[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is teleportation possible?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5

File: trekteleporting.jpg (236KB, 1000x751px) Image search: [Google]
trekteleporting.jpg
236KB, 1000x751px
So far in the 20th and early 21st centuries there have been meteoric advancements in manipulating the speed of electrons and photons via semiconductor technology. This has in turn greatly enhanced our capability to process and analyze information at lightning speeds.

But on the other hand, very little progress has been made transferring physical objects (with masses greater than an electron) from A to B.

So it would be quite extraordinary to actually be able to transport goods, shipments and even people across the planet instantaneously.

But how could this be achieved? Some kind of macroscopic manipulation of space/time itself?

Your thoughts on this subject matter /sci/?
>>
Teleportation will probably never be possible at our macroscopic level.
>>
teleportation is impossible

/thread
>>
>>8217837
>>8217838

>analyzing stars is impossible :^)
>meteorites don't fall from the sky :^)
>flying is impossible :^)
>space flight is impossible :^)
>black holes are impossible :^)
>splitting the atom is impossible :^)
>>
Its probably impossible but depending on the concept, there may arise different kind of problems.
Similar to ideas like mind uploading you can never know, if the person that is "teleported" is the original or just a perfect copy that is assembled after the original died in the process of "disintegrating/transferring".

Look up Theseus' paradox
>>
File: smiley emoticon.jpg (17KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
smiley emoticon.jpg
17KB, 325x325px
>>8217872
> breaking the laws of physics is possible
>>
>>8217835
Star Trek tech doesn't teleport. It officially "transports" which is a different type of technology in the Star Trek universe.
>>
>>8217924
>implying there aren't any laws of physics that we just haven't discovered yet
>>
>>8217945
> w-what if theres magic guise :'o

Typical illiterate manchildren backpedalling with zero scientific rigor or evidence.
Back to your board now tinfoilkid >>>/x/
>>
>>8217951
>Zero scientific rigour
Speak for yourself.
>>
>>8217972
Oh so you do have evidence for teleportation ? Good I can't wait to see it.
>>
>>8217979
not him, but

http://www.cnet.com/news/scientists-achieve-reliable-quantum-teleportation-for-the-first-time/

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2015/09/30/the-top-5-scientific-examples-showing-that-teleportation-could-be-real/

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/139024/20160307/german-scientists-succesfully-teleport-classical-information-using-laser-beams.htm

https://www.fas.org/sgp/eprint/teleport.pdf

Teleportation isnt magic
>>
>>8217924
Well there were time when spce flight, black holes, the movement of galaxies,...... "broke the laws of physics"
>>
>>8217994
All of those were engineering problems that did not exceed the limits of physics. Teleporation is literally manchildren fantasies.

now go back >>>/x/
>>
>>8218000
discussing with you is awesome
>>
File: pepe bored.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
pepe bored.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>>8217990
Communicating electrons is the same as transporting matter.
No wonder why all the links you post are cheap popsci garbage sites and nothing respectable
>>
>>8218007
sorry but this is a science board and when you're asked to present your evidence, you should be able to provide it so it's a sensible discussion within the boundaries of scientific rigor.

if you wanna discuss shit with zero evidence and purely based on illiterate manchildren fantasies, then the right board for you is >>>/x/
>>
>>8218000
>black holes
>movement of galaxies
>are engineering problems
Ok, so you dont know what you are talking about. Thanks for missing the point and spouting nonsense as a reply
>>
>>8217910
The closest we can get to true teleportation would require A) the ability to induce quantum entanglement of every particle in the item to be teleported, or B) Portal-to-portal wormhole technology, similar to Stargate or Autobot landbridge technology.
>>
>>8217835
well if you said 300 years ago that a word that you spoke in the us can be 1ms later in europe they would have called you insane. so idk, could be, could be not. not with our knowlege of today.
>>
>>8218019
*also i meant the colonies not the us
>selffacepalm.jpg
>>
>>8218008
Oh sorry, that I didnt spoonfed you well enough, dear frogposter. Feel free to look it up yourself, or just follow the links in those "garbage sites". Or maybe dont ignore the actual study included there.
You could also try to refute what was postet instead of sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "pop-sci garbage!"

