[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

uni

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 330
Thread images: 51

File: 1456249084260.png (347KB, 540x412px) Image search: [Google]
1456249084260.png
347KB, 540x412px
Can we get a uni thread?

What university are you going to and what course are you doing?
How do you like it?
>>
I go to UCLA, and I'm currently doing math major, trying to do the honors program there. I like it a lot, although my Analysis prof is pretty terrible, my Linear Algebra prof is a beast. I'm doing Complex Analysis Honors, Second Quarter Honors Real Analysis, and Second Quarter Linear. I'm enrolled in Differential Geometry but I heard the prof is a fuckwit, and the class is at 9am, so I'm probably gonna drop that one.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-12_08-45-48_.png (96KB, 752x688px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-12_08-45-48_.png
96KB, 752x688px
I've got a dilemna. I was planning to do the PhB program at ANU. It's a research degree and you basically get to work with people in Academia from the start.
However, I got a good enough score to get a full scholarship to Melbourne Uni. Melbourne is less appealing in that you're forced to do "breadth" courses similar to the American system. Can anyone at either of those two universities comment on what they're like?
I'm planning to do maths if that changes anything.
>>
I go to Cornell for EE. So far everything is alright. I had a shitty chem class that I finally finished. Now I'm studying for my calc 3 final. I expect it to go fine after it's all said and done. I used to be in a shitty OO Java class but I dropped it because I didn't like the structure of that class at all.
>>
Edinburgh uni. EE
It's kay
>>
Clarkson University for AeroEng.
DON'T COME HERE.
>>
>>8532256
I'm probably gonna get all As this semester. I don't have anyone else to tell this to but I'm proud of myself.
>>
>>8532322
Good shit fampai
do it next semester too
>>
>>8532328
Thanks man.
>>
>>8532322
Fucking NERD!
>>
Physics
Quantum Mechanics
Mechanics
Getting my ass kicked
>>
>>8532377
Wait. Your take take mechanics AND QM at the same time? Are you retarded?
>>
UBC
Math
Really enjoy it. Almost never go to class, just get to shitpost all day and waste my life
>>
>>8532256
What's /sci/'s opinion on Physjcs with Astro at Manchester? Got an offer to go there next september.
>>
>>8532383
It's not like I'm taking it for the first time, so no? But I am really dumb when it comes to QM, regardless.
>>
If I can get a 66 on my physics and calc and 80 on my chem finals I'll have straight As but I hate it here
>>
>>8532395
What school? Why do you hate it?
>>
I am doing a very specific uni about wine and grapes, I am first and second year courses at the same time so I can get my degree in two years and half.

What I am doing so far (entry level biology, basic oenology, microbiology, some statistics, agro meteorology) is kinda boring but compared to my first degree (master's in chemistry) there is nothing I hate reading about. I don't really like the people though, don't get me wrong I had no problems and everyone is nice, there is no specific reason but I don't like them.
>>
>>8532398
Just an unremarkable tech school. It's way up north so it's very cold up here, it's 70% men here, and it's situated in a small village. Nothing to do other than get drunk off your ass every night or go bowling. Also this place is the epitome of the dunning–kruger effect, everyone thinks they're smart because they're going to a b-list tech school. I went here because it was my cheapest option, and the academics are fine, but I really wish I went to a bigger school.
>>
>>8532264
I'm looking at going to UCLA for medical school but I hear the town itself is poluted and violent. What do you think of it? And do you know anything about the medical program there?
>>
>>8532451
Oh I see. I happen to love the cold but I can understand it being 70% men can fuck you up if you're a social guy.
>>
University of Waterloo
Computer Science
It's aight.
>>
>>8532389
Astro is a meme with no funds.
>>
>>8532476
it's an amazing medical program, you just have to ask yourself if you want to live there.
I got into UCLA for undergrad, and while it was technically the "best" school I got in to, I chose to go elsewhere. YMMV.
>>
>>8532256
This will sound ridiculous and meme tier to anyone who is reading it.

But I do two degrees at once through two different universities. One is a full time in Computer Science and Math, with minors in Latin and Greek. The other is Military Science and History at another University, doing a few papers by distance.

It seems a little weird, and it is a long story. But I seriously enjoy it and want to conjoint them together one day.
>>
Georgia Tech. Computer Science. I like it
>>
>>8532537
A lot of people tell me that Georgia Tech is shit tier because of no women and they try to fail you.
>>
>>8532525
I hope you're not paying double tuition.
>>
University of Washington

Biochemistry

The competition here is so retardedly cutthroat. Jesus Christ, but it's kind of a nice atmosphere.
>>
>>8532546
You can meet women outside of school .
>>
File: fuck fuck fuck.png (11KB, 708x119px) Image search: [Google]
fuck fuck fuck.png
11KB, 708x119px
>>8532256

Texas State University

- Majoring in physics, double minoring in math and CS
- God, i hate it here. worst physics program ever. i only came here because UT' and A&M deadlines was past and Texas Tech was too far.
- forgot what i'm taking next semester. but its mostly CS and 1 physics course.
- hate hate hate hate, this is my third year and i'm not sure what to do or even what to do with my major....
>>
>>8532561
I'm actually shit socially so I'm genuinely curious. How?
>>
WHY ARENT YOU STUDYING
>>
>>8532612
me >>8532579

because my teacher never really taught, and i've kinda accepted failing. I only have 3 finals left
- CS (intor) which I know i'll pass
- Linear Algebra which i have time for
- Physics ( heat and waves )

what about you?
>>
>>8532617
I'm just a Freshman but, 5/7 finals are done and BIOL 1 is tomorrow and CHEM 2 is Tuesday. I'm glazing over my notes in between shitposts.
>>
>>8532620
yea, kinda just watching review vids for linear
dont fail
>>
Wrapping up a Master's degree in genetics at Pitt.

I'm trying to choose between the molecular biology programs and genetics programs in Chicago and Duke, respectively, for my doctorate. Does anyone have experience with these two programs?
>>
>>8532631
I can't but, I'm at risk of losing an A if I do badly enough in both. Life was so much less stressful when I didn't try.
>>
>>8532638
aint that the truth. do you get some little cheat sheet?
>>
>>8532643
That would be nice but, nope. The most we get on the chem exam is the table and some formulas. The worst part is that it's entirely multiple choice.
>>
Considering transferring to Georgia Tech for Aerospace Engineering. I have a 3.9 CGPA and 2000 SAT. Can I/should I do it?
>>
>>8532389
Dunno bout astro but physics at manchester is pretty good
>>
File: wsuLogo.jpg (325KB, 2000x719px) Image search: [Google]
wsuLogo.jpg
325KB, 2000x719px
>Wayne State University
State school in Michigan that none of you have probably heard of. Decently big research school in Michigan and known for it's medical program.
>Mostly a commuter school, but I live on campus where there is a pretty tight-knit community.
>Freshman majoring in "pre"-ChemE
>Not very sure of quality of Engineering program yet
>currently wrapping up first semester (definitely will land 3.5-4.0 depending on how Calc II final goes)

>Chem program is supposed to be decent and felt like my Orgo I professor did a pretty good job with the course

Considering transferring after next semester depending on how it goes. Not sure how worth transferring to U of M/ MSU / MTU would be in the grand scheme as long as I can find internships.
>>
>>8532451
That's extremely similiar to how my Mom described Michigan Tech when she went there for her undergrad.
>>
File: oxford-logo.png (71KB, 1181x1181px) Image search: [Google]
oxford-logo.png
71KB, 1181x1181px
any yall here?
>>
>>8532451
RPI by chance??
>>
>>8532271
Nice scores brah

I do commerce at Melbourne, can't really comment on the Science of it but the campus is really nice. Really close to the cbd as well so you're close to everything.

