywhere?
I'd look it up in the books but holy shit these are the worst organized things ever with no index.

I am just interested in tearing apart the cheap bulletproof vests of a dozen corpsec and stapling them together into huge defensive slabs to use as a shield or a clothing insert.
>>
>>43763113
I should probably clarify- I mean passive powers, not active. I know active powers get dice penalties.

>>43762666
Is that for 4E? I was talking about 5E when I asked, but the Arsenal reference threw me off.
>>
>>43763135

Only active powers are affected.
>>
>>43763135
>>43763282

But the SG 32, the red box, also says it's a simple action for Adepts to turn on or off their passive powers if the bonus is less than the penalty, but that might only be the case if they're dual natured.
>>
>>43763282
Perfect. I'm feeling an anti-magic adept coming on with Astral Hazing...
>>
>>43763330
>A background count impose a negative dice pool penalty equal to its rating for all tests linked in any way to magic (such as spellcasting, summoning, and skill tests that use active adept powers such as Killing Hands or Improved Sense).
Hate to be the one to burst your bubble. If there's a roll or skill test linked to an adept power, it's penalised.
>>
What do you guys really hate about the canon?
>>
>>43763575
That specifically says active adept powers, though. Doesn't say anything about passives. Granted, still throws up issues for me if I go to active powers...

>>43763578
Everything that's happened in 5e.

In particular, I dislike Netcat and whoever her husband is, and Clockwork.
>>
>>43763600
Killing Hands and Improved Sense are both passive powers. "Active" refers to when they are turned on.
>>
>>43763578
The existence of CAS. That's the stupidest shit ever.
>>
>>43763578
I love shadowrun to death. But putting pixies and fey creatures in drives me nuts. As well as the concept of immortal elves being anything other than Tir propaganda.
>>
>>43763578
Cold fusion has been a thing since 2027. We never hear about it again. Oh, wait, Geatronics has ONE ENTIRE reactor, and otherwise relies on conventional energy such as solar or wind power! Oh wow. The tech is fifty years old. What the fuck, srsly?

There have been absolutely no significant advances in existing technological fields (ballistics, laser weapons, cyberware...) for several decades.

Caseless ammunition.

Every single bit of fluff written by CGL.
>>
Let's say I have no concept of wanting fun. How can I be of the most use as a technomancer? How would I even build a successful one, and what can they do that a decker can't?
>>
>>43763746
>>43763578
I'm going to extend this to "The reason the USA fragmented".
>>
>>43763784
>But putting pixies and fey creatures in drives me nuts.

Why? That seems like one of the much more harmless things to me.
>>
>>43763943

1) Hide real good. Pump Stealth into the stratosphere.
2) Summon sprites to do everything else for you.
3) ????
4) PROFIT!
>>
>>43763943
>WILLPOWER 6, 7 IF DWARF
>RESONANCE 6
>PICK A LOW RESONANCE PRIORITY, LOWEST YOU CAN GO, THEN USE SPECIAL POINTS TO GET THERE
>YOUR COMPLEX FORMS ARE RESONANCE VEIL AND PUPPETEER, ANYTHING ELSE CAN BE USEFUL BUT NOT NECESSARY
>GO HARD ON LOGIC
>THEN INTUITION
>YOU'LL BE WEAK MEATSPACE BUT WHAT CAN YOU DO
>START COMPILING SPRITES THEN REGISTER A FEW
>MACHINE SPRITES LETS YOU REMEDY YOUR COMBAT INCOMPETENCY WITH DIAGNOSTICS, ONE OR TWO AT MID LEVEL
>CRACK SPRITES LETS YOU SURVIVE HOSTS, ONE OR TWO AT MID LEVEL
>FAULT SPRITES WRECK SHIT, ONLY NEED ONE AT HIGH LEVEL, REGISTER THIS ONE
>TAKE FOCUSED CONCENTRATION 1, KEEP RESONANCE VEIL ON AT ALL TIMES ON ONE SPRITE, USUALLY MACHINE

Then you just function as a pet class. It's finicky, and relies on Diagnostics and Puppeteer being vague, but it can get you to the "viable" field.

