[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shut the fuck up about Mars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 25

File: mars.jpg (9KB, 289x175px) Image search: [Google]
mars.jpg
9KB, 289x175px
Bill Maher segment on improving Earth and stop chasing that idiot Martian dream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrGFEW2Hb2g
>>
>>8846685
Columbus, stop chasing that soon to be american dream.
>>
>>8846685
caveman stop chasing the fire dream
>>
>>8846685
coldwar-era americans, stop chasing that idiot space dream

the thing I love about naysayers like him is they have absolutely no impact on anything
>>
how to improve earth:
step 1 - nuke US, UK, australia and UAE
>>
>>8846685
We should be focusing on Venus rather than Mars though.
>>
>>8846685
A Mars colony could come in handy if we ever found an asteroid on a collison course with Earth.
>>
>>8846738
Yeah, the asteroid could turn earth into a dead planet where humans barely have a chance to survive and where the daily battle for survival is literally hell on earth. So basically like Mars.
>>
>>8846685
Why are American "comedians" the most unfunny people on the planet?

>We can trash Earth because we can go to Mars
...Said nobody ever?
>>
>>8846728
>Europoor still salty about his shitty union.

Everytime.
>>
>>8846685

He hit the nail on the head with that comment "I don't want to be a multi-planet species, fuck Mars, make Earth Great Again".

Instead of wasting billions of dollars on this... fantasy, we should focus on advancing what we have on Earth. And maybe one day in the future, when we're incredibly advanced, we can easily put together a spaceship and travel to Mars, if needed (which we don't).
>>
>>8846742
At which point we will have perfected the ability to live on mars - meaning its all fine.
>>
>>8846685
Well that was stupid. The exploration of Mars isn't a alternative to fixing shit on Earth, and we have the capability to do both.

>>8846729
>We should be focusing on Venus rather than Mars though.
That's stupid, and someone has tried to explain how stupid it is to you in almost every single one of these threads. Interplanetary permanently-airborne city-sized airships that can fly through acidic hurricanes are not trivial to build.

>>8846738
>A Mars colony could come in handy if we ever found an asteroid on a collison course with Earth.
No it couldn't. We're a long way away from the kind of technology needed for independent colonies. A Mars colony would be a large research outpost with some capability to make basic things, not a substitute Earth.

>>8846773
>He hit the nail on the head with that comment "I don't want to be a multi-planet species, fuck Mars, make Earth Great Again".
Fuck no. That's not "hitting the nail on the head", that's having such a bizarrely narrow view that everything becomes a dichotomy.

>Instead of wasting billions of dollars on this... fantasy, we should focus on advancing what we have on Earth.
Given they're both important things, shouldn't we be doing both of them?

>And maybe one day in the future, when we're incredibly advanced, we can easily put together a spaceship and travel to Mars, if needed (which we don't).
Strictly speaking, we don't "need" to do anything. Exploration and scientific discovery are things that we value, and giving up on that would be a major loss. If the only options really were "Earth gets fucked" and "never go to Mars" then of course Earth takes priority, but pretending those are the only two things to ever have money spent on them is beyond asinine.
>>
Why improve the earth when you live only once anyway? I'd rather improve my own life rather than endure hardships directly or indirectly for some future pipedream I'll never even get to see.
>>
File: 1492381098411.jpg (8KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
1492381098411.jpg
8KB, 250x238px
>>8846685
>Bill Maher
Yeah, I'm not watching that.
>>
>>8846787

Have you considered the fact that you being able to enjoy your life right now (internet, architecture, clean water/food, freedom etc) are the result of people before you who did their part to contribute to our society?
>>
>>8846796
You are saying everything they did was for my sake?
If you are actually thinking like that you have tremendous self confidence well beyond the borders of crazy.
>>
>>8846798
>You are saying everything they did was for my sake?
Reading comprehension is important.
>>
>>8846801
Then clarify your argument if you have any.
>>
>>8846802
Not him, but you're a fucking retard.