I dunno about ANU but I'm fairly sure Melbourne is the most prestigious in the country (especially in regards to research) so if you've got a full scholarship i'd go there.
>>
>>8532890
Nope, didn't get in there. My HS grades were trash. I'm that Clarkson faggot that posted above.

>>8532848
I imagine it's a fairly common issue
>>
>>8532476
>>8532264 Here, I really like the area surrounding UCLA - it's pretty lively, with a decent variety of food. Furthermore UCLA was just voted into having the best food in the nation for a University, which I could see; the food in the dining halls are very good. The town is LA, so it's very polluted, but when you're on campus there's plenty of trees so the air feels relatively fresh.

The only thing I know about the medical program here is that it's hard as fuck, and the students are very competitive.
>>
>>8532910
Just realised ANU offers a scholarship too. I think I'll go there.
Lots of people describe Melbourne to me as a bit impersonal and oldfashioned.
>>
>>8532858
>oxford
>yall
pick one
>>
University of Houston
Geophysics
minor in Math
>Best geophysics program in the world... niggers
>>
>>8533127
*yale
>>
>>8533073
Which types of dishes does the cafeteria serve?
>>
some shitty college in Texas
I hate what I study so it doesn't really matter
>>
Toronto
EE

1st year has been shit, but if I can maintain a decent GPA, I can enroll in some god tier grad school courses like Operating Systems and Inference Algorithms that CS monkeys can't.
>>
>>8532256
Vienna, Math
>>
>>8532256
Source?
>>
>>8532387
math, Vienna, again
kek, same here, first semester seems like a joke xD
They do have one class for all the swag kids, 'the art of problem-solving'. Actually learned some shit there
>>
Any grad students here?

I'm in my first semester of a theoretical physics phd. Browsing grad school forums, it looks like most grad students do insane amounts of work, and that has me worried. So far my degree takes about 10 hours a week on average -- 3 hours each to read the book and do the homework for my 3 classes (I don't bother attending lecture, just exams), and 1 hour to do my TA duties (grading homeworks). I have office hours, but nobody shows up and I just work on homework then.

Seems like a really easy 30k/yr. I've even started tutoring 5 hours a week and my yearly income now comes out to 40k for 15hr/wk. Does it actually get worse? It seems like most people who complain online are in humanities or they do experimental work. Can't seem to find opinions of theoretical physics people (every other student at this school hates theory and loves experimental, so I can't get an answer here)
>>
Mid Sized east German city no body knows
Computer Science
>>
why am i doing it
it would be so much easier just to die
>>
File: 1480806842847.jpg (164KB, 1440x2296px) Image search: [Google]
1480806842847.jpg
164KB, 1440x2296px
>>8532256
Kent
Chem
Board out of my fucking mind
>>
>>8532612

Because I'm done.

Had my last final friday night. I'm at UCSD. Chemistry major at the moment, but I want to switch to Mathematics/Applied Science.

I took Orgo I with the campus harder professor (my friend who finished ochem said that his Orgo I class is harder than the honors Orgo II and III class, and with test averages hovering around 35%, I believe it.) I finished with a 51% in his class, with the standard deviation above being 60%. He says he curves up, so I'm hoping I get like a B or B+. FUCK that class was hard.

Also took Linear Algebra and Multivariable Calculus. Multivariable I did well in with perfect scores both midterms and an 88% on the final.

Linear... was really hard. I got a 90 on the first midterm, a 62% on both the second midterm and the final. It was ENTIRELY a proof based course. The first midterm was just a fucking trick. We did no calculations beyond that midterm.

Worried about my grade in that class. I'm kind of a brainlet.
>>
File: Math.png (7KB, 263x192px) Image search: [Google]
Math.png
7KB, 263x192px
I went to trade school to be a Welder. Now that I have my Journeyman ticket, i'm taking Power Engineering by distance education. The school is SAIT, and so far it's alright. I hate math and the first part is pretty much all math.
>>
>>8533640
hate will bring you nowhere young padawan.
>>
File: PEngPartA.png (47KB, 1635x268px) Image search: [Google]
PEngPartA.png
47KB, 1635x268px
>>8533646

I'm learning, my friend. So far i'm just taking my time understanding the definitions and the basic examples of each part. I guess it's kind of cool how I was pretty much mathmatecally retarded , but now am understanding a bit more every day. A bunch of the units are math based, so I kind of have no choice but to learn to like it.
>>
UCLA.
Neuroscience.

First 2 years is basically same as any other Life Science major. Intro Chem, Biology, Physics, etc.
>>
UT Austin - Bio/Pre-med/faggot
>>
Found a program at my school to get my Math Master's in four years, so I'm doing that and a extra German major because languages are fun.

It's a University of Alabama...
I fucking hate football.
>>
>>8532549
UW here too
Neurobiology

Tell me a fucking bout it.
They think they're Ivy League or something.
>>
>>8532256
Who is this semen demon?
>>
Any of you memers go to MIT? I'm gonna attend winter school there from new year
>>
>>8533421
They have their own OS course and better ML course than the shitty ECE one.
>>
ETHZ, CS, shitton work but i like it
>>
>>8532858
Yah, second year chemboii. Life is bretty gud so far. the organic is painful as hell tho
>>
>>8533747
Jelly. What were your qualifications to get in? Masters or bachelors? How do you finance it?
>>
Lund university
Analysis in one variable and python brogramming
>>
>>8532491
Praise feridun, Mr. Goose and paninos for disruptive learningp
>>
>>8533820
currently finishing BSc, i had a decent high school diploma ~top 5-10% of class. Financing is pretty easy - living in student housing, and salaries for even the shittiest jobs are crazy here, coding pays off a lot
>>
File: UTT.jpg (164KB, 1480x524px) Image search: [Google]
UTT.jpg
164KB, 1480x524px
>>8532256
Probably nobody know this uni, right ?
>>
>>8532617
I've had teachers like this, if they don't teach they usually hand out B's at the end of the semester so no one reports them.
>>
>>8532842
>going to wayne
>for engineering
LMAO
Transfer into MSU if you can. U of M isn't worth it for undergrad, but I would consider going there for your masters if you want one.

t. MSU engineering student
>>
anyone from strathclyde here?

if so

fuck off?
>>
University of Cambridge. Natural Sciences.
>>
>>8533127
im RP speaking british irl fa'm.
>>
>>8534315
why does memebridge memes so shit?
>>
>>8532322
I'm in the same boat, anon. Coming back to school after I stopped due to lack of motivation and direction. First semester back and all A's!
>>
File: Rutgers_University_New_Brunswick.png (239KB, 1024x794px) Image search: [Google]
Rutgers_University_New_Brunswick.png
239KB, 1024x794px
Rutgers

Physics

Pretty good, although I'm first year so classes are babby-tier.

my favourite part is the shame of not getting into an ivy because of how badly I fucked up highschool. who else /scarletletter/ here?
>>
>>8532637
Are you going into research? I'm planning on changing my major to Biochemistry/Biophysics.

I hear its hard to get a job unless you have at least a Masters and experience. I'm mostly worried about gaining lab experience, is it possible to do so while working on a bachelors if you get to know the professors in 3rd/4th year?
>>
>>8534315
>tfw I used to make fun of the redhead on your womens rugby team at secondary school

>tfw she is more successful than me even though she was more tryhard than intelligent.