What you can do that a decker can't? Being matrix invisible, for example. Resonance actions can't be detected on a success OR a failure, so puppeteer Invite Marks on someone and he's yours. Machine sprites are a no-strings-attached sustained teamwork test on anyone with a gun, with a few of them in the field you can make the whole team better without having to sustain anything or put you in harm's way. I've heard accounts of technomancers taking Hosts by force (as opposed to a decker's stealthy approach) if they get their full sprite army rolling, but that's heavy micromanaging. IF your GM considers sprites to be able to teamwork test normally, crack sprites can help you hack, but nothing says they can, nothing says they can't, so it's in the interpretation field. Otherwise you'll be hacking by proxy with those crack sprites, or forcing marks with Puppeteer.

The sad thing about technos is that they have a recipe for viability where most other archetypes can just stumble into it, and deviations from the recipe usually end in disaster. Also, what will you even do with all that cash? But I hope that was educational. Have fun!
>>
Why is it so fucking hard to find a Shadowrun game? Seriously, I'm dying here unable to find anything.
>>
>>43764241
because I'm too busy cycling through roving IPs and redirecting any mail coming to my place of residence and staying off the grid to play shadowrun.
>>
>>43764037
I think the metaplanes are stupid. Astral, meat, and matrix is plenty of realities, then to make this nebulous "other dimensions" Fuck.
>>
>>43764660
The "metaplanes" are part of the astral.
>>
>>43764660
Not to mention that nobody can access them unless they're a magician, which guarantees that unless your party is composed entirely of magicians, they will basically not be relevant to your campaign.

And if your party IS composed entirely of magicians, why aren't you playing Eldritch Ass Kicking?
>>
>>43763120
run faster would likely be the right direction. sorry i dont know further....
>>
>>43763120
Are you so poor that you can't buy armor of your own? What kind of shadowrunner are you?
>>
>>43765191
I'd imagine he can buy armor of his own, but it's all about those +1s.
>>
>>43763120
>shield of bullet proof vests
Yeah that's not how bodyarmour works.
>>
I've been listening to the Arcology actual play podcast.

I wish I had a steady enough schedule to run a game.

;_;
>>
>>43764995
there are things that let mundanes astrally project.
>>
>>43765234
Trogga, that's what PPP is for.
>>
>>43765377
A mage could probably surf the matrix too, doesn't mean he's ready to go fighting black ICE alongside the decker.
>>
File: 1439171550932.jpg (84KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1439171550932.jpg
84KB, 500x500px
>>43743793
>any GM's got a slot open?
>skype is fucking.fuck45

I'm plagued by GM dandruff! Head and shoulder's isn't helping!!
>>
File: what the hell am i hacking.png (874KB, 385x814px) Image search: [Google]
what the hell am i hacking.png
874KB, 385x814px
>>43765747
wut
>>
>>43765766
Flakes. flakes everywhere.
>>
I've got a few questions for vehicle rules.

I recently made a pilot heavy character thanks to gearhead and vehicle empathy and maxed out the pilot ground craft skill.

are there more rules that support vehicle modification/alterations that exist that can be used for 5e, before the rigger/technomancer book comes out, as a stop gap?

How do I make a character more useful as a street sam/biker?
>>
>>43766047
The transition from Driver Rigger to Street Sam is generally "Carries around an Assault Rife in the Car". You are probably going to have plenty of Reaction Enhancers and Wired Reflexes to help in regular combat.
>>
>>43766088
that's just it, it never was a transition, it was a street sam driver combo

can wired reflexes and reaction enhancers help with vehicles?

Using the gearhead and vehicle empathy qualities boost vehicle handling by 2.

it doesn't really matter at this point given how the game got cancelled, but I'm curious on a few things.

Can I use a lever action shotgun from the back of a Harley Davidson like the t800 or is that a massive dice penalty.
>>
File: 1425650262586.jpg (39KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
1425650262586.jpg
39KB, 720x405px
Shadowrun seems like a rare game few people on /tg/ seem to play. And those that DO play it are often times shilling cyberpunk 2020 While playing Shadowrun.

