[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Math Branches to study

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: 20170520205818.png (3KB, 60x46px) Image search: [Google]
20170520205818.png
3KB, 60x46px
What are some interesting math branches to learn on my own. I recently learned Calculus for my Calc BC AP, and actually enjoyed it quite a bit. What are some other math fields that are equally interesting and will teach me a lot. I have taken an interest (but have not started learning) in topology and analysis.

What are some others you faggots would recommend to a brainlet, who wishes to unbrainlet himself. Also post examples from each sub-branch of math, so that I can get a feel of it.

Math branches I know of, and have a slight interest about:
- Topology
- Analysis
- Number theory
Also, quick challenge, what function is the pic the Taylor expansion of?
>>
If you liked calc BC, you'll like differential equations and complex analysis.
>>
Forgot to mention, I want to learn there on my own, in my free time.
>>
>>8923980
Differential equations was actually a part of the material to study. Probably not on a very high level.

Can you give an example of complex analysis?
>>
>>8923981
e^x
>>
>>8923966
Read a book on proofs like Smith's
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics#Proofs_and_Mathematical_Reasoning
Then read one of these:
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics#Overview_of_Mathematics
>>
>>8923987
[math]{partial} over {partial x} e^u = e^u {partial u} over {partial x} [/math]

>>8923993
Thanks anon, will check out.
>>
>>8923966
>Also, quick challenge, what function is the pic the Taylor expansion of?
You want an actual quick challenge? What's the function represented by
[math]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}2^{n+1}n(x-1/2)^{n-1}[/math]
for |x| < 1 ?

>>8923985
At your level something cool about complex analysis is evaluating infinite integrals such as
[math]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \sin{x}/x dx[/math]
which turns out to be [math]\pi[/math]
>>
Geometric measure theory.
>>
>>8923966
First learn some linear algebra from Hoffman and Kunze or Axler. Axler is easier for beginners. Now you have to learn analysis and algebra. Rosenlicht and Herstein are good. Once you've done that you should probably take a look at Spivak's calc on manifolds.
>>
>>8923996
Yeah, so it should be clear this is the Taylor expansion of e^x at 0.
>>
>>8924229
ew.
>>
File: maths.png (242KB, 1857x1396px) Image search: [Google]
maths.png
242KB, 1857x1396px
Here's a flow chart for major areas of math and their prerequisites. Start from the bottom
>>
>>8924480
Thanks anon! Thai si the kind of info I was looking for.
>>
>>8924480
Pretty sure you need single var calc for probability
>>
>>8924533
It goes Single Var. Calc --> Real Analysis --> Measure Theory --> Probability Theory

So knowledge of calculus is implied
>>
>>8924480
Some things should be added to this, like module theory, functional analysis, algebraic topology, algebraic geometry, category theory, homological algebra, lie theory, and maybe some others. But they're all very high-level math.
>>
>>8924177
if you evaluate the laplace of sin(t)/t in 0 you can solve it easier
>>
>>8925049
>laplace
confirmed engineer. >>>/lgbt/
>>
Complex analysis is really cool as an intro to topology (since the proofs use open sets) algebra (since the complex numbers are a field) analysis (obviously) and category theory (since the complex numbers have their own specific morphisms, the analytic functions)

It is the best babby intro to mathematical structure, I was lucky to have stumbled upon it as a first non-calc course.
>>
>>8924516
>>8924480
This is really incomplete.
>>
>>8925058
It contains all of the basics, and I mentioned some things that are missing: >>8924558 . It's impossible to learn all of mathematics anyway.
>>
>>8924177
""""challenge""""

Integrate because you can [use your favourite convergence test], get geometric series
[eqn]\sum_{n=0}^\infty 2^n\left(x-\frac{1}{2}\right)^n[/eqn]
which evaluates at [math]\frac{1}{2(1-x)}[/math] and its derivative is [eqn]-\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{(1-x^2)}[/eqn]
>>
File: Yd7iBD7.jpg (278KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Yd7iBD7.jpg
278KB, 1920x1080px
Algebraic topology? Algebraic topology!
>>
>>8925646
Alright. what's the largest set in which this laurent series converges

[math]\sum_{n=-\infty}^{n=\infty}a_nz^n[/math]
where
[math]a_n = \frac{1}{n}[/math] for n > 0
and
[math]a_n = 5^n[/math] for n [math]\leq[math] 0
>>
>>8926401
[math]\leg[/math] *
>>
>>8926401
>>8926406
[math]\leq[/math] **
sheesh
>>
>>8923966
personally, i like the principal branch
>>
>>8926401
cba desu, would have to get my complex notes out
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.