Hope she's learned how to cut loose desu.
>>
at community right now and will be transferring to UTEP because its the only place in my shit area thats accredited and I don't want to drown in student loans. would apply to do my masters somewhere better probably
>>
>>8534327
There isn't any shame to going to literally any Northeastern State School's main campus for undergrad (for New York consider the University Centers to be main campus) except Rhode Island, Maine, and maybe New Hampshire
>>
File: UniversitLogotif.gif (10KB, 305x308px) Image search: [Google]
UniversitLogotif.gif
10KB, 305x308px
>>8532451
>it's very cold up here, it's 70% men here, and it's situated in a small village. Nothing to do other than get drunk off your ass every night or go bowling. Also this place is the epitome of the dunning–kruger effect, everyone thinks they're smart because they're going to a b-list tech school.

holy fuck you just described this place.
>>
File: IMG_1377.jpg (79KB, 330x428px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1377.jpg
79KB, 330x428px
>>8534488
>maybe New Hampshire
I got into all the UMass's and UVM but my parents couldn't afford the out-of-state tuition please end my life
>>
>>8532451
>it's 70% men here
My school is about 95% guys, it's not that rare
>>
University of Cincinnati for my PhD in physics
Particles and fields II
Quantum Mechanics II
Statistical Mechanics

I like the department but shits hard.
>>
File: 1452468270541.jpg (64KB, 969x484px) Image search: [Google]
1452468270541.jpg
64KB, 969x484px
Universität Göttingen

Doing my master's degree in math. I'm interested in PDE and stochastic processes. Lectures are pretty good, but most knowledge I gain from self-study.
>>
>>8534510
A bunch of schools fit the description of 70% male, cold, tech school that aren't good outside their region. As examples in the format of school-city-region it is useful in:
RPI-Troy-Mid-Atlanric
WPI-Worcester-New England
Colorado School of Mines-no clue-Rockies
And many more, Georgia Tech might fall into this category but they have a bit more fame, a bit of a role model for the rest.

>>8534512
You should have oppurtunities in New Hampshire, just don't sit on your ass and visit the career office and shit.
>>
File: list.png (11KB, 411x428px) Image search: [Google]
list.png
11KB, 411x428px
Any chemfags here want to tell me what some schools with good chemistry programs that aren't ridiculously overcrowded and cut-throat? I'm in CC right now and I have probably around 3-5 months before I have to start applying to places. Pic related is the list of all the schools I'm applying to, what do you think?
>>
>>8534305
What do you mean not worth it? Obviously it's more competitive. I'm thinking I could have more fun in East Lansing though.

Definitely hoping to go to U of M or MSU. U of M might prevail though cause I live within 10 minutes (and I'm a lucky kid who has parents that will pay for their education). I'll just need to take Orgo II, Physics I, and Calc III next semester and maintain my 3.5+. I'm just worried about losing some credits.

WSU is dead as fuck on the weekends but I guess that is less distraction. Kinda regretting fucking around in high school.
>>
>>8534126
go back to /r/uwaterloo faggot
>>
>>8534588
>what do you think?
I think you're a weeb.
>>
>>8534588
>Tokyo
>Oxbridge
>UC Riverside
I think you're a fucking memer. Fuck it, if you're willing to move to Japan just for undergrad, might as well apply to all the Ivies and MIT as well.
>>
>>8534588
Don't do pure Chem, do Chemical Engineering. If you take my advice, go to one of the great Cali Engineering schools or go down south / PA (Lehigh comes to mind) where natural gas is becoming a big deal.
>>
>>8533710
What are you taking?
>>
File: 1424544214739.jpg (42KB, 712x712px) Image search: [Google]
1424544214739.jpg
42KB, 712x712px
>>8535046
>I think you're a weeb
I think you should shut the fuck up.

>I think you're a fucking memer

What makes you say that? I'm just trying to apply to as many schools as possible that have a >10% chance of accepting me that are also reasonably renowned. Most of the Oxbridge literally has a higher acceptance rate than most Ivies, which is why I'm applying to them. I don't get what's wrong with todai and riverside, they seem like good schools. I'll go anywhere that gives me good financial aide, I'm just broadening my horizons.
>>
>>8535051
I don't want to be a engineer though.
>>
>>8535065
You don't know what you want.
>>
ASU as a freshman in Software Engineering

I think it's pretty okay but dislike all the junk I required like humanities and success courses.
I like it but it's boring so far and started to consider getting a double major in Applied Mathematics and SE.

Any tips or advice? I've been thinking about it for a couple of days but it looks like buttrape.
>>
>>8532256
Can someone recommend me a good UK university for math with average entry requirements?
>>
>>8535067
I want to study genetic molecules, so I'm getting a chem major and probably specializing in something like Ochem, biochem, or molecular bio once I know more about the field and complete my general education.

I mean you're right, I don't completely know what I want, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather be a researcher than an engineer. Are you an engineer Or do you regret not being an engineer or something? Give me some anecdotal argumentation here.
>>
File: LZTHRLjO.jpg (18KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
LZTHRLjO.jpg
18KB, 512x512px
>>8532398
Sounds a bit like Tandon
Over 70% acceptance rate, recently merged with NYU.
Kids who got rejected from Community college go to Tandon.
They represent the Engineering Meme
>>
>>8533166
Literally almost anything you'd like, check out the menu on the websites, just Google it and you'll be able to see
>>
>>8533073
Do you know how hard it is to get into any undergrad research at UCLA? I hear UCLA is a good school, but it's so ridiculously crowded that it makes me worried that actually getting accepted into any research programs would be quite difficult.
>>
Has anyone here gone from a shitty school to a prestigious one through transfer? Can you talk on that experience?
>>
File: frogman.jpg (2MB, 6000x5606px) Image search: [Google]
frogman.jpg
2MB, 6000x5606px
>>8532387
>UBC
>tfw were both always here
>>
>>8535079
Chem Engineers can do research
>>
>>8535127
But if I want to focus on research, and either pathway provides a good education, but the engineering pathway is 10x more competitive and autistic, I seen no reason not to just go with pure chem with a focus on my field of choice.
>>
>>8535135
Chemical Engineering sounds cooler
>>
File: 1430160326897.png (249KB, 520x486px) Image search: [Google]
1430160326897.png
249KB, 520x486px
>>8535138
I mean you're not wrong
>>
>>8535135
I was the one who originally suggested being ChemE, though I agree with the other guy.

Being competitive in ChemE is about the same as being in Chem. The ChemE course load is tougher, but passing your classes is your goal. If you go Chem major, you're competing with premeds and other try hards.

Getting your 3.0 in ChemE will be just as easy as getting your 4.0 in Chem.

Your job offers will be exponentially cooler. Research in ChemE is what will be winning nobel prizes and field honors in the upcoming decades. Pure science is being replaced by applied sciences.

Source: Was biology, switched to BioE, opportunities expanded exponentially.
>>
>>8535148
To play devil's advocate, there are many women in Chemistry (I think 60-40 Men-Women)

You could pick up some Chemistry Cu Eu Ti
>>
>>8535149
>you're competing with premeds and other try hards

Good point
>Research in ChemE is what will be winning nobel prizes and field honors in the upcoming decades

Interesting. I will have to look into that, I've been disregarding engineering for a while, but it seems like it would be well worth my time looking into it a little more.

By the way, what would a bioengineer even do? Isn't that just like a chemical engineer that focuses on organic molecules or something? What inspired you to switch majors?
>>
>>8535162
I am not him but bioengineering is probably having mostly to do with medicine unless of course you do research.

And you should ask around at college in order to find out more, but take everything everyone says with a grain of salt (especially here).

Engineers can always do research related to their field and very often do. ChemEs can do Chem research, BioE can do Biology research, and so on.
>>
>>8535162
I'm interested in pharmaceuticals, and my school has a biopharmaceutical track that's linked to the chemical engineering department.

I made the switch because I was taking biology classes, then went to go see a lecture on bioengineering. Changed my life.

The lecturer talked about straight science fiction stuff. Growing mushrooms on sawdust, what the Weiss Institute at Harvard is up to. It's incredible the difference in what you will be researching in applied sciences rather than pure sciences.