Our ancestors worked to secure a better future for themselves and their descendants

You are obligated to do the same.
>>
>>8846802
It's not my argument, but it's pretty obvious what >>8846796 was trying to say and you missed it by a mile.
You benefit significantly from the fact that other people have put some of their time in effort into make the world a nicer place to live in. In return, if possible you ought to be putting a fraction of your own effort into maintaining and expanding that.
>>
>>8846815

My point is the the "venerable people of the past" weren't making the world a nice place to live in for future generations and that can easily be affirmed by how they treated long term effects such as pollution, politics and so on. They lived and died without some great noble altruistic drive behind their actions.
I refuse to make sacrifices and endure hardships for some ill conceived cult's ideology promising bright future for generations to come and trying to guilt trip me or others in some way to do so is retarded. And yes, "improving the earth" or whatever that means does does in fact include present sacrifices in life quality under the promise of future benefits, and what's worse, unspecified future benefits for unspecified future generations.
>>
>>8846780
>Given they're both important things
>Going to Mars
>Important

lol what?
>>
File: great-laugh-reaction-gif.gif (510KB, 480x228px) Image search: [Google]
great-laugh-reaction-gif.gif
510KB, 480x228px
>>8846685
>mars colonies

JELLO BABIES
JELLO BABIES
JELLO BABIES
>>
>>8846728
>How to troll,
>mention something bad about US, UK, australia and UAE
>>
>>8846779
>Instead of this dead planet, we could live on another dead planet tens of millions of kilometres away where gravity is way too low for our bodies.

Also, an asteroid would actually not turn earth into a completely sterile planet with almost no water like Mars is. So earth will ALWAYS be more habitable than Mars, even if it comes down to the single fact that it has the right gravity for our organism.
>>
This is a false dichotomy if I ever saw one. The percentage of world GDP spent on Mars is amazingly small.
>>
>>8846868
>>8846868
Reading comprehension is important.

Learning to live on mars would prepare us for harsher living environments here on Earth - should such conditions come to pass.

Fortunately we'd have lots of brainlets like yourself to grind down for our hydroponic systems.
>>
Yeah if we don't shape up first they'll probably send niggers and shit. How the aliens will mock us.
>>
>>8846892

Hydro what, do you even know what your saying?
>>
File: God Damn It Son Of A Bitch.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
God Damn It Son Of A Bitch.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
It is more like,

IF WE DON'T DO THIS FIRST THE FUCKING CHINESE WILL DO IT AND YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS
>>
>>8846892
The hard part about colonizing Mars is getting there, setting up a shit potato farm is not hard, its just inconvenient as fuck.
>>
>>8846903
r-tard
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroponics
>>
>his mother, whose family was from Hungary,[10] was Jewish
Every time.
>>
I hate people like this. There's never a "right time" to do anything. You'll always be able to find some excuse.
>>
>>8846685
God what a little faggot.
>>
>>8846780
>No it couldn't. We're a long way away from the kind of technology needed for independent colonies.
Having a dependent colony would provide an incentive to further develop the technology.
>>
>>8846685
The US is at record debt levels due to spending on welfare so niggers don't chimp out and retarded wars on sandnigger land as Israel's lapdog in the Middle East. A Mars mission wouldn't make a dent on the budget compared to these things.

When the US got to the Moon debt was at its lowest level since WW2.

If it was up to the nigger-loving liberals and their negro pets mankind would have never reached space.

https://youtu.be/PtBy_ppG4hY

But I guess as the browning of America continues it will be up to the Chinese to continue civilization.
>>
>>8846927
The hard part is the lack of gravity and healthy degeneration that comes with that.
>>
>>8846780
>We're a long way away from the kind of technology needed for independent colonies.
You might be surprised. It's mostly a matter of transporting enough people to make a viable community. They'll adapt the technology they need.

For instance, you don't need computers, or anything electrical, or vehicles, to survive on Mars. They'd be nice, but there's no reason they're essential. You do need the ability to make, maintain, and supply suits, hand tools, houses, and greenhouses. That'll take a fair amount of sophistication in chemistry, and competence in pressure vessels (and probably pumps, although there could be workarounds for that).