Point is, everybody should know that teleportation isnt magic. There are many scientific studies and experiments on it. So it is wrong to say, it has "Zero scientific rigour"
>>
>>8218013
>>8218024
shitposting is NOT an argument nor evidence
Your tinfoil friends want you back >>>/x/
>>
>>8218028
>dismissing scientific studies
>not knowing about decade old experiments
>not refuting the points that were made
>>>/x/
>>
>>8218028
again:
Thanks for missing the point and spouting nonsense as a reply

Feel free to come back if you want to tell me how certain observations didnt shake on the models at that time
>>
>>8218024
>There are many scientific studies and experiments on [teleportation]

hahaha holy shit

fuck off >>>/x/
>>
>>8218050
There are.
I'm sure you are just autistic/trolling. But for anybody who someone lived under a rock for the last 20 years and is genuinely interested:

http://web.physics.ucsb.edu/~quopt/exp.pdf

https://www.fas.org/sgp/eprint/teleport.pdf

Exp. Articles:
D. Bouwmeester et al. Nature 390, 575-9 (1997) (photons)
D. Boschi et al. Phys. Rev. Lett. 80, 1121-1125 (1998) (photons)
A. Furusawa et al. Science 282, 706-709 (1998) (coherent light field)
M.A. Nielsen et al. Nature 396, 52-55 (1998) (nuclear magnetic resonance)
I. Marcikic et al. Nature 421, 509-513 (2003) (photons, long distance)
M. Riebe et al. Nature 429, 734-737 (2004) (trapped calcium ions)
M.D. Barret et al. Nature 429, 737-739 (2004) (trapped beryllium ions)
R. Ursin et al. Nature 430, 849 (2004) (photons, long distance)

Theor. Articles:
G. Brassard Physica D 120 43-47 (1998) Teleportation as a quantum computation

Gottesman and I Chuang Nature 402 390-393 (1999), teleportation as a computational primitive

X. Zhou, D. Leung, I. Chuang Quantum gate constructions from teleportation-like primiitve

L. Vaidman quant-ph/0111124 Using teleportation to measure nonlocal variables

Anybody who dismisses scientific studies without giving any reasoning:
>>>/x/
>>
>>8218073
don't feed the troll dude
>>
>>8218075
Just wanted to contribute actual articles that deal with the topic of this thread after all that shitposting in here
>>
>>8218038
>>8218042
Come back when you get some elementary physics so you can stop confusing transferring electrons and relocating matter.

Meanwhile, >>>/x/
>>
>>8218073
>quantum teleportation means "sci-fi" teleportation

HOLY SHIT HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
holy fuck hahahahahahahahahahahahahha
ahahahahahahahahahahahaha
ahahahahahahahahahahahaha
oh god you're dumb
>>
>>8218073
here's to show, once again, that any nutjob talking sci-fi nonsense WILL post all the unrelated quantum physics articles he can get his hands on in order to pretend to know physics
>>
>>8218101
>>8218104
>shifting the goalposts

(You) can go to /x/. The rest of us can talk about real teleportation
>>
>>8218111
>tell him teleportation is nonsense
>he posts unrelated quantum physics articles
>tell him that's unrelated

>HURR SHIFTING THE GOALPOSTS! AD HOMINEM! BULVERISM!

you're a fucking autist. i'm not going to make it easy for you to shit this board up with you pretend-scientist game. fuck off
>>
>>8218110
>dismisses scientific studies without any reasoning
>says other people are the ones who pretend to know physics

>>>/x/
>>
>>8218116
what am I dismissing exactly? all those articles are serious research talking about quantum teleportation

quantum teleportation is NOT sci-fi teleportation where you send people/objects through time and space
>>
>>8218116
>dismisses scientific studies
No one is dismissing the studies you retard.
>>
>>8218115
>"teleportation is nonsense"
>show him articles that say otherwise
>he doesnt read any of them
>resorts to goalpost shifting by using his own very specific definition of "teleportation"
>resorts to name calling

Please refute the articles I posted, STFU, or go back to /x/
>>
>>8218125
>his own very specific definition of teleportation

no, it's yours:
>transferring physical objects (with masses greater than an electron) from A to B.

the topic of this thread is the ridiculous sci-fi teleportation. you said it yourself. you're a lying piece of shit, and all you want is to feel smart by playing pretend scientist.