How do I find a game to play in rather than waiting 7 months? I've only managed to play in 12 sessions due to flakes.
>>
>>43766175
Tonnes of people on /tg/ play Shadowrun, and most of them dislike Cyberpunk 2020. Just because one autistic guy in your game went on about it doesn't mean everyone does.
Cyberpunk 2020 is my favourite system but I don't constantly bitch and say I'd rather be playing it when I play Shadowrun.
>>
>>43766175
>>43766209
I've never played Cyberpunk and always loved Shadowrun. There is one guy in my group that constantly sings the praise of 2020 and it's made me like the game alot less.
>>
File: 1441088161033.jpg (184KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1441088161033.jpg
184KB, 900x1200px
>>43766209
i never see any games for it on thread finder and the ones I do go after is just a bait-less hook. I've been looking for a game since June.
>>
>>43766131
Firing a gun while driving? As long as you make the action per turn to control the vehicle, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. But yeah, dice penalties might make it impractical.
>>
>>43766288
Is that one guy named Hardfire?
If so I'm sorry.
>>
File: shadowrun china.gif (636KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
shadowrun china.gif
636KB, 1000x1000px
>>43766288
I spend a few weeks learning shadowrun system, lore, and character creation. Then random shit happens. One girl once made a character backstory,no joke, 200 mother fucking pages and absolutely refused to let anyone in on the back story

>>43766327
i was rolling 14 dice just to drive the vehicle. I could've been driving a ford americar in a snow storm on two wheels from Seattle to Detroit with a stick shift. I think shooting a gun is just a -2 penalty for the shooting tests itself.

>>43766338
i know dat hardfire
>>
>>43766338
Wait do people actually play online? Because quite frankly I'm desperate to get in on a game.
>>
>>43766428
Some people do. I've finally gotten a party together, thank God, though we're pretty much full up.

unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the GM sucks and wants to make shadowrun into a light and cheery setting
>>
>>43766428
Not unless you're down for some 3rd edition Which is what I'm currently running
>>
>>43766428
Yea, but GM's might as well be unwed women in china. 40 million guys for one of them.
>>
>>43766452
>a light and cheery setting
Do tell
>>
>>43766456
I'm down to try 3rd edition
>>
>>43766428
There's always F-List
>>
>>43766385
My god. Do many SR nations get as fucked as China or are they something of a special case?
>>
File: 1301757787526.jpg (17KB, 251x159px) Image search: [Google]
1301757787526.jpg
17KB, 251x159px
>>43766480
no
>>
>>43766452
Meh, I'd take anything
>>43766456
I only know 2nd, 4th, and 5th.
>>43766461
That's an odd example.
>>43766480
I don't know what that is.

I just googled it.

I'll pass.
>>
>>43766472
Well, how does the time of 8AM PST tomorrow (4PM GMT) sound? If you think you can get something jammin' by then, hit me up on skype at Hardfire. it should say I'm in Canada, and the skype picture should be of a very amazed looking woman. Or, if you even want to join later on that can be arranged.
>>
>>43766500
Free California doesn't do great.
>>
>>43766468
Extreme pink mohawk with no consequences. It's like Bethesda's writing our campaign. We haven't started yet, so I wish I had details, but it's the general feel I've been getting from lore questions they ask me about.
>>
File: 1418588386114.jpg (21KB, 247x239px) Image search: [Google]
1418588386114.jpg
21KB, 247x239px
>>43766338
>>43766531
>>
File: shadowrun north america.gif (409KB, 1000x632px) Image search: [Google]
shadowrun north america.gif
409KB, 1000x632px
>>43766500
I have no idea how russia, europe or the middle east gets broken up.

but North America becomes Christopher Reeves' spine. broken up.

>>43766514
>That's an odd example.
but is it wrong?

>>43766531
depends. will you keep shilling Cyberpunk 2020?

>>43766556
exactly
>>
>>43766556
It was me all along. I was apologizing for liking 2020. I was unaware people thought it was terrible when I said I liked a system and setting a lot. Oh well.
>>
>>43766568
>Tír Taingire
>The Land of Promise
Yeah, okay
>>
>>43766599
KILL IT WITH FIRE!
>>
>>43766647
I really want some other such maps.
>>
>>43766531
wait is thisgonna be cyberpunk 2020
>>
>>43766681
What? No, it's Shadowrun. Shadowrun 3rd edition. You know, the one with the elves and the orks and the wim wam zim bam
>>
>>43766681
don't listen to >>43766709

He only wants to kill the elves, orks and wim wam zim bams.
>>
>>43766729
alright good just making sure, shadowrun is for dorks like go play your thinly veiled DND else while I pick up hot cyber babes with my metal skin attachment leather jacket BOOY YA
>>
>>43766709
>>43766681
>>43766556
>>43766531
Let me clarify.
This post >>43766338 was made by me as a self deprecating joke. Obviously saying that and then posting a game listing, not a super smart move on my part. But hey, we all make shitty jokes when we're kind of tired and rushing to prepare more stuff for your game, right? RIGHT?
>>
>>43766815
You made the fatal mistake of making a joke at /srg/, it happens to everyone at least once.
>>
>>43766815
SO YOURE GONNA RUN CYBERPUNK????? IM SO EXCITED I WANNAB A ROCKSTAR
>>
>>43766815
>damage control
sure whatever
>>
>>43765747
Timezone?
>>
>>43766857
>Clarification is damage control
Ouchie.