Send 200 smart, practical people to Mars with enough stuff to live for 20 years, with all the information and seeds they might need and the mindset that they have to become fully independent, and they probably will not die out if all life on Earth disappears.
>>
File: us-debt1900-2015.jpg (37KB, 772x508px) Image search: [Google]
us-debt1900-2015.jpg
37KB, 772x508px
>>8847306
Pic related.
Welfare and wars for Israel bankrupted America, not the space program.
>>
>>8847311
>The hard part is the lack of gravity
What is with this jello baby meme? There's no reason to think that living in 0.4 g would have serious adverse health effects, other than tending to not be strong enough to be comfortable in 1 g if you move to Earth.

We have every reason to think that it'll be much more like living in 1 g than living in 0 g, where there's no up or down at all.
>>
>>8846685
He's absolutely right. Humans are fucking wrecking Earth and they can't live on Mars. Everyone would rather live in fucking fantasy land than do something.
>>
>>8847334
>So what if we evolved in a particular environment. I'm sure ones just as good as another.

You're a legit retard. Anyone who thinks changing the physical environment would have no effect on human physiology should try going deep sea diving sometime.
>>
>>8846905
There will be chink corpses on the Red Planet?
>>
>>8846844
Do you mean pregnancy or after pregnancy?

As I always say:High intensity mining two hours a day keeps the jelly away.
How to do this with babies though?
>>
>>8846780
>No it couldn't. We're a long way away from the kind of technology needed for independent colonies. A Mars colony would be a large research outpost with some capability to make basic things, not a substitute Earth.
A full Earth substitute is far fetched at this point, but given a reasonable level of steady funding (not even Apollo-level funding, mind you) we could do so much more than a dinky research outpost. Mars would be a great place for manufacturing and launching large spacecraft – unlike space manufacturing, most earth machinery still works fine there, resources are abundant, and the lowered gravity is high enough to nullify problems like flying shavings while being low enough to make building factories and get into space a helluva lot easier.
>>
>>8847468
Nobody is claiming that there will be no effects, but whatever effects there are will be greatly diminished. And as noted, 0.4g is much, much higher than any human spacefarer has ever lived in for long periods of time… for all we know, 0.4g might be well above the threshold of gravity required for the human body, but there's no way we can actually know until we get off our collective spoiled, risk-averse asses and actually put people on Mars.
>>
>>8846787

hope you never get children, and if you have children, I hope they have someone else than you to love and support them
>>
>>8849019
>there's no way we can actually know until we get off our collective spoiled, risk-averse asses and actually put people on Mars.
We could have started testing the effects of fractional gravity on human health in the 1970s with tethered-counterweight centrifugal gravity space stations.

The priority has never been on relevant science.
>>
>spinning habitat simulating martian or even lunar g
>several astronauts, more females than males though
>have them breed and run experiments until they all die

Why not? A whole mice-station should be easy to send in LEO with a single launch and will give tremendous amount of data on how things work in low g. I'm actually somewhat surprised it hasn't been done until now.
>>
>>8846685
I'll start listening Maher when he gets a PhD in anything related to science.
Until then >>>/tv/
>>
File: 1386006661260.gif (2MB, 230x175px) Image search: [Google]
1386006661260.gif
2MB, 230x175px
>>8849990
>muh chilrens
>says college aged millennial hipster
>>
>>8846685
always knew Bill Maher was anti-science
>>
>>8846685
Homo Erectus stop chasing that fire dream.
>>8846761
No America is the most dangerous threat to human civilization because the entire country is a jew weapon to destroy civilizations.
>>
>>8847455
How do you wreck Mars? The atmosphere can already kill you, its too fucking cold for anything on our planet to live on it.

Are HURR HUMANS WILL RUIN MARSfags just retarded?
>>
>>8850283

Musk suggested using nuclear bombs to cause global warming there.