fuck off
>>
>>8218118
>>8218119
So we can agree, that teleportation isnt magic and a very real phenomenon. Thanks
Feel free to talk about sci-fi on /x/ or /tv/
>>
>>8218128
quantum teleportation is NOT
>transferring physical objects (with masses greater than an electron) from A to B.
you retard

that's like making a thread saying
>We know fire exists, and how to produce it, but little research has been done in firebending. How would you learn this?
>>
>>8218128
>So we can agree, that teleportation isnt magic and a very real phenomenon. Thanks
It's just a name. Quantum teleportation has nothing to do with what OP meant:
>But on the other hand, very little progress has been made transferring physical objects
>>
>>8218133
>>8218136
Feel free to talk about sci-fi on /x/ or /tv/
>>
>>8218138
>Feel free to talk about sci-fi on /x/ or /tv/
So we can agree that the whole thread belongs there? Thanks.
>>
>>8218138
Look, if you're still going to troll or act retarded, that's fine.
- Swear
- Ad hominem; Call people names
- Don't provide counter-arguments
- Reject realism and the scientific consensus
That's ok.
Just don't loop.
Looping is cancer.

Personal incredulity and the argument from ignorance are fallacies. You're ignorant.
You imply you have no knowledge of the other kinds, therefore they don't exist.
That is wrong irrational.
:D
>>
>>8218127
>strawmanning
>baseless assumptions
>namecalling

Please refute the articles I posted, STFU, or go back to /x/
>>
>>8218142

>But on the other hand, very little progress has been made transferring physical objects (with masses greater than an electron) from A to B.

>So it would be quite extraordinary to actually be able to transport goods, shipments and even people across the planet instantaneously.

>But how could this be achieved? Some kind of macroscopic manipulation of space/time itself?

this is a retarded popsci question
fuck off
>>
>>8218141
Where did I commit an ad hominem? tell me!

>Reject realism and the scientific consensus
I just provided actual studies about real concept of teleportation. You guys want to talk about sci-fi. There is nothing wrong or dumb about that, but please do so on /x/ or better /tv/

>Don't provide counter-arguments
for what exactly?

this guy gets it.
>>8218140
>>
>>8218153
I take it you don't have high reading comprehension?
I can post a test to check your knowledge of scientific principles and you can share the link of your results, timestamped of course.
:D

You have offered zero counter-point, zero counter evidence.
Therefore I see no reason to continue with you if only I have something to intellectually contribute.

Your denialism is fallacious.
>>
>>8218142
For example, this article: https://www.fas.org/sgp/eprint/teleport.pdf flat out says that quantum teleportation is transfer of information, not matter. Haven't you read your own sources?
>>
>>8218161
I did. Some guy itt said that teleportation had no scientific rigor. It does.
Again, if you want to talk about stuff that appears in movies, I recommend /tv/

>>8218160
>You have offered zero counter-point, zero counter evidence.
Did you read my question?
>for what exactly?
>>
>>8218180
4chan is for 13-25 year olds.
Reddit is for 22-35 year olds.
Very rarely are there any top level graduates online in forums anymore.
They jump to conclusions, straw man and contradict well known consensus-based concepts, and in some areas, they even reject axioms.

They don't seem to understand the importance of coherency or source.

In this case, anon straw mans and then refuses to point to a source, just dictating anons memory justifies anons emotional retort and denial.

Debate etiquette calls for references, which I posted, and logical arguments without presumptions, which I posted, but I doubt anyone will take LOGIC for what it's worth when people can try to rely on self-serving biases and interpretations.
>>
>>8218184
This is an anonymous imageboard. Please understand my confusion about what points you want to have a counter-argument for
>>
>>8218189
Well, you'd probably make a good Pragmatist. Leaving ethos and pathos out as emotional and instinctual "convincing" of the consistency of any narrative through rhetoric, you are left with logos, but that gets to be tricky as well if you are not careful.
But, regardless of any narratives consistency, it has to reflect the world at least for the intent of the narrative.
Maths are fun, and surely can be "useful to be believed" but one of its strongest points is this:

All we ever have is a story, and the story is never the world, but the way we approach it is by making the pathways (narratives) in our brain first (connecting diverse narratives as consistently as possible if you are a mathematician, and by your feels if you are everyone else), then we check them against the other pathways (narratives) for consistency. But ultimately for them to be useful we have to see if they reflect the world, which assumes the narrative comes first. In reality, it is a recursion, and our givens are just recursions in equilibrium, not some magical platonic forms. The fault is that we only know our narratives and we always mistake them for the world.
The world is not the picture in our heads. It is out of conveneience that we think so.

So, I feel your frustration. Cutting out the informal first is noble, but necessary. Finding consistency in narratives not readily accessible to your senses, however, is where the effort pays off.