>>43766850
YEAH

>>43766843
Everyone here is obviously in a deep state of cyberpsychosis, unable to comprehend my advanced humour.
>>
>>43766949

I have regular psychosis and understand neither the ostensible offense nor the ostensible joke.
>>
>>43766945
EST
>>
>>43766974
Eh, don't worry about it. I don't even understand what I'm saying at this point.

Thing still stands, if anyone wants to jump in to a 3E game, I've got a slot open. Character archtype doesn't matter, play what you want to, I don't force people in to archtypes based on what everyone else is playing.

Though, to give the deets on who we do have, there's a:
Human Mage
Dwarf Mage
Ork Decker
and a Human Street Sam-oo-rai

Or if I've just failed my etiquette (SRG) roll, call me a choob or gonk or whatever derogatory cyberslang you can think of.
>>
>>43767045
Stop being a dramaqueen.
>>
>>43767077
Not making an attempt to, but thanks anyway.
>>
>>43767045
faggot
>>
>>43767173
You mean fraggot?
>>
What're the best and worst negative qualities?

Nominating Uncouth for worst and Biocompatibility for best, personally.
>>
>>43767452
Fuck why did I say biocompatibility, I meant the other one. Immune deficiency or incompatibility or whatever.
>>
Would hitting on literally every character be counted as 'uncouth'?
>>
>>43767472
i don't think thats "uncouth" so much as compulsive
>>
>>43767452
Untrustworthy or One of Them are the worst.

Best? Subjective to the character. But I'm a huge fan of Catlike and Natural Athlete.
>>
>>43767452
The best negative for my usual ware picks in 4e was probably Sensitive System. Even with mundanes the only piece of cyber I ever used was a discrete smartlink chip
>>
>>43767583
I meant negative qualities only, and corrected myself >>43767464 here. Reasoning as far as immune deficiency goes, it's basically a non-negative as soon as you get a toxin filter/nephritic screen/etc or avoid drugs. Until your GM comes down on you with chemical weapons, that is...

And agreed on One of Them because it supports the metaplot
>>
File: 9xhwatlh.jpg (43KB, 654x760px) Image search: [Google]
9xhwatlh.jpg
43KB, 654x760px
Have any of the corporations in Shadowrun history tried making "magic for everyone"?
>>
>>43767599
What does One of Them do?
>>
File: one of them.jpg (96KB, 303x388px) Image search: [Google]
one of them.jpg
96KB, 303x388px
>>43767608
Had it pulled up already, since I'm trying to find good negatives to fix a character sheet.
>>
>>43767603
Dunkelzahn's will includes a grant for the first corp or person who figures this shit out. So yeah, they're trying. I imagine Wuxing is probably going nuts over it considering they're the magic mega.
>>
>>43767603
>>43767622
has there been any work into making super algae mana batteries?
Living things affect the magic, right?
>>
>>43767622
the problem with grants, is you normally need that money before hand to fund a break through.
>>
>>43767452
I don't know what "best" negative means. One that won't dick you over or one that is just interesting?

Because Day Job and SINner are two of my go toos. But I REALLY like Emotional Attachment usually for something particularly stupid like a face with a genuine Hatori Hanzo Katana.
>>
>>43767651
Interesting ones, and best "value" (either roleplay-wise or mechanically) for the karma.
>>
>>43767637
Nobody ever said the big D's will made sense.
>>
>>43767599
I utterly hate when people take negatives that don't effect the character.

A very common one is Distinctive Style. It has the potential to be one of the most interesting negatives but is rarely used properly.

A guy in our group has it. A pair of full sleeve fiberoptic tattoos that run up both arms and join together on his back and front. But he always wears long sleeves or an armoured jacket.
>>
>>43767685
Yeah. Best quality and a quality I'd actually take are two very different things. I do like Distinctive Style, but I don't think that I'd be able to do it... properly, you know? Not something distinctive enough.
>>
>>43767685
how would you feel about "always wears that pair of sunglasses. always." as a distinctive style?
>>
>>43767705
With elves and orks being a thing I don't think it would be that distinctive. I figure both would have people wearing sunglasses 24/7 as a mix of fashion statement and "because I can"
>>
>>43767722
I will slowly add more parts of the greaser getup to this distinctive style until such time as it is allowable.