I probably don't need to point out, but that's essentially turning the planet into radioactive wasteland in addition to starting the same process there that is destroying the Earth.
>>
>>8850306
How the fuck would nukes heat up the entire planet? The atmosphere is very thing meaning all of that heat will radiate into space in no time.
>>
>>8850309

The idea was to use the nukes to melt the frozen co2 in the regolith releasing it in the atmosphere and causing greenhouse effect that will do the rest on it's own.

Of course, it probably won't work and cause all kinds of problems but it shows how people are thinking and why it's a really bad idea to go to space.
>>
>wanting to stay on this planet
>>
File: zergtop.jpg (54KB, 600x317px) Image search: [Google]
zergtop.jpg
54KB, 600x317px
>>8850335
You see that gradual decline in the middle of the Asian line? That is because their space program finally took off and they started shipping people to colonies in every corner of the solar system and beyond simply to gain footholds over resources so they can usurp the space treaty and win this fucked up MMORTS we are all a part of.

>tfw i forgot about the Easter egg for this search result
https://www.google.com/search?q=zerg+rush

KEKEKEKE
>>
>>8850346
I hope that's true.
It means human civilization will continue.

The alternative is to stay here being swamped by niggers until the average IQ is too low for civilization to function.
>>
>>8846796
Its easy. Don't be an asshole, pick up the trash you leave after yourself you fat fuck.
>>
>>8846685
Aging hippy, liberal douche pothead says mars is dumb. I, the OP, wish so badly that i could suck his cock, but am unable to do so. I will spread the word of Bill "not a scientist" Mahr in hopes that he will one day he will recognize my worship of him by placing his wrinkly flaccid member on my tongue.

~OP 2017
>>
File: char4[1].jpg (78KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
char4[1].jpg
78KB, 1280x800px
Earth is horribly overpopulated.

There isn't enough for 7 billion humans and wild life. So we need to move humans off the Earth.
>>
>>8846787
The true rationalpill
>>
>>8851849
Large parts of South America, Australia, Asia, and Africa have no humans living in them at all.

Infact the Amazon rainforest particularly in Brazil's area is so vast that there are still prehistoric stone age savages living in them.
>>
>>8849019
>>8847334
>>8850252
We do tests, just not very long term ones. But we have rough idea as to the tension gravity causes to various organs and are aware of the various side effects of long term zero-G and how those come into play, in addition to having data on its effects on gestation on small mammals, etc. etc.

All of which adds together to tell us, so far as we know, near 40% gravity isn't going to be a real problem for healthy adults, but it maybe for developing children and the elderly.

Granted, we won't know for sure until we have some long term research outpost on Mars - there's always unforeseen consequences, but yes, jello babies and VIIP are meme-tier on Mars.

Albeit, assuming you're going to see a Mars colony in any of our lifetimes is equally meme tier. I'll be impressed if we just land someone on the damned thing.
>>
File: realistic_criteria.png (17KB, 259x372px) Image search: [Google]
realistic_criteria.png
17KB, 259x372px
>>8846685
Obligatory...

I never understood this argument... I mean, if all the science in the world was being done by one guy in his basement, it'd make sense - but it's not as if we don't have enough folks to work on both. (It's also not as if NASA is a significant portion of the federal budget these days.)
>>
File: af-undernourished.jpg (39KB, 792x391px) Image search: [Google]
af-undernourished.jpg
39KB, 792x391px
>>8851955
What's the need for so many people?
I'd rather live comfortable eating beef and wheat with ample space around me than living cramped in commieblocks eating insects like the UN suggests we should do by 2050.

Besides, it's not the Amazon Indians breeding out of control but the fucking niggers in Africa. They already have malnourishment issues. Entire nations in Africa depend on foreign food aid.

These people should NOT be reproducing.
>>
>>8846685
It's fine and good to push the boundaries of science but holy shit we're wreaking havoc on Earth already.
>>
>>8851955
>>8851994
Also your claim is bullshit, Except for a few countries, most of Africa and South America are already as cramped as the USA and much of Asia is as cramped as Europe.
>>
>>8846685
I hate american tv shit, do you burgers have a fetish for clapping?