Bioengineering isn't particularly well defined yet. I guess I can give an example as the what a ChemE / BIOE hyrbrid would look like.

A doctorate friend of mine is looking into designing drug delivery systems. Currently you take ~100-1000x the amount of drug needed to be effective. If you take a tablet antihistamine to counter swelling, you're taking enough so across diffusion of the whole body, the correct dosage reaches the target site. What if we could design a drug delivery system that goes straight to the target? It would save costs and whenever processes become more efficient, other research can be done to make it more effective.
>>
>>8535168
>(especially here)

People here often give me better advice than my counselors. It's pretty easy to tell when someone here is BSing, it can be quickly looked up and I have less respect for a wall of text than for a human being. Counselors and professors seem to be full of garbage at least half the time.

I'm agree with everything you said though for the record.
>>
>>8535162
Sorry, Wyss institute.

Here's a link to what I think will be the defining medical invention of the early 21st century.

https://wyss.harvard.edu/technology/human-organs-on-chips/

>No more animal testing
>Genetic specific testing
>No need for pre phase III clinical trial

If it goes well, this will literally remove 95% of the cost of R+D into drug development, and if you're into animal rights, will completely remove the need for cruel testing.
>>
>>8535186
That's incredible, I agree, it's like a job that a science fiction character has. I'm not sure if that's what I want to do, but when I say "not sure," I actually mean that I'm not sure. Very well might be something I'm into. Thanks for your story though.
>>
>>8535204
If you're set on chemistry you're actually going to be probably safe until maybe your 2nd semester Sophomore year or early Junior year to switch back and forth.

Both Chem and ChemE students will end up taking two levels of general chemistry, two levels of organic chemistry. Two levels of physics, two levels of Calculus (Engineers take 3-4). Among other distribution requirements changing from school to school.

I would recommend getting the ball rolling as soon as possible if you want to do ChemE, because anyone can learn how to do it, but the concepts and study habits take some getting used to.

Try to get into a research lab for both, or at least look into what the relevant research labs are focused on. Make your decision based on that.
>>
>>8535072
cambridge
st andrews
oxford
ucl

not imperial its just r9k. not lse just rich dumb kids.
>>
>>8535072
>>853532
>average requirements
>oxbridge/ucl/st andrews
Try manchester, bath, bristol, southampton, nottingham
>>
>>8535124
Hey grad school friend. Hope your research is going well
>>
File: logoescom.png (58KB, 1224x857px) Image search: [Google]
logoescom.png
58KB, 1224x857px
>Mexico

Escuela Superior de Cómputo (ESCOM)

Computational Systems Engineering

Have been struggling with linear algebra (eigen vectors) and circuits with complex numbers, I'm actually covering all my issues with two books:

Linear Algebra - Paul Dawkins

Electric Circuits - James W. Nilsson
>>
American University of Beirut
Currently majorless planning on transfering into Electrical and Computer Engineering
>>
>>8535113
It's actually fairly accessible, depending on your major. You just have to have a certain gpa and know about the material
>>
>>8535689
NO
>>
>>8532271
Melbourne all the way buddy! PhD in Math & Stats = $$$ in Retail industry.
>>
>>8532256
I go to Iowa State for Chemistry as a grad student. It's going pretty nicely.
>>
File: IMG_0279.jpg (97KB, 1280x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0279.jpg
97KB, 1280x900px
>>8533080
You will be miserable at ANU.

Why?
1. it's in Canberra.
2.There are lots of Indians there.(Indians are smelly and are just scum in every sense of the word.)
3. Melbourne is ranked first in Australia.
4. Sanctuary Saturdays is in Hawthorn, a suburb in Melbourne. This is where a lot of intellectuals go to mingle. (Do not under estimated how important it is to know other people in the academic community. It is a small world and this is how great ideas are formed. through mingling.)
5. Melbourne is the most cultured city in the southern hemisphere.
>>
Utah state
State schools are fine too r-right? Atleast i have a 4.0 so i can probably get a scholarship if i transfer to university of utah. Double major maths and philosophy, basically a walking meme .
>>
>everyone is from USA/EU
just like every thread. baka
>>
>>8535088
I go to NYU main campus (Biochemistry) but I had to run an experiment at a Tandon lab once. The lab I worked in was a lot nicer IMO
>>
>>8535689
CA
>>
>>8532710
Come on over! You can't be dumber than the other fucks here.
>>
Going to Uni of Sydney in a few months
Mech E
What to expect studies-wise? How will be the quality?
>>
File: 1472449789078.png (160KB, 490x480px) Image search: [Google]
1472449789078.png
160KB, 490x480px
>>8535689
literally meme school
>>
File: UQlogoC-colour-M.jpg (149KB, 1441x411px) Image search: [Google]
UQlogoC-colour-M.jpg
149KB, 1441x411px
>>8532256
university of queensland.
>>
>>8532491
Heeyyyyy mathphys here
>>
>>8532710
>3.9

Enjoy your graduating 3.2 GPA
>>
Anybody here go to missouri s&t?
>>
>>8535216
In addition to this it is easier at most schools to transfer from ChemE to Chem. I would recommend going to ChemE first and switch to Chem once you have a better grasp of what you want.
>>
File: JOjmSQU.png (693KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
JOjmSQU.png
693KB, 1366x768px
>>8532264
>>8532279
>>8532290
>>8532316
>>8532387
>>8532537
>>8532549
>>8532579
>>8532637
>>8532710
>>8532842
>>8532858
>>8533135
>>8533421
>>8533554
>>8533626
>>8533659
>>8533683
>>8533699
>>8533710
>>8533747
>>8534265
>>8534309
>>8534315
>>8534327
>>8534517
>>8534522
>>8535047
>>8535689
>>8535746
>>8535788

I reported all your respective IT security departments at your colleges. Hopefully 4chan will be a banned site on your college networks soon. :^)
>>
>>8532264
Do you remember an annoying cunt of an Asian named Jesse Han? He loves logic and category theory. God what a cunt.
>>
Applying for PhD in math in the following places:
University of Wisconsin-Madison
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Ohio State University
Dartmouth College
Stony Brook University
University of Michigan
New York University

I am Canadian. What are your opinions on the schools I've listed?
Thoughts
>>
File: Joker 2.jpg (71KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
Joker 2.jpg
71KB, 1152x864px
>>8536430
Absolute madman
>>
>>8536430
Nice try I'm behind 7 proxies and I'm not even on the school network
>>
File: _91075668_paolo_m-8699_v3.jpg (32KB, 624x420px) Image search: [Google]
_91075668_paolo_m-8699_v3.jpg
32KB, 624x420px
Karolinska Institute, MD program. 1 year left until i get my degree, I've already been offered the money to pursue a PhD which would open the door to academic surgery.
>>
>>8536430
Nice try faggot, i live alone off campus, and i use 4g on campus because my school network is unreliable
>>
>>8536430
>I reported all your respective IT security departments at your colleges.
I wasn't even at college, lel
>>
>>8533457
>>8533708
"Clever? Solution" by Syati Kamaboko.
>>
I go to a low tier school. This benefits me in the long run though because it's easier to get better grades here. I'll then proceed to btfo all of the ivy league premedfags who worked their asses off trying to stay on the curve when they 5 Jimmy Neutrons in all of their classes.
>>
>>8532290
I was thinking of changing to do EE at edinburgh instead of materials at the uni i am at now
I already sent an application
Is it worth?
>>
>>8535072
Loughborough
Manchester
Edinburgh
Birmingham
Exeter
>>
>>8535655
st andrews and ucl arent crazy high.
also anyone doing maths at uni must be pretty good at maths.
>>
what kind of software do you guys use for uni?
>>
File: 1478806979847.png (42KB, 738x312px) Image search: [Google]
1478806979847.png
42KB, 738x312px
>>8535829
>>
>>8536435
I'm an undergrad at Stony
I hear lots of good things about the grad program (both applied and pure). Math undergrad is okay but I think the profs care more about the grad students. AMS seems alright at boht levels.