So, where on the scale would you say that is?
>>
>>43767694
>>43767705
I once played a Troll who always wore a cowboy hat, and had a pair of Super Warhawks modded to look like 1851 Colt Navys. This I considered distinctive enough.
>>
>>43767751
that's weird, I had the exact same idea but an elf.

Mostly because he has to be even dumber to be a risk junkie as an elf.
>>
>>43752707
10/10 would play
>>
>>43767757
Have a good story about getting into a quickdraw with elf pistol adept called Calamity Jane.

Had to burn an Edge to not die
>>
It's the chipjack that runs BTL chips and the like, correct? That is, in addition to regular softs.
>>
>>43767725
Pretty much the whole deal would be required I think. I played pic related once, minus the green skin obviously, took Distinctive Style.

I wonder if I still have the picture one of our player drew...
>>
>>43767685
Your GM should be docking them karma to pay off the quality, then. The point of distinctive style isn't 'There's something about me that makes me stand out', it's 'I want to stand out so I have this particularly flashy thing that I won't hide'.
>>43767791
Nope, simrig. Chipjack's for slotting skillsofts.

https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases/tag/5.177
Chummer release build's updated. Changelog at the link.
>>
>>43767803
Alright, but, in theory if someone had an image link, could they view video chips through their chipjack? Or is it specifically just for skillsofts?
>>
How much would you say a horse adds to your lifestyle cost?
>>
>>43767818
Alot.

>The easiest way to keep the cost of a horse low is to board him on your own property. However, if you live in an urban area or don’t have the facilities to properly board and pasture a horse, you'll need to find a stable in the area that can keep him.

>The cost of keeping a horse varies widely depending on where you live and the level of service your stable provides. Simple pasture boarding can cost as little as $100 a month. However, stable boarding can cost $500 or more.

>If you plan to keep your horse on your own land, you’ll also need to consider whether the property is adequately equipped. First, you'll need about two acres of good pasture per horse for grazing. You'll also need well-maintained barn space, particularly if you live in a cold climate.

>Most horse owners spend about $60 to $100 per month on hay, salt and supplements – and some spend much more, particularly if they feed grain.

>Maintaining your horse's hooves adds even more to the cost of a horse. Whether or not you plan to shoe your horse, you'll need to have a farrier check and trim his hooves every two months or so. This usually costs around $25 or $30. Add in shoeing, and you could pay $80 to $100 every two months.

>Routine medical care is an additional cost of owning a horse and includes vaccinations, de-worming and annual teeth cleaning. For a healthy horse, this can cost as little as $300 a year. However, if your horse gets injured or ill, you could pay hundreds or even thousands for a one-time treatment. Although you can't predict such expenses, prepare yourself for the possibility before you buy a horse.

Also that would be distinctive style. Also, Cyberhorse? I'd always considered it.

Though you're probably better off with a Harley and giving its pilot program a sim personality(horse).
>>
>>43767817
Hard to say. Once upon a time, chipjacks were datajacks that had their entire throughput dedicated to the ASiST channel, while proper datajacks had routers and such. Gut reaction says no.
>>43767818
According to Running Wild, a horse costs 2000Â¥ and adds 250Â¥ a month to your lifestyle, unless you're already operating a Luxury lifestyle. That's hilariously lowballing it though.
>>
>>43767906
>Hard to say. Once upon a time, chipjacks were datajacks that had their entire throughput dedicated to the ASiST channel, while proper datajacks had routers and such. Gut reaction says no.
Assume this is 2E Shadowrun. Is the answer still no?
>>
>>43767906
But are their rules for cyberhorses?
>>
>>43767864
Or you could get a centaur waifu and get her to carry you around.
>>
>>43767933
Doesn't even have to be a centaur if you can afford a liminal body mod.
>>
>>43767912
More likely to be no, actually. In some ways Shadowrun has managed to advance its rules and fluff.
>>43767914
Nope. You could emulate one with a cyberbody or drone, I guess.
>>
>>43767914
its called a motorcycle
>>
>>43767961
No, I mean a normal horse that is cybered up.
>>
File: f58b184569.gif (404KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
f58b184569.gif
404KB, 340x340px
Anyone got a slot open in their game?