Holy shit, stop clapping so much
>>
>>8846685
We should never have wanted mars anyway
Saturn is where it's at

Only there can you live in a methane cloud with the gravity of 300 earths.
>>
File: TiMEonTitan_720.jpg (43KB, 960x472px) Image search: [Google]
TiMEonTitan_720.jpg
43KB, 960x472px
>>8852019
Or a methane sea with the gravity of the tenth of one.

How do all those methane breathing space faring races in science fiction manage to discover fire anyways?
>>
>>8852030
>A moon full of natural gas
>Of course the Americans would land there first instead of Europa.
>>
>>8851955
we need the Amazon rain forest and the forests of russian and canada to keep the oxygen levels up.

the ocean algae that scrubs CO2 out, is dying off.
>>
>>8852030
they wouldn't

aquatic intelligent life wouldn't discover fire either.

no fire, limited technology development. as they cannot access a power source.
>>
>>8846688
you could argue that if the new world was never discovered/settled the earth would be a better place.
>>
>>8852069
Well, with aquatic life you've always got a chance to evolve and come up on land, especially if there's geological activity resulting in a lot of tide pools with munchies in them.

But it seems of both the sea and the air are full of methane, you're just fucked. Was always curious of some sci-fi ever came up with an excuse for this bullshit - save maybe being "uplifted" by some other space faring species.
>>
>>8852069
There are already types of aquatic life that create plasma and electricity. There's also lava and hydro thermal vents. Any intelligent species can go from there.

>>8852103
>>8852030
You need oxygen to start and maintain a reaction. Which is why you can have fire underwater if you have a proper oxygen source. Which is why stuff like sparklers and thermite burn underwater.
>>
>>8852280
Okay, now try that in methane.
>>
File: Funnier.png (386KB, 402x617px) Image search: [Google]
Funnier.png
386KB, 402x617px
>>8846685
>God! stop trying to improve things unless it's solving unsolvable problems of the human condition!
>Unless we are living in a utopia nothing new can be attempted or invented!
>The fact that new ventures and the innovations needed to make them happen may bring about changes and technologies that may improve the situations I am complaining about in the process is irrelevant!
>We need mo money fo dem programs instead!
>>
>>8846688
Columbus was an idiot who thought you could sail the long way around the world and not die of starvation before you got to the other side. He would have died were it not for his incredible good fortune.
>>
While I disagree in principle, I do agree with him to a certain extent. I want to explore Mars because of the scientific understandings we can learn about the planet and its geological past, and believe we should set up scientific outposts on the planet for that purpose.

At the same time, large-scale colonization of Mars is simply unfeasible and unrealistic. Mars is a cold, dry planet with a thin atmosphere and no magnetic field, we don't even know if humans can survive in such an environment long term outside of large domes that are radiation shielded. We have such little knowledge of Mars and how we would even survive there in the first place. It would require tremendous resources to transport the supplies necessary to survive there.

Look how much trouble we have living in a place like Antarctica. Then compare that to Mars. Only living on Mars is exponentially more difficult than living on mars, not only in terms of logistics, but in the impact on human health.
>>
>>8852351
>tremendous resources
It's peanuts compared to what is already being spent on many other endeavors of questionable value.
>>
the primary idiot dream I'm chasing is that bill maher will shut his dumb fucking mouth
>>
>terraform small parts of mars
>only allow scientists/engineers to immigrate there

what could go wrong?
>>
>>8852433
honestly there should be an autoban for people who say "terraform" or "colonize" in this board
>>
>>8852381
The fact is Mars will never be habitable. It won't ever have a magnetic field, and without that there's not really a long term path to terraforming the planet.

