[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is STEM the way of the future, or just a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

File: STEM1.png (155KB, 1692x720px)
STEM1.png
155KB, 1692x720px
Currently in my second year of college. I aiming for a Bachelors degree in CompSci. Did i just fall for a meme, or it is what one should do?

What about Quantum, how different is it from CompSci?
>>
i would of thought here at /sci/ someone would truly have some type of insight, rather than reddit...
>>
>>8422636
The only person who knows what you should do is you. If you are getting into STEM just to get a meme career then you aren't STEM material. If something in STEM interests you then pursue that degree, don't just do it for the memes. There is no one answer to everyone's life problems.
>>
File: tech.png (174KB, 900x742px) Image search: [Google]
tech.png
174KB, 900x742px
>>8423132
no problem, rather know what i am getting into. If everyone is jumping on the CompSci wagon, then the demand wouldn't be so demanding. That is the answer i am looking for, as from the ones who are in the field, or better yet ones that jumped from going into CS and went into quantum
>>
>>8422636
>I aiming for a Bachelors degree in CompSci

I am so sorry
>>
>>8423168
This. Your ambition is as weak as your grammar.
>>
>>8423183
Only on an anonymous image board would someone say something like this, what if the person with the bachelor becomes more productive and does more than you will ever do in their life? I don't judge people by what the aim to do, but rather by what they have done.

My goal in life is to do a master's in biomedical engineering and perhaps start my own company of biomedical products. What matters in education is pursuing a domain that you like regardless of what it is, of course one could decide that a bachelor in history might not intrinsically contribute as much to society as someone pursuing an engineering degree, but that doesn't give you the right to be condescending to others.

CompSci is and will be a the center of the technological revolution that our world is experiencing, anybody graduating with a B.Sc regardless of the major should have some knowledge on the subject.

EDIT: I didn't reread myself so sorry for any mistakes, back to studying now.
>>
>>8423210
I bet you feel like a real big tough guy. I bet that felt good to post that.
>>
>>8423216
Go back to /pol/
>>
File: InnerUniverse.jpg (41KB, 510x554px) Image search: [Google]
InnerUniverse.jpg
41KB, 510x554px
>>8423210
Good shit man, this is the only response worth reading on here. This is what /sci/ should be about.
>>
File: 1470440711074.png (85KB, 388x218px) Image search: [Google]
1470440711074.png
85KB, 388x218px
STEAM is the future

Science wouldn't exist without Art.
>>
>>8423238
So back to Art we all go?

Its is the evolution of art that STEM branches off of
>>
>>8423144
>If everyone is jumping on the CompSci wagon, then the demand wouldn't be so demanding

Anyone with a STEM major can easily get a CS job. Even Religious Studies and Classics majors have been known to land CS jobs.

>>8423210
>anybody graduating with a B.Sc regardless of the major should have some knowledge on the subject.

Yeah but they do not need to take classes on it to gain the knowledge. CS is one of the easiest subjects to self study.
>>
>>8423216
Not him, but you know you've already lost when you have to resort to emotional tactics.
>>
>>8423309
>CS is one of the easiest subjects to self study.

Agreed, only issue, if you do not have a degree you will not get paid well, as if you had one.
>>
>>8423280
Yes, instead we should focus on Art, Industry, Divinity and Science

Or AIDS
>>
As a Computer Engineer with an MEng there's only one piece of advice in my opinion, and that's to make sure you actually want this. I've seen too many people go into STEM careers because they were convinced to go into it because of money or career prospects, and they hate it; they don't want to do their work, they don't want to understand it, they just want to do it, so they go through academia getting their grades doing their work and at the end of it they hate their job because they got a shit-tier job because they have no interest in their field and they get nowhere as a result because the market is incredibly competitive and personal projects/experience/interest very often trumps marks and classifications. If you like the field or are even remotely interested in it, that's great because it's a starting point that can be built upon over time.