I'm at GMT+3
>>
>>43767984
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiqmEibSY0I

listen to this while staring at ur picture
>>
>>43767961
Ah, yeah. Old shadowrun has a ton of really specific ware combination it requires. Sort of confusing at times.
>>
File: 1442980604154.jpg (76KB, 618x800px) Image search: [Google]
1442980604154.jpg
76KB, 618x800px
Ditto on looking for an online game. After accidentally stepping into the weird world of pbp, I'd like to not spend a month on the opening scene. GMT +10
>>
>>43768094
gimmie ur skype
>>
What engines are in vehicles in 2075?

Are they exclusively hybrids or electric? Do big dick diesel trucks still exist?

what about older vehicles. Say I want to drive a car from the 20th century, like a 60s shit box pick up truck or a 90s motorhome. How much of a downgraded performance do they have?

Would a dodge charger be able to keep up with a new sports car in shadowrun?

Could a 2015 ford f150 haul the same as a toyota gopher?
>>
>>43768262
>Most 2070-era vehicles use hybrid drives with a combination of solar power/electricity for inner city use, switching over to a combustion engine when needed. Most of these combustion engines use the common varieties of gasoline derived either from petroleum or biofuels, though many can be purchased with engines that use other fuels, such as diesel, methane, or hydrogen.
>>
>>43768309
I really can't wait for the rigger book to come out now.

I want to mod the fuck out of vehicles
>>
>>43768149
Huh. I've never used it. Would I have to?
>>
>>43768515
Not him, but most people here tend to use Skype for OOC stuff and networking in general
>>
>>43761198
Tried that, it must be some issue with the quality itself, because un-ticking the option gives me some restricted qualities (Brand Loyalty, for example), but not trust fund.

I also tried deleting all registry stuff for chummer that I could find and reinstalling it - still the same issue :(
>>
>>43768593
>>43761198
Oh fuckkkk I am literally the world's dumbest person, I had the "Only show qualities I can take" ticked. It all works now
>>
>>43767622
The grants are usually too small to be of interest to megacorps at all. How high is it?
>>
>>43768309
That's hilariously retarded. Cold fusion for 50 fucking years and they still drive a century old hybrid tech. What. The. Fuck.
>>
>>43768913
Cost-effectiveness? AKA. Do what is cheapest?
>>
>>43768925
When tech is 50 years old, it's usually dirt cheap. 'sides, you don't need a fusion reactor in the car, you need a socket you can plug the car into. And before anyone says an electric car isn't powerful, I'll remind you SR is apparently so ridiculously energy efficient in those terms that a max'd out troll cyber-body can run without a built in power source and from body heat alone. I'm not even kidding, it's right there in the fucking cyberware rules.

So, hybrid cars? That makes zero sense.
>>
>>43769019
If there's a plot hole, fill it with a conspiracy.
Who would profit from having a lot of free carbon dioxide in the air, or would profit from gas sales?
>>
>>43769026
Strictly speaking? Nobody. With all the magic crap around, off-shore mining and similar endeavours to gain fossil fuels can be considered major military operations. SR's magic vs. nukes stuff doesn't quite apply either, because it's relatively new and because cold fusion is a clean energy source, so that's gone as an easy way out. If you're playing in the USA, I guess you could explain it with consumer ego at least, but Europe and Asia have always been fairly gung ho about new tech, especially if it makes them independant of other countries. Given SR's unexplained energy efficiency, I can definitely see solar powered cars, too, but fossil fuels? Nope. Just nope.

Personally, for my game (now that my players know; they were the ones who found the cold fusion blurb in the timeline. I'd completely forgotten about it), I've had to instill two tech levels. One that is sold, which is ass-backwards, and one that the corporations keep to themselves and under strict reglementation. But that still doesn't really explain hybrid cars, so in my game, they're all electric.
>>
>>43769079
see, I would have just said 'DRYAD OIL BARONS ARE BEHIND IT ALL" because tree guys love CO2 and money.
>>
>>43769026
Gas is a (useful) byproduct of crude oil turned into plastics and other chemicals. It's cheap, but not necessary anymore.
>>
>>43768913
You and everyone else are driving an outdated 100-something year old tech right now.
>>
>>43769026
the government of course

holy shit I need to write a tinfoil hat campaign right now
>>
>>43769303
Right now, drilling for oil isn't a continuous war against a magically active planet and angry spirits.
>>
>>43769368
As long as you need to make plastics you still need to drill for it.
Thread posts: 362
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.