Meanwhile, we're literally terraforming Earth as we speak, altering the climate into something that is going to have massive repercussions in the future of our civilization, as well as to other species on the planet that can't adapt to rapid climate changes. It only makes sense to simply solve the problems on Earth first, and not colonize Mars. Studying Mars should be in the name of science, not in a retarded "preservation of humanity" nonsense. Fuck, it would be easier to colonize the fucking moon, since regardless people are going to be living in a low-g, environmentally sealed dome, and the Moon already has water on it as well, and shelter in the some craters on its surface.

There's far too many problems to deal with on Earth to even think about large scale colonization of Mars. Earth is the only home we have in our solar system, we lose that and there's no point to Mars at all.
>>
>>8850271
>projecting
>>
>>8846685
>Earthcucks
>>
>>8852433
>There wouldn't be any fire fighters.
>There wouldn't be any plumbers.
>There wouldn't be any electricians.
>There wouldn't be any farmers.
>There wouldn't be any (insert job necessary for maintaining a daily civilization)
>>
Colonization is not for us meatbags. Our biology makes it too difficult. If Musk is serious about colonization, he should invest ALL of his time and effort and resources in NeuraLink first. Colonization is for AI, whether that AI is "us" or not.
>>
>>8852450
You don't have to choose one, you can do both. We have enough people to do that and then some. Besides that, there's a shitload of people who'd be critical to Mars mission and infrastructure that'd be damn near useless when it comes to environmental efforts, much how an electrician isn't going to be much assistance to a plumber or a chef to a bricklayer.

>Fuck, it would be easier to colonize the fucking moon
No, it wouldn't. Yes, it's closer, but everything that's harsh in the environment of the Martian surface is many tens of times worse on the Lunar surface. Mars is like Hawaii compared to the Moon.
>>
>>8850276
>always knew Bill Maher was anti-science

Bill Mahar thinks science exists only to smash religion and Big Oil.
>>
>>8846685
I've never understood why anyone gets a boner for colonizing Mars when there are 4 perfectly good oceans to colonize.
>>
>>8846773
We are already spending trillions on war. $450 billion to get to mars isn't that bad. Hell, banks receive bigger bailouts.
>>
>>8852582

>Musk
>serious about anything
>>
>>8852701
>450 Billion
Over 13 years mind ye - that's less than half of what we spend on school lunches, and our school lunches are pretty shit.

>>8852700
>Muh ocean colonies
That helps, but there's still shit that can happen that'd wipe those out, even if they were to become self sustaining.

But yeah, it's good practice, and we can do both. In some ways, it's actually harder, engineering wise.
>>
>>8852700
There's no reason at all to "colonize" the oceans. We can access all of the resources of the oceans while keeping our permanent residences on land.

Anyway, we're leaving little enough of the wild biosphere on Earth. I'm against invading every corner of it just so we can be crowded in like the mice in Universe 25.
>>
>>8852700
because they aren't really interested in colonization, they're interested in touristy
>>
>>8846685
I would have never guessed that by 2017 Bill Maher would be the least annoying liberal on TV.
>>
>>8852700
Cause ocean women are all fish faced?
>>
>>8854108
It's about long term survival, not resources or living space. Despite all the fears, there's a fair amount of the former and plenty of the latter, we're just crowding up in centralized locations out of necessity of distribution and employment opportunities - not because there's too many of us. (Not that things wouldn't be easier if there were less.)

Self-sustaining habitats in the ocean solves about half of your apocalypse scenarios, and gives good practice to get started on the other half, but it's true, ocean habitats have airborn resources so close at hand, you don't have much motivation to ensure that they are actually self-sustaining, which means they won't be as useful when the biosphere inevitably dies.
>>
>>8846685
Aliens are using retards to terraform earth.
>>
>>8846868
>>8846779
There are actually asteroids large enough to effectively sterilize the Earth, one of which passed between us and the moon in the 90's, and we didn't see it until after it had gone by. This is not uncommon, as not all asteroids are particularly reflective, and radar doesn't really help unless you already know where they are.