Shitload of Chinese students which seems to bother some.
>>
>>8533554
>Kent

Same, I'm doing EE. What year?
>>
Opinions on University of Florida?
>>
>>8537505
Very good regional public school - the best in the South after UNC - Charlotte.
>>
File: 4eKWnjL[2].jpg (312KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
4eKWnjL[2].jpg
312KB, 1080x1349px
>>8532476
Are you really this fucking stupid? UCLA is in the richest part of LA you faggot.

pic: Common LA girl
>>
File: 1481116233013.png (365KB, 992x909px) Image search: [Google]
1481116233013.png
365KB, 992x909px
>>8532612
I don't know.
>>
>>8534338
My aim is to learn techniques that will help me get a job in private sector research. I did do undergraduate research, but I knew someone who set me up with a job so I don't know how you'd get a job without connections, just talk to your professor in office hours I guess.
>>
do you go to UNC Charlotte?
>>
>>8533640
khan academy and patrickjmt if you need help
>>
>>8534588
you sound like a faggot
usc has the best looking women and a good name value
>>
>>8532451
Michigan Tech?
>>
>>8535069
ASU is worse than a community college
>>
>>8535689
Just learn how to make a burrito for the white man Poncho.
>>
File: IMG_6424.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6424.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8532637
Just finishing my Masters at Cal State University in Bio (Molecular Bio and Immunology).
I applied to a bunch of UC schools for PhD programs in Immunology/ Infectious Disease, but if I don't get in, I will just look for Molecular Bio research and diagnostics jobs in SoCal.
>>8532264
How's the living situation? Super expensive? I'm in Long Beach and if I get accepted to UCLA should I give up my cheap current arrangements and move up there, or stay and commute early in the morning?
>>8534338
> I'm mostly worried about gaining lab experience, is it possible to do so while working on a bachelors if you get to know the professors in 3rd/4th year?
Depends on where you go, but I would go on the website and look up what research projects the faculty have going on when you are a sophomore/junior. Ask them about their work and join a lab that sounds interesting ASAP.
>>8537627
That's what I was thinking (am from MI) but Tech isn't cheap. My best friend went there and failed out due to serious depression from the weather, Comp Eng homework, and only snowcows to look at.
>>
>>8535746
State schools are good stop being a faggot

>>8536435
>not using the full name for SUNY Stony Brook
Its like you aren't a jew or something

>>8537505
According to US News they are the 2nd best State School in the South. Probably will get you anazing connections within the state like how other big State Universities do.

>>8537513
>UNC Charlotte
You mean UNC Chapel Hill right? UNC Charlotte is pretty bad
>>
>>8537800
>You mean UNC Chapel Hill right? UNC Charlotte is pretty bad
correct
>>
File: 1462405197643.jpg (10KB, 307x250px) Image search: [Google]
1462405197643.jpg
10KB, 307x250px
>>8535708
Noted, thanks, I expected a much more negative answer. What kind of research have you applied to? What percentage of positions did you get into approximately?
>>
>>8535689
That's a pretty shit school bro.
UNAM here. Finished everything. I'm starting with calc 4, other topics in linear algebra and some analysis. Feeling pretty good.
>>
>>8536398
Yes and I can't wait to be done of this place forever.
It's every bit like >>8532451
The job offers coming out of this school are nice but I don't know if it was worth it in hindsight. I could've gone to Mizzou and just fucked off for 4 years and have a higher gpa.
>>
File: 1475027272933.png (769KB, 994x720px) Image search: [Google]
1475027272933.png
769KB, 994x720px
Who else /lostallmotivation&direction&nowseriouslydoubtingmyowncompetency/ here?

Feel like I'm stuck in a serious mental rut
>>
File: OSU.jpg (229KB, 961x1013px) Image search: [Google]
OSU.jpg
229KB, 961x1013px
CS major, math minor

>tfw surrounded by normies
>>
>>8532256
paris
school name's : 42 (no joke)

computer science and yep, it's cool
>>
>>8538045
osu same, second year cs
>>
File: 1413133074932.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1413133074932.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>8532256
I'm at UW majoring in Geology.

I love it, but I've heard a LOT of depressing shit about it after graduating, like not being able to find work. But I have a lot of connections with other geology firms and pretty good grades, so I feel a bit better. What are your guy's thoughts?
>>
>>8538083
Sounds solid. Rock solid.
>>
>>8538083
My dad has a high-paying job in groundwater management and is a geology major if that makes you feel any better.
>>
>>8538090
That does. It's what I'm looking into mainly careerwise after graduating.
>>
>>8537287
Stony really appeals to me. I might see you there.

>>8537800
I'm... not a Jew, actually. Not even at all.
>>
UVA
chemistry
kind of lame. doing research is cool tho
>>
>>8538098
are you from virginia originally? what attracted you to UVA?
and what other schools did you apply to
what year are you in
>>
File: UVA.jpg (22KB, 325x271px) Image search: [Google]
UVA.jpg
22KB, 325x271px
>>8538100
yes live in nova

i didn't put much effort into the application process when i was a little shit in high school so just applied to mostly state schools and some ivys for reach. it was basically either UVA or W&M and now i'm a little shit in college.

accepted: UVA, VT, JMU, W&M, Wake Forest
rejected/deferred: UNC Chapel Hill, Yale, Columbia, some others out of states

currently 3rd year. go for UVA if you're applying now. or W&M if you think you can survive 4 years there.
>>
>>8538115
why'd you go for UVA and not W&M just curious

im not from virginia... I'm from canada and done undergrad. but many people i know in the usa recommended uva because its 'near ivy' quality and because virginia is nice.
>>
no UC Berkeley here?
Math undergrad, the upper div honors courses are fucking me in the ass.
>>
>>8538118
the whole "public ivy" list is a bunch of nice schools that are generally well regarded for quality education and engaging student life. it's not really yale but pretty sweet deal for the price of a public school. general consensus is that UVA and W&M offer the same value in education.
UVA campus is pretty nice, the whole UNESCO world heritage site. W&M is more isolated (boring imho, not to mention the suicide rates) and attracts a different crowd. party school vs. the other school. can't complain too much about virginia. the people can get pretty stale i guess.
>>
>>8537980
I'm starting there in the fall. I have mixed feelings about it but ultimately I just want a job at graduation. I guess if it's as shitty as everyone says I'll just transfer to Mizzou. Never really was a "party" type but also don't exactly fit into the autist category which seems to make up the majority of the school.
>>
>>8538083
Washington or Waterloo?
>>
>>8538115
>rejected/deferred: UNC Chapel Hill, Yale, Columbia, some others out of states

For some reason it makes me happy to see other suffer rejection from the top schools like myself. Rejected by the good CA schools currently attending a reject University of California campus - the mediocre UC Irvine - but it is basically free so no complaints.
>>
>>8538100
Keep in mind after the top private school you have the big four publics that offer similar quality and great prices for local students. These would be UCBerkeley/UMICH/UTAustin/UVA, then on the next tier you would have schools like UCLA/Wisconsin/Florida/PennSt etc.

Where it becomes tricky is a CAL degree vs a degree from reject Ivy like Cornell. In California a CAL/UCLA degree would be better than a Dartmouth or Brown degree, and you will find similar circumstances in the Chicago area with a Michigan degree vs a Duke degree.
>>
>>8533751
Second year chem at oxford too here. What college?
>>
>>8536430
LOL
My campus doesn't allow access to 4chan but it also blocks damnlol so I use 4g in the library.