Also, remember that a degree isn't always implicitly required, CS in particular is very much based on experience and there's more than one way to get into the field.
>>
>>8422636
If you want to go into quantum(physics?) you should find out about what kind of computer programming languages they use and pick up physics classes as electives. learn about what the important problems in quantum mechanics are and the role of computation in solving them. getting to the edge of the envelope of physics will take you a long time, and you will most likely end up collaborating with someone who knows the physics but not the implementation. so if you want to make a contribution in that field learn how to model physical systems in a computer language

what the government/ board of education should really say is that there is a shortage of excellent stem graduates, people who can actually do meaningful things with their degree. there's a lot of people in stem now and there is alot of mediocrity, and at the other extreme there is a lot of caring only about grades. People will stand on someone else's shoulders and cheat if it means they can get a 4.0, which can end up being programmers who can't write proper code, engineers who can't design a proper bridge,..., but their degree says they can. more emphasis on universities pumping out as many graduates as they can rather than good graduates.

there's quite a lot of people in science and engineering who study it, and when they tell people what their major is they get told "oh you must be soooo smart" and that boosts their ego when they haven't done anything. those people start believing that they are above everyone because they are in stem

why did you pick CompSci in the first place?
>>
>>8422636
Uh. Stem has been replaced with STEAM because the ARTS are also important!
>>
>>8423210
No,u
>>
>>8424665
>why did you pick CompSci in the first place?

So people will say"gee,you must be soo smart"
>>
Nope you did alright OP. 20 years from now, no one is gonna hire your ass if you don't know a few programming languages. you think comp sci is just gonna disappear? hell no it's just in its babby form
>>
>>8423631
Great shit
>>
>>8424597
Not going to lie, the money, and demand.

but as >>8423631 said, is right. Just that if an when i do get there, i could change it up and get into what ever i would like afterwards. I have two mediocre degrees now, so a major one would be fantastic. Jack of all trades would be i deal, also i could sale myself off in any position.
>>
Guys, you are all forgetting the importance of language, culture, and history. You can't truly be educated without knowing about them. Therefore, it needs to be STLEAMCH!!!! Yay!
>>
> what about quantum

lol
>>
Do science. Focus on computational methods. It's rewarding to study and it'll get you a job if your not an idiot about it. (I.e. make sure you learn employable skills while you're doing it).

Make sure you realize that college is a means to an end, so focus on what you want that end to be.
>>
File: 1422408926088.gif (32KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1422408926088.gif
32KB, 250x250px
>>8422636
>CompSci
Gee anon, can you figure out what's wrong with my computer?
>>
>>8423210
> CompSci is and will be a the center of the technological revolution

More like science, physics in particular, but really advances in semiconductor engineering is at the center of the technological progression the world is experiencing. We've mostly been refining techniques. The leap from vacuum tubes to transistors, and by extension ICs. That started a revolution which has lead to the hyperminiaturization on silicon. We're more at the tail end of paradigm. Processing, at a handful of nanometers, breaks down due to quantum tunnelling effects at the logic gates. Unless someone makes the next transistor like leap, we're pretty much plateauing.

Software plateaued years ago. You can comfortably run Win10 on older hardware. My desktop is 5 years old. Handheld is a poor excuse for multitasking, with more and more bloat wrapped in antialiasing.
>>
File: 1463173033067.jpg (1MB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1463173033067.jpg
1MB, 1800x1200px
>>8426736
>Software plateaued years ago.

You don't understand what you're talking about.

1. Computer Science is not same as "software".

2. There are huge breakthroughs to be made in artificial intelligence. It's less than a year ago when an AI won one of the best Go players in the world for the first time. And there are still dozens of domains where humans still outperform computer.

3. There are a lot of computational problems that are still very inefficient to solve. For example if someone comes up with a way to solve some problem in [math]\mathcal{O}(1.5^n)[/math] instead of [math]\mathcal{O}(2^n)[/math], it makes a huge difference. Particularly a much larger difference than building a faster computer.
>>
>>8422636
You wont be begging for a job anon.

>>8423309
>CS jobs
You mean programmer jobs.

There is a difference. I have no degree and I have a programmer job. Everyone can land one of those jobs. Making apps, front-end, backend, gameplay programmer, ect...
You don't even need to be good at math, just some basic analytical thinking skills.

But those aren't the jobs CS degrees are for. CS degrees are for jobs more demanding in other scientific fields. Often you need to work together with other engineers or need to have good math skills.
>>
>>8426736
>Software plateaued years ago
You're retarded. We're not just talking about making apps for the play store.

Automation requires software. Who is gonna program all these self driving cars, robots, satellites, ect...

CS is also research. Research into AI, computer vision, better compression algorithms, ect...
>>
>>8426897
>There are huge breakthroughs to be made in artificial intelligence

>>>/g/tfo kid
>>
>>8426897

> 1. Computer Science is not same as "software".