But asteroids are probably among the least of our worries. X6+ solar flares, GRB's, germ warfare - there's a million different things that could kill us all or utterly wreck this biosphere. We tend to discover one or two new ones every decade, and once in awhile, invent a new one ourselves.

It's true, for most of those disasters, re-terraforming the Earth would be easier than terraforming or even just colonizing Mars, but unless you have a concentrated self-sustaining well-off population of 64K+ hidden somewhere deep underground, or on another planet, there'll be no one left to fix the Earth.

Further, eventually and inevitably, the Earth will be rendered even more inhospital than Mars, and further beyond that, the whole solar system will be dead. Sure, you've got nearly a billion years before one and another four before the other, but any number of catastrophic setbacks could happen before then, so the sooner you get started on the project, the more likely you are to have something going before sudden death possibilities give way to slow death inevitabilities.

We invest more for toys in fast food kid's meals than in our space program efforts, so it's not as if we don't have the resources to spare for a common sense effort.

It's just hard to motivate folks, as there's only so much profit in survival.
>>
>>8852291
For pure methane to ignite you need 2 oxygen molecules for every 1 methane molecule. Meaning that lake of methane needs 2 lakes of oxygen to burn.

Thus, using thermite or a sparkler in liquid methane will not light the methane on fire, but it will burn a small amount for however much oxygen it can grab from the thermite/sparkler.
>>
>>8852433
We lose the smartest human minds and Earth plunges into dark ages.
>>
>>8854130
>Self-sustaining habitats in the ocean solves about half of your apocalypse scenarios
No, it solves none of them. There's nothing you can accomplish in terms of surviving extreme events by living in the ocean that you can't accomplish by having underground shelters, which is a cheaper, easier, and more robust solution.

Anyway, what's the likelihood of an ocean habitat being independent, when they've got such easy access to land industry and agriculture? Anything they built would be in competition with the stuff on land.
>>
File: 64.jpg (57KB, 439x480px) Image search: [Google]
64.jpg
57KB, 439x480px
>>8852014
The WOO!!!!! is even worse than that clapping.
>>
File: 900px-Explosive_Rage.jpg (139KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
900px-Explosive_Rage.jpg
139KB, 900x900px
People against space exploration in any form, need to be exterminated asap. Call me the edge master. I don't care. There is quite literally nothing more important for any advanced species, than exploring this universe and beyond.

The advancements through space exploration will solve most if not all of the serious problems facing humanity on Earth.
>>
>>8847306
>We're not on mars because niggers
Why do we get blamed for everything?
>>
File: 1444868541001.jpg (11KB, 325x216px) Image search: [Google]
1444868541001.jpg
11KB, 325x216px
>>8854589
>Call me the edge master. I don't care
>>
>>8854210
>more inhospitable than mars

bruh
mars dont even have an ionosphere

at worst, earth will approach the environment of mars over a long long period of time
>>
File: 1492903746267.jpg (85KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1492903746267.jpg
85KB, 680x680px
>>8854589
>The advancements through space exploration will solve most if not all of the serious problems facing humanity on Earth.
kek
>nothing more important for any advanced species
top kek
>>
>>8846685
>bill maher
no
>>
>>8854357
Underground works too - but both ways solve half your apocalypse problems - and assuming anything survives (which they'll tend to in the case of GRB, flare, or raining fiery death), you've got better food sources in the ocean.

Either way though, they both have the same problem: Classic surface support is too readily available. Even most regular cities aren't self sustaining, because they don't have to be, and it'd take a lot of discipline to cripple one's own development by forcing an underground or underwater city to be so.

When ya set a colony up on another planet, you've practically got not choice but to be self sustaining.

>>8854636
Note the timeline on that scenario. Eventually, the Earth will be too cooked to support any kind of life even in the ocean and miles underground, and the ionosphere ain't gonna make a lick of difference at that point. At that same point, all Mars is going to be is a bit warmer. (But given how much time left you'll have before the whole solar system dies, at that point, you'd better be onto the next stage.)