That takes sobriety, and it is no fun to be around a bunch of drunks.
>>
>>8218180
That has never been proven.

Intellectual (me):1
Pseudo-intellectual:0

I am an atheist as well.
I'm just an educated atheist.
Here are my beliefs:
Empiricism, falsifiability, fallacy checking, the scientific method, the socratic method, humility, scientific consensus, etc.

I don't believe in jumping to conclusions or siding with an unproven concept and calling it proven with emotional fervor.
That's irrational.
The only rational thing is to remain neutral until something is proven true with experimentation or some form of evidence.
Presumption is never evidence.
>>
>Shitposting this hard on a /sci/

wow you guys are drunk go fap or something
>>
>>8218180
>I did. Some guy itt said that teleportation had no scientific rigor. It does.
So you walk into an obvious pop-sci thread, and assume that someone talking about no scientific rigor in teleportation must have certainly had quantum teleportation in mind, not the kind that OP meant. Ok.
>>
>>8218192
>>8218197
Thanks for your copypastas
>>
>>8217835
It's clearly possible on a physical level, given sufficiently powerful technology, as we are just made of atoms, that in theory can be ripped apart from each other and reassembled elsewhere.

The problem is of a law of identity. If you get ripped apart, you are quite literally getting killed every time you do it, and whatever is reassembled isn't really you in any meaningful sense.
>>
>>8218206
Just provided some sources that talked about the closest thing we have to star trek teleportation, showing that teleportation isnt just some bullshit.

If you want to talk about sci-fi or magic:
>>>/x/
>>>/tv/
>>
File: WhyDoesGod.jpg (107KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
WhyDoesGod.jpg
107KB, 450x338px
>>8217910
Scientific problem:
How to transport food to people living in the desert instantaneously, without loss of nutrition

Solution A:
Develop teleportation device to beam food thousands of miles

Solution B:
Don't live in the fucking desert.

Which is the simpler solution?
>>
>>8218197
You are out of the game, that's what you wanted.
I'll spend some of my energy to tell you a few things.
First, you are one adorable monkey to my eyes, a really stupid one, since what you just said is wrong, since you can talk about math using words, one plus one is two, and you can understand nature without understanding math, you drop an apple, it falls and so on :)
a small tiny lecture to you, understand it.

And since you are not in, you don't want to know how to.. for example know how to calculate how to get your dream job? Like I have.. or.. How to be the perfect father?
Those are all states of everything in existence, plausible ones.

And yes, I am aware this is waste of time, like trying to teach algebra to a dog, but to others here who don't get this, be humble, don't attack me, but the theories, we will never be finished, but we can use these for literally anything..

be smart, for once in your life at least.
>>
>>8218248
>You are out of the game, that's what you wanted.
>I'll spend some of my energy to tell you a few things.
>First, you are one adorable monkey to my eyes, a really stupid one, since what you just said is wrong, since you can talk about math using words, one plus one is two, and you can understand nature without understanding math, you drop an apple, it falls and so on :)
>a small tiny lecture to you, understand it.
>And since you are not in, you don't want to know how to.. for example know how to calculate how to get your dream job? Like I have.. or.. How to be the perfect father?
>Those are all states of everything in existence, plausible ones.
>And yes, I am aware this is waste of time, like trying to teach algebra to a dog, but to others here who don't get this, be humble, don't attack me, but the theories, we will never be finished, but we can use these for literally anything..
>be smart, for once in your life at least.

thanks for the addition to the folder
>>
File: secret_space_program.jpg (78KB, 900x499px) Image search: [Google]
secret_space_program.jpg
78KB, 900x499px
>>8217835
>manipulation of space/time itself?

Yes, kind of; engineering the unified field. The physics and technology is known for more than half a century but has been kept top secret because it can be weaponized. You also can no longer 'foia' the government because after President Nixon's 1969 purge it is now held by a private transnational consortium which is part of the so-called 'Breakaway Civilization'. Transdimensional physics is now private intellectual property and academia will be out of the loop until 'hell' freezes over..

"We already have the means to travel among the stars, but these technologies are locked up in black projects and it would take an act of God to ever get them out to benefit humanity."

Clue for analytical historians + mathematical physicists (avoid Google): duckduckgo.com/?q=Gabriel+Kron+tensor
>>
>>8218370
t. tesla wannabee
>>
>>8218370
>I had to revive a dead popsci thread to pretend to be smart
fuck off
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.