My uni halls have a seperate internet connection we share between 5 of us that I can do anything on.
>>
>>8537630
How so anon?
>>
File: 1479016042077.jpg (172KB, 588x393px) Image search: [Google]
1479016042077.jpg
172KB, 588x393px
>>8537999
>Tfw burnt out as fuck
>Tfw got a medical card
>Tfw all motivation will so be gone.

Fuck I should look for some internship out of country to give me a breath of fresh air.
>>
Can anyone here give me advice on shit-tier colleges that are not that bad to do grad school at?

I am not smart enough nor do I have good enough grades to get in anywhere competitive, or nice. I just want a mid-bad-tier school in terms of quality that I can get a decent masters/phd at?

tldr: Hidden gem schools, bad/mid/shit but actually not as bad as their reputation would have you believe.
>>
>>8539425
I heard UC Riverside has a good grad program for STEM, and everyone always shits on Riverside
>>
>>8539425
Elite grad schools are filled with people from all kinds of schools. A free ride to a mediocre undergrad is very tempting to many people, and this is how these schools get their prime students. Your grad school test scores is your chance to show you are the equal of the private school grad. Also, getting into grad school for most majors is not that hard because each masters in 100k for the school, so the system needs a constant flow of students to keep the lights on. Professional schools are the hardest, but even there you will find the Shit State grad going up against the Duke grad on equal footing.

You need to take honors course, research, patented, things like that to stand out come grad school time.

The smartest guy I know went to USC - full 100% scholarship - not one dollar out of his pocket for anything. He is currently at a top five law school, and his main competition is a guy who went to Cal State Northridge (a good regional school).

These people all attended the worst UC school in the system Riverside, and went on to great grad schools, so it can be done.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/swarneke
https://www.linkedin.com/in/allenmruiz
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scott-morgan-99864579
https://www.linkedin.com/in/melissamikail
>>
>only thing I want to do that I won't hate is literally a meme with no jobs, and if i do manage to get a job i'll make 30-40k a year

why is life suffering
>>
File: 1465685892711.jpg (100KB, 395x450px) Image search: [Google]
1465685892711.jpg
100KB, 395x450px
>>8536430

Opera has a free VPN. Anyone with a USB can run tor. Also screenshots or fuck off :^)
>>
>>8539425
"Hidden gems" are highly field dependent. For example, one of the best schools in numerical relativity is Florida Atlantic University. Also try Canada.
>>
SUNY Stony Brook University
Math/Economics Probably
Pretty Decent I guess
>>
>>8538211
Washington.
>>
File: QueensU_Crest.svg.png (240KB, 808x1023px) Image search: [Google]
QueensU_Crest.svg.png
240KB, 808x1023px
Senior year of HS, shit GPA but 35 ACT, trying to get into pic related for Computer Engineering

Am I fucking up?
>>
>>8539411
I'm failing the same class repeatedly anon, don't you use that card to get derailed, because I don't know how to get my life back on track and no one seems to have any advice for me.

>>8539895
Where do you find ranking systems for grad schools/particular programs & fields of study? Which do you use? I can't into university rankings to save my life, and I'd like to at least try to be proactive.
>>
>>8538045
>>8538071
Starting at OSU next fall for physics.
>>
Georgia Tech
ME
I fucking love it.
>>
>>8532256
>might have been caught going to the bathroom to look at something on my phone because I logged into the school website and looked at shit

haha im fucked
>>
>>8540517
become a dj at the radio station, trust me
>>
File: university-of-maryland.jpg (24KB, 307x267px) Image search: [Google]
university-of-maryland.jpg
24KB, 307x267px
physics
exam tomorrow and i havent started studying :^)

i fucking love the physics program here, all the professors are either autistic adorable spergs or suave guys you know could easily pull undergrad puss and theyre all geniuses and really nice
>>
Any Northwestern Uni niggas up in here?

fuck this cold ass normie university desu

Premed/stats major/faggot
>>
>>8533848
Tjena mann1! Lund här också! Vilket år och vilket program?
>>
>>8535746
>"atleast"
>4.0
stay in your lane
>>
>>8540961
Does it trigger you that ain't is considered a word? Language is ever changing and defined by usage, lots of retards like myself say atleast accidentally or on purpose so it may as well be a word. Linguistic prescriptivists need to be gassed immediately.
>>
>>8540974
lmfao
>>
>>8540742
Hey there fellow terpanon. May testudo bless u on your finals.

I'm a math major but took phys270 freshman year.
>>
>>8535323
>>not imperial its just r9k
and cute asian chicks like my gf ;)
>>
File: 0pZWUY[1].jpg (23KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
0pZWUY[1].jpg
23KB, 600x600px
>>8540975
not an argument
>>
>>8532256
>University of Amsterdam
> Physics and Astronomy

Fucking kill me now, this is boring as shit
>>
>>8539895

It just seems so damn tedious to go through hundreds of schools grad school pages to find all their research areas. I really just want a good school that is easy to get into bottom line. Some of the schools in the midwest only require like 2.7 GPA for their masters programs, of course all of those are garbage and my GPA isn't that low. but... whatever.

bottom line : I need some 100% sure to get accepted backup grad schools that aren't total trash?
>>
>>8536435

I did my undergrad (Applied Math, and Chemistry) at Stony Brook.

Depressing and boring place to live (living on campus without a car), but excellent academics. Make sure you have a car.

If you get in to the math program and go there, two math professors who do interesting work (and are also helpful nice guys) are joe mitchell (in applied math) and lowell jones (in pure math)
>>
>>8539425

I am currently in the chem PhD program at the city college of new york/graduate center

Fucked up a lot in undergrad (only a little research, 3.02 gpa, although "final half of undergrad" gpa was about 3.3) so I didn't apply to high tier places.

I"m surprised at how many quality papers come out of our department, and we have lots of faculty who PhD'd or postdoc'd at ivy schools. Everybody wants to live in NYC now, so we can attract faculty who are a bit "too good" for us.
>>
>>8541260

I was really looking into city college actually, but the issue with it I ran into was that they say explicitly on their website that they don't fund their masters programs (at least that was how I read it) I wouldn't want to live in NYC if I weren't getting paid, the loan amounts I would have to take out would be astronomical.
>>
File: sci.png (188KB, 805x847px) Image search: [Google]
sci.png
188KB, 805x847px
Looking at doing an actuarial science/ mathematics double major.

Pic related would be the courses I'd have to take. Anything not in there that I'm missing out?
>>
>>8541376
Also, I'd still like to join a club or two, go to football games, and go out every once in a while

Would I not be able to do that if I did this double major? Perhaps instead of math major do a math minor?
>>
>>8541376
i dont understand, where is your science?
>>
>>8541384
Do you know what actuarial science is?
>>
>>8532579
visited texas state a few times and sat in on some classes because I was dating a girl there. I got the impression that everyone at that university is mildly retarded. my ex always got pissed when I mentioned texas state as being a party school. Transfer out anon
>>
>>8541394
a meme
>>
>>8538828
>Tfw 2nd year Durham because my GCSEs were too shit for oxford
>>
>>8536524
I have nothing to really compare it to, but it's alright. Sometimes it's a bit impersonal, and in my class you had a lot of people who knew jack shit before they dropped out because engi was too hard (No idea how they got in, in the first place). Quite theoretical at times, but if you can overlook the shitty classmates and stick with the ones who want to succeed and can motivate yourself to work on problems on your own since the unity isn't great due to the large class sizes, then you should be good.
The lecturers are great, after dealing with the initial onslaught of brainlets, if you show that you are willing and bring your own lube, they'll show you a good time.
>>
>>8534588
I don't really know much of the inner workings, but Rice just had "Fuck Chem Night". It's the wildest and loudest post-final shouting you'll hear at this place
>>
Cambridge
Physics
I'm slowly giving up my hope of being anything but mediocre. Also I've been lazy for a few weeks and I'm feeling the heat. I kind of hate this.
>>
>>8541692
Dude, you're attending cambridge physics. You're pretty much better than 95% of all the undergrads in the world.