Most CS grads don't do research. Most computer "scientists" are software engineers. Most software engineers are more architects and construction workers: building scaffolding and data conduits, writing skins around databases, importing libraries they didn't write, using someone else's mathematical abstractions because they only vaguely remember matrix multiplication. Calculus? What the fuck is that? They shuffle through billions of KLOC to extend existing logic and pray they don't unravel some untenable ball of yarn left by the last guy. In particular, most of Silicon Valley works on shit that won't last and doesn't matter. Practicing meaningless interview questions just to get hired. Tremendous wastes of potential.

> 2. There are huge breakthroughs to be made in artificial intelligence.

Careful, you're in danger of revealing your embarassment. If you even have a menial grasp of the surface tension of this concept, you would know that machine learning is nothing more than a bag of tricks. How does the computer identify a cat? Oh, some clever math on a 2D matrix. Does it know what a cat is? No. It has no capacity for understanding, intuition, or generalization. There's clearly headroom, but don't fall into the popsci trope. It's ML not AI.

> 3. There are a lot of computational problems that are still very inefficient to solve.

This is purely mathematical (which CS is a subset) and strictly academic. Like I said, very few CS grads go into pure research. Those aren't problems that businesses solve. Further to point, private industry could give a shit about efficiency at all. The average webpage size is 2MB which is atrocious for mostly text. The web is becoming almost unusable with extraneous kludge.
>>
>>8426941

> You're retarded
Thanks for the complement.

> We're not just talking about making apps for the play store.
Yet what are 95% of CS grads working on? Shit. Useless shit. Squandering their intellectual potential chasing VC skirts in an attempt to cash out on "who-gives-a-shit-about-the-idea-is-it-worth-money?"

> Automation requires software.
Yes, it does. Not disputing that.

> self driving cars, robots, satellites, ect
Self driving anything is going to require effectively a machine which is sentient to cover all of those dark corner cases (rain, snow, gravel roads, etc).

The term "robots" has been bastardized by popsci to mean virtually anything technologically magic, so I don't have a hard target to respond to. And satellites, code, yep, but it probably isn't revolutionary. Much of it structures across well established libraries.

> Research into AI, computer vision, better compression algorithms
Computer science research is a subset of mathematics, and as I stated, compared to the volume of those versed in CS, very few actually do it. Does your OS actually anticipate your responses? Does understand the data it processes? Wake me up when you're not just clicking boxes to open more boxes.
>>
File: 8e072cf1698170fcc7a598f5c6449e53.jpg (113KB, 736x1104px) Image search: [Google]
8e072cf1698170fcc7a598f5c6449e53.jpg
113KB, 736x1104px
>>8427042
>Most CS grads don't do research. Most computer "scientists" are software engineers.
What most CS grads do for a living doesn't change the definition of CS. It is not same as Software Engineering. A degree in SE gives a separate set of skills than a degree in CS. Anyone can work in a coding job, though.

>How does the computer identify a cat? Oh, some clever math on a 2D matrix. Does it know what a cat is? No. It has no capacity for understanding, intuition, or generalization. There's clearly headroom, but don't fall into the popsci trope. It's ML not AI.
It's you, my friend, who fell for the popsci tropes. Here's something you didn't know: An artificial intelligence doesn't need to have a "capacity for understanding, intuition, or generalization". You're thinking of HAL9000 when you should be thinking about AlphaGo: An example of an artificial intelligence that uses machine learning.
>>
>>8427236
>Anyone can work in a coding job, though.
is /sci/'s eternal insistence that "coding is trivial/anyone can do coding" literally only due to jealousy that coders are the only cool STEMmers and that top coders can earn millions if not billions of dollars while even top research scientists barely break 250,000$/year?

Because that's sure what it looks like to me.
>>
>>8423183
>implying you're not talking out of spite
>>
>>8423210
Oh god. Your starting to sound exactly like other cmpsci majors. Get out while you still can.

My two cents. I'm a senior in chemical engineering. If I wanted a job/study chemical engineering it would be hard to do on my own without an accredited school to back me up. If I wanted to learn how to be a code monkey (which I do in my spare time) it's not too hard to teach oneself that. So to me it's a waste of time and money when if that's what your interested in you could teach yourself faster and learn exactly what you want to know.
>>
>>8427263
Same jealousy problem with us, med students. Good thing we're not associated with this fedora gay STEM club though.
>>
>>8427042
>importing libraries they didn't write

what is so bad at using libraries that someone else wrote? are you retarded?
>>
>>8427287
Nothing. That's exactly what you should be doing. The point was that it's not science. It's engineering.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.