[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Maths >s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: 1438406190281.jpg (32KB, 552x624px) Image search: [Google]
1438406190281.jpg
32KB, 552x624px
>Maths
>s
>>
>Mathematics
>s
It's still plural when you shorten it, you dumb fuck.
>>
File: squit.gif (23KB, 188x275px) Image search: [Google]
squit.gif
23KB, 188x275px
>>8077806
>mathematics is plural
>>
>>8077806
What's your favorite mathematic?
>>
Honestly, I just think it sounds stupid to say "maths". I understand why, but ultimately you sound illiterate and you have a lisp.
>>
Honestly, I just think it sounds stupid to say "math". I understand why, but ultimately you sound illiterate and you have a lisp.
>>
>>8077864
>>8077868
thanks for telling us 2 times anon.
Also seems like you're a bit self-conscious anon.
>>
>>8077815
>>8077829
Mathematics comes from the latin mathematica, which is plural. Before it was used it was called mathematic (singular)

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=mathematic
>>
File: Screenshot_20160516-014326.png (266KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160516-014326.png
266KB, 1440x2560px
>>8077963
If you notice they are different, and that we clearly are not the same anon.
>>
>>8077815
>physics
>physic
>>
Why is mathematics and physics plural but biology and chemistry are you? I'm not making an argument I'm actually curious.
>>
>>8078040
*are not?
My phone is seriously retarded
>>
ITT people that don't do math or physics
>>
>British vs. American English

>>>/int/
>>
>>8077968
>etymology is the be all and end all of semantics
Please go.
>>
>>8078257
>British english vs Incorrect english

wew lad
>>
>>8078795

Look, if you're still going to troll or act retarded, that's fine.
- Swear
- Ad hominem; Call people names
- Don't provide counter-arguments
- Reject realism and the scientific consensus
That's ok.
Just don't loop.
Looping is cancer.

Personal incredulity and the argument from ignorance are fallacies. You're ignorant.
You imply you have no knowledge of the other kinds, therefore they don't exist.
That is wrong irrational.
:D
>>
>>8078832
Fag.
>>
>>8078832
Etymology can be related to semantics.
Etymology and semantics are different things.
Words gain and lose meanings over time.
A word having a meaning in the past is no indication that it has it now.
>>8077968

>Swear
My argument didn't do this.
>Ad hominem
My argument didn't do this, but yours did.
>Don't provide counter-arguments
I was halfway past being contrary, but I'll secede this.
Though your argument doesn't do this either.
>Reject realism
My argument didn't do this, but yours did.
>Reject the scientific consensus
My argument didn't do this.

>Just don't loop.
>don't point out that my argument doesn't defeat yours
:^)
>>
File: 1463208967934.jpg (37KB, 520x496px) Image search: [Google]
1463208967934.jpg
37KB, 520x496px
>>8078040
all these words come from ancient greek
mathematica, physica, biologica, chemica (im not sure about chemistry but cba to check, i think ultimately it comes from arabic [al-chem or something] which became alchemy which became chemistry)
along with any -ic or -ics word (e.g. politics, economics ect)

however in ancient greek words are pluralised with -a. hence latins thought many of these words were plural (roughly speaking). hence they became """"""""""plural""""""".

as a brit, if anyone tells you mathematics is plural shit on his face. but "maths" is a fine abbreviation of "mathematics". i dont know why people even talk about this so much
>>
>I'm American, born and raised, but I prefer the sound of "maths" over "math"
>I say/type "maths" whenever I think I can get away with it (mainly online and with close friends/family)

I don't even like Europeans, and I've never been to the UK. I don't know why, it just sounds nicer with the [math]s[/math].
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.