You fucking put your army boots on and tough it out. Fucking Cambridge. You're not mediocre, you're smartocre and don't let sci tell you otherwise. If you finish Cambridge, that shit will be an achievement in your life that you will be proud of later on.
>>
>>8541692
Part III maths here, used to do physics.

When I started at cambridge I didn't do anywhere near enough work. I got a 2.ii in my first year. Then a 2.i in second and a 1st in third year and now 4th year is going pretty well.

At school I'm sure you didn't do any real work and coasted through like me. It takes time to develop good habits don't worry. Just remember you have to work over the Christmas break and summer and you'll get a first. Keep up the good work
>>
>>8541777
My progression has been sort of the opposite of yours. I got a 1st (barely) in my first year, a 2.1 (despite trying my god damn hardest) in my second year and I just flat out do not see myself getting a first this year. I don't think I'll do particularly badly, I think I can get a 2.1 which is fine but not very exciting.

I just feel like over the past two years there's a gap that has grown between the better students and me. I can barely keep my head above the water and bridging that gap seems nigh impossible. The material is harder and more plentiful than ever.

I've been sort of sick for over a month and that hasn't helped. I have done very little work over the holiday so far and though it's not irredeemable I'm kind of shitting my pants.

>>8541732

The longer I spend at Cambridge the less inclined I am to think that doing so makes me any better than people from other universities. If you do well here you probably are on top of your shit but fodder is fodder wherever you go.
>>
>>8541910
Not him but while fodder is fodder, at top colleges like Cambridge who is actually fodder is very different from fodder. A certain grade at Cambridge that would make you fodder at another college isn't fodder at Cambridge.
>>
>>8541732
>>8541910
>>8541926
this might make me sound like a bit of a dickhead but i was expecting people at oxbridge to be smarter - theyre smarter than average by a long way but not as much as youd expect from supposedly the top our country (even the world) has to offer. i havent met many future prime ministers, future poets, future ground-breaking mathematicians. i dunno. tad disappointed.
im not saying im smarter than them. i wanted them to be so much smarter than me that i cry in the shower from insecurity.
>>
>>8532256
source?
>>
Anyone here from Poland?
>>
>>8538120
I feel your pain; except I go to UCLA. Did you take honors analysis with Pugh? If so how was it? His book is phenomenal
>>
>>8541370

(I am the guy you responded to)

I was in the masters in chemistry at CCNY and it was indeed not funded. I was only there one semester. I took 6 credits of masters courses and paid about 3,200. I left after that because I got accepted to the PhD program (funded), in the same school/department.

The classes didn't even transfer lmao. Although one of the profs I took a masters course with is now on my thesis committee.
>>
>>8541370
>>8542252

Adding to my post:
Since I was originally in the masters but changed to the PhD, I had considered just staying in the PhD until you get the master's that comes with the PhD (you get it about halfway through the PhD) and then when I get that masters, leaving and getting a real job in industry or something. I may or may not do that, depending on how my research goes. I probably won't do it unless something goes really wrong. Regardless I'd be funded in the meantime.

You could consider that. But I'm sure it's much harder to get into the PhD program than the masters program, and that if this is your plan, you should keep it to yourself...
>>
Who /UTAustin/ here?

>aerospace engineering
>I like it but I'm just a freshman, I'm not sure how hard I'm going to be fucked in the ass come sophomore year
>>
>>8542268
im aerospace at ut. get ready to spend half your time in WRW senior year
>>
>>8542255

>keep it to myself
Is it pretty cut-throat?

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it, I went to NY and checked out the place, and I have friends that go there, but the price really was just bumping it off my short list. Given what you said I think I'll def apply actually.
>>
>>8538773
Listing Berkeley and U Much with UVA for math, seriously? And UT Austin and UVA above UCLA for math?
Do you know anything?
>>
>>8542307

Well, I don't know firsthand, but I have the suspicion that if you OBVIOUSLY plan to quit halfway through your PhD, you may get fired, and you probably wouldn't be accepted in the first place. I haven't actually asked anybody about this though, it's just my gut feeling
>>
BU for math. Fucking sucks here. Sucks being in class and LITERALLY being able to see MIT.
>>
>>8542347
Math is the same all over, don't let it get to you, you can still network with any of them, you all go to the same bars.
>>
>>8539671
I go to Riverside as an undergrad, and yes it's not terrible for graduate school, but it also depends on what dept

>>8539683
Merced is worse than Riverside :-(
>>
>>8542347
I always wondered how BU and Tuftsfags could stand being so close to Harvard and MIT.
>>
>>8533080

I went to ANU in their science program - I hated it. You might be different, but I had real problems:

The living situation - in the colleges it's much too crazy an atmosphere for me, I made a few friends, but we didn't really gel with the rest of the population. It's kind of "join us, or leave".

The course itself - don't be fooled by prestige. all of the major universities essentially offer the same learning opportunities in your undergraduate years. ANU, USYD, UNSW, Melbourne. It's all the same. just because ANU is ranked highly on some list doesn't mean that you will NECESSARILY get a better education there. I found the physics faculty there to be really knowledgeable and helpful if you reached out, but they didn't really care if you did well or not.

Location - Canberra is shithouse. It's too far from Sydney (where I grew up) to visit for the day, but not far enough to really break free of your high school life. They say it's close to the snow, but its still a 3 hour drive really, it's fucking cold in winter. ANU itself is well located within the city (close to civic, shops ect.).

Social - I found it very easy to Isolate myself. Like I said I made a few friends, but the majority of the time I was walking to class alone, 4 or 5 nights a week I would just be alone in my room, only going out to do stuff on Thursday - Sunday. I later found out that this was a common problem, and that ANU had just decided that it was not worth doing anything about it. Haveing said all that. Join a club or something, they are nice.

Depending on where you live, I would pick Melbourne.
>>
File: 1479314144017.png (248KB, 738x312px) Image search: [Google]
1479314144017.png
248KB, 738x312px
>>
>>8542696
>Washington
>Oregon
What did you expect?
>>
JHU COMPUTER ENGINEERING
>>
Ball State Uni here

5 Straight A's but I'm not even trying. Feels bad man. I just hope I can get into an ok grad school with my high gpa/gre after this.

I feel validated because everyone around me is failing, but instead I just feel like, these are my peers. This is the school I was good enough to get into.... Thus their level of intelligence is equivalent to mine.

How do I get these thoughts out of my head?
How do I just shut up and enjoy my low-tier uni, and accept it for what it is?
>>
>>8542737
>How do I just shut up and enjoy my low-tier uni
you drink and fugg bitches, obviously. if you couldn't get into a real uni there's no point in trying. have fun with your few years.
>>
>>8538120
Sup senpai, UC Berkeley Mech E checking in. How'd finals treat you?
>>
>>8532256
Sauce?
>>
>>8542862
Nevermind, love you anon
>>8536519
>>
u of ottawa

still cant land a job in a big city, i might be useless after all
>>
Auburn for psychology. Neuroscience is my focus and I'm an undergrad researcher in a drug development lab.
>>
>>8535323
>imperial its just r9k
How did you know?
>>
>>8544150
Even the women are autistic at Imperial.
>>
>>8544150
/sci/ memes i suppose.
and anecdotal evidence from mates.

also this:
"Imperial's male–female ratio for undergraduate students is uneven at approximately 64:36 overall[104] and 5:1 or higher in some engineering courses. However, medicine has an approximate 1:1 ratio with biology degrees tending to be higher.[105]"

idk im not being entirely serious
>>
File: 1450043635762.jpg (111KB, 820x820px) Image search: [Google]
1450043635762.jpg
111KB, 820x820px
I gave up ChemE at Imperial to go into UIUC. Am I fucking retarded?
>>
>>8544150
baseless assertions, but i think specialised subjects tend to bring out the worst aspects of the undergraduates in that subject. eg maths students at a uni with a mathematical science focus will probably turn out more autistic than maths students at a general uni. artsy students at a artsy focus uni will be more hipstercunt than artsy students somewhere else.

i know maths/phys/comp students at my uni and i know maths/phys/comp students at imperial and theirs a noticeable difference.
>>
>>8542380
Merced is so new people do not know about it.