Though, on a side note, a foot of water or dirt solves or inches of metal solves your radiation problems on Mars. The gravity is a bigger problem, but only for colonists raising kids, not for visiting researches. Even then, there are ways, just not going to know the details as to which will work until we get said visiting researches there.

Granted, the fact that we've not even gotten said researches there is a sad fact, but also makes the conversation kinda moot.
>>
>>8846685
>shut the fuck up about the moon
>>
File: hawaii.png (749KB, 1268x720px) Image search: [Google]
hawaii.png
749KB, 1268x720px
The size of Hawaii on Maher's globe is so shitty.
>>
>>8846773
>we
Fuck off with that shit
>>
File: angry trymp.jpg (146KB, 1160x629px) Image search: [Google]
angry trymp.jpg
146KB, 1160x629px
>>8846685
we'll make mars pay for the rockets
>>
>>8846685
Oh fuck off Bill. You spend your days taking advantage of young black girls that fuck for money.
>>
>>8856707
>we'll make mars pay for the rockets
Funny enough that is actually part of SpaceX's plan.
Since they plan to process martian methane into rocket fuel for the ITS's return trip.
>>
>you can only do one thing
>>
Mars one-way is entirely feasible in 3 years. Pay now to rush Red Dragon back on schedule so there's a demonstrator next year. That gives you your capability of repeatably landing substantial payloads on Mars.

You also want Bigelow (currently planning to launch a large commercial space station in 2020) to refocus its efforts on a small, simple transit hab which can start orbital testing no later than 2019.

And you've got to get SpaceX working on a stretched upper stage for Falcon Heavy, which can survive in LEO long enough to dock with a payload for an Earth departure burn. This will make launching Red Dragons cheaper and possible at a higher rate (two launches with full booster reuse, rather than one fully expendable launch), and with a fully expendable launch, will make it possible to launch 30 tonnes to Mars transfer, which is plenty for the transit hab and a Dragon.

One demonstrator Dragon to Mars in 2018, then in 2020, six supply Dragons and one crew launch. Whole program should be doable for $1 billion/year, if you cut out the usual NASA bullshit that strangles everything interesting to death.

After that, you're committed to at least another resupply every window (roughly two years and two months apart). If the ITS program goes well, they could have the option of getting home as early as 2024.
>>
Isn't that what retarded rednecks said about the moon?
>>
>>8846685
>people actually think we are going to get humans living and dying on mars within our life time.
>>
>>8854589
This is the only dude here who gets it
>tips fedora
>>
>>8851987
Fuck off back to >>>/r/eddit with that shit faggot
>>
>>8857610
>Implying reddit isn't exactly the sort of place that believes we shouldn't ecologically fuck up Mars before we fix all the problems on Earth.

>Implying Bill Maher isn't reddit incarnate.
>>
>>8846685
>>8857601

"To place a man in a multi-stage rocket and project him into the controlling gravitational field of the moon where the passengers can make scientific observations, perhaps land alive, and then return to earth—
all that constitutes a wild dream worthy ofJules Verne.

I am bold enough to say that such a man-made voyage will never occur regardless of all future advances."

-Lee De Forest Says Space Travel Is Impossible, Lewiston Morning Tribune via Associated Press, February 25, 1957
>>
>>8857619
>implying implications
I was talking about that leReddit comic and
>...
>>
File: 1479930212100.jpg (73KB, 999x439px) Image search: [Google]
1479930212100.jpg
73KB, 999x439px
>>
>>8857660
Not /v/ but you get the point
>>
>>8857630
Eclipses are now reddit.

Paragraphs are now reddit.

Memes are now reddit.

I just can't keep up with this shit anymore.

The weird thing is, the one time I did to to Reddit for some retro-game question, I had to use some odd shift-enter combination to get proper paragraphs, and it kept converting ellipses to some erroneous UTF-16 character.

Meh, enough of the meta - back to dogging on Maher! (Though that's probably reddit too. Is "meh" reddit? Are parentheses? Fuck you internet culture, I just don't know anymore!)
Thread posts: 136
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.