Found one:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/eric-zepp-3173064b
>>
>>8542309
In general faggot the word 'math' is never mentioned in that thread; name value is the main point of that post, and in that respect that post is correct.
>>
To any student who thinks of joining a weaker university because he thinks he can study on his own, don't do this.
>>
>>8544354
why not
>>
>>8541376
Econometrics is an easier version of probability and statistics, so you should take the math/statistics versions of those courses. Forget Math 4581 - 3607 is the most useful one you can take. This or similar is fundamental for applied math - MATH 5603.
>>
>>8533554
>Kent
>"Board" instead of "bored"

Seems about right. Oxford here; git gud
>>
>>8544370
Absolutely not worth it. I literally have drunktards and mongloids for professors. Some literally don't study for their lectures, others don't know THE MOST basic shit, you'd be surprised if they got a job in highschool, yet alone uni, and I'm not exaggerating, please believe me. Another standard is to have students 'practice' by having them hold the lectures themselves. Imagine how that sounds coupled with the fact that you went to a shit uni, which primarily attracts people who want a free degree. Studying alone in a shit uni means that you have no one to talk to about the stuff that you're researching, and that professors won't be able to help you, which is a huge disadvantage. Sometimes I'd rather get a straight answer than have to read like 3 books to have a vague idea of one.
>>
>>8544381
t.wat
college?
>>
>>8532256
First semester

Linear Algebra I
A course on Haskell
A course on Java
A basic math course

Linear Algebra is a fucking bitch. Proofs all day every day.
>>
>>8544577
>a course on haskell
literally why
>>
>>8544593
I don't know. It's required. Fuck you.
>>
Got shit a-level grades and got into Staffordshire uni through clearing. Pharmaceutical sciences. Terribly boring, people seem computer generated. But motivation has always been money so I'm gonna stick it out until I run my own Pharmaceutical Company
>>
>>8535742
> Sanctuary Saturdays

You mean where Asian's get to go absolutely mangled on pingers to trance music? Those intellectuals?

Can't talk though because I do the same think lmao
>>
File: Jshit.jpg (210KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Jshit.jpg
210KB, 1024x768px
>>8544577
>A course on Java

>>>/g/tfo
>>
>>8533640
Gonna have to embrace it man. You aren't going to succeed in an engineering program without math.
>>
File: usa_oco_2016.png (545KB, 720x545px) Image search: [Google]
usa_oco_2016.png
545KB, 720x545px
>>8532256
Brigham Young University
Geology

I quit partway through though and started at Utah Valley University. It's not a very prestigious thing to do but despite the fact that I'm Mormon I just couldn't take the overbearing right wing bullshit I got at BYU.

What pushed me over the edge was a professor who tried to debate me about climate change. She actually tried to tell me that CO2 comes from volcanism and wetland emissions and there's not any evidence humans are causing climate change. A GODDAMNED ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE PROFESSOR. This is what BYU qualifies as a good Earth Science education.

I still attended BYU working on an English Lit degree while doubling at UVU for Geology. It's taking more time to graduate but I realized none of my fellow Earth Science students know shit about writing and if you want people to pay attention to you in any science you need to know how to write.

Finished BYU last Spring. Will finish UVU this summer. My mother's dream was to go to BYU so my parents paid for it. I'm paying my own way through UVU.
>>
>>8536430
Jokes on you. They already blocked 4chan.
>>
>>8535776

You missed >>8535698 and the variety of AUS students in here. Shit there's even a Mexican.
>>
I go to one of UW's satellite schools. I'm in the comp e program.
It's chill, I know all of my professors really well, and shoot the shit with them and am able to ask any kind of question.
But at the end of the day, I know I don't go to a real uni and my life is one big fat joke.
>>
>>8536946
Tell me something guys. How's this uni viewed worldwide?
>>
>>8545238
really? where do you go to school?
>>
File: 1448779781865.png (376KB, 940x720px) Image search: [Google]
1448779781865.png
376KB, 940x720px
>>8532256
>What university are you going to and what course are you doing?
University of North Carolina at Greensboro, studying Biological Anthropology

>How do you like it?
Pretty dank.

Originally tried my hand at full blooded STEM and the level of pure rote memorization annoyed me and it felt soulless. I still like it on a semi in-depth level though.

Funny enough people I've met from the anthro program and other programs like it are a lot happier and less angry at the world than STEM majors who all just seemed needlessly angry and felt like they had to prove something to somebody.
>>
>>8545226
consider killing yourself
>>
>>8540759
ayy nigga waddup
>>
>>8545400
sour grapes: the post

Enjoy the lowest of the sciences
>>
Starting in osaka university in april next year for language and math/phys/chem prep.
Then trying for either Tokyo university, Kyoto university or Tokyo institute of technology.
(Mext scholarship grantee)
>>
>>8540955
Matematik, första året. Du då?
>>
File: download.png (19KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
19KB, 225x225px
I should've gone to CC instead.
>>
>>8545906
Thank you, I am.

Can you blame me though for not wanting to work around a bunch of overly hostile turbo autists all day every day in a field of work I don't want to do?
>>
>>8545952

Is it a normal brainlet defence mechanism to call others autistic?
>>
>>8545957
Is it a normal autistic defense mechanism to call others brainlets?
>>
>>8545952
No not at all, I would do exactly the same thing if I was too stupid for STEM
>>
File: 1416323075312.jpg (16KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1416323075312.jpg
16KB, 256x256px
>>8545964
>Not wanting to do something = Inability to do it
Who knew
>>
>>8545968
>anime poster = neckbeard manchild wahh mummy my homework is too hard
who knew
>>
biotechnology in aalborg university.
It feels like a joke desu

I want to switch to molecular bio medicine but I don't know if it's worth switching to despite the insane admission requirements.
>>
>>8545944
What is even the point of attending a low-tier public university?
>>
>>8546033

The word bachelors on a resume instead of Associates. gives you a very expensive leg up.
>>
>>8546298
But the whole point of going to CC isn't an associates, it's transferring to a better school than you normally would have gone to once you're done and getting a bachelor's. Depending on the person, of course.

???
>>
How is Ohio State University for mathematics?
>>
>>8546445
It's nothing special.
>>
>>8546454
Do you go there?
>>
>>8546491
I know several people who either previously did or currently do.
>>
>>8546500
You have any other information about it as a school that you've heard? I'm attending next semester
>>
>>8546505
It's a state school. nuff said
>>
>>8546505
From what I was told, it's terribly traditional and has an almost bestial devotion to football. Academically, it's what one would expect from a large state school in an okay-ish state like Ohio. That is, not too great at anything, but doing well enough to serve the general populace.
>>
>>8546513
Ohio State is not a university that happens to have a football team. Ohio State is a football team that just happens to have a university.

That's why they insist on you calling it THE Ohio State university. Because Ohio State is the football team, and you probably meant THE university part of Ohio State.
>>
>>8546541
cont.

And no, football does not equal mathematical strength. In fact they're probably inverse to each other. How many jocks do you know can even count? Lol
>>
File: caltech.png (39KB, 595x594px) Image search: [Google]
caltech.png
39KB, 595x594px
Caltech
Physics
10/10 my asshole has never been wider
Thread posts: 330
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.